Windows Support Forum

recovering files after hard reset

Q: recovering files after hard reset

is there a way to recover photos after a hard reset?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/440122-recovering-files-after-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: recovering files after hard reset

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 65.36%

I recently purchased a cheap hard drive enclosure to house a drive from an old machine. The drive had previously lived in an Icy Box enclosure and had worked fine. Unfortunately the power supply for the Icy Box gave up and now I have bought this replacement.

When I started it up, the drive was recognised but without any of the files that were previously there. I have downloaded Pandora Recovery from Cnet and tried a deep scan. This has shown that the files are still there but crashes at about 1% of the scan.

Can anyone advise on any other freeware which can solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

A:Hard drive files need recovering

At this point... its a lost cause I would say, BUT!

You could always try making a mirror of the dead drive, and try to recover from that image... though not sure I would expect to recover the files

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-files-need-recovering.882048/
Relevancy 65.36%

my old xp hard drive was uber slow so i upgraded to a new one with a new xp install

Now i need my files off my old windows xp hard drive but it won't let me access my files saying ACCESS IS DENIED

is there any way to get those dang files

A:recovering files from old xp Hard Drive

you can try taking ownership of the files/folders

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-files-from-old-xp-hard-drive-624622.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have been forced to dispose of a previously reliable desktop PC running XP but have retained the hard disc in the hope of recovering the files from it The hard disc is now in an external enclosure connected to a new laptop Lenovo G running Windows Home Premium The old hard disc was partitioned quot C quot and quot D quot - each half the total disc size Gb I was using C for programmes and active files and D as an archive for disc Recovering files hard old from older files Now when attached to the laptop I can quot see quot just two folders one Recovering files from old hard disc is the archived files which is great the other folder has a strange name comprising mainly numbers I can't see any evidence of the partitions I apparently don't have permission to access this second folder Will this be the original C And if so is there a way of accessing the files within Finally if I do succeed in retrieving Recovering files from old hard disc the files and moving them somewhere more accessible this time backed up can I reformat the old hard disc as a single storage device to give me extra space or has the partition to remain How would I do this Very grateful for any advice Incidentally I find these forums quite difficult to search and know it's likely that somewhere in Recovering files from old hard disc here there is already a useful contribution that would help me resolve my questions If anyone could direct me to the appropriate thread it would be helpful

A:Recovering files from old hard disc

Yes, you can reformat the old drive as a single storage device. You'd normally do that through Windows Disk Managment. Just locate the drive and delete any partitions you see on it, create new partitions as desired, format, and use.

I have no idea why you are seeing what you now see. If I had a C drive and a D drive on an old hard drive and connected it to a new PC, I'd expect to see 2 partitions---whereas you say you see folders.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/252231-recovering-files-old-hard-disc.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I need help with recovering files from a hard drive with Windows as the OS This computer was my mom s old one I moved the quot My Documents quot folder to a new computer Recovering Help Need Hard From Drive Files for her by using the cut and paste method to a USB flash drive I then moved the contents from the flash drive onto a new computer with Windows Vista I deleted Need Help Recovering Files From Hard Drive the files from the flash drive to let her use it for other purposes So far so good Then this The new computer had a problem with the power hardware and was sent back to the factory for repair Received the computer back with a reformatted hard drive data not there Mom did not want to deal with Vista so I swapped her Need Help Recovering Files From Hard Drive computer with a new one that runs Windows XP The missing files contain medical history and vital pictures I live about miles from my mom so this is being worked on long distance She lives in a small town with very limited computer service support Here is my question What is the best process to Need Help Recovering Files From Hard Drive recover these files I have the original hard drive here with me I have Windows XP and Vista available on the computers at my house I can also have the USB flash drive sent but it would have to come via mail or UPS Is there an issue with slaving a Windows formatted drive to a Windows XP or Vista machine Or should I take the extra time to have her send the flash drive and try to recover the files from it And are there any special precautions to take when shipping a flash drive Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum area Thanks

A:Need Help Recovering Files From Hard Drive

First and foremost - don't do anything to any of the drives until you're ready to recover the data. Each and every access gives a greater risk of losing the data.

The original hard drive - does it still have the original files on it? If so, the best bet is to slave this drive to another system and transfer the files from it. You can either attach it to a free space on one of the cables on your current computer (with the proper jumper settings) - or you can get a drive enclosure to put it in and hook it up to a USB port on your system. Then it's just a matter of copying the files to your computer (and backing them up just-in-case to a CD).

Recovering deleted files is another story - and they're even more sensitive to the "more it's used, the more likely that the data is gone" theory. It takes special software and techniques - although there is some freeware than can recover some stuff for you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/110712/need-help-recovering-files-from-hard-drive/
Relevancy 64.5%

I had to replace my hard disk recently on my Compaq Deskpro machine. While the PC works fine, I need help on two issues:

1. The technician who replaced the hard disk says he's unable to read the old hard disk, so can't recover any files from it. Any way out...?

2. On reinstalling Windows 95, I'm unable to change the display settings to anything higher that 16 colors; if I try and restart, there's a message saying the settings do not work with my hardware. Now, the Hardware Wizard says my display adapter is Oaks Technologies Super VGA; however, I distinctly remember seeing a Matrox QuickDesk facility with my earlier installation. Is this possible...? Or am I missing something?

A:Recovering files from crashed hard disk

As far as the colors you need to reinstall your video drivers for the matrox card.

Hard disk, if it's that important you could send it to ontrack or one of the others, but it's very expensive to get data recovery.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files-from-crashed-hard-disk.49109/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello,
I have a hard drive that was accidentally formatted with the Sony recovery wizard and a complete reinstalled was performed.

Can you please tell me about a good program that I can use free or paid to recover the data of a formatted hard drive?

I used the recuva application and only found deleted files. I need to recover if possible all the docs, pictures, music files before the recovery took place.

Thank you in advance,

Vicman

A:Needs help recovering files from formatted hard drive, Please

Well unfortunately when a Hard drive is formatted and then something is written over that it is very time consuming and expensive to recover and then you may only get half of your information back.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313312/needs-help-recovering-files-from-formatted-hard-drive-please/
Relevancy 64.5%

hi i have(now dead) 200 gb maxtor hd, i know i know bad disk to buy, now i know my brands, seagate all the way haha, ne ways i think the partition where xp installed got corrupted, and it wont let me do ne thing, it gave me that "your disk must be corrupted" warning when i booted up. Some pictures were on that partition, like wedding, prom, grad, and i was wondering, instead of formatting the whole drive, or even the partition, can i use like hard drive data recovery software like "Helix"? I came here to see if any body can help me out, or even show me an easier way, cuz from the looks of it Helix looks very confusing.

--thnx in advance

A:help recovering files of a dead hard drive

Hi

Not sure if you are in the uk, I have used this tool >> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35057&doy=14m3&C=SO&U=strat15

You just plug the hard drive into it and the other end into a usb port on a pc and it shows up as an external hard drive. Depending on whether your hard drive is not completely gone.Then the data can just be taken off it. If its a sata drive they do one for that also

Another way is if you are putting a new hard drive in then put the bad one in as a slave drive then it wil do basically the same thing and show up as another drive and you should be able to access all your pics etc.

Data recovery tools are ok for accidentally formatted/totally shot drives etc but I would hope you wouldn't need to go that far

Hope it helps

Gus

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-recovering-files-of-a-dead-hard-drive.693180/
Relevancy 64.5%

I had to do an f11 restart on my HP laptop. I was given the option to save my files to an external hard drive(Seagate Expansion) which I did. However when I come to restore the files, they are not in an accessible format. There is a restore option on the drive and also on the desktop and neitherof these work. Theres a source file list on the Seagate(notebook file) which lists all of the files. Most of them are music files or photos.
Thanks for any help

A:Recovering files from external hard drive

I did a Google search and found this:
HP Notebook PCs - How to Restore Backup Files Created During the F11 Backup Procedure

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/recovering-files-external-hard-drive-4611126/
Relevancy 64.5%

Long story short I went away for a hard desktop.. off old drive's Recovering files few days Grandfather was in hospital and I hadn't paid my electric bill They shut off power and when it came back on the power surge got to my computer hard drive I can still access my files but the drive has errors which were fixed but I've experienced frequent lockups slowdowns etc I bought a new GB Recovering files off old hard drive's desktop.. SATA drive since everything else seemed okay Even the power supply showed good voltage but I decided to put it all in a new case anyway with a Raidmax watt PS I hooked up the old drive temporarily to save some files to the new drive but one thing I can't figure out how can I get stuff off my old desktop It says it cannot be accessed Probably because my account had a password on it There isn't much on the desktop that I needed anyway but I was programming some Atari games and I had some files there I believe and a few graphics I'd like to have

A:Recovering files off old hard drive's desktop..

I am assuming that you re-installed Windows fresh on the new drive, Yes?

Follow these directions to gain access back to your files:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-files-off-old-hard-drives-desktop-191256.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Greetings all First of all I would like to apologize should I be posting in the incorrect section if so please some mod move this thread to the appropriate section So a few days ago my a files from readable drive. Recovering Hard GB Hard drive in my Lenovo Y laptop failed due to my setting it on sleep for a long time and taking the laptop with me outside for a prolonged amount of time When I got back home I tried to turn on the laptop and I got or clicks quot Click of death quot I believe so I bought a new TB Harddrive and used Lenovo recovery disks to get the laptop back to working order Moving on I bought a SATA to USB enclosure so that I might try to recover some files from my failed Harddrive now the thing is when I connect it it doesn't give the click sounds anymore and it seems to read however here's the weird part it only shows me the Lenovo recovery part of the drive Here's how it looks like in my computer and disk management So Recovering files from a readable Hard drive. my question is what does the quot OEM Partition quot mean on my failed HDD Disk and do you think it's possible to recover any data or does this mean all is lost and if there is a chance of recovery how can I open up the part of the drive where the data was which apparently in this case is the OEM paritition Right clicking on the OEM part only gives me the quot Help quot option Best Regards Raficoo

A:Recovering files from a readable Hard drive.

Hi Raficoo,

Welcome to Seven Forums.

Without asking any questions - there are many I would like to ask - let me directly get into action.

Please download, install and run MiniTools Partition Wizard Free Edition 9. MiniTool Partition Manager Software for Windows PC and Server

Does the File System of the 654.69GB partition of your "old failed hard drive" show as NTFS in the disk list?

If yes, rightclick on it > Explore. Do you see the files? Close Partition Explorer.

Rightclick on it again > Unhide Partition. In the next screen assign a drive letter > OK

Two operations will be pending.

Click on APPLY in the top menu bar. When changes are completed > OK and then close Partition Wizard.

Can you see and read the drive now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/358680-recovering-files-readable-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I pulled the hard drive out of a laptop and up it in a enclosure with USB access but i cant access the file under the user area of the hard drive. It say i don't have permission.

A:recovering files from laptop hard drive

Typically to access files on a HDD that is connected via USB it requires you to be logged into the computer as a administrator. Make sure the account you are login in on is an admin.

If this doesn't work, let us know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files-from-laptop-hard-drive.1168329/
Relevancy 64.5%

My friend gave me her PC to reinstall windows on for her because it was infected with a virus that was preventing her PC from booting up, but before I do that she said she wanted me to recover some pictures off of the hard drive, I told her no problem. But I wasn't thinking at the time, is it really as simple as hooking her hard drive up as a secondary to my computer, would that cause my hard drive to become infected? I use AVG as my anti virus program, would this prevent my computer from becoming infected if i just wanted to burn her pictures to a CD from my PC?

Hope my question is clear enough, any tips/advice would be appreciated, and I apologize for my ignorance but I'm not too familiar with computer viruses.

Relevancy 64.5%

Anyone know of a good program for restoring files from a crashed hard drive.
I've already used Spinrite on the drive and can now access the drive. The bad news is some of my folders and files are now just a bunch of ascii characters. Is there a program that will allow me to recover these? This is a FAT32 formated drive of 120 Gb capacity.

Thanks.......

A:Recovering files from crashed hard drive

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

This is great for some files. It knows over 80 types of files. I lost a drive and my main concern was pics. I used it to recover 1700 jpgs from a crashed hard drive. It also got various doc and odt files. I also recovered many mp3s and mpg clips.
Some of the mp3s are broken into smaller files, and I haven't looked thru them yet.
The mpg clips were large xvid files, so now I have many smaller clips, I could edit them together if I really wanted to.

It took about 6 hours to recover 45 GB of data from a disk.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files-from-crashed-hard-drive.613797/
Relevancy 64.5%

Well I thought I would finally get around to trying to recover files from a hard drive that crashed a few years ago. I opened up my computer tower that has a replaced hard drive which is the master boot. I put the crashed hard drive on the 2nd IDE connector to make the drive the slave drive. Plugged it into the power cable. With the manual I have it says to put the jumpers as cable select. Did that. Shut the case. Turned the computer back on and now it doesn't recognize either hard drive. So I took out the crashed hard drive and booted up again and all was well. Why didn't the computer boot up with a slave drive connected? Thanks.

Relevancy 64.5%

Yep. I've committed the cardinal sin

It was Win98 and I installed Win2000 over the top of it. The drive was formatted as FAT during the installation process.

Is there any way that I can recover data that was previously stored on the drive? There are some Excel spreadsheets that I'd like to get back.

I found this while looking through the threads for previous instances.... PC Inspector.

Will it do a job for me?

Relevancy 64.07%

Hi,

I am facing two different complications with external usb's

Problem 1: Hardware (?)
This usb IS recognized and mounts - however, the files on it are damaged - possibly because of hardware erosion...
I think ddrescue and safecopy are supposed to be good programs for this type of failure, but I do not know how to use them

Problem 2: Software (?)
This usb is recognized in the device manager, but not in the My Computer (so it doesn't mount). I think I can reformat the usb to make it functional again, but before I do that, I want to recover whatever files are on the drives

Any guide on how i can resolve these two issues?

A:Recovering files from a damaged drive and recovering files from an unrecognized driv

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files-from-a-damaged-drive-and-recovering-files-from-an-unrecognized-driv.1139119/
Relevancy 64.07%

I can no longer access my external hard drive after my laptop had gotten infected with the NTOSKRNL-HOOK trojan, but cannot tell if my external hard drive isn't working due to virus-, hardware- or software-related issues. It is important that I recover my research data from either my external hard drive or from my laptop's old hard drive that was damaged from the infection.

Dell's regular support line and their fee-based virus support group weren't able to distinguish whether my external hard drive had gotten infected during my laptop's infection or whether my external hard drive had some kind of mechanical or software error, and I was referred here by a technician from TechSupportForum's virus area.

Can someone tell me in which area of TechSupportForum I should post a more detailed question, or should I take my external hard drive to a local repair shop to recover my data?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problems-recovering-files-from-an-external-hard-drive-407168.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a portable hard drive basically a quot laptop hard drive that I put into an enclosure with a USB connections I've deleted some files that I'd like to recover so I've stopped using the drive for fear of overwriting my data I have a copy of Hiren's Boot CD which has several programs that allow for data recovery PhotoRec DetDataBack etc All are pretty good programs Here's my problem The data I'm trying to Drive? Portable Recovering From Hard Deleted A How Files To recover is about Gigs worth of data I only have Gigs of free space on the local hard drive where the USB drive is connected I have plenty of space on a my network server BUT I can't seem to reach that drive when booting from Hiren's Boot CD So my question is How do I recover data from this portable drive and save it to a network location The recovery process would need to write the data to my network share in real-time Thanks

A:How To Recovering Deleted Files From A Portable Hard Drive?

I'm unsure if the Hiren's boot cd has network access. If not, you've got 2 possibilites:
- recover the stuff in Windows so you have network access (you can get copies of most recovery programs that will work in Windows - but they may cost)
- recover 40 gb to the hard drive using Hiren's - then boot into Windows to transfer it to the network. Then boot back into Hiren's for the remaining 20 gb.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-recovering-deleted-files-from-a-portable-hard-drive-457028.html
Relevancy 63.21%

My Dell Studio XPS 16 motherboard failed but I was able to get the hard drive out of my computer and connected to my desktop using a case that makes it act as an external hard drive.

I now am trying to copy the old files from the Dell hard drive to my new computer's hard drive but some of the folders are password protected and didn't copy with the rest of the old C drive.

Clicking on some of these folder brings up a dialog box informing me I do not have privilege to see those files and I canceled out of the dialog box as I was worried I might accidentally erase the folder if I did not unlock it properly. Both computers were most recently running Windows 7 though the old Dell laptop originally came installed with Windows Vista.

What are the steps for recovering these files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Recovering Files from Password Protected Laptop Hard Drive

See if this tutorial helps. Take Ownership Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/347660-recovering-files-password-protected-laptop-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have an eMachine T computer to which I added a Maxtor One Touch gig drive everything hard external from recovering files/folders Maxtor drive is out of warranty OS Win XP Pro w sp Outline of problem On I left home with the computer and nanny cam on Returned hours later amp found the following message on screen Windows Delayed Write Failed Windows was unable to save all of the data for the file J SMft J drive Maxtor The data has been lost The error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or a network connection Please try to save this file elsewhere I could not get access to this file to save it elsewhere I could not get the Add Remove Software list to recovering files/folders from external Maxtor hard drive populate I couldn t do a system restore I couldn t save anything to the J drive and the computer has been recovering files/folders from external Maxtor hard drive more than a recovering files/folders from external Maxtor hard drive little finicky ever since - very slow to open any everything insist I allow popups to open links on the web or throws me off the internet - things like this Anyway tried everything I could think of to fix it tried the things RoadRunner and eMachine suggested Called Microsoft amp pd them to fix it and spent the entire week morning to night on the phone with them till they escalated the problem to the research team who told me that the problem is likely due to a surge that K of data on the Maxtor is available to me and that approx gigs of data is on the drive They said I should take the drive to a local tech to have them use recovery tools to remove the data from the drive then to wipe the drive clean and then restore the data to the drive He also said that the drive will work fine after this is done He said the local tech should not have any problem recovering the files folders as he can see that they are still there Something was corrupted which caused this problem Microsoft has refunded the fee as they could not fix the problem or just wanted to get rid of me Geek Squad tech told me that the drive is dying and that delayed write means the drive was having a hard time finding a good place to write the file I d like to know if there s a way for me a non tech person can recover the files myself and if I could do this safely as the fees for the recovery are high to out of this world nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hey guys, I was working with my grandfathers computer. The computer would not boot, it kept getting the BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume" At the top. Annoyed, I decided I was going to just back up whatever files were on it (Just his favorites, he has absolutely no documents or anything else)..by plugging his HD into my home PC as a slave and copying them to my flashdrive. Then I would reinstall XP Home on his Desktop, and use the flashdrive to put back his files...Sounds easy enough right? NO!!!!.....Problem is, his user account on the computer (Ralph), was Password Protected so now when I try to access any of his files (using Windows 7) I get a message saying Access Is Denied. How do I get around this. It is not possible to boot his old computer to take off the password. Are his files recoverable?
Thanks for any help!

A:Recovering hard drive files from unbootable, password protected hard drive?

You don't have to do all that to overcome an unmountable boot volume error...try running chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter assigned by XP and with spaces between k and X: and X: and /) and then hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251609/recovering-hard-drive-files-from-unbootable-password-protected-hard-drive/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi. I am in the process of trying to recover files. My whole D drive (the 78,148MB - see jpg attached) says it needs to be reformatted and so all the files are gone. I download a recovery program (thanks to suggested from this forum -tks!) and it shows that the files are on my computer. Now I guess I have to have somewhere to put all the files when I recover them.

I am picturing I just need to purchase a 100MB removable hard drive. Then I will just have to plug it in via USB and then transfer using the recovery program. Kind of just like when I transfer music to my mp3 player. Obviously my level of computer knowledge is NOVICE. Is that all I will need to do?

Thanks.

A:Help recovering files... recovering relocation?

what is your question? if you want best way to do it i figure a external harddrive and an os that works should do. if the windows that you have installed is not working. you can try knoppix a linux that boots from a cd

and resize your pictures

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-recovering-files-recovering-relocation.227910/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i am trying to factory reset to the default settings again because of the stupid problems i am having on the tablet.
Here is the problem i am trying to get into the BIOS which is the 1 step on the Acer website but for some bizarre reason when it is completely off i press the Windows button and the power button to get in to the BIOS as it says on the Acer Website but it keeps going to the start menu/desktop now instead of going to the BIOS. :/
I have factory reset/hard reset on my Acer Iconia W700 a couple times and i never had this problem before, i gone in to the BIOS no problem!!!
Can someone help me please?? Thanks!!!

A:Windows 8 tablet factory reset/hard reset problem!!! HELP!!

Is it still under warranty? You should try contacting Acer.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/397817-windows-8-tablet-factory-reset-hard-reset-problem-help.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello everyone,

I'm kind of freaking out right now. I turned my computer off about 12 hours ago, and now that I turned it on again it took much longer than usual for it to prepare the desktop. When I got in, there are about 50 % of my desktop icons missing, the programs I had attached to the taskbar were missing, I opened chrome and all my bookmarks and other info were gone, most of my folders are empty (for example downloads folder contains nothing), my desktops wallpaper had changed to the default HP one, there are programs missing from the startup menu... I don't even know what other damage has been done yet. The only thing I can recall doing yesterday that could have caused this was downloading Red Alarm, but I'd love to know what is going on and how I can fix this.

Thanks for your time,
Sebruz

A:Tons of files missing, desktop reset, browsers and toolbars reset...

Some additional information:
I just found some of the missing files and folders from another location, but it seems like pretty much all software has reset somehow. Google Chrome's options, history, bookmarks etc are all gone, skype thought it was my first time using it and all the files my friend's have sent me at some point were re-sent. I even checked the trash bin, and I have no idea how but there are actually items there that I've emptied from the trash bin long ago.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/321434-tons-files-missing-desktop-reset-browsers-toolbars-reset.html
Relevancy 52.46%

hi,i wanted to know if hard reset and factory reset are the same things?my laptop won't turn on and i found out that i can hard reset that, but i do not want any of my data on hard disk to be erased. is it possible?(i've shut it down before so there is no data on RAM)thanks in advance.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:are hard reset and factory reset the same thing?

Hi, No, factory reset will bring your machine back to facory status (the time opening the box) byt hard reset won't. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/are-hard-reset-and-factory-reset-the-same-thing/td-p/5676772
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello every one I've been having a long term problem that has basically plagued my computer since I've built it Yet the issue manifests itself in different ways through out the years The issue is At certain seemingly random points my computer screen freezes with no BSOD Computer is still running with Firefox freezing Random, Life. Hard in Second hard and reset required. fans going No error message Sound stops Mouse is not responsive on screen Nothing works Screen is frozen on the last picture A holding down of the power button for a hard reset is the only way to recover Through out the years since I've changed graphics cards and RAM chips in order to try and solve this Random, hard freezing in Firefox and Second Life. Hard reset required. problem I've found that the RAM had no effect on the issue but the graphics cards perhaps did Back in I had constant random freezing at random intervals during the days of the week whilst basically doing any thing An SLI set up of two Geforce s I finally discarded one of the graphics cards to only run one and that seemingly fixed most random freezing issues for some time Though it did happen on some rare occasion that I could not explain How ever In I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX OC and found that issues immediately arose again I could not activity render videos in Adobe Premiere Elements whilst working on the video editing software with out a hard freeze Basically unable to render videos in real-time whilst working on them any more More issues started occurring later with this same card When watching Youtube videos in Firefox browser Occasionally with increasing frequency watching videos in the browser were causing this problem Then I discovered the option to disable 'hardware acceleration' and the problem hasn't arisen in the browser since Come Using a program known as 'Second Life' that does tend to use a lot of resources When computer resources were being strained too hard this problem did return on a rare occasion when I was running dual clients of this program In this same program known as 'Second Life' had gone through some updates and now for some reason the freezing issue has reared its ugly head in a big way Some times I can't be on this program for even an hour and the hard freeze occurs To fix this issue from that point I've tried updating to the latest graphics drivers No success I've even upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX Ti and again updated to the latest graphics drivers The issue still persists and renders use of them program unusable I am able to play games such as Guild Wars Grand Theft Auto Trove etc with out issue how ever I do not know what is causing the issue in order to know what I need to fix My current setup is ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Operating System Windows Professional -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd System Model X A-UD BIOS Award Modular BIOS v PG Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce GTX Ti DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV C amp SUBSYS amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit H... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396853-random-hard-freezing-firefox-second-life-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I wonder if anyone out there can give me a contact to work repairing harddrives. Not simply using software but the extremes of harddrive repair. Working in a cleanroom ,forensic, technical repair. I'm in Baltimore and would like the oportunity to try something new and challenging. I've work in radiography repair of DR systems and X-ray Generators and have found the work redundant. Prehaps I will as well with Harddrives, but I must try it.

Thanks for any help you may have in directing me.

Genlock

A:Looking for a job recovering hard drives

You might want to post your thread here:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu6.html
It may get more attention there

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-a-job-recovering-hard-drives.133027/
Relevancy 49.02%

I formatted my computer but forgot to make a backup of one folder.
I know the folders name and what was in.
I also know you can get software to recover this, but i have no idea what
Any ideas guys?
Thanks

A:Recovering Hard Drive

Actually, if you've formatted and installed Windows again, the prospects are pretty dim.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-hard-drive.534077/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have got problems with a sata Hard Drive. The system will boot to it but when I try to access any of the folders on it the system just shuts down and reboots.

I put an pata drive on the system, the computer works fine with that but when I try to access the sata drive through the pata drive I get an error message saying the folder is not accessible, access is denied.

All of my documents such as photos, spreadsheets and music are on this sata drive. Does anybody know of a good recovery program (at reasonable cost) that will recover all my info and maybe return the drive to its original state without to much trouble?

A:Recovering Hard Drive

If access is the problem, you need to take ownership of the files.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Or use these:

"Take Ownership" Context Menu
"Take Control"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-hard-drive.840426/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey guys, I haven't been here in a while because all things considered it's been smooth sailing on the computer for the last few years. Here is today's problem though. My girlfriend's laptop got hit by lightning a few months ago so we just got her a new one but all of her pictures are on the old hard drive. I bought an external case for the hard drive and it in fact works fine. My problem is how do I get her stuff off of the hard drive? She had a password protected account which I can get the password if I need but her account is hidden with it plugged in as a slave drive on my laptop. The hard drive is running XP and my laptop is running Vista if that's of any use.

A:Recovering From A Hard Drive

Alright, nevermind guys. I figured it out. I had to go in and change the permissions which was expected but it still wouldn't give me access to the files. So I went in to the Vista backup tool and backed up the photos only and had them placed on my hard drive. After I unzipped them all everything was good.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-from-a-hard-drive.856029/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello, The problem is that i want to recover all my files (Well not all) as Documents and Settings, i used GetdataBack for NTFS, it helped a little but "Documents and Settings are red (Empty). Is there a powerfull program that recovers almost everything (For Free, For Pay.) It's really urgent.
Thank you.

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello

Yesterday when i woke up i had a BSOD out of nowhere and my computer would boot up so i tried booting into a linux livecd to see if i could see any of my files and i could at the time but i couldnt copy them, now i think everything is much worse, i managed to get the drive into a computer with XP but now i cannot see any of my files all i see is:

My Dell Recovery Partition
and "Local Disk" which shows up as no space or anything its empty with no avaible space:

Please is there anything i can do to try and get some of my old files back? If i could just even get a couple its all i need. I will buy any app i need if i can help any amount of money, desperate.

Relevancy 48.59%

I had to do a system recovery and I chose the option to save all files but when I went to run the computer again everything was gone. Is there any way to get my old files back?

A:Recovering Old Files

if you selected an option to save your files they should still be there other than that unless you try a system restore wich might work it might not then i dont know soz

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-old-files-116975.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi,

First of all, let me thank you for taking your time to review my question and to possibly give me a suggestion on what to do.

My situation is that I had a horrible virus and I had to reformat and reinstall my computer. The computer was windows 7, and I reinstalled windows 7.

Now, I had some very important files in my documents before the reformat and reinstall, and I would very much like to get it back.

Is there any hope for me?

Thanks again,
Wing

A:Help with recovering files

The file recovery would yield better results if you tried to recover the files after formatting, installing Windows has written over some of the previous files on the drive.

I have used testdisk, TestDisk - CGSecurity with great results, how ever it uses the command line interface.

Here is another free file recovery program
PC Inspector - kostenlose Software fr die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter.

Another good file recovery program, Data Recovery Software Products - Runtime Software Products
the trial will show what files are recoverable, however you will need to purchase a license to do so.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-with-recovering-files-568902.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I recently had a problem with my computer and had to reformat my hard drive to get my system working again. The thing is, I have two hard drives, one that I used for my program files, and one that I used to save important files. I accidently erased the wrong hard drive and deleted some very important files. Is there any way to recover these files??

I have Windows XP operating system.

I'm desperate! Please help!!

A:Recovering Files

Some well regarded freeware that has a good chance of recovering a re-formatted drive or at least some significant files:http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recov....htm?language=1http://www.recuva.com/http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDiskIn situations where free software is unsuccessful, or only partially, I've seen numerous statements that GetDataBack succeeded, however this is not free software. But the demo will determine what the program could recover for you.http://www.runtime.org/Some of the advice regarding file recovery is general, and applies to attempting recovery using any software:http://www.runtime.org/recoverability.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/170291/recovering-files/
Relevancy 48.59%

I had to use the recovery console to try and repair windows because computer crashed. It wouldn't let me repair it because i had windows xp sp3 installed, but it gave me an option to save it on the hard drive and created a folder called my backup. How can i restore this file. it has all my pictures on it and everything else.
windows xp home edition sp3!!! im going crazy

A:Recovering files????

Hello tabdaven,

here is a link to a program that you can use to scan your system for lost files and it will make it so you can recover them

http://www.recuva.com/download

it comes with instrction how to use it & if they are corrupt it will repair them

its all in the way you tell it what to do

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-files-394059.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi there Guys,
Im having a big problem with my computer.Am havin two 80GiG HDDs.
I recently formatted my HDD so as to install a new Win xp onto my computer.But i accidently deleted my other HDD too..i didnt format the other HDD just deleted the partition only.How can i recover all my mp3,txt and all my other files without having to loose any data? Is there any freeware software or any way i can recover my data?

Please Advise and thanks guys..need to get my data as i have some assignments to hand in school..

Relevancy 48.59%

Hey I have a laptop that has windows xp media edition installed. I can't get it to boot in regular mode or safe mode. I was wondering if I install windows xp home onto a different partition than the media edition if I will be able to recover my documents from the partition that has the media edition installed?

easiest way would be to run hirens boot cd, get it here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/ and burn it to a disc.

boot to the disc by going into the bios and setting the disc drive as the first boot device or simply press whatever f key your asked to press to access the boot menu.

once loaded simply load mini windows xp to access all your files and transfer them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-files-530256.html
Relevancy 48.59%

A friend of mine came to me with a cd he had burned something in The identifiers he had written simply said back media He said he believed he had backed up copies of some pictures Upon loading the cd the only file accessible is a small re-me fill saying back When you open this it says the files were backed up to this cd using a back program and that you will need to use the program to recover them Problem is can t see the files at all don t remember what program he saved them in or with He is pretty sure the program had the backup file built in but given it was so long ago likely to be on Files Recovering a computer long gone Is there anyway to open see obtain or recover files you can see but you know Recovering Files are there I swear my friends do this just to see if I can solve their problems and go Recovering Files bald pulling my hair out Thanks

Does it by chance say what the file types are?
Mark

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/100467/recovering-files/
Relevancy 48.59%

I ve lost all my emails and a lot of them were very important grr I realised tha my inbox dbx had a copy inbox dbx I tried import and grr files Recovering .dbx found that all email files that had a copy would not import aka deletedfiles dbx did not have a copy and it imported fine So i did more Recovering .dbx files grr googling and found the reasons was that my inbox dbx was corrupt More googling found me programs to use but that all cost I m a bit iffy about Recovering .dbx files grr buying things over the internet and i d much rather do it for free who wouldnt I did find a bak file somewhere of my inbox dbx and im sure there was a inbox bak there somewhere but i cant fnid them now If i could i could just rename it and import it Does anyone have and ideas at all I would be much appriciative of any help you could offer - Thankyou nbsp

A:Recovering .dbx files grr

Hi Taios. I not sure if this what you are looking for.
http://www.recuva.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-dbx-files-grr.643685/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am struggling recovering files here and need some help I accidentally deleted some video files from my PC and I cannot get them back At least I can t get them back the way they were Here s the story these video clips recovering files were taken with my built in webcam The format they end up in is wmv Some of them are as long as min It is conferences w clients and I need them back desperately I have tried about different file recovery programs recover my files file scavenger data disk doctor etc but I cannot seem to get them back to life If I do get them back I have trouble trying to play them I normally get an error saying that quot You ve encountered an error message C D D while using Windows Media Player The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue Codec is missing Windows Media Player cannot play the file or cannot play either the audio or video portion of the file because the necessary codec is not installed on your computer The missing codec might be available to download from the Internet To search for the codec go to the WMPlugins com Web site quot So I am thinking my problem is fold I am not getting the file recovered fully or it is corrupt-- by the way is it possible to fix a corrupt file if so how something fishy is goin on w WMP Oh and one other thing if this is a quot CODEC quot problem I don t have a clue which CODEC I would need to download how in the world would I go about finding what I need Any help would be greatly appreciated these files are EXTREMELY important to me and I need them back I am brand new to this forum so I have no idea how it works But I would really appreciate someone helping me out I am not a computer guru by any means I know enough to be dangerous but I don t have any experience in troubleshooting problems like the ones I am currently experiencing Thank you in advance for your advice PS I am running on a Dell XPS M w Vista WMP is the player I am using nbsp

A:recovering files

What about your "Backup copy" of these files, you do have one right?
If not, you are up the creek without a paddle.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files.608844/
Relevancy 48.59%

So I recently deleted a couple of video files without realising that I still needed them. They were too big for the recycle bin, so windows gave me an option to "Permanently Delete" them. I really need to get these files back and can't figure out how to. Any help is appreciated.

A:Help recovering files

If it just happened you can try Recuva (free) or GetDataBack (paid)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-recovering-files-809417.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi all - although I m sure that people have fielded this question before had a quick look via google and got millions of hits the problem I am faced with is a little more specific and probably a little more hopeless as well I m in the final throes of writing my honours thesis and I went back to look at one of my old chapters When I did I realised that something was wrong as corrections I had made a month ago were no longer there After a lot of yelling at my computer made me feel a little better I realised what I must have done I ve been saving in two places to minimise loss if a file crashes but what it looks like I did was open one file and made all the corrections I m now missing and Recovering files old save it in one place then later I ve opened up the file in the other location to make different changes and Recovering old files then saved this file in both places overwriting my other changes Is there Recovering old files any way that I can access the first file from the date just before I over-wrote it I know the date that I must have made the mistake so if there s any way to access my computer s memory as it was at that point in time my work should theoretically still be recoverable if it s possible to do that Really hoping someone can help out with this my email is quot ohgodzines quot through hotmail - if someone has a useful suggestion they can throw my way Thanks all had to realise this a week before the damn thing s due didn t I sigh nbsp

A:Recovering old files

Try this one: http://www.z-a-recovery.com/unformat-tutorial.htm
It is free for up to four folder down, ie
C:\Documents and Setting\UserName\My Documents\My Documents
1,2,3,4 folders down

Also no need for email in your post, please edit it out (unless you want spam ?!)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-old-files.114289/
Relevancy 48.59%

I accidentally killdisk'd my EHD yesterday, I managed to stop it before it deleted anything. But the pc doesn't read my EHD anymore, I tried it on other pc's and it still wont read it. I can't access it even from cmd. Please tell me there is still a chance to recover my files

A:Need help on recovering files from EHD

update: my friend got it to run on the device management, and it showed up as Unallocated, then he tried to create an extended partition, and told me that all the files was already removed. is there really no chance at all?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-on-recovering-files-from-ehd.180793/
Relevancy 48.59%

I did something stupid and did a full system restore,I tried to undo restore and it didnt have a time that would take me back further enough to undo what i did, I tried to download free software to recover my files but I couldnt recover until I paid and I cant afford to right now,I called tech support at hp ( i have a hp pavilion) but they did pretty much what i tried to do on my own, I dont know what to do, i cant remember the name of all the files, but most of my music is gone and alot of my pictures, I can find my mother and sisters things but mine (administrative) is gone, please tell me theres a way to get my things back, it runs on windows xp.

when u do system restore, your hard drive get wiped clean in most cases, unless you done through a regular XP disc.
i you used the restore disk that came with your system. then you data is lost & most had drive recovery requires lots of work & results are not guaranteed.
so i would say you data is lost. hard luck this time. be careful next time please as some things can not be undone.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files.812452/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello,
My Laptop is once again in the Repair Mode Loop from Hell.

I'm trying to recover some important files I hadn't backed up yet with this ISO suggested on another thread.
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
I put it on a USB flash drive but I can't get the broken laptop to read it.

When I start the PC I click ESC which gives me the option to open with the USB stick but it then goes directly to the page that says do I want to open windows with repair? (recommended)
Or normally?
When I click either I'm taken back to the loop from hell.

My laptop is so old that I'm given "floppy disc" as an option in BIOS

You need to change the boot order in the bios first so it boots with the USB
If your computer does not have the option to boot from a USB you will need to put
Linux or Ubuntu onto a dvd or cd and boot into that
I use Linux Mint on a USB when I'm working on other peoples computers but have needed to have it also on a cd for older computers.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/303653-recovering-files.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I upgraded my HP M6 1045DX  laptop from windows 7 to windows 10.  everything went well and appeared to be working until I tried my income tax software.  i called microsoft and was advised to go back to windows 7.  I followed instructions and when I looked at my computer - i was at the recovery manager window.  i was unable to get back into windows. I have a backup of my files but it is not current.  i tried to do a backup of my files but could not.  how do i get a copy of the files on my harddrive.  if i am unable to use the laptop that is fine.  I have a new laptop but i really need my files.

You got some bad advice. Your old files were likely in the windows.old folder and should have been recoverable from there after the 7 to 10 upgrade, buit after downgrade who knows? Do you still have a windows.old folder on the C:\ drive? Do you even know exactly where the files were previously stored? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/recovering-files/td-p/5702339
Relevancy 48.59%

My computer caught a bug last night that caused one of the dll files to be deleted I searched and the only Files Recovering option that sounded like it would work was to run a recovery of my Windows XP I chose the option that would leave my files intact and just update the necessary windows files forgive me for not using the technical names It does it's thing Recovering Files reinstalls and I'm greeted with what looks to be a completely restored system As in none of my files are there like I was assuming they would be I check my hard drive space and notice that there is only gb left which is roughly what it was before I recovered I was able to locate my program installations under Recovering Files C My Backup -- - - PM Program Files but still no sign of personal files I've done a search as well I had over GB of music so I'm assuming that if it all was gone my disk space would be more than what it is now I do have a recovery drive but I don't know what it's there for Thanks in advance

When you do the search, under advanced options, check search in system folders, and also check search for system and hidden files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-files-319057.html
Relevancy 48.59%

My computer files recovering help Need died about a week ago some investigation fo the problem aided by the windows ultimate boot CD led me to believe that Need help recovering files the partition table Need help recovering files had been damaged or become corrupt due to a head crash after using PC inspector file recovery to scan for logical drives i found my old logical drive A brief inspection of the files confirmed that this was the old drive and filled with joy i clicked on the documents and settings subfolder to extract my personal files only to recieve a blank folder I dont think that the entire documents and settings folder has been wiped as this would be impossible condsidering its size im looking for advice regarding Need help recovering files a tool that might be better suited to recovering files or even just restoring the partition table enough for me to get my files off one constraint i cant put the drive in slave mode as i do not have the components neccessary to do so any programs i use need to be bootable i dont need nor want to format as i already have a new drive to put in i desperately need help most of my threads seem to sink under the swell of new threads but i shall not allow this one to nbsp

A:Need help recovering files

an update, ive set PC inspector file recovery to scan all sectors for lost files, this might solve the problem, let me know if it feasably could

update of the update: the scan initially indicated it woudl take 2 years to complete, it is now at 3 months till completion and dropping fast...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-recovering-files.738973/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have an old Windows XP desktop that will not boot up. I don't recall the error, but it keeps rebooting over and over. I am interested in getting some files off the hard drive. What is the easiest way?

1. Buy a IDE to USB adapter to read the old hard drives using my Windows 8.1 laptop

or

2. Create a bootable CD or USB drive and try and copy files from the command prompt to another USB drive?

A:Recovering files

I vote for #1 I have docking cables. They are pretty cheap. I don't know W8.1.
I'm a W7 person!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-files-983201.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I accidentally deleted some files, word documents, off of my usb and I really need to recover them. Does anyone know how to recover deleted files? I'm desperate for some help!

Relevancy 48.59%

I have accidentally copied over several files with new files of the same name. Is it possible to recover the originals?

not unless you backed up the previous versions

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-files-588507.html
Relevancy 48.59%

i deleted a file right now that i need to recover. i know the path and i typed it into cmd like this:
recover c:\blah blah\file i need, and it said cannot lock the drive, volume is still in use. if anyone's got any tips they would be appreciated.

if it bugs just say it's a glitch in teh matrix

Relevancy 48.59%

My computer caught a bug last night that caused one of the dll files Files Recovering to be deleted I searched and the only option that sounded like it would work was to run a recovery of my Windows XP I chose the Recovering Files option that would leave my files intact and just update the necessary windows files forgive me for not using the technical names It does it s thing reinstalls and I m greeted with what looks to be a completely restored system As in none of my files are there like I was assuming they would be I check my hard drive space and notice that there is only gb left -if it had wiped my harddrive of everything I had before that number would be much much higher I think I m missing something here or don t know how to go about retrieving my files Thanks in advance for helping out this newbie Edit I just looked and there is a recovery drive I feel pretty stupid admitting this but I have no idea what to do now nbsp

Hi,
Download TreeSize here:
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
Take a look at your drives and see where the space is being used. It may show where your files have gone.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files.774967/
Relevancy 48.59%

I had to format my computer recently, and I was able to retrieve many files with a program called Pandora. However, it only finds select file types i.e. .zip, .doc, .exe, .jpg, etc... and not file types I still want. They are:

.htm, .html - probably used for other programs, but I mainly want firefox files back, such as bookmarks

.rar - similar to .zip

.deh, .bex - 'dehacked' additions to playing classic doom

.pdf - adobe acrobat

.bak, .proc, .cm, .map, .script - map information for doom 3 maps

.txt - notepad

My computer info (though this seems likely to be irrelevant) is:
C521 Dell, Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Does anyone know of any programs that can retrieve at least some of the file types I mentioned above? Thanks in advance.

Hello mtres7 and welcome.I have heard good things about recover my files http://www.recovermyfiles.com/ sadly not free.There are some good freeware alternatives http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/158632/recovering-files/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi all

I deleted some files from my recycle bin. I purchased a product called 'undelete' and could see my deleted files via scan.

Then, I went to 'recover' and all my .jps and .gifs turned to 'unregsieted .und' files.

What is a und file? and can it be recovered?

Many thanks
sorry, didnt know where to post this one.
Kitty

A:recovering UND files

Does the undelete software need to be purchased before you can recover the files? "Unregistered .und" sounds like you need to get a license first.

This software is free if you want to give it a try:
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
Glary Undelete

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-und-files-548938.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello,
I recently deleted a Document from my CD-RW, and am wondering if there is anyway to recover it? I haven't re-written any data on the disk after the deletion. Thanks

Relevancy 48.59%

Right now on my computer I have two SATA hard drives. One had an installation of XP on it but it got screwed over(long story involved lightning). So I installed XP on the other drive then hooked the second drive which contained all my old files. Now this worked good and fine, and I can access all the files on this drive except the folder for my user(Cocuments and Settings\Me). When I try to open this fold it says "Not Accessible, Access Denied". Also when I right click on it it shows the folder being 0 mb in size. Now I am assuming this is from Windows XP encrypting those files so I could only access them when I was logged on that user. So does anyone know if it is possible to get these files back or am I SOL. Thanks a alot.

Shouldn't be a problem
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files.249119/
Relevancy 48.59%

windows 2000 won't boot because of a corrupt file. can i recover business files by hooking the drive up as a slave in my other system?

Yes, the same thing happened to me recently, you could also reinstall win2000, or use the win2000 cd to recover the corrupt file. Do this by booting the PC with the install disk in the drive(make sure that you BIOS settings are setup to look to the CD drive before the Hard Drive)then choose the "Repair Windows installation", instead of the "Install Windows" option.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files.88653/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi,

So today I downloaded Recuva to recover some files that I had deleted and it worked. But I saw files and pictures that I have never deleted before and they were never on my computer. What are they?

Thanks in advance.

They could be from applications that you uninstalled.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507687/recovering-files/
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm trying to help someone recover files on an HP Pavillion dv9000 running Vista. From what I know, the laptop crashed a few days ago and when restarted the only option was to do a system restore. After the restore, almost all files are recovered but some are missing, namely all videos and certain documents - documents that were on the "Recent" list under the Windows menu. I did look around on the drive and couldn't find any trace of the missing files.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi,
You could try these free recovery progs:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/info.htm?language=1

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-files.883379/
Relevancy 48.59%

I had many problems with my computer so I reformated the hd, how can I recover some of my docs? Is there a way to recover my pics and docs using windows xp.

A:Recovering Old files

Try restoration its FREE

Good Luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-old-files.498410/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have an HP Pavillion dv laptop running Vista with a GB hard drive The problem began when I would get a blue screen error within minute after booting up I replaced the hard drive after HP s bios disk checker indicated that I had a bad drive I could still quot see quot the files on the drive so I purchased an enclosure kit in order to copy the data to the new drive For good measure with the from drive help Need data recovering hard drive now set up as an external USB I ran check disk on it right-click the drive select properties tools error checking with Automatically fix file errors Need help recovering data from hard drive selected from a different Windows machine Trouble Afterwards I can no longer see my data my documents photos etc Instead I see the attached window Note it includes these files only WINDOWS BT WINDOWS LS PerfLogs Program Files Program Files x Users amp Windows All folders only contain windows information my files programs users are all gone Also the drive now appears to be mostly empty I don t understand how check disk could have overwritten all that data Is it possibly still there I appreciate any help recovering the data nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

I am hoping beyond hope that I did not just do what i think Recovering drive hard data on I did My laptop suddenly died and from what i have been able to diagnosis I lost the mother board or the processor I am getting ready to box it up and send it to HP but before I do i removed the harddrive to back it up At work I have a brand new desktop that is running windows vista I created a folder Recovering data on hard drive on the machine and copied all of the files except the administrator file not sure why from the laptop drive to the desktop When prompted by Window I took control of each folder and let it copy for an hour Later in the day I went to access a document that was on the laptop drive from my backup folder but cannot find any files from My Documents So I brought the laptop drive home to attempt the same backup on a machine that has Windows XP like the laptop I see everything except My Documents When I click on the folder where they should be a pop up says access is denied I try to take ownership of the file but to no avail furthermore when I look at the properties it says that the folder has files and bytes When I backed it up or tried to on the desktop at work there was like GB in there I am very afraid that I have lost all of my files that i really cared about and use most often Can anyone shed some light on what I did wrong or what I might be able to do to recover this important data thanks in advance nbsp

A:Recovering data on hard drive

this is just a theory but i seem to remember that if you used a password on your old drive then the files wont be accessible if it's ran as a slave drive -
one suggestion i found - dunno if it will work- is go into bios and change boot order to slave first then when you reboot hit f8 and boot in safe mode from you slave drive - might work....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-data-on-hard-drive.621457/
Relevancy 48.59%

My ps recently wasn t able to boot and I tried everything to get it running again but was unsuccessful so I had to restore the ps back to factory condition now it drive. recovering hard Need ps3 from help data s working fine I wasn t able Need help recovering data from ps3 hard drive. to back up any saved game progress on any of the games before I did this though and would Need help recovering data from ps3 hard drive. like it back if that is possible now I know that when you delete something the residue of the program is still there until overwritten So I took the hard drive out of the ps and plugged it into my computer and ran avg rescue cd since it has a data recovery tool on it and other similar tools one is called photorec and the other is testdisk My only problem is I don t know how to use these programs to recover the data I realize that it is likely that I won t be able to recover it but I want to try since I haven t written anything to the hard drive since I restored it If there are other better tools for the job I will try anything at this point I also think there may be a problem with the hard disk Thank you for any help anyone can provide nbsp

A:Need help recovering data from ps3 hard drive.

TestDisk tutorial here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-recovering-data-from-ps3-hard-drive.1064508/
Relevancy 48.59%

Our 18 - month old computer's hard disk died. After replacing it, we realized we had no operating system to install on it. We didn't want to go back to Vista (too many problems) and had a friend put Windows XP on it.

Will Windows honour the downgrade? Is it possible to get a recovery disk from HP (the store won't give us one)? And if so, would that mean having to run Vista again?

Any help will be SOOOO appreciated!

J Starr

A:Recovering after hard disk crash

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstarr

Our 18 - month old computer's hard disk died. After replacing it, we realized we had no operating system to install on it. We didn't want to go back to Vista (too many problems) and had a friend put Windows XP on it.

J Starr

When you say a friend put windows XP on it did he buy a new OEM version, or use a copy he already had?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-after-hard-disk-crash-325778.html
Relevancy 48.59%

My secondary hard drive recently stopped reading on me, though it seems like it still has the data on it (and it still spins, I can hear it turn on).

For a while it seemed that putting it in the freezer for a while would allow me about twenty minutes or so of time to copy data (which I got some of), but even that seemed to stop working. I already got my replacement drive in the computer, so I'm using an external enclosure for any data recovery attempts.

Is there any other way of getting Windows to recognize the drive? Maybe some "home remedies" like the freezer method.

Another note, the computer, when booting up, recognizes the drive installed (in SATA slot 2 as a WDC Non-Raid drive, with accurate capacity, 698GB or whatever), so that's another sign it's not completely dead.

A:Recovering data from a hard drive

How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk) - Windows 7
If the computer will recognize it, it may be time to have a little look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/142204-recovering-data-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi Everyone,
I have a HD from a laptop and I pulled it out since it doesn't want to boot!
I'm using some cables to connect this HD to a USB to my desktop. I can see the drive but the Document and Setting folder give me and "access is denied" msg i can not open it. how can i go around it! there is just one file that we need from there!

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

A:Recovering some data from a hard drive

You need to take ownership of the folders/files: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-some-data-from-a-hard-drive.1031500/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello I have a client I am doing publishing web site work for whos hard drive crashed this morning He was loading pictures off of his digital camera when the computer restarted It posted and tried to boot of the hard Recovering clients my drive hard drive but it couldn t find any data on it In bios it shows the hard drive as being there I loaded the hard drive into my computer and checked that it was still being read in windows It showed the drive as there but it was showing bytes of available space Everything was for that matter This leads me to believe there is either a problem with the circuit board or the platters I don t see how the platters could get totally deleted though that s why I think it will be possible to recover his data I have thought about throwing it in the freezer for hours to see if it s a mechanical error but I don t want to try that until I am sure I can t do it another way I don t have an extra hard drive of the same brand model so I can t try changing the circuit board either Should I Recovering my clients hard drive tell him Recovering my clients hard drive to contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement drive if his waranty is still valid The hard drive is a WD if it matters I don t have the model number currently but I can get it if needed Any suggestions Thanks Mike nbsp

A:Recovering my clients hard drive

is the data on the drive important? if its not, you could try blanking the drive...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-my-clients-hard-drive.294441/
Relevancy 48.59%

I tried to reformat my hard drive and did the following.

Somehow I managed to partition my hd and ended up with a very small c: and an extended drive named F:. I went to disk manager and deleted f: but it did not send the unallocated disk space to my C:.

My C: remains too small to even use system restore. It is under 200 mbs in size.

I want to have all of my disk space reallocated to c:. Can you help me?

Relevancy 48.59%

Yikes! My 250 GB Ide HD has seemed to have failed. On boot up it clicks and rattles and the computer doesn't seem to recognize it. I then installed it as a second drive but the computer won't boot up with it in the system. Any ideas as to how to "fix" this or recover my pictures and music from it?

I've replaced the bad HD with a smaller hard drive from another computer and all seems well except I can't put the "bad" drive back in and have the computer work.

Thanks,

Bill
XP Home OS

A:Recovering data from bad hard drive

There is a 'trick' for bad-bearing issues like that.

You put the drive in a sealed and as-airless-as-you-can-get freezer bag and put it in the freezer for several hours.

Then pop it in the comp and try and access the files and copy them quick if you can.

The jumpers should be set as slave obviously (or cable select and on the appropriate lead as the case may be).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-data-from-bad-hard-drive-398828.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I ve searched and read several threads about problems similar to mine but From Data Drive Hard Recovering Old have not found the same exact circumstance So I apologize up front if this information could have been found with a more thorough search I have an older Gateway Desktop computer I am trying to retrieve the data from the hard disk The computer died on me before I could save my data I had two hard drives in this computer so I ordered two external enclosures thinking I Recovering Data From Old Hard Drive would be able to get the data The newest hard drive Maxtor gig worked in the enclosure but the original hard drive an IBM gig did not totally work for me Operating System Windows XP Professional When I look into My Computer System Properties Hardware Device Manager Disk Drives the IBM hard drive appears there But I have no drive letter assigned to the IBM drive when looking for it in Windows Explorer or Recovering Data From Old Hard Drive My Computer Hard Disk Drives It does not show up there therefore I cannot get my data The Maxtor shows up at this location when I have it plugged into USB but the IBM does not I recall when I installed the Maxtor into the system I also installed some kind of upgrade card that would run the Maxtor because it was a faster speed quot something or other quot The numbers that come to mind are I can t remember what this was technically but some of you may recognize and know what I mean Seems like the original hard drive IBM was quot quot whatever the term is and the new one Maxtor was quot quot or quot quot whatever the technical term is I don t know if this makes any difference or not as far as Windows XP Professional assigning a drive number Can anyone give me help on how to obtain a drive letter for this older IBM drive without reformatting it or repartitioning it I ll lose my data as I understand it if I perform these functions nbsp

A:Recovering Data From Old Hard Drive

How i did it

I removed the old HD.
Then i installed OS on my new partitioned HD.
Then just set old ones jumpers as slave,to a slave connection,and start your
computer.You didn't need all those extra devices,unless all your 4 IDE connections where used.Even so you could remove one,hook up old one and copy old files to parition without Windows.
then remove it and put the other device back.
I hope i explained this ok.Please ask if not sure.
Note : Turn off Power supply doing these connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-data-from-old-hard-drive.70155/
Relevancy 48.59%

So my wife's computer died last week. When you turn it on it beeps really loud and that's it. No blue screen or anything. It's under warranty so it will be covered but we need to recover the data on her hard drive. We tried Best Buy and the want $160 to do it and the local guy that tried couldn't do it. Our problem is that she set a password for windows and it won't let us access the files in Documents and Settings. I have it hooked up to a USB enclosure and it works fine but it won't let me open the files. The error reads "Access Denied" and that's all. I tried the Microsoft website and found nothing that helped me but I might not have known that is what I needed. Any suggestions are appreciated.

A:Recovering Data On Hard Drive

Depending on whether you are booting with XP pro or Home the directions are a bit different for this -- but if Home boot up in Safe Mode.Right click on a directory you want to get access to and select Properties, then the Security tab. Add the User Name of the profile you are logged into to the Permissions list.See this link for more info:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;308421

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/110633/recovering-data-on-hard-drive/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have an external Docking station for my old SATA seagate ST AS GB hard drive and put it on there and Drive Failing Recovering Hard power it on Recovering Failing Hard Drive my new pc Once my pc detects the usb external device I get pop up windows for Recovering Failing Hard Drive each partition on my old HDD telling me that each drive needs to be formatted I click cancel cause I don't want to lose the data from that HDD even though it no longer boots up Vista on my old pc Recovering Failing Hard Drive neither does it ask me to use Startup repair anymore when I try to boot my old pc with the old hard drive I have used the manufacturer's HDD Diagnostic tool seatools for dos and after the repair it told me I had about something bad sectors So now I know what's wrong with it I'm trying to use Spinrite to recover my data but it stays stuck at on level I have no S M A R T monitor capabilities on Spinrite even though I have SMART enabled and status of SMART is ok in the bios I cannot change the emulation of my Sata controller in the bios so Spinrite could detect it it only allows me to enable or disable it However I have checked my Hard drive on my new pc using the docking station with an app called CrystalDiskInfo and allows SMART monitor capabilities with the use of an external USB hard drive After scanning it showed my Hard drive was C and it's health status was at quot Caution quot The old HDD is back in the old pc using Spinrite but it's taking hours and has not moved The only time it moved a bit of blocks in the Graphic Status display was when I stopped it wrote down the starting point and began to repair it again on level where I left off and even after those processed blocks it's only NEAR Right now I'm using level operation and i'm on cylinder and head The Dynastat data recovery graph shows a straight red line with dots in between in the middle of the graph where a question mark lies Anyone here who has any experience using Spinrite can help me with any suggestions or tell me what the hell is going on why hasn't Spinrite showed a recovered data from a sector on the graphic status display

A:Recovering Failing Hard Drive

Take a linux live distro, and run badblocks -c 100000 -sn /dev/sda (or /sda1).

Peace!

Devvie

~~~ notemail@facebook.com ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare
??
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! ? (? 95-1 by Coredump; 2-012 by DevNullius)

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/295642-recovering-failing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I recently bought a (180gb) external MAXTOR hardrive. It was connected via FIREWIRE.
Well it was working fine formatted as NTFS. But all of a sudden I go to access it and it cannot be recognized...and it looks like the file format is RAW.

I have know clue what happened.
I have some criticle data on it that I need. my last resort is one of those recovery services.

But isn't there a tool or something I can repair so I can atlease get the data off?

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Ken

A:Help recovering MAXTOR hard drive

I've used this before, and it seems to work fine..

http://www.ontrack.com/

Easy Recovery Pro

Has a trial that allows you to see files that have been deleted - so you know if it can get your files back. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-recovering-maxtor-hard-drive.220600/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have 2 additional hard drives on my PC, a virus infestation somehow messed up the boot record,
so now windows sees the drives, and it sees them as containing data, but it doesnt show the file structure.
any advice how to fix this?

A:Need help recovering 2 hard drives after a virus

You might want to post in the Am I Infected forums

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/403041/need-help-recovering-2-hard-drives-after-a-virus/
Relevancy 48.16%

Here's the story. I get a phone call from someone who had the missing NTLDR message. THey said they were on the phone with microsoft for hours. The person outsourced told them to do another install of Windows to get in so they can back up their files. They tell him to install to Windows1 instead of Windows. I guess the smart outsourced agent thought this wouldn't delete any files since my friend told him he has some very important documents on this hard drive. So he installs another Windows and guess what, his documents and settings get overwritten. Looks like these guys really know what they're talking about since any Microsoft person should know this happens no matter where you install Windows. Is there any way to recover this files?

A:Help with recovering deleted files

Did they perform a format when reinstalling Windows?

If not, the files should still be in C:\Documents and Settings

Or where else did they have the files stored?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-recovering-deleted-files.470413/
Relevancy 48.16%

I need to get access to some files I saved in an old Maxtor One Touch Plus external HDD some years back. I tried plugging the drive into my desktop. The power indicator on the drive lit up but I could not see it in the list of drives under the "My Computer" menu.

I checked under "Device Manager" and saw it was listed there. A friend advised me to assign a letter to the drive. I attempted to do this but I got a return from Windows saying that the drive is write protected so I could not complete the process.

Is there any other way I can recover my files from the drive?

A:Need help recovering files from old external HDD

There is always the idea of taking the drive out of the external and directly connecting the drive to your motherboard.

I wish I understood how the drive could be locked. Do you not have any options to unlock the drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-recovering-files-from-old-external-hdd.180591/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all, a few months back my PC broke. Think the fan went, which in turn fried the graphics card. My dad has given my his old PC which is identical to mine. His is fully operational, but I want to recover a load of photos of my old one and was wondering the best way to go about it bearing in mind I'm a complete novice. I was thinking the easiest way would be to just take the fan and graphics card out of the operation and replace the broken ones in my old machine. But after reading up on it, would it be easier to take the hard drive out the old one and connect it as a second hdd to the working one.

Or would the safest option be to buy one of these external enclosure for a hdd that show me to connect it via USB?

Thanks in advance for any advice

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/129114-recovering-files-broken-pc.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Well Recently my computer just got totally attacked with viruses like every minute something would pop up quot blah blah blah infected by blah blah blah quot and so i kept trying to repair and move to chest all these infected files and that wasn't working so i had to delete them it was need help recovering Lost files my only other option and some were Very important files such as rundll exe were infected and so it got to the point i couldn't even log in my guess is because i deleted a file or program that was used to help me log in so when i restarted my computer the first screen that comes up the big compaq Lost files need help recovering emblem in red letters it has acouple commands at the bottom of the screen one of them is quot complete system recovery press F quot so i did NOW this is the part i think is why this all happened one of the options of the basic setup when i did the system recover thing was quot would you like to keep all your files protected quot or some other word so i just said yes So it completely restarted my computer like when i turned it on after i did the recovery thing it was like quot thank you for purchasing this computer quot and it ran me through a basic setup so when i would go to find my old files i would go to C Documents and Settings All Users Desktop to find the stuff on my old desktop so when i recovered them they worked fine well when i turned on my computer the next day if i tried to open one of my old files it would give me this error Here's the backslide When i go into safe mode on my computer i can access the files but its like gb of stuff so i know that i can take a flash drive and get that stuff but it would take awhile what im wondering is there any way i can this all my files back without flash driving it If its needed my computer is a Compaq Presario SR NX Thank you so much

A:Lost files need help recovering

Log in as Administrator (not your user profile that is administrator) and see if you can access the files. To access the administrator account, when you get to the login screen hit CTRL,ALT, Del twice and you will get the stanard login screen to type in Administrator. If you didn't set a Admin password, leave it blank.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-files-need-help-recovering-372022.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi folks
Some time ago I burned one of my larger .dbx files to disc. Now I want to reload it back into Outlook Express so I can read these emails. My .dbx files are saved in D: My Email Addresses. I dragged the desired .dbx file to that folder. Windows Explorer shows that it is there but when I go to use Outlook Express it is NOT there.
I know that I must be doing something wrong but.
Need your help please.
Ed

Relevancy 48.16%

I am using an external drive to back up data from several computers I have After copying files off of one and plugging the drive into anouther Windows will no longer recognize the drive It sees it under device manager and says it is working fine but it will not show up under my computer I looked around online last night and Recovering Solved: files found several places that said I needed to do Solved: Recovering files the following Start Control Panel Administrative Tools Computer Management Disk Management and then select the appropiate drive and go to Format It Solved: Recovering files was late and I didn t think it through unfortunatly I did a quick NTSF format on it Windows now recognizes the drive again but I need to recover the files Several of them are my taxes lol If anyone has any suggestions please let me know I am curently running quot Recover My Files quot it has been running for hours and isn Solved: Recovering files t even a third done Its found alot of files but it keeps finding turbo tax files and i never used turbo tax If anyone has suggestions please let me know Sepias nbsp

A:Solved: Recovering files

Have a look here Sepia and see if anything rings a bell.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-recovering-files.397858/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have now managed to Install the IDT High Definition Audio Codec buy doing a factory restore, as I found it wouldn't be compatible with Windows 10 unless I reverted to Windows 7 and upgraded from there. In doing a Factory Restore, I backed up my files and was told they would be backed up to G:\hpDVDRAMGT30, but can't find this on my Computer, I wonder if you could help me find them please? I also backed them up to 3 CDs, but the 2nd CD keeps getting ejected.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/recovering-backed-up-files/td-p/5837421
Relevancy 48.16%

My wife,s computer is an HP desktop with all the bells and whistles running Windows 7. She contracted a nasty virus and I had to do a complete system reinstall. Carbonite was our backup provider. I am trying to integrate these files into the reintalled Mozilla Thunderbird. How do I do this? Thanks

A:Recovering Mozilla files

What files are "these files"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-mozilla-files.1027467/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a pile of floppy disks in front of me that have files on them with the extension .B1 I believe these are backup files, how can open them?

A:recovering back up files

Do you have any recollection how those backups were made? The extension is not one I recognize.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-back-up-files.154753/
Relevancy 48.16%

One of my PCs got a little haywire a month ago and my brother solved the problem by reformatting the HD and reinstalling XP. I've read places that it is possible to recover deleted files but I'm wondering if it could be done with a computer that has been reformatted. Since then it had had minimal use/storage and the files I need are important.

Help is greatly appreciated!

A:Recovering Lost Files

Depending on if you are pretty astute and familiar with comuters, I would suggest you slave the drive (using an external drive housing via usb) to another computer and use a recovery program to see whats there. STOP USING THE COMPUTER ASAP. Any use may overwrite the data you are trying to recover.
If the data is really important, take it to a PC repair business.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-lost-files-482181.html
Relevancy 48.16%

i am running winxp sp 2 there was some problemin winxp and it crashed
and so did all my user accounts which have administrator privilege. I tried to recover but to no use. Now i installed windows on another partition. I have before encrypted some video files in another drive. they are still showing encrypted and wont open up. Nor can i remove encryption from them. I have found the administrator's account which encrypted them in the crashed installation partition. I have a backup of the encryption keys in that folder but dont know how to use them to remove encryption from these files. i used advanced efs recovery software and was able to recover the files by decrypting them but when i open them they wont play. could you please help me out with this problem. also if i make a fat partition and copy the files onto it will the encryption be removed then?

A:Recovering encrypted files

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-encrypted-files.479079/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, I recently lost 20 avi files on my external hard drive (WD My Passport). The next time I started my laptop Vista started to scan the drive and then said it was 'Recovering Orphaned Files,' it got 3 of the avi's back and I'm now wondering is it possible to get them all back or would those be the only three left? Thanks!

A:Recovering Orphaned Files?

try using some free recovery utility - recuva or other if want

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-orphaned-files.920391/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi everyone I got a massive problem here Some background info Today when I attempted to turn on my computer I got a mysterious blue screen about Unmountable Boot Volume with the second parameter reading c lt ---apparently that part's important or something I dunno Anyway I managed to resolve this problem using the XP CD-ROM's Recovery Console and using the quot chkdsk r quot command in the Command Prompt Recovering Files, help! Lost I then exitted the Command Prompt and ran Recovering Lost Files, help! Windows as you normally would Everything booted up nicely but I got some weird error messages the ones in the window with the red circle and a white cross you know those things that I had never encountered before something about an error and 'BigChief' which is the account name I use for Windows I thought I'd re-restart just to make sure everything was normal which is when everything f 'd up My current problem When Windows booted up again everything seemed like the way it was when I had first installed Windows XP an empty desktop with only the Recycle Bin in the bottom right corner and a wallpaper of a flushing green meadow My first impression was that the Recovery Console had completely formatted C drive which would certainly explain the length of time it took to complete Upon further inspection some of my old programs which didn't come default with XP Photoshop for example were still present and working but the settings had been defaulted The only evidence of my My Documents files specifically BigChief's My Documents files or for that matter any of my saved pictures videos and audio files was the name BigChief itself and the picture of a popular video game character I had saved for the account all else is nowhere to be found To make things more complicated - at least for me - is that my C drive is still about full just as I had left it and in case it matters I have about gigs of Hard Disk space in total So is going on How can I recover all my files and settings and what do you guys think caused the problem in the first place Any help would be greatly appreciated Cheers BigChief

A:Recovering Lost Files, help!

Go to My Computer > C drive > Documents and Settings and see if your documents are in there under a the old user or a different user name.

Andy

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-lost-files-help-147993.html
Relevancy 48.16%

My computer recently had a BSOD crash and now goes recovering files about Question through the quot Startup-- gt windows is loading files-- gt Can t repair files automatically quot loop I was able to run a pre-boot test for the hardware and it passed I figure it Question about recovering files s just the OS that s corrupted so I want to get my information extracted from it before I re install windows and put the information back on it I have heard of using Ubuntu to recover the files That seems to be the route I ll be taking but I was wondering if it recovers ALL files Not just the popular ones wma mp s jpgs gifs pdfs etc because I have some software and software specific files that I need to recover as well I would like to recover the entire gigs on my gig drive and have at least of the files working like before this disaster Is this feasible or too optimistic nbsp