Windows Support Forum

Non admin users cannot logon to the domain on Windows 7 wks

Q: Non admin users cannot logon to the domain on Windows 7 wks

Hi guys, i have a problem, i'm not sure if this issue has been raised or what but here is my problem.My environment:2003 Domain controllerFile and Print server WSUS ServerSQL ServerWindows XP wks2 new Windows 7 wksWhat happens is that when i try to logon to the domain on the win7 machine as a std user i get error"You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer"If i logon with the domain admin account i'm able to logon and also if i make users members of domain admins they are able to logon to the domain. I realy do not believe that this is the way to go because it compromises my network security. Any help will be gladly appreciated.Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Non admin users cannot logon to the domain on Windows 7 wks

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Non admin users cannot logon to the domain on Windows 7 wks

Symptom: When trying to logon a computer using non administrator ID, you may receive this message: "You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer. Please see you network administrator for more details."
Case 1: Group Policy' "Allow log on locally" was not setup to allow users or domain users. To setup allow users or domain users to logon the computer or domain, you need to add the users or domain users to the "Allow log on locally". Please follow these steps to add the users.

1. Run gpedit.msc.2. Expand Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies3. Click on User Rights Assignment4. Ensure that "Allow log on locally" includes Administrators, BackupOperators, Domain Users or Users.

Case 2: Group Policy' "Deny log on locally" was setup to deny users or domain users. To setup allow users or domain users to logon the computer or domain locally, "Deny log on locally" should be empty or no users or domain users in the list. Please follow these steps to remove the users or domain users from the "Deny log on locally".

1. Run gpedit.msc.2. Expand Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies3. Click on User Rights Assignment4. Ensure that "Deny log on locally" is empty.

Case 3: The local group policy allow user to logon. However, domain group policy which overrides local policy doesn't allow users to logon locally. The resolution is modify the domain policy to allow users to logon locally.

Case 4: The domain policy allows domain users to logon locally, but the local policy doesn't and the domain policy doesn't apply to the computer. The fix is running gpupdate to force to update the domain policy.
Case 5: Norton Firewall blocks the communication between the client and domain controller. The solution is disabling Norton firewall or re-configuring it to allow to access the domain controller.MCSE, MCSA, MCDST
[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0f750de8-d56e-4951-a2b1-839e55934745/non-admin-users-cannot-logon-to-the-domain-on-windows-7-wks?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 89.87%

Our Windows Domain Cannot 7 Admin Update Users w/o computer network was Windows XP Pro We upgraded the computers to Windows Pro Under XP users were allowed to update without any problems With Windows it prompts for an administrator account The computers already have checked quot Allow all users to install updates on this computer quot However it does indicate on that same screen at the top quot Some settings are managed by your system Windows 7 Domain Users Cannot Update w/o Admin Administrator quot Currently Windows 7 Domain Users Cannot Update w/o Admin it's wanting to install the monthly malware tool but is unable to do so without domain admin's credentials What I'm Windows 7 Domain Users Cannot Update w/o Admin baffled with is that this worked under the WinXP systems but not Win systems Server did not change anything Win Server w active directory Might there be some group policy on the server that wouldn't allow Win computers when WinXP computers worked Or is there something beyond the quot Who can install updates quot option on the computers locally All computers on the network experience this same problem Thank you for any suggestions and taking the time to read this

A:Windows 7 Domain Users Cannot Update w/o Admin

There's an option switch in WU which allows standard users to install updates - it sounds as if it's not been correctly toggled. Check the GPs and see if you can find it in there somewhere.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/340711-windows-7-domain-users-cannot-update-w-o-admin.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi All,

No concept of domain all are in workgroup mode. All user accounts are with local admin privilege, any suggestion how to restrict the user from full admin rights. I had tried using power users but some IE applications (Oracle / Java Applet) does not function properly where it installs Jinitator. Is their any possibility of modifying the Local security policy and restrict the user from FULL access and limited to their applications.

Thanks & Regards,
Kiran.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restrict-users-from-full-admin-rights-in-windows-xp-not-in-domain-491037.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi All,

No concept of domain all are in workgroup mode. All user accounts are with local admin privilege, any suggestion how to restrict the user from full admin rights. I had tried using power users but some IE applications (Oracle / Java Applet) does not function properly where it installs Jinitator. Is their any possibility of modifying the Local security policy and restrict the user from FULL access and limited to their applications.
Waiting for a positive response.

Thanks & Regards,
Kiran.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restrict-users-from-full-admin-rights-in-windows-xp-not-in-domain.929964/
Relevancy 86.43%

I have PCs sitting in a shared area and I would like to prevent users from different domain to logon to my computers. How do I do that with GPO? I searched internet and they suggested "Deny logon locally" I don't think that applies to
my case. Said, my users from DomainOne, I don't want users from DomainTwo, DomainThree, etc to logon and use my department computers.
Thanks,

Thang Mo

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4ad51073-6c7d-4595-bc51-d9272422f34d/how-to-prevent-users-from-different-domain-to-logon-my-domain-pc?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi, how can i grant local computer admin rights to the domain users on the same computer? Please help, thanks.

Relevancy 80.84%

Hi, how can i grant local computer admin rights to the domain users on the same computer? Please help, thanks.

Relevancy 80.84%

hello,
Basicaly what i need is a software witch can provide a list with domain users currently logged in and the computer name. .... and maybe the time of login. And if the software is freeware, it's perfect.
Can anyone tell me the name of such software ?

A:Domain users logon monitor tool

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article...o-is-currently-logged-on-to-your-domain-.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-users-logon-monitor-tool.956910/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hey all I have recently installed Windows on my development machine at work primarily in order to test it and get a feel for it and all the little things that can go wrong before the IT department I work for roll it out to all the other employees at the company They're still on XP SP Unfortunately I'm experiencing several crippling issues caused by admin super and the Domain users account the stricter administration Domain users and the super admin account model used in Windows and Vista for that matter compared to Windows XP We have programs crashing or refusing to install or run because they were designed for XP and require admin rights So when they're unable to acquire them from Windows the programs throw exceptions An example of this is Trend Micro OfficeScan a popular antivirus program used in many companies This program is caused to install by start-up scripts that are run when you log on to your computer using your domain username and credentials but the installer crashes because the domain user is not a local super admin And that's the core of this question I want my domain user to have full administrative privileges I've done a lot of research on this particular problem and I realize it's possible to activate a special super admin-account that has full access to everything on the computer but that workaround doesn't cut it for me because the only thing that accomplishes is to make the super admin account available for login but the super admin account is not a domain user at my company's network it is a local user It doesn't have access to the company's network resources and therefore it is useless to me What I want is for my domain user and credentials to have super admin privileges Is that possible in Windows I am essentially looking for a way to elevate any user of a system to have the same privileges as the super admin account I realize this is a potential security risk because everybody and everything has access to installing everything on the system but frankly the amount of software that Windows 's security model causes to malfunction due to too strict security features is too high a price to pay In many cases it corresponds to pulling the network cable out of the wall Sure you won't get attacked by malware but you won't get any work done either Any and all help appreciated

A:Domain users and the super admin account

Due to the Dual token design of the security model in use you will have issues with applications designed for the older model.

The solution to this need not be an all or nothing one however, It should be possible to give the required installer rights to the user group(s) concerned, directly.

This may be done universally to the complete program files folder(s) or more usefully to individual folders for the older problem apps.

I have seen situations where a non working older program can be made to work/Install by the granting a standard user full access rights to a single settings file or to the installation folder.

Depending on what you desire as a company you can make some groups allowed to install some software or not just by the application of the correct rights, In a domain environment this is of course a lot easier than a peer to peer set up.

Unfortunately due to the developers taking the easy way out with regards to administrative rights with XP there will be some re-thinking required by those tasked with moving to a more secure modern OS. This is quite possible though there will be a learning curve.

The main issue with application installation is not the need for a "super" admin but the "trusted user" used by UAC to protect the Program store. by taking ownership of the role of this "User" most if not all issues may be resolved.

Full information on the Trusted Installer scenario is available from Microsoft on technet - or of course by many independents

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/24035-domain-users-super-admin-account.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I am having a strange problem on a Windows XP system that is on the domain. I installed Windows XP on this system and added my group as administrator and created a local admin ID. The user was ok and able to use his system but then after a reboot was unable to logon to his system using his cached domain acct. and I was unable to logon using the admin id. Has anyone seen this before? If so or not any ideas on how to fix it remotely.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-logon-using-cached-domain-acct-or-local-admin.408861/
Relevancy 78.26%

DC: Win Server 2003
Laptops: Win7 Pro

When joining a set of laptops to the domain it prompts for domain admin credentials and appears to be successful, but gives an error of 'Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to " " failed. The name will remain domain.local
The error was:

The RPC Server is unavailable.

When attempting to add Domain Users to the local administrators group:
Windows cannot process the object with the name "domain users" because of the following error:
The RPC server is unavailable.
This happens even when wired on the network. I have tried uncommenting the localhost line in HOSTS, and manually adding the DNS server (which is also the DC).

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

A:RPC error adding domain users to local admin group

Have you checked the RPC service on the server? Manually stop and restart it as well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/451145/rpc-error-adding-domain-users-to-local-admin-group/
Relevancy 65.79%

Has there been any custom Windows 7 domain login screens or just the typical ones. My point is this: In windows XP-pro when logging on to a pc that has join the domain you see one screen with username/ password / domains. However in windows 7 one can switch users. this is confusing to inexperience, young and elderly computer users. Does anyone know of custom screens within Microsoft or third party?

A:Windows 7 domain logon

The below is a quote from Tech Support Forum. I think that this is what you are looking for.

If you have Pro or Ultimate, open the Group Policy Editor "gpedit.msc" and navigate to the following policy.
Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options.
In the right-hand pane double click the policy:

Interactive logon: Do not display last user name - Change to Enabled.

If you have the Home Premium version, you can set this policy using the registry.

*Make sure you back up the Key before making any changes.*

Open Regedit and navigate to the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right side pane, look for the Value dontdisplaylastusername. Double click this value and change the Value Data to 1.

If this value is not present, right click and select New/DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name the value dontdisplaylastusername and make the change noted above. Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-domain-logon.1076492/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a Windows 7 PC that is part of a domain, when the user goes to login, they hit CTRL-ALT+DELETE, then choose the profile to login to (Last known user / other user). In Windows XP, the login window would come up with the last know user name without hitting C+A+D.. I am not worried about the C+A+D, I do however want to get rid of showing the other user, have the login displaying the user name and password field after C+A+D. So not having to click on the profile first, then typing in the user password.

Make sense?

Thanks,

A:Initial logon Windows 7 - AD domain

Take a look here

Enable or disable secure logon (CTRL+ALT+DELETE)

You could also do this in Group Policies

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/301038-initial-logon-windows-7-ad-domain.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

I try Windows 7 with our environnement which is based on Windows 2003 SBS.

I have created a user on this server and i try to connect my test computer on this domain.

It recognizes the domain.

I have created the username on my PC with the short method (user in control pannel) and with ProfWiz. User is recognized too.

I restart the PC and i try to connect with the correct user. Username and password are correctly checked but i have already the message 'You have been logged with a temporary file'. Then a can't really organize the PC.

Someone can help me ??

Thanks and regards.

PS : I'm not englishspeaker then sorry for the message and fauts.

A:Windows 7, users and Domain

Quote: Originally Posted by EricF

'You have been logged with a temporary file'. Then a can't really organize the PC.

Hello and welcome.

Why not log on as a local user to configure the PC (rather than a domain user)?

If you want to log in as a domain user then you should first create that user on the domain controller.

Can you attach a screenshot of the user profiles? (computer > properties > advanced > user profiles > settings)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/28721-windows-7-users-domain.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Can anyone help, this is turning out to be a nightmare.

Got an image ready and use sysprep to add the PC to the domain and use the copy profile set to YES to make all users use the default profile...

The profile is around 100MB which isn't so bad judging by the amount of software we have on there.

But when logging in as any domain user, the windows 7 screen displays the Welcome screen for well over 6 minutes....

I've checked the Event Log on the Windows 7 PC and it says the following in the Application Log.... "The winlogon notification subscriber <gpclient> is taking long time to handle the notification event (logon)"

Event ID 6005
Locale ID 2057

Any ideas?????

Thanks in advance
Sharpy

A:Windows 7 Domain Logon takes 6 minutes

Try in safe mode
If that works, use a clean boot
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/109909-windows-7-domain-logon-takes-6-minutes.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Ok - Hoping someone can help out with this I had with Immediate Domain) Windows 7 Logoff Logon (2008 AD a perfectly running Windows Server with laptops Windows Domain Users Only problem was the the Server Enterprise was an upgrade from which left a lot of artifacts on the server Since this was a home install I figured good time to wipe the server and have a Windows 7 Logon with Immediate Logoff (2008 AD Domain) 'clean' R Windows 7 Logon with Immediate Logoff (2008 AD Domain) install I had several backups on an external TB drive so I was set Also good opportunity to learn more about the new Windows Backup from a recovery standpoint Ran install from DVD wiped drive resetup the entire server GREAT Only had a few accounts groups so reset them up manually then restored all my GPOs users shared files and folders and profiles SERVERNAME PROFILES Again so far GREAT Now to the clients - Several Windows laptops not so great - all had each of the users' roaming profiles loaded so thought I could just login and everything would be working no I mean I had the same server name IP file structure etc etc NO Had to rejoin all the PCs to the Domain - Ok no biggy for PCs So onto the current problem On any laptop any domain user Windows logs in Preparing Desktop then immediately logs out - back to the user password screen any Laptop any User - same deal If I create a new user profile i e blow away both the lt lt username gt gt and lt lt username V gt gt folders on the server and let the OS recreate everything is fine Well I don't want to blow away profiles wiping out all user and application settings for PCs that ran just fine before the exercise Interesting the laptops will start absolutely perfect in quot Safe Mode with Networking quot I get all the settings GPOs applied folders redirect and all is happy Just can't log in quot Normal quot on any machine for any user Also tried MSCONFIG - disabled EVERYTHING - still logon immediate logoff The only thing that gets a Domain user logged in is choosing any flavor of Safe Mode from the F menu So I can get to the registry just can't figure out what the heck is different I am and advanced tech so this may take some feedback from more advanced techs to fix I tried the USERINIT and other stuff with no luck - again a newly created profile will work just fine safe mode safe with networking work just fine just cannot process a normal logon Any help with where a possible log might be to get a clue would be good also Thanks guys gals P S did try disabling all GPOs not many of those anyway just the standard set you'd expect

A:Windows 7 Logon with Immediate Logoff (2008 AD Domain)

An ideal place to try Process Monitor and it's logging feature.
The log can become huge - so be careful!

First run it normally to see if it logs anything of note in the short time between logon and logoff.
If that doesn't work we'll have to find the instructions to have it run on boot.

It's free here: Process Monitor

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/72459-windows-7-logon-immediate-logoff-2008-ad-domain.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello

I have a problem and it is that I must log on vpn server before I log on the domain

in windows xp I can tick the "Log on using dial-up connection"
http://www.nsnetwork.dk/billed1

how do I do this in windows vista / 7

kind regards

dcedata

i am not that good in english :-( so please be

A:windows 7 logon a domain controller through a vpn server

Hello,
in internet explorer>tools (top right corner)>internet options>connections tab>add vpn

hope this helps, good luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-logon-a-domain-controller-through-a-vpn-server-552461.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi,

I have a domain joined windows 7pro (64bit) not able to connect to shared folder on a non domain joined pc with windows 7pro (32bit). Only public folders are accessible. I get a do not have permission message, I tried adding the domain\user to share permissions but domain is not recognized on the non domain-joined pc.

Does my domain admin have access to the homegroup and the shared folders on the home pc?

What are my options for access to a non public secure folder on the non domain pc from the domain joined pc.

Sorry for the awkward description, don't know how else to describe the situation.

my apologies if these questions were addressed elsewhere, I could not find any relevant threads.

Thanks

A:Domain joined pc, does domain admin have access to my homegroup

Hi Takatso, welcome to sevenforums. As I read you post, it looks like you are logged into your domain joined PC as a domain user is this correct? If so, your PC will be treated as acting as a part of the domain. If you then try and connect to another pc at home, there will be a problem as your home pc is not recognised by the domain pc as part of the domain. You should set yourself up a user account on the domain pc whilst it is NOT connected to the domain, login to the new account whilst not on the domain and then try sharing the folders with the non-domain pc.

No, your does not have access on the home computer as they are part of the domain and not the homegroup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/168990-domain-joined-pc-does-domain-admin-have-access-my-homegroup.html
Relevancy 64.07%

We have a script that installs a program (Office 2007). It then imports some registry file settings. It imports HKLM and HKCU. We have noticed that if this is installed as a local admin, the settings seem to take if we scan the box as a local admin(we are running a security scan to determine this (the security scan checks multiple gpo's supposed to be set by the program/reg imports). If we scan as a domain admin, the system doesn't seem to show they are set. We believe we see the opposite if it's installed as a domain admin. For the domain scan they are set, for the local scan they are not. Does this have to do with how you can change registry entries as a domain admin versus local admin? The registry settings are imported with reg.exe import filename.reg like commands in the .bat script. Any ideas are helpful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gpo-settings-reg-files-local-admin-versus-domain-admin.984826/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi,

I have a Windows Server 2008 Native Domain to which all my Windows 7 Ultimate (32 and 64bits) machines are connected.
On the Win 7 machines, when we press CTRL+ALT+DEL, we have a large icon representing the last person who logged on. But some of these machines are shared among 3 users and I would love to be able to display all 3 logon icons instead of just the last one.
If I install Windows 7 on a Virtual Machine and NOT on a domain but rather in a workgroup, then just adding new local users automatically makes their login icons appears. But it doesn't seem to work as soon as I'm connected to a domain and want to add just 3 domain accounts.

Any help ?

Thanks in advance

Jack

A:Multiple Logon Icons in a Domain connected Windows 7

When adding windows 7 to a domain it no longer allows you to use the icons to log in. as you have noticed, you are required to type the domain and user name in for each user. This is for added protection to prevent anyone seeing what domains the computer are connected to.

From my understanding there is no way to change this at this time.

-AF

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/32090-multiple-logon-icons-domain-connected-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi,

Since last week, when we try to logon our Windows 7 computers (at domain) with an user that never has been logged on this computer we receive the following error:

The user profile Service failed the logon. Cannot be loaded the user profile.

I looked for a solution in Google, but it's not in relation with Profilelist on regedit (because this user has never logged on the computer).

It did not happen with local users, only domain ones.

Can you help me?

Thanks,
Regards,

A:Error in Logon on Windows 7 x86 on domain Cannot load profile

Is this one machine or all/some of them?
Does your old domain accounts keep working on the problem PC/s? Is the time synchronized with the DC?

DNS issue perhaps? Does Security event log show any failure audits? How about System logs?

Also, would this help? https://chentiangemalc.wordpress.com...led-the-logon/ It talks about CEIP (Customer Experience Improvement Program), now these days it is active due to Windows 10. Maybe you have Windows 10 updates interfering? For a list of such updates, see How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8

- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.10).aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/381555-error-logon-windows-7-x86-domain-cannot-load-profile.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, logging on to SBS 2008. This only affects 1 user (me!) on 1 computer. I can logon to the same PC as another domain user, logs in within a 2 seconds. I can logon to another machine that I use a lot, instant.
Very little in startup, pretty sure that nothing starts for this user that doesn't start for other users.
So it looks like it's my user profile, rather than DNS, blank screen background or domain policy loading slowly.
I know I can probably solve this by deleting my local profile, but that would mean setting up all my applications again.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Andrew

A:Windows 7 slow logon to domain - only one user, one computer

You may check Event Log and see if there is any error messages. If no errors are found, you can only recreate your user profile. If you do not want to lose the program data, you may try to back up the AppData folder before deleting the problematic profile,
and then replace the same folder of the new created profile with it.Please remember to click ?Mark as Answer? on the post that helps you, and to click ?Unmark as Answer? if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/38599ae3-62d2-406f-8d30-b0b909b60220/windows-7-slow-logon-to-domain-only-one-user-one-computer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 63.21%

Ok, this one isnt as easy as it seems.

I know about the temporary user problem when a user has their folder deleted & try to log in again & get a Temporary User profile. However, my problem is a little more servere.

Any new user that tries to log on gets the Temp profile.
3 previous user profiles work ok. However, one of them changed their password & they then got the Temp profile.
The PC is connected via a Domain, so i removed the PC from the Domain, added it to Workgroup & logged in locally as a new user with Admin rights & I still get the Temp profile.
I've checked the permissions & the registry & cant find anything wrong.
This is what gets reported in the error log:

Thanks in advance.

A:Vista logon problem, Users only get a 'Temporary Logon'

nobody?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/280317-vista-logon-problem-users-only-get-temporary-logon.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Okay--when I login in a work to my domain, the login is quick. Logging in at home to the domain log in when not connected to the domain takes much longer. I disconnected mapped drives and that's not the problem. Any ideas?

Relevancy 62.78%

I recently purchased a new Windows computer for use in our organization nbsp The default logon option for the device is for a Microsoft Account the default username field prompt is for an e-mail address rather than for a username nbsp However I would prefer that the default logon option be for a Windows domain account to Logon Group Default? Domain Force Windows 8.1 Policy as logon so that users don't have to click Windows 8.1 Group Policy to Force Domain Logon as Default? the quot Sign-in options quot link and select quot Local or domain account password quot Windows 8.1 Group Policy to Force Domain Logon as Default? each time they need to log onto the computer I have learned that setting the quot Interactive logon nbsp Do Windows 8.1 Group Policy to Force Domain Logon as Default? not display last user name quot policy located under Computer Configuration Policies Windows Settings Security Settings Local Policies Security Options to Disabled allows the domain logon option to be retained across sessions nbsp However I would prefer to keep this option set to Enabled so that the previous user name is not displayed Does anyone have any suggestions on how the default logon option can be forced to a domain logon while still suppressing the display of the last username

A:Windows 8.1 Group Policy to Force Domain Logon as Default?

Hi Arowitv,
According to your description, we can use the following policy to check the result.
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options:
Accounts: Block Microsoft accounts
Click this option, and select" Users can't add or log on with Microsoft account"
Note: Selecting this option might make it impossible for an existing administrator on this computer to log on and manage the system.
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon :Assign default domain for logon
Set the option to Enabled, and add the Default Logon domain.
Hope this helps.
Regards,

Kelvin Xu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/22d7f5a9-ac6c-46e0-bfa7-bb0c70287ee6/windows-81-group-policy-to-force-domain-logon-as-default?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 62.78%

Hiiii

I have a problem that desktop background & lock screen not changing in windows 10 for domain users
I applied in GPO but for some users applied the update but for some users not applied.
The wallpaper & lock screen is changed through group policy.

I have machines are a mix of win 7 and 10 ( 64 bit).

i have tried gpupdate /force but it also doesnt works.
it is show update successfully .

please help me to solve this issue soon.
thank you

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/49692-desktop-background-not-changing-windows-10-domain-users.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi, A friend has installed Windows 2003 and when the computer boots he is prompted to hold down the Control+Alt+Delete as a security feature before entering The Log On password. I would like to know if a password was not set upon installation if the prompt would still appear ? Also I would like to know if this feature can be bypassed somewhere in the settings.

THANKS

Relevancy 62.78%

Hello I have a friend who used his computer yesterday and today when he attempted to logon to his computer as himself (admin) it tells him "user profile cannot be loaded". I attempted to help him boot into safe mode and change his password. He changed it and it still brings up the same error message. He does have another profile account that his daughter uses but no admin actions can be taken from her account. What can I do to help my friend? This is a challenge I have never encountered during my learning of how to troubleshoot pc's.

A:Can't logon to admin windows vista profile

Ouch. Sounds like a corrupted %USERPROFILE% and the fix requires the Admin-Id.

Have you tried running a System Restore? I will prompt for the admin password.
Issue is, not entirely sure the user's profiles are saved in the restore points.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-logon-to-admin-windows-vista-profile.216968/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello,

I have windows 8.1 computers in the domain and all users are set in to the power users group for security.
just like the old times Windows XP to prevent them from installing programs.. etc

but on windows 8.1 its different .. they have to be in the local admin group to share folders and this is very strange really.

i tried searching here and there but now luck .. i tried to look in the group policy with no use.

is there a way to let power users to share folders on domian joined windows 8 pcs? 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8bff4c13-1b19-42ec-9100-4d8d1988be3e/power-users-cannot-share-folders-on-windows-8-joined-domain-pcs?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to track which users are accessing files on the network.

For example, Bob has access to the sales folder, he opens a document called sales.txt.

Is there a place where this info is logged? Can I see when he accessed the file?

I am workin in a windows 2000 domain.

Thanks

A:Windows 2000 Domain--Tracking users and which files they are accessing?

I did find an auditing feature under the folder properties.

You right click the folder that you want to monitor and select properties, security, advanced, auditing, then add the user that you wish to monitor.

The results are listed in event viewer, under the security section.

I guess this does accomplish what I am asking, but it seems very tedious.

I'm still up for better suggestions.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain-tracking-users-and-which-files-they-are-accessing.547676/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello admin domain, accounts the Windows 7 looses programs and some local of one In on of the labs I run with dual boot Linux and windows I've been experiencing this issue with PCs Today I noticed one more had this issue They were connected to my windows domain but when I'm going to login Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts the domain connection is gone and one of the local administrators is gone too After resetting the Administrator account password I'm able to login but some of the programs have vanished while others still run The Bios is boot protected so I don't think any user could boot a CD USB to mess with the PC One thing I was thinking was if someone got root privileges in Linux and mount Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts the Windows partition and mess with it But even if someone got the root password how come the administrator and Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts student local accounts still exist Windows restore points are disabled so I think that even if the machines were not shutdown properly they would no rollback to some inconsistent state Has anyone experienced something like this Is this some kind of hacking Thanks and best regards Dave

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/996ae801-34fb-45ce-8c9f-dc7b2b3d83da/windows-7-looses-domain-some-programs-and-one-of-the-local-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello In on of the labs I run with dual boot Linux and windows I've been experiencing this issue with PCs Today I noticed one domain, Windows 7 looses and programs admin some the local of accounts one more had this issue They were connected to Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts my windows domain but today when trying to login there is no domain connection possibility anymore nbsp and one of the local administrators is gone too Local Administrator password is unknown but after resetting it from a linux boot disk nbsp I'm able to login but some of the programs have vanished while others still run The Bios is boot protected so I don't think any user could boot a CD USB to mess with the PC One thing I was thinking was if someone got root privileges in Linux and mount the Windows partition and mess with it But even if someone got the root password how come the administrator and student local accounts still exist Windows restore points are disable so I think that even Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts if the machines were not shutdown properly they Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts would no rollback to some inconsistent state Has anyone experienced something like this Is this some kind of hacking Thanks and best regards Dave

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35e94bcd-da72-44e9-a9cc-3b9b4a04e6bc/windows-7-looses-domain-some-programs-and-one-of-the-local-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 61.92%

I have three users (all with local accounts) on my PC and some time ago I disabled the auto-login using the process described here:
Solved Help with multiple users login screen!

This worked perfectly as the users appeared in alphabetical order as follows:
UserA (with the user picture in the centre of the screen)
UserB
UserC

Recently, the order has changed to (I don't know why!):
UserB (with the user picture in the centre of the screen)
UserA
UserC

I would like to change the order back to how it was originally, as UserA is the primary user of this computer. UserA currently has to click on 'UserA' and then 'Sign In' rather than just 'Sign In'

Note: UserB is the only account that is password protected.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Many thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/44198-how-change-order-users-windows-logon-screen.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello,
I want to know how to remove Windows 7 logon screen and admin password when

reset disk is not available?

A:How to remove Windows 7 logon screen and admin password?

Hi Amin2234,

As far as I know, this option is useful in case we will forget the passwords in the future. If we have created a password reset disk, we can use it to reset the password without re-installing the machine. If this option is missing or corrupted,
we will have to reinstall the machine if we have forgotten the password.

As for the security reasons, it is not available to reset the password without the resetting password disk. We shouldn`t be worried about this.

Best Regards,
Tao

Please
mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.
If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact
[email protected]

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/29e90ccf-1fbd-4205-8ef3-5d47193e7865/how-to-remove-windows-7-logon-screen-and-admin-password?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 61.92%

What is the best way to share execution priviledges between limited users, power users, and administrators?

Say an application has already been installed by a higher priviledged user type, and a limited user cannot execute it - e.g. an ISP login software, or Spy Sweeper. Note: ISP login software lacks profile, so I suppose I could just create that, however, Spy Sweeper is a head scratcher.

Should the application be uninstalled and reinstall under All Users? How do you install an application to allow All Users to use it?

I have already tried to use the "Run As" right-click Properties w/Shift key approach and that does not work.

Is there an approach with regard to local security policy that would do what I want to do? How is that done? Or, is Access Control List the way to go?

-- Tom

A:Sharing applications between users, power users and admin

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-applications-between-users-power-users-and-admin.397908/
Relevancy 61.06%

hi..
yesterday system administrator in my group installed Windows 7 on our PC(we share a single PC) which had XP earlier.. and this PC is on our University domain...issue is I can login to Windows 7 using the domain acccount.. but when I tried to login to XP, I receive a message saying that this system is not on the network or the domain is not available.. I logged in to XP using local account and can see that the system is hooked up to University domain, and both XP and Windows 7 versions have same computer name..........

what could be the reason for this???

Im unable to get in otuch with the admin who installed W7, coz he works night shifts and another admin can't figure out..

A:Windows 7 on Windows XP.. not allowing domain logon

Different Domain SID, one per machine name but they have the same name which is probably causing problems. When the admin installed and connect Windows 7 to the domain it registered its computer name to a Domain SID. But Windows XP has the same name but the Domain SID does not point to it.

Or something to that effect...don't quote me on it >.>

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/37229-windows-7-windows-xp-not-allowing-domain-logon.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi I'm using Windows Home Premium x IE with Comodo Firewall and HIPs Avast AV MBAM EMET and SAS I have one LUA and one Admin a c both strong passworded---Guest a c is disabled Real Administrator is enabled passworded and never used I'm group Domain domain? - users no behind a router with no network or file amp printer sharing and have Domain users group - no domain? all recommended blocks on my firewall I've just replaced my admin and lua Domain users group - no domain? accounts after finding a lot of null sid logon fails at all Domain users group - no domain? my accounts over a few months It might have been a self-snafu but I seem to have cured the issue All except Type Anon Logons at every boot but i read somewhere that too can be a snafu I'll keep an eye on them Meanwhile eventlog showed my old accounts being removed from a 'no name' global group that had the Domain users group sid S- - - - - - - The new accounts were both added to this 'no name' global group I'm a workgroup pc not domain Home premium doesn't have secpol and I can't get NET command to enlighten me on this domain group Should I have any global domain groups Finally Is there a way to enforce 'Do not allow enumeration of SAM accounts and shares from the Local policy' or disable 'Network access Allow anonymous SID Name translation' or equivalent on Win Home Premium Cheers

A:Domain users group - no domain?

Good grief, I am afraid after just reading all of this. I recommend keeping only your windows built-in firewall, but its up to you.

Do you go to some heavy virus-infected websites a lot? All you really need for a home computer is something like MSE. MBAM is great to use with it as well. If you have more than one antivirus, chances are they will begin to conflict with eachother. update and scan for viruses, and if there aren't any, relax. DO you do things on your computer that require top notch security?

If you are looking for better, you might start looking into paying for a AV. google best antivirus to find reviews on different ones.

Windows itself has ways of locking down your computer, such as bit-locker.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/165642-domain-users-group-no-domain.html
Relevancy 60.63%

There is a user Dad with admin privileges on a Windows machine this is me There are other users kid and kid with no admin privileges my kids - I want to let kid and kid access the contents of a directory in my userspace C Users Dad In fact it's not users wants a directory share to non-admin Admin with at the top level let's say it's C Users Admin wants to share a directory with non-admin users Dad ownCloud photos because it is I want Admin wants to share a directory with non-admin users to let kid have read write access and kid read only access I navigated my way to C Users Dad ownCloud and then right-clicked on photos clicked on properties clicked on the sharing tab and did what looked like the sensible thing gave the kids the required access I then logged in as kid and attempted to find my way to C Users Dad ownCloud photos I got there -- but on the way I saw far too much -- kid can see a complete list of the names of all files and directories in D Users Dad not ideal and also names of all files and directories in C Users Dad ownCloud which is not acceptable because that is my entire life in the cloud Is this expected behaviour when sharing directories in Windows If not what did I do wrong If so then this is no good and I guess I need a workaround The problem is that I am not at all sure that I can move the directory because it part of a cloud storage service like Dropbox but a different company and as far as I know that directory ownCloud photos the one I want to share with my kids must be a subdirectory of ownCloud the one that I really don't want my kids to be able to view the contents of Also not a viable solution is re-organizing the directory structure of ownCloud i e putting photos at the top and everything else in another directory called quot not for kids quot or whatever -- the problem with that solution is that this directory ownCloud is shared by me on many machines and if I start changing things around then various scripts running on other machines would immediately fail -- the directory structure cannot be messed with I think I need to have most directory names in C Users Dad ownCloud not visible but the entire directory C Users Dad ownCloud photos visible I'm not worried whether the kids can access the directory directly or via some network share or anything -- I just don't want them to see the names of all files and directories in C Users Dad ownCloud In unix this would be easy to do because one has very fine control on who can see what one could remove read access from C Users Dad but still allow read access to subdirectories How does one do that in Windows PS Lol quot I'm having trouble sharing quot a clickable option on the Share window That sometimes applies to my kids -- nice to see that it applies to me today

A:Admin wants to share a directory with non-admin users

NTFS Folder Permissions

I'm thinking if you create a symbolic link in C:\Users\Public you may be able to let the kids go directly to the shared folder. Perhaps then you can deny Traverse permission to block the parent folder. But I haven't done it myself.

Stoik Joker,who has the NTFS permissions page in the above link, is also a regular poster on DonationCoder.com. You may be able to ask for clarifications there. And of course someone with SysAdmin type experience may chime in here.

If you succeed using external info please post the solution.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/330950-admin-wants-share-directory-non-admin-users.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I messed up! Big time. (at least in my mind)

I have a laptop with a drive that is partitioned. C = programs and D = files, pics, music, etc. I have to share my laptop with a family member for awhile and I don't like them looking at my stuff, so I thought I would be savvy and change the permissions so they, as a user, couldn't read or write that drive. Since I have a administrator account I figured this was the best way to protect my privacy. WRONG!!! Now when I log in, as me, the administrator, I can not access the drive. If I click on My Computer, I see drive C with 11gb free, but drive D just says NFTS.

How can I undo this mistake?

Thanks for the HELP !!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-read-write-permission-for-users-admin-windows-7rc.825739/
Relevancy 59.77%

I've reach a wall...
When a Network User is logged On they get prompted for Admin rights when they try to install something or change a setting... I'd rather them enter the Local Admin account on Windows 7 then giving them a Network Admin info since all the private files associated with that network admin would be available to them... But every prompt is asking for DOMAIN admin

How can I temporally switch the Admin Prompt from DOMAIN to LOCAL?

A:Domain Admin vs Local Admin

Why should users have admin credentials in the first place? Why are you letting them install applications? Or change settings? Your setup makes no sense what so ever.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/188915-domain-admin-vs-local-admin.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have installed a Windows server 2008 R2 virtual machine and created a domain  on VMWARE workstation. My local windows 7 machine is member of  this domain.But while typing backslash("\") after the domain name in
username box it displaying number sign("#") instead of backslash("\").The key "\" displaying properly in notepad and everywhere.Anyone have any idea about this?

A:Displaying number sign while I entering backslash("\") to logon to windows 7 for another domain.Anyone have any idea?

I got the correct answer from the VMWare workstation forum.If anyone facing the same problem please try the following details,

In your Windows 7 , it seems that your welcome screen is using a different keyboard layout.

To fix this ,

In your control panel , go to : Regional and language - > Administrative

click on Copy Settings

Check the Welcome screen and system accounts , you can also check the New
user accounts .

Click OK and restart .

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e76a3622-e082-4493-aa65-4190494e9859/displaying-number-sign-while-i-entering-backslashquotquot-to-logon-to-windows-7-for-another?forum=w7itprovirt
Relevancy 56.76%

I was wondering if its possible to stop using the 'slash' style logon, logoff and lock workstations screens when connected to a corporate domain, in similar style to how NT and W2K worked.

If I recall correctly, in XP if its a member of the domain it reverts to this method and does away with the 'Welcome Screen' as its called.

thanks, Mark

A:Domain logon

don't think this is possible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/11882-domain-logon.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello,

1 NT4 WKS
1 NT4 server

The problem is when my user logs on as a domain user he cant run some apps, But when he logs on as an administrator it works fine. I made him an administrator on the local PC with the same domain user name and it still wont work. What should I try next?
Windows 2000 profile transfer

Sometimes when I copy a profile from one user dir to another, using system propertys it copys with no problem. When I log out and log back in I get this repated explorer error and it wont stop until I reboot or log out. (If I can do it quick enoughf) The old profle was used as a local. The new profile is a domain profile. Do i need to do any thing to the server?

Thanks

A:Domain Logon

Which apps won't work? If they were installed under the admin account, they may not work for users. Some apps need to be "re-installed" for each user profile (to load some registry settings in the current user key).

As to the profiles, did you copy a local profile to the server and use it as is for a roaming profile? I have not tried that, but I suspect that the local profile may have used a variable such as "localhost%" or some such that couldn't be translated properly in a roaming profile. Just a guess on that one. Hope it helps, or someone more familiar with profiles corrects me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-logon.80389/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi nbsp nbsp We have windows r domain controller Pro write, Domain modify delete read, Drive) users drive not Windows 7 on (Local can but D and Windows Pro clients There is a requirement that user perform some run on software and software generate test file result which are save on local D drive now Windows 7 Pro Domain users can read, write, modify but not delete on D drive (Local Drive) we need to assign permission that domain users can read write modify create new files folder on d drive but do not rename or delete files folders For that i set following permission on d drive Full control for domain admin local administrator system for domain users allow modify deny delete and delete subfolder and files nbsp Owner of Windows 7 Pro Domain users can read, write, modify but not delete on D drive (Local Drive) the d drive is domain administrator After that user can read files but at the time of saving files the error is quot you dont Windows 7 Pro Domain users can read, write, modify but not delete on D drive (Local Drive) have suffieceint permission to modify files on this location quot and o kb file created but if user try to save second time than the file will save on that same location So nbsp user need to save files two time and one file created with kb nbsp Please suggest a solution Thank you nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/37201b5a-6647-4bc3-9d58-706c14402628/windows-7-pro-domain-users-can-read-write-modify-but-not-delete-on-d-drive-local-drive?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all I have a problem with my one XP machine when logging onto a domain on a Windows Server I recently reformatted and reinstalled the OS on this workstation and after doing so the logon is delayed by - minutes and hangs at the applying computer and applying personal settings dialog boxes But after those - minutes sometimes longer Windows loads normally and the computer functions normally almost Prior to reformatting though this XP machine logged onto the domain fine with no delay at all XP Logon To Delayed Domain It logs onto local accounts fast and other XP machines on the network logon without delay so I know it is something to do with this one PC Onced logged in the network is fine with this machine except for times when I would click on the server and I would get a box asking for user name and password to connect even though Im already logged on And I also noticed on the start menu when expanded it changes from my full name XP Delayed Logon To Domain as specified in the user account on the server to just my logon user name why is that changing The Windows Server is using Active Directory Also I can no longer browse for users or printers in the active directory from the work stations which is new I just got DSL and had some trouble with setting it up and turned off DHCP on the Server and had to change IP address and subnet of the Server I am thinking this messed some things up Any experitse in this area is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:XP Delayed Logon To Domain

PROBLEM FIXED

Problem was a DNS problem as suspected. Left the DNS server info intact on the client machines as obtained from the router. Edited the HOST file and added line with IP and server domain and everything is working perfectly. Fast logon's and can browse AD now. Network browsing is even faster now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-delayed-logon-to-domain.379228/
Relevancy 55.9%

My users are kind of getting used to the new login screen. I have set the Default Domain Name in the regisytry and/or GPO. However, that default domain name seems to only work on the FIRST ATTEMPT. Should a user make a typo and login fails, the machine reverts over to Login to: localmachine name, which of course the user doesnt notice and login to network fails again resulting in calls.

Yes, I realize peopel need to be educated. But some can tbe educated Regardless of you opinions on end user understanding of the new process, is there a away to force it to always assume domain login?

A:Force only domain logon?

According to LockerGnome... but it seems to me that you would want to set the default domain name instead of the "="

You have to put a GPO ( logoff ) that exec this .reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"ShowLogonOptions"=dword:00000000
"DefaultUserName"=""
"AltDefaultUserName"=""
"AltDefaultDomainName"=""
"CachePrimaryDomain"=""
"DefaultDomainName"=""

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/140491-force-only-domain-logon.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Major screwup!
I changed my laptop from the network Domain to a local Workgroup and now my Windows logon and password won't work.
Can anybody help me regain access to my laptop!

A:Domain/Workgroup logon

If you don't have a local account on the laptop, you'll have to reconnect it to the Domain and have a Domain Admin rejoin the laptop to the Domain.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/domain-workgroup-logon-461186.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all i'm kinda new here so bear with me I domain when logon Slow not on have a problem that i'm hoping someone can help me Slow logon when not on domain with i have a windows Vista x SP machine which I use both at work and at home At work there is no problem the laptop boots logs Slow logon when not on domain in Slow logon when not on domain and is active very fast or at least fast enough but wwhen I get home the logon process takes approx mins My logic tells me that since it more or less freezes at the quot welcome quot screen the mins is some sort of timeout before it finds out that the DC cannot be found or maybe it is the time it takes to find out that the network drives I have mapped cannot be located I have tried turning of the Wifi before booting but it didn't help I'm very use to only setting the machine to hibernate which works fine but once in a while I like to turn it off completely my question is simply put this Is there some way I can set the timeout to a lower value so that It doesn't look for full minutes can I tamper with the cached logins and will this help can I create a logon script that simply checks if the DC can be contacted and if not then simply remove the mapped drives so it doesn't try to remap them at logon I know the last question is not really placed in the right forum but any help would be very appreciated

A:Slow logon when not on domain

Does it still take longer to start at home if you are booting up, instead of coming out of hibernation? When you put your computer in hibernation, it saves all active states to a temporary file, then powers down without "shutting down". Part of the active state that it automatically resumes when coming out of hibernation, is the network connections as they were at the other location. Computers can sometimes be easily confused, and this may be the case for your laptop.

Two things about this situation that I generally recommend to people:

1) Shut down the computer instead of hibernate. Most people don't shutdown or reboot enough, especially with laptops. Reboots often fix many problems or temporary foibles that come up in Windows.

2) If you don't have a Windows password, create one. Then when you boot your computer, let the computer have a minute or so on the password screen while it loads stuff in the background and makes network connections, before you type in the password.

Every version of Windows I've worked on has benefited from their owners following these two guidelines. I can't speak to their necessity for Windows 7 yet, since I've only worked on one Windows 7 computer so far.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/262293-slow-logon-when-not-domain.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Due to a disk crash, I had to install a new 80GB Hitachi hard drive in my 400 MHz Pentium II with 384MB ram. I installed XP home and upgraded to XP Pro. The install seemed to go fine. I had two users defined in XP home (with no passwords set). I did the XP Pro upgrade and set the Administrator password. I also installed Norton Internet Security 2005. After shutting down and logging back on the two users I had setup in XP home were asking for passwords and if I just hit enter I got the following message:
The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Please try again or consult your system administrator.

Has anybody seen this problem before?
Appreciate your help.

A:Problem with the specified domain at logon

Hiya

Are you still having this problem? If so, see if this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282866&sd=tech

Ah, this looks just like what you're seeing, after the upgrade:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318026

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-the-specified-domain-at-logon.416803/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am working on a laptop with XP Pro It is not a member of a domain though I think it once was The PC is a member of the workgroup workgroup Any attempt to logon when not in safe mode generates a quot the doman lt pc name gt is unavailable quot In safemode I can logon with no problem to any user account I have changed the name of the PC and the name presented in the above error message will change to match the new PC name The defaultdomain setting in the registry changes to match the given PC name I even created a new user account within safemode and trying to log onto that account when not in safemode generates the domain unavailble message From within safemode I have reset the password of all user accounts so they are known I have tries with the welcome screen and without it When not using the welcome screen the logon box does not have the third Logon problem Logon domain - no To box where I could choose the local pc or the domain probably because there Logon problem - no domain is no domain to logon to ANY insight is greatly appreciated Z nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I was changing the user name in my co-workers xp Pro. I also changed it to a workgroup computer from a domain computer. A box popped up asking for the original user name and password, which I put in. After I did this I rebooted. Now it will not let me logon using the new name and password, the old name and password, or any other combination. I also lost the "Log on to:" option at the logon screen.This computer has 5 user accounts in the domain logon and 3 user accounts in workgroup logn. I cannot access any domain accounts. How do I get the option back to "Log on to:" a domain? My co-worker is gonna kill me!

A:Can't logon to domain accounts

You'll have to have someone from your IT department with a Domain Admin account rejoin the PC to the domain.

They will have to login with a Local Admin account, then use their Domain credentials to rejoin the Domain.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-logon-to-domain-accounts-521085.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Just got a new Dell Optiplex GS270. All other new machines we have gotten was through a third party & already had XP Pro activated & all setup. This is the first one I've done. It is networked. The network connection appears fine. I can map drives, get to files, see and talk to the other Pc's on network but there is no domain option at signon. All the other Pc's require User ID, password, & domain name except this one. I assume it is a setting or something but don't know where to look. Thanks for your help in advance. The server is Windows 2000 Server if need to know.

R.Fritz

A:Don't have domain option at logon

hi

this is an easy 1 to answer as i deel with this all day
lol

you need to logon to the pc and go the the system properties ie right clicking on my computer and select9ing properties.
then go to computer name section and click on network id

here you just follow the wizzard

glad i could help

any other questions just email me

thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dont-have-domain-option-at-logon.211135/
Relevancy 55.9%

Each time some Domain user (Windows XP) need to take 5-8 mins to login to Windows 2003 Server. does anyone know why,, ? we apply only 3 group policy to GPO>Thanks

A:Domain Logon Too Slow

Does the DNS address in your IP configuration of your clients point to the AD controller.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-logon-too-slow.699120/
Relevancy 55.9%

XP Delayed Logon to Domain

1. Windows 2003 SBS server IP192.168.0.35 (DNS service disabled)
2. I do not have a router. 1 way satellite equipment (upload is dialup) installed on XP machine. IP192.168.0.1 with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).
3. Each XP client on domain has its Default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and DNS points to that of ISP.
4. Gateway, SBS server & clients on a switch.

XP clients Issue: XP Delayed Logon to Domain. Around 2 minute delay (applying personal settings). Same issue as http://forums.techguy.org/networking...on-domain.html

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

A:XP Delayed Logon to Domain - DNS

1) Setup the DNS service on the server. (This can take a few hours to be created properly. Make sure your DNS is up and running with the correct setup before proceeding to steps 2-4)
2) Once the server DNS service is working right put the ISP DNS IP's into the forwarder of the DNS properties of the DNS service.
3) Change your Servers NIC's TCP/IP settings DNS entries to point to its own IP or loopback (127.0.0.1).
4) Change all clients DNS entries to point to the servers IP and take out all refferences to the ISP's DNS.

Remember that 2003 domains use Active Directory and this is VERY reliant upon DNS. If DNS is not working right your domain will crawl. ISP's DNS know nothing about your internal network and will NEVER resolve AD correctly.

If you need any more detailed instuctions just post back on the portion you need me to elaborate on.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-delayed-logon-to-domain-dns.464736/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am trying to get vista to recognize a new domain. I had to rebuild the server and created a new domain name. Vista disabled the administrator login when I upgrade to vista and the old domain does not exist. At the login screen the new domain is not recognized even though it is present and working. Any idea’s beside go back to xp pro.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-domain-logon.602735/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi, am having this problem login on to a domain which isn't available anymore. I am currently running a Win 2003 server which i brought from another place which has a different domain name. I can't log on to the local domain. Is there anyway to change the domain to the local one that im using currently without needing to logon? Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-logon-on-to-domain.746758/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have had this answered in the past, but cannot locate the thread so I am asking again.  I want to restrict a Windows 7 Pro machine so that only I and a couple other domain users can log on.God Bless, Mark A. Sam The Bible promises there will be NO computers in Heaven: Revelation 21:4

A:Restricting Domain user logon

Mark,
<quote>
I want to restrict a Windows 7 Pro machine so that only I and a couple other domain users
can log on.
</quote>
Sure, you can set it locally.
On your WIndows 7 Pro, run gpedit.msc
Configure local policy as described in step 7.
Configure Computer / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / User Rights Assignment / Allow Log on Locally. Configure this setting so that only users who should log on locally are listed.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3c980bcb-9232-4760-88c6-b9e81ba5b9e1/restricting-domain-user-logon?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 55.47%

When users are locked out of the domain Windows 2000 allows logging on to windows. (i.e. users are locked out due to incorrect passwords, password expired etc.) It does not tell them that their accounts are locked. Users believe they are on the domain but are really not. How can I prevent users from logging on to Windows when their domain accounts are locked out.

A:{Advice Offered} - Domain Logon

Greetings

This is actually a bug with Win2K workstations logging onto a domain.

The user's account is locked out, but they log onto their workstation with cached information.

Read "User Is Not Alerted When Logging On with Cached Credentials" Technet article for the details on how to edit the registry to bring up a window to inform the user that they are logging on with cached credentials.

Hope this helps

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-domain-logon.29572/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi All First time poster long time reader I was wondering if anyone could help me out here I am an IT manager at a school users in total I have only recently taken over and we have migrated to Windows also upgraded the domain to Windows R The school employs a rather expensive IT consultant friend of the Bursar who Domain Logon Acceptable Times is constantly on my case as i literally ripped Acceptable Domain Logon Times his solution apart RM if anyone knows that name as I convinced the school to move to a more standard corporate solution for the IT This consultant is stating that Acceptable Domain Logon Times the performance logon times are slow and i wanted some feedback on the people on here In a nutshell - Windows desktops bit Professional - Windows R domain - GPO used obviously for locking down the OS - though Acceptable Domain Logon Times a low number of GPO's - GPP used for mapping of drives students get drives staff up to depending on role - GPP used for mapping printers printers onsite but never more than printers mapped per user session On average it takes approx seconds from log on to the desktop I've always though that if the log on time was below seconds in the above environment then that was acceptable Not blistering but certainly not quot slow quot Any feedback would be appreciated Regards Mike

A:Acceptable Domain Logon Times

Assuming the rest of the logon time is similar, 30 seconds is pretty good. I generally don't focus specifically on one section unless it stands out as significantly slower than the rest of the boot process, either. As a quick aside, I would say that on reasonably middle-of-the-road hardware in today's sense, anything quicker than 2 and a half minutes from POST to logged in is quick, and anything in addition to that needs to be considered in the context of the environment (are you doing a lot of GPP, whcih slows down logon? Running logon scripts? Lots of services to start, especially antivirus, app virtualization, etc? Do you have a baseline to compare this to?).

As someone who deals with a lot of what you're questioning now as a day-to-day job, I would say one of the most important things to do when you're considering boot performance on client machines is to have a reasonable representation of the hardware in the environment (as many of the models you would expect a user to have at their desk as possible), and the image you expect to push out to those machines, as your launching point for starting to clear the fog on your own environment's performance numbers. Using xbootmgr to take boot traces, you start by seeing what you have pushed to the client machines and how it is performing on the hardware you have in it's current form (taking 5 - 10 traces to normalize times is a good idea). Then, you look at ways to shore up those times, looking at things like what can you delay, or what can you remove; are you defragmenting the disk well, and is superfetch / readyboot working properly, as examples.

Once you've gone ahead and tackled the kinds of things that you can change or clean up, you re-push the new image with changes down to the client machines, and you re-test with the same methodology, noting the (hopefully) faster boot times. Thiose are your baselines, and you keep those handy for comparison. Any time you change your hardware models in your organization's baseline, you need to re-test and make sure your baselines are up to date with the new hardware. The same thing holds true for your image - if you change that, you want to re-take the numbers so you have them for comparison. The real takeaway is that guesswork is just that - inaccurate and as likely to be wrong as it is right. Having hard numbers to compare in your environment with what it looked like when it came out of the oven, versus what a user might be seeing if you trace their machine in it's current state, is the only way to actually be able to answer those questions with hard data that can back up your findings.

Then, and only then, will you know what your image and domain configuratiion do to boot times, and be able to answer the questions you are running into right now. In general, though, boot performance is more dependant on things like disk fragmentation, poorly performing antivirus software, driver delays, or network issues than you usually see with group policy performance delays - it's not that they don't or can't happen, they just usually aren't an issue in the overall picture (and just as with anything, lots of policy settings coupled with lots of preference items, especially if your policy calls lots of group policy extensions or re-ACLing of filesystem or registry locations due to what you set, can indeed show performance delays that you need to accept can happen).

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/193677-acceptable-domain-logon-times.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I changed my computer from a domain to a workgroup. It warned me that I had to have administrator proveleges and logon password. before proceeding I verified that and when i made the change it inquired for username and password and accepted it. It welcomed me to the workgroup and said the computer had to be restarted. I restarted and now can not logon!!

A:Cant logon after change Domain to Workgroup

You'll probably have to ask your IT department to rejoin the computer to the domain. And they should know the proper way to change from domain to workgroup.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-logon-after-change-domain-to-workgroup.1139398/
Relevancy 55.47%

So I to Logon install: Can't XP new Domain error????? spent a great deal of time installing windows xp pro on my friend s computer It is a PII with MB of Ram Yes I know not the optimal machine but I have been using xp on my personal machine of similar stats with far fewer problems than I did with BTW this system is not hooked up to a network at the moment though Can't Logon to new XP install: Domain error????? it is intended to be introduced to a small network we have created in the near future Anyway After the arduous process of getting setup to run and install xp on the hard drive I arriived at the welcome screen The username I had given for the primary user administrator was there however at no time was I asked to provide a password for the username during setup So like I would do with or I simply hit the go button expecting everything to start up much as it did when I installed on my computer Not so fast paraphrased Error can not log user on that domain does not exist blah blah blah much unimpressed I then tried booting in safe mode where it provides quot ADMINSTRATOR quot access well no password was ever asked for or given during final setup process hence I hit lt Enter gt Error can not log on that user that domain does not exist at which point a number of choice words were utterted and I began seeking solutions on the net to no avail thusfar At no time did I imput any information pertaining to domain names or passwords Any ideas other than starting the install from scratch not neccessarily impossible at this point I am interested in learning not just in getting the thing running p s other info that may be of value gt hd is a GB seagate ST A gt Install was begun from another harddrive connected as dual boot using Win gt Harddrive was freshly formated as FAT prior to install nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

I was loaned a laptop from my school (Samsung R580) as I needed to use software that had been downloaded onto it. However I am not even able to logon to the laptop at home as it is still connected, or wanting me to logon to the school domain, which I am not connected to. Therefore I was wondering whether I would be able to logon to a new domain or something similar to get onto the laptop and access the software?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-r580-logon-domain.1122895/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello,
Just figured out how to "Logon using Dial-up networking" in 7 enterprise. My VPN connection establishes but immidiately disconnects because something in the process is locking my domain user account. Ideas?

Thanks, Jeff

A:Logon with DUN locks domain account

The easiest way to fix this is to speak to the IT people who are managing your Server and Active Directory.
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/202749-logon-dun-locks-domain-account.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have mulitple win xp pro client's loggin into a windows 2000 domain. They all seem to login slow, they hang on the "applying personal settings" menu.

The computers are on the same switch, running at 100mbps.

Any suggestions, patches?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-2000-domain-slow-logon.122435/
Relevancy 55.47%

What are the reg edits that allow a win98 machine to auto logon to a NT domain, and where do I input the values?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win98-on-nt-domain-auto-logon.68164/
Relevancy 55.47%

Background I ve just set up a new Server domain one of the our campus schools First time I ve set domain up from scratch although I administer the one in our building I ve configured the server to be a Domain Controller File Server and DHCP server using the config of the old NT server as a reference The DNS server is on a seperate server here which I have pointed to again using the NT config as a reference My problem is that it is taking the XP machines XP pro SP between and minutes to log on It seems to get stuck on the loading personal settings part I ve disabled the GPOs I was trying to use trying because despite being linked and enabled it doesn t seem to be taking affect So now it is just an XP machine logging onto a domain and shouldn t be inheriting any policy settings Logon Slow Solved: to domain from anywhere Any ideas anyone Ta nbsp

A:Solved: Slow Logon to domain

Never mind, sussed it. Had to add forward lookup zone to DNS server

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slow-logon-to-domain.506371/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello,
I have removed a computer from a domain, then the computer restarted automatically.
Now I cannot log back in, I don't know any user x password combinations that work. Original user of the computer was someone who left the company earlier. How should I get back access to the computer? It's a Lenovo Thinkpad E550 with Windows 7 professional.
Thank you

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/28acfbff-87ce-4f92-b715-e13acb9de1cd/after-removing-domain-i-cannot-logon-to-computer?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello everyone,
Laptops - Windows 7
DC - Windows Server 2012 R2
We have set up wireless network in the company.  When users log into Windows, it picks up the Corporate wireless network, and the users can enter the domain username and pwd, and it connects to the internal corporate network without any issue. 
What I want to do is that, when Windows boots up, and at the logon screen, users enter their domain credentials and log in using wireless network.  So the logon script runs, and they have their drives mapped, and etc...  it should be the same domain
logon procedure as the user would do when connected via wire, but we want to do wirelessly.  
I've read on internet, and tried regedit, and SSO, but none works...
any help will be very appreciated!
thank you in advance.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed2bd636-4f12-43fb-9b48-9bf98b7a0dd6/domain-logon-using-wireless-connection?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 55.47%

I changed my domain from an old work one to a personal one This I thought would make it meaningful to my newly established wireless network um change to domain unable after logon Grhh First i noticed my old work laptop would not network with my old pc desktop since the laptop was still in a work domain properties had all the detail Anyway I changed the domain to workgroup as it said on another site unable to logon after domain change for a guy who also got a hand me down from his old work When i logged in to my laptop I got asked username and password I used what i had before error wrong something about not correct for domain or not having access This means I can't even use XP functions There must be some way of re-setting or establishing a new domain from scratch I do not have the option unable to logon after domain change of going back to my old work place Its miles away Thanks in hope that someone knows how to get around this

A:unable to logon after domain change

Hello,

Before you log in does your domain name show under the Password?

Regards,
George

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unable-to-logon-after-domain-change-518712.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi. Sorry my language i am from Portugal, and is the first time i post in this f?rum!

I have a question!

I working with several computers in a domain! After restarting before installing the operating system again, I was wondering how do I set the same profile for all profiles!
In windows XP configured a profile with a user, and then put it in the default user folder!
In Windows 7 I have no idea!!!

Any ideia?

A:How to have same profile for all users in the domain!

Hi WildCatPT, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Windows 7 default user profile must be configured and customized in so called Audit Mode when no user profiles exist. In your case, deploying the same image to several computers, the procedure is as follows:Start Windows 7 installation on your reference computer
After installation boots to OOBE / Welcome mode after last reboot, enter Audit Mode
Customize the default user profile
Generalize the Windows image with Sysprep
Capture the image
Deploy the image (install to other computers using the captured image)

See this tutorial for instructions in customizing Windows default user profile in Audit Mode: User Profile - Customize During Installation.

Notice that as this tutorial is made to show how to customize default profile in just one computer as opposite to your need to do it for several computers, you need to change the /reboot switch in Sysprep command told in Step 3 to /shutdown switch in order to be able to capture the image before any user accounts have been created.

In your case, the Sysprep command told in Step 3 must look like this (changed part highlighted):

Code:
%windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:E:\DefaultProfile.xml
More complete walkthrough tutorial for preparing a Windows image for deployment, including default user profile customization: Windows 7 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/331362-how-have-same-profile-all-users-domain.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Self explanatory.

What are the specific steps to take in order to map, say, 3 drives to all domain users when they logon. I have seen a few pages and they are all different, so if anyone has the exact script or steps (not a link) that'd be awesome. Going to sites and getting two or three different instructions is frustrating. It is a windows 7 environment on 2008R2.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/378503-how-map-drives-all-domain-users.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Windows Server 2003. I want one shared folder on the server to be visible to only one group of users. When I created the foler, it seems to have come with settings that make it visible to all users and all users have read&execute privileges. The security tab does not see to permit removing these users so I can resttrict access to a single group.

What am I missing?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restricting-users-in-domain.517867/
Relevancy 55.04%

i am looking at changing what rights users require on my companys domain, as all the IT staff have domain admin rights, which most of then dont need, is there a way making new groups and giving the certain rights like being able to install software and printer ect.

we are running a windows 2003 domain with AD

A:Solved: Domain users

You would be better posting this in the networking forum for a better response!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-domain-users.509949/
Relevancy 55.04%

i am looking at changing what rights users require on my companys domain, as all the IT staff have domain admin rights, which most of then dont need, is there a way making new groups and giving the certain rights like being able to install software and printer ect.

we are running a windows 2003 domain with AD

A:Solved: domain users

BigC said:

we are running a windows 2003 domain with ADClick to expand...

Hi BigC,

It sounds like you need to create a "Power Users" Group for them. All I know is that WinXP Pro has this category of user which is like a restricted Admin, but I don't know for certain if it is available for a windows 2003 domain with AD (perhaps).

-- Tom

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-domain-users.509954/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi guys I am very new to this and I may not even have worded my problem correctly but I'll tell you what it is and if anyone can solve it I would be very grateful because I am at the limit of my windows knowledge here I am needing to set up a new set can i a not new to connected admin domain?? How i'm my if up administrator on my laptop running Windows Ultimate The problem I'm having is when you try to create a new account it asks for a domain name First of all - the only domains I am familiar with are website domains and I am assuming this is How can i set up a new admin if i'm not connected to my domain?? a different kind of domain similar to How can i set up a new admin if i'm not connected to my domain?? a workgroup or something I've read It seems my computer is attached to a domain which I have the name for now - found in the computers properties page When I use this name for the domain when creating a new administrator account it gives me the error The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed Here's the twist - This computer and I guess domain were set up in Australia I am now in America trying to add this new admin should this cause a problem Is the domain an online network thing that it needs to connect to to operate and if so do I have to literally be on the same internet network modem to be connected to the domain Really lost here but trying to find a way around this work out if I am screwed and can't do it from America I've attached pics of the process I'm going through Step Step Step https sphotos-a xx fbcdn net hphot n jpg Step https fbcdn-sphotos-h-a akamaihd n n jpg Thnks in advance

A:How can i set up a new admin if i'm not connected to my domain??

Generally speaking, To remove the PC from the Domain it must be physically attached to the Domain and someone with Domain Admin privileges must change its membership from Domain to Workgroup.

Although you should be able to change from Domain to a Workgroup but the Domain account will still be there.

The link shows you how to change from a Domain to a Workgroup, I included another picture for clarity.

After changing to a Workgroup you must restart the machine before creating the new Admin account.

Workgroup Name - View and Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/297148-how-can-i-set-up-new-admin-if-im-not-connected-my-domain.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a pc that started with win 2k. It was recently upgraded to xp.

Everything was fine. Now, the 'limited users" account can't logon to the computer. In fact, the only account that can are administrators.

When you try to logon, you get a popup dialogue that says "Your logon prevents you from logging onto this machine. Please try another machine."

I have looked at the security policies, and I can't see anything wrong. I had auditing turned on and I don't see any policy changes. I try to create a new account type, and logon with that, but it doesn't work.

Any ideas? I can submit screen shots if this is necessary.

Thanks

A:'Users' can't logon

Has to be a security policy... Are you on/running/part of a domain?

~GICodeWarrior

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/users-cant-logon-5188.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello:

Help. I screwed up big. While trying to get PCAnywhere to work on one of my computers (Windows XP) I removed the NT users on one of PCA's configuration screens. These names did not correspond with the user that were shown under control panel/user accounts so I did not think it would be a problem.

No users are shown on the Welcome screen. When I hit Ctrl, Alt, Del the classic logon shows. If I type in Administrator with no password I get an error "The system could not log you on, etc...." If I type Guest and enter a different error shows. "The local policy of this systemn does not permit you to logon interactively."

I have no idea where to start fixing this mess.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Relevancy 55.04%

How can I overcome the annoyance of being asked to run certain progs as admin when I already am...How can I log in permanently as admin to avoid this.I would appreciate any help on the above subject

Thanks iknownuffin 70

A:Win 8.1 how to logon always as admin

Hello Phil,

You could use the built-in elevated "Administrator" to sign in to Windows to always "Run as administrator", but you will not be able to use any modern Store apps while signed in to this account.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

If that would be an issue, then you could use the method in the tutorial below to create elevated shortcuts of the programs you run often for this to not get prompted by UAC.

Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56505-win-8-1-how-logon-always-admin.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Does Vista support domain logon over dial-up? In XP and 2k this is done by checking the "Log On Using Dial Up Connection" checkbox on the logon dialog. Is there a way to enable this checkbox in Vista? Is there another way to accomplish logging in as a domain user over dial-up? Can anyone confirm that this officially is no longer supported? Thanks!!!!

A:Does Vista support domain logon over dial-up?

I have found that it is possible if A) the computer is joined to the domain, B) you pre-configure a DUN connection, and C) that connection can be used by all users (i.e., is owned by System). Here are the details:
Logon to Windows using PLAP (Pre-Logon Access Providers)

1. Log on as a local admin.
2. Control Panel >> Network and Sharing Center >> Setup up a connection or network >> “Connect to a workplace” OR “Set up a dial-up connection”.
3. Check the checkbox to “Allow other people to use this connection” (so that the owner of the DUN configuration will be System and not your individual user).
4. Complete the wizard and save the connection.
5. Join the PC to a domain (establish a dial-up connection first, if needed).
6. After rebooting, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to log on if prompted.
7. You are presented with the logon screen for the user that last logged in. Press Esc or click Switch User to view other logon options.
8. There will now appear a blue button near the lower-right corner, just to the left of the red Shut Down button.
9. Click the blue button. If you have more than one System-owned DUN configuration, then all of them will appear here as a button that can be clicked, in which case you click the one you want to use.
10. If prompted, type the username and password for the DUN connection and click the round, blue button to connect.
11. A dialog appears, showing the progress of the connection attempt.
12. After the connection is established, Windows will use the same credentials to log into Windows. If that fails, you will be taken back to the Windows logon screen to submit Windows credentials.
More Info:

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ad/bd8aa7a67d4ea832/af56e02b76576a48?lnk=raot

http://shellrevealed.com/files/folders/1019/download.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/does-vista-support-domain-logon-over-dial-up.544585/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi ,
Im trying to set up a Cisco VPN for remote working. What I need to find out is, do i need to be logging onto my PCs domain account before i try to VPN?

I currently log on to a local user profile, then connect from one office to main office via Citrix.

When I try to connect to the VPN server(on my local user profile), it gives me the Authentication prompt, but will not accept my domain logon details.

I know that the IP and server password details are all correct.

much appreciated.

Relevancy 54.61%

Hi Guys,
Have you experienced when unable to logged on to windows, you got a message "Incorrect password" although your were really sure your password is right?
Now it on my face. If the LAN cable was plugged out, It was succesfully logon, plugin the LAN Cable then restart the computer, after that I was successfully logon without LAN Cable. 
I would apreciate if there are anyone who could share and help to resolve this issue..
good luck guys
Cheers,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6601293c-858e-4413-8914-e65b106867ac/domain-user-logon-says-incorrect-password?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a windows 2000 domain with both 2000 and xp clients (around 4000)
When the users logon it sometimes takes them 10 minutes to Apply computer
settings. But the XP users logon fine.

I've checked the Group policies and everything seems to be set up properly.
I can logon locally to those machines with no delay.

Does anyone have any ideas.

A:Winidows 2000 domain /slow logon

ScuZZ said:

I have a windows 2000 domain with both 2000 and xp clients (around 4000)
When the users logon it sometimes takes them 10 minutes to Apply computer
settings. But the XP users logon fine.

I've checked the Group policies and everything seems to be set up properly.
I can logon locally to those machines with no delay.

Does anyone have any ideas.Click to expand...

I'd check the DNS settings first. That's usually the cause of your issues.

Since they're older machines, likely, they may have innacurate DNS settings. If they're running DHCP, do an ipconfig -all and see if the DNS servers are matching the ones on the XP boxes (they should be). Then you can start to narrow down the issue from there... But I'd almost guarantee it's a DNS issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winidows-2000-domain-slow-logon.361615/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi all,

I use my work laptop as my personal machine. When I logon away from the domain it takes about 3 minutes of the verbose message "waiting for user profile service" before it will show the desktop. Any ideas how to change the time out period for how long it waits to find the DC before continuing the logon process?

I was a sys admin in a previous life but now a systems engineer and haven't had to meddle with this kind of group policy or local windows settings in a few years and google hasn't returned anything meaningful.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/49145-slow-logon-times-domain-account.html
Relevancy 54.61%

hello there i have a Laptop With a D-Link WIFI PCMIA Card and the laptop has no Lan card installed so my only way to connect to my Router is via loging onto my local account on the Laptops harddrive but i want to make my home network to every computer has to logon over the network but everytime i try to on the laptop it cannot connect as the WIFI connection to the router is not connected but when i use a LAN cable on any of the other PC's it works fine.

I have searched for a few hours and found no solution so any help would be greatly appreciated.

All The systems have XP Pro with Service pack 2

thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-wireless-network-logon-to-domain-help.51171/
Relevancy 54.61%

On my computer I am connected to a domain but I prefer to use my normal login as It means when I move my laptop all my files are where I expect them to be. My problem is at the login screen Vista wants to log me into the domain by default and I have to specifiy that I want to log in locally by typing "ComputerName\User". It's easy to misspell and just a hassle. Is it possible to change the default login to local as opposed to domain?

A:Change default domain for Vista logon

The default is determined by the computer's membership. If it's a member of a Domain, the default is to log into a Domain, if a Workgroup, then it logs into local accounts.

The classic logon box where you had the 3rd box to choose Domain/Local Computer is gone. If you want to log in locally, you have to type it in the ComputerName\Username format.

Would be nice if you could have Local tiles as well as tiles for domain accounts that have logged in, but guess Microsoft thought that wouldn't be secure enough.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-domain-for-vista-logon.781990/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,
We're seeing a strange behaviour were cached credentials are overwritten but the entry picked is not the oldest entry available, but the next one in the list.

See attached. The oldest entry is from James_R, dated March 04 2015. When I logged in a new user (on the right hand side - Kris_M) I was expecting James' cached credentials to be removed. I can confirm this is the expected behaviour as I tried it on a fresh
windows image, different domain. However, Windows decided to replace entry number 0, of Rebecca.

We're seeing this with more than just one computer in the domain.
Has anyone came across this so far?
Running Windows 7 32 bit SP1
(picture looks small but use the browser's zoom function)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/95b38f30-1675-4df9-8db6-7094a821e3b7/domain-cached-credentials-no-logon-server-available?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 54.61%

I have one computer with Windows7 that I need to restrict user logon to just two domain users.  Since it is for only one domain computer, is there a way to restrict the user logon locally on that computer rather than through AD?
Thank you.

DDaleS

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fa522874-050e-49a8-877a-cacc7e0f68f2/restrict-user-logon-one-computer-on-the-domain?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 54.61%

Hii
My system is under of domain when i logon on my system with domain user system shows me you are logon with temporary profile. And i check in cmd my profile shows on this way ( C:\Users\Temp:000 )
how to solve this issue........Help

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d68a9346-d90b-41dc-96a5-52bc6d7b4d87/domain-user-logon-with-temporary-profile?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a user on an XP Pro laptop that is having delay problems logging into the Domain I have isolated but - this, Logon getting solving Domain close Slow need help to the problem to the users computer as he can logon fine from other workstations and still has the problem on his laptop no matter where he Slow Domain Logon - getting close to solving this, but need help is plugged into the network It takes him about - minutes to logon to the domain once he enters his credientials and hits enter I tried a couple things that did not work but pointed me in a certain direction I tried enabling the quot Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon quot and also tried enabling NETBIOS over TCP IP Now these didn t fix the problem instead the delay occured before I got to the logon screen It this case after the quot windows is starting up quot dialogue box I got box saying quot Preparing network connections quot once that was done - to minutes I could get to the logon screen and then immediately login This seems to indicate that the computer is having a problem gaining an initial connection to the network at bootup I know this seems obvious but I wanted to be sure I also checked the event viewer and noticed that each time the computer is restarted the following error occurs The DHCP allocator has disabled itself on IP address xxx xxx xxx xxx his address since the IP address is outside the scope from which addresses are being allocated to DHCP clients To enable the DHCP allocator on this IP address please change the scope to include the IP address or change the IP address to fall within the scope I can t find any help on fixing this problem any help would be very much appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Slow Domain Logon - getting close to solving this, but need help

sounds like internet connection sharing is enabled on that computer. If it is turned on, disable it and see if your situation improves.

the 192.168.0.0 is the range used by the Internet Connection Sharing service. So this event appears to be a conflict between these two components.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-domain-logon-getting-close-to-solving-this-but-need-help.588774/
Relevancy 54.61%

I was trying to get my daughters laptop on our home wireless network to transfer files to a new laptop The original laptop was from her college with the domain listed as her college I was not able to get the laptop on the network and while trying different things I changed the domain to the home network name and somewhere amongst the Domain changed Can't log at logon & to XP on now Home, displayed not different things I was trying the domain box is now missing from the logon screen and the user name password that was previously working Can't log on to XP Home, Domain changed & now not displayed at logon is now not recognized Lookin at some previous posts I have tried safe mode and also the administrator and no password logon She is changing colleges and all I need is to get access to the files to copy them off Can't log on to XP Home, Domain changed & now not displayed at logon before the laptop is given back to her school At this point I will copy them to a flash drive so I don t even need it to work on the network I just need to access the files nbsp

A:Can't log on to XP Home, Domain changed & now not displayed at logon

You can get the domain logon back by rejoining the lappy top the domain. And you can do that only on the college network and it can be done only by knowing a domain admin account.

There are tools that can clear the local administrator password for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-log-on-to-xp-home-domain-changed-now-not-displayed-at-logon.41233/