Windows Support Forum

Every restart is basically a hard reset (and I'm NOT doing ...

Q: Every restart is basically a hard reset (and I'm NOT doing ...

New laptop May 2016, with Win 10 x 64 installed. Ran all upgrades. Since purchase, every time I restart, shut down etc, it 'resets' all of the personalized settings, especially annoying is the mouse/touch pad. I have to open settings every single time and select the disable touch pad, and also select the have touchpad icon on task bar. While I'm in this session, all is fine, but a soon as I shut down/restart it goes back to squre one, starting point ever time. It's very annoying. Especially that the icon won't stay on the task bar-I have to go to settings, advanced/more settings...etc. I've updated everything, I've run 'fixes' have tried everything I can think of. Thanks much!!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Every-restart-is-basically-a-hard-reset-and-I-m-NOT-doing-a/td-p/5658118
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Every restart is basically a hard reset (and I'm NOT doing ...

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 108.79%

New laptop May 2016, with Win 10 x 64  installed.  Ran all upgrades.  Since purchase, every time I restart, shut down etc, it 'resets' all of the personalized settings, especially annoying is the mouse/touch pad.  I have to open settings every single time and select the disable touch pad, and also select the have touchpad icon on task bar.  While I'm in this session, all is fine, but a soon as I shut down/restart it goes back to squre one, starting point ever time.  It's very annoying.  Especially that the icon won't stay on the task bar-I have to go to settings, advanced/more settings...etc.  I've updated everything, I've run 'fixes' have tried everything I can think of.  Thanks much!! 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Settings-reset-won-t-stay-Every-restart-is-basically-a-hard/td-p/5658118
Relevancy 67.08%

my speakers and microphone had stopped working...everything else was fine so i followed the steps to resolve issue on hp support.when it asked to do a hard reset i followed the instructions but my laptop will not now restart...am just getting a very quick flash fron on button then nothing...need help to resolve this

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/laptop-wont-restart-after-hard-reset/td-p/5611725
Relevancy 66.65%

So my phone Lumia was hit with the restart bug I was left with no option but to do a factory reset I went through the proper procedures I somehow managed to verify that my phone had created a backup of my apps and settings I removed the SD card just in case Etc etc However after the reset upon attempting to download my backups I was met with several problems The first OneDrive apparently has no backup for me to access I've tried numerous times but there seems to be no backups to be had The second several apps I had had installed are seemingly no longer available on the Windows store So what am I to glean from all this Because of some poorly coded bull leading to an OS or firmware bug bug hard restart and after defaults. Issues to factory reset I've lost a hefty chunk of personal data and cherished applications despite using MS's 'backup' feature if this sounds hostile it's likely because it is I'm very agitated by this I still have the SD card unformatted However there seems to be no meaningful way for me to recover what Issues after restart bug and hard reset to factory defaults. is on it At least not in any way that my phone will recognize Any advice anyone can give besides dropping this piece of junk and getting an Android

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/442062-issues-after-restart-bug-hard-reset-factory-defaults.html
Relevancy 58.91%

This is going to run long so at first a resume Win installed on a clean disk which is small with a second drive for real storage because the first one can hold little except the OS Now I know there are driver issues Regardless I ran windows update it found 2nd update made my disappear drive Basically: hard Windows some update to install and when it was done doing that my second drive was Basically: Windows update made my 2nd hard drive disappear gone It's there of course and I can make it visible but not actually use it because it's reserved The long story So I bought this computer years ago It was aging even then It has a motherboard for which no win drivers exist So that's a thing Regardless it ran fine under win When I updated to win it was free it also ran fine for a long while then destroyed my hard drive No preamble or anything just went from to destruction in an instant I installed another hard drive It destroyed that too So that was disappointing Thing is neither drive is entirely destroyed I can access them every once in a while So through a herculean effort I got one of them running Sort of It would only boot if there was an installation disk in my dvd drive And even that only occasionally You realize of course that I'd not have put up with this if replacing the damned thing was an option Eventually I scraped together enough for a new drive Installed win again It worked I got drivers for it that also seem to work It's a little shaky about running games but not as such prone to spontaneous selfdestruction Yet So I've been running windows update in the vain hope that it'll suddenly realise what drivers I need Yea And then it suddenly yesterday told me it had some new update to install I'd tell you what it was except it insists no updates are installed At all But after I installed it my second drive had gone Amusingly it does somewhat feel like my motherboard is doing this to my drives just to spite me Anyone have any idea what's going on here

A:Basically: Windows update made my 2nd hard drive disappear

You'll need to provide some hard data ...

Please update the Systems Specs in your forum profile with complete information.

In the System Manufacturer/Model Number field, manually type Desktop or Laptop adding it to the information already in the field. The specific model number is important - there are often many models of a given series.
For example, my machine is a HP Pavilion dv6, but there are tens of the dv6 series, so dv6-6c10us is the specific model.
Specify Custom Build as the manufacturer if it is not an OEM machine.
The easiest way to do this is to use the information from a PUBLISHED Speccy report.
See: Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs

Post the link to the report that Speccy gives you and also open the Speccy link.
Then click here to view your System Specs on this forum.

When you have both windows open, put them side-by-side and simply copy the information, field by field, from the Speccy report to your System Specs.

To see what information other members provide in their System Specs, click on My System Specs in the lower left of any post by any member.

Please post a Disk Management screen shot

Download dmDskmgr-vg.zip (contains dmDskmgr-vg.mmc)
Open the compressed folder, dmDskmgr-vg.zip
Double click dmDskmgr-vg.mmc to launch it
Press the Open button if prompted Do you want to open this file?
Answer yes to the User Account Control prompt

Tip: you can drag the middle bar up to show more of the bottom pane

(just don't drag it too far up - I also need the information in the top pane)Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image
Attach the image to a new post

Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/59341-basically-windows-update-made-my-2nd-hard-drive-disappear.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i am trying to factory reset to the default settings again because of the stupid problems i am having on the tablet.
Here is the problem i am trying to get into the BIOS which is the 1 step on the Acer website but for some bizarre reason when it is completely off i press the Windows button and the power button to get in to the BIOS as it says on the Acer Website but it keeps going to the start menu/desktop now instead of going to the BIOS. :/
I have factory reset/hard reset on my Acer Iconia W700 a couple times and i never had this problem before, i gone in to the BIOS no problem!!!
Can someone help me please?? Thanks!!!

A:Windows 8 tablet factory reset/hard reset problem!!! HELP!!

Is it still under warranty? You should try contacting Acer.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/397817-windows-8-tablet-factory-reset-hard-reset-problem-help.html
Relevancy 52.46%

hi,i wanted to know if hard reset and factory reset are the same things?my laptop won't turn on and i found out that i can hard reset that, but i do not want any of my data on hard disk to be erased. is it possible?(i've shut it down before so there is no data on RAM)thanks in advance.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:are hard reset and factory reset the same thing?

Hi, No, factory reset will bring your machine back to facory status (the time opening the box) byt hard reset won't. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/are-hard-reset-and-factory-reset-the-same-thing/td-p/5676772
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi i just installed a new Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, Graphics Card and Ram, basically a new computer except for the HDD and CD Drive, whenever i restart from the start menu it will shut off and go to a black screen and the light on my monitor turns from green to orange, same thing happens if i hit the reset button, it boots normally just fine and i checked the temps, it's not overheating at all, i've updated all the drivers, any help would be appreciated.

Motherboard: ASRock N68C-GS-FX
CPU: Phenom II x 4
Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 260

if you need anymore info i'll gladly post it.

A:PC won't Restart/Reset

Hi is this a xp operating system as your info say's win 7 have you rechecked all the cables and connections are firmly and correctly seated including your ram,graphics and monitor cable

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/pc-wont-restart-reset-652412.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Okay I was watching a video on windows media player and then it froze so I tried to end task but it took a long while. So I ended all applications and it took about 5minutes to end..it was slow. I then tried to open WMP again and it worked but the video had no sound so I restarted my computer and when I logged in my profile was reset. I thought I lost all my files but when I do a search they are still safe on my computer. I just lost all my personal settings in my profile....how do I restore this?

A:My profile reset after restart?

Hello and Welcome to TSF

You can try and copy your user profile to a new profile via this link. In this link they are referring to a corrupt profile but I see no difference between what you are experiencing

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-profile-reset-after-restart-170551.html
Relevancy 50.74%

This is a new K7SEM motherboard with new Win2K Pro install. It won't "software restart" such as in installing a program or going to START-SHUTDOWN-RESTART? It shuts down then just sits there with the fans running. However, when the power is turned off, then on a few seconds later, it will start perfectly and otherwise works fine! Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Oh, the board won't "reset" either and all connections are correct. I'm leaning toward a BIOS update--- except it has an 11/16/2002 Award bios --- or a bum board.

Relevancy 50.74%

It is part of a greater problem I describe here, that Vista "memorizes" my system volume setting when I shut down the PC.

Is there any way to disable this behavior and make Vista set my system volume to 100 % on each and every reboot, regardless of the status it had been in before shutdown?

Thanks for the help!

A:Reset Volume on Restart

Sure, I thought it was clear.

I want my Vista system volume to be at 100 % (meaning: not at the value which is saved when I shut down the OS) when I start my PC.

Even more detailed:
1. My system or master volume is now at 33 %.
2. I shut down the computer.
3. I start the computer.
4. My system or master volume is still at 33 %, because Vista saves this value on shutdown.

I want the volume to be 100 % at step 4. I do not know how to do that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reset-volume-on-restart.992634/
Relevancy 50.31%

Any time I restart windows or reboot my NIC my connection comes back with Limited Connectivity I can solve this the only quot solution quot ive found on reset Limited connectivity restart/NIC by rebooting my router once everything is on and get my connection but its becoming quite the nuisance The router Limited connectivity on restart/NIC reset shouldnt be the problem as there are other computers boots connected that dont have this issue Event log Microsoft-Windows-DHCP Client Events Admin Your computer was not assigned an address from the network by the DHCP Server for the Network Card with network address x A D F E The following error occurred x Limited connectivity on restart/NIC reset Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address DHCP server Please note that is NOT the error from DHCPv just DHCP under log name not DHCPv The message is identical from what I can see but thats not the source And yes Ive already tryed disabling IPv without any success I've tryed pretty much everything the first pages of google has suggested to me I dont think its too much to ask being able to access the DHCP server and have internet after rebooting without having to reboot the router afterwards Any ideas

A:Limited connectivity on restart/NIC reset

Quote: Originally Posted by Celeras

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x001A4D4F62E8. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

A DHCP error with one computer should not require you to reset the router. What happens when you "release" then "renew" the network ip address from the mis-behaving computer?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/19779-limited-connectivity-restart-nic-reset.html
Relevancy 50.31%

A while ago my mother purchased an HP G60 notebook with windows 7 installed and just recently we started sharing files over the network at home. When she first got the laptop, I noticed that whenever her laptop would restart, the laptop's volume would be set to muted, regardless of the settings before the restart. The same thing happens to any advanced sharing options I configure. Whenever the laptop restarts, the settings are lost.

How do I prevent this from happening?

A:Settings reset on computer restart

Hi, go to start search and type:-control folders (press enter). Select the "View" tab and put a check in "remember each folders view settings".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/settings-reset-on-computer-restart-609404.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi guys I am in need of some help here Mine is a Compaq Presario series Laptop and I ve been using it Laptop Battery Reset/Restart since it was new some - years ago My battery pack provided me with up to two hours of power of course depending on use and open applicaions until about two weeks ago These past two weeks it has been behaving very strangely it began marking charged but provided with about only mintes of power this week it came down to minutes tday I couldnot get it past minutes It doesn t even has the power necessary to hibernate or suspend I understand battery s normal wear and tear but I use it with a lot of care I discharge it fully at least once a week I calibrate it using a Batery Optimizer tool and I believe this reduction in power capacity is not normal but rather excesive I had an older laptop Texas Instruments which lasted with me for some and a half years and the battery could last for an hour and a half by the time I sold it The Laptop Battery Reset/Restart Compaq Presario battery has a power indcator built on it and it shows leds which lite green yellow or remain off depending on the charge When fully charged this gauge will lite in yellow meaning low charge on the first led and green indicating full charge on the other leds I believe this is an indicatr of the battery stuck on charging maybe only one cell and leaving the others empty Another indication for this is that it used to take a long time to charge and now it shows CHARGED in a matter of minutes II d be more than grateful if you could tell me wether or not is it possible to reset restart the battery and if so Laptop Battery Reset/Restart how do I do it Many Thanks nbsp

A:Laptop Battery Reset/Restart

The only way to reset the "memory" on the battery is to completely drain it.
Unfortunately,draining it once a week has probably worn it out.
Should only drain it when it shows signs of not fully charging.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery-reset-restart.719483/
Relevancy 50.31%

I tried to run "Reset and reinstall windows" when I found out that "keep nothing" is not a clean install.

However, the reinstallation part (Windows setup, with the serial number part) starts over and over again
I have no idea which part I'd missed nor mistaken as I followed all the tutorials I found on the internet.

A:Tried reset and reinstall, setup restart never end

Welcome to EightForums.
Try Cleaning the HD Drive, using Step one in this tutorial:
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation - Windows 7 Support Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/20096-tried-reset-reinstall-setup-restart-never-end.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I've reset Outlook Express to be the default email mail handler several times, but it occasionally reverts to another program after the computer's been shut down and restarted. What's the deal?

A:Default Settings Reset Themselves Sometimes On Restart

What program does it default to. There may be an option in that e-mail client that keeps setting it as the default. If you do not need it or use it then you could probably uninstall it and then set outlook express as the default again.

Let me know whats going on the more details we have, the better we can help.

Thanks Sam.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/141969/default-settings-reset-themselves-sometimes-on-restart/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a pavilion dv9000 notebook running XP and every time I change the pointer speed for the touchpad to its fastest setting it will reset itself to the default setting after I shutdown and reboot. I need the touchpad on its fastest setting because of the wide screen and the fact that I don't always have my wireless mouse w/ me.

The only cause I can think of is having a Logitech wireless mouse installed. The setpoint.exe program for the wireless mouse runs in the background whether or not the mouse is connected. Could this be the problem?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Relevancy 50.31%

Heres my OS Win HP bit incase its useful info My desktop icons as well as my folder icons change size back to the default Medium size after I restart my computer and the folder icons reset as well If I set them to say large and close the folder and reopen it they will be back at the default setting Even if I go back and forth in the folders the icons will not stay the same size I set them to Now here is what Ive done to try and fix my issue While in a folder if I change the size to say medium Go to Tools gt Folder Options gt View and apply this to all folders Than no matter what size I change them too afterwards will revert to this setting Even though I want different size icons depending on what I'm looking at With that said Ive also tried to restore the defaults that did not work I have followed the Icon Rebuilding tut on this website both the bat and the manual and... after restart reset sizes Icon ways I have ran the Windows repair all in one as well Which Icon sizes reset after restart and... made me do a file scan and check disk The only thing I haven't tried is a system restore I have also heard of malware messing up this stuff and a mention of a root kit I think it was in a post about this same issue Just a few days ago I got rid of I think one The Google redirect or something it was called differently in Malwarebytes I used tdsskiller to get rid of it but after running Malwarebytes in safe mode saw it was still there but got rid of it again After going through threads and threads and different posts all over the internet something does hold up that if I make a new user account and use that one everything works normal Whatever I change my icon size to will stay that way when I close and reopen the folder But I dont really want to know how to do that and transfer all of my files from the old user to the new one and deleting the old account without fear of lost data Icon sizes reset after restart and... Sorry for the long post just trying to list everything Ive done and that has happened on my system for the last week

A:Icon sizes reset after restart and...

This is my simple solution, found after a year of trying suggestions from various forums:

- Go to c:\Users\[account]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
- Move the UsrClass.dat to a backup folder (I used "My Documents")
- arrange your icons, restart and let the system create a new file

thanks to hypercube
HTML Code:
http://www.sevenforums.com/members/hypercube.html
for original suggestion. I screwed up his instructions and found the above solution

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/247747-icon-sizes-reset-after-restart.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I am selling my laptop on ebay and need to reset it. I tried it standard and it failed. Read elsewhere that MBR might be corrupt. Tried boot/FixMbr or whatever and that failed also... What can I do? Please please help

A:Windows 8 Restart/Reset Major problem...

hi, the laptop should have a recovery partition to boot to and restore it back to factory setup.
usually a F key combo to get to it like F4 or F11 or F12 ,what make and model # is the laptop

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/45014-windows-8-restart-reset-major-problem.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi everyone!

I have a problem in Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

I define the toolbars in my taskbar to point to quicklaunch & My Computer, but whenever I restart/shutdown the definitions vanish and I need to redefine which is really annoying.

I downloaded Windows Manager which was recommended here for saving of positions, sizes , etc of folders. It's a great software but I can't seem to use it to save these toolbar definitions, maybe I can and I just don't know how?

Or is there another way maybe in the registry you can recommend upon?

Thanks in advance!

A:Toolbar definitions in taskbar reset after restart

Hi,

I also have the same problems with windows 7 pro and home premium regarding the taskbar resetting after rebooting or resetting explorer.exe. I opened a thread on cnet forums regarding this issue but i've yet to find a solution to this. I have two different computer, a desktop and a laptop and both systems present the same exact problem. Please read my post maybe we will be able to find a solution to this issue.
Windows 7 Doest not Maintain Customized Taskbar Settings - CNET Windows 7 Forums

Cheers,

Jose G.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/27260-toolbar-definitions-taskbar-reset-after-restart.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi all Long story short I found it necessary to use the recovery disks I created for my dell inspiron n and reset to factory settings The recovery seemed to go well Windows booted and configured for st use Restarting a few times in the process Windows then indicated it needed to restart after downloading update When it restarted windows failed to boot instead the windows boot manager came up with the following msg Windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change and Windows will boot reset 7 after not factory restart might be the cause To fix the problem Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer Choose your language settings and then click quot Next Windows 7 will not boot after factory reset and restart quot Click quot Repair your computer quot If you do not have this disc contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance Status xc e Info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible So I tried again this time letting windows download all updates same result So I tried again disabling auto update and after getting everything working restarted to the same msg I ve now recovered again updates disabled using it to type this but know if I restart the same issue will occur and I ll have to recover again Does this have something to do with edit bcdedit Anyone have an idea what s going on and how to fix this FYI I don t have a windows installation disc F options Windows gives the same msg and the memory test will not run giving this msg File boot memtest exe Status xc e Info The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt EDIT I found memtest exe under C Windows boot PCAT When I tried to run it it indicated that it cannot run in Windows mode This is a bit OS

A:Windows 7 will not boot after factory reset and restart

Hello -Edited due to Wrong links to programs -New and correct link for bcdedit BCDEDIT - How to Use - Windows 7 ForumsYou must load and burn the 64bit version of Memtest 86, and it will also run on 32bit systems with no problems -Memtest86 Version 4.0a (20-Aug-2011)•Multi-CPU Support! Multi-threaded for parallel testing of memory with up to 16 CPUs •Works with up to 64Gb of memory •Supports 32 and 64 bit CPUs •For installation and usage instructions Click Here However you must use an ISO burner like ImgBurn to burn the CD and not a Generic burner - I can / will edit the post and leave a link for ImgBurn in 2 minutes for you -Thank You - EDIT -Link for ImgBurn Download from File Hippo NOTE the only link to click is the one at Top Right side -Watch for any unwanted Add Ons during the download and refuse them, fhen continue -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/463471/windows-7-will-not-boot-after-factory-reset-and-restart/
Relevancy 49.88%

I'm running Windows on a machine with Windows pre-installed About months old Acer laptop mid specs The laptop would not shutdown or restart it would just hang saying 'shutting down' or 'restarting' I would have to turn it off manually This never really cleared up When deleting programs that needed a restart machine Can't reset restart, 8 Windows refresh or they would never go Can't restart, refresh or reset Windows 8 machine of course I looked up a solution for this which others had had success with changing some power options etc but nothing helped I then decided I'd better do a system restore but I didn't have any restore points which seems odd as I had restored it once before I then tried to refresh the system never heard of that option before and it would again just 'hang' saying 'preparing' The same for resetting I tried to restore to factory settings and came up with those error messages we are all to aware of After trying to refresh the PC is says the 'drive where Windows is installed is locked Unlock the drive to try again' And after trying to reset 'the PC it says unable to reset your PC A required drive partition is missing ' This brought me here I gather something is up with Windows not fully recognising the C drive which is where Windows is installed When I click on disk management it says 'connecting to virtual disk service ' but then does nothing I've been using comps for years and although not very good at IT have always been able to solve the problems by just reading forums posts of people who have same problem as me This is the first time I have actually joined a forum to get help thanks

A:Can't restart, refresh or reset Windows 8 machine

You're to the point of ordering restore discs from Acer if you did not make them.  I kinda wonder if the hard drive failed and if there any diagnostics available I would run them.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528709/cant-restart-refresh-or-reset-windows-8-machine/
Relevancy 49.88%

So two things when I restart my computer my saved and in-use cursor always resets back to the default cursor pack that comes with the system I had this issue in Windows too but now it's getting on & restart reset away Cursor default scrolling on goes to my nerves because I've got to go to the cursor customization panel every time I turn my computer back on for reasons The second reason is Cursor reset to default & scrolling goes away on restart not one I had in any previous versions On my laptop Cursor reset to default & scrolling goes away on restart touch pad I always use the invisible scroll bar option on the edge which you can turn on through the Synaptics settings which is now found in the same panel I use to change my cursor back Is there any way to make these two settings default so I don't have to redo them every single time I turn my computer on For the cursors I download make individual cursors and customized them saving the general group in a file I call 'custom cursors' I don't download entire packs I never have to reload the cursor set I'm trying to use I just have to pull up the panel and click 'ok' to get back out of it and this updates me to the custom cursors that were already on there like the system knew I wanted them but I just sort of had to remind it to activate them For the Synaptics issue I never had the problem before the Windows update and I use the scrolling function a LOT

A:Cursor reset to default & scrolling goes away on restart

I'm just posting on here again because it's been so long and the issue has NOT been solved. I don't know how it works on here, but this might bring it to the top of the 'recent' list instead of buried under forgotten issues. I guess I still want to know about the cursor thing, if that's even possible, but I'm really, real tired of fixing the scroll bar going away every time I restart my computer.
I use the scroll bar on the side of my touch pad a lot. And the fact I have to update my synaptics settings every single time is getting on my nerves. I didn't have to in Windows 8, 8.1, or 7. So is there a way to fix this?
Is anyone else having this issue, even?

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/23087-cursor-reset-default-scrolling-goes-away-restart.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi,

Yesterday we had a 3 second power failure and when my computer restarted, the desktop icons were taking foreverrrr to show up (usually my computer takes 30 secs to load up because I only have a few programs installed at the moment). So I forced shutdown using the button and then booted up again.

Now it won't get past the MOBO's post screen and I can't even use my keyboard to get into the startup or the bios. Every time I shut down my computer, when I go to turn it back on the same thing happens and the only way I can get it going again is to reset the jumpers.

I did research prior to asking for help, but it seemed that everyone had different issues. I've never heard of this one before. My only guess is the MOBO battery, but I highly doubt it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot!

A:Freezes at post screen. Need to reset jumpers EVERY restart

The cmos battery does not stop a post. You will get an error however the system will post.

I would put the system into a very basic state.
1 Open the case and pull the pw connector from ALL drives; hd and optical.
2 Disconnect any usb type device
3 Pull out any add-in cards such as sound, nic, etc. Leave in your video card
4 Remove all ram except one stick.

Now attempt a post. If it fails, shutdown and try a different ram chip.

If it still fails to post, you will need to swap parts with known good ones; ie power supply, motherboard, ram, etc to find the problem.

FWIW I just fixed a family member's system that suffered a power failure/surge. It was just the pw supply that went out [they were lucky]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/freezes-at-post-screen-need-to-reset-jumpers-every-restart.747277/
Relevancy 49.45%

Recently I made my first custom mouse cursor Custom cursors mouse restart? reset upon to default scheme using the Microangelo Toolset I saved the scheme and applied it I also re-saved the theme as well i e background colors icons etc Custom mouse cursors reset to default upon restart? so that the mouse scheme would be associated with my current desktop theme Everything works fine until I restart my computer When I restart my desktop theme loads but not the mouse scheme If I right-click on the desktop and select personalize and then select a different theme and then switch back the cursor scheme loads But having to do this every time my computer Custom mouse cursors reset to default upon restart? starts up is annoying So I want to know what I need to do to get these custom cursors to load on start-up thanks in advance Edit Okay I just realized I was wrong about something When I restart and switch themes Custom mouse cursors reset to default upon restart? and then switch back only some of my custom cursors load Specifically my custom re-size i e horizontal vertical re-size etc cursors do not load instead the re-size cursors from one of the default schemes loads I think there might be some other one's that don't load also Edit Alright nevermind I got it working I had my custom cursors saved in my microangelo folder so I copied and pasted them into the windows default cursor folder C Computer Local Disk C Windows Cursors Then I went back to the pointers tab in the mouse properties window i e right-click desktop gt personalize gt Change mouse pointers I selected my scheme and then manually browsed to the new location for each cursor Then saved my scheme Then I went back to the personalization window and it said I had an unsaved theme so I saved my theme That's it works now

A:Custom mouse cursors reset to default upon restart?

ech..... that's good for you.. i have same problem. You just copied all your custom cursor folder to Windows/Cursors folder? i've tried to do this but it didn't helped me... Maybe it's becuz i have another custom cursor installed on my PC? O__o

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/175699-custom-mouse-cursors-reset-default-upon-restart.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I've been getting a strange reset of system wide settings upon awake and restart . When I say system wide , I mean desktop , various Windows settings/programs , and Game settings / Data . I have scanned for malware / viruses . I've done a few hard drive error checks . I've also looked at the Event log , but have found no reason why it does this . It has done this for the past few months . I'm trying to avoid doing a system restore or fresh install . Anybody have any suggestions?

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/68861-strange-system-settings-reset-wake-restart.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I set Windows update to notify me to schedule a restart.

To my horror, I found it had been reset to Automatic (recommended).

I didn't do that... so that's not good. Has anyone experienced this?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/42102-schedule-restart-found-reset-automatic-recommended-how-when.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Windows 7 x64 Professional. I have several issues. Most notable is the fact that I will tell the system to restart (shutdown menu) and it will eventually restart (sometimes hangs at "logging off...") then fails to post after shutting down on the restart. If I manually toggle my reset button, the system starts up fine with no errors. If I had to power off during a hang at shutdown, I get a prompt with startup options saying the system failed to shut down correctly.

Other issues which may be related: Windows update freezes after opening only displaying the loading mouse (think hourglass) and a white screen. I have to force quit from task manager. iTunes also fails to launch, but opens a process (visable in task manager).

I have tried a system settings/files restore, with no progress.

Any help!?

Thanks!

A:fail to post after restart, but fixed with reset button

Welcome to Seven forums LongN3ck.
Offhand this sounds like a bad motherboard. Power off and remove all USB devices, except keyboard, mouse, and try it. Take out all memory modules except one and try it.
Power off and reset CMOS. Pull the power cable out first.
*Method one, remove the coin battery and short the battery terminals for 10 seconds.
*Method two, The mother board may have CMOS reset jumpers, short them for 10 seconds.

If the issue persists I still think its a bad board. I've had much experience with bad ones.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/216695-fail-post-after-restart-but-fixed-reset-button.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello every one I've been having a long term problem that has basically plagued my computer since I've built it Yet the issue manifests itself in different ways through out the years The issue is At certain seemingly random points my computer screen freezes with no BSOD Computer is still running with Firefox freezing Random, Life. Hard in Second hard and reset required. fans going No error message Sound stops Mouse is not responsive on screen Nothing works Screen is frozen on the last picture A holding down of the power button for a hard reset is the only way to recover Through out the years since I've changed graphics cards and RAM chips in order to try and solve this Random, hard freezing in Firefox and Second Life. Hard reset required. problem I've found that the RAM had no effect on the issue but the graphics cards perhaps did Back in I had constant random freezing at random intervals during the days of the week whilst basically doing any thing An SLI set up of two Geforce s I finally discarded one of the graphics cards to only run one and that seemingly fixed most random freezing issues for some time Though it did happen on some rare occasion that I could not explain How ever In I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX OC and found that issues immediately arose again I could not activity render videos in Adobe Premiere Elements whilst working on the video editing software with out a hard freeze Basically unable to render videos in real-time whilst working on them any more More issues started occurring later with this same card When watching Youtube videos in Firefox browser Occasionally with increasing frequency watching videos in the browser were causing this problem Then I discovered the option to disable 'hardware acceleration' and the problem hasn't arisen in the browser since Come Using a program known as 'Second Life' that does tend to use a lot of resources When computer resources were being strained too hard this problem did return on a rare occasion when I was running dual clients of this program In this same program known as 'Second Life' had gone through some updates and now for some reason the freezing issue has reared its ugly head in a big way Some times I can't be on this program for even an hour and the hard freeze occurs To fix this issue from that point I've tried updating to the latest graphics drivers No success I've even upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX Ti and again updated to the latest graphics drivers The issue still persists and renders use of them program unusable I am able to play games such as Guild Wars Grand Theft Auto Trove etc with out issue how ever I do not know what is causing the issue in order to know what I need to fix My current setup is ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Operating System Windows Professional -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd System Model X A-UD BIOS Award Modular BIOS v PG Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce GTX Ti DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV C amp SUBSYS amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit H... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396853-random-hard-freezing-firefox-second-life-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi All,

My Proxy Settings keep going to reset after restart every time in Internet Explorer 11 and every time i need to set Proxy again.
Proxy is going reset to automatically detect!

Can some help me urgent to resolve this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5da3112c-fd63-4543-b1f3-487e12a8763c/proxy-settings-keep-reset-after-restart-in-internet-explorer-11-urgent-help?forum=w7itproappcompat
Relevancy 47.73%

Sound levels of main driver reset on closing the lid sleep or restart Main driver Soundmax as installed via Windows Update Overlayed driver SRS Audio Sandbox Main output Line Out quot Default quot levels for Main Left Right Preferred levels Solved: levels sound driver lid restart/sleep/closing at reset Soundmax for Main Left Right Left Right settings Solved: Soundmax driver sound levels reset at restart/sleep/closing lid available in additional settings for balance per channel Left Right was once chosen to compensate for slightly broken headphone At preferred levels using the volume buttons to alter levels processed Solved: Soundmax driver sound levels reset at restart/sleep/closing lid with SRS Audio Sandbox provide a tolerable maximum level is good is way to loud Clearly something causes the settings to reset to the wrong quot Default levels quot Code Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Professional Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Hewlett-Packard E KBC Version CE CVX Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled Code Laptop HP EliteBook p Pre-installed OS Vista Currently installed x Vista Driver Soundmax original Never used Vista unknown if issue exists in Vista Driver Soundmax via Windows Update Has issue Currently in use Driver Soundmax original Has issue Overlay Driver Application SRS Audio Sandbox x Has no effect on issue is not cause of issue Soundmax original has custom options panel in Control Panel does not provide sound level options unknown if case in Vista in this custom panel Whether Soundmax or SRS Audio Sandbox is the default device or default communications device or both the problem persists When sound levels of Soundmax are high adjusting the volume via main volume buttons provides a too high maximum volume and too big increases of volume per step This and resetting the left-right balance is the reason for adjusting the Soundmax levels from to The volume buttons control the volume as processed by SRS Audio Sandbox Thus the Soundmax volume acts as a Master volume I can alter the maximum level and relative levels for left and right via the Control Panel gt Hardware and Sound gt Sound panel clicking the Soundmax driver clicking properties and altering the settings in the levels tab The problem occurs when I close the lid set the laptop to sleep or restart it The soundmax levels reset to the quot Default quot levels only to blow my ears to destruction once again Does anyone know the answer to this issue I Google d for this issue and while I got similar issues with sound none shared enough similarity to provide an answer Thanks in advance UPDATE Closing the lid doesn t always seem to start the issue Maybe something else is going on nbsp

A:Solved: Soundmax driver sound levels reset at restart/sleep/closing lid

Fix: It seems Skype was causing the issue. An update apparently reset some settings, which caused Skype to automatically adjust sound levels. Switching this option of in Skype provided me with a few hours and a sleep-awake scene without the problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-soundmax-driver-sound-levels-reset-at-restart-sleep-closing-lid.1003580/
Relevancy 44.72%

i have a problem i hve contracted the se dll virus it is extremely hard to get rid of i have HELP Erm...basically... ME!!!!!!!! installed tonnes of new anti virus software and its not helping it has finally reduced the problem enough to use the internet but it is still crashing every seconds i really need your help i will post a hjt log and more if you like but it is serious issue when Erm...basically... HELP ME!!!!!!!! i open IE it comes up with an error message quot access is denied quot it is a very vicous malware please help Erm...basically... HELP ME!!!!!!!! thnx in advance Insomniac Edit it seems to download new viruses like a Erm...basically... HELP ME!!!!!!!! trojan i now have power something or other and other crap i never touched in my life it's driving me to insanity Hjt log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C WINDOWS System popcorn exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C Program Files Alias Maya Personal Learning Edition docs wrapper exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Alias Maya Personal Learning Edition docs jre bin java exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Daily Weather Forecast weather exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Loren Desktop hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page C WINDOWS System msblank html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page O - HKLM Run Desktop Search C WINDOWS isrvs desktop exe O - HKLM Run ffis C WINDOWS isrvs ffisearch exe O - HKLM Run ControlPanel C WINDOWS System popcorn exe rundll dll LoadMouseProfile O - HKLM Run mgdkp C WINDOWS System mgdkp exe O - HKLM Run Power Scan C Program Files Power Scan powerscan exe O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run Cmaudio RunDll cmicnfg cpl CMICtrlWnd O - HKLM Run Daily Weather Forecast C Program Files Daily Weather Forecast weather exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe O - Trusted Zone http www neededware com O - DPF F C BA- F- C -B E -ECFD EED Installer Class - http www ysbweb com ist softwares sb regular cab O - DPF C - ECF- B -B F - E EDD Installer Class - http www xxxtoolbar com ist softwa regular cab O - Filter text html - FB-C - - - D F E - C WINDOWS isrvs mfiltis dll O - Service AVG Alert Manager Server Avg Alrt - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe O - Service AVG Update Service Avg UpdSvc - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe O - Service InCD Helper InCDsrv - Ahead Software AG - C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe O - Service InCD Helper read only InCDsrvR - Ahead Software AG - C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe O - Service iPod Service iPodService - Apple Computer Inc - C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe O - Service Maya PLE Documentation Server mple docserver - Unknown owner - C Program Files Alias Maya Personal Learning Edition docs wrapper exe quot -s quot C Program Files Alias Maya Personal Learning Edition docs Wrapper conf file missing O - Service NVIDIA Display Driver Service NVSvc - NVIDIA Corporation - C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe O - Service System Startup Service SvcProc - Unknown owner - C WINDOWS svcproc exe

A:Erm...basically... HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Hi...welcome to TSF

Have you tried TDS-3:-

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=home

Be sure to update it before using... if that doesn't help you need the HJT board... try the above and if it doesn't shift it, repost with a request for one of the moderators to move you to the HJT board

Peter

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/erm-basically-help-me-55666.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Will hard reset result in loss of valuable data (data in hard disk)?

A:Hard reset

No. A hard reset will not caue data loss.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-reset/td-p/5788091
Relevancy 44.29%

when using hardware buttons to perform hard reset it does'nt work. i cant reach recovery mode, the phone just powers on normally every time

A:why cant i do a hard reset

If you can't figure out the hardware keys, you can reset the phone through settings > about > reset my phone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/443752-why-cant-i-do-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 44.29%

How do I do a hard reset on my hp lap top

A:How do I do a hard reset on my hp lap top

Hi: Here is a link with information for how to do a hard reset... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/How-do-I-do-a-hard-reset-on-my-hp-lap-top/td-p/5743314
Relevancy 44.29%

Im locked out of my phone, and Ive tried to do all the steps for a hard reset and it doesnt work.
Tried - Volume down and power the phone keeps cycleing through the boot up with an (!) on the screen
Tried - Volume down, Volume up, power off, no change

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439847-i-cant-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I need to run a hard reset on an Pavillion notebook as it won't start up at all/slowly. If I do this will it delete any saved files on the notebook as my daughter has all her exam work on it.Thx

A:Hard Reset

A reset will delete all of the files on the notebook. It is not a hard reset. that is something different. Have you tried booting to the usb recovery media that you should have created by now?If you do that, you can use Windows system restore to resolve the issue.  Do you see it below the Precautions heading in the image? Windows System refresh will also fix the issue without deleting any personal files.    

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Reset/td-p/5566689
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello
I have a Toshiba windows Xp professional 2001 Laptop

Before I got this error my computer was doing a shut down update. I forgot to plug the charger before I left to work and the screen said "please do not unplug or shut off computer" so I'm guessing my computer died before it could finish updating. I went home turned it on and got "a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart" restarted it and just keeps looping to that screen.

Spent hours searching the internet for a solution and nothing. So the only answer I could think of is factory reset it. Is there another way? Will it work? Please help

Thanks in advance

A:Will Factory Reset Fix "a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

If you have a Windows XP CD you can boot off of the that and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter this will try to repair any problems.
If you don't have an XP CD, you can download the ISO image for the Recovery Console: DOWNLOAD: Windows Recovery Console Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD in the troubled computer, and follow the above instructions.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/will-factory-reset-fix-a-disk-read-error-occurred-press-ctrl-alt-del-to-restart-907714.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi , I'm using windows 8.1 on ASUS N series laptop 64 bit, my windows got problem and after i updated to windows 10 and try to factory reset it, it got to 99% and say that the window has a problem, it cannot reset my windows and stuck in restart loops.

I've spam F9 and try to reset the pc again, but the problem still persist and i even try to solve it with the advanced options ( startup repair, system restore, system image recovery setting - all end up with this pc require administration account, and somehow my account is lost due to reset earlier) i even try to reinstall windows with CD but it doesnt detected.

It seems like i lost both my windows 8 and windows 10 on the laptop.

Can anyone please help me. Tq

A:Windows 8.1 & windows 10 : fail to factory reset and stuck in restart

Since you did upgrade and activate (did it activate okay?) then you should be able to clean install Windows 10 and have it activate.
See here: Windows 10 - Clean Install

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/14251-windows-8-1-windows-10-fail-factory-reset-stuck-restart.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey, again i'm having another computer problem.
Here's the basics of what's going on:
I can not open anything on my desktop, in or out of folders, but I can actually open the folders.
I can open my C: drive, my documents, my computer etc.
But when I want to open a program say MSN here's what I get.
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.Click to expand...

This is the same with pretty much anything.
I can't even run HijackThis or any of my anti-viruses.
I'm not sure even you can fix it, do I have to consult a computer engineer for my problem, or can I do it manually?

Relevancy 43.86%

Running XP Home Edition Hijacked hompage unable to remove programs computer gradualaly getting slower random pop-ups Something called winzl exe is always running even after ending its process Logfile of HijackThis v basically everything Problems with Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system crypserv exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security Tmntsrv exe C Program Problems with basically everything Files Trend Micro Problems with basically everything Internet Security tmproxy exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security PccPfw exe C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C Program Files Microsoft Hardware Keyboard type exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security pccguide exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security PCClient exe C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security TMOAgent exe C Program Files CursorXP CursorXP exe C WINDOWS system sysva exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C WINDOWS system winzl exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Kyle Thomas My Documents HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINDOWS system xmhgz dll sp html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page res xmhgz dll index html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page res xmhgz dll index html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINDOWS system xmhgz dll sp html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL res xmhgz dll index html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL res C WINDOWS system xmhgz dll sp html O - BHO no name - BABB - B - DB - D - CC D B F - C WINDOWS apish dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run AdaptecDirectCD C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run IntelliType quot C Program Files Microsoft Hardware Keyboard type exe quot O - HKLM Run VTPreset VTPreset exe O - HKLM Run pccguide exe quot C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security pccguide exe quot O - HKLM Run PCClient exe quot C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security PCClient exe quot O - HKLM Run TM Outbreak Agent quot C Program Files Trend Micro Internet Security TMOAgent exe quot run O - HKLM Run LVCOMS C WINDOWS System LVCOMS EXE O - HKLM Run winzl exe C WINDOWS system winzl exe O - HKCU Run CursorXP C Program Files CursorXP CursorXP exe O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot background O - HKCU Run SpyKiller C Program Files SpyKiller spykiller exe startup O - HKLM RunOnce sysva exe C WINDOWS system sysva exe O - HKLM RunOnce atlvy exe C WINDOWS system atlvy exe O - HKLM RunOnce iezx exe C WINDOWS system iezx exe O - HKLM RunOnce SpybotSnD quot C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SpybotSD exe quot autocheck O - Global Startup MSN Messenger lnk O - Extra button Messenger HKLM O - Extra Tools menuitem Messenger HKLM O - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dll O - DPF ppctlcab - http www pestscan com scanner ppctlcab cab O - DPF B CFB- - -A -C A C Checkers Class - http messenger zone msn com binary msgrchkr cab cab O - DPF B BCA- F C- CF- - Shockwave ActiveX Control - http download macromedia com pub shockwave cabs director sw cab O - DPF F-F B- B D- DF- B B Minesweeper Flags Class - http messenger zone msn com binary MineSweeper cab cab O - DPF FC A E- - E - - DB PPSDKActiveXScanner MainScreen - http www pestscan com scanner axscanner cab O - DPF D D - - D -BDCD- C F A B ... Read more

Relevancy 43.86%

A couple of days ago, I accidentally clicked on a link in the google search results that may have possibly infected my laptop. Now, when I click on search results in google, it randomly redirects me to a random ad site.

So far this is only affecting Google on Firefox, but as the redirection thing is random, I dunno if it's affecting IE as well.

I really need some help with this, because my friend will practically kill me if she finds out I got a virus on her laptop.

(I'll post the HijackThis log tonight when I have more time. xP I just really want an idea as to if I can fix this without reformatting the whole bloody laptop)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/yep-basically-the-armageddon-_.959694/
Relevancy 43.86%

i cant see the russian language in text files or when i want to install something .. it always gives me code... on the internet though i cans ee and write russian... how do you make russain readable in files?

A:Solved: %*&@#%(*& basically this...

bump...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-basically-this.576122/
Relevancy 43.86%

I took out my motherboard to omit the backplate for my new water cooler. When I plugged all my cables back in, the pc did not turn on. I turned my psu on and off and pressed the power button. Suddenly a huge spark came out my pc.

Please help
What do I do

A:Pc basically exploded

Sounds like you fried it/some/or all of it....not good, not good at all.

The water cooler has to have a back plate....all coolers have a back plate, that's how they mount the bracket for the heatsink.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/128816-pc-basically-exploded.html
Relevancy 43.86%

A couple of years ago my parents had this Gateway desktop computer One day it crashed and it hasn't been working since A couple of days ago they gave me this broken computer and told me that I could have it Everything is Basically Corrupted if I fix it I'm fourteen but Basically Everything is Corrupted I'm better at computers than people double or triple my age I've fixed computers before with boot CDs and command prompt and chkdsk and all that stuff so I took this challenge So I spent a day on it and I managed to quot fix quot it Basically I tried starting the computer and it crashed with the blue screen of death with various errors such as kernels are corrupted drivers were corrupted the computer was reading the files incorrectly etc I used Darik's Boot and Nuke to completely remove everything with the computer and it went pretty well I restarted the computer and I couldn't do anything because I removed the operating system so I reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium SP onto the computer It was missing some drivers so I went to the Gateway website to download the RAID Controllers it took hours of searching on the internet to come up with that saved it onto a flash drive and loaded it into the installer The installation went fine and I had a working Vista Then I read Darik's Boot and Nuke and how the drivers are removed along with the operating system Logically I went back to the Gateway drivers download support page selected my computer model and downloaded the drivers all the drivers that I thought would be necessary for my new working computer the Realtek Audio Driver -in- Card Reader Keyboard Driver and the VGA driver I installed all of these and I know that the Realtek Audio Driver and -in- Card Reader were necessary and I got the VGA driver for video obviously I'm not sure what the Keyboard Driver was for as my keyboard was already working perfectly fine but I thought quot better safe than sorry quot I restarted because of the VGA driver and it restarted fine The resolution was better and I was planning to get the internet driver as that was erased too but by this time it was AM As I stated before I'm fourteen years old and I had school the next day I decided to sleep and I left the computer on I leave my laptop on overnight all the time - no more customizing or installing stuff or opening programs or anything other than what I've described here The next day after school I come home to the monitor obviously on standby I'm sure my parents didn't come in while I was sleeping or at school and messed with it - they don't even know that I fixed it Nothing happened when I restarted the monitor moved clicked the mouse or pressed keys on the keyboard so I did a hard reset also known as holding the power button until the computer turns off When the computer restarted I was greeted with a message quot A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart quot I restarted with Ctrl Alt Del and the message just repeated F doesn't work I tried using the Windows Vista Recovery Disk from that NeoSmart website this same disk actually saved my laptop a few times The blue screen of death shows up after the Windows files are loaded saying something about acpi sys and some more technical information At the top under quot A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer quot was this quot DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL quot I retry this disk a few times with the blue screen having different errors sometimes Eventually I decide to burn a new Vista Recovery Disk so I re-download that ISO and burn it to a CD I try this new disk hoping that the first one was just corrupted but this one has the same blue screen except without the acpi sys at the bottom This leads me to believe that there was more than just one problem on this computer I try putting in the Vista Installation Disk hoping that I can reinstall it or repair it A Windows Boot Manager prompt shows up and states that quot Windows failed to ... Read more

A:Basically Everything is Corrupted

These people think it is your graphics driver or too much RAM.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - Vista Help

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/288201-basically-everything-corrupted.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,

First of all, sorry to make another topic / thread so soon after I made the other one regarding a high usage of RAM.

My first problem, and biggest problem, would be that my explorer.exe keeps crashing instantly after starting up. I tried searching this forum and it came up with Troubleshooting Explorer.exe Crashing Issues - Windows 7 Forums. As you can read, on the first step it says I have to try an sfc /scannow which leads to my second problem, it gives me the error that I have to be a computer administrator, which I am.

Picture 1, the explorer.exe crash.
Picture 2, the non-admin admin problem.
Thanks in advance!

A:Two problems, basically

I think I can help get your SFC working. You need to right click the command prompt and select "run as administrator". Then the SFC /SCANNOW should work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/217434-two-problems-basically.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi everyone I'm Matt I'm new here so Hi D Apologies if this is the wrong place but seemed the most appropriate place to post for help Bear with me this is probably going to be a long post but I am in desperate need of help if anyone can offer any OK a bit of background I am running a reasonably new less than a year old tower Windows Ultimate SP AMD FX- GB RAM Single Channel DDR MHz - - - TB Seagate ST AS ATA with GB of free space all taken from Piriforms' 'Speccy' software - Please tell me if any more information is needed I can post screenshots of basically Desperate given up need PC of has help, all the Speccy screens if needs Desperate need of help, PC has basically given up be I am also on BT Fibre Optic Broadband with supposed speeds of up to roughly mb connected via ethernet I have Avast free antivirus Avast Grimefighter AVG free antivirus Malware Bytes BitDefender Piriform CCleaner Piriform Defraggler Desperate need of help, PC has basically given up as well as Windows Defender and Windows Defrag Generally speaking I only use Avast Antivirus and Grimefighter Desperate need of help, PC has basically given up CCleaner and Defraggler and Malware Bytes but it doesn't hurt to be careful right All was running well up until a few weeks ago when I started noticed it slowing down a fair bit during internet usage videos etc I also had the 'Windows Start Up Repair' option appear several times I ran it and it was working for days straight with no end in sight but needed to use PC at time so had to power off and hope it worked when I turned it back on It came up with the option to do the start up repair again or just start windows normally I chose the latter and it loaded up Windows though it gave me the option again next time I turned it on I ran a few scans with CCleaner deleted all the unecessary files that were found about mb and carried on I do a virus check most if not every day and nothing It has got much much worse since then chugging to basically a standstill at the mere attempt at opening Spotify or any other program really It seems to give the 'not responding' message at pretty much every program opened hangs for a minute or two lets me carry on then will probably repeat the process This obviously makes doing anything on the machine very difficult I have tried to watch several HD p usually movies and tv shows since and it takes ages sometimes minutes to even open the file And when it finally does it stops and stutters and sometimes even loops over and over using VLC player though have tried many others and problems persist Though I know it's not the files themselves because it happens at different parts for different players Have tried uninstalling and deleting everything then reinstalling but problems persist Also doing anything on the internet seems to take forever again sometimes being minutes to open pages I am using Chrome as my default browser but also have Firefox and IE installed just in case and it basically can't seem to do anything without taking forever Even simple pages like IGN or Facebook can take ages to load with the videos not playing correctly sometimes It seems to struggle less with Firefox but I much prefer Chrome I have uninstalled and reinstalled both browsers but nothing changed I have ran many many antivirus tests with all of the above software found nothing I have ran Grimefighter a few times and although it said it removed many items it hasn't really done much in terms of performance I have defragged and Defraggled the machine twice and it hasn't helped I have used CCleaner for registry file checking as well as CHKDISK I think it's called and another tool that I can't remember the name of at present Everything seems to be as it should with no problems or errors yet my PC still is running at a terrible pace I don't know what else to try as everything is seemingly normal I spend quite a lot of time on my PC and would love to have it up and running as it should be again When if it IS working everyt... Read more

A:Desperate need of help, PC has basically given up

I see you listed both Avast and AVG.  You do know you can't run them both at the same time, don't you?

I'd suggest trying a clean boot for starters.  Start MSCONFIG and click the Startup tab (Note: avoid the other tabs).  Uncheck everything there except your antivirus program and reboot.  See if that helps.  

Then  download minitoolbox and run it with the following boxes checked:

List last 10 Event Viewer Errors

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions, and Memory size

List Minidump files

Copy the resulting log and paste into a reply here.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539007/desperate-need-of-help-pc-has-basically-given-up/
Relevancy 43.86%

Is there any way to disable a hard reset of a laptop (i.e. holding the power button down for five seconds)? Could one use C sharp or something like this to achieve this goal? Any help would be appreciated.

A:Disable Hard Reset

There's usually a setting in the BIOS to control this behavior. In XP and Vista you can adjust the settings for the Power button in the Control Panel...Power Options applet.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/157338/disable-hard-reset/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,I seem to have corrupt bios.  I was setting up the system with Xubuntu 16.04 so I went into the bios settings to change it from "Legacy" to "UEFI with CMS" after I saved it and rebooted it went to a blank screen with the backlight on.  Since then I've gone through the hard reset proceedures posted here using the external method with both of the bios versions posted. So far nothing has worked but it is accessing the usb drive and the screen backlight does come on and off but only in the early stages of the process.  After that, nothing! I've tried holding the "win" key and "b" for several minutes so I'm fairly sure I'm not letting go too early.  No flashing lights or beeps! So is this the right proceedure?  Any suggestions?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-reset-on-a-14-d004au/td-p/5714711
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi! I've a great problem. I've activated HP Drive Encryption with no fingerprint access and my tablet dowsn't recognize my password. I can't login and I don't know how to enter in the BIOS. How can I do a hard reset?Thanks!

A:Hard Reset on HP Elite X2

Hard reset documenthttp://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/  You will need to contact HP directly for your issue. See the following web document for contact options.http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/help/contactHP/home/ 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Hard-Reset-on-HP-Elite-X2/td-p/5540680
Relevancy 43.86%

i want to hard reset my laptop bac to out of the box factory settings but everytime i try it with the f11 option it keeps asking for a disc to continue. laptop didnt come with a operating system disc. and if i try to fully reset it throught the options menu it doesnt do anything, all it does is say this will take a moment then that screen closes and nothing ever happens it takes me back to my desktop but never resets my computer.

A:i can not hard reset my laptop

Hello, Your PC came with Windows 8.1. The Win 10 upgrade killed the recovery partition. You need an HP Recovery disc set . The Grzy

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/i-can-not-hard-reset-my-laptop/td-p/5825375
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi, I've been working on a computer that has had a lot of recent issues with its hard drive, and I'm getting tired of trying to fix it with the computer utilities. Could I have a link to instructions on how to completely reset my hard drive, erasing everything on it? The computer is a Dimension 8250 and doesn't have a warrantee any longer, nor does it have anything valuable on it, although I could easily transfer the few remaining files that I would like to keep onto another computer. I also have the XP boot disc, so I should be ready to do this. Thks.

A:Reset Hard Drive

Hi .

If "reset" means delete everything...

You can just use the XP CD...to delete everything on any drive, before creating a new partition/formatting/installing XP.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176180/reset-hard-drive/
Relevancy 43.86%

After spending after boot reset. only hard will PC many hours perusing various threads on numerous sites I find myself no PC will only boot after hard reset. further on troubleshooting the following boot problem The PC will not boot from cold but will work perfectly after a hard reset Apologies in advance for this massive post but it will prevent exploring places I have explored already I built the following system for my son for Christmas ABIT NF V mb AMD PC will only boot after hard reset. Sempron Boxed with fan single stick mb Kingston DDR Memory ATI Radeon mb video card Sony DVD drive Single Western Digital WD JD rpm SATA gb HDD Zoom G-Wireless USB mbs card TV XP global TV tuner card PCI LG S TFT monitor W PSU with V on the V rail Windows XP home On first assembly everything booted up and worked fine The following day on a cold boot the system hung before during POST No single normal beep and fans were turning and both HDD and DVD drive lights came on The reset button did not have any effect A couple of hard power-offs did the trick - system booted into windows fine Again the following day on a cold start the system hung but I had a couple of different POST codes at different times Two tone siren short beeps repeating longer beep about sec long but did not self shut down just continued with the beeping until I switched the power off reset had no effect On investigating various web sites threads I decided on replacing the PSU two tone beeps out of limit voltage detection and on looking on ABIT TEQ the V rail was a bit unstable about - I also increased AGP and Vcore voltages by small amounts as recommended on the Abit Forum threads but no improvement I replaced the PSU with a Jeantech W unit Bet you can guess though New PSU did not help I have since done three clean installs of windows and formatted the HDD to try to eliminate virus driver snags Incidentally on the windows install the soft reboots initiated by windows setup resulted in single repeated beeps and system hangs Hard power off and reboot again enabled a normal boot back into windows Other threads suggest that the single repeating beep is not a terminal main board problem and I suspected the CMOS battery not enough juice to store the configuration hence the hanging on cold boot but changing it has not helped either I have also swapped RAM and graphics card ATI radeon XT from my other PC to eliminate those components as suspect Also tried running the RAM as rather than - Symptoms remained each time I then noticed that the DVD rom was not always recognised in the BIOS and so suspected an IDE channel failure After discussion with tech support people at ABIT I then RMAed the motherboard and replaced it for an ASUS K V X SE Since fitting the ASUS board the only remaining problem is that the PC will still not boot first time from cold You have to do a hard reset and then it boots fine and runs very well into windows I have now been investigating threads about the WD JD hard drive and its compatibility with the VT R chipset I have jumpered the HDD to lock at mb s Have also swapped in a different DVD drive but no change I am left with thinking that this is a BIOS setting issue or a SATA IDE conflict or BOOT issue I have tried play with boot order and the RAID screen but there appears to be nothing to change there I have also flashed the BIOS to from the ASUS web site I have checked for motherboard shorts seems clear I am also thinking of getting an EIDE HDD just to see if this is the problem but can t see why SATA shouldn t run with IDE on the same board So far I have Changed PSU twice Changed the mainboard Swapped in RAM Swapped in Graphics Card Changed GPU fan supply source Changed CMOS battery Changed voltages in the bios at the advice of the tech support man in UK Run various software based hardware checks eg PC Check and memtest which have all passed Sorry bout the war and peace but having read many threads it seems to pay to be thorough I really am starting struggle... Read more

A:PC will only boot after hard reset.

Wow, sounds like you've essentially swapped in a brand new computer.

You didn't put jumpers on the hard drive, did you? I've heard of that messing up SATA drives. Poke around the BIOS and mess with the drive settings, including raid configs that might not exist. it definately sounds like a BIOS problem related to your hard drive.

That does seem like a royal pain though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-will-only-boot-after-hard-reset.68670/
Relevancy 43.86%

I shut down my laptop today and went shopping. When I came home, it wouldn't turn on. This has happened a couple of times before and I've tried giving it a hard reset. I tried turning it on without the battery and just the power cord and nothing. The light where the power cord goes in is on when it is plugged in. I tried everything and still won't start. My warranty for this laptop is gone and don't know what else to try. Please help!

A:Won't start. Tried hard reset and everything

Hi @krakaholyknight, Thank you for your query. I am happy to lend a helping hand. To confirm that I have the correct product, yours is a HP Stream Notebook-11-d007na? I understand that your notebook was working when you shut it down. When you tried turning it on again it would not start. This has occurred a couple of times before and a hard reset  resolved the issue. You tried removing the battery but that did not help. You do see a light on the power port when connected to AC power.  Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10). Please let me know the outcome. If this has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful for my post, kindly click the ?Thumbs Up? below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Won-t-start-Tried-hard-reset-and-everything/td-p/5760886
Relevancy 43.86%

Product # N9T28AV (X360 15 inch convertibles)How do you do a "Hard Power Reset" as the battery is not accessible?...on older HP laptops with access to the battery, you would remove power plug, remove battery, hold the power button in for 30 seconds. Reassemble.I can find other reset references to different types of convertible devices but not the N9T28AVIf this is posted in the wrong section, please move to the correct locationIn anticipationThank you

A:Hard power reset

I asked HP about this earlier today.   There is no current documentation that describes how to hard reset an x360 notebook.   I have no idea as to how long it wil take before the Hard reset document is updated. As soon as it happens I will let you know. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Hard-power-reset/td-p/5450011
Relevancy 43.86%

If I make a hard reset to my phone, will be deleted also the content of the memory card?

A:Hard reset WM10

If you initiate from the settings menu you will be asked whether or not to erase the SD card. If you initiate using the key combination from a phone that will not start, I don't know what the default behavior is. I suggest you remove the card before using the key combination just to be safe.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438052-hard-reset-wm10.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey guys I am frustrated I wanted to dual-boot Windows on my Windows Home Premium laptop and shrinked my Drive Hard Reset disk by about GB I went on to create a new volume as you can see in the screenshot below I actually re-installed Reset Hard Drive Windows and succesfully managed to do so but now when I boot the Windows installer I get to the quot select volume quot part and the only option I can choose is my Windows volume Windows II in the screenshot For every other volume all the options like formatting deleting and creating a new one are greyed out Trying to install on unallocated space also does not work Now I have almost given up I have got almost no space left on my active volume and can not increase it nor can I install a new operating system because it doesn't work any of the virtual volumes What I would like to do now is to either be able to extend my active volume or to reset the whole harddrive and to re-install Windows all over again Please help me sevenforums

A:Reset Hard Drive

Well, for starters your disk is dynamic - no good. If you want that many primary partitions, initialize it in GPT.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/367494-reset-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Initially I was facing a problem wherein the keys A,S,D,F and some other keys were not working. The mousepad was also not working fine. I searched the net and got a page that suggested hard reset. Hence, I did the followingStep 01. Turned OFF the NotebookStep 02. Un-plugged the Power/AC Adapter and also removed the BatteryStep 03. Pressed and Held the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minuteStep 04. Re-inserted the battery back in  As soon as I re-inserted the battery, the following happenedPower button with LED indicator - is continuously onBattery charging LED indicator - is continuously onPower/standby LED indicator - is continuously onScreen is blank. Nothing is displayed on screen If I remove the battery the lights shut down. As soon as I put the battery the lights are on. Pressing the power button continuouslt doesn't help. Can someone please help in resolving the issue and starting my laptop.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/does-not-start-after-hard-reset/td-p/5679394
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello,I have recently smashed my screen so i am using a tv screen with a HDMI cable. I was doing a PowerPoint presentation and then it froze so I restarted my NoteBook but when I went to turn it back on the screen remained blank but it does turn on. I have tried hard reset on the notebook but I can't see it in the HDMI tv screen. And was wondering if there is a way to get everything back up and running again? Thank You.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:HDMI Hard Reset.

Hello,Sorry just got everything sorted thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HDMI-Hard-Reset/td-p/5823200
Relevancy 43.86%

My -month-old laptop was running poorly so I backed up my data to an external drive and used the Settings menu to reset the computer to its original state including deleting all data files nbsp The reset hung up at for many minutes without change so I tried a hard reset per the instructions on hard to reset Unable the HP Support website nbsp I removed the battery held down the Power button for seconds to discharge the capacitors reinstalled the battery and hit the Power button nbsp I get a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner for a few seconds then the HP logo appears for a few seconds then the screen goes dark nbsp This repeats endlessly nbsp No startup menu ever appears Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect and repeating the hard reset instructions has no effect nbsp The startup seems to get caught in a never-ending loop nbsp I just want to reset the laptop to its original configuration Any suggestions nbsp nbsp

A:Unable to hard reset

There are other ways you could run Reset/Recovery:http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Unable-to-hard-reset/td-p/5826966
Relevancy 43.86%

All of the sudden my computer is messing up. If I just start my computer up it boots up just like it should but lets say I install something and it says it needs to restart my computer is when it messes up.

The computer try's to start up and the light on the monitor turns to yellow but the computer never turns off and the yellow light on the monitor just goes away and comes back and goes away again and comes back.

It just keeps doing that and never restarts at all. In order to get my computer to re-boot I have to push the reset button on my tower and then my computer starts right up again. No matter what I do it will not do a restart.

Any suggestions any body????

Mike

A:Computer won't restart. Have to hit reset button to get computer back

Hello,

Are you experiencing a Blue Screen?
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

John

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/313726-computer-wont-restart-have-hit-reset-button-get-computer-back.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hey So I have a Toshiba Satellite A -S I had the ram a Basically new computer... setting up replaced in it a while ago and it was a faulty stick not too mention it was mis-installed Originally there were two GB DDR RAM Cards and they swapped one of the GB DDR RAM Cards for a GB DDR RAM Card and mis-installed it which basically corrupted my Operating System and lead to a hard-drive failure according Basically setting up a new computer... to Toshiba and Office Depot Toshiba wouldn't deal with it as it was out of warranty in a week from the time I called therefor I called Office Depot as I have -Year Extended Warranty to get this notebook serviced it's my main computer and runs nearly all day for multiple reasons IM Music Movies Photos Gaming Blogging Forums Socializing and downloads on a K Modem It also had random screen shut off issues which was apparently fixed in a BiOS after Toshiba directed me to update the BiOS to see if it fixed that issue Which it did and fix the issue with the hard-drive my computer Basically setting up a new computer... wouldn't even boot up past the green loading bar it'd hang on a black screen with a Basically setting up a new computer... white cursor as it wasn't loading my Windows Office Depot just sent back my notebook right now I'm away on vacation in Florida and will be heading home in about two weeks to my notebook with a new hard-drive and recovery discs whether or not it's a vista disc or just recovery discs I'm not sure I want to assure that I get the most out of my system and it's safely up to date I also need to re-install the new GB DDR RAM I'm looking for anything I have to do before after the installation to make sure that it's properly installed and problem free So below are some questions about what's going on Is there anyway of imaging cloning or burning a new set of Recovery Discs just in-case the originals fail Is there anyway of downloading the service pack updates bios etc on the computer I'm on now and burn to disc for install on my notebook when I get home I'm on dial-up and it makes it virtually impossible to download updates What's the best free anti-virus suite out there What do I have to do to assure that the ram is properly installed not faulty and problem free Should I download and install all my updates before I download and install the progams I use Would it be a good idea to make a system restore point or a back-up before I download install the updates and install the ram That's all my questions for now honestly I just want to assure that I get the most performance reliability and safety out of this notebook as it's my best computer I have a crappy desktop and don't have anymore money to spend on computers Thanks You're help is greatly appreciated

A:Basically setting up a new computer...

Originally Posted by Presario

Hey,

So I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7428. I had the ram replaced in it a while ago and it was a faulty stick not too mention it was mis-installed. Originally there were two 1GB DDR2 RAM Cards and they swapped one of the 1GB DDR2 RAM Cards for a 2GB DDR2 RAM Card and mis-installed it which basically corrupted my Operating System and lead to a hard-drive failure, according to Toshiba and Office Depot. Toshiba wouldn't deal with it as it was out of warranty in a week from the time I called, therefor I called Office Depot as I have 3-Year Extended Warranty to get this notebook serviced, it's my main computer and runs nearly all day for multiple reasons: IM, Music, Movies, Photos, Gaming, Blogging, Forums, Socializing and downloads on a 56K Modem. It also had random screen shut off issues which was apparently fixed in a BiOS, after Toshiba directed me to update the BiOS to see if it fixed that issue (Which it did!) and fix the issue with the hard-drive my computer wouldn't even boot up past the green loading bar, it'd hang on a black screen with a white cursor as it wasn't loading my Windows.

Office Depot just sent back my notebook, right now I'm away on vacation in Florida and will be heading home in about two weeks to my notebook with a new hard-drive and recovery discs, whether or not it's a vista disc or just recovery discs I'm not sure. I want to assure that I get the most out of my system and it's safely up to date. I also need to re-install the new 2GB DDR2 RAM, I'm looking for anything I have to do before/after the installation to make sure that it's properly installed and problem free. So, below are some questions about what's going on.

This has got to be a first! Honestly, I've never in 20 years heard of a faulty RAM stick causing hard disk failure!

1) Is there anyway of imaging, cloning or burning a new set of Recovery Discs just in-case the originals fail?

The easiest would be to use Nero (or some other DVD burning software) to make copies of said recovery discs, and then keep the originals in a safe place, using the copies when needed.

The second option would require you to get the system operational as you want it, then use Acronis True Image to clone the entire harddisk.

2) Is there anyway of downloading the service pack, updates, bios etc on the computer I'm on now and burn to disc for install on my notebook when I get home? (I'm on dial-up and it makes it virtually impossible to download updates)

Sure. Just go to the manufacturers website and download the appropriate files, burn them to disc, and use them when needed. Just besure to get the correct files, so as not to cause problems.

3) What's the best free anti-virus suite out there?

This is a matter of opinion. AVG comes highly recommended. I myself use Avast!

4) What do I have to do to assure that the ram is properly installed, not faulty and problem free?

Not much really. If it's not properly installed, then the computer will likely give you a warning about it. If the RAM is installed correctly but is faulty, then the computer POST will probably also detect this. Otherwise, you can always use the Vista Memory Test, which is available from the F8 boot menu.

5) Should I download and install all my updates before I download and install the progams I use?

It's a matter of preference. I like to follow this procedure:
Install Hardware and associated driversInstall all available and relevant Windows Updates.Install Software.

... Read more

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/200503-basically-setting-up-new-computer.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Okay, this is probably the worst my computer has EVER been.
All I can open is Task manager, The booting up alone took an hour. Hourglass comes on when I go over the taskbar and, My cpu was stuck at 100% before I quit sp_rsser.exe. Now my computers cpu is operating at a normal percentage but my computer is still pretty much frozen
help?!
btw, theres still an hourglass on taskbar and the dropdown menu on the desktop when you right click is frozen where it has been
x_x; please help me if possible!
but make it n00b friendly considering I can be pretty stupid.

A:Windows XP SP1 Basically frozen, CPU 100%

oh no,
a bunch of boxes popped up and i hit ok to them,
now windows is shutting down?
HELP >_<

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-sp1-basically-frozen-cpu-100.724766/
Relevancy 43.43%

please can someone give me a hand im having a hell of a time trying to get my comp to workbasically the screen goes empty except the wallpaper so its a big pain to get anything to run but the internetim not sure what i can delete or what the exact problem is so if someone could help me out it would Dissapears Basically The But Wallpaper Everything be greatly appreciatedhere is my logfile Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Windows system Dwm exeC Windows system taskeng exeC Program Everything Basically Dissapears But The Wallpaper Files Sigmatel C-Major Audio WDM sttray exeC Windows System hkcmd exeC Windows System igfxpers exeC Program Files Creative SBAudigy Volume Panel VolPanlu exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files Dell MediaDirect PCMService exeC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files DellSupport DSAgnt exeC Windows ehome ehtray exeC Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exeC Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exeC Windows System rundll exeC Everything Basically Dissapears But The Wallpaper Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exeC Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exeC Windows system igfxsrvc exeC Windows ehome ehmsas exeC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exeC Windows system Taskmgr exeC Program Files Internet Explorer ieuser exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Users danielvd Downloads HiJackThis v exeC Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil e exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Windows system NOTEPAD EXEC Windows System rundll exeC Program Files Windows Mail WinMail exeC Users danielvd Downloads HiJackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar about blankR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page about blankR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google ca ig dell hl en amp cli amp ibd R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www google ca ig dell hl en amp cli amp ibd R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Internet Explorer provided by DellR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhostO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exeO - HKLM Run SigmatelSysTrayApp C Program Files SigmaTel C-Major Audio WDM sttray exeO - HKLM Run IgfxTray C Windows system igfxtray exeO - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C Windows system hkcmd exeO - HKLM Run Persistence C Windows system igfxpers exeO - HKLM Run VolPanel quot C Program Files Creative SBAudigy Volume Panel VolPanlu exe quot rO - HKLM Run UpdReg C Windows UpdReg EXEO - HKLM Run ISUSScheduler quot C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe quot -startO - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run PCMService quot C Program Files Dell MediaDirect PCMService exe quot O - HKLM Run dscactivate quot C Program Files Dell Support Center gs agent custom dsca exe quot O - HKLM Run ECenter c dell E-Center EULALauncher exeO - HKLM Run Google Desktop Search quot C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe quot startupO - HKLM Run Symantec PIF AlertEng quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF... Read more

A:Everything Basically Dissapears But The Wallpaper

Welcome to the BleepingComputer HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum. My name is Richie and i'll be helping you to fix your problems.Apologies for the late response,as i'm sure you can appreciate we are extremely busy.If you've already recieved help at another forum and your issues have been resolved,or you're presently recieving help elsewhere then please let us know.If you have not followed the info in the link below prior to posting your log then please do so now:Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/If you still require help,please post a new Hijackthis log into this topic in your next reply.Also post a detailed description of the issues you're experiencing.*Note*Post all reports/logs directly into this topic,not as attachments,thanks.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/129626/everything-basically-dissapears-but-the-wallpaper/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi there The problem is, my laptop connects to wi-fi completely fine, like finds nearby ones fine and that's all well and good.  It's just it will randomly drop out when absolutely nothing has changed, and when I try to re-connect to the internet, it'll say there's none available, when there clearly is. What I've learnt is that I can fix it temporarily by putting it to sleep and going back on like normal, but it'll eventually randomly drop out again. I'm really not sure what to do, and it seems like it's doing it more often now I'm in a new house with completely brand new wi-fi. Please help!  Thank you

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Internet-dropping-in-and-out-basically/td-p/5793163
Relevancy 43.43%

Basically I am at the point of where we do not need this computer because I am at college and have a laptop and my mother hardly ever gets on the internet and when she does she has a tablet she can use However here is just a little rundown She called me up one day and told me the computer was not starting up This computer isn t too old maybe - years now maybe old in computer years but not for our usage but when you start it up there is no display from the monitor and basically now? dead, Computer what the fan Computer basically dead, what now? just goes extremely fast Since we do not need any files on it or anything she kind of just wants to get rid of it to make space and possibly sell the monitor keyboard etc However I know for a fact that we have gone onto bank websites and even have some saved passwords on the computer itself So donating this computer would probably be out of the question wouldn t it What should we do with this computer Thank you very much nbsp

A:Computer basically dead, what now?

If you donate it and not sell it you can remove the harddrive if its still good and use it as a spare.Since you cant even get the computer to work either because its a bad motherboard or power supply i dont think you will be able to run it long enough to wipe the drive.However donating a dead computer to have someone fix it might be more than its worth.If its one of those old monitors that looks like a tv set and not a flat screen one they have no value and very few people want those. The keyboard and mouse you wont get much for them. As for the tower a good computer repair place can remove what is salvageable and will then recycle it properly so it doesnt end up in a landfill.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-basically-dead-what-now.1061643/
Relevancy 43.43%

Okay so sorry im a me? anyone My nonfunctional help computer is Can basically total newb at Can anyone help me? My computer is basically nonfunctional this I seem to be bad luck for any computer I touch I just got a new laptop at the end of last summer and since then I have been having a bunch of problems I have been able to solve them all up until now I have no clue what's wrong and stupid me I never backed it up so anyway currently my computer won't go on the internet doesn't think it has a wifi card installed won't play audio doesn't think it has speakers--haunt tried plugging in external ones but my guess is it would work fine won't open any Microsoft office programs or files no clue why won't recognize my external hard drive or flash drive or any USB device And the list goes on Basically I'm giving up and wanna just wipe the whole thing restore it to factory state and start over Oh yea and did I mention that it been partitioned like times because I gave it to my friend to install linux and when it wasn't working he just kept trying and ended up installing ubuntu over and over again in a new partition Yea So anyway I really wanna back up all my stuff but how can I do that in a way that won't transfer the problem whatever it is and that I can do with only CDs I'm running windows seven home premium bit Any help on the backup and any tips in general would be really appreciated I am at the end of my role here and about to go crazy Sorry for the weird long crazy post I'm just like about to lose it EDIT Now I'm trying to back up my whole system using windows backup or whatever it is onto a disk but it's been stuck on backed up for mins

A:Can anyone help me? My computer is basically nonfunctional

I suggest having a live distro like ubuntu to backup all your stuff first, once everything is backed up, perform the Clean Install Windows 7 tutorial

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/167580-can-anyone-help-me-my-computer-basically-nonfunctional.html
Relevancy 43.43%

What is the problem actually? I thought this is virus but when i scan with my AV nothing wrong...

A:pc black suddenly got to hard reset

Hi Gradeabra,

Based on no other information on your computer and your problem, I would say that reset is very likely due to overheat. May be a maintenance cleaning up would help.

Good luck and post back.

Bruce

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/283253-pc-black-suddenly-got-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 43.43%

i have an On-Q router, model# P/N 364772-01.

I'm trying to re-establish the home network, but I cant get anything to connect to the router. IP config shows no gateway, and I cant ping the router. I dont think I've ever had to do a hard reset on this router, but nothing blinks or flashes to indicate a reset took. This is a wired network, nothing is wi-fi.

Is there anything I can do??? Or is the router a brick now?

Edit: Im googling like mad, but it doesnt help when i have such an obscure router model. Would i be able to access anything if i connected my computer to the WAN port?

Relevancy 43.43%

Greetings on hard reset Accidental router- Help! we recently got a new desktop and Accidental hard reset on router- Help! my nephew configured the wireless DLink router for the desktop and two laptops It was all working fine with our home network connecting with all the computers Then my laptop stopped being connected to the home network I tried rebooting didn t help I read online that I should reset the router- so I pushed on the reset button and reset it Then I learned that was the worst thing I could Accidental hard reset on router- Help! have done-my home network disappeared I think it deleted all the configurations on the router My question now is- can I get it all back Accidental hard reset on router- Help! I am very computer illiterate I do have the CD that came with the router- can I just reinstall it with the CD I see that the home network is still on the computer but it will not show up on the internet access The only way I can connect to the internet is using the DLink internet access but I understand that is not safe So- is there any way to recover all the configurations my nephew put in or must I start from scratch Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Accidental hard reset on router- Help!

ask your nephew if he saved the settings for you, or try searching your computer for a file named something like this

network settings.conf

not sure if DLink save as .conf files but worth a try

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidental-hard-reset-on-router-help.1086000/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a pocket pc that I have had for about 7 years now worked great up until about a month ago glitches out everytime I turn it on and use I have taken the battery out and let it set for a few days I have pressed the small pencil tip reset button nothing works I am hoping someone knows how to do like a hard reset I realize I could lose all my stored info thats ok I just need to put in new information with the programs it came with basically I need to set it back to factory default thanks for your help!!

A:Hp iPAQ pocket pc hard reset

To hard-reset your Pocket PC, hold down the power button and press the reset button at the same time. You will loose any data, backup before attempting.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hp-ipaq-pocket-pc-hard-reset-588516.html
Relevancy 43.43%

My mother has Computer sometimes hard boot reset without won't an HP that runs Windows Vista Premium Home Its about - yrs old Two weeks ago the power went off for a few minutes when it was on Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset or in sleep mode When she tried to turn it back on she could see the quot cd light quot blink once or twice the fans came on but no power I found the directions to unplug all the cords and hold the power button down to reset it Well it worked I then ran Malwarebytes and it did find one or two things but they were removed Today she called me to tell me the same thing happened But the power never went out She had it on and it must have gone into a sleep mode and Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset nothing worked to bring it out She had to reset it again Does anyone know what would be causing this to happen I m wondering if its something I could easily fix myself or if we need to bring it to someone to be repaired

A:Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset

Hello kat91119,Some people have been able to awaken the monitor when the computer is in "sleep" mode by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL (not holding them) and then clicking cancel. You could try going through this troubleshooting guide: How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows 7 Sleep Mode Problem.You will note that they recommend updating the display drivers and the system bios, first. I wouldn't worry about the bios at this point but would check the computer manufacturer's web site to see if they have an "updated" display driver. How to determine the dispaly adapter name and version then go to manufacturer's website:First, click "Start" (the globe) and right mouse click on "Computer" and click "Properties."Select "Device Manager" then click on the (+) next to "Display Adapters." Write down the make and model number.Next, right mouse click on the Display Adapter and click "Properties," "Driver" tab, and write down driver date and driver version.Now you can go the computer manufacturer's web site (i.e. Dell, HP, Acer, etc.), look for "Download Drivers and Software" (may have to click on Support, first). Enter either "Tag number" or exact "make and model number." Select the computer operating system (Vista 32 or Vista 64).Look for your exact display adapter, note date and driver version. If newer, download and install.Finally, proceed with the troubleshooting guide.I hope it helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/433786/computer-wont-boot-sometimes-without-hard-reset/
Relevancy 43.43%

New HP envy x360 Model No. 15-x107ne has a problem of black screen.  As I understand this problem can be solve by hard  reset. So can anybody tell me the button combinatin to be pressed to get the screen back

A:hard reset for black screen

Hard reset instructions: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768 Not guaranteed to work for you but worth a shot.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hard-reset-for-black-screen/td-p/5577888
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello My Windows randomly keeps freezing up on Random to hard have freezing / reset. me I have read multiple threads on this forum but none of the solutions helped me I've tried switching HDD's reinstalling Windows Tested my ram with Memtest for hours no issues Tested HDD's no bad sectors found I've Random freezing / have to hard reset. used HWinfo to check the voltages and Random freezing / have to hard reset. temperatures they seem to be fine even under full Prime torture tests spiking around to degrees Celsius under full burn My setup ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Intel Core i - k not overclocked GB DDR RAM - x GB CMX GX M A C ASUS DRW- F ST drive TB SAMSUNG HD SJ TB SEAGATE ST DM - ER MSI NVIDIA Geforce GTX Creative Soundblaster Z PSU OCZ MXSP Watercooling Corsair H i LCD Fan-controller BitFenix CoolerMaster HAFX case I must say the options the motherboard has listed in the BIOS are overwhelming Tons of options and features which are all set to quot auto quot No idea if this contributes to the freezing It's not something that was present before Random freezing / have to hard reset. It started happening about weeks ago Nothing has changed in my setup I even started thinking about the humidity in the air causing system instability so I turned on a DE-humidifier to no avail Thanks in advance for helping me

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/54703-random-freezing-have-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 43.43%

How do you reset it? I bought it one day at FRYS and I put a password and now I forgot that password. Is there anyway to reset it?
Please share.
I know I'm an idiot and fail at like for forgetting it. ;_;
It's a MAXTOR by the way

A:external hard drive reset plz

Hi pride and Welcome to Vista Forums.
Did you right click the Hard drive and then format it?

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/229790-external-hard-drive-reset-plz.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I have been experiencing problems with my PC locking up and needing to hold down the power button to shut it off It seems to be more of an issue during the summer months leading me to believe it is a heat issue I downloaded Core Temp to see if I could get a temperature reading when it locks up I started the program left it running on the desktop and let the computer sit idle When it locked up the last reported temperature for Core was C and Core was C which did not seem very extreme Is there anything else I can do to try and see if a specific component is failing due to heat I have tried using compressed air to clean out my case made sure all case fans are working and reapplied Arctic Silver Silver thermal compound on the CPU PC Details Antec Performance Plus AMG Asus P Q SE Intel Core Duo E Wolfdale GB Kingston HyperX DDR RAM MB GeForce GTX Sound Blaster Audigy ZS Windows XP Pro SP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-locking-up-need-to-do-a-hard-reset-701746.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Somebody can tell how can i make a hard reset to my lenovo flex 2 15" i dont have the one key restore key i need help my laptops always is loading

A:Lenovo flex 2 hard reset!!

You might not have to totally reset your computer. Try these options first 1) Check to see if you have any memory cards, usb flash drives, or disks connected to the computer. ANYTHING. No wireless mouses. No USB headsets. No CDs in the optical drive. NOTHING that is not the power cable should be pluged into or in your pc. 2) Boot up in Safe ModeHold down F8 on your keyboard before you turn the computer on and hold it. You should be able to use the advanced recovery options. More info on this here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17419/windows-7-advanced-startup-options-safe-mode. Uninstall all of your recent programs or ones that should not be there (i.e, you dont remeber downloading it, or its not nessesary for you). 3) Recovery PartitionHolding F11 on start up supposedly gives the option of a recovery partition, yet I've never used it before, or know if it'll fix everything. Might be worth a shot. 4) An actual reset.To answer your origional question, here's all the possible ways at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Hope this helps!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Lenovo-flex-2-hard-reset/td-p/3442142
Relevancy 43.43%

After working fine (well mostly) for the last couple of years, my network has been crashing for the last week or so. While connected to the internet, minding their own business, suddenly all 3 of my computers will lose internet access. I've tried everything, including following the instructions received on the D-Link help line (model DI-624), and I can get the system back up for a while, but inevitably it will crash again almost immediately. The only thing that has worked so far is doing a a hard reset (is that what it's called?) where you stick a paper clip into the reset hole and hold for 20 or so seconds.

Question 1: Does this mean my router must be replaced?

Question 2: Could the problem possibly be an adapter card in one of the clients? Would that cause the whole shebang to crash?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I am so frustrated!

A:D-Link Router Needs Hard Reset

'Could the problem possibly be an adapter card in one of the clients?'

Possibly.

The obvious test is to run only 1, and if it happens, keep alternating one out and another in. If all 3 get the router failure 1 at a time, then the router is toast. If single comp causes the fail, then the comp NIC is bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/d-link-router-needs-hard-reset.109730/
Relevancy 43.43%

Stuck on blue restarting screen after update. Tried to perform a hard reset by holding down the power button, was unsussecful.  Also tried power button + mute...that too didnt not work. It doesnt seem to be reponding to anything. Its been "restarting" for 3 hours.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hp-Hard-reset-wont-work/td-p/5706370
Relevancy 43.43%

I've tried the hard reset 3 tines, I've replaced the battery with a new one, and still my laptop will not turn on. The white led light starts out white while plugged in, then turns amber, then turns white after a few minutes and starts blinking. If I attempt to power on the laptop while it's plugged in, the led light turns off and does not turn back on until I take the battery out, put it back in and plug the ac adapter in again. Nothing turns on, no fans and no keyboard lights. The only sign of power is the led light. Help please!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Even-after-a-hard-reset-my-hp-laptop-won-t-turn-on/td-p/5655805
Relevancy 43.43%

This has been occurring for months now hard crashing, PC reset. requiring It is EXTREMELY PC crashing, requiring hard reset. annoying especially if I am in the middle of something very important The mouse cursor will lock everything will freeze and this will usually be followed by any sound repeating buzzing freezing From here it is a complete freeze The only way to get out of this is to restart my computer Now another surprising thing is that usually I need to push my reset button in PC crashing, requiring hard reset. all the way for my PC to reset I suppose this is so you don't bump the button When the crash occurs I only have to slightly touch the reset button for my PC to completely shut down Strange Upon first glance I suspected this to be my power supply however now I am not sure it could really be any other component I am fairly confident that this is hardware related but not sure what is causing these crashes Nothing seems to quot trigger quot the crashes It can happen whilst watching videos playing games browsing the web or simply idling Any help would be appreciated thanks

A:PC crashing, requiring hard reset.

Please provide full specs of your PC including PSU make/model/wattage so we know what we're looking at. Could quite possibly be a PSU problem, but we need all your other hardware info too (CPU, Motherboard, RAM etc).

Is the PC pre-built or custom built?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/pc-crashing-requiring-hard-reset-614768.html
Relevancy 43.43%

My USB port is disabled in BIOS. How do I hard reset the BIOS with no keyboard access? Thanks in advance.

A:Hard reset BIOS on Stick 300

I have this problem too. I've sent a message to Lenovo to see if they have a procedure. I know that for other devices it is possible to reset using just a power button menu. catzi67: did you manage to solve the issue?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Beacon-Stick-300-D-J-and/Hard-reset-BIOS-on-Stick-300/td-p/2267136
Relevancy 43.43%

hi everyone.

after a hard reset,i cannot boot windows.trademark appears,bar is moving an then,blue screen and PUFF! computer restarts!

i tried every choise such as safe mode etc but no result.i tried to fix it from Windows Recover Console but my laptop has sata hdd which are not recognisable in console..

i'm running out of ideas.....

A:blue screen after hard reset

I had this exact same problem with our family computer... however we used windows system recovery... if you still have the windows xp CD that would be the best option to reinstall... Does it go on a cycle? Startup, restart, startup, restart?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/blue-screen-after-hard-reset-171325.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I have had a problem, for the last two months or so, that consists of my laptop freezing and requiring a hard shutdown to fix it. I have a Dell XPS15, 6gb ram, i5-2450M dual core, and a 1gb NVIDIA GeForce GT 525m graphics card with the newest drivers.

Basically, I will play any game, from the original Mass Effect to WoW to Kerbal Space Program, and my computer will freeze, and occasionally make static noise until I hold down the power button for a hard shutdown. I've done stress tests and monitored the heat, and I don't ever seem to reach the heat threshold. Additionally, I've dusted out the fans and such. One or two times I have been able to alt-tab to fix the problem, and it pops up with an error stating that the display driver has failed.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 43.43%

I have an Acer XC- C desktop that is one month old I upgraded it to Win and two nights ago it went to a blue screen It shows the error for a MacAfee error and I have done the reset. hard after XC-704C won't Any... allow Acer fix following trying to get it back to Win so I can get rid of MacAfee nbsp I've done the reset that allows me to keep files Acer XC-704C won't allow fix after hard reset. Any... nbsp I've done the reset that wipes everything Following this it comes up with one account defaultuser nbsp and asking for a password I've tried every password connected to Acer and Windows and none work So I can't get to the command prompt and I can't get to the advanced repairs to complete anything nbsp After times of running the second reset it finally said it was loading Then I get the Hi and we're setting up things for you and then it goes right back to the blue screen nbsp This desktop came with no manual no repair disc and I have tried everything I know to get it to boot back up into Windows nbsp I've also tried Safe Boot Safe Boot with Networking and everything else I can get into without having that defaultuser pop up and ask me for a password nbsp nbsp Anyone have any ideas how I can get around that and get it back up and running short of sending it back to Acer I'm not afraid to go into the BIOS but I don't know what is safe to change in there and what is not nbsp

A:Acer XC-704C won't allow fix after hard reset. Any...

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/... i would try a clean windows 10 install (wiping completly any partition on the HDD/SSD), most of Acer software and drivers can be downloaded from their support website:http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6067;-;Aspire%20XC-704G

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/Acer-XC-704C-won-t-allow-fix-after-hard-reset-Any-ideas-Shows/td-p/422110/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 43.43%

My laptop won't start.  I have read through this blog, and did a hard reset (twice) and it still won't start.  I've had this issue in the past and have been able to solve it with a hard reset, but not this time.   What else can I do? The battery still had some "juice" in it as recently as last week, as I was able to use it without power for a few hours with no problems.   Thanks.  

A:Laptop still won't turn on after hard reset

Hi there @PaulaEmde,Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that your notebook is not powering up. I am happy to help with this. When it is plugged in do you see a charging LED lit?When you try to power it on, is there any sound of the unit starting, like the fans spinning or the sound of the hard drive spinning up?Do you have another power adapter available that you can try?Have you tried a different electrical outlet?Do you have a direct power connection, or are you using a power bar, or UPS? For now give these a try, and let me know the results and the answers to my questions. Hopefully one of these will resolve the issue, but if not, the answers may help to localize the cause.Using and Testing the AC Power AdapterHP Notebook PCs - Computer does not start (Windows 8)Improving Battery Performance (Windows 8, 7, Vista)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-still-won-t-turn-on-after-hard-reset/td-p/4982739
Relevancy 43.43%

My computer used to have the "blue screen." Then my computer completely crashed (when I hit the power button, the light on the desktop blinks a little and shuts off)...It does not turn on the screen either...

I think it might be the hard drive. Is there a way to reset the hard drive without having to turn on? (Is there a button you can push to reset it somewhere? etc.)

Even if it is not the hard drive I would still like to completely reset it...

Thanks for any advice

A:Reset Hard Drive Manually

No. There isn't a reset for the HDD.

If the PC won't even power up properly, there is likely a hardware failure or at a minimum, something inside the PC is not properly connected/installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reset-hard-drive-manually.1014065/
Relevancy 43.43%

Initially I was facing a problem wherein the keys A,S,D,F and some other keys were not working. The mousepad was also not working fine. I searched the net and got a page that suggested hard reset. Hence, I did the followingStep 01. Turned OFF the NotebookStep 02. Un-plugged the Power/AC Adapter and also removed the BatteryStep 03. Pressed and Held the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minuteStep 04. Re-inserted the battery back in  As soon as I re-inserted the battery, the following happenedPower button with LED indicator - is continuously onBattery charging LED indicator - is continuously onPower/standby LED indicator - is continuously onScreen is blank. Nothing is displayed on screen If I remove the battery the lights shut down. As soon as I put the battery the lights are on. Pressing the power button continuouslt doesn't help. Can someone please help in resolving the issue and starting my laptop.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Laptop-does-not-start-after-hard-reset/td-p/5679394
Relevancy 43.43%

The issue started a few weeks ago when it seemed my HDD failed sent it to a shop to be tested and repaired Went through HDDs before the rd actually worked that's the HDD i'm currently using ST DM - CH SCSI Disk Drive It hard reset only locks from and a up responds Pc worked fine up until a few days ago when random screen freezes started to occur mainly when playing online games such as World of Warcraft Each day the game would freeze to the point that the entire system locked up and only a hard reset would work it went from a couple of freezes a day to - a day Pc locks up and only responds from a hard reset The HDD itself showed no signs of failing Pc locks up and only responds from a hard reset or struggling and all drivers are up to date I then ran Memtest on both Rams then each while in the primary slot a combined total of tests all of which passed Then booted up the PC with Ram at a time and it worked fine my next step was to run HDDScan but for some reason it would not allow me to hit the S M A R T button even though it recognised my HDD I must also say that at times the boot up has been extremely slow to the point I thought it froze it seems hit and miss whether it reaches the desktop screen With both RAM in it struggles to fully boot up too Linked the DXDiag file which gives a run down of everything EDIT Finally on the pc with only Ram installed running HDDScan right now and will post a screenshot of the outcome shortly It's just strange that it's able to boot up with each RAM but when both are installed it struggles thing to add is that I contacted World of Warcraft Tech Support as the crashes happened more frequent when playing the game they stated that my network drives were out of date from and my BIOS drivers from yet when I tried to update both I got a quot not compatible quot pop up that was from the manufacturers website Hope this helps

A:Pc locks up and only responds from a hard reset

This is the outcome of my HDDScan, I really can't tell whether there's issues or not. Some help appreciated. I'm really starting to think my PSU may be at fault, Atrix 650t 12v but I'm finding very little on reviews or complaints about the product.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/313881-pc-locks-up-only-responds-hard-reset.html