Windows Support Forum

HP Envy Phoenix advertising overclocking but not supporting ...

Q: HP Envy Phoenix advertising overclocking but not supporting ...

HP also says they now support oc under warranty. No help or zero instructions on how to do it in the bios. They just put it there for you to figure it out on your own. The settings are limited any ways. But, they don't explain what CPU power limits 1 and 2 are for. How they effect overclocking. I have a HP Envy Phoenix 810-430qe that came with a Intel i7 4790k.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: HP Envy Phoenix advertising overclocking but not supporting ...

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: HP Envy Phoenix advertising overclocking but not supporting ...

Hi, From my view, overcloking won't come from manufacturers. Vendors WILL shoot to their feet if they told customers how to overclock and this is understandable: they don't want customers send machine back during warrnty period (1 year). Do you want to sell products and tell people how to break them then receive those products back during warranty period ? Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Envy-Phoenix-advertising-overclocking-but-not-supporting/td-p/5146534
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello, for a long while I were trying to find a good tutorial or a anwser to how to overclock a i5 760 @ 2.80GHz
and I dont really want to fry my CPU so im open for suggestions on how can I overclock it.
CPU cant handle new games and I dont really have money to get a better one...
Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-a-i5-760.216408/
Relevancy 39.56%

According to MSI and Biostar representatives on the Computex 2015 show floor, speaking to PC Gamer, motherboards that feature Intel's new Z170 chipset will become available this August.

Read more

A:Intel Skylake-supporting Z170 motherboards coming in August

It better come with Thunderbolt 3 included, if they want to attract PC enthusiasts.

On a related subject, this new Thunderbolt 3 isn't as good as we hoped...

Thunderbolt 3 also includes an update to the DisplayPort side of matters, though likely not what everyone has been expecting. With the increase in bandwidth, Thunderbolt 3 is able to carry twice as much video data as before. However Intel is not implementing the latest version of DisplayPort ? DisplayPort 1.3 ? in to the Thunderbolt 3 standard. Instead they are doubling up on DisplayPort 1.2, expanding the number of equivalent DisplayPort lanes carried from 4 to 8, essentially allowing one Thunderbolt 3 cable to carry 2 full DisplayPort 1.2 connections. The end result is that Thunderbolt 3 will not be able to drive the kind of next-generation displays DisplayPort 1.3 is geared towards ? things like 8K displays and 5K single-tile displays ? but it will be able to drive anything 1 or 2 DisplayPort 1.2 connections can drive today, including multiple [email protected] monitors or 5K multi-tile displays.Click to expand...

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9331/intel-announces-thunderbolt-3

So, basically, they had all the opportunity to have DisplayPort 1.3 included, but decided not to. That is just wrong... It won't even support a single-tile 5K screen. And if so, then what good is it, really?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-skylake-supporting-z170-motherboards-coming-in-august.213682/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi All I m planning to build my first ever desktop since my laptop is already having problems and I think it s going to die soon I m going to use the computer mainly for doing D digital artworks editing videos as well as playing games specifically MMORPGs and some like PC First Overclocking) (NO Advice Need Build Gaming Alice Madness amp Skyrim I ll be playing the heavier games on the console so no need to have a monster pc I just First Gaming PC Build Need Advice (NO Overclocking) want something that would accommodate my main use and last First Gaming PC Build Need Advice (NO Overclocking) me a while before I would have the need to upgrade again I also have a budget that I have to stick to I live in the Philippines so it will be Php - Php in USD I think it would be around - As stated above I won t be doing any overclocking whatsoever Here are the specifications of the build I was planning CPU Intel Core i - Processor M Cache up to GHz Motherboard Asus H -PRO GAMER VideoCard EVGA GeForce GTX Ti Superclocked Memory Vengeance Low Profile GB Dual Channel DDR Memory Kit CML GX M A C Storage Samsung GB EVO quot SATA SSD Storage Western Digital Caviar Black TB quot RPM Power Supply Seasonic X W Gold CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon V Hybrid Optical Drive ASUS D ST BLACK X SATA Case Obsidian Series D Mid-Tower PC Case Case Fan Scythe Kaze Jyuni PWM mm rpm CFM x Since this is a first opinions are greatly appreciated I m open for First Gaming PC Build Need Advice (NO Overclocking) suggestions if you think there are better parts that should replace the ones listed It would also be very nice if it would be cheaper without losing the performance and quality Thanks in advance nbsp

A:First Gaming PC Build Need Advice (NO Overclocking)

Thorah said:

Hi All,

I'm planning to build my first ever desktop since my laptop is already having problems and I think it's going to die soon...

I'm going to use the computer mainly for doing 2D digital artworks, editing videos as well as playing games, specifically MMORPGs and some like Alice Madness & Skyrim.
I'll be playing the heavier games on the console so no need to have a monster pc.
I just want something that would accommodate my main use and last me a while before I would have the need to upgrade again.

I also have a budget that I have to stick to. I live in the Philippines so it will be Php 50,000 - Php 55,000 , in USD I think it would be around $ 1000 - $ 1200.

As stated above, I won't be doing any overclocking whatsoever.

Here are the specifications of the build I was planning.

CPU: Intel® Core? i5-4690 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PRO GAMER
VideoCard: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked
Memory: Vengeance® Low Profile ? 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
Storage: Samsung 120 GB 840 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Power Supply: Seasonic X650 650W 80+ Gold
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V Hybrid
Optical Drive: ASUS24D3ST BLACK 24X SATA
Case: Obsidian Series® 450D Mid-Tower PC Case
Case Fan: Scythe Kaze Jyuni PWM 120mm, 1300rpm, 74CFM (x3)

Since this is a first, opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm open for suggestions if you think there are better parts that should replace the ones listed. It would also be very nice if it would be cheaper without losing the performance and quality.

Thanks in advance!Click to expand...

What programs do you specifically use for video editing and such?

Also a couple of notes:
1: That PSU is a bit overkill for that build or most builds. I would suggest a Gold Rated 550Watt as being a cheaper better option for you.
2: Save a couple of bucks and grab a Western Digital Blue 1tb HDD or a Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD. WD Black HDD's are awesome but generally they are a bit more for not much of a difference overall.

Can you link the site from which you are ordering your parts from?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-gaming-pc-build-need-advice-no-overclocking.210692/
Relevancy 29.67%

Nvidia has once again decided to prevent some notebook owners from overclocking their Maxwell-based GeForce GTX 900M GPUs, after removing the restriction in a March driver update.

Read more

A:Nvidia quietly blocks GeForce GTX 900M overclocking once again

Why would nVidia do this secretively? This just erodes their relationship with gamers and their buyers... At least give a SIMPLE statement: "Overclocking was shown to make GPUs unstable and lessen their lifespans, so we disabled the overclocking ability in R350 drivers again". No need to keep that secret.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-quietly-blocks-geforce-gtx-900m-overclocking-once-again.213338/
Relevancy 28.81%

Controversy surrounding the GTX 970 aside, the 900 series GPUs from Nvidia is among the most anticipated graphics chips in recent memory. The mobile variants are especially impressive as they narrow the performance gap between their desktop counterparts to 80...

Read more

A:Nvidia removes overclocking from 900M mobile GPUs, a feature advertised on some notebooks

LOL it is clearly a move by Nvidia to force people to upgrade more often. They will probably take the 980m and do the same thing they did with the 680MX -> keep re-releasing it with 10% higher clocks every year.

Problem is that someone with a 680mx could just overclock it 30% and get an 880m. However this should be a problem for Nvidia, not us. If they want us to upgrade, give us something worth upgrading to!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-removes-overclocking-from-900m-mobile-gpus-a-feature-advertised-on-some-notebooks.208906/
Relevancy 30.53%

So I recently started to overclock to boost performance out of my old cpu,core i3-530..I could manage 3.6 ghz at stock volt..with more volts, I have clocked till 4.07 ghz..I don't see any point crossing that barrier.Here's my concern..Is it safe to overclocked(say 3.6ghz) and then reset it back to default/stock frequently or rather set to a certain speed and keep it as it is..I am concern with longevity of processor and power consumption since I couldn't set the bios to increase or decrease the clock hertz as windows does at its default..

A:Overclocking and resetting to stock frequently

What voltage did you use to get to 4ghz? If we know that we can kinda say if its a safe day to day OC voltage. If your planning on running your system Overclocked all the time I have always kept speedstep/cool and quiet enabled to allow the cpu to down clock when idle to save on power and I have gotten 3+ years out of every chip I have overclocked while doing that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-and-resetting-to-stock-frequently.208746/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello guys, I've got a simple question I'm looking for anyone who tried to OC this card and could tell me his or hers experience with it. Whether it runs too hot. What is the perfect clock speed and etc.

Thanks for any replies.

A:Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz overclocking

I have one - in an SLI configuration with an EVGA SC.
Without upping voltage mine doesn't really OC that well ( 1070MHz core vs 1020MHz it ships with). Add a bit of voltage and it hits 1120 core (1225 boost) easily enough. It can go a little higher, but the EVGA can't keep pace (the Gigabyte is B1 silicon). Be aware that the Gigabyte's stock clock means absolutely nothing. Gaming with the card will peg the frequency at 1160-1198 depending upon the game or benchmark. Here's a Heaven run to show what I mean...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gigabyte-gtx-780-ghz-overclocking.205418/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hey there,

This was my first time overclocking a computer. After doing everything my computer started up normal. My question is when using "cpu-z" it show's my computer at normal core speed 3.4ghz However if I go back into the bios and check it's telling me I am overclocked to 4.3ghz.

I looked at a lot of video's to give me the basic's and chose this one because it was the same bios.
i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz Overclock ASRock Z87 Extreme4
www.youtube.com

I am running the I5 4670k with the corsair 75 water cooler and GTX 770

A:Not sure if overclocking worked

I'm not an expert but from what I can see the top bit (Specification shows the stock specifications of the CPU when you take it out of the box but the Core Speed is what the CPU is currently clocked at.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-sure-if-overclocking-worked.204004/
Relevancy 41.28%

Device:- Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
PNP Device id:- PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C8&SUBSYS_27C88086&REV_01\3&11583659&0&E8
error code generating- 43
How can I remove this error and be able to support my external harddisk of 250 GB

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hardisk-is-not-supporting-on-my-usb.201235/
Relevancy 27.09%

Howdy all The amazing folks at Tech Spot saved my bacon many moons back helping me fix a virus laden laptop for Brand New to can't HP connect 17 Internet Envy Quad Touchsmart my sick kid And so I turn to Brand New HP Envy Touchsmart 17 Quad can't connect to Internet you with my latest computer nightmare and beg of your assistance once again I just bought a new HP ENVY TouchSmart t-j Quad Edition Notebook PC ENERGY STAR for my daughter for Christmas It arrived yesterday and I opened it up to start preloading her software onto it so she can have it ready to go Christmas morning Unfortunately the thing just won t let me get connected to the internet via wifi It is using an Intel Wireless-N adapter running Windows factory installed I have tried everything I could think of - using Intel drivers instead of Microsoft ones resetting WINSOCK flushing the DNS using a static IP instead of dynamic the works Nothing appears to be working The device can clearly see my network - it shows up on the list of connections and validates my security information running standard WEP security - not the best I know but it s easier for the multitude of tech I have on my network all of which connects fine but it only gives me limited access and does not want to connect to the network or the internet My base system is running Windows My router is a Netgear Rangemax Wireless-N Gigabit Router WNR v I have not tried a hardwire connection yet as I really need this to be a wireless device Help me TechSpot Gurus you re my only hope nbsp

A:Brand New HP Envy Touchsmart 17 Quad can't connect to Internet

Hey Mark. I would connect to the Net by cable and allow it to get any OS updates and/or driver updates before I change any settings.While online,try to connect wirelessly to see if it finds any updates quicker.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-hp-envy-touchsmart-17-quad-cant-connect-to-internet.198670/
Relevancy 30.53%

Since the "turboboost" crap is complete garbage, (thing never goes up from 1.4 to 2.3) i thought i would set it to manually go up to 2.3. I had it working at 2.3 at 1.4125 (MIGHT have been lower...), but it bluescreened after a little while in MW3. And it was getting warm rather fast.
So I was wondering what a good voltage would be for 2.3 GHz (because the 1.3 to 2.3 raised dolphin emulation from 50% speed to 80% speed, which is playable).
I dont want too much heat as I understand that while laptops are designed to get hotter too much heat can prove fatal, and this being a new laptop and all, i want it to last as long as possible. At 1.4, it gets warm, but never too hot to touch.
Also, i upgraded to 6GB of ram, and was wondering if I could change the 512 MB allocated to the chips 6520g graphics card to 2 GB. is that possible?

Thanks!

A:A6-3400M: Overclocking, allocating more VRAM?

I wouldn't OC a laptop as cooling is always an issue.

ikesmasher said:

Also, i upgraded to 6GB of ram, and was wondering if I could change the 512 MB allocated to the chips 6520g graphics card to 2 GB. is that possibleClick to expand...

No.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a6-3400m-overclocking-allocating-more-vram.178335/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey guys,

I'm needing some information that is extremely hard to come by.

The 740m in the HP Envy 17t-j000, does anyone know, or does anyone know WHERE to look (Google failed me, or I failed Google!) to find out whether it needs ACTIVE displayport -> HDMI adapters?

I question this because I know the 57xx series from ATI required active. The card only supported 1 RAMDAC signal (or something?) and the Nvidia's tech seems different. According to HP support, passive will work fine. I need to have the adapters ordered ASAP, but I do not want to order the incorrect ones.

Any assistance is appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-envy-17t-j000-w-740m-triple-monitor-setup-questions.197029/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi, what is the most overclockable GTX 770?

Thanks

A:Overclocking a GTX 770

If you want a very good overclock on a 770, you will need a GPU with a custom PCB and 2, 8 pin connectors (recommended). I recommend the MSI GTX 770 Lightning. The Gigabyte GTX770 3x Windforce is also pretty good but lacks the 2, 8 pin connectors that the lightning has. Keep in mind that some of these cards are factory overclocked and dont have much more breathing room for OCing unless you watercool. Also, OC a GPU too a very high level can lower its lifespan considerably.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-a-gtx-770.195996/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have an old PC and want to boost up it's specification using overclock but what does it actually do?

A:What actually is overclocking

Reference Wikipedia:
"Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the clock frequency specified by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters (hence the name "overclocking"). Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable. Most overclocking techniques increase power consumption, generating more heat, which must be dispersed if the chip is to remain operational."

What is the make and model of the computer you are trying to overclock? You say it's an old PC, but how old is it? If you have never overclocked anything before, then you really need to study (read) up on it before attempting to do it. Not trying to discourage you from trying, but if you do something wrong, you could cause damage to the computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-actually-is-overclocking.195958/
Relevancy 30.96%

I have an intel core i7 4770k and I'm not overclocking it at the moment. My idle temps are around 28 degrees Celsius. Is it still necessary to run a program like prime95 and stress test my cpu even though I am not overclocking?

A:Do I need to stress test if I'm not overclocking?

It's not necessary, but you can still check the stability of your system, regardless of whether you are over-clocking. I've heard many times, servers are done so to prepare them for future task. Running the test will allow them to potentially catch any issues before they are brought on-line.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-need-to-stress-test-if-im-not-overclocking.195749/
Relevancy 28.38%

When I bought this computer it had windows 7 on it. it ran everything lag/shutter free. I have since upgraded to windows 8 then to 8.1. The problem is the audio and video noticeably lags/shutters. As if the entire computer is pausing. I have talked to HP tech support and they only reinstalled the drivers. All drivers are current. I am fairly sure it has something to do with the HD4k graphics but I do not know for sure. I was hoping the 8.1 would resolve the problem but it has not. I have this problem whenever I watch videos (on the internet or from file) and when I play World of tanks. Any help would be great

A:HP envy 1038-nr

I seen similar comments re "since upgrading to Win/8" and (imo) think the drivers are not 'fully compatible' with the new system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-envy-1038-nr.194074/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hey I was just wondering what sort of overclocks I will be able to get with a sabertooth 990fx r2 and a noctua nh d14. I am also new to overclocking so I am wanting to overclock safely to start off with

A:Fx 8350 overclocking

Well as an owner of an FX-8350 gaming rig and loving overclocking, ill let you in on my system and how its been under my tested overclocks and such (Bear in mind, each chip is different)

I am using the Crosshair V-Z board by Asus so we both have the 990fx chipset and we will probably see similar results at least where the board is concerned. Though I am on liquid which will make things a little harder since your on air, but heres how im doing.

I have mine currently 24/7 at 4.7ghz (I have played with higher, but im still working on it for fun)
Temps Range ~28 idle to ~60 Celcius full load (Thats with video cards in my loop also producing heat)

Now I have my voltage currently set at 1.45 to achieve this overclock of 4.7ghz though that maybe a bit high on air cooling. I would stay no higher than 1.425 on the Noctua to keep temps down and no more than a 4.5ghz overclock on all 8 cores because the heat might get a little high. On the Core temp monitors, going above 60 on each core is considered running warm with 70 being hot. I think the thermal monitoring will not let the cores run above 70 (ill have to re-look that up, its not knowlege I keep on me).

Make sure when doing this to just kick turbo off because it can cause issues ive seen. If you want more advice on exact number, I can let you know some more, but for now I hope this help you in your journey!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fx-8350-overclocking.194093/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have a three year old system and here are my specs everything runs stock right now Its been running stock the whole time but now when I play guildwars I seem to use a bvery high percentage of my cpu so I want to overclock Can anyone help me out with step by step instructions on how to overclock I dont want anything crazy just a little DO overclocking Help 920 i7 with my bump Here are all of my Help with overclocking my i7 920 DO specs that I think are deemed necessary If anything else needs to be known let me know CPU x Intel Core i - Bloomfield GHz LGA W Quad-Core Processor BX DO CPU Cooler x XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler with Stealth Aerospace Industry Thermal conductive GPU x XFX HD- A-ZNBC Radeon HD Cypress Pro GB Black motherboard x EVGA E -A -Way SLI x x x LGA Intel X ATX Intel Motherboard GPU Edition -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFire HD x Western Digital WD Black WD FALS TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive PSU x CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU- TX W ATX V v SLI Ready CrossFire Ready PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible nbsp

A:Help with overclocking my i7 920 DO

There are plenty of great overclocking guides out there, just search "CPU overclocking guide" or something similar and you'll get plenty of good sites. (HERE and HERE are a couple of good ones)

As for my personal tips:
1. Take it slow, go up in small increments and test each setting. There's no point rushing with something like this.
2. Don't keep a stupid overclock. If you can run 2.9GHz at 85 degrees, and you see some good frame-rate improvements, there is no point running 3GHz at 95 degrees for 1 or 2 extra frames.
3. Have fun. Overclocking is cool

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-overclocking-my-i7-920-do.192910/
Relevancy 30.53%

I overclocked to 4.5ghz, and the intelburn test passes.

However, in speedfan I am a bit confused on the temperatures it is showing me.

Specifically the CPU temp vs the Core 0 temp.

The cpu temp stays nice and low during stress test (47c), but the Core 0 temp jumps to 87c.

What's the difference in those two readings and am I running too hot?

A:Overclocking i7-3770k, question about speedfan

I wouldn't even use speedfan to monitor temps. Download real temp or core temp and report back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-i7-3770k-question-about-speedfan.192653/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hey all I decided I wanted to overclock my i to about Ghz as I ve seen that it can usually deal fairly well with that Overclock I have gone through some tutorials even looked up a guide the Problem i7-3770K overclocking by Asus telling me what I need to do as well however I m not having the best of luck First I ll tell you cooling feature I have a H i Watercooling unit on the processor it runs a load at about degrees Celsius with the odd spike and such for the Air flow management I have a Storm Stryker FT Case with the two fans on the drive bays and a third fan on the back of the case two mm on drive bays mm on back the Radiator with the two fans are on the celling of the case The total air flow is good and the temperature inside the case is about - degrees Problem overclocking the i7-3770K celcius The Motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth Z The UEFI Bios is good and is very informative with the overclocking possibility however it doesn t work for me that well at all I had to switch out my Problem overclocking the i7-3770K PSU and put in a Non Modular Corsair TX untill a new one is shipped out Don t know if that be the cause For some reason I think it is My problem is that no matter how I fiddle and test out the the Frequency and the the voltage I cannot get anything stable over Ghz it seems I did manage to get however it is not stable at all and so is true with anything higher than Ghz and adjusting the voltage core above seems to cut out the PC I managed to get to with Vcore at The DDRM Frequency is at Mhz Two Corsair vengence Gb Mhz ram At the moment I am completely stumped I don t want to go do more testing as I literally spent about hours trying to sort this out and I am fearing for the CPU Health From looking at most Guides Especially the Asus Guide using the same Processor and a Maximus and they all seem to be in accepting in that an frequencies of and a Vcore of about - Seems to be the most common I was hoping someone could help me out as I ve lost count how many times I ve seen that dreadful blue screen PS I will put up some Screenshots if need be but currently cannot as I am out nbsp

A:Problem overclocking the i7-3770K

Well you have to realise each chip will OC to a different level at a different voltage, so maybe you just haven't got a very good one...

Do you actually use any programs which make use of a 4.2+ Ghz OC? If not I would just leave it at 4.2Ghz @1.275V, Ivy Bridge chips get really hot once you start increasing the voltages so the extra heat/noise may not be worth it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-overclocking-the-i7-3770k.191710/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi,can I overclock i5 3450 from 3.1 ghz to at least 3.2 ghz with using only the stock cpu cooler?
I am using gigabyte b75d3h
I know the following points:-
1.3450 is "non-K" hence cannot be efficiently OCed
2.b75 is not suitable for OCing
3.only 0.1ghz increase wont bring any major improvement

I am doing doing it only for fun!
Also if I successfully OC to 3.2 ghz then will it perform like a 3470?

Thanks in advance

A:Overclocking core i5 3450

Yes, that much of an overclock should not bring any major heat problems.

It's going to be a challenge without an unlocked chip, but you should be able to do it with. Happy overclocking :d

With the specs I've read on the two, besides the boost function it should perform on the same level.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-core-i5-3450.192780/
Relevancy 29.67%

A few months ago I updated my MSI Z A-GD to the latest BIOS quot vP quot which is still the latest settings Z68A-GD55 update won't MSI overclocking changes allow to BIOS after version on MSI s website as of today Since updating to this version the UEFI BIOS screen is totally different the layout has been changed entirely I was able to find the overclocking settings quickly but since the update the board will not allow me to change many settings All CPU Memory chipset voltage adjustments CPU ratio adjustments bclock adjustments etc are all either greyed MSI Z68A-GD55 won't allow changes to overclocking settings after BIOS update out and cannot be selected at all or they are set to quot Auto quot and that is the only available option for them This is a solid overclocking motherboard from what I ve heard online and I m running a K series CPU k so I m really perplexed as to why I can t even adjust the supposedly unlocked CPU ratio on my k I USED to be able to use these settings before the BIOS flash Also I can t seem to find anyone online who s having a similar problem as me As it stands now the only overclocking I can do is with MSI s quot OC Genie II quot which basically automatically overclocks for me I think this is totally ridiculous why is MSI s automated tool allowed to touch these settings when I can t modify them manually Anyone have any idea what s going on My first thought was that maybe there is a setting somewhere in the BIOS that must be enabled first in order to open up the overclocking settings but I searched far and wide and couldn t find one Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:MSI Z68A-GD55 won't allow changes to overclocking settings after BIOS update

Yeah, I think there is a setting somewhere that is checked to auto. Try exploring all the tabs of the BIOS screen and report back if you find anything.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/msi-z68a-gd55-wont-allow-changes-to-overclocking-settings-after-bios-update.191535/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi, is it safe to overclock a zotac gtx 660 on a b75 gigabyte mother board without a gpu cooler?

A:Overclocking GTX 660

How do you not have a GPU cooler?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-gtx-660.191279/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi, I've been trying to oc my CPU on this mobo with no luck at all. since the multiplier is locked im playing with the bus speed and the vcore. The mobo has an auto oc utility it got my cpu to 3.3 but it takes down the dram freq to ~900 (why? idk) and sets vcore to 1.425 I think other stuff are the same. 3.3 isnt bad at all but why take down my ddr3 1600 to ~900??

specs:
Mobo: ASUS M5A88-M
CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 240 @ 2.8Ghz (stock)
Memory: 2x4GB kingston hyperX blu Red DDR3 1600 CL9 6-6-6-18
PSU: HEC Raptor 500w
Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6670 1GB GDDR5
Cooler: CoolerMaster TX3

PS: Memory Currently running on 1333 not 1600

A:Overclocking AMD Athlon II x2 240 on Asus M5A88-M

Ok freaking bios was acting up updated it to the latest version and everything seems to be working like a charm
got it to 3.3 idle 39c max load 60c also got my memory to run @ 1600 9-9-9-24 vcore 1.425.
currently running prime25, are those settings ok or did I screw something up ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-amd-athlon-ii-x2-240-on-asus-m5a88-m.189323/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi,in the 3dmark 11 score it shows the gpu core clock is 549 mhz,but in gpu-z it shows 1116 mhz
and also in default the score was 6408 and on overclocking 12.5% the score reduced to 6173!!
Please help

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gtx-660-3dmark11-score-falls-after-overclocking.189299/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi

What's the recommended procedure of overclocking the graphics card?
Anything else that can go horribly wrong except overheating and noticing artifacts?
Any good software for testing that include 3D animations to detect artifacts?
Been think about OCCT or MSI Kombustor maybe.

Regards

A:Overclocking Asus 7870 2GB DC2

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_7870_overclock_guide,1.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-asus-7870-2gb-dc2.186623/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hey Guys ,

am new to overclocking for AMD.
can anyone suggest best oc values for Athlon 64 x2 4600+ ????

Thanks in advance

A:Overclocking AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+

I dont think this CPU can be OCed. If it can, you will need a aftermarket cooler and look up some values online because this is a very old cpu

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-amd-athlon-64-x2-4600.186204/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have a i7 860 cpu with 8gb of corsair ram at 1600 clock speeds.
I have a 750 watt psu and a intel p55wg motherboard.
I want to overclock this as high and stable as possible and I have overclocked many amd proccessors but never intel.

Any help would be great, I have found reviews and guides but they dont make much sense. Sorry for bad english this is written on my phone.

A:Core i7-860 CPU overclocking

Saw this one my phone, be home in twenty minutes. Shouldn't be hard to oc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/core-i7-860-cpu-overclocking.186246/
Relevancy 31.39%

Just a quick question.

Is it true that more DIMMS = less stable machine / lower overclock?

So if you have lets say 4 slots and you fill them up, you would get better performance and more stable machine with only 2 slots of the 4 filled out?

I heard this somewhere some time ago, not sure if its true or just a random claim.

A:Overclocking and RAM sticks

It used to be very true. Memory controllers used to be a lot more fickle than they are at present, and certain vendors motherboards had OC'ing and stability issues when fully populated (Gigabyte and MSI's P45/X48/X38/P35 range seemed particularly afflicted)
Having said that, with the advent of the memory controller moving to the CPU in Intel boards in recent years, better/cleaner power delivery, lower RAM operating voltage, and dedicated power regulation for RAM operation the issue isn't generally a factor.

So the answer is No...or Yes, depending upon what system you're running.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-and-ram-sticks.184863/
Relevancy 31.39%

What exactly is Overclocking. How is it done (installed?) Once you have it, what does it do, and why.

A:What exactly is overclocking?

Over-clocking is increasing the frequency of which hardware operates. By increasing the frequency, you are forcing hardware to work faster and as a result hardware will reach hotter temperatures. There are several ways to over-clock. Over-clocking used to be done by changing jumper settings on the hardware itself. Over the past fifteen years, over-clocking has evolved in making changes within BIOS configurations. It's now possible to over-clock through Windows by simply pressing a button within an over-clocking application.

However you decide to over-clock, monitoring your systems temperatures is and will always be a full time job. If you are not willing to keep an eye on your system temperatures, over-clocking is not for you. Sure you can get a fantastic cooling system that will operate daily for years, but there is always the chance of failure and when that day comes, you will want to be watching.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-exactly-is-overclocking.183518/
Relevancy 30.53%

I'm not an enthusiast overclocker, so I was wondering if I can safely push my i5 2500K to 4GHz on stock voltages.
I have an ASUS P8P67 motherboard

A:Overclocking i5-2500k on stock voltages

I got to around 4.3Ghz with 2600K on stock voltages. From what I've read you should manage 4Ghz no problem with stock voltages with a 2500K. With no hyperthreading the temperatures at this speed should be less than my 2600K, so it should not even be a problem with stock heatsink from Intel. Although I'd still advocate using the Asus software to monitor the cpu temps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-i5-2500k-on-stock-voltages.169836/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi everyone!

Just received the following components for my new rig:

CPU - Intel i5 3570K
Mobo - ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
PSU - Corsair TX 750 V2
RAM - G-Skill 2x 4GB Ripjaws (1600MHz)
Cooler - Corsair H100
Case - Corsair Obsidian 650D
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT (120GB)
GPU - ASUS GTX 670 DCII

I would like some perspectives on overclocking this particular Ivy Bridge CPU from members who've had prior experience with it.

The same regarding the ASUS GTX 670 DCII (Non Top edition). Which software do you recommend for OCing the GPU?

A:Overclocking the i5-3570K and Asus GTX 670 DCII

Ritwik7 said:

I would like some perspectives on overclocking this particular Ivy Bridge CPU from members who've had prior experience with it Click to expand...

Ivy Bridge overclocking doesn't really differ from Sandy Bridge oc'ing. The base Vcore and maximum multiplier are different, but apart from that you're dealing with the same beast.
I'd suggest this OCN Ivy Bridge overclocking guide for ASRock motherboards -since it deals with precisely the same setup as yours ( no vendor specific UEFI layout/naming convention problems to translate). As for all overclocking endeavours, your achievable results are going to depend on the ASIC quality- and in the case of a CPU, board stability.

Ritwik7 said:

The same regarding the ASUS GTX 670 DCII (Non Top edition). Which software do you recommend for OCing the GPU?Click to expand...

Either Asus' bundled OC utility ( TweakIT, GPU Tweak), or MSI's Afterburner (the latter includes MSI's Kombuster -similar to Furmark - for test stability testing)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-the-i5-3570k-and-asus-gtx-670-dcii.184745/
Relevancy 30.1%

I over-clocked a old celeron D 2.6GHz. after I over-clocked it the computer runs but wouldn't boot. tried clearing CMOS, disconnected the power from wall, PSU... nothing ever replaced RAM and CPU.

A:Overclocking Celeron D processor became dud, suggestions to the problem?

Just to make sure...killing the power to it for a few seconds won't clear the CMOS if there is a battery on the motherboard. If there's not a jumper to clear the CMOS then try unplugging it, taking the battery out for a few minutes then putting it all back together.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-celeron-d-processor-became-dud-suggestions-to-the-problem.183340/
Relevancy 30.96%

Right so I recently got xfx 6770 and I overclocked it and I done my homework looked at what clocks are stable and searched around a bit and basically I am having some heat issue related problems as when it's under full load in a game it will go up to 80 celsius and thats not it though it then starts freezing getting jumpy and screen tearing and it then ends up with a full lock up and ends up with a screen just with stripes you cant see anything and then forces me to restart. I tried everything and now I decided to turn to this page see if anyone has a solution and by the way I do have my fan at 100% but when on high overclocks it stresses the gpu and causes the same stuff only when on 100% fan cooling

specs:
i7 2.67ghz (920)
8gb ram corsair
xfx 6770
2 hard drives = 1.1tb
2 dvd-roms
atx g7 780w psu

A:Issues overclocking XFX HD 6770

80 degrees is nowhere near the thermal limit of the cards, they are rated for ~105 Celsius. I woulds make sure everything on the car is nice an screwed in, and screwed in solidly. Also what clocks are you getting the 6770 up to, every card is different some may not overclock at all. You could get GPU-Z and just send over the sensors tab, and check the asis quality of the card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/issues-overclocking-xfx-hd-6770.183639/
Relevancy 31.39%

never knew that you could overclock the geforce 6200 so I just downloaded the precisionx and put the gpu clock to 400 and it increased the game by 2 fps while I put it on max clock the screen started tearing I guess it cant handle the max clock + werent low profile gfx cards and this old gfx card unclockable?

A:Overclocking madness

Any chip can be overclocked with the right software, the question is how much before it becomes unstable or burns up. Every chip has it's own physical limit but the real limiting factor is cooling; my old 6200 ran so hot under load I never tried overclocking it. Not worth messing with for the miniscule gains. You need a new video card because the 6200 won't run any newer games at all. Since you obviously are using an older motherboard with AGP graphics slot ( or is it PCI?), the choices are very limited. I had the same problem 2 years ago, and I bought the best AGP card available, an HIS IceQ Radeon HD 4670 for $120, and it worked pretty good. It was still available at NewEgg but now it's out of stock and none of the available AGP or PCI cards are any better than the 6200.
Time for a new computer!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-madness.181744/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi

I'm quite new to overclocking and been trying out som overclocking settings back and forth, also tried unlocking the 2 extra cores - but for gaming it's not too necessary afaik, now I only got the multiplier increased and disabled Turbo Core, my goal is not to push it to breaking point, been running at 4 GHz, right now 3.6 GHz. Use aftermarket cooler, nothing fancy, Hyper TX3 and two 2000RPM 120mm fans, one at front and one at back. 4 GHz rased the CPU temp to about 52-55 when playing Battlefield 3. My question is; Do I make a big mistake increasing only the multiplier and leaving the other settings on Auto?

A:Phenom II X4 960T multiplier overclocking

It's fine to just leave everything at auto if you change the multiplier then again if/when you change the BUS speed you will also have to change the mem.speed (lower it a bit) because when you increase the BUS speed then the mem.speed also goes up = bluescreen / no boot. So use the BUS to finalize the overclock and the Multiplier (and vCore voltage) to do the main overclock with even tho you will need a better cooler for that.

Also a good thing to do is to make a "baseline" and note all default values (vCore, mem.voltage, bus, multiplier, mem.speed), to do that you can use (for ex.) CPU-Z...when that is done change everything manually so that all the values are the same as when they are on auto...then you can go and overclock from there.

Don't forget to have good airflow in and out from your case when you overclock! Here is a small "guide" that you could maybe find something interesting in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phenom-ii-x4-960t-multiplier-overclocking.181948/
Relevancy 30.96%

I recently bought my gtx 570 and love it does everything I want (havent tested very demanding games just yet) and I was wandering is there any game out there that I would have to overclock it

A:Is it worth overclocking my EVGA GTX 570

Well what games do you play? BF3 for example would benefit from an overclock. You should be able to get 800-850Mhz without a voltage tweak.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-overclocking-my-evga-gtx-570.181356/
Relevancy 30.96%

While I am aware that everyone is on the bash Bulldozer bandwagon (understandable) thought I go ahead and share some results from the AIDA64 Extreme Edition benchmark section. After becoming more familiar with the hardware and after considerable tweaking I?ve managed to achieve a stable 4.8GHz overclock. Ultimately, this required a CPU multi and BCLK combination overclock as I was never able to stabilize using just the CPU multiplier.

Although Bulldozer clearly failed to live up to the pre-launch hype I would have to say that for the money ($219) the FX-8120P delivers a pretty good punch. If you do a lot of multi-media or other multi-threaded applications this processor is worthy of consideration. If hard core gaming is your primary interest then Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or SB-E are the better alternatives.

Anyway, here are the results produced using Version 1.85.1600 of the AIDA64 Extreme Edition package.

CpuZ Validation
CpuZ Screenshot

Memory Read

Memory Write

Memory Copy

A:AMD FX-8120P overclocking results

Memory Latency

CPU Queen

CPU PhotoWorxx

CPU ZLib

CPU AES

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-fx-8120p-overclocking-results.173211/
Relevancy 30.96%

First, I'm not a gamer and know virtually nothing about overclocking other than the very basics.

However, for some time now when I start the computer, about 50% of the time it refuses to open Windows and I have to force quit. When I then start it again, I get a message that overclocking failed and I have to either enter Setup or use F2 to use the default settings.

But I never have attempted to overclock.

It's about a 4 or 5 year old self-built unit with an Asus P4c800-E Deluxe motherboard and a Northwoods 2.8 processor & 3g of RAM. Nothing at all exotic.

Is there something I could do to stop this time consuming and annoying restart situation?

Appreciate any help from you "overclockers"!

A:Simple overclocking question

Have you ever changed your internal battery?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/simple-overclocking-question.178122/
Relevancy 29.67%

I am not a for overclocking build selection system Seeking X79 & memory gamer I Seeking overclocking & memory selection for X79 system build play games occasionally but don t build systems for gaming I am a commercial photographer architectural product industrial I shoot high mega pixel files build and save multiple copies layered Photoshop files very large scans and video footage I need a lot of storage space processing speed transfer speed and memory My previous builds have been dual Xeon systems and x Win OS since Win Previous systems have included dual Ghz dual Ghz dual Mhz amp dual Mhz using Asus amp Supermicro boards Besides my workstations I ve built a half dozen other systems The last systems have included drive RAID arrays in RAID config for working video files I haven t built a system in about years My goal is to build a system suitable for my photo video needs that provides modest stable overclocking - targeting Ghz I am also interested in combining a pair of Seagate Hybrid drives Momentus XT in RAID as the OS drive for a balance of space and performance rather than going to SSD I ve never played with Overclocking nor water cooled systems As I start this build I am tight on funds and propose to bake in a planned future upgrade to allow the cost of those components to go down and still see an immediate jump in speed over my current system I expect this new build to be X as fast as my current system minute render in minutes The future upgrade will further potentially double the speed - min Build purchased so far gt Corsair Carbide R case - selected for large side fan USB eSATA amp Firewire ports on front face gt ASRock X Extreme MoBo selected for GB support USB SATA III RAID also for fairly simple Overclocking capability gt MasterCooler Gold w PSU gt Corsair H Hydro CPU Cooler kit extra fans for push pull airflow selected for high efficiency simple liquid cooling also considering Maingear Epic T thermal compound top end but expensive gt LG Blu-ray burner I burn a lot of Blu-rays as part of my Backup Archive strategy hundreds per year gt Front mounted Card reader with additional USB gt EVGA Nvidia GTX Superclocked GPU bought used for selected as a cost saving option that still provides ample CUDA cores for video rendering to be purchased over next - weeks gt Intel i CPU Overclocked to a modest but stable GHz gt GB GBx Mushkin Quad Chan CAS RAM - - - gt Dual Seagate Momentus XT GB Hybrid Drives in RAID for OS I replaced a laptop drive with the GB version and was impressed plus it offers much more space than a midsized single SSD or dual smaller SSDs gt RAID TB Barracuda GB s rpm drive for Data Drive frankly I like the Hitachis better but the Seagates are somewhat cheaper I will probably get these last hoping the cost drops further and production increases gt Windows Developers OS beta free for evaluation amp testing driver issues gt Adobe CS amp CS Suites I also plan to continue using the TB Lacie Big eSata drive I now have as well as a small collection of RAID NAS drives My current workstation will also stay on my desk along with my newer Thnkpad i - QM GB RAM dual GB RAID Future upgrade - gt Intel i X gt GB RAM x GB gt Nvidia GTX gt possible SSD OS drive s Issues amp Questions I have are related to the speed and latency of memory for this system and issues related to overclocking Any suggestions recommendations Much appreciated nbsp

A:Seeking overclocking & memory selection for X79 system build

Not sure how "used" it is but that evga gtx460 1GB SC is $129.99 new.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperClo...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330282267&sr=1-3

I recommend you stay away from Seagate for there horrible failure rate. Western Digital Caviar Black or Blue is the way to go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seeking-overclocking-memory-selection-for-x79-system-build.178016/
Relevancy 30.96%

I am thinking about overclocking my CPU to minimize a possible bottleneck when i put in my new crossfire ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB cards, should i be putting it up to 4GHZ?

Oh and if you don't know already the standard clock of the 950 is 3.06GHz, i also have a CoolerMaster V10 to cool the CPU so heat shouldn't be a problem

A:Overclocking Core i7-950 processor

DKRON said:

...should i be putting it up to 4GHZ?Click to expand...

That kind of depends on the chip. Always best to OC incrementally. Some chips don't overclock well, some do, and some will but might need a bucketload of voltage tossed into the CPU and chipset. The first couple of 950's I tried OC'ed moderately well, but required close to 1.4v to get them there. The chip I now use won't OC as high (~3.8-3.9) but does so at good voltage (~1.18-1.2v)

DKRON said:

Oh and if you don't know already the standard clock of the 950 is 3.06GHz, i also have a CoolerMaster V10 to cool the CPU so heat shouldn't be a problemClick to expand...

The V10 is a good air cooler. The TEC doesn't work overly effectively until the heat production starts ramping up. Overall it's going to be no more effective than a top-tier air cooler (i.e. Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Archon) or closed loop all-in-one watercooler (i.e. Corsair H80/H100, Antec Kuhler 920) so keep an eye on the temps during stability/stress testing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-core-i7-950-processor.176255/
Relevancy 30.53%

hello,
guys i am an absolute newbie in overclocking.who just know what overclocking do.i have a very antique pc running p4 2.4 Ghz and since i donot afford to buy a new one till i pass out my college i would like to overclock it.And for that i need your help.please just guide me through the whole process.i am proving log generated by CPU-z below.
i ll be thankful for any kind of help.

A:Help in overclocking Intel P4 2.4GHz Prescott

CPU-Z TXT Report
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binaries

CPU-Z version 1.58

Processors

Number of processors 1
Number of threads 1

APICs

Processor 0
-- Core 0
-- Thread 0 0

Processors Information

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 1 (max 1)
Number of threads 1 (max 1)
Name Intel Pentium 4
Codename Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 478 mPGA (0x2)
CPUID F.3.3
Extended CPUID F.3
Core Stepping C0
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2400.2 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 18.0 x 133.3 MHz
Rated Bus speed 533.4 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
L1 Data cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control no

Thread dumps

CPU Thread 0
APIC ID 0
Topology Processor ID 0, Core ID 0, Thread ID 0
Type 01001001h
Max CPUID level 00000005h
Max CPUID ext. level 80000008h
Cache descriptor Level 1, D, 16 KB, 1 thread(s)
Cache descriptor Level 2, U, 1 MB, 1 thread(s)
Cache descriptor Level 1, T, 12 KB, 1 thread(s)

CPUID
0x00000000 0x00000005 0x756E6547 0x6C65746E 0x49656E69
0x00000001 0x00000F33 0x00010800 0x0000041D 0xBFEBFBFF
0x00000002 0x605B5101 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x007C7040
0x00000003 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x00000004 0x00000121 0x01C0003F 0x0000001F 0x00000000
0x00000004 0x00000143 0x01C0103F 0x000003FF 0x00000000
0x00000005 0x00000040 0x00000040 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000000 0x80000008 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000001 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000002 0x20202020 0x20202020 0x20202020 0x6E492020
0x80000003 0x286C6574 0x50202952 0x69746E65 0x52286D75
0x80000004 0x20342029 0x20555043 0x30342E32 0x007A4847
0x80000005 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000006 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x04008040 0x00000000
0x80000007 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000008 0x00002028 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

MSR 0x0000001B 0x00000000 0xFEE00900
MSR 0x00000017 0x000A0000 0x00000000
MSR 0x0000002C 0x00000000 0x12110412
MSR 0x000001A0 0x00000000 0x00040089

Chipset

Northbridge Intel i845G rev. A1
Southbridge Intel 82801DB (ICH4) rev. 01
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 512 MBytes
Memory Frequency 166.7 MHz (4:5)
CAS# latency (CL) 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 3
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 7
DRAM Idle Timer 16

Memory SPD

DIMM # 1
SMBus address 0x50
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Samsung (CE00000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number M3 68L6423HUN-CCC
Serial number 0615CB43
Manufacturing date Week 09/Year 07
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
Nominal Voltage 2.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no
JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #1 2.5-3-3-7-n.a. @ 166 MHz
JEDEC #2 3.0-3-3-8-n.a. @ 200 MHz

DIMM # 1
SPD registers
00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
00 80 08 07 0D 0A 02 40 00 04 50 65 00 82 08 00 01
10 0E 04 18 01 02 20 C0 60 70 00 00 3C 28 3C 28 40
20 60 60 40 40 00 00 00 00 00 37 46 28 28 50 00 00
30 00 00 00 0... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-in-overclocking-intel-p4-2-4ghz-prescott.173513/
Relevancy 31.39%

hi every1 as the title says i need some help overclocking my athlon 2x 240 cuz on most games they just use 100% of the cpu and it heats like crap on 100% usage lasting barely 3-4 hrs on stock cooling, im kinda green on clocking but i got basic knowledge of hardware and stuff here is my pc
amd athlon x2 240 2.8GHz
Mobo gigabyte M61PME-S2P with nvidia chipset
3GB of ram DDR2 800
Video card ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
Im not sure i should do it from bios or with 3rd party software i found lots of stuff out there but still confused and scared to set my pc on fire lol ! so please whoever has experience in these stuff guide me through.
thank you very much,,

i know my pc is ancient more reason to overclock it

A:Help overclocking Athlon x2 240

Night Fire said:

and it heats like crap on 100% usage lasting barely 3-4 hrs on stock cooling,
amd athlon x2 240 2.8GHzClick to expand...

if you don't have a heat problems on stock clock (2.8GHz),then you can try overclocking it to 3.2Ghz through the bios by increasing the front side bus (FSB)(HT LINK).from 200 to 230 MHz , or to 3.4GHz by increasing the HT Link to 245MHz.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-overclocking-athlon-x2-240.173551/
Relevancy 30.1%

I am really new to overclocking, and my first attempt my have fried my system. I went to the Bios and set my system to overclock to... I don't remember the speed, but when I hit save and exit the system never booted the OS it just blanked the screen. I let it sit for a while and nothing happened. I reset it in hopes to get back to the BIOS but after turning it on the BIOS wont even boot. The screen never turns on but the comp sounds like its running fine. Anyone know what the issue is? Or know how to do a hard reset to clear the changes I made to the BIOS?

A:Problems overclocking, system won't boot BIOS

Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for a few minutes, reinstall it and start the PC. That should return the BIOS to default settings. Keep in mind that if you have SATA drives and the BIOS was set to SATA, AHCI or RAID, be sure to reset it to that or you could have trouble starting Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-overclocking-system-wont-boot-bios.173410/
Relevancy 31.39%

hey people,

I want to buy a new PC, but I'm not sure what processor I should take. My first option was a i7 2600, but now I'm thinking of a 2600k. But is overclocking worth it? Or should I just stick to a 2600? And if I take the 2600k and start overclocking, are there any risks I should be aware of?

Best regards,

Broeci

A:Is overclocking worth it?

The fact that you are asking if "overclocking is worth it" probably answers your question.

Whether or not you OC is probably dependant upon what workload you undertake, how much you like tinkering, and if you are working under some very tight time constraints - the latter is more applicable to content creation and media applications.

Personally, from the price difference of the two models, I would go with the 2600K. Pricing difference is minimal, and resale -if you plan to upgrade in the future- will be higher. So even if you do not plan on overclocking, the 2600K makes a degree of economic sense.

For most users I would think that Sandy Bridge's turbo option (think of it as automatic overclocking) will suffice. If, however, you want a little free performance- virtually every 2600K will attain a higher 24/7 frequency for little or no extra power draw/heat output- or you want to explore the CPUs performance parameters then light or moderate overclocking will cause no harm so long as you observe some basic procedure. Even motherboard based overclocking ( hardware and/or software) will offer a substantial performance boost (application dependant) with stability and a minimum of user input.

An overview of what Sandy Bridge overlocking can achieve >>here<< and >>here<<

Be aware that overclocking the CPU impacts the RAM (memory) speed as the two are linked via memory dividers ( CPU: RAM ratio's). For overclocking purposes -even the one-click (software) or one-button (hardware) variety- you would need to have DDR3-1600 modules at the least (with DDR3-1866 for high overclocks which I would not recommend if using the boxed Intel cooler).

If it sounds as though I'm fence-sitting, that's because I am. I have overclocked virtually every component I've ever owned that was capable of being overclocked...but then, I really like exploring the capabilities of a system I put together - both from a performance aspect, and judging long term stability.
I presently run two systems, an older Core 2 Quad and a X58 based system. The former runs at either a stock (undervolted) or with a mild overclock (25%) using only stock voltage. The X58 runs at either stock* (again, undervolted), mild OC¹, medium OC² or heavy OC³. Virtually every motherboard these days allows for multiple BIOS/UEFI profiles to be saved as used as appropriate- so you can run the profile that best fits the application(s) you plan on using. Using these different profiles over the same applications then gives you an accurate "hands on" guide to any worthwhile gains you may experience- as opposed to online reviews which may use benchmarks (especially synthetic test suites) which may be of only academic interest.

* Stock for average mixed workload- browsing, email, media viewing
¹ Mild OC - Benchmarking for scaling performance in new applications or major revisions to current applications
² and ³ Med./Heavy OC for intensive applications ( media encoding, achiving (compression), gaming etc.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-overclocking-worth-it.172938/
Relevancy 30.96%

I'm new to the world of pc gaming, but I needed a good system to run fsx on without breaking the bank. at the moment, I run fsx on this system:
AMD Phenom II X6 1045t 2.7ghz
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1gb GDDR5
8gb ram
1tb hard drive
Windows 7 home premium
(resolution: 1360x768)

i get around 25-50fps depending on the weather and the aircraft, and the settings aren't all maxed out.
is there any point in overclocking? or could someone suggest optimum settings which give smooth flight and the best graphics possible? thanks

A:Is overclocking going to make much difference to my fps on FSX?

You very well may gain a few FPS by OC'ing. FSX is one of those odd games that is extremely CPU dependent (don't ask me why) :rolleyes: FSX is usually fairly fluid @ 25 FPS, so if you OC your PII x6 up to 3.7Ghz , you may be able to get the next level of settings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-overclocking-going-to-make-much-difference-to-my-fps-on-fsx.172854/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi would be grate if anyone can help, looking for a software that overclocks the cpu, if their is any. Looking for something like rivatuner. Just want to add that i know i can change it in the bios just want to know if their is a windows prog like rivatuner.

Regards.

A:Overclocking software

Hi foxalot and welcome to Techspot If you happen to be on an AMD platform there is always AMD Overdrive. Motherboard manufacturers also offer assorted OC tools that would be specific to your hardware.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-software.171804/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hello I am a newbie overclocker . So recently I have been trying to get my Intel 2 Duo e8200 (originally 2.6 ghz) to 3.7 ghz. As of now I have been able to get it up to 3.4 ghz without having to increase my ram voltage. So in my bios I am given the option to increase my DDr2 reference voltage my increments of 10mhz. I am wondering what the safe ranges are for ram voltage. Can anybody give me a good idea of what I should do next. And yes I have already run stress test on my cpu.

A:Overclocking Intel Core 2 Duo E8200

i had Intel 2 Duo e8200 and i know a lot about this cpu so i personally don't recommend to overclock your cpu more than 3.4 Ghz to avoid heat and unstable or failure system and that's could damage your cpu , ram or mainboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-intel-core-2-duo-e8200.171758/
Relevancy 31.39%

hey guys
just finished assemblin my first rig, n i m aimin at overclockin it to 4-4.1Ghz
n since i m new to overclocking, i will need some help doing it without ruinin it
thx in advance
rig-
phenom II 1100T
M4A88TD-V EVO
CM V6GT
Transcend 1x4GB DDR3 1333

A:Help overclocking my new rig

if you have a good cooling you can easily overclocking it to 4 GHz by increasing core voltage to 1.5 volt and set the cpu multiplier to 20.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-overclocking-my-new-rig.170788/
Relevancy 31.39%

Temp very high

CPU
Intel Pentium 4
531 sl8hz malay
3.00GHZ/1M/800/04A

mobo
Asus Ai Proactive
P5GD1-HVM/S
Intel 915 P chipset
Just started up the above cpu and mobo it seems to be heating up very high???any ideas how to check what is wrong?i defo put enough thermal compound on to!

A:Mobo and CPU overclocking?

Too much thermal compound acts like an insulator, so take the CPU/Fan apart and clean off the old thermal paste. Re-apply a small pea sized amount of paste in the center and use the edge of a plastic credit card and wipe it across the CPU die (metal top of the CPU) to make a thin uniform coating of thermal compound without any over-spill onto the rest of the CPU

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-and-cpu-overclocking.167764/
Relevancy 30.53%

Okay so I have a dell xps 420, don't really want to replace much besides my gfx card, bump up from 4gbs to 8gbs of ram and obviously up my psu wattage to handle to upgrades. I don't want to replace my quad core q6600 cpu yet but I do want to overclock to about 3.0ghz. Obviously you can't overclock the cpu, or any part for that matter, in dells without physically altering the chip because of the bios limitations. My question is, when I transfer these parts into a new case with a new mobo, will I then be able to overclock the cpu?

A:Overclocking Dell parts in new case?

Putting the computer in a new case will not make a difference, but changing the motherboard will let you overclock. Before you do any overclocking, make sure you have a decent CPU cooler. The stock one probably will not be able to handle much of an overclock.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-dell-parts-in-new-case.169080/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hello I am would like to know how much I could OC the AMD Phenom II x T Black Ed with the stock cooler Could I reach up to GHz Would it be stable I am not really confident in OCing with the stock cooler I would like to know what would be a good CPU cooler for the AMD overclocking II 1100T + cooling x6 AMD Phenom Phenom II AMD Phenom II x6 1100T overclocking + cooling x T BE I would like to reach AMD Phenom II x6 1100T overclocking + cooling at least GHz with the aftermarket cooler Would the Cooler Master Hyper be good enough If not could you give me some suggestions I am not looking for anything expensive up to about Euros maybe less Here is the rig I will be using AMD Phenom II x6 1100T overclocking + cooling CPU AMD Phenom II x T Black Edition Motherboard GIGABYTE FXA UD Ram x GB Dual Channel DDRIII GPU GeForce GT - I will upgrade in the future hopefully PSU Corsair TX HDD TB CPU Cooler CoolerMaster Hyper - maybe something else depending on how good this cooler is Target CPU speed at least GHz Thanks in advance nbsp

A:AMD Phenom II x6 1100T overclocking + cooling

While a 4GHz overclock for the Phenom 1100T is fairly typical and taking into account that the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ is a pretty good cooler for the price; you may be able to achieve a stable 4GHz overclock. That will depend primarily the amount of voltage needed and the corresponding issue of heat, as the saying goes "Your mileage may vary".

Keep in mind that you have the option of adding a second fan in a push-pull configuration for better cooling with your current 212+.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1100t-overclocking-cooling.167953/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi!

So I'm now trying to OC a friends computer but I can't change the multipler and when I change the bus speed (or what ever it's called) from 200 (default) to say 220 it also changes the memory speed and HT speed.

So what should or how can a lower the HT speed and memory speed so that if I set the bus speed to (ex.) 250 the memory would still run @ ~200MHz (according to CPU-z)..?

MOBO: A-S78H
CPU: AMD Athlon 4450e

A:Need some advice on overclocking

you are sol unless you have the unlocked cpu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-some-advice-on-overclocking.166011/
Relevancy 41.71%

I wasn't aware that certain cases don't support usb 3.0, how is this possible since it's the same size/shape as usb 2.0?

A:Cases supporting USB 3.0

Because USB 3.0 is just now beginning to be implemented. Plus, there is a ton of surplus cases with USB 2.0 by the many manufactures still in stock that needs to be moved.

Even brand new offerings from laptop manufactures still only carry USB 2.0 though some are offered with 3.0.

At this point neither AMD or Intel offer native support on their cpus for USB 3.0 though if rumor holds true the new AMD Bulldozer cpus may offer it.

As for cases the Cooler Master HAF-942 has it and the newer version of the HAF-932 has it as well. Keep in mind these are full towers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cases-supporting-usb-3-0.165506/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi all,

I have a new machine that I built, and I'm trying to overclock it but I'm a bit unsure of what to do exactly, what is safe, and how much I can go with my specific hardware.

PSU: 700W Stealthmaster
CPU: i5 2500K
Mobo: MSI G43

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60177&vpn=2500K & P67A-G43&manufacture=Bundle Deals
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57952

Graphics Card: HIS 2GB Radeon 6950 (I'll unlock the shaders on this separately)

What are the things I need to change in my bios? I'm currently using the stock heatsink, so I don't necessarily want to go too high on the overclocking. What can I do with the multiplier?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

A:Unsure about overclocking, could use some pointers

What can I do with the multiplier?Click to expand...

You can do whatever you want, but for overclocking, you should increase it.

What are the things I need to change in my bios?Click to expand...

You don't "need" to change anything; but if you're overclocking, then you'll have to.

I'd guess you can go up to ?4.5ghz max, probably less.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unsure-about-overclocking-could-use-some-pointers.164611/
Relevancy 30.96%

can i oc core2duo e6400 @2.13ghz? how can i oc it and what is its maximum fsb that it will be stable.. thanks in advance...

A:Overclocking Core 2 Duo E6400

Yes.

Depends on your board, cooling, voltages, individual cpu...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-core-2-duo-e6400.162698/
Relevancy 29.67%

I apologize in advance for any typos I don t catch and fix I m trying to type with a wrist brace on What are you going to use the PC for Gaming How much is your budget Not yet known depends on tax return Where are you located a k a fill out your help, questions points finer overclocking, about (FSB, Build/upgrade etc.) the profile Indiana Are you willing to buy online Yes frequent Newegg user Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build Yes I am only upgrading my current system Looking to buy at most RAM Video card Hard Drive and monitor Do you need other peripherals like a monitor keyboard and mouse among others Will be reusing what I have except maybe the monitor Have you already bought any parts Not yet Do you have an Operating System OS Yes Windows -bit Will you need any aftermarket cooling such as a CPU GPU cooler or a watercooling setup Not sure yet Hi all Tried some Google-fu but didn t find anything that really answered my questions I want to upgrade my system this spring Build/upgrade help, questions about the finer points (FSB, overclocking, etc.) primarily for gaming and I want to have a better understanding of what FSB is and how it affects my system before I go and spend my money I don t feel I need help with specific item recommendations rather I would like some questions answered so I can make a more educated purchase when the time comes Here are some detailed stats for my system including pertinent information that I have questions about MOTHERBOARD ASUS M A TD-V EVO Front side bus Up to MT s HyperTransport Interface Dual-channel memory architecture x -pin DIMM slots max supported GB unbuffered EEC and non-EEC DDR O C O C MHz I will NOT be replacing motherboard this spring PROCESSOR AMD Phenom II x Quad-Core GHz MHz HyperTransports L Cache x KB L Cache MB I will NOT be replacing the processor this spring There are several things that I do not understand about these two products I bought them on the recommendation of a friend who knows more about this stuff than I do but was not interested in explaining them at the time Now I want to know what this stuff means before I buy anymore Here are my following questions What is Front side bus exactly I understand that it is the speed and that you want the MHz to match but beyond that I know next to nothing What are Hyper Transports Is this on the motherboard a maximum threshold or a recommendation At MHz is my processor sub-par or within parameters What is the O C and O C on the motherboard I know it has to do with the front side bus but I don t know what the O C stands for I would guess that it means overclocked but I do not know When I bought RAM I went with the because I did not understand this O C stuff I am looking to add more RAM or even replace the current RAM possibly up to the max of GBs For the record I m not interested at this point in overclocking This is due to the fact that I don t know what overclocking is or how to do it I would appreciate a description of what overclocking is and how it affects my system but I don t think I will worry about doing so What are the L and L Cache What do they do and how do they affect my computer s performance With the processor I do not see anything about a frequency that matches the motherboard or the RAM How do I determine what frequency my processor works at Thanks in advance for the help nbsp

A:Build/upgrade help, questions about the finer points (FSB, overclocking, etc.)

All of this information is already available online so it doesn't make sense to repeat what's available.

HyperTransport:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport

AMD uses HyperTransport to replace the Front-Side Bus in their Opteron, Athlon 64, Sempron 64, Turion 64, Phenom and Phenom II families of microprocessors.

In personal computers, the front-side bus (FSB) is the bus that carries data between the CPU and the northbridge.

This should explain DDR3:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

What is the 1800(O.C.) and 1600(O.C.) on the motherboard?
The motherboard supports Overclocking up to those speeds.

What are the L2 and L3 Cache?
L1 is closest to the core, typically smallest and fastest. L2 is typically bigger and slower, and 'further away' (both physical, distance, and in latency). L3 is even bigger, slower and further, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/build-upgrade-help-questions-about-the-finer-points-fsb-overclocking-etc.158053/
Relevancy 30.53%
A:Intel Celeron E1200 overclocking?

It is certainly not normal, though I've personally seen this on many Celeron models (like the 900 and the E3300), and it usually turns out OK anyway.

I've had a minor incident when it mis-showed the frequency calculation, but in that case it was related to the motherboard not supporting OC that well...

Just as an FYI, overclocking even though the frequency-calculation is incorrect usually don't result in any damage. But would be very careful if I were you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-celeron-e1200-overclocking.161438/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hey guys, I'm going to get a Core i7 2600k for my new gaming build but I'm unsure about how the turbo-mode is affected by overclocking. The stock speed of this processor is 3.4GHz which goes up to 3.8GHz with turbo-mode.

If I overclock it to 4.4GHz does this mean that it will run at 3.4GHz with turbo-mode going up to 4.4GHz? Or will it run at 4.4GHz all the time?

Thanks in advance!

A:How is turbo-mode affected by overclocking the 2600k?

From my experience with the previous Generation, if you overclock with turbo on it just increases the turbo auto clock, so turn it off, and control everything manually to get the overclock you desire.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-is-turbo-mode-affected-by-overclocking-the-2600k.160756/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi guys somewhat new to the site I m looking to overclock my system a bit further so I can hold off on upgrading for a while Current setup AMD Athlon X ghz Abit K N mobo Came with a Athlon single-core Gig corsair ram and gig of (already mildly Athlon 4200 X2 AMD overclocked) overclocking an Further some other ram got this from my dad have specs from CPU-Z All the modules are PC mhz Graphics card is an ATi HD overclocked to Cor memory According to Catalyst Control s Overdrive - this was the Further overclocking an AMD Athlon X2 4200 (already mildly overclocked) maximum stable setting for the card but still a big step up Further overclocking an AMD Athlon X2 4200 (already mildly overclocked) from my old X Ice-Q At my current Overclock settings The CPU is currently Multiplier X Bus HT Core voltage is As far as cooling goes can t remember what the brand was I built this computer back in or but It s basically got a gigantic copper heatsink fan which should be pretty decent for cooling Now my goal is if possible to push this system up to ghz Like I said if possible I m currently looking through a few threads posts and am going to try it on my own but if anyone has any advice to offer or has a similar system they OC d it d help a bunch Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Further overclocking an AMD Athlon X2 4200 (already mildly overclocked)

You have you CPU right where most of the 4200's OC'ed too before needing considerable bump in voltage to go higher. again this is was the common characteristic for most of that silicon. Here is a guide to OC'ing the 4200 if you want to give it a shot at going higher.
http://www.anandtech.com/print/1718

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/further-overclocking-an-amd-athlon-x2-4200-already-mildly-overclocked.159708/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi guys. I have one problem. I have had overclocked my cpu to 256fbs, but I had to overclock voltage too (if not, copmuter crashes at 250 o.O). I have had changed ram frequency to 667 (org. 800). So i think that I could overclock my cpu a bit more without crashing. What do you think?

My spec's:

Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM
RAM: 3gb 800mhz
GPU: Nvidia 9600gt
cpu: Intel dual core E2200 (now overclocked to 2.85)

Best regards, and sory for my bad english.

A:Intel E2200 CPU overclocking

Think about what? Its an okay over c lock. Check you temps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-e2200-cpu-overclocking.159554/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi, trying to overclock my i5 760 and have failed miserably so far,

I think the max i got it to so far is 3.6 Ghz, which was unstable then 3.4 Ghz which was actually ok but being really clever like i am, forgot the settings...

just need some help with the Base clock etc

anyone who has used similiar board and processor please tell me you settings...

3.8 Ghz would be max but 3.4 Ghz minimum, somewhere inbetween that plz

thank you to anyone who helps

A:Overclocking i5 760 with a H50 and Gigabyte P55-USB3

Here's a guide that may help:
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-i5-760-with-a-h50-and-gigabyte-p55-usb3.159738/
Relevancy 30.96%

hey guys, I had a recent storm that caused my GTS460 to pop, during the time i have to wait for the replacement I'm stuck with my old GT240. My question is....

Whats the best way to go about overclocking my video card. I tried RivaTuner224c but it don't recognise my drivers (Forceware 260.99 for win7).

its default values are

1024mb ddr3 128bit
GPU clock 550mhz
Memory 700mhz
Shader 1340
bandwidth 22.4GB\s

thanks in advance look forward to hearing from you

A:Overclocking my video card

You can try using Driver Sweeper and install an older version of the drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-my-video-card.158032/
Relevancy 31.39%

Alright guys bare with me, i'm pretty nooby. So I just got this card and I want to overclock it. I downloaded MSI Afterburner, but it doesnt give me any maximum settings. How can I find a good number to set my core clock to? Default is 780 right now without overclocking. Any tips would be nice

A:Overclocking my GTX 460 HAWK

You might want to give this a read. How To Overclock Your Graphics Card

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-my-gtx-460-hawk.157828/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hello all I I dive newbie bit the take Overclocking should if confused a am new to the forums and have a question Right now I seem to be at an impasse I have never overclocked before but ever Overclocking newbie a bit confused if I should take the dive since hearing about it have wanted to try it But before I do I have several quick questions Right now I am runing a Dell mobo so I would need to buy a new one in order to OC from the bios I already have one picked out but I also do want to get myself a Razar Naga mouse and I can only get one or the other at the moment so I want to make sure I make an informed choice The CPU I am currently running is a Wolfdale E ghz which is its stock speed I upgraded from the stock dell processor that came with my Inspirion s and noticed a big difference But what I am wondering is how big a difference overclocking will actually make Right now I mainly play WoW and from what I understand it is more Overclocking newbie a bit confused if I should take the dive CPU intensive then GPU so I figured that a slight overclock would be pretty beneficial with the new expansion coming and upgrades visually to certain parts of the game I want to run it was smoothly as possible on my budget I do say a slight overclock because I have never done so before and dont want to get out of hand From what I understand the CPU I have is a great overclocker but I dont know if my expectations are too high since my knowledge of overclocking is trivial So to summarize do you think that overclocking may be beneficial in my position and if so how much might I need to overclock to see any real gains in a game like WoW that relies more in the CPU Or should I probably not worry about it since I have an alright cpu and dont play anything too modern like Crysis and instead spend my money on that Razar I have my eyes on Thanks in advance for any answers nbsp

A:Overclocking newbie a bit confused if I should take the dive

i wouldn't bother, that processor is plenty capable for what you need it for... so why risk it?

overclocking is, by all means, not a difficult procedure but if you're new i would advise you to do some searching for a similar configuration and see what each setting does. there are quite a few message boards besides TS that specialize in OC configurations and support. please keep in mind that your cooling system plays one of the biggest (if not the biggest) roles in overclocking, so read up on different cooling options as well if you plan on giving it a try.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-newbie-a-bit-confused-if-i-should-take-the-dive.154444/
Relevancy 31.39%

I recently purchased an X3 and after being disappointed in the fact that it's a CADAC and thus not unlockable to an X4, I decided to overclock it. I managed to get it up to 3307MHz, but I've hit a wall. I can't get it stable, even with voltage increases, past this speed. In fact, I've actually had to dial the voltage down to 1.4V from 1.425V stock to produce stability at this speed. I've tried lowering the HT/NB, RAM speeds, and upping voltages, but nothing seems to work.

Am I missing something here?

Idle temps: 21C
Load temps: 31C

Specs:

AMD Athlon II X3 [email protected]
Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4
4GB Geil DDR3 1333
OCZ 700W PSU [email protected]
Zotac Geforce [email protected],1625,1000
Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-athlon-ii-x3-425.157369/
Relevancy 31.39%

i have a radeon HD 5870, 6gb ddr3 1333mhz, and a liquid cooled i7 860.
id like to know what i have to do to overclock my cpu to at least 3.5 ghz up to 4.0 ghz(from what ive heard 3.5 is safe with a stock cooler and 4.0 should be fine with lquid cooling and wont use too much voltage). i would like it if i could overclock it so that my cpu wont bottleneck my gpu, however much that is.

i bought my computer from alienware, so some of the properties in the BIOs are locked and i have a bad stock motherboard.
if i need to change the voltage to get the oc i want, how do i check the voltage limit for my mother board?
can i get a new BIOs for the alienware's intel stock motherboard?
if so, where?
or do i have to buy a new motherboard?

thanks for yur help in advance!

A:Overclocking i7 860

What do you mean by "I have a bad stock motherboard"?
Which options in the BIOS are locked?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-i7-860.156761/
Relevancy 30.53%

H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)
Does this motherboard support overclocking for the cpu because I can't find options for overclocking in bios.
I have an AMD Athlon II x2 245 dual core.

A:H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) overclocking

If it doesn't have those options in BIOS then no, you can't overclock it from BIOS. There is some software around that offers overclocking from within Windows, although I'm not sure what to tell you to get, or where to get it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/h-rs880-uatx-aloe-overclocking.156557/
Relevancy 31.39%

When i overclock my processor i get an overclock fail and need to change the FSB back, it runs at 200 mhz normal, i get severe instability issues when i up the FSB to 210... Im thinking it could be my useless power supply, any ideas?

1. Motherboard - BIOSTAR P43-A7
2. Graphic interface - Pci-EX nvidia 8400 GS
3. Memory - 4GB DDR2 ( running ing X86 so only 3GB technically)
4. CPU & Speed :
6. Power Supply Make/Model - CIC (cannot find make)
7. Watt output/Amperage - 450W

A:Overclocking keeps failing

Well did you try increase the voltage to start?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-keeps-failing.155414/
Relevancy 30.53%

I'm currently running my q9550 to 3.0ghz. Used to be at 4 although a bit unstable. Recently noticed that while idling on desktop with cpu-z and real temp that it fluctuates from 2.11 to 3.ghz. However when i run intel burn test on any stress level my overclock is stable at 3 and i pass every time.
I'd like to know what is happening, whether it is good or bad and how to stop it. Hitting 4ghz stable would be nice bonus.

Also forgot to mention my mulitplier changes as well from 8.5x to 6x

A:Noob overclocking problem/question

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency, which can result in decreased average power consumption and decreased average heat production. It can usually be turned off in the BIOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/noob-overclocking-problem-question.154677/
Relevancy 30.96%

I've heard overclocking is not a great idea because it can burn up your vid card.
Is this true?

I don't overclock and my vid card seems to get hot all too often.

A:Burning up vid cards by overclocking?

Usually will only happen if you overvolt for extended periods.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-up-vid-cards-by-overclocking.154621/
Relevancy 31.39%

need help on some good timings on overclocking ddr3 2gb Ram

ty in advance

A:Overclocking DDR3 2GB RAM

Can you provide a little more information? Which motherboard, CPU and memory do you have?

Here's a guide to get you started:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2368074,00.asp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-ddr3-2gb-ram.154255/
Relevancy 31.39%

I cant get it any higher than 3.6GHz. I set the HT link multiplier to 7 to keep it lower than as soon as I set my FSB to more than 259 it goes into constant restart. The memory is on a lower multiplier and the CPU voltage is plentiful. I just don't get it.

I hardly have a rubbish motherboard either. It cost me £70.

any help??

A:Help overclocking x6 1055t

doesnt matter I solved the problem. a few 7 series boards mine included have a problem where the fsb limit is much lower than usual. mine being about 261. other people have said theres is 251. So Il stick with 3.6ghz then use turbo core on as many cores as possible.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-overclocking-x6-1055t.152896/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello Techspot Since I now have my Q up and running again using a Gigabyte motherboard I thought I would do a spot of overclocking to make it a little bit more snappy Its also now fitted with a Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro Rev I m completely new to this though and despite have regarding questions a overclocking few I spending hours online searching hundreds of threads I ve come to realise it doesn t matter what everyone is achieving because its not my hardware So I started up I have a few questions regarding overclocking EasyTune and have a look at what the boosted settings would give me and then entered advanced and changed things myself from there So I have a few questions regarding overclocking far I ve got it to just under GHz just by increasing the multiplier to and the FSB to MHz Using OCCT I ve run the Linpack test for mins just to check it wasn t cooking the CPU and it seems fine Its not crashing or slowing down in anyway it actually feels quicker and now the CPU idles at GHz instead of the usual GHz so seems much quicker to do things from idle The max temps I m seeing are - C but before I go ahead and do a - hr full stress test I just want to make sure everything is fine in regards to voltages and temps So anyway some screens for you to view I couldn t resize as it blurred the readings so will link if they re too big PC at idle http www leekaelin co uk downloads Forum Pics TechSpot CPU idle jpg PC at full load after approx - mins http www leekaelin co uk downloads Forum Pics TechSpot CPU full load jpg As I said it seems stable in use so far but I ve not tried to stress it too much as worried I ll kill it if its wrong lol Plus the PSU is a crappy Dell supplied one so I don t want to push it too hard at all really Does it all seem OK voltage wise How about the FSB Anything else I should be aware of or could try I m quite happy with it but I d rather hear from those with inifinitely more experience in this area than me Thanks in advance nbsp

A:I have a few questions regarding overclocking

Hi leeky,
I see 58c on your load screen-shot, but if you are hitting 68c you may want to turn the fan up as the max temp for the 8300 is 71.4c.
secondly pay no attention to the 12v reading on OCCT, it gets it wrong very often.
third, I would be careful OC'ing with a Dell OEM PSU, they are always hideously poor quality. You would do well to replace it with a decent quality power supply.
Other than that, that is not a bad OC for the Q8300. That is probably all you will get from it as the Q8200/8300 were not known as great overclockers. It is true that "your results may vary" and each chip can vary, however, the vast majority are going to have very similar OC headroom characteristics unless you win the binning lottery and got one that was 'rebinned' to fit a price point demand and has more headroom than the norm. Anyway, Nice job!
****if you want a better reading on the rail voltages, download HWmonitor from here.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
and you can check idle voltage in your BIOS.

EDIT: I just noticed you ran the Linpack not the standard OCCT CPU stability test, so its not surprising that it hit 68c. If its staying below 70c running linpack your doing well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-a-few-questions-regarding-overclocking.152814/
Relevancy 31.39%

I just bought a new Sparkle gtx 460 and was wondering how I can go about overclocking it? What software can I use to modify its settings? Will a program like afterburner work on a non-msi card?

A:Overclocking Sparkle GTX 460

Doesn't matter, I personally like EVGA precision.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-sparkle-gtx-460.152147/
Relevancy 30.1%

Just going to break down and be a noob here. Have never overclocked, can swap parts and deal a bit with bios. Im not the "omfg were is the power button" kinda guy.Just not a great tech either. So here is my question ..should i overclock my ram, vid card or cpu or all of the above with this system? And doe's anyone know right off what my "safe" limits might be close to?

system.
AMD Athlon 64x2 4000+ "brisbane"
Motherboard - AsRock NF5SLI-1394
chipset -Nvidia Nforce4
Vid. Card -Nvidia GeForce 8400GS
Ram-Kingston DDR2 PC-5300 (333mhz) 512x4

Current running
cpu 1.264v both cores hanging around 30c
memory is 4.4.4 and i beleave 1.8v

A:General noob? About overclocking AMD 64x2 system

4000+ is already pretty quick, you could try and up to 3.3 - 3.5 as temperatures allow.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/general-noob-about-overclocking-amd-64x2-system.150850/
Relevancy 31.39%

Currently i have a stock hsf but i just ordered a Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro under normal load movie web browsing its about - c which seems high to me I don t know where to start at all i do have amd overdrive compatible mb with acc motherboard temp is c currently individual cpus between - c ASRock Overclocking AMD 630 II an M A FXH Arctic Pro KEEP IN MIND DONT HAVE AFTER MARKET COOLER YET Kingston KVR D N K G DDR - GB Amd ii Ive read its better for me to overclock the fsb not the multiplier cant oc that anyways not BE and drop the multiplier down cause its better for quot SPeeD quot quot Loading quot and quot File Transfers quot btw i am a complete noob at overclocking i have never overclocked anything edit- Everst ultimate thinks my computer is a phenom Okay well i have upped the fsb on test i got moved the fsb from to here are the results and so on in bios I dont see a option to just change the cpu frequency from its grayed Overclocking an AMD II 630 out and in a drop down from a option called Overclock mode and its set to optimized However there is other settings Auto Cpu pcie sync and Cpu pcie async Auto wont let me change anything Cpu pcie sync only lets me change the frequency fsb Cpu pcie asyc lets me change frequency and pcie frequency aswell as enable or disable spread spectrum advanced clock calibration and cpu active core control im gonna go with Overclocking an AMD II 630 just quot cpu pcie Overclocking an AMD II 630 sync quot and change to update - orginal changed fsb to automatically changed pcie to clock speed running test minutes minutes in its at c is there a cut off temperature i should know minutes still at - c minutes still at - c m same errors test ended never went over c should i move up another mhz Maximum operating temperature C - googled it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Starting test fsb Clock speed minutes in c minutes in - c minutes c m c test completed errors test fsb c errors clock speed nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-an-amd-ii-630.149091/
Relevancy 30.53%

im trying to overclock my

AMD Athlon x2 4200+ 939 socket

(dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr) motherboard

Coolmaster V8 for a 'top hat'

any ideas, I have heard it is possible to run at 2.8 GHz

A:Overclocking my AMD Athlon x2 4200+ 939 socket

The 4200 is not a great OC'er. if you have the ability to change the voltage in your bios, you may be able to get 2.65 +/- @ 1.45v. 2.8 is the best case scenario and will probably take 1.55 Vcore to do it.....(although you have the cooler to try it)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-my-amd-athlon-x2-4200-939-socket.148995/
Relevancy 31.39%

Alright guys I have another issue First here is my computer specs motherboard-nforce i sli cpu-intel E ghz fps overclock to ghz with a fsb and mulitplier x still and all temp staying below c on 260 GTX GeForce PNY a Overclocking the CPU so I think thats pretty safe video card- PNY geforce gtx mb ram- gigs of kingston mhz ddr - Overclocking a PNY GeForce 260 GTX - - sound card- Turtle Beach montego hard drive- gig seagate rpm power supply- watt antec ok guys I am trying to overclock my video card using rivatuner I set core clock shader clock and memory clock to what alot of people do what they got stable with the Overclocking a PNY GeForce 260 GTX PNY model and I get great fps increase on crysis Getting about almost - fps extra in certain spots in the game Just cause to fps increase on benchmark run was pretty damn impressive too fps to fps average on benchmark run Now after min of running my card I run into a issue where on crysis my FPS drops all the way down to - fps and justcause drops down in the low fps I am like what the crap Core temp is staying BELOW c so I am wondering is there something I have to do in bios Maybe increasing something on my PCIe slot nbsp

A:Overclocking a PNY GeForce 260 GTX

How much free space in the Seagate?
You don't have a system that benefits much from overclocking...
I would replace the seagate and the Kingston as a start.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-a-pny-geforce-260-gtx.148687/
Relevancy 30.53%

Alright I know people already posted this crap up about overclocking the e but I still get hell confused about this Right now I know this is bottlenecking crap when I did futuremark d tester cause only got fps on cpu test Here is my PC specs Motherboard- Nforce i sli cpu- intel e ghz duo fsb Ram- ddr kingston x gigs - - - Video Card- PNY geforce gtx sound card- turtle beach montego Power supply- Antec watt and not sure what model OS-Windows bit I never did overclocking B until i bought this comp for under bucks Um I did video card first cause people say that was the safest to overclock an 2 2.4 Overclocking Core Duo ghz E6600 Intel So downloaded rivatuner and pretty much overclock it the Overclocking an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 ghz same way other people did with stock fan I get about to fps extra than after awhile it drops a butt load Never gets hotter than c so its not getting hot But the biggest thing still I want to overclock my CPU to a decent speed I am pretty sure this is my fan for the CPU ZALMAN CNPS AT Overclocking an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 ghz Ball CPU Cooling Fan Heatsink Alright can any one give me a step by step to get it up to a decent speed I found this website and this guy got hes pretty fast nbsp

A:Overclocking an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 ghz

what was wrong with the article i linked to specifically OC'ing the e6600? It shows you how to get from 2.8ghz-3.7ghz and the voltages and FSB settings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-an-intel-core-2-duo-e6600-2-4-ghz.148531/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hello, As you can read from the title im looking for a little advise on overclocking these cards. I dont have funds for new cards ATM and am wanting to overclock them instead of buying new ones. I'm only looking for insite from people who really know what their doing here. So please, a small guide on how to overclock these guys keeping in mind im running SLI, I dont know if that makes a difference. Any info needed simply ask and I will tell.

A:Dual Nvidia 8800 GT SLI overclocking

I would use EVGA precision (sorry, no link atm) and just...overclock?
SLI doesn't make any difference except temperature wise. Also you can individually control the graphics cards, but thats not necessary. Just keep temperatures in check.

With the 8800gt, you could easily reach 650 (my suggestion is to just leave the shader clock in check with the core speed, I believe EVGA precision will do this by default), and just inch on from there while watching temps and stress testing with games or something.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-nvidia-8800-gt-sli-overclocking.148293/
Relevancy 30.53%

Check my specs for extra hardware info It Overclocking 920 and memory Core GSkill i7 seems as if I never can find someone that wants to run the same specs as me or if they do they don t want to overclock both at the same time I m trying to get my core i to run somewhere between and x or x while at the same time I Overclocking Core i7 920 and GSkill memory m looking to get my G Skill memory to run at MHz Getting my memory to run at MHz is easy by using the settings in the XMP profile but something is wrong somewhere because I always BSOD after about an hour So my assumption is that the XMP profile is for similar but not the same memory I have tried the info at G Skills website stating that I need to use these settings to get them to run at MHz Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual CPU Ratio Setting - Intel SpeedStep Tech - Disabled BCLK Overclocking Core i7 920 and GSkill memory Frequency - DRAM Frequency - DDR - UCLK Frequency - MHz QPI Link Data Rate - AUTO DRAM Timing Control CAS Latency - tRCD - tRP - tRAS - Command Rate - N CPU Voltage - V CPU PLL Voltage - V QPI DRAM Core Voltage - V IOH Voltage - V IOH PCIE Voltage - V ICH Voltage - V ICH PCIE Voltage - V DRAM Bus Voltage - V Load Line Calibration - DisabledClick to expand I ve also tried using N and N for Command Rate with no success If you don t already know I know nothing of how to overclock with this new architecture so I came here looking for some help If anyone could help me get my memory to run at the stated OC specs then that should be good enough But if possible I would like to OC my i at the same time Anyway thanks ahead of time King nbsp

A:Overclocking Core i7 920 and GSkill memory

Have you tried running your RAM at 1600Mhz to see if it will still BSOD?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-core-i7-920-and-gskill-memory.148020/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hey,

I've got a friend who just purchase a new computer and here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-785GM-US2H Rev 1.1
AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE
Gigabyte GE-N500A-C2 PSU
Xigmatek HDT-SD964 CPU Cooler
CoolerMaster Elite 335 Case
OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 Vista Upgrade 4GB

He wants to overclock the CPU and the IGP but doesn't want to burn anything yet. So, I told him to use the Autoclock feature in the AMD overdrive application. The IGP is running at 500Mhz right now, and he wants to safely overclock it. He is using stock chipset cooling, so, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-785g-overclocking-question.147704/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi guys,
I want to overclock my Grpahics card, Ati mobility radeon.
I downloaded the ati gpu clock tool. It says my memory speed is approx 396 Mhz.
I have a laptop (HP) and my question is should i overclock it and if yes by how much and upto how much should i go. Originally my cpu temperatures go to like 40 to 45 c. so if i overclock it a little more they should go up to like 50 to 55. Depending on my temperature i can set the defaults. My specs are:

Hp Dv6-1238CA

4Gb ram

2.10 Ghz Dual core (Centrino Processor)

Windows 7 OS

512 mb dedicated graphics. Core clock 500 mhz

Has anyone ever had any experiences with overclocking GPUs (ati's)
if so please reply to this thread !

A:Overclocking ATI GPU Mobility 4530

I wouldn't suggest overclocking your mobility graphics card, there wont be much of a point in doing so considering you'll only get a couple more frames you wont even notice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-ati-gpu-mobility-4530.146366/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello I am new to the forums although i have visited Techspot daily for a year or so I got an Core Duo C2D E4500 Overclocking? E since like years now and i am looking it is failing in latest games and keeping my Radeon behind So i wanted to overclock it a little bit since i am deciding to get a new pc by the end of the year probably I tried overclocking C2D E4500 Overclocking? it once to ghz but pc restarted once in a while so i reseted it to defaults I got Stock Cooling although the Fan speed most of the time is rpm and Cpu temp is low usually atm is Degrees Can you help me out with what speed voltage etc to set If a screen of cpu settings in BIOS is needed i can show C2D E4500 Overclocking? it My pc specs are these Field Value Computer Computer Type ACPI x -based PC Operating System Microsoft Windows Ultimate OS Service Pack C2D E4500 Overclocking? - Internet Explorer DirectX DirectX Computer Name ONEPIECE Pc Games and HD movies User Name Luffy Logon Domain OnePiece Date Time - - Motherboard CPU Type DualCore Intel Core Duo E MHz x Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA- GCMX-S v PCI PCI-E x PCI-E x DDR DIMM Audio Video Gigabit LAN Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport-G i GC System Memory MB DDR - DDR SDRAM DIMM Kingston U - A LF GB DDR - DDR SDRAM - - - MHz - - - MHz - - - MHz DIMM Kingston KTC G-UDIMM GB DDR - DDR SDRAM - - - MHz - - - MHz - - - MHz BIOS Type Award Modular Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Printer Port LPT Display Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD Series MB Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD Series MB Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD Series MB D Accelerator ATI Radeon HD Juniper Monitor Generic PnP Monitor NoDB H NS Multimedia Audio Adapter ATI Radeon HDMI ATI Juniper Broadway - High Definition Audio Controller Audio Adapter Realtek ALC Intel GB ICH - High Definition Audio Controller A- Storage IDE Controller Intel R N ICH Family Serial ATA Storage Controller - C Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive Disk Drive ExcelStor Technology J S ATA Device GB IDE Disk Drive ST AS ATA Device GB RPM SATA-II Optical Drive ASUS DRW- BL ATA Device DVD R x DVD-R x DVD RW x x DVD-RW x x DVD-RAM x DVD-ROM x CD x x x DVD RW DVD-RW DVD-RAM SMART Hard Disks Status OK Partitions C NTFS GB GB free D NTFS GB GB free E NTFS GB GB free Total Size GB GB free Click to expand nbsp

A:C2D E4500 Overclocking?

you wont reach 2.8Ghz without changing the Vcore which i don't recommend doing with Stock Cooling. the highest i see you going is 2.5-2.6Ghz. try these settings

Frequency/Voltage Control
-CPU Host Clock Control "Enabled"
-CPU Host Frequency "228"

after this go in to windows and try to play a game or just run Prime95 for about an hour or two. if you want to make sure its 100% stable run Prime95 over night

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/c2d-e4500-overclocking.145749/
Relevancy 31.39%

I'm looking for a good 1333mhz RAM for overclocking.

I'm not looking for the very best possible overclock, and therefore not going for watercooling.

Also, because of the heatsink I'm using for the CPU, I CANNOT have anything other than standard height RAM (Corsair Dominator is out).

Any suggestions?

A:Best DDR3 for overclocking

Corsair with the smallest heat-sinks you can deal with

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-ddr3-for-overclocking.144321/
Relevancy 29.67%

I have a amd 7850 dual core 2.8ghz. And planning to overclock it to 3.0ghz. My M3A76-CM motherboard has an overclocking software in it called Jumper free configuration. So my question is, can someone tell me or post the settings to use to overclock my cpu to 3.0 ghz?

A:Quick Reply, Need help overclocking using jumper free configuration

you wont see much of a performance boost from 2.8 to 3.0

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-reply-need-help-overclocking-using-jumper-free-configuration.144016/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi, I was looking to update my motherboard drivers and there i found update for
my BIOS. My mobo is MSi K8N NEO4 Platinum [MS-7125] 1.0. I downloaded update for BIOS, and i got 4 files: 7125 - Text document that says what is that update doing. it says: This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Improve compatibility problem with nVidia graphic card
- Improve stability problem when doing overclock behavior.
Im getting a new nVidia gpu, and + my system is unstable when oc so i really need this update. I also got a exe. file, and some 160. file. when i click that exe file nothing happens. Last file i got is called How To Flash the BIOS.doc. Do i have to read that file in order to update bios?? I dont understand English very well, is FLASHING bios updating BIOS?

A:How to update Phoenix AWARD BIOS v6.00PG

Unless you are having a problem that the BIOS update will solve, I recommend not flashing the BIOS. There is a risk. If something goes wrong with the flash whether it's your mistake or a power outage or something else, your motherboard could become useless. This is a risk especially if you are not sure how to read the instructions on how to do it.

Do you have a problem that you think updating the BIOS will fix?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-update-phoenix-award-bios-v6-00pg.143414/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi everybody,
i have intel dual-core e2180 on ecs p4m900t-m2 board in my old pc.
The problem is the cpu wont overclock though there is a overclocking option on the bios.
i've set the cpu bus to 280mhz(by default it is 200mhz and 10x multiplier) after saving the bios the windows succesfully loads without any issues but when checking in CPU-Z it shows only 205.9mhz. ie. 2.05ghz.(should be 2.8ghz ).
Im able to set the bus speed till 300mhz sucessfully more than that the system fails to boot.
Is my ram lagging to overclock my cpu because its only 667mhz

Whats that its not done as i see many people overclocking the same cpu till 3.2ghz!! so could you help please

A:CPU overclocking problem

Have you made sure that it isn't because of intel speedstep?
Also thats is a rather large jump considering you don't even know your CPU's limit, you could try in smaller increments.

Whats that its not done as i see many people overclocking the same cpu till 3.2ghz!! so could you help pleaseClick to expand...

Ahh but they have a better motherboard, and probably a luckier processor.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-overclocking-problem.143371/
Relevancy 30.96%

How should i overclock this to 3.5ghz or 3.8 ghz im not use to overclocking in the bios.

A:Overclocking the b 50 quad (Callisto)

generally, with the two cores unlocked. it has a history of only being able to get to 3.4Ghz @ 1.4v-1.424.
if you want to push it, try the AMD overdrive program. Its a very good and stable OC'ing software. raise the 'cpu vid' at .05v increments and run the stability test. make sure you monitor temps while doing it. when it takes a disproportionate amount of additional Vcore to go higher, stop and go back to your last .05v raise. once you find the maximum frequency that is stable, you can make it semi permanent in the bios if you want.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-the-b-50-quad-callisto.142364/