Windows Support Forum

Need 16GB of free disk space for the AU?

Q: Need 16GB of free disk space for the AU?

I'm not seeing any update pending on Windows Update so I've downloaded the update assistant tool from MS to force it. It worked fine on two of my desktop PC's but it complains about having not enough disk space on my 32GB Dell Venue Pro. It currently has ~4GB but it says I need a whopping 16GB! That seems a bit too much. Anyone know of a good workaround for this? If I wait for the scheduled WU update, will it still require much less disk space?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Need 16GB of free disk space for the AU?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Need 16GB of free disk space for the AU?

Originally Posted by TK2011 I'm not seeing any update pending on Windows Update so I've downloaded the update assistant tool from MS to force it. It worked fine on two of my desktop PC's but it complains about having not enough disk space on my 32GB Dell Venue Pro. It currently has ~4GB but it says I need a whopping 16GB! That seems a bit too much. Anyone know of a good workaround for this? If I wait for the scheduled WU update, will it still require much less disk space? it needs the space for downloading the file, unpacking it and installing it. During installation, old windows files are also stored (this took 10GB on my surface). So yes, that space is needed.
Do disk cleanup and remove files if possible

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/434167-need-16gb-free-disk-space-au.html
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi all,
I've just installed Windows 8.1 onto my friend's laptop, a Sony Vaio.
Originally, there are 2 partitions: C for Windows 8.1 (143GB) and D for Data (165GB).

I decreased partition C to 43GB and increased D to 265 GB by using Acronis Disk Director Suite from Hiren's Boot CD. Unfortunately, the process crashed. Partition D's format became RAW and whenever I open it, what I see is "Disk structure is corrupt and unreadable".

What can I do now?
Somebody, please help me.
Thank you very much.

A:Disk structure is corrupt and unreadable

Hi there,
What is your primary goal at the moment to recover the partition or to format it and make is usable? You might try using some kind of partition recovery software, but if the data that's on this partition is important you might think about using professional data recovery services. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-structure-is-corrupt-and-unreadable.216148/
Relevancy 19.35%

Dear frnds,

I have been using my external hard disk(WD My Passport Essential SE) 1 Tb, since last 6 months, but after a recent virus scan, my laptop is not showing the external hard disk, i have tried using My computer, Manage and Disk management.

I am unable to find external hard disk even in Disk management i.e. it is not showing.
So please can anyone help me in this concern......
I would really appreciate and thanks in advance

A:Problem with my external WD 1TB My Passport hard disk

First, try accessing it from another computer to be sure it can be accessed elsewhere. The Western Digital Passport Essential has had a pretty high failure rate as seen in our shop... so the unavailable external hard disk may not have anything to do with the virus scan may have nothing to do with the problem.

In other cases, I would attempt to reinstall the Passport drive. You do not usually cause any damage to the data on the drive when you do this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-my-external-wd-1tb-my-passport-hard-disk.176021/
Relevancy 24.94%

I recently cloned my old 160gb hdd on to a new 1tb hdd, then proceeded to format my old hdd. After formating it had lost 128gb only showing 32gb. I have checked for partitions (unallocated) but none can be found. Even tried remapping mbr, with no result. Any help to recover my lost storage space would be great.

A:Lost hdd space post format

I'm running Windows 7 home premium BTW don't no if that info will help with a solution or not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-hdd-space-post-format.213789/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi I have a 450GB hard drive and had only used up less than half of it.. or so I thought. Yesterday for some reason my disk space had been reduced to 38GB remaining. I ran WinDirStat and it told me my hard drive had 191 GB used space (which means I should have plenty of extra space) but when I right click the drive and look at properties it tells me that I have 416 GB used space! Help what is going on here?

A:Where is my disk space?

Download MiniTool Partition Wizard and check the drive that way. You may have a section of the hard drive not currently associated with a drive letter or you may have a defective hard drive. It's a free program and it will show you right on the screen every part of your hard drive (even if it is not showing elsewhere in other programs).
Also, you should probably run Disk Cleanup from within Windows. That will clear out old temp files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/where-is-my-disk-space.213151/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have a three month old Dell Dimension GHZ P Gig Ram and a gig SATA Hard Drive When I got the computer I used the files and transfer PC Relocator utility And had in Error system drives did hard Message: disk find Setup not your installed any a bunch of unwanted extras that came with it I m having a Satellite Internet system installed and they wanted a clean install of windows XP So I opened the owner s manual and got out the reinstallation disk and the problems began By the way Dell tech support s only response has been to say gee that s not right and would send a tech sometime after Christmas Anyway heres step by step what I did I boot to the Dell reinstallation disk Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system The windows setup screen appears and loads files The next screen says welcome to setup and offers three options -to setup XP press enters To repair XP press R to exit without installing XP press F I press enter and the following message comes up Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected And any disk related configuration is correct ect Press F to quit It dose this if I try repair also Dell had me check the connections to the HD and Motherboard They re good And debug the hard drive No luck Everything worked fine until I put in the reinstallation disk Any help would be welcome nbsp

A:Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system

During Setup, it will ask you if you need any extra drivers such as SCSI (or SATA in your case). If so, press F6. Now you are in trouble, because SATA drivers come on a floppy and new(er) Dells don't have a floppy anymore. Borrow a floppy-drive from another PC and install that in your Dell.
Setting up with the Dell disks, I'm not sure if they are RESTORE-disks or full XP-disks.
That may cause another problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.18329/
Relevancy 19.35%

When booting up my computer, directly after auto-detecting SATA devices, my computer regularly gives me an error that alternately reads "Primary Hard Disk Failure, Press F1 to Resume..." or "Secondary Hard Disk Failure, Press F1 to Resume..." Sometimes the word "Slave" or "Master" are there after the words "Primary" or "Secondary" in there as well. While the content of the message varies, the result is usually the same: The startup process lags after auto-detecting the drives, then gives me this error.

I have three SATA hard drives and a DVD drive plugged in to my mb via SATA. When no HDD are detached, but I have boot media in the DVD drive, the computer starts up quickly and normally, with no errors. When any or all of the HDDs are plugged in, I receive the above error. I borrowed a HDD from my roommate, plugged it in, attempted to boot up and still received the error. None of the HDD are bad, and it would be a pretty big coincidence for all four I've tested to fail at once.

What could the problem be?

A:Primary Hard Disk Failure, Press F1 to Resume

UPDATE:

When I plug in just one or two of the HDD + the DVD drive, the computer boots fine. When I plug in three HDD + DVD drive, failure! Do I perhaps need to upgrade my power supply?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-disk-failure-press-f1-to-resume.208761/
Relevancy 38.27%

USB flash drive - unreadable, can't format, cannot access

Symptoms in Windows 7/8

1) I Can see drive in "My Computer"
2) Double click on drive in my computer and it says : "Please insert disc into drive H:"
3) Right click and select format and it says: "There is no disc in drive H. Insert a disc, and then try again"

plz provide any solution

A:Usb flash drive hp 16gb v215b

Try removing or reformatting the partition from Disk Management. If you can't, see if you can delete the partition and create a new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-flash-drive-hp-16gb-v215b.208440/
Relevancy 19.35%

Error 0x4001100200001012 attempting to boot from the System Repair CD created on a Dell.

Apparently, this is specific to Dell and their Hack with DataSafe. You can use any System Repair CD generated on some other platform and it will give you access to restore your System Image. Google using that error code and you'll find lots of info. A Windows Install disk will work too.

I have a SR cd from another system and it works just fine :whew:

Don't get caught up a creek w/o a paddle - - if you plan on using a System Image to recover a system,
make sure you have the tools which will allow that image to be restored - - DON'T ASSUME!

background: I'm seeing SMART data that corroborates my laptop HD is degrading and I wanted to prove I could restore when the replacement arrives. As this Dell laptop is a pain to open up, I didn't want to go down in flames due to procedural errors or lack of familiarity. ( I'll never by another Dell )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/caveat-emptor-dell-system-repair-disk.207223/
Relevancy 19.78%

My Asus DRW 24B1ST CD/DVD-Rom device works in Dos (bootCD works no problems), and is recognized by my WinXP Device Manager and listed as working properly. But when I try to run or view a disk from My Computer, all I get is a blank window. The window has the correct partition/drive identity, so I know it's pointing to the device, but it just won't interact with the disk.

The same device was working fine in a previous WinXP installation on the same computer, but when I installed another WinXP sp2 (I had lost access to the original installation) I had a few glitches and this is the remaining one that needs to be fixed.

BTW, I can bootup from a bootCD and run a miniXP and have no problem with the CD/DVD-ROM device, so the issue must be with the current WinXP installation.

Any suggestions for repairing this problem?

A:CD-ROM device won't open or run disk

Wow very interesting. Yo had mentioned it will boot to disc, have you tried while in safe mode. So if you restart computer and utilize the function f8 button go to safe mode with networking check to see if it works in there. If it does then I assume it is driver related issue. Of course in safe mode it loads minimum drivers to have a functioning safe environment. Even though windows recognizes it in device manager does not mean it has a working driver. I would even go as far as uninstalling the driver and reinstalling one from the manufactures website. You could first try uninstalling the driver then rebooting the computer then letting windows reinstalling the driver upon boot up to see if that fixes it first. Hope this helps let me know what you find.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-rom-device-wont-open-or-run-disk.206972/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi I have an old WinVista laptop with a Gb C drive and a Gb D drive The C drive is full but for about Mb of space I have not added a program or file to the drive in over a year because the disk was filling up I moved all of my data files to the D drive There WinVista Disk Overloaded are not any programs that I can uninstall from the C drive do WinVista Disk Overloaded not WinVista Disk Overloaded want to lose them and they would not free up that much space anyway Up until I recently I could use Windows Disk Clean Up and by removing all files it found plus all but the most recent System Restore file it would typically free up - Gb which would last for a week or more Now however it does not clear up more than Mb and I am doing it daily About the only change being made to the laptop are Windows updates as far as I can tell I have Kaspersky antivirus and run it religiously so I do not believe that I have malware So my question is whether there is a better more powerful tool to clean up my disk and make more space Or do you have any other suggestions as to how I can solve this issue nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/winvista-disk-overloaded.205947/
Relevancy 24.94%

As you can see from the screenshot, somehow I have acquired a partition of unallocated space of approx 195 GB...I want to delete this partition, adding the extra GB to my main, OS:C partition, but I cannot figure out how to do it...Can someone help? Thanks a lot,

Steve in Kansas

A:Deleting Unallocated Space Partition

It is already deleted, that is why you can't.

What you can do is grow your C partition into that space (forget whether it is called merge or grow or expand).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/deleting-unallocated-space-partition.204138/
Relevancy 19.35%

I recently bought a external hard disk of WD (My Passport Ultra) 1TB. It was working fine untill now. Now there is a problem going on. I have used only 656GB of space but it now show that I have only 4GB of storage left. Earlier it was showing 257 GB of space left from 913GB but now it shows the above. I can't understand what is the problem. If anybody could guide me it would an immense help. Thank you.

Bodhiswattwa Tewari
[email address removed]

A:Problem With My Passport Ultra external hard disk by WD

Maybe @jobeard could help here. What OS are you running? OS X or Windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-my-passport-ultra-external-hard-disk-by-wd.204228/
Relevancy 19.35%

Tried just about everything but I still can't seem to get my external hard drive to show up in my disk management or computer. It say it's installed and ready to use but I don't see it.. only in the device manager and in devices and printers I can see it.. but nowhere else.. I'm working with windows 7 upgraded from windows xp but has be downgraded which was originally windows vista I think.. A friend gave me a computer and I had it upgraded.. can any one help me get my computer and external hard drive straight. Thanks.

A:Don't see my external hard drive in disk management or on computer

Check this thread out: http://goo.gl/rxkBN

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dont-see-my-external-hard-drive-in-disk-management-or-on-computer.203836/
Relevancy 19.35%

The Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive I'm using is from my old laptop it has 4 disks.
After I put it in the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclosure, and connect it to my new laptop it does not show up in 'My Cumputer' and 'Disk Management', but displays in the 'device and printer' section of control pannel.
I also can't eject the hard drive, even when I'm not doing anything to it, the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclusre's blue signal light just keeps flashing for a while then goes off for a sec, then resume flashing again.
My laptop also keeps trying to install the hard drive.

I tried reinstall the hard drive's driver, but that did not solve the problem.

Please Help.

A:External Hard drive not showing up in 'My Computer', and 'Disk Management'

Have you tried using different drive enclosure other than the IT-CEO IT-700?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-and-disk-management.201875/
Relevancy 19.78%

Please help my segate external hard disk 500 gb not working all of the solutions are not working please any solution but not that solution of computer manage please help and replay fast

windows 7 (64)

A:Seagate external hard disk

Man... that sucks. If ALL solutions are not working you are screwed.

Please read the link in my signature and try again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-external-hard-disk.203299/
Relevancy 24.94%

After updating the Windows XP to Windows 7, my computer becomes really slow and recently often receives a low disk space message. And there is only 3GB of free space left on my system partition. So, I think it is the time to extend my system partition space. But, I am not so familiar about the partition expanding things and don?t know what to do. Do you have any idea for me? Please, give me some suggestions! Thanks!

A:Computer partition space problem

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management, so we can better understand what you are dealing with?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-partition-space-problem.203271/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a Western Death Disk Hard After Click of Digital Gig Drive which experienced the Click Of Death Hard Disk After Click of Death while accessing the drive It took out the last gig of the drive The first half on Check Disk works perfectly But when check disk attempted to go through the section where the COD hit it jammed the program and stopped saying it wasn t able to repair the area The drive was used for music storage in an automation system I partitioned the damaged area off so it cannot be used or accessed When the drive was connected to the last system I had it in the system s SMART said to quot back up all data that failure was eminent quot After partitioning off the ripped up area of the platters is it possible to use this drive as a slave only I may be coming off sounding like a mad scientist with this thought But if it s possible at all to continue using this drive I d love to use it for storage only No OS and keep the partitioned area marked off so it s no longer accessed what so ever I m I barking up the wrong tree with this thing or is it still able to work All data which was on it before the damaged area was saved easily The good section still works and saves data without issue Just curious about this If it works I ll use it if not I ll replace it and use it for a paperweight nbsp

A:Hard Disk After Click of Death

Ray G said:

I partitioned the damaged area off so it cannot be used or accessed. When the drive was connected to the last system I had it in, the system's SMART said to "back up all data that failure was eminent".Click to expand...

My experience with drives has been exactly as the Smart warning. Once the drive starts to fail, it will not stop deteriorating. I would say the drive is history and should not be trusted further, not even as a slave.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-after-click-of-death.202992/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello all,

I've recently bought a HP Pavilion 15-n252sq laptop, with Free Dos - unfortunately I can't install Windows 7 over it, due to the following error I keep receiveing in the Installation screen:

"Select the driver to be installed" - and regardless of the paths I have and the available folders, I can not seem to proceed wtih the W7 installation.

Please notice that, I've tried to use both a W7 DVD and also a bootable USB drive (and yes, connected in the USB 2.0 port and not USB 3.0 ) - but I always get to the same point where I have to select drivers.

Please also notice that the BIOS doesn't allow me to make any modifications except for some minor ones (like select boot priority, or enable USB 3.0), as the rest of the MAIN features are greyed out .

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

Regards,
Adrian

A:HP Pavilion 15-n252sq - Can not install Windows over Free Dos

You may have to use a program Like KillDisk to reformat the drive. Then try installing your Win 7 DVD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-15-n252sq-can-not-install-windows-over-free-dos.202523/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi All,

I have WD 1 TB passport, and all its operations are very very slow.
I cant use it at all. I have all the important documents in it.
Please someone help me out here.

Regards,
Sanoop.

A:WD hard disk all operations very slow

The only thing I can really recommend is to defragment the external HDD using a program such as Defraggler.

If that doesnt help, you may have a virus on the HDD, in that case, I would recommend posting in the malware forums.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-hard-disk-all-operations-very-slow.201315/
Relevancy 17.2%

Yesterday, I started a download and kept the pc on with my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External HDD 1TB plugged in. After I woke up I realized that there was a power cut and the computer went off unexpectadly (I had no UPS or any backup system).And, I found that my Ext HDD was not seen in my computer anymore (It was working perfectly until before I went to bed).
In device manager, under 'Disks' it shows 'GoFlex Hard Disk', but in BIOS or Disk Manager there is no sign of this HDD.

I really need the data in the HDD badly. Please help me recover it.
P.S. I read somewhere that keeping the HDD in freezer might help and give a little more time. Is that true? Worth the risk?

A:External HDD gets detected in Device Manager but not Disk Manager or seen in 'My Computer'

Power outage probably killed something in the enclosure or its PSU. The drive in the enclosure is probably fine. I would remove the drive from the enclosure and put it in a dock or install it in a desktop computer before considering freezing it. Freezing is usually reserved for click of death drives, and a last ditch effort.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-gets-detected-in-device-manager-but-not-disk-manager-or-seen-in-my-computer.201343/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hey Guys. I would like to upgrade my computer. I've got a 40 GB HDD right now. Is it possible to add another 80 GB HDD to my computer? If so, how? Could I use both the HDDs?

Another question. I've got 512 MB RAM right now. And they are of PC2700 type. Is it possible to remove them and add PC3200 type RAM? And while inserting RAM, is it true that we should put it in sets of two? I mean if I want 1 GB RAM, could I put 2x 256 MB and one 512MB or should I put only 4x 256 MB?

Thanks
Amal

A:How to add new hard disk and RAM?

A general rule of thumb but not an absolute is, you can put in better RAM. RAM will simply down-clock to the highest settings the motherboard supports. But like I said though, it is not an absolute, as you can still find incompatible RAM.

amalsk said:

Hey Guys. I would like to upgrade my computer. I've got a 40 GB HDD right now. Is it possible to add another 80 GB HDD to my computer? If so, how? Could I use both the HDDs?Click to expand...

Before we can answer with a direct answer, we need to know if you are working with IDE and/or SATA ports. I'm certain your machine is IDE, but I'm not certain it has free IDE and/or SATA ports. Short answer is yes you can, it all depends on the availability of port and finding a drive that will connect.

amalsk said:

Another question. I've got 512 MB RAM right now. And they are of PC2700 type. Is it possible to remove them and add PC3200 type RAM? And while inserting RAM, is it true that we should put it in sets of two? I mean if I want 1 GB RAM, could I put 2x 256 MB and one 512MB or should I put only 4x 256 MB?Click to expand...

Your machine likely doesn't support Dual Channel Mode. I'm almost positive DDR memory doesn't support Dual Channel, but I'm not going to swear to it. If that is the case then it wouldn't really matter as long as the RAM is compatible with your system. The best way is to stay with RAM you know is compatible or is recommended for your board. Dual Channel though is the main reason, you would want matched RAM modules. With all that said, I personally always like keeping the same speed modules regardless of whether they needed to be matched.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-add-new-hard-disk-and-ram.201047/
Relevancy 19.35%

My partner's laptop HP 0700 Notebook will not boot up and just comes up with the above message. We found an HP troubleshooting site which said to reset the BIOS default settings by pressing the Escp key, F10 followed by F9 to reset. Then it said to press the F2 System Diagnostics keys which tested the hard disk and all the tests came out OK. When we tried to restart it, it came up with the same message and we have noticed that before it comes up with this message it says in the bottom left-hand corner "Prepare boot to OS" and then comes up with the message in the heading. We have not bootable disk as the laptop already had everything installed.

Coupled with this my partner's virus protection is coming up with "Threat detected" every minute on practically every site my partner visits on the Internet. You will appreciate that we cannot run any virus checks as we cannot get into the computer.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Compused

A:No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

Any luck with this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-bootable-device-insert-boot-disk-and-press-any-key.201065/
Relevancy 25.37%

So I was starting my laptop when suddenly I found this error :

(BIOS Date:06/08/09 16:37:07 Ver: 1.40
CPU: Inter(R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 2.00GHz

Speed : 2.00 GHz

Initializing USB Controllers .. Done
4096MB OK

Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 1..IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting AHCI Port 4.. ATAPI CDROM
SATA Port1 TOSHIBA MK4055GSX FG011M

S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Statues OK

SATA Port4 HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU10N Devices...

00USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Checking NVRAM....

Not enough space in Runtime area!!. SMBIOS data will not be available

Press F1 to Resume )

I pressed F1 but it didn't resume. I waiting for that NVRAM check but its not getting any results and there's no loading bar to show me the process.
So cannot use my laptop now...

Any idea how to fix it ?

PS. it hard-boot last time I used it because it was out of battery but I didnt install any programs or software..
And I cannot open the Bios setting menu to edit anything

A:Not enough space in runtime area

The bios CMOS battery on the motherboard may have died...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-enough-space-in-runtime-area.200279/
Relevancy 19.35%

I've been having this problem for a few months now. I recently built my own computer, having been on a lap top for a couple of years, and found my old external hard drive. I plugged it in to the new computer, and it said something about needing to be formatted, which I promptly did due to nothing of importance being on it. I went to sleep, and woke up to see that it couldn't be formatted.

This is where my issue begins. It no longer appears in Computer, or Disk Management. Disk Management won't even load if I have the drive plugged in. There seems to be no way at all to format the drive, since Computer, and Disk Management both don't load when the drive is plugged in. Any help?

A:External Hard Drive is Not Recognized in Computer or Disk Management

I have a similar problem. I have an old external hard drive and it wont showed up or open under my computer or disk management. I tried to open it under disk management but there is no way to be found. The files F, G, H, etc are empty. I really appreciate an extra help here since I am not a computer expert. Thank you!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-is-not-recognized-in-computer-or-disk-management.191966/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi All,

I have made a new rig and wanted to transfer the video/music from old IDE hard drive.

I have tried two IDE to USB convertors and when I try to access my old hard driver from My Computer I receive the error "Format Disk"

I have restarted my PC and now it doesn't even detect it!

A:Format Disk Error with IDE to USB Converter

Sounds like the partition table is messed up on the IDE hdd. The data is still there, but windows just cannot figure out how to "read" that drive. More than likely you'll need a 3rd party application to view the data on the drive and copy it accordingly. I use UFS explorer in the shop to recover data from customers' hdds http://www.ufsexplorer.com/download_std.php There are many other 3rd party data recovery programs/application out there, just google it & I'm sure you'll find one that fits your needs.

Post back, Hope this helps!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/format-disk-error-with-ide-to-usb-converter.198116/
Relevancy 17.2%

I have an external hard disk of Samsung 650GB which got damaged when I was transferring some files to my pc through it. Now when I connect to any PC or Laptop it shows the safely remove icon but there is no letter assigned to it and also doesn't show up in My Computer though it can be seen in Disk Management.

I tried Mini Tool Partition Wizard but when I create a new partition it stops at 90%. I tried wiping out the partition but to no avail.

Is there any solution for it??? Please help.

A:Creating A New Partition Or Wiping A Partition On External Hard Disk Stuck

I would check the manufacturers site for a windows utility to low level format it. If you cannot find a utility to do that on manufacturer's site, then try this: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/ to wipe the drive. WARNING!! this will destroy all data on the selected hard drive!! be very careful when selecting a drive to wipe that you don't inadvertently select the wrong disk. After a low level format, unplug the drive, plug back in, windows should detect as a new, virgin, drive and it'll prompt you to format it. Format it and hopefully everything will be fine from here on out for you.

Post back, Hope this helps!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/creating-a-new-partition-or-wiping-a-partition-on-external-hard-disk-stuck.198811/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a 4 bay Synology NAS that I need to setup. I plan to use the Synology Hybrid RAID option and need to decide if I want 1 or 2 disk redundancy upfront since you cannot convert between the two once you start. I know RAID does not serve the function of a backup so if this is for simple hardware failure protection what advice do you have? I plan to use the WD RED series of drives and my experience with WD over twenty years and about 6 home built PCs has been very good so I am leaning towards 1 drive redundancy unless someone can give me a good reason to go with two.

A:Hybrid RAID, 1 or 2 disk redundant

Just to be clear, your asking about one array Raid 1 (with two disks in it) versus two arrays of Raid 1 with two disks each.
Attempting "1 drive redundancy" with only one physical hd is illogical and invalid.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hybrid-raid-1-or-2-disk-redundant.198554/
Relevancy 19.78%

I bought a hard disk around 3 months ago. While watching a video today, it stopped working. It is not neing shown in My Computer or in Disk Management. But it appears in Devices and Printers.
Please help as there was some important stuff in it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-not-being-detected.198069/
Relevancy 45.58%

I was trying to make my girlfriend happy with using some photos and videos to create a DVD or something similar. My computer kept getting a message telling me that my disk space was not enough.. Something went wrong or just because I have downloaded too much things? Or something else?

A:Out of disk space

Click to have a look about your computer disk using space. Delete and try an external hardrive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/out-of-disk-space.197801/
Relevancy 19.35%

I have a western digital 1 tb hard disk. which was working fine few hours ago.
but now when I am connecting it it is not showing in my computer.
I am using a windows 7 X64 machine.
I have tried every thing.
when I uninstall the driver from device manager and connect it again, windows tries to
install the driver but fails every time.

I have lot of important data on the drive
Plzzzz Helppp

Relevancy 19.35%

Hi Guys,

Need some help on these matter which my external hard disk is not detectable on My Computer. When I plug in, the LED shows its on and can hear disk spinning but slow.
It is a Samsung HDD 160GB.I have tried the drive management but there is no detection of the hard disk. Can help me on this??

A:Exernal Hard disk not detectable on My Computer

Go to device manager and take a screenshot of it please. We need to find the device and uninstall the driver, but we will proceed with that shortly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/exernal-hard-disk-not-detectable-on-my-computer.195979/
Relevancy 19.78%

So I have a inch mac mid Its a Mac OS X Lion So I bought this hard disk Samsung gb ST a year or two ago and then did the correct formatting so it could run on the mac This summer I took it off my mac for about a month and now I felt like listening to Wilko s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and realized it was on the hard disk so I put it back on and now its not showing up It was fine before I tried going in disk utilities and it shows up there so I verified it and although it didn t notify me for any repairments I still clicked on working on stopped Hard disk mac My repair and it didn t help Theres a lot more info there then just that album a whole lot of great movies tv shows and a big library of great music that I was looking forward to get back into as well as a couple programs also plug ins for my My Hard disk stopped working on mac ableton so now I cant open up my projects either So I really don t wanna format it Any help will be greatly appreciated theres a lot of info on this hard disk nbsp

A:My Hard disk stopped working on mac

In Disk Utility, does the disk show a partition? If so, highlight that partition, and then in the bottom left of that window there will be a blue clickable 'link'. Click that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hard-disk-stopped-working-on-mac.195829/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi I am wondering if anyone has Drill After using Error Hard Drive Disk had the same happening to them or even better if anyone knows how to save my hard drive The external HDD is an month old Western Digital hard drive TB was working perfectly fine before this incident I had some jpg files that I accidentally deleted from my ext HDD so I used disk drill in order to try to recover the files disk drill estimated the process to app hours and during this time I could hear the hard drive making some noises usually it is very quiet When the process was done I saved the recovered images to my mac hard drive and saved the session All seemed fine so I dismounted the WD HDD the image disappeared but when I unplugged the Hard Drive Error After using Disk Drill USB an error message showed up saying I hadn t disconnected it properly Now when I try to connect the WD HDD it makes heaps of noises and clicking sounds and it doesn t show up as a device on mac I tried to open the saved session when WD HDD was connected but a message that I needed to connect the device showed up in disk drill I restarted mac plugged in the HDD and opened disk drill once again and now I Hard Drive Error After using Disk Drill get this message quot Dead disk detected The disk quot WD My Passport Media quot seems to be non-responsive dead Unfortunately you won t be able to recover any data from it without hardware intrusion As a quick recommendation please try to reconnect it to your Mac quot I am devastated everything was working Hard Drive Error After using Disk Drill fine previously I just wanted to recover jpg images and instead I lost everything on my HDD that contained a lot of really important data Please please help me solve this nbsp

A:Hard Drive Error After using Disk Drill

I only use WD drives here. WD Passports sometimes they don't work. What I do is this.
Place one in a ziplock bag and stick it into the freezer for 3 hrs or longer.
Thaw-it or use-it while it comes to life while you connect to a USB source like a PC
Most of the time the Passport will continue to work again. It all depends on the condition of it.

Clicking or clunking means the HDD is going bad.
In the pass others would say to use a screw driver handle and hit the drive.
But I always use the freezing method and it works enough to recover the data.
If the HDD is too far gone then nope not going to work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-error-after-using-disk-drill.195888/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi all For the past two weeks my PC was booting up very slowly I have Windows installed on a GB Corsair GT SSD and a Drive Is Dead? My Disk Hard Seagate Barracuda ST AS for Games Media My boot times had increased dramatically from about seconds to seconds I feared it was an issue with the SSD or some bad incomplete Windows update However last night when I booted up my system I found that chkdsk had detected quot inconsistencies quot on the Seagate drive If I skipped chkdsk on boot I was unable to see this drive in Windows I followed similar instructions to THIS and managed to have it back up and running Boot times improved significantly however still not as fast as before My system was functioning fine till today morning In the afternoon when I turned it back on I was unable to see the Seagate drive and its partitions in Windows I shut down the machine and on the next boot went into BIOS I found that the Seagate drive was listed there However on booting back into Windows there was nothing Now on restarting the PC not turning it off completely and going into BIOS I found that the drive was no longer shown I shut down the system and changed the SATA connector and the port Once again it was listed in BIOS but not in Windows On removing the HDD from the system I found that my boot times were back Is My Hard Disk Drive Dead? down to the sec mark So I took the HDD to a friend who plugged it in as a second drive in his machine There was a message stating something in the lines of quot Hard Disk Status Bad quot After this Windows was simply not booting It was stuck on a black screen after the Windows splash screen So I m assuming that the HDD is dead and wondering if there s any way to recover data from it Is My Hard Disk Drive Dead? I d appreciate any pointers in this direction Also as a replacement I was contemplating between the latest Seagate Barracuda ST DM and the Western Digital Caviar Blue WD EZEX Which in your opinion would be Is My Hard Disk Drive Dead? a better option The new Seagate seems to have very fast performance and on the other hand there s only good things to be heard about the reliability and performance of the latest Caviar Blue though not as fast as the Seagate Thanks for reading through nbsp

A:Is My Hard Disk Drive Dead?

Check Windows Disk Management to see if the drive has for some unknown reason been dismounted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-hard-disk-drive-dead.194549/
Relevancy 19.35%

I have a Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop that is a couple of years old. I recently had my Norton protection end and I turned on the Windows Defender, but my computer has been running really slow and acting up. I have been getting a S.M.A.R.T. hard drive error when my computer starts as well. I tried restoring my computer to an earlier setting, but that didn't work. I don't know what to do, and I really could use some help. When I ran an error check on the c hard drive this is what it said: WDC WD32 00BEVT-26A23T0 SATA Disk Device volume: c/. So please if anyone can help me fix this problem or how to fix it that would be great!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wdc-wd32-00bevt-26a23t0-sata-disk-device-volume-c.194628/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hello,

when I am putting my Seagate external hard disk into the USB cable, the drive light turns on as it does normally,the green icon at bottom right in toolbar appears as well, but there is no autoplay and the drive is absent from 'My Computer'.It is appearing in the device manager. Explorer is running very slow. The same thing is happening with the drive in every other cable and in other computers as well.

Please give an insight if you can as to what may have happened and what can be done.

Thank you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-read-but-absent.194540/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi everyone please help...
my Toshiba external hard disc also facing the same problem can not recognize, and once to plug in the message pomp out as below:-
"USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message"
Can someone help in kind please.. thanks all..

A:Toshiba external hard disk

Yeah Reine, my older Passport drive will do that too sometimes cause the data cable is a bit finicky. I'd just unplug the external and power it down. Wait a few, then plug it back up to USB and power it back on. If that dont work, throw in a computer reboot, before u start messing with driver uninstalls and such.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-external-hard-disk.194541/
Relevancy 19.35%

I am having a 650GB Samsung Hard Disk. Once I was transferring files from the hard disk to my PC and lights went out. Now when I connect my hard disk it is not being detected though it shows up in the Disk Management menu. I have tried formatting the HDD but it shows time remaining as 300 hours so I had to stop it midway. Is any other solution available for it...??? Please help...!!!

A:Samsung 650GB External Hard Disk Not Being Detected

If you feel confident enough, Open it up and remove the hard drive from inside the enclosure and fit it directly in to your pc.

This will help determine if the hard drive or enclosure is to blame.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-650gb-external-hard-disk-not-being-detected.194072/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi,today I was installing crysis 2 and decided to do something in the mean time,whenever I clicked a folder or opened a video it hanged and my pc was drastically slow ,and I saw my disk usage was 100%
any solutions?

A:100 % disk usage

You will need a larger drive, unless you can free up storage by moving some of the contents.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/100-disk-usage.193980/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have toshiba Satallite lap, Suddenly one of the two partition (C:, E of internal Disk drive gone. Although (C drive is working successfuly and accept new Windows setup after this problem occured. but E: Drive is not working. it had alot of unique data I can't restore. Please help me....

A:Hard disk gone

Have you tried going into Computer Management and seeing if it shows up as a recognized drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-gone.192439/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi I purchased a seagate tb drive Installed it and using windows bit disc management I was able to see the drive in two partitions - tb and tb They were MBR at 2tb 4tb disk stuck Used a utility called EaseUS Partition Manager I converted the type to GPT It saw tb so I hit the quick format and for some reason it made it a tb partition I could not get back the remaining tb s Seagate s Discwizard previously was also able to see two partitions but now it only sees the tb and says there is nothing else and cannot fix the problem Tried to fix it using Minitool s Partition Wizard Windows Disc Manager doesn t seem to have a tool to address this problem - it only sees one partition at tb s Can t seem to go beyond the tb partition or get the rest of the tb s back in any form that I could see allocated or unallocated or Can someone direct me to a tool or method that could fix this I would ideally like to have one partition for the full tb s Thanks in advance nbsp

A:4tb disk stuck at 2tb

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408

If it is only seeing the 2 TB then it is back to being MBR.
I suggest deleting the entire partition and making sure it is GPT.
If this still does not resolve the issue I would return it as defective and try a new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/4tb-disk-stuck-at-2tb.192122/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hello. I have a couple hard drives that my uncle was using previously, but he was recently hacked and got a really elusive virus on all of them. I have a USB hard disk adapter to connect to the hard drives externally, but if I connect any one of these hard drives to Windows, I risk picking up the virus automatically. I do have Ubuntu, but I am having trouble getting to the information on the other partitions.
How do I prevent Windows from automatically reading and executing infectious programs when I insert removable media?

A:Need to get into hard disk, but risk picking up a virus

Well, go into Windows and set your antivirus to automatically scan external drives. Make sure you turn off the external drive via a power button or just the power plug. Keep the USB in the PC, and then power on the external drive. The antivirus should automatically scan it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-get-into-hard-disk-but-risk-picking-up-a-virus.191699/
Relevancy 17.2%

Guys am new to forum forgive me for my errors

my laptop hard disk is not working on my laptop but work on my pc. when I connect it to lap it jest hang on posting(power on self test) but when I connect it to my pc it works. also when I boot with linux mint cd it shows that hard disk is not good

A:Laptop hard disk is not working on my laptop but work on my pc

The partition is good (assuming you can read data when attached to the PC) but the MBR is corrupted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-hard-disk-is-not-working-on-my-laptop-but-work-on-my-pc.192107/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi,

I have a Western Digital (WD) 250gb external hard drive and run Windows XP on my Asus Eeepc laptop.

One day I pulled my external hard drive straight out of my computer (didn't use "safely remove hardware"). From now on it isnt displayed in my computer, and it doesnt appear in disk management either. When I open device manager and then open my WD SES Device, it tells me the device is working properly. I have tried updating the driver and uninstalling it, but everytime I plug it in reinstalls itself and tells me it is working fine.

I am not a computer guy. I have read other forums and none have a solution for me. Does anybody know how to access my external hard drive? (please write responses in simple language with simple steps I can follow)

Thanks
snowyman

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-displayed-in-my-computer-or-disk-management.191922/
Relevancy 19.35%

My problem is that I have a computer with 1TB internal HDD (C drive) and various programs derive links from corresponding folders in that drive.
Now I wish to run the same programs from my another computer with 500GB HDD (C drive). To accommodate the data I have to attach an ext hard disk with 500 GB to supplemnt the capacity. But the ext hard disk takes the drive letter some E or F and the links for the programs do not work. Is there any way or trick to make the OS virtually recognise or deem the the ext hard disk as part of C drive? .
-Rama Reddy Karri

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-an-external-hard-disk-be-virtually-merged-with-c-drive.191504/
Relevancy 19.35%

I have two disks that my drive won't read. It read all the others just fine, maybe 20 of them I've switched over to an external hard drive. I'm not sure why these two are being difficult. The older one won't even read. The newer one will read but it won't let me view anything or copy it over. It shows me the files but I can't open them. Is there any other way to get these photos off these disks? I've tried my laptop and my desktop which is older. No luck. Does the operating system matter? If I made the disks using an older operating system do I need to find a computer with that same system?? I know I made the newer one using the desktop I currently own. I'm just lost and frustrated, these pictures are important!

A:CD-DVD drive won't read an older photo disk

Hey wildbutterfly. I assume you were able to see and read/view the contents of each DVD disk previously on at least one of your pc's, correct?. Is it a good name brand disk (bought from a reputable dealer since I have seen fake TDK from houseware type stores, or one of the cheaper brands floating around). Try burning a DVD on either system and see if you can read/view it. I think having your prized pics burned to a good quality DVD ( along with an external drive) is the best way to go since any mechanical device can fail. If you were able to read/view these files on DVD before, and can burn and read files now (especially if the disks are the same brand),sounds like the disks might have been damaged in some way.I use a paste like cleaner from 3M for cleaning DVD disks (cleaned from the center straight to the outboard edge).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drive-wont-read-an-older-photo-disk.190440/
Relevancy 25.37%

Guys,I m thinking about to buy a SSD.Can u tell me how much space needed for WIN 7 64bit.pls include ur space advice that it will also have latest update of win+20% space free(which I found various forum that it is needed for run win smoothly).How about 32GB SSD??????
Thankssssssssssss.

A:How much space needed on SSD for Win7 64-bit

Personally, I wouldn't use anything smaller then a 64GB SSD. A 32GB SSD will be good for a cache drive but not a boot drive. I think the 128GB & 256GB drives work best. They give you a lot of room for OS + Core Programs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-much-space-needed-on-ssd-for-win7-64-bit.190326/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a Seagate ST500DM002 using windows 7.
it shows around 150GB free space, when I delete files from it (not to recycle bin), it still shows the same amount of free space, even after restart, any advice?

A:Hard drive won't free up space after deleting files

This is a 500GB drive, right? How is it configured, as a boot or spare drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-wont-free-up-space-after-deleting-files.190258/
Relevancy 38.27%

I want to buy a new motherboard I already bought 8GB of DDR2 ram but im not sure if it will work on ASUS P5Q SE PLUS motherboard I think this has the speed of 667Mhz can anyone please give me some sugestions what motherboard I should buy that supports core2quad processors and that supports 16GB of ram! Cause I wanna upgrade it from time to time! Thanks in advance!

A:Motherboard for Core 2 processors and 16GB of RAM

Well, to answer you're first question, yes, that motherboard supports that type of RAM.

I cannot, however, understand why you would purchase DDR2 ram. You will not be able to find a whole lot of DDR2 compatible motherboards for sale, and even less core 2 processors. I highly recommend you return that RAM, and get current DDR3 RAM along with a current generation Motherboard and CPU.

Give us your budget, and what you will be using this PC for, an we will be able to help you choose the correct components to buy.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-for-core-2-processors-and-16gb-of-ram.190119/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hitachi Hard disk are more cheaper than other brands.so I want know that how is it has good performance.How about other brand.
thanks

A:Which hard disk brand is best? Hitachi?

Need more details for a better answer.

http://www.storagereview.com/ has a lot of information on drives and their performance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-hard-disk-brand-is-best-hitachi.189920/
Relevancy 45.15%

Prob basic stupidity, so bear with a troubled mind! I've been dumped with an Aspire 5020 to get up and running by a mate. Hard drive was fritzed so I got a second hand 80 gig drive and installed it. Went to install XP on the drive, but it would only format to 62%. I decided to partition it, with the operating system on C. Created a partition of 10gig. XP then installed with no problem.

Now I cannot see anything but C drive (10 gig) in My Comp, but if I open Disk Management, C Drive shows in the top section, but the rest of the drive only shows up as 60 gig unallocated space underneath.

Could some very kind person tell me how I can allocate a drive letter/format this unallocated space please?

Many thanks!

A:XP Pro 64: unallocated disk space

In Disk Management, right click on that unallocated space and create new primary partition. That should do it.

Edit for additional thoughts:
Before you do that, I can't remember if XP64 will allow you to expand a partition into unallocated space or not. If it does, I would urge you to consider giving the C partition more than 10 gigs. Sure XP will install and run fine on less, but a few months down the road you'll be running low on free space. Might be safer to give it 20. Or even consider just having the drive 1 big partition... If XP's disk management won't let you expand it, you might make and boot off a gparted disk and expand the partition that way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-pro-64-unallocated-disk-space.189820/
Relevancy 19.78%

Okay this is a bit weird so bare hard A problem? disk with me I ll give you any information you need just tell me what to do I A hard disk problem? m a A hard disk problem? computer technician with some experience but I never had this problem before Let s say I am not working on the computer but sitting next to it and watching tv suddenly I hear my I assume hard disk stops working as if the power cable of it was taken out while it was working Not too much noise but it can be heard if listened carefully Then when I try to access something on the computer like the windows calculator it will not come up fast like it usually should it will almost freeze my computer by thinking processing and you can hear the hard disk starts to work again just like you hear it when you turn on the computer from being shut Some things doesn t trigger that though but until I reach the things that do trigger the hard disk to work again it will remain in a quot sleep quot mode I can still access the hard disk from the computer and open it with it quot sleeps quot but of course entering it while it quot sleeps quot will cause my computer to nearly freeze and start the hard disk which is annoying at times Now I have other hard disks inside that computer which are much older than the one that I assume causes the problem But they are working fine I ran a bootable software which is called quot MHDD quot to test all my hard disks one by one and they all were just fine No warnings no errors what so ever My system includes PSU W Seasonic Graphic Card Radeon HD Motherboard Intel BLKDP WB Whitesburg Processor Intel Core i - Memory x G Skill DDR GB Mhz CL - - - NT and x GB Kingston Hard disk Two of Western Digital gb and the one I suspect to be the problem TB of Seasonic nbsp

A:A hard disk problem?

Check the Power Saving features in the Control Panel.

Normally, we kick in the screen saver ~10 minutes
Then hibernate the system after X - - depending upon if you access video/music on that system from elsewhere,
eg another system on the LAN or via your HDTV.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-hard-disk-problem.188389/
Relevancy 19.35%

Good day everyone.

I have 500gb Buffalo HD and the problem is that when I plug it in my laptop it makes a clicking noise then after a while the noise stop. And also it does not appear in Computer,it was only appearing in the control panel. I tried disk management and other software to retrieve and solve this but it doesnt work. Can I still recover my file without going to retrieval company? can I still save my hard disk and use it again? thanks

A:Buffalo external hard disk problem

Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like you are hosed. Suppose you could try the freezer trick, although I've never seen it work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buffalo-external-hard-disk-problem.187309/
Relevancy 25.37%

windows 7 is taking up a load of space on my ssd 60 gb and its close to full now even with all 3rd party software on a different drive, I was thinking of deleting language packs and possibly amd drivers which come stock, any tips or advice on how I would go about doing this. I have already uninstalled windows media center and internet explorer as I dont use them anyways

A:Save space on SSD

Honestly, I would say get a bigger drive. 60GB isn't really enough for windows and core programs. You can uninstall all you want. Eventually you will run into the same problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/save-space-on-ssd.181792/
Relevancy 25.37%

I am going to purchase this customized PC soon.

Intel Core i3 2120 3.30GHz
Kingston 4GB DDR3 RAM
HIS HD 6750 1GB DDR3
Cooler Master ELITE 370 Casing

Will it be able to run Skyrim? If so, on what detail? keep in mind for 1280x1024 resolution.
And How will it function on higher resolutions?

Will it be able to run Space Marine? Same questions as above.
Will it be able to run GTA4? Same questions as above.

Thanks.

A:Will this PC run Skyrim and Space Marine?

Will it be able to run Skyrim? If so, on what detail? keep in mind for 1280x1024 resolution.
And How will it function on higher resolutions?Click to expand...

Check out this benchmark of Skyrim,
http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance/page7.html
It has the HD 6750 included- At 1920/1200 the game performance drops just below playable FPS. So I am sure it is safe to say it will run Skyrim.

Will it be able to run Space Marine? Same questions as above.
Will it be able to run GTA4? Same questions as above. Click to expand...

As for Space Marine and GTA4. I am sure you would get away with altleast medium - high settings with playable FPS in both games.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-this-pc-run-skyrim-and-space-marine.186762/
Relevancy 19.35%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-shows-as-local-disk-f-it-cannot-be-accessed.186348/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi
I hope someone could help me with this...when I connect my Blackberry to my computer this shows up "there is no disk in the drive. please insert a disk into drive device harddisk1 dr22" and sometimes it deletes everything thats in my phone...
I hope you have any ideas and thanks in advance : )

A:There is no disk in the drive, please insert a disk into drive device harddisk1 dr22

You might need to install a new micro-SDHC flash card into your phone

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/there-is-no-disk-in-the-drive-please-insert-a-disk-into-drive-device-harddisk1-dr22.186011/
Relevancy 55.9%

Running vista home premium -bit with GB on readings erroneous HDD space/free Used space HDD When I open quot Computer quot it shows graphically and numerically the used and free space on my drives C - normally shows GB free of GB D - Factory image - GB free of GB K - HP Pocket media drive GB free of GB The problem I am having applies only to C with the others remaining unchanged The graphical representation of free used space is in Used space/free space on HDD erroneous readings blue and white normally Here is the problem The last couple of weeks when I open quot Computer quot I sometimes get C - GB free of GB and the graphical representation is in red not blue I got an error message the other day that I did not have free space to do what I wanted to do When I checked free space it was showing in red free space of GB instead of the normal plus GB As soon as I reboot the free space is shown as the correct amount - plus GB Anyone know what is going on and how I correct it nbsp

A:Used space/free space on HDD erroneous readings

I would cleanup like this

on your normal login

get a cmd prompt and enter cleanmgr

do it again using an admin login

Then verify the free vs total space

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/used-space-free-space-on-hdd-erroneous-readings.186155/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have a problem regarding my external Toshiba hard disk 500 GB where it can?t be detected in my computer and also disk management. I have formatted the external HD since I was asked to format it when an error popped up.
So I formatted it and after the formatting completed, I tried to connect the hard disk to my Windows Win 7 laptop. When I connect it to the laptop, it can?t be detected and yet the hard disk is blinking with its white light like it used to when it is connected to the laptop. I tried the disk management thingy, but it can?t detect my hard disk. I tried in other laptops but the result is same
What can I do to make it better? Please help me.

A:External hard disk not detected in My Computer and in Disk Management

First off, how old is your Toshiba external HDD? Also, when it starts to spin up, do you hear any sort of clicking or whining noise?

If you hear any noises that sound off, it's possible your external HDD is failing.

When you formatted it, what file system did you use to do so? Because sometimes even if Windows can't detect it, I have had success with booting with a Ubuntu Live CD, and then connecting the external HDD in order to format it that way. It all has to do with how Windows formats HDD's and how Ubuntu and other Linux systems do.

If you can I recommend downloading Ubuntu onto a CD and boot to it on one of your computers, in the Live CD mode, so it doesn't install anything. Once its loaded, plug in the Toshiba and try to format it as NTFS (this is important, because Ubuntu doesn't use it as a native file system, so you need to make sure that NTFS is selected on the format window, not EXT4 or the other types of Linux OS File Systems)

If it doesn't work, post back here, and I will see if I can help you some more. Also feel free to PM me if you have any other issues.

Regards,
-Alex

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-not-detected-in-my-computer-and-in-disk-management.185432/
Relevancy 39.13%

Just wondering if it is possible to run 16GB (2x8GB) RAM on an old motherboard which specifies max 2x4GB RAM. I understand that sometimes they are reluctant to officially support more RAM that's available in the market at the time of release and just hoping that it is possible to fit in more.

Has anyone tried putting in more RAM than the motherboard has recommended?

I am not willing to buy new sticks of RAM, try it and find that it doesn't work. Unfortunately I do not have another computer that has/want that much RAM...

A:DFI MiP55-t36 16GB RAM?

After doing more digging I come to the conclusion it's probably not possible without A LOT of work and investment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dfi-mip55-t36-16gb-ram.184439/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi there I own an Alesis Multimix Firewire which I use to record music on my PC I connect this to my Computer via can (Code 12) use that free This enough it cannot device resources find VIA PCI IEEE Adapter Firewire Everything s been fine up until now it seems my computer won t recognize when the firewire cable is connected to the computer So I flipped open the motherboard and made sure the adapter was connected into the slot properly as sometimes it can slide out a bit since it is at a weird angle when the PC sits upright I rebooted again and it said that the Firewire adapter had been detected Tried connecting the Alesis and still nothing Went into System and Device Manager and under the IEEE Bus host controller tab it shows OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller with a highlighted exclamation mark over it I click into the properties of this and it says under This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12) the General Tab This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use Code If you want to use this device you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system More specifically under the This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12) Details Tab it says this PCI VEN amp DEV This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12) amp SUBSYS amp REV amp DC A amp amp Not sure entirely what this means I googled it and a lot of ppl saying to try and update the drivers etc but I don t think that this will do any good as the last driver was back in and I don t think any new drivers have been made since Looking for a logical answer to this one Any help would be greatly appreciated Attached a DXdiag file below too Thanks nbsp

A:This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12)

Looks like the motherboard's USB channels or chipset needs to be updated or re-installed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/this-device-cannot-find-enough-free-resources-that-it-can-use-code-12.180628/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi,

My Win Vista machine seems to add or delete up to 1Gb of data on a daily basis. I have two 50G hard drives and it is the C: drive (the main one for the PC) that is displaying this activity. I basically use the PC to check personal emails and little else, so I am surprised by the disk memory changes each day. Is there a way for me to see what files are changing or being added or deleted from the disk on a daily basis? I tried to see this with Windows Explorer, but it does not show any large files with recent edit dates. So, I am thinking that there must be a better way.

Thanks for your help with this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-usage.182462/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a hard disk that I want to clone my C drive to, and I connected it via USB external; it showed up fine, I formatted it. However, since XP doesn't recognize boot drives through USB I wanted to attach it internally before I cloned my system drive over for when I do a boot test.

However, the drive that showed up just fine through USB isn't showing up when I plug it into the MB. It is recognized and is powering up, because when the system posts, the initial screen shows it is connected, and it gets warm after a few minutes, so it's working and the system can detect it, it is just not showing up in Windows.

I checked, and it's set to Slave.

What's the problem?

A:Hard disk not recognized?

When you say windows doesn't see it, do you just mean it does not show up in My Computer or does it not show up in Disk Management either?

If it is just My Computer that you have checked, this could be because it is not formatted, or not formatted properly, or has no Drive Letter assigned to it.

To check Disk Management, go to Start > right click my computer > Manage. In the left hand side go to Disk Management. See if the hard drive shows up in there.

If it is there, but has no drive letter, right click it and assign one, or just do another quick format since it has already been formatted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-not-recognized.181891/
Relevancy 19.35%

I want to change the drive letter of my memory card, which shows up and is usable from My Computer but is not listed on disk management. I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a dell vostro 1400. Is there any reason for this? The card is a Canon SD Memory Card SDC-16M

A:Disk management does not list my 16MB memory card

Put in a memory card that the computer DOES see in disk management, change the drive letter, then put in other card & see if the computer can see it then. I really don't think changing drive letters is going to allow you to see a memory card, most likely it's dead, but it's worth a shot. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-management-does-not-list-my-16mb-memory-card.181510/
Relevancy 19.35%

when i plug in my memory stick and do a search on it it say please insert the last disk of the multi-volume set and click ok whats gone wrong please

A:Memory stick -- insert last disk of multi-volume set?

it could be that the zip file is part of a lot more files. they are usually broken up into smaller parts to upload, and you need all of them to decompress the file.

or the file didnt completly transfer onto the USB drive, or has become currupted/damaged.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-stick-insert-last-disk-of-multi-volume-set.180363/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi. I have a 1TB Western Digital hard drive. A few days ago a friend of mine plugged in his laptop and it was working but suddenly it froze and now my desktop or laptop will pick up my hard drive. Its worked completely fine in the past. i tried checking disk management but it isn't there either. The light on my hard drive comes on when its plugged in but the computer doesn't show it. Help Please?!

A:Windows not picking up my hard drive (not even in disk management)

Do you hear the drive spinning? Any noticeable ticking sounds?

I'm assuming based on your post that this is an external drive, if you take the drive to just about any service shop, they should be able to pop it out of the enclosure and into a sled to check the possibility that the enclosure itself is having problems. If that's not the case, I'd probably label it a bad drive. Happens a lot, head to western digital's website with the number of the drive to check your warranty status.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-not-picking-up-my-hard-drive-not-even-in-disk-management.179681/
Relevancy 18.92%

Hello, i am using a seagate 1TB harddisk. When i connect it to usb port in front panel of my CPU, the computer is not detecting it.

But When i connect it to usb port in back panel of my cpu, It works fine. My system detects the hard disk and and everything is fine. How to correct this strange problem

Note : my Pen drive and other USB things works fine in all the ports in both front panel and back panel.
Please help me.each and Every time when i want to connect my hard disk, I have to take my CPU out from its shelf and connect it in the back usb port. Its tideous for me.

A:Seagate external hard disk not detected in front panel USB port

Well not exactly knowing what type of a computer we are talking about here, I can only say, that what your are reporting is completely normal. Most computers I've ever touched have passive styled USB ports on the front of the computer, and aggressive USB ports off the back that can handle just about anything you can hook up to it.

So stop trying to connect that external hard drive off the front, not enough power and not enough data exchange rates. I would recommend that if you have all your USB ports off the back of the computer taken, I would start thinking seriously about an "amplified" 4 port USB HUB. Remember the HUB your looking for has it's own power source, and does not relying on the computer at all for it's power.

The following one is a good one, a friend of mine got her's about a month ago and has not yet reported any problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...+-+Network+/+USB+/+Firewire-_-Syba-_-17801083

Hope this all helps....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-external-hard-disk-not-detected-in-front-panel-usb-port.178676/
Relevancy 19.78%

I recently finished building a low budget gaming rig, after installing windows 7, the drivers for my hardware, doing updates...etc, my bios warned me that my hard drive's status is "BAD", I skipped this warning and booted into windows where I was informed that my hard drive could fail soon and I should back up. I should mention that I formerly used this drive in an external enclosure for almost two years before using it in my rig.

I backed up and ran crystal clear disk info (see results attached). What should my next course of action be? Could I have done something wrong in the building process to cause this?

A:Imminent disk failure?

The disk is going bad, to put it in simple terms.

It could continue for a while longer, but I would consider replacing it.

There might be an option that could repair the damage (I think), but I'm sure someone else will say if there is.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/imminent-disk-failure.177517/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi,

Restored laptop (Acer Aspire 5735, OS Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit) to factory settings a few months ago and noticed that there was a lot of space being used up on C: drive even though I hadn't started installing programs and putting files back on to laptop.

Used SpaceSniffer to see where all the space was being used up and it only found the C: drive to have size of 38.1GB even though it should have 69.6GB. Also ran WinDirStat and that also said C: drive had size 38.1GB.

Any suggestions on why there seems to be 31.5GB missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks!

A:Missing hard drive space after restoring laptop to factory settings

"it should have 69.6GB"...
Is the drive 80GB unformatted? Did you format the drive when starting the restore? This is known as a "destructive" restore. If you didn't, it is possible that the old Vista files are still on the drive, along with the new files, taking up the space

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-hard-drive-space-after-restoring-laptop-to-factory-settings.175311/
Relevancy 37.84%

Im being offered a Blackberry Play Book 16Gb for 80. The reviews seem ok. Im just wondering if anybody has an opinion on this Tablet?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/blackberry-playbook-16gb-for-%C2%A380-good-deal.175913/
Relevancy 16.34%

Ok. So I was installing Ubuntu (11.10) on my laptop which had 4 partitions, one of which was my general Media/Files partition. While it was resizing in Gparted, computer froze and of course now its all jacked up upon restart. Gparted (in Live CD) tells me to run chkdsk /f and reboot twice.

After trying Testdisk and finally find a XP disk, get it to work and enter recovery console. There is no /f option but aparently /r implies /f. I run chkdsk /r and i simply get back the message:

"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

Please tell me there is something I can do to. I have an external here that I am borrowing, at the very least I would like to get my files on it and just format the drive and start over.

HELP!

A:The specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in the drive

mblack3nd said:

Please tell me there is something I can do to. I have an external here that I am borrowing, at the very least I would like to get my files on it and just format the drive and start over.Click to expand...

Seems like you answered your own question. Slave the drive (jumper settings should be on the drive) and pull off what you need...Files, Drivers, Photos, etc...
Format....Install Windows...update drivers. Im also assuming you have a working computer that you can attach the slave drive to and that you have some knowledge in this area. If you need more detailed help I will need more specific questions. If you haven't reformatted your drive in some time you will also notice increased performance boost (bonus!).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-specified-drive-is-not-valid-or-there-is-no-disk-in-the-drive.175792/
Relevancy 19.35%

My DELL XPS L x laptop was equipped with Samsung Spinpoint MP HM JJ GB rpm hard disk Last month due to noise and auto shut down i gave my system to dell service center for repair but took out my hard disk as it was containing quot sensitive quot data and i don t want to take any risk Also i needed it for my dissertation as detected USB either inside not hard at or disk internal is Laptop my all data was on it In the mean time i bought another Seagate Momentus GB rpm drive as the xps has space for one more hard disk i put the samsung hard disk in usb case which need both side Laptop internal hard disk is not detected either inside or at USB male usb connector i was having an old connector which i tried to use but i can hear a little sound and it is not detected by my home desktop so i got a new usb connector and it was easily detected and i used as usual usb external storage when my laptop was fixed i took back the samsung drive along with the new one to service center and when they tried to place both drive the system didn t responded at all after some tries they announced the samsung drive which was originally shipped with laptop has gone bad and is unable to detect so i asked them to only fix newly bought drive in the system and make it workable by installing OS Now the issue is that my samsung drive can t be detected anywhere neither in laptop nor in my home office desktop though i was able to use it as external storage before but it suddenly stop working leaving me nowhere i have lot of important data on it and i want to recover it myself other choice is that at least i have do low level format so that i make that data unrecoverable by all means and than i claim a new drive in warranty as they offered me free replacement coz my system is still under warranty What i have tried till now Attached it as internal storage in laptop - no reaction rather laptop halt in BIOS and no further activity Attached as external storage - for the first time windows try to detect and install driver for it but fails later no action if tried to connect with either desktop i tried on many desktops Symptoms while attaching with any system as external storage the blue led of box turn on for a while but later it turn off as there is nothing attached and actually there is NO hardware activity as spinning or any sound the hard drive is totally silent What i feel is that there may be problem with its circuitry as in the beginning when i tried to attached it by using old usb cable it may done some damage in PCB but i am not sure Can anyone suggest as what should i do the major issue is to protect the data inside It would be helpful if i can recover it as it is very important for me but in case i can t recover can i destroy that data so that i claim warranty i have less time left for it please give any advice thanks for reading nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-internal-hard-disk-is-not-detected-either-inside-or-at-usb.175558/
Relevancy 19.35%

when I start my Dell laptop Inspiron 1720, I get an error "Disk read error, press ctrl+alt+del to restart".
I tried formatting the harddisk using Windows 7 installation disk but am unable to do it.
Kindly reply as soon as possible.

A:Disk read error press ctrl+alt+del to restart

Sounds like you have a dead Hard Drive, you'll need to replace it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-read-error-press-ctrl-alt-del-to-restart.175421/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi my problem is literally every harddisk i use eventually comes to a failure It started before some time when i bought ASUS laptop dont remember exactly which but it started i think it started with N it had a Samsung HDD i think After few moths there was an issue with hard disk so i sent the laptop to the service and they changed the hard disk Everything was fine then but after some months it happen again Same solution - changed hard disk When it hard disk failure Repeating happened for Repeating hard disk failure third time i was really furious because i thought it is laptops fault so i ask to refund the laptop back With Repeating hard disk failure the money i bought parts and made my own PC was a year ago It is working fine till today when HDD started to make strange noises randomly making noise like when under high activity sometimes it makes click sound - same it makes when i shut down computer and also random drops in its speed sometimes resulting in OS freezing for secs and a there is also SMART notice in the POST I know that best solution is to backup and send for exchange as it is under warranty yet but i think that it cannot be coincidence and i must be doing something wrong Few things i can think of is temperature that might have been the problem in the laptop but i dont think it is a case in PC as i sometimes checked the temperature or maybe some software i use is causing it but i am not sure if this is possible I would be really thankful to any advice into future nbsp

A:Repeating hard disk failure

adikus said:

making noise like when under high activity, sometimes it makes click sound - same it makes when i shut down computer), and also random drops in its speed(sometimes resulting in OS freezing for 2 secs) and a there is also SMART notice in the POST.Click to expand...

Not good but clearly a definitive indication of HD error(s).

I would be really thankful to any advice into future.Click to expand...

Is your fan operating? Have you blown out all the dust?

Have you ever used CHKDSK C: /F? If your system freezes and you elect to force a power off by holding the power button for 5 sec, then you should restart
using Save Mode (F8) and run CHKDSK C: /F before booting normally.

Systems just don't eat HDs - - there's something in your usage that is causing the system to not flush I/O before powering off - - NOT GOOD!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/repeating-hard-disk-failure.174590/
Relevancy 24.94%
Relevancy 19.78%

So i have been browsing for a few hours now trying to get this issue fixed but I have had no luck!

I have a Seagate 320gb external hardrive. I have had it for a few months now and has worked great every single time I used it. Now suddenly it is no longer recognized. (Windows 7)

I have tried doing a few things which i found throughout other topics but ran into a few problems.

The HD is not shown in My Computer nor does it show in Disk Management.
So I try it on a Vista machine and same results. It is not recognized anywhere not even in Device Manager.

I can hear the HD spin and the green light does turn on however it used to flash consistently and now just flashes once and then remains lit.

If anyone can give me some insight it would be much appreciated.

A:External HD not being recognized, not even in Disk Management

The external drive is bad...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hd-not-being-recognized-not-even-in-disk-management.173376/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello tech forums My friends computer has been having a very odd issue regarding cpu usage I noticed it when trying to play DC universe online and noticed big fps issues in character creation all settings being turned down After that I monitored resources to see if anything is amiss and soon enough I saw my cpu usage randomnly spiking Also it easily hits and is probably trying to use more when DC Universe is on The other odd thing I saw was that the cpu usually operated at a higher frequency than actually being used in resource manager I have uninstalled Startup toolbar updater thinking it was using too. reason. Already for no malware overused CPU free tested being too much resources and have used the malware tech support to see if it was a infestation of any kind No dice all scans came up relatively CPU being overused for no reason. Already tested malware free too. clean My only other thought is that it might be DMA being reverted to PIO or some software issue This is my last shot before I reformat this frigging labtop gt lt Only thing stopping me is the possibility that it might be hardware though I can t imagine why On another note maybe the cpu is just messed up Whenever it spikes i don t see a reason why nbsp

A:CPU being overused for no reason. Already tested malware free too.

Okay some new observations. With a room temp of 12 C my CPU idles at 45 C. Mobo is seeing 25 C during this. Also just watching the CPU usage through speed fan for a couple of hours I noticed that it likes to dance between 2% - 5% constantly. Occasionally spike to 30% or 50%. Also, it can't hand DC universe at all. Through CPU-Z The processor seems to be acting normal. It runs at half power when it's not being used much and jumps to normal speed. That might explain a little bit of spikage, but it's performance overall doesn't make sense. It shouldn't be jumping so high when I start DC online.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-being-overused-for-no-reason-already-tested-malware-free-too.173267/
Relevancy 19.35%

I have a Simple Tech Pininfarina 320 GB external hard drive that is no longer recognized by two different PCs, even under disk management. When plugged into the USB, the PCs do try to install the driver, but fails. It is recognized under Devices and Printers as Unspecified and with the information Model-Simple Drive, Category - Unknown, and Status-Software is installing for this drive. The troubleshooter searches for a driver, but does not find one. Basically I get the information that "There is a problem wiht the driver for USB Mass Storage Device. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem." But I cannot find a driver for this hard drive.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

A:External hard drive not recognized in Disk Management

The system is telling you that there is a problem with a USB driver, check in the Device Manager for any yellow warnings. Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers you will see a driver for USB Mass Storage Devices, right click and uninstall it then reboot, Windows should reinstall it, or go to the motherboard's manufacturer's site and download and install the latest chipset drivers..

There are two other possibilities, the hard drive has failed or the circuitry in the enclosure has develpoed a fault.

Remove the hard drive from the enclosure and (if you have access to one) hook it up to the internal connections of a dektop PC. Or, purchase a USB Hard Drive Adapter (about ?10) from a computer store or eBay and then plug it into the USB connection on any computer and see if you can then access the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-recognized-in-disk-management.173121/
Relevancy 20.21%

Ok so here is my issue:

I have dell laptop with 50GB hdd in it. The data on the HDD is 9GB

so i want to clone this HDD onto a 20GB hdd.

I tried using easus disk clone which i use on a regular basis for other tasks, it completes without errors but when i stick the 20GB hdd into the dell laptop it does not recognise it. Well it does but it says incorrect disk press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

Any ideas on how to go about this?

Thanks

A:Disk cloning help...

Did you copy the partition or disk? I'd wager that you might have copied only the partition and are missing the boot sector. Have another go. EASUS is a good product.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-cloning-help.172477/
Relevancy 19.35%

SO basically i m doomed when i plug the damn thing in SOMETIMES windows will say that it is quot not recognized quot and SOMETIMES Windows won t say nuthin at all jsyk i ve tried times and only one time windows responded with that uplifting message i tried searching for the device in my computer not there there is no quot removable disk quot icon either i also tried going into disk management not there either oh and i ve also tried this on other computers SO therefore I assume that the thing is un-salvageable UNLESS Disk in Management Computer showing Thumb up not drive or My of course Thumb drive not showing up in Disk Management or My Computer one of you angels reveal that it is not actually a goner and that i can actually still access it and save my life in which case it would just mean i m a complete tech noob however that optimistic situation seems highly unlikely and therefore i shall return to my assumption that i am doomed seeing as life is so is there any way i can recover my data from the thumbdrive and no i can t send it back to the dealer because i never actually bought the thing it was given as a door gift at someone s birthday IKR so yeah nbsp

A:Thumb drive not showing up in Disk Management or My Computer

Hi

it sounds well stuffed, however i did a quick google on the subject

http://www.recovermyflashdrive.com/articles/how-flash-drives-fail

http://www.techimo.com/forum/storage-related/214456-flash-drive-broken-need-repair-recover.html

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thumb-drive-not-showing-up-in-disk-management-or-my-computer.172157/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi There,

Am currently facing a problem of which i would request to be helped//

i have been trying to reinstall an OS -on a computer that ceased to work due to a power surge,,, but i get a certain error message indicating that the system cannot boot from the CD, CODE : 4

i have tried to format the hard disk on another machine and it went all well, but on returning the hard disk on its machine ---it gives me this error message

"NTLDR IS MISSING"

Help pliz

A:Formatting a hard disk after a power surge

The error you have received "NTLDR is missing" shows that the system is trying to boot from the hard drive and cannot find the boot sector, this obviously won't be there as you have wiped the disc. To boot from the CD you need to go into the Bios and set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order.

Check that the CD is undamaged and that it will boot in another PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/formatting-a-hard-disk-after-a-power-surge.171128/
Relevancy 19.78%

Having some issues booting up my other packard bell notbook, i think i have caught the hard drive on somthing and bashed it. When i turn it on i get the error of 'insert boot drive - press any key to continue', if it helps i have a mass storage disk lying around, but i don't have a clue what to do.
(and i don't realy want to pay for repairs)

A:Insert disk drive error

Solutions here:
http://www.troublefixers.com/how-to-fix-please-insert-a-disk-into-drive-error-in-windows/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/insert-disk-drive-error.170314/
Relevancy 18.92%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 19.35%

I have used a Western Digital HD on the same computer and had no probs. Just plugged and it started working. But i have no idea why this doesn't work. I have tried it on different comp and OS's, but still didn't work.

A:Toshiba external hard disk problem?

The best way to test the drive is to remove it from its case and connect it to the internal wiring of a desktop PC and see if it operates OK. Often the problem is simply the power supply or a failure in the circuitry in the external box.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-external-hard-disk-problem.162508/
Relevancy 19.35%

Heres my problem , so my computer dvd and cd drives failed i kept getting mssg select boot device and reboot. then i used a cd drive fromanother computer connected it with xp windows cd and now im getting error in setup"setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" please help this computer used to work fine before and was xp before..thankyou in advance!

A:Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Check you bios settings if it is detecting your HDD.

/edit/

Check also the jumper settings of the CD drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-computer.169834/
Relevancy 24.94%

The drive has a 7.45 GB capacity and says it has 1.80 GB free. When I select all the folders in it there total size is 51.5 MB on disk (yes I remembered to show hidden files). I use to get the error that the disk is not working correctly and I clicked "fix and scan for bad sectors" and it did so and came back with no errors. It use to be used for ReadyBoost but I disabled that and I can't figure where all the space went

A:Missing space on USB flash drive

I'm not sure exactly what "Fix and scan for bad sectors" would do to a USB Flash drive since it's my understanding that it's a tool for mechanical hard disks only. If you haven't already I'd backup your data off of the USB flash drive and attempt a format of the memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-space-on-usb-flash-drive.169485/
Relevancy 19.35%

hello yesterday i was running on a windows xp service pack and i wanted to install windows ultimate So i formatted drive c and tried to install windows Amidst installation it opens a creation Hard disk partition problem quot drive manager quot like thing Hard disk partition creation problem which allows to create delete format combine a partition and Hard disk partition creation problem also where to install windows I dont exactly know what did i do but i deleted two of my partitions one and other gb Ideally when i delete two or more drives they appear as a single quot unallocated space quot But yesterday they appeared as two distinct spaces Then i partitioned them and Hard disk partition creation problem formatted them using ntfs file system In front of one there was quot primary quot and in other quot extended quot was written When I tried to install in the extended one it failed and i deleted that drive So i installed it in former one but now it is not able to create a partition in that unallocated space My hard disk is a gb seagate and i also ran some tests and zero resets on the hdd using seagate tools The hdd passes all the things successfully but i m still having that problem Somebody please help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-partition-creation-problem.169293/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi I had defragment running on my laptop then while it was running i uninstalled malware anubyte from my laptop and it asked me to restart the laptop so i cancelled the defragment and restarted my laptop Then after restarting it said computer had some peoblems so disk Hard fail detection run the repair or start normally but start normally when Hard disk detection fail was clicked it just kept on showing starting windows logo but the Hard disk detection fail laptop didnt start so restarted it again and tried again but still didnt start even with repair and i repeated the process Then at one point it stopped detecting my hard disk and then i ran via bootdisk i kept it the whole day it reached the postion where it showed me my folders but i couldnt copy or do anything with it then i restarted again AFter certain point without bootdisk it didnt detect hard disk and asked for boot disk and the bios also didnt detect i even tried placing my hard disk in another lapto p and it too didnt detect So could the problem be with software or hardware Help qould be really appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Hard disk detection fail

This sounds like a dead or dying hard disk. What brand is your disk? Most hard disk manufacturers have diagnostic software that can be downloaded and burned on a CD to be booted from. They can run all kind of tests to see if you hard disk is in good shape.

But if two different computers are unable to even detect the hard disk, I'm quite sure it's faulty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-detection-fail.169049/
Relevancy 19.35%

This is a Dell Latitude laptop with Windows XP
I let the battery die on it and when i plugged it in the next morning to turn it on I get that error message. I tried taking out the hard drive and putting it back in. The BIOS is not seeing any hard drive. It reads "<none>"
I am not sure if the battery discharging has anything to do with it or not.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

A:Internal hard disk drive not found after battery discharge

Faulty HDD Controller but I would have that laptop check out if you can. Most likely it's the MOBO that is to blame. MOBO = Motherboard. See if that was XP not seeing the HDD then you could re-install XP. But you said your BIOS is not seeing the HDD. It could also be your HDD as failed. Normally DELL has a tool that you run to test your system out. This tool is use by DELL Certified Techs to see where your issue is. HDD, MOBO, Battery. Most of the time the MOBO is replaced. Then HDD then the Battery to solve your issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internal-hard-disk-drive-not-found-after-battery-discharge.168494/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi guys I m new here so hi all So anyhow here s my problem - I have a Dell Inspiron that has been giving me some problems of late where the laptop dies off a hard it dies everytime off disk up laptop but still installed boots New few seconds after booting up I first tried System Restore and it died New hard disk installed but laptop still dies off everytime it boots up on me so I just booted into Safe Mode and changed some settings New hard disk installed but laptop still dies off everytime it boots up in msconfig It came back to normal temporarily but everytime I scheduled a disk check or attempt to System Restore again it will just black out So I did a PC check and diagnostics and it said that my HDD had failed So in all fairness I bought a new HDD and put it in With the new HDD in it gives me the message quot No boot sector on internal hard drive quot Now thats not actually New hard disk installed but laptop still dies off everytime it boots up an error so I put my Vista installation DVD As the files load my laptop blacks out -- yet again Can anyone help Thanks nbsp

A:New hard disk installed but laptop still dies off everytime it boots up

Remove the battery and only use the AC adapter. Does the laptop still shut down?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hard-disk-installed-but-laptop-still-dies-off-everytime-it-boots-up.168441/