Windows Support Forum

Need advice on what to upgrade

Q: Need advice on what to upgrade

Hey, im planning on upgrading either my cpu or my gpu, and I need to know what would give me a more
noticeable increase in performance in gaming.

The gpu I currently have is a gtx 760, and my cpu is an i5 - 4430 3ghz
the cpu I'd upgrade to is an i7 - 4790k 4ghz, and the gpu I'd get is a gtx 970.

So which one should I upgrade?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Need advice on what to upgrade

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Need advice on what to upgrade

The i5 is considered the so-called sweetspot for gaming and since games are gpu intensive I would upgrade the gpu first.

A few questions for you:
1. How much RAM do you run?
2. Are you getting any lag in gaming? What is your current average FPS?
3. What do you hope to gain that would make your gaming experience noticeably increased?
, Make and wattage output of your power supply?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-on-what-to-upgrade.213753/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello everyone Anyway I have been looking at the recent GPU wars GPU Upgrade Advice between the green and red I am interested in either the or the X due to budget restrains They both have good promotions for the games and offer but I was wondering how do the code works I live in Singapore so am I safe to say that if I were to go out and buy either a or X I'm eligible for the games Or I must wait for the promotion to 'come' to Singapore Another questions since I'm on a budget USD and I can either only get or X I was wondering which of the card can I squeeze out the most performance I would like to play casual BF GTA V hopefully on PC some maybe some other 'graphics-intensive' games on decent settings Also is there any other card like TI or X which is cheaper than my budget GPU Upgrade Advice can I also get the equal performance too GPU Upgrade Advice I would prefer to save as much as possible to get other peripherals Sorry for all the questions and thanks again

A:GPU Upgrade Advice

I would roll either way if you don't care about Brands go with the 280x

it is optimized for Battlefield 4 and uses Mantle a new type of GPU processing

The HD 7970 is the equal to the 280x as for as the free games are concerned they should come with codes either sent though mail or you go online and redeem them with your purchase I would assume where ever you buy it they give the code up front after purchase

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/311339-gpu-upgrade-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello there,

I've decided to do an upgrade but I'm hesitating between 2 upgrade choices, I'm NOT asking which is better in performance (I've spent a whole week reading reviews already), I'm asking which would be better for future upgrades..

First upgrade is >>
Phenom II X2 550 3.1GHz, 7MB Total Cache
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5

And upgrade the processor later??

Or >>
Phenom II X4 965 125w 3.4GHz, 8MB Total Cache
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

And upgrade the MB later??

So yeah, it's a true hardware dilemma ..

A:Need an advice on a new upgrade..

If the X2 550 fits your mobo, then that is a good choice. Some people OC'd it to 4GHz.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/70318-need-advice-new-upgrade.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, Im currently running XP pro 32bit with this setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB
Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2-800 2X2GB
ASUS P5K mobo
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA2
HIS Radeon HD 3850 ICEQ3 Turbo x2 in xfire

I am thinking about upgrading to Vista home premium 64bit. Its used primarily for gaming and web browsing, etc. I play mostly online games with a few friends and planning on jumping on Age of Conan next month and would like to make the most of it. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

A:Upgrade or not, looking for advice

Hello fancyrat

Welcome to the Forums!

Originally Posted by fancyrat

I am thinking about upgrading to Vista home premium 64bit. Its used primarily for gaming and web browsing, etc. I play mostly online games with a few friends and planning on jumping on Age of Conan next month and would like to make the most of it. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Sorry to say x64 can not be *upgraded* to. It has to be a clean install.
Maybe you can get some ideas from the Tutorial at the link below.

Clean Install with a Full Version of Vista

I hope this helps. Be sure to look around the Tutorial section, there is a lot of knowledge there.

EDIT: Upgrading from one OS to another only causes trouble. Clean Install.

Later Ted

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/149545-upgrade-not-looking-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU. I use my PC mainly for gaming.
Thanks!

A:CPU Upgrade I need advice.

What motherboard are you planning to use?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/245351-cpu-upgrade-i-need-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I just want your opinion on what I should upgrade next in my computer (specs down below)

BTW: I'm upgrading my ram to 12GB

A:Upgrade Advice

Hello

An upgrade with the ram would help..to 8 gigs and maybe a newer vid card for starters.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/gaming/125717-upgrade-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Well as of now I have an E-Machines T3256
( http://compreviews.about.com/od/budgetdesk/gr/eMachinesT3256.htm )

I have 1GB of PC2700 Ram in it and an ATI Radeon x1300 256mb AGP video card.

I have about $400 dollars to spend and I really wanted to upgrade my processor to something that can handle games without lag. I'm not sure what my motherboard is compatible with and I don't think it's possible to switch out motherboards because of the other hardware on my computer (or is it?).

As of right now, I only see upgrading my processor to make any noticeable changes. Can anyone give me some advice about upgrading my processor (motherboard if needed), With a $400 dollar budget? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrade-advice.535076/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a Compaq Evo D small form factor PC I would like to increase it s RAM and replace its disk with a larger one This is on Advice upgrade PC a GHz MHz machine and was new in early It has a proprietary Compaq HP motherboard for which Advice on PC upgrade I was able to find very little info I have done some research into what is required and what it can take but in the end I Advice on PC upgrade won t really know unless I try out the new hardware Currently the PC has a single MB DDR PC DIMM installed I would like to add a GB module in the spare DIMM slot The specs say the machine is capable of GB I see Advice on PC upgrade that PC memory is harder to get these days here in New Zealand anyway On reading about DDR RAM the experts indicate that faster RAM is backward compatible with the slower speed RAM If that is the case I would be interested in a GB DDR PC module I realise it would run at the slower speed I would also like to replace the current GB IDE disk with as large a disk as possible The Seagate Barracuda GB ATA rpm disk would be ideal I was unable to find any information on the Internet that indicated if there would be any problems installing a high capacity disk on this particular machine Does anyone have any experience with either the RAM or Disk upgrade I have described Namely running faster DDR RAM with slower and support for a fairly large disk in a machine of the vintage described Perhaps you could point me to documentation that I have not been able to find Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

hello everyone. Im at it again,have a asus 478 mobo w/ 756(512+256)2700mhz ram,celeron d 2.9ghz cpu.I was thinking of puttingin a p4 800mhz fsb with hyper threading in place of celeron d. I found a p4 for under 80.00 dol. I HAVE A 350 W. ps in place.just want to upgrade what I have. Not looking for new sys. just yet. Is is worth the bucks?

A:advice on upgrade

what do you plan to achieve with this upgrade? If you don't use CPU intensive applications, you won't see any difference in performance.

But I think I can guarantee that a P4 of roughly the same speed (in Ghz) with an 800mhz bus would perform a lot better than your current Celeron. The question now is: will you see any performance difference in your daily computing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-on-upgrade.78508/
Relevancy 44.72%

Which MB/Video card do you think is a better bang for your buck?

OPTION 1:

MB: Asus A8V Deluxe $115.00

VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6800 GT 256MB $295.00

total: $410.00

OPTION 2:

MB: Asus A8V-E Deluxe (PCIe) $145.00

VIDEO CARD: RADEON X800 XL 256MB PCI Express $270.00

total: $415.00

A:need advice with upgrade

Perhaps you could mix the two up:

The Asus A8V-E Deluxe (PCIe) is a nice Mainboard with PCIe support, which is going to be the future standart of videocards anyway. And you could try to go for a GeForce 6800 GT 256MB PCIe (Which isn't that much more expensive) Because the GeForce seems to do better in benchmarks. (At least the ones I just looked up)

Hope you can get a nice upgrade like that

Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-with-upgrade.25998/
Relevancy 44.72%

My wife wants to move her work at home office to the basement and upgrade that computer because she says it s to slow All she will be doing is working via remote desktop and playing movies off HDD on extended nd monitor often at the same time It has an AMD dual core in an Asus M A -EM mobo I just installed a fresh copy of vista home upgrading from XP pro I would consider upgrading to W I do like it better but I don t think it will improve the speed on this system I thought if I doubled the ram to g and replaced advice for upgrade Looking the g IDE HDD with a SATA or even a SSD there would be a noticeable improvement and save me the trouble of a complete rebuild Or am I wasting my time and effort and I may as well replace the mobo and processor Please pardon me if Looking for upgrade advice this is not the best location for this issue

A:Looking for upgrade advice

Hello Datman mate personally I would just get the SSD and do a fresh install of 7 (64bit if the board supports it) rather than muck about with upgrades but that is just me.

If you go the SSD for the OS and boot do this SSD Alignment

As for the large HDD I don't really like anything larger than 500GB but do use 1TB's from time to time - a lot to be lost if it dies - you can alway back up to externals

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/277836-looking-upgrade-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

This old Dell re-furb has done well w/XP, on a 128Mg stick (yup, 128). I'm lookin' at a 512Mg upgrade, since I do no gaming, just a few photo edit apps. And, that's 4x what I've got now.

What brands should I absolutely stay away from?

Can I mix a 512 with my 128 stick, or do I have to toss the 128?

My manual says I've got PC2100 or PC2700 DDR SDRAM (non ECC). What does that mean?

Thanks.

A:Ram upgrade advice...

Crucial are half the price of Dell and it scans your pc http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CPzn7faHnIsCFQGHlAodj1qPSA

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ram-upgrade-advice.556310/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a computer that runs Windows XP For the past two years or so people having being saying XP users should upgrade because there would be no security patches after April For the most part I dismissed that as aggressive consumerist advertisement until today I read on chan s technology board that if I do not upgrade I should quot expect a massive flood of zero day attacks that people have already been hoarding starting April quot Now my university provides me with MSDN access to install disks and serial keys for XP Vista I was thinking of doing an in-place upgrade of my XP system to Vista Hearing this they Advice about upgrade an told me quot Get a fresh windows Advice about an upgrade install if you have to A good opportunity to back up all your important files which I m sure you haven t done in years quot to which I replied that I had good backups and my first computer files dating from are still readable and that in fact I had even made myself an emulator image package for some old Macintosh systems chan then also told me to install Linux instead it s free it s designed for computer scientists by computer scientists etc I already do that the computer is used by my brother father for video gaming email The problem is that that computer has lots of programs for which I don t have installers and I don t want to spend hours reinstalling stuff I really think the most painless thing to do would be an in-place upgrade to Vista from XP Microsoft says it s possible on their site It would avoid me the whole quot no more security patches quot thing Does this kind of in-place upgrade generally go well Thank you ahead of time for any responses It seems hard to come across competent Windows technical support stuff I ve already tried IRC and chan nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

G'day all. I'm mostly PC illiterate so can u guys help plz.
The 8Gb RAM is not enough. Can you tell me whether this PC can grow to 16GB or 32GB and how many sticks of RAM are best (e.g. 8gb x 2 or 16gb x1 ---- or 2x16gb or 1x32gb)

The motherboard is a Gigabyte Motherboard DA-Z777X-D3H

Current RAM slots are two with 1 x 8gb RAM stick installed. Don't know what's written on the current RAM stick. Hesitant to pull it out as last time I caused a malfunction.

A:RAM upgrade advice plz

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z77X-D3H (rev. 1.0)

above link at Gigabyte.com says this about your motherboard:
4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory

* Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.

Dual channel memory architecture

Support for DDR3 2800(OC)/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

Support for non-ECC memory modules

Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

You can download the supported memory list from here:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z77X-D3H (rev. 1.0)

Not sure what you mean by "Current RAM slots are two with 1 x 8gb RAM stick installed".

Your board should have 4 slots, not 2.

Ideally, you should use 2 sticks total or 4 sticks total. 1 or 3 would work, but you'd give up a slight bit of speed.

If you are now using just one 8 gb stick, you should buy as near an identical stick as possible, at least matching for voltage and speed.

If you can't or won't precisely identify the stick you now have and want to be sure you won't have issues, remove the current stick entirely and buy 2 or 4 new sticks from the supported memory list.

If you want 16 total, you have to decide between buying one more matching 8, or two new 8 gb sticks.

If you want 32 total, you have to decide between buying 3 new matching 8s, or four new 8 gb sticks.

I'm not sure if your board supports 16 gb sticks, but even if it does you apparently cannot use four 16s for a total of 64. You are limited to 32 total.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/390121-ram-upgrade-advice-plz.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Alright I ve been thinking this one over for the past week or so It s come to the point where newer games don t run all that great on my computer anymore i e Bioshock and Medal of Honor Airborne at low resolutions on lowest detail So I decided that I wanted a new video card Here s the problem my mobo doesn t have PCI-e so I m stuck with AGP Here are the paths I can take Suck it up and buy an AGP card GeForce GTS to get me through another year or so Buy a mobo which has PCI-e and supports Socket and then a new video card on top of that Most of the mobos I found either were horrible in terms of ratings or were mATX Buy a new mobo new processor Advice Upgrade new RAM and then a new video card on top of that Seeing as I don t have a lot of money I m leaning towards the first option If I choose the second option I would just Upgrade Advice end up replacing the motherboard processor and RAM eventually because they re both older standards I m not realistically looking at the third option as it would cost me around for the components that I want Any opinions nbsp

No opinions? Okay, well my core question is this. How much would it be worth it to upgrade from DDR to DDR2? Am I really going to notice that much of a difference?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrade-advice.621756/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a HP6735
MOBO - Cogna
CPU - Celeron 633
Socket 370 which support Pentium 3 and Celeron CPUs.
Bus rate: 100
Intergrated Video Card (shared up to 11 mb)
Current ram 384 PC100.

My options:
1) Overclock current CPU to 1 gig. Unfortunately, I heard that Celeron 600 above have been locked by Intel. Is that true? (This option will safe me some bucks)

2) Get a new Pentium 3 with 1.1 Gig (100 Bus rate). Cost about $110.
Which one is more feasible for my upgrade? Anyone using exact SPEC as I do and successfully upgrade it?
What is the big different between the 2 options?
Thanks in advanced.

E-Q

Relevancy 44.72%

I am fed up with my case fans being too loud despite using my NZXT Sentry fan Advice Upgrade Fan controller so I am asking for some advice from you guys as to what to upgrade them to I have a maximum budget of and plan on buying from amazon co uk I want to buy mm case fans but I really like the red LED look of my case and want to reduce the noise of my case fans but keep the red LED effect I was looking at Corsiar AF red LED series fans but the amazon reviews say they are noisy so I looked at the Fan Upgrade Advice non-LED AF series fans and from what I can tell they are quieter but I won t keep the LED look so maybe the answer is LED strips around the fans how would Fan Upgrade Advice that look would it be visible from outside the case through the grill Fan Upgrade Advice but I often do overnight downloads as my internet is painfully slow and because my PC is near my bed in my room I don t want the LEDs on otherwise I will never sleep so with the remaining fan control switch could I buy a way Y molex connector to connect the light strips I need as I will have groups of fans and only one free fan control space or will I have to fill up my last remaining quot bay on my case on a generic knob fan controller for the LEDs From my research noctua fans light strips are too expensive so does anyone have any advice on case fans that won t be heard over my stock CPU cooler and as as cheap as possible so that I can buy LED light strips too assuming I would be able to see them on the outside of the case Sorry for the rambling and the wall of text but I feel it was necessary to tell you what I am thinking Thanks again -hopgop nbsp

A:Fan Upgrade Advice

Try these, I own these specific fans and they are pretty quiet even under load.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103091

They look good, and they are pretty quiet even though I have 6 running on my radiator.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fan-upgrade-advice.202636/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello Everybody I need some advice PC advice? upgrade regarding upgrades to my computer I ve had it for around years PC upgrade advice? now and never upgraded it I know shame on me but PC upgrade advice? I m getting to the point where I can t put it off any longer I mainly use this computer for graphic design work and after picking up Adobe CS not too long ago it didn t take long to realize that MB of RAM wasn t going to cut it anymore So I was looking to at least upgrade the system s RAM but started getting confused when it came to choosing the right kind and all the compatibility issues I ll go ahead and post some info about what I m working with here Motherboard info Model D GLC Version AAC - Serial Number ABLC Chipset Vendor Intel Corporation Chipset Model G PE P P DRAM Controller Host-Hub Interface South Bridge EB ER ICH ICH R LPC Interface Bridge SMBus Intel Corporation EB ER ICH ICH R SMBus Controller D h CPU Intel Pentium HT Cpu Socket Socket J E Processor Upgrade Max CPU Speed MHz System Slots PCI AGP OnBoard devices Video Disabled Intel GMCH AGP Graphics Controller Ethernet Enabled Intel Ethernet Device Sound Disabled Intel ICH Audio Device Memory Summary Location System board or motherboard Maximum Capacity MBytes Memory Slots Error Correction None Use System memory Maximum Memory Module Size MBytes Current RAM info Property Value Device Locator Slot Manufacturer Samsung Part Number M L ETM-CCC Serial Number F AFE Capacity MBytes Memory Type SDRAM DDR Speed PC MHz Data Width bits Voltage SSTL V Error Correction None Refresh Reduced x s Manufacturing Date Week EPP SPD Support No Property Value Device Locator Slot Manufacturer Samsung Part Number M L ETM-CCC Serial Number F AFE Capacity MBytes Memory Type SDRAM DDR Speed PC MHz Data Width bits Voltage SSTL V Error Correction None Refresh Reduced x s Manufacturing Date Week EPP SPD Support No I used the SIW download for this information so I hope it is accurate enough Now what I do understand and by all means please correct me if I m wrong is that the largest single stick of RAM I can put into an empty slot is GB give or take and since there are slots on the motherboard the maximum amount it can handle is about GBs The part that bogs me down is does it matter what RAM I use so long as the speed is DDR and the type is DDR SDRAM or should there be other things I need to look out for My apologies for the lengthy post but I just really wanted to get some advice on how I should go about upgrading my system since a bad experience a long time ago has made me wary when it comes to opening the case and tooling around inside Any advice at all would be GREATLY appreciated and if more info is need please let me know -Rob nbsp

A:PC upgrade advice?

What I would do would be to buy this kit;

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=575C60AEA5CA7304

take the two 1Gb. sticks and place them in slots 1 and 3 and move your two existing 256's to slots 2 and 4. This would give you about 2.5Gbs. in dual channel mode which should do everything you need it to do.

You may find this kit at Newegg or another site a little cheaper. I use Crucial in all my builds, never had a problem with any of their RAM. On upgrades where I use the existing RAM such as in your case, with Crucial I have never encountered any compatibility problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-upgrade-advice.644136/
Relevancy 44.72%

Will the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad-Core 3.4 (Deneb) 125w cpu work with the Pegatron M2N78-LA. Aka
HP: Violet6-GL8E mother board

A:Looking for advice on a cpu upgrade

I think that MB is an AM2 cpu socket. The AMD Phenom II x4 965 is for an AM3 cpu socket.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/292349-looking-advice-cpu-upgrade.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC as much as possible, the only thing holding me back is the fact that I have lost my XP disk, and I'm very reluctant to go buy another copy.

So basically my question is, what would I be able to upgrade without the XP disk, I would love to get a new MOBO, CPU and RAM, but I have a feeling that I wont be able access my hard drive again as I've heard that XP has a drastic anti piracy system that could prevent me accessing my hard disk. I also dont fancy spending ages on the phone to microsoft explaining why I used my CD has a coaster.

So what is your advice?

Thanks

Scotty

A:PC Upgrade Help/Advice

Windows activation won't stop you accessing your hard drive. If the need to re-activate kicks in, which it probably will, you'll have time to re-activate. You may get that done doing it online without a phone call. If you don't fancy talking to them fine. Go and spend 90 on a new XP disc
You don't need your disc to re-activate if your windows is still on the computer anyway.
You would need the disc to re-install windows if you ran into problems installing a new motherboard into your windows sytem which has all the device drivers/controllers etc from your old motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-upgrade-help-advice.463720/
Relevancy 44.72%

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I was wondering if I could get some guidance on how to go about upgrading a few components of my computer.

It's a Compaq Presario, 5BW131 5000 Series
Intel Pentium 3 Processor
996 MHZ, 384 MB of RAM
Windows XP Home Edition (Version 2) Service Pack 2

I would like to get a bigger hard drive and a fast processor for it. I'm not sure if there are certain kinds I have to get to make sure they are compatible with my CPU or additional components I will have to upgrade to support the faster processor and bigger hard drive. Is any brand hard drive okay, or are there certain types I need to look for? And as far as the processor goes how do I know what kind of one to look for. Thanks alot for your help..I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

A:Upgrade Advice please?

The possible CPU upgrade would be minimal.. 1133 MHz over your current 1000 unless you really go and replace everything as Zenosincks said.
Upgrading the RAM to the maximum of 512MB would give you the biggest benefit and an instant "wow" effect.

You can use any IDE hard drive, but you may need a BIOS update to get support for drives over 128GB

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-advice-please.101180/
Relevancy 44.72%

My Upgrade....

OK...here is my current setup....

Duron [email protected]
Abit KT7
Geforce 2 MX
SB Live! Value
384mb PC133
LG 12x Burner
Maxtor 40gig 7200RPM
Fuji 17gig 5400RPM

I want to drop around $500 canadian on my setup (Like $350 yankee bucks)....

Right now this is what I am planning on...

Radeon 8500 $290 + tax = $333
Tbird 1.3ghz $154.61 + tax = $177

Now I have a few questions about my timing...with the GF4 non-mx's coming up will all vidcard prices drop signifigantly or should I just go for it now?...Also do you think this is a worthwile upgrade or should I just drop that cash on a console system and wait then buy a new box next year?

Thanks...

A:My Upgrade.... need advice

i would say go for it since the gf 4 is already out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-upgrade-need-advice.366/
Relevancy 44.72%

This is rather simple I have a xp system that has several HD drives. I am going to buy a 500 GB drive and install 7 then XP if I need to. So that I can leave my previous file system intact.

The whole reason for keeping xp is for Quicken 2007 which as far as I know does NOT work with 7. So I have looked at other Quicken products and the reviews are NOT good. What program should I get to transfer to 7. Suggestions are appreciated...

thanks for reading..

A:Going to upgrade to 7 need advice

quicken 2007 should work with 7
I installed quicken 2001 on a win 7 pro x64 machine and it works just fine

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/271034-going-upgrade-7-need-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

hi,

i have a really old pc which i bought about 3 years ago, it is a model aptiva e2a, an AMD 266 with 32 mb sdram (dont know the pin). I live in australia, and am thinking of buying parts from the US to save gst etc. anyway, i have looked at price watch which has given me a site which sells a mboard combo with an AMD 1500+ chip and fan for about $260 australian dollars (130 US). If i were to buy this an have it shipped to me, would it fit my case? i am not sure if it is ATX or what, or the power supply. it turns itself off, someone told me that can matter. also, is price watch reliable? could someone give me advice on what i should get, and would i be able to attach my old 4 gb HD to the new m-board?
thanks

A:need advice on upgrade please

As long as you don't have to pay tax for the board it doesn't really matter .. and what i mean by that all the boards are the same ( doesn't matter if you use it in AU or EU ). The AMD XP works in a ATX motherboard ( same as P4 or P3 for that matter).
Now since it's an ATX board it will turn itself off as long as you use a operating system that supports that feature ( i.e win98/win ME/win2k/winXP ). When it came to your case, the only thing that you need to be concern is this . The case needs to be ATX compliant ( meaning the case will let you install a ATX motherboard inside ) and since you have a AMD 266 i'm pretty sure that you have a AT case right now with a AT power supply (99% sure about that - but to be sure crack open the case and take a look at the connector that goes from the power supply and to the motherboard. If that connector consists of 2 connectors and it's 1 row then it's a AT power supply , on the other hand if the connector is 1 piece -2 row then you have a ATX power supply. But even if you do have an ATX power supply i would suggest getting a new ATX power supply since the one that you have is old and also might give you a lot of headaches with the new AMD XP.
And yes you will be able to attach the old 4 gig HD , but since you will have a new board and cpu you'll be better off with a new hard drive as well .
Just remember the computer is as slow as the slowest component inside ---in your case the hard drive
HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-on-upgrade-please.77544/
Relevancy 44.72%

Quickly would like to know if an Asus P5P800 would except a dual core cpu some thing along the line of a 940 3.2 Ghz, currently have a 630 3.0 Ghz and because they seem to be getting really cheap I was considering upgrading. Or maybe if theres a mobo out there with AGP 8x and DDR that will except that processor.

Thanks

A:Advice on CPU upgrade

You will need to contact the manufactuer. You might also need a BIOS update.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-on-cpu-upgrade.74729/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a Dell Dimension xpsr 450 PII with 128MB of RAM. I can increase RAM to either 256MB or 384MB. Is there any advantage to increasing to 384MB over using 256 MB? My use is primarily surfing, music downloads, and other basic things.

Thanks

Relevancy 44.72%

Here's what I have:

500 mh Pentium 3
640 RAM
Nvidea TNT2 video
40 Hard drive

Where should I put my money to make my games (Morrowind, Mafia) not run choppy? Is it the processor speed or the video card? And what do you think I should get?

A:Need advice on an upgrade

The worst bottleneck is definently the TNT2.

I wouldn't put a top-of the line vid card in that machine, rather
something like radeon 8500/9500, a good GeForce 3 or a not-the-cheapest GeForce 4.

Another thing worth upgarding without buying a new motherboard is the CPU. And you should get the fastest thing your motherboard supports.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-on-an-upgrade.4726/
Relevancy 44.72%

hi all

im upgrading my HD 5550 card to a HD 6770 and i notice the ccc management is the same for both cards from AMD update. now do i un-install the ccc or could i leave it on the machine because its the same? do i have to un-install the driver from device manager for the HD 5550 shut down machine swop card over and re-boot. or is it best to un-install all the ccc and driver for HD5550 and install fresh?

A:Upgrade advice

A clean unplug\plug\uninstall\new install is always better.
Download and install the new version of Driver Sweeper.
Download the most recent software\driver for your ati AMD Graphics Drivers & Software.

Uninstall ati software\driver in Control Panel Items\Programs and Features,restart in safe mode,run driver sweeper,choose only AMD-Display and clean,restart in safe mode .

Uninstall completely the driver from device manager.

Shutdown the pc,unplug the power cord (or switch off the psu).

Open the case,touch any metal surface to earth your self avoiding static energy,unplug the old gpu,plug the new gpu.

Start the pc install the new amd software\driver catalyst,restart.

Update DirectX if needed.

Restart,enjoy your new gpu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/215447-upgrade-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Obviously, a fresh OS install is better than an upgrade. I currently have Windows 98 and can get (extremely cheap) the Upgrade version of Windows 2000 Pro. I though I saw a posting here once that said you could still do the equivalent of a fresh install with an upgrade and it's legal because you do actually own the other OS. How would this be done? I would assume it looks for certain files during the upgrade...

Or did I dream this up?

Thanks!

[side note: not sure why I put "NT upgrade?" as the subject!]

------------------
Get paid to listen to music online!
http://www.radiofreecash.com

[This message has been edited by angel (edited 07-13-2000).]

A:{Advice Given} - NT upgrade?

Yeah, it will ask for a qualifying product if you do a complete format.

All you have to do is pop in the 98 CDROM and it should find it, be okay, and keep chugging away.

***DISCLAIMER*** You previously stated that you do own a copy of 98 therefore I will assume that you are being legit in your question, and this thread will not be closed. However, TSG is not responsible if you're doing this any other way. You said you own both OS's... ***DISCLAIMER***

-M

------------------
It is easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.

Linux: The Ultimate NT Service Pack

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-given-nt-upgrade.28897/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi there

I am going to make a upgrade to my socket 754 system

Currently my system specs are:

AMD Athlon 2400+
3 x 512MB PC2700 RAM
300GB HDD
nVidia 6600 256mb AGP 8x
Antec Earthwatts 430W

I am planning to reuse my RAM, Graphics Card, Case and PSU.

So I should end up with
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 Dual-Core
3 x 512MB PC2700 RAM
nVidia 6600 256mb AGP 8x
Antec Earthwatts 430W
New Motherboard.

THIS is the motherboard I am planning to upgrade to and THIS is the processor I am planning to buy also.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Many thanks in advance.

A:Upgrade Advice 754 to 939

Don't buy that mobo.

1) ECS is a terribly low quality manufacturer
2) That motherboard has AGP which has been replaced by PCI-E.

THIS is one of the best motherboards ever made for socket 939. It has a hell load of features, dual PCI-E, support for SLI, and is good for overclocking.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-advice-754-to-939.72600/
Relevancy 44.72%

Current system is Iwill XA100Plus w/K62-450 and a Voodoo3/2000 PCI.

I want to upgrade to either the Voodoo5/5500 or one of the new Gforce 2 based boards. Any preferences?

Secondly, since I should upgrade to a processor w/more horse power is an Athlon and appropriate board a better gaming platform than PIII and mobo?

Could you suggest a MOBO/Processor combo too? There are so many choices that it gets overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

A:Upgrade Advice?

My opinion. I would get an abit bx440 motherboard (BE6 II) with a intel P3 600 E designation processor, 128 meg pc 133 ram, new gforce. The processor is almost gauranteed to run at 800 overclocked with standard cooling. Once running the processor can be overclocked from 6 x 100 to 6 x 133 with agp divider at 2/3 and pci divider at 1/4. This allows pci bus to run at defaults and the agp at 89 which the gforce cards can handle. The 600 E processor is a heck of a lot cheaper than an 800. A couple of extra cooling fans in the case wouldn't hurt either.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrade-advice.32896/
Relevancy 44.72%

Sup guys. I currently have the Intel? Core?2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4M Cache, 2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) for Socket 775 and I wanted to know what would be a reasonable upgrade for this CPU.

A:CPU upgrade advice

How much are you willing to spend?

EDIT: I'm looking to see if your motherboard supports the higher end Q9xx0 CPU family.

EDIT: I think you should be fine. Go with either the Q9550 or Q9650.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/123327-cpu-upgrade-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, I want to upgrade my HDD or install another one into my computer. How do I find out what type of HDD to buy. I am upgrading my ram to 512mb, so what size HDD do you recommend also. I believe my current HDD is 3.5". And is it possible to keep the HDD I have already and also get a new one. I don;t know how to find out if i need a SATA/ IDE/ SCSI type of HDD.

Windows Xp srv pack 2
AMD Duron processor 1.01 Ghz
Ram 120 mb
Fujitsu MPE3136AT 12.7 gig hard drive
Motherboard is a Mk20/nhttp://global.shuttle.com/Product/MotherBoard/mbd_Spec.asp?M_id=25

Thanks for your help

A:HDD Upgrade Advice

The size of HD does not have to relate to the amount of memory. 3.5" is the physical demensions of the HD.

I had a look at the link you provided for the motherboard asuming you have given the correct link your HD needs to be 'ATA100/66'. I would go for something between 40GB and 80 GB, you would not need any more and it is very difficult to get any smaller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-upgrade-advice.71761/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I ve got an Acer Aspire laptop it s about years old now and runs RAM Advice upgrade on Windows Advice on RAM upgrade Ultimate It came with Vista I m spending some money replacing some parts on it and I m looking into whether or not I should upgrade Advice on RAM upgrade the memory It s got GB of RAM so as you d guess while its not too bad for everyday browsing introducing any kind of memory intense programmes creates alot of stuttering It s got x GB modules so my two options would be to either to upgrade Advice on RAM upgrade to GB or spend the same amount again and upgrade to GB My question is whether it s worth going the extra mile and upgrading to GB Most mid range laptops these days seem to come with with GB as standard so is there any advantage to GB I realise bit Windows won t support more than so I d need to invest in a bit installation to get the most out of GB Specs if your interested Intel Core Duo T GHz Mobile Intel Express Chipset GB Ram Windows Ultimate nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello. Im looking to upgrade my current system that is really out of date for gaming.
Mobo Asus p5g41t-m lx
CPU Intel dual core e5700 @ 3ghz
4gb ram (2x2 gb) ddr3 1333Mhz
Ati HD 5450 1GB
some generic 450W PSU ( I am upgrading this first asap)

I want something that can play in high/ultra settings games like Bf3, Crysis, AC sagas, Metro 2033/Last Light, Total war sagas, Tomb Raider, among others
I will be using a max resolution of 1360x768 for those games, and I have a $220 budget for video card + PSU.

I am highly considering a Radeon 7850 1GB version + a proper power supply but I need more suggestions. Also how much bottleneck will I get if I put that card with my current dual core?

Thanks!

A:Need advice for upgrade

The dual core will bottleneck the GPU. The 7850 1GB is a good choice, but in order to play the games at ultra settings, you will need a better CPU (quad core). I think the 1GB of VRAM may struggle at ultra settings. Also, If you ever upgrade to a 1080P monitor, the 1GB of VRAM will struggle.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-for-upgrade.192559/
Relevancy 44.72%

Alright. I mainly used this computer for my work. Invoices. It is running windows XP and it is very slow. So, my question is, here are the specs. Should I just buy more ram in order to boost the speed or am I better off upgrading.. I don't mind gaming(medium settings) but I am not sure if a pc for gaming and work would go together well..

Operation System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P4P800-E
Memory: 1gb DDR Ram.
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5700LE

This is not a prebuilt pc. The previous owner built it. I am not sure about the PSU. Might have to open it up to see. The tower is pretty big. What do you guys think?

A:Need advice: Upgrade or add RAM

If this system is doing everything you need then I wouldn't bother upgrading except getting another gig of RAM. Otherwise it is not worth pouring money into because it has to be at least dating from 2007 and possibly older. Other than old games it won't run the newest.

As for the slowness it can be due to several reasons:

1. The hard drive is filled or is more than 66% filled to capacity. If so, delete or transfer information onto an external hard drive or to CD/DVD.

2. The hard drive needs to be defraged. If you find that you needed to do suggestion #1 then defrag after you transfer or delete information.

3. If you've installed newer software the hardware may not meet its demands.

4. Certain security software can make a system run slow because of resource demands. What security software do you have installed running in real time protection?

5. Infections can cause slowness. Run your security scans.
* * I believe your next move should be saving up for a new system. We can help you with this; if you go this route we need to know a) budget and b) what you want the system to do.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-upgrade-or-add-ram.171296/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,

I have a HP-Pavilion "HPE-110f" and wanted to upgrade my CPU, but I have been told by a friend that I might need to upgrade my Motherboard as-well, I will list my specs and hope I can get some advice, thanks for your time.

CPU: 2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard: Board: FOXCONN ALOE 1.01
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB

A:I want to upgrade my CPU, need advice

You have pretty much the best CPU your motherboard can support. If you really want, yeah, you could get a new CPU + mobo combo.

But, why do you want to? How much money do you have to spend?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-upgrade-my-cpu-need-advice.193994/
Relevancy 44.72%

Alright, Just bought an Hp slimline 5212y off craigslist for 50$. Great condition. Main use of this computer will be for minecraft and internet usage, so nothing super extravagent is needed. Wanting to upgrade graphics due to only being able to pull 10-20 FPS, but kinda on a budget. From what Ive researched, gonna need a low profile. Would have to upgrade my PSU as well and Im not 100% sure what route to go. Any cheap suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

A:Need upgrade advice

mathew06 said:

Alright, Just bought an Hp slimline 5212y off craigslist for 50$. <snip> Wanting to upgrade graphics due to only being able to pull 10-20 FPS, but kinda on a budget.Click to expand...

Low profile cases are never designed to be upgrade capable. Sure you can get a low profile graphics card, but as you have already discovered the power supply will likely be your biggest problem. Most low profile PC's have proprietary PSU's, making it impossible to upgrade the PSU. With only 220W's, I can not recommend upgrading graphics.

The good news is your motherboard appears to be MicroATX, which is not proprietary and will fit another case if you wish to pursue upgrading. In all honesty though, I'd say be happy with what you have. And when you decide to upgrade, look at a building/buying a new rig.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-upgrade-advice.194175/
Relevancy 44.72%

Im going to upgrade my uncles PC for him can anyone advise of a decent bunch of components I have around max and he wants new Mobo Core Duo CPU FX card PCI-E Gb Ram Case PSU Iam in UK and was looking to use eBuyer as - Upgrade Advice PC please... they seem to have best bargains CURRENT Ghz Sempron AGP Nividia GeForce Gb RAM Mhz RAM ASROCK AMD K Upgrade-NF mobo He wants Core Duo with a decent budget graphics card for AutoCAD and some Age Of Empire type games PC Upgrade - Advice please... etc mostly for AutoCAD and Adobe I was figuring on this MOBO http www ebuyer com product but ive been told the PCI-E x Graphics Slot wont be PC Upgrade - Advice please... compatible with PCI-E Graphics Cards and that a X slot if for other PCI devices like sound cards see here - gt http attachments techguy org hardware -upgrade-pci-e- x html post QOUTE quot PCI-E x and PCI-E x slot are different size and support different plug in Usually PCI-E x is made for video cards and PCI-E x is made for other plug in For example my pc has video card pluged into PCI-E x slot and sound card pluged into PCI-E x slot quot SO- When i look at nVidia graphics cards they just say PCI-E no mention of x x x - the above motherboard states that its x PCI-E Graphics Slot Im unfamiliar obviously with Graphic Cards Will this graphics card - gt http www ebuyer com product work with the above motherboard and does that graphics card have its own Mb memory or does it steal from RAM just im wondering why it says Mb DDr supporting Mb THANKS nbsp

A:PC Upgrade - Advice please...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that budget is not sufficient for the components you listed.

A decent GFX card alone is going to cost around $100.

Keep in mind that you CAN find the components for cheap enough prices to do it, but the quality of the items will be so poor that I'd be afraid to be in the room when it was turned on for fear of fires.

My two cents.

On the plus side, you can get a brand new Dell starting at $269uk. That's something to consider.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-upgrade-advice-please.689824/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey guys just bought an Inspiron 570 (AMD) and it will hold up to a Phenom II x4 (quad core right?) I am not too familiar with whats good and not with AMD . Could someone help point me into the right direction as to whats the best phenom II x4 CPU available (looking for a good Ebay deal for around 40-50 USD )
thanks

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello Recently there has been a massive fall in the price of CPU s and it seems sensible to take this opportunity to upgrade my PC my present system comprises of Board ASUSTeK Computer INC A N-SLI DELUXE XX Processor gigahertz AMD Athlon kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache Mb of Memory NVIDIA GeForce TurboCache TM Display adapter I use the machine for a whole host of Advice on upgrade please things so the more versatile I can make it the better I do intend to upgrade the graphics as funds become available but I can t see me upgrading the mother board Without going crazy and buying a top end CPU what Advice on upgrade please would you advise as a good worth while purchase from the range now available There are single core units available now which would only have been in my dreams a few months ago should I buy one of those or go for a douple core units Either way which model do you advise Thanks Mike nbsp

A:Advice on upgrade please

Hi Mike, to make it as versitile as poss, then dual core is the way, not quite sure of the specs, but if it can handle dual core then a 2.2gig X2 4200+ is what I use and it handles everthing I have thrown at it so far, do a bit of home work on the board to see what exactly is supported.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-on-upgrade-please.515268/
Relevancy 44.72%

Planning on upgrading my MB and my local vendor has this 2 boards available.

I currently have an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
These are my options that I have under consideration... Planning on putting a NVidea GeForce 8500 GS PCI-E-16x 512mb ($129) or if BestBuy gets them back in the new 9 series board for ($249)

MB Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L socket 775 for $134.00
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20GHz for $166.99

or

GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2/ nForce 570-SLI/ DDR2/ SATA2/ A&L/ for $141.99
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ Dual Core Processor for $192.99

I realize that there are better and more powerful components out there but my local retailers are very limited with what they can offer specially since CompUSA closed and I dont think newegg.com delivers to Puerto Rico. Am currently leaning towards the AMD MB.

I would appreciate any/all adivce/suggestions/recommendations.... Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi there,

I am in the process of deciding two upgrade options I am either going to replace my CPU or Graphics Card.

Here are my current system Specs:

Intel Celeron D 2.8GHZ
Asus AS8-V Motherboard
1GB DDR400 RAM
160GB PATA 8MB CACHE Hard Disc
ATI Radeon 9250 AGP Graphics Card 128mb memory

I am considering either a P4 3.0GHZ CPU I think it is classed as a P4 630 with 2MB cache or a Geforce 6600GT Graphics card with 256MB memory AGP 8

My use for my system is playing Games such as Unreal. At the moment, the games get slow when there is more action.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Looks like both are in serious need of an upgrade. But if I had to guess, I'd think you'd find more advantage out of upgrading the video card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-advice.44103/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a nvidia 9600GSO 384mb ddr3, i would like to upgrade it, but my budget goes only up to 100 euros. Could anyone suggest a nice GPU that would fit into my system and won't require a PSU upgrade? I know this one is a little old, but it sure is a lot better than my present GPU, nvidia 9800GT gold edition.

Btw. PSU is a Platinum 400w.

A:Need advice with GPU upgrade

Hello there, 4eyed!

I'm thinking about GTS 450 or GTX 550 Ti, but i don't know if it's going to be "stable" with a 400w PSU, even when i don't know if that's a generic brand because i can't find it online, only one brand called "Zebronics" and they have a "Platinum Series" but... can't tell

Either way, the GTS 450 or GTX 550 Ti are around the same price tag: 95 ~ 100?

Here: Palit GeForce GTS 450 Graphics Card with Nvidia 3D Vision Ready (1 GB, GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Good price. Good card. Good deal

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/183243-need-advice-gpu-upgrade.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot...here is the system I currently have:

Alienware
Intel QuadCore QX9770 CPU 3.20
Nvidia 790I Ultra SLI Motherboard
2 GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM
Nvidia GTX280 video card
Windows 7 Home
750W PSU

Besides buying a whole new computer...is there anything in particular I can upgrade that will give me a boost?

Can I upgrade this set up to the Intel Core i7?

I have always just bought a new computer but figured I might want to consider upgrading first before spending all that money.

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 44.72%

I am planning to upgrade my computer and need advice
on what parts to buy..I want this upgrade to last me
atleast for the next 3-4 years.

I want to buy amd processors because of the price-performance
factor..I have read that asus motherboards
are good...which asus socket A motherboard is currently popular
stable and also provides decent future upgrade options?

I read elsewhere that I should get thoroughbred
Athlon xp processors and not palomino..how to
identify one from the other and are there any
better solutions from amd?

It would great if you all guide me through the process
since I am not quite sure how to proceed further with
so many different brands and models available.

thanks

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi.
Recently my graphics card got fried so i need a new one.
When im doing that i thought i might aswell upgrade it.

My motherboard right now is ASUS A8N SLI SE

I want to get a new graphicscard and 2-3 gb ram aswell.
I'd like to be able to play games like Farcry 2 an Fallout 3.

Since i've had some issues with my computer overheating (which was the reason for my graphics card getting fried) i'd appreciate some advice on keeping my computer cool.

Relevancy 44.72%

My son is playing Minecraft, Roblox and War thunder lately. His PC is an Intel E2200 on a Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3P mobo. 2x1GB PC2 -6400 RAM, Win 7 64 bit,nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX. As with many cash is short. What do you reccomend I can do fairly inexpensive to this unit to increase his game experience?

Thank you

Relevancy 44.72%

hey all i got a almost- -years-old desktop on home with integrated graphics possible? upgrade GPU, on Advice suddenly my brother wanted to play quot the last remnant quot so i need buy new GPU so i check out the specification turns out mine is of course lack at CPU and GPU game vs mine minimum requirement E ghz -- E ghz stock no OC GB RAM -- GB RAM GB Free -- GB Free XP Advice on upgrade GPU, possible? SP -- XP SP mb -- onboard plan to buy gt well some questions what u think of ghz requirement and my ghz E i have W AcBel PSU A on V rail with pin PCIE connector is it compatible my Advice on upgrade GPU, possible? board is D GZIS its PCIE v im sure GT compatible my budget is US converted if u think GT is not enough to play the game smoothly i dont expect high details any other recommendation if it require me to upgrade my entire PC i will then cancel my plan to buy gt and wait until i got some to upgrade my entire system later this year thanks all nbsp

A:Advice on upgrade GPU, possible?

nah i think it will be fine the 9600 is ok but might try
XFX Radeon HD 4850 512MB for 89.99 free shipping buy it now though its on a 3 day special price and its alot more powerful than that 9600

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-on-upgrade-gpu-possible.132104/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi PSU Advice & upgrade on VGA Need everybody I need some advice on upgrading a PC Compaq Presario SR NX that I got as Need Advice on VGA & PSU upgrade a gift last year I recently have been wanting to get a new Need Advice on VGA & PSU upgrade graphics card and PSU to make this PC handle anything that I can throw at it while being on a budget of course -I would like to have a VGA card with a NVIDIA chipset to go into a PCI Express x slot -I would also like a PSU that is - W -high quality low budget So far I have looked around on Newegg and Tigerdirect and I see some great deals but I don t know which cards and PSUs Thermaletake Seasonic Corsair would be the best for the dollar and my system My budget for this PC is between - I know that doesn t sound like much to go with but I will only be using this PC for internet movies applications and music NOTE I AM NOT A PC GAMER I have a PS and I am happy with that to satisfy my gaming needs Also with these upgrades I plan on upgrading the OS and adding another HDD sometime in the near future Here are my specs OS Windows Vista Home Basic SP bit Processor Intel Pentium CPU Ghz RAM Corsair ValueSelect GB SDRAM DDR PC X HDD Seagate GB SATA RPM Optical Drive X DVD - R RW X RAM - R DL LightScribe SATA Graphics Integrated Intel GMA PSU W Expansion PCI slots PCI-E x slot PCI-E x slot nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

My computer specs. shows my current RAM is: DDR266 PC2100. I want to add more RAM, I currently have 1GB installed in 2 slots- 2x512MB. I'm thinking of getting a 1GB stick of RAM to add so I will have a total of 1.5GB. Is DDR333 PC2700 RAM compatible with what I have? I'm guessing it is and the clock speeds will run at what I have now but I'm not 100% sure.

A:Need RAM Upgrade Advice

It depends on if the mobo can handle the DDR333 and if it can then you are correct and you'll only run at 266. So just buy 266 again unless you want to eventually replace the 266 with a 2nd stick of 1G DDR333. (assuming your mobo can take it). Down load CPU-Z and run it to find the exact model of your mobo. Google that and you can easily get the specs for it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-ram-upgrade-advice.50190/
Relevancy 44.72%

Okay. Got a new PC here,

Gateway GM5266E Media Center - Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz
Manufacturer: Gateway Inc.

Product Short Spec:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13 GHz)
RAM installed: 2 GB DDR II SDRAM
Hard drive: 320 GB Standard
OS provided: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Tune-Up Utilities says i am running on 32 of the available 64 bits,
and i should upgrade to Windows XP Pro, now i am a gamer, i do edit
movies on here, and i like fast and good performance. so would there be
any reason why i should choose XP pro over Vista?

Relevancy 44.72%

Hey guys Currently I have a Upgrade advice Pentium D with GB of DDR RAM installed I want to upgrade but don't want to spend that much money I would like to get an i but I can't afford that however this Pentium D is really getting Upgrade advice old and starting to show its age so I'm thinking of putting in a stopgap upgrade at least until I fully upgrade in about a year and a half I've picked out an Asus LGA Motherboard and a Pentium Dual-Core E Ghz so I can reuse the current RAM I have installed along with all my existing internal and external devices Motherboard Newegg com - ASUS P QL amp EPU LGA Intel P ATX Intel Motherboard CPU Newegg com - Intel Pentium E Wolfdale GHz MB L Cache Upgrade advice LGA W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX E Do you guys think this would be a decent stopgap Upgrade advice upgrade to boost performance to more modern levels or could I pick out something better keeping it under and reusing my current RAM Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated Thanks

A:Upgrade advice

The LGA775 series is obsolete. I would recommend a Phenom x4 with an 890X motherboard for a decent brand new system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/101354-upgrade-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,

my mobo has died :-( so i am thinking this is a good time to upgrade. unfortunalty my hardware knowledge is stuck from when i built my current pc, about 2 and a half years ago.
i have 2gig (4x512) ddr 400 ram, a 2.8ghz HT northwood P4, an agp nivida gt6600, plus the usual drives.

can anyone give my some advice on what type of motherboard and processor to get? i want it to be faster than my current rig, and if possible very quiet.

cheers,
Gareth

A:upgrade advice

well m8 if you are changing mobo and p4 then the worlds your oyster really. do u want intel or amd?? is it a gamer or work?? memory will be fine but unless you have any preferences here there is a myriad of configs u can go for in my humble opinion. If it was just mobo then u wld be restricted to your p4 chip as to what mobo. Hope this gives some guidance

PS whatever u get ensure it has 4 mem slots to make use of all ur memory

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-advice.47580/
Relevancy 44.72%

hi. our school has just got a new pc for the secretary and it came pre installed with win 7 home , can we upgrade to "professional" using the same licence key . any advice howto would be appreciated. i believe we paid for a professional licence so do we download professional software or can we unlock it with key/license

A:upgrade advice ?

If you want to move to Professional you will have to buy the upgrade. You will get a new key as well.

Here is a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-774-_-Product

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/94450-upgrade-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Before I head off to college I d like to give my computer a small present for treating me so well these last couple years I built my computer about two years ago thanks to some helpful advice from Compiler cjrdriver crjdriver Can t remember and others so cheers for you guys making things like this happen I ve currently got http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E http www Upgrade Advice newegg com Product Product aspx Item N Upgrade Advice E And -bit Vista My Mobo uses a socket type Upgrade Advice which supports up to a quadcore I was thinking either adding more of the same RAM Upgrade Advice or buying sticks of GBs each as well as getting a improved video card and possibly a processor I m trying to keep this budget not a complete overhaul The only problems I ve had with my computer as of now is getting odd lines of texture shooting off the ingame graphics and occasional shutdowns due to the video card some of which is probably poor drivers for my video card w vista or it could be getting old I ve got my little guy shelled up in an Antec http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E which I believe is keeping it nicely cooled although if its not it could be the issue with the video card perhaps I ve noticed quite a bit of dust gets into the thing and I was wondering if anyone had some cheap filter recommendations to cover the inside of the front panels right in front of the blue fans Is it worth adding in some more RAM It s so much cheaper than it used to be I end up drooling when I gander through newegg Any Video Cards that will give me less problems with vista improved graphics or DX that are budget Can I do anything else without upgrading my CPU Thanks for any and all input nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, i am new here and new to upgrading my pc.

My problem is my pc, i run a:

eMachines EL1300G-01w Desktop PC
AMD Athlon 2650e 1.6GHz
2GB DDR2 160GB SATA II
DVDRW
Windows Vista Home Basic
White

I can run games on it, low graphics though.

I want to upgrade my PC, as the recent influx of good looking games temp me.
So i need help.
I found a processor, Graphics card.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz Dual-Core (ADA5600IAA6CZ) Processor
GeForce 8800 GT 256MB
Will this work?

And ram, what should i buy?
I don't wish to spend a lot so please help

Relevancy 44.29%

Hello,

I currently have a compaq presario f700. F756NR to be exact. And i was wanting to put the MD Turion? X2 Ultra Dual-Core processor in it instead of the stock one...model number ZM-86. Also wanting to upgrade the ram to 4gb of PC2 6400(DDR2-800). Can anyone help me and let me know if this is compatible..or if there is a better setup? Also i was wondering if any video card upgrades were available..i am trying to make it into a gaming computer..to play CODMW2 and Fallout 3 and games like that.

thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-with-laptop-upgrade.141063/
Relevancy 44.29%

I've got Win 2000 Pro - I'd like to clean install to Win 7 Pro (or equivalent)
FICA MotherBd - 1Gb 2700 memory - lots of Hard-drive/s space.
Intel P4, 2400 Mhz processor.
Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro - video card.
I'd like to buy the disk, not anything "pre-installed" -
Do you think my hardware will support it?

Thanks!
rossfingal

A:Upgrade from 2000 Pro to 7 Pro - Advice?!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/379243/upgrade-from-2000-pro-to-7-pro-advice/
Relevancy 44.29%

hello, well im not sure if this is in the right section but it does regard my Vista machine. So over the past 4 months ive been upgrading my old pc to be able to play high speed pc games, ive pretty much maxed out what i can do with 32bit. Ive been wondering if i should upgrade to 64bit but i dont know how to do it!

what i mean is that ive done the Performance Information and tools test and i can run 64bit. Do i just buy the upgrade package from amazon and put the CD in or do i need to do a complete reboot as to be honest im not going to do that and will pay someone.

Does anyone understand?

thanks,

frazer

A:[HELP] Upgrade to 64bit Advice

To install a 64 bit version, a clean install is required and upgrade method will not work. You will have to reinstall ALL of your programs and restore your data such as email, Office files, music, video and etc.

You also need to check and get 64 bit drivers for ALL internal and external devices, as the 32 bit ones will not work with a 64 bit OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-upgrade-to-64bit-advice.1014119/
Relevancy 44.29%

OK I wasn t sure where to post this so here goes I have a new Asus Netbook PC T running actually walking very slowly Win Starter and two other machines desktop and notebook that run XP Pro I have ran the Windows Upgrade Advisor on both of the XP machines and both will run Win bit However I read somewhere that if I am running XP bit I cannot upgrade to the bit Win using an upgrade disk Is that true If so then can I download the XP bit upgrade first and then the Win upgrade bit I will post system details below The desktop is a machine that I bought in and it has a bit AMD Athlon processor on an Asus K V Deluxe MB The Upgrade needed advice bit version of Windows XP Upgrade advice needed was not even available when I Upgrade advice needed bought this machine The notebook is a MSI MS- penryn GX and also came with Windows XP Pro bit It Upgrade advice needed was actually built to run Vista but I had it delivered with XP Pro paid extra Some of the mechanical shortcut keys have never worked The scans showed that I would need to reload my programs after I upgraded to Win and that the info for the NVDIA graphics cards was not available on both machines I have checked and both bit drivers are available form NVIDIA There is also going to be some other upgrades to be done for printers and such but all-in-all it doesn t look that complicated Both of these machine were recently recovered after Malware attacks and there are not many files to be saved so I think this is a good time to do this I have backups of both machines as of yesterday I have ordered the Windows quot Family Pack quot and am suppose to be able to do all three machines I understand that this is an quot Upgrade quot package not a full version Maybe I should return this and just do each one individually with full versions as the money becomes available I also see that Microsoft quot Outlook Express quot is no longer included with the OS I run quot Outlook quot they never mention it and have a copy of Windows Office and have always used MS Outlook as my email client Will I be able to do this after the upgrade Will the MS Office SW run with Win Notebook Intel Core Duo CPU T GHz GHz G RAM there s actually x G sticks installed this is what I hope to see after the bit OS install NVDIA GeForce M GT Desktop AMD Athlon Processor GHz GB Ram actually x GB sticks installed again looking to see all installed NVDIA GeForce OK this is getting too long Any advice anyone Soap I would like to add What about Malwarebytes SuperAntiSpyware and AVG Free I am assuming they are all compatible yes

A:Upgrade advice needed

To clarify, an upgrade disk simply means you are required to have a version (i.e. any version) of Windows previously installed. There is no "in-place-upgrade" from XP to 7, only from Vista to 7. I understand your confusion about going from 32-bit to 64-bit, but since an in-place upgrade is not possible in your situation, the question is moot.In other words, you can certainly go from XP 32-bit to Win7 64-bit via a clean install using an upgrade disk (assuming the processor is 64-bit capable, which yours is).And if I recall correctly, the "Family Pack" contains both bits (32 and 64) of Windows 7 capable of installing on 3 machines. So, you're good there.Will the MS Office 2003 SW run with Win 7?Yes, it will work just fine. You might run into compatibility issues with documents created with newer versions of Office, but the software itself will run fine. Windows Live Mail is the new free mail client from M$. Personally, I use Mozilla Thunderbird, but if you're used to Outlook, feel free to stick to that.Any other questions?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/374884/upgrade-advice-needed/
Relevancy 44.29%

Good Morning All Recently upgraded my upgrade? on mobo Advice RAM and tried to overclock my CPU OCing the CPU Q didn't seem to be a problem but the RAM Corsair Advice on mobo upgrade? x Advice on mobo upgrade? GB TWIN X - C DF won't run at Advice on mobo upgrade? at all on my mobo I just get BSODs I've turned the RAM down to and this gives me one BSOD and then boots and runs ok I've got the Q at I'm not happy with this so I've decided I need a mobo upgrade plus a better case I don't need that just deserve it lol My local PC guru recommends the Asus P Q Pro currently got P N-E SLI and I can afford that along with a Coolermaster Cosmos S I've looked at the P Q Deluxe and it doesn't really seem worth the half as much again I'd have to pay I'm happy with my current GPU BFG GTS OC although I might go for a top end ATI when they come down in price But basically the P Q Pro seems to have what I need and is supoosed to be a wicked overclocker Does anyone have any experience with this board I notice it only has phase power rather than Not really sure what that means but is it a problem I'd be glad of any comments advice Think I'd better buy this quick before my credit card becomes a piece of plastic lol Best wishes to all John

A:Advice on mobo upgrade?

I've got 8 gigs of the same ram running at 1066 on my P5Q Deluxe, don't see why 4 wouldn't run just fine for you on the P5Q Pro.

That's one of the reasons I got the Asus board. I'm not an Asus fanboy, but I read they will will often run all ram slots at faster than 800 where other boards don't, and so far it hasn't disappointed me.

Whatever you do however, don't install their crappy software. It doesn't like x64 much.

I like the Cosmos S, wish I'd gotten that instead of the 1000 at times, thought the 1000 is a lot quieter. I'm going to see if I can snag the mobo tray from the S and put it in my 1000, as I've stumbled into beta testing a lot of CPU coolers lately and it's a pain in the ass to take the mobo out all the time. I think the S has a cutout so you don't have to remove the mobo. Maybe I can convince them to send me one

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/184024-advice-mobo-upgrade.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi, I built a very good PC for running games in 2003, but its apparently time for an upgrade. New games only run smoothly on very limited settings, and some of the newer ones (Lost planet and its 2.0 shader requirement) don't run at all. Anyways, I dont want to rebuild it or anything and don't have too much money so i was just wondering what the best upgrade would be for games.

I currently have:

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz processor
1 GB of ram
120 GB and 250 GB hard drives
Radeon 9800 Pro 256 mb graphics card
400 Watt power supply

Obviously i need a new graphics card, but will that be enough to help newer games look their best?

A:Hardware upgrade advice

A new graphics card... perhaps new power supply [500 watts or thoise recommended for gaming] and if possible the new Intel Core 2 Duo..... The Ram also need some upgrade perhaps 2GB minimum...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hardware-upgrade-advice.597980/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi all! I have an "old" Asus Eee PC 1201PN netbook with Windows 7 and a crappy 5400rpm HD that's making it very slow to unusable with MS Office heavy usage. I plan to replace the internal HD with an SSD (standard 2.5" size). I want to buy a really cheap one as this Netbook is old and I only use it occasionally. Which one do you recommend? Thanks.

A:Need advice on netbook SSD upgrade

128GB Samsung 840 EVO would be good.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/326387-need-advice-netbook-ssd-upgrade.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello, im thinking of starting to upgrade my pc to prepare for the next generation of games.
I know this transaction will take a while but i want to start now to avoid having to pay out a large sum in one day.

The problem is everything I know about computers is self taught, I am more that efficient with computers but could really do with some help in just figuring out the best place to start and whats most important for me to be able to support next-gen games and run them well. I'm use to playing on High graphics but am seeing frequently more games i find it difficult to push to its limits.

any advice welcome, thank you.

P.S any advice on good cases with good cooling, relatively quiet would also be welcome. I prefer the minimalist look rather than the generic gaming cases

Relevancy 44.29%

Hello I have been thinking of upgrading for a while but i have always thought quot wait just a bit more quot But i think it s time to bite the bullet as it were My current system is average by any standards AMD Sempron socket A Abit NF series motherboard Nforce chipset mb DDR Memory Nvidia Geforce AGP I m looking to buy a wanted. Upgrade advice new processor new mobo new graphics card and more Upgrade advice wanted. memory or different memory if i opt for a DDR system Now my problems begin I m on a faily tight budget so i am drawn Upgrade advice wanted. to a new AMD AM system because of the recent price drops I am not looking for bleeding edge performance and because of my budget im reluctant to go for a brand spanking new Intel Core Duo My current thoughts are this CPU AMD AM Athlon Windsor Core Mobo ASUS M N-E NF Memory GB X MB Corsair Value Select DDR PC Graphics Card Mb XFX GT Grand total of under my budget just Your thoughts opinions and suggestions would be much appriciated Thanks nbsp

A:Upgrade advice wanted.

hi spikyalex,

looks good to me. it will be a decent performer

I assume that you'll be reusing your case, monitor, keyboard, etc...

my only suggestion would be your PSU. your new system will use more power than your old system did so you will probably need a new power supply (especially if your old one is generic).

cheers :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-advice-wanted.55787/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi folks, I love to do video editing using adobe premiere, but as videos are recorded more often in HD even from my smartphone feels like there is not enough power anymore.

My system is Biostar Hi-Fi A85W motherboard with AMD A8-6500 and 4 GB DDR3. Now I am wondering if a memory upgrade to 8 GB would really make sense in that case? Or could it be a too slow CPU and I have to replace my current board?

I will be glad to hear your advice!

A:Advice for Memory Upgrade?

That is a newly released CPU, so it is not slow. Plus, it is a quad core. If you just do basic computing tasks, the 8GB will allow you to multitask more. Check out this site for what RAM to buy: http://goo.gl/95Yh

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-for-memory-upgrade.193313/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi. I have an Inspiron 5759 running Win 10 Home 64 bit..
I have an ISO of Windows 10 Education from Dreamspark.
I'm in two minds and would appreciate some advice.
On the one hand, I'd like to completely reformat the hard drive and perform a clean install of Win 10 Education. The downside to this is:

I'm not sure what Dell has put on the partitions, would I lose some functionality? For example, Dell hardware diag?

I would have to reinstall a lot of software.

But my instincts are still telling me this is the best way to go. Is there any way to keep the extra Dell programs on the other partitions?
The alternative to a clean install is an upgrade, has anyone done this? What's your take, clean vs upgrade?
T.I.A.

A:Advice needed on OS upgrade

ALI1EAR ,
You can install the Windows 10 Education ISO. You can keep the Dell Diagnostic partition and delete the others. Yes, you will need to reinstall the software in the system. You will also need to reinstall all the drivers for the hardware as well. 
You could also look into dual booting the 2 versions of Windows 10. May be easier on you with this option.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19978607
Relevancy 44.29%

Hey peoples,

I just wanted some advice from people with first hand experience at upgrading motherboards without re-installing windows. I'm upgrading from my ASUS P8H61-M LE to Gigaabyte B75-D3V. Also means I can dual Sli my GPU.

Anyway, I've read that you can just swap the mobo and boot in safe mode and windows 7 will change the drivers. I've also read to go into safe mode to remove the old drivers, reboot and run CCleaner then swap and boot into safe mode.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Wowdude

A:Upgrade motherboard advice

Quote: Originally Posted by Wowdude

Hey peoples,

I just wanted some advice from people with first hand experience at upgrading motherboards without re-installing windows. I'm upgrading from my ASUS P8H61-M LE to Gigaabyte B75-D3V. Also means I can dual Sli my GPU.

Anyway, I've read that you can just swap the mobo and boot in safe mode and windows 7 will change the drivers. I've also read to go into safe mode to remove the old drivers, reboot and run CCleaner then swap and boot into safe mode.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Wowdude

Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer
It is more than what you say. Here is a tutorial on how to do this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/266478-upgrade-motherboard-advice.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Im new here. I just wanted to ask for some opinions on what I should do. Right now I'm looking to upgrade to a c2d system, only problem is the price will is little out of my budget. I've been looking around and found this mobo http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18719&vpn=775Dual-VSTA&manufacture=ASRock and going to couple it with the e4300, this way I can save money on getting ddr2 ram by using the ram I currently have and slowly ease myself into it. I'm just wondering if this is a good idea, or should I just wait it out and upgrade everything at once?

A:Need advice on computer upgrade

Wait for a better board. The AsRock is a decent board, but it remains a budget home board... Tell us what you will be using this system to do...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-on-computer-upgrade.70822/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi im looking to upgrade my motherboard, cpu and ram.

Currently have an amd athlon 64x2 6400+ 3.22ghz cpu
Asus m2n-e sli motherboard
4gb ddr2 (i think) ram

Im just wondering what would be a noticable performance upgrade for me? Been lookin at phenom quad cores, and ddr3 ram but not sure if it will be worth it? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

(I have a radeon hd 5770 gpu wich i wont be changeing yet, all going into a haf922 case.)

A:Solved: Advice on an upgrade please?

If I were building a system today I would get this Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1090T and Gigabyte board combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.564528 and some DDR3 1866 MHz RAM.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-advice-on-an-upgrade-please.967770/
Relevancy 44.29%

Im currently running a Core Duo at ghz and a EVGA Advice Hardware Upgrade gts I am trying to play gears of war and I get some intense lag issues sometimes Im wondering what the best way to go would be I m thinking of either getting a new processor Hardware Upgrade Advice or another video card and using sli I cant overclock because I m not confident enough and I cant get into my BIOS anyways So if anyone could please lend some sound advice I would be extremely appreciative I m also looking to fix a monitor issue I have problems with games sometimes where lines go through my screen I believe its because the monitor isn t fast enough or w e I believe it s called screen tearing I ve tried turning VSync on but it is a no go Hardware Upgrade Advice I know I m not really a Hardware Upgrade Advice big poster here I m just more of a reader it s just getting tiring having to dumb down my graphics all the time Thanks in advance C D at ghz EVGA gts mb G SKILL GB DDR PC - Gigabyte GA-N SLI-DQ Those are my full specs Please lend any hand that you can I have tried multiple sites and can t get any answers nbsp

A:Hardware Upgrade Advice

i think your cpu and graphics are fine. it's your RAM that could use a boost. 2 gigabytes is standard now. so you'd probably need closer to 4 to run smoothly.

as for the screen tearing, it might not be the vsync, but the refresh rate. sometimes adjusting it to a proper frequency gets rid of such problems. for instance, in call of duty 2, it was defaulted to 60mhz. and the monitor i usef runs at 75. so i adjusted it and visual quality improved. maybe something to try and look into. the additional RAM might help greatly as well.

a core 2 duo and an 8800gts can't be beat really...there aren't too many processors better than yours other than the q6600 processor or the 8800 ultra 768mb. the specs you have are fantastic enough and don't need to be changed in my opinion. just the RAM needs an upgrade.

and one other thing to check. sometimes graphics problems can be attributed to viruses and other things. mayhaps you should perform a check and make sure your hard drive isn't fragmented, and all that other wonderful stuff. i didn't think they made a difference, but i think otherwise now. maybe you should look into it too.

don't worry about not being a big poster or anything. nobody really cares i guess. we're all friends here so it doesn't matter. i'm 90% sure you'd post more if you had a really close friend that posted on here somewhere.

anyways. take care. i hope i helped :3

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-upgrade-advice.91848/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi can I ask some advice please, I am looking to upgrade my computer and I don?t know if I should just modify my current system or buy a new one.
My system at the moment is an Intel I7 920 @ 2.67 with 6 GB triple channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20 with a GeForce GTX 260n Graphics card.
I was looking to fit an SSD hard drive and a little more memory and maybe try a little overclocking (Just a little)
Or would I be just better getting a new system with say an Intel I7 3820 (3.6 GHz) or something similar
It is used for a lot of photo manipulation and a small amount of video editing one thing is it must be quite as I can get it.
If I go with the overclocking route and fit a new cpu cooler will that make a more noise
Regards to you all.

A:Advice on upgrade or new system please

A SSD will greatly improve the overall speed of the system. That is if you put the OS, Programs and normally used data files on the SSD and use whatever spinning HDD as just a data storage system.

I don't see any need for you to buy a new system as the one you have is almost as fast as whatever you would buy today.

Depending on what Motherboard you are using some have a built in Overclocking function that I have found works very well for mild overclocking. Keeping everything working as it should and not stressing the system to much but yet giving you that little extra Boost. Again that all depends on what Motherboard you are using, you didn't post what make or model.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/253144-advice-upgrade-new-system-please.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I built my system over a year ago and was limited to a budget but the result was fantastic for my purposes at the time I know that this for gaming my advice on little upgrade what Need rig to a isn t the best system in the world but I am trying to figure out what I should focus on upgrading first I Need a little advice on what to upgrade for my gaming rig have had some FPS issues in new games like GW Planetside and even Firefall I ll post the CPU-Z image of certain components and please tell me what you think needs help I do have concerns about the RAM It came out of a prebuilt HP PC and not something I bought new I doubt that GB of DDR is too little but it it maybe just low performance RAM If this is possibly the issue what should I be looking at for replacement Quadcore i wouldn t imagine this being an issue but let me know what you think My motherboard This was my first suspect however everything I have been able to find about my card is telling me that the card isn t outdated and should perform well Anyway I thank anyone who can offer advise in advance If you need more information about my rig or anything else feel free to ask and I ll respond ASAP I haven t been reading up on components or really keeping up on that sort of stuff for some time so it puts me at a disadvantage when I try to research upgrades nbsp

A:Need a little advice on what to upgrade for my gaming rig

Ram is standard speed pretty much...CPU should be fine...I honestly dont know. Planetside 2 requires quite a PC as far as I have played...might be your graphics card at this point although its honestly not awful..CPU shouldnt be a bottleneck, as far as I know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-little-advice-on-what-to-upgrade-for-my-gaming-rig.187531/
Relevancy 44.29%

I would like to start creating/editing my own DVD's.
I am running XP and currently have (2) different programs that came with my Compaq machine 2 years ago. They are:

Pinnacle studion Version 7.15.1

DVIit- Sonic by Compaq

Both are scaled down versions and need to be upgraded to get the full blown program.

I also have Roxio CD Creator 5 basic which could be upgraded to include a DVD editior.

I would like to either upgrade or purchase a complete new program that is easy to use and stable. Since both of the programs I have were developed about the time XP came out, I have got to think there are some big improvements now.
I have experienced some "lock ups" with the Pinnacle program and have noticed some comments from other people that the newer version is not much better.

Please offer me some suggestions. Thank you.

A:DVD Software Upgrade Advice

I've never heard a bad word about Nero 6 for dvd burning. (Roxio support stinks).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-software-upgrade-advice.192593/
Relevancy 44.29%

Currently I'm thinking of upgrading a few parts on my computer and considered buying a Motherboard. Sadly hardware happens to be my weakest area; if anyone has any good ideas as to what motherboard (or if I should purchase one at all) or what part I should upgrade first. Thanks.

Relevancy 44.29%

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer for christmas, but am unsure of what exactly is necessary. I do not know much about computers myself, and the current configuration has been built up by a friend's father over the last 3 years. I mainly use the computer for gaming and media purposes, i.e. dvd's, music etc. I currently have the following:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack2
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+
2.41 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT 256 Mb
Nvidia nForce4 Ultra chipset
Realtek AC97 Audio or something like that?

Any advice?

Relevancy 44.29%

I own an XPS 400 desktop that I would like to upgrade its hardware to make it run like a new "current-gen" computer. I would like to enable it to run newer games like Black Ops II or maybe GTAV at around a 30 FPS at least, if I have to lower the graphics to allow it to run I do not mind, as I would prefer not to pay a lot of money because I simply do not have a lot of money. My XPS 400 has 2.50 GB of RAM, a Intel Pentium D processor, an ATI graphics card, and a 2.80GHz power supply.

A:XPS 400 Hardware Upgrade Advice

Update the Bios to Latest.  And look for a cheap pentium D 900 series UNLESS you already have one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000IEO964/ref=sr_1_2_olp?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1435836109

The reason for this is that with the pressler 900 series pentium D you can run 64 bit windows 8 or windows 10.  The 915 is as low as $9 on ebay.  You can use 915 all the way to 960.
Games will require a better GPU.  Geforce GTX 750 TI is the sweet spot for price vs speed so this is where you would spend some money.  And this is also not good money after bad because you can always get a newer system and move that card to it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00IB9P1KG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687702

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19639355
Relevancy 44.29%

I am starting the process of upgrading my home computer.
First step: motherboard.
Can any one suggest a new motherboard that will support a AMD k6-2 400Mhz processor?
Thanks

Relevancy 44.29%

hey all,

I don't post here very often, but I really need some advice on a new system configuration I was looking at, as my PC is at that point in its life where it's time to put it to sleep.

A friend of mine who works in IT says ASRock systems are pretty awesome, and that many of his coworkers use them. They look pretty decent, and I was considering getting one myself since I'm due for a new system.

I'm out of tune with the newest processors and graphics card, and what would actually be considered a high-end system. I do video recording, some gaming, music/photos, etc.; all the stuff that would require a decent system. Would the link below be sufficient for today's standards?

I appreciate any help.

ASRock Vision 3D 252B Intel Core i5 2520M Intel HM65 none 1 x HDMI Remote Control Barebone

ASRock Homepage

A:Need advice on new system upgrade

Evo,

I suppose its all in on how much money you are willing to spend. It is usually cheapest to purchase individual parts or "package deals" of parts and assemble them yourself, but that computer doesn't look shabby.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/203706-need-advice-new-system-upgrade.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello Folks Well I'm thinking of going further into debt and doing a major upgrade Initially this thought was prompted Upgrade Please Advice Time! by the release of Lynnfield i However the more I look at it it seems that I might as well go for an i The upgrade path from i isn't Upgrade Time! Advice Please clear and I would still have to get a new mobo and RAM This works out quite expensive and for not much more I can get an OCd bundle of i at or Ghz plus Gigabyte EX UD plus a new cooler This seems a better deal to me and I believe that the Westmere chip will use LGA Anyone know if this is true So this is what I'm considering OVERCLOCKED Intel Core i D Stepping SLBEJ Ghz GHz Max Gigabyte EX -UD Intel X Motherboard Corsair XMS GB PC - C DDR Corsair H Bundle or OVERCLOCKED Intel Core i D Stepping SLBEJ Ghz GHz Max Gigabyte EX -UD Intel X Motherboard Patriot Viper GB DDR PC - C MHz DDR Bundle This second bundle comes with a Noctua NH-U P SE HSF and both bundles can be seen here Systems PCs amp Bundles Overclocked Bundles - Overclockers UK The first with the mini water cooler H is cheaper Other than that and the RAM there's not much difference I don't know much about Patriot RAM but it has a good rep So assuming I go for one or other it seems to be down to the cooler I've combed various forums and got completely different viewpoints on the H cooler It draws cool air across the radiator into the case but I'm using a Cosmos S with three mm exhausts at the top so hopefully this would draw the heat out The Noctua of course is quite well rated but some reviews put the H as better than any standard air cooler though not as good as proper water cooling So I'd welcome comments on my decision to give i a miss and any advice regarding which of these bundles to choose would be most helpful particularly regarding the two different cooling systems Thanks for your time John

A:Upgrade Time! Advice Please

IMO If your going to upgrade why not upgrade to the i7 and eliminate the feeling hey maybe I should have got the i7 instead of the i5 besides when upgrading I always try and go as far as my money can take me, since the evolution of faster better hardare is so quick. Meaning you won't feel the need to upgrade sooner. IMO. fabe

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26356-upgrade-time-advice-please.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I NEED TO UPGRADE MY PC, I AM A BEGINER.
This Is What I've Been Offered For 500
Athlon Xp 2600+
Athlon Base Unit
Mother Board 4* Usb
128mb Geforce Fx5200
Midi Tower Case 300 Watt
120 Gb Hard Drive ( 7200rpm )
512 Mb Ddr Memory
16 * Dvd Cd - Rom Drive
3.5 Floppy Drive
3d Stereo Drive
Speakers
Keyboard, Mouse
56k V90 Pci Modem
10/100 Lan Card
Ms Windows Xp

WOULD YOU SAY THIS IS A GOOD DEAL.
I AM FROM THE HP2 AREA IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYWHERE FOR ME TO LOOK.

A:advice on upgrade needed

do you want to build yourself or get someone else to make it for you????
there are some people around from the UK on this forum - so you will get replies valid from UK

are you going to build it yourself - or is this shop bought

which part of the UK are you in

does not sound great - i had this type of PC made a year ago but with a DVD writer and they have halfed in price.

if you upgrading - do you need a mouse/keyboard/speakers etc??

I put some prices on a reply recently for a 2600+

i have put some best guess prices next to the items

post a thread and see what other advice or websites you get.

see aprox prices added to your list
Originally Posted by HAMMER 1
I NEED TO UPGRADE MY PC, I AM A BEGINER.
This Is What I've Been Offered For 500
Athlon Xp 2600+ about 50-60
Athlon Base Unit - not sure what this is
Mother Board 4* Usb - anything for 30 to 70 depending on make and facilities
128mb Geforce Fx5200 - this is 50 max i think
Midi Tower Case 300 Watt - low power 400w would be better
120 Gb Hard Drive ( 7200rpm ) about 50 -60
512 Mb Ddr Memory - about 70 - maybe more depends on speed
16 * Dvd Cd - Rom Drive - pounds (15)- not even a writer
3.5 Floppy Drive - 2 - 33
3d Stereo Drive - ????
Speakers - 10
Keyboard, Mouse - 5 - 10
56k V90 Pci Modem - usually part of motherboard
10/100 Lan Card - as modem
Ms Windows Xp - about 50

WOULD YOU SAY THIS IS A GOOD DEAL.
I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE POSTED THIS ON THE FORUM, BUT I NOTICED A THREAD YOU REPLIED TO AND THOUGHT BECAUSE YOU WERE FROM ENGLAND AT LEAST YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND THE UK PRICE STRUCTURE.
THANKYOU FOR ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME.

some websites
http://www.a-dcomputers.com/
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm
http://www.pcindex.co.uk/
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/Find_Us.html
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-on-upgrade-needed.295971/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi all I recently reformatted my computer and Need On Video Advice Upgrade. upgraded my memory and video card to try and get some newer games working better Most of Need Advice On Video Upgrade. the games I am playing with are not that new Battlefield Day of Defeat Source Call of Duty and Company Of Heroes I have an AGP slot so that limits me a bit on my video choices I tried a Geforce mb card which should have done the job but I had a lot of performance issues out of it I am thinking that it may have just been a bad card because when I put my old ATI Radeon back in I am running better that I was with the newer card Anyway I have returned the and I am wondering what to try next I really want to make the right choice here so I hope there is someone out there that can give me some good advice Thanks so much for your help here is some of my technical info and some links to of the cards that I am considering My Info P ghz processor on an ASUS P V X-X motherboard running on WINXP home edition gig of PC DDR memory ATI mb video and Creative SBLive bit external audio watt power supply These are the AGP cards that I am torn between Geforce mb http www newegg com Product Product asp N E ATI mb http www newegg com Product Product asp N E Geforce mb http www newegg com Product Product asp N E Ati mb http www newegg com Product Product asp N E Thanks again for your help Monkeyshine

A:Need Advice On Video Upgrade.

Is this issue solved ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/80212/need-advice-on-video-upgrade/
Relevancy 44.29%

hi

I want to upgrade my processor and need some advice like what the fastest processor that is compatible that i can buy and if anyone has some links to where i can buy it. Also if i need cooling and what is a recommended.

here are some details

BIOS Properties:
Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version VI31E304
Release Date 06/05/2002

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer Intel
Version Intel Pentium(R) 4
External Clock 400 MHz
Maximum Clock 2200 MHz
Current Clock 2200 MHz
Type Central Processor
Status Enabled
Upgrade ZIF
Socket Designation Socket 478

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2200 MHz (22 x 100)
CPU Alias Northwood

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard Name FIC VI11/VI31

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

If you need some more info http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07531&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=82332

A:processor upgrade advice

Hello, invisibleman, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your question, going by what the HP site says, that's pretty much the best cpu you can get

if you wanted something even better you could upgrade to a socket LGA775 motherboard and get any of the latest intel processors, including the quad core ones

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-upgrade-advice.88188/
Relevancy 44.29%

I am massively going to be upgrading my computer in about a week I am going to be replacing my current motherboard RAM CPU and video card My current system is a Pentium GHZ Hyper Threaded with GB DDR mhz PC memory Asus P C Deluxe motherboard ATI X Pro I am going to upgrade to a Core Duo E GHZ with mhz bus GB Corsair mhz PC RAM Asus Striker Extreme motherboard with SLI support and Nvidia Upgrade questions/advice GTS graphics card I am purchasing a Ninja Heatsink with Upgrade questions/advice a nice fan for this new system as well I have the following questions though I currently run Windows XP Home Edition upgrade version on my computer I have hard drives installed on my current system The XP is on my C Drive Will I have to reinstall Windows XP when I do my massive upgrade I m pretty sure i will If so will the hardware signature feature of Windows XP prevent me from being able to install the operating system I am speaking about Microsoft s anti-piracy system that records your hardware setup digitally and makes you register a key with M so that it fingerprints it with your system Will this prevent me from completing my upgrade How can you get around this annoyance besides changing over to Linux LOL Will I likely need to flash the BIOS so that it has the newest BIOs version If so do I just install the software with the board the OS etc and boot for its post and then once everything is installed and ready just insert a floppy with it and flash Thanks all you guys are fantastic nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

I am upgrading my computer Basically buying a new one as I am replacing everything but the GPU that is for a few months later Currently I operate with GB DDR ATI Radeon HD P B Premium Motherboard ASRock Intel Quad Core Duo my apologies but I forgot which socket and Mhz After years of constant looking and saying - Maybe another time I decided to upgrade finally Its a budget upgrade for the love of god the prices are too much So I stopped myself on the following Intel Core I - x GB Kingston HyperX Fury Mhz and here of PC MB) (specifically Need advice on upgrade comes my doubt MB MSI B A Gaming Pro - I originally wanted Z oc formula ASRock but as it was not compatible with or DDR - I had to find an alternative and the ASRock Z oc formula is too expensive for me now Now I have always been a fan of Gigabyte ASUS and ASRock MSI has always been a shady and bad manufacturer After speaking with the technician from the store he kept convincing me Need advice on upgrade of PC (specifically MB) that MSI Need advice on upgrade of PC (specifically MB) are currently better than ASRock even Less defects better performance and more options and customization What are your thoughts - gt am I making a mistake Should Need advice on upgrade of PC (specifically MB) I look for something else What should I look for I dont think I want to overclock I game on PS mostly and rarely on PC I need the computational power of an I core but going over this I dont think its needed Still budget is an issue as I cant spend more than the above items or - - Please help me I understand too little of hardware and today - when you can have a choice of CPU and the same amount of other components to chose from with minor tweaks or changes its insanity even for me Thank you

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/need-advice-upgrade-pc-specifically-mb-4598601/
Relevancy 44.29%

Running Windows 7 with 4GB RAM. Just got 2 extra 4GB DIMMS but HP manual says that speed is 1333 MHz if no more than 2 of the 4 slots used but drops to 1066 MHz if with more than 2.

Do I go for 8GB at 1333 MHz or 12GB at 1066 MHz? Gut feel is for 12GB but I'm not sure what effect speed drop will have.

Will take the plunge and upgrade to Windows 8 shortly, so speed vs total RAM may be more of an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

A:Memory Upgrade advice

You would never notice the difference in speed, and even after running specific benchmarks, you won't see much of a difference on paper. RAM timing and speed are two parts of a computer build that people spend FAR too much time worrying about and considering, when it really has very little, and no noticeable affect on actual performance. Base your memory decision on the capacity you need.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262833-memory-upgrade-advice.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have been reading some very good reviews of the Samsung SSD in the link Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 2.5inch SSD - Ebuyer but am unsure if it is compatible with my Win7 64bit PC. The existing hard drive is a 465GB Samsung HD502HJ ATA Device (SATA) if this helps. Sorry for the bother but I am a pensioner who never grew up with modern tech like younger people. Any advice much appreciated.

A:SSD Upgrade Advice Needed?.

Hiyya blues I can confirm the Samsung is an excellent drive have 5 myself.

If you intend cloning the existing drive to the SSD then it will have to be the same size as it. There are way of cloning partitions but I am guessing you only want the OS to boot from the SSD and use the spinner for data.

Otherwise you are going to do a clean install onto the SSD all over if so you will need to unplug all other hard drives before you do that Clean Install Windows 7 plus I am presuming you have the original install media if not there is another way of doing that but we shall let you know what that is if that is the case.

By the by I am in your age group too

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/379566-ssd-upgrade-advice-needed.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hey
I'm thinking of getting a i5 2500k, Asus P8Z68-V Intel Z68 and then I'm currently stuck on what memory to get. I have a A70 Corsair cooler to use with the CPU for over clocking. Any advice would be great, any recommended motherboards or ram? I am defiantly going to overclock. If im correct the multiplier is used heavily with the new CPUs which wouldn't affect the ram, so can i buy high 2000mhz ddr3 ram?

Cheers.

Relevancy 44.29%

I need to upgrade my Ram and I want to make sure I get the right thing I checked and I do know that I have a pin Given} Help RAM I Upgrade need / Info {Advice on DIMM I want to get at least MB Ram or MB Ram but I don t know if my system can support MB Here is the info about my system from Belarc System Model Windows VIA Technologies Inc VT Processor a Main Circuit Board megahertz AMD K - w DNow kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache Board Tekram Technology Co Ltd P M -M Rev {Advice Given} I need Help / Info on RAM Upgrade X Bus Clock megahertz BIOS Award Software International Inc PG {Advice Given} I need Help / Info on RAM Upgrade Drives Memory Modules Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space E-IDE CD-ROM X TKU Generic floppy disk drive quot Generic IDE hard disk drive GB Megabytes Installed Memory Megabyte Module Size - Installed Memory Sockets are Empty If you need more info let me know I really need an upgrade BADDDDDD thanks Tina nbsp

A:{Advice Given} I need Help / Info on RAM Upgrade

Hi Phenolred1
System Memory:
(3) 168-pin DIMM Sockets
Maximum 768MB RAM
4MB or 8MB of System RAM is used for Video RAM - Adjustable in BIOS Setup

This info copied from this page http://www.tekram.com/Hot_Products.asp?Product=P5M4-M
Good Luck Hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-given-i-need-help-info-on-ram-upgrade.41022/
Relevancy 44.29%

Well I have finally decided that it is time to upgrade my computer With Advice for Upgrade Gaming all the new games coming out I m trying desperately Advice for Gaming Upgrade to keep up with them Unfortunately if I want all the eye candy turned up I usually need to set my resolution to x I can run x with medium graphics Anyway I need to know your opinions on what the best upgrade s would be for my budget of around Actually why don t we say the best for and the best for not sure if I m willing to kick out right now though Here is my current setup Aluminum Chieftec Dragon Case GB RPM HDD GB RPM HDD Thermaltake PurePower W PSU HP CDR RW Drive Floppy Drive Asus A N X Mobo x MB Dual Channel RAM MHz - - - Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer AMD Athlon Same as regular Athlon less heat cpu multiplier unlocked because Mobile Ethernet LAN Card Aerocool Deep Impact Heatsink w fans attached ATI Radeon w L shaped memory Newegg has some awesome deals on some refurbished items They have a couple pros for around - that would be in my price range Anyway let me know what you guys think All opinions are appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Advice for Gaming Upgrade

X_Gamer7 said:

Well, I have finally decided that it is time to upgrade my computer. With all the new games coming out, I'm trying desperately to keep up with them. Unfortunately, if I want all the eye candy turned up, I usually need to set my resolution to 800x600. I can run 1024x768 with medium graphics. Anyway, I need to know your opinions on what the best upgrade(s) would be for my budget of around $100. Actually, why don't we say the best for $100 and the best for $200 (not sure if I'm willing to kick out 200 right now though ). Here is my current setup:
Aluminum Chieftec Dragon Case
40GB 5400RPM HDD
160GB 7200RPM HDD
Thermaltake PurePower 420W PSU
HP 9100 CDR/RW Drive
Floppy Drive
Asus A7N8X Mobo
2x 256MB Dual Channel RAM @200MHz (2-3-3-7)
Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 Gamer
AMD Athlon 2600+ @ 3200+ (Same as regular Athlon 3200+, less heat, cpu multiplier unlocked because Mobile)
10/100 Ethernet / LAN Card
Aerocool Deep Impact Heatsink w/ 2 fans attached
ATI Radeon 9500 w/ L shaped memory

Newegg has some awesome deals on some refurbished items. They have a couple 9800 pros for around $75-$90 that would be in my price range. Anyway, let me know what you guys think! All opinions are appreciated!
thanksClick to expand...

yeah, 9800pro 256mb if you can find one in your price, which you may be able to. The other card thats a little better is the 6600GT, that would probably be $150 to $230 range new.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-for-gaming-upgrade.382514/