Windows Support Forum

Win 7 Updates Stuck on Downloading % For Three Days!!

Q: Win 7 Updates Stuck on Downloading % For Three Days!!

Hi Everyone....

I have been struggling thru this Win 7 update hassle on my two Dell PCs both running Win 7 , 64 bit, SP1, Windows firewall, and Avast Free. In the past, updates just took a while, but eventually, they went thru OK.

Suddenly, after this week's updates, one of my PCs got stuck at 0% downloading 5 selected updates since Tuesday. The other PC updated properly with no problem.

I have left the system on for hours on end, but it is still 0%.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/400758-win-7-updates-stuck-downloading-three-days.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Win 7 Updates Stuck on Downloading % For Three Days!!

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 26.23%

Hi fellow techspotters,

odd thing has happened to my friend, whos pc I have handbuilt. Every time he starts downloading lets say 1gb or bigger file his RAM starts to fill up. No processes are visible to be the cause. Cpu usage stays on normal level, but the ram just keeps on filling. Until it is throttled by capping on 8gb and he is forced to pause the download and reboot the machine, and the RAM is cleaned.

I posted this under networking, because I doubt that it is a hardware related problem.
The numbers go some like this. 8gb of RAM = 20gb of download -> cap -> restart -> ram clear -> restore download. And the RAM gets used oddly like its ment to behave like this. Does it store something on the way?

It isnt actually a problem, my friend can cope with it. But I as a builder of the PC would really like to solve this. I have never encountered such memory behavior with downloads before.

Screencaps of the situation available when I get home from work.

cheers
m

A:RAM capping while downloading large files

Does the machine have an anti-virus installed? And if so, does memory usage have the same effect with or without active scanning?

When monitoring Task Manager, which process is using the memory allotment that appears to be accumulating? Killing the process should clear memory usage by that process.

Forgive me as I beat around the bush, not really knowing what to say.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-capping-while-downloading-large-files.212335/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hello It may seem like a simple problem but I know nothing of the subject and I ve had the problem for ages Whenever I copy large files Movie size think MB the copy progresses very remaining" drives "5 sec Copying to/from stuck before for flash on 30 finishing seconds fast MB s until it reaches about where it gets stuck for about seconds to a minute and it says quot Time remaining seconds quot during all that time I have this problem with any flash drive in any USB port amp It also happens when copying to network drives and external harddrives which leads me to think it s a software windows issue Some vital information Copying to/from flash drives stuck on "5 seconds remaining" for 30 sec before finishing The flash drive I mainly use is USB quite new and easily capable of MB s writing speeds It reaches about - MB s during the copy until the final point where it still says MB s but does nothing for seconds USB port is also and I ve also tried every single other port in my computer None are broken and none ever show any signs of being slow The flash drive is NTFS formatted but it used to be FAT I ran checkdisk to see if there was anything wrong but there wasn t It s NTFS since I occasionally need files gt GB I tried using TeraCopy to bypass the issue but this way doesn t reach speeds of over MB s which takes even longer in the end It does fix the hanging at issue I tried converting the drive back to FAT which removes the issue of it hanging at but again the speed doesn t go above MB s which means it takes longer in the end making it not worth it What bothers me is that the files transfer at the maximum speed right until the very end where it just magically gets stuck for seconds or more before finishing like nothing happened Please advise P S I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware nbsp

A:Copying to/from flash drives stuck on "5 seconds remaining" for 30 sec before finishing

Marty9231 said:

Hello!

It may seem like a simple problem, but I know nothing of the subject and I've had the problem for ages.

Whenever I copy large files (Movie size, think 700MB+), the copy progresses very fast (~100MB/s) until it reaches about 99% where it gets stuck for about 30 seconds to a minute, and it says "Time remaining: 5 seconds" during all that time.

I have this problem with any flash drive, in any USB port (2 & 3). It also happens when copying to network drives and external harddrives, which leads me to think it's a software/windows issue.

Some vital information:

The flash drive I mainly use is USB 3.0, quite new and easily capable of ~150MB/s writing speeds. It reaches about 120-130 MB/s during the copy until the final point where it still says 130 MB/s but does nothing for 30 seconds.

USB port is also 3.0, and I've also tried every single other port in my computer. None are broken, and none ever show any signs of being slow.

The flash drive is NTFS formatted, but it used to be FAT32. I ran checkdisk to see if there was anything wrong, but there wasn't. It's NTFS since I occasionally need files >4GB.

I tried using TeraCopy to bypass the issue, but this way doesn't reach speeds of over 20MB/s which takes even longer in the end. It does fix the 'hanging at 99% issue'.

I tried converting the drive back to FAT32, which removes the issue of it hanging at 99%, but again the speed doesn't go above 20MB/s which means it takes longer in the end, making it not worth it.

What bothers me is that the files transfer at the maximum speed right until the very end, where it just magically gets stuck for 30 seconds or more, before finishing like nothing happened.

Please advise!!

P.S.: I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware. Click to expand...

Although I've had the same happen on my downloads, this "P.S.: I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware." could be part of the problem, good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-to-from-flash-drives-stuck-on-5-seconds-remaining-for-30-sec-before-finishing.207001/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi so for starters this is my rig AMD A - K Quadcore Gigabyte F A M D H rev motherboard X GB Corsair Gaming Memory DDR RAM PowerColor HD GB TB HDDs So anyway I ve noticed that my performance was pretty strangely bad with games these days I just haven t had much time to play but now it became stuck .924v at A8-5600k and 1400mhz terribly clear some games like Outlast and Dark Souls had low fps at times my friend s PC which has an AMD ghz dual core processor and a GT with GB RAM does far better he can run Outlast all A8-5600k stuck at 1400mhz and .924v very high with stable FPS I ve rocking it at medium and it still dips to fps Both of us were puzzled by this because HD is far superior to GT and the A - K can clearly be seen in benchmarks everywhere to outperform that processor of his significantly as well After doing a stress test of my A - k with prime or even AMD Overdrive torture tests either Overdrive or CPU-Z would display that the clock speed is only mhz and the voltage is or a bit more like x and it would just be stuck like that during the tests So it points to my processor not running like it should So maybe it s my A8-5600k stuck at 1400mhz and .924v board I ve disabled C APM cool n quiet set turbo to ghz in BIOS it s still does the same thing I ve even tried disabling turbo and overclocking with the BIOS to ghz or even ghz as well still stuck at mhz Game performance still weirdly bad What should I do nbsp

A:A8-5600k stuck at 1400mhz and .924v

Do you have the ability to disable the onboard graphics for the A8-5600K from within your Bios (or) change the graphics over to PCI-E only? Also, check the Windows Power Management and make sure that it is not limiting the maximum cpu percentage (or set to balanced or power saver modes - you want Performance mode). Not the only solutions, but try these first and see what happens.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a8-5600k-stuck-at-1400mhz-and-924v.202942/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a 128gb samsung SSD. I was wondering what updates I can remove to get more space on the SSD because windows7+all updates are currently using half of the SSD space and somehow only 119gb of the SSD space is displayed so I'm guessing that 8gb is reserved or something.
I'm currently removing the extra languages and those are giving me and extra 5,5gb space

A:Windows 7 Ultimate updates and SSD question

Somehow I think you have more installed than Windows and updates. Internet Explorer, Bing Bar, and Bing Desktop are the only updates I have hidden. All other Windows Updates have been installed. I wouldn't put all the blame on WIndows, if you have an install using 60GB.

​Anyone with more than 8GB memory and still has Pagefile and Hibernation, by default has more than 16GB used by these two files alone. I recommend using them only if needed. I personally don't need them and have removed them both.

Check and see if you have a Hibernation file. If you don't use hibernation features, the file can be removed.

Windows 7 ? Delete Hibernation File (hiberfil.sys)
To turn off or disable hibernation, type the following command at the prompt:
powercfg ?h off
This will disable hibernation and will remove the hiberfil.sys file from your system.Click to expand...

Monitor your memory usage and if you have more memory than you ever use. The Pagefile can be minimized. I currently have mine turned off, with 8GB installed. But caution though if you turn the Pagefile off, Windows will not be able to compensate for a shortage of memory and the Windows session will crash. While I am comfortable not using a Pagefile, I do not recommend others do the same until they are comfortable doing so. I recommend lowering the Pagefile size to 1GB, and if Windows needs more, the size will be automatically adjusted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-ultimate-updates-and-ssd-question.200043/
Relevancy 21.07%

I have an external hard disk of Samsung 650GB which got damaged when I was transferring some files to my pc through it. Now when I connect to any PC or Laptop it shows the safely remove icon but there is no letter assigned to it and also doesn't show up in My Computer though it can be seen in Disk Management.

I tried Mini Tool Partition Wizard but when I create a new partition it stops at 90%. I tried wiping out the partition but to no avail.

Is there any solution for it??? Please help.

A:Creating A New Partition Or Wiping A Partition On External Hard Disk Stuck

I would check the manufacturers site for a windows utility to low level format it. If you cannot find a utility to do that on manufacturer's site, then try this: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/ to wipe the drive. WARNING!! this will destroy all data on the selected hard drive!! be very careful when selecting a drive to wipe that you don't inadvertently select the wrong disk. After a low level format, unplug the drive, plug back in, windows should detect as a new, virgin, drive and it'll prompt you to format it. Format it and hopefully everything will be fine from here on out for you.

Post back, Hope this helps!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/creating-a-new-partition-or-wiping-a-partition-on-external-hard-disk-stuck.198811/
Relevancy 29.67%

The only other symptom is a screwed up mouse cursor which sometimes has a rainbow hue and looks like a vertical line with two arrows pointing up and down on each end respectively I forget the name of later. after i.e lags days 2 restart intevals / computer or a semingly My random the cursor icon the same one to change the size of program windows My computer lags a semingly random intevals i.e after restart / or 2 days later. when you hover of the edge corner Games take forever to load but will run smoothly once they are opened Sometimes it happens minutes after a complete shutdown and restart sometimes it takes a few days to reappear and may go away without any intervention at all I ran memtest overnight because of the slow loading of games and I removed all my Nvidia drivers and ran DriverSweeper then reinstalled just the graphics driver reason being the only significant change I made to my PC that I am aware of was I installed quot The Ge-force experience quot program from the Nvidia website I have had problems with Maleware before which were solved and this new problem didn t appear until months after nbsp

A:My computer lags a semingly random intevals i.e after restart / or 2 days later.

System restore to before the problem occurred? Only solution I can think of.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-lags-a-semingly-random-intevals-i-e-after-restart-or-2-days-later.196010/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey there I own a Samsung laptop the model is NP E C I left my computer on the couch rushed off to work and came home to find it on the ground I figured it fell off the couch which is about a foot off the ground When I turned it on the fan was making a loud noise and it was clearly damaged or out of alignment Instead of spending money taking it in I decided to have a look and popped the back off I took the fan off and cleaned it and then put it back However the hard drive was connected to the back cover by a little plug which went into the motherboard so I took that off in order to screw the fan back in place I put the cover back on and tried to put the hard drive chord thingy into stuck menu at Computer boot the motherboard again but it seemed a bit loose I then turned the computer Computer stuck at boot menu on after screwing everything back and now it only goes to the boot menu and no matter what I do whether it be changing the settings back to default Computer stuck at boot menu or trying to keep that plug stable nothing will get me to Windows Did I take something apart that was not supposed to come off nbsp

A:Computer stuck at boot menu

Seriously? No one has any advice? lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-stuck-at-boot-menu.194260/
Relevancy 25.8%

When I want to download (using IDM) the minitool partition wizard bootable iso file for partitioning from boot, I face the below message and can't do it.

I putted the message image below.
What's the problem please?

A:Problem when downloading Minitool partition wizard

Try to download it again from official website directly via: http://www.partitionwizard.com/products.html
Any more problem, you can simply contact the tech support via: [email protected]
Hope this can help you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-when-downloading-minitool-partition-wizard.192917/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi I purchased a seagate tb drive Installed it and using windows bit disc management I was able to see the drive in two partitions - tb and tb They were MBR at 2tb 4tb disk stuck Used a utility called EaseUS Partition Manager I converted the type to GPT It saw tb so I hit the quick format and for some reason it made it a tb partition I could not get back the remaining tb s Seagate s Discwizard previously was also able to see two partitions but now it only sees the tb and says there is nothing else and cannot fix the problem Tried to fix it using Minitool s Partition Wizard Windows Disc Manager doesn t seem to have a tool to address this problem - it only sees one partition at tb s Can t seem to go beyond the tb partition or get the rest of the tb s back in any form that I could see allocated or unallocated or Can someone direct me to a tool or method that could fix this I would ideally like to have one partition for the full tb s Thanks in advance nbsp

A:4tb disk stuck at 2tb

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408

If it is only seeing the 2 TB then it is back to being MBR.
I suggest deleting the entire partition and making sure it is GPT.
If this still does not resolve the issue I would return it as defective and try a new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/4tb-disk-stuck-at-2tb.192122/
Relevancy 23.65%

My ASUS EEE PC laptop keyboard has gone crazy. A few months ago I noticed that keys were getting stuck randomly, typing all Cs or colons or commas. I could usually clear this problem with the delete key and the problem would stop for a while during the session but it would eventually come back.

Then a few weeks later I notice that some of the keys would not work at all. Again this was random as some days certain keys wouldn't work and then other day they would start working again. Recently many of the keys completely stopped working.

A couple days ago eith one key either sticks or the whole keyboard won't work.

I have tried using canned air, popping keys off and cleaning them and even resetting the ribbon. I have now attached a USB keyboard and disabled the notebook keyboard and this is working but it is a bit of a hassle.

A:Keyboard keys are intermitantly stuck or not working

Perhaps I am jumping the gun on this one, but it sounds like this is a permanent hardware issue that will require either a new keyboard or mobo.

Have you tried going into device manager and completely uninstalling the drivers for the built in keyboard, then restarting?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-keys-are-intermitantly-stuck-or-not-working.155963/
Relevancy 24.08%

I upgraded my cpu to a 3GHz cor2duo E6850 from a E4500 2.2GHz
now my pc is stuck on bios logo screen.

When it powers with the new CPU I get one beep then it just sticks on bios logo screen, I left it for 20 minutes.

So I put my old CPU back in and updated bios then it stuck on logo screen witch ever CPU I used.
So then I tried to reset cmos, that's when it really crapped out, no beeps no display.
so then I took my cmos battery out and drained the board put my old processor back in and (thank god) it booted into windows.

Bad CPU?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Motherboard is a foxconn 45cmx (Bios has been updated)

A:New CPU PC stuck on BIOS logo

Anyone have any thoughts

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-cpu-pc-stuck-on-bios-logo.190674/
Relevancy 21.07%

At random times, the CTRL key on my laptop will act as if it is constantly pushed down. I am unable to type and it is annoying. I have turned off sticky keys, and have tried pushing both the left and right CTRL keys simultaneously to turn it off. The only solution is a reboot of the computer. Is there anyway I can fix this??

A:CTRL key "stuck" on laptop, Asus N55S series, Windows 7

It may be time to replace the keyboard. They're not expensive and relatively easy to replace

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ctrl-key-stuck-on-laptop-asus-n55s-series-windows-7.186720/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey all. I have a realy irritating problem regarding the resolution being stuck in all games video options. I have my pc set up through HDMI to my 28" JVC TV which works fine when on desktop. I have the resolution at full hd 1080p. however in everygame I go on I cannot change the resolution to any higher then 640x480 and 720x480.
Never used to have this problem before and not sure what has happend as it never realy gets used. I tried to switch from HDMI to VGA and it still happends.

I am using windows XP 32 bit and have installed all the latest drivers on my hd5770.

Any help would be greatly apprechiated as im completely stumped at this!
Thanks.

A:Resolution stuck at 640x480 and 720x480 in video options

Have you tried another video card?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/resolution-stuck-at-640x480-and-720x480-in-video-options.182495/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi -
My wife's laptop has a sticky "x" key. If it was a laptop then I could switch in another keyboard. The key works, a little, but is quite annoying. Are there standard tricks to fixing this?

Thanks so much.

A:Stuck "x" key

a HAMMER ? :sigh: Sorry for the cheap joke at your expense, but this happens all the time with laptops.
A roommate has the 'M' all over the place immediately upon logon (sometimes during messing up the pwd).

Plan on a trip to the PC Repair Shop

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-x-key.183955/
Relevancy 23.65%

I used to DBAN the other day the wipe my hard drive, completely forgetting that I needed a driver for it before I can install Windows. But I'm not particularly sure if I need the original driver, or if I can just use another program to partition the drive. I'm currently in the process of trying to get GParted to run on my bootable Linux (which is proving to be a real problem) so I wanted to know if it's even worth wasting my time if it's not what needs to be done. What's the best way to get a hard drive back into working order?

A:Wiped the hard drive, now I'm kinda stuck

Your question is vague and leaves open many assumptions. Let's try to clarify what you are asking...

Is this drive you wiped the main drive in your computer?!? Windows Xp and newer allows partitioning during the windows install process, so gparted may not be needed.
Why do you need Gparted?? Gparted should boot if you have a bootable linux disk with the application on it. Simply make sure the CD rom is the first in the boot order and it should boot to the disk.
The best way to get a drive back in working order is the format it. I recommend NTFS if it's windows, HFS+ if it's a Mac, and let linux partition however it wants to - different flavors of linux will partition & format as they see fit.

if you need a drive to install windows, generally the manufacturer has the necessary drivers on their web site to download to a floppy or a usb key & then during the install of windows it will prompt you to put in the "3rd party RAID or Controller drivers"

Hope this helps, please reply so we can help you out further.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wiped-the-hard-drive-now-im-kinda-stuck.184396/
Relevancy 30.96%

Apperantly this is probably some problem from our router which the company gave us apperantly its Outdated but if it was wouldnt it been doing this ages ago so it couldnt be malware because I scanned the whole system and the problems I had I deleted them all but can really problems in the company cause 24/7 high ping and bad internet

A:High ping for three days

You will probably get more help if you give more information.

Right now, this is about it:

In computer gaming, a ping, also known as a high ping or low ping, is a measurement of how fast the connection to the game server the player has. For example, a player with a low 50 ping is going to have a better game experience than a player with a high 250 ping. To help with server response times some game servers may only accept users who have a low ping.Click to expand...

Are you referring to gaming?
What is you 'high ping' number?
There can be a bottleneck between the router and the ISP, outside of your network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/high-ping-for-three-days.184410/
Relevancy 24.51%

I've been having this problem for the past week.
In CPU-Z the core speed , bus speed , HT link are ALL on very low settings. PC feels very sluggish
I've resetted the BIOS , disabled AMD C&Q , I dont know what to do anymore.

I've tried stressing the CPU but the max core speed I seen was 300-350 mhz on core speed from CPU-Z stressing with prime 95.

Thinking about RMA'ing this MOBO
Any ideas ?
Screenshot below from Cpu-z CPU tab & Memory tab

my specs:
MSI 790xt-g45
4 gb ddr2 g. skill 1066
msi 7870 gpu
500 gb hdd

A:X4 965 CPU stuck at 100MHz

The DRAM frequency looks low. Did you RMA the motherboard?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/x4-965-cpu-stuck-at-100mhz.183019/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi, I'm wondering whether this RAM: Kingston KHX1600C9D3

Will work with this motherboard: AsRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard

I'd greatly greatly appreciate any help!

A:Will this RAM work with this motherboard? I'm completely stuck?

Yes, that is DDR3-1600 RAM.

That motherboard accepts a maximum of 32GB using up to four sticks of DDR3 2100(OC)/1866*/1800*/1600*/1333/1066/800 non-ECC, un-buffered RAM.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-this-ram-work-with-this-motherboard-im-completely-stuck.181877/
Relevancy 26.66%

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 because of most of my configs didnt work for some programs and because of computer speed. Before the reinstall I got 1.8mb/sec on downloads, now I get 10-30kb/secs

Any problems?

A:Slow downloading

1st: Check your Ethernet cable, make sure it's terminated on both ends correctly - make sure it's ends are tight and there is nothing physically wrong with it. If it doubt replace it.
2nd: perhaps the network card is failing, swap it or install a pci one & see if there is a difference.

Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-downloading.181224/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hey guys im new to this website ma prob is that since the last - weeks im xperiancing high ping I used to get - ping but now i get - ping During the morning i get - ping but the rest of the day it rises I have a BSNL plan with a D-Link modem ma bsnl CoD4.. few in the days.. ping unusual problem last modem iz not working so i bought a new one those bsnl people didn t fix it I had no prob when i used to play with it but now i get kicked from servers also changing the modem doesnot have to do anythign with it as i started playing big games when i got a new pc amp i changed the moden when i bought the PC My system spec s Intel Core i Intel High Defination Graphics Familly Realtek HD audio drivers Ghz Gb Ram Gb harddrive O also i get KBps speed for the first Gb that CoD4.. ping unusual problem in the last few days.. i download All ma drivers are up-to date PLz help me guys nbsp

A:CoD4.. ping unusual problem in the last few days..

chance connection

ok now first of all bsnl modem connection sucks.

every now and then there is some problem in the servers. But due to its high speeds we all take one. Now you could encrypt some data but what i would prefer is taking a cheap pendrive internet connection and use it only to play games and surf do not dowload as it is costly.

And you are not the only one experiencing it. I love to play gta sa mp. and my ping goes upto 1000 and needless to say i get kicked.
say thq if iwas useful

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cod4-ping-unusual-problem-in-the-last-few-days.179367/
Relevancy 23.65%

A friend of mines samsung laptop keyboard is having a problem with the z key. when you open word or log on to the computer it acts like it is stuck and just types out the letter continuously but when you press the key physically nothing happens please help

A:Laptop keyboard key acting like its stuck but unresponsive when pressed

Sounds like it could be a bad switch on the letter Z.
Read these before "experimenting". I just googled "dell laptop keyboard and key sticks"
http://askville.amazon.com/unstick-key-laptop-keyboard/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2278570
http://www.ehow.com/how_2107252_fix-sticking-laptop-keys.html
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1077151.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keyboard-key-acting-like-its-stuck-but-unresponsive-when-pressed.175761/
Relevancy 30.1%

So the Chaintech VNF3-250 on my secondary computer finally died after 7 or 8 years. But the other parts still work, so I'm hoping I can replace the mobo without having to replace everything attached to it.

All the places I've looked seem to have no name brands, or no name sellers, or are refurbished, or just plain out of stock forever.

A:Any place to find a decent Socket 754 AGP mobo these days?

TheBladeRoden said:

So the Chaintech VNF3-250 on my secondary computer finally died after 7 or 8 years. But the other parts still work, so I'm hoping I can replace the mobo without having to replace everything attached to it.

All the places I've looked seem to have no name brands, or no name sellers, or are refurbished, or just plain out of stock forever.Click to expand...

Should be able to find them at Geeks or Ebay. You will most likely find refurbished or used ones though!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-place-to-find-a-decent-socket-754-agp-mobo-these-days.174718/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi,

I have something visible on the screen which I can best describe as pixels which brightness is slightly more than the rest of the screen.

I can't say it is dead pixel, because the color changes appropriately to what is viewed making it difficult to spot. So it isn't color stuck, but more like brigtness stuck.

I think the correct term is brightness burnout or something.

Anyway is there a way to fix these? I know there are a couple of pixel testing software ad some say they repair them. Do these software actually repair them or hide them? How could a software fix something like stuck pixels?

Regards

Mike

A:How to fix stuck pixels on PC screen?

Theres a few methods i have read about.

Putting a SMALL amount of presure on the offending pixel with your finger.

Using a video like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GwrHzjgFtw ( Seizure warning, contains strobing)

Never had a dead pixel so no idea if any of these actually work, but the you tube comments seem hopefull.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-fix-stuck-pixels-on-pc-screen.173666/
Relevancy 24.51%

htt p w ww techspot com vb topic html What was the fix please I ve had the same problem with the same mobo I wish I could have multiplier on CPU stuck 4x sent a PM or even posted on the thread but I can t send him a PM because I have no post count and I can t post in the thread since it got locked First home-built computer and it was working fine I overclocked it to was working fine for a bit then crashed brought it back down to figured that d be safe worked fine for a bit and then suddenly in game it crashed on me Ever since then no luck it s stuck on x multiplier and mhz and I can t figure it out I m fine with just default but this is of what default is supposed to be cpu Phenom II X CPU stuck on 4x multiplier Black Edition Deneb GHz mobo GIGABYTE GA- XA-UD AM AMD X Help please edit wow I can t even post a link to that thread Lame I m just trying to get some help nbsp

A:CPU stuck on 4x multiplier

Umm, basically the CPU fan wasn't spinning because ... umm ... I forgot to plug it in. The CPU throttled itself, which was why the multiplier was stuck at X4. I doubt that was your problem, but hope this helps anyway....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-stuck-on-4x-multiplier.172319/
Relevancy 24.51%

So, I got a new LCD TV/monitor and it had a stuck pixel that was red set it back and got one with a blue stuck pixel this time. How do I fix this? I've tried several methods and none of them seem to work and I'm get frustrated.

Tried rubbing it through a cloth, tapping it with a pencil through a cloth, tried the color flasher things that claim to fix it and nothing. Is there a definitive method to fixing this?

A:How to fix a stuck pixel

Learn to ignore it, or return it if they have a "1 dead pixel" return policy. Some have a 3-5 minimum dead pixels policy before they will accept an RMA. IIR.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-fix-a-stuck-pixel.169220/
Relevancy 24.08%

I ve had this computer for about five years give or take the only thing different on it from factory is a new graphics card or two The current graphics stuck in Monitor standby card I ve had for almost a year or so My problem is suddenly Monitor stuck in standby out of nowhere no changes that I can think of my monitor started giving me issues One day when powering Monitor stuck in standby on my screen would turn on flash a normal computer start-up process and then go back to sleep-mode standby the power button is usually blue but orange during power save Sometimes like now I can get it to turn on and stay on but it takes a huge fight on my behalf I usually open something like control panel while pushing the on then off button repetitively every five seconds once it blackouts to get it to decide to stay on I haven t been able to figure out what makes it stay on but it is getting quite irritating If it goes into sleep mode the screen starts giving me issues again I have checked my video card driver I manually installed the latest from the Nvidia website Still having issues Here is what I m working with Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium Build Service Pack vistasp gdr - System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model Dell DXP BIOS Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version Processor Intel R Core TM CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Card name NVIDIA GeForce GTS Monitor Dell SE WFP Digital nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-stuck-in-standby.169022/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi guys i just want to ask some of you people that are good in computers.
I got a dell Xps 15 like a week ago.
When i tryed downloading WoW on it the downloading rates would go to about 900kbs and then slowly drop it less then one, and the cycle kept going.
Also im trying to download starcraft and im not getting the same 900kbs that i got on WoW,im only getting 200-300kbs.

Is this because of my computer or my internet ?
Sorry that im a computer noob
Thanks in advance
-omegarocks

A:Downloading rates dropping

who is your ISP? frequently they will apply a QoS to specific ports to preserve bandwidth for other users - - -

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/downloading-rates-dropping.168621/
Relevancy 23.65%

Let me first start off by saying I have limited knowledge on PCs.

I was browsing the internet when out of nowhere it started acting up. McAfee popped up in the bottom of the screen and my laptop began lagging pretty bad. Well it got stuck at that point with absolutely no response to any commands so I powered it off. When attempting to power back on, it loaded about 2/3 of the way on the welcome screen, and then froze at that point. It repeatedly does this. Upon hitting ESC, it says that my system BIOS are shadowed and my video BIOS are shadowed. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

A:Dell Studio 15 laptop stuck at welcome screen

Can you get into the Windows Safe Mode, by pressing F8 repeatedly when the computer is starting up?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-studio-15-laptop-stuck-at-welcome-screen.168288/
Relevancy 24.08%

I've tried installing numerous operating systems including:
Fedora 14 (x86 and 64 bit)
Ubuntu 9.10 (x86 and 64 bit)
Windows 7 (64 bit)

the issue is the box stops at a black screen with a blinking cursor (linux) or the windows 7 loading screen depending on OS.

my parts are as follows:
MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX
ASUS GeForce GTX 460

The memory passes memtest86+ after 4 hours

I cant seem to isolate the problem down to one part
any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated
i have a hunch that its the power supply not being able to handle everything but cant seem to verify

A:Stuck at black screen during install

I would try removing as many non-essential things from the machine to start with (sound cards, maybe half your RAM, USB devices other than kb+mouse, firewire devices, etc.) Also, you might want to check your bios to see if there's a special setting for memory while installing an OS. I doubt your problem is your powersupply if you can run for 4 hours on a memtest and I doubt it's really the mem if you're not getting any failures. Last thing I'd try is swapping out a video card - I did have an issue once where I'd freeze and couldn't believe it was the video card causing it till I popped that card into another machine and the same thing happened.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-at-black-screen-during-install.166272/
Relevancy 22.36%

i have a pc that i was trying to update when i updated the drivers everything was fine until it rebooted when it rebooted the screen went to sleep mode i have tried another monitor but still the same thing is there anyway i can put the hd in to another pc for it to work so i can maybe change what i can to get it to read or atleast see on the other pc?

A:No monitor after updates?

You could hook your drive up to another PC and try to boot from it but I doubt it will be any different. Sounds like you have downloaded a bad driver.

Can you get it to boot in safe mode and then use system restore to take it back to before you installed the driver.

What driver was it?

What OS are you using?

Do you have the OS disc?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-monitor-after-updates.165818/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have T Mobile broadband which allows me to use mb per day which is enough for what I use the internet for However something is downloading between mb mb every week or so when I log on I have checked Macfee and Windows data of Unexplained downloading update and both are set not to download any updates automatically and I have checked the remaining software on my PC but can t find anything else which is downloading Unexplained downloading of data The Task Manager doesn t show me anything either Is there anything included in Windows Home edition which downloads data that I m unware of It would be great to indentify what is downloading this data since my daily limit is only mb and afterwards I am getting locked out as I have downloaded too much Is there an option in Windows Home edition which allows me to see what is being downloaded and from where or any software which will do this Your help is much appreciated nbsp

A:Unexplained downloading of data

Your T-mobile provider may be able to identify this phantom down loader for you. There are many Windows 7 updates initially, including Service Pack 1. This would be an issue for the firewall and not the antivirus program

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unexplained-downloading-of-data.164370/
Relevancy 24.08%

I just bought a new Samsung monitor and it has 1 stuck pixel. I tried applying pressure to it and it didn't do anything.

A:Stuck red pixel on Samsung monitor

Did you apply pressure during a full power on/off cycle?
I don't know if that still works, It's been years since I have tried it. If captaincranky finds this thread, He probably knows the best remedy or things to try....he's a bit of a monitor expert.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-red-pixel-on-samsung-monitor.161799/
Relevancy 23.65%

My friend's computer (which I'm using) is stuck at loading screen. It's a Toshiba Satellite 64-bit with Windows Vista. I told him to format but he refuses because he doesn't want to lose stuff he has.

I am currently on the Safe Mode with Networking, so anything you need me to do I can do from here, except install programs.

I tried to do a virus scan with avast!, but the computer shut down. Tried again, and it shut down again. It shut down when it was about 70% done, and it had found 18 infected files. I did another scan, but this time I stopped it when it had 11 infected files and moved them to chest. And now when I do the scan it shuts down on 4%.

Can this be the cause of my problem? Or is it another thing? Solutions?

A:Computer stuck at loading screen (Windows Vista)

Can this be the cause of my problem?Click to expand...

Yup. Start a new thread in the Malware forum on this site and the experts will help you to clean it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-stuck-at-loading-screen-windows-vista.162967/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi i just recently installed a E8400 and i check on CPU-Z and the clock is stuck at 2ghz.

I look online and it tells me to turn off speed step but in my bios there is no option to do so.

My mobo is a 0RY007 from dell.

A:E8400 clock stuck at 2GHz in CPU-Z

There is no need to turn off speedstep.
Put your CPU under load, there is probably nothing wrong.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/e8400-clock-stuck-at-2ghz-in-cpu-z.160346/
Relevancy 30.1%

This problem isn t specifically audio related but I posted it here because it s the thing that is affected that bothers me most I suspect all these problems are a Audio days fine and when ago recording everything was few crackles playback related Mods sorry if this is more suitable for another forum Basically at one time my audio playback and recording would skip crack and pop but then I realised that I was still using my old sound-card instead of the Toneport UX which is what I use now After I made that switch Audio playback and recording crackles when everything was fine a few days ago there were no more skips cracks or pops during playback or recording but now there are and I m using the UX It started again about days ago and I have no idea why However I think these cracks and pops come from spikes in the CPU because if I don t do anything to significantly use CPU like open a new program or change windows the cracks are more infrequent But again this never happened before so I don t know why it is now Also since around days ago I ve been experiencing the taskbar and window frames changing to Classic of their own accord After an indefinite period of time the taskbar will flash and change into Classic or some mangled hybrid of XP and Classic As soon as it does that in Sounds amp Audio Devices every option gets greyed out and no sound card can be or is selected when before this everything would say UX and would work The only way to fix it is to restart but then it s just a matter of time before it happens again This has happened before and I suspected it was due to having Malwarebyte s Anti-Malware installed As odd as it sounds it would happen a lot more frequently when I had that installed and would actually incite it when I did a scan sometimes crashing the computer halfway through Since uninstalling it it happens a lot less frequently but still does Another interesting fact is that the audio playback actually wasn t crackling when this sound options and taskbar thing was happening but it would stop me from hearing what I was recording I use Foobar for playing audio and it must have independent sound options or something because it s the only thing I can play audio through when this happens The only thing I ve done differently since before the cracks and pops weren t happening is restore my BIOS to default settings and reinstall the UX sound-drivers The inciting incident was when my computer froze and wouldn t let me click anything but the mouse was moving around freely I pressed the restart button but it got stuck in the start-up telling me to select the correct boot device I went into setup and it was only seeing my third slave hard-drive and disk-drive but neither second slave or master drive with Windows on so it couldn t boot Using my other computer I ran a web search on how to fix it and one guy said restore BIOS to default settings so that s why I did that It didn t fix it but after about forty minutes I turned it back on just out of curiosity and everything loaded up fine until the login screen where it crashed twice before working the third time and allowing me to use my computer as normal My educated guess was that it was overheating and going temporarily insane before cooling down Like sunstroke ish Since then I ve noticed that my audio playback and recording are being interrupted by the pops and clicks Okay now here s another problem that s probably associated with all of this A few months ago my computer would randomly freeze up and not like when it crashes and the mouse moves and you can get to Task Manager etc I mean actually stop altogether The mouse wouldn t move and even the little light that tells you whether NumLock is on or off wouldn t change when I pressed NumLock The screen would remain on whatever was last on it and there was no significant pitch change or strenuous sounds coming from the hard-drive or anything in the computer It was like it stopped and wasn t even aware of it I eventually took a vac... Read more

A:Audio playback and recording crackles when everything was fine a few days ago

What motherboard do you have? Check if the default BIOS have the onboard sound enabled, and if so, disable it. (assuming you have onboard audio).

If you're worried about heat being a problem, install CoreTemp and enable logging. Then if your computer crashes again, you can go back and check the logs and see if there was some kind of heat spike when it crashed. If removing dust made it run better, heat could be an issue.

I also see that your audio card is USB. I couldn't see if it has a power adapter on their web site. If it does not, maybe you have a problem with it getting enough power.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/audio-playback-and-recording-crackles-when-everything-was-fine-a-few-days-ago.159188/
Relevancy 23.65%

The speakers won't work only if I plug something into the headphone jack will sounds come out.

A:Asus G51VX-RX05 stuck in headphones mode

the line may be muted... you should go into your sound card's control panel and check.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-g51vx-rx05-stuck-in-headphones-mode.130842/
Relevancy 21.93%

well, i've just reinstalled windows xp on my computer, and i have no sound what so ever, i have tried updating my drivers and that hasnt worked, ive also tried things like going to the device manager and disabling, re-enabling them and that hasnt worked, ive tried looking into the bios, and the hd audio is set to automatic can anyone help please?

and before anyone asks, yes the speakers are plugged in and yes they do work, they were fine before re-installing windows.

my sound is onboard and i own a biostar mcp6pb m2+ motherboard

TIA.

A:No sound after trying many fixes inc. driver updates

No yellow marks in the Device Manager ?

Speaker icon showing in the Quick Launch ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-after-trying-many-fixes-inc-driver-updates.155780/
Relevancy 22.36%

Ok so i sent out my girls laptop about 3 months ago, because the motherboard and keyboard went bad. They said oh it will take 2 weeks to get back out to you.... Anyway they replaced the keyboard and the motherboard, and everything works great now. But there is a tiny slide switch button on the left hand side for a wireless connection that will go left or right. It is stuck and wont go right or left. So i pushed it a little to hard and the button popped off. How can i fix this... Should i unscrew the bottom of the laptop and try to fix the switch? I'm def not sending it back out again to wait another 3 months.

Computer itself is a gateway t series laptop.

A:Tiny slide switch button on the left hand side of my girls laptop is stuck?

Joe, it would help to have the model number of this Gateway T Series.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tiny-slide-switch-button-on-the-left-hand-side-of-my-girls-laptop-is-stuck.155371/
Relevancy 30.53%

I run dual monitors on my computer when i connect the second one it works great for a couple of days and then goes black i cant get it back on the power buttons light does not come on if someone has a suggestion on anything to try that would be great. It is a Samsung if that helps at all.

A:Monitor goes black after a couple days of use

I have had issues with monitor power cause unlike the vga/dvi connector there is no screw holders to hold the power cord in. And since lcd monitors typically plug upwards into the back they can come loose. I actually had a single lcd that stopped working and all I did was slide it a little from one position on the table to another (it wasn't on at the time). It was days before I realized the power cord was in far enough to light the little green power light, but not enough to power the screen. Once I pushed it all the way back up, it worked fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-goes-black-after-a-couple-days-of-use.155000/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello everyone,

I am new here and hlping that someone could please help me with my problem. I have a acer aspire 5810tz , I was running windows vista but upgraded to windows 7 my internal microphone stop working. I downloaded the drivers for the realtek microphone and restarted my computer. Well the microphone works but the internet will not. I have a data card that I used thru alltel to get online. If I remove the realtek driver that I added my internet goes back to working. I am not understanding what I am doing wrong. I went to acer and that is where I am doing loading the drivers from so I dont think I have the wrong drivers. Could someone please help me with this problem.

A:Downloading drivers and Internet not working

That is a common problem with ACER... VISTA Drivers and Windows 7 drivers are different, and they generally do not make updated drivers for machines designed for VISTA and converted to Windows 7

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/downloading-drivers-and-internet-not-working.154704/
Relevancy 30.53%

The current sound card I have, is still my old Audigy 2 ZS. It is coupled to a pair of Logitech Z-5500's.

The sound that comes out of this setup is extremely good for what it is in my opinion. I am building a new PC shortly, and I am just wondering, is creative still at the top for sound quality with there cards these days?

My main use is probably 80% music, and the other 20% being gaming/movies. I want the highest sound quality possible, even if I have to spend $200 on a sound card, I am willing. When your an audiophile, you can't stand cheap sound.

A:Who rules sound quality these days?

Most people I know swear by HT | OMEGA. Most of my system builds/upgrades usually incorporate on of their cards or Asus' Xonar if the HT's are unavailable (or if a low profile card is required).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/who-rules-sound-quality-these-days.152907/
Relevancy 23.65%

I am trying to fix a gateway laptop that keeps getting stuck at the xp title screen. I did a restore that saves the data files and it went through the entire process only to be stuck at the xp title screen again. Was hoping to be able to save some of the old data files but thats not looking too likely. This is a last ditch effort before I have to do a reformat of the drive and load it all up again. Hoping for any suggestions that could be a work around.

Thanks in advance

A:Gateway laptop stuck at XP title screen

Without more information we are kind of shooting in the dark.

And I may not be the one to carry you through to solution...
(I only have limited exposure to Win7 so far.)

Based on experience with other OS...
Could be Hardware (HD most likely, though Ram is not impossible)
Have you tried HD diagnostics? WD offers a diagnostic program for their drives.
We regularly have referred people to Memtest for Ram testing... not sure of use with Win7.
There may be other utils if Memtest is not compatible.

Both Memtest and WD's drive util run outside of Windows, so boot failure is not a problem.

Another way this kind of problem can result (with XP for example) is with driver conflicts, or with application conflicts, including security software. (For example, a firewall might cause a hang at boot, but the next reboot, no problem... your problem sounds different; but without more information it is hard to tell.)

Again... I am not familiar enough with Win7... someone with Win7 experience will need to weigh in.

A Product like Apricorn will help you rescue your data, so that if you need to to a system restore, you will not have lost your data.

Another possible option is to boot to "Safe Mode"; if you can, then this will help resolve the driver or application conflict causing the problem.

See here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

I hope this gives you a start.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gateway-laptop-stuck-at-xp-title-screen.152168/
Relevancy 24.08%

So I got an Alienware laptop. Joyously, I start up Serious Sam, only to see stuck pixels everywhere. I try another game. Same thing. Completely black screen? Same. The pixels are in diagonal rows. There are about eight columns, some of them blinking on and off. Some additional columns appear and disappear at random. In the columns, the pixels are spaced very sparsely. Every stuck pixel will have one more spaced ~75 pixels up and ~75 pixels right. They are green on a black background.

My video card is a GTS 260. My OS is Windows 7 64-bit. I've had this laptop for a little over a week. Anyone ever heard of this before?

A:Stuck pixel grid on a new laptop

It's new and under warranty. I would take or send it back for replacement under warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-pixel-grid-on-a-new-laptop.150167/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi everybody I d like some advice please I seem to have three basic choices on taking boxcarloads of VHS and turning them digital here at home all because of the older but reliable USB video capture device that I ve got whose vendor is gone and for which I haven t found Vista or Win drivers As this is not the only piece of XP software I 7? Stuck windows to old XP capture with boot or dual device, VXP video need to keep going Stuck with old XP video capture device, to VXP or dual boot windows 7? I either rebuild another XP machine to run these on and file share on my LAN take either Stuck with old XP video capture device, to VXP or dual boot windows 7? of two reasonably new laptops running Windows and teach them to run XP Virtual Mode again with the laptops but make them dual bootable with an XP partition My old HP Media Center machine had Gb RAM on it and the transfers worked fine but when it burned up its d hard drive drove it in to SMART death I said enough with it I tried running it on another old XP machine that only has MB RAM on it and I have unacceptable frame drop on the captures did not have this on the GB machine prior to its toasting itself into oblivion So I need bigger machine and memory But I have two laptops a Dell Studio bit Win system with GB and a Sony Viao bit with GB I don t have any idea how much of a memory hog the virtual machine mode is and I don t know if either laptop has the HAL built in to it but it seems this is no longer required for it to run VXP but it may affect performance I see the tradeoffs as follows Probably straightforward but it does become yet another computer to maintain XP Virtual mode does make file transfers between systems easy its USB management seems to suggest that the only XP drivers needed are what I d load for the device s I need to carry on using and it seems easy to install but what s the processor and memory overhead I ll experience Drivers I ve read posts in the Mobile Computing forum that some folks have had real fits trying to find XP drivers for VISTA generation laptops I haven t looked yet Any thoughts advice experience greatly appreciated Any other traps I need to look at And yes there is option spend bucks or so and buy a current generation video capture USB device that comes with windows drivers if I could find one with a time base corrector in it for that price I just might Thanks nbsp

A:Stuck with old XP video capture device, to VXP or dual boot windows 7?

Shop for the video capture device in option 4 and see if you can find one to your liking. If you can't find one, you still have options 1-3.

Option 5: Stick a new hard drive in the old Hp media center PC. They aren't very expensive these days.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-with-old-xp-video-capture-device-to-vxp-or-dual-boot-windows-7.147069/
Relevancy 21.07%

I ve troubleshooted my laptop for the past few days and finally realized why typing on it has been so frustrating My laptop seems to be spamming the home key so it makes it impossible to type My key isn t physically stuck either It presses down fine etc etc I ve tried taking off the key and cleaning it i took apart of the laptop and took off the keyboard and dusted it off with a tissue It seems that when i hold down my function key it all types well but i can t do that obviously Things to note i have an HP and a chopped version of XP plan on buying windows too because updating drivers without being able to run windows update is a pain thanks I m sure theres more you guys need to know but thats all i can think of Update not sure why or how but it seems that WoW is causing the issue as soon as I enter the game i start experiencing the spam of my home key and when i exit everything is perfectly fine Still might take my keyboard off again and clean update seems keyboard "stuck" Laptop key home like holding down function key helps really stuck on what this could be any advice appreciated nbsp

A:Laptop keyboard home key "stuck"

If it only happens in WoW, then it's obviously not a hardware problem.
Sounds like it may be some sort of malware that runs a script to lock the Home key on when WoW is loaded.
Assuming you had run WoW on this computer without any problems in the past,
I'd follow the steps outlined on the sticky for the Virus and Malware Removal forum
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keyboard-home-key-stuck.146132/
Relevancy 24.08%

Is there something wrong with it?

A:Temp1 (Speedfan) is stuck at 85 degrees C

Speedfan reports a ton of temps, not all of them are valid. If it never changes I wouldn't be concerned about it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/temp1-speedfan-is-stuck-at-85-degrees-c.145195/
Relevancy 24.08%

HP DV5-1233SE won't past the HP logo screen

Guys,

This is my 2nd time having issue with this laptop where it will not boot and just stuck at the hp logo screen. The 1st time it happened about 8 months ago and it was still under warranty so HP fixed it by replacing the system board and ram. This time it is out of warranty and looks like the same problem. Has anyone encounter the same issue? Can anyone share how you guys fixed it without having to send it to HP?

I am pretty technical guy so I should be able to fix it once I know what is the cause of this problem. I am suspecting it is the motherboard as i could not even get to the BIOS. I tested the ram and harddisk seem to be working by switching them to my friend's hp laptop.

Please, please, assistance is needed here.....Thanks!!

A:HP DV5-1233SE stuck at HP logo and will not boot

what a pity

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv5-1233se-stuck-at-hp-logo-and-will-not-boot.143882/
Relevancy 24.08%

Ok not sure how or why this happened but I have tried removing the controller from the device manager and rebooting but it still shows up in PIO mode.

Transfers etc are slow obviously so I would like to fix this

I have also tried a program that resets ATA devices to DMA mode

I had this HDD in another computer without a problem so I am not sure why I am having this problem at all..

Its is a 1.5 TB Seagate HDD if that matters at all

MB is a P4M800 and I am running Windows XP Pro 32bit SP3

A:SATA drive stuck in PIO mode

Repair XP, but if you don't have the XP SP3 CD then you would need to blow out the OS and re-install the OS. Once corrupt no turning back. You could try to re-install SP3 but I think you would be better off re-installing the OS to get it where it should be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drive-stuck-in-pio-mode.144968/
Relevancy 22.36%

Since I appear to be ignorant and incapable of locating the proper bios settings and/or drivers to update, I was hoping someone here could help me do so, and hopefully I am providing all the accurate information below:

OS Name - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version - 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer - Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer - Compaq Presario 06
System Model - DA236A-ABA 6420NX NA910
System Type - X86-based PC
Processor - x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1798 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date - Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.01, 12/10/2002
SMBIOS Version - 2.2

Edit: If I am not in the proper forum and need to be moved to one such as Device Drivers, then I apologize and hope this thread will be moved.

A:Bios and system updates

whats the problem your having. if it ant broke dont fix it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-and-system-updates.144896/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello,
Just recently my internet stopped working properly using IE and Firefox. It runs only little slower than normal until i start to download something, like an attachment, or I try watching a video (youtube, netflix...) then my computer slows down immensely. When i'm downloading the attachment or doing a speedtest i watch the download start at 400+ kbps and rapidly decline to 15-30kbps. And then my whole internet is slowed down. I already went through the 8 step guide getting rid of viruses and malware in another forum and was cleared to repost my issue in another area. I have tried turning the modem off and unplugging it for awhile. I have a wireless router, but I tried plugging the modem directly into the computer and still had the same issue. I also tried downloading a demo on my PS3 and found that the same thing is happening there as well. Please help!!

A:When i start downloading my connection dies

Have you talked to your ISP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/when-i-start-downloading-my-connection-dies.144267/
Relevancy 30.96%

I'm only a little bit computer literate. I've never really put forth any time to studying these things. I pretty much learn by troubleshooting problems as they appear. Anyway...

I was having computer issues, ran a hdd diagnostic, reallocated sector count below theshold. From what I gather that means the hdd is pretty much done for. No biggie, I'll get a new HDD. But before I pack the old one into a box, I want to write zeros through the drive. I've got everything off it I need and don't want to risk somebody else getting something off it I don't want them having.

I'm using WD's diagnostic tool and it's estimating that it will take 43 hours to do a full erase. I did a quick erase and it took less than 10 minutes. Is that normal?

A:Should it take 2 days to write zeros to HDD?

Take the HDD apart, that's always fun to do. When your done messing with take a hammer to the platter

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-it-take-2-days-to-write-zeros-to-hdd.143593/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a g15 keyboard, older style (blue LED and flip up screen), that many of the keys are stuck. Awhile back, I took all the keys off to clean the entire keyboard. After cleaning I put all the keys back on with not much hassle. Ever since then, I notice that many of the G-keys on the left are stuck.( really hard to press down and will not come up after pressing) Is there a way to fix this so it will work better? I checked the keys and there is nothing in the way. The keys are also in the right position. Should I apply a little amount of light oil to help it? What do you recommend?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/g15-keyboard-keys-stuck-any-suggestions.143398/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have an older xp computer that hasn't given me a lot of problems until recently. It appears that the "5" key is stuck. Any where I click is immediately filled with number 5's. I have connected two other keyboards and it still happens. I can't even log-in because the password box is filled up with "5"s. Is something else fried?

Thanks
D

A:Stuck key?

What kind of keyboard, PS2 or USB?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-key.142023/
Relevancy 24.51%

My 5 year old is rather the pc wiz and he has his own computer that has games and such on it for him. What I need help with is his cursor will only move up and down in the middle of his screen and I don't know how he did that and what to do to fix it. This is the 2nd pc that he has done this to, is it a setting that he played with that he shouldn't have. Can someone please help me fix it for him.

A:My cursor is stuck

What does he use to control the cursor, a standard or wireless mouse or a trackball?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-cursor-is-stuck.140943/
Relevancy 22.36%

MyRealtek High Definition Audio driver is version 5.10.0.5730 dated 10.13.08. Is there an update for this and can anyone tell me where I can download it free i.e. without driver robot or driver detective.
I dont have any particular problem with my current driver and Im aware of the phrase 'if it aint broke dont fix it'. I just want to know if there is something better out there.
Additionally, if there is an update should I uninstall the old driver before installation or just install over the old one ?
I have looked at the page for driver updates on this site but I cant work out which is the correct one for my audio card.
Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-driver-updates.139904/
Relevancy 23.65%

I've read somewhere that the problem could be the synaptics (?) drivers, but how can I do anything about them when I cannot move the mouse?

I tried a separate mouse in the USB key, but that didn't even appear to register.

Help?!? I'm a computer user of limited ability, and thoroughly frustrated!

Thanks

A:My mouse freezes after login (Asus x61s) and then I'm stuck

Ok, what seems to me to be the problem is the system is having an issue with recognizing USB devices. This might be a problem either with your physical USB ports, or with Windows. Your USB ports might have been damaged, or Windows is having an issue recognizing USB devices once it loads up. Windows is weird in that it loads up all the device drivers and recognizes USB stuff as it starts up and sometimes a USB device that's plugged in before it books will make it go screwy. I've had a similar issue once before.

First of all, what I'd like you to do is unplug the mouse and any other unimportant USB device you have. USB keyboard, USB mouse, USB flash drive, USB external drive....whatever. If it doesn't need to be on there, take it out.

Start up the computer. Once it loads up Windows, try plugging the keyboard and mouse back in. What should happen is Windows, having already loaded the USB drivers and such, will see you plugging in the USB devices again and it will try to detect what they are and get the necessary drivers to make them work.

After you've tried this, let me know what's happening. If it isn't fixed, then there's something even worse that's wrong with Windows or your USB ports.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-mouse-freezes-after-login-asus-x61s-and-then-im-stuck.139281/
Relevancy 24.08%

My pc Cyberpower i Andromeda Infinity Vista seems At Boot Loop Stuck In Up to be stuck in some sort of loop at start up Since rebooting my pc this afternoon the following happens Starts with the normal small message NVIDIA Geforce etc Can never catch what it says Its too quick and is partially obscured by a monitor pop up Which is normal Also mentions VGA bios Then a new black screen with Award Bootblock V Copyright c Award Software inc Scanning Bios image in hard drive Whilst also attempting to access the DVD drive green light is on Then it restarts Stuck In Loop At Boot Up and goes through the process again This goes on until i hold down the power button and turn it off which makes me cringe Checked inside the casing and everything s Stuck In Loop At Boot Up still connected as far as i can tell Been searching around and apparently this seems to be something to do with the BIOS and is a common problem with GIGABYTE motherboards which i have Sorry if the info I m giving is a bit vague but this is totally new to me Posted on the Cyberpower forums but so far no replies Any ideas nbsp

A:Stuck In Loop At Boot Up

Turn off automatically reboot on error in Control Panel, System, Advanced Options. You probably have a hardware driver gone wrong

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-in-loop-at-boot-up.138101/
Relevancy 30.53%

Not my problem, but one I have noticed many, many times lately on these pages. So many people report 'unable to boot from install CD' or DVD, despite having the boot order correct. Can some experienced repair technician throw light on what is going on - are CD/DVD devices becoming quite quickly unable to support booting?

And what may be the cause? Is there some change in recent motherboards, is XP/Vista/Win7 sending out updates which interfere with motherboard drivers? Do devices simply fail quite quicky these days? .... or what?

A:Do many CD/DVD drives fail to support boot these days?

No

Here's what the issues have been:

Written disc (copied) that is not being picked up by the standard laptop CD/DVD Drive (normal I find)
Faulty CD/DVD Drive, that can read in Windows, but cannot boot BootCDs (common I find)
Users not selecting either "press any key to boot from CD" or not selecting the Fn key that changes to CD boot (not exactly Bios config)
Scratched or dirty discs (and CD/DVD Drives)
Incorrect jumper setting (or cabling) on older ATA (IDE Connected) CD/DVD Drives
There may be a whole range of others (and a comprehensive list) listed on other sites of possible issues

BUT: When the computer was bought (brand new) it booted from the CD/DVD Drive (even new and old computers)
Therefore something (as above) has changed since, ie its not MS updates or firmware drivers, or anything like that. Although I agree that parts don't last as long as they did in the past, ie most 486 computers still work, ironically

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-many-cd-dvd-drives-fail-to-support-boot-these-days.137987/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi everybody.
I have a problem. I m young in age and I was downloading porno from limewire. While I was doing that my laptop crashed. It s not that I a virus or sth cause I had problems with my computer for a long time. But my question is that if my mon, who knows about computers, finaly make it and start my pc, will she see that I had limewire downloading porno? About the pc, it says that it was not properly shut down so it makes an efford to recover and then it crashes and starts all over again. Please, please please answer cause I ll go nuts.
Thank you!

A:My laptop crashed while I was downloading

Hi

oh dear you are in a mess arent you.?

if your pc savvy mum gets the pc going, limewire will start only if set to start when the pc logs on to a desktop, if it doesnt you should be safe...

If it does then its time to come clean with your mum and admit to what you were doing, i dont know your mum but if you need to download porn at an early age then your mum needs to do some explaining so you dont get the wrong idea about sex...

If you happen to have the XP disk to hand you could try booting from it and choosing to do a repair, this happens when the profile is corrupted and cant load.

Good luck and stop downloading porn, you can do all that later in life, for now go outside and play hide and seek like most kids.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-crashed-while-i-was-downloading.137198/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi,

I can not get my Dell XPS 720 to work. When I start it up it beeps 3 then 2 times and the monitor LCD screen says Auto Detect (Digital Input) in power save mode, press any key to start, then goes blank. Neither the mouse or keyboard can get it out of power save mode. This just happened suddenly. It worked fine one day and then the next day it was in power save mode. I have spent alot of time surfing for an answer and trying to figure out how to fix it but am at a lost. Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Lisa

A:Dell XPS 720 stuck in power save mode

That beep sequence usually represents something wrong with the RAM.
Have you done any memory upgrades lately? The RAM has become loose and not seated properly?
The only thing that honestly confuses me is the power save mode.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-xps-720-stuck-in-power-save-mode.133551/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hey I have a really on after for turn days turned Computer off won't its weird problem and as far as I know its pretty unique since I have been surfing the internet for ages without result Here goes I bought a alienware about a year ago Over the year sometime can t remember when it developed this problem of not turning on after it was turned off If it was left for a couple of hours it would But THEN it developed this new thing were I would have to take the kettle plug out whatever its called and then leave it for a few hours and Computer won't turn on for days after its turned off it would reboot then We sent the computer back under warranty and they appartently put in a new power supply and motherboard Fair play Anyway got the computer back and it was fine For about a week Then it came back and VERY quickly grew worse and worse Now Computer won't turn on for days after its turned off if I take the kettle plug out and leave it it takes about five days to turn on again What the FUDGE is going on Lol sorry for the language P S This computer is pretty powerful like handles any new game on top graphics without a problem and always loads in first Dunno if that helps or not nbsp

A:Computer won't turn on for days after its turned off

i have the same problem with my laptop , any help

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-turn-on-for-days-after-its-turned-off.134029/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hello I loop in an Nv4_disp stuck infinite have a nVidia Geforce GT and lately I Nv4_disp stuck in an infinite loop ve experienced an interesting problem If I try to play a game watch a dvd or use the computer too long something along the lines of the screenshot will happen No this isn t from my computer or even a game I ve played but this is what it looks I will either be forced to reboot or get Nv4_disp stuck in an infinite loop a blue screen which occasionally says there s an error with quot nv disp quot or quot nv disp all quot When the computer comes back I ll recieve an error saying the display drivers were caught in an infinite loop Last night after the computers colors went bad and I had to reboot I could t get to the desktop without getting the blue screen This happened numerous times When I finally got to the desktop I recieved the serious error again saying the drivers were caught in an infinite loop I ve unistalled and reinstalled the display drivers and even had the video card replaced I really don t know what to do anymore And sorry but I m not THAT computer savvy but this is the best I can explain it Thank you Oh and I have a Dell XPS Dimension XPS nbsp

A:Nv4_disp stuck in an infinite loop

Are you running XP or Vista?

First thing I would try is uninstalling the video drivers the normal way (i.e. Add/Remove Programs) and then running Driver Sweeper, which is available for free. This handy tool will completely clean out the existing video driver files and then you can do a fresh reinstall of the drivers downloaded from www.nvidia.com once you have rebooted. Reboot again after the installation is complete and the try running a game for at least an hour.

If the blue screen or error message(s) appear again, you might want to look into updating your chipset drivers, which are for the motherboard and are usually found on the Dell site in your case. There is also the possibility that the card is overheating. 8800GTs, depending on which model, can run quite hot especially whilst gaming. If I were you, I would download RivaTuner to monitor GPU temps and adjust the card's fan speed manually. This way, you can run the fan up higher before playing games and hopefully the heat levels will be suppressed.

Worst case scenario is the card's vRAM is corrupt. This is quite rare but we've seen it before, even on replacement cards! In that case, your best bet would be to find something else or have it serviced.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nv4_disp-stuck-in-an-infinite-loop.133965/
Relevancy 23.65%

I changed monitors on an XP computer and had it working fine until I changed the resolution to something this computer OR monitor just couldn't resolve.

Now the monitor is in a state of balck screen except for in the middle saying Auto Detect is on (Analog) the also shows "Cannot display this video mode", Optimum resolution is 1920x1200 60hz

The screen cannot be taken off this no matter what I tried.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

A:Monitor stuck on Video Mode warning

Reboot the computer and press F8 until you enter Safe Mode... Select VGA and restart

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-stuck-on-video-mode-warning.132737/
Relevancy 23.65%

I m looking for some help please My computer was giving New of event HDD/XP lots gets stuck errors booting, viewer me lots of BSOD slowed stuck bootups and errors originated New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors from Device Harddisk D in my event viewer My hard drive failed generic long tests and had bad clusters so I got a new hard drive installed it New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors with XP and it was fine for a week Then my computer would boot New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors to a blank screen and wouldn t boot in safe mode So I yesterday reinstalled XP again and now it s staying on the XP loading screen but never actually loading Safe boot got stuck as soon as I went into event viewer I managed to get it to start up normally just now and I am seeing these errors in event viewer -Error event ID The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk D -Warning event ID An error was detected on device Device Harddisk D during a paging operation -Error event ID The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error A device attached to the system is not functioning That same error repeats only instead of DHiverCP NetBios it s DNS Client TCP IP Protocol Driver and IPSEC -Error event The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Aavmker AFD AmdK AsIO asuskbnt aswSP aswTdi Fips IPSec MRxSmb NetBIOS NetBT ohci RasAcd Rdbss Tcpip Does this appear to be a hardware issue or is there a problem with the copy of Windows I obtained I m so frustrated I almost want to buy a premade from Dell and forget about it My current system specs Asus M N-SLI Deluxe mobo AMD Athlon X GB Corsair -Pin DDR SDRAM Please help nbsp

A:New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors

It appears that you have a nice system, if you can get it back to normal.
We have to suspect other hardware, since two hard drives have similar symptoms... but you may have copied evil stuff from the one drive to the other. How did you transfer files? Or an infestation.
What did you use to scan your system for virus and spyware infestations?
Have you carefully checked your cables... or even tried replacing them temporarily?
Examine all sockets for dirt and debris, and clean your system thoroughly but carefully.
You may need to rule out some things that do not seem part of the problem... as it may be a long and slow process to figger out where the problem is... I would start, if the drive will work well enough, by running MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes, which ever is longer... or removing half the memory to test the other half, then switching.
We always suspect the cables first. They can fail and look good.
Any defective hardware part can cause problems elsewhere if the conditions are right... so I would begin by making a check list, then trading out everything on the list... video card, modem even if not used, ethernet connection or software, .
I would also try another drive and cable... any other drive, even using the first drive, fully reformatted and reinstalled with Windows and basic software....
Windows will not normally cause these of problem, but if you have scratches or smudges that would make it difficult to read, then you could theoretically introduce errors... unlikely though that is.
You could have an optical drive error that is not seeing the software properly.
But it is also possible that your Asus board, good as it is, has a defect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hdd-xp-gets-stuck-booting-lots-of-event-viewer-errors.131519/
Relevancy 30.53%

Okay, so I have a friend that decided they were gonna build a new computer, and of course asked for my help.

They want to go with an AMD processor, but I said I'd rather go with an Intel... as I've seen that Intel's lately perform much better on average, put out less heat, and seem to have bigger L2 caches from what I've seen looking around.

Anyways, as I'm not familiar with AMD's latest lineup of processors, I thought I'd ask everyone here what they'd recommend. (Last time I even bought an AMD was about 3 years ago...) Anyone had any experience with AMD's more recent processors?

A:AMD processors - what would people recommend these days?

Depends on budget, AMD is marginally cheaper, and they have quite competative processors with lots of L3 cache. Budget?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-processors-what-would-people-recommend-these-days.128600/
Relevancy 24.08%

my problem is that the socket of the cards is very deep. now i got my memory stick pro card to the back(the furthest place of the sockets).it worked, but now i want to take it out, i have no idea how to do it beside opening it... theres no mechanism when you push it and it jumps out, tried many times. the computer is Lenovo 3000 N100. (that's written on the computer)
Thanks for any help guys.

A:Memory stick PRO stuck in the socket

Bumpy, anyone can help me please? appreciate...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-stick-pro-stuck-in-the-socket.128000/
Relevancy 24.08%

Afternoon everyone I am having a problem that I hope someone here save in Stuck power might be able to help me with On this site I have posted my computer specs under Fink and it is with this system that is my issue When I put Stuck in power save this sytem together I had no problems with it everything when together and worked just fine There were user accounts set up for me and for my daughter On mine I went in and took off the power save options in windows My daughter did not A few days ago she was on and was distracted by one of her friends When she went back to the computer it had gone into power save - and now we get into my banging the head against the wall issue - and it WONT come out I have tried everything to get it to restart and it wont Right now I am down to just the motherboard power supply cpu and ram The bios wont even log on Any ideas as to what the issue is Thanks for your help nbsp

A:Stuck in power save

Try a hard power down. Press and hold the button on the front panel. Or unplug and replug.
And welcome to TechSpot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-in-power-save.125445/
Relevancy 25.8%

I need to change my cellular, but don't want to get rid of some old nice pictures I have on my Kyocera KX16, so I bought a data-cable via eBay that came with a CD. The cable plugs in on the side of my cell, and has a USB connector at the other end. SETUP was then run from the CD and there was an app called QPST that installed on my laptop. With that done, I went to check the posibility of accesing the data contained of my mobile phone but nothing happened. Reading some more, I realized one more app was needed. KPD v3.1 was then found on the web and installed it, but when run it keeps saying no phone is connected to the desktop. What am I missing?

A:Downloading pics from Kyocera KX16 to my laptop

probably drivers to see the phone.

Can you see the phone under my computer in windows?

if so, try cutting and pasting the files?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/downloading-pics-from-kyocera-kx16-to-my-laptop.125362/
Relevancy 19.78%

The "b" key on my laptop repeats continuously. It doesn't seem to be depressed. This only starts happening after I log into Vista.
Have ran scans with AVG, Norton, SpyBot and also tried system restore to no avail.
Any ideas how to solve this? Its making it impossible to do anything. Thanks in advance

A:"b" key Stuck or Virus?

while certainly there have been keypress viri it is not likely. I think you just need to replace the keyboard.

BUT before you do so, boot into safe mode command line. If the key is still repeating in DOS - it's the keyboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/b-key-stuck-or-virus.124958/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi all..

Sometimes I got this error message when I turn on my laptop.

Error:
0210: Stuck key 39
Press <F1> to setup..

Tried googling but can't find the solution. Tried pressing F1 but didn't solve the problem.

Please help!

A:Stuck key 39

When surfing for a solution to a problem like yours, you'll get much better results by enclosing the error message in quotes (" "). This will return matches on the exact text within the quotes (vs. returning matches individual words)

So try again, and this time enter the text below (including the quotes) . You'll find many search results
"Error 0210 : Stuck Key 39"​

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-key-39.124989/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey everyone I ve been trying to Stuck FSB 402 - SLI at P5N32-E overclock my E past GHz MHz FSB on my P N -E SLI motherboard the past few days and it seems that no matter what I try I can t get the motherboard to post with Stuck at 402 FSB - P5N32-E SLI an FSB past MHz I ve read plenty of reviews for this board where the reviewers got at least MHz FSB and sometimes over MHz but mine just seems limited at I ve set the CPU multiplier way down at x RAM speed is unlinked from the Stuck at 402 FSB - P5N32-E SLI FSB I just feel like the board can go further than this because it runs perfectly until exactly then no matter what Stuck at 402 FSB - P5N32-E SLI I do it will not post at anything above that not even Basically I m asking if anyone has had experience with this board or at least this chipset i who can give me suggestions as to where to go from here Of course there is the possibility that this IS the limit of my board but I m having trouble accepting that without a nd opinion tl dr My motherboard wont POST past FSB tell me how I can make it work nbsp

A:Stuck at 402 FSB - P5N32-E SLI

I remember you telling me that you had to keep increasing your voltages in bios to keep your oc stable on your old cpu, I mentioned it was a psu issue, which you didnt think of at that time. What kind of heatsink are you using.

What psu are you using right now?
Have you tried bumping the voltage up on the northbridge at all?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-at-402-fsb-p5n32-e-sli.124728/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hello,
I have a memory stick pro duo and someone stuck it in my computers card reader slot without using the adapter thingy to make it fit! :dead: (see example here)

The card has slid all the way to the back of the reader. I did try using a tweezer like most people used to solve their problem, but i bought 3 different sized tweezers and they don't fit because the card has went above the rail that you slide it in.
Any ideas on how to remove it?

If you don't understand what i mean, i can take a picture and attach it. Just ask.

Thank you

A:Memory card stuck in reader

Take the picture, but you might have to get some micro tools to take this out. Let me see how close you can take a micro image of what you have to work with...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-card-stuck-in-reader.85264/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hi I recently got a monitor from one of my friends saying that it was broken Its a Dell in LCD I have my main monitor a in Samsung wide screen So i just plugged it into the not my display is stuck dual Computer in monitor will Samsung and monitor mode second Computer is stuck in dual monitor mode and will not display my Samsung monitor DVI slot on my graphics Card When i went into the display config i set up dual monitors just to see if it was working The dell monitor would blink up then quit on me When i was messing with the Display settings I made the Dell Not my Samsung the Default Computer is stuck in dual monitor mode and will not display my Samsung monitor Monitor I Computer is stuck in dual monitor mode and will not display my Samsung monitor unpluged the broken Dell and restarted Now my computer regognizes the Samsung as the second monitor and it just shuts it off and recognizes nothing as the main I managed to get it into safe mode and it recognized the samsung but every time i try go back to Normal Start the screen is blank How can i get it to recognize the Samsung as my main nbsp

A:Computer is stuck in dual monitor mode and will not display my Samsung monitor

You might try reinstalling your cards video drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-is-stuck-in-dual-monitor-mode-and-will-not-display-my-samsung-monitor.122659/
Relevancy 26.66%

The following is the error message when I try to install my daughters games on my computer. I went into the folders of the game and installed the DirectX 9.0c but still continue to get the message. I just had to have my hard drive replaced and the geek squad used my recovery discs etc. to install the hard drive and hardware. My daughter used to be able to play all these games, I was running Vista but they installed Windows XP when they re-did my computer. My graphics info is a Trident Video Accelerator 96XX/938X. Can you help me?

Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

pamelag44

A:Downloading Sims games and others

If it worked before, it should work now. You might need to install the latest driver for your Trident graphics as the message said.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/downloading-sims-games-and-others.120887/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi For the past week this error message has appeared on my screen upon boot USB Over Current Status Detected Computer will shut down in seconds I ve been determined to solve it but it error status stuck USB current detected over device - I'm just won t go away I cannot get my computer started at all or even access BIOS settings My computer specification can be found in the link in the top right the motherboard in question is the ASUS P K-E After reading forum discussions involving USB device over current status detected error - I'm stuck the same problem I ve tried nearly everything Disconnecting front USB panel Removing all USB devices before switching on Resetting CMOS Powering up the computer with minimum components connected Checked for short USB device over current status detected error - I'm stuck circuit problems spare screws motherboard touching case The remaining suggestions are starting it up outside of the case loosening the screws that connect the motherboard to the case I m going to attempt them solutions tomorrow I would like to know if there are any other solutions to this problem though as I am quickly running out of ideas Perhaps the error is not caused by a short circuit and could be something else Lastly I must mention that the computer has operated without the problem for months HOWEVER one USB port onboard has been unstable for around two months since I tried connecting my keyboard instrument to my computer I seen a message pop up in the bottom right hand corner indicating quot power surge on USB port quot or something close When I seen that message the mouse usb powered and other components would stop working until I reconnected them The quot USB Over Current Status Detected quot error came about last week after I shut the computer down but I recall that the last thing I done on my computer beforehand was inserting my gb memory stick into the defective USB port and seeing the quot power surge on USB port quot message appear Thank you very much if you can help Schmutz nbsp

A:USB device over current status detected error - I'm stuck

Howto -->Benchtest<-- your PC

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-device-over-current-status-detected-error-im-stuck.115017/
Relevancy 24.08%

my laptop screen is suffering from stuck pixel problem. i used some software and videos that changes color rapidly to fix the stuck pixel, but that did not work. now the stuck pixels are grownig in numbers. is there any way to fix the stuck pixel problem. it's really annoying.:bounce:

A:how to remove stuck pixel in lcd?

Replace the LCD. Yes, there are urban legends about "fixing" stuck pixels, but they shouldn't appear in the first place. The LCD is bad and you should replace it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-stuck-pixel-in-lcd.75311/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have broadband 1.5 mbps
When i run the speakeasy speed test it shows that too roughly 1.5 mbps, however when i am downloading stuff i always max out at about 50 - 60 kbps.
When i am downloading torrent files i know it depends on how many seeders you have and whatnot but i noticed it doesn't matter if i have 1 file downloading or 10 at any given time, it adds up to roughly 50 - 60 kbps.
I even opened up limewire while also downloading the torrent file and it split it up between the 2 programs each downloading at about 25 - 30 kbps.
How do the isp come up with their figure of 1.5 mbps?

A:Downloading speed

well, your ISP must be using same method as Speak Easy as you say they both arrive at the same numbers?

But that measurement speed test arrives at 1.5MB is the download transfer time the calculate between you and a server physically shorter distance to you (then your other internet data requests) which is downloading a file of fixed size. So it becomes just math of size/time for your download rate.

Now, all that said, all your file transfers aren't under the same conditions as the speed test where, for one thing, you are using a server close to you. So testing with their server over short distance vs. unknown server far away doesn't account for:
- delays due to routing the data back/forth around the world
- the data server on other end (as well as communication servers in between) may not all be as fast as the one at Speak Esy for your test
- various other internet unknowns... which you can continue to investigate but for the most part are not probably due to your ISP. And your ISP can't deliver data any faster then the speed of the slowest link along the back/forth network path your data has taken.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/downloading-speed.115251/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have an incredibly beat-up laptop that I'm still trying to use. There a external parts missing (a few keys here and there), and the backlight's broken, but otherwise it seems to be in good enough condition.

My current problem is that the fn key won't turn off. It's bothersome when the 'L' key makes the page go down... Any way to fix this?

A:Laptop Fn key is stuck

"Any way to fix this?"...

Yes stotbug,
replace the beat up keyboard... many replacement laptop keyboards are under $40

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-fn-key-is-stuck.111327/
Relevancy 24.08%

right when i turn on my computer it goes to the usuall first boot screen that shows the processor, the memory and some of the drives. then it stays on that screena dn doesnt move at all. i have recently tried to change the video card and this is how it ended, so i pulled it out and put everything to how it was before. but it stills freezes on thte boot screen. i cant figure anything out plz help.

A:Computre stuck on boot screen

You may need to refer to your m/b manual on resetting the bios
I'd also check all connections are secure on the m/b and devices (harddrive ; cdrom etc)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computre-stuck-on-boot-screen.95847/
Relevancy 24.08%

Stuck on HP Invent screen - HELP HELP HELP HP on Invent screen Stuck HELP HELP Please I have a question I am working on a HP Stuck on HP Invent screen a c desktop model The computer is stuck on the HP invent window I will not let me into any thing I try to use the keyboard prompts like ESC F and so on It just stays there I have disconnected every thing on the PC The only thing that is running is the cpu and ram I have also tried Stuck on HP Invent screen to clear the cmos and reset it but no luck When the computer was running I hit system restore and thats where all the problems started It slow went downhill and this is where it end up I have the HP manuals and tried their solution but none of them worked The Hp manual says when clearing CMOS you turn it on and it should come with a CHECK SUM Error I didnt it all i got was the hp invent screen The pc doesnt have a floopy Is there another way to reinstall the BIOS Can some one please help me figure this out I have run out of options nbsp

A:Stuck on HP Invent screen

Did you try F8 (repeatedly)? I'm not sure what's going on here. Did you recently install software? Are you trying to do a system restore? I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember you must start in safe mode.

I see you added detail, but not enough. If the above doesn't work, please give details as to what you were doing just prior to the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stuck-on-hp-invent-screen.108200/
Relevancy 26.66%

HI

I really like using firefox, I love the tab feature.

The problem that Im having has been going on for a couple weeks now. I download a lot of political video clips. When the download finishes, I get a notification that says download is complete while the video starts. This usually freezes up my computer and I have to reboot.

my OS is windows ME
Im using WMP 9

This doesnt happen when I use IE

thanks

A:Downloading video freezes up

how can I disable the notification when the download is finished?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/downloading-video-freezes-up.106884/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey i have this laptop that is really bugging me. this is the problem It is having as soon as i turn it on it on i get the boot screen with the HP logo but it freezes there i can not run any disk or go into bios also sometimes the screen will not even light up just stays off. Any help thanks

Things i have tried:

removed wireless card

A:HP Laptop wont do anything, stuck on HP logo

and what is the model of laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-laptop-wont-do-anything-stuck-on-hp-logo.106855/
Relevancy 24.51%

I moved my hard drive from 1 comp to another. After doing that windows wouldnt boot it kept crashing, but it would boot in safe mode fine. I went to msconfig and went to boot.ini then did /safeboot and then i found out that i needed to activate windows because i moved the harddrive. So i was stuck in a loop to where i couldnt get to the desktop any more. So i did the XP home repair install from entering the CD. Now when it finished it wanted to boot windows to finish the repair it is still in safe mode so it wont allow the repair to work unless safe mode is off. Safe mode was turned on from msconfig /safemode so with normal boot safemode is still on. Any idea on what I can do???

A:HD Stuck in Loop Please Help

IF a major component of your old comp is dead, then call MS$ and explain and use your install disk to re-install XP again.

If you don't have a disk, then buy one.

Somewhere here I am missing WHY you moved the drive.

Ya know?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hd-stuck-in-loop-please-help.104859/
Relevancy 24.08%

I was looking everywhere for a solution to this problem - it ended up being in the setup menu upon booting.

In the setup menu (F2 when first booting up) under the 'cpu information' part, there's a cpu speed setting. On this machine I was repairing it was set to 'compatible' - I set it back to Normal and the computer now runs super fast.

I had reinstalled windows on differrent hard drives, looked for spyware and all, and this ended up being the culprit.

Hopefully ths might be of some help to anyone else who might get stuck in this situation. Good Luck-

The machine was a Dell Dimension 2400 - P4 2.8 - 384 Ram - 80 GB HD - WinXP Sp2

A:CPU stuck at 100%, runs slow

You're talking about CMOS setup
Mostly I say load defaults, or optimized defaults (usually the last screen area)
I wonder if defaults, make your CPU "Normal" or "'Compatible" (I might even check mine!)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-stuck-at-100-runs-slow.104004/
Relevancy 26.66%

Im in an office where by we are around 10-20 users on the LAN.im not the network administrator, but i would like to know a way i would block a user from downloading because it really slows us down ...any advice?

A:How to stop a user from downloading on a LAN

yes, well i think go to 192.0.0.1 and figure ur self threw its really easy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-stop-a-user-from-downloading-on-a-lan.103413/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have an abit motherboard with realtekbuilt in audio and logitech z-5300 speakers. My problem is that my sound would get stuck or hesitate very now and then. I tried downloading different drivers and nothing fixed the problem. So I thought well maybe on board audio is cheap so I bought a Sound Blaster Fatality. I disabled the realtek drivers and updated the sound blaster drivers and here's where I'm stuck. The welcome screen sound skips and doesn't play smooth. I have not found any other problems but its still annoying that it doesn't work 100%. Please give me your suggestions.

A:Sound gets stuck or skips

just to make it clear,did you disabled the on-board sound in your
device manager or in BIOS?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-gets-stuck-or-skips.101383/
Relevancy 22.36%

ok where to start... bought this mobo (crosshair) on newegg read reviews havn't installed it. plan on learning more about over clocking before i really get deep into this project. there was a frequent review comment about the upgrade to bios of 0904 making it usable to the new quads but taking away 1066 recognition for memory. i plan on running an amd athlon x2 6400+ with Corsair(8) X2(4g:2X2gb ddr2) 800mhz 5-5-5-18 1.8v. the mobo says it has a standard of 800mgz and has a setable frequency in bios of ddr2:400, ddr2:533, ddr2:677,and ddr2,800. so i was just wondering why this is. memory standard of 800 can u over clock to 1066? can u go higher? is standard memory a minimal? just looking for a little q and a please and thanks everyone!

A:Crosshair mobo updates bad?

You may benefit from a quick read on memory as it applies to that motherboard. Look at what is listed as acceptable by the motherboard manufacturer, then get Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, or whatever. Any should be fine, but if you are going to use the board as a gamer, you do not want Value Ram because of the timings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/crosshair-mobo-updates-bad.100654/
Relevancy 26.66%

I do hope this is the correct forum so --
I have both Ulead Video Plus 11.5 and Premiere Elements 3 for editing but all I wan to do is to download some tapes from my Panasonic camcorder onto an external 200G HDD and then edit as and when I have time. But every time I try with one of the above programmes it saves the tape as a project and Ulead always divides it into scenes. Any suggestions, please? Many thanks for ehlp in the past.
Regards. Drawstop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/downloading-mini-dv-to-external-hdd.99847/
Relevancy 22.36%

What is the best way for checking for driver updates, or are they all done automatically?

A:Checking for driver updates

use the Device Mgr to find the specific device, go to properties and then Update Driver

no, it's not done automatically

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/checking-for-driver-updates.99230/
Relevancy 23.65%

hi all i have a rather amusing issue to me but its starting to be persistant and with card stuck Problem fake gfx - pixels not going away and has turnd into a semilong post doing my best to describe it i have looked on the web to try and find something similar but alas i have found none with the exception of stuck pixels why am i pretty darn certain its not a stuck Problem with gfx card - fake stuck pixels pixel on my lcd first time s i saw one was while playing Warsow i noticed there was a red pixel prolly a couple inches in from the left and almost in the center vertically it wasnt always there while playing but it was pretty constant it also would sometimes persist afterwards untill i moved another window app over the top and then away why is this not a stuck pixel because i hit printscreen opend ms paint and it was still there and ms paint was on the other side of the screen with the pixel visible in the same location in the screendump it also when i dragged mspaint over the pixel s spot it would add more red dots to the screencap i could in theory draw with it whether or not they physicaly stay with the image file i havent been able to test yet ill try when i get home from work none the less i could live with a pixel then i noticed on some rare times it would be visible in other games crysis for example and there were other red pixels on rare occasions in other locations then there comes yesterday while watching the weekly anime in vlc i noticed when it was dark to near black on the bottom there were white pixels that would flicker on and off even when paused the fun part with this pixel if i had the size almost fullscreen so i could see one of them center bout Problem with gfx card - fake stuck pixels inch from the bottom and then moved vlc to the right the white flashing pixel would follow the window like as if it was part of the vlc window and when moving back to the left it moved back but once it hit the original point it wouldnt move any further to the left unfortunately i dont have a differnt monitor at easy hand to test but i have tried to gently rub the screen etc with no avail my thoughts are that a something is funky with the mobo cpu b something is funky with the gfx more likely forgot to put in something is funky with something after the system is warm hot peak recorded gpu temp while playing stalker for a few hours was C i think might have been when i get home from work after midnight ill try see if ican take a screen and see if it sticks to the file any ideas Mobo - intel D GTP Gfx - asus gtx mb Mem - dont know brand gig ddr CPU - intel dual core ghz psu - new thermaltake toughpower W lcd - benq fp gx age of my system is - months old lcd is months ish and the new psu is a month old any hints tips or things to try anything at all thanks nbsp

A:Problem with gfx card - fake stuck pixels

Heat and or cooling issues maybe? Try cleaning your case out with a can of canned air. All that comes to mind.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-gfx-card-fake-stuck-pixels.92039/