Windows Support Forum

Laptop doesn't boot up even with hard reset

Q: Laptop doesn't boot up even with hard reset

Yesterday my laptop suddenly stopped responding. I followed the tutorial and removed the battery and tried booting up the laptop using the charger. It doesn't work. I can see the charger port going from white to orange and then blank in quick succession. Then I tried keeping the battery and the charger plugged in for a long time without turning on the laptop. The charger remains orange for more than an hour before turning white. I tried running the laptop after couple of hours and it boots up fine. But on the other hand, charger starts to act up again cycling through nothing, orange and white. So when the battery charge falls below 15%, it goes through low battery and then showing a bit of charge then again warning.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-doesn-t-boot-up-even-with-hard-reset/td-p/5701676
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop doesn't boot up even with hard reset

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 70.52%

Hello everyone I'm having a strange randomly occuring issue with my laptop doesn't network to want the Laptop but drive hard instead from boot Firstly let me describe the boot order set in the BIOS Quote HDD HDD FDD USB LAN Now it was recently disassembled to bits to give Laptop doesn't want to boot from the hard drive but network instead it a thorough cleaning and address minor issues like loose hinge and broken battery latch After that when I booted it up for the first few times - it worked just fine The problem appeared after I hibernated it for a few nights each time I powered it back up it wanted to resume windows didn't show the usual text quot press F to go into bios quot etc but instead it entered Intel UNDI PXE- build and attempted to boot from the network but failed that's okay with an error message quot Check cable connection quot followed by quot Exiting Intel PXE ROM quot and it repeated the process again - stuck in a loop spamming the screen with text I can press the power button del F F and nothing happens or it'll restart same with CTRL ALT DEL now why does it do this I have no idea It does do the same thing on fresh boot The CMOS battery is fine it keeps time and settings After restarting a few times in various ways usually it will boot properly I don't have any external devices plugged in except wireless mouse I would really love some help with this it's very annoying and I simply don't know what to do

A:Laptop doesn't want to boot from the hard drive but network instead

If the hard drive is not detected the BIOS will just move on to the next item in the list. Your seeing the boot from lan on screen because its the last option and that's where it stops. Double check that your hard drive is securely mounted and any cables are firmly attached. It could also indicate that the drive may be failing. I'd double check all your internal connections first, as you've had it opened up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/369944-laptop-doesnt-want-boot-hard-drive-but-network-instead.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Last year my friend was given an old laptop by our local school who from hard drive boot 7 properly. old laptop transplanted doesn't on Windows was replacing it We opened it up to salvage for parts there wasn t much useful in it and he allowed me to keep the hard-drive to add some storage to the Linux machine I recently built specs below Before I wiped it I wanted to see if Windows 7 on transplanted hard drive from old laptop doesn't boot properly. there was actually anything on it and I was pleasantly suppressed the hard drive contained a copy of windows There are some softwares that I could use that can only run on windows so I decided not to wipe the hard drive When I boot it up though it asks me to boot in recovery mode runs through several dialogues and invariably ends up at a quot Windows cannot repair the computer automatically quot Running windows normally simply reboots the computer and again asks me if I want to run windows in recovery mode spoiler alert again choosing to run windows normally again reboots the machine and so fourth The error message and my computer specs below Specs AMD Athlon X K GHz Quad-Core ProcessorGigabyte GA-F A M-D H Micro ATX FM MotherboardAsus GeForce GTX GB Video Card EVGA W Certified ATX Power Supply Corsair Vengeance GB x GB DDR MHz PC Desktop Memory x Seagate Barracuda GB Hard Drives both removed temporarily Error Message Code Select Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log br -------------------------- br Last successful boot time PM GMT br Number of repair attempts br br Session details br -------------------------- br System Disk Device Harddisk br Windows directory D windows br AutoChk Run br Number of root causes br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Check for updates br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name System disk test br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Disk failure diagnosis br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Disk metadata test br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Target OS test br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Volume content check br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Boot manager diagnosis br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name System boot log diagnosis br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Event log diagnosis br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Internal state check br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time taken ms br br Root cause found br -------------------------- br Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem br br -------------------------- br -------------------------- br Session Details br -------------------------- br System Disk Device Harddisk br Windows directory D windows br AutoChk Run br Number of root causes br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Check for updates br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time Taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name System disk test br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time Taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Disk failure diagnosis br Result Completed successfully Error code x br Time Taken ms br br Test Performed br -------------------------- br Name Disk metadata test br Result Completed successf... Read more

A:Windows 7 on transplanted hard drive from old laptop doesn't boot properly.

Windows does not like being moved to a different machine without reinstalling.  At any rate Windows licence is almost certainly tied to the original laptop and therefore can't legally be transferred to a new machine.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,157945.0.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I know I f* up, I've done torrents and nothing has ever gone wrong but now this time something went wrong. I try to download a series and it opens up an external link. I thought I downloaded it but it downloading another program from that it downloaded multiple other programs. I've tried to uninstall all the programs that it installed but some of them don't want to uninstall and now my web browser on my PC is having DNS problems and can't connect to a server. I've tried to reset my PC but every time the PC exit out the reset and when I try to boot up from safe mode I can't use my keyboard. What should I do,I'm so lost and I've regretted ever doing something that stupid.

A:Pc doesn't want to reset and boot up to safe mode.

Make and model?
What operating system? I assume win 10?
you are probably going to have to boot from a windows disk or a rescue disk to be able to run antivirus and malware removal tools
click here

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/pc-doesnt-want-reset-boot-safe-mode-4596112/
Relevancy 62.78%

I ve been passed a laptop to sort out which was full of malware Windows running slowly and occasionally crashing the usual state of a machine used by someone clueless and apathetic about computer security I was told I could just reformat it as he doesn t on this 7 doesn't help) Windows Please (factory laptop reset load help! won't want anything off it saving so I tried resetting it to the factory default which seemed to work but when Windows booted up it just stuck in the Windows loading screen black screen with the four colour flag thing I tried safe mode but it also crashes gets stuck whilst loading - the last file it lists in the loading screen is WINDOWS SYSTEM DRIVERS CLASSPNP SYS I retried factory reset with the same results so I tried to install Windows on to the laptop from my Windows DVD in case the factory reset image on the laptop had somehow gotten corrupt but again Windows locks up or goes into an infinite wait state whatever it is and now I can t even access factory reset as the non-working install on the laptop didn t add the option of course I ve tested the physical memory MEMTEST and the hard drive and they both give no errors and I ve reset the BIOS to it s original settings a million to one chance that that Please help! Windows 7 won't load on this laptop (factory reset doesn't help) was the fault but I tried anyway so can anyone suggest anything please The laptop is a Samsung np e a-a uk Windows -bit AMD A M CPU GB RAM nbsp

A:Please help! Windows 7 won't load on this laptop (factory reset doesn't help)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-windows-7-wont-load-on-this-laptop-factory-reset-doesnt-help.1148817/
Relevancy 62.35%

Unit has been working fine.  Went to put into hibernate mode as usually do, but did not have that option.  Put it to sleep.  Now won't wake up.  30 second push of power button with battery removed didn't help.  Any ideas?

A:Aspire 5560-sb256 won't boot. Battery reset doesn...

start pc logo comes on then windows and says loading files..then screen goes blank..tried alt f1o ..finally said restore to factory settings...then back to acer startup and same thing all over again

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Aspire-5560-sb256-won-t-boot-Battery-reset-doesn-t-help-New/td-p/422523/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a dell inspiron n it has the following specs years since purchse core i GB b of RAM nvidia gt graphics card gb dedicated Windows bit GB HDD The laptop was or screen booting turn beeps no doesn't on, Laptop boot, sounds doesn't are heard error working fine yesterday and when i went to sleep i properly turned it off without any errors occurring Today when i turned it on - -the power button turns on -the three support buttons on the top Laptop doesn't boot, screen doesn't turn on, no error beeps or booting sounds are heard right corner of the laptop flash -i can see battery and power notification lights but the hard drive light doesn t blink or turn on -i can hear and in fact glimpse the fan working -the screen shows nothing it isn t a black screen because that would imply that the screen still turns on but the screen remains off nbsp -I hear no error beeps or any kind of booting sounds -I should also probably mention that recently the AC adapter of the laptop wasn t working properly and i had part of its main connecting wires replaced while keeping the circuit board or main work board intact and it worked fine after that but i am guessing the repair may have something to do with this new issue I have tried the hard reset or flea power method hoping it would solve the problem but it hasn t work even after multiple attempts The laptop is no longer under warranty and if the issue is dire and i suspect it is i would have to send the computer to a dell support nbsp and repair center and i have nbsp heard maintenance and repair costs may be as much as the laptop s price depending on the nature of the fault nbsp But at this moment i have no idea what the fault is nbsp Please suggest any faults that may cause such a situation and a suitable course of action for a solution

A:Laptop doesn't boot, screen doesn't turn on, no error beeps or booting sounds are heard

This fixed my problem with my Lenovo. Thanks so much!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19516269
Relevancy 61.06%

I used the media profile to download Windows 10 to a USB and everything worked fine but now there's another problem. My laptop was working after reinstalling Windows, but then I shut my laptop over and went away for ten minutes or so and I've came back to a black screen with no display at all. The white LED is on so my laptop is on. It has around 40% charge in it as of typing this. The screen is unresponsive. Please help again but thank you for helping me fix the first issue.

A:Re: I hard reset my laptop, error occurred and now my laptop...

Hi @kirsty_mcq17, Thanks for the update on your situation. I understand that you are now having issues with the display being blank and the system unresponsive. Have you tried doing a hard reset since the system stopped responding? If the system will not boot into Windows normally, let me know if you get any errors. You can also try using Safe mode. Once you are able to log back in, please make sure you download the latest HP drivers and Windows Updates. From what you described, it sounds like the system may have gone into sleep or hibernate mode. This document will take you through troubleshooting possible issues with those features. If you feel this post has answered your question, take a moment to click Accept as Solution. Thanks!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Re-I-hard-reset-my-laptop-error-occurred-and-now-my-laptop/td-p/5672477
Relevancy 61.06%

My laptop was running slow so I thought I would do a hard reset since I didn't have any important files on it. So I reset it and I got a blue screen error, then a listing screen with a popup box saying there was an error or my computer restarted and I should press OK to install. I found a solution online to get past the popup box, I don't remember what it was though, but now my laptop is stuck in a state of constant reboot. It goes like this:Blue HP Logo with loading circle,Black screen,Blue HP Logo,Installing and configuring Windows install screen that doesn't move past 64%,And then black screen. This process constantly repeats.Please help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/I-hard-reset-my-laptop-error-occurred-and-now-my-laptop-is/td-p/5671630
Relevancy 60.2%

After spending after boot reset. only hard will PC many hours perusing various threads on numerous sites I find myself no PC will only boot after hard reset. further on troubleshooting the following boot problem The PC will not boot from cold but will work perfectly after a hard reset Apologies in advance for this massive post but it will prevent exploring places I have explored already I built the following system for my son for Christmas ABIT NF V mb AMD PC will only boot after hard reset. Sempron Boxed with fan single stick mb Kingston DDR Memory ATI Radeon mb video card Sony DVD drive Single Western Digital WD JD rpm SATA gb HDD Zoom G-Wireless USB mbs card TV XP global TV tuner card PCI LG S TFT monitor W PSU with V on the V rail Windows XP home On first assembly everything booted up and worked fine The following day on a cold boot the system hung before during POST No single normal beep and fans were turning and both HDD and DVD drive lights came on The reset button did not have any effect A couple of hard power-offs did the trick - system booted into windows fine Again the following day on a cold start the system hung but I had a couple of different POST codes at different times Two tone siren short beeps repeating longer beep about sec long but did not self shut down just continued with the beeping until I switched the power off reset had no effect On investigating various web sites threads I decided on replacing the PSU two tone beeps out of limit voltage detection and on looking on ABIT TEQ the V rail was a bit unstable about - I also increased AGP and Vcore voltages by small amounts as recommended on the Abit Forum threads but no improvement I replaced the PSU with a Jeantech W unit Bet you can guess though New PSU did not help I have since done three clean installs of windows and formatted the HDD to try to eliminate virus driver snags Incidentally on the windows install the soft reboots initiated by windows setup resulted in single repeated beeps and system hangs Hard power off and reboot again enabled a normal boot back into windows Other threads suggest that the single repeating beep is not a terminal main board problem and I suspected the CMOS battery not enough juice to store the configuration hence the hanging on cold boot but changing it has not helped either I have also swapped RAM and graphics card ATI radeon XT from my other PC to eliminate those components as suspect Also tried running the RAM as rather than - Symptoms remained each time I then noticed that the DVD rom was not always recognised in the BIOS and so suspected an IDE channel failure After discussion with tech support people at ABIT I then RMAed the motherboard and replaced it for an ASUS K V X SE Since fitting the ASUS board the only remaining problem is that the PC will still not boot first time from cold You have to do a hard reset and then it boots fine and runs very well into windows I have now been investigating threads about the WD JD hard drive and its compatibility with the VT R chipset I have jumpered the HDD to lock at mb s Have also swapped in a different DVD drive but no change I am left with thinking that this is a BIOS setting issue or a SATA IDE conflict or BOOT issue I have tried play with boot order and the RAID screen but there appears to be nothing to change there I have also flashed the BIOS to from the ASUS web site I have checked for motherboard shorts seems clear I am also thinking of getting an EIDE HDD just to see if this is the problem but can t see why SATA shouldn t run with IDE on the same board So far I have Changed PSU twice Changed the mainboard Swapped in RAM Swapped in Graphics Card Changed GPU fan supply source Changed CMOS battery Changed voltages in the bios at the advice of the tech support man in UK Run various software based hardware checks eg PC Check and memtest which have all passed Sorry bout the war and peace but having read many threads it seems to pay to be thorough I really am starting struggle... Read more

A:PC will only boot after hard reset.

Wow, sounds like you've essentially swapped in a brand new computer.

You didn't put jumpers on the hard drive, did you? I've heard of that messing up SATA drives. Poke around the BIOS and mess with the drive settings, including raid configs that might not exist. it definately sounds like a BIOS problem related to your hard drive.

That does seem like a royal pain though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-will-only-boot-after-hard-reset.68670/
Relevancy 59.77%

i want to hard reset my laptop bac to out of the box factory settings but everytime i try it with the f11 option it keeps asking for a disc to continue. laptop didnt come with a operating system disc. and if i try to fully reset it throught the options menu it doesnt do anything, all it does is say this will take a moment then that screen closes and nothing ever happens it takes me back to my desktop but never resets my computer.

A:i can not hard reset my laptop

Hello, Your PC came with Windows 8.1. The Win 10 upgrade killed the recovery partition. You need an HP Recovery disc set . The Grzy

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/i-can-not-hard-reset-my-laptop/td-p/5825375
Relevancy 59.34%

My mother has Computer sometimes hard boot reset without won't an HP that runs Windows Vista Premium Home Its about - yrs old Two weeks ago the power went off for a few minutes when it was on Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset or in sleep mode When she tried to turn it back on she could see the quot cd light quot blink once or twice the fans came on but no power I found the directions to unplug all the cords and hold the power button down to reset it Well it worked I then ran Malwarebytes and it did find one or two things but they were removed Today she called me to tell me the same thing happened But the power never went out She had it on and it must have gone into a sleep mode and Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset nothing worked to bring it out She had to reset it again Does anyone know what would be causing this to happen I m wondering if its something I could easily fix myself or if we need to bring it to someone to be repaired

A:Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset

Hello kat91119,Some people have been able to awaken the monitor when the computer is in "sleep" mode by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL (not holding them) and then clicking cancel. You could try going through this troubleshooting guide: How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows 7 Sleep Mode Problem.You will note that they recommend updating the display drivers and the system bios, first. I wouldn't worry about the bios at this point but would check the computer manufacturer's web site to see if they have an "updated" display driver. How to determine the dispaly adapter name and version then go to manufacturer's website:First, click "Start" (the globe) and right mouse click on "Computer" and click "Properties."Select "Device Manager" then click on the (+) next to "Display Adapters." Write down the make and model number.Next, right mouse click on the Display Adapter and click "Properties," "Driver" tab, and write down driver date and driver version.Now you can go the computer manufacturer's web site (i.e. Dell, HP, Acer, etc.), look for "Download Drivers and Software" (may have to click on Support, first). Enter either "Tag number" or exact "make and model number." Select the computer operating system (Vista 32 or Vista 64).Look for your exact display adapter, note date and driver version. If newer, download and install.Finally, proceed with the troubleshooting guide.I hope it helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/433786/computer-wont-boot-sometimes-without-hard-reset/
Relevancy 59.34%

Sometimes after a power failure, the computer wont reboot from the hard disk. Instead we get a statement which says, and I loosely quote: Boot hardware not found. Insert disc and press F1 or press F2 for setup.

Last night the disc wouldnt let it boot up either. I went to F2 and tried to change the boot from the CDROM to the hard disk, the problem was HARD DISK was not in the window as a selection. Finally after doing some things that now I cant remember, I went back to the same window and low and behold Hard disk is now a part of the selection. The computer then booted from the hard disk, and is now operating fine.

Can someone explain to me what I did to get it working so that when this happens again I have the method of repair at hand. Thanks so much.

Mike

A:How To Reset Boot From Hard Disk

You probably clicked on Automatically detect hard drive in the Bios. You should purchase a UPS device to stop your computer corruption from power failures. In time your hardware will be damaged.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81082/how-to-reset-boot-from-hard-disk/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi all nbsp Just reset laptop, deleted OS Hard yesterday I tried using my laptop at which point it froze and I had to force it to shut down After several failed attempts at switching it on again it gave me the error message that it found no bootable device nbsp Looking on the HP website I saw that Hard reset laptop, OS deleted they recommended a hard reset which I performed However now when I switch the laptop on it asks me to install an OS nbsp I do have a repair disc however I have no system image for my own laptop which I can use to resotre it I do have my files backed up I've tried using my brother's laptop's system image we have the same model but my laptop would not recognise it on the external hard drive on which it is saved nbsp Does anyone know how I could get my OS back without purchasing a new install disc nbsp Thank you nbsp in advance for the help nbsp Extra info in case it is relevant nbsp Laptop was purchased in Summer Upgraded to Windows from in Summer Have had no problem with Windows until now nbsp

A:Hard reset laptop, OS deleted

Hi, As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 7, you can just create your own Windows 10 installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed. http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/ Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-reset-laptop-OS-deleted/td-p/5679362
Relevancy 59.34%

My laptop won't start.  I have read through this blog, and did a hard reset (twice) and it still won't start.  I've had this issue in the past and have been able to solve it with a hard reset, but not this time.   What else can I do? The battery still had some "juice" in it as recently as last week, as I was able to use it without power for a few hours with no problems.   Thanks.  

A:Laptop still won't turn on after hard reset

Hi there @PaulaEmde,Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that your notebook is not powering up. I am happy to help with this. When it is plugged in do you see a charging LED lit?When you try to power it on, is there any sound of the unit starting, like the fans spinning or the sound of the hard drive spinning up?Do you have another power adapter available that you can try?Have you tried a different electrical outlet?Do you have a direct power connection, or are you using a power bar, or UPS? For now give these a try, and let me know the results and the answers to my questions. Hopefully one of these will resolve the issue, but if not, the answers may help to localize the cause.Using and Testing the AC Power AdapterHP Notebook PCs - Computer does not start (Windows 8)Improving Battery Performance (Windows 8, 7, Vista)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-still-won-t-turn-on-after-hard-reset/td-p/4982739
Relevancy 59.34%

Initially I was facing a problem wherein the keys A,S,D,F and some other keys were not working. The mousepad was also not working fine. I searched the net and got a page that suggested hard reset. Hence, I did the followingStep 01. Turned OFF the NotebookStep 02. Un-plugged the Power/AC Adapter and also removed the BatteryStep 03. Pressed and Held the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minuteStep 04. Re-inserted the battery back in  As soon as I re-inserted the battery, the following happenedPower button with LED indicator - is continuously onBattery charging LED indicator - is continuously onPower/standby LED indicator - is continuously onScreen is blank. Nothing is displayed on screen If I remove the battery the lights shut down. As soon as I put the battery the lights are on. Pressing the power button continuouslt doesn't help. Can someone please help in resolving the issue and starting my laptop.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Laptop-does-not-start-after-hard-reset/td-p/5679394
Relevancy 59.34%

I've tried the hard reset 3 tines, I've replaced the battery with a new one, and still my laptop will not turn on. The white led light starts out white while plugged in, then turns amber, then turns white after a few minutes and starts blinking. If I attempt to power on the laptop while it's plugged in, the led light turns off and does not turn back on until I take the battery out, put it back in and plug the ac adapter in again. Nothing turns on, no fans and no keyboard lights. The only sign of power is the led light. Help please!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Even-after-a-hard-reset-my-hp-laptop-won-t-turn-on/td-p/5655805
Relevancy 58.48%

my speakers and microphone had stopped working...everything else was fine so i followed the steps to resolve issue on hp support.when it asked to do a hard reset i followed the instructions but my laptop will not now restart...am just getting a very quick flash fron on button then nothing...need help to resolve this

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/laptop-wont-restart-after-hard-reset/td-p/5611725
Relevancy 58.48%

The thing is that a guy came to me forgotting his BIOS Password and Hard disk Password on his Toshiba!! I managed to remove the hard disk and installing it on my computer unfortunately it didn't read it since a password is locking the hard disk any ideas?? Thank you!

A:How to reset a Laptop Hard disk password

SORRY, you'll have to read the tech guy forum rules on this one. No one here can supply Information on unlocking passwords etc. We cannot verify your reasons for doing so!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-reset-a-laptop-hard-disk-password.773789/
Relevancy 58.48%

Can't start windows after hard resert. Had successfully upgraded to windows 10 and was working properly. Did not completely get iso image for windows 10. Tried starting with hp recovery got fail error 570

A:hp windows 7 laptop not starting with hard reset

Hi @deenot,Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with recovery error 570. I will be glad to help you. Please look at the following links.HP Notebook PCs - System Recovery May Fail or Display Error Message (Windows 7, or Vista)Microsoft Error code: "570 User ID Failed" Please keep me informed of how things went. If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below!  Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/hp-windows-7-laptop-not-starting-with-hard-reset/td-p/5695898
Relevancy 58.05%

Gud day, asking for support how to hard reset HP Stream x360 Convertible LaptopCo'z when i turn on the unit the light was blingking the same when sleep mode???

A:Hard Reset HP Stream x360 Convertible Laptop

Hi @Yes69? ,Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Notebook and Notebook does not turn on. Try performing a hard reset. When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices.Here is a link to computer won't start for Windows 8.Please let me know how this goes.Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Reset-HP-Stream-x360-Convertible-Laptop/td-p/5176130
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello, I was hoping maybe somebody could help me with this laptop. The issue I'm having is most of the time when I walk away from it and leave it on, upon returning the screen is just black, the computer is running but there is no response on the keyboard or mouse, which requires a hard shutdown and a restart. It then says it was not shut down properly, I start it up, and it runs fine until the next time I walk away and it does this freeze thing. I also want to note that it does not always do this, sometimes it sleeps like it should, but the problem is increasing in frequency.

A:Laptop screen goes black, requiring hard reset

No I have had this before its the drivers, the video card is going out, anything? Nobody on this forum has seen a laptop that would keep running but freeze on a black screen after going idle?

Take a guess!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262272-laptop-screen-goes-black-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Dear HP, My laptop will not turn on anymore. Nothing happens. I tried the hard reset, by unplugging everything. Also battery and power cord. pressed on/off button for 30 seconds. When I put in the power cord. The led next to it, is not burning. Dear HP, do you have a suggestion what I can do to fix this problem? With kind regards,Richard

A:Laptop wil not turn on anymore. Hard reset is not working

If the power jack LED is not on we can figure it may be the power supply. It might not be putting out power. Just about any electronics shop can test its power output. How old is the unit? Still under warranty?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-wil-not-turn-on-anymore-Hard-reset-is-not-working/td-p/5629650
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello I'm trying to help a friend fix his laptop for some reason when booting normally it'll start with a black screen for a good few minutes or so then the HP won't Bluescreen reset Laptop then boot. logo will appear with the spinning circles or waiting after what seems like a good minutes or so it'll blue-screen the Laptop won't boot. Bluescreen then reset error reads something like error loading the OS or something but I can't read it because it only shows up for a second before reseting and starting the Laptop won't boot. Bluescreen then reset process all over again nbsp I found out that by hitting escape over and over at right as I turn it on it'll give me options for system restore and boot devices but this doesn't help Laptop won't boot. Bluescreen then reset much at all I try using the windows CD on it and it does nothing I even tried to use the CD via a bootable flash drive and nothing sure it'll say the usb IS bootable but when I select it it gives me the HP loading screen and then a black screen I even tried waiting for an hour to see if it's just loading but nothing has anyone else had this problem with this laptop and if so do you know if there's a way to fix it thanks in advance

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-won-t-boot-Bluescreen-then-reset/td-p/5643267
Relevancy 57.19%

System locks up needs time before it can be restarted I have a newly built computer that locks up usually to min after booting usually I am browsing the internet then pages to Freezes, reset, until hard can have Windows 10 I 7 back then wait min Solved: boot won t load then my browser freezes and I can t Ctrl apt Del Then everything freezes and I have to hard reset but the computer won t boot up unless I Solved: Windows 7 Freezes, have to hard reset, then wait 10 min until I can boot back let it rest for min Everything in the computer is brand new I have it running the bare minimum stick of memory The hard drive I noticed in the bios that the v and v are low The v is running around The v is around I ve spent days trying different things any help would be greatly appreciated I have tested the CPU and even re installed it I have tested the memory it seems fine I have checked the wires I have reset the bios Its a new ultra watt PSU a new asus m a l-m lx plus mb An amd HD phenom ll x processor a wd blue gb hard drive hyperx red gb ddr memory modules a radeon hd GPU Running win nbsp

A:Solved: Windows 7 Freezes, have to hard reset, then wait 10 min until I can boot back

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-freezes-have-to-hard-reset-then-wait-10-min-until-i-can-boot-back.1122176/
Relevancy 56.33%

As the result of low blood sugar lack of sleep and any other excuse that I can find I wiped out the windows partition on my laptop while trying to install Linux Mint as a dual boot The end result was that Linux used the entire drive for it s install I blame it on the selfish Linux install not wanting to share I was unhappy with the results of being just smart enough to screw up my system so I dug out the system restore USB stick that after boot ASUS Laptop fail to reset. system K55 I created when I first got the machine I booted from it and selected the Reset your system option It took about hours to do something After it was done I removed the flash drive and rebooted or not I got a black screen with the message to insert boot-able media and press any key I popped the Linux DVD into the drive and booted to Linux Mint Live I then took a look at the hard drive and saw that it appeared that all the windows files and folders had been restored however booting into windows is not happening Help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/asus-k55-laptop-fail-to-boot-after-system-reset.1166920/
Relevancy 55.9%

Right IDE configuration of hard drives and one new DVDrw IDE Channel Master Gb HDD WinXP - the one I want to boot from IDE Channel Slave Gb HDD IDE Channel Master DVD-RW IDE Channel Slave Gb HDD The only one with more than partition doesn't boot rw, hard 3 dvd one drives, Firstly the DVD drive manual says to only use it as master on any IDE channel fair enough I wasn t convinced so I tried it as slave first but it didn 3 hard drives, one dvd rw, doesn't boot t work properly So then I connected up as above The trouble is everytime it tries to boot it acts as though it can t boot and reverts to trying to boot from CD at which point it says there s no CD in the drive to boot from and halts However I have managed to get it to boot somehow occassionally by having the CD DVD drawer ejected and when I did I could see all drives and all were working correctly I have tried many different drive configurations but none seemed to stop it from reverting to boot from CD and halting Checked jumpers and tried many different jumper settings Also flashed BIOS with latest update and reset its settings Tried having only hard drives in boot priority and still it tries to boot from CD I m guessing because with this drive configuration it cannot see the drive I want to boot from on the initial check it does Oh and I ve flashed the latest driver on the DVD drive as well to see if it was that but it didn t make a difference For now I got fed up and disconnected the Slave HDD and it works fine without a slave there Maybe I just can t have such a drive configuration but what bugs me is I got it to work just by ejected the CD drive whilst it was booting Any ideas Obviously any more info needed I can provide Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello I currently have two hard drives and run a dual boot into Computer hard boot doesn't drive(s) setup On my main hard drive I have a partition for Windows XP and a partition for the rest of my crap On my other hard drive I run Ubuntu Normally I have been using Ubuntu and have had no virus issues whatsoever Today Computer doesn't boot into hard drive(s) I seemed to have gotten an quot antivirus scanner virus quot I have had great Computer doesn't boot into hard drive(s) success using Malwarebytes in the past so I kicked Computer doesn't boot into hard drive(s) off a scan of that and left my computer alone Turns out this virus shut down Explorer and eventually gave me hard drive error messages I don't remember exactly what it said but they were along the lines of this Cannot write to disk Hard drive clusters failed Hard drive is running out of space not true I decided to let my Malwarebytes scan continue figuring these might be bogus messages trying to scare me Anyway Malwarebytes finished scanning found some infections and needed to restart to complete the removal process I reboot and find out that it goes through trying to boot from my CD drives and then just hangs when trying to boot from my hard drives Neither hard drive appears to boot up Both are visible in BIOS I can boot from a Live Ubuntu CD and access data on both hard drives as well Is there anything I can do Or should I just try and use the Live CD and reinstall everything I'd prefer not to do something that extreme If you need any additional information let me know Thanks for any and all assistance

A:Computer doesn't boot into hard drive(s)

When you say it hangs when trying to boot from your hard drives, do you get any kind of message? Or just a blinking cursor in the top left of your screen?

Also, I'm assuming you are using the default boot manager to choose which OS to boot?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-doesnt-boot-into-hard-drive-s-545858.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all,
Suddenly got a strange problem with my Hard drive, it's a seagate 500gb, suddenly whenever i boot to my OS, my second hard drive isn't mounting its self a drive letter, so therefore i can't see it in 'my computer',
but then if i go to disk management, assign it a letter like Local Disk (D), i can see it again and all my files are fine,

Not sure why this is happening, happened on windows 8, then upgraded to 8.1, still didn't fix it, and now it's happening on my windows 7, fresh install

Could be my hard drive giving up?

Thanks

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello I have a Western Digital Elements Gb external Hard Drive It has been giving me a hard time today First it wasn't recognized as a working HD just as a broken one which had to be is Ext boot but doesn't Disk Hard partially seen formatted In another port it was recognized like normal Then it disconnected itself and came back Ext Hard Disk doesn't boot but is partially seen as a unreadable disk To try Ext Hard Disk doesn't boot but is partially seen and salvage my files I tried a lot of recovery programs with which only one program saw the files but had to be purchased for recovery After trying somethings else which included reconnecting my HD It stopped working as a HD Now the light starts flickering the pc recognizes a external hard disk being connected it installes WD software but it never sees the disk itself the HD itself doesn't even run I can not hear he disk spinning Is there anyway to solve it in a software-way I can't really be spending a lot of cash on recovery agencies Kind regards Joost

A:Ext Hard Disk doesn't boot but is partially seen

Well if you can still get it to connect to the computer (whether it looks normal or says it needs to be formatted) download HD Tune ( HD Tune website ) they have a free trial and see what it looks like under the health tab for your portable hard drive. Do you see anything in yellow or red? Is/was the drive ever making any clicking sounds? If you can't get it to connect to the software then another option if you don't care/don't have a warranty anymore you can open the case and take the hard drive out, then hook it up inside your desktop to see if it will show up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/300236-ext-hard-disk-doesnt-boot-but-partially-seen.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have been trying to fix this laptop for a friend of mine,but now I can't get any reading from the hard drive. its an IBM560 thinkpad. I was just wondering if there might be a setting somewhere on the motherboard that I might have missed. Does anybody know anything about these? I do know it use to read.Thanks Rita

Relevancy 55.04%

I have got an E-System 3083 laptop with 512Mb RAM and it refuses to POST. I can switch it on but the laptop won't POST i have tried with and without the stick of memory in and it does the same either way.

The DVD and HDD does their usual sounds but the screen doesn't switch on either. I have striped the laptop down to just the motherboard and memory without any change.

Please can someone confirm my thoughts of it being a faulty memory module.

A:Laptop doesn't boot

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic55208.html

also
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53866.html

a no-posting laptop probably will require professional repair.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-doesnt-boot.73130/
Relevancy 55.04%

When I turn on my laptop I think  somethings are being  read from  hardware but they aren't clear like photo(2).and sometimes for example for two times after turning up my laptop it  turns off and the third time that I turn on my notebook after seeing pages like photo(2) I encounter the page like photo(1) that if I don't press "Enter" my laptop turns off. My product number: D1Q70EA#ABU Please guide me to solve my problem. Thanks before hand for your help. Photo(1)  Photo(2)    

A:My laptop doesn't boot normally!!!

The cooling fan is not working right and based on the bad display once the sytem does boot up I think maybe the video card has been damaged. One way to tell is to connect to an external monitor and see if you still get the weird display. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/My-laptop-doesn-t-boot-normally/td-p/5764359
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi all.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. Runnin on windows XP. However i spilt orange juice on it a couple months back and since then it hasn't really been the same. Lately it's been working fine but this morning i pushed down the power button, the laptop begins to boot but then after about 5 seconds switches off. The Caps lock,scroll lock lights flash. But the screen remains black, no back light or anything. I have no idea what is wrong. Please help!

Thanks!

A:HELP! laptop doesn't boot.

Hi V.P.

If the cpu fans have failed, the system could be shutting down to save the cpu/motherboard from overheating. During the brief 5-second start-up, do you hear fans spinning?

Try:
1) Start pressing the F12 key as soon as you can while the system powers up. See if this yields menu. If yes, try selecting the Diagnostics item & see if the diagnostics will run.
2) Should you not be able to get as far as the diagnostics, see if you can press the F2 key and successfully enter Bios Setup. If yes, see if you can select a "Save Default Values & Exit" option.
3) If the diagnostics do not run, or if running them yields no useful information, and if you either cannot enter Setup, or if entering default settings doesn't help -- then try:
---a) open the CD/DVD drive and place your Dell Resources CD in the tray (or if you have an "Ultimate Boot CD" or "Knoppix" CD, you can try one of those). Do not close the CD/DVD tray yet.
---b) power off the notebook
---c) unplug the AC adaptor & remove the battery.
---d) close the cd/dvd tray.
---e) plug in the AC adaptor.
---f) power on the notebook, immediately tapping the F12 key.
---g) select your cd/dvd drive from the list of bootable devices
---h) if your notebook boots OK from the bootable CD, run the diagnostics contained on the CD.

Should none of the above work, you likely have a hardware failure that is going to need a knowledgeable repair tech to diagnose. If the motherboard is badly damaged, you'll want to save what parts still work, save what data you can from the hard drive, and sell the old parts to help pay for the PC that will replace the 6000. Replacement motherboards aren't cheap ... but if you don't mind risking your cash, and you are good at reading the Dell Service manuals (there is an in-depth manual freely available for your laptop --- http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm ) --- then you could try the repair yourself. If you run into trouble inside the case & damage your replacement parts, you can find yourself $150 or so less wealthy - and still without a working computer. If Dell repairs the unit, it can cost nearly as much as a brand-new laptop -- I rarely recommend that: except for units where the work is covered by the warranty (and spills are not usually covered).

If the diagnostics run, & turn up some clues, let us know if you have questions
. . . Gary

P.S. ... after "step d" above, you might also wish to try attaching an external monitor.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-laptop-doesnt-boot-253166.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi, I have a genuine case here:

there's this Laptop which doesn't Boot. When you hit the Power Button the lights from the other buttons and the fan turns on but the screen doesn't, after few seconds it restarts with the screen still dark.

It just happened, it was working fine and suddenly the next day when i turned it on, this is what happens. What could be the Problem for this ? hmm, Graphics Card??
or what

Here's the Specifications
Hp DV9000
amd turion 64 x2
2GB Ram
120 GB HDD
Vista Ultimate

A:Laptop doesn't Boot

Have a look here: Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test)
Also I don't understand the pic ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-doesnt-boot.125754/
Relevancy 55.04%

Sometimes the laptop boots up normally and works fine and sometimes it doesn't. After pressing the power button, the power light comes on After some sec The power light goes to amber (charging) and then it turns off.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-Sometimes-Doesn-t-Boot/td-p/5680080
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello,

When I push the power button on my dell cpi laptop, absolutely nothing happens. I've tested my battery, and all 5 lights are green, so the battery's fine...and the adapter that charges the battery seems to be working too (the green battery light on dell laptop lights up as if the battery is charging)

I fear my battery charger board may be dead-- does anyone know how I'd find this out for sure? Also, how much would this type of repair typically cost? (I'm in the NJ/NYC tri state area). Thanks in advance for your help. Appreciate it!
Jason

A:Laptop doesn't boot up- Help!

probably more than the computer is worth. check ebay for a replacement.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-doesnt-boot-up-help.330647/
Relevancy 55.04%

I m trying to help my cousin with her TOSHIBA -S LapTop which has not worked for her in a year or two She had a few friends look at it and they told her it was fried I brought it home realized the battery was probably sone dead so plugged in LapTop Boot Why doesn't Up? this the AC adapter and hit power on Got an imediate error in which I failed to write down stupid me powed it back off and on quot selected boot Why doesn't this LapTop Boot Up? machine with last known good config quot and it came up Nice I went immediately to try to get to the internet through my cable ISP and it worked fine I went to Windows Download and found she needed about updates for her WINXP Home OS which I downloaded and restarted the PC as told noticing she didn t have SP installed My Therory was correct and that once I downloaded all the old updates she had Windows Update would come back with quot do you want to install SP quot which I elected to do That was the end Now when I try to power this beast up I get to the screen that gives me the option to select Safe Mode safe Mode with Networking Safe Mode with Command prompt Reboot with last known Config and Restart Windows Normally None of those options now work Is it possible that the Battery is so dead and the AC adapter may also not be any good so the PC just stops Appareciate any help Thanks much Larry nbsp

A:Why doesn't this LapTop Boot Up?

I highly doubt it is a power issue. It appears that the issue is with Windows somehow. There was some setting that got screwed up when installing SP2. Have you tried doing a repair install?

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-doesnt-this-laptop-boot-up.83690/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello,
I have beenworking on a laptop that kept on getting a blue screen after booting up, managed to reload the graphics drivers. all went well. removed 2 anti virus rograms and rebooted, install a free antivirus program. Latop ran well for 4 hours without a problem. Shutdown laptop, reboot it after 1 hours rest. Bos didn't startup, all i get is a white screen, going in to black. have tried ctrl-alt-del. CD drive is activated and that is all. System had a virus, could it be that there is a virus in the BIOS? it is an Acer aspire 7520g. can anyone give some advice?

Thanks in advance.

A:Laptop doesn't boot.

Remove all non essential hardware till you find the bad component. Remove any USB drives in the computer (USB Flash, HDD, Card Reader, Camera, Phone etc) Remove the battery, Run the computer only on the power adapter. Do you get the same? Remove the HDD, Remove all but one stick of RAM. If you still can't get to the Bios, then there is a major hardware issue motherboard or processor that has failed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-doesnt-boot-682091.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hey TS world. I was given a Gateway laptop model # ML6714. The old owner told me that they was having problems with it and that I could have it. I'm trying to install Vista OS and it's telling me that I don't have a hard drive installed( or something to that effect). Can someone help me with this problem. I have a WD 160gb hard drive installed. Not sure how to fix this. Thanks in advance for all the help.

A:Gateway laptop doesn't recognize hard drive

Are you sure the hard drive hasn't failed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gateway-laptop-doesnt-recognize-hard-drive.162175/
Relevancy 54.61%

System Win Home SP with latest update Hard Drive Seagate TB external hard drive Automatically turns on no power switch Here s the problem My external hard drive no longer wants to play nicely with my laptop or vice versa Now I have my mouse plugged into one of the USBs doesn t matter which one I move it around and it works fine Flash drives same thing no problem Same with both of my game controllers Never a problem I go to plug in my external hard drive and either it will come on for like seconds drive hard doesn't laptop external recognize and then laptop doesn't recognize external hard drive go away or it doesn t come on at all However if my husband plugs in my external hard drive to his computer which by the way is the exact same as my computer both laptops of the same brand and model it comes on within seconds and stays on My external hard drive USED to laptop doesn't recognize external hard drive work on my laptop just fine And my smaller tb Iomega external hard drive works great on this laptop So what did I inadvertently change to make my laptop no longer wish to speak to my external hard drive I ll bet it s something really simple Any help at all will be greatly appreciated and not argued with in the least I promise my husband is making me say that LOL Thank you Lynn nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-doesnt-recognize-external-hard-drive.1155919/
Relevancy 54.18%

I'm running XPSP I ran chkdsk using the command line and got CHKDSK is verifying files stage of doesn't boot drive hard clean chkdsk at problems up File verification completed CHKDSK is verifying indexes stage of Deleting index entry BitmeterHistory xml in index of file Deleting index entry BITMET XML in index of file Index verificatin completed Errors found CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode so chkdsk at boot doesn't clean up hard drive problems I ran chkdsk f and scheduled a chkdsk to be run on next boot I then rebooted The boot chkdsk ran fine and then after windows had booted I re-ran chkdsk and got CHKDSK is chkdsk at boot doesn't clean up hard drive problems verifying files stage of File verification completed CHKDSK is verifying indexes stage of Deleting index entry BitmeterHistory xml in index of file Deleting chkdsk at boot doesn't clean up hard drive problems index entry BITMET XML in index of file Deleting index entry ci in index of file Deleting index entry dir in index of file Deleting index entry CiFLfffc in index of file Deleting index entry CiFLfffc in index of file Deleting index entry CiFLfffc in index of file Index verification completed Errors found CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode Any suggestions for what else I can do

A:chkdsk at boot doesn't clean up hard drive problems

run it again with the chkdsk /f switch (or is it /r) and chose Y for yes when it asks to do it at next boot then reboot. It should fix up the problems.

Oh my bad, didnt notice that you already did that. my apologies

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/chkdsk-at-boot-doesnt-clean-up-hard-drive-problems-332715.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a Maxtor 500gb external hard drive, it works fine, but ever since I bought it, My Dell Dimension 9200 hasn't been booting up. I switch the power button on, and I just get the bios loading screen and it just stays there. I have to disconnect the hard drive before switching it back on...I think the bios is trying to boot from the external usb source and I know the boot order can be changed from the BIOS but I wanted to come here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction before I start messing with it.

Any help is appreciated..

Peace out.

Dell Dimension 9200/XPS 420
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
2GB RAM
500 GB Hard Drive
Nvidia 7900gs

A:Solved: PC doesn't boot up when External Hard Drive plugged in...

This is a fairly common problem without a common solution. On 2 of my machines, after trying it for the ump-teenth time, the machines suddenly started to boot with the externals plugged in.

I'd suggest trying to boot the machine and then letting it sit for as long as practicable. It takes some BIOS a long time to self-adjust to this new device for some reason. Also, try taking a look in the BIOS and try different USB settings, such as that for "legacy" or "DOS" USB compatibility. Try them all.

And definitely check the boot order. If USB is near the top, move it lower on the list or remove it altogether, if possible.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-pc-doesnt-boot-up-when-external-hard-drive-plugged-in.800156/
Relevancy 54.18%

Finally I have up windows start doesn't disk boot, hard [SOLVED] a problem where I can''t make heads or tails from I have a very old Pentium II computer using Windows XP which I use as a music cumputer It suddenly stoped working What it still does is booting it finishes POST operation checks BIOS recognises that keyboard and Mouse are attached it correctly sees my hard drive and cd-rom drive Then it switches to my hard drive and is supposed to start windows but it just gets stuck there giving me an ugly black screens with a blinking cursor and that's all I've tried reinstalling Windows from CD and [SOLVED] hard disk doesn't boot, start up windows that works fine until it restarts and the hard drive is supposed to [SOLVED] hard disk doesn't boot, start up windows take over from [SOLVED] hard disk doesn't boot, start up windows the CD-ROM It gives me the same screen The silly thing is that up until that moment the computer has been copying files from the cd to the hard disk so the computer is able to work with the harddisk I've checkdisked the HD and everything was fine I've placed the HD onto another computer and it was able to read the HD so the HD is OK I've repeated everything with another HD with exactly the same results So the computer is working nothing wrong with the MoBo the HD is working cables are fine I've replaced them as well computer is able to work with the HD but it just won't work when windows is supposed to start up I've a so made sure that the master slave jumpers are ok so that's not the problem either HELP ME SOMEBODY

A:[SOLVED] hard disk doesn't boot, start up windows

try another power supply in it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-hard-disk-doesnt-boot-start-up-windows-326635.html
Relevancy 54.18%

i just installed a new motherboard because the usb ports on my last one died, for some reason my computer can't boot from the hard drive. if i put in a bootable disk and don't press any buttons to boot from the disk, then it will load windows and it works fine. any suggestions, i've already made my hard drive my second boot option in bios just below the cdrom.

Relevancy 54.18%

Hi All
Daughter's Toshiba Equium L300 laptop, purchased Sept 08, with Windows Vista fails to complete it's boot up. On pressing the on button the toshiba welcome screen appears with with task bar F2 and F12 instructions, and then the screen goes blank and machine goes quiet.
The lights for battery, and mains power are green and start up button also green.

I have tried starting up on just battery, and just mains, but this makes no difference. I have also tried using the power cable from my Toshiba laptop, but this also makes no difference.

Daughter reports that she has had this problem on and off during her last year at University - sometimes leaves machine for a week or so and next time it comes back to life - been 3 days this time!

Help please

Relevancy 54.18%

My issue is best described in this video - http www youtube com watch v Yt-bFeeS Ls I have an Acer Aspire - Windows AMD Processor Bascially I power on my laptop The power light boot but powers doesn't up. Laptop on is on I hear it begin to run but it doesnt begin to boot up windows or anything and I m staring at a blank screen So I tried doing a hard reset draining the bios by removing the battery and holding power connecting to an external display and removing RAM All Laptop powers on but doesn't boot up. did not work What is very odd is my universal power adapter was set on v instead of v like it should be My friend set it back to v and it powered on so I thought that was the issue I had a working laptop for about a day and then the issue reoccurred I ve tried using my stock power adapter as well as the universal one and no adapter at all Still have the same issue It s weird that it randomly stopped working began workign again and now is not working again What is the problem and what is the solution All help very much appreciated nbsp

A:Laptop powers on but doesn't boot up.

'fraid to say it doesn't look good at all. If it were just your hard drive that were the problem you'd at least have a message from your BIOS saying something along the lines of "Operating system not found". The lack of any BIOS activity at all indicates motherboard failure (assuming you're certain it's not a display issue, but it doesn't sound like it to me).

24V input on a laptop designed for 19V is a massive difference, though: never more than 0.5V above or below is the rule of thumb. I'm not sufficiently qualified/experienced to tell you that you cooked your motherboard, but experience tells me your mobo is cooked nonetheless. I've had two laptops die due to motherboard failure - the first simply stopped working from one second to the next, but the second died a slow and painful death where it simply became less and less reliable, until it finally stopped booting in the way you describe. The point being that readjusting the voltage on your power adapter may have been enough for one last power-on, allowing you and your laptop to say your final farewells.

Anyone else care to chime in and confirm/reject my suspicions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-powers-on-but-doesnt-boot-up.1118879/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

My Laptop doesn't start at all, it has power and the light indicates that power is on but when i press the power button to turn on the laptop nothing happens at all. No screen (Blank Screen), Fan doesn't even start. It's like that the power button is broken or something

Laptop model: Acer Extensa 5235 Series
Model No.: ZR6
OS Version: Windows 7 Home (32 bit)
HDD: 250 GB
RAM: 3 GB

I really don't know how to solve this.

Any Solution will be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 54.18%

Hello,

I have an old laptop, the issue with it is that it can't boot after restarting it. I have tested components such as ram hard drive.
I tried it with and without battery. what are possible symptoms.

A:when restart laptop doesn't boot

I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert advice:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618884/when-restart-laptop-doesnt-boot/
Relevancy 54.18%

Good morning Techos!

I was wondering if you guys could lend some help at me regarding the HP g61 laptop.

1. When the pc boots, there are hang ups I experience:
a. At start, I just see a black screen with a small underscore character in the top-left,
b. Starts, sees Hp logo, then boots, and hangs up at windows 7 logo with "Starting Windows" caption.
c. Tests, Start-up tests, run-test, hdd test and memory test in the hardware test but hangs in either of them two.
d. Boots up, sees "Windows Error Recovery Screen" page, and hangs (hangs at 30 sec countdown)

2. I am suspecting that the processor is somewhat damaged already, because I tested the HDD and RAM on my other laptop, it works just fine. Please advise if there are ideas that springs up on your mind. It will be a waste if it will not be resolved. Thank you Techos!!

A:HP G61 laptop doesn't boot properly

Is this a new laptop still under warranty or not?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-g61-laptop-doesnt-boot-properly.189666/
Relevancy 54.18%

My brother sent me his zv laptop to try and repair the power connector He said that it wouldn t charge the battery and that he would have to move the plug around to get power After doing some research it seemed like a bad power jack which is a very common problem with HP s So I took the laptop apart and checked HP boot doesn't Pavilion laptop out the connector it seemed fine When I put it all back together HP Pavilion laptop doesn't boot it wouldn t boot My brother said that it worked before he sent it HP Pavilion laptop doesn't boot too me and I forgot to try it HP Pavilion laptop doesn't boot when I got it The power LED and all the lights on the keyboard would turn on the processor fans ran for about seconds then shut off and there was no display or HDD activity I figured the motherboard probably died which I was going to replace anyway After getting a used one from Ebay I put it in the laptop and it did the same thing So I grabbed a different processor and tried that No luck I have gone so far as to take the board completely out of the laptop and with just power and the display hooked up no RAM no HDD no keyboard and tried to boot Nothing The only things that have been common are the processor fans heatsink and the power supply The power supply voltage checks out ok about Vdc I am really at a loss as to what it could be Is there some reset on the board that I am missing I really don t want to put any more money into this thing My brother doesn t really want it back but I want to try to figure it out anyway Any help would be appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-pavilion-laptop-doesnt-boot.465207/
Relevancy 54.18%

My 18 month old laptop running windows 7 doesn't recognize older WD passport ext hard drive, nor does my old desktop running XP. Does this mean it is dead?
Thanks for any help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-laptop-doesnt-recognize-external-hard-drive.1059462/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello
My pc used to lag sometimes when I incert my external hard drive , I suspected that it could be problem with windows or the laptop hard drive itself
So I wrote down this code in the command prompt to check for drive errors and bad sector ( not the C , I tested D: )
Chkdsk/ /r /f D: /x , where /X means force dismount if necessary
After 8h+ I wake up and check it out it was in stage 4 working but then this error happened and stopped ( check the link )

Since then the laptop keep restarting and doesn't recognize the hard drive anymore
I suspect that it could be because system error cased it to force dismount but then since it crashed it didnt do it properly ,
So what I can do now ? My laptop doesn't recognize my hard drive at all but I have a Bootable usb and it sees it with the correct size
Please help , thanks

A:My laptop doesn't recognize my hard disc anymore and keep rebooting

Sounds like the drive is failing or has failed.  Power on, press f12 several times until a boot menu appears and enter the Dell diagnostics.  Run an extended test on the drive -- if you receive an error such as 2000-0142, etc., the drive has failed.  If you need help selecting a replacement drive, we'll need to know the system model information (i.e., Inspiron 5730, N5110, etc.).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19983266
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i am trying to factory reset to the default settings again because of the stupid problems i am having on the tablet.
Here is the problem i am trying to get into the BIOS which is the 1 step on the Acer website but for some bizarre reason when it is completely off i press the Windows button and the power button to get in to the BIOS as it says on the Acer Website but it keeps going to the start menu/desktop now instead of going to the BIOS. :/
I have factory reset/hard reset on my Acer Iconia W700 a couple times and i never had this problem before, i gone in to the BIOS no problem!!!
Can someone help me please?? Thanks!!!

A:Windows 8 tablet factory reset/hard reset problem!!! HELP!!

Is it still under warranty? You should try contacting Acer.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/397817-windows-8-tablet-factory-reset-hard-reset-problem-help.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have installed a new hard drive in my laptop I placed the old hard drive in a USB disk boot 0xc000000e hard drive after error doesn't cloning, New enclosure I then booted the notebook with EaseUS Todo Backup from CD-ROM and selected to clone the disk from the external to the internal hard drive and choose the option to resize the partitions After over three hours the cloning process was complete However after the re-start I get error xc e New hard drive doesn't boot after disk cloning, error 0xc000000e quot Windows Boot Manager Windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause To fix the problem Insert your installation disc and restart your computer Choose your language setting and then click quot Next quot Click quot Repair your computer quot If you do not have the disc contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance Status xc e Info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible ENTER Continue ESC Exit quot Obviously the disc cloning was not successful I am not sure what is the best way to proceed from here I tried to boot from recovery CD-ROMs in the hope to be able to repair the MBR but it seems that booting from CD currently fails Hitting ENTER and ESC both restarted the notebook Shortly afterwards the same screen message was visible Thank you for helping me with this problem

A:New hard drive doesn't boot after disk cloning, error 0xc000000e

Have quite some experience with the aesus tools, never failed here, but have no idea about what went wrong in your case, can be anything, software or hardware. One thing:

Quote:
and selected to clone the disk from the external to the internal hard drive

Your process should have worked, but I have mostly done it the other way around > copying from the pc to the external, and then do the switch. Maybe worth a try. First fit the original hd back into the laptop and check it's booting fine and programs etc work well, maybe do a chkdsk, defrag, ccleaner and sfc job, then do the cloning (will clone it without even leaving windows).

(btw, current Todo bu is 5.0. And posting this using a new hd, cloned 10 minutes ago happy when all goes well)

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/259938-new-hard-drive-doesnt-boot-after-disk-cloning-error-0xc000000e.html
Relevancy 53.75%

When i depress the power on button, i get an indication that power (from battery) is present, but the systems won't boot. when i release the key, the indicator goes off.

Help! Any ideas? is this some kind of a lock?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-pavilion-laptop-powers-but-doesnt-boot.549109/
Relevancy 53.75%

I got a thermal shut down message on my work computer. I work in a dusty shop so dust does accrue rapidly. A coworker and I carefully opened up the computer and blew it out with canned air. After putting it back together, the thing would not boot up.

Upon hitting the power button, I can hear the disk start up, then nothing. The power indicator light is on, but nothing happens.

Our IT guys didn't sound hopeful.

Any ideas on what might have happened?

A:Laptop doesn't boot after blowing out internals

hi,

Do you work in an IT shop or have much experience with computers?

What laptop were you using?

It sounds like you may have snapped a cable somewhere or dislodged one somewhere.

James

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-doesnt-boot-after-blowing-out-internals.155560/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello, My notebook DV6 7320el was overheating so I opened the computer and cleaned it (I didn't changed the thermal paste).I put it back together and as soon as I plugged the power in it turned on.  The power, wireless and charging leds are turned on but the computer doesn't boot at all and the screen remains black.  I opened it again to check if I didn't plug a cable correctly but it all seems fine.What should I do now? Which components I might have connected incorrectly?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-turn-itself-on-when-plugged-but-doesn-t-boot/td-p/5689936
Relevancy 53.75%

Occasionally my Laptop (Windows 7, 3gb RAM, Compaq Presario CCQ61) doesn't boot up correctly. As in normally the problem is ''Windows cannot find an OS'' thats not the exact wording but somewhere along the lines, its a blue screen and there is also some other writing underneath. I tap the off button to turn off and then i turn on again, sometimes it boots up fine and works good but sometime like it says run system repair (reccomended) so you do and it go's through steps and tells you to do a system restore which I do then it does work...but then maybe a week later you will open the lid and it won't respond (the mouse won't move and you have to hold the power button the turn it off., its starting to get annoying at this stage, considering restoring to factory settings...any advice much appreciated! thanks

A:Laptop occasionnaly doesn't boot up correctly.

http://search.hp.com/query.html?lang=en&qp=&hps=Home&hpn=Home&la=en&cc=us&hpr=http%3A//h41131.www4.hp.com/us/en&hpa=http%3A//www.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html&charset=utf-8&qt=operating+system+not+found

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408802/laptop-occasionnaly-doesnt-boot-up-correctly/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi
I have Inspiron 15z, and it doesn't boot at all. The display remains blank and I get a sound of 3 beeps after some time and the beeps continue. What is the solution?

A:The laptop doesn't boot and makes 3 beeps continuously

Hi BAINZ89,
Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.
3 beeps usually indicates an issue with the motherboard.
Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.
(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).
Regards,DELL-Akshatha MSocial Media and Community Professional#IWork4Dell

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19977506
Relevancy 52.89%

I have Studio 1555. Few days back, the laptop stopped and The screen colours got smudged and there were lines on the screen. It was all internal, no external damage. I tried to restart the system, but I was unable to restart it at that time. I turned on the laptop after an hour and it started. Now, few days later, the laptop isnmt turning on at all and displays nothing when turns on. Just the light in power button and backlit of keyboard, except that, nothing is working. No beed sounds etc.
I have tried various troubleshooting steps but in vain. I can feel the fan running. What to do, please help?

A:The laptop doesn't boot and displays a blank screen

Hi BAINZ89,
Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.
Please try to run the on-board Dell diagnostics using any of the below steps:

Hold down the <Fn> key while pressing the power button.
Turn on the system, press <F12> at the initial Dell™ logo screen, and select Diagnostics from the boot menu.
Disconnect the AC power and remove the battery. While holding down the power button, insert the AC connector into the back of the system. The system then starts and the message Diagnsotic boot selected displays. The system then launches the diagnostics. 

Please capture any error codes or messages you receive.
Connect the system to an external monitor to check if there is any display.
What is the status of the power button and does the CAPS lock key indicator lights up when you toggle the key?
Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.
(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).
Regards,DELL-Akshatha MSocial Media and Community Professional#IWork4Dell

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19977507
Relevancy 52.89%

My Lenovo IdeaPad y510p displays nothing but a blank black screen when the power button is pressed, the keyboard lights up and the fan spins but no part of the computer seems to boot at all. I have tried removing all power supplies/cables and flushing the battery by holding the power button for 15 seconds, as well as using the NOVO button on the side. The NOVO button does exactly the same thing as the power button. Interestingly the laptop's screen doesn't even appear to turn on, let alone display anything. I'm at a loss for what to do with this as I'm not confident the warranty is still active (the laptop is at least three years old).  Thanks for any help

A:Y510p Laptop will not boot. NOVO button doesn't di...

Have you tried connecting an external display and seeing whether there's any output on it?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Laptop-will-not-boot-NOVO-button-doesn-t-display-anything/td-p/3326568
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to 7 laptop Windows boot after to downgrading Samsung doesn't post this Samsung laptop doesn't boot after downgrading to Windows 7 question but i'll post it anyway since it's a big problem for me I wanted to help a friend of mine by downgrading his Windows laptop I installed Windows x by DVD without any problems I've formatted al drives After the installation the laptop tried to boot but it only shows a black screen after the BIOS splash screen Bios settings Fast BIOS enabled AHCI Mode Control Auto Secure Boot Disabled OS Mode Samsung laptop doesn't boot after downgrading to Windows 7 Selection UEFI and Legacy OS The laptop is a Samsung NP E C-S NL The BIOS version is P Samsung laptop doesn't boot after downgrading to Windows 7 ABF The HDD is set up as the primary boot device The strange thing is that if I use the Boot Override option and select this HDD Windows boot normally Of course this only works once so I always need to go into the BIOS to use the boot override option Does anybody have any experience with this problem and maybe a way to fix it

A:Samsung laptop doesn't boot after downgrading to Windows 7

Quote:
I wanted to help a friend of mine by downgrading his Windows 8 laptop.

YES & NO, down to your UEFI/BIOS firmware setting.

As this a OEM manufacturer's PC with Pre-installed Windows 8.

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/325828-samsung-laptop-doesnt-boot-after-downgrading-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

I have an Asus R510D laptop, which originally came w/ Windows 8 installed. I downgraded to Windows 7, and the very first time I booted, everything was fine. Ever since then, after boot, at the login screen, the keyboard does not allow me to type my password. However, I am able to use the function keys, which is the workaround I've found for this issue.

After booting and reaching the login screen, I must put the keyboard to sleep, then awaken it, for the keyboard to function properly. I've tried updating the driver, but it doesn't solve the issue. I was wondering if anyone had come across an issue like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jeff

A:Laptop Keyboard Doesn't Work Properly After Boot

You did mean R510DP right? That laptop does not support Win 7. Have you tried installing the Win 8 drivers in Compatibility Mode

Asus R510DP Driver & Tools Just a thought.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399976-laptop-keyboard-doesnt-work-properly-after-boot.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Laptop in question HP Pavilion DV running Windows Vista Home I think -bit Today I was using my laptop running on battery power only Unfortunately the battery no longer locks I moved the laptop and the battery fell out Naturally as was not plugged in to an external power source my laptop shut off Upon re-inserting the Boot Vista Now Battery Out, Doesn't Laptop Falls battery and plugging in the laptop to an external power source for good measure I received the quot Windows Error Recovery quot screen presenting me with Safe ModeSafe Mode with NetworkingSafe Mode with Command PromptStart Windows NormallyI tried quot Start Windows Normally quot and after a loading screen Microsoft Corporation at bottom then Laptop Battery Falls Out, Now Vista Doesn't Boot the screen went black I could see the mouse on screen yet Vista would not boot up I manually shut down my computer and this time selected quot Safe Mode quot same thing loading screen then screen goes black with mouse Vista does not load I then hit quot F quot to get to the quot Advanced Boot Options quot Repair your computerSafe modeSafe mode with networkingSafe mode with command promptEnable boot loggingEnable low resolution video Last Known Laptop Battery Falls Out, Now Vista Doesn't Boot Good Configuration advanced Directory services restore modeDebugging modeDisable automatic restart on system failureDisable Driver Signature EnforcementStart Windows normallyI tried the options in bold and the same thing happened each time loading screen then screen goes black with mouse Vista does not load The quot Repair your computer quot option got me to the quot System Recovery Options quot screen where I didn't know how to proceed so I simply restarted never actually getting to the loading screen The only other possible thing was the fact that I had unchecked a few Nvidia options in quot Startup quot using quot msconfig quot all of which were not necessary on startup However after doing this I was able to restart the computer twice without any problems before the battery fell out so I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem I'm so lost

A:Laptop Battery Falls Out, Now Vista Doesn't Boot

The nVidia stuff is related to your video drivers - and video drivers are a common (but not the only) cause of the black screen event.I'd suggest going back to the Repair your Computer screen and choose the Startup Repair option (figure 9 in this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ ) And let Startup Repair do it's thing.If that's not successful, then go back in and choose System Restore. And restore your system back to a time before you made the MSCONFIG changes. FWIW - this is one of the reasons that we don't recommend the use of MSCONFIG for anything but troubleshooting. For permanent modification of startup entries I recommend this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/211774/laptop-battery-falls-out-now-vista-doesnt-boot/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

I have an Asus R510D laptop, which originally came w/ Windows 8 installed. I downgraded to Windows 7, and the very first time I booted, everything was fine. Ever since then, after boot, at the login screen, the keyboard does not allow me to type my password. However, I am able to use the function keys, which is the workaround I've found for this issue.

After booting and reaching the login screen, I must put the keyboard to sleep, then awaken it, for the keyboard to function properly. I've tried updating the driver, but it doesn't solve the issue. I was wondering if anyone had come across an issue like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jeff

A:Laptop Keyboard Doesn't Work Properly After Boot

You did mean R510DP right? That laptop does not support Win 7. Have you tried installing the Win 8 drivers in Compatibility Mode

Asus R510DP Driver & Tools Just a thought.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/399976-laptop-keyboard-doesnt-work-properly-after-boot.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all,

I had a Toshiba Satellite M60 die on me. Went completely dead (only a year and a half old, POS), no indicator lights, battery or AC lights, didn't respond to any tries. I replaced the motherboard with an identical USED one, the system responds now, lights are on, battery gets charged but it doesn't boot. The screen remains blank, the hard drive and CD drive spin. I disconnected the laptop's screen and connected an external monitor, same result. Any ideas? Could the CPU be dead too?
It doesn't have a separate video card, it shares the system's memory, and itís got 2G memory installed.

Thanks,

Alex

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-motherboard-replaced-system-doesnt-boot.712429/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a HP G7 series laptop.Several months ago the motherboard went out.  I finally got around to ordering a replacement, then had to order a replacement amd chip since the new motherboard had a different socket type.  I put it all back together and now instead of the caps light blinking, the power button will blink once for half a second and then nothing will happen after that. 

A:hp g7 laptop power button blinks once, doesn't boot

Hi @elMusso, Welcome to HP Forums! I understand that your laptop still does not work after you replaced the motherboard. I want to help. The document below may help you diagnose the hardware issue of your laptop:HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code Let me know how it goes. To say "Thank you", click on the "Thumb up" icon. Regards, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/hp-g7-laptop-power-button-blinks-once-doesn-t-boot/td-p/5591469
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a year old asus k n that has been upgraded to win Was running a bit slow so i was checking settings and noticed that in msconfig it was set to the limited boot option the last one on the list not normal boot I had noticed before and when i would set it to normal it would be back at the limited option the next time I used the computer This time however upon reboot it took a longer time than usual to boot and then it doesn't boot laptop Changed now login settings, show gets to the screen where there is usually the user name and password box with the power button in the lower right corner and the accessiblity button in the lower left but there is no password box or user name image I can change the accessilibity options and use the power button so the computer hasn't frozen I suspected perhaps there Changed boot settings, now laptop doesn't show login was a secure boot issue so i toggled those settings in bios to no avail Tried recovery Changed boot settings, now laptop doesn't show login disk booted up ubuntu and all the files are there and doesn't appear to be any issues that way SFC scannow Changed boot settings, now laptop doesn't show login says errors found but couldn't fix DISM says repairable but i cant seem to run it in such a way that it finds the source files to do the repair and i'm not sure that is an issue as using the advance options from the recovery menu I can boot into safe mode and the computer runs fine ANy help whatsoever appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my long rambling post

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/54457-changed-boot-settings-now-laptop-doesnt-show-login.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi guys first post I work for my school s computer lab support straight goes boot, fails Start-up repair and doesn't to Laptop A student brought in her Sony Vaio laptop She claims she downloaded and installed some Windows updates then it just restarted and never be able to boot back into windows again It instead goes directly Laptop doesn't boot, goes straight to Start-up repair and fails to the start-up repair upon boot The repair runs for a while then gives up It says it can t fix the problem Now she brought it in Laptop doesn't boot, goes straight to Start-up repair and fails right when we were about to close the lab so I didn t have a chance to get much info of the laptop itself All I know is it s a Sony Vaio running windows I m going to be working on it tomorrow and in order to save time and frustration I would love to hear you guys suggestions and advice I m aware there s not much info on the laptop so basically just shots in the dark Just throw out whatever you guys think could be the problem Could it be boot-sector virus Damaged MBR etc Thank you in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-doesnt-boot-goes-straight-to-start-up-repair-and-fails.1016408/
Relevancy 52.46%

Built my computer about months ago worked fine up until now My PC randomly freezes completely and suddenly Task manager wont open and I have to reset it however even after reset it takes forever to boot and it goes straight to the wont up, reset UEFI Computer to boot till full shutdown/reset goes button locking UEFI and not to Windows even if I exit the UEFI it won t boot into Windows until I shut it off completely then turn it back on My M g SSD Windows Drive doesn t show up in the Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset boot menu but does in device manager my computer however this is not a new thing I suspected the SSD might be failing The freezing started after having my computer off for days it s never been Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset shut off for more than a day or two I can think of no other unusual things Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset I might have done or changed So far I have tried Resetting the BIOS overclocks to quot default quot they have been stable Running memtest for a period of hours with no errors Running MSI Kombuster burn-in-test for about half an hour This was happening while playing Battlefield I thought it might be the game GPU but it happens even while watching VLC or browsing Firefox and Chrome on their own Didn t crash Freeing up space in the Windows SSD It had less than GB now it has GB and the problem still occurs Checked all temperatures of CPU GPU Drives Mobo nothing is overheating Under GPU stress test It doesn t lag or give warnings it just locks up There were several large tmp files taking up space - gb in my windows SSD g M I deleted them but one reappeared I forgot the folder location it was a Temp folder I think under AppData it wasn t the windows temp folder The reason I mention it is because they were never there before I don t use my Windows SSD for anything beside a few quot essential quot small applications and then suddenly it was full which I didn t see until I was troubleshooting my current issue They were all hours old My only guess is BF was putting them there for some reason because my g SSD was too full They all started with SRA then random letters or numbers tmp nbsp

A:Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset

The SSD might be failing. Is it still under warranty?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-locking-up-reset-button-goes-to-uefi-wont-boot-till-full-shutdown-reset.204640/
Relevancy 52.46%

hi,i wanted to know if hard reset and factory reset are the same things?my laptop won't turn on and i found out that i can hard reset that, but i do not want any of my data on hard disk to be erased. is it possible?(i've shut it down before so there is no data on RAM)thanks in advance.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:are hard reset and factory reset the same thing?

Hi, No, factory reset will bring your machine back to facory status (the time opening the box) byt hard reset won't. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/are-hard-reset-and-factory-reset-the-same-thing/td-p/5676772
Relevancy 49.88%

My hp2000 laptop in perfect condition and I am and I keep it very well maintenanced both physically and internally everything works great until I get a Windows 8.1 upgrade when I logged out I ended up having to charge my laptop later and it was blank white for maybe two seconds once I plugged it in then go to straight Amber and then do nothing and every time I take it off the charger and try to power it up and it finally just blink and then nothing I've tried to do it hard reset 20 - 30 times and I am getting nothing please help me figure this out

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hp-2000-laptop-wont-boot-or-it-wont-ha-rd-reset/td-p/5681525
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello every one I've been having a long term problem that has basically plagued my computer since I've built it Yet the issue manifests itself in different ways through out the years The issue is At certain seemingly random points my computer screen freezes with no BSOD Computer is still running with Firefox freezing Random, Life. Hard in Second hard and reset required. fans going No error message Sound stops Mouse is not responsive on screen Nothing works Screen is frozen on the last picture A holding down of the power button for a hard reset is the only way to recover Through out the years since I've changed graphics cards and RAM chips in order to try and solve this Random, hard freezing in Firefox and Second Life. Hard reset required. problem I've found that the RAM had no effect on the issue but the graphics cards perhaps did Back in I had constant random freezing at random intervals during the days of the week whilst basically doing any thing An SLI set up of two Geforce s I finally discarded one of the graphics cards to only run one and that seemingly fixed most random freezing issues for some time Though it did happen on some rare occasion that I could not explain How ever In I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX OC and found that issues immediately arose again I could not activity render videos in Adobe Premiere Elements whilst working on the video editing software with out a hard freeze Basically unable to render videos in real-time whilst working on them any more More issues started occurring later with this same card When watching Youtube videos in Firefox browser Occasionally with increasing frequency watching videos in the browser were causing this problem Then I discovered the option to disable 'hardware acceleration' and the problem hasn't arisen in the browser since Come Using a program known as 'Second Life' that does tend to use a lot of resources When computer resources were being strained too hard this problem did return on a rare occasion when I was running dual clients of this program In this same program known as 'Second Life' had gone through some updates and now for some reason the freezing issue has reared its ugly head in a big way Some times I can't be on this program for even an hour and the hard freeze occurs To fix this issue from that point I've tried updating to the latest graphics drivers No success I've even upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX Ti and again updated to the latest graphics drivers The issue still persists and renders use of them program unusable I am able to play games such as Guild Wars Grand Theft Auto Trove etc with out issue how ever I do not know what is causing the issue in order to know what I need to fix My current setup is ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Operating System Windows Professional -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd System Model X A-UD BIOS Award Modular BIOS v PG Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce GTX Ti DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV C amp SUBSYS amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit H... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396853-random-hard-freezing-firefox-second-life-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 49.02%

My laptop does not boot, it cannot detect the hard drive

A:My laptop does not boot, it cannot detect the hard drive

OK have you tried a hard drive diagnostic in the BIOS (F10)? If the hard drive is not visible there I think we need to begin talking about a replacement. Providing us the model of the laptop is a good way to help us help you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/My-laptop-does-not-boot-it-cannot-detect-the-hard-drive/td-p/3044783
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello Welcome to BleepingComputer I'm nasdaq and will be helping you If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed --RogueKiller--Download amp SAVE to your Desktop For bit hard scan to after boot virus laptop system or For bit system Quit all programs that you may have started Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan For Vista or Windows right-click and select Run as Administrator to start For Windows XP double-click to start Wait until Prescan has finished Then Click on Scan buttonWait until the Status box shows Scan Finished click on delete Wait until the Status box shows Deleting Finished Click on Report and copy paste the content of the Notepad into your next reply The log should be found in RKreport txt on your DesktopExit Close RogueKiller Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop Close all open programs and internet browsers Double click on AdwCleaner exe to run the tool Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete Click the Report button and the report will open in Notepad IMPORTANTIf you click the Clean button all laptop hard to boot after virus scan items listed in the report will be removed If you find some false positive items or programs that you wish to keep Close the AdwCleaner windows Close all open programs and internet browsers Double click on AdwCleaner exe to run the tool Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete Check off the element s you wish to keep Click on the Clean button follow the prompts A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished Please post the content of that log file with your next answer You can find the log file at C AdwCleaner Sn txt n is a number Download the version of this tool for your operating system Farbar Recovery Scan Tool bit Farbar Recovery Scan Tool bit and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop Double-click to run it When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer Press Scan button It will make a log FRST txt in the same directory the tool is run Please copy and paste it to your reply The first time the tool is run it makes also another log Addition txt Please attach it to your reply Please paste the logs in your next reply DO NOT ATTACH THEM unless specified To attach a file select the More Reply Option and follow the instructions Wait for further instructions

A:laptop hard to boot after virus scan

Hello Nasdaq, and thank you for taking the time to help me. 

RogueKiller V9.2.10.0 (x64) [Jul 11 2014] by Adlice Software
mail : http://www.adlice.com/contact/
Blog : http://www.adlice.com

Operating System : Windows 7 (6.1.7601 Service Pack 1) 64 bits version
Started in : Normal mode
User : James [Admin rights]
Mode : Remove -- Date : 09/10/2014  17:37:15

¤¤¤ Bad processes : 2 ¤¤¤
[Suspicious.Path] BrowserSyncSetup.exe -- C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\BrowserSync\BrowserSyncSetup.exe[-] -> KILLED [TermProc]
[Suspicious.Path] IEBrowserSync.exe -- C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\BrowserSync\IE\IEBrowserSync.exe[-] -> KILLED [TermProc]

¤¤¤ Registry Entries : 21 ¤¤¤
[Suspicious.Path] (X64) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2796882250-677299055-3329080932-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | BrowserSync : "C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\BrowserSync\BrowserSyncSetup.exe"repair update startup [x] -> DELETED
[Suspicious.Path] (X64) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2796882250-677299055-3329080932-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | IEBrowserSync : "C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\BrowserSync\IE\IEBrowserSync.exe" [x] -> DELETED
[Suspicious.Path] (X86) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2796882250-677299055-3329080932-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | BrowserSync : "C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\BrowserSync\BrowserSyncSetup.exe"repair update startup  -> ERROR [2]
[Suspicious.Path] (X86) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2796882250-677299055-3329080932-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | IEBrowserSync : "C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\BrowserSync\IE\IEBrowserSync.exe"  -> ERROR [2]
[PUM.Dns] (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters | DhcpNameServer : 75.76.84.102 75.76.84.103  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Dns] (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters | DhcpNameServer : 75.76.84.102 75.76.84.103  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Dns] (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters | DhcpNameServer : 75.76.84.102 75.76.84.103  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Dns] (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{9C3F8858-6950-476D-AED0-2B3C81110734} | DhcpNameServer : 75.76.84.102 75.76.84.103  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Dns] (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{FF494F62-D114-4F9F-A06B-5730E5B90BCA} | DhcpNameServer : 172.18.206.215 172.18.206.215  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Dns] (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{9C3F8858-6950-476D-AED0-2B3C81110734} | DhcpNameServer : 75.76.84.102 75.76.84.103  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Dns] (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{FF494F62-D114-4F9F-A06B-5730E5B90BCA} | DhcpNameServer : 172.18.206.215 172.18.206.215  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Dns] (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{9C3F8858-6950-476D-AED0-2B3C81110734} | DhcpNameServer : 75.76.84.102 75.76.84.103  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Dns] (X64) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{FF494F62-D114-4F9F-A06B-5730E5B90BCA} | DhcpNameServer : 172.18.206.215 172.18.206.215  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Policies] (X64) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2796882250-677299055-3329080932-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System | DisableRegistryTools : 0  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Policies] (X64) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2796882250-677299055-3329080932-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System | DisableTaskMgr : 0  -> NOT SELECTED
[PUM.Policies] (X86) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2796882250-677299055-3329080932-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/547041/laptop-hard-to-boot-after-virus-scan/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a company laptop running windows nt and I get the following boot error message: \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I was told that if I remove my hard drive from my home computer and use a hard drive enclosure that I could start my laptop from the hard drive enclosure, access that internal hard drive, and copy the fixed files from a repair file located on the internal hard drive. I cannot get the laptop to read the external hard drive enclosure. I went into the bios and set it to boot from an external usb but it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-laptop-from-hard-drive-enclosure.418499/
Relevancy 49.02%

Laptop won't boot Tried Windows+B button-  no results Tried power then F2 and checked hard drive.   It said no hard drive installed.  Now what?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-won-t-boot-no-hard-drive-found/td-p/5784052
Relevancy 49.02%

My laptop crashed the other day and when I tried to boot up again the scrolling loading screen of xp wouldn t stop scrolling So i tried a few things last config safe mode booting from xp cd works till it says starting windows and doesn t get passed that all wont work So i borrowed my roommates laptop who has vista and swapped the hard drives Hard Another Xp Xp Or Or Boot Wont Cd Drive. Laptop the original hard drive boots up just fine on his and his vista wont boot up on mine hangs at scrolling loading screen We both have this laptop http global msi com tw index php f o amp prod no Another thing i should probably mention is i upgraded my ram a few days ago it has been working fine and i tried swapping back to my old ram and it didnt help anything Im thinking it may be the bios but im not sure Laptop Wont Boot Xp Or Xp Cd Or Another Hard Drive. exactly how Laptop Wont Boot Xp Or Xp Cd Or Another Hard Drive. to flash it or if thats what i need to do The bios thing that shows up when i boot is AMI http www ami com support bios cfmA couple other things i got an error message about something to do with the cmos settings being wrong i think the options were enter setup last known good config and i went with I only saw this onceThanks Nick

A:Laptop Wont Boot Xp Or Xp Cd Or Another Hard Drive.

Based on info supplied...I would suggest checking the CMOS settings (for time/date)...and possibly just replacing the CMOS battery.CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/147881/laptop-wont-boot-xp-or-xp-cd-or-another-hard-drive/
Relevancy 49.02%

Basically having the same issue as http www bleepingcomputer com forums topic html I have followed the first steps and ran frst exe on the laptop and need help with creating a fixlist txt Thanks in advance for your help Here is the FRST txt Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool Drive Laptop Boot from Won't Win7 Hard Version - - Ran by SYSTEM at - - Running from G Windows Home Premium X OS Language English US The current controlset is ControlSet Registry Whitelisted HKLM Run Apoint C Program Files DellTPad Apoint exe - - Alps Electric Co Ltd HKLM Run SysTrayApp C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe - - IDT Inc HKLM Run IgfxTray C Windows system igfxtray exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C Windows system hkcmd exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM Run Persistence C Windows system igfxpers exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM Run Broadcom Wireless Manager UI Win7 Laptop Won't Boot from Hard Drive C Program Files Dell Dell Wireless WLAN Card WLTRAY exe - - Dell Inc HKLM Run QuickSet C Program Files Dell QuickSet QuickSet exe - - Dell Inc HKLM Run IAAnotif C Program Files x Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager iaanotif exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM Run dleamon exe quot C Program Files x Dell V -V Series dleamon exe quot - - HKLM Run EzPrint quot C Program Files x Dell V -V Series ezprint exe quot - - HKLM-x Run Dell DataSafe Online quot C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Online DataSafeOnline exe quot m - - HKLM-x Run Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher quot C Program Files x Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrobat sl exe quot - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM-x Run x HKLM-x Run Acrobat Assistant quot C Program Files x Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exe quot - - Adobe Systems Inc HKLM-x Run PDVDDXSrv quot C Program Files x CyberLink PowerDVD DX PDVDDXSrv exe quot - - CyberLink Corp HKLM-x Run Dell Webcam Central quot C Program Files x Dell Webcam Dell Webcam Central WebcamDell exe quot mode - - Creative Technology Ltd HKLM-x Run Desktop Disc Tool quot C Program Files x Roxio Roxio Burn RoxioBurnLauncher exe quot - - HKLM-x Run DellSupportCenter quot C Program Files x Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exe quot P DellSupportCenter - - SupportSoft Inc HKLM-x Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe quot - - Sun Microsystems Inc HKLM-x Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files x QuickTime QTTask exe quot -atboottime - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot C Program Files x Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe quot - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM-x Run Adobe ARM quot C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe quot - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM-x Run mcui exe quot C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe quot runkey - - McAfee Inc HKLM-x Run Absolute Notifier quot C Program Files x Absolute Software Absolute Notifier AbsoluteNotifier exe quot - - Absolute Software HKLM-x Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware quot C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui exe quot starttray - - Malwarebytes Corporation HKU Jason Jason-PC Run Internet Security C Users Jason Jason-PC AppData Roaming isecurity exe x HKLM RunOnce Restore C Windows system rstrui exe RUNONCE - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM-x RunOnce quot C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate DSUpdate exe quot quot C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate DSUpdate exe quot - - Dell HKLM-x RunOnce DSUpdateLauncher quot C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate hstart exe quot NOCONSOLE D quot C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate quot RUNAS quot C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate DSUpd exe quot - - HKLM-x RunOnce STToasterLauncher C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup toasterLauncher exe - - Winlogon Notify GoToAssist C Program Files x Citrix GoToAssist G AWinLogon x dll X Winlogon Notify igfxcui igfx... Read more

A:Win7 Laptop Won't Boot from Hard Drive

Hisorry for the waitplease do the following:HiPlease do the following:Open notepad (Start =>All Programs => Accessories => Notepad). Please copy the entire contents of the code box below. (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right click on it and select copy. Right-click in the open notepad and select Paste). Save it on the flashdrive as fixlist.txt start
SubSystems: [Windows] ==> ZeroAccess
2012-02-20 16:33 - 2009-07-13 17:14 - 0020480 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) C:\Windows\svchost.exe
cmd: bootrec /FixMbr
cmd: bootrec /fixboot

endNOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating systemNow please enter System Recovery Options then select Command PromptRun FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.Now restart, please let me know if you can now boot normally

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/446498/win7-laptop-wont-boot-from-hard-drive/
Relevancy 49.02%

I'm having the same problem but a little diff. I noticed that the support has said to replace the hdd and that is what I have done with a Windows 8.1 drive and I took a step further to test and see if my hdd is really not usable. I placed it in another comupter that was also running Windows 8.1. It worked but my origianl computer still doesn't, it still says "no harddrive detected". What the heck!!!

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Re: My laptop does not boot, it cannot detect the hard drive

think that at this point, the best thing for you to do is call us. It might be that the computer is just shy of a year and is still in warranty. What ever the case, a phone support professional can certainly discuss your options with you.  What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detectStep 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Re-My-laptop-does-not-boot-it-cannot-detect-the-hard-drive/td-p/5757793
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi All

Just got a new dual core Dell XPS with vista x64 - once it's at the login screen and I log in, the had drive goes nuts for almost 10 minutes. Any ideas on what it' doing? I did take a peek at the resource monitor and it's processing all sorts of stuff like all the office documents I've worked on and civilization 4 files and a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with booting up.

Any ideas? TIA.

A:Hard Drive going nuts on New Laptop after boot

Hello Golf007,

Welcome to the forums.

This sounds like the Vista indexing service indexing the files on your HDD. This will take a while, but it should only do so when your not using your computer. More info here. Indexing Options

Gary

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/197662-hard-drive-going-nuts-new-laptop-after-boot.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Computer was running fine but after last Win update it suddenly will not boot.  No message.  Just blank screen.
Hard drive is SSD and no malware detected when running EMSISOFT emergency scan utility.

Starting computer from Hiren's shows the C: drive with all the data.  Suspect a corrupt boot sector from whatever cause. 

Ran bootrec but nothing changed.  bootrec /scanos returned no recognized windows installations
bootred /rebuildbcd failed to find any windows installations so would not rebuild the bcd.

Trying to avoid a clean install, as progs will be lost.

So--am I officially screwed and do I need to do a reinstall?

A:Laptop (Win7) will not boot from hard drive (SSD)

Well, decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Backed up the personal data and did a factory recovery.  End of story.  Would be nice to know what happened, though.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565118/laptop-win7-will-not-boot-from-hard-drive-ssd/
Relevancy 49.02%

I've been in and out of this HP dv7-1245dx Entertainment laptop (Legacy BIOS) a number of times in the past two or three weeks and just now discovered that it has two hard drive bays! Go figure . . .

So, I have Windows 8.1.1 on the drive that came with the laptop and Windows 10 Build 9860 on an SSD drive. When installing Windows 10 I removed the Windows 8.1.1 hard drive and installed the SSD drive. I have returned the Windows 8.1.1 drive to the computer and the Windows 10 drive has been removed.

Am I correct in thinking I can just add the SSD drive and Windows will automatically dual boot? I know this was possible in prior (Win 7 and before) OSes, but don't know if it's possible in Windows 8/10.

Thanks in advance . . .

A:Dual Boot Win 8.1 & Win 10 with 2 Hard Drives in Laptop

To make sure it works you can use EasyBCD and make it do that.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/56120-dual-boot-win-8-1-win-10-2-hard-drives-laptop.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Professional. Since doing so I've had some annoying internet connectivity issues (Windows Sockets entries missing) among other things. So I decided I'd try the recovered features. None of them work for me. I click on them and my mouse icon does the load symbol then nothing happens. Even if I shift click Restart on and try to initiate reset from there nothing happens.

A:'Reset this PC' doesn't work

Hi richardsolomon,

You might consider doing a clean install at this point. A clean installation, over an upgrade, seems to resolve a host of different problems. The only issue might be whether or not your Win-10 has been activated. I'm unclear if you are able to still fully access your system, but if you can get to the 'System' (Start > Ctrl Panel> System), take a look at see if it shows if it's been activated.
Windows 10 - Clean Install

If it's not showing that has been, then you might see if you can find the Win-7 keycode. I'm not sure if this will be needed, and perhaps somebody will post some additional, but you might need to use that for the clean install. (I'm still unclear as to exactly when the keys are needed and when they are not)

b1rd

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/42515-reset-pc-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Bluetooth stopped working on my Fujitsu Esprimo U The bluetooth hardware is was visible in device manager anymore but unrecognized device appeared Driver reinstall did not help Driver installation setup says there is no bluetooth hardware PC Suite is installed worked fine before Eventually laptop stopped booting from hard disk and win or Vista install DVD displaying only laptop from install or dvd boot wont hard win disk starting windows I could access BIOS setup and I can boot only some DOS emergency boot CD allowing me to copy or erase whole disc but I couldn t reinstall OS Laptop was sent to service and had motherboard and bluetooth replaced Came back yesterday had win installed Everything was fine till I installed Nokia Ovi and tried to use Bluetooth laptop wont boot from hard disk or win install dvd Then the same hapenned - first USB unknown device than no boot at all I am desperate - I dont believe this is hardware mobos but I can t access the machine at all If this was software it should boot from Win DVD - but it hangs displaying starting windows And again I can access BIOS setup and I can boot only DOS emergency boot CD I dont t know how to reinstall OS Please help nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

My internal hard disk has been crashed can I use external harddisk drive to boot the laptop or use it as all purpose as we do with internal hard drive?

A:External hard drive used as start up boot for laptop

Hey there Kashyapgm Welcome to the community!  Some OSs can boot from external drives and can even be fully installed on them but not all of them. What External drive do you have? What OS would you like to use?  the USB connection is somewhat unstable so you can't really install all OSs on USB drives. It may be possible on a eSATA drives but again, that depend on the specific OS that you have in mind.  I would simply recommend to replace your failed drive on the laptop and use a new internal one. If you need help with suggestions for new drives or troubleshooting your old drive feel free to ask.  Captain_WD.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/External-hard-drive-used-as-start-up-boot-for-laptop/td-p/5683124
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a HP Pavilion dv laptop that I had installed a new hard drive so then I can reinstall windows But with Pavilion drive HP laptop won't hard new boot 1000 DV when I turn on the HP Pavilion DV 1000 laptop won't boot with new hard drive laptop it will not leave from the the very first screen where it says quot HP Pavilion DV 1000 laptop won't boot with new hard drive HP invent quot where you can choose to go into the bios change boot sequence or boot from LAN HP Pavilion DV 1000 laptop won't boot with new hard drive I would try to get into the bios and it will just stay on quot please wait quot I would choose change boot sequence and it will say and freeze Phoenix NoteBIOS Release Copyright - Phoenix Technologies Ltd All Rights Reserved BIOS version F Build Time CPU Intel R Pentium R M processor GHz M System RAM Passed K Cache SRAM Passed System BIOS shadowed Video BIOS shadowed FIXED Disk WDC WD BEVE- A HT ATAPI CD-ROM TSSTsorpSD DVD ts M Now the wierd part is when I remove the new hard drive and boot it without any hard drive it will pass the post screen and ask me to plug in the ethernet cable Thank you in advance for any adivce nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv-1000-laptop-wont-boot-with-new-hard-drive.171863/
Relevancy 48.16%

I did a hard shutdown when my system was running slow ( ASUS A53sv  64bit  ) and when I went to reboot I was sent to the system repair screen. I cancelled out of repair mode once and then went back to it and let it run. After about 20 hours I received a message that it had finished and I should try rebooting. I wound up back at the system repair screen again. I dl'ed a linux live boot iso ( puppy linux )and was able to mount my partitions and am moving my data to an external drive . 
I would love some assistance in determining if the drive is failing and if it is possible to get this system up and running again.

Thanks!

A:ASUS laptop won't boot to windows after hard shutdown

Well...I have had to run System Repair a couple of times when attempting to correct boot problems (self-inflicted)...so I would try running it again.

As for determining the functional status of the hard drive...you need to visit the website of the hard drive manufacturer and download the diagnostic utility provided for its products.  Following website instructions...then run the long/extended diagnostic on the drive.

Hard shutdowns...may damage system files, preventing proper booting of the system.  One of the attempted cures after a hard shutdown of any type...is to run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.

Chkdsk /r, Windows 7 , Note that...when presented the options...put check marks in both boxes (Scan For and Automatically Fix), rather than just Automatically Fix.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/505732/asus-laptop-wont-boot-to-windows-after-hard-shutdown/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi my teenage son s Toshiba Satellite Laptop L -S won t boot from hard drive On powering up displays Toshiba logo and allows F to SETUP or F to Boot Menu Does not allow F to Safe Mode Without action screen then goes to black with cursor in Drive Won't Toshiba Hard Boot Satellite Laptop from upper left corner Have tried the following Made Windows repair sik from other computer Will boot from repair disk Repair routine does not find problems Tried to restore to previous good Toshiba Satellite Laptop Won't Boot from Hard Drive restore point - spends much time copying files hard drive seems to be working but still will not reboot Removed hard drive and used EZ-CONNECT to put on USB port on other computer Can see and copy files on hard drive Ran virus scan on hard drive using MALWAREBYTES Found some minor viruses and repaired Reinstalled hard drive tried booting into HDD Recovery mode by powering on while pressing quot quot Displayed quot HDD RECOVERY MODE quot at bottom left of screen but did not do anything Tried the quot remove battery disconnect AC power press power button for seconds quot trick No success So now what The hard drive seems to be okay but it s certainly not booting from there The motherboard seems to be okay since it boots from a repair disk I don t know what to try next Thanks in advance for your help

A:Toshiba Satellite Laptop Won't Boot from Hard Drive

Forgot one other thing I did - while I had the hard drive hooked up to another computer via EZ_CONNECT, I ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r on it. Both completed normally with no errors.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/419425/toshiba-satellite-laptop-wont-boot-from-hard-drive/
Relevancy 48.16%

We're having a problem with my son's computer hard laptop due drive. won't Toshiba to full boot that we haven't been able to solve or find an online solution He has a Toshiba Satellite L Toshiba laptop won't boot due to full hard drive. with a GB hard drive He was using it to play xBox live using the ethernet connection and after some time he noticed the computer screen was blank with a movable cursor He turned off the computer hoping that the problem would resolve itself when rebooted He shut it down with the power button but when he powered it back on it went to the Windows Error Recovery screen He launched Startup Repair but that resulted in a black screen with the mouse cursor Starting Windows normally brought him back to the Windows Error Recovery Screen after sitting on the quot Starting Windows quot screen for a minute or so Using a Windows install disk to attempt a repair install only brings up the same black screen with the mouse cursor Booting from a Linux thumb drive gives quot error mounting quot message when trying to access the hard drive and says quot a file system wasn't safely closed on Windows quot We've followed the quot Troubleshooting Windows Failure to Start quot guide on this forum and nothing has worked to load or repair Windows until Step Partition Wizard boots and shows the hard drive with partitions A screen image is attached His main partition is full but we can see all of his files when we explore that partition We were able to copy the two smaller partitions to an external hard drive but get an quot out of memory quot error when trying to copy the GB main partition Obviously the full hard drive is a problem and we wonder if the computer may have gone into hibernation and is an additional complication to accessing the hard drive We've thought that if we could delete some files on the hard drive maybe Windows would boot but we can't access the drive to delete them At this point with a full hard drive and seemingly no way to back up his files we're looking for help before trying to make changes to the drive which might further put his data in jeopardy As you may have guessed he has no backup of his important files so we want to make sure we are doing the right thing before we proceed Thanks

A:Toshiba laptop won't boot due to full hard drive.

I would run a chckdsk /f with an installation DVD. You can also pull off stuff from the full drive with a live Linux CD or use that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357986-toshiba-laptop-wont-boot-due-full-hard-drive.html