Windows Support Forum

Changing from a cached drive to an SSD and a platter drive

Q: Changing from a cached drive to an SSD and a platter drive

Greetings I have posted repeatedly over in the BSOD area on an issue I am having That s not why I am here I am thinking on going from a cached drive that I have now to a cached and a platter to drive SSD Changing a drive from an separate SSD and a platter drive Let me explain I currently have a gig SSD and Changing from a cached drive to an SSD and a platter drive a Terrabyte Corsair HDD I Changing from a cached drive to an SSD and a platter drive use the gig as a cache drive using Intels SRT I have no proof but I am leaning towards my little ssd as the cause of why I am having issues With that said bear with with me I wanted to get a new SSD and install Windows on it and or of my games on it and use the Terrabyte obviously for storage and non essential programs I currently have Win Pro on my Terrabyte drive Can I pull both drives out After decelerating it of course And put in a new Corsair Force SSD say gigs install windows my games and than reconnect the HDD which has windows on it All that text just for a simple question Also can I remove the Windows Folder or uninstall Windows on the Terrabyte drive or should I just leave it Thanks much nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Changing from a cached drive to an SSD and a platter drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Changing from a cached drive to an SSD and a platter drive

Best way - pull the data from the drives, then format them. Put data back on.

But, yeah, your suggestion should work too. Just watch out for the duplicate MBR entries upon boot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-from-a-cached-drive-to-an-ssd-and-a-platter-drive.195477/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have a 10MB IBM Hard Drive Platter for sale.

Ebay link removed by AcaCandy.

Relevancy 81.27%

Hey guys the circuit board on my hard drive got fried. I swapped circuit boards now the hard drive gets power but making clanky noise. I was just wondering if anybody knows a way I could swap hard drive platters myself without paying a company $1,000?

A:Hard drive platter swap

It's not a big job, but if the info on it is that important, grab an obsolete HDD and rip it apart to get the just of it. The key thing is you need to be extremely careful, that's why it's an expensive job, for the liability. Personally that's what I would do (and what I have done) if I didn't know how it worked.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-platter-swap.135166/
Relevancy 79.55%

I am trying a last ditch effort to swap over ONE platter from identical 2.5 inch 40 GB Toshiba Drives due to drive failure of one of them. Dissasembly of the drive itself not a problem, but i cannot get the center screw holding the platter to the spindle to loosten. I am afraid i am going to strip the torx head screw if I go any farther. Any ideas?
P.S., I already know this is a risky at best proceedure. I just have to know if this last thing, swapping the platter, will work.

A:Trouble removing 2.5 inch Hard drive platter

I doubt that even if you get the platter removed that the drive is going to work, but good luck anyway.

On the center platter screw the drive manufacturer most like used a compound such as Lock-Tite on the screw. The only thing I could tell you to try is to take a heat gun and heat the screw to see if heat will loosen the locking compound.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-removing-2-5-inch-hard-drive-platter.722634/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have Vista Home Premium with two GB internal hard can't after internal boot drive hard second changing to drive letter drives copy amp E I am trying to put Vista on drive E and upgrade to Windows on drive C I had successfully cloned the can't boot to second internal hard drive after changing drive letter drive C of Vista onto an external hard drive and copied it to drive E the second internal hard drive When I copied the cloned copy of Vista to drive E the system changed the drive letter to L Everything was working fine and I could boot into either C or L In a fit of neatness I guess I decided that I would like to have the newly labeled drive L designated as drive E again and changed it to drive E in Disk Management while I was booted into drive C Now I am unable to boot into the second internal drive I just get a blank screen I can get Task Manager but nothing else not even the Start icon I booted back into C and changed the drive back to L but that didn't work either I tried to boot the second internal drive in Safe Mode but just got a blank screen without the start icon I tried restoring to a previous date but that wouldn't work and it only restores C anyway When I'm booted in drive C it shows the second internal drive L and shows all the files and programs that should be on drive L How do I get the drive restored so I can boot into it Thanks to anyone that can help

A:can't boot to second internal hard drive after changing drive letter

I don't know if this helps, but is drive L still marked as an "active" partition in disk management?  When you right click the partition the option should be there to do so if it is not marked as such. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576064/cant-boot-to-second-internal-hard-drive-after-changing-drive-letter/
Relevancy 66.65%

I think this is a generic UEFI Win question not dependent on model However FWIW I have a Satellite P -A D upgrade SSD changing of drive Satellite drive after 2nd P70-A01D: letters bought localy here in Australia Satellite P70-A01D: changing drive letters after upgrade of 2nd SSD drive This is a inch Gen i MQ Intel HM GB RAM Win -bit http www mytoshiba com au products computers satellite p psplpa- d specifications I have updated the OS to Win This Satellite P70-A01D: changing drive letters after upgrade of 2nd SSD drive P comes with an empty HDD bay - so I have purchased a GB Samsung EVO SSD which I wish to use as the primary Win boot system drive I installed this SSD into bay and from there I had no trouble in using the Samsun Magician cloning software that came with the SSD V DC to clone my TB system over on to the SSD There are lots of instructions from Samsun and all over the web as to how to clone and 'substitute' an HDD with an SSD - however there is much less available when it comes to 'adding' the SSD - in bay - whilst still keeping the original HDD fully functioning as an extra drive After running the cloning software I tried just going into the UEFI settings on restart and changing the order of the boot drive placing the SSD above the HDD This worked however there were obviously issues still as I hadn't renamed the drives so SSD was running as system but it was mounting as D and HDD was still C and most system application paths were still set to access C It led to crash and reboot cycles of the desktop amp or explorer exe and two consistent error messages - quot SkyDrive Sync Engine Host has stopped working quot - quot Host Process for Setting Synchronization has stopped working quot I have seen in Control Panel gt Administrative Tools gt Computer Management gt Storage gt Disk Management gt right-click on each disk that I can access lt lt Change Drive Letter and Paths gt gt however a I'm unsure if the solution I need is this simple b nervous about changing letter on a disk while it is running the system and C unsure of steps in order of changing ie C non-sys becomes M then D sys becomes C At the moment via UEFI I'm back to running the system on the HDD rather than on the SSD seems stable and uncompromised from my screwing around Apologies for long post trying to make sure I include all relevant information I think my eventual goal is to be dual bootable Win Ubuntu from the SSD probably with Ubuntu on a GB partition leaving GB enough I want to keep a slab of SSD space free for photo and video editing - GB I've wondered about just assigning new letters to the drives however the notes at the bottom of http windows microsoft com en-au windows change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter specifically state You can't change a drive letter if the drive is either a system partition or a boot partition Suggestions please

A:Satellite P70-A01D: changing drive letters after upgrade of 2nd SSD drive

Hi

I think you could try to change the drives letter as suggested in the Microsoft article.
In case this will not be possible, try to use a 3rd party software for example like GParted.
http://gparted.org/liveusb.php

You could boot up the unit using the live USB version and could try to change the drive letters.
But it could be possible that your system would not boot up properly after such change.

Therefore you should not forget to mark the partition as bootable.

Feedback would be appreciated

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?74268-Satellite-P70-A01D-changing-drive-letters-after-upgrade-of-2nd-SSD-drive
Relevancy 66.22%

I have Windows XP installed as the master drive (hda) and Mandriva 10.2 Linux on the slave drive (hdb). I want to physically remove the WinXP hard drive from my computer and make Linux the only drive. I boot up the computer using LILO, which is installed on hda. So how do I do all of this without messing up the bootloader settings?

A:Changing Linux on Slave Drive to Master Drive

First, save the existing /etc/lilo.conf; cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.0901705.conf

Second, read manpage re mkbootdisk. you may need this to recover the as-is configuration

Third, I found it a lot safer to work out my LILO configuration using a floppy boot disk rather than my hard disk. To do this, you must replace the boot=/dev/hda with boot=/dev/fd0 in the lilo.conf file. That way, if I messed up any of the configuration in my lilo.conf file, I could take out the boot disk and boot into Linux as before. Once I was happy everything booted fine using the floppy disk, I then changed my lilo.conf back to use boot=/dev/hda and ran /sbin/lilo a final time to upload my changes.

man 8 lilo explains the program options
man 5 lilo.conf explains each line in the conf file

before you make changes, issue the following as documentation
...mount
later, this command will show /dev/hda? on / type ext2 (r/w)
when you're successful

Your existing LILO config should be at /etc/lilo.conf and will contain
items like:
boot = /dev/hdb? (first HD, some partition number suffix)
... bunch of stuff best left alone
image = ... whatever it says
.label = ... your lilo prompt at boot time
.root = ... /dev/hdb? (note it matches line 1)
other = /dev/hda1 (first HD, 1 partition)
.label = WinXP (the lilo prompt for XP)
.table = /dev/hda

delete the lines from OTHER to the bottom,
change hdb? to hda? (ie the same partition number, just different drive)
save the modification to disk

create the LILO floppy: try the -t option to see what it would do before doing it,
and use boot= /dev/fd0 until you're pleased with the result.

power down and move the 2hd to the end of the cable (cable select)
and set as master if needed. the first hd can be used later via /etc/fstab

insert the floppy and boot from it (you may need to change BIOS)

if all is well, you will see your full system running and the command mount
will verify the results.
Now you can change the boot= /dev/fd0 back to boot= /dev/hda?
and do the update for real.

booting from the HD should be safe and give you what you want.

ISSUE: /etc/fstab lines containing HDxy will need adjusting
If you have several MOUNTABLE devices, this table may interfer with your
results.
Until booting the HD works, rename this file with the 'mv' command.

Moving the cable connector will swap hda and hdb notations.
When you recable the original HD, you have two options:
use the space as DOS FAT or reformat as Linux ext{2,3}
If you reformat the original, then all hda entries can be deleted.
Any hdb entries in the saved fstab file need to become hda

Modifications to /etc/fstab can be utilized immediately via
login as root or the su command

The new hdb will need a mount-point, so cd /
mkdir /originalHD
and then you can mount eg 'mount /dev/hdb /originalHD'
Another typical location for mounts is /var/mnt/xxx

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-linux-on-slave-drive-to-master-drive.33328/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello,

I recently purchased a new motherboard. After reinstalling windows, I noticed that my primary partition is also on my Storage Drive. Is there a way to change it back to only the SSD?

A:Changing Primary Partion from Storage Drive to OS Drive

I'm not sure what you mean by that - are you saying there's a copy of your system on the storage drive?

Everything in your screenshot looks perfect and absolutely the way it should be. There's no problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/191278-changing-primary-partion-storage-drive-os-drive.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Is it possible and feasible to change the hard drive to a solid state drive on a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-1FK laptop.If the answer is affirmative then would appreciate as much information and guidance there is available.

A:Changing hard drive to solid state drive

I took a quick look at the specs and don't see why you couldn't. That laptop is maybe 3 or 4 years old?

What you would have to decide is if you want to attempt to transfer Windows from the current hard drive to the SSD or instead do a clean install on the SSD. Cloning/imaging can work and save time, but many would tell you to just do a clean install instead.

Good SSD brands: Intel, Crucial M4 series, Samsung 830 series.

I assume this Toshiba has only a single drive bay?

Do you have an external hard drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234578-changing-hard-drive-solid-state-drive.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hey Guys Heres the issue I recently did an install of XP home on a new HDD for a customer after their drive went dead Not realizing the install mapped the boot drive to F instead of C Customer called up complaining that he could not install programs etc I wanted to go back and change the drive letters through the registry but after doing some reading found that changing the system drive letter after install will make windows act screwey sometimes not even allowing a boot I personally can Drive Boot Drive Letter on Changing Assignment live with a diff drive letter but the customer seems to not be able to I have read one or two posts about using XXclone to clone the system drive to a new partition mapped to C then deleting the F partition As i have never used this program or method i am a bit skeptical and or lost at the same time What do you guys suggest as the best method to change this drive letter and not disrupt Changing Drive Letter Assignment on Boot Drive the operations of the system Thanks in advance for the help

A:Changing Drive Letter Assignment on Boot Drive

You could try the method given here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188But I can't guarantee it will work.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176076/changing-drive-letter-assignment-on-boot-drive/
Relevancy 66.22%

Is there any way at all of changing the drive letter of the main hard drive - which is obviously in use? Have got it set at 'I' by accident and want to return it to 'C' drive. I know about changing other drive letters and have done so easily enough but am stuck with this one. Is it forever???

A:Changing drive letter of main hard drive

Hello silver2142

You can change the drive letter of anything except the system partition.
Unfortunately, the only real way to change the system partition letter is to wipe and reinstall.

XP won`t mind being installed on "I". It is just an inconvenience to you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-drive-letter-of-main-hard-drive-394786.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello All

We have users with WIN2K laptops who logon to the laptop using the cached logon credentials (username, password & domain). and then connecting via VPN to the network. Thus allowing them access to mail, resources, etc without having to re-enter authentication details over & over.

But we also force users to change passwords on a set period of time. But to change the passwords their password will require physical connection to the network, which they do not have.

Is there any way for a user who does not have immediate access to the network to change the cached logon credentials on the laptop to match with with changes made to their account by admin staff?

Any help much appreciated.

A:Changing cached logon credentials

We ran into that same issue where I worked, so I am interested to see if someone here has an answer to your question. Our main issue though was how long the cached account would last on the PC (would it expire after say, 120 days, or would it be useable forever?) if it was never to be physically connected to the network.

We ended up not registering the latops to our domain and not linking the userid to the domain in order to avoid the problem. For the most part, we were able to setup most of the login prompts that users would get when trying to access a network resource via VPN (such as email) to have pre-filled fields (such as domain and userid) and the users would only need to enter in their network password.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-cached-logon-credentials.100164/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi Yesterday I tried to install Drive Master Slave Drive To Changing a new C drive because mine was running slow The idea was to install a new C drive without much on it and use my old C drive which was pretty full as a secondary slave Changing Master Drive To Slave Drive drive deleting Windows of it and just keeping my files I installed Windows on the new drive OK but when I started up with my old C drive attached as a slave drive I was told there was an error with it and it needed to run chkdsk I let it do that and it proceeded to delete almost all Changing Master Drive To Slave Drive my files from my old C drive I ve now restored from my backup which I made a week ago meaning I ve only lost a week s work so it s not too bad Does anyone know if it s possible to do what I was trying to do and if so how to go about it Thanks Joe

A:Changing Master Drive To Slave Drive

There is a reason why your old drive was running slow. Did you ever figure out why, or what was wrong with it? Perhaps the drive itself is going bad.Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out: Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/49398/changing-master-drive-to-slave-drive/
Relevancy 58.91%

sir,

i have windows 7 desktop. there are some partition on it.but there is problem with these partition. All the three partition have the same drive letter.i attach a link showing the picture. all three partitions are dynamic , simple. if i open these drives only the contents of one drive are appeared. another two drive data are not shown in any manner.

i don't want to lose any data from any drive ......
please help me sir...
my windows is installed in c:\ drive which is also dynamic and there are no recent changes.only one change i did which is i shrink dynamic volume 50 GB from 206 GB and again mixed with 206 GB without allocating free space.

and only the c drive is on and d drive is off.but in my other desktop same configuration exist.
please help me...and please don't say change and remove drive letter...........waiting for response

A:changing one drive letter all 3 partitions change to that drive letter

First thing you're going to do is fill in the specs of the desktop whose snips you are showing us.

Then you're going to do the same with the second pc opening a second post with snips. Give it a different title like "Second pc with drive letters the same". Don't forget the snips.

You should not have dynamic disks in either machine. What did you do to accomplish this?

There exists a bevy of spectacular experts on this site that will be happy to help you. But give us ALL the info please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281527-changing-one-drive-letter-all-3-partitions-change-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi I didn't see this exact problem in previous threads so I'm asking for help with it I recently mistakenly put a DVD-RW disc in my computer's E Drive It was the first time I ever used a DVD-RW and I bought a box of them by mistake thinking they were CD-RW discs I wanted to save money that day so I thought I'd get from to CD-RW Changing Drive E DVD-RW the discs rather than Changing E Drive from DVD-RW to CD-RW a USB stick Changing E Drive from DVD-RW to CD-RW Now when I go Changing E Drive from DVD-RW to CD-RW to Computer gt E Drive gt Properties gt Recording I have some options but see no way to make the E Drive have CD-RW as the default rather than DVD-RW I checked all the other tabs in E Drive gt Properties as well but can see no way to do it This is a problem because I just tried to format a CD-RW disc and it went through the process only to open a window at the end saying the disc was unable to be formatted I don't know if the change in E Drive from CD-RW drive to DVD-RW drive is related to the problem I had formatting the disc but I suspect it might be Can anyone tell me how to change the E Drive back to CD-RW And does anyone know if the formatting problem is definitely related to that Any help is very much appreciated I hope that if someone reads this and has a solution the explanation is geared to someone who needs it clearly explained Thanks

A:Changing E Drive from DVD-RW to CD-RW

what are you trying to do with the cd? Ive never had to format one!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/269120-changing-e-drive-dvd-rw-cd-rw.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Sorry if this is in the wrong area; I'm not sure where to post it!

I'm giving an old computer to my grandson to play with and I'm concerned that the C: drive may be on the way out. I'd like to put in a new 250GB drive for him and make it the C: drive. Is there some way to swap all the files from the present drive - it's the only one in the computer at the present time - to the new HDD so that I don't have to reinstall everything? I'd like to just transfer/copy everything and then take out the old HDD (40GB) and recycle it. The computer is running Windows XP.
Thanks for any help,
.....Gord

A:Changing C: drive

Clone the old to the new. You'll have the best luck if you connect the new drive, use one of the bootable cloners below, and then switch the drives without ever booting into Windows. Windows may assign drive letters and so on so avoid using it until the cloned drive is in place. The drive manufacturer has cloning software on their site. They have every reason to support people changing to new drives .

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

SystemRescueCD
EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
XXClone
CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
CloneZilla
Partition Saving
PCI CloneMaxx
Drive Image XML
HDClone
DriveClonerXP
Self-Image
copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)

Commercial Apps:

O&O DiskImage
Acronis True Image Home
EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
Drive Snapshot
Keriver Image
Avanquest Copy Commander
Paragon Drive Backup
NovaBackup
R-Drive Image
Norton Ghost
HDClone Pro or Enterprise
Terabyte Image for Windows
Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-c-drive.702036/
Relevancy 56.33%

The pc I m fixing up has a CD-ROM drive but it doesn t seem to work good Maybe it just needs clearning but I don t have a cleaning disk right now I have another pc with a CD-ROM I know works good I ve been thinking about changing them while I have the case off I ve been looking it up in SEARCH and it looks pretty simple The only confusing part I just read in one step-by-step directions quot A CD drive can be either a master or slave Because you re replacing an old CD changing ROM drive CD drive with a new one you should set this new drive the same way the old one is set-either as master or slace check your CD documentation to see how changing CD ROM drive the DIP switches should be set to turn changing CD ROM drive it into a maser or a slave quot It shows a little box with switches and what looks like a pen point on them apparently pushing some in some directions I m not going to use a new CD ROM but one from another pc which is working so I could check settings and see what the CD ROM is set changing CD ROM drive as If I knew how to do this I can also check the settings of the one I want to put it in too I am doing things I have never done before and want to know what I might be getting into FIRST It might just be easier to leave the CD ROM that s in there in and get a cleaning disk Thanks Carrie nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,

I recently installed an SSD, and attempted to install windows 7 on the new drive. I could only do this with my old HDD plugged in, since that's where I was installing the OS from. Now the old drive is shown as the C drive, even though the OS is installed on my SSD. If I remove my old HDD, windows wont boot, and asks for the HDD.

How can I make my PC accept just my SSD? I don't have a disk drive so a clean install like that isn't possible

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-ssd-to-c-drive.1169725/
Relevancy 56.33%

Somewhere along the line in loading Win 7 over Vista the C:drive has been designated as the D drive. When I try to change it with disk mgt. I get the error that I do not have the proper parameter. I have no problem using it as is and on the desktop it shows at C: but would prefer that I can make this change.The HD has been proportioned into 3 drives and the other two are easily changed if I wish.

A:Changing C: drive

Post a snip of your Disk Management window...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/68180-changing-c-drive.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Im trying to fix my girlfriends uncles computer and its proving a little difficult His HD recently fried up and he had to get a changing to the name C drive new one According to him he went to the store bought a new one put it in himself and XP loaded up and everything was great He told me he did not uninstall the operating system just took the old drive out put the new one in and thats all Some of the programs he wants require that the system drive be under C and I keep getting error messages about how there's not a disk in the drive and please try again blah blah Currently the drive he changing the drive name to C installed is under E It's got all the program files and such C however is reserved for the floppy disk drive he has changing the drive name to C never said I was working with updated stuff Somehow I need to figure out how to change the floppy drive to something else and make the system drive to C but I just dont know how to go about doing this Any help would be amazing Thanks

A:changing the drive name to C

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844
If you don't use the floppy then go into the Bios and disable it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-the-drive-name-to-c-373873.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I have two HDs on the first one GBs I have four partitions with XP on C and this is the boot letters. Changing drive drive then D E and finally Vista on F I have another HD a TB one which I use for storage and I have made a lot of partitions on it generally about GB each When I ran the setup for I selected a partition on the second drive which was labelled S After installed and I opened My Computer I saw that everything was messed up and was now on C I know it doesn't mean it is physically on C it is still on the same partition of the second HD where I installed it but it Changing drive letters. shows its partition as C I used Computer Management to change most of the drive letters so that they appear as they do in XP Changing drive letters. but every time I try to change the drive letter of from C to S it gives an error something about not allowed to change drive letter of system disk which has the pagefile So is it at all possible to force change the drive letters so that is shown on S and XP on C I opened C the installation and found many text files in system folders and program files which point to locations on C so if I force a change from C to S what happens to all of these - do they automatically change their paths to S or does the whole thing just go phut I had the same problem when I installed Vista but I didn't use it all that much and so I didn't do anything about it but I like and unlike Vista which everyone said was an intermediate product until the next version came out is here to stay I am ready to do another clean install if there is any way around this problem Thanks

A:Changing drive letters.

Each operating system will see the drive partition on which it resides as C: by default. I don't believe you can change this.

If you were able to change it, then yeah, everything would go phut!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/34107-changing-drive-letters.html
Relevancy 55.47%

The company who setup a computer assigned the primary hard drive with the letter F:. This is pretty annoying so I went to disk management and went to change the driver letter and tells me it cannot because it is a system or boot volume. Is there any way to get around this or am I stuck??? Thank you!!

Relevancy 55.47%

Trying to use an application that will only look at the A: drive when looking for a license. No problem when using a floppy dirve.

The license key is on a flash drive and A: is not an option when in computer management trying to change the drive letter. Only get B: and above.

Is there a way to do this: change the B: designation to A:?

Running XP SP2.

Thanks in advance

A:Changing drive letter

If you have a floppy drive, I don't believe you can assign anything to A:.

If you don't have a floppy drive, then you should be able to assign it in Disk Management.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-drive-letter-314769.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Just purchased a HP that has win XP preinstalled. This machine will be on a network
environment and the network drive is "F". The cd-rom is using the "F" drive letter.
How do I change the cd-rom to a different drive? I tried to disable it and reboot and it
will then recognize the "F" networked drive. However, when I enable the cd-rom back it
changes on reboot and cannot log in to the "F" drive on the network.
I hope I am making sense. I have been working on this for a portion of the day and I'm
probably just going rambling on.

Any help will greatly be appreciated!
ab

A:Changing drive letters for cd-rom

and I'm probably just going rambling on.Click to expand...

See what I mean!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-drive-letters-for-cd-rom.99000/
Relevancy 55.47%

Based on feedback attained here it seems as if I am going to buy a SSD to replace my current hard drive. My question now is, how do i transfer my OS and other stuff created on it to my new SSD. I assume I need to create an image of my current drive and do something along these lines:
[1]Create image of drive which now holds Win7 and sits on the C: drive.
[2] install new SSD drive
[3] Copy image from old HD to new SSD.
[4] Shut down PC.
It is here that things get fuzzy. Do I remove my old drive at this point and before the system boots up go to my BIOS and tell it where C: my boot drive now sits or......?
Oh and another thing. Will Microsoft now think I have a new PC or something? I mean would I need to re-register my win7 serial number or what-have-you?

A:Changing from hard drive to SSD what do I do about my OS

Quote: Originally Posted by pintree3

I assume I need to create an image of my current drive and do something along these lines:
[1]Create image of drive which now holds Win7 and sits on the C: drive.
[2] install new SSD drive
[3] Copy image from old HD to new SSD.
[4] Shut down PC.
It is here that things get fuzzy. Do I remove my old drive at this point and before the system boots up go to my BIOS and tell it where C: my boot drive now sits or......?
Oh and another thing. Will Microsoft now think I have a new PC or something? I mean would I need to re-register my win7 serial number or what-have-you?

It's not likely you will have to re-register. A new hard drive isn't "a new PC".

Your first decision point is "do I do a clean install or do I try to transfer/restore my existing system".

The former is less likely to be problematic, but it's up to you to decide if you want to do the latter. The latter usually works, but occasionally requires troubleshooting and problems.

I'm assuming for the following comments that you don't want to do a clean install.

You must then decide if you want to use cloning or imaging. They are different. Your list above assumes imaging is to be used.

For imaging, your steps would generally be:

1: Choose an application to do it; Macrium Reflect Free Edition is a common choice.
2: Install Macrium and make an image file of your current C partition and also of your system reserved partition, if you have one. You probably do.
3: Save those image files on some other drive, most commonly an external.
4: make a "rescue disk" within Macrium, preferably using the "WinPE" method.
5: confirm that this disc will boot your PC and that you can locate your drives and partitions.
6: Disconnect the original hard drive. Connect the SSD.
7: Boot from the rescue disk and "restore" the previously saved image files to the SSD.
8: Confirm that the SSD is bootable.
9: Reconnect your old hard drive and do what you want with it. It will no longer be C.

The image files you make aren't "copied" anywhere. They need to be "restored" to make your new drive bootable.

A screen shot of Windows Disk Management would help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330273-changing-hard-drive-ssd-what-do-i-do-about-my-os.html
Relevancy 55.47%

When I built Changing Titles Drive my most recent PC Some how the Hard disk which I partitioned got titled Drives F and G The floppy got titled A and the zip drive got titled C While the CD-RW got titled D and the DVD drive got titled E When I noticed this I thought it Changing Drive Titles was quite odd that this would have happened Though nothing catastrophic has occurred because of this Though recently I purchase some software to Changing Drive Titles update the maps in my GPS And when I went to install the software it never gave me to option to quot browse quot to which drive I wanted the software installed in Its defaulted to C drive which for such a large program doesn t have the space Somehow that s the way they designed the software Though I am curious is there a way I could change things just to get this program installed and my GPS updated Then change back so it won t effect any other existing programs nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

OMG I NEED HELP My Laptop has drives The C and the Recovery Partitoin which is E or sumthin I partitoined the C and made the partition G And like a Jackass I changed the label of G and C not the letter only the label instead of Windows C i changed it to quot EXAMPLE quot C It worked fine till i restarted my computer It says bootmgr is Changing Drive.... Boot missing So i ran Recovery and I was backing everything up wen I found the problem The C drive which had all my system files is no longer C It shows as D So there is no C only D and the empty Partition G I thought I cud choose to boot from D but I went to boot menu and all i can select is Hard Disk or CD Rom Wen I select hard disk it boots from the recovery Changing Boot Drive.... partition and opens HP Recovery How can I select which DRIVE to Boot from OH I FORGOT AFTER I PARTIONED C I MADE THE NEW PARTTION G AND I MADE IT AND quot ACTIVE DRIVE quot I THINK THAT DID SUMTHIN TOO

A:Changing Boot Drive....

Originally Posted by nuwan

OMG I NEED HELP...!!!
My Laptop has 2 drives. The C and the Recovery Partitoin which is E or sumthin. I partitoined the C and made the partition G. And like a Jackass I changed the label of G and C, not the letter, only the label. (instead of Windows C:/ i changed it to "EXAMPLE" C:/)
It worked fine till i restarted my computer..
It says bootmgr is missing. So i ran Recovery and I was backing everything up wen I found the problem. The C drive which had all my system files is no longer C, It shows as D. So there is no C, only D and the empty Partition G.
I thought I cud choose to boot from D but I went to boot menu and all i can select is Hard Disk or CD Rom. Wen I select hard disk it boots from the recovery partition and opens HP Recovery.
How can I select which DRIVE to Boot from??

OH I FORGOT... AFTER I PARTIONED C, I MADE THE NEW PARTTION G AND I MADE IT AND "ACTIVE DRIVE". I THINK THAT DID SUMTHIN TOO..

Hello nuwan;

Can you help clear up some things for me? You said your laptop has two drives? Do you mean two hard drives or two partitions on one hard drive?

In an earlier thread you were asking how to add XP to your laptop and dual boot XP and Vista, so did you get XP installed? Where is Vista now? What partition? What letter?

You might be able to get back to booting to windows if you can mark the partition with the boot code (Vista?) as active. It would help a lot if you had a third party partitioning utility to use. If you do not have one, the free Partition Wizard is very popular here at the forums. Download the iso and burn it to a CD (make sure you are making the burn bootable). You can then boot to the CD and use the utility to mark the Vista partition active (or the partition with the boot code).

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/273324-changing-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Afternoon folks Seeing as it has become quicker to actually listen to the music than burn it on my old x cdrw drive I have decided to buy a faster one I aint no expert on what goes on below the screen of a computer though I did open my case once to blow some air in it as I read this was a good thing to do and was pretty pleased with myself that I didn t manage to break anything I was wondering if cdrw a Changing drive someone could just run over this to see if I ve missed anything and advise if there are any pitfalls I haven t thought about First thing is the drive itself Asus Liteon or Sony all x or x x All about the same price all seem good Should I be going with one make or are they all much of a muchness Secondly the jumpers and slave or master Both current drives are on the secondary channel with the hard drive on the primary I am thinking I don t have to mess with that if I m just changing one for the other I will just have to make sure that the jumpers are set correctly on the back of the new drive as per the old one Is this correct Whats the audio lead for Do I use it if my old one hasn t got one installed no I haven t looked yet Does Changing a cdrw drive windows ME just recognise the drive when it s connected Or do I have to load drivers for the drive not burning software drivers for the physical drive I don t want to use any software that comes with the drive have a non bundled retail version of Nero which I love Am I right in assuming that it will just quot see quot my new drive How do I get the side of the case off Does anyone want to do it for me Whats the best computer to buy when I bugger this one up attempting this I think I m there but thought it best to check Have I missed anything out Thanks in advance for any input nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

I have an old 4gb computer with Windows XPProfessional installed on it. My son 7yrs uses it to play games etc but needs more memory.
I have been given a 20gb Maxtor hard drive (Model 2B020H1) by a friend and can find my way around the inside of the Tower unit. Is it just a matter of swapping the two drivers.
The 20 gb drive has Windows XP Home installed.
Should it have one or two of the small pin links(jumpers ?) inserted, If so which pins do I link up.
Not a computer genius and hope that you understand what I mean.

My sons computer is a Pentium 3-- 128 Ram but I may double this. 4.2gb IDE Hard drive

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I have just replaced XP with Windows I unplugged the changing letters Drive keep old system disk and put in a new one in the same place and then removed all its partitions with the Win installer and set up from scratch The system disk is always a primary master on the motherboard ATA controller Drive letters keep changing I have two USB hard drives permanently attached - a GB WD MyBook and a GB drive in an Integra case I also Drive letters keep changing have a TB internal RAID array using Drive letters keep changing motherboard NVIDIA raid SATA Finally a DVDRW occupies a third SATA port Under XP I used disk management to assign letters as follows C - ATA system drive D - GB external E - GB external F - DVDRW G - TB internal array Upon installation of Win which went rather well I used disk management to assign these drive letters However most of the time when I reboot they change such that internal drives are assigned lower letters This breaks my shortcuts and path references I have re-assigned the drive letters in the intended configuration a few times now but Win is adamant that these assignments only last until the next reboot Win 's up to date now but the problem is still there How can I make these drive letter assignments permanent so that they persist through reboots

A:Drive letters keep changing

Hello Leondz, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if changing the drive letters using OPTION TWO in the tutorial below may be able to have them stick for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/111424-drive-letters-keep-changing.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Where can you change the drive letters for your CD/DVD players in Windows XP?

In WinME you used to do it from system manager, but they seemed to have taken it out

A:Changing drive letters in XP?

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management.

In the lower window, right click on the drive and choose "Change letter and paths"
You can select it in the upper window only if it has media in it, otherwise its not there

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-drive-letters-in-xp.280109/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have an internal hdd capacity 160GB Seagate

Yesterday I partitioned it using partition magic 20GB C: 30GB F: like that

But letters d: & e: are missing but when I renamed F: to D: , it shows Local Disk (D)(F)

Do u know how to rename from Local Disk (F) to Local Disk (D)

The following drive at present

Local Disk (C) 20GB
Local Disk (F) 30GB
Local Disk (G) 30GB
Local Disk (H) 30GB
Local Disk (I) 40GB

I want to change them to
Local Disk (C) 20GB
Local Disk (D) 30GB
Local Disk (E) 30GB
Local Disk (F) 30GB
Local Disk (G) 40GB

That is it …. Just rename……hope u understand

Thanks in advance for ur replies

Relevancy 55.47%

I recently upgraded from windows 98 to XP on my PC and it worked fine. The problem I have now is a shortage of space on my C drive. The machine has 2 physical drives. The first drive is partitioned into C and E drives. The C is 2 gigs and E is 1 gig. After I purchased the machine (which came with windows 95), I added a a second physical drive which is 13 gigs. What I would like to do is make the 13 gig drive my C drive (where all of the windows stuff) is and repartition the 3 gig drive into a single partition and make it the D drive. How do I do this?

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

I recently attached a new dvd rom to my pc.

After it was detached, the drive letters on my extra HDD's have changed around.

Can anyone please explain to me how to change the drive letters back?

Thanks.

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, I have three hdd with three partitions with driver letter C: D: E:.
My C: and D: are tied together which means my D: drive used as temp drive (most of windows temp, cache, C:\users folder mklink to D:). I replicate all my data and both drives have same contents

Now my question is how I gonna change drive letter from
1. D:\ ----> E:\
2. E:\ -----> D:\ (exchange both drive letter).

I can't did this via disk management while windows in use since D: drive are locked with windows folders. I tried to change it through cmd prompt which boot from installation CD, but the drive letter seem different, and drive letter still remain as same after boot into windows.

Is there anyway to do it without reinstalling os?

A:Help on changing drive letter

Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Microsoft Windows Help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/help-on-changing-drive-letter-777682.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I recently reformated my hard drive in order to scourge away some viruses I managed to accumulate and could not remove. After the reformating, I installed windows XP and most things seem to be working just fine. The only problem is my hard drive is now labeled F:, rather than C:. At least one program I would like to use is apparently having troube with this.
How can I change my F: drive to a C: drive?
Thanks.

Relevancy 55.47%

I have installed Win 7 on a SSD on C:. My two HDD were assigned different drive letters other than what I would like. Is it safe to change the HDD drive letters in Drive Management without messing up my data? Thanks,

A:Changing Drive Letters

I suppose anything is possible, but I've never had a problem doing that.

You are backed up anyway, right?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/239245-changing-drive-letters.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello
I "reorganized" my Windows 7-64 bits PC (added some new disks, reorgabizing directories ...)
I renamed some of the disks so they are clear for me
But there is one disk I cannot change
I want to rename F: to Z:

Inside the Drive management Console, i can
- access disk F:
- select Z: as the new name letter

But whn i click to start the renaming i have an error message that says "Invalid parameter" or "Incorrect parameter" (I use a french version of Windows so the exact message is "param?tre incorrect"

Any idea where this could come from ? It seems all the disks are correctly defined and activated

Thanks for your help Have a good day

A:Changing drive letter

Post a maximized/resized screen print of Disk Management so all info is displayed using these instructions:
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

One possibility, if you have a Page File on F that might be why you can't change the drive letter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/397586-changing-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 55.47%

hello everyone

I have two external drives connected to my laptop, one is a `G` drive and the other is a`H` drive. The problem that i have is when i plug in my e-reader which comes on as an `F` drive it seems to change the letters of the external drives
which means i have to keep changing them back to their original letters.
how can i stop this happening.

regards calmat

A:drive numbers changing

When you plug in external devices, there is the consideration of the sequential order in which they are initially attached. For instance, if I have two USB drives where one appears as G and the other H, if I later reboot and install the one that previously showed as H, it may show as G.
Also, if I have 3 USB drives and always use them one at a time, they may each appear as "F" every time I use them.

However, I did an experiment where I had the Disk Management dialog (under Computer Management-->Storage) open when I attached two USB drives. In the interface, I manually selected two different drive letters for those USB drives. One mapped as "H" and the other as "I" (by default they were "F" and "G"). I ejected the drives, then plugged in the one I had designated as "I". Sure enough, it showed up as "I", not "F" as I would have expected since "F" would be the next logical drive letter.

I suggest plugging in all three of your devices, then explicitly selecting drive letters for them in the Disk Management. Hopefully by doing this, the computer will remember each device with the previously designated drive letter and avoid any unexpected reassignments.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/297739-drive-numbers-changing.html
Relevancy 55.47%

My Dell pc has two slots for hard drives. The primary drive is only 30 gigs. I insatalled a 250 gig in the second slot a while back. Even thought I try and save eveything to the secondary hard drive I'm still running out of free space on the primary drive. I would like to change the 30 gig to a 250 gig. How can I best do this without messing up eveything? Will I need to reinstall XP?

A:Changing my Primary or "C" drive

You could just reinstall XP on the larger drive, after removing the old drive. You would have to reinstall all apps and critical updates. Data files can easily be moved with no problem.

You could clone your current C: onto the larger drive, which would result in everything currently on C: (good & bad) being moved to a larger drive.

If you elect to clone, whatever is on the current larger drive...should probably be moved (temporarily). To boot properly, the old C: would have to be the first partition on the larger drive...which means that whatever is on now needs to be moved/removed.

That what I can imagine.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/246048/changing-my-primary-or-c-drive/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello I have just purchased a new blank TB hard drive Western Digital and have been using the web for instructions how to make the drive usable - partitioning and formatting etc etc I seem only to be able to get TB MBR 3TB drive GPT from hard Changing to of the disk as usable -the partitioning is broken in to Changing 3TB hard drive from MBR to GPT parts of GB and GB Having consulted the web about this problem it seems the problem is the disk is in MBR mode perhaps something i did which doesnt allow anything greater then GB when it should in fact be GPT When i view Changing 3TB hard drive from MBR to GPT the disk list in Computer Management of Windows it reads as follows Type Basic Capacity GB Unallocated Space GB Status Online Device Type USB Partition style Changing 3TB hard drive from MBR to GPT MBR If what i have been researching is correct it seems somehow I have to get the disk from MBR to GPT before i can begin the process of partitioning and formatting however i am unable to find any information on how to successfully do this Can someone please help Im not sure what other information is needed but i'm running Vista Many thanks in advance

A:Changing 3TB hard drive from MBR to GPT

I am assuming this is USB disk. Download the free Partition Wizard for home and use the MBR to GPT conversion wizard.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/convert-MBR-disk-to-GPT-disk.html

Edit: Some additional info.

User should be aware that data will be erased while converting MBR to GPT. Please refer following steps of how to use MiniTool Partition Wizard to convert MBR to GPT.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532220/changing-3tb-hard-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, I was wondering if there was any way to change my driver letters because I'd prefer having the drive with my OS on it as C instead of D.

Relevancy 55.47%

I just installed a new hard drive and it assigned in drive "F". How do I change? I have gone into Device Manager and I'm not getting it done. I m running XP Home Edition.

Thank you!

Relevancy 55.47%

Ericinoz posted in Feb 2010 the following:
I have been moving the folders My Documents, Downloads, etc off my primary disc and somehow the folders on my D drive have appeared on my desktop. Not shortcuts, they are still on the D drive. If I delete from the desktop they get deleted from the drive as well. If I try to move them from the desktop to the D drive I get told that the source is the same as the destination.

I have exactly the same problem, using the correct method (c/user/MM/fldr/location - change, etc).
None of the threads solved this problem.
If I back up a fldr elsewhere and delete it from the desktop, thus deleting it from the D drive documents fldr, and then copy it back into the same folder it reappears on the desktop (as a fldr, not a shortcut).
Can anyone suggest a solution.

A:Changing My Docs to Drive D

Hello Noodlum, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if using OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore these folders default location may be able to sort them. Afterwards, you can move them back to D if you like.

User Folders - Restore Default Location

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/305764-changing-my-docs-drive-d.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I just upgraded to a GB hard drive from a which I will use as a backup drive However to boot the D drive Changing from C when I set it up the primary boot Changing the boot drive from D to C partition got set up as D I have partitions on this drive The others were Changing the boot drive from D to C also mislabeled but I could change them with the Computer Management tool There is no C drive on this system I want to make what is now D become C The original also had Changing the boot drive from D to C partitions All I wanted to do is duplicate the old drive to the new one Somehow the boot partition became D and I can t change it from within Windows Is there a way to do that I have created the UBD for Windows using Bart s PE so I can boot the machine independently of using the hard drive If I can use that is there a tool there or a command line program I can use to change it Thanks for any help you can give Paul nbsp

A:Changing the boot drive from D to C

That would require every entry in the Registry to be also changed, not a job for the faint-hearted...

Changing it would mean that the system would not boot, in simple terms. This is also confirmed by the Microsoft Knowledge Base

Reinstalling Windows ensuring the correct drive is used, would be the simplest (probably the only) method.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-boot-drive-from-d-to-c.478110/
Relevancy 55.47%

I need to replace my CD/DVD drive because a CD exploded in it about a week ago and now it will not work. I can't burn anything. The message I'm getting is that there is no CD in the drive. ( I can only keep the tray closed if I hold it in for a few seconds, otherwise it pops right back out)

I want to replace the CD drive myself. Is this too complicated for a relative beginner? I have a DELL Dimension E520 running Windows XP. It's not much more than a year old but out of warrenty.

I have downloaded the manual from the DELL site and it looks like it will not be too difficult. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

catalogerpat

Relevancy 55.47%

When I set up my computer I partitioned my Hard Drive into three partitions. (c) 15 gb (d) 66 gb (d) 66 gb. I'm finding now that I could use more space in my c drive. Is there a way of moving 10-15 gb memory to my c drive from one of the other drives?

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi So my old computer died recently but I know I can still get all my data from that drive since the problem is not with my hard disk amp I got someone to build me up a new computer Now my problem is I wanna get my old data back I used nGear material of Changing drive an 'external' c:\ name usb to sata ide cable so Changing name of an 'external' c:\ drive my old hard disk would connect like a usb drive into my new computer But nothing appears I don t see my old drive I found half of the problem in Changing name of an 'external' c:\ drive a way My old drive s name is c so if i plug it in I know its not gonna appear since my new computer already has a drive c I don t want to go in computer management to change it s name in my current computer I dont wanna up my computer Now how do Changing name of an 'external' c:\ drive i change the name of my old drive if it doesnt even appear or does anyone know how to do this thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

I just installed Win 7, clean install, on a second HD. On the original drive C:, I have Vista, on the new drive with Win 7, drive letter K:. This is all fine if I boot Vista but when I boot Win 7 (I use F12 with Dell) the drive letters are changed. K: becomes C: and C: becomes D:. When I tried to change the drive letters back so C: becomes K:, it will not let me. I spent most of the day setting up to install Win 7 now I'm getting no where fast.

A:Win 7 changing HD drive letters

Hello Barrie,

This is normal. By default the loaded operating system will always see the drive it is installed on as C: . This cannot be changed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/110665-win-7-changing-hd-drive-letters.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I just added a 2nd hard disk to my pc, which I have partitioned, and I'm trying to make one partition the boot drive. I have assigned a letter to each partition, but I can't actually make one of them the boot drive. I'm using WinXP. What do I need to do?

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi ...

I have 2 HDD and Ive put partitions on them etc and got the operating system running....Now the drive letters for the HDD are a little out of place....

on my first HDD I have a c: e: f:

Ok and on the other HDD

I have g: and H:

How can I change theseso that they read...
c: d: e: f: g:
etc etc Thx in advance......

PS imusing XP pro

A:Changing drive letters .........?

Howdy sifter

I have Home but have a look here...

control panel/Administrative tools/Computer Management then click the + next to Storage and left click Disk Management now rightclick on one of the drive letters and look for Change drive letters and paths

see if that's what your after

buck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-drive-letters.86132/
Relevancy 55.47%

I just got a couple of new HDDs to make notebook backups (clones) on. When I first formatted each one, using a USB dock, I set the drive letter of each one to U. Everytime I change the drives, the drive letter changes itself to E. I change them back to U but they change themselves back to E the next time I put them in the dock. What is going on here and how can I keep the drive letters from changing?

A:HDD Drive Letter Keeps Changing

Set one to U and the other to V.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/254069-hdd-drive-letter-keeps-changing.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I was wondering how to go about changing my windows boot up disk letter from G to C.

A:Changing Drive Letter

The short answer: You can't. The letter is assigned when XP is installed.

In order to be sure that the drive is C:, it's best to install XP with other drives disconnected to a newly partitioned and formatted drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-drive-letter.403027/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have recently added a 40 gig drive to my machine which I want to make the bootable drive. It was partitioned into 2 drives. The original drive was a 20 gig drive also partioned into 2 drives.

Drive letters were as follows:

20 Gig = C;D
40 Gig = G;H after added.

I successfully mirrored the C drive onto the G drive, and then changed the IDE cables to make the new drive the primary IDE and the system successfully boots from there, but the drive letters remain as they were originally assigned by windows 2K. I want to flip them, that is, make the new 40 Gig C and D, and the origninal 20 Gig G; H.

The drive manager however, won't let me change the system drive letter. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,
Pradhan

Relevancy 55.47%

my old pc has an ide drive my newer pc has an aya. the aya doesnt work i tried to reboot the pc it gets 1/4way through and stops working so i put the aya drive inthe old pc and it did the same thing.now i tried to put the ide in the newer pc and i got a screen that read its not configured properly how can i configure itor do i need to buy a special hard drive

i would appreciate your feed back
thanks glenn

Relevancy 55.47%

I have been following the steps in some of the tutorials on how to change a drive's icon. I can get get all of my drives to change to what I want, except for my SD card reader, Drive G. I have restarted the computer several times. The default blue SD icon never changes, unless i remove the card. When i insert the card, it returns of course, but with the default blue SD icon. Any ideas out there?

A:Changing Drive Icons

stoneys-nutz
Plug the drive into you computer.
Open the drive in My computer.
Click on Tools.
Click on folder options click the view tab.
Select show hidden files.
Click OK.
Close all of the My computer windows.
Do a file search on your external drive and search for .ico files there should only be one or two. delete them.
Now empty the recycle bin and restart you computer.
The next time you open your My Computer windows it should have the same icon as your other drive.

This should work.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/241387-changing-drive-icons.html
Relevancy 55.47%

OK, here is my problem... I reinstalled Windows XP and accidentally installed it on my D: drive. Now I want to change the system folders, prog files, etc and make the C: drive my default one. Is there any way to do this WITHOUT having to reinstall XP again?

thanks in advance

Relevancy 55.47%

I just had to reinstall Windows. I have two HD and each has two partitions. When I installed Windows it was put in C, but it put different letters by my other partitions. Is there a way to change them?

Hello Jim,

This can help show you how to change the drive letters (except Windows 7 drive) to what you like.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213550-changing-drive-letters.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

I started off with a WD Raptor 10,000rpm 36gb HD which formed my system drive on my original setup which consisted of XP.

Which was all fine... but I've since moved to Vista and found that windows is taking up 13.5gb. Now I really don't want to be faced with having to re-install the program files on the larger 360gb drive due to it being time consuming and the fact that it isn't a 10,000rpm drive like they are sitting on currently.

What I'd like to do if possible is copy the entire system drive over to a new WD Raptor 10,000rpm drive with a higher capacity. Question is how? Is ghosting the way to do it and if so how do I do that or is that completely the wrong thing.

Welcome all ideas...

Cheers
Dave

A:Changing My System Drive

With Ghost or Acronis True Image, you simply use Add Disk or Clone disk and copy one to the other then unplug the original and boot to the new drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-my-system-drive.721998/
Relevancy 55.47%

Please view the attachment.

I have 3 hard drives on my laptop, i have vista on one, seven on the other and one with no OS on. After buying and installing seven today on a clear hard drive, and transfering everything of vista's hard drive onto my seven one, it was time to format vista.

Windows will not let me do this because of the dual boot setup, and the vista drive being shown as the system drive (see screenshot) can someone tell me how to change the system drive, so i can format my vista hard drive which isnt needed anymore.

A:Changing the system drive.

Quote: Originally Posted by lewis

Please view the attachment.

I have 3 hard drives on my laptop, i have vista on one, seven on the other and one with no OS on. After buying and installing seven today on a clear hard drive, and transfering everything of vista's hard drive onto my seven one, it was time to format vista.

Windows will not let me do this because of the dual boot setup, and the vista drive being shown as the system drive (see screenshot) can someone tell me how to change the system drive, so i can format my vista hard drive which isnt needed anymore.

Lewis

I think you are saying you want to change the dual boot menu, and delete vista am I correct?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32296-changing-system-drive.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I am helping somebody on their new build and when he inserts a CD into the CD drive, then removes it, and inserts a new CD, it said that the disk isn't in because it was registering as the first cd

I couldn't come up with much

A:Changing CD's not recognized by CD drive

Make an uninstall list with HijackThis and i will be able to see if there is an installed program that could be the cause.

Let me know if you don't know how to do that and I will write some instructions for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-cds-not-recognized-by-cd-drive.95018/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi Everyone!

I put together a computer a couple months ago. (ASUS-A8S-X, dual AMD-ATHLON processor 64x2). I installed a hard drive (120 GB) from my previous system which is currently used used as my boot drive (master, C.

I added this week an additional hard drive (Seagate 500 GB) as a slave drive (F. I would like to make this new drive the boot drive for my system since the C: drive is 7 years old. Which is the least painful approach to proceed? Windows XP is my operating system.

Regards,

Halo

A:Changing Boot Drive

Just change the boot device priority in the bios, its as simple as that.

Provided both drives are set to cable select you wont have a problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-boot-drive.91314/
Relevancy 55.47%

ok first off i have hard help drive name a I changing hard with need drives on my pc my hp I need help with changing a hard drive name recovery I need help with changing a hard drive name which is C drive where xp is installed and the main hard drive i use which is D i wanted to change the name of my C drive to something else so i was playing around and went to this link here see below i went into Regedit exe and into HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM and then MountedDevices and changed the name of C drive into M drive and i changed my D drive into C i restarted and now windows wont load properly i cant get to my desktop im stuck at the blue windows xp load screen just before you get to the desktop how can i change the letters of the drives back to the way they were before without being able to access my desktop i obviously screwed up windows since it doesnt recognze itself on the new drive so i need to change it back http www ehow com how chan m-drive-c html

A:I need help with changing a hard drive name

All you had to do was right click on your hard drive in explorer and change the name. You shouldn't be playing in the registry if you aren't sure what you're doing.

Reboot and keep tapping your F8 key then select Last Good Configuration.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-need-help-with-changing-a-hard-drive-name-519624.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have two hard drives on my PC, the old hdd is a 19G IDE and the new hdd is a SATA 120G.
I recently reformatted the SATA hdd after backing up my files to the IDE hdd to do a clean install of XP Home.
Before I reformatted the SATA hdd was drive "C" and the old IDE hdd was drive "D", but now after reformatting the drives are now the opposite, the SATA is "D" and the IDE is "C". My main/boot hdd is the SATA. How can I change the drive letters back to what they were before I reformatted?

A:Changing drive letters

Sounds like you made the D drive the an active partition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-drive-letters.205461/
Relevancy 55.47%

So, dumb problem, but forgive me for being an idiot..

I use an external hard drive to store my music collection. Recently, for no apparent reason, Windows re-assigned the drive letter signification of my external hard drive from "F:/" to "G:/". Now all the software I use that references the files on the hard drive is throwing errors saying it can't find the file, and my music player can't find any of the songs in the library.

I could manually change all the addresses in the software I use and re-load my music library but, um, that would suck.

How do I change the letter of a drive?

Thanks!

Is there an F: drive currently in My Computer? (hint: it might be a USB removable one)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-drive-letter-123069.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, firstly, i apologize if this has been discussed before.

I followed the guide posted here to dual boot XP & 7. All's working fine now. I can boot into both the OS without any problems.

However, i've noticed that which ever OS i boot into, shows itself as installed on the C: drive. When in XP, 7 shows up on E: drive & when in 7, XP shows up on D: drive. I wanna change this. When i installed 7, i chose the D: drive &that's how i'd like it to remain.

So yeah, how do i go about changing the drive letter of 7 from C: to D:, so that it remains that way no matter which OS i boot into. Would it be safe to do this from Disk management in 7?

Note: Both the OS are installed on the same HDD.

I once again apologize if this has been asked before.

Cheers.

A:Changing 7 drive letter.

When custom installing a second copy of the same version, same edition using the same installation disk the second copy of Windows having started up the installer while in Windows will shift the second copy to other then C. When booting into a dual with two different versions or even two separate editions of the same version the normal sight is seeing C while in one and the other install as a different drive letter since C is in use at the time.

The best advice often seen with any dual boot and the optical drive being D would be giving the second Windows E, F, G, etc. if no other drive is present and doing the same while booted in the other to the first now second seen there in the DM.

For changing it from C to something else that would be the opposite of wanting to see the registry edit for correcting a goof of Windows getting the wrong letter like D assigned rather then the default C. How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows

Note that was directed at 2000, XP, and Server 2003 where this problem had been more apparent. Another guide covers what I was mentioning about how to Manage your drive letters in a dual-boot configuration

While the guide is older there for an XP/Vista dual boot the principles are the same as far as having the second OS always seeing the same drive while the Windows you are in at the moment is C.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/114034-changing-7-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey all - hope you guys can help me Here s the problem I moved my vista partition in order to Letter Changing Drive extend it - i wiped the OEM recovery partition moved the vista one and added the freespace created to it This was all with gparted All went well - all the data Changing Drive Letter is still there no problem Changing Drive Letter However now when I boot into vista I get the normal log on screen it shows my picture and username but when I log on I get quot preparing the desktop quot and then it pops up a rundll error saying it cannot access the specified device path file If I click okay I get a light blue screen and a mouse I can launch the task manager and run things like regedit or launch explorer exe This gives me a plain desktop using a temporary profile because it cannot find mine Looking at Computer it shows that the quot C quot drive has been assigned the letter X I think this is what s causing the problem I ve tried editing the MountedDevices key in the registry to reassign it but whatever I do the changes don t stick and when I reboot it reverts back to the main system partition being X and one I can t see being C Any ideas links tutorials whatever are much appreciated nbsp

Generally you should not change the drive letter of the system disk, since many windows files and setups rely on it staying how it was on install.

In general terms, it shouldn't matter what letter it is. The only exception is some old programs have C: hard coded in to them, rather than finding the real system disk, but this isn't usually an issue.

However, if I understand your post correctly, your disk was C:, but has changed to X:. I think this can indeed cause problems. You could have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/en-us but read the warnings very carefully and follow the advice, definitely regarding backing up.

You could also look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249321/ , which the first article links to.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-drive-letter.758441/
Relevancy 55.47%

i asked this question http forums techguy org windows-vista -i-want-delete-my-xp html and i figured it out the reason was because Xp was on the Primary drive at least i think thats why so right now i have hard drives with partitions so basically HDs Hard drive C -vista-logical D -Had been XP now totally empty-Primary E -other sheeyot-logical C and E are the same hard drive now i was planning on using D as a backup drive but when i tried to set it up it wasnt showing primary drive Changing up as a drive to do so i Changing primary drive clicked quot why isnt my drive showing Changing primary drive up quot and got quot The location is either the system disk the disk that Windows is installed on also called the C drive or the boot disk the disk that Windows uses to start your computer also called the startup disk quot so im assuming primary means its the startup disk if it is would it be safe to use paragon partition manager to make C Primary and D logical nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-primary-drive.726134/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

I have just installed Windows 7 on drive e: on my laptop. I already had Windows Vista on drive c: and actually wanted to install Windows 7 on that drive but couldn't free up enough space. Now I have Windows 7 on drive e: I'd like to get rid of Windows Vista and free up the space on the c: drive.

I have used vistabootpro to delete the Vista OS but all the files are still there. I read elsewhere that I can just format drive c: however when I've gone to do this I get an error message saying I can't format because this is my system drive.

My question is how can I switch the system drive to drive e: so I can safely format drive c:?

At the moment the attached .jpg shows what I see under each drive letter in disk management.

A:Changing system drive

Hello Nialljcr, welcome to Seven Forums!

In Windows 7 disk management mark the Windows 7 partition as Active, then do the 3 startup repairs with the separate restarts to create a new set of system boot files to the Windows 7 partition, see Option One steps 1 - 3 in the tutorial at the link below for an outline on the entire process and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 7

That will make it possible to then remove the Vista partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/143170-changing-system-drive.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I just re-did a computer and put XP pro on it It had a GB rpm drive as the C drive and GB of that was used drive the Changing letter. for the D drive I took out that Changing the drive letter. drive and added a GB drive to it The GB is the master on the primary channel and the GB drive is the slave on the same channel When the format and install was done on the new drive it had a drive letter of G and the GB drive had a drive letter of C and D respectfully This configuration caused severe problems I removed the GB drive and rebooted the machine and the problem is now gone But I still want to use the GB drive for paging and music storage and so forth and so on But the problem with that is that when ever I add a new drive it automatically grabs the first available drive letter and this brings back the problem from before Is there a way to change the drive letter on the system drive I tried it through disk management utility and it told me that it can not change the drive letter of the system disk Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello!
I use an external USB2 IcyBox Hard Disk Drive. It started off as L: but after using a Flash Drive & hooking up my digital camera to the computer its current drive letter is N:It stays as N: even when other USB devices are removed.
I would much prefer this drive to remain at L: in a logical progression after all other drives & partitions I have installed.
How do I get it back to L: & how do I stop it from changing to another drive letter in the future, after using other USB devices?
I am using Windows XP Home SP2. I have one ATA harddrive, which has 4 partitions, (namely C: F: G: H, & two SCSI hard drives, (D: E. All hard drives are using NTFS.
Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Tim.

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi everyone, i feel that this is probley simple... but I don't know how to do it. I've right clicked directly on the dvd-player to see if I could change it and nothing is there. My dad has a dvd-player F: and a cd-rom drive E:, His computer was formatted recently, but now the software for each of the drives are mixed up. Putting a dvd in drive F:, tells us that drive E: does not contain a disk.

I would like to just change the drive letters back to how it wants to be set-up.

Help please...?

Wogster.

A:Changing drive letters, in XP PRO ??

Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage. Under Computer Management, click Disk Management. In the right pane, you’ll see your drives listed. CD-ROM drives are listed at the bottom of the pane. Right-click the drive or device you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths. Click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the drive letter you want to assign, and then click OK.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-drive-letters-in-xp-pro.325053/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a Pent. 4, 800 mhz running win98 with 2 hard drives. The C drive, which is the boot drive, is on its way out - with several bad sectors. Right now it's limping along, but I'm able to boot it up. I'd like to replace it, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Should I install win98 on the other hard drive (D) and somehow have it boot to that drive before I take out the defective drive? Any help would be appreciated.

A:Changing out hard drive

I would get a new drive and put it in as the new "C" and reload win98 leaving the existing "D" untouched.

If you have installed any applications on the "D" drive you will have to reload them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-out-hard-drive.151443/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey there guy/s

I have a Acer travelmate 250 laptop and I want to return it too its original factory settings and wipe everything.

It comes with two recovery disks and a system disk. Following the instructions and booting from the system disk is where it all goes wrong.

It begins booting from the cd but when it looks for the CDROM driver/drive it doesnt seem to think there is one there.

THere is a partition on the HDD so the cdrom drive should be drive E: but from some reason it is Z.

I do z:/dir etc and it just cannot seem to get past the CDR101 driver.

Does this make any sense?

Hope so because it is very annoying so if anyone can help I will be very grateful.

thanks

S

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-reinstall-but-drive-keeps-changing.514030/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello,

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-NW270F laptop and I started getting the "A SMART event occured" message, so I bought a new hard drive. I have recovery disks that I created when I bought the computer about a year ago.

I put the new hard drive in and booted up the computer with the #1 recovery cd in the disk drive. The new hard drive is not recognized and the recovery option do not seem to apply to putting in a new hard drive. It prompts me to click a "select driver" button which takes me to the X drive files and the recovery disk files, but I cannot find a driver in either. Can anyone point me in the right direction and tell me what I need to do to install this new hard drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 55.47%

hello once again. i need to know how i can change and re-arrange the letters of the Drives that are installed? is it as easy as removing the drives and installing the ones i want lettered correctly one at a time?

is this kinda confusing it is a bit for me... lol

thanks again

A:Changing Drive letters.

I tink you do it from control panel / admin toolz / computer management /
disk management, then right click on the right part, that has healthy and the color ban at the top

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-drive-letters-75858.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey I've recently had a pretty tedius problem which I can't figure out names drive Changing A few days ago I figured my computer was just too old and slow to run Windows XP efficiently so I decided to try to multi-boot Windows XP with Ubuntu While I was partitioning my hard drive I deleted my Windows XP partition which was Partition and my C drive But for some reason my recovery partition Partition D then decided to assume the role of Partition C So now I am only able to install Windows to my D drive as Partition and I cannot delete Partition C because it is my factory default recovery partition It was D but it got switched to C when I Changing drive names deleted my old Windows XP partition Now I have done a fair amount of research on this already so please do not suggest Changing drive names going to the Disk Manager and renaming them there As I just get this error quot Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume quot Also I have already tried that one method which involves going into regedit HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM MountedDevices and renaming them there That just locked my computer and caused me to have to reinstall again This wouldn't sound like a big deal at first but as I've tried to use various applications I'm constantly bombarded with errors saying that it cannot find the specified disk or something to that effect Here are my computer specs incase Changing drive names you need them OS Windows XP Home Ed SP Processor AMD Athlon GHz processor RAM MB RAM MB Video RAM MB total HD GB Model HP Pavillion a n Any help would be greatly appreciated P

A:Changing drive names

Sounds like you managed to set the partition 2 active, or the proprietary HP MBR sets that partition active when it sees that Partition 1 does not have an OS installed, or is unallocated.
Did you happen to move partition 2 using the partitioning software? Does the recovery partition now show as the first partition on the disk, or is it still the 2nd?
Did you create a new partition 1 and format it, or boot with the Windows disk and create the partition from within Windows setup?

Make sure when you partition the drive that you set partition 1 as the active partition. You can use a Win98 boot floppy or CD and set it active with Fdisk, or use your partitioning software. If you used Gparted, I believe it refers to it as the Boot Flag; right click the partition, choose manage flags. Make sure only one partition has the boot flag set.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-drive-names-406999.html
Relevancy 55.47%

How do I make my new SSD my system drive without having to reinstall the OS on it?
This might help:

I've tried unplugging the current system drive (:/C), but it just says "Ntldr missing"...
Thanks in advance <3

A:Changing system drive

Unfortunately you've incorrectly installed Win7 to the SSD from C instead of correctly booting the installer so that Win7 could show as C when booted. This also assured the System boot files would remain on C.

If you don't mind the SSD Win7 being E drive when booted, then you can follow these steps to recover the System boot files into it:

Mark E Active in Disk Mgmt or using the Win7 DVD Repair console Command Line: Partition - Mark as Active. I would also mark F Partition - Mark as Inactive as only OS partitions should be marked Active.

Power down to unplug all other HD's, reboot into BIOS setup to make sure SSD is set first HD to boot, after DVD drive.

Now boot the Win7 DVD Repair console to run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts on its own and E holds the System flag.

You can now plug back in the other HD's. If you need to boot C select it's HD to boot using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key given on first boot screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/217503-changing-system-drive.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a Pent. 4, 800 mhz running win98 with 2 hard drives. The C drive, which is the boot drive, is on its way out - with several bad sectors. Right now it's limping along, but I'm able to boot it up. I'd like to replace it, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Should I install win98 on the other hard drive (D) and somehow have it boot to that drive before I take out the defective drive? Any help would be appreciated.

A:Changing out hard drive

Closing duplicate, reply here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=1017313#post1017313

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-out-hard-drive.151441/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have multiple drives in My Computer, and I want to change the icon for those drives to match the content in there. How do I do this?

A:Changing Drive Icon

Hello Saiarcot,

This can help show you how to. It's the same in Windows 7 as in Vista.

Drive Icon Change - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/44582-changing-drive-icon.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Is it normal when installing Windows 7 that it installs itself on 'C' Drive and moves XP from 'C' Drive to 'D' Drive even though it appeared to be installing on 'D' during installation?

AFAICT, Yes. This makes it easier for compatibility reasons. When you boot into XP you should see i being the C: drive again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/6971-changing-drive-letters.html
Relevancy 55.47%

So I added a drive label and now cant figure out how to remove it, seen in the image provided I want to remove the words "HotSwap".
UPDTE: It seems that the "HotSwap" is attached to the drive letter, not the drive as any drive on G gets the label.

A:Changing second drive label.

Open an Explorer Window to Computer. Right click on the G: drive then click Properties at the bottom. At the top of that window should be the drive label. Just click in there and backspace it out or use Del key. When it is blank, press OK.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/342069-changing-second-drive-label.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I m running XP disk Changing help drive and am having the following problem I installed a new drive two years ago to hold my music and other large files so now I have a C and D drive I wanted to change my system drive to my D drive and installed XP on it So now both C and D are running XP When I logon my computer prompts me as to which XP I want to load I d like to make my D drive my system drive it is now my boot drive and I Changing disk drive help would also like to make it my master drive and to reformat my C drive and make it the slave How do I do this Also I tried to change the ribbons internally from master to slave Now when I boot up I m having problems as well It is telling me there is a problem with my disk drive To log on I have to press F Please help me fix these problems

A:Changing disk drive help

Hi .There are any number of approaches one could take...But I would remove the C: drive...leaving just the current D: drive and one optical drive installed/properly connected. That includes the removal of any flash drives/external drives.Then I would do a repair install on the D: drive, which would make it the C: drive.After that was complete and I had installed all critical updates...I would connect the other drive. If I did not want any of the files currently on it, I would just use the XP CD to delete all partitions/structures, etc. and then partition/format the storage partition(s) that I wanted.How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176437/changing-disk-drive-help/
Relevancy 55.47%

I know this is a novice question but because I haven't done it in so long, I can't remember how.
How do I change the drive letters in Windows XP?
When I stepped up to the new OS, it recognized all my drives except my Zip so I had to reinstall it. Now, instead of my Zip being E, DVD being F, and Burner being G; my DVD is E, Burner is F, and Zip is G.
I know it seems petty, but all these drives are physically labled on my case with the original preffered setup.

Change the labels on your case...LOL
Go into device manager and change them from there. Does XP have a disk administrator like NT and 2000?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-drive-letters.59474/
Relevancy 55.47%

I recently got a new Dell Dimension and it came with a DVD-Rom and a of Changing BIOS? drive the in name DVD-R RW I m not sure about the information for the DVD-R RW as my BIOS is currently not recognizing it I am using a Netgear Mbps Wireless USB wireless adapter and it is somehow causing my DVD-R RW to not be recognized by the BIOS When Changing the name of a drive in BIOS? the wireless adapter is plugged in upon booting the computer I ll be Changing the name of a drive in BIOS? told that it quot cannot find Drive quot I looked in the BIOS and the DVD-R RW is Drive I have to take the wireless adapter out and reboot one or two times before the BIOS will recognize it When I boot it up and the drive works I can put the wireless adapter in and both will work But then I shut down the computer and when I reboot with the adapter in it won t work When I reboot with the adapter out I still get that quot Drive quot message but I only get it after both the DVD-R RW and wireless adapter were used This is frustrating My father doesn t know what to do and I haven t been able to find any information that could help me Is there any way I can change the DVD-R RW from Drive to something else and maybe solve this If I ve managed to confuse you I m sorry just tell me and I ll try to explain nbsp

A:Changing the name of a drive in BIOS?

Try playing around with IRQ and plug an play settings. Try toggling legacy USB/USB interrupt, plug and play BIOS, APIC, disable VGA interrupt. Disable any devices you don't use in BIOS - turn off parallel and serial ports for example.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-the-name-of-a-drive-in-bios.42646/
Relevancy 55.04%

i unfortunately bought a pc from hp. i would like to free up as much space as i can, so i want to know if there is a way i can just burnt the information on the recovery drive onto a disk or thumb drive and turn the 11.5 gigs they are using for it into unallocated space. if so, is it really that simple? could i click and drag the files from within it, onto a thumb drive?

A:changing recovery drive method

On all HP computers with pre-installed Windows, you can find a recovery tool in Start Menu. Not on my HP's now, can't remember exactly what's the name of the tool, but check Start Menu for HP > recovery or something similar.

Launch the tool, it allows you to burn the recovery DVD set, 2 to 5 DVD's depending on your model.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/215288-changing-recovery-drive-method.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,
A few days ago I decided to install windows 7 7100 on my newly built desktop, unfortunately a day later i get an error called 651, i looked around and found out that it is a bug so i am resorting to a more stable os (vista...but only for now) and i am trying to boot it from daemon tools becuz my dvd copy has trouble booting, but every time i try to install it, it keeps trying to install the OS on my system partition and gives me an error that says there is not enough space available.

So my question is, how can i change the default drive letter that windows 7 gives to Daemon Tools?

No input is disregarded, and thank you in advance for the insight.

Josh

A:changing default drive letters

I would probably try and get a working DVD copy, or move it to a USB flash drive, following the steps to boot from that. This way, you can do a fresh install, and not have to worry about errors or wrong drive letters.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/24299-changing-default-drive-letters.html
Relevancy 55.04%

On my Vista machine, I find that occasionally when starting a backup (Acronis) to an external drive the drive letter has changed from the original to D, J, K and now it's back to D. Any ideas?

While you Guys are mulling over the above, here's another little puzzler:

As of lately, when I put Compact Flash card into the slot in my computer I grt the "blue screen" and my machine commences to reboot. My only work around has been to first bring up the CF drive, click on it, and then insert the card in the drive. Thanks for any suggestions.

earub

A:External drive keeps changing letters...

Hello & Welcome to TGF.

RIGHT click "computer".
manage
maximize screen
On left, left click "disk management"
On the right, in the lower gray area, RIGHT click the external drive.
Properties.
There, you can assign a drive letter.

The issue may occur if you connect additional drives, flash for example. Could occur if you change ports; assuming you are using USB connections.

RF123

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drive-keeps-changing-letters.872954/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi
recently i put in a new DVD rewriter in my pc wich changed the driver location of my removable hard drive . It has 1900 artist on there wich are all in itunes and i dont want to change the locatinn of the songs and so is there any way of changing the location of the hard drive from :F to :G. Some one said there was a way of doing it from the administarative tools in control pannel. Please say if you know a way of changing it. My career depends on you!!!!!!.

A:Changing hard drive location

The easiest way is to right click on your "my computer", select manage, then storage, then disk management. Then just right click and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.

What i tend to do is set say my cd burner to z then arrange the hard drives as i want, then change the burner from z to the lowest available letter - as an example.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drive-location.65349/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a slightly unusual situation I Changing secondary Drive to Boot the the have a Dell Precision Workstation running Changing the Boot Drive to the secondary XP sp This computer has a Changing the Boot Drive to the secondary primary C hard drive which for some odd reason Dell decided to make it a GB SCSI drive There is an IDE buss available and I have a GB Seagate drive E on the Primary and a DVD CD on the secondary I keep running out of memory on Changing the Boot Drive to the secondary the primary C drive so I would like to clone the contents of the C drive and move it to the GB drive I have downloaded a nice little program called HD Clone to do this but I have questions What if I just change the boot drive in the BIOS to the GB drive and clone the data to that drive Would that work Or would that delete the data currently on the drive Then I would rename E to C after pulling the SCSI drive OR Do I need to create a new partition on the GB drive If so will this delete the data currently on the drive What about formatting this new partition Can I name this new partition C to keep all the file references the same If it helps I could copy CLONE the GB SCSI drive to an SD card then unplug the SCSI create the new C partition and then copy the SD card to the new C Please provide a step by step of the best way to achieve this if possible Thanks much Dean nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-boot-drive-to-the-secondary.1083750/
Relevancy 55.04%

I wanted to install Windows XP on an old computer. Its CD drive was broken, so I installed XP from its hard drive instead. When everything was finished, I ended up with two drives, D and E. Unfortunately, I was tempted to change the letters (OCD, much?) to C and D, and did so (via regedit).

Now, my computer won't boot up; the welcome screen shows up, but it freezes there.

Can someone help me undo my stupid mistake? Thanks in advance!