Windows Support Forum

Networking: Media Sharing option turns off

Q: Networking: Media Sharing option turns off

My media sharing option constantly keeps turning off by itself even after I have reset it to share my media on all networked (4) computers and even while watching movies from another computer on my network, I have also enabled media sharing thru Windows media player and it still cuts itself off! can anyone help with this issue??

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Networking: Media Sharing option turns off

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Networking: Media Sharing option turns off

Which version of Windows do you have? Make sure services for media share are enabled.
You might have to

press start key + r at the same time then type: services.msc

Computer Browser (started/manual)

DHCP Client (started/auto)
DNS Client (started/auto)

Function Discovery Resource Publication (started/auto)

start/auto/enable Homegroup Listener
start/auto/enable Homegroup Provider

Network Connections (started/manual)
Network List Service (started/manual)

Peer Name Resolution Protocol (started/manual)
Peer Networking Grouping (started/manual)
Peer Networking Identity Manager (started/manual)

SSDP Discovery (started/manual)

Also check on your system for software that is disabling sharing just our right like cleaners all-in-one does it because in theory suppose to reduce over head.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-media-sharing-option-turns-off.195825/
Relevancy 72.67%

I'm having an issue with my media sharing options in Network and Sharing on all my computers on my network. When I go to network & sharing to turn on media sharing for some reason by itself it gets turn off?? This is frustrating to have to continually reset it on all computers on my network. They all have the same Home Group password, but still it gets turn off somehow. Can anyone Please tell me what am I doing wrong or what the problem is causing this to happen???

A:Media sharing option keeps shutting off by itself

I assume you are talking about Media Player setup. Did you see this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/media-sharing-option-keeps-shutting-off-by-itself.192232/
Relevancy 70.52%

Media player is missing the "Find media that others are sharing" checkbox but the "Share my media" checkbox is there. Any idea's on why it would be missing?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/media-player-11-missing-find-media-that-others-are-sharing-option-330694.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I am trying to establish a household network sharing internet, printer and files.

The players
Main computer desktop XP Pro
Theater PC desktop Vista Premium
Old Laptop XP Pro
New Laptop Vista Home Basic
Linksys G router

I have been able to get the entire community to share the internet. I have gotten printer sharing to work on all but the new Vista laptop. I can not get any of the remote computers to access any files. I can get to the shared files folder on the main computer from the Theater computer but I am denied access when I try to open the shared folder.

Any suggestions on how to work this out?

Thanks

A:Solved: WIFI Networking, Sharing internet works, print sharing is spotty, can't share

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wifi-networking-sharing-internet-works-print-sharing-is-spotty-cant-share.762654/
Relevancy 53.32%

hey eightforum, so file and printer sharing keeps turning itself on even though ive set it to not.

i got microsoft windows 8.1 and microsoft defender.
im not connected to a home network

A:file and printer sharing turns itself on

oh i can se i posted in the wrong forum thread

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/61357-file-printer-sharing-turns-itself.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Basically I can get everything to work in my home network just not all at once Let me explain My tower desktop is running XP sp My wireless laptop is running Vista Sp My is hard wired to router My PS is hard wired to router Printer connected to tower via USB I have had no problems setting up my PS and for online gaming and enabling access to my tower amp s HD media files I amp ve also always had internet on my laptop but I really NEED is my laptop to be able to access my tower Here is the crux of the situation When I turn on Windows Media Player amp s amp Media Sharing amp and ps laptop do all show up it shares the media files BUT it kills my laptop internet access Seems I can get internet back on laptop but never back any file sharing with tower and /Printer HELP & Sharing with Media Sharing ! File never access to my printer anymore Right now the status is wireless laptop DOES have internet and access to all files on Tower and Ps have internet access but not MEDIA access because I have to keep that off What the am I doing wrong Any help would be GREATLY appreciated nbsp

A:HELP with Media Sharing & File /Printer Sharing !

ever thought of using remote access to log onto the tower for internet use and using the ps3 or xbox as storage givin that they a hard wired in yes i have used vista as a media/server as well and know that you cant connect remotly to vista from xp but there a tools tomake this able

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-media-sharing-file-printer-sharing.702788/
Relevancy 53.32%

i m using windows 7. i couldnt join a home group that was already created in win Xp , how can i share with other home computers ?

A:sharing option

Hopefully, this awesome tutorial will help

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rmissions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/95051-sharing-option.html
Relevancy 52.89%

hello first of my computer is a HP - a running windows home on a -bit operating system i feel like a lot of my settings get changed without me doing it file sharing will turn on after being disabled Some times i will be connected to random wifi connections after making it so i cant join any connect some how it still does my bluetooth will turn on and off randomly and im unable to see whos connected end this as when i go into settings the bluetooth section is missing but in the FILE OFF TURNS OWN ON SPYSS SHARING AND ON BLUETOOTH CHANGES ITS notification section it shows as on and connected im currently using AVG PRO but when i do a full system scan percent of the files are locked and cant be scanned and using malwarebytes anti-malware home premium but that doesnt show up with anything ive checked my event FILE SHARING CHANGES ON ITS OWN BLUETOOTH TURNS ON AND OFF SPYSS viewer and i see alot of warnings info and errors but i dont really know what im looking at to tell if thats normal or not any help will greatly be appreciated Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by rhys administrator on RHYS - - Running from C Users rhys Downloads Loaded Profiles rhys Available Profiles rhys Platform Windows Home Version FILE SHARING CHANGES ON ITS OWN BLUETOOTH TURNS ON AND OFF SPYSS X Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Default browser Chrome Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processes Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the process will be closed The file will not be moved C Program Files x AVG Web TuneUp WtuSystemSupport exe Intel Corporation C Windows SysWOW IntelCpHeciSvc exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxCUIService exe Stardock Software Inc C Program Files x Stardock Start Start Srv exe Realtek Semiconductor C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtkAudioService exe C Program Files x Common Files aunhelper aunhelper exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files x Skype Toolbars AutoUpdate SkypeC CAutoUpdateSvc exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Framework Common avgsvca exe Apple Inc C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe Apple Inc C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG AVG PC TuneUp TuneUpUtilitiesService exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Common Files microsoft shared ClickToRun OfficeClickToRun exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgfwsa exe DEVGURU Co LTD C Program Files x Samsung USB Drivers ssconn conn ss conn service exe C Windows SysWOW PnkBstrA exe Malwarebytes C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files x Skype Toolbars PNRSvc SkypeC CPNRSvc exe Malwarebytes C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgwdsvca exe Nanoheal C Program Files Nanoheal Client srvc exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgidsagenta exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgcsrva exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgnsa exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgemca exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgrsa exe Hewlett-Packard Company C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Support Solutions HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components DAL jhi service exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe Hewlett-Packard Company C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows SysWOW svchost exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Security Assist isa exe Stardock Software Inc C Progra... Read more

A:FILE SHARING CHANGES ON ITS OWN BLUETOOTH TURNS ON AND OFF SPYSS

Duplicate post.The topic will be locked,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620385/file-sharing-changes-on-its-own-bluetooth-turns-on-and-off-spyss/
Relevancy 52.89%

hello first of my computer is a FILE TURNS ON AND BLUETOOTH ITS OFF SPYSS ON SHARING OWN CHANGES HP - a running windows home on a -bit operating system i feel like a lot of my settings get FILE SHARING CHANGES ON ITS OWN BLUETOOTH TURNS ON AND OFF SPYSS changed without me doing it file FILE SHARING CHANGES ON ITS OWN BLUETOOTH TURNS ON AND OFF SPYSS sharing will turn on after being disabled Some times i will be connected to random wifi connections after making it so i cant join any connect some how it still does my bluetooth will turn on and off randomly and im unable to see whos connected end this as when i go into settings the bluetooth section is missing but in the notification section it shows as on and connected im currently using AVG PRO but when i do a full system scan percent of the files are locked and cant be scanned and using malwarebytes anti-malware home premium but that doesnt show up with anything ive checked my event viewer and i see alot of warnings info and errors but i dont really know what im looking at to tell if thats normal or not any help will greatly be appreciated Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by rhys administrator on RHYS - - Running from C Users rhys Downloads Loaded Profiles rhys Available Profiles rhys Platform Windows Home Version X Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Default browser Chrome Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processes Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the process will be closed The file will not be moved C Program Files x AVG Web TuneUp WtuSystemSupport exe Intel Corporation C Windows SysWOW IntelCpHeciSvc exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxCUIService exe Stardock Software Inc C Program Files x Stardock Start Start Srv exe Realtek Semiconductor C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtkAudioService exe C Program Files x Common Files aunhelper aunhelper exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files x Skype Toolbars AutoUpdate SkypeC CAutoUpdateSvc exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Framework Common avgsvca exe Apple Inc C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe Apple Inc C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG AVG PC TuneUp TuneUpUtilitiesService exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Common Files microsoft shared ClickToRun OfficeClickToRun exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgfwsa exe DEVGURU Co LTD C Program Files x Samsung USB Drivers ssconn conn ss conn service exe C Windows SysWOW PnkBstrA exe Malwarebytes C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files x Skype Toolbars PNRSvc SkypeC CPNRSvc exe Malwarebytes C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgwdsvca exe Nanoheal C Program Files Nanoheal Client srvc exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgidsagenta exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgcsrva exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgnsa exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgemca exe AVG Technologies CZ s r o C Program Files x AVG Av avgrsa exe Hewlett-Packard Company C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Support Solutions HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components DAL jhi service exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe Hewlett-Packard Company C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe Microsoft Corporation C Windows SysWOW svchost exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Security Assist isa exe Stardock Software Inc C Progra... Read more

A:FILE SHARING CHANGES ON ITS OWN BLUETOOTH TURNS ON AND OFF SPYSS

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Remove this program via the Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features applet.Pokki (HKU\S-1-5-21-2828504138-180632978-2788502435-1001\...\SweetLabs_AP) (Version: 0.269.7.927 - Pokki)===Press the windows key + r on your keyboard at the same time. This will open the RUN BOX.Type Notepad and and click the OK key.Please copy the entire contents of the code box below to the a new file. start

CreateRestorePoint:
EmptyTemp:
CloseProcesses:

(Pokki) C:\Users\rhys__000\AppData\Local\SweetLabs App Platform\Engine\ServiceHostAppUpdater.exe
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %appdata%\spotify\spotifylauncher.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\spotify\spotifycrashservice.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %appdata%\spotify\spotify.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\spotify\spotifylauncher.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\spotify\spotifywebhelper.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\spotify\spotifylauncher.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\spotify\spotifylauncher.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %appdata%\spotify\spotifywebhelper.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\spotify\spotifywebhelper.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\spotify\spotify.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\spotify\spotify.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\spotify\wow_helper.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\spotify\spotifycrashservice.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\spotify\spotifycrashservice.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %appdata%\spotify\wow_helper.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\spotify\spotify.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %appdata%\spotify\spotifycrashservice.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\spotify\wow_helper.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\spotify\wow_helper.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM Group Policy restriction on software: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\spotify\spotifywebhelper.exe <====== ATTENTION
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore: [DisableSR/DisableConfig] <===== ATTENTION
HKU\S-1-5-21-2828504138-180632978-2788502435-1001\...\RunOnce: [Application Restart #4] => C:\Users\rhys__000\AppData\Local\SweetLabs App Platform\Engine\ServiceHostApp.exe [7874024 2016-04-14] (Pokki)
HKU\S-1-5-21-2828504138-180632978-2788502435-1001\...\Winlogon: [Shell] - <==== ATTENTION
BHO-x32: Norton Vulnerability Protection -> {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} -> No File
FF Plugin-x32: @avg.com/AVG SiteSafety plugin,version=11.0.0.1,application/x-avg-sitesafety-plugin -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AVG Secure Search\SiteSafetyInstaller\40.3.1\\npsitesafety.dll [No File]
CHR HomePage: Default -> mysearch.avg.com/?rvt=1
CHR DefaultSearchURL: Default -> hxxps://mysearch.avg.com/search?rvt=1&sap=dsp&q={searchTerms}
CHR DefaultSearch... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620386/file-sharing-changes-on-its-own-bluetooth-turns-on-and-off-spyss/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello everyone,

I recently installed windows XP with SP2 on a new computer I bought. I'm trying to set up a wireless internet connection on the machine, but there is no option for wireless networking. Take a look at the screen shot below:
Under the LAN or High Speed Internet, there are two options, in the example above, you'll see the mouse is hovering over the "wireless network connection" icon.

The problem I'm having, is there is no icon for wireless network connection, there's just the one icon for a wired connection, which is not available on this computer.

I've set up wireless networks before on other machines, but this is the first time I've seen a wireless setup wizard not include the NETWORK CONNECTIONS box.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Relevancy 52.46%

Hello,first time here.

I use win xp SP3.I have been trying to reverse tether my LAN connection from pc to android phone for few days.But even after everything connected ,the internet doesn't load up in my cell.I searched few videos,articles and figured out the problem..strangely my LAN network settings don't have any option for sharing.It is just not there in properties.Due to which I can't share my LAN connection to "New local connection " ( of android - which appears after i try to tether android ) ..Its problem with network adapters I believe.Here are screenshots .

Any help ?

A:No Internet sharing Option.

For ICS you need a second "real" connection, generally ethernet or Wi-Fi.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-internet-sharing-option.1086074/
Relevancy 52.46%

Well, I'm not sure what to do here. Up until a few days ago I was sharing my media with all computers on my network on my wireless router.

Now when I log into windows and open WMP 11 it says that I am no longer sharing media, would you like to turn on sharing? So I say yes and confirm to share my media to all devices on my network, mainly my PS3.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it (well it actually just reverted back). I also checked to make sure that Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is set to automatic in Admin tools. And also checked windows firewall that it allows the service.

So I am at a loss here, I don't know how to get my media sharing capabilites back. I know its not my PS3, as I am sharing media from my laptop right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks High

A:Solved: Windows Media Player 11 Media Sharing Problems

Sonnyboy quote:
PS3 and Vista Sharing Sorted
Found it. Disabled IPSEC Services and rebooted my router and hey presto media sharing in vista with PS3. Although I had disabled this before and restarted my computer I had not rebooted the router (ie turned it off and on again). This was the important thing on my set up and I missed it.

Funny thing is IPSEC Services do not have to be disabled in XP.

Hope this helps someone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This actually worked for my Windows XP, I am now able to share, but is this a safe thing to have turned off?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-media-player-11-media-sharing-problems.913474/
Relevancy 52.46%

Every since January th of this year I have been trying to fix a very annoying issue with windows media player How It Started Back in January my dad's computer constantly kept freezing over and over due to him having way to many podcast on his computer I'm the only one who knew how to fix it from crashing and so I tried to delete some of the memory off the computer however when the memory was low I noticed sharing turn Windows refuses Player media Media on to that a few programs including media player were not functioning correctly I was able to fix them but then I noticed that media player's entire library was missing which Windows Media Player refuses to turn on media sharing made me think if I restarted the computer it would fix it Sadly it didn't but I was able to find tutorials on how to restore the library back to MP but the thing is before I attempted that I went into media player with administrator on in hopes it Windows Media Player refuses to turn on media sharing would make a change Of course it didn't Windows Media Player refuses to turn on media sharing but now there's a issue that I face and I keep running into dead ends Every single time I try to turn on media sharing in the WMP library when I check both options and then click ok it doesn't do anything No matter how many times I try to press it nothing happens and also what I find strange is that the ok button has a administrator prompt shield on it now Kind of like it's trying to ask for permission but fails before it can do that The solutions I have tried I have tried dozens of solutions and yet none of them fix the issue I tried using regedit exe and tried fixing it's registry but that didn't do anything I tried fully resetting WMP entirely but that doesn't work either nor does using service msc The only lead I have that something may be broken is that when I looked inside service WMP Network Sharing Service cannot startup At this point I'm pretty burned out of ideas and nbsp this may be the most confusing bug I've ever faced And now since Media sharing doesn't work I can't stream music to my xbox If you somehow know the solution please tell me

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/37f4b55e-489f-42f5-8b58-c02afe728b38/windows-media-player-refuses-to-turn-on-media-sharing?forum=itprovistaapps
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello all,

I have my main media desktop in the living room setup to share the meda on the "E:" drive. On my Windows 7 laptop using WMP12 i am able to find the shared media library and access for playback. However I am having a difficult time trying to do the same on my other desktop in my room running XP WMP11. I cant seem to find out how to stream the media files from the living room desktop via the WMP11? is this even possible, or is there a software i could use to do this if WMP11 does not support it? i tried XBMC but i keep receiving playback error. I wish there was a WMP12 for XP to make things easier but unfortunately there isnt

please help..

thank [email protected]

A:Windows Media Player 11 - Stream videos from media sharing??

Try using K-lite mega codecs

http://free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm
OR

VLC

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-media-player-11-stream-videos-from-media-sharing.958591/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi I have a problem I have a PC and a Laptop My PC is Win and my Laptop is XP I want to be able to share a dial-up connection with the two and I want to know which networking option would be better As far as I know I could use a to chose! which know networking Help! option Dont parallel cable to connect the two a USB cable or an Ethernet cable I dont have an Ethernet Card on my Win PC and I think those are expensive so I probably wont be using that Is there another way I could do this Maybe using my modem to connect the two They both have dial-up modems Which one is better for my situation and which one costs less Is there another Networking option that I dont know about that doesnt require me to buy expensive hardware Will the transfer rate be faster on one option or will the speeds be comparable Please give me some info so I can make an Help! Dont know which networking option to chose! informed decision Help! Dont know which networking option to chose! JR nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

I have Vista Home Premium and am trying to run "TVersity Media Server" to share videos to my XBOX 360. From the help screens for the application, I noticed that Windows Media Sharing must be disabled, or the 360 will not see TVersity server at all. I have Windows Media Center (included with Vista Premium). I believe I have found the option to disable sharing in "Network and Sharing Center". However, the "CHANGE" button doesn't do anything! I can click it, but it doesn't do anything! Any ideas? This is pretty much a clean install of Vista. Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-media-center-how-to-disable-media-sharing.772742/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey everyone,

I am having troubles sharing my Windows Media Player 11 library on my Vista machine with my Windows XP computer.

Both players are sharing media the same way and automatically allowing new devices to connect.

My roommates computer see's both libraries as well as my Vista Computer. The XP machine does not see the shared library.

I have Trend Micro PC Cillin on my Vista machine. It is connected by cat5 to a Linksys Wireless router in gateway mode.

On my XP machine i have AVG antivirus with no firewall installed. It is connect to the Linksys wirelessly - bu so is my roomates laptop.

On both machines i have the latest .net framwork installed and on the xp machine i installed windows media connect.

I cant figure it out, i think it is a software problem and not a physical network problem.

any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-media-player-11-media-sharing-vista-to-xp.690038/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi Guys I have OS Vista home premium and service pack on my PC in switch will media not on Media the sharing centre and network which is connected by cable to my internet router This router is connected by wifi to a router extender The router extender is connected by a LAN cable to my new plasma TV I cannot get my PC to share media when I tick the box in the media and networking centre in spite of the fact that the PC network Media sharing will not switch on in the network and media centre map detects the TV The TV does not detect a server but does show all the right IP addresses etc so can receive data I know my network works because if I connect the router extender to the amplifier instead I get internet radio I also have an internet radio squeeze box working in the kitchen which is connected by wifi to the router extender and that works too Both the squeeze box and the TV are detected in the PC media centre but I cannot share data from the PC with the TV The plasma TV icon stays at the bottom of the network map What can I do to watch films etc on my TV from the PC thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/286787-media-sharing-will-not-switch-network-media-centre.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Don't know why suddenly my N.T 4 Server Sharing Option Suddenly disappear for few hours, and the Event Viewer shows that " The System unable to allocate system nonpaged pool. Pool is empty." and after i restart it, it goes normally again! Is there any problems?

(P.S) All patch is updated

THx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/n-t-4-server-sharing-option-disappear.305786/
Relevancy 52.03%

If I go to windows explorer, click tools, folder options, view, there is no option for turning on, or off simple file sharing. I already tried the system services turn on ,and that didn't help it was already started. I want to share my program files with my laptop on my lan, so I need this setting.
windows xp sp2

A:no option for simple file sharing

Simple File Sharing (from what I know) cannot be turned off in XP home. It's a problem which annoys me just as much, since Simple File Sharing is hardly simple.

Wait for more knowledgable users to respond, though. There's probably some workaround out there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-option-for-simple-file-sharing.500714/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have three desktops networked two in office and one my Son s plus two laptops - all running XP Home On the desktops I have sharing enabled for each of the drives No on each which gives me full access between them - no problems Similarly no access problems with option & drives security' No for 'sharing my Son s laptop My laptop can also fully access the others but it does not give me the quot sharing and security quot menu option No 'sharing & security' option for drives for the drives themselves - only for the directories within them So to access my laptop I have to enable sharing for each of the individual root directories which gives me a horendous number of Network Places There are no access restrictions set up and the fact that I can access the individual shared directories on my laptop indicates that there is no configuration problem I installed XP on two desktops - the installation on the third and on the two laptops is as the manufacturers - all have Service pack update Does anyone have any idea as to how I can enable the sharing option for the drives themselves nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-sharing-security-option-for-drives.280359/
Relevancy 51.6%

need some advice:

I'm not able to network vista home with two xp machines. If I upgrade to vista business will that allow all the computer to be in the same workgroup, and share files and printers?

A:vista upgrade option to resolve networking

When you say they won't network what does that entail? I don't see any reason that you would need to upgrade Vista simply to share files and printers. Try pinging the vista machine from the xp machines. Also, try turning off the firewall on the vista machine (just temporarily) and then try connecting from the XP machines, because it could just be that an exception has not been created for file sharing yet. Also, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to change your workgroup on the vista machine to that of the XP machines.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-upgrade-option-to-resolve-networking.649903/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello!
iam on updated windows 8 (come from win 7) and today i found something strange when i right-click on foulder.
under the @stop [email protected] buttomn there are is strange combination of letters:

sorry for rus-interface
what is this ? and how to delete it(

i used
fsmgmt.msc command
and all hard drives and foulders has "$" so i sharing nothing?

please help(

A:strange sharing option, when R-click on folder

okey. i used lusrmgr.msc
and see all acount this strange acc was created by digidesign software.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/70875-strange-sharing-option-when-r-click-folder.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey all,

If I disable the windows firewall, I am able to turn on file sharing and network discovery. However, if I turn the firewall on, every time I try to enable file sharing and network discovery, they wont turn on..

I tried to go into the firewall settings and enable file sharing but it's not an option that's available?

Windows 7 has been one problem after another when trying to do anything that involves networking/sharing..

Thanks,

-TheChad

A:No Option to enable file sharing in firewall?

Quote: Originally Posted by ThaChad

Hey all,

If I disable the windows firewall, I am able to turn on file sharing and network discovery. However, if I turn the firewall on, every time I try to enable file sharing and network discovery, they wont turn on..

I tried to go into the firewall settings and enable file sharing but it's not an option that's available?

Windows 7 has been one problem after another when trying to do anything that involves networking/sharing..

Thanks,

-TheChad

If network discovery isn't staying on then you have a bigger problem than just enabling sharing which is done through the Advanced Network Settings at the Network and Sharing Center.

This problem has come up many times and is typically fixable by repairing the base filtering engine which is the actual cause of the problem with network discovery not staying on.

The following link shows you how to fix this problem.

I receive the message that my ESET installation ended prematurely - ESET Knowledgebase

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/307754-no-option-enable-file-sharing-firewall.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi there HELP Please excuse me this Sharing Option for folder Windows Can't See 2000 is my first try at this and I am a novice at networking I set up a shared internet connection at home cable modem wireless router connected to via cable to a desktop running Windows and wireless connection on a laptop running Windows XP On the laptop XP I was able to share a folder on the network On the desktop W K I right click on the folder drive I want to share and the quot Sharing quot option is not present I went to the Can't See Sharing Option for folder Windows 2000 Network and Dial-Up Connections Folder and located my network I verified that the quot File and Printer Sharing for Microsft Networks quot was present and checked Shouldn t that do it Shuldn t I be able to see the quot Sharing quot option Is there something I am missing Please help I don t want to do anything extravagant - just share folder from my W K desktop to the XP laptop Thanks in advance for your help nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I recently reformatted my Toshiba Satellite A100 Laptop with the Windows XP cd, I reinstalled all the drivers (or what I think is all of them), and everything is working how its supposed to, except for one thing. In my network connection properties, under the advanced tab, before I reformatted my computer I had an option to share my internet connection. However, after the reformat, the option is not available to me. At first I was told to download service pack 2, however I had already downloaded service pack 3,thus it would not allow me to install service pack 2 on top of it. Is that my problem? If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 51.17%

I am using kaspersky internet suite and disabled windows firewall. The problem is that turning the windows firewall off turns the pulic/home file/printer sharing and network discovery on.

Turning on or off these settings starts the firewall.

Disabling the firewall service permanently allows file sharing and network discovery for both public and home network,which cannot be turned off.

I tried uninstalling kasperksky but nothing has changed.

Is this how windows works? or is it just my machine?

A:Turning off windows firewall turns on file sharing & network discovery

I have the exact problem. I have tried with cmd in admin mode the "netsh advfirewall set AllProfiles state off" command but it didn't change anything, same behaviour. I have unchecked the file and printer sharing in local area and wireless properties.

Have you found a solution to it until now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/114041-turning-off-windows-firewall-turns-file-sharing-network-discovery.html
Relevancy 51.17%

hey guys i need some help with windows media player 11. every time I try to media share or click on media sharing from the dropbar library. it will just lock up and make a noise, and then will let me click OK again when ive clicked on it like a million times! -__-
when frozen: http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/shadowking_00/help-1.jpg

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3061 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238464 MB, Free - 183501 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U990C, , .3XQYYG1.CN7016692I066O.
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-media-player-11-help-media-sharing.992024/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello,

I have a home computer network between two computers. I would like to share my media from Windows Media Player 11 with my other computer. The music that I would like to share is the main computer that has the router and all connected to it. I know that under the options in Media Player, under the library tab there is a configure sharing button. I click that, check the "share my media to:" but my other computer connected to the network is not listed. Is there something I have to do with firewall on either computer? Please help.

Thanks.

Relevancy 51.17%

I am using XP and have been trying to get my media to share to my xbox 360 and at first the system said I had an ip address issue, even though I could connect to the internet. Now however, it won't find the pc. Upon going to Window Media Player's library/media sharing section, I am prompted with this message: Media sharing has been turned off because a required Windows setting or component has changed. I have tried all of the obvious quick fixes and nothing works, does anyone have any suggestions as Microsoft is less than helpful telling me something, somewhere has changed? Thank you.

A:Windows Media Player won't allow media sharing

I have also checked in the C:/documents/username/applicationdata/microsoft/media player to delete the files like so many have suggested, but there is nothing inside.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-media-player-wont-allow-media-sharing-267901.html
Relevancy 51.17%

hi,

I'm trying to share my windows media player library that is on my win 7 pc with my xp laptop.

I can navigate from my laptop to folders on my win 7 pc and play files that way but I'm trying to get the library option working.

Both computers are in the same workgroup and are both visable in the same workgroup from my xp laptop. However if I go into network on my win7 pc I can see the laptop in the computer section but not in the media device section.

When i then go into the sharing options on the win7 windows media player i can not see the xp laptop so I can't allow sharing.

I guess the problem is that my xp laptop is only showing up as a computer and not a media device? anyone know why this is?

I have turned of my firewall to check that and it has no effect.

thanks

A:media sharing in windows media player 11

You can't share Library's with any computer other than Windows 7. Library sharing can only work if all the machines in the LAN are Windows 7. Although you should be able to stream and share your music using Workgroups.

You should be able to share the WMP files by making these adjustments. Click on more media options to allow for media sharing with your XP machine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/53880-media-sharing-windows-media-player-11-a.html
Relevancy 50.74%

It will not let me bridge and it doesnt give me the sharing option on windows 7. I am trying to use my computer as a wireless access point for my xbox 360 like other people are doing but it wont let me do it.

A:It will not let me bridge and it doesnt give me the sharing option on windows 7

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/it-will-not-let-me-bridge-and-it-doesnt-give-me-the-sharing-option-on-windows-7.949343/
Relevancy 50.31%

I was wondering if it is possible to programmatically change the Advanced Sharing -> Homegroup connections option? I would like to run a script to set it to "Use User account and passwords to connect to other computers".
I have looked around at different registry settings and the group policy editor and haven't found it yet.
Appreciate the input. Much thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3eea09b-1fb5-4f7c-ba47-d6a5b16d6beb/change-advanced-sharing-gt-homegroup-connections-option-programmatically?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, I need assistance with connecting my printer (Canon MF8170c) to my wireless laptop (Dell Inspiron 9300), which is in another room. Currently, I have been running back and forth just to print...very annoying and time consuming. I am using wireless internet (WiFi) to browse the web. What do I need to purchase and how do I setup? Thanks.

Relevancy 49.88%

my network and sharing center doesnt show in the taskbar and it's anoying me.
i've checked all settings in the start up and menu tabs but can not get it to show

Attaching an image to show you.
Any ideas?

Any ideas?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/225465-networking-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 49.88%

i just got a new vista laptop today and am thinking of a way to transfer around 20 gigs of pictures, music, etc. In xp I moved over all my stuff into the shared folder, but am trying to figure out how to access it all from my vista machine. I went in to add a network, but it only wants to add a poppee or w/e network where I need to log in. How exactly do i set it up so I can access my shares? In vista i simply add a workgroup? I connect from my dsl modem through ethernet over powerline thing into a hub which is here in my room with my laptop. I spent $100+ on the ethernet over powerline stuff. Any help appreciated.

A:vista / xp networking sharing

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-xp-networking-sharing.591221/
Relevancy 49.88%

Howdy, I have two computers connected to a Linksys router. Both are wired. They are both running Win XP Pro SP2 with Norton Internet Security 2006. I want to set up file and printer sharing between the two computers. I have run the wizard that comes with Windows but it is not working. The first computer will recognize the second, but not the other way around. Could someone please walk me through step by step what I need to do in dumbed down terms please? I would really appreciate any help! Thanks!

Relevancy 49.88%

at work we have a wireless dsl connection. the host computer is the only one that
can connect to the internet as they purposely blocked all of ours from being able
access the internet. how do i change their configurations so that my computer can
get on?

A:networking and internet sharing

Sorry, we do not condone "hacking" of any kind on this board..

If a system administrator purposely blocked you from accessing the Internet, there must be a reason why??? You'll need to talk to that administrator to access the Internet "legally"....

Hope you find a safe solution...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-and-internet-sharing.466628/
Relevancy 49.88%

hi i am trying to shair my dial up internet connection and the compter that is sharing it is 98se i would like a program that will shair it with out disabling my network connection to it but i would not minde putting it in the internet port on my rouder and then switching it back to vnc it. is there a program that i could use to shair the internet. because all of the ons that i have disable the network on me so there is no vnc connection to it because i do not have a monitor for it.

A:Internet sharing over networking

Internet Connection sharing is built into Windows. Use that. Of course, broadband and a router is always the best way to go. If you decide the use ICS, then one machine will be the host and that machine will have to be on for the other machine to connect to the Internet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-sharing-over-networking.436475/
Relevancy 49.88%

I'm on a home network with several Pro - XP Networking/file-sharing Win 7 Win XP machines all seeing each other and sharing files amp printers Just added a Win Networking/file-sharing Win 7 - XP Pro Ultimate machine to the mix Win machine sees all the XP systems and their shared drives just fine On the Win machine I've shared both its C boot drive and the D data drive Under Advanced Sharing quot Share this folder quot is checked and the Permissions give quot Everyone quot Full Control Change Read allowances In Network amp Sharing Center gt Change Advanced Sharing Settings Network Discovery amp File and printer sharing amp Public Folder Sharing are all turned ON and Password Protected Sharing is turned off This is both under Home and Work and under Public Yet when I click on the Win shared drive letter in the XP machine in Network Places I get Tim-pc C is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact administrator Everyone is logged in as an administrator and you'd think with all of the above settings Windows would get the idea that I want to share these drives All systems are on the same workgroup named quot WORKGROUP quot and there are no user accounts requiring passwords Interestingly if I go in the Win machine and separately share folders within the C and D drive and add quot Everyone quot to the Permissions with Read Write allowances etc this does get shared Am I supposed to do this for every folder on my drives I just want to share the root directory with all its contents so I can then map that network drive in Win XP - the way I've been doing for years Haven't had this much trouble networking Windows systems since back in the pre-Win days Thanks for any help Tim Martyn

A:Networking/file-sharing Win 7 - XP Pro

Info from Microsoft on Windows 7 & XP file sharing -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ons-of-Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...rinter-sharing
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...s-with-someone
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ing-essentials
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...inter-problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...hare-a-printer
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...inter-problems

From How to Geek -

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/networking-file-sharing-win-7-xp-pro-534681.html
Relevancy 49.88%

We have one desktop and two laptops other than my desktop on the network, two are xp, one is Vista and mine Windows 7.
Networking is setup and running very well, because my pc is much bigger with a lot more storage than the others a couple have folders on a partition on my pc which they can store stuff, works well to
The question is, using my pc as A and the others B, C, D, how can I set it up so if PC C has a folder on my PC, that folder is not accessible by B & D
Any help appreciated

A:networking / sharing question

Hi
Have a look at this SF Tutorial (especially the folder sharing settings) - File Sharing - Between XP and W7 (and vice versa)
Hope this helps in some way
Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/119840-networking-sharing-question.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I,ve recently set up a home network.
I noted when one pc is shut down that the network connection is disabled between the host and the pc that was shut down and vise versa.

Is it possible to share files on the network with the pc that is shut down?

A:Networking - sharing files

No----how are you going to access anything on a computer that is shut down?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-sharing-files.449728/
Relevancy 49.88%

I just recently got my sharing DSL networking stuff working. The computer with the router is a Windows 2000. The other one with just a NIC is a Windows 98.

What I want to do is be able to use Microsoft Word on my Windows 2000. However, only my Windows 98 computer has it. How would I connect to my C:\ drive from my Windows 2000 to Windows 98 so I can use the program?

A:Networking: Sharing programs

Ok, an even more newbie question. How do I share folders?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-sharing-programs.13711/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi
I just networked my desktop computer to my wireless laptop. I finally see files on my desktop computer from the laptop. My question is if it is possible to run a program that is installed on my desktop from my laptop? Just curious and would appreciate any advice.
thanks Cindy

A:Networking and sharing a program

Depends on the program. Most of the prorgams you will encounter will only run on the machine that hosts the files and registry entries. Every now and then you will find a program that will run regardless of where it's installed originally.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-and-sharing-a-program.420566/
Relevancy 49.88%

I know the answer is out there but i dont know where to start looking or what to ask for first and what I ve found so far has just made me more frustrated so I hope someone can advise please I have Networking Sharing / File a Hewlett Packard Inspiron desktop PC wired to broadband via linsys gateway - all works well - just bought a laptop Compaq and it too works OK and has a working wireless internet connection via the linksys gateway - I just cannot get my head around how to share files from my HP base unit to the laptop and vice versa - everywhere I look I find info on setting up a network but when I did I lost my internet link from Networking / File Sharing lap to base and had to call support in linksys Twice - but they were very helpful On my network conections on the base unit I have Lan or high speed internet connection showing as Networking / File Sharing connected via my ethernet link to the linksys On the laptop is Internet gateway showing internet connection as connected and Lan or high speed internet connection showing as connected firewalled via broadcom b g w lan A helpful link or advice on where start with regards trying to view my files would be absolutey appreciated -thanks nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

Thanks Networking 11 and issues with Sharing WMP in advance for any help with my problems I have AT amp T DSL with a Wire HG-B Gateway I am trying to share files using Windows Media Player between laptops both Dell Inspiron and an Xbox I am running Mcafee Security Center on both laptops When I have WMP search for our laptops they cannot find each other but they can both find the Xbox When I use the Xbox to try to find the laptops it can't find either of them I have media sharing turned on on both laptops I have even gone as far as completely removing Mcafee from both pc's with no luck Also when I map the network the laptops and xbox all show up The Xbox has four green bars like cell phone service beside it the laptop doesn't have anything I have tried everything I can think Networking and Sharing issues with WMP 11 of Please someone help before I just throw everything in the garbage and light Networking and Sharing issues with WMP 11 it on fire -

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/261725-networking-sharing-issues-wmp-11-a.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi everyone. I'm having a problem with my laptop, I used to be able to share my internet when I created a wireless ad-hoc network. (I used this network to connect my mobile phone via WIFI and use my laptop's internet on the phone) Unfortunately I've only manage to do that the first 2 days, after that when I try to create a ad-hoc wireless network, it doesn't show the option "Internet Sharing" any more.
I had to make it work again, so I've restored the PC to a previous date. And it worked, but only for the first 2 days again.
Does anybody have a clue why the "Internet Sharing" option disappears from the network creation manager, after a while????
Thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-view-internet-sharing-option-when-creating-ad-hoc-wireless-connection.841223/
Relevancy 49.45%

I have 2 vista pc's that are networked together. I have QuickBooks on both machines. What I want to do is open a file in QuickBooks through my network, but the system tells me that I do not have permission to do this. This also happens when I try to open a doc file through the network. Do you have to change the ownership of the file to do be able to open in through the network.
To make it simple:
Pc1 has Quickbooks
Pc1 has Quickbook
Pc1 and Pc2 are networked together and they can see each other.
A quickbook file is on Pc1 and I am on Pc2. I want to open the file on PC2 but I get a permission problem and it will not let me open it.
How can I access the file that is on PC! on PC2?

A:Networking 2 vista pc and sharing files

Hi pchousecalls

Sounds like you could use a few Vista networking tutorials --- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb878110.aspx --- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx ---

You have to make sure you have the right network types setup, Network Discovery and File & Printer Sharing enabled, and the correct permissions setup with the users allowed entered on all the networked PCs to which you wish to grant access.

It's all in the tutorials.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/networking-2-vista-pc-and-sharing-files-202677.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello Im trying to network my computers so I can transfer files from one computer to another I have always had trouble doing this and was a real pain to get this to work the first time I did it I just recently bought a computer for my brother as a christmas present but Im Multiple Sharing PC's Networking File for using it to backup some old files I had on a old Networking Multiple PC's for File Sharing harddrive I am trying Networking Multiple PC's for File Sharing to add it to my network so I can transfer the backed up files to my computer The trouble is I cant get my computers to see my brothers computer But a few times while messing around I was able to get my brothers computer to see my computers however it wouldnt allow me to access them Can someone please help me figure this out Id really like to transfer the files soon that way I can get the files off my brothers computer and get the computer all wrapped up for christmas so he dosnt see the computer Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

Okay I m new here so I guess I ll just explain Sharing Internet & Networking Wireless my Wireless Networking & Internet Sharing problem and see if anyone can help me I have just moved into a shared University house with my pals and we re all a bit ditzy as far as technology is concerned We ordered mb cable which was installed a couple of days ago and I set it up on my PC using a Belkin G MIMO Wireless Router I can get online obviously using my lan Wireless Networking & Internet Sharing connection however if any of us try to connect using wireless via the available wireless screen our connection appears and we can connect to it but we never receive any packets The systems tray icon tells us we re connected and the strength is excellent etc etc but no real progress after that If anyone has any ideas or would like me to go into more detail I would have but I m not sure what is relevant please please reply Thank you so much nbsp

A:Wireless Networking & Internet Sharing

Start by making sure encryption is disabled on the router to get it working, then add that in as a second step.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-networking-internet-sharing.510637/
Relevancy 49.45%

I think I'm in the right area.
I noticed when I open my network, I see an option "advanced sharing". I see many parms. that can be changed. Does this mean if something is set wrong in this area, others can see my computer, or is it just for my computer and network? I'm a little confused on what setting should be "checked" to protect the computer, or make my computer run better.
I see such things as sharing printer, or folders, what does that actually mean? Just a concern. Thanks

Relevancy 49.45%

Basically I've had everything running perfectly so I know this will work it's just a matter of how I have a laptop lenovo thinkpad running XP SP that not too long ago literally less than weeks had a G Internet Stick in one of it's USB ports that I connected internet through that via the ICS tool into a router TP-Link and via wireless for one and ethernet for two xbox's It seems a little long winded but it worked perfectly for the required time until our household was graced with a more permanent internet solution As a mother I don't have a lot of money to spend on myself so to save a few extra dollars when our household was recently graced with a cheaper sturdier ADSL connection I decided to do the same thing Now we have a modem router Netgear in the kitchen that wirelessly transmits the interwebs through the air and into the wireless port on the very same lenovo I mentioned earlier Now I was hoping to be able to use the ICS tool again and pull the internet from the wireless please Networking Sharing Internet and help Connection through the lenovo onto the router TP-Link and into the two ethernet xbox's Now this is where the problems begin I can successfully create the network between the xbox router Tp-Link and the lenovo via an ethernet cable But even after having selected the quot share internet quot options and even adjusting the 'settings' in the same tab from the internet connections option I can't seem to get the internet to work Which is very frustrating given that xbox Live subscriptions aren't terribly cheap and the subscriptions of three Internet Connection Sharing and Networking please help people are going to waste due to this stupid little issue Anyway so I run the quot test xbox live connections quot the test between the xbox and the network come back successful but when it comes to connecting to the internet it always fails it Internet Connection Sharing and Networking please help keeps complaining about the DNS but won't actually tell me what is wrong which makes it difficult to fix all it says is quot there seems to be a problem with your DNS quot and that's it A quick google alright about ten hours of various IT forums and even tech support from TP-Link Microsoft which my call never got through an IT friend AND Netgear and the ISP nothing has been able to yield answers So I ask thee all those who may help Please send me your suggestions I will try everything even if I have done it before Just make sure they are step by step instructions as my brain has fried over trying to fix the issue I'm happy to provide any more information if anyone needs it Thanks so much in advance especially just for reading the issue Now excuse me while i go hit my head against something hard

A:Internet Connection Sharing and Networking please help

Follow this link to share the wireless internet connection that the laptop uses. Think of the xbox consoles and tplink router as client computers and the laptop as the host computer How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/internet-connection-sharing-and-networking-please-help-644601.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have 2 computers sharing a Netgear 4 port wired router using the internet very successfuly. I did have them networked to each other as well, but I got a new computer and of course lost the settings. As I didn't set it up, I cannot for the life of me work out how to do it. I know it was not very hard to do.I am using XP PRO. Of course I have LAN connections.

Relevancy 49.45%

actually have two questions I have a home network using a linksys wirelessG router WRT GS I would like to know how I can share a printer with all my computers on the network It seems what I have read some say this others say do that Any help IE Wireless and sharing networking print step by step One of my neighbors have no idea which one must also have a wireless network I can see their network and even connect to it sometimes I have mine set up first not sure why I connect to theirs sometimes I guess they didn t set up any security I get frustated when it connects to thier network how can I stop this from happening Thanks OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version Service Pack Build OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Gateway Processor x Family Model Stepping GenuineIntel Mhz BIOS Version Date Intel Corp GB A A P Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot xpsp sp rtm - quot Total Physical Memory MB Available Physical Memory MB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys nbsp

A:Wireless networking and print sharing

To share a printer, just go to the Control Panel > Printers & Faxes > right click on printer and share. Assuming all the PC's are on the same workgroup or domain the other computers will be able to print to it. To connect the other computers to the printer, go to Control Panel > Printers & Faxes > Right click and hit Add Printer > Next > Choose the network printer option and choose the find printer option and hit next to search for it, it should find it. Voila, print away

In the wireless properties you should be able to set which network to connect to.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-networking-and-print-sharing.396105/
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a brand new Alienware desktop with Win home Hooked to it is a netgear router Upstairs I have a -yr old Dell Studio running Win Pro I have designated shared folders on each computer When I open the Network library on each computer both machines show up I can look into the Studio and grab files from shared folders but not the other way around I get an error message saying I need administrator permission Both machines show the same password for the network but I have disabled password required network sharing This has to be simple I need to be able to swap files back and forth between them and could do so freely and simply when I had an older XP machine downstairs I am the owner of both machines and the only one using them I have no trouble getting on the internet from the Studio upstairs Help would be much appreciated I see some similar threads have come up below I will look a these

A:networking and sharing between two computers issue

Quote: Originally Posted by Ridgerunner

I have a brand new Alienware desktop with Win7 home. Hooked to it is a netgear router. Upstairs I have a 2-yr old Dell Studio 15 running Win7 Pro. I have designated shared folders on each computer. When I open the Network library? on each computer both machines show up. I can look into the Studio and grab files from shared folders but not the other way around; I get an error message saying I need administrator permission. Both machines show the same password for the network but I have disabled password required network sharing. This has to be simple. I need to be able to swap files back and forth between them and could do so freely and simply when I had an older XP machine downstairs. I am the owner of both machines and the only one using them. I have no trouble getting on the internet from the Studio upstairs.

Help would be much appreciated. I see some similar threads have come up below. I will look a these...

You didn't mention if you set up a Homegroup between those two Windows 7 machines or not?

Setting up a Homegroup would ease up the file restrictions although you still need to ensure that the C:>Users folder is shared out with Everyone through the Sharing tab.

Homegroup - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/282759-networking-sharing-between-two-computers-issue.html
Relevancy 49.45%

File sharing is fubar only internet works and I am tried of trying to get files to sync, so what can I do short of a subscription ala gotomypc?

A:file sharing without windows networking

You could use "sneaker net" like we did back in the DOS days. Copy files to a USB thumb drive (we used floppy disks) and transfer them to whatever other systems you wish.

However, since you say internet is working you could use something like DropBox to share files among a number of computers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/350683-file-sharing-without-windows-networking.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi guys I am tearing my hair out hope someone can help sharing/networking Internet mad! me driving me I share our cable broadband connection between mac Internet sharing/networking driving me mad! minis I was origianlly using an ethernet switch but used to lose the connection regularly on one mac when the other was put to sleep or restarted I was then advised to get a router which I did After a lot of trouble we got it working lost the connection to mac or the other a few times and then it just stopped working all together and we couldn t get the macs connected again We went back to the switch but as usual it stopped working for mac when the other restated and now no matter what we do we can t get both macs connected it s either one or the other We have messed around with the settings and manually put them back to what they were when it worked to no avail Can anyone help please Even if it s just some advice about what numbers our IP addresses router addresses and subnet masks should be set at Many Thanks Polkadot nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

I have hamachi running on a computer running xp professional at home. I want to be able to access the files from my laptop. I am able to access the files from another machine on the network...so there must be something wrong with the machine I'm trying to connect with.

They are able to connect (rdc and ping work) and both part of the same workgroup, but the network shares I have on the xp professional do not show up on the laptop.

Any thing I can do to make these shares accessible?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-file-sharing-over-internet.616989/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello everybody. I would like to create a home network between my Windows XP home edition and Windows 98 SE. I am connecting through the internet using a router and everything seems to be working just fine. However, I would like ability to share folders between the two computers as well as share the printer. The printer is currently connected to my 98. Does anyone have instructions on creating a home network as well as sharing a printer. Thanks for your help in advance

Relevancy 49.45%

no windows 7 support for your printer...no problem!

I just recently tried to share an HP laserjet 3500 and of course there was no windows 7 support and will be none in the future.

I found out through trial and many errors that when you are sharing it as long as the computer you have in plugged into has support you can still share it by using a vista inf file for the driver.

just thought i would post in case someone else has the same or similar problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/298085/networking-an-old-printer-and-sharing-inf-file/
Relevancy 49.45%

I ve searched the forum but I haven t been able to find an answer for my problem yet I sharing problems Networking/printer recently left for college and took my laptop with me I bought a new printer and left the other one here for my family to use Before the printer was just connected to my laptop and anyone who wanted to print something had to send it to me Obviously that won t work anymore I m home this weekend and am trying to set up printer sharing but I m having problems We have a DSL modem with wireless capabilities There are now computers one is a desktop connected to the modem via Ethernet cord and the other is a laptop that uses a wireless connection Both can access the internet just fine The printer is connected via UBS cord to the desktop Both are running Windows XP I ve run the network connection wizard on both I can t get the computers to network Both have unique names On the desktop if I view the workgroup computers both are visible but I can t access the laptop I get the Networking/printer sharing problems message ComputerName is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The network path was not found On the laptop if I view the workgroup computers I can t even see the desktop I ve tried so many tutorials nothing seems to help me I can t get the computers to network so I can t share the printer I turned the firewall on the PC completely off there doesn t seem to be one on the laptop and that didn t help One told me to go in and check the enable NetBIOS option I tried that but still nothing I tried to provide all the details I could but if you need more info let me know Thanks nbsp

A:Networking/printer sharing problems

Are both PC's running XP Pro? I hope so!
Heres how you should go about this:

1. Turn Simple File Sharing off on all PCs (Open MY COMPUTER - TOOLS - FOLDER OPTIONS - scroll down & uncheck SIMPLE FILE SHARING).
2. The PC that is connected to the printer via USB: make sure it can print ok! Then find the printer object in START - PRINTERS AND FAXES
3. Right-click the printer object and select SHARING
4. Share the printer and click if there is a PERMISSIONS button, make sure within there that EVERYONE has FULL CONTROL. You may not have to do this (as its only a printer) but for files and folders you would have to configure this and security.
5. From the other PC, browse to the Desktop PC via IP address (START - RUN - type: \\IPADDRESS OF DTPC) and you will either be prompted for a username/password (which is the username/password of the person logged into the Desktop PC, or create a local computer account on that PC). If not, it should open a folder with a few items and anything shared. You should see the printer (whatever share name you called it).
6. Right-click the printer object and select CONNECT - it may promt you about installin a driver, click ok to install it.

Thats about it really. Let me know how you go :grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-printer-sharing-problems.58415/
Relevancy 49.45%

Recently I have had home networking problems. I am not sure it they were all caused by the setting "custom" under Network and Sharing Center/Sharing and Discovery/Network Discovery, as well as File Sharing. Both of them all set to be "custom." However, I changed them to be "ON," yet "custom" is always shown instead of "ON." Thus, I have to open them up and click on the Turn On box each time, yet the ON never remains.

First step screen shot:
2nd step: click on the ON box:
After Administrator's permission, everything resumes to "custom."
So...I could only successfully have my home networking for once. Then, it's never home networking ever again

A:Networking+Sharing Center did not save the changes

Try setting the network to Home Network in Sharing Center and see what happens. Maybe you had it set as Public.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-sharing-center-did-not-save-the-changes.1150621/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello All,

I have an older Dell Dimension 8400. I guess my sound card is the c-media CMI8738/C3DX. I must have done something, because the c-media mixer will slide the wave slidebar down on it's own. I slide it up, and a couple of minutes later the sound will blank out, and I open the mixer and the wave bar is slid all the way down. I tried updated drivers, new programs to control the sound, and nothing works. I tried clicking the "add volume control to taskbar" in the control panel>sound device box, and it says it is not installed, add it in the add/remove option, but it is not there. Please help! I will be playing a game or music, and in a minute or two, no sound, it is off! It is driving my nuts. Thank you in advance for any help!

Reguards,
Rick

A:C-Media mixer turns wave sound off

Make sure, your Internet Explorer is closed.Open Task Manager and see, if you have any iexplore.exe processes running.Let me know, if you see any.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/331134/c-media-mixer-turns-wave-sound-off/
Relevancy 49.02%

After getting a couple blue screens I am having the following issue When I turn my computer on the fans and drives all start up After approx seconds the computer shuts itself off After another seconds the computer turns itself back on again This time it stays on but i have no monitor output I don t hear a beep video Computer on has turns then turns no output off back on, turns but which tells me it is probably not posting I have read a few other threads that have a similar issue but not the same I am thinking it is either the mobo GPU or PSU I would like any guidance and assistance that you guys can give me on this specifically what i should look at first and how to diagnose Thanks system specs below ASUS P Q Pro ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core Duo E GHz LGA W Dual-Core Processor EVGA GeForce GTX Core -P - -AR Video Card Antec EA W Power Supply OCZ GB x GB -Pin DDR PC Dual Channel Kit Memory nbsp

A:Computer turns on, turns off then turns back on but has no video output

Motherboard Short

I have helped somebody who had a similar issue and it was the motherboard being shorted out by the case. We took the motherboard out of the case and it booted up just fine. Something you might want to try before purchasing new components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-turns-off-then-turns-back-on-but-has-no-video-output.152198/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi there I have two desktops One running Windows Home Premium the other running Windows XP Home edition I ve got them networked by wireless dlink router although using cables running off the ethernet ports and they are obviously seeing each other as I can browse the entire C on the Win XP machine from the Windows machine no problem I can also receive the internet on both machines The problem Home/7 Windows issues XP Networking: sharing lies in trying to view any folder on the Win machine from Windows XP Home/7 Networking: sharing issues the Win XP machine In Win XP I browse to Entire Network Microsoft Windows Networks sorry I m going off memory here as I m away from the computers in question and finally Workgroup After I click the plus symbol on Workgroup I then get the two computers listed Upon double clicking the Windows computer I get the big bad quot lt COMPUTER NAME gt is not accessible quot etc error I ve read all manner of things relating to disabling simple file sharing but this seems to only apply to Windows XP Pro I ve also read about setting permissions for folders but I can t even reach the desired folder so as to right click it and set the permissions I m stuck at not being able to double click the Win computer name One thing I ve thought of however is that the two computers do not have a static ip address set I was thinking of maybe setting the Win machine to and the XP machine to As it is I m not sure of setting IP addresses and subnets etc except on a straight crossover cable set up In this case I have the computers networked via a Dlink router The moment I put a static ip address in the XP machine s TCP IP settings under Local Area the net connection is knocked out As far as I m aware the Dlink s ip for accessing it s web page is Can someone tell me if I m on the right track here or can I have the TCP IP settings as quot automatically obtain quot and find some other method to get the XP machine to see s share folders Regards JazzCat nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,

I have three computers, 1 old machine running XPSP3, 1 New machine running Vista Unltimate and One Notebook running vista ultimate (Wireless Connection).

Prob 1. I have a shared printer connected to the XP desktop and can access it from the Vista notebook but not from the Vista Desktop.

Prob 2. I can not get Call of Duty WaW to connect by LAN With the Vista Desktop and it does not attract other players when hosting a public game. When using the Vista notebook I can play LAN with the XP Desktop and the Vista Notebook.

The problem seems to be with the Vista Desktop, something i can't see. The Xp Desktop and Vista Desktop are connected through a Belkin Wireless G Router ver 6002.

File Sharing and network discovery are turned on, on both vista machines.
The call of duty games are all patched to the same and latest version.

Thanks for your time and help

A:Trouble sharing printer & networking some games

Have you checked the firewall to make sure it is allowed through that ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/212481-trouble-sharing-printer-networking-some-games.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi

I have 2 Windows 7 machines connected to a network with several other devices all of which I can see in Windows Explorer - Networking. I've set up shares on each of the Windows 7 machines and turned off Password protected sharing in Advanced sharing settings. The first time I try to access shares on either of the Windows 7 machines from the other machine it asks for a username and password before I can access the shares. Once the credentials have been accepted the shares continue until the machine is rebooted. Setting the 'Remember credentials' box on the login page doesn't help. Other shared resources (XP desktop, NAS, Media player) on the network all work fine from either of the Win 7 machines. What I am looking for is the equivalent of the old "Simple file sharing" from XP, can anyone tell me how to set this in Windows 7 (Ultimate & Professional)?

Andy

A:Legacy Networking - Simple File Sharing

Old style simple file sharing has changed considerably since the XP days. You will need to use either public file sharing or the Workgroup to share files between XP and Windows 7.

Try this tutorial.> Networking home computers running different versions of Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/49619-legacy-networking-simple-file-sharing.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have searched the forums for a solution to this didn't find any that I hadn't already tried so I decided to post a new thread Ok so I have a couple of issues with my home network I sharing) (file & printer Networking woes have machines networked on a wireless network Router is a Linksys WRT G with WPA encryption using TKIP if that makes any difference One machine is running Win one is running Vista and the other two are running XP Home Networking woes (file & printer sharing) Both of the XP computers are using old Linksys WMP Networking woes (file & printer sharing) PCI wireless adapters I will refer to the computers as W MACHINE VISTAMACHINE XPMACHINE AND XPMACHINE Ok so my first problem is kinda simple I'm trying to share my profile folder on W MACHINE C Users Me over the network I have it set to share permissions give everybody full access but none of the other machines can access it They can see it but when they try to access it they get an error telling them access is denied Password-protected sharing is disabled by the way Why can't I access it The second problem is really the biggie I have a Lexmark X connected to XPMACHINE and I want to set up the other computers so they can print on it XPMACHINE prints on it fine no problems Neither the Vista nor the Win machine however can install it via the Add Printer - gt Network Printer utility Both W MACHINE and VISTAMACHINE have the drivers installed on them however the company has not released drivers for Win yet When the printer is physically connected to W MACHINE it works fine with the Vista drivers Whenever I try to add the printer via the Add Printer- gt Network Printer utility however I get an error saying that Windows could not access the printer error x d So I tried the method that I found here and a few other places of telling the computer it's on a local port creating XPMACHINE Printer as the port then trying to install However all this does is give me an interminable quot installing printer quot dialog box which I have let run for over an hour with no results When I cancel it I have to end the task via the Task Manager XPMACHINE also has a printer connected to it an HP OfficeJet Series which both the Win and Vista computers can access print on etc just fine So why can't I access the printer on the other computer Is the printer too old Is the computer too old My third problem isn't very important but it's bugging me When I go to the network map in Vista or Win both XP machines are listed down at the bottom of the map because quot Windows could not place the following discovered device s on the network map quot I've heard this has to do with the Link-Layer Topology thing but both XP computers are running SP which was supposed to include that fix I've tried the method for fixing it found here but they still don't show up Oh occasionally when viewing the network map from the Win machine the Vista machine isn't placed on the map either scratches head Hope somebody s can help me

A:Networking woes (file & printer sharing)

Quote: Originally Posted by INH

1. Ok, so my first problem is kinda simple. I'm trying to share my profile folder on W7MACHINE (C:\Users\Me) over the network. I have it set to share, permissions give everybody full access, but none of the other machines can access it. They can see it, but when they try to access it they get an error telling them access is denied. Password-protected sharing is disabled, by the way. Why can't I access it?

I'm gonna focus of 1) for now. So you created the C:\Users\Me share and in permissions tab u have Full Control for the Everyone group. What about the Security tab?

Also, try with actual user account names.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/37290-networking-woes-file-printer-sharing.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi folks, got no help from the XBMC forums, so I'll post here.

here is the setup:

I have a Huawei HG532 router, with 4x ports, and wireless n. Connected in one port is a netgear 4 port switch.

My media PC is an asrock 330 connected to the switch.

My Xbox with Xbox is connected to another port in the router.

my laptop was connected via WiFi, now connected to the switch.

My media PC streams via SMB, to the Xbox.
Now here is the problem. All works, streaming etc. But if I access the media PC from my laptop to transfer some new files over; the Xbox then cannot access the media PC until the media PC is restarted.

This gets very tiresome as you might imagine.

Does anyone know why this is happening? it happens if my laptop is connected by WiFi, and it happens when connected wired to the switch.

Any help would be welcome.

A:Router/switch sharing networking issues

Well, this doesn't appear to have anything to do with the switch or router, but rather an issue with media sharing on the media PC. I'd be looking at the settings of the media PC.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-switch-sharing-networking-issues.954162/
Relevancy 49.02%

My first post as a new member Two related questions I m leasing a law office which includes existing desktops running Win Kpro SP I own a new laptop with Win XP Pro Internet access is through a Win2k file/print Pro for between & sharing XP networking Westell DSL Modem in quot bridge quot mode to a Linksys BEFSR router Computers are connected to router via wired ethernet cable Q If this makes sense I d like to use one of the desktops as a quot server quot machine to store common files and folders that need to be shared between the laptop and the other desktop My work requires both me and networking for file/print sharing between Win2k & XP Pro my secretary to have access to the same documents networking for file/print sharing between Win2k & XP Pro How do I set that up in a network context Q I obviously need to network the computers but with the different operating systems I wanted to get this forum s input on how to do that Per posting guidleines I ve done searches for similar inquiries and saw some seeming related threads but wanted to pose my question directly I m a bit intimidated about doing this myself but since I m starting a solo practice I have to be my own IT guy Thanks very much nbsp

A:networking for file/print sharing between Win2k & XP Pro

You shouldn't have too much trouble, W2K & WinXP Pro are very similar to setup.
Because you computers go through the router there is not alot else to do.

Make sure all computers are under the same workgroup name.
If DHCP is enabled on the Router that's fine, if not make sure all IP's are set statically using the same subnet and Gateway (router's IP) on each computer.
Make sure file & print sharing is enabled on the machine you want to use as the server, then select the shares.
On a windows XP machine, you may or may not need to run the Network Setup Wizard first, and then configure the network to suit your needs. Unfortunately, this feature of Microsoft's is stupid and quite often causes more trouble than it's worth.
Also make sure any Desktop firewalls are configured to allow local network traffic.
Some firewalls can be confusing to setup, my advice is to disable these firewall untill you have the network working and then configure them.
To be safe, just pull the phone cable out of the modem to stop internet activity.

I've maybe missed something and it's a very brief overview but I don't have anymore time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-for-file-print-sharing-between-win2k-xp-pro.454761/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello everyone thank you for having me on the forum First of all let me explain that I have already done about hours of research in trying to fix this problem and Sharing HELP! Failure) Networking Win Problem 7 to 7 Win (Logon have been totally unsuccessful I am certainly an advanced user when it comes to Win 7 to Win 7 Networking Sharing Problem (Logon Failure) HELP! computer and networking repair However this one problem has got me tearing my hair out Here it is I have desktop and laptop machines at my house All are running the most updated version of Windows Ultimate x legitimate retail copies All computers were attached to the same workgroup quot WORKGROUP quot and all computers were attached to the same homegroup with the same password The network worked fine and file printer sharing was no problem between the machines Recently I had to do a fresh install of Windows Ultimate x on a desktop computer at my house For ease of explanation I will refer to this computer as PC- PC- Win 7 to Win 7 Networking Sharing Problem (Logon Failure) HELP! is directly hooked up to a printer always has been and has the printer correctly installed it prints fine I have enabled file printer sharing in the Network Settings area of control panel I have turned password sharing OFF I have also disabled password requirements for networking in the local user policy I have ensured that all PC's are hooked up to the same WORKGROUP titled quot WORKGROUP quot and that they are all part of the same homegroup All computers see each other when I go to the networking and sharing center however here's the problem Whenever I try to access PC- from LAPTOP- I get a pop-up box that says quot ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD quot and then quot LOGON FAILURE UNKNOWN USERNAME OR PASSWORD quot I have researched this to no end and have done the following Made new workgroups and switched back Made new homegroups Ensured that all PC's were on the same IP range ie xx Ensured that all PC's had the exact same settings in the Network Sharing Center Ensured that Password Sharing was DISABLED on all machines Ensured that all machines have the exact same user accounts passwords Ensured that all machines were connected to the router internet Ensured that all machines can see each other in the network sharing center Ensured that all machines were restarted multiple times Logged onto all user accounts on all machines Enabled guest account on all machines Set policies as seen here Windows can amp t access Share in a workgroup Tried creating the homegroup on different machines Ensured that the CLOCKS and CALENDARS were up to date and synced with Windows Time update Ensured that NO ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE was enabled on ANY machine Ensured that Windows Firewall was turned off on all machines Ensured that all machines were virus spyware free Restarted the Router Modem several times IP release renew in Command Prompt on all machines Ensured that no DMZ was enabled on any machine Ensured that no DOMAIN was specified and all machines use WORKGROUP Checked site map and saw that all machines are recognized fully Ensured that Local Security Policy was set exactly the same on all Machines Ensured that Guest Accounts all had NO PASSWORD Ran Homegroup Networking Troubleshooter and it found quot Networking Problems quot that could not be fixed I realize this is fairly useless but I was desperate Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated I am extremely disappointed in Microsoft for the terrible networking problems with Windows I never had any of these difficulties with Windows XP SP or even Windows Thank you all in advance

A:Win 7 to Win 7 Networking Sharing Problem (Logon Failure) HELP!

Hi biodole, Welcome to Seven Forums.

1, on both your Laptops, access your Network adapters in Device Manager, right click and select uninstall (KEEP the drivers) then reboot.
If unsuccessfull try this. File Sharing Settings.pdf

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/198759-win-7-win-7-networking-sharing-problem-logon-failure-help.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi first question i have windows xp PCs A and B set up in a lan with a linksys wired router quot A quot PC can see and access files from quot B quot PC but quot B quot PC can only see files from quot A quot PC When i try to access files from quot A quot PC it tells me i need administrator privileges dont recall puting some password or such Oh by the way i tried it with all the firewalls down and up same results Although i can play games on the lan second question i want to share my I three networking have internet sharing dial-up and questions concerning dial-up internet connection how do i just want it in one way that if quot A quot is connected then quot B quot can join the connection as well Third question is there some sort of messaging apps for a lan so quot A quot can send msgs to quot B quot without actually having to connect on the internet nbsp

A:I have three questions concerning networking and dial-up internet sharing

What os do these systems run?
That should get us started on some remediation.

As to sharing a connection, if you have a router, does it have enough ports so that you can plug the systems into it? If not, just get a switch and plug both systems into it. Then the switch into the router. If the router does dhcp, and I don't know of one that doesn't, you can let the systems get an ip from the router, and online you should be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-three-questions-concerning-networking-and-dial-up-internet-sharing.20211/
Relevancy 49.02%

so i just recently set up a home wireless network(D-link router/adapter with 2 computers)
both computers(windows xp pro) are set up and everything is secure but i want to share files and a printer but it just won't work. i ran the wizards but no results

when i try to find the other computer on computer one it dosen't show but on the comp that is connected using the adapter i can see a shared document in my network places that i shrared on the original comp; i put pics and music in the original but on the second comp it shows the same folder name but with nothin in it

hope someone can help thx-

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi

After buying a brand new laptop for my wife with Vista Premium ready installed, I connected it last night to the wireless router and hve internet connectivity with no problems.

This morning I plugged in her printers and gadgets to the machine with the intention of sharing the printers so I can access them from my XP machine, as I did with her previous XP computer, but the two computers won't talk!

Both machines connect to the wireless router no problem, get allocated an IP address and can connect to the internet no problem, but they just can't see each other!

I've tried everything I can think of, turning on network discovery, changing to a provate network, installing the LLTD protocols on my XP machine = basically everything the Vista suggests.

I can't even ping the other machine IP address from either machine, please help, this is driving me insane!

Thanks,

Simon

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello Thanks to anyone who is willing to help with this problem I am trying to network computers and share a printer Here is my current home office network Win printer 98SE, 1 Networking: sharing 2 Solved: XP, Win Wireless internet piped into a Linksys WRT G wireless router Of the computers on this network laptop desktop are running Win Xp and the other desktop is running Win SE All have internet connectivity and file sharing between the XP machines is working fine The problem is Solved: Networking: 2 Win XP, 1 Win 98SE, printer sharing that I have not been able to successfully share files on the Win SE computer which is where the printer is installed The laptop XP is running the Windows firewall and Norton AntiVirus The desktop XP is running the Windows firewall and Norton System Works The SE desktop is running Norton System Works and Norton Personal Firewall When rebooting the SE computer I am getting the following error ----------------------------- quot Windows Networking quot Unable to load the dynamic link library msnp dll The system cannot find the file specified Some or all of the following features is not available Microsoft Network ----------------------------- When I disable the Norton Personal Firewall on the SE computer I am able to ping the two XP computers using their respective IP addresses Also from each of the XP computers I am able to ping the Win SE computer and the other XP machine I did not have to disable the Windows firewall for the above to work Sorry for the lengthy post but I would rather give as much details up front Thanks again for any help emptx nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello It s been a while since I ve been to the forum with a question but you always give me good answers so here goes I have been trying to network an xp home Dell I ll call it wirelessly to my main machine which is an xp professional Dell I ll call it It has definitely been a trying experience and I know that it sharing networking-file/printer l-o-n-g!! woes really shouldn t be Here are the details I am running DSL networking-file/printer sharing woes l-o-n-g!! high speed from a SpeedStream Modem to a Netgear MR v router I have an ethernet connection between the Netgear and and am running wireless to which has a Linksys WUSB v network adapter I have MG RAM in each machine yeah I know I should have more and am running Norton Internet Security in each machine I have disabled the Windows Firewall in both - so I do not have any conflicting Firewall probs I have configured my Netgear with an SSID and WEP alphanumeric characters which I assigned to using the wireless network setup I have been able to access the internet on both machines but I have been able to consistently file share only from to Yes each machine is part of the same workgroup I went to the Administrative tools folder to make sure that was set to quot access this computer from the network quot and noticed that quot everyone quot etc was granted rights I then checked quot deny access to this computer from the network quot and noticed that quot guests quot were denied access so I deleted that word and closed the screen I also did a cmd prompt and made sure that quot guests quot were allowed access to the machine and that was ok At this point was able to read files share the printer from - but today it cannot Yeah - weird I know To make it weirder was able to ping but not itself And was able to ping but not itself Before I wrote to you I decided to perform an automatic network diagnostics to give you an idea of what is going on I also decided to perform this diagnostics test with - and without - the Netgear router in place just in case it was something that has been caused by that piece of equipment - it is an older model Yet each time I ran the test the following sequence came up so I don t think that it has anything to do with my Netgear router Now I am not sure if it could be a problem with the Frontier SpeedStream modem Here are the results for your expertise As you will note there are failures under various pings I have color coded them so I know that something is amiss yet at the same time many items passed I just don t get it Bad network card Quirky modem Some internal conflict caused by Norton What do you think What am I doing wrong what could be going wrong over here TIA greatly for your advice It s driving me nuts davek Internet Service - Frontiernet InBoundMailPort InBoundMailServer pop frontiernet net FAILED Pinging pop frontiernet net xxxxxxxxxx with bytes of data Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Ping statistics for xxxxxxxx Packets Sent Received Lost loss InBoundMailType POP Successfully connected to pop frontiernet net port OutBoundMailPort - OutBoundMailServer SMTP FRONTIERNET NET FAILED Pinging relay FRONTIERNET NET xxxxxxxxxx with bytes of data Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Ping statistics for xxxxxxxxxx Packets Sent Received Lost loss OutBoundMailType SMTP Successfully connected to SMTP FRONTIERNET NET port Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Network Adapters TE -PCBUSR -Bit Cardbus PC Card FAILED Caption TE -PCBUSR -Bit Cardbus PC Card DatabasePath SystemRoot System drivers etc DefaultIPGateway xxxxxxxxxx Same Subnet PASSED Description Realtek RTL Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport DHCPEnabled TRUE DHCPLeaseExpires AM DHCPLeaseObtained PM DHCPServer xxxxxxxxxx PASSED DNSEnabledForWINSResolution FALSE DNSHostName number DNSServerSearchOrder xxxxxxxxxx PASSED DomainDNSRegistrationEnabled FALSE FullDNSRegistrationEnabled TRUE GatewayCos... Read more

A:networking-file/printer sharing woes l-o-n-g!!

When giving ping results it's usually sufficient to just say success (replies recieved) or failure (packets lost).

I didn't read too much of your post because Norton Internet Security is the most likely source of your problems. Uninstall it from both machines until you get your LAN working properly. Then you can reinstall it on one machine at a time and properly configure it for LAN access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-file-printer-sharing-woes-l-o-n-g.521688/
Relevancy 49.02%

I enabled the guest account for my children to use laptop.
The computer connected and worked fine. Dont know what happend
There is no networking enabled now in guest account?
It say's under network and sharing center View your basic network information and setup connections.
Unknown
Access is denied
Not sure how to fix this, Cant right click on anything to run as admin.
I have attached a screen shot of my network and sharing center.

A:access is denied networking and sharing center

Internet is connecting again, from guest account. Dont know why it stoped?
go figure?

How do I delete this Question or mark it as resolved?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/119231-access-denied-networking-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Small business having problems with file sharing. In particular I have a windows xp pro machine and trying to add a network place in "my network places" The particular computer I am trying to access is a Windows 2000 Pro machine. We don't have a domain but are using work groups. both the xp and 2k machines are in the same work group. When I try to access the 2k machine from the xp machine I can shows up on the network but when I right click and click on properties I get a message that "I do not have the appropiate access rights to this server. If I right click and try to explore it a username and password window pops up. Any help appreciated.

Relevancy 49.02%

How to fix the titled problem?  Can anyone from HP come to my home to fix it?  I have a warranty but can hardly find suitable information on HP web which made me very frustrated.  Thank you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Very-slow-or-can-t-open-Networking-and-Sharing-Centre/td-p/5801099
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi there,
so the way it goes is that

1.) I seemed to have uninstalled everything from the properties of LAN in networking and sharing centre in adapter settings.Some help would be appreciated if you could tell me what is necessary and what is not so i can get the best settings.

2.) every once in a while i seem to get a new icon appear in networking and sharing centre that says Wireless network connection 2.Is that normal behaviour.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-networking-and-sharing-centre-on-window-7.1102411/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a new 8900.  I want to create recovery media in case I have to completely restore the computer OS.  One place on Dell site seems to imply I need a 16GB USB drive to do this.  Somewhere else it indicates a DVD disk is what I would have to make a recovery.  After much searchng I am  at a loss.  
Any suggestions about how I should best create recovery media?  I am familiar with having the DVDs shipped with computers from Dell.  That's not the case now I guess. Also, does the recovery media include required device drivers?  I assume the recovery media is on one of the 4 partitiions shipped with my 2TB HDD 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19997505
Relevancy 48.59%

This didn't happen before, then it recently started only letting me burn certain cd's, now it wont let me burn any at all without the sound going awful and crackly. I'm not running any programs in the background and my disk drive isn't damaged. Does anyone know how i can fix this problem it would be really helpful? All the other sounds on my computer are working fine.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/when-i-burn-a-cd-to-windows-media-player-on-some-of-the-cds-the-quality-turns-bad-473857.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I am planning to redo my small office network Right now every computer is connected through a workgroup and some computers are sharing files to everyone and some need a login to share other files I want to run a main server where Certain Small Users Office Networking Sharing with File for all the files are on that computer and have it share all the files to everyone else on the network I'm not too familiar with Windows workgroup networking and file sharing I want to have certain files accessible to certain computers and certain files accessible to everyone on the network I'm under the Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users impression that I have to have the main server with all the business documents Then create separate accounts on the Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users server and hand them out to each individual computer After go to each document and specify who can access what with Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users read write Can I share some files to everyone and have certain files limited to other computers at the same time How would someone access the shared files when you need a login and will this login conflict with files shared to everyone and files shared to certain people I remember on my small business network I need a login for certain computers because it is shared to only certain people then how would I access the files shared to everyone when I have to login to see the server files to begin with Also how do I manage backups with this setup Thanks in advance

A:Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users

Sounds like Small Business Server might be the way to go. Easy to use and affordable, plus it meets all your requirements SBS 2011

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/212557-small-office-networking-file-sharing-certain-users.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Is turning on printer file sharing ok when using a network hub that's not a router when connected to the internet if I am using a non MS firewall. I am probably going to get the activation key for AVG's firewall. I would rather not have to buy a new router as well. My current hub is a linksys EFAHO5W 10/100 Wally World special ethernet.

A:Is it safe to turn on printer/file sharing when networking?

Why on earth would you want to turn it on on an internet-facing interface?

Yes, if you have firewall software then it should be OK.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-safe-to-turn-on-printer-file-sharing-when-networking.38512/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have computers running Windows XP One is Pro one is home Trying to set up your usual file printer sharing simple nothing advanced they are on the same network at amp t uverse router the problem I am having is that they simply do not see each other I have enabled sharing on both computers I have set them on Networking Solved: sharing Problem files printer / the same Workgroup firewalls are off and I used the network setup wizard to setup both with the same options Now usually this has worked for me on just about every computer I have worked on in the past for some reason it won t work on these when I Solved: Networking Problem sharing files / printer go to quot add network place quot and input the local IP s it just says quot the folder you entered does not appear to be valid Solved: Networking Problem sharing files / printer please choose another quot when I navigate to the workgroup in my network places neither computer sees Solved: Networking Problem sharing files / printer the other one I am able to ping them through CMD so I know it is not a hardware problem It was working fine until I sent one of the computers out to have some spyware removed when it got back I started having this issue Could it be that something was deleted along with the spyware which is keeping that computer from having the ability to be on a network any ideas thank you nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

Sorry for the large post but here goes Situation I ve moved into a house where the landlord has connection drops in each dwelling area This is the only form of internet network drop in my living area Equipment (Internet Sharing) Networking Connection Issues Solved: owned Solved: Networking (Internet Connection Sharing) Issues Linksys Wireless-G GHz Router WRT G Ver Laptop - Dell Latitude D running Windows XP Laptop - Toshiba Solved: Networking (Internet Connection Sharing) Issues Tecra S running Win K SP Laptop - Asus Eee PC G Surf running Linux PC - custom Solved: Networking (Internet Connection Sharing) Issues built but oldish - running Win k SP this machine is used for storage only basically also has NIC s installed Problem I tried plugging my Linksys Router into the hardwired drop that the landlord installed in my apartment I used both a normal Cat and a Cat crossover and plugged them into my quot Internet quot uplink drop on my router Neither situation shares the internet to the other computers on the router I decided to try to use Internet Connection Sharing from the PC Pluged the PC into the wall - I have internet no problems Set up ICS on that machine and when I use a cross over cable to go from the PC to any of the laptops the laptop has internet no problems Next step was to try both a cat and a cat cross over to go from the nd NIC on the PC to the uplink on the router Again won t share across other computers and I did remember to change the default xxx on the router to xxx Troubleshooting - I thought maybe it was an issue with the router so I took it to a friends place and plugged their cable modem directly into my uplink and it shared internet with no problems So it s not the router Any suggestions or help on what I m doing wrong or what I m missing to make this work nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

I guess Vista doesn't have - Sharing vs. File XP in Vista Networking: permissions global Active Record etc I want to store all the authentication info for the users computers on my home network on my main desktop server so that once someone is logged into their computer they get whatever permissions are associated with their user profile I set this up on my old xp network years ago but can't figure out how to do it on Vista Any good tutorials on setting up a domain controller When I share a folder on one of the computers in my home network it does not see any users that do not have profiles on that system Hence I cannot give them permission to read write So I created profiles on one computer with Networking: File Sharing in Vista vs. XP - global permissions the name password I want That name shows up in my sharing list and I can give them permissions I want Then when I login on another computer using that user name I can click on the computer in Network folder then enter name pass and get access to the shared folder However now that computer has multiple profiles on it which I don't want I want only one profile per computer and a central list of those profiles in my main server computer with the permissions That way when someone logs in on their computer they become authenticated in the network and their permissions are distributed to them no more passwords no quot just go quot to the folders they want The workaround I did is quot fine quot except that each person on the network now has to choose their profile to login rather than having it automatically log them in no other choices to be had Annoying in a home office environment with family members who only want one profile on their computer There is probably a simple solution but hours later I haven't found it yet Thanks Mark

A:Networking: File Sharing in Vista vs. XP - global permissions

BTW, vista home premium 64 spq

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/networking-file-sharing-in-vista-vs-xp-global-permissions-397036.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a network in which each computer will connect to the internet. The Win 2000 will connect to drives and printer on the Win XP. The XP will connect to the internet, but will not allow me to share printers and files. I have set all drives and printer to "share". When trying to map a drive on the 2000, I get this message.

The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error occurred:
The account was not authorized to login from this station.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-and-printer-sharing-when-networking-win-xp-comp-to-win-2000.541887/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I am planning to redo my small office network Right now every computer is connected through a workgroup and some computers are sharing files to everyone and some need a with Certain Networking Sharing Small for Users File Office login to share other files I want to run a main server where all the files Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users are on that computer and have it share all the files to everyone else on the Small Office Networking with File Sharing for Certain Users network I m not too familiar with Windows workgroup networking and file sharing I want to have certain files accessible to certain computers and certain files accessible to everyone on the network I m under the impression that I have to have the main server with all the business documents Then create separate accounts on the server and hand them out to each individual computer After go to each document and specify who can access what with read write Can I share some files to everyone and have certain files limited to other computers at the same time How would someone access the shared files when you need a login and will this login conflict with files shared to everyone and files shared to certain people I remember on my small business network I need a login for certain computers because it is shared to only certain people then how would I access the files shared to everyone when I have to login to see the server files to begin with Thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/small-office-networking-with-file-sharing-for-certain-users.1039567/
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently updated Windows Media Player, and I noticed that there's an option missing that was present in the old version I had. Either that or I just can't find it. The option is to "disable" a song, but still keep it in the playlist. "Enable" would then allow the song to play again.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/option-missing-in-media-player.177774/