Windows Support Forum

Stylus for Inspiron 2 in 1

Q: Stylus for Inspiron 2 in 1

Hi,
I received a Dell Inspiron 2in1 laptop that can also be a tablet and I'm looking for the best option for a stylus. I have a regular one, but I am at college and would really like to be able to take notes on it so I am looking for a fine point pen stylus that works with the touchscreen on my laptop. Do you know which one would be the best option for me? Please let me know.
Alyssa

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Stylus for Inspiron 2 in 1

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Stylus for Inspiron 2 in 1

We'd need the exact model number to tell you for certain, but most of these don't have a true digitizing screen - meaning the active type stylus you'd need to take notes won't work. If this is an Inspiron 7359, that will be the case.
There ARE systems out there that do have true active digitizers, but the price floor is about $1K -- this is the domain of the Lenovo Yoga Pro, Think Pad Yoga, and Surface Pro 4. Just about every system under $1K is a touchscreen tablet - not a true digitizing screen notebook.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19994553
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello,

I've got a Dell Inspiron 9400.

For a few years now the left half of the screen is really dark, with the other side normal brightness and a noticeable divide between the two. This only happens when the power supply is plugged in, the screen is fine when running off the battery.

I remember at the time doing a quick search and reading that it was likely to be a faulty battery, so that was replaced but didn't make a difference. Very few searches come back with an exact match of my situation, but keep seeing to detach the LCD cables and make sure they're in good condition yet haven't seen any success stories.

Does anyone know the problem?

Oli

A:Dell Inspiron half of the screen is dark

Does attaching an external monitor show the same problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-half-of-the-screen-is-dark.187509/
Relevancy 24.94%

My hard drive died and I took it to a computer shop where he put in a new one and windows XP, as no one had a vista disc. Since I got it back the blue Fn key doesn't work. Numbers lock works, but all the F keys, volume controls, brightness controls and my crt/lcd don't work at all. Dell doesn't seem to have a driver that I can find. Does anyone have one that would fix this? Is there another way to use the F keys, especially the crt/lcd without having to use the Fn key?

A:Fn key not working on Inspiron 1501 with XP

Be sure you are the registered owner, then call Dell Tech support, and ask them to send you the install disk set... It is usually free for the original owner, if not supplied at time of purchase.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fn-key-not-working-on-inspiron-1501-with-xp.156952/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have just added a new SSD drive does recognize 1720 Inspiron in modular boot bay not BIOS sequence HDD in the modular bay of my Inspiron The SSD drive in modular bay is accessible if I boot using my normal harddrive or USB DVD-ROM drive for OS installation which I managed to install on the SSD drive Once boot using my regular HDD I can see the drive is set to Disk in Windows Disk Management And my other HDDs Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence as Disk and Disk I can boot thru HDD or HDD by selecting them in boot sequence However the SSD drive is not available as part of the boot sequence in the BIOS setup or F boot sequence The BIOS though recognize that there is an SSD drive attached Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence in modular drive bay My Inspiron is using the latest A BIOS and I could not find a way to include the SSD as part of the boot sequence The boot sequence works when I put back the DVD-ROM drive which boots without any problem with any bootable CD DVD Is there any way I can make the modular bay SSD bootable other than of course putting the SSD in the HDD or HDD caddy which some thing I do not wish to do Please help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-1720-bios-does-not-recognize-modular-bay-hdd-in-boot-sequence.210955/
Relevancy 24.51%

My Dell has been acting up pretty recently (6 months old and still under warranty), and the battery does not charge past 80%. Once it get's near the 80% charge, it immediately fills up to 100%.

I've remembered using the laptop for more than 6 hours under moderate use but now it barely lasts 2 hours.

Please give me some advice because I'm really dependent on this laptop.

A:Dell Inspiron 3437 Battery Issue

You have 6 or 8 cells battery. If 6 it's normall. Should work about 2-max 3 hours when new. On 8 cells could work till 5 h.
Producers give only 6 months of warranty on bateries

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-3437-battery-issue.210804/
Relevancy 24.94%

My Dell Inspiron 5520 will respond when I press the power button, will flash all the LEDs and then just shut down. The whole process takes about 6 seconds. The fan starts up but nothing is displayed on the screen and there are no weird beeps. Any ideas on what is happening or how to get it to complete booting up?

I got this in December of 2012 and have had very few other problems with it

A:Dell Inspiron 5520 Will not start up

Are you comfortable with disassembling the laptop? Really the only thing we can test is removing the Hard Drive, RAM, and DVD player.

First I would try the HD and DVD to see if either of those are stopping it from powering for what ever reason, and you will still get something on the screen and see if it boots.

Once you remove RAM you are not going to get anything on the screen, it doesn't POST(Power-On Self-Test) it will fail guaranteed, but you "SHOULD" get beeps, however the problem with that is ensuring the MB is actually causing the Beep, and if it's not it'll just do the same thing regardless, it's best to have some spare RAM that you know works to test with. (Same speeds and kind, need to be sure) The reason for this is to make sure that it's not RAM but you're not just getting the same issue.

Putting in some spare RAM will at least allow you to ensure it's not just the RAM chips, one thing to try if you have multiple sticks of RAM is try each stick separately, and in each slot to make sure it's not one stick or one slot causing and issue.

The only other things to make sure is the power that is getting to the laptop is clean power. Two ways to do this as well, firstly you can test the power supply using a Multi-Meter if you have one and know how to use it. You can check the voltages on the power supply, Connect to the wall and test the first portion to ensure 120V clean power, then if its good, test it going through the transformer and check the bottom of the laptop (Possibly underneath the battery) for the proper Voltage and Amperage. Test with the multimetre and see if it matches, if its not giving proper power it can cause tons of issues.

The other option is to buy a universal power supply and change the voltage to match the laptop and then try it. Due note that not ALL universals work with all models of laptop and that it's not the recommended way of power, it's best to use the adapter designed by the company, specially for HP's and Dell's as they seem to be much more proprietary than other companies.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-5520-will-not-start-up.208719/
Relevancy 24.08%

hi guys wish you all a great new year.

im facing a very annoying issue with my laptop, some keys are not working, the left **** and the windows key I just don't know whats happening.

can someone please help mw with that.

thanks in advance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-7537-shift-and-windows-key-not-working.207933/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi,

I was looking to upgrade my Dell Insprion 2330 all-in-one PC to a solid state drive, to improve the performance. Firstly, is this possible? If so, is it practical?

Currently I have the factory 2TB hard disk installed and it seems a shame to loose all that storage space. From what I have seen it may be possible to replace the blu-ray drive with a SSD instead? Primarily I would be looking to run my operating system of the SSD and then use the existing drive for the bulk of my storage. That being said I am not sure if I would want to loose my blu-ray player either. I don't use it all that much, but it is still nice to have it there. I understand I may need to make some compromises to make the upgrade, so hopefully someone will be able to point me in the best direction and tell me whether it is really worth it. My PC doesn't run slow my any stretch, but from what I have seen it can make a big difference!

Thanks in advance,

Alex

A:SSD upgrade for Dell Inspiron 2330, is it possible?

Technically speaking, yes you could replace the hard drive with an SSD. I have never changed anything (hardware wise) with an All-In-One unit, but it must be possible. If you are looking to keep the extra storage space, you could take the 2TB hard drive and put it in an external hard drive case and connect it to one of your two USB 3.0 ports. That way you still have storage space to use while keeping your Blu-ray drive and having a SSD for your Operating System and Programs. It wont be as fast as leaving it inside connected with a SATA cable, but it will be better then connecting it USB 2.0 or not using it at all. If you do go through with this "venture", take photos and document what you did each step and then post them up here. May come in handy for someone else in the future.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-upgrade-for-dell-inspiron-2330-is-it-possible.206923/
Relevancy 24.51%

First of all I would like to sincerly thank Techspot memeber Richard for saving me the cost of a new computer with his posted solution to the closed thread Dell inspiron will not turn on I m was so impressed with Richard s solution that I was compelled to joing Techspot and post this thank you and my Dell 1564 turn on solution will not Inspiron comments I have never posted previously so I hope I m within Techspot protocol A few hours ago my Dell Inspiron would not turn on it appeared that no AC power was getting through the power switch my computer was dead I tried changing batteries using the power cord without a battery plugging the ac power cord in while holding the power button down I tired everything to no avail I went shopping online on my wife s laptop for a new machine On a whim I did an internet search on my Dell Inspiron will not turn on and got directed tp the Techspot thread which contained Richard s solution As Richard instructed I disassembled my failed laptop disconnected and then reconnected the touch pad plugged in the power cord hit the power button and bingo my laptop came on just like it has hundreds of times before This procedure took me about hours I have taken apart about half a dozen laptops over my computing years There is obviously a weakness in the Inspirons around the Sleep Hibernate functions and the mechanism when the laptop Dell Inspiron 1564 will not turn on solution is closed which triggers these functions The mechanism appears to be somehow tied into the touchpad So disconnecting and then reconnecting the touchpad resets the functions I just had a thought I wonder if disabling and then enabling the touchpad through the windows control panel would do the same thing as physically disconnecting and reconnecting the hardware It would be a lot easier and quicker fix then disecting a laptop Oh well hopefully it won t happen to me again so I will never know I ve diabled the sleep and Hibernate functions on my computer so hopefully It won t have another near death experience It will of course die naturally one day that much I know is true thanks again Richard for your solution and thank you Techspot for this forum nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 1564 will not turn on solution

How would you get to the control panel to disable it if it won't turn on?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1564-will-not-turn-on-solution.179813/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi Guys,

I would like to seek help regarding my laptop (Dell Inspiron 3437). I oftenly encounter a very slow start up/booting and also there are times that shutting it down takes too long also as if it is not responding, which will result to forced shutting it. I need help in this.

Thanks you very much.

A:Dell Inspiron 3437- Startup and shutdown problem

Which Windows and how much free space do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-3437-startup-and-shutdown-problem.204241/
Relevancy 23.65%

Good day chaps, yesterday night I was casually playing a game (Aion > mmorpg) and I decided to put some music on(it was on browser, YouTube), when I pressed alt+tab to change it it started flashing telling me the exact issue : AMD DRIVER CRASHED AND FAILED TO RECOVER.

I got a bit scared when it gave me a blue screen, so I thought of asking for any tips or clues why it does that~

For unkown reasons, I can't upload the .dmp file saying either its empty, or The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.

Hope you can help me and thanks a buck!~

A:Dell Inspiron 3512 AMD Radeon HD 8500/8700M crashed and failed to recover

Upgrade the driver and see if this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-3512-amd-radeon-hd-8500-8700m-crashed-and-failed-to-recover.203323/
Relevancy 24.08%

I am a novice to repairing hardware but have been expanding my skills recently tried repairing a broken dc jack on my mom s Dell Inspiron laptop I had no previous soldering experience but thought I d done enough research and watched enough YouTube videos to motherboard Inspiron soldering advice for 1501 Dell Need get the gist problem is I tried out different soldering Need advice for soldering Dell Inspiron 1501 motherboard irons and couldn t really make a dent in getting the existing soldering off of the component and board The rd iron I used was an Elenco -watt soldering station temp turned to max I tried soldering wick Chipquick adding new solder you name it I tried it Nothing would get this stuff to budge like in any video I d watched What am I missing In doing research for a better iron I have only seen suggestions to NOT go over watts yet this didn t do the trick What gives I did eventually get the solder off and attempted to solder on a replacement jack but when I plugged in the laptop it tripped the circuit on the AC adapter so obviously there s a bad connection I threw in the towel and ordered a replacement board off of Ebay which ended up having a bad RAM socket ARGH I m now mustering the courage to attempt a repair of the original board if it s even still good at this point but I don t know where to go from here regarding the right soldering iron solder etc Any tips or advice for working on this type of board I did read something about motherboards with an Intel Pentium CPU or after greatly affecting heat dissipation or something but I did see guys online successfully doing this like it was cake nbsp

A:Need advice for soldering Dell Inspiron 1501 motherboard

Can you post an photo of your soldering?I'm not sure if I can help, but an image might help us understand what you are looking at.

I solder quite often, and have done repair work such as you are attempting. I do know it is easiest to when there is only one solder joint to contend with. One joint such as a wire you can pull the wire as you heat and once hot enough the wire will pull free. Several solder joints are a different ballgame. There are two choices, and one choice I've never had the equipment to do so. Heating every join at the same time, can be done by blowing hot air across the component. I've never had the equipment for it, so I've been left with the choice of cleaning each joint one at a time. I noticed this is how you were attempting solder removal.

Solder tips must be clean and prepped for use. A trashy tip can cause an insulated barrier and prevent heating of the solder joint. Always tin your tips with a tad of solder before you ever use it the first time. If you don't tin your tip, you will always have trouble using it.
Pre-heat the tip so you are not waiting and possibly causing damage to the solder joint and/or component. Spending too much time on a solder joint is never a good idea. You want to heat the joint as quickly as possible without heating everything else.
On removal with the wick, the wick needs to be just as clean as the solder tip or it will not absorb any of the solder. A little bit of soldering flux may help the wick absorb. But if the wick has already been used, it is doubtful it will work again.
Soldering flux is always helpful when soldering joints back in place anyway. Especially on surfaces that have not been soldered previously. It doesn't take much, a finger smear is plenty sufficient. however on multi-strand wire you will want enough flux to absorb into the strands of the wire.
Don't bubble your joint, all you need is a slim joint connection. More solder will do nothing for the joint. Watch for solder beads, that can unexpectedly drop off your tip cause shorts.
One last piece of advice, soldering is no different than welding metal. Solder will not stick unless both surfaces are heated. If you only heat one side of the joint, solder will not stick to the other side. It's usually a better to try and heat the larger surface first as the smaller heats up more quickly. It's the timing of both surfaces that you want heated at the same time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-for-soldering-dell-inspiron-1501-motherboard.195091/
Relevancy 24.94%

I just bought a dell Inspiron 9800 that was built in 2004, for 40 bucks. I tried to use it and when I got to the user screen to select a user that that was the owners , it worked then it automatically signed me out, I have no idea on what to do with out going to someone and pay for them to do it , I would like to know what I can do to fix it, I wanted to do a system restore, let me know my options I kept pressing f8 and it gave me options just want to play it safe on what to do

A:Dell Inspiron 9800

F2 or F11 will normally bring up the System Recovery Console. F8 brings up the OS menu for other available boot options.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-9800.192282/
Relevancy 24.94%

I recently changed my display out. Every time I boot up the computer I have to unplug and plug back in the connector shown in the photo to have full color, otherwise it is a very dim screen. Using windows xp. Any thoughts????

A:Dell Inspiron screen dim on startup

Was the replacement LCD panel the same part number as the old panel?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-screen-dim-on-startup.191959/
Relevancy 24.94%

Allllllright, so I sat down and turned on my laptop and the screen was black and there was an error pop up that said something about the log in screen. I so very intelligently hit the nice little red X in the corner and then nothing happened. The computer screen stayed black. I turned it off and back on twice before finally removing the battery for a short time and replacing it. (I was under the impression that this would magically help somehow.) but it goes through the motions of starting up and when it gets to the part where I log in, it stays on but black screens.

I have a dell Inspiron m5030 and I'm still using windows 7... If that helps.

A:Dell Inspiron m5030

Uhhhhh, it turned on...? And worked like normal. I kept pressing F12 for reboot options but they never came up then my login finally came up. But what do I do if this problem persists?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-m5030.189729/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi I am experiencing keyboard issue if some can help I would appreciate it I have problem with keys quot S quot and quot D quot as you see they are not completely dead at least so far till I toss the whole thing out of the window while I am writing this lol Sometime they get unresponsive a bit D works fine but S doesn t than the D bugs but S works than they work ok for a minute but that does not last long I test them in notepad holding them down and when I release them they continue to write a bit acting Dell keys Inspiron and up D S tho they ain t stuck I even removed them Dell Inspiron S and D keys acting up to check for dirt but its all fine looking No dirt and so random that I figure its not physical issue I kinda use that buttons a lot for games Also this problem came up after I was installing some programs - Rainmeter and some skins for it Avast Antivirus No idea if it has to do with them but I uninstalled them anyway I also uninstalled keyboard driver from device manager allowing windows to install new ones after reboot Did not help nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron S and D keys acting up

You may have to remove the keyboard and re-seat the connector into the motherboard connector

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-s-and-d-keys-acting-up.188694/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop and recently it keeps on shutting down without warning, the fan kicks in (quite loudly) and then total loss of power. It comes back on as soon as I press the on button and it doesnt feel too hot. help please?!

A:Dell Inspiron 1545, shutting down

Go to this site: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-1545 and download the driver under BIOS. Make sure all apps are closed and your PC is plugged in before flashing and follow the directions carefully or you can ruin your computer. After this, download realtemp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ and run the exe after extracting the file. Tell me your temperatures for each core. good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1545-shutting-down.187667/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi there I have a Dell Inspiron won't on connected trackpad is turn Inspiron N4010 if n and recently my speakers stopped Inspiron N4010 won't turn on if trackpad is connected working At first it was just one of them but later the other stopped working too Everything in the OS seems to be right the drivers are installed etc So I decided to open it so I could see if the connection on the motherboard is alright And they were so couldn t solve that Anyway the big problem came later When I plugged the three ribbons attached from the top panel to the motherboard one for the powering button another one for the keyboard and the last one for the trackpad and put all the screws back in the laptop didnt boot up So after playing around a bit to try different possibilities I realized that is only when I connect the trackpad ribbon that the computer doesn t boot If it s unplugged there is no problem Searching for a solution I found this on another post on vb topic Add techspot com at the beginning and html at the end cause I cannot post links But that works for a different model and implies breaking a sensor which I d rather not doing So I would like to know if anyone knows the solution to this or if there is anybody out there with the same problem and had success fixing it Thanks and regards nbsp

A:Inspiron N4010 won't turn on if trackpad is connected

You have probably shorted or damaged one or more of the ribbon cables wires. Did you release the ribbon cables properly by releasing any plastic clips, or just by pulling on them? A Windows re-install might have brought the sound back to life. An errant Windows update might have caused this loss of sound. Now you have really messed things up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-n4010-wont-turn-on-if-trackpad-is-connected.178019/
Relevancy 24.94%

Greetings
First excuse me for my bad English
Please advice
I disassemble my laptop to clean the processor fan According to the instructions of dell support guide
I have assemble again ,but it didn't work
No signal
No lights
With battery and without
DEAD

Regards

A:Dell Inspiron 1564 dead

There is bound to be one of the interface connections that did not make good contacts. Trust me it is very difficult to make sure all interface connections are all properly seated in their connector.

I recently worked on a Notebook that had five separate boards inside and if any one of them was disconnected or wasn't properly seated, the machine would not boot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1564-dead.188035/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey guys,..I got a problem with a dell inspiron 8600 in which it came with XP. I installed windows 7 ultimate and there was no audio driver, and I cant find it in dell support site there's only xp drivers for the model, also I can't update the system I cracked product keys for the windows copy. Anyone with an ideal? I will appreciate a lot. Thanks.

A:Inspiron 8600 Windows 7 audio driver

TechSpot does not support warez.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-8600-windows-7-audio-driver.187021/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a 7 y/o Dell inspiron 9300 which froze for the first time. I had to restart. At the initial Dell start up screen the screen went black with the cursor flashing top left. I have tried to reboot from the o/s cd but after loading set-up files it only offers me the option of overwriting and deleting the partition with all my files and applications. I cannot get to the recovery console. I get to the c:\windows comd prompt but after that it says the command I type is invalid. I have tried ctrl f11 and f8 as advised by some forums, but the screen stays black with flashing cursor. I've removed the battery and run it of a/c power, no good. The computer is old and I want to replace it but I need to get all my files off it before I do. Anyone any more ideas?

A:My Dell inspiron 9300 won't boot

Sounds like the hard drive has failed, but you may be able to recover files by installing a new drive. Remove the old hard drive and put it aside. Format and install Windows on the new drive. Buy an external USB enclosure and install the old drive into it. Attach the USB enclosure to the laptop and see if you can access the files

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-inspiron-9300-wont-boot.184505/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a dell inspiron 1501, ati radeon 1150 xpress, 3 gb ram, 150 gb hdd windows xp sp3.

I havent had any problems with playing games on it until just recently. upgraded bios, dfraged, ran crap cleaner, memory and video stress tests came back ok. what it does is it will run just fine, sometimes I can play for hours with my external fan on and spraying the dust out, but the screen will blink black then come back, once I do something it will crash. I redid the heatsink with artic silver and it helped a little. im thinking this is a software problem, but if I knew I wouldnt be asking if someone could help or have had something similar happen to them.maybe its the catalyst control center? I dont know where to go now.

A:Inspiron 1501 problems

Sounds possibly like a graphic card or driver problem.
So I would uninstall the graphics driver, and re install, see if it helps, and at worst won't be any different, so nothing to lose.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-1501-problems.182038/
Relevancy 24.08%

My cable company recently upgraded its modems oh the fun not There are computers Inspiron home connect to Dell 2200 network won't in my home one which is connected directly Dell Inspiron 2200 won't connect to home network to the modem and on wireless connections The other wireless computer is maintaining an Internet connection without any problems mine isn t When it tries to automatically sign on to Dell Inspiron 2200 won't connect to home network the network Dell Inspiron 2200 won't connect to home network the wireless connection gets as far as quot Acquiring network address quot then stops However it will successfully connect to another network that is within range so I m pretty sure my wireless adapter isn t bad Resetting the modem isn t producing any results Mine is a Dell Inspiron running Windows XP SP I m using the wireless adapter that came installed with the computer my anti-virus Norton is up to date and Windows Firewall is turned on According to the cable company my OS is supposed to be compatible with the new modem The modem is an Arris Telephony Gateway Any ideas on possible causes and solutions nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 2200 won't connect to home network

Remove Norton and install free Microsoft Security Essentials:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

See if you can restore the wireless connection after doing this... The laptop may be more responsive too

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-2200-wont-connect-to-home-network.180768/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi Guys About months ago my laptop started to act up The screen would get jumpy horizaontal lines flashign across it and then it would cut out altho lights are still on the screen would needed advice of crashes, sure Inspiron not HP cause, be black I would turn it off and turn it on and it may not happen again for a HP Inspiron crashes, not sure of cause, advice needed day week or even month Now things have worsened it now happens every session often failing to start altogether The jumping has worsened too it can become heavily pixalated and distorted making a weird noise as if the audio has been caught while it froze Sometimes the screen goes black and the audio continues as normal for a few seconds then dies too Sometimes a blue screen appears telling me it is dumping physical memory this scares me so i usually turn it off quickly Im noit sure if the following is correlation or causation but occasionally this jumping and freezing etc is brought about by me moving the screen of laptop slightly IT does seem to last longer if i have the laptop some where stationary All in all im very confused i brought it to a repair shop and he told me it was not the hardrive so must be the motherboard and therefore v expensive I didnt really get the trusting vibe off him so im worried hes just saying that so i spend big cash with him Im trying to decide what the problem is any ideas If it is the motherboard is it worth fixing If i do buy a new laptop is there any resale in mine for parts If you require any further details im happy to try but i dont have much computer knowledge hence why my title is not very techy Cheers guys Shane nbsp

A:HP Inspiron crashes, not sure of cause, advice needed

"HP Inspiron crashes"...

You must mean Dell Inspiron, don't you? What is the model or service tag number?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-inspiron-crashes-not-sure-of-cause-advice-needed.179414/
Relevancy 24.51%

Thanks,..this laptop sometimes power on normaly and sometime not,..when this laptop power on normal it´s works very well huntill charge the batery fully,but if turning of and later try to power on again ,...nathing ,...no start the laptop it seems dead ,..I´ve check almost every parts bu i can´t find the problem ,..only when the initial post show that ¨wattage and type adapter unknown try a 65 wts or biger ¨,..could this be the problem ?,...any idea I¨ll thanks you

A:Laptop Dell Inspiron, power on problem

hi im not a tech but know a few bits take battery off laptop and try plug the charger adaper in without the battery on and see what happens if works fine then you need new battery if not then try to get a charger adapter that is compatible and try these are 1st 2 steps i would try

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-dell-inspiron-power-on-problem.179456/
Relevancy 24.51%

I recently hibernated my dell inspiron 1545 laptop and the following morning it would not power up. I tried with the battery alone still nothing. Even with the power adapter still it would not power up. What should i do?

A:Dell Inspiron 1545 mobo not powering up

It may have nothing to do with the hibernation.
Check your power socket very carefully... The socket has been breaking away on some models... This is a "flat soldered" device, and when it breaks awayf from the motherboard, the board and other components cannot get power.
This requires a re-soldering by a person who is expert in flat solder techniques... it is not a job for first timers.
Whatever the problem, you would likely benefit from having it tested by a shop or technician who has all the right tools for testing circuits, power input, and power output.
It could also be a fusable resister or other device.
Plan to spend some money... Diagnostic time from an expert can be expensive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1545-mobo-not-powering-up.179176/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello all,

I just finished wiping a friends laptop with a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP3. A couple days later I went to use it after it installed Microsoft Office 2007 Pro Plus. IT was extremely slow afterwards. Extremely slow means it took 15 minutes just to pull up the Start Menu. I removed all traces of Office and it was still slow so I did a clean install on Windows Vista (Which it shipped with) however the install itself is taking ages as well... Can anyone tell me what has happened??? I am at a loss and I just want this thing to start working again. I have also tried resetting the BIOS back to default settings and still nothing!

A:Dell Inspiron 1525 very slow

Could be a simple hardware problem..make sure everything in bios is reading correctly (amount of ram, CPU clock speed, etc).
a fam member had a 1525, and it died spectaculary. Maybe they just arent good laptops.
If its not the above, IDK. new OS would be first suggestion, but apparently you did that already.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1525-very-slow.179004/
Relevancy 24.94%

My Laptop over heated today and I removed the back plate to gain access to clean out the fan ect Once I tried to boot the computer up everything flashed at me like always but then turned off the screen remained black I ve done a little research via googled and I have tried Removing the AC power lead and the battery and switched them about to see 1525 Dell Inspiron, start won't if it would resolve but resulted in the same issue as stated above Holding the power button down for seconds without the laptop having power and with power Then powering up I ve pulled the HDD Dell 1525 Inspiron, won't start and the memory as instructed by the Dell support site When power was disconnected and booted switch the memory about and booted a number of time Everything was re-connected properly This is driving me totally mad as I need the laptop due to work and other reasons I paid about four years ago so it s no longer under warranty also none of the settings where changed Dell 1525 Inspiron, won't start before the issue began I would be grateful for any advice or assistance So what is the possible issue that I m having is my motherboard fried or is it something else nbsp

A:Dell 1525 Inspiron, won't start

just like mine

am trying to find the sleep sw that hibernates the sys to bypass read the threads under tryingdad, maybe we can fix both

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-1525-inspiron-wont-start.178808/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi Guyz....

I am buying new laptop and i have two choices in my budget. Dell Inspiron N5110 (15R) and Lenovo Essential B570. Both have i3 Sandy Bridge. Which one you think is better ???? Any suggestions

A:Dell Inspiron N5110 vs. Lenovo B570

So what did you decide on?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-n5110-vs-lenovo-b570.177611/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hello Everyone!
Ive been facing a peculiar problem with my Dell inspiron mini 270 of late. Its power light wont go off even after I switch off the laptop thus indicating that it is still being charged! What is even more strange is that in such a state I cannot restart my laptop until after the power light goes off on its own after a few hours. After repeated attempts, I have come to understand that this indicates that now the battery is discharged. Now when I put the power adaptor on and switch on the laptop, it starts. This effectively means that every time I charge the battery and switch off the laptop after some work, I HAVE to wait till the battery is completely discharged to start the laptop again. Guys, guys, I am at my wits end and have extremely close to tearing off my few remaining strands of hair. Any clues anyone?

A:My Dell Inspiron Mini 270 power indicator won't turn off

If the battery is removable, remove and see if the light behaves... If it does, the battery may need to be replaced

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-inspiron-mini-270-power-indicator-wont-turn-off.177803/
Relevancy 24.51%

Good morning everyone...

My old 600m for some reason last night decided NOT to find any webpages. The wireless network indicates that it is connected to the router, functioning properly. My daughter's notebook easily connects to the network, so I know it's not the router. I'm using XP Pro, SP2, Linxsys wireless, Intel 2200BG card.

I'm not that computer literate, but am usually able to fix most things.

HELP, please!!

Thanks!

Tom

A:Dell Inspiron 600m cannot find web pages

Do you have the latest driver?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...IntelŽ+PRO/Wireless+2200BG+Network+Connection

You should have SP3 installed, support for SP2 has been discontinued.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-600m-cannot-find-web-pages.177540/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello again,
I've got a customer with what sounds like a memory issue. I want to run Memtest86+ on it, but there is an issue. On bootup, I get "keyboard failure" and I can't enter the BIOS to change the boot device priority so that I can load Memtest86+ from a flash drive or cd. The keyboard works fine once I'm into Windows, but I can't use it before Windows loads.
Things tried:
Reset CMOS.
Unplugged all other usb devices, including card reader internally.
Checked device manager, looks clean.

Thanks for any help.

A:Keyboard failure Dell Inspiron 580

Is it a GUI BIOS? Can you unplug the keyboard and use a mouse? Is the keyboard USB or PS/2?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-failure-dell-inspiron-580.176553/
Relevancy 24.94%

Please help. I've got a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 on it. Almost everytime I use it settings and things have been changed even though it stays locked in my office which is in my garage and noone but myself has a key. Also, I'm often redirected when online yet I've run McAfee, Advanced Systems Care 5 as well as Microsofts latest antimalware program and all that is ever found are cookies. I've attached a Hijackthis log in hopes that someone could help me with this. Please advise. Thank you.

A:Dell Inspiron 1545

Don't see anything alarming in the HiJackThis log.
I would attempt a test install with a new or borrowed hard drive, then making sure all Dell drivers are installed, and then run Windows update or Microsoft update a few times to be sure all updates are downloaded and installed.

Then if the problem remains the same, you ought to have a certified tech who knows Dell take a look at it. It it works properly with the test drive, you know what to do next.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1545.176184/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey Guys sorry if i am posting in the wrong place that is actually what this topic is about i am having some issues with my computer taht are hard to explain other than it is pissing me off I can not play any games what so ever that include warcraft III Startcraft Age of Empires The Sims Empire earth and pretty much any other game i have I heard i may to update my play won't games My 530 Dell Inspiron graphics card Drivers Well honestly i am a bit of My Dell Inspiron 530 won't play games a lame when it comes to knowing anything tech wise about computers I can however tell you it is a Dell Inspiron OS Windows XP pro SP GB Hard drive GB RAM i am really unsure about other details if you have any idea what might My Dell Inspiron 530 won't play games be causing these issues please let me know Also if there is anymore info you need as i am sure there is because of my lack of knowledge with finding it let me know what it is i will try my hardest to list it here nbsp

A:My Dell Inspiron 530 won't play games

Do you have a graphics card? Not talking about intergrated. We will talk about graphics cards in a minute, Since the games your trying to play are kinda old, try runing as admin. For graphics cards, you have a intel intergrated(That sucks) and your computer and use PCI-E X16, post a topic on Audio/Video section of the forums. And how much PSU(Power Supply Unit) do you currently have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-inspiron-530-wont-play-games.175976/
Relevancy 23.22%

I just received a Dell Inspiron 1420 and it did not have an OS on it. I installed Windows Vista Home Premium which was the original OS on the laptop. Everythng seems to be working fine however the touchpad freezes. The buttons work fine.

I've tried different drivers and nothing. Please help me.

A:Dell Inspiron 1420 touchpad acting erratic after reinstalling Vista Home Premium

did you run Windows Update?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1420-touchpad-acting-erratic-after-reinstalling-vista-home-premium.175802/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello there my wife Dell Inspiron 1545 w/ Windows 7, laptop just stopped connecting to the internet. Last Sunday it was working fine then the following Monday she could not connect to the internet. I had tried all that I could think of and even call Belkin for help. Nothing was wrong with the router so they couldn't help me with the problem. I did a troubleshoot and the laptop gives the following problem. [The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running.] I have no idea in what that is and is hoping that someone can tell me. It do says that it have "Limited connection." Would appreciate it if someone could help to our problem.

A:Dell Inspiron 1545 won't connect to Internet

Be sure to test your connection with another computer first, to rule out cable modem and other hard ware issues.
The Inspiron 1545 does not have a bad record of failure with the ethernet port... but this one could be gone, and might be difficult to fix at your desk without the ability to connect.
You might want to go to the Dell site with another computer and download and save all the driver updates for that Dell Product ID, download and reinstall them via a usb drive or CD... as a early test.
If the Dell is still under warranty, Dell will send somebody to your home or shop for diagnostics... otherwise, you can short cut wasted time by finding a qualified or experienced tech to run a few tests.
Ethernet ports do burn out, randomly, on a number of system boards, though the expected failure rate is very low. We have never seen a failure on the 1545's we see in our shops. Yours may be a goner that only a motherboard repair or replacement will fix...
Good luck. Please let us know the final diagnosis and fix.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1545-wont-connect-to-internet.175130/
Relevancy 24.51%

hi anyone who can help me I just have a bios update failed because my computer hangs and as I reboot nothing appears and i guess my bios is corrupt how can I recover my bios pls help

A:BIOS recovery of Dell Inspiron 1564

Take a look at this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/del.../468217-how-blind-flash-dell-1564-urgent.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-recovery-of-dell-inspiron-1564.173623/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi Basically I m I live on my own and whilst I know the basics about laptops I aren t at all genius like the lot of you I ve tried to read all work at won't 1545 Dell Inspiron through some of Dell Inspiron 1545 won't work at all the posts and find it really difficult so if anyone knows the answer to my problem please try to pretend you re talking to an alien and give it in simple terms I have a Dell Inspiron that is about a month out of warranty so Dell won t help It came up with an error about two weeks ago saying Time And Date Clock Stopped or something very similar I took it to a local technician who changed the clock battery or something like that It was a tiny circle thing It worked for a couple hours and then went dead and wouldn t do anything at all Wouldn t turn on or light up or anything They then said they had forgot to attach the switch that goes under the keyboard that it needs to turn back on so I went back and he reattached the clip but still it doesn t work My friends baby crawled on top of the laptop when the lid was down and hey presto it worked again Then a few days later the same happened and it just won t turn on Could something be loose Or is it just dead My local technician says it might be the motherboard I don t understand why it would work after a baby had sat on it surely it means something clicked in to place I put the charger in and I know it works but the light on the laptop that should come on to say its charging stays off I press the power on button and theirs no whirl noise or lights or anything it just doesn t budge BUT if I press the button lots of times the screen flashes white for a millisecond and then nothing again Any idea Rachael nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1545-wont-work-at-all.172568/
Relevancy 24.94%

My Dell Inspiron 1000 won't boot. When i press the power button, the lights above the keyboard flash for a second, then with a click it stops. It does not even start the boot sequence. I tried a UBCD but it never gets that far. Can anybody help me diagnose the problem?

Thank you

A:Dell Inspiron 1000 won't boot

I had the same problem when my graphics card died and then it has also happened to me when a HDD died and got it working by disconnecting the power cable to faulty component. So you could try that, one component at the time, or then remove (for ex.) one ram card and try, then an other and try again...and so on

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1000-wont-boot.171905/
Relevancy 24.51%

owned since August specs visible on profile i guess problems since April initially it wouldn t turn on soon after shutting down like i had to wait some - mins before it could turn on quot turn on quot in this post means when the screen lights up and the dell sign loads the problem further deteriorated when it didnt turn on for a whole week like that and one day just out of the blue i pressed the power button and the screen came to life a week after that it died again and then i took it a computer repair shop i lost the warranty card and i dont reckon dell has reliable repair etc in my country they told me the motherboard was fried but there was a chance they could fix it it was fixed and returned to me detailed Inspiron not on, symptoms 1440, turning i have never spilled anything on it but it could have overheated due to overuse usually turned on for - hrs in one go without external cooling i took extra care after that and got a cooling pad as well but - weeks later it died again and i took it to another shop it was fixed and returned to me now i have no idea what they did to it in the shop bcz u have to leave ur machine with them n they work on it whenever THEY find it feasible now after a few months it s dead yet again i tried my own hand at it several times but i could never open it out of fear till the motherboard iv tried -resetting the ram changing slots etc -taking out all the detachable elements and blowing into it to clean the dust but i can t reach the motherboard somehow there is some screw that i can t find and now it s lying there dead for all the world to see and im figuratively Inspiron 1440, not turning on, detailed symptoms crying girly tears at its deathbed sigh also if i turn it on without ram it gives me beeps pause beeps pause repetitively if i insert the ram into the ram slot it waits some - seconds before exhibiting the aforementioned behavior nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-1440-not-turning-on-detailed-symptoms.171484/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a Dell Inspiron When I turn it on I see the usual initial screen the windows logo and the loading bar below it Then the screen turns off working going hibernation or Dell into 6400: not Inspiron Screen a bit like hibernation If I leave it there I eventually hear the usual sound of windows loading up that I would Dell Inspiron 6400: Screen not working or going into hibernation be familiar with when one reaches the desktop stage after startup At this point if I close down the laptop and open it back up the screen lights up and displays the screen that usually comes up when someone reactivates a turned-on laptop blue screen with the button in the middle and the account name and status locked However the entire screen is slightly off in colour But before I can click the button to unlock the account the screen goes black again So that s what s happening all the time now Initially I had been using the laptop and it was working fine Then left the room Then returned and was looking at the screen not touching the cursor and the computer went black like it would if no user had been inputting into it So the screen going black seemed normal at first But since that occurred I have not been able to interface with the computer SO the computer seems to be working and the screen can display But it keeps going black As if the computer keeps thinking its time to hibernate I looked at the dell site about opening it up and i read posts about other people opening their laptop to fix issues with screen I m not sure what I d be looking for though One unusual occurrence was I started the computer the windows logo was displayed the screen went black I closed down the screen within seconds at this stage I did not know that it would eventually still load if I left it open Then after or minutes the computer was making beeps Three loud beeps in a row then ascending-descending-ascending-descending beeps with the A and lights flashing with the pattern too Opening the laptop the screen started up then died as per usual The second I saw the screen it looked like it had low resolution and basic colours It reminded me of back when computers had colours Real early windows look Some window was open with some options to select No idea what it was this only happened once nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6400-screen-not-working-or-going-into-hibernation.171362/
Relevancy 24.94%

hello computer lover,i hav a dell inspiron 6400 that had water mistakenly poured into it.i opened it up and cleaned it up,i even heated it up alittle.after doing that it came on.i now put it off thinking that was all,bt surprisingly it didnt come on after sometime.
i later noticed it blinks light and sometimes comes up occasionally.
i hav trid powering it up on battery,i hav also trid with ac power alone bt they all result in the same result.
pls what can i do next??????

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-inspiron-is-not-powering-on-why.171269/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have had this computer for almost 3 years now and have had no problems with the hardware before. I went to start my laptop earlier this week and it keeps loading without coming to my screen where I enter my password to go onto my desktop. It returns to an error message after trying to load with no success. The message says:

Windows failed to start.A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
Insert windows installation disk and restart.

Then it asks me to choose a mode: Safe mode, etc.

What's wrong with it and why am I getting this message?

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1545-not-booting.171024/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi everyone,
My PCH stays hot most of the time. For example when I play GRID for 30 minutes the temperature of the PCH gets up to 75C and when I quit the game it cools down hardly even when my laptop cooler is on.It blows cold air but stays hot. I had the same problem with the CPU two weeks ago but somehow it works normally now. Here are my specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5 2.9Ghz
RAM - 2x2GB DDR III
Video Card - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB
The laptop has no warranty since I opened it to check if the vent was clean.
All help would be appreciated

A:Dell Inspiron N5010 PCH overheating

You probably have to put on some new thermal paste between the CPU and its cooler

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-n5010-pch-overheating.169558/
Relevancy 24.51%

I go to the bios setup and under 'Fixed HDD' there's nothing? It's a fairly new hard drive which runs Win 7. I actually tried to reload Win 7 from the start and once it came to which drive to install it on....nothing was there? I don't believe the hard drive is toast at least I hope not. Please what can I do?

A:Dell Inspiron hard drive not detected....

"Please what can I do?"...
Have the hard drive replaced. They are really not that expensive any longer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-hard-drive-not-detected.169690/
Relevancy 24.51%

I want to buy a new laptop.My endless search found 2 potential candidates:
DELL Inspiron M5030
AMD V140
DDR3 SDRAM 4GB
ATI Mobility Radeon HD4250
640GB HDD
&
Dell Inspiron N5030
Intel Dual Core T4500 2.30 GHz / 800 MHz, 1 MB L2
2048MB 1333MHz DDR3
500GB HDD
Intel GMA 4500MHD

I JUST CAN'T CHOSE?
Can someone analyse them for me ,and tell me witch one is the best choice!

Thanks in advance!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-m5030-v140-or-t4500.169631/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a locked up system and cant seem to locate any sort of jumpers to get past the password authentication system on the laptop.

It's only like 3 years old so I figured there has to be some way to do this.

Where the CMOS battery is, I cant find anything to accomplish this.

A:Does my Inspiron 1525 have jumpers or a dipswitch?

We do not allow the discussion of how to circumvent the password authentication system on computers as we have no way of ascertaining you are the genuine owner of the computer.

I'm going to lock this thread now. I have deleted your other thread, as we do not allow the discussion of how to by-pass it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-my-inspiron-1525-have-jumpers-or-a-dipswitch.168948/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi everyone, I have been having problems with my Dell Inspiron N5010 since yesterday. I was playing for an hour with my laptop cooler on but when I quit the game the temps were still high. My CPU stays at 65C-70C so does the PCH 70C-75C when doing nothing.The fan runs at full speed but it seems that it can't cool down. When I shut down the computer for 15 minutes it gets normal but after running for 2 or 3 hours it gets hot again . I cleaned the fan 3 weeks ago and it's been only 2 months since I bought the laptop. Here are my specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5 2.9Ghz
RAM - 2x2GB DDR III
Video Card - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB
Chipset - Intel Ironlake- M-IMC

All help would be appreciated

A:Dell Inspiron N5010 fan always on

Since it is only 2 months old, I would open a Chat with Dell Support.
It could be something defective, could be bad processor contact with the CPU cooler. We had one the sealant was crystalized it had gotten so hot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-n5010-fan-always-on.168702/
Relevancy 24.94%

I tried to replace the keyboard on my sons Dell Inspiron and the black flip tab/clamp that holds the ribbon wire to the motherboard broke. Any ideas on where to find a replacement or how to connect it securely another way? I really don't want to buy a new motherboard and Dell doesn't offer the part by itself. Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Dell Inspiron keyboard replacement

Common trouble... I have purchased a non-working laptop just for these clips. Now I have spare motherboards that I can salvage these parts from. There's really no other way to fix this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-keyboard-replacement.168536/
Relevancy 24.08%

I'm missing the "local area connection" for a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Hence, I cannot seem to connect to the net.

Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Local area connection missing, Dell Inspiron 1300

Is your wireless working? Go under your BIOS and see if the WiFi is enabled or functioning. Download any BIOS updates, WiFi drivers update an etc.. If all is done and you still have the issue. Buy USB WiFi NIC Dongle and test that and see if you can get LAN or WAN connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-missing-dell-inspiron-1300.168709/
Relevancy 24.08%

My Laptop has not had a working lcd screen for about 3 weeks now but I have still been using it through my television display. When I press the Function and F8 keys at the same time my screen will flicker on for a second then go back off. I am going to take it apart and look for what the problem could be. I have a newer laptop and an external with everything backed up. Where should I be looking for the problem? could It be a simple loose wire or what could it be?

A:Dell Inspiron E1505 display flickers for a second then goes blank

If you take a flashlight and shine it on the screen, can you see a faint image. The LCD inverter may be bad. Be careful taking things apart. You can really mess things up if you don't have laptop repair experience

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-e1505-display-flickers-for-a-second-then-goes-blank.168412/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi
Please can anyone tell me if my keyboard is faulty or not ?
Symptoms is i start the laptop up fine and works web, office etc but then after a few mintues it goes haywire and the mouse goes really erractic fire over the screen and wont stay in one place its like its got the shakes, Any know what my fault is a friend said to me that happened with him and his was faulty keyboard. Anyone any suggestions please ?

A:Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop keyboard problem faulty or not?

Yes, I would say replace the keyboard too

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1525-laptop-keyboard-problem-faulty-or-not.167933/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi there.
I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 and the display is very faint. But you can just about see it if you shine a tourch on it.
I replaced the inverter with a new one, but that did not cure it.
It feeds to an external monitor perfectly, and doing this I have reinstalled Windows xp pro with no problems.
So I presume the laptop is working correctly, and the screen is not damaged, as everything functions as it should, apart from the display.
Any ideas or help would be really great, as other than using it permanantly linked to an external monitor, (bit of a problem with portability...lol), it is a great laptop.
Many thanks in advance.
Deevie.

A:Dell Inspiron 1520 display very faint

The test you did with the torch would indicate the backlight has blown. It's a tricky job to replace it so if you are not confortable taking it apart I would get a (recommended) professional.

And, yes it is a great laptop, I have the exact same model.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1520-display-very-faint.167916/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi , just wondering , I have a 4GB laptop (dell inspiron n5010) with i3 350 processor and 500 GB HD ... lately I wanted to play the most recent GTA and what happened ? well the game booted but barely have i gone out of the first corner the whole background disappeared ... I went to my graphics settings and it says Generic PnP Monitor and Intel(R) HD Graphics
-Chip type Intel HD
-Dac type Internal
-Bios info : Intel Video BIOS
-Total Available graphics memory 1696 MB
-Dedicated Video Memory 64MB
-System Video memory 0MB
-shared system memory 1632MB

Is there any way to increase the Video memory on my laptop ?
I will add to it that in the Bios itself there are no options available for me to even lower it they are all kind of @[email protected]
I have been trying everything even updates from intel etc but not helping...

A:How to increase video memory in a shared memory system (Dell Inspiron n5010)

All you can do is max out your system memory, if it isn't maxed already. There might be an option in the laptops bios to increase the shared video memory

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-increase-video-memory-in-a-shared-memory-system-dell-inspiron-n5010.166711/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have had many issues with this comupter, but my Dell Inspirton 1545 had started to read "no bootable devices" and wouldn't start at all. Now, after buying and installing a brand new harddrive, it reads it again, but only SOMETIMES!

When it gives me options of rebooting or running a diagnostics test, if I switch some stuff around or restart it, or even just leave it alone for a little while, I can start it and it works fine. Except after a short while of using it, it will malfunction and go to "no bootable devices" page again. Tech support says that the hard drive may not be connected properly, but I don't know what to do!

A:Dell Inspiron says "no bootable devices" with brand new hard drive

Probably a silly question, but is anything on the hard drive, like an O.S.? Has the "new" hard drive already been formatted? I'm only asking for sometimes some of my clients will go behind my back and install things like hard drives on their own and try to load an O.S. on them, failing to go through the formatting process, and they in the end either through frustration or embarrassment wind up calling me to drive to their house and fix their problem, like installing the O.S. properly.

Also checking your connections might not hurt, just make sure everything is fitting nice and snug and connected the right way.

(This was just me kind of thinking out loud for you.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-says-no-bootable-devices-with-brand-new-hard-drive.165260/
Relevancy 23.65%

Dell inspirion 5100 won't boot,already replaced power jack,problem improved slightly now shows following ,where as previously nothing.
with no battery + external power power and batttery light flash green every 10 sec .
with battery + external power power momentary flash twice of battery ,power and drive. battery light bright other two dull . no fan or other noise apparent screen stays blank.
Any ideas of source of problem, Help. need service manual , only found fsm for pull apart no info on servicing/repair or trouble shooting. nyome have a link to same. can't locate bios battery counldn't see it any where on mother board ,? wher is it would replace if new where it was. Any help apreciated
darkrider-

A:Dell Inspiron 5100 won't boot blank screen no noises no permanent lights

You will find all the info here including manuals.

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=bt

As you have no fans running this sounds like a power supply failure which could be internal.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-5100-wont-boot-blank-screen-no-noises-no-permanent-lights.164191/
Relevancy 24.51%

Okay so I don't know too much about laptops, and I am wondering if anyone can help me out? My Inpiron 1501 laptop keeps shutting off on it's own, and I can not figure out why for the life of me. This computer is also very, very slow. What can I do to fix this???

A:My Inspiron laptop keeps turning off for no reason and is very slow

What is the condition of the battery? How old is the laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-inspiron-laptop-keeps-turning-off-for-no-reason-and-is-very-slow.163061/
Relevancy 24.51%

Ive been workin with this laptop because my friend has been having some connectivity issues with it. It has been working perfect for me until i recently turned it on and and the screen is just blank. it makes all the start up sounds when windows has loaded and what not. But all i see is a black illuminated screen. The screen isnt blank like there is no signal, but i can see the back lights are illuminated just desktop image or anything. Any help would be very much appreciated.

A:Dell Inspiron 1520 display problem

RESOLVED: I took the battery out and let the computer sit for about 30 minutes. plugged the battery back in fired it up and monitor is working. Not sure what the deal was, but this seemed to help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1520-display-problem.163656/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have not been one to ask for help to get my PC out of trouble and I am new to this forum I have built a handful or two of PC s over the years I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which started Dell change Inspiron 9100 laptop video random characters - - tracing at having random video issues such as video traces and random pixel change then I noticed random characters flickering or appearing on the text in my BIOS even with my harddrive removed I am not completely familiar with character mapping and if this could be a VIDEO CARD issue but I suspected it was a BIOS VIRUS SInce I could not flash the BIOS without Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop - video tracing - characters change at random having Power connected AND a good battery in the unit I shelled out bucks to buy a new battery I flashed the BIOS to the latest ver but I am still having the same problem I have seen video failures before but not like this I performed a bootscan with Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop - video tracing - characters change at random AVAST afterwords but no dice As far as I know the only hardware quot virus s can effect quot are the HD and BIOS Once again while I am looking at a page in the BIOS I see letters being replaced by other characters and the longer I am on that page it becomes unreadable Sounds like a Virus to me OR could it just be I need to replace the VIDEO card Dell Inspiron laptop Mb ATI Mobility Radeon Windows XP and THANKS FOR ANY HELP xxxx nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop - video tracing - characters change at random

Welcome to TechSpot! Your thread is better suited to the Windows OS or Hardware forum, so I m going to ask the moderator to move it. I hope you subscribed to the thread because we don't email the reply.

If I had to give you a quick answer, I's suggest replacing the video card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-9100-laptop-video-tracing-characters-change-at-random.162078/
Relevancy 24.08%

When i boot up my Dell Inspiron 1545 there are two error messages one saying:

Run DLL
Error loading C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\iwufuloru.dll
The specified module could not be found

and

Run DLL
Error Loading C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\wsLeri.dll
The specified module could not be found

I looked for it through Windows Explorer but there is nothing there. Then in command prompt i tried deleting it, it said the file could not be found.

It isn't causing any defect tot the computer but it is annoying.

Thanks

* That's my sisters name censored not in the actual message

A:Error loading files at startup of Dell Inspiron 1545

I don't believe either is a legitmate file. Update you virus scan and run a full scan of C:\. If that doesn't find anything then update Malwarebytes and run a full scan. If you don't have malwarebytes you can get it at: www.malwarebytes.org.
If you find something and cannot get rid of it, take this to the forum at: http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

It may also be remnants of some program you removed, but I don't think so.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-loading-files-at-startup-of-dell-inspiron-1545.163144/
Relevancy 24.51%

I am wondering if any laptop experts out there can help me. I have an inspiron 120l laptop. The problem i am having is that it turns on fine but when it reaches the xp window to then load up it just stays there and nothing else happens. I am wondering if anyone out there knows what the problem could be or would i have to get a recovery cd to reinstall everything again. Please help.

Speedy

A:Windows XP not loading on Dell Inspiron 120l

Run through this guide to test the hard drive. You will need another PC to make the disk.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/
ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_HUTIL.html

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=enClick to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-not-loading-on-dell-inspiron-120l.162679/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey my new Inspiron 15R which I use for several hours a day, but its only 2 weeks old, every now and then does a long high pitched beep and then clicks, i believe it might be the hdd, should i worry about this?

Fastzr

A:Inspiron 15R does a long beep then click

It definitely doesn't sound normal. If its only two weeks old then its still under warranty so you should talk to dell and see what they can do for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-15r-does-a-long-beep-then-click.162669/
Relevancy 24.08%

Let me start out by saying I am no way computer savvy!
I've read that Inspirons are notorious for having overheating issues. Mine is no acception. It normally would overheat and shut down on me. After cooling off it would boot back up when I turned it on.
Well, yesterday it booted up without any display. The screen was black. I turned it off and tried again. Same thing. I connected an external monitor. No change. I took out the fan and heat sink (read up on how to do that). Blew out 2 massive dust bunnies (should have done that months ago). Turned it on...no change on internal or external monitors. I did hit F8 when I connected the external.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what my next step should be?
I re-posted my issue in this forum. I posted it earlier under the wrong forum. I hope this is the right one.

A:Dell Inspiron 1100 No display - overheating issues

The motherboard is probably fried and will have to be replaced

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1100-no-display-overheating-issues.161043/
Relevancy 24.08%

For about two months now the touchpad on my Dell Inspiron has not worked properly The touchpad does not respond to touch at all nor do the buttons work Additionally the touchpad driver does not show up in Device Manager at all The files do still exist under Dell Drivers though and the application can be found under programs So far I have -uninstalled and re-installed the touchpad driver many times If I remove all files and re-install the drivers and reboot as instructed by the prompts the touchpad will 1420 stopped Inspiron Dell Alps touchpad working usually work until I put the computer to sleep or restart it Then once again Dell Inspiron 1420 Alps touchpad stopped working no response at all The icon in the bottom right of the desktop also disappears as does the driver in device manager The files still exist though in dell drivers and under programs -started the computer in safe mode The Dell Inspiron 1420 Alps touchpad stopped working touchpad works fine anytime I am in safe mode -disabled all programs programs that had that option that run on start up I did this thinking that a start up program was controlling the touchpad since it starts fine in safe mode The Alps driver for the touchpad that should appear under start up programs does not and I have never disabled it when it did show up Stopping all programs that run at start up did nothing to fix the touchpad -I run AVG anti-virus software every day and have run Ad-Aware antispyware multiple times but this seems to have no effect on the touchpad problem At this point I am not sure what to do I don t know if it is a Dell Inspiron 1420 Alps touchpad stopped working virus malware corrupt program or just a program that is controlling the touchpad for some reason Any help on this very frustrating problem would be greatly appreciated Any suggestions Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 1420 Alps touchpad stopped working

Hi,
I am thinking that maybe that is a 64bit, if so then you are having a driver conflict, i suggest that you make sure you have the right drivers from the Dell website for your Laptop, or check you Even viewer logs to see what could be the cause of that problem.
If that isn't the problem, then lets us know...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1420-alps-touchpad-stopped-working.161024/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey, long story short, I need to do some upgrades. Right now the biggest problem I have is that I have a slimmer case that pretty much won't hold anything. So I'm looking for a bigger case so I can do the upgrades I need to do now and whatever I'll need to do in the future. Second biggest problem, tracking down the Inspiron 530/531 case is proving problematic at best. So my question is: Are there any other cases I can easily transfer everything into? Thanks so much in advance.

A:I need a new case for my Inspiron 530s

You can use pretty much any mid-tower case or bigger, but you have two options:

1. You go for a mid-tower or bigger case, and also order a new cooling fan at the same time. Your CPU cooler will be screwed into the backpane of the motherboard tray and will therefore not work in another "normal" case. You will also have to remove the 8 rubber protectors from each side of the 4 CPU cooler mounting holes as well, because aftermarket coolers won't fit otherwise.

2. You purchase a bigger Dell supplied case, and just fit the stuff into it, and then remount the CPU cooler supplied with the original case. You can also use Dell Vostro 420 cases, as they're essentially the same build, just Inspirion is personal use, Vostro business.

I did option 1, and messed up the motherboard, and ended up having to purchase a new motherboard. I'm glad I did though, because I now have a overclocked PC, and its much better than it was before.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-a-new-case-for-my-inspiron-530s.160590/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey. I'm mainly looking to upgrade my video card. Which is pretty much going to require me to upgrade the power supply also. Unless someone throws a video card in my lap that will work on a 250W power supply. The problem I'm running into is this: my tower is too slim for pretty much everything. Dell sells upgrades through their site but I'm wondering if there are other brands that sell something better/cheaper/fitworthy. Thanks in advance.

A:Upgrading power supply and video card for a Dell Inspiron 530s

These use a slimmer PSU if I remember correctly.

Your probably going to need to replace the case to be honest, which will also mean you'll need to replace the CPU cooler, because Dell use a screw-in design, which relies on the tray behind the motherboard having screws to hold the CPU cooler in place.

You could just get a bigger Dell case, pretty much any Inspirion or Vostro case will fit your hardware, plus you can then use a ATX PSU too. That will be your cheapest solution, purely because you only have the case to purchase.

If you want an aftermarket case your going to need the case, and a new CPU cooler, and possibly a new motherboard, dependant on whether you can remove the insulation tabs on each side of the cpu cooler mounting holes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-power-supply-and-video-card-for-a-dell-inspiron-530s.160154/
Relevancy 24.51%

hello, i just bought a Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010) for christmas and a weird bug/glitch has been happening since about a week
this happens with simple stuff, not games
i am attaching a link to a Print Screen picture of the problem: http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8427/graphicsproblem.png
That is suppose to say 'Downloads', but its just some blobs :/

any suggestions to help me out?
I am currently scanning the laptop with Kaspersky looking for any malicious software.

A:Weird graphics glitch on Dell Inspiron 15R

found a solution: upgrade my video drivers and reboot the laptop

sorted

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/weird-graphics-glitch-on-dell-inspiron-15r.159410/
Relevancy 24.94%

I know this is the problem, but I have ZERO clue where to take this to be fixed. Just need some suggestions. It is an older Inspiron, but there was nothing wrong with it when it finally took its last charge.

A:DC Jack broken in Dell Inspiron

Preferably a laptop repair specialist I would guess. You don't want to start messing around with the electricity in a computer unless you know what you're doing. Not sure where you live, but there might be some authorized Dell service places.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dc-jack-broken-in-dell-inspiron.159291/
Relevancy 24.51%

One of my friends laptop is being booting (Vista) Inspiron not 1525 Dell a bit temperamental It s a relatively new Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista Home Premium bit SP installed Anyways the computer turns on normally but when the OS goes to load it gets stuck at a black screen with just the mouse cursor moving around Safe Mode doesn t work and the same thing happens if I select quot Last Good Config that Worked quot I ve seen this problem before with updates but my Dell Inspiron 1525 not booting (Vista) friend said it was working fine and he didn t install anything I popped in the Dell OS disk so I could try a repair recovery but that was unsuccessful as well The setup program didn t detect any problems with the OS and there were no restore points to revert back to I have no idea what the computer is doing when it sits on the black screen There is a little bit of HDD activity here and there but I think that s the normal behavior Any ideas I m sort of at a loss here Thanks in Dell Inspiron 1525 not booting (Vista) advance for any help nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 1525 not booting (Vista)

If I get a Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 OEM disk can I perform a repair install without being able to boot the OS normally? I can't do anything with this computer at the moment--it just sits and does nothing. I slaved the HDD to another system and was able to read and write normally, so it's definitely a problem with Vista. Problem is I have no idea what is causing the computer to hang so I can't pull any errors and startup repair says there's no problems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1525-not-booting-vista.157029/
Relevancy 24.51%

dell inspiron 8600 frying inverters. anybody know why?

A:Dell Inspiron 8600 frying inverters

is it the LCD inverter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-8600-frying-inverters.154925/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a Dell Inspiron m that crashed the other day The blue screen had IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL error code At the time I didn t have time to figure out what was wrong so 640m Inspiron Dell won't boot I shut it down and returned a few hours later to run diagnostics However when I tried to boot it up it wouldn t load past the Dell loading screen and Dell Inspiron 640m won't boot I couldn t access diagnostics I turned off and tried it again and now it won t boot anything All I have is a black screen The CD drive and fan will click on for a second and then immediately turn off I tried running the reinstallation disk but nothing but black screen Someone told me to try taking the battery out and reseating it so I did that this morning and now it is still not booting up black screen and I have a new problem This time the fan and power light came on when I tried to start it but when I tried to shut it down I can t get it to shut off Holding the power button does not work The fan has been running for about hours today with no signs of stopping I unplugged it thinking the battery would die and at least shut the fan off but the battery should have died by now and it is still running I don t want to do any further damage if that s possible at this stage so can someone help Some background information on this computer This is the th time this year that it has crashed The last time the tech installed a brand new hard drive That was about mo ago and it has been running fine until the other day I have already put a ton of money into it and don t really want to invest anymore in a lost cause Should I just give up and plan on buying a new laptop or can this one be saved Thanks nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 640m won't boot

Remove the hard drive and see if the laptop will start up normally to the point of hard drive detection. If it does, the hard drive is bad, once again

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-640m-wont-boot.154515/
Relevancy 24.08%

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 1501 that works fine on Battery Pwr but when you plug in the AC charger to run it, the screen goes black with no warning. Unplugging the AC pwr does not return the screen. He must reboot the computer to get it back up. Any ideas on what could be causing? We have checked all the power settings and sleep settings and everything seems to be fine. Help!

A:Black screen on Dell Inspiron 1501 on AC Power

Try another AC adapter

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-on-dell-inspiron-1501-on-ac-power.153767/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello I am new here and came across this forum while googling for tips on getting my Dell Inspiron fixed This forum seems very helpful from what i ve read and so I thought I should post my problem to see if anyone can suggest a solution to me I recently was watching a video file on my laptop when the computer just shut down When I try to reboot now I get an error message saying quot Internal HDD Hard error Strike the F key to continue F to run the setup utility quot When I hit F with my windows install disk in the CD-rom drive I get an error saying that there is no Hard Disk Drive recognized and to make sure that the Hard Drive is powered on etc I thought that maybe my hard drive had died on me so I purchased a new hard drive and it is the same exact problem still occuring Any tips or links on what I might need to do would be very helpful Thanks for your time nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 6000 - internal HDD

Most Dells have a diagnostics program (F12 at boot).
Run the tests and see what they say.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6000-internal-hdd.153217/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a Dell Inspiron that was dropped about a year ago and it hasn t really been right since The d c jack was loose after the fall and it eventually got to where it wouldn t power up at DC jack AC after on not working repair Inspiron Dell all I sent Dell Inspiron not working on AC after DC jack repair it out to a shop that specializes in D C jack repairs and it came back Dell Inspiron not working on AC after DC jack repair after presumably being repaired The battery was totally charged when I got it back and the machine did start up with Dell Inspiron not working on AC after DC jack repair the A C adapter plugged in However it got as far as the screen with the Windows XP logo and the screen went blank although the battery light was still on I tried starting it back up again without the A C adapter This time it booted up like it was supposed to and reached the desktop but was running very sluggishly When I plugged the A C adapter back in the screen went blank once again I m beginning to wonder if the problem was totally a d c jack issue or if horrors it s a motherboard issue It does still seem to be charging with the A C adapter Any thoughts nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron not working on AC after DC jack repair

I'd say it is likely the fall did more damage than just to the jack. The jack was something easy to see but internally there could more damage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-not-working-on-ac-after-dc-jack-repair.152113/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi all,

I have Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. When I try to switch it on, it doesn't go on. The green led indicator in its charger is flashing when it's plugged in, but when I unplug it from laptop the green led doesn't flash. What is the problem? Is it huge problem to fix? Can anyone help, please?

Regards

Thomas

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1300-turning-on-problems.153049/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that has completely died. I'm not sure what happened to it exactly, as there is not evidence of a drop or a spill, but there are no signs of life whatsoever. I took the battery out, and plugged in the adapter. I know the adapter works fine as the little green light comes on when it's plugged in, and I tried it in another laptop in which it worked. When I hit the power button nothing happens. No lights turn on, or flash, no sounds are made...nothing. It's lifeless. I was thinking about just hitting eBay and ordering a new motherboard, but does anyone know if this is the right thing to do? I don't have the $100 bucks to throw down without being certain so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

A:Dell Inspiron 1525

That is a model with a history of many complete failures... How old is it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1525.151143/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi,

weird problem- does anyone have the drop down dell dock program in their windows 7? I was using the webcam and closed out of it but it says " dell dock has encountered a problem and needs to close" yet, it wont. and it goes through this cycling of showing pop up of send error report or dont send. failing to really shut down and load.

i tried task manager, run>services.msc to no avail.

any suggestions from those who are familiar with said crappy dell dock and how i can get it to load on my desktop again would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dock-not-functioning-at-windows-startup-on-inspiron-mini-netbook.152601/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a Dell inspiron 1545 that is still under warranty. The keyboard has been a problem for me because all of a sudden the f7 and the Y keys don't work at all.Should I try to get it fixed somehow myself, or would Dell replace the keyboard?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1545-keyboard.152526/
Relevancy 23.65%

I apologize in advance if this topic is not in the right forum I am having serious issues with my Dell Inspiron with XP bit Media Center Edition I bought a Seagate Inspiron crashed... crash motherboard also? 1520 drive did Dell hard gb rpm hard drive about months ago and got a message this morning saying quot read failure on internal hard drive quot I am pretty sure it died as I ve slaved the hard drive to another computer and it s not being recognized but the motor is still going On to my main question here How Dell Inspiron 1520 hard drive crashed... did motherboard crash also? do I know that it s not the motherboard that has gone out I ve been having problems here lately with my quickset drivers as well as my video card drivers but I thought that problem had been resolved I ve also been infected with countless virus s and trojans as of late even though I have anti-virus programs malware programs I had the quot google redirect Dell Inspiron 1520 hard drive crashed... did motherboard crash also? quot for the past month and was finally able to get it off just Saturday My motherboard crashed about years ago and was replaced under warranty I ve read that the motherboards in this particular model are crap I am worried about my motherboard as I put another hard drive in the computer and I just kept getting BDOSs but it was too fast for me to see an error code This hard drive is configured for Vista bit and is for a different model Dell and different motherboard so I am not sure if that would make it not work My second question would be if I had to replace my motherboard would I have to go back with OEM equipment or could I upgrade it and how would I go about seeing what is compatible Any help is much appreciated as I am not so great with hardware problems nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 1520 hard drive crashed... did motherboard crash also?

There's no reason to think it's the board.
Did you make a warranty claim on the drive?
Did you install XP on the replacement drive, or just try to use it as is? A repair install may solve the problem, but a clean install would be better.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1520-hard-drive-crashed-did-motherboard-crash-also.152240/
Relevancy 24.94%

I ll start this off by saying I know very little about computers My dell inspiron laptop got stepped on the other day When I opened it up i noticed the screen badly cracked and the following message appeared Internalt for multi core processors will be disabled No bootable devices--strike f to retry boot f for setup utility press Inspiron Dell no devices bootable f to run onboard diagnostics Upon first trying to run onboard diagnostics it would work well for about ten minutes tell me they had discovered no issues but then ask if i wanted it to keep checking farther After checking farther the process would run Dell Inspiron no bootable devices for hours without yielding a conclusion After hearing that wasn t a good sign I tried to install an old version of windows xp It seemed like it was reading the disk and after about five minutes it informed me it was going to try to start running windows Then a message came up on the screen reading A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer From people who I have talked to it seems like the laptop is beyond repair I was just wondering if anyone could confirm this or offer any other suggestions nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-no-bootable-devices.152026/
Relevancy 24.51%

im having laptops issues and i woke up this morning and my laptop was still on overnight and i see a black screen and it says

"windowns could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl. exe.

please re install a copy of the above file above."

i have a dell inspiron e1505

its a pretty commun laptop and i got 1 problem. i dont have any discs or windows disks or even reboot discs. i hope there is a way we can resolve this problem without disks.

thanks alot community!

A:Dell Inspiron E1505 black screen

tttttttttttttttt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-e1505-black-screen.151939/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi I am new to this site I hope I may eventually be able to contribute something as well A friend gave me a dead laptop that she thought might be repairable When I plug in my Dell Inspiron to the AC outlet the battery charging light comes on That s it Nothing else comes on The power light does not come on When I turn it on some lights dimly flicker but that s it No whirring of the hard drive Nothing Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong I did research this a little before posting this I don t believe it s the power receptacle Inspiron on laptop haven't power solution won't found Dell since the led for the battery comes on seems like power is flowing through the jack it s just that nothing else works I tried removing the battery and holding the Dell Inspiron laptop won't power on haven't found solution pwer on for secs etc then reinstalling the battery but that didn t do anything Any help would be very much appreciated Thanks Dan nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-laptop-wont-power-on-havent-found-solution.151950/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi I have been working on a Dell Inspiron S and am unable to get the video and now audio drivers loaded and working correctly Here s the deal According to the Dell tag info online this cpu uses either the onboard Nvidia nforce SE n video card or an ATI Pro There is no external video card so the Nvidia should be right This is confirmed by programs like HWinfo However someone did install ATI catalyst software at some earlier point At first only the video card driver was not loaded properly and so Vista Home Premium -bit was in VGA-compatible mode I tried to load NVIDIA Nforce WHQL drivers for Vista -bit which completed without errors Upon rebooting though I could see in Device Manager that the drivers didn t take I have also tried Dell s recommended R an executable that loads Nvidia s MCP ver Dell audio not Realtek drivers Nvidia and working Inspiron on video A drivers and no matter what I do Device Manager says I now have an Nvidia video and Realtek audio drivers not working on Dell Inspiron unknown device or a VGA-compatible display adapter Unloading and reinstalling did not help I noticed SP was not loaded so tried installing it to see if that would help It loaded no problem but then I saw as another update a Realtek audio driver update I let it load and now have no audio I have tried both Dell s recommended Realtek driver R which is for the ALC HD audio device and loads Realtek s R audio drivers and a newer R version for Vista that I got from Realtek s site Both install fine but rebooting results in Device Manager disabling the Realtek device If I enable it it wants to reinstall drivers But doing so either fails when trusting Windows to do it because it says I already have the correct drivers OR I can load them reboot and find the process happening all over again It always tells me there is no audio output device installed So far I have updated the BIOS run Driver Sweeper to clean out all ATI and NVIDIA display and physix drivers as well as all sound-related drivers and tried the above in Safe Mode as well Nothing works I am at a loss Both devices are acting as if they are disabled somehow but I see no reason for it in the BIOS or anywhere else Ugh This is very frustrating If anyone can help I would really appreciate it Thanks nbsp

A:Nvidia video and Realtek audio drivers not working on Dell Inspiron

Sounds like to me a fresh installment of Windows vista would help you out the most.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-video-and-realtek-audio-drivers-not-working-on-dell-inspiron.151717/
Relevancy 24.51%

guys i have a inspiron e laptop with windows vista ultimate original from nearly months sometimes a new desktop screen with windows classic theme appears n some times net connection is also disabled n when i try to refresh the page it shows the location is unavailable i have a bit defender original antivirus n it never showed any virus but i had a small doubt that this is because of virus so i tried to reinstall vista whenever i tried to boot the system with the dvd nothin happened and the system booted in the normal way i checked the boot options everything was alright so i tried to install after loading windows even then most of the time the dvd drive wasn t reading the dvd n showed no disc the dvd is in perfect condition with not even a single scratch n its working fine in all other laptops on top of that all other dvds are working fine n the prob is only with the windows dvd this made me think that the virus is preventing me from installing windows sometimes the vista dvd worked but once i try to select the location where to install windows it shows nothing to doesnt laptop Inspiron start e1505 select n something like no location is available so finally i removed the hard disk n formatted it by connecting to the usb port of another laptop using some connector n again placed in my laptop n tried to install vista again this time it showed boot manager missing n the dvd never loaded earlier once in a while it worked now everything is gone this is my mom s laptop n she s very angry now i need to get it to working condition soon i m feeling very bad what exactly is the prob with my laptop Inspiron e1505 laptop doesnt start and how can i rectify it can some one help Inspiron e1505 laptop doesnt start me plzzzzzzzzz much thanks nitin nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-e1505-laptop-doesnt-start.151812/
Relevancy 24.51%

Can somebody help me please!!!! i have a dell inspiron 8600 laptop and the problem is that i turned it on and the image of the screen was not so good ,then i turned it off and when i tried to turn it on again i didn't work...i mean the laptop was on but with no image !!!!!!what do u think is the problem guys????

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-8600-power-problem.151775/
Relevancy 24.51%

A few days back a thick pink band started appearing on my dell lcd This caused my pictures to appear bad but i was still using the laptop A few days later the laptop screen started displaying poor artifacts flickering and blanked out after a while All through when connected to an external montor the display was perfect Today i replaced the LCD inverter and video cable Dell LCD flicker Inspiron E1505/6400 with those i pulled from another working inspiron e my friend s While the pink band is gone on my Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 LCD flicker e the poor display artifact flicker and blanking out continues When i boot up the Dell logo will appear some times and the display will flicker all the way till i land on the page where i select the log in user Once i select the user and land on the desktop and after a while the Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 LCD flicker screen will blank out All through the picture i seen on the lcd is of poor quality The display is perfect on external monitor even now Here are some details about my laptop Windows Home Premum -Version Build about a year back upgraded from xp professsional Processor Genuine Intel R CPU T GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version NVidia GeForce Go display adapter The old LCD was an AU OPTRONICS B EW LCD The new LCD is a Samsung taken from my friends e I have checked the connections multiple times Please let me know what could be causing the poor lcd display Should i be using the old inverter connected to the faulty lcd instead of the one that come attached with the working lcd Should i reinstall my OS from an old image As mentioned the LCD inverter and video cables are from a perfectly working laptop running XP media center os Any help is very much appreciated nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 LCD flicker

I replaced my nVidia 7300 graphics adapter with ATI X1300. This fixed the flicker issue. Now the laptop works great !!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-e1505-6400-lcd-flicker.150289/
Relevancy 24.08%

Usage:
1) Connect to plasma tv using hdmi output & watch online videos from youtube etc.
2) Go online thru free public wi-fi like hotel rooms, McDonald etc.
3) Later go online from anywhere (Cars etc) by buying data plan from AT&T etc.

Plz comment on Inspiron M101z for my usage type.
What other options do I have in this category?
Thanks.

$549

1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty
Microsoft Office Starter 2010
McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0
AMD Athlon II Neo K325 (Dual Core,1.3GHz,2MB Cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Edition
4GB DDR3 SoDIMM at 800MHz, 2x2GB DIMM
320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
11.6'' High Definition Truelife WLED (1366x786)
Combo 802.11n 1x1 with Bluetooth 3.0 HMC
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
AMD RS880 Integrated Graphics

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdmi-netbook-dell-inspiron-m101z-for-my-usage-type.151680/
Relevancy 24.94%

hi .. Can some one help me find the EEPROM in inspiron 1545 MB and what pins to short to reset it??

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/eeprom-for-inspiron-1545.151481/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi Any ideas on this issue would be really appreciated as i have no idea where to start Since a 510m Dell screen to black boots Inspiron few days ago every time I power on my laptop it displays the initial dell screen a loading bar fills up and then Dell Inspiron 510m boots to black screen the Dell Inspiron 510m boots to black screen screen goes black At this point the Windows XP SP loading screen would normally appear but the screen stays black indefinitely Note that it looks black in the way that screens look black when they are on but not displaying anything and not like when it is powered down I had a lot of hard drive failures earlier this year so replaced the drive in May for a new Toshiba one but has been running really well since then In my experience hard drive failures give me an error screen and not the nothingness I am currently experiencing If it points to anything the battery warning light has recently started flashing but the laptop is currently plugged in I have an auxiliary battery in the optical drive bay and the main worn out battery was lasting for about mins the day prior to this failure Again any thoughts would be much appreciated as I can normally get thing sorted once they have been diagnosed Many thanks in advance for your help Lewis Moore nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 510m boots to black screen

Update:
I loaded the boot menu and tried to boot from a windows CD to run diagnostics/repair but the boot failed in a similar fashion to that described above.

I ran pre-boot diagnostics from the boot menu and they all came back fine, it suggested running an extended diagnostics by booting from a dell drivers and utilities CD. Boot failed again.

I tried, however to boot to a linux live CD (Kubuntu 6.0), and the laptop happily booted to the live CD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-510m-boots-to-black-screen.151007/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi Everyone I m having some weird problems with my Dell Inspiron laptop While using my laptop I got a quot paged wavy Windows, startup, not blue 9400 on Dell Weird Inspiron lines loading fault in nonpaged area quot blue screen and it just died When it booted Weird wavy blue lines on startup, not loading Windows, Dell Inspiron 9400 back up the screen was covered in weird wavy blue dots These disappeared when the windows vista progress bar was loading but it never Weird wavy blue lines on startup, not loading Windows, Dell Inspiron 9400 even gets to the log in screen I thought it might be windows so I tried the dual boot of Ubuntu and that didn t get Weird wavy blue lines on startup, not loading Windows, Dell Inspiron 9400 to the log in screen either I then tried reformatting the computer and I could boot to CD and install windows But then after rebooting I get the same wavy dots stripes across the screen They go away when the progress bar comes up loading vista but once again the screen goes blank and windows vista log in fails to load I ve tried the dell diagnostics and all the parts pass - so I m not quite sure what the problem is The laptop itself is about years old Its a Dell Inspiron Intel Centrino Duo processor nVidia GS graphics card Any help would be much appreciated Cheers Nelson nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/weird-wavy-blue-lines-on-startup-not-loading-windows-dell-inspiron-9400.151383/
Relevancy 24.08%

Have a laptop and I'm trying to decide which part is causing this problem. If the laptop is powered sits for a while (hours), the display works fine for about 60 seconds and then goes very dark. I can barely make out the image but it's there.

External monitor works fine so it doesn't appear to be the video adapter. I've narrowed it down to the inverter or the CCFL. Both are pretty cheap to buy but the inverter seems to be easier to replace.

Is there an easy way to tell which is causing the problem?

A:Dell Inspiron 600m - screen goes dark after about 60 seconds

Most likely the inverter or a faulty connection to the inverter or CCFL tube

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-600m-screen-goes-dark-after-about-60-seconds.151313/