Windows Support Forum

Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

Q: Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

What kind of BIOS you have? UEFI or Legacy (MBR)?
Can you give us a snapshot of disk manager?
Do you have a external HDD to make a backup image of your Win 7 pro partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 98.89%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 98.47%

I have a dual boot environment with two Win XP installed on different disks, XP1 and XP2 . XP1 was installed first and contains the boot files (NTLDR, boot.ini...) and XP2 came second. Now, I would like to keep XP2 and get rid of XP1. How can i delete XP1 since it contains the boot files? if i delete XP1 i am afraid to not be able to boot on XP2..., thanks

Relevancy 95.46%

I have disk with 3 partitions, XP (C) is primary, Win 7 (D) is Logical and (E) is Logical and a data drive. I used a dual boot program to choose which OS to use at start up. I did this to preserve XP apps in case they wouldn't work on Win 7. Now I want to delete XP and have Win 7 as the primary partition (C) and data as Drive D. I cannot change the current Win 7 D drive to a primary partition or change the current C to a logical partition.
I tried using EasUS Partition and it won't let me do what I want. I hope someone can understand what I am trying to do and help me out. Thank you

A:Dual Boot Windows XP(Primary) and Windows 7 (Logical Partition)

I would do a complete reinstall. Get your data off ( backed up ) wipe everything, make 2 partitions and install 7. All your partitions should be primary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/261956-dual-boot-windows-xp-primary-windows-7-logical-partition.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hello I have Installed Windows XP like ages ago and then there was some error with the XP back then while booting up so I called up my technician He dual booted my system with Windows Ultimate I've stopped using XP since a while so after Dual XP partition removing Windows not from Boot Booting 7 I thought of removing I from my system The XP files and Windows were on two different partitions of same Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot HDD So I used Minitool Partition wizard to remove Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot the Partition in which XP files were there It even prompted a message saying that I may Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot not be able to boot if I format the specific Partition I clicked on continue and it showed me that the specific partition is in use and the asked me to restart it and minitool will delete it by itself while restarting And after it deleted the XP partition my system can't Boot Windows now I just don't get it I've even lost my Windows OS DVD to try repair the OS Can anyone help me to Boot into my Windows without losing any data from that Partition

A:Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot

Why didn`t you listen to the message ?

You deleted your Active partition now windows 7 won`t boot.

Your windows 7 partition must 1st be marked Active, then startup repair must be run to write the system files to the Windows 7 partition.

Without an install dvd or a system repair disc, you can`t do that. You can easily make a system repair disc on another Windows 7 PC, all you need is a blank cd and a cd burner. But it has to be the same bit version (32 or 64) and Service Pack version as the version you are trying to repair.

Others may have another method. They will post it.

Or call your Tech

System Repair Disc - Create

Startup Repair

Partition - Mark as Active

You can also make and use a Partition Wizard Boot CD

Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/388248-windows-7-not-booting-after-removing-xp-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi, I was trying to install Ubunstu and I thought I could do it without looking at any reference material. After a few tries, I tried putting the partition that I made for it active, but that didn't work and it made Windows not want to start up. I fixed that with my install disk and was able to mark the partition inactive with DiskPart and want to remove the partition and try it from Ubunstu's partition utility. I'm unable to select an option to delete the partion. It's marked with System, Primary Partition. I tried with DiskPart but it gave an error and said it was in use and I didn't want to override that without knowing what it would do. If I browse to the partition in explorer there's no files there.

A:Removing Extra Primary System Partition

Is this the right thread? Because this is one of the only ones with no replies

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/149635-removing-extra-primary-system-partition.html
Relevancy 91.16%

Can i format the primary partition in a dual booted system that is xp and windows 7 where xp is the primary partiyion. And would the other os still work
PLEASE REPLY
THANK YOU

A:Format primary dual boot partition

Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk Management drive map and listings, using SNipping Tool in Start Menu.

Read over this tutorial to see if it covers what you want to do:
Partition : Recover Space Used by an Older OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/113924-format-primary-dual-boot-partition.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Win XP Dual boot- Install OS's to logical or primary partition Pros and Cons As many of you know here some versions of Win create a quot mb System Reserved quot partition which the Win installer installs the boot files to Because of this Win XP don't quot have to quot be on a primary partition but instead can be installed to logical partitions Q What are the PRO's and CON's of installing to logical partitions instead of primary partition? XP Dual Install boot- primary logical Pro or OS's to Win7, - as it applies to these OS's My concerns are reliability accessibility to partition OS which may need manual editing to restore to working condition being able to image restore from images without issues via Acronis True Image mostly My other main concern is I'm looking to HIDE the quot system reserved quot partition in XP as is done by the Win OS so XP is on quot C quot instead of quot D quot as some programs freak out if they don't see quot C quot but D instead Win7, XP Dual boot- Install OS's to logical or primary partition? Pro Currently I have System Reserved mb System Active-Primary Win on first logical Boot page crash XP PRO SP on nd logical DATA on Primary Was thinking about deleting all partitions again and getting rid of the mb system reserved partition as quot some quot programs in XP might not like being on quot D quot XP unlike Win quot sees quot the System reserved partition as quot C quot Scenario - re-install as below XP PRO SP st Primary - Win XP boot files Win nd Primary DATA on Primary or logical th primary could be used to create a on-the-hard-disc quot recovery quot partition via something like Acronis Secure Zone I figured above would give XP it's quot C quot and Win and it's newer Win7, XP Dual boot- Install OS's to logical or primary partition? Pro apps wouldn't complain about being on D Q If boot files are on C XP partition is Win smart enough to quot hide quot the XP partition EG not give it a drive letter as it does with the quot System Reserved partition

A:Win7, XP Dual boot- Install OS's to logical or primary partition? Pro

Read the guide! Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

When XP is installed onto the first primary followed by 7 afterwards on a second the 7 boot files taking over as the default OS in the process are found at the root of the XP primary being already present. When booted in 7 you simply select the drive letter to be used for XP when going into the Disk Management tool to make that partition available.

Typically D is best reserved for the optical drive leaving E, F, G, as the suitable alternatives for a second OS's drive letter. Having two dvd burner here any secondary install on a second drive is bumped upto G while flash drives may be seen as F since D and E are reserved for the two opticals.

IF 7 is installed before XP as detailed in Method #2 you can opt to prepare the primary prior to the 7 install using the drive tools on the 7 dvd, Disk Part, or some 3rd party drive partitioning program. If the 7 dvd's drive tools are used to create the primary you will then likely see the 100mb reserved if proceeding right into the fresh install.

To avoid seeing the 100mb as a separate partition you either cancel the install once the primary is made to reboot and reload the installer to use the custom install option or prepare the primary ahead of time with another option for 7 install to that alone and no 100mb reserved is seen.

The option for not seeing XP available of course would be installing XP after 7 but then need to repair the 7 startup but need to add XP into the 7 BCD. As for not making the 100mb available in XP you simply forget to assign a drive letter during the "Add New Volume" wizard that would appear when right clicking on the DM item for it. Then it won't be mounted and initialized as a new logical drive.

If XP is installed first on it's own primary there won't be any worries about the 100mb regardless since the 7 installer only creates that on a drive found "raw" lacking any partitions for Windows to install onto already present and wouldn't be able to anyways with XP already installed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/125059-win7-xp-dual-boot-install-oss-logical-primary-partition-pro.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I installed Ubuntu on a older Toshiba laptop. When I boot up it asks me to select either Windows 7 or Ubuntu. I want to get rid of the Ubuntu disk partition and give that 2.9 GB space to my primary hard drive. I go into compmgmt.msc but I can't execute any commands on that disk partition. Any ideas?

A:delete dual boot Ubuntu partition and convert to primary hard drive c:

So you wanna get rid of ubuntu totally?
first tap F8 multiple times to enter recovery environment
select "command prompt"
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

-now the default MBR has been restored (don't know if ubuntu did change that)

diskpart
list disk
sel disk 0 (or 1 or 2)
list part (note the number of ubuntu partition)
sel part X (if X is number of ubuntu partition. be very sure to select right partition!!!)
delete part

try to boot. post output of "disk management" afterwards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/219373-delete-dual-boot-ubuntu-partition-convert-primary-hard-drive-c.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi,
It has happened to me twice...I accidentally deleted a partition and later found out that my system is dead....The only way I recover out of that is I reinstall Windows and then install grub again to recover the Linux partition. But I feel the delete partition is a very rapid process just taking seconds and in that I don't think files would be deleted, so I feel potentially I can recover the deleted partitions including the boot partition. But I don't know how to do it. Also now when the boot partition is deleted and the system is not booting up what should be done to recover the system and data?
Thanks in advance,
-pkd

A:How to recover deleted grub/boot partition in Windows XP(Dual boot system))

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-deleted-grub-boot-partition-in-windows-xp-dual-boot-system.871174/
Relevancy 86%

I have a Windows XP Vista dual boot machine I have hard drives one contains the Windows XP operating system SATA the other Vista SATA I have decided to remove Windows XP For the moment I have just unplugged the XP drive that is on SATA and turned the SATA drive a Boot Windows Dual System Vista Removing XP from off in the bios Everything appears to boot fine although on initial boot up it takes about - seconds until the Vista boot screens appears almost as if the computer is searching for something I plan to format the XP drive and use it to store data My question is is this an appropriate way to remove XP from a dual boot configuration I am concerned that I Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System need to make changes to the Vista configuration but I am not sure One last note in my system I believe I installed Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System XP first then install added Vista to create a multiboot system I would appreciate any insight that you may have

A:Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System

the bootloader you are using is probably that of vista.. try booting with the vista dvd.. then go to command prompt.. type Bootrec.exe /FixMbr to fix vista's bootloader and try booting again..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-windows-xp-from-a-vista-dual-boot-system-211398.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello everyone!

I need help deleting the XP partition in my dual-boot system with Windows 7. I don't need to use de Windows XP OS and I just wan't to delete it. I must also add that I used the EasyBCD software to create the dual-boot menu, but I installed it in the Win XP OS.
Thanks in advance and appreciate your help.

I have attached a screenshot of my Disk Managment partitions.

A:I need help deleting the Windows XP partition in a dual-boot system

Boot into Windows 7 and type msconfig in the start-search box.Click on the boot tab and check if the windows xp is listed there.Open disk management,right click on XP partition and select delete volume.Make sure you back up all your data from the XP partition first.

Now open msconfig again,click on boot tab and delete the Windows XP from the list.Restart your system.If windows 7 doesn't boot up then try Start up repair Startup Repair to repair the MBR boot files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/214448-i-need-help-deleting-windows-xp-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I can't figure out which partition holds Windows 8 on my Dual Boot 7/8 system. I want to delete Windows 8 64 bit and reinstall Windows 8 32 bit, then update to Windows 8.1. I'm doing this because the system's old enough that 64 bit 8.1 won't install but maybe 32 bit will. I won't know unless I try.

Soooo . . . I need to figure out which partition Windows 8 is on so I can format the drive and reinstall.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

A:Dual Boot System - Which Partition Holds Windows 8

You will usually find there is a windows flag icon on the drive you are currently booted into.

Or check disk management for the word Boot on one of the partitions - that is the one you are currently in.

Or have a look at the partitions in windows explorer. 8 will have a thing on it called swapfile.sys (you need to have hidden and system files showing to see it ).

When you have figured that out, probably a good idea to label the partitions so you know what they are.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/34003-dual-boot-system-partition-holds-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a Windows 7 laptop that has 3 partitions on it with only one booting Operating System on the Hard Drive. One of the partitions contains a previous version of Win7 on it that became corrupted and I had to install my current version of Win7 on a newer primary partition which Windows boots straight into.

I no longer need to use the previous O/S and it takes up 17.6GB which I think is now unnecessary to retain (and is hogging up valuable Gigs that I could really make use of due to nagging pop-up that tells me that disk [partition] is running out of space) and would like to know if I can safely remove the old O/S from the partition and still retain the other data on the partition and how I can best go about removing the old O/S?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395778-removing-non-dual-boot-o-s-partition.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a Windows 7 laptop that has 3 partitions on it with only one booting Operating System on the Hard Drive. One of the partitions contains a previous version of Win7 on it that became corrupted and I had to install my current version of Win7 on a newer primary partition which Windows boots straight into.

I no longer need to use the previous O/S and it takes up 17.6GB which I think is now unnecessary to retain (and is hogging up valuable Gigs that I could really make use of due to nagging pop-up that tells me that disk [partition] is running out of space) and would like to know if I can safely remove the old O/S from the partition and still retain the other data on the partition and how I can best go about removing the old O/S?

A:Removing non-dual boot O/S from partition....

Hi and welcome.

Please post a screen shot of your Disk Management window so that we can better understand what you have.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/395778-removing-non-dual-boot-o-s-partition.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi guys, my hd is gone. It was on a notebook. Thanks god I had a image system backup few days ago.

Now... I'd like to dual boot that system on my desktop running Windows 7 and dual boot them.

So can I reduce the size of my desktop hd, and then restore the system image from my laptop to that partition?

How can I dual boot them?

THank you

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/381149-restore-windows-7-system-image-2nd-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 84.28%

i have dell laptop with vista as primary and i have installed xp as a second OS and it worked fine as a dual boot system and
Recently i was formatted vista and installed now the peoblem arises i can boot into vista but whe i press the xp it shows the message

File:\ntldr

Info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is misssing or corruptClick to expand...

i couldn't find the files boot.ini ,ntldr,ntdetect.com in my system............
pls help me i have lot of applications in my xp

A:XP won't boot in dual boot system with Vista as primary

You should try reinstalling XP

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-wont-boot-in-dual-boot-system-with-vista-as-primary.135951/
Relevancy 83.85%

Help I decided last night to remove the XP partition from my dual boot and keep Vista Home Premium When I made the dual boot I already had XP installed and just partitioned the drive and installed vista on Boot Vista from Removing Partition XP Dual the second partition using Vista boot pro to change the boot order I searched last night and came upon this website http www howtogeek com forum topic removing-xp-on-a-dula-boot-config and used it to remove the partition Before I started I Removing XP Partition from Vista Dual Boot used vista boot pro on the vista partition and deleted the XP entry so that it would only boot into Vista I then booted using Gparted and deleted the XP partition and resized my vista partition When I restarted it came up with an error message so I booted into the Vista DVD to repair but it doesnt give me the option to select my vista drive to repair I think the XP partiton may have been the sytem partition Help please Steve nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-xp-partition-from-vista-dual-boot.823554/
Relevancy 82.99%

My single hard drive has 1 primary partition and 3 logical drives in the extended partition.

The primary partition had XP installed on it and is obviously the Active partition(got drive letter C).
I then installed 7 on one of the logical drives.(got drive letter D).

The boot loader(I am assuming) is probably on the Active partition.

I am trying to delete the primary partition as I dont need the XP any longer --to claim some space on the drive.

What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

A:Removing the active partition in a dual boot setup

It appears you know the primary partition is active and the boot files are there. Since you cannot make a logical partition active, then it should follow you need to make another partition primary to be able to make it active.

You can use Partition Wizard to make a logical partition a primary partition. I will assume you will choose the Win 7 partition. You can then make it active and run the Win 7 Startup Repair 2 or 3 times to get Win 7 to boot from it.

After that, moving or resizing partitions can be done with Partition Wizard, but be aware it can be risky, so back up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/69419-removing-active-partition-dual-boot-setup.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I am running Win XP PRO as one boot option, and WIN HOME as another.

I want to remove the Win XP PRO and then utilize the space for my WIN HOME directory.

I am looking to increase my usable hard drive in WIN HOME.

Can this be done?

A:Removing dual-boot OS and partition to increase space

Not easily, and it depends somewhat on what was installed first, and what Service Packs were on those first two installs of Windows XP..
I assume that Windows XP Professional was the primary install, because it normally will not tolerate being second to XP Home.

If it were my machine, I would buy a new hard drive and install Windows XP Professional, then install this current drive as a slave, and remove what you want to the new drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-dual-boot-os-and-partition-to-increase-space.135757/
Relevancy 82.13%

I am dual booting with Win98SE on my original/older drive and have WinXP on the second/new harddrive.

I want to remove the old harddrive and Win98SE. I tried following some help guides on TSG but I'm stuck at making the new drive the active partition.....

I haven't been able to find something that tells me how to do this.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks,
Brian

BTW: Please!, I don't want to reinstall WinXP again.

Relevancy 78.26%

I dont know if this is the right section to ask the question. Though it is about grub4dos but I want to know about booting windows from it. So I hope this is the right section. I found somewhere that one cannot boot windows from a non primary partition using GRUB. Is there any work around using map function or hide unhide or any other way that makes it possible.

Thanks for reading...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/using-grub4dos-to-boot-windows-from-non-primary-partition-494464.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Built a new system, first loaded W2k. Then I added XPHE to the system. I am able to select either operating system when booting.

My problem is that I would like to remove W2K. W2k is on the primary partition of my SATA drive.

Is there any means of removing W2k and being able boot from XP alone?

A:Removing W2K from dual boot system-help!

How To Remove One Operating System from a Dual Boot Windows XP Computer

http://www.comptechlib.com/3070.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/removing-w2k-from-dual-boot-system-help-204117.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I'm running xp professional. I used the disk manager to remove a primary partition. The disk space that is left over says it is unallocated. Any ideas how I might incorporate it back into the C drive?

A:Removing a primary partition

You will need to resize the C partition in order to regain the unallocated space.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-a-primary-partition.7567/
Relevancy 77.4%

In a dual boot system with 2 hard drives, one for Vista and one for Win 7, do both OS partitions need to be "Active & Boot & System"?

A:Partition in Dual boot system

If you are installing the OS to each HD with only one HD plug in at time, & use the Dell F12 boot menu, YES.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/144242-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I have windows xp and windows 10 dual boot. I want to remove windows xp which is in the primary partition and that disk has booting files. So i cant format hat disk. Also that drive doesnt show up in my computer in windows 10, though it shows up in disk management. So i even want to get that disk back without windows xp. I have a small partition of 9 mb which was aleady present. How can i move those boot files to that small partition and gain back that disk in windows 10 without anything in it(neither win xp nor the boot files, bcz i may format it again). please suggest some easy way...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/382243-remove-win-xp-primary-partion-dual-boot-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I have windows xp and windows 10 dual boot. I want to remove windows xp which is in the primary partition and that disk has booting files. So i cant format hat disk. Also that drive doesnt show up in my computer in windows 10, though it shows up in disk management. So i even want to get that disk back without windows xp. I have a small partition of 9 mb which was aleady present. How can i move those boot files to that small partition and gain back that disk in windows 10 without anything in it(neither win xp nor the boot files, bcz i may format it again). please suggest some easy way...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/382243-remove-win-xp-primary-partion-dual-boot-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I've seen a lot of the threads that tell how to dual boot XP and Vista and even the other one today that tells how to get rid of the XP Partition.

But how does one get rid of the Vista Partition without hosing one's system?
Thanks
David

A:removing Vista from a Dual Boot System

Getting rid of Vista is pretty easy as the system always boots from the XP drive initially - just format the partition. You'll then need to either FIXMBR or something to get rid of the boot menu from the XP drive (the details of which I honestly can't remember, though I'm sure someone here will enlighten!)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-vista-from-a-dual-boot-system.563351/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hey guys, I've been looking through the forum and found some similar posts, but wanted to make sure that I understand everything before actually proceeding. I have a HP HDX 16t which came with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I used the Windows 7 Upgrade Disk to do a clean install of Win7 on a new partition (I only have one hard drive). I would now like to remove Vista completely. I am attaching a pic of what my Disk Management shows. Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Removing Vista from Dual-Boot System Vista + Windows 7

This great new tutorial from Barefootkid will show you with pictures exactly how to accomplish this using the best partitioning tool for Win7: Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

Use Option One in the tutorial and substitute your Vista partition for the 100mb boot partition he refers to there.

Read the Note as once you delete Vista partition then Resize Win7 into its disk space and mark Win7 active, you'll need to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the System MBR to Win7 and start it up.

Back up your files and a system image externally as Resizing operations can fail although we have not had one fail in a couple hundred of these operations we have helped with here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/102033-removing-vista-dual-boot-system-vista-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 76.97%

With an XP Pro W Pro Dual boot configuration is it possible to do the following see screen shot or DiskMgmt info of current config below Move boot data from XP partition to the W extended partition Make W partition the Primary System partition Format the XP partition Extend Expand the W partition on to the available partition I have seen and tried many of the so called solutions currently posted with no success I can't help but notice that Microsoft does not currently offer a solution Alternatively if from W7 System Removal XP Dual boot partition a of boot the above is not currently possible which seems to be the case can I do the following Backup W and my documents partition to another drive Format the system drive Re-install W Successfully restore W with the backup retaining all programs amp drivers If this is all that needs to be done it's a no-brainer and should be recommended as the work around from MS My only fear to taking this leap is for some possible unforseen reason the restore function will not work with the new build Thanks in advance for any quot sure and sound advice quot SojourningAlien ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Currently booted into W DiskMgmt Disk - GB - Online WXP D GB NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition My Documents E GB NTFS Healthy Logical Drive W C GB NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Logical Drive -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:Removal of XP System boot partition from a W7 Dual boot

Use free Partition Wizard bootable CD. You 'll have to convert the Win7 Logical partition there to Primary first so that you can mark Win7 Active, then delete XP, resize Documents/Win7 extended partition into delete XP space, then boot into the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD to run Startup repair up to 3 separate times to write MBR to Win7.

[This is complicated by the Win7 partition being a part of Documents extended partition. You may need to include the Documents partition in all of the operations below involving Win7 partition. If you want to separate and move the Documents partition, or liquidate it into Win7 , ask back for additional steps.]

Boot PW CD, select 1 for screen resolution, rightclick Win7 logical partition>Modify>Convert to Primary, OK.

Rightclick converted Win7 Primary partition>Modify>Set to Active, OK.

Rightclick XP partition>Delete, OK.

Rightclick Win7 partition>Resize>slide left grey border to the left to take up deleted XP space, OK. Apply all steps.

Win7 will not now boot, so boot the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, click through to Recovery tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots, to write the MBR to Win7 until it starts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/83335-removal-xp-system-boot-partition-w7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I want to delete my XP partition and reclaim the space for my Win 7 partition that I already have installed and I want to move my 7 partition to the front of the drive. My PC started out with XP and I installed 7 in a separate partition, when I boot up 7 is the OS selected to boot.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/...d683216c_b.jpg
here is a screen shot of my drive broken down C:XP;E:Media;G:Win7;
I want to delete C: and move G: to the front
will I have to move any Boot info from the XP partition to the 7 part and if so what files do I need to copy I looked in the 7 root folder and I did not see any boot files/folders but I did on the XP part

A:I want to delete my XP partition on a dual boot system

Use free Partition Wizard bootable CD. Back up your files and a Win7 Backup Image as copying operations can fail. You will also need your Win7 DVD or Repair CD.

Boot PW CD, allow files to (strangely) load , select 1 for Screen Res, rightclick C: to Delete, OK.

Next right click G: partition, select Modify>Set to Active, OK.

Again right click G: partition, select Copy, follow prompts to copy G: into the space where C: was, click OK. Verify G: is still marked Active. Apply all steps.

System MBR must be recovered into Win7 now by booting Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, clicking through to Recovery Tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots as it will attempt to repair and finally write the MBR to Win7.

Others may suggest using imaging software to copy over the partition which is another option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/75288-i-want-delete-my-xp-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I hope 'Aura' sees this as his previous help (on the original computer)  had a glitch. He advised, 'Also, simply right-click on D: (which has the XP)  and select Delete'
(I'm trying this on another computer which has the same setup.)

This does not work as Windows says that it cannot delete this, presumably as it has the boot stuff on it? The link to see my configuration is:- http://puu.sh/iNLa7/e51a2c566c.png

D; is called BOOT and C: has Boot in the description.

Trying this again under Disk Management the Delete volume is greyed out but was not when I first tried it so Windows presumably 'knew' I had tried before - very clever?

Any advice please - thanks.

A:How to delete XP OS partition from a dual boot Win 7/XP system?

The only way you would be able to delete this partition is offline using a bootable disk or USB. If you delete the D: boot partition which is marked active, you would lose the ability to boot Windows 7. In order to get Windows 7 to boot again you would need to repair it. Send Aura a PM and reference this thread if you want him to reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581869/how-to-delete-xp-os-partition-from-a-dual-boot-win-7xp-system/
Relevancy 76.54%

I created a dual boot system quite some time ago and all was well until . . .

RTM partition was completely up-to-date. I had recently updated to Windows 10 Build 10251 on the Insider partition.

I turned the machine off on Sunday January 31, left town, and returned Saturday February 6. All was well with the dual boot when I turned the system off before leaving. When I turned the system on last night, it booted directly into the Insider Partition. There seems to be no option to boot into the RTM partition.

Help!

A:Dual Boot System - RTM Partition No Longer Available

Does the RTM partition still exist? If it does, IMO, it's only missing from boot manager.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/40003-dual-boot-system-rtm-partition-no-longer-available.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I currently have a functioning dual-boot system WinXP was installed first on the first partition which is marked quot System Active Primary quot Win was installed on the second partition also a Primary Using EasyBDC both OSs show up correctly in the Boot menu and I can selectively boot into either OS Now the question I want to either move WinXP to a new partition and only have the boot information on the System Partition or create a new System Partition leaving WinXP amp the associated legacy Apps where they are Bottom line I want a System Partition with only the & Boot) (Win OS from 7 Win System Dual Partition Move XP Boot information Move OS from System Partition (Win XP & Win 7 Dual Boot) and what ever else is required on a System Partition no OS a Primary Partition with WinXP as it currently is installed with the Apps and a Primary Partition with Win and those Apps At this point I don't know which is easier leaving the existing WinXP where it is and create a System partition for boot or moving the WinXP to a new partition and leaving the existing System partition alone I'm not very Move OS from System Partition (Win XP & Win 7 Dual Boot) comfortable with bootmgr and ntldr ----- I sure don't want to mess up my existing dual-boot which is working correctly And when I look in the existing hidden BOOT folder and see all those sub-folders I keep thinking maybe I should just leave this alone Also I have read the Dual-Boot WinXP amp Win tutorial on the forum - but that seems more for a new install of an additional OS I don't want to have to reinstall either existing OS It sure looks like leaving the existing System partition alone and moving WinXP would be best And I should say that I am using Marcuim Reflect to create full images of all the existing partitions If this is not the correct place to post this please let me know Thanks

A:Move OS from System Partition (Win XP & Win 7 Dual Boot)

What you could do is create a small 200GB primary partition. Make sure though that you do not have already more than 3 primary partitions on that disk (check in Disk Management). Give that little partition a letter and copy the bootmgr there (see tutorial). Use the letter of this little partition in lieu of C:\.

Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD

The bootmgr will be copied and the little partition will be activated and the XP partition will be deactivated. The original bootmgr will still remain on the XP partition, but it serves no function any more since the partition will be deactivated. Should anything ever happen to your little partition, you could reactivate the XP partition (and deactivate the little partition) and things would be as they are now.

Note: If you already have 4 primary partitions on that disk, post back and we will fix that first. Under no circumstance try to create any additional partition if you have already 4 primaries. You would end up in deep yogurt with all dynamic partitions.

And may I ask why you want to do that ??

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/285520-move-os-system-partition-win-xp-win-7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Dear readers I have recently installed a bit version of Windows on my computer without removing the old one bit The reason for not removing the old one was that my DVD writer broke so I had to install the bit version while still using the the Boot remove partition Can OS's, - system not one of Dual bit version I borrowed a friend's memory stick put the window disc's contents on the USB I then made it into an image and mounted it The installation was perfectly fine got new drivers and all but when I tried to format or delete the C partition Dual Boot - Can not remove one of the OS's, system partition on which I have my bit windows installed it displayed the following error message http puu sh YRwa I then stopped the old OS from booting but I'm stuck here I still can not format the partition as it's still a system partition How do I make the C partition a normal partition and Dual Boot - Can not remove one of the OS's, system partition turn the E partition into the system partition Here's a screenshot of the disk management http puu sh YRBK Regards hollowandi

A:Dual Boot - Can not remove one of the OS's, system partition

You can not delete C: as C: is the only bootable partition.
Logical partitions are not OS bootable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/277489-dual-boot-can-not-remove-one-oss-system-partition.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I created a dual boot system quite some time ago and all was well until . . .

RTM partition was completely up-to-date. I had recently updated to Windows 10 Build 10251 on the Insider partition.

I turned the machine off on Sunday January 31, left town, and returned Saturday February 6. All was well with the dual boot when I turned the system off before leaving. When I turned the system on last night, it booted directly into the Insider Partition. There seems to be no option to boot into the RTM partition.

Help!

A:Dual Boot System - RTM Partition No Longer Available

Does the RTM partition still exist? If it does, IMO, it's only missing from boot manager.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/40003-dual-boot-system-rtm-partition-no-longer-available.html
Relevancy 76.54%

i am running windows xp and ubuntu linux on my computer (dual boot) but i can't really get ubuntu to work properly. how would i uninstall it as well as the partition between linux and windows?

A:removing ubuntu (linux) from a dual boot system

how is your machine partitioned?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f64/removing-ubuntu-linux-from-a-dual-boot-system-100751.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have installed Win 7 eternity x64 in one of the non primary parttions. i installed it using my previous version of win 7 x64 RC which is on primary partition. but now i want to remove win 7 RC and Make win 7 Eternity as my primary OS can i do it?

A:Problem Removing Previous Win 7 on Primary partition

Quote: Originally Posted by niranjannj

I have installed Win 7 eternity x64 in one of the non primary parttions. i installed it using my previous version of win 7 x64 RC which is on primary partition. but now i want to remove win 7 RC and Make win 7 Eternity as my primary OS can i do it?

Just my curiousity, what is Windows 7 Eternity?

I hope someone here can help you!

zx81

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32052-problem-removing-previous-win-7-primary-partition.html
Relevancy 76.11%

how do I delete 1 copy of XP on a dual boot system on the same partition?

thats basically my question I really need to know how, thanks in advanced
- ej1elliot-

A:how do I delete 1 copy of XP on a dual boot system on the same partition?

I didn't realize it was possible to have the same OS on ONE partition. I could be wrong, as I've never done this before. To my knowledge you need two partitions to have two OS's. You should be able to load into one OS and delete the partition you don't need. Then you would have to fix your boot.ini file so it doesn't show both OS's.

Regards,

Brandon

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-do-i-delete-1-copy-of-xp-on-a-dual-boot-system-on-the-same-partition-138819.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I just recently received a dual-boot laptop that originally had Vista but is now running Windows Home Basic - it will no longer boot in Vista This computer has a single hard drive that is partitioned with the C drive Vista having the bulk of the storage Remove to Partition Need Laptop Dual-Boot System on and only GB are left for the partition with Windows the D drive This makes the computer run very slow and there is no space to install many programs http www sevenforums com attachmen amp d What I want to do is get rid of Vista the partition and everything currently on the C drive so that I can use the whole hard drive with Windows But I see that System files are on the C drive and don't Need to Remove System Partition on Dual-Boot Laptop want to format that drive and completely mess up the laptop Is there a manageable way to accomplish this without having to reinstall Windows I am by no means a computer guru and any help would be much appreciated Need to Remove System Partition on Dual-Boot Laptop Thanks

A:Need to Remove System Partition on Dual-Boot Laptop

Take look at this tutorial:
Partition : Recover Space Used by an Older OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/183202-need-remove-system-partition-dual-boot-laptop.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have two system in my PC Both are XP Pro SP At first there was only one on primary active partition I wonder if try to install a clean copy for game play - partition system incorrect. XP dual boot mapping For dual boot XP - system partition mapping incorrect. that I have shrink primary partition and create second primary partition using Power Quest Partition Magic to perform this Installation of additional system was successful my previous system partition been mapped as H disk I have added my previous installation to new ones boot ini Problem starts when I was trying to log in to this old system copy First of all users account was incorrect It was the same as in new copy There was no way to log in system just logged off by it self I fought that is because active partition was been set to this new installation Using Acronis Disk Manager i have switched active partition to first primary And boot again It seems to be fine There was my usual users account from first XP But when logging system switch his system partition to second one At first it did all fine normal desktop look display driver loaded but after a few seconds there is a black screen unload display driver desktop shrink errors about missing dlls blank shortcats on desktop in disk manager system partition is incorrect set to second primary instead of first one What is finally quot pissed me off quot when add the new XP copy to old systems boot ini the same appears in it I am in pain gave me a help hand nbsp

Relevancy 76.11%

My Lenovo y notebook came with Win Premium x installed I set XP - 200mb Boot Partition Dual System issue it up to Dual Boot with XP Pro I used EasyBCD and everything went rather smoothly My issue is that XP recognized the mb System partition created by the factory install of win as the C partition This causes issues when attempting to install the XP drivers as they try to extract to the C partition The driver installation error instructs me to free up more space on the C partition Note XP is installed on the XP Dual Boot issue - 200mb System Partition D partition I have tried several things and after much research I'm not quite sure what to do I assigned a drive letter 'S' to the mb partition in win XP Dual Boot issue - 200mb System Partition This didn't change anything in XP I cannot reassign the drive letter in XP because it is a system drive I know you can change drive letters of system drives via the registry however I fear this may screw with the boot files Is there any known fix for this I do not mind installing XP again if necessary I was thinking about using a partition utility to temporarily expand the mb partition to allow enough space to extract the XP drivers However I fear I may encounter other issues in the future with XP installed on the D partition Thank you very much for any helpful replies

A:XP Dual Boot issue - 200mb System Partition

Have a read through the second section of this tutorial
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/54449-xp-dual-boot-issue-200mb-system-partition.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 8 on my computer dual booting with the Windows 7 that is already installed. My troubles are when trying to format the existing hard drive with Win 7 installed to make room for the new OS. I shrank the existing partition and now have 20GB of unallocated space. I then put in the Win 8 disk and tried to put it on that unallocated space. It gave me a message saying it cant install it on this partition and that the dynamic volume was not supported. I then tried taking that unallocated space and made it a simple volume with the same results. I remember reading somewhere i need to make a second system partition but dont remember how to do that. I guess what im looking for is help on how to create a dual booting computer with Windows 7 and Windows 8. I really appreciate all responses and thank you very much in advance!

A:How to create a second primary partition to dual OS on a computer.

You cannot install an operating system on unallocated space, you have to create a primary partition first.

You also need to be using a basic volume and not a dynamic one and 20GB is the bare minimum for installing Windows 7, let alone Windows 8.

Although this tutorial shows how to dual-boot Windows 7 and Vista, the same principles will apply to a dual-boot with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista

Please post your disk management layout so that we can advise you further.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/187187-how-create-second-primary-partition-dual-os-computer.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I need to dual boot both 64 and 32bit windows 7.. I have a device that just will not work on 64bit..

So, I'm trying to put a 32bit install on a 50gb partition of one of my disks.
However, when I go to select the partition, the install says
Windows was unable to create a system partition or locate an existing partition

Can I have some help, here? :X

A:Unable to create/locate system partition.. Dual boot

Please post what device this is. And have you checked to see if that device will work at all with Windows 7? Could be it doesn't have drivers for 7. As far as I know there are no Devices that would not work on 64bit 7 and would work on 32bit 7. It either works on 7, 32 or 64 bit, or it doesn't.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/258204-unable-create-locate-system-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi - Can not find the answer to this anywhere, so far . . .

I run Windows 7 and Win8CP in a dual boot setup. I want to "upgrade" to Release Preview
and install it on the same partition where CP now resides. I tried installing while in CP by
opening the Windows Explorer Folder and finding the DVD drive with the .iso and then click
on "Setup". Installing from within Win8CP seems to be right but is it? I'd like to be sure that
it will install to the correct Drive (partition). Guidance, anyone? Thanks!

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8378-install-release-preview-onto-cp-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I loaded a hard disk formatted as a Windows Primary Disk onto my SATA controller. The BIOS sees the disk. In this case I want to load the new disk as a secondary drive (of course I have booted with a different hard disk). I load the Partition Manager and inside I find that the partition manger does not see the new disk. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the new disk being a Windows 7 primary boot partition as well. I was hoping to get a drive letter mapped to it so I could extract some data from that disk. What should I be doing when this occurs?

Thank you...

A:Partition Manager. Primary Boot Partition as Secondary Drive.

Have you tried Disk Management? Right click computer and select manage, in the left column select disk management. In the lower portion of the window you will see each hard drive with drive letters. If you see one with no drive letter, right click it and select 'change drive letter or path, next screen select add, and pick whatever drive letter you would like from the drop down list. Once it gives it a drive letter, you will be able to see it in explorer. If you have data on the drive you would like to keep, Do Not format it, if Disk Management wants to.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330976-partition-manager-primary-boot-partition-secondary-drive.html
Relevancy 74.82%

With the help of this forum and the Partition Wizard I have successfully installed Windows 7 64 bit on a separate partition (H) on my hard drive and I now have a dual boot system. The other partition (C:OS) runs Vista 32 bit OS.

The problem I have is that all my programs, files and settings are on the Vista partition. So I would like to remove Vista and merge the two partitions so that Windows 7 has access to my existing data and programs.

I have read a number of threads re merging, etc but I can't find one that specifically refers to my issue.

Thanks for your help.

A:Removing Vista from Dual Boot but retaining progs on Vista partition

Hi Paul, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Your issue is a typical upgrade issue, Internet in general and our forums in particular are full of advice in how to do it. As there's no way you can transfer your installed programs to your new Windows 7 installation, you have exactly two options.

Option 1, finish what you have already started:Copy your personal files from Vista partition to respective folders on Seven partition. You can do it manually or for instance using Windows Easy Transfer. Notice that your installed programs will not work on Seven even if you copy them and their folders to Seven
Delete the Vista partition
Use the free space (old Vista partition) to increase the size of the Seven partition
Re-install all your programs

Option 2, start from beginning:Do an in-place upgrade install, installing Seven on top of your Vista instead of clean install to another partition as you have done now. This option keeps all your installed programs and files exactly where there are now, no need to re-install them

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/315878-removing-vista-dual-boot-but-retaining-progs-vista-partition.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have liked Norton s Defrag utility for a long time because it optimizes the disk s swap files by putting them in the quickest to find location on the outside edge of the hard drive I think And that still seems to work well on the Win side of my dual boot system Win is on the active partition of my hard drive and W K is operating Best Extended program partition dual boot system? for defrag on the extended logical partition operating system partition I have Best defrag program for dual boot Extended partition operating system? heard the it is a good idea to find a defrag utility that you like and stay with it without jumping between different defrag programs each time you run one as between a Windows version a Norton version and other versions etc So my question is---- gt What is the best defrag utility to use on my W K partition in this type of dual boot situation should I use Norton s because I use it on my Win active parition O S or should I use Microsoft s or another if something else is better or should I use W K s defrag tool thanks as you know I m new to dual boot setups nbsp

A:Best defrag program for dual boot Extended partition operating system?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-defrag-program-for-dual-boot-extended-partition-operating-system.97492/
Relevancy 74.39%

I need to dual boot both 64 and 32bit windows 7.. I have a device that just will not work on 64bit..

So, I'm trying to put a 32bit install on a 50gb partition of one of my disks.
However, when I go to select the partition, the install says
Windows was unable to create a system partition or locate an existing partition

Can I have some help, here? :X

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-unable-to-create-locate-system-partition-dual-boot-670506.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi, I need some advice. I'm helping my brother to set up a dual-boot of Win7 & Win7.
The reason for this strange setup is because my brother wants to have his own Win7 system, separately from his son who keeps causing trouble with trojans/viruses & online games. I have several questions before I do this.

What is the fastest way of installing the OS twice with some basic applications on it?
Is it possible to just re-image the first installation to the 2nd partition & make some changes on it to avoid reinstalling everything twice ? It would save time a lot.
But then, what changes should I make to the system to make it dual-boot? Will that be complicated or even possible ?

Thanks

A:Making a copy of Win7 system to 2nd partition & enabling dual-boot ?

Quote: Originally Posted by Serville

Hi, I need some advice. I'm helping my brother to set up a dual-boot of Win7 & Win7.
The reason for this strange setup is because my brother wants to have his own Win7 system, separately from his son who keeps causing trouble with trojans/viruses & online games. I have several questions before I do this.

What is the fastest way of installing the OS twice with some basic applications on it?
Is it possible to just re-image the first installation to the 2nd partition & make some changes on it to avoid reinstalling everything twice ? It would save time a lot.
But then, what changes should I make to the system to make it dual-boot? Will that be complicated or even possible ?

Thanks

I would suggest creating a separate limited user account. Much easier and will accomplish the same thing. The following link will provide details;

Setting up user accounts in Windows 7

You can also do your own search and find several articles on "how to set up a limited user account".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/211864-making-copy-win7-system-2nd-partition-enabling-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello everyone I recently got in to some trouble using my good old computer running Windows XP When i installed it i primary boot wrong Lost :( partition partition and decided to make two partition out of my HDD one larger for programs documents and such and one smaller intended only for the OS The idea was that should i for some reason need to reformat and reinstall XP i would not lose valuable documents and photos doing so Well my computer had been quite slow for a while the symptom being that processor was very often working Lost partition and wrong primary boot partition :( at or close to After trying a couple of things i realized that my partition intended for the OS Lost partition and wrong primary boot partition :( was a little small and that removing anything not needed i only had MB or so of free space I then came across programs such as Paragon Partition and Easeus Partition Master Unfortunately both attempts ended in a computer freeze and the computer Lost partition and wrong primary boot partition :( at least in windows losing my larger partition C was no longer to be found causing for instance all my programs to be unable to start since they were installed on C I then used a program called Testdisk to try to get hold of my original partition and remove and corrupt duplicate ones This is where things got messy I believe that i somehow managed to change the primary boot partition causing a readdisk error What was originally a search for some extra partition size has now made me unable to use the computer at all I have so far tried some different things I have started with the XP CD in only to realize that my former d drive the one with the OS on is now labelled C and my former C is now labelled H Having tried to fix it by reinstalled windows on both the new C and the new H without any apparent effect i made my way into the recovery console In the recovery console i have logged into H tried bootcfg rebuild bootcfg default bootcfg add bootcfg list Which only found one of the latest added installations on the new H fixboot fixmbr chkdsk ntldir copy c netdetect com copy c Neither one of these actions has produced any effect and i'm stuck One thing i have left in my mind to try is making a Boot diskette never thouht i would use the floppy again booting of it to reach a palce where i can run fdisk in an effort to change the active partition I have limited computer knowledge and desperately need some help to rectify the situation Thx in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-partition-and-wrong-primary-boot-partition-456823.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello I am running Windows Vista SP on a Lenovo X tablet machine I a gone lost - a partition boot awry system Parition data all on dual on management am dual booting Vista Parition management gone awry on a dual boot system - lost all data on a partition with Ubuntu So here is the situation - I had four partitions for Vista c d e and f F drive was just some MB partition that I had to keep there after I had tried to move and merge partitions with Paragon Partition Manager a few months ago I had tried to merge F with D as F showed adjacent to D instead of E in the partition chart but when I did that and restarted the system the system did not boot I had dual boot then too I was trying to find out the problem so I used Paragon Partition Manager from Hiren s Boot Disk and reverted the changes I had made merging D and F and everything was fine - I was able to boot fine This is all a recollection of activity I did a few months ago A week ago I tried to do the same hoping it would work this time but ended up in the same situation What was worse this time was that Hiren s Boot Disk did not load some CDROM drivers so I could not access Paragon Parition manager or any other partition manager in that CD and I could not revert the changes I tried another boot disk Ultimate Boot Disk but it also failed to download CDROM drivers I don t get why it would not now when it worked fine a few moths ago In addition to this I could not boot Vista At some point after - hours Ubuntu did not boot too So I reinstalled GRUB the bootloader and I was able to boot into Vista as well as Ubuntu Interestingly when I booted in to Vista I got the Paragon Partition Manager screen with the changes I had wanted to make - merging D and F There was no option for me to revert or cancel the changes so the only thing I could do to pass that screen was ot click quot Ok quot which I did After that task was completed I booted into Vista After booting there was no F drive just one D drive but the problem is it shows as just a drive with no data on it and unformatted too So when I double-click on D drive to open it it asks me if I want to format the drive I do have backup of that drive but it is not the most current and I looked at the backup I have and found that there is much more that I am missing in the backup so I need to have the lost data on D recovered somehow It seems to me I will have to dig deep into partition tables and stuff but I am not adept with all that I am hoping I could change some file which would show the D drive with all my data in it - something like this worked for me in Ubuntu Linux I would truly appreciate if someone could please guide me step-by-step in solving this problem I need to have the data on that drive back as it is important for work Thanks a lot I am attaching two screen shots one with E drive clicked on in Paragon Partition manager and one with D the problem drive clicked on Keith nbsp

A:Parition management gone awry on a dual boot system - lost all data on a partition

Anyone, please? Thanks.

Keith.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/parition-management-gone-awry-on-a-dual-boot-system-lost-all-data-on-a-partition.719953/
Relevancy 71.81%

I've read a few related posting etc but my problems are a slight various I was using the Free Window Ultimate Beta for a few months Then bought a Windows Dual Boot 7 Removing new Quad i -Bit Laptop with -Bit Windows Pro pre-installed But wanted a fresh Removing Dual Boot Windows 7 clean install with partitions and without most unwanted pre-installs Made sure I had all the required drivers plus the Windows -bit DvD I then ran into a fresh install problem that many others seem to have Installing from the -Bit Windows Pro Dvd to a totally clean disk Well for thousands like me it hangs and fails but I eventually found a solution as below Tried several other Internet forum blog solutions which all failed but below worked On a single disk I made two partitions plus the recovery partition and I had previously made a bootable install Dvd for the now old Ultimate Beta So I installed that previous Windows Ultimate Beta now expired onto partition I assumed installing onto partition was a clever bit of pre-planning All ok and after it booted up fine I then could did install the new -Bit Windows Pro onto partition So now I have a dual boot but both are Windows and I boot and use the new Windows Pro fine But even though the new wanted O S is on partition and the unwanted Beta is on partition the registry and all paths on the wanted partiton are labeled as D I have installed onto this this D almost everything I want and need There is nothing I need or want on partition with old Beta O S but labeled C I want to quot safely quot a totally zap partition which is labeled C and perhaps leave unallocated b re-label partition from D to C without confusing the bootmgr nor registry c remove the dual boot selection screen d then reclam the unallocated space and recreate a new partition and a new formatted logical drive D Fairly confident but also very afraid I might end-up lossing everything again and starting all over again Any help or advice would be extremely welcomed

A:Removing Dual Boot Windows 7

Unfortunately you cannot change the driver letter of installed OS without it becoming unbootable.

However there is no reason you can't operate Win7 on D drive like it currently is set up.

Please post a screenshot of your full Disk management drive map so we can give you the exact steps. Use Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach file using Paper Clip in Reply Box.

The steps are roughly to use either Diskpart commands from the Win7 DVD or free Partition Wizard bootable CD (best tool for Win7 64 bit) to mark D: active, delete C, then recover System MBR into D by booting Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD and running Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots.

But let us see the screenshot so we can be sure there are no potential complications.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/75555-removing-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello,

I have set up my machine so Windows 7 is the second OS on the dual boot and within the first OS i'm also able to open the windows 7 partition via VM software.

The problem i have is the VM software looks like different hardware to the Laptop so when i go from Physical windows to VM windows it asks me to re-register my copy of windows and vice-versa.

Has any one got any suggestions how i get windows to except that both hardware set-ups are the same machine? or any other way around my problem?

I do have the retail version so thought this would be ok.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks
Pete

A:windows 7 partition as Dual Boot and VM

Hello prldoyle,

Welcome to Seven Forums.

I was just wondering about this while answering another post. The problem is that the hardware in the VM is virtual hardware and not the hardware on your machine. Windows recognizes it as a different computer. I don't know of any way to convince it otherwise. What is the other OS in the dual boot? I believe the EULA says one copy on one machine if I remember correctly. Someone please correct me on this if memory fails.

Hope this helps.

Gary

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/56607-windows-7-partition-dual-boot-vm.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi!
I installed DOS into 2GB FAT 16, then installed Windows 7 Ultimate expecting W7 to install itself in a partition with a drive letter other than C (just as XP had done in a previous dual-boot setting with DOS) But no, W7 has hijacked the C drive letter for itself.
How can I stop W7 from "stealing" from DOS, the drive letter C, for itself?

A:How keep DOS as partition C with dual-boot DOS & Windows 7 ?

I have to ask! Why do you need or want DOS? If it's for some apps then there is Oracle Virtual Box which runs under Windows 7 or even DOSBOX.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/207407-how-keep-dos-partition-c-dual-boot-dos-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Okay so I ve spent the last couple hours researching how to remove my ubuntu partition from a multi-OS boot with Windows and Vista still boot with Windows dual 7 Ubuntu in removing not convinced of an exact method or strategy I need the space but am more afraid of losing all my data and having to reformat and reinstall Windows Yes my data is backed up but it s just the hassle of having to reinstall apps and shortcuts and every single little thing I ve tweaked especially the registry in the past year Does anyone know of a full proof method to uninstall and remove this ubuntu linux removing Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows 7 partition Does the fact the i installed Windows after Ubuntu laptop came with Vista then installed Ubuntu to dual boot then recently got change anything or the fact that Windows is listed as my default OS Until i know for sure i guess I m just gonna have to leave it there any help would be greatly appreciated I knew that grub was gonna come back and kick me in the ass Vista Home Premium Ubuntu Windows Professional Thanks

A:removing Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows 7

So you have a triple-boot? Vista, Ubuntu, and 7?Do this for me while inside Windows 7:in the Start Menu search, type this and hit Enter:msconfigOnce on the "Boot" tab, take a screenshot and post it here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/300653/removing-ubuntu-in-dual-boot-with-windows-7/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi All The time has come to remove windows xp from my duel boot configeration I bought a gb ssd and replaced my gb ssd The gb ssd removing boot on dual 7 carification windows from Need that I removed is where my windows Pro is installed So I cloned windows from the gb ssd to the ssd and removed the gb ssd and saved it If I ever need to reinstall windows I'll hook it back up and just copy it to my disc ounce more Need carification on removing dual boot from windows 7 I am running Windows of the cloned copy Need carification on removing dual boot from windows 7 and everything seems to be just fine Now the reason for the post I installed windows first and installed windows xp after I am running three hard drives Which are C-ssd F-ssd G-Convention HD E is parition of G drive All the posts I am seeing are with windows xp first and windows after on duel Need carification on removing dual boot from windows 7 boot configerations Here are some links I looked at Remove Windows XP from Dual Boot Remove XP from dual boot REMOVING XP from Windows XP Dual Boot revisited My windows is on C drive or drive and xp is on E drive which is a gb partition of my TB drive So in my case all I have to do is delete the partition that should remove xp but do I have to do anything else to remove all traces of xp Thanks

A:Need carification on removing dual boot from windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by Raner777

Hi All...
The time has come to remove windows xp from my duel boot configeration.
I bought a 240gb ssd and replaced my 60gb ssd. The 60gb ssd that I removed is where my windows 7 Pro is installed. So I cloned windows 7 from the 60gb ssd to the 240 ssd and removed the 60gb ssd and saved it, If I ever need to reinstall windows 7 I'll hook it back up and just copy it to my disc ounce more. I am running Windows 7 of the cloned copy and everything seems to be just fine.
Now the reason for the post.
I installed windows 7 first and installed windows xp after.
I am running three hard drives Which are C-ssd), F-ssd, G-Convention HD ...E: is parition of G drive..
All the posts I am seeing are with windows xp first and windows 7 after on duel boot configerations. Here are some links I looked at...
Remove Windows XP from Dual Boot
Remove XP from dual boot
REMOVING XP from Windows XP/7 Dual Boot ... revisited
My windows 7 is on C drive or 0 drive and xp is on E drive which is a 200gb partition of my 1TB drive. So in my case all I have to do is delete the partition that should remove xp but do I have to do anything else to remove all traces of xp...Thanks...

Since you state you use a dual boot with the options of XP or Windows 7, you will want to remove the XP option. The easiest way is with a free utility EasyBCD which can be downloaded from;

http://neosmart.net/blog/2010/welcome-to-easybcd-2/

I can't think of any other issues you will encounter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244397-need-carification-removing-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Windows 8, 64-bit.

Used to run Win 7 on our main drive, and used a second one for storage (mainly games), however something happened, making us unable to boot. So we decided to upgrade to Windows 8, which we put on our secondary drive, and that's now the main one (boots from here, is Disk 0). When I turn on the PC, it asks me whether to run on Windows 7 or 8 (8 is the default). C: contains Windows 8, D: Contains Win 7.

MAIN PROBLEM: Since we're going to use the old main drive as storage (the one with Windows 7), I wanted to format it, but it won't let me because, I suppose, of the System files still on it (System, Active). Picture of Disk Management below. How do I format it?

A:Removing Old Windows 7 in 2nd Drive (dual boot)

Hi there

Simple - first ensure the disk is not open in file explorer etc.

Get into Command mode as administrator

Now run the following commands

1) diskpart
2 list disk ==> you'll get a list of disks -- choose the one you want to use say 2
3) select disk 2
4) clean
5) create partition primary
6) active (Only use this command if you want to install an OS on the HDD - otherwise skip command 6)
7) format fs=ntfs quick
8) assign
9) exit
Now you can use the disk as data etc without any trace of the previous OS. If you want to re-size partitions etc use GPARTED either as a bootable stand alone system or use any LINUX live CD and after booting type as root GPARTED and adjust partition sizes to suit.

Windows might do it too as the disk is now cleanly formatted -- in disk management just delete and re-allocate the partitions after the steps above.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/49052-removing-old-windows-7-2nd-drive-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I am trying to remove Windows from my system For humor's sake I am having too many compatibility Windows Removing dual-boot 7 7/Vista from issues with Windows so for the sake of disk space I am removing Removing Windows 7 from dual-boot 7/Vista Windows I am currently set with dual-boot Windows Ultimate and Windows Vista Ultimate on two separate hard drives Windows is installed on C and Vista is on D I am comfortable with losing all the data on the C drive however after some research I have some concerns I noticed that there is a system folder named quot Boot quot on C that doesn't exist on D This concerns me I'm thinking the D drive would not boot the system by simply formatting C and switching the cables Could I simply copy the quot Boot quot folder to D I realize that there would be some boot manager editing required however I don't know what changes to make Though I am comfortable with making those changes if I knew which changes to make I have used the bcdedit command previously but simply re-typed what was already written Could anyone help me with this I do not want to turn a 'congested' system into a 'non-working' system I am running a Lenovo ThinkCentre M -Y U with a Pentium It is an OEM build Vista is running sp though I am unsure about I could find out if necessary I would greatly appreciate any advice Thanks

A:Removing Windows 7 from dual-boot 7/Vista

After you delete your W/7 partition, boot off of the Vista DVD and choose Repair Your Computer. This will do bootcfg for you and editing out the W/7 from the boot file.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-windows-7-from-dual-boot-7-vista-615694.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I know I know this has been asked before but I just can't seem to get this done sigh Have XP then installed Win as Dual Boot Now trying to get rid of XP All is backed up from XP REMOVING Boot Dual XP/7 revisited Windows ... in case of disaster I've tried different procedures in these forums with no luck Last thing I tried was using EasyBCD to remove the boot option Now the computer just boots straight into Win but I REMOVING XP from Windows XP/7 Dual Boot ... revisited noticed that the XP partition is still active Made the Win partition active but when I reboot I just get a blinking cursor on the upper left of the screen and nothing happens I've tried the Windows installer Repair my computer and running Startup Repair times and still no luck just get the blinking cursor on the corner of the screen I then have to boot from CD with Partition Wizard and reactivate the XP partition and I boot again into Win The only thing I am hesitant to do is delete the XP partition If I do and then I can't boot I can't make XP active again to boot and would have to restore everything and would be where I started again Just need to get rid of XP safely Any guidance is appreciated Thanks

A:REMOVING XP from Windows XP/7 Dual Boot ... revisited

Hi there

The problem is you need to get rid of the old MBR.

1) Insert Windows XP disc and boot
2) use recovery console option when given install options
3) type FIXMBR

At this stage you won't be able to boot W7 -- not to worry as it's still there but the boot will only "see" the XP partition.

Now

4) reboot from the Windows XP disc or use a GPARTED disk

GParted -- Download

5) delete existing XP partition

6) Now install W7 install disc and chose repair system --this should re-build the boot process - and XP will now be 100% GONE.

(Before doing --please ensure you've got backups in case something gets hosed up - taking image backups is a good idea.).

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/43713-removing-xp-windows-xp-7-dual-boot-revisited.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I have Vista Vista in 7 Dual Windows with Removing a Boot on a separate disk from Windows Windows is on one of my partitions on the disk I tried to format the disk with vista by going in to My Computer and right clicking on the Removing Vista in a Dual Boot with Windows 7 disk and formating it like that but it says that Windows was unable to complete the format I unchecked quick format and put the allocation to default instead of bytes I'm doing it this way because Removing Vista in a Dual Boot with Windows 7 when I go to disk management it keeps loading but nothing is shown I have had it open for a long time now and still nothing is showing All it says is quot Loading disk configuration quot When I close Disk Management and open it again it stays at quot Connection to Virtual Disk Service quot Virtual Disk Service is set to start manually and it is started Is there any other way I can format the disk or do I have to do it this way I still want Disk Management to work though EDIT I did some searching and I found out what the allocation unit size is Is it better for me to decrease the allocation unit size if I'm using the disk as a backup

A:Removing Vista in a Dual Boot with Windows 7

Download and burn free Partition Wizard bootable CD, boot it, select 1 for screen res, rightclick Win7, Modify>Set to Active, OK.

Now rightclick Vista to Delete, OK., Apply all steps.

Set Win7 as first HD to boot (after DVD) in BIOS setup.

Next boot the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, click through to Recovery Tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the MBR to Win7.

If Disk Management will still not open, run sfc /scannow as Admin. If this fails, then run a Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95374-removing-vista-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I had a dual boot setup of Windows XP and Windows 7. I removed Windows 7, then replaced the boot.ini file with the basic default text for just a Windows XP boot. However Windows 7 is still showing up as a choice when I boot up. In fact it's the default OS that attempts (and fails) to load if I don't use the up arrow to choose XP within a few seconds. Anyone have any ideas on how to rid Windows 7 from my boot menu?

note: I also renamed Boot.BAK to Boot2.BAK and renamed BOOTSECT.BAK to BOOTSEC2.BAK since I know they are Windows 7 related.

A:[SOLVED] Removing dual boot of XP, Windows 7

Try this . . Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and click on Check all boot paths . . if it comes back with one is invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-removing-dual-boot-of-xp-windows-7-a-455014.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Suddenly my Win Home Premium x table have boot partition 7 Windows not does won't valid the partition - system a will not boot The system starts POSTs then loads the DVD driver then the screen goes black not blank but quot lit up quot black if that makes sense Then nothing If I use Hiren's boot cd I can boot up using the quot boot from HDD quot option fine and Windows operates normally System restore to a previous configuration made no difference to the original problem I cannot boot into Safe Mode F just offers me Windows 7 won't boot - the partition table does not have a valid system partition boot order options Running the Windows DVD I find the following No operating system is listed on the Repair Windows option Running Startup Repair finds the following error quot the partition table does not have a valid system partition quot which it claims to have repaired but the error remains and Windows will still not boot I found a few threads on a Google search and followed this advice in one Quote Boot dvd to system recovery options command prompt Type Diskpart lis vol find the vol letter e g C or partition number e g for the system partition sel vol C or sel vol obviously use the correct letter or number act exi My system partition was easily identified and listed as healthy so I selected it and made it active The problem still remains exactly the same The rest of the advice in that thread isn't relevant to my exact problem and involves additional command prompts which I didn't feel comfortable typing in as I'm a command line idiot My system is self built just over a year ago to my knowledge has been running fine without any hardware issues I'm prepared to do a clean install if that's what it takes but if there is a way to fix the partition problem without that I'd like to explore it first Can anyone help me Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 won't boot - the partition table does not have a valid system partition

Hi did you read the rest of the thread Solved Invalid system partition - Page 2 - Windows 7 Forums
you could always try the info here Ntldr is missing error in windows 7 boot - Microsoft Answers

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-wont-boot-the-partition-table-does-not-have-a-valid-system-partition-607190.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I have a GB Seagate SATA HDD as my master On it I have a GB NTFS primary C partition for WindowsXP partition a Boot Primary second Home Ed When Boot a second Primary partition I installed WinXP I used Diskmanagement to setup the rest of the HDD Boot a second Primary partition I followed what a friend advised me to do and that was to Boot a second Primary partition create a second primary partition GB for a linux distro fedora core Then the rest of the space GB aprox setup as an extended partition with a mb linux swap partition and the rest as NTFS data partition I installed linux on the GB primary partition all fine But I can t boot into it I was told that I could select which primary partition to boot into via BIOS and not have to use the linux boot loader But this doesnt seem to work with SATA hdd s he forgot that I had a SATA and thought I used IDE I guess this is because it loads the SATA drivers during boot and cannot do anything about them in BIOS - there are not settings regarding this - I was told I could select either C or D to boot from So how would I go about booting into the linux partition I want a dual boot system but I didn t want to use bootloaders because last time I did it caused MANY problems booting either OS I also plan to install a copy of Win SE to my slave IDE hdd soon which I would also need to be able to boot into but I should be able to set the slave HDD higher in the boot order in BIOS because it is seen in it Any ideas Late nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

Hi I have a small query about this whole partitioning business I'm trying to set up a partition so I can dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu My computer came with a Dell Recovery partition and an OEM partition as well as the main C drive which are all primaries I've created a new logical drive which I've called Z with the idea being to install the Linux OS in that Ubuntu to dual-boot 7 a partition Windows up and Set chunk of the drive My first question First up I've formatted it as quot exFAT quot - is this the same as FAT Next question can I divide this 'Z' into smaller chunks with different formats or do they all have to be the same format I was hoping to be able to format a small bit of the drive into a Linux filesystem so that both OSs can be kept entirely separate from each other but leave the bulk of it as FAT so that I can see my files with both Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu OSs If this is not possible what would be the best way to achieve the desired result Thanks for any help McG

A:Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Hi McG, welcome to the forums.
I can't really answer your questions about Ubuntu, but I recommend you start by checking this thread at the Ubuntu forum. I would save it since you might come into those problems when trying to install Ubuntu in your disc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/45429-set-up-partition-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Can anyone suggest or recommend a good partition scheme to have when dual booting XP x 7 Dual suggestions? Partition Boot XP / - Windows and Win x With XP I used nlite and had a VERY customized partitioning scheme that had programs on one partition music on another video and pictures on another and quot My Documents quot on Windows 7 / XP Dual Boot - Partition suggestions? yet another I Windows 7 / XP Dual Boot - Partition suggestions? wanted to keep partition sizes small for indexing purposes and to preserve data in partition got corrupt for whatever reason But I realize I went overboard I've got hard drives gb x gb x I'd like to keep the system data partitions SEPARATE from user data as much as possible I'd also prefer to keep program files data on a separate partition but I've heard this is not advisable and can lead to buddy systems Can anyone confirm this I'd like suggestions on how people would partition in my instance Right now I have XP Win partitions on one of the gb drives The other gb drive is split in half One of the drives is just one big partition and the other is also split in half What would you guys do And I'd like to keep it as simple as possible while at the same time keeping personal user program data on separate partitions Ideas I will post a pic of my Disk Management partition table for reference when I get home from work

A:Windows 7 / XP Dual Boot - Partition suggestions?

pic uploaded ... any suggestions guys?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/35234-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-partition-suggestions.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello,
I want to dual boot windows 7 and 8.
I have 4 partitions in my exisiting OS(windows 7)
C: 97 gb free space 20 gb
D: 292 gb free space 140 gb
E: 250 gb free space 10 gb
F: 296 gb free space 296 gb(its empty)

So my question is how do i partition it to dual boot win 8 and could someone also recommend the partition size for it.

A:Q] Dual boot windows 7 and 8, partition size?

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image.

First decide if C is the right size and if not what size you would like it to be.

I would move your data to E and F so that you can adjust the size of D to make it the Win8 partition, since an OS can benefit from being closer to the left hand side of the HDD.

If these are all Primary partitions you can adjust each one's size by adding or subtracting as much space as is available to/from any other partition even if it's not adjacent, following How to extend partition easily with Partition Wizard - video help.

If you have Logical partitions then there will need to be some minor changes before you can do this. Either way I would post back the screenshot and let us know the sizes you prefer so we can walk you through it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/309281-q-dual-boot-windows-7-8-partition-size.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi,

I have a dual boot scenario currently on an Intel 80GB SSD, with one partition as XP Pro, and the other is Windows 7, split 20GB(XP)/50GB(7).

The XP partition needs to be upgraded to Windows 7 for my wife's work remote access, and it will also include Office 2010 Pro.

Will I run into any issues dual booting into the existing Windows 7 partition after the upgrade, or should I just reinstall our personal Windows 7 OS after the upgrade is installed?

I have other hard drives to use as well if space becomes an issue, but I'd like to keep the existing Windows 7 install without starting from scratch.

Thanks

A:Upgrade XP partition to Windows 7 in dual boot

Only having 20g would a issue for you, hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/92828-upgrade-xp-partition-windows-7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi,

I'm a newbie in Windows 8, linux, Partition....

I would like to use my new laptop with windows 8 pre-installed to the following:

Create a Dual Boot Windows 8 / Ubuntu
Create on my C drive (unique drive on my laptop):

*a partition for the system
*one for Windows 8
*one for Data and
*last one for Ubuntu OS

My aim is :

-to install VmWare on Windows 8 and run Checkpoint Splat with virtual machines to perform CCSA labs.

to install GNS3 on Ubuntu for CCNP labs but with GNS3 accessing files in the Data partition

I have a Toshiba Satellite with 750Gb and 8 Go RAM.

According to you what's the best size for my partitions?
Is there a better way to partition my C drive regarding my aim?

Best Regards

***I don't know if it's the right section, sorry for that. Feel free to move this thread in the appropriate section***

A:How to best partition the HDD for dual boot: Windows 8 & Linux

I think the partitions size depends on the further software you want to use and install.
So if you have a lot of software which is running under Windows system I would recommend choosing a bigger size for Win 8 partition.

However, since you?ve got a 750GB HDD, you could take 200GB for Win 8, 100GB for Linux and the rest of the HDD size you could use for Data.

By the way: I found nice YouTube video how to create a dual boot using Win 8 and Linux http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Yd2jK-7Jg

Greets

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?70387-How-to-best-partition-the-HDD-for-dual-boot-Windows-8-Linux
Relevancy 70.52%

I have XP and Windows 7 64 bit both installed on my computer and want to delete the xp partition that I no longer use. The problem is that my XP partition is the primary, active and system partition! I really made a mess for myself when I partitioned my computer. Below is an image of disk management. XP is on D, 7 is on C. Thanks in advance!

A:Delete XP partition from Windows 7/XP dual boot

Try this.
Dual Boot - Delete a OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/314272-delete-xp-partition-windows-7-xp-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.52%

There was an old thread where someone asked how to remove XP Dual on Windows the boot same partition Uninstall one copy of Windows XP where were installed on the same partition and there were a couple of responses stating that they didn't think it was possible to install copies of XP on the same partition Well let me tell you that it is I just installed Windows xp Uninstall Dual boot Windows XP on the same partition pro on a hard dick which already had Windows XP Home installed and when it asked if I wanted to format the disk or leave the file system intact I chose the latter When the installation was complete and the computer restarted I was asked which copy of XP I wanted to start Home or Pro That was when I searched for an answer to how to remove one of them and came across that thread Well I could not find and answer to how to do it so I just reinstalled Pro and formatted the HDD My question is this is there a way to uninstall one version of Windows XP where they are both on the same partition

A:Uninstall Dual boot Windows XP on the same partition

Short answer - No.

You can only uninstall XP when it was an upgrade from a supported OS and the uninstall information is intact. This was not an upgrade so there is no uninstall option. The only way to reliably remove one installation is to do a clean install (with format) of the desired OS.

While it is certainly possible to install more than one OS on a single partition (that is the installer won't prevent you from doing it) this is not a supported scenario and the results will be unpredictable.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/uninstall-dual-boot-windows-xp-on-the-same-partition-584084.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Ok, I've about had it with Win7... way too many problems and way too much time soaked up accomplishing nothing. I'm going back to XP where everything worked and kept on workking.... But I still need Win7 for compatibility testing of software I'm working on.

Can anyone point me to a good walkthrough of setting up XP and Seven in dual boot with XP as the primary/default OS?

A:Dual boot ... XP and 7 ... XP as primary

Just read something like this:

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista - windows 7 - Lifehacker

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/78759-dual-boot-xp-7-xp-primary.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I have attached the screen shot from Disk Manager which shows how I installed Windows on a machine that origianally ran Vista After I used Windows I have not used Vista for over a year so I moved Removing Windows From Vista dual 7 Solved: boot the Windows to the start of the HDD using Partition wizard and some instructions on the web I now want to delete all the vista files and stop the dual boot getting the PC to go straight in to Windows Grateful for any help - searching the web showed dual boot but with as the secondary OS and Solved: Removing Vista From Windows 7 dual boot not the primary Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Quad CPU Q GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - Solved: Removing Vista From Windows 7 dual boot MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P Q-PRO Antivirus Norton Internet Security Updated and Enabled Many thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Removing Vista From Windows 7 dual boot

Click the Start orb - type run into the search box - type msconfig in the run box - Boot tab - you can set the Windows 7 to be default and delete any other entries.

I don't know where the Vista is, but note that your Master Boot Record is in that partition Windows has labeled "E" in your first screen shot. If you are going to delete or format that partition you should make the Windows 7 partition be the 'System" one and use your installation DVD to repair the MBR.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-removing-vista-from-windows-7-dual-boot.1036060/
Relevancy 70.09%

I have just installed two new internal HDs.

In Computer Management, one is listed as Page File, Primary Partition. The other as simply Primary Partition, though I'm pretty sure I did exactly the same installation procedure for both.

What's the difference? Should they both be the same? If so, which and what should I do to make the odd one right? Also, the Page File, Primary Partition drive is slightly smaller, for some reason.

Thanks.

D.

A:(Page File, Primary Partition) and (Primary Partition) - Difference?

From Wikipedia
A primary partition contains one file system. In DOS and earlier versions of Microsoft Windows systems, the system partition was required to be the first partition. Windows operating systems must be located in a primary partition. Other operating systems do not have this peculiar requirement. However, other factors, such as a PC's BIOS (see Boot sequence on standard PC) may also impart specific requirements as to which partition must contain the primary OS.

This one may load slow
Change the size of virtual memory (Page file size) in Vista | Windows Reference

The paging file is actually the virtual memory that is stored in the OS.
In the case of your question it is a hidden primary pattiion.

It not necessary, but if you want to try and see it
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286779-page-file-primary-partition-primary-partition-difference.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello,
i have a Packard Bell Dot S2 Netbook. When i bought it, i made 2 partitions for Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Then I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so i deleted his partition. Now, when i restart, i read only "Grub rescue >".
I read in this forum that i should reinstall Windows 7 using the CD, but my netbook can't read CDs!
I can use another pc with Windows 7....can i use it to fix the problem?
Thanks

A:Removing Ubuntu partition from Netbook, Windows 7 doesn't boot.

Welcome to Seven Forums.

You can create a w7 installer on a USB flash drive and reinstall with that. For how see here: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Download the iso file for your w7 version from here, Dell Community Sometime the iso will not work the first time and requires a re-download.

Here is a tutorial with all the above info. USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274876-removing-ubuntu-partition-netbook-windows-7-doesnt-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Due to some crazy, complicated and illogical partitioning in order to format my windows 7 OS partition, I'm currently left in the following way;

C: Windows XP - 50GB - 'Primary' & 'Sytem'
E: Windows 7 - 150GB - 'Primary' & 'Boot'
D: Documents - 260GB - 'Logical' & 'None'

Now I no longer need C: (XP), as I only used that to install windows 7 from (long story if you can't guess).

I can't Format or Delete C: right now using EASUS Partition Manager, becuase I guess it thinks 'This is your primary OS, you can't remove this'.

So, any ideas? Very frustrating :(

A:Changing Primary Boot Partition

Have you tried using the Windows Partition tool? If not then go to controlPanel/Administrative tools/computerManagement/storage/discManagement and you should be able to delete the C: partition if your using your 7 OS on the E: drive. Thats the only advice I have my friend Hope it helps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-primary-boot-partition-425311.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello,

I have Windows XP64 and XP 2005 installed on adjacent partitions on an 80 GB IDE hard drive. I had been accustomed to using BIOS to choose the drive and EasyBCD to choose the OS. A few days ago I was unable to boot into this drive because I kept getting the error "NTLDR missing (press Ctrl-Alt-Del)." I tried using Microsoft's BCSetup2 (I think that's what it's called) but couldn't get a floppy disk to boot. Being that there wasn't much on this hard drive, other than the Windows OS's, I decided to reinstall the Win64 on the first partition. I find now that EasyBCD does not install on my XP64, so evidently I must have had it installed on the XP MCE partition. I'm wondering now how I can go about accessing the MCE on that other partition, or finding or remaking the boot loader. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any comments.

A:How to Recover a Primary Boot Partition

Hi Arch,

Easybcd should install on 7.

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management, like this:

and of the bcd entries - type cmd in start search - when it pops up, RT click and run as admin.

Type:

bcdedit {enter}

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/11319-how-recover-primary-boot-partition.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Had win and XP working on dual boot with easyBCD for months Then had to wipe another drive so removed all connections in PC and wiped totally unrelated drive linked everything back up again and now windows won't boot up and the boot menu has gone I have three hard drives - Windows anymore 7 boot - booting XP partition dual Win and 7 not one backup one for XP and one with three partitions including win When i set the BIOS boot order to the XP drive it boots up ok when i set the order to win drive it gets to 'verifying dmi pool data' then asks for a boot cd I have rebuilt the MBR using partition wizard As you can see the XP drive is active and primary I cannot seem to set the win disk to be primary or active It also tells me Windows 7 and XP dual boot - Win 7 partition not booting anymore it cannot find a windows installation on the drive even though it is loaded onto E I have tried loading the win dvd and running the start repair several times but it does nothing I don't get what happened as all i did was remove all the hard drive connections then connect them back up a few hours later Any ideas I have spent four hours on it already and need help before i smash the thing up

A:Windows 7 and XP dual boot - Win 7 partition not booting anymore

fixed it! woohoo

this worked for me....

go here Visual BCD Editor - Windows 7/Vista
and get the VBCDE and follow instructions here Dual-boot Repair Windows 7/Vista
for automatic repair.

fixed my setup in half a second. machine booted back into windows 7 directly, then used easyBCD to add the winXP option to the boot menu and back in business. Both XP and Win7 on boot menu and both working fine. Woohooo!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/222044-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-win-7-partition-not-booting-anymore.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I recently bought a new DELL Inspiron laptop with Windows pre-installed on it I however want to dual-boot Windows with the pre-installed copy of Windows If I'm correct it uses UEFI I had to disable secure boot to boot into the Windows DVD and the hard disk is partitioned using GPT However during installation when the time comes to select the partition the error that pops up is this Windows cannot be installed to this disk The selected disk is of the GPT Partition Style But if Windows x supports booting from a GPT disk why is this error even coming up since 8... 7 Windows when trying Partition Error & to Style dual-boot GPT I'm already using a x Windows so why is this happening Also besides from that I tried another way to get around this problem by installing Windows on GPT Partition Style Error when trying to dual-boot Windows 7 & 8... a new hard disk using a powershell script from GPT Partition Style Error when trying to dual-boot Windows 7 & 8... within Windows The installation was unattended so it went fine - but when I tried to boot into Windows it gets stuck at the Starting Windows screen Why is this happening And how could this be fixed Will I have to reformat the entire HDD again as MBR GPT How can I fix this without doing that Found a helpful link but not quite sure what do with it http www eightforums com tutorials -downgrade-windows- -windows- -a html look at bottom when dual-booting with preinstalled windows and windows Also I don't want to delete all the partitions I want to keep the preinstalled Windows OS Any help would be appreciated

A:GPT Partition Style Error when trying to dual-boot Windows 7 & 8...

Windows 7-8 dual boot description...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490122/gpt-partition-style-error-when-trying-to-dual-boot-windows-7-8/
Relevancy 69.66%

I have a pre-installed Win7 machine.

I recently made a dual boot system to add Xp however I no longer need Windows XP.

Please can you let me know how to safely remove the XP partition?

A:PreInstalled Windows 7 - Remove a new XP Partition From Dual Boot

Hello pittering, welcome to Seven Forums!

The best, easiest way to remove XP and all of its code (a format will not do this) is to do a partition-specific wipe (secure erase) to the XP I: drive using the free Partition Wizard Home version; install the Partition Wizard program to Windows 7 to run the wipe from there, there's no need to boot to PW; the first link is the program download and the second is a tutorial to show an outline of the wipe process at Option Three; just be sure to do the correct partition.

Partition Wizard Home Edition

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

Be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/137665-preinstalled-windows-7-remove-new-xp-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi

My pc info -

AMD Athlon(tm) 5150 APU with Radeon(tm) R3

Motherboard Gigabyte AM1M-S2H
Northbridge AMD K16 IMC rev. 00
Southbridge AMD Kabini FCH rev. 7.2
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 4 GBytes

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

DMI BIOS
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version F2
date 06/20/2014

Hi

I have windows 7 installed on c drive.

I would like to dual boot with winxp.

I slipstreamed with AHCI driver.

When the windows xp installation menu loads to partition choosing page.

It shows my whole HDD as one partition.

The partition is like - Partition1 Unknown.

WinXP is not able to read the hard drive partition.

How can I fix this ?

Thanks and Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/392657-dual-boot-windows-7-already-installed-win-xp-partition-unknown.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi everyone, I just created dual boot with both Windows 7 home edition and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Both windows also original license. I want to use another Windows 7 for testing purpose, but I don`t want to use virtual machine. After I installed the Windows 7 Professional, I able to see another partition windows 7 from My Computer. Is there any way to hide another partition from My Computer or disallow to access to it? If one of my Windows 7 got virus will it affect to another Windows 7 as it can access to another Windows partition?

A:Dual Boot both windows 7 in same hard disk different partition

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/270771-dual-boot-both-windows-7-same-hard-disk-different-partition.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi Windows users I Windows Partitioning. Dual-Boot has partition. active am considering triple-booting with -Windows primary and default operating system -Windows wanna use app-tools -Ubuntu virus free and can be used incase of system failure This involves creating more partitions I am no expert in partitioning and I freak out when it says Bootloader not found which I had last night when Dual-Boot Partitioning. Windows has active partition. I did a driver update its another story This morning I've cleared out about gb ready to make Ubuntu and Windows This is my planned setup -E Drive Ubuntu gb -F Drive Win gb Only problem is I already have primary partitions and the boot partition is the Windows one in the forum thread Can Not Creat a Primary Partition to Install Windows CP The primary partition was the system one This is a very similar case to mine our laptop model's are even the same except my diskmgmt msc looks like this Where my active partition which loads first is Windows I don't have any hardware such as GParted or a backup computer to seek help incase I get an invalid boot again so I really hope this works out Any more information just ask

A:Dual-Boot Partitioning. Windows has active partition.

Have you make the HP OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks for Windows 7?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/38946-dual-boot-partitioning-windows-has-active-partition.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I am going to install 2 versions of 7 on my HD. My question is.

If i install any files on one version of 7: updates, programs, patches, games etc.

Will the other windows 7 have access to these files? to change, alter and / or update them , any access at all?

Note:
"I am Dual booting on the same hard drive, on different partitions, not 2 HD's"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/389564-dual-boot-2-windows-7s-partition-access-question.html
Relevancy 69.66%

No killed upgrade XP partition dual-boot 7 Windows really bear with me its not the usual gotchas I read about this a bit beforehand and followed techspot's basic upgrade guide Dual Boot Windows with XP Vista in Windows 7 dual-boot upgrade killed XP partition three easy steps - TechSpot My boot drive is a Gb Samsung spinpoint previously one whole partition containing XP This XP wasnt a clean install it was an upgrade to Windows I think and this may be the problem I have a number of other hard disks PATA and SATA which I am using for video editing stuff I downloaded GParted shrunk the XP partition to Gb and created a new Gb partition for Windows A bit small but I figured once everything was tested out I could grow out the Windows partition This was successful and I inserted the Windows disk selected custom install and installed to my newly created partition Windows did its reboots and I filled in the usual bunff to create basic accounts etc Then I rebooted and was a bit surprised I did not get the dual-boot menu it went straight into W Using F and F did not provide any further options specifically the 'Previous version of Windows' one Going into W Disk manager i could see the partition was still there I read other posts of what W does belately and yes it had 'hidden' the XP partition I gave it a drive letter D but W saw it as an empty disk I downloaded EasyBCD and it showed only one entry in the bootloader I tried to add a new entry using type quot Windows NT k XP k quot but the Drive was greyed out if I selected quot Vista Longhorn quot I could then change the drive to D and then change type back to XP odd I then clicked 'Add Entry' but it came back with an error message quot EasyBCD could not locate a copy of NTLDR on your hard drive Please download a copy of NTLDR and NTDETECT COM from Htpp blah blah and copy them to the drive D in order for your newly-created entry to work quot Does this mean my XP partition is truly trashed Is there a way to get back my XP partition I am thinking of maybe inserting the XP disk and repairing maybe it will detect XP and fix it but if it will blow away both my installations I might not bother Last resort is to use File Scavenger on the dead partition but when I checked it out in GParted again just now it said that Gb out of the Gb had data could it be that W has just not recognised my original XP partition as an XP partition thought it was its configuration partition and just overwrote stuff Please any advice gratefully received cheers Slaybells

A:Windows 7 dual-boot upgrade killed XP partition

First download the latest version of EasyBCD with automated diagnostics: Attachment 42143 Try again adding XP.

Then post a screenshot of your EasyBCD listings and full Disk Management drive map. Use Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach files using paper clip in reply box.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/47059-windows-7-dual-boot-upgrade-killed-xp-partition.html
Relevancy 69.66%

So I've been trying to fix my broken hard drive that stopped booting was at it for Windows XP Dual partition on hall.dll second x2, Boot with error the whole Dual Boot with Windows XP x2, hall.dll error on second partition day today from am o o I split the drive into two partitions it was originally GB I took GB from the single partition using GParted and installed windows on the new partition Installs from the CD just fine but when I attempt Dual Boot with Windows XP x2, hall.dll error on second partition boot I get this Code Windows could not start because the following file is mossing or corrupt lt Windows root gt system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file First I reinstalled windows No biggie I hadn't even logged on yet Success I was able to log on but after my fourth windows update the one after sp the same thing happened Wasted two hours updating This time I tried to fix the boot ini to no avail For reference here's what my boot ini currently looks like Code boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot I tried all sorts of things tried replacing the hal dll and ntoskrnl exe files ran chkdsk TWICE once for each partition obviously I even took the risk and used fixboot and fixmbr Right now I just failed after messing around with EasyBCD no go with that either So now I'm stuck I've exhausted all the methods that I could find BTW I've ran some SMART tests on the hard drive and everything seems fine no bad sectors or anything But then again SMART isn't the most reliable thing to test with so if anything else is required just point me in the right direction Uhh I know I'm forgetting something Right my computer specs DELL Latitude D with a WD Blue Scorpio GB Hard drive I think that's it Oh and the funniest thing about this is the primary partition the one that had the initial broken installation miraculously fixed itself But I'm not going to give up on this second partition it definitely will come in handy

A:Dual Boot with Windows XP x2, hall.dll error on second partition

I think your initial insticts were correct; there's a problem with the HD.

Try the Western Digital diagnostics and see if it can find a problem with the HD.

Have you checked to make certain all your drivers are working correctly?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-boot-with-windows-xp-x2-hall-dll-error-on-second-partition-545080.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have to install windows 8 in an existing partition, do i need to format the partition first. What steps do i follow?

A:install windows 8 in an existing partition(dual boot)?

Hello rishabhg492

First, if there is any data in the partition you want to install Windows 8, move the data to another partition.

Second, boot up from the Windows 8 installation DVD and when it asks you to select a partition, choose the intended partition and that should do it.

Hope I could help

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10294-install-windows-8-existing-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi everyone I have Windows Pro -bit installed on my Acer V - G and I've decided that I want to install Windows and 4 boot already Win 7 Need dual primary but HDD to 8 partitions has on a separate partition and setup the system for dual booting My problem as Need to dual boot Win 7 and 8 but HDD already has 4 primary partitions the title states is that primary partitions already exist on this HDD The recovery partition and the system reserved are of it The C drive is where my current OS is installed and the F drive is where I have my movies files games etc stored My plan was to reallocate some of the space of the F drive to a new partition which is where I'll install windows But I can't create a th primary drive I thought about changing the F drive to a logical drive but I'm not sure whether that will destroy the files stored in it and I don't currently have another medium to backup up my data to Plus I heard that an OS can't boot from those so now I'm at lost I've attached a picture of the disk management to help you all I also have Paragon Hard Disk Manager if that helps Thanks

A:Need to dual boot Win 7 and 8 but HDD already has 4 primary partitions

Hello mate, as a start have a look through the Method Two of the tutorial linked below for some ideas.

The second tutorial may also be a help.

Partition / Extended : Logical Drives

System Reserved : Multi Boot from Logical Partitions

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/303403-need-dual-boot-win-7-8-but-hdd-already-has-4-primary-partitions.html
Relevancy 69.66%

My main machine is XP/Pro/32-bit; I'd like to be able to also boot Win 7 RC/64-bit. The computer has two RAID-1 arrays (Sys/Programs & Data). Ultimately, after release, I'd like for the machine to be Win 7 64-bit.

For what it is worth, I've executed the Win 7 Upgrade Adviser (Beta), and except for some XP-specific utilities from Microsoft, I'm good to go. So ....

(1) Can I do this?

(2) Is there Open Source or low cost software to supply the VM function?

(2) Ought I do this? Is it reckless, since this is my "production" system ....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-xp-pro-primary-adding-win-7-64.827506/
Relevancy 68.8%

So I recently formatted my Windows system and installed Windows But it seems that the setup decided to set my System parition to a separate HDD G and primary disk? to partition Move system put the bootmgr and all the boot files there instead of using the left-over MB System Reserved partition on my primary SSD that Windows had used So of course now if I removed that disk I wouldn't be able to boot anymore So what'll be the best way to move all of the boot files and system partition setting back to my old MB Move system partition to primary disk? System Reserved partition Will I need to disconnect all the other drives and do a repair install of Windows Move system partition to primary disk? Or can I manually move the files and partition settings over The old partition is still marked as Active so maybe I can just move all the Boot related files from G to the MB partition and it'll just work Maybe mark G as INACTIVE too Here is what my Disk Management looks like http i imgur com xX RsYh png

A:Move system partition to primary disk?

Changing the Boot Partition

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Scroll down to the register button. Click register. You don't have to enter a name or email address, just click download.

Judging from the screenshot you posted, though, the system should be booting from the 350mb partition on the SSD that is already there. Which physical drive is bios set to boot from?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/38706-move-system-partition-primary-disk.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I performed a clean install of Windows 8 Pro on Drive C. Drive E is marked "System, Active, Primary Partition." I want to format this HD and use for backups. However, my system will not allow me to format. I downloaded "Unlocker" and "deleted" folders and files, but the amount of free space doesn't change and I've not been able to empty my recycle bin. On the Internet, some have suggested that Win 8 puts boot manager on a different partition. This doesn't make sense to me. Any thoughts? I have GParted but don't want to screw up boot manager, etc. If I can't delete files or format there's usually a good reason. But I'd like to clean up this partition so I can use it for backups. Thanks.
PRSRNS

A:Formatting A System, Active, Primary Partition

Hi and welcome to Eightforums.

Disconnect the E-drive phisicaly and boot your PC. This will force Windows to forget about the system partition on E. Shut down the system after succesfull booting.

Then reconnect your E-drive and boot again ==> Now you must be able to format the entire E-drive.

Another option is to diconnect the E-drive and connect it to another pc and format it. Although the first option should work.

Tip ==> When doing a reinstallation make sure only the C drive is connected. Connect the other drives AFTER the installation.

Good luck!!

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/18589-formatting-system-active-primary-partition.html