Windows Support Forum

Pavilion elite power supply light on, won't power up

Q: Pavilion elite power supply light on, won't power up

I shut down my Pavilion Elite for 1 week while away and now it will not turn on. The power supply light is on, I replaced the CMOS battery and the power switch is ok.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Pavilion elite power supply light on, won't power up

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Pavilion elite power supply light on, won't power up

As you did not mention any message or display on the screen, I would use this tutorial for a step by step diagnostic. It also helps to remove the side panel, and visually watch the CPU and rear case fan movement(s). As you press the power button, pay attention to the fans. Also does the Power Supply LED stay ON? Or did it go OUT when you pressed the power button?
Relevancy 91.45%

Thanks for your recommendation. I bought cx600. I will let you know the results after I replace PSU with it.  Could you recommend what I need to replace for upgrading my pc? Should I change the motherboard, the graphic card ?Please let me know.  

A:Re: HP pavilion elite m9500y power supply

Best to forget a motherboard change, as you;d have to purchase a "new" WIN OS.  Your Vista OS would be invalid. For a graphic card I would stick with the EVGA GTX 670, a true legacy graphic card.  Your new PSU will work with it.
Relevancy 91.45%

Hi nbsp I have a HP HP power supply m9500y elite pavilion pavilion elite m HP pavilion elite m9500y power supply y below is the link for the specification http h www hp com hpsc doc public display docId c Suddenlty it won't start with black screen nbsp After turning of the power I can hear no sound from the computer My keyboard doesn't work So I cannot access any to my pc I have checked memory cards and replaced the battery for mother board nbsp Nothing has happened nbsp So I am guessing that power supply is the problem I am wondering what PSU I should buy It requres W psu nbsp I am not sure it is okay to replace with higher W psu such as W or W nbsp So nbsp here are my questions what is the problem of my computer If the PSU is the problem should I replace with W psu or higher W for the future If I want up grade my pc in the future what would be the best options nbsp I am looking forward to hearing your advices nbsp

A:HP pavilion elite m9500y power supply

Here is the standard help file for PSU's. I'd also suggest re-seating the RAM modules. Let's check these before you leap into another PSU.
Relevancy 84.94%

hi guys as per one of my friend I could replace my memory RAM up to GB so I ve ordered Power Light Motherboard/Power 8300 AMBER Green XPS - Supply - Light a couple sticks of Kingston HyperX nbsp so I ve took slot and replaced GB Hynix RAM by GB HyperX Now I have a good old CPU that doesnt work plus it smell like burnt plastic with no apparent damage to XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light the board or RAM nbsp Startup x BEEP No BIOS Motherboard Light Solid AmberBootup Light Flashing AmberPower Supply Light Solid Green I ve tried booting from nbsp a single RAM unit on slot one then slot two and nothing has changed anyone can help Motherboard Y MRGhttp www findlaptopdriver XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light com specs- y mrg-dell Processor i Primary SSD Kingston HyperX Savage added Secondary Seagate TB TB added Barracuda New RAM nbsp ts HX C FK http www kingston com dataSheets HX C FK pdfOld RAM nbsp HMT U CFR C-H https www amazon com PC - - MHz-Hynix-HMT U CFR C-H -Unbuffered dp B BTRAS
Relevancy 110.94%

I picked up this Alienware 5700 off ebay to hopefully refurbish for my son but I'm new at this and still learning and so this thing has me baffled. The laptop is in pristine condition but shows no signs of life. When I plug in the power supply the green light on the power supply goes from solid green to blinking rapidly to the point you can barely see it. To me that would mean a short somewhere right ? If so where ? Has anyone else ever had experience with something like this ? I just don't want to go buying a new battery for a laptop that maybe fried already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:No power, no lights but green light on power supply blinks rapidly

Remove the laptops battery and try the AC power only. If the green light does the same, it still could only be a bad AC adapter, or at worst, a shorted laptop motherboard
Relevancy 110.51%

I have a Sony VGC-RB42G computer. I recently moved my computer, cleaned off all the dust, and when I plugged everything back in, it won't power up. The light on the power supply blinks green, inside the motherboard also has a green light that blinks as well. It has a ticking sound too, but I am not sure if it is coming from the power supply or the motherboard. Any idea what could be wrong.

FYI, I have already unplugged everything from the power supply, pulled out the ram, checked the battery, and put everything back together and still no change. One thing I thought was strange was after I unplugged everything, I pulled the power into the power supply again and this time the green light came on but did not blink. It stayed solid.

A:No Power, Blinking green light on power supply and motherboard

Sounds like a Power Supply problem.
Relevancy 107.07%

So I hooked my pc up after I took it w/ me to work becuase I though I was going to a lan tonight. But when I came home and plugged it back. I noticed the power supply box light was blinking. And it wont turn on. No power or what so ever. I need help BADLY

A:Power Supply Light Blinking. No Power :(!

Have you opened case to make sure all connections are secure? Something may have come loose while you were transporting it. Give us more info about your computer (e.g. make and model, cpu, ram, name of psu, etc.)
Relevancy 101.91%

I'm trying to upgrade the psu to accommodate a Saphhire radeon r9 270x. It requires more than 320w.I cant get a new one because its some weird connections from the PSU to the mother card that ''normal'' PSU doest have.How can i use my new gpu without buying a new motherboard?

A:Upgrade power supply for hp elite 8200 cmt

It would seem that you are not alone.  Take a look at THIS thread for a possible solution.  The FSP SLI and CrossFire Upgrade 450 Watt ATX Power Supply BOOSTER X5 seems to be out of production, however.
Relevancy 101.91%

Product number: BL289US
I need to know if the power supply can be upgrade to a unit that has a six pin connector to run a gtc 750 ti 2b video card
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi all.I'm Ben. I have a hp pavilion elite m9402 PC. One morning i saw that the cd/dvd drawer is open. No Power. The green light is on in back,but no power anywhere. I did a power deplete process by unplugging from the back of the pc. Opened the side up. Unplugged the yellow and black from the board. and waited 48 hours. Plugged it all back in....nothing. i have several power cords and have tried them all.My computer friend said it was holding a charge,and that's how he got it working last time. Before this happened. After shutting the computer down correctly.I was shutting down the entire desk at night by clicking off the power strip/surge protector,then It was taking a long time to power up,after turning the desk on in the morning. I have my pics backed up. But not vital info.(DOPE) ANY SUGGESTIONS??

A:HP Pavilion Elite desk top won't power up

Hi Ben, welcome to the forums, it does sound like a PSU (power supply problem) you can test this with a multimeter if you have one OR take it to your local computer shop. HP recommend a min 400w PSU, however for that model you also need the power supply to have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater. Make sure you get a unit that fits this bill.
Relevancy 98.47%

I have 5 HP Elite 8300 ultra slim's that all have the same error,  as soom as the power button is pressed it beeps 4 times and flashes red 4 times.Any help?

A:Hp Elite 8300 Ultra-Slim 4 beep error, power supply?

hello there, look like your power supply is bad, check the cables inside you desktop if all are connected from the power supply, if it the same, replace your power supply, you can check this:  

Capture.PNG ?71 KB
Relevancy 97.18%

I'm trying to help a friend with an HP PC that is fairly new - runs Win XP but don't know any other spec details.

The power supply's green light is on - but pressing the ON button does nothing... no noise, no fan no nothing. Is it that the power supply has gone out - even though the green light is on? Or is it the motherboard?

I could put in a new power supply for her but I hate to buy one then find out it's the motherboard.

All help is appreciated.

Relevancy 96.32%

I have 2 neon lights (red and blue) but cvan only fit the blue one in at the bottom. I found a place at the top of the tower which is about 3 cm away from the power supply and I asked one of my friends should I put it there and he said yes no probs but then another frind said that it most likely will damage the power supply.

btw the neon is a cold cathode red.

Can I put the neon there?

A:Can I place a neon light near the power supply?

theres no way you can damage your PSU, even a direct short most if not all PSU's are thermally protected, and for short circuits
Relevancy 96.32%

All in one won't start. power supply light is green but when conected to computer it goes off or start blinking very dim. comp won't start or make any noise. I brought a new original power supply and the same situation.
Relevancy 96.32%

I am working on a frends desktop that recently might have been hit by lightning. After a big storm their desktop would no longer power on. Now, I am no stranger to computers. I unplugged the motherboard main connector and I get a solid green light when I plug the psu in. Plug the main connector back in and plug the psu in I get blinking light again. So either its the PSU or mainboard. Im thinking psu since usually that is what goes first, but at the same time I am leaning towards mainboard. what do you all think? On another note, Are these boards proprietary? I have a few standard ATX PSUs I could test my theory with but not if I have to rewire them.
Relevancy 96.32%

System was working fine. Just took it out and dusted out the guts - buttoned it back up and now it does that pulsing light, fan thing. Already tried reseating the connectors and boards - checked open sockets to see if some dust got in them - redusted - still same problem. No boot, no nothing... just pulsing light and fan. bTw... light on motherboard flickers. Never saw that before. Thanks in advance for your help.
Relevancy 95.46%

I can t get my computer to boot at all not into CMOS not anything It doesn t power up And the green LED light that comes with the power supply is constantly flashing This has happened before normally when I wait a while before trying to boot I can get the fan inside the power supply to spin just a little bit The last time it happened I fixed it by taking out one of the memory sticks I have no other power supply to test so I don t know whether it s a problem supply won't Computer start, light power flashing. with the motherboard or the power supply However I notice that when the -count connector pin isn t connected to the motherboard the light doesn t flash it just stays lit green When I plug it in it starts flashing again Maybe it s the motherboard maybe the pins are bad I m not sure what that suggests Is there anything I Computer won't start, power supply light flashing. can do to diagnose this clearer nbsp

Relevancy 95.46%

Hello, I the power supply light of my Media Center m1050y is blinking and the PC does not turn on at all. So I tried the troubleshooting sequence posted here in the HP Support site, and after unplugging all the cables and replugging them one by one, it turns out that the light blinks only when the PS is connected to the mother board (the connection is a white, wide plug with about 12 pins - pardon my ignorance on the actual name). I looked on the internet about trying to narrow the cause on the motherboard and I unplugged the front USB ports, the fan, and other "solutions" without any luck. Does this mean the motherboard is fried and either I need to replace the motherboard or look for another PC? Thanks!

A:Power Supply Light Blinking When Plugged to Motherboard Only

What troubleshooting sequences did you try......was it this.   Suggestion: get a hair dryer, and use it at the rear vent. See if the light stops flashing. Read about the hair dryer tip here.
Relevancy 95.46%

My mom gave me a Dell Dimension 4700 computer that was acting up. She said it would turn it's self off randomly and she thought it was a virus. When I brought the computer to my place, it powered on once, then I went to turn it on again and nothing. No lights, no power what so ever. So after doing some research I bought a new power supply for it. I just replaced the power supply and plugged the computer in and now there is a blinking amber light in the front and a solid green light on the motherboard but it won't turn on. I have checked all of the connections and they are properly seated. Any ideas what is causing the problem?
Relevancy 95.46%

HELP power supply light comes on on the laptop when plugged in then when i boot my Laptop up it charges for about a minute then light goes off can you help please I left it plugged in last night and light was still on this morning switched laptop on and it was charging then stopped shut laptop down and nothing no light tried wiggling wires and stuff then comes off Solved: the in laptop) when plugged power light goes on(on supply like that then left it alone for a bit went back to it light flashed on a few times then it came on switched laptop on and it showed charging then light went off and it showed not charging Did this about three times tried it again later light came on full no flashing first was on for half hour or so switched laptop on and it showed charging then light went off and it showed not charging because of the flashing then full light i am thinking it is the power supply lead and powerpack please tell me that is probably the case Yours desperately Kingy nbsp

A:Solved: power supply light comes on(on the laptop) when plugged in then goes off
Relevancy 95.03%

Can anyone tell me what's going on with my monitor?
I have an HP Pavilion M70 monitor.
My power light keeps flashing and there's a clicking
sound (sounds like a relay clicking). Pressing the power
button or any other button does nothing.

A:Power light on HP Pavilion M70 keeps flashing

Sounds like a power supply shutdown. It happens when there is a major component failure which causes the power supply to keep resetting and trying again (the "clicking" you hear)

Needs servicing or scrapping.
Monitors are usually not often worth fixing these days, unless it is very minor (and that does not sound minor)
Relevancy 95.03%

Hey guys!

Busy week for me here!

I wanted a second opinion on this. HP Pavilion G6 notebook, no power. When the battery is in I get three lights on the power LED when pressing the power button. With or without the AC plugged in. WITHOUT the battery, however, I get nothing- no lights.

There's only a single 4GB RAM stick so I don't have an extra to test.

I pulled the hard drive and it is fine.

Is it the RAM or possibly the motherboard? I don't want to order the wrong thing.

What are your thoughts?

Relevancy 95.03%

The power light flickers on sometimes when plugged in, but never stays on.

Relevancy 94.6%

I recently replaced a power supply for a family member. She has an HP Pavilion. Anyways, her original PS has a cable that has 2 black and 1 blue wire and connects into the motherboard with a 3 pin connector that says Fan C on it. The new one that I got out of another Pavilion does not have that cable. Does anyone know exactly what that cable is for, and if it's dentrimental to have? The PC works fine now with the new PS. Just curious.

A:HP Pavilion power supply

Fan C (3 pin connector) just sounds like an extra fan connector where you could connect another fan to the computer if you wanted to. This isn't crucial or anything but depending on the model of the PSU she previously had and Computer she has like whatever year it might be, if it an older model HP then that might just be an older feature with the PSU's on the old HP's
Relevancy 94.6%

I have a HP Pavilion 6545C with a 100w ATX100-5 power supply that has died
I would like to upgrade this to a 200w or higher. Is this possible? If so, where would I find one?

Relevancy 94.6%

Hi, This is my first post, I have an HP pavilion ZD 8157ea power supply problem.

I use my laptop for stage work/ multimedia ie music through power amplifiers, when I use laptop without the mains power supply, everything is great. When I plug in the power supply I get a high frequency electronic noise not loud but very annoying.

I am led to believe that this is a common problem with the new style power supplies as they are not suppressed, my question is what can I do about the problem, is there a solution, where can I get a suitable power supply that will not cause this problem.

Thanks for any assistance

A:HP Pavilion power supply

I assume that by "power supply" you mean the AC adapter in the middle of the power cord..

You can buy/try any AC adapter that supplies a voltage near the HP original and enough current. As for whether product X induces this noise or not.. No one can know. It doesn't even have to be the PSU itself, but some circuitry inside the laptop that does this.
Relevancy 94.6%

My ALL IN ONE will not start and a tech said that it was the power supply on the mother board and it would cost about $350 to fix. I am not technical but that seems excessive. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to fix the problem?

It's a Model #MS213 P#645AA #ABA

depends on what they mean - the power supply is converted by the adapter on most all-in-1
BUT if its a faulty motherboard - then I would expect that could be quite expensive part to replace - and then of course you have the Tech Labour to add on

Has the Tech got the PC ?
How old is the All-in-1
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi, I have an 15 year old Pavilion 743 I bought on employee purchase. I've long since retired, but power supply has just failed, and ashamedly have to admit no backup for months. Local PC repair shop can't source power supply. It isATX-1956F. (Bestec). Can't find it on part suppliers referred to by links. Only one recognises part number, and it is zero stock. So I am googling and coming up with power supplies. However, I'm wondering if the part number I mentioned above is enough to get the right power supply. The repair shop said they couldn't find the right dimensions. I have seen some conflicting information on dimensions when I search. Can you help with this by any further information on the part number needed and the dimensions, either imperial or metric. Thank you, Fred
Relevancy 94.6%

can someone recommend a power supply that will fit in my hp pavilion pc? it is a real small one and i am having trouble finding one to fit. when i get time i will measure the one inside it and let you all know the dimensions.

Relevancy 94.17%

My sister-in-law has an eMachine that she turned off and unplugged before leaving for vacation A week later she returned and plugged it back in only to find it won t turn on I don t know much about this pc other than it s a tower and about or so years old I figured it was probably the PSU power supply but wanted to verify as many things as possible Basically there is a green light on the back of the pc on the PSU that will flashes on and off when you try to turn on the computer The PSU fan doesn t spin and nothing else makes any turn eMachine won't flashing, green power on light (PSU) supply attempt to turn just dead I pulled all the power connectors and jumpered the power switch pins - this gave me a eMachine power supply (PSU) green light flashing, won't turn on solid green light on the PSU and the fan spun normally I tested with a voltmeter and got the proper voltage on all the pins I am thinking that this probably rules out the PSU but not as something could be pulling it eMachine power supply (PSU) green light flashing, won't turn on down Any ideas on what else to look at I hate to eMachine power supply (PSU) green light flashing, won't turn on buy a PSU when it appears this one is ok That pretty much leaves the MoBo and or CPU I ve pulled all the cards and memory trying to get it to do anything and nothing affects it I suspect there is something wrong with the MoBo but don t know how to verify that Any help or advice is appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:eMachine power supply (PSU) green light flashing, won't turn on

What you need is a PSU Tester which you can get on eBay that will tell you if the power supply is bad.
Relevancy 94.17%

I have a Compaq Presario Windows Vista Basic around gigs of RAM I recently rearranged my room and when I went to go plug everything back in for my computer the power supply light started to flicker when it was fine the day before I don t remember this ever happening before it s still green it just flickers rapidly and I can hear it I thought it was a temporary thing but my power button is completely unresponsive and it will not won't Solved: turn light flickering, computer Power Supply on turn on I have had my power supply replaced twice prior and I fear I may have accidentally surged my power supply when I plugged it back in I would like to know if this is the only Solved: Power Supply light flickering, computer won't turn on cause I have tried different outlets and even checked to make sure that I didn t mix up my power supply cable with my monitor or printer but the results are the same Even when I unplug any power source the light flickers and gradually dies as Solved: Power Supply light flickering, computer won't turn on compared to going out immediately The last time I replaced my power supply was around October of due a faulty fan The time before was October when the power supply just shorted out This time I am completely confused since it was working the day prior and wonder if my moving it would have caused something It seems so unlikely but due to my bad history with power supplies I am prone to assume it is the same problem But if anyone has any other suggestions please help Thank you Solved: Power Supply light flickering, computer won't turn on for your time nbsp

A:Solved: Power Supply light flickering, computer won't turn on

Since you moved the computer I would open the case and make sure all the powersupply connections to the mobo and peripherals are tight.
Relevancy 94.17%

Hello nbsp I'm trying to figure out if the power supply on my hp is bad or not The green light on back of the tower is flashing and the computer won't turn on I've tried all of the preliminary no my flashing power light pavilion hp on is and green things and nothing works -- the green light keeps blinking until I disconnect the large plug to the motherboard then the light stays on and doesn't blink Once I have the power cord disconnected and the main plug to the motherboard disconnected as well I then have tried replugging the power cord and then replugging nbsp the main plug to the motherboard kind of trying to jump start it the fan tries to come one but only for a second no power and green light on my hp pavilion is flashing then goes back off so it won't boot Does anyone know if this means that the power supply is bad or if something else might be wrong I'm wondering if the power supply would be bad when the computer is clearly trying to start but not quite making it Solved View Solution

A:no power and green light on my hp pavilion is flashing

If the PSU blinks it needs to be reset.unplug the electrical cable from the wall and the PSU.move the red voltage selector to the opposite position it is in and then slide it back. If you live in the USA 120Vac-->220Vac-->120Vac see the image below.  After you have done this you can plug the power cable back into the PSU.  Connect the power cable to the wall power. If the PSU is still serviceable it will no longer be blinking. Best regards,erico Edited to fix the broken image link.
Relevancy 94.17%

The laptop has been fine for years then all of a sudden it would not charge.The light next to the power lead connector blinks red then white when the battery is attached. when the battery is removed the white light blinks. Ive tried a hard power up option but the laptop Will not power up even with the power cord connected and no battery attached.suspect it's the power cord but would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem.the battery is a Hp replacement about a year old.thanks
Relevancy 93.74%

i got a pavilion DV6700 Notebook and its about hmm... 8-9 weeks old... and the power supply already has a poor connection from me using the laptop so much, it stops charging 1/2 the time, and sometimes you have to turn the plug left or right to get it in the right spot its a pain, i was wondering if theres anything i can do as far as self repairs, or getting a better replacement, maby i shoulda got a better computer cuz this really sucks my friend just bought a POS 600$ toshiba i think it was & its power supply is bulky secure and will probably never have a problem it appears... if anyone can help me out here i apprecaite it

A:Pavilion Notebook power supply :(

8~9 weeks old?? Return it for warranty.
BTW I think what you are referring to is the pw connector NOT the pw supply which is internal.
Relevancy 93.74%

Hello everyone

I have an HP Pavilion a6130n and seriously need to upgrade the video card, but to use the one I want I need to up grade the pw from 300 to at 400 or even 450W. Problem is I can't just go in an buy one, because of the case size etc, does anyone know a place to get them so they fit the case properly?

A:power supply for HP Pavilion a6130n

hrm. does it use a normal atx psu? think it shld. doesnt look like those slimline versions.
Relevancy 93.74%

Doing tech support for my mom. She's got a Pavilion A4313W which has a failing power supply in it. Is that a specific power supply, or can a generic one work in that system? If it's specific, can someone give me the part number for it?
Relevancy 93.74%

I have a HP Pavilion 720a PC with a dying power supply. (It's a P4 1.6GHz on an Asus mobo)

HP have quoted nearly $300 for a replacement. (frack off, no way!!!!!)

So obviously I wanna use a generic off the shelf supply.

Will the motherboard 20 pin ATX pinout be industry standard or some HP proprietary design?

A:Solved: HP Pavilion Power supply

HP use industryu standard motherboards, but their own BIOS versions.
They do not use non-standard connections on the standard motherboards.

But they often use non-standard size power supplies, measure the physical size and check before you buy.
Relevancy 93.31%

We got on blinking/clicking, light Solved: won't Power supply turn computer a Compaq Presario S NX from a friend who had upgraded to another computer and we can t get it to work It ran fine before he brought it to us Solved: Power supply light blinking/clicking, computer won't turn on however once we got it here and tried to power it up it wouldn t start at all On the power supply in the back the green light blinks and clicks rapidly when the cord is plugged in and pressing the power button does nothing at all Interestingly a few minutes ago I took it out of storage we got the computer months ago and gave up when we couldn t get it running plugged Solved: Power supply light blinking/clicking, computer won't turn on it in by itself and it powered up just fine the fan turned on and Solved: Power supply light blinking/clicking, computer won't turn on everything So I opened it up and cleaned out some of the dust I didn t have it plugged into a monitor or anything I just wanted to see if it was still doing the same thing it had months ago and lo and behold when I tried to turn it on again with everything plugged in I got the blinking clicking green light and no power up What could be the problem here I know the whole thing isn t totally shot because it DID power up just fine a few minutes ago But now we re back to the blinking clicking light instead of the steady green glow that usually happens when the power supply cord is plugged in It leads me to believe that something s loose but I don t dare mess with the power supply box unless I know what I m doing Another question is if the power supply isn t fixable would it be possible to replace it with the power supply from my working Compaq Presario nbsp

A:Solved: Power supply light blinking/clicking, computer won't turn on
Relevancy 93.31%

I have to 2 Dell Precision T3600 computers that only power on after the second try.
If you press the power button first time: the power button get's a amber light & 1 3 4 diagnostic get a flickering amber light. 
If you turn the computer off and press the power button again it will turn on and work as normal.
I have been able to diagnose that the PSU is the problem.
I would like to know if I can continue to use these desktops in their current state? Are there any potential consequences / risks involved?
Also can the PSU can be repaired? If so how?

Thank you in advance.

A:Dell Precision T3600 Power Supply (PSU) amber light issue

Manual indicates it may be PSU cable related:

1- Blink 2- Off 3- Blink 4- Blink

PSU Cable Failure
All PSU cables may not be properly connected to system board. (PS_ON asserted, missing a main power rail)

Did you try to reseat the motherboard's PSU cable(s)?
Relevancy 92.88%

Power light goes from white to orange than gets really faint won't turn on bought new charger no difference it seems if I leave it alone for awhile the light gets stronger for a bet but won't power up please help need to use ASAP
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi,  I am new to this form of communication and problem solving. My computer, Pavilion slimline S5306uk had developed an irritating problem - the Blue "power on" light and the Amber "computer asleep" lights do not work. The computer operates normally. The problem is more of an irritant as I cannot tell if the unit is "on" or "asleep". Any and all suggestions of how to solve this problem gratfully recieved
Relevancy 92.88%

I am having an issue with my G7-1075dx. Power light comes on, amber light of WiFi glows, fan starts up and runs, and that's it: Blank screen and no further boot. I've done all the 'hard boot' and hardware investigations that I can think of: replacing hard drive, removing and resetting RAM modules, etc. No help. I have seen possible solutions listed for a device running Windows 7. My laptop runs Windows 8. Has there been any solutions given for this problem? I see by perusing the internet that this is not entirely uncommon, and up to this point this has been a great computer to work with. Help!!!

Are there any beeping sounds? Ram cards are correctly inserted?

I hope this helps!If you feel that I helped you, give me a thumbs up button and hit the "accept as answer" button so others can find the answer as well .
Relevancy 92.45%

Hello; Issues with start up after confirmation of Hardrive working fine wen used in another unit and even the green light is on-on the back of unit when turned on-just does not power on after button release. Was advised to purchase a new PowerSupply. Can anyone recommend the proper supply unit for the HP Pavilion 500-000t CTO Desktop unit? Thanks!! John
Relevancy 92.45%

Hello, I have a hp pavilion 500-415no pc and i am willing to change my power supply, because 180 w is not enough for me.It says i have an 180 W external power adapter (100V-240V).  Does this mean i need to get a new adapter or a power supply?Is it even changeable? Thank you!
Relevancy 92.45%

Hello I tried to install a power supply with my dell now light. to now supply amber e521 getting card+power video tried an Dell install I get a steady amber light after I Dell e521 tried to install video card+power supply now getting an amber light. removed the power supply since it had showed me an amber light With the old power supply I still get the steady amber light I noticed that on the LED in the back I got a yellowish amber colored light as well With the new power supply it didn t have the exact four pin layout of my old one but had an eight pin layout that was seperated so that I could ease a four pin in with my computer Did this blow out the motherboard The major thing I did was remove the heatsink which had pins connected to it when I tried to install this video card but I noticed that some of the pins bent out of shape so I got a new heatsink only this time the heatsink I recieved has no pins I installed the heatsink and tried to boot the pc but it won t boot only the fan spins and none of the indicator lights in the front turn on Is the motherboard or processor dead Thanks nbsp

A:Dell e521 tried to install video card+power supply now getting an amber light.
Relevancy 92.45%

I just recently Inhearted a computer from school after my IT teacher couldn t get it to run Both my IT teacher and I thought for sure it was the Computer boot mother board will shows on Power light green supply not led up, power supply or the Computer will not boot up, Power supply shows green led light on mother board power switch The Problem is that the computer dosn t do anything at all when you press the power button My teacher told me that when he first started having the problem he would press the power button and maybe Once out of every fifty times it might boot up then the problem got worse and only started like every th time now it dosn t work at all The system is a Used MDG with a GHZ cpu and mostly all stock parts The system came with a stock watt PSU When I first took it apart I pulled out the power supply completely and tried to put in another one that I had laying around however it had the wrong connector so I just put the old one back in when I put the PSU back in it seemed to have power as I could hear the electricty following thorugh it and a green Led light would light up on the mother board however if I pushed the power button it would still do nothing the CPU fan wouldn t even turn The only time I actually notice the CPU Fan do a quick turn is if I disconect the power from the PSU for a long period of time then reconnect it So I went to the local computer store tonight with the switch and the man tested for me and it did end of being a faulty switch so I purchased I brand new I then put it into the computer and still nothing and believe me I tired many different configurations on the front panel hookup on motherboard so that only led me to think that it might be a CPU so I replaced the old GHZ cpu with another GHZ I had and still nothing Is it still possible that this could be a PSU problem I mean it still lights up the green led light on the motherboard but then again this is not alot of power so I m officially stumped I m basicly open to any sugestions at this point and hoping that this isn t a motherboard issue if it was wouldn t it still power up just blink error lights or beeps or somthing I would really really appretiate any help that you guy s could offer me thanks alot nbsp

A:Computer will not boot up, Power supply shows green led light on mother board

computer won't boot

I think youve got a bad psu. I've had a similiar problemand replaced the psu. Check the voltage outputs and if not in range replace it. twildet
Relevancy 92.02%

My neighboor has a Pavilion P6710f that won't turn on. The green light on the power supply is steady. My Dell Inspiron had the same problem a few months ago and after replacing the power supply it works fine.  how can I tell if the power supply in this Hp needs to be replaced?
Relevancy 90.73%

After disconnecting and reconnecting my HP Pavilion T desktop to the mains it refuses to start The PSU makes a ticks Power / back HP LED Pavilion: the flashes; on boot no Supply ticking clicking noise and the LED on the back flashes blinks A HP Pavilion: Power Supply ticks / LED on the back flashes; no boot few months back after returning from vacation I had the exact same issue but it worked after a few tries I worked through the HP Power Supply troubleshooting doc and talked to an online help employee The PSU fails to work as soon as I plug in the pin ATX-connector in the motherboard both with and without all PCI AGP cards and memory modules If I hardwire ATX pin to a ground pin the HD and CD DVD s spin up After all these test I m still not sure what the problem is The PSU or the motherboard The machine still falls under warranty but if it is the PSU I ll replace it myself with a higher quality higher wattage model currently is a Bestec W ATX If it is the motherboard I ll use the warranty aren t any shops here which sell microATX socket SATA Firewire boards anyway Anyone got a clue what the issue is here I ve googled arround found similiar problems but never definate answers as to what is the problem nbsp

A:HP Pavilion: Power Supply ticks / LED on the back flashes; no boot

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

As far as I can tell, that sounds more like a mobo problem than a psu problem. In any case, as you system is still under warranty, I suggest you let HP take care of it.

Let us know the outcome please.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
Relevancy 86.86%

Toshiba Satellite A25-S2792 w/ XP & P4 has greenpower chord is lit and yellow battery light is flashing when power chord is plugged in. After I press the power button, the power chord light changes to yellow, begins flashing and the battery light goes out. Removing the battery gives the same results. Pressing and holding power button down for 20 seconds w/ battery out yields same result as well. Suggestions?

A:A25-S2792 doesn't power up yellow light flashes after pressing power button

The motherboard is bad. Have you tried reseating the memory?
Relevancy 86.86%

My Dell Inspiron 1545 has been sitting for a while, and when I went to plug it it and try to use it, it would not turn on. All I got is a pulsing power light like when it's in sleep.
I recently replaced the battery as well as the charger, because the original battery was shot and the charger was in horrible shape. I also replaced the power jack a while back because the pins inside were bent and the laptop got no power.
I had successfully used the laptop for a while after replacing these parts, but now it won't turn on. Whether I'm on battery, AC power, or both, it only flashes/pulses when I press the power button. If I hold the power button, it will shut off.
What's wrong here? I have checked and re-seated both memory modules, also testing both slots and nothing changed.

A:Inspiron 1545 Won't Power On, Pulsing Power Light Like When In Sleep Mode

Thank you for the update.
Well, when you power on the system, if you hear the fan spinning and the HDD turning on, connect an external monitor and check if there is any display.
Reseat the cmos battery and check when possible. Since the system draws power from the adapter, at this point, I would not suspect the adapter. Also, remove the memory modules and disconnect the HDD and check if the system comes on and beeps - indicating a missing HDD / memory.
As advised in my previous post, if nothing works and the indications do not change, I would suspect the motherboard.
Let us know if you have any other queries.
Relevancy 86.86%

My nbsp Inspiron R N5110 blinking power and on, power Will 15R white not light gear - Inspiron N won t come on I ve tried both battery and different ac adapters I ve removed the battery unplugged it and held the power button for seconds to discharge the system but it still won t come on I took the laptop apart and everything looks alright but the DC jack was slightly brown on top so I replaced the DC jack board It still won t work I made sure the connections are tight the DC jack and other USB board by screwing them down The only thing that happens that shows any life is when the battery is in The power button power indicator light in front and the little quot gears quot light blink white for just a moment then off about every seconds Inspiron 15R N5110 - Will not power on, blinking white power and gear light Any ideas If I have to replace the motherboard what is the difference between nbsp G RW and VVN W I m not worried about the product key Inspiron 15R N5110 - Will not power on, blinking white power and gear light not validating - may even put Windows on it Thanks

A:Inspiron 15R N5110 - Will not power on, blinking white power and gear light

Hi brockalee,
Both the Motherboards 0G8RW1 and 0VVN1W are compatible with this model and there is no difference. 07GC4R is also compatible with this model.
Relevancy 86.43%

i have tried to power it up with power ac plugged in and without. on/off power button flashes white.
battery is inside "sealed" and may be difficult to access.
ran fine yesterday, shut down with 20% battery life.

if the ac plug is unplugged then i can get the led to turn off but once pushed, it ony flashes. no results

warranty is expired.
unit manufactured april 23 2015

i currently have it plugged in but no flashing light as i have not pushed the power button. im hoping that it will take a charge or correct itself with time.

what do you suggest? thank you

A:i have a lenovo edge 15 model80k9. led power light is blinking but computer will not repond. no power up . the battery is "s

Try the following...

1. Take out (or take it off) the charger.
2. Next take out the battery
3. Now hold down power button for 20 seconds and then rinsert battery.
4. Now put it on the charger again

NOTE: Make sure charger is plugged into the main power supply (not an extension cord, surge protector, etc.)

Sometimes, when the device is not plugged in directly, it doesn't get the power it needs. Holding the power button, while you restart it, clears out the temporary ram (no it won't delete anything you have saved) and will give the device access to the ram it needs.
Relevancy 86.43%

Power light adjacent to power cord blinks white but laptop does not turn on! What is the solution to get my laptop to turn on?

A:Powerbook 450 G1 - Power light adjacent to power cord blinks...

Hi there, Please follow the instructions mentioned in the following document and check if this helps resolve the issue: Hope this helps!

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer ?Accept as Solution? if it solves your problem.
Relevancy 86.43%

My computer was down when I came back from lunch and could not get it to come back on.  If I hold the power button down for about 7 seconds it blinks orange but there is not noise from the fan coming on or post beep.  Also the green light on the back is not on either. All of the other equipment sharing the same power strip come on but not the desktop so it is not the power strip.  I also tried to set it up in another office on a completely different circuit and still does the same thing. What should I try next?

A:OptiPlex 790 Wont power on power light blinks amber

Which form factor, desktop, mini-tower, small form, ultra-small form?
From the (desktop) manual: Blinking amber light indicates a problem with the system board.
Are any of the 4 diagnostic LEDs on when it won't boot? ,They're on the front of the PC next to the power button. Look up error codes in the manual.
Possible power supply failure if the green light is off on the back. Can you try a different power cord? What happens if you push the power supply diagnostic button on back of PC next to that (green) power light?
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi everyone,

My pc just shut down this morning. I had a spare power pack- brand new and I fitted that.

Windows ran perfectly for 10 minutes then the same thing happened again!

I noticed on both occasions, that even after I had removed the extenal power lead, the green power 'on' light kept on flashing on/off.

I have never noticed that before when a power pack 'blew'.

Does anyone think I was unlucky with a 'duff' replacement power pack?

Is the flashing power light indicative of some oother fault?

Any and all help welcome. PLEASE!

Many thanks.

Relevancy 85.57%

Daughter last used laptop on battery power and ran id down completely until computer shut off. She plugged in the power cord and it would not come on when pressing the power button.  Laptop was plugged in overnight and this morning same issue - the power light just blinks five times when you press the power button. This is the same behaviour whether plugged into power or not. I've tried holding down the power button. Tried with battery removed and A/C power, but then no light comes on at all.  I've tried removing the battery and A/C power, holding the power button down for 30 seconds, then install battery and plug in A/C power, but no difference.  I tried a different A/C power adapter and no difference. Any ideas?     

Go to Solution.

A:Aspire V5 wont power on. Power light blinks five t...

I had an object hold down the power button all day.  I now plugged in the A/C power, and it started right away.  Problem solved. 

View solution in original post
Relevancy 85.57%

Please I need help, my system power light comes on and goes off immediately after I press the power button. Please what should I do?
Relevancy 85.14%

Toshiba Satellite L305-5955, Ive taken apart and replaced power jack. Not directly soldered to motherboard. While still apart, and battery out/in, connected power supply and still absolutely no response. Power supply is NOT original, and slightly different specs, i.e original 19v..6.3A

current 19v..3.1A

A:Toshiba Satellite L305-5955 does not respond to power supply, new power jack

Almost certainly the problem is that the current rating is wrong, if the laptop needs
6.3 A of current, it won't function on less (just as you can't use a 3A fuse for a kettle!)
Unfortunately it must be the right current rating, I know, I've been caught that way too!
Maybe you can exchange it?
Relevancy 85.14%

I m interested in the Toshiba G laptop but have heard that you can t use it on airplane seat power It comes with a W AC power supply Vx A but I ve been told that most airlines limit seat power to - W max Lind sells a V car adaptor for the G but specifically won t include an airline plug for this reason which I can get independently of course I ve read some interesting electrical discussions on this board Can ya ll comment on the following or provide any general advice about power consumption Given that the voltage of the laptop and airline seat power pretty much match up - V if the amp draw on the laptop exceeds what the airline power supply can deliver what will happen Will it damage the laptop to feed it insufficient current Will it shut down Supply, Power Airline 120W limitations Toshiba Power G25-AV513, the laptop altogether Merely dim the screen If I remove the laptop battery which requires power to charge it how much will that reduce the power Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations need of the laptop I m not sure how to work the Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations math but the spec sheet states the battery supplies mAh at A output Does it require the same to charge it Most importantly on my hour transpacific flights will the DVD player work with that ultrabrite screen at the low airline power supply A nice feature of the laptop is that you can watch DVDs without powering up the Windows operating system it has a small linux OS for the DVD player Granted the DVD drive and screen are probably of the most power hungry devices Has anyone used a G or a similar W laptop on a plane The ToshibaDirect support staff were mum on the issue probably for legal reasons Thanks nbsp
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a Dell 8600 about two years old. When I plug in the AC adapter, it intermittently fades to the battery as though the plug was pulled out (its not) and of course the screen fades in an out when every time it swithces--it does it every 30 to 60 seconds or so. I switched to a different AC adapter (I have a Dell 600M with the same AC adapter)-same thing so I know it is something internally. Any ideas?

A:Dell Laptop Power Supply Fading In and Out--power jack is bad or loose?
Relevancy 85.14%

Yesterday in my house,electric fuse was switched to turn on cooker in my kitchen. During this power delivery was stopped for 4-5 second only.
When power back on then pc automatically turns on and just before bios show me :"?Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.
Press F1 to continue.? And then pc booted fine to Windows.

Is this normal ? Did it damage something? Why i get that message is this normal?

6700K stock
Asus Z170-P
Corsair 750 RM
Gtx 1080
SSD 1x
Relevancy 85.14%

Ever since i got this new motherboard and CPU ive been having a bit of a nightmare Wont Gigabyte Power up ga-ma790fx - Phenom AMD 9850 Supply & Power with it Gigabyte ga-ma fx-ds -Latest Bios AMD Phenom Black Edition gigs PC ram Corsair XMS CM X - ATI Radeon The problem is that the motherboard will NOT power up at all with the of the latest power supplies watt i have It wont work at all with Nothing happens its just dead Arctic watt Jeantech PSU brand new and working Corsair watt HX PSU working It only seems to work with my Jeantech Watt PSU and i cant for the life of me figure out why Ive tried everything to get the board to work with the new PSU s I had thought that the PSUs i got were dodgy but after testing out one in an older PC it worked fine Ive removed all parts and tried powering up and i cant get it to boot up But the PC seems to work fine with the oldish watt PSU which i find just unbelievable Can anyone help with this nightmare Now on the Gigabyte site the CPU i have isnt listed as supported by this motherboard which is kinda worrying could this be the reason If so how the old Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850 PSU boots up I just want to have the fracking thing working with the right PSU nbsp

A:Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850

if I read the specifications right on your mobo... it implies that it has the 4 pin PCI-e input(power) but it also has the 8pin ATX power conector. (it may be simply removing a cap that is actually right next to the 4 pin connector, thus making it an 8 pin connector (thats how it was on my mobo)

Try using the 8pin power with your new PSU, see if that works.
Relevancy 84.71%

Sorry I don't know the proper terms, but basically the pin inside the jack where the power cord gets plugged into on my laptop was bent so that it's really hard for me to plug in my power cord and have it stay in place. My warranty with best buy has expired, so I need to figure out how to solve this problem on my own. I can't just leave it like this because the cord comes out really easily and I can't continue to work with such a tenuous setup. Anyway, is this just a matter of replacing the entire unit inside my laptop? I know you probably need more information, but I'm not sure what to provide, so please ask any questions. The laptop is a Toshia M-45, about 3-4 years old. Thanks in advance

A:Bent power supply pin - Hard to plug in power cord

umm.. bend it back so it's closer to normal? That's all I can say about it. usually works for me.
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello guys.  Can anyone help me understand the power supply on the HP Envy Phoenix 860-019?  The PCIE connector 6 pin connected to the GTX 960 has black and white wires.  Shouldn't there be yellow and black wires?  Yellow is usually 12 volt and black wires ground.  Is the 6 pin connected to my GTX 960  supplying a standard 75 watts of power or something else?  I want to install a GTX 1070 but the 6 pin wire colors are not the industry standard color scheme.  Also there is a 2 pin power connector with a white and black wire.  Usually a 6 pin and a 2 pin can be used together to connect into a 8 pin socket on a GTX 1070.  Will my connectors supply the needed power and connect properly because the color scheme on the wires make no sense. Thank you
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi, I just bought an HP pavilion e9300 a few week ago. And I am going to upgrade the power supply so that I can get a new graphic card--ATI 4870 which requires at least 500 watt power supply. My current computer is shipped with a 350 watt power supply. I will probably get a 650 watt considering the 70% effeciency of power supply.
However, when I talked to an HP technician, he insisted that I could go for a power supply with no more 450 watt. Because the system I just got has a motherboard which has a max power limit 450 watt. He said if I go beyond that, the motherboard will burn out.
So what shall I do? I really want to get ATI 4870 work well on my computer.
Thx very much.

A:Does power supply with higher power rating really burn motherboard?

The long answer is "No".
Just be sure of the dimensions of the power supply before you order a replacement, as HP uses some pretty strange sizes sometimes, and you want the new one to fit with room to spare.
Relevancy 84.71%

It's been a while since I built a system from scratch and have a... errr... simple question

gfx: Sapphire HD3850 512MB Ultimate (passive)

MB: MSI P35 Neo2 FIR

PSU: Seasonic M12II 500W

The motherboard has a power connector for the graphic card next to the slot.

Is there any reason I should connect the power for the card to the power connector on the board instead of directly to the power supply?

A:Graphic card power to power supply or connector on motherboard?

First time I have ever seen that feature. I like it. I'm thinking that is a neat/easy way to partially eliminate cable clutter from the PSU. Give it a shot, you can always revert to PSU cable if you wish.
Relevancy 84.28%

Working on a dell dimension 2400,think may have bad power supply.Anybody know if that model uses a proprietary PSU? or will a regular industry standard one work?

A:Dell Power Dimension 2400 power supply

Should be a standard ATX PS.
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi forum and pc gurus My problem is specified down to my PSU at least I think so W Logisys PSU - maybe the quality has something to do with it I paid for it from NEW EGG I have A Gigabyte GA- P-DS Motherboard a Intel Core DUO Conroe GHz processor with heatsink and get I HELL! POWER FROM PC built HELP! custom power to on! cannot SUPPLY my Fan Sapphire ATI X Pro GIGS of WINTEC DDR PC RAM SATA Maxtor GIG HD inch SATA Gig HD and two DVD Burner Optical Drives both IDE I have it hooked up like this two Optical Drives connected to IDE connector cable which POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP! is hooked into the IDE input on the motherboard both are set to slave Two CD outs connected one to each Optical Drives to one CD input on the motherboard Both HD s are connected to SATA inputs on the motherboard one is set for master one is set for slave I heard that it did not matter but wanted to state that anyway then my ATI RADEON X is hooked directly into my only PCI Xpress slot The power connectors are then all hooked into their respective inputs on the drives and Video Card ANd last but not least all the Power button and LED connectors are hooked into their input on the motherboard wich I set up exactly as the motherboard diagrams and directions directed I turned the switch on the PSU to on and I only got a faint mouse like squeek then nothing not even the fan So I figured it was DOA so I had newegg send me another I got it today installed it hooked all the power connectors to the hardware then popped the switch to on nothing again and the same little squeeky mouse like noise I have no idea what went wrong and this is my first custom built computer for me so any help would be great In relation I did not wear a ESD protective wristband but I did constantly touch metal to keep myself grounded but I couldnt rule out ESD to the motherboard I hope not but it is a possibility AND what is the possibility that both PSUs were DOA and what is the possibility that W is not enough to power my entire system THANKS GUYS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE Oh and yeah I have it set to V nbsp

A:POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP!
Relevancy 84.28%

Ok so it's time again for me to pick a new power supply however I'm in need of some help determining the appropriate wattage for my hardware setup AMD Phenom II X nm AM GSkill Ripjaw X GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - new a Consumption-Picking Supply Hardware Power Power Corsair TX w I dont think its the V ASUS M A AM r here are the voltages listed on speccy if they are of any use V V V V CPU CORE V VIN V VIN V V V VIN Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply V VIN V VIN V ASUS ATI Radeon HD x in Crossfire w ea GB Patriot Pyro SE SSD GB OCZ OCZ-ONYX SSD LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH NS ATA I have terrible luck with random bsod's and power supplies pooping on me I want to pick one this time that will last me Also I have my power running through a Monster Power HT I live in a new apartment so the wiring should be ok I've dusted out all Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply of the components inside the case double checked my connections all that jazz I've got a cooler over my memory I am still using my stock cpu cooler but thats changing soon I get crashes idle too Any help I could recieve I would appreciate thanks Andrew

A:Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply

You have pretty much the same problem as me (getting BSOD's randomly). For me it's bulging capacitors on motherboard. You should take a closer look for capacitors on your motherboard. Dead capacitors look something like that:
Relevancy 84.28% we finally got my girlfriends new PC up and running. The problem im having...or more of a concern really. Is when you flip off the power supply, and then flip it back on, the PC gets a short burst of power. IE the lights and fans all come on for a second or two. Then you can press the power button and turn it back on.

Any ideas guys?

Relevancy 83.85%

I first logged out of my computer and came back and I noticed an power on turn There on. light is won't button b... Power the no orange light on the power button I shut it of and turn it back on about two times with the same results of an orange light I then shut of the the extension that houses plugs When Power button won't turn on. There is no light on the power b... I turned on the extension I turned on the computer the power button didn't give off a blue light or orange light The VGA cable mouse keyboard Ethernet cable are all plugged in I later removed all the connects to the computer gave it a minute and Power button won't turn on. There is no light on the power b... plugged it all back in There is a solid green light on the back under the power cable The fans turn on there is noise coming from inside the computer a soft humming and light fan from the back of the computer But the power button will not turn on The monitor light is orange and says No Input signal Input Go to Power Save When I switch to input it reads Cable Disconnected Go to Power Save What internal issue could this be
Relevancy 82.56%

was watching dvd and pc cut out completely... high pitch beeping comming from my power supply on hp 110 desktop... when i unplug from tower beeping stops .. plug it back in and it resumes.  No power, no flashing leds ... just constant beeping... no pattern ... just beeps continuously.

A:constant beep from power supply... no power to pc at all.

let me be clear.... beeping not coming from tower.... it comes from the plug in power supply... the square box part of it.
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello everyone - I have just assembled a new build It will not power up I need a suggestion to figure out if the problem is the case or the motherboard This is a mini-itx build power-up: power New or Build MB? no supply case's The case is New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? Linkworld LC - B This case comes with a volt watt external laptop-style power supply that plugs into the rear of the case just like New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? a laptop power supply plugs into a laptop - a barrel connector Inside this power connection connects to a power supply component that is not like a regular ATX power supply but is on a printed-circuit board New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? mounted on the case This has several capacitors and other stuff From that comes the -pin and -pin power supply lines for the motherboard I assume the -volt power supply for this external power supply unit is right since it came with the case It was watt The processor is an IBM t with TDP of watts Lower-powered CPUs can be put in a small so I assumed the power supply might be under-powered I ordered a -watt volt power supply with the right size barrel - and same polarity pos inside The MB is an ASRock H MV-ITX It is mini-itx form factor Still same problem Everything is connected correctly When I press the power-on button an external CD drive I have plugged-in spins up for a while But no power light comes on in the front of the case there are no POST beeps the fan for the CPU does not spin up No other signs of life So power is getting into the MB - the external CD drive is plugged into a USB socket in the rear panel of the MB After trying a watt and watt power supply I believe the problem cannot be the power supply cord Can it be that I have too little load I don t think so I plugged in another mm fan and an ol-fashion floppy drive just the power connection to add more load - same thing no power-up no POST nothing but the CD drive will spin up when I open-then-close it yet again So here is the help I need what else can I try -assuming the MB and case are fine is it more likely the case power supply is bad or the MB --Thanks nbsp

A:New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Well, I figured out the problem.
I am planning to re-do the older mini-itx system I have; it has gotten riddled with Trojan software for kids downloading games; it basically has been de-commissioned already.

So, I took the pico-psu power supply from that older computer, and hooked it up to the one I am making. Everything went perfectly.

So, I un-did that, removed the MB from case, disconnected the barrel-power connection from the case, unscrewed and removed the power supply that had been mounted in the case, put the pico-psu power supply back in place (I had to drill the hole for the barrel-connection out to be a little bigger since the pico-psu internal/external connection is threaded and held in place by nut with lock washer), and routed wires to be clear of cpu fan, screwed MB to stand-offs, and closed it all up.

now, everything is great. I like this linkworld case, but the power supply is worthless. I may try to get a few dollars back from the ebay vendor, to make me happy with a case that is less than what I should have gotten, but is working for me; I don't want to wait on returns, etc.
Relevancy 82.56%

Ok so lately I have been getting a BSOD at very random times and it looks like a Diver Power State failure. SO all of my friends and every website I go to makes it seem like I need to get a PSU. Right now I have a Quad Core and a 8800GT and 375W PSU. So my friend told me to get a new 700W PSU.

So, if the only fix is to get a new PSU? I tried to rollback my GPU driver but it didn't help.

So any ideas?

A:Driver Power Failure = New Power Supply?

You're greatly risking the health of your whole computer while running with such underpowered power supply. Do yourself a favour and get a quality PSU. That's the cheapest one that is enough and of good quality that I could find with a quickish search.
Relevancy 82.56%

My power supply died a few days ago and I have replaced it. My PC will now boot but will not send a signal (turn on) the monitor. Everything on the PC seems to work but it just will not turn on signal to the monitor. I have tried two different monitors with the same result.

Relevancy 82.56%

Finally broke down and started building a new system - I m too old to game this all started out as a home video project Anyway - gathered all my components now I m working to assemble them The case power plug. fan power New for supply, no schematic, looking came with New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. an Okia Model -ATX power supply But no wiring schematic I m trying to identify the power supply fan plug - what New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. seems to be it doesn t at all match the connector on the board And I ve got that positively identified by the board manual The board has a small male pin connection The only thing I can find that might be the fan connector coming from the supply is a small pin plug at the end of of the New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. strings of drive power harnesses Nothing tucked up behind the supply case or anything Is that likely to be it Or would that be for a floppy or something I tried to Google for a wiring schematic but could find nothing In fact nothing much at all on this brand of supply - just a couple places that sell them Please don t tell me I got an el cheapo that isn t worth having At the risk of getting ahead of myself in case I need to adapt something like that to the different style male connector on the board in this case or something else I may find as i progress is there some type of source for adapters or what would I do Bear with me this probly won t be the last question I ll dream up - just getting started While I m at it - the board manual talks about a connector for a power supply that senses board temps - that s another reason I d like to find a schematic or some sort of instructions for the power supply OH The connectors for the fans in the case don t match the connector on the board either The board has another small male pin connector for the case fan s but these have a larger bigger pin pin connector Again - I suppose it s adapter time Guess I ll need that source Thanks for helping an quot old quot computer student still and probly always in a definite learning curve nbsp

A:New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug.

There are basically two voltages available to you: 5V and 12V. Doesn't really matter where you get it from - some pin on the mobo or some wire from the PSU.

From the PSU the yellow wires are 12V and red ones 5V, black is ground. The fan voltages should be written on the fan itself, the black fan wire is ground, red may be 12V or 5V depending on the fan voltage.

Fan headers on the motherboard should be labelled so, check with a voltmeter what pin gives out what.
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi I m currently a computing student so I rely won't up power (poss. Computer supply) power on my computer a lot for my studies and was hoping I could get some quick advice troubleshooting on here So here goes I ve had a problem with my computer recently it s been working fine Computer won't power up (poss. power supply) for a year or so with no problems and then one day i tried switching it on and nothing happened I tried once more and then the power short circuited I then had to turn the power back on from the mains switch The strange thing is my housemate had exactly the same problem and after searching for the answer he was told it was due to a static buildup and the solution was to take out components graphics card RAM e t c and put them back in I tried this and no luck I was thinking due to the short circuit there may be a problem with a fuse in the power supply other then that I m completely stumped and would appreciate any help given Many Thanks for all help received nbsp

A:Computer won't power up (poss. power supply)

Does it happen with any other appliances? as in does using the toaster while using the kettle While your mate is in the Electric shower, telly on, or ironing?

Possibly a static build up, it is possible, Wher are you situated??
What voltage are you on?

What is the make and model of your comp? is it the same as your friends?

is your machine custom built or is it a brand?
Answer a few of them and we will try to narrow it down 4 you..

Mean while if you could get your hands on a spare PSU that would be handy. And remember when dealing with PSU's alway leave them to sischarge for at least 24hrs,
the 3 D'S, Disconect, discharge, dismantle.
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi everybody I tried to search on google about this but it s not really help and it never happen to me before so I post here My PC was running normally for a long time just couple weeks ago I sent supply or button problem? power Power my faulty video card xfx nvidia ultra to get warranty service and they sent me back another The new one works fine but Power supply or power button problem? a week later I tried to turn on my computer and there s no power at all No lights on Power supply or power button problem? no fan running just no sign of power So I check inside if there s any wire from the PSU is unplugged but everything looks good nothing seems wrong I m sure the power from the wall is good and the power switch on the back is on So I tried to check the wired again push the power cable to the mother harder and press the button it worked But that doesnt solve the problem if I put something heavy near the PC or the desk is vibrating a little bit the power turns off I press the power button again it would not turn on until I open the case and press the power cable to the motherboard harder it s on I then close the side panel it s off no power This is really annoyed me I dont know what else to do What caused this problem The power supply or the power button Can somebody help me My system specs ECS G T-M mobo Intel E Duo x GB RAM x SATA HD nVidia ultra video card ULTRA s watt PSU nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

Hi All Happy New Year to all members and technical assistants I have a little issue in which I require some help and guidance I have a PIII MHZ replaced power Pc supply after wont power on MB Pc wont power on after power supply replaced memory with a ASUS MB- Recently it died on me and assumed that the reason Pc wont power on after power supply replaced I could not get to power it up is due to my power supply I went out and spent the money and bought a brand new power supply from a computer retailor I saw him remove it from a brand new case I Pc wont power on after power supply replaced installed the power supply trying to power it up I can see the fan rotate a little bit but not enough to power on Changed socket and it power on It booted up but after sec it shut itself off and now I cannot power it back on until min later when I went and change power socket once more This time the power did not stay up very long As soon it powered up no more than min later while it was loading windows Xp it shut itself off nad now again can t power it back on I have a power extention and power bar in which I used and both shuts the computer off Anything else plugged to it doesn t seem to do any affect This is the second new power supply I m trying What else can it be I have not tried to place the computer in a different room on a different plug yet I will try that tonight but in the meantime what else can I try Thanks for your help and listening Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

Hey, got quite a problem with my laptop.. It's a Medion Erazer X7813, worked well for ~2 years.
I was doing a graphics card benchmark yesterday and it stopped in the middle of it(monitored temperature, it was at ~80 degrees Celsius when it turned off). No bluescreen or anything just off and I couldnt restart after that(no fans nothing). I thought it might be the power supply, so I tested it, but it was doing 19v when not plugged in, but when I plugged it in and unplugged it again it was at 1v. When testing I unintentionally shorted the power supply and it showed 1v after that just as it did after plugging it in, is it shorting inside the laptop? Could it be the battery or something more serious like the MB? Any ideas are welcome!

A:Laptop gets no power, power supply seems to be working

The charging circuits on the laptop motherboard may be shorted...
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a server that I would like HD Power Supply Question Power Consumption & to upgrade to TB Hitachi HD s They claim max startup current of A and idling down in the A range The platform will be a -series X with a Core Duo Graphics card is small does not even require aux power connector Not needed to just supply the KVM with x No other signficiant sources of V drain exist other than the MB CPU a slim CD-Drive for installs a slim floppy and one additional GB Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption SSD startup drive W when active I am looking at an W Corsair I ve heard these are quality supplies and I don t want Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption multiple rails since no one really knows what sort of Voodoo goes on as to how they divide multiple rails up And I don t want to get into that I will be using a single-rail V PS I can add a second if I need to but I d rather not Do you think this will be sufficient for handling Hitachi hard drives quot Green quot drives are a non-starter since they will drive my Raid controller and then me off the deep end with TLER issues I do have staggered spin-up control of the drives with the controller Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption

Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption, Pt. 2 - Laptop vs. 3.5"

My second question is this - I have a BTV server that needs to be on at all times during the season to record shows during day and evening.

Suffice it to say that you CANNOT reliably put one of the critters into sleep/hibernate mode and expect it to wake up and reliably record a show. It just won't happen.

Now, this is one case where I can use "Green" 3.5" drives, but I am also considering banking 500GB 7200RPM or even 5400RPM laptop drives. These will all be on a raid controller, but since they will be in pass-thru mode or RAID 0 mode the controller won't freak over TLER like it would with RAID 5/6 and mark the drives bad. The controller also has more than adequate cache to handle a 5400RPM spindle as OTA HDTV generates little more than 2.5MB per second per channel. Even 4 channels at once is 10MB/s and that should not tap the ability of a 3Ware controller with cache on 5400 RPM RAID 0 or even pass-thru drives.

My question is this - 2 500GB laptop drives burn much less startup and idle current than a single 1TB 3.5" drive. Has anyone tried running multiple laptop drives on a RAID controller, and what sort of luck have you had? What sort of sustained throuput can you obtain?

Electricity is a huge factor here, at 12 cents per KWh. I can recover the marginal cost of 2 500GB laptop drives vs. 1 1TB 3.5 drive.

Case construction and drive cages are not the issue here.
Relevancy 82.56%

My first post I received my new DVD DL -RW drive today and eagerly installed it I of course unplugged my computer s power supply while doing it After plugging the power back in the green up power disconnecting after power supply Computer won't LED on the back of the CPU started blinking never noticed this before and when I hit the power button NOTHING happen No fan Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply turns no lights nothing When I unplug the power supply the green LED blinking gets slower and slower and after about minutes it totally stops I plug the power suppply back in and it starts blinking all over again and still the power won t turn on All I did was replace a CD-ROM drive with a DVD Multi drive I didn t mess with anything else so there should be no power supply shortage or problem Any thoughts as to what could Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply be happening By the way I have a year old Compaq computer with ghz Athlon gig RAM no problems thus far nbsp

A:Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply

While installing the new optical drive, you might have inadvertently loosened one or more connectors. Recheck all data and power cables to make sure they are tight, including all those to the motherboard.
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a generic MB (P-120 CPU ) which I just switched to a different case and power supply. It has an extra "six pin power type connection" in the middle of the board. Only one supply that I have matchs this and the wires are three green and three black. What is the funtion of this connector, it looks from the wire colors to be some form of switch.

Its a case of not wanting to swap out the power suppy from my other unit unless necessary. I have 4 other supplies and none have the extra wire, which is listed as P10.

Many thanks in advance.

A:extra power leads on power supply?

Sounds like typical extra +5V lead and can be used for any number of things...(riser cards,backplanes,to drive extra slots, etc.)
Without knowing the specs. on your motherboard this question is impossible to answer...Post Mobo identification (make/model) or obtain FCC ID and post that. Perhaps we can find a more definitive answer for you...BOL
Relevancy 82.13%

I bought my laptop in I believe late There is ac no power, HP - power problem batte... Pavilion no dv7-4180us a small possibility it was late but I am inclined to think it was Anyway my laptop recently went on the fritz nbsp Two days ago I HP Pavilion dv7-4180us power problem - no ac power, no batte... left it on while I was out on errands It kept running much much hotter and louder than usual but I thought nothing of it Hours later I discovered that it had shut off which is unusual as I had left a few applications open that would keep it on I tried to turn it on nothing I noticed that the ac power light near the ac jack was red it should be white to show that the power cord was plugged in and charging the battery I searched a solution online turn off computer check unplug ac take out battery hold power button down for seconds plug battery and ac back in turn on computer It didn't work the first time but I did it for seconds and then it worked Everything looked fine and it was charging properly and the battery was working again I thought it was just one of those things that happens occasionally no big deal nbsp Last night it went out again Ran out of power shut down ac power light is red occasionally blinks white when it recognizes that it is charging again or whatever Tried the procedure described above again more than once but no dice I searched more solutions online All the solutions I found involved the computer being on such as doing a battery check My computer WILL NOT turn on I CAN'T do any solutions that require it to be on nbsp By my reckoning it's come down to two problems Either the battery is bad or the ac dock thing I'm not sure what to call it the thing inside the computer that you plug the power cord into maybe the input is not working I am fairly sure it is not the charger At this point I am inclined to believe it is the ac thing inside the laptop as I have taken out the battery and am just on ac power now but the laptop still will not turn on The ac power light is steadily white no blinking but it still won't turn on When I press the power button it turns on for just a moment then goes out and the steady white of the ac light turns off for a few seconds Then the ac light turns back on to steady white Still no power nbsp I don't know for sure what is wrong The charger the battery the ac input thing I don't know I will be visiting my computer fixit guy in a few hours but I would like to know what is wrong before then if possible I really appreciate any help nbsp P S This is the battery that came with the laptop so I wonder if it is not reaching the end of its life Also it's been very hot where I live as of late and more than a few times has my computer shut down due to heat I know this can really hurt a battery but I don't know if it would effectively kill it if the battery is even the problem Solved View Solution

A:HP Pavilion dv7-4180us power problem - no ac power, no batte...

My computer guy tells me this is a short caused by the motherboard. I am not sure why. He says the motherboard will have to be replaced.  My computer is almost three years old. It cost about $800 new. The motherboard will be about $150, "labor costs" almost another $100. So, in total, the fix would be 1/4th of the cost of laptop three years ago. The new question is whether that is worth it, and that's not even all that is wrong. The hinge is also displaced, a problem which apparently cannot be fixed. And I had to replace my hard drive about a year ago, because apparently it was "failing." In a two year old laptop. Thank you so much, employees of hp, for helping me with my problem. I hope my sarcasm is made clear enough. If and when I buy a new laptop, you can be sure it will not be an hp. I have had nothing but problems with every hp computer I've ever bought. I hate hp, and I say with all the power of my hatred, "Screw you."
Relevancy 80.84%

Older Dell Optiplex GX tower model Okay first I extra come board on, to power won't light Power a harddrive from an HP older system that had just recently crashed Now I want to read that drive right I put it in as a nd drive in my Dell Optiplex system set the jumper to cable selected Power light won't come on, power to board go into BIOS and select Power light won't come on, power to board my st drive to show Power light won't come on, power to board it as AUTO I hit Save changes upon rebooting it it gets to the end of logo display and freezes Weird never saw that before I think crap maybe the IDE cable is set wrong or something I remove the cable and molex plugs from both HDD s after the power is off and set it back to the way it was When I reboot I get to the end of the logo again and it freezes and I can t even get into BIOS Very strange Well I go back again to check my work and see it is fine with how the IDE cable is sitting and the Molex plug Now the system won t even power on The light to the MOBO is on but the system won t start I undo the front panel and work to see if the cable is worn but it is not and it appears to be fine The light to the signal will not work to go green at all What do you think could be most common issue of this and why I don t have a multimeter to test the system with and I don t know if it s more than a passing problem I have never encountered anything like this were a system worked fine then you attempted to just read a nd HDD and it started to cascade a bunch of problems to the system Any help or ideas are much appreciated thanks nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

We have the same problem with our dv7-3173nr.  We tried a new hp adapter and cord snd it is still not working.  We get the same white light near the plug but nothing else works.  No lights, fans, nothing.
Relevancy 80.41%

Hai..I have one uint HP Palilion TouchSmart 20 cannot Power ON. The indicator Led light at the Power Socket was light ON but when i press the power botton, the PC cannot boot up (no respond).. Should i submit a report case?? Please Help.. Model: HP Palilion TS 20-F218d AiO PC AllSerial Number: 3CR3290C6XPart Number: H5Y90AA Note: The warranty expierd Oct 2016
Relevancy 79.98%

Hey, i'm building a computer but i haven't realized that the power supply i need is an atx 2.0. What power supply should i get??

I was orignally looking at the Ultra X-connect but it doesn't support atx 2.0 Damn.