Windows Support Forum

Z240 - Stopped from installing WIn 7 32-bit

Q: Z240 - Stopped from installing WIn 7 32-bit

I am trying to find out why I am blocked from install WIndows 7 Pro 32-bit. Please advise.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Z240-Stopped-from-installing-WIn-7-32-bit/td-p/5672460
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Z240 - Stopped from installing WIn 7 32-bit

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 24.08%

I have no clue if I'm posting this in the correct place but here it goes my Sell insperion laptop worked just fine as of a couple of days ago. We ended up connecting it to the Ethernet cord and it works. We've tried restarting it numerous times and it doesn't recognize any networks. Any suggestions?

A:Wi-Fi stopped working now only works wired

Have you checked under your Device Manager to see if the WiFi was disabled for some reason? Does your Dell have a physical WiFi button, and is it turned on? You could also go to the Dell website and download the WiFi device drivers for your specific laptop. Un-install the WiFi drivers, reboot and then re-install them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-stopped-working-now-only-works-wired.212471/
Relevancy 20.21%

I was harvesting parts from a computer, and I found a couple gigs of RAM. I could always use a couple more gigs, but I don't know if they are compatible -- and I do know that if they are incompatible, it won't work. But, exactly what do I risk by trying it out? Will the system just not boot, so I take it out and it's as if nothing ever happened? Or will attempting such an installation actually result in permanent damage to my system if it's not compatible?

A:What is the worst that can happen when installing incompatible RAM?

Usually all that will happen is the system will not boot or cause blue screens. It is very unlikely the incompatibility will cause additional damage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-worst-that-can-happen-when-installing-incompatible-ram.212208/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello,

I own a custom laptop on an MSI 16F2 platform. Few weeks ago my GTX 670M card died.

Out of better options, I bought an used GTX 660M from an acquaintance.

I had it installed, started Windows and everything looked OK. Then I installed the Nvidia drivers and after reboot, right after the loading screen, I got a black screen (with the screen still lit).

I went into Safe mode and uninstalled the driver. Then installed again and got the same result. Went into Bios, change settings, tried resetting CMOS, nothing worked. Installed Windows 7 Ultimate again, then Windows 8, same thing. I also tried the driver modding instructions on this forum, still nothing.

I have no clue what is wrong. If you have any idea, please help me with this.

Thank you,

Fox

A:GTX 660M black screen after installing driver

I have connected the laptop to an external monitor and it works with the Nvidia driver installed. The laptop screen works just fine without the drivers. I would really appreciate any form of help. Is it maybe the BIOS?

Thx,
Fox

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gtx-660m-black-screen-after-installing-driver.211105/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi there,

The laptop I have is an asus P550C, windows 7.

This laptop came pre-installed with Mcafee Antivirus protection for a limited amount of time. Wifi was working perfectly fine although there were occasions where the connection would disconnect by itself. After the free-trial ended, I did not want to buy the packaged they were advertising so I went to my Control Panel and uninstalled Mcafee. This was when the problem started to occur. The internet access icon had a red x and when I went to diagnose the problem, it said that I needed to connect via an ethernet cable. Since then, I have connected it with an ethernet and internet works and I have also installed AVG's free antivirus software.

I have tried to
type: ipconfig /flushdns
type: nbtstat -R
type: netsh int reset all
type: netsh int ip reset
type: netsh winsock reset

But I still cannot connect via wifi. Please help

A:Wifi has stopped working but still able to connect to internet via ethernet cable

C:\Users\jay>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jay-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-35-30-05-36-68
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9dfa:dcc6:3d3b:ae86%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.20(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : March-27-15 4:14:52 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : March-28-15 4:14:52 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 247262843
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-51-D7-D4-BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A9DA0935-EE1F-4A59-8A97-DDA13A7DFFEA}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b%14(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\jay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-has-stopped-working-but-still-able-to-connect-to-internet-via-ethernet-cable.210787/
Relevancy 24.08%

I and Driver responding stopped recovered has purchased an HP-f wm with an Intel N processor about a month ago It s running Windows I also bought a mouse for it since it s not a touch screen that allows me to scroll side to side and makes not having the touch screen easier to Driver stopped responding and has recovered operate The what I thought was Driver stopped responding and has recovered mouse started freezing in the middle of using it to surf the net or working in documents it Driver stopped responding and has recovered just freezes for a bit then starts working again Last night I got an error message after it did this saying the driver had stopped working and recovered I didn t notice that it said which driver I found a fix for this on the Microsoft website but it was for Windows I have tried to do all the updates that it needed when I first got it but I have to do them a few at a time as they fail if I try to do them all at once I have gone through and done several of these one at a time Recent updates have successfully installed it s just the ones needed when I first started using it that are a problem I have about left from Sept-Dec Any advice would be appreciated I got this from Amazon so I have no support nor can I return it nbsp

A:Driver stopped responding and has recovered

Two suggestions:

Try installing the software under "Windows 7" preferances. When you go to install the software (I do not have windows 8.1 myself, just going off Windows 7 features) Right click the installer and go to properties. Under "Compatibility" select "Compatibility Mode" as "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows 7.

Also select the "Priviledge Level" to make sure there is a checkmark in "Run this program as an administrator"
The other option is to find any driver software that is installed with the mouse and ensure that it is changed to these settings as well. If you want me to go into depth about how to do that I can explain further. But the general idea is to find the .EXE for the software that starts with windows and change the properties to the same as you did with the installer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered.208879/
Relevancy 23.65%

hello techspot, I keep getting this error when I play games in my computre. what should I do to fix this error?

A:Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

I get this error every once and a while. Updating your GPU drivers usually solves the issue. Do you know what GPU you are running? Post your full system specs below and then we can go from there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered.204745/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello all!

I wonder if anyone could help me shed some light on the best process for the above subject.

I currently have a Dell Studio XPS 435MT (Vista 64bit) running two HDD's in RAID 0 (as from factory) I need to install Windows 7 64bit and would like to also install it onto the new SSD I have bought (Crucial 128GB) as an upgrade.

Could I simply take the current HDD's out (after backing up essential data) to keep safe as backup plan and add the SSD into slot 0 and install Windows 7?? Then possibly add say a 1tb storage drive to the system later?

One solution someone has sent my way is to clone the two 500gb RAID 0 drives to a single 1tb drive then install Windows 7 onto the new SSD and have both drives on a multiboot? Could this work?

I have seen/heard many versions of how to go about this install but no real evidence of a true way?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Poke13

A:Dell Studio XPS 435MT - Installing SSD and Windows 7 64bit

It takes 3-500GB drives to give you 1.3TB of storage space because of formatting over-head. 2-500GB drives will be considerably less than 1TB. Keep the 2-500's in a single RAID array and set the SSD as a separate partition for Windows 7

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-studio-xps-435mt-installing-ssd-and-windows-7-64bit.199415/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hey,

Yesterday, I was working with my PC while my 1TB Seagate external hard (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Ultra-Portable-External-STAA1000101/dp/B0045JLPMO) was plugged in via USB. The USB connection was a little bit loose.

Then when I was plugging a USB flash memory in, I noticed that the external hard was disconnected.
I connected it again, but it didn't appear in My Computer.
Here is the state in Disk Management and Device Manager:

After that, I plugged out the "SATA to USB converter" from the hard and connected it directly to SATA cable inside the PC case (like internal HDD), but this time nothing showed up in Disk Management, Device Manager and BIOS. However, it took a long time for the system to boot.

I searched and read lots of threads and tested some other stuff:

(It didn't appear in Minitool Partion Wizad).

I've got a lot of data on this HDD which really matters to me.
Any help is really appreciated.

A:FreeAgent 1TB External Hard stopped working (unknown, not initialized)

Hi there Sedhadi,

If your HDD is failing the manufacturer's tests it is probably dead. IF you need to get your data back look for a reputable data recovery company in the area.
Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/freeagent-1tb-external-hard-stopped-working-unknown-not-initialized.208828/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a toshiba satellite C870-11H. It used to ask for the password whenever it went to sleep. I checked and the system is still set to do so.

Some time ago I got fed up with the clowns at Microsoft thinking their latest update was more important than whatever I happened to be doing and destroying the work I was doing so they could load their rubbish. I set the system to ask me before doing an update. Well it doesn't bother to do that and now very rarely it does load an update without authority. Could it be that my system is now way out of date?

Is there a customer focused operating system that I could use instead?

Thanks.

A:Laptop stopped asking for password

Every OS is customer focused. Microsoft is for non-Mac machines and getting things done. Linux is more powerful but requires more techy-ness to use.

Maybe try Mac OSX.

But there's nothing wrong with Windows. Sounds like you have a decent amount of problems.
Run WIndows update, make sure it's completed every update.
Run CMD.exe in admin mode, run sfc /scannow

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-stopped-asking-for-password.204405/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello...I will start from the begining .

I bought the Acer V5 and tried booting it up...it came with boot-up Linux which means nothing to me so I made a Windows 8 bootable USB and the problems started. First I could'n find the USB and after enabling the Legacy mode it finally found it and booted from it. Turned out the partitions are GPT and as I made the USB MBR it couldn't install so I canceled which I guess was my mistake but there was no other option. After that I created the bootable USB with GPT partition scheme and tried again. Unfortunately this time I got something called GNU GRUB....wth? I googled around and found the commands required for booting - root (hd1,0), then chainloader +1 and finally boot. Then I get the famous The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors with Status: 0xc000000e. Of course tried that couple of more times but still to no avail. I cannot recover or repair as Windows was never really installed, so I don't know what to do....Hopefully someone here would be able to help. Thanks in advance guys.

Petar

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-v5-booting-windows-installing-issues.205294/
Relevancy 23.22%

My year old ACER Aspire keyboard just stop working in a couple of capacities First the numbers on the key wouldn t type at all Checked Num Lock fine then stopped some thing... Laptop working wrong the type and keys tried to type numbers at top of keyboard well some typed the right number but most didn t or typed more than one number Ran Webroot Anti-spyware and Anti-Virus clean Then I shook my computer to see if any crumbs or foreign materials were throwing something off clean Took out battery nada Restored computer to the day before any problems Changed nothing Pressed every Laptop keys stopped working and some type the wrong thing... key to see if something was stuck or key broken None The Delete Backspace Enter and Space Bar do NOT work at all So basically the entire keyboard is not working due Laptop keys stopped working and some type the wrong thing... to something If I type any one key some of them type what I wanted but continue to type the letter or number until I log out of my Google Engine I have always had issues with the keyboard I will be typing along and the cursor will randomly go back to previous sentences and start typing what I am currently typing It is so annoying Why is it hopping all over the place A computer major friend who teaches computer classes said to write to Google and maybe I would find others with similar problems I found several quot sticky keys quot problems but none on point with none of the keys working or working properly He suggested perhaps a Trojan Horse virus but my sweeps come up clean Can anyone help me Thank you Shawnascy nbsp

A:Laptop keys stopped working and some type the wrong thing...

It could be a virus. But It also could just be your keyboard is bad. You may need to take it to your local repair shop if it. Is a laptop and have them check the keyboard out for you. I really do not think it is a virus.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keys-stopped-working-and-some-type-the-wrong-thing.204613/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have a MacBook Pro 15' 2009 edition, and wanted to know how you install a second GPU into it or even simply replace it.
Thanks for any responses.

A:Installing a 2nd GPU Mac?

Nope. Can't do it. (this applies to both your questions)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-a-2nd-gpu-mac.202646/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi, I just installed a gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h into my system (i5 3570), and even after reinstalling windows the computer is very glitchy, it takes ages to come on, freezes, and usb devices don't work half the time.

I'm thinking it's a dodgy motherboard. Any ideas?

A:System is very glitchy after installing new motherboard

Actually my first post was wrong, (this is someone else's computer) reinstalling windows fixed the glitches it just pauses on the windows logo for about five minutes before booting up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-is-very-glitchy-after-installing-new-motherboard.204643/
Relevancy 24.51%

Not only has the wifi stopped working I don't even see the list of available networks anymore. I must plug in the Ethernet cable to access the internet. I think I may have a virus. I just purschased this laptop a few months ago. It is an Acer Aspire

A:Wi-Fi stopped

First, ensure the driver is healthy. Use the command prompt to run devmgmt.msc,
[+] expand the Network Adapters and the NIC and WiFi devices should be there without and red/yellow flags

You might look for driver updates for the WiFi

What make/model is your router? Have you undated it YET?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-stopped.204390/
Relevancy 20.21%

Greetings reader

So im using a Radeon HD 6870 in my MSI 890gxm-g65.
Installed the hardware and when I run it on on-board graphics, windows is able to detect it as ATI Radeon HD 6800 Series. But after installing the driver for the 6870 it asks for a restart.
The BIOS screen is visible but after the windows loading screen the display just goes off, the LCD in on but it's just black screen.

I have a lot of work to do, so ill be really grateful if someone is willing to help me.

Thank You
in advance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hd-6870-not-working-after-installing-driver.202017/
Relevancy 20.21%

I m officially out of ideas and I m hoping you kind way of operating notebook system No on installing folk here could help me out I have a Hp notebook whose hard disc I formatted while transfering data from it to my computer so I could do a fresh OS When I returned the hard disc into the notebook I found No way of installing operating system on notebook that I could not install Windows by any medium I tried plugging in an external DVD reader and installing windows like I did the first time on this notebook but No way of installing operating system on notebook it would not read from the device BIOS recognises it only as USB LEGACY SUPPORT When I tried installing windows from an USB like I did many times on my computer the screen would freeze when I pressed any key to No way of installing operating system on notebook boot from USB I tried changing USB ports for the devices I used it did not help and I tried changing USB memory sticks from which I booted but alas no success I don t know if there is a way of transfering the files from the dvd onto the hard disc make it bootable somehow and then install the OS on the hard drive the same one I also tried installing other OS using the same methods Windows and XP but have had the same problems P S I haven t tried preinstalling a system on the hard drive on another computer and then inserting the HD into the notebook hoping it would boot I tried that once on a comuter and have had no success Please do help cheers nbsp

A:No way of installing operating system on notebook

Does this help ?
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...all-Windows7-on-HP-2140-using-USB/td-p/301650

or this ?
http://www.suren.net/2010/03/11/installing-windows-7-off-a-usb-drive-on-an-hp-mini-2140/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-way-of-installing-operating-system-on-notebook.200793/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi I ve start new after installing vga? won't Games a just bought a new vga Radeon HD I had Games won't start after installing a new vga? GT before Everything was fine I downloaded the drivers played some games and everything was ok Games won't start after installing a new vga? After testing it I decided to uninstall the Nvidia drivers because it seems to me that I didn t need them anymore I did it using the programs and features in Control Panel after restarting the PC the games I tried didn t start Assassin s creed IV Black Flag when I tried to start it nothing happend and nothing changed in task manager Battlefield It says that I need directx which is weird cause I have the newest directx installed on my PC Also KMplayer won t work it doesn t show any video but plays the sound VLC and jetaudio work just fine System Games won't start after installing a new vga? Information OS Windows Ultimate SP Processor Intel Core i CPU Motherboard J amp W JW-H T-PRO RAM GB VGA Radeon HD So what should I do Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Games won't start after installing a new vga?

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the amd drivers and it got fixed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/games-wont-start-after-installing-a-new-vga.198393/
Relevancy 20.21%

Need help reinstallintg a wifi connection onto my toshiba laptop M115 S1061. I already downloaded a driver and went through the installation wizard and it still is not working. Please Help, I will be eagerly waiting a response

A:Installing wifi connection on my laptop

Is there by chance a switch on the laptop you need to turn on?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-wifi-connection-on-my-laptop.198286/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have an hp pavilion and I just installed a usb card by myself and felt proud that I got it in but when I turned my computer on and inserted the usb card drive disk the optical drive had disappeared from my computer. The optical drive still opens but it keeps automatically closing after about 1 second of it being open. Please help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tried-installing-usb-card-and-broke-optical-drive.198242/
Relevancy 20.21%

I bought an Asus H87M-E. I can't install 3 X 3TB hard drive Raid 5 on this board. It is a new board, I can't find Bois update. I created the Raid5. the O/S displays the drives with different sizes 2048, 745, 1875GB. I have no idea what is happening! Tech support said it is windows problem, But I don't buy that. I broke the raid and try to install the O/S on a single drives, but the O/S recognize it as 745GB.

A:Windows 7 - Installing 3TB Drives

Windows normally accept only 2 terabyte in re installing the windows you should make a partition for your new 3TB hdd.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-installing-3tb-drives.198158/
Relevancy 20.21%

My motherboard is a Z77 Asrok Extreme 6.

It has four dimm slots. I have One kit of 8 gigabyte memory from Gskill that is DDR3. 'dual channel' (11-11-11-28) PC 2133.

If I get another kit of 8 gig from ANOTHER vendor and its different timings can I put them into the alternate slots and have it work? Say I buy Corsair (9-9-9-9) PC 1600. Would the two kits work against each other since they are different timings? Is this NOT recommended?

Here is another better question. What if I buy the exact same memory from Gskill and drop them in as well? So I have two kits of dual channel 8 gig ram for a total of 16 gigs. Both kits would be same type/speed and latency. Will this work or do I need to use 'quad channel'?

Edited for spelling.

A:Question about installing memory modules

Larsenex said:

If I get another kit of 8 gig from ANOTHER vendor and its different timings can I put them into the alternate slots and have it work? Say I buy Corsair (9-9-9-9) PC 1600. Would the two kits work against each other since they are different timings? Is this NOT recommended?Click to expand...

I'm thinking that different timings will cause issues with Dual Channel functionality. I'm also thinking that Dual Channel only functions if all modules can operate in dual mode. If you are not planning on operating in Dual Channel mode, I don't think it matters. However the modules should operate with the same timing, if they are to be linked together.

Anyway without actually knowing for sure, those are my thoughts.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-installing-memory-modules.196451/
Relevancy 24.08%

So earlier today I was going to a friends so decided to put my laptop in hibernate mode I have used this before with no problems but stopped Laptop working when I got back and opened the lid of my laptop nothing happened I tried moving the mouse and pressing the power button although I ve never Laptop stopped working had to do this before it always comes on when I open the lid the power light came on but no fans no sign of the screen coming on I tried holding down the power button to turn it off although the power light still stayed on I removed the battery and put it back in and got the same problem power light on but nothing else I tried taking out the battery and using my charger still got the same problem I am using windows and a couple year old Toshiba laptop cant remember name at the moment but if needed I could probably find out Any help ideas are greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Laptop stopped working

Sounds like the motherboard has fried...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-stopped-working.195220/
Relevancy 24.08%

So I have a inch mac mid Its a Mac OS X Lion So I bought this hard disk Samsung gb ST a year or two ago and then did the correct formatting so it could run on the mac This summer I took it off my mac for about a month and now I felt like listening to Wilko s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and realized it was on the hard disk so I put it back on and now its not showing up It was fine before I tried going in disk utilities and it shows up there so I verified it and although it didn t notify me for any repairments I still clicked on working on stopped Hard disk mac My repair and it didn t help Theres a lot more info there then just that album a whole lot of great movies tv shows and a big library of great music that I was looking forward to get back into as well as a couple programs also plug ins for my My Hard disk stopped working on mac ableton so now I cant open up my projects either So I really don t wanna format it Any help will be greatly appreciated theres a lot of info on this hard disk nbsp

A:My Hard disk stopped working on mac

In Disk Utility, does the disk show a partition? If so, highlight that partition, and then in the bottom left of that window there will be a blue clickable 'link'. Click that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hard-disk-stopped-working-on-mac.195829/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hey all having some graphics card problems and would appreciate any help I built two identical computers for my parents from spare driver? graphics screen after installing Black parts and some new components just to give them something to use until they can buy something newer Both work fine with the onboard graphics but video Black screen after installing graphics driver? play back Black screen after installing graphics driver? performance is obviously low very choppy Trying to install an upgraded graphics card and does the same thing in both systems System specs Dell Optiplex GX Windows XP home SP GHz Pentium GB ram Onboard graphics is Black screen after installing graphics driver? Intel G Graphics card I m trying to install is a PNY VCG APG This is a Nvidia Geforce card ddr mb x AGP interface Should mention the card was new last winter and hasn t been installed in any other PC s When I install the card and boot up it shows the specs of the graphics card in the upper left corner Goes through the normal bios and windows boot screens Windows opens in a low res graphics mode says found new hardware etc etc loads nvidia driver from windows update and prompts a reboot After the reboot it goes through the load screens again and shows the windows boot screen with the progress bar for about seconds then just goes black Monitor says quot no signal quot and goes into stand by If I restart in safe mode I get a signal back and can open windows but in low res of course Tried updating driver with the newest one from nvidia s website and no go Does the same thing All other drivers on the system are up to date Tried going into the bios setup too integrated devices-- gt primary video controller gives option for quot auto quot or quot AGP quot when the card is plugged in With the card removed it gives quot auto quot or quot onboard quot options Tried setting it to AGP and still nothing Help nbsp

A:Black screen after installing graphics driver?

Did you get this fixed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-after-installing-graphics-driver.194843/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi I have a HP Laptop it?s but with newish software running vista. Its all been working fine form about a year or so. The other day some of the keys stopped working, I have not dropped it or spilled anything on it. I turned it and when I tried to go back in to it, it came up with the black BIOS screen. However as the keys were not working it would not let me select anything (i.e safe mode) it times down to open in the already highlighted section which was rum window as normal (or something like that) it then gave a blue screen and said it was doing a crash dump. After this it went back to the black BIOS screen and repeated the whole thing. Its stuck in some sort of loop. I don?t have any disks to reinstall what can I do???

A:Laptop keys stopped working and now I can use BIOS

I'm going to have your thread moved to a more appropriate hardware forum. Consider the possibility tat the keyboard may be defective and you may have to replace it. That is no problem- I just replaced mine.

Stay subscribed so you'll know when you get reply.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keys-stopped-working-and-now-i-can-use-bios.171636/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi everyone was hoping I could get some help here I m External stopped with Drive working has Hard windows a pretty advanced user so I External Hard Drive has stopped working with windows ve already done the usual troubleshooting and everything but my problem persists I have a TB external Hard drive that I ve been using for like months I ve never had any problems with it until now It suddenly decided to stop working on windows I ve tried it on around different windows PCs and laptops ranging from XP to windows and it doesnt work on any of them It does however work perfectly well on Ubuntu This has led me to believe that there is either a windows-specific virus on it or something I have opened it up and connect it via SATA cable as well so its not the casing When the hard drive is plugged in the light is on and a new drive Local Disk E shows but it should be called Touro and I can t do anything with the drive if I click on it windows explorer freezes When I open Disk Management it sticks on quot Connecting to Virtual Disk quot something but never ever loads but the second I take the drive out it continues to load and works normally I have scanned the entire drive took a day and found no threats so I am completely stumped Basically I either need someone to tell me the exact problem and a way to fix it without formatting my drive or alternative ways around it Thanks in advance nbsp

A:External Hard Drive has stopped working with windows

What file system does the drive use?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-has-stopped-working-with-windows.194722/
Relevancy 24.08%

I don't know why but some games that I play have no audio. I go in the settings of the games and its not the game itself. I think its my computer and I'm not sure if its some settings that got put on some how. One thing im confused about is, it's not all the games, some do have sound but its not the ones I play the most. What should I do?

Games I play are, Without sound: StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod (or simplified my Valve and Blizzard games)
With sound: Terraria, Realm Of The Mad God,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/audio-for-some-games-stopped-working.194687/
Relevancy 24.08%

My son was using my computer temporarily for work. He was uninstalling Abobe Illustrator and needed to restart to complete the uninstall. When the computer restarted, the monitor ceased to get a signal from the computer. Have tried unplugging the monitor for a bit, tried restarting in safe mode - nothing has worked. Has the monitor somehow been fried from just a restart?

A:Monitor stopped working after uninstall

Really I don't think it fried from a restart. It just may have went bad. Have you tried another monitor to make sure. It could also be your on board Graphics or graphics card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-stopped-working-after-uninstall.194220/
Relevancy 20.64%

I bought two 2GB Memory Ram for my Lenovo IdeaCentre K300. I'm trying to find instructions on how to install them. But all I keep running into is where to buy them. Can anybody give me some easy to follow instructions? I'm hoping it's as simple as opening up the computer looking at the 2 full slots and putting the 2 new ones in the same way. being real careful that you don't bend or break anything. Thanks

A:Installing more memory

circusboy01 said:

I bought two 2GB Memory Ram for my Lenovo IdeaCentre K300. I'm trying to find instructions on how to install them. But all I keep running into is where to buy them. Can anybody give me some easy to follow instructions? I'm hoping it's as simple as opening up the computer looking at the 2 full slots and putting the 2 new ones in the same way. being real careful that you don't bend or break anything. ThanksClick to expand...

Don't know if this will help, but hopefully it will http://www.wikihow.com/Install-RAM

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-more-memory.193227/
Relevancy 19.78%

I recently installed the hyper 212 evo on my core i7 3770k at stock frequency after some trouble. My temps after 25mins of prime 95 are 47 C from asus AI suite and core temp the temps are 63, 60, 67, 69. This is at full load during prime 95.

Is the cooler mounted correctly and are my temps good for overclocking?

The cooler fan rpm are 850-900.

A:Core i7-3770k temps high after installing Hyper 212 Evo?

What voltage are you using? Stock voltage is usually way too high, try undervolting as much as you can without getting BSODs and you should see temps drop. But at the moment they don't look too excessive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/core-i7-3770k-temps-high-after-installing-hyper-212-evo.185345/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi,

I have had an Iomega external hard for a year now and it used to work perfectly, until suddenly, my computer (Mac) won't detect it anymore.

When I turn it on, the blue light comes on and I can hear the disk spinning inside, but there is no trace of any external device connected to my mac. I've connected through USB and Firewire with no success. Going to disk utility, only my internal hard drive appears.

It simply just stopped showing up on my computer. Does anybody have any advice to get my hard drive working again?

A:Iomega External Hard Drive stopped being detected

Try a different usb & firewire port physically on your mac & try a different cable. If no dice try it on a different mac or even on a PC, see if the other computer detects it. many times w/ external hard drives the enclosure fails but the drive is ok. worse case scenario the enclosure is bad & you can remove drive to put in another enclosure, or the whole thing could be hosed. try this, post back. thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/iomega-external-hard-drive-stopped-being-detected.192596/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a problem with my desktop PC The USB ports are not working so I can t use my keyboard or mouse I m not sure if it has any connection with this but today I tried installing a SSD to my system with no luck While doing that I set the BIOS to AHCI as I read that would be the most optimal Well I kept getting errors trying to install Win to the SSD so I decided to save it for a later time Then I turned off my PC unplugged the SSD and plugged my HDD back in On boot up I entered BIOS and set settings to default After this my USB ports stopped working I have tried turning off my system unplugging the powercord and the CMOS battery for at least minutes with no luck I have also tried plugging my keyboard into every single USB port my PC has I can t even enter BIOS or press F to enter safe mode now Any suggestions stopped USB ports working I m using WinXP and my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA- A-UD nbsp USB ports stopped working

A:USB ports stopped working

Borrow or purchase a ps2 kb. Enter BIOS and enable USB KB/Mouse. I'm not sure it is called exactly that, but it is something similar that you will be able to find. I too have a Gigabyte motherboard (older than yours even) and have had problems with it liking USB kb inputs until I explicitly set that in the BIOS. What is weird is sometimes USB will work if that isn't set, or sometimes it will half-*** work, as in I could get into the BIOS or force the boot selection menu, but then the kb wouldn't work.

So bottom line is, I know what you are describing, but I don't know of a good fix, outside of just acquiring a ps2 kb which will get you out of this situation 100% of the time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-stopped-working.191629/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello,
I have a problem with SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio on my HP - nc6220 laptop, WinXP professional sp2.

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio just stopped working, I tried reinstalling it but it always says that there was a problem during installation and it might not work properly.

In Control Panel>Sounds and Audio devices it's all grayed out so I cannot do anything there.
In device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark, I tried disable-enable but it does not help.
I also tried updating the driver, re-enabling windows audio in services, even reinstalled Windows and installing sp3.

Also I tried an USB sound card and it is working well.

Is there anything else I could do, or maybe SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is just broken and cannot be fixed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/soundmax-integrated-digital-audio-stopped-working.190808/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi
I am using a iomega prestige external hard drive. I have uses this for years with no problem. All of a sudden it as stopped working. It shows up in the listed devices but is inaccessible. It shows up as drive e in the device management. I have assigned another drive letter but with no success. I have removed and reinstalled with no success. It just will not show up in the my computer part. The drive makes no noise and the light does not flash but is receiving power. When I removed the item it did reinstall again no joy. I am now worrying as I have important data on it. My virus scanner also recognises the device and when I run this it finds nothing to scan. Can anyone help?

A:Iomega Prestige external hard drive stopped working

Use the Disk Manager to view the partition - - there should be some info if you click on the device. If not, the partition damaged.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/iomega-prestige-external-hard-drive-stopped-working.190614/
Relevancy 23.65%

Everything was working fine for a few weeks now it just refuses to connect I ve tried Internet stopped working, unidentified network MULTIPLE fixes for this problem but just cant seem to get it back and running again Im using a Linksys Wireless Gaming WGA G Ver which has always worked in the past amp was originally working on the PC until it randomly stopped All my other devices PC s can connect just fine I have a Netgear Router amp A Motorolla Modem both up to date PLEASE HELP THIS IS FRUSTRATING I ve tried -Resetting Router Modem Multiple Times -Changing Router Frequency from to -Changing MAC Address -Deleted Norton Antivirus -Deleted Bonjour -Tried Windows Repair -Tried System Restore to when it worked Nothing seems to be working Heres my ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Frostymcburg-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Internet stopped working, unidentified network Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R DC- Gigabit Network Connection Physical Address - F-E - - B-A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ef ab ad e Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - E- B- A- - F-E - - B-A DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap D - C- - E -A DF DC Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:Internet stopped working, unidentified network

chris iagallo said:

Everything was working fine for a few weeks, now it just refuses to connect. I've tried MULTIPLE fixes for this problem but just cant seem to get it back and running again.

Im using a Linksys Wireless Gaming WGA54G Ver. 2.1 which has always worked..... I have a Netgear Router & A Motorolla Modem. both up to date. PLEASE HELP!!! THIS IS FRUSTRATING!Click to expand...

So how are these wired? Like this?

Code:
ISP==> Motorolla --->NetGear--->WGA54g ??
(copy and correct if necessary)

I've tried:
-Resetting Router/Modem Multiple Times
-Changing Router Frequency from 6 to 11
-Changing MAC Address
-Deleted Norton Antivirus
-Deleted Bonjour
-Tried Windows Repair
-Tried System Restore to when it worked

Nothing seems to be working....Click to expand...

good try, but Bonjour is useful
WHAT VERSION OF WINDOWS? XP, Vista, Win/7

Heres my ipconfig /all:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Frostymcburg-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid << great
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-E2-56-5B-A8
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::25ef:53ab:67ad:9e20%11(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.158.32(Preferred) << this is the bug
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889186
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-4E-5B-4A-00-1F-E2-56-5B-A8
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 << these fail because IPv4 failed
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
-----
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

You LAN connection is via ethernet cable and it can not find the router TO WHICH IT IS ATTACHED.

*unplug the Wireless Gaming WGA54G until the wired works.
power off the modem
power off the Netgear
*unplug the Wireless Gaming WGA54G until the wired works.
disconnect the computer from the router
Now wait 30-40 seconds between each of the following steps:
power up the modem
power up the Netgear
reconnect the computer to the netgear

get a command prompt and enter IPCONFIG

cope the results of the Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: section and stop just short of Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling
come back here and paste the results

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-stopped-working-unidentified-network.190284/
Relevancy 23.22%

I was playing Dard siders Suddenly I got a call in my mobile So I left the game running w o pausing and attended the call Suddenly I saw my monitor screen went off I checked the power connections VGA cable connection b w the monitor amp the CPU They were all fine I just can t see anything in the monitor The monitor 7750 HD fan display working & 1GB) (Powercolor Radeon No stopped LED is showing the status of quot no I p quot LED going on amp off I got confused and tried forced shutdown amp restarted the machine Everything is perfectly normal Even the beep sound from CPU But still there is no No display & fan stopped working (Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB) display I was wondering whether the problem could be with the graphics card And later I confirmed it I found it lying dead inside the cabinet The fan is not running Hence I changed the VGA cable from the GPU port to Motherboard VGA port I saw the machine is ready for login in the monitor screen Therefore I decided that there is no issues any other components inside the cabinet I still had a doubt in the PCI slot of the motherboard Hence I swapped the GPU with another standy GPU ati radeon hd which I was using before I got the display from this card too Finally I concluded that the problem is with GPU only I was shocked since I bought this card for - INR last month No display & fan stopped working (Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB) only Even I changed My PSU which provides Watts added GB of additional RAM amp a additonal CPU fan I still dont understand what has caused this failure I removed the card to see any H W faults But there is nothing in No display & fan stopped working (Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB) the card It still looks good When I reseat the card amp turn the power on The fan starts to rotate amp stops immediately spins less than quarter of sec Can anybody suggest any troubleshooting which can be done from my side Or please explain what has happened nbsp

A:No display & fan stopped working (Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB)

Could not really tell you why the card went bad, But they do sometimes. If you have a warranty on it . I would send it back for a replacement. Seeing as it not your main board . All your other video graphics work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-display-fan-stopped-working-powercolor-radeon-hd-7750-1gb.186625/
Relevancy 23.65%

There is some problem with my font USB ports. All was fine until yesterday when they stopped working. I havent made any hardware change. Installed windows 8 but that was last week.

I connect my Logitech Gamepad, the LED switches on but it doesnt show up in the control panel, works when connected to the rear USB port.

Please help..

A:Front USB ports suddenly stopped working

You might have to open up your case, trace back the cable, and re-plug it. It could be detached, or the USB controller on the front ports could be fried somehow too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/front-usb-ports-suddenly-stopped-working.189467/
Relevancy 22.79%

Help!!! yesterday it still working but today,no sounds come out from the speaker,I used headset to test it and it's work,but when I unplug my headset it still no sound,I already try to reboot using safe mode but getting confused.. what can I do???
f.y.I : I already check the sound driver,no question marks appeared.

A:My Acer Aspire 4741G laptop sounds suddenly stopped working

"I already checked the sound driver, no question marks appeared"... Do you mean no exclamation points like this (!)? If you can hear normal sound from the headset the sound driver is okay. This could be caused by a keyboard setting. Make sure the sound is all the way up and that it is not muted

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-acer-aspire-4741g-laptop-sounds-suddenly-stopped-working.189508/
Relevancy 24.08%

I was using the internet on my laptop and the conection went off for a few seconds. After that, I couldn't access the router anymore, not even by cable. So I tried, te basic turn it on and off and I could access it by cable, but the wireless is still not working on my laptop. I checked if the wireless board was properly configured and everything seems alright.
I think the problem is on the laptop because the wireless works on my phone and tablet!

A:Wireless stopped working on my laptop

Is there by chance a switch you might of accidently flipped or a set of keys you accidently touched that tripped it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-stopped-working-on-my-laptop.189738/
Relevancy 20.21%

My computer constantly restarts after I install new ram My specs are Dell Precision Intel Pentium D Computer new RAM restarts after installing GHz MB L Cache GB DDR SODIMM recently upgraded MHz unbuffered non-ECC ATI Radeon HD MB GDDR GB SATA HDD RPM Windows XP dual boot Dynex w Power I had x mb DDR ECC RAM before and upgraded to x GB DDR SODIMM for performance upgrade The problem is that my computer constantly restarts The first time Computer restarts after installing new RAM I installed the RAM I got to boot into windows but my color and resolution was messed up I haven t been able to boot into windows either xp or I updated my graphics driver and BIOS from A to A and still no change Some people are saying to change the RAM voltage but I don t know how My BIOS doesn t have such a feature or option PLEASE I need help purchased these sticks for I don t want the feeling that I got ripped off or scammed Many thanks nbsp

A:Computer restarts after installing new RAM

Maybe the wrong ram for your mother board. Did you check before you bought the ram to see what the specs were for the ram. Run a scan on the computer with your old memory installed at http:// www.crucial.com/index.asp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-restarts-after-installing-new-ram.189247/
Relevancy 19.78%

Has anyone else been getting this stupid no error message when trying to install WiDi on a recent laptop?
The laptop does originally come with WiDi working perfectly but as I am in the school department we are running a custom windows 7 32x Pro OS.
The specs are:
i5-3320m CPU (HD4000)
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN Wireless apapter

A:Issues installing WiDi on Dell Latitude E6230

You have to make sure that the WiDi driver is compatible with this laptops hardware. If it is, the internal WiDi adapter may be bad

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/issues-installing-widi-on-dell-latitude-e6230.189208/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hey I m not sure where to start but a while ago I bought a desktop and a monitor and they are black Screen after card a installing graphics goes while after new Desk Top Newegg com - Acer Aspire AX -UR P PT SG P Desktop PC Athlon II X GHz GB DDR GB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce SE Windows Home Premium -Bit Monitor newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E But the graphics card that came Screen goes black after a while after installing new graphics card with the computer sucked it simply doesn t support D games So I went ahead and bought this graphics card Graphics Card Newegg com - GIGABYTE GV-N SL- GI GeForce GT Fermi GB -bit DDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card Here note that the maximum power my computer has is W but the graphics card needs at least W for it to run So I bought this power supply unit Power Supply Newegg com - Antec VP- W ATX V v Power Supply Here s the story After I bought my computer and the monitor I bought the graphics card It took me a while to figure out how to install it but I worked my way out and installed it So I followed the general guide to installing graphics card remove driver first install card the computer didn t have a card so the pci slots were empty then I started my computer and tried to install the new driver with the disc that came with the graphics card The first time it went so well that I thought it s gonna work but after a while the screen suddenly goes back and on the top right corner it says quot VGA then DVI quot It s the screen you get when the monitor isn t plugged into a desktop So after that I went to look at my computer and the card and I found out the card needs more power it needs W but the computer has W So I bought a W power supply unit also took me a while because my case is micro ATX board I have to leave the power supply unit outside the case So after I installed the power supply and the graphics card the first time trying to install the driver also went pretty smooth but the screen then went black after a while So I m wondering what exactly I should do I m pretty sure the power supply is working Atm I m using the power supply but not the card and I can run my computer fine Addition details When I tried to uninstall the original graphics card driver it kept automatically installing itself when I restart Could that be why But after I uninstalled it I switched to the VGA port on the new graphics card but it still didn t work I have my directx updated to version Please if you re confused about anything I said tell me which part you didn t understand and I ll try my best to describe it Thank you for your time Ads by Google nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-goes-black-after-a-while-after-installing-new-graphics-card.188703/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have windows xp on my netbook. I manually removed the Internet Security 2012 virus. I checked and my tcp/ip is running but my netbt has stopped. When I go to
start>run>regedit
HKLM/system/current control set/services
NETBT is missing completely
Can anyone help me please. I cannot connect to the internet. I am pulling all 00000's

A:How to fix netbt stopped

The Netbt is NetBIOS over TCP and used for accessing systems on your LAN, not the internet per se.
You should be able to use email / browsers without netbt. Suggest you start by issuing IPCONFIG /ALL
and ensure your tcp settngs are correct.

In the meanwhile, I'll refer you to How to reinstall NetBIOS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-fix-netbt-stopped.188656/
Relevancy 24.08%

I tried looking around for a solution but can't seem to find anyone with a similar issue to mine. I just bought an ASUS usb n53 wireless adapter. I was previously using a Rosewill wireless adapter just before I installed the new one and everything with my connection was fine. After I downloaded the drivers off the disc and tried to open the utility program for the adapter I get this message: Wireless Lan Control Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Not sure what I need to do at this point. Thanks in advance for the help. Just let me know any info you need for me and I'll post back asap.

A:Wireless adapter has stopped working

I tried going to the ASUS website and downloading newer versions of the utility and drivers but to no avail. I also tried turning off my anti virus software but that didnt work either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-adapter-has-stopped-working.188388/
Relevancy 20.64%

Just purchased a new modem to replace TWCs 'rental'. I plugged it in, restarted my computer and screwed everything up lol.

I tried calling TWC but was on hold forever. Not sure they do the 24/7 thing anymore...

I plugged my old modem back in, did a restart, I'm back online, but my homepage and FaceBook 'favorite link' are messed up. (Chrome)
It says http://www.facebook.com/ap_index and seems like it's refreshing again and again. Same with my homepage. http://www.49erswebzone.com/ap_index I hit 'stop', take out the ap_index and try again, same thing.

What do I need to do to get the new router working and get my pages back to normal?

Also wondering what kinda speed increase I'll see (ubee 2.0 vs Motorola surfboard 3.0) when I get up and running?

Thanks!

A:Installing a new modem

FB is back to normal...homepage (webzone) still messed up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-a-new-modem.188305/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello.
I am considering installing 2 new harddrives.
1.Agility 3 OCZ Solid State Drive 120gb
2.Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 7200 rpm

I am currently on a WDC WD3200JD-22KLB0 320gb

Both the new harddrives are sata3,6gb/sec

Can I use both new drives,with no reduction in performance ?
Mainly for online gaming.

A:Installing new drives in HP Compaq dc7600

In a word... Yes, are you going to set the 2 drives in a RAID array?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-new-drives-in-hp-compaq-dc7600.186404/
Relevancy 19.78%

I've just installed Corsair H60 liquid cooling and when I tried booting my computer up, after 5 seconds or so, everything stops. It happens every time I tried to boot the computer up.
My monitor was black and nothing appeared.
For 2 seconds before the entire system stops, the fan gets very noisy. And for the entire time the computer was booting up, my gpu's fan was even noisier than when I was playing my games.
I cannot get to BIOS or anything.
Why is this happening?

Cooling system: Cosair H60
Cpu: Intel I5 760
GPU: ATI 5770
Mobo: Gigabyte Ga-H55M-UD2H
PSU: 600W Max - 700W

A:PC doesn't work after installing Corsair H60 liquid cooling

You may have a short someplace between the motherboard and the case, or you may have bent the motherboard while installing the CPU cooler. I'd take the cooler out and replace it with the stock cooler and try again to see it the board still works. If it does I'd try the H60 again, but I'd make sure the motherboard wasn't under any extra stress from it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-doesnt-work-after-installing-corsair-h60-liquid-cooling.178522/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi guys,
I am running ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard. SOCKET 940 ON xp
Ive installed a Gigabyte HD 7770 Graphics card. I installed it according to instructions. The card is getting power but after installing it with the CD that came with it, it keeps saying cant detect drivers for this device.This is obvious because of the display Im getting.
Wouldnt be a compatability problem could it.?

Any ideas guys
Rob777

A:Functioning error after installing video card

Hey Rob, pardon me but I'm a little confused of what you've said. It says here that you have the ASUS M2N68-AM Plus Motherboard and yet, it still on the classified Socket 940? Not to mention that mobo is running both Socket AM2/AM2+ already. That's a long road for that architecture.

Therefore, you shouldn't be having problems with that Radeon HD 7770 of yours, because it's totally compatible with that motherboard; Unless you have checked inside the system unit if it has been connected properly.

Give me a full spec of your system so that I might help you further. Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/functioning-error-after-installing-video-card.179902/
Relevancy 20.21%

Ok so as stated above I am new to this. I have installed memory before but that is it. I am planning on buying a new graphics card for my computer. Because I hear a integrated graphics card is not so good. But I am unsure what I am able to install! Please help me out.

My model copmuter from the manufacturers website
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03135882#N66

A:Newcomer to installing hardware

Integrated graphics...good or bad...depends on what you plan on doing. If you can post your budget, games/software you plan on running then I'm sure someone will be able to find what you need.

I see that your computer has a 300W PSU, depends on the graphics card, you might need to upgrade that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/newcomer-to-installing-hardware.184563/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have an old computer that I baught in around 06-07 and I made the rather stupid mistake of installing a usb upside down. After this there was a burnt smell and my computer shut down. I was wondering what went wrong inside the computer and about how much it would cost to fix it. I have been going through computers really fast and I really don't want to buy a new one. Help?

A:Burnt smell after installing USB backward

I would think you burned out the USB connector. If it was on the motherboard, You may have to replace the whole board. If it was on the front of the case. You may get lucky and be able to disconnect it. It is really hard to say what it would cost you till . You try to repair it. It is possible it my have short out other things to. . Well hold on somebody here might be able to help you out more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burnt-smell-after-installing-usb-backward.183818/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have had my ASUS G51VX laptop for a couple years now and it's still going strong. However, just recently the built-in SD card reader has stopped reading cards for some reason. When I pop in a card Windows will make the sound that a USB device has been plugged in and then a couple seconds later it will make the unplugged sound. The "Removable Storage Device" does not show up in Computer. I've tried looking through the Device Manager to find the card reader and re-install the driver, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I suppose it is one of the USB controllers. I've also tried multiple SD cards so I know it's not the card.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

A:Asus laptop card reader stopped working

Don't know If this will help, but I had a similar problem with my laptop (not ASUS though). I tried everything, ended up re-installing windows, which fixed it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-laptop-card-reader-stopped-working.183557/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hewlett Packard
Compaq Presario SR 1000 SR1639UK
Product EK350AA-ABU
Microsoft Window XP
Home Edition
Version 2002, Service Pack 3
2.19Ghz, 1.00GB of RAM

ACPI Uniprocessor PC
AMD Athlon ? 64 Processor 3700+
NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache?

Hello, I wish to upgrade my PC with more RAM. Understand that upgrading RAM is easy.
Can any one guide me on how to carry this out.
Is it worth it considering the make and model??

A:Advise regarding installing more memory

Windows XP Home SP3 on a single core 2.2Ghz processor should run fine on 1GB of memory. Considering the cost of "DDR400 PC3200" I wouldn't upgrade, unless you absolutely needed more memory for a specific reason.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advise-regarding-installing-more-memory.183301/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello, I have a Dell Precision M4500 laptop which stopped recognizing the battery a couple months back. I have had the laptop for one year now with absolutely no problems up until this happened. I am pretty sure the battery is still good, it's not that old, but since the computer wont even recognize it is in, there's no way to check if it can charge. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, maybe there is a fix before I have to shell out the money for a new battery.

A:Dell Precision M4500 stopped recognizing battery

Laptop batteries go bad any time, and they are considered to be "consumable" like paper is to a printer. Replace the battery and you should be okay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-precision-m4500-stopped-recognizing-battery.182128/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey,

I was listening to music and my JBL II (2.1) speakers stopped working all of a sudden (they didn't make any special noise before they went dead), and their lights went off.
The light on the Sub-woofer is on, however.
I tried unplugging and replugging all power cables from and to the system, and all of the related computer cables. Also tried restarting the computer.
Nothing seems to work.

I've read on a similar thread that it might be the fuse blown out or the amp overheated.
How can I find out what's the problem, and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

A:JBL speakers stopped working

ok check the fuse in the plug I think it should be 5amp so take another one from another lead somewhere to test . also leave for 20 minutes let amp cool down then try if works then amp over heating .. make sure unplugged both ends when checking fuse.. if still not working then look in device manager make sure these is no yellow exclamation marks .. go to start computer system properties hardware device manager if there is let us know .. hope this been helpful but someone more experienced might be able to offer better advice

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/jbl-speakers-stopped-working.182404/
Relevancy 23.22%

I ve been trying to fix it for over days now showing stopped External Computer drive My hard in up and I tried lots of things but nothing seems to work so I hope that you can help me System Info If Needed - - Operation System Windows Ultimate SP -Bit - Motherboard Asus Sabertooth P PCI PCI-E x PCI-E x DDR DIMM Audio Gigabit LAN IEEE- - CPU QuadCore Intel Core i - K MHz x - Memory MB DDR - DDR SDRAM - Disk Drive WDC WD EARS- J B GB SATA-II - GPU ATI Radeon HD - USB Ports - USB Ports Problem - My external hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer but it was working fine before Possible Causes - - I think quot And I m NOT Sure quot this happened after I Unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer Hardware quot I m Totally aware that unplugging it while it s in use could damage it but when I tried to quot Safely Remove It quot it told me quot Windows can t stop your device Because a program is still using it quot and I was in External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer a hurry so I unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove Hardware quot - Few Days before it stop working it was getting slower and sometimes it hangs External Hard Drive Condition - - it s Samsung S Portable GB - I think I External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer bought it from about - years ago - It s out of warranty - I m Not using it that much maybe - hours per day and sometimes I don t use it at all for several days weeks - Content all my family pictures amp videos NO backup anywhere else I thought it would be safer here in case any damage happened to my desktop hard drive but i Guess I was wrong - No Physical Damage - When I plug it I hear it spinning and it s light is on - I hear a weird intermittent constant quot Sound quot and it s NOT loud MAYBE It s a quot Clicking quot sound But I m not sure Things I Tried - - I checked All USB Ports and it s all working fine with other devices - It Doesn t show up in quot Disk Management quot So solutions related to quot Disk Management quot Won t work - I Cleaned up and removed old USB storage drivers and replugged it but it didn t work - I connected it to another PC it didn t work there too - I tried Different quot USB Cable quot - I was always checking it with quot BitDefender Total Security quot For Viruses or any kind of infections and it was clean - I tried to check it for errors but as it s not recognized I can t check it - I was Defragmenting it with quot DisKeeper quot from time to time - I tried to use quot Ultimate Boot CD UBCD v quot to recover the data and i used this Guide quot How to Create an Image of a Crashed Hard Drive using the UBCD dd-rescue and P eXplorer quot and when I reached to quot Step - Identifying your Hard Drive quot I couldn t Identify it and I couldn t know it quot Path quot because it wasn t showing up in quot Mount Devices quot window because as I said It s not recognized So What I m Asking For Is - - Is there a way to fix my External Hard Drive and make it work again If Not - Is there a way to make it recognizable so i can recover the data using quot DD-Rescue quot If Not - Is there any other way to recover the data from my External Hard Drive and - I tried to open my External Hard Drive quot case quot but I couldn t and I was afraid to go any farther So i Don t damage it So is there any safe way to open it Thanks nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer

"I hear a weird intermittent constant "Sound" and it's NOT loud, MAYBE It's a "Clicking" sound, But I'm not sure."

Maybe a soft click or a sliding sound? The drive should normally do nothing more than hum.

"I connected it to another PC, it didn't work there too."

Dang it didn't past the test here either. When things go wrong in my computers I often try them in another machine. If it works in the second machine then I know it's still working. If it doesn't work in the second machine then I usually consider the device dead. I'd try a third machine if you have that resource.

If the data are that important I'd consult a data recovery specialist.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-showing-up-in-my-computer.178952/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a old computer running windows XP I tried to update the driver so that I could play minecraft but i didn t know the type of card I had So in order to find out the model of the graphics card so I could download new drivers I pulled it out and wrote down My new card won't after computer start video a installing the model type I put it back in wrong so it didn t work After a few tries I put in a new video card and tired that I always get stuck at the point where it says quot New hardware or software has caused the computer to have trouble starting Start in safe mode start with command prompt start at last working way or something like that start windows normally quot Now I have no working video card and don t know what to do Old Video Card XFXGeforce e MX New Video Card I don t know it says nothing on it and wasn t in its original box Also I dont care witch card goes in Ask me if you need anything else nbsp

A:My computer won't start after installing a new video card

Does this computer have on-board video? On-board means part of the motherboard and not a separate card... If it does, try to connect the monitor to that video output

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-wont-start-after-installing-a-new-video-card.178773/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hey everyone I ve officially got THE worst luck with technology EVER Today my Western Digital GB External HDD has stopped working One minute it s working fine - the next its completely unresponsive I deleted suddenly External hard working drive stopped a music folder off the hard drive that wouldnt play and I dont know if that s been the cause of it to become External hard drive suddenly stopped working unstable When I plug it in via USB I can feel the disk spinning inside and loading but the windows sound does not play About - minutes later I get the sound but it does not appear under Hard Disk Drives on My Computer When I External hard drive suddenly stopped working try to go into device manager it crashes windows explorer After a couple of attempts the name is now quot Local Disk I and not even Elements After about - minutes of being plugged in the drive clicks and won t do anything else I REALLY need some of the work off the hard drive - It s External hard drive suddenly stopped working so important to my second year at university Any help you can give me I will be eternally grateful Call me a but I usually back up my work via dropbox anyway but theres some bits I didnt back up yet and it s so important I get them I ve looked at getting a universal drive adaptor but i ve heard about data recovery software but there seem to be so many out there - If my hard drive isnt completely screwed could someone reccomend me one or give me some advice Thanks in advance nbsp

A:External hard drive suddenly stopped working

have you tried unplugging the drive power adapter for a minute and plugging it back in?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-suddenly-stopped-working.178166/
Relevancy 23.22%

I had this memory stick for a while, and its been working fine. It has a lot of my important college work on it too. Just a few days ago it randomly stopped working. I've tried it on all computers I can and none of them recognised it, and it didn't pop up in 'My Computer'.
The best reaction I got was on this laptop, where it said it was processing, but then said that I did not have a suitable driver software or something like that. Please help, I have a lot of work on it .

A:7dayshop USB memory stick randomly stopped working?

A lot of them quit just because they have been dropped more than 12 inches.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/7dayshop-usb-memory-stick-randomly-stopped-working.177490/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a dual screen set up, a 22" 1680x1050 as my main, and an 18" 1280x1024 as my left side monitor. My left monitor has worked fine since the day I started using it, and last night I shut my computer down it was still working fine.

However this morning when I turned on my computer, it was all colours and lines, not even a hint of what it should be displaying, and its not my computer, because when it's not connected to my computer, it doesnt even say "no signal" just shows these colours/lines, the menu doesnt come up either, so somehow the physical screen seems to have broken over night I've done nothing to it, no impacts or anything.

Does anyone have any idea what's caused this? or what I can do to fix it?

Many thanks, it's a lovely screen and would hate to see it go

A:Monitor stopped working over night :(

My old monitor used to do that. When it happened, I just do the most basic thing. Unplug the power adapter, the video connector, plug back it in, and normally that's all it takes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-stopped-working-over-night.176780/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi guys, bought a new PC recently and got everything set up fine, except the GPU.

Its all installed correctly but when I go to install the drivers from either Windows Update or the given CD and restart to save changes, I lose video signal.

I see the boot screen and Windows 7 loading bar, afterwards my screen says "Mode not supported".

I'm using the Nvidia 560 Ti and my screen is a Samsung LE19R86BD.

Is the installation possibly switching to 1080 while my monitor isn't supporting it?

A:No video signal after installing GPU software/drivers

I've read that there are times when the driver can't properly read the EDID data from the TV, and causes display problem. Can you boot into safe mode, change the display setting to 1440x900, then reboot into normal mode? Looks like your nVidia card has both HDMI & DVI connection, maybe try changing connection from one type to the other?

The driver I found on nVidia's site is version 285.62. Is that what you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-video-signal-after-installing-gpu-software-drivers.173192/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have recently cleared my pc of dust and what not. There was no possible way it could have been effected by a static charge however my monitor will no longer work, it justs stays on the orange standby light. It did work previous to this. I have tried other monitors with my PC and they dont work either so it is a problem with the system itself, can anybody tell me what has happened and how i may sort it? Thanks

A:My PC monitor has stopped working

Is it plugged into a graphics card or the motherboard chip? Maybe your graphics card just died, or that your motherboard chip got damaged.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-monitor-has-stopped-working.176075/
Relevancy 19.78%

I just got my new Sapphire Radeon HD6670 graphics card. Along with it I got a new power supply unit as the card required minimum 400 watts. (My computer's stock PSU was 220W) The PSU I got is a Rosewill RD 500-2SB. (500W) So I put in all of the new hardware, booted up the computer and put in the video card driver install CD. About halfway through the driver install my computer froze up. Now I can only log in under safe mode. If I try and start Windows (7) in normal mode when I get to the log-in screen I can't do anything. Frozen curser and the mouse arrow won't move. What can I do? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

A:My computer froze while installing my new video card

I'd log into safe mode and remove all video drivers with Driver Sweeper, and try again. I wouldn't use the drivers off the CD I'd download the newest drivers from AMD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-froze-while-installing-my-new-video-card.175025/
Relevancy 19.35%

My Asus X51H did not come with a wireless card. So, I bought the Intel Pro 3945ABG and installed it. attached is a picture of my card

i have attached the antenna properly. the intel wireless manager can not switch it on and gives the error message (Attachment)

the wireless Fn-F2 does not turn it on and the wireless LED does not light.
this machine does nto have any other external switch for wireless.

i feel thsi is an issue that can be solved by covering one or more pins with a tape as in the case of the following thread:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic18046.html
however, my wireless card has different pin configuration as you can clearly see in the picture. does anyone have any idea which pin to cover with tape?

thanks for the help in advance.
uzbuk

###I have attached the photo of my wireless card and the error message screenshot.

A:Installing Intel Pro 3945ABG Wireless card to Asus X51H laptop

problem solved

my vendor tipped me about the pin to cover with tape. its pin 20.
i covered the pin 20 with scotch tape and put it back into the slot.
the card is working fine.

in case you can't find the pin 20, here is a diagram. the second pin from the notch at the bottom side of the card is pin20
you have to be careful not to cut the board while cutting the tape. covering the pin20 only is a tricky thing. it took to half an hour.
i have attached a pictorial description of the pins.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-intel-pro-3945abg-wireless-card-to-asus-x51h-laptop.169162/
Relevancy 19.78%

Asus Xonar XD driver telling me sound card not plugged in when installing driver

I got myself a Asus Xonar DX, so I hooked erverything up to my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-PH67A-D3-B3) and connected the power cable to my power supply (OCZ StealthXstream II 700W), but when im trying to install the driver I'm getting the message: "Plug the Asus Xonar DX in". I disabled my onboard sound, but I'm getting still the same message. I don't really know what's going on, is the soundcard broken or is it just a minor problem? I pugged the card in a PCIE x1 slot and a pcie x4 slot. Thanks if you can help me with this problem.

Specs: I7 2600
8 Gb RAM

A:Asus Xonar XD not plugged in when installing driver

Did you uninstall your old HD audio driver first?
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=39544

If that doesn't work.....Found some info.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...X&id=20090916085648171&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Xonar_EEPROM_Failure

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-xonar-xd-not-plugged-in-when-installing-driver.175412/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi there A couple of months ago my CD DVD-RW drive stopped Built-in CD/DVD-RW functioning drive stopped working it works physically but when I enter a CD the software will not read it and the corresponding drive in the My Computer screen disappeared However since I found out it stopped working I ve been too lazy to try and fix the problem Today however I made some attempts to retrieve it First off I opened my case I handpicked the hardware ingredients some years ago and had it assembled for me and tried to figure out if any cables were disconnected from the device I m by no means an expert on the subject but I think the drive was still connected properly Next up I checked out my BIOS It said something about a ROM station being disabled but enabling that did not help At the booting options however I found the option quot IDE TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH- J quot which I m guessing must be the drive so my software recognizes the device right Not finding anything else I just checked off quot Return all values to default quot but that did not retrieve the device either Finally I tried switching some devices of on and using the quot Search for changed apparatus quot function in the screen I don t know what it s called in English included in the attachment In this application I tried using the CD DVD-stations as well as the IDE section since in the BIOS the device was identified with the IDE tag Long story short I still have no idea how to retrieve the device Any ideas Built-in CD/DVD-RW drive stopped functioning Thanks in advance Built-in CD/DVD-RW drive stopped functioning Relativism nbsp

A:Built-in CD/DVD-RW drive stopped functioning

In 'Device manager' (the screen in your image), right-click on the DVD/CD and choose "uninstall this device".
Re-start the PC and you should find, Windows finds the DVD/CD and installs the drivers for it. It should then work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/built-in-cd-dvd-rw-drive-stopped-functioning.175358/
Relevancy 21.07%

Windows 7 (64bit) used to load the Network "dialer" (I have DSL) at bootup or whenever a connection was not present, but a few days ago, it suddenly stopped. I must now start my Internet connection manually via a shortcut on the desktop.

I don't prompt for a password, but I don't want my PC connecting w/o me for security reasons (eg: catching viruses/adware that try connect to the Net to upload my info or send Spam.) This is how I've connected since Win98.

I thought maybe I had disabled something necessary from "msconfig", but I put everything back and it still doesn't work.

I've also tried putting the shortcut in my Startup folder, but Windows just ignores it. (???)

I remember having this same problem years ago with XP but forgot how I fixed it.

Anyone have any ideas?

A:Network "dialer" stopped loading at startup. Weird.

run SERVICES.MSC and verify Network Connections is enabled and autostarted.

View Network Connections and be sure the connection properties are correct.

Move the shortcut in my Startup folder to the All Users\Startup

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-dialer-stopped-loading-at-startup-weird.174788/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a Dell Inspiron e and I have windows ultimate on it The hard drive is only GBs in size and it only has GB of space left on a partitioning and drive laptop Installing Windows new 7 with it I want to install a new HD GB in the laptop but the old harddrive has drive C and Backup D on it I want to partition the new drive to have Drive C and the rest extened space what are the proceedures to perform this task and please in details P S I don t have the OS disc to re-install Installing and partitioning a new laptop drive with Windows 7 Win What I do have is a GB Harddrive and a USB to Sata connection cable to connect the harddrive to the computer a windows repair disc for the system and backup discs from the old harddrive How do I proceed I have tried it once using the tools that I have and it copied the os and files just like the old drive but not enabling me to extend the C drive nbsp

A:Installing and partitioning a new laptop drive with Windows 7

The easiest way would probably be a cloning software with a external HDD as a backup drive.

create an image backup to the external drive
switch drives in the laptop
write the image backup from the external drive

I know these manufacturer's have free cloning software that can be used with their drives:

Western Digital
Seagate
Maxtor
Intel (SSD Drives)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-and-partitioning-a-new-laptop-drive-with-windows-7.174764/
Relevancy 20.21%

Video Card problems please help Ok so i am no noob to comps i have built at least gaming computers and right now i am at awww So its a installing card display No after HP or i don t remember off the top No display after installing card of my head but my brother wanted me to fix it up so i put windows with gigs of ram and i had a Gforce Gt-OC and No display after installing card also a ATI X laying around so this problem No display after installing card is with both So i put one of the cards in and you can hear the cards fans going so its getting power but all i get is a black screen unless plugged in stock port So i went to the Bios and changed it to PCI-E and looked through all the other settings in bios and found everything was OK Then i went and got the new drivers and installed them After that i went to the start and in search typed devmgmt msc which this command will open a device manager which there i noticed that the card was not being recognized so i figured i would try to disable the on-board and see if it would kick er in but nothing Now i am wondering if i may need a bigger power supply but on the ATI i know for a fact you don t its not the greatest card but better than on board So I am starting to think that just maybe the slot is messed up or something Last but not least it did this to me when the computer was on XP as well so can someone please help me very soon i am trying to do this for my little brother for Xmas nbsp

A:No display after installing card

well what are the other hardware details? like Power supply and motherboard...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-display-after-installing-card.174255/
Relevancy 23.65%

Okay, so my girlfriend is currently living in Hawaii, and her computer is constantly heating up. Just recently (Or at least, recently that she's told me) her computer's internal fans have stopped spinning. When this first happened, she and her mother opened it up and cleaned it out, which worked the first couple of times.

Now however, the only fan that was working, the smaller one that I assume is the power supply fan, has stopped spinning, and no matter what she does, it won't spin. Because there is a large lack of money between the 3 of us (My girlfriend, myself, and her mother) a replacement is unlikely to happen, so is there any way to save her computer without buying anything?

A:Girlfriend's computer's fan(s) stopped spinning and she's panicking...

Fans stopped?

Guessing this is a Tower (Desktop PC?)
If the fan has stopped in the PSU, it's possible that it's motor has failed.
They are built for a long life, but don't last forever.
I am assuming the PSU does work the PC properly?
But if the fan is not working, I would not use it for now, or just to test it can boot to the desktop.
If you have no, or not much money to spend on it, you could add another fan on the outside of the PC, over the top of where the (not spinning) one is now.
It won't look very slick, but it's around the back anyway.
You will need to power it from a power cable inside the PC, but you can buy all the parts for very little, about 10 / $18?
Ideally you would buy a new PSU, but guessing not an option.
Have a look here;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/arctic-cooling-f8-pwm-case-fan-80mm-07929944-pdt.html
and to extend the cable;
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/cables/zm-ec1
You may have a socket on the motherboard to connect to this to; if you can't find one, then you can get a plug/socket that takes power from a hard disc power plug or a DVD power plug (same thing). I have a fan powered that way.
But until the fan is working at the back of the power supply, I would suggest not to use the pc, it will not do it any good at all.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/girlfriends-computers-fan-s-stopped-spinning-and-shes-panicking.173838/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi,

My DVD drive has buggered up so I need to replace it with a spare.. I know how to insert the drive into the tower and connect all cables, but is there a proccess i go through once my comptuer is running to activate or get the drive to run?

Dean

A:Installing DVD-RW drive

If your replacing a optical drive like for like then there should be nothing further to do.

The computer will already be set up using the old drive, so your just replacing it with the new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-dvd-rw-drive.173053/
Relevancy 19.78%

Greetings to all,

I had been using windows 7 ultimate 32 bit for nearly 6 months since only 2.90 ram usable out of 4.i have migrated to windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.. for one week the process and working of os was good .. suddenly i has encountered the problem of heating and some buzzing sound which could be heard till next room.. I'm really frustrated by seeing this ****.. please net pals suggest me good ideas to get rid of the this problem. i wanna know whether the problem is my lap OR the current os..
after all the thing my processor support 64 bit..

should i head back to 32 bit again?

A:System heats up after installing 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate

You can try to head back to 32-bit but I doubt it'll help, it sounds like the laptop is over heating due to a broken fan.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-heats-up-after-installing-64-bit-windows-7-ultimate.173090/
Relevancy 20.21%

There is a specific software that i would like to install to the Server ans to let it run on all the computers on the network. So,instead of installing it on each computer (time consuming) i need a way to install it on the server and let it run on each other computer.

A:Installing program to server

Copy software to a folder on the server
Share the folder over the network
Map the folder as a drive on the workstations
Run the software on the workstations.

This is pretty basic networking.

The software has to be set up so that it can be shared in that way. In most cases you will probably have to install the software on the hard drive and share just the data files over the network. The application has to have that capability.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-program-to-server.171306/
Relevancy 20.21%

Lo everyone First time poster and it isn t even my issue I m trying to help my boyfriend who happens to video odd new issues after Several card installing be quite long distance away with the issues his new video card is having but I m Several odd issues after installing new video card at a loss so I Several odd issues after installing new video card ll toss it out there Several odd issues after installing new video card for anyone who wants to take a crack His old card died so he purchased a Nvidia GeForce GTX Ti It is new After installing it he started to have issues with the computer freezing momentarily in WoW and crashing on occasion He thought he had fixed it by reinstalling the driver but it s still having the issue Tonight he shut down his PC to take a look make sure the hardware was in properly and when he restarted he was having even more issues Some of these include The computer insisting two monitors are hooked up and saying because of this he cannot put the screen res about x He also says his monitor quot uninstalled itself quot and that it s now listing as quot Generic PnP Monitor quot It also thinks it s a laptop Also as I type this it apparently is insisting he download new drivers for this laptop but he hasn t He is running AMD Athlon II X Processors GHZ gigs RAM Vista We know that his power supply is good enough for the card since I made sure to check into that before advising the purchase Nothing in the tower is overheating Any odd thing that s posted here is hearsay from him but maybe some of you can make sense of it Please help before he whines my eyes out as we re talking over MSN Many thanks nbsp

A:Several odd issues after installing new video card

Did he remove all drivers pertaining to his old video card before he installed the new ones? Be sure to check that. I would suggest he use Driver Sweeper to remove all drivers and start by installing afresh.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/several-odd-issues-after-installing-new-video-card.171382/
Relevancy 19.78%

hello friends,

i brought a new graphic card and installed it in my PC. everything went fine for 3 days, i have played all the high end games without any problem but after 3 or 4 days...the monitor started going into standby mode and some times it shows some gibberish colors on the screen.

Below are my PC specifications.

LG 17" CRT monitor
Processor : Intel Dual core 2.88 GHz.
MOBO : Intel D102GGC2.
ram : 2 Gb DDR2

Graphic card : NVIDIA GT 440 - 1 gB (DDR3) Purchased in September 2011.

I changed the screen resolution from least to max and tried in each instance but with no luck.
I removed the side cover of my cabinet but this did not make a difference.
Formatted the system and installed a new os but that did not help either.
I checked the temparature using Everest software and it showed around 39-40 C always.

Does any one have any inputs on this..

A:Problem with monitor after installing new graphic card

Have you tested your system with a different monitor?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-monitor-after-installing-new-graphic-card.170988/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello guys,

I would really appreciate any info on this subject if possible!

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435MT and I have seen a really good deal on a 120gb SSD drive and would like to replace my two 500gb HD's in RAID-0 setup, to hopefully speed up startup times and generally speed up the response of the PC, I also use it with Photoshop and 3D programs so I think this upgrade will help here too. I will probably just use each 500gb hard drives separately for storage or if possible set them up as RAID-0 again for storage but I guess just separately is safer.

My main question is how do I go about installing it?

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit (Dell version). Can I just install this onto the new drive? Or do I have to uninstall from current set up first?

Thanks in advance.

Poke13

A:Installing SSD drive to Studio XPS 435MT

Do you already have a RAID array set up? If you dismantle the RAID array you will loose all data on both drives and you will have to re-build the array fresh. The 120GB SSD can be used like any hard drive, alone or in a RAID array, but its speed would be wasted in RAID

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-ssd-drive-to-studio-xps-435mt.170732/
Relevancy 20.21%

I just got a netbook and it came with Windows 7 Starter, and a whole lot of preloaded crap.
Apparently it also doesn't come with a boot disc, that the 'factory settings' are hidden deep within the system somewhere.

Well, I don't seem to like the factory settings, and I want to install Windows 7 full version, clean, with no preloaded crap, but I don't know the best way to go about it, since this netbook doesnt have a disc drive.

Also, I'll be departitioning and formatting and installing blank, but if something goes amiss, I don't have a disk to reinstall the starter edition?

I've heard I can turn a USB into a boot drive to install an OS off of, but can I download a backup copy of Starter Edition to put back on the computer in case anything goes wrong?

A:Installing Windows 7 Ultimate on my netbook?

Run this to check your system, but as you have the starter edition of Windows 7 it should be ok.

You can install Windows 7 from an external CD drive simply by setting it to 1st in the boot order in the Bios.

You cannot legally download a copy of Windows 7 Starter unless you pay for it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-windows-7-ultimate-on-my-netbook.170584/
Relevancy 22.79%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello,
I read that case fans can be installed on the motherboard or PSU. When installed on the motherboard then you can adjust the speed, however the motherboard would need to have enough power to keep the fans running or else some might stop spinning.

I will be getting the GA-990FXA-UD5 and either the Corsair HX750 or HX850. I will be using 5 case fans.

Does the motherboard have enough ports or channels for 5 fans? I heard that there are some converters for more fans or something like that. Heard a guy say it on YouTube, but he didn't say what type converter.

Thanks

A:Which is better: Installing case fans to mobo or to PSU?

Generally a motherboard will provide 4 fan headers for connecting fans. CPU. POWER and 2 x CASE/CHASSIS. If you are running more fans and are not concerned about having them speed controlled by the motherboard you can connect them directly to the PSU. Several splitters are available for connecting more fans to the motherboard. I used a splitter that allows 3 fans to be connected one header on the motherboard and a connection from PSU for extra power ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK )

This was for the use of the H50 Corsair water cooling unit when I had 2 fans running in push/pull configuration on the radiator connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard and the pump housed in the casing above the heatsink part connected to chassis fan header with no speed control enabled as it is required to run at full speed all the time. This cable allows the motherboard to control fan speeds.

Although a more basic splitter without external power connection or speed control will most likely do the job ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-013-AK&tool=3 )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-is-better-installing-case-fans-to-mobo-or-to-psu.169511/
Relevancy 23.22%

i have a toshiba satellite and on the back it says the model name is satellite l500-1dt.
i am new to this website and using forums, the message that comes up on my computer is

system warning
Warning:a problem with the cooling system has been detected. please turn off the computer immediately, and return it for service.

i am currently working in the alps and do not have an english speaking computer shop near by.
could any one help me and advise me what to do, i do not know much about taking a laptop apart to clean or change parts.

A:My Toshiba Satellite l500 cooling fan has stopped working

I would purchase a can of compressed air or use an air compressor (with a light gentle nozzle) and blow the dust out of the inside. If you have a failed cooling fan, then it will need to be repaired or replaced. That model I think is rather old, it may not be worth it to repair.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-toshiba-satellite-l500-cooling-fan-has-stopped-working.162045/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello TechSpot,

I am thinking of dual booting Linux Mint with my Windows 7 OS. I don't have a cd big enough for the installer, and I am thinking about buying a stack of CDs to use for booting. However, I don't know which CD type to buy. I will be using them also for Movie making, file storage, back up and etc..
Which one of these would work?

DVD R
DVD RW
DVD-RW
DVD-RAM

Thanks

A:What type of CD is good for installing Linux or other OS for dual boot?

They're DVD's, not CD's; though you can use them for burning a Linux ISO, it would be a waste of most of the capacity of a disk though. I'd choose DVD-R's.

You can always download Linux live creator and use that instead. You just need a spare 1GB USB memory stick/thumb drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-type-of-cd-is-good-for-installing-linux-or-other-os-for-dual-boot.169327/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi, sorry, not very good at this sort of thing, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Thursday night - mouse was working. Sunday evening, mouse is not working.
2) In the device manager it tells me I have two HID-compliant mouse drivers, location: "On USB Input Device" - I only have one USB input for my mouse. I tried disabling one of the drivers to see if it was a conflict problem. No luck.

Any ideas? The mouse is a "Wireless Optical Mouse M/N:SM-502C"

Thanks for reading

A:Mouse stopped working after weekend away/appear to have two mouse drivers?

If you Goggle / bing / yahoo this info you gave........what........do you get ??

ciderlout said:

The mouse is a "Wireless Optical Mouse M/N:SM-502C"Click to expand...

I got this

The connection has timed out

The server at www.smallworld-us.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mouse-stopped-working-after-weekend-away-appear-to-have-two-mouse-drivers.168280/
Relevancy 20.21%

my dvd rw is not installing games from dvd9 and i cant copy dvd9 to my hardisk i have samsung writemaster and it has running all other dvds and cds but error occurs in only dvd9...

A:My DVD-RW is not installing DVD9 games

These are games copied to double-layer DVD? I read a while back that game cd/dvd are copy protected. Maybe that has something to do w/ it? Or the file system on the DVD is UDF 2.5, and Windows XP can't read that. Can your discs be read on a different computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dvd-rw-is-not-installing-dvd9-games.167661/
Relevancy 24.08%

So my laptop's going on three years old here. And just the other day, it was working perfectly fine until I noticed it was getting insanely hot. Not terribly long after that, it suddenly and without warning shut down. It was when I had turned it back on that I noticed that my fan wasn't working. It's now been roughly a week, and the fan hasn't come back online, and since it's the beginning of June, my laptop is having some major heat management issues.

So, I don't want to have to crack my laptop open to take a look inside, but I fear it's my only option. I've tried using compressed air, or searching for any way possible to start the fan up from Windows, but all hope seems lost. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

A:Fan in my Asus laptop just kinda... stopped

Okay, so, nevermind, I suppose compressed air worked. I have no idea why or how...but I guess it worked out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fan-in-my-asus-laptop-just-kinda-stopped.166255/
Relevancy 23.22%

after long hours SD stopped format Serious Card attempts working after problem... of searching i found Serious problem... SD Card stopped working after format attempts this forum and i hope anybody to help me i had a flash memory SDcard Gb Of Samsung Galaxy mobile i was transfering some data from my PC to Mobile Suddenly it stop copying gt gt and the PC amp the Mobile stopped working I restarted the pc and the mobile But found a STRANGE problem every time i try to copy data from PC to SDcard through the reader It copies for second then it stops also i used the USB cable the same problem i tried to format firstly from the mobile But the mobile cannot read the SDcard I tried to format by Windows The PC stop Working I tried to search for hours downloaded so many programs to format it i found quot low level format quot and done after that it appears like a quot Removable disk quot at my computer tried to format it by windows and disk mangment a message pops out quot device media is write-protected quot Afterthat i discovered a Serious problem the reader of my SDcard quot in the normal condition quot while making ANY ACtivity is giving frequent red light but NOW it stops after seconds gt gt of trying to do any activity like formatting And the removable disk Drive completely disappears from my computer the program which i ve used were HDD low level format HP boot drive utility HP usb disk fomat tool All failed ------------- so i came here and iam expecting some help before destructing my sdcard u r my last hope sorry about my bad english and inconvenience Good Night nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/serious-problem-sd-card-stopped-working-after-format-attempts.166921/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi.
My name is Wayne. I'm not a professional with computers. I'm 59 years old, and just got my first computer 3 years ago. I recently grabbed a laptop just before it was to be tossed in the dumpster at my job. It's a Compaq Presario 1266. It's old. It has Windows 98 on it. I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro. It will go as far as the starting windows screen, blue screen. It will not go to the welcome to windows setup screen so that I can delete the windows 98. My first question. Is this old, I think it's a notebook, not laptop, worht all the effort? If so, how can I resolve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to learn more about how to do these things. I can barely attach files in an email. Thank you.

A:Can't get to Windows setup screen when installing XP Pro

Yup, this is an old system. Unless it has been upgraded with more memory it will not run XP.

The specs show 32MB or RAM (XP needs a minimum of 64MB)
A 333MHz CPU and a 4GB or optional 6.4GB hard drive.

Even if you get this going it will be very, very slow by modern day standards. Windows 98 is probably the best system to have on it.

Worth the effort, I doubt it, but depends what you want to use it for and if you don't want to do anything in a hurry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-get-to-windows-setup-screen-when-installing-xp-pro.166421/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi HD XFX screen 5770 after Dim installing I have just installed a HD and when I start windows after the accounts screen the screen dims slightly not loads but enough to notice the dark screen It does this on every account I have tried Driver Cleaner Pro and reinstalled the drivers Dim screen after installing XFX HD 5770 Also when I power up the windows loading screen jumps once as if refreshing and also when logging off the screen goes blank for a second before returning to the accounts screen I tried putting my old card back in a HD and everything goes back to normal Cant figure it out the only thing I think it could be is the minimum PSU recommended is a watt mine is a watt but it is a corsair and I have read that this card will run with this psu I dont have loads of drives and using a power calculator I am only using about watts Hope you can help Dim screen after installing XFX HD 5770 before I send this card back and revert to Dim screen after installing XFX HD 5770 my old HD Cheers nbsp

A:Dim screen after installing XFX HD 5770

moonfruit said:

Cant figure it out, the only thing I think it could be is the minimum PSU recommended is a 450watt, mine is a 400watt.Click to expand...

BINGO..........I think you've answered your own question!

I'd recommend at least a decent 500 watt, preferably a nice 600 watt!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dim-screen-after-installing-xfx-hd-5770.166209/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi Guys I ve had good luck here in the past so Im hoping to get some help again Here s myy story I recently bought an XFX Radeon from Provantage got the card and installed it in my system and No dice I get Fans powering up on it Radeon POST won't installing after HD System 6990 but does not go to post screen I Feel like I have it fully seated in the PCI slot both pin power connecters are attached I just can t System won't POST after installing Radeon HD 6990 figure it out I RMA d the card to XFX and they came back telling me it System won't POST after installing Radeon HD 6990 fully tested ok for them Now as I wait for it in the mail to return to me Im trying to diagnose what may keep it from working for me Like System won't POST after installing Radeon HD 6990 I said I feel like it was fully seated Both power connecters are attached I tried booting with out any usbs plugged up the system boots just fine with my gfx cards that i am replaceing x gt s system boots just fine with a single gt rest of system components are - AMD phenom Asus M N -D mobo just updated to latest bios tagen w Power supply gigs of ram x gig sticks single HD single dvd rom Windows vista bit any thoughts greatly appreciated nbsp

A:System won't POST after installing Radeon HD 6990

Have the XFX Radeon 6990 replaced under warranty

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-wont-post-after-installing-radeon-hd-6990.165171/
Relevancy 24.08%

After using the current set up for two years without problems this evening upon turning the computer on the monitor power button remained orange instead of green indicating it was not receiving a signal working stopped PCI-E card I waited for the boot loader to auto select Ubuntu and waited for PCI-E card stopped working the boot sound which came through properly I checked the DVI connections and cables everything was hooked up correctly I double checked by plugging a VGA cable into the monitor on one end and into the DVI adapter on the video card end also this process changed nothing I restarted the computer and noticed some small differences from the typical startup the power light on the monitor never turns blue there is a very faint beeping noise--similar to the final beep the computer makes when it is powered off--that includes - beeps then a proper louder POST beep Figuring I could likely get on board video I removed the PCI-E card and booted into Windows this time just fine I turned the computer off and plugged the VGA cable directly into the MB connection and the DVI directly into the video card The BIOS was slow to POST and the monitor switched to the on board VGA connection even though I had selected PCI-E first The PCI-E card is connected properly in the machine as I type this yet it is not recognized in Windows any longer I do not think the BIOS recognizes it either as the on board should have auto disabled if it detected the card in the slot I Read that someone had a similar problem to this and CPU-Z could see the card but CPU-Z sees nothing but the on board video currently Can the PCI-E slot be bad I will test the card in another machine on Monday but I would rather solve this situation before then if possible Stock Gateway GT E Modifications Watt Cooler Master PSU Two Hitachi GB Int Drives disconnected for trouble-shooting XFX Nvidia GSO GIG DDR Flashed BIOS e-machines flash which has worked for two years nbsp

A:PCI-E card stopped working

I think it's more likely the graphics card itself is bad. Trying another card in the slot is a good idea and should confirm whether your card has failed or not. Doing so is merely a common diagnostics step and not something to be avoided so I don't understand the need to figure this out without testing the card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pci-e-card-stopped-working.164196/
Relevancy 20.21%

i have a problem which is i cannot use my line in jack for speakers as in xp, after i installed windows 7 , and i installed the latest realtek hd , i didn't find any way to change my line in output at all, when i plug in any cable it just says "you have pluged an audio device" , my M.board is gigabyte 945gcm-s2l, i want to use my headphone with the speakers.

A:Realtek HD problem after installing Windows 7

Try looking at this thread.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic164012.html

It might help although I know you are using Windows 7.

It at least covers a few different possible problems it could be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-hd-problem-after-installing-windows-7.164121/
Relevancy 24.08%

OK so here's the down-low i have a certified data headset and mic it was working really well one day me and my friend were talking in skype no problems but the very next day we try and talk to each other my mic was giving off no sound and he couldn't hear me i have gone it to advanced properties and everything it might be because of my IDT audio 1 but it hadn't given me problems before is there something i might have missed or done?

A:My mic was working fine then stopped the next day

The quickest test for this is to first try another mic. If you are quite certain that no settings have been changed then your mic has probably developed a fault.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-mic-was-working-fine-then-stopped-the-next-day.163954/