Windows Support Forum

BIOS 'interact' with hard drive/OS files

Q: BIOS 'interact' with hard drive/OS files

So I use a hard drive tray which usually works fine drive/OS with files 'interact' BIOS hard but every couple of months I ll get no boot no Bios just a black screen and various led s You can see a previous post at http www techspot com community topics stumper-no-bios-or-video but Saturday I had my mouse BIOS 'interact' with hard drive/OS files freeze and couldn t get any control Re-boot attempt gave a DMI pool data error Surfing yields a dozen possible reasons for that error Ended up re-setting the Bios solved I use b XP and rarely Linux Mint all on different drives The guy who helped me says Bios interacts with data in the MBR on the different drives I BIOS 'interact' with hard drive/OS files have never read anything stating Bios can get mixed up due to which hard drive or OS as Bios passes control off to MBR and then OS regardless of which sata cable being used I agree the drive tray must be confusing the Bios but don t understand how Recently I haven t even had Mint installed so I don t think the grub is a culprit Anyone know how using a tray and different drives could change settings in Bios Goes against what I learned nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: BIOS 'interact' with hard drive/OS files

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: BIOS 'interact' with hard drive/OS files

The Boot sequence of a PC has this (legacy) sequence of events

Power On Self Test (POST) occurs
The video card is found
Secondary rom' are found and executed (eg IDE/ATA,...)
Bios vga display
System inventory of the devices occurs
PnP devices are found
Using the Boot sequence map in the BIOS, a device that is ready and bootable is found
the MBR is read if found
and the BOOT.ini processed to locate the kernel
ELSE FAIL
So the list of ready devices are sampled to find a MBR.
For UEFI support, the BIOS looks for the /boot partition.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-interact-with-hard-drive-os-files.195508/
Relevancy 59.34%

BIOS AMD v I have an IDE hard drive that slides in and out of the computer to connect disconnect from the IDE cable When I had two internal hard drives it booted up using the correct C regardless of whether the removeable hard drive was in or out I have now installed a third internal hard drive that contains the C that it should boot from One of the other drives has a mangled XP Pro OS that does not function well enough to use So I installed XP on the drive that I just installed Problem is that when I set the Boot Settings hard disk drive to be the new hd while the removeable drive is plugged in it all works the way I want it and BIOS the drive hard hard drive settings removeable to However if after having backed up to the removeable drive I remove it BIOS hard drive settings and the removeable hard drive for safe storage the computer will then boot up from the wrong hd When checking in the BIOS setup I see that the Hard Disk Drive setting has been changed I just want it to stay with what I specified and not change things on its own Is this possible nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-hard-drive-settings-and-the-removeable-hard-drive.818288/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hey guys, I was working with my grandfathers computer. The computer would not boot, it kept getting the BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume" At the top. Annoyed, I decided I was going to just back up whatever files were on it (Just his favorites, he has absolutely no documents or anything else)..by plugging his HD into my home PC as a slave and copying them to my flashdrive. Then I would reinstall XP Home on his Desktop, and use the flashdrive to put back his files...Sounds easy enough right? NO!!!!.....Problem is, his user account on the computer (Ralph), was Password Protected so now when I try to access any of his files (using Windows 7) I get a message saying Access Is Denied. How do I get around this. It is not possible to boot his old computer to take off the password. Are his files recoverable?
Thanks for any help!

A:Recovering hard drive files from unbootable, password protected hard drive?

You don't have to do all that to overcome an unmountable boot volume error...try running chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter assigned by XP and with spaces between k and X: and X: and /) and then hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251609/recovering-hard-drive-files-from-unbootable-password-protected-hard-drive/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have a backup drive that we had used for for a while (WD 6000aak), previously in an external drive enclosure. I connected it today via USB to find that the computer has the driver installed, the drive appears in the Devices list, but it does not show in My Computer. In "Disk Management" the drive appears but is not assigned a drive letter. Also, all the options for the volumes are greyed out and cannot be selected - thus I cannot assign a drive letter.

I have tried this on multiple computers. I have also removed it from the enclosure and connected the drive via SATA... the result is identical. I checked the bios and the drive appears there.

The drive does spin when powering up. It is hot (even though it cannot really be accessed).

Any suggestions? Is this drive done?

A:Hard drive installed, shows in Drive Mngmnt, in Bios, but not in Comp.

Go to Disk Management, in the bottom part of the screen, right click the drive, select 'change drive letter or path', next window select add, next window select a drive letter from the drop down box. For an external drive it's best to use a letter lower in the alphabet. If disk management wants to initialize and format it, don't do it if there is data on it you don't want to lose. If no data or if you don't care, go ahead. It will show in computer when a drive letter is assigned.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/336639-hard-drive-installed-shows-drive-mngmnt-bios-but-not-comp.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi. I have a virus infected sata hard drive with windows 7 on it. It has the win 7 anti virus 2012 on it, and it's a cybercriminal virus. I have lots of files I want to transfer to the new sata drive. I already have windows 7 installed on the new drive. How do I get the files from the bad drive to the new one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:How do I transfer files from bad sata hard drive to new hard drive

You could make your own external HD, & than copy/paste over.
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...ard-drive.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/204252-how-do-i-transfer-files-bad-sata-hard-drive-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 55.9%

A friend of mine has asked me to transfer some music and picture files from his old IDE hard Drive in a HP Pavillion System, to his new SATA hard drive in his new Dell System, it sounds like it should be a fairly simple process, but my question is, what is the best way to just copy these files and not the entire hard disk?

Relevancy 55.9%

I just got a new comp and want to move my Galaxies and Godfather game files from one drive to the other.

I am wondering if anyone knows how get this to work, or, get it so i can run the program from a different drive than my primary drive.

thanks

Relevancy 55.9%

nbsp cant boot from HDD nor nbsp CDrom nbsp nbsp nbsp st drive nbsp none nd drive none er drive hitachi nbsp nbsp HDP GLA th drive Atapi nbsp DVD A DH S th drive none th drive none nbsp I have NOT nbsp installed any new hardware other than keyboard and mouse nbsp thus nbsp the machine came with hdd plugged into nbsp er drive nbsp nbsp what I have done nbsp partition nbsp nfts formated tried to reinstall nbsp nbsp Vista original OS nbsp but the PC does not nbsp boot from CD rom nbsp nor from Hard Disc nbsp boot options nbsp are configurated nbsp nbsp drive boot... position, 3rd BIOS in indicates hard Drive can't CD HDD CD HDD nbsp Bios does not nbsp have USB nbsp boot nbsp option nbsp nbsp BIOS indicates hard drive in 3rd Drive position, can't boot... Hp nbsp nbsp bootable nbsp diagnostics nbsp reported no nbsp problem with the hardware nbsp nbsp Hiren nbsp disc nbsp boots fine nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp xp from hiren runs sometimes but others there is a blue screen IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUALPartition wizard bootable runs fine nbsp so my conclusion is nbsp nbsp CDrom drive works nbsp seems that HDD is nbsp not damaged nbsp nbsp probably BIOS indicates hard drive in 3rd Drive position, can't boot... the nbsp mbr dissapeard nbsp nbsp the nbsp hdd adapter nbsp is nbsp not nbsp available nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp

A:BIOS indicates hard drive in 3rd Drive position, can't boot...

Change the boot option to HD first.  Change the HD to 1st drive. Save settings.What do you mean by "the  hdd adapter  is  not  available"?What partition on Drive 0 did you format? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/BIOS-indicates-hard-drive-in-3rd-Drive-position-can-t-boot/td-p/5698212
Relevancy 55.9%

I just put together a new PC. I used the Foxconn 925xe7aa motherboard. When I boot up the BIOS recognizes my hard drive which is a 300 GB Seagate but does not recognize my DVD burner which is a LITE-ON SHM-165H6S. I know the DVD burner works because I switched the DVD burner to the IDE 1 slot on the M/B and it loaded the Windows installation. Also I can see in the boot-up sequence that it has the DVD burner listed as Drive 0 but in the BIOS it has the hard drive listed as Drive 0. I have tried many things and none seem to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 55.47%

Ok, so I got a new asus P8z68-V pro motherboard.
Im re-using my current 750gb SATA drive.
I plugged it into the sata port, and start the computer.

When it starts it says "no hard drive is detected!"

I go into the bios, and on the bottom it has a disk drive, and a SATA drive.
It recognizes that the sata drive is there, but when i go to start up it says no hard drive is detected.

I have tried a few different sata ports and it is the exact same thing.
Any idea how to fix it, i am getting very frustrated at this point
thanks a lot

A:"hard drive not detected" but the hard drive shows in bios

is it your windows drive, or an extra storage drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/184509-hard-drive-not-detected-but-hard-drive-shows-bios.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a Windows 7 desktop. Recently received error message "excessive environmental temperature". Cleaned out a couple of years of dust. Removed CPU heatsink blew out and reinstalled thermal compound and replaced heatsink and fan. Rebooted and no overheat message, but now Bios does not recognize dvd drive or the HDD. I removed dvd drive and tried in another pc and works fine. I even installed a new hard drive, same problem. I only receive this message: Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key" Ive unplugged and reinserted SATA plugs on both drives with nothing new Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 54.61%

Been trying to get one of my old computers running that had a hard drive go bad in it by putting in another hard drive from a different laptop. Formated the good hard drive on the other laptop before putting it into its new home. However when I try and boot to bios i cant find the hard drive in the boot list. The computer is a prostar running phoenix cme firstbios with a toshiba mk3021gas hard drive. Windows setup wont detect the hdd either. Any suggestions cuz the stupid comp manufacturer quit talking to me when I told them I didnt have nuff money to send it in.

A:Bios Not seeing hard drive

yea the brand of the pc it is going into is a prostar d900t and the hard drive came from a toshiba satalite (cant getting anymore specific then that). the previous hard drive in the prostar was also a toshiba mx6026gax so yes i am replacing it with a older hdd. Tried setting up to run in raid in bios menu and it will read the disk and show in boot order now so i cant figure out what i am missing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-not-seeing-hard-drive.103049/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi everyone

I recently purchased ASrock Motherboard and AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, as motherboard had only one IDE slot I bought SATA to IDE converter... So I tried to connect IDE hard drive with connector and changed some settings...

Now i can't see hard drive in Boot devices... If i try to connect DVD drive with same IDE cable it works fine.... I have also tried to flash bios...changed jumper settings on hard drive and I have clear CMOS settings as well....

Any more suggestion for this problem would be appreciated

thank you

A:Can't See Hard drive in BIOS

I have not had real good luck with those converters.

FWIW modern mb are really made to use sata type drives. With the price of hard disks so cheap, it makes little sense to mess around with an adapter. A decent quality converter is around $22~25 or so; for only a few bucks more, you can get a modern 640gig WD drive and be done with the problem.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136527

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-see-hard-drive-in-bios.924810/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hola. Special thanks to triple6 for the best explanation
of 98 shutdown problems I've seen online in 1.5 years of
hunting. * humbled * Two questions
which I've never had anything close to a tangible yes or
no on. 1) I hit "load default settings' in bios about a year
ago and the next night saw my old, no thanks, Canon Printer
listed in printers. How did this happen = did windows add
this from Harddrive or Bios info??

2) A few months before that, while reformatting 5 month
old harddrive, I noticed that the sound card never needed
drivers, meaning windows found the drivers somewhere
during install,
which is okay, but where and how?? Were the drivers
to that crystal ISA sound card in bios or on harddrive?

If harddrive is the answer, then how does one truly
wipe a drive clean. F disk doesn't do all that some say
it does, no?

Getting there,
- M

A:Bios or Hard Drive ??

Windows already had the drivers for the sound card on the install CD. The printer info was on the hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-or-hard-drive.165167/
Relevancy 54.61%

When starting my PC I get a MSG disk Boot Failure,insert system disk and press enter. If I go into the BIOS the C: drive is not seen, only my external D: drive. If I put in the Windows XP disk and select The Repair option for using the Recovery console I can see the drive from DOS as it shows c:\> and you can se the directories by typing dir etc. Not sure what is going on here. Can someone advise how to get the drive seen and bootable again? Am a bit nervous about using the repair option as I understand it can be destructive?

Pc is running xp device pack 3
Asus motherboard with 1gig ram
regards

A:Hard drive not seen in BIOS

The drive may have failed . . You can run diagnostics on the hard drive by downloading the diagnostic tool for the hard drive brand and making a bootable disc.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

See this for how to make a bootable cd:

How to Burn a Bootable ISO File

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-not-seen-in-bios-610863.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have just installed Vista on a older machine (Gigabyte GA-8SIMLNF board) and the hard drive is recognised as a slave IDE device in the first section of the BIOS screen and the optical also recognised a a slave IDE device.

However in the boot config the hard drive is not listed or is an option and boot goes through various screens before finally "deciding" that the hard drive is the only device that the machine can boot from.

I prepared the drive by so the tutorial on setting up an SSD and the install and updates have taken me over eight hours to get onto the drive.

Am I supposed to jumper this drive, doing something wrong, or is the machine just simply too old? I am beginning t think the latter as I cannot find any drivers for the audio either.

A:BIOS and hard drive

With IDE drives you either jumper it as Cable Select, or you jumper it as either Master or Slave
I have no faith in Cable Select, so I suggest that you jumper it for Master.
Then you make sure that it's on the far end of the IDE cable (and make sure you're using 80 wire cables - not 40 wire). The middle connector is for the slave.

Do the same for the optical drive.

I don't have much faith in installing SSD's on older systems - as the controllers (on the mobo) weren't designed with them in mind.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/296512-bios-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 54.61%

i have a hitachi 60gb ata100 hd which has xp pro on it it works fine in my pc ,but when i put it in my old pc it does not show up in the bios
this pc has a packard bell mediablaster 2 mb ,p3 500 mhz ,384 dram ,the bios is an amibios american megatrends,bios version is 1998 ,it has ata33 compatabillity.
when pc is switched on nothing ,on entering bios setup no hard drive(jumpers are set to master)
when setting jumpers to 32gb limit and rebooting windows safe mode screen appears ,selecting safe mode windows halts on the last line ending agp.440.
is this hard drive to new for this old pc?.
the original hard drive suffered a mechanical failure but it was running xp pro fine (if a little slow) for 2 years.
any ideas?

A:hard drive not seen in bios

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That hard drive is never going to work in your old pc. This is because it has all the mobo drivers on it from your current pc, which won`t work with the old mobo.

The only way it might work, is if you formatted the drive, but I doubt you really want to do that.

Just buy a new drive for the old machine.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-seen-in-bios.51517/
Relevancy 54.61%

I posted about this earlier and the thread got a bit confusing

Help my hard drive isnt showing up in my bios ive tried reseating the cables and occasionaly the hard drive will show up, then when ever i try to do
any thing like reboot or put xp set up disk in it will disapear again.

I also tried connecting it to another machine but the same thing happens.

When the computer froze i put in a disk restore to factory image could this have any effect on the drive or has the hard drive packed up?

Relevancy 54.61%

If someone hacks onto my computer and installs an alternative os and alternative bootloader, would these be on the hard drive or 'in' the bios?

Asking because if not on the hard drive, erasing the hard drive would be pointless.

A:bios or hard drive?

Welcome to TSG.

For reference you can group related questions into a single thread. I'll close this thread and you can add this question to your other threads in General Security where its best suited. I've also deleted the thread you deleted the contents of, in the future you can report a thread to be moved if you realize its in the wrong section.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-or-hard-drive.1150191/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi People!

This Newbie to the forum is no techie, so what does 'BIOS hard drive - 97% used' mean? This was found in the Computer section after 'Start'.

It also says 'Space Free 322 MB' of total size 11.1 GB'

Should I be doing anything about this?

Thanks Folks in advance!

A:BIOS Hard Drive

From the size of it I would say it is the Manufacturer's Recovery partition. Can you post a screenshot of folder contents? Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
Also this Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/372837-bios-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 54.18%

"0x80070057" error. I was simply trying to copy a folder or group of files to another hard drive.
Hard drive to Hard drive, no SSD or External was involved.

Any solutions to this issue?

It literally refuses the copying to be performed ...

I'm trying to copy folders/files from a Seagate SATA II 320 GB Hard Drive to a newer Western Digital SATA II 1 TB Hard Drive.
thanks

A:"0x80070057" Error copying files from hard drive to hard drive??

Quote: Originally Posted by axelrose

"0x80070057" error. I was simply trying to copy a folder or group of files to another hard drive.
Hard drive to Hard drive, no SSD or External was involved.

Any solutions to this issue?

It literally refuses the copying to be performed ...

I'm trying to copy folders/files from a Seagate SATA II 320 GB Hard Drive to a newer Western Digital SATA II 1 TB Hard Drive.
thanks

That error sometimes refers to a read write problem. That could be caused by a controller, too little ram, or a busy cpu.

How bis are the copies?

What does it say in event viewer about it?

There are several ways to find what the problem is. The best is to go into event viewer (type eventvwr in search). Go to the windows log>application tab.

You want to look for critical errors (they have red in the left column ).

When you find them you want to look for critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the problem.

When you find them please note the event ID, and the source codes and tell us what they are.

Let us know if you need help with any of this.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/134720-0x80070057-error-copying-files-hard-drive-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Quote from my friends problem recently removed my computer drives - master and slave- when i went on holiday I put the system back in order and recently noticed my slave drive has not shown up in quot My Computer quot list I tried swapping the ribbon cables with no changes So i swapped the position of both drives in case it was the power cable Both are SATA so they use the same power cable But still no changes I removed motherboard or it drive this the of Is which or hard bios , is cause the slave drive F Drive and placed it into an external caddie and booted up It started to install driver for it and is running fine from there So after that i re installed it into the PC and still no change It simply does not exist I have run the boot set up on startup and it is not listed there It is simply a ghost to the PC Any ideas what it could be or how i could sort this issue out Also in hardware profiles under show hidden drives it is listed and clicking this states it is not connected Is there any solution that would help my friend Is it motherboard or hard drive or bios , which is the cause of this solve his problem N B please take that internal hard drive instead of slave

A:Is it motherboard or hard drive or bios , which is the cause of this

Quote:
recently removed my computer drives - master and slave

Both are SATA

There's some confusion from the start. There is no such thing as master and slave with SATA drives! Master and slave drives come from the old technology, EIDE (PATA) drives where you could have two drives attached to one "data" cable and one motherboard connector. With two drives on one data cable, there needed to be a way for the system to keep track of the drives, so one drive was designated as master, the other as slave. And this was determined by a jumper on the back of the drive and where on the cable the drive was connected.

But with SATA drives there is only one drive per data cable. Every drive has it own data cable and motherboard connector. So no master or slave designation is needed.

You can have more than one drive on a power cable with SATA, but that has nothing to do with master and slave - as again, no such thing with SATA drives.

The boot drive is determined by the boot order set in the BIOS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398368-motherboard-hard-drive-bios-cause.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi there I bought an old computer at a garage sale and it had Maxtor G hard drive in it that s what the label says and it is Model D bios as in 0.2G detected being 40G hard drive X- K 40G hard drive being detected as 0.2G in bios When I start the computer I go into bios and it detects it as MB hard drive In addition when I try to install Windows XP on another drive in the same computer it says that the G hard drive cannot be accessed I have tried changing the jumper settings into all possible combinations even upgraded the bios and it still won t detect the original capacity of the hard drive I know the hard drive was not removed from the mother board so it cannot be the jumper settings Is it possible to retrieve the hard drive in some way I would like to wipe it clean and get back my original G on it but the bios itself won t recognize it as such I have the Ultimate Boot CD and have tried using some of its utilities but I haven t had any success with having my bios reading its original capacity I don t want to install it in my main computer for fear that my system will crash and I have no other computer to test its capacity within bios Is there something else I can do BTW my computer is COMPAQ Presario Model UVME Any help will be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

Hi.

I recently purchased a gaming pc for my son as a xmas present. It was pretty expensive, but came with no operating system. When trying to install window 8.1 pro it gave the error "no signed device drivers were found". After downloading the drivers it still wouldn't install windows, so I went into the BIOS and all the SATA ports are empty. Nowhere in the BIOS does it say anything about a hard drive being plugged in. Tried plugging one of the SATA cables into a different port, but still no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated. Unfortunately the place were I bought the pc from is closed until Monday.

Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 PIII 750 12gb laptop and would like to upgrade the hard drive to 60-80gb. I've been told that the BIOS might not recognize that large a drive. How would I go about determining whether that would be the case and if so, how large can I go?

Thanks,

A:Hard drive limited by BIOS??

Usually the HD company will provide you with a disk that should take care of that problem for you when you install it!

Welcome to TSG!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-limited-by-bios.251447/
Relevancy 53.75%

dear people who help other people with computer problems. my 60 gig western digital hard drive was actin' up so i wiped it clean. it wasn't being seen in my bios so i downloaded the westeren digital lifeguard program for dos, when it did this i THINK it set the C drive to be my 512 ram, i can not change it from this. is there any way to possibly change this so i can get my 60 gigger workin' again and i can install an OS on it? i used fdisk on it, deleted the partition and created a new one, that didn't work, and i also formated it into nsts(i know that's not what it's called, but i can't remember at this point). and none of that worked. if anyone could help me i would love them forever, thank you very much!-

mikey.

Relevancy 53.75%

Completely new, fresh PC.

Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB Hard Drive

MSI NF750-G55 Motherboard

Have checked numerous times to make sure that all cables are hooked up securely and properly. Attempted to install windows and the installer said that no disk drive was found. I then proceeded to check bios to see if it was listed there and it is not.

I have absolutely no idea what to do at this point. Have spent the past few hours trying to troubleshoot the problem but to no avail. I do not think the Hard Drive is dead but have no way of being sure. Any help with this is greatly appreciated...if any more information is needed I will be here to supply it. Thanks!

Relevancy 53.75%

On my old secondary computer my setup was Motherboard Chaintech VNF - Master HDS VLAT with Windows installation Slave WD BB- CCB But then I started getting Machine Check Exceptions and my motherboard ultimately perished So I Drive detect BIOS won't IDE Hard replaced that with a Foxconn K S A- ELRS But this new motherboard won't detect the hard drive It will hang at the part that says quot Detecting IDE drives quot sometimes it will give up and display quot quot where the drive is supposed to be other times it will hang until you unplug the cable If it's on the same channel as the Hitachi drive with XP on it the BIOS recognizes the other drive but fails to boot from it If they are on different channels BIOS won't detect IDE Hard Drive it boots the XP drive but will see no hint of the drive on BIOS won't detect IDE Hard Drive the other channel even in Disk Management or Device Manager I also tried connecting it to my other computer's Intel DP DP mobo and it was able to detect read write and all that though it does have a few bad sectors Any help

A:BIOS won't detect IDE Hard Drive

Hi there
Looks like cable or connection is defective. If these are the "Old fashioned" IDE drives check that the ribbon connector is of the correct type -- I believe there are two sorts -- the older version and the newer Enhanced IDE with 40 pins.

Check that you have the correct ribbon type connector for the Mobo. Also connect if the Slave / Master / Auto switch on the HDD (or jump pins on the Mobo if there are any) are correctly set.

Note also at BOOT - ensure also that AHCI in the Bios is correctly set as well -- otherwise the machine will fail to boot.

You really need to set it to IDE for using IDE Disks -- If this has changed from what you were using before you will have to re-install Windows.

You are actually better off getting away from those old fashioned IDE Disks if you can.

It's also possible you might in the Bios have to set the IDE Disk to LBA mode -- to complicated to explain here but notes on this should be available in the documentation that came with the MOBO in BIOS settings.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/205371-bios-wont-detect-ide-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi guys My girlfriend has a PC which I bought her a couple of years ago it's a relatively basic but more than adequate system It's used perhaps once or twice a month usually for simple tasks such as photos internet browsing etc A couple of Recognizing Hard Always BIOS Drive Not weeks ago with Windows installed she tried to turn the PC on with no changes made from a perfectly working PC to be asked to 'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected BIOS Not Always Recognizing Hard Drive boot device ' Now Googling told me to go into BIOS and ensure that it was still booting from the C drive but it was no longer there Long story short I concluded that the drive had died and therefore upgraded the GB SATA that was in there to a new Kingston SSD drive and I also upgraded to Windows At first the Kingston SSD drive BIOS Not Always Recognizing Hard Drive worked flawlessly however I then get another phone call the error is back again I head round to fix it and you guessed it the drive isn't showing in BIOS After a few reboots trying BIOS Not Always Recognizing Hard Drive every setting I could in BIOS it works again and it shows up again aswell all is fine Next day same problem but this time it wants to work even less I try swapping the SATA ports the SATA and power cable just about everything I can think of and eventually it shows up I told her to leave the computer on in the hope that the error doesn't come back but sure enough in the middle of the night last night she woke up to the dreaded black screen once again I understand that this is an intermittent fault but it really couldn't have come at a worse time financially for needing a repair Not only does it look like we've lost all the data on the previous hard drive which stupidly wasn't backed up but now the PC won't work at all Gah Any help is HUGELY appreciated thank you all so much in advance

A:BIOS Not Always Recognizing Hard Drive

Try another sata port on motherboard, change sata and electric cables, there might be a faulty port / cable.
Check connection inside case if they are firmly set

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/441632-bios-not-always-recognizing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi guys BIOS Not Hard Always Drive Recognizing My girlfriend BIOS Not Always Recognizing Hard Drive has a PC which I bought her a couple of years ago it's a relatively basic but more BIOS Not Always Recognizing Hard Drive than adequate system It's used perhaps once or twice a month usually for simple tasks such as photos internet browsing etc A couple of weeks ago with Windows installed she tried to turn the PC on with no changes made from a perfectly working PC to be asked to 'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device ' Now Googling told me to go into BIOS and ensure that it was still booting from the C drive but it BIOS Not Always Recognizing Hard Drive was no longer there Long story short I concluded that the drive had died and therefore upgraded the GB SATA that was in there to a new Kingston SSD drive and I also upgraded to Windows At first the Kingston SSD drive worked flawlessly however I then get another phone call the error is back again I head round to fix it and you guessed it the drive isn't showing in BIOS After a few reboots trying every setting I could in BIOS it works again and it shows up again aswell all is fine Next day same problem but this time it wants to work even less I try swapping the SATA ports the SATA and power cable just about everything I can think of and eventually it shows up I told her to leave the computer on in the hope that the error doesn't come back but sure enough in the middle of the night last night she woke up to the dreaded black screen once again I understand that this is an intermittent fault but it really couldn't have come at a worse time financially for needing a repair Not only does it look like we've lost all the data on the previous hard drive which stupidly wasn't backed up but now the PC won't work at all Gah Any help is HUGELY appreciated thank you all so much in advance

A:BIOS Not Always Recognizing Hard Drive

Really need more information, ie motherboard make and model, please fill in your system spec's.
Have you tried updating the BIOS to the latest one available. Or resetting BIOS to defaults. How old is the motherboard.
Possible cause -MB failing. How many drives are in the machine, if you have more than one is that recognised.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/65958-bios-not-always-recognizing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello,
I am currently working on a Panasonic CF-51 Toughbook laptop and the hard drive went out on it. I went to install the new hard drive (same model) and it will not recognize it in the BIOS but if I install the old one it will recognize it in the BIOS even tho it is dead. I go to load Windows XP Pro and it recognizes the hard drive under this. It formats it fine and everything and then when it goes to restart it wants to load the setup again. I try running the setup and then taking the cd out and it pops up the Operating System Error. I look on the website for BIOS update and could not find any for that exact model. So any info or tips I would appreciate. Thanks!

A:BIOS will not recognize hard drive BUT...

After it restarts, you should see "Press any key to boot from CD". DO NOT press any key and Windows will continue loading. Leave the CD in the drive until windows is finished loading.
I just now noticed that you're A+Certified so if I'm barking up the wrong tree--Sorry.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-will-not-recognize-hard-drive-but.585535/
Relevancy 53.75%

This is a strange one I ve got two Deskstar hd s that used to work together One s an older doesn't hard see BIOS drive vintage IBM GB and the BIOS doesn't see hard drive other is a new May Hitachi GB model GXP series I think I was having serious problems with WinXP Pro so I decided to reinstall it Being an MSDN subscriber I put together a WinXP Pro installation CD which proceeded to tell me neither of my drives were compatibly formatted for it I tried to reformat my C drive but the system wouldn t let me When I took out the GB I was able to format the GB and install WinXP on it Now when I put the GB in my BIOS Abit NV - R mobo with latest BIOS update sees the GB but not the GB And vice-versa As you might see I can have the drives installed separately but not together Yes I HAVE tried all combinations of MASTER SLAVE MASTER WITH SLAVE etc to no avail All suggestions are welcome and encouraged Help - GW White Hagerstown MD nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

I have an AMD A - APU GHz computer - A Vision HP Pavilion nbsp BIOS v nbsp I installed a second SATA drive a TB Seagate and booted up the factory installed OS on the first SATA drive The operating system has no problem seeing the drive so I installed a by seen installed hard isn't BIOS Second drive second OS into a GB partition on the second SATA drive However when I booted the system to finish the OS installation the BIOS couldn't see the second SATA drive Booting into the OS on the first SATA drive no problems nbsp the OS can see the second SATA drive So the problem occurs at boot time The BIOS won't see the second SATA drive nbsp However if I interrupt the BIOS at boot and go in to run a diagnostic and I cancel that and not run the diagnostic all of a sudden the BIOS can see the nd SATA drive and I can boot off it Interrupting the Second installed hard drive isn't seen by BIOS normal BIOS boot and entering the BIOS setup and then canceling out will of the time cause the BIOS to see the second SATA drive If I don't do this the BIOS doesn't see the other SATA drive of the time This is a real annoyance nbsp I looked for an updated version of the BIOS assuming this was an identified bug fixed with a later BIOS release but can't seem to locate anything nbsp Does anyone know how to fix this nbsp Thanks SFMChris Solved View Solution

A:Second installed hard drive isn't seen by BIOS

I do not think it has anything to do with the "Windows Boot Loader (Winload.exe or Winload.efi)". However, I did try it out and running a "bcdedit /set {GUID} path \windows\system32\winload.exe" produced a non-booting OS (even if I attempted to use my current workaround by interrupting the BIOS at boot). Here is the current behavior I am seeing when I hit ESC to enter the BIOS setup (you have a window of less than 2 seconds to hit this key before the WIndows Boot Loader menu comes up). The following are the paths to settings in the BIOS menu, followed by the settings I am seeing:       * Boot Menu                - Shows only SATA0       * Computer Setup > Storage > Device Configuration               - Shows only SATA0       * Computer Setup > Storage > Boot Order > Legacy Boot Sources               - Shows only SATA0       * Computer Setup > Storage > DPS Self-test               - Shows both SATA0 and SATA1 ?! UPDATE:I just found the fix (HP devs will need to fix this bug though). SOLUTION:  I made the following BIOS change:      * Computer Setup > Storage > Advanced > Power-On Options               - POST Delay (in seconds)            5 Settings a POST delay (from the default of nearly no delay to 5 seconds) fixes the problem. In fact, if I wait 3 - 4 seconds into the delay, and then hit the ESC key to enter the BIOS setup, everywhere I was seeing "Shows only SATA0" above before,  is now showing both SATA0 and SATA1. Everything is looking and working as I would expect it to. Problem solved. Thank you to everyone who attempted to help out.SFMChris 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Second-installed-hard-drive-isn-t-seen-by-BIOS/td-p/4025448
Relevancy 53.75%

In piecing together a computer I am using a AOPEN MX Motherboard and a Celeron GHZ CPU and MB of Ram I am ruinning XP Professional and I want to have hard drives and CD rw in the Case The Problem I am having is during post the Bios sees all HD drives Device Manager sees all HD Drives but if you go look in Explorer it shows only of the drives Then if you go back into Device Manager and click on each drive at a time and display properties seen drive by is Solved: XP not but Hard Bios OS, by the XP HD shows it is on Channel Solved: Hard drive not seen by XP OS, but is by Bios drive And One of the other drives shows the same thing Well both can t be I had the extra GB hard drives on Solved: Hard drive not seen by XP OS, but is by Bios cable selelct so I set one to master and the other to slave I got the same result The extra drives are cabled into the blue socket on the Solved: Hard drive not seen by XP OS, but is by Bios motherboard which I believe to be channel and the black socket to be channel which is what the XP drive is cabled to What do I need to check or change to get all HD Drives to work and the CD RW together Or is this a motherboard issue Thanks for you help in solving this headache for me nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

Hello guys, my bios does not support my hard disk "quantum fireball", How i can detect it, infact partition system of my hard disk has been damaged, or is there a way that i can repair it.
thanks.

A:accessing hard drive through bios

Go here http://www.maxtor.com/en/index.htm and d/load the diognostic and repair tools for your drive.Maxtor has the tools for Quantum drives. Go into bios and in the cmos setup you can change your drive detection to auto, save and exit, and see if it detects the drive then.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-hard-drive-through-bios.224856/
Relevancy 53.75%

hi I recently had troubles my issues drive! for hard Bios with data loss from my primary slave gb IBM HD I since bought a Bios issues for my hard drive! new Maxtor w mb cache gb Bios issues for my hard drive! and retreaved the data off my old HD However I have come up with problem which i remember happened to my old HD before it became corrupted It happens when i have all my drives connected in the following configuration P Master gb Maxtor w mb cache P Slave gb Maxtor w mb cache S Master Samsung CDRW S Slave LG DVD all jumpers are set to either master or slave and this config has served me well for the past years with different equipment What happens is the new and the old gb HD show an abnormal string in BIOS incomplete with a load of and other misc signs added to the drive string What happened with my old gb HD was that this happened a few times but i didn t think much of it and the HD eventually became corrupted I can use the new HD perfectly as a secondary slave with no cd drives present But on the primary slave and with cd drives present BIOS doesn t record the drive name properly It worked on Primary slave IDE before i reconnected the cd drives but now it comes up with the abnormal string each time i try it naturally i ve disconnected it for the time being Is this a cable problem or something different Pls help nbsp

A:Bios issues for my hard drive!

Update your BIOS, its probable there's a fix out, thats certainly odd.

Why not post your board type if you're unsure of what you need or what to do with it.

If you're unsure of your mobo of course you can head over to http://www.sisoftware.net/ and get sandra this'll help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-issues-for-my-hard-drive.7509/
Relevancy 53.75%

Help my hard drive isnt showing up in my bios ive tried reseating the cables and occasionaly the hard drive will show up, then when ever i try to to do
any thing like reboot or put xp set up disk in it will disapear again.

I also tried connecting it to another machine but the same thing happens.

When the computer froze i put in a disk restore to factory image could this have any effect on the drive or has the hard drive packed up?

Relevancy 53.75%

I need to clear a hard drive. I know i cant "clear it clear it" but i can mark the whole thing as empty space and that's what i want to do, I think it's called reformatting. Trouble is, it's my boot drive and has my OS on it. That's why i need to do it from the BIOS. I will blank it and reinstall the OS, I just need to know how to blank the drive from the BIOS. I'm doing this because I have invincible adware, undetectably by any scanner and impossible to find evidence of until I open my browser, then it's a clusterbleep of ads by DNSUnlocker. I already tried asking how to remove it but nobody wanted to help so this is my only option.

A:Deleting everything on the hard drive from the BIOS

What scanners did you use to try to clean the adware?

I would recommend you do the following scans first

TFC   to clean any Temp Files first Windows 8 not supported

Back up any bookmarks you have and do a reset of the browser.

Reset Chrome

Reset Firefox

Reset IE

Then run the following scans

Adwcleaner

Junkware Removal Tool

HitmanPro   -   internet connection needed

Rkill  -   Run the program but do not reboot then do a scan with Malwarebytes

TDSS killer

If after doing the scans the problem still exits you can wipe the hard drive but you do not do it from BIOS. You would can wipe the drive using the OS install disk if it is Windows 7 or later. For XP you can use a bootable disk to wipe the drive. If you prefer not to do the scans and wipe the drive I can give you those instructions.

Is this an OEM computer like HP or Dell? If it is and you have a recovery partition then you can easily do a factory reset back to it's purchase date which automatically formats and reinstalls the OS for you with all drives included. It would also be a good idea to back up the activation files using this utility.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589322/deleting-everything-on-the-hard-drive-from-the-bios/
Relevancy 53.75%

I can't hard see Solved: drive in second bios have hard drives one is a sata western digital gb the other is a ide maxor gb I have windows bit xp pro on the gb drive works great On the gb drive I have window xp bit operating system Here is the problem to switch between the two at start up I go into bios and select which hard drive to boot from However just the other day my ide maxor hard drive no longer shows up in the bios It shows in the devive manager and also in My Computer Solved: can't see second hard drive in bios This does me no good as Solved: can't see second hard drive in bios to open it I must select it in bios and it just isn t there Both operating systems Solved: can't see second hard drive in bios WERE working fine but now I can t select it from bios Can any body help me I also have a ide dvd rom on the same ide cable and it works fine too but can not find the ide hard drive in the bios Thanking any and all who will help me in advance I am old and by the time I figure it out I will be pushing diasies Thanks agan Tommy Computer home built gygabyte mother board gigs ram watt power supply ide dvd drive sata dvd drive sata blue ray burner sata western digital hard drive ide maxor hard drive Many fans a AMD phenom bit processor Every thing was fine until turned it on one day and then no ide maxor hard drive shows in bios Help me please nbsp

A:Solved: can't see second hard drive in bios

try running chkdsk /f/r on the IDE drive...lowdown is here
no joy
you might want to try setting the bios settings to the safe or default settings...usually F5 but read the screens to be sure...
if that does not work you may have to reflash the bios so that the IDE drive is seen by the bios again

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-see-second-hard-drive-in-bios.715229/
Relevancy 53.75%

My XC- throws No boot disk has been BIOS drive hard XC-600 found not by detected or the disk has failed error in startup In nbsp BIOS Boot options under Hard Disk Drive priority I cannot find any drives I XC-600 hard drive not found by BIOS have win installation USB which I can use for booting and e g to access command prompt From cmd I XC-600 hard drive not found by BIOS can still access my two hard drives and their contents I tested running some cmd programs etc nbsp nbsp I recently added an SSD HD nbsp and nbsp did a clean win XC-600 hard drive not found by BIOS installation on the drive Everything ran well for a couple of days Then I nbsp fully erased the earlier TB drive all mysterious partitions of it to make it a pure file storage I also did some random changes like removing the old OS version from msconfig https www reddit com r Windows comments gwaq two volumes on startup volume and volume why I cannot point out exactly after which change I restarted nbsp the machine so that it failed as described in the st paragraph but something must have gone wrong and I doubt it would be the hardware I have tried all combinations of hard drives and SATA ports nbsp and nbsp none of them work so that BIOS would recognize the drives or the system would boot I also tested changing the secure boot setting in BIOS without any success nbsp nbsp Any help would be much appreciated nbsp Solved Go to Solution

A:XC-600 hard drive not found by BIOS

Probably you deleted the EFI partition (if your BIOS is set to UEFI) or MBR partition (if your BIOS is set to Legacy/Launch CSM). when you installed windows 10 on the SSD, it read the EFI partition on the 1TB HDD and now that partition is gone. try to run startup repair under advanced options with the windows 10 installation media.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/XC-600-hard-drive-not-found-by-BIOS/td-p/421770/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 53.75%

My Desktop worked fine until couple of days back.

I moved to my new place and once there I tried to get my system up and running and BIOS does not recognize my Hard Drive or DVD ROM.

So, thinking may be IDE port got damaged during moving the system, I used my SATA hard drive which had Windows server in it and booted the system. Surprisingly, although BIOS does not recognize the DVD ROM drive, I was able to use it once I was in.

How do I make the system recognize my IDE Hard drive and DVD ROM in BIOS. How is it that I can use it but BIOS does not recognize it!!

Any help would be appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-not-recognizing-hard-drive-and-dvd-rom.766790/
Relevancy 53.75%

Upgrading sons puter. he has data on old drive to save. Went from 98 to xp. tried to transfer data from 20gig to 30gig. Got about half of it done.
Now anydrive i put 20gig in I get primary hard drive fail. It does not matter what os or cable- master, slave.
Tried other drives and they work where this one doesn't. Any hope to get the data off it?
God bless Phil Conrad

Relevancy 53.75%

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA GMT-UD H rev Hard drive's are both SATA's western digital TB and a Segate barracuda GB Ram Kingston DDR GB Video Card Geforce GT Power supply and case Cooler Master w Here is the situation When I turn on the system it goes through the bios display showing that I have Drive BIOS/Hard issue one or the other or both HD and DVD connected As it's going through it stops at BIOS/Hard Drive issue the VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA AMD DATA CHANGE UPDATE NEW DATA TO DMI And there it hangs up and does nothing I have gone through the trouble shooting chart in the manual and found that if I disconnect the SATA cable for the HD the system goes on to display this message DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER To me it sounds like there is an issue with the SATA drives But both I think I don't have the bios setup properly I have also reset the bios The HD's are both good and have been used on other systems with now problems and MB is brand new Surprisingly I can install win or run a disk manager to the HD but I can't boot from them after installing OS What am I doing wrong

A:BIOS/Hard Drive issue

Quote: Originally Posted by hartengel

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H rev 1.1
Hard drive's are both SATA's: western digital 1.0TB and a Segate barracuda 250GB.
Ram: Kingston DDR3 1333 4GB
Video Card: Geforce 9500 GT
Power supply and case: Cooler Master/750w

Here is the situation. When I turn on the system it goes through the bios display showing that I have one or the other or both HD and DVD connected. As it's going through it stops at the VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA..... AMD DATA CHANGE... UPDATE NEW DATA TO DMI. And there it hangs up and does nothing.

I have gone through the trouble shooting chart in the manual and found that if I disconnect the SATA cable for the HD the system goes on to display this message: DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

To me it sounds like there is an issue with the SATA drives. But both!! I think I don't have the bios setup properly. I have also reset the bios. The HD's are both good and have been used on other systems with now problems, and MB is brand new.

Surprisingly I can install win 7 or run a disk manager to the HD but I can't boot from them after installing OS.

What am I doing wrong??

Was there a previous OS on either of the HD's?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/86283-bios-hard-drive-issue.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi

How do I refresh the hard drive - I put in a new motherboard and just connected the hard drive and it works all OK but I was told that you could refresh the hard drive through the bios? Any one heard of this? If so, can you tell me in "easy to do" language.

Thanks

Relevancy 53.75%

I was installing Windows on my computer through a flash drive and as I was doing it I changed the setting in bios to boot from the usb so I didn't have to do it drive won't hard PC load or bios myself everytime it goes well and I get Windows but when I changed back the settings so the st boot option is my hard drive the screen goes black with a blinking line PC won't load hard drive or bios It only loaded Windows if I pressed f and selected it manually I try to fix it by going into my bios by changing different boot options but nothing worked So I ended up selecting quot load optimal settings quot I believe that's what PC won't load hard drive or bios it was and try to load but it didn't help I ended up with the same black screen and the blinking line except now I can't load bios or have the option to boot another device like a flash drive so I'm stuck on this black screen and I don't know what to do now I have no clue on what to do so help me if you know what to do Thank you I have to go now so I'll get back to any replies Tomorrow afternoon

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/129582-pc-wont-load-hard-drive-bios.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello BC this is my first post here and im desperate Basic Problem description Computer is an HP desktop running XP When turning on Drive BIOS Hard not detecting computer after bios screen the words quot operating system not detected quot appear When inside bios setup primary master slave read BIOS not detecting Hard Drive quot none quot Both cdrom floppy are detected Both hard drives inside the computer are not detected Full details sorry about all the details but i wanted to give all the info i could A friend of mine asked me to install a virus scanner for her because she was about to get the internet at her house for the first time so I took her pc to my house I installed malware bytes and avast then did an overnight full scan with avast and it detected around infected files including a rouge fake BIOS not detecting Hard Drive virus scanner Shes says she had gotten the computer from a friend some years back so i guess they had gotten the infections then and my friend had just been dealing with them while playing her games I just deleted them all then proceeded BIOS not detecting Hard Drive to do a windows update The computer hadnt been updated for many years as it still had IE i believe I installed service pack and then did a restart When it came back up it started my avast bootscan that i forgot i had scheduled The scan detected a virus in the temp internet files and asked me what i wanted to do however i had not plugged in the keyboard and after plugging it in It would not detect so i had to do a reset After turning it back on and getting past the bios screen it said quot Operating System not detected quot I have reseated the connections on both hard drives in many different ways leaving one off with the other connected and vice versa but nothing Both hard drives power up i can feel vibrations hear the fan i guess I pulled out both hard drives and connected them one by one to my personal pc One of them detects on my computer and the other doesnt The one that detects is the one with the operating system and her files so i wasnt to concerned with the other one I pulled all her documents off and saved it and reconnected that hard drive back to her computer using the cd rom cable Still nothing Ive tried the extra IDE slot to connect that hd and the only difference is it skips the bios screen and goes straight to the operating system message Ive pulled the battery to reset the cmos no luck Ive used both options in the bios to reset all settings no luck On the bios loadup screen it reads hit f for setup hit f for recovery console options or something like that i hit f and it gives the operating system message On the hard drive that works and is connected to my pc it has partitions one being a recovery partition I would try putting one of my hard drives in her pc but everything i have is sata and she has no sata ports motherboard is really old Anyone have any suggestions please I dont wanna tell her that i possibly messed up her computer even though i have no clue what i did

A:BIOS not detecting Hard Drive

update. I found an old ide 2.5 inch laptop hard drive and stuck it in there with an adapter. it detects it, but gives the message "hard disk is not system drive" or something similair. The bios still does not detect the HD with windows on it. I have done a scandisc with the western digital specific utility and it detected no errors, and i used the one that windows provided and it detected nothing. The bios does however detect the the blank extra hd that was in there now (seems to detect it every other time). I cant seem to get the computer to boot from cd though (with windows repair disc), even though ive changed the boot order, it might just be the disc though, ima burn another one. Any other suggestions please?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/326719/bios-not-detecting-hard-drive/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi everyone I joined this forum to get an answer to a big question if I can But it looks or No drive 7 Windows BIOS hard in seen nice here so I No hard drive seen in BIOS or Windows 7 might stick around afterwards too Okay I will try to keep this as succinct as I can I am trying to perform a clean installation of Windows HP bit on my desktop PC Motherboard MSI K AGM CPU AMD Athlon X Dual Core There is a perfectly good GB SATA hard disk installed but when I get to the point in the installation where it asks where I want to install windows I get 'no drives were found' I have checked in the BIOS so see if it's recognised there which it isn't I also tried an XP Home installation just to see what happened and that didn't recognise the hard drive either I have just formatted this hard drive using DBan and it does work in my other PC I have also fitted a hard drive from another PC into this computer and that one isn't seen either I have tried different data cables and different SATA slots on the motherboard and that didn't work From my reading on google it seems that this might be a SATA driver issue Where I have to get drivers from the motherboard's website and then install at the screen where it doesn't see the hard drive and gives the 'load driver' option I have downloaded different drivers from the MSI website for my motherboard Some of them have been found but none have worked in finding my hard drive I was desperately hoping that someone would be able to help I also spoke with the guy from my local computer shop who based on my description of the problem seemed to first think it was a driver issue He also said it was a bit of a pig of a job to do So any help for this would be seriously appreciated Thanks

A:No hard drive seen in BIOS or Windows 7

Hi BENZT and welcome to W7 Forums

If a HDD is not recognised by the BIOS during start up, then it will not be available and will not be seen either by a running OS or by the install routine (if trying to install an OS).

From what you have stated, I think that we can eliminate the drives themselves. This leaves a couple of possibilities. Firstly, the data cable may not be securely attached (SATA cables are narrow and are easy to dislodge, compared to the 40/80 wire PATA ones). This can be remedied by fitting latching type cables. Secondly, the power cable. Is this attached, and if so, is there actually any power at the connector?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/211711-no-hard-drive-seen-bios-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I posted this thread in the Devices section and have received no help I'm hoping I can receive some help here Hey SevenForums users I'm afriad that a Wild is the not in BIOS Drive Hard detected Problem has appeared Sorry for the horrible Hard Drive is not detected in the BIOS Pok mon reference I have been trying to sort out this problem for days now and I've had no luck what-so-ever Here's the problem My Windows Computer was diagnosed with a dangerous virus It was stopping Windows from booting Windows would attempt to boot it wouldn't get passed the quot Starting Windows quot screen Then it would automatically restart Then the process would start again So I thought 'Why not reinstall Windows since I had the disk with me ' That being said I attempted to reinstall It wouldn't make it past the quot Setup is starting quot screen So I thought 'This virus must be really bad ' I decided to install Ubuntu with the sole intention that it would remove the little bugger that was stopping Windows from Booting or installing It did but now I wish I haven't Ubuntu got rid of the virus and installed successfully But now when I want to reinstall Windows back on my laptop Luckily it DOES make it past the quot Starting Windows quot screen and goes into set up as usual But I cannot make it past the quot Where do you want to install Windows quot screen This is because I get the following error quot Windows cannot be installed to this disk This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu quot Now I checked the BIOS and noticed that my hard drive isn't listed at all Only the CD ROM drive is listed as a bootable option But it was there BEFORE the Ubuntu install What's weird is that Ubuntu DOES recognise the drive when I installed Ubuntu again It recognised it as a TOSHIBA Hard Drive which it is But my BIOS says nothing is there I tried countless amounts of things to repair the hard drive Here's some -Tried repairing the MBR Bootrec exe fixmbr -Tried installing AHCI Intel Drivers made for my HDD -Tried some tweaking with Diskpart in the Command Prompt that I used from the Install CD in the quot Repair Windows quot section -Tried running CHKDSK through the Command Prompt -Tried over and over and over again with the above methods -Tried reseating the HDD I've ran out of options My last option is if any of you guys could help me sort this problem out Ubuntu says that the Hard Drive has many Bad Sectors which is what urged me to run HKDSK Bad Sectors to be exact Then it sky-rocketed to AFTER CHKDSK ran Now I'm out of options Windows installation recognizes that there's a GB hard drive Partition there but I can't install Windows to it Ubuntu recognises the exact name and model of my HDD so surely there's a chance that the HDD hasn't failed Any thing that I can do to get this working If I can somehow make my BIOS recognise the HDD then I can probably install Windows again then I'll be back on the road again Like I mentioned earlier trying the drivers didn't install or change anything Thanks a lot Ishmael Oh and it's a Laptop too not a Desktop

A:Hard Drive is not detected in the BIOS

This virus may have corrupted bios easily and it could have destroyed the hard drive but lets first worry about bios you could try and flash bios again I know it's risky with a virus that could be still present in the bios. You may want to look around on the internet of what to do in case of bios virus and how to get rid of it..

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/188067-hard-drive-not-detected-bios.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi My wife has a PC with SATA drives and it has been working No Drive help! Please Bios? No Hard detected? fine for about years Now when we came to boot it up it would start to load windows the screen would go dark nothing else would happen We rebooted pressed the Tab key and got a screen with the boot settings in we didn t alter anything in that just exited and rebooted Now it doesn t even try to boot windows We can t get the boot screen back by pressing the Tab key It just goes to No Bios? No Hard Drive detected? Please help! another screen saying VIA Technologies Inc VIA VT Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility V Scan Devices Please wait Press lt Tab gt key into user window Hardware initiate failed No Bios? No Hard Drive detected? Please help! Please check device The BIOS does not be installed Press lt g gt to continue When we do that we get the first No Bios? No Hard Drive detected? Please help! screen we get when we boot up saying Press DEL to enter setup Press lt F gt for BBS POPUP then it lists the controllers then lists Auto detecting Sec Master ATAPI CD-ROM Sec Master SONY DVD RW DW U A d ULTRA DMA Mode - Auto Detecting USB Mass Storage devices USB Mass storage devices found and configured NO Hard Disk Drive Detected Press F to resume When we select F we get a choice of the DVD drive or the floppy drive I hope I have explained well enough and hope someone can help Thanks Steve nbsp

A:No Bios? No Hard Drive detected? Please help!

Looks like the hard drive(s) or the controller has failed. Could be something as simple as a loose cable too of course.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-bios-no-hard-drive-detected-please-help.48910/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a single GB drive in the computer It s set to master CD is unplugged Computer boots up and memory test is fine The drive never hard is detected BIOS by bios gets to the quot detected IDE devices quot and just hangs and hangs and hangs After about - minutes the bios will finish it s POST and I ll get quot boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter quot on the screen Big deal that doesn t do much for me since my hard drive is never recognized When I get into the bios and I try to auto-detect the drive it never finds it I ve tried all combo of the jumper on the hard drive is never detected by BIOS drive too including cable select If I have the cd-rom plugged no problem there finding it I suspect the hard drive is dead but it gets power because it s nice and warm What do you guys think Bios never sees the hard drive even after I replaced the IDE cable x s think the drive is dead nbsp

A:hard drive is never detected by BIOS

That's one possible reason. Another is that the cable is somehow faulty, or the Motherboard damaged? Is it worth getting a new HD, installing an OS on that, running the suspect drive as a slave, and seeing if BIOS picks it up then? (this may be pointless - i'm new to this lark - but it's what i'd do if i were you).

I found your thread because I have a similar issue, but sounds like mine is more soluble than yours. Rather than hi-jacking your thread I'll post mine on a new thread.

Ray

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-is-never-detected-by-bios.28548/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi everybody i m from Holland so cut me some slack on my English Today i desided to turn my old pc into a Nas with freenas software I thought i d buy tb samsung hd ui drives to get myself started but however I never got passed the first step The bios does not recognize my disks Only my cdrom drive as primary slave I get the following message VIA Technologies Inc VIA VT Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility V Hardware Initiate failed Please Check Device The Bios does not be bla bla Scan Devices Please not by is Hard detected drive BIOS wait Press lt Tab gt key into user window it sort of hangs for Hard drive is not detected by BIOS a moment when i get the message written below Hardware initiate failed Please check device The BIOS does not be installed Press lt g gt to continue when i press g i immediately press dell to get in the bios to find out it can t recognize the disks Are the disks to new to work with the motherboard this computer is about to six years old the motherboard has two sata plugs on it and a amd chip Must i use a jumper On the disks Ive spent the entire night searching for the answer but cant seem to find it I realy hope i gave you guys enough information to help me out If not please reply Thanks in advance Awaiting your feedback kind regards Bas nbsp

A:Hard drive is not detected by BIOS

??Motherboard??

basman said:

Hi everybody, i'm from Holland, so cut me some slack on my English!

Today i desided to turn my old pc into a Nas, with freenas software.
I thought i'd buy 2 2tb samsung hd204ui drives to get myself started, but however. I never got passed the first step. The bios does not recognize my disks. Only my cdrom drive as primary slave... I get the following message:

VIA Technologies, Inc VIA VT8237 Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility V2.01
Hardware Initiate failed, Please Check Device!!! The Bios does not be ... bla bla.

Scan Devices, Please wait....
Press <Tab> key into user window!

[it sort of hangs for a moment, when i get the message written below:]

Hardware initiate failed, Please check device!!!
The BIOS does not be installed. Press <g> to continue!

[when i press g i immediately press dell to get in the bios, to find out it can't recognize the disks.]

Are the disks to new to work with the motherboard. this computer is about 5 to six years old, the motherboard has two sata plugs on it. and a 64 amd chip.

Must i use a jumper? On the disks?

Ive spent the entire night searching for the answer, but cant seem to find it.
I realy hope i gave you guys enough information to help me out. If not, please reply.

Thanks in advance.
Awaiting your feedback!

kind regards
BasClick to expand...

:wave:Hi there,

You haven't actually said what make/model your old computer is. Neither the board in use.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-is-not-detected-by-bios.169971/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a machine that will no longer detect my samsung terra at bios. It seems to make the boot up noise and everything but it wont detect it at all. It does detect my other sammy but not this drive. I tried it in another machine and i get the same problem.

I swapped the circuit board from my working drive to the non working and still nothing. I have quite a bit of data on there if i can get it to boot that would be great and copy it all over.

Before this happened every now and then when i turned the machine on it would not show it as being detected. If i powered off the system a few times and turned it on it would come back, i thought it might be because it was Pentium 4 and it was old and dying but when i put it in my i3 it doesnt work.

A:Hard drive not detected at bios

Is this a SATA drive (probably)? You didn't provide any specifics on the hardware.

Have you tried moving the SATA cable to a different connector on the motherboard? I know you said you tried it in another machine, so that would suggest the drive itself is the problem... but still...

Try using a different SATA connector on the motherboard, and maybe even another SATA data cable.

Pull out the data cable and re-seat it, both on the drive and also on the motherboard.

I had a recent similar situation with a Western Digital Velociraptor drive, that I thought was going bad. Like you, I would try all kinds of different ways to coax it back to "normal operation", and mostly they would work. Eventually, I decided to replace it.

I ordered a new one, transferred the contents, and it all seemed to work perfectly, pointing to the old drive as the culprit. Then two weeks later the new drive began to act up again, just like the old drive had. Grrr..

Anyway, I decided that maybe it was my SATA #4 connector on the motherboard that was at fault. So I moved the cable over to the SATA #2 connector... and it's been perfect ever since (fingers crossed that this holds true forever).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/155055-hard-drive-not-detected-bios.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a previously functional hard drive that is no longer recognized by the BIOS Other drives are working fine Just not this one It has no scary not up drive in showing Hard BIOS clicking or grinding noises It sounds lovely in fact Normal health read and spinning sounds It even has the gyroscope Hard drive not showing up in BIOS feel if I pick it up Stuff I have tried unsuccessfully Restart the computer Restart the computer again just in case Swap out cabling Use an external power source Use a SATA-to-USB adapter Use a different motherboard Hard drive not showing up in BIOS with a different BIOS and a different power supply Use a different motherboard with the USB adapter Swap out the controller board for a new one--same model and revision but stole the flash memory chip off the old board so it had its calibration information right I m thinking that the platters and read head and all are good I seem to have ruled out the controller board as the culprit Anybody have any ideas what might be the issue nbsp

A:Hard drive not showing up in BIOS

You've pulled out all the stops. If the BIOS doesn't see the drive, there's not really anything more you can do. Drive has failed somehow. Send back to mfg. if still under warranty. Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-bios.180980/
Relevancy 53.75%

I started with two harddrives gb amp GB I used Ghost to clone to drive detecting hard BIOS not the other Changing the boot sequence in the BIOS I was able to boot from both drives seperately I thought Someone just told me that cloning drives in Ghost creates something like RAID and both drives are needed to boot AS it turns out I cannot boot BIOS not detecting hard drive from either drive when it is the only drive installed When I added the new GB drive using WD Data Lifequard instructions for creating a bootable drive I copied over the files from the GB drive Unknown to me at that time I could not boot from the GB by itself At this time I can only boot if I have both the and GB drives installed How the heck do I create a bootable drive Both drives have the boot files installed but when attempting to boot with just drive the BIOS does not detect it Help Help Help WinXp Pro--AMD --Asus A v -x-- Mem- nbsp

A:BIOS not detecting hard drive

Vanmol, I am not an expert on harddrives, but after seeing your first post about an Active Drive, I was curious about this subject. I did a lot of digging and your not the only one that has problems after cloning XP. Nothing illegal here: You buy a new bigger drive, clone XP to it, then format the original drive and use it for backup and storage. It seems that the main problem is: "Before you first boot the new drive you have to remove the original drive". XP writes to the MBR's and the registries with disk information, and is now confused. As to how to fix your situation, I don't have the answer, but thought posting may invite answers from others. Check out the caution note about halfway down the page: http://ghost.radified.com/norton_ghost_4.htm
moper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-not-detecting-hard-drive.312737/
Relevancy 53.75%

hi.i have a fujitsu v3405 laptop.i had to replace the hard drive.now it will not show up in bios.i have tried the hard drive in another computer and it shows up straight away.there is nothing wrong with the hard drive.i am not to sure what to do now.can someone give me a clue what to do.
thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-not-reading-hard-drive.831059/
Relevancy 53.75%

Almost new Toshiba laptop Win Home Premium bit SP not installed yet Laptop will not boot up 7 hard in found bios drive no 64 WIN BIOS lists hard drive as quot not found quot I can get laptop to boot if I first use the NTBR-CD Note that NTBR can not see the hard drive either but when I exit from NTBR without running any of the NTBR programs the laptop boots up perfectly fine If I re-boot WIN 7 64 no hard drive found in bios again boot fails as BIOS will not see drive Toshiba Repair Centre indicated that this is probably a virus but Norton ESET and Malwarebyte didn t find anything Hard drive passed the quot SMART quot test Here are the DDS logs I truly appreciate the help John DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Run by admin at on Fri Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV Norton Internet Security Disabled Updated DF - - D- - DC EFD BF SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Norton Internet Security Enabled Updated D BEB -B A- E - B -B B FW Norton Internet Security Enabled BE D -DB F- - AD WIN 7 64 no hard drive found in bios - F E C FC Running Processes C windows system wininit exe C windows system lsm exe C windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C windows system atiesrxx exe C windows System svchost WIN 7 64 no hard drive found in bios exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C windows system atieclxx exe C windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C windows System spoolsv exe C windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files x Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files x Norton PC Checkup Engine SymcPCCULaunchSvc exe C Program Files x Norton PC Checkup Engine ccSvcHst exe C windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C windows system ThpSrv exe C Windows system TODDSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TosCoSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TECO TecoService exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C windows system taskhost exe C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files x Norton PC Checkup Engine ccSvcHst exe C windows system Dwm exe C windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe C windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVBg exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TPwrMain exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SmoothView SmoothView exe C Program Files TOSHIBA FlashCards TCrdMain exe C Windows System ThpSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TECO Teco exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe C Program Files TOSHIBA BulletinBoard TosNcCore exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ReelTime TosReelTimeMonitor exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Sleep Utility TSleepSrv exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA Utilities KeNotify exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Web Camera Application TWebCamera exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Service Station ToshibaServiceStation exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exe C windows system svchost exe -k SDRSVC C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Service Station TMachInfo exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TPHM TPCHSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert TosSmartSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert TosSENotif... Read more

A:WIN 7 64 no hard drive found in bios

Hi,Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

Please reply to this post so I know you are there.The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/390923/win-7-64-no-hard-drive-found-in-bios/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi

Hoping someone can help....

I tried to update the BIOS but it didnt work. Computer re-started and now my SSD drive with windows installed on is not recognised and hence i cannot get into windows. I have a 2tb slave drive with stuff on i cannot afford to lose. Something similar happened a while a go so i got a new ssd drive replacement but i dont think anything is wrong with it. Last time i had to repartition the drive as it was in RAW format but i cannot remember how i did that? The computer is less than 6 months old and a pretty powerful machine so doubt its the hardware as such, more that ive done something to it after trying to updatethe BIOS im sure.

Any help would be great, can provide any more ifo if needed.

Thank you

Ben

Relevancy 53.75%

Hi, i am not sure if this is the right section or not, if its not, please forgive my ignorance.

Does anyone please know if there is a way of by passing a, password locked BIOS and Hard drive?

I bought this computer about two years ago from PC World, i have just decided to reformat the hard drive and install ubuntu, but the computer wont allow it, a pass word is needed to access the hard drive and also the BIOS, PC World, will not give me the password, they say that i have to take it back to them, to do it, but they will charge me for it.

As i see this, it is nothing short of extortion, i will not pay them on principal, even if i have to buy another computer, but if i can get around this problem i would be well pleased. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

A:BIOS and Hard drive locked

I'm sorry, but we cannot help with password questions of any nature because it is so difficult to tell who is legit from who wants to break in illegally. Equally to the point this is a public forum so the person who wants to break in could get the answer given to the legit asker.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-and-hard-drive-locked.956442/
Relevancy 53.75%

i recently tried to upgrade a friends pc from windows me to xp i created a new primary dos partition on the drive then went to reformat as directed but now the bios wont recognise the hard drive and fdisk tells me there are no fixed disks present. according to windows website this old pc does meet the system requirements for xp so does anyone know whats causing this problem?

A:bios not rcognising my hard drive

more info

just an update to give you a bit more information to work with the cpu is a pentium 2 mmx 350mhz 128mb ram i think the motherboard is a jetway and the hard drive is 4.11gb i have tried putting my spare 20 gb hard drive in which it recognises but will still only read it as being 4.11gb any ideas ? i think the bios are award v7.xban if that helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-not-rcognising-my-hard-drive.44980/
Relevancy 53.75%

I recently hooked up a Buslink 13G USB external hard drive to my Compaq 1266 laptop. I contacted Buslink to find out why my system is only recognizing 12.1G's. They suggested that I contact Compaq about flashing my Bios. With the help of compaq I 'reset' my bios, but it didn't help. Compaq and another source does not recommend flashing the bios because the risk involved to regain .9G might not be worth it. I've been told that i would need to purchase software specifically for flashing my Phoenix bios, but that tech. assistance was not guaranteed. Can you suggest any alternatives, or is flashing the bios the only way for me to recover the lost .9G?

A:Hard Drive recognition/Bios

You may not be able to use the .9 GB. Any company that makes hard drives uses a number for the byte size that makes it look high. the computer uses a higher for byte size, and as a result, the drive is not actually as big as claimed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recognition-bios.32702/
Relevancy 53.75%

I now am ready to load Vista Home Premium x64 on a new SATA HD. I will not be setting up any RAID or anything. What settings should I make sure are there in the BIOS or need to be changed? My board is a Intel DP35DP. Does anyone here have this board or could help a first time builder
Thanks!
Barnabas

A:Hard Drive settings in BIOS

Hi Barbabas,

You will be fine using defaults but if you have problems you know where to find us

Steven

Originally Posted by Barnabas

I now am ready to load Vista Home Premium x64 on a new SATA HD. I will not be setting up any RAID or anything. What settings should I make sure are there in the BIOS or need to be changed? My board is a Intel DP35DP. Does anyone here have this board or could help a first time builder
Thanks!
Barnabas

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/156988-hard-drive-settings-bios.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a second hard drive I will install on my new system. Both systems are XP (the original hard drive is less then a year old).
After mechanically installing the 2nd hard drive, how do I go about setting the bios? It is extremely important that I do not lose the information on the 2nd drive. Thanks!

A:Setting bios for 2nd hard drive

There should be nothing to set, it should already be set to auto detect the new drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-bios-for-2nd-hard-drive.149308/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a pentium processor and an issues BIOS Hard Drive and ASuS p b-LS motherboard I just Hard Drive and BIOS issues purchased a Hitachi RPM GB hard drive thinking everything is fine and dandy Come to find out when i tried to install the new hard drive it won t even quot spin quot on powerup I have come to believe this is a BIOS problem how would i go about getting my new hard drive put in and taking full advantage of it Other PC Specs Hard Drive and BIOS issues Windows SE mb nvidia TNT compaq DVD-Rom sony CDRW x x x award modular BIOS string ID i BX-P B-LS why so Hard Drive and BIOS issues large for an old PC you may ask well i want to install windows XP eventually and a GB hard drive won t nearly cut it any help or advice is appreciated i don t look forward to the idea of buying another motherboard and possibly CPU any advice involving quick download updates is ideal but will face reality in the matter nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

Anybody Hard recognising Help! Drive BIOS not able to offer some advice Help! BIOS not recognising Hard Drive on this problem I was asked to look at friend s computer because the clock calendar was resetting everytime he reboot his Help! BIOS not recognising Hard Drive PC I assumed this was a battery problem so I replaced it but forgot to take the BIOS settings before I started Now I can t get the BIOS to auto-detect the Hard Drive This what I ve tried so far I ve tried entering the correct settings for USER but the BIOS doesn t retain the settings on reboot I know the new battery is fine because it is retaining the date and time I ve tried replacing the data cable and the power cable I ve tried the hard drive in a different computer and it works perfectly The CD-ROM was set up as a primary slave so I changed it to work as a Secondary master I ve checked the jumper settings I ve tried disconnecting the CD-ROM and the Floppy drive and booting from the Hard drive I ve tried resetting the BIOS F On booting up the machine goes through its systems checks fine and then displays the message OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND I don t know what else to try The machine is PII mhz running Windows The motherboard is a Micronics which I think has gone out of business because I couldn t find a website and the HDD is a Seagate Any ideas much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

HI I am new at this but here it goes I have an old I can already hear the comments lol Packard Bell P MB Its just a spare computer for my room until I build a new one Anyhow I had Windows ME installed on it which was obviously slow I got fed up with it and decided to repartition and Install Windows which is really & BIOS W95 Hard Drive Issues: what it Hard Drive Issues: BIOS & W95 was orignally intended Hard Drive Issues: BIOS & W95 for Here is the issue When I repartitioned the hard drive and restarted the computer with a boot disk to get to FDISK the boot disk loads to just about the point where Windows is loading but never does and the disk drive light stays on and disk just spins The computer basically freezes in this state Needless to say I could not get Windows installed because I could never get to the Dos Prompt I got fed up and installed linux WAY too much for that poor computer to handle I then repartitioned and installed Linux which seemed a little better but still I needed windows back Last night after I deleted all partitions including the windows one from the Linux Setup disk I could then use my boot disk to boot to Dos Fdisk I also used fdisk mbr and still everytime I make a dos partition it hangs I will mention that I have a Western Digital gb hard drive and this old PC really wasn t designed for that so Western Digital has an EZ - Bios that gets installed onto the hard drive When I deleted partitons I no longer have EZ-BIOS and Western Digital s Tools will not let me re - install it unless I have a Valid Formatted partiton first I think Can someone please help Sorry for the long paragraph but this is what has happened Signed Confused nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

On my old secondary computer my setup was Motherboard Chaintech VNF - IDE BIOS detect drive hard won't Master HDS VLAT with Windows XP SP Slave WD BB- CCB But then I started getting Machine Check Exceptions and my motherboard ultimately perished So I replaced that with a Foxconn K S A- ELRS But this new motherboard won t detect the hard drive It will hang at BIOS won't detect IDE hard drive the part that says quot Detecting IDE drives quot sometimes it will give up and display quot quot where the drive is supposed to be other times it will hang until you unplug the cable If it s on the same channel as the Hitachi drive with XP on it the BIOS recognizes the other drive but fails to boot from it If they are on different channels it boots the XP drive but will see no hint of the drive on the other channel even in Disk Management or Device Manager I also tried connecting it to my other computer s Intel DP DP mobo and it was able to detect read write and all that though it does have a few bad sectors Any help nbsp

A:BIOS won't detect IDE hard drive

"though it does have a few bad sectors"...

ANY hard drive with ANY bad sectors should be replaced ASAP. If you are trying to boot from a hard drive loaded with an operating system from another computer, don't! Select the drive you want as a boot drive, format it and install an OS of your choice fresh

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-wont-detect-ide-hard-drive.175397/
Relevancy 53.75%

I an trying to install a new hard drive using cable select on an hp pc running xp. I plugged everything up and checked the bios and it showed up there. I then tried to format it but when I go to disk management, the drive does not show up. I then go to device manager and it does not show up there either. The hard drive when plugged in does spin. Any Ideas as to how i can get this hard drive formatted? Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 53.75%

Hi I have detected drive not by Hard BIOS looked through some other articles here at TechSpot relating to non-detected hard drives but did not find this peculiar issue After four months Hard drive not detected by BIOS of running just fine n suddenly the hard drive is not detected in the BIOS but sometimes the Windows logo comes up it has to see the Hard drive not detected by BIOS hard drive from somewhere but does not open the operating system COMPUTER SPECS--all components were purchased four months ago Motherboard ASUS M A-VM a low to mid-range board DRAM GB Ultra Dual-channel Power supply Thermaltake TR -R -watt Processor AMD Athlon GH Hard drive Seagate Barracuda GB RPM Nice TESTS I tried a different power supply unit I ran the Windows CD pressed R and it declared that no disk was found I ran the Ultimate Boot Disk and it did not see the hard disk I connected the hard disk to an MSI motherboard ran the BIOS and it detected the hard disk I did not run Windows as I knew Microsoft would not see it as the original motherboard BIOS The BIOS on the ASUS computer does not have a listing or selection for PATA It just has IDE the DVD drive and four SATA connections The hard drive is not detected but it is on SATA connection I suspect a failed hard drive which is surprising since it s a Seagate I don t have another SATA hard disk to test that idea with I haven t tried clearing the CMOS either but at this point I m not sure what good that would do This is a friend s computer that I put together No she didn t back up her files I always tell people to back up their files Sigh So what do you think nbsp

A:Hard drive not detected by BIOS

SATA cables are kinda weird. I had a similar problem, and i replaced the cable with a new one. The problem i had was that the SATA cable was over stretched (the connection part) and was not making a full contact with the cable head. Try replacing it and let us know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-detected-by-bios.118483/
Relevancy 53.75%

Help! Watching videos on my Laptop when it suddenly froze.
Rebooted the computer then suddenly this appeared

PXE-M0F: EXITING INTEL PXE ROM NO BOOTABLE DEVICE

disabled network boot on bios then this appeared

No Operating system found

Checked BIOS, laptop's hardrive is not detected but cd drive is

Not an expert on computers
running windows 7

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-hard-drive-not-detected-in-bios.960359/
Relevancy 53.75%

Is there a way to reformat my hard drive from the BIOS? Also scroll down to my other thread i posted today about the problem "computer frozen in middle of xp reinstall" If you can help I you!

A:Formatting Hard Drive from BIOS

Hi cheese,

Formatting the hard drive is not the purpose for the BIOS.
You'll need a boot disk to do that.

http://www.bootdisk.com

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/formatting-hard-drive-from-bios-213014.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Compaq Presario computer that is getting a Boot Disk Failure. I suspect a bad hard drive but decided to check the drive setting in the BIOS. When I boot up to the BIOS and go into the Standard CMOS Setup, only the following options are listed:

Date
Time
Drive A: 1.44 3.5 in
Drive B: None (all available choices are for another floppy)
Floppy3 Mode Support: Drive A
Video: EGA/VGA
Halt On: No Errors

That's it, there is no place to list a hard drive. May experience with computer BIOS's is that even when no hard drive is connected or if bad drive is connected, there will still be a listing in the BIOS for the hard drive. Usually it will say AUTO or NOT INSTALLED. But this BIOS has no place to list the hard drive.

The BIOS is AWARD BIOS (2A5IMG09). No date is listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Loyd

A:No Place For Hard Drive In BIOS

In most cases, you're very right. But Compaq's are always different and usually a headache. The one i'm picturing had drop down menus - kind of like in windows and the harddrive was under one of the last menus - something like devices then ide devices. Take a look around but be warned it may not be there. can you press Tab or ESC while you have the compaq logo on the screen? It may show you the POST. If not use FDISK to see if it shows a drive.

A complete drive failure, where its totally dead, may also give you this result. Because Compaq is very proprietary it may not show anything for the HDD if it's not detected.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-place-for-hard-drive-in-bios.129631/
Relevancy 53.75%

So my computer crashed on me and after doing research I found that BIOS is not detecting my hard drive. Is there a way I can fix this or is my computer just heading for the scrap heap. I have all the driver and windows discs that came with my computer. The specs are:

Dell inspiron 1525
Intel Core 2 Duo
250 Gb hard drive
Running windows vista home premium 32 bit

Any more details you need I'll be right here waiting and will respond quickly.

A:Hard drive not detected in BIOS.. Help!

Please read the rules and do not double-post.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/1021355-installing-windows-after-hard-drive.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-detected-in-bios-help.1021361/
Relevancy 53.75%

Im on a laptop... and According to windows there is no hard drive.. Hence it cannot be formatted or anything..

When i boot with a windoiws 98 disk.. and i use the DIR command.. it shows the hard drive name as these funny symbols along with some of the files on the hard drive..

What do you think could be the porblem ??? And how could i correct this ??

A:Symbols for Hard Drive name in BIOS

Is this a Windows 98 laptop or an XP laptop? If it has XP loaded, the funny symbols are there because Windows 98 can't read the NTFS (NT File System) format used by XP. In any case, the hard drive is probably bad and it will need to be replaced. You might try reformating it using the Windows 98 boot disk. If this fails, you know the drive is bad

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/symbols-for-hard-drive-name-in-bios.123076/
Relevancy 53.75%

My friend has a pretty old computer and it's running Windows 95 and we started it up the other day and it said that there was no operating system installed.

So I went into the BIOS and it said there was no hard drive installed. So I opened up the case and got the info of the hard drive and installed it with user defined settings, saved and exited and it rebooted and it started Windows 95 like it should but a few days later it wouldn't start again and had the same problem with the BIOS saying the hard drive not installed.

Anyone know why its doing this?

Relevancy 53.75%

Hello,

I want to install a new hard drive to replace my old hard drive, it came with software to transfer data from one hard drive to another, my question is how do I hook up two hard drives to the motherboard at the same time?

Thanks.

Relevancy 53.75%

Hey there,

I was looking for opinions based on two different drives and which one would be better used for installing an OS (Windows 8) on and run programs, and which one should be used for file storage.

Here are the two drives in question:

Western Digital Red

3TB storage
SATA3 (6gb/s transfer)
64mb cache
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JJLW4M/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1
VS.

Samsung EcoGreen

2TB storage
SATA (3gb/s transfer)
32mb cache
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245 (I know this one says out of stock but the drive was received a while ago)

A:Solved: Hard drive for OS vs Hard drive for files

Regardless of what hdd you use for storage, your OS and programs should be on an SSD - boot and response times much faster.

Booting with an SSD will get you up in 30 - 60 secs.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7PD256BW/dp/B009NB8WRU

I have the 128gb version - more than sufficient.

I would also go with the first one for storage - faster than 2nd one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-for-os-vs-hard-drive-for-files.1103440/
Relevancy 53.32%

Help! Watching videos on my Laptop when it suddenly froze.
Rebooted the computer then suddenly this appeared

PXE-M0F: EXITING INTEL PXE ROM NO BOOTABLE DEVICE

disabled network boot on bios then this appeared

No Operating system found

Checked BIOS, laptop's hardrive is not detected but cd drive is

Not an expert on computers
running windows 7

A:Laptop hard drive not detected in BIOS

It's very possible your HD is dead.
You can try re-seating it, or test it on another computer via enclosure or USB adapter, but you probably need a new drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-hard-drive-not-detected-in-bios.156031/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey detect Bios upon reboot won't hard-drive im a bit confused here i just Bios won't detect hard-drive upon reboot formatted about days ago and it seems that every time i restart the computer from windows or otherwise it wont detect the hard drive quantum fireball as and it says insert boot cd then disk boot failure please insert boot disc If i go into the bios and auto detect it finds it but it still wont boot when i exit finds the hd but stalls If i turn off the computer and on again everything works fine Im pretty sure nothing on the hard drive is screwed because it was fine before the format unless its some programs doing something like tweak xp i have no idea motherboard is an epox rda with bios version Could it be something like that it is shutting down before it finishes with the cache It almost seems like it forgets the bios setting after a boot i have no idea though it seems like something easier than im looking for btw running windows xp corp with sp Thanks for any help guys nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-wont-detect-hard-drive-upon-reboot.263782/
Relevancy 53.32%

I am interested in getting a second hard dirve for my Gateway 1.7GHz machine (about 3 years old). I currently have a 120Gig drive. How can I determine if my bios will handle a hard drive larger than the 120Gig either as a primary or secondary drive? Based on the MS KB article (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 303013, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013) there could also be problem with XP home ed. Also are there any websites devoted to hard drives and the differences between them

Also any suggestions as to a hard drive to buy. I am looking at Maxtor and Western Digital 200-260Gig drives. Should I get a ATA, Ultra-ATA or SATA drive and what are the differences between them and compatibility issues.

I know I have asked a lot of questions but hopefully they are easy to answer because I am really confused.

A:Hard drive compatibility with BIOS and XP Home

First off, if you want to be safe, buy a 120gb drive, make it a slave and you should be happy for a long time. If you want a larger drive, the you should check your bios Mfg and see if it supports larger drives. Next if your system doesn't support Ultra-ATA or SATA, you will need to purchase a PCI card to support these environments. The best solution will still be a 120gb drive as a slave.

Storage_man

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-compatibility-with-bios-and-xp-home.244499/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi Guys I have just fitted a SSD SSD as IDE i AHCI or hard Sata use do Bios in drive drive in my computer windows bit system when I installed windows onto the new SSD I just unplugged my old hard drive and fitted the SSD and just installed windows and all worked ok But after the SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios new install was working I was told I needed to make SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios a change in the BIOS to alter the settings from treat Sata as IDE to treat Sata as AHCI I did this and all was ok with the new drive the installation worked and the new drive is running ok But now I have since SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios read that I should have made the bios change before installing windows nad should not be done after the install So do I need to reinstall windows with the bios changes to treat sata as AHCI before I install or will it work ok it seems to be ok but im not sure now I was also under the impression that I could still have my old hard drive fitted and just select the hard drive I wanted to boot from as the computer started I wanted to do this so I could still has access to all my old stuff if I needed it But now my old hard drive will not boot until I change the Bios back to treat Sata as IDE so is this not going to work or will I have to change the bios each time I need access to my old drive Also I have an Asus P T SE motherboard so can I plug the SSD into any Sata port or is it better to plug it into number if so how do I find which one is number one

A:SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios

See this tutorial: AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/255450-ssd-hard-drive-do-i-use-sata-ide-ahci-bios.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My dell xps/inspiron M140/630m doesn't recognize the hard drive. I've tried replacing with 2 new drives and the bios simply doesn't recognize them. I did have win 7....is my computer caput?

Relevancy 53.32%

i understand after replacing a hard drive with a new hard drive,the next step with be to 'confiqure your system BIOS'

--some computers will automatically comfiqure the BIOS,other computers one must manually go into the BIOS screens to set up the new settings

ARE THERE ANY ODDS for which computers will automatically detect and set the BIOS--and which computers will need to be manually set? My computer was manufactured in Sept2003,pen4,compaq

Relevancy 53.32%

As the title says, Earlier today windows wouldnt even load up as i kept getting a blue screen. after i get this fixed, my 40 GIG I:/ Drive will not show up in My Computer. Any help?

*Clicked on wrong forum, would a mod please move it.

A:Hard drive shows up in BIOS but not in My Computer

Is the drive a secondary one?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-shows-up-in-bios-but-not-in-my-computer.52949/
Relevancy 53.32%

So the drive took a small fall off the top of the computer, nothing major it was about 6 inches inside a Venus external enclosure. Well now it makes some noises on startup and I can't see the drive in windows. The bios sees it correctly on startup, as a MAXTOR Sabre drive, but when I run powermax, it just tries to initiate the drive (which makes it make noise) and sits there... I let it do this only for a short period because I didn't want to damage the drive...... any opinions?

A:Hard drive noises, BIOS sees it but nothing else does.

Try running the HDD standing ti on it's side and see if this works. I was able to rescue data from a HDD once using this method.
At any rate be prepared to backup immediately as you might only get one chance.

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-noises-bios-sees-it-but-nothing-else-does.37181/
Relevancy 53.32%

HiI am using windows xp on a 686running at 750Mhz
and my seagate 80Gb model no ST380011A is not detected in bios or at startup what can I do it was working well last week have changed it to secondary as a master and still no results ?

A:Hard drive not detected in bios or my computer

Hi ally1956

Recheck the drives jumpers and try a different IDE cable. Its possible that the drive has just died. Try downloading the manufacturers drive test and running that. Is the drive under a warranty?

http://www.seagate.com/support/software/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-detected-in-bios-or-my-computer.221505/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Dell Diminsion 4300. When I bring up the bios screen, only Primary Drive 0 (PD-0) has information. Primary Drive 1 and the two Secondary drives have 'unknown'. Presently they are set to off. In actuality, there are three IDE drives, PD-1 40 GB, SD-1 40 GB and PD-0 120 GB.

How do I get the bios to see the information for the two 'unknown' drives. Usually this isn't a problem for me when I run Windows XP but apparently grub (Linux) requires this information if I don't want to do the grub-install on PD-0.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-unknown-in-bios-screen.56954/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey, I just installed the RC last night and everything was going okay until I restarted my computer and my backup drive disappeared. It was accessible until I restarted, I didn't install any new drivers.

It's an IDE drive.. it doesn't show up in Disk Management either so I'm kind of stuck at what to do. Any ideas?

Thanks!

A:Hard Drive shown in BIOS not in Windows

Click the start button.. then right click on Computer.. go to Management... in the system management window go down to Disk management.. it should show ur disk there.. you probably need to assign it a drive letter and viola ur done

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/22836-hard-drive-shown-bios-not-windows.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi!
well my BIOS detects my additional 160 Gb hard drive (set as slave on the same cable to the master C and sets it to 137.4Gb which is the first issue. Why 137.4Gb? But the main problem is XP does not detect my drive at all. What do I need to do to achieve this? I am running SP2 fully updated in terms of the security updated but I've never particularly bothered with other XP updates.
Hope you can help!

Regards,
eVIL R

Relevancy 53.32%

I just bought a wd 320 giga SATA hard drive. I have an asus a7n8x Deluxe motherboard. The SATA/Raid controller is installed or at least the bios says it is. The drive is recognized as the "primary", but it will not put it as the Master hard drive--only says it's the primary later in the bios post. Windows does not recognize it at all. When I try to install Windows XP, it says no hard drive detected, and tells me to hit F3 and Goodby. I have re-flashed the Bios about 2 dozen times with versions 1005 thru 1008 (the latest). I've changed the data cable. Nothing works. Anybody got a great idea i've missed? Would like to have the SATA, but will have to return it if I can't get bios to recognize it.

Relevancy 53.32%

Hey all I have a problem with a computer I m working on for a friend I have reformatted various computers in the past but this one is giving me a major headache I wiped the hard drive clean using active killdisk just like I have with previous computers but none have run into this problem After wiping the hard drive clean to install a fresh version of windows the bios startup screen is not coming up at wipe drive problems after bios hard all When I turn on the computer it is just a black screen with no signs of a computer doing anything no fan noise no bios screen no clicking bios problems after hard drive wipe In the past when I ve wiped hard drives the bios stays untouched but now it is doing nothing I have a xp cd bios problems after hard drive wipe that I planned on using but since I can t get to the boot screen to boot to the cd drive I m screwed Does anyone have any experience with this This is the first time I ve run into such a problem

A:bios problems after hard drive wipe

Does the monitor read "no signal"?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/351119/bios-problems-after-hard-drive-wipe/
Relevancy 53.32%

I'm installing a second hard drive in a fairly old PC (bought ~1998).

It has Win 98 and currently only a 4GB HD.

I'm trying to install a Western Digital 80GB HD.

The BIOS is from 1998 and the motherboard number at the bottom of the start-up screen is 2A69KG0AC-00.

I have tried the IDE cables and jumpers in every combination possible both as a single drive and also as master/slave with the old HD.

It can read the old HD and CD drive but the new HD seems to be non-existent.

Could the BIOS be too old to detect the new HD?
- I've read up about upgrading or flashing the Award BIOS but don't know how to get a newer version. Is it a free download or do I need to buy an upgrade?
Many thanks in advance for any advice.....

Tim