Windows Support Forum

How to enable bluetooth on my Pavilion laptop 17-e137cl

Q: How to enable bluetooth on my Pavilion laptop 17-e137cl

Can I enable bluetooth connections on this laptop, and if so, how do I do it? I would like to connect to a bluetooth external speaker. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to enable bluetooth on my Pavilion laptop 17-e137cl

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to enable bluetooth on my Pavilion laptop 17-e137cl

Hi, Sorry, it does not have builtin Bluetooth in the first place as shown: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04092019 Option: You can use USB-BT dongle, which is similar to the following one http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/targus-bluetooth-4-0-usb-adaptor-taacb75au Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/How-to-enable-bluetooth-on-my-Pavilion-laptop-17-e137cl/td-p/5854667
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a HP Pavilion laptop that was able to connect via wifi, or ethernet, just fine until I recently upgraded it to Windows 10. The problem did not start right away, but could be associated with my security software (bitdefender). The laptop does recognize the router, but when I look into the settings I see that there is no connectivity in the IPv4 or IPv6.

Please let me know if additional info is needed to further diagnose this problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-internet-connection-on-laptop.217570/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have an old Toshiba laptop and it is unusable and I was wondering if there was a way to factory reset it without a disk.

Model # - psk2cu-s5150

A:Reset My Laptop

I believe there's a partition that contains the OEM setup, but you need a CD (any) and to recover from the Restore partition

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reset-my-laptop.217201/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hey guys I have been trying to set up my tv so I can watch movies online... to say the least it is not going well.. I have been trying for over 2 hours and 2 trips to Best Buy to figure out why i have no sound on my tv.

My headphone jack does work.
There is a picture due to the vga cable.
I have a Y Cable plugged all in but no sound

Please someone help!!

A:Laptop to TV no audio with VGA cord and y cable

Hey, I've tried to set this up at one point.. VGA doesn't seem to give sound at least on some T.V's so if you have a sound input you could try:
amazon [dot ] co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vga+with+audio&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=8326471606&ref=pd_sl_2xe1bbnp3q_e

sor maybe you could get something like:
electgadget [dot] co.uk/sg/index.html?s=3219F6825E2CD6CA31C2DE7A93A69CF9&p=51679ce3738a69b94d40325e0e3d57db&m=1324951106152&a=/products&categoryid=28&stockid=460

play [dot] com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/20708900/Trixes-HDMI-Male-To-VGA-Cable-1-8m/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:20708900|prd:20708900

However I don't with to take the blame if any of these don't work

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-to-tv-no-audio-with-vga-cord-and-y-cable.175240/
Relevancy 16.34%

Its not overheating. I have already taken my laptop in to a repair shop and they assumed it was a virus so they reloaded my Windows. Its only 2 years old and I use Kasperski antivirus. When I took it back to the repair facility, the laptop worked fine with no issues. Made me look like I was crazy. When we got it home ten minutes later, it powered on and lasted about 5 minutes and turned off. For about an hour all we could get it to do was come on for a few seconds and turn right off. Never even completely started. It has already been determined that it is not a heating issue, this computer runs ice cold. Before I take it back for a third time does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? It happens if its plugged into the wall too. Could there be something wrong with the battery that is causing this? My daughter is disabled and uses the laptop for her school assignments. Its a Dell Inspirion. Please, any help would be great.

A:My laptop keeps turning itself off

Hmmmm. It could be a battery problem among other things. To test to see if it's your battery, I would take the battery out and just power the laptop with the charger. If the laptop stays on and runs normal using just the charger as power. I'd say it's safe to say your battery is the culprit.

Since the problem happens before the machine even boots into windows sometimes. I'd say it's probably a hardware related issue. Usually, it's almost always overheating in situations like this. You say it's not overheating, but, can you provide actual temps for us to confirm that.

Idle and load temps will give us the best idea of the situation. I would also check your RAM. Do you know how to run a memtest?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-keeps-turning-itself-off.197492/
Relevancy 13.76%

Just to start off I am COMPLETELY clueless and have no tech savvy whatsoever so simple language would be appreciated I ve owned this laptop for a little over a year and all this time I ve been able to connect to Wifi without a problem This morning the icon at the bottom left of but Laptop with Ethernet will Wifi, won't cord an to My connect connect the screen told me there was no Internet connection available when I troubleshot it it suggested using the Ethernet cord to connect The Ethernet cord connects them fine and the internet connection becomes available but I m still unable to use the Wifi This is an issue with my laptop because all the other devices My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord in my house are able to connect to the Wifi and the modem is showing all the appropriate lights and such I ve tried turning it off and on again but alas this once that method has failed I ve also tried resetting the modem and it made no difference Last night I was uninstalling various programs that I didn t need and that s the only thing I ve done differently to my usual computing habits I don t think I removed anything unless I knew what it was but it s possible I accidently removed something important I don t know if that has any relevance or not but it s all I can think of as the reason for this My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio and the system I use is Windows My modem is Telstra Bigpond Please help D nbsp

A:My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord

How far from the router are you? I experience the same thing occasionally on my laptop.
I usually have to switch the wifi switch off on the laptop & on then I reboot & I'm back online. My laptop & tower are both about 50' away & on the lower floor where the router is. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-wont-connect-to-wifi-but-will-connect-with-an-ethernet-cord.197531/
Relevancy 15.48%

When I try and access the internet through any of the main browsers (I.e. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari) they tell me along the lines of 'unable to access the network' and 'this page can't be displayed' after taking a while attempting to load. I also cannot access it through any of my Windows 8 apps. I know it's not an issue with the home broadband itself and is something to do with my laptop as it is running fine both wirelessly and through using an Ethernet cable on all other devices. I would really appreciate some help with trying to fix this asap as I have spent a lot of time researching this issue and trying most things to resolve it without success, I also need to use the internet for loads of coursework over the summer hols and cannot afford to be taking it to a pricey IT technician. Please helppp

A:My laptop cannot connect to the internet, even though wireless and ethernet are working

Take a look at the file
\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts​there MUST be at least a line reading 127.0.0.1 LOCALHOST
but the question is there anything other than comments in it?
If so, leave the comments and the localhost line and delete everything else.

If you modify the hosts file, then you also need to

ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-cannot-connect-to-the-internet-even-though-wireless-and-ethernet-are-working.195158/
Relevancy 15.48%

I m writing this post because this was asked so many internal speakers together your Make external & laptop play times over but nobody seems to have come up with a good answer People suggested Make your laptop internal & external speakers play together some trials of paid programs but that Make your laptop internal & external speakers play together s not really an everyman solution I don t know on how many machines my workaround will work depends on the audio chip I m going to tell you how to do this in foobar My system is Win I think that this will work only if you see something like this in your Playback devices right-click windows audio icon amp select from menu to launch it So if the headphone output is not quot Ready quot when nothing is plugged into it you will maybe be able to use the HDMI output if you feel adventurous or for that matter any output that you have You possibly have no idea why I m talking about that but this will be clear after reading through the rest of my little manual ------------------- download amp install foobar here http www foobar org download play around with it of you don t know the player download amp install the latest ASIO ALL here http www asio all com leave all install options default download ASIO support for foobar http www foobar org components view foo out asio double-click it fb k will install it automatically go to foobar file- gt preferences- gt output- gt asio Check if asio all is visible at the top list You can use the x driver requires foobar restart Add a new channel mapping Don t change the name you won t need it anyway click quot configure quot ASIO ALL window will pop up Enable advanced settings bottom right now there s the icky tricky part Click the next to all and enable all the outputs that you like sometimes the HDMI output is also there What you really need is sth like quot internal speakers out quot and quot HpOut quot On my computer Dell Inspiron R it looks like this IF YOU CAN T SEE TWO OUTPUT DEVICES HERE YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS Sorry everything depends on how your soundcard handles it maybe connecting the headphones will make it appear Try around Click quot cancel quot this was for other outputs to appear Click quot Add new quot Rename it to quot int ext quot or whatever Map lt channel name gt to the Left channel and lt channel name gt to Right you can play with that even build a faux surround with a bit of luck Play test signals if you re not sure where each channel should be On my machine it s like that Click OK Apply then restart fb k and go to file- gt preferences- gt output Select the output ASIO int ext Click OK Play your favorite piece of audio If you did everything correctly you should hear all the outputs together Meaning your internal speakers and the jack-connected headphones or speakers The sound will work ONLY fb k you will have to stop the music to use any other program that outputs sound ASIO overrides Windows output Most music files will work The method is transferable to any program that can support ASIO Leave some feedback if it worked for you Or if it didn t anything s good nbsp

A:Make your laptop internal & external speakers play together

Props to OP - I've found a somewhat related hassle-free solution for desktops with Realtek Audio.

In the settings, you can 'disable front jack detection'. Therefore, speakers connected to the rear panel won't stop when you plug something else in the front.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/make-your-laptop-internal-external-speakers-play-together.191124/
Relevancy 15.48%

I have an Aspire one NAV50 with Windows 7 starter.

One time, when I turned it on, The icon for wireless connection doesn't appear anymore. Every time I try troubleshoot it, it would just say that there is an ethernet cable unplugged. And so, I connected it into the ethernet cable and it works fine. But when I tried it again on the wireless connections, it doesn't locate to any wireless connection.

I've tried the ff on my laptop:

restart
update
scan the laptop with MalwareBytes
Fn+f2
by the way, last night, when I turned on again the laptop, the wireless connections can already be found. However, after few minutes, it went back to being unlocated again.

A:Laptop would work on ethernet cable not on Wireless Connections

I had doubt the Starter supports the Wireless connecting but since you say " the wireless connections can already be found.", so probably it's possible.
In this case and at the moment the thing I'm thinking about is the driver. Try to update its driver for wireless connecting. (You've said the 'update', but update of what?).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-would-work-on-ethernet-cable-not-on-wireless-connections.201158/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hey guys,

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEH15EN laptop & the OS is Windows 7 home basic. I have a wifi router which is of TPLINK.

The wifi won't connect to my laptop but it works fine on my mobile..it would only start working when I use the ethernet cable. I never had this problem before. I have tried everything ..I also tried the winsockfix.bat but all my efforts have gone in vain..I just don't know if the wifi router is faulty or the modem of my ISP...Please help me solve this problem.

Best Regards,
Om

A:Wifi on my laptop won't work but works when I use the ethernet cable

I have solved the problem by myself. To do this, first you have to disconnect your Ethernet cable from your laptop and follow the steps: Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the Wi-Fi networks. Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to your Wi-Fi network via wireless.

May be it will help you.
Regards
MD. MAHMUDUL HASAN

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-on-my-laptop-wont-work-but-works-when-i-use-the-ethernet-cable.200754/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi! I don't know much about this place but there's a problem with my laptop and I don't know how to solve it. My laptop won't connect to the wifi anymore but it works perfectly fine with the ethernet cable. I appreciate it very much if you tech geniuses could help me out. THANK YOU!

A:My WiFi on my laptop won't work but works with Ethernet cable

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wifi-on-my-laptop-wont-work-but-works-with-ethernet-cable.206652/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello, Im using Medion Akoya laptop, win 7 32bit.. The problem started 4-5 months ago when sound just stopped after a few minutes of use, and as time passed sound worked shorter and shorter, a month ago it worked just so I could hear the windows starting sound, and it stopped after a few secs.. Now I cant even hear it.. But when I plug in headphones or other speakers it works.. I tried reinstalling windows, playing with the drivers and sound options in device manager, tried everything I could find on google.. But either its my low understanding of what people say or just a different problem (I never found a post that had the SAME problem as me).. Please help me if u can, I want to sell my laptop and I cant do that like this..

A:Laptop sound problem

Update : I installed the soundcard drivers that I found for this exact laptop, uninstalled drivers that were installed with windows update, installed the driver I downloaded, system sounds worked properly untill I went to youtube and watched a video for like 30 secs.. then it just stopped like it used to when this problem first showed up..
Also I noticed that when laptop goes to saving mode, or whatever(screen goes black) like a black screen saver, and when I move the mouse a bit to wake it and continue the video, it has sound, but stops after a while again..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-sound-problem.216439/
Relevancy 13.76%

Hello I have a Dell Inspiron laptop I have an image of the entire hard drive that I created when I first got the computer using Acronis TrueImage and I d like to restore that image returning the laptop back to that fresh clean original state I ve done this two or three times before and it worked great each time But now there s a problem Normally I would in boots as when drive external but laptop hard Primary recognized isn't drive used connect to the laptop a USB storage backup drive that has the disk image boot the laptop from a Rescue Media CD created by Acronis then restore that disk image from the back-up drive onto the laptop s HDD When I tried it this time round the laptop s HDD was not listed in TrueImage at all I created a new rescue media disk tried it again and got the same result I then took the HDD out of the laptop connected it to Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive an adapter kit that let s you power up and plug in the drive via a USB port and external power supply and tried the same procedure using my desktop to run the operation Same result The drive was not detected by Acronis The drive does not seem to spin up at all Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive when it is connected Keep in mind the drive still works when installed in the laptop -- it boots into Windows XP etc When I plug the drive into my desktop the drive does not show up in Disk Management Start Right-click My Computer Manage Disk Management It doesn t show up in either of the two right-side windows so there s no way I know of to format it or do any work on it in Windows When I go to Device Manager Disk Drives I see quot USB Device quot for that drive and under Properties it is listed as quot Disk Drives quot for quot Device Type quot and its status says it is working properly So what I don t get is it works fine when it is in the laptop boots into XP etc but when connected as an external drive or when the laptop is being run off of CD the drive can t be detected and not on just one computer but multiple Is it junk Any ideas nbsp

A:Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive

It's a power issue. Had the same issue taking a 2.5" laptop hdd and attempting to hook up w/ a passive usb sata hdd cable. my recommendation is to use a powered usb sata cable. like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119475 having proper power will allow the USB bus to detect and power the hdd correctly. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-drive-boots-in-laptop-but-isnt-recognized-when-used-as-external-drive.174938/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello everyone,

This happened couple days ago when my laptop started to act like crazy.. It used to freeze but two days ago it shuts down when I'm in the middle of doing something like Photoshop.. It even shut down while posting this thread once..
I thought it'd be a problem with the windows so I installed a fresh one but yet the problem is not solved..
And after some search on internet I came up with some apps like HDD and CPUID Monitor and here's a snapshot of the scan, and I wish someone of TECHSPOT family would help, that'll be so much appreciated..

Thank you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hp-pavilion-shuts-down.216441/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello, I have a brand new ASUS laptop with REAltek and WINdows 8.1. The frustrating issue I have is that my headphone audio sounds as if there is an echo-like sound to it. More like a sewer-pipe. I have restarted the audio programs under computer management. set the default in REALTEK to 16 bit 48000, and all devices seem to be operating fine. I even uninstalled SKYPE as suggested.The test in REALTEK is also okay. Please, any assistace would be more than appreciated.

A:Headphone audio on laptop

It sounds hollow with no bass or clarity. I have adjusted the equalizer to no avail.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/headphone-audio-on-laptop.216378/
Relevancy 15.48%

Okay so for the past several hours I ve gone through the throes of attempting to get my Asus laptop s built-in webcam to work I took a on laptop cannot Windows 7 webcam the built-in Asus detect my look at Device Manager and had found two items titled quot Base System Device quot or something to that effect I don t quite remember and I thought that one of them would be the webcam Well after searching for the mystery items Hardware ID on Google I had Windows 7 cannot detect the built-in webcam on my Asus laptop discovered that these devices were in fact not the webcam Then I had used the quot Add a Device quot option under Devices and Printers in the Control Panel to try and find the webcam After letting it churn for ten minutes it appeared that Windows wasn t even searching anymore and I was staring at a blank window for nothing The only clue I have about the situation is after running DriverEasy it listed quot USB M UVC WebCam quot as a needed update but it also said quot unplugged quot beside the selection and was highlighted in red After attempting to download and install the driver the program had given me some Packard-Bell webcam driver that is most definitely not correct Packard-Bell still exists This had all started however when I made a clean install of Windows I had just spent the last two days scouring the web digging up my lost drivers and programs that had come with the laptop Everything s been successful save for this one element My webcam is lost somewhere in my laptop I just can t get to it If anyone has any ideas as to what s happened and yes I know it s a possibility the wiring is shot and how to fix the issue please give me any tips that you can I ve done everything possible in my power including trying to find the drivers but you obviously can t install drivers for devices that Windows doesn t even detect Oh before I forget my laptop model is Asus x v B if that helps in any way nbsp

A:Windows 7 cannot detect the built-in webcam on my Asus laptop

Was this laptop purchased with Windows 7 as the OS that was installed on it ? Or did it come with Windows Vista and you just wiped it out and put Windows 7 on yourself??

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-cannot-detect-the-built-in-webcam-on-my-asus-laptop.155636/
Relevancy 15.05%

Lenovo's VP of Design, David Hill, wants to create a new ThinkPad laptop that is heavily inspired by the old-school designs of popular ThinkPad laptops from the IBM era, stretching as far back as 1992.

Read more

A:Lenovo design chief wants to build a retro-styled ThinkPad laptop

I used to use one of those old IBM Thinkpad laptops at around that time and I thought it was the coolest thing ever even if it was terribly slow, weighed almost a ton, had a crappy pixelated display (~2ppi it seemed) and was about a metre thick. I loved it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovo-design-chief-wants-to-build-a-retro-styled-thinkpad-laptop.215825/
Relevancy 15.91%

Here are my current laptop specs:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r9.150322-1500)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
BIOS: F.23
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4000M CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

I am wondering if I should try upgrading or buying a completely new laptop. I plan on running mostly Photoshop with some minor video editing in After Effects. If I should upgrade, what would be best to upgrade to achieve a laptop that can smoothly run those programs. If I should buy a new laptop, I would like to keep it smaller and similar size to the 13" Macbook Pro. Overall, I would like to keep all costs under $800.
Thank You,
Tracker47

A:What should I choose for an editing laptop?

Are you having issues running these programs on your current system? Upgrading a laptop is not the same as upgrading a PC. One is often limited to upgrading just memory and hard drives.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-should-i-choose-for-an-editing-laptop.215964/
Relevancy 15.91%

Bought a new to me (used) HP TouchSmart tm2 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. However, after the first few uses upon start up I am getting messages telling me that hard drive failure is eminent. I did not get any back up or restore disks with the laptop so I would like to make an image or copy of the hard drive so I can install a new hard drive and copy the image on the new one.

What is the easiest, most economical way to go about this?

Thank you in advance and I apologize if this should be in another section!!

Rudy

A:New (to me) laptop, need to copy harddrive

Immediately back up everything of value to a USB Flash Drive because your hard drive can crash at any second and recovery of info off of a crashed drive costs serious $.

Can you link us to this laptop? There are inexpensive ways to transfer/clone your hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-to-me-laptop-need-to-copy-harddrive.215869/
Relevancy 15.91%
Relevancy 15.48%

My Friend has a HP Pavilion DV2000 Laptop. His display isn't work. Suddenly display gone. But I thought it could be Display problem not a VGA. So, i tried to connect an external monitor and used Shortcut keys to change the display. I pressed fu + F1 or Fu + F2 or Fu + F3 or Fu + F4 up-to F12. But no result.
I couldn't check whether it's a Display or VGA card problem. IS there any other way to check it. in addition to these is there any other combination keys to Change the display to an external monitor. I'm unable to check whether i get login or not. if I can login then i can use Windows Key + P. Then i can select mode. But I'm Unable to anything here. Please help me to find the problem and i have to take it to repairing shop.
Thanks in Advanced

A:Change display of laptop to external monitor

It should be the Fn + the key that shows a monitor symbol. If it still doesn't display, the motherboard video processor has failed, and not the LCD Panel

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-display-of-laptop-to-external-monitor.168817/
Relevancy 26.23%

I'm trying to connect my PC and my Asus Zenfone 2 with Bluetooth. When I use the "add a device" wizard on Windows 8.1, my mobile phone is detected, but when I try to add it I get: "Windows doesn't have a network profile for this device".

Also, when I try to detect my computer with my mobile phone, itīs not detected.

I'm using a Trust USB 2.0 dongle Bluetooth adapter (the little one you insert on the usb port) that came with a keyboard and mouse Bluetooth set that I used. Could that dongle be designed only for the bluetooth keyboard and mouse set?

A:I cannot connect my phone to my PC (Windows 8.1) with Bluetooth

The Bluetooth device seems fine as it already detected your keyboard and mouse. However, your phone seems not supported with the current Bluetooth device and you might need to take another look.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cannot-connect-my-phone-to-my-pc-windows-8-1-with-bluetooth.215646/
Relevancy 16.34%

I was playing c.s go yesterday when I started noticing the fps's were dropping to 20, when usually its at 100, so because its summer I remembered to check the pc temps, and I got these:
when im browsing internet:
CPU: 63C
GPU: 61C
MotherBoard: 55C
Fan speed: 1920 rpm
When I start playing some game (c.s G for example):
CPU: 90C
GPU: 88C
MotherBoard: 80C

My CPU is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHZ

Question is, the thing that's making me lose fps's is the heat right? And if yes any ideas how to fix it?

A:Laptop Overheating

Heat will cause a number of issues including system slow downs and reboots. 1) Do you have your laptop in a well ventilated place? 2) Are your vent openings clear of dust? 3) Are you running this on a good laptop cooler (please tell me you are)?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-overheating.215557/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello, often when i close the lid on my laptop it opens up programs and files that are visible on the screen when i close it. I have set my laptop to "do nothing" when i close the lid because i dont want it to go into sleep or anything. I dont know if this is a virus or not. i have used Avast antivirus to scan my computer several times and came up empty. I dont expect you to know exactly what is causing this but maybe someone here have had the same experience and might be able to point me in the right direction. Thank you

A:My laptop opens up things when the lid is closed

This could be caused by the closing of the top putting pressure on the keyboard. Set the laptop to shutdown when the top is closed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-opens-up-things-when-the-lid-is-closed.174403/
Relevancy 15.91%

I spilled well-water on my laptop a few weeks ago and immediately removed the power adapter battery and drained the energy from the motherboard I then opened it up as much as I could to dry off what I was able Backlight laptop won't turn on my to My laptop is an Asus U A and I am not entirely sure how to open it up beyond accessing the basics RAM Hard Drive etc Even when I think I ve gotten every screw the casing doesn t seem to want to come off and I haven t been able to find anything online about opening this machine The problem is that after one week of allowing the laptop to dry with good airflow standing upside-down on a wooden desk with a fan blowing I turned it on to see if it would work It worked just fine for about ten minutes and then the backlight started flickering like crazy and went out completely At the moment I am getting around the problem by connecting it to an old desktop screen I had lying around but I originally purchased this laptop for use Backlight won't turn on my laptop at school Any ideas on if I could fix this It definitely doesn t have a warranty anymore so I wouldn t be able to send it in or anything like that nbsp

A:Backlight won't turn on my laptop

Hi Aerebes, I really don't fix laptops; only upgrade the standard parts as needed. I did a search and this is what I found so far: http://screensurgeons.mybigcommerce.com/asus-u57a-laptop-led-screen/

Perhaps the video can move you in the right direction. I believe that they are also on YouTube.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/backlight-wont-turn-on-my-laptop.215525/
Relevancy 15.48%

Greetings!

I have an MSI GS70 laptop here , its about 1 month old and the webcam has stopped working,

It has worked earlier, Nothing happens when I try to start it and when I try to find it in the device manager it is not there.

Any idea what I can try?

Thanks!

A:MSI GS70 Gaming laptop Webcam not working

Ok I have an MSI GT70, did you try activating it via the toolbar at the top of the screen that comes on MSI laptops. It looks like a tiny paperclip at the top of the screen in the center, there should be once you open that toolbar up an option to activate the webcam.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/msi-gs70-gaming-laptop-webcam-not-working.197211/
Relevancy 16.34%

I recently found a Dell Studio 1558 in a dumpster, complete with a charging cord. The computer works great, but it's windows home premium system is out of date and flawed. A restore CD costs 20 bucks USD. My question is this: Is this computer worth more to me sold on Ebay for $110-$170 USD, or scrapped? Also, I am building a computer that matches my system specifications, and am in search of parts. Would this laptop have any parts that would be good to use in my computer? Also, would the computer sell for that much on Ebay at all?

A:What do I do with this laptop?

I forgot to give the Dell's Specs:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-do-i-do-with-this-laptop.215124/
Relevancy 15.91%

My samsung 16GB memory card is not getting detected in my laptop.
Even if I connect through my phone data card it's not detected. But it is working properly in my phone. I have been using it for 2 years.

A:Memory card is not getting detected in laptop

MerissaWalker said:

Have you tried it on other computers?Click to expand...

yes, even then it is not getting detected

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-card-is-not-getting-detected-in-laptop.210753/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hey Techspot I m hoping you can help me out with a little problem I ve lot down a suddenly Laptop shuts started experiencing I got a Lenovo G just last year and everything s been going great with it so far However as of about a day ago it decides Laptop suddenly shuts down a lot to start shutting down without any warning whatsoever It seems that this happens at random also Some times I can keep the laptop on overnight I like to have videos playing while I sleep with no problems and other times it snaps off after not even minutes Thus I can t really finish a scan with avast or malwarebites I haven t done anything out of the ordinary either I don t know if it s really overheating because I keep it in a similar environment as my Toshiba laptop that has remained on around the same amount of time with no overheating whatsoever I m running Windows on my Lenovo EDIT I thought that my problem was in fact overheating so I cleaned the fan area with some compressed air That seems to help a little bit but my computer still has a tendency to shut down randomly just a lot less frequently I checked the temperature with SpeedFan and upon startup my core temp is as high as C then cools off to about C when I m doing nothing The thing that worries me is that SpeedFan can detect no RPMs from my fan Fan Fan and Fan all show RPMs in the program nbsp

A:Laptop suddenly shuts down a lot

Chances are the thermal pads or the thermal paste on the CPU/video chip needs replacing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-suddenly-shuts-down-a-lot.179747/
Relevancy 16.34%

The more I look the more I get confused My HP DV - is over yrs old and dieing I want a quality built laptop and am willing to pay In the past yrs this HP has had its DVD CD drive replaced and recently the fan died other then new my laptop pick Help me that it has been a good machine I do not game but prefer a larger screen It is plugged in of time so long battery life is not necessary This will be used to surf email create simple documents watch movies uTube etc I Help me pick my new laptop don t think I even need a DVD CD internal player I would be OK with an optical drive I plug in when I occasionally need one I do not store a lot on the HD the Gig in this one is fine in fact a Help me pick my new laptop SSD probably would be fine but they are very expensive I guess a combo SSD for OS and Gig HD for all the other stuff CPU as I will keep this for as long as possible I want a late model that will handle changes in the future Again for that reason RAM should be gig for future needs As I don t game I guess an internal good GPU would be sufficient Networking I would want the best as I sure that will be changing a lot in the yrs to come I know I m missing some other specs but I think you all get the point Good quality good service I would pay extra for for at least yrs I ve looked at all the biggies Dell HP Lenovo Acer etc and even some gaming type MSI Alienware Eurocom Canadian I guess I looked too much as now I m confused and unsure I guess I would even have one built if it came to that Quality costs up to - and service I will respond if someone out there want to ask me more I hope I have not bored you with my small problem and I hope this is the place to publish this call for help Thanks Stan nbsp

A:Help me pick my new laptop

Hi, again I am looking for some knowledgeable folks to voice their opinions. I have to replace my 17.3 HP Pavilion dv7t, that is now 6+ years old and showing problems and I believe dying, in fact my fingers are crossed that it won't die before Win 10 comes out. I know upgrading from 7/8/8.1, probably won't be too much of a hassle, but if it can be avoided, why not. I've driven myself crazy researching laptops trying to fit the criteria I've established in my own mind.

Number 1, Above all, I am looking for build quality and I have no problem about paying for it along with an extended warranty and a good service/support system. I hope this next PC lasts as long as this HP, which is as main stream and commercial as it gets. But has not caused major problems over it's life. (fan, optical drive, normal battery stuff and the case is falling apart)

Number 2, I do want to keep the bigger screen, I've grown used to it over the years and the extra weight and shorter battery life is not a problem for me. 95% of the time this PC will be plugged in and the 6+ lbs, I can still handle, even in my "3 score and 10+ years". Touch screen not needed.

Number 3, The display, resolution, refresh rate, back lit or not, LED or not, glare or matte finish etc, should be above average but it doesn't have to be gamer quality, as I don't do games.

Number 4, CPU, it would be great to have the newest and best, but not for gaming, or 3D, or video editing, only to handle what will be coming down the pike over the next few years. Somewhere there should be a happy medium between routine usage and the ability to be ready for the new stuff of the future. Number of "cores", speed etc enough to handle my routine (media, email, surfing, videos and streaming movies/shows) with a thought to what's next on the horizon.

Number 5, GPU/Audio, here I'm lost, a fancy, dedicated powerful with cache, chip, I don't really think I need at all. Again, handle my routine and hopefully handle new stuff in the coming 2/3 years. Audio, it would be nice to hear videos, etc, but LT speakers are limited and I don't use extra speakers, so whatever is best for this given unit.

Number 6, RAM/memory I guess today a minimum of 8GB is the way to go, anything bigger, probably would be a waste of money.

Number 7, Storage, the only criteria here is a choice between HHD,SSD, Hybrid. Size, the HHD in this PC is 300GB and I have never come close to using 50% of it. (No music, movies or photo collection, just OS and programs/apps (and they come and go). I guess SSD because it's faster and maybe less mechanical problems down the road.

Number 8, Networking, now here I want the "best", I do travel and end up sometimes in out of the way places, so here, state of the art in 802.11 would be great. What it is I don't know "ac, n, whatever" and Bluetooth is a necessity.

Number 9, Optical reader, again I don't know, I hardly ever use the DVD/CD drive, but when I buy or get the new OS, I will want the backup media (disc or flash drive). That means when I have to reinstall OS or someone sends mean disc, I'll need a drive but I guess a USB plugin drive would work as well????

Number 10, Card readers, fingerprint stuff, docking station. not important. Keyboard, touch pad, mouse, not important, I'll use a wireless mouse. Connections for USB 2 and 3, MDMI, Ethernet, yes they are important and needed.

Number 11 Battery, Whatever battery comes with this PC will be hard pressed to keep up with a 17" display, as stated above unit will be plugged in most of the time.

A big question: I got nothing against any PC company HP, Dell, Lenovo, Sony, etc. That said, it is very hard to get close to what I'm looking for, from these main suppliers. I discovered in my research, small PC builders, who mostly seem to cater to gamers, hi end business LTs, but some seem to want to work wit... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-me-pick-my-new-laptop.213667/
Relevancy 16.34%

Not sure this is the right forum to post this in so pls have me excused if it is not.

I am looking for a PC. I have a macbook air which I really like but
1. Need a PC for my spouse
2. Need to use the PC for me to store and view bike videos, music and photos. I have the smallest version of the macbook air but the hard drive is getting filled up and the 1100 for 256 GB storage is a bit on the high side, assuming I can find a better alternative

The PC will be used primarily for:
1. Surfing the internet
2. Streaming from the internet (youtube, netflix etc)
3. Storage and viewing of videos (probably about 50 GB)
4. Storage of photos and music (not sure how much but probably that of a typical family)
5. Word, excel, ppt

The PC will be moved around the house but not used for travel except for now and then - so size and portability not a key criteria

Would like, if possible, to spend not more than 600 USD give or take

A:Help me choose a laptop

Go for mac mini. It will meet your needs, also you already have macbook air, so it will be easy for you and your spouse. Cheers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-me-choose-a-laptop.214201/
Relevancy 15.91%

My Asus Q550LF crapped out on me. I was browsing when a whole bunch of black rectangles appeared on my screen, about an inch long. I restarted my computer thinking it just froze or something. I could occasionally get to the desktop page if I unplugged the charger but now it doesn't even turn on. It'll make one beep when I push the power button but that's it. What might the issue be and is it gonna be expensive? Because this computer has been one of the worst I have ever owned and I would just scrap it or something if it might end up being costly.

A:Laptop wont turn on anymore

How old is it? It sounds like it could be a multiple of hardware failures including the motherboard. The black rectangles sounds like what we call video card artifacting which means the video card is dying. But the fact that it is not even booting up could point to a failed hard drive. Again, it could be anything.

Asus is known for poor customer service but you could try giving them a call.

Do you know anyone who can do some diagnostics on it? I certainly would be checking out the hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-wont-turn-on-anymore.214221/
Relevancy 15.48%

Resolved DNS on other on one problem working laptop, DNS network computers problem on one laptop other computers on network working I returned home for the holidays with my laptop running Windows Enterprise -bit When I connect to the wireless network my laptop reports that it is connected with internet access but there is no browsing capability at all P P works Steam works but Chrome Firefox Steam browser give me DNS problem on one laptop, other computers on network working the quot This webpage is not available quot page telling me that the DNS lookup failed All the other computers at home are working happily My settings were to obtain an IP address and DNS server address automatically nslookup said DNS request timed out It didn t work with the wireless or the wired internet with an ethernet cable I set up another network by using my iPhone as a hotspot to make sure it wasn t an issue with all connections and my computer could browse just fine using the iPhone hotspot But it didn t work with my home connection The first thing I tried was to use openDNS s DNS addresses and with my home connection It still failed and nslookup gave the same quot DNS request timed out quot I reset the modem router it s combined unfortunately to factory settings and tried directly connecting with an ethernet cable again It worked for half a second and I opened webpages before it stopped and gave the DNS errors again I tried the wireless internet and it still didn t work I can connect to the modem router I made a guest network just to try it and I got DNS errors again When I reconnected to my primary network it worked for half a second again then stopped My next attempt to fix it was going to the cmd prompt and typing ipconfig release then ipconfig renew I restarted my computer and tried again but I still received the same errors with P P working like before I turned off my firewall and tried but it still didn t work Then I tried ipconfig registerdns restarted my computer and tried again Still didn t work At this point IPv has been disabled but it s still not working I restarted the modem router multiple times but it does nothing to alleviate the problem I have Microsoft Security Essentials did a scan nothing detected Also tried System Restore to two days ago got an error about how it failed Summary Using openDNS address Turned off IPv ipconfig release ipconfig renew ipconfig registerdns no virus trojan system restore failed None of the above worked Other computers at home using the ISP s provided DNS server work My computer works with other connections but not my home network Is there anything else I can try Thanks in advance nbsp

A:DNS problem on one laptop, other computers on network working

Fe3C said:

Summary:
Using openDNS address.
Turned off IPv6
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /registerdns
no virus/trojan
system restore failed

None of the above worked.
Other computers at home using the ISP's provided DNS server work[1].
My computer works with other connections, but not my home network.Click to expand...

Good work. The router is fine[1] so don't fuss with it anymore.

Look for an updated driver for your WiFi adaptor.

On any working system run IPCONFIG /ALL and compare it to the results on the failing system. Look for missing Gateway address or IP address like 169.x.y.z

Some concern re failing system restore, but that's not a networking problem per se.

Work on a wired network first and then move to wifi.
Empty all manual settings on the LAN Connection (get properties, scroll to tcp/ip, click property button - - check ALL tabs; delete everything.

You should be able to PING 8.8.8.8 and then PING google-public-dns-a.google.com.
This shows the LAN adaptor has connectivity and DNS resolution.

Now do the very same sequence with your WiFi connection.
Disconnection from the router and then reconnect.
Inspect IPCONFIG /ALL again to look for valid IP addr, gateway addr and valid DNS settings. (not the OpenDNS you had before).

ping 8.8.8.8 ; if this doesn't work, then the WiFi settings are invalid even before DNS is an issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-problem-on-one-laptop-other-computers-on-network-working.174565/
Relevancy 15.48%

Basically I think it s Laptop Samsung Ultrabook Series 5 Problems; been happening for a month now My laptop screen glitches - the images distorting and sometimes green text appearing - Laptop Problems; Samsung Ultrabook Series 5 before Laptop Problems; Samsung Ultrabook Series 5 righting itself and crashing The only way I can get the Laptop Problems; Samsung Ultrabook Series 5 laptop to function again is to turn it off via the power button or take the battery out and put it back it again It has also become slow starting up - taking at least five minutes before you can log in and then a further five before you can actually do anything The cursor sometimes gets stuck in the center of the screen - I can access things using the tab screen but the cursor won t move whether I use the laptop touchpad or my USB mouse The fan has also been sporadically speeding up before calming down again - even though I ve been doing the same thing for the past god knows when I ve done a boot-up scan using avast had a look through all of my files and gotten rid of any old files that I don t need on there in an attempt to create some space but I ve got about - gb free so I can t see why that should be a problem Nothing happens before the glitches crashes so I don t think I m causing it by moving it and so on About a month ago the charger port was fixed at a laptop repair shop and then the laptop itself was sent off to SAMSUNG to have the motherboard replaced because I mistakenly wiped the bios since one driver update shut the laptop off in the middle of the bios update so I don t know if something is loose and so on I m planning on selling it in a month or two so it s not that much of a problem but of course I don t want to sell it to someone if its being a pain in the backside I also switched from integrated graphics to a nvidia geforce graphics card that is in the laptop when I bought it so that might be why Basic Info Samsung Ultrabook Series Intel Core i GB Ram TB Hardrive bit Operating System NVIDIA Geforce GT M nbsp

A:Laptop Problems; Samsung Ultrabook Series 5

This sort of problem is tough to troubleshoot over the internet. It could be quite a few things that could cause the symptoms that you're experiencing. With that said, I'd probably start with updating the discrete GPU drivers. Since you did switch from integrated to discrete, this could be the main cause for the graphic glitches which is probably crashing the system.

Moving forward, I think you should download something like CPU-Z to monitor the CPU load and temperatures during the crashes. It could be that your CPU is overheating and could use some attention.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-problems-samsung-ultrabook-series-5.213703/
Relevancy 15.48%

Until recently my laptop, an Asus Vivobook with an i5-processor, touchscreen and a 500 gig harddisk, worked just fine, no problems whatsoever. But when I started playing GuildWars 2 it developped a nervous 'tick'. Let me explain: of course the battery of my laptop doesn't last forever, so sometimes I have to plug it in while playing GW, and as soon as I do that the screen starts to black out randomly, as bad as sometimes every 3 seconds. It turns itself on again, and there's no loss of performance (at least not a noticeable one). It gets worse: when I stop playing it continues to flicker on and off. I know that it's not a heat problem, at least I don't think so. SpeedFan detects temperatures up to 67 degrees while playing, but that's it, my laptop should be able to handle that.

Can anyone help me?

A:Laptop problem Asus Vivobook Q301LA

...ok, here's an addendum to my post: at the moment the screen goes blank every time I plug in the charger, and the core temperature is around 51, 52 degrees, so in my humble opinion it's definitely not a heat issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-problem-asus-vivobook-q301la.204938/
Relevancy 15.48%

HP G62-b80SS laptop
Many keys in the keyboard aren't working. I've successfully replaced the motherboard for this laptop because it went dead because of some dampness trickling going inside and is now otherwise working fine. It's been abandoned for 7 months. I've reseated the keyboard connector and cleaned it with a contact cleaner.
I guess I need to get a new keyboard, am I right?
Thanks!

A:Many keys in keyboard not working HP G62-b80SS laptop

Or the motherboard keyboard connector is damages by corrosion...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/many-keys-in-keyboard-not-working-hp-g62-b80ss-laptop.213407/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hello I m posting this question along with a PDF explaining what I d like to do in terms of upgrading my Toshiba Satellite e -a My questions are I One or more of my USB ports are USB How do I determine which are USB and which are high-speed USB II Is there any reason that my BIOS won t allow me to upgrade from my current TB HDD to a TB HDD I just bought and received in the mail III What s the best way for me to clone my current TB HDD onto my new TB HDD I have a number of Disk utility apps on my computer already but if you recommend something else I ll use it instead Once it s cloned do I have to do anything special in order to get it to work Or can I simply swap out the HDDs and it My Laptop Upgrading Satellite Toshiba e55-a5114 ll boot right up If I m planning on cloning my current Windows and putting some Linux distros on it in what order should I clone amp install IV Can I add more RAM to my laptop even though the official website about my Toshiba Laptop specifically says MEMORY GB Upgrading My Toshiba Satellite e55-a5114 Laptop DDR L MHz Memory is not user replaceable If that s just an idle warning how much RAM can this computer take What s the upper-limit to the amount of RAM How much would you recommend that would give a boost to speed but also inexpensive and made by a trustworthy V I m going to make this new HD HDD run multiple OSes including Windows and - Linux distros How much space should I reserve for each Linux distro s mountpoints If I make one partition and label it as home will all my Linux distros be able to use it I d really like to have quite a few different Linux OSes on this computer because I want to learn how to use it better Here s the link to the PDF with much more information about my laptop as well as all my questions about making this upgrade work as quickly and painlessly as possible http bit ly e -upgrade Thanks a lot Yours Ev nbsp

A:Upgrading My Toshiba Satellite e55-a5114 Laptop

koesherbacon said:

My questions are:

I. One or more of my USB ports are USB 3.0. How do I determine which are USB 2.0 and which are high-speed USB 3.0?Click to expand...

not hard, but mapping which slot on the box is v2 - v3 was my issue

II. Is there any reason that my BIOS won?t allow me to upgrade from my current 1TB HDD to a 2TB HDD I just bought and received in the mail?Click to expand...

that would work BUT you need a fresh install and don't forget the system drivers

III. What?s the best way for me to clone my current 1TB HDD onto my new 2TB HDD? I have a number of Disk utility apps on my computer already, but if you recommend something else, I?ll use it instead. Once it?s cloned, do I have to do anything special in order to get it to work? Or can I simply swap out the HDDs and it?ll boot right up? If I'm planning on cloning my current Windows 8.1 and putting some Linux distros on it, in what order should I clone & install?Click to expand...

This solves the prior question - - clone it. I would clone anyway possible and after the fact, resize the C: partition

IV. Can I add more RAM to my laptop even though the official website about my Toshiba Laptop specifically says ?MEMORY: 6GB DDR3L 1600MHz (Memory is not user replaceable)? If that?s just an idle warning, how much RAM can this computer take? What?s the upper-limit to the amount of RAM? How much would you recommend that would give a boost to speed but also inexpensive and made by a trustworthy?Click to expand...

not user replaceable means what it says - - it's sodered to the MB and there may not even be slots for memory

V. I?m going to make this new 2HD HDD run multiple OSes including Windows 8.1 and 1-4 Linux distros. How much space should I reserve for each Linux distro?s mountpoints? If I make one partition and label it as ?/home?, will all my Linux distros be able to use it? I?d really like to have quite a few different Linux OSes on this computer because I want to learn how to use it better!
Remember, you can only have FOUR primary extensions and within one you can have several Logical Prtns. Most Linux distros have a bootable CD to try-it before you install.
Saves lots of work and time Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-my-toshiba-satellite-e55-a5114-laptop.213526/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hey guys and gals my names Alex I m in the market right now for what to get for myself as far as a mobile pc goes I ve been doing a lot of research on Microsoft Laptop Pro on Surface 3 Opinions or s Surface Pro and honestly I m really happy with the results What I m looking for is pretty much what the SP has mobility but power Now that s just my general needs honestly I could probably do without the SP but I m starting to get into D modelling and along with D modelling a little bit of art I don t and probably won t do it professionally but more-so as something to Opinions on Surface Pro 3 or Laptop do on the side for fun and maybe to help developer buddies of mine looking for models or art of some kind but still mostly for fun By the way the version of the SP I m looking at right now is the i variant with the gb of ram and gb SSD Read and believe it s the best price wise for the uses I ll Opinions on Surface Pro 3 or Laptop be using it for ie d modelling drawing light games Opinions on Surface Pro 3 or Laptop etc Explained more below And I ve read up on the Yoga a little as well and I ve found that it costs about the same as the Pro for just about the same components The pen for the SP looks really good and from what I ve heard works really well with the tablet But besides just being a good tablet I m wanting something that can work as a bit of a laptop I m a big gamer BUT When I m on the road I m not the kinda guy to be interested in playing HEAVY games really When I m on the sail boat or on the road or something I d much rather have lighter less battery required games like Dwarf Fortress or small rogue likes anything that s fun requires thought and can drag me away from the drive unless I m driving So I think the SP would be perfect for Dwarf Fort and other small games I play simply because usually they require more processor and near to no graphics with the occasional exception So I guess really a tablet would be my best option at least personally I really don t want to lose that ability to use a pen in favor of being able to more easily modify and repair a device such as a laptop I guess the next question is is the Surface Pro my best option for tablets So far it s the most highest rated one I ve seen as good for regular consumers go instead of just professionals So I guess my question is does anyone have their own opinions on the SP or other tablets possibly cheaper that are just about as good Please try to avoid being biased or putting a product down due to a defect or something I want good sturdy advice with someone that s had a lot of experience with the SP while doing the same things I do or at least similar Cheers Alex PS Money isn t that much of a problem for me really but being cheap whilst also strong performance wise is a really good thing for me Used to work on a really really slow PC and really don t want to go back in time Also I am pretty good with computers I ve spent a good portion of my life working on them myself and even have built the PC I m using right now myself not that that matters too much but it s more to say that if there are things I have to do to improve performance of the SP or something etc to help that kind of thing nbsp

A:Opinions on Surface Pro 3 or Laptop

I should mention, the main use for this PC is NOT gaming, if you haven't already figured that out. It's meant more for browsing on the side of my main PC, for browsing and other things when I'm on the road, modelling when I'm away from my main PC, etc. NOT gaming.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/opinions-on-surface-pro-3-or-laptop.213363/
Relevancy 15.48%

I get a bit jittery when I'm unplugging cable connectors (these images are just examples, I'm thinking of all types of connectors). What's the best way to safely unplug them?, pull from the cables or from the plastic case. What's your experience?. This pics are just a few examples of connectors. I'm posting this thread about any type of connectors. Thank you.

A:What's the best way to unplug laptop cable internal connectors on motherboard etc?

Many simply pull apart. Watch out for the ones with locking tabs though. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you take your time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-the-best-way-to-unplug-laptop-cable-internal-connectors-on-motherboard-etc.212863/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have uploaded a video of my laptop to better show the problem:

I am thinking something is wrong with a connection or some cable just don't know which. Never fixed a laptop. I broke the panel before I figured out the screws were hidden behind tiny black covers. Also broke the metallic part of the screen on the right side but I guess I will crazy glue it somehow. My most important issue is the flickering.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue please let me know I would really appreciate it.

At certain position the screen doesn't flicker, mostly if it's set back at a greater than 90 degree angle.

A:Laptop display flickers

It's sensible to check the connectors to the screen but unless you find a video of how to get inside your particular laptop and study it you are highly likely to break other pieces too. I worked out how to take mine apart thanks to Google but although I was careful I still broke a connector. Putting that right took me ages.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-display-flickers.213067/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello I'm going to buy a laptop for webbing, work, streaming movies but mostly gaming. I am wondering if it can run league of legends with constant 60fps without shadows but high resolution or minecraft with 100fps+ and maybe bo2 with smooth gameplay. The laptop is a Hp envy Intel i7 8gbs ram and gtx 850m with 4gb ram, here is full info http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnl...n_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_9#page_loaded

A:Laptop specs

Laptops are lousy gaming machines due the absence of a decent GPU.
I use my Dell (see profile for specs) for web development all the time and have
Apache, PHP, Perl, MySQL for local testing - - really cool!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-specs.212625/
Relevancy 15.48%

"You make bad decisions" said a coworker as I pulled the relatively massive Asus ROG G751JY-DH71 gaming laptop out of my backpack during a recent trip to our home office in New York City. I'm not certain I did. ...

Read more

A:Asus ROG G751JY-DH71 gaming laptop review

Sold! As in.. I've been in the market for over a month to buy a gaming laptop and couldn't find one worth wasting money on.

I say this for two reasons:

1) GTX980M - this thing is a whole other beast to the 970M. Forget about the 960M altogether.
2) 1920 x 1080 - THANK F%^&ING GOD!! Stop offering me "gaming" laptops with 4k screens and GTX960M/970Ms that can't possibly drive them! A vast majority of gamers are still playing on 22 inch 1080 res desktop monitors and this thing is only 17". It sounds pretty having that 4K moniker in there.. but.. stop it already!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-rog-g751jy-dh71-gaming-laptop-review.212560/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi, I need to buy a good laptop under 550$. My requirements are given below.

1. Should be capable of playing games like FIFA 2014,15, VIRTUA TENNIS.
2. Viewing angles should be good.
3. If its backlit its good. Not very important.
4. Procesor can be AMD or i5.

Some of my findings are:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-1...=BF&cid=7421&lid=197378&acd=10549103-4328635-
--> got a 120$ off coupon

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store....DmY-MHyFXnq6iuCPEoiIylHUdw#ratingsandreviews

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ge...D0rs.CxAmKpcdpYgVBJykQ#tabbed-customerreviews

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...HP-ENVY-15z-j100-CTO-Notebook-PC-ENERGY-STAR-

A:Need to buy a good laptop under $550

The HP 15-F009WM doesn't have an optical drive but has a AMD Radeon Graphics card already installed with virtualization technology and it's going for real cheap at laptop-pcs-tablets.com. I think the price is at $229 for an open box. The HP-15039WM includes an optical drive but may not come with the Radeon Graphics card, however it has a turbo processing boost just for gaming of up to 2.41 GHZ and it is priced around $319 at the same site. The HP touchscreen is the latest model with the same processing speed and it around $380. You can also get the same features with the ASUS for around $50 less however the brand name of Asus is a little less well known than HP but it's probably like the difference between buying name brand and no name brand. Asus has some good quality ones for a low price.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-buy-a-good-laptop-under-550.204672/
Relevancy 16.34%

My laptop has been overheating easily...
At first this didn't happend. Everything was working perfectly untill I left it turned on for a day or so. That's when it started overheating A LOT. I can't browse the internet without the computer heating to 90C.

A:Laptop Overheating

You will have to take it in for service. The thermal paste/pads may need to be replaced. The cooling fan might have stopped or it is clogged

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-overheating.212373/
Relevancy 15.91%

My laptop is becoming the storage of dust now. The fan and also keyboard. I want to clean this, can anyone suggest me ay good equipment for this?

A:How can I clean Laptop dust?

You can try using a can of compressed air from Best Buy, Radio Shack or Wal-Mart. Other than that you will have to have it taken apart and cleaned by someone that is familiar with doing this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-clean-laptop-dust.209530/
Relevancy 16.34%

Can I upgrade my gpu of my laptop????

I have SONY VAIO E-SERIES, MODEL NO- VPCEH38FN, CPU- intel core i5-2450 @ 3.0GHz, RAM- 8gb , OS- Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1, GPU- NVIDIA Geforce 410m dedicated video memory 1 gb......

if anything left then please tell me.......

A:Upgrade laptop

Ok!!!! thanks for reply........

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-laptop.212143/
Relevancy 16.34%

I no longer have warrenty on it and I want to upgrade it in several aspects I want to know what I could improve on it with there being an actual need for it in the first place I have not run a have So a Sager laptop I game that hauls more GPU memory on this laptop than GTA VI Currently as it stands I cannot go over of it s MB limit It s max is around and once I go over the game starts bogging down I have a TB SSD with a TB SSHD secondary drive for the games and programs I always use The SSHD has a RPM Spindle speed and has a SATA II Gbps interface with a MB cache so the hard drives aren t the problem I recently upgraded to those two I also have a CPU which is at GHz What may I do So I have a Sager laptop to make console games run smoother on my laptop Here are the items in a more specific list NVidia GeForce GTX M - GB Intel i - QM GHz Samsung EVO - TB Samsung Seagate Spinpoint - TB x Patriot Signature RAM cards- GB each Any problems you guys find Oh and I do run the EVO with rapid mode on which just causes it to use the RAM as a virtual disk Makes it read and write with remarkable speeds nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/so-i-have-a-sager-laptop.212133/
Relevancy 13.33%

I'm trying to record some karaoke but every time I play back the recorded track, the music is "doubled" with a slight delay, as if the laptop's built-in microphone was picking up the music along with my voice. Here is an example:

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/c58ef46c3

Notice how those staccato notes are doubled with that slight delay.

I'm using Windows 7 on a Dell laptop with Realtek.
Under Playback I have two devices: Loudspeaker (enabled) and Realtek Digital Output (disabled)
Under Recording I have: Microphone (enabled) and Stereomix (disabled)

I'm recording using headphones and the laptop's built-in microphone. This is what the Realtek Audio Manager looks like:

It's in German but most options are self-explanatory.

If you could help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for reading.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bleeding-when-trying-to-record-on-laptop.211024/
Relevancy 16.34%

My laptop keeps asking me for my facetime, icloud and messages password. I've entered the password but it keeps popping up. Even if I enter the wrong password it accepts it and asks me again in about 30 seconds. I have a Macbook Air but I don't know what system it is though. What can I do to stop this?

A:Laptop keeps asking for password

*IF* you would register, we might be willing to assist

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-asking-for-password.210631/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi, I need help with my laptop, I bought it a few years back and it has Windows Vista Home now I downgraded it to Windows XP because I'm not very comfortable using Vista and now it's not shutting down..What should I do? Thanks.

A:Laptop not shutting down

Since XP was discontinued about a year or so ago I'd simply suggest re installing Vista & get used to it. It aint that bad.I've had it too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-not-shutting-down.210451/
Relevancy 15.91%

Dell 1764 New Laptop
Need more details please ask...

Looking for advice, thanks

A:Laptop only works on AC when battery is removed

Sounds like the battery is possibly faulty. Have you tried removing it, then locking it back into position?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-only-works-on-ac-when-battery-is-removed.153344/
Relevancy 15.91%

Gateway NE56R41u laptop freezes after 5-10 minutes of running, ran many many tests and scans to try to find malware but nothing was found, it works fine in safe mode but not in safe mode with networking, please help

A:Gateway Laptop isn't working

When something works in Safe Mode but not while in Normal it points to a driver issue. Have you tried updating your WiFi/Network Interface Card (NIC) drivers for your system from Gateway's website?

Do you use a cooling pad? Laptops can get hot quickly and high temps will freeze/shut-down a system fast.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gateway-laptop-isnt-working.209213/
Relevancy 27.09%

Have a nice pair of Bluetooth headphones and trying to get them hooked up to the sound of my older TV. Is there some kind of adapter you can buy to to hook up to the audio out of the TV so I can connect the 2 via Bluetooth? I just don't wanna pay for another pair of headphones. I just want the reciever.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bluetooth-adapter.210034/
Relevancy 15.91%

Whenever I connect my external hard disk to my laptop, my computer freezes as soon as I My Computer to access it or click on 'Open to view files' in the autorun menu. I cannot do once this happens. Not even task manager can be opened. The computer unfreezes and starts working fine after I unplug my hard disk. But it works just fine on my friend's laptop.
This started happening a few days ago. Till then I could use the hard disk normally without any problems. Can anyone please help me out with this problem?
My operating system is windows 7 and I am using Avast Internet Security 7 antivirus

A:My laptop freezes when I connect an external HDD

What type of external HDD is it? Of what Brand?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-freezes-when-i-connect-an-external-hdd.180809/
Relevancy 16.34%

How do I start a conversation on hear I need help with buy a laptop as well plz

A:Buying a laptop

Post your concerns / issues and we'll attempt to respond - - That's what Techspot does - - answer questions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buying-a-laptop.209448/
Relevancy 15.48%

I dont know how long its been going on but within a internet provider switch from AT&T to TWC its still been doing this. Every time I reset the router name or password it lets me reconnect to the internet, but when I shut it down and boot it up later or after a couple hours it refuses to connect until I switch the router name or security password.

Its a toshiba running windows 7
The adapter is realtek or something like that which im pretty sure is the cause but nothing seems to fix this issue.
Thanks for any info on this.

A:Laptop Stops connecting to internet randomly

What is the Model number of the Toshiba laptop?
Does your laptop come with an Ethernet port (most do have one)? If so, try connecting directly to your router with an Ethernet Cable and see if the problem continues.
I highly doubt that its a problem with the Router (but it could be). I believe that you may have a problem with the wireless drivers installed. I would suggest:
1. Download the wireless drivers from the Toshiba website
2. Properly Uninstall the wireless drivers
3. Install wireless drivers from the download (step 1).
4. Wait and see if problem still persists. If so, let us know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-stops-connecting-to-internet-randomly.209164/
Relevancy 16.34%

Need some advice on which build to go with. Want a decent laptop that can handle moderate gaming and heavy multi-tasking but on a budget. Here are the two I have found and am trying to decide between:

PCSpecialist
Display: LED HD 1600x900 17.3"
CPU: i5-4210 2.6Ghz (dual core)
RAM: 1x8GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR3
Graphics: Nvidia GT 840M 2GB
HD: 500GB Seagate Hybrid SSHD 5400rpm
Network: Gigabit/Intel AC-7260
Price: 694GBP

Dell
Display: LED HD 1366x768 15.6"
CPU: i7-5500U 3.0Ghz
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 (unknown brand)
Graphics: Radeon R7 M270 4GB
HD: 1TB Hybrid HDD (unknown brand or hybrid configuration)
Network: Intel Centrino AC-3160
Price: 598GBP

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-laptop-advice.209134/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 and I find the hard drive slow in not only boot time but reads as well (8 gigs of RAM with an i5 dual core; strictly business with the exception of League of legends from time to time ). I have been looking at both Crucial and Samsung in 500 gig capacity and I can get both at both on sale. The Crucial is their new BX100 and the Samsung is their EVO 850.

Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks

A:Choosing An SSD for Laptop

I have the EVO 840 in 500 gig size, I really like it, obviously the 850 is even better. I've long been a fan of Crucial though.

However, when I got my 840 (not too long ago) it came with a free copy of FarCry 4. See if there are any bonuses you get with one drive and not the other, because I don't think you can go wrong with either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/choosing-an-ssd-for-laptop.208808/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi, am prepared to be labelled "thick as mince" however I wonder if anyone can advise how to proceed with the following: Replaced cracked laptop screen on a TM99, on first start up after replacement, the screen worked.....woohoo!, however.....on next startup, there was nothing, no lights, no start up screen...nada. Replaced new with original screen, which although cracked had worked, and it too now failed. Any ideas? The cable for the screen was seated properly and securely, nothing else was moved so am struggling to establish a reason for this non conformance. Could it possibly be a jammed "lid closed" switch? If this is potentially the culprit, anyone know whereabouts it is? Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/packard-bell-tm99-laptop-failed-screen-replacement.208913/
Relevancy 16.34%

I am trying to make some games on steam not lag the most difficult one I have to get to stop lagging is Rage and I'm looking for a processor and video card combination that wont kill my lap top. its running windows 7 ultimate with an AMD Sempron m120 2.10 GHz 4 GB ram and a 64 bit operating system. any info would help I'm sick of it taking 2 hours to drive a 4 wheeler to the first mission and then it crashing.

A:I am running an HP g61 laptop

Firstly I want a golden eagle bust, secondly don't game on a laptop, and lastly there's no way to buy a CPU (GPU just maybe with amplifiers but not worth it) for your laptop. If you want to invest money consider building a gaming desktop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-am-running-an-hp-g61-laptop.208849/
Relevancy 15.48%

This laptop will not save documents or files to the hard drive. They are there when initially saved, but disappear when the system is next switched on.

Anyone help me pls...

A:Laptop Fail to save any data to harddisk

You need to say whether you are new to computers or not and which Windows operating system you have. I remember when we first got a computer many years ago the wife thought that I'd deleted her work. In fact we didn't know whereabouts it was saved and couldn't find our way around. If you are a beginner using Windows 7 try clicking on the Start button and then Documents in the menu that opens to the right. By default that's where things are saved but you can use the Save As option and choose a different location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-fail-to-save-any-data-to-harddisk.208753/
Relevancy 16.34%

I got my laptop about two years ago. It stopped charging around Christmas, then, an hour later, it started turning off when ever I plugged it in. I took it in to be fixed. First they replaced the power jack, it still didn't work, so they replaced the adapter. then, finally, they replaced the mother board. I only just got it back yesterday. I took it home, and it was fine. For the first hour or so, that is. It suddenly shut off. No warning or anything. I turned it back on, it booted up just fine, like nothing ever happened. 45 minutes later it did it again. It has been doing this ever since.

My comp is made for gaming, and has a beastly cooling system. I've been checking to make sure the fan is working. It happens randomly. I can be playing a game, surfing the web, or just letting it sit idle. It never happens right when I boot up. It always runs about 45 minutes to an hour before shutting off. It doesn't have any problems booting up.

Any tips would be nice.

A:My laptop keeps turning itself off

You must have paid a lot to have the motherboard replaced. I would be back to see them about it. If it really is a gaming laptop it will have cost a great deal of money and have high resistance to heat together with a plug in graphics card module. Generally speaking even laptops that look impressive can't stand up to intensive gaming but you mention that the problem can occur when the laptop is sitting idle. You can't afford to let them keep replacing bits in the hope of a solution but they need to do a better job of pinning down the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-keeps-turning-itself-off.208562/
Relevancy 16.34%

my laptop HP g61 does not power on either with battery or when connected to the mains supply(AC). whenever i press the power botton the battery lit in the front of the system will only blink for about 3 seconds without the system been power on(the fan,the keyboard light nor the power botton lit will not on) i try to remove the battery nd press the power button for 30 secs before putting it back,still their is no respond. but i discovered each time i remove the battery and plug it to the Mains,the indicator power light beside the plug of the system will lit for about 3 seconds before it went off again.i have checked it with another charging adapter all to no avail. pls ,help me out.

A:My laptop HP G61 does not power on

Perhaps you have one of those infernal HP laptop motherboard problems? How old is your HP g61, and have you kept the cooling channels free of lint and dust? How old is the hard drive?
Since it doesn't work from a battery or from wall power, you should have an experienced tech take a look.
First thing I would do is remove the hard drive, so you can rescue the data if need be.
Then I would remove the battery, and try again from the Mains. If nothing, then there is some real work ahead. Consider this a major failure in that case, and get expert help to take a look.
I doubt there is a quick fix.
Please keep us informed as to what you learn and what helped get your HP G61 back up and running.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-hp-g61-does-not-power-on.176272/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi there! I'm using HP presario c700 . During few days I'm going to see display is not working properly. I mean I can't see anything without sound, It's display is going to show a black shadow with some scratchs.

Please anyone say something, what should I do?

A:Laptop Screen Problem

Hi there, have you tried hooking up to an external monitor? This will help you determine if it's a problem with the screen or logic board.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-screen-problem.208402/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi there! I was wondering if any of you tech heads can help? Been given my nephews laptop which had the vague description of it hasn't turned on in a couple months.

It's a zoostorm loaded with windows 7. I can get into the bios but after that it just sits with a black screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-failing-to-boot.208148/
Relevancy 16.34%

My Laptop is getting too hot and then suddenly go shut down without any notice. What should I do now?

A:My HP Laptop getting too hot

Check the fans and make sure they are not clogged with dust. It is also necessary to make sure you are not unwittingly covering the ventilation while using the machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hp-laptop-getting-too-hot.206904/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a Packard Bell Easynote TE69KB laptop and the screen is either black or very dark, sometimes at the right angle you can just see the graphics, This started after the 18mth old son hit the top of the screen yesterday. I have tried adjusting brightness without change, with an external monitor plugged in it works fine, which is OK if I'm working at home but no good when I'm out. I am thinking I'm going to have to change he screen or can you make any other suggestions?

A:Very dark or black laptop screen

Your son has probably damaged or loosened the screen inverter. That is what lights up the screen and is a separate part. It can be found under the screen bezel. I don't think that this will cost much to fix. If you DIY read up about the job first because removing the bezel (frame) needs to be done carefully.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/very-dark-or-black-laptop-screen.208064/
Relevancy 15.91%

I bought an HP Pavillion DV6 around 2 years ago. Recently I started gaming but I have been limited to the older games that run better on my laptop. I recently bought The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim off steam because it was on sale for $5 (what a deal!). My laptop hardly runs it on the lowest settings with all other applications closed. The movement is choppy and all around terrible. I was wondering if there are any upgrades I can purchase or any settings I can change in order to make it run a little better? Few details about the computer, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450 CPU @2.50GHz, RAM: 8.00GB, 64bit OS. I really don't know much about computers so I don't know if any of this is relevant... Thanks in advance!

A:Is there anyway to make my laptop run Skyrim better?

With having integrated graphics (not a dedicated graphics card), you will most likely never get Skyrim to play properly. Most Laptop computers cannot be upgraded like desktop computer. You are limited to what the manufacture allows you to upgrade (in your case it is just RAM). If you truly want to play Skyrim on your laptop, I would suggest the following settings for running the game:

Resolution: 1280x720 (if this is still choppy - drop to 1024x768 or 800x600)
Antialiasing : OFF
Anisotropic Filtering: OFF
Texture Quality: MEDIUM
Radial Blur Quality: LOW
Shadow Detail: LOW
Decal Quantity: NONE
FXAA: UNCHECKED
ALL Water (Reflect Land/Trees/Objects/Sky): UNCHECKED

Hope this answers your questions. Let us know how this works out for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-anyway-to-make-my-laptop-run-skyrim-better.207817/
Relevancy 16.34%

My laptop previously working good. It goes off suddenly. I cant identify the problem. I'm sure that no power failure occur. Please help me solve this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-cannot-turn-on.207868/
Relevancy 15.48%

Toshiba laptop. Internet at the bottom right says there is a connection available, but says the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network. It has to be plugged in to the modem to access Internet. Speakers do not work. Ports do not work either. I had it in for repair and he thought it might be the motherboard, but he couldn't fix the other one and I got help with Broni on here and it works fine now. I am hoping someone on here can help me fix this one. It has no viruses; it's clean. Thanks!

A:Laptop cannot access the Internet unless it is hooked to the modem

Ok, the modem=>pc config working says networking is at least sane.

To get the modem=>router=>pc to work, the pc should not have ANY configuration data stored in the network adapter settings. Can you find and clear the network adapter for yourself?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-cannot-access-the-internet-unless-it-is-hooked-to-the-modem.207405/
Relevancy 15.48%

I've a External HDD( Western Digital company-500GB) which was working properly last night but today it's not working. when I connect the EXt. HDD to my laptop usb port then it's got power but not shows in my computer.
when I go to device management it shows a window (you need to initialize before logical disk management can access it.) but when I go to initialize the HDD then show it "the media write protected". I cann't initialize the HDD and cann't access the HDD.

Someone help me to recover my old DATA from this Ext. HDD.

Thanks for advance.

A:External HDD not recognize my laptop & cann't initialize it from Device manegment

Hello Rajib Sarker,
The first important thing to note here is that if you initialize your HDD you will lose all the information that was stored on it. Sometimes portable external HDDs can behave like that if they are not getting enough power. It would be a good idea to try and connect your HDD using a different USB cable, preferably a short one. Another thing you can try is connecting your HDD to different USB ports and to a different computer. You can also run WD DLG diagnostics tool to test the HDD http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=GTBpZQ .
Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-not-recognize-my-laptop-cannt-initialize-it-from-device-manegment.207752/
Relevancy 15.91%

Without going into details, about a teaspoon of shampoo got spilled on my laptop keyboard in the top left quarter. I tried posting this from it, but it was unreadable. I immediately shut it down & used a dry towel to wipe up excess but some keys still don't work .
Please don't tell me I have to tear my laptop apart The Esc key does work.
Its a VGN-CR590
I do have the manual ,but I don't think it shows how to remove the keyboard. TIA

A:How do I remove my laptop keyboard?

I'm stumped. I found this http://www.laptopkeyboard.com/Guides.php/Sony/VGN-CR (Silver)/VGN-CR590/KBS15
checked out the manual but still can't find the screws with keyboard icons & I fear breaking the keyboard by removing it incorrectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-remove-my-laptop-keyboard.206608/
Relevancy 15.91%

Ive got a 2 yr old laptop that my parents bought for me at walmart of all places. I basically just use it for facebook, facebook games, and email. havent had any real issue til now. at first, when it was plugged in it would start up and let me log into windows but would immediately shut down. later it started going through a disk check when I turned it on and would shut off before it was complete. if the power cord was connected it would have a big red x over the power cord logo on the bottom right. I was going to factory reset it but I cannot get that far before it shuts off. bettery is fine and power cord is good. had them both tested. PLEASE HELP!!! IM VERY POOR SND CANNOT TAKE IT TO A REPAIR SHOP!! tyvm

A:Hp laptop w/ windows 7 trouble

It won't stay on long enough to do anything so this doesn't look promising. Have you tried removing the battery and just using the power brick?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-laptop-w-windows-7-trouble.207751/
Relevancy 15.91%

So I ve owned my P HM gaming laptop for around years now and for the most part I haven t had any issues However when I start my laptop it always defaults to booting off of the ethernet card even after switching my SSD to the position in the bios menu Normally this isn t that much of an issue as I can just cycle through the bios boot options using CTRL Laptop Boot issue ALT DEL The main issue that I am having now is that the last time I was using my laptop I used hibernate instead of the normal quot sleep quot or quot standby quot Now whenever I attempt to start my laptop up the message quot Resume from hibernate quot is on my screen which is normal except it tries to resume using the ethernet card If the laptop is in hibernate evidently I am not able to access the BIOS menu or cycle through my boot drives I have read that a way to fix this Laptop Boot issue might just be taking the battery out and letting any residual power that the motherboard might be running off of fade away over time I read that this normally only takes minutes or so I tried waiting minutes and it Laptop Boot issue didn t work so I just tried again but waited a few hours this time before putting the battery back in and attempting to start my laptop up The laptop is still attempting to boot from hibernate Does anyone know of any way to get to the BIOS menu from the hibernate screen Or does anyone know of anyway to fully shut off my laptop Laptop Boot issue to get rid of hibernate and just start up normally Any assistance would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Laptop Boot issue

it always defaults to booting off of the ethernet cardClick to expand...

This means that BIOS is not seeing any HD, marked Active and contains a bootable partition

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-boot-issue.207645/
Relevancy 15.91%

I Regarding my q301la asus laptop currently just got an asus a la laptop in the mail yesterday When I first used it on Thursday night after charging it the laptop worked fine Come Friday morning Regarding my asus q301la laptop I see that I by accident left it on sleep mode instead of shutting it off Well when I go turn it on and sign in it froze on me with a black screen and started flickering It happened twice back to back and on the third restart it stopped The charger was not connected and the laptop was at about battery left The first reviews I read about this laptop were really good until I started to look into more and found out numerous customers were having the same problem that the screen would flicker when charging or randomly BestBuy says I have weeks to return it with a full refund I have a choice of getting another laptop or returning this one and getting the same type of laptop sent back to me but a new one My budget was but I might be able to push it to flat no more Please give me some guidance on what I should do and what other laptops I should consider Preferably looking for something with an i because I heard the i processor is slow at least gb hard drive or a ssd drive I wouldn t mind another touchscreen laptop I actually quite enjoy it and at least gb of ram Also I m new to this forum so sorry if this post is a bit messy and stuff This was my first timer with asus and many people recommended me to this company I have a feeling maybe just the q la in particular did not come out good nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/regarding-my-asus-q301la-laptop.207639/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a mystery on my hands. I received a Bluetooth speaker as a gift. The BT-4.0 adapter plugged into my computer (USB-2.0 port) detects it (as a "Bluetooth headset"), but when I try to select it as my output device (from the "Sound" Control Panel), Windows reports it as "Disconnected".

If I open "Devices and Printers" and right-click the "Bluetooth headset" icon, I get an alert that the device "Failed to initialize".

I've tried rebooting, tried a different BT adapter, updated my BT drivers off the makers' website, Device Manager shows everything is connected & working (including "Bluetooth Audio").

64bit Win7 Home. Inateck BT-4.0 usb adapter. Speaker is a "MicroBoom" BT v2.1:
Any ideas?

PS: Eliminated the obvious. Speaker is fully charged and works just fine with my phone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bluetooth-headphones-paired-but-disconnected-failed-to-initialize.207624/
Relevancy 15.48%

I got a new laptop recently (this past Sunday) and ever since I turned it on I've had horrible issues with WiFi. It's tothe point where I'm ready to return it to the store and just go without a computer. Keep in mind I'm not very tech savvy, so I might not know what you're talking about.

It's very slow and won't stay connected to the internet. 4/5 times it doesn't load the web page I'm trying to load and after about 5 minutes after powering on it disconnects from my Wi-Fi and refuses to reconnect. The troubleshooter says it's a router issue but resetting the router doesn't do anything at all and no other device in the house is having any issues. I haven't downloaded ANYTHING to it yet. In addition, when it /does/ connect to my Wi-Fi, trying to open any web page brings me to a "you are not connected to the internet" notice.

I have no idea what to do. I need a computer for work but I'm so sick of having problems with them.

A:Brand new laptop; faulty wifi process?

Set up the laptop next to the router where the signal should be strongest. Are you sure that you are connecting to your own wi fi network and router? When you switch on the laptop it will search for in range networks and when you spot your own you are asked to give the password before you can use the internet for the first time. If that's not happening maybe its logging you on to a neighbouring unsecured network (no password set) where the signal is weak. If I click on the wireless icon bottom right in my taskbar it brings up a choice of available networks. My icon looks like a set of steps and so the icon shows how strong the signal is. Check that you are connecting to your own router and see how strong the signal is. You mention other devices that work OK but haven't given any details.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-laptop-faulty-wifi-process.207589/
Relevancy 15.48%

1 4gb samsung pc3-12800 1.35 v
1 4gb nanya pc3-10600 1.5 v

The timings are listed different on the stick.
HWInfo reports that at 666.7 both are 9-9-9-24
Crucial will sell me all 1.35 v memory as upgrades and the 4830T-6678 Timeline X came with the [email protected]
The laptop boots and runs with both sticks installed

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

A:Mixing memory in Acer Aspire laptop

Is the laptop reporting 8GB of memory installed? If it is, you should be okay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mixing-memory-in-acer-aspire-laptop.207496/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, it started randomly crashing but it would start right back up no problem. Then It started getting more and more frequent. And then it started not turning back on right away after crashing, but it would eventually turn on after a little while. But now it won't turn on at all. I tried removing the battery and just running it on the charger, but that changed nothing, I still did it. Anyone have any ideas?

A:Laptop crashing, now won't turn on at all

The hard drive is probably corrupt from all the crashing. If you can, have someone remove and re-install the memory and remove the hard drive to see if the laptop comes back to life by lights turning on and the screen starting to display without the hard drive installed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-crashing-now-wont-turn-on-at-all.207428/
Relevancy 26.66%

Quick question.

I have two cheepo USB Bluetooth adapters for my Windows 7 PC. One is a tiny generic (thumbnail sized) micro adapter, the other a small "stick" made by Rocketfish.

Both adapters install and "claim" to detect my Bluetooth speaker (misidentifying it as a Bluetooth headset. I have no headset), but the speaker doesn't detect the PC (even when clicking the Discover button.) My cellphone sees my speaker, but it too DOESN'T see my PC.

Are all Bluetooth adapters the same and if my cheap adapters won't pair with anything, neither will an expensive one? Or might there be something else going on?

Thx.

A:Difference in Bluetooth adapters?

Do you see any yellow (!) in the device manager when either of the Bluetooth devices are installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/difference-in-bluetooth-adapters.207449/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie to PC gaming, I have been playing "Dayz" on my HP laptop, but the graphics quality and lag I experience is rather annoying! So I'm looking to replace a few components on my laptop but I have no idea where to start or what to change, so I've come to Techspot looking for advice!
bear in mind I don't want to blow the bank on loads of expensive upgrades
here are the specs, any suggestions?

Microprocessor AMD Quad-Core A4-5000M APU with Radeon HD 8330 Graphics (1.5 GHz, 2 MB cache)
Chipset AMD A76M FCH
Memory 4 GB DDR3
Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 8330 Graphics (up to 1.98 GB)
Hard Drive 750 GB 5400 rpm SATA
Up to 24 GB partition for system recovery

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...foCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5399488

Thanks in advance

A:Recommendations for my laptop upgrade

Unfortunately most laptops do not have the option of replacing components. Your options for this HP Laptop is: upgrading your RAM to 8GB (or more depending on how much max RAM the laptop allows) & changing the Hard Drive from the 5400 rpm to either a 7200 rpm or better yet a SSD. Laptops are not component swappable like the Desktop computers are. Most laptops have parts soldered in on the motherboard. You might be able to eliminate some "Lag" with the RAM and Hard Drive changes, but if you are looking for a drastic improvement, I would suggest a laptop more suited for gaming.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recommendations-for-my-laptop-upgrade.207447/
Relevancy 15.91%

My toshiba will not get on the Internet Google will come up and search but everytime it says Internet error

A:Laptop Internet error

Need specific; try looking in the cmd-> enter eventvwr.msc

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-internet-error.207423/
Relevancy 16.34%

So im looking to find a new laptop I would like it to be under 300$ im just gonna be using it for light web browsing I have one I think looks good but im not sure this is it - http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...ie=UTF8&qid=1417989243&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop it looks good im just not sure I want to be able to watch youtube in 720p would that one work?

A:Looking for new laptop

I've had two; a Toshiba and now on a Dell. The Toshiba was a great machine and lasted 5-6 years with XP/Pro. The bios failed and that was that leading to the Dell.

The Dell Inspiron 5040 is easy to use, but now shows SMART data that the HD is about to fail.
The HD is NOT accessible externally and the box needs total dismemberment to get to the HD. Consequently, I would not recommend any thing like this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-new-laptop.207376/
Relevancy 16.34%

Ok so currently I have a Gateway NV about years old it worked great Tonight Laptop buy to Looking new I was stupid Looking to buy new Laptop and took it apart Well that wasn t the so stupid part I ve been working on computers for years so it s not like I was completely clueless Well I took a part of the base off and reached down to disconnect a wire from its socket and for some reason the tiny wire Looking to buy new Laptop just snapped off and is now completely unusable and as it was the monitor power wire it s all but useless So guess it s a good a reason as any to look into buying a new laptop I don t really game on it a lot but I do play some very basic text and java games just mainly youtube movies things like that at p Would prefer to get a p viewable laptop but it s not that important Basicaly I want a cheapish lappie that can do the job of my old one So would I be better off buying some netbook or chromebook or something Or would I even be able to find a viable solution in a laptop Problem is I have no clue what to get I got this one from bestbuy many years ago but I really don t pay much attention to the laptop area as I don t heavily do work on them so was hoping someone else could give me some options opinions nbsp

A:Looking to buy new Laptop

If the power wire for the laptop screen was the only wire that snapped off, it might be able to be fixed. Do you have computer repair shops in your area? You could call them and ask for an estimate on a repair to see if it would be more cost effective instead of buying a new laptop.
If your looking to get a new laptop anyway then:
What is your budget for the new laptop? How big of a screen would you like?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-to-buy-new-laptop.207085/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi,
I am creating a small demo software wherein 4 simple mono-audio speakers need to be connected to my laptop, the main program, written in Java will play audio from one of the speakers depending on the input cue.

How do I go about achieving this? Any tips, hints most appreciated.

TIA!

A:Connecting multiple speakers to my laptop and controlling them individually

First, the laptop audio is not a home sound system and can be easily overloaded with what you are attempting - - don't drive this at high output volumes!

this will show the wiring to get all 4 with output at the same time.

The speakers in parallel like this create a load 4x heavier than just one speaker.
Get 8ohm speakers like these http://www.radioshack.com/8-ohm-mini-speaker/2730092.html
which will reduce the load to only 2x.

The red circles are individual volume controls. Place a toggle switch between the controls and the speakers and you can play 1, 1+2, 1+2+3 or all four.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connecting-multiple-speakers-to-my-laptop-and-controlling-them-individually.207277/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a toshiba satellite C870-11H. It used to ask for the password whenever it went to sleep. I checked and the system is still set to do so.

Some time ago I got fed up with the clowns at Microsoft thinking their latest update was more important than whatever I happened to be doing and destroying the work I was doing so they could load their rubbish. I set the system to ask me before doing an update. Well it doesn't bother to do that and now very rarely it does load an update without authority. Could it be that my system is now way out of date?

Is there a customer focused operating system that I could use instead?

Thanks.

A:Laptop stopped asking for password

Every OS is customer focused. Microsoft is for non-Mac machines and getting things done. Linux is more powerful but requires more techy-ness to use.

Maybe try Mac OSX.

But there's nothing wrong with Windows. Sounds like you have a decent amount of problems.
Run WIndows update, make sure it's completed every update.
Run CMD.exe in admin mode, run sfc /scannow

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-stopped-asking-for-password.204405/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi Guys

I have a Dell latitude ES5500 which is a recon model
It works fine and on start up I hear the fan going. (so I don't think this is the problem)
All of the airways are clear.
When the laptop first arrived I could get 4-5 mins of video or game time before it shut off, it is now down to virtually straight away.
The laptop does not feel hot to touch either and when turned back on will perform any other function ie e mails word processing database and excel etc without a problem.
I can go on facebook and read post search the internet with no problems but as soon as I try to run a video or play a game it drops straight out.
I have to hold the button down to shut the laptop off and then it will restart with no bother.
This is fairly frustrating and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/ solutions to this?

A:Laptop keeps turning off when playing video's or games

It's worth installing HWMonitor or SpeedFan to check temperatures when you are playing video. My laptop fan doesn't kick in until the GPU temperature gets to 60c and it then drops rapidly to about 50c whereas your fan is working from start up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-turning-off-when-playing-videos-or-games.207231/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello,

I have got the same issue.

Here is a screenshot of my HWMonitor results:

Moderator note: Removed from this thread to avoid confusion from too many posters in one thread: http://www.techspot.com/community/t...turning-itself-off.197492/page-4#post-1442618

A:Laptop keeps turning itself off

I don't see any obvious problem there. If the laptop shuts down when you're using it that's a problem but if you are inactive for a while and it shuts itself down in the meantime it may be because of the Power settings that have been selected under Control Panel.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-turning-itself-off.207212/
Relevancy 15.91%

So I have a broken Dell Studio 1747 laptop with a fried graphics card (or at least I think that's a problem) and to my understanding it would be cheaper to get a new laptop than to repair it.

What I'm wondering is, is there any parts that I can somehow take out and put into a new lappy to save money before I throw the husk away eg. the hard drive or the blu-ray drive?

Cheers!

A:Which parts of my laptop can be salvaged?

Unfortunately not much. I'd keep the hard drive and perhaps pick up a USB dock for it, but you have to spend money on the dock then... I used to buy external drives, but now I've got a couple docks and they come in handy quite often but my situation may be different than yours. I wouldn't bother with keeping the bluray drive unless your new laptop doesn't have one AND the drive is replaceable. However, you could probably make a few bucks by selling it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-parts-of-my-laptop-can-be-salvaged.207094/
Relevancy 15.91%

I laptop My wirelessly to will the connect not internet have had my laptop for around a year and it has always connected to the internet both wirelessly and through the cable Suddenly for no apparent reason about a week ago it stopped working All that I had done was turn on my quot Guest Account quot and download Skype It worked for a few minutes after this and then stopped completely- if I hovered over the wireless connection on the bottom right of my screen there is a big red cross and it tells me that there are no wireless networks available in the range We have another laptop which we use from My laptop will not connect wirelessly to the internet the exact same location within the My laptop will not connect wirelessly to the internet house and this connects no problem it also finds another or so wireless networks in the neighbourhood I know that there is not a problem with my router modem as I can connect via my other computer I have not done anything to the laptop except the installation above- I tried uninstalling this and turning off the Guest Account but still no joy I looked at other posts on here and tried some of the things suggested but still no joy I thought I would try to be clever also and think I have actually made this worse so that it is now beyond repair I know with most computer based things uninstalling and reinstalling it can work tried this and have now uninstalled my wireless network cannot now find where it is to reinstall If you are able to give me suggestions to fix this please treat me as a novice as although I know some things about computers I really don t know enough to decipher some of the more technical terms Thanks in advance nbsp

A:My laptop will not connect wirelessly to the internet

bangj001 said:

I have had my laptop for around a year and it has always connected to the internet both wirelessly and through the cable. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, about a week ago it stopped working.

All that I had done was turn on my "Guest Account" and download Skype. It worked for a few minutes after this and then stopped completely- if I hovered over the wireless connection on the bottom right of my screen, there is a big red cross and it tells me that there are no wireless networks available in the range.

We have another laptop which we use from the exact same location within the house and this connects no problem, it also finds another 7 or so wireless networks in the neighbourhood.

I know that there is not a problem with my router/modem as I can connect via my other computer. I have not done anything to the laptop except the installation above- I tried uninstalling this and turning off the Guest Account but still no joy.

I looked at other posts on here and tried some of the things suggested but still no joy.... I thought I would try to be clever also and think I have actually made this worse so that it is now beyond repair!! I know with most computer based things, uninstalling and reinstalling it can work... tried this and have now uninstalled my wireless network...cannot now find where it is to reinstall!

If you are able to give me suggestions to fix this, please treat me as a novice as although I know some things about computers, I really don't know enough to decipher some of the more technical terms! Thanks in advanceClick to expand...

I assume you're using some sort of windows machine. Have you tried a system restore to a previous state when the OS used to work?
if not you should try that first by going to Programs>accesories>system tools> system re-store and select a time from when the laptop used to work fine.

Mm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-will-not-connect-wirelessly-to-the-internet.158976/
Relevancy 15.05%

My brother's laptop is a Packard Bell EasyNote TK87, Like mine, it runs w/ 7 32-bit.

More Detail of problem:
When I click the power button it has the logo and option 'Click F2 for startup menu' I don't click the key and it says 'loading...' and I'll just rebooting the laptop. How to resolve this problem

A:Everytime My Brother Starts His Laptop The Shortcut Key For The BIOS Menu Automatically is pressed.

Go here and make sure u don't have a key stuck. http://www.keyboardtester.com/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/everytime-my-brother-starts-his-laptop-the-shortcut-key-for-the-bios-menu-automatically-is-pressed.206924/