Windows Support Forum

My laptop shows only the "dell" logo after an update to windows 10

Q: My laptop shows only the "dell" logo after an update to windows 10

Hi guys..i downloaded and the windows 10 update from my inspiron 15 5000series and then when it started installing it, it restarted itself and many times and then it only shows the "dell" logo for a couple of hours so i pressed the power botton for a long time till it turned off (i know i shouldn't but i did it) and then i pressed it again to turn it on but it only keeps showing the dell logo for ever.
Please help me, idk what to do

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19992732
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: My laptop shows only the "dell" logo after an update to windows 10

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 102.34%

Hello!

Does anyone know how to enable details of registry updates after a Windows 7 update reboot?

On one computer, the registry updates are shown under the Windows boot logo like "Applying update XXXXX of YYYYY" followed by the registry key. On another nothing is shown...

I cannot figure out if this is a BIOS setting or something set in Windows.

Thanks,
S?ren

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/387355-enable-applying-update-under-windows-boot-logo-after-updates.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi all Sorry to repeat a question I see a lot of instances of but none of those seem to be addressing my problem correctly I have not done anything new to my computer in recent days so this problem has caught me off guard I see most instances of this problem come after upgrading to Windows I have had Win installed for a while now Here is a summary of my problem My computer recently got stuck on the quot Starting Windows Screen quot So I manually held the power button to reboot On reboot it said there was a need to run a startup repair which I did Everything checked fine except for the Corrupted" Windows", is on Repair "Starting Stuck Shows Disk Volume "System on last one which said quot System Volume on Disk is Corrupted quot which it claimed to have successfully fixed After rebooting from repair the system gets stuck on quot Starting Windows Screen quot for a good - minutes after which it runs a registry check After it completes that I get hopeful -- but the screen then gets stuck on an all black screen with just the mouse cursor and nothing more Additional note Attempting to start the computer on quot safe mode quot leads Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" safe mode startup to become stalled Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" on quot DRIVERS CLASSPNP SYS quot The lastest attempt to repair yielded this message quot Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically Problem event Name Startup Repair Offline Problem signature uknown quot AutoFailover Corrupt Volume OS Version Locale Id In need of help not sure where to start Thanks nbsp

A:Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted"

Hi Stan, Hopefully I can help you out....or at least lead you in the right direction. From my experience, the symptoms you are suggesting sound like perhaps a dying Hard drive.

1. Do you have the windows 7 boot disks that came with your computer or when you bought the Operating System? If so, you could try and insert one of those and boot from it, and attempt to repair the installation. (this won't affect your data, only the windows system files).

2. If that doesn't fix it, you could try a fresh reinstall of windows 7, and see if that works.

3. If neither of those work, its likely that because of the fact that when windows is repairing itself, it is generally putting copies of its system files in the same physical location on your disk. Because your disk is obviously not completely dead, ie....its still loading to the windows 7 startup screen, its just copying files to the bad sectors on your hard drive and gets stuck when loading. This is especially my guess because you said Safe mode is having same problems, even after attempting to repair. In the past, I've tried and salvage a disk by reformatting it and only leaving on partitions which do not contain the bad clusters. This takes some time, and some guess work.....and really this is only a "bandaid" fix because once the disk has bad clusters, its only a matter of time before these things give out. You wouldn't want to trust your important data on it anyways....

I hope this leads you in the right direction.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-on-starting-windows-repair-shows-system-volume-on-disk-is-corrupted.1023059/
Relevancy 96.75%

i am fed up with this, firstly i installed win 10 , getting same error so i shifted to win 8.1 now again same issue, that is really sad, why you create laptops when you cant upload proper drivers, laptop is useless without drivers and my laptop have 4gg graphics card also but its *** as all game etc use local hd driver instead of my card and i get o performance in running any game.

please help me with drivers i am fed up with this.

A:"the update installer operation is unsuccessful" getting error on each driver installation on my new laptop dell 5558 black one window 8.1 pro 64 bit.

Hi,
Thank you for writing to us!

What driver are you trying to install in particular and what hardware IDs do you have?
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/checking-hardware-ids-in-the-device-manager/
Also the size of the downloaded driver, in case its an incomplete download. 
Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.
Thanks
Robin

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19663683
Relevancy 95.89%

when i open Partition Magic 8 i see my Maxtor 6Y120P0 drive in a yellow color and the file system marked as "other":

but my Windows 2000 Disk Management shows healty:
under windows i can read and write to the partition, so what is wrong? what does Partition Magic wants?

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

A:partition magic shows partition type as "other", windows shows "healthy"

Quote from Symantec:
There are currently no versions of PartitionMagic that support Windows® 2000 dynamic drives.Click to expand...
moper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-shows-partition-type-as-other-windows-shows-healthy.399582/
Relevancy 95.46%

Windows continually fails to update this module:
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664) -I have retried over and over, it continues to fail.
Error in windows update is:
Error: "WindowsUpdate_00003701" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"
So far there has been no solution provided.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b49b8eaa-3101-4ce8-815a-1f1ebf05bce5/windows-update-fails-installing-update-for-windows-7-for-x64based-systems-kb2952664-with-error?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 92.88%

i have read your reply here for same question so i want to know if u can help me too http en community dell com support-forums laptop f t aspx Srvice Tag No lt Admin Note removed per privacy policy RK gt DELL INSPIRON N I am owner of my Dell INSPIRON N but i m not from USA my computer hanged so my friend just restored its BIOS setting i am not sure if these are called BIOS but it happened as he restarted Laptop pressed F and there he restored settings nbsp then when it restarted there appeared a black screen in middle of which there is a blue box saying quot Insert system password quot nbsp Now i tried looking over internet all over the place nbsp I found out a few reasonable solutions nbsp - remove a battery with motherboard but for that you need an expert for which my laptop might have to opened which i prefer not to get opened nbsp - second provide your service tag S N on dellpasswords com but that asks for which i think is just too much nbsp Now I want if the second one can be done for reset password" Setting! system "insert BIOS a Dell shows my i need N5010 help? My when free or anyother viable solution nbsp thank you

A:My Dell N5010 shows a "insert system password" when i reset my BIOS Setting! need help?

Hi,
Please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name and the exact message you get with the code via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). I will try and check if a master password can be generated for this to help you reset the password.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19579187
Relevancy 92.45%

Need the aforementioned drivers.  I have installed virtually every driver available in the Driver download page inc Control Vault and cannot get the two driver mentioned.

Any help would be appriciated 

A:Need drivers for Dell Latitude E6520 "Broadcom USH" & "Mass Storage Controller" Windows 7 64 Bit

Check under Security for the Broadcom Unified Security Hub (USH - probably a print/biometric reader) for the device that best matches your hardware:
www.dell.com/.../latitude-e6520
The other "mass storage controller" ... go to Device Manager, right-click the device in question, Properties, Details tab, change dropdown to Hardware Ids and give me the the VEN and DEV ID's (do the same for the above USH device if the driver linked does not work).  

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19487460
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi Guys, any ideas how to access my external hard drive [TOSHIBA MK3029GACE] device manager can see it but it does not appear in disc management.

I use this HDD perfectly in my car HDD player. But when I try to connect it to my Laptop, it does not show up in disk management.

Please check the attached screen shot..

Thanks for the help....

A:HDD shows in "Device Manager" but not in "DiskPart"or" Disk Management

Specs show that drive has a ATA-6 interface (P-ATA, or IDE). How are you connecting this drive to your laptop? Does the laptop have a PATA or SATA connection? Does it use an adapter?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347111-hdd-shows-device-manager-but-not-diskpart-disk-management.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Can anybody help me with this. I thought I solved the problem switching to a local account after first occurrence of this after a lone update a few days ago. It has done it again with local account. Please help me fix!

TIA Mark

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/45374-laptop-starting-limited-account-after-last-update-windows-update.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I recently came across a quot corrupted quot laptop love how people call things to do with computers corrupted when they can't figure out how to fix it to fix it's a Dell Latitude after load won't Desktop dell on [SOLVED] "windows event laptop activated" be must D with windows xp home installed When i got it booting up to windows would result in blue screen error after windows xp loading screen of the time in normal mode and would hang on mup sys [SOLVED] Desktop won't load on dell laptop after "windows must be activated" event in safe mode left it booting into safemode for about - hours while i slept at mup sys and never loaded past it I decided to do a repair install got through it all perfectly fine entered the product key from the sticker on the bottom worked fine Booted up again got past the xp screen to login screen and got the message quot this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on quot can choose quot Ok quot or quot Close quot i believe basically yes or no reguardless of what i click it loads into windows to the desktop and does not load anything else ctrl alt del doesn't bring up taskmanager in safemode everything works how it should msconfig running processes are all normal nothing out of the ordinary as well as in services closed everything except critical processes services made a new user as well and logged into that account get the same activation message and loads to desktop with no icons and still no ctrl alt del start menu icons any keyboard shortcut however windows security center popped up on new account saying there was no anti-virus woohoo big breakthru there anyways i can't get anything to fix this i even tried a nd xp repair install and recieved same results i tried last known good config same results i cannot use system restore as it is nowhere to be found on the computer but i've never had any luck with it anyways especially with problems that would previously have rendered the computer paperweight This laptop is years old has a ghz intel core duo with g ram installed the previous owner had some experience with computers and DID get a virus that they got rid of however i still found traces of it when i logged in using hirens boot cd and ran a couple antivirus spyware programs and according to them the virus was the cause of the bluescreen however i have no clue what could be the cause of the activation problem having to reactivate windows wasn't really a surprise so i don't see it as a problem the problem is explorer not loading as well as taskmanager not working nor anything else for that matter AFTER the message If anyone has any idea what could be wrong or anything i could try lemme know keeping the users files in tact is a must i can just burn them to some disks using the mini-windows-xp-cd from hirens boot cd but they have over gb of user data i need to save including pics docs music vids and a bunch of other crap

A:[SOLVED] Desktop won't load on dell laptop after "windows must be activated" event

should also include that after repair install loading back into windows after 3rd reboot when it's finished it would get to the windows xp loading screen and hang there without ever loading windows, but once i shutdown and turned it back on it would load fine. (fine meaning it would get to the login screen and just not work anymore)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-desktop-wont-load-on-dell-laptop-after-and-quot-windows-must-be-activated-and-quot-event-438691.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hi, I am new to this forum and not a computer expert. My 6-month old Dell Inspiron laptop is currently stuck on the Welcome screen (with spinning icon). When turned on, it brings me to my sign in screen, I enter my password and then it goes to the Welcome screen and just stays there and the little icon keeps spinning. I tried holding down the power button to force it to turn off, then turning it back on but the same thing happens. It has been sitting, "spinning/stuck" for over an hour now.

Any suggestions on what to do? Thank you!

A:Dell Inspiron Laptop Windows 7 Home Premium Stuck on "Welcome" Screen

Hi aphelocoma,

Please try the following steps to see if they help:

Try to run 'hardware diagnostics' to check 'hardware functionality':
- Power off the laptop > Power it back on; at Dell splash screen repeatedly tap 'F12' > Use 'arrow keys' on the keyboard to highlight 'Diagnostics' and tap 'Enter' > Capture 'error message' if any.
You may refer to the following 'web article' for detailed steps: Run Built-In Diagnostics for Your System

If you still experience issues, try to 'Load BIOS defaults' to see if that works:
- Power off the laptop > Power it back on and at 'Dell splash screen' repeatedly tap 'F2 key' > Tap 'F9' to 'load BIOS defaults' > Tap 'F10' to 'Save and Exit'
Note: Also check the 'hard drive status' in the 'BIOS' (Check if detected)

Please share the exact system model, if no conclusive results show up.

Do reply with the findings; would be glad to assist.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/282894-dell-inspiron-laptop-windows-7-home-premium-stuck-welcome-screen.html
Relevancy 90.3%

When trying to update with Windows update i get a spontaneous reboot or a bluescreen-crash The filename quot lzx sys quot is mentioned The updates i'm trying to install are the following roughly translated from norwegian quot Update for Windows Media Format SDK for Windows XP KB quot quot Windows Tool for removal of dangerous software - march KB quot Other than that i believe i have all other "Exploit/ByteVerify" reboots/bluescreens - spontaneous Update Windows - "lzx32.sys" windows-updates I do however recall there beeing a third update on Windows Update - spontaneous reboots/bluescreens "lzx32.sys" - "Exploit/ByteVerify" the list Windows Update - spontaneous reboots/bluescreens "lzx32.sys" - "Exploit/ByteVerify" when i started the installation for the first time After the third or forth spontanous restart Windows Update - spontaneous reboots/bluescreens "lzx32.sys" - "Exploit/ByteVerify" bluscreen when i figured something was wrong it has disappeared from the list I do not know if it actually got installed or not I've been following the -steps-before-posting as good as possible From my normal startup programs msn-messenger and daemon-tools were shutted down before the dss-scan Here are the three logs panda-activescan dss-main and dss-extra attached PS note that the quot extra txt quot is from the first scan which was done abit earlier than my last scan where the pasted quot main txt quot is from This is because i was unable to get a fresh quot extra txt quot from the last scan no minimized window at all OK here we go now Incident Status Location Adware adware abox Not disinfected Windows Registry Dialer dialer asl Not disinfected HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Ext Stats D A -E C - E F-A - D AC A Adware adware azesearch Not disinfected Windows Registry Adware adware adshooter Not disinfected Windows Registry Adware adware fastvideoplayer Not disinfected Windows Registry Adware adware wupd Not disinfected Windows Registry Adware adware ist sidefind Not disinfected Windows Registry Dialer dialer dk Not disinfected HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Ext Stats D - F - C-B E -DEBDD C Adware adware ist istbar Not disinfected Windows Registry Adware adware dyfuca Not disinfected Windows Registry Potentially unwanted tool Application ServUBased A Not disinfected C Burn-Backup kl - Burn Stuff Progz - Inet Serv-U fo-su zip fo-su exe SERVUDAEMON EXE Spyware Cookie BurstNet Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Claw Programdata Mozilla Firefox Profiles hfevyay default cookies txt burstnet com Spyware Cookie Xiti Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Claw Programdata Mozilla Firefox Profiles hfevyay default cookies txt xiti com Spyware Cookie YieldManager Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Claw Programdata Mozilla Firefox Profiles hfevyay default cookies txt ad yieldmanager com Hacktool Exploit ByteVerify Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Claw Programdata Sun Java Deployment cache javapi v jar java jar- f c - ee e f zip NewSecurityClassLoader class Hacktool Exploit ByteVerify Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Claw Programdata Sun Java Deployment cache javapi v jar java jar- f c - ee e f zip NewURLClassLoader class Hacktool Exploit ByteVerify Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Claw Programdata Sun Java Deployment cache javapi v jar loaderadv jar- b- efe zip Matrix class Hacktool Exploit ByteVerify Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Claw Programdata Sun Java Deployment cache javapi v jar loaderadv jar- b- efe zip Dummy class Adware Adware Give free Not disinfected C Programfiler Give Free Plugin ibho dll Deckard's System Scanner v Run by Claw on - - at Computer is in Normal Mode -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- HijackThis run as Claw exe ----------------------------------------------- Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at... Read more

A:Windows Update - spontaneous reboots/bluescreens "lzx32.sys" - "Exploit/ByteVerify"

BUMP

In addition I've done some work myself (Rustbfix.exe, SpywareGuard, SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition, AVG Anti-Spyware), and it seems to be cleaner than it was (i.e. Windows Update works).

It would be nice anyways to get the facts straight, so here's a fresh log from Deckards System Scanner:

Deckard's System Scanner v20070318.32
Run by Claw_ on 2007-03-22 at 14:16:44
Computer is in Normal Mode.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- HijackThis (run as Claw_.exe) -----------------------------------------------

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 14:17:16, on 22.03.2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Programfiler\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Programfiler\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Programfiler\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Programfiler\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Programfiler\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Programfiler\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
C:\Programfiler\WZCBDL Service\WZCBDLS.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Programfiler\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
C:\Programfiler\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe
C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Programfiler\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Programfiler\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Programfiler\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Programfiler\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe
C:\Programfiler\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\Programfiler\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Programfiler\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Programfiler\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Programfiler\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Programfiler\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\Programfiler\Winamp\winamp.exe
C:\Programfiler\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Claw_\Skrivebord\Security-stuff\dss.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HIJACK~1\Claw_.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.no/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1A0AADCD-3A72-4b5f-900F-E3BB5A838E2A} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {208E7E77-507A-4649-B0C9-D39E9049C7A2} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Programfiler\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Programfiler\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Programfiler\Fellesfiler\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-update-spontaneous-reboots-bluescreens-lzx32-sys-exploit-byteverify-145850.html
Relevancy 89.87%

Hey Everyone my Dell Inspiron 15 failed to upload an update, and then rebooted. 
Then it got stuck on the "Dell" screen and wont boot up Windows 8. I can get into the Bios, but nothing seems to help, and the Diagnostic test says that it cannot find the Hard Drive. 

Any help?

Peter Hamm

A:(Redirected) Dell Inspiron stuck on "Dell" screen after failed update...

As you have a laptop, best to post this in the Laptop Forum here:http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/default.aspxBev. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19682602
Relevancy 89.44%

So I have this weird thing happening in my relatively fresh install of Windows 10.
Whenever I search for "Check for Updates" or "Windows Update settings" on the search box of the start menu, I get the results that I want but if I press enter or try to click on those results nothing happens.. As far as I know I can click all others search results but those, and maybe others related to windows update.

I can still get updates by going to Settings>Update & Security though.

In my other computers this works fine, and as far as I can tell all the updates are done.
From what I've searched around other people seemed to have a similar issue where they couldn't acess the settings at all which isn't my case. Still I tried the sfc/ scannow that a lot of users seemed to recommend but no results.

A:Can't click on "Check for Updates" "Windows Update settings" on Start

Spanker,
.............. Still I tried the sfc/ scannow that a lot of users seemed to recommend but no results. .....................

Please clarify what did you mean by "no results".

When sfc /scannow is completed, it will give you one of the following 3 reports....................(paraphrasing)

1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupted files and repair is successful.
3. Found corrupted files but unable to repair some of them.

Which one of the above is applicable to you ?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/47108-cant-click-check-updates-windows-update-settings-start.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Dear Experts,

I have created windows image on Drive F: but delete it after some time manually due to some space prob.
But while backup shows about 40 GB only few GB space got free after deletion. When i try to again take the the backup using windows 7 backup & restore option, its still shows 35 Gb of System Image in drive F: when i brows the Manage Disc Space option but i cant find it on the same drive. (Plz see attached pic)
Plz help me to locate this and delete the same.

Thanks

A:Cant find "System Image" of 36 GB but its shows on "Manage Disc Space"

Hello sattyaji, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It may still be showing if the system image was created as part of a Windows backup. Using the tutorial below to reset Windows Backup should clear it for you, but you will need to set up your backup again afterwards.

Backup User and System Files - Reset to Default Configuration

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/284067-cant-find-system-image-36-gb-but-its-shows-manage-disc-space.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Someone spilled a liquid on my wife's laptop damaging the keyboard and internals. It cannot boot but I need to get the files from the HD. I bought one of those USB to laptop HD cables, removed the HD and hooked the cable to my desktop Windows 7 PC. The drive came up as "System Reserved" with only the boot sector folders visible. I hooked it to an XP PC and autoplay showed all the folders but I couldn't see them in "Computer." I tried backing everything up to a DVD but it failed for some reason. This somehow may have damaged the drive.

The drive now appears and disappears in device manager. When it's listed, it shows as working properly but no longer shows up in Computer or Disk Management.

Any chance of getting files off of the laptop HD?

A:Need to get files from dead laptop- drive shows as "System Reserved"

Well.. it may be that the drive was damaged by all the shorting out possibly going on during the accident.

But I would try to remove the USB/HD cable as those can sometimes be problematic in various ways (like power issues to drive, and drive size issues etc).

If it is a sata drive you should be able to hook it straight up to the inside of a desktop and see how it works there. (Now I better C my A here and say that if the drive has been damaged electrically, hooking it up to your desktop could have some small chance of causing more damage there...)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206383-need-get-files-dead-laptop-drive-shows-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 89.44%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 89.01%

I just removed the hdd from a laptop.(purchased SSD for the laptop.) I want to use the original hdd as storage.
I hooked it to an adapter and formatted the 1st partition, which had the OS.

I've always been successful doing this task, so I can't figure this one.

The drive,(disc 2) does not show in My Computer and when I used Easeus to format that partition, it said "failed."
When I launch HD Sentinel, it recognizes the drive as healthy and the temp,so I'm confused.

I tried to merge the partitions, also failed.

If I right click on either partition, there is no choice to make it active.

Do I have to format the complete drive?

I have backups of the music and video partition, but would like to avoid that choice if possible.
Attached Thumbnails

A:External hdd shows as "off line."I just removed this hdd from a laptop

I'm confused by the pictures. The drive is definitely showing up in Disk Manager as Drive 1, which is what it should do as the second drive.

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't see a problem other than the fact that the drive doesn't have drive letters assigned to it.

Edit: Duh! Wait! The first partition on drive 1 has to be a primary partition. Right now, both partitions are logical. That must be why they aren't being seen...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/327911-external-hdd-shows-off-line-i-just-removed-hdd-laptop.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello guys,

I don't know what I did, but nothing happens when I click on those two things in the search bar:

View image: wtf

I reinstalled Windows a few hours ago, and IIRC pressing those with the mouse lead somewhere. Now when I click on them, it does nothing. I have to type in "Settings", so I can click on the actual Windows App. Then I can navigate to those settings. IIRC those results were "clickable".

Can somebody help?

Thanks in advance!

A:Can't open "Windows Update Settings" or "Check for Updates"

Hello iamnewhere,

If you like, here's a Windows Update shortcut to use for now until hopefully an update will sort it for you.

Windows Update Shortcut - Create in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/44735-cant-open-windows-update-settings-check-updates.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I'm not sure what this is in Windows Update [and this seems to be greyed out itself too], but how is it possible to have no results in Google on this KB that's in Windows Update?

I also clicked on the "more information" for the Microsoft Knowledge Base, but nothing came up there either.

A:A "non-existent" Windows update ("KB3024777") even Google can't find

Also note that it can't be unchecked/deselected.

Edit: It seems this update removes kb3004394 and vanish without a trace (except in History).
Neither seems to be available in the uninstall list afterwards.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/355004-non-existent-windows-update-kb3024777-even-google-cant-find.html
Relevancy 88.58%

To anyone that can help me out I purchased a windows anytime upgrade key and upgraded my system from windows "WindowsUpdate_dt000" error update windows "WindowsUpdate_80073712" code home premiuim to windows ultimate now when my windows tries to update I get this See image titled quot message quot To bring you up to speed windows update error code "WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" as to what I've windows update error code "WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" done so far I ran sfc scannow and no errors were found I downloaded the hotfixes and apllied them and still could not update I tried to do a system restore to the point before I upgraded but I could not perform one because all of my previous attempts to update windows automatically creates a system restore and all the restore points were within a hour period I installed a system update readiness tool as per quot windows help and support quot dialogue box To see the updates that did not install refer to the image titled quot update quot Really I feel like I've done my homework and I've exhausted my efforts as to how to fix this problem I'm currently going to school for computers and so I really like to apply what I learn in real world situations but this one has got me stumped I'm also attaching my checksur log I don't understand it now and it looks like a foreign language to me but as I progress through my information systems degree I hope one day I can become a techsupport forum partner Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Techstudent HERE IS MY CHECKSUR LOG Checking System Update Readiness Binary Version Package Version - - Checking Windows Servicing Packages Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs Checking Package Watchlist Checking Component Watchlist Checking Packages Checking Component Store f CSI Payload File Missing x webio dll wow microsoft-windows-webio bf ad e none c af b ed d f CSI Payload File Missing x webio dll amd microsoft-windows-webio bf ad e none b ad cd de f CSI Payload File Missing x schannel dll wow microsoft-windows-security-schannel bf ad e none aba dfa bcab f CSI Payload File Missing x schannel dll wow microsoft-windows-security-schannel bf ad e none db a bc d e f CSI Payload File Missing x schannel dll wow microsoft-windows-security-schannel bf ad e none ae aecb bfcc f CSI Payload File Missing x webio dll amd microsoft-windows-webio bf ad e none bb b f f f CSI Payload File Missing x webio dll amd microsoft-windows-webio bf ad e none bb cfaa e b e f CSI Payload File Missing x webio dll wow microsoft-windows-webio bf ad e none c b fc fc f CSI Payload File Missing x webio dll wow microsoft-windows-webio bf ad e none c b e bab e f CSI Payload File Missing x webio dll amd microsoft-windows-webio bf ad e none b ae cf b c f CSI Payload File Missing x schannel dll wow microsoft-windows-security-schannel bf ad e none a ef a a f CSI Payload File Missing x webio dll wow microsoft-windows-webio bf ad e none c f ef c c e Summary Seconds executed Found errors CSI Payload File Missing Total count

A:windows update error code "WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

Hi have you tried running a start up repair An update is not installed successfully when you try to install the update in Windows Vista and Windows 7

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-update-error-code-windowsupdate_80073712-windowsupdate_dt000-632721.html
Relevancy 88.58%

i want make a dvd disk for my compaq recovery, but it always shows "this is not a blank disk, please insert a blank dvd?". wut should i do to get a recovery dvd? (i have updated my drive, but nothing useful. i have tested my burner with nero, it works fine.)

A:"compaq Recovery Cd/dvd Creator"!!! why it always shows "this is not a blank disk"?

plz help!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-recovery-cd-dvd-creator-why-it-always-shows-this-is-not-a-blank-disk.316741/
Relevancy 88.58%

I was installing Windows 10 on one of my older laptops and like any other update it restarted itself but now it won't go past the dell logo that pops up when it turns on. I've waited as long as 30 minutes and nothing. I turned it off and on again but still nothing happens

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/441046-laptop-auto-restart-during-windows-10-update-now-screen-wont-go-past-dell-logo.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I was installing Windows 10 on one of my older laptops and like any other update it restarted itself but now it won't go past the dell logo that pops up when it turns on. I've waited as long as 30 minutes and nothing

A:Laptop auto restart during Windows 10 update and now the screen won't go past the dell logo

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question I was installing Windows 10 on one of my older laptops and like any other update it restarted itself but now it won't go past the dell logo that pops up when it turns on. I've waited as long as 30 minutes and nothing Force switching down holding the power button, then restart

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/440629-laptop-auto-restart-during-windows-10-update-now-screen-wont-go-past-dell-logo.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I'm trying under "Windows Update" to click on "check for updates" however when I do that I get message
"windows update cannot currently check for updates, because updates on this computer are controlled by your system administrator"
I am the admin on the PC however this PC points to a In-office "WSUS server" to normally get its update
Is there a work around to this that I could add to my local group policy or registry?
I have been under Group Policy Object Editor -->Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates -->
Windows Components --> Windows Update
but seen nothing that would allow to override this error
Any suggestion(s) would be most appreciated
JMurphNE

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bc0d13f2-e9cb-4001-a8e6-cfc5d80efd59/windows-update-issue-quotwindows-7quot-error-quotbecause-updates-on-this-computer-are?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 88.15%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 87.29%

windows update error "WindowsUpdate_80070BC9" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"
I am using windows 7 64 bit
I cannot install any important updates and haven't been since 8/2010

A:windows update error "WindowsUpdate_80070BC9" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

These links from Microsoft Support will help you up....
Link 1
Link 2

PLZ go through these support links and do reply if the problem is solved......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-error-windowsupdate_80070bc9-windowsupdate_dt000.983122/
Relevancy 87.29%

Please help us to troubleshoot the following problem in our Compaq NX 9000 Machine with Windows XP Professional Operating System:-

- An error shows with two options "Switch to" & "Retry" after booting the machine, which forces to press "Retry" button in the error window repeatedly and as you press this "Retry" button, "Start Menu" automatically opens and it then again asks to press "Retry" Button.

Thanks to all helping members.

Regards,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/an-error-shows-with-two-options-switch-to-retry.238755/
Relevancy 87.29%

My notebook is set to the recommended screen resolution, under display settings that allows you to change the text size indepdenent of the screen resolution, I was expecting to see 3 radio buttons (as per the windows 7 tutorial) but I can see only "Small" and "medium". I haven't played around with different screen resolutions to see if it has any effect.

I wonder if it needs some driver update or related to my screen resolution or whatever? Thanks.

A:display settings only shows "Small" & "Medium"

I really don't know, but the Nvidia driver automatically makes some adjustments, depending on what it is installed on. I suspect that they feel no one would want the large text on a small display.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/51107-display-settings-only-shows-small-medium.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi I have a Toshiba r - PT E work laptop It is running Windows x Enterprise It has one GB stick of ram which is PC Windows Windows" getting Laptop "Error or hangs at "Starting 0xC0000225" works fine with this I have obtained a GB stick of ram which is PC With just this one in Windows works fine However if I have BOTH sticks put in the BIOS recognises that there is GB installed but Windows fails to boot It gets stuck at the quot Starting Windows quot screen If I restart it asks me if I want to start windows normally or to run the Windows repair If I try that I get the message quot Laptop hangs at "Starting Windows" or getting "Error 0xC0000225" Error xc The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible quot I tried using a Windows System Restore disc but that doesnt work If I try either of the sticks in the laptop one at a time then Windows boots up fine Is this just down to the laptop not being compatible with the mixture of speeds I thought that if they were mixed it would just use the lower speed by default So confused

A:Laptop hangs at "Starting Windows" or getting "Error 0xC0000225"

Hello borito, Welcome to SevenForums!

Is this a laptop provided by a company you work for by any chance?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/331694-laptop-hangs-starting-windows-getting-error-0xc0000225.html
Relevancy 87.29%

For a couple weeks now, My laptop has been making a "pop" sound everytime on start up after the windows logo comes together it makes a faint pop sound then continues to the login screen. Everytime I muted or unmuted the speakers it would make the sound too. I changed my driver the the Windows default and it stopped but the pop won't.

Laptop Model / Manufacturer : Gateway NV53A
Sound Driver : Realtek (But changed to Windows Default)

A:Laptop speakers emit a "pop" sound after "Starting Windows"

The windows default is the culprit here.

When your system boots, drivers started one after another, the pop sound came in because the default driver is not built to especially manage your audio card.

Download the driver from the manufacturer according to your model, install it and I assure you all will be fine.

cheers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/166514-laptop-speakers-emit-pop-sound-after-starting-windows.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I've gotten this message at various points when installing certain software. No more than anyone else, I expect. The thing is I don't care that the software hasn't passed Windows' super secret test. This has never stopped me from installing software. I know Microsoft wants to protect me from myself, but I really don't think they know best. So is there a way to blanket disable this message for everything?

A:Can I disable the "software has not passed Windows Logo testing" message?

CaptainSiberia said:

I've gotten this message at various points when installing certain software. No more than anyone else, I expect. The thing is I don't care that the software hasn't passed Windows' super secret test. This has never stopped me from installing software. I know Microsoft wants to protect me from myself, but I really don't think they know best. So is there a way to blanket disable this message for everything?Click to expand...
If you're talking about the software that comes with hardware, you can turn that off in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Driver Signing by ticking "Ignore". I've never seen any other software warnings but then my software requirements are pretty conservative.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-disable-the-software-has-not-passed-windows-logo-testing-message.887985/
Relevancy 86.43%

Current situation: 2 minutes remaining in a repair installation of WinXP Home, I get an error with a large X and the words "has not passed Windows Logo testing." Below that, it says "This software will not be installed...."
If I click OK or turn off at this point, the pc reboots and restarts the setup program at 39 minutes remaining. If the CD is not in place, I get a blue screen asking for the CD.

Anyone know if this is salvageable?

Thanks, Kimmer

P.S. History: PC simply started to refuse to load desktop. Not for any ID. Not in Safe Mode. Running Recovery Console and using Chkdsk/r found and corrected errors, but didn't change the problem.

A:Solved: "has not passed Windows Logo testing" at end of XP Repair install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-has-not-passed-windows-logo-testing-at-end-of-xp-repair-install.400413/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi all I'm specifically Logon remove/change? logo "Windows 7" Screen looking for a way to change the logon screen Windows logo from its personally ugly appearence to white both Logon Screen "Windows 7" logo remove/change? examples attached I'd rather not remove the logo because I have it in my head that a plain white logo would match the quot Windows Home Premium Ultimate etc quot text at the bottom of the screen I have opened authui dll in notepad although I'm not too sure if it is possible to edit this dll with notepad I really do not want to use a resource hacker program to do it I mean I'm quite happy going into the registry to activate my own logon background and as happy editing a picture to fit nicely to my resolution Hell I go into the registry to do what most merge a downloaded reg file to do I am perfectly happy customizing Windows manually as I believe its a perfect way of being able to undo any problems that occur Excuse the length of this post and an apparent rant I really am hoping that there is an quot offline quot method of customizing the logon logo EDIT I don't mean the Boot animation I just realized it may seem so by the attached images Cheers

A:Logon Screen "Windows 7" logo remove/change?

Is this what you are looking for?

How to Change the Windows 7 Log On Screen Background

HTH.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/164953-logon-screen-windows-7-logo-remove-change.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello Last night I turned off my computer normally Windows" in "Starting CD - installation/repair Even Stuck in logo The only thing different was that it installed some updates before turning off This morning when I turned it on I noticed that it got stuck on the quot Starting Windows quot logo screen I turned it off forcing it and turned it on again and asked me if Stuck in "Starting Windows" logo - Even in installation/repair CD I wanted to start normally or repair When I clicked repair it got stuck on the loading bar thing At first the f button Stuck in "Starting Windows" logo - Even in installation/repair CD wouldn't work but after a few tries it did and I can't get in safe mode either it gets stuck I gave up and since the computer is pretty much new so I don't have much installed on it I decided to just reformat it but even in the disk it gets stuck I downloaded a repair disc and it is stuck in the loading bar with the Microsoft Corportation below EDIT So I noticed when opening it up that the mobo has a red light located in the front panel header thing next to it it says LED R I'm not completely sure what it means but with my luck it probably died on me Should i post this in the mobo's section It was probably the updates so if I could somehow get it to unistall last night's updates and maybe preventing it from updating again since I'm freaked out it will get fixed maybe The question is how System specs System Manufacturer Model Number Built it myself OS Windows CPU intel quad core ghz Motherboard xfx i sli nforce Memory gb corsair gaming memory Graphics Card s pny nvidia geforce gts Sound Card on board sound Monitor s Displays vizio plasma tv Hard Drive gb WD HDD PSU watt Corsair Case CM Cooling Thermaltake V Thanx in advance

A:Stuck in "Starting Windows" logo - Even in installation/repair CD

Lot's of issues with this mobo: http://www.google.com/search?q=LED1+...ient=firefox-a

Go into the BIOS and reset the board to default values.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/stuck-in-starting-windows-logo-even-in-installation-repair-cd-489239.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I need help and suggestions on what to do with this black screen crisis Mine is a little different that others so sorry if this is a repeated thread ive looked everywhere and no one has the issue when 7 Y560 windows in up logo" after Ideapad boot "black Lenovo screen they have dual boot laptop description I have dual boot on my laptop with windows ultimate bit and windows home premium bit the home premium came pre installed on the laptop and the ultimate version i installed later dual boot i needed some capabilities that home premium doesn't have Problem I cannot see anything on my screen after windows logo while booting up my laptop bcz of the black screen after the windows logo When i boot into WINDOWS HOME PREMIUM i hear windows logon screen notification noise but see nothing oddly Lenovo Ideapad Y560 "black screen in boot up after windows 7 logo" enough even my built in webcam logs me in with VeriFace software with my face passwordless ALSO my laptop boots fine with windows ultimate and i can see everything and it works great i need the other version to WORK cause my life is in that other version of windows i cannot factory restore What i have tried the keyboard is also unresponsive bcz i held down a bunch of keys to see if it makes the beep noise I closed the laptop lid to see if it goes into hibernation and waited mins to see if it still does so that when i open it i can see everything it has worked before nothing i rebooted a bunch of times even with a second screen attached tried to guess switch into projector mode with my function key and switch screen projector button i have also done a power cycle i think the registry is screwed or maybe the graphics card drivers are ruined have not done a registry repair through the other windows version doing that next i have defragged both partitions for both of the windows versions through the one that works What may have caused it the last time i used home premium i rebooted so that i can use the ultimate version for the extra capabilities i was not watching and it booted up in home premium and the built in cam is so fast that i merely looked at the laptop and it logged me in i was being unpatient bcz you have to wait for the lenovo programs to load before you can restart so i forced shut down very bad idea by holding the power button and booted up in ultimate finally while watching This is first time i've done this mistake which has now left my laptop half usable now i want to use the home premium version but this black screen is happening after the windows logo

A:Lenovo Ideapad Y560 "black screen in boot up after windows 7 logo"

Sounds like a corrupted file system, so try running chkdsk.

How to run System File Checker (SFC) or chkdsk from the Recovery ConsoleBoot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C and click Next
At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
Run SFC or chkdskIf you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)
For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above).

Let either run to completion undisturbed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/254706-lenovo-ideapad-y560-black-screen-boot-up-after-windows-7-logo.html
Relevancy 86%

Hi,

My HP DV7 laptop is frozen at startup on the "Starting Windows" logo screen (i.e. the black screen with the MS logo).

Earlier today, the laptop froze and the screen turned black, I force shutdown the laptop and when I tried to restart it, the laptop is stuck at startup.

It seems that I can successfully startup if I start laptop in Safe Mode, but that seems to be the only way.

I have tried searching online and resetting BIOS to default with no luck.

I'm currently using an older laptop.

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-dv7-frozen-at-the-starting-windows-logo-at-startup.1155305/
Relevancy 86%

Hi,

My 3 years old HP DV7 laptop is frozen at startup on the "Starting Windows" logo screen (i.e. the black screen with the MS logo).

Earlier today, the laptop froze and the screen turned black, I force shutdown the laptop and when I tried to restart it, the laptop is stuck at startup. This is the first time that this has happened.

It seems that I can successfully startup if I start laptop in Safe Mode, but that seems to be the only way.

I ran "System Recovery Options" from Startup Repair and got message that it can not be fixed automatically.
I have tried searching online and resetting BIOS to default with no luck.

I'm currently using an older laptop to write this.

Sorry for the length of the description, if you are confused at all by the wording please don't hesitate to ask me for further description.

Any help is appreciated!

A:HP DV7 frozen at the "Starting Windows" logo at startup

in your system recovery options, do you have one for system restore? if so, try restoring to a previously saved restore point prior to the problem. you can also do this in safemode.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hp-dv7-frozen-at-the-starting-windows-logo-at-startup-1040873.html
Relevancy 86%

Yesterday night my laptop installed an update and I remember it prompting me to restart my Starting" resumes at normally? Logo, "Windows Freezes then computer Instead Freezes at "Windows Starting" Logo, then resumes normally? I chose the option to postpone the update I erred when I forgot to restart my computer before going to sleep and instead had put it into sleep mode Upon resuming windows my screen was black and there was an error which I failed to note but it Freezes at "Windows Starting" Logo, then resumes normally? was something about quot logging in quot I tried force-powering off my laptop and upon reaching the quot Windows Starting quot I notice that the logo freezes The computer appears unresponsive but after a couple of minutes I am taken to my account log-in screen I read somewhere that this might be the result of a corrupt C file Will a system restore fix the problem On the system restore there is a timestamp for quot Windows Update quot of type quot Critical quot that was installed around the time I postponed the restart Is there a way I can scan my computer for corrupted files

A:Freezes at "Windows Starting" Logo, then resumes normally?

Yes, there is a way.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/264757-freezes-windows-starting-logo-then-resumes-normally.html
Relevancy 86%

I want to view Netflix "view now" videos online with an external monitor. What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

A:Adding a 22" Dell External Monitor to 15" Dell M70 Laptop

Get a 22" Dell monitor and connect it to the vga port on your laptop. There is an Fn + (some other key) that will enable the external monitor. You can press the Fn+(some other key) combination so that either the laptop display is used, the external display is used or have it set so both are used for the display. Typically the combination is the Fn key plus one of the F keys at the top of you keyboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-22-dell-external-monitor-to-15-dell-m70-laptop.790888/
Relevancy 85.14%

My Issue I had just finished playing some LoL League of Legends and I was listening to Pandora when all of a sudden my monitor went black as if it went into standby mode Pandora was still playing but keyboard commands didn't seem to work i e I could not ALT F pandora - however I was unable to confirm this I then hard-reset my computer Upon reboot things seemed to work just fine for about minutes Then the monitor went black again After another forced hard-reset upon showing the Windows Logo the screen just goes black If I boot up and go into my bios I can see all of the configurations just fine and the screen does not go black I was able to from Logo Signal" Monitor After Windows "No start once in Safe Mode and the screen did not go black Any ideas If it's hardware related please help me understand what diagonostic steps I can take to identify the issue e g HDD vs GPU vs CPU etc My computer OS Windows Mobo ASUS P Z -V LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA GB s USE ATX Intel Motherboard CPU Intel Core i - Sandy Bridge GHz LGA W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX I HDD "No Signal" from Monitor After Windows Logo SAMSUNG Spinpoint F HD SJ TB RPM SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Optical Drive ASUS DRW- B ST BLK B AS Black SATA X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM Ram CORSAIR GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR Desktop Memory Model CMV GX M A C Power Antec EarthWatts Green EA- D Green W Continuous power ATX V v EPS V PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power

A:"No Signal" from Monitor After Windows Logo

your psu is well under powered for the system how much depends on your video card which you failed to list

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/no-signal-from-monitor-after-windows-logo-603726.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Can anyone help me out here I have pc s running windows and both of them wont update windows not Windows "WindowsUpdate_80200053" will update "WindowsUpdate_dt000" I am also having a few problems instaling other things Like avg malwarebytes microsoft windows malicious software removal virus When i Windows will not update "WindowsUpdate_80200053" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" download them it always comes back as the file is corrupt I have managed to download HijackThis exe and here are the results below Any help would be appreciated Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Norton Windows will not update "WindowsUpdate_80200053" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files x Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAAnotif exe C Program Files x DeviceVM Browser Configuration Utility BCU exe C Program Files x NEC Electronics USB Host Controller Driver Application nusb mon exe C Program Files x Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Users Obrien Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook SearchHook Class - BC E AB-EDA - - F-CE B C F A - C Program Files x DeviceVM Browser Configuration Utility AddressBarSearch dll F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO Norton Identity Protection - ADB E- AFF- - AA - DAC DFA - C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine coIEPlg dll O - BHO Norton Vulnerability Protection - D EC - AAE- -AEEE-F F C - C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine IPS IPSBHO DLL O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - E Program Files x Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Searchqu Toolbar - a - f- bd -be - acaa a - C PROGRA SEARCH Datamngr ToolBar searchqudtx dll file missing O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar Norton Toolbar - FEBEFE - B - - D -FFB D B CA - C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine coIEPlg dll O - Toolbar Searchqu Toolbar - a - f- bd -be - acaa a - C PROGRA SEARCH Datamngr ToolBar searchqudtx dll file missing O - HKLM Run BCU quot C Program Files x DeviceVM Browser Configuration Utility BCU exe quot O - HKLM Run JMB X IDE Setup C Windows RaidTool xInsIDE exe O - HKLM Run NUSB MON quot C Program Files x NEC Electronics USB Host Controller Driver Appl... Read more

A:Windows will not update "WindowsUpdate_80200053" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-will-not-update-windowsupdate_80200053-windowsupdate_dt000.1073271/
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi All Thanks in advance for any help I purchased and installed an Iomega NAS yesterday I have three machines that run Windows - Ulitmate bit amp bit - Professional bit and a Windows xp machine I am having trouble getting the Windows Professional bit machine to show the NAS as a computer under the network folder It will show the NAS as a Media Device and Other device I can access the device as a and "Other as Server" NAS shows "Media Device" media device but when I click other device it opens a IE browser and errors out I have not NAS shows as "Media Server" and "Other Device" been NAS shows as "Media Server" and "Other Device" able to map the device in windows explorer either This NAS has a print server built in and it will not show the printer either My other two Windows Ultimate amp bit Desktop-Windows amp HTPC machines work just fine and the NAS shows under the computer and media device and does not show as other device The printer pluged in the NAS works like a charm The primary computer that I need to work is the windows professional version LPC-PC thats not working I posted a screen shot of what I am looking at from the computer that does not work and one of the machines that is working As a side note LPC-PC is my laptop and it is the machine that is not working Desktop-Windows and HTPC are the two machines that it is working just fine on I am able to connect to LPC-PC from Desktop-Windows however I can not connect to Desktop-Windows from LPC-PC When I first started messing with LPC-PC it was not even showing period in the network folder I had to start some services and change them to automatic so that my network discovery would stay turned on when I clicked save Thanks again for any help

A:NAS shows as "Media Server" and "Other Device"

Well I solved my own problem and feel a little silly. I just happened to check my msconfig.exe and I had it set to selective startup with the first option for services unchecked.

Everything is now up and running. My NAS is showing and I can connect to all my computers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/237447-nas-shows-media-server-other-device.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Good Evening All,

I having a problem with my Dell Latitude D610.

I went to update the BIOS and it said that the battery is not installed despite the laptop running solely off of battery power!

I have ran the dell device diagnostic and device manager and no issue appears to be with the battery. When you check the battery info in the BIOS settings it says the batteries are not installed and also when you log into XP it constantly says running off of AC power even when its not plugged in!

Any one got any ideas what could be causing this and how it can be solved?

Thanks Nick

A:Dell Latitude "battery not installed" preventing BIOS update

It may be referring to the CMOS battery which is wired to the computer beneath the keyboard. The battery can be replaced for $8.95 to $29.95 depending on where you purchase...

But regardless, you do have a problem that must be resolved. The D610 has been one strange little irrelevant problem after another... but you cannot afford to irritate it and have that mysterious unremovable password appear as it has on so many D610 and D620 Dells.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-battery-not-installed-preventing-bios-update.135990/
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a one month old Inspiron Intel i GB Ram TB HDD nbsp nbsp Last week I received a message nbsp from Dell Assistant saying that an update needs to be installed nbsp nbsp After installing it nbsp I got a dark screen with white text stating quot No Boot Device Found - Press any Key to reboot quot nbsp Every reboot I got the same message nbsp Fortunately I was able to phone call for support nbsp me Assistant an Device "No update. Found" after Boot sent Dell I am not a techie so It s not clear to me what was going on but the agent had me push F key on reboot and do some diagnostics and make a change nbsp to something nbsp about the BIOS nbsp Then nbsp I was able to use the laptop again nbsp I asked the agent why this happened and she said "No Boot Device Found" after Dell Assistant sent me an update. something about Legacy BIOS not being recognized nbsp I didn t understand and asked again why Dell sent me a message to update a one month old laptop and then because of that update the "No Boot Device Found" after Dell Assistant sent me an update. laptop could not find the Boot Device nbsp She did not have an answer nbsp Now I m not sure if I should allow future updates from Dell nbsp onto my laptop nbsp Can anyone give me a non-techie nbsp explanation of what happened nbsp nbsp

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19989001
Relevancy 84.71%

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I can't think of anywhere start, Windows "Starting on hangs won't 7 Windows" logo no screen, else This is going to be long but hopefully all the information will help Last week I attempted to recover Windows 7 won't start, hangs on "Starting Windows" screen, no logo my Western Digital My Book Essential TB this is the second time recovering it but I'll figure that out once I deal with this problem using Stella Phoenix Data Recovery I formatted the My Book no problem and let the Recovery wizard run It was running for a good or days up until now Since it was taking to long I just let it run and check on it when I get home Today I come home and I see the My Book idling so I know my computer blue screened or it restarted somehow I turn the monitor back on and I'm greeted with the American Megatrends screen It lists all my hardware and everything seems fine It says to press Del to resume so I do and that gets me to the BIOS page I hit Exit to save changes and expect Windows to start but nope the computer restarted Bewildered I went through the same American Megatrends page and the BIOS page three times with the same result I tried changing my boot drive to my SSD then my secondary hard drive also had Windows installed then my DVD drive Nothing worked I called a friend and helped trouble shoot asked me to reset my BIOS couldn't find that setting asked me to remove the SSD to see if that was the problem and it still didn't work Then I noticed a message at the bottom of the American Megatrends page th Master Hard Disk S M A R T Status BAD Backup and Replace He googled that for a bit and told me to go disable the S M A R T setting wherever I could find it in the BIOS I did that with the SSD removed and I was able to select the Windows that was installed on my hard drive Samsung F TB But it would hang on the quot Starting Windows quot page with no hint of the Windows logo loading My friend told me to plug the SSD back in and try booting again This time I selected the Windows version installed on my SSD but again it hung on the quot Starting Windows quot page with no Windows logo I restarted the computer manually shut it down using the power button to see if it would work This time when I selected the Windows installed on my SSD it allowed me to select Launch Repair which I did It got past quot Windows is loading files quot and then hung again on the quot Starting Windows quot screen I figured it needed some time so I left it and went to play Zynga Poker Half an hour later it was still on that screen I tried popping in the original Windows CD and tried booting from the disk It got to quot Windows is loading files quot and hung there for two hours I restarted it again and am waiting on it and am waiting for it to boot from the disk again but does anyone have any guidance I'm so sorry for the long story but I figured I might as well include all the details to let you know what I've tried This may or may not be important but before this crash when it was still helping me recover the My Book I would move the mouse a few times and try to open some random programs MSi Afterburner Microsoft Word to let the CPU work a little but they never opened Task Manager also froze for days on me and even when I opened a second Task Manager I could not end the first Task Manager Any help would be greatly appreciated I'll try to answer any questions the best I can

A:Windows 7 won't start, hangs on "Starting Windows" screen, no logo

Update: Last night, I think the Startup Repair option finally worked but I wasn't watching the whole time. It asked me to recover so I said yes. When I returned 15 minutes later, it was at the login screen so I punched in my password and got to the desktop. However, Windows said it needed to restart for some changes to take place. I hit okay, and when it restarted, it hung on the "Starting Windows" with no logo again. I will try again today, but does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/256644-windows-7-wont-start-hangs-starting-windows-screen-no-logo.html
Relevancy 84.28%

EDIT Rewritten 10, is Latest Meters" Dell Audio (Windows button. XPS Version Dell "Show 8700) of missing for clarity On nbsp Realtek ALC Audio Driver ver nbsp A Latest Version of Dell Audio is missing "Show Meters" button. (Windows 10, Dell XPS 8700) for Windows there is no longer a button labeled quot Show Meters quot under Speakers Headphones gt Maxx Audio Pro in the bottom right corner please see attached screenshot This button in previous versions of the driver for Windows opened a new window with sliders to balance front and back speakers in a surround sound setup What I did Updated my OS from to and updated the Realtek audio drivers accordingly - to the above mentioned version What I expected The quot Show Meters quot button would be present in the newest Realtek driver What really happened Upon upgrade to the newest driver the quot Show Meters quot button disappeared I have reinstalled the newest driver multiple times with no avail and tried the driver from Windows and the default driver from Realtek with worse affects Dell Audio window is missing most elements drop down options etc If anyone would know how to address the issue if this is intentional or who to escalate this to I would appreciate it

A:Latest Version of Dell Audio is missing "Show Meters" button. (Windows 10, Dell XPS 8700)

I feel that I should be more observant. In Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Select the Realtek device > Properties > Levels there are the exact changes I need. I don't know why I didn't notice until now. Could explain why there was no "Show Meters" button in this release but I thought Windows 7 also had the same leveling and there was the leveling in Dell Audio as well.
I'm still going with a new sound card from Creative however, seen a super nice $70 one that looks awesome and seems to have features to match.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19665447
Relevancy 84.28%

I am opening "My Computer" shortcut from the desktop, in the taskbar, the pinned "shows desktop" is getting highlighted. I restarted and stuff, still the same. Does anyone know why?

A:When I click Windows Explorer, it shows on "show desktop" shortcut

Hello, in the right side of the Win7 taskbar is a built-in show desktop shortcut. Just wondering why you have a pinned one?
Attachment 154719
Delete the pinned show desktop shortcut. Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/163428-when-i-click-windows-explorer-shows-show-desktop-shortcut.html
Relevancy 84.28%

This problem has recently arisen - probably after an update. I have searched the Web and there seems to be a lot of folks with the same problem. None of their suggestions have worked. I have no pending updates. I have no failed updates ( did have an old failed update for microsoft essentials but have since uninstalled the program). If I reboot, system boots normally and the start menu button shows normal. After a while (few minutes) it reverts to 'Shut Down'. I have tried booting in safe mode but that doesn't solve the problem either. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

A:Windows 7: start menu button shows "shutdown"

Hello sndflea,

Double check using the tutorial below to see if the Start menu power button is set to what you wanted, and if it sticks after changing.

Power Button - Start Menu

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/392614-windows-7-start-menu-button-shows-shutdown.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Dear all When installing the windows yeasterday I came across an interesting thing i'll try to be brief At a step where you choose the drive to install the Windows to and format it when needed I saw quot system quot as they were called there partitions drives One is my SSD which is where I would install win The second Windows Help "system" 7. 2 install shows to partitions/drives PC one is just a regular HDD which PC shows 2 "system" partitions/drives to install Windows 7. Help by PC shows 2 "system" partitions/drives to install Windows 7. Help no means could appear as quot system quot drive Well I thought Ok nvm let me install just like I wanted - on my SSD and forget about this thing So i did after formatting the SSD Everything went totally fine with the system install drivers etc EXCEPT It doesn't boot from SSD ALTHOUGH I did go to BIOS and changed the priority And even after that he kind a misses ssd I really can feel the difference in the speed of system loading And in Disk utility it shows primary disks One of them as said above is my HDD I didnt do PC shows 2 "system" partitions/drives to install Windows 7. Help anything to the HDD What is wrong I really would appreciate the help

A:PC shows 2 "system" partitions/drives to install Windows 7. Help

What is wrong is that you had 2 hard drives connected when you installed Windows.

Bad idea.

Windows put your boot files on the HDD, not on the SSD.

How do you solve it?

Disconnect the HDD and do it over.

There are other ways to correct the problem, but that's what I'd do unless I had already spent a lot of time configuring and installing applications.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/371253-pc-shows-2-system-partitions-drives-install-windows-7-help.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi Since my free upgrade to Windows I see the message quot Working on it quot whenever I try to open My Computer File Explorer It stays this way for a few minutes and doesn't show the drives during this period If try to click anywhere or close the window then the window switches to quot Not Responding quot Other problems that I am seeing seem to be related or not are Right-click menu takes a LONG time to appear when clicked on an icon The quot Open File quot and quot Save As quot menu from inside any program also takes a LONG time to open just like File Explorer If I do try to click or try to close it 10 shows upgrade Windows File "Working it..." Explorer after on I again see the quot Not Responding quot message I've been try to get rid of this problem since the upgrade but no luck yet Would anyone have a fix File Explorer shows "Working on it..." after Windows 10 upgrade for it See attached images for details Faced the issue related to the quot Open quot option when browsed the PC to add these images Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/61682-file-explorer-shows-working-after-windows-10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I decided to upgrade my PC from Win to Win before the free upgrade time expires It has been a bit of a nightmare After the upgrade only Win10 "Windows IP ipconfig Configuration" upgrade to shows after completed I have no Internet Access I know the hardware is good because when I revert back to my image of Windows I do have Internet Access When I type ipconfig all I get only this No ipconfig numbers ipconfig shows only "Windows IP Configuration" after upgrade to Win10 at all Windows IPConfiguration Host Name MyComputerName Primary Dns Suffix blank Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No The Ethernet card shows working properly I uninstalled and reinstalled ipconfig shows only "Windows IP Configuration" after upgrade to Win10 driver I ran C gt netshwinsock reset catalog then I ran C gt netsh int ipreset reset log This gave me an error message Access denied My initial attempt to do the upgrade failed at about I googled this and removed my symbolic link that allowed me to move my user data to my D Google said there could be problems with that After that the upgrade completed but I can't activate because I have no internet connection I suspect that deleting the symbolic link may have something to do with the problem but I don't know Any help would be appreciated

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/54880-ipconfig-shows-only-windows-ip-configuration-after-upgrade-win10.html
Relevancy 83.85%

After repair of Windows XP Home with Dell C 521, computer now j it just loops between Dell F12 scrren and Windowws screen followed by a quick flashby of a blue screen with white print. When clicking any safemode item, I just get a scrolling screen for a few seconds. I can't do a reinstall and a format as there is nuch important info that can afford to lose. Can someone help. Thanmx

A:On Dell C521 "repair" takes me to looping twixt Dell and Windows screens

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/on-dell-c521-repair-takes-me-to-looping-twixt-dell-and-windows-screens.1114543/
Relevancy 83.85%

Unsure what happened here. Never had this kind of error before. Laptop runs fine. However, when I go into control panel and select "check for updates" it literally does nothing other than sort of freeze up...not a crash just runs real slow and it "clocks" Windows update tool never comes up. Any idea how to fix this? Everything runs fine and normal otherwise

A:HP Laptop Windows 8.1 64 bit. Windows Update just "clocks"

Try using the windows update troubleshooter

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter - Microsoft Windows Help

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/48373-hp-laptop-windows-8-1-64-bit-windows-update-just-clocks.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Have you had problems trying to disable your sound when printing on a Dell printer I recently installed Windows and have a Dell printer not sure if this happens with other printers and every time I go to print it says quot printer Printing" Dell "Done 7: Disabling "Now and Printing" sound for Windows Now Printing quot and at the end it says quot Done Printing quot I found this quite aggravating I did find a page on this website that had corrections for Vista but not Windows and the steps are a little different After trying to go into CONTROL Windows 7: Disabling printer sound "Now Printing" and "Done Printing" for Dell PANEL and SOUNDS I found that readjusting these settings did absolutely NOTHING to get rid of these announcements After some more Windows 7: Disabling printer sound "Now Printing" and "Done Printing" for Dell of my own trouble-shooting I figured out how to get rid of these announcements for a DELL printer Click on the Windows icon Windows 7: Disabling printer sound "Now Printing" and "Done Printing" for Dell on the bottom left of your screen and scroll up to DEVICES AND PRINTERS and click on it Left click on your selected printer will have green check mark and scroll to PRINTING PREFERENCES and click on it A box will pop up In the upper right hand corner click on OPTIONS and scroll down to PRINTER STATUS OPTIONS and click on it Another box will pop up Click on the circle to the left of Never Display the Printing Status so that the circle becomes blue Note selecting this option will disable your printing announcements but it will ALSO disable the box that pops up during printing that shows your ink levels and percentage of printing completed If you want to continue to see this printing status box you will have to deal with the announcements as well Hope this was helpful nbsp

A:Windows 7: Disabling printer sound "Now Printing" and "Done Printing" for Dell

I only use HP printers and have never used Dell printers, so I'm not familiar with those "now printing/done printing" announcements.

I keep my printer set to notify me of the ink levels ONLY when something is printing.

That saves me from having to go into the printer toolbox to manually check the ink levels.

----------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-disabling-printer-sound-now-printing-and-done-printing-for-dell.1106559/
Relevancy 83.42%

windows update error code quot WindowsUpdate quot quot WindowsUpdate dt quot To anyone that can help me out "WindowsUpdate_dt00 update windows code error "WindowsUpdate_80073712" I purchased a windows anytime upgrade key and upgraded my system from windows home premiuim to windows ultimate now when my windows tries to update I get this See image titled quot message quot windows update error code "WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt00 To bring you up to speed as to what I've windows update error code "WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt00 done so far I ran sfc scannow and no errors were found I downloaded the hotfixes and apllied them and still could not update I tried to do a system restore to the point before I upgraded but I could not perform one because windows update error code "WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt00 all of my previous attempts to update windows automatically creates a system restore and all the restore points were within a hour period I installed a system update readiness tool as per quot windows help and support quot dialogue box Really I feel like I've done my homework and I've exhausted my efforts as to how to fix this problem I'm currently going to school for computers and so I really like to apply what I learn in real world situations but this one has got me stumped Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Techstudent

A:windows update error code "WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt00

Read this instructions carefully and proceed:

Quote:
If the System File Check tool found corruption and could not fix them, then we will do a repair install to correct this. First check if the second set of instructions (Resetting Windows Update Components) is successful.

Repair Installation:
You may reinstall your copy of Windows 7 while keeping your files, settings, and programs by performing a repair installation or an upgrade installation.
1. Insert the Windows installation disc into your computer's DVD or CD drive. You must start Windows installation while running your existing version of Windows.
2. On the Install Windows page, click Install now.
3. On the Get important updates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation and to help protect your computer against security threats. You will need an Internet connection to get installation updates.
4. On the Type your product key for activation page, we strongly recommend that you type your 25-character product key to help avoid problems during activation.
5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms.
6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade. You might see a compatibility report.
7. Follow the instructions.
Note: If your installation disk does not include SP1, and you are updated to it, then you will have to uninstall it before performing an upgrade install. Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> View installed updates, then select Service Pack for Microsoft Windows and click Uninstall.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is always advisable to backup any and all important data before proceeding with any major changes to your system. Please see: Methods for backing up your files.
Always make sure you have the means to reinstall your programs, either through an install disk or having access to the installation files.

Source: "WindowsUpdate_80070570" "WindowsUpdate_80073712" - Microsoft Answers

I would prefer you try an upgrade installation and input your newly purchased product key which will install Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/212914-windows-update-error-code-windowsupdate_80073712-windowsupdate_dt00.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hey everyone I just got a new Sony SDM-HS quot But Shows Shows Input "no Up New Then Monitor Signal" Boot LCD monitor to replace an old quot CRT for christmas and i went to set it up tonight and when i did and turned my computer on it showed the bios and the windows XP loading but after it loaded it would go black and show the quot No Input Signal quot box on the New Monitor Shows Boot Up But Then Shows "no Input Signal" screen and then go into sleep mode soon there after I rebooted but the same thing happened i know its not the computer because the CRT monitor has been working fine on it for almost a year now and still is working but i m baffled to as to what the problem is followed the manuals troubleshooting instructions and installed the drivers and set the monitor setting to that of my new monitor but that didnt work also tried switching it into New Monitor Shows Boot Up But Then Shows "no Input Signal" quot Plug and Play quot as the monitor setting but that didnt work either can anyone please offer me some advice as to how to get this working any and all help is appreciated Thank you - Justin nbsp

A:New Monitor Shows Boot Up But Then Shows "no Input Signal"

Ii's probably this. Boot into safe mode (tap F8 on boot up), and set the resolution to 60-65Hz. Then reboot as usual. The new monitor probably cant handle the res it is set at now.

If that doesn't work, come back.

Scorp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-monitor-shows-boot-up-but-then-shows-no-input-signal.427776/
Relevancy 82.99%

My home laptop computer (I say home because it is mostly used by my more-technology-challenged-than-me wife and my 3 1/2 year old son) will not boot up. I get a message that says "PBR 2...failed" right after the Dell splash screen.

Nothing else happens after that.

I am using a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Windows XP. The battery is dead (like all Dell E1505 batteries after one year), but other than that, it has been working fine.

The last thing I installed was a browser toolbar from UPromise (a 529 shopping rewards organization). The computer worked fine for at least a few days after that install.

I have tried using what I believe is the boot CD. It went through some processing - probably took about 30-45 minutes - started to boot up again, then failed with the same message.

A:Can't get my laptop to boot up, Dell Inspiron E1505 stops after "PBR 2...failed" msg

I ran the Diagnostics (after hitting F12 for BIOS) and it stopped at --Start DST Short Test-- Test Results: Fail Error Code: 1000-0146 Msg: Unit 0:DST Log contains previous error(s)

It then asks if I want to continue testing.

I did and got a separate error:

1000-0141 - No hard drive detected

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-get-my-laptop-to-boot-up-dell-inspiron-e1505-stops-after-pbr-2-failed-msg-315832.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I dont know if this is the right thread, but here goes.

I try to start my Dell Inspiron 5010 laptop and I get "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl Alt Del to recover"

Every page I've Googled about this error tells me my hard drive is shot and needs to be replaced. I'm in total denial so, can this really be? Have I lost all my data?

Does the hard drive need to be gutted and replaced?

Thanks.

A:"A Disc Read Error Has occurred" during Startup - Dell laptop

Hello there and welcome to the forums Doomdaddy!

If you want to be absolutely sure whether your drive is gutted/or still recoverable, try and pull it out of the laptop and place it into an external USB caddy/enclosure, and plug it into a working system to see whether the system can detect it or not...

You can also try to reseat the the drive in the laptop by taking it out and putting it back in again after a cold shutdown..

Hope that helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/238135-disc-read-error-has-occurred-during-startup-dell-laptop.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop that really hasn't seen a lot of use but it has this problem:

If I press on the lower left Shift, Ctrl, Fn or Win key, the whole keyboard bottoms out and makes a ker-plunk sound once it unflexes. If I lightly touch the keys, everything's fine. With normal use, the annoying ker-plunk is there.

Is this something that can be fixed?

Thank you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-d630-laptop-keyboard-makes-a-ker-plunk-sound.732749/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,

My operating system is Windows 7 32 bit.
I am using Laptop not Tablet, but when i look for navigator.userAgent, it says "Tablet PC" word in it.

I am thinking it is a bug.

I am not looking for a solution where i need to stop the "Tablet PC Input Service" windows service to not to show "Tablet PC" word.

My understanding is as long as i use Laptop i should not see "Tablet PC 2.0" word in navigator.userAgent.

If it is not a bug, how to differentiate between Laptop and Tablet.

Thanks in Advance

A:"Tablet" word shows up in IE for Windows 7 32 bit OS

One of the main differences is that on a Tablet PC you use a "stylus" or your fingers on the screen to operate it (touch-screen), whereas with a laptop you use either the touchpad or an external mouse and don't touch the screen at all.

The famous iPad from Apple is one example of a tablet

More info here: Tablet Vs. Laptop: A Comparison - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/tablet-word-shows-up-in-ie-for-windows-7-32-bit-os-639198.html
Relevancy 82.99%

This week I m at my in-laws -- and doing routing maintenance on their computers and wireless network -- which includes thorough bumper to bumper scanning of their computers for a variety of things While doing so with their relatively new Dell laptop I encountered the infamous and incredibly annoying Browser Helper that Dell in a deal with Google is installing on new computers This quot feature quot is incredibly annoying when ultimately encountered during the loading of a legit web page It takes what is presumed to be a mis-typed URL or one that doesn t resolve in the DNS domain name server -- including from embedded ad banners -- and instead of returning a standard DNS error it redirects the browser to a Dell web page with Google search box and a host of click-through adverts My ISP s home page which I was using to get to my web mail was triggering Hijacker" "Browser "helper[??]") Dell's Solved: (Google this before the web page could completely load -- as were some web pages on Newegg before that Took me a while to sort Solved: Dell's "Browser Hijacker" (Google "helper[??]") out what it was as Spybot S amp D Adaware and Hijack This didn t find it at the least I didn t recognize it in the Hijack This log Turns out it s not that difficult to get rid of -- but Dell Google don t Solved: Dell's "Browser Hijacker" (Google "helper[??]") make it plainly obvious Here s the fix Close Internet Explorer important Fire up the Control Panel Go to quot Add or Remove Programs quot Look for one of these programs they ve used several different program names quot Browser Address Error Redirector quot or quot GoogleAFE quot or quot URL Assistant quot You will should only find one of them -- highlight it and hit the quot Change Remove quot button Reboot the computer -- this annoyance should be gone now BTW - There is a little itty-bitty quot What s this quot hyperlink in the upper right corner on the Dell Google page this beast redirects the browser to -- easily missed -- and this is the URL it takes you to that explains why you ended up there on the Dell Google page with paid adverts http www google com hws dell afe What the removal instructions there do not explain is the need to close Internet Explorer first and to reboot the computer after removing the program Once loaded by IE it stays loaded in RAM even though it s been quot removed quot from the hard drive and registry This is most likely why some who have encountered this thing and tried to remove it have thought the removal failed Wanted to share in greater detail what it is and how to get rid of it -- John P S Apology in advance if these instructions are elsewhere on the forum - I did to a search and got some hits but it didn t turn up the specifics about what it is and how to get rid of it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dells-browser-hijacker-google-helper.654548/
Relevancy 82.56%

I tried to reset my laptop and now when I try to set it up, I cant get past the "Hi there" settings screen that asks for country, language, keyboard layout, and time zone. I hit next and then use express settings and the computer gives me the spinning white dots and then reboots back to the blue "Hi there" screen. I can get into BIOS and have a recovery drive plugged in to the laptop, but nothing seems to work. The computer can't find the drive, or my admin password is incorrect, or something else goes wrong. This is very frustrating as I haven't been able to use the laptop for a few days now.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/62115-dell-laptop-cannot-get-past-hi-there-settings-screen.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello I am having speed space issues with my Dell Inspiron laptop I m running Windows XP The last week or so it has been taking an inordinate amount of time to bring up new windows change tabs in Firefox etc even bringing up the Start Menu takes time and makes a lot of making "working" laptop eating near-constant drive noises, space Dell hard noise I ve also noticed that there is very little space left on my hard drive I have continued to move photos to Dell laptop making near-constant "working" noises, eating hard drive space a USB key and delete old files but the space keeps filling up and I don t know what s causing it I also had one incident this week Dell laptop making near-constant "working" noises, eating hard drive space where I typed a web address into Firefox I don t remember exactly which site--something very regular like Facebook or Gmail and it brought up a completely different site with questionable content no it was not a pop-up and the page I wanted didn t load in a new tab or anything I am putting a HijackThis log below Thank you much for your help RainyDayInParis Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS system Atievxx exe C Program Files Common Files EPSON EBAPI SAgent exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe C Program Files Lexmark Series lxczbmgr exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Lexmark Series lxczbmon exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - Toolbar Veoh Web Player Video Finder - FBB -D D - f a-A E - B BFC - C Program Files Veoh Networks VeohWebPlayer VeohIEToolbar dll O - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run Lexmark Series quot C Program Files Lexmark Series lxczbmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe quot O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run Google Update quot C Documents and Settings A Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleUpdate exe quot c O - Global Startup EPSON Status Monitor Environment Check lnk C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x E SRCV EXE O - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra Tools menuitem xpsp res dll - - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-laptop-making-near-constant-working-noises-eating-hard-drive-space.921742/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello everyone how are you!

I have a question, actually I'm development a application for sharing internet connection. I'm using "Wireless Hosted Network and Internet Connection Sharing" that it's in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd815252%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I want change default IP Address range and I have read that these settings it's in next address:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters.

My question is, How I can restart or update the "Internet Connection Shraring" or "Wireless Hosted Network" after I change the IP Address range for that assign IP Address different to default.

Thank you!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9cad8769-ac99-4437-8b52-752a0cf85da9/restart-or-update-the-quotinternet-connection-shraringquot-or-quotwireless-hosted?forum=netmon
Relevancy 82.13%

with an icon of a computer with a red quot X quot over it I do not know what a network cable is or how it could be unplugged because my computer came with wifi I cannot get it to connect to the internet at all My Dell Precision M recently had a Dell Precision unplugged" showing Network laptop cable Connection message,"Local Area computer virus and I Dell Precision laptop showing message,"Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged" ran malware megabytes to try to fix it Malwarebytes did clear my computer of the virus but after a few days of running malwarebytes my laptop gave me a message that it had to shut down to protect itself It said that if I had recently changed any settings on the computer that might be the cause of the shutdown Everytime I turned the computer on it would show the same message and then shut down again I brought it to a computer mechanic He said that malware megabytes got rid of the virus but probably mistook a good file as part of the virus My computer seemed to be shutting down because of a the good file that malware megabytes modified I got my laptop back from the computer guy today It seems to be fixed other than the fact that it won t connect to the internet at all The first time I recieved the message quot Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged quot was after I ran malwarebytes but before I brought it to the computer guy My laptop would often connect to the internet anyway back then I am wondering if malwarebytes might have changed the internet settings Does anyone know how to fix this problem Thank you nbsp

A:Dell Precision laptop showing message,"Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged"

If you don't have an ethernet cable connected then that message is normal. Since you apparently don't use it you can disable the connection in Network Connections to get rid of the nag.

It's impossible to guess what files might have been modified by the malware, the malware fighter, or the computer guy.

Does your wireless adapter appear under Network Adapter in Device Manager as OK? What, if any, warning or errors are there in Device Manager?

Assuming you are using an integrated wireless adapter is it switched on? Can you detect your network?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-precision-laptop-showing-message-local-area-connection-network-cable-unplugged.915461/
Relevancy 82.13%

So I'm having a problem with my Dell laptop. The F-keys are all assigned to certain things ie F1 = toggle external display, F2 = turn wireless on/off, F3 = show battery etc.

This is a major problem when I'm trying to play computer games such as Warcraft 3 where the F-keys are vital keys for having full control.

If anyone could tell me how to turn this feature off it would be great, I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium at the moment but I'm upgrading to Windows 7 shortly.

Also if I do turn this feature off, how would I go about activating/deactivating wireless?

Thanks in advance!

A:Dell Laptop "F-keys" problem

Ok I figured this out myself. Weird that there are quite a few forum posts around the internet about this but no fixes listed anywhere I looked on google, so maybe this thread will help a few people even after it's closed

Anyway to fix it, go to your BIOS > Advanced and there's a Function Key option there, set it to "Function Key First" instead of "Multimedia Key First" and voila!

Enjoy!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-laptop-f-keys-problem.872760/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi folks.  This is after doing an upgrade from Server 2008 to Server 2008 R2 mind you.  Not sure if that matters.  

I was having problems with RDPing to my Win7 clients so I checked that remote desktop was enabled.  When doing so I saw that it informed me that I had to allow rdp access in the firewall which I know had been done before.  After looking around I realized that my network profile had been changed to "Public".  I also noticed that my active network shows as "unauthenticated".  What does this mean and how can I fix this?  How did this happen?  Thanks.

A:Network shows as "Unauthenticated"....Changed my network profile to "Public"

How many DCs are there in the domain?
I suggest that you remove the Windows 7 computer from the AD, and exit the Windows 7 computer from domain. Then, re-join the computer to the domain. How does it work now?
If the issue persists, please temporary disable the firewall on both computers. Also, please check if Network Location Awareness service is enabled on the server and Windows 7 computers.Arthur Xie - MSFT

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ca343a3c-c61e-4816-9a96-d973386db2e2/network-shows-as-quotunauthenticatedquotchanged-my-network-profile-to-quotpublicquot?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi all So I'm kind of stuck I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of quot loading files quot - gt quot Windows Boot Manager quot see How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows The Easy Way I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load I also end up at a OneKey Recovery as well unfortunately the laptop does not have initial backup or user backup Manager" -> files Boot ..." "Loading "OneKey" "Windows -> images I have a Windows CD for repairing purposes however I cannot load the BIOS UEFI to change "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" the boot order to load the optical drives first I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery to fix it did not work Also - Windows "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" Boot Manager Windows Setup EMS Enabled -- does not load properly leads to OneKey Recovery Safe Mode does not load properly Safe Mode with Networking does not load properly Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't load - tries to boot and load all files onto partition that is too small can't change partition Enable Boot Logging Enable Low-Resolution Video Debugging MOde Disable automatic restart on system failure Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Display Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver Start Windows Normally Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55670-loading-files-windows-boot-manager-onekey.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I have a dell Inspiron 15R N5010 laptop.
windows 7 64-bit OS  Recently I have face some issue so i re-install the OS
Now it shows Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.
now my display is not upto the mark. In screen resolution i used to get a resolution of 1366 x 768 in MOBILE PC DISPLAY MODE.
so now the display is really wierd and stretched.
So please help me to find the actual drivers which are needed.
plz reply back. :)

A:Dell 15R N5010 graphic shows "Standard VGA Graphic" and graphic stretched

You can click the link below to download the drivers for your computer. There is a link to driver install order as well. 
Inspiron N5010 Drivers Downloads and Manuals
How to install Drivers in order

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19986492
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi --

I just migrated to a new hard drive and did a clean install of Win7 (did not have SP1 on the DVD).

During the Updating process, windows stopped working and I received an error, something about running Update again, etc. So I rebooted and finished the Upgrading process...no further problems noted.

However, I view the "Installed Updates" and see that KB2604114 and about 20 other updates "FAILED." But when I view the "Update History," it lists KB2604114 and the others as "installed."

I'm confused. Are the updates I'm referring to "FAILED" or are they properly installed?

Thanks!

A:Win7 - "View Update History" vs. "Installed Update"

In your description, you might have switched the observations.

"History" is a log that tracks attempts at installing specific updates. One user might have multiple failed attempts for a particular update; or multiple successful attempts if one was looking for a source of a problem.

"Installed updates" records the last successful installation of a specific update; no timestamp, just the date.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/247462-win7-view-update-history-vs-installed-update.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hello I had Windows Update automatic checking for updates Windows are date" available up Update ..." "There updates - "Windows to no is disabled with the necessary services for Windows update enabled The last update was Windows Update "Windows is up to date" - "There are no updates available ..." sometime back in February of After manually activating Windows Update Windows Windows Update "Windows is up to date" - "There are no updates available ..." Update was still running after minutes I then quit Windows Update and was going to wait till a later time to activate again However after running some system cleaners I tried to activate Windows Update which produced an error message IIRC the error message indicated a program and parameter was required to run Windows Update Current Windows Vista WindowsUpdateagent Version is Vista x Quite a while back I manually fixed Windows Update after it stopped working and has been working correctly up to now This time instead of a manual fix I tried to use MS fix-it program However MS's current link to download the Fix-it program is not an exe file but a cab file uncertain why MS currently has a link to a cab file instead of an exe file Anyway instead of attempting a manual fix I found a MS windows update agent installation for Vista -Bit After re-installation using the Windows Vista x windowsupdate exe file version xxx Windows Update now displays a window with options stating that quot Windows is up to date quot quot There are no updates available for your computer quot If I select quot Check for Updates quot Windows Update continually runs for over mins without any results I was thinking of allowing Windows Update to run for up to several hours to see if there are any results At this point I'm not certain if Windows Update is working as it should or if something is messed up with it's installation There is another windowsupdate agent available online with a different filename for Windows Vista x quot WindowsUpdateAgent -x exe quot Which is version whereas the one I used has a different filename WindowsUpdateAgent- -x exe which should be version MS Fix-it link downloads a non-executable file quot WindowsUpdateDiagnostic diagcab quot so there's not diagnostic exe file to run So is my Windows Vista x installation up to date Windows Update message of quot Windows is up to date quot - quot There are no updates available for your computer quot is correct

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/304614-windows-update-windows-up-date-there-no-updates-available.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hello all,

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit that works perfectly except something. When it starts up, the past Windows logo "Starting Windows" does not appear instead the "Microsoft Corporation" logo appears. How can I fix this problem so that the Windows shows the previous "Starting windows" logo when starting?

A:The past Windows logo "Starting Windows" does not appear

This thread may be of help

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/279878-past-windows-logo-starting-windows-does-not-appear.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi there
This is an IE only issue.
Every time I go to intranet in IE - on first request IE shows "Please come back later" - refreshing works fine - how to fix so it shows on first request
Any help on fixing this will be appreciated.
Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4f2bc333-5681-4ed9-8ce7-8df880e5db66/every-time-i-go-to-intranet-in-ie-on-first-request-ie-shows-quotplease-come-back-laterquot-?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi,

A couple of days ago my Dell Inspiron 6000, started freezing,

When I boot it up it seems to load, and, then it will not let me into anything, after a few minutes the cursor freezes.

The day before this happened I downloaded an anti key logger program, and, initialised AIRoboform, which had been on my desktop for a while, the only other thing loaded were a couple of genuine Serif photo programs.

I'm not a techie so if any one has a solution could you make it very very simple,

Thanks

Joe

A:Dell laptop "freezing"

Hi joemac278

Please download HijackThis . This program will help us determine if there are any spyware/malware on your computer. Double-click on the file you just downloaded. Click on the "Unzip" button to install. It will by default install to the directory - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\ Run a scan and save the log file. Post the contents of the file here in this thread. Do not fix anything in HijackThis since they may be harmless. Make sure to include the System information at the top of the log as well.

You may also like to subscribe to this thread (thread tools > subscriptions) so you are notified as soon as you receive a response.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/dell-laptop-freezing-103777.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello Hope someone can assist me with the issue I am having in windows Pro A few days ago my system Automatically updated to Windows Pro v OS Build all went well and seemed to be OK Now to my Problem When I now go to check for updates it does its checking for updates thing then installs any available update but once it has completed this and I click on quot Advanced Options View Update History quot in that all I get is a blank page and all it says is no updates have been installed yet But I know that it has installed windows defender updates because I have seen it download Update Update History" Options/View "Advanced Windows Problem - them and complete the updates I have tried the reset windows update bat file floating around on the forum but all that Windows Update - "Advanced Options/View Update History" Problem does is clear everything and still no updates are showing in the list when I go to quot Advanced Options View Update History quot Can anyone please help Windows Update - "Advanced Options/View Update History" Problem me get that all back to normal This has only been an issue since this update to Windows Pro v OS Build How do I know that the updates in Defender or anything Windows Update - "Advanced Options/View Update History" Problem else for that matter are actually installing seeing that they are not being listed in the quot View Update History quot list Is anyone else having this issue and if so any assistance on how to fix this will be appreciated cheers

A:Windows Update - "Advanced Options/View Update History" Problem

Hello kokakola,

You might see if resetting Windows Update may show the history of what you install afterwards.

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/31974-windows-update-advanced-options-view-update-history-problem.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Entering the bios limits me to certain options. Is there anyway to access the other options? sorry, newbie here.

A:No "usb legacy support" "qfan" options on my asus laptop bios.

If your BIOS doesn't include such options, then they simply are not there.

I don't know about hacking BIOS's, and I wouldn't suggest it at all. You could brick your motherboard.

However, you should check with your manufacturer's website and see if there is an update available for the BIOS that may increase available options.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/222756-no-usb-legacy-support-qfan-options-my-asus-laptop-bios.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Monday morning- Screen pops up saying my laptop wasn t shut down right That it had to run a test to shut it down normal- Test took about welcome F8 with page- mode. at start won't Left "_" all in 1545 past corner safe won't top work Black or Dell to up the screen restore blinking Laptop hrs to complete After test I could get on like normal then once I shut it it shut down and didn t get back on till later that night only to find I CAN quot Laptop 1545 won't start up past the Dell welcome page- Black screen with "_" blinking in top Left corner F8 won't work at all to restore or safe mode. T get past the nbsp Black screen of death- the black screen with the quot quot in top left corner I ve restarted it a lot to see if it would just turn on like normal with no luck I CAN quot T press F without having it beep at me I can only get into F and F and that is it I know my battery is crap has been because it won t charge I also Sunday night uploaded from malware bites web page a free download refreash virus protection again Because somehow it went missing a few weeks before I did find that night I had to big viruses that I did get taken care of which were both trojans I did get onto google com a few times that night with having problems when trying to open the new window in a new tab- Fire Fox - My mother also said her down stairs computer desk top was doing the same with google the day So I m wondering what is going on with everything I ve tried to get a email for tech support but no luck because they say that they don t do anything with my model number- which is only - yrs old I ve got Laptop 1545 won't start up past the Dell welcome page- Black screen with "_" blinking in top Left corner F8 won't work at all to restore or safe mode. a lot saved on the computer but can t get inside at all nbsp I need help getting something done I don t have any of the cds that come with the laptop I do but somewhere I can t find them I was reading others have this problem and have seen it could be from power ac adapter to mother board to just over heating- and of course a virus I need to get this fixed asap But just can t seem to get into safe mode or even restart the whole system- I did do a virus scan Sunday night after deleting Big Fish games which I never used I just can t find out what the heck happen Thanks nbsp

A:Laptop 1545 won't start up past the Dell welcome page- Black screen with "_" blinking in top Left corner F8 won't work at all to restore or safe mode.

Hi Emilie2011,
Welcome to the Community, it could be an issue with the harddrive. I suggest you can start by running the Hardware diagnostics.
To run diagnostics press and hold down the "Fn" key (on the lower left hand bottom of the keyboard)  and turn on the system,it should ideally bring up screen showing Pre-Boot System Assessment.
Another way to run the diagnostics go to F12 screen,scroll down using the "up" and "down" arrow key,choose diagnostics  and press Enter.
If the diagnostics shows any error code/message please post it back.
Since your system is getting stuck on black screen with blinking cursor,you can also try to release flea power.
To release flea power disconnect the charger and remove the battery,press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds,reconnect the battery and charger.Turn on the system and see if it boots to Windows.
Hope this helps,
Thank You
Roshan.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19441817
Relevancy 79.98%

website and others.

If I rest my mouse on the "X" it says "close frame". When click on the X the ads or whatever is in the header shows up normally.

Is there a fix for this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-believe-after-a-flash-java-update-my-laptop-has-a-red-x-at-the-top-of-this.698788/
Relevancy 79.55%

Recently my computer is giving error messages for exe tasks I counted over twenty upon start ups and after The exact messages read quot Google Update exe or other task names - Bad Image quot quot The application or DLL quot C PROGRA Google GOOGLE GOEC DLL is not a valid Windows image Please check "not & image" a "Google Update.exe Bad Windows Image" valid - this against your installation diskette quot My Operating System is Windows XP I did a HijackThis scan as follows and thank you for your help Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C Program Files Common Files ArcSoft Connection Service Bin ACService exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device "Google Update.exe - Bad Image" & "not a valid Windows image" Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Google Update GoogleUpdate exe C WINDOWS system PSIService exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsAuxs exe C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack SeaPort SeaPort exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS wanmpsvc exe C WINDOWS system MsPMSPSv exe C WINDOWS system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files RegCure RegCure exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus Engine ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Lexmark Series lxbmbmgr exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Common Files ArcSoft Connection Service Bin ACDaemon exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files ParetoLogic Anti-Spyware Pareto AS exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared wkcalrem exe C Program Files Windows Desktop Search WindowsSearch exe C Program Files Sierra Imaging Image Expert IXApplet exe C WINDOWS system devldr exe C Program Files Lexmark Series lxbmbmon exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Windows Live Contacts wlcomm exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http home peoplepc com search R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - URLSearchHook no name - C -B C - - D-B AD E D - no file R - URLSearchHook no name - FBFAE - A - D - CB- C FD - no file O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Program Files Real RealPlayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Symantec In... Read more

A:"Google Update.exe - Bad Image" & "not a valid Windows image"

Bump.

I see on the HijackThis log, line 020 is the line that I'm getting on the error messages regarding bad image. So now, my husband uninstalled the Google download he did before and also uninstalled the folders with Google in them. The result is that the "Bad Image" pop-up messages have ceased, but I don't know if that's all we need to do.

I did another HijackThis log, which follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 5:10:56 PM, on 10/3/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\RegCure\RegCure.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1195317500\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Engine\17.0.0.136\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\PSIService.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Engine\17.0.0.136\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\TFEngine\TFService.exe
C:\WINDOWS2\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\Update.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://home.peoplepc.com/search
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: IAOLTBSearch Class - {EA756889-2338-43DB-8F07-D1CA6FB9C90D} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\aoltb.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - 731C719-B8C5-4282-993D-B5AD0E77531D} - (no file)
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - FBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/google-update-exe-bad-image-not-a-valid-windows-image.864567/
Relevancy 79.55%

Microsoft Updater says I have a critical update (KB2286198) to install but it fails and gives the message: "WindowsUpdate_80246007" "WindowsUpdate_dt000".

I've tried a couple of things that MS Support suggests but they don't work and don't seem to really apply to this particular error message. Searching for the error code 80246007 hasn't yielded anything yet that works.

Any ideas?

Gateway GT5622
x86 based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz, 1800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Operating System Name: Windows Vista
Operating System Platform: NT/2000/XP/Vista
Operating System Major Version: 6
Operating System Minor Version: 0
Operating System Build Number: 6002
Service Pack Description: Service Pack 2

A:Update Error Message "WindowsUpdate_80246007" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/update-error-message-windowsupdate_80246007-windowsupdate_dt000.941849/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi everyone....

the latest Windows update "2014 time zone update for Russia "....KB2998527 was released 9/23/2014.

It it necessary for those of us who live in the US to install this update?
I have become very cautious about installing Windows updates since the problems the the early August Windows updates have caused.

thank you...

Joe

A:Windows update "2014 time zone update for Russia "

I hope it isn't necessary since I hid it because of the problems the last Russian update caused (I hid that one, too).

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/346869-windows-update-2014-time-zone-update-russia.html
Relevancy 79.12%

The message "Working on updates 12%" has been hanging on the screen for the last 12 hours on my desktop pc.

I had the same problem, though at a different point in the update process, with my laptop.

I had to abandon the update on my laptop and reinstall.

Do I have to go through all that a gain with my Desktop?

I'm very frustrated and thinking of reverting to Windows 7.

Does anyone have some suggestions to correct the stalled update procedure.

Many thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/64766-windows-10-update-update-screen-message-working-updates-12-a.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Inspiron 15R SE 7520
When I attempt to start my laptop it goes to the Dell logo screen and will not boot Windows 8. Any suggestions?
I've had the computer less than a month and if I have to restore the system completely it will not cause much of a problem.

Thanks for the help in advance!

A:Dell Laptop w/ Windows 8 won't boot past dell logo screen

Hello Univers789,
Re-installing windows is the last resort. So before doing that, you can try the steps mentioned below which might fix the issue. 1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for enter the BIOS. 2. Navigate to the “Advanced” menu. 3. Change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI. 4. Press F10 to save changes and exit. 5. Reboot the system. 6. Go back into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key and change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from AHCI to Intel Smart Response. 7. Save changes and exit by pressing the F10 key. 8. Reboot the system and it should boot normally into Windows. In case the above steps don’t fix the issue, run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics. Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. Please write back with results. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19480504
Relevancy 77.83%

So now that I have gotten the Windows 10 3-finger grestures to work on my Dell XPS 13 9333 (2014), it looks like one of the most useful features finally introduced in Windows 10 --the ability to scroll windows out of focus without having to click them first-- is not working with my touchpad, even though the option is clearly enabled in the Settings app.
Hower, it does work just right with a wireless Logitech mouse, in the exact same situation where the trackpad fails to work. Even more weird is that I have gotten it to work with the touchpad if the window in focus is one of the Modern/Metro apps, but it is just impossible to get it working with "normal" software.
I am running the latest version of the Synaptics Dell Touchpad driver (v.19.0.15.2), just installed from the Dell's website after uninstalling the previous version.
Anyone experiencing the same issue? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
-- Pol

A:Windows 10 "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" not working on Dell XPS 13 9333 touchpad

I have the same problem. Didn't find the solution anywhere on the Internet, nothing seems to work...
my laptop is Dell Inspiron 3542

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646529
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi Everyone I have a very severe issue due to which my Dell Inspiron Laptop is in nbsp dead state since last one month I bought this Laptop in from UK Everything was ok until last month when first windows user login screen took extraordinary time to show up and then when I restarted my Laptop Windows refused to start hangs 1564 is on DELL Windows" Starting Inspiron "Setup Re-installation 7 Windows at giving me following Windows 7 Re-installation on DELL Inspiron 1564 hangs at "Setup is Starting Windows" nbsp error windows failed to start a recent hardware or nbsp software change might be a cause if windows files have been damage or configured incorrectly start up can help diagnosis and fix the problem if power was interpted during start up choose start window normally From Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD which came with the Laptop I made bootable USB as my optical drive does not work to reinstall windows but after quot window is loading files quot screen when I click on Reinstall windows link it stucks there like forever It just shows message quot Setup is Starting Windows quot I have waited for to hours but it does not proceed further Someone please tell me what could be the reason for this Thank in Advance nbsp

A:Windows 7 Re-installation on DELL Inspiron 1564 hangs at "Setup is Starting Windows"

HAMMI_SAIF,
Try going into the bios by starting the computer and tapping the F2 key. Once in the bios navigate to the Advanced tab and down to SATA Operation. Change the setting to ATA. Save the changes on exit. See if you can then install Windows. If so, you will need to go back in and change this back once Windows is installed.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19993292
Relevancy 77.83%

quot dependency chain quot quot windows quot internet quot windows explorer quot At the time of this writing this search in Google will produce one result at best Am I searching the wrong things I have tried a couple handfuls of variants and "dependency 7" chain" internet "windows explorer" "windows I am coming up with zilch Though I am fairly well versed in Windows from working on other people's machines I decided to stick with good old XP because of one issue above "dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer" all else When I instructed my firewall to block Windows Explorer from accessing the Internet it completely cut me off from the Internet no ifs ands or buts My understanding of why this is happened leads me to believe the dependency chain for Internet access goes through Windows Explorer I have long had a habit of blocking my File Manager of choice access to the Internet because well it's a file manager Admittedly my one experience with Windows on my own machine was a retired student version of Server R but as soon as I found out that was the case I decided not to make the move to Windows and went back to my XP installation I believe I was using Sunbelt Personal Firewall at the time I now use PCTools Free Firewall Is this still the case with Windows Is there a workaround if it is I haven't tried to recreate this on another person's machine KronKyrios

A:"dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer"

Hi KronKyrios, welcome to 7F!

I did find some very old information that may shed some light:
http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?17198-explorer.exe-(W98)&p=58079#post58079

"Launch Browser Windows in a Separate Process" Setting Is Not Available in Internet Explorer 5.01 or Internet Explorer 5.5

You can go into Services and check:
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Network Connections
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Windows Management Instrumentation

R-click on each one, then Properties, then the Dependencies Tab.
You would have to cross check each one that is listed.

Here is a good list to help you: Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/206824-dependency-chain-windows-7-internet-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Note I can't take any screen shots because my problematic laptop won't even start up fully So as a bit of background my -year-old Toshiba A -S laptop battery has been horrible for "configuring down..." stuck updates" "shutting after in Laptop ages as in my laptop MUST Laptop stuck in "shutting down..." after "configuring updates" be plugged in at all times or else it will immediately spontaneously turn off without a proper shut-down It also spontaneously turns off it it overheats or starts working too hard or something so I don't use it very much - but it's where I keep all my music and movies and I've been gradually transferring these files to other devices which is why I still use it occasionally Anyway nights ago I downloaded and installed updates and after taking a while to install updates it stayed on the quot shutting down quot screen for a long time And when I woke up the next morning it was STILL on the quot shutting down quot screen - and it had been hours by that point I was actually very surprised that it hadn't spontaneously turned off overnight So I did a force-turn-off because I thought it would start up ok Today I turned on the computer figuring it would boot up ok So we get to the start-up screen - it even spends a mere split second on the usual improper-shut-down-how-would-you-like-to-start-up screen it usually spends seconds on that screen and it goes through quot configuring updates quot and this took a while and then it went back to the quot shutting down quot screen And it was stuck there for about minutes before I did another force-turn-off and turned it on again because sometimes something that doesn't work one time does indeed work the next time But not this time It went through the same quot configuring updates quot and quot shutting down quot screens and it's now been stuck on quot shutting down quot for about minutes So what can I do to fix it I can't figure out how to get it to fully boot up because paragraph above just happens over and over again Will I have to take out the hard drive and finally retire my computer Would I be able to take out the hard drive and recover my files Thank you

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/394020-laptop-stuck-shutting-down-after-configuring-updates.html