Windows Support Forum

Carbon X1 will not start after Windows update

Q: Carbon X1 will not start after Windows update

Hi, I have an X1 Carbon. I did an automated Windows update today, it seemed to work fine initially but then my laptop got into a blue screen loop and kept restarting. The computer worked for a while after that and then gave a blue screen again. This time the keyboards flashed as well for a while, and then the computer turned off. I cannot start the laptop since then. I searched the forum and tried the hard reset, but it did not help. When I try powering on, keyboard lights turn on for just a second and then they go off. The green power button light turns on but the computers does not start. Can anyone help? I am traveling for work and looking forward to getting help. Thanks!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Carbon X1 will not start after Windows update

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Carbon X1 will not start after Windows update

What generation of carbin? What OS?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Carbon-X1-will-not-start-after-Windows-update/td-p/3421675
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello, I just recently performed the 26-Jul BIOS update to 1.14, for my Thinkpad Carbon X1 (20BS) with windows 10.The update went ok, but afterwards, Windows is crashing when booting. Using a bootable Windows 10 installation disk also crashes when booting. The recovery environment also crashes when booting. Using detailed logs, it seems to crash when activating the ACPI microcontroller. I would assume that has something to do with the UEFI update, that I have disabled in the BIOS. Enabling it does not recognise the disk, as it is not a GPT partition. I tried to rollback the BIOS, but it does not allow it.  Do you have any suggestion on how to proceeed? Thanks,Pedro

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-Carbon-X1-20BS-Bios-update-windows-locked/td-p/3385126
Relevancy 54.18%

My computer was doing some Windows updates yesterday. I thought the process was done, but now I'm thinking maybe I shut it down a little too soon. This morning when I tried to boot up the computer, I couldn't get past the start up screen with the Lenovo logo. Sometimes the screen just stays there, sometimes it moves on and the screen just goes blank. I can't make it past this screen. I've tried doing a hard reset. I poked around some of the settings in safe mode (which I can't always get to), but nothing seemed to work. Anyone have any ideas on recovering rather than having to wipe the whole computer and start over?

A:x1 Carbon won't start up

I got my ThinkPad X1 Carbon 4th gen directly from Lenovo two days ago. This morning it won't turn on let alone boot. Tried the reset several times. Tried the press power 10 times for 1 sec then 30 sec. Still won't turn on. I spent about two days getting everything set up. Appartently two days wasted. I am working with Lenovo on getting a new machine but this is pretty frustrating. I don't see a way to disconnect the battery whcih is part of the "press power 10 times for 1 sec then 30 sec" solution that I have seen on the web. I think Mark_Lenovo has posted on this (for perhaps older X1s) but I cannot see a way to contact him. I think this must be some sort of static issue. I really hope this is not a common X1 problem. I wonder if I should just get a refund and start with a different computer. I have a ThinkStation which works well which is why I went for a ThinkPad to replace my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina Display.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/x1-Carbon-won-t-start-up/td-p/3419242
Relevancy 53.32%

I received my Thinkpad X Carbon a week ago and it's been working fine both on battery power and on the AC adapter the entire time This morning I closed my laptop like usual so it goes to sleep but doesn't shut down and brought it to does Carbon up start X1 Thinkpad not class with me When I tried to wake it up though nothing would work It won't boot with the AC plugged in either I'm pretty sure the battery is an integrated battery and I don't want to void my warranty by fiddling with it nbsp Does anyone know what I can do about this problem It's the only computer I have in college and I'm taking some computer science courses so my problem Thinkpad X1 Carbon does not start up is pretty urgent I also can't Thinkpad X1 Carbon does not start up feasibly bring it to somewhere to repair since I'm in a pretty isolated town and I don't own a car nbsp Also by reading the forums here I'm under the impression that the Lenovo customer support line is simply terrible Is that true nbsp Once again thanks for any possible insight Solved Go to Solution

A:Thinkpad X1 Carbon does not start up

'afternoon.
Welcome to the community.

Sorry you're having issues.
Have you tried the "reset" hole on the bottom of the laptop? I believe that it's unmarked, but you'd use a paper clip to trip the switch. I don't have an X1C, personally, so I can't describe it further. I'm mobile at the moment, so have limited search capability, but if you search the forum for a post by Mark_Lenovo, I believe there's a picture of it.

Regarding contacting Service, I've personally never had anything but good experiences. Please keep in mind that on open forums like these, the good reports seldom get posted.

hth a little.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-Carbon-does-not-start-up/td-p/868577
Relevancy 53.32%

About three months ago I got a new X1 Carbon Touch. I was using it this morning, and closed it so that it would go into sleep mode. I've been trying to boot it back up with no success. Whenever I hit the power button, the light surrounding the power button and the keyboard backlight turns on for about half a second before turning off again. I have tried plugging in the power chord, holding the button, hitting the reset button, holding the reset button (both with the power chord plugged in and unplugged), holding both the power button and reset button at the same time, pressing the power button while holding the reset button and vice versa, all with no success. If you have any suggestions with what to do, I'd love some help. Thank you.

A:X1 Carbon Touch won't start up

Hi,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

I?m sorry to hear that your Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is not powering on.

I would like to thank you for all the effort you?ve taken to fix the issue on your own.

Try swapping the AC adapter and check if it?s a power supply failure.

Since you?ve done almost all the possible troubleshooting steps, I would strongly recommend you to contact our technical support for assistance.

Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number. I?m sure they will be a great help.

Best Regards,
Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-Touch-won-t-start-up/td-p/1460205
Relevancy 53.32%

After updating Windows 10 to the newest version today,And updating to the newest BIOS version using Lenovo System Updatemy Thinkpad X1 (4th gen) won't startup by opening the lid, like it used to.Lenovo Support says they can't help me. Going into stand-by and waking up by closing and opening the lid works fine.What doesn't work is powering up the Thinkpad (after shutdown) by opening the lid. Any ideas?  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-Carbon-4th-gen-Does-not-start-up-after-opening-the/td-p/3423776
Relevancy 53.32%

i recently got a new mainboard for my x1c 2015 and i find that the BIOS just could not get updated through the Lenovo official software.so strangemy current BIOS/EC version is1.03 (N14UJ02W) 1.03 (N14ET25W) 1.02 (N14HT29W)what i've done trying solve this:1 BIOS settings-checked.there is no bios update prevention settings2 BIOS reset-tried but it doesn't work3 System version-changed from Win7 to Win10,nothing happened.anyone could help me figure this problem?.besides,i noticed the info page of BIOS showed that the ME firmware version is blank,could there be any connection with my prob?thanks a lot guys.

Relevancy 52.89%

I just updated my laptop the bios the ... Carbon - After computer at X1 remains update, update that was recommended by Lenovo and I left it on to update as it told me not to touch anything or turn anything off nbsp After X1 Carbon - After update, computer remains at the ... the update during its automatic restart it went to this screen and just stayed there for about hours Since then I've tried playing around with the BIOS menu and X1 Carbon - After update, computer remains at the ... tried doing the F - Recovery but it returns to the same windows logo screen except it loads for about seconds and says 'Preparing Automatic Repair' and freezes nbsp P S I had Windows factory but updated to Windows free upgrade way back when they were offering the X1 Carbon - After update, computer remains at the ... free upgrade nbsp nbsp nbsp I may just try taking it to a repair shop I would like to be able to recover files before wiping the entire drive but if needed I am willing to lose everything in order to have my computer working again nbsp Thanks in advance

A:X1 Carbon - After update, computer remains at the ...

Hello,
Welcome to Lenovo Community.
Does this appear to be the problem that you are having? If so, a workaround is included on that page: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/SF16-T0079
Let us know if that helps.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-After-update-computer-remains-at-the-windows-logo/td-p/3432680
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi, I've got an X1 Carbon 20FB (4th gen), and noticed it doesn't have Lenovo System Update on it, which I've found useful in the past. So I went to the Lenovo downloads site and found System Update, but it doesn't list the 20FB as one of the X1 Carbons it supports - it only goes up to 20BS, 20BT: http://support.lenovo.com/se/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-... (See the "Note for ThinkPad X1 Carbon users") Should I avoid downloading System Update then? I've not noticed anything that's not functioning, but I figured it makes sense to keep things up to date from a security and features point of view. Why is it not included by default? Thanks for any advice!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/System-Update-on-X1-Carbon-20FB/td-p/3427436
Relevancy 52.89%

i download Need For Speed Carbon Update v as it says cannot create seesssion and stuff so i download update and when isntalling the command prompt comes and goes so i probally think it installed but when igo in game it dont work at all it still says v and same problem this is the regini EXP DEFAULT INSTALL DIR - gt DEFAULT INSTALL DIR EXP quot Software Electronic Arts Need for Speed Carbon quot - gt quot Software Electronic Arts Need for Speed Carbon quot EXP quot Install Dir quot - gt quot Install Dir quot EXP HKLM quot Software Electronic Arts Need for Speed Carbon quot quot Install Dir quot - gt C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO DEF DEFAULT INSTALL DIR lt - C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO ------------ EXP SPANISH INSTALL DIR - gt SPANISH INSTALL DIR EXP quot Software Electronic Arts Need for Speed Carbon quot - gt quot Software Electronic Arts Need for Speed Carbon quot EXP quot Install Dir quot - gt quot Install Dir quot EXP HKLM quot Software Electronic Arts Need for Speed Carbon quot quot Install Dir quot - gt C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO DEF SPANISH INSTALL DIR lt - C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO ------------ EXP INSTALL DIR - gt INSTALL DIR EXP DEFAULT INSTALL DIR - gt DEFAULT INSTALL DIR EXP VAR DEFAULT INSTALL DIR - gt C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO EXP quot quot - gt quot EXP EQ VAR DEFAULT INSTALL DIR quot quot - gt EXP SPANISH INSTALL DIR - gt SPANISH INSTALL DIR EXP VAR SPANISH INSTALL DIR - gt C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO EXP DEFAULT INSTALL DIR - gt DEFAULT INSTALL DIR EXP VAR DEFAULT INSTALL DIR - gt C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO NUM - gt EXP IF EQ VAR DEFAULT INSTALL DIR quot quot VAR SPANISH INSTALL DIR VAR DEFAULT INSTALL DIR - gt C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO DEF INSTALL DIR lt - C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO ------------ EXP nfsc patch ini - gt nfsc patch ini EXP Patch - gt Patch EXP InstallDirectory - gt InstallDirectory EXP INSTALL DIR - gt INSTALL DIR EXP VAR INSTALL DIR - gt C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO SET INI nfsc patch ini Patch InstallDirectory Problems) Speed For (Update Carbon : Need lt - C PROGRA ELECTR NEEDFO Need For Speed : Carbon (Update Problems) please help nbsp

A:Need For Speed : Carbon (Update Problems)

i am a big fan of nfs but now i can't play it.

it starts up. no problem but after a few minutes.. it hangs up then crashes. it automatically exits. then it sets my desktop resolution from 1152x864 to 800x600.

what could be the possible problem? help me with this pls. thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-for-speed-carbon-update-problems.559620/
Relevancy 52.89%

Dear all nbsp I have a BS with a very old piece of BIOS installed N ET W dated - - nbsp I have been trying to apply all versions of BIOS listed in nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp http support lenovo Carbon X1 failing update to BIOS - com us en products laptops-and-netbooks thinkpad-x-series-laptops thinkpad-x - nbsp in vain as BIOS update software both Windows version and CD-ROM version fails to verify secured flash image nbsp I would appreciate it very much if you kindly suggest any solution nbsp P S nbsp The BIOS installed on my nbsp X Carbon is NOT listed nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp X1 Carbon - failing to update BIOS https download lenovo com ibmdl pub pc pccbbs mobiles n uj w txt nbsp Package nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp ID nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp UEFI BIOS BIOS ID nbsp ECP ECP ID nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Rev nbsp Issue Date-------------------- nbsp ------------------- nbsp --------------- nbsp nbsp ---- nbsp ---------- nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N UJ W nbsp N ET W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N HT W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp X1 Carbon - failing to update BIOS nbsp N UJ W nbsp N ET W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N HT W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N ET W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N HT W nbsp nbsp For nbsp factory use nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N UJ W nbsp N ET W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N HT W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N UJ W nbsp N ET W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N HT W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N UJ W nbsp N ET W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N HT W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N UJ W nbsp N ET W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N HT W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N UJ W nbsp N ET W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N HT W nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp

A:X1 Carbon - failing to update BIOS

HiPlease, specify, the real lapop model. Machine-Type 20BS belongs the 3rd generation of x1c.Anyway, do you have laptop engineering sample?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-failing-to-update-BIOS/td-p/2151461
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm setting up a new X1 Carbon with machine type 20FB. It came with a Samsung MZNTY256HDHP SSD. I noted there was a recent SSD firmware update package for this laptop model, so I downloaded and ran the updater. It reported there were no updates. However, after digging a bit deeper, I discovered that the SSD firmware updater for the X1 Carbon 20A7/20A8/etc. DOES have an update for the SSD in this machine. What is going on here? Does this firmware update somehow only apply when the SSD is installed in a 20A7? Or did this particular model of SSD just get missed when Lenovo was putting together the firmware update package for the 20FB?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Missing-SSD-firmware-update-for-X1-Carbon-20FB/td-p/3485035
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello nbsp I have a ThinkPad X Carbon rd generation Two days ago I have updated the nbsp Carbon... ThinkPad Fan - Problem BIOS Update after X1 BIOS to the latest version nbsp The installation went well and I successfully booted into Windows with no Fan Problem after BIOS Update - ThinkPad X1 Carbon... issues However the fan was not working anymore I did not notice this until the laptop was extremely nbsp hot which is very unusual for this laptop under low medium load In particular nbsp I was just running a disk cleanup using the native Windows tool and after minutes I decided nbsp to kill the process this operation usually takes - minutes My Fan Problem after BIOS Update - ThinkPad X1 Carbon... feeling was that due to the temperature the cpu was in nbsp throttling At that moment I noticed that the fan was not active nbsp After a shutdown the fan was again working However I noticed that the fan nbsp kicks in much more often than it nbsp was used to For this reason I did two things - I have downgraded the BIOS to BIOS updated the CPU microcode I am not sure that the microcode was downgraded as well when I downgraded the BIOS nbsp - I have run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool Fan Problem after BIOS Update - ThinkPad X1 Carbon... I was afraid that the high temperatures may have damaged the cpu The tool reported that the maximum temperature of the cpu during the benchmark was always safely within the expected threshold and all the tests were passed nbsp Now I still can see that the fan kicks in much more often than usual I have noticed using sensors nbsp under nbsp Ubuntu that every time there is a very short burst peak of cpu usage e g I start Google Chrome and visit nbsp Gmail the sensors report a very high temperature nbsp but just for lt nbsp second e g from degrees to degrees and then soon goes nbsp back to degrees This is the reason why the fan kicks in it remains active for - minutes starting from a high RPM value and then going down as expected I don't think that the temperature actually reaches degrees I expect an immediate but small increase e g degrees of the temperature due to the burst but nothing like degrees nbsp I think that the sensors are nbsp returning junky values I never saw this temperature behaviour instant jump temperature degrees or more due to short bursts peaks before the BIOS update nbsp In my opinion the sensors are not returning stable values as before but they are very jumpy Few questions - Is there any bug report about BIOS update How can you explain the temporarely non working fan after the update I think this may be a serious concern - How can I debug my issue with the temperature sensors Is there any way to reset them Do you think this is a software or hardware problem - Do you think that the high temperature may have damaged the sensors nbsp nbsp Thank you Emilio nbsp

A:Fan Problem after BIOS Update - ThinkPad X1 Carbon...

Laptop has got anti overheat thing so if temp rises over 100c it will automatically power off like if the battery was dead and that you unplugged it that sort of power off so temps you don't have to worry but as long laptop alone isn't idle at 80-90c then laptop needs clean out to fix it and if that won't fix it then it could be something else

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Fan-Problem-after-BIOS-Update-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-3rd-generation/td-p/3307720
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, guys!Some info:X1 Carbon (type 20FC)Intel HD Graphics 520 (driver 20.19.15.4331)Windows is up-to-date So far, everything works fine. If I update my graphics driver through Lenovo Companion to 20.19.15.4444, backlighting is stuck at 100%.If I update my graphics driver through Lenovo's support website/Windows device managers' automatic update to 21.20.16.4505, it kills my backlight completely. The only way to get things back to normal is to boot in safe mode, uninstall the graphics driver, reboot and prevent Lenovo Companion from installing the new driver automatically. Please tell me what's wrong and/or fix the grahics driver. Thanks.  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-graphics-driver-update-kills-backlight/td-p/3451963
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi so as you can read from the title Windows won t start up and doesn t make any normal start up beeps and just presents me with a black no signal screen I assume it automatically installed updates when it last shut down as it was telling me that there were updates ready to be installed and I do remember start won't 7 after and screen Windows Update, up no 'star no PC Windows black signal that one of the updates was for nVidia graphics drivers However I have already tried the following to try and get it working -Removed both graphics cards PC Windows 7 won't start up after Windows Update, black screen no signal and no 'star and replaced them with one old ATI graphics card -Removed the power cord and held the power button for minutes apparently this was a solution -Removed all USB devices -Replaced the keyboard with a PS keyboard -Tried only one of the current graphics cards -Tried using one monitor with each graphics card -Removed each RAM stick one by one however when I only had one RAM stick in it made Sharp beeps on start-up and then turned off and turned back on by itself -Unplugged the hard drive -Plugged the hard drive into a different SATA port -Removed the motherboard battery for minutes in attempt to rest the bios So far nothing has worked and I wondered if someone had a solution The spec of the PC is Windows Home Premium Bit Intel Core i OEM Possessor LG Blu Ray x GGC-H L Drive LG DVDRW x IDE Drive OEM Cardreader Samsung TB SATA Hard Drive x GSKILL i DDR GB RAM Corsair PSU W x nVidia Geforce GT PC Windows 7 won't start up after Windows Update, black screen no signal and no 'star GB

A:PC Windows 7 won't start up after Windows Update, black screen no signal and no 'star

cmos reset
turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
reinsert the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/pc-windows-7-wont-start-up-after-windows-update-black-screen-no-signal-and-no-star-582767.html
Relevancy 46.01%

About a month ago I replaced my hard drive on my laptop. After reinstalling Windows 7 from some recovery disks I had I went through the process of updating the OS. After about a week of the computer being fine I went through another batch of windows updates and windows would not start. It kept going into the system repair which would never finish and bring me to the recovery manager. I can't do a system restore because my computer keeps telling me I have no recovery points. Even though I checked and I did have recovery points before this problem. The only thing I have been able to do is a factory reset. I have done it 3 times so far and each time after about a week this problem happens again. I'm not exactly sure which update it is but I do know that it an update after the SP1 update. Any input would be very much appreciated.

A:Windows can't start after update

Hello pmeade92 and welcome to Seven Forums.

I think I'd run some diagnostic checks on that new hard drive to see if you got a bad one. SeaTools for Windows is a diagnostic made by Seagate that works on all hard drives, even those not made by Seagate. The manufacturer of the new hard drive probably has their own diagnostic tool available as well.

SeaTools | Seagate

It's also possible that soemthing within the updates is causing an issue. Whenever there's more than just a few updates I prefer installing them manually just a few at a time. Start with the critical/required, then the recommended, then the optional. Keep track of the KB numbers. Install the first group of 5 or 10, reboot the computer and see if everything works. If it does, install the next group, rebooting after each group installs. If any problems are noted you'll know exactly which group to uninstall. Reinstall each update individually and reboot after each one. They'll either install properly or you'll know which one is the problem. Save it for last and continue installing the next group. It's a lot slower this way but usually results in a better update experience.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/237050-windows-cant-start-after-update.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I'm having trouble trying to enable my windows automatic update service when I try to start it I get the following Error A thread could not start Can't Update Windows be created for this service Here is my Hijack this logfile Code Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP v WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon Can't start Windows Update exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe D Windows Programs AVAST aswUpdSv exe D Windows Programs AVAST ashServ exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe D Windows Programs AVAST ashMaiSv exe D Windows Programs AVAST ashWebSv exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exe D WINDO AVAST ashDisp exe C Program Files Ashampoo Ashampoo FireWall FireWall exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLI exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe D Windows Programs Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system notepad exe C DOCUME Shaun LOCALS Temp Temporary Directory for hijackthis zip HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C WINDOWS pchealth helpctr System panels blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - Toolbar Ask Toolbar - d e-fd b- e -b - d b f - C Program Files AskBarDis bar bin askBar dll O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run ATICCC quot C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe quot runtime O - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exe O - HKLM Run avast D WINDO AVAST ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run MSPY C WINDOWS system IME PINTLGNT ImScInst exe SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run CmPCIaudio RunDll CMICNFG cpl CMICtrlWnd O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot D Windows Programs QT Lite qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run Ashampoo FireWall quot C Program Files Ashampoo Ashampoo FireWall FireWall exe quot -TRAY O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - Global Startup ATI CATALYST System Tray lnk C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLI exe O - Extra context menu item Add to Google Photos Screensa amp ver - res C WINDOWS system GPhotos scr O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res D WINDO OFFICE OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C WINDOWS system shdocvw dll O - Extra button no name - DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Spybot - S... Read more

A:Can't start Windows Update

Hi,
To resolve this problem, follow these steps to enable the Automatic Updates service:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. In the right pane, double-click Automatic Updates.
3. Click the Log On tab.
4. In the You can enable or disable this service for the hardware profiles listed below box, click the current hardware profile, and then click Enable.
5. Click Apply, and then click the General tab.
6. Click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-start-windows-update-366180.html
Relevancy 46.01%

first of all i newbie here, if mine thread already exist please forgive me.i really need help.i already added windows update windows 7 reg key still havent see windows update in the services.exe and couldnt start it! im having blue screen death also.please tell me the easiest way to restore back all the services.by the way i deleted all restore point too

A:cant start windows 7 update

Open Windows Update
Click on Change Settings
Select 'Never Update...'
Click OK
exit Windows Update
Now open Windows update again
Click on Change Settings
Select 'Update automatically'
Click OK
exit Windows Update
Open Windows Update, and do a manual Check for Updates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/263602-cant-start-windows-7-update.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I Do not know what happened to my computer AFTER WINDOWS WON'T START UPDATE I had not used for a couple of days Its a Windows bit laptop When i tried to start it up I was not really paying attention figuring it would do its usual thing but I recall it saying something about installing updates or something extra then in about a minute or two it said quot configuring windows quot and after about minutes it said that it had failed to configure and it said system would shut down which it did WINDOWS WON'T START AFTER UPDATE and then restarted and the whole scenario played out over and over again it just says configuring windows failed restart so i do not know what happened or how to fix it For several weeks I have been working with someone at microsoft with my computer problems and he had it going great for about a week and then today - this problem I had to to a system repair i guess it was with microsoft where I started it with a disk and WINDOWS WON'T START AFTER UPDATE it did not wipe out everything on the hard drive but I cannot remember how to do it and I hate to do it because afterwards there are all kinds of updates the computer has to do but I just can t figure how to get it past the quot configuring and then shutdown restart loop quot

A:WINDOWS WON'T START AFTER UPDATE

You can use this guide on how to perform repair options using your installation or recovery disk. There are also links for other repair options included throughout the tutorial:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/392229/windows-wont-start-after-update/
Relevancy 46.01%

Just wondering if there has been any new suggestion for fixing this problem, or if Microsoft is doing anything about it. I've tried all the recommended fixes I can find, both from this site and others, and none has worked. I know there are others out there with the same problem.

Running Windows 7 Pro (64) on desktop. It's been doing this since I set it up. Have never run any successful update.

A:Windows 7 update won't start

Hi jpgirard,

Whats actually happening when you're trying to do a Windows update?
Please come back with more information about the issue, such as faultcodes and problem description.

If you could also attach a dump of your eventlog so we can have a look at it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-update-wont-start-586670.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I have two computers experiencing the same issue Windows Update Run Won't Start or They were both off for about weeks Both working perfectly when I shut them down at that time When I started them today and attempted to run Windows Update I got a Dialog Box that said the service wasn't running and to restart the computer It's exactly the same on both machines I went to Administrative Tools opened Services and restarted Windows Update and rebooted no change I have since rebooted several times with the same result Windows Update won't run Other then that everything seems fine I have run the troubleshooter on Windows Update Won't Start or Run both machines done quot Clean Boots quot on both machines done startup repair booting from the Windows disk and nothing has changed Everything Windows Update Won't Start or Run else runs fine with no issues I just can't get to updates Here is a picture of the Dialog Box I see when I attempt to run Windows Update Dialog Box Any ideas folks Windows Ultimate SP Bit Norton Internet Security

A:Windows Update Won't Start or Run

I never fetch files from sites with which I am not personally familiar.

Would you please upload the file using this procedure:

Post a File or Screenshot in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/230806-windows-update-wont-start-run.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey there I'm new here and have a big problem which me took much days trying to solve I have a HP Notebook with windows bit Everything seems to work fine till i wanted to install my Ipod in Itunes When I open Itunes I get the message The registry settings used by the itunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing This can happen as a result of installing other burning software Please reinstall itunes Sadly the reinstall didn't help So I wanted to install the windows updates I start update will not Windows tried many times but everytime it says that the Windows update service isn't running and that i have to restart the computer But this didn't work either So i checked many threads and solutions I tried to install Windows update will not start the windows update agent manually because i saw that i don't have the windows update service in services The installation failed with teh Error x ffff I also registered the windows update many times but nothing seems to help I'm sorry when I gave you to less information but i hope someone has Windows update will not start a solution for my problem Please ask if you need more information Hope someone can help me Thank you and kind regards Steven

A:Windows update will not start

Hi Abushgeer, welcome to the forums

You could try Microsoft Fix It, just click the Fix It link on the following page (originally a Vista issue but could still solve it)
Error code 0x80000FF when you download updates on a Windows Vista-based computer by using Windows Update or Microsoft Update

Hope it helps

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/120431-windows-update-will-not-start.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I get the following error when I try to start Windows update x b Windows Defender also won't start I bought the year license for Hitman Pro with Kickstart Can't activate Keeps telling me to turn off firewalls which I've done Can't create a kickstart USB either Keeps Windows Update won't start failing Something screwy is going on and I'm lost I've scanned with AVG MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware and removed a lot of threats Here are logs DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Mee Windows Update won't start at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV AVG AntiVirus Disabled Updated E C - B - FA - AB - E CB ECD SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP AVG AntiVirus Disabled Updated B F C - - E- - BB D A Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows system atiesrxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Program Files IDT WDM STacSV exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system Hpservice exe C Windows system atieclxx exe C Program Files HitmanPro hmpsched exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system WLANExt exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C Program Files IDT WDM AESTSr exe C Program Files x Belkin Router Setup and Monitor BelkinService exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files x AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Belkin Belkin USB Print and Storage Center Bkapcs exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software btwdins exe C Program Files x CinemaNow CinemaNow Media Manager CinemanowSvc exe C Program Files x Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exe C Program Files x Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrS H exe C Program Files Microsoft Forefront UAG Endpoint Components uagqecsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files x Amazon Amazon Unbox Video ADVWindowsClientService exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Windows system svchost exe -k bthsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Support Framework hpsa service exe C Program Files x Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files x Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Wireless Assistant HPWA Service exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system locator exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqWmiEx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k secsvcs C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP MediaSmart SmartMenu exe C Program Files Canon MyPrinter BJMYPRT EXE C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files x Common Files LightScribe LightScribeControlPanel exe C Program Files x Logitech Vid HD Vid exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Internet Services iCloudServices exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Internet Services ApplePhotoStreams exe C Program Files x Steam Steam exe C Program Files x Amazon Amazon Unbox Video ADVWindowsClientSystemTray exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C Program Files Logitech Logitech WebCam Software LWS exe C Program Files x DivX DivX Update DivXUpdate exe C Program Files x AVG AVG avgui exe C Program Files x Citrix ICA Client concentr exe C Program Fil... Read more

A:Windows Update won't start

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Click the Report button and the report will open in Notepad.IMPORTANTIf you click the Clean button all items listed in the report will be removed.If you find some false positive items or programs that you wish to keep, Close the AdwCleaner windows.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Check off the element(s) you wish to keep.Click on the Clean button follow the prompts.A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt (n is a number). Please downloadJunkware Removal Tool to your Desktop.Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts.Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, right-mouse click it and select Run as administrator.The tool will open and start scanning your system.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.Please post the contents of JRT.txt into your reply.===Please download ComboFix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop. For information regarding this download, please visit this web page: TurorialLink 1Link 2IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop1. Close any open browsers.2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.3. Do not install any other programs until this if fixed.How to : Disable Anti-virus and Firewall...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.htmlDouble click on ComboFix.exe and follow the prompts.When finished, it will produce a report for you.Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt Note: Do not mouse click ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stallNote: If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.htmlNote: If after running ComboFix you get this error message "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." when attempting to run a program all you need to do is restart the computer to reset the registry.===Please paste the logs in your next reply DO NOT ATTACH THEM.Let me know what problem persists.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513619/windows-update-wont-start/
Relevancy 46.01%

I get the following error when I try to start Windows update x b Windows Defender also won't start I bought the year license for Hitman Pro with Kickstart Can't activate Keeps telling me to turn off firewalls which I've done Can't create a kickstart USB either Keeps failing Something screwy is going on and I'm lost I've scanned with AVG MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware and removed a lot of threats Here are logs DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Mee at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV AVG AntiVirus Disabled Updated E C - B - FA - AB - E CB ECD SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP AVG AntiVirus Disabled Updated B F C - - E- - BB D A Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows Update won't Windows start system atiesrxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Program Files IDT WDM STacSV exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system Hpservice exe C Windows system atieclxx exe C Program Files HitmanPro hmpsched exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system WLANExt exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C Program Files IDT Windows Update won't start WDM Windows Update won't start AESTSr exe C Windows Update won't start Program Files x Belkin Router Setup and Monitor BelkinService exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files x AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Belkin Belkin USB Print and Storage Center Bkapcs exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software btwdins exe C Program Files x CinemaNow CinemaNow Media Manager CinemanowSvc exe C Program Files x Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exe C Program Files x Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrS H exe C Program Files Microsoft Forefront UAG Endpoint Components uagqecsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files x Amazon Amazon Unbox Video ADVWindowsClientService exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Windows system svchost exe -k bthsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Support Framework hpsa service exe C Program Files x Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files x Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Wireless Assistant HPWA Service exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system locator exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqWmiEx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k secsvcs C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP MediaSmart SmartMenu exe C Program Files Canon MyPrinter BJMYPRT EXE C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files x Common Files LightScribe LightScribeControlPanel exe C Program Files x Logitech Vid HD Vid exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Internet Services iCloudServices exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Internet Services ApplePhotoStreams exe C Program Files x Steam Steam exe C Program Files x Amazon Amazon Unbox Video ADVWindowsClientSystemTray exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C Program Files Logitech Logitech WebCam Software LWS exe C Program Files x DivX DivX Update DivXUpdate exe C Program Files x AVG AVG avgui exe ... Read more

You've posted in the wrong forum.
If you want one of the malware pros to look at your log you need to post a new topic following the
instructions here:  Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum - BleepingComputer.com

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513610/windows-update-wont-start/
Relevancy 46.01%

I booted up my PC today and a won't start Update Windows bubble popped up that window automatic updates was disabled and now I can't get it to start again When I go to turn on Automatic Updates I get the error message The service cannot be started either because it is not enabled or has no enable devices associated with it I did all of the steps you recommended I already have service pack installed Just the last week or so I have had pop-ups Here is th log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system Windows Update won't start LEXPPS EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Windows Update won't start Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C WINDOWS system HPZipm exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center SymWSC exe C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C Program Files Digital Media Reader shwiconem exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C WINDOWS system LXSUPMON EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Gamevance gamevance exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files FinePixViewer QuickDCF exe C Program Files Google Google Updater GoogleUpdater exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB RealOneMessageCenter exe C Program Files Sony Handheld HOTSYNC EXE C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Product Assistant bin hprblog exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS system mmc exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll R - URLSearchHook no name - B B - - d -B D- EBB BA F A - C Program Files AskSBar SrchAstt bin A SRCHAS DLL O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar Ask Toolbar - F D B -DA B- daf- E -DFEE A AA - C Program Files AskSBar bar bin ASKSBAR DLL O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HK... Read more

Hi

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

Please continue as follows:
Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix, link
Remember to re-enable them afterwards.

Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the following reports for further review, and so we may continue cleansing the system:

C:\ComboFix.txt
New HijackThis log.

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/windows-update-wont-start-282397.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi, I'm new here but I'm desperate. I got this dell computer from a friend so I have no windows cd. It's always worked perfect until now. This morning I saw it was updating itself when I turned it on, took long. It worked fine so I ignored it. In the middle of nothing it suddenly restarted and now it says windows can't start. When I try to repair it gets stuck loading files, and when I go to the advanced boot options, it won't start on safe mode or with Last Known Good Configuration. I always end up in the sane place, stuck loading files. i know next to nothing, so I'm afraid I'll kill it if I continue trying. Is there a way to fix? Thanks!

A:Windows 7 won't start after update

If you don't have an install disk, can't do a system restore, are unable to get into safe mode, I would suggest you contact your friend and see if he can help you.

At the moment you can't even reinstall the OS if needed. Do you have access to another computer if you remove the hard drive and put it in a USB case? So you can at least scan the drive for any malware or bad sectors? (Make sure the second computer has it's antivirus up to date along with Microsoft updates!)

Your options are limited with what you've told us and if you can't get the OS to load or repair our hands are tied.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481344/windows-7-wont-start-after-update/
Relevancy 46.01%

My daughter's laptop will not load Windows 7 and it was working fine prior to this. We get the error message that it may be due to a recent update??? I tried running the repair tool which took over an hour and it was not able to fix the error. We get a black screen for quite awhile when we boot up and then it stays stuck on the splash screen stating "starting windows" for a longer while. Any ideas????

Thanks!

Jacki

Relevancy 46.01%

I'm having trouble trying to enable my windows Windows Can't start Update automatic update service when I try to start it I get the following Error A thread could not be created for this service Here is my Hijack this logfile Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP v WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Can't start Windows Update Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe D Windows Programs AVAST aswUpdSv exe D Windows Programs AVAST ashServ exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe D Windows Programs AVAST ashMaiSv exe D Windows Programs AVAST ashWebSv exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exe D WINDO AVAST ashDisp exe C Program Files Ashampoo Ashampoo FireWall FireWall exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLI exe D Windows Programs Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe G Stuff HiJackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C WINDOWS pchealth helpctr System panels blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run ATICCC C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe runtime O - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exe O - HKLM Run avast D WINDO AVAST ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run MSPY C WINDOWS system IME PINTLGNT ImScInst exe SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run CmPCIaudio RunDll CMICNFG cpl CMICtrlWnd O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task D Windows Programs QT Lite qttask exe -atboottime O - HKLM Run Ashampoo FireWall C Program Files Ashampoo Ashampoo FireWall FireWall exe -TRAY O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run MSConfig C WINDOWS PCHealth HelpCtr Binaries MSConfig exe auto O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce nlpo rundll advpack dll LaunchINFSection nlite inf nLiteReg User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User 'NETWORK SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce nlpo rundll advpack dll LaunchINFSection nlite inf nLiteReg User 'NETWORK SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User 'SYSTEM' O - HKUS DEFAULT Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User 'Default user' O - Global Startup ATI CATALYST System Tray lnk C Program Files ATI Techno... Read more

A:Can't start Windows Update

Hello, FFFanWelcome to the Bleeping Computer Forums. My name is Jat, and I will be helping you with your situation.If you do not make a reply in 5 days, we will have to close your topic.You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favourites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic. The topics you are tracking can be found here.Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools. Doing so could cause changes to the directions I have to give you and prolong the time required. Further more, you should not be taking any advice relating to this computer from any other source throughout the course of this fix.If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infect itself. Please reply using the button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.Old topics are closed after 3 days with no reply, and working topics are closed after 5 days. If for any reason you cannot complete instructions within that time, that's fine, just post back here so that we know you're still here.Please do not quote your reports in future, its easier to analyse when pasted directly, thanks Let's see what we can do:Dr Web - CureItBefore we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.Please download DrWeb-CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current versionRead the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.The Express scan will automatically begin.
(This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
(This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/219283/cant-start-windows-update/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi,

I have Windows Vista Home Premium installed.

When I installed the updates shown in the attached screen printout and restart the computer (Gateway laptop with Intel T2060 1.6GHz) I get the following message: "An unauthorized change has been made to your licence", I'm been ask to activate Windows online (although I already activated Windows!), which I can't do since I don't have a LAN connection...

The only solution I found was to restore to before this update installation and disable Windows update... which is a bit annoying, right?

I ran avast anti-virus and uniblue spyeraser... problem is still there.

Any help, please?
(I must say I purchased this laptop second-hand)

A:[SOLVED] can't start Windows (Vista) after Windows update installation

I would say selectively install them one at a time till you find the one that is causing the issue, and then research as to why it is doing this. Someone else may have a more pinpoint answer, but this is where I would start.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-cant-start-windows-vista-after-windows-update-installation-208135.html
Relevancy 45.58%

System Restore broke recently on my because Restore 7, System never Windows Update start. Windows completes can't Windows system Symptom I run Windows Update select any update it says quot Preparing to install quot and below that quot Creating a restore point quot and it hangs there forever So if I kill that and just go into System Restore it says quot Starting System Restore quot and quot Please Windows 7, Windows Update never completes because System Restore can't start. wait while System Restore Starts quot and stays there for about minutes before it decides it can't proceed and gets an ambiguous error saying that there are no Restore Points on this Disk But that's it I find no way to quot reset quot or quot clear out quot System Restore The bad part is Windows Updates will never run again because they need to create a Restore Point If I can't fix this I wish there was a way to tell Windows Update to ignore creating a Restore Point I use ERUNT anyway so don't really need System Restore Thanks for any real help TechnoMonster

A:Windows 7, Windows Update never completes because System Restore can't start.

Hi -

See if SFC helps --> http://jcgriff2.com/sfc.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-windows-update-never-completes-because-system-restore-cant-start-489718.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I'm currently offers only windows the 10 to option downloading Windows update start on Windows x Pro For a while now I've had windows update set to only get the update list and then let me choose when and what Windows update only offers the option to start downloading windows 10 to install Today I opened the program to do a check of new updates and download install them but I'm presented only with the option to upgrade to windows The problem is that I don't want to install Windows The problem is that I've read many at best marginal reports as well a many scathing condemnations of user experiences with Win and have decided that I don't want to take the upgrade at this time That said it seems MS is intent on preventing me from even attempting to install Win updates because there doesn't appear to be a way to begin installing them The are available to select for download under the available updates page but selecting them and pressing 'Ok' simply takes me back to the main screen with only the option to begin my upgrade process and no option to download install the selected updates Is there any way around this or am I really only presented with the option of running an insecure machine or updating to Win Thanks PS I have to say for the record that being pressured to make the upgrade to the point that MS seems to be forcing it through without giving me the option to decide for myself doesn't really give me the warm fuzzies about upgrading at all

A:Windows update only offers the option to start downloading windows 10

Allow me to make several subjective comments. First, although, you have heard many negative comments about Windows 10, I have used the OS, since the release and am more than happy with its performance. I have experience with Windows 98, Vista and Seven and now 10 and 10 is the best by far. Since this is only one man's opinion allow me to discuss the updates.
If you have not already given it a try, hide, the problem update. When you see it just right click and then indicate hide. The effect will be as though it was never there.
If you facts, are as you state, I would agree that you have every right to be unhappy with the circumstances.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/383615-windows-update-only-offers-option-start-downloading-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Simple questions Menu to and - Update Home 10 Start Windows Windows activate How here Running Win Home and the start menu essentially never works I can right click on the Windows Windows 10 Home - How to activate Start Menu and Windows Update icon and get some functionality including the ability to shut down restart But is there anyway to increase the reliability of the start menu working In Vista and even with Classic Shell it always worked flawlessly Windows Update How does it work and how do you access it Can you even utilize it on your own or does Microsoft choose when you get updates I can t seem to find an updater that lets you manually check for updates It is not present in the control panel but in settings I found an updater but clicking on it does nothing Does this mean there are no new updates I would prefer to install updates when I get a chance opposed to Microsoft bricking your computer for - minutes while it installs updates at the most inconvenient times Ironically I was backing up stuff preparing my desktop to move from to but I am not too sure if I want to now just seems very buggy and awkward in layout design nbsp

A:Windows 10 Home - How to activate Start Menu and Windows Update

Flogger23m said:

2) Windows Update. How does it work and how do you access it? Can you even utilize it on your own, or does Microsoft choose when you get updates? I can't seem to find an updater that lets you manually check for updates. It is not present in the control panelClick to expand...

There's a "word bubble" icon in your system tray, click it and you'll open the Action Center. Select the "All Settings" flywheel icon. There should be a "Update & Security" icon.

Despite being Win 10 Home, you can instruct it to search for available updates and install on your own volition. It's only if you don't do that, Windows will d/l and schedule an install time.

https://hardforum.com/threads/windows-10-home-how-to-activate-start-menu-and-windows-update.1899118/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi all,
I would like to run the Windows 7 update advisor but when I click the "start check" button absolutely nothing happens.

I googled for that phenomenon but only found entries saying that one needs to start this using "Run as administrator...", but this is on Windows XP, not Vista, and XP doesn't even have such an option. And my user-ID *IS* member of the Administrators group, so I should definitely BE running this with admin priv's.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to get this running?

Michael

A:Windows 7 update advisor does not start

If you have a special character in your login name (&, _, *, etc), then you must create a new user with administrator privileges that does not have any special characters. You cannot rename your account - this does not alter the account at all.

This has come up before. Please refer to this thread:

Upgrade advisor wont RUN!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/36965-windows-7-update-advisor-does-not-start.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Fatal error message: windows unable to start because registry could not be updated.
The above message occurred following a non destructive system restore.

How do I start my windows XP?

A:Windows can not start because registery can not update

Hi jadaro !

What method did you use to restore the system ? If you did a repair install then make sure you used an XP SP2 CD.

What's the complete error message ? If you're promted to press OK to see a setup log file then please do so and tell us about the error message you get.

Repeatedly press F8 while the computer starts and tell us if you can access the advanced options menu. If so try safe mode there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-can-not-start-because-registery-can-not-update-225702.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello I am not sure but this wouldn t be the first time After updating After Windows XP Wont Start Update 7 IE my computer with Windows critical updates IE will not load then I got a blue screen saying it had to do a physical dump of memory I just added ram so I have on ram and plenty of hard drive probably - free Maybe spyware You have helped me many times and I am so grateful this site exists I am attaching my hijack this log and I am doing a panda scan as we speak will post that when complete I am in the middle of some important research and I really need to get this working can you help IE 7 Wont Start After Windows XP Update thank you Lora aka bratt Central California Logfile IE 7 Wont Start After Windows XP Update of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system netdde exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DragToDisc DrgToDsc exe C Program Files America Online waol exe C WINDOWS system cisvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system tcpsvcs exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System ups exe C WINDOWS system fxssvc exe C WINDOWS System dmadmin exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exe C Program Files America Online shellmon exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee aolsoftware exe c program files common files aol ee services antiSpywareApp ver AOLSP Scheduler exe c program files common files aol ee aolsoftware exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http my msn com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar AOL Toolbar - D A-C B- -B B-B B E D C - C Program Files AOL Toolbar toolbar dll O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run RoxioDragToDisc quot C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DragToDisc DrgToDsc exe quot O - HKLM Run KernelFaultCheck systemroot system dumprep -k O - HKCU Run AOL Fast Start quot C Program Files America Online AOL EXE quot -b O - Extra context menu item amp Download Express download this file - C Program Files Download Express Add Url htm O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button AOL Toolbar - D A-C B- -B B-B B E D C - C Program Files AOL Toolbar toolbar dll O - Extra Tools menuitem AOL Toolbar - D A-C B- -B B-B B E D C - C Program Files AOL Toolbar toolbar dll O - Extra button Real com - CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - C WINDOWS system Shdocvw dll O - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - windir Network Diagnos... Read more

A:IE 7 Wont Start After Windows XP Update

Try using the Windoes System Restore Tool to before you installed the Windows Updates.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ie-7-wont-start-after-windows-xp-update.538903/
Relevancy 45.15%

I do not have a windows update in the start menu. Is there a way I can get the windows update to show in the start menu?

Relevancy 45.15%

Updated my XP Home SP2 to SP3 this morning because of Microsoft's persistent bugging on the task bar, and when trying to restart, I get to screen that says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully." It then gives options for various Safe Modes as well as for Last Known Good Configuration and Start Windows Normally.
Nothing works. I and sent into an endless loop that always takes me back to the same screen with the "We apologize......." text. I can't get out of it.

How do I proceed and correct this?
Thank you.

A:Solved: sp3 update won't allow Windows to start

Do you have the option of doing a system restore?
Do you have the correct disc?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-sp3-update-wont-allow-windows-to-start.746992/
Relevancy 45.15%

Anyone I did more than one clone The same thing happens each start after clone... Update Windows cannot time Windows update cannot be started I tried Automatic Trouble Shooter twice It failed I really don't know what to do next I thought to try and download the Windows update Agent haven't got that far Frustration got the best of me I am using HP Pavilion Windows Home Premium bit The clone is the same size as the original hard drive GB The Windows Update cannot start after clone... original hard drive is a Seagate GB replacement drive is Western Digital GB I also tried it with a TB Seagate same thing happened I wonder about this free Macrium now regarding clones I've come to the end of what to do I still have the old Seagate GB hdrive if needed I will appreciate anyone's help with the solving of this problem I am totally frustrating I hope not to discover more unseen or Windows Update cannot start after clone... unknown problems later I did SFC file checker quot Windows Resource found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them Refer to CBS LOG quot Should I attach this file Let me know I tried to download Windows Update Agent but didn't know which one several to choose from I thought of the Auto amp Manual update method I like the ability to choose if the Automatic Update didn't work I really don't know anything about this not much knowledge with the inner workings of the computer I think I got this message while trying to download Windows Update Agent- quot error WU E SELFUPDATE REQUIRED quot So I don't know what to download r download first Ask me any questions for further insights With much appreciation for your help sincerely strum

A:Windows Update cannot start after clone...

This may simply be caused by a bad set of Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers -

Installing the Intel Rapid Storage Drivers
try downloading and installing them from here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=22194

(you want the iata_enu.exe download)

Once complete, please reboot twice, then post an MGADiag report.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/234159-windows-genuine-activation-issue-posting-instructions.html

Ignore errors produced when clicking on the Copy button - they simply mean that the tool could not create the backup files for some reason. The data is still copied to the clipboard for pasting to your response.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/312240-windows-update-cannot-start-after-clone.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi all.

Windows Update Service is not running.

I check under services.msc its not listed.

I try to start in elevated command prompt (which is attached), says the service does not exist.

Ran windows update troubleshooter, and get an error (attached).

Restarted computer 10 times, no luck.

Any recommendations?

A:Windows Update service will not start

Check whether this blog helps. Kartones Blog

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398405-windows-update-service-will-not-start.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi all.

Windows Update Service is not running.

I check under services.msc its not listed.

I try to start in elevated command prompt (which is attached), says the service does not exist.

Ran windows update troubleshooter, and get an error (attached).

Restarted computer 10 times, no luck.

Any recommendations?

A:Windows Update service will not start

Check whether this blog helps. Kartones Blog

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/398405-windows-update-service-will-not-start.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Please help me start service won't Windows update get rid of this virus Here is my hijack this log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved Windows update service won't start at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static mom exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C WINDOWS system lxdccoms exe C Program Files CDBurnerXP NMSAccessU exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Documents and Settings Owner Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleUpdate exe C Program Files MSI SecureDoc Logon exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C Program Files TRENDnet TEW- UB WlanCU exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgemc exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files palmOne Hotsync exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files MSI VCenter VCenter exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Flock flock flock exe C Documents and Settings Owner Desktop hijackthis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page O - Toolbar ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker - F D B -DA B- daf- E -DFEE A AA - C Program Files ZoneAlarmSB bar bin SPYBLOCK DLL O - Toolbar Lexmark Toolbar - A C- F - -A D-EDD AC F - C Program Files Lexmark Toolbar toolband dll O - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - A A -BACC- D - - A E E - C PROGRA AVG AVG AVGTOO DLL O - HKLM Run amd dc opt C Program Files AMD Dual-Core Optimizer amd dc opt exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run LXDCCATS rundll C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X LXDCtime dll RunDLLEntry O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run AVG TRAY C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe O - HKLM Run BM e f Rundll exe quot C WINDOWS system pbkjmmhr dll quot s O - HKLM Run d cd rundll exe quot C WINDOWS system phslontb dll quot b O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run StartCCC C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CLIStart exe O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - HKCU Run Google Update quot C Documents and Settings Owner Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleUpdate exe quot c O - HKUS S- - - Run DWQueuedReporting quot C PROGRA COMMON MICROS DW dwtrig exe quot -t User 'SYSTEM' O - HKUS S- - - Run MySpaceIM C Program Files MySpace IM MySpaceIM exe User 'SYSTEM' O - HKUS DEFAULT Run DWQueuedReporting quot C PROGRA COMMON MICROS DW dwtrig exe quot -t User 'Default user' O - Global Startup SecureDoc lnk C Program Files MSI SecureDoc Logon exe O - Global Startup VCenter lnk C Program Files MSI VCenter VCenter exe O - Global Startup Wireless Configuration Utility HW lnk C Program Files TRENDnet TEW- UB WlanCU exe O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Unknown file in Winsock L... Read more

A:Windows update service won't start

Hello and welcome to TSF.

Apologies for the long delay in response. We have a large number of HijackThis logs to handle and it?s taking us longer to catch up. If you haven?t received help elsewhere already and still require assistance please perform the following:Download RSIT by random/random and save it to your desktop.
Double click RSIT.exe to start the tool and click Continue at the disclaimer.
When the scan completes it will open a log named log.txt maximized, and a log named info.txt minimized.
Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of both here.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don?t hear from you in three days this thread will be closed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/windows-update-service-wont-start-294882.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi, recently updated my XP to W7
SP 1 is installed as are all current updates.

Installation went fine and once running goes well but more often than not I am having difficulty on start up.
When I power up the start up gets as far as the W7 logo then simply goes no further.
The comp just freezes there untill I switch it off again no matter how long I wait.
When powered up again I have attempted several startup repairs in system recovery options. No faults are found.
After resorting to a system restore the computer will always start up successfully.

I use an external drive and have tried starting up without it connected to see if it makes a difference but no.

I'm starting to get fed up of having to constantly do system restores to get the comp going.
Absolutely any suggestions will be greatfully appreciated indeed!

Many thanks
Chris

A:Windows 7 Pro 64 update start up problems. Please can you help?

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

Did you reboot between each startup repair?

Are you also aware you can carry out a clean install using an upgrade disc?

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

It'll be less problematic than an upgrade install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/201414-windows-7-pro-64-update-start-up-problems-please-can-you-help.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Updated my laptop to windows 10 I was told by Microsoft my computer was compatible had no problems until this latest update . It failed to install after 2 attempts and then on the third attempt it shut down and now won't even start up again it looks like it's blown a fuse the only thing that works is the white light by power point

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-won-t-start-after-windows-10-update/td-p/5781603
Relevancy 45.15%

My windows update service is not working When I try to manually update I get an error window that says quot Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running You may need to restart your computer quot There is no error code I've contacted Microsoft and here are the Windows Service start Update won't steps I've taken per their instructions Clean boot Using msconfig I've disabled all non-microsoft services then restarted Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder I actually wasn't able to do this I accessed the command prompt as an administrator and entered this command Windows Update Service won't start quot net stop WuAuServ quot w o quotations The response I get is quot the service name is invalid quot Verify the relevant Windows Update services When I go to quot services msc quot Windows Update is not listed in my services BITS is set to automatic If you have any ideas please help I have of course ran malware scans I have some screen shots update log and sys info if you need it Thanks a lot

A:Windows Update Service won't start

Are you using the retail version of windows 7???
or are you still on the RTM/RC edition?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-update-service-wont-start-435187.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi
I am running Win 7 Enterprise edition and struggling to start Windows Update service. Upon starting the service it displays an "Error 5: Access denied" message. I have troll through internet but unfortunately none of solutions, i.e (renaming distribution
folder, Net stop commands) have worked in my case, even event viewer displays nothing other than "Access denied". It is an enclosed system so installing a solution software is not an option. 
NOT every PC is affected, therefore I believe GPO is not the issue here. Last time these computer made contact with WSUS server was more or less the same time when I applied the Windows Updates. I have also compared installed updates on my PC (infected)
with other working PC and have deleted all latest installed updates from my PC but unfortunately that has not worked either. Can any one shed a light? thanks.  

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cc552859-5122-4c3a-88a7-b9683f39f92c/windows-update-service-wont-start?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 45.15%

I reinstalled Vista everything was working fine apart from the won't update! start. Services Windows won't fact that there was a virus on my computer which i had to get rid of Now the problem is that whenever i try to open up a file Windows won't update! Services won't start. a blue screen comes up and my computer crashes I looked for a solution from windows and it appeared that because my NVIDIA hasn t been installed correctly or has expired is causing my computer to crash I remember i had this problem a couple of months ago and windows update fixed it For the last couple of days i ve been trying to update my windows however it keeps failing with a particular error code This code recommends me to go onto Services and check my Background Intelligence Transfer service and Windows Event log Windows Event log is fine however my BITS service won t start saying Something along the lines of Background intelligence service has started but stopped at local computer Some services stop Windows won't update! Services won't start. automatically when not in use by programs or other services I also realized that my netlogon service won Windows won't update! Services won't start. t start either When i was attempting to fix the BITS problem with advice online http helpdeskgeek com how-to background-intelligent-transfer-service-will-not-start When i typed in net start bits into command prompt error appeared Access denied and this was supposed to restart my BITS so currently all hope is gone So i checked my netlogon on services and it turns out my netlogon on manual Started but stopped at local computer Some services stop when not in use by other services or programmes Help please

A:Windows won't update! Services won't start.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.Publish a Snapshot using SpeccyThe below is for those who cannot get onlinePlease take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.You are getting Error 5 due to you not using an elevated console. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click on Command Prompt then select Run As Administrator.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/360441/windows-wont-update-services-wont-start/
Relevancy 45.15%

i try to set it to update windows start? wont automatic from service msc but it doesnt want to go automatic it always disable so is it possible windows update wont start? that one of my program cause it and is there anything wrong with my computer thx Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exe C WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v mscorsvw exe C PROGRA McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exe c program files common files mcafee mna mcnasvc exe c PROGRA COMMON mcafee mcproxy mcproxy exe C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcshield exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files McAfee MPF MPFSrv exe C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP Toshiba exe C Program Files Notebook Hardware Control nhcservice exe C Program Files Notebook Hardware Control nhc exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Protector Suite QL psqltray exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin Dot XCfg exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Winamp winamp exe C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcsysmon exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe O - HKLM Run High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut CHDAudPropShortcut exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run IntelZeroConfig quot C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe quot O - HKLM Run IntelWireless quot C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe quot tf Intel PROSet Wireless O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run PSQLLauncher quot C Program Files Protector Suite QL launcher exe quot startup O - HKLM Run NotebookHardwareControl quot C Program Files Notebook Hardware Control nhc exe quot -quiet O - HKLM Run mcagent exe C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe runkey O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - IERESET INF START PAGE URL http www toshibadirect com dpdstart O - DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C WUWebControl Class - http www update microsoft com wind O - Service ConfigFree Service CFSvcs - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exe O - Service Intel R PROSet Wireless Event Log EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe O - Service InstallDriver Table Manager IDriverT - Macrovision Corporation - c Program Files Common Files InstallShield Driver Intel IDriverT exe O - Service McAfee Services mcmscsvc - McAfee Inc - C PROGRA McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exe O - Service McAfee Network Agent McNASvc - McAfee Inc - c program files common files mcafee mna mcnasvc exe O - Service McAfee Scanner McODS - McAfee Inc - C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcods exe O - Service McAfee Proxy Service McProxy - McAfee Inc - c PROGRA COMMON mcafee mcproxy mcproxy exe O - Service McAfee Real-time Scanner McShield - McAfee Inc - C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcshield exe O - Service McAfee SystemGuards McSysmon - McAfee Inc - C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcsysmon exe O - Service McAfee Personal Firewall Service MpfService - McAfee Inc - C Program File... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/windows-update-wont-start-274827.html
Relevancy 45.15%

So I noticed my MS Security Essentials stopped updating and then I noticed my updates werent even running.

When I try to start the Automatic Update service I get

Windows could not start the Windows Update service on the local machine
Error 193: 0xc1

Ive been scouring the net nad running things left and right to try to fix it
I used the MS Fixit and that errors out as well.

I run sfc /scannow and it says there were some files that could not be repaired.

I tried doing an Update Install and that error'd out as well.

Im pretty much at a loss and really would rather not reinstall the whole OS.
Im sure its something small and stupid I am not doing but would
really like some new ideas.

Thanks

A:Windows Update Service Will not start

See if this helps Windows Update error 80246008
Or this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/153403-windows-update-service-will-not-start.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have helped a friend clean his computer using Malawarebytes SuperAntiSpyware and C Cleaner He did not have a virus protection on it I have put Microsoft Security Essentials on the start. it won't Windows starting is Update Says computer and updated and ran a full scan None of the programs including the Security Essentials found anything except adware When I go into the Task Manager it shows the CPU usage at Windows Update won't start. Says it is starting I have looked everywhere on the web and can t seem to find a way to reduce the CPU usage I have turned off the side bar and disabeled several program from running in the start up I did find a posting that said it might be due to not maintaing Windows Updates When I checked Windows Update I found I could not update I went to services and find that the windows update service is starting not started I tried to go in and sop and then restart the service but it is grayed out I can t get it to start I was thinking that if I could do the updates he needs in Windows Update I might be able to correct the problem in the services If anyone can direct me to how to correct this I would sure appreciate it

A:Windows Update won't start. Says it is starting

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspxUnzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.Click on View > Select Colunms.In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.Attach the file to your next reply.============================Please download Farbar Service Scanner Download Link and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:

Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action CenterWindows UpdateWindows DefenderPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/475054/windows-update-wont-start-says-it-is-starting/
Relevancy 45.15%

Good Evening All,

I've spent some time trying to overcome the above problem, which came to light via an action centre message yesterday. This follows on from another problem where I had 2 Microsoft Updates which kept installing themselves over and over. I ran various 'Fixits', which didn't, so eventually I just hid the 2 offending updates.

I have tried a system restore which didn't work, and now I find that there are no restore points before today's date, and yes, I have clicked on 'show more restore points'.

The Windows update service is set to Automatic (delayed) but wont start no matter what.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Rob.

A:[SOLVED] Windows Update Won't Start

Try to recover the Windows using recovery cd/drive then try to update it.
Mention your Windows version for better reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-windows-update-wont-start-691850.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi All,

Can anyone guide me to resolve my windows update error.
When I run check for updates I am getting an error message
'Windows Update cannot cuurently check for updates , because the service is not running.You may need to restart the computer'.
I did couple of times, not resolved. Went through forums and read about the services.msc. But it is not really running in services.msc. Can someone guide me to start the windows update in services.
I am attaching the scrrenshots also for you reference.
Kindly help me.

A:How to start windows update in serices

Please open an Elevated Command Prompt and run the following commands - post the results....

NET START WUAUSERV
NET START BITS
NET START BFE

Here are some instructions to make life easier
1) To open an Elevated Command Prompt Window (the CP window), click on Start, All Programs, Accessories – then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt.
2) To run the commands easier, highlight the block of commands, and right-click on the highlight – select Copy. In the CP Window, click on the black/white icon at top left – select Paste. The commands will run but may not complete the last command, so hit the Enter Key once.
3) To copy the results... click on the Black/White icon in the top left, and select Edit... 'Select All', and hit the Enter key - then use Ctrl+V or r-click+Paste to paste it into your response.

NOTE: there's a good chance that your system has at one time been infected with a major malware - and there's no point in attempting to fix it if the malware is still present!
What Anti-Virus is currently installed? Is it up-to-date?
What other AV's have been installed on this machine?

While waiting for a response to the above :-
Please boot to Safe Mode with Networking, and download and install Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free version) from http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/ - UNtick 'Enable free trial of MBAM PRO' at the end of the installation - and update it, then run a full scan in your main account, and Quick scans in any other user accounts.
Reboot to Normal mode

Delete everything it finds

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/259495-how-start-windows-update-serices.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I am currently trying to run the download for windows update but whatever I try it says it has started the download but never moves from 0KB downloaded and after a couple of minutes it reverts back to saying preparing to install and gets no further no matter how long I wait.

Please can someone help me!?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A:Windows update wont start.

Try repair BITS service An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer
or reset the whole WU with enabled "aggressive mode" How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/250092-windows-update-wont-start.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi I've tried to use Automatic Updates windows automatic update cannot start and upon failing I followed the Microsoft solutions but they also failed When trying to change the Automatic Updates service Start up Type and then Starting the Service I recieve the error message quot Could not start the Automatic Updates service on Local Computer Error The sevice cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it quot Stumbling across a forum post introducing HijakThis I downloaded and scanned my computer with it and here is the following Log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exeC Program Files cannot start windows automatic update Gizmo gservice exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exeC WINDOWS System nvsvc exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exeC Program Files Shareaza Shareaza exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS system wscntfy exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware Ad-Aware exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files Java jre bin java exeC Program Files Glary Utilities Integrator exeC WINDOWS system conime exeC Program Files Java jre bin java exeC WINDOWS system mmc exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeO - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run MSPY C WINDOWS system IME PINTLGNT ImScInst exe SYNCO - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNCO - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMENameO - HKLM Run AVG TRAY C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exeO - HKLM Run ZoneAlarm Client quot C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe quot O - HKLM Run Ad-Watch C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exeO - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exeO - HKCU Policies Explorer Run Shareaza quot C Program Files Shareaza Shareaza exe quot -trayO - HKUS S- - - Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe User 'SYSTEM' O - HKUS DEFAULT Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe User 'Default user' O - Extra context menu item Add to Google Photos Screensa amp ver - res C WINDOWS system GPhotos scr O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Spybot - Search amp Destroy Configuration - DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exeO - Extra 'Tools' menuitem xpsp res dll - - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exeO - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeO - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeO - ESC Trusted Zone http update microsoft comO - DPF CCA D- A - E -B - DEE D Facebook Photo Uploader Control - http upload facebook com controls toUploader cabO - DPF - f - bb - d -fa d f a ab - O - DPF F E B A- A - CA- - D CB MSN Photo Upload Tool - http gfx hotmail com mail w resources MSNPUpld cabO - DPF F - BBD- C-A B- C DigitalDM - http www leonardotravelebooks com ebooks DIGITALDM cabO - Protocol linkscanner - F C- F - D -A D -FBDDE F D - C Program Files AVG AVG avgpp dllO - Service AVG WatchDog avg wd - AVG Technologies CZ ... Read more

A:cannot start windows automatic update

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results, click no to the Optional_ScanFollow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. You can find information on A/V control HEREOrange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/224461/cannot-start-windows-automatic-update/
Relevancy 45.15%

I start help, will update. after Please not Windows bios am in a pickle guys Windows will not start after flashing bios update twice st time through windows and nd time through bios I flashed the latest bios for my motherboard H I-PLUS bios update My computer will boot up to bios just fine my computer just won't start windows for some strange reason After I flashed the H I-PLUS BIOS I got a message from American Megatrends to restore bios settings and I pressed F to restore bios settings I know I flashed the bios update properly and I don't understand why windows won't start anymore Do I need to flash an older bios update if yes which bios Please help, Windows will not start after bios update. update Here are my computer specs Just in case people need to know Case Corsair Graphite Series T CPU i k GHz Quad Core Motherboard Asus H I-Plus Ram GB Hard Drives GB HDD and GB SSD Kingston Power Supply Corsair RM Watt Modular Video Card MSI R X Twin Frozr GB GDDR OS Windows Bit Water Cooler Corsair H CPU water cooler Monitor Acer H HU

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/391007-please-help-windows-will-not-start-after-bios-update.html
Relevancy 45.15%

So a few days ago my computer needed to get a update, I don't know the exact update sorry, but then about a quarter of the way on start up it restarted on me. So I restarted it again and it gets stuck in a loop most of the time. But luckily I can get to the advance menu once in awhile. I try almost everything but nothing seems to work. I however find that I have a lot of dives and I dont know what they do or if any of them are the cause of my problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-8-wont-start-up-after-update.1132450/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello all first post here and I hope this is the right board not sure where to post this The other day my wife was using the laptop and it forced an update shutting the laptop down While it was installing the updates she manually turned it off and now it won't boot Basically no matter what I do Safe mode system restore anything will not get past the startup screen It attempts after Windows incomplete Can't start update to load the drivers and usually stops at around out of or something like that It will then ask me to quot Start Windows Normally quot or quot Perform a System Can't start Windows after incomplete update Restore quot Neither option works I'm afraid a driver became so damaged that no matter what I do I can't get past the startup or advanced startup options Even when trying to backup all the files in HP Recovery mode it Can't start Windows after incomplete update doesn't recognize my external hard drive Is there anything else left to do or is this one toast Most likely going to buy a new laptop at this point because I feel like I've tried everything Thanks

A:Can't start Windows after incomplete update

What CD/DVD disk[s] do you have? OEM Windows 7? Microsoft "blue-disk" set? Your created rescue DVD? Your created rescue USB stick? Can you do an F12 [or is it F9] to get into the Boot Menu [where you can choose what to boot]?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/364653-cant-start-windows-after-incomplete-update.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Finally got my laptop fixed, installed a new HDD. Reloaded my OEM Vista from a disk image, installed SP2 and a whole bunch of updates using Windows Update.

Soon thereafter (after successfully using Update several times), Update stopped working. Returned an error message when it tried to start, but the error number showed no results in Search.

Now Windows Update will not start at all. The window it should appear in remains white and the timer spins endlessly. Can close the window only by killing the program in Task Manager, at which point I'm notified that Win Explorer has crashed.

Googling brings up lots of crashes after individual updates, but I can't find anything on this behavior.

Any suggestions on how to rebuild Windows Update without a reinstall of the whole OS?

Thanks.

A:Windows Update will not start, crashes Windows Explorer

Download SP3 network install and run that one first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-will-not-start-crashes-windows-explorer.983273/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi all,

I got a BSOD during a windows update (I think it was something related to .net 4).
Since then when I start windows it gets to the loading bar with windows logo over it but then I get a black screen, same thing for safe mode. I have tried to repair with a win 7 installation disk but it fails, I tried to do a systeme restore after that but it failed too.

I have access to an old working partition (which I cloned onto my SSD a couple month ago)

What are my other option ?

A:Windows fail to start after windows update / BSOD

A clean install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/219455-windows-fail-start-after-windows-update-bsod.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi Everyone, I am trying to deploy Windows 10 to a Lenovo X1 Carbon using Windows Deployment Services (WDS) from a Windows Server 2008 Standard Server. In order to perform a PXE boot my Lenovo requires the use of a ThinkPad USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter. With the adapter I am able to boot with PXE however I am unable to install Windows 10 (or other operating systems). I am seeing a network device error message. Initially I suspected that this was due to the deployment image not containing drivers for the USB Ethernet adapter. I therefore added the adapters drivers to the deployment image, however unfortunately I am still receiving the same error. If anybody has any suggestions on how to overcome this issue they will be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, David  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Can-t-install-Windows-onto-an-X1-Carbon-using-PXE/td-p/3315467
Relevancy 45.15%

I just upgraded my X1 Carbon from Windows 7 to 10.  I followed the instructions from the Lenovo site.  They recommend that after the upgrade, I should go to get the latest drivers from http://www.lenovo.com/support.  When I follow that link, I get to a page that does not include the option for X1 Carbon. Can anyone please help me find the Windows 10 drivers?  Also, I can't find the Windows 10 Thinkvantage tools - have they been replaced by something else?   Thank you in advance...Ron

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/How-do-I-get-Windows-10-drivers-for-my-X1-Carbon/td-p/3314502
Relevancy 45.15%

I am having a problem with getting NFS carbon to open. I keep getting an error that says please open with administrator account and try again. I have contacted EA about this, they did not help. I have also tried creating a new admin account and install it there, that did not work either. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

A:NFS Carbon Windows 7 Error

It may be the copy protection and a recent Windows update. Do you need a disk in the CD/DVD drive to run the game?

Also, how long has this been happening?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/387567-nfs-carbon-windows-7-error.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I recently bought an X1 Carbon (Type 20FB) with Windows 7 preinstalled. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 this week but I keep getting the popup:                                  Something Went Wrong                                  Not Enough Disk Space, please run Disk Cleanup an try again. Error code: 0x80070070 I'm pretty sure the problem is with Lenovo_Recovery partition which is 1MB shy of being full (Partition size is 12.7GB). I also tried cleaning up the recovery disk but with no luck. Thoughts? 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-Can-t-Upgrade-to-Windows-10/td-p/3357693
Relevancy 44.72%

HiI own a X1 Carbon Gen 2 thinkpad and wonder if it is possible to replace the current keyboard with a X1 Carbon gen 3 keyboard (with proper mouse buttons), or if it will not fit?I have tried to check the manuals and the connectors seems similar although some things, such as the fingerprint reader, seems different. I have no problem "loosing" the adaptive keyboard and fingerprint reader if I can have all the functionality of the keyboard and trackpoint on the new "keyboard" (i.e. the gen 3 frontpanel).

A:X1 Carbon Gen 3 Keyboard on X1 Carbon Gen 2

I am interested in this exact topic as well. Looks like the Gen 3 keyboards lack the adaptive keyboard - that clear stripe on the top that changes. The FRU for these X1 Carbons seem to be the whole keyboard, adaptive part, trackpad and bezel - they go for 150 USD or so. Problem is we don't know if it will work given the model year differences. A nice alternative would be just to replace the trackpoint. They came close with this one, but it is no macbook in terms of tactile feel of the pad. I really am having a hard time with it and it's been about a month.  Lenovo please help!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-Gen-3-Keyboard-on-X1-Carbon-Gen-2/td-p/1939212
Relevancy 44.72%

This morning I downloaded/installed Win 8's latest Updates. Behold, I now have the much needed START icon.

When I start-up now the desktop is displayed instead of the START . Which is Great. It's now the way I like it.
However, it also opens my USER window on the desktop.

I would like to remove the opening of my USER folder on start-up. Any suggestions?

Regards,

A:New Windows 8 UpDate gave me the START icon . . However

You must have done something else. No Start button for me unless I install one, like Win8StartButton (Classic Shell).

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/12496-new-windows-8-update-gave-me-start-icon-however.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,Today i got a new windows update and i installed it.After it finished i was going to restart.It restared as always but when it finished the windows boot screen it kinda freezed and the display was black!I thought its an Hard Drive problem.Then later i wanted to secure my informations photos etc.by trying to go in safe mode but it loads everything and when its about to show desktop it frezes and it only shows Please wait... !
Then i tryed to restore it but i didnt had restore points.I opened cmd on that way and i tryed to copy my informations to disk D: by xcopy i think i didnt do it right because it didnt copy my folder.I wana know how to fix this or just tell me how to use xcopy to copy a whole folder.And will formating fix my problem!? Thanks!

A:My loptop wont start after a windows update i did!?

Btw i have windows 7 ultimate 32 bit!

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/191794-my-loptop-wont-start-after-windows-update-i-did.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I got carried away uninstalling programs and inadvertently uninstalled one of the XP service packs. Now when I restart the computer it just goes to a black screen. The computer will access the CD drive and the floppy drive during startup. I have a DOS disk on a floppy and I purchased a Windows XP System Recovery Disk on CD. When I use the recovery CD, I have the choice to repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console or to set up Windows XP now. When I choose to repair, it gives me this: 1: d:\MiniNT Which Windows installation would you like to log onto? Then I get a prompt d:\MiniNT> I don't know what to do from here. Any ideas? Also, when I choose to setup Windows XP it says it can't find a EULA and that Windows is not installed. Help!
Thank you, thank you!

A:Uninstalled Windows Update on XP and can't start computer

When I use the recovery CD, I have the choice to repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console or to set up Windows XP now.http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/page__view__findpost__p__489Hi and Welcome -Is this the tutorial that you are using at the moment ??Regards -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/432495/uninstalled-windows-update-on-xp-and-cant-start-computer/
Relevancy 44.72%

windows did an update now every time i start up my computer i get a black screen i can get taskm working and i can get programs to work, thats how im asking this now. how do i fix this? also there is no task bar.

A:black screen on start up after windows 7 update

So you get logon? But no deskopt at all, all is black? Any text cursor? if so, is it blinking?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/282198-black-screen-start-up-after-windows-7-update.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I need help, My Windows update Whenever i tried to update and download Some Stuff Thats important It just wont download it. The download starts But it will always stay at 0%. Please Help 

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Windows update Downloading Wont start

Hi: See if running the automated windows update fix it tool resolves the problem. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Windows-update-Downloading-Wont-start/td-p/5351951
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello!

After updating to Windows 10, cd's and dvd's aren't reconized anymore. There is no automatic start up. Nothing happens when I enter a disc in to my dvd-rw-station. Which used to work fine before windows 10. Installing VLC media player of something doesn't work because the dvd's/cd's don't even start.

Who knows a simple solution to this problem?

Thank you so much!

A:cd/dvd doesn't start up automaticly after Windows 10 update

itunes or DVD burning software may be causing the problem. uninstall / update this software.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?91187-cd-dvd-doesn-t-start-up-automaticly-after-Windows-10-update
Relevancy 44.72%

Ok so 15 minutes ago i logged onto my PC (XP) , and saw windows ask me for an automatic update. So I installed it, then rebooted my computer. Now right after it starts loading, it shows me an error message.

lsass.exe - System Error.

The endpoint format is invalid.

The only thing i can click is OK and it restarts my computer and shows me the message again.

If you need more information, please let me know because I need that computer back up tonight.

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi there I'm running Windows Vista bit SP on a Dell Inspiron Windows did an automatic update today when I loaded up the laptop and I reset as usual Started up as I normally do but for some reason the startup did a BSOD on me and I got a quot Windows failed to start due to a hardware or software failure error quot seeing as Windows to after Vista fails start Update it was fine previously I'm guessing this due to the updates recently The only options I have are doing a system startup repair which I tried but it just sat on a black screen for a while before a mouse cursor popped up which moves but nothing else appears or to start windows normally which does the vista loading bar but then restarts after Vista fails to start after Windows Update BSOD Vista fails to start after Windows Update again I tried to go into safe mode but the same thing happens It looks like I may have to reinstall Vista again which would be a pain Is there any way I can get around this and is this a common problem at the moment I haven't been updatign my laptop for a while due to only just getting the internet back Vista fails to start after Windows Update in the house so this could have been a recent problem Please advise me of anything I can do

A:Vista fails to start after Windows Update

i remember something like this happening with my xp laptop (when i installed something....).

ok it is good you have the CD just that is your last option. hav you tried that last known config option??? (after pressing F8)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-fails-to-start-after-windows-update-419799.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,

I have a Toshiba laptop with 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium installed.

Although it has updated in the past, I am now not able to start the Windows Update Service. There is no malware on the system and I have tried several methods found on the internet such as resetting the service. I have also been unable to install MATS RunWindowsUpdate.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Relevancy 44.72%

Hey all

Today I experienced a power outage while windows was installing an update.
Now whenever I try to start up my computer it gets to the Windows logo, a BSOD flashes for a split second, and the system restarts.
Booting in safe mode also gives the same problem.

System restore cannot find my C:/ partition with my operating system, what seems quite weird since I first tried with the system restore on my hdd before using the one on the Windows disk. I tried a startup repair, but without any success. The logs show it performed a chkdsk so that will not work either.

I tried accessing my C partion through a couple live CDs but it doesnt seem readable.

What options do I have left to recover my system?

Thanks in advance
bvw6

A:Windows will not start after power outage during update

Try Option 2 in this tutorial. System Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/315086-windows-will-not-start-after-power-outage-during-update.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Good evening I do hope you can help me with this issue with Windows Home Premium which has recently had spyware malware PUPS removed from it successfully Afterwards I found that although I could receive updates for Norton and other programs I could not use the browser as Chrome had a tick in the box for using proxy server - and there was no option to remove this annoying tick After some research I found a suggestion that - if I launched in Safe Windows start to service refusing Update Mode - I should be able to remove this tick I did this and have Windows Update service refusing to start since been using the browser fine for accessing any website I wish However I then realised that the Windows Update service was off - although the list of updates suggested it had been working When I changed it to my usual setting of Download let me choose when to install it appeared fine But still no Windows Updates were coming through At this point I checked the Services window in Control Panel and saw that it was set to Automatic Delayed Start but it was not showing as running When Windows Update service refusing to start I attempted to re-start it I got an error message about being unable to Since then after some further research I realised that the Background Intelligent File Transfer service should be running for Windows Update but it wasn't When I turn it on it starts ok However as soon as I try to start Windows Update I've noticed that Windows Update service refusing to start the BIFT service stops The computer is working perfectly in every other respect - except my inability to start the Windows Update service Can you help me get it running again Regards Julia E

A:Windows Update service refusing to start

Hello JuliaSFC /SCANNOWClick on the button. Inside the search box type in CMDRight click on CMD => Choose Run as AdministratorInside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOWPlease wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.Export CBS folderClick the Start button then click Computer.Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.Find and double click on the Logs folder.Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.Attach this to your next post please.Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563520/windows-update-service-refusing-to-start/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello!

I am just wondering is there any way to remove or somehow modify start screen new search and power options icons on Windows 8.1 Update 1? Does anybody knows how to do this?

A:Windows 8.1 Update 1 Start Screen Tweak

Originally Posted by wilson333

Hello!

I am just wondering is there any way to remove or somehow modify start screen new search and power options icons on Windows 8.1 Update 1? Does anybody knows how to do this?

Hello wilson333 and welcome:
You can remove the 'Power' button but not 'Search'...

... you'll need to modify the Windows Registry:

Power Button on Start Screen - Add or Remove

or:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...e-power-button

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/44382-windows-8-1-update-1-start-screen-tweak.html
Relevancy 44.72%

My computor keeps doing the same thing. I keep getting notices RE: updates but when I try to download, it stays at 0%. Did you find a solution?

A:Re: Windows update Downloading Wont start

Hi @Darryl3?, Welcome to HP Forums! I came across your post of Windows Updates stuck at 0%, and wanted to help. I found this post from Microsoft may help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/w8-windows-update-stuck-at-0-tried... Let me know if it helps.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Re-Windows-update-Downloading-Wont-start/td-p/5728683
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi all ...Hope Im in the right forum...If not please except my apologies....

I have noticed that when I go into my start menu and click on tab for Windows Update it no longer loads the page for the site....?

And on the odd occasion it will randomly tell me I have an update....Today it is saying I need a security update for core services
(MSXML) ...... Core services 4.0 service pack 2 (KB95440)

But it wont update it....ust keeps popping up....Help please....Ive run alot of programmes to delete all the on my Pc and Revo uninstall was the main one.....Also as an after thought when I type in that I want to go to windows update on my internet it takes me to a small page that doesnt look at all lik Microsoft page....?

Cheers Sean.....

A:Windows update in start menu wont go away....?

Go to the Start and see if you have Microsoft Update. If so it should take you to the same web site. Please get back with results.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/259422/windows-update-in-start-menu-wont-go-away/
Relevancy 44.72%

Evening,

I have been dealing with this issue for about a week. I had Windows Update set to notify me when updates are available so I can choose whether or not to install them. The window takes quite a while to open, and when it does it has the red shield with white "X" in it, and says "Check for updates for your computer". When I click the "Check for updates" button an error window popped up that says:

"Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer."

In the task manager services tab, it shows the Update service has stopped. I have attempted a few ways to start the service, such as in the services window and in the command prompt; the only results have been either nothing or a system error 87, a parameter is incorrect.

A:Windows Update Service is not running, also won't start

Hi,

In order to better understand the issue, please follow this tutorial: Windows Update Posting Instructions

A member versed in Windows Update issues will take a look at the logs that you'll post at the end of the tutorial.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/320443-windows-update-service-not-running-also-wont-start.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have an open file security warning that comes up when my computer starts The file update exe is from an unknown publisher and is located in c windows system When I try to look for the file it is not there I have tried some stuff to start when starts computer "update.exe" XP, tries Windows on this site and I couldn t find the process in the recommended autoruns program I believe I was infected when I opened a file with an XBOX logo as Windows XP, "update.exe" tries to start when computer starts the icon I was looking for codes for wii points and honestly I should have known better I scanned the file with VIPRE prior to opening it and since it found nothing I figured it Windows XP, "update.exe" tries to start when computer starts was ok Full virus scans of my computer using VIPRE have yielded nothing helpful Will a system restore solve the problem If not what should I do Here is the link to the youtube video I found that convinced me to download the file LinkRemoved Thanks in advance for the help

A:Windows XP, "update.exe" tries to start when computer starts

Let's see if you're infected--------------Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/192273/windows-xp-updateexe-tries-to-start-when-computer-starts/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi First of all thanks for checking out my problem it's been bugging me so extra help would be much appreciated start Cannot Update Windows provided] [Images I recently found out that my Windows Update seems non-existent or at least something like that When trying to start Windows Update I get the following message Things I've Tried System Update Readiness Tool SURT When installing this suggested tool I get the following Cannot start Windows Update [Images provided] message Going to services and see if it's running When going to 'Administrative Tools' I get the following lovely message Start services via a shortcut Using windir system services msc I managed to Cannot start Windows Update [Images provided] get to services but there doesn't appear to be a Windows Update in there Also no Background Intelligent Transfer Service So there is no quot Windows Update quot in the Services menu net stop wuauserv Going via cmd and trying the following 'trick' quot Open cmd Type net stop wuauserv and hit Enter Type ren c windows SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution old and hit Enter Type net start wuauserv and hit Enter Exit Command Prompt and try to run Windows Update quot This doesn't work either giving me the following screen blurred out my username for privacy reasons Using Microsoft 'Fix It' Used this tool restarted didn't do anything still got the same problem If anyone would be so kind as to set me into a direction of what to do next it would be greatly appreciated I'm not the best with computers but I do know my way around although I would appreciate it if things were explained in a reasonably erhm understandable manner haha

A:Cannot start Windows Update [Images provided]

Please download the Farbar Service Scanner from

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/

Right-click on the saved file and select 'Run as Administrator', and tick all the options, then click on the Scan button - copy and paste the report to your response.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/371652-cannot-start-windows-update-images-provided.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Yesterday evening wednesday Januari a few updates were downloaded for my PC As I shut it down for the evening it wanted to install updates Normally this takes a minute or so and it's done This time it stayed for a while on update of Instead of waiting for them to be done and turning off the power I decided to let it update while I went to sleep This morning the PC was shut down When I tried to start it than longer afterwards. PC Windows won't normal, update start up again it just hummed a bit didn't show anything on the screen and then shut off again only to turn itself on again in an infinite loop Thinking it might be stopped by draining the energy I shut it down completely by holding the power button Then took the power out and activated it Windows update longer than normal, PC won't start afterwards. so it would use up all remaining power in the system the lights flashed for a moment and went off Then I turned the power on again and tried to start the PC but I got the same results as before The PC itself wasn't showing any signs of problems before the update I was playing a game planetside with unstable servers that sometimes would hog my internet connection so much during a lag spike that all internet traffic from my PC stopped momentarily The PC has been cleaned a few weeks ago and is still reasonably clean right now I have looked around at the usual support forums but did not find a way to get to the repair functions from where I'm at My only option as I could see would be to use a repair CD which I don't have Maybe I have a backup on an external drive but that drive is currently not nearby and it might take time before I can get it back Can anyone help me

A:Windows update longer than normal, PC won't start afterwards.

Is the machine actually getting as far as trying to boot Windows - or is it stuck before/during the POST?
If the latter, then it's a hardware problem, and you need to seek specialist advice.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/358464-windows-update-longer-than-normal-pc-wont-start-afterwards.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I just updated my G780 to Windows 8.1 this morning.  every time I boot up the computer, I get an Error message stating" Dolby Advanced Audio - Unable to start the Dolby Audio driver.  Please restart the computer or reinstall the driver if the problem persists.  I have restrtaed the computer and I do not know where the driver is for this or where to install it. Please help.  Computer is just over a month old.

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:G780 - Windows 8.1 update - Can't Start Dolby Aud...

hi Sperl19,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

Your Dolby may not be synced with the Audio driver after the update,
   Since Audio driver may had been updated by the 8.1 but not the Dolby app.

Here's what to do:

Open Device Manager 
    Uninstall the Audio Device Under Audio inputs and outputs
            Then proceed to Control Panel / Programs / Uninstall a Program
                     Uninstall all Dolby Related programs
                             Restart if Prompted
Now install this software driver
 Conexant Audio Driver

Now open Drive C: on the upper right hand side of the screen you will find a Search pane
     Type in "aa" and hit search
You should find 1 of the result as dolby or if not post a screen shot of the results here

If ever you found it install that and it should bring your dolby back

Hope this helps
Cheers!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/G780-Windows-8-1-update-Can-t-Start-Dolby-Audio-Driver/td-p/1272205
Relevancy 44.72%

Well it didn t take long for me to have issues again Why does this always happen to me nbsp Anyway After I used CCleaner yesterday to clean up my Windows computer which I do every week I DID NOT use the Registry one I started having issues I couldn t get it to shut down so I had to force shut it down When I started it up again I noticed that when I search for update in the search box down next to the start button and I try to click on Check for updates and Windows Update Settings nothing happens Nothing loads I was able help) screen Windows won't through Update start load (please to get into Windows update through the regular Settings app though This is disconcerting As far as I know I have no viruses and this was not occurring when I started the computer after Windows Update won't load through start screen (please help) I got home from work I would prefer not to reset to factory settings either I used CCleaner in a similar manner last week and this did not occur From what I can tell it is still checking for Windows Update and there are no other issues but this is still a disconcerting issue and I want it to work through the Search If someone could help me fix this issue I would really appreciate it Please help me ASAP Thank youP S Here s System Information OS Name Microsoft Windows HomeVersion Build Other OS Description Not AvailableOS Manufacturer Microsoft CorporationSystem Name DESKTOP-L A System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC System Model TP LABSystem Type x -based PCSystem SKU ASUS-NotebookSKUProcessor Intel R Core TM i - U CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date American Megatrends Inc TP LAB SMBIOS Version Embedded Controller Version BIOS Mode UEFIBaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC BaseBoard Model Not AvailableBaseBoard Name Base BoardPlatform Role MobileSecure Boot State OffPCR Configuration Binding Not PossibleWindows Directory C WINDOWSSystem Directory C WINDOWS system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United StatesHardware Abstraction Layer Version quot quot User Name DESKTOP-L A MattTime Zone Eastern Daylight TimeInstalled Physical Memory RAM GBTotal Physical Memory GBAvailable Physical Memory GBTotal Virtual Memory GBAvailable Virtual Memory GBPage File Space MBPage File C pagefile sysHyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions YesHyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware YesHyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,157587.0.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Update 1 from a TechNet ISO. Trying to figure out how to activate the new Start menu. I click on Start and get the the Start screen, click on the Start button and get the same. Gone through a few settings when I right click the task bar, properties and I don't see anything obvious in there.

I know I'm on Update 1 since I can minimize Metro apps.

A:How to enable new Start menu in Windows 8.1 Update 1?

Originally Posted by mvalpreda

Did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Update 1 from a TechNet ISO. Trying to figure out how to activate the new Start menu. I click on Start and get the the Start screen, click on the Start button and get the same. Gone through a few settings when I right click the task bar, properties and I don't see anything obvious in there.

I know I'm on Update 1 since I can minimize Metro apps.

If you're thinking of the proposed 'new' Start Menu, it may be coming later this year.

Attachment 40948

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/43883-how-enable-new-start-menu-windows-8-1-update-1-a.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Ok here's my problem Sorrry if it's a bit long I recently had major issues with my computer I found out through trial and error that there was a hardware issue i just changed my motherboard and RAM to work through won't after Driver/Bios update Windows Start this and the computer returned to semi-working order I also scanned the Hard Drive for viruses from a friends PC The computer worked but ran extremely slow with the CPU usage spiking high Through process Explorer I discovered that there were two issues one a driver problem and an overheating CPU running near c I tried to update my drivers to get back to some semblance of usablility and in my wisdom read stupidity I updated the BIOS and essentially all the built-in drivers for my motherboard Windows won't Start after Driver/Bios update at once before a restart Now it runs quickly up to the point where it automatically shuts down This occurs during the windows load screen When I attempt to boot from a CD I get a GPF Any ideas hardware to come next post

A:Windows won't Start after Driver/Bios update

(sorry for the double post but as my PC is out, this is on a PS3 browser, which limits post size)

The Hardware I have is as follows:
Windows XP SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
Foxconn G9657MA-8KS2H Motherboard
2 GB A DATA RAM (DDR2 800)
ECS GeForce 8600 512 VRAM (Drivers to date before this SNAFU)

Drivers were updated using Foxconns FOX update utility

Please help me if you can.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-wont-start-after-driver-bios-update-350451.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi there I'm update Vista to after failed start Windows running Windows Vista bit SP on a Dell Inspiron Windows did an automatic update today when I loaded up the laptop and I reset as usual Started up as I normally do Windows Vista failed to start after update but for some reason the startup did a BSOD on me and I got a quot Windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change may be the cause quot seeing as it was fine previously I'm guessing this due to the updates recently The only options I have are doing Windows Vista failed to start after update a system startup repair which I tried but it just sat on a black screen for a while before a mouse cursor popped up which moves but nothing else appears or to start windows normally which does the vista loading bar but then restarts after BSOD again I tried to go into safe mode but the same thing happens It looks like I may have to reinstall Vista again which would be a pain Is there any way I can get around this and is this a common problem at the moment I haven't been updatign my laptop for a while due to only just getting the internet back in the house so this could have been a recent problem Please advise me of anything I can do

A:Windows Vista failed to start after update

Did you try the system restore?http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-sy...estore-how.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/262336/windows-vista-failed-to-start-after-update/
Relevancy 44.72%

Running Windows Vista Home Premium. Have had no previous issues wih my pc.

Ran windows update this morning (10/2/2011), restarted pc as normal with updating, it went black for a few minutes, then stayed on the intel screen for another couple of minutes, before starting normally. I tried restarting again, same deal.

Uninstalled the updates through the windows update section. No difference.

Tried to use system restore to yesterdays configuration. Restore failed.

Reinstalled updates through windows update. Still hanging at intel screen for 5 minutes.

*Cry* everything was working fine till the updates

Is this a known issue, or something with my machine? Not really sure what to do next, so any help would be much appreciated.

Relevancy 44.72%

I got this problem after updating to Windows 8.1 Update 1. If I start my PC after Windows Shutdown, I can't start any program or do anything(incl. shutdown, restart or anything). My desktop loads and I can open the metro screen, but I can't start any program or do anything.

I tried to power off my PC instead of shutting down and everything works fine untill the next shutdown.

What can be causing this or where can I check logs or anything?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/44423-windows-8-1-update-1-programs-wont-start-after-shutdown.html
Relevancy 44.72%

How can I post my log here?
I don't know much about computers and something is going on after updating.
I work in 6 hours and I gotta go to sleep but will come back when I wake up.
Also my audio has been disabled which is weird.
No realtek update works, and when i uninstall audio driver windows keeps installing hd audio drivers.
does my computer think it has windows 10?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/384617-cant-start-windows-update-says-file-missing.html
Relevancy 44.72%

The start button is locked (clicking does not open Metro)
Hello Friends.
Since installing the update 1, I have a random problem: when I click on the start button, it does not respond.
The solution? Log off or restart the computer.
It's strange, because without the update, I did not have this problem.
Could anyone help?

Thanks!

A:Windows 8.1 Update 1 Bug: The start button is locked .

Hello Pablo,

Do you have any 3rd party Start Menu program installed that may have an option to disable the Start button?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/44430-windows-8-1-update-1-bug-start-button-locked.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Anyone else have an issue with the Windows 10 Taskbar being cut off after coming out of suspend?  See this post in the Microsoft forum.  Someone is also having an issue with the T450s. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-taskbar-is-not-always-c...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-1st-Gen-Windows-10-taskbar-cut-off-after-suspend/td-p/3353387