Windows Support Forum

Office 365 with (2016) apps Word/Outlook Spellcheck extra features

Q: Office 365 with (2016) apps Word/Outlook Spellcheck extra features

One of my systems out of four Spellcheck with 365 apps features extra Word/Outlook (2016) Office that all have recently about weeks back been completely reloaded for Office including a full run of the MS uninstaller app first now has a feature that Office 365 with (2016) apps Word/Outlook Spellcheck extra features many people have asked for but MS has yet to restore On this one system spellcheck works in a way I Office 365 with (2016) apps Word/Outlook Spellcheck extra features have never seen and I would LOVE to get the same functionality onto the other systems if possible In our office ONE other person out of also seems to have lucked out and gotten the same setup but no one else has This is Office Business installing the App package All users have the same option which is Office Insider Slow Ver build The spellcheck feature I am seeing like this is in the desktop software not the Cloud version On the one quot special quot copy Spellcheck has become a much More useful and handy option Any misspelled word is underlined in the usual red squiggly line but after that right clicking it brings up many new options to correct It has the usual suggested correct spellings - but - now each of them is accompanied by a short dictionary-like definition of the word when spelled that way PLUS they each have another black arrow that if clicked offers to read the word aloud and more important offers to make that spelling of the word into an Auto-correct option Right There No need to jump through all the usual hoops to get it added This same 'feature' also works in Word and all the other Office Desktop Apps on that one system I have tried to check everything i can find that would indicate any new or different version of anything but cannot find a single change that is different between it and the other three systems my email address is licensed on Nor can i find anything in Windows configs that is different I have nothing in common with the one other person who also somehow ended up with this new setup either This actions look a little like a grammar check but isn't Words that are spelled correctly but are not the right word for the sentence as used are underlined in a double blue line which can be clicked to get the same options along with their definitions I have asked in several MS forums about this but gotten no replies to answer the mystery I did run across a few posts from people asking MS to restore the option for adding the quot auto correct quot direct from the right click on the misspelled word as it used to be Also a statement from MS that this was a planned FIX to happen this year I dont want to scrub too deeply on the one system as i am afraid this new feature will stop working and I dont want to lose it If anyone else has seen this and knows what it is or how to control it I would surely like to know how to activate it on my other systems

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/68261-office-365-2016-apps-word-outlook-spellcheck-extra-features.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Office 365 with (2016) apps Word/Outlook Spellcheck extra features

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 31.82%

Razer on Tuesday unveiled what it's calling the world's most advanced gaming mouse. Now in its third iteration, the 2015 Razer Mamba features a brand new 5G laser sensor and Adjustable Click Force Technology, among other features.

Read more

A:Razer's new Mamba features 16,000 DPI laser sensor in wired and wireless configurations

I'll pass. I don't game on anything that low. :\
Does anyone even go outside the 800-2000dpi range? I keep my mouse at 2000dpi.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/razers-new-mamba-features-16-000-dpi-laser-sensor-in-wired-and-wireless-configurations.214881/
Relevancy 31.39%

According to the latest reports, AMD will skip the problematic 20nm manufacturing node for their next-generation 'Arctic Islands' GPUs, which the company is expected to launch in 2016. Instead, Arctic Islands will progress directly to 14nm FinFET in the hope...

Read more

A:AMD to reportedly skip 20nm entirely for its 2016 GPU family

Sounds like a good strategy.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-to-reportedly-skip-20nm-entirely-for-its-2016-gpu-family.212286/
Relevancy 30.96%

AMD's roadmap for the next two years has leaked, and it's filled with information about what the company is planning for their desktop and mobile CPU and APU lines. While 2015 will see a mix of 32, 28 and 20nm chips,...

Read more

A:Leaked AMD roadmap suggests all 2016 APUs will be 14nm

If it beats the Bulldozer family by a solid 5-10% in video games plus media encoding with reasonable prices, I am going to use it for all my builds.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/leaked-amd-roadmap-suggests-all-2016-apus-will-be-14nm.212540/
Relevancy 31.82%

The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) trade show is in full swing this week with several technology giants on hand to show off their latest products. One of the early frontrunners for attention is HP's new DreamColor Z32x, a professional-grade...

Read more

A:HP's massive professional-grade 4K monitor features 10-bit color spectrum, IPS panel and more

The picture in picture feature is awesome

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hps-massive-professional-grade-4k-monitor-features-10-bit-color-spectrum-ips-panel-and-more.211399/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi guys - this is a weird problem that I ve always had since building this computer or years ago and I don t think the drive was new when I built it so it went from totally normal in my xp machine to doing this weird thing when I put it in a new system with Win I ve searched and not been able to find anyone with the same problem It normally occurs when listening to music or watching a film and it only happens very occasionally when you go to skip to to a new song or skip to a different place in the video It s never been a Some then HD until whirs clicks apps unresponsive major problem and in fact I think it s only done it once this week so aside from googling it a couple of times never actually got very far with fixing it So in winamp for example just after opening it I ll click next song winamp installation and music are on different hard drives as are VLC and movies and it ll freeze Then the disk will make a whir and about seconds later there will be a click and everything will come Some apps unresponsive until HD whirs then clicks back to life During this time I can move my mouse and do other things on the computer Like I said it s always done this and it s never got any worse or anything so I don t think it s a faulty drive but I ll post this in the HD section too just to see if any experts there can shed any light on it Thanks for your help nbsp

A:Some apps unresponsive until HD whirs then clicks

Look at your power profile settings. Likely the HD is being powered off after xx minutes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/some-apps-unresponsive-until-hd-whirs-then-clicks.210755/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi all

We're about to get fibre connected to our office building and the installation team have told us they'll be running Cat 7 cables to each office so we need to source a compatible router. I didn't even know there was a Cat 7 until last week, so don't know what I need to get!

I've been looking at AC Wireless routers but I have no idea if Cat 7 is compatible with them. Does Cat 7 use the same terminals as Cat 5/5e/6? Will I be fine going for a standard router or do I require something more specific?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Now looking for recommendations on suitable routers, see post 3 for details

A:Fibre Router for Office

Same connectors as 5/5e/6, so any router that would be suitable for your office on 5e/6 will be fine for 7.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fibre-router-for-office.203903/
Relevancy 33.54%

Just to be and Nvidia AMD: Features vs. Software clear I want NO ARGUMENTS This is a reasonable discussion The conflict between the two major GPU developers is as old as I remember and while the obvious answer in which is better depends on how much you want to spend and various subtleties in manufacturing Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software and releases the two generally leapfrog each other with every release I want to discuss what in terms of software support features and game coding each has over the other Lets start with what almost everybody knows Nvidia release drivers every time there s an actual update not the regular monthly update that AMD tend to do and while this probably results in better Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software updates it can mean a long time between problems getting fixed waiting for small fixes because a Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software big bug takes a long time to patch Nvidia have also developed the G-Sync for monitors which I barely know anything about - kind of the point of this thread a can anyone shed light on how this performs I ll update this top post as others provide feedback AMD s Mantle technology is becoming more and more widespread in new releases especially as AMD make more deals with game developers While my AMD GPU is too old to benefit from the Mantle updates it is doing well in trying to convince me to get AMD as my next card as well Again can anyone provide feedback on how the newer AMD cards perform on the Mantle-enabled games Cheers guys nbsp

A:Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software

ETF Soldier said:

Just to be clear, I want NO ARGUMENTS. This is a reasonable discussion.

The conflict between the two major GPU developers is as old as I remember, and while the obvious answer in which is better depends on how much you want to spend and various subtleties in manufacturing and releases, the two generally leapfrog each other with every release, I want to discuss what, in terms of software support, features and game coding, each has over the other.

Lets start with what almost everybody knows:

Nvidia release drivers every time there's an actual update, not the regular monthly update that AMD tend to do, and while this probably results in better updates, it can mean a long time between problems getting fixed (waiting for small fixes because a big bug takes a long time to patch).
Nvidia have also developed the V-sync for monitors, which I barely know anything about - kind of the point of this thread, a can anyone shed light on how this performs? (I'll update this top post as others provide feedback)
AMD's Mantle technology is becoming more and more widespread in new releases, especially as AMD make more deals with game developers. While my AMD GPU is too old to benefit from the Mantle updates, it is doing well in trying to convince me to get AMD as my next card as well. Again, can anyone provide feedback on how the newer AMD cards perform on the Mantle-enabled games?
Cheers guys.Click to expand...

Firstly I think both companies release drivers at pretty regular intervals at this point, every major game release at least entitles a beta driver minimum.

Your speaking about G-Sync I believe. It works very well for what it is which makes the monitor and GPU communicate together to change the refresh of the monitor live to match the output FPS in order to keep the game seeming as smooth as possible with no lag, frame tears, etc. Its an excellent piece of technology but you pay a 250+ dollar premium for a monitor with it minimum. Right now DisplayPort 1.2a added this to the VESA standard so now it can be done on monitors without the specific G-SYNC module however AMD is the only one to support this in the future when they start appearing but its still going to require some work from the monitor companies. G-Sync is awesome for high resolution and high refresh setups where stability is a bit harder to achieve.

BF4 with Mantle and surround going (Ill have my Asus UHD monitor today to try) is able to maintain easy 60 FPS ultra and thief is the same way. Those are the only two mantle games I have tried as I have not gotten around to getting one other game that supports it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-vs-amd-features-and-software.203796/
Relevancy 31.82%

Recently a hard drive named OS (X: ) (space inserted so it isn't posted as a smiley face) appeared in my computer. It seems to be identical in memory to my actual hard drive, but is actually empty. What exactly should be done about this?

A:Empty extra hard drive?

Not sure off hand but I'd open up Disk Management to see what it says there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/empty-extra-hard-drive.203533/
Relevancy 30.96%

I have an internet connection that I have extended to my Brother in law's house, next door. At the moment, I basically have two LAN cables coming out of my modem/router, one going to my computer and another, extended cable, going to his computer.
However, he wants to use his spare modem/router, which has wifi capability, to allow his son to use his own computer downstair with only wifi.
Therefore, will there be any conflicts if I simply splice in a Lan cable or add a lan socket for the second modem/router (wifi location.) at the appropriate point along Lan cable 2? See diagram below.
If there is a possibility of conflict what would be an alternate wiring method?

Thanks,
Tom.

A:Adding extra wifi (modem/router) to my already extended network

Good drawing and this will work just fine. In fact, that's what I use to get access at the far end of the house. Here's the trick;

router#1(lan slot) ---- (lan slot) router#2 with wifi​
Notice that #2 WAN slot is left empty! This places all systems on the same subnet of the router#1 {what you are doing is making router#2 act like a switch which has wifi support (y) }

* Give router# a unique LAN address (If #1 is 192.168.1.1, then make #2 192.168.1.1) This will allow each to be manage via a browser connection
* in router#2 disable DHCP. This forces #1 to be the manager of the entire network and it will handout all IP addresses
Personally, I use the MAC addresses of my devices to enable router#1 to use Address Reservation of IP address for all devices attached to #1 (ie I map the devices to the range 1.2-> 1.10)

Then set the DHCP range in #1 to 1.100-1.50
These will be used for all devices attached (wired or wifi) to #2

Optional:
All systems can then use the firewall to allow or deny access for one or both halves of the network. EG: I permit access for 1-10 and 255 while denying 100-254​ALL system must allow the top-end address 255 as that is the broadcast address that is used to hand out the DHCP data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-extra-wifi-modem-router-to-my-already-extended-network.203204/
Relevancy 31.82%

Ok,I am building a PC and I would like to buy EVGA GTX 650 Superclocked 2GB GDDR5.
I got one 120 mm fan and I can afford myself one more(both 1200 rpm)
Will that cut it?

A:Will Superclocked model of a GPU need any extra fans?

You don't need to if you don't want to.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-superclocked-model-of-a-gpu-need-any-extra-fans.201420/
Relevancy 32.25%

My last modem dlink wifi modems chipset was damaged due to high voltage...I've bought a new one called dlink DSL 2750u1 which is supposedly the best company offers... Now it's got 4 Ethernet ports , wifi and other usual suspects. But what intrigutes me is the USB 3.0 port, which I know is for connecting with comps without Ethernet cards , but it's also mentioned on the box that it offers to store and access data in hard drives and flash drives over network, connecting
Printers and converting net dongles into wifi.
As of now I really wanna know how to acces data in connected HDDs and pen drives.
Thank you in advance...

A:USB port in modem extra uses?

I think if you set it up right, you can stream the content on you USB or portable harddrive from the USB3 port that you on the modem through wifi

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-port-in-modem-extra-uses.199670/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have operated a small one man IT company for the last several years Most of my clients are small businesses Lawyers Chiropracters non-profits Right now I have several client offices that are upgrading up from Pentium systems and a few others that want to add basic desktop systems to their offices to act as counterparts to their mobile computers that they use primarily These offices generally are interested in low cost systems that can adequately and relatively speedily handle their basic operations web browsing word processing email database and CRM access etc Anyways I have generally not kept a large number of systems in stock before usually reselling systems that clients trade-in to other clients or just helping an office choose a good system off of newegg or geeks Since I have had so many requests for systems lately though I have decided to start actively buying systems office to Processor resell suggestions systems budget for I have over a decade of experience refurbishing systems so I decided to shop around for used systems to fix up but I have been having a hard time deciding Processor suggestions for budget office systems to resell on a processor line generation brand to focus on I m considering the Intel Core Duo or a Turion or Athlon dual core Pentium D dual cores are very cheap but I know they are much slower than the core duos From their benchmark scores though it seems like a GHZ pentium d might be better than a Ghz core duo Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated in this regard My goal is to keep these systems under to sell and I don t need anything cutting edge nbsp

A:Processor suggestions for budget office systems to resell

I think a Pentium G2020 will bring you the best performance for $65. The AMD A4-5300 is another great choice for $55. I think the Pentium is probably the better choice because of the larger cache, but for web browsing, word processing, and basic activities, the AMD will be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-suggestions-for-budget-office-systems-to-resell.192622/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello At the office where I work one view to office network DVR Using card there are two different phone lines each of which has a DSL contract On Using one network card to view office DVR one of the lines there is a dsl modem router which has a dvr connected for the security cameras I use the other router to Using one network card to view office DVR connect to the internet and for the local network sharing files with colleagues When I view the security cameras over the internet Using one network card to view office DVR using the router I connect to the image is really delayed I want to connect to the DVR v a local network with one network card so that the image is not delayed and use the other network card for the file sharing and accessing the internet How can I do this without creating a conflict I e having my computer try to connect to the internet using the network card for the dvr In summary I want to use one network card exclusively to view the security cameras and another network card for the internet and file sharing I m using Windows Home Premium Any help would be appreciated nbsp

A:Using one network card to view office DVR

You should be fine as long as the Internet NIC is plugged in first. Your routing table will confirm you have done it correctly.

jobeard can expand.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-one-network-card-to-view-office-dvr.193241/
Relevancy 21.5%

Guys, a netbook with this config
pro:Intel atom 1.46ghz
Ram:1 gb ddr3
can run ms office 2007 or10 or13 easily without hanging up in middle of work and BIG PDF files also.For example netbook here is one:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-10-...Windows/dp/B001GZC8K8/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url
Thanks

A:Can a netbook run MS Word 2007-13 easily?

You would need to define exactly what you mean by big files.

I would say yes as Office 2010 is installed on one of our Netbooks, but that really depend on just how big a file you are referring to.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-a-netbook-run-ms-word-2007-13-easily.190257/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have a windows vista laptop and had a external tv connected to it and it worked.
I now have a new tv and cant get an output to it.
connected via a vdu cable as it was before.
and can get an output if I start the laptop in safe mode so I know the connection is ok.
any ideas?
Barry

A:Problem with extra monitor for Vista laptop

Did you get this working?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-extra-monitor-for-vista-laptop.183152/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi folks I m new here and not greatly technically minded My Acer Aspire Z laptop has been acting strange for a few days running Windows btw Some of the issues are even happening right now ie as I type the cursor will sometimes restart a new line as if I ve pressed the Return button Acer apps is Laptop and and more opens multiple corrupted This is esp bad in emails and Facebook and often the cursor flies down miles Acer Laptop is corrupted and opens multiple apps and more making it a pain to get back to where I was That s not all though There s a horrible beeping noise when I start up the laptop first thing It goes after I press one of the F buttons The worst though is when I try to open up some app on my desktop and sometimes the laptop goes crazy and opens up multiple other apps software There have been instances where there are dozens of the same pages opening I have McAfee Internet Security and have run Malwarebytes and Spybot but problem is still there Is this a hardware problem do Acer Laptop is corrupted and opens multiple apps and more you think I m not great at techie Acer Laptop is corrupted and opens multiple apps and more speak so please go easy with me but I d be grateful for any advice Cheers David nbsp

A:Acer Laptop is corrupted and opens multiple apps and more

UNless someone else has a better idea, how old is this computer & is it still under warranty? If so, I'd get a hold of the where you bought it & get it checked out. IF you don't & have "other" work done on it, it could VOID the warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-laptop-is-corrupted-and-opens-multiple-apps-and-more.183988/
Relevancy 32.25%

I need to add an additional USB header for my Gigabyte motherboard, the 2 headers on the motherboard are dedicated to running the 4 USB ports on the front panel.However I am adding an additional device to the front panel that also requires a USB header, so an obvious solution would be a splitter of some kind that would allow one of the headers to pull double duty for the front panel USB ports as well as facilitating the new device. Anyone ever hear of a Y splitter or some other solution that can make this work?,I could always just unplug one of the headers and go with just 2 USB ports on the front but I would rather not make any compromises.

A:Need an extra motherboard USB header

Try this. I've purchased one and found they work really well.

NZXT IU01 USB 2.0 Internal Expansion Hub

NZXT IU01 USB 2.0 Internal Expansion Hub Review

Stores:

store.nzxt
tigerdirect
directron
amazon

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-an-extra-motherboard-usb-header.179932/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi all So the situation is thus we are looking into getting a new office NAS server? for server for our office currently all individual desktops and laptops and have been given a quote that has come in considerably higher than we d anticipated Part of this is due to the addition of a tape auto-loader as a backup device which is coming in at including tapes The benefits we ve been given for this are tapes being more robust especially if being take off NAS for office server? site and more secure than hard drives but I have a concern at how accessible the data is should we need to resort to accessing the backup This got me to thinking would a NAS device or multiple with hot-swappable drives used in a similar way provide the same functionality as the auto-loader but at a much cheaper cost And if so what would people recommend for this I am fairly well versed on consumer devices from the likes of Synology and we already have a Lacie NAS in the office for general file storage though it s not been that relaible but I have no experience with multiple bay hot-swappable models Is there a particular brand I should look at that offer more commercial devices or would a -bay Synology be fine Thanks in advance grinthumb nbsp

A:NAS for office server?

You are into the area of planning called "Business Continuation"; how do you continue
when there are different levels of failure?

Consider (list in order of difficulty):

drive or system fails
building becomes unusable (fire / floor/ storm)
city takes a tornado / hurricane hit
county / state looses power

In addition, tapes per se are frail media and for long term storage, need humidity and temp controlled storage - - and regardless, the magnetic info degrades and/or 'imprints' from one layer adjcent to another. We saw this with IBM and tapes stored at Iron Mountain.

Local backups (ie store onsite) work well for all variations of (1) and off-site storage
only delays the recovery time.

(2) will likely wipeout all local backups (tape or otherwise) and is why off-site is necessary.

(3+4) makes the point that off-site storage is viable ONLY when it is outside the area of the disaster.

IMO, tape is a dead media - - what a mess if you need to use a backup set and find that after mounting several tapes in a restore you find that the nTH tape is unreadable :OUCH:

a) you ask the right question; which NAS systems are most reliable?
Google for "review scsi nas with hotswap".

b) get a SCSI enclosure with several bays and implement Raid-1 (mirrored)
with auto-rebuild to avoid hard stopping the system while a new drive is brought online.

c) determine the degree of effort to recover 'lost data'. It is impractical to take
a drive offline every day, so what period can you tolerate between HD rotations?
(suggest one per week + one per month = 8 drive in rotation pool).
Then keep last weeks drive local and all else offsite.

my $0.02

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nas-for-office-server.178981/
Relevancy 18.06%

Im trying to set up an email in outlook 2007 with ms exchange 2003. Under the exchange proxy settings, i set the connection settings to RPC.domain, and check the box that says "Only connect to proxy servers that have this principal in their certificate: I use the "msstd:rpc.domain

A:MS Outlook connection with Exchange 2003

Sorrry, I accidently posted before i was finished. but I get an error message saying "the connection to ms exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or conncected to complete this action. Can anyone help me with this. Much appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ms-outlook-connection-with-exchange-2003.176076/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hello!

I have just built my new PC in the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced, I have one extra fan (which came with my old Cooler Master case) that I would like to use. I was going to use it as an intake as that would create a more positive pressure which should yield lower temps. I was wandering where to put it, should I put it at the bottom? Or on the lower fan slot on the sidepanel? Also, Im sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance!

-nubki11a

A:Where to position extra fan in CM 690 II Advanced?

I always thought having negative pressure (more exhausts than intakes) was better for temperatures because it creates a kind of vacuum, and positive pressure means the hot air will just stay inside the case.

Anyway there are many theories around placement of fans and it's different for different cases so I guess your best bet would just be to experiment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/where-to-position-extra-fan-in-cm-690-ii-advanced.174857/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello all,

Please feel free to comment on this hardware list.
Use : as above in title
No: O/C,SLI,Crossfire,movie downloads,on line games, etc.
Have: 1440x900 flat screen,mouse,keyboard,speakers
Budget;< $600

Thanks in advance for your kind input.

ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM H61 DDR3 LGA1155 mATX PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 PCI VGA DVI B3 Motherboard

Intel Pentium Dual Core G620 Processor LGA1155 2.6GHZ 3MB Retail Box

Powercolor Radeon HD 6770 850MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI VGA PCI-E Video Card

Kingston 4GB Kit 2X2GB 1333MHz DDR3 240PIN DIMM Unbuffered CL9 1.5V Memory Kit

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM 3.5IN SATA Internal Hard Drive OEM

LG GH22NS70 Super Multi 22X SATA DVD Writer Black OEM

Coolermaster Elite 370 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS

Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CXV2 430W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan

A:Budget new build for home/office/casual gaming

Nice build

The Radeon HD 6770 has a requirement of "450 Watt or greater power supply"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/budget-new-build-for-home-office-casual-gaming.174536/
Relevancy 22.36%

Not sure if this belongs here or on the networking board. Anyway...
We have a network of about 20 pcs. I recently installed four new machines that run Windows 7 with Office 2010. The server is running Server 2003. Three of the machines worked perfectly from the beginning, accessing the server and sharing folders and files. One machine will only open files in "read only" mode. I have shared all the folders and given every permission there is but it will only open the files in "read only". It is a critical accounting machine that has to share and change files. What am I missing?

A:Sharing folders and files in Office 2010

hmm; your wording is imprecise so need to make sure what you mean,

Office 2010 can not be shared other than the Calendar events and that's not done
via "sharing".

You don't state the application that is sharing the common file on the server,
but I assume some accounting system installed on multiple client systems are attempting
concurrent access to the same accounting data.

You don't say if this has ever worked before with this setup or if this is the initial install for the Sharing of the accounting data.

First action is to access that file by only one system at a time (ie: disconnect the mapped Drive letter) and get that working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sharing-folders-and-files-in-office-2010.174216/
Relevancy 32.25%

Can I install an 80mm or 120mm fan in the sugo sgo7 case? I want to put an extra fan on the side of a sugo mini itx case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-fan-in-sugo-sgo7.171881/
Relevancy 21.07%

I'm looking for a little 10-inch laptop for schoolwork and browsing, not gaming or anything intense like that.
Looking for what recommended minimum specs I should be on the lookout for.

I'm considering this little Samsung 10.1" Netbook featuring Intel Atom N455 Processor (N145)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...l-atom-n455-processor-n145-n145/10161401.aspx

My local pc folks are selling it for $400 CAD tax included, including $73 upgrade from 1G ram to 4G.
Good price?

I'd rather buy from a local store than purchase online, if not for reliability of purchase and continued support options.

A:Recommended specs for a word processing notebook?

What is the ratio between Canada and US when it comes to money? According to that link the system is on sale until 8/11 for $219.00.

The biggest issues for me would be that the Best Buy offer only has a) Windows 7 Starter installed; not even Home Premium, b) no need for 4 gigs if the operating system is only 32-bit because only a 64-bit OS will utilize 4 gigs and more RAM, c) the Intel Atom is slow.

So, IMO, it isn't worth $400 locally as is and again no need for 4 gigs if the OS is 32-bit. Shop around more and search for a Lenovo x120e system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recommended-specs-for-a-word-processing-notebook.169065/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hey guys I recently got an idea of adding a new Adding extra fans one or two fan to the side of my case for extra cooling as I Adding extra one or two fans might as Adding extra one or two fans well take the advantage of wasted space Now my question is shall I make it exhaust or intake I already got a intake fan at the front of my case and obviously exhaust at the back but no idea what I should do with the side Infact shall I add extra one to the side Would it fit nicely without disturbing the overall airflow in the case Here are pictures of my case side front and the side panel door Yes the cable management is TERRIBLE My Plan Good ol power tools I will be drilling holes in the side of my case so that the fan can fit I know its really odd way to do it i guess but sounds like fun and I might as well try it nothing to loose apart from some holes on the side hehe Or could just get bunch of fan filters grills xD Here is what it could look like http imageshack us m casemodplan jpg Side Panel Door http img imageshack us img imgp jpg http imageshack us m imgp o jpg Side http imageshack us m imgp k jpg http imageshack us m imgp r jpg http imageshack us m imgp u jpg Front http imageshack us m imgp i jpg Slideshow Here are my specs fyi MOBO M N SE CASE Antec something P its around years old CPU AMD II X BE Ghz OC Ghz stock GPU GTX GB PSU OCZ Stealth Xstream II W Front Intake Fan mm Blue LED Fan Exhaust Fan Thermaltake TT- mm afaik Temperatures http imageshack us m tempsi jpg Also what fan shall I buy Don t really care about noise but more of performance ratio Was thinking of either mm Blue LED fan or another mm Blue LED that I already have for intake at the front Not sure if the Thermaltake TT- is more powerful then the mm BLUE LED really wanna find a good fan blue glow that is around - range Any Ideas wave PS My cable management is absolutely terrible but did best I can lol was my st time building a PC so yeh kinda sucked Need to do some cleaning alot of dust just sitting there No idea what my case brand is looks like old Antec P got it from my uncle heh Yes front panel is missing hehe More air lol Thanks in advance all help much appreciated nbsp

A:Adding extra one or two fans

I would make the fan on the side an intake. That way it will push cool outside air over your video card and motherboard, as opposed to pulling air away from them.

As for what fan, I have never used LED fans, but if you decide not to go for LED's Scythe Slipstreams and Noctua fans are great regarding noise/performance ratio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-extra-one-or-two-fans.165430/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi, firstly I have a working knowledge of home computers and have been asked to sort out our computers in the office.

At the moment we have 3 desktops and two laptops running off of a server. The problem is the server keeps crashing and we can't access any emails or the shared drive we all use to store company information. We are getting fed up with the IT company we contract to sort out our computer needs. I was wondering if we even need a network server - would it be reasonable in the short term to just have a networked hard drive or two that we can all access. Could someone explain to me in simple terms what the benefit of a server is ?
I will say this is a new company and our IT needs may increase rapidly in the near future.

Thanks

A:Advice for our office network

A server is just another system, specially configured, to run Services and store common data.

A WEB server (aka google.com) has an HTTP Service running on port 80
and a backend process that find user search keywords in a database and returns an HTML output of those URLs.

A common 'Server' for business is the Windows Server {2000, 2003, and now 2008).

The Windows Server(WS) can be configured to provide

1. a local DNS Service

2. a local DHCP service

3. an LDAP (or Active Directory Service)

4. and frequently an Exchange Server (for email)

Services 1+2 then control your company hardware network and service lookups.

Shared data is usually kept on the WS and accessed as Shared Directories.

The brute-force simple network just uses a system to contain the Shared Directories

and everyone just does his/her own thing (ie no domain.name and no email server {which doesn't look good or show much professionalism} ).

If Joe Doe jr, IT-Guy can't give you a stable WS, get another. This time ensure that
you get refunds of the monthly service fee for every hour of down time (if they balk at this, select another - - they're not too professional either).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-for-our-office-network.164408/
Relevancy 32.25%

GIGABYTE MOBO question? + P4 3.OGHZ

Hi i just started up my comp for 1st time in a good while!
itsa gigabyte mobo,Ati graphics car,WD hardrive 40gb and HP 40gb hardrive,Philips DVD/RW CD DRIVE + old hp cd drive,not pluged in at the mo,would that cause any problems??

I bought a 512mb samsung to go with my other 512mb PQI ram to speed up windows 7.all i have is 2 slots on my mobo,i think the new ram is working!its runing a little bit quicker than usual,does any1 know how i check this?i have tried to get into BIOS,but when i press DEL at startup the screen just goes blank on me!

ALL help Apreciated lads,dieng to find out how to check my new part out

A:How do I check if extra RAM is working?

download this here utility and see if its being recognized under the 'memory' tab.
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.56-setup-en.exe

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-check-if-extra-ram-is-working.160324/
Relevancy 22.36%

My home network consists of a 3com office connect and 2 PC connecting to it through wireless. In the 3com config, i can see the Internet IP address is 203.223.210.232 but i am not able to ping it from my office network.
The router actually connects to the socket provided by my building, so i havent really subscribed to any ISP. I don't know if this IP is real and can be accessible from outside. Or the issue is that the router just doens't repsond to my ping. Any suggestions? Thanks!

A:Cannot ping my 3com router from office

it looks like a external ip but it still could be internal only.
you buildings network could have ping or icmp disabled or disallowed..
i would assume that there is a router/ switch which distributes network access to everybody, managed by the building.

did you try an nslookup?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-ping-my-3com-router-from-office.159981/
Relevancy 25.8%

That pretty much (64-bit) flickers/disappears 7 on pointer XP mouse apps/games Win says it The app game can run quite well but drives me insane trying to use the pointer to click on hotspots Sometimes the pointer is only visible when it rolls over a hotpiont and lights it up Otherwise the application runs quite well Examples this week are CIV COLONIZATION but not CIV IV GUILD WARS prob the worst Earlier games like AGE OF WONDERS seem Win 7 (64-bit) mouse pointer flickers/disappears on XP apps/games to work fine I do see this mostly in games The other issue I have a lot is that I Win 7 (64-bit) mouse pointer flickers/disappears on XP apps/games can install and run a game from the CD DVD but then the game will not play as it cannot see the disk it just booted from and claims it is not in the DVD drive What is causing these and can anything be done I have tried all the usual compatibility fixes I have even run them on a VMPlayer XP emulator with no success It reminds me of the issues with DOOM TRILOGY on WIN XP That Win 7 (64-bit) mouse pointer flickers/disappears on XP apps/games was dos driver issue for the mouse However this problem occured right out of the box before and after updates installed Win Home Premium -bit updated to current Gateway SX- Core i CPU GHz Gateway dual-core CLARKDALE Gb DDR RAM GRAPHICS EQUIVALENT MB ATI Radeon HD XT or better MB NVIDIA GeForce GS or better or Core i or better integrated graphics it uses the integrated graphics chip i Systems Requirements Labs says these should run on it nbsp

A:Win 7 (64-bit) mouse pointer flickers/disappears on XP apps/games

Have you tried another mouse? Is the mouse wired or wireless?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-7-64-bit-mouse-pointer-flickers-disappears-on-xp-apps-games.158996/
Relevancy 22.36%

So I got a slingbox for Christmas and I need more ports.

I currently have 5 computers, a printer, Apple time capsule w/wi-fi AP, and a vonage box connected to a Netgear 8-port FVS318 connected to another Vonage box which is in turn connetced to my dsl modem.

So I'm looking to move to a 16 port router with some type of QoS support that I can prioritize the traffic from the vonage boxes so they don't cut out when I'm on the phone & transferring files or using my sling box.

I have been browsing around and I found Netgears FS116E but I'm not quite sure if this would be a good fit or quite how it would best fit into my network since it is a switch.

I have also been told I should look at a gigabit router.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,
Jason

A:Upgrading home office network - need suggestions

Do you really need a 16 port router?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-home-office-network-need-suggestions.158837/
Relevancy 22.36%

I already have laptops, pocket PCs, mobile phones, and tablet PCs

A:What devices can you use for mobile computing in the office?

Need to describe What you NEED to do vs what you would like to do.

Have you ask the I.T. department about company standards/policies?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-devices-can-you-use-for-mobile-computing-in-the-office.157797/
Relevancy 22.79%

Using Apps 1 OS to from Disk Question on & Disk 0 cloning Vista x Plan on using True Image to clone OS amp Applications partitions C D from Disk to Disk Of course before booting to the new cloned OS have to set it active amp old one hidden Windows will assign C to new active boot partition Not sure about others Question is about the drive letters of the other several partitions on BOTH HDDs Maybe my Question on cloning OS & Apps from Disk 0 to Disk 1 questions should be about switching HDD cables or changing BIOS settings Right now on disk have C thru L On disk have partitions M - P Some all of those could be moved to disk at some point during whole process Don t have to move all those partitions amp data from disk to disk amp not too concerned about the assigned drive letters of any except the OS amp Applications After creating blank formatted partitions in front of M if also cloned D amp maybe E F from disk to how would Vista treat the cloned drive letters on disk amp others already on disk - M thru P Since current disk will become booting disk is there any reason or necessary to switch disks amp HDD cables on mobo Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-on-cloning-os-apps-from-disk-0-to-disk-1.157665/
Relevancy 32.68%

so im thinking either a AMD Phenom II X2 560 or a AMD Phenom II X3 715

AMD Phenom II X2 560
-$100
-3.3 GHz
-L2 cache 2 x 512 kb
-hyper transports 4000MHz
-manufacturing tech 45 nm
-2 Cores Callisto
560 has L1,L2,L3 caches

AMD Phenom II X3 715
-$80
-2.8 GHz
-L2 cache 3 x 512
- 4000MHz
-45 nm
-3 cores Heka
715 is L2,L3 caches

I can give more info if needed

A:1 extra core or a little bit more ghz

for a little more you can get an x6. I did and it was a smart move.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1-extra-core-or-a-little-bit-more-ghz.156962/
Relevancy 31.82%

Alright, so my dad's Dell D620 just died and he needs a new laptop. I had an idea to make the old laptop into a second monitor that can be easily carried around and can be used with his laptop when he's at work.

According to Dell, the laptop's mobo is dead, and we aren't spend $700 on a refurbed mobo when we can buy a brand spanking new laptop at that price.

So my question is, does anyone know how to convert this old laptop into a standalone monitor?

A:How to make old laptop into extra monitor

See this article:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/183052/turn_a_spare_laptop_into_a_second_monitor.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-make-old-laptop-into-extra-monitor.155129/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a router that has the feature of limiting bandwidth on the hosts on my network.

I live with a few roommates and they are always downloading, taking up all the bandwidth we get out of our ISP's monthly allowance. We always go over, and we all end up paying heavy fees.

Anyone know of good routers that have a feature that enables, say, "20 GB monthly for IP 192.168.x.x" or something like that? I know of routers that have QoS features that limit the download SPEED, but that really doesn't help my issue.

My router is TP-Link, so enough said lol. There's no features really to control this sort of scenario. I know D-Links are pretty good for controlling bandwidth and limitations.

Any ideas?

Best regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seeking-a-router-that-features-download-bandwidth-limitations.152846/
Relevancy 31.39%

how would I go about doing this? I would like an extra one or even two if possible. has anyone done this?

A:Mounting extra front panel fans to a CM Scout?

If you think the thing is overheating, check that there is enough air getting in as well as being drawn out. If you have all the fans extracting air there may not be enough natural inflow to work and the fans will cavitate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation - it happens in air as well as other mediums/media) - and the same rule applies if all the fans are blowing inwards.
Clean any filters and dust off the fans - a clean paintbrush is an excellent tool.
If you want extra fans because of ambient temperature, be careful what you buy as they can be very noisy.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mounting-extra-front-panel-fans-to-a-cm-scout.151394/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi, I recent came across another monitor, and I'm trying to use it as a dual display monitor (the kind where you can drag things across both monitors, etc). My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 240 and it has a VGA port and DVI port. I bought a DVI to AGP plug (DVI male, AGP female) since the other monitor has a AGP male plug. However, when I plug it in it isn't detected, nor is it detected when I plug it into the motherboard AGP port. Both monitors work when I use them with the AGP port on my graphics card. Also, in device manager, if they are both plugged in, they both show up.

Any suggestions?

A:Extra Monitor not being detected, may have something to do with AGP/DVI plug

I think you mean D-Sub, not AGP. AGP is a type of graphics card slot on the motherboard. On the chance that the adapter is bad, try another brand. They are relatively inexpensive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-monitor-not-being-detected-may-have-something-to-do-with-agp-dvi-plug.146768/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello I am moving my small business into a new office in a few days and could do with some advice on configuring the network There are Router, - Office Network Small Modem, Switch RJ connections in every room which is cool these all feed into a -port patch panel which the last guys left behind Every PC on the network needs to be able to access the internet our storage server and other network attached devices such as printers and faxes Q If our modem goes into a router and the router goes Small Office Network - Modem, Router, Switch into a switch box and all PCs and other devices including the storage server are patched into the switch box will Small Office Network - Modem, Router, Switch this work We will be using one dedicated IP and I believe that if the modem goes straight into the switch box each PC will unsuccessfully compete for that same IP So does Small Office Network - Modem, Router, Switch going through a router alleviate this Q Do patch panels have speed limitations Despite being entirely passive is it possible that the patch panel might only be Mbit I haven t bought the switch box yet so would like to know if there s any point going for Gbit over Mbit Couldn t see a model number on it unfortunately Thanks in advance Will nbsp

A:Small Office Network - Modem, Router, Switch

edanfalls said:

Hello,

I am moving my small business into a new office in a few days and could do with some advice on configuring the network.

There are RJ45 connections in every room which is cool, these all feed into a 48-port patch panel which the last guys left behind.

Every PC on the network needs to be able to access the internet, our storage server and other network attached devices such as printers and faxes.

Q1). If our modem goes into a router, and the router goes into a switch box, and all PCs and other devices including the storage server are patched into the switch box, will this work? We will be using one dedicated IP, and I believe that if the modem goes straight into the switch box, each PC will unsuccessfully compete for that same IP. So does going through a router alleviate this?Click to expand...

you are correct on both points. the issue is where does the DHCP service originate {the router or a Domain Controller[*]}?

Q2). Do patch panels have speed limitations? Despite being entirely passive, is it possible that the patch panel might only be 100Mbit? I haven't bought the switch box yet, so would like to know if there's any point going for 1Gbit over 100Mbit. Couldn't see a model number on it unfortunately.Click to expand...

No, the panel is entirely passive and therefore invisible to the network. Active components, eg routers & switches could be factors.
You are at that point of an investment and cudos to you for asking before diving in :wave:

This is the time to create a Gigabyte backbone and use 100mb client access to it (not GBit). This will ensure the whole network gets good service an not single client can dominate it. The sole exception I would make is to use a GB nic in every server system attached.

[*] Instead of using the router to provide DHCP, a better choice is the Domain Controller server (provided you use one ). You can then configure static addresses from one location and set the DHCP range in the same place. DHCP and DNS typically are from the same server, while Exchange and Active Directory are elsewhere.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/small-office-network-modem-router-switch.146650/
Relevancy 33.11%

Wht are the main features of acer Aspire One

A:What are the main features of Acer Aspire One?

Try Google for help with this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-are-the-main-features-of-acer-aspire-one.144592/
Relevancy 26.23%

I've got a iPod Touch 16 GB and want to fill out the memory a little with some game apps I can play during sitting in the bus.

I'm searching for a good racing game and it would be okay to pay if it's worth it - but their so many to choose between. Any tips of good racing game apps ( with many maps, choose car...) ?

Which free game app is your favorite? My favorite free game right now would be "Rat on run" by Donuts Games.

I wasn't sure if I chose the right forum for this question.

A:Looking for good iPod Touch game apps

60 views but no answer...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-good-ipod-touch-game-apps.137972/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello I m in the process of searching for a new PC notebook I m in the market for a to inch display and I ve come across a couple laptops that mention having an quot extra-wide quot display or a quot -degree ultra-wide viewing angle quot and things to that effect I wanted to ask some questions about this Does this extra-wide display entail a better picture or resolution or something like that or is it just wider Will an extra-wide display like this make widescreen bars the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when watching a movie more likely Will the wider display cause these bars to be bigger or appear more often on movies or games or anything else where they wouldn t have on a regular width display My computer will have a - inch display it will be p and will be Need notebook help "extra-wide" displays with PC Blu-ray enabled I m very concerned with getting the best picture possible so I d like to know if the extra-wide display will contribute to that but I m also heavily Need help with "extra-wide" PC notebook displays annoyed by widescreen bars at the top and bottom of my movies and whatnot so if the primary effect of the extra-wide display is simply a wider screen that will have more bars more often then I d like to know that Any help here is greatly appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Need help with "extra-wide" PC notebook displays

It really depends as much on the graphics card as the screen itself, and there is no reliable way to know. You have to see it setup and play with the display settings.
However, If you select a true high end laptop should be fine. Others will make the images look stretched, but user quickly get used to it. One would think that 1080p would be a guarantee of good screen performance, but it is not.
If you are getting a computer that is in the upper third of its price and model range, you usually get the good screen combination in my experience... HP, Dell, Sony, and Lenovo anyway. You will have to avoid budget laptops.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-extra-wide-pc-notebook-displays.137531/
Relevancy 18.06%

I am new to Exchange Server 2003 and I have a friend with a network server that I don't know how to re-establish a user to the network. I moved one of his non used computers to this station and now when I try to log in the user I get the error that the name can't be verified because Outlook is not connected or online. This computer used to be online with a different user. Can anyone tell me the steps to check this? Thanks.

A:Outlook not connected in Microsoft Exchange Server

You would benefit from the server handbook or an outlook manual... too much to explain here in usable terms, methinks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-not-connected-in-microsoft-exchange-server.137647/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi guys!

A family friend has requested me to build 3 PCs for his office. His budget is really low. I need a processor, motherboard, RAM, HDD for within Rs. 10,000.

I was considering a build with the Athlon II X2 240. However, I will need a cheap motherboard that supports this processor out of the box as I do not have an older AMD processor to be able to update the BIOS.

Else I'll go with an Intel E5200 build.

You could suggest some stuff from this website: http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=87&category_slug=desktop-hardware

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:Cheap Office Build

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H Motherboard looks promising

at frys its 99

69 with a rebate

thats the cheapest i can find

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cheap-office-build.136843/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hey everyone,
I have a keyboard (Razer Tarantula) that plugs in via USB. The primary problem I have is that during boot up, my computer does not recognize the keyboard. I believe this is because it plugs in via USB (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case, in order for my computer to recognize it, I think I would need to buy an adapter so that I can plug it into the traditional keyboard socket (I forget what it's called).

If I buy/use an adapter, will that have any effect on the functionality of the extra/programmable keys.

Thanks for any insight!

A:Question about USB keyboards with multiple extra key functions

Do you mean your computer doesn't recognize USB until the Windows is running?

If that's the case, then you need to check your BIOS settings. There should be an option to enable USB Legacy Support. This tells your BIOS to support USB until Windows starts.

Now you have the chicken/egg situation as you need to get to the BIOS to change the setting! So either buy an adapter (still useful to have for a couple bucks) or borrow a non-USB keyboard so you can change the setting

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-usb-keyboards-with-multiple-extra-key-functions.136624/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hey.
I have a new board that has 6 slots (4 ddr2) (2 ddr3) i've got 2 x 1gb in 2 of the slots. when i put another 2 x 1gb in the other 2 slots it wont boot.
PC switches on for about to secs then switches off.

I've also a 512mb graphics card, 3 hdds, and 2 drives. PSU 400watt.

Would it be that the psu is not powerful enough?
I've heard XP has a limit of 4gb but it wont work with 3gb either. All Ram is of the same make and speed. (1GB Corsair Dominator DDR2)

If anybody can help I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

A:PC wont POST with extra RAM

It would be helpful if you could provide us with your exact system specs including manufacturer name and product details.

Also try using the RAM in pairs and check if the new pair you just put work by themselves.

Your PSU might be a little weak depending on your system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-wont-post-with-extra-ram.135157/
Relevancy 17.63%

A user has been using her laptop for several years and uses Outlook for her POP3 email.
When we installed a server and joined her laptop to the domain she was unable to see her email without logging out of the server and logging back into her local account.
How do I let her domain profile be the same as her local profile?

A:User loses access to outlook email after being joined to domain

You can't, it's considered as a different user. Just take the settings from Outlook and import them into the other account name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-loses-access-to-outlook-email-after-being-joined-to-domain.134427/
Relevancy 32.68%

OK, my subject line might sound cryptic! Here is my set up: first router (main) is connected to the cable modem and provides std addresses as 192.168.1.2 (base is 192.168.1.1) etc. I have a second router (same brand) as a gateway connected to my main. This second router base address is 10.10.10.1 and all that are connected to this one have manually provided IP addresses (such as 10.10.0.2, etc). The main one provides WIFI access as for the second one do not.

Now my question: from my laptop who uses the WIFI network, how can I reach or connect to the other network (the one that is managed with the router with the 10.10.10.1 address? The purpose? I would like to access the computer connected to it as if they were part of the WIFIed network. And be able to access the router management page. Any clue?

A:Cascading routers - how to access admin features from one to the other?

first some basics;

examine the router (the box itself). everything attached to a LAN slot will default to
routing upwards using the WAN slot -- that's a big clue as to what the routing tables looks like.

second; to manage the configuration of a specific router:
a) WIRE a system directly to it
b) login to the router config page using the current router's ip-address

if your network is
modem---router#1----router#2---router#3

then a system attached to routerX will route upward to router(X-1) and NOT downward to router(X+1)

if you wish to have ALL systems (wired and wireless) see and share with each other, then you have too many distinct address.
Leave router#1 as is. disconnect router#2 from #1 and wire router#1 to a LAN port on router#2, leaving its WAN port empty. Log into router#2 and disable DHCP.

Now do the same for the wire from #2-->#3 and disable#3 DHCP.

All systems (wired or WiFi) will get ip-assignments from router#1 and will be able to
ping and share files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cascading-routers-how-to-access-admin-features-from-one-to-the-other.130510/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi I m running an Asus p k motherboard with nv geforce desktop whenever i run any ram intensive mostly video games team fortress WoW Left Dead etc etc my computer crashes Most of the time my computer completely shuts down as soon as i launch the games In running apps Comp ram intensive crashes when are reponse to that i ve tried scanning the hard drive cleaning out all the dust within the tower with canned air and many other things until i tried lowerng running the games while Comp crashes when ram intensive apps are running windows is on powersaving mode While running on max power saving mode on the AI suite by asus comp doesn t crash when the games start up but crashes awhile after say min I m wondering what wrong with my tower and how much am i looking at in order to fix it What the little knowledge in hardwares for PC i m guessing somethings wrong with the power supply can anyone helps Edit Another guess of mine is that electricity isn t being supplied throughout the tower evenly Much Thanks Derrick nbsp

A:Comp crashes when ram intensive apps are running

Replace the power supply first... Don't go too cheap

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comp-crashes-when-ram-intensive-apps-are-running.129491/
Relevancy 31.39%

My parents have a dell dimension 2400 and its horribly slow but my mom refuses to get a new computer. So would adding extra ram help out a bit? If so how much would be needed? Take in mind they mostly just surf the internet.

Specs:
cpu: intel celeron northwood- 128
motherboard: intel og1548
memory: 256mb of ddr 333mhz pc 2700
graphics:intel 82845g/gl/gv

It looks like it takes 184 pin memory.

A:Would extra RAM speed up my parents Dimension 2400?

Um, Well Yeah.......

Well yes, 256MB is barely enough to launch Windows XP. 1GB is a good amount to shoot for. Most BIOSes are set to take at least that amount, sort of the "minumum maximum" for a desktop, so that should be plug and play.

The memory you describe IS DDR 184 pin. PC3200. 400Mhz should work in that machine, it won't run @400Mhz but I think it's becoming a bit easier to find.

Firefox in my machine (ATM) is using about 250MB of RAM by itself, although I do have 40 tabs open. I've seen it hit 700+ MB! Perhaps I may surf a bit harder than your parents do.

Link to this page for a bit more specs on your board; https://www.usereasy.com/product_10576.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/would-extra-ram-speed-up-my-parents-dimension-2400.126186/
Relevancy 18.06%

My smartphone used to sync with the office Exchange Server, but I now want to sync my Outlook contacts with my home PC using standalone Outlook 2003. My PC runs XP SP2 and ActiveSync 4.5. Smartphone is Windows Mobile 6 Standard.

It looks as if I cannot sync Exchage Server contacts to standalone Outlook - if I try to switch to synching with Outlook it tells me the contacts on my phone will be deleted. Is there a safe way of diong this? I would rather retype all my contacts from the phone screen than risk losing them - I can no longer access my former office's Exchange Server.

Thanks for any help - Firepig

A:ActiveSync, Outlook and Exchange Server

Try updating XP to SP3 and check for other Microsoft Updates too, while you are at it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/activesync-outlook-and-exchange-server.124634/
Relevancy 22.36%

What are you going to use the work Build office Cheap Comp - PC Comp Build - Cheap office work for - Browsing and office work MS or If possible also Comp Build - Cheap office work run Battlefield and Age of Empires How much is your budget - Lets say below sterling but the cheaper the better Where are you located aka fill out your profile - England Are you willing to buy online - Yes Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build - Nvidia GeForce graphics card a DVD reader and DVD re-writer i ll provde specs if needed monitor gb ram DDR Do you need other peripherals like a monitor keyboard and mouse among others - nope Have you already bought any parts - nope I have posted my previous problems in some other threads I wont go into it but I would like to know if it was feasile to save the new HD I bought This is supposed to be a completely new build so case is also needed nbsp

A:Comp Build - Cheap office work

Is the 6800 PCI-Express?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comp-build-cheap-office-work.124104/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have received several floppies from a customer of mine who would very much appreciate anything I can file processor recoverable? Word do to recover the files off of them They contain parts of a book he was writing on an old word processor I can get Word processor file recoverable? more details on the specific processor he used if needed Upon inserting the disc they all obviously ask me if I would like to format the disc and reads no data Word processor file recoverable? on them I am wondering if there are any Word processor file recoverable? programs availiable to read the data or if I should possibly install windows onto one of my older towers I have stored away see if they will read the info Here is a link to an earlier thread reguarding this similar topic and realblackstuff speaks of a program called smartdisk that reads over different types of files Anyone know about this at all Here is the link to the topic here in techspot http www techspot com vb all wind -old-Floppy-discs-used-by-Word-Processor html I followed the whole thread but came up empty My only lead seems to be the smartdisk program mentioned but I cannot seem to find it Basically any alternative method would be greatly appreciated to get this data off the discs somehow nbsp

A:Word processor file recoverable?

Look I'm not trying to spam or anything but try the TRIAL of http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/
If this doesn't help on your floppy recovery then they may be toast

If it does work (but obviously you cannot recover under trial) then we'll try to source some free alternatives

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/word-processor-file-recoverable.123584/
Relevancy 17.63%

When composing an e-mail in Outlook 2007 (Vista), the typing never wraps round to the next line; it types as one continuous line from left to right. What do you do to change this back to multi-line?

Thanks for you help.

Compused

A:Outlook 2007 (Vista) email page layout

Which format are you using to compose the message? (HTML, Rich Text, or Plain Text?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-2007-vista-email-page-layout.122456/
Relevancy 33.97%

Please guide me tot the necessary features for an LCD monitor.
As the prices have come down i am planning to go for 22" screen.

So wots DVI, Contrast Ratio, Response Time (ms)?
Is 2000:1 contrast ratio good enough?

And wots the minimum requirement of the above three for best performance.

I use photoshop, flash, premier pro, and some small tools for graphics.
I do video editing, titles making, ofcourse not heavy graphics like autodesk.

Thanks.

A:What features must an LCD have? Planning to buy a new LCD

Reliability is number one...
Color accuracy
Ability to view at angles from left side and right side, so you can show others images they need.
Good contrast.
The ability to handle screen resolutions and aspect ratios of various sizes:
Resolutions with a 4:3 aspect ratio:
800 x 600
1024 x 768
1152 x 864
1600 x 1200

Resolutions with a 5:4 aspect ratio:
1280 x 1024
1600 x 1280

and a screen width, corner to corner, of 22 inches or more.

Sony (if you can afford them)
Samsung
Sharp
HP
Dell (which are usuall Samsung
Panasonic
Phillips
LG
Of the ones my clients have used, LG has been the best of the low priced ones.

Avoid Acer, Envision, ViewSonic, anything cheap.

Try to avoid buying online, as damage is done in shipment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-features-must-an-lcd-have-planning-to-buy-a-new-lcd.121919/
Relevancy 32.25%

My situation bought a GB SATA WD WD AAKS to install on my home built machine Mochspeed PT AS with a gig of ram and Windows XP Pro I also have EIDE HDDs as storage HDD SATA extra one of which crashed and lost its FAT that I want to pull all the data off of and I have EIDE disk drives I physically installed the drive no jumpers just power and data cable to the built in SATA port on the mobo SATA HDD as extra storage My mobo bios options are set to look for SATA before SATA HDD as extra storage SCSI but my bios doesn t recognize the drive no matter what driver I try from my Mobo or any other manufacturer I still SATA HDD as extra storage get the yellow in the device manager By pure dumb luck I did get the drive to work one time enough to use WD s lifeguard program to recognize the drive partition and format it After that my drives don t show up in my computer still the yellow in device manager still not recognized by the bios and running out of drivers to try Suggestions nbsp

A:SATA HDD as extra storage

Right-click on My Computer, select Manage, Disk Management. Find your SATA drive in the list, right-click and select FORMAT

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-hdd-as-extra-storage.88052/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi there,

Can someone help me with this. I've almost decided on these parts and I think they would be suitable for a basic office and internet pc(i've had a bit of a look and can't see why they wouldn't be). I would just like a second opinion. I already have the screen, a keyboard and mouse. just need the actual system. All the prices are from pcmaniacs.com.au

Vantec ION2+ Ultra Quiet 450w SLI PSU 135mm Fan $55.00
Corsair Value Select PC5300 (667) 2048Mb/2Gb Module $55.00
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6Ghz AM2 Dual Core Retail Box $89.00
Coolermaster Elite 341 mATX $49.00
Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2 AM2 $89.00
Samsung HD161HJ 160Gb 8Mb SATA II $69.00
Microsoft Windows XP Home OEM $135.00

$541.00
+ $45 postage.
Total $586

Going for xp home as i'm on a very tight budget and each dollar counts. Hence the cheap parts and small hdd.

thanks in advance. Any comments would be appreciated.

A:Basic PC for office work, will this be good enough?

Yes, it will be fine.
But there are much larger hard drives available for less money. Look at Directron.com, ZipzoomFly.com, and NewEgg.com
Consider a Seagate first, or a Western Digital over the Samsung if the price is close enough.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/basic-pc-for-office-work-will-this-be-good-enough.120204/
Relevancy 21.93%

when i try to change the font in excel or word it freezes and then crashes. but it doesn't do this with power point or one note. i have reinstalled it, deleted the normal.dot thing but nothing seems to work. and yes i have done the Microsoft diagnostics but it says that it should be working fine. so it would be nice if some 1 knew why this happens and how to fix it

A:Microsoft Word 07 freezes

any 1? come on there must be some 1 that has had this happen to them and know a fix for this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-word-07-freezes.119814/
Relevancy 18.06%

I hope I'm putting this in the right place and I know it's probably I really simplistic question, but here it is:

I have Comcast Cable internet via modem that connects to my DLink 4500 gaming router. I have a PC(wired) , Laptop (wireless), another PC(wired), and XBox360(wireless) all connected to the Cable internet and home network.

I was thinking about changing my Comcast mail to Outlook express -- is this a good Idea? Can it be done? If so how do I do it? If I do it will all my mail accounts go through Outlook or can I just do mine and not my son's and husband's? Sorry again if this is not the place, but I figured you're used to newbies not knowing where to post. Thanks

A:Comcast Mail to Outlook Express

Your Comcast email is known as a Webmail solution, while Outlook, Outlook Express
are Pop3 Email Clients.

All you need is to configure your Email Client to access the Postoffice @ Comcast;
you will actually still be able to use BOTH

The Comcast settings are here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comcast-mail-to-outlook-express.118139/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have a very strange problem that I have not been able to correct...I have an office network with 3 computers. We can access every internet site with no problem except the company website. This problem also continues into our outlook. We cannot use outlook to check our work email which also uses the same domain as the company website. From computers outside of the office we can access our website and webmail fine.

Anyone have any ideas what would be causing this problem only on the three computers in my office?

A:Office Network Problem

with three systems having the same problem, suspect the gateway router and/or the server firewall itself

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/office-network-problem.117983/
Relevancy 31.82%

I really want to buy the best deal possible for an extra hard drive for my computer. My MB is an Asus A7V8X-X and right now, I have an 80 gig ultra-ATA Maxtor hard drive. There are several great deals on SATA drives, but I don't think my MB supports SATA--but could I add a PCI card with SATA connections and have it work that way? Or use some kind of adapter? What is my best option?

A:How to choose an extra hard drive for my MB

A second IDE is the easiest thing to do with that board. Your Maxtor is probably DMA6, so it is plenty fast.

But, yes, a card to add SATA (and more IDE drives) can be added easily and allow you to use SATA. I have an extra 500 GB SATA on an A7V8X just because the price was irresistable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-choose-an-extra-hard-drive-for-my-mb.116528/
Relevancy 18.06%

Every time I compose a new message in Outlook Express and use MIDI music as a background the SW SYNTH in audio gets knocked back to zero. This only happens in OLEXP, toherwise MIDI's play OK.
Running Windows XP Pro SP3 OLEXP 6.0

A:Outlook express affects audio control

What is your computer? Make and model?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-express-affects-audio-control.114792/
Relevancy 18.06%

Help! How can I share Outlook 2007 Calendar on 3 networked computers running vista home premium? Don't wanna spend 700 bucks for Exchange Server. Can it be done?

A:Share Outlook Calendar

For workgroup users (ie those without a domain controller), it is done by sharing
each appointment;

create or open an appointment
click the Attendee Availability tab
at the lower left, click Invite Others
enter the name of the Contact and click find
when selected, click Required or Optional
repeat for all attendees
when done, click OK
as each Contact receives the appointment by email, they accept or decline the schedule
their calendar and yours are updated
and the status of all can be seen using the radio button Show Attendee Status

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/share-outlook-calendar.112199/
Relevancy 31.82%

The title pretty much sums it up. By every means that I know of my computer doesnt know that I added extra ram. I'm sure that it's the right type, and I didn't have any problems when booting up. So... now what?
Thanks

A:I just installed an extra gig of ram but don't think my comp registered it

few more details... what mobo do u have?

did u go from 1X1gig to 1X2gig?
did u go from 2X512 to 2X1gig?

give us a touch more info!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-just-installed-an-extra-gig-of-ram-but-dont-think-my-comp-registered-it.112021/
Relevancy 18.06%

Lots of valuable information in that file I'd like to access. I was able to create a new Outlook file in safe mode so I guess the program is OK.

It was suggested to me recently the cause may have been due to me having Microsoft Service Pack 1 at the time. I had not updated to Service Pak 2 (which I now believe has been updated to Service Pak 3). Has anyone had experience with this and, if so, do you think there's a chance that if I update my Service Pak that I might still have a chance of recovering the data I had in my original Outlook file?

A:Still unable to open Microsoft Outlook

I dont think just upgrading to service pack 3 would do any good.

May be you need some more luck there.

Hope you get the help you need

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/still-unable-to-open-microsoft-outlook.110662/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hey I am helping a family member setup a network and need help.

the setup is as follows

Store "A"
Store "B"
"Main office"

He wants to let Store A & B use the main sale software which is located in the Main Office. How can we do this, should I just setup a VPN for both stores so that they can login to the main office or would I need a back-end server. Thanks

A:Setting up branch office need professional ITs

And they are in the same building or contiguous?

I would to with the VPN... unless there are a lot of computers, meaning more than 8

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-branch-office-need-professional-its.109097/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi I have this problem we have a server running exchange server. There is 3 computers connected to the server running outlook. On 1 of the computers all of the emails have been deleted how can i restore the emails back onto this computer the other 2 computers have all of the emails.

A:Outlook passed 2gb .pst file

Oh I thought you were wondering about changeing the maximum limit : http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98129

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-passed-2gb-pst-file.102976/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hey people
I have Microsoft Outlook 2007 Service Pack 1
I would like to know how I can install Polish for spell checking
I can speak Polish but can't write it

A:How do I install Polish language for spell checking in Outlook 2007 SP1?

I think installing Proofing Tools from your Office CD and then install Polish proofing tools.

More info here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061229.htm

And here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179042.aspx
And here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937156

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-install-polish-language-for-spell-checking-in-outlook-2007-sp1.102973/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have some Logitech Z-2300 speakers, and a 7.1 X-Fi Xtreme Music soundcard.

Could I get a few extra speakers to make my pc into 5.1 surrond?

I'm guessing I would need two extra sets of speakers, any advice?

CHeers,

Alex.

A:Bodging surrond sound? I have 2.1, buy a few extra 2 channel speakers?

You cannot upgrade that into 5.1 since your
built-in amplifier is designed to produce 2.1.

even "if" you have extra audio outputs for speakers
at the back of your subwoofer enclosure & add or tap
another set of speakers to that,you still get the 2.1 Ch.

if you want to add some more speakers,you also need
to add another amplifier & hook that new sets of speakers
to your new amplifier & plug it to another audio output from
your sound card (rear/front).but that is only 4.1 Ch in equivalent.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bodging-surrond-sound-i-have-2-1-buy-a-few-extra-2-channel-speakers.101739/
Relevancy 26.23%

my current system is:

AMD dual core 6400+ Processor
e-GeForce 8800 GT Video Card
4 gigs of ram
I have a MSI motherboard but I can't remember exactly what it is.

I currently have 2 moniters hooked up to this computer and plan on running a total of 20 applicatons on it. It works fine when I am running the first 10 applications but as soon as I start putting up more applications on my 2nd moniter the screen starts to flicker. The flickering gets so bad that I can't see the mouse and phantom applications appear when they arn't really there. I have tried replacing ram/video card/processor out of a computer that I know works and I can't get anything to fix this problem. If anyone knows what I might try next please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

A:Screen flickers when running multiple apps

Try playing with the resolution settings of the 8800. Why in the World would any one want to run 20 or even 10 apps at one time?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-flickers-when-running-multiple-apps.100389/
Relevancy 21.93%

i had to do a paper and its really long. i saved it as Xml as usual and it has been fine. i opened it to make some final fixes and it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><?mso-application progid="Word.Document"?>
<w:wordDocument xmlns:w="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/word/2003/wordml" xmlns:number="urnasis:names:tcpendocument:xmlns:datastyle:1.0" xmlns:w10="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice: word" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:dt="uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882" xmlns:aml="http://schemas.microsoft.com/aml/2001/core" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com: office: office"
thats only a little bit of it. please tell me how to get it back to normal!
sorry about the smiles

A:Help with word document!

Retrieve in it word, then watch the box at the bottom of the screen as you file or save it as a .doc file, then review the ?xml info.

The Document Object Model (DOM) class is an in-memory representation of an XML document. The DOM allows you to programmatically read, manipulate, and modify an XML document. The XmlReader class also reads XML, however it provides non-cached, forward-only, read-only access. This means that there are no capabilities to edit the values of an attribute or content of an element, or the ability to insert and remove nodes with the XmlReader. Editing is the primary function of the DOM. It is the common and structured way that XML data is represented in memory, although the actual XML data is stored in a linear fashion when in a file or coming in from another object.
There is plenty of useful information on xml documents and file structure in the Microsoft knowledge base, or even with a Google search.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-word-document.98873/
Relevancy 21.07%

I just acquirred a Compaq/Hp laptop model nc8230, This was bought on Ebay in the USA and posted to me in the UK. This was bought with other laptops and all was fine except this one has a bios password. I think it is one of the newer type bios security because unplugging the bios battery for hours on end doesn't get rid of the power-on bios password.

As soon as you switch it on, you get a blue box with the legend
"Embedded Password Security" with the picture of a key. You get 3 tries to get it right before you have to power down, the power-on again to have another go. There has to be a backdoor password here, but I can't guess it. I am desperated to get this machine running .

Can anybody out there help?

A:Bios Power-on Pass Word On Compaq / Hp Nc8230

COMPAQ nc8230 PSW HELP!

Hello; Sorry to bother you but i read your post in regards to the laptop you had/have with the locked bios, i was wondering if you had found the backdoor pswd for it... i am stuck with the same problem you have/had and need some help.

If you would be so kind as to tell me where you found the pswd or even provided me with it, that would be awesome. Bought the laptop on ebay from a liquidator and they have no clue as to what the pswd is.

Thanks,
-Sal

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-power-on-pass-word-on-compaq-hp-nc8230.52820/
Relevancy 19.78%

I bought a used IBM Thinkpad T20 Thinkpad Type 2647-92U from eBay for use this semester on campus. It is in great shape and has a recent edition of Windows XP but an older version of MS Office which does not boot properly.

This computer was a part of a network and keeps trying to connect to it each time Windows loads. It came with a LinkSys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter 2.4 GHz 802.11g card.

The CD is an official copy; clean and has no scratches or nicks. The DVD/CD-ROM will boot other CD's such as music CD's and DVD films and data discs with MS Word files etc on them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Yours,

Kyklopes

A:IBM Thinkpad T20 Thinkpad Type 2647-92U Won't Boot my MS Office 2005 CD

That T-20 is pretty long in the tooth. I suspect your optical drive either needs cleaning, or is worn beyond repair.
Did you try the CD in another drive as a double check?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ibm-thinkpad-t20-thinkpad-type-2647-92u-wont-boot-my-ms-office-2005-cd.96257/
Relevancy 32.68%

Okay so I Partition help Extra was jacking around on my computer under quot computer management quot specifically under quot disk management quot and I saw that I could create an extra partition from my current one So I proceeded to create an extra partition the size of GB just to make sure I didn t blow my whole drive Extra Partition help away Anyway I can use the extra partition as I should be able to but a GB partition isn t very useful at all So I want to know if I can add Extra Partition help that GB partition back to my original partition especially since I only have a GB hard drive Right now I have it basically removed with no drive letter assigned and I ve set it so it doesn t show under quot My Computer quot Also everytime I start up my computer it says it has located new hardware my extra GB partition and that it failed to properly install the drive I believe this is just because I ve removed the drive letter and hidden the drive but it s still annoying Anyway I want to know if I can re-add that GB back to my original partition and if I can t how I can get my computer to stop displaying the quot Found New Hardware quot window at start-up Thanks for the help sorry for the ber long thread nbsp

A:Extra Partition help

The "new hardware" has nothing to do with the drive you made and deleted. You must have removed something from the device manager.

As for getting the unused space with your original primary partition, it's posible, with 3rd party software. BUT, is extreamly risky. If I where you I'd just leave it as it is and use it as a 2nd partition. (even if it's small )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-partition-help.94325/
Relevancy 21.07%

I just bought a new Flash Drive, and i found a problem. I copy and paste all my files from my old usb. When i try to open the word documents that i saved, it opens and then it says That the file need converting (encoding), but after i encode it, it just come out blocky not letters. Why is this happening? When i try to open it in my other USB it works...

HELP
Thanks

A:Flash Drive - Word Documents become corrupted need encoding!

Did you remove the new USB drive properly after copying the files? Using the "safely remove hardware" feature? If you unplug the drive while copying files or somethimes even when the copy dialog has closed, you will corrupt data.

Are you using the same computer for opening the files from your old and the new USB drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-drive-word-documents-become-corrupted-need-encoding.89320/
Relevancy 30.96%

This is my first attempt at building my own pc so forgive me if this is a silly question This pc has an SCSI as the primary drive gig and I m trying to add two g drives that are edi drives I hard SCSI primary is extra won't drives (edi) PC drive recognize added a new dvd drive video card and usb card and those all work fine I tried the drives set to slave PC won't recognize extra hard drives (edi) primary is SCSI drive as well as well as cable select I even removed one of the drives so that the only connector is the edi slave connector Am I having a problem because I m trying to use an SCSI drive and the two edi drives Do I need to use one or the other in order for this to work Any help would be greatly appreciated Let me give a little more information if it helps The computer is a Dell Precision Workstation Company upgraded all their pc s and sold off the old ones for each I want to ue this as a media server for my home network It has a GB SCSI drive on it now that has my Windows XP Home Edition and a few other programs on it I was going to keep it for exactly what it does now Basic everyday pc duties I wanted to add two bigger drives for storage The mother board has an SCSI connector and two EDI connectors The secondary EDI connector is connected to the DVD drive and the CD drive Obviously I don t need both but just left the cd drive in there since it wasn t hurting anything Those both read and work fine I have the two GB storage drives connected to the primary EDI connector The ribbon cable attached to the SCSI main drive have three unused connectors and another device attached to the connector on the drive that appears to be an active connector I have no idea what the connectors do but I did a search on the web and what I have looks like a picture I saw of an active connector That may or may not be right Just trying to give as much information as I can I have also updated my profile to give as much detail as I could on this system I thought this would be a simple plug and play deal but the drives aren t being read I no PC expert by any means but I hit F when the system was booting to see if I could find the drives showing up anywhere Not sure what I as looking for but it did list the main drive durin boot up but not the others Ok now I tried to take the SCSI drive out and just go with the two EDI drives and reload WIndows XP XP went through it s set up process and when it was done the computer restarted and the two drives don t show up and I get a disc read error press ctl alt del to restart when I do that I get the same result I m at a loss on what I m doing wrong nbsp

A:PC won't recognize extra hard drives (edi) primary is SCSI drive

Hold on a minute... edi you mean IDE or eIDE don't you?

SCSI hard drives need to have terminated cables. IDE cables do not use termination. I would ditch the SCSI, but you will have to get into the bios settings and change the primary boot drive settings

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-wont-recognize-extra-hard-drives-edi-primary-is-scsi-drive.88725/
Relevancy 26.66%

Well I finally got my GT to work but now it seems I have yet another issue that I need to kill I first Card Apps? Graphics Crashing noticed this when I tried to apply a lighting effect to and image I was working on in Photoshop CS The program crashed and I got that little box that allowed my to report and error to Microsoft or whatever I figured it just to be a bug with the program seeing it was Graphics Card Crashing Apps? new I then tried to run Counter-Strike Source to get the card warmed up It ran fine for Graphics Card Crashing Apps? a couple of minutes but then the game crashed and I got another Error Report box stating that quot hl Graphics Card Crashing Apps? exe quot the game s executable encountered a problem This has never happened before so I wanted to try a different set of video drivers I downloaded ForceWare off Guru D com and installed them Afterwards I checked everything ran Disk Cleanup and tried the whole Counter-Strike thing again The game worked beautifully for a couple of hours but then crashed a second time I took the side panel off of my system and felt the card - cold as ice with my Zalman VF- cu cooler - weird Just for kicks I launched BioShock to see what would happen The menu loaded up nicely but then it crashed when I went to load up a saved game I couldn t find any crash logs or anything so I m not sure what is causing this to happen My guess would be a driver issue but the GT has a buggy reputation it seems Any ideas Help will be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Graphics Card Crashing Apps?

What capacity of memory is installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-crashing-apps.87706/
Relevancy 30.1%

Ok. I got a new 8800gts 320mb, and it requires 2 power cables to run, but i only have 1 available. so i thought i'd disconnect the lead for the extra dvd drive i have, and use that. so i just unplugged that cable, and (without inserting the new graphics card) attemped to start up the computer. it turned on, and the intel logo came up, but instead of the windows logo, the monitor went in and out of standby mode in the space of 3 seconds, and then i got a black screen with the monitor turned on, and the fans going.

so i plugged the cable back into the dvd drive, and it's working fine. what could be the problem. i dont want to try something stupid and break the new card

Thanks in advance

A:Plugged out power from extra dvd drive for graphics card. black screen on startup

It might help to list your system specifications. It sounds like your power supply is insufficient but I'm flying blind.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/plugged-out-power-from-extra-dvd-drive-for-graphics-card-black-screen-on-startup.87192/
Relevancy 32.25%

I'm really kind of a novice at putting together computers. Right now I have a Seagate HD with these specs:
Disk Drive ST380011A (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

I'd like to add a really large HD, like maybe 500 GB, but I'm not sure what kind I'd need to get to work well with my current system. Also, what would I need to do to install it in my computer? Or if I get an external drive, what will I need to do to get the new drive running properly with the old drive?

A:How do I add an extra hard drive?

If you get a nice big ata 133 drive it should work without any problems inside your pc provided you have a spare plug on the data cable, a spare power plug, and enough room to fix it in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-add-an-extra-hard-drive.85983/
Relevancy 21.07%

I am trying to help a disabled cousin who has lots of poems (700+) which were produced and saved using a Olympia Carrera Word processor.

He now has a PC but has no way of recovering many years of work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can possibly access these files. The File names do not have a specific file extension. For example a file could be called BITSANDB.OBS or MIST.

A:Data retrieval from old Floppy discs used by Word Processor

So wait, was the word processor a program on an older computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-retrieval-from-old-floppy-discs-used-by-word-processor.24428/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi up setting medical a in help a office in need small network I just started my own office and would like to set u a network in the office I have setup networks mostly wireless at home I woud like to setup a hybrid network office will have one server about desktops printer scanner and one laptop i am setting up asterix pbx need help in setting up a network in a small medical office a friend is helping with that and voip phones have to run wires across rooms would like to have wireless networking for laptop use I have zyxel mimo router and plan to extend it by adding a switch I need a basic idea about how to run wires have to run wires across - rooms my understanding is that i need one cable for each computer So if i have a printer and computer in a room-- i would need to run two cables from two ports---right also need help with which cable to use cat cat e what other equipment do I need thanks appreciate your help much christy nbsp

A:need help in setting up a network in a small medical office

Basically the rule of thumb is one cable per device. I would use cat5e for this type of setup as it will give you room for expansion as cat5e is gigabit ethernet capable (assuming growth is always good instead of re-wiring infrastructure). This is the cable most often used in fast ethernet setups (100MBps).

Also keep in mind that the maximum length you can use for the cabling is 100M or your going to run into some serious issues.

You also need to use different ethernet cable types for the devices. For Example - If you go from Router to a computer, you use straight through. If you go from router to switch, you also use a straight through. The only time you connect devices using a crossover cable, is like devices. Ex - switch to switch, router to router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-in-setting-up-a-network-in-a-small-medical-office.81112/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello again everyone I have a computer that SHOULD be running amazingly well and it does for the most part I really have NOTHING on here it is a Dell customized PC only running processes regularly Here are the specs Dell Dimension DIM Pentium CPU GhZ GB RAM Windows XP Home Edition So everything runs fine I have a wireless Linksys router which I JUST upgraded to the latest firmwire and everything brand new speakers an external MyBook GB USB Hard Drive which holds my music Everything in consistent and midi-apps... Awful noises music crackling/popping was running great but my music pops and crackles id say about every seconds I also use a Midi Controller Keyboard Keystation es by M-Audio I play the M-Tron software and it crackles louder than hell when going on a note for longer than seconds It is all in and out on and off I have no idea what could be causing it people have told me it is the CPU and the computer is struggling but it just does not make sense I am barely running anything on here my processes are all normal and everything the Linksys wireless was a hog Awful crackling/popping noises consistent in music and midi-apps... for a while but the firmwire fixed it up a lot Does anyone have any ideas or can help me Also all of the midi keyboard software is Awful crackling/popping noises consistent in music and midi-apps... detached from the external HD the external HD is JUST music so it has no connection to the popping and crackling of the M-Tron software with the keystation es Thank you for any help anyone can give nbsp

A:Awful crackling/popping noises consistent in music and midi-apps...

Update:

I have tested old speakers with the OLD audio card, which is still installed above my new Audiphile one. Old speakers work PERFECTLY, so it is NOT the CPU or PC. It is either the SPEAKERS or the AUDIOPHILE sound card. How do I find out? I have no other speakers that connect to the Audiophile card, and I have no other PC with a card that can test the speakers.

Anyone have an educated decision? A popping noise every 10 seconds or so, on and off, sometimes never happens...audiocard most likely, right? The speakers were bought brand new, M-Audio Studio Pro 3's. They seem just fine.

Any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/awful-crackling-popping-noises-consistent-in-music-and-midi-apps.78919/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi all,
I'm new here and I guess the title says it all. Every time when I do some work on ms word my pc will restart itself at random times. Just for your info, there's nothing running on the pc while I'm on ms word. By the way I'm using windows xp, intel pentium D dual core processor, 512mb ram and power supply tecom 450w. Kinda weird I know but it happens almost every time I'm on ms word and only word else it never restart like tat. Anyone can help? Thanks

A:Pc restart whenever I'm on microsoft word

tried uninstall and reinstall?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-restart-whenever-im-on-microsoft-word.75746/
Relevancy 19.35%

Which company or software are good and fast. To let me use my office computer from home. thank you.

A:Which site or software that will let me use my office computer from home computer

It would be the software that your work system administrator allows you to use.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-site-or-software-that-will-let-me-use-my-office-computer-from-home-computer.75478/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hello all,
Other than having a external hard drive, can I have 3 internal hard drive and if yes how?
Thank you for your responds.
Jon

A:Extra internal hard drive!

Yes, you can have any number of internal hard drives. All you need is a place to mount them, power and a controller to connect them to.

How? Just see if you have all of the above, buy and connect the thing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-internal-hard-drive.74499/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hey guys,

I'm wondering about buying a surge suppressor for a small office. A recent electrical storm took out at least one power supply in my dad's office, so I'm thinking we should get a surge suppressor installed. There are five desktops in the office, each consuming on average 300W, I'm assuming. There are also two laptops probably consuming at most 150W.

There is already a UPS serving most of the computers, but that doesn't hold them for very long, as it probably isn't meant to power as many computers as it is. Anyway, I wanna talk to my dad about installing a dedicated surge suppressor. What brand, or better yet, model, should we be getting? I know nothing about surge suppressors.

Regards and thanks for any replies

A:Surge suppressor/protector for small office

Tripp, and APC are both good brands, andthe thing to look for it not just surge suppressors and battery backups but ones that have AVR (Auto Voltage regulator) capabilities. brown outs and such can be just as damaging as power outs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/surge-suppressor-protector-for-small-office.73354/
Relevancy 32.25%

Recently I bought some new extra RAM
new: DDR PC3200 512Mb RAM (Corsair)
to go with my
old: DDR PC3200 512Mb RAM (Adata)
When starting up the computer, the memory check is OK (wich was not the case with some othe RAM I bought)
But when it comes to starting Windows XP, my PC shows the WinXP loading screen for a second and then starts te entire startup process al over again.

When I remove one of the memory chips this problem doesn't occur anymore.
So individually they work just fine.

Can anyone help me?

A:Extra RAM, windows won't boot...

Sounds weird. But not new, same thing happened to me. I tried running kingston with g skill, ram posted in bios, but wouldnt start up. Try making sure the timings on the ram are natively identical

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-ram-windows-wont-boot.72872/
Relevancy 18.06%

I am encountering a bizarre issue synchronizing a Motorola Q to our in-house Exchange server. Topically, everything is working as expected. The problem at hand is, at seemingly random intervals, the Outlook inbox as well as the Q Outlook inbox randomly marks all messages as read; as would be expected, this is creating havoc in matters of scheduling, &c. I have searched all of the Outlook settings, as well as all available Outlook-related options on the Q to no avail. Has anyone had any experience with these phones or any such synchronization issues? Outlook 2003 is completely updated; I am not sure about the version of the Q's firmware, but would assume, considering the phone is new, that it is probably the latest version....

Any ideas?

Regards,

Shane

A:Motorola Q- Outlook 2003 sync issue

Check with technical support for Motorola Q phone... To see if they have any issues like you have described above..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motorola-q-outlook-2003-sync-issue.71124/
Relevancy 26.66%

having a major problem with internet explorer so i switched to the much more stable firefox and now after having firefox i disabled IE and ran into a problem most of my external apps wont run (iTunes MSN messanger so on) i need to know how to make these programs run off Mozilla thanx

A:Firefox for external apps

usually ENABLE ActiveX, allow signed components works.

sometimes you need to render (while in FF) using the IE engine

otherwise, like MS UPDATE, you have a site/application that specifically
written for IE only -- drives me craz :knock:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firefox-for-external-apps.70303/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi all,

Ive got an XFX GeForce 7900GT. The graphics card has an extra 4 pin power connection on it.

My mobo is a Giga-Byte GA-965P-DS4 which beside the 24 pin main power connection has another regular 4 pin IDE power connection which is supposed to be connected to supply extra power to the PCIe x16 slot.

Is it only advised to use one or should I use both???

Damien

A:Do I need the extra power on the graphics card??

damienb, yes you should use the 4 pin IDE power connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-need-the-extra-power-on-the-graphics-card.69170/
Relevancy 21.93%

When I try to print my Word document on my HPDeskJet, it "pretends" to be printing, but the page comes out blank. Programs such as Microsoft WordPad, Notepad, and Word documents from AOL won't print either. My printer works well with other programs such as Mozilla Firefox and IE7.

Why won't my Word doc print???
Thanks for any help...

A:Word Document won't Print

The print head is most likely clogged in your printer. replace it or soak it over night in a bath of isopropyl alcohol.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/word-document-wont-print.69012/