Windows Support Forum

May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice

Q: May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice

nbsp May have drivers, my could software shredding advice OS 2 use killed by nbsp I had been having blue screen problems with my old Dell XP The programs WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView implicated a few drivers of non-essential software as the culprits I examined the drivers module in AutoRuns by Sysinternals and carefully selected non-essential software drivers for disabling of their autostart status by unchecking the box in AutoRuns I avoided hardware drivers Microsoft drivers and drivers for actual autostart programs Three May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice times when I restarted after this limited driver-autostart disabling I got the STOP X B blue screen I was in effect forced to use Last Known Good Configuration on the subsequent startups and this restored all the autostarts I had disabled To test what was going on I shut down my system without disabling any driver autostarts and the system started May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice normally nbsp nbsp I tried disabling via AutoRuns only two files in the system drivers folders that were implicated in previous blue screens wrkrn sys associated with Webroot which after expiration had continued on my May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice system as an on-demand scanner and vvbackd sys associated with a FarStone program which I had not yet chosen to utilize I got the STOP X B blue screen again After this in my frustration I shredded wrkrn sys and vvbackd sys nbsp nbsp Really bad move After this I continually get the STOP X B blue screen when I try to start the computer On the next try I will get the menu that offers quot Safe Mode quot and quot Last Known Good Configuration quot etc but those options lead only to more STOP X B blue screens I had deleted those two drivers previously without problems but it had been after moving them out of system drivers And of course the drivers had been recreated nbsp nbsp I know it s academic at this point but what do you think I could have done with those drivers without creating the mess I created Maybe I should have just uninstalled the programs although I preferred not to nbsp nbsp I took my computer to one repairman and he said it couldn t be fixed I want more opinions nbsp nbsp I have a new computer I will be setting up soon but I had really wanted to keep this one as a second computer to use for limited purposes including substituting if the new one has to go to the repair shop nbsp nbsp I also want to recover everything off the old Dell The repairman said he didn t think I would be able to recover my Outlook Express emails What do you think I could set up a virtual XP on my new computer and possibly get my Outlook Express emails that way I think nbsp nbsp The repairman said I could use an IDE to USB adaptor to drag and drop files and folders from the old Dell XP to my new computer although he doesn t think that will work for restoring Outlook Express emails A good adaptor of this sort can be had for as little as http www amazon com dp B JN WE p linkCode asn Any advice about this procedure nbsp nbsp I have Laplink PC Mover Ultimate I called Laplink support late at night The technician said he that in order to use Laplink PC Mover Ultimate in this situation I would have to fix my old computer first He said he could help me do that interestingly enough But he said I would have to sign up for a year of iYogi support for my two computers at Ouch And that s more than double the subscription price at http www iyogi net nbsp nbsp So do you think my old computer can be fixed Any advice on any points raised here would be welcome nbsp nbsp Computer Dell System B Desktop nbsp nbsp CPU Intel Pentium - Northwood D nbsp nbsp MHz x MHz x nbsp nbsp Motherboard DELL G nbsp nbsp Chipset Intel GEV Brookdale-GEV ICH nbsp nbsp Memory MBytes MHz - - - nbsp nbsp - MB PC DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K nbsp nbsp Graphics Intel G GL GV Graphics Controller DELL nbsp nbsp Intel i G L Integrated MB nbsp nbsp Drive ST A GB E-IDE ATA- nbsp nbsp Drive HGST HTS A E GB Serial ATA Gb s lt - gt USB nbsp nbsp Drive SAMSUNG CD-R RW SW- S CD-R Writer nbsp nbsp Sound Creative Technology SB Live Series Audio Processor nbsp nbsp Network RealTek Semiconductor RTL PCI Fast Ethernet NIC A B C nbsp nbsp Network Broadcom Integrated Controller nbsp nbsp OS Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Build SP nbsp nbsp nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice

An Option...

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,149032.0.html
Relevancy 103.85%

I had been having blue screen problems with my old Dell could use 2 drivers, May my by have software killed shredding OS advice XP The programs WhoCrashed and May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice BlueScreenView implicated a few drivers of non-essential software as the culprits I examined the drivers module in AutoRuns by Sysinternals and carefully selected non-essential software drivers for disabling of their autostart status by unchecking the box in AutoRuns I avoided hardware drivers Microsoft drivers and drivers for May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice actual autostart programs Three times when I restarted after this limited driver-autostart disabling I got the STOP X B blue screen I was in effect forced to use Last Known Good Configuration on the subsequent startups and this restored all the autostarts I had disabled To test what was going on I shut down my system without May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice disabling any driver autostarts and the system started normally I tried disabling via AutoRuns only two files in the system drivers folders that were implicated in previous blue screens wrkrn sys associated with Webroot which after expiration had continued on my system as an on-demand scanner and vvbackd sys associated with a FarStone program which I had not yet chosen to utilize I got the STOP X B blue screen again After this in my frustration I shredded wrkrn sys and vvbackd sys Really bad move After this I continually get the STOP X B blue screen when I try to start the computer On the next try I will get the menu that offers quot Safe Mode quot and quot Last Known Good Configuration quot etc but those options lead only to more STOP X B blue screens I had deleted those two drivers previously without problems but it had been after moving them out of system drivers And of course the drivers had been recreated I know it s academic at this point but what do you think I could have done with those drivers without creating the mess I created Maybe I should have just uninstalled the programs although I preferred not to I took my computer to one repairman and he said it couldn t be fixed I want more opinions I have a new computer I will be setting up soon but I had really wanted to keep this one as a second computer to use for limited purposes including substituting if the new one has to go to the repair shop I also want to recover everything off the old Dell The repairman said he didn t think I would be able to recover my Outlook Express emails What do you think I could set up a virtual XP on my new computer and possibly get my Outlook Express emails that way I think The repairman said I could use an IDE to USB adaptor to drag and drop files and folders from the old Dell XP to my new computer although he doesn t think that will work for restoring Outlook Express emails A good adaptor of this sort can be had for as little as http www amazon com dp B JN WE p linkCode asn Any advice about this procedure I have Laplink PC Mover Ultimate I called Laplink support late at night The technician said he that in order to use Laplink PC Mover Ultimate in this situation I would have to fix my old computer first He said he could help me do that interestingly enough But he said I would have to sign up for a year of iYogi support for my two computers at Ouch And that s more than double the subscription price at http www iyogi net So do you think my old computer can be fixed Any advice on any points raised here would be welcome Computer Dell System B Desktop CPU Intel Pentium - Northwood D MHz x MHz x Motherboard DELL G Chipset Intel GEV Brookdale-GEV ICH Memory MBytes MHz - - - - MB PC DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K Graphics Intel G GL GV Graphics Controller DELL Intel i G L Integrated MB Drive ST A GB E-IDE ATA- Drive HGST HTS A E GB Serial ATA Gb s lt - gt USB Drive SAMSUNG CD-R RW SW- S CD-R Writer Sound Creative Technology SB Live Series Au... Read more

A:May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice

If the hard drive didn't crash, you can copy all your data off of it.

I can't tell from your post what's broken. It's a really old computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/may-have-killed-my-os-by-shredding-2-software-drivers-could-use-advice.1142973/
Relevancy 103.85%

I had been having blue screen problems shredding advice have drivers, killed OS software use by could May my 2 with my old Dell XP The programs WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView implicated a few drivers of non-essential software as the culprits I examined the drivers module in AutoRuns by Sysinternals and carefully selected non-essential software drivers for disabling of their autostart status by unchecking the box in AutoRuns I avoided hardware drivers Microsoft drivers and drivers for actual autostart programs Three times when I restarted after this limited driver-autostart disabling I got the STOP X B blue screen I was in effect forced to use Last Known Good Configuration on the subsequent May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice startups and this restored all the May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice autostarts I had disabled To test what was going on I shut down my system without disabling any driver autostarts and the system started normally I tried May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice disabling via AutoRuns only two files in the system drivers folders that were implicated in previous blue screens wrkrn sys associated with Webroot which after expiration had continued on my system as an on-demand scanner and vvbackd sys associated with a FarStone program which I had not yet chosen to utilize I got the STOP X B blue screen again After this in my frustration I shredded wrkrn sys and vvbackd sys Really bad move After this I continually get the STOP X B blue screen when I try to start the computer On the next try I will get the menu that offers Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration etc but those options lead only to more STOP X B blue screens I had deleted those two drivers previously without problems but it had been after moving them out of system drivers And of course the drivers had been recreated I know it's academic at this point but what do you think I could have done with those drivers without creating the mess I created Maybe I should have just uninstalled the programs although I preferred not to I took my computer to one repairman and he said it couldn't be fixed I want more opinions I have a new computer I will be setting up soon but I had really wanted to keep this one as a second computer to use for limited purposes including substituting if the new one has to go to the repair shop I also want to recover everything off the old Dell The repairman said he didn't think I would be able to recover my Outlook Express emails What do you think I could set up a virtual XP on my new computer and possibly get my Outlook Express emails that way I think The repairman said I could use an IDE to USB adaptor to drag and drop files and folders from the old Dell XP to my new computer although he doesn't think that will work for restoring Outlook Express emails A good adaptor of this sort can be had for as little as http www amazon com dp B JN WE p linkCode asn Any advice about this procedure I have Laplink PC Mover Ultimate I called Laplink support late at night The technician said he that in order to use Laplink PC Mover Ultimate in this situation I would have to fix my old computer first He said he could help me do that interestingly enough But he said I would have to sign up for a year of iYogi support for my two computers at Ouch And that's more than double the subscription price at http www iyogi net So do you think my old computer can be fixed Any advice on any points raised here would be welcome Computer Dell System B Desktop CPU Intel Pentium - Northwood D MHz x MHz x Motherboard DELL G Chipset Intel GEV Brookdale-GEV ICH Memory MBytes MHz - - - - MB PC DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K Graphics Intel G GL GV Graphics Controller DELL Intel i G L Integrated MB Drive ST A GB E-IDE ATA- Drive HGST HTS A E GB Serial ATA Gb s lt - gt USB Drive SAMSUNG CD-R RW SW- S CD-R Writer Sound Creative Technology SB Live Series Audio Processor Networ... Read more

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566862/may-have-killed-my-os-by-shredding-2-software-drivers-could-use-advice/
Relevancy 103.85%

I had been having blue screen problems with my old Dell XP The programs WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView implicated a few drivers of non-essential software as the culprits I examined the drivers module in AutoRuns by Sysinternals and carefully selected non-essential software drivers for disabling of their autostart status by unchecking the box in AutoRuns I avoided hardware drivers Microsoft drivers and drivers for actual autostart programs Three times software have my 2 by May OS could shredding drivers, advice use killed when I restarted after this limited driver-autostart disabling I got the STOP X B blue screen May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice I was in effect forced to use May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice Last Known Good Configuration May have killed my OS by shredding 2 software drivers, could use advice on the subsequent startups and this restored all the autostarts I had disabled To test what was going on I shut down my system without disabling any driver autostarts and the system started normally I tried disabling via AutoRuns only two files in the system drivers folders that were implicated in previous blue screens wrkrn sys associated with Webroot which after expiration had continued on my system as an on-demand scanner and vvbackd sys associated with a FarStone program which I had not yet chosen to utilize I got the STOP X B blue screen again After this in my frustration I shredded wrkrn sys and vvbackd sys Really bad move After this I continually get the STOP X B blue screen when I try to start the computer On the next try I will get the menu that offers quot Safe Mode quot and quot Last Known Good Configuration quot etc but those options lead only to more STOP X B blue screens I had deleted those two drivers previously without problems but it had been after moving them out of system drivers And of course the drivers had been recreated I know it's academic at this point but what do you think I could have done with those drivers without creating the mess I created Maybe I should have just uninstalled the programs although I preferred not to I took my computer to one repairman and he said it couldn't be fixed I want more opinions I have a new computer I will be setting up soon but I had really wanted to keep this one as a second computer to use for limited purposes including substituting if the new one has to go to the repair shop I also want to recover everything off the old Dell The repairman said he didn't think I would be able to recover my Outlook Express emails What do you think I could set up a virtual XP on my new computer and possibly get my Outlook Express emails that way I think The repairman said I could use an IDE to USB adaptor to drag and drop files and folders from the old Dell XP to my new computer although he doesn't think that will work for restoring Outlook Express emails A good adaptor of this sort can be had for as little as http www amazon com exec obidos AS nnorswebguidec Any advice about this procedure I have Laplink PC Mover Ultimate I called Laplink support late at night The technician said he that in order to use Laplink PC Mover Ultimate in this situation I would have to fix my old computer first He said he could help me do that interestingly enough But he said I would have to sign up for a year of iYogi support for my two computers at Ouch And that's more than double the subscription price at Computer Support Tech Support - Call iYogi So do you think my old computer can be fixed Any advice on any points raised here would be welcome Computer Dell System B Desktop CPU Intel Pentium - Northwood D MHz x MHz x Motherboard DELL G Chipset Intel GEV Brookdale-GEV ICH Memory MBytes MHz - - - - MB PC DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K Graphics Intel G GL GV Graphics Controller DELL Intel i G L Integrated MB Drive ST A GB E-IDE ATA- Drive HGST HTS A E GB Serial ATA Gb s lt - gt USB Drive SAMSUNG CD-R RW SW- S CD-R Writer Sound Creative ... Read more

Hi there,

Since you are having blue screen issues, you might wanna post a thread here: BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/may-have-killed-my-os-by-shredding-2-software-drivers-could-use-advice-959201.html
Relevancy 67.94%

In looking around for a free Shredder program with a context menu presence, there seem to be negative reviews on all of them.

I used to use Eraser on my XP machine but it's current reviews don't look good.

I've found one called "Hardwipe" that installed easily on Win 7-64 and seems to get the job done and has a nice program interface along with a presence in the context menu.

I only rarely need a shredder and usually just single files. But, I do have quite a few old drives laying around now.

Anyone have any other possibilities to try if Hardwipe doesn't work out?

Thanks

http://www.hardwipe.com/

A:Is Hardwipe 5.1.4 ok for use as shredding software?

Operation you're trying to do is called Low Level Format. This fully and irreversibly erases all data from your hard disk.

I think every hard drive maker should have such tool available for download, you just need to search for your hard drive model.

This link should be helpful: http://gizmodo.com/5494427/leave-no-trace-how-to-completely-erase-your-hard-drives-ssds-and-thumb-drives

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610398/is-hardwipe-514-ok-for-use-as-shredding-software/
Relevancy 64.5%

Windows XP Home I have been looking at image recovery programs to see what can be extracted from the free space after all the cleaning operations have been implemented Having seen the amount of information that can / 10,000 Files! Free Wiping Shredding software cannot wipe Disc Space be recovered I will no longer empty the Recycle Bin without shredding the contents but Shredding / Wiping software cannot wipe 10,000 Free Disc Space Files! it Shredding / Wiping software cannot wipe 10,000 Free Disc Space Files! seems that an enormous amount of information is still being collected which the normal individual is unaware of eImage Recovery Demo has found images and files in my deleted free space area of the hard disc Some are damaged due to overwriting but a vast majority have a clear preview picture of what can be recovered Because I do not recognise many of these pictures it seems that Windows is placing jpg bmp png etc images in this free space without my knowledge Perhaps some are gifs of bars and buttons from web surfing I have tried using some of the more user friendly and good reviews internet clearing tools available CCleaner Drive Discovery Active Privacy Guardian Washer Index dat Suite CleanCache PurgeIE IndexDat-Zap Version The images images that eImage Recovery displays seemingly cannot be removed by any of the normal space clearing methods available see below I have downloaded on trial practically every recovery program known to man and it is quite alarming to note that most only display a short list of deleted files in my free space area There are only programs that I can find which show an extended list of deleted files with preview pictures and these are eImage Recovery as mentioned above DiskInternals Uneraser and also VirtualLab Client which is a bit more complex To give you an idea how much effort I have put into this I have looked at all these programs in the hope of finding a tool that will wipe completely all the free space files beyond recovery and then check the free space after to see that no files are recoverable Active Privacy Guardian Washer NShred Super File Recover Virtual Lab Easis Data Lifesaver NetSpring Data Recover Back Life DiskDoctor DIY Data Recover Undelete Plus Wundelete Recover All Raise Data Recovery for NTFS Recover data for NTFS Arax Disk Doctor Object Rescue Pro Reviver Stellar Phoenix data recovery Data Recovery Pandora File Recovery Recovery Files Final recovery Directory Snoop Undelete Plus File Scavenger Clean Disc Security Tune Up Utilities Restoration Blanccco File Shredder BCWipe Ace Utilities Data Disk Recovery Easy Soft Undelete PC Mesh Win Hex Editor Recover Lost Data Eraser I have also wiped the free space several times using different programs yet still these files remain I have used Restoration to wipe the free space with pass Blancco File Shredder using passes Drive Discovery using passes File Shredder using passes Finally File Shredder again using the pass Guttmann Algorithm I have also wiped the slacks the file table entries and the system swap file Goodness knows what this is doing to my hard drive When I have shred every last evidence of computer internet activity shred the Recycle Bin Guttmann shredded the Free Space and removed all cookies and entries how is it possible for a basic recovery program like eImage Recovery to find so many records on my hard disc I have not tried to recover any files because this is not possible with the demo program It is not relevant anyway as the image content of the files which have not been overwritten are clearly visible and not marked as damaged I think there must be other records kept by Microsoft somewhere that are not touched by these wiping facilities I have also read somewhere that Office Word records activity which cannot be detected in the normal way Another thought I had was that the Clipboard might be applying records to the free space I have attached a few screen shots to give you an idea of the files being deposited in th... Read more

A:Shredding / Wiping software cannot wipe 10,000 Free Disc Space Files!

Give this one a go, select the DoD 7 passes, and then try and find something
http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/download.shtml

It should take hours and hours. However, the only real safe solution is to do a format - and then "erase" the whole drive.

BTW, this is free and in my opinion, the best! Why so eager to get rid of your traces tho?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shredding-wiping-software-cannot-wipe-10-000-free-disc-space-files.647768/
Relevancy 55.04%

I recently allowed automatic updates to install windows xp sp3. It seemed to be going smoothly until the process locked up about 90% through. I killed it & sp3 was dutifully removed and sp2 restored. However, my graphic drivers are broken and not assessable. I cannot uninstall them, nor can I re-install them.
Has anyone else seen this? More to the point, short of a complete reinstall, what can I do?
Thanks,
cnc_

Relevancy 55.04%

I have a Win XP SP2 desktop. I lost use of the optical drives a while ago (both the factory DVDROM and a DVD Burner that I installed). When I tried to turn it on, I found that my keyboard (which worked before) does not work on my login screen (I have password protection on the alt logon...the one with just the username and a password box).

I booted into Ubuntu from a Live CD (I can do anything before Windows loads). Everything worked fine.

How can I go about fixing this?

Relevancy 53.75%

Okay that was worst idea i ever had, i installed nvidia drivers. I downloaded it from website and unfortunatley i chose to automatically find drivers. As everyone expects, it downloaded wrong driver for me.
Now it only allows 640x480 resolution, and the screen is messed and in crazy colours.
I can uninstall drivers, but if i do this - i think - i wont be able to boot my windows again. because it happened once before and i had to reinstall windows.
i have geforce fx 5900 (i think, but im not sure - actually thats why i chose 'auto find')

I cant do system restore... its turned off for me.

A:Solved: nvidia drivers killed my graphics

Try going to device manager and roll back the driver..Also you should be able to boot in to "safe mode"...restart and hit F8 until you get a screen with "would you like to run windows in safe mode". Use the up-down keys and enter.. Once in safe mode then find the device manager..and change your driver back one. It has a list.
Sid

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-nvidia-drivers-killed-my-graphics.750747/
Relevancy 53.75%

Neither my original or new drive will boot into Windows XP SP Instead I get an Software Cloning Killed and New Disk Old error screen BSOD quot Windows could not start because of a Cloning Software Killed Old and New Disk computer disk hardware configuration problem Cloning Software Killed Old and New Disk Could not read from the selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware I was using the Acronis True Image Echo Workstation software to clone a WD GB Raptor Cloning Software Killed Old and New Disk SATA drive to a new Maxtor GB SATA drive This was at Seagate s recommendation because their MaxBlast software that came with the drive didn t quot see quot the new drive to allow software use The Acronis software was a download from their site which was then installed and rebooted to a DOS like environment to do the cloning It did the cloning and I unplugged the old SATA disk the WD and tried to boot I got a BSOD with an error message - not the same message I have now - I think it said quot Error Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows Installations This error may be caused by a corrupt file system Use CHKDSK to detect any disk errors I booted the PC the first time with only one HDD connected - First time with only new drive no USB Flash drives secondary drives etc - Second time with only new drive connected - still nothing else When I booted the machine it would not boot into Windows XP SP I booted with the Windows XP CD and it did not detect any Windows installation so only offered a new install or the Recovery Console It did not offer to fix an existing installation When looking at the HDD from the Recovery Console I could see the entire disk tree in the C drive and it appears fine From the Recovery Console I ran FIXMBR C then FIXBOOT C then Copy NTLDR C then Copy NTDETECT C then BOOTCFG REBUILD which failed saying quot Error Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows Installations This error may be caused by a corrupt file system which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning Use CHKDSK to detect any disk errors I ran CHKDSK R which required running first as F and then P I ran the same commands with each HDD the old and new - with only again one disk in the machine Both disks seem perfectly readable from the Recovery Console Running BOOTCFG with the switches Add Scan and Rebuild returned an error quot Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations This error may be caused by a corrupt file system use CHKDSK to detect disk errors I also copied an XPsp boot ini and ntoskrnl exe files into C and C WINNT System respectively from another working machine Any ideas anyone I m suspecting one of the partition or bootloader files is missing or corrupted and a small change will make the difference Are there utilities that can look for these kinds of problems a file I still need to copy or something to edit I m trying to learn as well as fix this headache I ve created without a full reload BTW the Windows disk also doesn t quot see quot the installation because it doesn t give the quot repair quot choice when reloading Windows from the Upgrade CD Acronis is out of ideas They think the problem may have been caused by cloning an Upgrade version of XP from W instead of a full new install of XP Thank you nbsp

A:Cloning Software Killed Old and New Disk

Interesting - I use Acronis myself and successfully moved both XP SP3 and Vista Home Premium to new drives. Both are upgrades, so Acronis is truly out of ideas.

I'm not quite sure if you can do it from a boot disk, but I had a problem once that in Windows, the disk that got moved was not assigned a letter (in my case E: ) in Windows system. I could assign it manually from the hardware manager.

Hope it gives you some path for investigating it deeper.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cloning-software-killed-old-and-new-disk.109801/
Relevancy 53.32%

My ASUS Notebook was running fine when I went to bed the other night and Windows did an auto update I logged on the next morning and all the USB Network Adapter and Sound drivers were dead I checked and it appears that a few of the components of the Windows update did not complete successfully Net framework Silverlight etc so I assume this has something to do with it I assumed it would be no big deal to fix the drivers but boy was I wrong Here's what I've tried unfixable? Windows auto 7 killed by update, drivers USB/Net and failed to fix the issue Uninstall latest updates no effect Rollback to earlier recovery point failed no recovery points found even though I had system set to auto set them Update rollback uninstall reinstall all affected drivers reinstall fails every time with the message quot Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware The driver USB/Net drivers killed by Windows 7 auto update, unfixable? may be corrupted or missing Code quot Download drivers on other computer burn to disc install on broken system same fail USB/Net drivers killed by Windows 7 auto update, unfixable? as in Uninstall all affected drivers then use Driver amp Utility disc that came with system to auto-detect and reinstall original drivers same fail as in I can't connect to the net to run Windows Update again and I can't back up my files since I USB/Net drivers killed by Windows 7 auto update, unfixable? have no USB connectivity Is there anything I can do short of a total reformat I assume the system is corrupted in some way Is there a selective way to determine what's broken and a tool to repair it Please help

A:USB/Net drivers killed by Windows 7 auto update, unfixable?

go to Command Prompt and run <sfc /scannow>

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/214972-usb-net-drivers-killed-windows-7-auto-update-unfixable.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hmm was thinking of going back to Zone Alarm as I used it for years and loved it HOWEVER after reading the post on quot Recomendation against Zone Alarm Firewall http www techspot com vb topic html quot I am up in the air of which one to use Any advice on firewalls would much appreciated Anti-Virus software What antivirus software is recommended I have used AVG for years then went to avast couple years ago I actually use full versions not the free ones lol I need Firewall advice - Software Anti-Virus & Software am wondering should I stick with avast or go to a new one as I got days left on my license I searched the internet and according to quot Top Reviews http anti-virus-software-review toptenreviews com v quot BitDefender Antivirus Pro is the best anti-virus software OR would it Anti-Virus Software & Firewall Software - need advice be good to go with something like Norten Security I am not a real Norton fan but I want what is Anti-Virus Software & Firewall Software - need advice best for my computer Again any advice would much appreciated David Lambie Skype YES unsure if can put it here nbsp

A:Anti-Virus Software & Firewall Software - need advice

I had Norton pre-installed on my computer when I got it and I honestly dont like it. .. it seemed to cause more problems than it solved for me.

I use Avast! Antivirus and reccomend it to friends/family. It has a free eddition you can download and trial if you're unsure. You can get a free yearly subscription which is easy to renew when needed. I have never had a problem with Avast and think it might be a good starting point.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/anti-virus-software-firewall-software-need-advice.159740/
Relevancy 48.16%

Anyone use this program? http://www.fileshredder.org/
What is the best way to be sure that you have totally erased/deleted a file off of your hard drive?

A:file shredding

Under modern versions of Windows, you can use the built-in cipher.exe tool to securely wipe free disk space after deleting sensitive files the normal way.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/468582/file-shredding/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi I hope you can answer my question. I am removing some computers that may contain sensitive info from a network. The computers were Win2K Fat32. I formatted the hard drives and installed Win2k NTFS. Is this sufficient. If it isn't, how would it be recommended to go back and remove that data?

Hope that was clearer than mud.

Thanks
Harv

A:File Shredding Question

Although you formatted, there may be some remnants.Not usually retrievable without special methods and equipment.I use a free program called File Shredder for this simple operation.Of course it has to be used before the formatting, but will work on anything you might find left over.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/228510/file-shredding-question/
Relevancy 47.73%

How to delete/shred files securely so that no software can recover/undelete those deleted files

A:Shredding files securely

Eraser is one option.

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shredding-files-securely.590868/
Relevancy 47.73%

This appeared last year (July?)but I have tried all the solutions to no avail. Trying to install free Norton with my ROgers account but despite all uninstall both manually and with regedit cleaners, Rogers Norton installation procedure stopped by "must uninstall McAfee Shredder". My son accidentally installed 'something' when prompted months ago.

I am at the point of hating Norton and McAfee and PCs in general. But it will be a few years before I make the switch to MAC. In the meantime, how can I get Norton Anti-Virus software on my computer or is there an alternative??? My son needs antivirus on computer to be allowed to connect to university network.

Relevancy 47.73%

I was using System Mechanic 6 and its incinerator option that let you deleted files "up to military grade" it claimed. Upon advise from this forum I uninstalled all my add-on programs like S.M. 6. So I need to get a new file shredder. I heard that if you delete something from your PC it can be reconstructed. I from time to time need something I know will make the file unreachable to anyone. Is there such a product and if so which ones are the best?

A:What's The Best File Shredding Program?

Think of deleting a file, as tearing the Table of Contents out of a book.How to navigate through the book is missing, but the contents of the book is still there.Shredding makes a selected number of passes, back and forth over the file, with 1's and 0's.The same as passing a book through a shredder, over and over.The more passes, the less the chance of reconstructing the book (file).Spybot has a shredder feature.Tools / Secure ShredderDrag the file into the open box.At the bottom, select the number of shreds.Click the Chop it away! button.Use 4 shreds or more, to be sure the file isn't able to be recovered, without the use of some expensive software.You can also use third-party software, which is what I do.I use Eraser.It adds an entry to the context menu (right-click menu), which, for me, is easier to use.Just right-click the file, and select Erase.It can also be set, to the number of shredding passes you want to use.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81926/whats-the-best-file-shredding-program/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi Guys I need a file shredding software with the hepl of which I can permenantly delete unwanted files and folders The software should also have an option to overwrite all unused space in the disk so that if by chance some files gets deleted normally Erasing / Shredding ??? Date it still can be overwritten this way Moreover this feature will help again in clearing the swap content of the system I have tried two shredding softwares st being a part of Tuneup Utilities but the problem here is that there is no option for overwriting free disk space nd software I used is called Eraser Although this software has the option of overwriting unused space I tried this Date Shredding / Erasing ??? option in one of my disks but unfortunately didnt find this feature to be so effective as I still could recover some data using a recovery software called quot Recover My Files quot Please recommend me a software which is really strong and recovery wont be possible after erasing with it Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/date-shredding-erasing.598122/
Relevancy 47.73%

I was using a file recovery program, and i found years of old documents still on my computer.

I tried using the CCleaner gutman 37 passes but, unfortunately its not deleting it. Would i have to recover the files then re-delete them with the gutman?

A:Secure file shredding

You can use Eraser to wipe the free space.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/secure-file-shredding.677836/
Relevancy 47.3%

On Windows 8...

If a program cannot be shredded due to error messages or processing overload, then would deleting said files, emptying the recylcing bin, and then shredding free disc space shred their contents? Since technically, without registry adresses, they should be seen by something like File Shredder as free disc space.

Don't ask for specifics because I've done this for a number of files, and a number of circumstances for which I could not shred them. Sometimes I got program in operation messages, even though it wasn't. Other times, File Shredder froze-up from overloading.

A:Very quick question re. deleting & shredding

Yes.

But the following can happen: before you get the time to run your shredder, some free disk space (from deleted files) has been used and is no longer free.
The content has been overwritten with the new file, thus you can no longer shred it.

If you have problems with your shredder, try Sysinternal's sdelete:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897443.aspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544903/very-quick-question-re-deleting-shredding/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hey All, is there a tool available like Eraser ( http://eraser.heidi.ie/ ) that can be customized into a batch file so executing the batch file will erase selected partitions and/or folders on a drive with your desired shredding method?
Thanks.

A:Solved: One-Click Shredding Tool?

After some digging it turns out Eraser has a command line launcher with the options I was looking for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-one-click-shredding-tool.928532/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi Guys!

I have seen lots of software that claim to erase data permanantly, There are many softwares who also claim to erase all unused space on the HDD thus making it unrecoverable. I do understand that merely deleting a file can always be recovered as it still exists on the HDD. What I dont understand is why do we need to rewrite the same space (incase of shredding a file) or the unused space space of the HDD so many number of times (35 times in case of Peter Gutman) when only writing once on that space should do the job.

Is it some marketing funda or is there some logic behind it.

Chao...

A:File & Folder Erasing/Shredding???

See item 2 here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-folder-erasing-shredding.640573/
Relevancy 46.87%

Yello I have and my processor RAM my killed killed Pop-ups my raped been having pop-ups on my computer for a little over two weeks now I ve Pop-ups killed my killed my processor and raped my RAM tried to block ports on my firewall Comodo scan with my antivirus Avira and block sites in IE The pop-ups open in IE which helps me a bit as I use Firefox so I just blocked IE on the firewall but it will still open up a blank IE window very often One of the sites that comes up starts with adtrt com and is about lines long I ran HijackThis and fixed two empty file entries and three unauthorized trusted sites that all had the words quot mirar quot and quot search quot in it On my Active Connections page of the firewall it shows a bunch of ports that send info from Firefox whenever I change pages and three suspect applications are listening on tcp at all times two svchosts one at and the other at and one named system thats listening on After fixing the previously mentioned sections on HijackThis I restarted my pc and scanned with Avira and its still here Below I ve included my current HT log and I ve already got Combofix which is ready to go I ve disabled some services maybe system restore ones I can t remember Any explanation of my symptoms and hopefully some solutions would be greatly appreciated I m about to go angry german kid on this thing Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System WLTRYSVC EXE C WINDOWS System bcmwltry exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic sched exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avguard exe C Program Files COMODO Firewall cmdagent exe C WINDOWS system WLTRAY exe C WINDOWS stsystra exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avgnt exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files COMODO Firewall cfp exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system msiexec exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Source Engine OSE EXE C WINDOWS SoftwareDistribution Download Install windows-kb -v -delta exe c b f b e ea f ef c d d mrtstub exe C WINDOWS system MRT exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - A C -B - EDB- - D C EC - C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Toolbar ViewBarBHO dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar Viewpoint Toolbar - F AD AA -D - - DAF- D B - C Program Files Common Files Viewpoint Toolbar Runtime IEViewBar dll O - HKLM Run Broadcom Wireless Manager UI C WINDOWS system WLTRAY exe O - HKLM Run SigmatelSysTrayApp stsystra exe O - HKLM Run IntelliPoint quot C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe quot O - HKLM Run Windows Defender quot C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe q... Read more

A:Pop-ups killed my killed my processor and raped my RAM

Anybody?

Just about an hour ago, I think the virus is stepped up its game. When I tried to shutdown, I got a firewall message saying that a file in system32 called '~.exe' was trying to create a new file or directory. It couldn't identify the application it was associated with as being MS or safe, so I blocked it, based on that and that the file name it tried to create was a bunch of random letters. As it continued to retry but with a new created file name, I went and added it to my blocked applications list. Once I did that, no more alerts. On the other hand, now when I try and run an application, it says that It can't be accessed, and perphaps because I don't have appropriate permissions. When I tried to open Run, it tells me that it can't create a shortcut there, and would I like one on the desktop. I said no, which left me with nothing, and once I re did it and said yes it made one with a name and target of '&Run' (is that a normal path for Run?).
Further, most icons or pictures that aren't already open (i.e. the desktop and start menu programs icons) won't display if I view them in a Windows type view.
Please help! I'm fearing for the worst!
Edit: I forgot to mention, I can open control panel, haven't tried to run anything tho because i think my firewall may be blocking exe's, I can't tell tho because I can't open the information box to read up and Idon't see why it would be (unless the virus changed it?)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pop-ups-killed-my-killed-my-processor-and-raped-my-ram.799840/
Relevancy 46.44%

So, I'm selling my laptop and I want to be safe and shread my disk. I'm going to use DBAN, people seem to like that one. I understand the process of burning it and starting the pc with that but after that process is complete what do I do? When I turn on my pc will everything be gone where I can't even get to the BIOS? I need to reinstall windows onto the disk and I'm unsure of how to do so since my copy of windows is on a partition on the disk. If someone could please explain this to me or point me to a guide I would be very greatful.

Thank you

A:Shredding my disk - need a few simple questions answered please

If you have a restore partition on your disk,there should be
a utility that allows you to make a set of restore disks.
What model laptop?

Most computers these days don't come with a bios overlay
on the hard drive,so it shouldn't affect the bios.
Might want to check the manufacturer website support section though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shredding-my-disk-need-a-few-simple-questions-answered-please.958965/
Relevancy 46.44%

Anyone use Eraser 5.82? I see a problem w/ "On Demand" erasing of prefetch files.

The eraser forum / support is kind of weak. Lots of questions from users never get answered, including this one.

Under "Files on Folder", I selected "C:\Windows\Prefetch\". (I think that should be "Files IN Folder").
All options on that screen - "Subfolders", "Remove Folders" and "Only Subfolders " are all UNchecked.

When through erasing, it says those prefetch files and a few others like index.dat, are locked (this is normal). I give Eraser permission to run at next startup to finish erasing those, and it does erase all the others EXCEPT the prefetch.

Is this a bug (can't really find a bug report / list on Heidi Computer's site)? Or am I missing something or doing something wrong? ...Nah, that's not possible.

Thanks.

A:Eraser shredding prgm setting problem

The prefetch folder is special. You are not allowed to modify the contents of the files there and that's exactly what Eraser does - it overwrites the file contents several times.

Anyway, why would you want to clean up the prefetch folder? Maybe you should take a look at this article:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000619.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/eraser-shredding-prgm-setting-problem.75731/
Relevancy 46.44%

Anyone use Eraser 5.82? I see a problem w/ "On Demand" erasing of prefetch files.

The eraser forum / support is kind of weak. Lots of questions from users never get answered, including this one.

Under "Files on Folder", I selected "C:\Windows\Prefetch\". (I think that should be "Files IN Folder").
All options on that screen - "Subfolders", "Remove Folders" and "Only Subfolders " are all UNchecked.

When through erasing, it says those prefetch files and a few others like index.dat, are locked (this is normal). I give Eraser permission to run at next startup to finish erasing those, and it does erase all the others EXCEPT the prefetch.

Is this a bug (can't really find a bug report / list on Heidi Computer's site)? Or am I missing something or doing something wrong? ...Nah, that's not possible.

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/eraser-shredding-prgm-setting-problem.565078/
Relevancy 46.01%

Can anyone recommend a secure file shredding program

Thanks in advance.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8173 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 114442 MB, Free - 30503 MB; D: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 853697 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8P67-M PRO
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2014, Updated and Enabled

A:Solved: Recommend secure file shredding program

Hi,
I've seen (free) Eraser recommended for basic tasks like that. It's not for wiping an entire hard drive.
http://eraser.heidi.ie/

Hope that's of interest?
Richard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-recommend-secure-file-shredding-program.1125245/
Relevancy 46.01%

I've got someone who asked me and now I'm asking you guys.

A FREE program, reputable and safe, that can be used to overwrite files and folders to securely erase them.

Tried searching the thread above (Search This Thread), but nothing came up.

A:Looking for a good, FREE file and folder shredding program

I suggest Recuva, made by the same people that made CCleaner. Does both recover files, and overwrite them. https://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/344057-looking-good-free-file-folder-shredding-program.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello folks, I am up and running with Windows 7.
All seems to be alright.
Now I want to Backup my Drivers.

What is the favourite app to use.
I just want to backup the drivers.
I don't want to have to use the backup software to Restore a driver.

Needless to say, I have System Restore points and Acronis backups of full system and data.
I am interested in just the Drivers.
And want to use only tried and tested apps.
Thanks,

A:I want to Backup my Drivers - advice please

Backing up an installed driver is not of much use. You need the installation .exe. If you still have those, you just copy or move the folders to a drive of your choice. What, in fact, are you trying to accomplish?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/35579-i-want-backup-my-drivers-advice-please.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Never had any problems with running WOW on my laptop, but I saw that people with my same laptop were getting 3 times the framerate as me. I have searched but can't find if I'm using the best driver for my card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hp dv2715nr
2g Ram
160g Hd
Amd Turion 64x2
Vista
Nvidia Geforce 7150m/nForce630m
Forceware version 156.65

Relevancy 45.58%

Hey I am running a year old home built PC I'm a complete newbie at working on my PC If I run into issues I generally just google search or accept it However I thought I might give it my best effort to make my computer run at it's best I have other issues other than this but whatever I just did a clean install of Windows on my SSD and I was wondering if I could get advice need advice update I'm drivers for if on to looking I on important drivers and such I have already been to AMD and updated those drivers I used TweakBit Driver updater to check for which drivers were out of date but not to update them I don't trust third party driver installers I guess I'm wondering if all of these are important or if I can rely on the information that this program gave me or if I should even bother updating these drivers at all seeings as everything seems to be working 'fine' My Motherboard is ASRock H M U S and in case those images didn't work Imgur

A:I'm looking for advice on if I need to update drivers

Why not go straight to the main man, the ASRock support site and download your drivers from there.

After doing that you can go to the various hardware component manufactuerers and possibly update the drivers for those components, but if things are working correctly it is not really necessary.

Driver updating applications, including MS updates sometimes gets your hardware wrong, sometimes older drivers are better than the latest ones. This has applied to every PC/Laptop I have had.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65429-im-looking-advice-if-i-need-update-drivers.html
Relevancy 45.15%

have a WD hard drive WD 2500Me passport HDD , some reasons its not been recognized on any of the pcs in the house.
Please could one help with softwares as lost the manufacturer disc and WD website not helping at all. or any advice got most of my works on it
thanks

A:WD HDD software/advice

Just in case, you could try to reboot your computer with the hdd plugged in, to see if it makes any difference.
Is the hdd recognized by Disk Management (Start-Run "diskmgmt.msc")?
If you boot your computer with the hdd plugged in, is it recognized by your BIOS?
Another option is that it's not getting enough power from your USB port, some external hdds come with two USB cables, one for power and one for data transfer.

There is also a chance that your hdd is dead.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-hdd-software-advice.169494/
Relevancy 45.15%

I am looking for a good software package that is not that expensive that I could make a image of my hard drive so that once a month I could format my drive and reload the original load so that my machine is like new again and gets rid of any changes that sypware or software has made. I have heard of a program called goback that returns your machine to the way it was locked down each time it is rebooted. Are there any others that are good?

I don't know if it is possible to burn a series of CD's with a program like this to make a exact load image of everything that is on my hard drive?

Relevancy 45.15%

i need something to scan my system and detect any/all files and icons that can/will be determined uneeded in my system. anything left over and out of date. i have found some "trash" from programs that i uninstalled months ago.

also, i am an earthlink subscriber. i use their spyware blocker. when it detects spyware, it puts them in a quaranitne folder.
is it safe to delete the contents of the quarantine folder.

thanks for the help. i have learned quite a bit here.
stay cool........steaks355

A:i need software advice

You don't state which Win OS you're using - so check out these to see whats on offer, making sure of course that they are compatible with your system :

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4122.html

http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/index.html

http://www.regedit.com/downloads/helpfile.html

http://www.tipsdr.com/reg-cleaner.html

http://www.docsdownloads.com/regclean.htm

It might be worth reading through this previous TSG thread concerning registry cleaners also:

http://forums.techguy.org/t198325/scf036f06d33d5709d11ebabeb845bb4e.html

Here are a couple of sites with quite a wide range of Free and Shareware :

http://www.soft411.com/software/tweak.html

http://www.webattack.com (Hit Free or Shareware tabs at the top then search.)

Remember also to post for help before using any utility if you have any doubts.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-need-software-advice.200478/
Relevancy 45.15%

just had a new pc built & a hiro v.92 56k pci modem was installed. I thought the fax software came along, but apparently not. Now I need a dependable program to use with Windows 7

thanks

A:Fax software - need advice

Not to be a wise guy, but have you done any searching. A google search would be the place to start.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/324592-fax-software-need-advice.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi guys.
English is not my native language, so could you help me with the correct name of my program?
The program is not for home use. The program name is looks like "Network usage monitor" and it generates reports and alerts. But I suspect that the word "monitor" has a different meaning.
On download.com very few programs with a name that contains the word "monitor".
Maybe the best variant is something from the bellow words?
controller, watcher, inspector, auditor, checker, examiner
Could you help please?

A:Need advice for software name

Is my English is so bad that no one will understand the question? Sorry for that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498411/need-advice-for-software-name/
Relevancy 45.15%

I've got a document scanner (my Canon MX870)
I'm getting rid of my documents - scanning and throwing in the bin

But, it's still annoying having to type notes with the document
How can I reduce this work?

The answer: OCR software??

I've never used OCR software before

OK, so I know you can use the software to get text from a PDF or image scan
But for my purposes, what should I do? How best do I file away - and then be able to retrieve or search?

One thing of importance is the file name itself

Does anyone know how the professional document scanning companies work?
What do they use? What methods do they use?

Thanks
OM

Relevancy 45.15%

First off let me say I looked around Advice Software and couldn't find anywhere else to post this thread so I decided to post one here considering the software I'm looking for would have to be XP compatable Please feel free to have an Adimin Moderator move this Software Advice thread to a more appropriate place if it does not fit here thanks Anyways I've ran into a dilema recently with a personal day planner program I have been using quot Anytime Software Advice Deluxe quot which is a day planner that lets you merge two files into one I had been using it for my buisness and have had somone else use it on a diffrent computer when they do work for me However when I go to merge the data from Software Advice what I have imputed with the file he has it makes duplicates of every single contact and schedual put in Example I place a order on to sell to person X My friend on a seperate file places an order on to sell to person Y I merge the files together and I get sell to person X sell to person X sell to person Y sell to person Y I was wondering if anyone knew of any agenda software out there that allowed you to merge files without duplicating information Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions

A:Software Advice

Hello & welcome to TSF,

here is a couple of links to some programs

http://www.monkeyjob.com/FileMonk/La...FRsRagodSSe3jQ

http://www.oorjasoftware.com/download.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/software-advice-321361.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Good Morning,

I was looking at the following web page that sells OEM software.

http://trkru.hefkkbnbn.com/?xM36zixH65Eqj1xbGBoYF

I sure don't endorse the page and never have done business with them.

A full Adobe Photoshop 7 is for sale at $99.00 and I will admit that it does interest me.

Has anyone here had any experience buying this type of software and is it legal to purchase the OEM software?

I understand that you don't get company support, but that has never been a problem with me.

I have a new Dell with XP. Any personal experience you might have with purchasing OEM software would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian

Relevancy 45.15%

Hi All I am new to this site and have a question for the experts We are considering setting up a small business doing advertising for local businesses via TFT monitor displays these would be connected to basic dell PC s running XP We are looking for some software or program that Advice Software can boot straight into essentially the equivalent of a power point presentation This is so that when the outlet shuts down Software Advice all electrical devices at night then opens up the next day the set Software Advice up would just burst back into the advertising Ideally these machines would have no keyboard or mouse so that no other users would play with it and mess anything up As we are still trying to gage interest and work out business viability we don t want to go with a paid service with support I am wondering if you guys know of maybe an older program that could do this Any advice would be appreciated Regards Chandler nbsp

A:Software Advice

I'm thinking create .scr (screen saver file) or .gif (animated) I have used both of these successfully for a changing information display. I use Irfanview to make the .scr files from numerous image files. Best of luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/software-advice.1141637/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello all I need on for advice 8500 Radeon best drivers need some advice on the best drivers for my Radeon I currently have a AMD gig cpu w a A V Socket A mobo KT A chipset with a Radeon mb vid card with the drivers that came on the disk the ones and windows SE megs of SDRAM sound card etc I downloaded the ones but when i double clicked on the executable it said quot contents of this file cannot be unpacked The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted Please verify the integrity of the file by attempting to download it again quot I find that odd since I downloaded that driver file straight off of ATI s website And yes I have direct x need advice on best drivers for Radeon 8500 you need that for this file I am getting issues in Aliens versus Predator First of all it looks really jagged I have it on the default settings but still the game has lots of aliasing going on it All the settings are on medium too I get some minor slowdowns or slowdowns here and there I am assuming this is cause by the current driver I have for my video card Any ideas on the way to get the best driver for the Radeon video card nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello I ve had a somewhat frustrating experience Advice drivers on 7500 mobility on this hunt - but maybe Advice on mobility 7500 drivers it can be cleared up with your help I posted a question on the quot hardware quot forum about getting updated drivers for the Radeon Mobility as I ve gotten a Vaio PCG- L L laptop to play around with I found out that installing the Omega driver quot a quot may very well help improve performance when running some older games BF IL- CFS I downloaded it to a flash drive and I m prepared to install it I m just very nervous about uninstalling the original ATI drivers and replacing them with these will it work or will I kill the laptop I know that ATI AMD doesn t support this card anymore and neither does Sony I do my serious photo work and net surfing browsing with a MAC so I m not used to dealing with the tech stuff on Windows How do I get the drivers in without killing the computer A step by step guide for me would be very nice thanks nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

As a rule on drivers which Advice update to Solved: I follow the quot if it ain t broke don t fix it quot Solved: Advice on which drivers to update rule with drivers My brother-in-law who is far more tech savvy than I am insisted that I check on driver updates and I was shocked to see how many were available I am looking for advice on which -- if any -- of the drivers below I should update Since my pc is working fine I d rather err on the side of caution but would welcome your recommendations Thanks ------ Display adapters NVIDIA GeForce GT current available IDE ATA ATAPI controllers Intel R ICH port Serial ATA Storage Controller - current available Intel R ICH port Serial ATA Storage Controller - current available Network adapters Realtek RTL PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC current available Sound video and game controllers Realtek High Definition Audio current available ATI Unified AVStream Driver current available System devices Intel R PCI Bridge - E current available Intel R ICH LPC Interface Controller - current available Intel R ICH Family SMBus Controller - current available Intel R ICH Family PCI Express Root Port - current Solved: Advice on which drivers to update available Intel R ICH Family PCI Express Root Port - current available Intel R ICH Family PCI Express Root Port - current available Intel R G G P Express Chipset Processor to I O Controller - C current available Intel R G G P Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - C current available Universal Serial Bus controllers Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - current available Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - same Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - same Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - same Intel R ICH Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - A same Intel R ICH Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - C same Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - same Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - same nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

My System Mechanic Pro has been misbehaving. An Iolo support technician did a remote access on my laptop. After about 33 minutes he said the problem was corrupted Microsoft drivers, and that an Iolo Microsoft Certified technician would have to take control of my laptop for an hour through remote access and go into the registry to fix the corrupted drivers. I asked him what drivers were corrupted. He took me to the Services tab on the System Configuration window via msconfig. He said every Microsoft service with a "stopped" status was in fact a corrupted driver. He said I could take it to the Geek Squad, but that Iolo could do it for $50 cheaper. He wants $199.00. I don't believe anything he said, but I could be wrong. Or should I just uninstall System Mechanic and be done with it?

A:Sorting out possible bad advice regarding Win 7 drivers vs Services

Just because a service is Stopped, it does not mean it's corrupted.

If it were me, I would uninstall System Mechanic Pro and then see how your system behaves after that. If System Mechanic Pro is the only thing that's acting up, then it should be uninstalled and never installed again. If your system continues to have problems after that, then I believe that we here at SevenForums can help you fix it for free.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/277375-sorting-out-possible-bad-advice-regarding-win-7-drivers-vs-services.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Is there a set of drivers i can get for win2kpro so i can play games?

A:{Advice Offered} - gl drivers for win2k PRO

Greetings

Exactly what kind of video card do you have?

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-gl-drivers-for-win2k-pro.29817/
Relevancy 44.72%

Okay so I'm having a small annoying problem Need advice. SVChost.exe issue, drivers? with my computer Sometimes when I put my computer into sleep mode and I wake it up the cpu usage rise up to - That's when it's idle it's not under any load and it stays like that until next reboot and only then it's normalized It's really strange it's not even every day that it happens and sometimes it also happens while browsing the web but I'm not sure on that I need SVChost.exe issue, drivers? Need advice. to monitor it more to be sure Most of my browsing is on YT and when I watch videos in full screen no less the issue sometimes appear So if that's the case could it be an issue with my graphics drivers I actually do not have the latest SVChost.exe issue, drivers? Need advice. drivers so should I first update my NVIDIA drivers I do not play many games and the games I do play do not require the latest drivers so I don't quot need quot to SVChost.exe issue, drivers? Need advice. update And then there's the other problem The problem appears when I put the computer to sleep and after I wake it up I open task manager and what do I see Stupid cpu is under load for no reason I've also inspected my processes with process explorer and it's SVChost that's the culprit here Under eventviewer there's an entry for Realtek Ethernet Family Controller driver I do not use Ethernet I use a usb dongle connected on the back of the computer for Wi-Fi connectivity as this computer did not have a wireless card So I'm thinking there might be an issue with the Ethernet driver I do have the LAN drivers installed so it should function properly from ASUS website my mobo manufacturer I searched online one day and someone was having a problem with this as well and the solution was disabling the wake-on-lan function I'm not sure how to do that though so please do tell me Also sometimes when I'm playing games this case age of empires HD when I quit the game I saw the cpu was at - load What's up with that And it did not reduce had to reboot computer I know for a fact that this is not a malware issue I did a full scan with malwarebytes one scan with hitman pro cloud scanner and countless quick scans with MSE every time it says 'you have not scanned for a while you might be at risk' And there are no suspicious processes in process explorer I also did a scan with MBAR the rootkit scanner and it found zero threats I also would like to know whether I have all my drivers installed I have the LAN driver sound driver and finally the graphics driver I don't know if I have the chipset driver In control panel there's an entry for quot ATI catalys install manager quot Is that the chipset driver I'm not sure How do I install the chipset driver This problem is very strange and I do not know what to do This is a fresh Windows install by me It's only a couple months old

A:SVChost.exe issue, drivers? Need advice.

Yep, it happened again, I'm just browsing the web and the cpu surges up to 30%. Grrrrrr.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-vista/127469-svchost-exe-issue-drivers-need-advice.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am responsible for a 70 station network in a school. We have a CD stacker which we have outgrown. I have installed a large HDD in one machine and want to copy the CD's to the drive and run them from there.

Is there any software about which will allow me to do this? The exe file just keeps looking for a CD drive rather than the C drive.

many thanks in advance

A:{Advice Offered} - CD software

Greetings

There are a few software solutions available on the net where you can "copy" an exact image of the CD onto your HD, and run a virtual CD software to emulate a CD-ROM drive. Then load these CD image files into the virtual CD-ROM drive and your system will think that the real CD has just been put into the CD-ROM (when, in fact, it is running off your Hard Drive).

The best piece of software used to be CD Copier by IMSIsoft. But they seem to have gone bankrupt (or at least, are not supporting the CD Copier software range any more). So I had to go look for new solutions.

This is what I found:

<ul>
[*] CDspace (Cons: New version in BETA stage, the support personnel have English as a second language, no NT/2K support. Pros: Claims that BETA supports Diablo II)
[*] VirtualCD (Cons: Also has new version in BETA stage, support personnel are in Germany. Pros: Supports all OS's, Supports mixed mode CDs, supports Audio CDs, Small download - 1.6Megs)
[*] Virtual Drive 2000 (Ver 5.1) (Cons: Only one virtual drive in NT/2000, large download - 5Megs, incompatible with Client32 from Novell. Pros: Can create "virtual CD" from files on hard drive)
[*] Paragon Cd Emulator (Cons: Disk image not compatible with other products mentioned. Pros: Supports Audio CDs)
[/list]
There might be a few more. Personally, I used to only use CD Copier, but when I upgraded to Win2k I had to find a new solution. I found Virtual Drive from Farstone, and stuck with that. In answering this post, I have downloaded the two other programs and I am going to have a look at them.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-cd-software.28942/
Relevancy 44.72%

So as we all know everyone on a google search has an opinion A lot of the times it's an opinion that they have no education or background or familiarity on what is being asked but they just need to give thier cents to hear themselves speak Well cents didn't get me to the bottom of software advice DVD please! Burning the first google page before I was done So since we all at least have some interests in PC's however it may be and I trust that everyone on here isn't just blowing thier days by and just commenting on things they know nothing about plus I don't think I have ever had a bad bit of info come my way from this site I love it here I'm going to ask this question in a place that I at DVD Burning software advice please! least have faith in my peers I have been using ConvertXtoDVD for the last century it seems Is it the best probably not even close For what I was doing and teaching myself how to achive the end result of putting movies onto a playable DVD for a home DVD player so my DVD Burning software advice please! year old son could watch them the program worked flawlessly for me mind you Time has went by I have advanced some here and there getting movies games making back ups of my hard copies etc and since I first started using this program there have been new file formats added to this world of media I had a problem burning MP videos to dvd It said it burned it but wouldn't play on home dvd player blah blah blah So after wasting discs and THEN deciding it wasn't going to fix it's self I decided after all these years to hit the update button Pandora's box I got the newest version need my old serial Key to unlock the new updated version in order to do that I have to give my registered email Like I said it's been a century since I first installed it Knowing the email I was using years ago is beyond me So now I'm stuck with new version on a quot trial quot limited features basis Hence it will leave watermarks in everything I burn or use old one which isn't working that's why I'm in this mess Did a google for and please mind what this consists of being it's me and I'm just a basic DVD burning home ec taught dad I want a similar program preferably free without limitations if not no sence in going that route I'll buy but then inexpensive that is a basic user friendly GUI once your preferences are set initially your good put a couple cheap o titles on the menu screen maybe a cheap o background image WILL DE-ENCODE AND RE-ENCODE AND BURN TO DISC WITH THE CLICK OF ONE BUTTON FROM THIS ONE PROGRAM I don't want to mess with this program to de-encode or convert to a certain file from original file before I can burn etc that was the main reason I like ConvertXtoDVD so much no matter the file extention be it MPEG avi WMA etc I could click and drag it into the GUI hit convert and for a short wait it would spit me out a playable dvd for a home dvd player If anyone has some Software they are high on and would like to educate me I would appriciate it Or if they know how to fix my current problem with current burner I already went as far as a keygen for a new product key got past my morals since I originally did do it the quot right quot way years ago but Can get a key for every version of ConvertXtoDVD except the version I was updated to by default which is something something THANK YOU

A:DVD Burning software advice please!

STOP!

No piracy or discussion of piracy allowed at all. Such as software, music, videos and other intellectual property violations (e.g. downloading youtube videos locally etc).

Instead of asking for them, why don't you give Handbrake a try and see what you think.

Windows 7 Home Premium (and higher) comes with Windows DVD Maker which is simpler to use, but if you need any help with it, here's a tutorial on it.

Of course, if you want to go open source and have more control of what goes on your DVDs, then there's these:
http://www.dvdflick.net/index.php
http://dvdstyler.org/en/

Some new DVD Super-Multi drives and Blu-ray ReWriter drives usually ship with some software, usually Nero is preferred.

And we were debating whether we'd want to keep using ImgBurn as a preferred choice for burning *.ISO files, but as of this point, all signs point to NO. You might have to use the Windows built-in burner.
See the discussion thread covering this.

That's all I have on this matter. Just don't want to see someone booted off of here in a hurry.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/327842-dvd-burning-software-advice-please.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am a photography student and use an external drive to store all my work and my Lightroom catalog this way I can bring my catalog between college where I can work on the Mac s and home where I work on a laptop with Win Vista I have bought another external drive where I want to backup the first one on a weekly basis and store elsewhere in case of theft or fire I am not very tech savvy though and previous advice to try the free Cobain Backup software doesn t seem to be working for me as it Software on advice Need Backup s quite complicated to use for me Need advice on Backup Software anyway I tried looking for advice on Need advice on Backup Software their forum but basically just got told off for not reading the faqs and manual but I had and just didn t understand the tech jargon Is there either a free program that s easy to use or a relatively cheap one that has good Need advice on Backup Software support that will help me out Thanks in advance for any assistance nbsp

A:Need advice on Backup Software

I'm not a big fan of Cobian either, I prefer SyncBack Free. It's very easy to setup and use.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-on-backup-software.1085412/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have just started making slide shows with Microsoft Photostory 3 from Windows and would like to know what the best software program would be to use to burn these photostories onto a DVD (one not too expensive). I am looking at Sonic MyDVD since the limited edition was bundled with my Dell.
Any advice will be welcomed.
Thank you
Annette

A:Advice on DVD burning software

Sonic is fine for your purposes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-on-dvd-burning-software.308527/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have hesitated to install a popup ad killer because advertising is an important part of maintaining internet sites. However, some of these sites have gone beyond the ridiculous, so I would like your advice as to what you have found to be reliable software for this. After a search, I saw that this question comes up from time to time. Webwasher, Popup Killer, Popup Ad Filter, Popup Stopper, Quick Click (NBCi), AdSubtract Plus, Popki Popup Closer, AdShield, and Killad have been suggested. Also, Crazy browser or host files were mentioned as alternatives to software specifically for ad killing. Please recommend what you have found to work, whether it is new or one of the above. Thanks for your help!

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, My brother has 2 slave drives set up as a mirror raid using windows 10 software raid, He also has his main drive which has windows installed. He wants to upgrade his main drive to SSD.

How does he maintain the raid and install windows 10 with a fresh install. He has no desire to clone his drive he wants a fresh install.

Thanks Baz

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/software-raid-advice.1169856/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi

I am new to the forum and apologise if my question is not in the right forum

I am just starting to "look under the hood2 of my pc and i have installed speedfan to check it out

I have 2 questions

There is a setting in the speedfan configuration for cpu temp which is preset and i have the cpu fan speed set to automatic but it seems to go to 100% even if temp is below the setting. Am I missing something or is this ok.

Secondly I have downloaded my MObo configuration from the speed fan site and the files are sat in the speedfan folder but how do i load thwem as the setup for my MObo stil isnt in drop down list

Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction

Regards
Craig

A:Speedfan software advice please

Ok, here's how fans go:

Fans that have 3 pin connectors are the ones that will speed up or slow down depending on the computer temperature. These fans connect directly to the MOBO and are controlled there.

Fans that have 4 pin connectors plug into an open power plug coming from your power supply (Molex connectors: yellow, black, black, red). THese fans run at 100 percent all the time.

4 pin fans can not be controlled unless you plug them into a fan speed control device like this one: http://www.xoxide.com/subl4poblred.html

3 pin fans are controlled automatically by the MOBO.

There is no way of my knowledge to install anything onto a motherboard itself, sorry.
So in answer to your question:

1) You are not missing anything, the computer will control the fan how it needs to even if you don't notice.
2) You can't install anything directly onto the Motherboard. at least, i'm pretty darn sure. O_o;

Hope that's helpful!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/speedfan-software-advice-please.77527/
Relevancy 44.72%

I would like to start creating/editing my own DVD's.
I am running XP and currently have (2) different programs that came with my Compaq machine 2 years ago. They are:

Pinnacle studion Version 7.15.1

DVIit- Sonic by Compaq

Both are scaled down versions and need to be upgraded to get the full blown program.

I also have Roxio CD Creator 5 basic which could be upgraded to include a DVD editior.

I would like to either upgrade or purchase a complete new program that is easy to use and stable. Since both of the programs I have were developed about the time XP came out, I have got to think there are some big improvements now.
I have experienced some "lock ups" with the Pinnacle program and have noticed some comments from other people that the newer version is not much better.

Please offer me some suggestions. Thank you.

A:DVD Software Upgrade Advice

I've never heard a bad word about Nero 6 for dvd burning. (Roxio support stinks).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-software-upgrade-advice.192593/
Relevancy 44.72%

I'm looking to create a database for a business I'm trying to get up and running. I have Access, but I was wondering if there is better software out there. Also, the database will be online, so I need software that can create a database that will be acessible online. For instance, if I wanted to do a yellowpages kind of thing, someone can input the name in a field, and find a phone number for that name. I'm not doing that, but its just an example of what I need. If there is a "Name" field, and you put in "Joe Blow", it will show you all the numbers for "Joe Blow" on a webpage, etc....
If someone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!
TIA!

A:Just need some advice on database software

daves01902, which version of Access do you have?
Access versions 2000 and later are Web compatible, but you obviously need a Server.
Access is ideal for your business application, especially the searching and I have helped to create dozens of databases fro Posters on here and the VBAX forum, so if you need any help wiht let me know.
I do have point out that I have not done any Web work though, only the Access side. I know how to create the "access Web Pages" but I do not have a web site.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/just-need-some-advice-on-database-software.541298/
Relevancy 44.72%

I am looking for advice on back up software, preferably free. What I would like is a program which can be run manually so that I do not have to keep an external disc permanently connected (in case ransomware scrambles the lot) but which after the first run will only back up files which have changed since the last run (to save time). Is there such a program and, if so, has anybody got experience of running it in the way I describe?

A:Advice on Back Up Software

MAcrium reflect free take a full image first then take differential images.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/advice-back-software-4605834/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any advice on which antivirus software I should use for my machine?

Currently use Norton antivirus software and Norton Internet security on my computer running windows XP home sp2. This has worked great and I have never suffered any viruses or trouble using them for over 2 years now BUT is due for renewal soon (37 at least) and I was thinking of finding a cheaper solution!!

I want to be properly protected and am tempted just to renew my Norton licenses... trouble is, I have just got a new laptop (XP pro sp2) which will need a subscription upgrade in the next few months too!

Any suggestions about similar (cheaper) antivirus software I could choose?

Thanks in advance, gemjuggler

Relevancy 44.72%

I'v got a Vista machine here that is hungry. I thought Vista was expensive; but, it pales in comparison to the software and hardware it has trashed.

Nero:
I've been running Nero 7 Ultra and I'm satisfied with it. What is the first edition of Nero Ultra that supports Vista and where is the cheapest place to get it.

Acrobat:
I've run Acrobat 5 Pro and 6 Standard for years and I like them just fine; but, they don't run on Vista. Where's the cheapest place to get Acrobat that will run on Vista. An OEM edition is okay, too.

TypeReader:
Expervision's TypeReader 6 is a great program; but, again won't run on Vista. It's a $400 program. Again, cheapest?

I guess I'll find more as I load my programs.

A:Need advice on where to buy software cheapest

Hi,
There are independent and well written reviews of all types of free (ad free also) progs at Tech Support Alert. Well worth a browse:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-on-where-to-buy-software-cheapest.754664/
Relevancy 44.72%

I recorded some education lectures and want to put them in some softwaqre and then copy on some media like dvds,usb or cds etc.
how can i secure my product and restrict it to be copied.
How can i ensure that every person must buy its own copy.
Any solutions/recomendations ?

A:Need Software Security Advice

***edited by mod***

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-software-security-advice.1119047/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey guys,

I have Home Premium Vista 64 bit on my laptop with only 1 gb of Ram. I will eventually add more ram. In the meantime, what can I do to make my Vista faster with the Ram that I have. I am looking to use the lowest resource of antivirus, anti-malware, etc. to make the system as fast as possible. Do any of you have suggestions on what I can use and what "settings" I can tweak my Vista to perform more efficiently and faster? Thanks in advance.

A:Advice on low resource software

Welcome
When you buy the ram, do not mix and match. Buy all at once.
Speed Up the Performance of Vista
Go to msconfig and untick all items not necessary for startup

To maintain your computer

10 Tips on How to Properly Maintain Your Computer

Steps that I did not notice on the guide include:

Running a scan disc before doing a defrag

Using Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.

Making System Restore points, at least once a week

Makaing a system Image once a month (varies by user)

Not relying on your A/V common sense, should prevail. You know of many sites can cause a problem.

Do not use any reg cleaning or optimizing software.

Download and use Ccleaner about once every two months. Untick any registry entries.
http://www.piriform.com/

If you follow these instructions, you will be trouble free for a long time to come.

Be sure to back up your hard drive about once a month (varies by user) and to keeep system restore points up to date.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/291060-advice-low-resource-software.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I would appreciate some advice I use the same computer on a variety of networks work home school coffee shops etc I would like to find a program that will allow me to surf without being tracked by hackers or network administrators I don t want to do anything software advice privacy evil I m just a conspiracy theory privacy software advice nut who is tired of finding spy-ware There are so many programs that advertise that they can protect you privacy software advice all with different methods and prices I don t mind spending a little to make sure privacy software advice the job gets done I would also like to make sure it works with instant messaging or any other utilities I m not great with computers so ease of use is a must From the products I have seen anonymizer s net shield looks like it is the best but it is a year I just wanted to get the opinions from people who actually know how this stuff works so I can surf with out big brother over my shoulder Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi All,
I have a friend who is a DJ and he just can't find a programme to do what he wants. Now I don't know enough about DJ'ing to help him out but I'm sure there must be a few DJ's on here, so I thought I'd ask what you all use.He would prefer free but is not totally averse to paying.

TIA.
mickzer

A:DJ software advice needed please

Hey.. this may not help to much.. But

www.EuroAdrenaline.com

Register, go to Downloads, go to D'loads, they say they're currently updating it and that it isnt there yet, but i believe in a while it'll be up? so goodluck..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dj-software-advice-needed-please.57559/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello everyone! We will be moving very soon and my husband and I were wondering about our internet service provided software. Currently we work through Verizon. However, we will be using Time Warner at our new place. Here is what we have in our Add/Remove Program list:

Verizon Internet Security Suite
Verizon Online DSL
Verizon Online Help and Support
VerizonService Point 1.3.21

Should we remove those prior to the new internet software being installed or can we wait until after?

Thanks to you all
Golfer Guy's Wife

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi Posters

I use an Iomega external HDD drive to backup my PC. It came bundled with Retrospect which isn't terribly user friendly in that there are very few options and it all feels a bit basic.

I mainly backup my MS Office documents, images and music. I don't bother backing up software, programme files etc.

Should I be backing up everything, how often etc? Also, what is the current thinking on reliable, easy to use backup software?

Thanks

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,
I recently purchased a Logitech webcam, the C910 model. I downloaded the software that comes with the webcam, but it has a glaring flaw; though I can set a countdown/timer to take a photo, it is only three seconds.
I need a program that lets me set a user-defined timer to take photos on my webcam. One with an option of only three seconds is no good to me. I also need my webcam quality to be maintained. I have looked all over the web and can find nothing that's compatible with my OS.
My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit. 
Freeware is much preferred, nothing with spyware included please.
Thank you very much!

A:Webcam software advice

Hi lexmabbott and to Bleeping Computer.
Were you referring to this site? http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/hd-pro-webcam-c910?osid=14&bit=64
The device drivers are specific to models and their software utility functions AFAIK. Did you check the manual if nothing is relevant to that particular webcam model regarding the user-defined timer? Will look into it at a later time if there is such a particular software but as of now, it is up to the manufacturer to determine these improvements on later versions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496873/webcam-software-advice/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi all I am not very bright when it comes to hardware issues I understand enough to build a computer but not enough too know updating chipset drivers. advice I my mobo on need what is happening when it acts up I need advice on updating my mobo chipset drivers. I d like to update my mobo chipset drivers But I am unsure of which file at the website to download I ll I need advice on updating my mobo chipset drivers. post my specs in a moment My main issue is that my Games I need advice on updating my mobo chipset drivers. keep freezing causing my whole system to freeze and it requires me to reboot the whole computer which is not good because its happening so frequently I am thinking it might be somthing to do with my GFX Card getting old or not heated enough but it might be my CPU too I am sure both are getting enough power from my ANTEC watt PSU Its very frustrating as you could well imagine Any help on either issue would be most appreciated Computer Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack Service Pack DirectX DirectX c Motherboard CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon X MHz x Motherboard Name Asus A N-SLI PCI PCI-E x PCI-E x DDR DIMM Audio Gigabit LAN Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce SLI AMD Hammer System Memory MB PC DDR SDRAM BIOS Type Award Display Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT GTO MB Monitor Plug and Play Monitor NoDB Q U Multimedia Audio Adapter Creative SB X-Fi NoDB nbsp

A:I need advice on updating my mobo chipset drivers.

find the exact model board you have on the motherboard maker's site. Download ONLY those drivers. Often, if you do a manual windows update and select hardware updates, it MAY update those drivers. But to be sure, go to the Asus website.

ASUS is known to be very picky about ram. Ensure you are using only recommended brands/types. to test bad ram, run memtest 86+ from a floppy or cd for 7 passes or more.

Your psu should be sufficient for power. To be sure, test it with a multimeter and PSU tester.

Heating can cause all kinds of errors. Ensure your system is adequately cooled.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

CONGRATS. You are Tedster's 6500th post!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-advice-on-updating-my-mobo-chipset-drivers.84753/
Relevancy 44.29%

I am trying to get my Lexmark 1000 printer to work on Windows NT. Someone told me this is possible if I download the drivers from the Lexmark site. The printer was removed from my computer before I found out about the drivers so now I need to add the printer and then the drivers. When I tried to reinstall the printer with the disk I get this message "type the path where file is located" and the A: appears. Any clue what I need to do? I have the drivers ready to download from a separate disk but now I can't even get the printer added. Is there anyway to do this?

A:{Advice Offered} - downloading drivers for printer

Greetings

Well, normally you add the printer by adding the drivers.

So, this is what I suggest you do. The drivers that you downloaded are probably in a Zip file. Unzip this file into a directory called "Printers" in the root of C: (so it would go into C:\Printers).

Then go to the Printers applet in control panel and click on the Add new Printer. When the list comes up for you to choose a printer, click on the "Have Disk..." button. Type in (or browse to) the C:\Printers directory.

Install the printer like that.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-downloading-drivers-for-printer.29877/
Relevancy 44.29%

I've tried installing Windows 7 x64 onto this laptop but whenever I start the boot USB and hit start installation it complains about a missing a driver. It doesn't specifically state which driver but I'm pretty sure it's the M.2 SSD. It won't let me get past the first installation screen.Where can I find the drivers for Windows 7 so I can try and see if those work.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/M-2-Drivers-Windows-7-for-HP-15-ay013nr-or-Install-advice/td-p/5620906
Relevancy 44.29%

I need to know the best site to go to to install all my drivers and if you will, the ones I need to install. (Computer crashed. Started all over with complete wipeout) I'm speaking of sound and video---everything I will need. Thanks

A:Solved: Advice on drivers and sites to download

You'll want to download those from the HP website. Do not trust any "magic bullet" tools that claim to take care of all of your drivers. Download them yourself!

This page has all of the drivers you will need:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=1844701&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093

Do download:
-XP SP2 Audio Update
-RealTek HD audio driver
-ATI Chipset Drivers
-ATI RADEON XPRESS Series Graphics Drivers
-LSI Systems Soft Modem Driver
-Whichever network driver is relevant to your system
-Both items in the "Driver- Storage" category
-Windows XP Fix for Vulnerability in HTML Help
-Besides the above, only items in "Enhancements and QFEs" that you need to fix problems you have. Otherwise don't fix what isn't broken
-Whatever you like from "Software- Multimedia"
-Help and Support Center Update
-HP Backup and Recovery Patch for Windows XP

Don't Download:
-Firmware updates unless the hardware they pertain to is not working correctly. Again, do not fix what isn't broken!
-BIOS updates, unless again you have having BIOS-related issues.
-Any other fixes or patches you don't need
-Network drivers for hardware you don't have

Anything I didn't cover is optional.

Hope this helps! Good luck and of course come back with more questions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-advice-on-drivers-and-sites-to-download.855083/
Relevancy 44.29%

I am going to be re-installing my computer new hd clean install in the next few days I ll be reloading Win XP Pro I downloaded which drivers to need on advice motherboard install Solved: the motherboard drivers and I would appreciate it if one of you would check out the list of drivers and Solved: need advice on which motherboard drivers to install advise me on which I should install which I don t need any advice etc Thank you below is system information OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version Service Pack Build OS Solved: need advice on which motherboard drivers to install Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name AMD System Manufacturer System manufacturer System Model System Product Name System Type X -based PC Processor x Family Model Stepping AuthenticAMD Mhz BIOS Version Date American Megatrends Inc SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C WINDOWS System Directory C WINDOWS system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Solved: need advice on which motherboard drivers to install Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot xpsp - quot User Name AMD USER Time Zone Pacific Standard Time Total Physical Memory MB Available Physical Memory GB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

I recently upgraded to Windows 2000 from Windows 95. My computer now doesn't recognize my modem (a Cirrus Logic CL-MD5650) presumably because I need a new modem driver. Unfortunately, Cirrus Logic no longer makes drivers, and the internet link to Ambient doesn't have any windows 2000 compatible drivers on it. Does anyone know where I might find the driver I need? How about a phone number to reach someone useful at Ambiet? I can't find a number anywhere.

Thanks,

Rob

A:{Advice Offered} - Windows 2000 drivers

Hi Rob

You should be able to use an NT driver if one is available if not use a standard driver from 2000 at least it would get it working

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-windows-2000-drivers.29119/
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently upgraded my laptop from win98 to 2000. I inherited the PC from a colleague. The pcmcia NIC drivers are gone (Doh!). The NIC is from Microcomputer Associates, and the FCC is KA2FEPC65001. I have been to several driver sites, including drivers.com and windrivers, as well as visiting M.R's website, but can't find a 'working' driver.
I,ve also tried searching the win98 CD for the drivers. I don't have a modem, so can't load any software to help search for the drivers or manufacturers ID. What did you do when this happened?

A:{Advice Offered} - pcmcia network drivers?

you can find a new pcmcia card fairly cheap. it might be better to just get a new one.

if the company that makes the card is out of business there might not be a windows 2000 driver available.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-pcmcia-network-drivers.29685/
Relevancy 44.29%

I am starting a repair business and am considering some software to recover deleted/corrupted files. I want something I can boot off a floppy and/or cd. I'm looking at Norton Systemworks and Ontrack's FileRecovery. Further, I'm considering a anti virus program that can be used to make a generic boot disk and used in conjunction with the virus definitions.

Do you use any of these programs? I would appreciate any opinions you have on these or any other programs you consider useful. Also any comments on retrieving files in general.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-software-advice-sought.172449/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a machine running Win2K Server with a Seagate DDS4 tape drive. The drive didn't come with backup software. I'm using MS Backup now but it's not very good. Can anyone recommend something better that doesn't cost too much?

Thank you.

Relevancy 44.29%

Hi,  I am starting a YouTube Channel and am looking for a decent, but free video editing programme any recommendations? I am running windows, so did consider Windows Movie Maker however even though I have the latest Windows Essentials downloaded for some reason there is no movie maker.Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:Video Editing Software Advice

Did you look at the list here? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/366982/freeware-replacements-for-common-commercial-apps/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626998/video-editing-software-advice/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello. I'm interested in designing my own website for my business. I want to learn the process so that I can control the content without seeking the assistance of a programmer. I'm looking for a Window based software which allows me to, sort of, cut & paste as I design the site.

A friend recommended Adobe Golive as an easy to use software.

Are there any other programs that are easier?
Are there limitations to Adobe Golive?
Any other comments on Adobe Golive?

I'm not very technical so I'm looking for an easy to use software.

Thank you.

Sung

Relevancy 44.29%

My burner is working properly now thanks to CCT and it's the first one I've ever owned I tried using Free Easy Cd Dvd burner software but it wouldn't let me which for Advice software mp3's. burner to use,for wma'sand eject when finished I was told Sonic is a good free program by an intermediate computer friend But at first when I couldn't figure out what was wrong I removed the program I am going to try Sonic tonight I may be able to afford a program if it only costed fifteen to twenty dollars My question is did Advice for which burner software to use,for wma'sand mp3's. I have to have software to decrypt the music or shrink it or reformat it because I checked the properties and the smallest size is chosen in that respect Most devices that play music have an option to buy the one that plays the mp 's too Can mp 's and wma's be burnt on the same disk for these devices to read or will any of them read wma's How do I convert a wma format to mp Any advice is appreciated

A:Advice for which burner software to use,for wma'sand mp3's.

Have a look here:
:http://media-convert.com/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/advice-for-which-burner-software-to-use-for-wmasand-mp3s-375322.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi all, can anyone point me in the right direction to begin looking for software to enable me to record onto my pc - effectively turning my pc into a mini studio. I have heared that it is is possible, and as a musician this is a very exciting prospect. ANY help would be fantasic. Thankyou...Jon

Relevancy 44.29%

What are the best programs for creating videos using multiple video clips (excluding windows movie maker) either freeware or paid for software .
Advise much appreciated

A:advice on movie making software

I have Nero, Microsoft Visual Studio, and Adobe Premier Elements, but my favorite editor is DIVX Author. It's the cheapest as well.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/25367-advice-movie-making-software.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello. I need to know is there any software with i could create live web avatars, like in Crazytalk for Skype. An idea is to use them to mistake people on Chatroulette. I would create avatar, use it with fake webcam. I need that avatar would be compatible with Webmax or have integrated virtual camera driver. And i need that i could say something to microphone and avatar would lypsinc my words live on Chatroulette. I tried Crazytalk 6 Pro, but it only export web avatars at swf format which i cant use as fake camera.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-a-software-for-web-avatar-creating.913389/
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently got this camera and it came with HD Writer AE software that seems a throwback to the days of Windows 3.1. It is just too unintuitive and too restrictive.

The camcorder seems to produce files in MTS format.

I don't have any current plans to do high-end or complicated editing. I would just like to do deletions of certain parts of the video and maybe join two or more videos together.

I have Nero 9 full version; but, either I don't know how to use it or Nero 9 doesn't work with MTS files. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Relevancy 44.29%

I need internet security and protection from spyware, malware, ads, trojan horses, etc.

I have a Dell Dimension P4 with Windows XP. It came with McAfee anti virus, which has expired. My main Internet browser is Mozilla Firefox, but I sometimes use IE. I use Outlook Expres for e-mail. I am basically a beginner re: the technical aspects.

I am linked to a laptop in another room of the house by a D-link router.

I have read a number of reviews, but I want to make sure anything I add is compatible with what I have.
I need somethnig easy to install that won't mess anything up and that won't require much computer savvy on my end.

Thanks for your help. I am new to this and don't know if I am supposed to add an icon. I will surely have a smiley face if someone can give me good guidance.

Relevancy 44.29%

I have been using Norton, Malwarebytes and Spybot for the past few years. I have Windows XP. I got chatting to a computer engineer who visited my place of work yesterday. With my Norton subscription up for renewal I asked him what package he would recommend. He told me he wasnt impressed with the above listed brands, and said he has always used 'Microsoft Security Essentials' which is a free download, and nothing else. Can anyone endorse his advice???

Relevancy 44.29%

OK...I was hoping someone here might be able to recommend a product to me.
I NEED a program that I can take photos (support to add small vid clips would be nice) and put them into a slide show type presentation, where i can add transition and text effects. Also the ability to add and lightly edit (fade in and out mostly) multiple audio tracks. Also the ability to create attractive (professional looking) DVD menus and burn to DVD ability.

I am currently using Videowave 7 from Roxio for this, but there are some glitches witht he software and limitations....I have tried Magix Photostory and was NOT impressed (if loading more than 100 photos into a single project, program crashes...)

Is there anything better than Videowave that can do all this???
Thankyou for ANY and all suggestions!

K

A:Photo show DVD software advice

I've done it with Nero. Don't know if you can do dvd menus with it though. It did a very good job with the slideshow. As you add a picture to the slideshow, it tells you how long the slideshow will run, so you can add music to stop at same time as the slideshow. It takes into account the amount of time you set it to, between pictures. If you don't have Nero already, you can download a trial version, and try it.

One note though. Nero and Roxio's Easy CD Creator, don't play well together. Usually creates problems, to have both on the same machine. I, personally, prefer Nero, way more than Roxio..............
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/photo-show-dvd-software-advice.445868/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi,
The windows 2000 backup has me completely baffled. I can't even figure out how to format a tape!
Believe it or not, I'm the backup guy at work. We use Tivoli on a treefrog library. Overkill for the home.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a backup for win2k for the home user. I just need it to work with a DLT drive.

Many thanks,
[email protected]

A:{Advice Offered} - Backup software ?

Greetings

Well... Win2K comes with Backup Exec Lite from Veritas Software. You will find it by clicking on the start button / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Backup.

To format a tape:<ol>
[*] Open Backup.
[*] On the Restore tab, right-click the tape you want to format.
[*] Click Format.
[/list=a]

Simple, no?

Hope this helps

------------------
Reuel Miller

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-backup-software.29698/
Relevancy 44.29%

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C need a lil unwanted some my advice. software and help pc some cleaning on WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati need a lil help cleaning some unwanted software on my pc and some advice. evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X EKIJ MUI exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC PROGRA MYWEBS bar bin m SrchMn exeC PROGRA MYWEBS bar bin mwsoemon exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC WINDOWS system wscntfy exeC WINDOWS ALCXMNTR EXEC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exec windows system hpsysdrv exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC WINDOWS system msiexec exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HiJackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE a arm seconduserR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE a arm seconduserR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http home mywebsearch com index jhtml n AKFQuzcmgglFFwQR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE a arm seconduserR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - URLSearchHook eMusic Toolbar - ee e -c - ab-b -aa f ca - C Program Files eMusic tbeMus dll file missing O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dllO - BHO eMusic Toolbar - ee e -c - ab-b -aa f ca - C Program Files eMusic tbeMus dll file missing O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - Toolbar eMusic Toolbar - ee e -c - ab-b -aa f ca - C Program Files eMusic tbeMus dll file missing O - HKLM Run HPBootOp quot C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Boot Optimizer HPBootOp exe quot runO - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osbootO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe quot -atboottimeO - HKLM Run EKIJ StatusMonitor C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X EKIJ MUI exeO - HKLM Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware reboot quot C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe quot runcl... Read more

A:need a lil help cleaning some unwanted software on my pc and some advice.

hi theirishguy,Sorry for the delay, no shortage of posters. If you still need help post back.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/344755/need-a-lil-help-cleaning-some-unwanted-software-on-my-pc-and-some-advice/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi
I have quite a lot of Dvds recorded using .VOB files.
I would like to edit these.
What I am looking for is software that will allow me to chop bits off, merge the result and create a new, edited, Dvd.
Can anyone suggest economically priced software that will achieve this or even better free software similar to Sothink movie maker but without plastering the company logo over the finished Dvd.
regards
phil

A:Solved: Advice needed re DVD software

Hi
I have solved the problem by buying a second hand copy of Nero 8 which I am assured will do exactly what I want.
Regards
phil

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-advice-needed-re-dvd-software.968011/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have the opportunity to purchase a used HP 450 mobile printer without the CD and wish to use it with my new vista laptop. I went to the HP site and found the info for the driver.

(http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...iesId=81913&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2093)

Being inexperienced with driver issues, is this all I need to do.....just download the driver, follow the directions from the site and I'd be up and running with the printer? I know there's no way of knowing what problems I may encounter beforehand, but is this a simple matter that usually works?

I'd appreciate a little advice in helping me decide if I want this printer or not. Thank you.

Relevancy 44.29%

Hey guys,

I had an issue where Windows 7 would not boot anymore, getting error, BOOTMGR missing, Press Alt-Ctrl-Del to restart. I have tried to repair with windows disk but still getting error. I have decided that I want to just do a reinstall but I want to get on and export my favorites and grab a couple other things. I used to have a CD that I could use to boot up with (Think it was called Barts Boot Disk, Been too long) to get into Windows XP and do a couple things. My question is, is what is the best boot disk that will allow me to copy files from the HD to my external drive before I refresh? Thanks for the help.

A:Windows Boot Software Advice

Hello

u can try to fix the missing bootmgr with these steps:

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when you are prompted. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

3. Click Repair your computer.

4. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

6. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/206321-windows-boot-software-advice.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Not sure if this belongs here in the Software forum or the Video forum. I did a few searches and haven't found anything recent on this topic.

I have read product reviews all over the web, but I was wondering if anyone here has had any specific luck or preference to an affordable video editing and authoring software. I see most newer releases support 3D, but for now 3D is not a priority and I have no way of viewing it currently anyways.

My goal is to take home 1080p video and fiddle with some cool effects and add music, etc.

1) Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite ($60)
2) CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Ultra ($72)
3) Adobe Premiere Elements 10 ($75)
4) Corel Video Studio X4 ($30)
5) Any compairable free software from a reputible source

I've heard the best things about Sony's Vegas software and was leaning that direction. Your thoughts are appreciated.

A:Advice on HD Blu Ray Editing / Authoring Software

My wife does this with DVD quality digital video and has been using PowerDirector...but an older version. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer version so she can handle Blu-Ray. She seems to like the software a lot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/229091-advice-hd-blu-ray-editing-authoring-software.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hey guys,
First of all, I'd like to say thanks for your intelligence & for giving your time to this website (& doing it in laymen's terms, lol); I've learned so much from all of you over the last year and have learned to only trust Tech Guy.
Ok, my question is a simple one: what is the best antitheft software for a windows-based laptop, in your opinion? I found an excellent product called Undercover made by Orbicule, but it's only for Macs. I would think there would be something similar made for windows laptops? Thanks for any help on this!

A:laptop antitheft software advice, pls?

Something like this?
http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/solutions/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-antitheft-software-advice-pls.777870/