Windows Support Forum

External USB HDD not disconnecting properly

Q: External USB HDD not disconnecting properly

In W10.1607 x86 when I eject a External USB HDD, it does not Power Down, I mean the Eject Procedure is not being totally finished. The Safe to Eject message appears but the light on HDD stays on and if I pull it out I can listen the Motor spinning down.
That is it not good, that will damage in short time the HDD.
The same HDD in a w10 x64 is working correctly.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/63894-external-usb-hdd-not-disconnecting-properly.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External USB HDD not disconnecting properly

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,

I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop External HDD and I have had it for over a year now. It was working fine until yesterday when it started disconnecting and reconnecting whenever I moved the laptop. I figured that there must be something wrong with the USB port on my laptop or with the cable.
I tried the HDD in my other laptop which is running XP (not vista like the first one) and instead of just disconnecting it reported a "power surge on hub port". I assume that this rules out the USB ports on the laptops as the problem. However, most of what I've read on power surge issues points to the actual HDD unit itself.
Is it possible that it is just the cable that is causing all the problems or should I try to recover my information from the HDD and get a new one?

Thanks,
MrsB

Relevancy 54.61%

Hello,

I bought new external USB 3 harddisk (Verbatim External Hard Drive 2TB USB 3.0) this christmas and I've got a little problem. Sometimes disk just disconnect from computer. When I turn on computer everything is ok but sometimes after hours it just disconnect. I tried to change USB slot but it's still same. I was thinking about their "sleep" mode but it can't be possible because I'm still using it - I've got music there.

I have got the latest USB 3 drivers from Asus website.

A:External HDD disconnecting from PC

are you using it as a plug and play device, or is it managed by 3rd party software?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209591-external-hdd-disconnecting-pc.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Anyone know why my external HDD keeps disconnecting itself?

It used to do it with my old PC, and I thought it was due to the slow processor, but the new one should be fast enough. Also, my other 120gb external HDD used to do it too, so I always thought it was my old PC's fault. But now that my new PC is doing it, I'm stumped.

When I first connected it to the new PC to upload the old PC's files (using SynbackSE), it stayed connected the whole time (several hours).

And I was never asked to format it.

Now it disconnects every few minutes, then when it reconnects, the usual popups appear and a request to format the disk.

Does anyone know how to solve this please?

thanks

A:External HDD Keeps Disconnecting Itself

go into power options in the control panel.
change plan settings
then click change advanced
expand usb and check that Usb selective suspend is disabled.

This will at least cover it from the windows side of things.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/148749-external-hdd-keeps-disconnecting-itself.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey guys i have had this problem for about months now and i still cannot External Keeps Disconnecting Hardrive find a fix on my own What happens it I have an external External Hardrive Keeps Disconnecting hard drive to save External Hardrive Keeps Disconnecting footage and I edit the gameplay footage but the external hard drive disconnects every usb that i have My internet card headphones mouse keyboard all for a split second then comes back on And it only happens when im using my external hard drive to either transfer files or have the files open Even when im playing a game that is downloaded on that hard drive External Hardrive Keeps Disconnecting Now i have tested this hard drive on other computers and laptops and none have this problem Just mine I have tried going into power saving and turning off the quot disable USB to save power quot thing I have tried a few different things as well And i wouldn't mind it if it is occasionally doing this But it happens every seconds whenever the harddrive is in use Any advice would be great

A:External Hardrive Keeps Disconnecting

Welcome to the forum is it as powered HD?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-10-a/129736-external-hardrive-keeps-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Every time I connect my external usb hdd to backup something,when I try to eject the drive(safely remove hardware),windows always says that the drive is used by something and will not allow me to safely disconnect the hdd.

If I just connect the drive and then disconnect it with "safely remove hardware",then it's fine but if I do some copy=>pasting,I have to set the drive to offline from device manager to be able to use "safely remove hardware"

It's 2TB "TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device" and when I check with Process Hacker,nothing is using the hdd.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/382772-why-do-i-always-have-problems-disconnecting-my-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello This one is really bugging me because I have checked everything and I cannot fathom out what is causing the disconnection apart from HDD keep USB 2.x External disconnecting Buffalo either is a MB issue or driver issue Whenever I turn on my computer and Windows loads it Buffalo External USB 2.x HDD keep disconnecting will not load the USB External HDD which has been set to AUTO so it will load when Windows loads I have tried manual switch but this does not work either The HDD is a combo HDD with Buffalo External USB 2.x HDD keep disconnecting Firewire and USB x although if I use Firewire instead its fine What is happening is that Device Manager in disabling the device for some reason and the only way in which I Buffalo External USB 2.x HDD keep disconnecting can get Device Manager to recognise the quot EXT HDD quot is to search for new hardware and then it works The only thing that I found to be a little odd was there is no set power showing for the USB Mass Storage Device mA I know it is the right port location because it is the same number Any ideas why this has started to do this Any suggestion would be deeply appreciated There is something I forgot to mention and that is the battery needs replacing I have never had a battery die on me on a motherboard ever The only conclusion I can think for the reason why the battery has been drained in the ROC Logo on the MB I used to leave on and I think it drained the motherboard battery If the power is terminated example the PSU is turned off then I have to reset the BIOS Although I don't think this is related but I thought I would mention it

A:Buffalo External USB 2.x HDD keep disconnecting

It wouldn't hurt to pick up and install a new battery.

You should also take a look and try to find the USB drivers for your motherboard (or just the motherboard drivers), as it sounds like it isn't recognizing it properly. Also make sure that Legacy USB support is enabled in BIOS.

~Lordbob

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/151399-buffalo-external-usb-2-x-hdd-keep-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a ThinkPad Workstation Dock (230W) that has two external monitors attached at work. When I leave work and disconnect my P50 from the dock, I close the lid and it goes to sleep. When I go to use the laptop again (without external monitors connected), the laptop thinks it is still attached to the external montors and the login screen does not show on my laptop. I then cannot get into my laptop without shutting down or restarting. I would like to be able to make this work without having to do a restart or shut down when I leave work. I have already tried adjusting the "boot time extension" in bios and this did not resolve the issue. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-not-disconnecting-from-external-monitors/td-p/3441192
Relevancy 53.32%

I have an AlienWare M x purchased from Dell Computers It has Windows Home Premium External Drive keeps disconnecting and DVD connecting Intel Chipset U Dual Core GHz gb ram bit operating system NVIDIA GEFORCE GT M and Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset gb hard drive It has usb ports one continuous power It has no built in dvd drive I have tried both a USB Hub but most of the time plug directly into the computer When I plug in a External DVD drive it will connect and disconnect randomly It may show it is connected and display that a disk is in it but when you click on it or launch from it it will disconnect About a minute later it will reconnect and then disconnect again I had an LG Multifunction Drive and when it first did it I thought the drive was bad so I got rid of External DVD Drive keeps disconnecting and connecting the drive and bought an Iomega Super Slim DVD drive and it worked at first but now does the same thing that the first external DVD drive did I have tried both of the DVD drives with and without the extra power connection I have downloaded all updates drivers etc It only seems to do it with external DVD Drives Any memory stick IPOD ITOUCH External Hard drive is recongnized and stays connected But external DVD drives do not I have had this computer for less than months I tried to contact Dell but when I type in the Service tag number it says that AlienWare does all the support for it When I go to AlienWare you have to create an account in order to even ask a question In order to register for the website you have to provide them an Account Number which I never received None of the service tag codes or Express codes on the computer are valid at Alienware site so I can t even contact them even though it was included in the purchase I am deployed in Iraq so I cannot call except on Skype and the service center can t hear me If anyone has a solution I would be greatful thanks S W nbsp

A:External DVD Drive keeps disconnecting and connecting

What happens if you jiggle the USB from the DVD drive while it is plugged in does anything happen?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-dvd-drive-keeps-disconnecting-and-connecting.954496/
Relevancy 53.32%

Like the title states: my external dvd drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting from both the front and rear USB ports of my PC. It appears in Device Manager for a second and then disappears. The drive is connected via a SATA/USB converter and plugged directly into an electrical socket.

It also makes loading and ejecting sounds.

This is really frustrating at this point...

Thanks for your input!

A:External DVD Drive keeps disconnecting/reconnecting

Is this a laptop?

How often does it connect/disconnect?

Does it do it while in use or after being left alone?

Is your computer putting it to sleep?

Change your power plan to max performance and see if the problem goes away.

If it does we can tweak the settings and go bacvk to your normal power plan

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/25706-external-dvd-drive-keeps-disconnecting-reconnecting.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey,

Windows 7 x86

I've got an USB External Hard Disk Drive (Samsung S2 Portable 500 Gb). In the last 3-4 days it keeps randomly disconnecting when in use... So, Windows starts, it runs fine for an hour or so (in use), then the magic sound strikes. After a couple of seconds it's detected again, and the whole show starts again. Sometimes it reconnects for 3-4 times in a minute. It's driving me crazy!

My USB drivers are up to date, I've unchecked all those Power Management things, I've installed the KB976972 update (tho I'm not quite sure I was suited for it ). I thought it was the cable's fault, so I left it on my brother's Vista PC for about 5 hours playing movies, and it worked...
LE: Now I'm thinking it could be one of the updates 7 made on the 10th of this month...

LE2: It was working fine since Christmas.

A:USB External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting.

is it the only USB device that's giving you issues? is it connected to a USB hub or direct connected to PC also some system specs would be helpfull

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/63771-usb-external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 53.32%

If I uninstall device and or disconnect power it reconnects

A:Seagate external HD disconnecting on reboot

Usb connection on external housing went bad. Discarded it and connected drive SATA bare. Solved

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/363540-seagate-external-hd-disconnecting-reboot.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Ive got a new external hard drive which keeps disconnecting all the time. it varies from maybe once a day, to a couple of times an hour. the hard drive is not faulty (had one before with the same problem).

I already tried to turn of the usb power save function, with no luck

Relevancy 53.32%

My windows motherboard crashed on my laptop but the hard drive is okay I needed some files over the weekend and figured out how to change ownership of my hard drive put in a SATA enclosure to my mother's computer Today I plugged my external in and I think I changed ownership correctly I can access my files on my local disk but I got some errors saying that the quot parameter is incorrect quot Drive disconnecting keeps Hard External and kept connecting and disconnecting all my drives on the External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting external it's split into like or separate ones Eventually it let me connect to my local disk and I was able to transfer some of my files Now I'm transferring a big group of gb and it keeps disconnecting every few seconds It also told me that the drive needed to be repaired but when I run the scan and repair option External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting it never finishes and then just errors out After I get this gb transferred I'm fine with wiping the harddrive clean and turning it into an external but it's making transferring my files very difficult Any ideas without losing my data EDIT Okay it seems like it can work with USB but not I tried to change the power settings like I've seen some people suggest but still didn't help

A:External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting

Sounds like you could have a bad cable?? USB 3.0 requires perfect cables I've had several new ones that were bad! It also sounds like that hard drive is crashing!! Could be either or both. Good luck I hope you get your data off of it. Again Back up back up

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/36675-external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all I've had an external hard drive for some months about - now all keeps External Hard disconnecting Drive was fine until recently I am on Windows the drive is a WD Elements Even in USB or port it will end up disconnecting I am uncertain as to why but it just keeps doing this now it didn't do it when I only had it as my main drive but I added a new one some months ago which seemed to take the drive letter of that one it was D then turned to E - don't know if this makes a difference Anyhow I have tried all of the uninstalling drivers changing drivers etc but it will just keep dropping out and won't re-add itself properly until I unplug it from the power and then reboot and plug back in I have checked the drive with - different drive checking programs and it passes them all fine so it is External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting not the drive itself So wondering what to do far from reformatting and putting Windows on I am a little External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting stuck Thanks

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting-4599703/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi
for no obvious reason my transcend store jet 25M3 1TB suddenly started on disconnecting and right away reconnecting
but only from my front USB3 port (p.s. i have another external HDD exactly the same just a drop more new that i can't decide if it also has the problem but if it does for sure not at the extend of the first one)
what i already did
i already disabled the USB power settings
downloaded the latest USB3 drivers
installed the latest firmware for the hard drive
it's the same PC as my specs
what could i do
thanks

A:External hard drive keeps disconnecting then reconnecting

please i am desperate no on knows?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/369158-external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting-then-reconnecting.html
Relevancy 52.89%

My WD External Hard drive keeps connecting and disconnecting every second or so. I already went into power settings and disabled the USB selective suspend settings but that didnt solve the problem. I also went into the device manager and unchecked the option to allow the computer to turn of this device to save power option but no luck there either.

A:WD External Hard drive keeps connecting and disconnecting

Hello kieron22!
I'm sorry for your problem with a WD external!
Which model is it, a My Passport (which one?), a My Book?
You could try using a different USB cable, a new one, then on every port ? USB 3.0 and 2.0, then on another system. Does the same issue occur everywhere? Doyou hear clicking from the drive or any other unusual sounds? Any error messages? How is the drive's performance? Please use the WD Data Lifeguard software (Support Answers) and check the drive's SMART values, post the results here. Please, be careful not to post the drive's serial number, too!
CK_WD

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/72582-wd-external-hard-drive-keeps-connecting-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all,

So today i brought a new External hard drive today and started copying files to it (as you do)
from my PC (usb2) it worked fine,
but then when i connect it to my latop (TOSHIBA satellite L840) it keeps disconnecting within 5 seconds of copying regardless of file size ONLY when its connected to a USB 3 socket
i can copy stuff to and from the laptop using USB 2.0, but for some reason it doesnt like my USB3 ports :/

all software/firmware updated, usb3 drivers installed, windows even tells me it can peform faster if i connect to the usb3 port (silly windows

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

thanks in advanced

A:WD My Passport Essential 500GB External Keeps Disconnecting from USB3

If it is giving you the message that the drive can perform faster, it sounds like the computer doesn't have the USB 3.0 drivers installed for those ports. Most USB 3.0 ports have separate, specific drivers to enable the 3.0 speeds.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/258762-wd-my-passport-essential-500gb-external-keeps-disconnecting-usb3.html
Relevancy 52.03%

HP Compaq nc XP Pro SP Hadn t used the laptop for awhile had black screen after I charged it then tried to start it Disconnected the battery amp held start switch for about a minute reinstalled the battery then the hp logo showed on startup and after a couple tries Windows booted Was trying to find out how startup external after disconnecting on monitor screen Black to run an external monitor Went into the control panel display settings found that I had options under DISPLAY but both were identically worded - basically for multiple monitors One was the other was I hooked up the external monitor and it worked fine I tried toggling between to with no problem or change in what was displayed I shut down the laptop then unplugged the external monitor When I try to restart I have a black screen nothing at all shows incl the hp logo that usually shows right at the start The HDD etc indicator lights still show that things are running normally The only thing I did was leave it on the display setting altho it read identical to essentially quot multiple monitors quot When I got the black screen on startup after disconnecting the external monitor I also tried the fn f button which is supposed to be the multiple monitor function without any result or change in the black screen When I had the external monitor hooked up and working I tried that to see if it had any effect but it did not Appreciate any help to get the display back to functioning nbsp

A:Black screen on startup after disconnecting external monitor

So even now if you hook up the second monitor you still don't get any video on either display?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-on-startup-after-disconnecting-external-monitor.159935/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a 1TB external storage drive that uses its own power supply and connects to my laptop via USB 2.0 cable. For months I've had absolutely no problem out of the device, until the computer randomly decided to forget the device was plugged in. Now I'm lucky to get the device to be recognized by the computer at all, and when it is recognized, if I try to move anything to/from the device, the connection is immediately severed from the computer.

I use this device for my backup as well as holding on to things I would rather not get rid of. All my drivers are up to date, I've done all the Power Management checking and unchecking that I've read from other threads found via Google search, and still it won't work correctly for me. Any advice?

A:Self-Powered External Storage not recognized/randomly disconnecting

Providing you have done all the power options to attack the problem from the OS end of things, then you must consider that the drive itself is the problem. This seems likely since the drive has worked fine in the past.

The first suspect would be the USB cable, the connector on either end, or the port on either end.

The second suspect would be the hard drives power supply. These do go bad. If it is not supplying proper power then the drive will fail to be recognized correctly.

Try the drive on another computer. If it exhibits the same behavior there then you can narrow it down to one of the two issues above.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/219672-self-powered-external-storage-not-recognized-randomly-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Having solved a number of issues with Windows I almost have it as it should have been from day I still have one annoying little issue You know that little sound the computer makes when you connect something to the USB port such as an external hard drive well mine does it disconnecting 10 hardware external sound Windows of connecting and - every Windows 10 - sound of external hardware connecting and disconnecting - minutes The sound is as if it is connecting something and then minutes later disconnecting I have external drives connected but done of them are the culprits as they show being connected all the time The computer wakens on its own from sleep mode from time to time too so Windows 10 - sound of external hardware connecting and disconnecting something is whirring away I have a wireless printer attached and wondered if it could be the problem but when I need to use it I have no issues Everything seems to be working except for the connect disconnect sound constantly playing in the background Any suggestions I have a laptop still to update to Windows but I have no intention until I nail these problems first Ian nbsp

A:Windows 10 - sound of external hardware connecting and disconnecting

Well it is not the wireless printer, that sound comes on when a physical connection is made. Change your power settings to high performance so the machine does not go to sleep and evaluate; if that does not help, then disconnect the drives, one at the time for an hour each and evaluate further.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-10-sound-of-external-hardware-connecting-and-disconnecting.1154968/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a problem with a previously perfectly functioning external hard drive which is now disconnecting and External server disconnecting scanned by hard media drive when reconnecting ie visible in my computer then disappearing every time it is scanned for content by a External hard drive disconnecting when scanned by media server media server program meaning that the software doesn t find any content rendering it useless I have Vista Home premium and the the drive is a standard quot Freecom Gb externally powered and connected via USB I was previously running Twonkymedia with it and had no problems whatsoever until I got External hard drive disconnecting when scanned by media server frustrated with Twonky s lack of support for Matroska containers and decided to try a few other servers and the hard drive suddenly behaved like this in exactly the same way with all of them Even when I tried re-installing Twonky I don t know what s changed I ve tried sharing un-sharing the drive no difference I don t have any problems viewing editing copying to and from the drive when a media server is not running Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-disconnecting-when-scanned-by-media-server.889051/
Relevancy 51.6%

i know you all work so hard i m sorry to bother you but i m hoping someone will be able to help me my mo old used simpletech gb ext hd w replacement mini b to dual male usb cable i have committed some sins like leaving it plugged in for long periods of time or accidentally pulling out the cord and i want to mention that the other day after that happened i could hear very faintly like the drive was skipping a little and i could not internally stop the drive and had to disconnect it once disconnecting my b external drive hard port? mini damaged keeps - more to make its blue light go off - but after that i plugged it in and it seemed to work okay still and now the mini b connection which i think stayed in place before is now so fragile that literally if i barely breathe while resting my external hard drive keeps disconnecting - damaged mini b port? the drive on my lap w my laptop the drive will no longer be recognized by my computer i have to be PERFECTLY still i can barely get in to look at my files before it happens again do you think i should try a new cable or duct taping the mini b not too firmly though because pushing the plug also makes it disconnect in place or do you think i physically damaged the mini b port when the cord accidentally pulled out do you think my files are toast i know you all work so hard and might not have time to help me but thank you so much to anyone who took the time to read this nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting-damaged-mini-b-port.828615/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi so I have this brand new Dell after only 530 down reinstall cable and black helps shutting driver disconnecting reconnecting, External Intel and display Inspiron with the Intel HD and Nvidia graphics card I am also using a Dell external display that uses the same full hd resolution and hz frequency So I have connected the external display using DVI gt HDMI cable to my laptop Everything works fine External display black after disconnecting cable and shutting down and reconnecting, only Intel 530 driver reinstall helps But I have disconnected the cable used the laptop around with the built in display External display black after disconnecting cable and shutting down and reconnecting, only Intel 530 driver reinstall helps and later shut it down After doing this i cant start it with the external display again No matter what I do I tried every setting also hitting the buttons on my keyboard to use only the second display etc It stays black Only thing that helps - I have to reinstall the drivers quot Video Driver HYWWT WN A quot After doing this it works again till i dont disconnect it and shut it down But I cant work like this always reinstalling the drivers Second Issue - after reinstalling the drivers it restarts the system but the text is slightly blurry in some applications I have to restart it again to get sharp text Thanks

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19988467
Relevancy 48.59%

So the issue is that the hdd appears in my computer but only as a local disk, it doesn't show any used space like it should normally and when I access it it says the folder is empty.

I've tried that disk management and changed volume letter two times to no effect and I've also tried to go in device manager and delete the usb mass storage driver and it had no problem reinstalling it again but to no effect.

I was wondering if it would help with a quick format but that would mean losing 1tb of stuff I have there... is there anyway I can get it to work without having to lose anything ??

A:External hdd not reading properly

What is the actual size of the drive you're trying to access?
If it's over 2.2 Tb the BIOS will not be able to access it!
see my post over -here-

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-not-reading-properly.199148/
Relevancy 48.59%

So I have a laptop that died, and I took the hard drive out and put it in an enclosure. I plugged it into my other computer, and it worked. It worked wonderfully. Then I safely removed the drive, now it won't work again. It starts up, and in the Device Manager window under disk drives, it shows up there. But in My Computer, it's not there, and in the Disk Management window, it's not showing up. I really need to get some songs that I was working on off of this HD, and I can't afford to go somewhere to get my info recovered.

Can anyone help me? With a slow and concise explanation...because when it comes to the hardcore computer stuff, I'm definitely NOT a pro.

A:My external HD isn't working properly...what do I do?

Start with the easiest thing first, unplug the hard drive, restart the computer then plug in the usb drive after everything starts up on your computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hd-isnt-working-properly-what-do-i-do.107500/
Relevancy 48.16%

I am running vista on my laptop which has an Nvidia GeForce 8700M GT video card. I have a dell external monitor which I know works because it works on my windows 7 netbook.. I plugged the monitor in and nothing. I have all the settings set up to run an extended desktop and made sure it was "connected". Windows is recognizing there is a monitor but it wont "turn it on".. I can draw other windows over in the direction of the monitor as if it were on but its just black... any ideas???

A:External Monitor not working properly

Laptops usually have a key combination to enable the external monitor.
It's usually the Fn key and one of the Function keys. They usually have a picture of a monitor or two on them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-monitor-not-working-properly-470267.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi folks I REALLY need some help as googling amp trawing other forums has failed to find a solution Last night I was trying to install an external dvd-writer to properly after USB ports hub working using external not USB my Dell Inspiron netbook This device had TWO usb plugs and neither of my usb ports are side by side Although they recommended using an extender cord of course none was included I thought I'd get around the USB ports not working properly after using external USB hub problem by using my ac-powered usb port After slowing my netbook USB ports not working properly after using external USB hub to a crawl probably not helped by the USB ports not working properly after using external USB hub attendant installation software Nero freezing amp failing to install I gave up trying to install the software by nixing all the frozen programs with Task Manager amp safely removed the dvd-drive from the hub amp then unplugged the hub Now when I try to install any of my portable external drives Samsung s quot Portable TB Drive Western Digital g Portable Drive directly into the netbook's usb ports they won't work They don't show in Device Manager or as a Lettered Drive They will show up in the Drive letter area a limited way if I connect them via the ac-powered hub Autoplay searches for content amp kinda of gets stuck but you can see access the files But they're still not giving me all the options they did before The Drive letter doesn't have the picture icon it normally has just a placeholder amp the drive's letter amp the device's name When each device is plugged in the 'installing drivers' animation starts amp when finished says something about 'Initio device installed' rather than giving a name to the device e g Samsung Portable Western Digital Ext Drive etc as it normally does A small G flash drive will show up and my wireless mouse works so it suggests at least I haven't fried the ports-I hope I tried disconnecting all usb devices amp the ac hub then deleting all the Universal Serial Bus Controllers amp rebooting They re-install on boot-but doesn't fix my problem My large portable dives won't connect without the ac hub amp do so haphazardly Same result with deleting the Initio Controller System Restores to points before the DVD-writer installation failed to fix it as well I don't know what to do anymore How do I get my netbook to read all the external amp portable drives directly from its usb ports like it used to How do I get it back to full functionity rather than hanging on the 'Search for Content' amp get back full autoplay I know some devices need a hub but these ones didn't What am I doing wrong Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks in Advance WT

A:USB ports not working properly after using external USB hub

Are these external devices USB-powered or A/C Powered?
If they are USB powered it could be that the Power Supply of your netbook cannot handle the demand of electricity the devices need to function, they thing that draws me to this hypothesis of the issue being is that your netbook gets very slow when they are plugged in and little voltage can cause that.

I also had issues with my old PC using an external hub, the whole PC would freeze, so it may be a software conflict as well. Put I think it is mostly PSU based.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/173219-usb-ports-not-working-properly-after-using-external-usb-hub.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello. I have an Asus UX31LA laptop, on which I just did a fresh install of windows 10. I have all the latest drivers from Asus. The problem is that the external usb speakers are not detected properly. The sound is coming out just fine and the Smart Audio software detects them when I plug/unplug the jack but aren't showing up as a separate playback device. Therefore the volume cannot be adjusted individually for each playback device. I did reinstall the drivers, I went to Sound and checked Show disconnected devices. They won't show up in playback devices.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/69662-external-speakers-not-detected-properly.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I've had a Maxtor 120GB drive for about 2 weeks now and it had been working fine. Just about an hour ago it no longer allows me to open the drive's directory. I'll open it, it'll sit for about 4 or 5 seconds and I'll the error message stating that Windows Explorer encountered an error and needs to close. This happens every time. I only have mp3's on the drive and I can open them through Winamp and such, but I can't go through the folders. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello. I just got a brand new Fantom Drives Green Drive (1 TB) and when I turn on my computer, it freezes up at the boot sequence when the drive is left on (it has a power switch and doesn't turn off automatically w the computer). When I turn the drive off it will boot up fine, then I have to turn it on and have the computer reread everything, which I hope I don't have to do every time. I sent an email to the technical support and they told me to make sure the BIOS settings is not set to boot to USB, so I changed that and it worked fine for a couple of times, but now it's doing it again. They said to consult the motherboard manufacturer (it's a D865PERL), but I thought ask to see what you guys thought. I appreciate any advice.

A:New external hd causing comp to not boot properly

Normally if you save the Bios setting in which you have elected to boot the internal hard disk before the USB disk then your problem should never happen.

However pulling the USB disk in and out can upset/change the Bios setting in some motherboards so every time the system doesn't boot check your Bios's booting queue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-external-hd-causing-comp-to-not-boot-properly.810868/
Relevancy 47.73%

Alright, I've been trying to find anyone with a similar problem, tried some different things but none worked.
I have a jack on the side of the laptop as usual, where I plug my headphones which do work perfectly. The laptop's internal speakers also work. The problem comes when I try to plug in external speakers. So far I've tried 3 sets, 2 of them with a jack plug and one with a normal USB plug. The issue is with all 3 that only one half works properly, the other is very quiet and distorted. I've also tried streaming sound onto my phone and plugging the speakers into the phone itself, but same deal as before.

Is it a hardware issue? If yes, why do headphones and the internal speakers work?

If anyone has any ideas I'd be thankful.

I'm running windows 10 home 64bit on a Lenovo y500

A:Can't get external speakers to work properly on laptop

It is common to find that different jack plugs have slightly different sizes and tolerances, and some connect better than others, and also that the sockets on laptops are subject to wear, and will lose some connectivity with one or both channels. If you can find an adapter - with a short length of cable for strain relief, and preferably an angled male plug connector - that fits well to both to the laptop and headphones, but also to external speakers, that may be a solution.

Some audio control panels allow for output to other sockets, if the audio chip is capable - for instance not only the headphone jack but also the microphone jack, which may be less worn, and may be a better connection for your speaker jacks - at the loss of an external microphone connection. This may not be an option on some laptops.

Otherwise, the socket on the laptop may need to be replaced or adjusted so that the contacts connect all of your plugs equally well - a delicate job best performed by a qualified repair technician. Laptop motherboards are quite flimsy, and movement of the jack through strain on the headphone cable etc., can cause board cracking and solder joint or copper trace failures.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/43533-cant-get-external-speakers-work-properly-laptop.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I have an Asus laptop (X83vb-x1 Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0ghz 4gb 250gb) with Vista Home Premium 64 and have purchased a 22" external monitor (AOC Envision L22W861) to facilitate movie watching, however, there's an issue. When I attempt to play DVD movies on my external monitor, the movie itself will show up very very light - almost white - on the external monitor, even though the rest of the screen shows up properly. If I play the movie on the laptop monitor, there is no issue. I use Windows Media Player, and have also tried VLC with no luck.

Does anyone know how I might fix this? Thank you!

A:External Monitor won't Show DVD Movies Properly

Most of the laptop computers have to have the fn key with another key like one of the function keys pressed in order to recognize the other monitor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-monitor-wont-show-dvd-movies-properly.834787/
Relevancy 47.73%

In device manager the Seagate backup drive is working properly however in file read drive not hard is External properly being explorer it shows up as Drive I on one computer Windows desktop nbsp and DBR Boot J on the windows laptop I cannot open it or access any files nbsp It seems to have been migrated by Windows Really need to access the documents on the drive Here is what was in the log Can you help Log Name nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Configuration Source nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp PM Event ID nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Task Category None Level nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Information Keywords nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp User nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp SYSTEM Computer nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp kensu Description Device USBSTOR Disk amp Ven Seagate amp Prod Backup Desk amp Rev NA JPWQ amp was migrated Last Device Instance Id USBSTOR Disk amp Ven Seagate amp Prod Backup Desk amp Rev NA JPWQ amp Class Guid d e -e - ce-bfc - be Location Path External hard drive is not being read properly Migration Rank x Present false Event Xml lt Event External hard drive is not being read properly xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt nbsp lt System gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP quot Guid quot C A - - D-ABD -E C quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt EventID gt lt EventID gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Version gt lt Version gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Level gt lt Level gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Task gt lt Task gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Correlation gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Channel gt Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Configuration lt Channel gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Computer gt kensu lt Computer gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Security UserID quot S- - - quot gt nbsp lt System gt nbsp lt EventData gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot DeviceInstanceId quot gt USBSTOR Disk amp amp Ven Seagate amp amp Prod Backup Desk amp amp Rev NA JPWQ amp amp lt Data gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot LastDeviceInstanceId quot gt USBSTOR Disk amp amp Ven Seagate amp amp Prod Backup Desk amp amp Rev NA JPWQ amp amp lt Data gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot ClassGuid quot gt D E -E - CE-BFC - BE lt Data gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot LocationPath quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot MigrationRank quot gt x lt Data gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot Present quot gt false lt Data gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot Status quot gt x lt Data gt nbsp lt EventData gt lt Event gt

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a103644e-2558-4693-b894-76bc9b9236af/external-hard-drive-is-not-being-read-properly?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi I installed hard drives using a caddy in my laptop SSD for the OS and HDD for data Every once in a while once a year id say I still need the DVD drive so I bought an external DVD enclosure Generic The problem right now is that windows doesn't recognize it or rather doesn't recognize it correctly On windows pro x here is a pic of the device manager ok so windows recognizes it a a disk drive automatically changed it manually to optical drive and adds a portable device WPD FileSystem Volume Driver The drive appears in My computer but empty What Iv tried - chose manually all available drivers from windows in update driver - disabled power management on usb - other usb port computer on win bits - using a power cable instead of enclosure DVD Laptop working properly not external the usb power cable - google search for drivers using the device id USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC amp PROD EXTERNAL amp REV amp anything else I can try thanks

A:Laptop DVD external enclosure not working properly

Did you try going into the BIOS to see how it recognized it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/237987-laptop-dvd-external-enclosure-not-working-properly.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hey Guys nbsp We're having problems with external displays on the ZBook Thunderbolt docking stations nbsp nbsp More often than not when we connect the ZBook Studio G s Usually powered off to the ZBook Dock w Thunderbolt and nbsp press the power button on the dock my notebook boots up with maybe one display detected correctly at the right resolution and the other display either not detected at on recognized Z Book not Displays being properly Do... External all or detected as only capable of x nbsp I've tried the following nbsp -Docking while computer is already on logged in Usually much worse results -Using different models of monitors ZR w E k E Z n -Disabling 'auto-port select' modes on displays -Updaing drivers to latest for video computer dock etc nbsp This 'hassle' results in about a - minute dance of docking redocking unplugging monitors rebooting pulling power cords every morning trying to get both of my displays to work nbsp Sometimes I can get them to work but nbsp then External Displays not being recognized properly on Z Book Do... I can't get my USB keyboard to work Joy nbsp Any advise or solution for resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp

A:External Displays not being recognized properly on Z Book Do...

Looks like there is a new bios (1.08A1) and Intel Video driver (20.19.15.4444 A9) since I last checked... will try this and report back I guess.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/External-Displays-not-being-recognized-properly-on-Z-Book/td-p/5642032
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi there I hope someone can help me The other day my labtop keyboard went wonky it moved internet pages when I typed locked my microsoft word files and eventually would not let me type my password to get into my account I thought I had a virus so I did a system restore succesfully and backed up all my files to an external hardrive It worked fine until I turned it off Upon the reboot I had the same problem so I decided to just scrub my harddrive from (internal/external) don't properly work my keyboards scratch and start all over to eliminate the potential of a virus I did this successfully but when I my keyboards (internal/external) don't work properly go to type in a user name and password for my my keyboards (internal/external) don't work properly windows the keys don't work and the B key takes me back one page In order to rule out the keyboard I plugged in an external keyboard Same problem the keys don't work but the B key takes me back one page to the microsoft licensing agreement Is my hardrive corrupted or is there a keyboard function that may be causing this Any response would be greatly appreciated cheers Ps using windows vistas toshiba A-

A:my keyboards (internal/external) don't work properly

Can you check you Device Manager for any warnings (yellow exclamation points) next to 'Keyboards' (click on the arrow next to it to expand if necessary)
Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. In the Computer Management window, select 'Device Manager' on the left and look for any warning signs.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-keyboards-internal-external-dont-work-properly-563327.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Im traveling for several months without a laptop I have seagate TB external HD s for photo backups tons of DSLR RAW photo data Ive been using internet cafes and hotel computers to copy mem cards to these OS's fails external older HD then 8 windows to read properly on HDs without issues for months now on a variety of older computers usually running windows XP XP pro In the last week whenever I plugin either HD into a computer with Windows XP or Vista the drive fails to recognize saying it quot The disk in drive E is not formatted quot I external HD fails to read properly on older then windows 8 OS's thought I had lost the data but I was able to try it on a laptop with windows and the drives come up just fine with all my data in tact Im having this same external HD fails to read properly on older then windows 8 OS's issue with a usb memory stick as well as an SD card All of these drives are formatted EXFAT not sure about the SD card formatting Its quite hard to find computers in SE Asia with the latest great windows OS so just using windows computers is not a viable option for me Any ideas what could be going on or how I can get older OS s to read the drives again thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

My brother gave me How One Maxtor External do Properly? Touch my I use Hard Drive his older Maxtor Hard Drive the One Touch but he threw tha manual away it gave with this quot base quot or plastic How do I use my Maxtor One Touch External Hard Drive Properly? thing that would let the maxtor stand And I am not sure if I am suppose to attack this hard drive with the stand I think it is inconvenient because I bring my hard drive to different places Here is a Maxtor One Touch laying down http www erenumerique fr images stockage maxtor-pers jpg Here is a Maxtor One Touch with a base stand and standing http www lordpercy com maxtoronetouch jpg So here are How do I use my Maxtor One Touch External Hard Drive Properly? some questions What is the propery way to use my One Touch a I must always use it standing up with a stand b I could use it standing up or laying down doesn t matter even if the Disk s are verticle or parrallel to gravity How do I properly turn off the External Hard Drive a Safely Remove Plug and Play b Or I could just press the off button c dont do ANYTHING ur hard drive will die just turn off computer then turn off the drive How come everytime I add and remove data copy and paste and I wait a few seconds to make sure the drive isn t active I can t safely remove hardware Is it better to keep the external hard drive on all day or turn it off after each use what happens if I keep on turning it on and off because I keep on saving backup data every hours Thanks for any help I can get man nbsp

A:How do I use my Maxtor One Touch External Hard Drive Properly?

If you copy data data to it regularly leave it on.
If you only use it once a day,just turn it on then turn it off.

Use the "Safely Remove" hardware icon,or
if it`s got a power switch use that.

It will work vertically and horizontally.

Don`t bang it,or submerse it in boiling acid.

Manual HERE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-use-my-maxtor-one-touch-external-hard-drive-properly.75737/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a desktop running Win XP Home SP with CDRW DVD-ROM and floppy drives I correctly/not Drive properly-HELP DVD+/-RW External being recognized not will install bought an external DVD -RW Drive of the following make and model quot MegaSTOR -in- x x External USB DL DVD -RW Drive quot When I first plugged the drive in to the USB port and powered it on the plug amp play dialogue box came up from the icon tray saying that it recognized it as a quot Mass storage device USB quot but then it said that quot the device was not properly installed and External DVD+/-RW Drive will not install correctly/not being recognized properly-HELP may not function properly quot I then attempted to access the drive but it was not being recognized in my burning app or the windows explorer External DVD+/-RW Drive will not install correctly/not being recognized properly-HELP file tree The drive also came with a driver install disk which is only supposed to be needed for External DVD+/-RW Drive will not install correctly/not being recognized properly-HELP win k and win but at that point I tried installing it any way I then rebooted but it made no difference Drive is still not recognized I have six USB ports in the front and in the back I have tried it on all of them I normally have a printer keyboard mouse digital camera and a web cam that all work fine on the USB ports This is the first piece of hardware that has not worked on one of the ports What kind of damage could my USB ports have Does anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong or what type of issue I may be dealing with Any helpful ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:External DVD+/-RW Drive will not install correctly/not being recognized properly-HELP

Hi

This link may help, on page 3

You may need to cut and paste it to your address bar

http://www.mdmm.com/support/docs/FAQ%20-%20Optical.pdf

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-dvd-rw-drive-will-not-install-correctly-not-being-recognized-properly-help-50345.html
Relevancy 47.3%

This is a recent problem. I have a Toshiba Canvio external drive, not SSD. It's got Bitlocker, so when I turn my PC on or awake from sleep, I have to enter a password to access the drive. Now, if I restart my PC, it works fine. Recently though, when I awaken from sleep, I'll click on the drive to enter the password, and Windows does this eternal loading thing. The address bar in Explorer has that green progress bar moving along, but it never finishes. If I unplug the drive and plug it back in, I can enter the password and access the drive, but after a while it'll start doing to eternal loading thing again. I doesn't seem like it would be the drive; the drive doesn't know whether the PC is freshly restarted or coming back from sleep.

A:External Bitlocker drive not working properly after sleep.

I think it may be an explorer problem. I had the problem with the drive again today after awaking my PC, and tried restarting the explorer process. The explorer UI (windows, task bar, start menu, etc.) is gone, but it won't restart and won't go away when I click "end task"

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65057-external-bitlocker-drive-not-working-properly-after-sleep.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I have an Echo Audiofire4 firewire device, for some reasons I need to constantly switch between Echo and my onboard audio device (realtech sth).
I remember I could do it in the past, but due to the Echo installation problems I disabled it from windows startup menu and now, though I enabled it again, it is not shown plugged-in in "manage audio device window". I prefer not to uninstall Echo driver, it took me so long to installing it after all.
any idea?

A:not plugegd in onboard audio device after disconnecting external audio

I don't know the answer to your problem but I did find a site that might have what you are looking for.

Support - Frequently Asked Questions | Echo Digital Audio

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/289973-not-plugegd-onboard-audio-device-after-disconnecting-external-audio.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have problem with my external mouse and external keyboard. It started about 3 weeks ago. They freeze, jump or shutdown, most annoying is mouse, I need to reconnect it usually. It will work well about 1-5 min and again. Touch Pad works well.

I have installed newest Windows updates, also downloaded and installed drivers from Toshiba web. I set up default BIOS settings. Nothing helped.

I don't have recovery disk to try that. Is there any solution other then recovery/reinstalling system?

Someone had such problem?

A:External mouse and keyboard are not working properly on Satellite Pro C650

Hi

It is not easy to say much about this issue.
Do you use wireless devices? Are batteries OK?
Have you noticed the same problem using other USB devices?
I presume both devices uses USB port on your notebook.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?81491-External-mouse-and-keyboard-are-not-working-properly-on-Satellite-Pro-C650
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,
I have a Lenovo t61 laptop with Windows Vista. I have a western digital mybook essential edition 250GB which I previously used with my old laptop which ran XP. When I safely remove the hard drive, the computer gives me the message that the hard drive has been succesfully disconnected, however the ring light on the external hard drive remains on. Ideally, this light should go off once I have disconnected the hard drive.
I have have tried using the Western Digital Spindown program, but the light still remains on. My only option is to manually turn the hard drive off, which the manufacturer says not to do.
What can I do so that the external hard drive disconnects properly?
Thanks

A:Vista doesn't properly disconnect external hard drive

Does your hard drive have a separate power source/cord? I don't know about the 250G drives, but the 500G MyBookI have is powered by a cord (rather than the USB port). And even if I disconnect the drive from the PC, the light on mine stays on until the power itself is cut off.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-doesnt-properly-disconnect-external-hard-drive.748206/
Relevancy 46.44%

I recently moved my computer to a new office space and had to disconnect my external hard drive which is a Western Digital My Book WD Upon reconnnecting it that does not Drive is disk XP "make ins recognize properly the sure External to the computer Windows XP suddenly does not recognize the drive The drive does not appear on quot My Computer quot nor do any of my links to the drive or shortcuts appear When I click on my shortcuts I receive the following message quot Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available quot I ve researched numerous solutions and one of them worked I removed all of the USB cables from the computer and hard drive and then in XP does not recognize External Drive "make sure that the disk is properly ins exact sequence connected the power to the My Book connnected the USB cable to the computer and re-booted Upon rebotting the computer suddenly recognized the drive and I opened up various folders and all of my information was still intact Viola It worked Just to make sure all of my files were intact and to cofirm that the My Book was working properly I opened various files and thought the issue was resolved but here is where it get confusing and where I could you use advice Everything was going fine until I hooked up my iPod to download some new songs from my external hard drive After launching iTunes I went to click on a song but iTunes would not play the song and gave me an error message that the folder file was missing asking me if I would look for it It took me to the exact folder in my hard drive where my media files are located and to my suprise the folder was empty What is a mystery is that it appears everything was working fine until I hooked up this iPod and launched iTunes Now the external drive just sits there in idle mode and the computer does not recognize it So I re-booted my computer hoping that this would solve the problem but now the computer does not even recognize the hard drive at all and I m back to square one Upon launching iTunes I receive a message that the default location for my folders cannot be found or created There clearly is nothing wrong with the hardware so I reasonably assume that there must be some kind of connection issue involving the cables or a software problem What is going on and what am I doing wrong Can someone help me troubleshoot this mystery nbsp

A:XP does not recognize External Drive "make sure that the disk is properly ins

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-does-not-recognize-external-drive-amp-quot-make-sure-that-the-disk-is-properly-ins.719370/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

I have 1 HDD connected to one USB 3.0 Port. When I connect a second HDD to another USB 3.0 Port, windows automatically Disconnects/Reconnects the First HDD.
I can listen the Motor of the HDD going down, exactly as if I removed the Power Supply.
This is not good. It will result in Damage of the HDD, probably with Head Crash.

How to prevent this "brute force" disconnecting?
Thank you

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/59937-brute-force-disconnecting-usb-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I'm running Windows Vista and I am trying to run a seagate external harddrive. The device manager says its working properly, the drivers are up to date, etc. but when I go into my computer it is not showing up. The harddrive is unformatted- I use it on both Macs and PCs.

A:External Harddrive "Working Properly" but not in browser

If the hard drive is unformatted, then it wouldn't show up in my computer. You need to format the hard drive. Right click my computer and go to manage. In the Management console go to disk management and format your hard drive. If you say you use it on both macs and pcs, then it is formatted and you can try to assign it a drive letter. If it's formatted for Mac, you'll need to install MacDrive or something similar to access the files.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/236282-external-harddrive-working-properly-but-not-browser.html
Relevancy 39.56%

I have no idea what my sister and her friends were doing on the comp for a couple of days that i decided not to use it but now - a few programs take forever to load or don t load at all but they do show up under the processes tab in doesn't work, recov. down properly, can't not shut properly, starting etc.. Apps sys. the task manager - after pressing Ctrl Alt Del the task manager icon appears in the system tray but the thing only shows up a minute later - my system recovery is quot not able to protect my computer quot and restarting does nothing - actually when restarting or shutting down Windows it stops at where it only shows my desktop background and cursor which is still able to move and nothing else after that so i have to hold the power button and force it to shut off - when Apps not starting properly, sys. recov. doesn't work, can't shut down properly, etc.. I right click the desktop and click on quot Properties quot or something similar to this action it doesn t show up at all and whenever I try Apps not starting properly, sys. recov. doesn't work, can't shut down properly, etc.. to open any application after that they don t even load at all either Things i ve tried to get rid of these problems - Virus scan with avast a couple viruses found and fixed but nothing changed - disk clean up nothing changed - registry clean nothing changed - CURRENTLY defragging my C drive hope something changes Anyone know what the heck s going on Apps not starting properly, sys. recov. doesn't work, can't shut down properly, etc.. Anyone got any suggestions on what to do next Anything helps and would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Apps not starting properly, sys. recov. doesn't work, can't shut down properly, etc..

no replies yet?

anyway, just stopped by to say that when shutting down, it takes forever to get to the "Saving your settings..." screen, and that's where I decided that it stops and nothing else after that.
Defragged my C drive, still no results besides the computer feeling a bit smoother-running o_o

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/apps-not-starting-properly-sys-recov-doesnt-work-cant-shut-down-properly-etc.772770/
Relevancy 39.56%

I properly open down or horse, shut trojan properly virus, windows wont redirect am new here but here goes I have a sony laptop and i have AVG virus protection When i scan avg tells me there is a couple of trojan horses infected but it says they are unaccessable so cant be fixed When i boot windows it gives me the black screen asking if i want safe mode etc I pick open normally and it will boot When i try to shut it down it gives me a blue screen telling me that there is an internal power problem and then it re-boots windows Tho it will randomly shut down no matter what i am doing My browser also is very slow now and re-directs and pop-ups are common the browser will freeze randomly also I had chrome and ie but i have deleted chrome thinking it may contain the problem but now ie is doing the same thing I have tried to restore but that didnt work and now windows has deleted trojan horse, redirect virus, windows wont shut down properly or open properly most of the restore points HELP

A:trojan horse, redirect virus, windows wont shut down properly or open properly

Hello,Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/393837/trojan-horse-redirect-virus-windows-wont-shut-down-properly-or-open-properly/
Relevancy 39.13%

ok so i got a new compaq pc and my old polkaudio speakers wont work! does anyone no what the problem is? i no that they are connected properly, and the volume is cranked to the fullest and all sounds still play quietly. the speakers worked properly on my old pc though.

A:speakers not working properly, sound is very low, connected properly, please help!

I think...

1.You may have accidently adjusted you sound configuration settings.
2.You may not have the correct sound Drive (Or none at all). If so check your sound card and browse the web for installable driver (The acctual drivers don't cost anything)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/speakers-not-working-properly-sound-is-very-low-connected-properly-please-help.66605/
Relevancy 39.13%

I m afraid due to the nature of the problem I can t be that specific on what exactly is going on but I ll do the best I can Earlier this morning I shut down my computer after it had been converting some files and then started it back up again when during properly now unmount did Hardrive mount will not properly shutdown, not I officially Hardrive did not unmount properly during shutdown, will not mount properly now woke up minutes or so later All was going well until I clicked my User name in the login screen at which point it showed my desktop wallpaper and the mouse but then just sat there not loading any icons or the toolbar I then tried starting it up again but this time didn t even get to the login screen only a grey screen after the XP loading screen Safe Mode was the next option but it froze yet again while trying to start up in Safe Mode Next up was to try recovery from the XP installation disc but that froze during loading as well Luckily I have a couple Ubuntu discs lying around so I started into a Live session of Ubuntu which I m in right now to see if I could figure out what the problem was Ubuntu could not mount my hard drive and when I tried to force mount it I got the message - LogFile indicates unclean shutdown WARNING Forced mount reset LogFile fuse failed to access mountpoint media disk No such file or directory FUSE mount point creation failed Unmounting dev sda At this point I m more or less at a loss as to what to do Am I recoverable or is this hard drive gone for good nbsp

A:Hardrive did not unmount properly during shutdown, will not mount properly now

When it doesn't work in Ubuntu either, that is a pretty good indication the hard drive is shot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hardrive-did-not-unmount-properly-during-shutdown-will-not-mount-properly-now.645843/
Relevancy 36.98%

I am running Windows XP Home v SP My IE will not open it just flashes and closes I have tried running with no add-ons repairing reinstalling and installing newer version all with the same results My WMP is Windows setup will ver... IE Player properly Flashes/Closes, and running Media missing, properly, not Windows Notepad not updating not able to be updated attempts to update and freezes Also unable to install newer version successfully As of a while ago my Notepad application seemed to just disappear When Windows updates it always seems to hang up before completing and is also running increasingly more sluggish Some Windows applications like System Info among others will not open I have run all sorts of virus spyware scans and have found traces of Virtumonde and Smitfraud on my system I have also had the Windows Security Antivirus - prompt pop on me a while IE Flashes/Closes, Windows Media Player will not setup properly, Notepad missing, Windows not updating properly and running ver... back Any help would be greatly appreciated I have tried to research what I can for so long I have forgotten where I am at in all this Anthony

A:IE Flashes/Closes, Windows Media Player will not setup properly, Notepad missing, Windows not updating properly and running ver...

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.34) and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen:Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.Exit MBAM when done.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes. Click this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it.Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and rename it to mysetup.scr.Change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.Then double-click on mysetup.bat to run.If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.Right-click on mbam.exe and rename it to myscan.Change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.Then double-click on myscan.scr to run.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/205201/ie-flashescloses-windows-media-player-will-not-setup-properly-notepad-missing-windows-not-updating-properly-and-running-very-sluggish/
Relevancy 36.98%

okay so I'm trying to install a new copy of Win onto my machine i usually have my main drive as a RAID setup of two WD Gb sata HDD's the problems first started upon first attempt BIOS recognized my RAID windows also recognized my RAID with full capacity install went great until it was time to shutdown win for the first time shutdown went fine but upon booting up it said the propper boot media was missing or something properly, may be properly one not installing recognized not HDD the only way i could get it to boot was with the install DVD not installing properly, one HDD may not be recognized properly in the drive well i figured that i simply messed up so i repeated everything with the same results times then i decided to disable my raid so i deleted the RAID setup set the BIOS into AHCI and started the install process only this time not all of my seperated drives were recognized only ONE of the TWO gb drives was noticed i tried everything i unplugged and replugged all the cables to both drives with no luck of changing anything i am not sure what happened but something is terribly wrong and i can't seem to figure it out i'm currently creating a linux to boot up and see if linux will see the drive and see if maybe there was something left on there that is messing it up any advice would be much appreciated this is becoming a very frustrating win reboot thanks Covert

A:not installing properly, one HDD may not be recognized properly

UPDATE:
okay so i booted off the linux live disk and it sees my hard drive just fine. no hidden partitions or anything, it offers to install on the drive and i see 500.1gb on it so i know nothing is missing or hidden

any help would be much appreciated since this SEEMS to be a windows 7 isolated issue for me

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/237377-not-installing-properly-one-hdd-may-not-recognized-properly.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello People Im in need of your expertise here are a few scans i ran I hope these can help you tell what my problems are ComboFix doesnt start slow Nero properly work doesnt properly is always comp - - - uuurbody - - - NTFSx Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - Running from E Documents and Settings uuurbody Desktop ComboFix exe - REDUCED FUNCTIONALITY MODE - Other Deletions I Autorun inf Files Created from - - to - - - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- E Documents and Settings All Users Application Data Nero - - - - --a------ E WINDOWS Irremote ini - comp is slow Nero doesnt work properly doesnt always start properly - - - lt DIR gt d-a------ E Documents and Settings All Users Application Data TEMP - - - - --a------ E WINDOWS system xvidcore dll - - - - --a------ E WINDOWS system xvidvfw dll - - - - --a------ E WINDOWS system xvid ax - - - - -----c--- E WINDOWS system dllcache ntoskrnl exe - - - - -----c--- E WINDOWS system dllcache ntkrnlmp exe - - - - -----c--- E comp is slow Nero doesnt work properly doesnt always start properly WINDOWS system dllcache ntkrnlpa exe - - - - -----c--- E WINDOWS system dllcache ntkrpamp exe Find M Report - - --------- d-----w E Documents and Settings uuurbody Application Data Free Download comp is slow Nero doesnt work properly doesnt always start properly Manager - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system drivers kmxcfg u k - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system drivers kmxcfg u k - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system drivers kmxcfg u k - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system drivers kmxcfg u k - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system drivers kmxcfg u k - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system drivers kmxcfg u k - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system drivers kmxcfg u k - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system drivers kmxcfg u k - - --------- d-----w E Program Files Common Files Ahead - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system win k sys - - --------- d-----w E Documents and Settings All Users Application Data DVD Shrink - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system drivers srv sys - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system wininet dll - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system ntoskrnl exe - - ----a-w E WINDOWS system ntkrnlpa exe - - --sh--r E WINDOWS system winprotect exe Reg Loading Points Note empty entries amp legit default entries are not shown REGEDIT HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Run quot BgMonitor E - C C- d f- C - D A B AA quot quot E Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exe quot - - quot ctfmon exe quot quot E WINDOWS system ctfmon exe quot - - quot Free Download Manager quot quot D Free Download Manager Free Download Manager fdm exe quot - - HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Run quot cctray quot quot E Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite cctray cctray exe quot - - quot QOELOADER quot quot E Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Spam QSP- QOELoader exe quot - - quot CAVRID quot quot E Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Virus CAVRID exe quot - - quot cafwc quot quot E Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Personal Firewall cafw exe quot - - quot capfasem quot quot E Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Personal Firewall capfasem exe quot - - quot capfupgrade quot quot E Program Files CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Personal Firewall capfupgrade exe quot - - quot SunJavaUpdateSched quot quot E Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot - - quot ISUSPM quot quot E Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService ISUSPM exe quot - - quot NeroFilterCheck quot quot E Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NeroCheck exe quot - - quot AGRSMMSG quot quot AGRSMMSG exe quot - - E WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe quot NWEReboot quot quot quot BU quot Windows Protector quot quot winprotect exe quot - - E WINDOWS system winprotect exe HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion RunServices quot Windows Protector quot quot winprotect exe quot - - E WINDOWS system winprotect exe E Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs Startup Mozilla FirefoxMozilla Firefox Safe Mode lnk - D mozilla firefox e... Read more

A:comp is slow Nero doesnt work properly doesnt always start properly

ComboFix logs should not to be posted outside the HijackThis forums. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.Please create a new topic explaining the nature of your problem in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.Thank you for using BleepingComputer as your malware removal source.I will have a moderator close this topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/177729/comp-is-slow-nero-doesnt-work-properly-doesnt-always-start-properly/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hey, well when I'm on Windows Live Messenger, it keeps disconnecting a lot and it's very annoying for me and my conatcs, I am connecting to the internet using a Wireless G Linksys Router, can someone help me?

Thanks

Relevancy 32.68%

Can someone tell me why all of a sudden I get kicked off line? Especially when I go to my e-mail after being on line for a while?

Relevancy 32.68%

hi im connected to a belkin wireless internet and i own it.within a couple of days i get disconnected from it for like 1day.im wondering should i go into
"setup and configuration" menu and do something in mac address or ....?

Relevancy 32.68%

I m novice to networking still but I turned on the switch all switchports are in vlan Which has a IP of This is a home lab hooked up to my regular network Anyways I set a password and login through line vty Transport input all Set the default-gateway All seems to be ok Up Disconnecting SSH and running I used Tera Term to telnet to it and it said connection timed out So I SSH Disconnecting tried SSH and it rompt me for password typed it in and pressed enter and SSH Disconnecting it immiedetly closed I thought it was just a program crash So I reopened the program SSH again and it said quot connection refused quot Ok so try telnet and now it s saying connection refused also If I do it times it might let me in SSH Disconnecting once but as soon as I press enter it crashes I can ping it so I know its up Any ideas would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 32.68%

For somereason since I installed my Belkin Wireless G router my aim get disconnected every 5 to 10 minutes? even on the computer that is wired to it. the firmware is up to date and everything is there just something dumb I am missing? never had this problem since I hooked the comp up to a router =( help a newbie out lol

A:My aim keeps disconnecting?

Might seem completely irrevelant for me to ask this, but are you using Trillian? Both my work PC and one of my home PCs were having issues with AIM recently (yesterday at home and today at work) and I then upgraded to Trillian 3.1 (I had 3.0) and it installed updated stuff for AIM, now the problem is gone.
So if you did this recently, it may not be your router.

If you don't use trillian, then disregard what I just said.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-aim-keeps-disconnecting.34641/
Relevancy 32.68%

My PC is connecting to my router through a Wireless N USB adapter. It always disconnects causing me to restart my PC in order to get back online with it.

I know it's not my router because I connect my laptops through my router also.

This happens all the time and is really annoying. Please help.

Tommy

Relevancy 32.68%

Sorry if I stuck this in the wrong forum I saw Networking and thought it disconnecting...what WAN keeps gives? was the right place My desktop is hooked into DSL service through an Actiontec Gateway router that is wireless capable with a card I bought the card and hooked up my wife s laptop through the wireless and all is good My desktop s DSL line exits the computer enters the router then the other line exits the router and I have it plugged into a female receptacle on a phone line that my father hard wired into the wall jack of my kitchen Recently I WAN keeps disconnecting...what gives? got DirecTV which totally rocks and there is a phone connection necessary to get some of the services So I ran that phone wire around my room behind my desk and got a female splitter that I pulugged into the female receptacle of the aforementioned phone wire Since I ve done that the WAN connection has kept dropping and I have to go in and fix it through the browser by manually reconnecting it I don t know jack no pun intended about phone lines and signals could it be the receptacle is causing all sorts of problems If so is there a solution where I can use the same phone line for both DSL and my satellite TV connection nbsp

A:WAN keeps disconnecting...what gives?

If I understand this correctly, you have a slipter coming out from the wall one to your dsl modem and the other to the direct tv box.You probably need to place a filter on that line some how or just install another wall jack just for the direct tv that way you can place a filter on it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wan-keeps-disconnecting-what-gives.50646/
Relevancy 32.68%

IE7 was disconnecting once a day, I had to reboot to get it to work again.

I was advised here to reset IE7. I did, and now I still get a disconnect, but I do not have to reboot. if I click on a short cut a second time it connects.

If I leave a tab open, it will not disconnect when I go from site to site without any problems.

Again, when I try to go from site to site, I have to go back and click on the desktop icon again, then it will reconnect.

Gary, XP home sp-3

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ie7-disconnecting-again-but-not-as-bad.822607/
Relevancy 32.68%

Model Name MacBook Pro Model Identifier MacBookPro Processor Name Intel Core WoW from Disconnecting/Lag Duo Processor Speed GHz Number Disconnecting/Lag from WoW Of Processors Total Number Of Cores L Cache MB Memory GB Bus Speed GHz Boot ROM Version MBP B SMC Version system f System Version Mac OS X L Kernel Version Darwin Wireless Card Type AirPort Extreme x E x D Wireless Card Locale USA Wireless Card Firmware Version Broadcom BCM xx No references to mbufs or use of rd party software First off i had a problem before about disconnection issues In that case my screen would go black the sound would start skipping and a hard restart would be needed to allow me to do anything That issue was resolved but i thought id include it for background on this issue My problem now is that i will very often be disconnected from the game and sent back to character load screen What ive tried allready is a different router modem combo Wired or wirelessly it does the same thing I get disconnected about any time of day and any place in WoW Though i have noticed i get disconnected fairly often in instances during flights and battlegrounds I dont know if its an issue but i live in an apartment that i can see about - wireless connections on airport So it would seem i have a lot of traffic on my network The Modem that i get from TIme Warner Motorola SBG g nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disconnecting-lag-from-wow.865652/
Relevancy 32.68%

My Vista home premium keeps on disconnecting after a minute,talked to IPS provider and they changed some settings,gave me a new access number,told me to plug directly into phone plate.They claimed that the problem was with phone carrier.Now the IPS provider said it was probably the modem because now when I try to connect to a network I can't.I don't even hear the number being dialed.( I have dial up) Do you think it is the modem?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/295980-keeps-disconnecting-etc.html
Relevancy 32.68%

Whenever I use GAIM or regular AIM it keeps disconnecting, it just started happening a few days ago. Since then i've opened ports 4443, 5190 and it still keeps disconnecting. Last night I was on GAIM and it seemed to stay connected well but I checked again this morning and it kept disconnecing every few minutes. Nothing has changed on my computer since it started to disconnect. Also my internet works fine when all this disconnecting goes on.

A:AIM keeps disconnecting

I narrowed the problem down to when Azuerus is running, it seems to only disconnect when I have azuerus running in the background. Does anyone recieve similar issuses?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/aim-keeps-disconnecting.506917/
Relevancy 32.68%

ok i know i already poseted this somewhere but uh yea it wont stop.

Ok so i have this issue where my internet keeps disconnecting randomly and fast, it keeps clicking on and off. I have a Westell Model 327W and i use a Linksys fast ethernet card v5.
if u need anymore information let me know il get it, i really need to fix this problem , its really anoying.

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/8a8586364673/2347788 thats the line quality test i took , hope it helps.

A:DSL keeps disconnecting - again

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/673613-dsl-keeps-disconnecting.html

Closing duplicate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dsl-keeps-disconnecting-again.681284/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hey I just wanted to know if anyone knew a solution to my problem...
I have windows ultimate 32bit according to my DxDiag...
Ok this is the problem
Everytime i leave my laptop on for a long time the internet keeps disconnecting... I do not know how long i need to be away... but even an hour seems to do the trick sometimes...

Its not the network because my other laptop on XP is working fine with the internet even though this laptop disconnects...
the only way i can get it to work again is by resetting the laptop...
I reset it 3 times today...

Can someone PLEASE help me?

A:Keeps Disconnecting

How do you connect? Ethernet or wireless? If Ethernet, try another cable (they are cheap, and not very rugged). Try another port on your router, if you using a router.

In Device Manager > Network adaptors, right click on your adapter, select Properties > Power Management and untick in the top box. If that does not help, tick it back.

If it seems to happen after the same time of idleness, say 15 minutes, this might apply: Network Idle Session Time to Automatically Disconnect - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/27620-keeps-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 32.68%

I have disconnecting keeps computers vista XP all connected to the one modem It has been working fine untill one day about a month ago it all of a sudden started to continuously disconnect and reconnect Took a while to figure out what it was but finally found out it was the one XP computer when connected to the modem would make it disconnect and reconnect constantly which effected the other computers If I unplug it s ethernet cable the others work fine I have no idea what it could be I keeps disconnecting ve tried looking at the settings and changing them around and no difference I also have a wireless internet I use for when I take a laptop outside it s a different company as well and if I use that on the XP it works fine I ve also tried using another ethernet cable keeps disconnecting and that doesn t make a difference So the only thing I can think of that it could be is the keeps disconnecting settings of it but I don t know what Does anyone know what could have caused this and if it s fixable nbsp

Relevancy 32.68%

This has been happening for a while now (about a few weeks) and it's been really bugging me. I have no trouble connecting to the internet but experience frequent disconnections that seem to happen at random times (I am unable to find a pattern on when it disconnects). There's one computer connected to the router and another laptop that uses wireless.

The router is a D-Link DIR625. The comp connected to the router uses Windows XP and the other uses Vista.

A:Disconnecting

If the router is losing its connection with the modem look for a firmware upgrade and reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure.

If both computers are losing their connection to the router try the above and also look for wireless interference, especially from another wireless network or a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disconnecting.703812/
Relevancy 32.68%

Randomly my LAN Port on my GA-EX58-UD3R will sometimes become disconected.
It's not my router or modem beacause when I want to fix the error I simply go to device manager and disable and then re-enable the Network Adaptor.

Thing's to note...

1. Ive tried the original driver and latest driver's with the same result
2. This seems to happing when my computer isent doing much. For instace I have never had the LAN go out on me while online gaming.
3. All the power save modes for LAN are off.

Hopefully the pictures below help....

If any one has any ideas what could be causing this it would be greatly appreciated...

A:Lan Keeps Disconnecting

Try this: |MG| WinSock XP Fix 1.2 Download

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/54671-lan-keeps-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 32.68%

I downloaded msn 6.0 and and I randomly signs out. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and that has not helped. I even unistalled and reinstalled 5.0 and the has the same problem now and did not before I downloaded 6.0. I am connected thru a dsl that is allways up so the ISP is not the problem I believe. I have the same problem with another machine on the same network both are running windows xp. The other machine that is win 98 and 5.0 stays connected untill you disconnect. It does not seem to be an idle problem since it will disconnect when I am using MSN.
Any help that you can give me would be greatly appricaited

A:MSN 6.0 Disconnecting

Hi I have the exactly same problem, it keep logginf me off both in 6.0 and 5.0. Please help us.....I'm also behind an DSL
Jesper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/msn-6-0-disconnecting.156966/
Relevancy 32.68%

hi i got wireless network on my laptop and when i log off it disconnects my wireless connection i need it to stay on the hole time even on the login screen so i can login using a domain is there a way to do that?

Relevancy 32.68%

well ive been putting up with Disconnecting Dsl Keeps this for the last year or so becasue it hasnt Dsl Keeps Disconnecting been that bad or Dsl Keeps Disconnecting so i thought Wen i played online games like Rumble Fighter Counter Strike or ps Wii online ive been told i was lagging i thought they wer just mad but turns out its because my DSL constantly keeps discnecting rapidly ovr and ovr then it will stop for about a minute then it starts disconnecting again Ive updated to the lastest firmware and it made the problem worse I have a Westell Model W Verizon Low Speed internet its actauly pretty decent speed Dsl Keeps Disconnecting and i bought the etherenet card a few years back so maybe i need a new one anyway any help would be greatly apreciated because this is seriously anoying me and its not only wen i play games even im just listening to music or surfing the internet i get the message bubble constantly telling me the cable is disconnected nbsp

Relevancy 32.68%

I'm having problems with my AIM. It's fine, until I open a box to IM someone. It then freezes for a few seconds and shuts down. I have Windows Vista, so there have been a few issues associated with my computer lately, but this has just recently started.

A:AIM keeps disconnecting.

That doesn't sound like a connection problem since you are able to get online on AIM.
Had the same problem once...

The problem might be Mal-Ware on your system.
Try doing a scan on your system for Mal-Ware and Viruses.

Personally, I would recommend 'Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware'.
This program detects all Mal-Ware, Trojans, and even some Viruses.

Good Luck. Hope you get AIM working again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/aim-keeps-disconnecting.910805/
Relevancy 32.68%

Jobo789 said:

Ok, i tried setting the DNS server to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 on the router. It couldn't connect to the internet at all when i did that. I reset it to Automatic and it worked. Then i suddenly lost internet connection but the router was covinced it was still connected. After a quick restart it worked again.
Right now all i've done is set my Ipv4 to that DNS server and disabled my Ipv6 because aparently that wasn't working properly.Click to expand...

I have the N 600 DBl; mine kept disconnecting for the longest time too. Maybe change the channel. I did that, and the DNS, and aloud it though my firewall and I haven't disconnected at all in two weeks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/kept-disconnecting-f.1020988/
Relevancy 32.68%

i have recently bought myself a laptop windows vista, i am connecting to the internet via a wireless belkin router, the internet seems to work ok since i sorted out power settings but msn still wont stay connected is it me or MSN I dont wanna bust me new toy messing about if its not my end LOL

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/msn-keeps-disconnecting.630584/
Relevancy 32.68%

I have a 2Wire 2071-A Modem hooked up to an Asus RX3041 which has a Netgear Wireless Access Point WG602 V3 and a mynetfone VoIP modem connected to it. My speed is : 1.5mb/256kb

I went into the 2Wire settings and put the Router (Asus RX3041) in DMZplus mode, my computer to allow specific programs, and the mynetfone VoIP modem to not allow any inbound traffic.

My problem is that I always seem to disconnect from the internet. When I'm playing Call of Duty 4 or Modern Warfare 2 I get these really long lag spikes and just get disconnected from the server/host. I'm in Windows Live Messenger and it disconnects me while in the middle of a conversation.
Is there any way to fix this?
Anything that can be helpfull would be great.

Relevancy 32.68%

Alright, this is probably the 100th disconnecting thread lol so please bear with me. Basically, in a nice summary, I disconnect from the internet when I go on certain sites on the web and disconnect in some of the games I play when I do "big actions" like changing channels/servers.

I'm not exactly sure of all the info I need to put, but I use a linksys adapter with comcast... if that helps =S I'm not really a computer expert, so someone please who is willing to help, just tell me what I need to do and I shall!!! D=

A:Disconnecting =/

I had the exact same problem and so I removed the router from the equation and connected directly using my modem. Try than and see if it works. You will need to run TP straight cable from the modem to the back of the computers RJ-45 Jack, and then you will need to power cycle the modem (Turning off for about thirty seconds and then turning back on). Try that and see if it helps. Are you using DSL or cable, and if you are using DSL, check the filters? One more question, when you are disconnected are you able to ping websites by their ip address and by their host names, if not I would point towards a DNS issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disconnecting.913937/
Relevancy 32.68%

I don't know if this is a security concern or not, but my laptop yesterday has started disconnecting from my wireless network. All my other (non-Windows) computers on my network are connected fine. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I have checked my internet equipment and everything is connected fine and always ON.

A:Disconnecting

I just ran MBAM and found some pieces of malware in my computer. Their category is classified as Registry Keys. Would this have something to do with it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/95343-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 32.68%

Hey,Since recently my MSN keeps disconnecting and reconnecting me. I don't experience this with any other application that requires a constant internet connection such as online games, or when I'm downloading files.I have ran several malware scans, renewed my host file, updated my ethernet controller drivers, restarted my router, forwarded the MSN ports on my router, and I am still getting nowhere with this. It is really frustrating, and I can sign in and maintain connection to web-based MSN services such as eBuddy, so I don't know what the problem is. Here is a Hijackthis Log:EDIT: Please be patient. There are over 150 unanswered topics in this forum at present and the current average wait time to receive help is 5 days. ~BP

A:MSN Keeps disconnecting

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.We need to create a New FULL OTL ReportPlease download OTL from here if you have not done so already:
Main MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Change the "Extra Registry" option to "SafeList"Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
OTL.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt <-- Will be minimizedAfter downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREBest Regards,oneof4.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/376391/msn-keeps-disconnecting/
Relevancy 32.68%

My computer is a brand new iBUYPOWER 963i,
8 gbs of DDR3 RAM
i5 2500k,
and I suppose the rest is not important to my problem.
The problem is I bought a Rosewill RNX-N180PCe card for it,
and I've been disconnecting like crazy, it's ridiculous, I will disconnect from the internet abour every 30 seconds, and, as you can imagine, its very annoying when gaming. Anyways, I recently moved the desktop to another to see if it would disconnect like this, but it does not. So that brings me down to two things:
1. The router.
2. The placement of the antennas/desktop.
It couldnt be out internet because we have great internet with high-speeds.
Our router is a Cisco WRT120N with firmware version 1.0.07
Any ideas, or am I just going to have to abandon this 800% machine and go back to my ****** laptop?

A:Keeps Disconnecting

can we see an xirrus shot from both the desktops - make sure we know which is which
would you post the following tests when its working OK and then repeat ALL the tests when it disconnects and make sure you also tells which tests posted are for what condition

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

Ping Tests
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste
For your information only
these tests will check various stages of the connection, the first ping test, ping default gateway checks to see if you still have a connection to the router the next two
Ping google.com & Ping 209.183.226.152 tests the connection to internet , one by name and one by number which checks that the dns is workingClick to expand...

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.
http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswif... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/keeps-disconnecting.1059045/
Relevancy 32.68%

I have msn version 8 and so does my friend, but I think my friends msn keeps disconnecting after about 5 minutes can you help.

Thanks Tony,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A:MSN disconnecting

i think there is a glitch in msn as mine and 3 people i know have exactly the same problem

I dont think its a problem we can deal with so i am just waiting to see if it gets fixed-as it is very annoying!!

ps....and we are also having problems transferring files as it either refuses or takes a lifetime

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/msn-disconnecting-148741.html
Relevancy 32.68%

The DSL and internet green light would often blanked out anytime during the day. Almost every time when I wake up.
And when that does happen, I will have to keep unplugging/plugging back the modem and router power plug for the DSL and internet light to come back.

I'm using a DIR-615 and a Motorola modem.
The Motorola modem was provided by a DSL employee when he came to my house in order to fix the internet. My previous modem was malfunctioning.

I've updated my firmware, checked my filters, and cleaned the dust.
So what exactly is going on and is there a solution to this problem?

Thank you.

A:DSL disconnecting often

I would get the ISP to check the line
when the DSL & Internet light go out on the Router - whats the light status on the modem ?

I would connect to the modem and see if that drops the connection

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dsl-disconnecting-often.896133/
Relevancy 32.68%

I couple of months ago I bought a Targus Port USB hub which is powered by the computer and it has never really worked right It is recognized by the computer and everything and sometimes it will work fine hub USB disconnecting keeps for a while but then all of a sudden it will start disconnecting and reconnecting and I have to stop using it for USB hub keeps disconnecting a while I have a brand new HP USB hub keeps disconnecting Pavilion that I only just bought also a couple of months ago around the same time I use my laptop as my main computer with an external display and so I usually have plugged in USB hub keeps disconnecting a wireless mouse a usb keyboard and my iPhone cable but I also have a printer usb cable and usb headphones for gaming which is why I bought the hub But it's kind of hard to use the hub when all of a sudden my mouse stops working or I have the headphones on and the sound just stops Any ideas

A:USB hub keeps disconnecting

Quote: Originally Posted by WhiteDragon777

I couple of months ago I bought a Targus 2.0 4 Port USB hub which is powered by the computer and it has never really worked right. It is recognized by the computer and everything and sometimes it will work fine for a while but then all of a sudden it will start disconnecting and reconnecting and I have to stop using it for a while. I have a brand new HP Pavilion that I only just bought also a couple of months ago around the same time. I use my laptop as my main computer with an external display and so I usually have plugged in a wireless mouse, a usb keyboard, and my iPhone cable...but I also have a printer usb cable and usb headphones for gaming which is why I bought the hub. But it's kind of hard to use the hub when all of a sudden my mouse stops working or I have the headphones on and the sound just stops. Any ideas?

Absolutlely a power problem. USB (5.0 volts) usually can only provide power to 3 or 4 devices add more and the voltage will drop when it does the devices stop working. the cure buy a "Powered" hub that has an AC adapter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/82981-usb-hub-keeps-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 32.68%

I am using an Acer Aspire 5536, running windows 7 and my router is a Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Router, model WNDR3300
Problem: Starting last weekend, all of a sudden my wireless internet seems to have become very unstable, every 5-10 minutes i will lose connection and have to wait a minute or two before it reconnects.

Obviously this can get very frustrating when im playing a game or just surfing the web, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Relevancy 32.68%

Hi,
I'm working on a computer for someone. It runs ME and has a slow Celeron Processor, only 64 mb ram.
Anywho, I installed the drivers for my DSL so I could download and browse the web ect. It started out o.k. but then it disconnected. And it keeps doing it. Sometimes it even disables the internet connection on my modem.
Is this because 3megs is too much for it to handle? I don't get it. I've never had this happen.
I've checked in System and the USB ports all show a-ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time.

A:DSL Keeps Disconnecting

can you post make/model of modem - when it disconnects is this just with IE ??
can you post an ipconfig before and after
TWO Methods

ONE ---------------------------------
start
run
cmd
ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dsl-keeps-disconnecting.448029/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi there Lately my internet connection keep disconnecting on me everytime I keep clicking on Facebook game page I know it s Facebook is the one causing it because I have Laptop running but I only Net disconnecting use one Laptop for Facebook and both Loptop get disconnected Am running Yahoo Messenger and its the first one to get disconnected but the rest of my Net disconnecting chat client sort of just hang Net disconnecting on till my internet stable again Is just that everytime I open facebook page game soon it the page started lagging and once that happened my Yahoo Messenger pager disconnected right away Just happened lately when I started Net disconnecting playing Facebook Hidden Chronicles and times my Laptop crash on me already while am on this game page I don t understand because my Laptop is new and has all the memory I needed and also I have a fast Wifi wireless internet Now if I closed the FB page game everything is ok What do you think is my problem nbsp

A:Net disconnecting

What do you think is my problem?Click to expand...

I cannot analyze your problem, but I fixed the problem that you posted in somebody else's thread instead of starting your own.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/net-disconnecting.1043941/
Relevancy 32.68%

A couple of weeks ago my internet connection began disconnecting and reconnecting several times a day. The disconnects seem to be more frequent when more bandwidth is being used. Every time it disconnects the DSL light on the modem blinks red momentarily, and soon returns to normal. I've tried two different modems and they both do the same thing. I have tried multiple cords with the modem. I contacted AT&T and they said they ran a line test and it looked normal. There are 4 computers sharing this connection and the router is a Linksys WRT54G. This pretty much ruins my online gaming experience and is just a pain when browsing.

Any ideas?

A:AT&T DSL Disconnecting

You might try updating the firmware on the Linksys WRT54G, or get another router like D-Link

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/at-t-dsl-disconnecting.129857/
Relevancy 32.68%

Ok somewon told me to check event viewer. so i did and this is what i got.

The ip address lease (My IP) for the network card with network address 0016blahblahblah has been denied by the dchp server (modems ip) (the dchp server sent a dchpnack message).

Anyone help!?

A:I think i know why ive been disconnecting. Need Help!

I this happened right when i disconnected!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-think-i-know-why-ive-been-disconnecting-need-help.985444/
Relevancy 32.68%

Product : HDD - Seagate, WD and others
Connection : USB

The recommended method to remove a USB-connected HDD is to "Eject" the drive via the USB Icon. When disconnecting certain USB HDD drives the message is displayed "The device is currently in use..... etc... etc.".

Even if the User is careful to shutdown all programs, including File Explorer, the message will still be displayed. If the User then checks process activity via Task Manager, no process activity is reported.

So the question is - What process is reporting that the USB HDD is still "in use" and therefore activating the message, when not even Task Manager shows any process activity...

T.

Relevancy 32.68%

Hey, I'm using OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor TF-20, AMD64 Family 15 Model 124 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2812 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics , 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 140232 MB, Free - 71160 MB;
Motherboard: Acer , Aspire 5532 , V1.08, LXPGX02005948542A61601
Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated and Enabled

Recently I've been having issues keeping a internet connection on my laptop. It only happens when I'm playing games. One minute it will be working just fine, and then the next my button on my computer that flashes orange saying that the wi fi is connected will stop blinking and the internet connection with disconnect. I can re connect right after, and I've reset the internet many times and that doesnt seem to be the problem. Any suggestions or possible, a way to fix would be great.

Thanks

A:Disconnecting from the Wi-fi

i have closed this post and will move your original post to networking - as pointed out you can report and ask for the post to be moved - but we do not like duplicate posts here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disconnecting-from-the-wi-fi.976714/