Windows Support Forum

Access denied to a folder merged with Partition Magic

Q: Access denied to a folder merged with Partition Magic

Im having this problem with one particular drive specifically after i merged two partitions together My original configuration for the machine was my WD Gig that had Windows XP Professional on it and a WD Gig that had Windows Server Eval Edition I had A LOT of crap on both drives and decided i was going to reformat both drives and start clean I got through backing up most of it but then decided that i was just going to make a gig partition on my gig drive that had Server on it So I made the partition dumped all the data that i wanted to keep onto it and Partition a Access with merged denied Magic to folder decided to reformat both drives that had OS s on them When it came to installing the OS s i decided to take a different approcach I put the OS s on there own partitions on just the Gig drive and decided i was going to use the Access denied to a folder merged with Partition Magic gig exclusively for data I loaded back up partition magic onto the XP drive because you cant run it from server Decided that i was going to merge the partitions back it asked me what folder i wanted to put all the data that was on the drive into on the newly merged partition it went all the way through no problems Went to sleep and let it run woke up this morning the drives were merged i had all of my drive back in one but the folder that i moved all the data to is giving me quot Access Denied quot errors i right click on the folder and it tells me Bytes as if nothing is in the folder but if i click onto the properties of the drive it tells me that the drive still has gigs used up so i know the data is there somewhere i just cant get to it I did a thorough scandisk and went to work and it ran still having the same problems I didnt want to really try anything else in fear of losing the rest of the data and not being able to get it back ANY suggestions would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Access denied to a folder merged with Partition Magic

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Access denied to a folder merged with Partition Magic

"Access denied" would suggest that you are not using and administrator account or you have denied yourself (administrator) access to the folder.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-denied-to-a-folder-merged-with-partition-magic.5750/
Relevancy 84.01%

Hi guys Just to get it out of the way I have already searched the forum can't Folder merged with Magic, problem open Partition files/folder. for help and the web and I already found a thread in here explaining what to do write techspot com in front of vb all windows t- -Access-denied-to-a-folder-merged-with-Partition-Magic html i can t post links because i m new here But I can t find the freakin security settings in Partition Magic I ve been looking through them all quot general view disk tools and so on quot but anything saying security I cannot find Is it me or my partition magic that retarded -S I have to admit it s a craked version but it didn t complain about anything when I typed the serial just - quot thanks for using partition magic and Folder problem with Partition Magic, can't open merged files/folder. so on quot When I try to access the merged folder this is what Folder problem with Partition Magic, can't open merged files/folder. comes up F g is not accessible Access denied The same thing a unformattede harddrive would say So is it still a security thing Or is it my partion magic that needs changing Please forgive my newbi-ways p s i m using XP home edition from dell if that helps nbsp

A:Folder problem with Partition Magic, can't open merged files/folder.

Hi
Although your issue may be easily resolved

TechSpot cannot help with cracked software - as the cracked software may be faulty itself.
Let alone the legal issues

Thread to be CLOSED

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/folder-problem-with-partition-magic-cant-open-merged-files-folder.98051/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi I merged two partitions on my laptop while using Partition Magic 8 and when the merge was completed (I think error free) my drive that I merged was gone and turned into unallocated space. The merge folder (i called it drive) was empty and the drive i tried to merge with stayed at the same size. I lost all of my documents and most importanty my 20+ gbs of music. When i start partition magic it says that there is some drive geomery error and i should back up my data and reformat my pc, but i need those documents and would like my music back. I can't undelete any partitions, and they were both NTFS partitions created using the XP setup. i used it before with no problems, but what happended to my data and can I get it back ?? also has anyone had this problem ever??

Thanks

A:Merged Partitions With Partition Magic and Drive Dissapeared, Please help

have you tried the undo to see if it reverts it back

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/merged-partitions-with-partition-magic-and-drive-dissapeared-please-help.366073/
Relevancy 69.23%

So I just installed Windows to my SSD.

I then loaded up windows and then plugged in my other HDD which still had a partition for windows on. I deleted that partition.

Then of course I couldn't access the other 2 partitions on that drive. My G (storage and H games)

I've managed to access my Storage drive. Well I can open the root of the drive, every folder I click on though it says "you don't current have permission to access this folder, Click continue to permently get access" How do I fix this?

But more importantly how do I get permission/owner ship for the H partition? I tried the giveownership program, but when I right click I dont't see any option so.

ty

A:HDD Partition Access is Denied

In the advanced properties of the partition:

Security tab / Advanced Button / owner tab

Click Edit: Add Administrator or Your account.

Then in the permissions tab (once you have access) add the "Everyone" group with full control.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/134391-hdd-partition-access-denied.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I have to HDDs, one with windows XP installed on it [17GB], and another one with 7 [500GB], I installed each one without the other HDD plugged into my computer, so when i want to use XP i boot from the 17 HD, and when I want to boot from 7 I boot from the 500 HD, which is my 1st boot device.
So, on windows XP all the partitions are working fine, on 7 there's one partition that doesn't open and tells me that access is denied, I searched a bit around and knew that I need to give my account the authority to fully control the partition and the ownership, I did so but nothing happened, activated the Administrator account from cmd, and it's working fine on it, but can't make it work on any other account, what should I do other than reinstalling the windows?

PS: this partition is not the system partition, it's just my movies partition[size 143 GB, free 3GB]

A:Partition Access Denied

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/166750-partition-access-denied.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi everyone I Access Denied Partition Second hope the post is in the appropriate section of the Second Partition Access Denied forum You are about to hear the stupidest thing ever done I recently formatted my laptop and installed -Bits version of my Windows Home Premium copy as I am planning to install more RAMs Before I had -Bits version and I had partitioned the HDD into two so that I install Win into C Second Partition Access Denied and I keep my personal files such as pictures movies work files etc in D Whenever I installed -Bits I had file permission problems in partition D obviously However I solved that problem and I was able to use my old files except a couple of music folders When I was trying to get permissions for those too I removed the permissions to the partition D itself Now my partition is not accessible Diskeeper is able to see the partition D and it is obvious Second Partition Access Denied that files are still there I would really appreciate if some one could help to gain permissions to partition D so that I can access the partition and use my files All of my important files are in partition D Thank you very much for your quick reply

A:Second Partition Access Denied

Diskeeper an cause some weird issues, so I wouldn't use it, but that's not really related to this issue at hand. I don't see a need to install a third party defragger anymore, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, it sounds like what you would want to do is take ownership of the drive. I can only replicate this issue if I switched usernames and/or passwords (which is one reaosn why I use the same combo on my home systems all the time.) I don't have a copy of Home Premium installed at the moment, so there's a chance you may not have the options to take ownership. If that's the case, I'd use a Linux CD or a BartPE CD to copy off the data to an external drive, delete the D partition, and then recreate it and move your data back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/79397-second-partition-access-denied.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I'd like to put a .cmd file in my c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup directory, but \Documents and Settings has a lock on it and tells me "Access denied" when I click on it. Is this a job for "Take Ownership" or is there another way? The instructions for "Take Ownership" say not to use it on the C drive, but it's not clear if that applies to the whole drive, or individual files/folders on it. Thanks.

A:"Access denied:" How to overcome denied access to a folder

That is the incorrect path. No need to mess with permissions, I'd advise leaving them alone.

The path you are looking for is C:\Users\<your user account>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/166832-access-denied-how-overcome-denied-access-folder.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Tried to upgrade from w7 7070 to 7100 and could not, no problem..but when restarting, my other drives are no more accessibles, have "access denied". How can I get back ownership, or access to them.
Thanks for help!

A:partition access denied after bad upgrade

You could use the Take Ownership Shortcut
Did you adjust the cversion.ini in order to upgrade, or did you just try to upgrade?.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/8220-partition-access-denied-after-bad-upgrade.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I'm hoping somebody out there can help me -- or more accurately help me help my mom With the death of XP both I and my mom went out and got ourselves brand new HP desktops running Win Pro -bit They came with the OS installed and ready-to-go other than a bunch of Windows updates but we both wanted our hard drives partitioned -- one drive for system stuff and programs and another for our data files I did this on my computer first which has partition while denied Access creating about twice the disk space RAM etc as my mom's has --although her computer is still very good too following the instructions that I found here How to Partition Your Hard Drive in Windows Steps - wikiHow Everything went smoothly no problems whatsoever easy as anything -- and so I thought I'd walk my mom through the process over the phone too after having her thoroughly and Access denied while creating partition completely defrag her hard drive Well everything seemed to be going smoothly I suggested that she split her gig hard drive into gigs for her system program files and the keep the rest for her data and she managed to get the appropriate numbers put in the correct spot as per step at the above link and then she pressed the quot shrink quot button and then something went horribly wrong An error message popped up from quot virtual disk manager quot saying that quot access is denied quot Strangely now when she looks at the info shown in the Disk Management utility up Access denied while creating partition at the top where the drives are listed there black text on a white background it shows that her C drive is indeed now gigs in size However down below that -- in the gray half where the quot squares quot are showing the drives her C drive still shows up as being it's original size of gigs and there's no unallocated partition showing up at all Please note that I'm simplifying the numbers here and not taking into account two partitions D and E that HP creates for recovery utilities I've searched all around the 'net and can't seem to find any solution to this problem let alone any discussion board where anyone else has encountered something like this -- perhaps this has come up here before but I can't seem to find it Can anyone help I don't know what to do Now it would appear that her C drive has indeed shrunk to gigs but we can't seem to quot see quot the unallocated space that should be there for us to create a D drive from Any suggestions would be most helpful and I'm extremely grateful for my mom's sake if anyone can help Thanks so much in advance

A:Access denied while creating partition

PS. Sorry for that all coming out in one big paragraph! I did have my query all nicely formatted into separate, easily-readable paragraphs, but somehow that all got lost as soon as I posted it it. I have no idea why. Sorry about that. :/

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/330008-access-denied-while-creating-partition.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I installed windows on the first boot I could access my D drive which is the drive that contains all media files resumes etc etc etc Windows itself is on the C drive I rebooted and I open up 'computer' and now the D drive just says 'D Spare NTFS' if I try to open or browse it says 'Access Denied' in a pop up window If I try to change the drive letter in disc management 'Virtual Disk Manager The parameter is incorrect' If I right click the drive and access security it says I don't have permission to view security and that I should try to take ownership If I try to take ownership 'access denied' Windows literally stole all of my stuff I suspect it's still in there but I cannot access it The windows vista I installed on that drive as a work around incase I needed to grab drives and couldn't get online loads from that inaccessable drive but cannot browse it So i know it's intact and has Access to install. denied partition after the files on it Is there a way to brute force my way into it it's my stuff and I want it I've been looking for Access to partition denied after install. how to fix this for around hours now and have only found half tutorials and convoluted nonsense how do i get access to my drive without formatting please help me I'm on the verge of turning into one of those people who just goes around spamming fbombs everywhere I'm at my limit of sanity and patience with this there was no reason for windows to lock it away from me in the first place

A:Access to partition denied after install.

I would boot the computer into Windows XP and fix it. Use XP to take full control over the entire drive.

If you have a Windows XP install disc, make this:

UBCD for Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/23734-access-partition-denied-after-install.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi I have GB Segate SATA hard drive I divided it to two partitions One NTFS partition for windows professional OS Another NTFS partition W is for data storage I have got another hard disk drive western digital TB for backup The username that I normally log in to my system is ramadion and it is is Access is not denied partition accessible. hdd on member of partition on hdd is not accessible. Access is denied the Administrators group please pay attention to the letter s Today means before there was no problem when I tried to access W it says W is not accessible accessed is denied When I read the quote below quot E is not accessible Access is denied quot issue Quote This means ur current account is not an admin Enable the default admin account in logoff and login as the new admin You will be able to access the drive Then make ur user account as the owner for tht drive You will be then able to access the drive when you login as ur account I checked the properties of the partition W then Security tab I have seen only no other users Administrators viewsonic Administrators viewsonic is name of my desktop When I added the username ramadion everything back to normal My question shouldn t group name Administrators be sufficient to access partition W rather than adding the username ramadion Since the username ramadion is part of the Administrators group Thanks

A:partition on hdd is not accessible. Access is denied

Hello zillah, welcome to Seven Forums!

Using "Administrator" in any fashion for a user account in Windows 7 is a very bad idea as that is a name reserved for Windows' use and will cause untold errors/issues along the way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/127570-partition-hdd-not-accessible-access-denied.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I partitioned my HD and loaded XP on both primary partitions The original is on an NTFS partition the new one is FAT if this matters I loaded XP on both because I am trying out different versions of Office I used PartitionMagic and Boot Magic to do this After partitioning I used Boot Magic to boot from the new partition it worked and I installed XP Then I used Boot Magic again to boot up the original OS but now I can t go back to the new partition Boot Magic will no Help XP Magic, - Boot on (Partition partitions both between Magic) switching with longer run on the original OS because it detects a duplicate copy on the new partition Weird it wont let me install Boot Magic on both partitions I ve used Partition Magic to quot activate quot the new partition adn Help with switching between partitions - XP on both (Partition Magic, Boot Magic) hide the original one but it still boots the original one So then I used PQBoot which is supposed to immediately boot up the selected partitioned drive but again only the original boots up How do I access my new partition again nbsp

A:Help with switching between partitions - XP on both (Partition Magic, Boot Magic)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have deleted your other thread, as two threads for the same problem are not required.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-switching-between-partitions-xp-on-both-partition-magic-boot-magic.47238/
Relevancy 67.08%

I had moved 'My Pictures' folder away from C Users username My Pictures when I first set the computer up and I had it in another partitioned drive E For space reason I wanted to move it back to it's original location above and moved the whole folder across to the 'My in do error and folder User merged How unmerge Pictures' folder I C but instead of having How do I unmerge User folder and 'My Pictures' folder merged in error it as a folder in the username folder as it should be I merged it in error with the username folder The folder is now named My Pictures and has the path C Users My Pictures in the registry I have hopefully attached the properties of the folder which shows that there is no How do I unmerge User folder and 'My Pictures' folder merged in error location tab The network path is shown as HOME Users username How do I clean up the folder back to it's standard user folder detail without the merged detail of My Pictures and I guess the easier part is to create a new My Pictures folder and point the registry to it as per the detail in the top line Please help a newbie Cheers Dan

A:How do I unmerge User folder and 'My Pictures' folder merged in error

Have you tried a System Restore back to a date prior to doing what you did? That MAY fix it.

System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/250271-how-do-i-unmerge-user-folder-my-pictures-folder-merged-error.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I wanted to upgrade my win xp with new version of win xp. So I started upgrading. However it stoped in the middle of the process.
Then...
I installed new copy of windows over previous in order to keep my document & settings.
Nice...
So there was my previous account I used before cool
But.....
When I wanted to access it it said "Access Denied".
I wanted to open it with Administrator privilages and it is still saying access denied.
PLS help I am desperate ((((

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi.

There are a few folders on Vista that can't be accessed.

One for example is the one shown in the screenshot:

Can someone of you guys please tell me what needs to be done in order to access these folders?

Thanks in advance,

A:Folder Access Denied

If you need app data folder, try the one under your user name. I don't know but that may be a protected system file. Go into folder options and uncheck "hide protected system files". maybe that will do it. While you're in there check the "show hidden files" and access app data under your own user name. Good luck.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/215855-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Trying to delete a folder I get "Folder Access Denied" -- need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder. I am the only account on this PC an am Administrator. I click continue and get the same message with "Try Again".

Suggestions welcome. Thanks

Hello Dickey, and welcome to Eight Forums.

What the name of the folder and it's full path that you are trying to delete?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/13644-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have both XP and Windows 7 running as dual boot. My documents is on a separate partition (D:\) and I have placed a shortcut to this folder in the 'Libraries' of
Windows 7. I can access the 'My Docs'. folder ok but I cannot open the sub folder 'My Pictures', due to an "access is denied" message. I have checked the 'permissions' on the security tab and I have two entries both with full control, (one as administrator and one with my computer name) but nothing I do will persuade the system to give me access to this very important folder. I have to re-boot into XP and copy any files to a memory stick so that I can then access them in Windows 7. This is the only sub folder that will not open. Can anyone help?.

Have you tried to take ownership of the folder?

Take Ownership Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/78713-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I'm in a fix now. I reinstall an XP OS by not formating but deleting the existing windows and replacing with the new XP into the same windows folder. Didn't remember to disable password so the backups I kept in a folder directly in the root drive will say access denied. Somebody help

Hi, welcome to TSG.

Take ownership of the folder: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-access-denied.950375/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi im a WinXP Pro user, how do i make a folder private or access denied from other users? Here's the thing, i only want the folder accessible if and only if i log in under my specified username. So that means that logging in using other usernames will deny access to the folder. Is it really possible without installing any third party softwares? Please tell me the steps.

A:Access Denied Folder!

do you have administration rights on your user name?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-folder-85074.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi Everyone I am using Windows XP Media center edition I think its similar to windows xp pro with added media features Anyways I have user account which is my account and its an administrator account What I wanted is if anyone else log in my pc then he she should not get persmission to view certain folders that I wanted So I Access Win Xp Denied Folder created another account with the name quot User quot and set it to limited account Then I logged into my admin account and disabled simple file sharing Then I right clicked on a folder and did properties And in security I selected the user account named quot User quot and selected deny for most options like modify read amp execute read etc Now when I logged in thru account quot User quot then I am unable to access that folder Thats okay and its what I intended But the problem is when I Win Xp Folder Access Denied login thru my own account which is admin a c I also get the same error If I double click on that folder it says access denied I am unable to set its security properties Now how do I fix this problem and achieve what I originally planned to do I am myself now unable to access that folder thru my own admin a c If I enable simple file sharing and goto folder properties I do not see security tab If anyone can help me I would Win Xp Folder Access Denied be glad Thanks Jack nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

I allowed my old room mate to use my computer for web browsing and the like and she's moved out. I found out she installed iTunes on my computer even after removing it using Revo uninstaller, byeiTunes, and using CCleaner to wipe the registry files I still can not delete the iTunes folder in my "my music" folder. I am on the admin account and it says that I do not have permission to access the files. I can not even move other files in or out of the music folder. Please someone help me so I can get what I'm calling the "iTunes Virus" off of my computer.

A:Access to Folder Denied

Several things to do.
1) Sometimes you have to boot to safe mode to delete certain files & directories.
2) Take full ownership of the folder, and give yourself permission to delete it.
3) Delete the contents first.
4) Use this: UNLOCKER 1.9.1 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/access-to-folder-denied-672257.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello everyone...first time back for a long time...so hello again.
I have a problem that is far beyond me and Im scared of going too far into this and messing things up.
I am trying to delete folders using Mutilate file wiper but I am getting the following message when I try to access documents and setting folder and many other folders are the same....the message reads :
permission to use object denied. check the file or folders security settings to see if you have access
I have tried google for answers and have tried setting the folder security settings to allow access but nothing changes. I have an administrator account and have tried various things with no results.
I just want access to every folder like I have on my PC running XP.
Anyway I am completely lost and desperately need some help.
Any advice will be very much appreciated
Thank you
Daniel

A:folder access denied ? please help

The "documents and setting" folders on a Windows 7 machine, are system folders and are NOT to be messed with by the user.

Even a Admin can NOT remove them, they are there for the "System" to use when a program written to use "documents and setting " and will be redirected to the Users folders.

You may want to have access to every folder but you will NOT, unless you turn off the built in protection. Then you are on your own and will really mess things up by doing what you are trying to do.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-access-denied-please-help.1045947/
Relevancy 67.08%

I was playing with user accounts on my new pc. I have 2 administrator accounts and a guest account. I wanted to set up a folder with my personal pictures so that only I have an access to it. I unchecked the "use simple sharing" option in folder options and then clicked on the folder in question, and in properties selected the other administrator account name and denied the access to the folder. I switched the accounts to that other administrator and shure enough, he could not access the folder. I logged back in as myself, allowed the other administrator access again BUT... it turns out I don't have the access to the folder either! In the security folder I have all the permissions turned on for all the administrators, and for my name on the network (I set up a home network) but access is denied. What's wrong? How do I fix it?

Relevancy 67.08%

I have a folder in my 'C:\Documents & Settings\Geoffrey\' folder, (which is my home directory and I am the Administrator), which I can't access and neither can the software who's configuration files this folder contains.

The folder is named 'ZDE' and belongs to Zend Studio 5.2.0 which is a PHP IDE that I use for web development. The ZDE folder is where Zend Studio store it's config files

When I try to access it from either Explorer or the Comand Prompt I get an 'Access Denied' message.
This folder is not supposed to be locked according to the manufacturer of the software that uses it.

I tried creating another Administrator account logged in under that and got the same Access Denied message just trying to look at 'C:\Documents & Settings\Geoffrey\' let alone getting to the offending folder.

Any suggestions on how I can unlock this directory?

A:Folder - Access Denied

It's possible that you may need to "take ownership" to access it.

This explains how:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-access-denied.509920/
Relevancy 67.08%

So my Gateway somehow did this on its own: http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medialess/MLXPMC0/MLXPMC0su14.shtml

I have a folder for my user under Documents and Settings in the "C:\My backup" that gives me "Access Denied".

What can I do to access it?

Win XP Home.

A:Access is denied on folder

You can try taking ownership of the folder. The instructions are here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-is-denied-on-folder.814476/
Relevancy 67.08%

I recently reinstalled winxp home. It retained all my files and everthing seems fine but I cant get into a folder with all my pics in it. Any help will be appreciated

Relevancy 67.08%

Please help me I realy need to help..
I have a folder that is very important for me .. I think that something is wrong with it when I wanna open my folder, it dose not open and there is a message that says:
file is not accessible access is denied..
what should I do?
I know that it is my father fault cause he does not wanna that I open that folder...
I didi every thing that I thought might help but I could not fix my file...

A:Folder access is denied

Google for "Take Ownership" and follow the instructions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/folder-access-is-denied.195065/
Relevancy 67.08%

hey i have this little prob. i reformatted my hard drive and it seems to have saved the documents folder from the previous time i used it. i wanna delete it now but it says that access is denied. any ideas on how to get rid of it? also i switched it from fat32 to ntfs. i did that when i reformatted but it seems to have taken a huge amount of my hard drive. i have a 20gb. hard drive and after the reformat i only had 9 or 10gb available. is that normal or what? any and all help would be great appreciated!!

thanks

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi!

As a security precaution, I created a limited account for using the internet, and blocked the sharing of a folder full of important personal files in the administrator account. Since then, I have re-installed Windows without thinking to remove the sharing block first, and find now that I can't get access to the folder - not even with the new administrator account. Can someone please explain how I can gain access to this folder again? All I get at the moment is "Access is Denied". The folder is on a separate partition from Windows.

Relevancy 67.08%

i recently had to reinstall windows XP because it wouldn t boot up no matter what i tried i made the mistake of overwriting the old windows so now my docs is kinda messed up my problem is that on my old desktop folder denied to access i had a folder called quot Temp quot which i used to access denied to folder stop my desktop getting cluttered up so theres quite a lot of good stuff in there but when ever i try to open it it says the directory is not accessible access denied i tried using command prompt to access it or rename it or simply move it and it tells me access denied there is no encryption or password on it and i know it exists as does its contents because i used some software to take a look at it software simply makes a pie chart of how the space on your drive is used i just set it to that particular folder does any know of how i can get into this non accessible folder nbsp

A:access denied to folder

Are you using NTFS?
Try this: Go to Folder Options>view and remove the check from simple file sharing

Right-click the folder and choose "sharing and secruity"

Click "security" and then "advanced"

Click Owner tab and make yourself the owner. Check "replace owner etc." box

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-to-folder.115243/
Relevancy 67.08%

I'm having trouble getting my Documents & Settings folder to copy into my external drive for backup purposes. The external drive already has this folder in place and the proper files and folders within D/S as I have been routinely backing it up for the last few years. However, now when I try to Copy Folder To the external drive, I get the error message that access to the J drive (external drive) is denied. As you can see from the pic below, the D/S folder on my hard drive is apparently locked. I don't recall locking it and how do I unlock it so that I can copy to to the external drive?

A:How to access denied folder?

There is no Documents & Settings folder in Windows 7. Any folder that out rights denies you access is not a real folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/265578-how-access-denied-folder.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello For some reason my machine booted up this morning on its own for some unknown reason while I was in bed I thought nothing more of it started up a game but there was Access Denied Folder no sound then rushed out and left it running This afternoon when I returned and closed the game the first thing I noticed was that the task bar was half hidden below the bottom of the screen I usually have it at twice the standard size to give a full row of quick start icons I managed to get it back to the correct size by removing the quicklaunch toolbar - which hid the taskbar completly - and then re-enabled the Folder Access Denied quicklaunch buttons which enabled me to expand the taskbar Further to this windows pauses while it starts up for seconds which it never has done all network connections have dissappeared and Folder Access Denied none of the programs that usually start with windows start - including norton Norton crashes on running from the start menu and Internet Explorer opens for a fraction of a secon and then it closes I cannot copy and paste files to my external HDD so that they can be backed up and a fresh installation of windows made Has anyone any experience of this problem or does anyone know what is going on Thanks As an edit I have thought of a few more things Folders eg My documents do not show as normal in the taskbar The CPU usage is around the mark continually The machine will not perform tasks such as defragmentation

If you can boot to normal Windows try Windows System Restore to reset your system state to a previously working condition.

Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Choose a date from before the problem began and follow the directions on screen.

This will not affect your data but will reverse any updates if any you may have done so you might need to do the updates again.

Let us know.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/72154/folder-access-denied/
Relevancy 67.08%

ok, xp messed up and i had to reinstall... well, i installed over the previous instance, because i hadn't backed up my files. when all was said and done, i went to the old user account file and it says access denied... i had it set previously so that other users couldn't access my files. but now, i can't log onto that particular account, because it's from the previous install... but i know the password for the account. so is there anyway i can get these files unlocked, or get that account reinstated? i tried the administrator reclaiming of all files thing, and set my self as the data recovery person, but still access is denied... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 67.08%

I have confirmed that I have admin privileges. The HDD in question is a small 80gb HDD with a 75 gb primary partition. When trying to delete the partition with diskmanagement or diskpart, it just says Access Denied. Currently I can not provide a screenshot, not for the next couples of hours. This disk is not a primary drive, its never used. The partition is formatted in NTFS, and it has a small OEM partition of a few hundred MBs. I want to clear the disk of any data so I can use it for a linux install. This is also my first post, I intend to make my home here when asking the community windows related questions/problems. If this was not formatted well please let me know.

A:Trying to delete a primary partition in diskmanagement - Access Denied

Hello Torrey, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If the HDD doesn't have anything on it that you want to keep, then you could see if running the clean command on the drive from within an "elevated" command prompt to completely wipe it will allow you to format it afterwards to use as you like.Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/292845-trying-delete-primary-partition-diskmanagement-access-denied.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hey all got my past Windows Win7 partition after Access Load a single on denied problem fixed now I m running into a new problem One of my IDE drives is partitioned into two I am able to fully access one partition but the other partition isn t allowing me access I have tried to set security options in the properties but to no avail It Access denied on a single partition after Win7 Load doesn t even show me the drive information as far as how full it is When Access denied on a single partition after Win7 Load I load up the Disk Management it shows this drive as a quot Logical Drive quot Here is how my actual hard drives are set up IDE Master gb Currently has Windows XP installed IDE Slave gb - Partitioned into two GB partitions Was used to install store programs and data when I used Windows XP Has not been reformatted SATA TB Currently has Windows installed My drives are set up like this in My Computer C SATA D IDE Master Unpartitioned E IDE Slave Partition F IDE Slave Partition This one cannot be accessed Anyone have any idea as to how to get F accessed It has all of my games and their saved games on there Would hate to take a chance on losing all of this data Thank you Alamaxia

A:Access denied on a single partition after Win7 Load

Hmmm...it's easier to visualize how things are set up on your computer if you do this:Type the following into the Start Menu, and hit Enter:diskmgmt.mscMaximize this Disk Management window, then take a screenshot using this tutorial. Upload it to the internet (any file/image hosting site will do, I use Imageshack). Then post it here in your topic.This makes it easier to see what's going on in the partitions and drives on your system.After that, we'll delve into what's keeping you from accessing that partition.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/285731/access-denied-on-a-single-partition-after-win7-load/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I noticed this problem when I tried to delete something off the drive then I tried to run an antivirus scan and it gave me an error if incapacity to delete viruses due to a dirty disk and that I should run chkdsk So I right clock on the drive and attempt check now denied) (access failure primary partition chkdsk It tells me that it must first dismount the drive before it can do so and asks if I would like to force a dismount To which I respond yes Then the chkdsk failure primary partition (access denied) window disappears and I hear no word or chkdsk failure primary partition (access denied) see no signs of any chkdsk happening Naturally I reboot the terminal expecting fire-works and chemistry but get greeted by the sound of windows starting up again I have tried the administrator driven command prompt in this sequence C Windows System gt chkdsk x f response The type of file system is exFAT Volume Serial Number is C E- C C Windows System gt then C Windows System gt chkdsk x r response The type of the file system is exFAT Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process Chkdsk May run if this volume is dismounted first ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID Would you like to force a dismount on this volume lt Y N gt response Volume dismounted ALL opened handles to this volume are now invalid Volume Serial Number is C E- C C Windows System gt then C Windows System gt chkdsk x r response The type of file system is exFAT Volume Serial Number is C E- C C Windows System gt then C Windows System gt chkdsk x x response The type of file system is exFAT Volume Serial Number is C E- C C Windows System gt So C Windows System gt x X gt X gt chkdsk response The type of file system is exFAT This volume is in use by another process Chkdsk might report errors when no corruption is present Volume Serial Number is C E- C X gt So X gt chkdsk x x response The type of file system is exFAT Cannot lock current drive Volume dismounted ALL opened handles to this volume are now invalid Volume Serial Number is C E- C X gt So X gt chkdsk response The type of file system is exFAT This volume is in use by another process Chkdsk might report errors when no corruption is present Volume Serial Number is C E- C X gt ECT It does the same thing in safemode commad prompt and in safe mode PLease HELP

A:chkdsk failure primary partition (access denied)

Try this before panicking. Open Computer, right click on C: drive then click Properties at the bottom. Click the Tools Tab. At the top click the Check Now Button in Error Checking. Before starting the error check make sure both options are unchecked. This way you won't get the Disk Is In Use crap. If it completes telling you the disk is fine and ready for use, then you have some other problem. Like maybe a registry hack that's not letting you delete files.

In that case Run MBAM.

If error check does not complete with no errors, post back with the Disk Management Screen. ( See this post for instructions how to post the screen shot ) Removing triple boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/261339-chkdsk-failure-primary-partition-access-denied.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I noticed this problem when I tried to delete something off the drive then I tried to run an antivirus scan and it gave me denied) primary failure chkdsk partition (access an error if incapacity to delete viruses due to a dirty disk and that I should run chkdsk So I right clock on the drive and attempt check now It tells me that it must first dismount the drive before it can do so and asks if I would like to force a dismount To which I respond yes Then the window disappears and I hear no word or see no signs of any chkdsk happening Naturally I reboot the terminal expecting fire-works and chemistry but get greeted by the sound of windows starting up again I have chkdsk failure primary partition (access denied) tried the administrator driven command prompt in this sequence C Windows System gt chkdsk x f response The type of file system is exFAT Volume Serial Number is C E- C C Windows System gt then C Windows System gt chkdsk x r response The type of the file system is exFAT Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process Chkdsk May run if this volume is dismounted first ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID Would you like to force a dismount on this volume lt Y N gt response Volume dismounted ALL opened handles to this volume are now invalid Volume Serial Number is C E- C C Windows System gt then C Windows System gt chkdsk x r response The type of file system is exFAT Volume Serial Number is C E- C C Windows System gt then C Windows System gt chkdsk x x response The type of file system is exFAT Volume Serial Number is C E- C C Windows System gt So C Windows System gt x X gt X gt chkdsk response The type of file system is exFAT This volume is in use by another process Chkdsk might report errors when no corruption is present Volume Serial Number is C E- C X gt So X gt chkdsk x x response The type of file system is exFAT Cannot lock current drive Volume dismounted ALL opened handles to this volume are now invalid Volume Serial Number is C E- C X gt So X gt chkdsk response The type of file system is exFAT This volume is in use by another process Chkdsk might report errors when no corruption is present Volume Serial Number is C E- C X gt ECT It does the same thing in safemode commad prompt and in safe mode PLease HELP

A:chkdsk failure primary partition (access denied)

Hello, not sure if you're still having issues with this but I'm currently following steps to fix the same issue. Here's what has worked for me so far:

Click the start icon>type disk management>right click the drive you are having issues with>change driver letters and paths

Next, click remove and accept. (Make sure you remember the drive letter) This will force dismount the drive.

RESTART: this is critical for me so far. If you don't reset, it doesn't seem to work.

after reboot, open disk management and do the same thing to the drive, except this time you should click "add" instead of "remove" then choose the same drive letter it was before.

Open CMD as ADMINISTRATOR, then type the drive letter (example D

this sets CMD to that drive.

Type chkdsk /r

it should prompt you to to say Y/N (it might say the volume cannot lock, just give it a minute or two)about dismounting the drive again. select Y.

This is the step I am currently on. It should say "volume is verifying files and folders..."

let this sit for a while. The time depends on the storage amount in use.

I will post and let you know if this finishes up for me. I will probably end up letting it run overnight as the drive is 3TB.

Cheers!

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/261341-chkdsk-failure-primary-partition-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello all, I am having problems trying to accesse my partition. I have had to install a new operating system on a new partition as the old one had trouble starting up. I am currently running TestDisk to see if anything happens. The problem started when I was reverting back to Windows7 from Windows8 by using the partition manager in Windows8 to mark the Windows7 partition as active in order to boot it. One rebooted the 'Starting Windows' would do its business then suddendly a blank screen would follow with me only able to move the mouse.

Please see my screenshots to see what is up. I really do not want to have to resort to having to format this partition as it has uni work on it.

Note: I have changed the Windows7 old system to Windows789

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-partition-access-denied.1022721/
Relevancy 66.65%

I am running WIn pro RAID access denied folder bit on a P Z -V PRO motherboard I have a Mediasonic PRORAID Bay Enclosure - USB amp eSATA HFR -SU S It is currently set to RAID I had been having trouble with the drive RAID folder access denied being empty when I clicked on it in My PC Now the drive boots up fine each time I start up the PC The iTunes library is functional as is my email profile which is stored on it However my business folder with course materials book layouts art etc is telling me English Tree Main Instruction You don't currently have permission to access this folder Content Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder Continue Cancel I click continue but I can RAID folder access denied never get in I have tried restarting the PC but no change When I right click on the folder for properties it is also telling me that it has bytes files folders scary When I click the security tab it says YOU MUST HAVE READ PERMISSIONS TO VIEW THE PROPERTIES OF THIS OBJECT please advise I need this for my classes this week weep Sam

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/56222-raid-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Bravo to RealBlackStuff He solved my problem that I Folder denied accessible is access is not ve been struggling with for days I stumbled on this forum just yesterday and I m hooked I want to thank you for your Folder is not accessible access is denied post below because I ve been struggling on how to access the quot owner quot folder in my defective old hard drive with the following error message quot Folder is not accessible access is denied folder is not accessible - access is denied quot Thanks for the remedy you gave below There may be a case of encryption on the old W K disks that you have not yet installed on XP-home Also you will be a different user on XP from W K even if you used the same name You can take ownership of these files as follows Boot XP-home into Safe Mode Press F a few times when starting up as an administrator Now use Explorer to go to the folders etc on your W K-drives right-click them select Properties click the Security tab and click OK if a security message pops Folder is not accessible access is denied up Click Advanced then Owner tab In the Name list select your administrator s name Mark the Replace Owner on subcontainers and objects check box Click OK Yes and OK For taking ownership of files rightclick them Security tab Advanced Owner tab In Name list select Administrator or Admin-group and click OK Click Add and in the quot Enter the object list quot type a user or group account or Administrator Click OK In the group or user name list click the account you want e g Administrator then tick the check boxes for permissions e g Full Control Allow Hope this gets you on your way nbsp

A:Folder is not accessible access is denied

Hi Lexirad,

Thanks for that its always nice to get some positive feedback about the experience people have with the TS forum,

I found that people were having that kind of issue a while back so I made this page up.

How to change the rights in XP or 2K.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/folder-is-not-accessible-access-is-denied.74849/
Relevancy 66.65%

A friend's PC died on them and I'm trying to recover their pictures from the hard drive. I have a USB hard drive adapter connected to my computer and I can browse the hard drive. However, when I try to open the Owner folder, which is where everything is, I get an error saying that access is denied. Is there a way around this so I can copy the pictures?

Thanks.

Relevancy 66.65%

I know that this only comes up when something is trying to write to the folder (in this case "etc")

I'm guessing that something is trying to modify my Hosts file.

Windows 7 64bit
Vipre antivirus
MBAM
Lavasoft ad-aware
Spybot S&D

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/351292/destination-folder-access-denied/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi,

I have the XP prob of having access denied after restoring some folders on my External HDD (NTFS)

I went through the usual solution of setting the owner to me and it worked fine, however I take this HDD to and from work and when I got home I had to set the owner to my home PC.

How do I set it so I don't have to change it every time?

Thanks.

A:Folder access denied - external hdd

I make all external drives fat32, not ntfs, alot easier for me, and I dont have
to worry about being locked out from my own data.IMHO

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/folder-access-denied-external-hdd-119295.html
Relevancy 66.65%

hi All,

Have a problem moving files from my laptop to my desktop. They are on a Homegroup, both running Win 7. When I try copying files from my laptop to my desktop, and I initiate this on the laptop, I get an error saying "Destination folder access denied. You need permission to perform this action." But if I initiate the same file copy from my desktop, then it works fine. Any suggestions? thanks

A:Destination folder access denied

Quote: Originally Posted by Envy17

hi All,

Have a problem moving files from my laptop to my desktop. They are on a Homegroup, both running Win 7. When I try copying files from my laptop to my desktop, and I initiate this on the laptop, I get an error saying "Destination folder access denied. You need permission to perform this action." But if I initiate the same file copy from my desktop, then it works fine. Any suggestions? thanks

If you can copy files from the homegroup network, but not move them, then the source computer is sharing it's file over the homegroup with read-only access.

Check the homegroup settings on the computer you're trying to move files from...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/126535-destination-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi All - I have a Win Sp computer that acts as a file server - I ve created a folder that is shared and given about a dozen other computers full access to this folder shared denied access folder Recently I tried to add a couple of WinXp computers to this network and give them full access not only to the shared folder on the W K computer but also full access shared folder denied access to all the sub-folders that users have created in the shared folder and all the files within those sub-folders But I get quot Access Denied quot when I try to access those sub-folders and files - I ve tried setting full permissions for each new computer to each sub-folder but sometimes that doesn t work But sometimes new computers can access a file IF it is modified by a previous user None of this is what I expect I also cannot get access to some sub-folders on the Win K computer even when logged into the Win K computer as Administrator I would appreciate your assistance - Honline nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-folder-denied-access.522151/
Relevancy 66.65%

Help: I'm trying to copy the recovery partition to a second hard drive on my system and copy runs for a while and towards the end I get destination folder access denied and have to skip to continue or cancel. I just got vista home premium x64 a few weeks ago and I've never had a problem like this on XP Pro. Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/196917-destination-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I am having issues accessing files on a network folder on SBS 2003. I have changed permissions and ownership of the folder but issue still persists. Three people have access to this folder/files however only one of them is able to access the files while the other 2 have "access denied" message when they try opening up files.

Any suggestions on how i could go about and solve this issue for the other 2 users?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-on-network-folder.872247/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello!

I have a small issue concerning deleting folder. Here's situation:

I had a folder that I wanted to delete. I used shift+del combo for instant deletion, but than issue occured. Basicly, folder stayed, yet files deleted themselves. And when I try to delete the folder, it says I need administrator privilegies, which after clicking yes it says I don't have, eventhough I'm the only user on computer and my account is set up under administrator.
I can't even open folder, since I get error message as followed:

E:\Directory (name of directory I want to delete) is not accessible.

Access is denied.

I checked forums around, some people are saying just to make another identical folder and Windows will interpret them as 2 diff folders, but it didn't work for me.

Any suggestions?:P

A:Can't delete folder - access denied

Hello there. You should try to delete it with Unlocker. But first follow this tutorial to Take Ownership to that folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/163103-cant-delete-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Maybe someone can help with this too. When trying to copy a folder from a memory stick to my external HD it says Destination folder access denied. You need permission to perform this action. No doubt its something similar to my last post, but I can't seem to get around it. Any info would be great. TIA BTW I have 2 memory sticks and only one came up with this.

Hello Nick,

Are you able to save the file to the desktop first, then save it to the external drive location?

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/208872-destination-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a secondary hard drive that holds a lot of my files, media, backup docs, etc but no program installations. Under a previous installation of WinXP Pro, I installed visual studio express which for some reason put temporary files/folders on my secondary drive. I recently reformatted my primary drive and reinstalled WinXP Pro but didnt delete these files from the secondary drive first. Now it says 'Access Denied' when I try to delete them. I have tried as much as booting in safe mode, killing explorer.exe and trying rmdir from the command line, but nothing works. What else could I try?

A:deleting a folder that says 'access denied'

Try a program called "Unlocker" and see if that deletes the file.

However, please, PLEASE be sure that those files aren't being used by Windows, otherwise... well, let's just say bad things'll happen

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/194129/deleting-a-folder-that-says-access-denied/
Relevancy 66.65%

I am working on a project I have to replace denied am administrator Access a folder; I to that project with a backup that I have and I discovered that I am unable to remove the folder I cannot remove it because I for some reason do not have appropriate permissions to access a subfolder When I double-click that sub-folder a pop-up box appears saying quot C directory is not accessible Access is denied quot First of all I am administrator on the computer running Windows Enterprise nbsp When I right-click the folder and going to Security gt Advanced the pop-up says quot You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object Click Continue to attempt the operation with administrative permissions quot When I click quot Continue quot the new pop-up basically says the same exact thing quot You do not have permissions to view or edit this object's permission settings quot In the first pop-up under Owner nbsp it says quot Unable to display current owner quot and when I try to click quot Change quot to change the owner to myself the same window as when I clicked quot Continue quot appears nbsp This is very frustrating

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ca9435db-a734-40cf-b0a4-7d9a8c998022/access-denied-to-a-folder-i-am-administrator?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 66.65%

I cannot move, rename, write to, or do anything besides open files from any of the shared folders. I have tried using both admin accounts (my wife's and mine) to change permissions with CACLS, but after "thinks" about it for a couple seconds, it says "Access is denied". Any help would be appreciated!

A:Access Denied On Shared Folder

don't know calcs
right click folder --> sharing and security to check attributes and permissions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/141717/access-denied-on-shared-folder/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello. Like many others, I am getting the "Destination Folder Access Denied" warning when I try to download/save anything. I'm also getting the "Windows needs administrator permission" warning. I am the administrator. I am the only user on this computer and mine is the only user account, and it is set up as the admin. Does anybody have any help/suggestions?

thanks!

Hi, nora535, and welcome to the forums.

*where* are you trying to save the files to?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/163926-destination-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Yes the horrific permissions error I have two accounts on my win laptop both are admins I'm Destination access folder denied trying to move a couple of JPG's from one folder owned by admin to another owned by admin It copies the folder but it can't copy the JPG's inside Says I need quot permission to write to this location quot I mean I literally just MADE that Destination folder access denied folder myself and I checked the properties I have all rights I'm admin AND I own the destination folder and everything in it The weird thing is I tried to move about folders this way error happens regardless of where you move it I tried Documents Pictures and six of them were moved with no problems JPG's included Just these four give me issues for no clear reason EDIT just tried moving a file from admin 's quot Pictures quot folder to the destination folder this worked with no problems I think the problem is moving a file belonging to one admin to a folder belonging to the other I logging in to admin 's account and tried to move it that way but nope got error X A No error description available

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753659.aspx
ALSO: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753024.aspx

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/destination-folder-access-denied-1081049.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello I m not sure if this is the access Moved denied folder, now is right section for this question but here it goes I moved my folders that I keep my class notes in from My documents - gt school - gt notes to my documents - gt school -- gt old notes About seconds later without Moved folder, now access is denied restarting logging off changing users etc I tried to open one of the folders and it said access denied I cannot delete them undo the move or open them So I restarted into safe mode logged on as administrator the security tab did not show in normal mode and I read somewhere to do Moved folder, now access is denied it in safe mode right clicked on the folder click the security tab etc and changed ownership to my user Now I can open the folder however I cannot open any of the hundreds of files that are in the folders Most recently I downloaded some zip files for class to my desktop and then tried to move them to my notes folder When I tried to extract them it said access denied When I redownloaded them to the desktop because I can t move them from the notes folder I could unzip them and open the files from the desktop To make a long story short any time I move a file to another location on my computer I can t open the file I would appreciate any help nbsp

A:Moved folder, now access is denied

Guide: Bypass ACCESS DENIED error when accessing data from different XP/2000 install.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8914.html

Look further down guide page for:
To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moved-folder-now-access-is-denied.97087/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a folder on my desktop that I created about a month ago. Nothing is really in it, just some video files. Im trying to delete the sub folders within it, and it gives me the message that 'The Folder Not Accessible' It says that I have to have Admin permission to delete the contents. Im the only user on my lap top though. What I have tried so far.

I have manually attempted to take ownership of the files through cmd prmpt, it tells me Access Denied.

I downloaded the Take Ownership program and tried it that way, no luck

Any ideas on what I can do, any why its locking me out?

I have skimmed through the forums and seen a few other "solved" threads with the same problem, however the solution is not working for me.

A:Folder not accessible. Access Denied

Hello Redithrum, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Is your user account an administrator type, and not a standard user account?

If you are an administrator, then you might see if using the free program Unlocker may be able to delete it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/278998-folder-not-accessible-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi, I just recently moved a folder out of a larger folder. The larger folder was part of the video library. Now when I got to the video library the folder I moved out of it is still there but now it won't let me open it or delete it. I believe it is empty because the new version is where it is supposed to be with no problems but I'd like to get the bad folder out of my video library. The error tells me that the folder is not available and Access denied. Any ideas?

A:Getting access denied error on folder

Quote: Originally Posted by RonnieDobbs82

Hi, I just recently moved a folder out of a larger folder. The larger folder was part of the video library. Now when I got to the video library the folder I moved out of it is still there but now it won't let me open it or delete it. I believe it is empty because the new version is where it is supposed to be with no problems but I'd like to get the bad folder out of my video library. The error tells me that the folder is not available and Access denied. Any ideas?

Ronnie

This is a permissions issue but are you sure that you want to move library folders? It can cause all sorts of problems. Is there a specific reason for the move?
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/107148-getting-access-denied-error-folder.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi, I'm having a problem making a new folder inside my c:\program files\accessories folder as the OS tells me access is denied. I am the Administrator and am logged on as such. I can make a new folder if in Safe Mode, Whats the Problem here?, as an Administrator I should be able to do this and I can with any other folder I've tried on other than c:\program files\accessories?. I've tried looking at the properties for this folder and I admit I'm some what confused by it but I haven't change anything there

Relevancy 66.65%

I'm trying to delete some files from Steam. However, I'm frustratingly greeted with this damn message "Destination folder access denied. You need permission to perform this action."

Permission from who? I'm the only account/admin on my computer. This is not the only time I have received some kind of error message reporting to me I need permission/higher access--it's also happened when I tried to "Immune" my computer from known viruses using Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Can anyone help me please? Thanks!

A:Destination Folder Access Denied

Originally Posted by Chrisdizick

I'm trying to delete some files from Steam. However, I'm frustratingly greeted with this damn message "Destination folder access denied. You need permission to perform this action."

Permission from who? I'm the only account/admin on my computer. This is not the only time I have received some kind of error message reporting to me I need permission/higher access--it's also happened when I tried to "Immune" my computer from known viruses using Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Can anyone help me please? Thanks!

To this there was reply in another category. You can find that reply at the following link:
Destination Folder Access Denied

Hope this may be of some use to any other users!

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/182898-destination-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I edit my external HD sometimes to change names of my files & I get this message.
Destination Folder Access Denied, then I have to click Continue, then in user accounts control it says windows needs your permission to continue & I have to click Continue again. XP didn?t give me this run around, what?s the deal with Vista? I?ve searched but can?t find a fix for this.
I?m the Admin & can?t understand why Vista is treating me like a child & making me double check what I tell it to do. Isn?t my computer a PC or is it now owned by Vista!! That?s frustration coming out but I have other small issues about user unfriendly Vista where XP was user friendly.

This is the new feature of Vista. Its controled by the User Account Control system and tries to act as another security layer. There have been many complaints about it being too in your face and Windows 7 version will be calmed down somewhat.

You could follow the Administrator Account and User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level tutorials.

Make sure you transfer your Documents and pictures etc from your current account before switching to the administator account and then transfer your files to their new home.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/196978-destination-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

This there any way to have this weird access denied glitch on Windows 7 fixed ?

I never had this issue with Vista 64, I have my windows 7 always updated to the latest.. heck this even happens on a system that has just been formatted. I have no special access restrictions placed on my system.

Need help on this one!

A:Folder / File access denied

Hello EarlZ,

What folder/file is this for?

You may need to take ownership (Option Two at link) of it, then "Allow" your user account "Full Control" of it first.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/69575-folder-file-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

The other day I created a temporary folder to save a file in. I'm through with the file and deleted it, but the folder will NOT delete. It says "Access is denied". I even tried rebooting. When I use various utilities to try to delete it, they show NO properties for the folder. No creation date. No nothing. Say what??? What a strange animal this Windows 7 is. Anyway, I guess I could just ignore it forever, but there's a place in me that's telling me it just not right that Windows 7 should prevent me from deleting a folder that I just created.

Relevancy 66.65%

Hello , after uninstalling avast few days ago i was prompted to restart the system. Since then when i booted up a random folder named [e1136dde5b111b6e950b(windows defender files)] came up in program files. I cannot delete it since it's needless , nor' rename it , take ownership or anything.
Please help me.
I've provided few screenshots showing it.

A:Cannot delete a folder , access denied.

Download:PendMoves and MoveFile
Unzip to desktopOpen Admin command promptType: movefile.exe e1136dde5b111b6e950b "" <==== Copy and paste to command prompt including quotesreboot your PC

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/50609-cannot-delete-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

i used partition magic to merge 2 partitions and a folder has been created. i cannot delete the folder but i can access it. i have read this thread and followed the instruction but still can't make it. might be something wrong at somewhere.

the error that i got is

Cannot delete System Volume Information: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is nor currently in use.

FYI, i am logging as an administrator since i am the only user of this computer. the folder name is 'merge'.

Properties of this folder:

Administrator : full control
Everyone : read

at the Advance Secutiry Setting for merge
Administrator has full control while Everyone only has several Read options that has been ticked.

A:Cannot delete folder : Access is denied

[solved]

ok, i've done it. just follow instruction from miscrosoft website.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-delete-folder-access-is-denied.39626/
Relevancy 66.65%

I had created a sub-folder in another folder in May of nbsp I had stored pictures there nbsp I no longer needed the folder and was able to delete the pictures nbsp But when I try to delete the folder I get notified that I require Administrator permission nbsp folder: Cannot delete denied Access I am the Administrator and also tried Cannot delete folder: Access denied deleting while logged in as Administrator with the same results nbsp When I bring up the Properties of the folder and navigate to the Advanced Security settings the Current Owner box says quot Unable to display current owner quot nbsp In the Change Owner to box I select myself an Administrator but also tried while logged in as Administrator nbsp When I click on Apply I get the msg box quot Unable to set new owner on folder name quot quot Access denied I've tried using the command line to delete the folder and still get the Access Denied msg My limited knowledge leads me to believe something is amiss in the Access Control List nbsp How can I go about correcting this situation and get back to a 'Normal' state whereby I have absolute control again Thanks Vic

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/92780a31-7620-4620-9c6f-0fef0b94bec6/cannot-delete-folder-access-denied?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 66.65%

Here is a challenge I have just re installed my pc to a dual boot system which has separate hdds window xp on one drive windows ultimate on one drive and the other is a slave for backups On the win install I ended up with a folder called quot program files quot and a folder called quot program files x quot Since everything was being installed into the quot x quot folder i decided to move the other is denied Cannot Delete access [folder], one to see if it was needed When I discovered it was needed and certain programs wouldn t work I put it back However for some reason I didn t just put it back i copied and pasted it back so now i have quot program files quot folders I now want to delete the duplicate but no matter what I do it won t go access is denied I have renamed it and moved it so it is now jus sitting on my win desktop staring Cannot Delete [folder], access is denied at me Methods I have tried are rest all permissions attributes boot into xp and delete from there boot from a live xp disc can t move folder onto another drive run as administrator then get message saying quot permission from trusted installer needed quot tried the rd s q command in win xp and at boot up safe mode And have tried various programs killbox etc didn t have much hope for those to be honest any suggestions will be greatly received many thanks in anticipation nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

Member gil777t suggested I post here as it might be a bug problem I am facing. I download a file from any site, when it is almost down I get 'destination folder access denied' and inside the box 'you need permission to perform this action'.I checked permissions and my name under admin had full, under users it didn't so i changed it to full with the same result.I have never had to change permission as I am the only one on this computer.I am running vista home premium sp2.I have run malwarebytes and spybot with nothing picked up
wasn't sure if I should post a hijackthis logfile until it was requested

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/destination-folder-access-denied.909227/
Relevancy 66.65%

XP Pro on my first computer built from scratch Hi I have this Cannot access is denied. Delete [folder], troubling folder on my Hard Drive that just won t go away This folder originally came to be when I tried using some partition program to merge partitions I think it was partition magic not sure and had everything from one drive moved into the folder in question only to discover Cannot Delete [folder], access is denied. that afterwards I had no acceess to the folder at all nor could I delete it I ended up re-installing windows as I had set some important stuff to that drive which gone had made the computer pretty messed up Anyway I didn t format a second time and so that folder remained And now upon a fresh installation of Windows the flippin folder is still there and nothing will get rid of it I ve tried various programs but in the end they usually end up being made for specific files and not folders Unlocker was made for folders as well but didn t do squat There should be no important files in this folder keeping me from deleting it since I reinstalled Windows from scratch So what gives Note I can t open it I can t move it I can t delete it and when I look at it s properties it just says bytes files etc Edit Forgot to mention I did try deleting it in Safe Mode No dice nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

I Keep Getting You Have been denied permission to access this folder when i try to open my User area from my backup of vista i Denied Solved: Access Folder To ve just clean installed Windows It instructs me to go to the security tab Solved: Denied Access To Folder I only have the administrator username and it s already checked as full controll Other places have told me to do this - Click Start - Type cmd - Right-click cmd when it appears - Click Run As Administrator - Change location to the folder you need access to e g cd e folder - Type takeown F R A D Y gt NUL - Type icacls grant USEROI CI F L T Q Where USER is your username - you will only have access from your XP and Vista machine in this case Or replace USER with Users if you want anyone on any computer your hard drive is plugged into to have full access to these files But it s not done anything despite working for others Anyone Think of any other solutions I ve attatched screenshot of what I tried in case i went wrong Other thread is pretty dead which is why im reposting over here Thanks so much for any help all my important files are inside there nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

Hi Everyone This is a small part of a huge ordeal that I have gone through today with the error quot Destination Folder Access Denied quot that I want to try to explain as it may lead to help with larger issues I have a few folders in my quot Music quot folder two of which are quot Amazon MP quot and quot Civ quot When I try to rename either of them or move them to the desktop I have no particular need to now but I could in the future I receive Access Denied Folder Destination an error quot Destination Folder Access Denied quot with the subheading quot You need permission to perform this action quot and the equally useless options quot Try Again quot and quot Cancel quot I have figured out how to get this to stop but only temporarily Inside Amazon MP is a folder called quot Vladimir Horowitz quot the composer of this piece of music Inside that is quot Destination Folder Access Denied Horowitz Plays Chopin Volume quot Inside that is the MP file of the actual music So I have found that if I cannot rename Amazon MP or move it this works I go into Amazon MP Destination Folder Access Denied then into Vladimir Horowitz which contains Horowitz Plays Chopin Volume and rename Horowitz Plays Chopin Volume to quot quot I then right-click in that folder to select quot undo rename quot so it returns to its original name I then go up into the Amazon MP folder and rename Vladimir Horowitz to quot quot and then undo the rename Then I go into Music select Amazon MP and I can rename it and move it now So right now Amazon MP can be moved and renamed but still not quot Civ quot which I haven't tried yet Now I do a similar process to Civ which contains folders with music files in each I go into Civ rename all the folders at once to quot quot which results in the names etc and then undo rename as before I go back into Music and Civ can be renamed and moved After doing this Amazon MP goes back to the way it was before cannot be renamed and cannot be moved If I try my process out on Amazon MP again Civ goes back to being incapable of being moved or renamed per the quot Destination Folder Access Denied quot error What is going on here I have Windows Vista Home Premium x I have all the recent updates I am a moderate-high skilled computer user UAC is off though having it on changes nothing I have tried editing permissions a dozen times as most of my web searches suggest and that does nothing so please don't recommend that unless you have a novel thought other than this Take Ownership of file I have tried using safe mode which allows me to rename the files without going through this process but when I reboot and leave safe mode it goes back to before Sometimes I have copied these files into my external hard-drive and then copied them back but I have been doing this for a while without trouble Amazon MP was a file made by an Amazon program when I bought music from them Civ is a folder I made that I put music in that I copied from the program files of the game Civ The music plays fine in iTunes My computer has been off for the last month while I was away When I came back and started trying to edit some files this problem arose I have not had it before Any help at this puzzle would be greatly appreciated Blindman

Welcome
It does sound like a permissions issue, but you have specifically asked not to go there , so I will not.
What I would do, since it works in safe mode is suggest a clean boot.
If it works in clean boot, you can follow the instructions to find the cause.
Safe Mode works with basically just drivers, so its not a drivers issue. Clean boot works without any start up programs, anti virus etc. Lets hope it is some software that is the cause of the problem
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
To be on the safe side you may also want to run a full anti virus scan and download and run an updated, full scan of malwarebytes.
If none of these ideas work, try a system restore from before the problem started.
System Restore - How to

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286836-destination-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Well I did an uninstall reinstall today of Ultima Online backed up my Desktop containing profiles macros for my characters directory to my desktop of course and after the install slapped it back into the Ultima Online D directory and I got Access Denied all over the place when trying to browse the desktop directory that i pasted into the Ultima Online D directory and it s really annoying Access folder/directory? Denied cause i have to go open each folder manually Select All then Right click Set access to everyone for EACH FOLDER and every file within each folder between - different Access Denied folder/directory? quot accounts quot and different quot servers quot and characters on each account that s a lot of selecting right clicking and setting to everyone access sooo lol On another forum a regedit trick was posted to access the CACLS exe file from the right click context menu to set the files directories to quot Everyone quot and I wanted to know if it is possible to use a wildcard in the following regedit Something that I could just right click the Ultima Online D directory and set access to everyone and it would set everyone access throughout all directories and files throughout Code Windows Registry Editor Version HKEY CLASSES ROOT Folder shell Reset Permissions to Everyone quot Reset Permissions to Everyone quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT Folder shell Reset Permissions to Everyone command quot cacls exe quot L quot G Everyone F quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT Shell Reset Security HKEY CLASSES ROOT Shell Reset Security command quot cacls exe quot L quot G Everyone F quot Is this possible X nbsp

A:Access Denied folder/directory?

Ok. i solved my own problem and yes, the wildcard works/ed

I used cacls.exe *.* /G EVERYONE:F and it worked. seems to be working fine. I just had to CD \Program Files\Ultima Online 2D\ from the C:\ prompt

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-folder-directory.263310/
Relevancy 66.65%

My daughter's Compaq CQ-50 laptop (running Windows Vista, 32-bit I presume) "died" the other day, so in attempt to recover the data files from the hard drive, I purchased an external drive enclosure.

When I connect the hard drive to my desktop PC running Windows XP Pro, and try to view or copy the contents of many (but not all) of the folders from Explorer, I get "[folder name] is not accessible. Access is denied."

I've read several postings about changing the permissions from the Security tab under Properties, but that tab is not visible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am pretty much clueless what to do!

A:Folder/File Access is Denied!

I believe the reason for the problem is because, in Vista, My Picture, My Music and My Video are not real folders. They are pointers (forget the actual name) to the Pictures, Music and Videos in the Kim directory for software that uses the My.....

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/296054-folder-file-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I shared a folder on my LAN network University hostel after that i quot unshared folder... to Solved: Denied access quot it shared it by right clicking security and sharing share this folder on network did not allow users Solved: Denied access to folder... to modify contents there might have been a problem while setting permission the problem is after i quot unshared quot it i have no modification access to the folder i can access it though to view my files but i cant create a new folder rename a new folder or modify files within the subfolders FYI its my Games folder i found out abt this when i wasnt able to save my games cos the error said that the program was denied access i am the admin on the pc n i still cant modify it Win Xp SP usin AVG IS simple sharing is enabled have shared the folder b had no problems till a couple days ago tried system restore to no effect Additional Details can delete a folder regretting it but cant restore it from recycle bin says check if disk is full or write protected nbsp

A:Solved: Denied access to folder...

Try taking the ownership of that folder.
Goto Security -> Advanced -> Owner
If you are admin on your PC, you should be able to take ownership. After that you should be able to modify that folder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-denied-access-to-folder.920694/
Relevancy 66.65%

Windows XP Home bit version I have had a strange problem where I am not sure I am infected but I am certainly as hell feeling painful symptoms Every now and then I will download something that needs to be unrared and when I do I put it into a folder on my desktop When I then try and run the program in question it tells me that access is denied Weirder still is that when I try and use other files in that same folder it tells me that access is denied on them as well I have since been able to delete the folders with great difficulty by become Folder Files in is denied" "access using unlocker but unlocker had no clue as to why I couldn't delete them either It just said No Locking Handle Files in Folder become "access is denied" Found However Unlocker can Files in Folder become "access is denied" help deal with this object strong I have since run all manner of antivirus and antimalware programs from your downloads section ADWKiller Malwarebytes ant-malware HitmanPro Windows Repair All in one and each Files in Folder become "access is denied" of them reported all manner of malware and deleted said files but the underlying problem still remains I have run a scandisk and I am currently running disk defragmenter as well And I am downloading from windows update seeing as it found several security updates for me I am not sure scandisk ran fully either because it takes so long to run I used it while I was sleeping

A:Files in Folder become "access is denied"

Hello DarkD and Welcome -
I am not sure scandisk ran fully either because it takes so long to run I used it while I was sleepingIf you mean sfc /scannow, the program should not take much more than 30 minutes at the most.
If you mean another program, could you please be a bit more specific with a name.

I have since run all manner of antivirus and antimalware programs from your downloads section.

Please try to be reasonably specific with the programs you ran, and the order in which you ran them.

Do you have your last Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan logs, or open the program face, and look under the Logs Tab across the top line -
Please post the log back here, and any other related current log that you have access to.

Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/506099/files-in-folder-become-access-is-denied/
Relevancy 66.65%

I downloaded Comodo antivirus protection onto my vista homa basic laptop on recomendation of family but it proved to just be a big mess up and i swapped to another anti virus instead but It wont let me delete the folder after uninstalling it, I have tried turning user account control off and have also tried changing the ownership and even looked to see what permissions i do have, I have full controll over the folder yet everytime i try and delete it i just end up with the error note saying destination folder access denied, and that i do not have permissions to delete this file I don't know what to do I have tried everything I have found through forums too but nothing please help me

You can try a utility like Unlocker or LockHunter. You can get them free. Or the av program may require a "removal tool" or "cleanup tool" to get it all off your system. I would try both. Some of those av don't go away quietly. Check the web site for a removal tool.

Another trick is to log out, then log back in. Sometimes that will get what's holding the file or folder to let go of it.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/274077-destination-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi, I have a problem with the UAC and access privileges. I am the administrator on my computer and i accidently set up access control for half of my files (deny access to SYSTEM and administrators). I changed all the settings back, disabled UAC, allowed access to all users and groups and applied those changes to all subfolders and files. However, I'm still getting a message saying i dont have permission to access. I tried changing the ownership but it doesnt apply to every subfolder and I dont wanna go and change the ownership for every single file.

Please help! i need those files!

A:You have been denied permission to access this folder

Hi GuiltySquiD welcome to SevenFourms

Open up an Elevated Command Prompt. Click on in type CMD . Right click on CMD under Programs (1) choose . On the User Access Control window click on the Yes button . Command Prompt opens up to C:\Windows\System32>_

type in this command below

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose press <ENTER>

Hightlight the words right click choose copy or you could press Ctrl+C to copy . To paste onto the command prompt. Right click on an empty area inside Command Prompt and choose Paste .

Note
Ctrl+V will not work in Command Prompt . If you try you will only get ^V in return
Restart PC once done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/293857-you-have-been-denied-permission-access-folder.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I wasn t sure where to put this question but hopefully someone will redirect me Router Asus WL- G Premium V External hdd WD elements desktop TB NTFS I tried to read write files on the hdd when direct connected with usb to a computer And that works fine Now I connected the hdd to the denied! folder access Destination router locally named EMYLINK with USB Now I can see my hdd as a shared subfolder part under network in windows The recent written files I can read But when trying to write to the hdd I get the following error message quot Destination folder access denied You need permission to perform this action quot When connected by usb to my computer I Destination folder access denied! changed the permission for the hdd so that everyone can do everything Just to see if it made any difference but it didn t I also have another hdd part connected which works fine through the network WDE Destination folder access denied! U FAT a few years old Might this be a problem caused by NTFS Or is it some OS changes of the permission I need to do Enlight me Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU M GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count Destination folder access denied! RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT M Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Acer Aspire G V Base Board Serial Number Antivirus None nbsp

A:Destination folder access denied!

Sorry to say this, but have you configured this with HomeGroup? Try starting from scratch with HomeGroup and make your LAN with that, it'll be easier for P2P and file transfers/cloud storage, hop this helped.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/destination-folder-access-denied.1021023/
Relevancy 66.65%

I'm using Windows 10 and am the only User and hence administrator. However, when I try to paste an tif image in a folder I am denied access to the folder on my computer. How can I get access?

A:Access denied to folder in Windows 10

Have you checked the permissions on the folder?

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/access-denied-to-folder-in-windows-10/216.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I'm the administrator of my computer But for the first time I am unable to unpack a rar file There are 7 of them each part of a 2 GB file. Every time I try to unpack the rar file any one of them I get a message at the end saying 'file access denied' I need permission from the administrator to make changes to this file. But I am the administrator

Relevancy 66.65%

Hi I m trying to retrieve data from an old drive through an Apricorn USB adapter It shows as drive F and I can transfer any file I like through Windows Explorer EXCEPT it denies me access to the my documents section where of course the most important stuff is to Denied folder access section The specific area I try to open is F Documents and Settings Owner YOUR-ADE B When I try to open this area it says it is not accessible and access is denied Any other folders within the F Documents and Settings can be opened Any folders anywhere else can also be opened As further background this is a drive that got corrupted and would not boot WinXP except in safe mode The problem there of course is there are no drivers like USB or CD DVDR available to get any of the files out of the machine Also my Denied access to folder section account had a password on it I put the same password on the new machine connected to the Apricorn Denied access to folder section USB device but that doesn t seem to matter Any ideas would be most welcome Thanks Ron nbsp

A:Denied access to folder section

Welcome to TSG....

The one thing that I would suggest is to try and update the drivers for this device on the computer that you are on

http://www.totallydrivers.com/device.php?id=43265

Other than that I would also suggest trying the site for the adapter and taking a look thru the FAQ's to see if there is anything that can be found there.

Also I do not know if this will work but you might want to take a look at this:

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/denied-access-to-folder-section.600840/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hey I am running widows server 2008 R2 and have run into a bit of a sticky situation. I was installing Avast home for my OS when I got an error that said it wasn't supported by the server edition of windows. I quickly found a hack that involved changing the permissions of the ProductOptions folder located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ?> SYSTEM ?> CurrentControlset ?> Control in the register. I thought I was denying the permissions for the account I was logged into (not a full administrator account) but when I went to set it back after the installation was complete I realized I had locked my Admin account out of the folder as well. I have been instructed that this may cause my system to fail on boot and am afraid to shut my system down. How can I change these permissions back?

A:Denied my Self Access to ProductOptions Folder

Run system restore - select a restore point prior to the attempted Avast installation -
START | type rstrui

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/201753-denied-my-self-access-productoptions-folder.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello guys, I tried all I could... all I know. Means not so much. My windows HP was having problems booting and shutting down, so I reinstalled from the orig. CDs. I have a Cd in french, but now XP is in English. This is not the problem, as I speak English. BUT my folder containing pictures, private files, and working files, in the folder C:\Documents and settings is now saying "C:\Documents and Settings\Francis is not accessible" and just under "Access is denied". I runned Registry mechanic, from PC Tools, and I see all my files being scanned, but I tried by all the possible ways I know, and I was unable to find a solution. I guess it might be a detail, but I sincerely ignore it. Could anyone help me as soon as possible ? I would appreciate it very much. Fred from Geneva.

Relevancy 66.65%

when i try to copy a file to a program file folder, it tells me that the destination folder access denied. i've already changed to ownership for the folder and files inside, and the file i'm trying to drag to it and it still won't let me do anything. i'm am the only one using my computer and its pissing me off. now i see why people don't use vista. can i get around this?

A:destinatin folder access denied

Hi LiL L -

Welcome back to TSF.

The "TrustedInstaller" is the owner of record of the Program Files folder and all within. You do not have "permission" by him/her to edit any files.

As you know, you must first take ownership of the folder - but then set the appropriate file permissions. This can be accomplished tediously via a series of screens through Vista or in the following manner:

Bring up an Elevated command prompt via:
START | type cmd into the start search box | right-click on cmd (cmd.exe) | select "Run as Administrator" | next to the prompt type the following exactly as it appears except substituting the filename and username in the command:

takeown /f %systemdrive%\Program Files [hit enter]
(space after takeown and before %systemdrive%)

icacls %systemdrive%\Program Files /grant username:f [hit enter]
(space after icacls; before /grant and after /grant)

Good Luck to you..

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/destinatin-folder-access-denied-244119.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I recently had to do a Windows Recovery with my computer I have a nd hard drive on which I have backed up a lot of my files Folder Not Is Denied. Is Accessible. Access and such When I go to use those backed up files on my primary hard drive I am unable to access these files because this error message comes up quot Folder is not accessible Access is denied quot I can t even copy those files to the other hard drive I found the following article on microsoft s website http support Folder Is Not Accessible. Access Is Denied. microsoft com kb en-us I am guessing that it applies only to XP pro because some of the things it recommends doing are not even on my computer Can anyone tell me how to accomplish the same thing with XP home edition Thanks in advance Here are the steps My comments are in purple quot RESOLUTIONTo resolve this issue you must turn off Simple File Sharing and then take ownership of the folder Turn off Simple File Sharing a Click Start and then click My Computer b On the Tools menu click Folder Options and then click the View tab c Under Advanced Settings click to clear the Use simple file sharing Recommended check box and then click OK Simple file sharing is not even offered in my advanced settings Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of and then click Properties Click the Security tab and then click OK on the Security message if one appears I have no security tab Click Advanced and then click the Owner tab I have no owner tab In the Name list click your user name Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator or click the Administrators group If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box Click OK You may receive the following error message where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes Click Yes Click OK and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents quot

A:Folder Is Not Accessible. Access Is Denied.

You will have to:1) Take ownership of the files/folders2) Then give yourself "Full Control" over the files/foldersTo do this (in XPHome) you'll have to boot into "Safe Mode" (by tapping F8 as Windows starts to load).Once in Safe Mode, you'll be able to right click on the files, select the Properties tab, and then select the Security tab.At the bottom of the Security tab is a button for "Advanced", click on it - then click on the Owner tab. Make yourself the Owner of the files/folders by double clicking on your user name.Then click OK to exit the dialog. Then, go back in and give yourself "Full Control" in the Security tab.You may note that this doesn't always carry down through the directory structure. The solution is to do it manually to each level - a real PITA, but it gets the job done.FWIW - here's an Access Denied HowTo with more details: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69721/folder-is-not-accessible-access-is-denied/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi there I Denied Access Destination Folder m getting this very annoying problem i ve had it countless times before too where a folder I am trying to delete overwrite a file in is refusing me access I get the error message quot Destination Folder Access Denied quot The folder was created by an installer for a program it s in program files Destination Folder Access Denied just now by me with me logged in I am the only account on the computer and i m an administrator Now the basics and usual stuff is out the way here s what i ve tried I ve tried giving me ownership it was previously set to quot System quot or something That didn t work Under the quot Security quot tab of the folder properties everything is ticked for quot Administrators quot as well so I really can t see why the hell Vista isn t allowing me full access to a folder created and owned under my login heck i m the only account on this pc Highly frustrating and illogical but I ve come to expect that from vista now I m hoping someone can help me through this extremely frustrating problem Thanks guys nbsp

k:
Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

1. Being an adminstrator does not = being THE administrator.
Which OS? Which version if Vista? Which SP?

How have you fixed this, in the past?

2. Did you try this method?
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html

3. Have you tried programs such as Unlocker?
http://www.freewarebb.com/Unlocker-187-file3827.html

4. Or other methods suggested here?
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/818279-cannot-delete-rename-zero-sized.html

5. How about using an UBCD?
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Keep us posted.

Best of success.

RF123

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/destination-folder-access-denied.819675/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello there

I have a computer with windows 2003 server installed on it. There is one shared folder. The computer's name is SERVER. The shared folder's name is OFFICE.
Whenever I type \\SERVER\OFFICE in a windows explorer window, I get a pop up window with a message that says that Windows does not find \\SERVER\OFFICE.

How can I fix this?
I mean, I should be able to see the folder in this way because this OFFICE folder is shared and I am doing this from the same computer and not from another computer in the LAN.
Any idea?
Thanks

A:access denied to shared folder

OFFICE is at the root of the C: drive, right?

I would first try changing "OFFICE" to a name that is less likely to be (semi) reserved on a Microsoft system; and if that doesn't help I would then make a similar change to "SERVER."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-to-shared-folder.972429/
Relevancy 66.65%

ok i formatted my system and i had backed up my pictures ont oa secondary harddrive, forgetting that they were encrypted by windows XP hence making them only viewable by that account but now i am noit able to open the photos at all, it says access is denied? how can i solve this issue? are there any third party applications that can break the encryption?

A:Access Denied on a backed up folder

I had something similar a while back with some folders I was trying to browse from an Image created with Acronis.

You should be able to right click on the folder and go to 'Properties'. Select the 'Security' tab and then click 'Advanced'. From there, click the 'Owner' tab and change the owner to yourself, click Apply then OK. Then click 'Add', 'Advanced' then 'Find Now', scroll to your name then click OK, then OK again and make sure there is a tick in all the boxes under Allow. Click Apply then OK.

Then try again.

You may need to change your folder view to disable siimple file sharing to show the security tab...

In windows explorer, click Tools then Folder Options, then View..scroll to bottom of the list and remove the tick from 'Use simple file sharing' then click OK.

If you have Windows XP Home Edition, you will have to change the permissions whilst in safe mode.

Hope that works for you :-)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-on-a-backed-up-folder-96537.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a similar question. I got a new computer recently, and I am trying to move some mp3 files from my old hard drive (running Windows XP) onto my new system (running Vista 64x). Currently I have my old hard drive plugged in via USB from a PocketBoy. I was able to locate the files, but when I try to move them, I keep getting a message prompting for permission. Then after 1 layer of security, I get another message telling me "Destination Access Folder Denied" "You need permission to access this folder"
Can anyone help me? Which setting do I need to change to allow the transfer?
Thanks for any help you can provide. My apologies if this thread is redundant.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/236323-destination-access-folder-denied.html
Relevancy 66.65%

My wife has just gotten a new computer with Windows Vista on it. I'm a little uncomfortable with the "Easy Transfer" so I mapped her "My Documents" folder from the old computer as a drive on the new computer. I then started trying to copy some of the files to the new computer. I am continually getting a "Destination Folder Access Denied" on many of the files. The strange thing is that some of the files will copy, yet others will not. I have full admin privileges on both computers. Any thoughts.

Thanks,

Britt

Ok, I've discovered something. I am looking at the folder on the old computer (running XP Home) from the new computer (running Vista Home Premium). When I right click the files and go to properties->Security, the files that I can't copy say "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission setting". While the files I can copy show me a list of Groups or user names and a permissions box. My guess is that somehow the permissions on the SOME of the files on XP got a security set to them, but I have no idea how or how to change it.

Thanks,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/destination-folder-access-denied-139494.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi,

Ive built a new pc for a guy cos his mobo failed and installed his old hd as a slave so he can get his old files etc..

All the user log-ins but 1 didnt have a password and can be accessed easily but the main account used to have a log-in password and we cant get into "my documents" on the old drive.

Is there anything i can do to make it accessable?

Thanx

A:Solved: folder saying access denied

search the net for a utility to blank his XP password. There are several good ones out there.

EDIT:
Misread that.

Try taking ownership of the folder

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-folder-saying-access-denied.773392/
Relevancy 66.65%

hi I moved the contents of a backup video dvd onto my laptop into its video folder. It was VIDEO_TS AND AUDIO_TS. Now i am trying to move those two folders into one folder with the name of the movie. The audio one moved in fine but the video one gives me this message that reads Destination Access Folder Denied. You need Permission...
I need some help

Thanks you in ahead

A:Destination Access Folder Denied

Try Taking Ownership of the Folder or use Unlocker.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/destination-access-folder-denied.912292/