Windows Support Forum

z240, Linux and EDID

Q: z240, Linux and EDID

I have a z with a i - CPU on my desk that refuses to recognize the attached monitor properly nbsp In the Xorg log file there is no mention of EDID data nbsp The result is that the HD display connected is set to x rather than x nbsp I'm running Debian and have updated the system BIOS to the latest N EDID Linux and z240, Ver nbsp I've also built the latest driver available from Intel for linux nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp z240, Linux and EDID nbsp nbsp LoadModule intel nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Loading usr lib xorg modules drivers intel drv so nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Module intel vendor X Org Foundation nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp compiled for module version nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Module class X Org Video Driver nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp ABI class X Org Video Driver version nbsp Using an old PCIe x video card I have let me connect all of the ports on the monitors HDMI DVI and VGA and Debian correctly set the resolution each time and Xorg log showed all of the expected EDID data nbsp A different z system here is working fine using the onboard video nbsp Since I need to have up to RAID adapters in the system at once I can't just add a different video card nbsp I have not tried Windows to see if it works there though I am going to try to do that on Friday nbsp Is there a video BIOS update that might fix this problem nbsp or is the hardware broken nbsp thanksedc

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: z240, Linux and EDID

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: z240, Linux and EDID

I would guess you would have better driver support through windows vs linux for drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/z240-Linux-and-EDID/td-p/5697112
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi guys, I'm not good in english but I hope u will understand all.

Few weeks ago, my computer monitor suddenly get 1024x768 (or something like that) resolution, and I can't set better, because this is my max resolution. Before this situation I had 1920x1080 resolution. I know I can now only set resolution of my video card. I searched for reasons, and this must be corrupted EDID, but I can't find someone with this damn monitor. I also tryed install many different versions of video driver and use few different cables, but problem is still alive.

If u have this monitor, I wan't to get copy of your EDID, or if you have other idea, I can do whatever u write

Monitor: LG M2280DF-PZ
GPU - NVidia 450 GTS
Windows 7

A:LG M2280DF-PZ EDID needed! Corrupted EDID

Have you tried re-installing NVIDIA drivers?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lg-m2280df-pz-edid-needed-corrupted-edid.1132514/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi guys, I'm not good in english but I hope u will understand all.

Few weeks ago, my computer monitor suddenly get 1024x768 (or something like that) resolution, and I can't set better, because this is my max resolution. Before this situation I had 1920x1080 resolution. I know I can now only set resolution of my video card. I searched for reasons, and this must be corrupted EDID, but I can't find someone with this damn monitor. I also tryed install many different versions of video driver and use few different cables, but problem is still alive.

If u have this monitor, I wan't to get copy of your EDID, or if you have other idea, I can do whatever u write

Monitor: LG M2280DF-PZ
GPU - NVidia 450 GTS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lg-m2280df-pz-edid-needed-corrupted-edid.204776/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey guys, I don't really know anything about EDID override but apparently it should fix my monitor problem that I posted earlier..My questions are : Are EDID overrides specific to monitors? Where do I get them? How do I use them? My monitor is the Acer V233H.

Thanks,

Ryan

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/edid-override-needed-677886.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi i will try describe the problem im having nbsp Computers nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp Elitedesk nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Monitor nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp Elitedisplay E nbsp connected via Display port nbsp nbsp Have pc's all the same configuration with this error After putting a new windows image on these machines after they go into standby when woken standby pc edid error being in after back up they dont detect the correct screen load up a generic monitor insted of the Elite display nbsp then edid error after pc being in standby rather than the x display they have a res of x I was told this problem happened before but it went away nbsp This to me appears as an edid error This is also an inconsistant fault happens on all machines but not all the time nbsp Have updated all drivers to latest have updated to latest bios nbsp I am running the same windows nbsp image on hundreds of other machines nbsp with out any problems It appears only to be a problem when the is connected to the e display nbsp If i turn the display off then back on the pc detects the screen correctly and sets the resolution nbsp Anyone have any advice on how i could trouble shoot this

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/edid-error-after-pc-being-in-standby/td-p/5791420
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi, recently I've got a new monitor which best displays at 1920x1200, but the accursed EDID limits that to 1440x900. Luckily, I was able to override that with ATI CCC, but that only works on VGA. Switching to the better DVI limits the resolution back to 1440x900. Making it bigger via Windows Display Properties only made everything worse, the screen does not display everything and I have to move my mouse to move the view.
I have tried mamny times uninstalling/reinstalling video card drivers, even old ones on the disc, but that did not work. Even unistalling/reinstalling the monitor on Device Manager did nothing.
Please help.

Windows XP SP3
ATI Radeon HD 4350 (w/ latest driver)
Monitor: VQL-24WD

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/low-edid-on-24-inch-monitor.829491/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi,

I recently got a new monitor, an Eizo EV2750, which Windows only recognizes as a generic PnP monitor.

I've tried connecting it thorugh DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI without any luck. The often mentioned sollution, to unlplug everything and wait 10 minutes, does not work either.

The graphics card seems to read the EDID however, as in nVidia control panel it displays correctly as EV2750. Same thing with other applications, like DisplayCAL which I use as my color management system.

Seems like it's only an issue with Windows. This issue, however, also means that I can't get full functionality from the monitor. For instance, the ambient light sensor does not work (which is typical when Windows doesn't recognize the display properly).

Does anyone have any sollutions to this?

A:Windows not reading monitor EDID

It seems you need a monitor "driver".
Monitor drivers aren't really drivers at all, just identification data that the OS can read and file to identify the device correctly.

Most monitor "drivers" are offered up by Windows Update. But if your monitor is too new to be included in the vast list of Windows drivers, then it may be a while before it shows.

If your monitor came with a disk (CD or DVD) you can check to see if there is a "driver" offered there.
Otherwise, check the manufacturer's website.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42343-windows-not-reading-monitor-edid.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello nbsp My monitor has a capacitator problem nbsp meaning it won't power on until not - from HDCP w2207h EDID HP working... Need it is jolted by replugging the power cord I have to solve this problem separately It is an old monitor - hours nbsp This problem however has led to corruption of the monitors EDID resulting in Windows not recognizing the monitor I figured out how to reprogram the Need EDID from HP w2207h - HDCP not working... monitor using the EDID from the registry drivers from HP so the data from the monitor now looks like this nbsp a b c d e f abcdef ff ff ff ff ff ff f a amp f f e ee b a a a x VJ a b a PT k q b a b b ' h d c fd c L a fc S H a ff P w a d a b CZD MTC b f H f c c a d a e a e d e d c a d - gt b c d U c d c c d q X d e d bc d e b d R U e e d d c c d r f e nbsp nbsp The monitor is now recognized by Windows but HDCP is broken which I find odd HDCP worked before the corruption capacitator problem so I'm wondering if the above data is correct nbsp I have checked the cable replacing with a brand new quality one and the graphics card updated drivers etc which didn't help nbsp So I'm wondering if the EDID data is different in the monitor compared to the registry in general nbsp If anyone can post EDID data from a HP w h monitor read directly from the monitor HDMI I would be grateful nbsp Other suggestions as to the reason for no HDCP compliance would also be appreciated I have an MSI GTX ti- graphics adapter nbsp Thanks S ren

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Need-EDID-from-HP-w2207h-HDCP-not-working/td-p/5640474
Relevancy 48.16%

I have SyncMaster nw monitor connected through VGA to motherboard ASUS B M-G with i processor Intel HD Graphics I have two VGA-VGA cables and the problems are Connected through the cable - monitor is defined correctly but the picture is very fuzzy everything quot doubles quot Example http i imgur com LbYZcYz jpg Connected through the cable - monitor is undefined Windows can't get EDID information so i can't set optimal x resolution x available Defines as quot non generic monitor quot I bought a problems, EDID 1920x1200 can't relsolution and get new VGA-VGA cable but the problem is the same as with the cable - monitor does not defined by system BTW it was working fine for some time with the cable I had to reboot the system and screen resolution changed to x I don't know how or why it was working but now it doesn't work anymore I have tried many things read a lot of forums but couldn't any find solution Monitor information Cable - http i imgur com ENApQR png Cable - http i imgur com LEQzgZO png

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/391035-edid-relsolution-problems-cant-get-1920x1200.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi I have an AOpen Monitor F quot x which I want to use as a second monitor for my laptop Inspiron gs Win Ultimate I know it works fine on XP and Linux but I cannot set a resolution higher than x in Windows I've searched up a bit and tried several 'fixes' none of which work check? EDID (LCD Forced Disable Monitor) I've tried -Creating a custom INF Disable Forced EDID check? (LCD Monitor) file to use as a bypass of the EDID in registry -Looking through Nvidia Control Panel to see if I can disable EDID like with ATI CCC -Resetting monitor to factory default unplugging replugging restart replug etc -Using tools like Powerstrip to try and 'restore' the EDID on monitor The monitor only has a VGA cable and my laptop's DVI port is digital only so I can't use a VGA-DVI adapter Quite frankly I'm just about ready to give up but if anyone here knows how to either bypass Win 's sw check for EDID or has a driver which might work it would be much appreciated Thanks

A:Disable Forced EDID check? (LCD Monitor)

[*Bump*]
Um... Does anyone know of a solution?
Should I maybe post this in the Hardware section?
The hardware EDID emulators are way too expensive for me and I would like to use the monitor...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/disable-forced-edid-check-lcd-monitor-540266.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I'm on the trail of what might turn out to be quite a boon for those folks with resolution and refresh rate issues. Seems that Windows caches a copy of the monitor EDID since querying it can be very time consuming at startup each time. There appears to be no "protection" on that stored binary value and I've been able to modify some aspects of the Screen Resolution dialog by futzing with the bits and doing a logon/off cycle. Anyone care to embark in this little research project along with me?

I need folks that are having issues with missing native resolutions, 59Hz, etc. to test custom override EDIDs. I can't very well create a complete solution with the limited hardware resources I have at my disposal.

A:LCD Native Resolution, EDID and 59Hz issues

I would, but the 59 Hz issues is statistically insignificant, so there is really no point in doing that....

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/7131-lcd-native-resolution-edid-59hz-issues.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello Extended display (EDID) identification data help... this is my first post i been using W from december im very happy with it my current W is RC x with catalyst everything is great except one thing Extended display identification data (EDID) help... In XP i could set any resolution i wanted even not supported one and W has some kinda blockade that i cant pass i try Power Strip dident work I read about EDID but im kinda scared to touch this stuff So i give some details my monitor is Hyundai N WA max native resolution x Hz and Radeon I want too Extended display identification data (EDID) help... set resolution x not much difreance right still i cant in catalyst control i can pick it but windows dont let it change Where can i change this in windows so i will be able to have x its only bigger by fev pixels so should be no problem right Thanks for help in advance also im newb in this thing so if some one would be kinda to take my hand and teach me step by step i dont wana burn my monitor after all

A:Extended display identification data (EDID) help...

Install the latest Catalyst Software. There was a bug fixed in 9.4 that should do the trick.

Quote:
Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System

This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite for Windows 7.
These include:
• City of Villains: Display now redraws correctly after changing graphics settings
• Catalyst Control Center: [email protected] and [email protected] Component Video modes
can now be applied via Component Video - Advanced aspect
• Custom formats modes can now be applied properly and will be available under "List All Modes"
• Display profiles will now be restored when displays are swapped while the system
sleeps
• WinDVD9 HD playback doesn't cause the desktop to jitter or flicker anymore
• Device Manager no longer displays error during express driver uninstall

I misread, for some reason I read you were on 9.2, not 9.7

When you create your custom resolution in ATI did you set it using W7 Screen Resolution? You should find it under Advanced - List All Modes

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/18418-extended-display-identification-data-edid-help.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello I'm hoping someone here has some experience with monitors HDCP and EDID A compliant Monitor suddenly non-HDCP went (EDID corrupt)... month back my monitor suddenly wouldn't turn on after hours of service Fair enough So I bought a repair kit and fixed capacitators - a common problem with every PSU I have come by That worked and the monitor is running again - a bit yellow tint though due to the many hours Thats not the problem The problem is that I had to rewrite the EDID after the power down Somehow it went corrupt and I rewrote it succesfully with the data from the registry However now the monitor displays as quot not HDCP compliant quot in the NVidia settings and I know for a fact that the monitor is HDCP Monitor suddenly went non-HDCP compliant (EDID corrupt)... compliant and showed up as such before the breakdown The Cyberlink BD Advisor tool also reports that the monitor is not compliant So my questions are Has the rewriting of the EDID in service mode messed up HDCP If EDID is connected to the problem - how do I correct the EDID How can a power down otherwise mess up HDCP hardware failure Is there a way to fix the issue at all Can someone post a link to a movie that is protected in order to check that way The monitor is connected to my GFX on HDMI mini and I already tried the DVI's and turning the monitor on off etc The monitor is a HP w h and recognized by Windows as such - original drivers installed version Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/401069-monitor-suddenly-went-non-hdcp-compliant-edid-corrupt.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I bought LG MP HQ as my second monitor because it has cannot No resolution. detected Windows monitor EDID detect HDMI input Tested OK and well at the shop It has two display input Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected VGA and HDMI My first monitor has VGA and DVI port My graphics card is ASUS STRIX GTX Which has three display ports One HDMI and one DVI The problem is windows couldn't detect the correct EDID thus using non-native display x Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected when connected using HDMI Correct EDID were detected only when using display with VGA connector So I begin troubleshooting Changing the HDMI cable same problem Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected Connecting using my laptop MacBook Air same problem and flickers Checking my laptop and PC by connecting it to the TV using HDMI no problem works fine Connecting to the monitor using HDMI as the only monitor to my PC same problem Connecting to the monitor using VGA as the only monitor to my PC no problem works fine Connecting to the monitor using VGA as the second monitor to my laptop no problem works fine Go to the shop and tested the display using HDMI no problem works fine WTF So what is the problem

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/35164-windows-cannot-detect-monitor-resolution-no-edid-detected.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I bought LG MP HQ as my second monitor because it has HDMI input Tested OK and well at the shop It has two display input VGA and HDMI My first monitor has VGA and DVI port My graphics card is ASUS STRIX GTX Which has three display ports One HDMI and one DVI The problem is windows couldn't detect the correct EDID thus using non-native display x when connected using HDMI Correct EDID were detected only when using display with VGA connector So I begin troubleshooting Changing the HDMI cable same problem Connecting using my No Windows cannot monitor detected resolution. EDID detect laptop MacBook Air same problem and flickers Checking my laptop and PC by connecting it to the TV using HDMI Windows cannot detect monitor resolution. No EDID detected no problem works fine Connecting to the monitor using HDMI as the only monitor to my PC same problem Connecting to the monitor using VGA as the only monitor to my PC no problem works fine Connecting to the monitor using VGA as the second monitor to my laptop no problem works fine Go to the shop and tested the display using HDMI no problem works fine WTF So what is the problem

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/35164-windows-cannot-detect-monitor-resolution-no-edid-detected.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I was given one of these computers by a friend except it had a busted LCD I had the parts to fix it up so I figured I'd give it to my roommate nbsp I had a different LCD that works great on it had to build a new nbsp brightness power control interface and add a ballast except it's a different resolution x If I override the EDID and specify it to work at the new monitor's resolution everything is great but that's no fun nbsp I went looking into it it looks like it's possible to rewrite the EDID that the LVDS controller is using over the I C bus except it appears the LVDS controller's storage is write-protected on this PC nbsp Most monitors can EDID write-protect Omni data an Disabling 120-1124 on HP on be put into a service mode which disables the write protection but I've never worked on an AIO like this before I'm suspecting that I need to cut a write-protect pin to write to it Only other thing I can Disabling write-protect on EDID data on an HP Omni 120-1124 think of is that it's stored in the BIOS which I'd love to Disabling write-protect on EDID data on an HP Omni 120-1124 look at if there was a BIOS upgrade available for this box nbsp Only thing I have left I can think of to try is making a UEFIShell module to write it out to the I C bus but since that'd take a while to make I'd rather know it will work in the end

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Disabling-write-protect-on-EDID-data-on-an-HP-Omni-120-1124/td-p/5603511
Relevancy 45.58%
Q: Z240

Hi Team, We are trying to install win7 on Z240 but due to some issue the SSD does not gets detected we have also tried installing Win7 via CD/USB but still no luck can someone help me regarding this issue.

A:Z240

If secure boot is enabled in BIOS, try disabling it and enable legacy boot.Also in case you are using NVME SSD, then you may need to inject the corresponding driver

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Z240/td-p/5529208
Relevancy 45.58%

I have a brand new HP Z240. I have installed the SSD in the M2 slot on the board and updated the BIOS 1.27. The board or the BIOS will still not see the SSD. it is a Crucial 500GB SSD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Z240-can-not-see-my-M2-SSD/td-p/5769871
Relevancy 45.15%

I need to upgrade from a Z220 to a Z240 using the same drives and o/s and software.  Will those drives run on the 240 without crashing?  If not, what drivers would I have to supply to use a program like Acronis Snap Deploy (set to restore to different hardware)?  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/z240-z220/td-p/5590254
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,I would like to know the MTBF of Z240 workstations.In one site I found MTBF as 2 million hours with SSD. Is it correct?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/MTBF-z240/td-p/5744704
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello We are going to be purchasing a lot of HP Z Tower Workstations from our supplier in the future and I have been given one to QA in our environment nbsp We currently use HP BCU to make available and enable the TPM on our current HP systems We are using version of HPBCU Today Workstation HP TPM PPI Z240 I have downloaded version of the HPBCU to begin creating a configuration file for the new Z workstations nbsp The problem I have is that the TPM PPI physical presence settings are nowhere to be found in the UEFI BIOS firmware user interface What we want to do is suppress the prompt that would allow users to deny HP Z240 Workstation TPM PPI modifications This is was possible in previous incarnations of HPBCU on different models of workstation in the form of the following setting nbsp Embedded Security Activation Policy nbsp nbsp F to Boot nbsp nbsp Allow user to reject nbsp nbsp No prompts nbsp Unfortunately this is not in the file created using on the Z and as I said nothing appears in the user interface I have checked under Security gt TPM Embedded Security but the only options I see there are TPM Device and TPM State nbsp Is it possible to configure the physical presence settings on this model of workstation using HPBCU If not then I will need to reccommend an appropriate alternative make HP Z240 Workstation TPM PPI model where it is possible nbsp We deploy scripts that run HPBCU through configmgr SCCM and can't have this prompt annoying our users and potentially allowing them to deny the change nbsp We also can't have technicians HP Z240 Workstation TPM PPI visit every Z to configure this manually Our I T estate is fairly large at computers so automatic management is crucial to us nbsp Any help would be massively appreciated nbsp Many ThanksC Solved View Solution

A:HP Z240 Workstation TPM PPI

Updating the System BIOS/Firmware seemed to solve this issue

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z240-Workstation-TPM-PPI/td-p/5597459
Relevancy 45.15%

Dear Support Team,I want to procure HP Z240 workstation for  one of my project. The online datasheet shows that it comes up with only Windows 7 or Windows 10. But my system requirement is with Windows 8.1. Can HP Z240 haedware allows me to use it with Windows 8.1, if I purchase windows seperatley.RegardsWaqas Khalid

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Windows-8-1-for-HP-Z240/td-p/5767910
Relevancy 45.15%

Bios ver. N51 1.27 Does anyone know where the option is to turn on Num Lock for the HP Z240? I have looked throguh the service manual and there was no listing for turning on num lock like other models.Example: the  z210 Bios does offer this.  z240 https://cdn.cnetcontent.com/87/f7/87f7c232-7b8b-4ce0-b452-5de5da0d9e9b.pdfz210 http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02787107  Note: I am not interested in setting the forInitialKeyboardIndicators option in the Windows registy.    I'm looking for an option  similar to was is shown here.  http://support.hp.com/doc-images/512/c02683746.jpg  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z240-Num-lock/td-p/5738846
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello, i just bought an hp z240 workstation (tower format).I'm trying to configure a transcend m.2 30GB drive. After installing it on the dedicate m.2 slot on the motherboard i can't see it in the bios and even in windows 7.the first drive is connected on sata0 (original 1tb hdd with win 7 installed on it)On bios settings the m.2 slot is enabled. any suggestion? Thank you

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/m-2-ssd-on-hp-z240-tower/td-p/5639374
Relevancy 44.72%

HP sent a 16gb 2Rx4 PC$-2133P-Ra0-10 seperately with the new PC (HP Z240 SZh3). It came with 8gb RAM. I replaced the 8gb RAM with 16gb RAM but it wont boot. Blinking RED power light which turns to white blinking light. HELP!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-Z240-cannot-boot-with-16gb-RAM/td-p/5621704
Relevancy 44.72%

Have a new Z240 Workstation with a Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 nVMe SSD.Windows 10 will install to the SSD from USB no problem but the machine fails to find the OS post install.The Samsung 950 Pro SSD does not show up in the UEFI section of the BIOS, but it does show up under Legacy devices.Secure Boot is not enabled. If I add a SATA HDD,  Windows Boot Manager gets installed on the SATA device and the machine will then boot Windows 10 from SSD. How do I get the machine to boot from SSD without having to have a SATA HDD installed? I've updated the BIOS from 01.11 to 01.21 with no change in the above.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z240-wont-boot-from-M-2/td-p/5587319
Relevancy 44.72%

My system came with a Nvidia PCIe card. I would like to remove this card and use the integrated graphics. Whenever I remove the PCIe the system will just beep, and the integrated wouldn't work. I went in the bios but cannot find anything to enable the integrated. Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Z240-Integrted-graphics/td-p/5628346
Relevancy 44.72%

nbsp HP Z Tower WorkstationProduct number L T AVTo update the Firmware I was provided this link by customer support http h www hp com hpsc swd public detail sp ts oid amp swItemId wk amp swEnvOid Using the link I was able Updating Firmware for Z240 to download and run sp exe nbsp Then Updating Firmware for Z240 a set of instructions appear as follows nbsp Another FWUpdLcl exe utility in the ME Flash Local-Win directory is designed to update the ME firmware within a -bit or -bit Windows environment from the Run box or a command prompt The ME can be updated by executing the following command FWUpdLcl exe -f BIN -generic Alternatively when running a -bit Windows environment use the command FWUpdLcl exe -f BIN nbsp nbsp -generic The ME Flash folder contains the binary update image to be used with the utility nbsp The update binary image and the Local-Win folder contents can be copied to any storage volume available within the Windows operating system nbsp nbsp Since I am using -bit Windows I assume I need to run the command nbsp FWUpdLcl exe -f BIN nbsp nbsp -generic nbsp My question is how do I complete this command i e how do I tell it which folder to look in to find the files nbsp Much thanks for any guidance nbsp nbsp

A:Updating Firmware for Z240

When you run HP service packs, they will expand and place their contents under an own directory within C:\swsetup.Specifically in your case, if you run sp74202.exe, you should see a new directory C:\swsetup\SP74202 has been created with the contents of the service pack within. Alternatively you can use 7-zip to peek inside the service pack exe without running it since the exe is a self extracting zip file that runs the installer once decompressed  In any case, a newer ME update exists here but i'd first apply the latest system firmware update available here. When looking at the HP service pack links above, it's good practice to selectively click each "Description", "Enhancements", "Installation Instructions" "Release Notes" "Fixes" and "Revision History" tabs and read the information (some of it is repetative but you'll soon learn where to focus your attension). The contents of these tabs contain important and relevant information on what has been improved, fixed, which system it's for, how to install the update, etc. And if a previously installed SP is not listed in the "revision history" tab, that release may have been pulled by HP due to some fauly behaviour or other issue! Pay particular attension to the prerequisits as in some instances firmware updates have to be stepped (that is you can't always simply apply the latest). And if you read such boaring stuff, the system firmware (BIOS) Installation Instructions tab would have given you a clue where the sp files are expanded to  Have you tried simply enter the command (as specified) via a command prompt window but changing directories to where the FWUpdLcl.exe file is located? Just keep in mind that sp74202 is the initial ME firmware release so nothing sould update  So best to apply the latest system firmware (BIOS), then the ME firmware, then maybe the latest ME software (under chipset drivers). Best to bookmark this page which lists all the downloads for your z240 Windows 10 64bit tower system so check it out periodically.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Updating-Firmware-for-Z240/td-p/5575077
Relevancy 44.72%

I am trying to setup my new HP Z240 workstation, but cannot get the graphics card to operate at any resolution above 1024 X 768. The graphics card is an NVIDIA QUADRO K620. It is connected to the monitor with a DVI-D Dual link cable. The monitor is an HP w2408. The monitor has two inputs (DVI and VGA). I have the VGA input connected to another HP computer with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 card (this computer/card/monitor displays at 1920 x1200). When I checked the adapter modes (using the list modes option), the best mode listed is 1024 x 768. The NVIDIA spec sheet lists the max resolution with DVI-I as 2560 x 1600 or 1920 x 1200. What can I do to get the max resolution from my monitor (1920 x 1200)?

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Graphics resolution on Z240

Update.  Problem solved. When I realized that the monitor in DVI mode was not being recognized as PNP, it pointed to the monitor as the problem. Installed new monitor, everythng works as it should. Evidently the VGA input to the old monitor functioned properly while the DVI portion was defective (card or cable connection). Dave6666

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Graphics-resolution-on-Z240/td-p/5601923
Relevancy 44.72%

HP sent a 16gb 2Rx4 PC$-2133P-Ra0-10 seperately with the new PC (HP Z240 SZh3). It came with 8gb RAM. I replaced the 8gb RAM with 16gb RAM but it wont boot. Blinking RED power light which turns to white blinking light. HELP!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z240-cannot-boot-with-16gb-RAM/td-p/5621704
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, I'm wanting to install 2 x 3.5" HDDs in my new Z240 SFF Workstation. There is a bay that already came with an insert and one of the new drives slots into that just fine. However it looks like some sort of insert/caddy is needed for the "External/internal shared 3.5" bay", as it is too big for the drive itselt to slot in. It looks like this bay is sized for some sort of optical disk. I've called HP and their spare parts people here in Australia, but no one can find the part needed. Can some one please help? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z240-SFF-caddy-insert-for-3-5-quot-HDD-in/td-p/5778715
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello, I am working on installing windows 7 enterprise 64, on a z240 SFF. I am missing the USB drivers for it. I have the driver disk that came with it and I have installed every driver that is on there, along with going to HP support software and drivers web link and downloading everyone from there. There has not been one driver that has solved this problem, so I was looking for some sort of help on finidning one.l I tried a few other drivers for different model of towers but no luck. please help

A:z240 sff USB driver missing

Hi: Please post the hardware ID for the USB controller that needs the driver. To find the hardware ID, go to the device manager and click on the device needing the driver. Then click on the Details tab at the top of the device window. Now you will see a Property drop down list, and it will be set to Device Description. Drop down on that list, and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's). Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/z240-sff-USB-driver-missing/td-p/5746056
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello, I have some problem to open a ticket in warranty for an HP Z240. I'm registered on HP Support and also HP Enterprise Support, but when I try to open a ticket after the serial number check the site platform give me an error: this is not the right site for this serial number. I get this error on HP Support and also HP Enterprise support. What is the procedure to open a warranty ticket for this workstation?????If I call the telephone support number is always busy......it is crazy  Thanks,Alessandro

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Warranty-HP-workstation-Z240/td-p/5840120
Relevancy 44.72%
Relevancy 44.29%

HiI have bought a z240 tower which runs really well with win 7 pro. Recently, I wanted to add an SATA extension card, but without any success. I am looking for a simple SATA controller without RAID functionality (which unnecessary slows down the boot procedure). Unfortunately, HP does not offer any SATA boards as accessories - Is there any recommendation for such a card from your side? I've bought a LogiLink PC0059A card, unfortunately, the system does no longer startup when connecting drives to it. The hp BIOS  screen appears as usual, then the card shows the attached drives, after that the hp bios screen appears again and reamains without any reaction (reboot required). Thanks for any hints Tom   

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/z240-add-SATA-card-no-working/td-p/5725275
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello, My company recently purchased some Z240 SFF workstations and put in aftermarket multi-media card readers in the 3.5" slot. The card reader uses the internal USB 3.0 header, so I had to unplug the USB 3.0 cable for the for the front usb ports in order to get it to work. The media card reader works just fine in Windows, however, I get a POST error message on startup: "Cable detection Error 41A- Front USB2 Not Connected. Front USB cable has been detached or unseatted from the motherboard. Press Enter to continue." Is there anyway to disable POST messages? I can't seem to find anything in the UEFI/BIOS to do this.

A:Z240 POST Message disable?

One of the HP engineers who has been very helpful to us here has recently posted on a related question, and he has access to the schematics and the internal design details of these workstations.  His post is on this thread,  HERE : http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z420-USB3-0-Head... Dan tells how to jumper the header to make it believe the cable is still connected, and it would not matter whether you jumpered at the motherboard end or the far plug end, as long as you got the correct pins/plug holes jumpered. Note his caution.... that seems to suggest that the pins on the motherboard are not as stout as the ones we are used to seeing.  A proper sized insulated wire jumper with a short segment of wire exposed at each end can be used as a jumper at the far plug end of a cable, rather than the little plastic jumpers we use at the motherboard pin end of thins.  If you carefully figure out the wire colors this should work. The wiring of such headers/cables within a HP workstation family are usually the same, and things can stay the same from one generation to another, in my experience.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z240-POST-Message-disable/td-p/5761989
Relevancy 44.29%

When I download graphics card driver 15.20.1045 (sp73511.exe) from the HP site and install this, the properties display 15.200.1045.So I'm now not sure if the corect driver is installed, because I'm still getting graphics card errors. Our software supplier PTC recommends the certified 15.20.1045-version so how do I get this right?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Graphics-Card-driver-Z240/td-p/5847833
Relevancy 44.29%

Greetings nbsp We've purchased Dells for years but recently started (Graphics) 3.3 Beep Z240 SFF Code giving HP a look The first unit I received just stopped working during deployment testing and gives me long beeps red LED with short beeps white LED According to the manual this translates to The embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from nbsp graphics initialization I couldn't Z240 SFF Beep Code 3.3 (Graphics) find any specific troubleshooting steps for this error so I did the following based on the testing I was doing nbsp - Cleared CMOSThe system wouldn't boot after applying BIOS settings using the HP BIOS Configuration Utility so maybe something went wrong there That said I applied settings with this tool multiple times before on the same system without issue nbsp but thought it was worth a start Here's my config file nbsp BIOSConfig Legacy Boot Options Disable Enable Legacy Boot Order HDD USB CDROM SATA HDD SATA NETWORK EMBEDDED UEFI Boot Options Disable Enable Configure Legacy Support and Secure Boot Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Enable Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Disable- Swapped video cards Nvidia Quado K with a known good card We bought two units for testing so I had an identical system to swap from - Swapped memory - Reseated all cables nbsp Any ideas on what else I should try before sending it back

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Z240-SFF-Beep-Code-3-3-Graphics/td-p/5716527
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello  Does anyone know how to enable legacy support on Z240 Workstation? Under "secure boot configuration" in BIOS I choose "Legacy Support enable and Secure boot disable" but I save and reboot, it reverses back to "Legacy Support disable and Secure Boot Enable" Any suggestion please? Many thanks  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/how-to-enable-Legacy-Support-on-Z240-Workstation/td-p/5678692
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello  Does anyone know how to enable legacy support on Z240 Workstation? Under "secure boot configuration" in BIOS I choose "Legacy Support enable and Secure boot disable" but I save and reboot, it reverses back to "Legacy Support disable and Secure Boot Enable" Any suggestion please? Many thanks  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/how-to-enable-Legacy-Support-on-Z240-Workstation/td-p/5678692
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi. I am trying to run the intel onboard graphics and an nvidia quaddro on the same machine simultaneously. HP says it is possible to do so but I cannot find the option in the BIOS to enable the onboard graphics as a primary driver. Right now, the onboard graphics cards becomes automatically disabled as soon as I plug the Nvidia in.  Thanks for your help

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Z240-Running-multiple-graphics-cards/td-p/5854467
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi, I had a look inside and the Z Turbo drive appears to be connected to the motherboard (location 23 on the motherboard map in the manual) and not using a SATA port or any of the four main PCIe3 slots. Only one of the PCIe3 slots is being used and that is for the NVIDIA graphics card, and only one of the SATA ports is being used and that is for the Slim BluRay drive (connected to SATA3). That means there are 3 x SATA ports available, and 2 x 3.5" and 1 x 2.5" bays available, by the looks of it. My question is, is it possible to put 3 x HDD/SSD drives in it, i.e. 2 x 3.5" and 1 x 2.5"?

A:Adding drives to HP Z240 SFF with a Z Turbo drive

@jeffparker? Yes I believe you can add them. Check the quickspecs below:http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04762288.pdf The following are supported.500GB SATA 7200 rpm 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD LQ036AA1TB SATA 7200 rpm 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD - LQ037AA2TB SATA 7200 rpm 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD - QB576AA3TB SATA 7200 rpm 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD - QF298AA500GB SATA 7.2K SED SFF HDD1TB SATA 7200 rpm 8GB 3.5" SSHD (hybrid) - M7S54AA And the following SSD'sA3D25AA 128 Gb sata 3A3D26AA 256 GB sata3D8F30AA 512Gb Sata3F3C96AA 1Tb Sata3G7U67AA 256 Gb Sata3 SED OPALT3U07AA 240 Gb Ent class 2T3U08AA 480 Gb Ent class 2

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Adding-drives-to-HP-Z240-SFF-with-a-Z-Turbo-drive/td-p/5710925
Relevancy 43.86%

I just got a HP Z240 Tower with a 400W power supply, 32 GB of RAM and 512 GB M.2 SSD.  Is the GeForce GTX 970 Graphics card compatible?  My PCIe v3 x16 slot is available.

A:HP Z240 Tower Compatible with GeForce GTX970

Greetings, The 400 power supply could be an issue. A stock GTX 970 lists a recommended 500 watt power supply. You have to verify the 10.1 inch to 10.5 inch card will fit in your chassis. You should have the required UEFI BIOS if the system is brand new and you have a PCIe x16 3.0 slot available on the system board. Cheers!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Z240-Tower-Compatible-with-GeForce-GTX970/td-p/5676932
Relevancy 43.86%

Dear all, I am going to buy a HP Z240 tower workstation. Do anyone know that the decibel of this computer? Is it louder? Do you know which HP workstation works quietly? Many thanks! Celia

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Does-HP-Z240-Tower-Workstation-work-noisily/td-p/5854515
Relevancy 43.86%

I am trying to install Windows 7 on a HP Z240 SFF workstation but when I boot from the Windows 7 USB media, it does not show the HDD even though it is connected.  it would be great if someone could help me out with this issue. Thanks in advance.

A:Unable to Install windows 7 on HP Z240 SFF Workstation

Hello matt_william,  If you are using a retail version of Windows 7 Operating System. You may have to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver while installing the OS. On the HDD partition windows, you will get LOAD DRIVER option, you have to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver.   Please find below link to download Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=8323799&swItemId=wk_156996_1&swEnvOid=405... NOTE: THIS ACTIVITY NEED TO BE PERFORMED ON ANOTHER UNIT.   TO USE THE INTEL RAPID STORAGE TECHNOLOGY DRIVER DURING A NEW OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALLATION: 1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved). 2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. 3. Navigate to C:\SWSETUP\SP73487 and unzip "f6flpy-x64.zip" to a USB key for a 64-bit installation. 4. Use the newly created driver installation media during operating system setup to install the drivers.  Once you copy the driver on another USB media, connect it with unit on which you are trying to install OS.  Click on Load Driver and navigate to USB and install the driver. Once the installation is complete, You will be able to access HDD and will be able to install OS.  I hope that answers your question.  I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP. Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer ?Accept as Solution? if it solves your problem. ***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to acknowledge the post ***

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Unable-to-Install-windows-7-on-HP-Z240-SFF-Workstation/td-p/5648294
Relevancy 43.86%
Relevancy 43.86%

Brand New HP Z240 Tower Workstation with HP Solid State Drive will not BOOTHP diagnosticsHard Drive SMART Check: WARNING (1: NOT AVAILABLE)Hard Drive Short DST Check: NOT AVAILABLE (1: NOT AVAILABLE)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/No-Boot-Device-HP-Z240-Tower-Workstation/td-p/5592736
Relevancy 43.43%

Guys, I just erceived a new z240 workstation and cannot find where to disable DEP in the BIOS.  we have 3 z230's and I found it in that bios.  Can anyone help.  Have legacy software that will not install correctly with DEP enabled. Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Z240-DEP-Data-execution-Prevention-disable-Can-t-find-in/td-p/5775621
Relevancy 43.43%

Issue: Whever the system is booted/rebooted after POST, while transfering control to OS, the system goes into a pause/halt (keyboard and mouse doesn't responds)Workaround: As soon as one of the monitors is turned off, seems control passes to Windows 7 ("Loading windows" on black screen shows up) and boots normally, now the monitor can be turned on and dual display works as usualAdditional info: While the system is paused, if the NUM/CAPS/SCROLL lock is pressed in a particular sequence (even though the lights actually don't respond), it looks like the key-press sequence gets stored in buffer. This is verfied once one of the monitor is turned off, the same keypress pattern lights up on the keyboardSetup: z240 with 2x23" monitor connected to Display-ports, HP smartcard keyboard and mouse connected to rear USB. BIOS version 1.11 (SP74759)Has anyone experianced similar issue or anyone has a fix for this?

A:z240 boot issue with dual monitor setup

Same here.New Z240 workstation with Xeon E3-1245 v5 and two monitors HP Z24n, both attached on the motherboard's DisplayPorts.OS: Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Sp1 with latest patches and drivers (including monitors' one), BIOS (01.27 Rev.A)  I found two workarounds: power down and restart, or briefly attach another DVI monitor. I will try your trick to power off a monitor.  P.S. Initially I had the same problem using two Samsung DVI monitors and HP DisplayPort->DVI adapters. I thought it was a problem with the signal conversion and changed monitors. Probably this post is an instance of the same problem:http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z-240-Video/m-p/546...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/z240-boot-issue-with-dual-monitor-setup/td-p/5531610
Relevancy 43.43%

This should be easy but I can't find the PCI Serial Port Driver for HP Z240 VEN_8086 DEV_A13D. I think that's the AMT driver  for this puppy.... I think its called sunrisepoint or skylake chipset? Things that make you go hmmmmm  

A:PCI Serial Port Driver for HP Z240 VEN_8086 DEV_A13D

Hi: You need this driver...the AMT SOL driver is included. This package contains the latest Intel Management Engine Software for the supported Workstation models and operating systems, as well as utilities for updating and checking status. ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76501-77000/sp76975.exe

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/PCI-Serial-Port-Driver-for-HP-Z240-VEN-8086-DEV-A13D/td-p/5745582
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi, I?d like to install a media card reader (e.g. HP 468494-005) into the shared internal/external 3.5" drive bay of my HP Z240 SFF workstation but it doesn't fit. It probably needs a carrier of some kind, because the casing is just a bit too wide and there are no holes for the standard screws. I couldn't find any instructions on the HP website. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Z240-SFF-installing-a-card-reader-into-the-shared-internal/td-p/5739086
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi there nbsp My work machine is a HP Z SFF PC Last month the machine began randomly hanging and displaying blue screen errors There isn't much in the way of discernible patterns but it tends Z240 SFF blue crashes and HP screens random hangs, to happen when the machine is in use rather than idling and I can consistently reproduce it when using the Prime stress testing utility When I set it to maximise CPU heat as soon HP Z240 SFF random hangs, blue screens and crashes as I stop the test the machine blue screens indicating a cooling issue The machine's fan is very quiet although on occasion it gets very loud after a restart and then quietens down I would expect the fan to get louder as the CPU gets hotter during the HP Z240 SFF random hangs, blue screens and crashes stress test but this doesn't happen so I wonder if the fan is malfunctioning and if this is a known issue with these machines or if there is any possible resolution nbsp Please see below for the output of BlueScreeView which displays the error codes produced by recent blue screen errors nbsp nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z240-SFF-random-hangs-blue-screens-and-crashes/td-p/5658407
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello. I am currently working on getting a fresh installation of Windows 7 on our HP Z240's in order to create our standard business image. I was able to install Windows 7 Enterprise but am having one issue. Whenever the workstation goes into sleep mode it will do a hard shutdown. I've installed the latest drivers found here for the chipset, graphics, NIC and sound. The issue still occurs. I've done the same on three different workstations and have experienced the same issue between all three. The OEM Windows 7 installation has no issues on the same exact workstation. Can anyone assist me with this? Thank you!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z240-with-Windows-7-Hard-shutdown-before-sleep-mode/td-p/5673196
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi all, I got a Z240 SFF workstation with a 512G HP Z Turbo Drive G2 intalled on M.2 slot as a boot drive. I recently add a 1.2T Intel 750 PCIe SSD on PCIe slot 4 for additional storage. However after the Intel 750 SSD was intalled, the computer began to shutdown automaticly after couple of minutes running. The issue will be fixed after remove the Intel 750 SSD. The system is running 64bit Win10, with Samsung NVMe Driver. The Intel 750 SSD can also be read and write when installed and Intel Data Center Tool shows that the SSD is healthy. I think the auto shutdown issue is related to overheating on 750 SSD. I am wondering if the motherboard of Z240 SFF is compatible with Intel 750 SSD. Does anyone have Intel 750 PCIe SSD installed on their Z240 SFF or any other Z Workstation? Thanks! NOS_ATX

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Auto-shutdown-issue-of-Z240-SFF-workstation-when-Intel-750/td-p/5696977
Relevancy 43.43%

It appears that newly shipping Z240 Tower workstations DO NOT have an internal USB header anymore?  The System Board Overview graphic in the Maintenance & Service Guide (Oct 2015) shows #7 as a USB 2.0 internal header.  However, the location where the header should be on the system board is actually a 1x6 pin header (P150) listed as "MEDIA".  The other USB 2.0 Header, #5, is taken up as the front USB cable. So is there an updated manual that shows what is actually on the system board?  The Z240 Tower QuickSpec is dated March 2016, so I'm hoping there is a newer manual out there somewhere.   Any idea what the P150 MEDIA header is for?  Is this for the old media card readers?  I have the optional SD card reader, but that is attached to #8 which is the internal USB 3.0 header. Any way to attach deveices that need an internal USB 2.0 header?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z240-internal-usb-header-and-updated-Maintenance-amp-Service/td-p/5598284
Relevancy 43%

Goal Dual boot Windows and Linux and have an NTFS partition for both OS Boot Windows problem tools Linux: with 7 disk Linux Dual Partitioning Problem When creating Logical Partitions with any Linux partition tool Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem Gparted cfdisk the Linux swap and ext partitions shows Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem up on Windows as primary partitions outside of the Extended partition while the NTFS partition Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem shows up inside the Extended partition as logical drive Disk management shows primary partitions and logical drive inside an extended partition As seen in Disk jpg attachment I'm using MBR not UEFI I can create the partitions in Windows disk management and choose not to format the two logical partitions used for Linux I can then use the mkswap and mkfs ext command to format the partitions See Disk jpg attachment Questions Why is Windows disk management not showing my partitions correctly when I use a Linux tool to partition the disk Will this cause any problems with Windows I'm afraid of making Windows unbootable although it booted just fine I do plan on using EasyBCD to add an entry to load the grub bootloader for Linux If I partition my disk with Windows disk management as seen in Disk jpg will that cause any problems for Linux What is the recommended way to handle this What are the downsides to each way Note I'm a bit of a linux noob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/383556-dual-boot-windows-7-linux-partitioning-linux-disk-tools-problem.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello.

Devices powered by Linux are increasing day by day, and most of these devices are positioned at the entry or key points of any organization?s network. Misconfigurations and easy to exploit vulnerabilities are commonly leveraged by bad actors. Many of these attacks can be studied by configuring low-interactive Honeypots.

Low-interactive Honeypots can capture the malware scripts and binaries, however analyzing these malware samples are also important. Further, keeping such analysis openly available helps independent researchers to search information of their interest and make useful conclusions.

Detux aims at automating the analysis of Linux samples, by supporting multiple CPU architectures (ARM, MIPS, MIPSEL, x86 and x86-64), and making its result openly available for researchers.

detux - The Linux Sandbox

https://malwaretips.com/threads/detux-multiplatform-linux-sandbox-analyze-linux-malwares-on-x86-x86-64-arm-mips-and-mipsel-cpu.50322/
Relevancy 43%

OK My config is HP G SA with W Home Premium bit pre-installed It was working well until last week when I decided to install Debian Linux I am no N B to Linux and have installed it probably s of times Debian installed and booted well but Windows BSODed with an error x cannot access drive smoothly detect installer W7 after Linux SATA doesn't Linux, works I formatted C and attempted to reinstall Windows but W7 installer doesn't detect SATA after Linux, Linux works smoothly it is unable to detect the HDD I accept terms of license and move on to the point of choosing disks but nothing shows up There is an option to choose drivers Where do I locate them The HP website isn't helpful and I can't even find my product let aside the drivers I have already tried Partitioning an NTFS file system in Debian Doesnt show Deleting a partition in Debian and attempt to see the free space in W Installer Didn't work Try to do the BIOS setting thing Change SATA option from AHCI to compatible or something I could find no such setting in BIOS The BIOS was severely limited with only option of switching on fan What do I do The chipset is Intel HM if that helps and harddrive is SATA rpm GB

A:W7 installer doesn't detect SATA after Linux, Linux works smoothly

All Linux code must be deleted using the CLEAN ALL command.As you have had linux on the HD you need do a Clean all & full format.

Do a full clean & full format in command prompt.
1) Boot DVD & Press Shift+F10 (for command prompt)
DISKPART : At PC Startup
2) Boot DVD, & Command Prompt at Startup
(for command prompt)

Type in command line
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (win HD)
CLEAN ALL
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT fs=NTFS
ASSIGN
EXIT
EXIT

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/188424-w7-installer-doesnt-detect-sata-after-linux-linux-works-smoothly.html
Relevancy 43%

Scientific Linux 6.7 Officially Released, Based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.7
Based on the freely distributed source code of the recently announced Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.7 operating system from Red Hat Inc., Scientific Linux 6.7 is here to update its base to the upstream OS, add some tweaks, update many of its core components, and address some of the most annoying bugs.

Prominent features of Scientific Linux 6.7 include the addition of the IceWM window manager, updated the OpenAFS package to version 1.6.14, updated the epel-release package to version 6.8, built the glusterfs-server package from the TUV sources provided for the GlusterFS client.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/scientific-linux-6-7-officially-released-based-on-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6-7.50161/
Relevancy 43%

I have upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and tried everything mentioned in this thread, but cannot remove the yellow flag.  Code 10 error in the device manager. registry entries are: any other suggestions? Chris

A:High Definition Audio Device has Yellow Flag on HP z240

Hi: Do you have the same issue with the same hardware ID? If not, please post the hardware ID for the HDA device that needs the driver. I only see W10 graphics driver for the nvidia graphics adapter.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/High-Definition-Audio-Device-has-Yellow-Flag-on-HP-z240/td-p/5684915
Relevancy 43%

When running an SCCM 2012 R2 task sequence to install Windows 10 on a Z240, the network driver is working in Windows PE during the download and apply Windows image. I'm using Auto Apply Drivers step and after it's completed, the computer restarts into the Windows 10 OS, tries to set up the devices and then the task sequence fails because there is no network driver detected that it can use. I've tried to import multiple types of network drivers from both HP and Intel with no success. I've tried to specifically apply the Z240 driver package instead of using Auto Apply Drivers with no success. I've also tried to install a Windows 8.1 image instead and it still fails at the same point. I'm confused because it works fine in PE, but not after restarting and booting into the Windows OS. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Missing-Z240-Network-Driver-after-booting-to-Windows-in-SCCM/td-p/5600498
Relevancy 43%

I can't get new Z workstation to boot into WinPE on Windows x Windows x and Windows x with only and NVMe drive installed to the M slot on the MB I've tried plain OEM Media and WDS with WinPE with different drivers added to the boot wim file all no luck nbsp It seems there must be some sort of bug relating to the Samsung nbsp pro nbsp M nbsp NVMe GB drive I'm using When I leave this as the only drive CDRW the computer always hangs as soon as WinPE starts If I leave the Samsung NVMe drive installed and add another SATA drive such as a Samsung Pro SSD it behaves fine- WinPE then loads and I can see both drives nbsp I was able to install Windows nbsp on the NVMe drive and booted into Win as long as the SATA drive was present As soon as I removed the nbsp SATA drive nbsp and it starts loading windows it immediately hangs again nbsp It shouldn't be NVMe driver support as Windows WinPE has native windows when or booting Samsung... hangs Workstation WinPE Z240 NVMe support and has the same problem so it must be something else I suspect it's either something I have to turn off in the BIOS or some other BIOS UEFI bug nbsp Has anyone seen this before nbsp Thanks nbsp Edit Z has latest BIOS

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z240-Workstation-hangs-booting-windows-or-WinPE-when-Samsung/td-p/5574579
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi there I usually run a external to Linux Linux attach VM USB HOST, Windows LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host However I can't attach a Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM USB drive with a Linux file system XFS to the VM as the Windows HOST rejects the HDD wanting me to format it There's TB of media files on it - I want to test running media server in a VM Anybody know how to bypass the Windows nag prompt about the HDD and be able to attach it direct to the VM The other way round is no problem -- never a problem loading NTFS HDD's on to Linux machines -- however the NTFS file system is SLOW compared with XFS -- on USB device on Native windows transfer rate of TB of files from fast NTFS HDD to NTFS USB device is max Mib s - average for whole transfer On same machine with Native Linux and XFS to XFS using same HDD's and USB port avg speed is mib s -- HUGE difference Note I have to have a Windows Host for this --I know I could run Linux VM's from a Linux Host but in this case I do have to use a Windows Host as that will be the destination system at the end of testing BTW I'm running VMWARE workstation on W Pro Host Cheers jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/virtualization/57315-windows-host-attach-linux-external-usb-linux-vm.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi all,

where to locate DHCP code, which my Linux machine(red hat linux-2.4) is using?i tried to f ind it in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20.8, but no result.

A:where to locate DHCP code, which my Linux machine(red hat linux-2.4) is using.

I moved you over to development, maybe someone here will be familiar with the layout of the source files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/where-to-locate-dhcp-code-which-my-linux-machine-red-hat-linux-2-4-is-using.658209/
Relevancy 42.57%

I am on Linux Mint 17.2 (Cinnamon as DE) (with kernel 4.2.0.18 installed and loaded) and I'm getting this message when trying to add a PPA via the terminal: Cannot add ppa: 'no json object could be decoded'. What is the cause and what is the fix?

Secondly, I think I installe GzDoom correctly) but I get: Something went wrong!
If you haven't installed any Doom IWAD files yet or if GZDoom is unable to locate them, put the files or symlinks to them in '/home/dlf/.config/gzdoom' or start the game with the command 'DOOMWADDIR=/path/to/iwadfiledir gzdoom'. . . . So where do I put the files (IWAD? pk3?) I'd presume something like: /home/dlf/.config/gzdoom. And how could I get Wolfenstein 3d/SOD/Quake working with (G)zdoom. I'm on Linux Mint 17.2 with cinnamon (as the desktop environment) if it matters.

https://hardforum.com/threads/linux-cannot-add-ppa-no-json-object-could-be-decoded-linux-mint-17-2.1884215/
Relevancy 42.14%

EDIT I have found a solution using a DVI to HDMI problem, card. registry on EDID editing problem AMD Blurry an and Text cable Blurry Text problem, EDID and registry editing problem on an AMD card. on an amd card will fix this problem this thread can now die hopefully someone else will find it if they have this problem Basically i know what the problem is but not how to rectify it My tv Sceptre X BV-FHD a rebranded Blurry Text problem, EDID and registry editing problem on an AMD card. sony bravia suffers from an EDID mismatch issue or chroma subsampling due to some form of post processing done on my tv i'm not sure which but either way the results are the same my colors are inaccurate text is blurry and it's painful on my already unhealthy eyes in HDMI at least vga is normal That said i know how to fix it on nvidia cards i used the method posted in this tutorial to disable audio over hdmi Cropped off-center display at native x resolution on LG WP and or LG WP monitors with recent NVIDIA drivers The problem is i recently upgraded to an amd card and while i tried to use the pixel format to fix this the amd drivers do not fix it not only that but the registry edit to disable audio over hdmi that i used on nvidia cards no longer works basically if it sends audio over hdmi it causes my tv to think it's looking at a cable box or game system not my pc or the registry entry i need to input is different or in a different location I have heard that i can permanently disable audio over hdmi through editing the EDID with this tutorial Force DVI HDMI resolutions and refresh rates However i do not know what i must do to edit the EDID to permanently disable audio over HDMI nor do i know how to edit either the drivers or the registry to disable it like i could on my old nvidia card I am sorry for the long post as well as posting such a topic but i am at the end of my rope on this Any help is much appreciated

A:Blurry Text problem, EDID and registry editing problem on an AMD card.

You should put your note: "I have found a solution, using a DVI to HDMI cable on an amd card will fix this problem, this thread can now die, hopefully someone else will find it if they have this problem." At the top followed by a space. I had to read it all to discover that.
:-)

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/290119-blurry-text-problem-edid-registry-editing-problem-amd-card.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Details:

This is a Dell Vostro V13. I've sent this thing off to Dell twice, they reinstall Windows (which is mystifying.), it last a few weeks, crashes again. Now I'm, of course, out of the warranty window. What a coincidence.

The hard drive is not dead, and the monitor works. I can remove the HD, cable it to another computer, it spins up fine, all files intact, and the LCD appears perfectly normally in BIOS.

I don't know if this is in any way related, but in the interest of thoroughness, i'm always on the Net (firefox) when it crashes.

But then, I'm always on the Net...

A shiny new Porsche (matchbox :) for anyone who solves this mystery.

Thank you,

JP

A:pxe-e61 media test failure check cable (diagn: "EDID EEPROM")

Nothing?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller... Bueller...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/pxe-e61-media-test-failure-check-cable-diagn-edid-eeprom-613510.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have SUSE 9.3 Installed on a 19GB partition of a 40GB hard drive. I heard that it is possible to dual boot with Windows with Linux being the first installed OS, but it's complicated. Can anyone tell me if I can pull this off without having to make Windows the first installed OS? Here is how I have my partitions:
hda1=1GB [swap]
hda2=17.8 / [root]

A:Linux/Windows dualboot machine with Linux first?

The easiest way: Make hda1 bigger and install Windows there.

You will have to restore GRUB later using the SuSE CD and also create the GRUB menu entry for WIndows..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-windows-dualboot-machine-with-linux-first.34633/
Relevancy 41.71%

Ok, I have a Toshiba PCX 2200 series and this is the modem that Road Runner uses(well one of them anyway) and also I use the USB cable not the NIC. Is linux refusing the USB and prefers NIC?

A:I tried on the linux boards so now I'm here, about cable modem on linux...

Most of the times yes... it depends of the distro version that you use...
In any case you're better off with a nic card ( and this applies for Micro$oft OS as well...)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-tried-on-the-linux-boards-so-now-im-here-about-cable-modem-on-linux.84794/
Relevancy 41.71%

I have a WindowsXP SP that has I have risen after sitting for several years It would not boot so I fixed that and was told not to mess with it because it was so old Machine is a Dell Dimension what the lovers desktop that Linux fast is as is best Linux a OS MAC as with Pentium Processor and I think it has GB of memory installed The IE and Microsoft items are hardly legible way too pale I have tried several things tweaks to fix this It does load and run Linux lovers what is the best Linux OS that is as fast as a MAC desktop great Unfortunately I had to install the IOBit Advanced System Care to help me get it Linux lovers what is the best Linux OS that is as fast as a MAC desktop up and running I have been reading about the Linux by a few of you nbsp who seem to greatly favor it I need an OS that is very easy to setup without my having to spend hours trying to understand what I should do next Would I be better off doing a clean reinstall of XP or can I get a better smaller OS All I do is Webkinz and search I am really weary of dealing with Window I got a laptop that has Windows that I am very unhappy with too slow Just threw this in FYI I will be trading it in for a Mac Notebook Pro with GB to do my work on using this XP for play etc I am open to all suggestions except th trash it It is too good for that

A:Linux lovers what is the best Linux OS that is as fast as a MAC desktop

While I use Linux full time, it's certainly not a magical solution to a slow PC, the PC is extremely old and even with a lightweight Linux OS it will still be slow.  The OS is only part of the problem, even if you somehow install a magical fast distro, your web browser will still struggle to run well on the weak PC.There are easy to learn and well supported distros out there (Ubuntu is pretty good as it's so widespread meaning there's tonnes of support online) but no matter what you go for it will take some getting used to.If I'm totally honest, if you have a brand new MacBook Pro I can't think of any reason to keep using that Dell, you may be attached to it but it's really out of date and several times less powerful than the mac will be.  The mac will be so fast, I imagine the Dell will feel even slower once you get used to the mac.  If you want more of a desktop experience there is nothing to stop you connecting the MacBook to your monitor, keyboard and mouse and essentially using it like a desktop.  By all means don't trash it and keep it around for tinkering with, but it seems silly to use it when you have a significantly better machine.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,157622.0.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hello i have a couple of questions i want to try a different os for my windows 7 computer but im pretty confused on which one too use. theres this one ubuntu Ubuntu online tour and then linux New features in Linux Mint 13 - Linux Mint which one should i try out and is it user friendly? and how many other os are there for windows 7 im pretty confused... and before i download it should i backup my pc before i install it. any input would be helpful. thanks

A:want to try unbuntu and linux or linux mint

Linux mint is comparatively easier to use, as it's GUI is similar to Windows. On the other hand, Ubuntu or Fedora look a bit different, but the functions are basically the same.

It will be a good idea to take a backup before installation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/232418-want-try-unbuntu-linux-linux-mint.html
Relevancy 40.42%

I AM CLEARING AND REWORKING MY NT4 AND WAS WONDERING ABOUT A LINUX OS TO WORK ALONG WITH IT IN A PARTITION.
COULD ANYONE RECOMEND A GREAT BROTHER?
I HEARD THAT CORELS LINUX IS SUCH A PLAYER WITH NT4. ANY OTHER LINUX OS THAT MAY BE BETTER? I AM A VERY NEWBIE AT THIS POINT>

THANKS------------OKOKOPO

A:{Moved to Linux Forum} - NT-4 AND LINUX ?

Greetings

OK, I have never worked with Corel's Linux, but I have been told that it is a nice version to learn the Linux GUI.

Other good version's to learn on are Mandrake and Red Hat. But, if you want to get more power out of your linux installation, you need to use distributions like Slackware, or Debian.

And... I am sure that another Linux fan will have a completely different point of view. Oh well... If you want, I can move this thread to the Linux forum, and you can see what their reaction is.

My best solution for you, is to buy a "Linux for Dummies" type of book, which should come with a free CD with a Linux distribution on it. That way, you get a beginner's Guide to Linux, plus a pressed bootable CD.

What I can give you, are specific instructions to installing linux as a dual boot system with NT.

If you go to www.xperts.co.za/reuel/multiboot I have specific instructions on how to dual boot your system with NT.

Hope this helps

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moved-to-linux-forum-nt-4-and-linux.28814/
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi,

I need to read windows files on linux for Red Hat Linux 9.x.
Can some one tell me the way, how this can be done or some setting which enable to read files from windows on linux.

regards
ratan

A:windows files on linux for Red Hat Linux

If you need to read an NTFS mounted drive in that machine then you'll need to add kernel support for NTFS. Try looking http://www.linux-ntfs.org/ for that info. If you just want to hit shares then just mount them via smb.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-files-on-linux-for-red-hat-linux.54359/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi there

Linux Mint (17) QIANA now released

I Am trying this in a VM now before testing on a REAL machine. I'm looking for good things with this release --it's a LTS (Long Term support) release which will be supported until 2019.

This is the sort of things I've been looking for -- I tend to use Linux as an everyday desktop and like the idea of Long term release support -- one of the main reasons I chose OPENSUSE over a lot of other ones - but I do prefer a debian based system over an RPM based one like SUSE even though I haven't had too many complaints with it.

(I recommend you use the LEGAL torrent in their links - it's a lot faster than some of the servers until the mirrors get loaded up with the new release).

The Linux Mint Blog ? Blog Archive ? Linux Mint 17 ?Qiana? Cinnamon RC released!

Cheers
jimbo

A:Linux users - Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" releaed

Originally Posted by jimbo45

Hi there

Linux Mint (17) QIANA now released

I Am trying this in a VM now before testing on a REAL machine. I'm looking for good things with this release --it's a LTS (Long Term support) release which will be supported until 2019.

This is the sort of things I've been looking for -- I tend to use Linux as an everyday desktop and like the idea of Long term release support -- one of the main reasons I chose OPENSUSE over a lot of other ones - but I do prefer a debian based system over an RPM based one like SUSE even though I haven't had too many complaints with it.

(I recommend you use the LEGAL torrent in their links - it's a lot faster than some of the servers until the mirrors get loaded up with the new release).

The Linux Mint Blog ? Blog Archive ? Linux Mint 17 ?Qiana? Cinnamon RC released!

Cheers
jimbo

Yup... great news...Just to emphasise - Qiana is RC at the moment...

http://www.eightforums.com/virtualization/46469-linux-users-linux-mint-17-qiana-releaed.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Ars reports from the Linux Security Summit and finds much work that needs to be done The Linux kernel today faces an unprecedented safety crisis Much like when Ralph Nader famously told the American public that their cars were quot unsafe at any speed quot back in numerous security developers told the Linux Security Summit in Toronto that the operating system needs a total rethink to keep it fit for purpose No longer the niche concern of years past needs Summit a Linux Linux rethink, Security kernel security Linux today underpins the server farms that run the cloud more than a billion Android phones and not to mention the coming tsunami of grossly insecure devices Linux kernel security needs a rethink, Linux Security Summit that will be hitched to the Internet of Things Today s world runs on Linux and the security of its kernel is a single point of failure that will affect the safety and well-being of almost every human Linux kernel security needs a rethink, Linux Security Summit being on the planet in one way Linux kernel security needs a rethink, Linux Security Summit or another quot Cars were designed to run but not to fail quot Kees Cook head of the Linux Kernel Self Protection Project and a Google employee working on the future of IoT security said at the summit quot Very comfortable while you re going down the road but as soon as you crashed everybody died quot Continue Reading - http arstechnica co uk security linux-kernel-security-needs-fixing Share your thoughts and opinions below nbsp

A:Linux kernel security needs a rethink, Linux Security Summit

Same thing that has been argued time and again about Windows OS over the years...

https://malwaretips.com/threads/linux-kernel-security-needs-a-rethink-linux-security-summit.63851/
Relevancy 37.41%

I've been cosidering giving linux a shot, but am unsure which to try, there are so many, and all have there following.
I want it to be fairly simple to install, and I want it to ideally recognize all my hardware the 1st time.

It'll be on a 1.8ghz p4, 512mb ram, 60gb(or more) hd., intel integrated 845gl graphics, and integrated stereo sound.

I've been looking at Ubuntu, and it looks ok, but I know nothing about linux, so I may be way off track.

Any help?

A:What Linux to try for a Linux noob?

I've yet to get to grips with Linux but as far as installing. If you wish to pay (this will give you some hand holding, but Tech sopt can supply this) SUSE went on withotu problems. For a free one (2.6GB download) Fedora core was also trouble free for me.
Spike has installed Fedora Core 4 I believe and I think this went well for him.

In your own words Spike.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-linux-to-try-for-a-linux-noob.27800/
Relevancy 33.97%

I have two hard disks, hda = 120gb and hdb = 40gb. I want to install two LINUX operating systems. I would like to have the option of booting into the operating system of my choice at boot time. I am currently running Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg)
Linux 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 on hda. When I try to install the 2nd system on hdb the boot loader overwrites the MBR on hda. I am lost as to how to get around this. I am not currently nor do I plan to run Windows. I am reading info pages on Grub and Parted, but I feel a little overwhelmed and could use a little guidence. I would appreciate any help to get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks,
stanch

A:2nd linux install overwrites MBR of 1st linux install

What version are you installing as the second Linux?

All Linux installs ask you where to install the bootloader. You may have to choose some advanced install method if it doesn't for you.

Just tell it not to install a bootloader at all or don't put in the hda MBR. It usually gives you a choice between the MBR and the Linux parition IIRC. Just put the second instance onto the new Linux partition.

After that edit the original bootloader's configuration so you can boot the second Linux instance.

You could also use a common boot partition for both of your Linux installs but that would take some more tinkering.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2nd-linux-install-overwrites-mbr-of-1st-linux-install.18889/
Relevancy 30.1%

I m installing linux for ps I m new at computing but i m catching on quick Linux is pretty complicated i hear Anyway i m gonna try it The benifits is too high not to do it I m formating my hard drive now to allow for linux and for the ps I have read many tutorials and watched alot of youtube videos to get familiar with the process I do not have a DVD burner on my win xp so I m gonna have to either get someone to burn it yellow dog linux for me or see if I can use a flash drive To down load the mirror Do you know if i can do this I have attached some of the tutorial info i got for ps3 linux off the web Any help would be much appreciatedUpdated Appendix - Intro Okay so linux for ps3 you are one of the lucky few who got their grubby little hands on a PS good for you You ve played linux for ps3 all the games watched Talladega Nights on Blu Ray and even viewed pictures of your latest trip to the zoo to visit your mother in law on your HD TV Having done all of this you are only left with one monstrous question what the hell am I going to do until Heavenly Sword comes out Well if you are a tech geek like me one of the most interesting things that you heard when they were announcing features for the PS was that it was going to be fully capable of running other operating systems namely Linux Well with the release of Yellow Dog Linux the Playstation has taken its first steps on fulfilling this promise This guide will help you install the open source OS on your system where you can take advantage of built in features such as Open linux for ps3 Office does all the same fun stuff as Microsoft Office FireFox and GAIM Before you get started you should grab a couple things that will make your life easier USB mouse and keyboard USB Drive Memory Card or Blank CD Blank DVD Two or three cans of Mountain Dew Step One If you are wondering where you can get your hands on Yellow Dog Terra Soft will provide the OS for free on their public mirror sites in a few weeks but if you want it now you will either have to pony up some bucks Once you download the ISO file you will have to burn it to a DVD Any program will work I used DVD Decrypter and it worked great Step Two You while you are downloading and burning the ISO file you can go ahead and do a couple of things will get you ready for the big install First of all you are going to have to partition your hard drive to make room for the dog Before you do this make sure to back up your game saves onto a memory card or USB hard drive as they really will be gone after you do this Once that is done all you have to do is go to Settings gt System Settings gt Format Utility gt Format Hard Disk You will be faced with some options at this point Unfortunately you can t just do a fifty fifty split between both systems you will have to choose which one gets GB and which gets the other If you have a GB system unless you choose to give the GB to the otheros you will not be able to do a full install of YDL so your best bet is to give it and get going If you have the I would recommend giving the to Linux as there are rumors that you will be able to add external hard drives and with only GB for the GameOS you will not be able to download too many demos or whatever Once you finally hit Yes to format your system will do go ahead and do it and then reboot with everything you had gone so sad I hope you backed up your gamesaves like I told you to The second thing that you are going to have to do is download some things off the net that will allow the boot and install to happen They are both rather small files and are free to grab from the websites listed below They are The bootloader otheros self which can be found at www playstation com ps -openplatform The kboot file otheros bld which can be found at www terrasoftsolutions install ps otehros bld Now you are going to have to get these on a memory card blank CD or USB drive You also have to put them in a specific format or else the PS won t be able to find them Create a folder... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linux-for-ps3.686476/
Relevancy 30.1%

Will any linux OS run BF2? Very upset right now as I reformat my "gamer" PC. Started BF2, joined server, game froze, I do cont/alt/del and restart. Get "error loading system" and XP doesn't load. Insert XP cd, try to "repair existing" and get bad file path message. Can't start in safe mode, loose patience, reformatting and must re-install all the usual stuff...aggghhhh!

Sorry. just venting I guess....

A:BF2 on linux?

Windows is very unstable but is sometimes compatible with games
Linux is stable but isn't compatible with any games.
There is a program called wine that might work if you know every cryptic computer programing and coding language and have gone to school 12+ years studing computers 40+ hours a week. But if you are like me and have but limited c+ experience, or no programming experience whatsoever, getting games to run on linux (with or without wine) is practically impossible.

I would love to bite my tounge and be proven wrong however.

Anyone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bf2-on-linux.486433/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi,

I'm writing a small program to get my computer IP on LAN (e.g. 192.168.x.x, it's not 127.0.x.x). In Windows, it's simple, but I can't do it in Linux (code is quite similar). If you know about it, could you show me please?

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 30.1%

I just got reading that gargantuan 81 reply post about Linux...

Now my question is, should I install Linux?

I've heard so much about it, and so many possibilities exist, but should I or shouldn't I?
Plus there's the whole Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, Caldera, Turbolinux, Gnome, Lycoris, Debian and Slackware versions....Ugh! Which one?

What are it's advantages over Windows? (I'm running ME right now.)

I have 2 hard drives, one is 20 GB and the other is 10. I can install Linux on the 10 GB.

Also, how big is the download? I have dial up :dead:

I was thinking of dual booting w/ Windows and Linux, and playing all my games in Windows and everything else in Linux.

I'm really curious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I regularly visit the 3DSpotlight IRC channel, so you could meet me there.

A:To Linux or not to Linux

To take your questions one by one:

Originally posted by Vehementi
I just got reading that gargantuan 81 reply post about Linux...

Now my question is, should I install Linux?Click to expand...

I recommend that anyone interested in how computers work install Linux. Its a Hacker's operating system (Hacker in the sense of a techie who likes to take things part, not break into other people's computers which is cracking....) and as such you will learn a lot about programming, kernels, scripts, compiling, how operating systems and programs are made up, etc, when you install Linux. Its a lot easier to install these days than it used to be.

I've heard so much about it, and so many possibilities exist, but should I or shouldn't I?
Plus there's the whole Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, Caldera, Turbolinux, Gnome, Lycoris, Debian and Slackware versions....Ugh! Which one?

Well, all Linux heads tend to have their favourate (mine being Red Hat) but the best thing I can say generally is just pick one and get started. Probably that one will wind up being your fav. The industry standards are probably closer to Red Hat and Mandrake. My posted instructions ( http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214 ) refer to Red Hat install, but could be adapted for others as well.

What are it's advantages over Windows? (I'm running ME right now.)Click to expand...

Well, that's something that we could go on about all night (its late here already) but let's just say firstly that its free (more or less), other users can be VERY friendly and supportive, it has a LOT of powerful tools bundled with it and it has some very powerful capabilities. Windows limits the user in many ways (which again we could go on about all night) but Linux does not have such limitations. You can make it look like whatever you want. You can make it behave in a whole variety of ways that you can't with Windows. And it has some VERY powerful commands that Windows just doesn't even touch on.

For example, there are built in capabilities in Linux to burn CDs from the command line, write your hard drive with zeros, and so forth, all expressable in UNIX commands and executables. Any good Linux distro comes loaded with programs for doing just about anything that you can imagine, without the need to buy any more. And it does not suffer from the Microsoft syndrome (i.e. make the browser and the media player part of the operating system just to stick the foot into the groin of the competition.....)

I have 2 hard drives, one is 20 GB and the other is 10. I can install Linux on the 10 GB.

Yes. It would be best if the drive you install it on is on the primary IDE controller (either master or slave) and not the secondary, again for reasons I can't be bothered going into right now.

Also, how big is the download? I have dial up :dead:

In that case, you can forget about downloading Linux pretty much, if you want the real experience. Redhat is 2 full CDs and Mandrake is 3 if I remember. But you can buy it for a fraction of the cost of Windows (any version) from any good computing store. The money you are paying mainly goes into the cost of the media itself, the printed manuals and the technical support you will be entitled to if you buy a boxed copy.

Your best bet is to take the plunge and see where it leads you. Maybe Linux is not for you. On the other hand, maybe you will unlock a door that will change your computing experience. I would not be ready to adandon Windows completely albeit for games at this early stage, but certainly an installation of it on some free hard disk space will do no harm. If you decide you think its rubbish, too hard to get into, or too hard to work with then you can dump it. If you are the sort of pers... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/to-linux-or-not-to-linux.476/
Relevancy 30.1%

first off, I don't know much about linux, however I am beginning to search for alternative to the windows operating systems...what are some of the main differences in how linux works vs. windows 9x/ME/XP/etc. also, can programs made for windows (games, AIM, etc) work on linux - is some sort of windows emulator required? how about using my ISP on linux? is the set-up for internet access/email etc much different? keep in mind that I've never worked with linux before, so some of the questions may not be relevent.....also, could anyone maybe grab a sceenshot of their comp running linux and post it for me? thanks

A:new to linux

One of the main differences between Linux and Windows is that Linux is open source. The kernel code is free for anybody to modify, which allows for you to compile compatibility into the kernel (for things like NTFS). Also, they use different file-systems. Linux uses ext2 or ext3, where Windows uses FAT32 or NTFS. Linux has partial NTFS support, but it can read and write Fat32.

Linux, of course, is free, which is always nice. Most software for Linux is also freeware, or is cheaper then Windows software (e.g. Red Hat 9 comes with OpenOffice, for free, while Microsoft Office, which has the same features, cost a fairly hefty price).

You will need a Windows emulator like WINE to run Linux programs under Linux, but even then, you won't be able to use directX (I think). I had a really hard time using WINE. You also might consider using software like Bochs, which will emulate an entire computer, which you can install Windows onto for gaming + such.

I have cable internet and have never encountered a problem using my network cards (both wireless and wired). Unless you have some crappy WinModem, Linux should be capable of using Dial-Up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-to-linux.12943/
Relevancy 30.1%

Can someone tell me if there is a way to install UO:LBR on the linux operating system.

I just purchased the Mandrake 9.0 PowerPack Edition

If this is possible would anyone be able or willing to give me some quick steps or overview of what it will take?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/uo-lbr-on-linux.112525/
Relevancy 30.1%

I have been using windows ever since I have ever used a computer...and one of my friends uses Linux and I was thining about switching but I just don't know the differences and pros and cons with Linux compared to Windows...any comments?

A:LINUX Yes or no?

Its good for some things that windows is not. And vice versa.

I would dual boot. I am taking my career down a linux/UNIX path, and believe me, I still dual boot.

Linux differs from Windows in many ways, and its is a very different world to get used to. However, there are many rewards in being a part of this world. There is some extremely interesting computing stuff going on in linux, that covers just about every part of computing. And just about everything you get will be free, and will be supported by computer enthusiasts and experts - just because they want to help you. Its a great community.

A linux system comes out of the box with all you need to get into some really good programming (OO, scripting, all sorts), databases, networking and much more. When you install programs, you will get the source code to those programs, which you can use or examine yourself.

In terms of playing games, listening to mp3s, office applications, internet surfing, it has no additional benefits. Windows is probably much better at these things.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-yes-or-no.23400/
Relevancy 30.1%

I tried Red Hat Linux four years ago and never did figure out my way around it and then dumped it. I would like to try it out again and see what happens. Any recommendation on which Linux I should try out. Keep in mind I know next to nothing about Linux.

Thanks

Larry

A:Trying Linux out

Red Hat is probably the market leader and is my favourate distro. My extensive installation instructions here:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214

...were written with Red Hat in mind. There's plenty of info there on installing and on guiding you through some of your initial hurdles that you will probably find, as we built the thread up with several members installing Red Hat and posting in with any problems that they found. AFAIK there were no unresolved problems.

Red Hat has come a LONG way in the last 4 years. I remember installing Red Hat 4 years ago and its nothing like it is now. You will find that a lot of the installation is done for you just like Windows 2000 type of thing. You will of course require some unpartitioned HDD space before beginning but the thread tells you all about that.

I really think that if you are curious, you should give it a go. Its really another world and there is a lot to learn about computing from installing and using Linux.

Post back here with any problems, but it might be better if you posted to the thread http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214 instead of here to avoid any duplication. Its best to keep all of people's first experiences and first problem solving in one thread and as to provide a resource for future users. I also attached a .txt file which as a far as I remember was printer friendly which contained all of the instructions, you will find that in the thread too. Good luck and please feel free to post back with any questions. I can't promise that we will have all of the answers but there is a good community here who will give it their best shot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-linux-out.2586/
Relevancy 30.1%

hey, I have two 80 gig HDD's, i had linux installed on my slave, I wanted to get rid of it so I deleted some partitions, partition magic then went to restart, I got an GRUB Error 17 error when trying to boot back up, i put in my XP cd, somehow go back into windows by fluke

I know if I restart my computer again it will give me the same problem, so how I can reset my MBR to boot into windows correctly.

I am running SP2 Pro.
Any help would be greatly appreaciated, thanks a lot!

Let me know if i need anymore details! thanks !

A:Had Linux, Got rid of it... MBR help please!

Set the BIOS settings to make your WinXP hdd first in HDD boot order. Then boot your WinXP CD. Get into the recovery console and type the "fixmbr" command. Reboot your comp without the XP CD and you should go straight into Windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/had-linux-got-rid-of-it-mbr-help-please.430262/
Relevancy 30.1%
Q: Linux

Can I run Linux on this machine??

A:Linux

@twager?, welcome to the forum. When requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Linux/td-p/5797149
Relevancy 30.1%
Q: Linux

Can I run Linux on this machine??

A:Linux

@twager?, welcome to the forum. When requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Linux/td-p/5797149
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi, I am looking for a Linux distro which is similar to windows,
comments appreciated.

A:Linux with W7

Have a look at Zorin OS. Zorin OS - Home

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/325314-linux-w7.html
Relevancy 30.1%

Does anyone know where I can get A free version of linux to burn on a disc. I need one that I can download to my hardisk because my windows xp disc is scratched and I need an operating system.

A:Linux Help

Maybe something here??

http://distrocenter.linux.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linux-help.431279/