Windows Support Forum

Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Q: Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-access-only-with-wireless-using-windows-vista.194148/
Relevancy 86.43%

My laptop has no problem connecting to my Linksys wireless router at home but when I get to work I have trouble with our Cisco Aeronet access point First I figured it was the network so I hardwired into the gateway That worked fine What happens on the wireless is I get an IP address and can ping the default gateway with no problem but I can get no internet or ping it I even tried pinging the IP addresses of web sites thinking it might be a DNS issue but no success there either I ve tried downloading Broadcom wireless utilities Utility Only Vista Access Using Wireless Windows Local to see if it may be just a compatibility issue with the windows utility but none of the Broadcom utilities will run Local Access Only Using Windows Vista Wireless Utility on Vista Of Note The Access Point runs to seperate SSIDs One is unsecure the other uses bit encryption I have tried connecting to the secure SSID with the code but my windows utility does not allow me to use bit encyption That is another reason I was trying to find another rd party utility to run Since the windows utility and my card both work fine with my Linksys router at home I am left to assume that it may be a compatibility with either my card or Vista and the Cisco AP I have tried downloading the latest drivers for my card but none of that helped My question to you would be are there any windows updates that may fix this issue Or are there any other wireless utilities that are compatible with bit encryption that will run on Vista nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-access-only-using-windows-vista-wireless-utility.781051/
Relevancy 78.69%

I have a hp running vistahome premium not sure why the internet connection has chaged but it can not go on line wireless It will connect to a land line I have a second pc- dell with vista and can pick up access both local and internet and I compare the two Under network and sharing my wireless identifies as unidentified network and defaults to public the quot customize quot option does not work under Network name where you should be able to type in the network name- will highlight but will not let you delete or retype and below under network icon there is no change box (wireless) only local access: vista: to click on it seems as if it is missing therefore there is no way to connect even though you can see that there is a connection the network remains unidentified How would one fix this cleary there is missing capeablility The LAN works fine with all the above items in tact however the WLAN does not have these features working no ablity to change the unidentifed network or the icon which shows up as a computer-the change box is missing The funny thing is my son can take his computer to another house and can go wireless just fine Here in our home the apple airport and prior the lynxis worked and at some point stopped working

A:vista: access: local only (wireless)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Can I ask what wireless are you using, and how far away from the main box are you.

Tom

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/288219-vista-access-local-only-wireless.html
Relevancy 78.69%

REcently I have laptop hp pavilion dv us - cox internet which i can easily connect to internet via regular cable - a linksys befw s v router Eventhough i can connect to wireless-local only access vista internet via cable i can not do it with this router I also tried to connect router to my computer too no solution The funny thing is I have a neighbor who has a linksys router with no password I can connect to his her internet and access internet which I am doing right now For my router i tried everything thats written in here -i uninstalled norton antivirus properly by their own removal tool - made tcp ipv and arrangements that vista wireless-local access only are suggested - tried both private and public options that are suggested - made arrangements with power options - made all automatically get dns ip whatever options quot on quot - updated all of my hardware to their latest versions etc nothing could solve my problem and i have been working for it for - vista wireless-local access only hours now PLEASE HELP ME nbsp

Relevancy 78.69%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

A:Local Access Only on Wireless With Vista

Originally Posted by dolsen

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Normally if the W/R sees the net, i.e.shows networks available in the right hand side of the Task Bar, then it usually means you are not entering the correct login details. Your login details must be exactly what your ISP gave you. For example check to see if you have to use Caps and not lower case.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/300742-local-access-only-wireless-vista.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I have searched New Only Router Vista Wireless Access Local - very long and hard to solve this problem on my own I recently upgraded my Comcast service to Wireless internet I installed the netgear router on the computer I am New Wireless Router - Local Access Only Vista having trouble with currently HP Pavilion dv notebook PC Everything seemed fine probably because I still had the Ethernet cord connecting me to the internet and then I took the cord out and connected to my network Immediately it said quot Unidentified Network - Local Access Only quot I have unistalled Norton and then restarted my computer Restarted the router Switched off the IPV put then turned it back on because I heard that new routers use both Installed the Microsoft DHCP broadcast flag thing and did the flush of winsock ipv amp ipv I am currently using the computer on an Ethernet cord Computer connects only to free wireless signals like McDonald s and whatnot XP computer at home connects to WIFI fine Any and All help would be VERY appreciated nbsp

A:New Wireless Router - Local Access Only Vista

So. I assume you have cable coming out of your Comcast modem into your new netgear router. Have you gone into the router settings and set up a wireless network for yourself? To do so, your computer needs to be hooked up to new router via ethernet. Then type 192.168.0.1 (I think) into your web browser. This should put you into the router settings where you can set up the wireless network. If you have done this already, and are still having problems, you will need to provide more info about how the network you are making is physically put together.
badness

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-wireless-router-local-access-only-vista.963121/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hopefully someone can suggest a solution to a problem I have had with my wireless connection on my laptop In a nut shell I am unable to connect to the Internet and the network settings either displays local access only or unidentified network So my laptop can see my router it confirms signal and Vista access & wireless local to only solve How : periodically it allows me to connect to the Internet but for very short periods i e minutes then reverts back to local access only I have uninstalled vista a couple of times updated drivers for the network adaptor updated driver software installed drivers again with Vista & wireless : How to solve local access only the cd supplied with the laptop downloaded drivers from Ralink switched off power options reset router options spoke with Phillips who made my router bought another router belkin but still experiencing the same problem I have found this Website discussing similar problems and I have attempted most of the suggestions listed http social technet microsoft com thread a d- dd- a-a a- a f f d The above Website appears to suggest it is Vista that is causing the problem but I cannot find a resolve here either I have installed Vista SP and even downloaded Vista SP and tried this also but I am still experiencing problems I even used some removal tools for Norton as some sites have suggested this may be a problem but again nothing Really I am stumped I am no computer wizard but I can find my way around a computer but this is frustrating the life out of me as I have a very nice expensive laptop which has been gathering dust dust for months or so and feel like attacking it with a mallet For what it matters my PS connected st time to my router and gives me no issues at all So thinking should I get my hands on XP and try this or is there a saviour who can assist me with this damn problem nbsp

Relevancy 76.97%

Hi I am working on a toshiba wireless) access only(not modem vista local comcast satalite for someone but can not get internet access at my home I have it plugged directly into the comcast modem but get the quot local access only quot message that seems to be such a problem for wireless users When doing ipconfig renew I get a message stating that windows could not contact vista local access only(not wireless) comcast modem the dhcp vista local access only(not wireless) comcast modem server There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the modem as it works fine with XP and Linux machines Everything I have found related is talking about wireless issues and I've tried the registry edit provided by MS for setting the dhcp flag value to and also disabled IPv and power options in the adapter configuration Has anyone figured out the fix for this It seems to be a Vista issue in my opinion since it is not limited to any one hardware manufacturer or device Also I'm trying to install sp to see if that helps but having problems installing from the stand alone so installing the update readiness utility now to fix that Thanks for any help

A:vista local access only(not wireless) comcast modem

Did you try resetting the modem? (reset button located next to the power cable input)

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/272980-vista-local-access-only-not-wireless-comcast-modem.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi Guys First post here after days of trying to solve an issue that for all my searching around the net doesnt seem to have a concrete fix that works for all Basically I have a Compaq presario c laptop it has been restored to factory settings has SP installed and Vista on *going wireless problem PLEASE Only demented, Access Local help* im trying to connect it onto my home wireless router a belkin model The built in wireless adapter is an Atheros AR b g wifi adapter When i try to connect to the home wireless It accepts the network key but then sits at local access only and doesnt allow me out onto the net I also have a second laptop running vista SP it is a philips freevent laptop and it connects Vista Local Access Only on wireless problem *going demented, PLEASE help* absolutely fine onto the wireless network no issues at all I have scoured every forum and found hundreds of people reporting the same problem from as far back as but still cant find anybody with an actual working fix to resolve this issue Any ideas help solutions would be greatly greatly appreciated as I feel ive tried everything I can so far EDIT UPDATE Just tried it with security password switched off on the router and I can connect fine Naturally I dont want to leave the network unsecure so I have added the password back on but does anybody know of a fix so that I can connect without needing to turn off the security Cheers In anticipation

A:Vista Local Access Only on wireless problem *going demented, PLEASE help*

Set a new password for the network matching with all 3 computers. Are you being asked for a WEP or WPA key.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-local-access-only-on-wireless-problem-going-demented-please-help-577651.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi all this originally started with an issue with the wireless I recently installed a D-Link DIR- wireless router and did computer only" "local with Vista had with "local ethernet only" access wireless, now a basic setup giving it WPA security My Vista computer originally was able to connect to the router with Internet and before that to the modem directly with Ethernet but it was infected by the Vista Security virus which I removed after following some steps and MBAM Since then it can no longer connect to the wireless network so I Googled the issue and did a few things - Norton Remover - In command prompt ipconfig and netsh some commands that reset refreshed IP DNS or something along those lines - Going to wireless settings and disabling ipV - Going to wireless setting and manually giving it an IP Default Gateway DNS Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet according to the specs that I found by using ipconfig on my working Windows laptop - Updating the Atheros driver to version Somewhere along the way I must ve nipped something important somewhere because now the Vista machine doesn t connect to the internet wirelessly NOR with the Ethernet cable attached Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet The icon in the lower right hand corner shows that the machine sees the router but with Local Access only I ve done an ipconfig all with the machine and here are the results this is with ethernet attached Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name HomePC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - B- A- E- A DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address - F- - F-D - B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc c bf a c b cbf Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap CF B -A - C B- DA-FC A D br CD Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap AA -A C- F-AFBB-DC F br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F AFB E -A E - B-A B -A B br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Conn... Read more

A:Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-computer-had-local-only-access-with-wireless-now-local-only-with-ethernet.1031986/
Relevancy 70.09%

I recently got a HP Pavilion dv7 Home entertainment PC and just today had the WiFi hooked up at my house, My WiFi is "Local Only" for some reason and windows network diagnostic is no help. Any help any of you can give me would be much appreciated.

A:Windows Vista Local only access

Could you provide a bit more info concerning "just today had the WiFi hooked up at my house"

Usually the install tech doesn't leave until your are connected.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-vista-local-only-access-631820.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Okay, my dad has given me his old laptop as my one broke. He hasn't used it for a while so it's been collecting dust.

Anyway, I can't seem to connect to the Internet. My access says local only. Ipv4 connectivity is at local. And ipv6 connectivity is on limited. I've tried turning the router on and off it didn't work. Reset the wireless adapter that didn't work. Any idea what it might be.

Running Windows Vista and the laptop is a HP G60-213Em and my router is ee. The router is fine. Other devices are connected fine

A:Local Internet access only. Windows vista

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

can we see an ipconfig /all
ipconfig /all

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the information above those entries

For Windows 8 or Windows 10
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/
Use Windows + X Keys together and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​Or Right click on the windows icon - bottom left hand side - A menu appears - choose Command Prompt (Admin)[/indent]

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R
Now type CMD
Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt ​
It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-internet-access-only-windows-vista.1158985/
Relevancy 68.8%

I recently have been having trouble connecting to my netgear WNR v I have two issues that need addressing if you dont mind helping possiably three but anyways I was connected to the router and had local and internet access about two days ago it stopped now im plugged in and have been going crazy with the number of ways to fix and or things to test but im breaking down and need help im going to post this only reporting Windows local connection Vista wireless from another forum that I placed this problem into as well listed below everything that I have done and tried also I am going to attach a pic of my device manager network adapters I am also posting an Windows Vista wireless connection reporting local only ipconfig all that I just ran and copy pasted from my cmd prompt while the laptop was connected with the cable to my router and wireless LOCAL only all the connections that it lists scares me because I just dont know I am running windows vista on my HP laptop sorry not sure what kind of laptop it is it just says HP on it it wil no longer connect to my wireless NETGEAR WNR v and when I do get it its local only I recently had virus infections removed from someone who used AVIRA and MBAM malaware anti bytes edit I tried to disable the autoscaling feature in windows and it did not work edit edit I am running windows vista home bit EDIT I can connect to the router now I had the wrong security type selected WPA instead of WPA but it still reports local only I checked my router logs and it shows that it connects but it does not give me information on if it is blocking the laptop from the internet or if my laptop is I have tried turning off the windows firewall and resetting it as well now EDIT I have tried the things listed below - uninstall and reinstall windows wireless adapter drivers through computer managment - disablied IPv through wirless adapter properties unchecking the box - reset my rounter entirely after which I can no longer connect to the router at all where as before I did this I was able to connect to my router but it was local only held the reset button for or more seconds plus unplugged my modem and router for mins I know its alot of time for that but I was eating but regardless after which I turned on my modem let all the lights go through their setup then I turned on the router let all the lights do their thing and then my laptop to make sure everything picked up new settings -something threw me off also under computer managment under the network adapters there were ipv to ipv quot tunnels quot or something they had the yellow warning sign on it -When I run ipconfig all a TON of connections show up this makes me think that there are virus remnants left so if this is the wrong forum please just let me know I can also list my ipconfig all if it will help I would really appreacaite some help with this if anyone can ASAP I cannot stay plugged into my router but I know im on your time so thank you very much for reading and or helping me with this I will be monistoring this thread as well as tracking it with my email expect a somewhat prompt reply

A:Windows Vista wireless connection reporting local only

im not sure how to close my own post (if I can) please close this post for me I am creating a HJT post before I trouble shoot this problem sorry for doing this out of order thank you for your help. The new HJT topic I am creating can be found here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423325.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/423218/windows-vista-wireless-connection-reporting-local-only/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello everyone my roommates laptop has been having issues connecting ever since i got rid of the old Modem Router ISP ComcastOld Modem Router access/ Windows Local network Unidentified vista ArrisNew ModemMotorola SB SURFboard DOCSIS Cable ModemNew RouterASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N Router RT-N U Laptop SpecsWindows Vista Home PremiumToshiba satellite a Processor intel celeron cpu ghzRAM GB bit OSSo what happened is I decide to buy my own modem and router returned the one comcast was charging me for I bought the ones stated above My computer and my laptop had little to no issues connecting to the new router My roommates connected then said local access limited or no connectivity It was connected for a little bit I Windows vista Local access/ Unidentified network tried Windows update cause I noticed a lot of things was out dated I thought it was fixed he told me the other day it wasn't Well now I Windows vista Local access/ Unidentified network cant get a connection at all What I have tried Google the problemI have been on Microsoft sites and various sites trying to fix it no luck Anti virus and firewall NO NORTON or McAfee installed Windows firewall disabled Installed malwarebytes No spyware malware dected Direct connection to modemI unhooked the router and plugged the ethernet cable to the laptop directly no luck Ive disabled the IPv connection No luck there either Updated the driversAtheros ARG EG wireless network adpaterRealtek RTL EFamily PCI-E Fast ethernet NICNo luck after that eitherScreen shothttp s postimg org h n p er message edited by Authority

A:Windows vista Local access/ Unidentified network

Ok....Now the laptop not connecting can you go back into network and connection sharing center, click on "manage connection" and then right click on the wireless connection, make sure both versions 4 and 6 are check and under the tcp/ip properties for both IPV4 & IPV 6 are set to "obtain an address automatically" and below to make sure it is set to obtain DNS server automatically. clicking ok. If that does nothing try setting the router to a specific channel rather than auto.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/windows-vista-local-access-unidentified-network/13550.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello guys I am using a Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista Home Basic -bit OS I was using Local Vista or Access Limited only Windows Connectivity the hotel wi-fi network in which I am residing in currently Everything was hunky dory for a week when all of a sudden I could not connect to the wi-fi network in my hotel I Windows Vista Local Access only or Limited Connectivity keep getting either a Limited connectivity message with a yellow triangle on the wi-fi icon or a Local only access I searched everywhere and tried all possible things like - Changed the Dhcp flag in the windows registry as directed on the microsoft site - reset the wincsock using quot netsf winsock reset quot - Disabled Ipv for the network in the quot Properties tab quot Its highly pissing off as my friend staying in the same hotel with a HP laptop running Vista Home Premium is able to connect to the same wi-fi network without any issues Can anyone please help me out with this its really irritating Thanks in advance

A:Windows Vista Local Access only or Limited Connectivity

Guys call it my lucky charm or whatever , the day I posted my query on this forum , I was myself able to figure out the solution.

I just changed the registry setting field DhcpIPAddress to an IP Address that was from a Spool of IP addresses that was functioning correctly. I checked my friends IP on his laptop that was able to connect to the same network and set the IP Address in the DhcpIPAddress field to the next IP (my friends IP + 1) . After that I also reset my winsock settings with the command. "netsh winsock reset" to run this command , you need to open command prompt in the administrator mode. But I am not sure whether this contributed to solving the problem. I guess changing the DhcpIPAddress field was enough.

Do the above, and restart your machine, hopefully it should work fine.

Let me know if you need anyone needs help. All the best !!!!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/260089-windows-vista-local-access-only-limited-connectivity.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a newly built computer that I assembled last night and the wireless is not working. When I try to connect, it says "connecting to the network is taking longer than usual" and then after awhile it says "connection unsuccessful"... then I hover over the network icon in the taskbar and it says "unidentified network: local access only"

I cannot open web pages. I have filtered through many pages of google results on this problem and nothing i saw fixed it.

More details:
windows vista ultimate 64bit sp1
brand new linksys wireless-g pci adapter with latest drivers
linksys wireless-g DSL router
wireless network does not have any kind of encryption
(no WEP, etc.)
DHCP enabled

two other computers in the house work just fine with the wireless.... one with xp home 32bit, and the other with vista home premium 32bit

A:vista wireless "local access only"

Hmm, this is curious, normally i get this problem in school (with WPA-Enterprise encryption) but never with no encryption...

Does your router have a firewall in it's firmware?
(could be blocking IPs or MAC adresses)

Can you ping/view the router?

Cheers,
Jamey

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wireless-local-access-only-262636.html
Relevancy 63.21%

My Gateway laptop just can't browse the internet. I tried to connect both LAN and wireless. Both only has local access only. ISATAP adapter has error code 31. I tried to disable, uninstall and reinstall it. I still only get local access. Is it the problem for my internet connection?

Please help.
Thanks.

A:LAN and wireless has local access only

If you are getting an error code on the adapter you want to fix that before anything most likely. Can you try a different driver for it? Could be hardware related but try different drivers first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lan-and-wireless-has-local-access-only.898189/
Relevancy 63.21%

My computer connected to wireless without a problem yesterday morning and in the previous weeks but last night and today it wont connect I actually managed to connect it to a different is the term hotspot than I usually use at one point but it didnt stay connected very long and before that I had to try many times before it connected I have run network diagnostics I dont know how many times It sometimes says cant communicate with the remote host and something about DNS and I dont know that that means It has also suggested resetting the adapter and Ive tried that automatically and manually Ive turned off and on the switch for my integrated card several times It has also suggested renewing the ip several times which Ive tried And this time its last guess was to plug into the LAN to see if the problem has been resolved and the LAN works fine but diagnostics announced the problem is NOT resolved This is frustrating since I have very little knowledge about wireless All I know is sometimes when I try to connect it says limited or no connectivity OR way more often on Only local wireless? access it says local access only help nbsp

A:Only local access on wireless?

Do you have control of the wireless access point you are trying to connect to?

If not, the owner might have changed the security settings to prevent you from connecting.

Courtney sends....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/only-local-access-on-wireless.547902/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows Vista and a Linksys wireless router. When I connect wirelessly it says I have local only access but my daughters laptop says local and internet. Can someone help please?

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi there i ve just updated my pc and laptop to windows vista pc to vista business to network Only wireless Access Local and laptop to vista home premium and other than a sound driver issue on my pc was having no problems this was at home where i had my pc conncted to my Local Access Only to wireless network router by a network cable and was using my laptop wirelessly both happilly acessing the internet since then i have come back to university which is where the problem starts in my university house we have no wired network so i have to connect to the router wirelessly with my pc as well as my laptop my laptop has had no problem with this and i m connected to the internet wirelessly on my laptop right now my pc however which is currently in the same location as my laptop is having trouble accessing the network on my pc i Local Access Only to wireless network can open the connect to a wireless network screen and see the network i want to connect to the signal strength is currently shown as bars i select my network and press connect Local Access Only to wireless network i am told that connecting to the network is taking longer than usual and then that the connection is unsucessful when i open the network and sharing centre it says i am connected to an unidentified network public network and that access is local only connection wireless network connection my network name and that signal strength is very good fyi it is a wep security enabled network we previously had mac address filtering turned on i ve now turned it off while i m trying to fix my pc s connection i have no success getting onto the internet there is a red cross on the line representing the link between my unidentified network and the internet i also cannot ping local addresses or access the router log in page i have tried disabling ipv and also specifying custom settings in ipv using similar settings to those on my laptop that i can see by running ipconfig all on the command line i have spent a lot of time trying to find the latest drivers for the wireless adapter which is on my motherboard ASUS b g Wireless LAN Card in the properties it says the manufacturer is marvell and reports no errors and seems to think it is happy with the drivers it has basically this is very frustrating next thing i intend to try is moving my computer closer to the router and plugging it in with an ethernet cable and running a driver detection wizard to see if it can find any updates for the wireless i would greatly appreciate any help on this to allow me to get online wirelessly wth my pc just like i am with my laptop thanks for looking Matt nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi, we have a new Dell inspiron 1501. When purchased at christmas it located and accessed out Zylex router no problem, however the next time we tried we get the local access only line. I have tried most of the other attempts listed such as deleteing the connection and manually installing to no avail. Works fine when hard wired. Any help will be appreciated. Ps I also tried ip config thing to post but it only appears for a fraction of a second and then disappears!

Paul

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-showing-local-access-only.673213/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello Every now and then my wireless connection seems to stop and while it says I m connected my access says local only and I m unable to use the internet Usually it hops back on the internet but for the past few days it seems to have quit working completely IPv connectivity Local IPv connectivity Limited I use Windows Vista as a number of people seem to use when this problem occurs Also while I am able to connect to the internet using my neighbors wireless internet though it kicks me off every now and then-probably because I don t get the best reception I am still unable to connect to my own access: local Wireless-no internet; only It used to work just fine and I haven t changed a thing with my connection or anything Here s what I get when I pull up the command prompt and type in ipconfig all Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Lindsaloo gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Lindsay-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled Wireless-no internet; access: local only No DNS Suffix Search Wireless-no internet; access: local only List sd cox net Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - A- B-F - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless-no internet; access: local only Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix sd cox net Description Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AGN Physical Address - -E -D -C - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ac e f c d db Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday November PM Lease Expires Saturday November PM Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix sd cox net Description Realtek RTL Family PCI-E Fast Etherne t NIC NDIS Physical Address - B- -B - -C DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix sd cox net Description isatap sd cox net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B A - B - E- -FDF C D br FA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Lindsaloo gt I have searched in a number of places and have tried so many things to try and get this to work Please help nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 here, that we could not get to connect to the Internet, we'd only get "Local Only" both wired or wireless on any connections. After messing with it for a few hours decided best to just reformat and fix it that way. After a fresh reformat (Vista Home Premium) we get the exact same issue, with a clean install. All other computers connect with no issue, this one doesn't wireless or wired, just "local only"

HELP!

A:Local Access Only on wireless and wired

Ok:You may have bought yourself some more work by the re-format,but first,may we see.
Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Also,regarding the format,if we get this working,it would be a very good idea to go to the Dell site,with the service tag # of your unit,download and install,in this order.For Vista:
Chipset driver
And then,most probably the adapter drivers as well as any other deive that shows error status when you display device manager.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-access-only-on-wireless-and-wired.1015348/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys I have a problem I bought a laptop like two weeks ago and I successfully connected to a Public Wireless Network that s in my range I had internet connection for like a week but after that something happened Its been few days that I connect to the network but I have Local Access Only I haven t changed anything in my settings everything is exactly the same instead of that I don t have internet when I m using this network There is another public network in my range and I successfully connect to it with both local and internet access The problem is that the when I use the network I m using now I have really slow internet speed like - kb s Is there any chance that the admin of the Access connection Local a for Only wireless network could refuse internet access for my machine or something and if yes can t I just change my MAC Address or IPv I have a friend who se in the same range and he s using this network and he has both internet and local access I tried Local Access Only for a wireless connection to disable User Accounts and I enabled quot Automatically Detect Settings quot I tried to remove the network and then manually add it but nothing works Do you have a solution for my problem It will be great if somebody can help and I really appreciate that Thank you in advance btw I m using Windows Vista and here s copy paste of my ipconfig all when I m using another network not the one I have problems with C USERS OWNER gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Owner-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List hsd pa comcast net Wireless LAN Local Access Only for a wireless connection adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd pa comcast net Description Broadcom b g WLAN Physical Address - A- - C- - D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe daa cd d fa Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Tuesday July AM Lease Expires Wednesday August AM Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific Local Access Only for a wireless connection DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Physical Address - B- - -E -BF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap AACD BAE-B CF- B- EA - DD br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd pa comcast net Description isatap hsd pa comcast net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

hi,i have not been able to connect wirelessly for about 6months,i have tried every solution,no closer now than 6 months ago, but while i have been searching i have found the same problem with many vista users,my ethernet connection is ok,spoke to Sky technical who have tried to help ,they think it is vista,but i think it is a conflict with sharing the same connection with my son & his xbox live,i have tried working many hours with this problem,when my son is not connected,(we did share before this & the same router ) my router is a Sagemcom [email protected] 2304. wireless router from sky,i am using windows vista basic,on my E-Machine E520 notebook,i hope that some one will know the solution & kindly guide me with my inexperience of technical terms ,kind regards,Gillian.xxx

A:excellent wireless connection( local access only)

would you do the following please
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
all the text will be highlighted
Next
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

Ping Tests
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste
For your information only
these tests will check various stages of the connection, the first ping test, ping default gateway checks to see if you still have a connection to the router the next two
Ping google.com & Ping 209.183.226.152 tests the connection to internet , one by name and one by number which checks that the dns is workingClick to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excellent-wireless-connection-local-access-only.1055891/
Relevancy 61.92%

I know this has been talked about beaten with a stick and poked as dead Anyone have a real answer yet I am an local unidentified access network - - Wireless only HP support tech We have had hundreds of calls reguarding the quot unidtified network quot quot local access only quot After trying every patch fix reghack found here nothing is really solving the problem Will there be a statement from MS with a real fix that works There is no set fields I can specify I have seen this with all Wireless - local access only - unidentified network flavors of Vista and with just about every brand of router out there Wireless just does not work Users say they have recently been in a Wireless - local access only - unidentified network public location and now their home will not work or that the unit has not been out of the house Wireless - local access only - unidentified network and it suddenly quit Personally I have had the user get onto a wired network and spent hours using remote access to try the options listed here and have had success only about of the time Will MS help us with this problem or just keep being silent on the issue

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/040d9fe6-059d-449a-bbe7-fcb856e800fc/wireless-local-access-only-unidentified-network?forum=itprovistanetworking
Relevancy 61.92%

I am only getting a local access when connected to wireless router I am running windows vista x and can connect directly to the router with cable no problem Also I can connect to wireless when connecting to the router using unsecured network settings I have tried everything from resetting modem and router to deleting network to different types of security etc All other computers in house mac and pc work fine with no problem Here are my ipconfig stats Thanx Ray Also have updated wifi driver Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Parents gt Local access connection wireless on Solved: only ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name AngelzElf-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Solved: Local access only on wireless connection Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - D- C-BB- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -FB- A- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Solved: Local access only on wireless connection Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b dd aae ed c d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday March PM Lease Expires Tuesday March PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - - - D- - E- -FB- A- A DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap E C A CB-B B- - BDA- A F FC br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e c f feef Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe c f feef Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Users Parents gt nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

Hi all I issues router local Wireless access m having Wireless router local access issues an issue with my wireless router where I m getting only local access I ve tried searching through the forum and taking steps that have been suggested to others but I m worried Wireless router local access issues I m just screwing this up more so I thought I d try posting I have a Wireless-N Broadband Router I was able to connect to the network and internet sometimes but then it would switch so that I only had local access Sometimes if I power cycled the modem and router then disconnected and reconnected to the network from my computer I could again connect to the internet but this didn t always work Sometimes the connection would switch from local access to internet access without me doing anything But it always switched back to local access only after an hour or two The internet works fine when connected to the modem through Wireless router local access issues ethernet but not when connected by ethernet through the router I tried resetting the router and now I cannot seem to connect to the internet at all where before it would connect and unconnect sporadically I can connect to the network which it now says is quot unidentified quot although the network has the same name as before The problem seemed to start when I connected a desktop computer to the network using a USB wireless adapter The adapter said to press the WLAN WPS button on the router which I did and the desktop computer was then connected to the internet It seemed to work fine for a day or two but now I am having this problem so I don t know if there is any relation The local access only issues do happen when the desktop computer and USB wireless adapter are turned off and not connected to the network Sorry for the long post Like I said I ve tried figuring this out but just seem to be making the problem worse Any help would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 61.49%

Please, I know little about computers so bear with me...
My OS is vista premium and I am having problems connecting to the net wirelessly, but I didnt have this problem with XP.
It is forever saying local only no matter what I do. I looked at other posts and most said to manually set the tcp/ip settings but I don't know what to put.
please help vista is driving me nuts!

Relevancy 61.06%

Hi, I have an Acer 5720 with atheros wieless lan + driver, since i reformated my laptop i have only been able to gain local only access on my sky d link router. This is doing my head in i have tried installing, reinstalling, updating and deleting of drivers can any one help before it drives me completly mad....

A:Acer 5720 Local only access with wireless adaptor

Do you have any other PCs connected to the router ?
can we have the make and model of any Modems and/or Routers you have

post back the following - if you can

{ipconfig /all}
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter

then reply here and
control key + V to paste
{Ping Tests}

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste
{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
Then run and install the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/acer-5720-local-only-access-with-wireless-adaptor.968208/
Relevancy 61.06%

atm i have internet through wireless but local only unidentified network through the cable from the router cisco linksys e any idea how i can fix my cable connect to give internet again i have a ipconfig all report for just the cable wireless disabled fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix local Solved: cable wireless internet through through access only Description isatap A -E B - F - A - C BB B br C F Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B Solved: local only through cable internet access through wireless EB - C - D Solved: local only through cable internet access through wireless - A- BE ED br Physical Address - - - - - - -E Solved: local only through cable internet access through wireless DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B EB - C - D - A- BE ED br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - ... Read more

Relevancy 61.06%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Turion tm X Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM- AMD Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Graphics Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard HP F Antivirus None I can not connect to my wireless network from my laptop I ve tried researching and trying so many different options but have had no results I m not very tech Only from can internet to not laptop my connect Local wireless Access savy and am tired of getting no results so thought I may be able to get help from here I am able to connect to the internet by plugging the ethernet cord into my laptop but my wireless connection shows quot unidentified quot and Local Access Only can not connect to wireless internet from my laptop says quot local access only quot I don t believe it s my router though because we use our phones ipad and wireless printer with no problems I m going to include what showed up after I did something I saw in another post on this site so that maybe it will help I have an HP laptop Windows Vista -bit OS and belkin router Hopefully someone can help me Windows IP Configuration Host Name AAPC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Belkin Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - F-E - E- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c a f b f f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday August AM Lease Expires Sunday August AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - F-F - -A - - E- - -B -E DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC NDIS Physical Address - E- - -B -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a e b e eb f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday August AM Lease Expires Tuesday September PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - F-F - -A - - E- - -B -E DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description isatap Belkin Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:Local Access Only can not connect to wireless internet from my laptop

the Atheros AR5007 adapter on vista has given a lot of problems over the years here
the most common fix is to use the driver from the atheros website

heres the full details

Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007

Over the last couple of years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.
If you post back the make and exact model of the router - we can advise how to disable the wireless security

The majority of fixes are via installing a new driver from either the Manufacturers website see item (2) and if that does not resolve the issue then from the atheros web site - see item (3)

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

If you post a reply here with the Make and EXACT model of your PC, along with the windows version you are running. we will see if we can find a link to the driver and will post a reply with the link here.

--- 3) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
- see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems

--- 4) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue
AR5007
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
AR5007EG
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
Drivers for the other windows operating system
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

Please post a reply here , and keep us informed of the situation and how you finally resolved the issue.

To install the driver you will need to do the following

Extract the downloaded zip file into a folder on the PC
then

> Start Globe
> Control Panel
> System and maintenance
> Scroll down to Device manager
> network adaptors, click on the + >
> Right click on the AR5007(EG) Adapter
> click on Update Driver Software...
> click on Browse my computer for driver software
> let me pick from a lis... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-access-only-can-not-connect-to-wireless-internet-from-my-laptop.1105716/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello, yesterday my internet company had an interruption in service.
When the net came back up, my phone and Windows 7 laptop were able to connect automatically to the wireless.
My Vista laptop says Local access only.

How can i reset or fix this?

Thanks!

A:Vista Local Access Only

Try this, I got it from Googling.Fixing the local only internet access issue in Windows Vista | The Bit Guru

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/299667-vista-local-access-only.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I'm using Windows Vista and occassionally my internet connection goes to local only and i can't connect again until I unplug the router. Please help

A:Access: Local Only (vista)

Sounds like the router may be the issue. Some things you can try here.
For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-local-only-vista.827574/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a desk top operating on Windows XP and a laptop operating on Windows Vista. I noticed that somebody was piggybacking my internet access so decided to change from WEP to WPA-2. This I did with the help of a techi adviser in the Talk Talk call centre. I was using the desk top at the time and all seemed fine. However when I later went to use my laptop it comes up with Local Access Only and I can't connect to the internet. I have spoken to several advisers in Talk Talk and nobody can help me. I am desperate as most of my info is on there and I don't know much about computers.

A:Local Access Only in Vista

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-access-only-in-vista.1087091/
Relevancy 61.06%

I bought an HP Pavilion Elite desktop today. My house has a router which emits a wireless signal to the computers in our house. My laptop and 2 other desktop PCs are able to connect to the Internet, but when I tried to connect to the wireless, I received the:
Unidentified network (charest family network)
Access: Local Only

I've been browsing the Internet for a few hours now and have exhausted many a solution, so I've turned here. Can anyone help me find a solution to this problem? What information do you need from me so we can tackle this problem?

A:Vista 64-bit -> Access: Local Only

I'm not sure if this will work but it does for my laptop. Restart the other computer which is the main source. Then go into one of the accounts on that computer and check that the internet is working.
Disconnect from the network on your new computer and then connect again.
If this doesn't work, make sure all the plugs are in your router and correctly plugged in. Turn the modem off and then on again.Check that your router can also deal with the amount of computers that you are trying to use it with.

I hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-64-bit-access-local-only.772421/
Relevancy 61.06%

I searched this forum and a person could not connect wirelessly nor could access only vista local they connect with a wire My problem is different so I am starting a new post Using a Toshiba with Vista Home Premium cannot connect wirelessly but can connect with a wire I have tried all the fixes that I am comfortable trying I still cannot connect using the Toshiba wirelessly I can connect using another laptop We have wifi for our community and have one hard wired desktop and four lap tops Only the Toshiba says local access only Unidentified network I don t even know if I need a network since I don t want to share access local only vista with other computers any files I have been working on this since this morning and I am tired and no closer to an answer I have tried the network adapters uninstall scan hardware for changes Control panel untick Protocol version I have tried device manager not preset is on type in a hex digits eg a b c d e I have no idea what that is about but I did it It didn t work either I don t understand much of what I have tried access local only vista to do to fix it I just try to follow step by step instructions and still no sucess Still says local access only nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-local-only-vista.1060478/
Relevancy 61.06%

I realise this one has been discussed for years I have tried every Local Vista Only and Access solution available in these forums Three days research and I am still no closure to solving the issue I have an Acer Aspire laptop with Vista SP I recently had to change my wireless router to a Netgear N My other linux machine connected OK as did our main Windows pc But the Vista machine is having none of it I can connect using no encryption and using WEP but when I try to use WPA WPA I get the local access only issue Use WEP I hear you say that then causes the same problem on our Vista and Local Access Only main Windows pc which I need for work It also works when I hardwire it to the router I have also updated the driver on the Acer wireless adapater Atheros AR EG So to the solution As stated I have spent about three days solid trawling the web and every entry in this forum to no avail If I cant resolve it I will have to change the operating system on the Vista machine Any help would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

A Lot of Vista users have trouble connecting to the internet over wireless

The result being a state known as local only where the PC has a connection to the Wlan but no internet

One of many cures to be found on the Internet, which seems to work, is to disable IPv6

How to disable IPv6

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...6/ipv6faq.mspx

Scroll down to the question

How do I disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008?

Pooch

A:Vista Wireless Local Only (No Internet)

The question still remains as why IPV6 interrupts Wlan connectivity

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/219756-vista-wireless-local-only-no-internet.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi - searching the web and trying various suggestions from here and other sources has yet to only vista wireless local connection, resolve an issue one of my flatmates is currently experiencing hope someone can assist He has a Dell Inspiron laptop running Vista and this will not fully connect to the wireless network we have setup here We have successfully wirelessly connected an Acer running XP machine an xbox and PS and the Dell will connect fully with cable but when attempting wireless seems to stick on identifying the network local only wireless connection, vista reporting local only connection I have tried resetting tcp ip stack and disabled IPv but no joy It may be worth noting this machine is running Norton Internet Security settings here appear to be fine I ve tried disabling the Norton firewall The router is provided by Nildram and initially did not have any security settings enabled so that s not the issue plus mac filtering is disabled FYI I m not up to speed with Vista in fact so far I ve avoided it pretty well my previous machine ran XP and we only support XP amp OS X where I work Windows IP Configuration for the Dell Host Name One Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Dell Wireless WLAN Mini-Card Physical Address - - E- -C -C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom x Integrated Controller Physical Address - -B - - -F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap A CB - BDC- E -B BA- EE FC Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yesortant ipconfig anything else you need to know nbsp

A:local only wireless connection, vista

the 169.254 means it cant see the router

can you post an ipconfig with it connected by cable

I would suspect its a firewall issue ...

is the machine close to the wireless router and getting full signal
it may want a channel change on the router, i have seen it where a few machines connect OK but one does not
use channell 1, 6 or 11

do you have the disks to put norton back on - it may be worth uninstalling and using an installer program from the norton site

you have right cliked on properties and removed ipv6 - correct
and you have removed encryption and mac filtering on the router - correct

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-only-wireless-connection-vista.786697/
Relevancy 60.63%

OS bit Windows Vista Home Premium SP also most recent Ubuntu Linux I am the administrator Model HP Pavilion dv Notebook PC Wireless A free Wireless Work: Local Won't Only Vista local wireless network Wireless Network Adapter Intel reg Wireless WiFi Link AGN driver latest Before last week I could easily connect to the wireless network with Vista Everything went fine I could also connect to other wireless networks in other places I think installing Ubuntu was the problem but I don't know that Last week I dual booted Ubuntu Linux I used the Ubuntu partitioner which wasn't the best idea because I had to use a Vista recovery disk to be able to start Windows again However now both OSs work just fine except for this problem Wireless works great on Linux No problem Wireless won't actually connect to the Internet on Windows although it can see the networks and establish quot Local quot connections with them Vista sees my Network adapter It can see the networks and try to Vista Wireless Won't Work: Local Only connect to them After connecting it says quot Connection unsuccessful quot I click Diagnose the problem It says quot This computer has limited or no connectivity quot and gives some options I try to quot get new IP settings for the network adapter quot The wizard gives me no more applicable options I looked for some solutions I tried quot ipconfig release quot and quot ipconfig renew quot It says ipconfig release quot Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe b a c fb Autoconfiguration IPv Address Default Gateway quot ipconfig renew quot An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection unable to contact your DHCP server Request has timed out quot I typed in quot ipconfig all quot Windows IP Configuration Host Name Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel reg Wireless WiFi Link AGN Physical Address - F- B-CE-D - F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b a c fb Autoconfiguration IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID lots of numbers and letters DNS Servers lines of stuff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Not sure what to do my brother's XPSP can connect to the network as well as my Ubuntu Linux installation I'm pretty sure that installing Ubuntu did something to it just because they happened consecutively maybe it is something else I can't think of anything else I did around that time that may have caused the problem Sorry for the super-long post Any and all advice is much appreciated

A:Vista Wireless Won't Work: Local Only

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.wal...adip.html#ip169From my browsing around the web, the most common cause for this is an incorrect encryption key - but this is a free hotspot, so I'd tend to wonder about that.The next thing is to check your connection properties and see what IPv4 is doing. Go to Start and type in "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Right click on your Wireless Connection and select Properties. In the next window, left click once on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click on the Properies button that's just below that listing. Ensure that both settings are set to obtain their information automatically. Next, click on the Advanced button, and in the next window ensure that DHCP is enabled in the IP Settings tab. If it's not, you'll have to add it. Once that's done, click on OK to exit all of the dialogs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/165124/vista-wireless-wont-work-local-only/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi I just bought a BT Home Hub2.0 for my house. My home PC and my iPod Touch have no problems connecting to it wirelessly. When i try to connect my laptop however it will connect but says 'local only' or 'limited connectivity'. I have had problems connecting to wireless networks before but the Virgin Media wireless in my student house works fine with it. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5720 and is on Vista.

Sorry if this question has already been asked but I have been unable to find the solution.

Thanks in advance

Colm

Relevancy 60.2%

Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name RoryFong-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Problem! Access Only Local Vista Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter Physical Address - - - E- -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR Vista Local Access Only Problem! EG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - D-D - -DC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a dc d a Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday November PM Lease Expires Thursday November PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - F- -E -AD- - B- -BB-CF-FE DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Mbps Ethernet Physical Address - B- -BB-CF-FE DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe Vista Local Access Only Problem! b be d ab Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday November PM Lease Expires Thursday November PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - F- -E -AD- - B- -BB-CF-FE DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap E CA-DE - -A - CFE B AC br B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap DFDFC -CBC - D - -EAEADEE br D C Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap E CA-DE - -A - CFE B AC br B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specifi... Read more

A:Vista Local Access Only Problem!

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RoryFong-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-67-8E-99-D8
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-D9-53-DC-73
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a154:2dc5:91d1:2a48%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:40:25 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:40:25 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234888665
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0F-02-E8-AD-00-1B-24-BB-CF-FE

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-24-BB-CF-FE
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b488:2be4:8037:d8ab%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:39:36 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:39:35 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234887972
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0F-02-E8-AD-00-1B-24-BB-CF-FE

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{8E8992CA-DE24-4034-A370-5CFE3B5AC

7B8}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{DFDFC314-CBC6-4D30-8569-EAEADEE44

D3C}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Media State . . ... Read more

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/284723-vista-local-access-only-problem.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello,
I am having trouble with my laptop connecting to the wireless internet at home. Recently, a new internet router was installed and since then, I've been having trouble connecting to the internet wirelessly (not just at home).

It connects to the network, but then says that I only have "Local" access. However, if I connect my laptop to the router using the ethernet cable that was provided, my internet works perfectly fine!

The strange thing is, my 2 housemates who use Windows XP and Windows 7 can both connect to the internet wirelessly perfectly fine! My iPhone can also connect to the internet wirelessly without a problem.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.

A:Vista Local Access Only Problem!

Open Device Manager and see if there are any red x's or yellow flags next to your network adapter. Next, open a command prompt, Windows Key + R, type cmd and then type the following without the quotes and paste all the results back here, "ipconfig /all". Also check, open IE, click Tools, Internet Options, Connection Tab and then the LAN Tab and in the window that opens make sure that all the check boxes are clear, if not clear them and close IE and re-open IE.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/284261-vista-local-access-only-problem.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I ve read a few threads about problems with the quot local access only quot message but mine appears to be a bit different and I m unable to resolve Connecting my laptop to my home wireless network I also have a desktop PC runiing windows connected by wired connection to the Netgear router I randomly get the quot local access only quot problem - sometime it works fine sometimes it stubbornly refuses to connect Sometimes I ll be connected finish work turn off the laptop turn on a few hours later and no connection Other gadgets like my iphone and PS can problem Access Local Only Vista connect wirelessly with no problem but my laptop has this irritating seemingly random refusal to connect Rebooting the router sometimes works but my normal workaround is to go into the desktop PC change the SSID for the network and then log in again from the laptop When finished I restore the original SSID so the other gadgets work again Vista Local Access Only problem and often the laptop is able to connect It s irritating but at least I have a workaround Vista Local Access Only problem - any ideas for a more permanent solution nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

Recently tried to connect to my router and it would not connect. At first it said it was Limited Access only but now it's saying it's connected but it's not. I checked in the Network and Sharing Centre and it said it wasn't connected.

Don't know why it's suddenly doing this. I'm running vista and my router is a BT Homehub.

Thanks in advance

Milo

Relevancy 60.2%

Hi, did a search for my problem and still did not find an answer for my problem.

My laptop's wireless signal connects fine with the router but can't get on the internet. I tried a several solutions from this site from disabling IPv6 and windows firewall but still there is no connection to internet. One thing that did work was disabling the encryption on the router. I set the security option to None on both the router and the laptop and finally there is connection. I then again tried every single security option on both router and laptop and again there is no connection. (Only local connection). Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong.

Btw, I am on a new router (wndr3700). I had no problems with wired connections and no problems with my old buffalo router.

Thanks in advance.

John

Relevancy 60.2%

Hi, I would really appreciate some help with this! getting frustrated now...

I can only connect to the internet via an unsecured network. I have tried two different secured networks and in both cases I can connect to local only but not to the internet. I have tried re-starting the routers, nothing. I have deleted the network connections, turned everything off, rebooted and reinstalled, no joy. I have uninstalled all AV and firewall software, and restored Windows Default firewall settings, no luck. I am at a loss to understand how it can work fine with an unsecured network but not with a secure network. I have posted my machine's spec below. Any help gratefully received

CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU [email protected] 2.00GHz

MB: Packard (Etna GM)

RAM: 2999mb

HDD: 298gb (WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 ATA Device)

GPU: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

A:Vista wireless internet - local connection only

If using wifi, try Ethernet connection.

You're running Vista SP1 and need to install all outstanding Windows Updates, including Vista SP2.

SP2 Prepwork - http://jcgriff2.com/0x1/Vista_SP_Prepwork.html

The first order of business - remove the Internet Security app using the manufacturer's removal tool.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wireless-internet-local-connection-only-522342.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi everyone I only get a local access only when connecting to the wireless network I ran CMD please see below Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users cristina gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name cristina-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom g Network Only Router Access Local D-link - with Vista Adapter Physical Address D-link Router - Local Access Only with Vista - F- A- - -F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom x Integrated Controlle r Physical Address - D- -B - E- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe D-link Router - Local Access Only with Vista c d bf d c b Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday January PM Lease Expires Monday January AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F AC F- DBA- DCB-B B - FAA C D br D Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Temporary IPv Address de de Preferred Default Gateway c c DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Thank you for your help nbsp

A:D-link Router - Local Access Only with Vista

try uninstalling the wireless card and restarting the computer. Then reinstalling it and restarting again.

Make sure your settings are correct on your router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/d-link-router-local-access-only-with-vista.792118/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi guys I hope somebody will be able to shed some light on my situation I ve found countless google results of people experiencing the same problems as me but so far no suggestions have been able to solve my problem weeks ago I bought my Local Laptop: connection Vista only access LAN second Vista laptop my first had Vista for a week before I downgraded to XP I had experienced no problems with neither my wireless nor my wired connection During the week in my accommodation at university I use a wired connection and wireless when I return home at the weekends However this week when I Vista Laptop: Local access only LAN connection returned to university I found that my laptop would connect to the network but only with quot Local only quot access I tried all the usual quick-fixes disabling and renabling the connection rebooting etc but nothing worked each time it would connect only to the local network I figured it was a problem with the network so I grabbed my girlfriend s laptop to check and was surprised to see that her XP laptop did indeed connect to the internet This was hours ago and I have tried pretty much everything I could think of as well as the suggestions from other forums So far I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Ethernet driver Attempted to delete all the preferred networks and start fresh I say attempted because following my next reboot they were all restored Even gone as far as to preform a system restore thinking that maybe an update over the weekend had caused the problem From the sounds of it this problem is pretty common amongst Vista users who have also tested their connections with an XP machine Unfortunately I do not have a Linux distro to test if it the OS fault Hopefully someone has encountered this problem and has been able to deal with it Thanks for any suggestions you find useful Omegamigo nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

I know many people probably still aren't using Vista, but I was so happy to find the answer, I needed to let as many people know as I could. I spent many frustrated hours trying to get my Vista wireless network working and finally found the answer. Here is a link to these wonderful people who found it. All you have to do is upgrade your wireless adapter driver. Mine was the infamous Atherous AR5007.

Cheers, and spread the word if you would. I know it probably still can help many people.

http://www.kc.co.uk/help-and-support/articles/atheros-drivers-and-vista-unidentified-networks/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-access-only-on-unidentified-network-vista.1167857/
Relevancy 59.77%

All of the computers on my home network have Vista Ultimate installed. I have a Netgear DG834Gv3 modem and wireless router. I recently upgraded this to Vista status (see http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101649.asp). Now, 2 of the computers are connected by ethernet cable, and 2 of them are connected wirelessly. One of the computers connects absolutely fine to the internet, sharing files etc. but the other wireless one only has 'Local Access' and no Internet access. I have tried absolutely everything relating to switching everything off for 2 minutes and then trying again with no avail. SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE! I NEED THE INTERNET ON THIS COMPUTER!

A:Vista, local access only, but works on other computers...?

If your network is secured, disable encryption on the router and try to connect that way. If successful you should then be able to re-enable encryption and reconnect.

If still a problem please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

IPCONFIG /ALL

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-local-access-only-but-works-on-other-computers.676205/
Relevancy 59.34%

Ok so this is my first post and yes I've already done a search I know lots of people have had problems on Vista with 'local internet. strikes 64 but Wireless no only' connection again! Vista having 'Local Only' access on their PC and I'm one of them After doing a search and reading some threads I dont think anyone has had exactly the same problem as me so I thought I'd seek out some advice So I have Vista Home Premium bit running It's a new PC fresh install etc After trying unsuccessfully with a number of USB wireless adapters once I installed drivers the adapter would never be recognised I finally found an internal PCI wireless adapter that is Wireless connection 'local only' but no internet. Vista 64 strikes again! recognised by Vista and connects to the internet I'm using the ASUS WL- G V card The internet has had dodgy Wireless connection 'local only' but no internet. Vista 64 strikes again! performance at best up until now but something was better than nothing Last week however I turned my PC on only to see that my wireless network is not connecting I tried connecting manually but nothing I have to leave the computer on for half an hour before it even aknowledges my home network exists Then my PC automatically connects to the router local only but doesn't connect to the internet itself Occasionally VERY RARELY I am able to access the internet but more often than not I am 'local only' All my hardware is up to date all drivers are the most current and yet I'm still stuffed Unless you guys can help I'm going to have to pay for Wireless connection 'local only' but no internet. Vista 64 strikes again! an electrician to put a phone outlet in my room so that I can have the router on MY pc and the rest of the house will be wireless instead Of course that then raises the issue of finding a Vista compatible ADSL wireless router Sigh After spending so much on a new pc and going to the trouble of building it all myself I'm rather annoyed I'm having to use my old box which I've set up in the kitchen in order to do my work on the net Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Wireless connection 'local only' but no internet. Vista 64 strikes again!

Bump?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/182704-wireless-connection-local-only-but-no-internet-vista-64-strikes-again.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey I am currently having a Vista issue where I am only getting PUBLIC ACCESS to my network which consists of computers connecting together with a shared internet source going Internet Vista? Local Access. Only Unidentified Network; No out to each computer except the Vista machine Setup Desktop PC Windows Ultimate Internet source LAN ports shared for internet access throughout network with STATIC IP other for normal access through network and RDC Automatically Assign IP Wireless Card Not in use Notebook Lap Windows Ultimate Just wireless access to internet Media Center MC Windows HP Wired LAN access to internet Desktop PC Windows Vista HP This machine only has a LAN port on it and thats the only device connected to it I have a Linksys Router configured to send out wireless and also LAN configured to the Wired Desktops The notebook is the only thing to use wireless and occasionally my Windows Phone I have checked that each other computer thats connected is getting internet access and they are But when you jump on the Unidentified Network; Only Local Access. No Internet Vista? vista machine I can connect to each computer on the network and access shared folders and gear etc but cant access the internet I think this may have something to do with the computer only having the PUBLIC access and have tried to change it to HOME-WORK network profile but have had no luck changing it The only thing I can change it to is PUBLIC Network or PRIVATE Network and there is no options to pick what type of network profile you want to connect to If anyone has any suggestions and or fix please please leave an answer below If you need any more information on specs of any of Unidentified Network; Only Local Access. No Internet Vista? the device let me know Thankyou for any and all responses

A:Unidentified Network; Only Local Access. No Internet Vista?

This is because a Public network can be dangerous you need to change it to Private network for Internet Access

Go to start

Control Panel

Network and Internet > Network and Sharing center

then click Customize

and select Private

Enter an Admin Password if UAC Appears

Then Restart your Computer and check the Internet connection

Many Thanks,
Josh

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/283381-unidentified-network-only-local-access-no-internet-vista.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi Guys Really starting to get frustrated with this issue Own a dell with Vista home edition wireless dlink network adapter card installed Last year after i moved in to my new apartment complex tried connecting to the network and intitially wireless signal was weak so i tried ethernet cat connection and it would not allow me to get on Local Access only My connection ethernet Local Home Access Vista computer was communicating with the router but i could not get internet access beyond that Then several weeks later i disabled my wireless adapter and Vista Home Local Access ethernet connection magically my ethernet connection appeared and was uninterrupted for over months But last weekend my landlord switched routers from his old d-link to a new cisco router and again i ve had issues with local access only connection but this time its affecting my wireless connection as well My wireless is intermittent it will connect upon startup for about minutes to hours of internet connection with a weak signal then timeout and automically try to connect to a nearby hotspot unsecured network which i dont want it to do I have to disable and re-enable the wireless network connection to get another hour or so of intermittent internet service but my cat connection still will not work it identifies the network but it wont actually connect to the internet and still says Local access only I ve tried installing all my recent service pack updates disabling all non-essential startup service resetting routers cleaning up registry Could it be a faulty ethernet cable or bad port maybe compatability issues I have not tried any system restore actions yet but im close to it I don t know much about network settings so any feedback would be appreciated as to what i can do and check I hate vista always screws with the network never had problems like this in the past on other OS I just dont understand why it worked for so many months suddenly and then back to the same old local access problem Is my landlord s network setup a possibility too I seem to be the only person in the apartment complex that has this issue Could it be IP issues with just my computer PLEASE HELP ME -Oskar nbsp

A:Vista Home Local Access ethernet connection

It's impossible to sort through that amorphous blob of text, a little formatting would be very useful. With what I see, the information we'll really need isn't there anyway.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Make and exact model and hardware version of any other network equipment, like a repeater, a booster, hi-gain antenna, etc.
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-home-local-access-ethernet-connection.833967/
Relevancy 58.91%

Could you sort this problem out for me because I just don t have the know how to do it myself I have a internet connection problem that occured suddenly days ago Every minutes my internet connection goes onto quot Access Local Only quot I can t view any pages I thought it might be my signal strength which is not very good in my area Sometimes it roams onto another network But recently I ve been getting this quot local area quot problem I m currently using a mobile broadband service i e dongle with Network and they ve told me that there is nothing that they can do about this problem I have been with them for a year with Local problem. Area Solved: Only. Access Vista no problems at all Solved: Vista problem. Access Local Area Only. except for bad signal Also my quot Local Area Connection quot has a little red x beside it and the status is quot unplugged quot I have diagnosed the problem using windows quot Cannot connect with DNS server quot Having looked at the properties and so forth everything seems to be in order I have tried that quot cmd quot Netsh Winsoc command but that makes no difference I have even tried System Restore and still the problem persists Any advice nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

Hello this is my first post in the forum I have been researching forseveral hours each day and am getting desperate for an answer I am a computer technician for a friend We have been trying to install a Brother HL- dwprinter to his Vista -system He has had printers installed in the past with absolutely no trouble But this time he ran the installation software for a local USB printer and it pretended Access 32 - USB printer Vista Denied? is Local in Installing to install properly without him installing anything extra just windows plug-n-play But then when he prints he gets this error Windows Cannot Connect to the Installing Local USB printer in Vista 32 - Access is Denied? printer ACCESS IS DENIED This Installing Local USB printer in Vista 32 - Access is Denied? is not a network printer It is not a problem with the printer since I was able to install the printer on my system that is exacly like his Anyways I have tried many things uninstall all printers drivers switch default printer install basic drivers install different versions of the drivers make new administrator user account delete drivers via FILE-- gt Server Properties -- gt Drivers Add printer have disc I am running out of options since every process ends in an error Is it possible to remove all drivers and then re-install them from SafeMode That is my next step But I am at a loss for what to do next He is miles away so I don't feel like reinstalling his whole OS Is this the only option Any input is appreciated Hope this post isn't tooo long Thanks in advance MlrSupport

A:Installing Local USB printer in Vista 32 - Access is Denied?

Welcome
Lets see if it is a permissions issue. This administrator is the true boss of the computer and needs no permission.
Administrator Account

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/292210-installing-local-usb-printer-vista-32-access-denied.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I can only get local access when using wireless connection on 2pcs running vista home premium.

Internet works fine using etheral cable and fine on windows 7 laptops.

A:only get local access on pc running vista home premium

can we see an ipconfig /all from the vista PCs on wireless

on the wireless connection - log into the router and turn off any wireless security and see if you can now connect

ipconfig /all

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
all the text will be highlighted
Next
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/only-get-local-access-on-pc-running-vista-home-premium.1018285/
Relevancy 58.91%

hi all wondering if anyone can help as no one at bt can, they say its my computer?
basically i have been running windows vista and the bt home hub for over a year with no issuses,
I moved the computer so unplugged ect.. and put it all back the same way but now i can not get on line has unidentified network and local only, i have tried to reinstall the bt hub and broadband but can not get it to pick the hub up at all can any one give me a idea of what i can do ??
also have got bt to send me a new hub incase it was that changed all the wires but still not that so must be the pc, have heard it an be to do with vista?? but can i fix it!??

A:bt home hub to vista, unidentified network access local only ??

We will assist you here. Please do not duplicate your Post/Thread in the near future.

Closed!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/bt-home-hub-to-vista-unidentified-network-access-local-only-500028.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello and thanks in advance for your assistance My mom's laptop will not connect to the any wireless network It connects to the network local only and public network on a secured network that she had to enter the password to get on to It has been problematic for the last months or so At first it was an intermittent loss of connection for a few minutes here and there or low connection quality We got her a WAP to get her closer to the signal and that didn't solve a thing We got her an amplified deal but no dice On the network we have a lot of machines that do overnight backups and she's normally only No Wireless Public "Local Only Vista SP2 Internet Network" Connectivity on her machine late at night and considered that their traffic was blocking her out so we set up a second wireless network just for internet but that didn't help either We replaced the router somewhere in there too I should note that we have an IT guy that does most of this for us but he just got out of brain surgery last week so he cannot help us now nor am I Vista SP2 Wireless "Local Only Public Network" No Internet Connectivity sure of every last thing he did previously to try and fix her stuff More recently I started seeing Vista SP2 Wireless "Local Only Public Network" No Internet Connectivity this Vista SP2 Wireless "Local Only Public Network" No Internet Connectivity Local Only business but it DID sometimes go away and give her internet access after a brief outage Last night it went to local only and never went back to normal Considering all of the equipment changes and stuff and the fact that I didn't want to be at her house all night banging my head on the wall I decided to take her laptop home with me and try it on my trusty network which knock on wood has been humming along with all sorts of old weird new things on it for ages SAME PROBLEM HERE Full disclosure - I really don't know anything about computers but I am over so there's that osmosis thing I still run XP on my machines because I need DOS for my day-to-day operations I'm still using FoxPro from the 's LOL And I really really really don't know crap about navigating in Vista Holy hell I could barely find the command prompt If no one here can help me her little Dell is destined for target practice The problem child Vista Home Premium SP Dell Intel Pentium Dual T ghz GB RAM -bit It uses all of the Cisco networking stuff EAP LEAP PEAP I thought of uninstalling this and trying to use the native DELL stuff or a rd party app but got scared and didn't want to without help Already done Naturally as a good little 'IdontKnowWhatTheHellIamDoing' tech-support daughter I rebooted after applying any fixes Ran Norton Removal Tool Updated Driver for Marvell Yukon E PCI-E Ethernet controller WLAN card driver was up to date Applied these MicrosoftFixIt's on the offending machine this is the DHCP flag thing disabling ipv default gateway this last one is the corrupted Winsock fix From Command first thing I tried was releasing the IP failed with 'disconnected media' tried to RENEW too but since I didn't really have an IP I assume that failed too Ran a DNS Flush then tried release renew again no dice I deleted route about ten times using several different commands In the ipv advanced settings I set a preffered DNS server to the address of the router both in the properties dialog for ipv settings and in the advanced TCP IP dialog You'll see this in the ipconfig stuff below I also tried setting the default gateway to the router address but changed it back I also simply un-checked the ipv under the connection status properties did nothing There are probably or other things I tried during the night that I no longer remember I read two threads about this issue on this forum last night and tried all the fixes listed in those posts but none seemed to work I now have a feeling that some of the things already done might have worked if they were done in a different order hence my new thread Alm... Read more

A:Vista SP2 Wireless "Local Only Public Network" No Internet Connectivity

Forgot that I also set the 'connection specific DNS Suffix" in the ipv4 advanced settings dialog at some point.  I did this based on comparing my IPCONFIG to hers.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524319/vista-sp2-wireless-local-only-public-network-no-internet-connectivity/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi,

I'm stumped. Upgraded from an old Dell desktop to a Sony laptop just before Christmas. The wireless Internet connection was working fine up until last Thursday, 12th March.

I have read a lot of threads on various forums and have already tried the Norton Software Removal, changing power management options and a few other basic setting changes but I really don't have the expertise or confidence to go any further

Please help and thanks in advance.

Relevancy 58.48%

Hello I used to connect to a access only/limited mr814 vista, netgear local with connectivity netgear wgr router wirelessly at my previous residence Where I live now we have a mr netgear router I only ever get limited connectivity or local access only with it This is what ipconfig all tells me Windows IP Configuration Host Name Lydia-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek Extensible b g Wireless Device Physical Address -C -A -D - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe e cb b Preferred Autoconfiguration local access only/limited connectivity with vista, netgear mr814 IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap BC - C- AC-AC - BB CF AE Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS local access only/limited connectivity with vista, netgear mr814 over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes any suggestions nbsp

A:local access only/limited connectivity with vista, netgear mr814

jiveturkey said:

Hello
I used to connect to a netgear wgr614 router wirelessly at my previous residence.
Where I live now, we have a mr814 netgear router. I only ever get limited connectivity or local access only with it.

any suggestions?Click to expand...

Yes, take a look at this:
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g Wireless Device
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-A8-D1-76-94
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3517:6e63:cb38:261b%10(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.38.27(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 134267048
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : EnabledClick to expand...

Your wireless NIC has DHCP enabled but it's not getting an IP address from your Netgear router. The IP address you have, 169.254.38.27, is from a ranger called APIPA. You cannot surf the Web with an APIPA address. You also have no default gateway defined (which should be your router's IP address), and I'm not sure why there's all the IPv6 stuff in there.

It looks like you need to configure your Netgear router with a) a unique IP address (try 192.168.1.1) and b) the DHCP feature to give your PC an IP address on boot up. Or, you could statically configure your PC to use the address 192.168.1.2, but I usually prefer DHCP.

If your router came with a setup CD, try running it if you need help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-access-only-limited-connectivity-with-vista-netgear-mr814.636110/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello all This may seem like a few other posts on this Forum but I have Network, - Business Unidentified Only Access Vista Local 64bit read them all and done all of the suggestions Vista Business 64bit - Unidentified Network, Local Access Only listed to fix this issue Nothing has worked so far Below you will find the list of things I have tried to fix the issue I didn t necessarily try them all at once I would try some and reboot then try something else reboot still no Internet Connection Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated thanks for any help Linda WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS bit Service Pack Issue with Unidentified Network Local Access Only System has two NIC cards tired both System does not have any Wireless connections available only NIC cards Logged in under new profile same issue Can t ping default Gateway Things I have tried route delete ipconfig flushdns netsh winsock reset netsh winsock reset catalog Disabled IP protocol Disabled IP items on the network card Disabled Windows Firewall IOSYS System Mechanic HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services tcip Parameters Created new DWORD value under DisabledComponents value nbsp

A:Vista Business 64bit - Unidentified Network, Local Access Only

can we start by seeing an ipconfig /all please
ipconfig /all

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the information above those entries

For Windows 8 or Windows 10
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/
Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​
For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt ​
It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
all the text will now be highlighted
Next

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-business-64bit-unidentified-network-local-access-only.1153053/
Relevancy 58.48%

Good afternoon I am in turmoil My Acer Aspire Laptop will no longer connect to the internet unless connected by an ethernet cable It use to connect with no problems I have other devices that connect through wifi with no problems I have tried updating drivers obtaining IP DNS server address automatically made sure all associated services were set to automatic Vista only Access on Local on Acer Laptop running 9300 and started as well as other things much to no avail Im at my wits end I have included a copy of both Local Access only on Acer 9300 Laptop running on Vista the working pc configuration as well as the non connecting laptop config PLEASE HELP I have attached both the connecting and non connecting configurations Thank you in advance for any and all help I receive My sanity appreciates it greatly Connecting PC wireless Microsoft Windows Version c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users James gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Robinson-pc Primary DnsSuffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix SearchList ec rr com Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specificDNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address A- - - -E - DHCP Enabled Yes AutoconfigurationEnabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specificDNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - - - -E - A DHCP Enabled Yes AutoconfigurationEnabled Yes Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specificDNS Suffix Description RealtekPCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address - -C - -A -F DHCP Enabled Yes AutoconfigurationEnabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Connection-specificDNS Suffix ec rr com Description Dell Wireless b g n GHz Physical Address - - - -E - DHCP Enabled Yes AutoconfigurationEnabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe fc f eaa e c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Tuesday July AM Lease Expires Tuesday July PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - - - F- - - - -E - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled C Users James gt Non-connecting Laptop Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Acer gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name JAMES-ACER-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List ec rr com Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix ec rr com Description Atheros AR G Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - - D-D - B- B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday July PM Lease Expires Tuesday July PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix ec rr com Description NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Physical Address - -D - - E-CC DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe fd fe ff f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday July PM Lease Expires Tuesday July PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - E- -A -D - - -D - C-BE- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Acer gt Thanks again nbsp

A:Local Access only on Acer 9300 Laptop running on Vista

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

If you (temporarily, just for a test) disable encryption on the router can you get internet access with that adapter?

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-access-only-on-acer-9300-laptop-running-on-vista.1152359/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hullo everybody I am currently working on a SONY vaio VGN-CS AGH with visat access Solved: Vaio says Vista local home basic wifi home basic My problem is that my wireless connection doesn t seem to work But when i connect the cable it works when i go to Network and Sharing Centre it says access Local Only and a big cross between unidentified network and the internet Solved: Vaio Vista home basic wifi says local access I have tried the following but nothing has worked Gone to Network and Sharing Centre Adapter Properties configure and unchecked allow the computer to turn off device save power I have tried to Solved: Vaio Vista home basic wifi says local access remove it from the list in network and sharing centre and tried to reconnect to it by putting the password switching the router on and off Disabling IPv going to regedit and going to HKEY LOCAL Machine system current controlset Tcpii parameters interfaces and adding a new value and changing some value from to follwing the step by step direction on microsoft wesite But nothing seems to be working Kindly help Would be really grateful Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

i have followed all the ipconfig resets and netsh resets on other posts but i still get local access only. i have tried to hard wire to modem but it still says local access only. please help.

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi All Grateful for any assitance you can provide to help get me connected I ve just recently bought a second hand Acire Local Limited 5310 Connectivity Laptop / Aspire Vista - Access Acer laptop Acer Aspire 5310 Vista Laptop - Local Access / Limited Connectivity is v good condition it does everything fine apart from connect via wireless I Acer Aspire 5310 Vista Laptop - Local Access / Limited Connectivity have another laptop which can connect on it s wireless and the Acer laptop can get a connection if you use a network cable directly to the router I have a Sky phone amp Broadband package I ve looked over similiar posts but can t seem to fix the problem I notice a lot of people ask for the below so thought the least I can do is provide it for someone to help me out - Working Laptop XP -IP config All - Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Administrator gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name IBM- C E D A Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List ibm Acer Aspire 5310 Vista Laptop - Local Access / Limited Connectivity com Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver Physical Address - F- A-F - E-C Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Home Description Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AG Physical Address - - C- - - F Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained February Lease Expires February Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Intel R MM Gigabit Network Con nection Physical Address - F-E - - - C C Documents and Settings Administrator gt Problematic Acer Laptop - IPconfig All C Users glenteenas gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name glenteenas-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Home Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Home Description Atheros AR EG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - - E-BF- -AC DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained February Lease Expires February Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Home Description Broadcom NetLink TM Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - B- - - -C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap Belkin Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Home Description isatap Home Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap EF A FB- FD - -BE B- CFBB br C Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:Acer Aspire 5310 Vista Laptop - Local Access / Limited Connectivity

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/acer-aspire-5310-vista-laptop-local-access-limited-connectivity.979481/
Relevancy 55.9%

Here is what I get when I type ipconfig all Host Name Tanya Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List gateway wire net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Realtek on Local connection Windows wireless says internet internet My Vista Only connection RTL B Wireless b g Mbp s USB Network Adapter Physical Address - -D -A -FF- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a ed a d Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -CE-BB-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C E B - EA - D - F B- F B F br DA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description isatap gateway wire net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.255.53.64(Preferred)Click to expand...

this occures when there is no response to the DHCP request.

First, disable the WiFi, cable a connection to the router and retry; what's the result?

While connected to the router, config it for the:
router address and DHCP range
wifi SSID, Channel
set a new admin password and save the settings.

Disable the wired interface, enable the WiFi and retry the WiFi connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-internet-connection-says-local-only-on-windows-vista-wireless-internet-connection.161510/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi there I know similar questions have been posted before but I ve searched the internet and these forums and haven t found a solution that works yet so I m hoping you guys could give me some Only" Solved: Wireless Access new Router: Setup "Local ideas I just set up a new wireless router I ve set up one before so I know the basics and it worked for about hours when suddenly while I was in the middle of Solved: Setup new Wireless Router: "Local Access Only" using the internet it stopped loading pages Now every time I connect to my wireless network it says quot Access Local Only quot or quot Limited Connectivity quot Solved: Setup new Wireless Router: "Local Access Only" and obviously won t let me access the internet It does this on both laptops in the house I ve heard of problems with vista which one laptop is using but since neither can connect I figure that s not the issue Any assistance you guys could offer would Solved: Setup new Wireless Router: "Local Access Only" be MUCH appreciated I ve been trying to figure this out for days now nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

I just moved to Peru for my study abroad. When I first connected to the wi-fi in my homestay I was successful. Suddenly, I cannot get internet access and it says it is an "unidentified network". I have tried manually inputting IP addresses, DNS, etc. I have tried forgetting the network and disabling my virus protection. I can't even get internet when I plug an ethernet cable into my computer, directly into the router. My laptop is the only thing that isn't working, other people's computers work and my iPod and smart phone work with the network. I have a Lenovo Win7 PC, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

A:Cannot get internet access on wireless nor local area, "unidentified"

Hello barooke Welcome to the Seven Forums!

The place to be is in the Control Panel>Network & Sharing Center. Note the image here.

Once you click on the link you will find the troubleshooting options for internet connection at the top as well as for network adapters. If you select the network adapters option select the "all adapters" option as well as the advanced which will see the automatically fix errors box already checked off.

You should be seeing a large red X right inbetween the network name on your laptop like unknown and internet when first opened. If the first attempt using the network adapters option works that will become a solid line as seen in the image there.. Clicking on the red X itself is the same as selecting the internet connections options which also sees the automatically fix errors box checked off under Advanced.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/245456-cannot-get-internet-access-wireless-nor-local-area-unidentified.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I am logged on as administrator.  Usin Win7 Ultimate 32 bit.  can not start Event Log service.  Any suggestions?

A:Windows could not start the Windows Event Log service on Local Compurter. Error 5: Access is denied

Hi Bob,

This issue can be caused due to the incorrect permission settings for the administrators group.

I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. In the "Start" menu, locate "Command Prompt". Right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Type the following commands, then press "Enter" to execute them one by one. Please note the space before the command and its parameter.

takeown /f C:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\rtbackup
cacls C:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\rtbackup /G administrators:F

3.   Restart the computer to check the issue.

What’s the result?Arthur Li - MSFT

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/44479c49-55e6-4bd7-b25e-3f2a6497306e/windows-could-not-start-the-windows-event-log-service-on-local-compurter-error-5-access-is-denied?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 53.32%

Friday morning windows installed several updates on my work computer most of them being Windows Defender stuff No problems Local Update Windows Only after Access Internet that day Only Local Internet Access after Windows Update Monday morning I come in and I could no longer connect to the internet only our Local network The first thing I tried was to system restore prior to those updates It removed all but one KB Windows says this cannot be uninstalled once it is installed I also googled this extensively and one of the fixes I tried was to go into Services and both the wired connection and WLAN connection were set to manual and disabled so I set those both to automatic and restarted the computer Still no internet access Even booting in safemode I have no access I ve run multiple virus scans rebooted our modem we don t have wireless etc etc Only Local Internet Access after Windows Update Here are some logs I thought might be helpful in solving the issue If anything else is required Only Local Internet Access after Windows Update I ll post it asap ipconfig allC Windows system gt ipconfig allWindows IP Configuration Host Name Design-Output Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List hsd ma comcast net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Realtek RTL C P C P Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC NDIS Physical Address - - - B-DB- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c a a aaf Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Tuesday February AM Lease Expires Friday February AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -A -BE- - - - B-DB- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip EnabledTunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled YesTunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled YesTunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled YesTunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled YesTunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e e Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabledroute printMicrosoft Windows Version Copyright copy Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt route print Interface List b db Realtek RTL C P C P Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC NDIS Software Loopback Interface e TO Adapter e Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft to Adapter e Microsoft to Adapter IPv Route Table Active Routes Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link Persistent Routes NoneIPv Route Table Active Routes If Metric Network Destination Gateway On-link On-link e e On-link fe On-link fe c a a aaf On-link ff On-link ff On-link Persistent Routes None

A:Only Local Internet Access after Windows Update

Open your device manager then left click your network adapters then right click and select uninstall for your wireless and wired connections.

Reboot your machine.

Hit start
Control Panel
NetWork & Sharing Center
Manage Network Connections
Right Click Your Connection
Select Properties
Un-Check Ipv6
Select ok

Run the Fix it below this remove the Tunnel Adapters from your machine.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9728872

Download Adware Cleaner Save it to your desktop Right Click it run it as admin Click the delete button allow it to run it will reboot your machine let it Attach the log in your next reply.
http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner

Set your dns to open dns or google dns.
http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001161.htm

Open Elevated Command Prompt Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.Now type or copy and paste the commands below one at a time hitting enter after each.

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

net stop "dns client"

net start "dns client"
nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh winsock reset catalog

Exit

Restart computer.

After completing the above task then Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it.If TFC doesnt prompt a reboot then please do so manually

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/484195/only-local-internet-access-after-windows-update/
Relevancy 53.32%

Friday morning windows installed several updates on my work computer most of them being Windows Defender stuff No problems Update Only Internet Windows Access Local after that day Monday morning I come in and I could no longer connect to the internet only our Local network The first thing I tried was to system restore prior to those updates It removed all but one KB Windows says this cannot be uninstalled once it is installed I also googled this extensively and one of the fixes I tried was to go into Services and both the Only Local Internet Access after Windows Update wired connection and WLAN connection were set to manual and disabled so I set those both to automatic and restarted the computer Still no internet access Even booting in safemode I have no access I ve run multiple virus scans rebooted our modem we don t have wireless etc etc Here are some logs I thought might be helpful in solving the issue If anything else is required I ll post it asap ipconfig all C Windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Design-Output Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List hsd ma comcast net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Realtek RTL C P C P Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC NDIS Physical Address - - - B-DB- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c a a aaf Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Tuesday February AM Lease Expires Friday February AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -A -BE- - - - B-DB- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e e Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled route print Microsoft Windows Version Copyright Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt route print Interface List b db Realtek RTL C P C P Family PCI-E Gigabi t Ethernet NIC NDIS Software Loopback Interface e TO Adapter e Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft to Adapter e Microsoft to Adapter IPv Route Table Active Routes Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link Persistent Routes None IPv Route Table Active Routes If Metric Network Destination Gateway On-link On-link e e On-link fe On-link fe c a a aaf On-link ff On-link ff On-link Persistent Routes None nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

My wife used a local password to log into Win 10, and got a Microsoft account, specifying another password. The next time she booted up, neither her old nor new password was accepted. We don't have a Win 10 CD to fix things, because we downloaded Win 10 online. I've tried downloading a couple of password workaround apps to my own PC, creating a USB drive that can be booted from, putting it into her computer, and configuring her BIOS to boot from it, but Windows always starts same as usual; looks as if it's not reading the USB drive regardless of the BIOS setting.

I've also tried booting up in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, but I'm not given a command prompt; just a larger login screen. Has anyone any other ideas to either change her password or just disable her password requirement altogether? She doesn't need that type of security anyway.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/51924-forgot-local-password-cant-access-windows.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello sir/madam
i have windows 7 64 bit home premium dell laptop. Recently i am having some problem regarding the local disk F:/. I don't have any idea from where this drive originate and it's showing 0 bytes as disk space and whenever i am entering a CD no CD drive is coming and on autoplay following message is showing : F:/ drive access denied. I have reinstalled cd drivers from dell website but it's not helping. It would grateful of you if you will help me.

A:Windows 7 : Local disk F:/ access denied

Please try this go to start>control panel>administrative tasks>Computer management>Disk management

Right click CD drive and choose properties>driver tab click on uninstall, then go back to Disk management got to action menu choose re-scan disks it will re-add drive and see if your issue has gone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/266729-windows-7-local-disk-f-access-denied.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My girlfriend's laptop (HP pavilion entertainment) only recently had these problems.

-When shutting down, it stalls on the shutdown screen where it says "Shutting Down...", and the spinner keeps spinning.

-Both her LAN and wireless connections suddenly only have "local only" access. I've tried restarting CMOS/BIOS (not sure) by holding down the power button for 30 secs and reinstalled the network adapter drivers but both to no avail. I have also read about many other people with vista having this problem, but nobody had a definite solution.
Thanks ALOT for any help =)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wont-shut-down-local-only-network-access-vista-home-basic.612623/
Relevancy 52.89%

Fresh install of Windows build -bit nbsp The network interface on my Intel DP SG motherboard was detected by Windows but I No ok, Windows to 7 but Access network Internet local Connects also tried installing updated drivers directly from Intel and updating the BIOS nbsp My Windows 7 Connects to local network ok, but No Internet Access local IP address is pulled from the DHCP on my router just fine nbsp I can view other PC's on my network and access their shared drives without any problems nbsp The other PC's have access to the internet as well without issues even another one running Windows RC build though I get the yellow triangle Windows 7 Connects to local network ok, but No Internet Access with exclamation point in the taskbar saying quot No Internet Access quot nbsp I've tried shutting off the firewall setting the connection to public etc with no change nbsp I've also gone through the Windows Network Diagnostic process and it says quot Your computers seems to be connected properly but the device or resource www microsoft com is not responding quot nbsp I also attempted to PING WWW MICROSOFT COM from a CMD prompt and it is able to use DNS to find the IP for www microsoft com is but there is no response and the PING times out I looked through a bunch of forums and there seem to be others with similar issues but I didn't find any resolution nbsp Please help

A:Windows 7 Connects to local network ok, but No Internet Access

Hi,

You may try the following suggestions to check the issue.

Suggestion 1: Reset and restart the router.

Suggestion 2: Search and update the firmware for your router, if the firmware update is available on the manufacturer’s website.

Suggestion 3: Reset TCP/IP and DNS
=====================
1. Click the “Start” button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Please enter the following commands, and press enter after each

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET
IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

4. Restart the computer to check the issue.

Suggestion 4: Assign a static gateway
=====================
1. Click "Start", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotation marks) to Search box and press Enter.
2. Right-click the network connection (Local Area Connection) and click "Properties".
3. Click to highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click "Properties".
4. Point "Use the following IP address". According to your router’s settings, fill in the “IP address”, “Subnet mask” and “Default gateway”.
6. Click “OK”

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, please upload your System Information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing.

How to collect the System Information
==========================
1. Press “Start”, type in “msinfo32” (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and then press Enter.
2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.
3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
4. Send the compressed file to us via SkyDrive.

Arthur Li - MSFT

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c0c52150-098c-4c5f-b2f9-8b7170b6f69f/windows-7-connects-to-local-network-ok-but-no-internet-access?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 52.89%

Windows 7 Connects to local network ok, but No Internet Access, i tried to reset dns, tcp/ip, but the same problem appear, but when I'm trying using modem, internet is working fine..
i get the yellow triangle with exclamation point in the taskbar saying "No Internet Access". I've tried shutting off the firewall, setting the connection to public, etc. with no change. I've also gone through the Windows Network Diagnostic process and it says... "local Area Connection 2 doesn't have a valid IP Configuration"

please help

Relevancy 52.89%

hello all,

This is my first posting here.

I have two computer connected through LAN and botah have XP. My one computer has internet connection and I am using Windos internet sharing for my second computer.

For past few days, I am unable to upload from file from my second PC (which doesnt have direct internt connection) .. previously everything was working fine but now when i try to uplaod any file using FTP programme from second computer, it will show the progress bar of uploading but it never never complete 100% uploading.. it hangs..

Please help me

Regards
Tabish

Relevancy 52.89%

vista will not connect to the internet keeps saying local only i have been using for 8 months no prob not changed any settings and have another pc using xp that connects to the same wi fi access point i have tried all vista repairs and also restored can anyone help thanks

Relevancy 52.89%

Hi I'm new here and I have tricky problem I got a Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini connected via LAN to my wireless router Thompson speedtouch I can access this disk from home or work with my XP-machine just fine It works both over wireless and over over LAN/Wireless cannot Vista NAS access web-access from inside my liocal network But My Windows Vista Home premium cannot access it over the local network I Tried bringing the vista PC to work and could access the device over web from there But from my local network at home I cannot I have tried shutting off the local firewall and Avast for good measure setting up sharing Vista cannot access NAS over LAN/Wireless over the Network reviewing hosts file and what I could find of network settings I found someone on the web fixing a similar problem by setting a registry-setting with NTLMv so as to open for older Samba-traffic but this did not help me Here are the symptoms I can find When I try to access The HIPSERV-device over the Local Network I can Vista cannot access NAS over LAN/Wireless find it in the machines-list and get to type in name and password I can then view the content but when I open a folder with something in it the file browser stalls and starts loading without anything happening Finally it gives up and a pop-up says in Norwegian that the network area may be unavailable when I try to access the web-interface I am forwarded to the login-page for the device I type in name and password and I get a loading screen and it stalls and loads untill I am forwarded to a blank page on the local IP When I try to access it over ftp I can log in see all files but if I try to download any of them it stalls and stops communicating It seems to me there might be something blocking the computer from downloading anything from that area but though I have some experience with networking I am no expert and I cannot figure out anything that could cause such an issue Since it works flawlessly with my XP machine I am inclined to sy the issue is with the Vista-pc but I cannot rule out the router as the culprit Any ideas would be appreciated Kind regards not so allwise

A:Vista cannot access NAS over LAN/Wireless

So, no ideas? anyone?
(bump)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/221742/vista-cannot-access-nas-over-lanwireless/
Relevancy 52.89%

My fiance s son has a system running Vista that was hit by the Vundo virus His brother reinstalled Vista and proceeded to reconnect to my wireless AP When he tried to connect he was prompted for a username password and domain My router Netgear Can't Access AP Wireless Vista WNDR isn Vista Can't Access Wireless AP t set up to provide these things and doesn t even have the option to do so His brother has a laptop running Vista and it is still conected and working fine There are other secured wireless APs in the area and he tried to connect to those When he did he was properly prompted for the WEP key Of course we didn t have one but it was just a test anyway He tried to connect manually to my AP and was then prompted for a WEP key We entered the key and it came back with that same username password and domain dialog Doing some searching Vista Can't Access Wireless AP we ran across something on WPS but that was just an automated set-up routine which I didn t use Further the affected system was working fine before the Vundo hit and nothing was done to the router We tried turning off WEP and then his PC connected like a champ But I d no intention of leaving security off so I turned WEP back on while he was connected figuring that once connected he was past the security stage and would stay connected No dice As soon as I reactivated WEP he was dropped But his brother s laptop stayed connected Any ideas nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-cant-access-wireless-ap.884176/
Relevancy 52.46%

This seems to be a widespread problem and it is really driving me totally nuts I have a brand new PC together with a faithful wireless router and to cut a long story short ended up with a successful internet connection for a couple of weeks via my usb wireless network adaptor Then a week ago for reasons unclear but hopefully irrelevant given subsequent system recovery the internet connection stopped and reverted to local access only Initially resetting the router nightmare only" Vista access "local worked but not for long Then I tried various system restores and netsh commands to rebuild the tcp stack and repair winsock if they were ever corrupted Finally I tried the DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle registry entry and that Vista "local access only" nightmare seemed to work but again not for long Since then nothing at all has managed to get away from just local access The wireless signal is very strong I have restored the vista image from the recovery disk and installed only the precise driver that worked during the period of successful internet connectivity I have disabled IPv added the registry entry above all to no avail I can access my wireless router itself via my vista machine and can ping my xp laptop which is connected just fine My iphone connects my friend's xp laptop connects and another friend's mac book connects The only thing that doesn't connect is this vista pc and the only thing that is on is vista fresh from recovery and the driver from October that worked before Any help would be gratefully appreciated

A:Vista "local access only" nightmare

From a clean restore of the vista image I tried these steps from another discussion forum:

"I ALWAYS do the following steps to solve this problem in many computers, and it never fails:

1) Power Settings to High Performance
2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\[guid]\DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag 0 wireless interface
3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\[guid]\ArpRetryCount 0
4) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents 255 (hex)
5) Start -> Run -> services.msc -> Disable "IP Helper"
6) Start -> Run -> ncpa.cpl -> Right click ur wireless conection -> Uncheck TCP/IP 6
7) Start -> Run -> cmd ->
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global ecncapability=enabled
8) Reboot"

Didn't fix my issue, but the current state of play is that not only can I connect via IE to my wireless router, I can ping my laptop by name, and I can ping google.co.uk using it's ip address rather than the name.

Also I noted that in my laptop's ipconfig /all I had DNS servers other than my router specified, whereas in vista I had my router specified (albeit that the router is set to assigning it automatically from the isp and shows a different value again).

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/223636-vista-local-access-only-nightmare.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi folks - - looking for help here with what seems to be a common problem: Vista can "connect" with wifi but won't allow me to browse - it says "local access" only.

A little background: this is my neighbor's wifi; he kindly allows me to use it. Recently he installed a new router & Comcast account. Using his password, my wife's Mac can see and use his network just fine. I can't. Status lists connectivity as "local."

FYI, I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 on a Toshiba satellite.

I've tried a number of fixes gleaned from other forums: resetting my adaptor, disabling IPv6 in several places (i.e. in connection properties and in the device manager); etc. Many offer various recipes for digging into the registries to do this or that, but I'm leery unless I know for sure that that's the right thing to do.

Any suggestions?

A:Vista "Local Only" access problem

Hi,

Sorry but unfortunately as I am/ we are unable to assist you in this matter as we cannot verify your statement on the "Use of your neighbor's wifi".

Again, sorry about that.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/293035-vista-local-only-access-problem.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Sorry for replying to such an old thread but I am having a problem like this I wonder if this problem has been fixed by a windows update but the pc I am working with has a clean install of vista home premium with sp and sp Only" wifi "Local - Access Vista installed As with Vista wifi - "Local Access Only" the problem in the op Vista wifi - "Local Access Only" here the laptop connects to the router but displays the status local access only The laptop is an Acer and the Vista wifi - "Local Access Only" router is a netgear dg g I have narrowed this down to being something to do with the encryption type as with encryption disabled the connection works perfectly If I try to configure WEP I get a message saying wps will not work if I use this Other methods like WPA and WPA claim to connect but have the 'local access only' message when the pointer is hovered over the connection icon Any help greatly appreciated as this is a time consuming problem but I am more curious to know how it was resolved as none of the numerous suggestions I have tried have worked Thanks

A:Vista wifi - "Local Access Only"

Hi -

I moved your post to this new thread.

Old thread from 2008 closed --> http://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ly-262636.html

Let's see what the system can tell us about your wifi. Please download the zip file, extract the EXE file - save to Desktop. RIGHT-click on EXE icon, select "Run as Administrator".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/atta...griff2_exe.zip

2 Notepads will open - one behind the other. Save both as text files. Attach them to your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wifi-local-access-only-477902.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I am on 3 SSD's running RAID 0, and when I sometimes access files on my local drive(s) (RAID 0), my computer will hang up for a few seconds, and I'll hear one of my other hard drives click (I have a 1TB and 2TB HDD), then what ever I was doing will load. I sometimes see the light flashing on my CD Drive and hear it spin up as well, it does this randomly. Is it because my motherboard is on a RAID setting? Or is Windows looking for cached files on my other drives? Has anybody else had this issue before? I've had this question for a while but I've never seemed to find the answer.

A:Does Windows 7 Access Other Drives While Loading Files on Local Drive?

I'd test the HD from Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 .

RAID can be a problem with Win7 and surely isn't any faster than the SSD's you already have. Nor is it redundant which is the first letter in its very name, since we see users who lose all their data here when one drive fails. The only reason I see to use it after five years of seeing only problems is for those who much work with gargantuan files, and I'd simply buy bigger drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351568-does-windows-7-access-other-drives-while-loading-files-local-drive.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Ok I have two computers running off a router, both vista, and on my main computer i cannot connect to the internet. It says it is connected to an unidentified network and it has local access only. It worked fine a few days ago but now it doesn't . I should also point out that this computer doesn't have internet but my other computer connected by the router has internet access with no problem. there are no wireless devices, all cords.

And before this all happened i used the trinity rescue kit to clear my password because i could not remember it and the program worked well but i think it is a coincidence that now my internet does not work. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!!!

A:Windows Vista Local Acces Only

Duplicate thread. Closing this one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-local-acces-only.965072/
Relevancy 52.03%

Ok I have two computers running off a router, both vista, and on my main computer i cannot connect to the internet. It says it is connected to an unidentified network and it has local access only. It worked fine a few days ago but now it doesn't. I should also point out that this computer doesn't have internet but my other computer connected by the router has internet access with no problem. there are no wireless devices, all cords.

And before this all happened i used the [program name deleted by mod] to clear my password because i could not remember it and the program worked well but i think it is a coincidence that now my internet does not work. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!!!

Relevancy 52.03%

I cannot install a new program because I get an error message "not logged onto local machine" in the program setup. I have an administrator account so I don't know what's wrong. Any idea? Thanks!

A:Log onto local machine in Windows Vista

Have you tried right clicking the install.exe file and "run as Adminstrator" An irritating security feature of Vista. Although you are a user/Administrator, (I'm assuming that is the status you have?), you are not a power Adminstrator.
You do not say which Vista version you are using, but you can, in the advanced versions, also create a Power user account, as you may have been more used to in XP.
Go to Start/All Programs and right click the command prompt.
Type Control UserPasswords2.
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
Now log out and login as Administrator.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/log-onto-local-machine-in-windows-vista.597609/
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm pretty unfamiliar with PC as I use a Mac at work. My computer does not let me access the internet and I have tried many different solutions that have worked for other but have not worked for me. Its a Vista Home Premium version and I have a HP computer. Not sure if my network card is HP 802.11 b/g or if it is the Intel PRO/100 VE but they both show up under network adapters.

I really would like to get this machine running as I haven't used it in a few years and now its giving me this issue

Thanks!!!!

A:Windows Vista Local Acces Only

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

Try to connect by ethernet and wireless (if you have Wi-Fi) and ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-local-acces-only.1143144/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am sincerely hoping someone has an idea on how to fix this problem My new laptop came with Windows Home Basic installed After it crashed multiple times a day I switched to XP Pro As it turns out my laptop was not built to support XP there are no drivers available for sound or the expandable drive So now I ve installed Vista Ultimate bit My wireless connection was fully functional under both XP and Vista Home Basic But for some reason I cannot access killed my wireless Vista Help! connect to any wireless networks secured or unsecured using Vista Ultimate And a hard-line connection works fine I can recognize networks and attempt to connect to them but I immediately receive a notice that quot This computer cannot connect to wireless networks quot I uninstalled Help! Vista killed my wireless access and reinstalled the wireless card and it appears the card is Help! Vista killed my wireless access functioning normally I ve changed virtually all the settings on my D-Link wireless router but that isn t the issue since I cannot connect to any networks I ve also removed Norton and turned off the windows firewall so there aren t any firewalls impeding access Finally I switched all of the networking and wireless services from Manual to Automatic Oh - and I of course have made sure the wireless feature is turned on In sum I ve spent about hours on the phone with Toshiba and D-Link the result of which was a promise from Toshiba to quot work on the problem and call me back quot Are there any ideas Could something have happened during the transfer from XP to Vista Ultimate It just doesn t make sense that it worked fine under Vista Home Basic but not with Ultimate Has anyone heard of a similar problem Thanks very much for any comments Relevant details Laptop Toshiba Satellite U -S OS Windows Vista Ultimate bit Wireless Card Intel Wireless WiFi Link AGN nbsp

A:Help! Vista killed my wireless access

You need to go to the Toshiba web site and down load the Vista drivers for the Toshiba Satellite U305-S5107 that are NOT on the Microsoft Vista DVD.

Toshiba and MOST other OEM's do NOT provide MS with their drivers for ALL of their machines.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-vista-killed-my-wireless-access.611805/