Windows Support Forum

Dell Inspiron half of the screen is dark

Q: Dell Inspiron half of the screen is dark

Hello,

I've got a Dell Inspiron 9400.

For a few years now the left half of the screen is really dark, with the other side normal brightness and a noticeable divide between the two. This only happens when the power supply is plugged in, the screen is fine when running off the battery.

I remember at the time doing a quick search and reading that it was likely to be a faulty battery, so that was replaced but didn't make a difference. Very few searches come back with an exact match of my situation, but keep seeing to detach the LCD cables and make sure they're in good condition yet haven't seen any success stories.

Does anyone know the problem?

Oli

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Dell Inspiron half of the screen is dark

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Dell Inspiron half of the screen is dark

Does attaching an external monitor show the same problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-half-of-the-screen-is-dark.187509/
Relevancy 92.88%

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running WinXP. When I boot it up, the screen is bright but then goes dark immediately after. I can see the desktop, but juct barely. When I close the lid and open it, it momentarily stays bright but then goes dark again. Does anyone have a suggestion for what is wrong and how to correct it? I have the power settings set so that thwe screen never turns off or hibernates and the batter is fully charged (happens when it is plugged in also). Thanks for the help.

Bob

Relevancy 92.02%

Have a laptop and I'm trying to decide which part is causing this problem. If the laptop is powered sits for a while (hours), the display works fine for about 60 seconds and then goes very dark. I can barely make out the image but it's there.

External monitor works fine so it doesn't appear to be the video adapter. I've narrowed it down to the inverter or the CCFL. Both are pretty cheap to buy but the inverter seems to be easier to replace.

Is there an easy way to tell which is causing the problem?

A:Dell Inspiron 600m - screen goes dark after about 60 seconds

Most likely the inverter or a faulty connection to the inverter or CCFL tube

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-600m-screen-goes-dark-after-about-60-seconds.151313/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi everyone, I am having problems with a Dell Inspiron 1501. The screen was doing ok, but it has recently started acting funny. The power button for sleep was pushed on the dell and ever since then the screen is extremely dark but it will display on an external monitor. What could be wrong? Thanks

A:Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop LCD screen is dark

sounds like the backlight or the transformer that powers the backlight has gone out

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1501-laptop-lcd-screen-is-dark.123719/
Relevancy 78.69%

have dell cut the laptop off from loading as it will only load half way then stops and wont carry on loading to the end

A:my dell inspiron 5160 only loads half way the dell logo come

I doubt Dell have done anything - your computer has developed a fault,Tap F8 key during startup and see if you can see a menu with Safe Mode mentioned. If it is there go for it and let us know if it then boots up. Note that in Safe Mode things will look rather different (large icons etc). If this fault came on recently and you can get into Safe Mode then you could do system restore to a time before the problem came along - type System Restore in search.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/my-dell-inspiron-5160-only-loads-half-way-the-dell-logo-come/203416.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hello! I have bought my son the above game for Xmas. When I have tried it out, the screen is very dark. While loading the game it said that his video card didn't have uptodate drivers. He has a Nvidia Geforce2 Mx/MX400 microsoft card and uses windows XP. Can you tell me where I can update his driver please?? I am confused as there seems to be so many types of video cards. thank you

Relevancy 73.53%

Hello
i have a problem with an inspiron 1525 laptop. Originally the board was damaged because of a liquid spill so i bought a new board and replaced it. The problem i have now is that the screen is dark, you can see the desktop if you look closely. So i thought that the inverter had gone, bought a new one still the same, bought another lcd cable and tried with another working screen, still same problem, im hoping that the new motherboard is not faulty. If anybody has an idea what else i could try

Thanks

A:inspiron 1525 dark screen

Might be the CCFL, the fluorescent tube at the bottom of the screen that spans the width of the screen--extremely delicate job to replace.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/inspiron-1525-dark-screen.908323/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello,
Have a dell inspiron 5150
the screen is so dark its hardly readable, dont know what the problem is.
tryed hooking up to a regular monitor but no luck.
anyone know how to troubleshoot this ?
thankyou, jpass

Relevancy 72.24%

I have an inspiron e1405 OS: xp, The lcd went bad, replaced, now have a dark screen, replaced inverter and lamp, still dark. updated bios and video drivers. still dark screen. FN screen brightness changes screen brightness non linearly, with mid being brightest. Any suggestions? read somewhere there might be burned wires due to feedback from lcd? if that might be the case is soldering possible?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/e1405-inspiron-dark-screen-after-repace-parts.907159/
Relevancy 69.66%

I am replacing a n LCD panel Inspiron LTN-154-U2-L06 screen with panel; 1300 LCD dark 7 but replaced 32-bit WUXGA LCD CCFL Samsung Win on, that spontaneously cracked nbsp I ve received a refurb LTN- -U -L nbsp A first blush one might think it is defective CCFL on blank Inspiron 1300 LCD replaced with Samsung LTN-154-U2-L06 WUXGA LCD panel; screen dark but CCFL on, Win 7 32-bit screen Environment - Windows -bit - installed fine using previous WXGA LCD panel New LCD panel LTN- -U -L WUXGA LCD panel glossy From Device Drive Properties - SEC Note - ribbon LCD cable is well-seated nbsp It has even been replaced with a similar cable same results below This panel plugged into this Inspiron cable - CCFL lights - no image nbsp This begins at boot - no BIOS Screen This panel onto a cable from a Lenovo ThinkiPadT- - display work perfectly device Manager identifies as SEC and displays all resolutions An old IDTech N- -x -L A nbsp SXGA from a ThinkPad - display works perfectly in the Inspiron at the end of the ribbon cable This makes no sense - clearly the graphics unit works the cables work and the LCDs work nbsp It s just that this LCD which should work doesn t I have seen a number of thoughts - This screen needs a specific driver and no never tried this on XP nbsp Some have said tht LCD s don t need inf files nbsp In some cases they do The EDID Extended Display Identification Data EEPROM of the LCD is being read improperly or may need to be re-flashed if so why does it work on the ThinkPad

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19986549
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 that's about three years old. Starting a few days ago, the monitor pretty much refuses to light up if I have it plugged in. If I start it up with it plugged in, the screen lights up intermittently during the startup, then quits once my desktop appears. If I want it to light up again, I have to shut it so it goes into sleep mode. When I open it again, if I have unplugged it, it will light up in power-save mode just fine.

Any idea what is going on here? I've tried a friend's power cord, and that does not appear to change things. I'm running Windows XP. I'm not sure how that would affect anything, but I really have no idea why this would be occurring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Screen goes dark when I plug in my Dell

check if you see the picture on the screen it will be very dim. Also dose it pick up a external monitor connected to the back of the laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-goes-dark-when-i-plug-in-my-dell.104709/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi, The screen on my Dell laptop (which is 14 months old, not dropped or otherwise damaged) keeps blanking out although I can still see the Desktop and whatever else is on the screen if I shine a light directly onto it. This seems to happen randomly and either stays dark (until restart) or comes back on after a minute or two. The laptop doesn't seem to be overheating or making any odder than usual noises. Any ideas or help much appreciated.

A:Dark screen on Dell laptop

Hi, welcome to tsf,

if you move the screen fully open and then just about closed then open again will the backlight come back on? might be a lose connection.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dark-screen-on-dell-laptop-668557.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi everyone, recently been having an issue with my Dell Studio 1537, when I push the lid back the screen goes very dark, if I shine a light on it a can just about see what's on the screen, if I move the screen towards me again it flickers back on. I thought it might be an issue with the backlight inverter or a loose connection of some sort but its been tricky pinning down exactly what it is but it does seem to be sensitive to movement, can a failing backlight inverter work intermittently like this?

A:Dell Studio - Screen goes dark when moving the lid

I had the same problem with a laptop a couple of years ago. I actually pin pointed the problem down to a wire. A wire that feeds into the screen was getting pinched slightly and it was causing the backlight not to work. If you are inclined to try, I would carefully take it apart and check for any pinched or crimped wire(s).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-studio-screen-goes-dark-when-moving-the-lid.193317/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi people,

I have a problem with my sisters Dell Vostro 1500 laptop which is 2 years old which she is hoping i can get fixed for her!

When the laptop is started up the screen is very dull and dark. The brightness keys do nothing when pressed.

When i plug the external monitor in to the VGA port the output can be shown on the extenal monitor but not on the laptop screen even by pressing Function key + F8 to toggle displays.

The laptop graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS. I have tried replacing the driver however this has made no difference.

Has anyone any experiance of this problem or a problem like it. Could it be that the screen has died?

Thanks

David

A:Dell Vostro - Dull/Very Dark Screen

anyone got any ideas????? Its also installed with Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-vostro-dull-very-dark-screen.949789/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi, I have a Dell XPS 15z laptop.  I was typing on my laptop today when out of no where, a dark shadow abruptly emerged on the right side of my laptop screen.  At first I thought it was a glare, but when I tilted the screen I realized it looked like something went wrong with either the screen, backlight, etc. I unfortunately can't include a screen shot of the shadow because it doesn't show up that way. However I included a picture I took with my phone that might help explain my problem

Any recommendation, advise or help is greatly appreciated :) 

A:Dell XPS 15z Latop screen dark shadow problem

Hi Owen1229,
Welcome to the community.
Please check the link below which would help you resolve this issue:
http://dell.to/WMHJCt

Also, check the laptop with external display to isolate the cause of the issue.
Kindly perform these steps and let us know, so we can advise you further.
Thanks and RegardsSandeep P#iworkfordell

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19503086
Relevancy 67.51%

Same issue as everyone else, wish I would've looked a little sooner.  I've got a March 2012 model and this started just after warranty with a shadow that my kids got blamed for, Don't Touch Dads Laptop, feeling bad about that now.  
It slowly moved across my screen until it wasn't worth using the built in display.  *** when you buy a laptop and it turns into a really expensive desktop.
 The only upside is that i use a 50"  screen
If Dell could get passed the 7/10 rule of only 7 out of 10 products have to work correctly to meet expectations and goals just maybe they would have better ratings.
 Their honestly lucky theirs so many people in this wonderful world to sucker in.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19997571
Relevancy 65.79%

I've had my XPS 13 for a couple months and it has been getting worse and worse with a flicker thats just more than half the screen. I took a picture of it during the flickering for an idea of what it looks like. I've updated the drivers to the most recent ones (I followed an older link to update and mine are newer than what were suggested). I'm at a loss as to why its doing this, there is no common action that I've been doing to make it happen. It typically just starts doing it on its own, with or without me actually using the laptop.

http://imgur.com/a/Oa6Mv

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19990422
Relevancy 65.36%

i have just purchased a DELL Inspiron 15 5000 SERIES - 5559 with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed in Spanish. I have also purchased a DELL 24" additional screen SE2416H.
Whilst watching live internet broadcasts (TV, Youtube etc.) on Chrome, Edge or Firefox, as soon as I connect the screen to the laptop by HDMI cable, the sound on my laptop speakers disappears. Upon disconnection of the HDMI screen cable, the sound re-appears.  
However, the sound doesn't disappear when using other sound applications such as Skype. 
This means I can't enjoy watching internet TV with sound on the 24" screen.
Please advise how to fix this as the main point of purchasing the 24" screen was precisely to be able to watch (and listen to) TV programs.
Regards, 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19985632
Relevancy 65.36%

I have read multiple postings about folks spend hours on the phone with Dell about Blue Screens of Death and Inspiron I too bought a Dell Inspiron - the First machine after installing my lexmark printer driver not only gave me blue screens but memory issues with the windows desktop not painting correctly and icons missing So I called Dell and they told me how reset the machine back to the factory settings but I still encountered the Blue screen of Death even after that and then going to standby hibernation and coming back - clicking to yahoo and checking mai Boom Blue Screen every time I called Dell and they replaced the machine with another Dell Inspiron desktop week ago I hooked up the new one and the same exact thing has happened - I restored the settings with Inspiron Stop 0x40000080 Dell 530 Screen Dell Error Code Blue again and have already had the dreaded blue screen Stop error code x even with out now installing anything Dell Blue Screen Stop Error Code 0x40000080 with Dell Inspiron 530 related to a printer all while coming back from hibernation So what I have read here is to get around this issue is to never let the machine got to standby or Hibernation is that correct or do I need driver updates why in the world I would need new drivers when this is a brand new machine HELP in CT Thanks nbsp

A:Dell Blue Screen Stop Error Code 0x40000080 with Dell Inspiron 530

Go into your Device manager and see if there are any conflicts/issues noted by a yellow triangle with and exclamation mark in the center.

You are the second person here today with a DELL computer and 0x80 errors.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-blue-screen-stop-error-code-0x40000080-with-dell-inspiron-530.101001/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey, im having some issues. I have a DELL inspiron 5100 laptop and i just recently removed a virus that almost destroyed my hard drive, I got it to work fine but after a few days of use it started to freeze up on the DELL loading screen on the start up, i accidently pressed the F12 key and it took me to a screen with different ways to start up XP, like through the Hard drive or a disk.
i selected to run offthe hard drive and it froze up any help?

thanks

A:[SOLVED] Dell inspiron 1500 laptop freezes after DELL loading screen

hi, after you hit F12 did you see the diagnostics program at all? Ordinarily I would say It may be worthwhile running a scan on the hard drive if you can. But, I see you removed a virus, can you tell me if it was with the help of the antimalware section on this forum? or did you just remove it yourself? I need to know if you are absolutely sure you removed all traces of the virus - if you had the help of a forum they would have given you the "all clear". Have you tried starting in safe mode at all?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-dell-inspiron-1500-laptop-freezes-after-dell-loading-screen-506230.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Dell inspiron that will not boot Its running xp professional with a core quad When I turn it on i hear one beep and it sticks at the boot splash screen F and F do nothing So far I have tried the following Swapped hard drive out with a known working one Removed both sticks of gig ram and placed them in different slots Swapped out one stick of ram at a time to determine if one is defective Swapped out all ram with known working ram Removed radeon graphics card Tried to do a repair on windows from a disk but I cannot get into the boot settings Tried unplugging everything except the monitor and power cord After attempting these steps I still receive the same results everytime I was thinking about removing and re-seating the processor but I figure someone with more knowledge than me would have another suggestion for me to try I fear the worst for this PC assuming it is the motherboard or processor No new hardware or software was added to this system when the issue started Thanks in advance for any help suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

i have lots of problems since its old and over used but recently it used to close itself then when i close it and reopen after a while it give me message that it was over heated but opens fine after i skip it i think its not a heat problem cause sometimes it close after a while anyway today when i was using it i noticed the light beep 6400 turns black after screen dell my and inspiron dell getting darker than normal in seconds then suddenly screen turned black i tried to close it and reopen i my dell inspiron 6400 turns black after dell screen and beep see dell start screen and low beep then screen turn black but its still working and i can hear it open normally just screen black i tried to take off battery AC chord and pressing power button for a while but didnt work same thing happens though the screen sometimes give red light i tried to work with AC chord or battery only still not working i tried to connect my laptop to another screen but it doesnt connect my dell inspiron 6400 turns black after dell screen and beep i dont know if it needs options first or no but with black screen i cant see everything to download program if i need well i dont know whats wrong all my dell inspiron 6400 turns black after dell screen and beep happens dell start screen low current beep then open normally but with black screen a note if it helps my screen side cover broken did that cause problem or it doesnt matter EDIT i tried to open it again its fine but screen black i can barely see shadow of everything i think something happened from cover damage or is it something else message edited by mamera

A:my dell inspiron 6400 turns black after dell screen and beep

Best first step would be to beg or borrow a monitor and plug it in as an external. That would tell you if you have a monitor fault or not.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/my-dell-inspiron-6400-turns-black-after-dell-screen-and-beep/203157.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Since a few weeks ago my microphone has only been working when tilting the screen forward I saw a previous discussion http answers microsoft com en-us windows forum windows vista-pictures microphone-not-working-that-in-installed-in-my f e d - bee- - Dell Unhelpful Microphone Problem 7537 Inspiron - Dell Screen Tilting Hardware afc- f b a f auth where people have reported similar problems Although my laptop was still under warranty when I reported the problem to Dell they proceeded to sending me an onsite technician with a Dell Inspiron 7537 Microphone Hardware Tilting Screen Problem - Dell Unhelpful repair microphone Dell Inspiron 7537 Microphone Hardware Tilting Screen Problem - Dell Unhelpful part who said that he could not replace just the microphone because I had a touchscreen you would think Dell would have checked to send the right part then a refurbished new screen that did not work at all on my computer and then refused to solve the problem by arguing that my system was no longer under warranty which it was not by the time they finally sent the non working screen and I called back to ask for another one to be sent mdash it was all problems from their side Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if they were able to fix it themselves as now my microphone is not working at all not even when I tilt the screen I have also noticed the same problem for the touch screen It only works when the screen is tilted forward and I am afraid that like the microphone it will reach a point of no return It seems to me that there is some faulty wiring from the screen components into the base Any help would be much appreciated

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19990970
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello,

I have a problem with my new laptop and it happens only sometimes. It is around 1 month old and it had this problem from the beginning . The laptop is a DELL INSPIRON 3552
1. DELL LOGO appears
2. Screen backlight is ok
3. Windows won't start ( window's logo doesn't appear ) and if i plug an external mouse the cursor is on the black screen.
If I shut down the laptop from the power button and the start it again it works. It's very random. Once I had to restart the laptop for 3 times before the windows started.
Any ideas ? 

A:DELL Inspiron Windows screen black after DELL logo

Hi,
Thank you for writing to us!
As we understand that the system doesnt not boot and just goes up to the Dell logo and after multiple restarts the system works fine.
In that case ,Can you boot the system into " Safe mode " and check if the same happens..You can also perform a system restore and also check for updates pending .
Thanks
Robin

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19993389
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Dell inspiron that will not boot Its running xp professional with a core quad When I turn it on i hear one beep and it sticks at the boot splash screen F and F do nothing So far I have tried the following Swapped hard drive out with a known working one Removed both sticks of gig ram dell 530 Inspiron splash/boot stuck screen at Dell and placed them in different slots Swapped out one stick of ram at a time to determine if one is defective Swapped out all ram with known working ram Removed radeon graphics card Tried to do a repair on windows from a disk but I cannot get into the boot settings Tried unplugging everything except the monitor and power cord After attempting these steps I still receive the same results everytime I was thinking about removing and re-seating the processor but I figure someone with more knowledge than me would have another suggestion for me to try I fear the worst for this PC assuming it is the motherboard or processor No new hardware or software was added to this system when the issue started Thanks in advance for any help suggestions

A:Dell Inspiron 530 stuck at dell splash/boot screen

Try clearing the CMOS, might be the solution. if that doesn't work you could try flashing the bios, here's the documention on how to do both. Just follow the steps exactly and you'll be fine, it requires you to go into the actual computer to do it.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1141353

hope it works, good luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dell-inspiron-530-stuck-at-dell-splash-boot-screen-438928.html
Relevancy 64.5%

At the head of this I will suggest that this is a motherboard failure.
Cannot use the function keys.

I have:

1) unplugged all peripherals prior to start up
2) unplugged from mains and held down starter key before plugging and restarting.
3) Cleared CMOS as per owners manual p 196

I now have lined down the screen and the Dell splash screen is just sitting there like an inert screensaver.

Note: no abnormal beeps.

I've uploaded what the screen looks like.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-530-stuck-at-dell-splash-screen.1150692/
Relevancy 64.5%

The computer powers up then
1 beep , solid blue light on power switch.
Removed the CMOS battery left out overnight installed new 2032 battery
Same start up, the progress bar stops 1/2 way , also the keyboard will not light up on any USB port
But the mouse lights up.
Removed and reseated the ram, removed the pny video card and switched to on board VGA
Same thing.
Unplugged the DVD and hard disk same thing just gets stuck on splash screen.
Any other thoughts or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Howard

Relevancy 64.07%

Guys my 1TB SATA HDD is partitioned. One partition is used for image backups & is 400Gb. On inspection I have approx 40Gb of backup images. There is nothing to be seen of stored data inside the partition.

It was about half full awhile back. But all was deleted. Yet windows shown the disc as 200Gb used. I've wiped free space with ccleaner but the 'dark matter' remains. So it should read 360Gb free rather than 200 Gb free.

Suggestions ??

A:My HDD is half full of 'dark matter'.

Download and install WinDerStat, post a screenshot of that particular partition using it.

Also, Make sure that there are no hidden Files.
Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > Wiew tab > Show hidden files, folders and drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/265350-my-hdd-half-full-dark-matter.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi,

I've been working on a dell inspiron 1525 today and cant figure what is causing this problem.

The laptop boots, displays the post screen, and then the screen goes black.
You can boot into BIOS,
You can boot into the Boot menu.

You cannot boot into safe mode, the f8 key does nothing,
when using the boot menu, u can't boot into a windows disc to reload the operating system, it just goes black.
I did however manage to boot into a linux cd i have and run a HDD test (what passed) and a memory test (what also passed).

It does exactly the same on an external monitor aswell so I am lost with this one.

Any ideas would be appreciated

A:[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 1525 - Screen goes black after POST screen?

Which OS is on the computer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-dell-inspiron-1525-screen-goes-black-after-post-screen-642561.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My screen developed blinking vertical lines in the beginning to constant now. There is no more blinking, just vertical lines of varying colors. 
Is this fixable or will i have to replace my display screen?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19772331
Relevancy 62.78%

Hey!

My Dell Inspiron 1100 is over 6 years old at this point, quite the dinosaur. However, I still have a bit of old data I would love to remove before it really bites the dust.

When I boot up the machine, usually the display is clear and bright. However, after no more than a minute the screen goes black and only a faint outline of the desktop remains. What is the problem and what do I need to do to solve it?

Thanks!

A:Dell Inspiron 1100 screen goes black 30 secs after booting up, faint screen outline

Hi

backlights or invertor board is failing (failed).

If there is an external monitor socket on it use a monitor to see the screen and then you can backup your data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1100-screen-goes-black-30-secs-after-booting-up-faint-screen-outline.147047/
Relevancy 61.92%

My laptop Dell Inspiron 15R 5520(Core i3 2370M 6GB ram win 7 64bit)  worked perfectly from Nov2012-April2016. 

Now the screen started flickering and jumping since a few days and there's a white dotted line that appears along the top of the screen that starts the minute there is any kind of display.
How do I figure out if the inverter on the screen is faulty or if it's the screen cable or the whole screen itself?
To satisfy my curiosity I opened up my laptop to find that the lcd cable was badly crushed under the screen hinge (definitely , a design/manufacturing issue! Will dell take responsibility?), and each time the screen was shut/open there was substantial pressure on the cable was what I noticed.
Unfortunately I'm out of warranty and I don't know what to do.
Please advise on fixing this issue.

A:My Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 screen suddenly started flickering and the screen jumps 1inch every couple of seconds and is very annoying.

same problem.
I've already tried deactivating adaptive screen light.
seems incompatibility with windows 10

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19681922
Relevancy 60.63%

Hey Everyone my Dell Inspiron 15 failed to upload an update, and then rebooted. 
Then it got stuck on the "Dell" screen and wont boot up Windows 8. I can get into the Bios, but nothing seems to help, and the Diagnostic test says that it cannot find the Hard Drive. 

Any help?

Peter Hamm

A:(Redirected) Dell Inspiron stuck on "Dell" screen after failed update...

As you have a laptop, best to post this in the Laptop Forum here:http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/default.aspxBev. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19682602
Relevancy 60.2%

My Dell Inspiron One is not loading everything on screen. It is leaving out back ground color and some text is not showing up. If you scroll across screen some of the places were text is supposed to be will pop up as long as the courser is on it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox but that did not help. Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 60.2%

I have a 3 year old Dell Inspiron 2500 that has started to have screen stability/goes white/goes black problems. However if I plug a Compaq monitor in and have displays on both the Compaq monitor is fine but the problems continue on the Inspiron screen.

Any thoughts?

A:Screen Problems with Dell Inspiron

maybe its a pixel problem, i had a laptop from my school and some crazy fellow came along and hit it off the table...
the screen was ok, but the next day my screen did the same thing as yours, took an got it fixed, not sure what they did

final answer, dieing pixels or just an old monitor that has seen its days

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-problems-with-dell-inspiron.37510/
Relevancy 60.2%

Anyone know if Inspiron screen are compatible across different models if the the screen size is the same?
Are the pin connections the same? I'm not worryed about it fitting "just right."

I've have a 1501 and I'm looking at a buying a striped down 9400 to rebuild. The setup looks the same, however I can seem to find a straight answer poking around the web. That leads me to think no. I don't have enough knowledge of dells to say for sure.

I will post pictures the Frankenstien if it works.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-screen-compatibility.996693/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello Dell community, I'm fresh hereCurrently I have a problem with a Dell Inspiron 3541, please have a look at the below screenshot
pasteboard.co/9iEJAcsKs.jpg
I've tried everything, installed new Windows from fresh but still can not solve the problem which is screen appear to not showing in full screen (the outline got cut off). I've tried to installed the proper drivers but still the screen showing the same way when the laptop start up just begin at BIOS screen.
Please help to look into the series if there any similar error and ways to fix it.
Hopefully there will any help
Regards!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19989133
Relevancy 60.2%

I recently changed my display out. Every time I boot up the computer I have to unplug and plug back in the connector shown in the photo to have full color, otherwise it is a very dim screen. Using windows xp. Any thoughts????

A:Dell Inspiron screen dim on startup

Was the replacement LCD panel the same part number as the old panel?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-screen-dim-on-startup.191959/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi....this is my first post on here so please be gentle........

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m which I have been using for just over 2 years with virtually no problems....but about a week ago I was on a plane playing solitaire and my screen showed a few green, blue, and red squares and then went black. It sounded like it was still running, though. I turned it off and tried again a few minutes later, and it was still black but sometimes if I moved the screen back and forth I would get a brief view of my desktop. I hooked it up to an external monitor, and everything is working fine. I have spoken with several places, and I get different answers every time so I was hoping to gain some insight via this forum. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated, thanks so much for your time!!

-Kristen!

A:Black Dell INspiron Screen

Hi,

I don`t know what answers you have received so far,

but here is mine ;

- the standby switch near the hinges is stuck/dirty or a cable connection is not making..

Or

- the power inverter (suppliies the backlight) is dying.

Both are user fixable tasks,but you may want to have someone look at it.

See HERE and HERE There are other guides,if those don`t suffice

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-dell-inspiron-screen.94005/
Relevancy 60.2%

I turned on my laptop today after about a month of not using and it and seems as if the comos got erased somehow. Anyway, the display is limited to about 50% of the total screen. It is a 14 inch TFT display yet it looks as if it is only using about a 7 inch by 5 inch box in the middle of the screen. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to make adjustments to the screen size as you would with any typical monitor. Does anyone have a clue as to what I should do?

A:Dell Inspiron 4000 Screen

Have you tried changing the resolution from within windows ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-4000-screen.14523/
Relevancy 60.2%

I had a computer a Dell Inspiron B and I was about to run the last released version of the DooM screen Dell blue Inspiron source port Risen d Earlier I had turned up the volume due to a music file being very low The result was E M blasting to all the Dell Inspiron blue screen people in the very small room I tried to turn the volume down but the old PC was having a hard enough time loading Dell Inspiron blue screen all the hiresolution textures and MD models The power button wouldn t work so I closed the cover and started to walk out The music stopped and the power lights went off I opened the cover to restart the comp then Dell Inspiron blue screen the lights came back on the music blaring again and I was starting to get stared at I m very shy so I just pulled the plug on the laptop The battery wasn t connected properly and the power was cut instantly Everything stopped and I waited for a while to let thing cool off one problem with the PC is that it doesn t ever give me heat errors even though the botom is about to melt off I put the battery back in properly and turned it on It went normal showing me the Dell BIOS screen then the second BIOS screen then the boot options came on It said to choose reboot normaly if you didn t know what happened or there was a power failure I chose it and after the Windows boot screen came up I am running Windows XP Home Edition and the little blue bar went all the way accross a blue screen came up with an error message A wiser computer man than I said to just leave it alone for a while so I ll give what I remember It was saying how an error had come up and something like quot SECTION INITIALIZATION FAILED quot and said STOP some address here when I try again I ll post it I didn t have a reboot button so I had to cold restart I tried every boot mode available and safe mode gave me the same errors The only thing that works is the diagnostics partition of the hard drive It says all is well and everything surely isn t right The original operating system is on there and no recovery disk is included It shouldn t be a virus or a malware I have had no problems until now If the system is toast tell me what I should do to get some data off the drive I need some of that stuff as in almost life and death need but more like a money loss need nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

Greetings-
My wifes Dell Inspiron 4150 (Win XP Home, 1.7Ghz, 256 Megs Ram) has a problem with the screen. It flickers, or dims & then comes back to full brightness. I have tried to isolate when it does this ( on too long, too much cpu usage, ect.), but it doesnt seem to matter. I have noticed it seems to stop or improve when I unplug the power. Also, on a different note, I get error messages saying I should switch to another power supply or lose data (as if its running on Battery only when in fact its plugged in). I was wondering if a complete HD wipe & OS re-install would help. Anyone got any ideas? I searched the forum for other instances of this problem & didnt see anything. If this has been covered before, forgive me. Thanks for your time.

Buckaroo Banzai

Relevancy 60.2%

my laptop works perfectly but sometime  the screen dims and one cannot see anything. On start up also it gives this type of problem but I can see dell logo by flashing light on it. When i put windows  cd while starting the light comes and it works but again after hours it dims again . This has happened so many times. I did diagnostic tests and all came perfect . can anyone help what is exact problem

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19680856
Relevancy 60.2%

Hey everyone,

I'm working on A Dell Inspiron 1526 Laptop with Vista Home Premium On it. Ok I'm stuck, for when I plug it in, I hear fan go on, However NO SCREEN AT ALL, and No HDD light flickering, I had an extra HDD laying around so I popped it in to make sure it wasn't purely HDD related, still same scenario. Could it be the screen? But wouldn't I still get some sound if it was just the screen? (I turned up volume via keyboard volume button) Also No HDD Light at all, (Just power light, and occasionally battery light) could that mean HDD controller / MOBO is Bad? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-screen-or-hdd-light-will-not-go-on.1025874/
Relevancy 60.2%

My computer is running windows 8 and after I boot up I log in and instead of my desktop it takes me to a black screen but I can still see the cursor please help me

A:Dell Inspiron black screen

I'm wondering why you posted this in the General Security forum. Do you suspect malware?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-black-screen.1153859/
Relevancy 60.2%

I am running windows 8on a dell Inspiron and after it boots up I log in and instead of my desktop.....a black screen appears but I can see my cursor please help

A:Dell Inspiron black screen

closing duplicate, your other post is at https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-black-screen.1153859/. Please do not create duplicate posts for the same issue.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-black-screen.1153857/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi, I have a dell Inspiron. Recently, when I turned it on the screen was completely black. Also, the fan isn't running. Am I able to fix it myself? How much would it cost to get someone to fix it?

A:Dell Inspiron 15 black screen

Hi AND EH,
What is the exact system model? Does the system power on and stay on or does it go off automatically? Do you see any leds come on and stay on when you press the power button?
Try using a flash light and check if any dim display in visible.
Run the LCD bist - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG
While running the lcd test and the diags - swivel the lcd back and forth and see if the display comes on.
Also, try the onboard diags - press and hold the fn key + power button to turn on the system and it should initiate the diagnostics - check if any beeps are heard. This will help isolate the source of the issue.
Connect an external monitor and check if the display is seen.
Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.
If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ
Let us know if you have any other queries.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19983996
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a Dell inspiron laptop. I had it out working on school work for literally 10 minutes and out of nowhere it went black. Almost like it went dead but I know that wasn't the case because it was fully charged and I got no battery warning. I have tried to hold down the power button to reboot and nothing happens. Please help I need this laptop for school quickly

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/dell-inspiron-screen-blackout/14093.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a yr old Dell Inspiron The battery is kaput - Inspiron won't Dell screen on 1000 come and has been for a long time always run off a power cord now the laptop will not Dell Inspiron 1000 - screen won't come on boot up there are small green LED lights two on the front in the back they do come on when i turn on the power switch at least some of them I heard the hard drive spinning and the fan coming on just like it would boot up normally but then nothing everything stops then screen never comes on and its sits there with a couple LED lights on but nothing like its in stand-by This happened to me a year ago and i found a forum somewhere where everyone was having the same problem they took the computer apart removed something then put it all back together and it worked i just can t remember where i saw it at or what forum this seems to be a fairly common problem with the Dells If anyone can help me out here i d appreciate it i just bought a new laptop and the same day the Dell crapped out before i could transfer all my information to my new laptop Thanks in advance Brian nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 1000 - screen won't come on

your battery is probably completely dead. Some laptops will not boot with a dead battery but will boot with a battery that still holds a trickle charge.

replace the battery and see what happens. Also post in the correct forum next time (mobile computing.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1000-screen-wont-come-on.79933/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a Dell Inspiron 350, which has been very reliable. My wife shut it down while we were on vacation. Now when we try to get it to boot up from a cold start, the blue power light comes on, the fan runs, and it beeps at us, but never goes beyond that. I've tried the unplug/wait/plug back, and have no success. Any suggestions, or is it terminal? Would a new hard drive be worth putting in? Thanks

A:Dell Inspiron 350 Won't Display Anything on Screen

Welcome to TSG,

Does it beep once or more than once? Have you tried another monitor? Start by trying another monitor.

The hard drive is not the issue here as a hard drive is not an essential component of the PC and not required for for video output which is basic functionality.
Also, I've changed the title of the thread from your name to a more meaningful one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-350-wont-display-anything-on-screen.1074486/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a dell inspiron 2200 which loads up to the windows xp booting screen with the bar scrolling across. after that it goes to a black screen with the pointer visible and nothing happens. I can move the pointer around but no log in screen, nothing. What should I do?

A:Dell Inspiron Black screen

can you boot into safe mode possibly?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-black-screen.578938/
Relevancy 59.77%

Problem: Dell Inspiron 1420 Blank Screen

-Expired Warranty

-Turn on laptop, blank screen, backlight still works.

-Hard-drive light blinks a bit but its hard to tell if the OS is actually loading. I can't hear any start-up noises but I don't know if the laptop is muted or not.

-Only tried removing battery, hard reset, didn't work.

Please help me. If you need more info, just ask! Thanks!

A:Dell Inspiron 1420 Blank Screen

I thinks it's my battery ( this battery can no longer provide sufficient power to your system and needs to be replaced.) do you guys thinks that is why its not working ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-inspiron-1420-blank-screen-676816.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have the laptop model inspiron 15R-5521 with service tag <Service Tag: Removed as per privacy policy>, and would like to replace the touchscreen. The screen has two groups of vertical white lines, which do not appear on an external monitor, but these lines do appear on the LCD BIST test on all colors, except for white. The screen's glass is also cracked in a few places.
Firstly, can I purchase and install only a replacement glass for the screen? Alternatively, would it be possible to entirely replace the touchscreen with a non-touchscreen, matte display?

A:DELL inspiron 15R-5521 screen replacement

Hi JG12345,
As there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ
If you wish to replace the parts yourself, then check this link - http://bit.ly/2cZX70m 
If you choose to replace the screen with non touch / matte screen - you would need to replace the LCD backcover with a compatible one designed for non touch functionality.
Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19992847
Relevancy 59.77%

Hey all new to the forum and hope you can help My laptop is about - years old and has been working fine I pulled a bone headed move a while back and left the car window down and the computer got rained on I dryed it as best I could and had my brother in law take it apart to check for moisture He found none inside and powered it up It worked fine for a couple of 1100 Inspiron problem Dell screen days When I picked it up from him I took it to work and powered it up The power lights come on and you can hear it booting up However the screen is black If you look very close you can see the windows logo as it all boots up but it is very very dim almost can t see it at all Aside from the possible moisture problem has any one experienced these symptoms Any ideas are welcome as I really don t have the money to just buy a new one My brother in law is a tv repair guy and could most likely make the repair if we just knew where to start I thank you in advance and hope to here from you soon Larry nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 1100 screen problem

It's the Inverter board (which happens to be high voltage, and easily damaged hardware) behind the bezel of the screen. You will need to replace it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1100-screen-problem.101890/
Relevancy 59.77%

My daughter has a Dell Insprion 8100 notebook running Windows XP Home Edition. When she started the computer this morning the screen remains blank although the PC appears to be starting up - can't tell what's happening since the screen is blank although the disk is being accessed as evidenced by the flashing keyboard lights. The problem seems to have started when she plugged in the battery charger. At first, the PC would start under battery power normally, but that has stopped. Even under battery power the symptom is the same - a blank screen that flashes intermittently, but displays nothing else. Can someone offer some advice. Of course she is scheduled to go back to college next week and uses her notebook extensively. Thanks.

A:Help with a blank screen on a Dell Inspiron 8100

JR,

When it does "Flash" is there anything to be seen on the screen??

There have been several Posts lately concerning failed 'backlights' on LCD displays.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-a-blank-screen-on-a-dell-inspiron-8100.264674/
Relevancy 59.77%

Having some issues with my Inspiron 1520... I had hooked it up to an external display via the S-Video output, went through the normal routine except this time the display did not show up on the TV. I had to restart the computer using the power button, but when it restarted the screen no longer shows up, just get a blank black screen. The Power and Numlock displays are lit up and I've tried connecting to the TV again as well as to a exernal monitor to no avail.

I've had a lot of problems with the video card prior to this and I've had it replaced once and unfortunately my warranty is expired. Just trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue or a problem with the external options. Any help is appreciated.

Running on Windows Vista with a 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8600M GT GPU.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-1520-screen-blank.759353/
Relevancy 59.77%

We bought our son this laptop for xmas using windows vista dell screen 1521 blue on inspiron home premium Recently he got a blue screen stating that windows shut down to blue screen on dell inspiron 1521 prevent damage to computer IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL and if this is the first time this has happened restart computer and if it appears again follow these steps Check if any new blue screen on dell inspiron 1521 hardware or software was installed properly if problem continues remove any newly installed hard or software or disable BIOS memory option blue screen on dell inspiron 1521 such as caching or shadowing etc etc Stop x A x x B x x CE B F collecting data for crash dump dumping physical memory to disk etc I did try to restart and I could get to desktop but could not get online even though I was connected He had been using a computer game from a disc so I removed the software but it didn t help I finally tried to call Dell today but they wanted a credit card and for me even to tell anyone what the problem was I went through the book that came with the laptop and connected to internet using safemode with networking capability and here I am I found this site and thought I would give it a shot If any kind person can give me any sort of help I sure would appreciate it April M nbsp

A:blue screen on dell inspiron 1521

Click D1: on the right side of this web page for more info on that error.

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

also:
go to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the .dmp files in there and zip them up, attach the zip file in your next post using the "Go Advanced" button, then click the paper clip icon to attach the zip.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-on-dell-inspiron-1521.847313/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a dell inspiron 9100 with windows xp home and i was having this problem with my screen being blank when i booted it, you could hear the hard drive making noises but the screen was blank. The screen would eventually come on after waiting a while and rebooting a few times. Now the screen will not turn on at all, i've checked the lid close button and that isnt stuck. My only thoughts are that its the video card, but im just hoping it isnt. If anyone has any thoughts let me know.

A:Dell Inspiron 9100 screen blank

if this is some kind of malware issue combinate with hardware
why don't you try a fresh clean instalation of windows?

then if the problem persist, the problem will be on the screen alone
the next step will be open your laptop and make sure the connectors
are right connected.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-9100-screen-blank.112894/
Relevancy 59.77%

Which combination of keys do I use for a screen shot on the Dell Inspiron 2200?

A:Dell Inspiron 2200 Screen Shot

You can capture a screen shot on any Windows computer by hitting Print Screen key. (look on top row, right of function keys). Some keyboards might abbreviate it something like PrtSc. This "copies" the screen image. Then just Paste it into a program like Start->Accessories->Paint

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-2200-screen-shot.145047/
Relevancy 59.77%

So I have a Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop and just recently its started to freeze up upon opening it up after I closed it to put it into sleep mode. I looked it up but I couldn't really find any fixes.. any help?

A:Dell Inspiron Black screen upon reopening?

I had a similar problem with my Ispiron 1545. I disabled sleep mode under power options in control panel.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-black-screen-upon-reopening.960357/
Relevancy 59.77%

My inspiron 15-3552 is not booting up. When ever I turn it on it does not boot pass the Dell screen. When ever I do a diagnostic test, it states that every thing is operating properly yet it is not passing the Dell Screen when it is booting up. 

Please help.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19989858
Relevancy 59.77%

My Inspiron Mini netbook has suddenly had its screen colors whacked out. This just started happening today. All of the sudden, all white (#FFFFFF) becomes pink (as in the standard transparent color) and all black (#000000) becomes green. This only happens to pixels that are exactly white or black.

Also, the screen resolution is messed up somehow - I set it to the usual setting of 1024x768, but the screen stretches beyond the bottom of the screen - only the top half of the start menu shows up at the bottom left.

I have two operating systems, and this problem occurs in both OS's and in the BIOS.

Finally, this problem occasionally goes away for up to a few seconds at a time, only to return the same way. This started happening while browsing the web.

I'm sure this is a hardware problem because it happens no matter what software is running.

Please help!

A:Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Screen Problems

I just had the exact same thing happen to my Mini a couple days ago. I see you haven't gotten a response here, but maybe you've come across a solution by now?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-mini-10-screen-problems.952070/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have read all the posts and ordered a new inverter. It was actually very easy to change the inverter, but alas. After changing the inverter the screen still goes 'black' after a few minutes. It actually goes very very dim. I can barely see the outline of things on the screen. So, if the inverter was not the problem, what is the next thing I can try?

A:Dell Inspiron 6000 Screen Goes Black

Have you tried running an external monitor? Is it normal or does it go dim too?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6000-screen-goes-black.134979/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi Folks
about a month ago my all in one 2310 (1 year old) started badly flickering for about 2 minutes.
I checked the driver updates - all hunky dory.
Ran the pc checks - hard and software - nothing found.
The flickering disappeared but is now back big time -daily  - today it took about an hour to stop.I booted ran in safe mode but was just the same.I logged onto with the admin account but didnt improve.
For me it looks like a cable perhaps is loose inside the pc but not sure I want to open it up.
Any ideas ?

Dave

A:Bad screen flickering on a Dell Inspiron All In One 2310

Hi dave63,
The system LCD screen or the Video card on the computer may have gone bad. To determine the same lets follow the steps below:
(1) Press and hold down the power button along with the ?D? key on the keyboard. Please ensure you release them both at the same time.
(2) This will bring up a grey screen, followed by red, then blue, then green, and White which allows you to inspect the entire LCD for color purity on each screen. It also helps us better identify defects such as, cracks in the LCD or stuck pixels that may not be apparent in a normal viewing mode.
If the computer fails the test, then the LCD screen will need to be replaced. However, if the test passes, then the Video card will need to be replaced. Please write back with the results

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19464122
Relevancy 59.77%

My daughter has a Dell Inspiron MINI with Windows XP on it.

I turn it on and get the "Dell" greeting........then the "Windows XP" logo with the scrolly thing along the bottom that looks like it's loading windows. then bang

A blue screen I have never seen before.

It says the following.

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
assistance.

Anyone have any idea what this means?

I tried to boot up in Safe Mode..........same message

A:Dell Inspiron MINI - blue screen i have never seen before?

Microsoft has a tool that can analyze blue screen error files left in the minidump folder... C: > WINDOWS > MiniDump >

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...nstallx86.mspx
Usually a corrupted driver. Running chkdsk /r from the command prompt might fix it. Hit F8 to access advanced options menu then select command prompt, and type chkdsk /r and hit enter.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dell-inspiron-mini-blue-screen-i-have-never-seen-before-470242.html
Relevancy 59.77%

when i try to log into my dell inspiron 1525 windows vista - i get a blank screen- it was working yesterday - do i need to reload my operating system? I hit f-11 and got a repair screen - that ran for 3 hours and nothing happened.

A:dell inspiron 1525 - blank screen

Do you see the Dell logo on start up or just a blank screen?
If it's just blank try hooking it up to an external monitor.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-inspiron-1525-blank-screen-298319.html
Relevancy 59.77%

my laptop suddenly become black but lcd light it on.... i'm also hear sound the windows boot normally but no image/video at all.... i tried to connect another monitor still no image/video just appear error massage 'Out Of Range' then i try another monitor also error massage ' please adjust refresh rate '... so actually what problem here my monitor or gpu??

A:Dell Inspiron 1420 black screen

Originally Posted by dextrozine

my laptop suddenly become black but lcd light it on.... i'm also hear sound the windows boot normally but no image/video at all.... i tried to connect another monitor still no image/video just appear error massage 'Out Of Range' then i try another monitor also error massage ' please adjust refresh rate '... so actually what problem here my monitor or gpu??

Hi and welcome

You need to boot into safe mode (F8) once there adjust your monitot to a lower resolution and refresh rate

Let us know if that doesnt help
Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/265944-dell-inspiron-1420-black-screen.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. I have it connected to a samsung lcd tv through the hdmi port to watch movies. Yesterday I connected the hdmi lead but the tv didn't detect a signal. So I tried a system reboot. The screen on the laptop lights up as in you can see the back light working but thats the limit to it. The laptop sounds like it is loading fine. dvd drive running hard drive working lights flashing etc. Anyone with any clues as to what the problem could be, and a possible solution would be very much appreciated.

A:Dell inspiron 1525 screen not working HELP!!

Tony, so the problem is your laptop is turned on, but the laptop screen isn't displaying an image?

Disconnect the HDMI cable, first. Look across your top row of keys on the keyboard. Tap the key with an icon on it that looks like a computer screen, then wait a second and see if your screen lights up It may be the F8 key, not sure. On some models you have to hold down the Fn key while you tap the F8 key. That toggles your LCD screen on and off.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-inspiron-1525-screen-not-working-help-588505.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,

Have had this notebook for a while and have never had any problems, until this morning!

Switched on as normal but NOTHING on the screen!! - running from mains power and all lights seem to be working ok.

Can't even switch it off, the stand by light just stays on.

Unable to contact DELL support until Monday, hoping someone can please help.

Many thanks,

Brian
UK

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-9400-blank-screen.662281/
Relevancy 59.77%

I spent a few hours last night searching this as well as other forums and I just couldn t find the answer to my questions I hate to be redundant but I really need some advice Heres the skinny I have a Dell Inspiron running Dell Death of Screen Black Help! Inspiron - - Windows that is roughly a year and a half old out of warranty Last night while using it a bunch of error messages popped up looked a lot like the kind of pop-ups associated with malware viruses I ve seen in Dell Inspiron - Black Screen of Death - Help! the past and before I could read them my computer shut down Upon restarting my computer it Dell Inspiron - Black Screen of Death - Help! went to the Dell splash screen and then went to a blank black screen backlit I ve tried a number of things that I ve read about on other forums to no avail I tried pulling the battery holding the power button for Dell Inspiron - Black Screen of Death - Help! - seconds and then restarting - nothing I tried starting in safe mode but pressing F doesn t work The only buttons that seem to work are F and F I ran the Pre-boot System Assessment quot and everything passes normally I took the bottom cover off and pulled both my HDD and RAm and reinstalled them to make sure they were seated correctly - nothing I plugged in another monitor to see if it was just the screen and the other monitor showed the same black screen What is my next move Any suggestions would be helpful As I have a lot of files on my laptop that I would hate to lose I plan on hooking up the HDD from my laptop to my desktop If I have the HDD from my laptop hooked up in this way would it be prudent to run a scan of the drive to see if there is something I can repair Due to recent flooding all the discs that came with my Dell were lost So I don t have those Any advice would be helpful

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/426292/dell-inspiron-black-screen-of-death-help/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi, I have been helping a friend to remove unnecessary software from her Dell pc. Since I did this it stalls at the 'welcome' screen after she inputs her password. If I press Ctrl/alt/del briefly it will continue to load as normal. I have unchecked and stopped various programmes that might be slowing it up eg java jusched.exe, adobe updater, and removed others that are not needed such as Works, orange preload, roxio, quickset, net waiting. The hard drive seems to run very slowly. I have also installed and run ccleaner and eusing reg cleaner, which I have used on my own machine for some time.

It has Hijackthis on the machine, but I am not sure how to upload a log to this site, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 stalls at welcome screen

quicksetClick to expand...

This is critical Dell software for the notebook, normally installed first when a clean install of XP is done.

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=209859

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-stalls-at-welcome-screen.871486/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello Thank you for taking the time to view this post I am working on a laptop for a friend to try and fix the black screen I am trying to determine if the hard drive needs to be replace There was Dell Screen Black 0xc0000034 Inspiron an Error x and wouldn't let me get into safe mode or anything else So first I made a bootable usb which got me to the partition Dell Inspiron Black Screen 0xc0000034 format section But it wouldn't complete after following microsoft's instructions That didn't work cause now there are no disks showing Then I went into CMD and listed the disk's had no media Ok so I selected it to clean which gave me quot Virtual Disk Service error There is no media in the device quot then I tired to create a partition primary which gave me quot No usable free extent could be found quot Now I am stuck thinking it may need a new hard drive What do you think Side note I am not doing this for profit ftr also I didn't go straight to the forum I tired to do as much research as possible before coming here Specs Windows bit home prem Dell Inspiron N I really appreciate any helpful information Thank you very much for your time

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/387242-dell-inspiron-black-screen-0xc0000034.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop with the screen remaining black when I turn it on.
It works fine with an extrenal monitor. How do I trouble shoot it to figure what is acturally
wrong with the screen?
I would like to know if it has bad inverter or it is a bad screen or what?
Thank you,

Relevancy 59.77%

Hello,
I have Dell Inspiron 15 7548, recently I am experiencing an issue in which my laptop screen suddenly becomes fuzzy with pink and green horizontal lines and the screen becomes not responsive. I have to restart the laptop to use it again. This issue appears randomly without any warning and i am getting to much irritated with this. 
My laptop screen is 4K with touch support.
Thanks,
Moeez

A:Dell Inspiron 15 7548 fuzzy screen come and go

Hi MOOEEZ313,
Does the system overheat? Does this happen with or without the adapter connected? Are there any bluescreens / system crashes? What applications are you using when the issue occurs?
Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/2dl5Cp4- reinstall the video drivers and check.
If the issue is not resolved, run a stress test on the system - http://dell.to/1NEc1Y4
Connect an external monitor and check if the issue is seen on both external display and the LCD.
Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.
Run the LCD bist - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG - swivel the screen and check if the issue reoccurs.
If the system is under warranty, Please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name, Phone#, Address and Email). If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19992959
Relevancy 59.77%

When I tried to turn my Inspiron 1525 on today, the unexpected shut down and start windows normally messages came up. I pressed enter and the computed screen turned black, but the cursor was visible. I turned the computer off and then back on and it went through the dell screen I usually see when turning on, then one that said resuming windows, then again it just went to black with the cursor visible. Any suggestions?? Thanks!! I should also add that I am fairly basic when it comes to computers, so straightfoward answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-inspiron-1525-screen-problem-462007.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hey, looking for some help with my laptop.  Lately it has had this problem of going to the lock screen while I'm using it.  I have looked into the power options and set them to Never on all options.  Any help with what this might be and how to fix it would be great! Thanks for everything!
~Josh

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19974225
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi, For couple of days now my Dell Inpiron One 2020 screen goes blank. but the computer still running. I don't know what could be the problem. Is there anyone experienced this? any solutions? Thanks

A:blank screen on Dell Inspiron one 2020

Hi gogreenandgold21, Welcome to the Dell Community Forum. Please try the following mentioned steps to identify the hardware functionality. 1. Please shut down the computer, remove all connected devices like Power cable, USB devices and press and hold Power button for 40 seconds 2. Restart the computer and Tap F12, select the option Diagnostics 3. Please run a complete Diagnostics on your computer and make a note of any error message. 4. If the screen still displays a black screen, please try connecting an External Monitor and let us know if everything else works fine. 5. If you’re able to boot into the system, please try updating the BIOS and Video drivers from this link http://dell.to/1hcxG98
Please complete all these steps and revert us with the results.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19587961
Relevancy 59.77%

My dell screen has turned white. I can hear windows booting in the background but unable to view on screen. Have tried an external monitor but get no visual display. Do anyone know what could be my problem?

A:Help with Dell Inspiron 1100 screen problems

Hi

First off when you connect the external monitor do you press the relevant key combination to enable the monitor, on most laptops its the FN key (bottom row on the left) and then one of the "F" keys, on my acer its F5, on my other dell its F8.

As for the white screen this maybe caused by the screen invertor failing or the screen itself failing, most invertors (inverters) can be bought for about fifteen pounds from ebay, screens however can cost upwards of £60.

It could also be a loose connection and would require the stripping down of the laptop to get to the ribbon connector that joins the screen to the base unit.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-dell-inspiron-1100-screen-problems.132686/
Relevancy 59.77%

My Dell Inspiron 2320 just shows a white screen on switching on - there appears to be disk activity but nothing on the screen,,,,, any suggestions please?
Thanks

A:Dell Inspiron One 2320 White screen

Connect an external monitor to see if your video card has died.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19667644
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello all I received a trojan horse dropper bravix B and had to reformat the hard drive I used the OS disc and the drivers disc provided I loaded the drivers in the sequence advised by dell Following this the machine did not work properly so i downloaded the drivers using the computer tag this included a BIOS update All Inspiron 1501 Dell screen problem now appears ok except the screen The screen appears to have gone to wide screen the Dell Inspiron 1501 screen problem bbc web site used to have to blank strips either side and now it is on the whole screen distorting the picture The screen I have is Dell Inspiron 1501 screen problem a quot wide screen XGA Dell Inspiron 1501 screen problem TFT with truelife X When i go into display properties on the control pannel this is what I see SETTINGS Screen resolution I am unable to adjust this other than to either min x or max x There is no middle adjustment like on my wife s laptop ADVANCED General- Normal size DPI Adaptor- Information Chip type DAC Type Mem Size Adaptor string DIOS info all have unavailable next to them PROPERTIES- General tab VgaSave Device Type-Non plug and play drivers Manufaturer- unknown Location- unknown The device is working properly Drivers tab Service name- VgaSave Display name- VgaSave Status- Stated Startup- System Resourse tab-Resourse settings I O Range B - BB I O Range E - DF Memory- A B- BFFFF all these under resourse appear to have a quot No entry sign to the left Conflicting device list Include all listed in the resourse settings above with quot used by PCI to PCI bridge quot written next to them MONITOR Monitor type- Default monitor Screen refresh rate- Use Hardware default settings TROUBLESHOOT Hardware acceleration set on full I hope that with this info that you can assist me in putting things with my screen back as it was Thanking you in anticipation Bob No worries I have fixed it I went into device manager and there was one that was not working I used the widows to search for a compatible one and it fixed it Regards Bab nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 1501 screen problem

Okay, I'm new to this forum and only moderately computer literate. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 that I had to completely reformat after a failed Vista update completely shut down my computer. After a good friend help me get my stuff using DOS, we had to completely reinstall with the CDs that came with the computer. Now when I view something like a video the screen will either go black or look like wallpaper and not come back on. I have to completely shut down and then turn it back on. Can anyone help me with this problem? I have updated the graphics driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1501-screen-problem.112225/
Relevancy 59.77%

hi all i m new to the site I m a young computer technician and i specialize more in desktop computers rather than laptops but i ve been getting many laptops this days I got here a dell inspiron problem is that when powering on screen gets beige is not white or gray but beige theres no image there rather than that color if i plug in a monitor 8000 Beige inspiron on Dell Screen i can perfectly see dell logo and etc there but nothing on the laptop screen i ve checked the connections in the video card which is an ATi one and there s no scratches or cuts or anything visibly damaged i took the screen out and everything is connected just that a yellow tape that sticks the video data cable to the back of the screen is slightly removed as i know from the owner he took it to another tecnician before for other problem this guy screwed it Beige Screen on Dell inspiron 8000 up more returning it with the screen this way anyway i was wondering is this screen damaged for good taking the fact that cables look good and that i have video in the monitor output or could there be a problem with the ATi card connector doesn t look in bad shape either Thanks for any comment nbsp

A:Beige Screen on Dell inspiron 8000

sounds to me like the backlight has gone. Try looking at the screen under both bright and low light to see if you can see an image - if you can this would confirm the diagnosis.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/beige-screen-on-dell-inspiron-8000.86021/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello Few month ago my motherboard had passed away so I ve decided to order new one for blank 7720 screen Dell inspiron my inspiron R se Few days Dell inspiron 7720 blank screen ago I ve assembled it and hopped that everything will be ok but not When I turn on my laptop I see all the lights are turned on indicators but the screen is black and blank the fan isn t working I ve turned off the laptop and held the power button for - sec and the laptop had turned on but stucked on the windows logon screen and nothing happens I turned the laptop off again and it hadn t turned on again with the same symptom from the beginning black screen after few attempts to turn it on I ve managed to turn it on again and ran the diagnostics the check was successful and the fan was working although the cpu temp was very high c also the display check was successful D pressing what it can be Maybe the bios need to be updated but if so how can I do it if I m not able to run windows Please help

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19992990
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,
so its my friend's laptop, I upgraded her to windows 7 about a month ago. I got her all the latest drivers or vista drivers if there werent any for 7. So she said today, she was deleting some mp3s and then the screen just went black. So she turned the device off, then back on. The fans and blue power light will turn on with the device, but the display is still off. Any ideas or insight would be highly appreciated

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-issues-with-dell-inspiron-1420.880981/
Relevancy 59.77%

My Fiancee has been having some trouble with her laptop screen. The screen would be fine for a little while, and without warning, the screen would fade to black. It becomes completely unresponsive, and she would have to perform a hard restart. This issue has become more and more frequent. Has anyone else experienced this issue, or have an idea of what could be happening? I would replace the screen for her, but what if it's more than just the screen, or something else?

A:Screen Fades - Dell Inspiron 15 7547

I am sorry to read that you are having this problem.   I suggest running diagnostics before replacing any parts, especially if you are able to resolve the issue by a hard restart.   
As another test I suggest making sure that the AC adapter is attached, and that the Windows power plan has been set to "High Performance" (press the windows  and x keys together, choose power options, power plans, advanced and then High Performance). 
Check the environment where the notebook is being used,  does it behave the same where no matter where it is being used, or only seems to happen at specific areas.
Let me know if having the power hooked up all of the time makes a difference and the results of the diagnostics and we can go from there. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19982533
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi all
Initially launching windows result in error message ,"NTLDR is missing" as The recovery repair feature couldn't help, we opted for more radical solution nd rebuilt the bootloader using the prompt command from scratch. Now when rebooting screen start loading nd then go blank with cursor..when I press the Dell media command "MD PARTITION MISSING" comes up...
I m trying to avoid reinstalling vista nd loosing my personal files so any advice to help reboot my laptop or somehow safeguard my files would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
B

A:dell inspiron 1720 with black screen

Welcome
Reading your post indicates that your primary concern is your files. Back them up with Ubuntu. If you cannot install Ubuntu it probably means that you have hardware problems. The only way to safeguard your stuff would be to remove the Hard Drive and put in another computer.
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
Anything done to fix a Black Screen may cause loss of your documents. Lets save your stuff, first.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/296125-dell-inspiron-1720-black-screen.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,
so its my friend's laptop, I upgraded her to windows 7 about a month ago. I got her all the latest drivers or vista drivers if there werent any for 7. So she said today, she was deleting some mp3s and then the screen just went black. So she turned the device off, then back on. The fans and blue power light will turn on with the device, but the display is still off. Any ideas or insight would be highly appreciated

A:Screen Issues with Dell Inspiron 1420

Try to connect an external monitor to the laptop and see if you can get the display to appear.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-issues-with-dell-inspiron-1420.881102/
Relevancy 59.77%

Was Given a computer and asked to wipe out hard drive so he can give his old laptop to his mother

Put in windows 7 CD and tried to do factory reset from control panel

when the system reset for the first time i got an error saying it cannot boot press ctrl-alt delete to restart

did that and went to bios changed boot to CD first with windows 7 CD in( iso burned from windows website)

now it gets passed the windows login icon and just goes to a black screen with the cursor

no matter what i do in the F8 screen system restore safe mode etc. it still brings me to the same screen

just trying to get a factory restore of windows 7 and i am at a loss

A:Black Screen on Dell Inspiron 1545

Hi try this Startup Repair - Windows 7 Help Forums and post back with the result

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-on-dell-inspiron-1545-a-706009.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi everyone, I'm new here, don't know much about computers, and I need help today. My 1 year old Dell Inspiron 518 came with Vista Home PremiumX64, and the warranty expired a week ago. They won't talk to me without charge.

I have a blue screen. One error was a Stop 0x00000050, Fatal System Error c0000221 - Unknown Hard Error\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll. Another blue screen error read, 0xc004D301 Security Processor reported the trusted data store was tampered.

I was able to go under the Boot Menu and run a diagnostic. It said Error Code 2000-0123 (Memory Integrity Test Failed).

I haven't been able to get Windows to load at all, nothing I try is working, and I don't want to spend money for servicemen to come in. Anything I can do that's not too involved?

Thanks very much for any advice or info!

A:Blue Screen on Dell 518 Inspiron with Vistax64

Hi,

It is very unfortunate that your warranty expired a week ago. Have you tried Safe Mode? If you can access it, can you please navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump, zip up the contents of that folder and upload it to your next post. Then we can analyse it properly for you.

All your Stop codes are different and point to different problems, but can you re-run Memory Test, and give us the full results including Address. Unfortunately, it sounds like one of your sticks of RAM has broken.

Have you installed any modifications to Windows. If you can access Safe Mode, I would strongly advise running your anti-virus scanner and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes.org

Sorry,

Richard

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/269133-blue-screen-dell-518-inspiron-vistax64.html
Relevancy 59.77%

hi,
I have Dell inspiron N5010 laptop, two days back screen is suddenly gone blank. when I power on the laptop the power button and notification lights are glowing, fan is also working but nothing come on the screen. I tried to go to BIOS but BIOS is not opening also not even Dell logo is coming on startup. what is the problem with my laptop. can anyone help me with this issue
Thanks,
Manjeet Singh

A:Dell Inspiron N5010 screen gone blank

Hi manjeetsingh13,
Thank you for reaching to Dell Community Forum.
Please connect an external monitor and check if you get any display.
Do you hear any beeps from the system?
Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email.
(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19995422
Relevancy 59.77%
Relevancy 59.77%

My Dell laptop fell off of the surface it was on and the screen hit a piece of furniture on the way down thankfully the floor was carpeted The screen is obviously shot When I turn it on the screen is a mess of pixels that s the only way I can think of to describe it aside from a small place at the top The small seemingly undamaged part of the screen at the top just displays a message to the effect that Windows XP can t boot up due to a hardware error and the computer must be shut down or restarted Two questions Assuming nothing else besides the screen was damaged will be a broken screen cause Windows to refuse to boot Also if I m able to hook up an external CRT monitor do I have Dell 2200-Busted Inspiron LCD Screen to do anything to make the laptop find the monitor It seems that I recall something about having to use one of the F keys plus Fn for that nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 2200-Busted LCD Screen

For question one, try to plug the laptop into an external monitor and see if it boots up. You might have to press function (Fn) and f8 at the same time until something comes up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-2200-busted-lcd-screen.106977/