Windows Support Forum

Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

Q: Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

Hi I am in the process of doing a clean re-install of Windows XP for Home on my PC I have hard drives c gb Maxtor SATA drive - bootable with Windows seeing Hard - Problems, drive new not Bootup Drive hard Help Windows required Options XP existing Windows install d gb Maxtor IDE drive Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options - non bootable data drive g gb Maxtor IDE drive - bootable with the clean install of Windows XP for home on it Windows is not seeing all the sizes quite right yet but I will tackle that when I have solved Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options this major problem that follows If I boot from the C drive - I have no problems at all Windows will see all the different drives as it should do I can access them all and they all work fine When I come to boot the clean install on drive G windows changes the drive letters - G becomes C D remains as D but the gb Maxtor SATA drive isn t Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options seen at all and might as well not exist Disk Management within Windows is no help as it can t see the drive Maxtor software MaxBlast is also no help as it can t see the drive on this install either I have checked and rechecked the BIOS but have pretty much discounted any issues here as it clearly shows all drives and all drives are listed on boot up It s just when Windows kicks in that I have the problem I guess it s a simple setting somewhere but I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to think what it is - so any ideas would be very gratefully received Thanks in advance and kind regards Stuart nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

Hi
This is what I would do to enhance performance and storage strategy:

1. Use the 20g for the os and housekeeping utes such as av, spyware, etc only, nothing else goes on that drive.
2. Use the 160g for apps installs.
3. Use the 200g for data.

This might get you past the bios/firmware/os/drive letter issue and make better use of the drives. The 20 isn't really good for storage anymore, but would be great for an os/system ute drive. It's performance is less than the other drives, but that's ok, most of the os will stay in ram anyway after boot, you won't make any real diff having a faster os drive.
You might want to place a pagefile on each drive so pageing can occur concurrently too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-bootup-problems-help-required-windows-not-seeing-new-hard-drive-options.34935/
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi All
I have an external HD has been working for for a few years but now get "access is denied"
gone through the standard options on permissions.

enclosed screen grab
any ideas
thanks Mike

A:Permission problems Hard Drive - standard options not visable

Are you saying that you are unable to access Local Disk F?
What is the size and model of your ext. HDD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/374567-permission-problems-hard-drive-standard-options-not-visable.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Hi I REALLY hope someone out there can help me Hard as Hard Partition 1T appears Problems! Drive/ Solved: My 8Gigs?! Drive with this I have a failed hard drive stuffed partion and i DESPERATELY need the data from it A computer was brought into me with two hard drives The owner asked me to set up a duel boot with vista and XP on the first hard drive and to leave the second hard drive alone its his backup drive with all his Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! photos movies etc I was working away as per usual when i noticed the second hard drive was no longer coming up in Windows Explorer Well it was but not correctly whenever i clicked on it it said would you liket to format the drive obviously i didnt want to do that I ran Partition Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! Magic which showed the drive was only Gigs it should have been T or Gigs Partition Magic also said there was a problem with the drive and offered to fix it I agreed however there was no change I ve run a number of programs to try and fix the drive Acronis Disk Director Server Partition Table Doctor Demo Dtidata Partition Repair Tool MHDD Recover My Files v FileScavenger However all the partition repairers claim that the drive is only Gigs and they can go no further All the File Recovery Programs will only scan for Gigs and thus i can not recover my clients precious photos and videos The BIOS comes up as recognizing the drive as Gigs I really REALLY need the Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! data from this drive Does anyone know how to fix my problem Thanx heaps in advance Ben nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?!

I've used ZAR to recover files from a RAID box that seemed to have been corrupted due to a bad power supply.

You might check it out. It's free. Meaning it will only allow you to recover so many files at a time. I bought it, and like it.

They have a forum that is monitored quite often, from the developer too.

Good luck.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-partition-problems-my-1t-hard-drive-appears-as-8gigs.858100/
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello, I purchased an Inspiron 15R today and wanted to do a clean install of Windows 7 right out of the box. I'm using a Windows 7 disk from another machine.

I formatted the drive and all of it's partitions (recovery etc.) and installed the OS. After booting though I get sent to an error screen that tells me Windows had an error starting up and that I should choose a way to startup with the usual safe mode etc. No matter what I choose it sends me to this screen. So I booted from the disk again to attempt to format and reinstall, but now I have no disk drives to install to.

I have run a diagnostics check and nothing seems to be wrong, the HDD is still being recognized in the BIOS.

What can I do to get my HDD back and showing up in the install destination options?

A:Hard Drive options not showing up for clean Windows 7 install

Did you buy this computer brand new or used?If brand new its got a warranty and id take it back to where you bought it.If used a lot of places give a 90 day warranty and again id take it back and see what the problem is.The dell inspiron 15 r already comes with windows 7 in it so im lost as to why you need to install windows 7 at all unless theres some kind of a problem.What was it doing that you had to do an install or reinstall on it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-options-not-showing-up-for-clean-windows-7-install.1048291/
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello, I purchased an Inspiron 15R today and wanted to do a clean install of Windows 7 right out of the box. I'm using a Windows 7 disk from another machine.

I formatted the drive and all of it's partitions (recovery etc.) and installed the OS. After booting though I get sent to an error screen that tells me Windows had an error starting up and that I should choose a way to startup with the usual safe mode etc. No matter what I choose it sends me to this screen. So I booted from the disk again to attempt to format and reinstall, but now I have no disk drives to install to.

I have run a diagnostics check and nothing seems to be wrong, the HDD is still being recognized in the BIOS.

What can I do to get my HDD back and showing up in the install destination options?

A:Hard Drive options not showing up for clean Windows 7 install

You can not use an OEM Windows 7 DVD meant for one machine on another.

Also you mentioned "Recovery etc." did you delete the Recovery partition which is used to reinstall Windows to factory defaults?

Is your Windows 7 DVD an OEM or retail DVD?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-options-not-showing-up-for-clean-windows-7-install-639390.html
Relevancy 97.61%

I had a thread someone drive-question xp hard Solved: drive if win98 windows time?? hard has with earlier and forgot to ask a couple Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time?? of questions I was told I could take a hard drive from a windows computer and the person is buying a new Windows xp so I can hook up the win hard drive as a slave to the new computer with win xp so I can drop and drag or cut and past files that they want off the hard drive put on their new computer Now If their new computer with the win xp on it if there is an ide cable going to the hard drive and nothing else then I can hook up the win hard drive to the same ide cable as a slave and no problem However if the windows xp computer has the hard drive on the ide cable and also the cd-rom then is it ok just to hook up another ide cable to their mother board and hook the hard drive from the windows computer on the end of that ide cable as the master and by turning the computer off and then hooking up the hard drive and then turning the computer back on it should reconize the windows hard drive in my computer right away right If I would have to put the windows hard drive in the new computer on a seperate ide cable is it ok to have it as master cause the hard drive that is already in it would be master to but it would be on a different ide cable I am hoping the new computer just has the hard drive on an ide cable by itself so I can just hook the other one up as a slave and get the files and be done with it How ever if someone could give me a couple or three scenario s with ide cables and hooking this up I would be very much appreciatetive It would be a new computer with windows xp home or pro and wanting to hook up a hard drive from an old computer with windows to get the files off from it Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time??

Yes - you understand it correctly

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-hard-drive-with-win98-hard-drive-question-if-someone-has-time.388045/
Relevancy 95.89%

I did this on a Compaq Presario c500 and now i have no audio coming over my laptop. HELP!

A:Windows Vista Hard Drive replaced with XP Hard Drive. No audio.

You need to install the proper drivers for your hardware. All of the drivers you need are right here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-hard-drive-replaced-with-xp-hard-drive-no-audio.681812/
Relevancy 95.89%

my hard drive crash and i just bought a new hard drive. but i dont have a windows cd only product key on my desktop case.how can I install windows on my new hard drive?

A:hard drive crash... install windows on new hard drive withou...

Galilee Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about wanting to restore your PC and wanted to help -- but need more information. Your PC did not come with Win10 preinstalled, so if you were to order HP Recovery Media and use that, it would restore the original operating system, drivers, and HP utilities.  I presume this is NOT what you want, right? So, while you can make Win10 media to recover your PC, it would be a clean-install and nothing would be preserved. You can make such media using this tool: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit).  While you CAN change these settings, do NOT. If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code! Good Luck 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hard-drive-crash-install-windows-on-new-hard-drive-without/td-p/5686961
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello All My mother s computer Gateway PC running XP ProShe denies dropping or hitting the computer ever She Not Found" Drive Was on "Hard bootup. did say that she had left the computer on for a couple of days with the doors to the cabinet closed It s a wooden cabinet with air holes She turned it off Then the next "Hard Drive Was Not Found" on bootup. time she turned it on she got the message quot Hard Drive "Hard Drive Was Not Found" on bootup. Was Not Found Please consult the Troubleshooting section of you User s Manual quot Full version in below When I checked out the computer this is what I did and what I found I turned on the computer and immediately could hear the drive quot clicking quot sounded like a lawn sprinkler quot click-click click-click click-click etc quot Never heard the typical quot grinding quot sound "Hard Drive Was Not Found" on bootup. Got the quot Gateway quot logo screen for about a minute Then black screen with white lettering quot Hard Drive Was Not Found Please consult the Troubleshooting section of you User s Manual quot quot Press ESC to prevent displaying this warning in future quot quot Press Enter to continue quot Pressed quot Enter quot Blinking Cursor on Black Screen like in a Dos Prompt Turned the computer off and then back on quot A Problem with the hard drive has been detected Consult the troubleshooting section of your user s manual quot quot Press Enter key to continue quot Pressed the Enter keyCHKDSK ran Verified Indexes Security Descriptors and Replacing Bad ClustersThen went back to the message from above Hit Enter again quot Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt Windows system hal dll quot Please reinstall a copy I tried inserting the OS Disc and restarting the computer Off On button but got the same messages CheckDisk only ran that one time Is this computer toast Doc

A:"Hard Drive Was Not Found" on bootup.

FWIW: Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503 I'd run the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console, as a first step.Then...I would run the chkdsk /r command on that boot partition/drive, since it seems that you have some drive problems.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/228383/hard-drive-was-not-found-on-bootup/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi guys.
THe HD on the PC I'm using has started making a lot of noise when booting sometimes. Sometimes it's fine (as it used to be), but sometimes it makes a whining whirring sound - like it needs oiling!
Any ideas?
Does it mean the HD is on it's way out?

Ta
Gram

A:Hard drive noise at bootup

Gram123,
I'm not sure of the make of your hard drive but this might be a start Maxtor . Won't link directly, product support/knowledge base/find answers and search hard drive noise.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-noise-at-bootup.82788/
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi All,

I am trying to upgrade the hard drive which has my operating system on it.
I disconnect all drives except the one which has the operating system and the new drive which will replace the old one.
I use Norton ghost to copy from the old to the new but when i connect the new drive only it does not boot into windows.
I beleive i have to make the partition of the new drive as active but at what stage do i have to do this?
Do i just have the new drive plugged in and then change the drive to active?
Can someone please explain exactly what i need to do.

Cheers

A:Upgrading hard drive help required

Yes it has to be active. And is ghost copying the system reserve partition to the new drive ?
Also you may want to try doing a startup repair with your install disc up to 3 times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/212371-upgrading-hard-drive-help-required.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi

My computer will bootup and flash the windows98 screen and then goes to C:\ prompt. Can anyone tell me what to do next? I can not get the cd-rom to work now it said no driver or drivers found. Eve

Relevancy 94.17%

Alright I m not on what the problem is but I m sure and I (hard issue think) on Serious bootup related... drive I appreciate any help you guys give me on solving this I recently had my computer formatted Getting to the point everything was working perfectly it was booting up extremely smoothly the drivers were all working then I was updating my computer with microsoft windows updates specifically the Service Packs up to service pack However during one of the updates that required me to restart my computer took an extremely long time to boot up minutes or so and it became extremely slow and laggish at the first load screen on boot up where it says Auto-detecting rd Master OR AND Auto-detecting rd Slave Now my guess is something somehow got changed here and my hard drive CD drive should be booting on a primary instead of a rd but honestly I m not Serious issue on bootup (hard drive related... I think) too sure and even if this was the problem I don t know how to change those things If any of you can give me some assistance it would be greatly appreciated as these - minutes boot times are killing me nbsp

A:Serious issue on bootup (hard drive related... I think)

Did you finish the updating process, and the 15-20 boot time is for regular start of Windows, or are you still stuck in the update cycle?

I haven't played around with XP in a long time, but on my Vista PC when I was doing a clean install, a few of the updates would not get installed via the Windows Update process, and the computer got stuck on a long load/reboot loop similar to what you are describing. Eventually I isolated which updates were causing the problem, and then manually installed them via the MS website and the problem was fixed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/serious-issue-on-bootup-hard-drive-related-i-think.158144/
Relevancy 93.31%

I am building a new computer from scratch It is has an Intel Motherboard Ghz Pentium Processor IDE Ports for the floppy drive I have External - quot slots External - quot slots and internal - quot slots for hard drives Here are my problems I had a Compaq Presario with a - quot gig Hard Drive That motherboard went bad / Light Hard Drive Drive Hard Problems so I decided to build my own computer from scratch and everything was going fine until now I took the - quot hard drive out and put it into my new case It had Windows on it and so I upgraded to Windows XP Professional That solved many of my problems but I am still stuck with the following problems My Hard Drive Light on my Case which is suppose to light up when my hard drive is active doesn t work I can see a little green light on my hard drive itself light up but not on the front of the case where it is suppose to I decided that the Gig hard drive from my old system is a little too slow so I bought a Gig rpm Western Digital Caviar Drive It is a - quot drive which I put into one of those internal drive bays When I boot up I go to CMOS by pressing F and then I go and see that the computer is recognizing it and it is My problem is when I go to Windows and to quot My Computer quot it isn t there I am sure it is something small that I am overlooking but I am new to this I bought the hard drive as an OEM and it came with nothing I am wondering what I need to do to get this hard drive active and then transfer all Hard Drive Light / Hard Drive Problems my data from my old hard drive over to the new one I want to keep my old hard drive as a secondary back-up drive Hard Drive Light / Hard Drive Problems but I want my system to boot up load the operating system and load all programs from my new hard drive Please help I want the following and I need to know the best way to accomplish it a DVD Rom Drive b CD-RW Drive c Regular High-Speed CD-Rom Drive d Old - quot Internal IDE Hard Drive e - quot floppy drive f Internal - quot Iomega mg Zip Drive g Internal Gig Hard Drive - quot The problem is that my computer comes with IDE Ports on the motherboard and one for the - quot floppy Each IDE cable has slots One for Master and one for Slave I need IDE Ports for a single cable or for double cables Which do you prefer and how do I obtain additional IDE Ports I don t want to purchase any SCSI right now so I am trying to stick with the IDE How do you recommend placing these devices on the IDE controllers and in what order Should I have the hard drives on the same IDE Cable with one as master and one as slave I know this is a lot of questions but I am in a bind and need some help Thanks a MILLION nbsp

A:Hard Drive Light / Hard Drive Problems

Hi sdh31873

Do not put both hard drives on the same string as the controller will default to the lowest speed hard drive. In fact I would think about getting rid of the old drive entirely as its age means that it should be very slow.

Have you tried turning the led HD connector to the motherboard over?

You can get an Promise PCI controller card that will allow you to add some extra IDE ports. The controller will show the devices on it to be D0, D1, D2 etc. It looks like a SCSI device to the system but hooks up IDE devices.

You need to FDISK and format a new hard drive before windows can see it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-light-hard-drive-problems.66084/
Relevancy 93.31%

Hello everyone This is my first Windows hard on is installing a new drive; 7 old drive RAID hard post with a question I searched the forums and didn't see anything quite like it I have a Velocity Micro computer with a RAID hard drive in case this matters on which Windows Professional is the OS I've forgotten the RAID number designation but it's the one in which there is no data redundancy Both of the two physical disks TB each must be in place to form one usable drive which has a TB capacity At least that's my understanding Again this may not matter to my question but I wanted to mention it because I'm concerned it could The computer also has GB of RAM and a -core Intel processor for what that information is worth A installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive; old hard drive is RAID year or installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive; old hard drive is RAID so ago after using the computer for at least a year software that had worked fine slowly began to fail one by one I'm not sure of the order but they include -Windows Update wouldn't download anything or even notify me of updates anymore -WinTV stopped working I could no longer record TV shows -the Windows program that monitors whether I have security software running or installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive; old hard drive is RAID need backups or updates vanished from my tray -BOINC kept giving me a message about zero status but no finished file or something like that -BOINC wouldn't install -Weather Watcher could no longer be double-clicked to open -couldn't boot in one operation I had to get to a point in the process I've forgotten the details and then shutdown and start again -the Start Windows menu became shorter than it used to be though I'm not sure what went missing -and there were other things I had routinely run scans with Malwarebytes Anti-malware and with Panda Cloud Antivirus before all this happened Until it stopped working I religiously updated Windows I did periodic defragmenting and occasional scans for disk errors In short I think I did a pretty good job maintaining the computer The one thing sadly that got neglected was the thing that could save me most right now a complete backup or disk image I meant to but it didn't get done But I had several power failures in my house I could only guess but probably at least half a dozen in that first year of owning the computer And once I woke up to the smell of smoke and although it wasn't thick enough to be visible I traced the smell to my computer's power supply I'm not sure either of these points are relevant either After cleaning dust from the power supply this never happened again but now I have a battery backup UPS to prevent further sudden shutdowns which I fear may have caused file corruption -- that's possible right About last December things got suddenly worse My first indication of a more serious problem may have been a MBAM scan which reported as I recall a couple hundred problems where it would normally be unusual for such a scan to find a single problem But I was very skeptical of this and thinking MBAM itself may have become hosed tried at least one and probably two or three alternate malware scanners If memory serves they included Emsisoft and probably Panda Cloud AV and neither turned up anything Right or wrong I attributed the MBAM result to just another casualty of what I had begun to suspect were numerous corrupted files Then one day shortly after the MBAM thing the computer started getting lots of blue screens and shortly after that it got a blue screen during every boot I am no longer able to see my desktop For nearly a year I've resorted to my old laptop and an even older desktop computer to get online and do other things I can provide the blue screen image taken with my camera and any more detail that is requested but in the interest of keeping this down to a small novel I just want to say I've tried numerous things in the months or so since that blue screen issue started They've included System ... Read more

A:installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive; old hard drive is RAID

All your symptoms point towards malware in your old Wodniws OS.

There is no reason that you could not use your RAID array as your storage and boot off another drive, seems perfectly logical as there is no need for RAID with a Win OS as Winsxs.sys already exists within. Yes you change the boot order in the BIOS, set the cd drive first, then point the installation at the new disk which will default to C:\ No need to remove the RAID array, which will appear as additional storage. You may need to install drivers to get this to function correctly.

You could of course back up your data to another drive and re-install you rOS on your original disks...

Up to you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515665/installing-windows-7-on-a-new-hard-drive;-old-hard-drive-is-raid/
Relevancy 93.31%

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to clone a SATA hard drive with Windows XP to a USB hard drive, and rather or not if Windows XP would work well on the USB hard drive after it was cloned from the SATA hard drive. The USB hard drive would be the only hard drive used after the SATA hard drive with Windows XP was cloned to the USB hard drive.

Relevancy 93.31%

I have done this both ways but never really did any testing as to which way is best. Here is the question.
Is it better to have one larger hard drive with a partition for OS and apps or have 2 hard drives one smaller one for OS and apps and one larger for everything else?
At present have 2+ hard drives in all systems ( mostly used scavenged from old systems).
Just looking for opinions. Cost is not a factor.
Thanks for any opinions.
GrandPops

A:Hard drive options

I prefer the 2 drives option. With your data on the 2nd drive. So that if one goes down, u have at least some of your stuff!

However with RAID being standard on most motherboards now >1 drive with RAID is becoming the norm for performance and or safety.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-options.359099/
Relevancy 92.88%

in all fairness i have requested help with this problem at other sites as well if i find a solution i promise to post it on all sites i just bought a brand new western digital WD AAKB caviar blue gb IDE PATA hard drive from tiger direct i have had success cloning smaller hard drives to gb hard drives with easeus disk copy so i thought i would try to clone from my original HDD to this gb i was able to clone the gb HDD s right out of the package hard 500gb screen New drive bootup recognized not at without any preparation i thought i would be able to do New 500gb hard drive not recognized at bootup screen this with this gb as well however the results i get are strange after making the master slave connection and powering up the gb never gets recognized in the bootup screen or else the bootup screen stalls at the part where it detects the hard drives i must admit that i am not really certain how to have the jumpers set on this gb the master drive is no problem because i have pulled off this procedure before cloning gb to gb i have had the jumpers on the gb set at both cable select and slave the HDD is brand new so i could get my back but i think i am making a mistake of some kind i am very much a newbie at this and i have just gotten lucky a few times with this quot hobby quot just trying to keep a backup of some cheap computer s data in case any expert help would be most appreciated nbsp

A:New 500gb hard drive not recognized at bootup screen

i solved the problem. i swapped ribbon cables and the hard drive was detected. it showed up in disk management, and disk copy made a clone without a hitch.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-500gb-hard-drive-not-recognized-at-bootup-screen.129457/
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi folks I was working on my pc the other day when it kind of locked up on SATA hard 1 drive failure on disk bootup me No combo of key strokes could resolve it so I was forced to do a hard reboot by pressing and holding the power button until it shut off When I hit power to bring it back up I saw the Dell splash screen with the options for F setup and F boot menu then I heard clicks a short pause then more clicks Shortly after I get the message SATA Primary hard disk drive failure Strike the F key SATA hard disk drive 1 failure on bootup to continue F to run the setup utility I press F and got a message saying that it could not find the boot sector I tried hooking this drive up as a slave with a known good hard drive as the master but I hear the same clicking and it doesn SATA hard disk drive 1 failure on bootup t work The drive is a Western Digital WD JS I went to their website and downloaded a diagnostic ISO file and put it onto CD and loaded it into the drive and booted up After a few minutes of no data on the screen it came up with this message quot Unable to locate the License Agreement file DLGLICE txt Please make sure that the License Agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG EXE quot I put the disk into another computer and checked the contents of the disk There are only files DLGDIAG EXE DLGDIAG txt DLGLICE txt IBMBIO COM IBMDOS COM The first file is not a typo there is a at the end of the filename Maybe if I corrected this first before burning to disk but how to do this and still have it be a bootable CD The computer is a Dell Optiplex GX running Windows XP Pro SP Is it possible to still get data off of this disk prior to doing any kind of reload or formatting Thanks for all responses Sucosam

A:SATA hard disk drive 1 failure on bootup

Download a Linux ISO (Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix are all OK) and
create a live CD to boot with and transfer your files to an external source.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/294192/sata-hard-disk-drive-1-failure-on-bootup/
Relevancy 92.88%

I have a 40gb hd that loads windows and I just recently installed a 160gb sata hd just for storage. Now when the computer starts up it takes forever to load the 40gb hd that has windows. My question is what is causing this to happen? I even edited the boot.ini file so that it only sees 40gb hd that has windows on it. If anyone has an answer please let me know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-bootup-after-installing-sata-hard-drive.431421/
Relevancy 92.88%

I've recently added a new, additional SATA hard drive in my trusty old XP SP3 machine and discovered on power-up the BIOS setting for hard drive priority for boot had changed.

Bootup failed since it couldn't find a system on the new backup hard drive, which I added just for archiving purposes.

Is this normal behavior? I think I've added drives before and didn't have to enter BIOS Setup immediately to reset the boot sequence.

A:Hard Drive install vs. BIOS bootup settings

That may have been the original sequence.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-install-vs-bios-bootup-settings.887960/
Relevancy 92.45%

I have a HP Pavilion ze4908us model. The hard disc drive crapped out for the last time and I have to replace it. Sadly, I'm not well educated on hard drive specs.

What do I need to know in order to buy a new one? I looked for drives that claimed to support "ze4900 notebooks" but meanwhile I know nothing of the technicalities. So I'm actually clueless.

The hard drive says "replace with 37177-0017F0494. As though that would help me.

It also reads "Toshiba 04125H".

Relevancy 92.45%

As you can see I have 250GB of free space, but it fails when I try to extend the Storage1 B drive.

I also have tried creating a new partition with the unallocated space and I get the same response.

Also I'm having an issue deleting the partition right next to it, this is the error I get.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395776-extending-hard-drive-failed-not-enough-space-required.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi Guys

I'm pretty sure the hard drive has failed on my laptop (windows loading screen just hangs).

Would this hard drive be compatible?
http://www.drivemylaptop.co.uk/LaptopDriveDetails.aspx?p=1949

Thanks as always
x

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compatible-hard-drive-required-toshiba-equium-l40-17m.952737/
Relevancy 92.45%

I have a Maxtor D X- L gb drive but there are no details marked on the drive casing for me to enter into the BIOS The BIOS shows most items as AUTO and everything works details Solved: required Maxtor hard drive OK but I need to enter the drive details into the BIOS because when I use Acronis TI I cannot make a Solved: Maxtor hard drive details required drive restore when using the TI startup disk as it says it cannot find any hard drives When I exit TI the PC starts normally I figured that if I fed the drive details into the BIOS instead of AUTO it might enable TI to see the hard drive at TI startup I have Googled the drive but I cannot find the relevant details as required by the BIOS namely - cylinders head sector CHS capacity Maximum LBA capacity although I think the last two might be automatic currently shown as mb Usually this kind of information is marked on the drive itself but not in this case Can anybody advise please johnni nbsp

Relevancy 92.02%

Hi, I need to replace the hard drive (ST31000528AS) on my HP Pavilion p6580t CTO.  I am trying to find what drives are compatible.  Will ST1000DM003 (promoted as a newer version of the ST31000528AS) work?  How about the Kingston SSDNow UV400 SSD (it is smaller, but I do not need so much storage)?

A:Hard drive replacement options

The ST1000DM003 is an excellent replacment. You must replace the old drive with the SAME capacity or larger. Otherwise it will fail to acknowledge the new drive. The ST1000DM003 is a SataIII (6Gb/sec drive, but the 64MB cache file will speed up your system slightly.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-drive-replacement-options/td-p/5658875
Relevancy 92.02%

OK, a little off topic, but my son has an XBOX360 and want to get an external hard drive so he can do more with it. I don't believe there is any secret here...can I just get any USB connected EHD or do I need something special?

A:External Hard Drive Options

The Xbox 360 is compatible with most usb external hard drives but only allows you to use a maximum of 16 gigabytes regardless of the size of the hard drive. Somone correct me if i am wrong. A 16gb thumb drive then would be the way to go.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-options.1080405/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi there,

Good to be back in the realm of Techspot..

I've run into a situation with a Macbook Pro HD.

The drive had shown signs of failing and finally I got the "Pinwheel of Death".

I booted to an OSX disk and repaired it, and was able to log in okay once or twice.

The computer continued to freeze and I had no luck backing up the 15,000 images for my client.

I pulled the drive and plugged it in to another Mac with a SATA to USB adapter. The drive shows up in disk utility, I can copy a few small files over, but it quickly fails within 1 minutes of it spinning up.

So, what is there to be done with a 'failing' hard drive? Any software/tricks to stabilize it long enough to get the files that I need? (Spending $500 for mechanical repairs is currently not an option?)

Thank You for insight.

A:'Failing' hard drive -- what are my options?

Don't think you have many options unfortunately. There is a decent possibility as it heats up it fails, so if it is really dry where you live you may be able to find a way to put an ice pack on the drive to keep it cool. I'd get the drive cooled down with an ice pack or a fridge/freezer and then hook it up and keep an ice pack on it while copying the files over.

I would avoid doing this if there is enough humidity that you will run into a condensation issue. Currently there is 32% RH in my room and fighting static is much more of a problem than condensation on a beverage. So good luck, and hopefully it is dry there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failing-hard-drive-what-are-my-options.190067/
Relevancy 92.02%

I have a 3 TB drive that I've been having trouble with (volumes dismount randomly and don't show up until restart). I recently replaced it and I decided to clean the drive in diskpart to see if I could get it working correctly; after cleaning it windows now sees only 746 GB (no ~2000 GB leftovers), this is not surprising for a 3 TB drive so I set it to GPT, but the other space still doesn't show up at all.

I'm guessing the other sectors are just dead, but its out of warranty and I hate to just throw away a 3 TB drive. I've tried the clean all command in diskpart as well as disconnecting and reconnecting the power. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair this drive? Or is it just garbage now?

A:Hard drive repair options

Could you please post a screenshot of disk management? Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/323609-hard-drive-repair-options.html
Relevancy 92.02%

About a year ago couple bought an HP Midi Tower PC from a well known available hard Options fails when drive store really cheap because it had been a display machine and it has Windows installed The computer recently started malfunctioning and so they asked us to take a look First thing we noticed was that there was no PID label on the side but have since learned that is no longer used for Win machines They have no disk s either just the machine but there is a recovery partition on the HDD from which I was able to 'refresh' the system Options available when hard drive fails before giving it back This was a temp solution Options available when hard drive fails aimed at them getting their personal stuff off because the hard drive is failing and indeed the machine stopped working again just a few days after we returned it My question is after putting a new drive in given that the machine already has the PID hash in the BIOS is there a way I can get the system back on without them having to buy another copy of Windows OR could they legally put a copy of a different version of Windows on the machine instead which is the preferred option and get that accepted given that the original for Windows is still in the BIOS ie could they override the original PID with one for the new OS Please advise

A:Options available when hard drive fails

If you have an installation media (CD/USB) with the same version as the OEM from HP then you can do a fresh install and Windows will automatically activated with the built in PID.

If you are currently running Windows 8 and say you install Windows 8 Pro then you have to buy a new Key for the Pro version.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/56212-options-available-when-hard-drive-fails.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello everyone

I'm helping my girlfriend out with her new laptop. What she wants to be able to do is to have an external hard drive that she can back up her work/data to.

That's simple enough, but is there a convenient way to do it? As in, simply plug in the drive whenever she feels and then have it automatically create a copy of a specific folder onto the external drive?

She has a WD 80GB 2.5" hard drive (I can look up the model number later if that's necessary).

Thanks

A:Hard drive backup options

There's plenty, I can't say I've used any, but browse around the downloads section or do some google searches.
What you're looking for would likely be classified as a file syncing program. First one on the techspot download's list is GoodSync 8.3.5.7.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-backup-options.155072/
Relevancy 92.02%

my hard drive i think gave out the thing is that i get nothing when i try to boot it up no bios screen nothing i dont even get any beeps one time a got about or beeps before i on noise with hard drive weird bootup nothin absolutely just unplugged it in hindsight i should have let it run its course but i thought it was going to weird hard drive noise with absolutely nothin on bootup be continuous ive tried unpluggin everything i thought it might be a weird hard drive noise with absolutely nothin on bootup power thing so i unplugged my fans and my dvd drive but no i tried weird hard drive noise with absolutely nothin on bootup bootin up with just my storage hard drive western gig but again i get nothing i removed the batter from my motherboard in hopes of reseting it but no the more i think abotu it the more i think it might be a cpu thing its a amd and about or weeks ago i had put i on aggressive setting on my gigabyte motherboard but i dont see what kind of damage that would do i have mb ram sticks - runnig on xp also have a ati all in wonder again absolutely no response from the comp at all before it gave out it woudl boot up to only freeze or restart without notice i had trouble sometimes getting it to start having to unplug it and try again a few times before it would boot up much like an old car that hard drive is years old i dont care for the drive i care about the data on it i mean its like a drive now any ideas or suggestions will be welcome and thanks in advance i tried looking thru some old forum questions and someone advice putting it in a freezer overnight im considering do it in a ziplock wrapped in a towel maybe throw in the cpu as well thanks in advance nbsp

A:weird hard drive noise with absolutely nothin on bootup

reposted this under mobo and cpu since the more i think about it the more it looks like its one of those guys that failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/weird-hard-drive-noise-with-absolutely-nothin-on-bootup.56684/
Relevancy 92.02%

Crashed with bluescreen saying "Smart Hard Drive " with imminent failure expected.  Cannot boot or enter BIOS or Setup regardless of hitting ESC, F11, F10, F8, etc.  No Recovery Disks vailable.  Cannot do drive diagnostics.  Identifies Hard Drive 1 (301) faulted (Touchscreen All-In-One has 1TB Hybrid Drive with bootup from SSD (not sure).  Won't get past initial Bluescreen warning.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/quot-Smart-Hard-Drive-Error-quot-no-bootup-no-Recovery-Disks/td-p/5777976
Relevancy 92.02%

I have a Dell D600 laptop that the hard drive makes noise as it tried to boot up. It then stops running (it seems) and I get the error message"Primary hard disk drive 0 not found". I don't have a boot disk for this XP system, but does this mean the drive is bad?

A:Hard drive makes loud bumping noise at bootup

Almost certainly the HDD has failed mechanically / physically.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-makes-loud-bumping-noise-at-bootup.833328/
Relevancy 91.59%

My primary HDD was failing so I backed it up and replaced it with a larger 1TB drive.  After reinstalling everything the new drive is displaying the same size as my old drive and the extra space available is unallocated.  I can allocate it as
a separate drive but I find that annoying and would prefer to just have my primary C: drive show up with all of the available space.  I formatted the extra space and made it available separately as drive G hoping that I could EXPAND drive C but that option
is not highlighted as selectable on drive C for some reason.  Should I just live with this extra space or is there a way to easily combine C and the new G space?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5d2dcad7-8be2-43d0-ab11-051f2d407984/replace-with-larger-primary-hard-drive-in-laptop-now-showing-old-drive-size-windows-7-650gb-to?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 91.59%

HelloHard drive crashed, installed replacement. Trying to verify HDD in BIOS, and am stuck at the Administrator Password screen. Device: HP Pavilion Entertainment PC Laptop dv6OS: Eventually Win 7 again Error code: 54820996 Thanks for any help!

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Administrator BIOS password required after hard drive crash/...

@hp-laptop-noob? Enter   41788318 Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Administrator-BIOS-password-required-after-hard-drive-crash/td-p/5679396
Relevancy 91.59%

Dear Forum,

I am just about to do a reboot and clean install.

I have had a procedure done yesterday and have not had much time to notice much.

What I have noticed is that ever since I changed the properties of the external USB Hard Disk Drives whilst the other computer was turned off - I have lost some data or something has happened.

I am sorry if it may be nothing. I am just stressing.

If someone could possibly talk me through what may have happened. It has crashed since and I am at a loss what to do.

I guess without anyone knowing what documents I have been working on - I have not been able to search much and dropped some data onto my large USB Hard Disk Drive.

Thank you

A:General Assistance Required - Lost volume on Hard Drive

I don't see any details about an actual problem or what we're supposed to be looking for. Help us help you by explaining the problem and we'll start from there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/277475-general-assistance-required-lost-volume-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Okay so two weeks ago someone put their foot through my Acer laptop screen Rather than had it fixed I decided to remove the inch hard drive and transplant it into my HP Pavilion Desktop The Acer was running Windows and the desktop Windows Vista I bought a inch to inch hard drive bay converter removed the inch HD years old with Vista and replaced it with the inch HD months old with Win bit All the drivers were updated and I had a sparkling new desktop running Windows The laptop carcass was then disposed of All well until I found a date ticker saying that I after to required moving Activation drive from desktop laptop hard needed to activate the O S There was a product code already in the form so I hit the Activate button The reply came back that it was not valid I certainly did not change it from Activation required after moving hard drive from laptop to desktop when it was in the laptop What can I do I obviously do not want to pay for a new O S since I had bought the Acer laptop with Win and it is still only on one computer What are my options Can anyone assist Many thanks Hal

A:Activation required after moving hard drive from laptop to desktop

The reason its unactivated is that the late Acer laptop had a factory win7 activated via Acer oem activation- this type of activation is a brew of several components one of them being an oem marker in the bios. When you moved the hard disk to the HP, the bios marker and some other components went missing.

Theres no option other than buying a new license. The Acer license was tied to that computer, its not transferrable. However, since you already have vista, you can buy an Upgrade win7 license which is considerably cheaper than the full retail license. FYI, you can also do a clean install of windows using the upgrade disk.

BTW, that product code is not the product key, hence the error.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/190341-activation-required-after-moving-hard-drive-laptop-desktop.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I plan to get an external hard drive (TOSHIBA PX1223EE-1G32, 320GB ).

What I want to do is to use Acronis True Image 9 to clone both my desktop and my laptop to the external drive, and then to do regular backups of the data on the desktop and the laptop, also on the external drive.

The external drive will be plenty big enough, but is it possible to have all this data living together happily and useably, in case of need?

Peter
UK

Relevancy 91.59%

Hi

I have been having this problem for about a year now, I usually turn my external HD off (built my own with a WD hard drive and antec external case)

It will not show up after turning it on unless i reboot windows, I have gone into device manager and searched for new hardware but rarely that ever works.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks!

Relevancy 91.16%

I have a Dell XPS 15 9550 with the 32 GB M.2 PCIe for caching and a 1 TB HDD with my OS on it configuration and I'm looking to upgrade to faster SSD speeds. 

Am I better off just changing the HDD to a SSD or can I get even better speeds keeping the 1 TB HDD for storage and swapping the 32 GB M.2 PCIe (currently used for caching) to a bigger M.2 PCIe and putting my OS on that?

I was thinking of using a Samsung EVO 850 Pro if I swapped the 1TB HHD or a Samsung 950 pro if I swapped 32 GB M.2 PCIe.

I take it I would also need to alter the BIOS setting from RAID to ACHI when upgrading if I'm not mistaken. 

Any advice is welcome.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19987373
Relevancy 91.16%

One options - (or drive with help not) recovery Dead hard please of our kids' laptops stopped booting a couple of days ago I have confirmed there is nothing Dead hard drive (or not) - help with recovery options please wrong with the laptop itself it's a hard drive issue To narrow this down I have Placed the offending hard drive in an external drive enclosure attached to another computer The other computer can access the entire drive with no issues Attempted to use the rescue disc to repair the windows installation The rescue operation indicated there Dead hard drive (or not) - help with recovery options please was something wrong with the startup settings but couldn't write the changes Again with the rescue disc ran the startup repair sequence I should mention that the Windows installation could not be detected automatically by the rescue disc Anyway the diagnostic amp repair details for the quot Disk Failure diagnostics quot indicate a Bad Hard Disk While in the recovery console I opened up Dead hard drive (or not) - help with recovery options please a command prompt and went to D which is the offending disk path I'm able to run a directory listing on and navigate around within the drive that is supposed to be quot bad quot With these outcomes I'm completely confused by the fact that the drive appears to be able to be accessed yet no OS installation is able to be found by the recovery routine I've checked the recycle bin to see if someone accidentally erased critical files but the recycle bin is empty What do you find folks think is going on with this situation TIA

A:Dead hard drive (or not) - help with recovery options please

Sounds like the file system contains corruption or you have bad sectors on the drive. Recommend navigating to the drive again in command prompt. Type the following.chkdsk /r D:Run the disk check multiple times if it says it fixed any file system errors. Run it until it says it found no problems with the disk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/209816-dead-hard-drive-not-help-recovery-options-please.html
Relevancy 91.16%

My HP desktop has two Gb harddrives which are RAID and capable There is a program called Intel Matrix Storage Console on the computer When I bought the computer I did not set up the RAID feature Now my C drive is nearly full while my D drive is empty filling drive: Options hard Rapidly The Intel program has a feature that says it creates a RAID on an existing drive As I understand that it would extend the files filling the C drive across both C and D without destroying my OS or files on C It seems another option would be to move the Vista s USER folder which contains all of my docs pics music and so on and is over Gb by itself to the D drive I don t know how to get Vista to look to the D drive rather than C for that folder however Which options Rapidly filling hard drive: Options is best RAID Rapidly filling hard drive: Options seems to be but I ve never Rapidly filling hard drive: Options used a RAID before and that is why I am asking I did read throught the sticky thread on setting up a RAID but none of those posts apply to this Intel program Thanks for any advise nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/rapidly-filling-hard-drive-options.636899/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello everyone It's sad to say but my laptop is now over years options hard storage External drive, etc??? old and i'm really afraid for its health External hard drive, storage options etc??? conditions I feel like it could die out anytime soon now so I'm looking for storage methods to save all the very very important data I have accumulated I just need someplace to External hard drive, storage options etc??? put my stuff on and open it every months or so when i need it so i won't be using it frequently I've looked into purchasing external hard drives but reviews scare me External hard drive, storage options etc??? a lot saying how they only last a few months etc is this true I just need like a larger capacity USB stick that you can stuff under your bed and dust it a year later and it would still work Is there any brand that is super durable Other than that do you know of any other offline storage options I have tried a few cloud storage sites online but I'm not very reassured not having a quot physical quot copy of it

A:External hard drive, storage options etc???

External HDD would be fine. Store it in a fireproof safe that doens't get banged around. Or discs - but those have to be kept in the right environment so data rot doesn't happen. Large capacity flash drives would be alright as well, but data rot still occurs on those over prolonged periods of time (all flash storage suffers from this).

Ideally, go with both offline and online storage. That way you have a physical / local copy if something happens to the cloud storage (or if you need to transfer a lot of data quickly). And if something happens to your physical storage, then you'll have an online backup.

Best route for offline external HDD would be to buy an HDD from a reputable brand, and then buy a separate HDD enclosure that's also a good brand. That way you have warranty separate on both components and it seems like pre-made external HDD's don't last quite as long (IMO).

http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/external-hard-drive-storage-options-etc-276144/
Relevancy 91.16%

I recently posted that my external hard drive was not working as windows wanted to format it. I pulled it up and now it lights up but windows says it cant start in device manager so i put another hard drive form my old PC in it but it the same scenario.

Is there any last options on this please i really need some help.

I also tried to put it in my external dvd enclosure but it wont work please help me... Thanks .

A:Any last options for broken external hard drive?

As you have tried another hard drive in the external enclosure and it still would not work this suggests that the circuitry in the enclosure is faulty. All I can suggest is that you take the hard drive out of its case and hook it up to a desktop PC using the internal connections and set the jumper to slave if it is IDE. That might give you access to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-last-options-for-broken-external-hard-drive.161838/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello all,   I have a new ThinkPad E560 arriving in a couple days and had a question regarding the hard drive.  The drive the notebook will be coming with is a 500GB 7200rpm platter drive.  Near as I can tell from my research, this drive will be 7mm thick. I have several spare 9.5mm hybrid drives of larger capacity and would like to use one of these instead.  Does anyone know if the E560 had enough room to fit the thicker 9.5mm drive? Thank you in advance for any help with this, mbccr

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/ThinkPad-E560-Hard-Drive-Options/td-p/3434842
Relevancy 90.73%

I m amateur pc user Been trying fix problems all week Changed power box due to over heating used AVG amp Superantispyware Keeps asking to reboot and choose boot device and several hints of mysterious behavior inside machine Feels like something is eating it restore&recycle hard 2nd bin&2nd problem,system hard drive vanished, drive Unknown paranoid spirituality Anyone know what s going on Please be gentle with me Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare AWC exeC Program Files x ASUS AASP aaCenter exeC Program Files x SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files x Kontiki KHost exeC Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare Sup SmartRAM exeC Program Files x DT Utilities DT Utilities PC Backup Pro mgCtrl exeC Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC Program Files x AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaTray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaServer exeC Windows Integrator exeC Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www facebook com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - Hosts localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO ContributeBHO Class - C DC - - A A- D-C C - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO AskBar BHO - f d - - d - c -aa e ed - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - BHO QFX Software KeyScrambler - B F - A - - E -C B BC E - C Program Files x KeyScrambler KeyScramblerIE dllO - BHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files x Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO Google Gears Helper - E FEFE -FBF - AE-BA - CA E FB - C Program Files x Google Google Gears Internet Explorer gears dllO - BHO SmartSelect - F EE -DAA - - - D EE A - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar Contribute Toolbar - BDDE -E A - -B E- B B FC - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - Toolbar Ask Toolbar - d e-fd b- e -b - d b f - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - CCC A -B CA- -B A - F ... Read more

A:Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313758/unknown-problemsystem-restorerecycle-bin2nd-hard-drive-vanished-2nd-hard-drive/
Relevancy 90.3%

i have just reinstalled vista premium on my computer and now i have the safely remove hardware icon in my notification area for my 2 HDD, 2 DVD drives and my 5 in 1 card reader. i don't what this option as I'm worried that ill select my OS disc instead of my ipod when removing it. does anyone know how to do this?
also does anyone know how to rename my second HDD from K: to another letter. it used to be j: before reinstalling vista now i have to explore the k:. if i double click it use to asks 2 insert a disc into the j:. if you view the attachments you will see the right click options that are not normally associated with hard drives.
thanks for you help

Relevancy 90.3%

I have a SATA TB Seagate Barracuda that has been acting wonky for a while now I have been meaning to back up the data on it which is gb of music and videos but never got around to it I think now I may have waited too late The drive was bought brand new roughly months ago and has never been dropped or physically damaged I take very good care of my hardware Regular cleanings maintenance no damage etc Anyway the drive started acting weird a while ago and was sometimes not coming up as a drive but more often than not the performance was terrible I had to check cables a few times and tightened them in and everything would be ok for a bit but the performance issues would start up again I mean terrible performance Sometimes it would take me secs or more to access the drive after double clicking it After that initial start up the drive would run fine for a while It seemed like almost when the drive went to sleep it had an issue waking up or starting up Well it finally stopped reading It won't show up now no matter what I do I swapped cables SATA ports etc I tested it with my gb Seagate Barracuda That one works fine and when I swap in the TB nothing I Disk SATA (Options?) Hard Drive Not Reading think the drive may be finished But as I said there is no physical damage done to it and also it powers up I can hear the disks spinning when I connect it Windows is just not reading it When I go into my SATA Hard Drive Not Reading Disk (Options?) Intel Rapid Storage it comes up as a SATA device gb so something is being read but I can't see the drive What are my options here I really just want the data off of it because it took me such a long time to collect Would I be able to take it somewhere and they can get the data off onto a new disk Is there something I can do myself I don't see why not The drive seems in perfect condition I don't know why it started acting up to begin with but I just hope it isn't too late to reclaim my data Anyone

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/386789-sata-hard-drive-not-reading-disk-options.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Some files in my external drive has a lock symbol near them, some don't.
Why is this happening?

I am using Microsoft Sync and recently I had to use "Run as Administrator" for it because some files were "access denied".
(I am using the drive in different operating systems in different partitions).

Should I run Sync in administrator mode, or regular?
How should I arrange the security for the drive?
Should I add users or everyone?
(now it is creator owner, system, administrators and me -I am administrator and only user-).

I got confused because before I didn't need to use the administrator mode for syncing and I don't want it to cause problems when syncing, not to miss any files.

I am looking for some advice.

(When I try to give myself -username-pc/username- full control, after that it still returns to not full control, no permissions for the drive are inherited )

Thanks.

A:How to Arrange External Hard Drive Security Options?

Try right clicking on the padlocked folder --> Share with... --> Homegroup (read/write).

That's what removed the padlock icon from all my folders, and full sharing without access problems..

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/148990-how-arrange-external-hard-drive-security-options.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Brand new Aspire ATC-780 AMZi5 has a noisy (grinding) hard drive.Looking inside the case, the 2TB Hard Drive is mounted vertically (on its side). Do you think the vertical mount of the drive is inducing the noise? Does anyone have experience remounting a Hard Drive horizontally (large surface parallel to the ground)? I am concerned about eventual failure. A SSD will be installed soon and the OS moved onto it. However, I still want a large amount of storage in a secondary drive. All suggestions welcomed

A:TC-780 Noisy 2 TB Hard Drive; remount options soug...

if an HDD is noisy, it will always be, despite the mounting side. have an HDD tune (not PRO) application check about HDD health status.http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/TC-780-Noisy-2-TB-Hard-Drive-remount-options-sought/td-p/463528
Relevancy 90.3%

computer powers on gets no errors but only a black screen with no cursor.
I can go to computer setup and see drive what can I do to repair?
I booted with an old active bootdisk and went to command prompt and could see all data on drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596606/windows-10-hard-drive-problems/
Relevancy 90.3%

Recently I was on my computer playing a game, my computer froze completely so I restarted. When I tried to reboot Windows XP it just sat at the loading screen. I stuck in my XP CD and booted up from it, tried to repair my Windows, but then it tells me that "it cannot detect any hard disk drive." I then go and download the SATA drivers, put them on a floppy and try installing them using the F6 in windows setup, but after I did this it still says "unable to detect hard disk drive." Any help with this is appreciated.

A:Windows XP/Hard Drive Problems

Rebster40 said:

Recently I was on my computer playing a game, my computer froze completely so I restarted. When I tried to reboot Windows XP it just sat at the loading screen. I stuck in my XP CD and booted up from it, tried to repair my Windows, but then it tells me that "it cannot detect any hard disk drive." I then go and download the SATA drivers, put them on a floppy and try installing them using the F6 in windows setup, but after I did this it still says "unable to detect hard disk drive." Any help with this is appreciated.Click to expand...

I now have also tried booting up in safe mode, switching out hard drives and still nothing, anyone have any ideas because i am running out of them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-hard-drive-problems.714557/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 89.87%

I have two laptops, a ThinkPad T30 and a Latitude C840 (they are both working with XP SP2, except the T30 doesn't have a screen). I'd like to move the T30's drive into the C840, but when I do this, the C840 will hang right after the BIOS screen (incl. the XP CD's Press a key to boot off the CD if I tell it to boot from the disc drive first).

My first thought was to try Recovery Console from the XP CD. I can log into the install, and I've already tried fixmbring and fixbooting it. This doesn't help.

This leaves the option of the drivers not being right. I installed the C840 chipset drivers, nothing.

I'd really rather not go on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what'll get things up and running, so can you guys gimme a suggestion?

Thanks!
Ethan

A:Moved hard drive and cannot boot; hard drive accessable from Recovery Console

You can't simple move one drive from one machine to another because the drivers are specific to the hardware. Did you receive recovery CDs for the Latitude? If so, you could use them to "restore" it to its factory default with the new drive. This may actually be on a partition of the hard drive.
As an alternative, you could create an image of the original drive and restore it to the new one using some freeware such as DriveImage XML. To restore the image to the new drive, you'll need to boot to a bootable CD using something like UBCD4WIN and restore the image from somewhere on your network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moved-hard-drive-and-cannot-boot-hard-drive-accessable-from-recovery-console.528901/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hey guys, I was working with my grandfathers computer. The computer would not boot, it kept getting the BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume" At the top. Annoyed, I decided I was going to just back up whatever files were on it (Just his favorites, he has absolutely no documents or anything else)..by plugging his HD into my home PC as a slave and copying them to my flashdrive. Then I would reinstall XP Home on his Desktop, and use the flashdrive to put back his files...Sounds easy enough right? NO!!!!.....Problem is, his user account on the computer (Ralph), was Password Protected so now when I try to access any of his files (using Windows 7) I get a message saying Access Is Denied. How do I get around this. It is not possible to boot his old computer to take off the password. Are his files recoverable?
Thanks for any help!

A:Recovering hard drive files from unbootable, password protected hard drive?

You don't have to do all that to overcome an unmountable boot volume error...try running chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter assigned by XP and with spaces between k and X: and X: and /) and then hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251609/recovering-hard-drive-files-from-unbootable-password-protected-hard-drive/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 89.87%

Windows XP Professional Service Pack build gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache WDC WD BB- FTA Hard drive GB -- drive s n WD-WMAET rev and Multiple drive clicking, hard drive freezing errors, hard boot R SMART Status Healthy Hard drive Just a few weeks ago my hard drive started clicking and suddenly my system froze The drive wasn't dropped bumped or anything like that It was fairly new as well I was having some issues accessing my files AND I couldn't access the internet through any browsers Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing I was connected could play internet-using games but got no reply from websites I decided to reformat Well that didn't go so well Reformatting did not fix the freezing issue nor did it fix the internet issue I attempted to reformat the partition on C but it Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing simply wouldn't let me Hard drive I pulled out a newish hard drive and formatted it installed my applications and continued on my way Everything was working great until a day later when the hard drive AGAIN froze in the middle of a session and this time I couldn't even boot I was getting a boot error that mentioned not receiving a boot file name I went into the windows repair console and did a chkdsk which turned up Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing a few errors and attempted to recover them I assume I could now boot but random freezing would still take place now and then and EVERY DAY I have to access the repair console due to boot errors Almost every other attempt to boot results in freezing before startup not being able to access the boot file or a blue screen of death So I Hard drive Same things happening I must have reformatted at least times by now and I'm beginning to give strange looks at my motherboard The computer seems to DECIDE when to work and not work When it doesn't boot the hard drive makes a constant clicking noise This next part will sound bad after getting boot errors all day I walked down stairs to find some new hardware When I got back up my cat had knocked the hard drive which was disconnected and outside of the computer onto the wooden floor It's a foot drop so I was getting worried I plugged it in and tried to star what do you know Here I am Now I'm certain it's only a matter of time before it freezes again The thing is freezing usually occurs when I'm running one or more programs at a time The computer is going incredibly slow at the moment Is it a certain program that is messing up my registry or would it be a problem with my motherboard dontknow

A:Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing

Try installing another operating system onto the disk and seeing if that crashes as well. If it doesn't you probably have a bad Windows cd. I suggest trying Kubuntu, a version of Linux meant to look somewhat like Windows (You can click here to skip directly to the download page). Just remember to actually install the thing. Most Linux operating systems can be ran directly from the cd without any need to be installed onto a hard disk. There's usually a program on the desktop that will install the system for you. If it runs properly for a week or two, get a new Windows disk. If it crashes just as much as Windows did, get a new computer.

Also, how much RAM does your computer have? If it's very low (256-512 megs or less) it can sometimes cause these kinds of crashes too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-hard-drive-boot-errors-hard-drive-clicking-and-freezing-374232.html
Relevancy 89.87%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 89.87%

I have a customer s Satellite L D S laptop This was shipped to me by the customer who tried to install Windows XP Pro Vista and none would install He said he tried all installation CDs he had and finally gave up on it and shipped it to me When I got it the partition were deleted so I tried to install Win and when I do doing a custom install I format win can't clean drive find drive hard 7 can't install Solved: or on hard get an error saying the hard drive can t be formatted on disk Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install or it will give an error that no hard drives were found I reset the bios to default and no matter what I do it won t format or find the harddrive I was going to upgrade the bios but the only way I found to upgrade the Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install bios is after windows is installed There is no way to make changes to the bios for settings that would have to do with the hard drive This has a Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive When installing Win I get the normal windows quot windows is starting quot quot Select Language quot quot Select System quot quot Type of install quot quot Custom Install quot quot Delete partitions quot quot New Partitions quot quot Format quot then the error message quot Windows cannot format a partition on disk Error x quot This happens regardless what system I try to install I ve tried two different versions of XP one of Vista and Win and each time a different install CD System Specs AMD Turion TM x Mobile CPU CPU Speed GHz Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive Pioneer DVD-RW DurkD l PM Optical Disk Drive Memory System Bios Version Anyone got any ideas on this laptop so I can get a system installed I checked the bios and there is no settings for a sata drive raid drive or IDE drive so it looks like this version can t be changed Thanks for anyone who can help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-7-cant-find-hard-drive-or-cant-format-hard-drive-on-clean-install.917413/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi all I am having a bit of a Drive / Install Windows Problems Hard 8.1 problem and need some help diagnosing what the cause might be I am running the latest version of Windows The previous installation was acting a bit sluggish to say the least The computer would take forever to load if it would even load at all Many times it would get stuck on the windows logo just looping forever If I reset the PC then sometimes I could get it to load Even when it did it would take forever to boot to the desktop and programs would freeze constantly though eventually they would resume After running every type of test Anti-Virus Malware Rootkit and even a chkdsk and coming up empty I decided to just try a re-install Windows 8.1 Install / Hard Drive Problems The install seemed to load fine normally but at the disk selection screen it took a good long while to format the drive And now I am stuck at the Installing Windows gt Getting files ready for installation And it is staying stuck there Any ideas on what the problem could possibly be What would be the logical process for diagnosing here I should mention that even though I ran a chkdsk beforehand I cannot say with certainty that I read everything correctly The reason that I mention that is because my culprit would seem to be the HDD the OS HDD as it has two - a GB for OS and TB for storage That is only an educated guess though and not based on any definitive evidence Thanks in advance for any help Truly appreciate Edit After well over a half hour if not an hour the Getting files ready for install went to So it is proceeding i e not stuck but this still signifies a serious problem - does it not

A:Windows 8.1 Install / Hard Drive Problems

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/42570-windows-8-1-install-hard-drive-problems.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I am helping a friend with a Windows HP Media Center PC The hard drive went bad and I ordered a new gig hard drive Help Hard Need Format Problems. 7 Windows Drive for it Reinstalled the hard drive and at first saw my friend had a set of recovery CDs I used the first cd and it appeared that it Windows 7 Hard Drive Format Problems. Need Help did a complete reformat Then it just stopped Couldn t get it to work I believe the computer originally had Vista bit on it My friend was given the PC by his inlaws so he didn t know what upgrades had been done There also was a Windows Backup disk I ran the set up for Windows It went all the way through the installation and then restarted for the first time to run It got to the point where it was checking the video performance and wouldn t go any further I let it sit and sit After about twenty minutes I shut it down and started the process a second time This time it went through the installation fine and then blue screened Now I can t even get to the installation screen when I start the Windows Disk If I try to start the comnputer I see three instances of Windows is Windows is Windows and the third is HP Setup I ve done many Windows installations as well as have installed many hard drives I assume the best thing I can do is to Fdisk and reformat the entire hard drive and try again Can someone step me through how to do a Fdisk and format on Windows I ve done it using a Windows emrgency disk in the past but have never had to on Windows Thanks in advance for all your help

A:Windows 7 Hard Drive Format Problems. Need Help

I think there is a problem with the discs you are using as they are tied for a particular computer model only. If its a retail disc of windows, you would not have problems of formatting and reinstalling windows.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/472121/windows-7-hard-drive-format-problems-need-help/
Relevancy 89.01%

So I am trying to open folder that are in my Seagate External Hard drive and I get this message that pops up " windows cannot find 'M:\AdobeReader\DSCI5271.jpg'. "
I have tried restarting my PC and unplugging it from the usb port and trying others ports as well but keep getting the same message. How can I fix this?

Also was wondering if there is a way to remove a program that installed it's self on my PC called " ScorpionSaver " I have tried to remove it but it just keeps coming up.
Please help. Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517203/windows-7-64-bit-external-hard-drive-problems-please-help/
Relevancy 89.01%

Firstly I m not even sure this where I should hard problems, think. Windows I drive Vista post this because I ve no idea what the exact problem is I m running Windows Vista Ultimate bit which Windows Vista hard drive problems, I think. I originally installed on a SATA drive running in IDE mode and after some time of running perfectly fine now some boots are really sluggish and I can t open a single program without it freezing for chunks of minutes at a time After some research I found that running the SATA drive Windows Vista hard drive problems, I think. in AHCI mode would help alleviate this problem and it did thank god but when I run anything that requires a load of resources like a game more specifically I suffer intermittent freezing and in some cases the game or computer crashes or just never recovers from its frozen state which is needless to say frustrating So once again i did research to find that AHCI is bad for running games switched back froze during startup a few times hard reset and switched back to AHCI again for the time being I m at my wit s end and this has caused me much stress over the Windows Vista hard drive problems, I think. past few weeks So please please help me out I thank all in advance for their help and am willing to post any additional details logs etc that are needed I will also include a list of the hardware i ve installed on my computer Intel Ghz Quad Core processor Gigabyte GA-EP C-DS R motherboard Nvidia Geforce GTS MB GB Corsair DDR RAM Lite-On SATA DVD -RW Optical drive GB Western Digital SATA HDD GB Western Digital SATA HDD x GB Maxtor ATA HDD W Corsair PSU nbsp

Relevancy 89.01%

I recently got a Western Digital gig quot Caviar quot hard drive I also have a WD gig I wanted to switch the gig to the master and have gig be the slave All of my files were on the gig as well as windows XP Then after disconnecting the gig and configuring the as the only drive I installed XP on the gig Then I turned off my computer and made the gig the master and connected the gig as the slave Unfortunately now my computer can't Please Help! Challenging Xp/hard Windows Problems! Drive access the gig as well Challenging Windows Xp/hard Drive Problems! Please Help! as any files I have on it Windows XP won't quot see quot the drive under my computer but some programs will like installation disks and some diagnostic programs If I try installing windows XP onto the gig from dos even though it already has it installed it says something like quot can't access this drive quot If I try running the gig as the master it will just tell me quot error loading OS quot in dos Windows XP explorer doesn't even recognize the gig I have used Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools but it is unable to do any good without formatting which I will only do as a last resort because I don't want to lose all my files I ran an extended diagnostic and it came up with errors and repaired them but it didn't seem to fix anything same old problems I have tried using Seagate tools as well no dice Then I tried backing up the image using NORTON GHOST of the gig onto my gig hard drive so I could just clone the image on the gig It seemed to be creating the image just fine until it got to something percent it started going REALLY SLOW for some reason and I had no choice but to quit it would've been done in about a year Ghost also warned me that there were bad blocks on the gig I have also tried norton disk doctor and some other boot programs Disk doctor tells me quot Error on hard Disk -- An extended partition is invalid An extended partition has invalid parameters and is probably inaccessible Correct this situation if you are unable to accesss partitions on hard disk Do you wish to correct this problem quot YES selected Then it tells me I need to backup all the data on the disk or it will be deleted I don't want to lose the files on the gig Can anyone please help ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED even just links names of programs or whatever BTW both Dell and WD tech support are just telling my to call the other company both can't seem to help other than just saying quot duh reformatte quot Dell gigahertz Bios A I think it's the newest available Ram Windows XP on both drives

A:Challenging Windows Xp/hard Drive Problems! Please Help!

Please dont double post a topic,

Thread Continues Here: http://www.techsupportforums.com/sho...&threadid=2853

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/challenging-windows-xp-hard-drive-problems-please-help-2854.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and have a problem i was hoping you could help me with, i have a relatively old Samsung RV511S02UK laptop and I've been trying to upgrade it and have hit a problem with installation of windows 7 on my new Seagate 1Tb Laptop SSHD.
After putting the disk into the drive and booting from the windows disk,it comes up with the preparing files white bar which fills but once filled the screen goes to the Windows 7 start up screen but immediately restarts and starts the whole process over again and i have no idea why this is. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

A:Windows 7 installation problems with new hard drive

Where did you get the Win7 disk? How was it burned? What was the source of the ISO file if applicable? Obtaining good media is discussed in Step 1 of Clean Reinstall Windows 7 which are the steps you should follow to get and keep a perfect install on your Samsung. There is even a Special Note to Samsung owners at the end to study.

Is the hard drive detected in BIOS setup correctly? Try resetting the BIOS to defaults.

Then work through the rest of the steps to Troubleshoot Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/367834-windows-7-installation-problems-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi everyone There's really no short way to explain my issue and though I tried please bear with me My old laptop that I've had for about years now finally bit the dust nothing lasts forever right It was an eMachines E transfer Hard drive to 7 Windows Windows 8.1 hard drive from Data series with a -bit OS Windows I believe with Vista and x -based processor I depended very much so on this laptop while in college and it indeed was Data transfer from Windows 7 hard drive to Windows 8.1 Hard drive good to me a reliable piece of equipment up until about a year Data transfer from Windows 7 hard drive to Windows 8.1 Hard drive ago when the battery needed replacing saw that one coming though being a broke college student I just never quite got around to buying one Needless to say the battery was rendered shot and could not hold a charge by itself so as a Data transfer from Windows 7 hard drive to Windows 8.1 Hard drive result the only way I could use my laptop was if it was on its charger remaining plugged in otherwise the battery would drain within minutes and the laptop would die I know this ultimately bad for it though I didn't have a choice so I used my laptop like this for about a year and a half When the power cord needed replacing about months ago I gave in and managed a Rocketfish Universal AC Laptop Adapter with different tips included I found the tip for my laptop and was able to use the adapter for my laptop happily for about months when suddenly it too stopped charging my laptop I started having to literally hold the cord a certain way in order for it to work and then it got to the point where the tip had to be pushed in VERY hard and firmly and literally HELD in that position in order for my laptop to detect a charge and after trying several of the other tips with no luck that's when I gave up and saved just enough money for a lower-ended but nonetheless new laptop from Bestbuy My problem arises here This old laptop the eMachines E was the one I've used for college and EVERYTHING else up until about a month ago As aforementioned it's a -bit OS Windows with a x -based processor This laptop has a number of things on it that I am not ready to part with and therefore still somehow need to retrieve Assignments portfolios and data from last school year in Microsoft Office Five or so years worth of pictures that I'd like to still have keep Five or so years worth of iTunes music and A number of stored passwords on there that I've been struggling to remember since The laptop itself I can't even turn on at this time My new laptop It's a Hewlitt Packard product that came equipped with Windows of course but I did download the free upgrade to Windows quot PC Info quot gives the following information for Processor RAM and System Type respectively AMD A - M APU with Radeon tm HD Graphics GHz GB GB usable -bit Operating System x -based processor My question Is there any way I can somehow extract what I need from the eMachines E hard drive and transfer it my new HP laptop If so I'd appreciate any info very much on how it can be done and also what the process is like Thank you Please keep in mind a eMachines E cannot be turned on no working battery nor power cord b I'd be extracting from a Windows OS hard drive and transferring the needed files onto a Windows OS

A:Data transfer from Windows 7 hard drive to Windows 8.1 Hard drive

You will need to remove the hard drive from the old laptop.

Purchase a hard drive enclosure or adapter, I recommend this one Sabrent USB-DSC7 Hard Drive Adapter - 2.5/ 3.5/ 5.25 SATA to USB 3.0 at TigerDirect.com.

There are a lot of less expensive (cheaper) products, but many don't work when you take it out of the box.

Be sure to get one that works with 2.5 inch drives.

Connect the old drive to the adopter/enclosure, connect the power supply and plug the USB connector into the new computer. Then you can copy your files from the old drive.

You cannot copy your installed programs, they must be installed again from discs or downloads.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/310771-data-transfer-windows-7-hard-drive-windows-8-1-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I have a dell dimension 8200 windows xp home edition sp3. One of my hard drives has the fbi virus. I cant boot from a usb on it but the computer can have two hard drives plugged in at once. Could i plug the dirty hard drive in and scan and remove the virus from the clean one?.

A:Scanning dirty hard drive from clean hard drive in same computer

Hello, and Welcome

Detach the drive without the FBI virus. On another computer download Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Burn the iso to a CD. On a Windows 7 computer simply right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Connect the computer with the FBI virus via a Ethernet cable so Kaspersky can update it's definitions. Boot the disk and then open the terminal and type windowsunlocker (all lower case) shown in this guide. Then run the antivirus on the Kaspersky disk

http://media.kaspersky.com/downloads/consumer/kasp10.0_rescuedisk_en.pdf

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591973/scanning-dirty-hard-drive-from-clean-hard-drive-in-same-computer/
Relevancy 88.15%

I am having a serious problem with my pc.Windows disk is showing me these following errorsBoot sector of the hard drive disk is damagedBad sectors on hard drive or damaged file allocation tableRead time of hard drive clusters less the 500 msHard drive doesnt respond to system commands40% of hdd space is unreadableWhat does this mean and can I fix itI cannot access my documents folder or other programs Any Help would be greatI tried the defrag thing but it didnt workEdit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, at the recommendation of forum staff. ~ Animal

A:Critical Error Hard Drive not found. Missing hard Drive

When you say "Windows disk". Can you give a little better description of just what\where the warning message is coming from?

You "tried the defrag thing but it did`t work".

Where did you go to access the defrag? What does "it did`t work" mean?

The reason I am asking these questions is not to give you a hard time. There is a virus going around that is very similar in it`s behavior.

I am just trying to find out exactly what it is we are dealing with.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380473/critical-error-hard-drive-not-found-missing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 88.15%

I just installed a brand new Western Digital Hard Drive 160 gig. I partitioned it with FDISK, then formated, then did a clean install of windows XP. Everything was fine until after i finished the installation, and i tried to connect my old maxtor 20 gig so i could transfer some files over, and the computer stopped reading both hard drives. When i start it up, the computer can't boot from either drive. I've tried disconnecting each of the drives and only booting with one connected, with no luck. I also tried changing the gray strip, I can't remember what its official name is, but that didnt help either. When I go into BIOS and let it auto detect my drives, It wont recognize either of the drives.

A:New hard drive installed sucessfully, now my computer cant find any hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-installed-sucessfully-now-my-computer-cant-find-any-hard-drive.290955/
Relevancy 88.15%

hi all,
i hope someone can help me out, i am a newbie to all this so bare with me.
my hard drive failed over a month ago but i managed to do a system image with win7 to my new 2tb internal hard drive. i cannot get the image recovery to work as i says "no image can be found on hard disk". i am at a loss from there. I have tried and cried over this as its driving me mad as i have no pc.

Leroy

A:hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

just to add really that the system image is on my new hard drive (2tb internal). i use the boot dvd and i get a far as "repair my computer" click on it, sometimes i get message saying not compatable with this version of windows other times it lets me on to next bit, then says no image can be found on hard drive. if i go through the load drivers i can see my hard drive with items on it. ie windowsbackup and others. again i am at a loss with this, any help would be greatful.

Leroy

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/314470-hard-drive-failed-system-image-not-found-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I recently formatted my c drive and now i am reinstalling all the software. I keep all the setups of software in my external hard drive. For installing the software I coy the setup folder of the required software on my laptop, then install it.

Is straightaway installing the software by accessing the external hard drive okay? Does it make any difference in the installation time or any reduction in life of hard disk performance.

Or should I always install through my laptop hard drive?

I am running windows 8.1 pro

A:installation software from external hard drive or internal hard drive

Your method is as good as any. If it works, keep doing it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/installation-software-from-external-hard-drive-or-internal-hard-drive-1056962.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello guyz,
pliz help me with the steps involved in upgrading or replacing an MFM hard drive with IDE-class hard drive

A:STEPS TO UPGRADE/REPLACE an MFM hard drive with an IDE-class hard drive

Hi kfkaggwa, and welcome to TSG.

Any chance the motherboard has and IDE controller built in? If not, what kind of expansion card options does it have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-to-upgrade-replace-an-mfm-hard-drive-with-an-ide-class-hard-drive.606240/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello I just got a new Dell Dimension E with Vista as the operating system Vista Stinks For most programs including video and audio from XP Service Pack Vista doesn t recognize drivers that were fine with XP Service Pack Even Sonic and Roxio which are installed hard with Drive Can with XP? replaced Solved: Hard be Dell drive Vista on the damn thing give these same problems My internet connection is also no better at all and was outright disabled with a message quot something has caused Microsoft Internet to stop working quot Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? after I tried to install basic version of Zone Alarm Then on Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? reboot it says quot unauthorized change made to your license you must verify your software online quot This message come up before the desktop appears and this screen is frozen whether you choose the quot verify quot or quot cancel quot option Couldn t shut down by any means either including Control Alt Delete it wouldn t bring up that window Had to literally pull the plug and reboot into Safe Mode where I uninstalled Zone Alarm and a couple of other functions that worked perfectly in XP Then I was able to re-boot normally the message did not come up again I hate Vista Not interested in any quot fixes quot not worth the trouble The only fix for Vista is a sledgehammer to the drive My hope is this can I get the hard drive removed and replace it with a clean hard drive that has XP sp on it or am I stuck with this P O S Operating System The computer in question is a brand new Dell Dimension E GHz processor AMD Dual Core gb RAM Combined CD DVD drive gb hard drive Thanks for any help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-dell-hard-drive-with-vista-be-replaced-with-hard-drive-xp.563372/
Relevancy 88.15%

Had this laptop for about 6 years, had a few issues in the past, but nothing major like this. After, I ran a system dianostic, the result shown that the Hard drive short DST failed. Not totally sure how to do a recovery, I do have the Recovery Discs, so I searched up how to run the discs; turned on the system- press f11-  window loading files- window starting- then it just stuck on a window blue screen with nothing but the cursor. Can I even use the Recovery Discs? I want to replace the old HDD with a new SSD, but I'm not sure if I have to install a new OS or can I recover the old hard drive OS and transfer to the SSD?

A:Hard Drive failure (Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed)

DST:Fail means  the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-failure-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5789622
Relevancy 88.15%

I need an external hard drive for taking regular backups of all of my data.
When i searched the internet I got two options:
1. Porable HDD [high cost, slower speed but don't need external power]
2. Desktop HDD [low cost, higher speed but need external power]

I want to know that...
1. Which hard disk's live longer? Porable or Desktop.
2. I heared that pulling off USB cable of Portable HDD may cause data lose because it also supplies power to hdd.
What will happpen if Power goes off from Desktop HDD? Will my data/Hard disk remain protected?
3. Level of safety of data on moving or shaking on both Desktop and Portable HDD.
4. Can we install os and boot from portable and desktop external hdd?

A:Need Advice : External Desktop Hard drive vs Portable Hard drive?

Unless you really need to go portable with a Laptop .. I'd not use a USB powered External.
You cannot boot from a USB External .. But there's another option if you're capable of physically changing HDDs ..

Get a good external Enclosure (with a fan for cooling) .. Install a good HDD ... with a 5 year warranty
and make the HDD in the enclosure a bootable backup .. where you could swap HDDs if/when needed ..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-external-desktop-hard-drive-vs-portable-hard-drive.988810/
Relevancy 88.15%

hi .
i have a Compaq nx 7400 .
i was hahving a lot of problems with the computer so i decided to put a new hard drive in and reinstall XP .
well i have the new hard drive in and started up the machine and changed the bott options to run from the dvd and all went fine until i should press the ENTER ( return ) button to install XP now . as soon as i did that the next window said no hard drive found . this was also happening on the old hard drive that was in the machine .

im stuck and i dont know what else to try . anyone had this problem before .?

Thanks for any help .
very strange .
Timo

A:Solved: new hard drive xp , new install, doesnt find hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-hard-drive-xp-new-install-doesnt-find-hard-drive.726533/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello I put my little girls laptop in for repair they replaced her hard drive The cost of having windows drivers etc installed was beyond me so the nice gent there gave me a windows disc and said i should be fine to install it myself as i have the authentication code I went into the bios and changed the boot order to boot first from dvd put in the installing windows Problems on hard new drive Solved: disc and restarted At first all seems to be going well then i see the following on the screen windows is loading files then starting windows the windows background comes up then i get a cmd box titled X windows system cmd exe-startnet cmd and in the box x windows system gt wpe in it then the title changes to Administrator X windows system cmd exe and in the box it says X windows system gt wpe in it and X windows system gt I don t know what info is relevant so i will include what i can about her computer and the new hard drive the Solved: Problems installing windows on new hard drive drive is a western digital technologies inch gb sata hard drive The laptop is a toshiba satelite C D model PSCOYA NO the windows sticker says it runs windows home Solved: Problems installing windows on new hard drive premium OA the disc the gent at the store gave me says windows OEM preinstallation disc I literally know more latin than computer terms so i really need some advice Well i hope this info helps if someone is willing to help and needs more info please let me know Mel nbsp

Relevancy 88.15%

Alright I just recently bought a hard drive like three windows run drive? Problems install Cannot with Solved: hard XP months ago I ve installed windows on it about four or five times due to a reformat I reformat again due to Solved: Problems with hard drive? Cannot run windows XP install a virus and I get this error for the the first time quot Windows XP Home Edition Setup Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct This may involve running a manufacturer supplied dianostic or setup programs Setup cannot continue To quit press F Solved: Problems with hard drive? Cannot run windows XP install quot This all happens during reformat when I hit enter to install windows It s odd because I checked mu connections and made sure they were all plugged in and it worked but only for a few hours Then my computer crashed no blue screen or anything and acted like it was restarting but didn t boot up or anything I hit the power button to restart it and it would just stay at the bootup screen for my mother board which gives ya the info on if ya wanna enter bios etc So I go to reinstall my windows and it gives me this error again Any ideas Is my hard drive just retarded Should I go out and buy another one Is it dying etc because it s worked fine up until now and I ve been able to install windows no problem before without needing any bootup disks to install drivers for my hard drive or anything I ve also checked the jumpers There s no need for one if you only have one running hard drive for WD so I took that off a while ago Desperate for help please Computer specs Mobo Asus P B Processor new Intel conroe processor HD Western Digital Sata extra hd info WD Caviar RE WD Serial ATA Hard Drive nbsp

Relevancy 88.15%

I have a Dell Dimension application hard New drive windows Solved: = problems and replaced the tiny hard drive with a new one last week We copied all Solved: New hard drive = windows application problems the information and Solved: New hard drive = windows application problems formatting of the old one exactly to the new one and then booted the computer with the new hard drive Now I am having difficulty opening excel files - the computer pops up a now installing message then that goes away automatically and it comes back with the selected workbook open It does that every single time and takes a long time to Solved: New hard drive = windows application problems do so Excel is installed on my computer I can open it from the Programs file without a problem Also we have two machines that are networked and my hyperlinks to the other computer doc files open just fine But if I access that computer s files by going through the normal channels the files take forever to open I tried to run the detect and repair but now it does not recognize my CD telling me it may not be an authentic CD but it is I cannot uninstall and reinstall XP for the same reason - it does not recognize the disk as authentic Shortcuts that used to work just fine are now very very slow What did I do wrong and how can I fix things My tiny hard drive was slow but this is worse Thanks in advance Pam nbsp

Relevancy 88.15%

My Hard-drive recently crashed so I purchased a new one but I didn't have my recovery CD's so I went ahead and used my friends Windows 7 "ULTIMATE" disc not realizing that the product key I own is a Windows 7 "Home Premium" key.

Now Ultimate is installed on my machine and not authenticated so I purchased the recovery discs for Home Premium from the manufacturer's website but when I boot up the PC with the disc in the CD-ROM it just goes straight to windows and won't recognize or load the disc.

Any ideas?

A:Having problems recovering windows after a hard-drive crash.

Have you set the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive first---or, alternatively, do you have a menu available maybe by F8 during boot that will allow you to choose the DVD as the first boot device for this boot only?

I'm not sure if your recovery disks are CD or DVD, but I wouldn't expect a CD reader to read DVDs.

Are the recovery disks visible in Windows Explorer?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/200185-having-problems-recovering-windows-after-hard-drive-crash.html
Relevancy 88.15%

windows cannot be installed to disk 0 partition3. (show details)

install windows:

windows cannot be installed to this disk. the disk may fail soon. if other hard disks are available, instal windows to another locatio.

i tried to install it on other partitions but there is the same problem as on the partition 3

what should i do ?

A:windows 7 instalation problems, hard drive is corrupted

Hello frencok and welcome to Seven Forums.

When a message such as "the disk may fail soon" is received, it means the entire disk (hard drive) is in danger of failing. So it wouldn't matter what partition you use. You could go to the disk manufacturer's website and you should be able to find a diagnostic tool that can check the disk's condition. If you don't know the manufacturer you could visit the Seagate website and use their SeaTools for Windows diagnostic utility. If your hard drive (Disk 0) fails the test, I'd suggest buying a new disk.

SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/237963-windows-7-instalation-problems-hard-drive-corrupted.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I purchased the ISO for Windows 7 Ultimate, and used PowerISO to mount the ISO onto my CD Drive then I copied the files to my Western Digital 320 GB external hard drive. I did all of the prior requirements that were needed such as making sure the boot code was correct I used the following in command prompt under administrator: bootsect.exe /nt60 /fixmbr. I then proceeded to change the boot order for the external hard drive to boot first and put my current hard drive that is installed booting last in order not to confuse the BIOS. Yet when I restart my computer all that I get is a small blinking underscore, and it will not proceed any further. I know that I could burn the ISO to a DVD-R or put it on a Flash Drive, but I don't have any money currently. Can anyone help me proceed past this point please?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-installing-windows-7-via-external-hard-drive.932574/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi recently upgraded the hard drive in my laptop from a gig drive to a gig drive using Seagate s discwizard tool The cloning went smoothly The new hard drive worked flawlessly after install I ran a defrag to clean it up and when I went to turn it on the next morning magically windows would no longer boot So I cloned it again and this time it worked wonderfully for a couple of weeks I thought maybe something just screwed up in the original cloning So yesterday my computer loads updates from Windows update I installed them all thinking nothing of it went to turn on my computer tonight surprise surprise windows is missing some files and the computer won t boot So having drive problems windows hard New update cloned I swapped the drive out and put the old one back in and I m wondering if anyone knows what this might be before I go through the whole cloning process again Any help New cloned hard drive having windows update problems is greatly appreciated I m really tired of swapping out drives Thanks nbsp

A:New cloned hard drive having windows update problems

I assume you have checked and the bios of your machine does support drives of that size.

Next have you tested the drive with seatools diagnostic?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-cloned-hard-drive-having-windows-update-problems.822765/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi problems or Reboot. bad drive? Windows BSOD then hard all Chkdsk r took two days to get to so I shut it down was able to run windows but then tried to run other softwares to see if i had bad sectors and wanted them relocated ran diskpatch and ran the scan for read errors while it was also hanging I decided to abort then it shows up to read errors this is not a read write test read only test but somhow either it or the disk itself relocated Windows problems or bad hard drive? BSOD then Reboot. some of the bad sectors among them was first few sectors so Windows problems or bad hard drive? BSOD then Reboot. my partition doesnt start at anymore maybe like or or so anyways Tried to reboot but i get blue screen briefly followed Windows problems or bad hard drive? BSOD then Reboot. by reboot Now trying scan disk in recovery and seems to get stuck on wanted to do a windows xp install on my other partitions but it doesnt show partition C as a NTSC anymore it shows unknown file system format also I wanted to try and reinstall-repair windows over exisiting xp on C cant do thaat since it is stuck at unknown file system I will leave chkdsk p to run over night but if problem persists i think im gonna have to format c I dont belive I have physical bad sector just badly corrupted sectors But i dont have any free software to test it BTW the hard drive test in BIOS failed and using speenfan SMART output it shows i have over reallocated sectors and pending this was after Diskpatch before it was arround pending but I didnt have reallocated sectors maybe or so I probbaly have bad sectors already re-allocated I have few more need re-allocating once all spares are used I need a new hard drive but this problem can be solved I just dont know how I dont want to do a LLF on C partition even if i did I dont regain the physically good allocated sectors do I Any way to trick the installation CD that C is valid NTFS file system nbsp

Relevancy 88.15%

I purchased the ISO for Windows 7 Ultimate, and used PowerISO to mount the ISO onto my CD Drive then I copied the files to my Western Digital 320 GB external hard drive. I did all of the prior requirements that were needed such as making sure the boot code was correct I used the following in command prompt under administrator: bootsect.exe /nt60 /fixmbr. I then proceeded to change the boot order for the external hard drive to boot first and put my current hard drive that is installed booting last in order not to confuse the BIOS. Yet when I restart my computer all that I get is a small blinking underscore, and it will not proceed any further. I know that I could burn the ISO to a DVD-R or put it on a Flash Drive, but I don't have any money currently. Can anyone help me proceed past this point please?

A:Problems Installing Windows 7 via external hard drive.

Hi -

Windows 7 must be installed from burned DVD or USB stick -

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../dd535816.aspx

You can purchase DVDs for < $1 each at many local stores.

Use ImgBurn to burn ISO to DVD --> http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problems-installing-windows-7-via-external-hard-drive-494163.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Windows XP Pro displays the primary hard Drive set as the master on IDE 1 as drive F: instead of drive C:. I can not find the cause.....any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

A:Windows XP displays primary hard drive as drive F: instead of Drive C:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-displays-primary-hard-drive-as-drive-f-instead-of-drive-c.263163/
Relevancy 87.72%

Hey there guys about six months ago I started receiving an error every few days on my computer on boot and it was something along the lines of 'pxe-rom Check cable connection ' To fix it I just used my Windows install CD and it was fine until whenever it'd happen again Now just about three days ago an error popped up that said 'Windows has problem. detected Windows Hard drive hard has a failing? disk detected a hard disk problem' The hard drive is a GB Toshiba MK GSXN Anyway after Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Hard drive failing? getting that message I quickly backed up all of my important documents and stuff onto an external HDD It was also very slow slower than my computer had ever been So I decided to do a clean install since scans with Malwarebytes and AVG detected nothing And then once it finished it popped up the error message again I have noticed that the slowness has gone but I'm not installing any programs in case it does fail I am wondering that maybe the 'check cable connection' error was telling me something but I didn't think anything of it So does it sound like I need to get a new hard drive EDIT I bought a new hard drive fixed

A:Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Hard drive failing?

In many cases, that is Windows way of saying your hard drive is in imminent danger of failing. Of course there could be other problems, but windows will usually detect it first. A tutorial that may help is simple to use, but may take a while. Disk Check I would also get the Manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic program to check the drive. You were wise to back up all of your personal information.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/271067-windows-has-detected-hard-disk-problem-hard-drive-failing.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi,

I have two hard drives(40 GB & 160GB both internal) installed in my system. Earlier I had installed windows XP on the first hard drive (40GB) and was using second hard drive as additional storage. I had partitioned my second hard drive into 5 partitions P, Q, R, S, T. Recently I reformatted my first hard drive and reinstalled windows XP. However this has also affected my second hard drive. Now Windows shows only two drives C: (my first hard drive) and D: (second hard drive) as only one partition each. Moreover it is not showing any data on the second hard drive. I want to get back my parition info and data on the second hard drive. I thought that formatting my first drive will not affect second drive and therefore didn't take back up of the second drive. What shall I do to get back my data and partition info.
Regards,
Ansh

A:How to get data from second hard drive after reformatting windows on other hard driv

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-get-data-from-second-hard-drive-after-reformatting-windows-on-other-hard-driv.861162/
Relevancy 87.29%

have an hp notebook - had windows 7 installed in it from the manufacturer. Lately it told me windows was not genuine. The product key didn't work. Bought a new windows 7- installed it with the new key. Had driver issues with the wireless adapter. Have a Lacie 1TB external hard drive - now it shows up in devices - not in hard drives - but I can't access it - tried another cable - nothing - seems to be spooling correctly. Tried to find a driver on Lacie's site - nothing. Looks like it is using a microsoft driver at the moment. Any ideas?

A:external hard drive problems - windows 7 home premium

After installing the new Operating System did you install all the motherboard drivers like Chip-set etc.?

Have you got all windows updates?

The external hard drive doesn't need any special drivers the windows should be fine seeing it....if the Hard drive hasn't any problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-problems-windows-7-home-premium.1016443/
Relevancy 87.29%

I am having problems accessing a newly installed external hard drive. Keep getting the "windows explorer has encountered a problem" message , after which my computer goes back to my desktop. Everything else seems to run correctly. Please note that I am a noob about these things. Please help. I can move content onto the drive succesfully, it's just opening it without resets or freezes that is causing the problems. thank you in advance.

A:Windows Explorer Problems When Accessing External Hard Drive

Is this a hard drive that you bought pre-configured, or is it a hard drive that you've bought a drive caddy for? If it's pre-configured, then I'd suspect an issue with the hardware of the external drive. If it's your caddy, then I'd suggest checking the jumper settings on the hard drive to ensure that they're correctly set.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/93842/windows-explorer-problems-when-accessing-external-hard-drive/