Windows Support Forum

Home Network asking for user ID and password

Q: Home Network asking for user ID and password

I have a Windows 7 computer wired into my home network. It has a printer attached to it that I have set to share. I have a windows 7 laptop and an XP laptop. Both 7 machines can see open the shared drives on the XP machine but when I try to access the shared drives of either 7 machine from any of the other machines I am asked to give a User ID and a password. This is a private Home network. I have no passwords set up on any of the machines. I'm trying to set up the printer on the two laptops and I can't access it without the User ID Password window popping up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Home Network asking for user ID and password

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Home Network asking for user ID and password

This is all normal operation for print/file sharing. If you really want sharing without using passwords (imo a security risk), then you need to google for "anonymous sharing"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-asking-for-user-id-and-password.194484/
Relevancy 80.41%

Greetings I have just clean installed my good old Windows Ultimate x on my gamerPC But that gives me a little problem I can't solve myself When looking at quot my computer quot user password and Network (home) ask for quot network quot then I can Network (home) ask for user and password see my WDLiveTV and my other PC still running Windows If I h then want to Network (home) ask for user and password open one of these to look in shared folders then I am getting a window asking for username and password name of the window is quot Windows Security quot but both places has only a username and not a password I have disablet UAC completely in win I have tried this tutorial Password Protected Sharing - Turn On or Off in Windows Networking Internet quot Password Protected Sharing - Turn On or Off in Windows quot but with no success Windows is still asking for a username and a password I also can't map a networkdrive for the same reason as above I'm quite sure it worked in windows earlier but I can't remember where to make the change What has Network (home) ask for user and password I forgotten This is NOT homegroup I'm asking about but simple network sharing

A:Network (home) ask for user and password

Well in the 8.1 computer ..in network sharing.. advance options..check out whether it has 64 bit or 124 bit encryption..that might be a hurdle (not sure)..just try it out

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/328247-network-home-ask-user-password.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Not sure how actively anyone is tracking user needs here but figured I had nothing to lose by asking for help unable to find an understandable Home? Virtual 2007: running access Home...password to Windows on in PC network Win7 10 Win Win98 printer answer here so far I had been happily running Virtual PC on a Win Home system printing on a network physically connected Windows Virtual PC 2007: Win98 running on Win7 Home...password to access network printer in Win 10 Home? via usb cable to a Win XP system nbsp I have now replaced the XP tower with a Windows tower with that printer attached to that tower and functioning normally When I run Virtual PC on the Win system it quot sees quot the Win system but on trying to install the printer it is asking for a password to the Win system I am guessing that it would require a ton of tweaks to get around this and although I am not a full blown novice I never like fiddling with too many settings that might screw up everything else that is working So long story short is there in fact a reasonably simple way to work around this or should I just give up to progress and new operating systems Thanks to anyone who might be willing to point me in the right direction

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a0dafef1-ad4f-4e1b-926e-78fd41964fad/windows-virtual-pc-2007-win98-running-on-win7-homepassword-to-access-network-printer-in-win-10?forum=w7itprovirt
Relevancy 62.78%

I have two computers amp so I don t frequently use the one I am having the problem with It is Home User-I password pls help lost my have XP a Dell Inspiron Laptop Running Windows XP Home newbie so pls be patient Anyway the Dell got infected with XP Home User-I have lost my password pls help the NSIS Media Trojan amp I tried everything to XP Home User-I have lost my password pls help remove it including but not limited to Webroot spy sweeper It would quarantine it but apparently this thing regenerates in the registry Therefore I decided I needed to really secure my system amp so since I am the only user I deleted the non-admin logon account amp set up the admin account with a password I wrote it down but have lost the paper which I had written the password on The XP Home User-I have lost my password pls help hint is not helping me remember it exactly so I m locked out I bought drive scrubber because I figured since I m locked out and can t use the computer than I might take it to a repair shop or sell it but didn t want others to be able to pull up any personal information So I have two questions Is there anyway for me to legally get back into my computer I have my serial key which came attached to the bottom of the laptop from Dell Secondly if not can I use Drive Scrubber without having to log on first If I can use it will it allow me to attempt to completely reinstall my XP system Thanks for any help I have literally spent hours and hours trying to get rid of the trojan and then for all my troubles I have locked myself out Thanks again nbsp

A:XP Home User-I have lost my password pls help

http://www.pcnet-online.com/downloads/windows-password-cracker-download.htm
this may help,you may be as well reinstalling from scratch,there are programmes out there for cracking passwords,keys etc etc you will need to search for one if thats what you want to do may be an idea to start with a bit torrent site

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-user-i-have-lost-my-password-pls-help.529110/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have four computer networked all using Win 7 Pro or Ultimate. I set up the network as prompted and set th user name and password. All computers are new to newer Dell running 64bit. Went to setup my HPMediaSmart 6TB Server and everything just fine. After all setup everything worked fiine until I wated to axcess the server. A Windows Security window opens requesting Network Password and User Name to connect to the HP Server. Well nothing I input does any good ALL my entries are rejected. This is a total f.. k up as I know what I used for the main network and what I used for the HP Server but neither work. I have tried about everything I can think of and am still locked out. All else fails compltet rest and reboot but just wondering if same problem someone else might have seen for answer. Thank you.

A:Win 7 user name and password for network

Hi TerSans & welcome to SF

You may just need to check the permissions that are set on the server.
I had exactly the same thing happen to me trying to connect to an XP machine. The username & password i supplied was correct but it kept rejecting them because I hadn't got permission from XP to access it.
I suggest looking at the ACL of your server drive, adding NETWORK and assigning the appropriate permissions.

I hope this helps somewhat.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/43949-win-7-user-name-password-network.html
Relevancy 61.06%

vista home basic 9 months since we last used system cannot remember main user password to get into vista

A:forgot user password to login to vista home basic

Welcome to TSF

Unfortunately we cannot assist in the bypassing of passwords, Please read the Rules

Quote:

ASSISTANCE WITH ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES

We will not provide any user with information about the location of websites that assist with the following activities

? software pirating
? hacking
? password cracking
? keystroke recording software
We will also not offer advice, assistance or instruction with regard to any of the above activities, illegal or otherwise.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/forgot-user-password-to-login-to-vista-home-basic-319430.html
Relevancy 60.2%

HELP PLEASE,im trying to connect my Samsung HT-BD1252 Blu-ray Home Cinema 5.1 to my pc wirelessly,ive got as far as the blu ray player finding the pc but asks for a user and then password for login and everything ive tried is wrong,tried it with a laptp as well and same,anyone else had this problem and importantly has anyone got a solution to it,thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/samsung-ht-bd1252-blu-ray-home-cinema-5-1-user-and-password-incorrect-problem-605851.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a network share that I got to often. It used to prompt me in windows 7 for a user name and password. It no longer prompts me and kicks a message Windows cannot access \\TOWER\Share you do not have permission. Some how bad information was entered and saved in Windows 7 somewhere?

How can I get windows 7 to prompt me again so I can enter a new user name and password? Or How can I get rid of the bad auto logon information that is being stored somewhere in Win7?

I have removed and re-added information in Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Manage Your Credentials and still the same issue.
This share is on my NAS so I am the admin. The machine has full access rights configured on my NAS. Nothing has changed on my NAS.
Thank you,
Jim

A:Network Share - How to get prompted with user name and password again?

Hi Jim,
Open Device Manager, on the Network adapters, click to open. Right click and select Uninstall BUT keep the drivers. Re boot and repeat for other adapters.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/194679-network-share-how-get-prompted-user-name-password-again.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Ok so i sorta network password user Changeing over account help out as a sys Changeing user account password over network admin at my friends work but im not computer expert Just a computer and networking lover And about every Changeing user account password over network few months i change my admin user account password on all the computers It s a small workgroup no domain of about computers And im looking for a easy way to change the password on all the computers over the network if possible in a workgroup So i came across PsPasswd from sysinternals now owned by M but i dont think it would work for a workgroup enviroment and i dont really understand how to use it This is the user install guide it provides quot Installation Copy PsPasswd onto your executable path and type pspasswd with command-line options defined below Usage You can use PsPasswd to change the password of a local or domain account on the local or a remote computer usage pspasswd computer computer file -u username -p password Username NewPassword computer Run the command on the computer or computers specified If you omit the computer name the command runs on the local system and if you enter a computer name of then the command runs on all computers in the current domain file Execute the command on each of the computers listed in the file -u Specifies optional user name for login to remote computer -p Specifies optional password for user name If you omit this you will be prompted to enter a hidden password Username Specifies name of account for password change NewPassword New password If ommitted a NULL password is applied quot OK so for starters if this will work in my workgroup enviroment what does the first line mean when it says quot Copy PsPasswd onto your executable path and type pspasswd with command-line options defined below quot The rest of my questions ill ask if this would work in the workgroup Or if you have any suggestions for mass password change in a workgroup also note my admin username and password is the same across the board at the place Any and all help would be awesome nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changeing-user-account-password-over-network.540399/
Relevancy 59.34%

I have a main computer running Vista Ultimate at home holding all my multimedia files in different partitions set up by media type. Example: all music on D, all video on E, all picture on E, etc,etc. Sharing is turned on and password off.

My second machine upstairs is also Vista Ultimate and can see the shared partitions and can access them BUT only by logging in with user and password. I want to eliminate this login and password. Is this do-able. By the way, the second computer is not user passworded at all. I have it set up that when you turn it on if goes straight to the desktop with no log-on.

Can someone please help

Steve B.

A:Password with home network

Put a password on Vista, the default for Vista is to inhibit file sharing if the account has no password.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/password-with-home-network.799899/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi,

I've setup my father's notebook (Win 7 32Bit) to connect via WLAN to the router. Another notebook is already running on that router (did not tried it parallel at the same time yet).

I've setup SSID (I've made it visible at the router for the initial connection), WPA2 & TKIP incl. password. Router allows additional WLAN devices, IP/DNS etc. should be set by the router.

Automatic connection does not connect to the router. Manual connection seems to work, but shortly after "connecting" I'll get a message to input user and password. I have not seen such a screen in conjunction with WLAN connection before (and I've set-up several devices at different routers). I've tried user and password of the user logged into windows, but this did not work.

Does anyone have an idea ? I've searched the web, but couldn't find a similar situation from anyone else.

Thanks
Joe

A:WLAN network connection asks for user and password ???

I am having a similar problem with a connection between a PC (windows 7) and laptop (windows XP) it asks for user name and password and I do not remember setting up this process. the PC is connected to two other PC with XP and a laptop (MAC) Hope someone can help with this.
Thanks
Sesco

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199788-wlan-network-connection-asks-user-password.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network\router,

I have multiple machines connected by switch\router. What I want is to let the system ask any user for the ?network password? when wanting to access any machine via the network (attached). This message (Enter network passwords) sometimes is available and others is not. how to make it appear all the time?

At which level this property is set?

1. At the level of sharing\security of a folder?
2. At level of network sharing?

How to manage this issue? To share a partition\folder but to allow accessing it with user name and password?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

Best

Jamal

A:Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network

The problem is that Windows remembers these user names and passwords unless you tell Windows not to remember them.

I haven't tested out this Security Policy yet but it does tell Windows not to not allow storage of passwords and credentials so it may have the desired effect you seem to be looking for.

Just go to Control Panel, > Administrative tools,> Local Policies,> Security Options,>Network Access, Do not allow Storage of Passwords and Credentials per the picture below. Enabled should restrict Storage of Credentials.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309532-requiring-user-name-password-when-accessing-machine-over-network.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi Guys

I have a laptop running Vista connected to a wireless router. I have a PC running XP connected to the same router via ethernet cable. I have mapped a network drive on each computer for the other computer so I can access shared files and printers.

I would like to know if it's possible to password protect this network to limit access to the shared folders from other users of the network? A one time only password would be ideal.

I would appreciate some advise on the possibility of password protecting the Vista laptop and or the XP Pc (Home version) when accessing the shared drive.

Many Thanks

Tony

A:Home Network Connection Password

On the Vista you can simply turn on Password Protected Sharing in the Network and Sharing Center.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-connection-password.727445/
Relevancy 58.91%

Is there anyway I can get the password to my home network?
Thanks!

A:I have forgotten the password to my home network

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

Assuming you are talking about a Homegroup password, go to your Control Panel and click Network and Sharing Center. Click Choose Homegroup and Sharing Options and under Other Homegroup Options choose View or Print the Homegroup Password.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/212529-i-have-forgotten-password-my-home-network.html
Relevancy 58.91%

In our house we have two computers running Windows XP and also a laptop running Vista One of the computers running XP is connected to a modem and wireless router We have been able to use the internet on the second computer for at least a year and the laptop since Christmas Recently my dad discovered that our neighbours can access our internet connections We do not have file or printer sharing enabled in the network though I tried to tell him before that we protect network?! How my home password do I needed a password on our network and so did my mum He told me to set it up and I have tried many times and I am unable to set up the password On our main computer with the modem and wireless router I go into Control Panel and then Network and Internet Connections then Set up or change your home or small office network A window pops up that says quot Welcome to the network setup wizard quot it goes through a process which does not include how How do I password protect my home network?! to add a password and I can t figure out how else to add one I have searched on google and that is how I found this forum Please help I have figured out how I could do it if the main computer was running vista but that is no help nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

Hi Forum Im hoping Im not the only one that has gone through this but I would Home do How - Solved: delete Network User? I a like some Solved: Home Network - How do I delete a User? help in deleting a user from my home network A friend asked for our network key one night their computer was down etc and I unknowingly obliged being the nice person I am NOW cant seem to get this person off my network no matter how many times I ask them to delete my info and now my computer is running slower I think they do alot of downloading and uploading Is there a way to delete them or ban them from using my network without Solved: Home Network - How do I delete a User? physically sneaking into their home cracking his laptop password and deleting my info off his computer hehehe Any help is appreciated P S Im no expert so please run me through step by step ty Oh I am using Windows XP a Wire Wireless Connection HG Gateway Modem Connection Speed amp Incoming kbps amp Outgoing kbps nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

I have one computer in my home network that I can not share files. I get the message below.
All of the other computer on my network would have a "popup box" where I would enter the Username and Password - but this one computer does not give me that popup.

Also I can access all of the other computer from this on ("GA-EG45M") but I can't access it from the others. Where do I go to authorize "access permissions"? All of the network discovery and sharing settings are set the same on all computers.

A:How do I grant permission to access Network - no user/password popup

Checked this one yet? Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon - Microsoft Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/374942-how-do-i-grant-permission-access-network-no-user-password-popup.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi all.
I would like to know how to map a network drive using a different user name and password within a script file. I would like it written as a .cmd file if possible.

Reason for doing this is because we have a user how needs to connect to a mapped network drive as the administrator but we do not want to disclose the admin password to him.

A:mapping network drive with dif user & password as a script file

Look at the help for net use.

/persistent (Map this drive everytimg they login)
/savecred (save the credentials. ie. username and password)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mapping-network-drive-with-dif-user-password-as-a-script-file.403352/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have noted a number of threads mentioning this issue but cannot see the precise solution I need I have networked two and sometimes three XP PCs and one Win Home Premium PC on a wired domestic network File sharing is fine except that I have to enter the Win user name and password before opening Win folders from the XP machines Previously I had a Vista laptop hooked to the XP machines I didn't need to provide user name and password on my XP PCs once I had decided to remove them on the laptop Vista obviously varies from Win in this regard I have tried the frequent suggestion that I use the same user name and password on all machines I then didn't need to provide these between the PCs except that I needed to enter them every time I booted up a XP machine but not the Win PC where it is easy to allow everyone to boot up without identification I certainly didn't want XP bootup to halt at the Welcome screen I have seen the suggestion that I use 'control userpasswords ' to ensure password-free bootup on XP PCs but I have been bitten by this routine before and don't really want to experiment with it if I can avoid it The strangest thing is that when I decided to remove my user name and password from the Win PC I did manage to get password-free access to and without sharing evehaving file Network enter user password name to the Win PC from the Network file sharing without evehaving to enter user name and password XP PCs but the Win PC then couldn't see the XP PCs at all Anyone got a quick fix allowing me to get access to all network files without getting that annoying popup asking me to enter my user name and my password on my XP PCs

A:Network file sharing without evehaving to enter user name and password

Try this:

1) All Pcs on the network should be in the same workgroup, you probably already have this in place.

2) In win7 advanced sharing settings, set password protected sharing to OFF.

3) Specify what you want to share either by dragging the specific folders to Public Folder or by right clicking on the specific folder and checking the Share this folder box.

4) Now because password protected sharing is off, you need to give Everyone access on the shared folders by setting the permissions. Right click on the shared folders and allow Everyone, you can adjust read, write etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/166119-network-file-sharing-without-evehaving-enter-user-name-password.html
Relevancy 58.48%

When I mapped a network drive it ask me only once for the user name and password and I accidentally click on Remember password. I would like it to ask me the user name and passord everytime when I mapp a network drive to my Windows XP Pro.

Is that possible?

Relevancy 58.05%

She doesn't use a password to log on to her Windows 10 PC. Her user name is her email address when the "Enter Network Credentials" window pops up when access is attempted from other computers. Her email password does not work here. We don't know what password it might be expecting. We've run NETPLWIZ on her machine and cleared the "users must enter a user name and password" box. This has no effect.

Anyone know how to get around this problem? TIA.

A:Wife's PC asks for password on home network.

In the Network Sharing Center | Advanced Sharing Settings | All Networks section you can turn off password protected sharing. That did the trick. I don't know what the stuff in NetplWiz is all about.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/42853-wifes-pc-asks-password-home-network.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I took my old desktop which had a direct connect to a DSL modem and setup it up for as the family computer with wireless access it has internet access just fine I changed its computer-name from Shawn under System Advanced settings to quot family quot so that I could use the same name Shawn for my new desktop which connects via ethernet to the DSL wireless modem I can see the old desktop from the new desktop under network in explorer on the new desktop So i have quot Shawn quot new and quot Shawn-PC quot old but I cannot log in via wireless to the or computer: network home log Cannot into password wrong name old computer The old has the new Cannot log into home network computer: name or password wrong login name quot family quot but I understand the network only goes by the original computer name But quot Shawn quot or quot Shawn-PC quot does not get me in I never changed the password on the old desktop but I did turn it off But even using the old password does not work How can I get access to the shared files on the old shawn-renamed-family computer from my new desktop Thanks win SP x

A:Cannot log into home network computer: name or password wrong

To access the machine using the user account 'Family' you would enter the following at that prompt:

SHAWN-PC\Family

Then enter the password for that account on the old machine.

Tip
It is advised to use an Administrator account when providing credentials. For example Family should be a system Administrator

My apologies if I misinterpreted your problem. You could remove all authentication procedures by going to network and sharing centre > Change Advanced Sharing Settings and then turning off Password Protected Sharing

Hope This Helps,
Josh!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/294788-cannot-log-into-home-network-computer-name-password-wrong.html
Relevancy 58.05%

hi,
i have set up my own home network, because being someone not that familiar with the networking stuffs, i somehow have created a WORKGROUP and things are running fine for the few pc at home, but now i realized that i have forgotten the password for this WORKGROUP,
anyone knows how to locate it? thanks.

KC

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e02d831b-82a5-46a5-ab5d-58f19163c9d5/how-to-find-out-the-password-of-my-home-network-workgroup?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,

I was wondering how to have network user accounts. We have 6 people in our family and they are all using the computers for studying, work ect... I would like to know if we can have the same user account to log onto several differnt machines. For example, if Bob were to do coursework on the upstairs computer, but when he comes back to finish it of, Fred is on the upstairs computer, I would like Bob to be able to use the downstairs computer to finish his coursework, instead of inturupting fred, who is also doing coursework.

I really appreicate you trying to help.
I have been browsing the net for hours in search of an answer but have not found one.

Many Thanks again,
Ben

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-home-edition-network-user-accounts-327645.html
Relevancy 57.62%

How do you make Vista Home remember a network drive password?
What I know is, ether you match the 2 computers the same user name and password or a startup batch file

Do you know of any better tricks or registry tweaks?

A:Vista home to remember network Drive password

Unfortunately, I don't know anything better. Becuase it doesn't retain the passwords by design, there isnt anything real easy for you to do.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-home-to-remember-network-drive-password-489711.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Howdy,

We have a total of 5 PC's running Win7, all are Home Premium except for one which is Professional. When I connect from my laptop to the PC running Professional via the Network, I am not required to log-in... i.e., no username and password are required.

But when I connect from any of the other Win7 computers on the network, I AM REQUIRED to log-in. That creates problems when one of those machines wants to use a shared device on the Win7 Professional PC...

How do I setup the Win7 Professional PC so it does not ask for a username and password from the other machines? I don't know what I did initially to make it so my Laptop doesn't need to login... Guess I did it by accident.

Many thanks in advance!

Doug

A:Password questions about accessing other Win7 PC's over a home network

There should be a save password option when you connect to a network resource that requires a password.

It is also possible you setup a network folder and saved the password.

So when you directly type it in your system assumes the credentials already set for that network share.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/107529-password-questions-about-accessing-other-win7-pcs-over-home-network.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a peer to peer home network. Main PC runs with XP Home. Client runs with W98SE. From the XP machine I can access files on the W98.

On the W98 machine, in Network Neighborhood when I click the icon for the XP machine I get a message
"You must supply a password to make this connection
\\computername\IPC$"
On both machines I am logged in with the same User Name & Password, but this password is rejected.

I can ping the XP by name so no probs with the hardware. Please can someone put me right?

A:Home Network demands (unknown) Password to connect

You have to remember XP home cannot join a Domain.That means the 98 machine will always have to logon to a "Share" on the XP machine.
The 98 cannot deal with the security settings of NTFS especially.
Choose a folder on the XP machine and make it a Share , you can map a drive to it from the 98, but you will still have to enter username and password(Windows will bring up this window,so click on remember password)
It is often best to run the network Wizard on XP after it is set right let it make a floppy for you and run the floppy on the 98.
I take it you have a good firewall,you are very exposed without a router .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-demands-unknown-password-to-connect.47371/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have two computers setup for home network. One a desktop and the other a laptop. The laptop OS is MS Home XP /wSP3.
The desktop OS is Vista 64bit. I want to be able to share files between the two computers. On each computer I setup from the network wizzard. The XP Home setup did not ask for a password setup. The Vista did have a window for a password. I entered a tipical password. I viewed the list of network on the connect to screen and my work group is listed. waiting to get request to connect. When I attempt to connect the computers, I get a message that I need to use ascii charters or hexadecimal charaters. My simple password I guess is not going to work. In this use I perfer not to use passwords. Can someone help me?

A:Solved: password problems with my home wireless network

Are you talking about connecting your computers to your wireless network? Or about enabling file sharing on the computers, which are already connected to your router?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-password-problems-with-my-home-wireless-network.1043470/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have a home network that includes a Win desktop and a Win K desktop My problem is that while I can access the Win computer which happens to be named access computer to in for Password network required Win2K home quot Bill quot from the Win computer which is named quot Pat quot when I try to go in the opposite direction I get a window asking for a password to access the Pat files The window reads quot You must supply a password to make this connection quot Then below that quot Resource Pat IPC quot Then a window for the password If I Password required for access to Win2K computer in home network click quot OK quot with or without a password I get a Microsoft Networking Error window quot The password is incorrect try again quot When I click quot OK quot in that window Windows returns to the Enter Network Password window I cannot modify any settings for IPC on the Pat computer nor can I delete it as far as I can see it is a resource that I do not need for my particular needs Nor have I been able to set any permissions that I can find that will allow access from the Win computer The mystifying part is that the Win K computer happens to Password required for access to Win2K computer in home network be a dual boot computer that has an original Win K installation OS and a replacement Win K OS This was done using Partition Magic and each virtual drive is hidden from the other This came about when the original installation developed a lot of problems with viruses and spyware I finally adopted a solution of re-installing Win K on the computer and during the time I was re-installing programs on the C drive I booted back and forth from one OS to the other This old installation of Win K DOES allow access by the Win computer without any question of a password When I click on the icon for the Win computer in My Network Places the icons for the shared folders on the Win K computer come right up and can be accessed without any difficulty I have searched and searched through the two OS settings to see what might be different but have not been able to find anything As an additional tidbit a Win XP laptop is also connected to the home network With the old OS Win K shared icons come right up without any question or request for password With the new OS Win K a window opens asking for the name of the user before the connection is made and I can enter the name of a user authorized by the Win K computer The connection is then completed without any problem and since I do not require a password for the Win K user I do not have to enter a password from the laptop This Win XP window is in contrast to the window opened by Win which does not allow any identification of user and only asks for a password The network connection MAC address IP address network adapter and its settings are all identical for both setups so my problem obviously is a software one and has nothing to do with hardware connections Both installations of Win K were done from the same CD and both have been updated with the same service packs So I am completely stumped Does anyone have an idea of what is happening nbsp

A:Password required for access to Win2K computer in home network

It sounds like your trying to connect to the administrative share on the 2K machine. Try this.

Right click on the drive in question on the 2K machine and select Sharing... Add a new share and grant access rights to everyone.

Create an account on the 2K machine with the same name/password as is used to logon to the W98 machine. It's not necessary to logon to the 2K machine with this account, it just has to have permission to access the shared files.

This should eliminate the password prompt.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/password-required-for-access-to-win2k-computer-in-home-network.430804/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi I have computers which both run Win Home Premium When I need to copy cache Windows Premium 7 password network Disable Home something from one PC to another I'm accessing the other pc using the old method computername c This works perfectly fine for me Disable network password cache Windows 7 Home Premium and I don't plan to change my working method I do have one big problem though The passwords for accessing network shares are cached on the PC So you only have to enter the password once and you're clear to access the share for forever even after a reboot Is there Disable network password cache Windows 7 Home Premium anyway to disable password caching In other words is there a way to always ask for a password I've Googled for the solution but all I came across where some solutions which concerned using policy rules in the registry but since I only have Home Home Premium I can't do that Also the passwords do not seem to be stored cleared from gt control userpasswords gt advanced gt password management Thanks in advance edit I've got a temporary workaround If anyone has a more elegant better solution please don't hesitate to post it -run rundll exe keymgr dll KRShowKeyMgr -click add -enter pc name enter correct username enter WRONG password This way your PC always tries to connect to the other PC using a wrong password and therefore eventually always asks for the correct password which than can be entered manually

A:Disable network password cache Windows 7 Home Premium

you could try changing the settings in the network and sharing center

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/175507-disable-network-password-cache-windows-7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello I'm Using a Tp-Link Mps Router to connect to ADSL ineternet through Wi-Fi and Ethernet First I started getting link redirects to ad-sites like oneclicks and what not I found two or maybe more unidentirfied devices on my home LAN log upon matching their MAC Adresses they're an Apple device a Nokia and some other Android devices The DNS while I sat it to use automatically detected DNS servers ISP DNS it keeps changing to using a certain DNS Auto-Changes Changed & Router Redirects. Password DNS Home Link on Now Network And Now I tried to log into the Router's page and find out that the password has been changed And it's not even the default one that come with the router So I had to Reset to Factory Default Moreoever Frameware upgraded one time I've Reset the router DNS Auto-Changes & Link Redirects. Now Router Password Changed on Home Network several times and last time I used a strong password presumply takes Months to crack but in like two weeks now i'm still having the same problems My home devices are used by my family members - a refurbished iPhone - a DELL laptop running Windows Home Edition upgraded then downgraded from win - a tower PC running Ubuntu - An iPhone iOS - An unauthentic seems refurbished or rooter or something iPhone or S I found someone speaking of a very similiar problem here http www bleepingcomputer com forums t redirect-virus-that-keeps-changing-my-dns And i've run some of the methods of fighting Malware mentioned So far DELL laptop only computer running Win seems Malware free But the main problem is I don't know which computer is infected If the problem is an infected computer in the first place Waiting on your instructions if you need me to post further info or logs PS Just completed on Dell Malwarebytes scan Non-Malware Detected Here's The Farber Report of one of the Network Devices DELL Laptop only device running Win Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by Dr Fathia administrator on DRFATHIA-PC - - Running from C Users Dr Fathia Desktop Loaded Profiles Dr Fathia Available Profiles Dr Fathia Platform Windows Home Premium Service Pack X Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Default browser IE Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processes Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the process will be closed The file will not be moved Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client MsMpEng exe IDT Inc C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository stwrt inf amd neutral afc f cfedd stacsv exe Stardock Corporation C Program Files Dell DellDock DockLogin exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows System wlanext exe C Program Files Dell Dell Wireless WLAN Card WLTRYSVC EXE Dell Inc C Program Files Dell Dell Wireless WLAN Card BCMWLTRY EXE Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Office ClientX officeclicktorun exe Lavasoft Limited C Program Files x Lavasoft Web Companion TcpService LavasoftTcpService exe SoftThinks SAS C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup SftService exe C Program Files x Lavasoft Web Companion Application Lavasoft WCAssistant WinService exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAANTmon exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client NisSrv exe C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate DSUpd exe SoftThinks - Dell C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Toaster exe Alps Electric Co Ltd C Program Files DellTPad Apoint exe IDT Inc C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxtray exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxsrvc exe Intel Corporation C Windows System hkcmd exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxpers exe Dell Inc C Program Files Dell Dell Wireless WLAN Card WLTRAY EXE Dell Inc C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel Matrix Sto... Read more

A:DNS Auto-Changes & Link Redirects. Now Router Password Changed on Home Network

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Press the windows key + r on your keyboard at the same time. This will open the RUN BOX.Type Notepad and and click the OK key.Please copy the entire contents of the code box below to a new file. 
Start

CreateRestorePoint:
EmptyTemp:
CloseProcesses:

BHO-x32: No Name -> {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} -> No File
Toolbar: HKU\S-1-5-21-2527196062-1724574585-3093669161-1001 -> No Name - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - No File
Task: {2F57269B-1E09-4E2D-AB1E-B0FDAC7D279C} - \Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup\ConfigNotification -> No File <==== ATTENTION
Task: {AC4E5ACF-89F7-4220-BA21-81EE183975E2} - \Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent -> No File <==== ATTENTION
Task: {CEE64558-E1A7-4D9D-80A7-2001912BE5B5} - \Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\CorruptionDetector -> No File <==== ATTENTION
Task: {F0E0D5A4-FBAF-4483-8AE7-0F9D4D36678A} - \Microsoft\Windows\Windows Activation Technologies\ValidationTaskDeadline -> No File <==== ATTENTION
Task: {F80F31A6-3FFB-445F-93CC-4C22F29FE3A2} - \Microsoft\Windows\Windows Activation Technologies\ValidationTask -> No File <==== ATTENTION
Task: {FA2BC0A6-8D4B-458A-85C8-2B8C72487513} - \Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\DecompressionFailureDetector -> No File <==== ATTENTION
End
Save the file as fixlist.txt in the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.The location is listed in the 3rd line of the Farbar log you have submitted.Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.Restart the computer normally to reset the registry.The tool will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.----Please check with your Internet Provider and check if the IP address in bold is required in you settings.Tcpip\Parameters: [DhcpNameServer] 188.138.97.57 8.8.8.8Tcpip\..\Interfaces\{325EDF14-9B63-4B11-9D83-D2D4051E96F8}: [DhcpNameServer] 188.138.97.57 8.8.8.8If not the run this tool and remove any references to it.--RogueKiller--Download & SAVE to your Desktop Download RogueKillerQuit all programs that you may have started.Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!For Vista or above, right-click the program file and select "Run as Administrator"Accept the user agreements.Execute the scan and wait until it has finished.If a Windows opens to explain what [PUM's] are, read about it.Click the RoguKiller icon on your taksbar to return to the report.Click open the ReportClick Export TXT buttonSave the file as ReportRogue.txtClick the Remove button to delete the items in REDClick Finish and close the program.Locate the ReportRogue.txt file on your Desktop and copy/paste the contents in your next.=======When all is well update Java.Your version of Java is outdated and needs to be updated to take advantage of fixes that have eliminated security vulnerabilities.You can manually check your present version and update as recommended.https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jspBe careful not to install malware posing as Java update!Important read this blog.http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/malware-poses-as-an-update-for-java-0-day-fix/Quoted from the page."In light of the recent events surrounding Java, users must seriously consider their use of Java. Do they really need it? If yes, make sure that users follow the steps we recommended and get the security update directly from the official oracle website." at:http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.htmlHow to disable Java in your browsershttp://www.infoworld.com/t/web-browsers/how-disable-java-in-your-browsers-210882If still present after the update you can remove the old version(s) of Java via the Control Panel > Programs and Features applet.Java™ 6 Update 14 ... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610860/dns-auto-changes-link-redirects-now-router-password-changed-on-home-network/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have 2 computers networked together. (peer to peer) They both use VISTA Business. Computer 1 has no problem accessing Computer 2. Computer 2 gets a pop up asking for username and password when I try to access Computer 1.
Ironically I only need Computer 2 to access Computer 1.
Computer 1 has Mcafee Firewall. Computer 2 has no firewall enabled.
Both computers have the same settings.
File Sharing is on
Public Folder Sharing is on
Password Protected Sharing is off.
I assume I must find a way to get around Mcafee but I have no idea how.
I appreciate any help you can give me. My thanks in advance.
Nick

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/166624-vista-vista-peer-network-asks-user-name-password.html
Relevancy 51.17%

For security reasons Microsoft does not allow parents computer administrators to check on maintain adjust or otherwise enter their kids limited users XP profiles without either resetting their passwords or waiting for them to come home and being confrontational about it Ideally I would like to be able to log on to a limited user account from my administrator account without tampering with anyone s passwords-resetting them or Bypass or or Screensaver W/out Password Adjust User Find XP User Reset Limited otherwise Actually I have little interest in the step kids personal life and stuff Alternately perhaps you may help me with my ultimate goal limiting screensaver activity My Find or Bypass XP Limited User Password W/out Reset or Adjust User Screensaver arrogant and belligerant teenage stepson likes to customize the family room to his tastes rather that leave it to the generic unbiased interest of the family in general Latest he has designed his quot my pictures quot screensaver somehow to override cmos settings to illustrate various pictures of himself for unlimited time rather than allow cmos or windows to shut off the monitor after periods of inactivity Typically he would prefer to be confrontational about it fight and argue over the issue stressing out his depressed mom in the process I do not want to fight-I just want my monitor to go off after a while of non-use and not be kept on by XP Sorry about all the disfunctional family issues I had to mention for background It is hard dealing with Find or Bypass XP Limited User Password W/out Reset or Adjust User Screensaver an aggressive controlling kid Obviously most of the time the computer is left on his profile but I quot am not allowed quot to adjust the power settings when it is for some reason from his profile nbsp

A:Find or Bypass XP Limited User Password W/out Reset or Adjust User Screensaver

looks like you have no choice in resetting passwords, who's house is it anyway???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/find-or-bypass-xp-limited-user-password-w-out-reset-or-adjust-user-screensaver.428368/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi In A domain environment when wifi user a reseting connect cannot user directory from password to Active after i rest a user password from active directory users and user cannot connect to wifi after reseting a user password from Active directory computers he is unable to login to Windows with new password He is configured to login through wifi And we are using single sign on in the wifi settings This issue is only affecting few users connection to company wifi network is authenticated through x so we manualy create a wifi profile for x At the dual login screen the new credentials we are using active directory credentials for wifi since it's x are entered First it user cannot connect to wifi after reseting a user password from Active directory spits an error that unable to connect to wifi Then windows spits an error of invalid user name or password If we enter the old credentials at login in both wifi access and windows access we are able to login to Windows it logs in with Cached credentials but I it obviously is unable to connect to wifi network The user is a member of wifi group so he has access to wifi and he can access wifi through his iPhone Also another observation is that if I login with his Cached credentials and configure a wifi profile connection using his new reseted password password windows spits an error that cannot connect to the network So the core issue is that after reseting his password from active directory users and computers he cannot connect to wifi through windows The workaround that currently I do is i login with his Cached credentials to Windows and then i use my own credentials to configure wifi connection and ask him to login to Windows using his Cached credentials while he will be using my credentials for wifi access And for other systems that will be using credentials like email he uses new credentials Pretty crude solution Any way how to figure out what could go wrong Besides i have tried configuring a wifi connection profile on another users laptop using the affected user credentials I got same error that windows cannot connect you to wifi So the real issue is that after resetting the password of the user from aduc he cannot connect to wifi Any clue idea Windows is latest and updated We are using Microsoft forefront endpoint protection

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-cannot-connect-to-wifi-after-reseting-a-user-password-from-active-directory-769826.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi all We are having a real issue with local profiles user profile service on our domain Our staff accounts are using local profiles When a staff member changes their password something is happening to their profiles on the machines that their local profile is stored When they try to login the machine is getting stuck at quot Please wait for the user profile service quot It never continues we have left for mins or more and profiles, hanging issue service Big profile and user user's changing :( password local with it doesn't continue We are currently having to use delprof to remove their profiles from ALL machines they have previously logged into which is a lot of hassle nbsp We first noticed this issue when we upgraded our workstations from windows to windows nbsp I was hoping that upgrading to windows would fix the issue but sadly it doesn't This is causing us major hassle on our domain It only affects people with Big issue with user's local profiles, changing password and hanging user profile service :( local profiles our students use mandatory profiles and they are not affected Our DCs are R nbsp I have trawled google but cannot find any information on this At our yearly microsoft meeting i asked our regional account manager and he couldn't believe the issue He had never heard anything like this before From the event log the only thing i can see is that it is not finishing the load of the user profile nbsp Under user profile service events it shows this Event Recieved user logon notification on session Event Registry file C Users USERNAME ntuser dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Event Logon type Regular nbsp Local profile location C Users USERNAME nbsp Profile type Regular Event Registry file C Users USERNAME AppData Local Microsoft Windows UsrClass dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Classes Event This is where it get stucks But then it does not show the final step Event should be Finished processing user logon notification on session No other events are logged We hadn't changed any GPOs before the upgrade to windows Any help would be greatly welcome

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1bc82ef5-71cf-438e-b223-d7aa88ea8de4/big-issue-with-users-local-profiles-changing-password-and-hanging-user-profile-service-?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 50.74%

My grandmother was recently hacked and she changed all her passwords herself (yay!). However she did not write down her new local user account password for her laptop.

I tried downloading OPHCrack, I burned it as an ISO file and put it on a DVD-R(only thing I had on hand) and i changed the boot order on her BIOS menu to had the DVD drive as the first priority. It does not run....I hear the disk drive moving, or spinning but the program does not run. Are there any other options or do I have to do a complete system restore to bypass this? Also if that is what I have to do how do I do that without being in her control panel?

A:Old Problem New User- Forgot Local User Account Password

Hello there "hater",are you sure you downloaded the right OPHcrack version?It should be the one that is intended to be used on,not the one being used to download and be burned on.Try imgburn,never failed me to create bootable CDs or DVDs.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40661-old-problem-new-user-forgot-local-user-account-password.html
Relevancy 50.74%

dont know user account control password AND no administrator user so i cant download/install anything, cant update, and i cant change any settings someone please help PLUS i just got this computer iv read some other entrys where people had the same problem as me they said to do a system reboot in safemode but i dont know how. can someone help me? thank you

A:dont know user account control password and no administrator user

after the bios loads but before windows start to load hit f8 and you get your windows boot options.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232566-dont-know-user-account-control-password-no-administrator-user.html
Relevancy 50.74%

We have a remote user using windows pro bit and nbsp cisco vpn on his laptop The remote user is prompted to change his password while he is old the while vpn the but remote with still the laptop domain password password user cached is changed connected to the domain during the vpn session nbsp He follows the prompts to the change the password When he performs the following Ctlr Alt Del selects lock and now tries to unlocks the laptop with the new password he nbsp receives nbsp the message of nbsp The trust relationship nbsp between remote user changed the domain password while vpn but the laptop is still cached with the old password this workstation and the primary domain failed In order to get into the laptop nbsp nbsp the remote user restarts the laptop and uses the old password with his domain username remote user changed the domain password while vpn but the laptop is still cached with the old password Even though he is vpn into the network nbsp nbsp the remote user nbsp is unable to gain access to any network resources since domain password was changed VPN password and domain password are different nbsp The Cisco VPN username password account is keep on the ASA nbsp The domain username password is keep on a Microsoft server nbsp Does anybody know how to nbsp get the changed domain password onto the laptop while VPN Thank YOU

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/577e2c22-0a6a-4a96-a732-2d090e0b2725/remote-user-changed-the-domain-password-while-vpn-but-the-laptop-is-still-cached-with-the-old?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All Problem is the Vista Machine connecting to the shared HPG xi AIO on the network I am working on installing a Vista Home Premium Gateway PC on an existing network that consists of a Solved: Printer Vista Home Network Network Home Issues, XP machine two XP home PC s and an XP home laptop With the exception of the laptop all PC s are Solved: Vista Home Network Printer Issues, XP Home Network connected via ethernet cabling to a Linksys WRT G sharing cable internet access One of the XP home machines and the are connected to a Dlink switch which is wired to the Linksys router This XP home machine has the HP connected locally and shared All PC s have printer and file sharing enabled All PC s are in the same workgroup all PC s can see and share files bidirectionally Including the Vista machine All PC s with the exception of the Vista machine can connect and print to the HP When you try to connect the Vista to the HP and it doesn t matter how using Network and connect using Printers to add a printer using add a Printer to set up a new network printer and entering the path whatever the error message is quot Access is Denied quot before you can even install the drivers I used my IBM laptop running XP Pro to serve the HP via the USB connection same as how the XP Home PC is doing it the Vista can connect and print no problem so it would seem there is an issue with the access rights in the XP Home PC sharing the HP I also tested the Vista PC on another network that runs XP Pro and it connected and printed with NO issues I tried using the machine at the same location but connected to the same switch to serve the HP I get the same result as with the XP Home serving it with the exception of the error message It says cannot complete connection error some hex number Is there a way to configure the access right s to XP Home for the Vista to connect to the HP Or am I barking up the wrong tree Help please nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

I have a HP 17-f020us 17.3-Inch Touchscreen Laptop with window 8. I dont what to have to remove the battery to do this. Way to much for me to try to do. I would like to know how to do it through the Bios.
Thank you,
Rhonda

Relevancy 49.88%

Is a standard user account really necessary for tight security for the home user or will a well secured administrator account be sufficient?

http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/64477-standard-user-account-necessary-tight-security-home-user.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I am trying to install a program called postgresSQL a database program that creates a user (postgres) during install. I have installed the program before, created an account and forgot the password . I am trying to re-install the program and it still see the old user and wants the password.

The program says the solution for this is to.....

control panel>admin tools>comp management>local user and groups delete "postgres". local users is not there on home premium, handled by user accounts .

or

run
net user postgres /delete This gives me error 5 access is denied

not sure where to go from here???

A:user delete on home premium. no local user or groups??

Welcome to the Forum

Sorry that you are having a problem. If there is a separate user account,
Possibly this excellent tutorial can help.
Reset User Account Password[11]=User Accounts

It will not be easy, but it should work.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/270328-user-delete-home-premium-no-local-user-groups.html
Relevancy 48.59%

After reinstalling Vista on the "upstairs" machine and rebuilding our home network (cable through router) the Vista machine can access files on the XP machine . . . but not the reverse. Although I can see the two Vista drives OK I'm prompted for a usernameassword, a curiosity since only one passwordless user exists in our Vista setup. (Entering that username and leaving the password blank still gave a "this drive is not accessible" error.)

I can follow the instructions on this page (File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista) partway through, but when I get to the window shown in Figure 6 the "Share" button is grayed out. I did go into "Advanced Sharing" and put a check in the "Share this folder" check box, but that didn't eliminate the password requirement.

Thanks for any help -

A:Accessing Vista Home shared folders from XP Home machine requires password

Hello, try making another Admin account and see if that will work .

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/294857-accessing-vista-home-shared-folders-xp-home-machine-requires-password.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have just installed a linksys wireless router onto my desktop computer to add a wireless laptop and for some reason, when the User Logon screen comes up. The hand cursor never becomes a cursor for me to type in passowords to user accounts. I went into safe mode and then into control panel and deleted the passwords for each user acct and now I can get into the accounts but how can I add the passwords again and be able to type them in. We have 3 user accounts on this pc and would like to have them password protected.

Any suggestions would be apreciated!
Thanks!

PS
all pc's are online and working fine...

A:Can not type password into password box on logon screen win xp home

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-not-type-password-into-password-box-on-logon-screen-win-xp-home.429115/
Relevancy 47.73%

Humble apologies if question asked/answered before.

Running Win 7 64bit all updates etc, anyway have never used passwords (sole user ), so booted up computer this morning and woila there it was, wanting "user name" & "Password", never been set up for one so how can I input something that wasn't set up, a bloody nuisance, that's why I love computers, just when you get complacent, it throws a spanner in the works, your thoughts as always most appreciated.

A:Sole user never had a User Name or Password!

Hello Peter,

Since it's wanting you to enter both your user name and password instead of just password, then you might see if using step 2 and 8 in Option One of the tutorial below may help with this. Log On with User Name and Password
Afterwards, if it's still not automatically logging into your account at startup, then the tutorial below can sort that for you. Since you do not have a password, you would just leave the password fields empty. Log On Automatically at Startup
Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/297980-sole-user-never-had-user-name-password.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a user who has this issue User it though getting or is name even incorrect' 'user password laptop computer running win connected to the corporate network Using active directory User account is in User getting 'user name or password incorrect' even though it is AD The user types in username password Gets the message user name or password is incorrect User can attempt or times gets the same message User is absolutely sure he is using correct credentials I have his creds and have done it myself Can reboot the computer and it may then allow him to login Or he may get the same message User can go to User getting 'user name or password incorrect' even though it is a different computer in the office Same results Or this different computer may let him login multiple times but will ultimately get the same results I have tried on newly imaged computer with the same results We have checked and he is not logged into any other device anywhere he has an iPad with company e-mail and what is somewhat odd well other than the whole event is he is able to get his company e-mail on the iPad no problem Any suggestions

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fd18f48b-0a87-4db9-ad71-6cb878e35531/user-getting-user-name-or-password-incorrect-even-though-it-is?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 47.3%

Situation- month old Dell XPS Win bit Pro as main computer connected by Wired Adapter Upgraded Gateway E also running Win bit pro as says set network no join home can't but network 7 Win homegroup, Home second connected by Wireless Both running Kapersky successfully no network problems for mo Both were successfully linked using homegroup Had to take Gateway to a remote location to do a business demo While there had to link to a local public WiFi While connecting made mistake and left homegroup When Gateway returned to homebase a Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network few days later it was fine had no problems finding wireless but could not see or rejoin Dell machine homegroup It would let me set Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network up a new homegroup Went to Dell box and found homegroup no longer existed router and network and wireless printing no longer found - Red X on the taskbar even though internet was still working fine Took nearly a week of trying differernt fixes on adapter- off adapter- different adapter reboot network router even updated router firmware Yes I went through every ipconfig reset renew redecorate etc I've used netsh functions to try Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network to get evrything to reset Changes services msc settings per other posts Finally in desperation deleted every sub key in the registry related to network locational awareness and got the Dell to find the network let me set it up as a quot home quot network and then even see the invitation to join the Gateway's homegroup Then I hit a wall- when I try to join- Win says I can't join the homegroup because the network is not a quot home network quot Of course troubleshooting is useless and goes into an endless loop Have searched in desperation for any way to make Win return to a clean slate so it can sense that it really is on a home network without success Applied the fix-it and hotpatch for when Win gets stuck in public mode No joy Deleted the hide wizard subkey as suggested elsewhere No Joy Gut feeling says problem must lie in the NLA or peer networking somewhere but where Does anyone know of a method or set of steps short of a clean reinstall of Win to completely clear every thing the OS knows about my network and force it to acknowlege my network is a home network Is there a registry hack that will clear the problem I know I could abandon the homegroup and do conventional file print share but I am concerned that using that solution won't last as whatever is screwing up the homegroup could eventually screw regular sharing and then I'm back to reformating reinstalling I'm just about ready to join the Apple folks so I never have to work on Windows again Help

A:Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network

Just a thought - if running Kaspersky Internet Security (with inbuilt firewall) check that your Internet connection in the settings is set to Home or Private Network vs Public.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/257334-home-network-set-but-win-7-says-cant-join-homegroup-no-home-network.html
Relevancy 46.87%

As above really Trying to create a network to Prompted enter off password turning a password protected sharing after network for file sharing as have upgraded the server part of a Workgroup not a Domain from WinXP to Win and Prompted to enter a network password after turning off password protected sharing experienced problems ever since Ironically the problems haven t mainly been with sharing files between Win and WinXP systems but between Win systems I bought a new Win laptop and tried to connect it to the server but it hasn t had Read Write privileges over the files in the Win server Entering a username and password to gain access to the servers folders has not been a problem and as far as I know opening files such as documents has not been a problem either However when trying to save an edited document access is denied and if I try to open an executable file this is necessary for a node installation it prompts me for a network password Every combination possible of username and password from the systems including or SYSTEMNAME before the username has not worked I tried syncing the times which was apparently a previous problem but to no avail I am unable to access Local Security Policy as the server is running off Home Premium I have tried creating a new workgroup removing and changing passwords enabling guest access to the network through the Windows Resource Kit Command Shell creating identical users on both computers but nothing appears to have worked Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/prompted-to-enter-a-network-password-after-turning-off-password-protected-sharing.1011577/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi Guys This is a curious one I have three PCs two desktop and one laptop all running but password turned Network protection password, share off! requesting Windows Pro -bit Each system has a shared partition set up exactly the same which has sharing set for 'everyone' with 'full control' Password protected sharing is turned off on each system in quot Control Panel All Control Panel Items Network and Sharing Center Advanced sharing settings quot Each of the desktop systems can access each other's shared and also the laptop's shared partition The problem is when I try to use the laptop to access the shares on either of the desktop systems I get a pop-up requester asking for a username and password see below - the laptop is quot T quot and one of the desktops is quot A quot Any idea why this would be happening I've checked the settings on all systems sharing and network and can see not reason for the password prompt appearing Previously I was running Win Pro -bit on all three systems and never encountered this error Cheers Mike

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/61689-network-share-requesting-password-but-password-protection-turned-off.html
Relevancy 45.58%

HI,
Can someone explain to me how you go about syncronising the Windows 98 password with a network password, for when dialling in remotely to access corporate Network

A:Syncronising windows Password with Network Password?

Are you referring to your win98 windows logon pass, like at system startup?
-Z

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/syncronising-windows-password-with-network-password.146813/
Relevancy 45.15%

I did not set up my pc's to share over my home wireless network, but suddenly today I see that all drives and the printer are available between each computer. I had tried to set up the computers to share months ago, but never got it to work and gave up.

The desktop is old, running WinME, one laptop is running WinXPpro, the other laptop is running Vista. They are all connected to a Westell router/dsl modem for internet through Verizon.

So, I turn the desktop off daily. Today I go to turn it off and it says the WinXP laptop is connected and do I really want to shut down. I go to windows explorer on both machines and sure enough I have access to the other drives on each computer. I start the Vista machine and see the same.

Am I compromised?

A:MY home computers suddenly sharing over home wireless network

If you didn't make the change to share all drives, then somebody did. I would assume the worst. Time to reformat and reinstall.

Windows ME is past end of life, and no security updates are provided by MS. I wouldn't run it anymore. Maybe you'd want to try out some linux distros, some are quite good on old hardware. See this review:
http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

It seems you don't have a separate router, I would advise you to get one. I have a modem/router too but I also have a separate hardware firewall/router. The modem/router does NAT but I constantly see connections/attacks making it past the modem/router to my firewall. Having a separate router is a good thing.

Since you are using wireless, did you enable the encryption? If you have WPA or WPA2 use them and setup a long and complicated passphrase. Use WEP if you have no other choice cause WEP can be broken into real quick. You must enable encryption because with wireless, all your machines are sitting ducks when you have close range attackers, whereas with wired, at least you still have a perimeter which you can fortify with a firewall. Also it is especially important to have software firewalls on Each PC when using wireless.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-home-computers-suddenly-sharing-over-home-wireless-network.688238/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have Laptop and PC connected with lan cabel They are both with Windows Vista Home Basic bit They both have no problems with internet They have the same WORKGROUP names Both have real IPs I see each other on the Network but i can not connect to them it was all OK when I was on XP gt When I try to connect from the Laptop to the PC i recive quot Error code x quot I click on Diagnose and I on 32bit. Network Home Vista Home Basic Problem see this I tried to turn off the Firewall and the NOD antivirus but nothing changed The Sharing and Discovery Settings are OK like this I give share permissions to my network May be I have to install quot Client Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit. quot for quot File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks quot but is no listed 'Client' or 'Servise' to use I found I have to allow permissions in the firewall to some ports like -TCP -UDP -UDP -TCP I did this Give me some help how to manage with my network so I can browse both computers copy files and so on Thanks in advance

A:Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit.

I can't help but just wondered why you have made another post not long after your first post with exactly the same question ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/201692-home-network-problem-vista-home-basic-32bit.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Windows 7 home premium sp1
Bitdefender tell me it become unresponsive an recommend to reboot
system message tell me  Windows update is deactivated
window defender full scan found nothing
comodo antivirus deactivated and cannot be reactivated
a reboot do not change anything
can you help me please

A:W 7 home cannot conect internet and home network even in safe mode

Welcome aboard

Can you operate computer normally?

Are you running two AV programs (BitDefender and Comodo)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518785/w-7-home-cannot-conect-internet-and-home-network-even-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 45.15%

can someone help me sort this I have a bunch of devices on my lan some by ethernet some wireless One Windows Pro desktop on ethernet serves all the other devices - at least in theory Working on 10 won't network: allow Home Pro browse Home shared Windows fldr vs well no big issues But with my Windows Home edition on a Zenbook with networking on network discovery on public folder shared I can RDP into the other windows machine just fine I can map network drives etc Life's good right With my 'droid using ES File Manager I can move files easily between windows machine Windows desktop other droids etc However the ONE MACHINE it cannot get Windows 10 Home vs Pro on network: Home won't allow browse shared fldr coherent is the Zenbook running Windows Home It simply will not connect with the correct IP and credentials I can quot see quot the machine by scanning the network map with the Droid access it setup the credentials but cannot get in I am wild-guessing the firewall may be blocking but I have no trouble doing what's needed with the other Windows machine so stumped Both are fully updated to latest win updates both are essentially set same way networking-wise to my knowledge Anyone have a clue here

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/42276-windows-10-home-vs-pro-network-home-wont-allow-browse-shared-fldr.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I would like to create a new user and migrate all data settings etc from an existing user to the new user on the same computer Reason is some conflicting names between some computers on the same network and a Windows Home Server I tried changing the name of the user but that doens t change the name of the profile That created some confusion with Remote Desktop Seems that even though I changed the user name I had to log on via Remote Desktop using the old user name I ve read about a method of creating profile Premium to migrate to profile? Vista new How old Home user user the new user logging on then off logging on as the old user and just copying all the files How to migrate old user profile to new user profile? Vista Home Premium from one user to the other after turning on show system and hidden files etc That doesn t migrate any settings I wouldn t think only files And another problem is there isn t enough hdd space to copy the profile not sure what to do other than get a larger hdd which I could do if totally needed I looked at the USMT a little but it looked like a lot of work for what I was doing I ve also seen a step method by Joshua Mouch which still involved copying the files Is there a way to just change the user name and then change the profile name that coincided with that user That way no files are copied or moved just changing the How to migrate old user profile to new user profile? Vista Home Premium profile name associated with that user edit I just found this does How to migrate old user profile to new user profile? Vista Home Premium this really work That s all I want to do change the user name and have that profile name match the user name Delete or rename the profile folder under the users profile folder location locate the key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion ProfileList and remove the subkey that contains the reference to the profile in question reboot and login as the user this will create a new profile instance Thanks Monte nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-migrate-old-user-profile-to-new-user-profile-vista-home-premium.137256/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,
One domain user recently can't see network drives and use printer. When you join a domain it automatically maps those drives and ads that printer, and it did, but now it is all gone. You can't even see disconnected drives in My computer. I am able to ping
those drives, but that's it. And this occurs only on one computer on one user. If log in to different user on that computer everything is fine and if I log in with that user on different computer it also works. Tried looking for disabled services, but couldn't
any that would be turned off from the most important (Workstation, Network location awareness, Network list service). Any suggestions?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cfdf0bb8-f959-472b-90da-7dbe588fa0ed/domain-user-cant-map-network-drives-and-print-on-network-printer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

A:Can no longer connect to home computer over home network

Quote: Originally Posted by mbh9700

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

You may want to disable the antivirus software for testing. With the ping not working it would seem like something is blocking the connection. Do the machines appear in the network folder under network?

Obviously you should make sure that Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing are turned on in the Advanced Sharing settings.

Make sure they are on the same Workgroup etc. and that file sharing is enabled through the sharing tab >Advanced Sharing> of the C:>Users folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309141-can-no-longer-connect-home-computer-over-home-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have three computers networked together at home They have different OS s on them One is Vista Home Premium another XP Pro and the home from copy Home Can't Xp on Pro folders network to Solved: Xp third is XP Home My problem is that I can t copy or move any folders or files from the XP home machine to the Solved: Can't copy folders from Xp Home to Xp Pro on home network Xp pro machine I get an error message that access Solved: Can't copy folders from Xp Home to Xp Pro on home network is denied Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use I can go to the XP Pro computer and go through my mapped drive and click on the same file and copy it without any errors Why does this only work from one machine I know XP home only uses simple file sharing and XP Pro has more security Is there a setting that I should check on the firewall or within XP Pro I made some changes to get the XP Pro computer to be able to map a network drive to the Vista computer Will this effect the ability to copy files from XP Home I have researched this issue and have not found an answer that will solve the problem None of the computers are password protected or are any of the files password protected on any computer nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi all Not too good with computer issues but I have been reluctantly chosen as the household tech wizard lol Husband updated his laptop network password no enter no conn connection = ability to no = network to Windows several months ago So far it's been good and he likes it that is until this morning He opens the laptop no internet connection It shows our wifi network but won't connect He enters his password says he needs to enter password for that device Enter password from before Windows no good Enter password for micorstoft no good Using my laptop Windows to find fix Suggestions I've tried Troublshoot network connection by right clicking Right Click won't work nothing happens Maybe keyboard language is wrong no settings button available to look at keyboard properties Try connecting directly to router won't make connection We've rebooted the computer a couple of times to no avail Our phones are connected my laptop is connected our no network connection = no ability to enter password = no network conn chromecast is connected so we know it's not the router no network connection = no ability to enter password = no network conn There is something up with his laptop Playing ring around the rosey is not the best way to spend a Sunday morning no internet connection no ability to enter password not able to troubleshoot internet connection no internet connection no ability to enter password

A:no network connection = no ability to enter password = no network conn

Ok. Here goes...His phone worked, my phone did work then quit working, our Smart TV quit working. My laptop continued to be connected, etc. Reset modem, problem solved. OMG!!!!!! Weird that some devices worked while others didn't.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/40019-no-network-connection-no-ability-enter-password-no-network-conn.html
Relevancy 44.72%

i recently bought a windows 7 home premium tablet with the intent of using it as a portable media player. for some reason i cannot connect to my media server's shared drive. the server is running windows xp and share permissions are configured properly. but any time i try to open the share on the tablet i get a the network password is incorrect. the thing is that i can remote desktop into the server using the same username an password. so please for the love of god fix this because my sanity relies on it.

mike

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/426992/urgent-cant-access-network-drive-incorrect-network-password/
Relevancy 44.29%

My network contains:
10 PCs and laptops running (Windows7 & Windows8).
2 network printers
1 Network Drive (WD Mybook Live Duo)
Workgroup environment

Here everything is fine. But one of the windows 8 laptop cannot access network folder. It prompt username and password. whenever I am trying the username and password it says login failure. But the same username and password works for all other machines. I tried disable firewall, another windows profile etc.

A:Cannot connect to Network drive. (Enter network password)

Quote: Originally Posted by rashidkeezhal

My network contains:
10 PCs and laptops running (Windows7 & Windows8).
2 network printers
1 Network Drive (WD Mybook Live Duo)
Workgroup environment

Here everything is fine. But one of the windows 8 laptop cannot access network folder. It prompt username and password. whenever I am trying the username and password it says login failure. But the same username and password works for all other machines. I tried disable firewall, another windows profile etc.

From what I have read the WD Mybook has problems with certain Windows 8 machines.

There is a long thread about this at the WD forums, maybe you should read through it and see if the latest firmware has fixed this bug.

MyBook Live And Windows 8 - WD Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/301752-cannot-connect-network-drive-enter-network-password.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Dear All,

My friend has Win 8 64-bit installed via his assembler.

In his C: drive (OS drive)..it shows as C:\User\Home..unlike mine one which is C:\User\Troy <my name>

He wants his user name to replace the "Home" user.

Please guide how to achieve this and hope this will not impact the already installed progs?

Thanks,
Troy.

A:Rename "Home" user to actual user name..how to?

Hello Troy,

If he only wants to have the displayed user name changed, then the tutorial below can help show him how to. This will not change the name of his "C:\Users\Home" user profile folder though.
User Account Name - Change in Windows 8
If he wants to also change the name of his user profile folder, then the best option would be to add a new administrator account for himself with the name he waned. After he signs in to the new account, he could copy what he wanted from the old account and delete it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/26491-rename-home-user-actual-user-name-how.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My main desktop is a Vista Home Premium -bit Dell system connected to a WRT G Router Workgroup with my last name The Laptop originally was XP Home configured to the same Workgroup name connected to the same router and networking was flawless In order to access a newly created Domain at my workplace my Laptop was upgraded to XP Pro SP There were still issues with a program on the work network even though I could connect to the domain so they decided to Home to XP Broke Upgrade Network Pro Home XP just get me a new desktop XP Home to XP Pro Upgrade Broke Home Network and everything there is fine But now I can t get my Laptop seen by my Desktop Here are the details On my XP Pro Laptop I entered the correct Workgroup name and had to XP Home to XP Pro Upgrade Broke Home Network sign off the Domain Now when I log on I am connecting to quot This Computer quot and not the domain From the XP Pro Laptop I can see and Ping the Desktop have Internet access a proper IP Address etc The Desktop shows up on the Network I can Map a Drive etc So from the XP Pro Laptop to the Vista Home Desktop everything works fine in that direction On the Desktop however there is a problem The Laptop does show up as a computer on the Network but when I click on it to access it I receive an Error Message Windows cannot access Dell Check the spelling Error Code x If I click on the quot Diagnose quot button I get Check the spelling of the name make sure the computer is turned on and connected etc I cannot ping the Laptop from the Desktop Time out I have NIS set up on both Computers On the Desktop when I look at the Network Map I do see the Dell Laptop and have given it quot Full Trust quot setting It shows it as quot Online quot But I can t acess the XP Laptop from the Vista Desktop despite the fact that it does show up on the Network as shown by Windows and the Network Map as shown by Norton I tried temporarily turning off the Norton Firewall on the Laptop No change As suggested on one site I found I enabled NetBIOS over TCP IP on the Laptop and rebooted but no change I tried going through the Network Wizard on the XP Laptop but it failed with a non-descriptive suggestion to try again or set it up manually When I look at System Properties the quot Full Computer Name quot of the Laptop is displayed as quot Dell quot with a period at the end even though the name itself is quot Dell quot without the period quot Dell quot is shown as the NetBIOS name I do have the Data partition on the XP Latop quot shared quot as I did before the XP Pro upgrade when everything was working fine Windows File Sharing is enabled I m stumped It seems I ve done everything right but can t figure out why the Vista Desktop can t seem to connect with the XP Laptop Any suggestions greatly appreciated I imagine there s some small switch that needs to be thrown but for the life of me I can t identify it Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

Help,
I had to reformat my computer and am using windows 7 pro 64 bit. After getting Windows 7 back onto my computer, I was trying to use my home network to pass file between my desktop and to the a laptop. It wouldn't let me do either. I then looked at network sharing and it showed that neither my home network or home group was there. So I tried to set up another home group, and it gave me the following error:

"Must have IPv6 to create or join a home group".

When I go and try to start my IPv6 through the trouble shooter, it shows being started, but it still will not let me either join or create a home group.

Any ideas????? I hope this explanation is clear enough.

Dabeartn

Relevancy 43.86%

Main computer running WinXP Pro SP Laptop running Win Pro on wireless network Trendnet series router Main computer running WinXP Pro SP Laptop running Win Pro on wireless network Trendnet series router When I try to connect from my XP computer to my Win laptop I get the attached User Password and Name window Laptop screen jpg which I uploaded It wants my User Name and Password When I User Name and Password put in the proper password I can connect from the XP computer to the Win computer Everything is OK until I shut down or re-boot the XP machine If I shut down or re-boot the XP machine and then try to go to the Win machine I get the same annoying window where I have to type in the password Does anyone know how I can stop this window from coming up on shut down or re-boot My wife s WinXP Pro computer doesn t exhibit this problem I can get from the Win machine to the WinXP machine with no problems Thanks Henry nbsp

A:User Name and Password

Windows 7 is blocking the XP machine until an account and password is used.

One will find that if ALL machines have an account and password that are the same, this problem will go away most of the time.

This common account does NOT need to be the current active one, but it helps to be on all machines. I use a common "Back door" account on all of my machines and this is heavily passworded and does the job.

This back door is an admin account that I would used if my prime admin account get clobbered.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-name-and-password.1096784/
Relevancy 43.86%

So I have a problem. My aunt got a computer from my cousin, but theres a problem. My cousin forgot the user password and my aunt has no idea how to get into the computer. She asked me and she I tryed to get into the admins account, that was blocked too. Seems like my cousin changed the password for the admins account and forget that too.

So now we're stuck with this laptop and we can't even get into it. I tried that NT pw & reg thing and put the iso on a cd and try to go through that but it just doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this.

And no we have no recovery disk of anysort if that means anything.

Thanks~

A:User password

Are you sure you used the NT password tool correctly? It has worked for almost everyone else. Try it for both accounts, sometimes it takes several attemps, and under Vista you must remove the password, NOT change it. Would you like my instruction set?

Richard

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272767-user-password.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,We bought a new Acer Switch 10 which we only got today. Is there suppose to be a password on the tablet already? We cannot do anything without entering a password (which we do not have!)Can anybody help!

A:Why is there already a password/user on our new Ac...

shut it down.then press ALT+F10 an press the power button, this will start the Acer erecovery and re-install OS from factory.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Veriton/Why-is-there-already-a-password-user-on-our-new-Acer-Switch-10/td-p/368180/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 43.86%

My daughter recently changed the user password on my wife's laptop and has forgotten it.
Is there a way to by-pass or get around this?

Thanks
Hooleyman

A:User Password

Hello Hooleyman, and welcome to Vista Forums.

One of the methods in this tutorial should work for you. If all else fails Method Three should work.

Reset User Account Password

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/182555-user-password.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have an admin account and a user account for the kids. How do I stop them changing the password for their user account. They just go into user accounts and change the password and can lock me out of their account.

Cheers Ray

A:User changes password

Currently, I am at work, and cannot view this page, but it might help you!

Again, if it's nowhere near relevant, I aplogize hah

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/97473-user-changes-password.html
Relevancy 43.86%

'Ello,

I've recently started dualbooting with Vista and Windows 7. Everything is working great, except for one thing. My version of windows 7 seems to have a password set already by default for the administrator account. And I can't seem to find out what it is.

I've tried the usual stuff, like admin, default etc. None of them seem to work. Anyone that could help me out here? I kinda need to know what it is so I can change it to a password of my own.

So to sum it up, the Administrator account on my Windows 7 has a password installed, which I can't find. If anyone could help me with this, I'd be really thankfull.

Kind regards,

LV

I would assume that method 3 on this tutorial should sort it - Reset User Account Password - Vista Forums

But remember this is uncharted windows 7 territory

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/669-user-password.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Last night I went into the User/Password in the control panel. I was told that by adding a new user that the wireless internet that was just installed would work. This is using windows 2000. The computer is not finding the network. But I went in and set up a new user, but accidently removed the user name I was under, and it removed all my files, or will not let me access them anymore. And when I try to get back into the User/Password area it says I am not authorized and is asking for an administrator password. Is there a way to undo this so I can access these files. My playlist, and word documents are gone. Please reply to <email address removed>.

thanks
Sarah

Relevancy 43.86%

i need to get around a user password on a laptop for an employee that was let go. any help?

Relevancy 43.86%

I recently changed my password and I've forgot it. Previously I've used F8 when I boot then safe mode w/net and it bypassed my user password screen but now it's not working. Any info would be great

Have you Tried NT Recovery Offline?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618232/user-password/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a sony Vaio and i have no rescue disk and can't login to my windows. Please tell me how to change my user id and password in dos mode

A:User ID & Password

I am pretty sure it is against this websites policy to give out any info on changing a password in windows without actually doing it the proper way.

Sorry about this inconvenience

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-id-and-password-188442.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello World.

I'm running a local printer on my Vista System which I want to share over my local network.

If I connect from a Windows XP System to Vista with the Windows Explorer I'm allways asked to enter my user name and password.
If I do so I can connect to the printer over the network.
If I don't enter the user name and password I'm naturally refused to access the printer.

So the question is: How can I give the Windows XP System permanent access to the Vista system and its printer without entering the user name and password manually every time?

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this problem.
Thanks for your help!
sega

A:User-Password

Originally Posted by therealsega

So the question is: How can I give the Windows XP System permanent access to the Vista system and its printer without entering the user name and password manually every time?

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this problem.

The two computers have entirely disjoint accounts databases, so naturally incoming access attempts must first be made to provide the credentials of one of the known (local) accounts.

The "simple" answer is to create accounts with identical username/password combinations on both machines. That way the incoming request always appears to match a known local account.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/255437-user-password.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Running Windows 7 and have added a second drive which has a user password on it from a previous installation of XP.
Iv'e tried to access the second drive for the files I need but it won't let me.
What's the answer?

From what I can tell, accomplishing this task without major hardware tinkering is next to impossible. However, here are some tips from around the web.

To access the hard drive you may need to take ownership of it.
Find the folder/hard drive you wish to access
Right Click > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner Tab
Highlight Administrator
Check Replace owner on...
OK, wait.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308421

If you had a EFS (Encrypted File System) then you may need to retrieve the private key.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241201

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/76384-user-password.html
Relevancy 43.86%

it is not for hacking purposes it is for my own personal computer

A:user password

you have already been given the reason why the post was closed - so please do not re-open another post
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8/1140931-all-versions-windows-retrieve-user.html

closing this thread

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-password.1140937/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,

Why would Bad User Name and/or Password Error keep showing up at startup? I've checked every user name and pass word I can think of that I have to see if they are current and I still get this error all the time. Any ideas? And how to correct this? Thank you.

John
Windows XP SP 2

A:Bad User Name or Password.

Have you got passwords enabled? Do you want them on? One of those crazy windows error prob or maybe a mistake.

Do you have to type it in on startup is that it or does it just come up in a "pretty" error box?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/6953/bad-user-name-or-password/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have an old tower that I've had for about 4 maybe 5 years the problem I'm having is I forgot the password that I had on it and need someone to help me bypass it I need this computer for work as my newest tower crashed!! Please help

Howdy and welcome. Unfortunately, we cannot assist with bypassing password. You may want to re-read the rules page at https://forums.techguy.org/help/rules/. As a result, I'm going to close this thread out.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-password.1159586/
Relevancy 43.86%

Can someone tell me why my windows mail is asking me for a user name and password? I have never needed one prior to now. Thanks

A:user name/password

Have you looked to see if 'save password' is checked. Tools/accounts/Select your account/properties/servers tab.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/261553-user-name-password.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My son has had his backpack stolen & his notebook he keeps his passwords in was in it. He has not had to use his password to log on in a long time. The problem is, now for some reason XP is requesting his password. He only uses the laptop for his music & for his school work. Now he can't get access to any of it because he can't remember which password he was currently using. He says he's afraid to try different ones because something about if you get it wrong three times it will screw it up permanently. Is there any way for him to find out which one he used without going through all the ones he can remember?

HELP! He's going crazy without his ipod!

A:XP user password

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=lost+xp+password&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS369US309&ie=UTF-8

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/395421/xp-user-password/
Relevancy 43.86%

Brother gave me his computer and removed all of his user data, when I try to log on to internet, being asked for user name and password. How to I either change or establish or create user name and password.

p.s. no start up disk, Hewlett Packard, with Windows 7.

A:user name and password

Have you asked him what the user name and password is?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/400153/user-name-and-password/
Relevancy 43.86%

I am using someone else's PC to post this question. I am not able to get on to my computer. My user name and password does not work anymore.When I try to log on, it says that I have not usee the correct user name and password. Nothing has been changed.. I have Windows XP.Help!!

A:User name and Password

You can find the utility [Mod Edit: link removed] very useful. Once run you can see the accounts on your computer and reset thier passwords. You need a jump drive, floppy disk or a cd to boot from.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-name-and-password.635121/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have an E-machine 733I which I have not used in awhile. Tried to log on (log on to windows with user name bar first line and password line on second bar) comes up saying, The system could not log you on. I've tried every password I could think of upwards and downwards. Nothing. I have reboot discs but i can't use if operating system is not running to any commands. Please help.

A:Password/User

Welcome To TSG....

Passwords - Please do not ask for assistance with forgotten passwords and/or bypassing them. As there is no way to verify the actual situation and/or intentions, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed.

Tech Support Guy Site Rules
http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/password-user.692937/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have an older Dell desktop system that is userid/password protected. Since I purchased a laptop, the desktop has gotten very little use. Over time, I have forgotten my userid and password and cannot perform any administrator functions (delete programs). Is there any way to recover this info so I can clean up the system?

A:User ID/Password

HI edshr4,

Unfortunately we can't help with bypassing or retrieving passwords on this forum.
Your best course of action would be to backup any data you need, then reformat and reinstall Windows.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-id-password-439763.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,We bought a new Acer Switch 10 which we only got today. Is there suppose to be a password on the tablet already? We cannot do anything without entering a password (which we do not have!)Can anybody help!

A:Why is there already a password/user on our new Ac...

shut it down.then press ALT+F10 an press the power button, this will start the Acer erecovery and re-install OS from factory.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Veriton/Why-is-there-already-a-password-user-on-our-new-Acer-Switch-10/td-p/368180
Relevancy 43.86%

I just brought 2 used DELL POS systems for my restaurant, everything turned on fine, i checked the internet and the touchscreen functions worked fine. I installed the treatware software (support system) when finishing up the install it asked me to restart to complete installation. when resarted it prompted me with a windows username and password. I dont understand why it asked me now as i was able to use the pc before installing treatware. i contacted treatware and they have no idea, i contacted dell and they say i may need to reinstall windows xp professional and its drivers (headache). Can anyone help me so i dont have to do this?

Relevancy 43.86%

Users put wrong password In user Account 3 Times That Time Windows Show (User Closed ) this Msg
How Will Do This

A:User Password

Go to the users account in Active Directory on the Domain Controller, and reset their password.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-password-556700.html
Relevancy 43.86%

hi
can anyone please help me here,my ex has changed my user password on my laptop and i am unable to get in,he actually took my laptop when we split up i have only today managed to get it back and now he will not tell me the password to get back in, it is running windows 7 and it's a fujitsu amilo notebook LI3710/LI3910,i have tried going into safe mode to find administrators account but it is only coming up with my account and guest account.i am not very computer minded so please in plain english.
thank you

A:help with user password please

well to be honest if he is not giving up the password

You might want to consider just wipping it clean and start fresh Sucks that you had a jerkish man in you're life to be so immature to do that

Anyway i would start using some of the pass-codes he used before pet names familly what ever but ultimatly i would just clean it start fresh imply your own code and make sure he never get's it again

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/131614-help-user-password-please.html
Relevancy 43.86%

i like to set up a user name and password so people can,t use my wireless what will happen is that they have to enter a user name and a password before it let them sufe the internet

Relevancy 43.86%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html