Windows Support Forum

Lost Admin rights after switching from Win 10 account to local one

Q: Lost Admin rights after switching from Win 10 account to local one

Hello guys Please help me find a way to solve my problem Yesterday when I first set up Win I have created a windows account with my email Soon after I have realized that my C Users folder was messed up it was a shorter version of my email so I decided to swith to a local account instead and to my huge surprise I have love every right to change anything I have tried every solution I have found on the internet I am able to boot in save mode but the cmd doesn't point to the system so I cannot execute NET USER Win local from after Lost account switching to one rights Admin 10 ADMINISTRATOR ACTIVE YES I spent hours and I couldn't fix it I even switched back to the win account and I still do not have any rights to make changes I can't even make changes in control panel in safe mode It's getting frustrating and after the update the solutions on the other forums do not even make sence anymore I just want a local acount with my right name and administrator rights Please help

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/70169-lost-admin-rights-after-switching-win-10-account-local-one.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Lost Admin rights after switching from Win 10 account to local one

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 21.93%

Power outage due to storm. Came back on without pictures and documents. It's an HP desktop. Would a file recovery program work? I've tried some of the instructions online, but they don't work.

A:Lost pictures on Windows 7 from power outage

Oh mary; I feel your pain. Were the pics within one folder and now they're ALL missing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-pictures-on-windows-7-from-power-outage.217351/
Relevancy 22.36%

I recently cloned my old 160gb hdd on to a new 1tb hdd, then proceeded to format my old hdd. After formating it had lost 128gb only showing 32gb. I have checked for partitions (unallocated) but none can be found. Even tried remapping mbr, with no result. Any help to recover my lost storage space would be great.

A:Lost hdd space post format

I'm running Windows 7 home premium BTW don't no if that info will help with a solution or not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-hdd-space-post-format.213789/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 25.37%

Printer Problems in Windows XP sp3
Dell Personal Printer all in one A940
After trying to speed up an older computer running Windows XP
I may have cut off the Print Spooler (or it was already off ?)
I went back to Services dialog box & selected Print Spooler
I clicked the "Start" link at left of service list & got a message tgat said
"could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start."
Printer is still not working can anyone help?

A:Could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068

On Win/7 the dependencies are

HTTP

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Manually start each on and set to AUTOSTART as you go.
If one fails, then that is the root problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-not-start-print-spooler-service-on-local-computer-error-1068.206839/
Relevancy 26.66%

So I realize that this is my computer telling me that it is not getting a connection to the internet So here is a basic diagram of my setup ISP---- gt Cable Modem----- gt New Splitter---------- gt Asus wifi router working --------- gt Desktop IP also connected to wifi My ISP is Charter Com via a Cable Modem From there I go into a TRENDnet ethernet switch splitter From there I have cable that goes to my desktop one cable to goes Area Local Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx to the upper floor to the wifi router Asus RT-N U The router is working fine and I am currently connected to it I have replaced the TRENDnet Switch every ethernet cable except to Asus wifi router This is where it gets stupid I can disconnect the TRENDnet switch and plug in my Desktop with the IP and it works I have researched this topic via forums for the past month and a half and now after fresh installing windows would like to try and get some input of what other might think is going on I am out of options I Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx had this setup for quite some time with wired and wifi Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx but just all of a sudden about - months ago after moving my desk and plugging it all in again it stopped working Here is a text format of Ipconfig of my LAC Configuration for interface quot Local Area Connection quot DHCP enabled Yes IP Address xxx xxx Subnet Prefix xx mask InterfaceMetric DNS servers configured through DHCP None Register with which suffix Primary only WINS servers configured through DHCP None As I said I am now running a fresh install of windows with no Bonjour program on it I have released renewed and about other CMD commands that I could think of The internet options for this adapter are set to obtain automatically I have ran about every malware program I can think of So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

Hmm why the splitter BEFORE the router - - that's not the correct way to add a second router

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
to add a second router:

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
|
+--- new router

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-169-254-xxx-xxx.203909/
Relevancy 30.53%

I am using a very old and slow MPC computer running Windows XP.
Someone gave me [out of pity] a 3 year old E-Machines computer running Windows 7. [beggars can't be choosy].
Anyway, how can I safely get my data from my old PC to the newer one?
I am not the sharpest tack in the box, so if you can tell me how to do it in simple terms, I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks guys.

A:Switching information from PC to PC

Doctor Gallop said:

I am using a very old and slow MPC computer running Windows XP.
Someone gave me [out of pity] a 3 year old E-Machines computer running Windows 7. [beggars can't be choosy].
Anyway, how can I safely get my data from my old PC to the newer one?
I am not the sharpest tack in the box, so if you can tell me how to do it in simple terms, I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks guys.Click to expand...

Someone else may have a better idea, but if you have a large enough flashdrive, save it all to that & transfer it.
I don't know if you could use TeamViewer for that or not .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-information-from-pc-to-pc.201854/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hey guys,

Just signed up although I have been following these forums for a few weeks now

Just after some advice. Basically I have the FX-8350 but I'm looking at switching to Intel (specifically the 4770k) as I've been told it's better for the GPUs I have, currently running dual-290x setup. Someone said the 8350 causes a lot of bottlenecking and that I would get a lot more out of them if I switched to the 4770k? Can anyone attest to that?

Cheers

A:Switching to Intel

The 8350 is more than enough. The i7 could gain you a few frames per second (FPS) depending on the game (somewhere from 5 FPS to as much as 15 FPS). I would keep the 8350 until more attractive CPU options come out like Haswell-E or the next generation of AMD FX CPUs or even the 5th generation of Intel's i7.

The reason I am saying this is because the 8350, while it may not perform as well as the 4770K (not by much), the 8350 completely serves your needs and there is no need to upgrade to a 4770K at this moment since it wont bring you that much of an improvement.

I hope this helps.

-JC

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-to-intel.201143/
Relevancy 21.93%

I had to format and re-install Windows XP on a Satellite A105-S4201 Laptop. I installed XP, and updated to SP3. The brightness control no longer works using Fn+F6/F7 (or any other way for that matter). It was working before the format.
I tried a couple of different Common Modules installs. This one: tc00324000b (version 6.07.03) won't even install. Gave me error message, "TVALG Driver installation has failed". And this one: SPA210 TCommon Modules-XP (version 1.00.06) installed, and had me restart, but when I tried to install the hotkey utilities afterward, it said "TOSHIBA Common Module not found! This setup will terminate." Also, I have the latest BIOS version installed (v 6.0)
Any ideas?

A:Fn Brightness Control lost, Toshiba Laptop

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fn-brightness-control-lost-toshiba-laptop.197580/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have an EVGA GTX 560-Ti graphics card connected to two monitors. The primary monitor is a Syncmaster 2433BW and the second monitor is a Syncmaster 204B. Everything was fine until this morning when I booted up and found the second monitors resolution way off. After entering the NVIDIA control panel I found the monitor simply identified as Digital Display with a very limited resolution table available, the monitor was set to 1024x768. On the control panel resolution screen it is identified as "Generic Non-PNP Monitor with only two resolutions neither of which is the recommended 1600x1200. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver with no improvement.

A:Lost monitor ID in setup

Have u tried This option the Resize? I use this due to my Samsung tv doesnt have really good scaling which I was left to using a random resolution but this random resolution still is read from the tv as 1920x1080 maybe it might work for u

if this doesnt work I havent actualy got which driver did u install nvidia driver or the monitor one? if so this is were u should go
<-this image seems to not be working right click open in new tab

Right click my computer Properties Device manager and rightclick on the monitors and update software

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-monitor-id-in-setup.195406/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have a wireless ubee modem. I have had it for a will now and it has worked great up until yesterday. I can't find my wireless signal for my internet. I can hook up the usb port and get the internet just fine, but when I turn to wireless I can't even find my wireless signal name to hook up. I know my laptop is still getting signals because my modem is still finding my neighbors signals. Please help!!!

A:Lost My Internet Signal

Are you using someone else internet service via WiFi? If your now they power cycle the internet modem and your wireless laptop. Power cycle means reboot them or power them down then power them up. Internet modem can be reset but you would need to call your ISP and let them send a signal to hit the box (reset it) or walk you through the steps to do it on your end.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-my-internet-signal.194378/
Relevancy 26.23%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

A:Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-access-only-with-wireless-using-windows-vista.194148/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi Friends ... I have this laptop that has been given to me by my company and the USB ports have been blocked in manner such that I can copy stuff from my USB drive on to the machine but cannot copy in the reverse direction, ie. from the hard drive to the USB. Obviously it is to safeguard against theft of data. However, I do not deal with any confidential data and like to back up things every few days. Please tell me a shortcut to unlock my USB entirely even though I do not have administrator rights on the machine.

A:How to unlock USB ports without admin password?

Sorry, we will not assist in circumventing such security features, especially when the machine belongs to someone else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-unlock-usb-ports-without-admin-password.193100/
Relevancy 22.79%

Ok so I m a first time builder here with a budget of I use my computer for web browsing with a million tabs so 1st time build, lost :P open I admit lol music recording editing normally about or so tracks only lite gaming minecraft with heavy skin packs and will be doing small video editing like boxes of video in one frame and watching movies both blue-ray and the occasional live stream I use Windows themes skins on my computer and have more rainmeter gadgets than I probably need I ve come across some good barebones kits for but they lack a few things which I may not even need lol I definitely need a wireless card no cable running to my room and obviously a blue-ray player I don t burn music or movies onto CDs if I need to I already have a burner I m looking for a minimum GB of RAM Do I really need an SSD My mind keeps saying quot YES quot but my wallet says quot nope not in the budget quot I do already have a TB drive for storage I would just like an SSD for the OS and programs But if that s not feasible I have no problem with a small HDD So what am I looking for that will meet the needs of my use and budget Mobo CPU GPU RAM PSU Case SSD-or-HDD Blue-Ray Player Wifi Card and after market cooler heatsink everyone always says stay away from OEM coolers go after market So if I m not all that crazy and this is feasible I appreciate any and all help and hope to learn a good bit in the process please feel free to teach so I actually learn something I m not loyal to any brand so I don t care about any of that at least not yet Thanks nbsp

A:1st time build, so lost :P

matrix86 said:

(everyone always says stay away from OEM coolers...go after market)Click to expand...

I would only make that recommendation based on whether the person will be overclocking. Neither Intel or AMD will package their CPU with a cooler that not sufficiently adequate under non-overclock conditions.

Have you assembled a parts list or are awaiting feedback first?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1st-time-build-so-lost-p.192750/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have an: DIXONH55ITX Socket 1156 Advent Firefly FP 3104 System Motherboard

I'm looking to upgrade for 2 main reasons.

1.) Upgrade my Ram, (as the limit of ram for this motherboard is 4gb.)
2.) More than 1 PCI-E slot. (There's only one on this motherboard.)

But my main question is:
What do I need to take into account when upgrading my Motherboard?
(Compatibility issues etc.)

Also any motherboard recommendations (under 200). As I'm planning on upgrading my computer to a gaming rig.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

A:What do I need to take into account when upgrading my motherboard?

Not quite understanding you. Are you wanting to keep all other parts and just upgrade mobo, ram and gpu?:

It sounds to me like you are wanting to build an entire new system. If so, give us a budget and what should be included (monitor, windows etc.).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-do-i-need-to-take-into-account-when-upgrading-my-motherboard.190547/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi there I am new to this forum though I have went through a couple of threads regarding VPN but I can t seem to find my answer through printing VPN Local I work in an IT department and have to users which are not on the business domain To make use of a program hosted on our server they connect via VPN to out network and then join a remote desktop Both of them make use of a network printer Now one of them has a PC with Win and the other one with XP When they connect to the VPN though only the user on the Win PC is allowed to print the other user Local printing through VPN s job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints Both user Local printing through VPN s VPN permissions are the same as I asked the network admin and the printer settings should be the same on both PCs as I checked them Help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for a very long time with no avail Thanks nbsp

A:Local printing through VPN

the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints.Click to expand...

Wow, is that strange or what (but that's why your here too I guess). The fact that it is queued says the data path from the user->system->print queue is just fine - - and that says permissions are ok. I suspect that the users program is not closing the output file. Have the user try a simple test using NOTEPAD printing to the remote printer.

Next I would look for software updates to the XP VPN software and then to XP print driver for that device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-printing-through-vpn.189640/
Relevancy 21.5%

My computer running Windows Ultimate -bit can no longer access my Western Digital Caviar quot Black quot TB hard drive that s connected but I suspect my data to still be in there so I wonder what data recorvery tools people have used and recommend This is one of the additional drives to my operating system C drive It has been formatted as NTFS and been working fine for several months until with recommendations Data format, from drive please lost recovery software a week ago Now it appears as the E drive on Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please My Computer as originally configured but the volume label is now blank I used to have that named as quot Media quot When I double-click on it to Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please enter the drive I get the Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please error message quot E is not accessible The parameter is incorrect quot In Computer Management -- gt Storage -- gt Disk Management the drive appears but it s File System is now indicated as RAW rather than NTFS I have tried using Active Partition Recovery and that successfully lists my drive with the original label name quot Media quot and as NTFS and also lists the folders located at the root of the drive which is why I suspect my data to still be in there and recoverable However when I use this tool to do a full scan of my disk it freezes after scanning MB There are tools out there with varying reliability so whch ones do people here recommend another tool I trired I forget its name was scanning my disk but prediced days to go over the entire TB so that s out of the question I have been told to use a tool that can recover files onto a separate disk rather then try to repair the original disk and risk losing more of the original data Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please

Oh crap. Something like this happened recently to me when I had backed up some data to an USB thumb drive. It worked fine for awhile, then some weeks later, my PC just couldn't read it anymore (kept saying "disk in drive needs to be reformatted/etc"...and the properties for the drive also showed it as RAW format instead of FAT32 like it would have been usually).

I think the issue is drive corruption, which seems to be fairly common with external devices like USB drives, but odd in the case of an internal drive. The remedy for me was to try to access it from a different system, which was easy since being a USB stick I could try it elsewhere easily. If you can use another system to access the drive, preferably a Linux/Ubuntu based one; it is likely your best bet to recoup the data before its lost permanently. An external HDD kit would be ideal, and they are quite cheap also.

Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-from-drive-with-lost-format-software-recommendations-please.187901/
Relevancy 29.67%

So I am thinking about upgrading my cpu and switching over to intel but I cant really come up with any good reasons to buy a new cpu and motherboard other than my cpu is outdated and I would like to be able to record lets plays and gameplay. Are there any other pros to buying a new cpu? Like would the performance of my machine increase substantially or something?
P.S I was going to go with a:
Intel i5-3570k
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155

pc current specs:
AMD FX-6100-six core processor
16 gb 1033 mhz ram
XFX Radeon 6950
ASUS M5A97 motherboard
windows 7 ultimate

A:I am thinking about upgrading my CPU and switching over to Intel but...

Depends on what you're doing - if you do a lot of video encoding or CPU heavy tasks then it might be a worthwhile upgrade but if not then either upgrade your GPU if your main focus is gaming or SSD if you just want a more responsive machine for general use.

Unless your current CPU is frequently running at 100% there's no real reason to spend so much on an upgrade to a 3570K especially as Intel's next gen Haswell processors are coming out in a few months.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-am-thinking-about-upgrading-my-cpu-and-switching-over-to-intel-but.186851/
Relevancy 26.23%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-shows-as-local-disk-f-it-cannot-be-accessed.186348/
Relevancy 26.23%

Recently this has come to light during my own research into mobile GPUs that are currently available on the market as I ve been considering replacing my aged i - M laptop with M GPU I had switching technology mobile graphics AMD problems... has "Enduro" even placed an order and paid for a machine but after reading much about the issue none of it from AMD themselves other than quot For those with M - Enduro issues are also being investigated quot by http twitter com CatalystCreator back on the th of August I cancelled before the unit was completed and shipped This is mostly a problem for Clevo EM EM based laptops which AMD mobile graphics switching "Enduro" technology has problems... have no way of bypassing the Enduro graphics switching unlike Alienware products which have a hardware switch Basically there is something very wrong with this immature technology Users are finding under utilisation of their cards for example Battlefield person multiplayer AMD mobile graphics switching "Enduro" technology has problems... fps dips with AMD mobile graphics switching "Enduro" technology has problems... lower recorded GPU utilisation when it should be going flat out Even worse is when the graphical settings are lowered to try and allow for more fps to be pumped out by the GPU the situation does not improve It is as if the Enduro tech is deciding that the lower workload required at lower resolution or graphical settings means it can lower utilisation further This means that someone with FPS issues at Ultra settings can drop to Medium settings and not see any improvement in output Threads about this http www rage d com board showthread php t http forums guru d com showthread php t http hardforum com archive index php t- html And many others Facebook awareness page https www facebook com Amd mEnduroUtilizationAwareness ref ts Many owners of systems with M graphics cards are now concerned with AMD s reluctance to comment on the problems that they are just going to try and sweep it under the carpet and move on to the next generation of GPU with the next generation of Enduro perhaps one that works No one is exactly sure if the problem is even something that can be overcome with a software driver or whether it is a hardware issue that the Clevo based laptops are stuck with nbsp

A:AMD mobile graphics switching "Enduro" technology has problems...

The silence from AMD on this is deafening. I honestly can't in good conscience recommend anything AMD related unless they get this situation fixed. The fact that they have tried to silence other manufacturers on forums says a lot. I would feel much better if they were just open about it and said what they are doing to fix the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-mobile-graphics-switching-enduro-technology-has-problems.185018/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have Windows XP SP that would not boot to the desktop on a Normal boot The system has SATA HDD amp SATA DVD-RW partition HDD XP -- Windows lost data problem on Red SATA ports on the Motherboard amp Black SATA port on the mother board I apologize but sadly I do NOT remember if the DVD drive or one of the HDD was in the Black SATA port I m not REALLY sure I Windows XP HDD partition problem -- data lost understand the difference but The system would boot up almost to the desktop so I was able to boot up in Safe Mode Once I could get to the desktop I looked at the System log in Event Viewer amp it showed that the controller was reporting drive errors on Hard Drive NOT the boot drive It was happening so much that it was virtually filling the Event Viewer amp making it Windows XP HDD partition problem -- data lost hard to see anything else in there amp kept the system from being able to boot to the desktop It never made it to where it said Windows was loading my personal settings I have never seen a NON-boot drive keep an XP system from being able to boot up Once I made it to where I could see the Event Viewer messages I shut the system down amp disconnected the quot bad quot drive amp restarted the system It then booted up fine but when I looked at the event Viewer is STILL showed Hard Drive errors I thought that it might be a bad cable so I shut the system down again amp connected the SATA cable that was connect to Hard Drive amp moved exchanged it with the one on Hard Drive amp booted the system I looked in the Event Viewer amp it was STILL showing Hard Drive errors so I opened quot Disk Management quot amp it thought the hard drive that I took out was still in the system At this point it was actually in another room Disk Management showed hard drive errors so I right clicked on the drive that wasn t even IN the system amp chose quot Delete Partition quot amp that made the drive errors stop Remember THAT hard drive was NOT in the system at the time I rebooted the system amp looked in Drive Management amp it reported quot Drive Missing quot When I looked in Event Viewer it STILL had Hard Drive errors NOW I suspect that this is REALLY a power issue amp NOT a hard drive or controller problem My power supply has leads Has SATA type amp IDE type type power connector Has SATA type Connectors Has IDE type amp Floppy type power connector I shut the system down again put the quot bad quot drive in the system disconnected all of the SATA cables amp power cables Plugged the HDD in the Red SATA ports left the DVD uplugged moved the power cables Of course I figured that since there where SATA power connectors on one lead it would be OK to plug in hard drives Keep in mind that this system has been running this way for years with showing this problem although now that I think about it the boot drive has failed times BUT they were all Seagate GB drives amp I have had those fail in several other systems FAR more often than the Hitatchi or Samsung However the WD drives have failed just as often as the Seagate Since I now suspected that this was a power problem I decided to plug in only of the HDD in the SATA power lead amp plugged the remaining HDD in the SATA power lead that the DVD was using amp I left the DVD disconnected I booted the system NOW my question Problem The drive that I took out of the system thinking it was bad now has NO partition When I deleted the partition on the HDD even though it was NOT in the system at the time that partitions are gone I have not done anything else to the drive since I found this problem so does ANYONE have ANY idea what I might be able to do to bring the partitions amp my TB of data back In UNIX there are format commands commands that can bring back files because they re not REALLY gone the allocation table is just not looking in the right place or something I realize this was a L-O-N-G amp Boring story but I had to go through the whole thing to explain the problem amp hopefully get a solution Thank you ... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-hdd-partition-problem-data-lost.183526/
Relevancy 27.09%

So I just set up FreeNAS on my LAN. I have a Linksys router.... I believe everything is 10/100 but for some reason its transfering at about 8.61MB/s.

Now before I start posting all my equipment specs, would anyone know right off the bat what my bottleneck is, or give me a clue how to figure this out? I'm apparently not thinking properly enough to figure this out at the moment.

BTW, everything plugged in... so I'm not transfering wirelessly.

A:What's my local NAS bottleneck?

You're transferring at almost 70 mbit - your network is probably your bottleneck. Are you sure there is no additional activity on your network? You should be able to reach between 80-90 if nothing else is going on and the rest of the environment is lean. If everything is working absolutely great I would say you can even reach mid to upper 90's. See if the system sending files has plenty of CPU cycles available by opening your task manager. Also, are you transferring lots of small files or one big file? Larger files will transfer faster than a bunch of tiny ones. At most you can expect a file transfer speed of about 12 MB/sec on a 100 mbit network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-my-local-nas-bottleneck.180760/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi all I have been having a problem with my wireless intern network connection I have a sneaky suspicion that my service provider is doing all they can to not have this be there problem Sequence of events -Wireless connection intermittently stops impedance lost, connection Wireless problem...what? working - times a week for the past month -Service provider said it was probably the router -Bought a new router Problem still occurring -Service provider said it Wireless connection lost, impedance problem...what? was my wireless network card Told them that ALL the laptops in the house don t work Okay well then that s not the problem -I go look at the modem Power light-ON Send amp Receive- Blinking Cable Light- OFF -Told me my modem was offline Said it was probably an impedance issue Not sure what that means -Unscrewed the cable Wireless connection lost, impedance problem...what? touched the inside with my finger screwed it back in rebooted computers All computers working -Previous technicians said to unplug the power to both modem and router that works temporarily I m not sure what is going on here and I am no wiz with this stuff but I am now thinking this is either a problem with the cable line OR the cable modem I keep getting different answers from the cable company and they tell me I might have to have someone come out to look into the issue which of course I will be billed for Already paid for a new router How should I deal with this nbsp

A:Wireless connection lost, impedance problem...what?

The company should be able to supply you with a new modem to attempt a fix. This should not be something you are billed for, generally you should be billed if the issue is caused by something other then their product(the Modem) or the telephone line leading to your house+the demarcation point.. These are all things that the ISP should be covering.

Does this issue happen when you are connected by Ethernet cable? Or JUST wireless?

If this is limted to a wireless issue then I would say that it is an issue that is fixable on your part:

Things to look at: Phone lines(Filters on your phones)
Wireless Phones, Microwaves, any new wireless devices in the house.. Wireless devices can cause interferance with eachother. lots of wireless phones work on the 2.4GHz frequency, the same frequency that 802.11 works on (Wireless) If this fixes the issue, try each phone separtly to narrow down the issue.

To eliminate phones as the issue, you could disconnect all your phones in the house, and test your wireless connection and see if it improves. To make sure it is not due to distance/interferance (Physically) Set up the laptop within 3 feet of the router and see if any issues happen connecting to the router.

Microwaves also work on the 2.4GHz frequency at times and can cause interference when running, but this would be a rare disconnect.

Lastly, if this is simply an issue overall (Wireless and hardwired(ethernet)) then I would suggest connecting to their modem directly, ensuing there is nothing between you and their device. IF there is still an issue, replace the cables between the Modem (The phone cable) as well as the ethernet cable to your computer.. If there are still issues then this is left to the ISP to fix and should not be at your cost.

You pay for their services and this should include the service and repair of their device. Modems tend to break down/overheat and have issues over time, they should be able to supply you with a new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-connection-lost-impedance-problem-what.180395/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey I ve got a Dual Xeon Dell Precision T Workstation running Windows x that I use for graphic design and some music production I have up until last week used a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface for recording as well as my primary sound card I decided to get rid of the Fast Track and upgrade to an M-Audio Audiophile PCI sound card Here is my issue- With the Fast Track USB Interface I have always network local when performing only PC downloads Static in sound, had a noticeable Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads static popping sound when any audio is playing while I am transferring files on my local network- but I have isolated it specifically to copying files from anywhere on my local network to this PC- so only downloading to this computer I didn t pay much attention to it as I thought that was the price that was to be payed because of using a USB sound card After I installed the Audiophile I am still getting this popping sound on network downloads Just to test I pulled out the Audiophile enabled the on-board sound card and the popping was still there with the on-board sound card Any idea what could be causing this My network adapter is the Broadcom on-board Gigabit LAN card The only other PCI or PCI-e cards I have installed are the Nvidia Quadro Video Adapter and a SIIG USB PCI Card I have taken this out and the popping is still there All of PCI bus components were different when I started hearing the popping from the Fast Track Pro so I don t suspect that any of those items would be the culprit When the popping first started nothing was even in the PCI PCI-e bus except for my old Quadro video card which I took out months ago and swapped for the Quadro I guess what I m trying to say is that most of the components have been removed or swapped and the sound continues I have the onboard sound card disabled normally so I know that also isn t causing it To describe the popping static it doesn t make the noise until I m downloading something and there is a system noise playing or I have some other audio going YouTube Video MP played locally whatever So if I was to download a file locally and not play any sounds then you would never know that anything was happening The speakers I m using are KRK Rokit Active Studio Monitors so even if there was any background static I would hear it These monitors are connected to the computer via a Balanced TRS input so I don t even have any normal line quot hum quot at high volumes- so that is how I can tell there is absolutely no static or popping until the PC plays it s own audio Also- I ve tried reproducing the problem by playing audio and downloading a file from the internet It won t produce the popping sound at all Here is my system info Dell Precision T Workstation Windows x Ultimate Service Pack Intel Xeon CPU E GHz amp GHz Processors Intel x Motherboard Intel ICH R Family Controllers I O Hub PCI Express Root Storage GB RAM Nvidia Quadro M-Audio Delta Audiophile Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller That s everything I have hooked up right now- anymore questions and I ll be glad to post what I know I m hoping that this is something common that I just couldn t find in my searches on google Any help advice you could offer I would appreciate it One last thing- I uninstalled and updated all of my system drivers days ago to see if that would stop the problem It didn t change anything Thanks -Ben nbsp

A:Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads

Did you uninstall your old sound drivers? Are you using ASIO drivers? Im assuming the M-Audio card already has ASIO built-in? Do you get the pop/static when using the onboard sound? You should stick to XP for music production. Even a dual boot WIN 7/XP setup. Im into music production as well and all of my problems stopped when I ran everything on XP. You can try using virtual XP on Win 7 and see if it helps anything. What DAW are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/static-in-pc-sound-only-when-performing-local-network-downloads.175964/
Relevancy 26.66%

I just upgraded to Win7. In this PC I have 2 HDD, one C drive which works fin, and one additional HDD which I'm able to see in BIOS and Device Manager, but it do not show up in Explorer.
How to get it visible?
Thanks

A:Can't find local installed HDD

Right click my computer > manage, click disk management take a screenshot, post here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-local-installed-hdd.176151/
Relevancy 21.93%

Last year my Linksys WRT 600 routerkept rebooting itself every 15 minutes or so without any help.
I searched online for replacement router.
Then I found aftermarket non linksys software and loaded it first onto my computer, thn with a direct connection, onto my router.
Here it is a year later and the WRT-600 is still running unhindered.

A:Linksys router lost connection repaired

kdmedic1745 said:

Last year my Linksys WRT 600 routerkept rebooting itself every 15 minutes or so without any help.
I searched online for replacement router.
Then I found aftermarket non linksys software and loaded it first onto my computer, thn with a direct connection, onto my router.
Here it is a year later and the WRT-600 is still running unhindered.Click to expand...

Yess, there are two know firmware replacements - - which one did you chose?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linksys-router-lost-connection-repaired.175762/
Relevancy 21.5%

hi - i was just playing music on my dell latitude e4300 via bluetooth to a belkin bluetooth receiver connected to stereo.

somehow the connection got dropped - during a phone call on a land line. may be irrelevant.

now, i cannot get bluetooth connection back. there is no bluetooth icon in the system tray.

i cannot find 'bluetooth' devices in start>control panel> devices
--i have 2, and both ought to be there.

i unplugged bluetooth receiver, and had win 7 search for devices to add - no luck.

sure, i can reboot, and everything will probably come back.
but i am hoping for a better answer. i don't want to have to reboot every time the bluetooth connection gets lost.

i searched the web for a little, but only found unrelated posts, or posts with no answer. THANKS!

A:Bluetooth connection lost, icon gone from system tray, not in device manager

bluetooth light/icon on laptop, not screen is on; no bt

ok, i rebooted, thinking the bluetooth icon would again be in system tray, with the red in the middle, showing i have bluetooth capability, but that sound is not currently being directed to bluetooth.

no icon.

the dell laptop does have bluetooth icon illuminated on the laptop, just above the function keys - not on the screen at all / not in sys tray.

the bluetooth receiver is on, is working.

'add a device' is not finding this bt thingie.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bluetooth-connection-lost-icon-gone-from-system-tray-not-in-device-manager.175310/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey guys My internet provider has just recently been switched to Time Warner Cable They came by and hooked everything up to my desktop and my internet worked for that day The next day I had to call technical support and road runner services because my computer says I m connected but I m not sending nor receiving area Missing network connection and local controller any packets Road Runner took me through Device Manager where I noticed a big yellow question mark near Other Devices Network Controller Also after going through my Network Connections there s no Local Area Connection listed The techs responded that they couldn t help me unless I fixed my computer software I have already tried going through Computer Management and checking Plug And Play Services amp RPC Missing network controller and local area connection Services Any other suggestions are much appreciated I m currently working off of my laptop because I can t get online with my desktop Any requested information would just Missing network controller and local area connection be done by my usb flash Missing network controller and local area connection drive Thank you so much for your time nbsp

A:Missing network controller and local area connection

Open device manager. Uninstall those device with ? on them. Reinstall drivers for your network adapter.

What devices are listed under network adapter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-network-controller-and-local-area-connection.174762/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help. My dvd drive crashed when i was burning files onto a dvd. now all the files are gone. anyone know what i can do to access the files on the dvd? do data recovery programs really help? has this happened to anyone else? is there a way to retrieve the already burned files, or is it a lost cause?

A:DVD drive crash, lost files

No files left on the hard drive? What program did you use to copy the files to the DVD drive? Can you read the DVD on another computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-crash-lost-files.174358/
Relevancy 29.24%

MSI 770-C45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular High Performance Power Supply
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 - old video card
ASUS EAH6770/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 - new video card

Replaced failing Radeon 5770 with Radeon 6770 and now it won't work.

Motherboard LEDs turn on, CPU and case fans turn on. Graphics card fan turns on and then keeps cycling faster-slower every five seconds or so. No signal through VGA or DVI.
The problem persists even when I put the old card back in. What could have gone wrong?

A:Tried switching HD 5770 to HD 6770, fans just spin and no display

Any ideas, anyone?

Tried:

Reseating RAM
Resetting CMOD
Reseating both cards
Different cable from PSU to card
Dusting all components thoroughly

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tried-switching-hd-5770-to-hd-6770-fans-just-spin-and-no-display.174170/
Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-local-net-2-to-local-net.172565/
Relevancy 26.66%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have an older ativa router don't know the model number right off but it has worked fine and I have 4 hardwired computers wired in and on occasion i use my netbook for a wireless connection. I haven't used it in a few weeks and now it won't work. nothing has been changed on any computer. I can sometimes get a connection but it show packages sent but none received and wont work. do you think the wireless part of the router went bad and how do I know how to check. Please help need the wireless service for my netbook and my new laptop which would not pick up the signal either and i have no password or restrictions on it . They normally just pick it up and work. Please help if you know what i need to do.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-wireless-signal-on-wireless-router.170898/
Relevancy 22.79%

I read that to create a backup CD of My Pictures I I I Pictures think lost My should drag the My Pictures desktop shortcut icon to the CD drive shortcut icon and drop it there I think I lost My Pictures I did that I closed My Pictures and played the newly created CD I looked at several pictures Confident that my pictures were now safe on the CD I deleted most of the pictures in My Pictures Still confident I emptied the Recycle Bin Today I needed a couple pictures from the CD I opened the CD and Xclicked the My Pictures icon thinking I was going to view the pictures I had put on the CD Finding only a few pictures I realized that the My Pictures icon on the CD had opened the My Pictures file on the computer Can anyone tell me how I can get to the pictures on the CD As long as that My Pictures icon is on the CD I don t know how to get past it The CD is a CD-R so I can t remove the icon I m thinking if I could somehow disable the My Pictures on my computer I could get to the pictures on the CD and make a new CD without the My Pictures icon Or do it on a different computer that doesn t have a My Pictures program I m using Windows XP home nbsp

A:I think I lost My Pictures

It sounds like you copied the shortcut to My Pictures onto your CD. Double click on My Computer, right click on the CD you have supposedly copied your pictures to, then click on Explore. You should be able to browse your pictures. Or instead of clicking on Explore, click on Properties. It should tell you the total MB of pictures. 300 pictures would probably be couple hundred MB. If that's not what you see, then thing didn't go as you hoped.

At this point, you should prepare yourself that some of the pictures might be unrecoverable. Use programs like Recuva or Photorec and see what can be recovered. Better to install these on a USB drive rather than C: (assuming that's where you saved the pictures) and risk overwriting the "deleted files".

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-think-i-lost-my-pictures.170015/
Relevancy 24.94%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm missing the "local area connection" for a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Hence, I cannot seem to connect to the net.

Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Local area connection missing, Dell Inspiron 1300

Is your wireless working? Go under your BIOS and see if the WiFi is enabled or functioning. Download any BIOS updates, WiFi drivers update an etc.. If all is done and you still have the issue. Buy USB WiFi NIC Dongle and test that and see if you can get LAN or WAN connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-missing-dell-inspiron-1300.168709/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi, I have a current issue with my Acer Aspire M7720 desktop running on W7.

This problem started last saturday. When I pressed the power button, it doesn't respond. Only after much going through the process of plugging and unplugging all the usb and power supply, together with much spamming of the power button, then it would switch on. Anyone can help me cause I don't think this is a good way of trying to switch on my computer.
Thanks

A:Problem switching on CPU

Can you explain what happens when you press the power button please? Do you get any lights appear, can you hear the computer doing anything?

It sounds like it could be a faulty power switch, but need more information to confirm.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-switching-on-cpu.168077/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi!

First of all, I dont know if this is the right spot to ask about hosting, but since Techspot has helped me with a lot of computer related problems, I thought Id give it a try...

Anyways, Im about to buy a hosting plan from Hostgator, but I want to use one account to host at least 3 different sites (top domains, like firstpage.com, secondpage.com and thirdpage.com). I know the reselling account would be the most effective, but I dont need to have a different cPanel for each user.

Can this be done with a Baby plan? Im going to buy domain names from another company, but I guess that doesnt matter. Im new to all this hosting stuff, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

A:Hosting several sites on one account

that's all up to the hosting site policies - - don't hold your breath.

the Apache2 web server does this with <VirtualHost: ipaddress:80>
see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hosting-several-sites-on-one-account.167782/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi,
Last night when I logged in to Rapidahare, I realised all or most of my files were gone, and there are some important files I need to retrive it, and I had already contacted Rapidshare about this, their reply was :

However, maybe you find the files in the Trash Folder in your account. If they
are deleted, there is no way to recover deleted files.

I'm sorry for the inconvenienc

can anyone tell me how to retrive the files and to find out the date the files were deleted? or also the ip address

help help

A:I lost most of my files stored at Rapidshare. How do I get them back?

Maybe one of your family or friends that you share data with deleted your files...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-lost-most-of-my-files-stored-at-rapidshare-how-do-i-get-them-back.165266/
Relevancy 29.24%

I'm having some serious issues with my PC; I recently switched Motherboards to an M2N-SLI board with my Radeon HD 4880 graphics card. I updated my drivers and everything, but I still get crashes whenever I start a graphics intensive game (Portal 2, even CS:S) I'm not sure what it could be. Any help available?

A:Radeon HD 4880 crashes after switching to M2N-SLI Mobo

When you changed motherboards did you re-use the old hard drive? If so, did you reinstall Windows or perform a Windows repair? If neither, then try a repair first. If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall Windows from scratch.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-hd-4880-crashes-after-switching-to-m2n-sli-mobo.165104/
Relevancy 22.79%

Guys, I Just bought this USB. (Kingston data traveller 4gb) After buying the USB, i put some files in it and then removed it from the laptop properly. But when I put it back, the files are gone! But when I checked the properties, the used space is still the same but I can't seem to see the files I put in there! I tried putting a single picture in the usb and removed it, when i put I plugged it in the laptop, the image is still the there but the previous files I put there was really gone! Crap, I really need those files. Help please. Thanks.
additional info:BTW, I've tried searching the web and it seems that i'am not alone!

and also, every file i put into the folder i made keeps on disappearing whenever I remove the usb and put it back again. T_T

A:Lost files on USB drive

Hey guys, problem solved. All I had to do was format the USB. And I also tried to recover my files using EASEUS but no luck. My files are gone forever. But at least I've learned my lesson, Always back-up your files. My USB is fixed but my files are gone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-files-on-usb-drive.163268/
Relevancy 21.07%

Here is what I get when I type ipconfig all Host Name Tanya Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List gateway wire net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Realtek on Local connection Windows wireless says internet internet My Vista Only connection RTL B Wireless b g Mbp s USB Network Adapter Physical Address - -D -A -FF- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a ed a d Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -CE-BB-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C E B - EA - D - F B- F B F br DA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description isatap gateway wire net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.255.53.64(Preferred)Click to expand...

this occures when there is no response to the DHCP request.

First, disable the WiFi, cable a connection to the router and retry; what's the result?

While connected to the router, config it for the:
router address and DHCP range
wifi SSID, Channel
set a new admin password and save the settings.

Disable the wired interface, enable the WiFi and retry the WiFi connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-internet-connection-says-local-only-on-windows-vista-wireless-internet-connection.161510/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys, i have recently received a message telling me that a network cable is unplugged. Usually i have this problem with local area connection 2, but it always resolves itself while this one does not. I have tried unplugging my dlink and plugging it back in. please give me any suggestions! Sorry if this sounds dumb to you, much appreciated!

A:Local Area Connection [A network cable is unplugged]

Are using a laptop or desktop, if your on a laptop will say that because your not plugged in the LAN on your laptop which you do not need if it is wireless, but if it is your desktop and you are connect to your router it could be that the NIC card is at fault go into device manager to see if there is any problems with NIC card.

1.Also check your network cables make sure they are in secure.

2. Make sure your network adapter is up to date and working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.159744/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have just got a 16GB PNY flash drive 2 days ago so i could attempt to create a boot drive on it. I doubted i had set it up right so i wanted to start over. I formatted the drive, and now half of the space is missing. I am using Windows 7 so i tried using the Disk Management tool to try to find out what happened. In Disk Management I saw that the missing space still exists as unallocated space. I then tried to delete the partition so i could re-allocate all the space as one partition, but the delete option was grayed out. so now i have no idea how to get my space back.

So my question is how can I get my flash drive back to having 16gb of space on it?

A:Flash drive space lost

Gparted, Included with most Linux distros (I personally use Puppy Linux)

EASEUS Partition Master for Windows

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-drive-space-lost.159657/
Relevancy 22.79%

Well i m bewildered to say the least Was on my laptop Compaq laptop not sure which as I can t seem to find it on Ebuyer anymore until about am maybe Was fine then and has been fine since I got it back in September I think it was Turned it on at about pm today and near on everything has gone Managed to get lost? Laptop data onto my browser Chrome can t anymore and all the history had gone Can t sign into MSN as my contact list isn t ready or something like that Lost all the stuff I had on sticky notes and in folders Tried restarting and turned it Laptop data lost? off then left it then turned it on again still the same Had a message saying something like can t log onto user desktop therefore logging onto Laptop data lost? default user desktop happen twice though Really confused by this Just wondering if anyone knows why it might of gone like this By the way it s running Windows Premium came with this on it Thanks nbsp

A:Laptop data lost?

Can you restart your pc in 'safe mode'? (power on, then tap F8 key quickly) till a black screen with white text appears. Use the cursor keys to scroll down to 'Last known good configuration', highlight it, 'enter'. See if that gets you back to your own desktop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-data-lost.159273/
Relevancy 30.53%

Just got a new laptop and the hard drive is split in to two partitions C: which has the os and a small amount of memory(50GB) and D: (150GB). My problem is that everything I install or download goes to partition C: which is now full. How do I make all downloads installs go to D: from now on? I am using windows 7 premium.

A:Switching partitions

On most program setups will allow you do change the directory to where ever you want. If its not in plan sight the you will have to select a custom installment. if your taking about downloads from IE, Internet Explorer, when you download something you will have to save it as "save as" and select where you want it. If your talking about in FireFox you will have to look in the opinions, in the general tab you will see downloads.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-partitions.157690/
Relevancy 22.79%

I am fixing a PC (WinXPx32) for a friend. He has older PC with 40GB HDD. It is NTFS formatted, I have ran a disk clean up, and I have disabled system restore as well.

Windows folder (under root) is consuming 32.60GB when you right click > properties >size. But if I go into the folder and select all (yes hidden too) and right click > properties >size, I get only 4.78GB. Where did the 27.82GB go? Everything else on the HDD is accounted for and consumes minimal disk space.

The drive has 840MB free at this point. I am lost...

A:I have lost 27.82GB on my HDD

Try running ExplorerXP (i often find it pretty helpful looking at space on XP systems)
> Click on the Size column to sort stuff by size
> Note it starts the display right away but updates the display as it completes scanning the drive
> so give it maybe 30+ secs or so before to finish scanning all the folder sizes

/* edit */
Does it help? fyi.. there's also a MS KB about fixing disk file/folder size errors under NTFS, tho i've never seen it occur or had to so myself. I've always found the "missing" space

/* edit */
OH. just noticed

Windows folder (under root) is consuming 32.60GBClick to expand...

32GB???? That's HUGE!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-lost-27-82gb-on-my-hdd.156519/
Relevancy 26.66%

Let me tell you a bit about my set-up. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and my internet connection is via a Bt homehub.
My problem is every time I start up my PC I don't have internet connection.
The only way to get it is to go to local area connection and disable it, then go back in and enable it and then I have internet access.
I have taken screen shoots of whats happening.
Not sure if the file has uploaded so sorry if you don't see it. New to this site so having to get used to it.

Alan

Can any one see the word file I attached as I can't.

Alan

A:Local Area Connection

Assuming that's a wired and not wifi connection.

Before you boot, disconnect from the BT and let the system present the desktop, then
connection to the BT, wait 30sec and you should have a connection.

Your Firewall should be left active

Like to see the View Connections, but copy the text from this and past into your follow-up:
start->Run->enter IPCONFIG /ALL

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.156433/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi guys
I recently purchased a new PC from HP that came with an ATI Radeon 5570 installed. I don't like this card, and I have an older PC with a GeForce 7900 GT OC in it. Would it be possible to do a clean swap-out with these two cards? Do i need to download the GeForce drivers onto the PC first? I'm a newb and have never switched video cards out before so I don't really know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks!

A:Switching from ATI Radeon 5570 to GeForce 7900 GT OC

First you need to uninstall the ATI drivers and software, then you can shut down the computer and replace the ATI Radeon 5570 with the GeForce 7900 GT. Turn on the computer once you have it back together and get into windows. From there go to NVIDIA Driver Downloads to download and install the right drivers for your OS. After that you should have to reboot the computer and then your done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-from-ati-radeon-5570-to-geforce-7900-gt-oc.156425/
Relevancy 30.1%

So I decided to swap my computer's case for a another tonight. I believe everything is hooked up properly, all of the fans are running, lights are on, disk drive opens etc. But, my monitor fails to recognize that it is attached to a computer. I tried switching to another monitor and my TV with no avail. I figured it was most likely an issue with my graphics card so I switched over to the on-board adapter instead but had no luck there either.

I'm using the same power supply from my other case, a brand new 450W PSU. Everything ran completely fine before the switch.

I'm totally stumped as to why my computer won't give off any video feed, anyone have any ideas?

A:No display after switching to a new case

Although some cases do not require motherboard standoffs because they are built-in, are they required in the new case and if so, did you install them?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-display-after-switching-to-a-new-case.154874/
Relevancy 29.67%

My PC has been working fine for a couple of years then all of a sudden yesterday the PSU failed. The fuse at the wall had blown so I replaced it and then plugged the 3pin kettle lead back into my PSU. Turned on the PSU and "Bang" a spark flew out the back of the PSU and so did a waft of smoke. Now its dead. I bought a new PSU and rewired the internals of the PC and double checked all wiring. Plugged it in switched on the PSU. Turned on the power button of the PC and "bang". The PSU emited a pop and smoke and again its dead. Could this be a motherboard problem. ? Please help. I'm about to order an new PSU but I fear it is doomed unless I change my strategy !

A:Power supply (PSU) keeps blowing when switching on

When a PSU fails, especially in the manner in which you describe not only does the psus die but it can damage the motherboard, harddrives, etc. I would not buy a new PSU at this point until you can determine if the mobo is good.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-psu-keeps-blowing-when-switching-on.154351/
Relevancy 19.78%

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1. If I disable my Local Area Network, the internet connects perfectly. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I CAN USE MY LOCAL AREA NETWORK AND THE WIRELESS CONNECTION AT THE SAME TIME! Frustrating to the max! Any network specialists out there who can tell me how to fix this? Thanks!!!

A:Conflict between "Wireless Network Connection" & "Local Area Connection"

berkeleygh said:

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1.Click to expand...

You should know that x.x.2.1 is incorrect. For the router address shown, all devices that connect to it *must* be 192.168.3.x where x > 1 and < 255.

I would suspect that you have some static configuration data in the devices.

You want your router to offer DHCP in the range 2->32 (that's more than enough) and
you want all systems to use DHCP for the IP address and DNS settings.

Remove anything in the Alternative Configurations

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/conflict-between-wireless-network-connection-local-area-connection.154215/
Relevancy 29.67%

Intel Core i GHz Gigabyte GA-P switching video/audio Dual -USB G-Skill GB MHz PC DDR Trident CAS Kit Dual video/audio switching x GB Gigabyte GV N TSL- GI - Graphics adapter OCZ GB Vertex Series SATA-II Solid State SSD quot Drive Samsung SATA II TB quot LG Multiformat DVD RW Dell Ultrasharp quot monitor DVI from graphics card Speakers from mobo green audio jack Samsung quot TV HDMI from graphics card Amp and speakers from mobo SPDIF Win bit Hi folks Using the system above with my PC and TV at opposite ends of the same large room I have to switch over audio via realtek default device and video via windows display settings show desktop only on monitor or whenever I want to watch a downloaded film on the TV and then back to PC to make this post write email or whatever My question is how do I do this wiathout the need to switch audio and video back and to One solution I am considering is to get a monitor for the PC and use quot duplicate displays quot on windows display settings and get a pci sound card to drIve my PC speakers leaving the onboard Realtek audio set to digital output via SPDIF for the Amp amp TV setup I welcome comments on my idea as well as any other suggestions or ideas TIA Chris nbsp

A:Dual video/audio switching

i dont know about the audio part...google something like playing same audio on 2 different devices....but for video, u can use the EXTENDED desktop mode...then u can just drag and drop the video player onto the TV. and switching displays is pretty fast with windows 7, just hit WINDOWS KEY + P and a bunch of options will come up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-video-audio-switching.154308/
Relevancy 26.66%

hey

the last 5-6 days the network connection sometimes doesn't connecting to Internet.
usually appears after power the pc on. and happened while been connected.

Network- and sharing center
computer ------------ local network --------X------ Internet

sometimes it helps just pull out the cable then plug it in, other is, turn off and on the router, or deactivate and activate the network card.

also tried update driver, but that seemed to mess it more up so i went to device-manager and unistalled the driver, install it again from the cd to the mobo.

the other pc in the house is a laptop using the wireless with no problems.

my sys specs on button +
network card
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, driver version. 7.5.730.2009

router
Inteno X5668b

thanks

A:Unstable local network connection

Do you have the latest driver from Realtek TW. Also note sometimes these adapters go DUFF! Are the lights on the back of the card lite or flashing?

Go into safe mode and remove the driver. Even shutdown the system and pull out the card. If it's onboard NIC, then disable it and get a PCI or PCI-E if you have the shorter PCI-E slot. They can go bad. Since you have ruled out your router isn't the issue and you can use yoru wireless laptop. Then the NIC is the issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unstable-local-network-connection.152991/
Relevancy 29.67%

Im not sure if this belongs in this forum or the hardware forum so I will try here first I Switching drives hard with Vista recently ran into issues with my PC which after numerous tests and attempts to correct appears to be a motherboard issue - everything else seems to be fine This PC that just crapped out was actually a replacement for another PC Switching hard drives with Vista which Switching hard drives with Vista the HDD went bad on Now my question is on the older PC it was purchased in and came with Windows XP installed on it which was later upgraded to Windows Vista bit before it failed - nothing Switching hard drives with Vista was wrong it upgraded just fine This most recent PC came with Windows Vista -bit and the HDD is in perfect working order - it is now in an external case and all of the information is there just fine So my question is is it possible to simply put this HDD with Vista into the PC that has the bad HDD Would it boot Would it recognize the drive Both HDDs are SATA so there shouldnt be any connection issue I just want to know if its possible to just simply switch bootable hard drives and if so how to do it If this is not possible to just switch the HDDs what needs to be done to make this HDD work in the older PC Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Switching hard drives with Vista

If the connections are the same it will fit into your old case/computer. Your older PC would recognise the new drive no probiems, and essentially there would be no issues with setting it up to work...

However, if the hardware is different, it is likely to have a fit if you try and run it on your older computer. This is because your newer drive has software installed which it depends on to run with your new setup. Unless your old setup is identical in every respect (all of the hardware) then its probably not going to like having to boot up.

You can dual boot XP and Vista but to be honest I don't really see the point in doing it, unless you have very specific reasons for doing so.

If you have the media to restore Vista you could doing the following:

Fit the new drive to the old computer
Insert Vista disc and boot into setup
Do a full clean install of Vista

Firstly, you'd lose any data on the new disk, and secondly doing it this way would mean it customises the install to the configuration of hardware of the older computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-hard-drives-with-vista.150622/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have my internet connection saying it is connected but whenever I go onto firefox it tells me it couldnt connect.

ipconfig tells me it encountered an error, repairing connection tells me it can't get into tcp/ip settings. I have tried resetting winsock.

I'm currently not at my computer and I'm being forced to rush, so if you need more specific error messages just tell me and I will post with my phone.

A:Local Area Connection "Connected", no net

Post ipconfig /all
You may be connected to your LAN, but not the internet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-connected-no-net.149476/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi I have a problem with as far as i can see my graphics It starts with the flickering screen every time i try to run either Call of duty MW or Battlefield Bad Company In Cod the screen flickers just as the map starts and it last for - seconds before it levels out This happens every time a new map loads Now in BBC however the problem gets worse I had the same problem here but lately the game has started to freeze up on me resulting in a completely no access situation for me i have to manually shut down the computer All other functions work just fine web browsing other programs etc Here s my specs Asus and lost problems) graphic (severe Confused p q motherboard with Intel eaglelake p chipset Bios ami Quadcore Intel core Quad q cpu ddr - sdram x Ati Radeon HD mb running with DX Monitor Dell slimthroat quot crt generic pnp First i tried all the normal stuff Dusting checking the cables upgrading the display drivers etc with no effect I did a memory test using memtest Everything was fine I did a stress test with Everest cpu core v v v In the end i thought i d try a graphic stress test using D mark Now the irony here is that after about seconds into the test the screen started flickering again and guess what it turned all black froze up on me and i Confused and lost (severe graphic problems) once again i had to manually shut down the computer - I m kind of lost as to what the problem could Confused and lost (severe graphic problems) be Does anyone recognize this or have a clue as to what my problem might be Note I should mention that when using Sony vegas the rendering of a project seems to create the same problems and when using Particle Illusion i get it too almost as bad as when playing BBC nbsp

A:Confused and lost (severe graphic problems)

What PSU are you using? For how long have you been experiencing these issues?

Ati Radeon 4850 HD 512 mb running with DX11Click to expand...

The HD 4850 is not DX11 capable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/confused-and-lost-severe-graphic-problems.149371/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have an hp mini 1000 netbook with the admin passwords in the bios and win xp. It was my cousins who is no longer with us, so my aunt gave it to me. Noone knows the passwords. How can I bypass them or override them? I can get in as a guest but it is too limited. What are my best options?

A:HP Mini admin password unknown

You need to talk to HP, after changing the registered ownership, and may need a document about the fate of the previous owner. You may have to send it to a certified HP service center with a formal notice of change of ownership included.
As for TechSpot, there is a policy to not provide assistance with passwords.
What you want to do is usually very difficult in the best of circumstances.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-mini-admin-password-unknown.148971/
Relevancy 30.1%

I have my modem plugged into the computer and everythings running fine. I want to plug the modem into the router, router into computer and get that up and running. I'm running XP. The router connection will be wired, its an older computer.

A:Switching from modem to router

What's your question? Setting up a router is very easy with the models out now. They have a fold out chart and easy to follow instructions on the CD that comes with it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-from-modem-to-router.148797/
Relevancy 30.1%

Just got Road Runner Turbo, but my speed is still awful. I'm running though a wireless G and would like to plug directly into the computer and test it again.
I unplugged from the router and plugged into the computer but got no internet. I set up (or thought I set up) a new connection and got nothing.

A:Switching from wireless to wired

use the Device Mgr to verify there are no Red or Yellow Flags on the Network Devices.

Disable the WiFi device will make it easier to use the Network Wizard
CP->Network Connection Wizard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-from-wireless-to-wired.148693/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi guys,

Just want to find out how to get my computer to register the HDD2 (D: drive). I followed the provided instructions from Toshiba for downgrading to XP from Vista. The sheet said to select any option other than return to out of box state or maintain current partition. So I chose the only other option available.......which was remove the partition or something like that. Now I have 2 hard drives totalling 500Gb, but only one drive registers. What is the best way to sort this out......

Appreciate the help!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-hdd2-when-downgrading-from-vista-business-to-xp-pro-on-toshiba-satellite-p300.148361/
Relevancy 22.79%

I`ve formatted last time then I couldn`t find Network Adapter

I`ve GA-Extreme motherboard with win 7 64-bit

What do you suggest ?

A:I have lost Network Device

Go to the Gigabyte website and find the LAN driver for your motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-lost-network-device.147834/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have Vodafone Prepay Broadband so I do not have to plug in any cables. However, recently my internet will not connect properly. The Vodem connects properly but I do not get fully connected as the two pcs with a globe do not appear on my toolbar and no pages will load. When I "Diagnose and Repair" is when I get the message telling me that Local Area Connection 2 is unplugged. I do not understand this as I should not have to plug in anything but the Vodem.

A:Local area connection 2 unplugged

is it the vodem stick that plugs into the usb port? and please mention your operating system

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-2-unplugged.147533/
Relevancy 29.67%

this isnt a problem but more of a general question I m currently using a GB hard drive that s dying question switching drive Hard and have a newer GB hard drive on my desk across the room in an enclosure bare Hard drive switching question just got enclosure yesterday I received or hassled my best friend into giving me one of The Sims games for PC I installed and tried to play it but it kept freezing on me I m wondering if i can switch hard drives as i was planning play the game from the external hard drive to-be and if i can do that I might need more RAM that s no problem but will i need to reinstall The Sims or just let it collect dust until i can get a better laptop by the way yes i do realize that if playing from external hard drive i could lose information if the hard drive goes awry I think i can handle saying goodbye to The Smiths better than quot Psychology Term Paper quot if you know what i mean nbsp

A:Hard drive switching question

psych89 said:

this isnt a problem, but more of a general question. I'm currently using a 160GB hard drive that's dying, and have a newer 100GB hard drive on my desk across the room, in an enclosure (bare, just got enclosure yesterday).

I received (or hassled my best friend into giving me) one of The Sims games for PC. I installed and tried to play it, but it kept freezing on me. I;m wondering if i can switch hard drives (as i was planning), play the game from the external hard drive to-be, and if i can do that? I might need more RAM, that's no problem, but will i need to reinstall The Sims, or just let it collect dust until i can get a better laptop?

(by the way, yes i do realize that if playing from external hard drive, i could lose information if the hard drive goes awry. I think i can handle saying goodbye to The Smiths better than "Psychology Term Paper", if you know what i mean).Click to expand...

Wouldn't you be better replacing your dying 160GB with the 100GB drive in your laptop? Or is this what your trying to suggest you want to do?!?

If its 'dying', putting data onto another drive so your not effecting the capacity of the internal drive isn't going to help your problem.

I'd just use the 100GB drive, a fresh install of whatever OS, and then install Sims, but go lightly on other software and just keep essential stuff on it. I'm assuming your reason for asking is that your concerned with filling the drive up to capacity quickly?

There is no reason why study work, and games cant be mixed on the same drive, but make sure you keep regular backups. Memory sticks are cheap these days, even a 1GB would be more than enough to do a back up of your data after every study period.

I kept two 1GB memory sticks soley for backing up all my degree study work and materials, research, and well everything for my B.Eng Metallurgy degree. They were both identical, in case one failed. I didn't care for any other data on the laptop, just this stuff which is a nightmare to replace. Be wise though, I've had friends in there 3rd year lose all there data, including project work and with no backups your screwed!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-switching-question.147422/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi, all!

Our laptop, HP Pavilion DV9000 (Vista Home), is equiped with a wireless wi-fi card. Suddenly, there is no connection to our router, hence no internet. I went into the System, Device manager, to check the status. I could not find anything on the wi-fi card, just the standard network controller.

I tried to open HP Wireless Assistant program, it would not launch.

Can someone advise if it's a hardware problem, that the wi-fi card needs to be replaced?

Thanks so much in advance!

A:Lost Wireless capability on HP DV9000 laptop

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention. The On/Off toggle in front is glowing amber, no matter which way I flip it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-wireless-capability-on-hp-dv9000-laptop.146763/
Relevancy 29.67%

its a bit of a strange problem

my monitor takes about 30 turns to switch on.

basically the screen will come on and then switch itself off after a second or two. the green light on the power remains - so i have to switch it off and switch it back on again.

the interesting thing is that in that one/two second the screen appears very dull and no brightness. you can tell its working again by the image on the screen being bright.

is it that the monitor's shelf life is over or is there something more?

i did update the drivers but uninstalling them hasnt helped.

its a belinea 19 25 s1w

i've emailed the company and they've basically said they're not responsible as it was made by the previous owners (maxdata) who went into receivership and its based in germany.

A:Monitor not warming up? tft screen switching itself off

Are you using a graphics card? If so, then there could be a problem with it. Is it possible for you to test the monitor on another system (maybe a friend's)?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-not-warming-up-tft-screen-switching-itself-off.145963/
Relevancy 22.36%

hi all, i firstly are pretty new to computers!, but recently i reinstalled xp home edition, but on completion i found in device manager some features had ? in yellow, sm bus controller, unknown device,video controller, video controller (vga compatable), & my pc is not running correctly at all i think due to these missing drivers?! can anyone please shed some light where i have gone wrong? thank you

A:Recent reinstall lost drivers help

Reinstalling Windows will require the installation of those drivers. You didn't do anything wrong. It just is. Go to the PC manufacturer's (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) for most of those drivers if you don't have a driver CD. If the PC is self built or custom built, then go to the motherboard maker's website for those drivers. Go to the graphics card maker's website for graphics drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recent-reinstall-lost-drivers-help.145645/
Relevancy 21.93%

CD amp DVD drives don t have recording tabs Help OK here s what is going XP, CD's drives tabs can't 'Properties' lost anymore! DVD & burn in CD on Several weeks ago don t remember exactly when mid or late January I was fooling around amp installed some programs so I could convert songs from my phone to a format my computer could read Didn t work I uninstalled it Then a bit later I downloaded a program to ID music by playing it over speaker into the microphone to id a song Uninstalled it too I know one of these programs again don t remember told me to change my default record media from the drive to I think a virtual CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore! drive Anyway I think this is what has caused my problem which is I can no longer get CD-R s to burn I have a Dell DImension with Windows XP and when I try to use Media Player to burn songs CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore! to a CD it looks as if it is going thru the process but doesn t do it XP and media player recognize the drives and I can play CD s or DVD s just can t get the computer to remember that yes these drives are capable of recording Also when I put a blank CD-R into either drive they show under properties to be full and have CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore! no space left on them even though they are new When I go to properties on both drives there is no recording tab so I cannot enable recording I have Googled around and here is what I have tried to do to fix it I used the Microsoft site s suggestion to edit the registry and change the drive values from to or No help I made sure the IMAPI value in Admin Services was on automatic and I force started it No help I went back to the registry and deleted the high filters and low filters in the registry file related to the drives No help I uninstalled the drives in device manager logged off and logged on to reinstall but they already had No help I uninstalled the drives and immediately went to new hardware wizard It found them and installed them No help I reinstalled Nero my burning software No help I went back to Microsoft s site and used the automatic Fix It wizard but it said both drives were not capable of recording bogus since I ve burned I don t know how many CD s since I got this computer in mid I probably forgot some stuff since I have been at this all afternoon and evening but I m really frustrated Both drives were working great forever so I guess when I installed those programs I mentioned earlier it jacked up something I don t think I ve tried to burn any CD s since I got rid of both of those programs up until today when I discovered the problem Thing is I CAN T remember which program had me change the record or burn to feature I think it changed it from the E and D drive to something else but don t remember where or how Yeah I know it was stupid to not write it down and yeah I regret screwing with either program But I d really like some help here if anyone can I appreciate it nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drives-lost-properties-tabs-in-xp-cant-burn-cds-anymore.144176/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi guys,

noob here hope someone can help me..

i physically took out my hard drive from my desktop computer and connected it to a HDD dock to transfer data to my laptop.

when i put the hard drive back inside my desktop computer, C:\ and D:\ appears as a folder instead and cannot open when i double click. i have to right click and click open for it to work.

so i did a format on D:\ because there's no data in it originally and now it's back to the original D:\ hard disk icon and works fine when i double click it. but i have alot of valuable info in C:\ that's too large to transfer anywhere else to format.

does anyone know a way to restore the C:\ icon back to the original hard drive icon and double click works without wiping out the data?

A:Local disk drive C:\ appearing as a folder!

read this post there may

read this post there may be some similar problems / fixes for you.....don't forget to use the Micro soft USB disconnect tool before unplugging any devices
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic60377.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-disk-drive-c-appearing-as-a-folder.143381/
Relevancy 22.36%

I know that there are lots of posts on this, but none have helped.

The computer says that everything is working fine, but there is no sound from either the headphone jack or the speakers.

Recently reinstalled windows xp.

Dell Dimension 4600

From the dell site I have reinstalled the drivers for chipset, bios, and audio. Nothing has worked. There are no conflicts that can be seen. Nothing is on mute.

there are 2 audio drivers that I installed:

SoundMax Integrated Audio
Creative Labs

I think that Soundmax is the main one, but neither of them is producing sound.

I have followed all directions from

the website computerhope issues ch000208.htm

with no luck.

A:Lost sound after reinstall of windows xp

See if Windows reports any problem devices

Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate a DirectX report

click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
Notice progress in lower left window corner
When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-sound-after-reinstall-of-windows-xp.143610/
Relevancy 22.79%

LookinAround I need your help again, I moved for a new job and in the process lost the disk containing the audio drivers you made for me. Here is a link to the post involved. Any way you can help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you !!

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123775-2.html#post733207

A:Lost drivers

You can probably pick up the audio drivers by running Windows Update in the custom mode and download and install all critical and hardware updates listed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-drivers.143440/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi Folks I was playing Oblivion and was messing with some of the many mods I use with the game I noticed after restarting the game sound partial lost Suddenly that some of the sound was malfunctioning such as the voice dialouge and certain sound effects such as casting a lightening spell or a fireball After further investigation I discovered that I had similar problems in other games as well so I knew it wasnt just Oblivion When watching videos such as You tube I have music but no voice Also some of the Windows system sounds will no longer play but others will So in short I can hear music being played though that sometimes gets warbly but in general cannot hear any voice or special effect type sounds wether it be in games or watching YouTube Media Player or listening to ITunes I should also mention that at times the sounds seem to be trying to play like they re very faint and distorted but usually there is just silence Here are the basics of my system Windows XP Home Sp AMD x Processor Biostar TA GX A Motherboard GB OCX dual channel memory GeForce GT mb graphics At the time of the problem I was running the on board sound in the AMD GX chipset but have since switched to a SoundBlaster X-fi Extremegamer card Here is what I ve done to troubleshoot the problem but to no avail -Reinstalled the latest MB chipset and Suddenly lost partial sound Audio drivers -Reflashed with the latest BIOS update -Purchased and installed the SoundBlaster card mentioned above -Wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Windows with all updates -Downloaded and installed K-Lite Codec Pack standard and ran the repair options Which messed up my ability to open the Windows sound control specifically SNDVOL EXE I suspect that after everything I ve tried there must be something wrong with my motherboard I ve tried to look for specific sound issues related to my MB on the net but didnt really come up with anything helpful Any suggestions would be appreciated This board is only a year old and I d rather not go buy a new MB at this point Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suddenly-lost-partial-sound.140603/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi, I have a fujitsu laptop,,,,which I used to use which my modern via local arena connection,,,but 1 day my friend did something to it and now when I connect the jak the pc does not connect?????now I can't see local area network on my network places,,What happens how can I get it back to work. Br gsmnikki

A:Local area connection help

If you can't see the LAN connection listed under Network Connections, your friend probably uninstalled the driver.

1) Open Device Manager. Do you see the network adapter? Rt click and uninstall
2) Now go to the support site for your computer (e.g. Dell, HP, ASUS, etc) download the network driver and reinstall it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-help.139474/
Relevancy 21.93%

I recently lost complete Lost (via ftp ability localhost IE) internet access / / access to the internet localhost via my browsers and the ability to connect out via ftp I ve been able to quot fix quot Lost internet (via IE) / localhost access / ftp ability the internet access with firefox but not IE I can ping but not Lost internet (via IE) / localhost access / ftp ability local host In firefox and IE when I attempt to access localhost page I m using IIS I receive HTTP Error The service is unavailable When I attempt to use ftp I receive Status Connection attempt failed with quot EAI FAIL - Nonrecoverable failure in name resolution quot Error Could not connect to server I ve used netsh but seems to no avail as I can not even locate the log file any place on my pc I ve updated IE to my ftp client but still no fix I m not very familiar with this your help would really be appreciated I just spent several days working on this with Kimsland in the malware section topic recommended I move here now nbsp

A:Lost internet (via IE) / localhost access / ftp ability

edited....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-internet-via-ie-localhost-access-ftp-ability.139311/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi,

What happen to my rapidshare premium account... almost 5 days, download is very slow...15kbps and finally gone... Normally, i got 212kbps.

A:Rapidshare Premium Account

Tell us more. What is a Rapidshare Premium Account?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rapidshare-premium-account.138275/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi everyone. How do i go about getting my laptop in use again?
I have found the mainboard battery, but can't get to any jumper to cut the power. It realy doesn't seem to be ment to be pulled out.
Does anyone know a masterpassword for my laptop?
Does anyone know of an instructionsmanual for realy disassembeling the laptop?
I hope you can help me

A:Packard Bell Easynote R1995. Lost boot and HDD passwords

Masterpassword does not exist. You or the previous owner set it . It is not something that Packard Bell does.
TechSpot does not help with password problems.
The Battery is on a cable that can be cut and redesigned to have plug-in wires.
There is no instruction manual, except at the Packard Bell site in England.

There is no way to recover a HDD password, that I know of...

In my opinion, the Packard Bell is one of the worst of all laptop investments, with several levels of bad technology and unreliability. I would start out by fixing up a better computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/packard-bell-easynote-r1995-lost-boot-and-hdd-passwords.138291/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a Dell Latitude D630. It has an admin password for the bios. Nothing is locked except for the settings. I can't change any of the settings in the bios. It lets me boot to windows just fine though. My question is, since I don't know that admin password for the bios, if I upgrade the bios firmware, will the admin password be deleted? Since I'm flashing the bios, I would think that all the settings will be lost. Is that the case?

A:Will upgrading the bios firmware on a Latitude D630 delete the bios admin password?

What?

Didn't you reply here, and say it worked (after the unusual 9th try ) http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic109612-109.html#post747024

Awfully strange!

A bios update can't remove passwords. As You Must Know

Oh and thanks for the extended long Title. I'm thinking this Topic of yours would be best removed? What do you think?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-upgrading-the-bios-firmware-on-a-latitude-d630-delete-the-bios-admin-password.138281/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello, my external hard drive has lost it's format. It was a 1 terabyte NTFS drive, now it's a 1 terabyte unnalocated drive. It has loads of stuff on it and I would like it back.
I have used several DOS programs and a couple of them could see the files and folders but crashed when trying to retrieve them.
When using Runtime's GetDataBack for NTFS, I can see all the files and folders in all their glory and the program lets me save them to another drive but the actual "save" does nothing.
Any help greatly appreciated
Regards
Paul

A:Hard Drive has lost its format

I use EASEUS Partition Recovery Free 2008. I don't know the limitations of what they are offering for free downloads now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-has-lost-its-format.137421/
Relevancy 27.09%

Please help on local networking on local area lan networking
with picture please help me thanks

A:Please help on local networking

What operating systems are running on the computers you are trying to connect?

And, on each computer, are you running Windows firewall or do you have another firewall product installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-on-local-networking.136229/
Relevancy 26.66%

I'm plugged into my router (Linksys wrt54g v8) and my connection still says "Limited or no connectivity". I'm running win xp 64 bit sp2. I tried uninstalling my ethernet connection. I've tried winsock xp and it didn't work, I've tried cmd netsh winsock reset. I've tried to repair the connection and it says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address" and I've also tried resetting the modem and router. Can anyone help me?

A:Local Area Connection Issues

Was your internet working previous to this problem? If it was, have you changed any settings? Theres a way you can set a static IP, and that would stop your IP from renewing. Also, are there any other computers working on the network?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-issues.134305/
Relevancy 25.8%

greetings from South Africa,
I am very new to forums and do not know the correct protocol.
So be gentle with me?
I have a KM4AM Motherboard and the drivers etc.
I bought and installed two LG super multi DVD drives.
When connecting it up I noticed that there was a cable connected to the old secondart CD dive and appeared to go to the motherboard??
I do not know if I unplugged it - however I get the title of my thread when I boot up.
It says 'new found hardware' - Parrallel device'

Any suggestions please

A:Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged

The "Parallel" device is the port driver for your LG DVD drives. You have 2 parallel ports on the motherboard. The blue port is for IDE hard drives. The white port is for your IDE (parallel) DVD drives. How are you connecting to the Internet? The "Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged" message indicates that there is no network cable connected to the motherboards network port. Your Cable or DSL modem attaches to this port

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.134325/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi, everyone
I have an serious problem, ive buy an hp 6730B on ebay but when i want to upgrade the bios, my computer wants an administrator password for the flash.
The seller told me he have maybe do an error of typing, beacause his password don't work.
this computer is an compaq 6730B
S/n : CNU8466GNS
P/n : GB987ET#ABF
Service tag : C6730bUP8400W5X16GIBNNF20Qa

Thank you

A:HP 6730B bios admin password problem

hi,
I asked for the same problem in this forum but my threat was deleted with the suggestion to read the Forum FAQs.
I read them but I didn't find why they did it. So I want repeat the question adding it to the yours one:

HP CompaQ nx9005
hash code [ 15656]
I need the system password

I wrote and I just wrote again at the hp forum about it whitout any help, and the hp chat doesn't start because of a bag (I'm not the only one having this problem).

I read all messages of the reference topic about the same problem (as suggested) but I didn't find my needs.
I think I will have to ask about it a lot of time. Hope to find someone who can help me.
thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-6730b-bios-admin-password-problem.132944/
Relevancy 30.53%

My E: has a free 12 gigs and I was wondering if I could somehow switch that to my C: The C: doesn't have enough memory to complete the task I have to do. Thanks.

A:Switching memory

Your E and your C are what and what?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-memory.132833/
Relevancy 26.23%

OK, my subject line might sound cryptic! Here is my set up: first router (main) is connected to the cable modem and provides std addresses as 192.168.1.2 (base is 192.168.1.1) etc. I have a second router (same brand) as a gateway connected to my main. This second router base address is 10.10.10.1 and all that are connected to this one have manually provided IP addresses (such as 10.10.0.2, etc). The main one provides WIFI access as for the second one do not.

Now my question: from my laptop who uses the WIFI network, how can I reach or connect to the other network (the one that is managed with the router with the 10.10.10.1 address? The purpose? I would like to access the computer connected to it as if they were part of the WIFIed network. And be able to access the router management page. Any clue?

A:Cascading routers - how to access admin features from one to the other?

first some basics;

examine the router (the box itself). everything attached to a LAN slot will default to
routing upwards using the WAN slot -- that's a big clue as to what the routing tables looks like.

second; to manage the configuration of a specific router:
a) WIRE a system directly to it
b) login to the router config page using the current router's ip-address

if your network is
modem---router#1----router#2---router#3

then a system attached to routerX will route upward to router(X-1) and NOT downward to router(X+1)

if you wish to have ALL systems (wired and wireless) see and share with each other, then you have too many distinct address.
Leave router#1 as is. disconnect router#2 from #1 and wire router#1 to a LAN port on router#2, leaving its WAN port empty. Log into router#2 and disable DHCP.

Now do the same for the wire from #2-->#3 and disable#3 DHCP.

All systems (wired or WiFi) will get ip-assignments from router#1 and will be able to
ping and share files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cascading-routers-how-to-access-admin-features-from-one-to-the-other.130510/
Relevancy 29.67%

Help needed!

I had 2 Dell Latitude C610 and between the 2 only one decent computer (one good hard drive and one good hard ware). So I loaded all the data onto the good hard drive and removed both hard drives and swapped them so all the good components were together. This was a silly thing to do.

Now when I start both up the option for start normally, safe mode etc. comes up and in all start up modes a blue screen appears and disappears before I can read it. Is this fixable by myself or have I ruined 2 perfectly OK computers in one foul swoop?

A:Stupidly Switching Hard Drive

This should be fixable, but may require some time... several steps...
For a 6-year old laptop... you gotta ask yourself... is it worth it?

Still, my guess, at this point, is that it should be fixable.

First step... Questions...
1. How did you determine that the drive was bad on one, and the "hardware" bad on the other...
Specifically what hardware was bad?

2. Do you have the restore cds (or original OS disks) that came with the computers?
If not, we may have problems unless you wish to purchase an xp pro from someplace like Micro Center.
(your original OS was xp pro, yes?)
If you have another os such as 2k that you could migrate, this too could be an option.

Step two... go into your bios, on both, and set up to boot first from the cd...

On the one that has the data you wish to save... turn it off and wait.

On the other... attempt to follow the prompts for a restore installation.
If it fails, swap the drives (again). and try the same on the other computer...
again saving the other drive (that has the data you want to save) for later.

What results exactly from following these steps?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stupidly-switching-hard-drive.130991/
Relevancy 26.66%

I am running a computer using Vista and I just moved it from one room to area fixing network help local Need my another Before moving the computer Need help fixing my local area network I had no problems running both Xbox Live and my internet connection on the computer My connection Need help fixing my local area network is a DSL service through SBC and it runs through a D-Link Router that has slots for ethernet cables as shown below - - - - - There are four immediately next to each other on the left and one set apart slightly farther to the right When I Need help fixing my local area network have my three cables one for the modem one for my xbox and one for my computer in the slots on the left I can connect to the internet through my computer as they are right now but not through my Xbox If I move the cable for my computer over to the slot farthest on the right I can connect to Xbox LIve but I can t connect to the internet through my computer If anybody could provide any sort of solution it would be greatly appreciated EDIT Is there a chance that it could be my ethernet cable While I may have moved the computer from one room to another the only change I really made at all was using a longer ethernet cable for my computer to my router nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-fixing-my-local-area-network.130889/
Relevancy 21.93%

So yeah, i have a Lanparty UT nF3 250GB Mobo. Not 100% on what goes goes where. Unable to locate a users manual online. The wires are as follows:

4pin white / open / black / red with the same 4pin connection on the other side

(Qty. 2) 4pin red VCC / white USB2- / green USB2+ / black GND with a separate 1pin GND

2pin red / white -> H.D.D. LED

2pin orange / white -> POWER SW

2pin blue / white -> RESET SW

Welcome to how to wire your mobo 101. Really need some help figuring out where these go. Thx

A:Need help with wiring Lanparty UT NF3 250gb mobo, lost manual

Try this http://www.dfi.com.tw/portal/CM/cmp...normal&mode=view&downloadFlag=true&itemId=472

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-wiring-lanparty-ut-nf3-250gb-mobo-lost-manual.129668/
Relevancy 21.93%

I went and reformatted my computer, (major issues with it)
Long story short I don't have any of my saved outlook emails etc.
Is there anyway of recovering them? I thought that I did find some but they are
only like shortcuts or it says that I can't open it due to the path etc.

Its for work and I really need my stuff. I would appreciate any help at all.
It was running on Windows XP and had outlook 2007

A:How do I recover lost emails and docs after computer formatted?

You will probably need to use a data recovery program. Most of these are rather expensive however, there are a few free ones around. I've used Pandora Recovery for a lot of clients and had rather positive results.

It is a free download and pretty straight forward to run

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-recover-lost-emails-and-docs-after-computer-formatted.130668/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a samsung Hard Disk, so well when I'm testing my hars disk the software show an error : X 03 Spin up Time the especific information it was attachment in this thread.

Please if you know some kind of solution, tell me.

I'll appreaciate your cooperation.

Thanks.

A:Spin up Time - Warning Imminent data lost is predistec

Are you having trouble with this drive? If not, this error could be meaningless. Does the Drive pass its SMART test?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/spin-up-time-warning-imminent-data-lost-is-predistec.130051/
Relevancy 21.93%

I previously set up a home network that worked..then all of a sudden it says Local Only...I do diagnostic...New Ip..doesn't work...disconnect modem..doesn't work...reset adapter..doesn't work....
The desktop is connected via Local Area Connection and I installed a Belkin Wireless Adapter(USB)...
My laptop Dell connects to the ad hoc network wirelessly...
They both connect to the network fine..but my laptop can't connect to the network
* I have already set the LAC to share its internet connection
I cant set the wireless one to share on the desktop..but I have the option to on the laptop but I don't think that would work...
I made my LAC public..I think that was the default...and the wireless Private...Please help!

A:Fix my "Local Only" ad hoc connection

public-private are Vista choices -- you need to use PRIVATE. The public choice is
for use at a hotspot where security is extra tight and Print/File Sharing must be inhibited.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fix-my-local-only-ad-hoc-connection.128228/