Windows Support Forum

HP Recovery Manager Crashes when I try to make Recovery Medi...

Q: HP Recovery Manager Crashes when I try to make Recovery Medi...

I am on Windows 10, and for the past couple months I have had booting/BSOD errors that usually give me "bad_system_config_info" and occasionally, "0xc000021a ". Sometimes, I have been able to boot in by accessing the UEFI settings, other times it seems like it just randomly decides to let me log in to my computer normally. When I am able to login, I check for viruses and I haven't found any, as well as run commands like "sfc/scannow", "chkdsk", or "bootsect". I am trying to recreate recovery media via the HP Recovery Manager, but each time I insert the empty flashdrive, the Recovery Manager suddenly crashes. Please, any response to these combined issues would be greatly appreciated, I haven't been able to use this laptop regularly for months now.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-Recovery-Manager-Crashes-when-I-try-to-make-Recovery/td-p/5757604
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: HP Recovery Manager Crashes when I try to make Recovery Medi...

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 22.79%

Every 10 seconds audio manager will set the volume on my mic to 0 and mute it I have already tried to uninstall it and reinstall it but no result.
It may be malware but I am not sure as of yet. Would really appreciate help right now.

A:Realtek Audio Manager Mic Problem

Problem Solved, As suspected it was malware. To fix this launch task manager, then go to start up, go through the list if something dosn't have a icon or dosn't seem to fit in right click and open its file location. If you are definite that it is malware disable it, restart go to the file location and delete all the files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-audio-manager-mic-problem.216938/
Relevancy 24.08%

I m writing this post because this was asked so many internal speakers together your Make external & laptop play times over but nobody seems to have come up with a good answer People suggested Make your laptop internal & external speakers play together some trials of paid programs but that Make your laptop internal & external speakers play together s not really an everyman solution I don t know on how many machines my workaround will work depends on the audio chip I m going to tell you how to do this in foobar My system is Win I think that this will work only if you see something like this in your Playback devices right-click windows audio icon amp select from menu to launch it So if the headphone output is not quot Ready quot when nothing is plugged into it you will maybe be able to use the HDMI output if you feel adventurous or for that matter any output that you have You possibly have no idea why I m talking about that but this will be clear after reading through the rest of my little manual ------------------- download amp install foobar here http www foobar org download play around with it of you don t know the player download amp install the latest ASIO ALL here http www asio all com leave all install options default download ASIO support for foobar http www foobar org components view foo out asio double-click it fb k will install it automatically go to foobar file- gt preferences- gt output- gt asio Check if asio all is visible at the top list You can use the x driver requires foobar restart Add a new channel mapping Don t change the name you won t need it anyway click quot configure quot ASIO ALL window will pop up Enable advanced settings bottom right now there s the icky tricky part Click the next to all and enable all the outputs that you like sometimes the HDMI output is also there What you really need is sth like quot internal speakers out quot and quot HpOut quot On my computer Dell Inspiron R it looks like this IF YOU CAN T SEE TWO OUTPUT DEVICES HERE YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS Sorry everything depends on how your soundcard handles it maybe connecting the headphones will make it appear Try around Click quot cancel quot this was for other outputs to appear Click quot Add new quot Rename it to quot int ext quot or whatever Map lt channel name gt to the Left channel and lt channel name gt to Right you can play with that even build a faux surround with a bit of luck Play test signals if you re not sure where each channel should be On my machine it s like that Click OK Apply then restart fb k and go to file- gt preferences- gt output Select the output ASIO int ext Click OK Play your favorite piece of audio If you did everything correctly you should hear all the outputs together Meaning your internal speakers and the jack-connected headphones or speakers The sound will work ONLY fb k you will have to stop the music to use any other program that outputs sound ASIO overrides Windows output Most music files will work The method is transferable to any program that can support ASIO Leave some feedback if it worked for you Or if it didn t anything s good nbsp

A:Make your laptop internal & external speakers play together

Props to OP - I've found a somewhat related hassle-free solution for desktops with Realtek Audio.

In the settings, you can 'disable front jack detection'. Therefore, speakers connected to the rear panel won't stop when you plug something else in the front.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/make-your-laptop-internal-external-speakers-play-together.191124/
Relevancy 21.93%

I was updating my graphics card drivers for my graphic card PNY GEFORCE GTX 660 and went to device manager, I used ?automatically search for new driver? and a dialog box appeared "Windows has determined that the driver is up to date".
Yet, I went to Nvidia website and did a driver update. I checked again Device manager for my display adapter and the new driver was TWO MONTHS NEWER.
I wonder why that happens.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-is-device-manager-lying-to-me-about-the-last-driver-version-for-my-graphics-card.215610/
Relevancy 20.64%

In a strange turn of events, Nvidia elected to use Epic Games' media event (instead of its own last night) at the Game Developers Conference to reveal its newest flagship graphics card, the Titan X.

Read more

A:Nvidia crashes Epic Games' media event, announces Titan X graphics card

Soo... What are the chances of a 6GB "980Ti" variant? A bit like the 780Ti was to the Titan Black?
Because it would be better for games and a hell of a lot cheaper

If the rumor mill is to be believed, the price is going to be $1,349, Most people who buy this for gaming will have no use of the double precision floating point prowess of the card, and the few that would probably should have spent a couple hundred extra bucks to get a proper Quadro!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-crashes-epic-games-media-event-announces-titan-x-graphics-card.209423/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hey, I'm a new member here with a problem!

I have a pair of Skullcandy Crushers with an arguably great built-in mic that turn on with a press of a button. However I built a new computer a few days ago and installed the latest version of the ASUS Realtek HD Audio manager, and while the audio on the headphones work, the mic refuses to work and isn't even recognized on programs like Skype and Hangouts.

I have tried the front two ports and tinkered with the settings and nothing has worked as of now, please help ASAP!

-Extabyte

A:Skullcandy Crusher mic not working with ASUS Realtek HD Audio Manager

Yeah thats because Skullcandys aren't really built for computers, just iPhone & Android. I had the same issue with my Skullcandy headphones and decided to buy a legit for PC headset. Sorry you spent your money on them!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/skullcandy-crusher-mic-not-working-with-asus-realtek-hd-audio-manager.204154/
Relevancy 24.94%

I bought an HP Pavillion DV6 around 2 years ago. Recently I started gaming but I have been limited to the older games that run better on my laptop. I recently bought The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim off steam because it was on sale for $5 (what a deal!). My laptop hardly runs it on the lowest settings with all other applications closed. The movement is choppy and all around terrible. I was wondering if there are any upgrades I can purchase or any settings I can change in order to make it run a little better? Few details about the computer, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450 CPU @2.50GHz, RAM: 8.00GB, 64bit OS. I really don't know much about computers so I don't know if any of this is relevant... Thanks in advance!

A:Is there anyway to make my laptop run Skyrim better?

With having integrated graphics (not a dedicated graphics card), you will most likely never get Skyrim to play properly. Most Laptop computers cannot be upgraded like desktop computer. You are limited to what the manufacture allows you to upgrade (in your case it is just RAM). If you truly want to play Skyrim on your laptop, I would suggest the following settings for running the game:

Resolution: 1280x720 (if this is still choppy - drop to 1024x768 or 800x600)
Antialiasing : OFF
Anisotropic Filtering: OFF
Texture Quality: MEDIUM
Radial Blur Quality: LOW
Shadow Detail: LOW
Decal Quantity: NONE
FXAA: UNCHECKED
ALL Water (Reflect Land/Trees/Objects/Sky): UNCHECKED

Hope this answers your questions. Let us know how this works out for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-anyway-to-make-my-laptop-run-skyrim-better.207817/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible for a better solution I have been experiencing strange clicking sounds please see link coming from my XFX HD lately or it can XFX PC noise, 4850 temp HD and clicking then High crashes be from PSU I have been using this card since years It XFX HD 4850 clicking noise, High temp and then PC crashes used to be very rare only at bootup but ever since I have started playing Bioshock infinite it has become much more frequent Initially I did not get any problems playing but last time I could only manage hr and then mins before pc crashed Today when I started the pc there was not any of that sound but XFX HD 4850 clicking noise, High temp and then PC crashes after minutes the hideous sound started and after few seconds pc shutdown This happened again and again with shorter time frames Interesting thing is I did not even played the game was only browsing the potential problem on the net Turns out it can either be -Some hindrance in fans spinning -Coil whine -PSU problem I couldn t pinpoint the exact problem I tried listening to it very closely could only guess that it was coming from gpu it also seemed very hot Using GPUz I started monitoring and gpu temp went from - C range to C within minutes before it shut down So it seems gpu is the reason I put a bit of load on gpu by emulating a game in pj during that time I had got my power outlets checked by a voltmeter few days ago the electrician said they were fine My desktop airflow is good never had a high temp problem with my cpu and side of the cover is always open My questions are -Can I underclock my gpu so that it consumes less power -Do I need to install ccc since I haven t earlier -I used an air blower a couple of months ago and also cleaned the gpu with a brush did nt find much dust or any object blocking the fans I can t rma since I had a bad time doing that in the last few times other h w long wait Also I don t have a built in gfx with this build What do you suggest Thanks Link screens and audio http s tinyupload com index php file id GPUZ min max temps Date GPU Core Clock MHz GPU Memory Clock MHz GPU Temperature C Fan Speed Fan Speed RPM RPM GPU Load GPU Temp DISPIO C GPU Temp MEMIO C GPU Temp SHADERCORE C Memory Usage Dedicated MB Memory Usage Dynamic MB VDDC V - - - - Update After I cleaned my pc again with air blower and also the gpu separately tested the system Starting temps were better from c instead of c and biggest difference was the dramatic reduction in fans rpm previously and now - rpm and noise But bad news is during those - mins the gpu temps kept rising again even at gpu load and once I put a bit of load on gpu - via pj emulater it rised to c before pc shutdown again So does it means I have to apply thermal paste too Or can this be fixed if I update the gpu driver Please any solutions suggestions wil be really appreciated nbsp

A:XFX HD 4850 clicking noise, High temp and then PC crashes

I'm having a bit of trouble following (more than likely my fault). What is the GPU fan speed during load?

If the RPM's seem normal, it could be thermal bond in the thermal paste that is broken.
If the fan speed doesn't appear to be normal, the fan itself could be broken.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xfx-hd-4850-clicking-noise-high-temp-and-then-pc-crashes.207299/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi there I m new here hope you can help me out with my problem So over the last couple of weeks I upgraded my I ve had this for about three or four crashes causing parts New years now CPU FX- Mobo Gigabyte GA- A-DS RAM GB MHz x GB GPU RADEON HD GHz Edition PSU W Novatech To CPU FX- Mobo Gigabyte GA- A-DS RAM GB MHz GPU R X MSI GAMING PSU W Novatech New And added in two SSDs New parts causing crashes I also upgraded to Windows Since I upgraded I ve been getting these weird black-screen crashes whereby the lights turn off on the keyboard and there s no response at all from the machine but the fans are still on at full speed I have to then turn the PSU off or unplug it Then I have to wait a few seconds before giving power back to the PSU in order to turn it all back on The first time the crashes happened was when I was playing COD AW and loading a map like Detroit or Recovery After I turned off Preload Shaders Which allows you to load up more information during the loading screen so that you have a smoother experience after it that crashing seems to have stopped So I just thought that was a bug with COD until I started looking at overclocking my CPU I ran Prime just to look at the temps and after a couple of minutes I got the exact same black screen crashes I think it might be the PSU because it s old and technically a value brand but I don t want to fork out on a decent PSU only to find it was my Mobo or CPU all along So yeah any advice would be appreciated nbsp

A:New parts causing crashes

Put your old RAM back in, see if the problem goes away. (Alternatively, run memtest86+ overnight)

Based on what you said, it will be much quicker to swap the RAM back and run Prime95.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-parts-causing-crashes.207343/
Relevancy 40.85%

I had a new PC so I thought I would do a recovery disk on a separate partition of my parent's disk. Turns out windows wipes out everything regardless of partition when it does that. So now lifelong memories are gone and I'm freaking out! I used EaseUS to make different partitions which were deleted. After I found that the partition I chose stayed the same size but was renamed RECOVERY and it had the recovery data in it. However the rest was "unused" and so I dragged the RECOVERY to make full use of the disk and then I started scanning it deeply with hard drive recovery software. I am now through scanning with my 2nd program now (1st one didn't give me the files I needed) and I'm using RecoverMyFiles. The problem is I'm not really getting back any of the files I had deleted by windows, but I get some stupid windows files which were probably deleted in the recovery process!! PLEASE help me!!! I am desperate. Future hanging in balance thank you.

A:Recovering Lifelong Memories from Windows Recovery-Wiped External Hard Drive

There are quite a few programs you could try, I have had most success with Recuva by Piriform, but recently this program was said to be excellent by a user,
http://www.ylcomputing.com/content/view/350/153/
Obviously it's worthwhile trying both of them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-lifelong-memories-from-windows-recovery-wiped-external-hard-drive.207350/
Relevancy 22.79%

HI
I have a lenovo laptop. My laptop suddenly crashes . If it is not used for 1 week and then turned on,it works fine for 2 hours. If we turn on the laptop the next day ,it starts crashing with in 10-15 mins after turning on.
Please help me with this ...

A:Laptop Crashes

There could a list of things causing this. Overheating, Os corrupt, Conflicts in software., Bad battery and so forth. The best way to know if you are not sure is to have a local computer shop check it out. Or try running it in safe mode . If it will and run some test on it. Such as a software to check its temps. A good spyware program to check your os. Also a program to check the hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-crashes.206058/
Relevancy 22.36%

A few months ago my computer started crashing when playing games. The screen would turn either black, white, (or once pink), the fan/fans would max out, and the audio would just change to a loud buzzing sound. This would continue until the laptop was turned off.
Around that time, one of my hard drives was failing. We thought, seeing as it fitted so well, that it was the problem. I've just had the hard drives replaced, and while it was running perfectly for a few days, it has now started to crash again, and far more frequently. Most of the time just after the desktop loads.

I'm currently running in safe mode, and that's perfectly fine. No crashing.
I've tried disabling my audio drivers, and rolling back my video card driver, but with no success. I'm assuming that as safe mode has no problems that it must relate to a driver, or, some software, but I have no real clue what I'm talking about.

My video card is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M, if that's important. No idea what other information to include. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

A:Computer crashes increasingly often

Go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. If there are any .dmp files, select them all and right-click, sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload this folder as file here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-crashes-increasingly-often.205623/
Relevancy 43.86%

I had a drive go south on me, looks like the MBR, MFT, and the backups for them got trashed on the drive after a reboot. The drive itself still is fully operational, and my usual go to software, ZAR, unfortunately is not doing the trick. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to try?

A:Suggestions to recovery from bad MBR/MFT?

I've used a program called testdisk to repair a messed up MFT, it's free.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggestions-to-recovery-from-bad-mbr-mft.204862/
Relevancy 24.51%

I do not want to go over how much it costs now. Another thing I need to mention is that this is a black/blue themed pc.

A:Is this a good gaming rig? give suggestions on how to make it better

What exactly is the Intel Devil's Canyon Bundle? From what I can tell it is not specific parts and can be any number of components. Everything else looks good though, just not sure about the bundle.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-a-good-gaming-rig-give-suggestions-on-how-to-make-it-better.205206/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have a sony SD Card 16gb class 4 card. I did use the card for almost 3 months, when I tried to use it now, I am not able to access the card,

I tried recovery softwares like recova etc to recover the file, but I was not able to recover even a single byte.

I have many importants files in the CARD, PLEASE HELP ME...,.

Thanks

A:Data recovery SD Card not accessible, says incorrect function showing unknown format

I think >>this thread<< could help you out . He seems to have the same problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-sd-card-not-accessible-says-incorrect-function-showing-unknown-format.201611/
Relevancy 19.78%

My laptop had headphones plugged in because I was watching a film but while I was in another room my laptop was knocked onto the floor around - ft drop change mic to a HD audio headphones Realtek port? port a manager, landing on the headphones jack the wire is fine but the ports completely broken I can see cracks and its loose and everything The laptop has Realtek HD audio manager and in my experience of this program on other desktops I ve had I was able to change Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port? what port does what My laptop only has a headphones port and Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port? a mic port and I would like to see if I can switch the mic port to be the headphones port because I never use an external mic however in Realteks audio manager I can t find out how to do this In pictures I ve seen on the internet there is a quot Device Advanced Settings quot button as seen in this picture http www vistax com attachments ealtek-hd-audio-driver-version-hd manager jpg but my program doesn t have this Do I need to download a newer version of the software or is it just not possible to change my mic port to be my headphone port I dont mind if I have to use third party software I just want it to tide me over till I can get it sent away Thanks for suggestions greatly appretiated nbsp

A:Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port?

I doubt very much if this will be possible. The mic and headphone ports are wired directly to the Audio section of the motherboard, there connections cannot be altered.

Your best bet is to get the damaged port repaired.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-hd-audio-manager-change-a-mic-port-to-a-headphones-port.166497/
Relevancy 43%

Hi,

My internal HDD failed due to a sudden power outage. I can hear beeping sounds like the motor is trying to spin the drive up and failing to do so. This drive contains all my important data ( documents, photos and videos), I'm thinking of taking it to a data recovery center, How much would it cost me for a data recovery service? I've been recommended to WeRecoverData data recovery labs by an IT person, Anyone have experience with them? Any help advice? Thanks in advance.

A:HDD beeping. What's the best data recovery option?

Likely thousands. Hopefully in the future you will make backups of important data.

If it was killed by the power outage, you can probably fix it yourself by purchasing the exact same drive on ebay or wherever and swap the PCB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-beeping-whats-the-best-data-recovery-option.201578/
Relevancy 43.43%

What command do I type in Command Prompt if I want to use Last Known Good configuration

A:Laptop recovery issue

Boot into Safe Mode (F8), that's where the option is located

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-recovery-issue.201476/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi every one this is my first thread and I'm having a problem with my laptop so plz help me

there is a strange processes in the task manger called diduytt.exe there is more than one but with the same name I can end all the processes except the last one I cant end it
but after a while these processes start coming up again and my laptop start to heat up and I located
the place of the processes every time I delete it it dose come back again

A:There are strange processes in the task manager

Not sure here but you may have a virus. Have you tried running a virus scan?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/there-are-strange-processes-in-the-task-manager.201364/
Relevancy 33.97%

Yesterday, I started a download and kept the pc on with my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External HDD 1TB plugged in. After I woke up I realized that there was a power cut and the computer went off unexpectadly (I had no UPS or any backup system).And, I found that my Ext HDD was not seen in my computer anymore (It was working perfectly until before I went to bed).
In device manager, under 'Disks' it shows 'GoFlex Hard Disk', but in BIOS or Disk Manager there is no sign of this HDD.

I really need the data in the HDD badly. Please help me recover it.
P.S. I read somewhere that keeping the HDD in freezer might help and give a little more time. Is that true? Worth the risk?

A:External HDD gets detected in Device Manager but not Disk Manager or seen in 'My Computer'

Power outage probably killed something in the enclosure or its PSU. The drive in the enclosure is probably fine. I would remove the drive from the enclosure and put it in a dock or install it in a desktop computer before considering freezing it. Freezing is usually reserved for click of death drives, and a last ditch effort.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-gets-detected-in-device-manager-but-not-disk-manager-or-seen-in-my-computer.201343/
Relevancy 43.86%

Friends and neighbors, last March I had such a system crash that, due to the number of bad HD sectors, I had to replace the HD. The HD with my various tools was not even detectable. My system ran Windows 7 64-Bit and IE9. The computer is an MSI notebook. Anyway, while doing some searching to diagnose another problem, I registered for this site after seeing Puppy Linux, whose page I saved to my Favorites. Having kept the old HD, in case I could salvage any data, is it possible for me to use Puppy Linux on that old HD? Thanks. Your answers will be a great help.

A:Data Recovery Possible?

Hey Louis. We don't know how bad the drive is, but you can try putting the drive in a USB enclosure, formatting it, then install Puppy Linux on it, since apparently Puppy Linux doesn't require a lot of space and can also be run from RAM according to the Wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-possible.200262/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello ?
Recently, I need more speed for my computer.
Basically I want upgrade hardware but I am not expert: I need some advice.
I am using my computer for Computer Animation: Mostly Autodesk Maya.

I am in the middle of learning Animation Part and realize if I am going to use MentalRay with Animation,
I have to wait a long time [I believe].

Currently my computer's spec:
i5 2500K.
ASRock P67 EXTREME 4
8GB of RAM
GTX 560TI of 1GB

Which hardware should upgrade ?

A:I want to make more speed for 3D Tool - mainboard

Budget?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-make-more-speed-for-3d-tool-mainboard.200200/
Relevancy 20.21%

HDD 1 tb Seagate hardisk not working,is not visible in the laptop, can b seen in device manager for 1min then gets disconnected automatically and the light on the hard disk starts blinking

A:HDD hardisk not working,not visible in the laptop,visible in device manager for 1min then disconnect

If the system worked before with this drive, I would say the drive is bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-hardisk-not-working-not-visible-in-the-laptop-visible-in-device-manager-for-1min-then-disconnect.198749/
Relevancy 24.51%

I'm about to buy a 512 gb flash drive and use it strictly for backing up our two desktop computers.I can't see where I would ever need to boot Win 7 from a flash drive, but who knows? What do you think? That large a flash drive...should I make it bootable or not? Also, I think I should partition it into two drives but maybe just creating two backup folders, one for each machine, would be enough. ???

Will appreciate your input.
Wes

A:Flash drive: make it bootable or not?

No, don't make it bootable unless you need to. And no, just... no... don't buy a 512GB flash drive for 'backups'. The performance sucks, it's ultra-expensive... $1000 to be precise.

Or are you getting a $50 ebay one? That's a scam.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-drive-make-it-bootable-or-not.196182/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have 2 gb kingston SD memory card, which is password locked, now I forgot the password, how to unlock it? Plz help me in this regards.

A:SD card Password recovery

Go for Unistal port locker

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sd-card-password-recovery.195633/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello so as the title suggests my game crashes whenever Every for game reason crashes play I no I play any game for like minutes Some games don t even start up When they crash the game freezes and im Every game I play crashes for no reason forced to start task manager and end the process to get back to the desktop my computer does NOT bluescreen The weird thing is my computer runs like its brand new Every game I play crashes for no reason when not playing games I can run many livestreams and render videos very quickly its just the Every game I play crashes for no reason games which crash Specs not included in profile Corsair TX w PSU Arctic cooling freezer for processor Here are some of the solutions I have tried so far to get my games to work again - Reset to factory settings - Malware scan - Virus scan - Registry clean - Stress test on hardware - MEMTEST - clean out inside pc - Validating game cache on steam Its not just steam games that crash its all games - Defragmented my HDD and SSD - Removed any overclocks If anyone has any other ideas please please get back to me ASAP some people have said to unplug the hardware and plug it back in but I didnt know if this was safe Any other ideas are greatly appreciated If you need more info just ask Regards Luke nbsp

A:Every game I play crashes for no reason

Check your CPU temps and voltages. Are you overclocking? You may need to set voltages directly, instead of 'auto'.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/every-game-i-play-crashes-for-no-reason.194836/
Relevancy 43.86%

Dear fellows:
My pc had BIOS breakdown due to unstable electricity.. I took it to a shop, they installed BIOS but it was a wrong version.. The mainboard is D945GCNL but they installed BIOS for D945GCCR.. Everything is working good, except LAN card driver is not installing.. I tried alot to recover it to its own version, but all in vein..
Please help me..

A:BIOS recovery

Have you told the shop that they installed the wrong BIOS?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-recovery.194336/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey I am sorry if I posted in the wrong section I didn t know where to post I just bought a new computer in April and I ve been gaming on Brand To Make Noise PC New Starting it about hours a week since Just recently I noticed a subtle high pitched hum ONLY WHEN I M IN GAME I can go to the main menu and it will stop I Brand New PC Starting To Make Noise have well enough the minimum requirements to play the games I do so it s not like I m trying Brand New PC Starting To Make Noise to overload my PC Could this be a hard drive issue Intel QC i - gb DDR SDRAM Unfortunately I just found out I have a Seagate Barracuda TB SATA Gbs MB Cache RPM Inch Desktop Hard Drive which may be the problem nVidia GeForce GTX Gb Don t know PSU yet sorry Does this sound familiar to anyone I have a year warranty so whatever the problem is I should be able to get fixed I wanted to see if anyone might have an idea of what it could be It s hard to tell where the noise is coming from I m guessing it s either the PSU or H D nbsp

A:Brand New PC Starting To Make Noise

It could just simlpy be your fans speeding up? When I game, as the computer gets hotter the fans in my PC speed up. When in the menu, it cools down so the fans slow down Its just a guess though...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-pc-starting-to-make-noise.192882/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi, so my integrated webcam isn't showing up and I'm trying to confirm whether it's died or not. I know the first step is to go to the manufacture's website, but as an Asus user I wasn't able to find anything to help me solve this problem asides from this model knowledge base.
http://support.asus.com/knowledge.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=225&m=N71Jq&os=&hashedid=hUn2kMS4sU3z3kUV

Here's my Device Manager Data link below (first time using mediafire so let me know if it works)
http://www.mediafire.com/?859fft7ex08dunwz99c1c9b88e7gorp

Model info:
ASUS N71Jq
Windows 7 x64

Thanks so much!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/integrated-webcam-not-appearing-in-device-manager.192438/
Relevancy 24.08%

I built my first computer yesterday and purchased an SSD and a 1TB hard drive. I installed windows 8 on the ssd and I want to have all future installs and whatnot go automatically to my larger drive. However, at the moment my ssd is my (C drive and everything gets installed there. yes I know I get the option of where I want to install things but that gets annoying!

So, how do I make my second (larger) hard drive the place where everything is installed there automatically?

A:How do i make my second hard drive the default storage location?

Here you go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-make-my-second-hard-drive-the-default-storage-location.191938/
Relevancy 21.93%

So I ve crashes caused Hard by motherboard? drive recently built a computer everything was working fine but after a month or so Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard? it started freezing randomly only fixed by restart Then on boot some hard drives would say they have bad sectors and Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard? failed SMART After a few weeks eventually the entire system crashed and would not boot on any of my drives I managed to get it boot on a CD and reformatted the SSD drive that the operating system was on I replaced the supposedly failing drives and things were looking good But it wasn t more then a week or two when it started freezing randomly again sometimes in the middle of activities sometimes when it was just left on And again saying the now brand new drive was failing though from everything I can tell it is not when I run disk checks from booting from a boot CD I m not expert so I have really am at a loss as to what to check I can t afford to keep replacing my hard drives and like I said it doesn t even seem to be actually true if I disconnect then reconnect the drive it seems to come up fine My suspicion is that either the SSD drive that the OS is on is causing the trouble or else its my motherboard Honestly I have no proof of either but I am pretty much out of my depth here Here is the general specs on my system Mother board ASUS P Z -V LK LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS CPU Intel Core i - Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics RAM CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR Desktop Memory Model CMZ GX M X C SSD OCZ Vertex VTX - SAT - G quot GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD Video Card EVGA GeForce GS GB DDR PCI Express DVI HDMI VGA l have severaI other hard drives internal and external attached most of them don t seem to have any trouble the one that consistently fails is always label E even when I change the physical drive out not sure if that means anything or not Any help would be much appreciated not sure where to even start honestly Let me know if I need to make anything more clearly Lucas nbsp

A:Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard?

they have bad sectors and failed SMART.Click to expand...

S.M.A.R.T. is enabled in the HD firmware. Failures at that level are purely hardware related. Such failures create bad sectors.

Q.E.D.:- the drive is just cr*p.

IMO, the motherboard could never create a HD failure - - while software can do so as well as bad user procedures
(eg sharing r/w a folded and two or more users opening the same file at the same time).
Bad disk drivers would easily be a contributor too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-crashes-caused-by-motherboard.191721/
Relevancy 43.86%

Up until days ago my laptop was working fine Then all of a sudden while transferring files to external hard drive it just froze and that was pretty much the end of it It got to the point where this would keep happening and I know help recovery Need data with it s not good but I ended up just forcing the computer to shut down by pressing the power Need help with data recovery button then the computer wouldn t even boot up I ended up just buying a new laptop btw the external hard drive from my old laptop works fine I bought a hard drive enclosure for the old hard drive from my old laptop to recover some data the hard drive shows up as LOCAL DISK on the new computer but it freezes up when I try to access it everything else on the new computer working fine and can t even eject it Whenever I try to do something with the old hard drive it just takes a long time or there s no response or it freezes It even prevents my new computer from booting up or shutting down Is it hopeless to retrieve some data from this drive or is it a lost cause Really appreciate any help Thanks nbsp

A:Need help with data recovery

The drive may have some sort of malware on it. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and run a custom scan on the drive. If it comes up clear, it may have errors. We will proceed from there after you have completed the scan. Best of luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-data-recovery.191310/
Relevancy 43%

Hello Today my WD Raptor decided to die all of a sudden while using my computer it just froze up blue screen on me and reboot then keeps looping I do regular backups so I have quot most quot of my data on my external drives but this happened so suddenly that I have some recent excel files and pictures that are not on my last backup and I would really like to recover those files I run DFT and result was some sector logical failure I remove the drive installed on another computer and I can see the drive but every time I double click on it I got the message quot You need to format the disk in drive D before you can use died, data Raptor need recovery WD it quot and sometimes when I click on the drive I got quot D is not accessible Data error cyclic redundancy check quot Disk management sees the drive as quot Active Primary Partition quot but still can t open it from there I haven t format it yet but I wonder if there is a way to access it somehow to retrieve the data or the only way is WD Raptor died, need data recovery to format it to access it and then use some software to recover the files Suggestions opinions what do you guys think what options do I have Thanks in advance for all the input nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-raptor-died-need-data-recovery.191410/
Relevancy 43%

Hi I have a TOSHIBA GB I had much important project data on it and I did the most terrible mistake of my life not to back it up when all my other HDD datas are double if not triple backedup stick data recovery Memory It was working fine till late night till in the morning when I plugged it on my computer it told me it Memory stick data recovery sholud be formatted first The drive letter doesn t show up on My computer nor in My devices I tried using the EaseUS Data Recovery sample version but it too cant detect the drive I went through the flash drive data recovery procedure in this forum but I do not understand that if I format the drive the data will be gone Again I do not have a backup to copy it again I dont want to recover using the drive but just the data Please please please help someone if such a thing is possible Its almost months of my hard work An update Now its appearing as Removable disk on my computer and if I click on it its saying insert disk into drive F If I try exploring it the format option is appearing Please please help I need the data nbsp

Relevancy 24.51%

I am networking illiterate and don't know if this is even possible. I tether my phone to my main computer then share the internet connection with a router. Is it possible to make the tethered computer and the computers on the router part of the SAME network?

A:Make shared connection part of network

Not really. you create TWO Internet connections using that cellphone and depending upon which connection is created first
(the router->ISP vs cell->Cell Carrier) the first one will dominate all traffic due to the use of the default route in the routing table in the pc. I would think that only the Cell phone usage would send traffic via the cell carrier.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/make-shared-connection-part-of-network.187438/
Relevancy 43.86%

Got a customer that came in with a External HDD To cut a long story short basically what is going on is that recovery 2.5" HDD Windows doesn t recognize the drive being there under Computer but under Disk Management the drive is there I ve taken the drive out of its enclosure and directly input the SATA connector to the Mobo but under Disk Management its not assigned a letter and the name is actually blank I ve already tried to assign it a letter but it unfortunately doesn t allow me to do that 2.5" HDD recovery So to recap Disk Management see s it but Computer doesn t So what I have done so far to try to fix this problem is first I ran Spinrite ran it at level and it couldn t fix the issue Second I have tried the freezer trick none of those worked Now the drive isn 2.5" HDD recovery t making any obvious sounds no clicking or whirling sounds Sounds like a functioning drive and spins up just fine Id try to do a CheckDisk but id need to be able to assign it a letter to command chkdsk to fix volumes F amp R on that drive to work If anybody has any work around or a temporary hotfix for me id appreciate it I only need it to work once to be able to transfer files over onto my Tech HDD nbsp

A:2.5" HDD recovery

Nevermind, after hours upon hours of grueling testing and troubleshooting I found that the problem was that it was a HDD for a mac/linux. I had to go into unbuntu and mess with Nautilus to be able to get the permissions to access the drives folders.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-5-hdd-recovery.188578/
Relevancy 43%

Hello Guys. I really need you guys help. I had been using my portable external drive for about a year. as of today all in the sudden my computer doesn't read it anymore. I tried to go to Disk Management to change the disk path. However it doesn't work. Please help!

A:Hard drive recovery and re-activate

Confirm the portable hard drive status in Disk Management like RAW, unrecognized etc. please.
Try Recuva from piriform to recover your hard drive data, if its recoverable. Ask for replacement from your manufacturer if its still in warranty period.

HOpe it helps!!a

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-recovery-and-re-activate.188399/
Relevancy 41.71%

My computer running Windows Ultimate -bit can no longer access my Western Digital Caviar quot Black quot TB hard drive that s connected but I suspect my data to still be in there so I wonder what data recorvery tools people have used and recommend This is one of the additional drives to my operating system C drive It has been formatted as NTFS and been working fine for several months until with recommendations Data format, from drive please lost recovery software a week ago Now it appears as the E drive on Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please My Computer as originally configured but the volume label is now blank I used to have that named as quot Media quot When I double-click on it to Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please enter the drive I get the Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please error message quot E is not accessible The parameter is incorrect quot In Computer Management -- gt Storage -- gt Disk Management the drive appears but it s File System is now indicated as RAW rather than NTFS I have tried using Active Partition Recovery and that successfully lists my drive with the original label name quot Media quot and as NTFS and also lists the folders located at the root of the drive which is why I suspect my data to still be in there and recoverable However when I use this tool to do a full scan of my disk it freezes after scanning MB There are tools out there with varying reliability so whch ones do people here recommend another tool I trired I forget its name was scanning my disk but prediced days to go over the entire TB so that s out of the question I have been told to use a tool that can recover files onto a separate disk rather then try to repair the original disk and risk losing more of the original data Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please

Oh crap. Something like this happened recently to me when I had backed up some data to an USB thumb drive. It worked fine for awhile, then some weeks later, my PC just couldn't read it anymore (kept saying "disk in drive needs to be reformatted/etc"...and the properties for the drive also showed it as RAW format instead of FAT32 like it would have been usually).

I think the issue is drive corruption, which seems to be fairly common with external devices like USB drives, but odd in the case of an internal drive. The remedy for me was to try to access it from a different system, which was easy since being a USB stick I could try it elsewhere easily. If you can use another system to access the drive, preferably a Linux/Ubuntu based one; it is likely your best bet to recoup the data before its lost permanently. An external HDD kit would be ideal, and they are quite cheap also.

Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-from-drive-with-lost-format-software-recommendations-please.187901/
Relevancy 25.37%

I just built two new computers with Corsair Force Series 3 SSD, and until I can convince my boss to start upgrading computers to Win7, they will be running XP Pro.

The only thing they will be used for is running QuickBook: Point of Sale. Since a 320 gig hdd and a 60 gig SSD are about the same price and I don't need more than about ~40gigs on the server computer I decided to go with the speed over unneeded capacity.

Now I'm just wondering if there is anything I should do to help keep the SSD 'healthy'. I don't believe XP natively supports TRIM. Should I install a 3rd party software that does? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/make-xp-pro-ssd-friendly.185702/
Relevancy 24.94%

I need the laptops at my office to have a static IP address for security purposes and identification. However, some employees take their laptops home in the evening. If I have the Wi-Fi configuration set to use a static IP address, how can they have a dynamic IP address at home?. All are using windows 7 . Nearly 10 - 15 person have laptop. Its for using in an office at qatar. Now all are getting internet with dynamic ip.

A:Want to make static IP for Wi-Fi users

Reserve the IPs by MAC address on your DHCP server. That way they can leave their machines set to DHCP managed IPs and still get the same one each time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-to-make-static-ip-for-wi-fi-users.185470/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello,
I just downloaded Windows 7 onto a fresh hard drive and am running into some difficulties. My internet, whether I try and connect wirelessly or via an ethernet cable, absolutely refuses to work. My router is a Linksys wrt54g and I have long ago lost the disk that goes to it. There doesn't seem to be any available downloads for these drivers anywhere online, and it's become more and more frustrating trying to force my computer to discover the device and vice versa. I just need to know what I have to do in order to make my internet work. Thank you very much for your time, and I hope to get some insight soon.

A:Need to make my Internet work

To configure your router, you need to navigate to the routers internal setup pages. Type the routers IP address in a browser to access the setup pages. The default IP address for a Linksys WRT54G is "192.168.1.1".

How to find ip address for Linksys wrt54g

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-make-my-internet-work.184433/
Relevancy 24.51%

I recall OCZ had serious issues and am wondering if this is still true? Last year I heard Intel and Crucial were very reliable.

A:Which manufacturers make quality SSDs?

Intel,Crucial and Samsung.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-manufacturers-make-quality-ssds.183116/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi I have SATA Hard drives In master as make HDD slave How to and SATA one of my Hard drive boot sector went bad So I will not be able to boot boot into my computer using that hard drive I bought another SATA hard drive I have some important data on my old hard drive I want to know how to make my old hard drive as slave and my new hard drive as master When I connect new hard drive and old hard dive to my computer old hard drive is not detected I even checked in checked in BIOS After booting the computer How to make SATA HDD as master and slave I also checked in device manager my old doesn t show up I also checked fro the jumper in How to make SATA HDD as master and slave my hard drive Jumper is not there in both of my hard drive I m sure that only boot sector is gone bad in my old hard drive because I m getting that message on the screen Can some one help me turning hard drive master and slave Info brand name of Old hard drive is Hitachi New hard drive is seagate Thanks in advance nbsp

A:How to make SATA HDD as master and slave

There is no master/slave with SATA drives.

You control which one boots by the boot order in the BIOS. If your drive isn't showing up something is seriously wrong with the drive. Based on what you have said, I suspect that your drive has died and that error is only displaying because a boot sector won't be found on a dead drive. But before all hope is lost...

I'd try connecting it to a different SATA port on the motherboard, sometimes there are more than 1 controller (SATA I, SATA II, or a RAID) and I suppose there is a tiny chance you had a controller go bad. Not likely though, esp if you plugged the new drive into the same controller and it shows up.

Jumpers on SATA drives were used in the past (on some drives) to force a legacy mode if the drive was SATA II and your motherboard could only handle SATA I.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-make-sata-hdd-as-master-and-slave.183416/
Relevancy 22.36%

I ve a pc with the flg specs AMD Phenom x T ghz stock speed Transcend Mhz ddr GB x GB sticks XFX Radeon HD gb Graphic card M A -EM motherboard Seagate TB RPM primary hdd Seagate x gb RPM for storing my stuff CM Extreme Power Plus W psu I ve been using this pc for past yrs and no problems so far Recently I ve used the quot M A M quot Motherboard along with Frontech DDR x GB RAM The processor graphic card hdd and remaining components are same while playing PC My games crashes except the board and RAM The build worked nicely Now I ve reverted to my own board M A ---- I was playing games like NFS Hot Pursuit My PC crashes while playing games Just Cause and so on After a few minutes of gameplay the pc crashes without any error Not even check for solution msg box no BSOD No events recorded in event viewer So today I reformatted my pc and installed windows Ultimate X But the problem is unsolved I ve checked my hdds for bad sectors My PC crashes while playing games defragmented the disks checked for malware viruses with kaspersky All are working fine except the games And also the firefox is crashing while viewing the pages with flash content No overheating issues and the hardware is properly fitted Thermal paste is also fine Checked the RAM with memtest for over hrs and found no errors Pls solve this problem Thanks in advance nbsp

A:My PC crashes while playing games

This is kind of a shot in the dark but if you can, try swapping out the power supply. If that doesn't work try swapping out the videocard or running it with the onboard video.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-crashes-while-playing-games.183226/
Relevancy 24.51%

When needing to reinstall windows I decided to disable the hard drive in my bios. After turning it back on and having windows reinstalled it now makes a "siren" noise. How do I make it stop?

A:Why does my computer make a siren sound?

First, be a bit more specific: What exactly is making that noise? A system buzzer, or airflow turbulence?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-does-my-computer-make-a-siren-sound.179382/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi Guys About months ago my laptop started to act up The screen would get jumpy horizaontal lines flashign across it and then it would cut out altho lights are still on the screen would needed advice of crashes, sure Inspiron not HP cause, be black I would turn it off and turn it on and it may not happen again for a HP Inspiron crashes, not sure of cause, advice needed day week or even month Now things have worsened it now happens every session often failing to start altogether The jumping has worsened too it can become heavily pixalated and distorted making a weird noise as if the audio has been caught while it froze Sometimes the screen goes black and the audio continues as normal for a few seconds then dies too Sometimes a blue screen appears telling me it is dumping physical memory this scares me so i usually turn it off quickly Im noit sure if the following is correlation or causation but occasionally this jumping and freezing etc is brought about by me moving the screen of laptop slightly IT does seem to last longer if i have the laptop some where stationary All in all im very confused i brought it to a repair shop and he told me it was not the hardrive so must be the motherboard and therefore v expensive I didnt really get the trusting vibe off him so im worried hes just saying that so i spend big cash with him Im trying to decide what the problem is any ideas If it is the motherboard is it worth fixing If i do buy a new laptop is there any resale in mine for parts If you require any further details im happy to try but i dont have much computer knowledge hence why my title is not very techy Cheers guys Shane nbsp

A:HP Inspiron crashes, not sure of cause, advice needed

"HP Inspiron crashes"...

You must mean Dell Inspiron, don't you? What is the model or service tag number?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-inspiron-crashes-not-sure-of-cause-advice-needed.179414/
Relevancy 43%

I have an ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1001PXD preloaded with Windows 7 Starter. I'm thinking it had an Aleureon(sp?) in the MBR, but I did some things to it a couple months ago, and Windows is booting up. It says it is connecting to the network in my house as "public", but won't get on the internet. It won't let me change the classification to "home". When I did whatever I did (can't remember what), It created a new partition (E) for recovery files. I want the laptop back in it's factory state with the recovery files in D like they're supposed to be. There is no CD or DVD drive as it is only a small laptop, but I may be able to transfer files/programs from my main desktop to it if it is indeed connected to the network. Thanks in advance, Bec

A:Can't do complete system recovery, but I know the image is still there

You can buy or borrow an external USB CD/DVD drive, to do the job for you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-do-complete-system-recovery-but-i-know-the-image-is-still-there.177211/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have an Asus How = make GPU GPU 1 = GPU 2 2 GPU 1? to and P T and EVGA GTX s running in SLI The cards got hot so I put an after-market cooler on one of them The problem is that the one with the cooler will only fit in the bottom slot PCI x What that means is that it is recognized as quot GPU quot and isn t the primary display card -- it doesn t do the How to make GPU 1 = GPU 2 and GPU 2 = GPU 1? hard work I NEED it to do the hard work so I can take advantage of my new cooler But in order for that to happen I need PCI x to be recognized as PCI x and I can t figure out how to do it I ve googled checked asus website and read my motherboard s manual After checking the bios settings I don t see How to make GPU 1 = GPU 2 and GPU 2 = GPU 1? anything irq settings that looks like it would do what I m wanting it to So I m looking for some help A practical solution a creative solution -- How to make GPU 1 = GPU 2 and GPU 2 = GPU 1? if you have any kind of an idea however outlandish let me hear it I even entertained the idea of physically re-wiring the mobo but I have a feeling that would be practically impossible because the traces are probably very small and hard to access nbsp

A:How to make GPU 1 = GPU 2 and GPU 2 = GPU 1?

why wont it fit in the first PCIe slot?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-make-gpu-1-gpu-2-and-gpu-2-gpu-1.177352/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello, i have had my laptop for a year almost and i have had this problem most of the time. when i try and watch videos(youtube) the screen goes blank for a few seconds then it comes back on telling me that the "desktop driver stopped working and has recoverd". it also says "desktop manager stopped working and was closed." can someone please help?

system details:
Pentium(R) Dual-Core
CPU T4500
2.30ghz 2.30ghz

64 bit operating system
3gb RAM

A:My laptop crashes whilst watching videos

Please tell us more about computer brand and model, opeating system, etc.
You are missing software or drivers, usually free, than will enable proper operation when downloaded and installed from the maker of your computer, or your operating system.
It could also be resources limits such as memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-crashes-whilst-watching-videos.174546/
Relevancy 24.51%

well The components and I are all gathered in the same place. Going to try and tame the Holodeck @ 5Ghz.

A:A further attempt to make Linked cube sick...er

You just won't beer happy until you break it, will you?

"Beer" is indeed a typo. Well either that, or a Freudian slip. So I left it in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-further-attempt-to-make-linked-cube-sick-er.176716/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello, so... the question is this:

Can I make a partition of my laptops' HDD work as an external drive.
So that when I connect a USB cable to my laptop, then connect the other end of the USB cable to another PC/laptop this other PC/laptop than thinks that an external HDD is connected to it...

I'm assuming I would need some sort of software to specify which partition I want to be recognized as the external HDD and then possibly specify which USB port to use...?

Or not necessarily a partition, just any specific folder would work as well...

So... help... please... So far I haven't found any answers googling.

A:Make HDD partition as a USB external drive

Not clear on your problem;

When I connect a USB tumbdrive to my Laptop it shows up as a regular Mapped Drive.

In fact, when I take it elsewhere, that happens also.

It is not related to the HDD on the laptop at all (is that what you're after; making the USB actually mirror datafrom your HDD?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/make-hdd-partition-as-a-usb-external-drive.176597/
Relevancy 41.28%

I currently have a Lenovo laptop and have had it for 2 and a half years. The battery has always been pretty bad and last about 3 minutes unplugged. The hard drive is a temperamental one from an old laptop as the original broke for no apparent reason, probably didn't help I was constantly having to rebuild it too. I know it is stupid but when I got this laptop I was young and naive and didn't realise how essential recovery disks are.
I realise to replace all of these would be quite expensive so am wondering whether it is worth just buying a new laptop?

A:Worth replacing the hard drive, battery and buying recovery disks?

We need more information to comment.
There are at least 7 levels of Lenovo laptop... Is this a T-series... or just what is it? model and type.
In general, Lenovo laptops are among the most reliable...
This is not a good time to buy hard drives, due to the market over-adjusting to the hard drive factories under water in Thailand.
Batteries, good ones, can be found for $35 to $45
But you can get a 90 GB SATA hard drive for $90 or less.
Tell us the hard drive brand and size, the amount of memory installed.
All in all, we can rebuild a decent Lenovo for $140... and that is a lot less expensive than a new laptop. But a shop would have to charge you $205 or more.
A cheap laptop might cost you $500 to $600, but a good laptop could cost you $1200 to $1800. For long term reliability, I would want to invest at least $1000 to $1500

Tell us more so we can best advise you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/worth-replacing-the-hard-drive-battery-and-buying-recovery-disks.176085/
Relevancy 24.51%

Would love to get some suggestions for ways to improve my sound on my HP G60 Laptop?

A:Make my laptop louder and better sounding?

Try this...

I always recommend the Bongiovi Acoustics DPS audio enhancer software when you find laptop speakers lacking. It makes the sound much louder without distortion and the clarity is better too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/make-my-laptop-louder-and-better-sounding.175414/
Relevancy 22.36%

I just got a brand new Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system for my laptop.

These speakers have amazing ratings, and my friends who have had them before said the ones they had sounded amazing for them, and yet they, like me, notice the following problem in mine.

The bass is great, but for some reason my system seems too bassy. Like I know I can turn down the subwoofer, but it's as if all the low/bassy sounds are always drowning out the higher/vocals, which always seem to be a bit dulled down.

I have a Lenovo Y560p laptop with Realtek HD Audio. I was thinking perhaps I have this sound problem because it doesn't let me select 2.1 for my settings, and it's stuck on "stereo". I've tried downloading and installing drivers from Realtek's website.

A:Realtek HD Audio Manager + 2.1 speakers - not working right

bump................................................

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-hd-audio-manager-2-1-speakers-not-working-right.175565/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello everyone Since my computer worked fine last years ago now its coming some damn problems My computer specs p qc gfx gb ram intel dual core e tb and crashes Games not others seventeam w Problem Some games crashes or i get some distorcion graphics while playing or after a video like go after menu And after that i must press ALT F doesnt work often or i have to restart pushing the button And usually i get BSOD probably memory idk it was so fast i have downloaded somes games to test out Payday The Heist if i play on low resolution it doesnt crash Trine got distorcion graphics and after bsod Might amp Magic Heroes IV cant Games crashes and others not even pass the after intro it crash on menu Mass Effect after min got crash Deus EX sometimes i got lag Games crashes and others not slow run game Duke Nukem Forever same got lag slow run game games that workout without Games crashes and others not problem Far Cry Wow League of Legends Diablo Beta Assassin Creeds Revelations very rarely i got crash or distorced graphics Things i ve done only Ive already updated my video card cleaned the ram slots ram Thigs i should do update bios motherboard any other suggestions or probably its the best to send my computer to tecnical assistance to solve my problems Thanks And english is not my second language nbsp

A:Games crashes and others not

Have you checked your GPU temps? It may be overheating while you play some games. Temperatures above 90 C or so under load would be worrisome. Also, a 500 watt PSU is not very much for a GTX 285. Nvidia recommends at least 550 watts.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/games-crashes-and-others-not.175415/
Relevancy 21.93%

hi - i was just playing music on my dell latitude e4300 via bluetooth to a belkin bluetooth receiver connected to stereo.

somehow the connection got dropped - during a phone call on a land line. may be irrelevant.

now, i cannot get bluetooth connection back. there is no bluetooth icon in the system tray.

i cannot find 'bluetooth' devices in start>control panel> devices
--i have 2, and both ought to be there.

i unplugged bluetooth receiver, and had win 7 search for devices to add - no luck.

sure, i can reboot, and everything will probably come back.
but i am hoping for a better answer. i don't want to have to reboot every time the bluetooth connection gets lost.

i searched the web for a little, but only found unrelated posts, or posts with no answer. THANKS!

A:Bluetooth connection lost, icon gone from system tray, not in device manager

bluetooth light/icon on laptop, not screen is on; no bt

ok, i rebooted, thinking the bluetooth icon would again be in system tray, with the red in the middle, showing i have bluetooth capability, but that sound is not currently being directed to bluetooth.

no icon.

the dell laptop does have bluetooth icon illuminated on the laptop, just above the function keys - not on the screen at all / not in sys tray.

the bluetooth receiver is on, is working.

'add a device' is not finding this bt thingie.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bluetooth-connection-lost-icon-gone-from-system-tray-not-in-device-manager.175310/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello everyone, my computer crashes when I play games. The computer is still on, but the monitor says "no signal input"
any help would be appreciated, also i have attached a dxdiag file

A:Video crashes while gaming

Have you tried updating you Nvidia 9600 drivers from this website:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-crashes-while-gaming.175059/
Relevancy 43%

Hi all,

I've got a friend whose wife is ready to kill. The CD of wedding photo's is currently in three pieces and not backed up. Any leads where he can get at least some of the data recovered? At this point in time he's almost "money no object"...

...any leads would be appreciated,
Many thanks,

A:Broken CD - data recovery - any chance?

I've never looked into this before. I'd imagine there isn't much that can be done. CDs and DVDs have a short life in data storage terms and really should not be relied on as a permanent storage media for important data. There seem to be a few companies out there that offer data recovery from damaged CDs, but this is usually from scratched rather than broken into pieces disks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-cd-data-recovery-any-chance.172952/
Relevancy 42.57%

hi anyone who can help me I just have a bios update failed because my computer hangs and as I reboot nothing appears and i guess my bios is corrupt how can I recover my bios pls help

A:BIOS recovery of Dell Inspiron 1564

Take a look at this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/del.../468217-how-blind-flash-dell-1564-urgent.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-recovery-of-dell-inspiron-1564.173623/
Relevancy 24.94%

Like, a actual laptop with a rotating screen to push down. I mean, HP discontinued the touchsmart, and the closest thing I can find (in my price range) is the acer iconia W500, and thats not even the same. Does anyone make a laptop like this anymore?

A:Does anyone make tablet PCs anymore?

http://blog.laptopmag.com/top-5-tablets-to-buy-avoid

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-anyone-make-tablet-pcs-anymore.173073/
Relevancy 22.79%

Suddenly one of my hdds dropped from windows it shows as failed in disc management and cant be reactivated from there Tho its seen in a bios boot and in device manager even says device is working properly When i checked bios i did it in ways with and w out bad hdd hooked up To hook it up i unplugged a working sata port - ST As- HDD BIOS device can't in but and manager it access seen GB and hooked problem HDD to that sata port when i rebooted into bios and checked what i seen on port was now ST AS- GB Does this seemingly point to fact this is the problem HDD being seen in bios now i decided to check Ie Device manager and it shows ata devices named ST AS so to assure myself i boot down HDD seen in BIOS and device manager but can't access it unhook problem drive and reboot now in device manager disc drives i see only one named ST AS when i re hook the problem hdd device manager shows both again So it appears device manager and bios see this HDD thats giving me nite mares i ve tried active undelete and BadCopy Pro But obv theyd fail as windows isnt seeing this drive As in my re search of last several weeks ive heard the SATA drive may be taking itself off line if Windows try to access it too much and that a sata usb bay cable s may sort me out here as im told some have had success when hooked in the traditional way a sata drive fails If this is possible i wont mind another purchase but the software has already set me back a fair bit PS ive seen the youtube video on swapping out the pcb but im also told matching a pcb is near impossible and it shows no physical damage i can see it seems a huge long shot its the pcb i also hear drive getting power and once or x i heard access noise Any further direction in this matter is appreciated Cheers nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-seen-in-bios-and-device-manager-but-cant-access-it.173486/
Relevancy 24.94%

I'm new to the world of pc gaming, but I needed a good system to run fsx on without breaking the bank. at the moment, I run fsx on this system:
AMD Phenom II X6 1045t 2.7ghz
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1gb GDDR5
8gb ram
1tb hard drive
Windows 7 home premium
(resolution: 1360x768)

i get around 25-50fps depending on the weather and the aircraft, and the settings aren't all maxed out.
is there any point in overclocking? or could someone suggest optimum settings which give smooth flight and the best graphics possible? thanks

A:Is overclocking going to make much difference to my fps on FSX?

You very well may gain a few FPS by OC'ing. FSX is one of those odd games that is extremely CPU dependent (don't ask me why) :rolleyes: FSX is usually fairly fluid @ 25 FPS, so if you OC your PII x6 up to 3.7Ghz , you may be able to get the next level of settings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-overclocking-going-to-make-much-difference-to-my-fps-on-fsx.172854/
Relevancy 24.51%

I just recently got into pc gaming. Unfortunately I don't have the money to get a new laptop or any system. Fortunately I already had a Dell Studio XPS 1340, which from what I heard isn't bad for gaming. Is there anything i can do for the laptop to have it run games smoother? (I've been playing Batman Arkham Asylum (kind of laggy), street fighter IV (works fine), and I'm getting Assassin's Creed).

Here's what I have

Dell Studio XPS 1340
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU [email protected]
RAM: 4GB
64-bit Operating System
NVIDIA GeForce 9500M (GF 9400MG + GF 9200MGS)

A:Can I upgrade my laptop to make it better for gaming?

Looks like you are pretty well maxed out with the laptop. It's not that bad. Gaming laptops cost big bucks, $1200 or higher. How big is your hard drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-upgrade-my-laptop-to-make-it-better-for-gaming.172348/
Relevancy 21.93%

i think there is something wrong with my hardware..i have noticed that when ever i move the screen or move the laptop then it either freezes or crashes..

do you have any idea which hardware may be faulty??

thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whenever-i-move-my-laptops-screen-it-freezes-or-crashes.171448/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a gateway laptop with windows vista. Sometimes when I plug in my printer a USB port the computer crashes. Then I have to take out the battery and put it back in to start it up again. It seems to do this more when I have my wireless mouse plugged in but still does it when no other devices are in use. Most of the posts I've seen are crash and automatic reboot. Not me! Any ideas?

A:Computer crashes when plugging in printer with no reboot

Sounds like drivers. particularly USB but it could also be motherboard USB controller drivers as well. Do you get Blue Screens? Do you have the latest drivers from Gateway installed for your particular model? Do you have Vista's latest Service Pack and drivers updated?

If not do so.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-crashes-when-plugging-in-printer-with-no-reboot.171195/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have an old Dell optiplex gx270 that i would like to upgrade so that i can play WoW and other games on it. What could i do to make it better. I have no experience in hard-drive upgrading but i am always up for learning and have others that can help if im struggling. Right now im playing on an insperon 15 laptop and it barely gets 10fps. If someone could help me with picking out what needs updates/upgrades that would help me out a lot. I am working on a slimmer budget, but not impossible (~$200). Is it worth trying to salvage this computer or should i just continue with my insperon 15?

Oh yeah, you can find its specs by typing in "gx270", i cant give links because i only have 1 post.

A:What can I do to a Optiplex gx270 to make it WoW-friendly?

Looking at the system specs there are several issues working against you: cpu and the fact that your video card slot is the old AGP and they don't make AGP cards anymore though you can still find a limited stock here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...100007709 600007850&IsNodeId=1&name=AGP 4X/8X

You make the minimum requirements for cpu for WoW if your system has the Intel Pentium 4 and not their Celeron cpu. According to the specs this model shipped with either. If the latter than save up and we'll help you build a system because it will not be worth upgrading.

As for the link the only two cards that are worth considering are the HIS 4670 and the Gigabyte 4650 where WoW is concerned. Still even if it a Pentium 4 IMO I doubt spending money on a video card upgrade is worth it.

* What other games are you considering? Do you have two gigs of RAM installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-can-i-do-to-a-optiplex-gx270-to-make-it-wow-friendly.170980/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi, This is possibly me being blonde, but can I make my external USB powered hard drive act like a USB pen drive, so that I can use it on my tv? I bought a 640Gb drive thinking I could plug it in but it says it doesn't accept drives, just the usual memory stick type of device.

Is it possible to get the drive to pretend to be something else?

A:Can I make an external USB HDD pretend it's a USB pen drive?

What type of tv have you got?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-make-an-external-usb-hdd-pretend-its-a-usb-pen-drive.170704/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a Hp Pavilion with a 4.2 score, AMD Turion II P560 Dual-Core 2.50GHz, 4gb ram 300 gb storage, and a AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250. I can play games like minecraft well on High performance and HD, 3D graphics but I want to play more games like Battlefield and Black Ops, MW2 MW3 -Beta. I use Game booster but it only seems to end my processes, how can i run my laptop to be faster for gaming without lag?

A:How can I make my HP Pavillion G-series computer run games faster?

go into battery settings and change to high performance, also most the time with laptops specs dont handle like there advertised due to battery and "saving space" issues. On top of that just try doing the normal, clear off empty hdd space, and use a good defrag program like auslogics and optimize to read the data faster. Trust me gaming is hard enough with just BF2 on my dinosaur of a laptop stuck to windowed resolutions of 800x600

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-make-my-hp-pavillion-g-series-computer-run-games-faster.170081/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hey there everyone on TechSpot...

Recently I upgraded from a Geforce 6800 GS to an ATI Radeon HD3850 (both AGP)
After having carefully followed all the steps required to install a new graphics card
(i.e. deleting of old drivers, installing the new ones etc.) I still get an error. In particular this one: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

I even contacted the manufacturer of the card (Sapphire) but they weren't of much help, giving me a constant list to do things that I had already done.

I uploaded the latest 2 minidumps that were created from the crashes to (possibly) help solve the issue. (edit) I also uploaded my dxdiag, in case my other system specs are gonna be requested.

Hope you guys can help me,

Greets

A:Radeon HD 3850 crashes

The AGP standard is getting old. How old is this PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-hd-3850-crashes.169840/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a WD external USB 2.0 HD. Yesterday, there was a message on screen asking to update driver or something. I ignored it. Now, the HD is gone. It is not under device manager/disk drives. Everything under universal serial bus controllers works properly.

I downloaded HDD Scan and ran it. It did not find the drive. What can I do now?

A:External USB 2.0 HD not seen in device manager

Try this:

1. Uninstall your USB Mass Storage Device then Scan for Hardware Changes.
2. Clear your Mountpoint. You can use Autorun Protector (req .NET2.0) or delete all Mountpoints2 entries in regedit
3. Use DriveCleanup (posted by LookinAround)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-usb-2-0-hd-not-seen-in-device-manager.169828/
Relevancy 43.86%

Here s the scoop A friend of mine was running XP sp and his system started getting very slow and would not run properly I ran malwarebytes and found File recovery several errors and corrected System still wouldn t function right Spent several File recovery hours trying various things with no luck Decided to offload his files and reinstall xp We managed to get his documents offloaded but didn t have enough media for his photos I removed hard drive and used my hardware connection package to hook it up to a usb port on my system The drive did show up and I started to copy his photos Get ready here it comes he has g of photos from years worth of saving on system without backing them up My system has enough space to copy but about g into copy my system started to give File recovery all kinds of errors that my avg WD elements etc weren t working I canceled the copy and deleted the photos from my system did a safe remove of the drive ran a restore from a previous restore point for my system All is well in the land of joeretired Now here s where the problem comes in When I reconnected the drive it no longer shows up with a letter assigned to it so I can access the drive I checked quot My Computer quot and it s not there Checked Device Manager and it shows as a usb mass storage device and properties says it s working properly Device Management doesn t even see it The questions are why can t I see it anymore how do I get it back to copy the phots Just for info s sake I m going to copy them to flash drives so my friend will have them backed up and be able to view them when he wants Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated and if we meet I ll buy you a beer nbsp

A:File recovery

Thanks Rick I will try what you suggested. If it is what you suspect I'll let him know. I was looking around and found a program from CGSecurity called "TESTDISK". Due you think it might be worth a shot running this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-recovery.168390/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey everyone is there anyway to boost the sound a a laptop? My cousin just got one and he barely can hear his DVDs? is there an amplifier or sumthing in a program i can download? Thanks 4 looking.

A:Any way to make laptop speakers louder?

Anyway to make LAPTOP speakers louder?

That's pretty common for laptops. But as long as you checked all the "volume" locations, that's about it as far as I know.

From the speaker icon in the system tray. To control panel audio section, make sure the pan is in the middle, that the speakers are set to stereo speakers, and the main volume slider is all the way. All this can be done from in there. But there is more then one location for volume. Also use the laptop's function keys to up the volume, as this can sometimes be sepparate from Windows control. And lastly the volume of the DVD playing software itself, may also be sepparate.

But as far as I know, there is no such thing as a software amp.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-way-to-make-laptop-speakers-louder.48030/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hey TechSpot,

I know it may sound stupid, but is there some sort of handle or attachment for cases to make them portable.
If yes please let me know.

Thanks

A:Is there some sort of handle for cases to make them "portable"?

I am not aware of any - that is what laptops are for. However Cooler Master makes the Storm Scout case with a built in handle on top - but it kind of looks like an old 5 gallon gas can:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119235

Maybe you could invent something a get rich. Might be a demand for something like that - maybe a could of straps that would wrap around the computer and connect to a handle on top where the straps could be synched up. You could leave it on one computer or use it for any computer you wanted to move or lug around.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-some-sort-of-handle-for-cases-to-make-them-portable.169262/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey there I have my PC Connected to both a HDTV through a HD cable and an LCD monitor so am getting both audio and video coming out the TV, what happens is sometimes I will be playing games or youtubing on my PC monitor while my brother is watching a movie on the TV ( which works as my 2nd screen so both audio and video are coming form the same source which is my PC ), and I was wondering if there is a way where I can make the TV plays the movie audio alone, while I get all the other sounds through my headset ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-posible-to-make-my-pc-stream-two-different-audios-simultaneously.166590/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have seen similar problems to mine but Realtek Audio HD jack not unplugged Manager recognizing not exactly the same I am using windows home Realtek HD Audio Manager not recognizing unplugged jack prem bit Motherboard H m with a Gateway dx - e All drivers are up to date as of - - I m new to the forum so please forgive any ignorance on my part All was working fine until yesterday When front jack detection Realtek HD Audio Manager not recognizing unplugged jack is enabled with Realtek HD manager I can t hear my speakers but my headphones work When I disable it the speakers work as do the headphones if plugged in The funny thing is when I enable the detection it is showing that on the front panel headphone speakers that there is still a jack plugged in and also shows where I actually have the speakers plugged in and that is the rear jack I assume that is why I can t hear any sound from the speakers I don t know why it doesn t respond when I unplug the headphones Note that it detects all of the other jacks when something is plugged in or unplugged Any help would greatly be appreciated nbsp

A:Realtek HD Audio Manager not recognizing unplugged jack

Have you installed all the Windows 7 updates including Service Pack 1?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-hd-audio-manager-not-recognizing-unplugged-jack.166216/
Relevancy 43.86%

1st time it s detect i strat recovering my files using recover my files ver.4.0 regeserd it shows all images what iwant but after an hour it become hang when i restart my pc to connect it again it no detecting & hard is no spinng also
my hard disk is not spinning i want to recover my image help me our
samsung 40 gbhard disk
plz help me out

A:Data recovery

Welcome to Techspot!

Seriously, I had a little too much coffee today, so don't take serious about #1 and 2, since I could be able to help ya out with my similar experience.

The few other options you could considers:

1. Gripes, cries, bawl all you wants over a 40 gig hard drive. When you're done, consider your lesson learned about backing up your datas to external hard drive, or using the compact discs/media cards in timely basis. Now when you learned your lesson, buy the new drive and moves on.

2. Considers the expensive option by establishing the communication with the data recovery experts in company, and expect your wallet prepping for the long flights with your credit cards. You should expects a few digits of hundred, or probably thousands to recover a part of your valuable datas.

3. Considers the cheaper option by ordering a same I/O board for your hard drive, it's very good chance that one part of your logic board blew after surpassing the hours of operation. It should set you back about 50 bucks or less, and the reliable source to find it is at ebay.
You can type your information of your hard drive here, and I can help you to find the appropriate logic board to give your hard drive another try to recover your datas.

Also, If you have camera and know how to use Marco setting, this would be very helpful to support your thread

First thing to do is to list your spec, by looking at this similar label, you will need to type Model; and numbers/letters under the three barcodes. Take a look at this picture for reference.

The next thing is to find the logic board matching to your hard drive. Look for the white label on the bar of IDE plug bottom, it need to match with your HDD label revisions, and the final thing is to match your chip with your old/broken logic chip. Take a look at here.

Good luck man and looking forward to help ya out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery.165768/
Relevancy 22.36%

recently had an unexplained incident out of the blue - an error msg appeared saying something like quot G drive corrupted run chkdsk quot - i could not access the G drive so i rebooted and chkdsk ran automatically on reboot this machine Logical (among fails other manager disk things) has hard drives one sata one ide with multiple partitions G is my main data partition also it s a well managed machine with AV firewall etc so it booted up again and all seemed fine i could access G drive ok except these are some of the issues i have now cannot connect to the logical disk manager service all the relevant services are set to auto and started so disk management is not available my backup software cannot see any drives dcom error many times in the system log The application-specific permission settings do not Logical disk manager fails (among other things) grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID F D- E C- D - C - EFFB F to the user NT AUTHORITY NETWORK SERVICE SID S- - - This CLSID corresponds to Microsoft WMI Provider Subsystem Secured Host i have worked through the MS fix for Logical disk manager fails (among other things) this without success dcom error many times in the system log The server A F E - CF - D -BF - ED did not register with DCOM within the required timeout in the registry this belongs to Windows Image Aquisition which i do not specifically use and the service Logical disk manager fails (among other things) is turned off anyway if i check the dependencies tab for any service i get the error Interface Class not registered google searches only seem to turn up partially related fixes have run sfc scannow but no change malwarebytes found no badies so a bit sad really just thought someone might have an idea or two nbsp

A:Logical disk manager fails (among other things)

You need to specify your OS and SP level. I am suggesting you could try system repair. Here is the Vista method. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212 XP is similar. I am not familiar with the Win7 version.

In the case of XP this wont be very effective unless you actually have the install CD with slipstream SP level as well.

Other possibilities are system restore to before the original error; and/or a deep scan for malware.

Failing all that, a complete system reinstall might be advisable, which is a pain in fundamental anatomical areas.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logical-disk-manager-fails-among-other-things.165217/
Relevancy 21.5%

Greetings folks well I ve been giving this some thought and I think I may need to break down and buy myself a new video card for my old Dell Dimension c computer Now please mind that my computer was built back in the year with the cutting edge stuff that was make A new card, let's "you the call"! play video offered back in that year Now days my system is a dinosaur and probably could not handle all the top of the line video cards models A new video card, let's play "you make the call"! on the open market today For those who might require a complete system listing before being able to render advise please click the following link it s the spec s list my computer compliments of Dell http support dell com support edocs SYSTEMS dim C sm specs htm wp Also I will post some more information that my system is showing now for I ve made a slight modification with re-placing the original RAM that was MB s to Gig s of Patriot DDR RAM Here is the current stuff Intel R Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Report Report Date - Report Time hr mm ss - Driver Version - Operating System - Windows XP Professional Service Pack Default Language - English DirectX Version - Physical Memory - MB Minimum Graphics Memory - MB Maximum Graphics Memory - MB Graphics Memory in Use MB Processor - Intel Pentium H T MHZ Processor Speed - MHZ Vendor ID - Device A new video card, let's play "you make the call"! ID - Device Revision - Accelerator Information Accelerator in Use A new video card, let's play "you make the call"! - Intel R G Express Chipset Family Video BIOS - Current Graphics Mode - by True Color Hz As you can tell by reading the spec s from that hyperlink is that my system is PCI-e compatible It says both PCI-e cards at x speeds and the type that are x speeds are compatible Now here is the trick my system can only use video cards that are deemed or called low profile meaning they have to be the sort that are approx half the width of a normal card They can t be to tall with huge stuff on the top of them or they won t fit into the system Now it s time for you all to play quot you make the call quot go ahead and fire away and tell me which video card I should run with Give me the low down on what you feel would be a good card for my system Also in regards to price I have almost to play with here so all cards would have to be real close or under that budget amount I m open to anything Nvidia ATI Radeon and the like Also to get a feel for what I would want to do with a good video card that would be to play some fairly current to slightly old video game titles Titles like Call of Duty quot Modern Warfare quot and Unreal Tournament III and Never Winter Nights and so forth I would need something to play those games and games like them For right now I m stuck playing games on that MB video adapter like Half Life Quake III Arena Half Life Blue Shift and Opposing Force Dues Ex and Unreal Tournament So please folks any input would be very much appreciated nbsp

A:A new video card, let's play "you make the call"!

Your motherboard has a single PCIe X16 slot that will fit a medium sized PCIe X16 video card. The more on-board video memory the video card has, the better the video will be. 32-bit XP will not see the entire 4GB of system RAM. It will "see" about 3.5GB of RAM total

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-new-video-card-lets-play-you-make-the-call.164085/
Relevancy 21.93%

I'm having some serious issues with my PC; I recently switched Motherboards to an M2N-SLI board with my Radeon HD 4880 graphics card. I updated my drivers and everything, but I still get crashes whenever I start a graphics intensive game (Portal 2, even CS:S) I'm not sure what it could be. Any help available?

A:Radeon HD 4880 crashes after switching to M2N-SLI Mobo

When you changed motherboards did you re-use the old hard drive? If so, did you reinstall Windows or perform a Windows repair? If neither, then try a repair first. If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall Windows from scratch.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-hd-4880-crashes-after-switching-to-m2n-sli-mobo.165104/
Relevancy 24.51%

I am using wireless net from a router that is far from my computer and my phone has 3g hotspot capabilities so I thought hey maybe I can use both at once.

A:Can I use my phone to make my Internet even faster?

treetops said:

I am using wireless net from a router that is far from my computer and my phone has 3g hotspot capabilities so I thought hey maybe I can use both at once.Click to expand...

???

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-use-my-phone-to-make-my-internet-even-faster.164630/
Relevancy 24.51%

Intresting article i found,

http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...ke-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616

You will need a laptop with an express card slot. And pref win 7 or xp.

Thought it may be useful to someone

A:How to make an external laptop graphics adapter

Mhmm... interesting. I'll bookmark it and give it a try on a new laptop later on.

Thanks for sharing. +1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adapter.164644/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a Western Digital 250 GB external HD that had been working perfectly until yesterday afternoon. It has been making this repetitive whirring noise *not the clicking noise of death* and it died before I had a chance to copy the data onto another external. When I plug in the USB it makes the connection noise, but autoplay does not come up and it does not show up in my computer anymore. I did look in device manager and disk management and it does show up but it had no drive letter and it says unreadable. (I've attached a screenshot of this)

i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss2.jpg
i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss1.jpg

Is there any way I can recover the data off of it? Should I just take it out of the enclosure and hook it up to a desktop pc?

A:External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

It sounds like the drive itself is dead rather than the enclosure. The repetitive 'whirring' noise likely is immediately following the click of death, just the click is pretty quiet on a lot of notebook drives. If yours is a full size (3.5") drive in that enclosure, then perhaps you are right and the click of death isn't occurring.

In either case, its not going to hurt to hook it up internally, because even if it doesn't work you aren't any worse off than you are now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-broken-shows-up-in-device-manager-but-not-my-computer.163770/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello everyone As the title of this thread suggests I ve been having a problem with the connections tray of my laptop Essentially the light indicating Wi-Fi is on goes out and the taskbar icons that show me network connectivity stop responding Re-starting the computer regains functionality but before the computer shuts down I see an quot End Program - Connections Tray quot countdown dialog This only happens when I m using Wi-Fi and it occurs sporadically In an attempt to fix this problem I did both spyware and virus scans nothing was found I tried re-installing the drivers for my Wi-Fi card and that didn t fix the problem About this laptop - Dell Inspiron purchased in I upgraded the RAM in January of this year from GB to GB - OS Windows XP SP Information as provided by PC Wizard Platform Intel Centrino Mainboard Dell XD Chipset Intel i PM Processor Intel Core Duo T MHz Physical Memory MB x DDR -SDRAM Video Card ATI Mobility Radeon X Omega Hard Disk FUJITSU MHW BH GB DVD-Rom Drive SONY DVD -RW DW-Q A Monitor Type XD W NX - inches Network tray Connections crashes Card Broadcom BCM x Base-TX Fast Ethernet Controller Network Card Connections tray crashes Intel PRO Wireless ABG Golan Network Connection Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack -bit DirectX Version c October Advice appreciated - Connections tray crashes Mage nbsp

A:Connections tray crashes

Download and run Superantispyware Free and run it. Tell us what it finds

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connections-tray-crashes.163494/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello. I recently purchased a lenovo laptop and when i record my vocals on the audacity program it makes my voice sound like im singing into a hollow metal barrel. My old laptop never did this at all and i really need to fix it soon because i have songs that need to be recorded and edited by the 20th of this month. Im thinking that its the sound card but i didnt think it would make that much of a difference. if theres nothing to fix this i think im gunna have to return this laptop and get a different one. If anyone can help PLEAASSE HELP ME!

A:Microphone make my voice sound different on my new laptop.Why?

Just a couple of ideas which I hope will help.

From what you have described it sounds like you have the reverb too high. On the other hand if it is not that then you should check the laptop speakers are muted when recording.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microphone-make-my-voice-sound-different-on-my-new-laptop-why.163643/
Relevancy 43%

To make a very long story short I have an acomdata ext hard drive that has in someway failed Anytime I connect it to a computer it can t be read a recovery USB HD disassembling data Need + external help If you would like any background data on the steps that me and another member took to try and get the drive recognized you can look here http www techspot com vb topic - html In that link is all the data and product specs that you would need Now on to the real reason for this thread I would like to take this ext hard drive apart and I am not really sure how to that I hope that somebody on here may have some experience with this hard drive Need help disassembling a USB external HD + data recovery but im not holding my breath I did however Need help disassembling a USB external HD + data recovery find a link to a very similar HD http www gearhack com myink ViewP ridDrive External Hard Drive Disassembly html I read a little bit about the process and I already have questions I think i will save those questions for when we actually get to those steps I will get started on taking it apart and see if anyone has anything to add in Thanx for the help nbsp

A:Need help disassembling a USB external HD + data recovery

Your link looks sufficient. I've got 4 external enclosures hooked up to several computers. The principle is the same in them all. If your enclosure is like the one shown then it is real simple. Ignore all the wires plugged into the green PCB because you don't need to disconnect any of them. Once you get to the point where you can see the drive itself, you may need to remove 4 screws from the bottom (also shown in your link). Then the drive will slide out a few millimeters away from the PCB and can be lifted out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-disassembling-a-usb-external-hd-data-recovery.160952/
Relevancy 24.08%

Well after my Video Card finally quit on my 4-year old gaming laptop I decided it's time to build my first PC!

I've already staked out most of what I want for parts and what not, but generally want advice on stuff I've done wrong. I've already gotten a few second opinions but decided here would be a great place to ask for help. After all, out of all the components I've picked there is sure to be something wrong (compatibility issues, etc...) with my decisions!

My Decisions: UPDATED
Mobo
CPU
Graphics Card
Power Supply
Case
HDD
SSD
Monitor

Other Stuff
RAM
Optical Drive
Wireless Card

P.s. Thanks so much for everyone's feedback and input!

A:Tips & advice needed for building my first PC - let's make it a good experience!

The motherboard will work with your i5 2500k, says it supports (1155) so should be fine.

For graphics card, i'm not so sure, but I know the Radeon 6950 is great. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161361&cm_re=radeon_6950-_-14-161-361-_-Product

For your HDD, a SSD is the future haha. This one was recommended to me http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226168&cm_re=mushkin_ssd-_-20-226-168-_-Product Save you some $$$$ aswell.

Hope this helps a tad!

Oops sorry, that PSU should get upgraded. Corsair from what I've heard is the best option out there. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021&cm_re=corsair_750w-_-17-139-021-_-Product

750W should be fine, 520W might not be enough for the power of your graphics card.

All this info, ive gotten from others on Techspot, so its reliable!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tips-advice-needed-for-building-my-first-pc-lets-make-it-a-good-experience.162280/
Relevancy 23.22%

Well I re-formatted the other day and have a problem that I ve never had before so here goes I currently have my Hi-Fi and Manager HD Realtek Audio my headphones plugged into my machine they used to work perfectly together I mean that the same sound off every program played into both of them at the same time If I didn t want to use my speakers I d simply Realtek HD Audio Manager turn the volume down on the front of it Now after re-formatting I can t get them to combine in Realtek HD Audio Manager I don t know if this is to do with RHDAM or if it s a Volume Mixer problem It s seriously starting to annoy me Even if I could just choose the programs that each device used So that I could put all programs onto both of them that would be great I m using the front Headphone and Mic socket for my headphones Pink amp Green For my Hi-Fi I m using the back black and pink sockets There are other sockets that I could use but I ve tried them all and to no avail The other colours just in case it s relevant are blue black green and bronze Can someone help me please Thank Realtek HD Audio Manager you P S I searched and couldn t find anything that related to this exact problem P P S I ve found that the same as before if I blow into my mic or move it the sound comes through my Hi-Fi speakers nbsp

A:Realtek HD Audio Manager

have you tried the 'connector retasking' by right click the jack in the RHDCPL, also the additional options :

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-hd-audio-manager.162224/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hey Built a new computer a few days ago and seems to run ok accept for the rd time now the screen has gone all fuzzy and as i cant select anything on screen i can only assume system has crashed too This seems to happen randomly and normally crashes with screen fuzzy Computer after the computer has been running a while today it has been running for about hours then did it Im running off the on board graphics card on my ASUS p h M-pro motherboard i have a grapohics card which i will be using soon once the correct Computer crashes with fuzzy screen cables come for it Does anyone know if this is a faulty monitor or motherboard graphics issue im not running any games video when this Computer crashes with fuzzy screen has happened also have a psu infact the full spec is Motherboard ASUS P H -M PRO Processer - i Ram - Corsair x gb Powersupply - W Graphics Card - Gainward GeForce GTX Monitor - LG Flatron W nbsp

A:Computer crashes with fuzzy screen

I suspect at first look that your PSU is under powered but would need to check it. What is the model and make of the PSU. How many hard drives and what make are they and likewise for the CD/DVD drives. What version of Windows are you running.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-crashes-with-fuzzy-screen.161878/
Relevancy 21.07%

I used XXclone to transfer my hdd contents from a 80gb volume to a 250gb one. After it was done it said i may need to make it bootable? i changed boot order and it seems to be working so far, XXclone said "this is the first incantation of windows after xxclone transferred the registry to this volume". Anything i should know before formatting the other HDD?

A:Do I need to make a drive "bootable" before using it?

Pull the 80 gig and see if you can boot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-need-to-make-a-drive-bootable-before-using-it.161616/
Relevancy 42.57%

My laptop stopped booting in either safe/command or normal mode. it keeps shutting down after first Windows logo screen(animated block moving from left to right) and keeps repeating...

So to recover data i took drive out and connected as via adapter to USB port. Now when i open it it says 'drive not formmated'. So used EASEUS - it went though and pulled about 25GB data but all are in 'SWF' and 'GZ' format. nothing else.

Can someone guide me what can i do to either fix or recover data?

Thank you,

A:2.5" SATA drive - data recovery

Hi, i think you should download Hiren use Acronis its better at restoring partitions...

Hope that helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-5-sata-drive-data-recovery.161635/