Windows Support Forum

XPS 15 (9550) Powers itself on after shut down, sleep or hibernate. BIOS code issue or hardware fault?

Q: XPS 15 (9550) Powers itself on after shut down, sleep or hibernate. BIOS code issue or hardware fault?

Hi I have a brand new XPS machine which hardware code down, shut itself BIOS or sleep XPS after Powers (9550) hibernate. issue on 15 or fault? I suppose may have a factory defect but I d like to try asking here and see if others have similar experiences before sending it to repair TL DR Issuing a shut down hibernate or start command makes the laptop go down Light from the power button goes away seconds later the power comes back on and the system starts up On delivery the laptop had Win Pro on it I want to have a clean install without the bloatware which is often shipped with new computers so I reinstalled it on the very first day with a USB stick prepared with Windows Pro install media on it Once installed I added the WLAN driver and let the machine get all other drivers via Windows update Once done I shut down the machine and put it in XPS 15 (9550) Powers itself on after shut down, sleep or hibernate. BIOS code issue or hardware fault? my bag So far so good I thought nbsp When i took it of of my bag I instantly noticed that it was hot and that the screen was already at the Windows logon as soon as I flipped up the screen Logged on and tried to shut it down just to realize that the machine comes back on seconds after completed shut down I tried this several times to see if it was repeatable and yes it is Behavior is same every time It s the same regardless of choosing shut down hibernate or sleep Always seconds after the light on power button goes out power comes back on BIOS wise or release behaves equal I have tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults and BIOS defaults as XPS 15 (9550) Powers itself on after shut down, sleep or hibernate. BIOS code issue or hardware fault? well Operating system wise I ve tried reinstalling the machine with both the Microsoft install image The Microsoft tool that prepares a USB drive as Win installation media and the image supplied by Dell via the support pages No difference I ve tried to stay on drivers supplied by Windows update as well as manually installing everything from Dell support site No difference Findings from google refer to quot Fast boot quot setting in windows but I did not get any improvement from either settings of this I even went as far as tried to run Ubuntu on the laptop to see if the behavior is OS agnostic and yes it seems Shut down from the menu of the Ubuntu desktop gives the same result seconds after power led goes out the power returns Even when in the BIOS settings menu I can do a short press of the power button to request a shut down and reach the same result seconds after power led coming off system is by itself restarting The only way to shut down this computer is to do a long press on the power button If I do that the machine shuts down and stays off Last thing to share here is that inside the BIOS interface there is a power state log In there I can see that the system has powered off at a certain timestamp and that the associated reason is something like quot ACPI Power off quot or similar don t have the machine here at hand right now quot Immediately after that there is a power on event but the reason is listed as quot Not applicable quot I interpret this that there is something actually making a signal to the system to start up rather than a hardware fault Possibly a BIOS bug My patience is rather much consumed with this as I do not see any more things to try I think next stop is the workshop for this machine but I cannot be without it for the next week so I ll need to keep it with me some time still

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19992618
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: XPS 15 (9550) Powers itself on after shut down, sleep or hibernate. BIOS code issue or hardware fault?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 89.01%

Hi I have an XPS in which I replaced its SSD and memory and installed a fresh Windows Enterprise x The specs are as follows instead hibernate, wake up not or 9550 does XPS 15 reboots sleep from but Computer Model XPS BIOS Vendor Dell Inc BIOS Version BIOS Date OS Version Microsoft Windows Enterprise Processor Intel R Core TM i - HQ CPU GHz Memory DIMM A MB Memory DIMM B MB Disk Drives Samsung SSD EVO TB nbsp XPS 15 9550 does not wake up from sleep or hibernate, but instead reboots NVMe Samsung SSD Display Adapters Intel R HD Graphics nbsp NVIDIA GeForce GTX M IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers Intel R Series C Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller Sound Devices Bluetooth Hands-free Audio nbsp Realtek High Definition Audio nbsp NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device Wave Extensible WDM nbsp Intel R Display Audio USB Controllers Intel R USB eXtensible Host Controller - Microsoft When I close the lid of my laptop it used to go to sleep Now I have configured it to go to hibernate In both cases when I lift the lid again of the time the laptop does not wake up smoothly and instead it goes into a reboot and any open windows XPS 15 9550 does not wake up from sleep or hibernate, but instead reboots and files I have are gone All my drivers are up to date Any recommendations of what to do to solve this problem Thanks

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19974500
Relevancy 81.27%

Should I put my laptop to sleep, hibernate it or shut it down when I'm not using it? I changed the settings so my laptop goes into hibernation mode when I close the lid or press the power button. I'm curious what you all think.

A:Sleep, hibernate or shut down?

It depends entirely on how you use your computer/laptop and how long its going to be unused in my opinion ,I shutdown when I go to work ,I use sleep when I'm at home and used it every now and then ,shut it down most nights ,I never use hibernate .

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/59170-sleep-hibernate-shut-down.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Please Someone Expain More Info For This 3 Mode ?

Sleep Mode It's Same Shut down But Save Time For Startup Again But Use More Energy ?

I'm Desktop PC

A:Shut down / Sleep / Hibernate ???

Sleep mode means your user session is kept stored in the memory (RAM) while everything else (other than LED lights) is turned off. If you unplug your PC while in sleep mode, you lose all unsaved work since RAM is not able to store data without electricity unlike Hard drives.

Hibernate means the user session that is stored in the memory is stored in a file called hiberfil.sys and then Windows completely turns off all the devices and the computer itself. You can uplug your PC safely by using this mode. When you turn on your PC, you basically get to your previous user session.

Shutdown is self-explanatory.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/267699-shut-down-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello,
I had upgraded by laptop computer from windows vista to windows 7 about 3.5 months ago. My computer has been working fine until about 2-3 days ago when it stopped being able to hibernate, sleep or shut down. Whenever I try to sleep or hibernate my computer the screen goes black but the computer is still on. When I try to shutdown my computer it forever says on the "logging off" screen. I'm not very tech savvy so I have no idea what to do. Programs I try to install now won't work either. They just will not open. I tried to do a system restore but it won't let me do that either, saying that there's an error. I've tried uninstalling programs that I had installed in the past week as well as used CC cleaner to no avail. Someone please help! I will need step by step instructions as I am not that computer savvy. Thanks!

A:Machine Won't Hibernate, Sleep or Shut down

You can try to restore via Safe Boot.
Go into Start, bottom left of screen. type msconfig. Click that, msconfig.exe.

When that opens, go to the Boot tab. Go to boot options, and select Safe Boot\minimal.

Once your system reboots, then try your system restore. See if that gets rid of error.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/77263-machine-wont-hibernate-sleep-shut-down.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I've been experiencing this problem for about a week now. It started seemingly randomly, as I haven't made any significant changes to my computer. If I try to hibernate or shut down my computer it hangs up on either "Logging off" or "Shutting down" and stays there. I've let it run for as long as an hour, but ultimately I have to crash my computer every time I need to turn it off.

I don't know what to do here, so I would really appreciate some help

A:Computer will sleep but not hibernate or shut down

Quote: Originally Posted by s3ven

I've been experiencing this problem for about a week now. It started seemingly randomly, as I haven't made any significant changes to my computer. If I try to hibernate or shut down my computer it hangs up on either "Logging off" or "Shutting down" and stays there. I've let it run for as long as an hour, but ultimately I have to crash my computer every time I need to turn it off.

I don't know what to do here, so I would really appreciate some help

Do you have a restore point that is longer than a week ago ?
If yes, do a system restore and pick that date as your restore point.
System Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/172826-computer-will-sleep-but-not-hibernate-shut-down.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Oh boy could I do with some help please I've tried updating as many DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE sleep hibernate on BSOD shut-down, - or drivers as I can but I'm getting nowhere BSOD every time I shut-down or sleep or hibernate Problem signature Problem Event BSOD on shut-down, sleep or hibernate - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode f BCP BCP D BCP AE BCP BE OS Version Service Pack Product WhoCrashed reports that - On Tue GMT your computer crashed crash dump file C Windows Minidump - - dmp This was probably caused by the following module ntoskrnl exe nt xDEE C Bugcheck code x F x xFFFFFFFF D xFFFFFFFF AE xFFFFFFFF BE Error DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE file path C Windows system ntoskrnl exe product Microsoft Windows Operating System company Microsoft Corporation description NT Kernel amp System Bug check description This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem The crash took place in the Windows kernel Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time

A:BSOD on shut-down, sleep or hibernate - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Welcome

Your dumps are not loading. Please make sure you're following the bsod posting instructions correctly then upload the dumps again to your next post.

STOP 0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE : Usual causes: Device driver
Please deselect all items except your antivirus software by performing a clean start up
Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup
Uninstall Comodo Internet Security while we troubleshoot the problems with your computer and replace with MSE
Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

Please try uploading your dumps again

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/252273-bsod-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-driver_power_state_failure.html
Relevancy 78.69%

After the last Windows 10 update (4/12/16) my system would no longer go to sleep. I applied the latest BIOS update (1.2.0) and now it is sleeping again so you might want to consider installing this BIOS update. It also supposedly fixes a number of other issues people have been having.
JohnD

A:XPS 15 9550 Sleep Issue

Thank you for posting. Since updating the BIOS to 1.2.0 has the system been running alright, are you still able to place it in sleep?

TB

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19682198
Relevancy 78.69%

About a month ago I had my friendly Dell rep dispatch a tech to replace my Bluetooth Vista hibernate, X32 Won't lid shut closed is when Dell down sleep, module and CD drive Afterwhich Bluetooth still wouldn't work and Dell Vista X32 Won't hibernate, sleep, shut down when lid is closed I'm positivie that it's a software issue I called them back about that issue and the one I'm asking about below and according to Dell my only option is to reinstall windows He didn't grasp the fact that I couldn't back up my files Since the repair my laptop won't go into sleep hibernate or shut down when I close the lid I also started getting a 'last backup failed' error and when I try and backup or create a restore point I get a the 'insuffecient memory for VSS Shadow copy' message with error x F It will shutdown when I use the shutdown in the windows orb as well as it goes into some form of sleep hibernation when I push the power button The reason I say that is when I open it up and push the power button again I get a 'resuming windows' message and screen Also I don't think it's a mechanical issue Reason being when I close the lid and open it back up my mouse will freeze and act drunk for - seconds To me that says that for some reason the program that commands sleep hibernation is not firing off or firing off to completion I've tried several tutorials suggestions from this website and others regarding adjusting power settings disabling wake from sleep in device manager doing repairs from the windows disk etc I'd appreciate any and all ideas- I don't want to reload Vista I'm sure that there's something that I missed or Dell missed or maybe even I did something wrong THANKS in advance

A:Dell Vista X32 Won't hibernate, sleep, shut down when lid is closed

Welcome
Start with an SFC command
run 3 times if errors are found
System Files - SFC Command

If that does not work, do a system restore from before the problem
System Restore - How to

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286785-dell-vista-x32-wont-hibernate-sleep-shut-down-when-lid-closed.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hello,
I'm having an issue with my Dell XPS 15 laptop (i7, 4K Touch, 512GB SSD, Windows 10).
Issue:
- the laptop instantly wakes up after I put it to sleep (by pressing the power button or closing the lid);
- this happened after the laptop failed to hibernate from sleep and now it's happening every time I try to put it to sleep and it just wakes up instantly after the sleep starts;
- there are no waking devices or scheduled tasks, nor is the wireless card waking it;
- the issue seemed fixed after I updated the BIOS with the November firmware update (01.00.07), but it started again after another failed attempt to hibernate from sleep.

Thank you in advance for your help.

A:Dell XPS 15 (9550) sleep issue

Hello,
Even with the latest BIOS update 01.01.19 (05 Feb 2016), I still have this issue.
I was able to further explain the issue on this thread: answers.microsoft.com/.../ce44911e-c472-4773-8e7f-d3d58518aabc
I will transcribe it.
Some notes:

the expected behavior is: put laptop to sleep by pressing the power button > wait 1 minute (I configured it that way) > the laptop wakes to hibernate > the laptop hibernates > the laptop stays in hibernation until I boot it up again
the bug is: put laptop to sleep by pressing the power button > wait 1 minute > the laptop wakes to hibernate > the laptop hibernates > the laptop instantly wakes up afterwards
when the bug happens, the laptop is in a state where it wakes up instantly after every sleep, hibernate, and shutdown (even after restarting it)
to "fix" this state I have to prevent windows from booting up when the computer wakes. I usually shutdown the laptop, wait for it to wake automatically and hit the power button again, making it shutdown for real.

Steps to trigger the bug (default 'balanced' power plan with 1 minute to hibernate from sleep):

the laptop is plugged to the charger, with only a usb mouse connected
put laptop to sleep by pressing the power button
while asleep, unplug the power changer and disconnect the mouse
at the scheduled time (after 1 minute) the laptop wakes up to hibernate, and a sound is played (due to the mouse being disconnected)
the laptop starts to hibernate
the laptop instantly wakes up and is now in the faulty wake up state

I think step 3 is the real issue. I also did other tests that did not trigger the bug on step 3:

not unplugging the laptop from the charger, nor disconnecting the mouse — the bug does not occur
unplug the laptop from charger, but keep mouse connected — sometimes the bug occurs, sometimes it doesn't
keep the laptop plugged to the charger, but disconnect the mouse — the bug does not occur and a sound is not played in step 4.
Again, thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
João Martins Costa

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19662328
Relevancy 77.83%

So, I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 9550 i7 Skylake model, and the problem that bothers me is with the sleep mode. It's the 3rd day when i watch a movie on battery, close the lid with 70% of battery and wake up after 7-8 hours with 5-10 % of battery remaining. IT IS ABSURD !!! I paid a lot of money for this product, and I think this can be solved with a BIOS update. (i have .19 version of BIOS).
Please give me an answer of what I can do, and does anyone else have this problem??

A:Dell XPS 15 (9550) SLEEP Issue

This is a known Windows 10 issue. You can use the Power > Shutdown buttons and you think that it is totally shutdown, but it is not. I did that with my laptop which I did not have plugged in and a while later when I brought it back up, I discovered that the battery had almost run down. What you can do is shut off "Fast Startup". That should solve the problem. The XPS 15 will still come up fast enough without it.
JohnD

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19676185
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi There s something wrong with the m ssd PM used by Dell s XPS I ve tried everything I know to get hardware encryption working without success One would think that such old and basic feature for SSDs would be functional on this high-end laptop Has anyone succeeded in using hardware encryption with the PM I d also be very interested to know from people that replaced this ssd if they can now use hardware encryption with samsung pro or evo for example What s not working so far There is no option to set HDD Password in the bios This password is supposed to encrypt the ssd encryption key In theory all SSD are encrypting data by default All you need to do is set the hdd password to take advantage of it The quot Wipe Data quot feature in the bios This is supposed to send a Secure Erase command to the ssd controller This only changes the encryption key and renders all previously encrypted data unreadable Unfortunately this has no effects on the pm The encryption key is left unchanged as I can still boot my Windows install On Linux with hdparm I failed changing the encryption key and can t communicate with the pm Hardware issue encryption XPS 15 9550 with controller at all On Windows Pro Bitlocker hardware encryption is not available If you are prompted with this http img hostingpics net pics bitlocker png it means that Bitlocker will be using software encryption nbsp

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19985228
Relevancy 76.54%

I have had intermittent problems with getting my HP laptop to successfully enter sleep or hibernate mode Recently the BSODs are happening much more frequently and I can't determine what changes may have precipitated any of this When trying to sleep the screen goes black but the HDD and fans spin until a BSOD appears many minutes later WhoCrashed analysis of the latest minidump Quote On Thu AM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file C Windows Minidump - - dmp This was probably caused by the following module ntoskrnl exe nt x CC Bugcheck code x F x xFFFFFA B D xFFFFF xFFFFFA FD B Error DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE file path C Windows system ntoskrnl exe product Microsoft Windows Operating System company Microsoft Corporation description NT Kernel amp System Bug BSOD 0x9F sleep bugcheck or trying hibernate, code when to check description This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state This appears BSOD when trying to sleep or hibernate, bugcheck code 0x9F to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem The crash took place in the Windows kernel Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time Analyisis in WinDBG gives the same results I have read about this being often caused by video or network drivers so I have tried to update all of those I have also tried a CHKDSK My machine full system specs in my profile Windows Professional x SP Retail year old laptop months since OS install - it seems like the problem has always occurred in some form since the initial OS setup P S I would love to learn more about debugging my crashes so I appreciate any guidance on the steps I missed Thanks very much for your help

A:BSOD when trying to sleep or hibernate, bugcheck code 0x9F

Your Intel LAN drivers look to be responsible. This is only a partial analysis, however. I cannot dig further without a kernel dump (MEMORY.DMP in Windows directory).

Code:
0: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time (usually 10 minutes).
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
Arg2: fffffa8007b4d060, Physical Device Object of the stack
Arg3: fffff80004778748, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
Arg4: fffffa8007fd3b80, The blocked IRP

Debugging Details:
------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Debuggers\x64\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

DRVPOWERSTATE_SUBCODE: 3

IMAGE_NAME: pci.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4ce7928f

MODULE_NAME: pci

FAULTING_MODULE: fffff88000f1c000 pci

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x9F

PROCESS_NAME: mscorsvw.exe

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

STACK_TEXT:
fffff800`047786f8 fffff800`02eeccd2 : 00000000`0000009f 00000000`00000003 fffffa80`07b4d060 fffff800`04778748 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff800`04778700 fffff800`02e8a5fc : fffff800`04778830 fffff800`04778830 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000001 : nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x34a90
fffff800`047787a0 fffff800`02e8a496 : fffff800`03029f00 00000000`005e2857 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiProcessTimerDpcTable+0x6c
fffff800`04778810 fffff800`02e8a37e : 000000e0`21a4e56b fffff800`04778e88 00000000`005e2857 fffff800`02ff7d68 : nt!KiProcessExpiredTimerList+0xc6
fffff800`04778e60 fffff800`02e8a167 : fffff800`02ff4ec1 fffffa80`005e2857 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000057 : nt!KiTimerExpiration+0x1be
fffff800`04778f00 fffff800`02e81765 : 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`126e7b60 00000000`00000000 fffff800`02f30760 : nt!KiRetireDpcList+0x277
fffff800`04778fb0 fffff800`02e8157c : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KxRetireDpcList+0x5
fffff880`0afe7aa0 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiDispatchInterruptContinue
STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_e1c62x64_IMAGE_pci.sys

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_e1c62x64_IMAGE_pci.sys

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

0: kd> !irp fffffa8007fd3b80 1
Irp is active with 4 stacks 3 is current (= 0xfffffa8007fd3ce0)
No Mdl: No System Buffer: Thread 00000000: Irp stack trace.
Flags = 00000000
ThreadListEntry.Flink = fffffa8007fd3ba0
ThreadListEntry.Blink = fffffa8007fd3ba0
IoStatus.Status = c00000bb
IoStatus.Information = 00000000
RequestorMode = 00000000
Cancel = 00
CancelIrql = 0
ApcEnvironment = 00
UserIosb = 00000000
UserEvent = 00000000
Overlay.AsynchronousParameters.UserApcRoutine = 00000000
Overlay.AsynchronousParameters.UserApcContext = 00000000
Overlay.AllocationSize = 00000000 - 00000000
CancelRoutine = 00000000
UserBuffer = 00000000
&Tail.Overlay.DeviceQueueEntry = fffffa8007fd3bf8
Tail.Overlay.Thread = 00000000
Tail.Overlay.AuxiliaryBuffer = 00000000
Tail.Overlay.ListEntry.Flink = fffffa80125b20b8
Tail.Overlay.ListEntry.Blink = fffff80003029ae0
Tail.Overlay.CurrentStackLocation = fffffa8007fd3ce0
Tail.Overlay.OriginalFileObject = 00000000
Tail.Apc = 00000000
Tail.CompletionKey = 00000000
cmd flg cl Device File Completion-Context
[ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000

Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
[ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 0000000... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/234999-bsod-when-trying-sleep-hibernate-bugcheck-code-0x9f.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I am having an issue with my laptop that has just recently showed up though I have had the computer for over two years and have had Windows on it essentially since release Because I go back to the computer frequently over the course of the day Sleep/Hibernate issue I have always put it into sleep mode Lately however when I go to 'wake' the computer I can hear the drive spin up and the power light indicates that the computer is back to being active however the display does not come on at all and the keyboard is unresponsive trying capslock and such to check Hunting around the internet the general consensus in the few threads I have found was 'update your graphics driver' however I have uninstalled then re-installed the most up to date driver from Toshiba as well as getting uninstalling Sleep/Hibernate issue that and installing the most current driver released directly from ATI Both times have attempted this process about twice per sleep mode and hibernate as well will work for a day or so then return to that same issue Windows itself should not be corrupt or have registry errors already as I had wiped and done a fresh install just a couple of months ago and am fairly vigilant when it comes to security Most issues I'm able to either sort out myself or Sleep/Hibernate issue look up the solution of my own accord but this one has me stumped so any offerings would be appreciated Technical info Windows Professional bit with all major updates installed it is set so I can cherrypick the updates I wish to install and thus leave out items like internet explorer updates and such that I do not use ATI Radeon Graphics card gig RAM AMD Turion Dual core GHZ Security Software Norton Internet Security Netbook edition not a big Norton fan but since my dad had a spare license I'll take the freebie with Adaware anti-spyware and Noscript Adblock plugins for firefox Thank you for your time

A:Sleep/Hibernate issue

Hi -

Get rid of Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Norton Internet Security.

Uninstall Ad-Aware, then re-boot to allow removal of boot and kernel mode drivers.

NIS/ N360 removal - http://jcgriff2.com/NRT_N360_Removal.html

Reboot upon completion.

Install MSE - http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Allow ALL Windows Updates to come in - www.update.microsoft.com

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sleep-hibernate-issue-525917.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have done a fresh installation of windows 10Prox64 on this laptop which originally came pre-loaded with windows7 Prox64. I installed the drivers on the disk included. now everytime the laptop hibernates or sleeps i can not wake it up - the screen flashes several times then goes white. Nothing comes up on the screen not even the mouse pointer. i can only proceed by doing a forced power off and when i power it up works normally as long as it does not sleep. i have installed all driver/windows updates with the same result. Is there anything else i can try other than return it to HP?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/sleep-hibernate-issue/td-p/5644196
Relevancy 74.39%

I have my power options set as follows SLEEP --Sleep after -----On battery minutes -----Plugged in Never --Allow hybrid sleep -----On battery Never -----Plugged in Never --Hibernate after -----On battery minutes -----Plugged in minutes --Allow wake timers -----On Battery Disable -----Plugged in Disable POWER BUTTONS AND LID --Lid close action -----On battery Sleep -----Plugged in Do nothing --Power button action -----On battery Hibernate Sleep to Issue Hibernate -- -----Plugged in Hibernate --Sleep button action -----On battery Sleep -----Plugged in Sleep Here is the issue I am experiencing When running Windows I can close my laptop and it will sleep minutes later it will kick up and go into hibernation just like I want it to When running Windows Consumer Preview I can close my laptop and it will sleep minutes later it will kick up and try to Sleep to Hibernate -- Issue hibernate but will fail Thus it will idle for a few minutes and go back to sleep minutes later it will try to hibernate again get stuck in idle and go back to sleep This is killing my battery If I simply hit power button it will hibernate But I'm not sure why it's not going from sleep to hibernate properly

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/4630-sleep-hibernate-issue.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have my power options set as follows SLEEP --Sleep after Hibernate Issue to -- Sleep -----On battery minutes -----Plugged in Never --Allow hybrid sleep -----On battery Never -----Plugged in Never --Hibernate after -----On battery minutes -----Plugged in minutes Sleep to Hibernate -- Issue --Allow wake timers -----On Battery Disable -----Plugged in Disable POWER BUTTONS AND LID --Lid close action -----On battery Sleep -----Plugged in Do nothing --Power button action -----On battery Hibernate -----Plugged in Hibernate --Sleep button action -----On battery Sleep -----Plugged in Sleep Here is the issue I am experiencing When running Windows I can close my laptop and it will sleep minutes later it will kick up and go into hibernation just like I want it to When running Windows Consumer Preview I can close my laptop and it will sleep minutes later it will kick up and try to hibernate but will fail Thus it will idle for a few minutes and go back to sleep minutes later it will try to hibernate again get stuck in idle and go back to sleep This is killing my battery If I simply hit power button it will hibernate But I'm not sure why it's not going from sleep to hibernate properly

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/4630-sleep-hibernate-issue.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Just got a new desktop Hibernate/Sleep Issue 8.1 Windows with Windows installed Was originally having some issues getting the computer to go into hibernate and read online to try disabling some of the homegroup settings since I'm not even connected to a homegroup Now Hibernate/Sleep Issue Windows 8.1 no matter what I do the computer hibernates between - minutes after going to sleep When I say sleep I mean I can move the mouse to wake the computer up and at least one of the fans is still running About two minutes later if I leave the computer asleep the fan will shut off I can hear it power down and I have to hit the power button to turn the computer back on which takes me back to the screen I left it on the same as sleep I have tried going into advanced power options and completely disabling hibernate changed the hibernate time to much longer turned off hybrid sleep changed how long it takes the computer to sleep restored to default power settings - nothing seems to work it always hibernates - minutes later I do want the computer to hibernate eventually but not minutes after going to sleep I would like it to do something like sleep after minutes and hibernate minutes after that I have also noticed if I manually go up to power right click and choose Sleep it shuts all the fans off and requires the power button to be pressed to turn on like it's quot hibernating quot Does anyone have any ideas This is extremely frustrating

A:Hibernate/Sleep Issue Windows 8.1

Not sure if this will help or not, I opened a cmd.exe and typed "powercfg.exe -h off" This completely removed the hibernate option from the Power Options, however the computer is still doing the same things described above.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/56807-hibernate-sleep-issue-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 73.53%

i have an S440 with Windows 10 Pro which doesnt go to hibernate if it is used longer than a few hours by closing the lid or similar. It randomly goes if it is used under an hour or so. The red button on the lid is flashing and laptop gets very hot if I put it into a bag. Or the battery goes off it stays like that long time.  I need to open the lid back and hold the power button long time to put it hibernation which is extremely annoying.  I did hundreds of options from Fingerprint Software removal to BIOS Update, from drivers update to disabling swictable graphics driver, installating Power Manager for overriding settings and many other several suggestions but nothings works.  I would extremely appreciate if someone could help this neverending problem.  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Random-Hibernate-Sleep-Issue/td-p/3442429
Relevancy 73.53%

We are currently having an issue with the HP G failing when attempting to wake it up from a sleep state nbsp We believe that the issue only occurs when the laptop has an external monitor attached via VGA nbsp Our system info nbsp Core i - U GHz GB RAMWindows Enterprise -bitBIOS versions Rev A and Rev A we are testing this issue with both Display driver versions Intel and we are testing this issue with both nbsp These are domain systems and are set through group policy nbsp Power Management Button Settings - no changeHard Disk Settings - always on set to for battery and plugged inNotification Settings - no changeSleep Settings abc order - nbsp 450 G2 sleep/hibernate issue HP ProBook - Allow apps enabled nbsp Allow automatic not config nbsp Allow standby disabled nbsp Require pass enabled nbsp Specify hibernate enabled set to nbsp Specify sleep on battery enabled set to Specify sleep plugged in enabled set to nbsp Specify unnintended on battery enabled set to Specify unnintended on battery enabled set to nbsp Turn off HP ProBook 450 G2 - sleep/hibernate issue Hybrid Sleep enabled nbsp Turn on the ability enabled nbsp Video and Display settings - all are Not Configured except nbsp Turn off the Display enabled set to nbsp We have applied these policies and have one laptop with the newest video driver old BIOS one with the new BIOS and old video one with both new and one with both old nbsp We are trying everything logical and for now we have set them to never sleep since its crunch time unfortunately it also occurs when the display turns off while an external monitor is plugged into VGA nbsp Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated nbsp nbsp nbsp

A:HP ProBook 450 G2 - sleep/hibernate issue

I also have this issue. The machine will hang after being commanded to sleep, the lights flash momentarily, and then will turn back on into a sort of limbo state where the fan runs at full speed and the lights are on, but nothing responds. This mode requires pressing and holding the power button to shut the machine off and restart. Also, it should be noted that this machine is only 4 hours old and has no additional software installed yet, nor does it have any issues that would be related to age

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-ProBook-450-G2-sleep-hibernate-issue/td-p/5215637
Relevancy 72.67%

This is an old question going back decades but I have never got to the bottom of it Arguments against sleep and Hibernation Machine quot does not get a best Shut hardware longevity? which down or is Sleep/Hibernation: for rest quot Shut down or Sleep/Hibernation: which is best for hardware longevity? whatever that means with a non-mechanical object Does not save much power Arguments against shutdown It takes a little longer to return the machine to use Files must be closed no open files on the desktop if you want that sort of thing avoids the so-called quot rush of power into the machine which stresses it quot If there are disadvantages in both situations the estimated length of time between sleep Shut down or Sleep/Hibernation: which is best for hardware longevity? hibernation and awakening and between shutdown and re-starting is important A long period would obviously favour shutdown So Are the disadvantages above valid or indeed important and If the disadvantages are valid what is the guideline For example if the period is likely to be gt mins shut down if less sleep or hibernate Or is this like worrying about how many angels can dance on a pinhead

A:Shut down or Sleep/Hibernation: which is best for hardware longevity?

Hi everyone will have their own opinion. As for me I never shut down desktop computer. Only time is when a storm is in the area. Laptop get shutdown after use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/374516-shut-down-sleep-hibernation-best-hardware-longevity.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Updated bios via the insyde bios flash utility from website, now computer will not shut down or go into sleep mode. Screen will shut off, but fan continues to run and lights(WIFI and power buttons) stay on. Also, fan seems to be stuck at always on even when disabled in bios.  Windows 7 w/ dual boot of linux mint. Linux even worse for shutting down, screen won't even shut off and just hangs at page with LM logo.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Computer-won-t-sleep-or-shut-down-properly-after-BIOS-update/td-p/5632837
Relevancy 63.64%

i recently bought gb of noob] issue [hardware Bios/RAM ram to upgrade from gb but when in install the ram x gb sticks it only reads one i have ram slots [hardware noob] Bios/RAM issue on the mobo i checked the bios the bios shows slots grayed out except for the first ram slot which is the one its reading so in a nutshell my bios shows grayed out quot memory bank quot slots and one of them the first one shows mb of ram what i tried i tried installing one stick gb in the nd rd th slots to see if the problem was that the mobo would somehow only read slot of ram but it seems only the first slot actually works do i need to get a Bios Update i woul like t opost my hardre specs but im not too sure where to get proper info the best i could do is run dxdiag Code ' System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name CG Operating System Windows XP Professional Build Service Pack xpsp sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer HP Pavilion System Model RF AA-ABA M n BIOS Phoenix - AwardBIOS v PG Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor MMX DNow CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C WINDOWS DirectX Version DirectX c DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode please help nbsp

A:[hardware noob] Bios/RAM issue

*bump*

any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hardware-noob-bios-ram-issue.720369/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello, Lenovo team Can you please, add to your next BIOS update for Lenovo Y50-70 a fix, that my laptop won't lose CPU speed after i return my laptop from sleep mode. Right now i'm using BIOS version (3.03) There is no other way to fix this issue, only you can do it with a BIOS update for that model of laptop. Thank you.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Lenovo-Y50-70-BIOS-UPDATE-CPU-Sleep-mode-issue/td-p/3316888
Relevancy 62.35%

Whether I choose any option other than to turn PC off, instead of tapping spacebar on my MS wireless keyboard I have to tap the button for power on the tower, then the monitor turns on as the fan runs, but always a black screen. So then I have to do a manual boot and select to start normally.

Started a week ago, around the same time as a graphics card failure. I installed a new PNY GeForce, updated ALL drivers on my Gateway DX4710-UB301A, (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AVG antivirus free 2014) played with power management and startup config settings, trolled forums, performed malware scans, and still can't figure out the issue. 

Please help!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520005/groggy-wake-up-from-sleep-hybrid-sleep-or-hibernate/
Relevancy 62.35%

I was trying to use the removal tools in the Security Tools Removal Guide when my computer went into a continual reboot cycle until there was no monitor mouse or hardware activity I shut down holding the case switch Reboot had nothing but some circuity lights on the mobo fans and a quot floppy search There is no monitor keyboard or mouse activity Don t know if BIOS was posting or stopped I can t find a boot floppy for that system Note I was not able to install Malewarebytes prior to quot melt-down quot Security Tool was active activated The guide does not indicate the above problem in the behavior traits and I am unable to find similar on web and this forum searches Have I got a combination hardware malware problem I have issue? Tool- corrupt Can Or, Hardware it is BIOS? it Security started and processed most hardware tests on another machine Graphics memory sticks and OS HDD work Loaded all the cleanup tools ran two antimalware programs--Malwarebytes Spybot S amp D--and cleared the found rogue files those programs Security Tool- Can it corrupt BIOS? Or, is it Hardware issue? identified A new CR battery was installed and son reset the CMOS What remains to be tested are mobo and Intel Core chip The system is passive cooling and the Ninja processor cooling tower is a bear to deal with Before I dig into those remaining devices I m not a Geek just very poor right now I was hoping you could confirm advise whether this is a malware or hardware Security Tool- Can it corrupt BIOS? Or, is it Hardware issue? problem Thanks hbm

A:Security Tool- Can it corrupt BIOS? Or, is it Hardware issue?

Addendum to first post:

OS is XP-pro-sp3, w/ MS updates and manual install of those.
PSU seems OK; various parts are getting juice.

No prior malware scanners were installed. Firewall is MS default.
Aniti-virus is ESET NOD antivirus only

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/309487/security-tool-can-it-corrupt-bios-or-is-it-hardware-issue/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello,
When I press Restore Settings button in BIOS setting (through F2 when Dell logo is displayed at booting) then the dialog with two options is shown:

BIOS Defaults
Factory Settings

What is the difference about these two options (BIOS Defaults vs. Factory Settings) please?
Thank you.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984839
Relevancy 61.92%

I have this issue: https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/documents/SF16-I0012Unfortunately the link in the solution for the BIOS update results in a "Page not found" error. Can I download a BIOS update anywhere else? Or are there different solutions? Current BIOS version is "cdcn28ww".

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y700-15ISK-sleep-mode-issue-and-no-BIOS-update-available/td-p/3364544
Relevancy 60.2%

I was running Windows for a long time sleep PC from on powers only with no problem It would sleep and wake up just fine One day it would not go to sleep any more I never got to PC only powers on from sleep fix it before upgrading to Windows After upgrading the system still would not go to sleep I did some research and basically found using the Powercfg command tells me what devices are requesting power and updating drivers I was able to finally get my system to go to sleep again but PC only powers on from sleep now when it wakes up it only powers on It does not seem to POST so it does not appear to spin up any of the hard drives or get anywhere close to booting the OS Any ideas what else I can check My system was designed for Vista but ran just fine with Windows I don't know if there are Windows drivers for any of the motherboard components It is a HP Paviliion Elite m t Thanks in advance

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/21609-pc-only-powers-sleep.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I've been all over the internet trying to figure this problem out, but when I try to put my computer to asleep, it does as I described in the subject line. It's a new PC, though it was custom built.

Anyway, I've tried a dozen tips and tricks that haven't worked, and I'm sorry I can't remember what they all were. I've tried adjusting the Power settings, and tried changing options somewhere that said "Allow computer to sleep". With all the changes I've made, it should sleep.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:PC won't sleep (Everything powers off except the PC itself)

The top cause is normally the Display driver so update it first. Then check Power Management tabs on Display and LAN drivers to see that they won't wake the computer.

Next run this Sleep query command to see what is causing the failure.

Others steps here: Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

If all else fails this will determine the cause with certainty: Gathering a Startup, Shutdown, Sleep, Hibernate, or Reboot Trace - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/221197-pc-wont-sleep-everything-powers-off-except-pc-itself.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi, just got the basic XPS 15 9550 from MicrosotStore. I noticed that if either I just closed the lid, or manually select "Sleep", when press power to return the computer actually restarts (like if it had a forced shutdown) instead of waking up to where I left it. for instance, office documents will appear as recovered, browsers will appear as forced closed. 
any known solutions or suggestions on how to debug this issue?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19987296
Relevancy 59.34%

When I Shut Down my computer Everything acts normally but Shut Down powers after no down longer Computer when the screen fades to black my computer stays on Computer no longer powers down after Shut Down No error messages Vista seems to shut down normally but hangs right before where the computer should turn off I have a new Dell Inspiron I believe the situation began with either installing Netflix desktop movie app which the morning after my computer had problems booting up or after a botched install of HP printer software drivers I have recently uninstalled these HP programs Hopefully one of those two are the issue so I at least have a starting point I saw no uninstall for Netflix movie app I guess my questions are any ideas on how to fix this And would there be a problem if I deleted the Hewlett-Packard folder from the Registry People say don't touch the registry but maybe what's in there is screwing things up Can I delete the Netflix registry folder too Any possibility of screwing up my system by doing so Thanks for your input

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-no-longer-powers-down-after-shut-down-273258.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I am working on A Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop OS Windows Vista Home Premium.

When I Shut Down my computer. Everything acts normally, but when the screen fades to black, my computer stays on. No error messages; Vista seems to shut down normally but hangs right before where the computer should turn off.

The situation began after Dell Support Tech installed a New Motherboard.
All Drivers and the BIOS have been updated and all settings that would tell the Computer to Sleep or Hibernate have been set to Never.

The PC will not power down even if you hold in on the Power Button.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so do you have any suggestions on a solution ?

A:Computer no longer powers down after Shut Down

is pnp and apm enabled in the bios

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-no-longer-powers-down-after-shut-down-308485.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello

My computer has been randomly freezing over the last month. I would come in the morning and the screens wouldn't wake up from shut down mode (those are my power settings) but it got really bad last week when it happened about 5 times in an hour while I was using skype and while I was trying to move files around. Usually what happens is the whole computer just locks up. Today, I actually got a BSOD with the 116 error code. When I rebooted, it something about a BIOS error and had to rebuild it or something. I didn't write it down but once it was done, I rebooted and got back into windows.

I'm at wits end at this point. The fact it just seems to be escalating in frequency worries me. I haven't added any new hardware in years.

Thanks for much for the help!

A:BSOD code 116, lots of random freezes the require reboot, bios issue?

The ACER PID on your retail Gigabyte motherboard means your OS is counterfeit.
Code:
Host Name: TAMERAX-STUDIO
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
OS Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: tamerax
Registered Organization:
Product ID: 00426-OEM-8992662-00006 ---> ACER PID
Original Install Date: 5/11/2011, 11:38:24 AM
System Boot Time: 8/25/2015, 12:22:16 PM
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P67A-UD3P-B3
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~3392 Mhz
BIOS Version: Award Software International, Inc. F4, 4/13/2011
Counterfeit installations such as yours can contain heavily modified code that can cause the installation to behave in unexpected ways. Analysing BSODs and determining their causes on these sorts of installations is completely unreliable, and for this reason most analysts won't attempt it.

My recommendation is to install a genuine copy of Windows 7. This will minimise the problems you are experiencing and make subsequent diagnosis of BSODs far more reliable. Once you are running a genuine Windows 7 installation and are still experiencing BSODs, upload your new logs we will be happy to help you solve them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/379612-bsod-code-116-lots-random-freezes-require-reboot-bios-issue.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I'm having an issue with my sleep/restart/shut down functions.

-if I choose to restart the computer shuts down
-if I choose to shut down or sleep the screen goes black, the fan runs and the keyboard is not responsive (caps lock doesn't register when clicked)

i haved tried the following with no luck:

-hardware diagnostics
-enabled turning off of wireless network adapter
-updated video drivers (nvidia)
-disabled hibernate sleep

If I attempt to shutdown from safe mode the screen locks on the "Shutting down ..." screen.

Any help would be most appreciated.

A:Sleep issues (never powers off)

Update chipset and storage drivers
If that doesn't help, please provide this info (even though you're not seeing BSOD's): http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/179018-sleep-issues-never-powers-off.html
Relevancy 59.34%

In order to wake up my laptop from sleeping I have to hit the power button. The Dell Logo appears and then I'm prompted to sign in. Normally with other laptops I just hit any key and it returns me to my desktop.
Is there something wrong with my laptop or is it normal for these laptops to have to hit the power button to wake it up from sleep?
Thanks.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19989446
Relevancy 59.34%

As of today, I am no longer able to successfully wake my XPS 15 9550 from sleep. Yesterday it worked fine, today, every time, without fail, the computer's keyboard will light up and then it will auto-restart after about 30 seconds of no response. I am not in the Windows insider program and I did not install any software. Attempting to use system restore to my last point yields an unknown error.
sfc /scannow shows no violations.

A:XPS 15 9550 - Crash on resume from sleep

Hi,
Thank you for writing to us!
Kindly follow the steps below .

Click Start , type command in the Start Search box, right-click Command Prompt in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

At the command prompt, type powercfg /a. 

Check the output of the command
Also you may follow these below steps.

A hardware device might be keeping your computer awake. USB flash drives and USB mice are common devices that can keep your computer awake. Make sure that you have the most current drivers all of your devices.
To prevent a device from waking your computer
1.      Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.‌  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2.      In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to prevent from waking your computer, and then double-click the device name.
3.      Click the Power Management tab and then clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box.
4.      Click OK.
A program or scheduled task might be waking your computer. By default, Power Option settings do not allow scheduled tasks to wake the computer from sleep or hibernate. However, some programs might awaken the computer if these settings have been changed.
To prevent programs from waking your computer
5.      Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.
6.      On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.
7.      On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.
8.      On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK.
Kindly let us know if the issue is resolved.
Thanks
Robin

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19678052
Relevancy 58.91%

I have the 1TB NVMe SSD (Samsung PM951) and can't get hardware Bitlocker encryption working. Can someone confirm whether the PM951 supports eDrive/TCG Opal? If not, will a firmware update enable support in the future?
I have the TPM and UEFI enabled, but when I try to set up Bitlocker, I do not get the hardware encryption option. Seems like the PM951 should support this like Samsung's retail drives. I can't even use the Samsung disk utilities to investigate because those are only for retail drives.

A:XPS 15 9550 SSD Hardware Encryption / Bitlocker

I'm also interested in this issue for my XPS twin Precision 5510. Please let me know if you find something out!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19665424
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey all this New PC, No Hardware: up, Help!!! POST. PC Powers is a good one and I would so appreciate anyone that can PC Hardware: New PC, Powers up, No POST. Help!!! help I d fly out to you and shake your hand personally haha I ve built this PC over a year ago and been at it off and on ever since I start my pilot training and the PC would be great to run Flight Sim X and would help me greatly Now I m stuck using an old cheap and slow Sempron just to get me online Here goes This is a list of all the parts I ordered a year ago this first time for this pc Memory PQI MB Dual Channel DDR PC MHz x CPU Cooling Fan Thermaltake Golden Orb II Cooler for Intel AMD M B Intel D XBKLKR Socket Motherboard CPU Intel Pentium D gGHz DT FSB Socket Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GS MB PCIe w DVI TV-OUT HDD Maxtor GB SATA- G HD MB SATA- G Other various components included a floppy drive dvd-rom drive and a dvd-rw drive The first time I assembled everything using all precautions I had been custom building PCs for years before this and had several successful PCs built for myself and others to this point I went to first up the PC and I got nothing The monitor got a signal and the light on the power button on the monitor would sometimes go from yellow to green and sometimes not I don t recall hearing any beeps and all the fans spun up as well as the HDD amp cd-rom drives had power After several trial and error runs of power-ups nothing changed I was convinced maybe the M B or CPU was defected I called Tiger Direct and they exchanged the M B amp CPU to me for a brand new one of the exact same kind for no cost Great aren t they Connected everything to the new M B amp new CPU and still nothing Same problem Next I thought maybe the stock Power Supply wasn t enough for this great setup I went to Best Buy and purchased a NEO Antec SLI-ready W PS for Connected everything back up and nothing Same problem In the meantime my uncle who works for the DOD in Sacramento CA was visiting He is a computer engineer He examined it and we could not come to an immediate conclusion Granted he did not have any tools or resources with him at the time I then brought it up to a local computer repair shop where they had it for almost months Only to find nothing They couldn t do a thing So I took my un-working new PC back Desperate I ordered a brand new Motherboard and kept the same CPU I ordered a new ASUS P N SLI-ready M B with similiar specs as the Intel one Hooked everything up and fired it up Here s where it gets interesting It worked I actually received a POST Screen and was able to access the BIOS However apparently my CPU Cooling fan wasn t doing the trick I received a warning from the BIOS and the computer would power off to prevent overheating of the CPU Great So I ordered a top-of-the line CPU Cooler don t remember the exact kind off hand the box is in the garage it was well suited though Cost me around New heatsink compount thermal gel and all So I hooked that up and turned it on and back to square one PC did exactly what it did when I first built it nothing Powered up but no display no beeps and no POST And that s where I left off Do you think the M B is shorted Did the CPU overheat Is the Power Supply adequate I m baffled at why it would work I replaced the CPU fan and now nada I had to remove the M B in order to replace the LGA Socket fan Do you think something happened in between there and if so what Please any help on this would be appreciated I d love for this machine which I paid good money for and looked foreward to using for over a year to stop collecting dust and start working Thank you all for your time Matt nbsp

A:PC Hardware: New PC, Powers up, No POST. Help!!!

Depending on which cooling fan you have, sometimes it takes a little tweaking to get it mounted on perfectly straight, make sure all the screws are tightened to the same tightness and not tightened too tight(as this can somethimes bend the board causing poor contact). I often forget to plug in the atx 12v connector(the four pin one usually located near the cpu), so you might want to check on that too. Other than that I really don't know what to tell you besides check over everything carefully. Sorry to hear the bad news, hope i can help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-hardware-new-pc-powers-up-no-post-help.85659/
Relevancy 58.91%

After returning from sleep, the external monitor does not seem to 'wake up'.
In order for it to receive input I need to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it in again.
I have updated all latest drivers, except the BIOS which is on A06 since I do not want to upgrade it (yet) since the higher versions currently cause the screen's brightness to flicker. Unless this BIOS is known to address these issues (not listed in the details) I do not see a reason to upgrade it (again).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19990507
Relevancy 58.91%

I was having sleep problems and after messing around with different settings and configurations I finally found the problem. If I have an external monitor plugged into my laptop via HDMI the computer refuses to go to sleep. As soon as I tell it to go to sleep it will immediately wake up after a few seconds. I also have an type-c to VGA adapter that does not have this problem so its not a general external monitor issue its only with the HDMI port.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19987934
Relevancy 58.91%

I have an odd problem I ve noticed that when I close XPS put closed is powers sleep Dell and lid to 13 up after my XPS it shuts down as indicated by the annoying front LED but then later on it will start back up while it s being transported Sometimes I ll get home take it out of the computer case and it will be as hot as a thermal missile because it s been running I m not sure why it would just Dell XPS 13 powers up after lid is closed and put to sleep randomly start up like that I have the Dell XPS 13 powers up after lid is closed and put to sleep power options to quot sleep quot when lid is closed as seen here nbsp http i imgur Dell XPS 13 powers up after lid is closed and put to sleep com p x C png I don t believe I have malware because I have reset my computer to factory settings on multiple occasions and scanned with SpyBot and Windows Defender In Bios quot Wake on LAN quot is Disabled For the life of me I can t think what would be triggering this besides the NSA I joke Does this happen to anyone else Did you find a fix for it Was it a dell program Or is there a faulty piece of hardware on this computer Any comments suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19987753
Relevancy 58.05%

After a cold boot, I'm able to copy gigabytes of files from a 16GB SD card in the internal card reader, even with many other programs running. But when I put the computer to sleep mode and then wake it up, I'm only able to copy a file or two at a time before I get a "There is not enough memory to complete this operation" error, followed by an automatic dismount and remount of the SD card. The only way to get it working again is a restart. The SD card works fine, as I don't have this issue when using an external SD card reader. There is plenty of memory free (6GB of 16GB). I've reinstalled the card reader driver from Dell.
Any ideas on what to try? Seems like a BIOS or driver issue to me.

A:XPS 15 9550 SD card reader stops working after sleep

Hi Dantees, 
Good day. 
When did the issue start? Is that a SanDisk card? 
Have you tried different make of cards just in case. 
Simultaneously please try this step and  let us know how it goes. 
I right-clicked on the SD card device in device manager under Disk Drives, click properties, then go to the policies tab and then select "best performance". 
Await your response.
Regards

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19676142
Relevancy 58.05%

I know I'm new here so thanks for taking the chance to read this

I put my laptop in sleep mode before leaving to starbucks.
I open my laptop and press the power button
The internal fans start turning as well as the disc drive, but the screen remains blank.

I have heard that Windows 7 has multiple issues with the sleep mode, and I'm pretty sure laptop is now stuck in hybrid sleep??

Also, I noticed that there is a hotfix for this provided by microsoft, but I would have no way to use this since my computer cannot get stuck out of this. After Researching this, I heard some people taking out the battery and holding the power button down for 30 seconds, then running it off of a/c power. This too has failed me

Any help would be great,
And Thanks again for reading this post.

A:After Sleep Mode, Laptop powers on but screen does not

Welcome!

Is this a recurring problem, or did it happen once and you still power on the screen?

If you can use the computer, I would recommend updating your graphics drivers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/60726-after-sleep-mode-laptop-powers-but-screen-does-not.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Have HP DV5Z-1100 Notebook running Vista home premium 32 bit.
Machine is running on the power supply
Put to sleep using Function F5.
Machine sleeps, all indicators off except power light and light on power button which blink at 2 second intervals..
Machine will sleep as long as 12 hours or more, but will also power off possibly in less time.
Hitting the power button wakes machine with message, "Resuming Windows"
Loaded latest version of BIOS as per HP support
Reinstalled Power Manegement as per HP support
This is not really a PROBLEM, but it should work properly.

A:Sleep mode powers off after long time.

Hello Cranford, and welcome to Vista Forums.

It sounds like it is working properly. From what you described, your computer is set for "Hybrid" mode and goes to "Sleep", then after a some time, it then enters "Hibernation" and the power light stops blinking. This is why you get the "Resuming Windows" when you wake up your computer from hibernation. The amount of time it takes will depend on what you have your "Hibernate after" time set for in the while on battery and while plugged in Power Plan Options.

Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/216545-sleep-mode-powers-off-after-long-time.html
Relevancy 58.05%

when the sytem enters in sleep mode it automatically powers off and i have to again restart the laptop recently updated intel graphics driver  plzz help me i am stuck due to this issue  Thanks in advance

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/system-automatically-powers-off-in-sleep-mode/td-p/5798623
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi all I am running with a really old gateway computer but its been with me so long I hate to see it gone Here is my info purchased Gateway PERFORMANCE CX Windows XP powers stays up Computer sleep but mode in Home I think sp upgrade not sure though could be sp Intel Monterrey Motherboard - -GHz Pentium MEM RIMM -MB PC BIT R Computer powers up but stays in sleep mode Western Digital -GB XL Hard Disk Drive MB NVIDIA GeForce MX AGP Video Card My problem My computer was working fine and one day when I went to start it up the computer powered up but only into sleep mode Meaning the power light on the outside never turned green it stayed orange Hence the monitor never fired up stays in energy saving mode and never showed any sort of boot up What do you think the main problem could be I would be willing to throw in to fix this thing just because I have some sentimental value to it Could it be as simple as just needing a new HD or is the motherboard shot Steps I have taken have been limited I have unplugged an reattached all cords opened up the tower and cleaned the fan and dust Nothing grossly looks abnormal meaning no burnt marks or smoke I know very basic stuff haha Thanks for any help

A:Computer powers up but stays in sleep mode

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.fonerbooks.com/pcrepair.htm

Free PDF from the Revised Edition of the eight flowcharts on this site.

You should probably skip to the video fail part... but it doesn't hurt to start from the beginning. This is a flowchart anyone knowledgeable could draw you and something an idiot could follow. It's a PDF file so you'll need a PDF reader... which is most likely already installed.

I think you'll love the little thing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-powers-up-but-stays-in-sleep-mode-430930.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi I have read amp tried so much stuff on the following issues and now feel I really need some help Basically I keep getting the following errors quot Hardware Failure quot mainly quot IRQL Not less or equal quot occasionally quot Device Driver quot or quot Video Graphics quot occasionally I started getting these with playing games at first but now seem to get it Hardware & - 9550? Errors Driver ATI Radeon Failure with simply Hardware Failure & Driver Errors - ATI Radeon 9550? surfing I checked the event logs which only said quot SYSTEM ERROR quot I check my cpu temp which is always around c so ok After reading about possible causes I decided to check my ram I used some spare ram from another pc swapped Hardware Failure & Driver Errors - ATI Radeon 9550? paired unpaired etc but still got the same issues I downloaded the latest drivers for my mobo graphics card amp sound - No Joy Then I tried to repair windows When doing this Hardware Failure & Driver Errors - ATI Radeon 9550? however I got a BSOD I couldn t do anything - it would go to the BSOD immeadiatley Luckily I had used that hard drive purely as a boot up drive so was able to instal it a fresh on my slave However I still got the same errors Next I decided to remove my graphics card amp drivers to test with just the on-board graphics card So updated the drivers It seemed to work for about half a day but then started crashing again with the same hardware driver errors but alot less frequently What am I missing Does the fact that I get a hardware error necessarily mean I have a hardware error or could it be a driver problem I am pretty sure I have all the latest drivers but it wouldn t suprise me if I was missing something Or is it likely I have a CPU MOBO PSU problem I know this is long winded but Ive been trying to sort it for a couple of weeks now Thanks in advance PC Spec ASRock K S GX mb ddr ram plus various sticks AMD Athlon XP Seagate barracuda hard drive NEC dvdr nbsp

A:Hardware Failure & Driver Errors - ATI Radeon 9550?

Hi, this is a Hard drive problem, the HDD has been corrupted and the system is unable read the Filesystem and Partition Table data on the hdd correctly. A repair install will not always work. Best solution is to Delete the Partition/s on the HDD, recreate partion/s and full format each partition. Make sure you set the partition you intend to use as your SYSTEM DRIVE as active after you recreate it.

You should save your Data (only your doccuments and media files) Not the doccuments and Settings, windows, or program files directories. because you will probably find that windows is also corrupted and will not repair but will BSOD when initializing system drivers. Use a HDD regeneration utility to make sure that any bad sectors are repaired or marked as bad so that windows does not attempt to use the bad sectors.

this is usually caused by virus atack, system crash, incorrect shutdowns causing improper HDD dismounts, if have partition magic or similar utility you will probably see that the partition is marked as bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-failure-driver-errors-ati-radeon-9550.53590/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi I have read amp tried so much stuff on the following issues and now feel I really need some help Basically I keep getting the following errors - Hardware Driver 9550? Failure ATI Radeon & Errors quot Hardware Failure quot mainly quot IRQL Not less or equal quot occasionally quot Device Driver quot or quot Video Graphics quot occasionally I started getting these with playing games at first but now seem to get it with simply surfing I checked the event logs which only said quot SYSTEM ERROR quot I check my cpu temp which is always around c Hardware Failure & Driver Errors - ATI Radeon 9550? so ok After reading about possible causes I decided to check my ram I used some spare ram from another pc swapped paired unpaired etc but still got the same issues I downloaded the latest drivers for my mobo graphics card amp sound - No Joy Then I tried to repair windows When doing this however I got a BSOD I couldn t do anything - it would go to the BSOD immeadiatley Luckily I had used that hard drive purely as a boot up drive so was able to instal it a fresh on my slave However I still got the same errors Next I decided to remove my graphics card amp drivers to test with just the on-board graphics card So updated the drivers It seemed to work for about half a day but then started crashing again with the same hardware driver errors but alot less frequently What am I missing Does the fact that I get a hardware error necessarily mean I have a hardware error or could it be a driver problem I am pretty sure I have all the latest drivers but it wouldn t suprise me if I was missing something Or is it likely I have a CPU MOBO PSU problem I know this is long winded but Ive been trying to sort it for a couple of weeks now Thanks in advance PC Spec ASRock K S GX mb ddr ram plus various sticks AMD Athlon XP Seagate barracuda hard drive NEC dvdr nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-failure-driver-errors-ati-radeon-9550.53544/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,
My XPS 15 9550 recently started showing the NVIDIA 960M as having a core 43 error (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems).  I've tried everything I can think of to fix it, including reinstalling BIOS, completely wiping both Intel and NVIDIA drivers out using DDU, reinstalling the latest drivers from the OEM, reinstalling drivers from Dell, but no luck.
Any ideas on how I can debug why I'm getting this error?
Thanks!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19982346
Relevancy 57.19%

I tried to install the new BIOS 1.2.0 for my XPS 15 9550, but could not for some reason.  It just stays with my previous version, 1.1.19.  If there is anyone who has this issue, please share your experiences.  Thanks.

Dell XPS 15 9550 A06 System BIOS
 View details 

File Name: XPS_9550_1.2.0.exe
Importance: Urgent

Description: Windows/DOS (9.21 MB)
Release Date: 12 Apr 2016

Version: 01.02.00 ,01.02.00
Last Updated: 12 Apr 2016

A:XPS 15 9550 BIOS 1.2.0

I figured out...  I use a USB extender connected to a USB 3 port.  If BIOS is updated with the extender, it is not updated.  I guess my XPS tries to boot from the USB 3 port and BIOS upgrade is not completed.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19682707
Relevancy 57.19%

Can anyone give an answer to something that has bothered me for ages?
Does it harm a computer turning it off after you are through, and then back on again later, rather than leave it running?
Does it do less harm to put it in Hibernate mode than to close it down completely?
Is it best to have the system close down the monitor and hard drive after a short period of non-activity and leave the cpu switched on?
Which of these is best for minimising wear and tear on the computer... or is there a fourth option?

A:Shut Down or Hibernate?

Lol that debate comes up pretty frequently.. can probably find a few old threads if you run a search.
in my opinion its pretty much 6 of one half dozen of another. it was a major issue back when screen burn in was common and before harddrives spun down, etc. now its more of a personal preference i think.

I turn mine off at night simply because i dont want to listen to the fans. i leave it on during the day because i dont want to wait for it to boot.

I personally don't like hibernate because it uses too much disk space (often several hundred MB)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shut-down-or-hibernate.114793/
Relevancy 57.19%

My brother says he always puts his computer on Hibernate because it's much faster to boot up. However, I would like to know if this will cause any long term damage to my computer? If not, I may start Hibernating to shave off like 45 seconds in booting up. If so, I'll stick to Shutting Down.

A:Shut Down or Hibernate?

No damage. Microsoft and computer makers (Asus, Gigabyte etc..) would never allow that to happen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/43867-shut-down-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Right i just finished building my computer shown below but from the first boot up till now the system wont shut down i've done all the update i can find and it keeps doing the same thing ill go to start > turn off > it'll start the proccess go to the shut down screne i can here the graphics card shut down and a few other bits the it just keeps running permanently i left it for an hour and every time i want to turn it off i have to use the power button which has so far cost me 2 hard drives im getting broke but i built my brothers and it works fine

(loves rubbing it in my face Grrrrrrrr)

plz god help ......

p.s. i cant install raid or update the bios because it wont work a floppy disk drive not a clue why

A:Shut Down Fault

I have no idea why it won't shut down but you did enable the floppy drive controller in the bios, right?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/shut-down-fault-330886.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello and thanks for your help in advance.  Was hoping someone could provide me the original BIOS settings for all the drive partitions and settings including weather it should be set to RAID or AHCI.  Support had me do an update and it has hosed all the settings for the partitions etc. They do not know what the original SHIPPED settings should be.  Screen prints would be great if you could provide them.
Thanks Again

A:XPS 15 9550 BIOS Settings

Hi, 
Please PM us your email address to send the screenshots of BIOS settings.
Regards

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19663226
Relevancy 56.76%

Today I installed the BIOS and number of drivers updates - I didn't experienced before the screen flickering at low brightness but now it's non stop if I'm on power or if on battery. Something that apparently this BIOS have fixed - any suggestions?

A:Dell XPS 15 9550 01.02.10 BIOS

have the exact same problem after the new bios update - screen is flickering. any way to roll bios back to previous version?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19986108
Relevancy 56.76%

For anyone having issues with BIOS updates up to A now I still recommend you to use BIOS A which does at least not have the following two issues Heavy brightness flickering on any brightness level Introduced in A Battery does not charge above Not fully tested but mine is at now and not charging thus confirming this report P s this is already a battery replacement This was introduced in A I upgraded to the latest BIOS A in conjunction with the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers just released today A in conjunction with a fresh motherboard and screen replacement These are most definitely not hardware issues While debugging the issue for which I got the hardware replacements random touch screen input I also found out that brightness flickering on A did not check A primarily occurs while charging Likewise it seems that my random touch screen input only occurs while charging Does anyone else encounter this I recommend Dell to rather than wasting resources on product support hardware replacements and time of customers to simply address the real issue here Contact whoever is in charge of these firmware releases They are doing a horrendous job implementing them if not at the very least properly 9550 BIOS recommended A06 XPS still testing them Please let me know once a BIOS version has been released addressing both these XPS 9550 BIOS A06 still recommended issues explicitly I will no longer upgrade until this happens

A:XPS 9550 BIOS A06 still recommended

Whathecode
For anyone having issues with BIOS updates (up to A12 now), I still recommend you to use BIOS A06, which does at least not have the following two issues:

Heavy brightness flickering on any brightness level. (Introduced in A10.)
Battery does not charge above 60% (Not fully tested, but mine is at 73% now and not charging, thus confirming this report. P.s. this is already a battery replacement) (This was introduced in A12.)

I upgraded to the latest BIOS (A12) in conjunction with the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers just released today (A07), in conjunction with a fresh motherboard and screen replacement. These are most definitely not hardware issues!
While debugging the issue for which I got the hardware replacements (random touch screen input), I also found out that brightness flickering on A12 (did not check A10) primarily occurs while charging. Likewise, it seems that my random touch screen input only occurs while charging. Does anyone else encounter this?
I recommend Dell to rather than wasting resources on product support, hardware replacements, and time of customers, to simply address the real issue here. Contact whoever is in charge of these firmware releases. They are doing a horrendous job implementing them, if not at the very least, properly testing them.
Please let me know once a BIOS version has been released addressing both these issues explicitly. I will no longer upgrade until this happens.

totally agree. this thread should by sticky'd

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19991027
Relevancy 56.76%

Been through about everything I can think of Power reaches Powers BIOS on PC No the motherboard light is on and there is power to the USB ports CD DVD powers on and the hard drives internal but power is apparently not reaching the processor I had been noticing that USB ports were dying over about a PC Powers on No BIOS month period lost of PC Powers on No BIOS so when this happened I thought it might be the power supply I changed it out for another one but that didn t fix the problem I also unplugged all connected devices to see if that fixed the problem with no success I did also remove the RAM sticks at a time there are I know this isn t a full test but I m not getting RAM error PC Powers on No BIOS post beeps Just for the record I powered up with the power line to the processor area of the motherboard unplugged I got long beeps I guess this could have been long beeps followed by another single one I am curious to know if this could be caused by a software problem with BIOS such as from a malware attack etc The way I understand it if the BIOS is corrupt I will need a new motherboard Otherwise is this more or less a sure thing motherboard problem Also if I replace the motherboard will I have to format the current Windows XP hard drive in the machine and reinstall Windows for the PC to run properly PC is an HP DC small form factor nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

My moms computer shuts down when its put into hibernate. Any ideas?
Also, its a hp pavilion dv7

A:Solved: hibernate to shut down

Hibernate is just like shut down, but it saves your session so you can continue it when you turn back on, instead of starting a new one. Its supposed to turn off like that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hibernate-to-shut-down.938829/
Relevancy 56.33%

Dear Forum,

I am having issues where I have changed the time that the display goes to sleep on my computer. Yet it will never shut down completely.

This is after a power surge that caused it to shut down. Everything is working fine apart from the settings not working.

Attached are screen snips are the current settings that I have it on.

I also have two External Hard Drive attached - one is powered via the USB - 500GB and the other is plugged in 1TB.

Thank you

A:My computer will not shut down or go into hibernate

First thing is to remove any electrical current within the machine and then try to shutdown the machine. To do this please remove your laptop battery from the machine and remove any chargers so that there is no power in the machine and then press the power button. This should clear any stored current. After that please boot up the machine normally and test if shut down works?

If not could you please boot into Safe mode and see if shutting down works from then. If so then there is an application that is preventing Windows from shutting down or hibernating

To boot into safe mode follow this tutorial - Safe Mode

Many Thanks,
Josh!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294735-my-computer-will-not-shut-down-go-into-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

When I don't plan to use my computer for several hours (say, at night when I go to bed), should I set it to: sleep, hibernate, or off?

A:Sleep, hibernate, or off?

I personally turn mine off. Sleep can be problematic especially if you're on older hardware, and hibernate takes a huge chunk of drive space.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/150372-sleep-hibernate-off.html
Relevancy 56.33%

My dad wanted to remove Vista from his Dell Vostro 1700. And obviously i put seven on. Until recently the Sleep and Hibernate options are Gone!!! No where to be found. Avg didn't find any viruses at all... but malware bytes found three the INSTANT i pluged in my SD Card.

I surprisingly made an image of the Laptop, do i have to reapply it?

My dad does not like it when he shuts the screen, then it shutdowns FORCING ALL APPS TO EXIT OR CLOSE!

A:Sleep Hibernate ... all gone

You could try looking at the advanced power settings. Click on the battery icon on the task bar & select more power options, then select Change plan settings next to the currently active power plan.

There is options for sleep & hibernate, you could look to see if they've been disabled. Other than that i'll keep looking for other possible causes/solutions.

Power Plan Settings - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/7216-sleep-hibernate-all-gone.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Sleep mode doesn't work when lid close, why?
When i close the lid the sleep mode doesn't work the laptop still functioning and the same thing happen with hibernate I have Win 7 and have done this. Go to Start then Control Panel
Go to the category System and Security
Then go under the category Power Options
Under Favorite Fashion , click Change settings for the active mode
Click Change advanced power settings
Unroll Watch and ensure Hybrid and choose Disable
This hybrid mode is disabled thereby activating the standby mode normal and hibernate

It still doesn't work I check everything on those steps and all seems fine but when i close the lid and open it back again the screen is black with the laptop still functioning. Any idea why or how to fix it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/my-pc-won-t-go-to-sleep-or-hibernate-why-586804.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have heard many side of the debate about weither or not to sleep or Hibernate a PC or shut down or leaving it powered on Here are my two setups let me know what you think should be best I want to try and conserve power while Hibernate? vs Sleep not impacting my computer usage that much if at all Both PC s are running Sleep vs Hibernate? Windows Desktop- I leave this one running I kinda make it my personal quot server quot Sleep vs Hibernate? and i use Windows Live Mesh to snyc my PC s together I do open it up - times a year and blow out dust with compressed air so that dust does not build up Ive been doing this since i got my first PC in and never had a hardware failure Sleep vs Hibernate? except one failed Hdd I have a Flat Panel LCD monitor which i turn off Would it be better to let the LCD quot sleep quot too Laptop-I power down this when im not using it My main consern is about putting it into sleep mode and sticking in a Neoprene sleve and carrying it around in my backpack im a college student Would a sleeve or a backback restrict airflow and possible overheat or would a computer be more prone to damage while powered on sleep or full power The laptop i am also tired of having to boot it up before my classes start is it ok to leave a laptop on Im thinking of getting an external cooler and fan and leaving in on there while im at home and or charging the battery

A:Sleep vs Hibernate?

I'm not a fan of either Hibernation or Sleep. My recommendations:

For the desktop, just set the display and hd to power down after a defined period of inactivity.

As for the laptop, t just power it down when you're not using it? Booting it before classes start can't be that much of a problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/420024/sleep-vs-hibernate/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a dell XPS1702x laptop Win7 64, this problem came up in the last 5 days after I installed a logitech M705 mouse and software.When ever I put my laptop in sleep or hibernate and start up again I get a blank screen, but the laptop seems tobe running I have to turn the computer off and then on again using the power button. My computer then restarts and opens in the Error Recovert Screen stating that the computer was turned off improperly and ask if I want to restart Windows. I have preformed a complete Virus scan with Nortons 360, I have updating all my software, uninstalled the mouse and returned to my old mouse and the software for the new mouse and the problem is still there. As I read the Questions on the MS community it looks like I'm not alone with this problem. does any one have a possible solution ?

A:Can't use sleep or hibernate

Hi hootcow,

There are many possible causes for this issue. Please try the following troubleshooting steps to see if they work:
1. Update BIOS:
Note: Battery should have 10% or greater charge; Adapter should be connected; No external devices should be connected; All other programs should be closed and documents saved
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to download the BIOS file and install it as per the on-screen instructions
- Laptop will restart itself (may produce some beeps); recheck results

2. If the issue persists, try installing 'Windows Updates': Ensure that the 'Logitech Mouse' is working with the laptop while you perform the update
- Click 'Start icon' > Type 'Windows Update' in 'Search programs and files' in the text box > Tap Enter and follow the on-screen instructions to install all updates > Restart the laptop and check results

3. If the issue still persists, you may also try updating the 'video drivers'; Dell XPS L702x laptop offers 'NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M and GT 555M' as discrete video options:
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to update the 'Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver'
- Restart laptop after updating
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to update the 'Discrete Video card driver'
- Restart and check again

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/269935-cant-use-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi I have a -bit AMD Athlon dual-Core HP Compaq Windows sleep hibernate or Can't Vista laptop I don t know how long this problem is going on but for a while already every time I put my laptop Can't sleep or hibernate to sleep or hibernate it wakes up by itself a few minutes later I m worried since I know that it s not good for Can't sleep or hibernate a computer to be on the whole time I tried many things that I saw online such as disabling quot WakeUp LAN quot in my Device Manager and making sure that my Mouse and other things aren t allowed to wake up my computer and that my computer can shut them off to save power Nothing helps The quot WakeUp LAN quot things helped for a few days and then I was back to square one I don t know what to do I d really appreciate if anyone has useful advice for me preferably something that doesn t involve messing with the registry or restoring it to a earlier restore point Thanks a lot nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

I've had this problem in Win 7 as well, and I've changed everything I can think of including my bios, but I can't get my computer to just go to sleep, always goes to hibernate. My mobo is PCCHIPS A15G

A:Only goes to hibernate - won't sleep

A corrupt video driver can play tricks with standby / hibernate
Try reinstalling that first

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251047/only-goes-to-hibernate-wont-sleep/
Relevancy 56.33%

Got a brand new Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Basic, and it will not sleep or hibernate.

Instead of sleeping or hibernating like it's supposed to, it goes through the process like it's going to work, then immediately restarts Windows and says that Windows had a problem when shutting down and asks me if I want to boot in safe or normal mode.

The thing is BRAND new.

A:Will Not Sleep or Hibernate

hi Entensity,

do you initiate the hibernate manually (function keys)? please post the error that you see.

thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/will-not-sleep-or-hibernate-242124.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Win XP will not Standby or Hibernate. Monitor also. I have adjusted the Power Properties many times. Is there a certain order that the Min's must be set to.

A:Why no Sleep or Hibernate

There's no special order for setting Min's.Did you exit the settings screen then go back later to see if the settings are retained?Is this a new XP install because apparently this can happen when you haven't installed your chipset drivers?Also go to Device Manager and see if any errors are showing, usually yellow exclamation marks.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/why-no-sleep-or-hibernate/203358.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello.
I changed my Power option to "Power saver" and set my system going to Hibernate after 60 minutes but another option with the name "put the computer to sleep" is enable and set to "45" minutes and my computer never going to hibernate.
Is it my problem? Must I set "sleep" to "never" ?

Tnx.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84f3356a-09e4-426a-92cd-1a3f22a074c9/sleep-vs-hibernate?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello , I check forums but I didn't find solution for me so I'm gonna ask.
I have windows 7 installed on laptop which has good performance.

I want to put him to sleep or hibernate so he can cool himself a bit , but without closing my network applications such as one game and one sharing program.

I tried any way but I'm connected to network with usb wireless adapter to my modem , or I can connect with usb cable to him.

Any way I try my connection goes off.
If there is any possible way of saving some power or cooling him off a little while using some network applications I would be happy to know about it.

Thanks.

A:Sleep or Hibernate

Welcome to SF!

I don't think so, unfortunately. You can have it turn off the display, that will help a little.

Power Plan Settings - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/89725-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I ve had this computer about days At first I didn t notice the problem but I can't XPS New sleep hibernate 13 or did notice a touchpad wasn t working I troubleshot that for the first day downloaded all updates made sure all drivers were new bios was the latest version etc Finally had to uninstall Microsoft drivers and install Synaptic drivers Which seemed to fix that problem I believe the first day the computer could sleep By the rd day though I found my battery had completely drained overnight and quickly found the computer wouldn t sleep or hibernate It would turn off though and restart I used powercfg and event viewer to see what was happening In event viewer I noticed that everytime I would try and sleep I would get an error from Runtimebroker exe about not having proper permissions I found a solution to that but then event viewer said that a printer driver was preventing sleep I uninstalled that Then event viewer was saying USBHUB was preventing sleep I disabled that Still wasn t sleeping and from then on event viewer just said quot an unknown event quot was preventing sleep Got some errors in from powercfg too the most worrisome New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate was quot aspm disabled due to hardware incompatibility quot Never figured this one out Also in New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate event view nbsp was quot Intel R Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework quot errors At this point I just did a fresh install with a full wipe Everything went fine although strangely the Synaptic drivers I had to install manually last time tried to install automatically Before I made any changes I tried to sleep again and no luck Plus I see all the errors I saw last time Runtimebroker permission errors ASPM and TDP errors nbsp Plus my touchpad again with the Microsoft drivers I m out of ideas Any thoughts

A:New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate

I tried the following and none worked consistently:update bios to 1.4.4
disable hibernate
boot into safe mode
change power scheme. 
The worst thing is that the computer even won't keep shutting down. It powers itself up right after powering off. 
Dell, are you listening? 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19982972
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi everyone!
I'm having a problem.
I can't put my computer to sleep ou hibernate ... okay, i can buy only for a few seconds. After that computer wake up.
Someone can help me?
I don't know what i need to do.
Regards.

A:My PC don't Hibernate or Sleep - Help is need

You might read through this thread for some ideas.

Quieting Windows 7 down....

Have checked your Power Options via the Control Panel?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/72555-my-pc-dont-hibernate-sleep-help-need.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have herd arguements both ways, one issue I herd was that in "sleep" mode the system keeps running and in a enclosed bag (laptop bag or backpack) can overheat fast, also I have herd hibetrnate is borked up.

Well, I have hibernated and also used sleep, but whats the reccomended way.

If its hibernate, how can I just remove the sleep option from the shutdown options, and if its sleep how can I remove the hibernate options ?

Thankyas

A:Sleep or Hibernate ?

Just Like Coke vs Pepsi, it really boils down your own personal preference. Both drawbacks you list can be true. The main difference though is that sleep does not totally power down your system. Which is why a laptop in a bag will get hot. It still draws power to the memory, which is why it restarts so quickly. However if the power is interrupted for any reason, battery dead, unplugged, brown/blackout, you lose what was running at the time. Hibernate saves everything to the hard disk and totally powers down the entire system. Power can og out or battery removed and it will still return to the last state it was in when it hibernated albeit in a slightly longer amount of time than the Sleep function. Catch is the file what it uses to store the hibernation data, (hiberfil.sys) is very large (typically equal to the amount of RAM you have installed) and can become corrupted which can cause various problems.

Either way the easiest way to shutdown in whatever manner you decide is to assign the Start menu Power button to do either option under Control Panel/Power Options/Advanced options. Also if your keyboard has a sleep button (It typically looks like a crescent moon) then that sometimes can be programed to do the same thing as well.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/127987-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

When i am turning off my PC i don't see the option to put my PC to Sleep or Hibernate !! Can some1 assist by tell me how to get it back on.

A:Sleep or Hibernate !!

To turn on the hibernate option, make sure you are logged on as administrator.Right click in an empty space on your desktop and select properties.Click the Screen Saver tab.Click the Power button (in the right part, above the Cancel button).Click the Hibernate tab and check Enable hibernation.Click Apply and then OK, the power option window will close.Click OK, the display options window will close.Now you should be able to use hibernation.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225920/sleep-or-hibernate/
Relevancy 56.33%

Lenovo Ideapad Yoga Windows bit Gb Ram Intel i Gb SSD I have started to hibernate the laptop when I'm not using it instead of using sleep to save battery power When I was using sleep I had the wake timers enabled to allow the laptop to wake to run scheduled backup tasks My understanding is that the laptop will not wake up from hibernate but it does wake up from hibernate to perform a scheduled task It seems that the hibernate and sleep commands put the system into the same low power state Whether I hibernate or sleep the event in Event Viewer is the same quot Event Kernel Power The system is entering sleep quot Whether the laptop wakes from hibernate or sleep the event is the same quot Event - Power - Troubleshooter The system has returned from a low power state quot and Hibernate Sleep However the outward signs showing hibernate or sleep are different in sleep the power light Hibernate and Sleep flashes on and off and the battery light is on in hibernate the power and battery lights are off My understanding also is that when you hibernate the state of the system is saved in the hiberfil sys file However the time stamp in this file does not update Hibernate and Sleep with each hibernation which only shows the time of the first bootup of the day The Hibernate and Sleep overall power plan is balanced and the settings are the same whether on battery or plugged in In Power Options System Settings Change settings that are currently unavailable fast startup sleep hibernate and lock are all enabled In Power Options Change plan settings Change advanced power settings Sleep hybrid sleep is disabled and wake timers are enabled

A:Hibernate and Sleep

Hello Alanbo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The timestamp may still show the same due to fast startup being enabled unless you actually restart the computer. Fast startup doesn't save the same way to the hiberfil.sys as hibernate does.

As a test, you might turn off fast startup to see how it works for you afterwards.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/25488-hibernate-sleep.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Dual Booting 7/8 on an eMachine T5234.

Won't timeout to sleep or hibernate, or hibernate even on command.

With old or new Nvidia driver delivered for Win8.

When I run last wake command after failure I get this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.8250]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

A:Won't sleep or hibernate.

I had similar problems under Windows 7, so I'm guessing the base issue is similar. I found my solution, by following the instructions found at Windows 7 Power Management: Fixing PC Insomnia The specific information that helped me, is the section under 'Allow Standby with Remote Opens' about halfway down the page.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/5277-wont-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.9%

bios is lock i need help!
I want to change a bios version to 9600 pro
Memory Elixir 250/200
i try to use "Atiflash - p 0 -st bios.bin"
but:
Old mem seting :7180
New mem seting :7180
Old ssid : 4153
New ssid : 4150
SSID Mismatched
Error = 0FL01

:knock: :hotbounce :knock:

Plese Help Me!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-bios-9550-is-lock-help-me-2-unlock.46385/
Relevancy 55.9%

This is my first post and attaching files for most recent BSOD. I installed the latest BIOS for this system (5 month old XPS 955). This machine has had the SSD replaced TWICE, the System Board replaced once, TWO trips back to TX for repair. Untold hours working with Dell Tech Support. All of this to no avail. The BSOD come at about 2 a day AT LEAST. Most recent was about 8 hours after the latest BIOS was installed.

Any help would be appreciated. Any suggestions on how to get Dell to replace this machine (it has been unusable for about 4 of the 5 months I have had it).

Thanks

OAG

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/47727-bsod-after-new-bios-dell-9550-a.html
Relevancy 55.9%

After installing the new bios update, the screen flickers every few seconds.  After rolling back to previous bios, the problem went away.

A:XPS 9550 4K screen flicker with new bios

Simple answer is the latest bios is not for your configuration. Bios updates are for specific problems and specific configurations of the same model. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19985189
Relevancy 55.9%

Ok so when I had XP I would always use hibernate and only about once a week I would actually reboot the computer completely. Now that I have Windows 7 I would like to do the same. But now when I click hibernate the screen goes black and everything shuts off but the computer acts like its in standby. The lights are still on and computer is running. Once this happens I cannot get back into windows or reboot without holding down the power button to force a reset. Each time that I have done with Windows 7 boots an error saying the computer was not shutdown correctly. Anyone know why it won't completely power off when I click hibernate. I have tried it about 5 separate times and it has not worked once. Thanks. Jon.

A:Hibernate won't completely shut down laptop

Did you install any Acer drivers, or did you let Windows find and install everything for you?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/25918-hibernate-wont-completely-shut-down-laptop.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My favorite rig the HP laptop mentioned in my specs takes over minutes to hibernate and anything between and minutes to shut down Clearing Page File when shutting down is disabled as Extremely long & hibernate down shut this is often mentioned to be the culprit for long shut down times Absolutely no other issues Laptop boots quite fast wakes up from sleep and hibernation in seconds Runs smoothly is Extremely long shut down & hibernate in every Extremely long shut down & hibernate sense a dream machine for me Running Seven Ultimate SP not yet installed all other updates OK Malware scans come back with nothing Event Viewer shows nothing special The only other issue although very small and one that does not bother me is a to second freeze when opening a new tab in IE whole machine freezes mouse and kb do not respond if watching streaming video it stops until the new tab is opened When hibernating or shutting down the HD spins all the time it takes to finally shut down or go to sleep When shutting down Windows goes in seconds to Logging off screen which then stays several minutes After that the Logging off text on screen changes to Shutting down which also takes several minutes Any ideas welcome Kari

A:Extremely long shut down & hibernate

I seem to recall those issues being caused by processes that won't stop until some timeout limit is met. Sometimes an external device or network connection is working.

You can test the easy stuff by disconecting any external devices, then any network connections and shut down.

Otherwise there is the mind-numbing task of going into task manager and turning off individual processes and shutting down to test until you find the offending process (you can do them 3 or 5 at a time to speed thing up).

Once you know what process is causing the delay you can deduce what device or program is the cause and work from there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/157607-extremely-long-shut-down-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.9%

For the last two months, I am not able to shut down/hibernate cleanly. In addition, my windows update is also not able to check for updates.

After working for half an hour after starting, various applications hang.

I have Windows 7 32 bit Home premium

I installed SP1 but still it didnt help

I am not able to attach the dump as it is taking very long

A:Experiencing BSOD while doing shut down/hibernate

I have never reinstalled my OS.

My system is around 2 years old

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/166468-experiencing-bsod-while-doing-shut-down-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.9%

i just noticed over the past couple of days that when i choose a shut down option it goes to the shutting down screen and says shutting down and stays like that forever.So now my only choice is to hold the button down or flip the switch on the power strip and i dont like to do either . please any information would be grateful

A:Shut down,Stand by,Restart,And Hibernate

What service pack are you on?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shut-down-stand-by-restart-and-hibernate.683638/
Relevancy 55.9%

For years I shut down the Down, Should Shut or I Hibernate? Question, Standby, computer every night then turn it on in the morning but some one told me I should just leave it on all the time and use the Hibernate feature under the Power options I ve never become familiar with this or the difference between Hibernate and Standby I have ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall along with Earthlink which stops span and scans for virus email before I can dl it so I feel sort of save there but Question, Should I Shut Down, Standby, or Hibernate? am not sure about this I also have an APC back up power supply to cover me against power failure and it will save and shut all programs down and turn off the computer after waiting a few minutes Is it better to leave the computer on all the time and have the HDs turn off after an hour or so the monitor turn off and then have the computer go to Hibernate mode instead of rebooting each day Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Laptop: Asus 14" U43F Bamboo Core i5 Notebook
Issue: Start Menu > press 'sleep' > computer goes to sleep. Press power > 'Windows Error Recovery' screen > Start Windows Normally > No applications were saved.
Power Options have not changed.
same issue for 'hibernate.'
Thank you for your help in advance!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490922/sleephibernate-malfunctioning/
Relevancy 55.47%

Is this possible? I have my hard drive on my laptop truecrypted. So when I wake it up from hibernate I have to enter my password at the bootmanager, and then a windows password when I log in, too much work. Especially when the bootmanager password is like 30 characters and the windows one is like 20.

So is there a way to only ask for a password from sleep but not from hibernate?

A:Ask for password from sleep but not hibernate

Any word on this? I have feeling it is impossible, but hoping there might be a registry dive that will do the trick.

I typically only put my laptop to sleep by closing the lid, and when asleep I always have it with me. So, password on wake-from-sleep is silly.

But, when I hibernate it, I do not always have it with me, so I need to have it prompt for a password on wake.

One would think that MS would have realized this is a common requirement!

Steve

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/193630-ask-password-sleep-but-not-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi everyone for the past month I've been having an issue when putting my computer to sleep or hibernate It BSOD and using When Hibernate Sleep has a BSOD with the error quot drive power state fail quot Dell Studio OS Windows x Original OS was Windows Vista Is the OS an OEM version came pre-installed on system or full retail version YOU purchased it from retailer I bought the system August I installed Windows on this system in December Intel BSOD When using Sleep and Hibernate Core Duo T GHz Ati Mobility Radeon HD Series Not sure what MotherBoard I have Power Supply - SDI Dell -Cell mWh Also I previously made another topic a few weeks ago but because the BSOD takes - mins to appear after I try to wake up the computer Once I realized that it was blue screening I found the instructions on how to make a topic on that I hope that this was the right action The other topic http www techsupportforum com f ng- html I had to attach two files because it was above the upload limit Thank you for your help

A:BSOD When using Sleep and Hibernate

Please go to Device Manager and uninstall:
- the multiple printers that are disabled
- the Hamachi device that doesn't have device drivers loaded

There are no memory dump files in the attached zip archives. Please do the following:

Quote:

Upload Dump Files:
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder. Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there. If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP. If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service . I recommend Windows Live SkyDrive - http://skydrive.live.com or another free, file-hosting service. Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file): http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html

The dump files mentioned in MSINFO32 are either due to your Hamachi device, or your wireless device. Please fix the Hamachi device as indicated above. Then,
- download a fresh copy of the wireless drivers for your system
- uninstall the current wireless drivers
- install the freshly downloaded drivers and monitor for further BSOD's.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-when-using-sleep-and-hibernate-496808.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I upgraded Vista to 7 Home Premium 32bit 6 months ago on a Sony Vaio 'All In One' VGC-LV1S bought around 18 moths ago, and started getting the occasional BSOD after resuming from sleep or hibernate. It now happens every time. None of the device drivers are showing problems following the BSOD shut down and reboot.

Would be grateful for some help. Minidump zip attached and includes performance monitor (which says I don't have anti-virus but I'm actually running Kaspersky IS 2011 without any problems).

A:BSOD after sleep/hibernate

Hi Glebe and Welcome.

The five latest dump files all give a stop error 0x44. They also blame various system files which is highly unlkely.

STOP 0x00000044: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
Usual causes: Device driver(s). This indicates that a driver has tried to requested an IRP be completed that is already complete.

Outdated drivers can and do cause problems.

Bugcheck Analysis
Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 44, {888633e0, 1d7b, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for kl1.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for kl1.sys
Probably caused by : kl1.sys ( kl1+1a4d1a )

Outdated Drivers. Update or Uninstall:

AVerAVF2.sys Tue Jul 08 09:14:48 2008 AVerMedia Driver for NEC6125X Series

DMICall.sys Tue Dec 05 07:14:23 2000 Sony DMI Call service
SFEP.sys Fri Aug 03 06:36:08 2007 Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver

e1y6032.sys Mon Aug 18 22:44:37 2008 Intel 82567V Gigabit Network driver

elrawdsk.sys Fri Jun 08 14:34:59 2007 RawDisk Driver by EldoS Corporation

HECI.sys Fri Mar 28 19:42:10 2008 Intel Management Engine Interface

PxHelp20.sys Thu Mar 13 01:57:44 2008 Sonic CD/DVD driver. Used by many different programs.

regi.sys Mon Apr 16 16:19:05 2007 InterVideo regi.sys driver

RimSerial.sys Mon Nov 24 17:02:13 2008 RIM Virtual Driver Blackberry?)

As a rule of thumb, the date for third party drivers to be compatible with Windows 7 is 13 July 2009. Windows 7 is a new operating system. It bears no relation to XP.
Hardware and software designed for XP will not run on Windows 7 unless the Mfr's have updated them to be compatible. Many Mfr's choose not to spend time and money writing new drivers which you download for free. They live better by selling new software and hardware.
Check all your software and hardware that you used on XP. Upgrade the software and hardware to a date preferably post 13 July 2009. If you can't update then you should uninstall and replace it.

Drivers with Updates:

rimsptsk.sys Sat May 24 14:35:01 2008
risdptsk.sys Thu May 01 12:04:08 2008 Ricoh Memory Card Reader driver OEM

RTKVHDA.sys Fri Jun 20 09:56:49 2008 http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=8&PFid=14&Level=3&Conn=2

Drivers:
Code:
9452d000 94559000 1394ohci 1394ohci.sys Tue Jul 14 00:51:59 2009 (4A5BC89F)
83f9e000 83fe6000 ACPI ACPI.sys Tue Jul 14 00:11:11 2009 (4A5BBF0F)
9202e000 92088000 afd afd.sys Tue Jul 14 00:12:34 2009 (4A5BBF62)
945a9000 945bb000 AgileVpn AgileVpn.sys Tue Jul 14 00:55:00 2009 (4A5BC954)
8bed9000 8bee2000 amdxata amdxata.sys Tue May 19 18:57:35 2009 (4A12F30F)
a5f4e000 a5f57000 asyncmac asyncmac.sys Tue Jul 14 00:54:46 2009 (4A5BC946)
8bead000 8beb6000 atapi atapi.sys Tue Jul 14 00:11:15 2009 (4A5BBF13)
8beb6000 8bed9000 ataport ataport.SYS Tue Jul 14 00:11:18 2009 (4A5BBF16)
9423c000 94369000 athr athr.sys Mon Oct 05 17:31:48 2009 (4ACA1F74)
94406000 944f5280 AVerAVF2 AVerAVF2.sys Tue Jul 08 09:14:48 2008 (487321F8)
9452a000 9452d000 BdaSup BdaSup.SYS Tue Jul 14 00:51:23 2009 (4A5BC87B)
8c5f4000 8c5fb000 Beep Beep.SYS Tue Jul 14 00:45:00 2009 (4A5BC6FC)
921d9000 921e7000 blbdrive blbdrive.sys Tue Jul 14 00:23:04 2009 (4A5BC1D8)
83ea9000 83eb1000 BOOTVID BOOTVID.dll Tue Jul 14 02:04:34 2009 (4A5BD9A2)
a16b0000 a16c9000 bowser bowser.sys Tue Jul 14 00:14:21 2009 (4A5BBFCD)
95e90000 95eae000 cdd cdd.dll unavailable (00000000)
95156000 95175000 cdrom... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/141150-bsod-after-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

Since a while, I'm unable to sleep my computer. Instead of sleeping, the screen goes black with the computer apparently still working (I can lock and unlock my computer 'blindly', and hear the lock/unlock sounds). After a while though, the system will then crash with a BSOD: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Attached is the zip file with the dumps etc,

Note to admins:this tool does not actually put the zip file on the desktop (which is D:\Desktop in my case) but simply in C:\Users\[username]\Desktop. Could potentially be confusing...

A:BSOD instead of sleep/hibernate

Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa800432e050, fffff80000b9c3d8, fffffa800a0931d0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for KSPrt64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for KSPrt64.sys
Probably caused by : KSPrt64.sys

---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
Arg2: fffffa800432e050, Physical Device Object of the stack
Arg3: fffff80000b9c3d8, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
Arg4: fffffa800a0931d0, The blocked IRP

Debugging Details:
------------------
DRVPOWERSTATE_SUBCODE: 3

IMAGE_NAME: KSPrt64.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4e56d23b

MODULE_NAME: KSPrt64

FAULTING_MODULE: fffff880010fc000 KSPrt64

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x9F

PROCESS_NAME: System

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

ANALYSIS_VERSION: 6.3.9600.17237 (debuggers(dbg).140716-0327) amd64fre

DPC_STACK_BASE: FFFFF80000BA2FB0

STACK_TEXT:
fffff800`00b9c388 fffff800`039018d2 : 00000000`0000009f 00000000`00000003 fffffa80`0432e050 fffff800`00b9c3d8 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff800`00b9c390 fffff800`0389c85c : fffff800`00b9c4c0 fffff800`00b9c4c0 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000001 : nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x33af0
fffff800`00b9c430 fffff800`0389c6f6 : fffffa80`07ed0380 fffffa80`07ed0380 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiProcessTimerDpcTable+0x6c
fffff800`00b9c4a0 fffff800`0389c5de : 0000000b`89824de9 fffff800`00b9cb18 00000000`0004d8c4 fffff800`03a10b08 : nt!KiProcessExpiredTimerList+0xc6
fffff800`00b9caf0 fffff800`0389c3c7 : 00000002`3f061dc2 00000002`0004d8c4 00000002`3f061dff 00000000`000000c4 : nt!KiTimerExpiration+0x1be
fffff800`00b9cb90 fffff800`038898ca : fffff800`03a0ce80 fffff800`03a1acc0 00000000`00000001 fffff880`00000000 : nt!KiRetireDpcList+0x277
fffff800`00b9cc40 00000000`00000000 : fffff800`00b9d000 fffff800`00b97000 fffff800`00b9cc00 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiIdleLoop+0x5a
STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_cdrom_IMAGE_KSPrt64.sys

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_cdrom_IMAGE_KSPrt64.sys

ANALYSIS_SOURCE: KM

FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING: km:x64_0x9f_3_power_down_cdrom_image_ksprt64.sys

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {9256b14b-8e2e-0f96-dcd9-a08493409b2f}

---------

0: kd> !irp fffffa800a0931d0
Irp is active with 4 stacks 3 is current (= 0xfffffa800a093330)
No Mdl: No System Buffer: Thread 00000000: Irp stack trace.
cmd flg cl Device File Completion-Context

>[ 16, 2] 0 e1 fffffa8006064e10 00000000 00000000-00000000 pending
\Driver\cdrom
Args: 00015400 00000001 00000004 00000003
[ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-fffffa8003f7e560

Args: 000... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/346824-bsod-instead-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I reinstalled vista x64 and since then am having this problem...

Whenever i click sleep my computer goes into hibernate... I ve tried setting standby state as s3 in bios and also i ve tried disabling hibernate by running 'powercfg -h off' in command prompt...

I ve also installed latest motherboard and video card (nvidia geforce 8600gt) drivers but no effect...

Any help appreciated

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-x64-goes-into-hibernate-instead-of-sleep-always.745721/