Windows Support Forum

Looking for replacement heatsink/fans for my CPUs

Q: Looking for replacement heatsink/fans for my CPUs

I have a board that has dual AMD Athlon 64 FX-74s, the fans are incredidbly loud and I searched online but all I found were pretty much the exact same ones that I already have. I don't want to replace the current fans with identical ones that I will probably have the same problem with... So I was wondering if anyone knew of some compatible replacements for these... I would like ones that will give good air flow for the price seeing how I will need 2 of them....

Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Looking for replacement heatsink/fans for my CPUs

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Looking for replacement heatsink/fans for my CPUs

No modern CPU coolers support the socket F from AMD. You may have to find older models.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-replacement-heatsink-fans-for-my-cpus.195772/
Relevancy 76.54%

I have tried a standard 1366 heatsink on T410. The screw distance does not fit. Can anyone tell me the dimension of the two and also the distance between the screws?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19986196
Relevancy 71.81%

I am going to replace my pc's cpu fan and in order to do this I have to remove the heatsink from the computer to get to the fan. I have been researching this and trying to get a definite answer on whether or not to apply thermal grease. I am not replacing my heatsink or cpu; only the cpu fan, like I said I have to remove the heatsink to get to and remove the fan. I have heard some technitions say that I need to re-apply thermal grease if I do this, even if I am not replacing the cpu or heatsink and then I've read that you dont have to. Maybe someone on here who has done this could give me your opinion. Anytime the heatsink is removed from top of the cpu; even when not replacing the cpu or heatsink, is it necessary to apply more thermal grease?

Relevancy 70.09%

Hey everyone!

I really appreciated the post "decent gaming pc" because I've been looking for a very, very budgetable PC to build like I did my last PC in '02. However, the last one I actually had a friend build instead of doing it myself.

I assume everything that is ATX compatible will fit in an ATX case no problem, but my question is about wattage of the power supplies. Is 450W really enough? How do I know what power supply to get, or what brand? What are the concerns when looking at which to buy?

My next question was about installing the CPU and the fan. Anything tricky I need to know about?

Thanks!

A:Wattage of Power Supplies and installing Fans/CPUs

A wattage rating for a power supply means next to nothing. It is the quality of the unit that matters. As an example, a 350W antec pw supply would be preferred over a 500W raidmax, powmax, allied, or other junk pw supply.

If you want a recommendation for a pw supply, post the specs of the system you intend to build ie cpu, video card, number of drives, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wattage-of-power-supplies-and-installing-fans-cpus.694294/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello, I purchased a HP Pavilion P7-1439 Desktop l AMD A10-5700 3.40GHz. I want to add a heatsink fan to it, to prevent it from getting hot. Was the problem with my other PC. What do I need to know as to what kind of heatsink fan is compatable with it? Not sure if this helps but here is my pc's spec page. Please and thank you. I see so many heatsinks fopr sale and dont want to deal with an incompatability issue.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/si...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

A:Heatsink fans

Are you saying the processor in that HP Pavilion p7-1439 desktop doesn't already have a heatsink/cooling fan unit on it?

I seriously doubt that.

-------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/heatsink-fans.1124347/
Relevancy 67.94%

I just got a Athlon 850 mhz Slot A for my computer off ebay (keeping fingers crossed on it). Just as I was about to install it I noticed the some on the fins in the heatsink were bent and brackets that held the fans on were broken. I guessing the guy tried to remove the heatsink and fans before he hocked it.

First off do you think it's safe to use the bent heatsink or should I swap it out with the old one? I'm a little squeamish on maybe damaging the processor so I'd like to avoid doing it.

Second, "IF" I can get away with the above how had is it to change out the fans? I"m afraid I'll end up breaking the brackets taking the fans off my old CPU.

A:replacing CPU fans/heatsink

Hi,

The heatsink being damaged will not affect the way it works, or at least not enough to make a difference. However, the bracket not being correct can make a big difference. My concern is that maybe he put enough pressure on the heatsink trying to remove it that he may hava damaged the CPU itself. Those heatsink fins don't bend that easily on most of them. If it doesn't post, then I would replace the heatsink and fan and try that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacing-cpu-fans-heatsink.239721/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have found a very good article at Tom's Hardware (www.tomshardware.com) where they thoroughly tested power supplies and wrote comprehensive reviews, including a decibell chart.

I am having trouble finding a review on CPU coolers that includes info on how quiet they are (or aren't).

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find such an article?

I have a P4 system and am fairly satisfied with the quietness of its CPU fan; but, I am not at all satisfied with the CPU fan on my new Athlon 64-bit processor.

Relevancy 65.79%

I'm getting really annoyed by the ever-increasing whine coming from within my current case. These days I just leave the door open for airflow, which quiets things down considerably. Nonetheless, CPU load temperatures exceed the throttling threshold (on a Pentium 4 530).

I'm using the stock Intel heatsink and fan with a crappy $30 case with no active case cooling (passive cooling on the mobo). I know, I know. It was a stupid purchasing decision. I simply underestimated the thermal output of this processor.

So I'm looking for a reasonably priced case (~$100 max) with good cooling, and a new CPU heatsink (preferably under 700g and $50). I'm currently eyeing the 670g CoolerMaster Eclipse heatsink, but I'm worried it won't fit with the large neighbouring capacitors on my Asus P5GDC-V mobo. Haven't decided on a cool case yet - mostly because I don't know which ones cool effectively.

What are your recommendations?

Relevancy 65.79%

Hi just a question about fans and keeping things cool I have all the parts no cpu yet waiting for thursday except case fans and I was hoping someone could tell me the best set-up for them I bought Akasa AK- Intel Core Duo Heatsink it s a side blowing fan and can move up to cfm so do I need a mm exhaust fan with similar air flow capacity or lesser size due to the fan on the psu http www before and heatsink Solved: build fans I question Airflow frostytech com articleview cfm articleid amp page Am I looking to create negative pressure as I move from Solved: Airflow fans and heatsink question before I build the front of the case towards the back and so what size of fan should I have at the front of the case or does airflow dictate I shouldn t have a front fan I was thinking one of these for the back http www scan co uk Products ProductInfo asp WebProductID it s a mm fan moving cfm but should I get one for the front A power fan header - is this used only for the psu fan and is it weird I don t have a connection coming from my psu If the heatsink comes with quot Thermal compound pre-applied quot does this mean I have no need for any other thermal grease etc and just stick it directly into place The heatsink came with no instructions at all - it s even mentioned in the review Lastly on the mobo there are places for pin system fan and pin fans system fan is sys fan for the exhaust fan and sys fan for the front fan and do both pin and pin have speed control Mobo Gigaybyte GA-P -S Spec http www blackberryelectronics com prod htm Thanks a bunch for any help I just want to set it up properly in the beginning as oppose to mucking it up and coming and asking then nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

I really do not want to be stuck on the phone with some tech guy in India for two hours again so I wanted to ask some professionals I have a Dell Inspiron bought back in - Windows XP OS G of DDR mhz Ram - Mb and - GB Intel Core heatsink, power still computer supply, and issues fans... and motherboard, New having Duo Processor E M Cache GHz MHz FSB GB HD Watt Power Supply NVIDIA GeForce mGPU graphics card M-Audio Fast Track Pro external sound card This computer is my studio baby I New motherboard, power supply, heatsink, and fans... and still having computer issues use it for all my computer graphics and D animation work while my husband uses New motherboard, power supply, heatsink, and fans... and still having computer issues it for all his audio recording work About years ago it did the whole turn itself off and on and off and on etc so we had the motherboard and power supply replaced and it worked like new Just last week it happened again same power off on problem so this time we had the motherboard power supply heat sink and fans replaced It worked fine for a few hours and then suddenly shut itself off again It hasn t done the whole turn itself back on and off thing multiple times yet so I m thinking this might be a new problem Any suggestions Thank you in advance for any help nbsp

A:New motherboard, power supply, heatsink, and fans... and still having computer issues

Is the version of Windows XP 64-bit by any chance? If so, that could explain the intermittent behavior...

You might want to go with a 400w power supply from a trusted manufacturer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-motherboard-power-supply-heatsink-and-fans-and-still-having-computer-issues.156314/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello,

I have a Pavilion dv6t-7000 Entertainment PC and I need to replace the fan/heatsink.

Problem is I don't know whether I have discrete or UMA memory.

This is all that I can provide because I've chosen not to turn on my laptop until I replace the fan seeing as the last time I turned it on it shut down on its own after a message indicated the fan isn't operating properly.
Product: A3E87AV
Serial : [personal information removed]
Intel i5

I've looked through the pdf manual and read through several posts but none of them have helped me figure out what type of memory I have.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Fan-Heatsink-Replacement/td-p/5839424
Relevancy 63.64%

I have HP G72-259WM laptop ( with heatsink part number 606013-001) and my cooler stopped working,;the service guy from local IT store wants to charge me a lot for original part ( 606013-001 );I have another  HP G72-b10em with heatsink part number 606014-001 so I'm wondering can I use that one instead, because they're almost identical phisicaly...thanx in advance..

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Heatsink-replacement-and-compatibility/td-p/5631495
Relevancy 62.78%

The mm x mm x mm heatsink cooling fan AVC p n F B UX needs to be replaced on my HP Pavilion a n desktop I ve searched everywhere and cannot find the correct replacement fan for this computer I ve spoken replacement HP needs cooling heatsink a420n a fan with HP parts HP HP a420n needs a replacement heatsink cooling fan tech support and an AVC distributor Since the computer is five years old as of this week nobody can find the part number or information I require to order a replacement fan I tried to use a replacement fan that I found on the internet but the computer would not recognize HP a420n needs a replacement heatsink cooling fan the fan My guess is that the new fan didn t have the proper amperage or speed to satisfy the processor I found several fans on the AVC website but I don t know the operating characteristics required to satisfy the HP a n s processor The AVC website offered the following fans DA L A W RPM DA M A W RPM DA H A W RPM DA U A W RPM Does anyone know if one of these fans would work Thanks Bob nbsp

A:HP a420n needs a replacement heatsink cooling fan

Your replacement fan may be one that doesn't have speed sensing.
You may be able to disable the fan speed detection warning in
the BIOS setup.
In order to use the speed detection,you need a fan that has the
third conductor.
If you have problems finding one in your area,you might consider
buying a cheap,stock amd 939 heatsink and taking the fan off it.
Something like this.
Heatsink Ebay.

That fan size is pretty standard and the speed is a matter
of preference.
Faster is more cooling,but more noise.
Basically,the motherboard checks that the fan is running.
If not,it will issue a warning or shut down.
It's usually a warning and will shut down at the cut off temperature.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-a420n-needs-a-replacement-heatsink-cooling-fan.813350/
Relevancy 62.78%

I've just bought a replacement fan and heatsink combo for a gpu of mines, and I've realized I don't know what I could clean the previous heatsinks thermal paste/grease off with that wouldn't be terribly caustic to the chipset, there also seams to be a bit of paper or something on the chipset, any recommendations?
Here is the combo I was speaking of; http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=993564&CatId=498

Relevancy 61.92%

I am replacing an old mobo due to constant running and bulging capacitors. But its my first time dinking with anything mobo related. Or really anything that isn't replacing a bad PSU.
The old one is an MSI P965 Neo-7.
The new one is a Biostar G41 DVI.
I have the CPU installed fine and went to put the heatsink on top (Ultra brand). The screw holes are too small. Of course, that's when I noticed that I didn't remove the mounting bracket for the heatsink from the back of the old mobo. But I can't get it off. It seems to be glued in using some kind of foam tape pad. The new mobo didn't come with a mounting bracket.
Is there some kind of way to remove the old mounting bracket and install it on the new mobo OR do I have to find myself a new mounting bracket (or heatsink) somewhere?

A:Heatsink mounting bracket - removal or replacement?

Usually some foam is placed between the mounting bracket and the back of the motherboard to prevent the board from getting short circuited. The foam has probably stuck to the two surfaces and hardened over time, which is why they seem glued together. If you aren't worried about damaging the old board (since you are replacing it), just pry off the old backplate with a screw driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/heatsink-mounting-bracket-removal-or-replacement.169958/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello all I have a D PERL mobo and a P E CPU socket I am looking to replace the stock heatsink fan but I need to know if the retaining bracket for the heatsink is removable replaceable without removing the Heatsink bracket removal/replacement retaining mobo I am looking to install a Thermalright XP- along with a Panaflo mm Fan High Speed FBA A H-A that should work with the current retaining bracket I Heatsink retaining bracket removal/replacement figure if the retaining bracket is replaceable Heatsink retaining bracket removal/replacement without removing the mobo I will go ahead and order a metal version of the retaining bracket to replace the current plastic one But if it s not replaceable without removing the mobo I will have to pass because I am not experienced enough to be messing with removing a mobo Thanks in advance for any help insight anyone can offer BTW my system was built by a friend but I am unable to contact him at the moment And researching this online and at Intel s web site etc has been unsuccessful nbsp

A:Heatsink retaining bracket removal/replacement

hi mdexter2,

I went on Intel's website to find some pics of that motherboard. they have a nice page on the D865PERL that lets you view the board from all angles. going by the pics i saw, you should be able to remove the bracket without removing the motherboard. it appears that it uses plastic pins & anchors to hold the bracket to the motherboard. (make sure there are no screws holding it as well)

1. the little white pins (they look like white circles from above) in each corner will need to be pulled (or pried) out.

2. once you have all four white pins removed, you can pull the bracket right off the motherboard. it will take a small amount of force to compress the anchors as you pull up on the bracket.

that's it!

if it the bracket uses another retention method that requires the removal of the motherboard, don't worry it's very simple. the only tool you need is a phillips screwdriver. if you're worried about all the wires... don't be. they only fit where they're supposed to go. if you're still worried, then take a picture before you unplug anything so you'll have an idea of where each wire goes.

hope this helps, cheers :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/heatsink-retaining-bracket-removal-replacement.59748/
Relevancy 61.49%

Firstly, not sure if this is the right place, but seems to fit to me.

Im looking to replace my current set of [rather noisy] case fans which are a mix of 80mm and 120mm ones.

So far I have come up with two options:

Xilence Red Wing: Computer Supplies and PC Components from Novatech
Enermax Magma: |Specialtech.co.uk

If anyone has experience of either make, Id be happy to hear what you think of them. Noise level is the prime criteria rather than leds etc.

A:Replacement case fans

here's a few ''near silent'' chassis fans you may want to look at....
1... ''Noctua NF-s12b flex'' are great fans, 57CFM Low static pressure

2... ''Sharkoon Silent Eagle SE'', 1000RPM and comes with resistor wires to further lower RPM and noise if you wish, excellent performer too.

3...''Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XL1'', 1000rpm / 41CFM @ 13db....

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/67028-replacement-case-fans.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I need to replace a 40mm case fan (which was added as an afterthought), but there are brushless, etc.

How long should this type of fan last in daily usage (in addition to other fans)?

I see costs for fans from $2 to $7 on this size fan (does cost have any bearing on how long they'll last)?

This is for my desktop.

A:Replacement Case Fans?

Quote: Originally Posted by dogbert2

I need to replace a 40mm case fan (which was added as an afterthought), but there are brushless, etc.

How long should this type of fan last in daily usage (in addition to other fans)?

I see costs for fans from $2 to $7 on this size fan (does cost have any bearing on how long they'll last)?

This is for my desktop.

Any fan should last several years in normal operation. I would not expect much of a correlation between cost and longevity.

Get a reliable brand--Scythe, Nexus, Noctua, etc.

Fans that small can't move much air without spinning very fast, so you should expect it to make a racket.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/157634-replacement-case-fans.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi Seven Gurus, having problems w/ my 4 yr old laptop computer shuts down after powered on 2-3 minutes, have eliminated HDD & RAM as possible culprits (reseated both & swapped out both HDD & RAM...same result) Tried blowing out the dust bunnies... same result... don't feel hot air blowing out side vent.

I've found these links online for replacement Fan/Heatsink but am concerned about vendors being trustworthy.
Gateway NV53A NEW90 NV59C NV59C66U CPU Heatsink Fan AT0C9001DR0 KSB06105HA
Gateway NV59 Laptop Cooling Heatsink and Fan AT0C9001DR0 | eBay
Amazon.com: Gateway NV59C Intel Laptop Heatsink w/ Fan, 60.WJ802.006 , AT0C9001DR0, at0c9001ss0, 60.psv02.005, at0c9001av0: Computers & Accessories
Gateway NV59 Laptop Cooling Heatsink and Fan AT0C9001DR0

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Part # AT0C9001DR0 see attached image:
Attachment 336017

A:Need replacement cooling fan/heatsink Gateway NV59c notebook

Just ordered the part from the E-Bay link above seller had very high marks. Now I hope it's just the fan/sink needs replacing...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/348171-need-replacement-cooling-fan-heatsink-gateway-nv59c-notebook.html
Relevancy 60.63%

From the I-hate-fans-on-video-cards department:

I frequently run into machines with near new to not very old video cards that work just fine except the fans on the video cards are stuck/whining/vibrating and/or just plain noisy. Other than taking a boat to China or going to the original manufacturer, is there any place that sells replacemant fans for these things?

I have just such a card is my shop computer. The card was installed 07/21/2007 and the fan hasn't even lasted a year (typical).

A:Replacement fans for video cards

You'd probably be better off getting an aftermarket cooler anyways, but thats about as much as I know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacement-fans-for-video-cards.712275/
Relevancy 60.2%

Does anyone know a part number for the white plastic heatsink frame retainer 'screws' that were used in some of the GX270-era Optiplexes?  Or a source for buying replacements when they break?
Thanks in advance for any help.
JEFF

A:Part number or replacement source for GX270 plastic heatsink retainers?

The GX270 part page does not list screws. All I can find is this but it is black and green?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19991112
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi Everyone I have a Dell Inspiron desktop purchased January It used to run really quietly but recently it s sounding louder during operation I ve had the side panel off a number of times but couldn t pin point what exactly was responsible but once the Desktop 3847 Inspiron Dell Replacement fans for side panel is replaced and the PC is placed back in it s usual location the sound is there and it sounds like one of the fans It had been suggested to me to place the PC on a softer surface as it could be just down to resonating I ve stood it directly on my floor in my office but the sound is still there a varied hummmmmmm sound which on further listening seems to be the chassis fan My question is where can i purchase a new replacement chassis fan the one on the back also if it turns out to be the CPU fan can I replace just the fan without disturbing the heatsink thermal paste and processor I also need advice where I can purchase a replacement CPU fan it s Replacement fans for Dell Inspiron 3847 Desktop an Intel core i th Gen Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank You Mr Anthony

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19990849
Relevancy 51.17%

Anyone know of a heatsink that is similar in dimensions to the stock AMD heatpipe heatsink, but performs better and has a larger fan?

Thanks.

Relevancy 50.74%

Real simple here - Plz post links to the Best AMD 3200 heatsink, fan, & chip heatsink for an MSI KT6v with Via kt600 Chipset
oh yes i scrappd the FIC peice of junk MB and use the above for now -

ty & GB,

DL

ty & GB,

DL

A:Plz post links to the Best AMD 3200 heatsink, fan, & chip heatsink

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/plz-post-links-to-the-best-amd-3200-heatsink-fan-chip-heatsink.240134/
Relevancy 49.88%

hey

i noticed yesterday that the fan & heatsink on my athlon xp (2100+) processor is pretty full of dust. can anyone please tell me how to go about
detatching that clip that holds them to the mobo socket so i can clean them out? i built the pc, but have kinda forgotten exactly how the clip latches down & i don't want to exert too much force on anything in that area.
is it correct that i'll also need to regrease the bottom of the sink with thermal grease? is this grease available at places like best buy or circ. city?

thank you!

A:How to remove athlon xp heatsink/fan for heatsink cleaning

Forgive me, but I find it hard to believe that if you put that machine together once, you forgot how to take it apart now.
It is human nature to never forget something that you did on your own.
That hold's true for computers also.
Maybe it will suffice if you just unscrew the fan from the heatsink and clean the fan and heatsink fins with a 1/4 - 1/2 inch paintbrush.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-athlon-xp-heatsink-fan-for-heatsink-cleaning.20331/
Relevancy 49.88%

Dealing with an slim Dell Dimension 5150c..

Beside main heatsink there another smaller heatsink...which is extremely hot to the
touch...what is this?

Relevancy 45.15%

Yes as the title suggest I have a question about fans Fans Solved: Fans Fans Right now I have a computer that can actually heat my small room First off I have four sticks of RD RAM that have the heat spreaders on both sides You can fry and egg on these things Then I have an Asus fanless GS the heatsink on this gets fairly hot I have two rear mm exhaust fans one spins at about RPM and the other is about RPM I think its on its way out going to replace both When I put my hand back there its Solved: Fans Fans Fans pretty hot almost like a blow dryer I want to add an extra fan or two but I can t decide what would be best I would like to ask your opinions on this First Solved: Fans Fans Fans I thought of adding a front intake fan but my case only has that small front vent that almost underneath I have a spot to mount a front fan but it wouldn t actually be taking in air theres no vents in the case there I was also thinking about adding one of those quot drive bay fans for intake I found a nice one on NewEgg that has two fans I thought this could help take in some air Not sure how well they work I also want to keep the db level down My second thought and the one I think I m going to go with is adding a top fan First I thought to make it an exhaust fan I see these a lot but I don t know how good they are do they interfere with the rear exhaust fans Then I thought to make a top intake fan I wouldn t want to pull more in then is being exhausted though that doesn t make much sense to me What if I put a mm fan blowing out at the top then turn my two mm fans around to intake air I wonder how this would work So what do you guys think nbsp

Relevancy 41.71%

What are good quality case fans that can keep an AMD processor up to 2600+ cool?? Along with CPU Coolers too??

I dont want any that are LOUD either...

Thanks!

Relevancy 40.42%

While reading the article about the Tualatin upgrade, I noticed they list the PIII-S as being the only one that supports SMP. I had never heard of a PIII-S. How can I be sure my pair of PIII 1ghz are actually running in SMP under 2000 Pro/XP Pro?

A:Am I really using 2 CPUs?

Easy - open your task manager - check the perfornance tab - launch pretty much anything and you'll see it balance the load across the two processors. Or you can just check Device Manager and see that it says Multiprocessor PC.

LNCPapa

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/am-i-really-using-2-cpus.2593/
Relevancy 40.42%

Does any one know if there will ever be anything past the Athlon XP 3200+, or are the 64 bit processers where its at now? I did a bit of googling, but I can't seem to find anything on the subject. No real reason, just wondering...

A:AMD CPUs...

You need to be a bit more specific.

"Will there be anymore AthlonXP on Socket-A after the 3200 ?"
No.

"Will there be anymore AMD CPUs on Socket-A after the 3200 ?"
Yes. AMD will release more Sempron CPUs on the Socket-A platform.

Are the 64 bit processers where its at now?
Yes. Athlon64 is AMD's new mainstream part. Newer parts will be released on the Socket-939 platform. The Socket-754 is also available but it currently tops out at 3700+ & there are no plans on introducing faster parts on that platform. It will soon be a Sempron only platform, similar to what is happening with the Socket-A platform right now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-cpus.16411/
Relevancy 40.42%

could anyone tell me what the difference between athlon, duron, and thunderbird CPUs? And are thunderbirds socket a or slot a cpus?

Relevancy 40.42%
Q: CPUs

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good AMD socket 939 for my system.

Specs:
1 GB RAM DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB
MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
200 GB HDD 7200RPM

Also why do CPUs have a city in their name? (Ex. AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Manchester 2.2GHz)

Relevancy 40.42%

Hello! I Just changed my Mobo some months ago, its the same one i had but this one has a pci-e port... Well i didnt installed it.. Someone helped me, Anyways i reinstalled everything after the mobo was installed. Now i open DXDIAG To check my configuration and now it sez that i have 2 Cpu's!
I've ran some other programs such as Everest And a Active X Thing at Nzone.com to check system requirements and all of them keep saying that i have 2 cpu's ... I Dont know what happend, i just think that the cpu ram is a small square, did the one that installed the new mobo just placed the old cpu square thing in the new mobo?
That means i have 2 cpus? Or my pc is screwed up? Hehe im pretty confused, hope i dont confuse u more guys.
Thanks!

Heres the Dxdiag Info...

A:2 Cpus??

You have a HT (Hyper-Threading) processor. You only have a single Pentium 4 CPU, but Windows thinks that you have two

Check this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthreading

Regards :wave:

:haha:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-cpus.61900/
Relevancy 40.42%
Q: CPUs

Intel i - vs Phenom II X T CPUs vs Intel i - for me this is a question of more cores better I often have multiple applications running msn steam internet etc but it is of course not hard to close these to run games question is what would be the best processor to CPUs go for I first found the AMD phenom II X T and thought it looked pretty neat being a six core processor but then was advised to go intel by a friend but I have compared AMD phenom II X T to intel's core processor i - and they looked fairly similar But then I looked at this post in this thread nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by Fumz i - The is a dud AMD Phenom II X T Overclocking - X-bit labs It really looks bad when stacked up against Intel's core Six Cores from AMD AMD Phenom II X T Black Edition and Phenom II X T CPU Review page - X-bit labs Yes the has hyper-threading but games don't take advantage of that There just aren't many or any titles that can take advantage of hyper-threading so it becomes a moot feature Game review of the CPUs i - vs i - Extreme Intel Core i - EE and Core i - in Contemporary Games - CPUs X-bit labs The difference which is incredibly minor is due to the platform and clock speeds of the two chips how is AMD's phenom II X T so bad as compared to intel's i

A:CPUs

The game has changed now with Intel's Sandy Bridge. Wait a few weeks and see how that plays out. It may end up taking the performance per dollar crown from AMD. A few weeks ago I'd have said to stay with a decent S775 platform or upgrade anything else to DDR3, AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition rev C3 and get at least 4GHz from 3.2 and two extra cores for $90 flat. If the Intel Core i5-2500K comes down in price any it may actually have better performance potential as well as better platform longevity.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/138095-cpus.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hey guys ! thinking of getting another gig of ram and was wondering what are the best dual channel kits to get? also "I'm still kikin myself" I saw a478 p4 3.0e 1mg 800fsb at the flea market for 190 bucks! I was sceptical though you know fleamarkets, you buy it get it home find out it doesn't work,then go back and try to return it the next week! ... So do you think I should have bought it? Whats the chance a p4 like that would be dead? and why would the guy be sellin such a scookum cpu?

Relevancy 39.99%

Hey there i'm new here and i wanna ask something,
i want to connect some pc's to eachother so i can work
on one pc and all the cpu's of the pc's are gathered in one
so i have one strong computer? How do i build this??

A:Gathered CPUs for 4 PCs

Are you kidding?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gathered-cpus-for-4-pcs.125072/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hey everyone Amd Xp Over*clocking Cpus been awile Since my old AMD cpu Fried on me ive got diffrent cpus and now im finding none of them clock to the Actual speed of the cpu Now im running an AMD Over*clocking Amd Xp Cpus XP but it runs at mhz The Drop in Mhz is my FSB on my motherboard the fsb Over*clocking Amd Xp Cpus is only mhz What im trying to do is change the Multiplier of the Cpu to just run at least on this board underclocked Ive tryed quot The WireMod quot on Cpus so far but both came to be a black screen at bootup Anyone know if i can do this My motherboard does have a higher max multiplier than I have no control over anything on this crappy Mobo and am looking for a new one I cant control it with Software at all or i get freezing up all most instantly The Wire mod seems to be the only hope for this board if any Anyone know if i can jump up the multiplier of the CPU to Make up for the Mhz FSB Will it change much of how the cpu runs If anyone can help or anything please toss your cents my way thanks Guys nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

Is anyone aware of an Athlon 64 FX CPU with a 2 MB L2 Cache?

Thanks

A:Athlon 64 FX CPUs

As far as I know the Athlon FX chips all have 1MB L2.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/athlon-64-fx-cpus.328246/
Relevancy 39.99%

Is there much difference between the T4400 and the T6600?

A:Differences between CPUs

Pentium T4400 - 2200 MHz, 1 MB L2 Cache, 800 MT/s FSB, 35 W TDP, Socket P, Q4 2009

Core 2 Duo T6600 - 2200 MHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MT/s FSB, 35 W TDP, Socket P, Q1 2009

i think the T6600 is faster

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/differences-between-cpus.143090/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi, I have a Intel Celeron Williamette-128, and was wanting to upgrade, but im not sure of compatability, I was thinking of a Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz Socket 478 CPU SL6VU. Would this be compatible, or is there a more compatible one? Do you need to purchase a new heatsink along with it, or can the existing one be used? my mobo is a micro star international SiS 650+962, thats all the info HWINFO32 gives me, sorry
Also, would Pentium be a better step?

Relevancy 39.99%

does an AMD Athlon 64 X2 cpu fit in any 939 socket, or do you need a special mobo socket for the X2 series?

thanks alot

A:939 sockets and AMD X2 CPUs

i believe that anyamd 64x2 will fit into any 939 motherboard, aslog as it has the right bios

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/939-sockets-and-amd-x2-cpus.36940/
Relevancy 39.99%

Mainboard : Acer E946GZ
Chipset : Intel i946GZ
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 3000 MHz
Video Card : RADEON X850 Series
Physical Memory : 2560 MB
i was wondering if i can put in a intel core 2 duo E7400 ?
without damaging my motherboard of course

Relevancy 39.99%

I have an Athlon XP 2200, 1.8ghz, and I am thinking of upgrading. There is a decent deal on an Athlon 3000, 2.1ghz. But that doesn't seem much faster than the CPU I have now. Is it worth upgrading? Will I notice a difference with high end 3d games? Why does there seem to be little choice on Athlon cpus right now? Also, what is the real difference between 333 fsb and 400 fsb? Does it require special memory?

What would you guys recommend for upgrading? Thanks!

A:Need help on Athlon XP cpus

Your bios and motherboard dictate what speed of memory and cpu you can use. Check this out first. Does your bios support faster cpu's, does it have frequency dividers for memory, does it allow core voltage adjustments?

If you have a quality heatsink, you should be able to save a bit of money by buying a 2500+ 333FSB athlon and running it at a 400FSB for about the same performance. Although you may have to buy 400mhz DDR unless your bios allows you to set memory ratios.

As far as difference in gaming, an updated video card would have more impact on the gaming performance, you probably wouldn't see any real difference just going to a faster cpu.
Overall, the system will be much more responsive. Going from a 2400+ to a 2700+ was a huge difference to me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-on-athlon-xp-cpus.210331/
Relevancy 39.99%

i was under the impression the new 45 nm Intel CPUs required special boards to support them, but it appears the mobo just needs to say 45 nm ready or compatible... is this correct?

so i just need to search for a mobo that supports LGA 775 processors and 45 nm ready?

Relevancy 39.99%

st Computer Factory built - No post no beeps fans spin hard drive powers on monitor displays 5 Bad Help weeks, Please CPUs 3 in quot no video quot Switching out components from working computer parts shows a bad cpu intel ghz Replaced CPU Motherboard and Heatsink Fan to be 3 Bad CPUs in 5 weeks, Please Help sure --------------------------------------------------- weeks later - No post no beeps fans spin hard drive powers on monitor displays quot no video quot Same problems Testing with a working monitor shows same problem Get new Motherboard Athlon New heatsink fan Combo deal CPU and heatsink fan motherboard all came installed together new case with power supply Used old video card memory hard drive dvd rom Now this computer is running and WoW is smooooooth ------------------------------------------------------- week later - No post no beeps fans spin hard drive powers on monitor displays quot no video quot Same problems ughhh ---------------------------------------------------------- Throughout temperature monitoring showed roughly same temerature levels as all the other computers I have built All system fans were running and heatsink fan was always running The only common components are Montor Keyboard Mouse Video Card Memory Hard Drive which was wiped and redone on rd attempt and DvD rom Drive Same wall plug surge protector Is it possible I have a bad outlet or aged surge protector I ve built computers and I ve never had any problems like this one nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

Hello,

My computer is real old and i want to build a new computer, and im a little low on cash so i wanted to know if this would be enough to keep up with todays games//applications

Intel Celeron D 355
- Processor Speed: 355 / 3.33GHz
- Cache Size: 256KB

1 Gig of memory

ATI RADEON 9250 / 256 DDR

250 gig hard drive

Relevancy 39.99%

I have a Gigabyte P965 DS3P motherboard with a C2D E6420 in it at the moment.

I also have another computer with a Q9400.

I'm hoping to swap the Q9400 into the Gigabyte motherboard, and I just want to confirm that this can be done without a problem. I don't want to go through all the trouble swapping them, potentially causing alot of problems with 2 working computers.

The reason I'm swapping is complicated, but I'd like to do it if older motherboards will take newer CPUs of the same socket...

A:All 775 CPUs compatible?

Hmm... a search of Gigabyte site says that there is non-official support on rev 3.3 of this mobo.....

Only if they'd say how to determine the motherboard rev..... Anyone have any idea?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/all-775-cpus-compatible.147980/
Relevancy 39.99%

Does anyone know if a 266 fsb proc will keep an older kt133 based mobo from posting? I had a friend give me an Athlon tbird 950 socket a, but I can't get it to post on my board. I have an FIC AZ11 with a KT133 chipset, and I am currently using a Duron 850. I plugged the 950 in and used the jumpers to "clear cmos" and fired it up, but it will not post. I was hoping this could be a symptom of FSB incompatability and not a fried cpu. Any wisdom on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 39.99%

Hi,

I was wondering if you can give me advice on these two CPU's. I am building a complete semi-budget system.

My budget is $550-$600. I already built them online and they are ready to order. These builds include every thing... MB, CPU, Memory, sata 3.0gs HD ,case, PSU ,CD/DVD burner , floppy ,keyboard, mouse, 17"lcd Monitor, winxp home.

these are the 2 cpus im trying to decide between.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103735

AMD total build cost =$577.39

or

Intel Pentium D 915 Presler 2.8GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819116253

Intel Total build cost =$558.59

What CPU would you recommend? I am new to the dual core market, but I dont have the budget to buy 2 core duo, so i am building an intermediate system... any advice would be welcome.

thx!

Relevancy 39.99%

Hello I was To AMD Handle? CPUs Too Hot just reading in Tom s Hardware website about AMD CPUs Specifically the higher speed ones such as GHZ They had compared them with Intel s with the same speed and higher clock speeds to see which one can survive if the CPU fan fails at some point The AMD was scorched after a second or two and possibly AMD CPUs Too Hot To Handle? took the motherboard with it Also it is possible for it to cause fires On the other hand the Intel CPU did much better and some even kept running for a long time since some of Intel s throttle the voltage back Now I really like both AMD CPUs and Intel s CPUs however since I have read that article I have my doubts about AMDs I think I may shy AMD CPUs Too Hot To Handle? away from high speed AMDs AMD CPUs Too Hot To Handle? for now I just want to know if any one out there knows some other facts on this issue Is this really the whole story I appreciate your comments LS http www tomshardware com cpu q index html nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

Im looking at buying a new computer, but unsure if there will be a big difference. I dont know much about processors, but is there a big difference between the two below. Does the actual brand (AMD, Intel Quad-Core) make a difference since they are both in the 2.0-2.4 GHz department. I know im cpu stupid, but I just want to make an informed decision

THANKS!
My CPU is a:

AMD Athlon XP Processor 2.08 GHz
512 DDR SDRAM
NVidia GeForce 4 MX - 64 MB SDRAM Video Memory
Windows Vista
Purchased about 3-4 years ago

and

The Computer Im interested in buying is:

* Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
* 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
* 160 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ DataBurst Cache
* 16X DVD-R/RW Drive
* 128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS
* Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
* Dell USB Keyboard and 2-button USB mouse

A:How big of a difference is there between these 2 CPUs

theone you are buying is a quantum leap ahead of your current processor, your current one has one core, and the q6600 has four.

the q6600 is WAY better than that

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-big-of-a-difference-is-there-between-these-2-cpus.604834/
Relevancy 39.99%

Are there any upcoming versions, revisions, refreshes, next generation, variants, etc. to the current Intel Core 2 Duo and AMD equivalent line of processors?

i wanna build a new home workstation soon, but I would wait for the next new line.

TIA

A:new CPUs on the horizon?

The Intel Penryn cored processors should? be released within the next couple of months.
45nm architecture and supposedly 20% faster than Core 2 Duo (Conroe). We should see a price reduction in Conroe cores when Penryn is released.

http://www.computerworld.com/action...ewArticleBasic&articleId=9006938&pageNumber=4

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-cpus-on-the-horizon.606975/
Relevancy 39.99%

Anybody had a 'stock' (ie. not overclocked) processor read this much higher than it's rated speed?

I have an 850MHz 'thoroughbred' 'slot a' Athlon and motherboard. The system originally came with a 650MHz 'classic' Athlon.
The original processor registered 651 to 653MHz with various utilities to measure the clock rates of processors. The 850MHz processor registers as running at 861 to 866MHz.
The mobo is a gigabyte GA-7IXE, original 'irongate' chipset (southbridge is also the original 751 if memory serves me), either the F7 or the 7F BIOS burned into it (latest for this board I think).

A:incorrect MHz on CPUs....

There is no such thing as a Slot A Thoroughbred, the Thoroughbred is a later Socket A chip. Do you mean Thunderbird? Anyway, what is happening is that instead of running the FSB at 100MHz, your motherboard is running it at between 101MHz and 102MHz. This is a common trick to make the board look just that little bit faster in motherboard reviews. It won't damage your CPU.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/incorrect-mhz-on-cpus.384832/
Relevancy 39.99%

I am trying to create a homegroup for my CPUs on Windows 7 over a wireless network. I have 4 different computers that I have tried. None of them can see each other. Each one asks to create a new homegroup, rather than join an exiting homegroup. I have uninstalled Nortan Internet security on main PC. (second one does not have firewall). I have disabled Windows firewall. When I try to ping another computer, I get the message "destination host unreachable." with 0 percent lost. One of the computers, I have just installed windows on for the first time today. There is nothing else installed except for device drivers. All computers can access the internet. When I click on my router, I can see all computers that are connected to the wireless network, but they cannot see each other.

Relevancy 39.99%

you read it in the subject. Why are the newest processers so dang expensive? I am talking about the new p4 EE. A typical 3.2GHz p4 "Extreme Edition" sells for about $1000 a smack. I know they are the best on the market right now, but come on! $1000?? Are they really that much better than the p4 3.2GHz with 800MHz fsb and 512k cache? I know these ones have a 2MB cache, and that really impresses me, but come on here. Some of us actually have normal paying jobs.

Relevancy 39.99%

Will just connecting a USB cable from my desktop (win xp) to my laptop (win95) be enough to be able to see on my laptop, what is on my desktop.
It sounds too simple to work, because my screen window will not be the same on each unit.
I need to see a PROGRAM (Print Shop) thats on one of them , on the other one

A:Connecting two CPUs

Nope. You can use a serial cable to transfer data from one to the other but in order to actually see the other machine's desktop you have to connect via the internet. There are third party softwares to do this such as PC AnyWhere. You may however share files and folders between machines by networking them and for that you need a network card for each machine and CAT5 cables, not USB

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-two-cpus.249457/
Relevancy 39.99%

I would like (A SIMPLE) way to connect my Desktop to my Laptop. All I really need to do is be able to see on my laptop, what I am looking at on my desktop. My wife wishes to sit four or five feet away and be able to see some of the Pictures from Print Shop ver20, so she can make decisions as to what picture she wished to use. She does not need any other functions, but of Course A Scroll capacity would be helpful
Desktop: HP307x Running winXP home
Laptop: Compaq Running win98
Both have usb ports
ANY HELP??
Thanks in Advance

A:Connecting two CPUs

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CABLE-USB-DATALINK&cat=NET

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PUR-USB-DIRECT&cat=NET

either one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-two-cpus.249425/
Relevancy 39.99%

I just have a quick question, I know Intel and AMD used to have a different unit for the gigahertz (if you don't understand I mean and intel 3.2 ghz was equal to a amd athlon 64 3200+ 2.2 ghz, thats right isn't it?) Anyways I was wondering if they are equal now that dual cores came out and do you guys in the core 2 duo is better or the amd X2, thats overall. I ahve been looking to get a laptop, so I was just wanted to know if a mobile cpu's ghz is greater than a "regular" cpu and whats the big difference with mobile cpus. Thanks a lot

A:AMD CPUs v Intel's

This comparison is meaningless nowadays. While Older AMD athlon XP series numbering systems were used as comparatives to intel, it is not true with the Athlon 64 FX or Athlon X2 series processors. The number in the CPU is simply a model #.

Core 2 duo is by far a better CPU than the AMD series. But you are comparing apples and oranges. For pure speed, Intel has the advantage (usually) in the athlon 64/ x2 / fx to core2 duo matchups. But there are many other things that come into play such as motherboard archtecture L2/L3 memory on the CPU and FSB handling of which intel and AMD greatly differ in design. There are some cases where AMD comes out ahead.

Mobile processors are designed to be unlocked and to step down to save energy and reduce heat output automatically. They also tend to have lower voltage usage.

In laptops, intel definately has a strong edge. Get a core 2 duo. Stay away from celerons, P4s, and core duos. these are low end budget processors. On the AMD side stay away from semprons, athlon XP (outdated) series.

For a real CPU comparison, go to tomshardware.com and checkout their CPU charts.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-cpus-v-intels.84741/
Relevancy 39.99%

http www tgdaily com 5000+ X2 CPUs and FX-62 AMD amd m platform launch This FX- processor will be replaced by a GHz FX- at M launch FX- outdated already lol They AMD X2 5000+ and FX-62 CPUs already want a grand for the FX http tinyurl com j ntj Wonder what the FX- will run new Maybe the new FX- will drive down the FX- price a little faster around a yr from now New AMD sockets due next year ---------------------------- A few years ago AMD was applauded for keeping its sockets simple with all of its processor offerings available for socket A More recently AMD came out with sockets and with some processor lines spanning multiple sockets AMD has taken flak for this lack of organization and will make an effort to remedy this problem by replacing its three current sockets with two new sockets in the coming year The new sockets will be called Socket M and Socket F where M will be a -pin socket on which all of AMD s desktop processors will sit and F will be a -pin socket for all of AMD s higher-end server offerings Socket M will be the less expensive option and will support all of AMD s desktop processor lines Sempron Athlon and Opteron Last week it was said that the dual-core series Opterons will be released for Socket in the third quarter of this year so Opteron s are now considered by AMD as workstation and low-end server processors and are therefore slated for the transition to M with their lower-end Athlon brethren My next MOBO http tinyurl com jks k Review http tinyurl com prn f nbsp

A:AMD X2 5000+ and FX-62 CPUs

You have to have something to push the new platform for the enthusiast...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-x2-5000-and-fx-62-cpus.444385/
Relevancy 39.99%

Wasnt sure if is the right place to post my question but I got a few that fit in this category

1. Im kind of confused with the whole Intel vs AMD thing, what AMD processor is equivalent to a intel dual core for example. Is there like list where I can see them lined up in order?

2. There are different types of dual cores for example, right? How do you know whats best? What the max ghz on a dual core?

3. Theres tons of different companies selling PC's, what are some good ones today. I see a lot of eMachines, acers, gateways, dells, any of them good?

Im not buying anything, just wondering...

Thx

A:CPUs (Processors)

Unfortunately, comparing processors isn't like it used to be; in fact, not only have the done away with labeling processors by their speed in ghz, if you grab a bestbuy or any comparable circular, they don't even tell you the specific processor anymore, just something like 'dual core,' After heat and power consumption increased drastically as the cpu manufacturers tried pushing toward 3 ghz, they went down another route and started re-engineering the designs of their processors at their current speeds and manufacturing sizes.

so you might want to do a little research if you do think of buying in the future. There's dual and quad core's now (and triple cores with AMD from what I understand) but I'm not sure as to the specifics; perhaps someone can elaborate.

Personally I shy away from buying pre-fabbed comps and prefer building one myself, but if you're not familiar with doing so and have no interest in the literally hundreds of hours you'll put into research, familiarizing yourself with them, troubleshooting strange problems, etc., I'd stay away from it. I can't really recommend any company though as I'm really not too familiar with them. But one of the best things I can think of doing is looking up tech support problems and nightmare cases with the different companies. You don't want to fall into the same holes others have fell into. So, although again you said you're not buying, always google the models you have in mind (this goes for any tech product of course) and see what problems others have had.

This is a little old, but still informative:
tomshardware.com/charts/processors/3d-studio-max-9,369.html
choose the benchmark from the drop-down menu uptop

For recent prices:
sharkyextreme.com/guides/WCPG/article.php/3758146
also useful are the reviews and the buyers guide down the left hand side of the menu

also, anandtech.com is a good website

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpus-processors.108384/
Relevancy 39.99%

What is the real difference between Pentium I, II, III, and IV?

Some say that it is the CPU range in speed. I have seen some P3s have a faster clock speed then some P4s

Others say it is just a marketing thing. The class of Pentium does not really matter, as it is just to show a type of 'evolution' from model to model; but does not necessarily mean that it is faster.

What do you think?

A:Pentium CPUs

Well I would right a history but dont get a p1,,lol...The biggest differecne is the cache. Onboard and on the die of the cpu. And ofcourse most p4's will always outpreform a p3 there are some kick butt p3 though. And dont forget pins! But there is always a big difference in the mext ge cpu's when the p4 comeout there will be a big differecne in those!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1873/pentium-cpus/
Relevancy 39.99%

When building a custom PC especially on the consumer side the processor is typically second or third down the list of priorities behind graphics storage or specific motherboard features depending on the use case A lot of choosing a processor starts with the budget if there is a preference for one brand or the other or if the performance is similar enough that the money saved on a cheaper model can be spent elsewhere By contrast when it comes to workstations or enterprise situations it helps to have an accurate profile of the intended workflow in order to choose which platform is needed how much memory or how many expansion cards will be used 2016 Best Q1 CPUs: and if the software can prioritize cores over frequency or vice versa In our CPU Guide for Q we ll consider certain environments and budgets and give you our pick of some of the best processors available supplying data from our Benchmark Database where possible Best CPUs Q

http://www.tenforums.com/pc-custom-builds-overclocking/45192-best-cpus-q1-2016-a.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hello,
I dont really know where to put this question, but I guess here is the place. I recently got a new computer, and I want to change the CPU on it, just so I can do more things in Windows. I want a quad core, but I am dubious any will fit on my motherboard. Right now, there is an AMD E1 1500 on it with a 'BGA413' socket. Would anyone know of any CPU's that would fit on my motherboard?

A:What CPUs will fit on my motherboard?

It looks like you can run the C series, E series, E1 series and the E2 1000 series "which you are running now" of AMD processors.

A Complete List of CPU Sockets | Hardware Secrets

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/32115-what-cpus-will-fit-my-motherboard.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi all,

There are many types of CPUs, like Pentiume, Atom, core 2 duo, core iX (X = 3,5, ....), But I always don't look at them this way! I always look at their speed which in GHZ unit and then compare them with each other.
For example when some CPU is in type of 'X' with 2 GHZ of speed and another one is in type of 'Y' with 2.2 GHZ of speed, I say the second one ('Y') has better speed and also better performance.

Is it a correct think?

Thanks

A:Comparing CPUs

You can take a core 2 duo at 3ghz and the newest core i3 at and make the speed of the i3 to 2ghz and they might have about the same performance. so no ghz doesnt really matter when comparing them with each other like you are. there are so many different factors to consider like what generation the cpu is. if you dont want to do all the leg work of researching you can use this website to help you out. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/processors,6.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comparing-cpus.197560/
Relevancy 39.99%

I was taking a look at some parts for a build I might be making soon, and the CPU I was looking at was an Intel Core i7-4790K. One very interesting thing I noticed was that Intel's ARK processor page stated that this 4.4GHz quad-core 8MB cache CPU cost $330 - while the 3.1GHz dual-core 4MB cache i7-4510U in my current laptop was shown as $390 on Intel's same ARK page.

So I'm wondering, why does this worse performing 4510U cost considerably more than the higher performing 4790K?

A:Question about CPUs

It's a lot harder to make a low voltage CPU that can go up to 3.1 GHz stable.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/63133-question-about-cpus.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I've got an odd setup and an odd puzzle I've looked a and win7, 1, in 2 3, used and out or 2 or?? 4 of 0 CPUs bunch of places online and haven't found the answer or a way I might be able to find the answer I have a quad Opteron CPU box cores total with gb of mem for now 2 out of 4 CPUs used in win7, 0 and 1, or 2 and 3, or?? and I want to put the fast memory on the CPU sockets that are seen by windows and the slower stuff on the sockets that are not seen by windows How can I see what CPU's are being used by win out of the I can boot into server R to get all the CPU goodness but at some point I know that some software will not want to run 2 out of 4 CPUs used in win7, 0 and 1, or 2 and 3, or?? on R but will be ok with win Its a pity I can't find the reg setting for realcpulimit and bump that from to I know that win ultimate can only see physical CPUs sockets and I can live with that the question in my mind is where to go from here to figure out what sockets CPUs win is using Thanks

A:2 out of 4 CPUs used in win7, 0 and 1, or 2 and 3, or??

Quote: Originally Posted by charles3

I know that win7 ultimate can only see 2 physical CPUs/sockets, and I can live with that, the question in my mind is, where to go from here to figure out what 2 sockets/CPUs win7 is using?

Is that?
Here is mine, got win 7 ultimate 64 bit. (
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition)

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/36615-2-out-4-cpus-used-win7-0-1-2-3-a.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I have 2 DELL OPTIPLEX'S GX240 and a gx280 one with 1.5GHZ cpu and the other 2.8GHZ could i put the 2.8 in the one with 1.5?

Relevancy 39.99%

Is there a cheap and easy way to check out CPUs. I have three AMD's that I am not so sure they are giving their all for the team.
I need some direction. Thanks,
Joe D.

Relevancy 39.99%

I'm just wondering if its possible to make a dual AMD 64 system? I've only ever seen Dual Xeon systems.

Its just I'm working on saving about 3000 (5,427 USD) for a new PC for basically everything. I run some very resource intensive software quite a lot of the time and want to be able to still have a functioning PC while its running which is sometimes not possible with my current setup.

I was thinking Dual AMD 64 3800+ would be nice but I have a strange feeling in my head it won't be possible.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Ben

A:Dual CPUs

Oh very possible, pretty sure you can run dual 64's, but maybe only Dual Opertons (amds line of 64bit server cpus). Just make sure these intensive applications you run support dual cpus, the software has to support it, much like software needing to support 64bit in order to run at 64bit.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-cpus.15734/
Relevancy 39.99%

Currently I have an XP 2500+ Barton and I have overclocked to an XP 3200 (FSB bumped up to 200Mhz)

I advertised the computer as an Athlon 3200 and have a buyer. I don't want to secretly give him an OCd 2500 so I am going to do the honorable thing and buy an Athlon 3200 cpu and pop it in there for him.

My question is this. Do I just pop in the new CPU or do I need to change my bios settings back first?

Thanks in advance!

A:Changing CPUs

I dont have anything to say to help you, but plz plz plz get him a 3200 if anything.. dont make me have less faith in humanity I been ripped off on ebay before..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-cpus.30173/
Relevancy 39.99%

I'm looking for a 13-14" laptop with Intel Iris Pro 550, shipped with these CPUs:i5 6267Ui5 6287Ui7 6567U Other specs needed:- NO touch screen- NO hybrid- 8 GB RAM (or 4 GB with a free slot)- display 1920x1080- backlit keyboard

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Which-laptops-have-these-CPUs/td-p/5750419
Relevancy 39.99%

Is there much difference between the T4400 and the T6600?

A:Difference between cpus

One this CPU Benchmark List there isn't really that much difference. How much price difference is there where you can source these parts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/difference-between-cpus.903460/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi

Im about to update my PC with an AMD 5000 XP2 , every thing was going fine then i found out there is a problem with them .. eg loosing performance for some reason and another.. ..stuttery in games etc . This is becoming a real head ache now as i dont know what to do now .. get a Dual core or single core PC .. the highest i can go is a AMD 4000 + but its only like 40 quid or so cheeper then the AMD DC 5000 .
would some one beable to help me please and give me some advice ?

Thanks
Rich

A:Dual Core CPUs

Is this for the computer in your signature or another one? If another one then you need to know what motherboard you have, you need to match the socket of the processor and motherboard and you may need to update the BIOS to support the processor you intend to buy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-core-cpus.595403/
Relevancy 39.56%

I m new to this CPUs Dual-core site and this is my first computer forum This is also my first post I ve just returned to school for my A and Network certs and may go farther maybe even to some MS certification We ll see Oh I m y o so be kind When I first went to school they taught us things like how to make fire ward off evil spirits and protect ourselves from dinosaurs they get mean when they drink So I m hoping to learn a Dual-core CPUs lot here But to my question with both Intel and AMD coming out with dual-core CPUs--at least in prototype form--how soon will that mean anything to regular PC-users like me From what I ve read to utilize the dual-core technology requires completely different software and current programmers have no idea how to write for multiple-core CPUs In the Dual-core CPUs Nov issue of Scientific American they also mentioned that they have no real motivation to learn as the dual-core can t go Dual-core CPUs anywhere without it and they feel rightly so that consumers aren t going to drop all of their expensive software to buy a whole new set that is dual-core compatible It appears there is no way to make the new software backward compatible Have there been any developments in this area that may fix this apparent roadblock or is dual-core really not for us home PC users whatever speed we like to work at nbsp

A:Dual-core CPUs

This AMD dual-core "Egypt" processor is not expected before the second halve of 2005, mobile versions for first halve 2006.

Software will need to be rewritten, using the Whidbey tools that will be part of MS Visual Studio 2005. Sofar there is little interest in doing this.

Until enough software has been adapted, it will still be more efficient to run a fast AMD64 socket-939 on a PCI-Express equipped mobo. You can always later upgrade to dual-core on the same mobo.
There will also be socket-940 versions to replace the Opteron.
AMD says, only a simple BIOS-update will be needed to recognize 2 cores.
HTH

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-core-cpus.20994/
Relevancy 39.56%

i was wondering if a 775 heatsink will work on the core i7 cpus if not can you guys suggest one and where to get it?

A:Will a 775 HSF work on the Core i7 cpus?

You can use a LGA 1366 mounting bracket for some HSFs like the Thermalright bolt-thru kit for their Ultra and Ultima series and the Xigmatek ACK-I7361 Crossbow kit for the HDT-S1283 and other Xigmatek coolers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-a-775-hsf-work-on-the-core-i7-cpus.121076/
Relevancy 39.56%

Perhaps a stupid question, but chalk it up to learning....

Are there drivers for CPUs? I have the Athlon64 3700 (San Diego).

Do I need to install AMD drivers for the CPU or are the standard WindowsXP drivers fine as they are?

A:Are drivers needed for CPUs????

I thought drivers are for teaching the CPU how to work with different hardwares. Is it correct??

cT

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/are-drivers-needed-for-cpus.30802/
Relevancy 39.56%

At a really high level what makes a GPU better at doing certain tasks than a CPU? For example Bitcoin mining and password cracking is better done with video cards and I'm wondering why is there that difference?

A:What is the difference between GPUs and CPUs?

Basically:
CPU : Small number of computation threads being undertaken at high speed (typically 3+GHz).
GPU : Large number of simple computation threads undertaken at a lower speed (typically ~1GHz)

Hashing is a relatively simple computation set and benefits from the higher number of concurrent instances.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-difference-between-gpus-and-cpus.192885/
Relevancy 39.56%

I just picked up a Sony Vaio PCG-F270 with a PII 333Mhz CPU. I've searched all over to see if the CPU can be upgraded but have come up empty so far.

It seems Laptop manufacturers do NOT want you messing around upgrading components like you can a desktop.

Can this laptop's CPU be upgraded ?? If so, where can I find more info on what it can support ??

Relevancy 39.56%

I am considering building a new PC. What I want to know is whether or not a dual cpu system (I am thinking of Tyan Tiger MoBo and 2 Athlon MP 2200's) will be suitable for gaming? A friend said most games don't support dual cpu's, is this true of all games, or just old ones? i.e. Will the likes of half-life 2 support 2 cpu's(obviously I don't expect anyone to know this, I am just wondering whether SMP is becoming commonplace enough for Games manufacturers to start supporting it. Kind of future-proofing in a way). I would appreciate any help anyne could offer on the subject.

P.S. I am also going to buy LOADS of neon lights for my case! I want all the whistles and bells available! How sad am I?!?!?!??

A:Dual CPUs and Gaming?!?!

If this dual CPU system is ONLY for gaming, I would say to opt out and get a single CPU system. Especially if this machine isn't going to be a heavy-load server of some sort.
I know Quake 3 supports SMP, but I'm not sure on other games.

But, I'll leave this question up to the people I know who have experience with SMP...Soul Harvester and LNCPapa....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-cpus-and-gaming.6277/
Relevancy 39.56%

looking at dxdiag what does the 2 cpu's mean? I did want to install 2 monitors on this machine but ony have a plug for 1. the 2 cpus makes me wonder....

A:intel pentium 4 cpu 3.4 ghz (2 cpus)

Most likely referring to a technology called 'Hyperthreading'. Made by Intel, and introduced into some of their P4 processors, Hyperthreading or HT is essentially a 'virtual' dual-core CPU. The way the processor functions is designed to mimic two separate processors inside a single core processor. If your processor has HT, some system diagnostics will report it as 2 processors, when you only have one. Do not confuse HT with the new Core 2 Duo processors by Intel, as these new chips are true dual-core processors.

In order to install two monitors, your video card needs to support multiple monitors. Does your video card have two monitor connectors on it or just one?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/intel-pentium-4-cpu-3-4-ghz-2-cpus.543920/
Relevancy 39.56%

What on is better? Amd CPUs, 130nm or 90nm.

Can some one explain which on is better, 130nm or 90nm?

Also is there any advantage with SEE3?

I read that SSE3 performance gains were gotten by using more stable less leaky capacitors in non critical areas and speed increases by using more leaky capacitors in more critical areas. What does that mean?

Im going to be buying one of these AMD CPUs.............
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16819103496,N82E16819103527
Thanks,
~Da Bob~

Relevancy 39.56%

Hello, I dont mean to spark a mean debate. But I am looking to upgrade my P42.0ghz Intel to this little guy...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533.
What would be a similiar INTEL proc?? I already have an ASROCK 939Dual SATA2(what the hell is SATA anyway??)<---anyone point me to a guide for sata and sata2, raid0, raid1...etc. thats all new to me but since this board supports it I should look into it!! Thanks for your thoughts.