Windows Support Forum

1st Build Power Supply Question

Q: 1st Build Power Supply Question

Hi, Guys (And Gals) I'm attempting my 1st PC build and HAVE used the various online power supply calculators... however I'd like to hear some feedback from you all. No matter where I look online I always like to come here to be sure. My specs for the build are as follows:

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-F2A68HM-H FM2+ USB 3.0 MATX
Amd A6 5400K 3600Mhz Blk Edt 1mb 65w Socket FM2

Video Card: XFX RADEON R7 240 2GB DDR3 LOW PROFILE
RAM: ADATA XPG V1 DDR3 1600 4GB

HDD: Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-6G

I would really like to use one of the 350W or 400W power supply I stripped from my previous PC's. I'm thinking of hooking it to an HDMI or VGA projector eventually though (Haven't bought it yet) Can I get away with one of these and play a game like World of Warcraft? or do I need to order something like the
SolidGear 650W PS2 ATX Power Supply on Tiger Direct?

Thanks in advance for any advice & thoughts

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: 1st Build Power Supply Question

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: 1st Build Power Supply Question

Over engineer the PS;

Calculate the actual needed power,

add a fudge factor and

multiply by 1.5.
Then round up to the next commonly available size

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1st-build-power-supply-question.213326/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello everyone - I have just assembled a new build It will not power up I need a suggestion to figure out if the problem is the case or the motherboard This is a mini-itx build power-up: power New or Build MB? no supply case's The case is New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? Linkworld LC - B This case comes with a volt watt external laptop-style power supply that plugs into the rear of the case just like New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? a laptop power supply plugs into a laptop - a barrel connector Inside this power connection connects to a power supply component that is not like a regular ATX power supply but is on a printed-circuit board New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? mounted on the case This has several capacitors and other stuff From that comes the -pin and -pin power supply lines for the motherboard I assume the -volt power supply for this external power supply unit is right since it came with the case It was watt The processor is an IBM t with TDP of watts Lower-powered CPUs can be put in a small so I assumed the power supply might be under-powered I ordered a -watt volt power supply with the right size barrel - and same polarity pos inside The MB is an ASRock H MV-ITX It is mini-itx form factor Still same problem Everything is connected correctly When I press the power-on button an external CD drive I have plugged-in spins up for a while But no power light comes on in the front of the case there are no POST beeps the fan for the CPU does not spin up No other signs of life So power is getting into the MB - the external CD drive is plugged into a USB socket in the rear panel of the MB After trying a watt and watt power supply I believe the problem cannot be the power supply cord Can it be that I have too little load I don t think so I plugged in another mm fan and an ol-fashion floppy drive just the power connection to add more load - same thing no power-up no POST nothing but the CD drive will spin up when I open-then-close it yet again So here is the help I need what else can I try -assuming the MB and case are fine is it more likely the case power supply is bad or the MB --Thanks nbsp

A:New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Well, I figured out the problem.
I am planning to re-do the older mini-itx system I have; it has gotten riddled with Trojan software for kids downloading games; it basically has been de-commissioned already.

So, I took the pico-psu power supply from that older computer, and hooked it up to the one I am making. Everything went perfectly.

So, I un-did that, removed the MB from case, disconnected the barrel-power connection from the case, unscrewed and removed the power supply that had been mounted in the case, put the pico-psu power supply back in place (I had to drill the hole for the barrel-connection out to be a little bigger since the pico-psu internal/external connection is threaded and held in place by nut with lock washer), and routed wires to be clear of cpu fan, screwed MB to stand-offs, and closed it all up.

now, everything is great. I like this linkworld case, but the power supply is worthless. I may try to get a few dollars back from the ebay vendor, to make me happy with a case that is less than what I should have gotten, but is working for me; I don't want to wait on returns, etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-no-power-up-cases-power-supply-or-mb.206259/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi all This question is in regards of what For new Supply? build Power wattage PSU I should use for this build I don t do lan gaming but I do like games I want to play Crysis Case Lian Li V B ThermalTake Armor CM Stacker T- Processor E Conroe Mobo Don t know yet Video Card Nvidia GTX or new release HD s or gig Seagates Sata Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy ZS Platinum Pro or Power Supply? For new build newer HSF Thermalright X - when released Floppy Card Reader Two DVD- Burners I will go to water cooling from Swiftech probably a year or so down the road My current system has a PC Power amp Cooling Turbo- Cooled ATX-PFC Deluxe and it has done me right My PC was on one night and I was sleeping a storm hit and I awoke to a burning smell that morning My PSU was fried but it didn t take any of the components with it That smell stayed in the house for three weeks I was personally thinking of a watt PSU but if I m off base here let me know I looked around at PC Power amp Cooling site and didn t see that size Open for advice thanks nbsp

A:Power Supply? For new build

You can get 1000watt psu's now, they arent hard to find, check thermaltake, silverstone, I know they have good ones. 850 would probably be minimal for that thing you're running.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-for-new-build.77117/
Relevancy 73.1%

The specs will be ASUS A N SLI or ABIT A N SLI abit if the board New Help For build!!! Power Supply ever comes out AMD pin x Ultras vid mem Power Supply Help For New build!!! in sli mode x mb gb Corsair XMS DDR Pc DDR Pc if compatable with Abit Mother Board x gb Western Digital HDDs in Raid x LiteOn CDR RW Combo DVD x LiteOn CDR RW DVDR RW x Floppy x UV Tube x LED Case Fans I was thinking this w http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId But i would like this one b c of the X-Connect Feature with UV Cables look so nice http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId My only concerne with the w it that i will not have enough power And i dont know what the quot Effencey quot of the Ultra Power Supplys are And i have seen on newegg com that the quot Effency quot can be as low a So of the power will be gone meaning you dont rilly have w or w So if any one can help me with this thanks in advance Thanks Da Bob nbsp

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi all Originally i was going to build a new PC with a single GTX video card I choosing Power Need build a Supply new for help have since opted to build something a little different though I was just wondering what size power supply you guys would recommend to me for my new build The full specs are CPU AMD Phenom II x Black Edition Mobo Gigabyte GA-MA X-UD P RAM Corsair XMS x GB DDR - HDD Western Digital Caviar Black TB x for Raid Video Cards Asus ATI Radeon HD s in Crossfire Optical Drive Asus DRW- B LT Cooling the CPU will be Need help choosing a Power Supply for new build the Zalman NT and will all be housed in the Antec Nine Hundred Two gaming case I was originally planning for a watt Corsair Power Supply Unit for this system But i am beginning to wonder if that will actually be enough for the system What do you guys think Is it enough If not can you recommend me a good Power Supply Please dont say stuff like quot you should get an Intel CPU and a single better video card quot because i have already made my mind up on this system Thanks in Advance nbsp

A:Need help choosing a Power Supply for new build

The Corsair line of power supplies is excellent. If you are not comfortable with the 650 try the 750; what do you need from the 12v in amps/wattage for Crossfire? Will you be overclocking?

By the way, love the cpu and 4850's in Crossfire and those WD Blacks have a good reputation. Is your system minus the psu ready to be assembled?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-choosing-a-power-supply-for-new-build.146440/
Relevancy 72.24%

just obtained acrosshair iv formula motherboard with sempron 100 series processor and 3gig ddr3 1333/1066 non-ecc un-buffered memory question
do i need to get a ATX cpu or will my old 450 watts power pack be ok

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/new-build-help-required-power-supply-4604750/
Relevancy 72.24%

here s what I have SILVERSTONE SST-TJ B-X Tyan thunder mobo CORSAIR CMPSU- TX W power -- new wrong supply? build ATX V EPS V x AMD Opteron Barcelona GHz x KB L Cache MB L Cache Socket F W Quad-Core Server new build -- wrong power supply? Processor x CORSAIR ValueSelect GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC gb total ASUS EN GTS HTDP M GeForce GTS MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card I have the mobo in the case the chips heatsink one hd the ram the graphics card installed in the case When I turn the power switch on the fans all start spinning but they all spin with this pulsating rhythm and the case led display flashes with that rhythm as well On the mobo there are three power connectors that were supposed to go to my mobo a pin got it and pin got that too and a pin I have pin cables a pin jack on the mobo i plugged in the pin jack When I hit the power switch for the first time nothing happened when I removed the pin plug out of the pin jack the machine powered up but with that weird rhythm I described this is from the motherboard manual - Installing the Power Supply There are three power new build -- wrong power supply? connectors on your Thunder n M S -E The Thunder n M S -E requires that you have an EPS V power supply that has a -pin an -pin and a -pin power connectors NOTE Please be aware that ATX x ATX V and ATXGES COLOR blue important COLOR blue important power COLOR blue important supplies color color color may not be compatible with the board and can damage the motherboard and or CPU s Click to expand Also when I turn the new build -- wrong power supply? machine on with a monitor connected nothing happens I don t see any bios info I ve tried both the video card and the mobo monitor inputs I have a belkin switch attached I ll try removing that and having the monitor hooked up directly I think I have the RAM in correctly I looked in the manual there are ram slots and I have sticks I looked on newegg for a power supply that should work but wasn t sure has anyone run across this issue before thanks bp nbsp

Relevancy 71.81%

Hi I am a graphic designer switching to PC i have done wok on my old mac replaced ram hard drive dc in board but this is the first time that I will be building a pc from scratch Below are the parts I bought from new egg there is one pretty obvious problem i think small? too power any other build: issues? supply new the power supply is w This was an error I new build: power supply too small? any other issues? originally had a w cooler amster and someone recomended switching brands and i was careless i also forgot to get a wireless card my question is can I build this with the PSU I have and replace it later it was pretty in expensice and i am maxed out or is it going to be a bad idea This computer is not for gaming it is for graphic design in Adobe including some aftereffexcts and flash Newegg com - GIGABYTE GA-X A-UD R LGA Intel X SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard Newegg com - G SKILL GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F - CL T- GBNQ Newegg com - CORSAIR CMPSU- CX W ATX V V PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i Power Supply Newegg com - Intel Core i - Bloomfield GHz x KB L Cache MB L Cache LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX Newegg com - EVGA G-P - -TR GeForce GTS GB -bit DDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Newegg com - ASUS Black X DVD R X DVD RW X DVD R DL X DVD-R X DVD-RW X DVD-RAM X DVD-ROM X CD-R X CD-RW X CD-ROM MB Cache SATA X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD DVD Burners Newegg com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD FALS TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Newegg com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i compatible V RR-UV -XBU -GP mm Rifle CPU Cooler Newegg com - COOLER MASTER Centurion CAC-T -UB Black Blue Aluminum Bezel SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case nbsp

A:new build: power supply too small? any other issues?

Well, I'd be real reluctant to fire that up with a 400W supply. When a supply goes, it frequently takes stuff with it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-build-power-supply-too-small-any-other-issues.941143/
Relevancy 71.81%

I currently have this (and don't want them to collect any dust:
Asus Motherboard
Quad Processor
DDR Memory

Plus a couple hard drives, but absolutely nothing else. Since this is new to me, I'm asking:

1 - Is there a way the more experienced users would suggest going about a new case and how to know the appropriate power supply to buy.

2 - I bought the MB used from newegg.com, and it didn't come with any wires/connectors. Can you tell me what I'd need to fully be ready when I have all the components?

Thanks!

A:New build case & power supply recommendations

I havnt done this in a while but here it goes.....

If you dont have the propor heatsink/fan combo you will need one of those for your processor.

For your needs just get a quality 500w PSU by Antec, Silverstone, Thermaltake ect ect. No $20 bargain buys. If you plan on putting in some super fancy graphics card, take the minumum requirments for that card off the box and add 100 watts.

Wires you will need are just your SATA cables.

The PSU should come with all you need to connect it to your motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-case-power-supply-recommendations.156270/
Relevancy 71.81%

Decided to build a new machine today.

Mobo: MSI 7600-P23(FX)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W
Processor: AMD FX 6300

I have verified all power connections but when I press the power switch, all the fans begin spinning, but stop after only a second or two. Nothing else happens.

Any ideas on what to try or what is causing the problem?

Relevancy 68.37%

I have a server that I would like HD Power Supply Question Power Consumption & to upgrade to TB Hitachi HD s They claim max startup current of A and idling down in the A range The platform will be a -series X with a Core Duo Graphics card is small does not even require aux power connector Not needed to just supply the KVM with x No other signficiant sources of V drain exist other than the MB CPU a slim CD-Drive for installs a slim floppy and one additional GB Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption SSD startup drive W when active I am looking at an W Corsair I ve heard these are quality supplies and I don t want Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption multiple rails since no one really knows what sort of Voodoo goes on as to how they divide multiple rails up And I don t want to get into that I will be using a single-rail V PS I can add a second if I need to but I d rather not Do you think this will be sufficient for handling Hitachi hard drives quot Green quot drives are a non-starter since they will drive my Raid controller and then me off the deep end with TLER issues I do have staggered spin-up control of the drives with the controller Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption

Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption, Pt. 2 - Laptop vs. 3.5"

My second question is this - I have a BTV server that needs to be on at all times during the season to record shows during day and evening.

Suffice it to say that you CANNOT reliably put one of the critters into sleep/hibernate mode and expect it to wake up and reliably record a show. It just won't happen.

Now, this is one case where I can use "Green" 3.5" drives, but I am also considering banking 500GB 7200RPM or even 5400RPM laptop drives. These will all be on a raid controller, but since they will be in pass-thru mode or RAID 0 mode the controller won't freak over TLER like it would with RAID 5/6 and mark the drives bad. The controller also has more than adequate cache to handle a 5400RPM spindle as OTA HDTV generates little more than 2.5MB per second per channel. Even 4 channels at once is 10MB/s and that should not tap the ability of a 3Ware controller with cache on 5400 RPM RAID 0 or even pass-thru drives.

My question is this - 2 500GB laptop drives burn much less startup and idle current than a single 1TB 3.5" drive. Has anyone tried running multiple laptop drives on a RAID controller, and what sort of luck have you had? What sort of sustained throuput can you obtain?

Electricity is a huge factor here, at 12 cents per KWh. I can recover the marginal cost of 2 500GB laptop drives vs. 1 1TB 3.5 drive.

Case construction and drive cages are not the issue here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question-hd-power-consumption.128749/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hope someone can advise me with my situation.
I have a Quad based system based on an an ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard with an AMD Phenom 9950 Quad core cpu and fan. I have an EVGA GTX 260 video card installed and the rest of the system is made up of 2 Seagate SATA hard drives, 2 SATA DVD RW drives, 1 Creative Audigy Patinum card with the drive bay front access, I also have a multi card reader in the system and the rest is made up of system fans that come with the ASUS Vento 3600. My question is what size power supply do I need to have my system operating stably? Right now I have a 600 watt ower supply but I am not sure if this is adequate. I apologize if this is a silly question but I really need the advice.
Thank you all in advance.
Winston

A:Power supply question

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...g6G-ntqb190Rj0S4g&sig2=l-HPpJY0rxDkkNKqJrq4xA

add 30% to the results.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.140198/
Relevancy 66.65%

I just got a new 500 watt power supply. The old one was overheating. The new one has a switch for a normal fan or turbo fan. The temperature runs around 48 C most of the time but has spikes up to 70 C (I have a temperature monitor software). When I put it on Turbo the system stays nice and cool all of the time. Is it going to hurt anything to leave it on Turbo all of the time? Thanks,

A:Power Supply Question

It will hurt nothing but your power bill (how ironic), and your ego if you are competing with someone for the quietest machine.

Of course, it may decrease the time before the fan bearings wear out, but I don't think that's a big concern at all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/84659-power-supply-question.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I'm trying to find one on Frys.com thats less $40 or less, theirs plenty and I was looking at http://www.frys.com/product/5816003?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
http://www.frys.com/product/5692311?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I need one for my http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3856266&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

HP a6700f, will one of those work? I need more than 350watts but I don't know what to choose, what will last long, etc... anyone got any ideas?

Relevancy 66.65%

I recently changed from a 300W psu to a 480w psu. I have windoctor mobo monitoring software that came with my jetway mobo. This software shows the cpu speed, fan speed, temps, voltages etc.
Since the psu upgrade, the warning on the neg voltage (-12) is poping up an showing a value of right at -13 volts. Is this a problem to be concerned about?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Mark

Relevancy 66.65%

With the cost of electricity nowdays, I was wondering about power supply electrical consumption:
Does a typical power supply draw the exact amount of current it is rated at on a consistent basis or does it adjust itself to only use as much AC current as the computer is using at whatever time?
For example, say I have a computer that draws 150 watts of power for its use but it had a power supply that is rated at 450 watts. Would the electrical usage of this computer be 450watts, 150 watts or some other amount?

The power supply's energy consumption is directly related to the amount of hardware that's attached to it, therefore a 450W PS might draw a little more power than a 300W PS, but not necessarily depending on the PC's power requirements from the CPU and drives.

As per your example, I would expect the 450w supply to draw approximately just a little more than 150w.

The rating put on the supply is the max wattage drawn before the supply becomes overheated or unstable.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.124754/
Relevancy 66.65%

Alright I m a little frustrated right now Supply Power Question but it might actually be a good thing I was planning to buy an ULTRA X w power supply from TigerDirect com but when I looked today it was listed as unavailable just my luck The unit was listed at xx and came to about with shipping Anyways I ve been searching around and there are few retailers that sell this unit it s been unavailable from ULTRA s online store However while I was browsing more listings I came across a sweet deal for the X w model only This model is listed on Tiger for plus shipping So I Power Supply Question just bought the unit because it was almost what I would have paid for the w on Tiger came to with shipping My question is w is probably way overkill for my system would a PSU this powerful A on a single v rail damage my system s components if I were to use it anyway I think I need a minimum of w for Power Supply Question this system - Intel q two GT s in SLi three hard disk drives and two DVD drives Not a very power-hungry setup so I am a bit worried about using this PSU Any input on this Power Supply Question would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Wait for a second/third opinion, but I believe it would NOT, as the system would only draw the power needed from the PSU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.108996/
Relevancy 66.65%

Im currenlty upgrading from a Socket A MB with an AMD Processor to a Socket 939 with a AMD Dual Core Processor. My current power supply is i think 300watts to 350watts somewhere around there. Do i need to upgrade the PSU to handle the new Processor. I will also maybe be using around 6USB ports.

Relevancy 66.65%

My computer currently says on its system specs that under Power Supply Minimum of watts hz Voltage is like - Most up to date video cards need watt power supply Question Supply Power and im guessing mine is just watts Its a sony vaio Power Supply Question btw My old video card ATI Sapphire Radeon MB DDR x-AGP TV-Out DVI OEM I can t find out the minimum power supply for it so my conclusion is it was never included in any of the system specs becase it needed i guess the norm amount most computers at that time should have I found this watt power supply for just at http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp Sku T - If i do decide to buy it are there any specifications before i buy a power supply to make sure I l be Power Supply Question able to pop it into my desktop Just like anything because I don t want to buy this then figure out that watts doesn t go with my watt pc Is this a safe buy nbsp

As far as I`m aware, Sony use generic psu`s. However, it might be a good idea to check with sony, just to make sure.

As for the psu you`re thinking of buying, don`t. It only has an output of 18amps on the 12volt rail.

This psu HERE, would be a much better buy.

Thanks to DonNagual for the psu link.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.46896/
Relevancy 66.65%

im having some weird problems that i think are power supply related. i tried motherboard monitor 5 and i had the alarms set for the voltage. the alarm is set to 5% and as soon as i do anything after applying it, the alarms go on for the 3.3v and the 12v. the 12v drops to about 10v but i dont know the acceptable ranges.

Relevancy 66.65%

I'm wondering if perhaps my random reboots are power related. I've bought a new PSU (cheapy I'm afraid) to no avail. I've read in other forums that it's really a key to have the +12v rail over 20 amps for Athlon XP systems (even though AMD recommends only 15-18 amps) which my new power supply isn't (old psu wasn't either). Any suggetions on the what amps are needed on the different rails for best, most stable results? Any help would be great. Here are my system specs (no overclocking):

Operating System : Windows XP Professional
CPU/Processor : Athlon xp 2600 +
Motherboard : gigabyte 7nf-rz
Hard Disk : maxtor, Space: 120 GB
RAM: 2 sticks of 512 ddr 2700
Video Card : Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Video RAM : 128 MB
Sound Card : Soundblaster Live! Value

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-cpu-question.45218/
Relevancy 66.65%

I'm wondering if perhaps my random reboots are power related (all minidumps point to hardware). I can reliably recreate reboot when stressing computer through Prime95 or OCCT. I've bought a new PSU (cheapy I'm afraid) to no avail. I've read in other forums that it's really a key to have the +12v rail over 20 amps for Athlon XP systems (even though AMD recommends only 15-18 amps) which my new power supply isn't (old psu wasn't either). Any suggetions on the what amps are needed on the different rails for best, most stable results? Any help would be great. Here are my system specs (no overclocking):

Operating System : Windows XP Professional
CPU/Processor : Athlon xp 2600 +
Motherboard : gigabyte 7nf-rz
Hard Disk : maxtor, Space: 120 GB
RAM: 2 sticks of 512 ddr 2700
Video Card : Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Video RAM : 128 MB
Sound Card : Soundblaster Live! Value

the amount of current on the +12V rail needed will depend on the PSU. on a cheap PSU, they "play" with the numbers to make the amperage and overall power rating seem much higher than it truely is. (they basically rate the wattage at an ambient system temp much lower than the average system really is) They also have more current on the 3V and 5V rails (which newer systems no longer need).

for now you should strip your system down to bare bones. Run it with just the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, onboard sound, and the boot hard drive (make sure that power cables are disconnected to all other unused components)

boot up and try to make the system reboot, if it doesn't... then add 1 component at a time until you find your problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.45297/
Relevancy 66.65%

Ok, i currrently want to upgrade my video card from a crappy radeon X600 to a EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 card. I was reading reviews about it, and people said that the card runs hot and, for some people they had to upgrade thier PSU just to use the card. My question is how to tell if your computer and powersupply can support the card or not.
System specs

Proccesor-Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Ram-1 gig (but im upgrading to 3 gigs)
Dell
Windows Xp
Motherboard Model 0YC523

Thank you for taking time to read this

Relevancy 66.65%

Hello there, I have an old y580 and love it! I have been running it since its release date. Sadly my power supply has started to wear out and the cord has pulled out of the adaptor unit. Needless to say Lenovo does not sell these power supplies and the liteon and delta recommended supistutes are not sold either... in my search online I have come across "y580 power supplies" but I have noticed they at 19 v not 19.5 and 6.3 A not 6.15.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and knows if this is a big deal or will do the trick without throttling performance or damagaging my y580. Thanks!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Power-supply-question/td-p/3419706
Relevancy 66.65%

Does anyone here know if the talk I've been hearing about GF4 Ti's needing a minimum of 300 watt's with the power supply is fact or if it is some peoples idea of problems with compatability on certain systems? I went to the Dell and Gateway websites and they offer the 4600 in their systems that are powered by 250 watt supplys. I was hoping to find some facts on this. Also no reviews ever mentioned it.

A:GF4 Ti & Power Supply question

Everyone gets pretty confused about this. No, the card in itself does not require 300w, but will draw apx. 50w & up to 75w under load (extreme gaming) However, adding another 50w draw may tax your system, necessitating a 300w psu, or better.

to determine power supply requirements

Similar discussion-->
CPUs, Chipsets and Mobos > Power Supply Concerns . . .
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=377&highlight=power

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gf4-ti-power-supply-question.1033/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a question about the +12 rating on a PSU. I have a 14A rating. Is a higher or lower number better. Reason is, I'm looking to upgrade my video card, but don't want to change the PSU too.

The higher the number the better. Does your PSU by chance have two 12v rails? If so, you can add the two together (but not the -12v rail).

It'll all depend on what you have, and what you are trying to put in. If you are wanting to put in a newer graphics card, you'll want to be up in the 24A range total on your 12v rail(s).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.45704/
Relevancy 66.65%

Good day,
My power supply is making a strange noise on startup and after about 1 minute it settles, is there anything I can do about it besides replacing it?
The mother board connection is 24 pins and the power supply connection in the PC at present has a 20 pin + a 4 pin connector I do have a spare ATX power suply but it only has the 20 pin connector without the extra 4 pin connector, can I use that power supply in my PC?
Many thanks,
Brobilly

A:atx power supply question

1st of all define "strange noise". You need to post the EXACT make and model of the problematic power supply and the EXACT make and model of the spare power supply you have that you intend to use.

If your machine has a PCIe graphics card installed you cannot use the power supply with the 20 pin main connector. The +4 pin connector on the power supply with the 20+4 (pins 11, 12, 23 and 24) supply 75 watts of power to the PCIe bus.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/atx-power-supply-question.1017004/
Relevancy 66.65%

Ok I m getting to the place where I m starting Question Power Supply to wonder about my PS I have a Seasonic W modular I like it and would recomend it for anyone who wants a good quiet PS But I m Power Supply Question wondering I m running up against it s limit What I m currently running an AM x in a full ATX with GB across sticks of DDR I have four drives k RPM rpm slush drive in a mirror array on a PCI card a stand alone nic and a audigy and a gt vid a DVD RW drive Running a koolance loop running off Power Supply Question of a dual bay res pump A total of X mm fans connected to a scythe fan controller How close am I to my watts I m thinking of going to an SLI set up in the future with another gt or going quad core with an AM Will this hold it Ideas Thanks for your help nbsp

Try this link and see if it helps. Seasonic are certainly make quality power supply units.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.108617/
Relevancy 66.65%

But this one has to do with another cumputer here at work...

The power supply to one of the computers here at work is dead. Our tech guy came and took it with him but just called and lesft me a message asking how many pins the power supply has.

How/Where can I find this information?

A:Another Power Supply Question

If he has the power supply with him he should know how many pins it has. If he's asking about the main plug on the motherboard you can count the number of holes. It will either be 20 or 24.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/another-power-supply-question.653579/
Relevancy 66.65%

My computer bought a 300w power supply. today i bought a 350W power supply but the main connector is only 20 pins. and my old power supply used a 24 pin main power suppy, it still owrks but i was wondering if this is safe.

Nope. If your motherboard has a 24pin connector, and your PSU only has 20pins, it's not a good combo. Return the PSU before your computer suffers irreversible damage, and get the proper type of PSU.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.522800/
Relevancy 66.65%

hello,
i am planning to build the following MICRO ATX system

motherborad: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H, GeForce 7100, Socket 775, MCP-630i, onboard graphics and audio
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300, 2.60GHz, 2MB Cache, (775)
2 gb of ram
sata 500 gb hard drive
sata dvd re writer and a internal memory card reader
windows xp and may move to windows 7 later
i will power the monitor independently

I have a IN WIN BT611 case which has a 300 w power supply and dual 12 v rails. Do you think my system will be ok to run with the above following power supply ?
Its just that powersupply for these cases are hard to get hold off as they are quite bespoke,

Also, what do you think of the above combo for a new budget system ?

many thanks

A:power supply question

In Win is not in any means a reputable power supply manufacturer. If you're sure you want to use that exact case, then I'd recommend this power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151070&Tpk=tfx

Something like a Gigabyte 740G or 785G ATX board with an Athlon 62X2 5050e or 4850e would be my choice for a low-power system.. Especially the 785G has great upgrade potential and stability compared to an GeForce 7100 chipset board...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.849769/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hey guys -

What's your thoughts on a HEC Orion 585 Watt PSU?? There are both good and bad reviews online for it. Someone is asking $45 for it brand new, but I think its much closer to a $25 power supply now, which has me thinking its not the greatest, even if I can pick it up for $25...

Thanks!

Relevancy 66.65%

ok my power supply just died on me so i went online looking for a replacement..... but there are two cables i cant identify i see the ones that go to the MB the 24 pins i see the normal power ones and the sata ones the ones i cant identify look like male connecters three pin i know they connect to like the lcd infront of the case anyone know what they are called?

Relevancy 66.65%

I would like to know what Graphics card and power supply is compatible with an Acer Aspire M3450? I have bought a EVGA Geforce GTX 650 graphics card, but I know I need to upgrade the power supply also, and I need to know would be the best inexpensive power supply that I could install for it? The graphics card says it has to have a minumum of 20 amps on the +12 volt rail. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

I cannot find any real specs on that system. I assume you have checked and you do in fact have a pci-e slot on the mb.
Next
I need to know would be the best inexpensive power supplyClick to expand...

I would think you are installing this card for gaming. Gaming and cheap/inexpensive are mutually exclusive terms. If you are going to game with this system, you need a quality pw supply. Here is an example of what you need;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139031

You do need to understand that acer uses low end ie junk parts in their systems and even with a gtx650, you might not be satisfied with the performance of the system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.1117151/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have an emachines 2800+ Xp machine with a 250 watt PSU.

I am going to purchase a 256MB Radeon 9600 AGP. Do I need to worry about the PSU? If so, can I swap? Thanks folks

A:Power Supply question

Its hard, a 9600 isnt a power hungry ground breaking card, but a 250w is really low.

If you have the money I'd do it to be safe, otherwise if it would be a big struggle I'd roll the dice & stick with the current psw. I recon you'd be ok but you never know. Maybe someone would have a better insight here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.17751/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have come to the realization that my IBM PC PL - U s power supply can t handle two hard drives and a DVD-RW drive It s a watt When I burn a CD or start using the nd hard drive Power Supply Question harshly if I have music playing it Power Supply Question ll turn into a high-pitched squealing noise Also I get ticking noises out of two brand new Western Digital HDDs in this machine while I didn t in my watt Powermac The ticking immediately goes away when I unplug a drive and boot with only one on I looked in my closet and I have a Watt Astec ATX - power supply laying there that has the same layout as the one in the IBM now I think it is still alive My question is basically what chance do I have of frying the board if this PSU isn t as good as I remember and would those extra watts help my case enough to justify putting it in It came out of a Gateway GP - and is a replacement for the original so it s no more than years old I really don t want to fry the board is the only thing but I am getting sick of a dreadfully underpowered machine I just ran this http www journeysystems com powercalc and I got a recommended minimum of watts Any suggestions nbsp

When it goes kaput, its failing circuits are capable of failing voltage regulations in all directions and can subsequently fry about anything in the system, including the board.

Frankly, I think cheap power supplies are responsible for more main board deaths than any other single cause; but, that is just my opinion.

My feeling is that you can't trust any power supply in the sub-fifty-dollar range and maybe it would be better to stick to $60 and up. It seems a lot of my main board problems started going away when I started buying Antec supplies in the $60+ range. Mine are all in the 400- to 480-watt range. I might not need quite that much wattage; but, buying lower wattages doesn't save enough to worry over. Also, the higher the wattage of a quality power supply, the less the strain and the longer the life.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.564370/
Relevancy 66.65%

My friend has an HP Pavillion with an AMD Athlon XP that just all of a sudden stopped powering up. I haven't personally looked at it yet, but it sounds like the power supply to me. Its about 3 years old and he leaves it on 24/7. Anyways, he wants me to change his power supply for him. My question is What kind of power supply do those computers use? I mean like is there a certain type of mount or am i just gonna hve to open it up and take a look at it myself? Can i just get any kind? I've never taken apart a store bought computer and his warranty is up so he asked me to do it for him. I'm trying to price out a power supply but don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 66.65%

I know this is probably a very dumb question but how exactly do I install this power supply? Do I want the fan facing up or down? Thanks.

http://aspireusa.net/product.php?pid=26&xcSID=3d54ffcab4d5805a45166f9cae4761df
Also does anyone know how to fix an error code 9.F on an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye Motherboard?

Relevancy 66.65%

So i was reading a review on a chassis/case i recently bought...and they said that the psu sucks (i kno, most power supplys that come with case's usually arnt top notch) but then he went into the +12V being a 15.0A..now ive always known about these numbers but never knew WHAT it meant..anyone want to explain? lol

A=amperage, power(watts)=volts x amps(current)

The 12 volt rail(s) run the video card, CPU, drives, and fans. Often the video card specs say about the amps on the 12 volt rail you need. It's much better to look at the rail specs of a PSU because some PSUs will have most of the power on the 5 volt rail and be rated high power like 400-500 watts. For a basic system 18a on the 12 volt rail should do, but for a gaming system with a single high end video card you want about 30 amps. With dual video cards you need to spend some dollars!

[H]ard Fourm has some good stickies on PSUs

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.50770/
Relevancy 66.65%

I want to fit a new hard drive and was wondering if my pc could take it. i hav already fitted it with more memory (768MB total) and a usb 2 card. on my power supply it says 220W max (im in the uk and i think its different in america and other countries)

any1 know how i could tell if my comp could take it?

Relevancy 66.65%

Ok, so now i know about the ratings and such...this is the power supply im going to need

SLi-Certified
At least 450-Watt
24 Pin

but im not sure what size my powersupply is :rolleyes: i think its an ATX 12v but im not quite sure...I looked up some power supplies at new egg under that catagory and none of them were Sli-certified, but i guess it doesnt have to be, ill just buy a new case later on if thats what i need to do.

Thanks

A:Power supply question..again lol

I think I found a question in there somewhere......

You want to know if you can use a standard ATX power supply in your case? First we need to know what case you have. If you don't know, then you could also take a look at the PSU you have in there now and see what size it is. It will tell you on the sticker attached to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question-again-lol.51089/
Relevancy 66.65%

Recently my power supply got damaged due to a thunderstorm even tough I had a
good surge protector installed.

Obviously the best protection would be to disconnect the computer from the plug.

But I wonder if just switching the surge protector off would provide the same security ?
Or could a lightning still cause damages ?

AntonABC

Although highly unlikely, it's still possible that a really bad direct strike would still find it's way down the path in to your PC.

As long is there is an unbroken chain of wire from the house electric system to your PC, there is a chance (albeit an extremely small one) that you could still suffer some damage.

IMO - is this likely to ever happen? No. Don't worry about it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.841455/
Relevancy 66.65%

my power supply is new to me master power watt i ve been having a problem with random restarts or crashes Power question Supply fan during a specific game which i ve never had before WOW in hopes that its not my memory which is pretty new i ve been working on the heating issue i took the side of my computer off and aimed a small fan in it which seemed to take away the problem so i went out and bought a GPU fan which worked for awhile then the problem came back up so i bought a new case fan which hasn t worked when installing the case fan i realised that my powersupply has two fans neither of which spin when the computer is on i ve looked everywhere on my comp for a control to get these things going i was wondering if indeed this issue is able to resolved in the BIOS or in Windows itself or if my power supply is faulty any info would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Power Supply fan question

faulty powersupply imo, but not 100% sure

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-fan-question.51298/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a Dell 8400 with 3.2 Pent. 4 ,SATA 160 gb HD. a CD/DVD RW drive,a floppy drive and a SATA PCI Host card to drive an external SATA HD. It has a Radeon X300 series video card. The system has a 350 w power supply. If I changed the video card to a XFXGeForce 6800GS would I need a bigger power supply.

Relevancy 66.65%

I'm building a new computer and am wondering about power needs. How can you determine what wattage power supply is needed? What is it dependent on? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Relevancy 66.65%

I was wondering if there is a test I can run to see if my power supply is going bad or do I just have to wait until it craps out?

thanks.

They make power supply testers. I have seen them at Circut City and CompUSA.

What makes you think the power supply is gooing bad?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/power-supply-question-78925.html
Relevancy 66.65%

has anyone here had any expereince with LinkWorld power supplies? I am looking for a 230W AT p/s and found a very good deal but don't want to buy if it's a "dud"
thanks for the help...
abcowan

abcowan

230 Watt Replacement AT Power Supply
StarTech.com ID: PS2POWER230

Replace that older or non-functioning AT power supply with StarTech.coms ultra-reliable PS2POWER230 230 watt power supply. The PS2POWER230 is guaranteed compatible with Intel Pentium and AMD processors and designed for an extra long-life in personal and industrial computers. The PS2POWER230 power supply ensures stable system performance, using an automatic temperature control fan to move hot air away from sensitive components. A superior power filtration system is achieved through an EMI/RFI power filter. Low noise/ripple as well as short circuit protection are additional reasons why the PS2POWER230 is the ultimate power supply for system stability.

The StarTech.com Advantage:
Increases system reliability by preventing power supply overload
Equivalent Product Codes:
MultiMicro SKU: 054842
Ingram Micro SKU: 064371
D and H SKU: PS2POWER230

View large photo

View Canadian Prices

$48.00 MSRP (USD) Resellers Login

Call: 1-800-265-1844

Where To Buy:

Other StarTech.com Online Resellers
StarTech.com Resellers in Your Area
Government:

The StarTech complete line of parts are high quality and dependable. We always use their ps in high-end pcs and servers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.74836/
Relevancy 66.65%

So I am thinking about getting a new graphics card but i'm not sure if my power supply will be able to handle it. My computer will have:

Video Card: XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950
Power Supply: COOLMAX VL-600B 600W ATX 12V V2.3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
Ram: 12 Gigs DDR3

On the Newegg page it says the CPU needs 125W and the graphics card needs a minimum of 500W. Wouldn't that equal up to 625W? The Newegg PSU calculator says I will only need 520W, but i'm not so sure. Will I need to buy a new PSU?

Relevancy 66.65%

Hey all, new to site, Q.. Have a power supply, HP-D3057F3R Hipro. When plugged in ,no fans turn on, no hard drive spin, only flashing green light on back of power supply. This is a sata ps. ? power supply dead ? Thanks Also anyone know how to test this supply ? Thanks again

A:Hp power supply question

The easiest and quickest way to test the power supply is to take the tower to a shop where they have a power supply tester.

They can test the power supply and if the power supply is defective they also can "jump" a known good power supply to the motherboard to make sure that when the power supply failed it didn't take out the motherboard.

I do these tests quite often in my shop, takes about 30 minutes total time and the cost should be minimal perhaps $25-$30.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-power-supply-question.900256/
Relevancy 66.65%

OK, I feel like a real ***** -- we've been having some issues that I think may be power supply related. I'm trying to see what I've actually got in terms of a power supply, BUT...I can't find my original documentation that would list it (that's bad, I know, I think it's just filed somewhere where I can't lay hands on it), AND I can't seem to find anything on my computer, i.e., Device manager, etc., that identifies the psu by name, wattage, etc.

I'm running XP, can't find it under Device manager or anywhere else. I don't want to take the unit apart (yet). Any help is appreciated, thanks.

A:Question on power supply ID

open the case dude, its hardly what you would call taking it apart. Look at the label on the psu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-on-power-supply-id.93301/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a powermax power supply that I bought like a year ago at a local computer store Ive been having an issue with it It seems that sometimes it Power question supply wont power my computer it seems to power up and quickly shut off If I change the voltage setting it works fine but my pc doesnt boot up it just powers on The way Ive been getting it to work is that when it doesnt power on and stay on I hit the on off swith on the power supply itself I put it to on and i Power supply question push my power button on the front of my pc then it starts and stays on Sometimes it doesnt work like that but rather after I toggle on and off the power switch Power supply question on the power supply several times I have Power supply question no real idea what it could be has anyone ever had something like this happen BTW I took the power supply to get it tested and it works obviosly I dont know if its my power supply or maybe a motherboard issue or what Please help nbsp

First of all STOP cycling the power on and off. You will make a bad situation much worse. Next replace the ps. Cold boot problems that go away after the first failed boot are almost always ps problems. Do not buy a cheap ps like powmax, deer, allied, foxconn, raidmax or any other cheap brand. Go with a quality unit like antec, enermax, coolmax, enlight, or sparkle. There are other good brands, however those are what I use in my builds.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.419783/
Relevancy 66.65%

I strongly suspect that my power supply might be the culprit in my problems. My games tend to crash after awhile, and the computer acts all antsy for awhile. Anyway, I inherited this computer from my friend and he had it for a few years before that.

First of all, can dust and dirt have an effect on your power supply? If so, what is the best way to remove it? Can I use a vacuum or reverse vacuum? Is this thing going to shock me when I dismantle it? Any help greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 66.65%

Will any power supply hook up to intel or amd. Are power supplies universal. I'm buying a new case (case should fit my board) w/p.s. 430W Award ATX switching power supply. Are P4 ready supplies backwards compatable with P3. I'm still running on P3 for a while.
HP 8754c intel P3 that I will be transferring into new case until furture purchases. One of my current fan is going out and the wattage of the old power supply is running near peak or over.

430W Award ATX switching power supply
Model: EP-43058

115V- to 230V-
10A to 6A current
freq 60Hz to 50Hz

Hi,

Cases and the enclosed power supplies work on either as long as you have an ATX case and an ATX motherboard which most are right now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.246111/
Relevancy 66.65%

I'll be getting some new parts for my computer soon, but I'm not sure if my power supply will be able to take it all. This is what my system will look like:

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 6000+
RAM: 3 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 7950 GT
Power Supply: 305 W

I know the supply is a little low, but my system is a bit 'barebones', just the normal stuff, nothing extra. So, is my power supply fine?

Relevancy 66.65%

I am looking at new power supplies and was wondering if it pays to buy one larger than you need at this time?

Does a 550 watt power supply draw 550 watts all the time or only when needed? If they do not draw to their maximum capacity, it seems like it would be better to buy one larger than you need right now because the only cost would be the drive itself and not an increased electric bill and more heat.

Relevancy 66.65%

where do you find out what your power supply is

A:I have a power supply question

Looks like e.g. this: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1228

You will probably have to take it out of the case, to see make/model/specs of it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-a-power-supply-question.18663/
Relevancy 66.65%

the mother board i'm currently looking at supports like 6 sata drives, but of the power supplies i have looked at none have more than 2 sata power connectors, I don't know very much about sata and am wondering, Am I not looking hard enough for power supplies, or is there something I don't understand?

The SATA is used for connecting your drives. Your power supply for all I know doesn't need those type of connections. You just need SATA drives or SATA converters for your current drives, along with SATA cables. You could probably just by a power supply that has enough wattage for your motherboard and it should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.573043/
Relevancy 66.65%

I purchased an Antec 550Watt True PSU on a closeout table at CompUSA, at a great price. I believe that it's brand new, and it works great. There is, however, a cracked fan - the one visible at the rear or the case (one of the 4 corners has snapped off and it won't hold a screw). Otherwise, the fan spins and the unit seems stable with 3 screws. It's too late to return, but I don't want to anyway.

Should I replace the fan? I've never opened a power supply before. Or shall I just leave well enough alone?

Relevancy 66.65%

hi i just bought a new HP model Desktop PC the a n Desktop PC and it has a M N -LA motherboard and a -W power supply i want to upgrade the power supply so i can run better video cards but im worried that it might fry the whole computer the info about the computer can be found here http h www hp com ewfrf wc amp cc us amp dlc en amp lc en amp jumpid reg R USEN and info about the Supply Power Question motherboard can be found here http h www hp com ewfrf wc document docname c amp lc en amp cc de amp dlc amp product there was also a bit of discussion about upgrading a video card Power Supply Question in another thread and the person asking the question was using the same Power Supply Question motherboard somewhere in the thread the user mentioned having a -W power supply i want to know if i can upgrade to something similar just not as much here s the link for Power Supply Question the discussion if that helps any bit http forums techguy org hardware -m n -la-narra-mb-ati html i would greatly appreciate any help im new to hardware but im trying to learn i also dont want to fry my pc when i just got it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.632276/
Relevancy 66.65%

Kind of along the lines of my first question but I would like to know if a mobo comes with a connection for both AT and ATX power supply if you switch the kind of power supply (in this case an ATX from an AT) and dont move the jumper on the mobo to acommodate this will it blow the mobo?
The motherboard is a

1st Mainboard VA 503+

Thanks,
Sean

Relevancy 66.65%

I am in the market for a new power supply for my computer, and I was just wondering would it be bad to get a power supply with a fan on the top for a case with it's psu mounted at the top of the case?

Relevancy 66.65%

i have a 500 watt compusa brand power supply sitting in my closet. i want to put it in my PC. can i trust this power supply or should i question the quality of a CompUSA power supply? i have not heard the best things about them, but i want to hear what u guys have to say about it.

Relevancy 66.65%

Hey all,
I have a PC (eMachines 2.8 P4) that would not power on at all - no fan noise, lights, no nothing. I narrowed down the problem to a faulty power supply - power supply tester showed no power output and swapped in a new power supply and now have power.

Problem now is, I have no video to the LCD monitor. Graphics is onboard. The new power supply I put in is a standard ATX power supply that does not have the ATX2 12v 4-pin connector for the P4. Without this being connected, will this cause problems overall and specifically with the no video problem?

Also, I seen a inexpensive adapter to go to ATX2 using the standard ATX power supply. Any opinion on doing this? Thanks so much in advance.

Yes obvioously you do need the psu with the 4 pin connector.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.502678/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a Antec PP-303XP power supply and my problem is this. When plugged into a system board I can power it on just fine but, when I try to jumper the 14 and any black connection the power supply does nothing. I am trying to use this to test some other equipment that I have and I don't want to have to keep turning the system board off and on and mess something up. Any help would be appreciated.

Standard protection circuits for a commercial home user machine. You need a better power supply that is engineered to handle such things.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.136359/
Relevancy 66.65%

I currently have all my power connections taken up (2 SATA HD's, 1 IDE HD and 1 DVD Burner) my question is, can I buy a spliter\adapter so I can split one of them and hook up my lite on DVD drive to it too? It is a 425 watt PS so it should be able to handle it (i think)
thanks

Relevancy 66.65%

How can i find out how much watts is my PSU(POWER SUPPLY) without opening the computer. I bought an Acer Desktop and i did not choose the PSU so i do not know how many watts is it.

Thanks alot for your help.

A:psu (power Supply) question.

Go to the Acer site and look up your model specs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-power-supply-question.78744/
Relevancy 66.65%

this is probably a stupid question but i seem to have maxed out my power supply when i bought my computer i completely overlooked the PS Since my purchase i have bought some additional componets dvd writer and a CPU fan speed controller I have a w PS and can only connect one of my new components dont have another free power cable usually my CPU has a temp of degrees with all mm fans going if i disconnect fan and use the free power cable for my new component my CPU runs at which i dont think is bad at all BUT if i run my PVR software especially when converting video formats my CPU temp hits - C Do i need replace need one? Power a i - Question Supply new do my w PS with a higher wattage ie w Or is there a safe way to split a power cable I definitely want to get Power Supply Question - do i need a new one? my extra fan going asap i m planning on eventually overclocking my CPU so i m a little concerned abt temperature any help would be Power Supply Question - do i need a new one? greatly appreciated nick nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

Hey everyone,

I'm just buying new parts for a home-made computer. I can't find a PSU that has enough watts to power these parts :

AMD Athlon? 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor

NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard

XFX PVT71JYHE9 Geforce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP ExTreme Edition Video Card

I don't know how many watts a PSU should have to power those parts, and more (SDRAM, hardrives, etc.).

Please Tell me how many watts i would need, and where a good site would be to buy one. Or, Reccomend a PSU for a good gaming computer.

Thanks.

A:Power Supply question... Please help!

Blackjack said:

Hey everyone,

I'm just buying new parts for a home-made computer. I can't find a PSU that has enough watts to power these parts :

AMD Athlon? 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor

NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard

XFX PVT71JYHE9 Geforce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP ExTreme Edition Video Card

I don't know how many watts a PSU should have to power those parts, and more (SDRAM, hardrives, etc.).

Please Tell me how many watts i would need, and where a good site would be to buy one. Or, Reccomend a PSU for a good gaming computer.

Thanks.Click to expand...

Look for 400-500 watt PSU.

www.mwave.com
www.tigerdirect.com
www.dalco.com
www.newegg.com
www.compusa.com

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question-please-help.61234/
Relevancy 66.65%

Ok, I just bought a DFI Lanparty mobo for my AMD 64 3000+.

Anyways, I set up everything and turned it on and it worked fine till I started to install drivers. After installing the drivers, I rebooted and my Power Supply started making a funny smell, and my UV case lights wouldn't work anymore, yet everything else still seems fine. My UV cases lights were actually plugged into the same power cord as my Video Card and HDD and they still seem to work fine. Could the smell just be the UV case lights burning out? Could it be my Power Supply? I'm confused.

Relevancy 66.65%

Okay, guyz and galz. Is it possible to replace the power supply on an Emachine (Etower 766) to a 300W power supply?

Or is it time for a new computer?

Relevancy 66.65%

Hi,

I am upgrading my son's Pc...Here is a link to his Pc specs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/EMachines_T2865_Athlon_XP_2800_2_08_GHz/4507-3118_7-30603201.html

I am adding 1G of ram and buying him a Geforce 7800 graphics card (256 MB)

I was told he would need a bigger power supply first..considering the Pc came with only a 250w.

I looked on a few sites and they recommend a specific brand...a Bestec ATX-300-12e 300watt. I was hoping to go up to a 350watt (but this bestec doesn't even make a 350) or will 300 be fine? I usually always buy from newegg but they don't carry any bestec. So I guess my question is....is a 300w ok with the upgrades I am doing on his pc? Thanks for any help you can give me.

A:Power Supply Question.....

The computer should be able to take a standard ATX power supply. Go for an Antec, FSP(Fortran), Sparkle, Emermax, or Thermaltake power supply of at least 400 watt or better.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.484333/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello all, I am planning to get new hardware later:

- Motherboard: MSI H57M-ED65
- Intel Core i5 750
- Asus ATI 5770 1GB
- 2x2 GB 1333MHz or 1600MHz, Corsair

I have a question: how strong power supply I need for those hardware?
Thanks in advance.

There is more to a pw supply than simply a wattage rating. For your hardware, I would use something like this corsair unit

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.940345/
Relevancy 66.65%

alright,so right now i have a 250 watt power supply and i want to upgrade to 300 watts. my friend gave me his atx-730 300 watt power supply (made by enhance). I opened up my computer to replace my old power supply and while i was unplugging it i realized that my old power supply has a connection labeled "p7" which is 4 pin connector arranged as a square (2x2). The problem is, the atx-730 doesnt have one of these connectors. I dont know what this connection does or if i should continue without the p7 part. anybody know what i should do?

A:Power supply question, please help!

If that cable was just 'there' without being connected to the motherboard, don't worry about it.
It is only needed for Intel P4 CPUs and lately also for AMD64 S939 CPUs to supply extra power to the CPU. A motherboard that requires it would have a matching receptacle for it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question-please-help.40275/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hey guys,

I was wondering if this ps

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018&Tpk=cooler+master+extreme+500w

could run a 500g 7200 rpm hard drive, AMD 64 3.0 ghz 6000+ cpu, 8800 GTS 640mb, and a really old dvd rom : )
There will be absolutely no upgrading to this cpu and I would be gaming and watching movies casually.

Thanks a bunch!

Relevancy 66.65%

PSU question Is my PSU adaquate for my system I have an Antec Basiq w Gigabyte GA-MA GM-US H AMD X Brisbane GHz dual core GeForce GT MB graphics Kingston Gb DDR RAM PC - Western Digital RE Gb HD Samsung Spinpoint Gb HD question supply Power Antec TriCool mm fan as nd fan Sony DVD recorder LG Blu-Ray HD-DVD Power supply question rom DVD-recorder GGC-H LK Computer started having power issues hours after having played a blu-ray movie Power supply question in it for the first time the other day The computer would randomly turn off like it lost power Sometimes I can get into the OS for a long time sometimes it would power off Power supply question as it got to the BIOS screen All the hardware seems to work including every fan including the cpu fan The computer does not seem to get any hotter than normal CPU is not currently being overclocked There are no BSODs The computer was fine before playing the blu-ray movie The parts are no more than three months old and only used for less than a month The computer is plugged into an APC battery backup which seems to work

I think so mate it looks like a lot of hardware in there to be powering. I mean each component probably is not drawing much but you do have a lot of hard drives and fans etc etc and 8 gb of ram. I think it would not hurt to have a bit more juice to run your parts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/13115-power-supply-question.html
Relevancy 66.65%

just a quick question my hardware is -
intel i7 860 @3.7ghz
gtx 480
6gb ram
dhh55 mobo
and a hard drive and a dvd-rw driver
would a 650m watt corsair psu do for that system?

Is this a new power supply?
If yes, then the power supply should work ok

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.1038277/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello,

Trying to diagnose a computer problem.

The computer does not boot up. It starts, and all fans are spinning, and the HD ( I tried 2 hard drives actually) seems to be spinning.

I am wondering if the PS is failing?

If the PS is done, will you get ANY power at all, or will you press the on button, and get no juice?

Also, there is no burning or "heat" smell coming from the PS.

If it is not the PS, my next guess is the MOBO, but I am not really sure how to test if a MOBO is pooched.

Thanks in advance.

Parm

Relevancy 66.65%

I have an ancient ASUS P V X mobo it s fine and I upgraded to a higher wattage PS days ago a Sigma since I have a DVD Burner HD s Sound card NIC AGP video etc The old PS was only a w unit hence the upgrade The new one works fine but I noticed in the BIOS I was looking at the voltages and they are as follows VCore v v v v v it fluctuates - v - it fluctuates - v - v solid I don t get the - v as showing - v it s solid never fluctuates and I m not even sure what a - v is for can set it to ignore if I choose I do NOT use SATA drives just your standard ATA Maxtor s and I do NOT have a PCI-Express video card Any ideas on why the - v shows a - v question Supply Power -5V Nothing is burning - yet nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-5v-question.681286/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi, im about to start buying a new mobo and possibly another video card, and was wondering if my current PSU, a SilverStone Zeus ST56ZF 560W, can handle the HDDs listed in my system specs, the processor listed, the video card currently listed, and the new mobo? Right now, that's my main concern, but i am also curious to know if that PSU might be able to handle that new load with two GeForcr 9800GT cards SLI'd together?

the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186152

Also, i really appreciate the help, so thanks!

Relevancy 66.65%

This afternoon I started hearing a noise from a fan. Not real loud but it was just louder than usual. I took the cover off and it is the Power Supply fan that is making the noise. Everything still works OK, but just curious if this has happened to any of you and if you think this might be the Power Supply on the way out. Thanks,

Mine started ding that after a few months. I decided to get an RMA on it but never bothered and it's still running fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/332477-power-supply-question.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have been looking at different power supplies but don't know what to get.
I have noticed that many have sinle rail, some dual and some have quad. Does this really make that much difference ? What would you suggest ? This going into a new computer so I can upgrade the video card. Probably 600w or more.
Thank you for your help.

Relevancy 66.65%

I have an old Dell 0M3918 Motherboard that has the original power supply. I'm looking to upgrade that power supply so that I can have more power, and most of the power supplies I've seen are 20 pin connectors. The board uses a 24 pin connector. Are these new PSUs compatible with my board? I can see they have a 4 pin connector that's 2x2, and my assumption is that you use that as well, but my PSU has one of those anyway and its currently plugged in at a different spot on the motherboard, well away from the main 24 pin connector.

All the 24-pin power supplies I've seen have a detachable four-pin part to make it compatible with the 20-pin boards. (The wiring is the same on the first 20 pins.) It usually is not visible in the product pictures; but, it is there. I have seen some detail pictures of supplies at NewEgg.com where you can see the demarkation point between the 20-pin part and the extra four pins. That's where it breaks.

As for the extra four-pin connection, that is separate entirely from the twenty-four pin part.

You can see fairly detailed pictures at NewEgg.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.859385/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hey guys question Power supply my dad is having a problem and he s at Best Buy Power supply question I know right Anywho He plugs up a new monitor turns on the PC some loud beeps I say take your memory sticks out and put them in one by one He didn t tell me at the time that eventhough the PC wouldn t come on the heatsink fan was still running So I said your powersupply may be bad am I on the right track Someone tells him its the video card rolls eyes He ditches the mb sticks old and keeps the s Monitor comes on It worked for about an hour when he turned it off and turned it back on the loud beeps again Mind you the fan was still running The geek squad is telling him its the motherboard never checked the power supply Am I on the right track he should check the power supply I even offered to use the power supply in an HP that Im not using if the wattage is comparab nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

I did a check to see how much power my computer needed and apparently it needs 38w. Is this right? It has a max output of 230volts and i am looking to get a new video card, i know i will need a new psu you to sufficiently power it, i might get a 400. Would this be enough? Thanks

A:Power Supply Question, 38w?

Where di you see the 36w at?
For a typical desktop, you're probably looking around 300-400w, but then again, if you tell us the computer specs, you could get an answer with better accuracy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question-38w.131872/
Relevancy 66.65%

iv recently had some bad computer luck. what happened is that my computer would shut off at random for no reason and the light on the front would blink untill i unplugged the power supply then it would stop id try again and the same problem would happen. now it doesnt even start it freezes while loading i think its because it doesnt have enough power to run the devices in my computer. does anyone know if this is my power supplies fault

blinking could mean a few things including your computer shut down due to serious overheat, under powered, cpu failure, ...
is there dust inside your computer?
is there dust on the fans of your computer?
when you turn your computer on can you go into your bios and find an area that gives your temperatures, fan speed, voltage??????

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/power-supply-question-345784.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi. Whats the highest watts that a micro atx power supply goes?

A:question about power supply...

Using http://www.google.com

The biggest I found was 300w - made by IROCK. I did not post a link as the site was popup he!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-power-supply.130803/
Relevancy 66.65%

I'm building a Gaming rig for as cheap as possible.
150$ cpu - video card - 50$ mobo . I checked the Newegg power supply chart and it says I should get 450w.

I can get a 80 certified 500w PSU for 40$ or a 600w non 80-cert psu for 30$.

Newegg.com - Diablotek DA Series PSDA600 600W ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply 30$
Newegg.com - COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply 40$

If my system really only pulls 450w, would the 500w work?
more importantly, even if the 600w only runs at 75 percent, it should work also right?

I dont have 50 bucks to blow on a PSU. Hardly 40.

Anyone know of a great PSU for cheap?

A:Power supply question.

Currently Im hoping this one will work.
Newegg.com - hec HP585D 585W ATX12V Power Supply - No Power Cord - Power Supplies

its only 25$

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/214220-power-supply-question.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello everyone ...

Although I am a huge PC enthusiast, I am building a different sort of machine that makes use of a typical PC Power Supply.

OK, I'll just admit it ... I'm making a food dehydrator ... and I need to rig some fans to facilitate airflow / convection.

Here's my idea: Use a powersupply, connected to several PC fans, to drive that airflow through the dehydrator itself.

My question: The main 20 pins connector (coming from the Power Supply) needs to have a jumper on some pins .... right? Which ones? How do I rig this puppy so it's stand-alone and powers the fans only?

Thanks!

They are all posted on good power supply manufacturer sites... and in such books as Building and Repairing PC's.

The problem is that food properly handled in a dehydrator requires better, and more consistent airflow, and temperature controls, than any power supply I have seen can handle... leading to spoilage. You are likely to have quality control problems... no to mention insects.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question.137800/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi I heard something about some power supply s are actual not the same output wattage they and supply question fan power are rated as quot i heard that it should be quot heavy power supply and fan question quot if its atruly that wattage for exampel i have an OKIA- ATX okia watt max power supply but it doesnt feel to heavy Is this a bad power supply In my current computer i have a RAIDMAX max power supply and i dont know if thats enough thinking of switching to my one its a computer with an amd xp overclocked to mb video cardf mx mb ddr memroy cd burner dvd rom drive floppy drive case fans sound card sound blaster k modem gb hard drive is the raidmax enough power supply and fan question for this also i have another computer with only watt power supply and im thinking of upgrading it i was gonna put in the okia one but dont wanna waste it on a less power supply and fan question powerful computer if my xp compuer needs it instead of the power supply my other computer has tehse specs amd xp mb ddr cd burner dvd drive floppy k modem gb hard drive thanks also last question - what are quot brushless case fans quot thanks nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

Hi guys, i just ordered a power supply and it came in with the P1 connector having only 19 wire /pin. It is missing 1 pin/wire. Is it suppose to be like that? Can I still use the power supply?

Thanks

Relevancy 66.65%

Should a powmax 400W PSU be able to handle an AMD sempron 2600+ with a cdrom, harddrive 3 led fans and a 6600GT. Cuz my system won't even power up anymore. And I've had this thing since roughly mid-march.

Kagami. Powmax are known to be crappy PSU's. It most likely crapped out on you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-question.358941/