Windows Support Forum

Changing Dell desktops to removable drives

Q: Changing Dell desktops to removable drives

Hi,

I have several Dell desktops (745, 755, GX260, T5500, Etc) all Win7 and Server 2008, that have factory hard drives; I want to make them removable drives. In the past

I have special ordered desktops with T-7 units from Dell.

Now, I need to make about 20 desktops removable drive desktops, any ideas, Dell says I can't really add a Dell sponsored caddy / cage.

My other issue is I have to add whole disk encryption to it, TrueCrypt is perfect.

I also have to add USB tape backup unit. Q: does anyone have an USB portable tape backup unit and encrypting the hard drive and tape?

Thanks

Mn19~

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-dell-desktops-to-removable-drives.195340/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Changing Dell desktops to removable drives

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 64.93%

Hi we have a Supermicro server with an Intel C series controller and we would like to use some of the ports and their disks as removable devices to allow to copy media from one server to another I mean - The controller has ports with disk on each disks in total - The first ports will remain the same not removable OS in Raid Media in Raid - The other ports - will be used with SATA SSD drives and we need to remove them via Eject hardware as an attached hard drive and then being able to attach them to the backup server to read the media So far as I know there's a DWORD I may need to add in the registry but a little help would be more than welcome to solve this This is the opposite way to not allow the HDD to be ejected HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services asahci Controller Channel quot TreatAsInternalPort quot dword HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services asahci Controller Channel quot TreatAsInternalPort quot dword Thanks in advance

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4631f581-6251-4db6-9bc3-7068dce01516/how-to-have-sata-drives-connected-to-an-intel-raid-controller-as-removable-drives?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 64.07%

I was cleaning a PC that was infected with a tough rootkit and eventually rebuilt w/ OS to ensure all was well. During the attempted cleaning, I had a external hard drive and a flash drive connected to the PC. My question is ... can rootkits and their similar counterparts spread to attached drives such as these [and eventually infect the next PC they are attached to]?

I have since used the flash drive in a new Dell PC w/ Win7 and it is acting a bit strange all of a sudden after sitting overnight.

Thanks much!
Brian

A:Are Rootkits able to jump to external drives or removable drives?

Yes,that is quite easy,especially with .exe files.You ned to clean the drive and scan what ever iy connected to.Were they both Win7?EDIT:You can download and use Autorun Eater or Autorun USB Virus Finder which will allow removal of any suspicious 'autorun.inf' files they find. Panda USB Vaccine. Computer Vaccination will prevent any AutoRun file from running, regardless of whether the removable device is infected or not. USB Vaccination disables the autorun file so it cannot be read, modified or replaced and creates an AUTORUN_.INF as protection against malicious code. The Panda Resarch Blog advises that once USB drives have been vaccinated, they cannot be reversed except with a format. If you do this, be sure to back up your data files first or they will be lost during the formatting process.Another option for XP users is Flash_Disinfector by sUBs. Please read About Flash Disinfector by Papakid and USB/Flash Drive Safety by TheJoker.Finally, always scan USB flash drives and any external storage media after they have been used in other computer systems, even your own. An easy way to do this is to download "ClamWin Portable Antivirus", put it on your USB Flash Drive, update its definition files and perform a scan.{borrowed from our quietman7}

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/438727/are-rootkits-able-to-jump-to-external-drives-or-removable-drives/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a HP computer with a cdrom and a cdwriter...my problem is My computer folder lists these as removable drives. I have sought other help, done numerous things...such as removing the cdroms from device manager and letting Windows 98 re-install them. I can't read these in Windows Explorer either.
I have Adaptech Cd Creator 4.0 and in this program under cd info....the contents of both drives can be seen, also I can test these 2 drives, and they work perfectly under the tests. Any ideas why My Computer and Explorer see these drives as removable? I have exhausted my ideas on this one?????

------------------
Jim Pleasant

A:{RESOLVED} Cd rom and cdwriter drives listed as removable drives?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolved-cd-rom-and-cdwriter-drives-listed-as-removable-drives.34782/
Relevancy 64.07%

On my Windoiws 7 Ultimate desktop PC, all my SATA hard drives are show up as removable from day 1. This is not a big problem but an anonyance. When I click "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media", all my fixed drives are listed along with the USB drive. Anyway to change the drive type of my internal drives to the proper type?
Thanks.

A:Internal SATA drives are treated as removable drives

mine does the same thing. each of my partitions show up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/117302-internal-sata-drives-treated-removable-drives.html
Relevancy 61.92%

This is one of the weirdest problems 7 changing Windows whenever Professional desktops I have seen When I boot the HP Pavillion g series it may go to my usual everything works Desktop but more likely it will go to a Desktop similar to when the laptop was new with added Windows 7 Professional changing desktops whenever icons If i open any of those they are like Windows 7 Professional changing desktops whenever new program installs I have rebooted at least times until it finally goes to the desktop it should When it boots to the useless one it displays the message quot You have been logged in with a temporary file quot You cannot access your files Windows 7 Professional changing desktops whenever and the files created in this profile will be deleted when you log off I have scanned with anti-virus programs and mal-ware programs with results I tried restoring to a previous time with no luck Tried ccleaner wise disk cleaner registry cleaner with no luck Safe mode works fine What is causing this thing to boot to a different desktop It is driving me crazy having to reboot until it finally gets in the mood to work properly I hope I have explained all of this properly Dave

A:Windows 7 Professional changing desktops whenever

Hello Dave, and welcome to Seven Forums.

For this "You have been logged in with a temporary file" error, you might see if the tutorial below may be able to help with it. Be sure to read all of it for all available options to try.

User Profile Error - Logged on with a Temporary Profile - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/254308-windows-7-professional-changing-desktops-whenever.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with some problems. I have another newer Dell in the office that is not being used that has more resources. Both are running XP Professional. Instead of trying to re-load files and programs, can I just swap out the hard drives? Thanks.

A:Can I swap hard drives in 2 PC desktops?

You can't swap HDD's unless they are both EXACTLY the same.
What you could do however is install the HDD from your 4600 into an external enclosure and access it that way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-swap-hard-drives-in-2-pc-desktops.136542/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with some problems. I have another newer Dell in the office that is not being used that has more resources. Both are running XP Professional. Instead of trying to re-load files and programs, can I just swap out the hard drives? Thanks.

A:Can I swap hard drives in 2 PC desktops?

Assuming the drives are the same type ...

I doubt it .. The operating system in a Dell is probably married to the computer and will not work in another computer.

Even if it does work ..
It is licensed to the computer it's installed in .. And will be illegal in another computer ...
You will not be able to validate it .. or update it.

But .. You may be able to change the product key to match the computer it's installed in.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-swap-hard-drives-in-2-pc-desktops.870116/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have 2 drives showing in my computer which are not my drives, i have
q: local disk (shows as 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free)
and
H: Removable disk (shows as 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free)

How do i remove these, or find out what is using them

ty

A:Removable drives

The mysterious Local Disk Q in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/151658-removable-drives.html
Relevancy 58.48%

All of my removable drives seem to have disappeared. I'e been on TweakUI in the Control anel and looked at the drives in there and all of them except from my local and disk drive have red crosses through them... It's the drive I use for my camera card if that helps.

A:Removable drives

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removable-drives.434631/
Relevancy 58.48%

I would like to change the default icon for one of my removable disks in explorer from the default hard drive icon to something of my choosing. How would I go about doing this. I have tried writing a autorun file and put it in the root, but it didn't seem to work. Is there a registry setting to change or maybe some sort of program like Tweak UI that I could download? I did find a place in the registry where it looks like you can change it, but when I plug in my iPod it sometimes shows up as drive K,L,M, or N depending on what else I have plugged in. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt B

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-removable-drive-icons.378677/
Relevancy 58.05%

I am looking at a few Dell desktop PC's for a client of mine, who wants me to upgrade them from Windows XP to 7 and then to 10, and I use a KVM switch to switch from my own computer to his ones.  However, today, for the first one I am doing, I had to plug in an external keyboard and mouse, as, despite USB Legacy Devices being enabled or turned on in the BIOS, my KVM keyboard and mouse aren't working!  I went into the Device Manager to check for any driver updates on the USB devices and hubs, and there weren't any, and then Windows told me the USB device could not be recognised! 
Ironically, I did look at the same desktop (Dimension e520) for him a few years ago, and the KVM was recognised perfectly. 
Also, my Seagate External drive isn't being recognized either!  Any clues?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19974386
Relevancy 58.05%

First-off I want to say Hello!  I am new to this site. 

I recently purchased a few Dell Desktop computers to scrap for the precious materials.  Some of these were in working condition when removed from service, but had hard drive wiped.  I don't know what OS they had before but I would like to have Windows 7 or newer in them.  What would I need to do to make these whole again and running?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  These are Dell Optiplex GX110.

A:Making Dell Desktops whole again.

Hi freddiefan I just looked up the drivers webpage for your computer model on Dell website, here:http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-gx110/driversIt seems that the only support Windows XP for the most recent Windows OS, which means that they won't have any drivers that are compatible past Windows XP, so no Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1. Therefore, I guess that it won't be possible for you to install Windows 7 (or newer like you say) on these computers. On top of that, I can easily image these computers being under spec'd, which a really small HDD, close to no RAM, etc. I guess the best thing you can do with them is to install a really light-weight Linux distro (like Puppy Linux) on them or completely scrap them, since I doubt you'll be able to do anything useful with these.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565928/making-dell-desktops-whole-again/
Relevancy 58.05%

Running Win x Ultimate SP installed from this forum I hate asking stupid questions It's embarrassing to get answers I should already know So I tried to search first for this topic on this forum drives removable Phantom Out of selections offered me only one was vaguely appropriate Is this a sad state of a search engine or a searcher I'm amazed that there is so little data Phantom removable drives I could not be the only one with this issue Oh well on to the problem It is a nuisance really Phantom removable drives I have phantom removable drives I J K and L They show only in quot My computer quot I do not have Office beta installed I have two esata drives connected with their power off I disconnected their esasta cables just in case I have no Phantom removable drives floppy and removed it from the bios Rebooted and still have the phantoms Is it just me or have others experienced the same issue Any help will be appreciated

A:Phantom removable drives

Hi,

Does your machine have a multi SD card reader installed? If so then that'll be what the drives are, 1 for each reader.

It'll be similar to the image below...

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/142897-phantom-removable-drives.html
Relevancy 58.05%

hi,
my computer has four usb ports and they all show up as removable drives on the explore(normal) but they are there even when I have no usbs on it.. I would like for them not to show up there when I do not have usbs connected to it, how do I do that??

A:Removable Drives Show Up Even When There Is Nothing There

What happens if you insert a non-flash drive USB device?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/126460/removable-drives-show-up-even-when-there-is-nothing-there/
Relevancy 58.05%

hi ichange bios as ahci cause i have 2 dock station and every time i have to restart to see the dock stations hard drives,ok i change my bios settings to ahci (somewhere i read if i do that,i can see then the dock stations drives as hot swap) anyway i dont fix the problem cause i have to restart again the pc to see the dock stations drives but i see and my local drives (c:,d: ) as removable.any idea? how i fix it/.thank you.

A:i see my local drives as removable ..

It's common if you're using AHCI.

There may be a BIOS setting to set the internal drives as not removable. It's not universal, though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/242226-i-see-my-local-drives-removable.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello This is the first time posting I have a small home-based business and travel alot I bought a nice GB Lacie External Hard Drive and this worked out really nice but found that my Computer s C Drive kept saving my very sensitive financial and database I use Alpha even though I saved the data to my External Drive The problem I have is there are visitor s and some part-time employee s who have access to my office I don t want to lock the machine up nor the office room door as these same people need to get in there Can you suggest a removable hard drive that can easily slip out of my Dell E so I can just take it on the road with me I m not a cheapskate but I don t want to spent like over a for such an item Or am I just dreaming anyway Best Which Hard Removable Drives are any help you can give me would be helpful Also I would gladly pay someone to speak with me on this matter I would appreciate any Which Removable Hard Drives are Best helpful responses to this issue Cheers Yvette nbsp

A:Which Removable Hard Drives are Best

I think it would be a bad idea to have a C: drive that slides out, although there are caddies that allow this. It's not shock proofed like a portable, You'll drop it. You'll move it when it's still spinning. You'll lose the data.

It shouldn't be too hard to fgure out why data is getting written to both your C: and your external drives. It's probably not a bad idea anyway to have them backed up in two places. What if you lost the Lacie. If you install password protection on those files (and you should anyway if your Lacie were to get lost), then they would be safe from casual snoops. A user password on the PC would also do that.

And you might also consider USB thumb drives with password protection for your financial data.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/which-removable-hard-drives-are-best.731793/
Relevancy 58.05%

Sorry, it's me again! I'm ready for throwing this pc through the window. I'm trying to upload photos from a memory card, which I've done hundreds of times, and nothing is showing( i normally get the box which opens automatically), and when i check Computer, none of the removable drives are showing. What on earth is going on? Somebody help, please, before I crack up altogether!

A:Help(again!) Removable drives have disappeared?

Check Device Manager for red/ yellow flags -
START | type devmgmt.msc

In Dev Mgr, look under "Memory Technology Driver".

Go to system manufacturer's support site and see if updated drivers are available.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-again-removable-drives-have-disappeared-550354.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Good morning. My built in card reader drives are not showing up under My Computer, and they are not working at all. Any thoughts or direction on how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated. I use the compact flash all the time, and having to use a plug in card reader is terribly slow.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3453 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 372554 MB, Free - 243351 MB; D: Total - 8997 MB, Free - 1024 MB; G: Total - 953198 MB, Free - 445444 MB; J: Total - 610328 MB, Free - 149051 MB;
Motherboard: ECS, Nettle2
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi tech support guy Every time i open doubleckick on a external drive o start getting pop ups telling me that I have a amp quot VirusScan Alert amp quot it says that the threat s name is amp quot D autorun inf amp quot if i opened that drive for example and reports that it has been deleted even though the said file does not show up on the drive However after about seconds the pop up keeps re-appearing a constant intervals If I re-start the laptop then it will not happen until I double click one of the external drives If instead of opening the external drive I amp quot explore amp quot it then whatever that is there is not activated Also everytime i restart the laptop i have to re-type my DNS server numbers it just dissappears when power off I have a dell inspiron laptop running on Windows XP service pack I hope you can help me other way i ll have to re-install windows here follows the log from hijackthis Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v all removable Generic!atr in drives... Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System WLTRYSVC EXE C WINDOWS System bcmwltry exe C Program Files Diskeeper Corporation Diskeeper DkService exe C Program Files Java jre Generic!atr in all removable drives... bin jqs exe C WINDOWS system lkcitdl exe C WINDOWS system lkads exe C WINDOWS system Generic!atr in all removable drives... lktsrv exe C Program Files McAfee Common Framework FrameworkService exe C Program Files McAfee VirusScan Enterprise mcshield exe C Program Files McAfee VirusScan Enterprise vstskmgr exe C Program Files National Instruments MAX nimxs exe C Program Files McAfee Common Framework naPrdMgr exe C WINDOWS system nipalsm exe C Program Files National Instruments Shared Security nidmsrv exe C WINDOWS system nisvcloc exe C Program Files National Instruments Shared Tagger tagsrv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Sandboxie SbieSvc exe C Program Files SigmaTel C-Major Audio DellXPM v WDM STacSV exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system nipalsm exe C WINDOWS system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files SigmaTel C-Major Audio WDM stsystra exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system WLTRAY exe C WINDOWS OEM Mon exe C Program Files National Instruments NI-DAQ HWConfig nidevmon exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files McAfee VirusScan Enterprise SHSTAT EXE C Program Files McAfee Common Framework UdaterUI exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files McAfee Common Framework McTray exe C Program Files DellTPad Apoint exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files DellTPad ApMsgFwd exe C Documents and Settings Eduardo Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleUpdate exe C Program Files Sandboxie SbieCtrl exe C Program Files DellTPad HidFind exe C Program Files DellTPad Apntex exe C Program Files WordWeb wweb exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files AMUST Registry Cleaner RegCleaner exe C WINDOWS system SearchProtocolHost exe C WINDOWS system SearchFilterHost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS System wbem wmiprvse exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Softw... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/generic-atr-in-all-removable-drives.801980/
Relevancy 58.05%

hi i have a intel g chipset Compaq presario sr IL with gb ram and USB gt gt gt i dont have system restore ON on my machine lt lt lt till a few days back all my usb removable drives were working fine i brought USB flash drive from my friend KINGSTON DATA TRAVELLOR GB windows says quot Installing Device Driver quot and says it cant find driver for you DTI and hence says to insert a CD which came with Drive However in my other PCs its working fine installs [NEW] working. removable USB drives Not fine I noticed all my OWN USB drives that have been used before on PC are working OK but this drive isnt Similarly i tried to use a NEW GB transcend drive which also give ditto same error I have figured that windows has lost ability to install new USB removable drives So i googled and deleted my infcache file sites suggested it was corrupt WIndows remade it No respite I even put USBSTOR ini and USBSTOR pnf from file repository to c windows inf No respite I lastly deleted my c windows inf folder And replaced with another one from my friend s Vista NO RESPITE Please Help i am in gr trouble gt gt gt i dont have system restore ON on my machine lt lt lt nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

ok ive ended having to format my usb driver (lexar jumpdrive secure), which worked fine except its formatted as a harddrive instead of a removable drive (different icons in explorer). This wouldnt usually be a problem but at school the computers basically restict everthing so i cant write to my 'harddrive' at school.
Any ideas how to format as a removable drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-formatting-removable-drives.64418/
Relevancy 58.05%

hello
could some one tell me where to search for drivers on my removable drives? i have tried to update and also to rollback.
there was aprogram installed and its conflicting with my disc drives
thanks
justjesse2

Relevancy 58.05%

Let me first say that I have misplaced my cable to connect camera to pc. I used my drive in the a.m. to email picture. Downloaded onto pc fine. 3 hours later.....pc does not recognize my camera card. I tried a different card and nothing there either. There is no flashing light so the pc is not acknowledging the card. I then went to my computer and drives D,E,F,G are gone. Where did they go.......and my 1 year old grandaughter got to the pc. Did she do something to remove these? And yes, she was unsupervised for couple minutes. Thanks for any advice.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-where-did-removable-drives-go.819612/
Relevancy 58.05%

First off let me say that I have not been involved in IT for at least 3 yrs and I know that there have been many changes....that said I am having a problem with a DA IT person in this office but before I can argue with him I need to know if it is possible.

OK my question is : Can you take a hard drive and put it into a case and turn it into a removable hard drive. I know from 3 yrs ago that a standard onboard hd was one thing and a removable was another and one could not become the other, he is stating that you can..........am I wrong in thinking that he is full of s**t

Thanks

Relevancy 58.05%

OK. Now, I'm fed up. Vista has some serious problems with removal drives (flash drives). I would connect my Sansa E250 to my computer to recharge its battery before going to bed and in the morning, before going out, I would safely remove it from power. BUT! Vista says that something is using it! WTF! I've only plugged it onto the computer to recharge my portable music player device! I haven't done anything else. WTF Vista is thinking?

A:Vista & Removable Drives

I've had that happen.
When I connect an external hard disk via a USB adapter, the Safely Remove Hardware thing from the tray sometimes works OK and sometimes not. It depends what's on the particular hard disk, such as whether it only has data files or also has a Windows OS on it.

I don't know of any solution except just don't use the Remove Hardware tray icon. If you are sure there is no reading or writing happening on the USB device, it's probably safe to just unplug it. If that seems too risky, you could put the computer into Sleep mode, then unplug the device.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/180355-vista-removable-drives.html
Relevancy 58.05%

My sister's computer is a HPW17E and is running on Windows VISTA. All of her removable disk drives I, H, F, G, and E are full. Her C drive is a fourth full and D drive about 3/4 full. I believe she may have a virus. They were using Trend Micro Antivirus 2008 plus antispyware. They did not renew there antivirus software when it expired. Will the old virus software still work except for any new viruses except for any new viruses not being detected, or when the old software expires would they no longer have any kind of virus protection? The screen on the computer had went black. After leaving it off they are able to get back on finally. What are your suggestions to fixing the full drives? They have a ton of pictures, not backed up. Any suggestions to prevent from losing these pictures? Any helps appreciated!

A:Removable drives i, h, f, g, and e are full

You should check out under General Security what freeware is recommended for Internet Security and virus protection. As far as I know, when a program is not updated, you are not protected.
Are all those drives harddrives built in? Or USB drives? If you can, get an external drive to backup each drive. If they are usb drives, only plug one at a time in, then you shouldn't have a problem.
Is this a desktop or a laptop? Laptops overheat when too much is plugged in and shut down. Also when a virus checker (even if outdated) first runs, it can get stalled by too many drives to be checked. I unplug my USB sticks and then everything works fine.
Updating memory also helps, since you didn't clarify what component the computer has, every bit of informations helps the volunteers to come up with an answer.
And Welcome to TSG,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removable-drives-i-h-f-g-and-e-are-full.856827/
Relevancy 58.05%

When I connect my Fiji "Image Memory Card Reader DPC-R1" to a UBS port, I notice that I get 2 Removable Disk Drives on My Computer. Shouldn't I have only 1 new drive?
When I disconnect the card reader from the UBS port, both drives disappear from My Computer.
Should I be concerned about this? Is it a problem?

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi, this is my first post LOL.

Im having a problem accessing my removable drives, each time i connect them and click on them in my computer it automatically goes to notepad. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

A:Cant open removable drives

Hello N.P

This could just be a glitch or the result of a malware infection.
Try the drive association fix here
Scroll down to
?Frequently used Tips & fixes for Windows XP?
Select the ?Drive association fix for XP?

If that does not help
Open Windows Explorer
Tools/Folder Options/View

Put a check at ?Show hidden files and folders?
Remove check from ?Hide extensions for known file types?

Remove check from ?Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)?
Apply
OK

Now look for "Autorun.inf" in the root of the drive. By this I mean H:\ etc

If you can`t see it
Start and select "Search" and search for
"autorun.inf" (Search the computer including hidden files)

Can you see a file "Autorun.inf"
If so rename it to a "a *.bak" file. (Right click/Rename)
It then becomes "AutoRun.bak"
Reboot and check if fixed.

You can delete the file later if all is well.
If that was the problem you will have to have your system checked for malware.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-removable-drives-346072.html
Relevancy 58.05%

How to prevent removable drive from being a carrier of viruses and malware?

1)Sometime you have to transfer data from removable drive to your PC for work and projects. If the PC is infected how do you prevent it from infecting your removable drive?

2)how do you prevent infected removable drive from infecting your PC?

Is there any way to spot it?

A:how to protect removable drives

Hi,
I would say scanning them would be a good practice,
As well as scanning the computers with he same utilities before inserting the removable hdd...
Cheers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/329441-how-protect-removable-drives.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi guys I am trying to recover some deleted files from my android phone (samsung galaxy s3) but the file recovery software I am using only detects removable devices yet the S3 Shows up as a portable device. Is there a way to override this, because in the file recovery software it only detects drive letters.

Hope someone can help I really want to recover deleted photos

A:Changing portable device to removable storage

If the phone is rooted, you can try this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bmRlbGV0ZSJd

Or, on Windows, this: NTFS Undelete — Easy to use undelete software

You might be unsuccessfull though, because on flash drives, the empty space is flushed occasionally to speed up writing operations, since flash memory cannot simply be overwritten like harddisks, but the deletion of the old content is a separate operation. This is why the TRIM command is used by many OSs when accessing flash disks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234731-changing-portable-device-removable-storage.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Win XP SP Media Center Edition GB of RAM AMD Athlon Processor ---------------------------------- NOTE I'm working on this system remotely Every ten seconds or so the computer beeps If I am in Explorer I see the removable drive letters change each time there is a beep The removable drives are letters changing drive by Removable themselves constantly one of those media card reader assemblies that occupy one of the quot drive bays First thing I checked was for viruses I tried several different A V apps AVG PrevX CSI and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware It's clean On bootup the owner reports that an error message appears on bootup quot no disk Exception Processing Message c Parameters b bf c b bf Removable drive letters constantly changing by themselves c b bf c quot A Google search found a site claiming a fix as simple as reassigning drive letters to the removable drives Did not work for me As fast as I tried I could not change the letters before they changed themselves I manage to change one eventually So I went into Device Manager to uninstall the removable drives They reappear as fast as I uninstall them I am thinking of making a housecall to physically unplug the connection to these removable drives reboot and see if all's well then shutting down and reconnecting and see if problem is gone Before I make that trip has anyone had a similar problem If so how did you fix it Plus their Windows Messenger can send me messages but when I type a return message it never appears This may be unrelated I just don't know

A:Removable drive letters constantly changing by themselves

I made typos in the error code. Actual error code was:
Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/removable-drive-letters-constantly-changing-by-themselves-401400.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Win XP SP Media Center Edition GB of RAM AMD Athlon Processor ---------------------------------- NOTE I m working on this system remotely Every ten seconds letters Removable by changing constantly themselves drive or so the computer beeps If I Removable drive letters constantly changing by themselves am in Explorer I see the removable drive letters change each time there is a beep The removable drives are one of those media card reader assemblies that occupy one of the quot drive bays First thing I checked was for viruses I tried several different A V apps AVG PrevX CSI and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware It s clean On bootup the owner reports that an error message appears on bootup quot Exception Processing Message c Parameters b bf c b bf c b bf c quot A Google search found a site claiming a fix as simple as reassigning drive letters to the removable drives Did not work for me As fast as I tried I could not change the letters before they changed themselves I manage to Removable drive letters constantly changing by themselves change one eventually So I went into Device Manager to uninstall the removable drives They reappear as fast as I uninstall them I am thinking of making a housecall to physically unplug the connection to these removable drives reboot and see if all s well then shutting down and reconnecting and see if problem is gone Before I make that trip has anyone had a similar problem If so how did you fix it Plus their Windows Messenger can send me messages but when I type a return message it never appears This may be unrelated I just don t know nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removable-drive-letters-constantly-changing-by-themselves.848998/
Relevancy 57.62%

Years ago I bought my first Dell it was a Pentium II the last one I bought was around It was over amp purchasing questions Desktops, Dell before included the Dell ADA THX speaker system which Dell Desktops, questions before purchasing I use to this day without any problems or more years have passed since then at that time Dell home desktops were built like tanks amp lasted for years One concern I have in making a purchase of a top of the line is all the problems being reported regarding BIOS issues amp general hardware problems reliability Are they not what they used to be in these regards Also the amount of complaints regarding customer service tech support issues concerns me Should I be Another thing that seems to be a problem is orders not being sent on time or being charged for a purchase then going through what appears to be huge hassle getting these issues resolved quickly I d like to hear from people that can recall nbsp Dell nbsp desktops back then amp have continued to stay with them Thanks nbsp

A:Dell Desktops, questions before purchasing

These forums were full of helpful owners many years ago. Did they all jump ship & start building their own

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19682224
Relevancy 57.19%

i m tryin to use combofix on my ipod but its nt wrkin can ne1 help me on how to use it on an ipod

A:Combofix Cant Work On Removable Drives

i m tryin to use combofix on my ipod but its nt wrkin can ne1 help me on how to use it on an ipodI dont think you can use it on an iPod, but why do you want to use it on an iPod?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/171706/combofix-cant-work-on-removable-drives/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi guys,

This is another minor annoyance. When I insert any removable drive (USB, SD cards, etc) the device shows up twice in Explorer. Once under "This PC" tree and the other as a device. See attached pic (USB Drive H):

I remember hearing about this being the way it's designed to work, but frankly it's a bit silly - I only need to see a single entry for the drive/device...

Is there any way to get rid of one of these entries without stuffing up some other Explorer feature?

Cheers,

Mike.

A:Explorer showing removable drives twice

Hi,

This might be the answer: Drives in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/38165-explorer-showing-removable-drives-twice.html
Relevancy 57.19%

My new PC has a 120GB hard drive and both USB 2.0 and IEEE 1394 ports. Can anyone recommend reasonably priced hardware configurations and software for using 2-3 external hard drives for backups?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/backing-up-to-removable-hard-drives.74177/
Relevancy 57.19%

Help I have a problem with my CD Drives I am running windows me on a celeron with Mb Problem is I had a power failure due to a faulty appliance triping the power breakers When I rebooted everything came ok following a scan disk without problem but the CD ROM and CD RW drives are now CD drives as working removable RW CD Not shown ROM & showing up CD ROM & CD RW Not working shown as removable drives as Removalbe drives not CD drives I have tried to uninstall to drives and reinstal them I have physicly removed the drives and tried them CD ROM & CD RW Not working shown as removable drives in another pc and they are ok I have checked my bios and they are shown correctly In device manager they are listed correctly without any problems In device manager CD ROM properties settings the drives removable check box is grayed out but not checked When I insert a cd the drive reads the disk and shows it as an empty disk if i click on the drive the same thing happens I am at a loss can any one help nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

Is it possible to 'force' a removable drive (ie flash drive) to be shared when its inserted into a pc?

The reason been, i work in a school as an i.t technician, and the kids have started to bring in scripts on their removable drives and theres not a thing we can do about them, because we can't see them

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/auto-sharing-removable-drives.706744/
Relevancy 57.19%

The DVD drives in my machine do not show up in the removable devices section of Explorer under Computer. They are listed under the hard drives section and there is no removable devices section shown.
Some of my applications cannot detect that there is a DVD drive attached to the system because of this.
As an related problem, USB devices do not show as removable storage also.
I've tried re-installing the devices for the DVD drives but no change to the situation.
Can anyone suggest a solution? The problem has persisted since I did a clean install of Win 7 Pro.

A:DVD drives not showing as removable devices

Quote: Originally Posted by steveci

The DVD drives in my machine do not show up in the removable devices section of Explorer under Computer. They are listed under the hard drives section and there is no removable devices section shown.
Some of my applications cannot detect that there is a DVD drive attached to the system because of this.
As an related problem, USB devices do not show as removable storage also.
I've tried re-installing the devices for the DVD drives but no change to the situation.
Can anyone suggest a solution? The problem has persisted since I did a clean install of Win 7 Pro.

Hi Steve and welcome
This might be as simple as a driver. Can you go into device manager (type device manager is search) and check the dvd drive tab. Is your device listed? does it have a yellow explanation on top?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/91833-dvd-drives-not-showing-removable-devices.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi Folks,
Wife's computer [HP Desktop running XP Media Center] - she went to plug in an SD card from her camera and said somethings gone. Windows Explorer is only showing drives C: (main), D: (recovery), and E: (CD/DVD). All of the other drives F: - K: are gone. These drives were a varity of RMS slots and a couple of extra USB ports. Not sure what happened, but possible that the eject drive button from the task tray was used improperly, but still clueless on the steps needed to diagnois and fix the bloody thing.

Any help appreciated! TIA.

Steve

A:Missing Removable Media Drives F: - K:

A simple reboot may cause the system to re-detect them.

Have you checked device manager for any question marks, exclamation points, unknown devices?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248517/missing-removable-media-drives-f-k/
Relevancy 57.19%

This problem is driving me crazy and I am having one great big headache at this moment trying to figure Removable working-HELP drives not storage this one out None of my removable storage drives are functioning All are recogninzed by the computer but they can not be accessed Everything says quot lt drive gt is not accessible Incorrect function quot I put my flash card in and the computer sees it and recognizes it as such but won t let me access it Same with any CDs or DVDs I put in my drives Removable storage drives not working-HELP I can t install new programs with a cd because it is not accessible I install new software by downloading from the proper website Removable storage drives not working-HELP When I plug in my Fuji camera to download pictures to the pc it recognizes the camera and gives it a drive but I can t download the pictures My A drive is not accessible What is happening I am running XP w SP My DVD drive is SONY CD-RW CRX A My DVD is generic DVDRom X I have tried a system restore with no success I have tried to update everything and nothing Removable storage drives not working-HELP I have disconnected unplugged and tried reinstalling EVERYTHING without success Please help nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

So I basically explained what I wanted to do with the title: I want to add desktop icons of removable drives whenever I insert a flashdrive/memorystick/or some other kind of drive. I also want it to disappear once that drive is removed.

This is probably the one feature I want from Macs that Vista doesn't have. The dock is the second, although that's an easy fix with so many dock programs around.

So am I asking for too much with this small feature? Already I have shortcuts of the drive icons on my desktop, but it looks a bit ugly, especially when an icon has a question mark sign on it. And I'm trying to keep my desktop as clean as possible. Last, I'd prefer that the program is free. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving Day.

A:add desktop icons of removable drives

I don't think you can do that.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/108437-add-desktop-icons-removable-drives.html
Relevancy 57.19%

If you plug in a USB memory stick, or other removable drive, XP automatically opens an explorer window to show you what's on the drive.

How can I STOP this from happening.

We are using our memory sticks as a USB key (login) for software and don't want that window to appear forcing the user to close it.

ps Yes, we've worked out a way of securing the file and preventing it from being useful if copied to another stick, so duplicating keys is not an issue.

We just don't want that explorer window to pop up when the computer sees the USB memory stick!

A:Explorer Popup with removable drives

I would think you would have to edit the computer options, I don't think there is anything you can do to the USB key to change this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/explorer-popup-with-removable-drives.198214/
Relevancy 57.19%

I think this first started being an annoyance to be back around the launch of Windows 7. I've got an entire array of drives in use on my PC at any given moment, disbonded on my task or needs. With the advent of much larger USB thumbdrives, I've had less and less need for swapping/moving USB HDD's all the time.

SO this is what I want...I would like to be able to tell DeviceManager that these USB drives are just plain old drives and not Portable Devices (Clip1).
It makes me insane in the file explorer where under This PC:> that when I expand, displays a whole collection of my drives nested under This PC but them shows them again independently/redundantly (Clip2)

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/63520-usb-drives-removable-neither-device-manager.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Disable Scan and Fix for Removable Drives in Windows - How-To Geek

A:Disable Scan and Fix for Removable Drives

Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7

Disable Scan and Fix for Removable Drives in Windows - How-To Geek

Cool article, but there's an easier way that does not disable Shell Hardware Detection or AutoPlay!.

When using removable media, instead of simply yanking the device out (as most people do), use the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon in the Taskbar Notification area:

That way, you won't screwup the filesystem of the device, and you'll never see the "Scan and Fix" prompt...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/127820-disable-scan-fix-removable-drives.html
Relevancy 57.19%

My wife just recently got a flash-based MP3 player that can just plug in like a flash drive. She also has her existing flash drive. When both devices are plugged into our Win2k system, they both show up as "Removable Drive" just with differing drive letters.

She's already labeled the flash drive with a unique name (My Computer-->Right clicked on the drive-->Properties-->Typed in "MyStuff" as the label-->OK), and the label stays (even after she unplugs/replugs the drive), but Windows won't display the label, it just says "Removable Drive". This gets awfully confusing when both the flash drive and MP3 player are plugged in and they both are shown as "Removable Drive"!!

How do I get the label(s) to show for these devices?

A:Labels for removable (flash) drives

Go to Device Manager, and assign each of the drives a unique drive letter. When you plug them in, they'll always be assigned that drive letter. This should help you tell them apart. FWIW, when I label my FLASH drives, they show up in My Computer with the volume name, just like any other drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/labels-for-removable-flash-drives.356265/
Relevancy 57.19%

My operating system is Windows XP Pro As of yesterday all was fine I even burned a DVD Today quot My Computer quot isn t even showing my DVD CD recorder only showing Drive A Floppy It started when I downloaded I think WindowsBlinds just wanted to do some color changes Well when I installed it Norton came up with a drives System removable seeing not Solved: Trojan Norton Quarantined or deleted it and said no more further actions required The install finished windowblinds and I tried a couple different skins and decided to Solved: System not seeing removable drives uninstall it Uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller I still had a movie to burn Solved: System not seeing removable drives with ConvertX but when I started it came back saying no writer found so I went to quot My Computer quot and sure enough it is not there Tried system restore and the only restore point was from today when I did the uninstall with Revo so I tried that and after System Restore went through shutdown amp restart it came back saying system cannot be restored no changes made What can I do to get my Sony DVD RW back Thank you d r m nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,

I have a Compaq V4310NR with XP Home. Recently, it stopped reading any removable drive such as USB Flash or via the 9-in-1 card reader for SD cards. Once inserted, the drive is shown, but when you double-click it says "disk in drive d is not formatted would u like to format it now?"

And the thing is that these are perfectly fine in other computers. I've tested repeatedly with USB and SD card. Also, if the card is in camera which is then attached via USB, it can usually see the data (not tested in all configs).

Is this work of some virus, or some settings gone bad? Please help, and thanks in advance...

--Naseer

A:Laptop not reading removable drives

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-not-reading-removable-drives.571113/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi guys,

This is another minor annoyance. When I insert any removable drive (USB, SD cards, etc) the device shows up twice in Explorer. Once under "This PC" tree and the other as a device. See attached pic (USB Drive H):

I remember hearing about this being the way it's designed to work, but frankly it's a bit silly - I only need to see a single entry for the drive/device...

Is there any way to get rid of one of these entries without stuffing up some other Explorer feature?

Cheers,

Mike.

A:Explorer showing removable drives twice

Hi,

This might be the answer: Drives in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/38165-explorer-showing-removable-drives-twice.html
Relevancy 57.19%

We currently have a unique method of performing backups. It is working successfully but we have problems. WE have 6 hot swappable hard drives in removable enclosures. What the problem is when we remove the drive and insert the new drive it is unrecongnized. I have read various books on re-activating it with no luck. I do the import foriegn with no luck either. The only way to activate the drive is reboot the server. Then go to management and inport foreign. This works fine this way. I would really like to be able to remove one hot swappable drive and insert another. This server is a clone box with Asus Board running dual 933 w/1gig memory, RAID running off a Promise controller. The hot swap drive is running off the primary IDE port

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-server-and-removable-drives.70088/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have an odd issue with diskmgmt.msc or the disk managment feature of computer management (both the same thing). Anyway, it displays my fixed hard drive in my laptop just fine, however my SD/MMC cards, CD/DVD drives, external drives, etc.....do not show up. They are recognized however, and I can access my drive G: (the SD card) just fine through explorer and my computer. Is there any reason why they're not showing up in my disk management console? and is there a way to fix this?

Relevancy 56.76%

I'm using a Lenovo PC (Windows 8.1) with a 64GB eMMC. I use Micro SD and USB 3.0 for the vast majority of my storage. Whenever I want to delete a file on these drives the usual delete confirmation dialog appears. I seem to recall that on Windows 98 and XP this was not the case. Is there a way around this in Windows 8.1, perhaps by mounting the drives? I delete dozens of files a day and this confirmation dialog is an annoyance to say the least.

TIA.

A:How Do I Disable Delete Confirmation on Removable Drives?

The whole purpose of a confirmation is to make sure that you are not deleting the wrong file. Nothing has changed on Trash for this feature. It will always be the same way since Windows 95.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/72232-how-do-i-disable-delete-confirmation-removable-drives.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have the setting as shown in the tutorial:

Drives - Hide or Show Empty Drives in Computer Folder

To not show empty removable drives.

In My Computer the empty removable drives are visible but grayed out. I'd rather not see them at all if they are empty. The only empty drive I want visible in the DVD drive.

Is there a way to fix it? In Vista it works correctly but W7 it wants to show them grayed.

A:Empty Removable Drives showing grayed out

Hmm, grayed out would seem to indicated that it is showing the empty drive letters for a memory card reader instead of hiding them. You might try one of the other options in the tutorial to hide them to see if it may work better.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/122839-empty-removable-drives-showing-grayed-out.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I ve SATA you non-removable? drives think make Can windows are always been annoyed that my three internal SATA drives always show up as being removable Although they are optimized for performance the option for stopping the drive still lingers This is useless as my motherboard doesn t even SUPPORT the SATA hotplug feature Several apps always give me some minor problems related to this such as nero but Can you make windows think SATA drives are non-removable? winrar is really irritating me Because it thinks my drives are like thumbdrives or something it thinks it has to extract to drive C and then copy the file over to the destination location slowing the process dramatically Since i have only a gb partition on my C drive its a raptor it often doesn t have enough GBs free to extract large archives and setting the temp location to another drive results in a failure to extract for some reason Basically I have had a lot of random problems and inconveniences to do with the lack of distinction between my theoretically removable SATA drives and removable media Is there a way to force the driver OS to think that it is a non-removable drive nbsp

A:Can you make windows think SATA drives are non-removable?

You obviously have a nVidia chipset MB, their drivers seem to think SATA drives are removable. I don't know of a cure for that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-make-windows-think-sata-drives-are-non-removable.493990/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hey guys, I'm so frustrated right now! These problems have been occurring since a month. I can't read any DVDs/CDs via DVD-ROM. My computer won't pick up any external-HDD, USB flash drives, nothing. This has been pissing me off since a month and I finally considered of reinstalling the Windows and I did just now, BUT THE PROBLEMS ARE STILL THERE?

Computer doesn't reads removable storages devices. Sometimes, they wouldn't even show up. The DVD-ROM says that 'please insert disk" while it's in there.
I've Windows 7 32-bit, which I just installed at the moment.
I guess it's a hardware problem but not exactly sure. Would you guys help? All these dvds/cds/flash-drivers/external-hdds are fine and work with my other systems.

Please help me out, I'm done with this.

A:Problems with Removable drives (thumb drivers/DVD-ROM, everything)

First of all, check that malware is not affecting your system. Download the free version of this;

Malwarebytes

Run a FULL scan, and if it finds anything post the log here.

Regards....Mike Connor

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/155864-problems-removable-drives-thumb-drivers-dvd-rom-everything.html
Relevancy 56.76%

From one the BitLocker tutorials below, Win10 uses the new XTS AES.
My question is, if I use XTS-AES for Removable Flash Drives, will it also work on older Windows OSs like Win7 and Win8?
In case I need to access my USB flash drive running the XTS mode while I am on travel and need to insert it on my friends or family's PC running Win7 or Win8, will it work?
Or, will I have to just set the encryption method setting for flash drives to CBC instead of XTS mode?

Windows 10 uses XTS-AES 128 bit by default for operating system drives as well as fixed data drives, and uses AES-CBC 128 bit by default for removable data drives.

http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/69062-using-xts-mode-usb-removable-flash-drives-win7-8-a.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Recently I installed GB of RAM and Windows Professional -Bit OEM on my moms Acer Aspire with ATI Radeon HD and AMD Turion X Now the RAM was accepted perfectly I installed the OS over top Windows as internal drives Removable Treats 7 of its original OEM copy of Windows Vista -Bit and I noticed that it Windows 7 Treats internal drives as Removable treats the internal primary drive as removable I also deleted the OEM partition that came with the PC since it wasn t going to be used anymore There are now partitions the C which is primary D whichs is DATA and is not in use and I which I created from the unallocated space I got from the OEM partition I deleted I went into Device Manager and I did a scan for changes but nothing changed anything I updated the BIOS to v I didn t install any of the Acer ePower and Acer Software since it is just bloatware and not necessary and is not used frequently all the other drivers except for Bluetooth are present So is there anyway to fix this issue that Windows thinks the internals are removable when they are not Thanks Ken nbsp

A:Windows 7 Treats internal drives as Removable

AFIK you can disable the icon, but that is normal for SATA drives.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-treats-internal-drives-as-removable.922634/
Relevancy 56.76%

I just completed an update installation on a desktop PC running Windows 7. Now my hard drives show up as removable drives.

Normally this is due to the need to install an AHCI driver. And that is normally the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel chipsets. The driver was installed in Windows 7.

Is this a case where I need to manually install a new IRST Driver for Windows 10?
If so, should I uninstall the existing first, or will the new one overwrite the old?

A:New W10 Install - Hard Drives Show Up As Removable

OK dudes and dudettes - I solved this problem.

I had to reinstall the ICH10R SATA AHCI Driver for my motherboard (Asus P6T).

Trouble was, the most recent Intel driver version was showing for the Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller device in Device Manager.
I started by going to the Asus P6T website and downloaded the current driver package (for Windows 7 64 bit - the newest OS available), and unzipped it to a file on the desktop.

Then in Device Manager I went to Properties for the Controller > Update Driver >
Initial attempts resulted in "The best driver is installed"
Now I selected "Browse my Computer" and I then went beyond that to "Let me pick from a list of drivers for this device" > selected the SATA AHCI device > Next
This installed the generic Windows 10 driver (10.0.10586.0). > Restart > problem remains.

Back in Device Manager > Search my computer > navigate to the folder on the desktop > highlight driver folder > Next > Restart

Problem solved. Intel Driver installed. No more removable drives.

The driver version is the same as it was, but now the AHCI part is working as expected.
Go figure.

So I can leave IRST alone (uninstalled), as I have read that Windows 10 does not need it.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/36967-new-w10-install-hard-drives-show-up-removable.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Ok, so since I've had my computer, I've had 4 extra removable drives listed in my computer.
1. When acsess they do not exist.
2. When removed with the remove drives safley utility they come back at next startup, but they do not afect performance in any way.
3. When USB slots are filled with drives, they are just not used and lay there as usless as can be.
They just seem unecessary and i just want to get rid of them, any ideas?

A:Solved: Extra removable drives (Normal?)

If you have a built in memory card reader, then these are for the different sizes and formats that can be used.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-extra-removable-drives-normal.757108/
Relevancy 56.33%

For some reason, a while back, the computer started thinking that my built in memory card readers were removable drives.
Here are some pics:

Instead of the removable discs, it should say like: "MMC/SD" "Compact Flash" and so on.
Can someone tell me how to fix it?

Plus, also, for some reason, when I double click on say my hard drive or my removable discs or whatever, it automatically just brings up a new search window. Can someone tell me how to fix it back so it will just open it up and show the files?

Relevancy 56.33%

I'm pretty sure I have a virus on my PC itself and on my flash drive. CA keeps popping up every 10 seconds or so telling me that a virus has been detected and deleted on my removable drive. It's called INF/Slenfbot.GT and it's on my Autorun.inf file on my drive. Need help please!

A:Help have virus INF/Slenfbot.GT on removable drives, CA pops up every 10 secs

Most likely the virus is on the PC, it is trying to replicate by copying itself to the flash drive so it can infect any PC it is plugged into. I suggest formatting the flash drive and remove it immediately after it is done formatting, then clean the PC of the virus.

Go to this board, read the first "Sticky" at the top very carefully, then post your HJ log on that board for expert help in removing the virus.

http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware...jackthis-logs/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-have-virus-inf-slenfbot-gt-on-removable-drives-ca-pops-up-every-10-secs.860362/
Relevancy 56.33%

When I insert any kind of removable drive weather its a USB HDD Thumb drive or SD I very often get these prompts I know for a fact there's nothing wrong with the drives I can close the message and use them all as normal It did once prompt me to format my TB drive on Drives All Removable To Or Are Scan Prompted Format Insertion Upon my windows x All Removable Drives Are Prompted To Format Or Scan Upon Insertion system but its rare it happens on that machine Its on my windows x laptop I ran chkdsk defragmented virus scanned I don't like the danger of my documents being formatted Its so easy to not be paying attention and accidentally hit enter or someone else does I engineer with audio and video and it can result in a huge loss for me Backing up the files would help but the problem would still be there I had windows installed since February and it wasn't a problem initially Windows wouldn't let me create a screen-shot of whats being seen but the text still copied to the clipboard Usually I would be able to knock out the problem but I don't know whats going on at this point I am A certified if that helps Windows x Sony Vaio VGN-N E Window Title Microsoft Windows Main Instruction Do you want to scan and fix Portable Drive G Content There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it Scan and fix recommended Continue without scanning OR Window Title Microsoft Windows Main Instruction You need to format the disk in drive G before you can use it Content Do you want to format it Format disk Cancel

A:All Removable Drives Are Prompted To Format Or Scan Upon Insertion

You may be able to get a screen shot with last freeware Faststone Capture
A+ Freeware - Multimedia & Design - FastStone Capture 5.3 (last freeware version)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/102699-all-removable-drives-prompted-format-scan-upon-insertion.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I m pretty sure I INF/Slenfbot.GT on 10 Help pops every virus secs removable drives, up CA have have a virus on my PC itself and on my flash drive CA keeps popping up every seconds or so telling me that a virus has been detected and deleted on my removable drive It s called INF Slenfbot GT and it s on my Autorun inf file on my drive Need help please I posted on another forum and they told me to come here with a HijackThis Help have virus INF/Slenfbot.GT on removable drives, CA pops up every 10 secs log so here it is Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files CA SharedComponents HIPSEngine UmxCfg exe C Program Files CA SharedComponents HIPSEngine UmxFwHlp exe C Program Files CA SharedComponents HIPSEngine UmxPol exe C Help have virus INF/Slenfbot.GT on removable drives, CA pops up every 10 secs Program Files CA SharedComponents HIPSEngine UmxAgent exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Virus ISafe exe C Program Files CA SharedComponents PPRT bin ITMRTSVC exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files New Boundary PrismXL PRISMXL SYS C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Virus VetMsg exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Personal Firewall capfsem exe C Program Files TortoiseSVN bin TSVNCache exe C Program Files Digital Media Reader shwiconem exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite cctray cctray exe C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Spam QSP- QOELoader exe C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Virus CAVRID exe C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Personal Firewall capfasem exe C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite ccprovsp exe C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Spyware CAPPActiveProtection exe C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Spyware PPCtlPriv exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Windows Live Contacts wlcomm exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Documents and Settings Owner Desktop ROMs Hacker Programs and Hacks XSE exe C Program Files OpenOffice org program swriter exe C Program Files OpenOffice org program soffice exe C Program Files OpenOffice org program soffice bin C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite casecuritycenter exe C Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Virus caavGUIScan exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www emachines com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www emachines com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersio... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-have-virus-inf-slenfbot-gt-on-removable-drives-ca-pops-up-every-10-secs.860367/
Relevancy 56.33%

on my Windows 7 HP Pavilion a1423w computer, when I go into "My Computer" 7 removable disk drives show up and they display like hidden files display. if I right click on any of those drives, it ONLY brings up properties for the whole computer.

I Googled "several hidden removable disk drives" but NOTHING came up and Google DOESN'T recognize the search!!! how do I get these "ghost drives" to go away???

A:7 hidden removable disk drives show up in my computer

See the info here Drives - Hide or Show Empty Drives in Computer Folder - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/7-hidden-removable-disk-drives-show-up-in-my-computer-961713.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I've just bought a Samsung SATA DVD drive, model SH-S223L/RSMN. It appears in Device Manager as TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223L ATA Device. Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.

It seems to be working fine, but in Windows Explorer (Tiles, Group by Type) it appears in the Hard Disk Drives group, and not under Removable Storage.

The only change I have made since installing it is to add an UpperFilters entry to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} to make iTunes start without complaining. I don't think this is related.

Any ideas how to get it back in the right group?

A:DVD in Hard Disk Drives group, not Removable Storage

I would check your bios settings. What's the port it's plugged into designated as?

James

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/141944-dvd-hard-disk-drives-group-not-removable-storage.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Last week I started getting blank pop-up from financial shopping websites that started with cj dotomi com I tried to disinfect drives removable from c virus drive cj.dotomi.com Removing all & myself using spybot malwarebytes spyhunter bought and ccleaner bought I still couldn't get rid of it so I took my computer to GeekSquad Before I did so Removing cj.dotomi.com virus from c drive & all removable drives I saved to hard drives as back up my Firefox bookmarks all my documents all my pictures and all my mp 's and wave files GeekSquad was unable to clean and ended up doing to full system restore Once they did the full system restore I was able to get to sites fine without cj dotomi com virus appearing again However once I returned home I did the following to my computer which seems to have added cj dotomi com back The change that was made between when system restore point produced no virus and when I saw it was I downloaded and installed Firefox Opera browser and Chrome browsers and re-installed all the disinfectant mentioned above I downloaded f lux I imported Firefox bookmarks from one of my back-up hard drives I opened and made some changes to excel spreadsheets that were in my back-up hard drive I did not move them to C drive I re-set all my homepages for all the browsers to various sites I go to -- Yahoo email Google email AOL email Yahoo news KBPS org wsj com dramafever com and youtube com I think the problem must reside with the back-up files in the hard drive and I have suspicion that it's residing in Firefox bookmark file which was saved as html document I use Kaspersky which did not catch this I would very much appreciate if you could help me in removing the virus from my re-infected C drive AND all my removable drives currently attached to my computer Thank you DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer Run by Haeji at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV Kaspersky Internet Security Enabled Updated E - D-D E- - E SP Kaspersky Internet Security Enabled Updated ACF C- -DEC - FF - EF B SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Spybot - Search and Destroy Enabled Updated BC DF - CCA- D-A -C CA F A B FW Kaspersky Internet Security Enabled FA F CD- D -D - E C- ADD FFD Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C PROGRA ENIGMA SPYHUN SH SER EXE C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows system atiesrxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k GPSvcGroup C Windows system atieclxx exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files x Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security avp exe C Program Files x Launch Manager dsiwmis exe C Program Files Acer Acer ePower Management ePowerSvc exe C Program Files x Acer Registration GREGsvc exe C Program Files x NTI Acer Backup Manager IScheduleSvc exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Acer Acer ePower Management ePowerTray exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVBg exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Users Haeji AppData Local FluxSoftware Flux flux exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files x Acer clear fi MVP clear fiAgent exe C Program Files x Acer clear fi MVP Kernel DMR DMREngine exe C Program Files CCleaner CCleaner exe C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Rapid Storage Technology IAStorIcon exe C Program Files x Launch Manager LManager exe C Program Files x Launch Manager MMDx Fx exe C Program Files x Launch Manager LMworker exe C Program Files x EgisTec M... Read more

A:Removing cj.dotomi.com virus from c drive & all removable drives

Good evening.

Have you run System Restore back to a point where your system wasn't messed up?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536246/removing-cjdotomicom-virus-from-c-drive-all-removable-drives/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi.For the past few days various folders have been appearing on any removable media that I plug into my main laptop.On other computers/devices I can see folders like "women73321","womengomed" and an autorun.inf pointing to "womengomed/bionce.exe".On my laptop they are all hidden even when I have "show hidden files and folders" turned on.The Internet on the laptop (56K TelstraClear NZ dial-up connection) also slows down noticeably and disconnects randomly. Also,The "bionce.exe" file has not been uploaded to VirusTotal before.I uploaded it as "bionce-not-for-execution.obsc" and here are the results.The Laptop is running Windows Vista SP1 32-bit and the make&model is a Compaq presario CQ60.

A:hidden folders appearing on removable drives/sd cards

Hello your Virustotal link is broken,do you still have the link?Please run this also.Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen:Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.Exit MBAM when done.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/368911/hidden-folders-appearing-on-removable-drivessd-cards/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi
I want to Categorize Hard disc drivers and removable devices in my computer.
Please see the attachment

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56172-how-categorize-hard-disc-drives-removable-devices.html
Relevancy 56.33%

My girlfriend's computer displays Removable Drives G:, H:, I:, J:, K:. There are no removable drives on this system except when we download pictures from the digital camera. Then we get an additional Removable Drive L:. Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks
Minniecat

A:Windows Explorer Displays Non-existent Removable Drives

Does either the PC or the printer have a card reader? If so, that's your removable drives.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-displays-non-existent-removable-drives.553952/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have recently been bereft of the ability to write to standard CD/DVD drive or BluRay drive with any type of blank disc. I always use windows drag-and-drop. All automatic updates are installed.
Every system tool test or troubleshooter says that the two devices are working properly.They can play pre-recorded material but I simply cannot get them to recognise blank media. Any suggestions/recommendations?

V1cer0y

A:Both my removable media drives can no longer recognise blank CD/DVD

Hi VicerOy and welcome to the Forum.
Sounds like your burn software might be at fault, download and install the very good (and free) BurnAware program from here and try that:
Free Burning Software | Disc Copying Software - BurnAware

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/241387-both-my-removable-media-drives-can-no-longer-recognise-blank-cd-dvd.html
Relevancy 55.47%

First off.... im running XP SP3 and have no other problems that i know of. Can't find any viruses when i scan with AVG. This just randomly happened.

Every time i plug in a removable device (USB stick, external HDD, etc) i get the autoplay dialogue box but when i click open folder to view files nothing happens. If i go to My Computer the device shows up as an empty folder instead of a drive...

If i double click the icon the loading timer shows but then does nothing. I can only access the files by right-clicking and clicking 'explore'. Everything looks fine in the disk manager.

Im confused, im usually pretty good with computers but this has me baffled, anyone seen anything like this and know what to do?

Thanks in advance

A:Solved: Strange problem with not being able to open removable drives. Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-strange-problem-with-not-being-able-to-open-removable-drives-any-ideas.781534/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have an as shows four drives removable disk eSATA drive empty up and eSATA drive that has stopped functioning properly I was trying unsuccessfully to install some completely unrelated software when I noticed that my eSATA drive was presenting differently Under My Computer it now said eSATA drive shows up empty and as four removable disk drives that the drive was empty and there were eSATA drive shows up empty and as four removable disk drives four drives that appeared that said quot Removable Disk G quot quot Removable Disk H quot quot Removable Disk I quot and quot Removable Disk J quot When I select my eSATA drive it says 'folder empty' When I select one of the removable disk drives it says quot Please insert a disk into removable disk Whenever I reboot the computer with the eSATA drive disconnected all five disk drives go away I don't remember changing any settings or anything like that Thanks One thing is odd that in device manager the eSATA drive comes up as a SCSI drive The device manager shows it as quot WDC WD EADS- M B SCSI Disk Device quot but it is actually a quot WDC WD F quot Thanks for the help Device manager report follows System Summary Item Value OS Name Microsoft Windows Home Premium Version Service Pack Build Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name HOME System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model HP Pavilion P Series System Type x -based PC Processor AMD Athlon tm II X Processor Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date American Megatrends Inc SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot quot Time Zone Central Standard Time Installed Physical Memory RAM GB Total Physical Memory GB Available Physical Memory GB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys Drives Item Value Drive C Description Local Fixed Disk Compressed No File System NTFS Size GB bytes Free Space GB bytes Volume Name OS Volume Serial Number E D E Drive D Description Local Fixed Disk Compressed No File System NTFS Size GB bytes Free Space GB bytes Volume Name HP RECOVERY Volume Serial Number AEB Drive E Description CD-ROM Disc Drive F Description Local Fixed Disk Compressed No File System NTFS Size GB bytes Free Space GB bytes Volume Name eSATA Drive Volume Serial Number B EB Drive G Description Removable Disk Drive H Description Removable Disk Drive I Description Removable Disk Drive J Description Removable Disk Disks Item Value Description Disk drive Manufacturer Standard disk drives Model WDC WD EADS- M B SCSI Disk Device Bytes Sector Media Loaded Yes Media Type Fixed hard disk Partitions SCSI Bus SCSI Logical Unit SCSI Port SCSI Target ID Sectors Track Size GB bytes Total Cylinders Total Sectors Total Tracks Tracks Cylinder Partition Disk Partition Partition Size MB bytes Partition Starting Offset bytes Partition Disk Partition Partition Size GB bytes Partition Starting Offset bytes Partition Disk Partition Partition Size GB bytes Partition Starting Offset bytes Description Disk drive Manufacturer Standard disk drives Model WDC WD AVJS- TRA SCSI Disk Device Bytes Sector Media Loaded Yes Media Type Fixed hard disk Partitions SCSI Bus SCSI Logical Unit SCSI Port SCSI Target ID Sectors Track Size GB bytes Total Cylinders Total Sectors Total Tracks Tracks Cylinder Partition Disk Partition Partition Size GB bytes Partition Starting Offset bytes Description Disk drive Manufacturer Standard disk drives Model Generic- Compact Flash USB Device Bytes Sector Not Available Media Loaded Yes Media Type Not Available Partitions SCSI Bus Not Available SCSI Logical Unit Not Available SCSI Port Not Available SCSI Target ID Not Available Sectors Track Not Available Size Not Available Total Cylinders Not Available Total Sectors Not Available Total Tracks Not Available Tracks Cylinder Not Available Description Disk drive Manufa... Read more

A:eSATA drive shows up empty and as four removable disk drives

How many eSATA ports does your motherboard have? Will that external enclosure actually hold 4 drives? If it required drivers to be installed to work, I would re-install them. If it's still under warranty you may want to return it. If it's not under warranty can you open it without breaking it to have a look inside?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/211644-esata-drive-shows-up-empty-four-removable-disk-drives.html
Relevancy 55.47%

How do I set up a remote desktop with my xp pro computer? I heard ultimate can do that, some directions would be nice.

also, how do I do the 4 virtual desktops with vista ultimate like beryl in ubuntu, I heard ultimate had an official program for it that wasn't third party that did it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-heard-i-can-do-virtual-desktops-and-remote-desktops-on-vista-ultimate-how-do-i.610417/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a new Acer AL1714 flat monitor. It works fine most of the time, but occasionally when switching from one user desktop to another in WindowsXP I get a bouncing grey box that says "Input Not Supported". At that point it seems there is nothing to do but reboot. It is frustrating!

Any suggestions are appreciated.
-thanks

A:Acer Monitor "Input Not Supported" after changing desktops in WinXP

check the refresh rates in the desktop with the problem in safe mode

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/acer-monitor-input-not-supported-after-changing-desktops-in-winxp.366123/
Relevancy 53.32%

I beg pardons for all forumers here if I post in the wrong Subforum amp also for my bad english cuz it is not my native language D I have dell inspiron n notebook runs win home premium with SP it can't detect dell devices my removable install n4010 can't any removable device I connected also my internal card reader if put a memory card to my card reader than nothing happen at my dell n4010 can't install removable devices first I though it maybe my internal card reader failed than my dell n4010 can't install removable devices I try to use external card reader attached to USB port than I found another problem it detected but when my win cannot detect the driver I used this this external card reader before n it works fine than I tried to attach a mobile phone that have a mass storage function it happens again it detected but the driver not found I'd attached this mobile before n it also works fine afterthat I tried a flashdrive it also had same problem like above - win supposed to detect any generic device isn't it - those devices above work fine before but somehow now it cannot recognized - it's only happen for removable devices cuz when I tried to attach keyboards and mouse the usb port work perfectly I should say sorry again for my bad spelling n thank for the patient to read all those bad spellin' and more thanks if any of you can help me solve this problem

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-dell-n4010-cant-install-removable-devices-619122.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Two drives on system 265GB Samsung on motherboard and 1TB drive internal bay.
Dell installed OS on drive 0 (C) 1TB (slower drive) and the SSD drive(fastest) drive 1 (E) blank empty.
Make no sense to me.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19983898
Relevancy 50.74%

I own a Dell XPS 8900 desktop computer purchased in late 2015. It came pre-installed with Windows 10 Home. Just this past week, using a legitimate  product key, I upgraded the OS to Windows 10 Pro.
However, I later realized (by way of some quick internet research) that whatever product key was used to activate the Windows 10 Home system that came with the host was actually injected into the motherboard. I did not obtain this information before upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.
My question is this...If for some reason I wanted to go back to Windows 10 Home (by re-installing it from scratch or using some kind of downgrading process), would I need to know what that original product key was or would my instance of Windows 10 be automatically activated due to the built in key in the motherboard?
Note: I tried to use a special utility to extract this key but I wasn't successful. 

A:Dell Desktops, Microsoft Windows OS product keys and Windows 10 Home

MCFARI,
You would have no problem activating Windows 10 home if you decided to go back to that OS. The key code is still embedded in the motherboard. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19986125
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi Folks,

I have created an encrypted drive (X) on my system (Windows 7 - 64 bit) and wish to store my emails there. I did this successfully in Vista.

To do this I need to change X:/ from a Removable Disk to a Local Disk, please can somebody explain to me how and wehre to do this?
OS Name: Windows 7 Home Premium
Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 build 7601
System Type: x64-based PC

A:Changing a Removable Disk to Local Disk?

All of my drives, internal\external\flash all show as local in the drives property page, what does the drive property of X say ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/220572-changing-removable-disk-local-disk.html
Relevancy 49.02%

My daughter sent a computer for my grandson to have, it has 3 drives on it, C D and E. D is the backup drive, and E is a installed drive. Everything is going into the C drive which is going to run out of space soon while the E drive has 43 gigs on it. How do you make the computer put everything that I install on the E drive. Everything so far is going to the C drive. I am using Windows XP on a laptop. There was no indication when I installed a few things as to what drive I want it sent to. Any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 49.02%

My Pc is set up as follows - drives D to H are card slots etc , drive I is DVD player , drive J is DVD RW , is it possible to change drive letters so that J becomes D & I becomes E .
Thanks .

Relevancy 49.02%

Can anyone tell me how come I can't change drives in DOS. I know it should be a simple matter of typing in the drive I want, d: , but it keeps saying not a valid something or other. Any help

Relevancy 49.02%

My mom has a Dell Dimension 3000. She's giving it to me and just using her laptop. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 that I would like to give to my brother-in-law. Only problem is that the 3000 doesn't have a dvd burner and the 4600 does. And I need the dvd burner. Is it possible to just switch the cd/cdrw and dvd/dvdrw drives between the computers? The 3000 has almost double the hard drive space that the 4600 does that's why I want to switch. They both have XP and 512 RAM. The 4600 is about 4 years old (and has had problems since I bought the stupid thing) and the 3000 is about 2 or 3 years old.

Relevancy 49.02%

I have a new PCMCIA HD that shows up as a removable drive, with serious delays in reading and writing. My other PCMCIA HD, and my USB drives all show up as LOCAL DRIVES rather than as REMOVABLE drives. How can I reset the new drive so that it will register as a LOCAL DRIVE and not as a removable drive? Reformatting didn't help. And I couldn't change things with Computer Management...
Suggestions?

It looks as if the new drive, unlike the others, does NOT have an MBR partition. Could this be the problem? How can I change the partition? Will fdisk do the trick?

A:resetting removable drive as basic rather than removable

MBR is not the problem, thats Master Boot Record, you have absolutely no reason for that on a hard drive that isn't booting an OS.

Make sure the drive is in DMA mode rather than PIO.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/resetting-removable-drive-as-basic-rather-than-removable.64866/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi I m new here am hoping to learn lots I just bought a newer thinkpad because my old one has a hard drive amp power source quot going quot and the tech said it wouldn t be worth it to fix Well I Drives? Changing Hard ve been looking at buying a new hard drive for my new thinkpad as its only GB the old one was GB It is much slower GRRR My thought is to Changing Hard Drives? buy a larger Changing Hard Drives? hard drive laptop size and switch the hard drive out of the new one put the good GB in the old thinkpad amp fix power source resell Anyway I also would like to put a larger hard drive into my desk-top What do I need to know about this Are there certain compatibility issues Things to look for To avoid Is it much MORE difficult then it sounds Or is this something you can learn by research I have added memory to my desk-top and taken it apart for cleaning Looking forward to finding out what you can tell me Thanks DebbyR nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

I have a computer that the HD is starting to go bad. I am going down and buying a new hard drive but I need to know how can I pull everything off my old HD and put it on my new HD. Is there a simple way?

Relevancy 48.59%

I was running windows on an IDE hard drive and bought a new SATA and installed a fresh copy of windows on it, now having a dual boot with the old installation on the IDE. I've been running on the SATA drive for a few months now and I want to remove the IDE drive from my system but when I disconnect it and reboot I get a message that tells me NTLDR is missing so I am assuming that the boot record is on the IDE drive. How can I make the SATA drive my main boot drive?

A:Changing boot drives

You may have some problems even after fix,unless you were getting your second install to recognize itself as C like the first install.

Use this guide and see what happens.
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/483/xp_repair_fix_master_boot_record_recovery_console/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-boot-drives.858367/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a HP PC computer with a SATA c: drive with Windows xp and I'd like to change that drive out with an old larger existing hard drive which also has Windows xp. Can I do this without damaging anything?

Relevancy 48.59%

So I installed a second Hard drive this weekend. And I want to create a new partition on the new hard drive, which will hold my boot files. So I want a partition of my second hard drive to be my main boot device. (Like 20gb)

Then I?m going to combine my first hard drive, and the remaining space left into 1 partition.

My Local disk has my Boot, Page file, and Crash dump. I want to move this to my new partition. (Second HD)

I tried moving the entire windows file in my local disk to the second hard drive, half way through it wouldn?t allow me to move all of the files.

How do I do this without re-installing windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-boot-drives.200248/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi, I have a desktop computer which just blew up and was using xp professional. I have aquired another desktop computer which is using xp home . I am trying to switch the hard drive from the old computer into the latest computer. I have transferred the hard drive to the latest computer but cannot get it to boot up. It tries to start but just goes rounds in circles. Any ideas how to rectify ?

A:changing hard drives

You cannot simply transfer a hard drive between computers, it would be much easier to acquire a Windows XP Pro CD and re-install it using the original COA on the machine you are putting it in.

It also is not technically legal either. The installation of Windows on a specific computer that uses the COA sticker on it is meant for that specific machine and is not supposed to be transferred.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drives.1057470/
Relevancy 48.59%

Basically my problem is that when i installed windows 7 i installed it onto a 150gb hard drive. I soon realised that this was not large enough for my needs and was begining to run incredibly slowly. So i decided to upgrade to a Seagate Barracuda 1TB hard disk. I wanted to copy all of my file over to the new disk and keep the OS, i was told that cloning was the easiest way to do it, so i cloned my old disk. However, when i took out my old disk and booted up the computer i got the error message "NTDLR is missing". Please Help me

A:Changing Hard Drives

During the BIOS post splash screen, tap F8. This will bring you to the system recovery environment. Choose "Repair Your Computer".

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/106682-changing-hard-drives.html