Windows Support Forum

Cannot access files

Q: Cannot access files

Hi guys,
I need some help. I have aseagate 1TB ext. hard drive. I cansee it as G drive bit cannot access the files. Strangely I did get the same issue some time back and I ran th seagate tools and the bad sector was resolved. This time I was trasfereing the video files and after completing the task the drive is visible in my computer but I cannot access the files. Whole lot of data is stuck and pretty important too. Kindly suggest a solution.
Windows 8 in use

Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-files.195769/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Cannot access files

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 45.58%

I can not get into any files from the start menu or any other way and if I try to load anything from the CD drive I get access Denied can't find "filename.exe". This computer is running windows 2000 and has 160 MB of ram and a 450 MHz CPU. It appears that if it has an .EXE file extension it will not work. Any suggestions?

A:Solved: Can't access files (Access Denied) exe files will not work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-access-files-access-denied-exe-files-will-not-work.274395/
Relevancy 41.71%

i got my new windows computer about i blooking access to new which and virus unknown creating cant files folders access days ago and just yesterday i notice the unknown virus blooking access to files and creating new folders which i cant access computer was acting strange but i ignored it since i didnt know much about this computer but today i went to my computer folder and i notices a new folder had been created in hard disk drive called local disk q i remmember i didnt creat it and that it wasnt there since i was there like five minutes ago when i was there to get my picture from my USB another reason is that i had been there alot since i was suprised that there was no C drive any ways i downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it proved my Suspicion or dout it found this here is the log Malwarebytes Anti-Malware www malwarebytes org Database version Windows Internet Explorer mbam-log- - - - - txt Scan type Quick scan Objects scanned Time elapsed minute s second s Memory Processes Infected Memory Modules Infected Registry Keys Infected Registry Values Infected Registry Data Items Infected Folders Infected Files Infected Memory Processes Infected No malicious items detected Memory Modules Infected No malicious items detected Registry Keys Infected No malicious items detected Registry Values Infected No malicious items detected Registry Data Items Infected HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies Explorer NoActiveDesktopChanges Hijack DisplayProperties - gt Bad Good - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Folders Infected No malicious items detected Files Infected No malicious items detected i am very worried that the viruse is not gone because i still cant access that folder and am being told i dont have priveleg for something needed to acess or delete or formate this fill i downloaded microsft security essential and did a full scan and it found nothing i aksi downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and i will post the result soon

A:unknown virus blooking access to files and creating new folders which i cant access

Yes post the SAS log and Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when doneclick Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/310372/unknown-virus-blooking-access-to-files-and-creating-new-folders-which-i-cant-access/
Relevancy 41.28%

I am working for a company that has four people (four different computers) entering data into four different Excel 2010 files on a shared drive. I would like to create a master file on my own computer for the purpose of generating reports. How do I create one Access database that includes all of the information from the four different excel files? Also, can this Access file be continuously updated as the four Excel files are updated each day? Thank you!!!

Relevancy 40.85%

I have an external HD Maxtor GB that I use as my main data storage volume because I files set external stored access HD, access on with security Cannot have had multiple hd crashes on my laptop Dell Inspiron - see profile for details After the first hd crash I added access security to certain folders on the external drive limiting access to only my user for the new HD in case some else plugged into my external roommate not trusted After adding the folder access security the second hd crashed After I installed the new HD and reinstalled the OS and other software I lost access to these files I can see them but Cannot access files stored on external HD, with access security set I cannot play them or move them to a different location These are mostly video and audio files with a few other exceptions I have found many articles relative to taking ownership of the folders and files and have done so several attempts From safe mode as admin from safe mode as user from regular user non-safe mode I run xp pro and have admin rights as my standard user The error message I get from Win media plyr is C D D From quick time it s - I O erro occured From Dell PowerDVD player Error code Access is denied I am sure that Cannot access files stored on external HD, with access security set this problem is cause by a hangover from having set these security access restriction from an account on an old drive with an old different install of my OS The user account is different plus I may have inadvertantly update the xp pro OS to a level beyond where it was when I activated the access restriction One other note - the old harddrive is still Cannot access files stored on external HD, with access security set useable I have can access files and data when plugged in via usb ide sata adapter The boot sector got hosed and I got tired of trying to fix it Does anyone know of a way to regain access to these files HELP I m at wit s end been trying for months nbsp

Relevancy 40.85%

Okay so recently my dad s laptop started goofing up It is a Toshiba Satellite P I currently have a HijackThis log Any odd entries Here are some error messages I get On boot I get the following error message quot The following file or directory is corrupt Program Files Toshiba SmartFaceV Please run CHKDSK to repair quot So I ran CHKDSK It still does it so idk Trying to open that directory I get the following error quot C Program Files Toshiba SmartFaceV is not accessible The recently corrupt. files, modified? is No access. C:\Program Files\Toshiba\SmartFaceV Can't file or directory is corrupted and unreadable quot Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C C:\Program Files\Toshiba\SmartFaceV is corrupt. Can't access. No files, recently modified? Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAAnotif exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C C:\Program Files\Toshiba\SmartFaceV is corrupt. Can't access. No files, recently modified? Program Files Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba traybar exe C Program Files Toshiba Power Saver TPwrMain exe C Program Files Toshiba SmoothView SmoothView exe C Program Files Toshiba FlashCards TCrdMain exe C Program Files Toshiba ConfigFree NDSTray exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerCinema for TOSHIBA PCMAgent exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerCinema for TOSHIBA Kernel CLML CLMLSvc exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avgnt exe C Program Files Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba CEC C:\Program Files\Toshiba\SmartFaceV is corrupt. Can't access. No files, recently modified? MAIN exe C Program Files Immunet Protect iptray exe C Program Files COMODO COMODO Internet Security cfp exe C Program Files Toshiba TOSCDSPD TOSCDSPD exe C Program Files Toshiba Registration Registration exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Users rac AppData Local Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Toshiba ConfigFree CFSwMgr exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe C Users rac AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users rac AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users rac AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users rac AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe C Users rac AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www toshibadirect com dpdstart R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www toshibadirect com dpdstart R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www toshibadirect com dpdstart R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack Search Helper SEPsearchhelperie dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLog... Read more

A:C:\Program Files\Toshiba\SmartFaceV is corrupt. Can't access. No files, recently modified?

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below I will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREAndPlease download DeFogger to your desktop.Double click DeFogger to run the tool. The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OK DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OKIMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_disable which will appear on your desktop.ThenPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/359384/cprogram-filestoshibasmartfacev-is-corrupt-cant-access-no-files-recently-modified/
Relevancy 40.85%

NoVirusThanks File System Protector is a powerful utility which uses a kernel-mode driver to completely lock a file or a folder and to deny write access to files allow read-only You can write rules for any process or only for specific processes you can lock files or folders and you can also protect files from modifications write access so that processes can only read the file content but not hijack or modify it With NoVirusThanks File System Protector you can protect sensitive files and folders from unauthorized accesses or modifications a swiss army knife against nasty ransomware like CryptoLocker family or to just protect important files On the Settings tab you can specify a custom logs folder to save blocked events and on Exclusions tab you can manage trusted applications using wildcards so they are excluded from the block-rules To edit the default rules or to create your custom rules Lock Protector to Deny - System Files\Folders, Access Files File Write open the Rules File System Protector - Lock Files\Folders, Deny Write Access to Files tab and then click the button Edit Rules it may ask you Admin credentials to edit the Rules DB file The rules are updated in real-time and writing rules is very easy you can use wildcards characters and File System Protector - Lock Files\Folders, Deny Write Access to Files aliases example Code OPER DENY ALL PROC FILE C locked-file txt OPER DENY ALL PROC process exe FILE LockedFolder OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C read-only txt OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles txt OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles doc OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles pdf Key features and characteristics Prevent the modification of specific files and folders Useful to protect important folders and files Write your own rules to protect any files and folders Specify to monitor any process or only specific processes Easy-to-write rules thanks to wildcarding and aliases Deny write access to files Deny access to folders and files lock them Show useful information when an action is blocked Powerful protection thanks to the kernel-mode driver Supports all Microsoft Windows Vista OSs Very lightweight in memory and CPU usage Lock Files amp Folders Deny Write Access to Files with File System Protector NoVirusThanks ---------------------- More info by developer Recommended for experienced Windows users only Rules are easy to write thanks to wildcarding and aliases Code Deny ALL processes from modifying the quot read-only txt quot file OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE read-only txt Deny ALL processes from modifying specific files by filtering file extension OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles mp OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles txt OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles doc OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles xls OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles pdf OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles jpg OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles jpeg OPER DENY WRITE PROC FILE C ProtectedFiles png Deny cmd exe from opening quot folderX quot folder but allow all other processes access OPER DENY ALL PROC C WINDOWS System cmd exe FILE folderX Deny ALL processes from opening quot LockedFolder quot folder OPER DENY ALL PROC FILE LockedFolder Deny ALL processes from opening quot lockedfile txt quot file OPER DENY ALL PROC FILE lockedfile txt Deny ALL processes from accessing the startup folder OPER DENY ALL PROC FILE Programs Startup Can be used for example to lock the startup folder so processes can t drop files there prevent modification of specific files so cryptolocker can t hijack them lock a file so processes can t even access it etc You can exclude trusted applications by simply writing the wildcard to exclude a process example process exe would exclude process exe from any rule cruelsister can you test it vs some crypto nbsp

https://malwaretips.com/threads/file-system-protector-lock-files-folders-deny-write-access-to-files.54037/
Relevancy 39.99%

My computer has been battling with my graphics card & modem lately. So, today I reinstalled Windows with the backup feature provided with the backup (emachine). After I had updated windows completely & replaced my extensive collection of fonts I went to put all my personal files back. I get this message:
"FOLDER LOCATION" is not accessible.
Access is denied.Click to expand...

It's the "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner" folder

It has all my music, videos, photos, & work for things I do in it. I can get into my 'WINDOWS' folder and 'Program Files' but not that. Is there a way I can get into it? I've tried using Ubuntu with the hard-drive mounted and I get that the HD is read-only and I can't move/rename/delete/ect. anything on it. I've been working on it for hours with no results at all, help

A:Solved: [Access is Denied] When trying to access files

Take Ownership
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-access-is-denied-when-trying-to-access-files.632055/
Relevancy 38.27%

Hi nbsp We have few laptops windows pro for sales rep and Offline file enable to sync their documents which are on SBS server nbsp I don't know why it try to sync some other users My video My music etc files and error says quot access denied quot or ldquo The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by in with denied or access and to user sync sync failed try and already files use files Offline other folder file another process Offline file sync try to sync other user files and folder and failed with access denied or files already in use rdquo nbsp we have tried many times and confirm there's no one using those files but still same error nbsp I found this article on forumbut not sure how much this valid to SBS and if it's known issue why not there's fix patch yet from Microsoft On the server I had to ADD this reg entry and set it to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services MRXSmb Parameters OplocksDisabled REG DWORD or Default not disabled And then Changed this entry to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services LanmanServer Parameters EnableOplocks REG DWORD or Default enabled Regards ayaz

A:Offline file sync try to sync other user files and folder and failed with access denied or files already in use

Hi Scott
I found the problem and use following method to fix it
1) Check SBS group policy
2) Check permission on CSC folders (I delete all folder under this folder and check permission on this folder)
3) Reinitialize Cache database, there are different method but i use following
http://www.networknet.nl/apps/wp/archives/1093
And finally restart PC
Regards
 ayaz

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ab222cb3-4e4f-474b-b853-308a3e81112c/offline-file-sync-try-to-sync-other-user-files-and-folder-and-failed-with-access-denied-or-files?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 38.27%

System restore won't work. Everytime I try something it keeps asking "Choose the program you want to use to open this file." The highlighted curser always lands on "Window media Player" which I don't want. In a round about way I can get online, and into Word, after deleting a "machine language" page. I can't get into Excel. I've been through the suggested procedures in this forum, the most promising was Doug Knox's - Windows xp file association fixes, but nothing happened. Would someone please walk me through the procedure. I think I may have missed something, or am doing something wrong. Please explain it to me like I am a fifth grader or younger. Thank you.

A:In Windows XP, .exe files have become .lnk files, I can't access anything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/in-windows-xp-exe-files-have-become-lnk-files-i-cant-access-anything.1094564/
Relevancy 36.98%

Whats going on? Everything time I try to extract the RAR to a folder in "Program Files" it says Access Denied and fails to copy...

A:Trying to Extract files to "Program Files" says Access Denied.

As a standard user you don't have access to that folder. You must the RAR extractor as an adminstrator.

When you go to start the RAR extraction, right click on it and select "Run as administrator"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/trying-to-extract-files-to-program-files-says-access-denied-452842.html
Relevancy 35.69%

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that some of my Office 2007 files became unaccessible with the following error:
"Cannot open the file 'filename' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

This has occured on some, but not all files in both Excel and Word. The strange thing is that one day I will receive access errors on various files and a couple days later those same files will work fine without any access errors. I have ran a full anti virus scan and it came up clean. On one particular file, it was working, then not, then began working again a few days later, then not, and then as of today it is working.

Any thoughts?

This is on a WIndows XP SP3 Professional HP laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Aaron

A:Access to files one day, no access the next day

What version of office do you have installed and what is the file extension on the files you are trying to open?

To check your office version, in excel/word go into help and then About, and it should say it in the first line. Your file extension should be the letter after the dot in the filename - if there is no dot, go into My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View, and make sure that "Hide extensions for known file types" is unticked.

It seems like your file associations are incorrect, although I don't know why. You could try right-clicking the file you want to open, then click on "Open With" (or just on Open if you don't have "Open With"), and click on Choose Program. It will then show you some of your installed applications and Word/Excel is normally among them. If it opens the file this way, go through the process again but this time select "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" which is a little tick box after you went to choose program in the earlier steps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-to-files-one-day-no-access-the-next-day.903454/
Relevancy 35.69%

one of my computers died i HELP access files own cannot my !! yesterday i have weeks worth of un-backed-off data on HELP !! i cannot access my own files the HELP !! i cannot access my own files C dox i hooked up that HD C to another computer i have as a slave it boots up fine and all the data seems to be there now the problem is i cannot access my own files in that drive the quot new quot computer is runnign win xp pro i am the administrator i read that i should turn off simple file sharing - gt done i right click on the directory to change the security sharings settings when the window opens there are no quot security quot tabs or settings there is a sharing tab when i click on share the folder there is a button for quot create permissions quot but when i click on it nothing happens i've tried everything and anything i can think off but cannot open my files one thing finaly gave a partial success was to instal cygwin and use unix to try crack the problem i'd login as administrator in the cygwin window and then do a chmod and chown etc and when i tried to copy the files some DID copy and i can get to them but most didn't maybe i don't have some service running or something since i can't even display a security tab any ideas

A:HELP !! i cannot access my own files

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-i-cannot-access-my-own-files-88558.html
Relevancy 35.69%

OK I wasn't sure if this was the correct spot to put this thread but here goes A while back I had stored Access Cannot Files a bunch of files onto one of my hard drives WDC WD JB- GVA GB IDE This drive was subsequently taken out and then put back in a few months later It Cannot Access Files ran fine until I took it out again I put it back into my computer and it shows that I have the files still but I cannot move them off the drive nor open said files It gives me a message saying quot Cannot copy blahblah Access is denied Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use quot I can't figure out what my problem is or how to fix it so that I can move these files or even open them I have listed my comp specs below to try to get a clear answer as to what it may be This is my main problem I would also like to ask if anybody would know why my V power shows up as failing in my BIOS everything runs fine it just irks me Thank you gt gt gt Computer Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack Service Pack DirectX DirectX c Computer Name SHADOWBANE User Name Twinblade Tel'Morier Motherboard CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon X MHz x Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-K N Pro-SLI PCI PCI-E x PCI-E x DDR DIMM Audio Gigabit LAN IEEE- Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce SLI AMD Hammer System Memory MB PC DDR SDRAM BIOS Type Award Modular Display Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT MB D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GT Monitor Plug and Play Monitor NoDB Multimedia Audio Adapter Creative Audigy Audio Processor Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP - Audio Codec Interface Storage IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller Disk Drive WDC WD JS- MHB GB IDE Disk Drive WDC WD JB- GVA GB IDE Disk Drive ST A USB Device GB USB Disk Drive ST AS GB RPM SATA Optical Drive LITE-ON COMBO SOHC- K DVD x CD x x x DVD-ROM CD-RW Optical Drive SONY DVD RW DRU- A DVD R x DVD-R x DVD RW x x DVD-RW x x DVD-ROM x CD x x x DVD RW DVD-RW SMART Hard Disks Status FAIL Partitions C NTFS MB MB free D NTFS MB MB free G NTFS MB MB free H NTFS MB MB free Total Size GB GB free Input Keyboard Standard -Key or Microsoft Natural PS Keyboard Mouse HID-compliant mouse Network Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Peripherals USB Controller nVIDIA MCP - OHCI USB Controller USB Controller nVIDIA MCP - EHCI USB Controller USB Device USB Human Interface Device USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

A:Cannot Access Files

Try terminating Explorer.exe, press CTRL + ALT+ DELETE, click Run Task and type "Cmd", and try using the command console to copy/move your files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-access-files-191609.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello guys,

I'm having problems opening my files on my machine installed with Windows 7. It is actually my archives of pictures from previous years.

Evey time I try to open it (right click, then preview) it says this,

"Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because you don't have the correct permissions to access the file location"

When I go to properties and click on Advance, the checkbox on "Encrypt contents to secure data" is checked. Click on Details, it shows only 1 uses who can access to this file, which is me before I upgraded my OS to Windows 7 long time ago.

Trying to click on Add, and selecting Administrator, then clicking on OK, it says "to add users to this file, you must have access to the file and Write or Modify permission to it"

So what can I do to get access to my archives of pictures?

A:Can't Access Files

Try taking ownership of the folder.

Take Ownership Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/98266-cant-access-files.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I am running 64 bit version of win 7 ultimate build 7600.
I cant access some files, such as c:\documents and settings, which is actually a shortcut. When i go to"users" the files there have a small lock on them but i can still open them up so why cant i open up c:\documents and settings? I tried right clicking/properties/security and making changes there but they wont work. I get notices that i cant make any changes. Can anyone help me out with this? If i havent made it clear what i am talking about please let me know.
thank you

A:Cant access some files

Documents and setting is a junction point, it is protected and should not be tampered with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/112755-cant-access-some-files.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hey Guys,

I have been a victim of a virus attack. I was fortunate enough to not lose my files, however, I do not know how to access them.

I had an 80GB hard drive with an installation of Windows XP SP2 when the attack happended, as a result of the attack, I can no longer launch Windows.

I have since, installed another instance of Windows XP SP2 onto the same harddrive into a different folder. I can access this instance of windows fine, however when I try to browse to my other windows folder to access my files, I cannot.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to gain access to my files.

Thanks!

A:Can't Access My Files

If you can see the old folder but get an "Access denied" error, try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-my-files.610101/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello Group I see some related posts but I will ask my own particular question at the risk of being told to look it up Nothing I've seen quite fits windows growing pains category I'm sure it's my fault I access to files have a new laptop with Win Pro I am the only user obviously administrator No admin password created I networked with my XP Pro desktop and copied files onto the Win laptop Now win won't let me access or open or delete some of them I'm not sure why I get told that deleting or opening the transferred file requires quot administrative privileges quot when I am in fact the administrator I'm sure it's some sort of permissions issue Maybe the permissions didn't transfer with the files But I would like to eliminate this problem forever Is there some sort of permanent fix or must I deal with individual files and folders forever I'm comfortable editing the registry if there is any solution there Many thanks Jack

A:access to files

Where are these files? Where did you put them?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/166983-access-files.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I have a gateway system from a customer that wont start due to an obvious motherboard failure. I have taken the hard drive out to do data transfer of her files that need to be backed up. I am doing this through an external usb hdd bay. Upon trying to access the files, it reads 'I:\Documents and settings\Owner is not accessible. Access is denied.'

Now, I have run into this before and know it is due to the password put on the account. But I cannot access the password because this is as I said, being read from an external usb hard drive bay. How can I access the files?

A:Can't access files

- How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
- How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-files.119600/
Relevancy 35.69%

Recently, I changed my SID using the NewSID.
After that I can't access some old files in my Drive C:\
It asks me to write a admin password and click yes
But I there's no space for me to write the admin password and I can't click yes.
my old SID is there and I can't access it..
Please help on how can I access it..

Relevancy 35.69%

I just recently formated my files access no to amp reinstalled windows pro x and i have two accounts my account everything is fine ive installed all my files and no access to my files my no access to my files put my data back on and what not but my wifes account isnt fine seemingly everything was ok no access to my files i got her browsers and favorites up and running set up a few things for her but now im finishing up including putting her data into her folders and there appears to be some type of permissions problem i first noticed it when trying to install itunes i got an error of some sort saying i dont have permission to install it but it wasnt an error ive seen before so i logged into my account and confirmed shes admin so i put her down to child and back up to admin and went back and itunes installed now i went to access some of her data and everything is saying access is denied i work at a computer shop and have formated amp reinstalled windows 's of times but ive never run into this problem after a clean install so im coming to the experts thanks Another example so i got itunes installed and i just tried to open it and it says quot The itunes Library Extras itdb file is locked on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this file quot

A:no access to my files

Hello Carlos,

You might see if using the "Take Ownership" context menu below to take ownership and allow full access will let the current administrator have access afterwards.

Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/50784-no-access-my-files.html
Relevancy 35.69%

My old windows 7 install wouldnt boot up, so i installed windows 7 over it so all my items get saved to the windows.old folder. Now when i go to my windows.old folder i cannt find my: pictures, music, e.g.
I remember doing the same thing with xp and i had to take owner ship of the folder. I think i have took owner ship of my user folder and i still cant find my stuff. Any suggestions?

Info:
Im admin
I was admin on my last install
I know the stuff is in the folder due to how much space is took up on my drive and when i slect the folder to make it not read only it says mine craft is there.
Show hidden files and folders is on

Image of what i see:
http://tinypic.com/r/15voz9/7

Relevancy 35.69%

I dont know what is going on cannot of access many my files!!! any help is great here is my hijackthis log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE cannot access many of my files!!! Internet Explorer v SP Running processes F WINDOWS cannot access many of my files!!! System smss exe F WINDOWS system winlogon exe F WINDOWS system services exe F WINDOWS system lsass exe F WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe F WINDOWS system svchost exe F WINDOWS System svchost exe F WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe F WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe F WINDOWS Explorer EXE F WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE F Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe F Program Files D-Link AirPlus G AirGCFG exe F Program Files ANI ANIWZCS Service WZCSLDR exe F Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe F Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe F WINDOWS system spoolsv exe F Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe F Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe F Program Files IVT Corporation BlueSoleil BTNtService exe F Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe F WINDOWS System CTSvcCDA EXE F Program Files ewido anti-spyware guard exe F Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe F Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe F Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe F Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe F WINDOWS System svchost exe F Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe F WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exe F Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C unzipped hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http webster com O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - F Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - F Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - F Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - F Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - F Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - F WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck F WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot F Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run SSC UserPrompt F Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center UsrPrmpt exe O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor F PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe Consumer O - HKLM Run D-Link AirPlus G F Program Files D-Link AirPlus G AirGCFG exe O - HKLM Run ANIWZCS Service F Program Files ANI ANIWZCS Service WZCSLDR exe O - HKLM Run WinampAgent F Program Files Winamp winampa exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched F Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client quot F Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe quot O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot F Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - HKCU Run Steam F Program Files Valve Steam Steam exe -silent O - HKCU Run MoneyAgent quot F Program Files Microsoft Money System mnyexpr exe quot O - Global Startup BlueSoleil lnk O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk F Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Global Startup WinZip Quick Pick lnk F Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - F Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - F Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Plugin for spop F Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dll O - DPF EB E A- A - AB -A FB- BD C F F CKAVWebScan Object - http www kaspersky com kos eng par an unicode cab O - DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C WUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com windowsu O - DPF E A- D- EE - C-DC FA D FC MUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com microsof O - DPF A A - DA - DAF-B - F E ... Read more

A:cannot access many of my files!!!

I apologize for the delay. If you still need assitance can you pleas provide more information about the problem? What happens when you try to access your files?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/cannot-access-many-of-my-files-108620.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I have a problem accessing my files after recovery.
My computer wouldn't start up so I ran the recovery programme as a result all my original settings were lost. At some point it asked me to create user accounts which I did assuming that it will automatically include my old files. Now when I try accessing my own files it tells be that access is denied although I have admin rights and can log in as owner as well. It's really distressing as I have a lot of files there, how can I access them?
Thanks

A:Don't have access to my files

Try Unlocker, or Taking Ownership of the Files.

To view the Security tab in XP Pro, read THIS.

For XP Home, restart in Safe Mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dont-have-access-to-my-files.945629/
Relevancy 35.69%

Ok so i m screwing around with my boot screens trying to make the first boot screen a matrix boot screen i got from themexp com And i get HELP, Oh access NEED files... my man...I Cant all the programs to doit bootuilogin or some crap set the screens reboot and ERRORS Cant get into windows AT ALL Safe mode no debugging no last known configuration no command prompt no ALL Oh man...I NEED HELP, Cant access my files... ERRORS So i try to REPAIR windows no So i INSTALL WINDOWS AGAIN Oh man...I NEED HELP, Cant access my files... finally im back in my computer my old desktops are there with all my files and i NEED THEM cause i figure as long as im in this deep installations of windows i might as well do a reformat reinstall or if i can get to my files i may not even have to cause my weekly registry backup is in there BUT I CANT ACCES IT When i try to get to my old desktops i get an access denied error i dont remember putting any security on these folders and i d think that reinstalling windows would take it off anyway So is there ANY way to get into these folders and get access them So i can put them on my temp computer while im reformating Thanks for reading and please reply nbsp

A:Oh man...I NEED HELP, Cant access my files...

If you right click on one of those files, select properties and the security tab. Check out the permissions for everyone and see if "deny" is checked anywhere. If so change it to "allow". Also, you can check your user account is set for "Administrator" under Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management go to Local users and Groups click on users and see what your rights are on the PC.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/oh-man-i-need-help-cant-access-my-files.130422/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi, After running fine for 5 months, I suddenly cannot open my files. The file will appear in the small window when I hover the mouse cursor over it in the taskbar, but insted of opening, the small window disappears. This is true for the files I've tried to open---flash drive, My Documents, Window Explorer.........Any suggestions? thanks, Mike
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1035T Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 6
RAM: 7935 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series , 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 381545 MB, Free - 333091 MB; D: Total - 557796 MB, Free - 557690 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., CG1330, Rev X.0x, MT3212131444444444444
Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

A:Cannot access files

Did you try a System Restore?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-files.988108/
Relevancy 35.69%

I've got a new PC running Windows 7 Home 64-bit. It works well and I'm very pleased.

I've just tried importing my Outlook.pst file from my old computer (ran Win XP Pro) which died (partition got partially deleted). I've managed to access it using "Find and Mount" which will display the partition as a drive in My Computer and I can access all files bar those in "Documents & Settings" which it comes up saying I don't have permisson to access.

I've tried to take ownership of these files, however I get an error saying "The media is write protected". Is there anything I can do to recover the files?

A:Help! Can't access files

Sounds like you still have the option to 'copy' the .pst file out of the mounted drive and paste it to your local C:\ or Data drives. can you try that?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/159540-help-cant-access-files.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Should I have access to all files in my account? I am an Administrator and when I show hidden and protected files, if I look at my username\AppData\Local\Application Data there is a little arrow on the folder and I am denied access to it. Also the History and the Temp Internet Files, as well.

In exploring, I'm finding, with all files shown there are many files that I can't open.

Why is this?

Thanks in advance!

A:Access to certain files??

Welcome

Claim owernship of the files
Take Ownership Shortcut

Then try using the secret administrator

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable[2]=User Accounts

If you use both methods, the you should be able to use the files.

As a last resort try in safe mode, using the above methods.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/68437-access-certain-files.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I have seven folders on a CD. 6 will open and read. One, the largest, 2 sub folders, 107 files, keeps returning a "Not responding" message.

A:Cannot access CD files

Is this a CD that you burned with the drive you are trying to read from? If so then its possible that the data is corrupt or the disc damaged.

Is this a CD that was burned by a friend? If so then you may need a firmware update to read the data, especially if your friend's burner is significantly newer than yours.

You may be better served by posting in the "Removable Media Drives" forum, in the Hardware Support section.

Best of luck mate.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-access-cd-files-518696.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Recently, I had to reinstall my windows operating system because of a logon error. Once I got my computer working again, the vast majority of my old files stopped being accessible. They're still there, they haven't been deleted but whenever I go to try and access them, it says

"...file is not accessible. Access is denied."

How do I get to these files?

How did you reinstall Windows? Do you mean a repair install of Windows?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-access-files-357984.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Finally got my vista laptop to show my XP desktop to show in the network folder and vice versa. I can access my the files on the vista laptop from my XP PC, but when i go to access my files on my XP from my Vista laptop, it just says "<name> is not accessible" please can someone help. THanks.

A:Cant access files.

Can you ping the XP system by name? This is probably a firewall configuration issue.
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-files.723608/
Relevancy 35.69%

i was forced to reinstall my OS (windows xp home) and now i can't get access to a large section of my old files (particularly the ones in my documents and the one's i had on my desktop)

A:can't access files

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-access-files-327123.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi,

Hope someone can help me with this. I had the worm that shuts down your computer after 60 seconds. I managed to get rid of this. However since I deleted it I am unable to open any files. I can use my internet but if I am wanting to use MSN Messenger, or run my anti-virus program or any application at all the following pop-up appears:

Windows cannot find 'C\Program files\.....(whichever file I am trying to run\whichever file I am trying to run.exe).' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search.

I think my computer is pretty screwed, any suggestions please before I go get it cleaned right out (this will probably mean me losing most of the stuff I have saved on my computer.)

Thankyou in advance for any support you can offer me.

A:No access to files

I would drag out your OS CD, boot from that and attempt a repair.

My guess is, when you removed the worm, a needed file went with it.

Let us know how you're doing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-access-to-files-7993.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I am using bulletproof and turned off firewall and opened router ports also tried with no router connected. I am getting this error from any computers when trying to connect.
About to connect() to 68.3.126.228 port 21
* Trying 68.3.126.228... connected
* Connected to 68.3.126.228 (68.3.126.228) port 21
* FTP response reading failed
* Closing connection #0
This happened after I reformatted and can not figure out why.
thanks phaz

I tried it without the router connected and it say's the same thing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-files-with-ftp.446794/
Relevancy 35.69%

I am the only user and administrator on my Windows 8.1 PC. The OS is on a 12Gb SSD and everything else is on a 1Tb HD. I can access some files but not others. The latest thing I cant place a new folder of photographs in my pictures fold on my E drive. I have used a program called Take Ownership to get access so far but even this doesn't work for this one.

Surely there's a way of just having total access to the HD - drive E that is mine?

A:Can't access my own files

Originally Posted by Trevor Appleton

I am the only user and administrator on my Windows 8.1 PC. The OS is on a 12Gb SSD and everything else is on a 1Tb HD. I can access some files but not others. The latest thing I cant place a new folder of photographs in my pictures fold on my E drive. I have used a program called Take Ownership to get access so far but even this doesn't work for this one.

Surely there's a way of just having total access to the HD - drive E that is mine?

I think your SSD is too small, Windows 8.1 runs full at about 30 - 40GB with no programs installed.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/37338-cant-access-my-own-files.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I need to get some files off of another computer on a domain. I know there is a way you can type in the name of the PC along with a switch or command(I know it has a dollar sign in it) in explorer to access all folders on the PC. My account has the right permissions set and I've done this before I just can't remember how.

any help would be appreciated.

I am using Windows 2000 Pro

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-files-on-another-pc.99828/
Relevancy 35.69%

Well i just registered here a few minutes ago. My problem is that i couldnt start up my comp yesterday due to some invalid boot thing. After reinstalling WinXP, I now cannot acces my old files located in My Documents. I had them mad private under properties long time ago. I could only acces them of course if logged in under my account. I KNOW the password still. It's just how can I open that folder so i can get to my old files. I REALLY need to get into these files (there very important for me)

A:Help! I can't access my old files

Well- Did you re-install or do a system restore. If you truely did do a re-install with the XP disc and reformating and all- I am afraid you erased your my documents files. If they are terribly important files- stop now and turn off your computer. Go to another computer and research a good file recovery program for deleted/formated files. The more you use your computer the less likely you will be able to retrieve those files.

Andy

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-i-cant-access-my-old-files-56560.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I am new to this forum so hopefully i posted in the right thread i am also not totally familiar with computer terms so please try to keep things simple i have a long story so i cannot please! access files! HELP! would extremly appreiciate it if ANYONE can help out because windows XP is giving me the hardest time ever I built my own computer during the summer Asus a n sli deluxe WD raptor gb k RPM hardrive gb pc crucial ballistix ram true psu new castle this computer has been working like a dream ever since recently I believe i got a virus but i am not sure if i did what happens is HELP! cannot access files! please! whenever i totally turn my computer off and i goto try to turn it back on it will not boot HELP! cannot access files! please! up everything will run fine the fans are all going i hear the hardrive spinning but the moniter is black and no show also that one beep you hear after turning on the computer is not there either its just total silence with the fans going this has been a problem for about a month but i would simply just turn off my computer and back on and keep doing that until it booted up and worked fine today i tried doing that for more than hours and nothign was happeneing so then i borrowed my friends gb hardrive that had just windows installed on it and loaded the k rpm hardrive under slave i was planning on just copying moving files onto the borrowed hardrive and just formatting and reinstalling windows unfortunately im a guy who saves everything on the desktop with many subfolders i was trying to access the documents and settings my user name but it says access is denied all of my college papers and research work was on that and i NEED it for a paper i have been working on for over a month my friend suggested running windows repair installation which basically HELP! cannot access files! please! uninstalls the windows folder and creates new one i did that but same problem occured i could not access the folder with my user name on it i then did windows repair in DOS mode my friend was showing a way on how u can copy files from one hardrive to another using several commands I have several hundreds of files so this way would take a lifetime to copy each file over he told me i can set the wildcards to true but that method was denied on top of all this i also have hardware problems My crucial ballistix ram does not allow my computer to boot up problem stated above i had to borrow my friends stick in order for it to work i foudn this very strange my stick of ram all of a sudden stopped working and did not allow my comptuer to boot up If anybody knows any way i can copy or access the files through windows in a faster manner PLEASE help also if anyone knows how i can resolve the problem of my stick of ram that would be extremly appreciated too thanks for all the help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-cannot-access-files-please.420465/
Relevancy 35.69%

Recently I had a technician build me a new computer He also at my request incorporated my two old drives into the machine because I wanted the extra storage space My new C drive has windows installed My D drive was my old main drive I am unable to extract my old pst files from this drive now I have gotten advice from a couple of other people and it has turned to nothing Can't access my pst old files The way I see it I need to do the following Locate and make the Outlook folder on my Can't access my old pst files D drive visible and accessable Find out where within this folder my pst files are located Be able to copy those files and paste them into my Outlook folder on my current C drive Most of the pst files on my D drive are archived and I would like to preserve them in the same way I have already tried things like pst on my searches and it did not find these files My money hungry tech who charges like a wounded bull wants me to pay him a big fee before he ll extract those files I ve told him to go and jump into the lake So there you have it Is Can't access my old pst files there someone out there who can please tell me how to get those files Thank you for your time nbsp

Relevancy 35.69%

Hi I am new to this forum so please excuse any gross errors I have recently formatted my computer and reinstalled Windows I had over Gbs worth of video files I needed to keep but since I only had about Gbs of free HD space I created a new partition in the free space put in as many files as would fit in it expand the partition and repeated the procedure until all of the files were safely in the new partition I then formatted the primary files Cannot access partition installed Windows XP SP and then updated it fully so now I have XP Home SP with the latest updates Then I defragmented the C drive merged the partitions and defragmented again Now I cannot access or actually use since I can see them but I cannot open Cannot access files move or delete the files Whenever I try to open the video files I get a error whichever media player I use Windows Media Player Winamp VLC and if I try to move or delete any of those files I get an error from Windows telling me to check whether the file is in use write protected or Cannot access files if the disk is full or that I do not have enough permissions to perform that action The only way I am able to move or delete those files is using a freeware app called quot Unlocker quot which reports that there are no programs currently using locking those files not even Explorer but it does allow me to move or delete them obviously I want to be able to open the files not get rid of them One other thing there were other files and folders in the partition that I merged into C using Partition Magic but only the files in the folder that had the movies as well as some srt sub and idx subtitle files are affected by this issue All others are fine and I am able to access them properly whether they are Word documents video files or exes Any help would be greatly appreciated I really don t want to lose all my movies

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-access-files-212561.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I have 4 computers on my home network. 2 are running Vista home premium, one running XP home and one running XP Pro. All the machines can share files except the Xp pro machine can see the Vista machines but will not let me access them.I get a message about not being authorized to access files. The computer running XP Home lets me access the files on the Vista machines. The workgroup on all is MSHOME I am the only admin. on all machines. I am able to use my wireless printer on all machines but the printer and wireless router no longer show up on the XP machines as a network place as they once did. One of the Vista is wireless as is the XP home.

Configure simple sharing on the XP-Pro machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-files.855655/
Relevancy 35.69%

I have always been able to ftp access 2000 mdb files using ftp through ie or through a third party programme. That was until now. For an as yet unknown reason I can no longer ftp mdb files. I constantly receive the message 'A system call that should never fail has failed'. I have tried a system restore to point I know I could ftp mdb files, I've tried reinstalling ftp programmes, I've tried reinstalling Access, but still no joy. I can upload and download any other file type just not access 2000 mdb files. Can anyone suggest a solution??

A:ftp access mdb files

I've managed to fix the problem by repairing Winstock. For anyone with a similar problem:

If using WinXPSP2.
Start|Run
Type NETSH WINSOCK RESET
click OK
Reboot

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ftp-access-mdb-files.383950/
Relevancy 35.69%

i am currently running windows xp and my logon profile is the administrator account but out of a sudden i tried to open or have access to files from my C:// hardrive and this window pops out with the following message.:"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."how can i fix this problem and be able to have access to the files.

A:Cant Access Files Help!

That is a hacked version of PhotoShop that was downloaded using warez. The way to fix your problem is by getting a legit version of PhotoShop and actually buying it! This is ILLEGAL and we will not help you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/157385/cant-access-files-help/
Relevancy 35.69%

Could someone explain cuz yesterday I was able to access a particular file file and save my work but when I arrived today for work the said file is unaccessible anymore while my other files are ok.

Thanks in advance

A:Can't seem to access my files

When this happens to me I have learned to look in the Recycle bin.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-seem-to-access-my-files.220874/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi I recently reformatted my computer and decided to set up my File sharing with my other computer I had this working before I reformatted so I followed the same steps but when I try to access the folders on one of my computers it says I am not able to access these files I can access and copy the files folders that are on my wireless computer through my wired computer but I am not able to do the same while I am using the wireless computer I can see it but I am not allowed to open access being Not to able files the folders I checked the firewall settings and they seemed to be right so I am kind of lost here I even turned off the windows firewall on both computers but still no luck Anyone have any suggestions or advice for me Any help is appreciated thanks EDIT Would removing File and Printer Services in the Add Remove Windows Components under Add Remove Programs have to do anything with it I enabled it again and I will see if it works tomorrow nbsp

Relevancy 35.69%

Hello, I have a Hp desktop with a external hardrive i am trying to play files off of. I re-installed windows on the computer and lost my security settings so i do not have access to the files. i have tried 'taking ownership' several times but seem to have no luck. I lost a lot of important files now due to this.

Can somebody help please?

Thanks,
John

A:Can't Access my files?

Could you be more specific? "Lost security settings" and "no access to files" is vague. As is "taking ownership." Your external drives are USB? OR something else? YOu should see all drvies that are USB show up in My Computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-access-my-files-270834.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I am trying Can't Access VRO Files to download VRO files off of a Canon Digital Camera I have Can't Access VRO Files installed the software that comes w the camera but the programs do not recognize the camera being Can't Access VRO Files connected The camera does show up under My Computer but the files will not open I am running it on Windows XP and receive a message that says quot windows cannot open this file To open this file Windows needs to know what program created it Windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer quot from here it says to chose from a program on the computer or go online to find the appropriate program I have gone online and without finding a matching program I was directed to VRO file association extentsion scanning software I installed registrybooster from bluline and it came up with some errors which I removed But even after going through this process nothing has changed in attempting to open the files I am able to play the video on Windows Media player but am trying to edit the video on the Canon digital video software Help nbsp

A:Can't Access VRO Files

canoncontempt said:

I am trying to download VRO files off of a Canon Digital Camera. I have installed the software that comes w/ the camera but the programs do not recognize the camera being connected. The camera does show up under My Computer but the files will not open. I am running it on Windows XP and receive a message that says
" windows cannot open this file
To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer"

from here it says to chose from a program on the computer or go online to find the appropriate program. I have gone online and without finding a matching program, I was directed to VRO file association/ extentsion scanning software. I installed registrybooster from bluline and it came up with some errors which I removed. But even after going through this process nothing has changed in attempting to open the files.

I am able to play the video on Windows Media player but am trying to edit the video on the Canon digital video software. Help!Click to expand...

Join the club! I've been using a Canon DC50 for about eight months. Inever could open the vro files. At first I renamed (!) them to .mpg and this allowed me to edit them and burn to DVD using Nero (cracked) OFFLINE. Last month I decided to format the hard disk, installed everything again but bugs me to go offline everytime. Ihaven't been able to work with any other program. What's new is I tried to copy three DVD-RW from the camera to the pc (recorded in VR mode) and the stupid computer can "see" the contents of one of them but not the other two!!! All of which recorded in the same way! So if you come up with anything please let me know

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-vro-files.835224/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi

I had a hard drive crash recently and fortunately had a full backup in True Image.

However, as Vista was getting clunky I thought I would just reinstall and copy across the user files (Word docs etc) by using a mounted image of the TI backup.

When I try and do so, I cannot access the old User Files as they are UAC protected. Nothing I seem to do grants me access, or even the opportunity to enter the username and password (which I obviously know). I am logged in as an administrator in the new Vista build.

Please, please can someone help me here, or will I need to back the whole thing up again?

Any assistance most gratefully received.

JB

Relevancy 35.69%

My laptop got hit with hijack last week which I had thought Spybot took care of A few days later I got a false desktop Cannot access files! and realized I had bigger problems Could not connect to Cannot access files! the internet could not run any programs Cannot access files! As a mater of fact any EXE seemed to get instantly hijacked In attempt to Cannot access files! restart in safe mofe the computer kept restarting before it could load Disabled auto restart and got a blue screen sugesting there is a virus I ran the HD on onother computer to do a virus scan Avast which could not do anything with the problems found Reinstalled the HD and ran Windows non destructive recovery and got it running Norton would not run bundled Internet security but was able to update Will not function Installed Avast and was able to fix some problems however many got an error of quot file not found quot Seems the one it cannot fix is mostly Win Unruy-E where as Win Vitro seemed to be fixed At this point I wish to access quot My Documents quot which has non replaceable pics and such I cannot access them as it states I do not have permission I have tried with cmd prompt to access with no luck HD in another computer no luck I know the files are there as they are seen durring a scan Being that windows war repaired it created a new documents folder Cannot restore either as it shows no restore points prior to repair Alot of the restore files were infected Thanks for any and all help Sorry for being long winded but figured lay out what was done already

A:Cannot access files!

This will do the job.http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/After it is backed up, you are really going to have to do a bare walls reload. I have seen the rootkit that changes your permissions on every EXE you try to use and there is no fixing it. There are tools that will kill it but the process usually leaves so many damaged core win files you have to reload to get anything to work right. Check your back up from the clean install with AVG9, malwarebytes and superantispyware before you copy any of it back. AVG has an optional setting to scan all removable media on access. (ext hard drive, flash drive, cd etc...)What laptop brand and model do you have? The bare walls/ "Out of box" reinstall is a little different for each OEM. I have done lots of them.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/293989/cannot-access-files/
Relevancy 35.69%

After running JRT, every line shows clear, except the last line. Before I can catch what is in the line in entirety, it disappears. Some of the things I see says "can't open"  "local"  "temp"  Then the line is gone and is replaced by the following line.  C:\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles then it is followed by a default\minidumps [5 files] Is that normal? There is a BoxRock zip file that I can't delete. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by ThisisuVersion: 6.4.3 (03.01.2015:1)OS: Windows Vista ™ Home Premium x86Ran by Peddler's Post on Mon 03/09/2015 at  9:26:26.13~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    ~~~ Services   ~~~ Registry Values   ~~~ Registry Keys   ~~~ Files   ~~~ Folders   ~~~ FireFox Emptied folder: C:\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\ldapnymw.default\minidumps [5 files]   ~~~ Event Viewer Logs were cleared     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Scan was completed on Mon 03/09/2015 at  9:51:16.59End of JRT log~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569544/five-files-cant-access/
Relevancy 35.69%

Last week I stupidly decided help cry! - please or my may I Can't access files it would be a good idea to change my password my partner and I are the only people who use our laptop About an hour later I decided that I had better change it back incase i totally forgot it - god forbid When I went to change it back it refused to accept my new password so I could change it back to my old one After trying for about minutes I was so frustrated as I knew as soon as I shut down Can't access my files - please help or I may cry! my computer it would ask me for the new password which it wouldn t accept Have i lost you or do you get what i mean I then realised that although i wasn t able to change my password i could set up a new administrators account which i would be able to access For the past week i have been using this new account At first it seemed fine but i have since experienced a multitude of problems including Avast antivirus not working properly despite never having previously experienced any problems with it and also my laptop seems really slow and turns itself off a lot What I am REALLY asking however is this How the hell can i acess all my files such as photos documents and videos which are presumeably still on my computer but which i cant access as they are under my other administators account which i locked myself out of I just want to save this vital information memories stored on here and after that i will be glad to wipe the slate clean and re-format if thats what needs to happen If you can help me with this i may possibly love you forever nbsp

A:Can't access my files - please help or I may cry!

Try taking ownership of them with the new account. Hopefully you didn't encrypt them.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-take-ownership-and-grant-permissions-in-windows-vista/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-my-files-please-help-or-i-may-cry.1003626/
Relevancy 35.69%

I have Win Xp Pro and recently installed the SP2. Since thenI have been unable to undefinedopen .pss files and my pc will not accept my creating a file
association with powerpoint viewer 2003. Has anyone else experienced
this problem and if so how did you resolve it. I did download "Open
Office" and can get to my pps files from there but it is a roundabout
circuit and the open office file is huge.

Thanks,
Katie

A:Cannot access .pps files

Hi,

I found saving the file to desktop enabled me to open it fine.

Hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-pps-files.289730/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi,
Everytime i try to access my malebytes antimaleware or spybot to run a scan i get the message that "windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"... I have looked for answers to fix this problem but nothing i have tried has been successful. I am the administrator so i dont know what could be causing this problem. It just happen out of nowhere so if anyone can please help me fix this it would be great. thanks

A:cannot access certain files

I had the same problem earlier, you probably had the same problem i had before, which was an VERY bad rootkit, hopefully you don't, just uninstall the program, then reinstall it into another folder/file and/or change the name of mbam, then perform a full scan/quick scan, if mbam closes after a little while by itself, you have the same rootkit i had.

My advice, reform and erase everything in your pc, OR go to the infected section and ask for help, this rootkit blocked me from opening my destop(explorer.exe) aswell, so try to use another pc and ask for help instead or don't use your internet connection for the time being

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/254551/cannot-access-certain-files/
Relevancy 35.69%

(Apologies if this question has already been posted and answered. I looked but didn't find it...)

I used to have a home network of two XP machines, but I recently replaced one of them with a Win/7 machine. Since then I have had permissions problems whenever I try to read data from one machine to the other. I have followed all the steps I could find: I made all the files on the Win/7 shareable ("Everyone"), I created a working group with a common name, I renamed the accounts and passwords so they would be the same on both computers, I even enabled NetBios over TCP/IP on the XP. But the problem remains: each computer can see the other, but when I try to open the high-level folders I get a "permission denied" response.

Any suggestions about what else I need to do to get it working properly?

Thanks!

A:Cannot access Win/7 files from XP

Network and Sharing Center - is your network designated "Home"? If so, click on Change advanced sharing settings - Home or Work - please tell us your selections for the various (I think 7) choices.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-win-7-files-from-xp.971460/
Relevancy 35.69%

I have run my virus scan. ok
I have no system restore point.
When I click on a destop icon it acts as if it will open but then the screen goes to blue and then quickly back to the desktop.
I'm able to get onto the internet only.
Even when I click on start it will not enable me to access any program or file. Please help. I don't know where to start. THanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/cant-access-any-files-16719.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello, I am not sure whats going on but there are some files I cant access. It is only a few files (so far). I dont want it to go any further. Im running XP professional. This just happened recently. The files are there but when I try to open them, it says access denied. It also shows that the files are empty, but I know they have stuff in them. Thank you in advance.

A:Cant access a few files

step 01: turn off PC

step 02: turn on PC, and be sure to go into safe mode with networking

step 03: get a cup of coffee ( or a drink you enjoy ) while safe mode starts up

step 04: sigh and get impatient because safe mode can take a while to start up, tap fingers on desk

step 05: once safe mode has started access the internet and go to malwarebytes.org, download mbam, install and update.

step 06: after mbam updates and restarts, start a full scan on PC ( this will take a long time since it will look at EVERY file on the PC )

step 07: go get some lunch, watch a movie, practice that one bass riff that you haven't practiced in awhile, you know the one.

step 08: check to see if the scan has completed, if yes, follow the on screen prompts and remove what infected files ( if any ) are there.

step 09: go to step 06 and repeat, if this is the second attempt at step 09, and infections are still appearing, keep repeating till infections show 0

step 10: report back here with news of what has progressed. Also list the programs used to open said files, are they word or excel files? pdf's? avi's?

this also could be a User Account issue where somehow your log in has been bumped down to basic user, with no access to anything...

but here's hoping the steps will help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/298662/cant-access-a-few-files/
Relevancy 35.69%

My dell inspiron recently went on the blink and I was advised by dell to reload windows but before I did i attempted to salvage "my documents" folder. In doing this I purchased a hard drive enclosore and removed my harddrive from my laptop which was running xp and connected it to a laptop running vista (not sure it makes a difference) it showed all my files but i cannot access them, as soon as I try it displays the attached picyure! any ideas on how I can access and save them would be greatly appreciated!

Relevancy 35.69%

I recently had a major XP crash and when I rebooted my keyboard amp mouse weren't working I tried safe mode and command prompt with nothing So like anyone who's worked with XP for any amount of time I reinstalled Before doing so I booted into Mandriva moved the contents of My Documents to a safe location then reinstalled XP When all was said and done I couldn't access my files that I had moved I went about the excruciating process of setting permissions in XP Home and as admin I figured that I'd have no problem accessing the files I see them fine in Mandriva and can open 'em all I'm not a noob by any means but this one has me baffled It doesn't seem to even recognize any of the file extensions If I put something new in there it runs no problem It just seems to be with the files that I had moved and then moved back It can't be a user name issue since I'm using the same Any suggestions

A:XP at it again. Can't access my files.

I had a problem accessing files after I sent a bunch to the recyle bin in an effort to have just one location for all docs. The folders were there and Properties showed that the files were there too but they didn't show up in the right hand pane. I went into Tools, Folder Options and clicked the box that said 'Show Hidden Files'. This brought the list back.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-at-it-again-cant-access-my-files-391081.html
Relevancy 35.69%

How Do I Access Files? I'm not that smart with computer's. Thank You.

A:How Do I Access Files?

Which files are you trying to access?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-do-i-access-files-279714.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Dear All I have enabled EFS on EFS Access Files one of the important folders in Drive D I was not Access EFS Files very Access EFS Files aware that time of the impact of such action due to my ignorance I have formatted my PC years after and I found that I could not access my folder in drive D I tried to use from EFS recovery tools which they scanned my drive C Access EFS Files by sector and they were able to generate files from my old windows privateKey and masterKey in addition to a third text files which has the below data my question is there anyway to access my folder again thanks in advance ------------------- Chain ------------------- Master Guid F - E - B -BE A- E C Container Guid A B B F -C E - B C- F- CF F B KeySpec Provider Name Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider v Master key data MasterGuid F - E - B -BE A- E C HashAlgCalg Salt BE A C AE D F D B F F IterationCount CryptAlgID HashAlgID nbsp E Credhist D B DB MysteryKey BDC A D A A B F B EED E F CF BEF C E B D DFBE B BF B FC ED E F C DBB DA BB E C A E FE A CBEA F B BF EAEEA F D AAFA BE C EAE EEA B F D D D D A A F E F BAEE FAC B D E D A B E SimplyAlg False MasterKey path - Partition Unknown files Folder f - e - b -be a- e c Private Key Data PrivateKey path - Partition Unknown files Folder C F CB C E CC A D EB A DF C C DF F BFB CEDC

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b550866b-737f-43b2-ba8e-352a4c4203dc/access-efs-files?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 35.69%

All,

I have updated my PC from WIN XP to WIN 7. I installed WIN 7 on a new SSD and want now to access my files (on the still WIN XP hdd) my files. I do see all the files, but when I want to open or copy them access is denied because of missing permission. I already have "full control" over these files when I check the properties in the security tab.

Does anyone have an idea how I can copy my files over?

Thanks.

A:Cannot access old files from WIN XP on WIN 7 32 bit

Try to take ownership.

Take Ownership Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/314382-cannot-access-old-files-win-xp-win-7-32-bit.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I recently made a backup copy of my music and pictures however i am unable to access these files for example play my music or view the photos after restoring them back to the harddrive. I used NTI to back my music files up however i've went through all the permissions such as the allowing access to the files/folders/sharing through safe mode etc ticked all the boxes but still the same message occurs. It seems to restore the files fine but after i go to access them for example click on the music file it says 'windows Media player cannot access the file'...im begginning to think there is problem with the back up ?

Any ideas would be much appreciated !

Speed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-files.777480/
Relevancy 35.69%

hi..i have a question..i have a fresh and newly installed windows xp ultimate edition service pack 3, the problem is when i go to my d drive and open my folder for my mp4 file and highlight it or even just one click , it hangs.. because i'll just rearrange my files but i can't. nd also i have itunes & quicktime player.. can anyone help me??? coz i can't access my files..

Relevancy 35.69%

I had a major hd crash. I couldn't recover, so I got a new hard drive. After starting all over, I could recover non-admins files (wife, kids), but couldn't get my own. I did make my files private.

When I navigate to my folders, under Documents and Settings, I get the following:
"<path-to-folder\username> is not accessible"
"Access is denied"

I couldn't get to the folders through the recovery console either.

Can somebody provide any suggestions as to how to recover the files? They are obviously there, but can't get to them.

Thank you!

A:Can't access own files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-access-own-files-401986.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi I am new to this forum so please excuse any gross errors I have recently formatted my computer and reinstalled Windows I had over Gbs worth of video files I needed to keep but since Cannot access files I only had about Gbs of free HD space I created a new partition in the free space put in Cannot access files as many files as would fit in it expand the partition and repeated the procedure until all of the files were safely in the new partition I then formatted the primary partition installed Windows XP SP and then updated it fully so now I have XP Home SP with the latest updates Then I defragmented the C drive merged the partitions and defragmented again Now I cannot access or actually use Cannot access files since I can see them but I cannot open move or delete the files Whenever I try to open the video files I get a error whichever media player I use Windows Media Player Winamp VLC and if I try to move or delete any of those files I get an error from Windows telling me to check whether the file is in use Cannot access files write protected or if the disk is full or that I do not have enough permissions to perform that action The only way I am able to move or delete those files is using a freeware app called quot Unlocker quot which reports that there are no programs currently using locking those files not even Explorer but it does allow me to move or delete them obviously I want to be able to open the files not get rid of them One other thing there were other files and folders in the partition that I merged into C using Partition Magic but only the files in the folder that had the movies as well as some srt sub and idx subtitle files are affected by this issue All others are fine and I am able to access them properly whether they are Word documents video files or exes Any help would be greatly appreciated I really don t want to lose all my movies nbsp

A:Cannot access files

This may help with the files that were moved: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-files.672775/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello friends I have computers attracted Win Win from Cannot 7 files XP access to my network through a switch three having Win XP Pro SP and one having Win Ultimate None of my computers have any password and there s only one user in each computer Cannot access Win 7 files from Win XP that has administrator rights without password Although I am able to access files of all XP machines from my Win machine none of the XP systems are able to access any files of Win system Every time I try to access files of Win system through Win XP system it asks for a user name and Cannot access Win 7 files from Win XP password but because I dont have any password assigned to that machine I am not able to access it For trial purpose I gave a password to my Win machine and every thing started working fine but again as soon as I remove the password the same problem starts As I dont want to keep any password is there a way to access my files in Win system via Win XP system Please help Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 35.69%

i noticed something very strange when installing programs / games on my computer, after the installation i cant access the files on the folder!! for example apply a patch or delete them. the message i get is they being used by another program even if they are not according to task manager.. any ideas ?
computer has no virus.

A:can't access files

Quote: Originally Posted by ghk84

i noticed something very strange when installing programs / games on my computer, after the installation i cant access the files on the folder!! for example apply a patch or delete them. the message i get is they being used by another program even if they are not according to task manager.. any ideas ?
computer has no virus.

one more thing !! when this happens i cant perform reboot because the computer stays black screen on reboot.. but if i choose shutdown then it opens normally !!!!!!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/323804-cant-access-files.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I have just installed windows ulimate on my computer..previously it was running on vista,for some reason i cant see all my files from my back up meaning pictures videos texts etc(fiy i just had em in a diffent particion i didnt add em after via usb stick or an external drive) i can see some of em but not all..i know that they are there i can see em browse em from command prom i even tried to copy em via command prom that dint work. i googled a bit i have my hidden files visable from win 7 folder interface ,i searched for virus mailware that might gone though but nothing..So i would apriciate for any ideas that you can throw my way.Tyr for taking time to read this

A:Cant access my files...

Hi and welcome,
Could you provide a bit more info please?
Make/model of your computer?
System specs?
Where did you obtain Windows Ultimate?
What method did you use to install Ultimate?

Thanks.
Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-my-files.1098728/
Relevancy 35.69%

I have just begun to have issues accessing any files. When I left click on the start button and select any of the commands to the right, ie Doc, music, pictures, computer, control panel etc., I get the error message: Explorer.EXE "Windows cannot access the specified, device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them." I cannot access anything in the computer. I did recently remove the password requirement for start up. I went into Setup(F2) and re-established a supervisor and user password, but that has done nothing for the issue I'm experiencing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

A:I can't access my files

I'm guessing that the Setup(F2) reference is to the BIOS setup - if so, then you're right, that shouldn't affect permissions in Windows.

If you can't access anything on the computer, I'm not sure anything I suggest will help other than a re-install.
There are a few tutorials that will help make this easy and successful.
Since you have a Dell machine, I'd use the first one bellow, it has specific instructions for different vendors. The second tutorial is more generic. Both work well though.

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/355107-i-cant-access-my-files.html
Relevancy 35.26%

Hi all I old files access WDB - Files to Need used Microsoft Works to make an address database I have the files on Floppy WDB Files - Need to access old files and on hard drive Also have the old hard drive from the original PC with the works program on it Comes up as E via a harddrive to USB converter on my old laptop The original Program Disks for Works won't load onto my old laptop Win XP SP WDB Files - Need to access old files I haven't tried with my newer laptop Win I've looked online for conversion programs but haven't been able to find anything useful although there are plenty of empty promises Also I find I can't load Java onto my XP SP laptop as it says that I need a higher version of Windows One alleged conversion program WDB Files - Need to access old files is a Java application and requires Java Can anyone suggest a way of getting Works Data Base files into a format that will load into OpenOffice This pretty much means into any other format I have tried writing my own program in a BASIC language thinking that if I read in a section of data I can string slice it to keep the stuff I want but this doesn't seem to be possible Help please John PS Merry Christmas

A:WDB Files - Need to access old files

You can download the latest Java version 7 here. I have it on my XP SP3 computer.

Download and install the offline version

Windows x86 Offline  28.09 MB

Is this the converter you were talking about?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560825/wdb-files-need-to-access-old-files/
Relevancy 35.26%

I am fixing my co-workers computer, something went wrong with the harddrive and they are unable to boot up Windows XP but I do have access to their files but for some reason her husbands files, won't let me open the docs/pics, I am assuming when he set up the computer he made his User Admin. Private, preventing me to copy/view his files, any suggestions?

A:Unable To Access Files

How are you trying to access the files?If you hooked the HDD to another computer then you may need to take ownership of the files.How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/100453/unable-to-access-files/
Relevancy 35.26%

Yesterday my computer started acting up I ended up having to do a system recovery When I did this though it deleted all of my names User Getting files: Denied Access accounts In Windows Explorer I can still see them though and even access the old files of that one Now the main user account I used on this computer needed a password so I assume that is why it Getting files: Access Denied is giving me an access denied message when I try to open it Is there any way I could be able to see these Getting files: Access Denied files As I said Getting files: Access Denied the accounts are erased from the main welcome page so I wouldn t be able to click on it from there to type in a password Please tell me there is a way I can view these files I was in the middle of making a photo CD of most of the pictures I have of my daughter digital and they are all on that name If I don t get access it will be gone forever nbsp

Relevancy 35.26%

I have a wired desktop comp and a wireless laptop both connected through a Netgear router and able to access the internet fine. I want to access the desktop files from the laptop and after turning off both firewalls - checking NETbios is on in both - computer browser is active on both and I set the files on the desktop that I want to share on the network.

I can ping the desktop and even see the directory, but I get the error message "||'computer(name)\MyDocuments (the folder i want)\ is not accessible, when I click on the folder.

Can anyone tell me what else I might need to do to be able to access the files?

thx in advance

dave

Relevancy 35.26%

Ok, so I have a Storagebird 500gb external disk full of videos, pictures and stuff. Recently it started to load slowly and when I try to play files from it, it says 'Error -43: a file could not be found ('xxxx.mov'). The HD shows up in disk management and my computer, but I can only access a handful of files. Is there a way to recover the rest of them? Thanks in advance.

A:Can't access files on my external HD

Quote: Originally Posted by ggdd

Ok, so I have a Storagebird 500gb external disk full of videos, pictures and stuff. Recently it started to load slowly and when I try to play files from it, it says 'Error -43: a file could not be found ('xxxx.mov'). The HD shows up in disk management and my computer, but I can only access a handful of files. Is there a way to recover the rest of them? Thanks in advance.

sounds suspiciously like an HD failing. Might want to run a chkdsk to see and if so perhaps the mfrs disk checking app.

A- CHKDSK /R /F:

Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt.

Do this for each hard drive on your system.

When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter.

Then reboot and let the test run.

It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors.

See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.
B- Elevated Command Prompt:

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"
C-CHKDSK LogFile:

Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter

Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.

Double click on the Source column header.

Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7) (winlogon for XP).

Copy/paste the results into your next post.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/197444-cant-access-files-my-external-hd.html
Relevancy 35.26%

I have a Desktop and two laptops set up on a network The desktop is running windows xp pro One laptop is using XP home and the other is using vista basic The two XP machines both connect fine I can share files and a printer which is connected to the desktop The two laptops seem to be ok and can share files between each other The Vista laptop can see both the other computers on the network but when i try to look inside the desktop pc for the shared folders I am denied access Message shows quot DESKTOP-PC is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission Access cant on files access network denied quot The same message appears if try to connect to the vista laptop from the desktop I a can however use remote desktop from the vista laptop to the desktop Please cant access files on network Help nbsp

Relevancy 35.26%

Problem I cannot open view modify copy or otherwise access in encrypted files Can't EFS access any way my personal Can't access EFS encrypted files files that have been encrypted by the Windows EFS Hello I need help from someone who Can't access EFS encrypted files understands the Windows Encrypting File System and is willing to help me understand and troubleshoot this problem I know this is a little long but please bear with me I apologize for the length but I wanted to give as much detail as possible up front and hopefully to help someone in the future should they come across this I am a novice in general and specifically to EFS so it is difficult to understand the problem I have been reading up about EFS but I m hoping for someone to put it into layman s terms so I can understand the problem better and so I can contribute better in finding the solution i e finding keys certificates locations importing them back into the files so they can be accessed etc I don t even know if what I just said makes sense but those are the concepts I need help on I ve read on other forums of people not being able to access encrypted files but they talk about having done a reinstall of Windows or a format of the hard drive and now they can t access their encrypted files Therefore the standard reply is that they re out of luck and the files are unrecoverable In their case that seems to be an acceptable answer In my case however I did not reinstall Windows or reformat I do not know the cause of the problem but I will provide a background of recent events on my computer On April I suspected I got infected by something and sought help on another forum I received help in removing the infection which was apparently a trojan password stealer as per the helper who viewed the ComboFix logs The infection was supposedly removed and my system appeared normal Days later I noticed the encrypted files were inaccessible Pictures are not viewable documents cannot be opened access denied etc The action of right click gt Properties gt Advanced gt UNCHECK Encrypt contents so secure data gt Apply yields the message quot Error applying attributes to the file X Access is denied quot Again I m a novice so what I m saying might just be illogical speculation but I bring it up so someone more knowledgeable can eliminate it as a possibility in order to find the cause and solution Here are the possibilities I ve come up with Despite the removal cleaning of the infection the trojan or whatever it was messed with the encryption By that it a deleted one or both of the encryption keys master personal b deleted the certificate assigned to the encrypted files used to access decrypt them at will c implemented its own encryption or encryption key or thumbprint over my existing encryption Reasons why I suspect this -All the encrypted files have roughly the same Accessed date and time roughly April am only about hours after I was infected on April -The encrypted files that were present on my system at the time of infection have an Encryption Thumbprint that is different from the Thumbprint of a newly created encrypted file -I have read of an infection where a virus encrypts a user s files and holds them for ransom One person replied that the virus only quot pretended quot to encrypt the files by making copies of existing files and then encrypting those files and hiding the originals Reasons why I think this is not the case the problem is limited to files encrypted by EFS rather than every file on my system Other possibilities Result of running ComboFix I have read recently on this forum that someone had a problem where ComboFix deleted user profiles and as I understand it user profiles are tied to EFS and certificates Any modification to them will result in loss of certificates Reasons why I think this is not the case The files all have the same Accessed day and time as mentioned above and ComboFix was run a day after that day and time listed Therefore what would ComboFi... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/390896/cant-access-efs-encrypted-files/
Relevancy 35.26%

I ran dds and gmer in safemode per Broni's instruction. I ran dds twice and gmer once. DDs froze up and did not create a log at all. The popups on my desk top (in normal operating mode) tell me to run an HDD scan all my files are in danger etc... All of my files and applications are gone. I may be able to do a screen shot if that helps. I cannot access any browsers in normal operating mode. I'm running xp media edition. In safe mode i can't access a browser if i log into my personal desktop.
hmmm. what should i try next?
thanks

A:Cannot access any files or applications

ok here is the gmer log
dds created no log.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/458204/cannot-access-any-files-or-applications/
Relevancy 35.26%

EVERYTIME I TRY TO OPEN A PROGRAM A FLASHING WINDOW COMES UP THAT SAYS VIEW AND TRACT DOWNLOADS/WITH ALL MY PROGRAMS LISTED IN IT, BUT WILL NOT LET ME ACCESS ANY OF THEM. THE FILE FOLDER SAYS ELAINE/PC/DOWNLOADS. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS IS HAPPENING.

A:CANNOT ACCESS PROGRAMS//FILES

Are you the administrator of your account?

Or are you trying to access someone else's Downloads folder?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-access-programs-files-607525.html
Relevancy 35.26%

I have many CDs of digital photos, but one of them is giving me problems. When I inster it in my PC and open it from "my computer", I can only get as far as the file folder containing the images, but when I click on it, it won't open. The images are there, because I can view them in my standalone DVD player. I've tried safe mode in case that helped, but still nothing happened. Any idea how I can access these files again? Cheers.

A:Can't access image files on CD.

can you copy the folder onto your harddrive
and then see if you can see the images from the harddrive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-image-files-on-cd.523628/
Relevancy 35.26%

I have two partitions on this computer, both with Windows XP.

Is there any way for me to access/copy/delete files in the other partition? If so, what's the simplest way?

A:Access Files On Another Partition?

I'm not quite clear on the question you're asking Damo, are you being denied access to files on the other partition? You may need to take ownership of them:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/280446/access-files-on-another-partition/
Relevancy 35.26%

After installing a new hard drive and putting the O S on it I put the On Hd Hd And Installed Access New Can't Files Old old master hard drive in my external enclosure so I could Installed New Hd And Can't Access Files On Old Hd get all my old files I had backed up my entire master drive onto a slave drive but as it turns out the backup drive went bad which is why I decided to replace the hard drives and I was only able to obtain some of the files that were accessible Now the problem is that when I try to go to my old master drive and try to get to MY DOCUMENTS or MY PICTURES I get an error message that says that it is not accessible and ACCESS IS DENIED How do I get to these files These files were under the only account mine on my computer which was set up as an administrator so I am guessing that is why I can t access them without doing something that I don t know how to do yet Any ideas Suggestions

A:Installed New Hd And Can't Access Files On Old Hd

McGhee,Try taking ownership of the files on the old hard drive:"How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP":http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/119895/installed-new-hd-and-cant-access-files-on-old-hd/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hi All I'm a Novice user despite owning PCs since I only use my computer for the basics e g browsing research emails games forum discussions but I CAN follow instructions for quot how-to quot repairs updates etc I'm using the despicable Windows unfortunately and I'm the owner quot Administrator quot and ONLY USER files own 8...HELP computer in can't I my on access my own of my Lenovo G laptop I found out that owning and being the ONLY USER and I can't access my own files on my own computer in 8...HELP being quot administrator quot means NOTHING to the paranoid fools at Micro oft as I can't access quot Document quot quot Program Data quot amp I'm sure lots of other files on my computer even though I'M the one who caused these quot inaccessible quot files to be made I tried for over hour amp minutes a few days ago to change the quot sharing quot settings but was told by a message box that I'm not quot allowed quot to even TRY to change the quot sharing quot settings Why would Micro oft construct an OS that even its OWNERS Administrators and ONLY USER can't adjust their own settings for privacy amp sharing Will someone PLEASE list the steps I need to take to make the necessary adjustments so I can get to my own files I gratefully appreciate any amp all suggestions DogPal

A:I can't access my own files on my own computer in 8...HELP

Originally Posted by DogPal

Hi All!
I gratefully appreciate any & all suggestions!! DogPal

I would do a refresh or restore to factory settings & start fresh.

Once refreshed or restored, post here for advice as what to do next before doing a bunch of things to mess the computer up again.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/30932-i-cant-access-my-own-files-my-own-computer-8-help.html
Relevancy 35.26%

I need to change the security settings on my server PC. The pc was used as a server for abook keeping program. I can see the other pc on the network but I cannot access any files from that pc to mine because of the security settings. How can I disable this so that I can transfer files to and from the pc .

Relevancy 35.26%

I have G disk with no files visible on it, but when I check it with any antivirus I do see my photos and documents I've missed.

How could such problem be solved?

A:Invisible files - can't get access

I would use a live linux cd and mount the drive and view it, I can't be 100 % sure, but I have a feeling your stuff would show up. Perhaps I can point you in the right direction as I don't know your linux skill set I will suggest Kubuntu | Friendly Computing if you have any questions about how to mount a hard drive, feel free to ask, if I am still not sleeping I will surely answer them. Also, you will need to gran an .iso image from that site, and burn it using something like cdburnerxp (pick the version without opencandy)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/320933-invisible-files-cant-get-access.html
Relevancy 35.26%

HiI been getting security warning from my firewall to allow TCP internet access to and some other the name of the file is ilnprfhjlo exe and fjgsls exe I blocked that today but searched in google and could not find any info on it I did a search in my PC but can not find any file with that name run Spyboot but still the same Cannot see the exact location of the file but the starts with C Documents and Settings user Local SettingsI think the problem started when I installed the software from http www web-mediaplayer com Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system ibmpmsvc exeC Trying Files Internet With Help Access To Exe WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System S EvMon exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exeC Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec Client Firewall ISSVC exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exeC WINDOWS Help With Exe Files Trying To Access Internet system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS System drivers trcboot exeC Program Files ThinkPad ConnectUtilities AcPrfMgrSvc exeC Program Files IBM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exeC Program Files IBM SQLLIB BIN db jds exeC Program Files IBM SQLLIB BIN db sec exeC Program Files IBM Personal Communications PCS AGNT EXEC Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exeC progra c ebreg c ebreg exec sdwork issimsvc exeC Program Files KService KService exeC WINDOWS System mnmsrvc exeC WINDOWS system cmd exeC PROGRA AT amp TNE NetCfgSv EXEC WINDOWS system rundll exeC WINDOWS System RegSrvc exec Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus SavRoam exeC Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exeC WINDOWS System svchost exec program files lenovo system update suservice exeC Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exeC Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec Client Firewall SymSPort exeC WINDOWS System TPHDEXLG exeC Program Files Common Files Lenovo Scheduler tvtsched exeC Program Files TightVNC WinVNC exeC Program Files ThinkPad ConnectUtilities AcSvc exeC WINDOWS System Drivers ldlcserv exeC Program Files IBM tivoli dcd client ISSI jvm jre bin java exeC WINDOWS System acs exeC Program Files ThinkPad ConnectUtilities SvcGuiHlpr exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC PROGRA ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPHKMGR exeC WINDOWS system RunDll exeC Program Files ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPONSCR exeC Program Files ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TpScrex exeC Program Files ThinkPad Utilities TpKmapMn exeC progra c ebreg isamtray exeC WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exeC Program Files Google Gmail Notifier gnotify exeC Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exeC WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exeC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC PROGRA SYMANT SYMANT VPTray exeC Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite LaunchApplication exeC Program Files ThinkPad ConnectUtilities ACTray exeC Program Files ThinkPad ConnectUtilities ACWLIcon exeC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopIndex exeC Program Files IBM My Help plugins com ibm myhelp common pmonmh exeC Program Files PC Connectivity Solution ServiceLayer exeC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exeC PROGRA ThinkPad UTILIT EzEjMnAp ExeC WINDOWS system TpShocks exeC Program Files Common Files Lenovo Scheduler scheduler proxy exeC Progra... Read more

A:Help With Exe Files Trying To Access Internet

Hello nava2007 and welcome to BleepingComputer!Apollogies for the delay. If you are still having problems please post a brand new HijackThis log as a reply to this topic. Before posting the log, please make sure you follow all the steps found in this topic:Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.Please also post the problems you are having.Thanks,Johannes

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/117631/help-with-exe-files-trying-to-access-internet/
Relevancy 35.26%

I've seen several similar problems posted but I can't resolve this one.

I have two computers networked together. Both are XPpro, and both are using simple sharing. When I go into the sharing & security settings of the Program Files folder on one of the computers all of the options are grayed out and a little message states that

"None of these options are available because this folder is used by the OS"

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
JTN

Relevancy 35.26%

A friend emailed me error get Can't - access files with this problem with all files under My Documents on Can't access files - get error her XP machine The properties of the files are there the file names dates etc but when you go to open the word files you get this message Document name or path is no valid check file permissions for document or drive Use file open dialog box to locate the document When you click on a photo to open you get No preview available You cannot do anything with the files I tried emailing a photo to my machine but it won t let me it s like everything is protected somehow and I don t know how to fix it Click to expand I thought that somehow she was no longer the owner of these files and told her to check the Security tab under properties and to make sure the box that says quot make this folder private quot is NOT checked Her Can't access files - get error response I Can't access files - get error am the only listed user on the machine When I go to the folder and click on properties I do not get a security tab I only get General Sharing amp Customize There is no security option in any of those tabs I also checked again to see if the private folder was checked it s not Click to expand I m not sure what to tell her at this point Can anyone help nbsp

A:Can't access files - get error

If she is running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-files-get-error.535445/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hello
I fix my brother's computer and I try to access his folder and I couldn't... I replaced his HD and give him the oldone as a backup.. Now he has all stuff in his folder as a GUS1.
Just denied my request to open (I include the ICOM) so I don't know what to do in this case, I try everything.. unlocked, try copy to new HD but NOthing ,, nada no you can't access his files under D:\Document and settings\Gus1...
Need help..
Thanks guys...
AACM

Relevancy 35.26%

I have 3 win7 machines on my home network and one unraid (NAS) server. All my machines can see each other they are all under the same workgroup. However they cannot access each other c or d drives. I have setup shared files on one and when i attempt to access those folder windows says network error . windows cannot access you do not have permission to access.

I have setup all my windows machines to network discovery on, file/printer sharing on, use 128 bit encryption, turn off password sharing. homne group connection is set to - use user account to connect to other computers.

Ive been at this for ages read a million threads and still cant get access.

Should i not be able to access my laptops c and d drives from my imac running windows 7? and vice versa.

any help will be appreciated

Cheers
Steve

A:PC's see each other but cant access shared files.

Hardrive sharing requires additional steps than just sharing a folder.

Warning
Sharing the C drive can cause a huge security risk since anyone on the network could potentially damage the machine remotely. Proceed at your own risk
This post should show you how to share a drive across a network, please replace the drive with the particular drive you wish to share - HDD sharing

Hope This Helps,
Josh!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/296710-pcs-see-each-other-but-cant-access-shared-files.html
Relevancy 35.26%

I recently had to reboot Windows XP Home Edition and now can't access my old files folders. I can use R-Studio to remove some of the smaller ones but the rest are 'Not Accessable' - Is there any software available that will enable me to access my old files, or a programme in Windows XP that can do it for me- I have tried using same passwords etc but to no avail! I have over 4 GB of stuff buried in my PC that I can't get to, Please help!!!!!