Windows Support Forum

Problem with changing WD external harddrive case

Q: Problem with changing WD external harddrive case

Hey guys Excuse my lack of proper harddrive Problem WD with external case changing terminology I am new to these things Recently my gb WD external hard drive had the USB port connection on the hard drives circuit board break off So Problem with changing WD external harddrive case I went and bought a new case from my local computer shop I had originally taken my HD to see if they could solder the usb port thing back on to the circuit board but they said they don t do repairs So he looked at my HD and told me which case would be best for it I come home and follow his instructions and remove the circuit board from which the usb port fell off from which also supplied the power and connected to the SATA power port on the HD and put it in to the new housing When I connect it to my laptop it does not show up under My Computer However in my icon tray it shows a USB device has connected and it gives me the option of removing it safely I can hear the HD starting up when it gets plugged in but nothing else happens When I removed the HD from its new case and put the old circuit board bit back on and manually held the usb with the usb port connection on to the circuit board from where it came off from I am able to get it recognized by the computer and the WD software for the password prompt starts up So I know my HD is functioning I just cant get it to function in its new case Any help would be much appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Problem with changing WD external harddrive case

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Problem with changing WD external harddrive case

Is the new case powered in the same way as the old case? If yes, I would return the case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-changing-wd-external-harddrive-case.196556/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello;

I want to replace the old 40 gb harddrive in my desktop pc with a larger one. I am hoping there is a way I can format and partition a new PATA harddrive in my external harddrive case and set up the replacement hardrive with my original restore disk. Is this possible? I have windows xp pro operating system. My computer system is an HP DC5000. I know when I buy a new hardrive some formating is required to begin using it, but can all this be done via an external drive case? If so are there step by step instructions? Im a newbie but anxious to learn. Thanks for any help or advice. Oh I forgot to mention my computer only holds one hard drive.

Relevancy 62.78%

Hey I have a Maxtor external Harddrive like 120 GB. I managed to mix up the power sources for it between my laptop and the Maxtor Drive. So I went to turn on the maxtor and it didn't come on. I noticed the wrong power adapter was connected to it so I go to take it out and found the right one, and that didn't work either. I am getting no response from it. I can tell the power source works because this dim green light is on the power cord. Other than that I thikn it may be dead.

The output of the laptop adapter is : 16V compared to 12 V for the correct adapter.

Anyone know if this is a lost cause or a temporary thing? Im hopeful I can get this back up but im not sure.

A:External Harddrive Problem :(

You have probably at least smoked the internal P/S in the external drive. There's a good chance you took out the drive too, since that 12V goes directly to the drive.

I'd take the drive out of the case and connect it to a desktop and see if it's still alive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-problem.425260/
Relevancy 62.78%

And year ago my cousin gifted me an external hard drive which is -Toshiba External Hard Drive - USB - GB -USB It worked perfectly on my old laptop and my old computer Recently I bought a new computer with the specs ------------------------------ Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Mb Hard Drives TB Motherboard Intel Corporation DH TC Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled ------------------------ And when I plug it in the hard drive appears for sometime such as when I copy something form the computer to the Hard Drive which is MB it copies it and disappears And this message appears - The file is not found The file you are looking for does not exist This problem occurs for my new computer only I tried plugging External HardDrive ! Problem this Hard Drive in other computer And it works fine This is my problem I have many important files on that Hard Disk I External HardDrive Problem ! ve tried searching the Internet but nothing works That s why I m posting it here Please help me solve this problem as soon as possible nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hey All As you can see this is my first post on this forum and my username basically is self explanatory So in keeping with this thought i have to say that i recently brought a Maxtor GB external harddrive from Maplins I used it for about a month and backed up all my data onto it I then went on holiday for weeks and came back and used the harddrive for about a week Just yesterday i was using it and my feet got caught Another Harddrive External Problem up in the usb wire as i went to answer the door and the external hard drive fell dropping about cms roughly an the wire fell straight out Not a good thing After that i plugged it back in and tried using it but my laptop does not detect anything Ive checked in my computer and checked the devices manager in the properties and nothing i even disconnected the external harddrive and rebooted the Another External Harddrive Problem laptop and nothing not even a quot usb device has been connected message quot The thing is the USB wire that connects into the external hard drive is very loose If you go to plug the USB wire into the external hardrive it feels very loose Im scared now because ive backed up virtualy everything onto my hard drive - my university work holiday pictures music etc so any help would be very appreciated With that in mind here are my questions Is there any way of recovering data from the hard drive without opening it Another External Harddrive Problem or taking it to a technician Does anyone think Maplin may be able to help me with this situation or do you think because its out of the day return policy they wouldnt care The external harddrive is still under warranty do you think it might be worth giving them a ring to see what they say The problem that i am faced with is that I dropped it which means im worried that both maxtor warranty technicians and Maplin staff wont want to help as they will say its broken due to negligence As i said it has some VERY important stuff on there and really need it Please help and excuse me for my stupidness nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Howdy

I have a Lacie external harddrive. I think it is 1 TB. Anyway it doesnt get used alot and when I swiched it on today it took ages to appear in My Computer. I had a couple of random Messages from Windows saying I needed to re fromat it before I could use it.

The thing is I dont want to reformat it yet as there is a lot of valluable data on it. I can enter the drive via My Computer but when I try to copy it out the green progress bar doesnt seem to progress. I am trying to copy out a 166GB folder and it says it is going to take about 1 hour. It has said that for a while now and has only transfered 1.28GB in a half hour or so.

Am I in big trouble or is there something I can do to fix it long enough to get the data out.

Thanks

A:EXTERNAL Harddrive problem

I would say that your drive has a severe problem. It seems to be a hardware problem and I think it's dying. Save your files, as much as you can.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/400625-external-harddrive-problem.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I just purchased a PS3 and am having a hard time with the external hdd. (640gb if important)

At first, it would not even recognize the drive, even though I formatted it Fat32.

After Googling suggestions, it said to format the first partition to Fat32, which I did and it now recognizes the drive.

The problem is, it says there is nothing on the drive, even though there is a movie and a music album.

I created 2 folders - video and music and the video i formatted AVI- also tried mp4.

I thought the problem might be the first unallocated partition, but I can't seem to wipe that partition -I used Minitool Partition Wizard.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

A:PS3 external harddrive problem

have you named the folders exactly as it is on the ps3, Video not video

Link just in case:
http://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-Extern...-PlayStation-3

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/319722-ps3-external-harddrive-problem.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have an integral external harddrive connected via usb, up until yesterday it was working fine , when you turned it on a box would appear giving different options as to what I wanted to do with the files on the drive......... now when the drive is turned on I do not get that options pop up screen.......if I go into windows explorer the drive is recognised as being there but if I click on it I get the "waiting/loading/doing something" icon then a message saying "you need to format the disk in drive h before you can use it. do you want to format it ? "

im obviously not very technical and have no idea what to do or why this sudennly stopped working.I have alot of stuff stored on this hd that I would very much like to be able to accesss again so please any help would be appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-external-harddrive.199591/
Relevancy 62.78%

Ok so my external harddrive was Problem Harddrive External working fine a few days External Harddrive Problem ago but I just replugged it in and it has stopped working completely It s an iomega one So since the last time I ve used it it has been in my laptop bag and that has only been for around weeks and it hasn t really travelled much really My computer does not show that the drive exists but when I click add hardware it shows that a USB mass External Harddrive Problem storage drive exists but for some reason it does not come up as an external I tried updating External Harddrive Problem the driver to no avail I tried rebooting the external and that didn t work I attempted to use the external on both my winxp and my ubuntu computers and it didn t work on both WINxp was the one with the previous problems and the linux said that it could not mount the drive and I m pretty sure I ve done it before but im not positive What could be wrong with my external and how can I fix it Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I recently fliped my external drive to the side while it was still pluged in. It made a grinding noise and shut off. Now it powers up, the pc makes a connected sound but then the red light comes on the drive. I assume I bent the reading tip on it. Anyway to fix this, and/or recover files from the drive or I am screwed

alex

A:External Harddrive problem

Open it up, take out the hard drive, set it as slave & put it in your computer. i doubt the harddrive is bad. HDDs are tougher than that .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-problem.506308/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello I recently bought a GB external Problem External Harddrive Harddrive and put a lot of stuff on it I read in the manual it says not to unplug it or anything while using files from within it It was on but I wasnt using anything in it so i thought id turn it off to see if it would work again when i turned it back on but now when i open the drive theres nothing in it and i do a space check and it tells me this much space is used and this much free space i cant find my files or anything but it tells me theyre there I got a message once telling me it was corrupt and i had to run scan disk so i did that and on the last phase the checking free space it stops at and it doesnt move anymore at all is there anything i can do to get my files back nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Recently, my motherboard fired, but the Hard drive was uneffected. Since i had a lot of info on the hard drive i tryed to find people who could take the info off the hard drive for me. I then had this great idea of just putting my hard drive into a "Hard Drive Enclosure Kit". Well, i did that and it worked great. But theres one problem, I can't seem to get into the Owner folder of the hard drive, for evey time i do, it brings up.

L: \Documents and Settings\Owner is not accesible

Access is deniedClick to expand...

Do i have to manually install the hard drive into my computer (and how?), or theres jsut no way in?

Relevancy 62.78%

My computer says it recognizes it when I now plug it in, but when I try to access the drive, there is nothing there.

I did the basic things, like check the device manager to see if it's working, reinstalled the driver, turned off the option for windows to shut down a usb port if too much power. I have nothing else plugged into my usb, so it couldn't be bandwith issues.

I also tried it on a few of my friend's computers, but either it doesn't even recognize it at first, or it has the same problem as me.

The brand is diamond 080G 2B5400 Fanton Drive. I can't even find a site for it, that's how cheap the harddrive was.

A:I have a problem with my external harddrive.

Have you formatted it?
You need to go to disk management start>run> type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.
Create an extended partition in the unallocated space.
Now create a logical drive in the new partition and format with NTFS.
Once done you should be able to copy files etc to the new partition

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-have-a-problem-with-my-external-harddrive.501933/
Relevancy 62.78%

hi i have just recently brought a external harddrive from a friend it worked fine on his computer (xp) and i also i have (xp). i managed to get it to register on my computer but this is very tempremental i have gone through dick manager etc. but when it does register and i want to transfer files to it or from it it kinda disconects. and a warning message comes up. yellow triangle and black exclamation mark. although it still shoes the safely remove icon in taskbar. can anyone help me.

cheers
iammetoday

A:usb external harddrive problem

Try this and see if it helps.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-external-harddrive-problem.414541/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi, i have a iomega external harddrive that just died, the power would not turn on, is there any way to fix it

thanks in advance

Relevancy 62.78%

I m having a problem with a Western Digital external harddrive model wd It uses its own power supply and is connected by USB I ve had it for a few years and never had a problem with it I haven t used it in a long time and I tried to hook it up to a vista prem vista pack machine The following things occur At first the computer doesnt detect it The harddrive light comes on but no action on the computer I ll try and go into my computer External help problem.. Harddrive and see if it shows the icon It has a good hunk of data on it The icon does not come up no matter what I do Then out of nowhere my quot my computer quot folder will stop responding I ve tried to increase and decrease the priority and nothing Although as soon as I unplug the usb from the computer The windows starts responding instantly I ve did some basic computer checking like disabling the firewall repairing the registry and trying different usb ports out of desperation I went into computer management and then storage but when the device is plugged up It goes to not responding Before I give up and take the data as a loss Can anyone think of a way to resolve this nbsp

A:External Harddrive problem.. help

The 1st thing you need to do is determine if the problem is in the hard drive, or in the adapter in the enclosure.

The only way to do this (I am aware of) is to remove the hard drive from the enclosure, and connect the drive internally to a desktop computer.

I find in my business with most externals that come in with problems, the problem is in the adapter in the enclosure rather than the drive itself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-problem-help.840363/
Relevancy 61.92%

I just bought a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk external Boot harddrive with external problem hard drive TB off Newegg a couple days ago Its great huge amounts of space transfers really fast My only problem which I noticed by accident is that if my pc is restarted with the hard drive plugged into any Boot problem with external harddrive usb port my pc won t Boot problem with external harddrive boot It gets to the Dell logo with the boot menu and options and after that sits at a black screen I didn t mess with any boot options but I did look at them I think the Boot problem with external harddrive order is HDD DVD rom then my external harddrive When I manually go to boot options and boot from hdd or my dvd drive with my windows disk inserted but it still won t boot if the external is plugged in Soon as I remove it and reboot it works absolutely fine Edit So just realized another partial issue with this I tried to go into the bios settings again to completely disable usb from the boot order and upon hitting save and exit when it reboots and I go into the bios settings again every option is set to default My boot order reset to Internal HDD USB DVD and a few other things after I also for the hell of it tried to change the usb fullspeed to hispeed and this too was reverted back to fullspeed Any ideas It s not a huge issue but it is an inconvenience as I have to go to the back of my pc and unplug it every time i restart Oh and pc specs people usually want to know those I have a Dell Inspiron Windows bit Intel Core Quad Q GHz GB ram ATI Radeon nbsp

A:Boot problem with external harddrive

Some motherboards simply won't boot with a USB drive attached. With that being said, any fixes would come from Dell in the form of a BIOS update. Check the Dell site to see if one is available.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-problem-with-external-harddrive.1015909/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi I recently brought a Western Digital quot Wd Elements quot gb external harddrive I plugged it in and it worked perfectly In properties it showed it was a gb harddrive gb Today I used a program called External Problem? Solved: harddrive quot hdclone free quot I tried to use this program to backup my gb internal harddrive Solved: External harddrive Problem? After starting the program and copying data from my internal gb to my external gb for about mins I Solved: External harddrive Problem? decided to stop the process because it was going to take hours to back up all my data So I stopped quot hdclone free quot Rebooted the pc and went to my external gb to delete anything which had been copied over I went in to properties on my external hd and noticed that my storage capacity of my external hd had been reduced to gb from gb So effectively I have a gb external Harddrive I think hdclone free must have made a copy of my gb hd and maybe somehow partitioned it to my external hd How do I get my external hd back to gb If I need to reformat or partition can you give me step by step help on how to do that please Im using Win Xp Thanks Uly nbsp

A:Solved: External harddrive Problem?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

Right-click and remove the current partitions. Make new ones.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-harddrive-problem.701029/
Relevancy 61.92%

Okay, so come to computer and black screen....no bootable drives. reseat the harddrive and run recovery...get machine back running.

everything is alright now after security essentials discovered a few viruses...but on an external harddrive....I can't access one particular folder. rephrase, I can access it, just can't open files on it. I have tried changing permissions every way possible and it wont' work. Added everyone, users, admin etc. and nothing works. I try to click a movie file...no dice. Try to open an nfo file...error "cannot open file". No matter what I do, none of those files in that particular folder work. Try to open a sub folder...you dont have permission..click to permanently get permission. Opens fine but like I say the files within won't wokr.

other files on external work fine...no worries. Any advice?

A:External Harddrive Permissions Problem

If you can right click on the files check the properties and see if they're all 0 sized. It maybe something in that folder caused the computer to crash and corrupted your files. If there's just movies in the folder not sure what to do to repair them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-harddrive-permissions-problem-541669.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hey guys been a long time since I needed to post something here And honestly when this problem came up this forum was the first External Harddrive Problem Sudden place that popped into my head I hope someone here has some insight So here s the problem I have a Sudden External Harddrive Problem Western Digital External Harddrive it looks similar I got it for Christmas about Sudden External Harddrive Problem two years ago Worked like a charm up until tonight I ve never had a problem with it I kept it clean and kept all the vents clear of any thing that might clog them up never dropped or abused it Then tonight I plug it in since I have literally EVERYTHING on it to listen to some music and lo and behold this message pops up quot You need to format the disk in drive F before you can use it Do you want to format it quot Naturally I freaked the hell out and hit no I tried rebooting my computer but it s still the same At the moment I have no other computer my desktop is in storage it also ran perfectly fine on there other than my laptop so I can t check to see if it s a problem with my laptop or the XHD itself and I don t have the money to go out and buy another one even at it s cheapest price My laptop I got just last Christmas is a Toshiba Satellite Not sure if that makes a difference and runs Vista I just used it Friday when I played some music so I don t really know why it s doing this or if it s just randomly quot died quot I did have the foresight to backup some files but I didn t have enough CDs to back up all gigs of my music gt lt Anyways if anyone has had the same problem or knows why it s doing this I would love some help or insight to why this is happening so suddenly Thank you nbsp

A:Sudden External Harddrive Problem

Things break.

Probably the first thing to try is connecting to a different computer. If that doesn't do it, I'd be thinking of taking the drive out and connecting it directly to a desktop IDE adapter for data recovery. You are much more limited with a USB connection attempting to recover data.

I think you forgot the Cardinal rule of data storage.

Remember: Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sudden-external-harddrive-problem.782043/
Relevancy 61.92%

Model HD16OUES-72 - USB

it was running fine for 6 months ... then just yesterday i accidently droped it (1 feet in height ) then my comp crash that night so i turned off everything and went to sleep, woke up this morning, turned on everything and my comp could not pick up the external hard drive -

the hard drive first blink blue...while making this robotic sound...then it stop making sound then begin blinking red to blue - i read the site manual and it said red blinking light mean its writing /etc something ....but it doesnt look like it =/ or is not the case

i tryed restarting in many different situation....google the "red blinking light" but couldnt find any who had similar situation...

anyone care to explain and resolve this problem?

thank in advance =/

A:Acomdata external harddrive problem

I'd take the enclosure apart and try connecting the actual hard drive inside your computer to see if you can read the data off it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/acomdata-external-harddrive-problem.591087/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello, I have original Windows 8.1 and everything worked well until month ago. I had connected WD HDD as 'backup' for my projects, and Medion Drive-n-go for other stuff. Those were connected 24/7. One day I turned on computer and booth HDDs weren't visible in My Computer. I was looking in Computer Management (Storage) and it wasn't there. Then I tried to plug in some USB 32gb and it didn't show up aswell. I tried all of my HDDs and USBs on laptop and they work perfect. Windows cannot install drivers 'Windows could not find drivers for your device'.

A:USB External HardDrive Problem (Drivers)

Welcome to the forum!

Could give this a try, uninstall problem devices then reboot: View any installed/connected USB device on your system

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/59262-usb-external-harddrive-problem-drivers.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Note : Im sorry If I posted this on the wrong section , kinda need help , Its urgent!!

-----------

Alright , I bought a new external hard drive

500 Gb , WD Smartware External harddrive , And I put it into my Desktop to copy some files , When I started copying 1 movie it said The file could not be copied or whatever and it said something about an I/O device error

This happened to my old hard drive but It didnt matter to me , the thing is I got this yesterday ....

I dont know what the problem is , I was copying files , while its copying it came up with an error saying the file could not be copied and something about an I/O device error , Please help me guys , I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Relevancy 61.06%

Hello I ve got a problem I recently bought a MyBook TB Home Edition by Western Digital This is an external hard-drive on USB and BIOS, external harddrive-problem startup I was so stupid a while ago to BIOS, startup and external harddrive-problem go mess around in the msconfig screen from run In that screen i started to delete a couple of files that seemed unnecessary to me but now every time I start BIOS, startup and external harddrive-problem up my pc says invalid BIOS starting up from C windows That is problem Problem two is that I can t start up my pc with my harddrive plugged in I ve been having this problem for a while now and it s getting really annoying right now I think it s a problem with the bios settings as in problem because it stops the starting up process when the motherboard-screen shows on my monitor The light on my pc shows that it s really busy but nothing happens and it just stays on the motherboard-screen Once I ve plugged out my harddrive I restart it and then it does work I m sorry for my bad english I m dutch Please help Greetz Koen nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

This is part of an ongoing problem for me.

After having no success doing it manually, I have decided to purchase this program
Paragon Migrate to help me move everything onto my shiny new SSD...

Now my problem is that my Win7 Laptop will not recognise the SSD (I have it plugged into an external enclosure). Very strange as I can access it perfectly fine from my old Win XP machine upstairs..

Question being - Is there a reason that windows 7 won't recognise this drive? and what can I do to solve the problem?

It's a pain in the ass because I thought that buying that software would be the end to my ongoing upgrade issues.

Thanks in advance.

Shane

A:Problem detecting 2.5" external SSD harddrive

Will the HD show in BIOS?

Take a look at this Tutorial:
SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/169889-problem-detecting-2-5-external-ssd-harddrive.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,

I have this folder contain one file, this file that I trying to delete causing my Explorer.exe hang for very long. I restarted several times yet computer become lagging and firefox delaying to shown up.

This file name call ~uTorrentPartFile_4A15F7AB9.dat.

How to solve. please help. My computer become crazy now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-on-my-external-harddrive-cant-delete-one-specific-file-in-the-folder.873422/
Relevancy 59.34%

So I got an external harddrive that's 320GB. My dog knocked it over and now it keeps making a ticking sound. The warranty is void so I might have to manually repair it.

This is the harddrive:
http://www.iomagic.com/Products/sho...ProdID=I320HD35

It turns on fine, but it keeps making a strange ticking sound. It isn't getting detected by the PC. I fear a component may have fallen out of place.

Can someone walk me through how to manually repair this problem? Also, some precautions I should take? I've never done this before.

A:How to Repair I/O Magic 320GB External Harddrive Ticking Sound Problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-repair-i-o-magic-320gb-external-harddrive-ticking-sound-problem.537764/
Relevancy 57.19%

Looking to buy an external hard drive for backup. This will be used only to backup data periodically. This is certainly a good price ($140):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1474205

I've never heard of it. Anyone have any experience with that brand?

A:Opinions on BeyondMicro External Hard Drive?-or recommendations on External Case?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opinions-on-beyondmicro-external-hard-drive-or-recommendations-on-external-case.381320/
Relevancy 56.76%

I realize one is just an enclosure and you provide the harddrive, and one is a true harddrive, but which is better and whats really the difference?

Relevancy 56.76%

Hello,

My desktop computer's motherboard was fried in a tragic lightning accident, but the hard drive is intact. I would like to purchase an enclosure for the hard drive and use it as an external hard drive. I'm posting here because I'm worried about compatibility.

Here are the hard drive details:
Seagate, S/N 90Z7588X
ST 380215A
P/N 9CY011-305
Firmware 3.AAD
Date code 08257
Barracude 7200.10
80 Gbytes

Will that work with any of these enclosures:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817158012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173047
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acom...sem/rpsm/oid/206486/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Thank you in advance for any help!

A:External Harddrive from Old Computer Harddrive

Any 3.5" IDE compatible drive enclosure will do the trick. I use a ThermalTake enclosure myself (same as MadDog and CompUSAs no-name brand).

Courtney

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-from-old-computer-harddrive.735999/
Relevancy 56.33%

HI Im planing amd/pentium??? & power,cpu,harddrive,case on building my own computer I have a power,cpu,harddrive,case & amd/pentium??? few questions to ask now and most likely more to come First things first What type of computer do I want Im going for top of the line Im about to purchase power,cpu,harddrive,case & amd/pentium??? a pentium which I was going to get for my current comp since Im going to make a new computer should I make it an amd based one Whats the difference Im looking for a speed machine Since im power,cpu,harddrive,case & amd/pentium??? going for speed what motherboard should I get For memory I was planning on using mb kinston ram or anything else you guys suggest to go best with the system With a hard drive im planning on using a Maxtor GB hd with mb buffer Im going to use ati Radeon pro mb for my graphics card Im sticll thinking of which type of sound card any suggestions I already have dvdrw combp drive and floppy drive Im going to use apexs TU- w mid tower case since its ghz ready any other suggestions for a case would be nice to I have a inch sony lcd doing nothing and watt altec lancing speakers still in the box Keyboard and mouse are both wireless logitec got them for birthday never used them Again Im looking for the fastest and best stuff I can get any suggestions or changes you think i should ame just go ahead and tell me thanks ALOT for anything you guys post Im sorry for putting so many questions I just trust you guys everything I know about computers has been here well most of it Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

I currently own a computer with a case i m not satisfied with I am planning to buy a PC case I will get one of these http www overclockers co uk showproduct php prodid CA- -CM http www overclockers co uk showproduct php prodid CA- -AK amp groupid amp catid amp subcat http www overclockers co uk showproduct PC Changing case. a php prodid CA- -AN lt -- most Changing a PC case. likely But what i need to know If my motherboard will fit in there And what about the back panel with all the connection holes etc Will it all fit are all the same etc My motherboard specs Form Factor ATX Form Factor cm x cm CPU Support Socket LF-LGA Intel Core Quad Core Duo and Pentium Dual Core processors FSB MHz s Chipset NVIDIA nForce i System Memory x -pin DDR SDRAM DIMM slots Single Channel DDR DIMMs up to MHz Supports up to GB system memory RAM Non-ECC RAM memory only Audio Realtek ALC S audio codec High Definition Audio subsystem channel support Supports HDMI output Network Realtek RTL Mbit Expansion Slots x PCI Express X x PCI Express X x PCI Drive Support x PATA IDE x SATA source http support packardbell com uk item index php i spec diego s amp ppn PB X nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a new case for my computer and was wondering if I can just move everything from my old case to the new case? This is the case I want to get

This is My computer

There are memory card readers, USB and headphones things are in front of my case. http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9132/im000765xd5.jpg the one marked yellow is 4 memory card reader + USB in a rectangle that's about the size of a floppy drive. The other one marked white is for headphone, 2 USB, and 1 ‘1394’ USB thing. The back of my case might have this similar thing as well. Are these things part of the case or motherboard? Would I be able to move these? What if the case I want to get doesn’t have the back one where my speakers go?
Thanks in advance,
Henry

A:Changing case

The card reader is removable and is not part of any motherboard, the USB, firewire and audio ports if at the front as in a panel then they MAY be removable depending on case design, if they're at the back then no they are not removable. Even if the USB, firewire and audio ports panel is removable there's really no point in removing as the Soprano already have these ports at the top.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-case.502422/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hey Guys i Decided to Buy a New Gaming Casing Which is CM STORM Trooper Full Tower Gaming Case and my Current case is Cooler Master Elite 370 so i wanna ask is my all of Current Hardware Can fit inside the new Case ? Thanks in Advance
-B

A:Changing Case

Hm, and what's "your current hardware"? Sorry but my crystal ball is currently under maintenance

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/67892-changing-case.html
Relevancy 54.18%

My desktop motherboard recently died or so I believe My system began making the typical system beeping noises when something is off I was forced to hard reboot On restart my machine hung on the BIOS I was once again forced to hard restart only this time the computer made no attempt to boot at Out Harddrive Changing all It is essentially lifeless The power supply still lights up but nothing is working I assumed that was a motherboard issue I decided I could use an old system whose motherboard did still work I parted out the valuable parts from my Changing Out Harddrive old desktop- the RAM the drives the PCI cards etc Only when I hooked up my harddrive to the old machine the BIOS loaded and then I was transferred to a black screen with a blinking cursor and it hangs there To avoid the simple Q amp A here are a few more details -I received several messages from my BIOS when trying different configurations and connections for the drive Every time I hooked the drive up in correctly I was given an error I am very certain that the drive is hooked up correctly - I have disabled every single drive and add on in the BIOS The computer is only looking for a primary hard drive - My hard drive does not have a standard configuration The drive has two partitions C and D Windows resides on D Windows is also in a quot Windows quot folder rather than Windows because I had a severe crash and it was the only way to salvage my original files from the original quot Windows quot folder Any suggestions would be much appreciated I will gladly answer any further questions that I am able to nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

Does anyone have an easy way to change the case (upper to lower) for many files?

Thanks for any assistance.

A:Changing file name case

Found "spacetornado Renamer" that works well.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/220029-changing-file-name-case.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi,

I have basically rebuilt my emachine t3306, but now i want to change cases. I have the new case. It is a black 702 matrix. I went to change the case, but had no luck it said that I did have an OS. I then put the old case back togeather. I've had a few friends look at it and they got the same response. Anybody have an idea? I know that it is a FIC K8M-800M Mainboard.( http://www.emachine-upgraders.info/dir1/motherboards/socket754/fick8m800m.shtml ). Please respond or email me at [email protected] . Thanks.

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all, if i was to change my PC case for another, would it be as straightforward as just moving all the hardware from one to the other, and plugging in the front panel connectors?

Cheers

A:Solved: Changing PC case

As longs as the form factor is the same (ATX, mATX etc) or larger than what you have and it is not a proprietary design like you see on some major brands, it should not be an issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-pc-case.1042472/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi

I changed my case and psu, made it all very tidy, using lots of cable ties and when i powered up, no output was displayed on my monitor.

Specs:
Processor: P4 3gh 478 Chipset
CPU Cooler: Scythe Katana 2 CPU Cooler
RAM: 1GB Corsair
MOBO: ASRock P4i65G
Graphics: ATi Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro AGP
PSU: Coolmaster 460
Monitor: Benq FP93GWa

Things i have tried:
Changing back to old PSU
Trying onboard graphics
Different Monitors Old Relisys 14" TFT
Different Graphics Card - ATi Radeon 9200
Using older MOBO - ASUS P4P800-E
Stripped it down to the bare, nothing but CPU and onboard graphics
Reset CMOS

Was previously dual booting XP/Ubuntu fine until i changed the case. Anyone got any ideas? Dont want to buy loads of new components, I just spent a lot getting upgrades for that dying system and getting a laptop.

*skratches head*

A:No output after changing case

I ran it outside of the case and it worked! Thanks!

Just finished putting it back in the case and its working. Not sure why though. Strange, its been giving me a head ache for the past two days and that worked and its installing windows right now.

Once again. Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-output-after-changing-case.103434/
Relevancy 53.32%

hi i have two laptops i m not showing off one an ipc and the other a medion see the IPC laptop has been overheating like crazy it is out of warranty so i took the processor out and now i can t get the bugger back in it s a pin push and slide lever but the bugger won t shift i think the contact s on the plastic inset where the chip sits are damaged anyway now i have taken the HDD out of the in harddrive changing laptop IPC and want to put it in the medion but when i did this the winXP screen started to emerge then Wham blue screen with your computer is buggered it may be your HDD etc and some numbers now the HDD was fine when last used in the other Laptop it is a Gb HDD whereas in the medion is a Gb so does changing harddrive in laptop anyone know why this might be help on either prob would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

Hello! I have a problem after I changed my harddrive AND installed windows 7 home premium on my laptop. I can not get access to the internet, it only says "Install a driver for your network adapter. Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter." What?? I cant find any network devices in device manager either. What do I do? I have a Acer Aspire V3-571 intel core i3-2310M. Internet was no problem before I had to buy a new harddrive and install Windows 7

A:Trouble after changing harddrive

When you reinstall, you must also install some drivers. Windows 7 will install some drivers but not all. Your Laptop vendor's download for your specific model should get you whatever you need.

As I noted Win 7 will install some drivers but in general an install is (1) Install Windows (2) Install motherboard chipset drivers (3) Install Device drivers such as Video, PC Vendor sound drivers, Ethernet and/or Wi-Fi, etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/257492-trouble-after-changing-harddrive.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I ghosted a harddrive upgrade on a thinkpad R40.
The new drive booted OK but immediately after administrator ID it said that I failed a security check and shut down.
How can I work-around this?

Relevancy 52.89%

hi, i just recently change my computer case, and i plug in everything right, but now, it won't turn on. I plug the jumper and everything right, and it still won't turn on. any help would be grateful. thanks

Relevancy 52.89%

If you thought this was a tutorial sorry it's not Use google Short version of the story below this huge ball of words Anywhu to the topic I've been getting BSODs about my SSD and was told by both pros and friends this was something I couldn't do much about Something issues changing primary harddrive. Having about bad firmware and stuff check my PC stats at the end of the post i think this SSD is known to have issues so I went to OCZs homesite found sum firmware update stuff and downloaded the toolbox and it's manual In big red letters it said I had to change to ACHI mode done already by dem ppl who put together my pc and NOT have the SSD drive in question run as primary drive OS drive So i just put in the windows installation CD that came with the PC reinstalled windows on my other drive a HDD Western Digital of some green sort TB and booted through it At the beginning it did Having issues changing primary harddrive. all the Having issues changing primary harddrive. usual stuff Ask for what password and user n shit Then after login i noticed I couldn't connect to the internetz also my resolution was pinned down at a max of x with some old-style design Later I discovered I had no drivers for the network thing and something else probably went wrong HOWEVER I could easly reboot change the boot drive and go back to normal on my SSD which I am in right now I have a strong feeling I have done something terribly wrong as i didn't do anything with the OS files or configurations on the SSD users in one user wut probably screwing up something Thanks to the guy who actually read this whole thing help and or helpfull responses are much apprectiated Short Reinstalled windows on secondary drive to update firmware on primary SSD no removal just installation on the secondary drive no internet or screen drivers on that OS and can easly go back to the last OS through BIOS boot stuff Oh yeah I'm pretty much new to BIOS configuration and harddrives Only knowledge I got is coding and how to put a PC together If you need pictures of anything just ask

A:Having issues changing primary harddrive.

Sounds like you need to install your motherboard chipset drivers, graphic card drivers and your Nic (network card) drivers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/204339-having-issues-changing-primary-harddrive.html
Relevancy 52.46%

This is my first post here because this forum seems to actually have members that offer help which is rare these days Sorry about the long post but I ll put some info and links to make life easier on you I picked up a case for a after changing case Onboard audio quit friend and swaped out the guts on problem His seemed to boot fine neon worked usb fans etc The next day he said he couldn t get the sound working so I went over and spend hours trying to figure out how the hell this happened with onboard audio The board is a FIC AM from an emachines box with with the AC Codec embedded in the VIA chipset I ve tried every driver possible and no sound Tried repairing the XP pro installation hoping fresh OS files would work The main issue is that there is Onboard audio quit after changing case a Onboard audio quit after changing case few different drivers for the AC codec that I found and none match up- or at least none work The bios says VIA- AC udio with options Auto or disabled The VIA audio and in drivers didn t work the FIC support page download was the Avance AC driver but the AM Manual they have states VIA- AC also I tried the Vinyl AC for this chipset on the VIA site and originally it had the Realtek AC driver installed but it was the version I think I ve downloaded and tried them all with the setup exe s and manually in device manager No dice There is no error messages just no sound So it s probably not the driver then what s the board s problem Yes I tried uninstalling it and just about every other software he might have added and also checked the default sound devices audio volume etc Could this be an emachines issue Maybe it shorted out or am I just going crazy Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Onboard audio quit after changing case

You've covered quite a range of issues here but have you checked the system bios to make sure on-board sound is enabled and apart from that, have you checked the audio cables to the speakers?

BTW, :wave: Welcome To TechSpot! :wave: with your first post.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/onboard-audio-quit-after-changing-case.15367/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi black with 'boots' screen changing after harddrive PC So I bought a new harddrive Samsung Spinpoint F TB because my old one was too small I removed the cables from my old one put them in the new one and booted my pc Result Black screen No Input All the fans turn no beeping LED s work I can hear my harddrive and my dvd-drive buzzing Something to note My G Display does NOT light up which it PC 'boots' with black screen after changing harddrive usually does So my keyboard appears to be powerless I have tried removing the BIOS-battery removing one and both RAM sticks Disconnecting everything but the CPU GPU and monitor No luck The fact that my keyboard doesn t get power suggests a faulty motherboard to me but I could be and hope to be completely wrong I tried removing my GPU but didn t hear any beeps the power-chord was still connected don t know if that matters In short Computer seems to boot Everything sounds like normal No beeping Unpowered keyboard No luck on BIOS reset When I put in my new HDD I touched the radiator to get rid of static charges Could it still be that a static charge ruined my MoBo or some other part And is there a way to check if my motherboard is faulty I have also tried putting the motherboard on a static-free surface wood and connecting only the cpu gpu and monitor Still the same I find it strange that my motherboard doesn t beep because there s no RAM Another indication of a broken MoBo Motherboard Asus M N -SE CPU AMD Phenom II X BE GPU ATI Sapphire HD Monitor ACER quot x w I believe Is there a way to check if other parts are broken just in case it s not the Motherboard Because I read somewhere that working fans working led s etc indicate a broken CPU and NOT Motherboard Any help would be greatly appreciated Greetings Marty nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I recently noticed that the temperature in my hard drive enclosure was undesirably high so I opted to buy a new case to sort out my airflow issues As I was to after unrelated Random hangs changing case. temperature transferring all my components I felt it would be a good Random hangs unrelated to temperature after changing case. idea to remove all the dust I could with alcohol microfibre cloths and compressed air whilst also redoing the thermal compound on both my cpu and gpu Since reassembling the machine I have been plagued with random hangs restarts mostly without a crash dump or log in event viewer The odd thing is that they seem to happen during less intensive periods Examples such as the logon screen playing music through MPC idling but having data accessed through a shared drive over the network the system being moved slightly or removing a usb wireless adapter On the other hand I'm perfectly capable of playing games or running prime for hours without experiencing any of these problems This doesn't appear to be related to heat as during stress tests the cpu peaks at about c and the gpu at c My CPU is overclocked but has been stable at these speeds for years previously and as previously mentioned had no issues with a prime test or other intensive applications I'm currently running memtest just on the off chance that one of my modules has gone bad but so far i'm not seeing any errors Edit I just remembered that on a couple of occaisions after crashing during the boot sequence I've been forced to use start up repair to fix missing bootmngr and ntoskrnl though I assume this is due to corruption from the time the crash happened rather than an indicator of a cause

A:Random hangs unrelated to temperature after changing case.

Sorry for double posting, but I seem to have solved it myself, it looks like it was just my own stupidity, so I will post my solution to help others who may stumble into this situation and end up here through google.

After reapplying the theraml paste to my cpu I had a difficult time getting my aftermarket heatsink back on at which point a tiny amount of past must have slipped on to the board, causing a short:

Yeah, it's as easy as that to cause yourself a nightmare. My system seems to be stable now after wiping that away carefully with alcohol and a microfibre cloth.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/488190/random-hangs-unrelated-to-temperature-after-changing-case/
Relevancy 51.6%

first off i just installed vista ultimate, turns out my bios wasent compatible with it so i thought i would go back to xp. but unfortunatly ive got a barebone system that only supports one hardrive. so i thought of some stupid idea of stealing another computers ribbon that has a master connector and secondary connector for the hardrive. plugged in my original hardrive to the master, and before pluging in another to the second ,(so i could reformat mine to go back to xp) i tried it out.
it booted, all normal sounds, came up to the screen where it says your motherboard manufacturer and if your dvd/cd drive are working(primary and secondary). then the screen goes blank.
switched the wires back to the originals, same result.

everything was working fine before this, just messed up after i swiched the wires.
thanks to anyone who accually takes the time to read this.

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi everyone i am currently having problems trying to tranfer files to my internal harddrive it stated that i have the drive write protected. I have changed permission to full control..both under properties and also under hardrive management but the only thing I have not been able to change is special permissions.. i have also tried changing all inherited children too but these have not helped.. also .. I do have a couple of usb harddrives connected at the same time .. and this issue seem to occurs only when there are a number external drives attached..

A:harddrive locked unable to transfer file even after changing to full c

I had this same problem with an external WD drive.
If your drive does not have the OS on it, I suggest you copy all data to another drive. Adjust permissions of the copied folders and files.
Then go to Administrator Tools>Computer Manager> Storage>Disk Management
Right click the drive and delete the Volume, then You can format it and copy back the data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/196901-harddrive-locked-unable-transfer-file-even-after-changing-full-c.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Is there such thing as a case for an IDE HDD so I can connect it via USB? Something not so expensive, $20 and under. If u need more info just ask.

thanx

Relevancy 51.17%

Is there a way to gut out a case and put all my hard drives in it and use as an external hard storage unit?
I have all these 20,30,and 40 Gb Hard drives and I want to use them for storage. I know I can network them but that seems like the slow way.

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,
I am trying to connect an external harddrive to my computer via USB. Whenever I plug the drive in i get the following error message:USB-device was not recognized. The drive itself works fine however, since I tried it on my other PC.
I heard it might be that I have to update my chipset, but first of all I am not sure of how to do that and if that is the correct solution for my problem. By the way, I am using Windows XP.
Please can someone be so nice to help me?
Thank you very much in advance

Relevancy 50.74%

I have a Seagate 40 GB External Harddrive. It used to work well. A friend borrowed it once and it stopped working since then.

Actually the problem is - it is not being detected by the laptop (it doesn't show up in the device manager). But the light of the drive is on.

I wonder what might have happened to it. , whether we can somehow make it work !!

My Laptop specifications: Toshiba Satellite 2.4 G Hz, 240MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1.

Relevancy 50.74%

Hello
Im wondering if its possible to connect a computer and a blu ray player to a external hard drive at the SAME time ?

external hard drive ....seagate extreme 1.5.... has firewire and usb

Relevancy 50.74%

I am looking for a new EHD with at least 1tb in capacity. There are so many choices, anyone have a recommendation? I have used Seagate in the past and they seem to be solid. If anyone has purchased one lately please let me know. Thanks.

A:External HardDrive

I have two external 1TB hard drives, both WD My Passport (the portable size). The latest was purchased a few months ago.

I actually have 5 external hard drives purchased at various times and all are Western Digital.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.1137768/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a Dell Expiron 9400 which is 5 years old (2GB) I want to buy an external drive to store photos/videos and documents. I want to buy one that will be suitable to work with ANY other computer that I might buy in the future. Anyone got any advice Please??

A:External harddrive

Howdy

most External Hard drives will work with any PC...you just hook it through the USB port

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.1016430/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello all,

Tomorrow (Sunday) I am getting a 1TB external harddrive and was wondering weather I could basically copy the whole of my C: drive including the OS to it. I also want to boot straight from the external drive. I also do not really care if it is'nt recommended lol. If this is possible would it also be possible to dual-boot with XP? I have both install disks for Vista and XP and I am willing to buy software.

Please could you tell me exactly what to do and what programs I need.

Thanks in Advance

Super_JS

A:External Harddrive Help.

Hello super_js.

You could use Acronis to create a ghost of the HDD, including C:.

Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis

Also have a look at the link below.

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Keep us informed!

Later Ted

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/185000-external-harddrive-help.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi, i think this issue has been posted before but i really could not understand what was going in the previous thread so i was hoping for a step by step of what i should do.

I have been using an external usb harddrive which worked perfectly fine for a while but stopped being detected in windows xp (am running windows 7 now) all of a sudden. When i plug it in, the sound of a usb device being detected is made and it attempts to install the driver to run the mass storage however, no drive shows up anymore in my computer. Also, under disk management it does not pick up this drive either. I have tried different computers/usb slots as well as cables and it does the same thing.

Thanks for your help in advance.

A:External USB harddrive help

just received an error message saying that windows could not install the right driver to run the usb mass storage device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-usb-harddrive-help.130103/
Relevancy 50.74%

I purchased an external hard drive WD Essential gb that is used exclusively to create Macrium Reflect images for three Harddrive External different computers Computers are HP External Harddrive Laptop with Vista Dell External Harddrive Desktop with Vista Computer I built with Win as the OS When I plugged in the external hard drive to each computer it trys to install the external software This worked no problem with Win With the other two computers it says the external hard drive was NOT installed properly However I can see the drive in windows explorer on all the computers I had no problem creating Macrium Images for each computer with Macrium I can restore the images on the Win External Harddrive and the Dell computers without any issues The HP Laptop is causing me a problem When the external drive is connected it will NOT boot It hangs up very early in the boot process with Macrium Rescue Disk in the CDrom Without the external drive connected it boots from the rescue disk WD techies were no help to solve the issue I did extensive reseach to solve this issue and I was told to boot into the bios and change something I never could find out what to change If anyone has a clue I can use the help Thank you

A:External Harddrive

G'day Huffman,

I'm not sure if this will solve the problem, but with the BIOS setting......do you remember if you were told to look for an option called Legacy USB or something very similar to that?

The Legacy USB option is used to tell the computer, before any Windows drivers boot, that there is a USB keyboard and/or mouse connected to the computer. I wonder if that is what is required by your HP to "see" the WD Essentials USB drive? Can you have a look and see if you have that option in your BIOS, and let usknow whether it is turned "ON", or "OFF"?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/187683-external-harddrive.html
Relevancy 50.74%

my external hard disk showing (error inpage operation) help me out

Relevancy 50.74%

i bought a sony vaio USB external harddrive off of ebay. it didnt work when i first got it but after some searching i found creating a new DWORD value in the registry disabling the selective suspend on the USB solved the problem. i havent used it in a while and im getting a message saying that the device isnt recognized and isnt showing up in my computer what do i do

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.527954/
Relevancy 50.74%

I am trying to view my external harddrive on my PS3. I found a website that said you go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Managment. It said to right click on the drive the External harddrive is and click delete partition. I did that, and it just disappeared from My Computer. Now I see it's still there on the lower right hand of the screen by the clock. It is also listed under device managers.

I've read for help, and they all say to go to disk management, right click on it and assign it a drive letter. I just do not see the external harddrive there to right click on it.

Please help. I hope I didn't lose any data on it!

A:External Harddrive Help

If you deleted the partition through Disk Management, you deleted all the data on it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-help.720618/
Relevancy 50.74%

My wife takes a lot of digital pictures. I am thinking of getting a Maxtor 5000LE, hook it up to my USB2 and downloading the pictures to it instead of CD. Would I have any problems. I have xp. Would I have any trouble accessing the pictures on the hard drive?

I am using a USB 2.0 controller card with a USB 2.0 HD enclosure. Iuse the drive for storage-- text docs and photos. Have not had any problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.124068/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a new Mextor external drive. I installed it on my laptop and my desktop. When installed, XP isaw the drive on both machines, it showed it as Drive "F". I transfered data back and forth to and from the drive, it worked flawless.

After I shut down both machines and came back the next day tp perform a backup, I plugged the USB in, windows recognized it, but when I went to my computer you could not find the drive, this happened on both machines. I rebooted and the same thing happened.

Please help.......

Relevancy 50.74%

From where in the UK can i get an cheap external harddrive(aleast 40GB)?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.313727/
Relevancy 50.74%

I already used Search and couldn't find what i was looking for.

I was wondering if external hard drive, could be used as regular hard drive.
I am a music producer and i have large quantities of music samples and virtual instruments;

These sample libraries and instruments take up a lot of space, so i was wondering if i could the following.
Install the application on my internal hard drive and use these samples/instruments which are stored on the external hard drive;

Thank you in advance.

thats what I do with movies
I edit movies and such make special intro's After effects
all backed up on external drives

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-harddrive.89299/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a Nexxtech harddrive enclosure and it doesn t seem to want to work for an extended period of time Once I get it to work and be recognized I will turn it off and the next time I turn it on the computer will recognize it as a RAW disc That is unformatted When I try to access it again after that explorer will freeze The jumper settings are set to master so that s not the problem I tried to put the harddrive into the computer and all worked out fine I tried another harddrive in the enclosure and everything worked out great So its not the enclosure or the harddrive or any of the connections I m out of ideas The harddrive is a External Harddrive samsung of sorts and gig I ve formatted it to NTFS because that s how I need it formatted External Harddrive On a very rare occasion the harddrive will show up and will have no issues but any files that I previously put on it are missing Any and all help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.775460/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have an external harddrive and today one of lights on it has started to flash and it's making a continious steady 'beep' noise. The light is labelled HDD ACC. Does anyone know what could be wrong. It's not showing up in my computer either

was only formatted yesterday

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.215903/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have an external Hard drive with tons of movies and music on it, Hooks in USB, Tried hooking it to my ps3 but it didn't reconize it... is there a way that will work somehow?

A:PS3 And External HardDrive

The external drive needs to be FAT32 format. If the external drive is NTFS the PS3 will not rcognize it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ps3-and-external-harddrive.799591/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a 4 year old laptop, IBM Thinkpad i1412 with Windows
98. It's run through scan disk on start up with over 400 bad
clusters and will no longer start up Windows even with the
recovery cd that came with it. I'm wondering if I can install
an external harddrive using the pc card slot, (I noticed there's
at least a couple of these available for sale), and can I just
use my recovery cd in the original laptop's cd rom to install
all the original software onto the new external harddrive?
Will it make any difference if the new external harddrive is
bigger than the original? Is there anything else I should know
about this?

Relevancy 50.74%

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB internal harddrive that I converted into a external. I have Vista on my laptop and XP Media Center Service Pack 3 on my desktop. I can not get my external to work on the desktop. I connect it to the desktop and it says I need to format. But it works on my laptop and I cant reformat because I don't want to lose all of my data. It loads fine when plugged into the desktop its says hardware is ready to use but I have to reformat.

A:Need Help With External Harddrive

I fixed it. I had to download exFAT driver

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-help-with-external-harddrive-441996.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have an overful internal hard drive and a mostly empty 500GB external. Is there any major reason I shouldn't use the external to install games onto? I have the external plugged in to the same computer and it's never been disconnected as of yet except by powering off while computer is off as well.

i think the problem with installing games on your external hdd is it takes longer to access the drive. my cousin installed age of conan on his external drive on accident and it would take forever to load the game but once he realized what he did he reinstalled it and that fixed his problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.723467/
Relevancy 50.74%

I just Bought a 120Gig External HardDrive and i want to put An O/S on it how do i do that?

(i bought an external HDD because all my PC games take up all my HDD space in my computer :P)

A:External HardDrive Help...

You will need to check that your system bios supports USB Bootable devices first, and if necessary you should be able to install windows onto it and then make it the default boot device in system bios.

Hope this helps!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/196896-external-harddrive-help.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,
I'm thinking about buying the harddrive as think it kind of cheap. Toshiba 1TB Canvio Basics 3.0 Portable Hard Drive in Black at $89.00 in Portable Hard Drives

Anyway I'm planning on getting a Mac next year for uni, and it says that this harddrive is not comptable with mac unless I convert it to FAT32.

I just want to know what FAT32 is?? Will it make it slower when transferring stuff??
Also is it easy to change it to fat32??

Thanks

A:External Harddrive.

Originally Posted by Mitchell

Hi,

I just want to know what FAT32 is?? Will it make it slower when transferring stuff??
Also is it easy to change it to fat32??

Thanks

You could Google Fat32 while waiting for an answer here.

As to formatting the drive, that is easy.
Attach it to the computer & open my computer & right click your new drive & choose Format.
Choose Fat32 from the dropdown menu.
Do not choose the Quick format.

Do a full format.
A full format takes a very long time to complete.
A picture :

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/26792-external-harddrive.html
Relevancy 50.74%

My computer shows that I have a device connected to it, more specifically, an external hard-drive. But when I go to access it, the image or icon for it that use to show up when I go to the "my computer" section, there is nothing there. So another words, why cant i access my external hardrive anymore? It shows that there is something there but acts as though there isn't.

So before I had the C & D -Drives, and the "I -Drive" use to be what whould show up for the external hard-drive. Can anyone help? It says device is working properly. I did the updated driver option. Rollback option is showing not available.

What do I do? External hard drive is connected through flashdrive like cable.

Relevancy 50.74%

I`ve been using a powered external harddrive through a dvd player but yesterday it stopped working. I plugged the harddrive into the pc and it works fine and also works through the usb port on a different tv. A thumb drive works fine through the dvd player aswell.
Anyone any idea what could be wrong?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.1118346/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello All,

I keep having an issue with my Maxtor My Touch 4 USB hard drive on my Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Dell XPS 8300). Randomly on power ups of my PC, this external hard drive is not recognized and shows as an "Unknown Device" under the USB controllers in Device Manager. (Please see screenshot attached) When I say randomly I mean one time I boot and the hard drive is there and it works perfectly, the next time I boot, it is not recognized.

To fix this issue, I can uninstall one of the two "USB Root Hubs", reboot, and the hard drive will reappear.

Why would this hard drive show correctly after one boot up and not another when nothing on the PC has changed? And how can I keep this from happening?

Thanks for your input.

Relevancy 50.74%

i have an usb external hard drive connected to my computer and for some reason my computer has stopped picking it up it picked it up when i first installed it can anyone help

A:usb external harddrive

Can you confirm the usb port is working by trying something else in the port?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-external-harddrive.654988/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a GB usb Netec external hard drive It has worked fine since I bought it about months ago However this morning I couldn t open a folder on the drive as it said it was corrupted Strangely later on I could open that file but not a different one I couldn t find a reason for this or how to fix it so I decided to try and fix it External Harddrive by reformatting it and just copy over the data lost from the my other computer However I can only run a quick format the long one does not complete If I run the quick format and and try to copy data over it has a slow transfer rate and External Harddrive not all the files are copied correct and some do not open Does anybody know why I cannot copy data over External Harddrive successfully and how I can fix this problem I am running windows home premium on a acer aspire TimelineX I have had no problems in the past with this drive and was surprised it had an error in the first place as I always safely removed hardware to prevent this problem Thanks in advance Hen Greer nbsp

Have you tried right clicking on C drive and hitting properties, clicking tools, and selecting scan for errors, and rebooting after you've done that? Leave your External plugged in and hopefully that fixes whatever issues your having.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.949709/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi Guys,
I am planning to build an 500GB external USB HDD.
My PC configuration is
AMD Athlon 1200 MHz
VIA KT 133 MSI Mother Board
384MB SD RAM
40GB IDE HDD
Intex VIA VT6202 USB 2.0 PCI to USB Card

Is my PC configuration supports 500GB external Drive?????

Thanks in advance.......
Regards,
Akshara T.G

Relevancy 50.31%

What speed sucks heat out of the case the fastest & how much voltage requied? What is the quietest type?

A:How do you attach an external case fan?

Like most things, the issue of fans and case cooling is more complicated than it seems. Here are the main points:

1. Keeping a case cool requires getting cool air into the case and hot air out. To accomplish this a case may have both input fans (cool air in) and output fans (hot air out.) Whether or not a particular case has both input and output fans depends primarily on the case design, but in most cases you can add whichever kind you want.

2. Fans themselves come in 2 basic varieties: fixed speed and variable speed. In general variable speed is better because the fan speed can change based on the current CPU/heat load. But variable speed fans are more expensive.

3. Fixed speed fans run at a constant speed/noise level. Their only input is power which they get either from a small 3-prong motherboard connector or a 4-prong Molex power connector coming off the PC power supply.

4. Variable speed fans have both power and speed control inputs and run at varying speed/noise levels. Their input usually comes from a 4-pin motherboard connector which supplies both power (3 pins) and speed control (4th pin.) These fans are called PWM fans because they use Pulse Width Modulation to change speeds.

Some variable speed fans come with their own speed controllers which is a small board mounted inside or outside the PC with knobs on it that you can turn to change fan speeds. But my sense is it is better to let the system itself determine the best fan speed.

4. In general cooling fans have almost negligible power requirements so there is really no need to be concerned about volts or watts.

5. Fans come in a variety of different standard sizes so it's easy to replace most any fan with a different one of the same size.

As an example, my case has one input fan on the front, 2 output fans on the back, and one output fan on the top. As delivered, all fans were fixed speed (to keep the overall case cost down.) It seemed to me that the front fan was a bit louder than I liked so I replaced it with a variable speed fan that plugged into one of 3 4-pin connectors on my system motherboard. Now the fan closest to me is much quieter most of the time, but does speed up when the CPU is working hard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/279465-how-do-you-attach-external-case-fan.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi
My mobo is a Gigabyte EG41MFT-US2H. It has E-SATA connection and I have an Icy Box External case with a WD 5000AAKS Hdd installed. It works fine for back up, but I cannot get the E SATA to work. Tried 2 more cables that I know work with my HP DV7 lappy, still no joy. Is there some special method I have to use?

A:E-SATA to external Case.

You should have AHCI enabled both with the correct hotswap SATA drivers, and in your BIOS.

If you don't then your eSATA drive will only be detected if connected at boot-up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/213963-e-sata-external-case.html
Relevancy 50.31%

will my W/D IDE work in an external case to extract files/folders or do i need to buy a complete external HDD to access files on this drive ?

A:Internal IDE in external case ?

As long as the drive works and you get the proper enclosure everything should go smoothly. You should look for an external enclosure that is supports an IDE drive. You can find them on the net pretty cheap.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internal-ide-in-external-case.987804/
Relevancy 50.31%

My sister has a dell laptop that came with an extrernal CD drive. the drive was damaged .

I need to relaod the Xp home OS. Do you think hooking up an extra cd drive (that was once in my tower) to an external case (used for HD) i will be able to reload XP?

A:External case & a CD Drive

Sure, the drives in an external case are bog-standard CD/DVD drives. I've put a bunch of them together.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-case-a-cd-drive.571116/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a 3.5" hdd external case (IDE) which works on Windows XP. But it doesnt work with Windows Vista. Also the CD supplied with the case contains drivers for windows 98/me/xp/2000 but not for VISTA!!! I tried to search by google but didnt help. Please help if anyone knows about such drivers for vista.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/234360/driver-for-35-hdd-external-case-ide/
Relevancy 50.31%

I plan to buy a 4 TB external hd, which, if possible, I would like to eventually remove from its casing and put into an external multiple hd bay which I'll purchase in future. I'm looking at the Seagate STBV4000100 hd or the WD WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN hd models. I realize this will void the warranty, natch, but is there any reason that doing this would be a problem? I mean, would I be able to open it with a screwdriver or am I going to have to break the darn case to get the hd out? And, if the latter, will I be able to do so without harming the hd? Thanks!

Seagate 4TB Expansion External Desktop USB 3.0 Hard STBV4000100

WD 4TB My Book Desktop HDD WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN B&H Photo Video

A:Removing External HD From Case

This link from Youtube will show you how to do it:
Shelling a 4TB Western Digital MyBook USB3 External Drive - YouTube

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/49996-removing-external-hd-case.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hey Everyone,

I'm a first time poster here so if this post is in the wrong topic please feel free to move it.

I recently bought a new laptop a week ago (specs listed in profile) and i use an external harddrive to store all my photos, music, movies, etc. This harddrive worked fine all week, but then today when i plugged it in it was completly empty all my data had been wiped from it.

I'm wondering first of all if my data can be restrored from it as the photos especially are very important to me and secondly how this might of happend that the hard drive as far as i can tell has formatted its self.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

A:External Harddrive Wiped

Try it in a different machine.
Unless you formatted the drive or deleted all the data I suspect it is just a question of it not being recognised properly.

As long as you do NOT do any writing or other drive write operations to that drive, there is a very good chance that a reasonably competent technician will be able to recover most, if not all the data.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-wiped.856530/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,

I have a 500 GB hard drive. This is the first time I have used one.
I have backed up personal files, photos, videos, music ect.

I used EaseUS Todo Backup Free to do a system back up. Did I need to do a system backup?
What kind of additional back ups do I need to do and how often? Weekly, monthly, daily, yearly? How do I do additional back ups using EaseUS Free if they are needed?
How much space do backups take? I only want to use this one drive.
I have currently 389 GB of free space on the hard drive.

Vista is my OS if that is helpful.
Thanks for your help.

A:External Harddrive Newbie

You do your back ups as often as you need to. For e.g. if you do data back ups once a week, and your computer fails then worst case scenario you lose a weeks worth of data, if that would be a problem for you do your back ups daily

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-newbie.1121982/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am looking to go about getting a external harddrive, and I am looking to go with Western Digital External Harddrive. However, they have so many different kind of harddrives, that I am not sure what I should go about getting if that makes sense?

Any chance anyone could enlighten me and let me know what I should possibly go with?

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi So I found another thread that was similar to this but given it was last posted on days ago it was recommended I make a new one I have a Seagate GB FreeAgent Go external usb drive that is kind of hating life right now I got this months ago and pretty much backed up all my stuff put it somewhere it wouldn't get all dusty and didn't touch it again That is until my brother appearing not External Harddrive got a computer for college and as my External Harddrive not appearing position of household geek had to set things up for him The drive was and kind of is formatted NTFS and he had to move some things from his old mac to his new HP which wasn't too much of a problem but then i took it back to put some more things on it and it started telling me the disc was unreadable At this point it still showed up in explorer and such and I could edit the properties and suchlike but it would External Harddrive not appearing start loading the drive's contents get up to a certain point and pop up an error denying me access to anything A good deal of frustration and some misgivings a long time later I reformatted it In my mind it was the fact that I started plugging it into a Mac which made it angry with me so again I put some music on it nothing substantial and left it in it's little hiding spot Now we hit a week ago I get a fresh new computer and set about the task of moving all my old junk onto the new unit I plug the external into my old VAIO and put on all my music documents games etc Then I bring it over to my new Toshiba and plug it in It says it could not install External Harddrive not appearing drivers like it usually does whenever you put in a new device So I try another usb port Same thing I switch it back once more then send it over to the USB SATA drive and it decides to work I start the move of my music library About minutes in I find it sitting inactive in the same spot of the transfer After waiting another minutes and seeing no new activity I try to cancel the transfer whereupon the whole process seizes up After hitting cancel nothing stops doing well nothing and I can't even quot X quot the transfer window So after a little more fiddling I just pull out the external since that's the most basic killswitch I know of yet when I plugged it back in I no longer can find the drive even though it's ejectable in the system tray I gave the drive to a friend in school who found it in disk management but from there we aren't able to do much of anything The disc is found as not initialized but when we tell it to initialize i get quot Data error cyclic redundancy check quot which I really have no clue what that is I'll attach screenshots of what I have going right now for reference I've been told that giving the drive a drive letter might fix it but I'm not sure as to how to do that Disabling and re-enabling it did nothing The one major difference I see here is the fact the drive is not initialized but like I said attempts to change that just end with an error Anyone that has thoughts or help to give I would greatly appreciate it since so far moving everything on a gig flash drive is a MAJOR pain

A:External Harddrive not appearing

Quote: Originally Posted by sm0115

I've been told that giving the drive a drive letter might fix it, but I'm not sure as to how to do that. Disabling and re-enabling it did nothing.

Hi,

In Disk Management, if you right-click on the drive, what options appear?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/152513-external-harddrive-not-appearing.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi

I have a 3TB Seagate external harddrive connected to my TP Link wireless router through the USB port. When I go to the TP Link webpage, I am able to see the hard drive (under USB settings / storage sharing) connected to the router. However, I do not know how to access the hard drive through my PC and other computers at home. I tried clicking on "open the disk" link the storage sharing web page but nothing happens.

Is there anything else I need to do (apart from connecting the hard drive to the router) before I can start accessing the hard drive from all computers.

If anyone can provide some assistance, that would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

A:Access External Harddrive

How is it partitioned and formatted?

Since it is 3 TB, it would need to be GPT-partitioned to be readable by Windows. Your router, even if just a year old, may not support NTFS, 3 TB, or GPT.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-external-harddrive.1035457/