Windows Support Forum

Hard drive mode: IDE or AHCI?

Q: Hard drive mode: IDE or AHCI?

Hi, I just want to know what the best mode is, IDE or AHCI, my board has defaulted to IDE so that's what I'm currently using.

Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard drive mode: IDE or AHCI?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hard drive mode: IDE or AHCI?

If it's an SSD then you should change it to AHCI and reinstall Windows. If all of your drives are normal HDDs then it won't make any difference.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-mode-ide-or-ahci.196186/
Relevancy 86%

Yesterday my Wife's laptop stopped booting for her so I started to troubleshoot it.

What I've discovered is:

- If the BIOS setting for the hard drive controller is AHCI it will not recognize the drive. (This was the default setting in the BIOS)

- If changed to IDE mode it recognizes the drive but come up with an "No operating system detected" message.

- If the hard drive is installed in a second lap top it works fine.

- If another hard drive is installed it works fine in AHCI mode.

Only the combination of the original hard drive and the original lap top wont work.

Am I missing something?

Sean

A:AHCI mode stopped reconizing Hard Drive

You may want to see if any bios updates are available for it.
IDE mode will never see the AHCI data it can be reformatted in ide mode and then have windows installed on it.

Here is a thought though.
completely power down the laptop remove the battery and everything.
Let it sit for an hour or so like that.
Plug everything back in and give it another try in ahci mode.
This only has a small chance of working but it's worth trying.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/256413-ahci-mode-stopped-reconizing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hello,

does anyone know if it's possible to change the hard drive mode from SATA to AHCI (or even IDE) in the BIOS ?

I can see the hard drive in the BIOS but I am unable to select it to make changes as it's "greyed-out".

I have installed the latest BIOS but that has not made any difference.
Many thanks.

A:Equium L40 - Can I Change Hard Drive Mode from SATA to AHCI?

I don?t have this notebook model but usually SATA controller mode options in BIOS are either AHCI or compatibility.
I presume it is set to AHCI.

Your notebook has SATA HDD so I don?t understand why do you want to change anything. Using AHCI mode HDD can run with ?full speed?.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?68581-Equium-L40-Can-I-Change-Hard-Drive-Mode-from-SATA-to-AHCI
Relevancy 81.7%

So after I did change to SATA AHCI mode in the BIOS, the main boot hard drive shows as a removable device in system tray. So how do I fix this issue, and I did follow the instructions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922976, and is found right here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

A:after change to SATA AHCI mode in BIOS, the main boot hard drive shows as removable

There is nothing to fix, SATA drives are hot pluggable so that is all perfectly normal.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-change-to-sata-ahci-mode-in-bios-the-main-boot-hard-drive-shows-as-removable.1035439/
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a motherboard Asus p5k se/epu( intel p35 board). I felt that my sata drive emulated in IDE mode... So i want to fully utilize the sata drive in xp.

Therefore I follow the method provided by other forum's member.
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

But the problem is that my bios setting only have one option that allowed me to select.. which is IDE mode ONLY!!! Where is the AHCI mode ?

Or any of you have your own standard way to enable AHCI mode? teach me please...?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-enable-ahci-mode-for-sata-drive-instead-of-ide-mode-285425.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello I have bought a new SSD which I plan on using as a program drive though not as OS drive will reinstall Windows in the next few months Currently I am running Windows Pro bit change AHCI mode I - drive? an mode to it on can OS IDE My OS is installed on a Western Digital TB drive It is set to run in IDE Mode currently My motherboard an MSI Z -G only has one SATA controller I have recently acquired a Crucial M GB SSD I have it plugged IDE mode to AHCI mode - can I change it on an OS drive? into a SATA slot with a SATA cable When I booted into the BIOS first it changed my motherboard to IDE mode to AHCI mode - can I change it on an OS drive? AHCI so I manually changed it to IDE mode as my OS HDD ran in IDE I then booted into Windows formatted the SSD and copied some files to it It appears to be working Essentially I am running on an HDD with IDE mode to AHCI mode - can I change it on an OS drive? my Windows install in IDE mode as well as an SSD running in IDE mode I am wondering if it is possible to change from IDE mode to AHCI without reinstalling or corrupting Windows install or any data on either my HDD or SSD The tutorial here seems straight forward though I just wanted to ensure such a process would work in my exact hardware software configuration AHCI Enable in Windows Vista If my hardware software does not have any issues then I will go ahead and do the registry edits Thanks in advance for any help

A:IDE mode to AHCI mode - can I change it on an OS drive?

Hello ABC190,

If the older Western Digital 2TB drive is a SATA drive, then you shouldn't have any issues changing to use AHCI as per the tutorial.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/314394-ide-mode-ahci-mode-can-i-change-os-drive.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi I have a PC with an Asus M A T Deluxe motherboard The board has SATA connections but I think ports amp share a double connector Originally I had this machine set up with a pair of GB drives in Raid for the OS ports amp a pair of GB drives in Raid for Data ports amp and then the DVD drive on AHCI help to Drive get to Pls mode DVD work in port Recently I decided that Raid was not the best solution for me as there are other good ways to backup data I bought an SSD with the idea that I would use this for my OS and separate out Pls help to get DVD Drive to work in AHCI mode my GB drives to double my data storage space I connected the SSD to SATA port and installed Windows on it I can now boot to this drive or my old drive on port But the BIOS is still set up for RAID so at boot up it is reporting that the array with disk removed is critical I would like to get rid of this and also split the data disks so they are no longer in RAID Having done a little research I believe that I need to change the BIOS to AHCI mode instead of RAID However when I do this the machine detects the hard disks that are connected on ports - but does not see the DVD drive on Port The machine also fails to boot I think I may be able to get it to boot in AHCI mode if I could run Startup Repair But I cannot try this without the DVD Drive working I would really appreciate if somebody could help me sort out this configuration so that I can remove RAID and get all my drives working Thanks Edit I found a page in the manual that says I need to install an AHCI driver for all ports to work in this mode I've uploaded this page here http www uploadmb com dw php id I'm still quite unsure what to do about this though as surely installing a driver in windows will not allow the PC to see port at boot up And I do not know where to get the correct driver I also found this on the Asus website FAQ I have just built myself a new PC I found that BIOS and POST do not report SATA HDDs on port and under AHCI mode Is this normal Solution Don't worry This is expected behavior of AMD SB and SB chipset SATA HDDs on SATA port and will be detected under Windows OS after the installation of AHCI driver Does this mean there is no way to detect port at post and that I therefore need to connect my DVD drive to an alternative SATA port

A:Pls help to get DVD Drive to work in AHCI mode

I had a bit of a break through with this. I was able to get the system to boot in AHCI mode by changing the value as describe here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-64-bit-does-not-boot-with-ahci-enabled/1ed33ae9-b2ff-4d1f-b28c-406153e04faa

The AHCI drivers were then automatically installed to each drive.
The only problem now I believe is that I think the DVD drive is still not seen at boot but it is seen within windows. This just means that I cannot boot from the optical drive which should not be a problem most of the time. I think I can remedy this by plugging the DVD Drive into a different SATA port. But any feedback would still be appreciated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493105/pls-help-to-get-dvd-drive-to-work-in-ahci-mode/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi

I bought a ASUS P8H61-M LX Mother board for core i3 processor and a ADATA S510 6GB/s 60GB SSD

currently i have maxtor 250GB Hard disk and BIOS SATA mode is set to IDE.

To get maximum performance should i install windows on SSD ?

which SATA mode should i use in BIOS settings?
Regards

A:SATA Mode IDE or AHCI when you have a SSD drive?

Quote: Originally Posted by extremed

To get maximum performance should i install windows on SSD ?

which SATA mode should i use in BIOS settings?

Yes.

AHCI.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/237558-sata-mode-ide-ahci-when-you-have-ssd-drive.html
Relevancy 69.66%

My LG optical drive model GH NS popularly called quot Super Multi DVD Rewriter quot running on Windows bit will not burn a DVD-R if the SATA controller is in AHCI mode All other LG DVD drive burn AHCI in won't optical mode optical drive functions work OK -- reads and burns CD-R reads DVD Attempting to burn DVD using Windows Explorer gives this error Dialog name Burn to Disc Insert a disc quot There is no disc in the CD or DVD burner Please insert a writable disc into drive d quot Switching to IDE mode in motherboard BIOS solves the problem LG optical drive won't burn DVD in AHCI mode However this causes all SATA devices to work in IDE mode I have several SATA hard drives so would prefer running them in AHCI mode Other config details HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH NS ATA Device Driver date cdrom LG optical drive won't burn DVD in AHCI mode sys win rtm - GEARAspiWDM sys PxHLpa sys a EVGA P FTW i - Ghz GB Mushkin Enhanced DS - G HP - A BIOS Windows Home Premium -bit GB SATA WD Velociraptor WD HLFS- G U x SATA Seagate Barracuda ST AS GPU EVGA GTX

A:LG optical drive won't burn DVD in AHCI mode

Hello joema,

Can you go into Device Manager and verify that your optical drive drivers are up-to-date?

Thanks,
~Jonathan

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/48003-lg-optical-drive-wont-burn-dvd-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi I have a Toshiba NB netbook running Windows Pro bit very happy with it I have a Corsair Force GB SSD drive installed and everything seems to be running very nicely to mode for drive set NB300 to AHCI unable SSD Reading up on SSD drives I see that for best performance I should be running the SSD in AHCI mode So I went to the Setup menu on start up and changed from Compatibility NB300 unable to set to AHCI mode for SSD drive mode to AHCI I've actually tried this a few times always with the same result failure When the system attempts to boot I get a message saying a problem was encountered and that the sytem is trying to gather information The only solution is to go back into setup and reset to Compatibility mode The BIOS is up to date and I just can't think of any way to resolve the issue I really would like to get the best performance I can on this net book I have a screen grab of the SSD drive details from Speccy but I can't see a way of attaching it If any one can advise me on how to get AHCI mode up and going I would really appreciate it Thanks Chris

A:NB300 unable to set to AHCI mode for SSD drive

Unfortunately on this forum we don?t have reports about SSD usage on NBs. I have NB520 and I would like to use SSD to but until now I didn?t find the right one.

As far as I know by default BIOS is set to AHCI mode. Which OS have you installed? Original one that you got with your notebook or your own version? Have you installed Intel?s storage manager from Toshiba download page?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?72802-NB300-unable-to-set-to-AHCI-mode-for-SSD-drive
Relevancy 69.66%

Is it just plain not possible to boot from a CD/DVD drive that is set in BIOS as SATA/AHCI mode? I can acces the drive & read/write from it, it just won't boot to it. Yes I have CD/DVD drive set as 1st boot drive. I have "Googled" the earth & can't seem to find a straight answer to this. Can anyone enlighten me on this topic?

Thanks, Jim

A:can't boot from cd/dvd sata drive/AHCI mode

The controller settings shouldn't have any affect at all on it's ability to boot. My controllers are always set to AHCI and are left that way.

If you are trying to install Windows, a simple work around would be to use a USB flash drive. I can't remember the last time I've installed Windows from a disc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/276630-cant-boot-cd-dvd-sata-drive-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 67.51%

So after I changed to SATA AHCI mode in the BIOS the main boot internal hard drive shows as a removable device in system tray So how do I fix this issue and I did follow the instructions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article http support microsoft com kb to enable the sata driver first before I changed the BIOS setting However in the Vista on the same hard drive in the same removable shows SATA BIOS drive AHCI to in after mode the change computer after change to SATA AHCI mode in BIOS the drive shows removable with the same SATA AHCI fix done to enable the needed drivers the internal hard drive does not show in the system tray as removable So possibly if I install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager from their site for this ASUS P QL Pro motherboard with a Intel P express chip set known as ICH then after a re-boot it may no longer show as removable This computer is a store built desktop that has only one GB SATA hard drive installed I had it set in the IDE compatible mode so that I could mult-boot with XP Vista and Ubuntu Linux

A:after change to SATA AHCI mode in BIOS the drive shows removable

That's not an issue at all, and it's perfectly normal. AHCI offers, on some boards, hot swap capabilities. It's nothing to worry about.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/207559-after-change-sata-ahci-mode-bios-drive-shows-removable.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi Guys I have just fitted a SSD SSD as IDE i AHCI or hard Sata use do Bios in drive drive in my computer windows bit system when I installed windows onto the new SSD I just unplugged my old hard drive and fitted the SSD and just installed windows and all worked ok But after the SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios new install was working I was told I needed to make SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios a change in the BIOS to alter the settings from treat Sata as IDE to treat Sata as AHCI I did this and all was ok with the new drive the installation worked and the new drive is running ok But now I have since SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios read that I should have made the bios change before installing windows nad should not be done after the install So do I need to reinstall windows with the bios changes to treat sata as AHCI before I install or will it work ok it seems to be ok but im not sure now I was also under the impression that I could still have my old hard drive fitted and just select the hard drive I wanted to boot from as the computer started I wanted to do this so I could still has access to all my old stuff if I needed it But now my old hard drive will not boot until I change the Bios back to treat Sata as IDE so is this not going to work or will I have to change the bios each time I need access to my old drive Also I have an Asus P T SE motherboard so can I plug the SSD into any Sata port or is it better to plug it into number if so how do I find which one is number one

A:SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios

See this tutorial: AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/255450-ssd-hard-drive-do-i-use-sata-ide-ahci-bios.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I ve been informed that my first problem is that I didn t install AHCI along with Window during the Windows installation However I did find a registry tweak which enabled it Once the drive. SATA not 7 Windows recognizing AHCI hard a tweak was uh tweaked I rebooted enabled all the AHCI options in the BIOS that I could and when Windows came up again it installed the controllers drivers and upon another reboot I should have been good to go However I have an external hard drive connected via SATA cable to the SATA inputs on the back of my mobo and the PC won t recognize that it is even connected Windows 7 not recognizing a SATA AHCI hard drive. If I connect it via USB it works just fine but I want Windows 7 not recognizing a SATA AHCI hard drive. to get the benefits of the SATA connection Any ideas on why my PC won t recognize this drive when it s connected to the SATA port One other thing during POST if I have the external drive powered on and connected via SATA there is a message that a TB Hitachi drive is found if it is off I get no such message so the computer sees it during post but not once the OS loads nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

So I'm setting up a M N pro asus mobo for windows delima I just took RAID compatiblity SATA, drive AHCI, Hard out my XP sata drive and Installed a new drive for bit I set SATA, AHCI, RAID Hard drive compatiblity it up for ahci because I want to set it up for raid I read where if you set a drive up for raid it has to be an ahci drive at least on this mobo Is that correct or am I misunderstanding something Not a problem for that OK now I have a few programs on the XP drive that will not work on Win GO Figure I would like to set up with a drive swap bay so when I want to use those programs I can shut down and swap drives and reboot Problem is I dont have the XP drive set up in ahci mode My bios now is set to ahci for the win drive I read where if you boot a sata drive that is not set up ahci with the bios set to ahci it will zap the OS Can I convert the xp drive without jacking it up to ahci I definately don't want to go into BIOS when I swap drives to much hasel delima I updated the bios on the board to the newest asus offers for this board a week ago for my install I was still running XP bit when I did this and had no issue everything was fine My ehternet on the mobo died saturday and I put in a new nic card and now when I boot in XP it tells me I have to reactivate the XP OS which is OEM in three days because of significant mobo changes This happened after I installed the new nic Wow if that is a significant change whatever billy G Iv'e been using this computer for years and never had that issue I put in a new sound card a year ago and never got a warning Since the Xp is an OEM I sure don't want to buy a new license for an OS that they don't even support any more and I don't know if I will but I am afraid if i try to reactivate it and don't want to pay will the os shut down I'm not going to use it on the internet any more just for local don't care about antivirus or anything else I'm using now and it's working great I love it ZZ

A:SATA, AHCI, RAID Hard drive compatiblity

Welcome,
Reactivation shouldn't cause a problem or $$. Follow the steps provided and all should be well.
Keep us posted

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530262/sata-ahci-raid-hard-drive-compatiblity/
Relevancy 64.93%

hi everybody I have a dell studio my hard disk got corrupted a month ago and tried different software could not make it to work so decided to after enabled hard on Solved: bootsector drive No AHCI internal buy another Solved: No bootsector on internal hard drive after AHCI enabled HD my new hard drive is used bought in ebay and SMART shows health also tested on dell diagnosetic utility and all tests passed So here comes my problem the very first time when i poped new used HD into the laptop and started it showed me the above error no bootsector on internal hard drive and gave me options F retry F setup F dell diganose utility I ignored it as you all know a HD without system files partion or windows would do exactly the same and i went ahead and somehow sorted windows vista to install When setup expanded files it restarted and when dell logo and flash screen passed where it was supposed to boot from C it gave me this error again but the vista disk was still there i thought let the cd take care of it as the HD may not have been used after couple formating and wiping So thought it s normal all installation went normal finally restarted again with same error above Now if i put windows cd or whatever bootable madia i can get to my windows if i dont hit any key but first it will show the above error and then it will boot other media even i can access to windows by pressing F retry after message appears and it will boot successfully fast and flawlessly but windows cant find boot section by its own Installed vista and windows four times but same symptoms NOTE gt gt gt gt It will only occure when I enable AHCI mode installed on ATA mode doesnt require me to do anything and will successfully go to boot from bios my bios setup is in correct order and also reseted couple of times reseated hard drive one time also i installed sata drive driver downloaded from dell site and loaded with usb everytime when i installed So what could be the problem Am i missing something prior or after installation I have completely lost my mind with this problem tried hours of searching in forums nobody else has got same problem as mine the error is same but symptoms are different PLEASE HELP i have tried to attach a test results but dont know if this site excepts html nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

hi i tried earlier to access my laptop's hdd using hiren's boot cd but it would not recognize the hdd existence , further googling showed that i need to switch sata mode to ide than rather ahci in bios , despite that forums report this method to be effective it did not change anything in my case , i think its most probably poor compatibility of bios with ide mode , it is actually intel's phoenix bios and the laptop is lenovo and the hdd is hybrid (part ssd and part hdd) so probably it wont work on any lesser mode than ahci , so anybody know of any alternative to hiren's that can access disks of such nature ?

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/64620-alternative-ways-hirens-cd-access-ahci-hard-drive-externally.html
Relevancy 64.07%

hi everybody I have a dell studio my hard disk got corrupted a month ago and tried different software could not make it to work so decided to buy another HD hard boot drive AHCI enabled internal No on while installation sector my new hard drive is used bought in ebay and SMART shows health also tested on dell diagnosetic utility and all tests passed So here comes my problem the very first time when i poped new used HD into the laptop and started it No boot sector on internal hard drive while AHCI enabled installation showed me the above error ''no bootsector on internal hard drive'' and gave No boot sector on internal hard drive while AHCI enabled installation me options F retry F setup F dell diganose utility I ignored it as you all know a HD without system files partion or No boot sector on internal hard drive while AHCI enabled installation windows would do exactly the same and i went ahead and somehow sorted windows vista to install When setup expanded files it restarted and when dell logo and flash screen passed where it was supposed to boot from C it gave me this error again but the vista disk was still there i thought let the cd take care of it as the HD may not have been used after couple formating and wiping So thought it s normal all installation went normal finally restarted again with same error above Now if i put windows cd or whatever bootable madia i can get to my windows if i dont hit any key but first it will show the above error and then it will boot other media even i can access to windows by pressing F ''retry'' after message appears and it will boot successfully fast and flawlessly but windows cant find boot section by its own Installed vista and windows four times but same symptoms NOTE gt gt gt gt It will only occure when I enable AHCI mode installed on ATA mode doesnt require me to do anything and will successfully go to boot from bios my bios setup is in correct order and also reseted couple of times reseated hard drive one time also i installed sata drive driver downloaded from dell site and loaded with usb everytime when i installed So what could be the problem Am i missing something prior or after installation I have completely lost my mind with this problem tried hours of searching in forums nobody else has got same problem as mine the error is same but symptoms are different PLEASE HELP

A:No boot sector on internal hard drive while AHCI enabled installation

When AHCI mode is enabled, is the first boot device changed? it's as if it's trying to read from say a USB stick or memory card slot first, then moving on to the next boot device of Hard disk or Optical when that has failed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/203983-no-boot-sector-internal-hard-drive-while-ahci-enabled-installation.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I Installed windows on a ssd drive running in ahci mode. I then switched the sata setting in the bios from ahci to raid in order to add 2 other hdds as a raid 0. Now the pc won't boot anymore getting no boot device error. I know about the registry fix to get an IDE sata drive to boot in ahci mode, is there a similar solution to change a dire from ahci to raid?
Note the mb only has 1 controller so I can't have the boot drive in ahci mode with the other 2 in raid mode.
Thanks in advance.

A:Can I switch my boot disk from ahci mode to raid mode?

Hello Danag, and welcome to Sevenforums. What kind of computer do you have, or did you custom build it? Go to it's manufacturer's website and install the Raid drivers.

EDIT: set it to RAID after the Raid drivers are installed, it will be fine. Let me know how it goes

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/218079-can-i-switch-my-boot-disk-ahci-mode-raid-mode.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have successfully installed Windows Pro x on an ASUS P Z Convert AHCI mode without to re-installing RAID mode -V Deluxe board on a SSD under UEFI secure boot mode Used the following settings SATA Mode AHCI Fastboot enabled CSM enabled Secureboot Windows UEFI Everything works fine Qcode AO performance is excellent etc System information shows BIOS Mode UEFI Secure boot state ON SSD partitioned to GPT I now want to create a RAID volume on which to store my data I understand that ideally one has to set SATA mode to RAID before installing windows in Convert AHCI mode to RAID mode without re-installing order to make the creation of Convert AHCI mode to RAID mode without re-installing RAID volumes possible However is it possible to convert my present AHCI system to a RAID system without re-installing windows I heard that some registry settings will do the trick A possible alternative kind of RAID I have been checking the user manual of this board and on page there is a description of Drive Expert Mode It can be set to Normal Mode Super Speed or EZ Backup where EZ Backup means quot Allows you to use the EZ Backup function that copies and maintains an identical image of data from the SATA G E drive to the SATA G E drive quot How different is this from the RAID function set up with Ctr-I Is it better or worse in terms of fault tolerance and performance Many thanks for any advice

A:Convert AHCI mode to RAID mode without re-installing

On that board, to get full Windows 8 Secure Boot, you have to Disable the CSM. I know it shows "On", but it will show that until you select Other OS in the Secure Boot section. If you have a Video card installed, such as a GTX XXX, it may not yet be Secure Boot capable and will cause the system to abort the boot and put you back in the bios, when the full Secure Boot is in place.

Have you looked into using Storage Spaces as opposed to RAID? There have been some comments about it is not as stable as RAID, but I have no personal info. Maybe some others will have some information.

If you want to change your system to RAID, it can be dangerous, so backup everything you can, and remember, if it doesn't work, set it back to AHCI.

This is not recommend for Windows 7, just in case anyone wanted to try.

When in Windows 8, open msconfig.exe and set the Safe Boot check box on the Boot tab.

Restart your system and use the Del key (for ASUS P8Z77) to get into the bios. Go to advanced settings and change the AHCI to RAID. When you select save, your system will reboot and this time, let it boot into Safe Mode.

While in Safe Mode the drivers will be changed. You can check Device Manager if you like and you will see an entry in Storage Controllers for the Intel Deskto/Workstation... . But you need to open msconfig.exe again and uncheck the Safe Boot box. Then close it and reboot back into normal Windows.

If at any time the system tries to do a repair operation, restart and get back into the bios.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/24141-convert-ahci-mode-raid-mode-without-re-installing.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Does Win7 still require AHCI be configured before installation? I think in XP if you switched an SATA drive to AHCI from IDE, you would need to format and start over.

A:AHCI mode

Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/49516-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Sup beautiful people My aim is to install Windows x Home Premium on a new SSD in mode. with use SSD. New Unable to AHCI AHCI mode I recently bought an OCZ Arc Sata III SSD to transfer Windows Home Premium OEM to on a Samsung RV laptop All possible methods of backing up and restoring cloning and repairing boot sectors completely failed without any BIOS changes from a perfectly booting Samsung HDD partitioned as MBR booting in AHCI mode with Legacy OS support turned on in BIOS I New SSD. Unable to use with AHCI mode. would end up with quot Operating system not found quot and it being impossible to recover the environment and rebuild the BCD with the error quot Requested device unavailable quot and quot No OS files found quot with automatic repairing If I New SSD. Unable to use with AHCI mode. were to try and install Windows Home Premium with the aforementioned BIOS settings after completely wiping the disk New SSD. Unable to use with AHCI mode. clean it would tell me that quot Windows cannot be installed to this disk This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu quot Installing Windows Home Premium with IDE set and Legacy OS Boot set goes through without any hindrances and OEM OS was activated I have tried to reset the AHCI mode through the registry with the OS loaded on the SSD and then rebooted and changes BIOS settings back to AHCI mode and I once again face the error quot Operating system not found quot In AHCI mode the SSD is not recognised as a bootable device at all however BIOS is picking it up It makes no sense to me that an SSD with an exact copy of the OS of an HDD will not boot however the HDD does I have done endless amounts of Google research but I think this time it won't be able to teach me and my brain is just absolutely fried right now so I am hoping some one here might be able to help me I believe I have recalled correctly all my trials and errors feel free to ask any questions for clarification Spec Samsung RV Laptop Windows Home Premium x OEM Samsung HM JI HDD OCZ Arc SSD Pheonix SecureCore BIOS BIOS version UC MICOM version UC Advanced BIOS Settings CPU Power Saving Mode Intel SpeedStep EDB Graphics Memory Legacy USB Support Legacy OS Support AHCI Mode Control gt Native AHCI Mode Fan Silent Mode Battery Life Cycle Extension USB S Wake-up No security options for EFI mode

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/383018-new-ssd-unable-use-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey everyone I hope everyone is doing fine I've literally rebuilt my entire machine but I Sata IDE Mode AHCI / think I made a mistake before installing Windows I should have gone over the BIOS with a fine tooth comb but I did not The SATA mode is set to IDE instead of AHCI or RAID and now of course I can't switch it to my knowledge without getting a BSOD It means I would have to reinstall the OS over again I have been reading up online and did a search here but didn't find the appropriate thead I have two questions I read on a forum somewhere where an Intel user used a program to change this in Windows Sata Mode AHCI / IDE somehow Is there some kind of Sata Mode AHCI / IDE utility that will allow Sata Mode AHCI / IDE me to switch to AHCI mode without reinstalling Win bit Second question is it worth it to switch over I see the benefits are this AHCI mode brings main advantages Supports NCQ Native Command Queuing allowing SATA drives to accept more than one command at a time and dynamically reorder the commands for maximum efficiency Supports hot plugging of devices Supports staggered spin ups of multiple hard drives at boot time My machine seems kind of slow when accessing data and don't know if this is an issue with the SATA drives being in IDE mode I got some choppiness in some games that's coming from access data tested and that seems weird but could definitely come from SATA drives being in IDE mode I got an MSI R Hawk Video card I'm freaking in love with that thing I have two Hitachi RPM SATA and one Seagate Barracuda RPM SATA drive All three are GB My new machine is ASRock M A DE Mainboard and I successfully unlocked the th core on my AMD Athlon making it a Phenom X and it's running beautifully Ran a stability test and it was perfect RAM is Kingston HyperX CAS running at mhz So my question to AHCI or not Do you think its worth it Have you noticed huge performance gains So now I guess I better update my profile and sorry I haven't been around Me and SevenForums had an email issue Cheers

A:Sata Mode AHCI / IDE

That's weird. I thought Windows 7 handled switching to AHCI mode better than that. Guess it has the same problem as XP.

Anyway, quick answers to a couple of your questions:

1) There is nothing magical about AHCI. About all you will gain is the ability to hot-plug drives. That may be worthwhile if you use an external HDD connected by eSATA. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

From what I've read, NCQ is only of real benefit in an environment where the disk is being accessed constantly, such as server. Normal desktop users probably won't see any measurable benefit.

The staggered spin-up thing probably doesn't matter either. Maybe it would, if you were running a large RAID (like maybe a 6-disk RAID 10) and had a barely-adequate power supply.

2) Yes, there should be a way to install the AHCI drivers so that Windows 7 doesn't bluescreen on startup. I did it with Windows XP, although it wasn't all that straightforward. I didn't have to reinstall Windows XP, and you shouldn't have to reinstall Windows 7 either.

update:

Just for curiosity, I tried switching my disk controller to IDE mode. Windows 7 booted, but then made me reboot immediately, presumably because it had to install the IDE-mode drivers for the disk controller. On next startup, I re-ran the Windows Experience Index test. My disk score remained exactly the same (5.9) as when I had the disk controller in AHCI mode.

I then restarted, got into the BIOS menu & switched the disk controller back to AHCI mode. On restart, Windows 7 again booted fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/148080-sata-mode-ahci-ide.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Last week I was playing in problems mode SSD AHCI a game when suddenly I got a BSOD I narrowed the error SSD problems in AHCI mode down to a memory problem and ran Memtest I got errors about in hours The stock timings were pretty aggressive so I loosened them and it ran without problems Then me being the idiot I am decided that I might try and OC the RAM since I already had memtest in the machine SSD problems in AHCI mode Well I messed up and had to clear CMOS restored my known good settings including the boot drive in AHCI and tried to boot Windows and got an error along the lines of quot key hardware inaccessible quot When I checked the boot order my boot drive didn't show up but it showed up in the storage drives menu meaning that it was still recognized by the motherboard When I switched the boot drive to IDE Windows booted fine I checked the registry setting that's need for AHCI called something like quot msahci quot and the setting was correct Can anyone tell me what is going on or tell me how to fix it

A:SSD problems in AHCI mode

see if this tutorial helps AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/273649-ssd-problems-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi,

I have recently bought this motherboard Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 and I
am trying to setup AHCI Mode on it I have gone into the BIOS and tried
to set this up but when the system loads its saying that no devices
were found. Please can you advise if the attached picture is the
correct settings or if I need to make any changes to them?

Also is it best to disable smart fan control option in the BIOS so
the CPU fan is always running at full speed?

Below also is the current fan speed settings.

I would be grateful for any assistance you can offer.

Many thanks

A:AHCI Mode Setup

First of all, I'm assuming you are using Windows 7 because of the non-detection issue. AHCI is separate from the SATA 3Gb/s standard and is in place to take advantage of hot swapping drives and native command queuing, etc. If you don't have the use for these advanced features, you shouldn't need to enable them. If you do have the need for advanced SATA features, you'll need to edit the registry in Windows 7. The reason you aren't seeing any devices after you boot into Windows 7 after enabling AHCI, is because Windows 7 for some reason is not compatible out of the box to handle AHCI. There's a thread on what you need to do to edit the registry, then enabled this function in the BIOS, then reboot. Please be careful editing the registry and always create a backup before doing changes. Check out this thread here:

enable AHCI in Windows 7

I always leave my SMART fan controls off and run SpeedFan when I build a new system to check temps. Hardware thermal control on your system allows you to set warning and shut off temps. I always like to monitor my temps while in the operating system so I can see exactly what's going on. These features in the BIOS are nice, but I've not ever enabled them. Chances are, your CPU fan will always run full speed anyway, unless it's sleeping and you've got an AMD in Cool n' Quiet mode. Leave them disabled because it's not going to hurt anything. But always when building a new system, check your temps while testing your system. SpeedFan can be found here:

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

I like Speedfan because it monitors all the CPU cores, system and graphics processors.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/143231-ahci-mode-setup.html
Relevancy 55.9%

When I installed Windows 8 pro (oem x64) it wouldn't allow me to install with my sata controller set to AHCI mode so I set it to IDE and installed, now I'd like to have trim support so want to enable AHCI. Just enabling AHCI in BIOS boots too a blue :( (blue screen of unhappiness, BSoU??) screen and restarts, leave this to happen a couple of times and recovery mode boots which does not find or fix the problem. Set it back to IDE mode and everything works fine again.

I have tried several registry hacks and had partial success, it booted and worked fine for a couple of restarts but then I got the BSoU again grr. Im not sure which hack it was that "kinda" worked.

Anyone had success with this? Know which hack works? I know some were for rc/cp, rtm?

A:AHCI mode windows 8 pro

i did fresh install with 8 pro from technet with no problems at all in AHCI mode. i believe there is no difference between pro and OEM as far as installing goes. maybe try a bios update for your motherboard

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14106-ahci-mode-windows-8-pro.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello people, i'm new in this forum so i'm sorry if i shouldn't post in this section
so i just bought a new SSD (850 evo 250gb) And it says on it's software i should enable AHCI mode on my bios
to get it faster. also the tests results show 250 when it was supposed to hit 520-540, and i think it's due to not having
AHCI mode, but i tried to change it in my BIOS, but i only have these 3 options:

- S-ATA+P-ATA
- S-ATA (which is the one i'm using now)
- P-ATA

Isn't there any other way to change it to AHCI mode?
thank you.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66042-i-dont-have-any-ahci-mode-my-bios.html
Relevancy 55.9%

everytime i turn on this new build it says the SATA HDD is running in IDE mode do I want to switch to AHCI mode or stay on IDE now as far as I know it shouldnt be on IDE should it as SATA isnt IDE I just want it on the proper setting it also seems to take a while to POST checking drives the monitor flicks on and off about times and it detects a Samsung DVD drive I have on IDE port temp until i get the SATA DVD tomoz and asks me to press any key then says loading operating system and goes to load windows just doesnt seem right to me other POSTS just say detected memory and drives then goes onto load windows within a few seconds this takes exactly seconds from pressing power button to starting windows logo surely thats not right should only be a few seconds can anyone advise just what settings the mobo should be on with one sata HDD on port and one IDE DVD or - AHCI IDE HDD SATA mode? drive but the DVD is being swapped for a SATA dvd bluray tomorrow thanks nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I'm trying to do a startup repair of Windows x on an SSD but can't boot from the CD-ROM while in AHCI mode I have set CD-ROM at CD-ROM in mode from Boot AHCI Can't the top of the boot order in BIOS but this is just ignored and the computer boots from Can't Boot from CD-ROM in AHCI mode the SSD with the knackered version of W x I read somewhere that when in AHCI mode the BIOS boot order may include quot CD-ROM quot but it's not the real device anymore I tried looking for the CD-ROM by its manufacturer name in the list under Hard Drives but it's not there either So just how do I go about booting from the CD-ROM in AHCI mode There would be no problems if I set the BIOS back to IDE mode installed Windows and then did the registry hack to install the AHCI drivers but I'd like to be able to boot from the CD-ROM in AHCI mode P S I have a Gigabyte GA-MA GM-US H motherboard and am using the latest BIOS version F D

A:Can't Boot from CD-ROM in AHCI mode

Hello mate.

If the mobo supports booting from USB, use this tutorial at the link below to add the Windows 7 installation media to a USB stick to see if that will sort it for you and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/143461-cant-boot-cd-rom-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 55.9%

hi, i have recently bought an SSD. I have heard from a youtube video that changing the Sata controller from IDE to AHCI can give me better performance but i tried to enable this and it doesn't recognize the drive. The PC will not boot in AHCI mode which meant i have to switch to IDE again. I have tried booting from the Windows install DVD but it tells me that i cannot install Windows on this drive.
Am i missing something?

Thanks

A:Cant Change My SSD To AHCI Mode

You can't switch modes on an already installed Windows without a regedit. AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/36810-cant-change-my-ssd-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My current computer is a inspiron 530s running Windows 7 (of course) and in it there isn't an option in the BIOS for AHCI mode. I have the newest version of the BIOS and was wondering if there might be something else I might could update or change to make the option available. Thank you for your time and i'm sorry if this isn't the best place to post this thread on the forum.

A:No AHCI mode in BIOS?

Concealed10,
Welcome to SF. You will want to visit the Dell site to see if a newer bios version doesn't address this very issue. If it does then you will want to back up all data and research in the Dell manual the proper way to do a bios update as any false move can brick your rig. This isn't to say that it's not straight forward but you must adhere to the procedure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/316580-no-ahci-mode-bios.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a Sony Vaio and would like to check if it's in IDE or AHCI mode. I entered the Bios but nothing is mentioned in there except some simple settings. My question is how do I establish my laptop is running in which mode and how do I switch between the modes since the Bios don't offer any options? Thanks for reading.

A:How to check IDE or AHCI mode?

Research your motherboard. Google to find the mobo for your computer model, then look on its Support Downloads page for drivers. It will show AHCI drivers if that mode is supportable, or IDE. It may even need a BIOS update to enable more modern AHCI.

You can read the manual to determine for sure. These resources are available on the web for almost every motherboard in existence.

Others will help you with this research, and may already know your mobo, if you fill in your system specs in the bottom left hand corner of your post.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/48839-how-check-ide-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 55.9%

How can I determine if my New DVD Driver Burner or Old one are AHCI/ACHI enabled?

A:AHCI/HCI mode? How to determine?

info
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260175-32-ahci-mode-work-help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ahci-hci-mode-how-to-determine.947913/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have just completed a new build using my HDD s from my old computer so I an running Win XP Pro SP -bit before installing Win Home Premium -bit My HDD are configured as IDE in bios and everything works fine If I reset or AHCI HDD IDE - mode? SATA (again) the HDD mode to AHCI I only get the windows splash screen and the system restarts Searching the archives I found the following from crjdriver FWIW I have done some tests running native or standard ide and ahci On an intel p chipset board an amd chipset board and an intel chipset board On each one native ide actually gave better performance in a benchmark Not by much however it was faster with both a raptor drive AND a seagate drive If anything should benefit from ahci it should be the newer seagate SATA HDD - IDE or AHCI mode? (again) however it did not Click to expand Would AHCI provide any performance improvement Do I need the F driver - which one -bit Intel RST Driver Files f f lpy x zip V Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I want to replace the existing hard drive in my laptop with a solid state drive. While reserching about this, i learned that i need to change the SATA Mode from IDE to AHCI Mode. I tried to find this setting in my BIOS but i was not able to find it. I would appreciate if you could help me with this.Thanks!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Enabling-AHCI-Mode/td-p/5758984
Relevancy 55.9%

I'm Trying to install W7 x64 on HP 240 G4 M8X89LT, but i can't choose to disable/enable AHCI Mode, because the install of windows don't show me the hard drive. Anyone can tell me how disable/enable this mode, or where can download the AHCI Drivers, i know how to integrate them in the instalation, but i can't found them. Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-240-G4-M8X89LT-AHCI-Mode/td-p/5657246
Relevancy 55.04%

HI to you,

I'm running with an Asus P9X79 Pro, BIOS updated to the latest version and a Corsair Neutron 120GB...
The SATA mode in BIOS is set to AHCI.

But in Windows 7, all drives (1 SSD, 1 WD HDD and 1 Seagate HDD, and Asus DVD Drive) are seen as SCSI devices...

I tried to use only windows 7 64 bits native AHCI drivers and I got the same things as I used the IRST drivers provided by Asus... As I've done many search on the web about AHCI and X79 chipset I've found so many issues and no real answer, I'm deseperatly need help.

As I want to get all the performance and stability of my system I just want to make sure that everthing work as it is design to...

thanks in advance for your help...

A:SSD in SCSI mode instead of AHCI using X79 chipset

That is normal for those controllers/drivers to report SCSI. The drives are functioning normally as AHCI.

If you are connected to the Intel controller, what IRST driver version are you using?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330289-ssd-scsi-mode-instead-ahci-using-x79-chipset.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 Professional computer and I need to change the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI. The BIOS does not have an option to change the mode to AHCI. I have tried everything, from trying to install AHCI drivers (didn't work) and trying to edit registry files (changing all AHCI group files' start values to 0). Nothing has worked.
I would appreciate any help - this is urgent!

Thank you!
robotics5000

A:AHCI mode not in BIOS - URGENT

Are you sure, how old is this pc ?

Usually under the Advanced tab you`ll see a bunch of options, one says sata configuration, if you click on that it may pop up a sub menu.

IDE
AHCI
RAID

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/370863-ahci-mode-not-bios-urgent.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi. So I was updating the bios and the laptop shut off. It now will load to the Windows XP screen, load for 1 second, flash a BSOD for 1 second, then restart.

If I switch to IDE mode, it works great. 

Is it possible to update fix the AHCI problem when in IDE mode? 

Asus eee PC 1000he

A:Installing AHCI drivers while in IDE mode?

Hi

Your SATA is originally configured to work in IDE mode. When you updated the BIOS, system loaded  BIOS defaults which apparently reverted SATA mode to it's original state - AHCI. Since your laptop works fine when the interface is set to IDE mode, i don't see any issue at all.

There is a way to change SATA mode to AHCI after installing Windows XP, but it involves potential risk of rendering the OS unbootable (if failed). 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497588/installing-ahci-drivers-while-in-ide-mode/
Relevancy 55.04%

HiI got M91p Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 7033D55my SATA Controller Mode needs to be set to AHCI in system BIOS but BIOS is protected by passwordAny solutions?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/SATA-Controller-Mode-needs-to-be-set-to-AHCI/td-p/3479778
Relevancy 55.04%

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z XP-UD Revision my OS is Windows Professional bit my HDD is a Seagate tb and my SSD is an OCZ Agility gb So i was using Intel Smart Response technology with my SSD for SSD caching everything was pretty much working fine The other day i flashed my bios using BIOS without properly disabling my smart response AHCI during boot mode on BSOD configuration which i probably shouldn't have BSOD during boot on AHCI mode done and i won't do again When i rebooted Intel Rapid Storage technology was acting up BSOD during boot on AHCI mode and when i tried to open it it said quot IAStorUI exe has stopped working quot After that i uninstalled the program and tried to re-install it but during the install it said quot This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software quot After a little research i found out that it meant that my bios was set in IDE mode instead of ACHI mode I am not sure what the mode was before i flashed my bios but it was probably some sort of raid that it used for SSD caching When i went into the bios and switched from IDE to AHCI windows would blue screen after performing a few seconds of the boot logo I switched back to IDE and did some research to find out about the quot Start quot registry in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services msahci I switched that from to and windows was able to boot into AHCI mode and automatically got drivers Then i tried re-installing Intel Rapid Storage technology It was able to install and i rebooted my computer It blue screened again on the same part of the boot logo as before I had to switch back to IDE mode to get it working again Then i got new chipset drivers from Intel's website which didn't help The registry that i changed is still set to zero but it just won't successfully boot with AHCI like it did the first time i changed the registry I am very stumped and i dont know what i could do to make it work like it did before i flashed my bios My friend recommended that i should reinstall windows but then i would have to go through the trouble of getting everything back and i think there should be some way of doing this without reinstalling the os Thanks for reading all that The bottom line is that windows blue screens when the bios is in AHCI mode even though i have the registry that should fix that and that did fix it on one boot set to zero

A:BSOD during boot on AHCI mode

Try to read the error code or name and see if you can get the dump file from the disk...
The files of interest are C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP and anything in C:\Windows\MiniDump.

Given that the crash occurs during the Windows Logo there is most likely access to the disk thus a dump will be saved there, and given that the BSOD only shows shortly it most likely is a MiniDump, can you upload the most recent ones so we can analyze them?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/222180-bsod-during-boot-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I installed XP in dual boot mode with Vista pre-installed on a Toshiba Satellite L - J notebook Since I couldn't find the appropriate files for the F process in the compatibility vs SATA AHCI mode - Matrix Storage Manager in the L Toshiba driver section for XP you get an EXE file to use at xp install time in the BIOS I switched the SATA AHCI parameter to quot compatibility quot The XP installation went fine Once SATA - AHCI vs compatibility mode XP was installed when I tried to run the Matrix Storage Manager driver SATA - AHCI vs compatibility mode I got the message quot This computer does not meet minimum requirements for installing the software quot On the other hand the chipset utility was installed without a hitch When I switched back the quot compatibilty quot parameter to AHCI in the BIOS the system would not boot properly It would direct me to multiple choice screen for Safe mode etc Furthermore EasyBCD gets stuck when I try to define Vista in the Add Remove entries section How can I get into SATA mode at this stage

A:SATA - AHCI vs compatibility mode

do a repair install and make sure you hit F6 to install the RAID/AHCI drivers.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sata-ahci-vs-compatibility-mode-393681.html
Relevancy 55.04%

System nbsp HP Pavilion dm - sa AMD processor BIOS v nbsp Hewlett-Packard F Tue nbsp SDD HP Pavilion Mode AHCI dm1-4027sa maybe I should update to F but all I see is it improves WAN so nbsp Hello to all nbsp I'm going to purchase a GB Corsair Force SSD nbsp Now we all have seen the SDD AHCI Mode HP Pavilion dm1-4027sa option to enable AHCI mode I won't to do this as with TRIM support etc PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER WITH YOU DON'T NEED AHCI YOU CAN GO AHEAD Problem is the stupid BIOS is so simplified that there is nothing on there SDD AHCI Mode HP Pavilion dm1-4027sa for AHCI mode nbsp nbsp I looked in device manager and it seems it has been set up in RAID as all I get is IDE ATA ATAPI nbsp nbsp Below is device manager showing the controller Further below is the drivers of the controller nbsp nbsp Unless the AMD controller supports AHCI I will not purchase my SSD and forever think why on earth I bought this so called 'entertainment notebook PC' nbsp Thanks for looking guys and girls nbsp Danny nbsp

A:SDD AHCI Mode HP Pavilion dm1-4027sa

Hi, Danny: 99% of today's HP consumer notebooks do not have BIOS settings to change the storage controller options. If you want those options, you need to buy an HP business notebook. The good news is the AHCI is enabled by default on most of today's HP consumer notebooks. You can tell that your notebook is not configured in RAID mode because you do not have a Storage Controllers category in the device manager. It kind of stinks that your SATA driver is just labeled as a AMD SATA Controller and not a SATA AHCI Controller as they are when there is an Intel SATA controller installed, but it has to be in AHCI mode with the advanced chipset in your notebook. Paul

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/SDD-AHCI-Mode-HP-Pavilion-dm1-4027sa/td-p/1754373
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello I have a company laptop HP w with Checkpoint Pointsec HDD encryption and bit Vista I want to use win booted from an external eSATA drive For that to work first of all I had to remove the happens to IDE (not Changing SATA as mode to usually)?! it AHCI internal HDD Changing SATA to IDE mode (not to AHCI as it happens usually)?! because win install has already ed my system Changing SATA to IDE mode (not to AHCI as it happens usually)?! up Changing SATA to IDE mode (not to AHCI as it happens usually)?! one time probably the MBR because the encryption never came up after I installed win on the external drive Secondly I had to set SATA mode to IDE because in AHCI mode it can't be booted on this laptop RAID would also work but I didn't want to complicate things My question is if I try to boot from the internal drive would it Win Vista up or even the encryption stuff I mean without resetting SATA mode to AHCI so that i don't have to change it every time I want to boot from the extrnal drive And that's not even the biggest issue for now I think I will remove the internal drive every time I want to boot another OS I don't want to go to IT support all the time Basically what i wanted to achieve is to get the laptop to boot from the external drive whenever it is plugged in at home but boot the company OS Vista at work It seems it is not that easy Do you think it can be done

A:Changing SATA to IDE mode (not to AHCI as it happens usually)?!

You can not install windows to a external drive.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/280106-changing-sata-ide-mode-not-ahci-happens-usually.html
Relevancy 55.04%

So I made a bit of a mistake... I threw windows 7 on my new SSD. without having AHCI mode already enabled.. well I found you could do a little registry edit and bam it works... not.. it caused my system to constantly restart until I went back to IDE mode. my mobo is a MSI 870 G45

Question...

Should I just reinstall windows in AHCI mode. I have not installed much at all except for drivers no biggie I'd like to stomp this early. but I'm worried about re-installing will just cause system to go back into rebooting like crazy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/382297-ssd-ahci-mode-tried-reg-bios-attempt.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have an XP + Linux dual boot setup. I booted XP for the first time in months, and it immediately went back to the BIOS boot (no BSOD, only the automatic reboot). Safe mode did the same thing. After experimenting with BIOS setups, I discovered that the problem was apparently triggered by my changing the SATA controller setup from IDE to AHCI mode. Linux is OK with this, but XP apparently not.

Can someone verify this? Do I need another driver for XP? I doubt if the performance gain from AHCI is noticeable (true?) so perhaps it is just as good to keep the IDE mode for both OS's.

A:XP does not boot if SATA in AHCI mode?

my 2 cents: keep IDE mode.

however, the problem can solved by forcibly installing the xp SATA driver while in IDE mode (you must install hardware that is currently not connected). then restart in AHCI mode and windows XP should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-does-not-boot-if-sata-in-ahci-mode.633681/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi all,

i need some advise on the hard disk change with different OS.
Everytime i want to swap hard disk with different OS, WinXp(IDE) to Win7(AHCI), i need to do change some hard disk setting on BIOS. Is there any way that i can do to make both hard disk with different OS compatible on the desktop PC without change any setting on BIOS everytime i change hdd? Is there a way to make WinXP IDE mode to run under AHCI mode?

Regards,
adrian

A:How to make WinXP (IDE) able to run on AHCI mode?

Guide: Enable AHCI in Windows XP After Installation - Bootbeta

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/245246-how-make-winxp-ide-able-run-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 55.04%

When I tried to change SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS, it bluescreened while loading. I looked up the registry tweaks, but my registry seems to already be set up for AHCI.

A:How to change SATA mode to AHCI?

Read this thread it may help - http://www.eightforums.com/hardware-...e-manager.html

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/9263-how-change-sata-mode-ahci.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have an older win7 media server (WMC with 4 cable card tuners) that I want to add a 3TB drive.
However when I first installed sata controller was set to ide mode.
The 3tb drive only works with AHCI mode and of course my WIN7 will not boot
if I only switch mode in bios.
I was going to save everything on WHS2011, switch mode then restore everything
but system drive and storage drive GB usage is larger than what I have on WHS.
I was thinking of saving my storage files on other computers but that will take forever.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ray

A:Switching from IDE mode to AHCI help needed, please

Hi rnewman,

This thread might help - AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

Paul.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/285037-switching-ide-mode-ahci-help-needed-please.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I installed windows 8 in ide mode in the bios. Now , if I set that to AHCI mode in the bios then the pc won't boot and repair cd cannot do make the pc bootable. How can I fix this ? Is there a performance difference between ide and ahci mode ? I use segate ST2000DM001 as boot drive and have gigabyte p43-es3g mainboard.

If I can managet to set the pc to ahci mode , would windows 8 require activation or new license ?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

A:computer won't boot in AHCI mode ?

No need to set BIOS to IDE mode to install Windows 8. Just load the Sata Controller drivers.
SATA Driver - Load in Windows 8 Setup

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/14668-computer-wont-boot-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I built my system with a Samsung PRO m NVMe SSD as the Windows boot drive C plus a pair of old-fashioned SATA-III hard drives configured in RAID as my data drive D The SSD is plugged directly into one of the m slots on my motherboard I have the BIOS option for SATA controller set to RAID using the built-in Intel RST RAID controller And if it matters mode Using in an NVME RAID SSD vs AHCI Windows is running in UEFI mode Everything appears to be working fine except that Samsung's Magician utility does not recognize my Samsung PRO drive as an NVMe device so it will not manage it Within Samsung Magician the Samsung drive's name appears garbled with every second letter swapped quot aSsmnu gSS D RP O G B quot instead of quot Samsung SSD PRO GB quot Everywhere else including Windows System Properties Disk Management Device Manager and Intel RST the name of the Samsung SSD appears correctly Samsung Tech Support told me to download the NVMe driver from their website and install it but when I tried that I got an error message saying that no NVMe drives could be found on my system I am gathering that for some reason Samsung Magician refuses to work when there is a RAID controller managing the SATA drives even if the Samsung drive itself is not configured as RAID My questions are these Is there a workaround to Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode get Samsung Magician to work properly Does allowing the RAID controller to manage my Samsung SSD reduce the lifespan of the SSD That is since Samsung Magician does not recognize the drive do I lose any protection on the drive or can it end up with unnecessary read writes that will reduce its lifespan Same question but for read write efficiency Does having my SSD under the RAID controller mean I will lose some of the speed I would otherwise get from the SSD Is there a way to separate the SATA bus so the Samsung SSD can be managed directly by AHCI which still permitting me to have a RAID array for my other two drives Or is it either AHCI or RAID for the entire system If keeping the system the way I have it will reduce the SSD's lifespan or efficiency is having RAID worth it I make separate backups of my data drive I understand that RAID is not a backup strategy but it's somehow comforting to know that I am protected against a drive failure Or is RAID not really helpful in the modern world so I may as well get rid of it so I can use Samsung Magician Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/67039-using-nvme-ssd-ahci-vs-raid-mode.html
Relevancy 55.04%

A couple of weeks ago I cloned my HDD C drive to a new GB Samsung EVO SSD After fitting the SSD in place of the old HDD the system rebooted fine and worked well with a very noticeable increase in the speed at which Windows loaded However Samsung's quot Magician quot software informed me that the drive was running in SATA mode and that better performance would be obtained by switching the Storage Configuration parameter to AHCI mode in the BIOS on my ASUS P P D Pro motherboard So I tried this but Windows would not load I didn't get a to mode cloning get after AHCI Cannot HDD to work SSD BSOD as such I'd get the Windows start-up logo with the spinning dots below for a while then the screen would go blank then a message would flash briefly on the screen saying something along the lines of quot Windows has experienced a problem and was unable to start so your computer is being restarted quot not exact words as it's not on screen long enough for me to read and my computer reboots This startup error reboot loop is repeated until I enter the BIOS and switch Storage Configuration back to IDE whereupon all is back to normal Further research then revealed that I needed to tweak the registry so I did this Cannot get AHCI mode to work after cloning HDD to SSD but I still get the startup error reboot loop Next I tried booting into SAFE mode as described in this thread It'll boot fine if I leave Storage Configuration set to IDE but not if I change it to AHCI It just goes back to the same old startup error reboot loop and Windows makes no attempt to install any new drivers I know I could do a clean install of Windows but I don't really want to go down that route if I can possibly avoid it I strongly suspect that Cannot get AHCI mode to work after cloning HDD to SSD the motherboard's Intel R Series Series SATA AHCI RAID Controller does not have the right driver installed that would enable AHCI mode to work Is there a way that I can force installation of an updated driver Is there such a thing device manager tells me the latest driver is installed I can live with IDE mode as the computer boots considerably faster from the SSD and programs load much quicker too but not being able to use AHCI mode is bugging me so any suggestions would be very welcome Many thanks

A:Cannot get AHCI mode to work after cloning HDD to SSD

Try this :
1. Startup "Regedit With Administrator rights
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot Rig and enter BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting

In your BIOS select "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now change SATA Mode to AHCI from IDE.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/32340-cannot-get-ahci-mode-work-after-cloning-hdd-ssd.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi guys I'll try to explain my problem in as few words as possible First thing my build Board Gigabyte GA-P A-UD CPU Core i Ghz Graphic Sapphire 7 when in mode installing Windows AHCI BSOD AMD Radeon Mushkin x Gb Red Culvert Kit Mhz CAS - - - Seagate GB SATA II HDD WD Caviar Black TB SATA III HDD Running Windows Ultimate Trying to install Windows Ultimat PSU LC Power Arkangel W Ok so BSOD when installing Windows 7 in AHCI mode here's the deal I have Windows Ultimate installed on my Gb HDD and everything is running ok I just bought a WD Caviar Black TB SATA III disk and I want to install Windows there since the disk is faster Here's what happens When I connect the disk it is connected GSATA connectors the disk will be recognized in bios and in Windows but wont show under My Computer I figured it must be some software bug so I formatted the disk in diskpart clean format and installed Windows on it At that time the GSATA interface was set to IDE mode It ran fine but after installing a big batch of Windows updates the system hung at windows startup screen After restoring the system to a previous state i e before the updates the system booted up normally I didnt know what was wrong so I formatted again and this time I set the GSATA to AHCI mode since I realized this is a better option When installing in AHCI mode the computer expands the windows files but when the system is restarted I get a BSOD code Stop x B video driver failed to initialize at Setup is updating registry settings I really want to use the AHCI mode but I cant get the system to work in IDE either so its really a bugger I have no idea what could be causing this as the system works fine when using the other disk Can the BSOD be caused by the disk Anyway I' open to suggestions since I really want to start using the disk Any help would be appreciated Note I have tried installing Windows from a dvd as well as from a USB key Thank you J

A:BSOD when installing Windows 7 in AHCI mode

Quote: Originally Posted by Jure89

Hi guys, I'll try to explain my problem in as few words as possible.

First thing, my build:
Board: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
CPU: Core i7 870 @ 2,93 Ghz
Graphic: Sapphire AMD Radeon 8670
Mushkin 2x2Gb Red Culvert Kit @ 1600Mhz CAS 6-7-7-18
Seagate 320 GB SATA II HDD
+ WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HDD
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate
Trying to install: Windows 7 Ultimat
PSU: LC Power Arkangel 850W

Ok so here's the deal. I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my 320 Gb HDD and everything is running ok. I just bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III disk and I want to install Windows 7 there, since the disk is faster.
Here's what happens. When I connect the disk (it is connected GSATA 3 connectors), the disk will be recognized in bios and in Windows, but wont show under My Computer. I figured it must be some software bug so I formatted the disk in diskpart (clean format) and installed Windows 7 on it. At that time the GSATA 3 interface was set to IDE mode. It ran fine but after installing a big batch of Windows updates, the system hung at windows startup screen. After restoring the system to a previous state (i.e. before the updates), the system booted up normally.
I didnt know what was wrong so I formatted again, and this time I set the GSATA 3 to AHCI mode, since I realized this is a better option. When installing in AHCI mode, the computer expands the windows files but when the system is restarted, I get a BSOD (code Stop 0x000000B4 video driver failed to initialize) at Setup is updating registry settings. I really want to use the AHCI mode, but I cant get the system to work in IDE either so its really a bugger. I have no idea what could be causing this as the system works fine when using the other disk. Can the BSOD be caused by the disk? Anyway, I' open to suggestions since I really want to start using the disk. Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I have tried installing Windows 7 from a dvd as well as from a USB key.

Thank you,

J

Hi J and welcomes

That Bug Check just means there are no video drivers avail to use. Boot into safe mode and install them.

It may not show in disk management either because it doesnt have a drive letter, or because it may need a driver

I would also attempt to get it working in ide first then attempt the change to AHCI if absolutely necessary

Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/140133-bsod-when-installing-windows-7-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I changed the appropriate setting in the registry. (msachi > start: 0) Then I changed the setting in my motherboard and Windows froze upon starting up, and my system rebooted.

The thing is, I changed it to AHCI before. It worked fine! I then switched back to IDE while trying to fix a problem with eSATA detection (turned out to be a faulty cord), Now I can't switch back! Sigh. I really would like my eSATA to be plug and play.

Thanks.

A:Why does Windows 7 freeze when I try to switch to AHCI mode?

Did you follow these steps? AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

You may need to do a clean reinstall in AHCI mode following these steps to get it perfect: Reinstalling Windows 7

Then capture an image so you don't have to reinstall ever again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/205784-why-does-windows-7-freeze-when-i-try-switch-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi there some time ago I switched my SATA controllers from native IDE to AHCI mode via regediting the quot Start quot parameters of msahci and pciide After rebooting and swichting to AHCI support in the BIOS Windows installed the generic AHCI drivers Afterwards I replaced those with AMD AHCI drivers Recently I flashed my BIOS naturally reloading CMOS default state This of course lead to the system running in IDE mode again The registry values have stayed the same but my system won't boot when switching to AHCI mode again in the BIOS quot Loading Operating System A disk read error has occured press CTRL Alt DEL to restart quot What do I have to do do get my system running in AHCI mode again boot AHCI and mode problem driver I already thought about uninstalling the AMD AHCI drivers as a brief boot information screen shows that the system is trying to use those to boot instead of using the generic Microsoft ones The Catalyst Installation Manager doesn't provide me with the possiblity to uninstall those though Any help is very much appreciated

A:AHCI mode and driver boot problem

In your bios, make sure ahci is selected under disk type.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/312789-ahci-mode-driver-boot-problem.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello.
I recently got new Intel SSD series 330 60gb in addition to my standard 1tb Samsung HDD. So I set RAID mode from IDE to AHCI in BIOS (mobo MSI X85 pro-e). Now some of SATA ports (port 3 and 5) don't recognize my HDD or CD/DVD being connected but I still can use them in windows while other ports display them normally in BIOS. Also when I switch back to IDE mode, ports 3 and 5 display hardware in BIOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-ports-wont-work-in-ahci-mode.195845/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi back with another issue on a different computer I'm installing Seven on a WinXP machine and completed the install but forgot to change the SATA setting in the mode Changing Compatibility from AHCI SATA to bios from quot compatibility mode quot to AHCI Now when I change it windows gives me bluescreen on boot I'm dumbfounded that Windows Seven startup repair can't fix a problem this simple but it completely failed wasn't even able to find a problem I was thinking it might be easier to just reformat and begin the install over again or startup in safemode and install the intel SATA drivers assuming it will let me boot into safemode with AHCI enabled Is there another alternative here Thanks ps On the other computer different thread I'm going to wait till I have several hours of uninterrupted time in case I need to begin over installing all the windows versions one at a time I'll reply with any success failure on that thread later in the week

A:Changing SATA from Compatibility mode to AHCI

Not to worry - Windows 7 actually already has a generic AHCI driver; it just needs to be enabled before you change the mode in your BIOS.

Microsoft provides a step-by-step guide for doing so, which involves nothing more than setting a single registry value.

Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Let us know if you need help with anything else.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/192505-changing-sata-compatibility-mode-ahci.html
Relevancy 54.61%

While dealing with another issue, I've been told that I should switch my SATA mode from RAID to AHCI. I do not have a RAID array and don't plan to. However, I've been told that I would need drivers for this, and I'm not sure if my Windows installation has them or not. I don't want to switch modes only to boot Windows and have it corrupted or god-knows-what. So could someone tell me if it's possible to just switch? Or should I check for drivers first?

A:Switching SATA Mode from RAID to AHCI

First of all, is it really currently set to RAID mode in the BIOS?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/290194-switching-sata-mode-raid-ahci.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello all I mode 680i motherboard - Nforce SLI AHCI XFX have XFX Nforce AHCI mode - XFX Nforce 680i SLI motherboard i SLI motherboard and today i decided to make a little upgrade to my - year old system so i bought the new Corsair gb LS SSD http www corsair com en ssd force-series-ls-ssd force and so i made a little research and i saw that everyone was talking about activating the AHCI mode in the AHCI mode - XFX Nforce 680i SLI motherboard Sata configuration AHCI mode - XFX Nforce 680i SLI motherboard for the SSD in the bios which will make the SSD drive work with full speed and whatnot so as it turns out either i couldn t find anywhere in the bios to activate this option or just my mobo just support it S which would really suck So i thought i d ask the community maybe i didn t look at the right place in the bios so i was wondering if anyone can help me activate this AHCI for my SSD Just for the record i already installed the SSD and running windows -bit on it right now with no issues all went smooth without any issues this is a link to my mobo http www bit-tech net hardware xfx nforce please any help would be greatly appreciated with regards Gfs nbsp

A:AHCI mode - XFX Nforce 680i SLI motherboard

Edit: Apparently the NForce 680 chipset does not support AHCI.

You can still use the SSD and it'll still be fast. Not having AHCI is not a deal breaker.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ahci-mode-xfx-nforce-680i-sli-motherboard.1107980/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi I bought my laptop last year and it came new on on a SSD HP install my Mode ENV... Problem AHCI enabling with these stats Operating System Windows Processor Intel Core i - U with Intel Problem enabling AHCI Mode on a new SSD install on my HP ENV... HD Graphics GHz MB cache cores Processor family Intel Problem enabling AHCI Mode on a new SSD install on my HP ENV... Core i processorMemory GB DDR L- SDRAM x GB Storage TB rpm SATA nbsp I upgraded to Windows straight away Now I realised Problem enabling AHCI Mode on a new SSD install on my HP ENV... the only thing holding my system back was the HDD Last week I bought the Samsung EVO GB It's great but I have one problem Before replacing the hard drive with the SSD in device manager it came up IDE ATA ATAPI gt Standard SATA AHCI Controller Now after doing a clean install of windows it comes up nbsp IDE ATA ATAPI gt Intel R Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller When I open the magician software it comes up in red writing AHCI Mode Deactivated IDE OR RAID and it also says SATA Interface N A beside it See attachment My problem now is I have no idea how to enable AHCI mode and there is no option to do it in the BIOS How do I stop this problem from coming up in Magician I can find no option anywhere to enable AHCI mode Also can someone explain the difference in the two different things under IDE ATA ATAPI in Device Manager Thanks in advance

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Problem-enabling-AHCI-Mode-on-a-new-SSD-install-on-my-HP/td-p/5782762
Relevancy 54.61%

hi everyone, i'm new in this post, i'm nicfalc and i have some problems with my laptop, a toshiba satellite pro l40.
the problem is that i bought a new ssd but everytime that i boot the pc i got an error of s.m.a.r.t. command failed.

so i did some research on the net and i found that maybe it could be the fact that the mobo is set in ide mode and not in ahci mode.

i can't find the section in the bios to change it,and maybe this mobo isn't capable of doing that.

what can i do to change in ahci mode without trying to flash a new bios ect....

i'm currently on windows 10 pro 64 bit.

thanks a lot

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?92877-Satellite-Pro-L40-cannot-find-AHCI-mode-settings
Relevancy 54.61%

My Computer Configuration:
(1) 128GB Solid State Drive (windows os)
(4) 1TB (set in a raid 1+0 configuration)

Here is the MYSTERY:
I am currently booting to my ssd in ACHI Mode.
yet the 4 hard drives show up as a single hard drive with a capacity of 2TB in explorer.

The Question is:
are the 4 hard drives actually working in a raid 1+0 configuration?
Is this even possible in AHCI Mode?
if this is not possible, then what is happening?

-----

(other details)
when I change the Sata configuration to Raid mode and try to boot to the SSD i get this error message:

Info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

A:Can a Raid 1+0 configuration work in AHCI mode?

4 hard drives in a raid 10 will show up as 2TB. It is composed as follows:

2 pairs of mirrored (raid 1) disk with a raid 0 stripe across the disks. Each mirrored pair is 1TB and you stripe across two of them giving you 2 TB.

Yes, it is probably working.

AHCI or IDE mode should not matter. Are you setting the SSD device to raid mode? If so, that is the source of your error - you need at least two drives to do any type of raid.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/202640-can-raid-1-0-configuration-work-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 54.61%

How do I set SATA controller to operate in AHCI mode onDell Inspiron 537MT ? I'm getting ready to add a 120 GB SSD & use MiniTool Partition Wizard to Migrate Windows 10 OS to SSD https://www.partitionwizard.com/help...from-free90100 If SATA controller is in AHCI mode then I think I can migrate to the SSD as planned, but if SATA controller is not in AHCI mode I don't know what to do!! I'm doing this for a friend & I'm also documenting on my website so anyone else can have info to add a SSD & extend the life of older computer to save $$here's my web address http://shopwilkes.net/comp_help/how_to_install_an_ssd.htm any info will be greatly appreciated

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/set-sata-controller-to-operate-in-ahci-mode.1170890/
Relevancy 54.61%

i have a dell e laptop core p ghz windows sp under storage it says Intel ICH M-E ICH M-E Series SATA RAID controller well i just got a pro ssd to install and would like it to be in ahci mode but i have alot of programs on my computer like word excel adobe and a bunch others that i dont want to lose so if i do a fresh install and change sata to ahci then ill lose all the programs anyhow i tried to get ahci mode working AHCI not after registry edit mode enabled now that way is all i would have to do is clone my hdd to the sdd and all would hopefully be good i changed the msahci in registry to along with iastorv to but still wouldnt work even tried it is safe mode the thing is im in enabled in irrt mode now but yet both the msahci and iastorv are still AHCI mode not working after registry edit at so it almost AHCI mode not working after registry edit seems like when i change those values nothing happens at all anyhow anybody know how to get ahci mode to work on this dell e without reinstall

A:AHCI mode not working after registry edit

You usually set ahci in the BIOS not in windows. But I assume you cant because its an oem system you have.

try it though its worth a shot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/ahci-mode-not-working-after-registry-edit-814578.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I installed an Akasa sata front panel Akasa PC Front Panel with SATA Data Power to Gsata only device all other drives on sata connectors including boot drive In the bios Gsata was set for IDE mode I plugged a sata drive into the sata front panel started the machine and all is well the drive is fully functional I would like to be able to hot swap to the Akasa so I changed the Gsata setting in the bios to AHCI and restarted but it seems to still be running in IDE mode Dev Mgr shows ' port Serial ATA storage mode AHCI Install 64 After Vista Verifying controller - A ' Questions How do I verify AHCI mode for the drive plugged into the sata front panel If it is still running in IDE mode how can I force AHCI Is it advantageous to 'force' AHCI for the drives including boot on the other controller sata and would stability issues arise Relevant Specs Vista Ultimate GA-EP N-UD Verifying AHCI mode After Vista 64 Install R mainboard P Q sata controller Seagate sata HDs DVD Gsata controller Akasa Front Panel with sata drive plugged in Thanks James

A:Verifying AHCI mode After Vista 64 Install

An update to the issue:

After doing a little more research, I found this link:

Error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

It relates to enabling AHCI after Vista is already installed. No need to go through the process for XP, as is demonstrated here:

HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums (for XP, not Vista)

All one needs do in Vista (and only if enabling AHCI for the system drive) is one registry change.

At any rate, I decided to try plugging a sata drive into the Akasa front port with the system running and, lo and behold, auto-play popped right up and offered its options. I opened an explorer window and could see and manipulate the contents of the drive.

So, if anyone wishes to enable AHCI after a Vista install, it's quite simple. Just do it. But remember, if you enable AHCI for the boot drive, you must edit the registry (as in the 1st link) to tell Vista to load the AHCI driver (Msahci.sys) **before** you enable it in the bios.

James

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/195061-verifying-ahci-mode-after-vista-64-install.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have an Asus M4N78 PRO.

There are 6 Sata connectors but 2 support AHCI and RAID mode only. (4 red and 2 black)

I have 3 harddrives and 1 DVD connected in the 4 red ports.

Maybe I'm going to buy a SSD to speed up my PC Is it possible to use one of the black sata ports if I enable AHCI. (I don't want RAID, just want to use it like the others SATA ports).

Then should I put my DVD or a harddrive in the black port?

A:SATA that support AHCI and RAID mode only

If you enable AHCI, I suppose that SATA ports 5 and 6 will behave like the other four SATA ports. I see no indication in the M4N78 PRO manual that ports 5 and 6 are on a third-party controller.

On my own Asus motherboard, I'm using AHCI mode. An SSD, a HD, and two optical drives (all SATA) work without problems.

I don't know how easy it is to switch to AHCI mode without re-installing windows with your nVidia chipset. It's not difficult with Microsoft drivers:

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/134886-sata-support-ahci-raid-mode-only.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I just put in a second hard drive (Maxtor, 250GB, ultra ata/133) into my dell dimension 4550 as primary slave. The drive only operates in PIO mode, which is extremely slow. I have been trying to enable DMA mode without success. The following is what I've tried:

1. Checked the jumper settings; both hard drives are cable select.
2. Verified that the new drive is fine using Maxtor's testing utility.
3. Changed dell cable to the cable that came with the new drive.
4. Uninstalled primary IDE channel driver and let XP detect the drives and reinstall the drivers.

None of these works. Related to this is an odd thing that the BIOS doees not recognize the devices on either primary or secondary slave (I have CD-RW drive on secondary slave), but I can use the slave drives in XP. I have XP Professional SP2 on my system.

By this time, I am pretty much desperate! Any help is appreciated!!!

XW

A:Second hard drive in PIO mode only

More testing

I did some more tweaking:

1. Put the new drive on secondary master (just for testing). The drive work great in Ultra DMA 5 mode. BIOS recognize the drive fine.

2. Instead of cable select, manually set master and slave on the two drives. The BIOS still does not recognize the slave and XP puts it in PIO mode.

It seems the problem is either the IDE controller or the BIOS have problem dealing with 2 drives on the same cable.

Any ideas? Please!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/second-hard-drive-in-pio-mode-only.29130/
Relevancy 54.18%

I installed XP in dual boot mode with Vista pre-installed on a Toshiba Satellite L - J notebook Since I couldn t find the AHCI mode - SATA vs compatibility boot for dual appropriate files for the F process in the Matrix Storage Manager in the L Toshiba driver section for XP you get an EXE file to use at xp install time SATA - AHCI vs compatibility mode for dual boot in the BIOS I switched the SATA AHCI parameter to quot compatibility quot The XP installation went fine Once XP was installed when I tried to run the Matrix Storage Manager driver I got the message quot SATA - AHCI vs compatibility mode for dual boot This computer does not meet minimum requirements for installing the software quot On the other hand the chipset utility was installed without a hitch When I switched back the quot compatibilty quot parameter to AHCI in the BIOS the system would not boot properly It would direct me to SATA - AHCI vs compatibility mode for dual boot multiple choice screen for Safe mode etc Furthermore EasyBCD gets stuck when I try to define Vista in the Add Remove entries section How can I get into SATA mode at this stage nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-ahci-vs-compatibility-mode-for-dual-boot.842059/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi I've just installed an SSD drive Installation Error 3 MBR1 After MBR AHCI Mode Windows 7 Samsung EVO and set it up with Win by cloning the previous drive I'd like to switch from IDE to ACHI mode and I AHCI Mode After Windows 7 Installation MBR 3 MBR1 Error followed the instructions at the foot of this post prior to switching the quot On Chip SATA type quot in the BIOS from IDE AHCI Mode After Windows 7 Installation MBR 3 MBR1 Error to ACHI and have had partial success although I get the following error MBR Error MBR Error Press any key to boot from floppy there is no floppy drive installed in my machine If I restart the machine open up the boot menu and select quot a first boot device quot as quot Hard Disk quot quot SCSI- Port -Samsung ssd quot Windows boots up fine However if I restart it I get the same error and have to manually select a boot device again If I switch back to IDE mode in the bios the problem goes away but then I get then get a reduced SSD performance Can anyone help me fix this Edit I had a second data HDD connected when I installed the ssd if that makes a difference Instructions Exit all Windows-based programs Click Start type regedit in the Start Search box and then press ENTER If you receive the User Account Control dialog box click Continue Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services Msahci HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services IastorV In the pane on the right side right-click Start in the Name column and then click Modify In the Value data box type and then click OK On the File menu click Exit to close Registry Editor

A:AHCI Mode After Windows 7 Installation MBR 3 MBR1 Error

I've changed the boot order in the bios to ensure the ssd is number 1 on the list. This has resolved it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/333228-ahci-mode-after-windows-7-installation-mbr-3-mbr1-error.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD (256 GB) and I installed windows seven on it, but not in AHCI Mode. I was going to change that now using this method: GUIDE - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation - Guru3D.com Forums

It says that it works for all Intel SSDs, I assume this would work with mine as well, but I want to be sure before I accidentally mess something up. Also, is there any disadvantage to doing this as opposed to just installing Windows Seven in AHCI mode to begin with?

Lastly, I have all of my user folders on my HDD, and I'm wondering if it's safe to change these settings which Samsung's Software recommends without interfering or causing trouble with the HDD. Here's images of the recommended changes:

A:Questions About Enabling AHCI Mode After Windows Seven Install

ROBO731, follow this tutorial

AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista
As far as Samsung Magician, I am not sure. Someone else with a Samsung can answer that for you

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/293218-questions-about-enabling-ahci-mode-after-windows-seven-install.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi everybody, everything in the suject, please help. I want to give full power to Xubuntu.

Solved!
Go to Solution.

Relevancy 54.18%

Product type > Notebook
Family > Satellite Pro
Product Series > Satellite Pro L Series
Model > Satellite Pro L300 24L
Short Model No > PSLB9E

Hi.

XP and Seven are installed in dual-boot on my laptop, and I use EasyBCD to choose which system I want to start.

To start XP, I need to enable "Compatiblity" (SATA controller mode in the BIOS) and for Seven is "AHCI" to be activated.

Is there a way for my two OS been booted without making changes in the bios?
Is there an update to fix this problem (or an alternative)?

Thank you in advance.
Marc

A:Satellite Pro L300 - Dual boot with AHCI mode

Yes you can do this but I?m afraid you must reinstall WXP.
Why? Because before WXP installation start you must change to AHCI mode, start WXP installation and before you start it you must load SATA driver (using F6 I think).

Long time ago we have discusses a lot about this on this forum so use advanced search options anc check other postings about this.

By the way: check http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB7B020R0000R01.htm

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?72306-Satellite-Pro-L300-Dual-boot-with-AHCI-mode
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi everybody, everything in the suject, please help. I want to give full power to Xubuntu.

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:The AHCI option of onboard SATA mode of a Veriton ...

google m275 service manual

http://community.acer.com/t5/Veriton/The-AHCI-option-of-onboard-SATA-mode-of-a-Veriton-M275-is-greyed/td-p/388454
Relevancy 54.18%

As the title says I just can't install 7 on it, I've tried compatibility mode and it just get's stuck half way and stays that way. I'm fixing this for a friend and have never come across this before. I've taken out the hard drive and checked it on my PC and the drive seems fine as I checked it with crystal disk, I formatted it and still the same results. Any ideas would be helpful. I might try Xp and see will it install that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/392628-cant-install-windows-7-toshiba-c660-ahci-mode.html
Relevancy 54.18%

System Specifications CPU Intel i - Mobo Gigabyte GA-Z X-UD H RAM GB GPU Nvidia GTX SSD Boot GB Samsung HDD Storage TB Seagate Barracuda amp GB Seagate Barracuda Switching for Solved: firmware between AHCI HDD mode update. IDE & Model ST AS Serial VMBPPDX I am trying to update the firmware on one of my hard drives but every time I try it fails It simply says no controllers found and then failed I think it is due to the fact that it is an older drive years and I am currently in AHCI mode opposed to IDE I am in AHCI mode as I have a SSD as the boot drive The drive I am trying to perform the firmware update on is a Seagate Barracuda GB The method of updating the firmware involves running a exe from Windows which in turn opens a utility that then restarts the computer and updates the firmware No bootable USB or CD is used during the process Is there a way to change my system to IDE mode update the firmware then change back to AHCI mode without causing any issues If the update process involved a bootable USB or CD I would just disconnect the boot drive during Solved: Switching between AHCI & IDE mode for HDD firmware update. the process but this doesn t seem to Solved: Switching between AHCI & IDE mode for HDD firmware update. be an option here Any help would be much appreciated Thanks in advance for any responses nbsp

A:Solved: Switching between AHCI & IDE mode for HDD firmware update.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-switching-between-ahci-ide-mode-for-hdd-firmware-update.1131056/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello All,

On One of my dell laptops....

I tried Installing OS using IRST mode on in Sata Operations in BIOS.. but OS wasn't able to detect disks while Installing it. Even diskpart showed no disk available.

So I installed OS after changing sata mode back AHCI ..

I have a mSATA of 60GB and an HDD of 1 TB ...
OS got installed on 1TB hdd....

But the now the OS is not utilizing the SSD of Cache management.
If I change the sata mode back to Intel Smart Response tech (ISRT) the Computer goes NO BOOT
Is there a way I can change ISRT back ON in BIOS without Reinstalling OS..

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/381145-convert-sata-mode-ahci-isrt-without-reinstalling-os.html
Relevancy 54.18%

How do I install the XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the the for XP out Solved: for the AHCI a with driver reinstall SATA mode need need for a reinstall which now has sata as IDE emulation or compatibility mode and I multi-boot with this desktop computer with Vista and Ubuntu Linux The mother board is a ASUS P QL Pro and have a GB SATA hard drive I do know how to enable the sata AHCI drivers in Vista and the but is there some way to install Solved: XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the need for a reinstall this Intel P ICH chip set driver into my XP Pro bit SP and then re-boot into the BIOS to change the SATA mode to full AHCI from the Solved: XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the need for a reinstall IDE Or can I make the changes first in Vista and to enable the needed sata driver and boot to the BIOS to switch the mode Solved: XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the need for a reinstall then boot to either the Ultimate boot CD for Windows or my real XP CD disk to attempt to then install the XP sata AHCI driver I just want to avoid a full re-install of XP Or I can clone an image of my XP drive partition to then put onto a PATA IDE second new hard drive nbsp

A:Solved: XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the need for a reinstall

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-sata-driver-for-the-ahci-mode-with-out-the-need-for-a-reinstall.1034307/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hey all,

I tried installing the 8.1 Intel SATA/RAID driver from the ASUS website P8Z68-V motherboard model, but when enabling AHCI in BIOS I'm getting blue screens which is making me think something isn't configured properly in the OS. Does anyone know how to properly enable this in 8.1 yet? I'd definitely appreciate the extra speed out of my SSD

A:Blue screen when enabling AHCI mode in Windows 8.1

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to enable ACHI before installing windows, I don't think you can change it on a current installation.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/33883-blue-screen-when-enabling-ahci-mode-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have an Optiplex 755 OS win 7 running on RAID autodetect /ATA. I wish to use the esata port so I need to change the mode to RAID autodetect /AHCI.I have found 3 different solutions none of which is clear and I am unsure whether I should keep on installing Drivers in the hope that I might hit the correct version. I attach the links that I have found. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/se...https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/w...https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...

A:change sata mode to RAID autodetect /AHCI.

Follow the last link (the Microsoft Support article).

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/change-sata-mode-to-raid-autodetect-ahci/19188.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi everyone I've got a Latitude D820 and I really like it. I'm really interested in getting an SSD to put in this system but I have my doubts. I have been told that SSDs only really like being in ACHI mode but the D820 doesn't have this option in the BIOS. I've also been told that SSDs running in IDE compatibility mode will cause bluescreens and have slow performance.
I did some digging around and discovered that Dell have hidden this option from BIOS setup for the sake of saving time, answering costumer support calls regarding SATA operation and drivers.
So my question is, will Dell be able to release a new BIOS revision with this feature enabled? The D820 is still a capable and i would hate to see it crippled in this way.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
George.

A:Latitude D820 BIOS | SATA AHCI Mode

The answer is that this system is long since end of life - it will not see any further BIOS updates.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19427659
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi My desktop h - t is about years old and is configured with two TB factory-installed HDDs along with a custom-installed GB SSD where my OS windows now resides nbsp Out of the box the two HDDs were configured in raid When I moved my OS over to the SSD about PC Won't Mode Changing Boot After from SATA Controller "AHCI... a year ago I changed the sata controller mode in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI Now since I'm about to sell my computer I changed the mode back PC Won't Boot After Changing SATA Controller Mode from "AHCI... to RAID my intention was to configure the hard drives into RAID so as to increase reliability for whomever buys the computer I now realize that HP's bios doesn't seem to support anything besides RAID nbsp Anyway after making this change my computer will no longer boot I get past post and the screen is black with a blinking white cursor as if the operating system isn't there No blue screen No text Nothing After doing some reading it seems that I needed to do a clean OS install if I wanted to change the controller mode nbsp After trying to revert back to AHCI mode and even IDE mode the issue persists

A:PC Won't Boot After Changing SATA Controller Mode from "AHCI...

Hi: That is correct. You would have needed to install the RAID driver before changing the setting and restarting the PC. Now it is in no man's land. See if you can rectify the problem by trying the info on this link below... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976 If not, you will need to reinstall the OS with the drive controller set as you wish. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/PC-Won-t-Boot-After-Changing-SATA-Controller-Mode-from-quot/td-p/5703650
Relevancy 54.18%

A strange problem nothing critical but I found it annoying that my optical sata drives will not boot from a bootable disk when in AHCI mode in Bios If I switch the drive mode to native IDE then I can boot just fine from mode sata no AHCI optical boot drives from either of the Opitcal Sata drives I have done some searching and found this has been AHCI mode no boot from sata optical drives a problem out for some builds MB in the past but you would think with a new MB and Sata controller AHCI mode no boot from sata optical drives and such this would no longer be a problem If AHCI mode no boot from sata optical drives you look at my specs you will see the Gigabyte MB The documentation is fuzzy on the sata ports There is a setting to put SATA port into some kind of IDE support mode I currently have the slots - used for all the drives amp for HDD and amp for the optical drives wondering if I use the slots for the SATA and set the bios to the ide support if this might solve my little problem Has anyone else out there run into a similar problem

A:AHCI mode no boot from sata optical drives

Optical drives to my knowledge don't benefit from AHCI.
You have 2 controllers, Intel and Gigabyte.

1. Install SATA hard drives on the Intel controller and set it to AHCI.
2. Install Optical drives to the Gigabyte controller and set it to IDE.

Even if you did set all controllers to AHCI, double check the boot option and make sure that the optical drives are set as the first boot device.

Ideally, the hard drives take advantage of AHCI, so it doesn't matter whether the optical drive is set to AHCI or IDE.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/160344-ahci-mode-no-boot-sata-optical-drives.html
Relevancy 54.18%

hi all. i just got an asus a8r32 mvp deluxe crossfire board, and it has tons of options in the bios im not used to seeing. one of them, under storage, allows you to run your sata drives in 'emulated pata mode' or 'AHCI mode.' i have read that AHCI is faster, but what exactly does it do, and how do I get my computer to support it, because everytime I enable it my system reboots and will not load windows. thanks.

A:Sata Drives - How Do I Enable My Motherboard To Run Them In Ahci Mode?

answered my own question yet again, i need to install the sata drivers during a windows install, and ahci is not recommended for single machines anyway.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drives-how-do-i-enable-my-motherboard-to-run-them-in-ahci-mode.58228/
Relevancy 54.18%

I am new and I installed new SSD intel series GB primary drive with a appearing AHCI SSD new Secondary not with HDD Computer in Vista mode, my secondary drive TB Western digital Black and TB Toshiba It dosn t work at the same time in ahc mode but for ide mode all drives worked fine and bios detected it all ssd and hdd together in ide mode In ahc mode bios detect ssd and two hdd but with Ahc Vista windows not Vista with new SSD AHCI mode, Secondary HDD not appearing in my Computer appear Tb western Digital HDD Toshiba HDD ok -My os Windows Vista Premium bit My Motherboard Asus P K-E WIFI AP GB Kingston Ram ntel GB series SSD TB HDD Western Digital TB Toshiba HDD Gpu Radeon HD Cpu intel quad core -In AHCI mode bios and Windows detected ntel GB SSD and TB Western Digital Tb Toshiba But in ahc mode Windows not detected Tb Western Digital on my os not appear -In IDE mode bios and Windows detected ntel SSD TB Western Digital and TB Toshiba all drive work fine

A:Vista with new SSD AHCI mode, Secondary HDD not appearing in my Computer

My recommendation would be to stay in IDE mode. The performance gain with AHCI is minimal anyhow. I run my Vista systems (all have SSDs) in IDE mode with no problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/300678-vista-new-ssd-ahci-mode-secondary-hdd-not-appearing-my-computer.html
Relevancy 53.75%

ok i am having a weaird problem

when i restart my comp then my hdd is in UDMA 5 mode which is good

then whatever i do on this hdd it goes gown

to udma4... and then finally untill PIO MODE

i am running windows xp

this started happening after i switched to new mobo

MOBO : ASUS p5k premium

please help me someone its really annoying

Relevancy 53.75%

I am trying to erase all of the data on my hard disk using an OS based off of linux...And It says my hard drive is frozen. How do I unfreeze it? It is a 3 month old Western Digital Scorpio 500gb 5400 rpm 2.5" disk. Please help me!

A:How to get a hard drive out of freeze mode?

If you have a single hard drive, I would recommend just using DBAN. I believe it'll ignore any and all parameters you've managed above.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/151816-how-get-hard-drive-out-freeze-mode.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello,
I am a user of the vistax64 forums and found thread on the 7 forums related to a problem I have. I use vista but I don't think my problem is OS independent. Anyway, I stumbled upon this thread:
Sata Mode AHCI / IDE

A user, Unifex, posted this "Well, that's the thing for Dell Inspiron - there is no separate setting in the BIOS for AHCI. Only IDE and RAID. But, RAID actually corresponds to AHCI, so by choosing RAID I actually get the AHCI BIOS screen and so on"

That is exactly what I want to know how to do. How do you get the AHCI BIOS screen after selecting RAID in the Inspirion 530s BIOS? I am aware this is a very hardware specific question. I hope this is appropriate for these forums. Unifex, if you happen to be reading this post, I would greatly appreciate your input considering your familiarity of this BIOS.

A:Selecting AHCI SATA mode: Dell Inspirion 530s

Hello,

I believe the RAID option is for the AHCI. There inst a separate BIOS Screen for this option although it may show a few more settings on the BIOS relating to the RAID. If you are going to setup your OS so that it uses AHCI then you will have to download the drivers first or your system wont boot.

For a little more information have a look at this:
Difference Between AHCI and IDE | Difference Between | AHCI vs IDE

And:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...L/appendix.htm
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220378-selecting-ahci-sata-mode-dell-inspirion-530s.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I am having trouble installing Win Ultimate x on my new Intel SSD drive connected to the Marvell controller on my Asus board in AHCI mode Mind you Windows installed fine on the when Marvell was in IDE mode I am usually able to get to the HDD selection-screen and here I see the Intel drive just fine Then I load the Marvell x Controller Driver V downloaded from asus com - where I made sure to select Win -bit I also tried AHCI-mode on 9128 7 Ultimate Windows controller in Marvell x64 the version - downloaded from some other place During the subsequent installation the setup crashes hangs at various times And nothing more happens One time I managed to get into Windows after AHCI-mode on Marvell 9128 controller in Windows 7 Ultimate x64 the installation but after one more reboot that was the last I saw of the Desktop I read a guide on how to switch to AHCI controller-mode after having done the installation in IDE mode The guide How to enable AHCI in Windows RC after installation iThinkDifferent along with several other guides talks about modifying the quot msahci quot entry to value quot quot under HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services This results in the same hang-situation during boot-up - after the switch to AHCI has been done in the BIOS Side-notes Have run Memtest on the RAM for over hours with no errors also the system has run stable as heck the past six months on a regular HDD on the exact same Marvell port I sooo need your suggestions I find it so frustrating that I cannot enjoy my new and blazing fast hardware with the optimal settings

A:AHCI-mode on Marvell 9128 controller in Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Why are you the marvell controller port?
Connect it to the normal Intel controller ports.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/157171-ahci-mode-marvell-9128-controller-windows-7-ultimate-x64.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi I'm working with a new PC build that uses a GB SSD for its boot drive and which is also reusing some quot old quot SATA HDDs for storage At the time when Cannot AHCI connected Win7 in multiple start drives mode are I installed Windows Ult I had only a new SSD plugged in and the bios was set to AHCI mode The installation went fine and I was able to boot into Windows afterwards without issue Then I connected a WD Caviar Black SATA HDD to use as storage with the SSD being the boot drive With both of them connected Windows will not get past the Cannot start Win7 in AHCI mode when multiple drives are connected Starting Windows screen I made this video of the program before I understood that it was a drive controller issue Startup problem - YouTube In it you can see that Windows boots fine in AHCI mode with just the SSD plugged in Cannot start Win7 in AHCI mode when multiple drives are connected but that when the backup SATA drive is also connected it doesn't get past the Starting Windows screen For the record this Caviar Black HDD was my previous boot OS and it also has a Win install on it which I've renamed the base folder of but it is not booting from that HDD Also I have tried the same thing with other quot old quot SATA HDDs that do not have any previous Windows install on them and the result is the same thing which is shown in the video I do not understand why and don't know what to do about it All help is appreciated thank you

A:Cannot start Win7 in AHCI mode when multiple drives are connected

Have you scoured the BIOS for any other setting relating to AHCI? I seem to recall at least 2 different settings for it on my ASUS motherboard. Also look for any settings that might relate to hard drives, bootup, anything like that. How much of the BIOS did you change from its original settings?

Also, have you gone to the motherboard's manufacturer and installed every last driver for your version of windows? I found this, but it seems like a short list (considering some of these were for different versions of windows)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/196692-cannot-start-win7-ahci-mode-when-multiple-drives-connected.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello everybody What started out as a request for guidance ended up with me solving my own problem Thought I may as well pass on my findings anyway just in owners Windows AFTER Enabling mode - AHCI Attn. SSD installation. 10 case it helps somebody else in the same situation So over the weekend through a series of upgrades I successfully hopped from Vista to Windows Professional -bit But as is not unusual I again managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory With my new SSD loaded with Win goodness I realised I was still operating it in IDE mode A confident dip into the BIOS to enable AHCI mode resulted in Windows then failing to start because it no longer recognised Attn. SSD owners - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation. the boot drive I'm guessing the AHCI driver wasn't loaded during installation since the mode wasn't in use So back to IDE mode and a surf around for solutions Plenty around pertaining to Vista Win and Win involving changing registry values but nothing tangible for Win However I found this alternative Win workaround which I can confirm works equally well in Windows I realise I'm probably teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs with this post here but perhaps somebody as equally technophobic as me may find it useful This is what I did Run Command Prompt as Admin Invoke a Safe Mode boot with the command bcdedit set current safeboot minimal Restart the PC and enter your BIOS during bootup Change from IDE to AHCI mode then Save amp Exit Windows will launch in Safe Mode Right click the Window icon and select to run the Command Prompt in Admin mode from among the various options Cancel Safe Mode booting with the command bcdedit deletevalue current safeboot Restart your PC once more and this time it will boot up normally but with AHCI mode activated Bask in the reflected glory of being a total Windows God nbsp nbsp Tip See also How to Enable AHCI in Windows and Windows after Installation

A:Attn. SSD owners - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation.

Was it brand new SSD you replaced ...or old one just upgrading to wds 10...?
Because i have SSD with wds8.1 ..upgraded to wds10 .. did not see any problems ...!

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/15006-attn-ssd-owners-enabling-ahci-mode-after-windows-10-installation.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My computer is a 750 AMD Duron my motherboard is an PcChips M810LMR the hard drive is a Quantum (now Maxtor because of recent merge) Fireball Plus AS 30.0GB 7200RPM ATA/100 or EIDE. If you need any more info ask or email me Cody
My drive says that it is running in MultiWord DMA Mode 2 when it should be in Ultra DMA mode 5 i have researched my drive and is also suposed to be very very quiet and it is farely loud. I have already taken the drive back and got a new one so it is not the drive that is the problem
please help!!! Thanks