Windows Support Forum

Sharing the MyDocs folder with multiple users

Q: Sharing the MyDocs folder with multiple users

hi guys i m working on a winxp machine that has users that need access to all the same information i d like to keep things as transparent as possible so windows doesn t really folder MyDocs users the multiple Sharing with appear to function differently than normal i ve Sharing the MyDocs folder with multiple users also read up on changing the target folder for the quot My Documents quot folder my idea is to create a new folder and point both accounts MyDocs folder towards that new folder i understand there may be the occasion where one user will want to use a file that the other user has open but that is a minimal concern i d also like to make is easier to back up the files from both users with a single operation instead of digging through things so the big question is is there any reason that its a bad idea for users on the same Sharing the MyDocs folder with multiple users machine to use the same logical folder as their my documents folder nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Sharing the MyDocs folder with multiple users

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Sharing the MyDocs folder with multiple users

Your working too hard at the objective. There's a Shared Documents fold that is intended to be shared by everyone.

Under the All Users, there's the \Shared Documents; everyone has read/write/delete
permissions and can copy or create files therein.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sharing-the-mydocs-folder-with-multiple-users.104273/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi My first post here My question is about File multiple on Sharing between and multiple PC's restricting users how I can File Sharing and restricting between multiple users on multiple PC's set permissions for the users on a network of x computers that all have Windows Home edition to share folders Here s what I ve got Three computers each have x users The users are x Manager Admin rights and x employee User rights On one of the computers I have folders which I d like to share read write with the managers File Sharing and restricting between multiple users on multiple PC's whilst there are only a few that I d like to share with the employees So basically I have all business data stored on PC and I want the manager login on PC and PC to be able to view these folders Restricted access for File Sharing and restricting between multiple users on multiple PC's the employees Is there anyway I can do this I ve been looking at Homegroups Workgroups but it seems I can either share with everyone or no-one If this is not possible is there something I can do with an external hard drive or something else Or maybe I need a plan B As a compromise I d be prepared to do plan B Plan B would be PC has only x user Manager and has all the data for the business in several folders PC has only x user Manager and has access to ALL the folders on PC PC has only user Employee and has access to a limited number of folders on PC How would I plan B Thanks in advance Graeme

A:File Sharing and restricting between multiple users on multiple PC's

I'm not so sure about this working with Windows Home version because it's limited in certain areas like creating a Homegroup though it can join a Homegroup.

Here is the deal on separate shares for particular users. You need to add those users as standard accounts on which ever machine you need to set up the special shares for.

Once you add them to your machine as a standard user they will show up on the Share With list in the Homegroup permissions settings, at that point you can add them them and adjust the permissions as desired. It's really as simple as that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/268546-file-sharing-restricting-between-multiple-users-multiple-pcs.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi all, this is my first post so please bear with me!

We've just bought a new laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8, after my wife dropped our trusty old Dell.

I have installed our now rather aged copy of Office 2007 via my user account (as I guess the administrator), doing a standard install, with the programmes dropping into Program Files.

When my wife then logs into her account she cannot see or use Office (on either the fancy tiled screen, as I can, or the desktop). I have no idea what to do to ensure that she can access and use office, short of installing it again when logged in as her?

I hope this makes sense?

If not already evident I am pretty non-techie, so please assume (correctly) minimal knowledge when replying.

Any and all help gratefully received.

A:Sharing office across multiple users - help please!

Hi there
It's a SINGLE USER system although re-installs per user on the SAME PC don't count as separate activations.

You'll just have to re-install for each user.

The only other way is to install it on a SERVER - but then you'd need SERVER software and each person would need a SEPARATE machine to access the server -- so in your case just re-install OFFICE for each user.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/28906-sharing-office-across-multiple-users-help-please.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I share my PC with my Dad and he really uses it for nothing more than some web browsing and e-mail but I set him up as a secondary user just for the heck of it all is well The problem I m having at the moment though is when I try to update some programs it only updates the programs on my user account even though we both use the programs A specific example is programs on PC...sharing Multiple 1 users I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser yesterday I upgraded it to v to fix the GIF problem After I checked my Dad s version of Firefox I noticed it didn t update and for that matter all the changes I ve made to my copy of Firefox over the past year different add-ons didn t update on his copy either So I tried to switch to his account and downloaded the update from there but he obviously doesn t have administrative Multiple users on 1 PC...sharing programs privelages on his account so I couldn t make the upgrade that Multiple users on 1 PC...sharing programs way Is there a way to upgrade his programs the programs we share from my profile account I m a carpenter not a techie so any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Tom Lastly how do I install programs that only he uses to his profile not mine He uses a program for his digital camera and I use a different one I d like to install his Kodak version on his account and keep my Adobe on mine nbsp

A:Multiple users on 1 PC...sharing programs

I've never seen an application only update for one account. Sounds like a problem with Firefox. If you apply Office updates, they will apply to all accounts.

As for installing software, it's installed to C:\Program Files\ not a profile-specific folder. Software is installed on the computer, not in a specific account. Remember, you both share the same C:\Windows folder and several registry hives. If you want to install two different versions of the same software, try installing them to different sub-folders in C:\Program Files\, but it still may not work. That depends on the software.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multiple-users-on-1-pc-sharing-programs.345159/
Relevancy 73.1%

I found an app called SoftXpand which allows you to set up 2 different monitors and keyboard/mice and allow 2 person to use the same computer.
But it's only supported on Windows 7 and I have not tried in on games as I don't have a second set of keyboard and mouse.

Does anyone know of an app that will allow me to use my computer and play let's say, Diablo 3 with a friend on the same computer?
Paid or free, doesn't matter.

https://hardforum.com/threads/sharing-one-pc-for-multiple-games-users.1917074/
Relevancy 72.67%

Have a computer that freezes up to almost a standstill and there is a My Documents folder that has several other MyDocs in it Can t delete it either Anyway I have run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware but symptoms still come back Any ideas HijackThis log Logfile of Trend Micro folder and Computer MyDocs Freezing HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system ibmpmsvc exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Notes nslsvice exe C Program Files McAfee Endpoint Encryption for PC SbClientManager exe C Program Files Lenovo TrackPoint TP SERVINST EXE C Computer Freezing and MyDocs folder Program Files LENOVO HOTKEY TPHKSVC exe C Program Files Altiris AClient AClient exe C PROGRA Lenovo HOTKEY tpnumlk exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsFileAgent exe C Program Files Altiris Altiris Agent aexnsagent exe C Program Files Symantec pcAnywhere awhost exe C WINDOWS system cisvc exe C Program Files Diskeeper Corporation Diskeeper DkService exe C Program Files ThinkPad Utilities DOZESVC EXE C Program Files Juniper Networks Common Files dsNcService exe C Program Files Common Files InterVideo RegMgr iviRegMgr exe C Program Files Lenovo Communications Utility CAMMUTE exe C Program Files LENOVO HOTKEY MICMUTE exe C Program Files Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe C Notes nsd exe C Program Files McAfee Common Framework FrameworkService exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C WINDOWS system mfevtps exe C Notes ntmulti exe C Program Files SAP SAPsetup setup Updater NwSapAutoWorkstationUpdateService exe C WINDOWS system rpcnet exe C Program Files ScriptLogic Desktop Authority Client Files SLClient exe C WINDOWS System TPHDEXLG exe C WINDOWS system TpKmpSVC exe C Program Files Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components UNS UNS exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mcshield exe C Program Files ThinkPad Utilities PWMDBSVC EXE C Program Files ScriptLogic Desktop Authority Client Files CBM ScriptLogic CBM Agent exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiapsrv exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C PROGRA Lenovo HOTKEY tpnumlkd exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Lenovo HOTKEY TPOSDSVC exe C WINDOWS system TpShocks exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C PROGRA THINKV PrdCtr LPMGR exe C PROGRA THINKV PrdCtr LPMLCHK exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Lenovo HOTKEY TPONSCR exe C Program Files Lenovo Zoom TpScrex exe C Program Files ScriptLogic Desktop Authority Client Files CBM ScriptLogic CBM UserExperience exe C Program Files SafeBoot Tray Manager SbTrayManager exe C Program Files SAP SAPsetup setup Updater NwSapSetupUserNotificationTool exe C Program Files Mindjet MindManager MMReminderService exe C Program Files McAfee Common Framework udaterui exe C WINDOWS system igfxext exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements apdproxy exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files Altiris Altiris Agent AeXAgentUIHost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files McAfee Common Framework McTray exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files ATT Connect Participant pull exe C Program Files Mindjet MindManager PDF-XChange pdfSaver pdfSaver exe C Program Files Common Files Macrovision Shared FLEXnet Publisher FNPLicensingService exe C Program Files IBM Lotus Quickr connectors DIMon exe C Program Files TechSmith Snagit Snagit exe C Program Files TechSmith Snagit TSCHelp exe C Program Files TechSmith Snagit SnagP... Read more

A:Computer Freezing and MyDocs folder

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here. If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far. Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues. If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed. Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread. Thanks and again sorry for the delay. We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scr DDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic: Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here: How to create a GMER logThanks.DR

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/392722/computer-freezing-and-mydocs-folder/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi Guys Chasing some advise here I m trying to setup some sort of file synchronization between different work sites geographically plus or more mobile laptop users What I would like to be able to do is have a main location main office server that hosts a copy synchronization of all the files and then have each user or site have access sync to designated folders Some may have access to all of them others may only have access to one or two folders My initial thought was Dropbox Purchase a main account GB for the server and then create other user accounts where I could setup shares The problem with this is a Dropbox doesn t support Servers as a service It can be done but it s not supported by Dropbox so I m reluctant to go there My next thought was Windows Live Mesh This seems to be a great feature that doesn t need the cloud for storage Syncs peer to peer which I don t mind In fact I like this quite a bit because if users come to the main office and plug in it can sync using the LAN and not the internet A great way for an innitial sync if we re talking a multiple and / between Syncing users sites files Sharing few GB of files down the track From what I gather Windows Live Mesh also works on server and The problem I see at present is that it only allows sharing up to other users well short Sharing / Syncing files between multiple sites and users of where I need to be The files in general will be small MS Word and Excel files I can have a dedicated ADSL link solely for this purpose if I needed I could also potentially Sharing / Syncing files between multiple sites and users rent a dedicated server at a datacentre too as an alternative option Where I m getting stuck is finding the right unique solution for what I need Just wondering if anyone here has any ideas on what would work with a Many different accounts b Server and Workstation OS s XP Windows Server and Cheers Adza nbsp

A:Sharing / Syncing files between multiple sites and users

Hi,

just some thoughts:

a while ago I was contacted by someone who had set up something like but for just 5 users, they where constantly having issues with Dropbox complaining about version conflicts on modified files.
For what I saw, I gathered that there tends to be some latency that coupled with some apps flagging of files as the open them (MS Office in particular), makes it too easy to stumble with this problem.
I imagine having as many users as you plan would make it even worse, as they're more likely to need to access the same files...
A VPN, while more complex, might be a better solution in the long run, although it doesn´t provide offline access to the files.

HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-syncing-files-between-multiple-sites-and-users.986160/
Relevancy 70.95%

In programming an Internet Explorer addon for Windows prior to Vista I had designed a system whereby an administrator would set multiple data Vista between users properties common in Sharing certain properties from an application and any other user who logged on to the OS and used IE could then have those properties read by the addon The administrator setting those properties did so from a Sharing common data properties between multiple users in Vista separate Sharing common data properties between multiple users in Vista application of the product which needed administrative rights in order to run That application used the HKLM registry hive under SOFTWARE MyApplication to set the data properties for MyApplication This no longer works in Vista unless the user starts IE as an administrator which requires administrator rights due to registry virtualization I believe In Vista Imposing that requirement on the user to have administrative rights to use IE in order to use my addon is not a viable option What then is the methodology in Vista for sharing common data between multiple users who logon to Vista on a single machine at separate times using different logons Is the common data directory ie FOLDERID ProgramData accessible by all users with whatever integrity level they are running If the common data directory is the solution can I create a directory beneath the common data directory and write a file to that directory from my separate application running with any integrity level or does the application need to have administrative rights in order to do so as it is currently designed Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/185113-sharing-common-data-properties-between-multiple-users-vista.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I have Windows XP on my PC and have set-up multiple users. How can I share all my MS Outlook files/folders (email, calendar, contacts) with another user on the same PC, so both can read and receive the same email and can share the same calendar and contacts?

I also have another Windows XP PC in a home network. How can I set it up so that all my MS Outlook files/folders are shared and synchronized between the 2 PCs, i.e., email, calendar and contacts can be accessed and updated on either PC?

A:Sharing MS Outlook files with multiple users on same PC and home network

For the second half of that question it all has to do with your ISP. You probably need to set it up so it leaves a copy on the ISP server. This will allow you to get it on multiple computers. Then there is another option to delete the email once emptied from your deleted items box in Outlook. That way you can use either computer to get the new emails (or viewed but not deleted from another computer).

I'm not sure if this helps, but it could work.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sharing-ms-outlook-files-with-multiple-users-on-same-pc-and-home-network.20509/
Relevancy 67.51%

On several of the computers at work, I am running out of hard disk space. The culprit seems to be the Temp folders in Local Settings. Some of these computers may have up to 50 user profiles.
I'd like to be able to delete the files in the C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Temp folder on an XP machine, where xxx is the user name. I was hoping to use wildcards to target the user as all of the users that I am concerned with have a similar beginning (same numbers)to their user name
If possible I'd like to run a batch file on startup or shut down instead of pushing out a script on a routine basis. I was also worried about erroring out if the folder did not exist for a particular user. I believe I would need to unhide the folder as well.

thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-script-to-delete-files-in-folder-across-multiple-users.802238/
Relevancy 67.08%

My laptop was getting BSoDs. I tried a system recovery but after it failed, I brought it to a computer shop where they tried three more reinstalls of Windows 7, and Vista to try fix it. I have four Windows.old files - Windows.old, Windows.old.000, Windows.old.001, Windows.old.002. I want to restore the files from my documents from my first version of Windows 7 but there are no files in the My Documents folder in Windows.old. Is it possible to recover the files.
Thanks in advance.

A:Restore Users folder from Windows.old after multiple system recoveries

Hello Nigel,

Double check in each of the four Windows.old folders to see if one of them may contain the files. In addition, check to see if you have either C:\$INPLACE.~TR or C:\WINDOWS.~Q folders, and check to see if the files are in them.

Once you have what you wanted to recover, you could use the tutorial below to delete the four Windows.old folders to regain the HDD space they are taking up.

Windows.old Folder - Delete

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/257066-restore-users-folder-windows-old-after-multiple-system-recoveries.html
Relevancy 62.35%

hi everyone im setting up my small home network, i have windows 7 on my desktop and vista on my laptop, i can access files via both so im happy i have set it up ok the main problem is when im using my laptop and go into network then click on my desktop i can access the "user" folder which contains Liam & Public. I dont want to share the folder "Liam" only the Public folder but im having great problems trying not to share the "Liam" folder. I go to C:\users\liam right click the folder then sharing and then advanced sharing which is unticked, but I am still able to access this folder through my laptop any ideas why?

hope you can help

thanks again

Craney

A:Why does Windows keeps sharing my "users" folder?

Try to modify the permissions (in properties).

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/67726-why-does-windows-keeps-sharing-my-users-folder.html
Relevancy 60.2%

What is the best way to share execution priviledges between limited users, power users, and administrators?

Say an application has already been installed by a higher priviledged user type, and a limited user cannot execute it - e.g. an ISP login software, or Spy Sweeper. Note: ISP login software lacks profile, so I suppose I could just create that, however, Spy Sweeper is a head scratcher.

Should the application be uninstalled and reinstall under All Users? How do you install an application to allow All Users to use it?

I have already tried to use the "Run As" right-click Properties w/Shift key approach and that does not work.

Is there an approach with regard to local security policy that would do what I want to do? How is that done? Or, is Access Control List the way to go?

-- Tom

A:Sharing applications between users, power users and admin

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-applications-between-users-power-users-and-admin.397908/
Relevancy 58.91%

User 1 logs in and works does whatever... Doesn't log out but screensaver goes back to user screen. 

User 2 logs in (switching users - not logging out user 1) and gets to work. 

Sometime later (ie. not right away) and not at a prescribed time, the network stops working.  

I try to disable / enable the network adapter and the machine freezes.   Reboot fixes problem.

If user 1 or user 2 is the only one logged in then never a problem.

Anyone heard of this? 
Thanks for any help!

A:Multiple Windows 7 Users-Switch between Users-network stops working

When switching users, it's always a good idea to have User 1 close out any applications and documents they have open and then log out before User 2 logs in. It sounds like you have fast user switching enabled, but I'm not aware of that causing any network issues -- unless User 1 was doing something that required a network connect.

Check the Event Viewer for error logs from the time it froze when you tried to disable and enable the network adapter. Post the event ID and description here if you need help diagnosing the issue from the log files. Perhaps another fix is to disable fast user switching, so that users are always forced to log out before someone else can log in.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/557364/multiple-windows-7-users-switch-between-users-network-stops-working/
Relevancy 57.62%

Can anyone help me regain Security Permissions to C:\Users\All Users\Application Data Folder which I lost while looking at the access rights. I mistakenly closed the box while playing with the access rights and lost any access to the file.
I pulled the access rights to the file using icacls they are below.

application data
D:PAI(D;OICI;FA;;;WD)(A;;0x1200a9;;;WD)(A;OICI;FA;;;SY)(A;OICI;FA;;;BA)S:AI

I am thinking I can change the information in the file and restore it. Not sure exactly what to change?

I was also thinking I could pull the info from another computer running with the same operating system and reapply them to this file? Would this work?

I looked at Previous Versions of the upper level folder. Can I restore a previous version of this whole folder? Will it restore the Application Data folder with the prior permissions?

A:Lost Access Permissions to C:\Users\All Users\Application Data Folder

Are you asking about the Application Data or Appdata folder?

If Application Data, this is not a real folder but a junction used to allow interface with legacy programs. No access is necessary since it is pointing to the Appdata folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/361079-lost-access-permissions-c-users-all-users-application-data-folder.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Got a problem here with a classroom full of Windows XP Pro PCs, where if I put new shortcuts into All Users\Desktop, when a user logs on they can only see the shortcut as an unknown file type which does not run. Any existing shortcuts in All Users\Desktop work ok, just not any new ones!

The PC's are on a Windows 2003 Server network (with AD) and have local user profiles.

A:Network users cannot run shortcut items placed into All Users Desktop folder

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-users-cannot-run-shortcut-items-placed-into-all-users-desktop-folder.708031/
Relevancy 56.76%
Relevancy 55.9%

Greetings We have three medical clinics and the front desk staff float from clinic to clinic depending on their schedule I only started here a few months ago and I am working on upgrading their Dell xp systems to Windows systems The problem begins to crop up when say a user named Sally will come in and sit down at this system for the first time Well she needs to login click on outlook icon let it find her exchange PST and Easy to users way on systems.. Multiple win7-64 one? clone multiple copy settings to her user profile then she launches the application for the scanner that she uses to scan in ID's and insurance Multiple users on multiple win7-64 systems.. Easy way to clone one? cards for every patient coming in The scanner is set to default settings and needs to be tweaked on color depth and double sided etc Then after that she needs to launch her Medical EMR application and then choose various options in the citrix client TL DR - Each user needs to spend minutes resetting the defaults at this updated system Well this is fine except I am planning on updating front desk systems at each clinic the user Sally will need to do all these things EACH time she finds herself sitting down at a system I just swapped out the previous evening My thought is Multiple users on multiple win7-64 systems.. Easy way to clone one? this put a single system down in one clinic and Multiple users on multiple win7-64 systems.. Easy way to clone one? let it sit a week giving most of the float users a chance to work on it for a day setting all of their preferences etc Once I get a bunch of them with user profiles on the local drive grab an image of that drive and just deploy that to each system I roll out Couple issues I am running into First would be that I would have to register each Win copy with a new serial which I have The next issue is we have a mis-mash of Dell optiplex systems 's - 's even a couple 's I would need to strip out the hardware specific entries in the system and let it refind everything and I have read a few forums talking about this but I do not fully get it yet My biggest question is this Is this the fastes easiest way to go about this or is there some magical app out there I am missing out on that will save me even more time Thank you in advance for any ideas you may have on this Joe

A:Multiple users on multiple win7-64 systems.. Easy way to clone one?

If Sally logs onto the computer with her name it should have all her preferences saved do you have a separate account setup for every user, maybe if you setup the account as admin to begin with then after everything is setup the way she likes remove the admin privilege and do the same for all users

look at this tutorial on Seven Forums
User Account - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/278327-multiple-users-multiple-win7-64-systems-easy-way-clone-one.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi all,

I have a wireless network set up in my house and I want to share some of the folders on my computer so that other family members can listen to my music etc. When I click to turn Network Discovery on, and click apply, it just stays off, same goes for File Sharing.
When I try to turn public folder sharing on, after I click apply I get an error message saying "incorrect function". I have shared stuff on my work network so I'm not sure what's wrong here.

Thanks
MrsB

A:Can't turn Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing on

Make sure your network is designated home or work; NOT public.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-turn-network-discovery-file-sharing-and-public-folder-sharing-on.896468/
Relevancy 54.61%

Problem - Windows 2000

In Windows explorer - I right click on a hard drive - Properties - Sharing tab - click on 'Do not share this folder'

The problem is, when I reboot - it defaults to 'Share this folder'

How can I stop this?

A:Win2K - folder sharing - defaults back to sharing after reboot

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-folder-sharing-defaults-back-to-sharing-after-reboot.271290/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hey guys thanks for reading this post For work I run software that can only be opened a single time on a computer - no way around it - however on my Windows computer I figured out that I can open the software on different user accounts on the same computer and the software runs perfectly on the accounts simultaneously when it is activated I am very annoyed by having to switch back and forth between three user profiles dozens of times a day to check up on the software and errors so my big question is Say my main user profile is quot Joe quot and my second profile is quot Multiple PLEASE Question Screens HELP Multiple - and Users Bob quot and my third profile is quot Teddy quot HELP PLEASE - Multiple Users and Multiple Screens Question is there any way I can have one of my monitors always display Joe's screen activity while another monitor always display Bob's screen activity and my third monitor always display Teddy's screen activity HELP PLEASE - Multiple Users and Multiple Screens Question - essentially I have three user profiles running simultaneously at all times and I want to see each of them individually on my three screens These user profiles on the same computer of course again just hate switching back and HELP PLEASE - Multiple Users and Multiple Screens Question forth Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated Thanks Jay

A:HELP PLEASE - Multiple Users and Multiple Screens Question

Hello Jay, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You might consider using a virtual machine instead. This way you could have the program running in each separate virtual machine, and be able to view them as separate opened windows from within your account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/31968-help-please-multiple-users-multiple-screens-question.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I'd like to set two different home page tabs to come up in IE7 when our users open up the their browser. We can't figure out how to make the home page settings work for anybody who logs onto the computer.

Is there somewhere in the registry and allows a person to do that?

The only thing I have seen in the registry for default home pages will only allow us to set one home page.

A:Multiple Home Pages for multiple users

I think I understand your question. Load Internet Explorer 7, then click on Tools, and then Internet Options.

In the General tab there is a big box at the top for Home page settings. As the instructions say, "To create home page tabs, type each address on its own line".

So if you want Google and Yahoo to open when you first load Internet Explorer 7, you need to type this in the box:

http://www.google.com/
http://www.yahoo.com/

I hope this helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/multiple-home-pages-for-multiple-users-158018.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi All,
I've recently setup a clean install of Win10 onto a new system.
Prior to this I backed up my 'Users' folder from the old setup (also Win10) onto my d:\ drive, on a second HDD.
Now that the system is up and running, I've noticed that the backup 'Users' folder is being 'seen' by Win10 as a system folder, resulting in my inability to rename it etc.
Searching for a newly created document that is located in 'My documents' on c:\drive results in it being called up as existing in:
c:\users\neil\documents (where it actually lives)
d:\users\neil\my documents
d:\documents and settings\neil\documents

How best can I disassociate the d:\drive backup 'Users' folder from my system folders ?
Thanks for the assistance.
Cheers, Neil

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/64596-backup-users-folder-seen-system-folder-post-win10-clean-install.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi All,
I've recently setup a clean install of Win10 onto a new system.
Prior to this I backed up my 'Users' folder from the old setup (also Win10) onto my d:\ drive, on a second HDD.
Now that the system is up and running, I've noticed that the backup 'Users' folder is being 'seen' by Win10 as a system folder, resulting in my inability to rename it etc.
Searching for a newly created document that is located in 'My documents' on c:\drive results in it being called up as existing in:
c:\users\neil\documents (where it actually lives)
d:\users\neil\my documents
d:\documents and settings\neil\documents

How best can I disassociate the d:\drive backup 'Users' folder from my system folders ?
Thanks for the assistance.
Cheers, Neil

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/64596-backup-users-folder-seen-system-folder-post-win10-clean-install.html
Relevancy 54.18%

A past virus must have caused this.The C:\Users folder is not visible in explorer for some reason.I can still visit the contents and the pc works fine,but this is not right.Also, there is a lock on my users/alexandros folder icon.Maybe it has something to do?

A:Users folder not visible in explorer,lock on admin's user folder icon?

Oh,note that i went in and tried to give "users" read and write rights of the users\alexandros folder to see if the lock goes away ,but i saw the processing was taking too much time and also some files had access denied so i quit.I hope i did not mess up

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/300824-users-folder-not-visible-explorer-lock-admins-user-folder-icon.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I clicked on the Hidden box of Properties for a couple of my folders.

I lost my limited user account folder in the Users folder. How do I get it back?

Thanks,
theAdmiral

A:I lost my limited user account folder icon in Users folder.

You mean you hide it? If that what happened, just change the folder view setting to show up the hidden folders.
Refer here:
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide

If that isn't what happened, then elaborate the situation much more.
Take Care

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/195276-i-lost-my-limited-user-account-folder-icon-users-folder.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi,

I have a problem in installing the Adobe Acrobat professional 7. During installing this software , the software cannot access to the folder Documents and Settings/all Users/Documents. I know that I am the administrator of the computer but when I want to acess to the folder it denied. I think during uninstalling the old version of Adobe 5, this problem was happened (maybe I deleted some share files).

the Adobe Acrobat Professional 7 cannot copy any file in this folder (Documents). I would appreciate it if you could help me to fix this problem so I can install this software.

Thanks
Kambiz

A:Access Deniel For Documents Folder In All Users Folder

Please help me to fix my computer.

Kambiz
Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40214/access-deniel-for-documents-folder-in-all-users-folder/
Relevancy 53.32%

HELP!!!

I turned my computer on after work and found that it seemed like everything had been deleted, as in I had no installed programmes anymore and my documents, pictures and videos libraries were empty. Also that I had no record of my email anymore.. So I had a look and found this new user folder (Dan.Dan-PC) which was created in my users folder.

My old user (Dan) is still there which has all my old information and library structure there but it is not being showed anymore. It is some virus which is loading these new libraries on startup!! Please help me!!!

I did a scan with AVG and got this:

A:Virus making new user folder in users folder!?

You might try the procedure's listed in the guide. This system seems to be pretty far gone. Interesting virus, a swing and a miss for AVG.
How to easily clean an infected computer (Malware Removal Guide)

Having an extra drive with a recent system image + system restore procedure using DVD is the best method for fixing these problems.

Of course these days you need to keep that extra drive unplugged if you really want to keep it safe.

You might want to try the security section of the forum for more help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/330730-virus-making-new-user-folder-users-folder.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Win 7 x64 just reinstalled. I want to protect MyDocs etc from loss due to crashes. I remember on XP I had MyDocs etc running on a 2nd HDD sep. from drive C.

Any 'how to tutorial' on this?

A:Need tutorial on how to sep. MyDocs away from Cdrive

I not expert, but just put all your documents in folder on others 2ndHDD drive (not c). Then right-click 'Documents' and then click 'include foldrer' and navgate to that folder where you put your documents already.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/344488-need-tutorial-how-sep-mydocs-away-cdrive.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have multiple users on a windows xp computer using IE and having downloaded and installed sp I use spybot S amp D and ad award to keep the computer running but I've now lost the ability to load ad aware starts to initilaize and then stops I've removed and downloaded another version several times to no avail Other programs are hanigng up periodically aol multiple from multiple users problems particularly I ran Hijack This and can tell I have problems Can you help Hijack this log--Micro Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system csrss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS System multiple problems from multiple users svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS acsd exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA exeC WINDOWS wanmpsvc exeC WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exeC Program Files Citrix ICA multiple problems from multiple users Client ssonsvr exeC WINDOWS System alg exeC WINDOWS system Ati multiple problems from multiple users evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exeC PROGRA VERIZO SUPPOR SMARTB MotiveSB exeC WINDOWS System hphmon exeC WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exeC Program Files Creative SBAudigy Surround Mixer CTSysVol exeC WINDOWS system CTHELPER EXEC Program Files Creative SBAudigy DVDAudio CTDVDDet EXEC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC WINDOWS system BSPLAYER EXEC WINDOWS system exeC WINDOWS cmmon exeC WINDOWS system ezSP Px exeC WINDOWS system regdata exeC Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUNOTIFY EXEC Program Files Real RealPlayer RealPlay exeC Program Files DeskAd Service DeskAdServ exeC Program Files DeskAd Service DeskAdKeep exeC Program Files America Online aoltray exeC Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXEC Program Files Verizon Online SupportCenter bin mpbtn exeC WINDOWS System HPHipm exeC Program Files TrojanHunter THGuard exeC Program Files America Online waol exeC Program Files America Online shellmon exeC Program Files America Online aolwbspd exeC unzipped HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http searchproject net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www velocitymicro comR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http searchproject net panel index htmlO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Search Relevancy - D E B - CE- B-BE B-A B E - C Program Files SearchRelevancy SearchRelevancy dll disabled by BHODemon O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - BHO HTML Source Editor - A DFDA - D - E - C C- ACDC A - C WINDOWS MSFinder msf dll disabled by BHODemon O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - HKLM Run zBrowser Launcher C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exeO - HKLM Run UpdReg C WINDOWS UpdReg EXEO - HKLM Run SBDrvDet C Program Files Creative SB Drive Det SBDrvDet exe rO - HKLM Run QuickFinder Scheduler quot C Program Files Corel WordPerfect Office Programs QFSCHD EXE quot O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exeO - HKLM Run Motive SmartBridge C PROGRA VERIZO SUPPOR SMARTB MotiveSB exeO - HKLM Run HPHmon C WINDOWS System hphmon exeO - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe... Read more

A:multiple problems from multiple users

You are using an outdated version of hijackthis. Please download the newer version.Download HijackThis from:HijackThis Download SiteThen post a new log

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/8273/multiple-problems-from-multiple-users/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey guys, im brand new here and I wonder if anyone could help me. Im trying to find a way to automate my multiple monitor setup a bit. I have 2 user profiles, one which I use for work, were I need two monitors setup and one which I use for gaming - I only need one screen here. Is there a way I can log on and the setup changes automatically so I don't need to fiddle around - I can just log on and get gaming? Im up for any solution there may be!

cheers in advance guys

A:Multiple Monitors for Multiple Users

Hi welcome to the forum

i have not seen or heard of of what your trying to do. i have searched google but did not find a answer to it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/351692-multiple-monitors-multiple-users.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a big problem with sharing. If i want to share anything in C:\Users folder, whole C:\users get shared. So if i want to share "C:\Users\Username\Documents\SharedFolder", it will share whole C:\Users folder and not just the one i selected.

I have most of my data inside documents and on the desktop. So i still have to use USB flash drive to transfer data because i don't want to share whole C:\Users

Is there any way to fix that issue?

A:Sharing and C:\USers

Right click ..\Users\Username folder.

Select Share With NOBODY

Apply and wait

Right click target folder in ..\Users\Username\whatever

Select Share With

select Everybody or whatever

Apply and wait

Now, only the subfolder should be shared

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/80521-sharing-c-users.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I just loaded Kodak Software under my user accoount on my Vista Dell Notebook. I see that it also shows up on the desktop and can be run from other user accounts (Family, daughter, and so on..) How do I change the setting so that it goes away in these other accounts and just stays active within mine?

Thanks,

Pete

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sharing-applications-among-users-411552.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I've managed to figure out how to share files with the guest account on my XP pro. I can't, however, figure out how to share programs such as winamp, real player, etc. It doesn't work when I put them in the same folder, the same way, as the files I've moved. Someone have a solution?

A:Sharing programs w/ other users

It is not possible to share applications. (ok there are a few specialist applications which can be shared but generally speaking it is not possible.)

Each pc needs to have the application installed in its own right. That done the applications files can be shared but even then only one PC at a time can access the file.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sharing-programs-w-other-users-123582.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Not sure if this is the correct forum but...we run XP Home and have 3 user log-ons. Each has Outlook as the e-mail programme and we all use the same e-mail address...unfortunately if one user logs on and opens the e-mail it is then not available to other users...likewise the Contacts list in Outlook is not shared between users. I know you can share contacts between users on a Network but how do you do it on one PC?

A:XP Users sharing e-mail

Is this with Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.

I am not familiar with Outlook, so hate to post and answer reflecting OE, when you are using Outlook

thanks....
Other option would be to just create 3 seperate email accounts with your ISP or whoever you have email with and use them independantly with each user.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-users-sharing-e-mail.228811/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have two computers running XP Pro on a home network. I have disabled simple file sharing.
On computer one I have users John and Joe. On computer two I have Brian and Betty.
Is it possible for John to allow Brian access to certain folders and Betty with other certain folders? If so, what is the best way to accomplish this?

Thank you for looking.

A:Sharing folders with different users w/ XP Pro

You do that with account permissions on the machines. Make sure that all of the users have accounts on each of the machines, then adjust the folder permissions to allow or not allow the specific users to access them.

Note: Do NOT use the Deny option, just add users with specific permissions and make sure that Everybody does not have permission.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-folders-with-different-users-w-xp-pro.830025/
Relevancy 51.6%

My roommates and I decided to set up sharing between the computers on the wireless network. So I managed to stumble my way through it and get the correct setup using a user profile with the same name and password. Everything works fine on other computers, but I managed to click something to the effect of "Remember my credentials" on my computer while trying to access the other computer with my normal user details (hadn't figured out all of the sharing at this point). I don't particularly want to log into that profile anytime I want to see what is shared, it defeats the purpose of setting up the network. So how do I get it to stop remembering my credentials?
Using Windows 7 Home btw.

A:Sharing between users on different computers

Are you asking that you want to break the automatic connection to other computers? And have it request a password? If so open Windows Explorer find the connection to the other computer(s) and highlight it right mouse click and select disconnect. Then make new connections as you did on the other computers, without the remember credentials.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/93948-sharing-between-users-different-computers.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Howdy, I have Office 2010 installed and I just added another user to my computer. Most of my installed programs are available to the other user but for some reason Office hasn't carried over. It's for my daughter and I want her to have access to Word for homework, etc. Does anyone know a way that I can share office with her user profile? Any help is most appreciated.

A:Sharing MS Office with other users

Have you tried right-clicking on the Start Screen, accessing the all apps view, then finding the specific app in question and right-clicking that and selecting "pin to start"? Alternatively, you could try a repair (or full) install and see if you get the "install for all users" prompt but I don't use Office 2010 so I can't say for sure. Anyway, good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/33309-sharing-ms-office-other-users.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Is there a way on XP for different users to share the same desktop with all of the same Icons, background, etc.? I'm not referring to remote desktop usage.
Thanks

Relevancy 51.6%

I'm thinking of upgrading my wireless network routers and one of the things we have figured we'd be happy to have is if we had user access to all the computers on the network. also, if it matters to anyone we have 6 computers in our home network.

The question might not be clear so I thought I should clerify what I want.
What should I look for? Or, what routers would work for this objective?

Thanks alot Yurielnam

A:Sharing users in the network

Just make sure you are not running XP Home or Vista Home basic. You will be limited to a 5 machine network.

Some links and info here:

http://willsit.com/resources.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-users-in-the-network.697180/
Relevancy 51.6%

Is it possible to share a folder with a certain user on another computer, like if I only wanted the user bob to have access to the shared folder and not everyone? Or maybe just a certain computer to have access to the shared folder?

Right now I'm sharing drives on my desktop and laptop with everyone with read and write access but I was wondering if there is a more secure way to do this other than selecting everyone when sharing a folder. Just in case somehow a neighbor or someone got access to my network. The way I'm sharing folders right now is to go to the folder properties > advanced sharing > share this folder and then allow permissions to everyone. Thanks.

A:Sharing folders with certain users only?

Quote: Originally Posted by FernE97

Is it possible to share a folder with a certain user on another computer, like if I only wanted the user bob to have access to the shared folder and not everyone? Or maybe just a certain computer to have access to the shared folder?

Right now I'm sharing drives on my desktop and laptop with everyone with read and write access but I was wondering if there is a more secure way to do this other than selecting everyone when sharing a folder. Just in case somehow a neighbor or someone got access to my network. The way I'm sharing folders right now is to go to the folder properties > advanced sharing > share this folder and then allow permissions to everyone. Thanks.

Sure there is. Create a group with bob as the only user. then make that group the owner of the shared folder. Only Bob will have access. If you want the admin (you) to have access as well add him to the group too.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/93883-sharing-folders-certain-users-only.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi guys I have setup a home group network at my small office between PCs for the file sharing purpose and it works fine One thing I have no idea about as how to set an access permission for specific users to let them access my shared folders while the rest to not to do Just two of them I wanna share my files with not the entire homegroup Just to make it clearer each PC has just a single user who s already the administrator and all the PCs are visible in the network map I don t wanna share the permissions HomeGroup sharing How for users to different set ?! folder over my PC as the simple sharing Share with HomeGroup read or read write as it will allow all the PCs to access such folder while I just want PCs to have the access I went to Specific people option but none of the group members is there for sure Then I went to advanced sharing but still can t figure it out as much as I can t find a clear online tutorial of how I can do it My PC which contains How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?! the files is running Window Pro and all I need to do is to share one of my folders with a specific PC PC for example and share another with another PC as no else can access them as well not to let any of the two PCs to access the other s How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?! folder Hope I can get a clear walkthrough so I can get the job done Thanks alot in advance

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/64845-how-set-different-homegroup-sharing-permissions-users.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have two computers that are currently set up with the "homegroup" settings.

One is my laptop, and the other is a Desktop.

On my laptop I currently have only one user profile (Tom Laptop).

On the desktop I currently have 2 user profiles, Media Center and Tom Desktop.

Does anyone know how to securely share files between the Desktop and the Laptop, while prohibiting the Media Center "user" from being able to access the files?

Thanks,

Tom

A:File sharing to specific users

Welcome Tom
This may work
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rmissions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/113986-file-sharing-specific-users.html
Relevancy 51.17%

On Vista I have setup a separate user for my wife who is just now learning computers so I have tried to simplify her experience when she logs in. On my user, I have 2 printers that I use but when she logs in and tries to print her recipes or whatever from websites, the printers aren't accessible. To make it more confusing, if she goes into MS Word the printers are visible but most of her printing is from print pages on websites.

So the question is how do I make my printers visible to her user login? TIA for any guidance

Dan

A:Printer Sharing between Users on Vista

Type devices and printer in search

Go to your printer

Right click go to printer properties, not just properties which appears at the end of the list

Go to security.

Give her permission.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rmissions.html
Works with 7 and Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/280364-printer-sharing-between-users-vista.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi new to Vista I can handle this problem in W on up but I can't seem to figure out how in Vista ---- we have two users on the one computer I want the on programs computer users two sharing one other user to have access to a program shown in my start menu but not in theirs FWIW - All MS two users sharing programs on one computer programs that loaded on one user's quot side quot are shown on both user's start menus but some other programs are not I am the admin quot user quot Using Windows Explorer I found three start menu program list files - user user and all I went to user start program file to copy and paste the program link but the quot user quot and the quot all quot start menus do not show the program that I want user to be able to access and it is not shown in user start or program files either- but it is on user menu And I cannot find anything about sharing or linking programs in the help menus So how does one normally share a program between start menus in Vista And if it is not in the quot program quot list or the quot start quot file lists to show in the start menu where is it Thanks for any help

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/262200-two-users-sharing-programs-one-computer.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Retail -- Just out of box and installed fresh....

Hmmm... I tried to disable file sharing for C:\Users, and it just keeps turning back on by default (by itself).

Strange.

Ive seen a few other posts on topic (google) but no answers so far... Hmm.

I would like to share folders of my choosing, in the meantime -- I'll have to disable file sharing entirely for the behavior to stop.

Thanks.

A:Windows 7 Pro -- C:\Users -- Can't disable sharing

Have you tried turning off the Public Folder sharing, here will show you how -

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-pro-c-users-cant-disable-sharing.917784/
Relevancy 51.17%

Microsoft Office and Student 2010 is avaiable only to the administrator. How do you make it available to other members of the Windows 8 Homegroup?

A:Sharing Programs with Homegroup Users

Hello botageous, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Programs can only be used by users on the local PC that the program was installed on. Other PCs on the Homegroup would need to have the programs installed on it as well.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/30054-sharing-programs-homegroup-users.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I'll try to explain this best I can:

I have two user accounts on the one PC, one for my wife (user) and one for me (Admin).
I dont want to use or see or use her programs. EG Word, Excel, Incredimail etc.
Likewise I don't want her to use or see mine.

How can I setup the users as if its two separate PCs? IE no cross use?
I've had a LONG hunt for this but doesn't seem to be any option never mind a straight forward one.

Thanks......

A:Stop sharing programs between users on same PC

for Windows Store apps, they're already completely separate and there's no way for her to know what apps you have.

for desktop programs, if you really want to completely hide them, you'll have to install them to a different directory than the default locations like Program Files. and then hide the directory. remove the shortcuts that are showing in her account as well.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/26271-stop-sharing-programs-between-users-same-pc.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I'm using xp and I would like to share certain programs with my kids. They are set up with their own screen name with limited access on the same computer. I've tried a few things but to no avail. I know this has got to be simple but I'm just not catching it.
Any Ideas?

A:Sharing with limited access users

Go into mycomputer/ c: drive find the programs you want to share, right click on them and click share. Its that easy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-with-limited-access-users.208240/
Relevancy 51.17%

I want to share a particular folder with someone on a different computer on my office network, but not with everyone on everycomputer on the office network. When I pull up "share with," I can only give permissions to users on my own computer, not to users on other computers. How do I share with a particular user on a different computer?

A:Sharing with limited users on network

Quote: Originally Posted by pgordon

I want to share a particular folder with someone on a different computer on my office network, but not with everyone on everycomputer on the office network. When I pull up "share with," I can only give permissions to users on my own computer, not to users on other computers. How do I share with a particular user on a different computer?

All you have to do for that is create a dummy user on your computer.

Just create a user and password... and then when you do that, that user will be created in the box and then you give him that user and password and he will use that to access those files on your network.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/56425-sharing-limited-users-network.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I am just trying this forum for the first time I have a problem with sharing on our home computer My wife and I each have administrator user accounts on our new Dell computer each of us with our individual password and I want her to be able to see and use the pictures and folders that I have placed in the Picture Library on my user's site My Pictures I have read up on sharing and have gone to Advanced Sharing options and marked Pictures My with Sharing Users by Two Problem the picture folders I have in My Pictures for her to be able to share and see those folders Yet when she has gotten on the computer Problem with Sharing My Pictures by Two Users and entered her user site and password those pictures do not appear on her MY Pictures I have found that she can see picture folders and use them when I have placed them on my site in Public Pictures So I have an alternative way to get pictures to her But I Problem with Sharing My Pictures by Two Users would like to share the My Pictures folder instead and I have tried every way to get it to work But it Problem with Sharing My Pictures by Two Users doesn't work I suspect there is a glich with picture sharing in Windows but I don't know for sure Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fix the problem I am certain that I have marked the folders for sharing correctly but it does not work Could it be that since we are both Admistrator Users that it won't work Please advise LeighTwo

A:Problem with Sharing My Pictures by Two Users

Hi LeighTwo, and welcome to Sevenforums.
It seems to be a permissions problem. What are permissions? The way to control folders in the NTFS system of Windows. Where I could see them? Let's say that every folder has permissions, so to see them just follow this: Rigth clic on the folder -> Properties -> Security.
Here is an example of how it looks (My Windows is in Spanish, so where it says "Seguridad" it is "Security" for you):
As you notice, just under where it says "System" (highlighted in blue) you can see my User acount (Agustin). So what does it mean? That no other user has access to my folders (exept the System that is not a "human user"), in this case My Pictures folder. It is the case in which, altougth I tried to share files, other users won't see them. So what you should do: add your wife's user acount with the properly permissions in the security tab. Here is the way:1) Rigth clic on the folder -> Properties -> Security

2) Clic on Edit ("Editar" in my Windows).

3) Clic on Add ("Agregar" in my Windows).

4) Write your wife's account in the blank place (just the name of the account; for example my account is "Agustin" so I just need to write "Agustin" in the blank place).

5) Clic "Ok" in each window to submit changes. Here is the new user show in the properties window (in my case the new user is Dana).

At this point you are able to share your folder with the user you give permissions.

I read you know how to share files so try it or post back for more help.

By default, Windows give some permissions but not all of them, so if you want the other user be able to modify the contents in the shared folder or another thing that has to do with permissions, you need to mark the especific permission for it.

For example, I want that user "Dana" be able to have all the permission. So if I mark "Total Control" permission, it will mark all the permissions. Of course this must be done in the rigth colum of permissions, which is the one under where it is readable the "Allow" word ("Permitir" in my Windows).
I hope it helps you. In case of any doubt, just post back, we are here to help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/109125-problem-sharing-my-pictures-two-users.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have several sets Merging a multiple folder into sub-folders [SOLVED] tree in single files multiple of folder trees each with multiple sub-folders each sub-folder containing multiple files I would like to merge all of this into a single folder tree retaining the same sub-folder structure and each sub-folder containing a single set of files eliminating all [SOLVED] Merging multiple files in multiple sub-folders into a single folder tree of the [SOLVED] Merging multiple files in multiple sub-folders into a single folder tree inevitable duplicates that will arise from the merging Doing this manually with Windows Explorer is both tedious and time consuming I have to select all of the files in one of the sub-folders then drag the selection to the corresponding sub-folder in the main folder tree choose 'move and replace' and tick 'do the same for the next x conflicts' and repeat this process for each of the many sub-folders Although I did an online search before posting this plea for help I have only seen utilities that will merge all files in multiple folders into a single folder I have not seen a utility that will do what I need I'm hoping that someone will know of a utility that will save me doing this manually for the next many years Thank you in anticipation useful

A:[SOLVED] Merging multiple files in multiple sub-folders into a single folder tree

I would really look into Robocopy from microsoft. It's a pretty simple yet very powerful tool for copying files, mirroring directories, and many other file tasks. Here is a small tutorial outlining some of the cool things you can do. If you'd rather have a GUI, look at Robocopy GUI.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-merging-multiple-files-in-multiple-sub-folders-into-a-single-folder-tree-813450.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have several folder trees each containing many sub-folders say A B C D and so on The names of the sub-folders are mostly the same between the various folder trees although there could be an X Y Z in one folder tree and not in others or only sub-folders in one folder tree and in another Each sub-folder contains many files most of which are the a sub-folders tree in into multiple single Merging Solved: files multiple folder same as those in other sub-folders of the same name For example folder A in one tree may have files of which are the same as sub-folder A located in another folder tree What I am trying to achieve is a single master folder tree containing all of the sub-folders in each of the Solved: Merging multiple files in multiple sub-folders into a single folder tree existing folder Solved: Merging multiple files in multiple sub-folders into a single folder tree trees each sub-folder containing all of the files in all of the sub-folders of that name without any sub-folders or files in each sub-folder duplicated I can achieve exactly this by manually moving files to the corresponding sub-folder in the master folder tree clicking move and replace and ticking do this for the next x conflicts but it is tedious and very time consuming Thank you in anticipation that someone will know how to automate this otherwise laborious process useful nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-merging-multiple-files-in-multiple-sub-folders-into-a-single-folder-tree.1122518/
Relevancy 50.74%

I had a large music library in a folder called music.

I installed itunes, and it decided to re-organize all of my files... So now i have 1,111 (that's right one-thousand one-hundred and eleven) sub-folders in the music folder, each containing a number of sub folders, and each sub folder has only one of two music files in it....

I would be laughing hysterically if there was simply an undo button, but there isn't.

It could literally take six months to manually go to the bottom of each folder tree, pull the one song, past it in the root folder, and then delete the folder it came from, over 8,000 for each of the files in my library.

So the question is: is there some utility i can use to pull all of the files at once, and then delete all of the folders left behind?

thanks,

nick

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extract-multiple-files-from-multiple-folders-to-a-root-folder.396648/
Relevancy 50.74%
A:Help, moving MyDocs,MyMusic,MyPic,MyVideo to D Drive.

User Folders - Change Default Location

Follow the tutorial

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/81982-help-moving-mydocs-mymusic-mypic-myvideo-d-drive.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello I have two computers and a recently bought smartphone One is PC running win and other is a laptop running win bit The smartphone has the latest android update and ES FIle explorer app installed -bit pc doesn't have any user password or shared folders but to permissions to how restricted sharing users give can access wirelessly and over CABLE to a shared folder in the laptop which does have a password and C drive shared with full permissions set to everyone Now as it has a password whenever I try to access from bit PC it obviously asks for it but none of this happens when I access from my smartphone via ES FILE Explorer it goes through and never a password request is prompted Do you know by any chance why does this happen and how can I be sure that no other android with this or any app can access my shared folder freely I thought there might be a way how to give sharing permissions to restricted users to set permissions to specific users but I wouldn't know how to add only my other two devices and make sure no other device can access my shared folders Thanks

A:how to give sharing permissions to restricted users

On Win64 machine, when you first browse to laptop and asked for credentials, there should be a checkbox to "remember" it.

Is that checked?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/373916-how-give-sharing-permissions-restricted-users.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Is it possible to grant another user the use of paid for games/apps when they sign into their Win8 account on the same PC/laptop? I would like them to be able to access them from the Start screen.

If so, what is the process?

Thanks

A:Sharing paid for games/apps between W8 users - Possible?

Any assistance please?

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/15488-sharing-paid-games-apps-between-w8-users-possible.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello,

First post here and I am glad I found this forum. I would like to be able to share certain folders on my windows 7 computer with network users. I would like to be able to do this without windows 7 creating a long list of local users that it asks me to choose from when I boot my computer. Am I wrong for thinking that it should be able to list and assign permissions for network users sepereate from actual users of this computer?

A:Sharing folderswithout creating all these local users!!

Welcome!

Just right-click on the folder you want to share and click Properties. In the Sharing tab, set the permissions to give other users access.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/73955-sharing-folderswithout-creating-all-these-local-users.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi over Sharing users network non-local drive to everyone First post let's go I am trying to find a solution to transferring large files GB between myself and a client of mine at a different location through the internet The easiest one I have found was through a Private Network through Logmein's Hamachi as you can browse other connected computers' files through this network Of course to show the shared drives by the host computer you need to input a username and password through the UAC Obviously if I insert my own username and password I can see the folders I've shared However how do I configure a username password for my client Are these users the Sharing drive over network to non-local users same as local users I would like to avoid having to make a local user for him on my own computer Just for reference I have no control over my network I am connected to so no FTP no port forwarding etc OS Windows Thanks for any help in advance -ZannaXi

A:Sharing drive over network to non-local users

In the access settings allow Read access by Everyone

You can make a password for the Guest account according to this article:
How To Set A Password For The Guest Account

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/36631-sharing-drive-over-network-non-local-users.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello all First off I'd like 7 Need please!! home specific premium in help users sharing to thank anyone who helps me with this in advance I recently Need help sharing specific users in 7 home premium please!! built a dedicated server system for my home to serve movie files music pics things of that nature and we have a few kids in the household who like to click without thinking and delete things and I'm scared my stored files are going to be deleted accidently by one of the kids if I don't restrict their access I am computer savvy and have knowledge of drive permissions to a point but I cannot get the server to allow unlimited access to me but restricted access to the kids The server is running windows Home Premium X Here's what I've tried to no avail created local user accounts on the server for everyone in the family shared the drives I removed quot everyone quot from both the security tab and the sharing tab added the specific users to both the security tab and the sharing tab and set the permissions according to whether I want read or read write access I also left SYSTEM and administrators intact in both tabs went to the client computers and created accounts that mimmick both the user names and passwords of the accounts on the server When I try to access the drives from the client computers I get quot Windows cannot access server X you don't have permission to access server X If I go into the drive properties and Re add quot Everyone quot then it allows me in but with all read write access From what I've read this should work what am I missing Any help would be GREATLY appreciated Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/382918-need-help-sharing-specific-users-7-home-premium-please.html
Relevancy 50.74%

my c drive is fully shared allowing the number of users at maximum i always disable it sharing, @ users C:\ maximum full allowed after logon administrator access when i restart my pc my c is automatically set full sharing maximum number of users is there a worm kindly check the HT log thanks very much Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows C:\ @ full sharing, maximum allowed users SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C Program Files NavNT defwatch exe C WINNT System svchost exe C Program Files NavNT rtvscan exe C WINNT system regsvc exe C WINNT system MSTask exe C WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT system MsgSys EXE C WINNT Explorer EXE C Program Files NavNT vptray exe C WINNT System svchost exe C Documents and Settings ray server My Documents applications HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www mola com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer proxy mola com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard Shellnext http www mola com O - BHO no name - CC -ACF - cac-A A -DD E - C Program Files DAP DAPBHO dll O - BHO no name - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - Toolbar msdxmLC dll email protected amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar DAP Bar - - FC- baf- C C-BCE BD F - C Program Files DAP DAPIEBar dll O - HKLM Run Synchronization Manager mobsync exe logon O - HKLM Run vptray C Program Files NavNT vptray exe O - HKLM Run DownloadAccelerator C PROGRA DAP DAP EXE STARTUP O - HKCU Run dlmMgr quot C Program Files Common Files Adobe ESD AdobeDownloadManager exe quot O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Global Startup WinZip Quick Pick lnk C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE O - Extra context menu item amp Download with amp DAP - C PROGRA DAP dapextie htm O - Extra context menu item Download amp all with DAP - C PROGRA DAP dapextie htm O - Extra button Run DAP HKLM O - Extra button Related HKLM O - Extra Tools menuitem Show amp Related Links HKLM O - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dll O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip ED -D B - DCA-A -E D B NameServer O - HKLM System CS Services Tcpip ED -D B - DCA-A -E D B NameServer O - HKLM System CS Services Tcpip ED -D B - DCA-A -E D B NameServer nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-full-sharing-maximum-allowed-users.161547/
Relevancy 50.74%

We have a new computer in my house running Windows XP Home Edition. My step dad wants to limit each family member to a limited account, but we are having a hard time installing programs so all the users have access to them. I have heard restricing programs is hard, but how do i allow all users to run the same programs with the same save directories and such?

A:New Computer: Problems with sharing applications with all users

Not completely sure what your asking, but you need to be a member of the admin group to install programs so that every member of the computer can access them. Limited account can not install software.

If a program does not show up in a limited account then you can create the shortcut to the program in the "all users" program group.
To see all users programs list, click start, run type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs (assuming C: is the drive windows is on)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-computer-problems-with-sharing-applications-with-all-users.414430/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi

I have a 64bit Windows 7 PC with the whole family?s data on it. Each member of the family has a local user account setup on the PC and share promotions set. The family members PC has a local account with the same name and same password. They are running XP.

The problem I have is, that most of the time all the shares are working but randomly the XP PC?s will stop being able to access any of the shared folders. To fix the issue I have to reboot the Windows 7 PC and then the XP PC?s are able to access the shared folders again.

I have a Windows 7 Laptop and I never have any problems accessing my shared folder of the main PC.

Any help with this issue would be most welcome

Many thanks
Mike

A:Sharing stops working for some users and have to reboot

Does this seem to happen just randomly? or are the other users making changes to the files prior to this issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/67704-sharing-stops-working-some-users-have-reboot.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi all,
I want another user on my PC to have access to my user files/pictures directory. I right click and select share and give this other user co-owner ship. But Vista complains it cant share this folder without an error.

So two quesitons:

1) Anyone know whats going on with this?
2) Is there another way to share user-files between users?

I dont want to move them to the public folder directory since its a large directory (30gigs) and don't want duplicates.

Thanks.

Relevancy 50.74%

Using Vista x hm prem My FF amp TB profiles amp bookmarks were created under the default Administrator in profile Firefox Vista Sharing between x64 users acct in Vista custom profiles - not quot Default quot Trying to SHARE same custom user profile bookmarks between admin amp standard Vista user acct Sharing Firefox profile between users in Vista x64 When try to use FF Profile Mgr to create new profile under a standard user acct in Vista not Administrator amp browse to profile location to select existing custom profile per several Mozilla KBs it s not visible - but quot Default profile is quot Read several Mozilla KBs on using existing FF or TB profiles when creating new acct under another Windows user acct Instructions are simple but KBs may not address issues sharing profiles in Vista x KBs say Sharing Firefox profile between users in Vista x64 should be no problem sharing same profile between users but maybe not in Vista x I have quot show hidden files folders quot checked under the Administrator amp std user acct When logged in under std user acct amp browse to the profile location only default profile is visible Tried everything can think of Re from w in the admin Sharing Firefox profile between users in Vista x64 acct giving permissions sharing the Mozilla appdata folder w a standard user acct Custom profile created in admin acct just won t show in Explorer - no matter what All the security features of Vista x are fine but some are so complex I m sure many users turn off some when possible Tried this for TB - same problem Maybe I missed an article w instructions on sharing profiles in Vista x or just need to change secret setting s No help from Mozilla forum Thanks nbsp

A:Sharing Firefox profile between users in Vista x64

No, you can't SHARE a profile but when you create the new one for each account,
you can COPY the existing (original) profile.

From then on, each is independent.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sharing-firefox-profile-between-users-in-vista-x64.126636/
Relevancy 50.74%

Okay i have a desktop and a laptop desktop user alex password password laptop user alex password password On the laptop i now want to share a folder with the desktop but only for the desktop not for the whole homegroup nor the whole network They are both in in with users/computers the sharing specific network the same homegroup as well as some other computers As the accounts are the same I added the user 'alex' in the advanced sharing-options with full control But it ditn't work so I googled and also added full control for the user alex in the security options But if I want to acces the folder from the desktop I still get quot no permissions quot I resp the user alex have has sharing with specific users/computers in the network admin-rights on both machines Did I miss something I noticed that in the advanced settings of both sharing and security I can always just choose the sharing with specific users/computers in the network local machine as a quot location quot got this something to do with my problem

A:sharing with specific users/computers in the network

*bump*

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/151718-sharing-specific-users-computers-network.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello
I have some users who would like to share just the outlook calendar with some external from a different company. I found some software called
synqya (https://synqya.appspot.com/)
anyone have any experience using this or have any additional suggestions on how to accomplish this?
I have suggested using google calendar, but they do not want to have to input events into both outlook ( for internal use) and then again in google calendar( for the external users)
Any suggestions would be great!
TIA.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563964/outlook-calendar-sharing-with-external-users/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello I am planning to redo my small office network Right now every computer is connected through a workgroup and some computers are sharing files to everyone and some need a login to share other files I want to run a main server where Certain Small Users Office Networking Sharing with File for all the files are on that computer and have it share all the files to everyone else on the network I'm not too familiar with Windows workgroup networking and file sharing I want to have certain files accessible to certain computers and certain files accessible to everyone on the network I'm under the Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users impression that I have to have the main server with all the business documents Then create separate accounts on the Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users server and hand them out to each individual computer After go to each document and specify who can access what with Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users read write Can I share some files to everyone and have certain files limited to other computers at the same time How would someone access the shared files when you need a login and will this login conflict with files shared to everyone and files shared to certain people I remember on my small business network I need a login for certain computers because it is shared to only certain people then how would I access the files shared to everyone when I have to login to see the server files to begin with Also how do I manage backups with this setup Thanks in advance

A:Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users

Sounds like Small Business Server might be the way to go. Easy to use and affordable, plus it meets all your requirements SBS 2011

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/212557-small-office-networking-file-sharing-certain-users.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello I am planning to redo my small office network Right now every computer is connected through a workgroup and some computers are sharing files to everyone and some need a with Certain Networking Sharing Small for Users File Office login to share other files I want to run a main server where all the files Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users are on that computer and have it share all the files to everyone else on the Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users network I m not too familiar with Windows workgroup networking and file sharing I want to have certain files accessible to certain computers and certain files accessible to everyone on the network I m under the impression that I have to have the main server with all the business documents Then create separate accounts on the server and hand them out to each individual computer After go to each document and specify who can access what with read write Can I share some files to everyone and have certain files limited to other computers at the same time How would someone access the shared files when you need a login and will this login conflict with files shared to everyone and files shared to certain people I remember on my small business network I need a login for certain computers because it is shared to only certain people then how would I access the files shared to everyone when I have to login to see the server files to begin with Thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/small-office-networking-with-file-sharing-for-certain-users.1039567/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, I'm having trouble setting up permissions for folders in an XP SP3 workgroup when using advanced file sharing. There's 2 desktops, one of which is holding all the folders I want to share, and a laptop. I can add local users no problems but when I go to add a user from my laptop or the other desktop, I can't see either of the machines in locations.

It all seemed to work OK with simple file sharing on but I'm trying to set this PC up as a VPN server so I want to restrict access to certain folders to certain people only. The computers are all visible in my network places too if that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thx DL

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-see-other-computers-when-adding-users-when-using-advanced-file-sharing.843367/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have two comps networked through my router with file sharing enabled which is working I can view transfer ping each comp What I want to do is in advanced file sharing go to add - location but i don t see my other computer listed They are both in the same work group and I can see it in network places Shouldn t I be able to view it here and get a list of it s users to give specific folder file permissions to That s what im trying to view Can't for users sharing remote workgroup in file do give one user from a remote machine full access to a folder on this machine and nobody else Any suggestions on this Both comps are running Windows XP one Media edition Can't view remote users in workgroup for file sharing the other is pro and is a fresh install do I need to have any specific services running that wouldn t be by default or that would get enabled once file print sharing were turned on Thanks nbsp

A:Can't view remote users in workgroup for file sharing

Try creating an identical user on the local computer where the shared files are, such that this account has the same username and password as the user on the other computer.

Then give permissions to this user on the local computer, and ask the user on the other computer to browse to this folder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-view-remote-users-in-workgroup-for-file-sharing.681330/
Relevancy 49.45%

Ok I have managed to screw up my system (MyDocs, need association open Special etc.) Solved: not folders file - will MyComputer, fix and Solved: Special folders (MyDocs, MyComputer, etc.) will not open - need file association fix need help After a recent major cleanup Windows XP s special folders will not open properly when I double-click them on the desktop I get a quot File does not have a program associated with it quot error instead I can still access the folders by rightclick and selecting Explore I just can t double-click from the desktop Now before any helpful folks write back with info on how to set file associations let me say that I already know how But it seems that Window s special folders i e My Documents My Computer Control panel and the Recycle Bin are not really files or true folders - they are called Special folders Also the problem is self-induced and not the result of a virus or spyware issue - I have done it to myself Too bad I don t have a recent registry backup or System Restore point I can use So my question is how to I fuss with the default associations on the Special folders The only clue I have so far is that there s a feature in the registry called quot CLSID quot which I have caught traces of information suggesting that s where I need to look Thanks W nbsp

A:Solved: Special folders (MyDocs, MyComputer, etc.) will not open - need file association fix

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-special-folders-mydocs-mycomputer-etc-will-not-open-need-file-association-fix.688009/
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a new Toshiba laptop with Win7 Home Premium. I have set up an admin account and my user account, with the guest account turned off.

There are multiple user profiles under the User file on the hard drive: Administrator, Public, Steve, Steve_2 and Steve_2.Steve_laptop

There is nothing in the pictures, documents and video files under Steve.

There are music and documents, but no pictures under Steve_2.

There are music, pictures and documents under Steve_2.Steve_laptop.

There are also two listings under Homegroup on my laptop and three on my desktop -- all listed as: Steve (STEVE_LAPTOP).

My desktop does not show under the Homegroup on my laptop.

Not sure what I did for this to happen, but I'd appreciate any help to clean up this apparent mess.

A:Multiple Users

Copy all the stuff that you want to keep from the Steve_2 and the Steve_2.Steve_laptop
and put it in the Steve account.

Then work with only the Steve account for a week or two. If everything is OK after that, rename the folders for Steve_2 and Steve_2.Steve_laptop to something else.

If all works fine after that, then delete the Steve_2 and Steve_2.Steve_laptop folders

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/multiple-users-481225.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi My question is regarding spybot search & destroy. I have multiple accounts on my pc. When I run spyboton my account the result comes up showing no spyware. However if I then run a scan on one of the other users then I get a result showing some spyware. What I want to know is does anyone know how to configure spybot so that a full system scan will check every account on the pc and show results for all users.Sorry if this is posted to the wrong forum. I tried to post to the spyware forum but was not allowed.Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:Multiple Users On Xp

Good question.

I always assumed it checked each account for spyware, cookies etc; so when I got the report and cleaned everything out, I was taking care of my account and my wife's.

I thought it worked that way with all the programs I have installed such as SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Avg etc;

I hope someone will answer this.

Thanks for asking the question !
Dennis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81478/multiple-users-on-xp/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello.

When I sync onedrive, it creates all of the directories of My Documents in the root of it. I share onedrive with my daughter and would like to clean up the root. is is possible to have the PC may a My Docs type dir and then populate it with all of the dirs and files from my computer? that way there would only be on top level dir and it would be easier to navigate.

I was trying to use SyncDrive but i want seemless file use with office apps.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/69888-sharing-single-onedrive-account-two-users-keep-data-separate.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey everyone,

I have created an issue tracking database to be used by our tech support team. I have split the database so all the information feeds into a new set of tables stored on a shared drive.

I have all the users setup with the Access Runtime files only and I am getting an error when the second person tries to go into the database and create a record. Is there another trick that I am missing? When I tested the database with another user with the full version of Access, we could both add records at the same time, so is this some kind of issue with Runtime? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello I'm brand new to Windows I purchased a Lenovo computer from a computer business They put most of the data and programs from my old failed XP computer onto the new Win This included the Thunderbird email program The computer has two logons They activated one of the thunderbird email accounts for one logon call it the J account but not the other call it the C account So I am trying to activate C's thunderbird activity with 8, Thunderbird, multiple Win users For C's computer Win 8, with Thunderbird, multiple users logon There is an icon in the desktop for thunderbird but no icon on the big Start screen When I try to run thunderbird for C it Win 8, with Thunderbird, multiple users keeps asking me to create an account I give it the appropriate tbird logon no password and tbird searches but finds nothing I get to the window where I can set up more details but it can't find anything either I probably have not provided enough information to get corrective action but I hope I've given enough so that someone can ask me more Thanks Jim

A:Win 8, with Thunderbird, multiple users

I assume you have two users who log onto one computer and you'd like to have their email accounts separate. One of your users has their Thunderbird profile set up. In order to set up a profile for the second user you'll need to log on as that user and then run Thunderbird's Profile Manager. For directions see: https://support.mozillamessaging.com...tiple-profiles

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/17215-win-8-thunderbird-multiple-users.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi

I have Norton 360 installed on my laptop. I've created a separate user account for my daughter on Win 8 but when she logs in I can't see Norton available on her profile.

I've had a look around the forums but can't see anything relating to this.

Thanks

A:Using the same programme for multiple users

What do you mean by "I can't see Norton available on her profile."? Please explain what you are doing.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/49700-using-same-programme-multiple-users.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi

I hope to install and open access WiFi for some holiday cottages.

Will it be possible for a user to hack into another computer on the same connection ?

If so, what can be done about it

Thanks

Mike

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the correct subforum to post in, if not sorry.

I got a simple yet not sure if possible idea. I got the idea when friends come over and I have no second / third / possibly fourth machine for them but since my machine is such an overkill I was thinking about sharing the machine with multiple people. However I am not sure if this is possible and if it is how to.

What I basicly want is:
I have 1 central machine , 4 monitors , 4 keyboards , 4 mouses. Each of those require their own login and take part on the central machine.

I forsee the problem for identifying the screen/keyboard/mouse (possibly sound). But maybe it is possible.

Thanks in advance.

- Blixia

A:Multiple users at the same time

There are a number of possibilities, depending on precisely what you want to do.

You might like this
Home - Multi user Interaction

There is also other similar software available.

You can also run a VPN like Hamachi where all the machines are connected to the net.

Otherwise, you would be better off with a "Home Network", which Windows 7 can run easily. But you will need as many complete machines as you have users, and the requisite peripheral hardware ( Cables, Router, etc )for your application.

Regards....Mike Connor

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/154942-multiple-users-same-time.html
Relevancy 49.02%

on a computer using xp home there are 5 different user logons. only one can get on the internet. they all are administrator accounts . they use macafee anti virus . any help would be welcomed.

thanks pappajohn

A:xp multiple users problem

Do you connect via a proxy? To find out, open up IE, and go Tools>Internet Options>Connections Tab>Lan Settings. If there are boxes checked, or a proxy address, you will need to replicate these settings on all the other accounts.

BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-multiple-users-problem-74107.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Quick question slowing me Multiple users down? guys My dad has this old computer tower that he s recently been ready to throw out the window I It s running windows XP and it recently got a revamp by his computer guy at work He gave him tons of RAM a big new harddrive etc It was running like new for a while It s had one of these revamps once before if not twice He s always ran WINXP on it and when the computer guy re-set the whole thing up he just made an quot admin quot account and quot user quot account and my dad was using the user account just fine He bought his Multiple users slowing me down? gf an ipod nano for xmas and the easiest way to split it up was to create her own username I changed quot user quot to quot mike quot and made a new one for his girlfriend strictly for itunes purposes Since I did that the entire computer has slowed down Thinking it couldn t handle accounts I deleted the unused and empty admin account as my dad was already an administrator still it s slow as anything everything freezes when given too many commands at once which is barely any commands at all Could this be related to a new user on the computer Or should I be scanning for viruses If the too-many-users scenario is correct what is another way of having both his and his girlfriends ipods on the computer at once without having to share eachothers music and itunes library If you guys have any suggestions I d love to hear them Since I am the quot computer quot person of the house logically this is all my fault I m sure you all can understand nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

We have 4 holiday cottages all in a row joined together with a phone line for Broadband coming in to one end

Am thinking about having an ADSL wireless router at one end, and having 2 cables coming out of the ethernet ports to travel down the length of the long building - one to a wireless access point half way down, and the other cable to a wireless access point at the far end to deal with the cottage on the end

Has anyone got any advice on the best type of router (and access points) to use to prevent IP address conflicts etc, considering there may be 10-15 different people each week connected at the same time

And type of cable to use to future proof and advances in speed there may be

I don't think a powerhub connector through the electricity would be ideal as they are on different ring mains

Thanks

A:Best Router for Multiple Users

Addendum

I am from the UK

I swapped the heavy usage broadband (which estimated at 40Gb+ per month download) to another BT line which was coming to the property anyway, and connected the wireless extenders to that

No more IP address conflicts

Originally we had a BT Home hub 3 on the line that kept getting IP address conflicts

Now we have a BT Business Hub

What is the difference ??

What makes this router cope (although I have had a few dropouts since then) ??

Is there a router that is made for multiple users ..... ?????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-router-for-multiple-users.1118811/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey, I was throwing this idea around in my head... I'm wondering if its possible to have two users using the same computer at the same time, but on multiple monitors...

Any ideas ?

Thanks a bundle...

A:Multiple Users On The Same Computer

Yes

But this is the only way i've heard of.My son and up to 5 others can
play NHL hockey with their own gamepad and being a different player.You need a usb hub.
So game playing is yes,but on 1 monitor against the computerized team.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multiple-users-on-the-same-computer.78069/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,

I have been using win xp pro (with sp2) for a while. Recently, I was doing
some cleanup (via add-remove in control panel) and also some older files
(atleast what appeared to be). I must'v done something that I should not have;
Since then, multiple users cannot login
simultaneously; in other words, if someone is logged in, then he has to
logout before I can login. The sign-on screen just returns to the login page,
without any error message.

Please help.
Thanks
GR

A:Help: Win XP and multiple users problems

I guess you mean you cannot 'switch user'? Have you tried doing a system restore to a date before the problem appeared?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-win-xp-and-multiple-users-problems-50580.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I m new to Windows XP - home edition We use Windows at work We have users set up at home my husband my kids XP questions - users multiple and myself Each of my children have their own email address set up but we only set up one for my husband and myself However I ve noticed since we log in separately whoever is on that evening receives the messages in their inbox only So I might go on the next day and not see a message that my husband received the night before XP questions - multiple users Is there a way to have these messages delivered to both inboxes of both users I guess it would have been better to have separate email addresses but we already shared one and would rather not have to notify everyone of a new email address if we don t have to Also if I am logged in and run a defrag or spybot etc does that check everything or would each user need to perform this Thanks for your help nbsp

A:XP questions - multiple users

You could set it up to both access the same file.
Outlook or Outlook Express?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-questions-multiple-users.230568/
Relevancy 49.02%

When an infected pc has more than 1 user, should ComboFix be run on EACH user, or can you just use the ADMINISTRATOR account?
...tia

A:Using Combofix with multiple Users

Hello -If the question is not fully answered in the general Combofix text, I would leave that to a Malware Removal Expert in the Malware Removal Forum area.General discussion on the use of Combofix, and the reasons for running the program, are not permitted on the open forum - Personal use can be dangerous Is your computer currently infected ?? Please do not try any steps if unsure, just follow these directions >>Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== do steps 6-9Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/471306/using-combofix-with-multiple-users/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey all I was running Win XP SP and I ended up getting a BSOD and the quot Irql not less or equal quot error I wanted to start with a repair install of WinXP but suddenly I was reinstalling Windows before I realized it didn't ask me if I wanted to just do a repair It worked just fine Windows is stable and my pre-existing file structure is intact but My new default quot My Documents quot folder is now empty as a result of the new installation but I still have my old quot My Documents quot folder in my old username folder within Documents and Settings on the C So it appears I just installed a new username Is there a way I can quot reconnect quot Windows to default to my Installations Multiple Users and old user name and open things as they were before In other news none of my programs work cause they're missing a dll Did I mess up Multiple Users and Installations something in the registry so now I can't go back Everything is backed up and a full format reinstall may be the easiest choice Multiple Users and Installations but I've had the computer years and would like to avoid the PITA of reinstalling everything and screwing around with my windows settings again Thoughts Thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-users-and-installations-458891.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I want to trun on autologin for myself. My question how do the other users get to the login screen when they boot the PC?

Thanks
SoylentGreen

A:Autologin with multiple users

Hello SoylentGreen, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Well, the only problem with would be that they will startup in whatever user account you have set for Vista to automatically log on to when they boot the PC to. Using this method they would have to open that user account's Start menu and click on "Switch User" in the arrow menu.

You can use password resume on wakeup and a user can put the computer to sleep when done instead. This way when anyone wakes up the computer, they can log on to their own account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/196236-autologin-multiple-users.html
Relevancy 49.02%

My wife gets annoyed that when we play a multiplayer game she ends up with my name as well.. (shows couriant (1).)

I haven't played around with the PS3 but is there a way to get a separate username so she can have her own name?

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,
I am having a problem with IE in XP Home Edition. I have four users on my machine. If any one of them logs on they can use IE without any trouble. If another user logs on by switching rather than loggin off the other user IE crashes with the following message: MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ RUNTIME LIBRARY
Runtime error!
The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual manner.

The only way to get IE to run is to log off the other user using Task Manager. However, this means the other user loses all running background programs and has to go through the logging on procedure next time they want to use the system. I tried upgrading to IE 7 Beta but the result is the same.
Any ideas?
Many thanks,
Hanover

A:[SOLVED] IE with multiple users

This sounds like an add on program is misbehaving. Go to tools, internet options and click on the program tab. Now click on the manage add ons. Go through the list and disable the ones you do not think you need. Now try again.

If this does not work, the security team may be able to help you with a hijack this log.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/solved-ie-with-multiple-users-113487.html