Windows Support Forum

Log event when an user exceeds their ( quota limit / warning level ) appear only once in the event log

Q: Log event when an user exceeds their ( quota limit / warning level ) appear only once in the event log

Hi people I have setup a disk quota usage for the user quot warning appear log their exceeds level the an event quota limit event ( only user / when in ) once Log tester quot nbsp mb warning level mb Quota limit When I generated a file of gt mb then I see well a event Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category Information - - Ntfs A user hit their quota threshold on volume C when I try put a second file of more than mb also first i'm block to copy it good and then i receive well then related event Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category Information - - Ntfs A user hit their quota limit on volume C so I erase the files and try again and then nothing in the event log I Log event when an user exceeds their ( quota limit / warning level ) appear only once in the event log have try restart the quota management to pout other limit for that user to disable then enable again limitation for this user without success once the event amp appear it seem that he never appear again even if a warning limit is triggered again any idea

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/652813a6-620d-43c6-bc2a-3f5647fb8b80/log-event-when-an-user-exceeds-their-quota-limit-warning-level-appear-only-once-in-the-event?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Log event when an user exceeds their ( quota limit / warning level ) appear only once in the event log

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 50.74%

In a strange turn of events, Nvidia elected to use Epic Games' media event (instead of its own last night) at the Game Developers Conference to reveal its newest flagship graphics card, the Titan X.

Read more

A:Nvidia crashes Epic Games' media event, announces Titan X graphics card

Soo... What are the chances of a 6GB "980Ti" variant? A bit like the 780Ti was to the Titan Black?
Because it would be better for games and a hell of a lot cheaper

If the rumor mill is to be believed, the price is going to be $1,349, Most people who buy this for gaming will have no use of the double precision floating point prowess of the card, and the few that would probably should have spent a couple hundred extra bucks to get a proper Quadro!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-crashes-epic-games-media-event-announces-titan-x-graphics-card.209423/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I bought a R9 270X by XFX. My current specs are:

CPU: AMD A10 7800k (Standard Clock Speeds, Graphics Disabled)
RAM: 4GB (2 sticks, both working)
Motherboard: FM2, Gigabyte
PSU: 500 watt 80+ Cert Silver
HDD: 500GB WD Blue

So the issue is that the R9 card consistenly crashes out of all games no matter if I uninstall the drivers or reinstall them. I have tried removing the drivers through catalyst control center and through application based tools (DisplayDriverUninstaller). Once I uninstall and reinstall, it works, until the computer is restarted and then rinse and repeat.

Is this the card saying it is dying? If so it is a weird way of graphics card dying.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/r9-270x-doa-or-user-error.209138/
Relevancy 33.97%

Let s start off will a short little story about my life At the beginning of December last year my laptop HP pavilion Touchsmart quot sleekbook decided to go to First indications pointed to the hard drive and when I called HP they said I needed to buy their replacement to rectify my problems Being fairly tech savvy and having a curiosity of how things work I decided to figure out a different solution I found out that it was a problem with the boot files in windows I used a rescue iso from linux and saved some important stuff but I made a few mistakes and lost most Bypassing limit RAM the everything else I got a clean version of windows enterprise and restored my PC Everything was going fine I was slowly building Bypassing the RAM limit back to the previous functionality I had gotten to over a year Then on Christmas my hard drive crashed and the computer couldn t even boot The drive was unrecognizable I bought a replacement upgrade and I decided I wanted to get the most out of my rebuild so I ordered some more RAM I was running on GB from the manufacturer there was a GB and GB in my motherboard I didn t think there would be a limit to how much RAM I could use with windows x bit so I bought an GB module thinking I could double my RAM and run SolidEdge more smoothly and who knows what else Unfortunately I have recently learned that I am limited to GB of RAM with this specific chipset processor is AMD A - m APU My knowledge is fairly limited compared to those that do this stuff professionally or are avid hobbyists I would like to think that there is a way to get my system to use all of the memory I have provided it I have been reading into it and I am still unsure as to why the chipset is limited to only having access to a certain amount of RAM If it s x or x architecture there is no reason it shouldn t be able to access the upper limit of GB of RAM If a x bit architecture utilizing PAE can technically use GB what limits a literal x bit build to such a low cap My computer can quot knows quot how much is there Windows only shows me GB is available when both sticks are mounted When I have just either the GB or GB inserted it only shows GB although I remember seeing exactly GB at one point I can t get it to duplicate When I have the stock what came installed this PC was refurbished before I took ownership RAM installed it shows GB but I didn t take a screenshot of that In any case you can see on the first image that the computer sees all of the GB but for some stupid reason it only has access to GB and I am not going to give up without a fight YOU WILL USE WHAT I GIVE YOU AND YOU WILL LIKE IT I feel like there is a powerful computer somewhere on my lap but it is just hiding within this thin black plastic case IDK maybe I m completely wrong Someone please help nbsp

A:Bypassing the RAM limit

If your motherboard is limited to 4GB per memory slot there is not much you can do.

What does the system report with only the 8GB stick in the machine? Does it read 4GB, the full 8GB, or does it not boot at all?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bypassing-the-ram-limit.207909/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 21.07%

I bought a ADSL Modem D-Link 2730U

We are connecting to the Modem via Laptop, PC, Phone,... at the same time.

I want to know how can I monitor network(Receive/Send) for each user who connected to the Modem.

Can I do such thing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-network-for-each-user-connected-to-adsl-router-modem.206910/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have joined a computer (PC1) to a domain control server (2008), and user able to login using their domain user account - although recently I have found out that even though the computer (PC1) do not connect to a server, user still able to access using their domain account.
Is there a way for me to restrict domain account user from accessing the computer (PC1) if they are disconnected from server?
Hope my explanation make sense to you guyz.

Thank in advance

A:Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

Lots to be considered. Joining a domain is intended to give the company admin configuration control of all the company users.
This is normal, expected and even proper for the company to do this.

restrict domain account userClick to expand...

hmm; only the company admin should be able to do this and almost always it is done using some scripts, NOT by loggin into your PC. So - - who is accessing your PC remotely, the admin - - how do you know this occurs?

PCs joined to a domain usually get a replacement for PC Login - - the network form and that creates a link to the domain controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevening-domain-user-from-accessing-computer.204127/
Relevancy 21.93%

I finally found out why my wireless keyboard didn't work as I mentioned in another thread several months back.
Evidently the USB wifi thingy was in a USB port that didn't work. When I was going thru this thread http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unknown-device.202706/
I removed it thinking it might be the unknown device.
Anyhow, I've been trying to find the manual for my wireless KB & can't find it.
I'm not sure which number(s) I need. MS PART NO. X820309-001
Serial number or Product ID? Here it is

A:MS Keyboard user manual help

Well, I went here http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/wireless-keyboard-3000 & despite the fact its default language is English, the downloads are in any language BUT.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ms-keyboard-user-manual-help.202759/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have networked PCs before many times successfully so this is not my first time trying to network PCs in a home environment Though I m wondering if Windows is part of the problem I would have thought that for sure until one of the name credentials bad password? user with unknown even correct failure: or "Logon new laptops running W would not connect to any of the other three PCs Laptops running W Yet these other three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to this laptop Then it gets a little more "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password? even with correct credentials interesting this same laptop that couldn t connect to those three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to a Windows desktop and a XP Laptop and those two can also connect back to it without issue It s almost like my network is divided in half and only half can talk to each other But then when I thought it couldn t get any more interesting I realized the first three W PCs Laptops can talk to the others it s just that the others W Laptop W Desktop XP Laptop can t talk back to them without getting the error quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password even though the username and password are correct I don t fully understand this error because on the surface it s just WRONG My username and password are correct but it appears something somewhere is interfering or hijacking the authentication process Three of the computers laptops are brand new just purchased last week and setup this week The HostPC is also fairly new just purchased last month I am not using a HomeGroup and have removed all computers that were part of a HomeGroup I have enabled file sharing and network discovery and enabled Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers on all PCs I have DSL and am using the wireless modem provided by my ISP which has router functionality built into it It is a Sagemcom Model F ST N All computers are connected wirelessly Time is correct on all PCs I cannot use Group Policy since they re all Standard or Home edition DHCP is enabled and all computers are on the same subnet using the x range of ip addresses The six computers are as follows I figured this may make is easier to visualize the layout HostPC HP Desktop W PC Name DrsBlend U N DrsBlend p w not showing my real password PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Desktop W SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC Dell Laptop XP SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W Every PC stated above has the same user name and password and is logged-in with the username DrsBlend and the password The quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password happens when trying to access HostPC PC or PC from PC PC or PC The HostPC can see and connect to all the PCs but only PC and PC can talk back or access the HostPC It s like the HostPC and PC and PC are in their own little clique and can talk back and forth to each other Those three PCs can also talk to PC PC and PC as well but PC PC and PC cannot talk back to them HostPC PC PC Profile corruption I would have entertained that thought but the fact the first three PCs can access and talk to one another kind of defeats that idea and the fact the PCs were just recently setup Firewall Disabled and disabled TrendMicro with no change With them on off the first three PCs can still talk to each other and the rest of the PCs Anyone have any additional suggestions nbsp

A:"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password” even with correct credentials

I experienced a similar problem when I was trying to network my 8.1 machine the host network. As you say the host PC can see and connect to all of the machines, but not the other way around. Not sure if it is the same in your situation but I found that Microsoft's idea of network sharing on the Windows 8 class of OS differs greatly from previous OS's in that you can connect to it from an external host, but when trying to do the other way around it doesn't "see" the PC in question due to differing network sharing protocols included in the OS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am speaking only from what happened with my network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logon-failure-unknown-user-name-or-bad-password%E2%80%9D-even-with-correct-credentials.201313/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 still running XP that has an administrator account, as well as a guest account (where the important docs I need are stored). It has a faulty DC jack, and I plan on having it recycled due to the fact the repair would cost more than the computer is worth. If I remove the hard drive and put it in a USB housing, would I be able to access the info stored under the guest account without any problems?

Relevancy 32.68%

Hello Everyone !
Right now I am using a broadband connection as my Internet connection and I have a dsl modem which is wi-fi capable. Two of my frnds share the same Internet connection through wi-fi. The problem is whenever any of us watching YouTube videos or downloading something, the whole speed is consumed by that particular computer. I know that many new modems have the capability to limit the bandwidth usage these days but mine is an older one. So I was wondering if there is any way I can limit the bandwidth for each computer.
Thanks !

A:How to limit the bandwidth for each computer on a wireless network?

You have to have a modem you can log into an has that type of feature. If you are wired into the network, you should be able to limit the wireless bandwidth and keep your wired bandwidth up. Normally go into the modem, go to setting and wireless setting to limit it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-limit-the-bandwidth-for-each-computer-on-a-wireless-network.193175/
Relevancy 52.03%

How serious is this? I'm running on a Dell laptop with a Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

It is saying that I should back up all of my important files because of possible hard drive failure.

PLEASE HELP? I don't know how to fix this because I don't know what it means.

A:Hard drive is reporting a Smart Event error message

It telling you your hard drive is on its way out. You can try running a check disk and see if that helps. But to be on the safe side you should back up your personal files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-is-reporting-a-smart-event-error-message.199432/
Relevancy 26.23%

So over the last few days my Samsung laptop has been putting itself into standby mode without any Samsung warning standby into going mode without Laptop warning And I for the life of me cannot figure out why All options to turn off the computer have been set to Samsung Laptop going into standby mode without warning never while it s plugged in so it s not that I suspected it was the laptop overheating for awhile but I ve got SpeedFan running and with the latest shut down the core temperatures were only around degrees Celsius I ve seen it run up to degrees when I really pushed it to investigate how hot it got and that didn t prompt any response at all except Samsung Laptop going into standby mode without warning for the fan speeding up and the laptop cooled down pretty fast when I let up on what I was doing Is there any other reason the laptop would shut down like this I m not the most computer smart in the world when it comes to the internal workings so any help would be appreciated Potentially relevant things Samsung laptop NP V C Radeon graphics card Intel core i Windows OS nbsp

A:Samsung Laptop going into standby mode without warning

Do you have all standby options shut off, like when closing the lid?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-laptop-going-into-standby-mode-without-warning.198956/
Relevancy 21.93%

I issue An logins with user have a former company PC Earlier I was attempting to remove the company An issue with user logins domain from it so that I didn t have to An issue with user logins log in as the previous user every time just to get to the desktop So I changed the computer name right click my computer properties computer name I then clicked on Network ID and set to this computer is for An issue with user logins home use and then it went wrong I restarted the computer as instructed and tried to log on as the user as before but it is telling me the password is incorrect The username is correct and so is the password It s clear that whatever I did with the Network ID has caused this I have logged on as administrator but need to access the other user due to the saved files on there etc Can someone help me revert back access that user account from admin Is there a way to completely detach the PC from the previous domain so that it is like a normal home PC with no log in Thank You nbsp

A:An issue with user logins

Administrator account has permission to access files from other users. Just go to the C:/Users section or whatever.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/an-issue-with-user-logins.198449/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Windows 7 computer wired into my home network. It has a printer attached to it that I have set to share. I have a windows 7 laptop and an XP laptop. Both 7 machines can see open the shared drives on the XP machine but when I try to access the shared drives of either 7 machine from any of the other machines I am asked to give a User ID and a password. This is a private Home network. I have no passwords set up on any of the machines. I'm trying to set up the printer on the two laptops and I can't access it without the User ID Password window popping up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

A:Home Network asking for user ID and password

This is all normal operation for print/file sharing. If you really want sharing without using passwords (imo a security risk), then you need to google for "anonymous sharing"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-asking-for-user-id-and-password.194484/
Relevancy 33.11%

Simply put, my uncle using the internet and I want to limit the bandwidth he can use, he basically downloads all the time and it means I get either really high latency (when I play games) or I have to wait with buffering (while watching streams/youtube videos etc).

I'm only really looking to limit his speed so that I don't have any of these problems anymore.

Using the router; "Wireless-N 150 ADSL2+ Modern Router model; DGN1000".

A:How to limit someone's bandwidth on my Router? (Netgear)

Lookup the manual for that router and find the QoS information.

You can then set the QoS to downgrade streaming video and leave everything else alone. It WILL impact all streaming video however.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-limit-someones-bandwidth-on-my-router-netgear.194056/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a Dell Studio 1737 Windows Vista Home 64 Service Pack 2. All of my drivers are up to date and I have the most recent BIOS.

I get this error message in my event viewer a couple of time an hour:

Source: ACPI
Event ID: 13

: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

Also, when my computer is unplugged from the AC and running on battery power the system lags a lot and after about 15 minutes its turns off without warning.

I feel like this is all connected. Any advice?

Thank you!

A:ACPI error Event ID 13

This could be caused by a failing hard drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acpi-error-event-id-13.190645/
Relevancy 33.54%

Im only asking this because I have a computer that should be able to take 3 gigs of ram. But for some reason all the ram ive tried in it only read as 128 *which could be possible cuz the ram was from old systems* but I just got a 512 stick of ram for it but when it came it reads 128mb as well. They could have sent me the wrong thing but now im wondering if for some reason there was a limit set on it somehow. So im just wondering if thats possible.

A:Can you force a RAM limit through BIOS?

Do not just buy RAM randomly, you must know the exact model. Try running this utility: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/
The utility will tell you what ram to purchase and the maximum it can hold. What is the model of the PC because there may be a BIOS issue if it is a newer more than old PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-you-force-a-ram-limit-through-bios.187403/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello Everyone errors event DNS client I m have a problem on my newer computer that I would like DNS client event errors to know if anyone could give me hand trying to figure out DNS client event errors Now this is not an error that is preventing the computer from working But I get an error in the Event viewer constantly Just makes me think that there is something wrong Error is as follows Log Name System Source Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client Date AM Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords User NETWORK SERVICE Computer Jay-PC Description There was an error while attempting to read the local hosts file Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client quot Guid quot C E- EEA- A -A FE-A B DDB D quot gt lt EventID gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt Jay-PC lt Computer gt lt Security UserID quot S- - - quot gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data Name quot ErrorCode quot gt lt Data gt lt Data Name quot Location quot gt lt Data gt lt Data Name quot Context quot gt lt Data gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt Like I said earlier If anyone can give me a hand with this I would greatly appreciate it Also Im sorry if I m posting this in the wrong Forum Topic Wasn t sure what sub topic I was supposed to put it under Thanks nbsp

A:DNS client event errors

Easiest approach is to delete the host file
\windows\system32\drivers\etc contains hosts

you need ADMIN privileges
First stop the client by getting a cmd prompt and enter net stop "dns client" (exactly as shown)
now cd to \windows\system32\drivers\etc

del hosts
then recreate it using echo "" >hosts
(that is two consecutive double-quotes without anything between)

now you should clear the event viewer log containing the error and follow up with
net start "dns client"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-client-event-errors.186735/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hey guys and gals I m back after a while with a new project With Black Friday coming up in a little more than a month I m looking to help a friend of mine build an entry level gaming desktop He wants a computer to comfortably be able to play games especially Total War strategy games like Napoleon or Rome His budget is around CAD Located in Manitoba build Entry-level gaming Canada with no current build Mainly looking to buy off of NCIX com and newegg ca Also needs periphirals including monitor speakers mouse mouse pad and keyboard Has not bought any components yet He already has a copy of Windows With our current pick of the CPU we think Entry-level gaming build to opt out of an after market cooler for budget reasons silence is not really a priority ASRock B M-DGS LGA Intel B SATA Gb s USB Micro ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core i - Ivy Bridge GHz LGA W Dual-Core Desktop Entry-level gaming build Processor Entry-level gaming build G SKILL GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F - CL D- GBNQ XFX FX- A-ZNP Radeon HD Core Edition GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready Video Card Western Digital WD Blue WD AAKX GB RPM SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS - - OEM Antec NEO ECO C W Continuous Power ATX V v EPS V PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply COOLER MASTER HAF RC- -KKN Black SECC ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ASUS VE Series VE T Black quot LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor w Speakers Logitech Wireless Combo MK - Black USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard and Mouse SUBTOTAL with taxes and shipping Now let me expand on some of the choices we made as you might notice our build is strongly built around the guides found here on techspot Motherboard Seems like a decent choice I have an ASRock myself so why not CPU It s the one suggested by techspot However with some of the package deals found at NCIX com I d strongly opt for something like this for NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Intel Core i CPU amp MSI Z A-G DDR CrossFire Motherboard RAM Just your standard RAM I guess Does he need GB GPU This is where I feel the largest wiggle room and I m hopping that I will be able to snatch a hot deal on Black Friday like a or maybe even a Hoping being able to buy everything else at a discount will allow the wiggle room here Currently we have a quot screen but might as well go for a p screen if we are able to snatch a deal Storage Shooting for and already seen TB drives on NCIX com for that price so it s a place holder really PSU W with the build listed above seems appropriate With changing CPU and GPU this will obviously adjusted Case Just want something clean and that gets the job done no special affiliation Monitor With a this monitor seems good to game at x Again the monitor is such a wiggle object where I will need to make decisions once the deals actually roll out Peripherals Logitech leads the way So if you really read through all of this THANK YOU I realize this build is really quot wiggly quot but as that build stands currently let me know what you think or where you see issues Sincerely baN nbsp

A:Entry-level gaming build

The i5 3450 goes for $210 by itself so I'd say that's a great bundle deal for $250, it's only $50 more than the i3 + mobo you picked. RTS games are usually quite heavy on the CPU so a proper quad core would definitely help.

Considering the price of RAM nowadays you should really go for 8GB, it's only $10 more than 4GB. Also a 2x2GB kit would be a pain to upgrade, with 2x4GB you can just pop in another 2x4GB for 16GB of RAM if your friend ever needs it.

If you can get a 7850 or 660 for cheap then those will pretty much play all games at max or high settings, a 7750 is a bit weak.

The HAF cases are great for airflow but a bit loud. You might want to consider a quieter case since the build won't generate that much heat.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/entry-level-gaming-build.186150/
Relevancy 27.09%

Well I ve just spent the past hour or so trying to chill out and relaxing by trying to play some Call of Duty on my laptop computer quot Trying quot is my key word here because for whatever reason or reasons the darn thing in game turns My without warning! off, itself laptop is turning itself off without warning I get about - maps into the game which is approx something like - minutes in and the thing shuts itself off I know for a fact this isn t an issue that my laptop s hardware is bellow the requirements for the game Toshiba x- dual SLi Nvidia GeForce M GT s MB s each Intel Core Duo T My laptop turns itself off, without warning! G s GB s of system RAM Realtek High Definition My laptop turns itself off, without warning! Audio Sound Card Windows Vista My laptop turns itself off, without warning! Ultimate -bit I m well over in almost every area the games requirements but even with that the game or the computer shuts itself off I m thinking this could be heat related I ve got the thing resting atop a nice dual fan laptop cooling tray I did notice possibly one of it s exhaust vents might have been blocked a little by a printer I had stationed pretty close to it I moved the laptop away from that printer about another - inches or so and try d the game again same thing about minutes into it the thing shut itself off Upon firing it up again I ran the stock Toshiba diagnostic tool no problems detected I then checked the hard drive no problems found I then ran CCleaner and checked the registry no errors found Lastly I went into the Administration control panel to view the event log and see if Widows was reporting anything in there is wasn t no sudden crashing type errors were reported This baffles me no errors anywhere and it keeps turning itself off whenever playing Call of Duty Maybe it s my setup I do have my laptop via HDMI hooked up to my Samsung inch LCD television with the television set to quot game mode quot maybe there s something screw y with the setup The computer behaves when in normal operations web browsing You Tube watching VLC media playback Windows Media Player playback it all checks out fine Anyone got any recommendations or thoughts nbsp

A:My laptop turns itself off, without warning!

Sounds like it could be overheating. The best thing to do will be to load up something like CPUID's HWMonitor, fire it up and check the temps whilst gaming.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-turns-itself-off-without-warning.184526/
Relevancy 21.5%

I?ve never had to set the BIOS password, but the kids are growing up and I need to lock access to my PC.

My Bios has two Password Options: Supervisor and User.

The Supervisor password was accepted, and before I attempt to change the BIOS settings, the Supervisor password is asked for.

Then I set the user password.

However, when I boot up the PC, I am not asked for any password and windows loads as usual.

What am I missing?

The BIOS is Award Software International, Inc. F4 HI 07/03/2007

A:Unable to set BIOS user password

Do you have the option mentioned below?

Setting a BIOS Password

Now you'll want to set your system to ask for that password every time it boots, so select the BIOS FEATURES SETUP option, to see a menu something like this:

Fairly obviously, it's the Password Check option we're interested in, so select it and change the setting to ALWAYS.

etc....Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-set-bios-user-password.183774/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi All,
I have seagate 1.5TB external HD out of warranty a couple months ago(have it for 2 years). Today, I just checked HD tune, it shows health: warning because of reallocated sector count and spin retry count. So I just do the seatools test: I ran short driver self test pass, short generic: pass. I ran Long generic pass. Could someone tell me that should I worry or do something about it?Thanks for any helps!

A:Drive has warning in HD tune, passes Seatools -- should I worry?

You should always worry about your data. I have had hdds pass manufacturers diags and end up failing shortly thereafter, other pass and are fine for years. Keep in mind: the failure rate of hard drives is 100%, it's not a matter of IF it will fail, but WHEN. If it is a primary drive in your computer, then I would purchase a new one and clone the data to the new one. Keep the possible failing drive for non-trivial data, or put it into a system that is not as important/does not need backed up. Hope this gets you going in the right direction. Take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drive-has-warning-in-hd-tune-passes-seatools-should-i-worry.180408/
Relevancy 34.4%

I would like to purchase the MSI - Big Bang X Power II for my Thermaltake Level 10 GT, but I'm concerned if it is compatible.

A:Can XL-ATX fit in the Thermaltake Level 10 GT?

Yes the motherboard will fit into that case. The power supply you choose will be the most important part...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-xl-atx-fit-in-the-thermaltake-level-10-gt.180478/
Relevancy 25.8%

Sorry I wasn t exactly sure where to post this thread I looked up how to remove this warning that keeps coming up on this forum earlier and followed the procedure someone posted about renaming a file called TWARNMSG EXE i couldn t find that file and as the problems and the make of laptop were slightly different I thought I d post my issue My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro C - W and I have a message that keeps coming up every seconds headed quot System Warning quot and reads quot Warning A problem with the cooling system has been detected C660-16W cooling Pro warning system -- Satellite Repetitive Toshiba Next Line Please turn off the computer immediately and return it for service quot I have had this warning coming up for months and tolerated it but it has gotten worse and annoyed me for the last time I can hear the fan and the computer is not over heating No other issues arise like the computer slowing down it just gets in the way of what I am doing like typing right now As I have typed it s already popped up - times Please help soon this is preventing me from gaming and even other things by now Thanks nbsp

A:Repetitive cooling system warning -- Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-16W

I'm going to have your thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Please stay subscribed.

Note: TWarnMsg twarnmsg.exe > Toshiba System Warning Function for Windows 98, Me, 2000 - provides notification dialog when the cooling fan stops ...

This is a valid program, but it is up to you whether or not you want it to run on startup.
---------------------------------------
There are some rogue programs that give fake alerts or 'critical system messages.' But this isn't one of them. It is specific to the brand of system you have. It might be that someone in the other forum has another idea- but my suggestion would be to take it to a show and have them open and clean out the box.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/repetitive-cooling-system-warning-toshiba-satellite-pro-c660-16w.179374/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hey guys every time i restart my laptop it wipes all the user profiles, leaves one and wipes all the custom settings on that profile. I have no idea and any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

A:User profiles deleted on start up

This might be caused by a virus or other malware infection, a corrupt hard drive or Windows itself is corrupt... Can you do a destructive laptop restore? This is a way that the laptop is put back just like it was when you turned it on when you first bought it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profiles-deleted-on-start-up.175534/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello,

I have a linksys WAG200G router. I would like to set a limit for my wireless bandwidth as i am sharing it with another partner. I have his MAC address.

I tried doing it using my router but it seems that it won't work. I was thinking of any softwares that can help me.

If you have any other solutions, i will be glad to hear it from you.

Regards

A:How to limit wireless bandwidth?

Look for the QoS settings in the router. They discriminate on the services, not the user
eg: lower bandwidth for ICQ, P2P, Stream, Facebook, BitTorrent ....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-limit-wireless-bandwidth.173596/
Relevancy 21.93%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello everybody, I have a home network with about 3 computer connected. I am using a laptop and when ever I use the net view command in cmd, I can only view my laptop. Why can't I see the other 2 computer?

All the computer have Win. 7 Home Premium Installed. Is there a way to send messages to those computers within the network, without the use of 3rd party applications... Perhaps by cmd?

I know you can, but I am unsure how.

A:Net view/net user

examples

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view $SYSTEM_NAME
Shared resources at $SYSTEM_NAME
[B]lt-beard[/B]

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
Italy-1 Disk
Italy-2 Disk
RealEstate Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view emac
Shared resources at emac

Mac OS X

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
homes Disk User Home Directories
i860 Print Canon i860
jeff Disk User Home Directories
MP470 series Print Canon MP470 series
It should be clear that NET VIEW SYSTEM is dependent upon getting Print/File Sharing working correctly.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>[B]net user jeff[/B]
User name Jeff
Full Name Jeff
Comment primary user(LUA)
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active Yes
Account expires Never

blah blah ...

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon 9/2/2011 10:55 AM

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Users
Global Group memberships *None

Would appear to be Policy settings for the user

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/net-view-net-user.170621/
Relevancy 21.07%

Okay here is the story My laptop has a ton of valuable information on it recently my Norton protection ran out and was unable to renew it Well somebody hacked my system and now I have a ton of viruses trojans and malware So I was still able to use my Copy to drive external profile user entire hard PC for internet usage and my music still played in Windows Media Player So all in all my laptop still worked Now today I go to turn on my laptop and it will not boot up at all I can t even system restore or repair it with windows repair However I do need to back up my files and since my hard drive is what is wrong in the first place I think it might be better instead of copying the entire hard drive to my terabyte external hard drive if it would make more sense just to copy my entire user profile onto my external I am wondering if this is possible i have heard of LiveCD s and Parted Magic from this forum But I am wondering if I can just back up all of my files that way If I can back up all of my files like that I might save money instead of taking to a repairman and just fix it myself So is it possible to copy and back-up the entire user profile of a laptop that will not boot up to an external hard drive Basically I want to copy the entire contents of my User Profile on Vista onto an external drive so I can use my reboot CD to reboot my laptop without losing any of my files and folders or Copy entire user profile to external hard drive anything for that Copy entire user profile to external hard drive matter I figure the best way to do that would be to copy the user profile so all the contents of that profile would go onto my external Then I reboot my computer and put Copy entire user profile to external hard drive the User Profile back on Simple nbsp

A:Copy entire user profile to external hard drive

Have you tried a repair install? If that is possible that will leave your files intact.. It is a good idea to back on a regular basis anyway.

The other possibility is connecting your hard drive as a slave drive on another pc.

If the repair install is not possible there are a number of ways using boot cd's to access your data.

Here is one solution that is free and should do what you want
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copy-entire-user-profile-to-external-hard-drive.169549/
Relevancy 33.54%

Well I have this HP pavilion that I really want to upgrade, I want to start doing some gaming on it but I don't want to spend that much because I feel like I won't even keep this computer for that long anyway.

Gpu: Integrated Nvidia GeForce 6150SE
Psu : 300 watts
Ram : 3gb ddr2
Mobo : M2N68-LA (Narra3)

My model number is: A6430f

I know that I should probably upgrade the Psu first but I can't buy both the Gpu and Psu at the moment.

If I were to upgrade my Gpu would that be able to run on this computer? I probably will just end up, upgrading my PC anyways but I would like to know.

Thank you.

A:Will a Radeon HD 5570 run with my PSU limit?

It looks like the card is powered by the motherboard. You shouldn't need a new power supply because the video card doesn't have any external power requirements.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-a-radeon-hd-5570-run-with-my-psu-limit.168558/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I have a lynksis wrt400n wireless router. I noticed today that there is a user named 'scotty-PC' in my network.

I do have it password protected.

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to shut off the wireless if that is possible. My wife and I are both hardwired into the router anyways.

How do I go about shutting off the wireless signal from the router?

Thank you in advance!

A:Need help with unknown user in my network

use your browser to reconfig the router - - use the IP address 193.168.1.1 as a URL
login: leave user name empty, password is admin
(obviously this needs to be changed too - - read on)

the Users Guide is here

Option one would be to DISABLE the radio - - read thru to find that

Option two would be to use WiFi Mac Filtering; -- pg 14
This option will allows ONLY defined systems access, so set a dummy, like the MAC
address of your wired NIC

Before you quit, DISABLE remote management on port 8080
and CHANGE that admin password

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-unknown-user-in-my-network.164009/
Relevancy 33.11%

My HP a6635 has an AMD Phenom X3 8550 CPU and recently I have noticed that at random moments when I'm using my CPU its usage level stays at around 90%-100% however the RAM usage stays at 45%.

To ensure that it wasn't because of a demanding program running I checked in Task Manager there were no Programs running and only a few processes were using the CPU.

At startup a cmd type window appears titled C:Users/username/AppData/Roaming/svhost.exe it stays for a while then more text appears then the window closes.

Please help.

A:AMD Phenom X3 8550's usage level stays at 100%

Time to check for a virus or other malware infection. Free Comodo Internet Security and Superantispyware are good to start and stay with

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-phenom-x3-8550s-usage-level-stays-at-100.163927/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi, well i really dont know anything about computers what so ever, but for a few days now, my Acer Laptop has been shutting down when theres 19% left of the battery, or 20 minutes without warning. Usually it gives me a low battery warning when theres 13 minutes left, then a critical battery waning at 7-8 minutes left.
(copied off from the sticker on the bottom right)
-Windows 7
-AMD Athion II X2 processor P340
-ATI Mobility Radeion Hd 4250

I hope those ^^ help, thanks.

ps. ive only had it for about 3 months, well since christmas

A:Laptop dies at 19% without a 'low battery' warning. Help?

click start / windows
type power options and select it
select change plan settings on your current power plan
click change advanced power settings
go to battery
check the low and critical battery level and actions.

if those aren't set in 20% it probably means your battery is out of calibration.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-dies-at-19-without-a-low-battery-warning-help.162040/
Relevancy 21.5%

I ll try to shorten this some I was having some problems that I determined were either caused by the hard drive corrupted WinXP Media Version or my RAM I ran MEM Test user paste Can't switch copy can't and and it failed so I replaced the RAM with one G Can't switch user can't copy and paste stick That solved several issues I still had an issue with switching users I had the computer set up for users with myself as the admin My partition is that what it s called works just fine but if I log into one of the other three it will not allow shutdown restart log off or change user It forces me to do a hard shutdown I decided that my OS may be corrupted so I took the opportunity to install a bigger faster HD and installed WinXP Pro The problem did not go away This doesn t make sense to me What else could cause this I also have a new problem Sometimes the copy and paste feature will just quit working It seems to copy but then the Paste will not quot light up quot when I right click in the program I want to use Could this be driver related nbsp

A:Can't switch user can't copy and paste

It's possible that the group policy is keeping the regular users from doing things like log off, or shutdown. You may want to check what the settings are or put all those users into a single group and give them the proper permissions to do whatever you want.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-switch-user-cant-copy-and-paste.159642/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi!

So I would need help setting up my LAN and limiting the network speed (max dl/ul).

Are there some kind of programs or something for that? -I have tried NetLimiter but with it I can only limit the "bridging" computers upload and download and not the different network cards speeds.

The limitations has to be made on this computer (aka wannaB server) and not on the separate computers that are connected to it.

Network cards:
Oliv - needs to be limited to max download ~150kB/s and upload 25kB/s (this one is connected even if it says it's not)
Switch - no need to limit or anything
ADSL Modem - as it says, this is where the interweb comes from

A:How could I limit network speed between different "cards"?

What OS the Pro or Home? If you got the Pro you can go into Group Policy and make some bandwidth restrictions. By default it's 20%. You can raise that up higher. Under QoS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-could-i-limit-network-speed-between-different-cards.159517/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello peeps.

So this morning I got a warning regarding my 500GB Hitachi hard disk, regarding the relocated sector count.

I wont img tag the picture, as its 1280x800 pixels, but the link to it is here. I found making it any smaller from its original 1680x1050 size just made it unreadable.

Should I be worried about this kind of warning? As of a couple of days ago I moved my entire linux setup to this hard disk, and I'm still moving all my files from temp storage to where they should be in my /home partition, but I'm kinda worried its now going to fail on me.

Whats your thoughts peeps? Am I good to go, or should I be ordering a new HDD as soon as practically possible?

P.S. If this fails it'll be my first ever HDD failure! :haha:

A:I have a SMART status warning - Not sure if it's bad or not

Four bad sectors reported. If I got this warning, I would replace it. You could run the linux equivalent of chkdsk afterward to see if you can salvage the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-a-smart-status-warning-not-sure-if-its-bad-or-not.157348/
Relevancy 26.23%

For the last couple of days I've been getting repeat messages that my C:\ drive is failing and that I should back it up and take my computer to a repair shop and get it diagnosed and fixed.

When I try to run the backup programme it fails as it cannot create an image on an NTFS formatted drive, well they all are so what am I to do?

A:Windows 7 warning me hard disk is failing

So I just ran a proprietory Registry Booster programme (Uniblue 2010) and it's telling me I have a high level of registry errors that it can fix for only 19.95 or 29.95 if I want a bundle of stuff.

Link (OK???) - http://www.liutilities.com/products/campaigns/dstrial/cross/fromds/rb/null/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-warning-me-hard-disk-is-failing.156547/
Relevancy 33.97%

Hi,
I have an Asus A8N-E with 4 GB Ram, a FX-57 processor @ 2.88ghz, Radeon HD 4850 (512MB) and using Windows 7. When I try playing newer games, like Sniper: Ghost Warrior, I only get about 10 FPS. Does this sound about right for such a set up?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

A:Has my set up reached its limit?

I would suggest a new processor, along with a new mobo of course(I dont even think they make mobos that color anymore).

Are you already looking? Do you have a price range in mind?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/has-my-set-up-reached-its-limit.154689/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have someone who is experiencing random connection problems on the clients such as slow or no connections to mapped network shares. Event id 10009 keeps being recorded in the domain controller logs.

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer MARK-PC.pmc.local using any of the configured protocols.

It has a range of different computer names within the same events. As far as DCOM is configured it's only setup to use TCP-IP.

Server - Windows Server 2008 Standard FE
System type: 64-bit Operating System

Clients:
24 XP Pro
2 Vista Pro
2 Vista Home (should they be using home in an environment like this?)

I have attached the last 256 logs from Application & System as of yesterday evening at around 5pm'ish. I've checked again this morning and looks like the same error has already been re-occurring.

Can anyone give me any suggestion as to where to go with this?

Thanks.

A:Event ID: 10009 DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <computer name>

Extra Info

Sorry I forgot to also mention that the server is acting as a DHCP server and that there router has had DHCP disabled. Client PC'S are set to local static IP'S and are not actually set to obtain if this has any variance.

Thanks, David

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/event-id-10009-dcom-was-unable-to-communicate-with-the-computer-computer-name.147932/
Relevancy 52.89%

I d posted in another part of techspot about a problem that it finally turned out was a slowly very slowly dying hard disk that I d had as my D drive for data and documents etc on an XP SP system gig memory Pentium GHz Not wanting to again be so vulnerable to losing my data I thought I d try a RAID configuration I went cheap yes in event viewer errors on copies RAID large and often a mistake I know with an Addonics ADSA PCI controller card that supported software RAID Once I got past the bad documentation - the installation guide started with the driver installation then the next step said quot do this part first if you re configuring RAID RAID errors on large copies and in event viewer quot and described a procedure where several things were to be installed BEFORE the card was - things never really got going smoothly I got RAID running and thought that for sake of ease I d just copy my data roughly gigs from the single drive that had it to the new RAID setup The old drive I had relettered to Q and the new array was D this was done before I configured RAID and formatted the new drives So I went to Q and selected all highlighting all top-level files and folders and their subcontents copied then went to D and pasted Every time I tried this within - minutes I d have a BSOD either a kernel stack or a kernel data inpage error The time it seemed to work best I d moved about gigs in some files So is that a problem with the RAID or with Windows and its copy function Obviously I don t typically copy that much data using copy and paste but I ve done it before without problems Ultimately I used an image of my data and restored that image onto D and all worked well And the computer has been stable now for almost hours since all this happened There ve been two exceptions One was that twice on restart XP has launched chkdsk on C my boot drive not the RAIDed data drive The first time this happened I d had to do a force restart after a lockup on a mass copy attempt so I could have accepted this becuase of the abnormal ending The second time though was after a smooth Windows restart that I did when installing some Windows updates a NET service pack that had been pushed to me after I had to install NET as part of the required RAID utility package that came with the controller card Since I m almost never asked to run chkdsk and when I am I usually understand why this bothers me The other is that I have gotten several event viewer errors related to the new RAID array A few were at a time when I had restarted Windows smooth and normal Windows restart and it went to the login screen fine and stayed that way overnight Others have occurred invisible to me when I m on the PC Here s the most recent one Event Type Error Event Source SiSRaid Event Category None Event ID Date Time PM User N A Computer XP Description The device Device Scsi SiSRaid did not respond within the timeout period For more information see Help and Support Center at http go microsoft com fwlink events asp Data f h c a Is this stuff normal Should I be worried Pre-RAID I d go weeks usually but often months with no errors ever in my event viewer nbsp

A:RAID errors on large copies and in event viewer

So I went to Q:\ and selected all (highlighting all top-level files and folders, and their subcontents), copied, then went to D:\ and pasted.Click to expand...

Ouch! The technique of copy/paste is more likely to cause issues than anything else, especially on large size transfers.

Empty the Raid target
Select the top-level-folders
drag-n-drop onto the Raid Drive letter

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-errors-on-large-copies-and-in-event-viewer.151764/
Relevancy 21.5%

Explanation:

Ok so I work in a small office and I have a networked printer that takes user numbers for passwords to print. This way we can keep track of print jobs and charge the employees accordingly. This user # is setup thru printer preferences. Normally only one user # is required for each computer as each employee has their own computer. Well there are two open computers at my office that anyone can use, these two have their own user #'s.

Question:

What i'd like to do is set it up so these open computers prompt for a user number before being able to print instead of having a user # saved under the preferences. Is this possible?

Relevant information:

Computers - Windows Xp Pro sp3
Server - Windows server 2003
Printer - Sharp Mx-6200N

Thank for any help regarding this situation.

A:Prompting for user # on a network printer

hmm; this is a commercial Charge Back process. Home users would hardly ever need or want
something like this.
I would think you would find such options in the software you are using to capture the user#,
likely on your Domain Controller ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prompting-for-user-on-a-network-printer.150482/
Relevancy 26.23%

A friend of mine from another forum just posted this:

A warning for anyone looking to buy a new Sony laptop. I spent six hours today with Sony's online chat and phone support only to find out I discovered a major bug in the latest Sony VAIO.

The new model is VPC-EE23FX/T. I got it at Walmart last night for my boss who just trashed his old Sony. Because of some sort of bug in Sony's recovery wizard this model can not be customized. In my case I uninstalled office 2010 but when restarting the recovery wizard pops up and forces a recovery wiping out changes I had made. Sony couldn't say what other changes may trigger the recovery wizard and wipe out user data. Until this problem can be fixed suggest avoiding this model.Click to expand...

Has anyone else who owns this model experienced this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warning-for-owners-of-the-latest-sony-vaio-laptop.148621/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi, I have 8 GB Ram installed on my computer. But I can only use 2 GB! I Have Windows 7 Enterprise 32-BIt
When i right click "Computer" under "start", I click proberties and a windows pops up with some of my system information. When I go down I see:
"Installed Memory (Ram): 8,00 GB (2,00 GB can only be used)
And when I go to taskmanager it also says 2046 MB of ram!

I think It has something to do with 32-Bit...
I've read that 32-bit only can have up to 4 GB Ram and 64-bit 128 gb ram!
But still, I can only use 2 GB Ram and i want to use 4 GB without Installaing 64-bit. Or 3 GB ram would also be great if I could get that!

A:Windows 7 Enterprise RAM limit

Weird, should show 3GB.

Why not go to 64-bit, you'd be able to make use of all 8GB that way.

Most 32-bit programs will still work. I can't think of any programs which don't, but if you do have vital 32-bit programs might be worth checking out if they'd work.

Btw, why did you get 8GB of RAM?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-enterprise-ram-limit.148091/
Relevancy 33.54%

Before doing a recent fresh install of XP Pro SP I had done some tweak don t remember the details and it had tweaked many things including the mysterious TCP IP connection limit I have searched on google and have found mixed recommendations some experts recommending not Help limit connection the remove of TCP/IP to mess with it while some recommending solutions but have only been able to find it for Vista not XP Since the fresh install and all updates installed I have been regularly getting the following in the event viewer Event Type Warning Event Source Tcpip Event Category None Event ID Date -May- Time AM User N A Help remove the connection limit of TCP/IP Computer mylaptop Description TCP IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts For more information see Help and Support Center at I can say for sure that my internet connection is not giving me the download performance what I was getting prior to the new install The download speed that I am not getting is simply frustrating Can someone please help me tweak remove the TCP IP connection limit so that I can avail the full potential of what my bandwidth really has to offer Ideal situation would be if you can pls recommend a tool which does all the hidden tweaks nbsp

A:Help remove the connection limit of TCP/IP

the connection limit has nothing to do with download bandwidth.

the connection limit is 10 concurrent shares being accesses at the same time.
a client user does not (should not) need more.

the Windows Servers use many more than than to support large companies.

I think you are looking for Network Tweaks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-remove-the-connection-limit-of-tcp-ip.146710/
Relevancy 21.5%

What software to use, user friendly. Take *.avi movie covert and burn it so it will play on a dvd with a splash screen (menu) title to play movie and title(2) to include a small video clip of myself including a a message.

Was trying to use DeVeDe but I am having trouble with title 2 being authoritative with my video and both titles go straight to the movie. DeveDe is for Ubuntu but let me know of software for ubuntu or windows xp

A:User friendly video to dvd with menu

Rather use a windows xp app anyways and I am sure, much more. ubuntu machine not as powerful for decoding videos, or this devede program, audio came out of sync and still had the title allocation issue. I really want to get my video message in the dvd menu.

thanks !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-friendly-video-to-dvd-with-menu.143608/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Hi

laptop keyboards are delicate at the best of times, any liquid spilt into it will dry and cause this issue,

you can use an external keyboard and see if it does this, you will have to remove the keyboard from the laptop, this is usually done by removing some screws and then undoing the ribbon connector from the board, or by unclipping the keyboard from the housing and disconnecting the ribbon cable.

keyboard go for about 15 on ebay dependant on who is selling it, dont try and repair it you will be wasting your time.

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142568/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Probably your notebook's keyboard shorted out when you spilled water on it.

I would advise you to leave your notebook alone for few days to dry out completely and see if the shorting sorts itself out. Otherwise, you may end up having to replace the keyboard; for which you'll be better off consulting an technician.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142569/
Relevancy 33.54%

Im setting up my office and I only want my employees to access certain sites. I know there are web "filters" but they can always be bypassed. Is there a way to say ok you can go on these 3 sites exp www.Mapquest.com ect. And they are only able to access that without admin rights?

A:Limit web site access

Our local library uses a quite draconian filter system that can block by keyword or url; anything blocked pops up an "access denied" screen that can only be overridden with a password and access code. It would probably be fairly simple to have it block everything except a few chosen sites.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limit-web-site-access.142431/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey guys I m new to the forums but hoping you lot can help I recently upgraded my gfx to a gtx frequently off turns without PC randomly warning zotac synergy edition from a gt all was PC randomly turns off frequently without warning going well until roughly last Sunday I was playing dawn of war and the pc turned itself off I figured must PC randomly turns off frequently without warning be a one off turned it on everything worked fine the last few days though whenever I try to run a game of decent quality e g gta mirrors edge mass effect even l d the pc turns off after a few minutes playing When I run normal programs such as the Internet and streaming videos the whole system is stable and runs fine just when gaming it goes off I m stumped to be honest it may be a psu failing or the motherboard I m not sure Atm I m running sata hdds gbs ddr ram a q and the gtx psu is a xpower w sli ready if anyone can help it would be gratefully appreciated nbsp

A:PC randomly turns off frequently without warning

Well, this generally happens for 2 reasons:

1.) High temperatures. Check your GPU and CPU temperatures and ensure that they are within their rated / acceptable limits.

2.) Power surge and lack of power protection device. Recently I removed my UPS and connected the PC to a cheap surge suppressor. I had exactly the same issue as you are having now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-randomly-turns-off-frequently-without-warning.141696/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi guys.I'm new here.And I'have got some problem with my Son's PC.
Soentium 4 with HT 3.4 ghz
Mobo: ASUS P5N32-E SLI.nForce 680i
Graphic Card: Nvidia Geforce 7950 gt
Cooller:Zelman.
memory:corsair-DDR2-1024mb,pc2-6400(400Mhz)
So I have this:
Warning H/W monitor status abnormal.
not Overclocked all settings on Auto
Vcore voltage 4.16v in red
3.3v voltage 4.08 in red
5v voltage 6.85 in red
12v Voltage 16.32 in red
and My CPU temp showing:

Cpu temp (-) 128 C
M/B temp (-) 128 C
and I think it's overheating a little bit,but it works,but Slow.
I though it's My PSU(400 W) ,so I changed it with 450W and I got absolutely same message .Is Any one know what I should do with that???

A:Warning h/w monitor status abnormal

a few things here that don't ring true, try these steps

1) download this and see if you get the same readings
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
2) check your BIOS temp reading
3) the system should shut down way before it reaches 128c(that's 264F) and double the temp range of that CPU
4) the fact that the CPU and MB temp are exactly the same is strange.....where on HW monitor do you see MB temp?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warning-h-w-monitor-status-abnormal.139931/
Relevancy 21.07%

A user has been using her laptop for several years and uses Outlook for her POP3 email.
When we installed a server and joined her laptop to the domain she was unable to see her email without logging out of the server and logging back into her local account.
How do I let her domain profile be the same as her local profile?

A:User loses access to outlook email after being joined to domain

You can't, it's considered as a different user. Just take the settings from Outlook and import them into the other account name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-loses-access-to-outlook-email-after-being-joined-to-domain.134427/
Relevancy 27.09%

hi i have a compaq presario v5000
it shuts down without warning and no blue screen
i dont think its an heat issue as im using a lapcool cooling pad

can anybody help

A:Laptop shuts down without warning

Cooling pads work great, I have one on mine.
But you still need to blow compressed air through the computer occasionally as the pad tends to blow dust into the PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-shuts-down-without-warning.133414/
Relevancy 21.5%

Ive got an Acer 7250g and it was working fine until today.When i turn it on i get "User profile service failed the logon" i cant sign in or do anything-help please.

A:User profile service failed the logon

Welcome to Techspot
If you haven't already done so, this may be a grat place to start and get the 'feel' of this forum,
http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu31.html
The following link may help solve your login problem,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profile-service-failed-the-logon.133880/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey there I m new to this I purchased a computer from MDG and fried my power supply and motherboard and CPU has my changed mobo Replaced have warning: I found another power supply and peplaced the old one and found an identical biostar m -m mobo and switched that up as well thinking it would just boot as normal When I started up I get Intel R Pentium R GHZ x k OK M TSeg memory Intel R Pentium R CPU GHZHyper-Threading Technology CPU Detected Hyper-Threading Technolgy Enabled DDR DIMM Speed PCI Express Slot x Lane Widths IDE Channel Master Optiarc DVD RW AD- a IDE Channel Slave None IDE Replaced my mobo and have warning: CPU has changed Channel Master None IDE Channel Slave None Replaced my mobo and have warning: CPU has changed Sata Device None Sata Device None Floppy disk s fail Warning CPU has been changed or CPU Ratio changed fail Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before Press F to Enable system Configuration Press F to Select Booting Deviceafter POST Press F to continue DEL to enter SETUP -P M - a- a l B C- Now I have no idea what to do The Mobo looked to be identical and same model but I noticed the board was blue instead of green and PCI slots were Orange instead of white but all in all looked the same Any ideas to avoid paying a hefty sum to take it into a computer shop and dumping a whole whack of money I don t have Plus I love learning Any suggestions would be appreciated Thank you Bill nbsp

A:Replaced my mobo and have warning: CPU has changed

Have you entered the BIOS and set the optimized defaults ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replaced-my-mobo-and-have-warning-cpu-has-changed.133355/
Relevancy 26.23%

I changed monitors on an XP computer and had it working fine until I changed the resolution to something this computer OR monitor just couldn't resolve.

Now the monitor is in a state of balck screen except for in the middle saying Auto Detect is on (Analog) the also shows "Cannot display this video mode", Optimum resolution is 1920x1200 60hz

The screen cannot be taken off this no matter what I tried.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

A:Monitor stuck on Video Mode warning

Reboot the computer and press F8 until you enter Safe Mode... Select VGA and restart

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-stuck-on-video-mode-warning.132737/
Relevancy 52.89%

I m looking for some help please My computer was giving New of event HDD/XP lots gets stuck errors booting, viewer me lots of BSOD slowed stuck bootups and errors originated New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors from Device Harddisk D in my event viewer My hard drive failed generic long tests and had bad clusters so I got a new hard drive installed it New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors with XP and it was fine for a week Then my computer would boot New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors to a blank screen and wouldn t boot in safe mode So I yesterday reinstalled XP again and now it s staying on the XP loading screen but never actually loading Safe boot got stuck as soon as I went into event viewer I managed to get it to start up normally just now and I am seeing these errors in event viewer -Error event ID The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk D -Warning event ID An error was detected on device Device Harddisk D during a paging operation -Error event ID The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error A device attached to the system is not functioning That same error repeats only instead of DHiverCP NetBios it s DNS Client TCP IP Protocol Driver and IPSEC -Error event The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Aavmker AFD AmdK AsIO asuskbnt aswSP aswTdi Fips IPSec MRxSmb NetBIOS NetBT ohci RasAcd Rdbss Tcpip Does this appear to be a hardware issue or is there a problem with the copy of Windows I obtained I m so frustrated I almost want to buy a premade from Dell and forget about it My current system specs Asus M N-SLI Deluxe mobo AMD Athlon X GB Corsair -Pin DDR SDRAM Please help nbsp

A:New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors

It appears that you have a nice system, if you can get it back to normal.
We have to suspect other hardware, since two hard drives have similar symptoms... but you may have copied evil stuff from the one drive to the other. How did you transfer files? Or an infestation.
What did you use to scan your system for virus and spyware infestations?
Have you carefully checked your cables... or even tried replacing them temporarily?
Examine all sockets for dirt and debris, and clean your system thoroughly but carefully.
You may need to rule out some things that do not seem part of the problem... as it may be a long and slow process to figger out where the problem is... I would start, if the drive will work well enough, by running MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes, which ever is longer... or removing half the memory to test the other half, then switching.
We always suspect the cables first. They can fail and look good.
Any defective hardware part can cause problems elsewhere if the conditions are right... so I would begin by making a check list, then trading out everything on the list... video card, modem even if not used, ethernet connection or software, .
I would also try another drive and cable... any other drive, even using the first drive, fully reformatted and reinstalled with Windows and basic software....
Windows will not normally cause these of problem, but if you have scratches or smudges that would make it difficult to read, then you could theoretically introduce errors... unlikely though that is.
You could have an optical drive error that is not seeing the software properly.
But it is also possible that your Asus board, good as it is, has a defect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hdd-xp-gets-stuck-booting-lots-of-event-viewer-errors.131519/
Relevancy 21.07%

Our school is moving from a Workgroup setup to a Domain (Active Directory.) I'm having a problem though. When I set up new users all of their local settings disappear. So now I'm looking for an easy way to migrate User Profiles from the Local User to the new active directory user. I know microsoft has the Active Directory Migration Tool but is that truly the BEST way to do it?? The guide is like 100000 pages long so I'm not even sure if I want to go that route. Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/migrating-from-workgroup-to-domain-user-profile-migration.131944/
Relevancy 33.11%

What s the length limit for a cat cable I made a straight-through cable which is more than in length possibly When I connect it to the PC and the router the lights on the ethernet card and the router turns on like it should but I can t gain access to the router s setup page I m guessing it s because the cable is too long and that limit the for cable? a length cat5 What's the integrity of the signal is weakend due to the length I made another cable of length and everything worked fine Also when I crimped a straight-through cable with all wires and connect it to the PC and router one way the light on the router blinks while the ethernet card doesn t light up at all If I only use and wires the lights What's the length limit for a cat5 cable? turn on solid for the both ethernet card and router I don t What's the length limit for a cat5 cable? think it should make a difference if I use the or all wires why does it nbsp

A:What's the length limit for a cat5 cable?

Its not recommended that a CAT5 UTP cable exceed 100 metres.

You will need a signal repeater of some sort and then an additional cable if you want to go further than that.

Incidently, why the hell you do have a 100 metre cable anyway? I'd love to know what you are networking....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-the-length-limit-for-a-cat5-cable.1677/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a samsung Hard Disk, so well when I'm testing my hars disk the software show an error : X 03 Spin up Time the especific information it was attachment in this thread.

Please if you know some kind of solution, tell me.

I'll appreaciate your cooperation.

Thanks.

A:Spin up Time - Warning Imminent data lost is predistec

Are you having trouble with this drive? If not, this error could be meaningless. Does the Drive pass its SMART test?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/spin-up-time-warning-imminent-data-lost-is-predistec.130051/
Relevancy 21.93%

hi all i'm new here so be patient and gentle pls.

my question is can i read a report or log file that will tell me how long users have been logged into my server. i run sbs2003 and have some users on remote access via vpn, does the monitoring on the system allow me to view log in times for each user and how long they are logged in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-user-log-in-times.129887/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi,I have a Biostar GF1800 motherboard,i decided to download the update for the bios,after i had updated the bios i decide to have a look at it,not being technically minded i was curious if anything had changed,i moved to performance and i noticed this message warning please clear the cmos if no display after overclocking, i presume display means everything is starting up,which it is,everything is working fine,anyway i decided to clear the cmos just in case,but i still get the warning advice in the performance section.will this warning go eventually.Regards Martin.

A:Bios warning message

The warning won't go away, it's there to tell you if you overclock and the PC won't boot afterwards, you need to clear CMOS to reset the settings. It's informative.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-warning-message.123428/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a HP Pavilion 6500 that has recently started shutting down for no reason. I have had it completely apart, cleaned and inspected every part. Everything looks good and when I put it back together it worked fine for about 6 hours then shut down again with no warning or error message. When I attempt to restart, it comes on for about 2 seconds and shuts off again. (On battery, battery w/adapter and adapter only) Even when it has sat overnight or for a couple of days and should be completely cool. Someone in another thread mentioned processor protection in the BIOS. How do I check that? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

A:HP Pavilion shuts down with no warning

Ram can go bad, i would do a thorough test on the ram.... I use the ultimate Boot CD. It's free and it has some pretty good tests on the cd.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-shuts-down-with-no-warning.126767/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi First time posting so be gentle I bought an Acer Aspire T a couple of years back and have put a bit more ram in it and a better graphics card since but I m now using an external drive a lot as my internal drive a paltry gb is chock a block I bought a new internal nd drive on my Is upgrading worth PC? it ram? Limit at abou quid for gb but it won t mount so I m planning on returning it It s got me thinking though can I actually upgrade it much more and is it going to be worth it I ask because I only have ram slots One has a gb card in the other has a mb in When I look for a single stick of say or gb ram of the type of ram I have I can only seem to Is it worth upgrading PC? Limit on my ram? find it Is it worth upgrading PC? Limit on my ram? max of gb per stick So I have a couple of queries - My ram type is DDR MHz PC Is the biggest I can get this gb Is that a restriction - The PC is Acer Aspire T AMD Sempron bit It now has a mb graphics card but it s still not running how I d like it Will I be able to improve this a lot more or should I do what I want to do and just get a decent-spec laptop Any thoughts much appreciated hrhkingcol nbsp

A:Is it worth upgrading PC? Limit on my ram?

If you decide to get a new pc then i would recommend one of novatech's bare bones packages. I got a amd duo core 5200 package for 230 coupled with a cd drive and hard drive. then add a decent card like a 9600gt for about 80 or get a cheaper 55 8600gt which can run any title available today on low graphics. It depends on what you are using it for.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-upgrading-pc-limit-on-my-ram.125576/
Relevancy 25.37%

hi, i am having trouble wth my computer. i don't know much about computer. actually if i want to restart it, it keep showing me "Warning! Now system is in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup." but if i plug off the power supply cable, and put it back, the warning was gone. but, then if i wanna restart it again, that warning will appear again..
so could anyone help me what should i do with this problem ?

thank you...

A:Warning! Now system is in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup.

The battery on the motherboard is probably dead. It's a coin-shaped and -sized silver metal lump on your computer's motherboard. Pry it out (make sure the computer is off and make sure you don't break anything) and take it to your local electronics/computer/watch store. They should be able to give you a replacement.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warning-now-system-is-in-safe-mode-please-re-setting-cpu-frequency-in-cmos-setup.60929/
Relevancy 33.97%

I am attempting to transfer old vinyl LP recordings using a USB turntable to my PC using Groove Mechanic version 2.6. The record volume levels shown in Groove Mechanic are too low and I cannot find a way to increase the record levels.
My PC has a MSI X58 Platinum motherboard with onboard Realtek Hi Definition Audio. I've tried the controls in the "Realtek Audio Control Manager" and they have no effect.

This was accomplished on my old XP machine by going thru assesories to the audio control panel - which had several slider controls, one of which controlled record volume.

Thanks for any help

Diz1701

A:Adjusting record level

Try updating the motherboards sound driver... Are you updated to Vista SP1?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adjusting-record-level.122472/
Relevancy 26.66%

January 26, 2009 (Computerworld) Last week, Seagate Technology LLC tried to appease users who for the past two months have swarmed its online support forum to complain that desktop hard drives have been freezing up during data transfers or failing altogether.

Seagate late last week released the second of two fixes for the firmware bug that caused the problem, and it offered affected users free data recovery services from its i365 business unit.

The company first tried to fix the bug on Jan. 16, but new firmware it released that day had flaws of its own.

use the link above for the original article

A:Warning: Seagate HD Firmware issues

I've been following this for the past couple of weeks now, I think the point the article is trying to make is that the 1st firmware revision released on the 16th also bricked drives, but the 2nd firmware fix is OK... at least the drive I applied the 2nd firmware to is fine.

I've got 5 more to try.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warning-seagate-hd-firmware-issues.121042/
Relevancy 26.66%

My PC shut off with no warning, And will not boot up, it will "turn on" but the monitor doesn't show the bootup screen or anything, it stays blank as if the comp was still off.

The Keyboard & mouse don't light up/turn on either.

Computer is a Compaq Presario. but I am unsure what the motherboard is because we had to buy a new one. PC was used, motherboard was fried, bought new one & new RAM, HD's, everything.

Motherboard and ram are under a year old.
As are the hard drives. [two 160 or 180 gb HD's one is SATA, other is SATA/IDE]
512 RAM
Windows XP SP2.
Haven't been having any PC issues prior to this happening.

So far everyone is telling me its probably the power supply box. but I'm unsure.

Thanks, I will post more specs when I find out what they are.

A:PC shut off randomly with no warning, will not boot up

Have a look here: Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test)

But I'd say Power Supply issue as well

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-shut-off-randomly-with-no-warning-will-not-boot-up.119692/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hey guys I hardware Adding RAM limit more than just got an old powerbook cs Adding more RAM than hardware limit that I got for free after an electronics recycling drive I m looking to upgrade it to make it a decent work computer doesn t Adding more RAM than hardware limit need to do much and I m not expecting much as old as it is I want to upgrade to the maximum MB memory If you don t know the PB cs comes with MB stock and has room for two expansions I have one expansion card already came with the laptop The total memory is MB which means the one expansion is MB The only expansion card I could find is a MB one This MB limit seems to be universally true amongst all PB cs owners based on the upgrade guides that I ve seen meaning it s hardware based and is probably not mac understating the computer s capabilities which has been known to happen So adding the MB puts me at a total of MB so obviously the computer will not recognize the parts that are over the MB However will the MB that reaches the maximum MB be recognized Or is the whole card ignored Will having that extra memory damage my computer Also what are the chances that the MB will be recognized and work nbsp

A:Adding more RAM than hardware limit

Hit or Stand........It's Like Blackjack...........

First there are only a few people here that might actually might know the answer to this question. I should be one of them, but regrettably I'm not.

In most cases excess memory is ignored by a computer, at least the more modern ones that we're accustomed to dealing with. 32 bit OSes ignore anything above 3 GBs when the usual max capacity of 4GB is installed. However, some boards rebel and won't boot.
If I were in your position, I would simply be grateful, (and quite amazed), that the damned thing worked at all, and as they say in Blackjack, stand pat. This is my voodoo paranoia stance, I have no facts to substantiate it. Maybe someone else does.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-more-ram-than-hardware-limit.117162/
Relevancy 21.93%

I've had a couple of complaints from a user where I work who cannot login wirelessly using their laptop. They can however logon fine if they plugin an ethernet cable. Once they have logged in, they can use the wireless connection just fine.

What might cause this? I'm struggling to troubleshoot it.

Thanks

A:User cannot logon wirelessly

You must be in a Domain/Networked login environment as WiFi vs wired networking is not germane to user login otherwise.

I think you're in a catch-22; you need the network to login but need login to access the network.

Fix the GPO policy for WiFi users to allow local login to the machine.
This will give the ability to then MAP drives to the infrastructure using the WiFi connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-cannot-logon-wirelessly.116860/
Relevancy 26.23%

FYI: There are new attacks on your computers which create a pop-up which statesYou need to install a new codec to decode ....​This *can be* a trojan which steals user-ids, passwords and access to any online banking accounts!

a sample of a *possible* pop-up

here's one link to the description :: Trojan-Downloader.Zlob.Media-Codec

a list of possible locations of infections

two removal techniques

A:Warning: be careful when prompted to install a new codec

Thanks, ill look out for it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warning-be-careful-when-prompted-to-install-a-new-codec.115054/
Relevancy 27.09%

A few days ago my computer was turning off abd giving me a message re: thermal issues. So, bought thermal paste, cleaned the exixting paste and put the new paste. After that was done the computers keeps turning off, but it does not give me that message anymore.
Does anybody has any idea as to why this is happening?

A:Computers Turns off without warning

Your computer may be overheating. Your CPU fan may not be sufficient for your processor. Or It could be your power supply. Does your computer turn off and come back on, or does it just crash and stay off? There are a lot of things that can make your computer crash. Did you make sure to not put too much thermal paste on? Also, you could have put too little of the thermal paste on. Does your computer run for a while before shutting down or does it crash as soon as you turn it on? Look in the download section on here for a temp monitor. Use a couple different temp monitors to see if your computer is overheating.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computers-turns-off-without-warning.114491/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,

My PC (Windows XP and SP-2)is rebooting every 10 minutes by showing a blue screen warning page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

When i checked in control panel ? Administrative tools ? Event viewer ? system . Then I found out Event 7000 is creating errors.

These errors are

?The XAudioService service failed to start due to the following error:
XAudioService is not a valid Win32 application.?

?The CSS DVP service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.?

And Event 5001 error

?Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter : Could not allocate the resources necessary for operation.?

Pls. help me how to overcome these problems.

Vijay

A:PC reboot by showing a blue screen warning page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Do the events in the event log coincide with the times you are getting the BSOD reboots?

This error occurs when the OS tries to load something it is expecting to find in memory (RAM or virtual) and it is not there. (nutshell of the long definition). It can be caused by failing memory, failing harddrive or software/drivers recently installed. Can also be cause by viruses or an antivirus program.

1. Do you recall the date on which this problem began and if so, do you recall having made a change to your system. (OS updates, sw install, etc.)
2. If the events are associated with the BSOD, it sounds like it could be a hard drive issue or you may have a serious infection that is using all your resources.

What antivirus program are you using? Are you using any additional protections (anti spyware etc.)

Can you boot it into safe mode and is it stable there? If so, boot to safe mode and run your antivirus software.

If the event coincides with something you recall having loaded or installed, you can attempt to restore your system to an earlier time using the System Restore feature in XP.

Do you need instructions for those various suggestions?

Tracy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-reboot-by-showing-a-blue-screen-warning-page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.114416/
Relevancy 21.93%

i was wondering how to get rid of user accounts.the computer im about to get has 3 accounts hogin up the drive so i went into safe mode and change the pass cus i couldnt find how to delete them and that didnt work either.plz help and i thank you all for your previous help that i will be needing.

A:How to delete user accounts

Instructions
Click Start
Click Control Panel
In Control Panel Window click User Accounts
In the user accounts window click the account that you want to delete
Click delete the account.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-delete-user-accounts.113022/
Relevancy 27.09%

Warning CPU has been changed.
I needed to put a new power supply in my computer. Now it does come back up but with this warning...

Warning! CPU has been changed. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit!

If I click on F1 it brings me to my desktop but says I need to restore desktop, but it will not allow me to. I have tried everything to get into the setup, but have no idea how.

Any ideas? I am not a pro at this stuff, and simply do not understand it. I will try anything you say, but to please try to be as clear as possible for me. I would greatly appreciate that.

Thank you.

A:Warning cpu has been changed

Wow, that's weird......

You probably need to reset the CMOS in your BIOS. The motherboard battery may have failed (how old is the computer), or the oddball voltages from a failing PSU may have scrambled something up. Usually the CMOS is reset by removing the the little button battery and waiting a few minutes, then reinstalling it. It is possible in a worst case scenario that the motherboard failed and took out the PSU. First, either dust off your instruction manual or visit you motherboard manufacturer's site and download the manual. A quick read through will get you the proper procudure for the CMO(S reset for your particular board. Let us know how you make out.

Also, recheck all of the connections on your new PSU. You may have inadvertently left the 4 pin plug off your CPU (if it's an Intel), that also might cause the symptoms you describe.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warning-cpu-has-been-changed.111793/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi Everybody,,

Since I started using Refillable Cartridges , and the Bulk ink

Every time I Print something I get the Epson Warning below.

Before changing to Refillable Cartridges, I used Generic Cartridges...
and I only ever got the Warning when I First replaced the Cartridge,

Now I get it every time I want to Print something,

I cannot Line up 2 or 3 Print Jobs , without being there to Cancel the Warning .it comes up every time. I can no longer just Click Print and leave.

The New Refillable have Auto Reset chips (reset when nearly empty ) in them ...

I would be quite happy if the Popup Warning only came when the Chip Reset.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R310

Does anybody know of a way to stop this Warning , ...

Thankyou Ron .

A:Epson Pop up Warning?

As the error message mention it detect as a non original cartridges and printers nowadays are very secure about that and when you put and non original one it will send message everytime for the printer protection first as a non original cartridges can damage the printer.

I think you will need to buy a new cartridges and that time an original one or you will get the message everytime.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/epson-pop-up-warning.109985/
Relevancy 33.54%

Alright whenever I play a game All games crash level my loads after a whether All my games crash after a level loads it be Far Cry or Half-Life my entire computer reboots no blue screen when i log back on it says the a system All my games crash after a level loads error has occured I have reinstalled Windows XP home times already ran checkdisk bought a new All my games crash after a level loads mobo have ATI Radeon driver version gb of ddr memory western digital Caviar GB kingston memory AMD athlon motherboard ghz the error in the system event viewer says Event Type Information Event Source ACEEventLogSource Event Category None Event ID Date Time PM User N A Computer THESHED Description - - Exception lt atixcode dll gt Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID A -E E- F -A C - C BCAAAF failed due to the following error Exception Called by ATI ACE CLI Aspect TransCode Graphics Shared TC Component CheckTrancodeComObject processID threadIDCCCThreadNew Wizard domainNameccc exe assemblyNameCLI Aspect TransCode Graphics Shared Version Culture neutral PublicKeyToken ba c f e and Event Type Error Event Source ati mtag Event Category CRT Event ID Date Time PM User N A Computer THESHED Description CRT invalid display type Data a Z c b c and Event Type Error Event Source System Error Event Category Event ID Date Time PM User N A Computer THESHED Description Error code e parameter parameter bf d c parameter a eeab parameter Data d System E f rror Er f f ror code d e Param eters c bf d c c a eea c b any help would be great thanks nbsp

A:All my games crash after a level loads

Alright, first off you need to disable "Automatic Restart" by going to Control Panel --> System --> Advanced Tab --> Settings button under Startup and Recovery. Under System Failure, remove the check next to Automatic Restart. Now, instead of a hard restart, whatever is causing the problem will throw a blue screen. This may give you a better idea of what is happening. Also, it would be extremely useful to attach the corresponding minidump to this thread. With that, members who have debugging tools can read the dump and tell you exactly what is causing the error.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/all-my-games-crash-after-a-level-loads.109322/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi All;

From time to time on my XP Home SP2 machine I get a "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts." warning.

I've read the MS Help and Support info, do not have a virus or malware as was suggested in the article and I tried the cmd line: netstat -no proceedure to no avail.

It's not the end of the world and my dsl has no other issues.

I can live with it, but wonder you know of a work-around.

Certainly appreciate any help.

A:Tcpip Warning in Event Viewer/System

Concurrent Session usually are found in your browser or a Torrent client application.
Limits on them are imposed to ensure your system does not drown and lockup due
to excessive connections from ONE application.

Reaching the limit is non-fatal; ie the programs should continue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tcpip-warning-in-event-viewer-system.106349/
Relevancy 53.32%

My problem started when I upgraded my computer to an Intel C2D, 2GB Corsair DDR2 Memory, Windows XP Pro, two Liteon LH-20A1S SATA DVDRW's, EVGA nForce680i video and Viewsonic flat screen all running on a EVGA NF680i S775 Mother Board.

Sometimes the machine freezes, sometimes not. The error message is: Source: atapi, Type Error Event ID 9, Description: "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort7, did not respond within the timeout period". (At times I get Event 15 error)

I suspect it has something to do with the two Liteon DVDRW's I have.

Would anyone know if this is a known problem? I have the latest video drivers.

Thanks,

Alex

A:Atapi Error Event ID 9 freezes computer

do you have a good driver? Did you update the drivers recently? If so roll back to the previous working driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/atapi-error-event-id-9-freezes-computer.89407/
Relevancy 21.93%

Im in an office where by we are around 10-20 users on the LAN.im not the network administrator, but i would like to know a way i would block a user from downloading because it really slows us down ...any advice?

A:How to stop a user from downloading on a LAN

yes, well i think go to 192.0.0.1 and figure ur self threw its really easy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-stop-a-user-from-downloading-on-a-lan.103413/
Relevancy 33.97%

In this thread, i'll try to describe and answer of some questions about low-level working of laptops. this is about BIOS loading, EC/KBC controllers work,common problems with southbridge faulty etc. i'll be wait for community questions. don't ask me how to unlock dell,HP,IBM laptops, and don't ask me to generate some master passwords. but you can ask me how password systems works in laptops.

this particular case for beginning:
toshiba tecra 8100,8200. sometimes you can turn on laptop and listen beeps, which points to RAM failure, but you're sure that memory modules are fine. this problem is connected with bad soldering of memory slots. you can see this bad soldering only using binocular magnifier. the solution is resolder memory slots, using micro-soldering equipment.

A:Low-level working of laptops.

but you can ask me how password systems works in laptopsClick to expand...

Why is it that some laptops seem to automatically create a password?
I have seen this here before. Where a user swears that no password was ever used in bios, then all of a sudden their laptop asks for a password at startup.

Are some laptops set up for default password, or is it some chip on board gone mad?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/low-level-working-of-laptops.102310/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi Guys,
I have TOSHIBA Settelite A45 S151 and i am getting this warning "A problem with the cooling system has been detected."
My machine becomes very slow. I check some theads to find out whats going on. Most of them says it may be heat sink or fan. But my fan is working and I cleaned my heat sink properly but still it is giving me the same problem.
Does anyone know what could be the problem?

A:Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected

Really you already took apart your notebook and cleaned the CPU heatsink and the cooling fan and you still have this problem? Well the slow down means the mobo is sensing high temperature of the CPU and automatically clocking it down to reduce heat. So maybe you have sensor problem, mobo problem or the CPU heatsink has come loose from the CPU.

Maybe time to taken it in for service.

Cheers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warning-a-problem-with-the-cooling-system-has-been-detected.51730/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi can anyone help me with the following error.

My system restarts at random times.
After restart it shows this error:

BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 8054D370 BCP3 : B2000000
BCP4 : 00070F0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

PLEEEEEASE help. . .

A:PC Restart without warning

have you troubleshot?

did you check your ram (test it)?
did you check your psu?
did you check your drivers?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-restart-without-warning.97017/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi guys,
i would like your opinions on which brand of routers do you think is the best and most user-friendly to use. By user-friendly i mean that it is easy to configure and there are sufficient step-by-step instructions on the manual to help you set up a successful connection.

I have been using a Planet XRT-401C and i highly advise you NOT to use it. There's simply insufficient instructions given on the manual on how to configure it. I also keep having connection issues (limited connectivity) when connecting 2 of my PCs using this router.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

A:The best and most user-friendly router to use?

Cisco is the best, but expensive
Netgear is very easy.
LinkSys and DLink are relatively easy and offer more downloads and install help online than most others.
Consider the LinkSys WRT330N, or the DLink Router which includes wireless, which is a dream to setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-best-and-most-user-friendly-router-to-use.100896/
Relevancy 21.07%

We have a new user that has returned, she is at a remote location, so she logs on via Terminal Services. If we log into the Terminal Server as her from the home office we cannot access the network program, and she cannot from her remote location, either. If we log on as her on one of the computers here at the home office, we can access the program just fine. If we log into the Terminal Server as ourself, we can open the program. We just tried deleting the user and recreating it, and there was no change. Anyone have any suggestions?

A:New User on Terminal Services cannot open network program

What is your network, and who is your provider?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-user-on-terminal-services-cannot-open-network-program.87774/
Relevancy 33.97%

At what size CPU would the absolute threshold level be with regards to air cool and water cool in reference to an Intel CPU? I am contemplating on building my computer, but leery of using water cool and was wondering how high I can go with the CPU speed before switching to water cooling.

A:CPU threshold cooling level

I thought it was in relation to temperature level, not so much CPU level

Actually if anyone has a good chart on Temperature (normal) levels, (on different CPUs) please post.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-threshold-cooling-level.98791/
Relevancy 53.32%

My desktop is a Dell Dimension c and lately I couldn t start Dimesion 4600c Event Thermal Dell it The orange light on the power button is blinking and nothing happens when I press it And at times when it would power on I get a previous shutdown due to thermal event message until recently it wouldn t start anymore Most of the times it wouldn t start is probably because of the air conditioner The air blows directly to Dell Dimesion 4600c Thermal Event the computer and it gets real cold So last time when it won t start I had to use a hairdryer to heat it up or put it out in the sun But that doesn t seem to work anymore So my question is is something wrong with the fan or the power supply P s I don t know if this is the place to post this I really don t take care of my computer so let s forget about that Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated my location is Malaysia and the average room temperature is degrees celcius nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimesion-4600c-thermal-event.98806/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi , i am running a windows server 2k3 with sp2 and server is getting rebooted with event id 1001 :The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0x80000003, 0xe0872e04, 0xf187f9c4, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020808-03.dmp.

and also i am getting event id 1003 : Error code 1000008e, parameter1 80000003, parameter2 e0872e04, parameter3 f1aff9c4, parameter4 00000000.

in the logs may this also be related to same issue.
Could anyone help me figuring out the cause of this. whether it is due to any driver or hardware failure. I am also attaching a dump files along with the thread.
Pls help me with the resolution asap. thanks

A:Event ID 1001: server rebooting from bugcheck

Pls reply asap i need help urgently thanks

I need to get it resolve very soon . pls help me

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/event-id-1001-server-rebooting-from-bugcheck.98680/
Relevancy 33.54%

I just bought a PC with Foxconn cmx mobo and WD JS hard disk Set it to gb gen II mode and everything seems ok Installation of Win XP sp was no problem until I start install more apps and then crashing limit 137gb the PC? the blue screen starts coming 137gb limit crashing the PC? out I noticed it was more of an HD I O error before the system crashes each time thus there was no memory dump made available Every time before it crash I can notice the HD slows down or hang before the BS comes out So after messing around with it and keeps crashing it for days I split the HD to partition of each and everything seems to be working fine since last night and I have not had a crash since Just out of curiosity does it make sense for the system to be so unstable with big drives crappy drivers etc considering that it is not that new a technology anymore and the equipment amp drivers are new I also noted that WDxxxxYS series has a firmware update which sounds pretty close to my problem I think My concern is that is there any possible defective parts that I need to bring it back to the shop to replace As of right now everything seems to be working fine nbsp

A:137gb limit crashing the PC?

It's in there somewhere.......

In some cases the BIOS must be physically set to LBA (logical block addressing) mode before the full capacity can be detected/used. Some board/BIOS combinations will auto-select this mode when a drive larger than 137GB is detected.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/137gb-limit-crashing-the-pc.97687/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hey guys my friends nec versa cannot hdd" OS "Warning: into boot unlock Can't primary - Versa E gives her quot Warning cannot unlock primary hdd quot whenever she starts her computer It has had an history of being nasty and she has had to play with BIOS settings before in order to be able to boot in such as the master password but she says that this is a different problem as it is acting differently I spent the "Warning: cannot unlock primary hdd" Can't boot into OS last "Warning: cannot unlock primary hdd" Can't boot into OS few hours searching around on the net trying to find a way to solve this she lives far away from me so I can t get hands-on otherwise I might have been more help This problem only occurs after bios has done it s thing when it "Warning: cannot unlock primary hdd" Can't boot into OS tries to boot into windows She says that it just randomly started happening although her norton anti-virus was refusing to update before hand -Edit wow quick huh xD http support necam com mobilesolu VersaUltraltDaylt Docs - - web pdf is her BIOS if anybody is interested also when searching through the official site found her error code she found it now me iono where the official page even lies google didn t pull it up when I searched it xD and has now moved onto quot operating system not found quot I am completely out of my league and if you have an ideas or suggestions they would be warmly welcomed DarkFireKnight nbsp

A:"Warning: cannot unlock primary hdd" Can't boot into OS

Physically plug the harddrive into IDE1 (The CD ATA cable) unplugging the CD
And try again
I believe m/b fault, swapping the IDE ports may fix it.
Temporarily !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warning-cannot-unlock-primary-hdd-cant-boot-into-os.96477/
Relevancy 27.09%

HI,Occasoinally when i start my computer i get a warning saying there is a change in the chipset causing boot failure press f1 to continue and then its fine after that on rebooting until maybe after a few weeks it does it again any ideas what is going on.

A:Warning on booting up.

your CMOS battery may be running low. Change it out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warning-on-booting-up.95477/