Windows Support Forum

Failed Logon Events [Event ID 4625; Logon Type 8; Procss Name: w3wp; Process: Advapi]

Q: Failed Logon Events [Event ID 4625; Logon Type 8; Procss Name: w3wp; Process: Advapi]

We are getting dozens of these Alerts generated at our Exchange Server What is causing it and more importantly what procedural steps do we take to prevent the alerts from generating ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Details Windows Event Alert was recorded Time Date Time Windows Event Time Date Time Windows Event Log Security Windows Event Source Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing Windows Event ID Windows Event Severity Failure Audit Windows Event Logon Process: ID w3wp; 4625; Events Failed Advapi] [Event Procss Type 8; Name: Logon Message An account failed Failed Logon Events [Event ID 4625; Logon Type 8; Procss Name: w3wp; Process: Advapi] to log on Subject Security ID S- - - Account Name EXCHANGE SERVER Account Domain DOMAIN Logon ID x e Logon Type Account For Which Logon Failed Security ID S- - - Account Name Username Account Domain DOMAIN Failure Information Failure Reason Unknown user name or bad password Status xc d Sub Status xc a Process Information Caller Process ID xd c Caller Process Name C Windows System inetsrv w wp exe Network Information Workstation Name EXCHANGE SERVER Source Network Address IP ADDRESS Source Port Port Detailed Authentication Information Logon Process Advapi Authentication Package Negotiate Transited Services - Package Name NTLM only - Key Length This event is generated when a logon request fails It is generated on the computer where access was attempted The Subject fields indicate the account on the local system which requested the logon This is most commonly a service such as the Server service or a local process such as Winlogon exe or Services exe The Logon Type field indicates the kind of logon that was requested The most common types are interactive and network The Process Information fields indicate which account and process on the system requested the logon The Network Information fields indicate where a remote logon request originated Workstation name is not always available and may be left blank in some cases The authentication information fields provide detailed information about this specific logon request - Transited services indicate which intermediate services have participated in this logon request - Package name indicates which sub-protocol was used among the NTLM protocols - Key length indicates the length of the generated session key This will be if no session key was requested ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Any help would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Failed Logon Events [Event ID 4625; Logon Type 8; Procss Name: w3wp; Process: Advapi]

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Failed Logon Events [Event ID 4625; Logon Type 8; Procss Name: w3wp; Process: Advapi]

Account For Which Logon Failed:
Security ID: S-1-0-0
Account Name: [[Username]]
Account Domain: [[DOMAIN]]

Failure Information:
Failure Reason: Unknown user name or bad password.
Sub Status: 0xc000006a

Process Information:
Caller Process ID: 0xd5c
Caller Process Name: C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe

Network Information:
Workstation Name: [[EXCHANGE_SERVER]]
Source Network Address: [[IP_ADDRESS]]
Source Port: PortClick to expand...

I would start there. Where is the source of the attempt? Inside or outside? If inside, it should be easy to determine who the source is (assuming that this is an internal server). If outside, you may have someone trying to hack an account.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/failed-logon-events-event-id-4625-logon-type-8-procss-name-w3wp-process-advapi.4045827/
Relevancy 24.94%

For the past ten years, Intel has successfully managed to shrink the manufacturing process for their CPUs every two years. However, with each shrink of the process node there are complications to deal with, which is why Intel has announced...

Read more

A:Intel delays 10nm process to 2017, will release a third 14nm CPU family

I think this will be better in the long run. maybe amd will play catch up and cpu prices will become more affordable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-delays-10nm-process-to-2017-will-release-a-third-14nm-cpu-family.216581/
Relevancy 26.66%

At Computex 2015, Intel has announced Thunderbolt 3, a new iteration of the company's high bandwidth hardware interface. And for the first time, Intel has ditched Thunderbolt's proprietary connector, instead opting to funnel everything through the soon-to-be-ubiquitous USB Type-C connector.

Read more

A:Intel launches Thunderbolt 3, will use USB Type-C connector

Can I mention this is f*cking epic!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-launches-thunderbolt-3-will-use-usb-type-c-connector.213614/
Relevancy 21.07%

I have been having this issue for about 2 weeks now. Ive literally tried everything including uninstalling/reinstalling network card, restore points (there are none), a windows update download, and reformatting the hard drive (wont let me). Any help is appreciated. I cant afford a new pc or any new hardware at this time.

A:"Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

failed to query tcp/ip settings of the connectionClick to expand...

what did you do when this occurred?

Describe network equipment {modem, router} ISP, and your system.

Connect it all together, get a command prompt, enter ipconfig /all >myTcp.txt
and come back here and paste the contents of myTcp.txt as your reply

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-to-query-tcp-ip-settings-of-the-connection-cannot-proceed.177223/
Relevancy 27.09%

It's been years in the making but USB Type-C finally made its grand entrance this past week on Apple's new MacBook and Google's new Chromebook Pixel 2 a day later. While it's great to finally see the successor to modern-day USB,...

Read more

A:USB Type-C is still susceptible to its predecessor's flaws

I don't get this. How can you infect a 220V wall charger which is just a step-down transformer in it's basic form with a virus? How can such a thing retain any data? It has no AI.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-type-c-is-still-susceptible-to-its-predecessors-flaws.210087/
Relevancy 23.22%

A while ago, after accidentally opening the Store app, Windows forced me to restart to install Windows 8.1, which I was unable to weeks before because of driver issues. I didn't need Windows 8.1 yet, so I didn't download it before then.

However, during the installation, it failed (again) due to either my antivirus or the aforementioned driver issues. Upon logging back in, my computer was unable to find any WiFi networks. Seeing as I live in the middle of a densely populated city, this isn't possible. Plugging in an ethernet cord still works, so no issues with that adapter or my home internet. I checked all the drivers for my WiFi adapter, and my Ethernet adapter, and both are up to date and display as working properly. Restarting several times didn't seem to fix this issue, and using system restore didn't seem to work either. I used the Troubleshooting tool, and that didn't give my any helpful advice or answers, so I got nothing.

What can I do to fix this issue?

For reference, I have a Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, Driver Version 6.30.95.14, and a Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, Driver Version 2.1.0.7.

A:Unable to connect to WiFi after failed Windows 8.1 update

Never mind, it seems to have resolved itself overnight after I put it to sleep for several hours.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-to-wifi-after-failed-windows-8-1-update.210268/
Relevancy 25.37%

Google released the original Chromebook Pixel a little over two years ago. At $1,299, the system didn't make a ton of sense for most but what it did was serve as an example of what a high-end Chromebook could look...

Read more

A:Chromebook Pixel 2015: Great build quality, fast, USB Type-C and cheaper (but still too expensive)

Brick-ish.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/chromebook-pixel-2015-great-build-quality-fast-usb-type-c-and-cheaper-but-still-too-expensive.209610/
Relevancy 25.37%

In a strange turn of events, Nvidia elected to use Epic Games' media event (instead of its own last night) at the Game Developers Conference to reveal its newest flagship graphics card, the Titan X.

Read more

A:Nvidia crashes Epic Games' media event, announces Titan X graphics card

Soo... What are the chances of a 6GB "980Ti" variant? A bit like the 780Ti was to the Titan Black?
Because it would be better for games and a hell of a lot cheaper

If the rumor mill is to be believed, the price is going to be $1,349, Most people who buy this for gaming will have no use of the double precision floating point prowess of the card, and the few that would probably should have spent a couple hundred extra bucks to get a proper Quadro!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-crashes-epic-games-media-event-announces-titan-x-graphics-card.209423/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi, am prepared to be labelled "thick as mince" however I wonder if anyone can advise how to proceed with the following: Replaced cracked laptop screen on a TM99, on first start up after replacement, the screen worked.....woohoo!, however.....on next startup, there was nothing, no lights, no start up screen...nada. Replaced new with original screen, which although cracked had worked, and it too now failed. Any ideas? The cable for the screen was seated properly and securely, nothing else was moved so am struggling to establish a reason for this non conformance. Could it possibly be a jammed "lid closed" switch? If this is potentially the culprit, anyone know whereabouts it is? Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/packard-bell-tm99-laptop-failed-screen-replacement.208913/
Relevancy 21.07%

I have a mystery on my hands. I received a Bluetooth speaker as a gift. The BT-4.0 adapter plugged into my computer (USB-2.0 port) detects it (as a "Bluetooth headset"), but when I try to select it as my output device (from the "Sound" Control Panel), Windows reports it as "Disconnected".

If I open "Devices and Printers" and right-click the "Bluetooth headset" icon, I get an alert that the device "Failed to initialize".

I've tried rebooting, tried a different BT adapter, updated my BT drivers off the makers' website, Device Manager shows everything is connected & working (including "Bluetooth Audio").

64bit Win7 Home. Inateck BT-4.0 usb adapter. Speaker is a "MicroBoom" BT v2.1:
Any ideas?

PS: Eliminated the obvious. Speaker is fully charged and works just fine with my phone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bluetooth-headphones-paired-but-disconnected-failed-to-initialize.207624/
Relevancy 25.8%

I got a new laptop recently (this past Sunday) and ever since I turned it on I've had horrible issues with WiFi. It's tothe point where I'm ready to return it to the store and just go without a computer. Keep in mind I'm not very tech savvy, so I might not know what you're talking about.

It's very slow and won't stay connected to the internet. 4/5 times it doesn't load the web page I'm trying to load and after about 5 minutes after powering on it disconnects from my Wi-Fi and refuses to reconnect. The troubleshooter says it's a router issue but resetting the router doesn't do anything at all and no other device in the house is having any issues. I haven't downloaded ANYTHING to it yet. In addition, when it /does/ connect to my Wi-Fi, trying to open any web page brings me to a "you are not connected to the internet" notice.

I have no idea what to do. I need a computer for work but I'm so sick of having problems with them.

A:Brand new laptop; faulty wifi process?

Set up the laptop next to the router where the signal should be strongest. Are you sure that you are connecting to your own wi fi network and router? When you switch on the laptop it will search for in range networks and when you spot your own you are asked to give the password before you can use the internet for the first time. If that's not happening maybe its logging you on to a neighbouring unsecured network (no password set) where the signal is weak. If I click on the wireless icon bottom right in my taskbar it brings up a choice of available networks. My icon looks like a set of steps and so the icon shows how strong the signal is. Check that you are connecting to your own router and see how strong the signal is. You mention other devices that work OK but haven't given any details.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-laptop-faulty-wifi-process.207589/
Relevancy 24.51%

Please somebody help me asap I tried to change the public Dns to google's one but failed to do so now I cant reverse it I clicked auto obtain IP and Dns but still cant connect to my router, I beg you somebody help me.

A:DNS change failed

I'm far from an expert on anything internet, but I had a similar experience when Verizon changed servers on me, and my router failed to track it.

I called Verizon tech support and they reconfigured the router for me while I was on the phone.

You can also try opening a command box and type, "ipconfig/release", wait a few moments and type, "ipconfig/renew" (obviously without the quotes). That will only work if the issue is with the computer, but not the router.

Don't despair though. Someone who actually knows what they're talking about could be along any minute...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-change-failed.207375/
Relevancy 26.23%

My year old ACER Aspire keyboard just stop working in a couple of capacities First the numbers on the key wouldn t type at all Checked Num Lock fine then stopped some thing... Laptop working wrong the type and keys tried to type numbers at top of keyboard well some typed the right number but most didn t or typed more than one number Ran Webroot Anti-spyware and Anti-Virus clean Then I shook my computer to see if any crumbs or foreign materials were throwing something off clean Took out battery nada Restored computer to the day before any problems Changed nothing Pressed every Laptop keys stopped working and some type the wrong thing... key to see if something was stuck or key broken None The Delete Backspace Enter and Space Bar do NOT work at all So basically the entire keyboard is not working due Laptop keys stopped working and some type the wrong thing... to something If I type any one key some of them type what I wanted but continue to type the letter or number until I log out of my Google Engine I have always had issues with the keyboard I will be typing along and the cursor will randomly go back to previous sentences and start typing what I am currently typing It is so annoying Why is it hopping all over the place A computer major friend who teaches computer classes said to write to Google and maybe I would find others with similar problems I found several quot sticky keys quot problems but none on point with none of the keys working or working properly He suggested perhaps a Trojan Horse virus but my sweeps come up clean Can anyone help me Thank you Shawnascy nbsp

A:Laptop keys stopped working and some type the wrong thing...

It could be a virus. But It also could just be your keyboard is bad. You may need to take it to your local repair shop if it. Is a laptop and have them check the keyboard out for you. I really do not think it is a virus.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keys-stopped-working-and-some-type-the-wrong-thing.204613/
Relevancy 22.79%

Had an AMD HP G62-227CL laptop that overheated and required motherboard replacement with similar Intel motherboard. Old board clocked at 2.2 MHZ .. new one is 2.0 MHZ.
Board I got from Ebay works but now computer believes that it is a Compaq CQ42 Laptop. Do not know the model number, which I would need on HPs site to download BIOs upgrades.

Is there a way to tell which bios I need or what model I now have?

Thank you,

Steve

A:Replaced Failed Motherboard.. now how do I determine model number and which BIOS to download?

Finding a bios update rather then the one hp would give for this board. Would be next to none.
You could check a few of the support pages for this model. Which their are a lot Of
Maybe find out the motherboard you have bought.

HP Support, Drivers, Contact and Help Forums | HP ® Support

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replaced-failed-motherboard-now-how-do-i-determine-model-number-and-which-bios-to-download.203956/
Relevancy 22.79%

Good day chaps, yesterday night I was casually playing a game (Aion > mmorpg) and I decided to put some music on(it was on browser, YouTube), when I pressed alt+tab to change it it started flashing telling me the exact issue : AMD DRIVER CRASHED AND FAILED TO RECOVER.

I got a bit scared when it gave me a blue screen, so I thought of asking for any tips or clues why it does that~

For unkown reasons, I can't upload the .dmp file saying either its empty, or The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.

Hope you can help me and thanks a buck!~

A:Dell Inspiron 3512 AMD Radeon HD 8500/8700M crashed and failed to recover

Upgrade the driver and see if this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-3512-amd-radeon-hd-8500-8700m-crashed-and-failed-to-recover.203323/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have networked PCs before many times successfully so this is not my first time trying to network PCs in a home environment Though I m wondering if Windows is part of the problem I would have thought that for sure until one of the name credentials bad password? user with unknown even correct failure: or "Logon new laptops running W would not connect to any of the other three PCs Laptops running W Yet these other three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to this laptop Then it gets a little more "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password? even with correct credentials interesting this same laptop that couldn t connect to those three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to a Windows desktop and a XP Laptop and those two can also connect back to it without issue It s almost like my network is divided in half and only half can talk to each other But then when I thought it couldn t get any more interesting I realized the first three W PCs Laptops can talk to the others it s just that the others W Laptop W Desktop XP Laptop can t talk back to them without getting the error quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password even though the username and password are correct I don t fully understand this error because on the surface it s just WRONG My username and password are correct but it appears something somewhere is interfering or hijacking the authentication process Three of the computers laptops are brand new just purchased last week and setup this week The HostPC is also fairly new just purchased last month I am not using a HomeGroup and have removed all computers that were part of a HomeGroup I have enabled file sharing and network discovery and enabled Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers on all PCs I have DSL and am using the wireless modem provided by my ISP which has router functionality built into it It is a Sagemcom Model F ST N All computers are connected wirelessly Time is correct on all PCs I cannot use Group Policy since they re all Standard or Home edition DHCP is enabled and all computers are on the same subnet using the x range of ip addresses The six computers are as follows I figured this may make is easier to visualize the layout HostPC HP Desktop W PC Name DrsBlend U N DrsBlend p w not showing my real password PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Desktop W SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC Dell Laptop XP SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W Every PC stated above has the same user name and password and is logged-in with the username DrsBlend and the password The quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password happens when trying to access HostPC PC or PC from PC PC or PC The HostPC can see and connect to all the PCs but only PC and PC can talk back or access the HostPC It s like the HostPC and PC and PC are in their own little clique and can talk back and forth to each other Those three PCs can also talk to PC PC and PC as well but PC PC and PC cannot talk back to them HostPC PC PC Profile corruption I would have entertained that thought but the fact the first three PCs can access and talk to one another kind of defeats that idea and the fact the PCs were just recently setup Firewall Disabled and disabled TrendMicro with no change With them on off the first three PCs can still talk to each other and the rest of the PCs Anyone have any additional suggestions nbsp

A:"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password” even with correct credentials

I experienced a similar problem when I was trying to network my 8.1 machine the host network. As you say the host PC can see and connect to all of the machines, but not the other way around. Not sure if it is the same in your situation but I found that Microsoft's idea of network sharing on the Windows 8 class of OS differs greatly from previous OS's in that you can connect to it from an external host, but when trying to do the other way around it doesn't "see" the PC in question due to differing network sharing protocols included in the OS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am speaking only from what happened with my network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logon-failure-unknown-user-name-or-bad-password%E2%80%9D-even-with-correct-credentials.201313/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have this dell laptop, XPS M1330 that I bought new the ship date was 01/08/2008. I have been wanting to upgrade to a SSD but I don't know what kind of connector the system board has on it. It is some of SATA connector but it has separate power connector. I am hoping someone can tell me what type of connector this is and do they make a SSD with this type of connector.

You can view the photo I took of the drive here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13177305443/

A:Connection type?

Those connectors are SATA and SATA power (the longer one is SATA power). No idea how it works on a laptop though, I think the connectors just are fixed in place where the old HDD was. Before buying an SSD though, make sure it fits in the old space and you should be good, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-type.200878/
Relevancy 23.65%

When I am accessing wifi network I get dns failed error message. what is the problem? pls help

A:DNS failed error in WiFi network

Can you connect using a wired connection?
Get a command prompt and enter
ipconfig /all >myTCP.txt​then open that file, copy the contents and paste into your follow-up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-failed-error-in-wifi-network.200577/
Relevancy 26.23%

How serious is this? I'm running on a Dell laptop with a Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

It is saying that I should back up all of my important files because of possible hard drive failure.

PLEASE HELP? I don't know how to fix this because I don't know what it means.

A:Hard drive is reporting a Smart Event error message

It telling you your hard drive is on its way out. You can try running a check disk and see if that helps. But to be on the safe side you should back up your personal files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-is-reporting-a-smart-event-error-message.199432/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have a Western Digital drive and it keeps freezing the transfer process around 15 seconds remaining. I am trying to transfer my movie files to it. The files are around 750 megs to 2.5 gigs each. I am trying to do them one at a time. I have got it to transfer about 3 movies to the device. When the transfer locks I have to turn off the computer and turn it back on to get it to stop. Its I think a 110 gig external.

A:Western Digital Drive Freezes Transfer Process

Some details you have left out.
Age of PC
Desktop or Laptop
How much RAM?
Single, Dual or Quad or high CPU.
Size of HDD
What source are you using to transfer file to the HDD?
Are you using a network LAN?
Speed of the LAN 10, 100, 10000?

When you do this type of work make sure the PC doesn't go to sleep and keep an eye on it.
Make sure the HDD doesn't have any bad blocks do a check disk (CHKDSK C: /F
Make sure the HDD is de-fragmented
Make sure the HDD has done quick or full optimized (use ULTRA DEFRAG FREE)
Make sure the system is cleaned using JetClean Free

The condition of the HDD is very important also the source your transferring from too it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-drive-freezes-transfer-process.197415/
Relevancy 24.08%

Networked for years in XP machines.

I read help files how to but, could not make it work.

My w8 win wxplorer list shows under Network the VISTA LAPTOP. When I click on it it asks for user name/password but, what name & password?.

I naver had any name/password for my networks.

Any body knows what does it refere to?

A:Failed to network w8, xp & vista

Hey nichos. Was a name and password used when this Win8 system was first set-up. When I first unpacked a WIN8 laptop, it threw me for a loop as it requires a username and password to unlock it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-to-network-w8-xp-vista.197366/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hey all new here Hoping for some advice Last night I was playing my games when suddenly my Bigfoot Network Adapter crashed I rebooted thrice attempting to have it come back to no avail I began using my Wireless adapter in its place The next morning I booted up to find that the Bigfoot Network Adapter had come back but with an issue My computer is showing that it is connected to the network and I can read all network computers and access copy write files to other systems on the network The issue is I have no internet on my computer I have tried booting multiple games with them crashing they never crashed as such before even with Internet' 'Access type: Internet no but no internet and tried even booting Skype which crashed when attempting to connect to the internet I m afraid I ve done some tweaking that I shouldn t have considering I was attempting to run my game with lowest ping But I ve only used installable proxy programmed such as SmoothPing and FixMyLag Any help would be appreciated Please PC Specs Intel Core i GHz GB Corsair Vengeance GB Vertex SSD Windows Ultimate SP If there s anything I ve missed do tell New to this fixing 'Access type: Internet' but no Internet stuff Cj nbsp

A:'Access type: Internet' but no Internet

Have you reinstalled your WLAN drivers?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-type-internet-but-no-internet.194794/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi all,

So I'm upgrading my motherboard from an ASRock which has caused me nothing but problems since I got it to a MSI. They both are intel socket motherboards. My question is, how do I go about doing this? I would prefer to keep my files from my prior build but I have read that it is necessary that I reinstall my OS before I install my motherboard. I realize I can backup my PC's files and then reinstall them once I've installed the new motherboard but are there things that I should be mindful about while working on this process?

I have a lot of specific questions about this process. So maybe a step by step instruction or something like that would be a good place to start and I can see if I have questions from there.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-motherboard-to-a-new-brand-but-same-socket-type.193961/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hello. I want to find out why Windows does this cheking to my Memory Card. It happened while booting. After "Checking file system on D:
The type of the file system is FAT32." and other stuffs like: "Unrecoverable error in folder \System Volume Information\catalog.wci.", or "\Sounds\FosterThePeople-PumpedUpKicks(ButchClancyRMX).mp3 first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated." and "Cross link resolved by copying.
\Images\IMG00502-20121218-1525.jpg is cross-linked on allocation unit 6984." After this proces Windows started normaly. I've cheked my documents on the card and found out that some images were damaged and some old music appeared, but only samples, from about 18 seconds to 56. I foud, also, a "BOOTEX.LOG" file, written in Notepad. Could you explain what happened, please? &sorry if there are some bad spelled words.

A:Checking file system on D: The type of the file system is FAT32

It perhaps got removed incorrectly while some programs still had the file data open/in memory. I'd pull everything off the card, format it, and put the data back.

What is the card in? Does it have to be FAT32? Could you use ExFAT instead?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/checking-file-system-on-d-the-type-of-the-file-system-is-fat32.193835/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a Dell Studio 1737 Windows Vista Home 64 Service Pack 2. All of my drivers are up to date and I have the most recent BIOS.

I get this error message in my event viewer a couple of time an hour:

Source: ACPI
Event ID: 13

: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

Also, when my computer is unplugged from the AC and running on battery power the system lags a lot and after about 15 minutes its turns off without warning.

I feel like this is all connected. Any advice?

Thank you!

A:ACPI error Event ID 13

This could be caused by a failing hard drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acpi-error-event-id-13.190645/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have try many things but the result is still the same...
already tried restarting the computer.....switching off the modem....
when I disable it.. I cant enable it again.. and when I try to switch off the computer it got stuck at the saving setting or something like that.... even the hamachi network cant be disable... the internet connection was working great last nigh but when I woke up.. this thing shown up... I never adjust any system or add any program before shutting it down last night...
I also tried to go to control panel

ithe ethernet is still enable... I realy need help on this... the wireless is working fine but the cable connection is the problem...

A:LAN network conection failed

the wireless is working fine but the cable connection is the problemClick to expand...

Are you trying to get BOTH connected at the same time?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lan-network-conection-failed.191371/
Relevancy 20.64%

Ok here s the history of the problem I have GB Hard drive quot Samsung sp c quot and I am using it since two years with my old desktop system with this S M A R T error at the startup BIOS TWO YEARS BACK I think there are some bad sectors involved at the last part of the HDD space There were partitions initially I e C D E amp F The problem started with partition #83" attribute "1720-SMART failure failing? drive detects imminent hard failed: ... HDD error F with following issues Always took so long copying files into F System got stuck up when some file s folder s from F drive were opened and then automatic restart That time ran CHKDSK on F drive but in the middle of scanning it always restarted the PC automatically Sometimes system restarted when I was copying some HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? random data in the F partition Whenever this restart thing happened at the start up it displayed that there is no primary hard drive detected Then eventually it came back live after - attempts always I also deleted the Partition F and then recreated the partition but same problems persisted YEAR BACK Due to above issues HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? I left the partition F as it was and used others like C D amp E but an year before the partition E started to do things same way F was doing and at that point F was not accessible with error popping The disk is not formatted Do you want to format it now I formatted the partition F and ran following HDD tools afterwards Partition Table Doctor HDD Regenerator Surface tests for C D E was fine but when it started scanning the HDD somewhere in F partition area these tools messed up with something took so long stuck at sectors for long time without repairing it MONTHS BACK I came to know that there are some serious issues in the HDD sectors inside the last GB part of HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? the hard disk I made partitions C D E F G The G partition was for GB space and I never opened this drive since I created it because this will cause same problem what the F was doing before NOW I don t have much issues with C D E amp F while operating them Don t use F too much to be at safe side But I feel that HDD is very slow overall and and every time I turn this system on I get quot -SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed quot Wondering if it could be fixed or not and I know and understand that my hard disk was failing ever since and most of you guys will advice to back up and purchase a new one but I am still on to fix this one and as if there s any way to get it right up Many Thanks nbsp

A:HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing?

The fundamentals still apply:

for every partition ?X?
chkdsk ?X? /f /r​
The /R will remap bad sectors in an effort to avoid future I/o errors.

a} fix all partitions
b} get the SMART data and save it for reverence (it will not be reset to zero by chkdsk)
c} view the SMART data every day
d} look for increasing statistics

PLAN on getting a new HDD asap

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-error-1720-smart-hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure-attribute-failed-83-failing.190152/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi Fellows I have TOSHIBA GB HDD I made it external delayed showing External to 0MD size failed due errors write HDD HDD through a drive case and using it since few months for storing the data it has partitions Now External HDD showing 0MD size due to delayed write failed errors I have a problem with it A week before the drive started giving following errors when I was plugging it in to the system There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc this can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it Delayed Write Failed I O Device Error Initially it was only reading two partitions after - days it only showed one partition not all data then now it is showing partition with zero data with zero mb total disk space It is asking to format each partition I am trying to open I tried to access the HDD from multiple systems XP VISTA SEVEN but same MB size showing up now every time How can I get the external HDD back to normal state without losing the data already there please help Thanks nbsp

A:External HDD showing 0MD size due to delayed write failed errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors
Check the drives for errors as instructed in the link above^. This may take a few hours depending on the size of the drive. If this fails then we will resort to other options. After doing some research, it seems as if this error occurs a lot in XP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-showing-0md-size-due-to-delayed-write-failed-errors.189965/
Relevancy 23.22%

My computer wiz of a brother moved across country! Im not a computer wiz but can follow instructions well! IF anyone would like to guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it! thank you!

He can get wireless signal, and at times access the internet for a few minutes, then he is booted again! My brother suggested we install Chrome for him, did so last night! Now I receive messages server cant be found, bc the DNS lookup failed!

A:Trouble getting father's computer online wirelessly! DNS look up failed!

It's not a browser issue - - it's the TCP settings

get a command prompt (btw which version of windows?)

enter IPCONFIG /ALL >myTCP.txt

on your follow-up, attach the file myTCP.txt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trouble-getting-fathers-computer-online-wirelessly-dns-look-up-failed.189000/
Relevancy 20.21%

My 1TB Western Digital external drive has failed. It's out of warranty so that's not an option. After much internet research and trying many "fixes" that didn't work, I moved on to getting it out of its enclosure. But I need help on what I do next to determine if its the USB port that failed or the drive itself. This is my main backup of all my data (I know my fault for not having a backup of my backup) so I really need to get the data off of it if possible. The sticker on the drive says: SATA / 32MB Cache. My only computer is an HP Pavilion laptop. I am a novice in terms of computer hardware but can follow directions and do "techy" things pretty well. Your help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-wd-external-drive-is-it-the-drive-or-the-usb-port.188620/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello I recently purchased a new laptop a Dell Model N Windows home premium It s been about a week that DNS lookup failed I have been attempting to access the web I have successfully set up the wireless network I just added the existing network I have set up through my old laptop My task bar shows that I am connected to the internet using DNS lookup failed google chrome I receive the error message quot the DNS lookup failed quot And while using internet explorer I get quot The DNS server isn t responding quot All of my Wireless Network Connection Properties are set to obtain automatically I ve even tried disabling the IPV I know all these settings are correct because my old laptop is still connected and I am having no difficulty connecting to the internet I consider myself to be fairly computer savvy and this has left me puzzled and extremely frustrated Any help would be greatly appreciated This might be helpful- results from ipconfig from Dell not connecting to internet Windows IP Configuration Host Name Daisha-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Dell Wireless b g n Physical Address - - -F - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Sunday October PM Lease Expires Sunday October PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address -B -FD- A- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - - -F - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap - E- - FC-B BF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap FAF A- DA - CAA- -D DEA B D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e c ebe f fff Preferred Link-local IPv Address fe c ebe f fff Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Data from Dell computer that will connect Windows IP Configuration Host Name Daisha-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Dell Wireless b g n Physical Address - - -F - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Sunday October PM Lease Expires Sunday October PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address -B -FD- A- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - - -F - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physica... Read more

A:DNS lookup failed

Is this WiFi to your own router, or some public hotspot?
These look really good:

Code:

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Daisha-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : [B]Hybrid[/B]
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1701 802.11b/g/n
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 64-27-37-F2-85-05
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : [B]Yes[/B]
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
[COLOR=#ff0000]IPv4 Address.[/COLOR] . . . . . . . . . . : [B]192.168.0.12(Preferred)[/B]
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:23:34 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:42:06 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
[B]DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8[/B]
[B]8.8.4.4[/B]
[B]NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled[/B]
In Services, ensure DNS Client is Autostart and running.

These are the test you can run; get a command prompt, then
verify NIC is active ping 127.0.0.1
get your IPv4 Address and then ping it
run tracert 8.8.8.8

first line will be your router/gateway
second will be your ISP
... last should be 8.8.8.8
now test DNS with

nslookup 8.8.8.8
should return google=public-dns-a.google.com

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-lookup-failed.186215/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello Everyone errors event DNS client I m have a problem on my newer computer that I would like DNS client event errors to know if anyone could give me hand trying to figure out DNS client event errors Now this is not an error that is preventing the computer from working But I get an error in the Event viewer constantly Just makes me think that there is something wrong Error is as follows Log Name System Source Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client Date AM Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords User NETWORK SERVICE Computer Jay-PC Description There was an error while attempting to read the local hosts file Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client quot Guid quot C E- EEA- A -A FE-A B DDB D quot gt lt EventID gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt Jay-PC lt Computer gt lt Security UserID quot S- - - quot gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data Name quot ErrorCode quot gt lt Data gt lt Data Name quot Location quot gt lt Data gt lt Data Name quot Context quot gt lt Data gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt Like I said earlier If anyone can give me a hand with this I would greatly appreciate it Also Im sorry if I m posting this in the wrong Forum Topic Wasn t sure what sub topic I was supposed to put it under Thanks nbsp

A:DNS client event errors

Easiest approach is to delete the host file
\windows\system32\drivers\etc contains hosts

you need ADMIN privileges
First stop the client by getting a cmd prompt and enter net stop "dns client" (exactly as shown)
now cd to \windows\system32\drivers\etc

del hosts
then recreate it using echo "" >hosts
(that is two consecutive double-quotes without anything between)

now you should clear the event viewer log containing the error and follow up with
net start "dns client"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-client-event-errors.186735/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello,

I've got a problem. I can't seem to get the wireless working on 1 laptop. It used to work, but since I logged into another Wifi it doesn't work anymore.

It keeps giving the DNS lookup failed in Chrome.

I checked the DNS client, it's running. I renewed, released, did netsh resets.

IP and DNS are on automatic.

The only thing I can find it the logs is that the "Gateway" is empty.

EDIT:

On top of that it takes really long to acquire the network address. Then it gives a limited connectivity warning for 2 seconds, and then it says the connection was succesful and that the signal strength is excellent.

Go to this post scroll to the bottom, find the attachment

Save to your HD, rename by stripping off the .TXT

Now using an admin login, dbl-click that file to make the change - - reboot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-lookup-failed.186338/
Relevancy 36.12%

I don t know if this would be the right section but it does have to do with a case of some sort I guess so this is where I am putting this thread We are starting a program in our school where we go around to different events and stream live It will be several times a week and all year long The computer we use will need to be powerful with many connection possibilities That is what brings me to this question A laptop is easy to transport It is made fairly tough and can be pretty fast if you are willing to put the money into it On the other hand you don t have a lot of input capabilities I was wondering if a desktop would be the best solution It is going to be faster than a laptop ex a desktop will cost about for the same Desktop laptop events for vs livestreaming speed and power is what I have found out So you can get a lot more for you money with a desktop Then you also get a multitude of connection possibilities with a desktop and it is so much more upgrade friendly than a laptop The problem with desktop is it s portability I don t really Desktop vs laptop for livestreaming events know what I am looking for Are there travel cases for desktop computers What do you suggest we use Does anyone have a link or something to lead me in the right direction Thanks nbsp

A:Desktop vs laptop for livestreaming events

Look around for some mini-ITX or HTPC cases, Lian Li and Silverstone both have decent selections. Obviously you'd need a monitor to transport around as well, so whether that's convenient is up to you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/desktop-vs-laptop-for-livestreaming-events.185369/
Relevancy 23.65%

My fan recently broke. So I simply jus popped another one on. The fan I replaced it with jus has red and black which is obv live and neg but the one I took out has red black and yellow any idea about the yellow ? The fan works great but CPU fan failed error keeps appearing then when I press F11 it says entering setup but still shuts down.any ideas about how to keep it running just to get into the settings and change the CPU fan settings. Would be grateful with any help. Thankyou.

A:Help needed to bypass the CPU fan failed error at startup

You bought the wrong type of fan. They aren't all the same. You should have bought a CPU fan but you have a case fan instead. The yellow wire goes to a sensor connection that controls the speed of the fan. The motherboard detects the missing connection and throws the error you saw. The solution is to buy the correct type of fan.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-needed-to-bypass-the-cpu-fan-failed-error-at-startup.170008/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello I m Redsuns and I have this Dell Inspiron Laptop I ve been getting the quot DNS lookup failed quot error message constantly while using Google Chrome Sometimes when refresh the webpage of Facebook or go to google homepage this problem always happen What method shall I use to DNS failed lookup solve it Any DNS lookup failed suggestions would be appreciated Thanks in advance Host DNS lookup failed Name Dell-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Home Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address -F -A - E- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - - - D- - D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Home Description Dell Wireless WLAN Mini-Card Physical Address -F -A - E- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b bc Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Lease Expires Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - F-DB- -A -BA-DB-AA-F - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address A -BA-DB-AA-F - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap CDD B - BA - -B -C A FD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap BF ED - - - -B BFDA Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap - - -BFDD- BFD AA BC Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap A EC- C E- - FE - FC D A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

Do you know how to access your router to configure it? If you do, I would try adding 8.8.8.8 as a secondary DNS server in the DHCP settings. Let me know if you need help with this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-lookup-failed.181576/
Relevancy 35.26%

I was running Win XP which finally failed and I was able to enter in safe mode (only, no networking) and ran all the tests I could think of. Hard drive is ok and so I attempted to repair WinXP from the installation CD. However, the PC failed to shut down and restart so I eventually force closed it. Now it won't even load past the initial black windows screen, don't even get the option of going into safe mode.

Is there any way I (or someone) could access the hard drive to retrieve the data? I guess I could reinstall the OS but don't want to do that yet as I'll definitely lose the data.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Win XP failed, repair failed -- can I access hard drive?

Sure, there are many ways. Depending on what you want in the end decides how to proceed.

If you have a lot of space free on the drive, you could boot off a linux dvd and create a new partition. You'd have to shrink the existing, then make a new one. Then you could just copy over the data from the old one to the new one. Then reinstall windows onto the old partition, and copy your stuff back (then delete the partition and expand the remaining to fill the rest of the space).

You can also just boot off a linux disk and copy it to a thumb drive or whatever.

Or you could remove the hard drive and place it in another computer.

Also, I'm not convinced you lose the data if you install Windows again. I'm pretty sure you can install without formatting the drive. Your programs won't work, but it shouldn't overwrite any of your data. This is a non-ideal solution though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-failed-repair-failed-can-i-access-hard-drive.179446/
Relevancy 23.22%

To start I left my laptop off for two days while away on vacation I return home and attempt to load it and receive the windows error message quot Windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause quot I am left with options to boot start windows boot manager to load windows normally When I try option at the bottom of screen there s a bar that says loading windows file and then the screen goes to a black screen with an arrow never to load--even after a substantial amount of time hours When I try option it goes to the windows logo screen for a couple of minutes and then returns to the error message screen I have a Toshiba Satellite L -S Windows bit My year warranty on the laptop just ended less than a month ago and when contacting Toshiba they note this Upon a minute conversation I was told that the harddrive crashed and needs to be replaced as well as windows OS I just don t understand what could have happened because prior to leaving for vacation L655 start failed Windows Toshiba Satellite to - windows was functioning no problem My laptop is not making any weird sounds I just want to be sure their solution is necessary or is there any other solutions I could try before dishing out for this computer Also know any strategies getting around out of date warranty when right outside within weeks of the warranty period nbsp

A:Windows failed to start - Toshiba Satellite L655

I don't know if you got this settled, but it sounds like the hard drive might be okay if you can re-format and re-load Windows fresh

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-failed-to-start-toshiba-satellite-l655.175786/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have an ATI Radeon 9250 which is pci.
I'm looking to upgrade to a decent gpu.
I want to know if having a pci card necessarily means I only have a pci slot.
I have an Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz

I used PC wizard but didn't really come to any conclusion.
Under mainboard it says "Slot PCI : 32-bit [5.0v, 3.3v] - Empty"
Not really sure what this means.
I also see "Number of PCI Bus : 2"
Does this mean I could use two cards?
And also I see "Number of AGP connectors : 1"
Does this mean I have an AGP slot?

If I can upgrade, what might you recommend? I don't really play games, purely for game development.
If I'm stuck with pci cards, could I get anything that could significantly increase performance?

A:What type of card can I use?

You should take a look at your hardware instead of trying to find evidence buried within software detection methods. Learn what you have by seeing and identifying for yourself. Once we know for sure what you have available for card slots, we can then advise you with further details.

Physical Differences: PCI Express [ PCI-E ] vs AGP vs PCI

Difference Between AGP and PCI

Taking the Mystery Out of PCI-Express

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-type-of-card-can-i-use.173321/
Relevancy 23.65%

I attempted to promote a member server to be a BDC in a single server domain It seemed to complete successfully but later I found that it did not I now have multiple issues with the server I see the following in Event Viewer In the system log I am receiving SAM errors In the Directory Service log I am receiving NTDS Replication errors that full synchronization did not occur In the DNS Server log I am receiving Event id stating that the DNS BDC Issues a a had server failed 2000 DCPromo that with server is unable to open the Active Directory In File Replication I am receiving a error Apparently the SYSVOL cannot be created I do see that the user database did come over from the PDC however I am also receiving messages that I cannot create new Issues with a 2000 server BDC that had a failed DCPromo user objects until the BDC can sync with the PDC I am researching all this stuff but not really knowing where to begin I have tried to DEMOTE the failing BDC but since it cannot attach to the Issues with a 2000 server BDC that had a failed DCPromo DNS server the ip address of the PDC the demotion fails too Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated Greg nbsp

A:Issues with a 2000 server BDC that had a failed DCPromo

Maybe this will help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837932

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/issues-with-a-2000-server-bdc-that-had-a-failed-dcpromo.172227/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi I use Windows DNS lookup failed, continuously -bit as my OS I just moved into DNS lookup failed, continuously a new apartment got the internet installed and was using it for days or so Suddenly it was taking much longer to load sites then it would just show a quot dns lookup failed etc quot message This happens regardless of browser used chrome opera firefox IE Strange thing is that the internet connection is still very strong and my service is mb s so I still download torrents at speeds of mb s It just can t seem to manage more than one thing For instance while downloading a torrent even at speeds of just kb DNS lookup failed, continuously s if i try to check out websites the DNS message will usually show up again by the nd opened page It s pretty much like this all the time though I ve used Hijack this malwarebytes and avg free version to get rid of whatever malicious thing might DNS lookup failed, continuously be in my comp but no success so far Any suggestions would be great BTW I m a completely newb so explicit instructions would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:DNS lookup failed, continuously

get a command prompt window (start->run->cmd)
enter IPCONFIG /ALL >myTcp.txt

open the myTcp.txt file, copy all the data <ctl>c
and follow-up to this thread, pasting the data.

PLEASE describe your Internet setup

ISP name?
connection type? {dial-up, DSL, Cable, Satellite}

Brand name and model of your modem? _____ your router _____?

Are you using a wired or wifi connection?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-lookup-failed-continuously.170666/
Relevancy 21.07%

My m-in-l s computer crashed so I brought it message ATI everyone! Control to Panel Error Hello "The initialize..." failed to my house to reinstall everything for her I am almost to the point of setting it back up at her house but I am still having a couple of problems Hello everyone! Error message "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize..." I ve searched and searched for all three but nothing has worked yet so I thought I Hello everyone! Error message "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize..." would post on here I noticed a yellow circle with a quot quot in the middle of the yellow circle under device manager of her Display adapters Video Controller VGA Compatible quot In the system tray it says quot Found New Hardware ATI Radeon Xpress Series quot So I went to Gateway website to get the specific drivers for my M-in-law s GT e Os XP and their was a chip driver for the ATI Radeon Xpress Series so I downloaded it amp extracted the files into Cabs like the instructions said to and now I am getting the error message quot Severe - Setup was unable Hello everyone! Error message "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize..." to complete the installation Try to set up your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup quot So I closed that window and a new window popped up saying quot The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize because no ATI driver is installed or ATI driver is not working properly The ATI Control Panel will now exit quot Any suggestions would be appreciated to how amp where do I fix this nbsp

A:Hello everyone! Error message "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize..."

Hello and welcome to TechSpot.

The subforum you posted in is for new member introductions only, so I have moved your thread to the relevant forum so others can best assist you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hello-everyone-error-message-the-ati-control-panel-failed-to-initialize.170409/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello TechSpot,

I am thinking of dual booting Linux Mint with my Windows 7 OS. I don't have a cd big enough for the installer, and I am thinking about buying a stack of CDs to use for booting. However, I don't know which CD type to buy. I will be using them also for Movie making, file storage, back up and etc..
Which one of these would work?

DVD R
DVD RW
DVD-RW
DVD-RAM

Thanks

A:What type of CD is good for installing Linux or other OS for dual boot?

They're DVD's, not CD's; though you can use them for burning a Linux ISO, it would be a waste of most of the capacity of a disk though. I'd choose DVD-R's.

You can always download Linux live creator and use that instead. You just need a spare 1GB USB memory stick/thumb drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-type-of-cd-is-good-for-installing-linux-or-other-os-for-dual-boot.169327/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi fellow service unknown status start failed or the Connection to dependency group computer junkies I can see a multitude of difficulties have been overcome by your group effort I hope you ve got another fix up your sleeves My laptop is years old HP COMPAQ C Notebook PC Vista Home Premium purchased with Intel Pentium Dual CPU T Ghz GB RAM bit OS My internet connection is normally T-Mobile USB Internet card Also connect WiFi with built in card Local Disk C NTFS GB Free GB Presario RP Disk D GB Free GB Pc tools spyware doctor w Antivirus Malwarebytes The first indication of a problem began with announcement that new Connection status unknown the dependency service or group failed to start hardware had been found Knowing that I had installed nothing I blocked the new hardware attempt to connect Next day I found I could not reach the internet using T-mobile Among other things Windows Defender and Firewall were not operating I got a message quot Failed to connect to a windows service Windows could not connect to System Event Connection status unknown the dependency service or group failed to start Notification Service This problem prevents limited users from logon on to the system As an administrator user you can review the system Event Log for details about why the service didn t respond quot Of course upon investigating I found I could not open Event Notification log Normally at a time like this I would reach for System Restore But I was informed no restore points were available With help from Brother-in-law Larry and using desktop with the T-mobile connection I was able to get online to find the fix to the problem I started in Safe Mode Clicked start search cmd right click ran as administrator typed quot netsh winsock reset quot enter and restarted Also ran sfc scannow That got rid of that problem Was then able to see Event Notification log But now new error quot Connection status unknown The dependency group failed to start quot I right clicked on that message got option to Diagnose and Repair Got message Network Diagnostics cannot run because Diagnostics Policy service is not running Clicked to open Service Control Manager SCM is in Management Console This opened Local Services which shows full pages of application descriptions status startup type and log on as I found Diagnostic Policy Service Properties set to startup automatic but service status is stopped I clicked start result was Error Access is denied Many other items are in same state When start attempted on some other applications Error was received also Some applications gave Error quot The dependency service or group failed to start I don t know if this is important but After being allowed to view Event Notification Log I looked at Security log which had as earliest date that was days ago Today the earliest date is I noticed several entries throughout from oldest to newest dates the entries were quot Special Logon quot with Special Privileges assigned to new logon On the oldest one it seemed to be given privileges which included among others I can t remember assign Primary token privilege Security Privilege Audit Privilege take ownership privilege TCB privilege load driver privilege backup privilege restore privilege debug privilege system environment privilege and Impersonate Privilege That s it for now bout all I know Send help please Bill Ellison nbsp

A:Connection status unknown the dependency service or group failed to start

Shot in the Dark

Have you tried running MalwareBytes in safe mode? Do you have an antivirus on your computer? Sometimes Virus' know MBAM so you may want to change the name of the program before you run it.

My Computer Lady

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-status-unknown-the-dependency-service-or-group-failed-to-start.164058/
Relevancy 23.65%

Bit of a weird problem i try to send a file to my computer less than about 300kb it transfers fine any larger it fails. I try sending it through MyPhoneExplorer, it transfers all of it but my point is I some times need files from other people not just my own phone. Any ideas? I am on windows 7 home premieum 64 bit i do have a uknown device listed as "bluetooth peripheral device" with that yellow triangle.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bluetooth-file-transfer-failed.159627/
Relevancy 24.51%

My Seasonic S12 E+ 650W PSU failed suddenly this morning without warning with smoke sending the UPS into overload mode. After removing the supply and plugging into wall outlet it blew the circuit breaker as soon as I turned it on. It's two years old with a five year warranty.

1. Anyone had this happen?
2. What are the possibilities of damage to devices connected to the output?
3. Anyone dealt with the Seasonic RMA system? What is the turn around time?

A:Seasonic PSU failed big

I've never had a PSU bigger than 430 watts, and never had one go up in smoke. Since that's just my individual experience, I can't adequately answer for "anyone". Sorry

There's at least a 50/50 chance of the board or such being damaged, since what you're describing is a catastrophic failure. I'm sure that a big Seasonic PSU has circuit protection in place, just hope it didn't either break, or fail to kick in in time. And we're both aware that you won't know until you substitute another PSU anyway. A rhetorical question maybe?

This is a wild guess, but it would likely take at least a month round trip for an adjustment under warranty. Part of that is dependent on if you're shipping coast to coast, or fifty miles away. That could add, up to six days to the total.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seasonic-psu-failed-big.158716/
Relevancy 23.65%

Ok so his power turned off randomly in his house because of some faulty kitchen appliance.

His computer started in safe mode and he thought it was broken so he started messing with services/startup.

Now he has no internet because in the network connections folder it says windows can't display any adapters and he doesn't know what he's done.

His internet in the house is still working because he has access on his blackberry it's just purely the access on his computer.

I'm nowhere near him and I'm on W7 not XP like he is and I can't really fix his problem but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what he might have done?

In services I told him to check that Network Connections 'Netman' service was on but don't know what else to say.

Thanks for any help you can provide guys!

A:Friend's Internet failed - possible setting in Windows?

Try System Restore to a point before the power problem. If that doesn't help, try uninstalling the old LAN/NIC driver through Add or Remove Programs and installing a fresh new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/friends-internet-failed-possible-setting-in-windows.158972/
Relevancy 27.52%

I'm looking to buy a new CPU for my laptop it has an Intel Celeron M socket. What's the fastest CPU I can get with that socket? Also would http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Pentium-M-745-1-8GHz-2MB-400-Laptop-CPU-SL7EN_W0QQitemZ370467367138QQcategoryZ164QQcmdZViewItem work with it, I noticed it has a 775 socket type so i'm guessing no.

A:Socket type

Don't try to replace laptop processors.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/socket-type.158529/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a XFX GTX275 video card on a Asus P6Tv2 motherboard.

Adobe (premiere, encore) and Intuit (quicken) products seem to bleed through to the foreground even when they are in the background. It is fairly annoying when trying to run a process in the background and it corrupts the foreground. No other programs do this.

Anyone else getting this? Anyone know how to stop it?

Thanks!

A:Background process video bleeds through to foreground

try running a product update or installing new drivers. you should also be able to configure the driver software in premiere or encore since they are designed to work with just about any video card. the would probably be located in edit > preferences (sorry i forget the exact layout of the software)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/background-process-video-bleeds-through-to-foreground.158225/
Relevancy 24.51%

hello my name is kim and i am having major problems trying to play my sims games i keep Failed message getting a failed msg about direct x c blah blah blah so anyway i have jus upgraded to windows which comes with direct x so i am trying to figure out what the problem is i have read all the post on this website regarding the problem and have downloaded and followed every step i possibly can if someone can please help me fix this problem that i have never come across that would be great here is my computer info someSystem Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name ARICKIM-PC Operating System Windows Ultimate -bit Build win gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Compaq Presario System Model PC A-ABA SR WM NA BIOS Phoenix - AwardBIOS v PG Processor Intel R Celeron R CPU GHz GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D Failed message retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Manufacturer Standard display types Chip type Intel r G GL GE GV Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS DAC type Failed message bit Device Key Enum PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS amp REV Display Memory n a Dedicated Memory n a Shared Memory n a Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Name Generic PnP Monitor Monitor Model Monitor Id Native Mode Output Type Driver Name vga Driver File Version English Driver Version DDI Version unknown Driver Model unknown Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo d Yes WHQL Date Stamp Device Identifier D B E - - CF-D -C AADC CB Vendor ID x Device ID x SubSys ID x Revision ID x Driver Strong Name Unknown Rank Of Driver Unknown Video Accel Deinterlace Caps n a D D Overlay n a DXVA-HD n a DDraw Status Not Available D D Status Not Available AGP Status Not Available ------------- Sound Devices ------------- Description Speakers Realtek AC Audio Default Sound Playback Yes Default Voice Playback Yes Hardware ID PCI VEN amp DEV C amp SUBSYS amp REV Manufacturer ID Product ID Type WDM Driver Name RTKVAC SYS Driver Version English Driver Attributes Final Retail WHQL Logo d Yes Date and Size bytes Other Files Driver Provider Realtek Semiconductor Corp HW Accel Level Basic Cap Flags xF F Min Max Sample Rate Static Strm HW Mix Bufs Static Strm HW D Bufs HW Memory Voice Management No EAX tm Listen Src No No I DL tm Listen Src No No Sensaura tm ZoomFX tm No Description Realtek Digital Output Realtek AC Audio Default Sound Playback No Default Voice Playback No Hardware ID PCI VEN amp DEV C amp SUBSYS amp REV Manufacturer ID Product ID Type WDM Driver Name RTKVAC SYS Driver Version English Driver Attributes Final Retail WHQL Logo d Yes Date and Size bytes Other Files Driver Provider Realtek Semiconductor Corp HW Accel Level Basic Cap Flags xF F Min Max Sample Rate Static Strm HW Mix Bufs Static Strm HW D Bufs HW Memory Voice Management No EAX tm Listen Src No No I DL tm Listen Src No No Sensaura tm ZoomFX tm No --------------------- Sound Capture Devices --------------------- Description Microphone Realtek AC Audio Default Sound Capture Yes Default Voice Capture No Driver Name RTKVAC SYS Driver Version English Driver Attributes Final Retail Date and Size bytes Cap Flags x Format Flags xFFFFF Description Line In Realtek AC Audio Default Sound Capture No Default Voice Capture No Driver Name RTKVAC SYS Driver Version English Driver Attributes Final Retail Date and Size bytes Cap Flags x Format... Read more

A:Failed message

Wow thats alot of system stats, but I'm gonna go for the obvious unfortunately, am I right in saying that Sims 2 is for an older operating system than Windows 7? if so, try compatability mode. I had a similar problem with an older version of a codec being needed, yet I had a newer one, and it wouldnt run the game. As soon as I ticked compatability mode and selected the OS the game was meant for, the games run perfectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-message.158088/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi all I want to keep this short but i elimination? of Process need some advice as to where and how i can find out what the problem is with my PC Only a few days ago whenever i do anything demanding i e rendering with a D program or even virus scanning with Norton my pc just shuts down unexpectedly General internet viewing and video music playing etc it fine so Process of elimination? i am guessing its a cpu thing i did a little googling and i have since ran memtest and a program called Prime to which i left running for days on torture test and pc was fine I am on W all upto date etc so i need to know how to test things further i e PSU CPU Process of elimination? Graphics or what ever else is needed I am a little green with the jargon so if any help is offered please be basic with me lol Thanks in advance for any input it will be greatly appreciated Kindest regards Vale nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/process-of-elimination.156859/
Relevancy 25.8%

Seems Intel have a contract- other than themselves that is- with Achronix for FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) processors using the 22nm process. These are OEM products with fairly general (i.e. basic) properties for post-manufacturing application setting.

This same 22nm process will also be applied to Intel's Ivy Bridge CPU's- the successor to the as yet unreleased Sandy Bridge which is manufactured on 28nm.

A:Intel's 22nm process a step closer

http://oregonstate.edu/research/partnering/advance-could-change-modern-electronics
Article isn't very specific; the writer doesn't seem very technical, nor does OSU seem to want to divulge too much information. The article makes it seem like this technology will be implemented alarmingly soon, but I'm thinking several years at least.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intels-22nm-process-a-step-closer.155921/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey guys,

Windows Vista 32-bit
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core processor 6400 +
2gb ram
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT

So I went to Nvidia and downloaded the latest driver, at the time it was 260.89 I believe and it failed, and so does the most current driver (260.99). But when I tried to download it my first time (260.89), it totally changed everything:

1. Now I can't play ANY games because it gives me error messages like "Unable to initialize renderer"
2. DxDiag only shows "N/A" next to basically everything under the Display tab.
3. The sleep option is now grayed out

Whenever I try to download the drivers again the Graphics Driver installation always fails.

So what the hell happened? Does anyone know how to fix this?

A:Nvidia 260.99 graphics driver install failed

Hi Nohone welcome to Techspot,

have you tried doing a rollback on the graphics card? this will hopefully revert your drivers back to the origional setup. You can do this from the hardware setup OR via system restore and re-set your computer BACK to a date before you installed the drivers. This wont effect your personal files but MAY effect any new software you may have installed.

Also make sure you ahve downloaded the correct drivers for it i.e. the VISTA-32 bit drivers instead of the VISTA-64 bit drivers.

A link for the latest driver for your graphics card can be found here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-260.99-whql-driver.html

Hope this helps
James

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-260-99-graphics-driver-install-failed.155574/
Relevancy 23.65%

I just bought this re-conditioned emachine from tigerdirect.com and it has worked great...till about a week or so ago the monitor will not come on. i tried another monitor and nothing happened, and i put both monitors on older computer and worked just fine. i figured it is the onboard graphics card but i do not know what graphics card to buy that will fit and work properly. i have found some on ebay but do not know if they are compatible. I dont need anything super fast just want it to work same as the old one. It says it has NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Integrated. Thank you

A:Emachines ET1831-01 graphics failed

Looking at the newegg page for that item ( Emachines ET1831-01 ) it seems it has a PCI-Express x16 slot open.

So, any PCI-Express card would work, such as:
HD3450

Which is a decent card for regular stuff the 7050 would've taken care of, plus it'll do a decent job on video.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/emachines-et1831-01-graphics-failed.155230/
Relevancy 26.66%

This is the strangest error I have EVER seen in XP. I find no mention of this phenomenon anywhere on the web so perhaps I am the first? I surely hope not.

I have a Dell laptop with an integrated keyboard (i.e. built-in). Suddenly, and with no good reason, today my keyboard is acting strangely. Some letters I have to hit 3 times before they type. Others twice. And yet others behave as normal. The correct letter will eventually appear but my Lord no one should have to hit any character on the keyboard more than once.

I need this fixed ASAP because I am taking this PC out of the country with me and I have to be productive.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A:Windows XP - Keyboard - some letters I have to type multiple times for them to appear

Laptop keyboard problem

This could be a failing keyboard matrix, fairly simple to order a new one from Dell and fit. Or it could be the keyboard software faulty. A way to check for a failing keyboard, is to plug in a separate keyboard, into a USB socket. If all works well, then the fault is the Laptop's keyboard. Hope that helps, if only to eliminate one possible problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-keyboard-some-letters-i-have-to-type-multiple-times-for-them-to-appear.153692/
Relevancy 27.52%

The keyboard on my Dell 1501, will not the letters I,O,P when I press them. My laptop is older, just three years, and has had moderate use, mainly my husband looking for information. It has the Vista program, I know, but it has worked basically fine for the little use it gets. Nothing has been spilled on it, could they be worn out/

Is there anyway to take the keyboard cover off without damaging it and look to see if there is some type of debris blocking the connection?

A:3 keys won't type on keyboard

Inspiron 1501 laptop from Dell seems straight forward for removing keyboard to check for debris. Check it out at:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1501/en/sm_en/keyboard.htm#wp1111863
Read directions carefully as laptops are quite delicate.

good Luck
Failing that, a new one shouldn't be too expensive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/3-keys-wont-type-on-keyboard.153417/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have someone who is experiencing random connection problems on the clients such as slow or no connections to mapped network shares. Event id 10009 keeps being recorded in the domain controller logs.

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer MARK-PC.pmc.local using any of the configured protocols.

It has a range of different computer names within the same events. As far as DCOM is configured it's only setup to use TCP-IP.

Server - Windows Server 2008 Standard FE
System type: 64-bit Operating System

Clients:
24 XP Pro
2 Vista Pro
2 Vista Home (should they be using home in an environment like this?)

I have attached the last 256 logs from Application & System as of yesterday evening at around 5pm'ish. I've checked again this morning and looks like the same error has already been re-occurring.

Can anyone give me any suggestion as to where to go with this?

Thanks.

A:Event ID: 10009 DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <computer name>

Extra Info

Sorry I forgot to also mention that the server is acting as a DHCP server and that there router has had DHCP disabled. Client PC'S are set to local static IP'S and are not actually set to obtain if this has any variance.

Thanks, David

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/event-id-10009-dcom-was-unable-to-communicate-with-the-computer-computer-name.147932/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi All Recently my older Acer Aspire - notebook hard drive failed on me It s about yrs old Was running Vista Home I of course like an never burned the recovery media from the hard drive And it s just my luck that Acer no longer has the recovery media available They told me there was nothing recovery no hard media Acer longer failed... available? drive Aspire they could do for me and directed me to Microsoft My question is this I have Windows Vista home running on my Acer Aspire hard drive failed... recovery media no longer available? Desktop If I smack in a new hard drive in the notebook can I use the recovery media from the Desktop to reinstall the OS on the notebook If not do I have any other options I guess I could always run Ubuntu I know this is an older notebook not necessarily worth a lot but I d like to keep this running for my wife She uses it primarily for web surfing and she s hogging my laptop like crazy every since her s died Thanks in advance Frank nbsp

A:Acer Aspire hard drive failed... recovery media no longer available?

You can't legally used your Desktop's recovery media on your laptop (also because usually manufacturer's build such medium for a particular piece of hardware, with all drivers etc. pre-installed).

I think you can either choose to run Ubuntu or you can get one of those cheap OEM windows media from e.g. newegg. However, one draw back of this is, I believe you can't get any help from Microsoft directly, if you ever need it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-aspire-hard-drive-failed-recovery-media-no-longer-available.153073/
Relevancy 18.92%

I just reinstalled Windows XP professional (on my other computer), due to a viral disaster. I cannot access internet or email through that computer, but others using the router work fine. It says that the adapter card is working fine, but no IP address can be identified. I looked and found the driver installed, but could it be bad? The virus didn't impact the connection, but the re-install lost it. There is only the 1394.sys network connection. It lacks a "local area connection". I'll add more details as needed. Any suggestions? Thanks kindly. Let me know if I should be posting on a different forum.

Esoxfables

A:No Internet connection - "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection"

Check device manager and see if there's a network adapter visible under Network Adapters, it may not have the driver installed for that device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-internet-connection-failed-to-query-tcp-ip-settings-of-the-connection.152285/
Relevancy 26.23%

I d posted in another part of techspot about a problem that it finally turned out was a slowly very slowly dying hard disk that I d had as my D drive for data and documents etc on an XP SP system gig memory Pentium GHz Not wanting to again be so vulnerable to losing my data I thought I d try a RAID configuration I went cheap yes in event viewer errors on copies RAID large and often a mistake I know with an Addonics ADSA PCI controller card that supported software RAID Once I got past the bad documentation - the installation guide started with the driver installation then the next step said quot do this part first if you re configuring RAID RAID errors on large copies and in event viewer quot and described a procedure where several things were to be installed BEFORE the card was - things never really got going smoothly I got RAID running and thought that for sake of ease I d just copy my data roughly gigs from the single drive that had it to the new RAID setup The old drive I had relettered to Q and the new array was D this was done before I configured RAID and formatted the new drives So I went to Q and selected all highlighting all top-level files and folders and their subcontents copied then went to D and pasted Every time I tried this within - minutes I d have a BSOD either a kernel stack or a kernel data inpage error The time it seemed to work best I d moved about gigs in some files So is that a problem with the RAID or with Windows and its copy function Obviously I don t typically copy that much data using copy and paste but I ve done it before without problems Ultimately I used an image of my data and restored that image onto D and all worked well And the computer has been stable now for almost hours since all this happened There ve been two exceptions One was that twice on restart XP has launched chkdsk on C my boot drive not the RAIDed data drive The first time this happened I d had to do a force restart after a lockup on a mass copy attempt so I could have accepted this becuase of the abnormal ending The second time though was after a smooth Windows restart that I did when installing some Windows updates a NET service pack that had been pushed to me after I had to install NET as part of the required RAID utility package that came with the controller card Since I m almost never asked to run chkdsk and when I am I usually understand why this bothers me The other is that I have gotten several event viewer errors related to the new RAID array A few were at a time when I had restarted Windows smooth and normal Windows restart and it went to the login screen fine and stayed that way overnight Others have occurred invisible to me when I m on the PC Here s the most recent one Event Type Error Event Source SiSRaid Event Category None Event ID Date Time PM User N A Computer XP Description The device Device Scsi SiSRaid did not respond within the timeout period For more information see Help and Support Center at http go microsoft com fwlink events asp Data f h c a Is this stuff normal Should I be worried Pre-RAID I d go weeks usually but often months with no errors ever in my event viewer nbsp

A:RAID errors on large copies and in event viewer

So I went to Q:\ and selected all (highlighting all top-level files and folders, and their subcontents), copied, then went to D:\ and pasted.Click to expand...

Ouch! The technique of copy/paste is more likely to cause issues than anything else, especially on large size transfers.

Empty the Raid target
Select the top-level-folders
drag-n-drop onto the Raid Drive letter

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-errors-on-large-copies-and-in-event-viewer.151764/
Relevancy 26.23%

Usage:
1) Connect to plasma tv using hdmi output & watch online videos from youtube etc.
2) Go online thru free public wi-fi like hotel rooms, McDonald etc.
3) Later go online from anywhere (Cars etc) by buying data plan from AT&T etc.

Plz comment on Inspiron M101z for my usage type.
What other options do I have in this category?
Thanks.

$549

1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty
Microsoft Office Starter 2010
McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0
AMD Athlon II Neo K325 (Dual Core,1.3GHz,2MB Cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Edition
4GB DDR3 SoDIMM at 800MHz, 2x2GB DIMM
320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
11.6'' High Definition Truelife WLED (1366x786)
Combo 802.11n 1x1 with Bluetooth 3.0 HMC
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
AMD RS880 Integrated Graphics

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdmi-netbook-dell-inspiron-m101z-for-my-usage-type.151680/
Relevancy 27.52%

Strange request I know but getting rather fed up with the noise of my Logitech Wave keyboard now So I m on the hunt for a keyboard with silent press keys I don t mind the latest flat style keys featured on Mac keyboards and my Sony Vaio laptop They just need to be silent or Looking a for keyboard silent type almost silent as the noise Looking for a silent type keyboard when I m typing is driving me nuts LOL Currently I own this Ideally I m looking for something like the one I have illuminated keys would be ideal but not essential and a wrist rest is a must or it be flat along its bottom edge so I can purchase a Kensington duo gel pad to match my mouse one Most crucially it needs to be Looking for a silent type keyboard silent with good weighted keys and comfortable for extended typing I would prefer wired don t need to worry about batteries then but USB rechargable ones are fine as I have plenty of USB ports Its for lots of typing generally office based use No requirement for games I don t need any keyboard mouse combos as already have a Logitech Marble trackball and LX cordless mouse Budget is around UK Pounds What would you all get Thanks in advance and sorry if this is Looking for a silent type keyboard in the wrong forum I couldn t really decide where it fit best nbsp

A:Looking for a silent type keyboard

The newer wireless ones are lasting more than a year.
This is a product you should see and test.
The silent one can be a pain, if they don't fit your comfort zone

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-a-silent-type-keyboard.151017/
Relevancy 22.79%

Sims 2 help?
I played Sims 2 yesterday and it was working. I have no expansions for The Sims 2. I do have downloaded content. I just don't know why whenever I startup the Sims 2 this message comes up "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!Please make sure you have a direct X9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."I did run dxdiag and I have X9.0c on my computer. Sims 2 is the only game I have on this computer so I made sure I had enough space. ​Help please!
I have tried cleaning the disk and taking off all of the downloadable content
Thank you!

A:Sims 2 failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter in this system

What graphics card do you have? Also, did you try to install the latest graphics driver available for you card?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sims-2-failed-to-find-any-directx-9-0c-compatible-graphics-adapter-in-this-system.150870/
Relevancy 27.95%

I am building a PC and i found out about SSD drives. I have never heard of them before. Anyways I wanted to get one but I'm not sure how many GB do you need. I was thinking of using it for the operating system so it starts up faster and then use my 1TB HDD for all other files. can you do that?

A:What type of SSD do you need?

Three issues: Cost, size, and speed.
And their long-term reliability is still in question.
Plenty of 60 GB and 80 GB SSD drives available for under $100 now... but above that, you can easily pay $235 to $285 for one that is fast and rugged.
There are price drops nearly every week... while 12 different manufacturers know this is the cash cow. They are all rushing to beat their competition.
After Christmas, there will be 350 GB to 500 GB drives at a reasonable price... Then if they work well, two years from now, you probably will not find many regular hard drives still on the market.
We just received our first SSD drives on the first of July... and so far they are impressive... Quiet, relatively fast, but not nearly as fast as a Good Western Digital, Samsung, Seagate, Fujitsu, or Seagate hard drive... But they are now up to $350 for 250 GB.
Now if we only knew something about their long-term reliability... everybody speculates they will be good for five years... We will need to be convinced.
In the meantime there is nothing wrong with using a Western Digital, Seagate, Fujitsu, Toshiba, or Samsung drive that is 500 GB for $55... or a 750 GB for $80. Just avoid the unreliable TriGem, Hitachi, Maxtor, There are still plenty of problems with the 1TB 1.5TB, and 2 TB hard drives.. mostly with speed and early failures..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-type-of-ssd-do-you-need.150807/
Relevancy 23.65%

I recently had a drive fail in a Dell PowerEdge 2850 server in a RAID5 array. I finally got the replacement drive today and powered it down, took out the old drive and put in the new one(it was never setup for hot swappable drives). When I booted it back up I hit Ctrl + M to get into the RAID Manager, went to Rebuild, and was met with a second failed drive so now I can't rebuild anything. I've checked and double checked every connection, tried putting the old failed drive back in and I'm not having any luck. Is it possible that the second drive that failed was just holding on for dear life and then powering down killed it or is there something in the configuration that I'm missing? I've never had to replace a failed drive in a RAID before so any insight would be great.

A:RAID died while swapping out a failed drive?

Are you certain it is not a typical SATA error. Go to the webside of the drive builder and get their instructions for a clean SATA format...
You may have to start over to get things working properly ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-died-while-swapping-out-a-failed-drive.150782/
Relevancy 23.65%

I know this has been all over the boards, but I cannot find a solution, I know there has to be one.

I have installed Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 for my son on my gaming machine (quad core 3.0 w/ 4gb Ram. I am running DX11 with an ATI 4850 (Windows 7). I have installed all the latest drivers (so that is not the problem) I have tried to force dx9 at startup (didn?t work), I have tried editing the option.txt (didn?t seem to work). I am not the most tech savvy guy, but this problem should not be happening. I way exceed all the hardware requirements for this software. This problem has been reported on this software before; by others?they seem to be having trouble with an old video card or bad drivers. Atari doesn?t seem to be monitoring their help forum?..Any ideas?

A:Failed to create direct3d divice

This game was designed for older operating systems before Windows 7 was released. Install the game patch and change the compatibility mode to Windows XP and see if it helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-to-create-direct3d-divice.148173/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi I don t really know in which category this belongs so I ve put it in General What is the problem My friend has a problem with his computer Everytime he tries to boot his PC the screen remains black and his computer beeps long short beeps after that it keeps repeating a short beep We searched on the internet for this beep code and found that it could be a RAM or EGA problem However it gives the same beep code without a videocard and we thought that it should just boot with the onboard chipset We also tried removing the RAM sticks by both or switching them without any luck When did it happen We were at a Lanparty with people at the time we were with and the th had yet to arrive When he did he plugged his laptop in and my friend s computer just died but all other PC s stayed on A thing to mention is that we were all plugged into the same socket And that socket was short 1 long 3 boot, to beeps and Failed not grounded His Hardware Videocard Ati Radeon HD MB Motherboard Asus P QL SE RAM x GB DDR Mhz unknown We would appreciate any help Marty nbsp

A:Failed to boot, 1 long and 3 short beeps

If you can, I'd suggest getting some more RAM and testing it.. If it's still giving you the 1 long and 2/3 short beeps then it could have blown your motherboard..

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm < Asus Award Beep Codes

Lists the 1 long 2 short as a video issue, and a continueing beep as a RAM issue, so if your getting both then I'd say either the boards gone and it can't read anything, or it just blew out both... I'd say it's best to get it tested at a shop where they have parts they can test on it.. Best of luck to you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-to-boot-1-long-and-3-short-beeps.146899/
Relevancy 27.52%

I was helping a neighbour reinstall windows xp pro on his older computer which had become unusable because of viruses. While trying to type in the activation code, I found that the z key would not produce any response, so I replaced it with another keyboard and the same things happened, in fact I tried 4 keyboards in all (3 were ps2 and 1 was USB) and they all had the same problem when trying to type the letter z. Any ideas?

A:Keyboard will not type z

Hey I really have no hear such problem before. It a really very serious problem. I think the activation code which you are going to enter is incorrect. Not only 'z' key is working what about another keys. I think it will be your installing or CD from which you are installing problem. You have to try it from another CD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-will-not-type-z.146639/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi,

I have an eveshamvale computer - I have run CPU-Z - and it lists the motherboard as eveshamvale - however 'eveshamvale' have gone bust, however I was considering upgrading this to windows 7 - but just wonder about the drivers ?

Anybody any views if this is feasible ?
Edit Seems the Motherboard is MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R - anybody any ideas if this will work with windows 7 - or where I might get drivers ?

A:EveshamVale - Motherboard Type

Windows 7 works well with a lot more hardware than any Windows OS before. There is a Windows Upgrade Advisor program out there. Google for it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/eveshamvale-motherboard-type.145506/
Relevancy 25.37%

is the p5k premium/wifi-af compatable which Intel Core2 Quad processor can i upgrade to from the one i have
thanks

A:Core2 Quad processor to replace CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3000 MHz (9

You already asked this here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic145552.html, try to keep it to one thread.
Anyway, yes it is and I personally don't think its worth upgrading your processor, nor buying a gtx 480. Probably be cpu choked either way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/core2-quad-processor-to-replace-cpu-type-dualcore-intel-core-2-duo-e8400-3000-mhz-9.145550/
Relevancy 24.51%

I'm working with HP Pavilion 552x with OS XP. I had to buy a new PSU and it seems to be working fine. But when i start the computer all fans work but nothing else does. It doesn't recognize the monitor, had drive and CD drive or the floppy. It's basically dead! I visibly can't see anything out of sorts with the caps on the mother board a P4S-LA. And I pulled out the CPU to make sure it was set properly. When I turn on the computer I am unable to shut it down by holding the button in for 5 seconds (I held it longer) the only way to shut down is by the button on the PSU. I am dumb founded and in need of some real good help.

A:How can I tell if it is the MOBO or CPU that failed?

Any beeps? If not then the mobo was probably damaged by whatever killed the PSU. See it all the time at work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-tell-if-it-is-the-mobo-or-cpu-that-failed.145091/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi,

Everytime I download something in RAR, I get CRC failed message while extracting. This was not occuring until I got a NETGEAR router. I've read that this problem can be caused by modems, so, how can I fix this?

Is it the router?

Thanks.

A:CRC Failed. Happens everytime

How is the router configured? Wired or wireless?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/crc-failed-happens-everytime.143077/
Relevancy 27.95%

I want to buy an external hdd for an acer travelmate 5320 laptop as the hdd in the laptop is nackered. How do I know what type of external hdd to buy?

Cheers,

benbaun1

A:What type of HDD do I need to buy

if the external HDD is staying in one place then get this
Cavalry CAXM Series 1TB $94.99

but if your going to be traveling then this
LACIE Rugged XL 1TB $134.99

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-type-of-hdd-do-i-need-to-buy.142737/
Relevancy 22.36%

Okay so I was looking around at server motherboards. (I want a server, and I'll hopefully eventually get the money to buy one.)

I noticed that apparently this board doesn't state what type of power connectors it uses.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182164

Now, they may be assuming that everyone of course would know what type it uses, but this seems presumptuous to me.

A:Do I need a server PSU to go with a server motherboard? If so what type?

Well here is your board's complete technical specifications along with recommended power supply; I hope this will help, and good luck for your build.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-need-a-server-psu-to-go-with-a-server-motherboard-if-so-what-type.142519/
Relevancy 21.07%

my computer is put together from like a couple other computers but it runs internet and everything fine.
i just put a new graphics card in it but dont have the disk to install it.
when i have the card in the computer prior to turning on the computer the computer will turn on but nothing gets sent to the monitor unless the graphics card is out of the computer when i turn it on and put it in afterwards. the card gets power to it and everything but dont seem to be working.

if anyone can help me that would be super! i miss playing wow THANKS

A:WoW says "failed to find suitable display device exiting program" when I try to play

Hi

you answered your own question, you need the drivers for the card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wow-says-failed-to-find-suitable-display-device-exiting-program-when-i-try-to-play.142247/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi
When trying to run The Sims 2 the following message appears:

Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!Please make sure you have a direct X9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

I am running a AMD Athlon XP3200+ with 512KB L2 cache and 400MHz FSB,1GB of DDR
256MB nvidia geforce FX5700LE graphics card

I would appreciate any help
Regards
Terry

A:The Sims 2: failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters!

Have you installed the latest detonators?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-sims-2-failed-to-find-any-directx-9-0c-compatible-graphics-adapters.40424/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi guys after quite a bit of trouble with choosing comparing etc my next graphic card I decided to go with GeForce GTX mainly because it seems a bit better than radeon HD and even though it doesnt have dx as radeon has it has PhysX which is an advatage since newer games will focus on dx and not but anyway I m now stuck on choosing the quot type quot of this Zotac, gigabite type EVGA, GTX GeForce OC...) 260 (TOP, graphic I sort of eliminated the basic one because I dont really care about say - bucks for better performance and decided to go with ASUS TOP version but than I saw this Gigabite OC version and really can t tell which one is better they re almost the same price or if there is better type here are the types I came across on my GeForce GTX 260 type (TOP, Zotac, EVGA, gigabite OC...) shop website with prices in USD -GigaByte GTX SO GV -N SO - I MB PCI -E - -GigaByte GTX OC GV-N OC- I MB PCI-E - -Zotac GTX Synergy ZT-X E KG-FDR MB PCI-E - -Asus ENGTX Glacia tor Plus HTDI MD MB GeForce GTX 260 type (TOP, Zotac, EVGA, gigabite OC...) PCI -EAsus ENGTX Glacia tor Plus HTDI MD MB PCI -E - -Gainward -Bliss GTX Golden Sample MB PCI -E - - Zotac GeForce GTX GS AMP Editio n ZT -X E KG -FCP MB - - ASUS ENGTX TOP HTDI M from asus store http www asus com product aspx P ID wFbgFmfX Zo exlV amp templete - and many other types mainly Gigabite Zotac EVGA here is the link site is in my native tongue czech but you will be able to clearly understand the types and prices they have USD - czech crown http www czechcomputer cz fulltext jsp query GTX amp type stockitem what I m looking for is obviosly the best-go best performance and I would like it to eventualy be able to go crossfire when I upgrade my motherboard And I would like to ask if it would be compatible with my PC here are current specs Motherboard - ASUS M A Graphic interface - ATI Radeon HD Graphics Memory - mb dual CPU -AMD Athlon X CPU Speed - overclock from bus speed MHz Power Supply Make Model - Watt output Amperage - not important since I obviously need a new one for this graphic card OS Windows XP Prof bit thanks for any hints and help nbsp

A:GeForce GTX 260 type (TOP, Zotac, EVGA, gigabite OC...)

The Gigabyte GV?-N26SO?-896I? (Super overclock ) version is the best performer of the bunch. It is on par with the GTX 275 in performance and comes with the standard Gigabyte three year warranty.
Review here http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1686

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/geforce-gtx-260-type-top-zotac-evga-gigabite-oc.141780/
Relevancy 23.22%

windows xp pro failed to install correctly. How do I reformat new hard drive so I can start over?

A:Windows XP Pro failed to install correct how do I reformat new hard drive

Whenever you reinstall XP you get the opportunity to reformat the harddrive.
This may be of help http://tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm
On the 4th blue screenshot when presented with your harddrive (partition) press "D" to delete the current partition, the harddrive then becomes "unpartitioned space" then press "C" to create the new partition- specify a partition size, or the whole drive, then highlight the 3rd option (as in the screenshot) "Format the partition using the NTFS file system"- depending on the Harddrive size it might take a while. Once it's finished you're formatted and you continue the install.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-pro-failed-to-install-correct-how-do-i-reformat-new-hard-drive.140749/
Relevancy 24.08%

i bought some used memory from ebay recently. i purchased 2 used gb ddr ram sticks pc3200 for my old asus a7n8x delux. the original 512 stick works fine. ram voltage set at 2.6
with an athlon xp 2500 chip

i dont have another computer to test the ram.

one of the sticks will not allow the computer to boot up. i get the beep but the monitor wont turn on and i get no testing....just a black screen......with a voice from the internal speaker that says my memory test failed.

the other one will do the memory test but will not go past the test screen....

i reset the cmso to see if that would change anything, but it did not. i know asus a7n8x likes certain memory and they have a list......my 512 works fine......its not on the list

A:Memory upgrade failed

Most memory issues are related to defective or incompatible RAM. If you have narrowed it down to that chip and not a defective RAM slot, then its probably the chip.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-upgrade-failed.140543/
Relevancy 24.08%

OK so I have a problem Connection Failed Enabled LAN - I Enabled LAN - Connection Failed ve found two other posts that seem to be fairly recent on having this problem also and no fix yet Problem LAN gets disabled and can not re-enable it Get error message saying quot Connection Failed quot Shortly after trying to enable it Links to other posts about it http forums whatthetech com Please HELP CONNECTION Enabled LAN - Connection Failed FAILED error t html http forums techguy org windows-xp -connection-failed-lan-connection html Currently trying to fix the problem myself but I am looking for outside help Will be posting on both of those forum s shortly after this post to redirect them to here so it can all be joined in post as well as by experts as it seems on this site a lot of people know what they are talking about Now what I am running on is a Toshiba Laptop running Windows XP SP writing this on another computer though as it has no internet I didn t actually disable my LAN I tried one cord and could not connect to the internet Unplugged it and plugged in another one and noticed it got Disabled tried to enable it and it got the same thing quot Connection Failed quot I went into the Device Manager and noticed that the Network Adapter was installed but when I double clicked it it said there quot No Drivers are installed for this device quot But the device does not have an Exclamation mark or an X or anything Device manager shows it is quot Installed quot but the properties say it isn t So I tried to update the driver it found the files and started to update but stalled it shows animation that it is still doing something but hangs on that just repeating the animation Like the other post said it hangs there when trying to uninstall it it hangs when trying to reinstall also Tried to get a driver from Toshiba s website downloaded put on USB flash drive plugged it into the laptop and the laptop does not notice the drive the USB flash drive lights up but no recognition by windows same symptoms as one of the posts above This does not seem to be a very EASY fix I checked all my services the right ones all seem to be on going to post this then check all bios settings Hard drive ram and all that have been tested good Going to post a redirct to this site from those two also Help is Very well apprectiated thanks in advance nbsp

A:Enabled LAN - Connection Failed

I've read the other sites replies back to you. Now let's do it this way..

1. Go here and follow this: method http://www.techspot.com/vb/post832889-2.html
2. On the laptop remove the drivers for wired and wireless then reboot the system
3. After windows restores the drivers
4. After doing step 1 attach the router back to the laptop using wired connection
5. Now setup the router with your cable modem
6. Test the connection and see if you connect?

Note if you don't connect there is a problem with the router and try updating the firmware for it. If you still have the same issue replace the router. Since wired connection is doing the same.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/enabled-lan-connection-failed.139840/
Relevancy 55.9%

Bought 2 laptops both D620. As they said admin not set, system pw not set, Hdd pw not set. I asked before I bought them. And checked bios. But when I boot up, it goes to XP logon screen and it says "insert card or press ctr/ alt/ del. then has two users but needs passwords. I never seen this kind of logon before. Regular password checkers like on herins wont work. Is this just a program installed into windows. Am I ok to try fresh install of xp. Must I reinstall XP.

A:Never seen logon screen like this

After pressing ctr/ alt/ del (you may need to do this twice to get to the logon screen)
Type in : Administrator
Does that get you in?
If not try Safe Mode (F8, before Windows starts up)

If so, create a new account, then log off, and log into that one

Or re-install Windows clean (preferred)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/never-seen-logon-screen-like-this.138693/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello ? Techspot.

I just got a question about dvd media.
There are several dvd type such as following:

BD-R, BD-R DL, BD-RE, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, Mini DVD-R .

I want to know which type of media is the best for "Back-up", "Keep the personal data forever (such as video, files) ?

Also, I want to ask everyone who look at my thread: What type of media are you using ? (I alread list them in the previously).

From
neowing.

A:What is the most popular DVD type?

All the ones with BD in the front are actually types of Blue-Ray discs. Single layer Blue-Ray discs hold 25 gigabytes, and double layer 50, so they would be the best option for back up if your drive supports them. Normal DVD R discs only hold 4.7 gigabytes, and dual layer hold 9.4.

I personally use an external hard drive, not optical storage. Most of my pictures, videos, and music are backed up in other places though, like image hosting websites, my netbook, and my music player.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-most-popular-dvd-type.136505/
Relevancy 23.65%

MY COMPUTER STATS

MOTHERBOARD : GIGABYTE EP45 EXTREME
RAM: (2x) 2GB Ballistix (part number:BL25664AA80A )
VIDEO CARD : GIGABYTE 9800GTX+ 1GB GDDR3
CPU: INTEL Q8200 2.33GHZ CORE 2 QUAD

PROBLEM:

When i boot up my comp, it proceeds to POST and does a failed memory test.
instead of Memory test: ST********** ), it becomes : (Mem or Memory te) and then the computer restarts. You can not access bios page,safe mode or access anything. If im lucky and i am able to get the computer running it will work for like 10-20 minutes and restart, even if im youtubing or just surfing the net.

NOTE: i am using an Award bios

A:Post memory test failed

It fails POST? Are there any beeps when you turn your PC on?

Try removing one stick of RAM and run the PC. See if the problem persists. If you're getting a memory error then run memtest86+ on each module separately.

However, first I'd recommend that you clean the inside of the PC and reset every component on your motherboard after cleaning.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/post-memory-test-failed.136537/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CR Since last evening I m facing a problem with the four arrow keys They type Keyboard junk keys arrow type characters - problem strange characters The up key ends up tying quot oig quot The down key ends up typing a backslash RIght key types quot LJH quot and left key types quot mn quot This is happening in all the applications - office notepad browser etc It s the same characters every time not some random characters For example if I turn the Num Lock on the quot oig quot becomes quot g quot All other keys are working absolutely fine Only these four keys are an issue These also work fine for - mins in between suddenly and then go back to their erratic but predictable ways I tried uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling cleaning the keyboard the keys are absolutely in shape visually As a heavy user of Office I am finding it impossible to handle this even for a day Please help with a solution suggestion nbsp

A:Keyboard problem - arrow keys type junk characters

In our experience with the Vaio keyboards, you have reached the time when a replacment NEW keyboard is the best option.
Sometimes, turning the keyboard upside down and giving it a thorough cleaning with difluoroethane gas such as Dust Off (a lot of it) will take care of it... but not often.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-problem-arrow-keys-type-junk-characters.135662/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hopefully this is the place i need to be to post this question if not I m sorry I am very new to all this so thanks for reading and trying to help me So I have recently become an attic to the world of MMORPG s and have become an absolute World of Warcraft addict and want to play Aion when it comes out in a few weeks I have playing for almost a year now on a very old Dell which could barely handle WoW so I decided to invest in something mid price range for gaming knowing i might need to upgrade a few things for optimal game play The system was actually working great for WoW when my purchase I wondering please, for videocard I need of what help type system should I first got it two weeks ago no lag what so ever in major cities of WoW I need help please, wondering what type of videocard I should purchase for my system with at I need help please, wondering what type of videocard I should purchase for my system least fps in heavliy poplated areas on up in questing areas on totally maxed out settings in the game I was so happy with the system that I purchased a large new quot monitor a few days ago to upgrade from my old quot one Well now my fps is way down and I m bumed out and thinking that I need to upgrade my video card because i went with such a big monitor Hopefully someone can reccomend one that I will be able to afford so my brother or boyfriend can install it After buying a new system and a nice new big monitor to match I really only have - to spend on it but I m willing to go up to If anyone could help me out I would really appricate it Here are my system specs i m readding off the box so if I missed something please let me know General Spec -Brand CyberpowerPC -Model Gamer Ultra -Processor AMD Athlon II X GHz -Processor Main Features bit Dual Core Processor -Cache Per Processor x MB L Cache -Memory GB x GB DDR -Hard Drive GB SATA-II Gb s RPM HDD -Optical Drive X DVD R RW Dual Layer Drive -Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT GB PCI Express Video Card -Audio Sound card - Integrated -Ethernet Gigabit LAN -Power Supply W -Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium -Bit Motherboard Asus M A -CM -Chipset AMD G CPU -CPU Type Athlon II X Installed Qty -CPU Speed GHz -L Cache Per CPU x MB -CPU Socket Type AM -CPU Main Features bit Dual Core Processor Graphics -GPU VPU Type NVIDIA GeForce GT -Graphics Interface PCI Express x Memory -Memory Capacity GB DDR -Memory Speed DDR -Form Factor DIMM -pin -Memory Spec GB x -Memory Slots Available Total -Hard Drive -HDD Capacity GB -HDD Interface SATA II -HDD RPM rpm -Optical Drive -Optical Drive Type DVD RW -Optical Drive Spec X DVD R RW Dual Layer Drive -Audio -Audio Chipset Integrated -Communications -LAN Chipset Integrated -LAN Speed Mbps -Front Panel Ports -Front USB -Front Audio Ports -Back Panel Ports -PS -Video Ports VGA DVI -TV Out -Rear USB -RJ port -Rear Audio Ports ports -Expansion -PCI Slots Available Total x PCI Express x - x PCI Express x - x PCI Hopefully this is the info that someone would need to help me out THANKS AGAIN for your time nbsp

A:I need help please, wondering what type of videocard I should purchase for my system

well for your display i recommend an ati 4870 and here is a nice one right in your budget XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB $149.99 Free Shipping it should play wow and about any other game you throw at it on high settings. also make sure if you buy it to go to the XFX website and register the card within 30 days to get there warranty. well now that i look at your power supply you will need to upgrade it before you can do any video card upgrades Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W this one is $79.99 with free shipping but trust me both are of the highest quality and come highly recommended.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-help-please-wondering-what-type-of-videocard-i-should-purchase-for-my-system.134263/
Relevancy 77.4%

Ive got an Acer 7250g and it was working fine until today.When i turn it on i get "User profile service failed the logon" i cant sign in or do anything-help please.

A:User profile service failed the logon

Welcome to Techspot
If you haven't already done so, this may be a grat place to start and get the 'feel' of this forum,
http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu31.html
The following link may help solve your login problem,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profile-service-failed-the-logon.133880/
Relevancy 24.08%

I can't connect to the internet all of the sudden. I have limited or no connectivity due to the fact that a network did not assign a network address to my computer. It shows that i'm sending packets but not receiving any. I live in an apartment so i don't have a modem since the apartment complex provides the internet. I know the internet works b/c it works when i connect my laptop via lan, so it's definitely my main pc that's the problem. I checked and it says the device is working properly. I've tried rolling back drivers, updating drivers, re-installing OS, using alternate OS, but still no internet. Somebody please help me.

A:LAN internet connection failed. Have tried everything

We need to know computer brand and model, or hardware setup to assist you.
Do you have any red or yellow flags in the Device Manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lan-internet-connection-failed-have-tried-everything.133507/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey everyone I m new to opening and moving things around What Graphics of slot have Card? for I type a do the inside of computers and wanting to learn more about it Ok so I have this Compaq Presario and can t find any information on it over the internet I ve been wanting to play some games below Ghz because thats all it can really take So i What type of slot do I have for a Graphics Card? decided to get GTA San Andreas The problem is that my bulitin graphics card only has a max of MB LAME I want buy a new PC but way way What type of slot do I have for a Graphics Card? way later on in the future Economy So I decided that i wanted to get a new temporary graphics card till I wait this very long time So I searched around Walmart com CHEAPO and found this nicely priced MSI MB PCI-E nVidiaNX GS Graphics Card For ONLY Bucks But it says its a PCI Express card and I don t know if I do have a What type of slot do I have for a Graphics Card? slot to fit The Computer Compaq Presario With -Windows XP SP -AMD Athlon tm XP - GHz MB of Ram I m willing to buy more Ram It s on my list I don t know if this is any helpful but I installed GTA Vice City and it worked fine Nice speed everything besides when I hit A fire hydrant or when it rained or had anything to with water or blood splatter the game would look all funky and had to minimize and bring back when that was over in order for the game to work properly P S If you know what type of card I can use can you send me the link please think Cheap LOL And can you please get link from Walmart Radio Shack Ect Stores Any Good Games PICS DIDNT LET ME I Put Them In Trakback BY THE WAY MY FIRST POST ON ANY WEBSITE FOR HELP THANX nbsp

A:What type of slot do I have for a Graphics Card?

the photos are in h t t p : / / s62.photobucket . com /albums/h107/gomez123098/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-type-of-slot-do-i-have-for-a-graphics-card.132237/
Relevancy 26.23%

i have problem my computer,it has window xp during booting it get very slow so i formatted it but problem still remain then i changed hdd but problem still remain
i can't able to detect problem. it may be possible problem in motherboard or bios or cmos bettery

A:XP booting process is very slow

What is the brand and model of computer or motherboard? What is the age of the hard drive? What memory is installed? And what are you using for antivirus and antispyware.
The CMOS battery is not known as a cause for a slowdown.
One problem going around now is with Internet Explorer 8... You might try removing that and seeing if it is still slow in Internet Explorer 6.1
But the usual suspects are bad hard drive, bad or inadequate memory, and bad infestations of spyware. The first thing I would do is download and run Avast, or perhaps Avira Antivir and run their full scan. Then use Spyware Doctor full version or SpySweepere, or SuperAntiSpyware and Malware bytes, and see what they find... remove all, and get back to us.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-booting-process-is-very-slow.132268/
Relevancy 26.23%

I m looking for some help please My computer was giving New of event HDD/XP lots gets stuck errors booting, viewer me lots of BSOD slowed stuck bootups and errors originated New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors from Device Harddisk D in my event viewer My hard drive failed generic long tests and had bad clusters so I got a new hard drive installed it New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors with XP and it was fine for a week Then my computer would boot New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors to a blank screen and wouldn t boot in safe mode So I yesterday reinstalled XP again and now it s staying on the XP loading screen but never actually loading Safe boot got stuck as soon as I went into event viewer I managed to get it to start up normally just now and I am seeing these errors in event viewer -Error event ID The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk D -Warning event ID An error was detected on device Device Harddisk D during a paging operation -Error event ID The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error A device attached to the system is not functioning That same error repeats only instead of DHiverCP NetBios it s DNS Client TCP IP Protocol Driver and IPSEC -Error event The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Aavmker AFD AmdK AsIO asuskbnt aswSP aswTdi Fips IPSec MRxSmb NetBIOS NetBT ohci RasAcd Rdbss Tcpip Does this appear to be a hardware issue or is there a problem with the copy of Windows I obtained I m so frustrated I almost want to buy a premade from Dell and forget about it My current system specs Asus M N-SLI Deluxe mobo AMD Athlon X GB Corsair -Pin DDR SDRAM Please help nbsp

A:New HDD/XP gets stuck booting, lots of event viewer errors

It appears that you have a nice system, if you can get it back to normal.
We have to suspect other hardware, since two hard drives have similar symptoms... but you may have copied evil stuff from the one drive to the other. How did you transfer files? Or an infestation.
What did you use to scan your system for virus and spyware infestations?
Have you carefully checked your cables... or even tried replacing them temporarily?
Examine all sockets for dirt and debris, and clean your system thoroughly but carefully.
You may need to rule out some things that do not seem part of the problem... as it may be a long and slow process to figger out where the problem is... I would start, if the drive will work well enough, by running MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes, which ever is longer... or removing half the memory to test the other half, then switching.
We always suspect the cables first. They can fail and look good.
Any defective hardware part can cause problems elsewhere if the conditions are right... so I would begin by making a check list, then trading out everything on the list... video card, modem even if not used, ethernet connection or software, .
I would also try another drive and cable... any other drive, even using the first drive, fully reformatted and reinstalled with Windows and basic software....
Windows will not normally cause these of problem, but if you have scratches or smudges that would make it difficult to read, then you could theoretically introduce errors... unlikely though that is.
You could have an optical drive error that is not seeing the software properly.
But it is also possible that your Asus board, good as it is, has a defect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hdd-xp-gets-stuck-booting-lots-of-event-viewer-errors.131519/
Relevancy 23.22%

just installed a new tb hd
does not show in device manager
does show in disk manager but shows as failed
so i cannot format
please help
thanks in advance!

A:Can't format new sata drive, failed in disk manager

You might have to update your motherboard bios in order to use this TB hard drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-format-new-sata-drive-failed-in-disk-manager.131523/