Windows Support Forum

Desktop Icons Showing File Type and Size

Q: Desktop Icons Showing File Type and Size

So, after I let a baby play with my keyboard, my desktop icons now display the file type and size of the icon. I've tried looking in the personalization options and googling for a fix but haven't had any luck thus far.

If any one could lead me to a fix or point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Screenshot is attached.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Desktop Icons Showing File Type and Size

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Desktop Icons Showing File Type and Size

After clicking around, right clicking the desktop > View > and clicking either small, medium, or large icons, seem to set the icons back to normal.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/24042-desktop-icons-showing-file-type-size.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi all,

Built my new computer yesterday and installed Windows 7 64 bit, Enterprise.

I have noticed that the file type icons aren't showing in explorer, while little it is extremely annoying as when searching for an excel document for example I just look for the icon.
It seems to work for some icons and not others- as shown in the image below.

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks

A:File type icons not showing in explorer

Icon Cache - Rebuild

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/248531-file-type-icons-not-showing-explorer.html
Relevancy 88.15%

i am facing this annoying problem with my win7 sp1 x64 system

whenever i set my default browser to chrome 11 i cannot see the icons on saved web pages (web page complete)
see 1st scrshot

now when i set firefox4 as my default browser voila!! i can see the icons
2nd scrshot

A:FILE TYPE ICONS NOT SHOWING WITH CHROME AS DEFAULT BROWSER

This happened also to me and didn't find a solution, sorry.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/152839-file-type-icons-not-showing-chrome-default-browser.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi,

I need a batch file that changes icon's size from "Large Icons" to "Medium Icons".

Thanks in advance!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/request-batch-file-to-change-desktop-icons-size.1092349/
Relevancy 80.41%

I did an update to AdWords Editor and my screen flashed afterwards and now most file type icons have reverted to no icon. Some are still there but most are not. They are missing in the folders and desktop. I have already deleted the IconCache.db several times and rebooted. The default program associations are working fine. Every file opens as it should. Even if I do change this, the icon does not return. I tried changing .txt files to open by default with Word but still nothing. Please help.

A:Desktop & file icons not showing up, only certain programs, files open

For some reason, I was missing the following folders under C:\Windows\Installer. No clue how, once I re-added from another computer, problem solved:

{90140000-0011-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE} - this is for Office
{AC76BA86-1033-FFFF-7760-000000000006} - this is for Acrobat

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372538-desktop-file-icons-not-showing-up-only-certain-programs-files-open.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I've seen multiple posts here and other forums and I have tried all of the steps provided in those posts but it is not resolving my issue I have the exact same Extra Multiple Large smallest in showing using icons Icons when size issue as the user in THIS THREAD I have tried the icon database rebuild both manually and using the bat file HERE I have tried ie uinit exe - ClearIconCache from command prompt I have tried Disk Cleanup and checked the box to delete icon cache and I have tried different cache size amounts using the steps HERE I've tried these all from normal boot and safe mode I don't know what else to do The icons that have the problem keep changing every time I restart the PC I can change them to another icon rename the icon the shortcut had previously been using and reapply that icon and it shows normal at that time but as soon as I restart the PC icons change to the smaller size on random shortcuts again What other steps are there Thanks in advance

A:Multiple icons showing in smallest size when using Extra Large Icons

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

Have you tried the batch file in this tutorial:
Folder View Settings - Reset All to Default
It resets the area of the registry that stores some desktop icon info.
warning: read the note about desktoprestore.

You might also want to try combining the batch file for icon cache rebuild with this one... only kill/restart explorer once at the end.

Does this problem happen if you create (& log onto) a new (test) user account?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/323412-multiple-icons-showing-smallest-size-when-using-extra-large-icons.html
Relevancy 75.68%

How do I search a directory for a file type, and have it only show files that aren't that file type.
For example, searching a directory for only .jpg, and have the search only show files that are not .jpg, such as .txt, .png, etc.

Relevancy 73.96%

So I edited the imageres.dll file and edited some icons however the icons don't show. The folder icons only show when the layout is set to large images, but if I set it to list or details or small icons the default icons show, why? look at the images below..

A:Icons not showing if I change layout type

Did you use a multilayer icon or a single layer icon? Put the icon that you used in a zip folder and post it here so I can look at them.
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/205949-icons-not-showing-if-i-change-layout-type.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I have just built a new computer using Windows Pro bit however I've noticed when I open Windows explorer out of times it will continuously search for drives when opening up explorer and not show any drives that are installed I've tried reformatting using different hard drives but the problem persists no matter what I do I've reinstalled Windows with only a single drive plugged in tried different SATA ports but this folders/file icons/thumbnails showing Drives not showing, not problem keeps Drives not showing, folders/file icons/thumbnails not showing coming back The only thing I can think of is that the Windows install disk is corrupted and not installing properly I've also noticed that once it starts searching like this the icons wont display in any folder although the file names will Likewise when trying to sort files Drives not showing, folders/file icons/thumbnails not showing by date type etc they will not sort When this happens I can easily type in Drives not showing, folders/file icons/thumbnails not showing C to get to the drive without problem to access the drive but above problems with icons not showing sorting etc still is a problem Has anyone had this problem Know of a way to fix this I'm not looking forward to having to reformat again as I don't have the time to sit through and reinstall everything again after

A:Drives not showing, folders/file icons/thumbnails not showing

Hey Man.

When Im having problems with the system i do this:

Open cmd as administrator and then type "sfc/scannow" press enter

I will check your system for missing systemfiles and problems.

Give it a try and let me hear from you

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/291483-drives-not-showing-folders-file-icons-thumbnails-not-showing.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I use several different word processors two of which are Atlantis and Jarte Both create mostly rtf files My favorite kind On my XP computer Atlantis and Jarte and every other word processor I've ever used show their own icons in Explorer If I use Atlantis to create an rtf file that file shows Atlantis' icon and every file I create in Jarte shows Jarte's icon On my Win machine that is not happening I get an icon that Windows believes is the default rtf file and that's all Is there some way I can change that behavior to the XP way of displaying icons Yes I did change the default rtf application hoping that would fix the problem but it did not It only changed the default icons to the app I chose as the default I would very much like to know at a glance which wordprocessor created a Icons Icons Application Type File vs specific file If you can help I thank you very much If not thanks anyway

A:File Type Icons vs Application Icons

Unfortunately, that will not happen within Windows 7.  One work-around is to have, under a master rtf folder, an rtf folder for X program and an rtf folder for program Y, with programs X & Y preset to save everything in their assigned directories.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605714/file-type-icons-vs-application-icons/
Relevancy 69.23%

In my file explorer I would like to change the size and the type of font.
I would like to be able to see better and clearer.
I do not like the andicape window format.
Thanks

A:File Explorer Type and font size

Right click your desktop> properties> appearance tab> at the bottom in the font size box, select large and click ok.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-explorer-type-and-font-size.346238/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi, my desktop is not displaying any icons, and right clicking doesn't work anywhere on the desktop. All this has occurred after a Trojan ran upon start-up. I have removed the trojan and the files it came from with an updated Microsoft security Essentials. The icons that should be on the desktop are still being displayed when I search for them on Windows explorer. I am running vista SP2 on a new desktop computer. I don't have any idea on how to remedy this problem. Any suggestions are welcome.

A:Desktop not showing icons and unable to right click on desktop.

I suggest that you proceed to to our Security Center, Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum, to have your system reviewed by a Security Analyst. Please be sure to follow THESE STEPS carefully before posting your logs in the Security Forum.

Please be patient as the Security Analysts are very busy and one will get to you as soon as possible.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/desktop-not-showing-icons-and-unable-to-right-click-on-desktop-441340.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Some of the thumbnails aren't showing up windows explorer even though they are the same file type. There will be 12 episodes of a show in .AVI or .MKV, and only 9 will have thumbnails, the other 3 don't. I have the Haali Media Splitter on to show thumbnails and I installed the Windows Service Pack to to it too (not sure which one is actually working, if I had to guess I'd say it's Haali).

To enable the thumbnails on Haali Media Splitter I click it, the went: options → explorer integration → show thumbnails (yes) → thumbnails offset (10000)

Not sure what is wrong...can anyone help?

And this is a problem with pretty much all the file types, some thumbnails showing and some not when they're in the same folder and I got them from the same source (all the files in a folder are either AVI or MKV, but the problem happens with both)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406845/some-thumbnails-not-showing-up-same-file-type/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello all,
This is my first post on the forum 
The problem is this:  I have been finding files all over my computer with type "deealster."  This seems like it could be some kind of malware, but I have not found anything referencing this anywhere!  Though it does look like people have had issues with something called "dealster" (one "e") before. 

Example:  In my Web/JSF project folder (Project>build>web>WEB-INF>classes) there is a file called "_netbeans_update_build" and another called, "_netbeans_update_resources" both of file type "deealster."

I also see a lot of these types in my glassfish folders.

Like I said, I could not find anything when I googled this, which is actually one of the reasons I believe this might be something malicious.

Anyone else have a clue?

-Nick

A:File type "deealster" showing up

Welcome aboard   Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop. Double-click SecurityCheck.exe Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.NOTE 3. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message restart computer and Security Check should run Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action CenterWindows UpdateWindows DefenderOther ServicesPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply. Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Devices (do NOT change any settings here)List Users, Partitions and Memory sizeList Restore PointsClick Go and post the result. Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) to your desktop.NOTE. If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed scroll down.Double-click mbam-setup-2.0.0.1000.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

Launch Malwarebytes Anti-MalwareA 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
Click Finish.On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' linkAfter the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.In most cases, a restart will be required.Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed:On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' linkAfter the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.In most cases, a restart will be required.Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.How to get logs:(Export log to save as txt)After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.Click on the History tab > Application Logs.Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.Click 'Export'.Click 'Text file (*.txt)'In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".Click OkAttach that saved log to your next reply.(Copy to clipboard for pasting into forum replies or tickets)After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.Click on the History tab > Application Logs.Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.Click 'Copy to Clipboard'Paste the contents of the clipboard into your reply.Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) to your desktop.Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.Double click on downloaded file. OK self extracting promp... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597849/file-type-deealster-showing-up/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi all,
I need your help pls

Windows 7 Home premium 32bit
Icons are Large at the desktop, when i resized them into medium or small and restart they are back to Large size once again!

I tried doing this several times but again and again into the Large size

Someone help pls and advice me how to get the desktop icons medium or small forever!

Am sure that should be an easy way but in fact i have no idea

Thanks in advance,

A:desktop icons size

Please review this nice tutorial by Brink and see if it helps:

Icon Size - Change in Windows Explorer Window

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/109688-desktop-icons-size.html
Relevancy 68.37%

How can I reduce or increase size of icons on desktop.

A:Size desktop Icons

Hello Willden,

You could use OPTION FOUR or OPTION FIVE in the tutorial below to change the size of your desktop icons.

Folder View Layout - Change in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/35203-size-desktop-icons.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Recently, I installed a new monitor to my laptop and was fiddling around with the new monitor's icon sizes. It seemed fine initially, but once I decided to disconnect and revert back to my laptop's monitor, the icon's sizes were off. Some were small, whilst others were large. The smaller ones did not change with re-sizing (manual nor using CTRL + scroll).

Furthermore, restarting the computer made further changes. A couple of the icons that were originally large became small, but none grew.

Is there anything I can do? There must be a way to reset, or something similar.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395183-some-desktop-icons-will-not-re-size.html
Relevancy 68.37%

How can I reduce or increase size of icons on desktop.

A:Size desktop Icons

Hello Willden,

You could use OPTION FOUR or OPTION FIVE in the tutorial below to change the size of your desktop icons.

Folder View Layout - Change in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/35203-size-desktop-icons.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Can someone help me please. I want to view the file size in a tooltip but it won't show. I tried checking the box in the folder options but it only will show the type. Thanks.

A:File Size Not Showing

Can someone please help!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/211918-file-size-not-showing.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello Everyone I have kind of an odd question I have been looking into changing file type icons when I came across an interesting conflict I would like to be able to change the file type icon for all exe files to the Else File .exe File Changing But Nowhere Explorer In Icons Type same file type icon within a file explorer If you were to try to do this all icons that are associated with each exe program becomes the same icon no matter where they are located The thing is that usually when I am in a file explorer the exe files are installers and when I have exe files in places like on my desktop in the start menu and in the Changing .exe File Type Icons In File Explorer But Nowhere Else taskbar they are for launching already installed programs Can anyone think of a possibly way that could solve this conflict easily with some kind of setting or software I thought maybe something with shortcuts but that turned out to not work for me I also believe that ico icon files have multiple sizes within them but I don't think there would be a realistic way to edit each of them for all the programs installed Has anyone else ever tried something like this or have any solutions that I am not aware of Thank You

A:Changing .exe File Type Icons In File Explorer But Nowhere Else

File Explorer is on Windows 8/8.1, renamed from Windows Explorer on Windows 7 back to Windows95/Windows NT4.

Usually an .exe file for running a program will have its own icon, right-click a Shortcut, Properties, Change Icon to see what the .exe file has in it. Some programs may have a separate icon in their Folder in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). If no icons are found Windows will put up a panel with a number of choices but they are more generic, mostly for Windows things.

Installable .exe files will have more of a generic icon and are of only a few types.
Examples

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/345090-changing-exe-file-type-icons-file-explorer-but-nowhere-else.html
Relevancy 67.94%

If I right click on the desktop and select Sort by "type" or any other choice, it will be selected, after a reboot for some reason windows doesn't remember the selection and I have to set it again. It shows that nothing is selected at all after reboot.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,
Magoo

A:Sort by Type not remembered of desktop Icons

I am not suggesting that you use this. I do not know much about it. That being said it was suggested by a Forum Member to others
desktop icons position saving software - Vista Forums
Works with Seven

This may be better, made for 7
Lock Desktop Icon Positions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/125476-sort-type-not-remembered-desktop-icons.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Well i just got this computer a few days ago, i noticed that the compressed zip folder options in new> was missing, i looked it up and found a registry fix and it fixed it, but i still have one problem- .zip shows as an unknown file extension, i tried deleting the .zip config in the registry to restore to defaults and i've tried all the fixes out there and all got the same result, they just won't work! Any help please?

Edit: I do not want anyone telling me to download a 3rd party program like winzip or winrar etc. i just want to get this fixed

A:.zip extension showing as unknown file type?

Hi and welcome to TSF did you try this Restore the Windows XP native Zip file integration

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/zip-extension-showing-as-unknown-file-type-652222.html
Relevancy 67.51%

So, I decided to just do a reinstall of Windows 10 after having a couple of issues and downloading software such as iObit that is questionable at best (just found that out, glad I did some research online) and everything has been going really smoothly in terms of updating programs, apps, etc., but I just found this weird glitch or bug if you will. Take a look at the screenshot attached. Doing the simple ctrl+mouse wheel will make the desktop icons larger or smaller, but for some reason the text size is still SUPER small. My resolution settings are normal for Windows 10 (250% recommended) and I've never encountered this issue before.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

A:Desktop Icons Weird Size

Right click on the desktop and click on Display Settings. Click Advanced Display Settings and then Advanced Sizing of Text and Other Items. One of the Items you can set size and boldness for is Icons.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/35595-desktop-icons-weird-size.html
Relevancy 67.51%

How do I change the size of my icons on my desktop?

Please help me
Thanks

Relevancy 67.51%

How do I change the size of icons on my desktop? I have Windows XP.

Please help me
Thanks

A:How do I change the size of icons on my desktop?

You are being helped here: http://forums.techguy.org/t282204.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-change-the-size-of-icons-on-my-desktop.282229/
Relevancy 67.51%

Accidentally increased the size of desktop icons, and have been unable to reverse the change. Any suggestions??

Solved!
View Solution.

A:how do i reduce the size of the desktop icons?

Hi: You should be able to right click on your desktop.  Select View and you will have a choice to select large, medium or small icons. Paul

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/how-do-i-reduce-the-size-of-the-desktop-icons/td-p/1585271
Relevancy 67.51%

Yesterday, I upgraded my Vostro 1500 laptp from WinXP to Win7 without any problem except for icon size. Correct grahpic driver (GEForce 8400M GS) for Win7 was also updated. I like the smaller icons size on desktop and taskbar in WinXP with native screen resolution of 1280 x 800. After converting to win7, the screen size was also restored to 1280 x 800 too. But the icons size on both desktop and taskbar is rather bigger in Win7. (Text size is just fine). I could not resize the same icon size as in Win XP. I tried to change but 9 point Segoe UI at 96pixels per inch is default in Win7. The scale to the percentage of normal size is 100% or above, not less than 100%. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

A:How to re-size icons on desktop and taskbar?

Just right click the open space on the desktop and choose view - small icons.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/169358-how-re-size-icons-desktop-taskbar.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello Desktop size icons won't in increase still again Recently I wanted to know how to transfer an old favorite icon to a new link website and put Desktop icons still won't increase in size it on the desktop Thanks to everyones help I was able to do this Now I have another related problem I am trying to increase the size of the desktop icons I am not talking about the traditional method of holding the Crtl key and moving the mouse wheel or going to a certain place and selecting small medium or large icons These methods increase the size of all of your icons Rather I have found a way to increase the size of icons individually using a program I bought Image Icon Converter which allows you to select different sizes and then using Windows Photo Gallery to paste the new icon to the desktop Having done this I wish to create desktop links to websites for these larger icons Unfortunately I cannot get the old link to transfer to the new larger icon Everytime I try it will not show me anything in the Properties box of the larger icon for changing icons This does not surprise me because the new larger icon is simply a larger image of an icon created from Windows Photo Gallery My problem here would be to find a way to manipulate this icon And when I try to create a new desktop website link and switch icons to what I prefer it keeps reverting back to the same old small icon So I have these two avenues to try and change icons and neither one of them is working Can someone help me solve these problems or find a new way to do what I want to do Thanks

A:Desktop icons still won't increase in size

What is the filetype of the new larger icons? If it isn't .ico, try saving it as an .ico file and then attempt the second method of selecting it as the icon for the created shortcut and see if that works. If it does, then you would want to find a special place to save these icons (not the desktop) and reference that location and choose the appropriate icon when you create desktop shortcuts to internet sites (or any other type of shortcut for that matter).

From the following Shortcut Folder or File Icon Change it seems that created icons only work right in Medium View (though that is admittedly a different way of creating the icons and not a special program designed for that purpose or even close to the method you are using). This article talks about converting to .ico files using the simple Paint program (but I see from the web site that your program supports .ico).

Another thing to consider is I just visited convert Image to Icon, bmp to ico, gif to ico, jpg to ico which is what I think you got and I note that Vista is NOT included in the list of supported operating systems - and that may have something to do with why you're having problems. The process seems simple enough convert gif to Icon, picture to icon, gif to icon, jpg to icon but again on that page as well, it does NOT include Vista as being suported. I checked the Vista Compatibility Center and the program isn't listed (which just means it wasn't tested but that often also means it isn't compatible). I do not know why it isn't compatible or how that problem might manifest itself - perhaps by causing the situation you're experiencing (or it could be for a totally different reason - no explanation is provided).

It seems unfortunate that the only support option is e-mail AVI to DVD Creator, PowerPoint to Video, Image Icon Converter, Pretty Icon Maker -- JOSESSOFT SHAREWARE so maybe you can write them and see if they have an update that works with Vista (I very much doubt it or they'd be advertising it) or if they have a solution to your problem (just copy what you wrote here and paste it to the email for starters and then edit it as appropriate given you're talking to them and not to us). I suspect you may hear that it isn't compatible, but maybe they have some kind of workaround or trick that sometimes works but not often enough or well enough to consider adding Vista to the list (maybe by using yet another program or add-on to overcome whatever the problem is.

One option you might try is running the program in Compatibility Mode to see if that helps (sometimes it does when something isn't compatible with Vista). Here's how: Compatibility Mode.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282895-desktop-icons-still-wont-increase-size.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have resized my icons and arranged my vista 64b desktop, but when I boot or when I come out of standby, all my settings are lost. How can I make this permanent ?

A:how do I keep my desktop icons size permanent ?

Hi elito,

Have you check out your settings on the desktop context menu under View?
You might want to look at this tutorial as well.
Icon Cache - Rebuild

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/196542-how-do-i-keep-my-desktop-icons-size-permanent.html
Relevancy 67.51%

How do you change the size of icons on your desktop???

A:How do you change the size of icons on your desktop???

On the desktop, right click on an empty space,
select Properties
click the Appearance tab
click on Advanced
from the Item pull down menu select Icon
then adjust the size using the up and down arrows.
Just for information mine are set to size 32

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-you-change-the-size-of-icons-on-your-desktop.264332/
Relevancy 67.51%

My HP 15-AB271S-A Windows 10 laptop has larger desktop shortcut icons than my older E Machines E 732 laptop (which was recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Both have virtually the same screen dimensions and on checking the display settings in the control panels both are set to max screen resolution of 1366x768 and item size of 100% (min). While this situation is not a serious problem I would like to know if there is any way of making the icons on the HP smaller to match those on the E Machines. Incidentally I use the desktop (as opposed to the "Tile Screen" all the time.

A:Size of Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hello,

R/Click Desktop>View>Select Icon Size.

John

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/57324-size-desktop-shortcut-icons.html
Relevancy 67.51%

All icons on desktop are very large now and run parallel to bottom toolbar instead of perpendicular. I am unable to look at any other files that might help in reducing the size or the resolutin of the screen due to the size of the font also. The geek squad was unable to help figure out what I could have done. So if anyone can help me I'll be eternally grateful.  Thanks

A:Help reducing size of icons on desktop

Hello Mike, what operating system are you using? Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7?

___I am an HP employee.? Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left? Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Help-reducing-size-of-icons-on-desktop/td-p/273775
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello,
when im downloading files from Uploading.com with IDM than IDm didnt showing file size thats y if star without showing file size then download cant start wat should i do that IDM show file size i have tried many times but i didnt solve my problem i used different briwser result were same plzzzzzzzzzzz tell wat should i do?

A:IDM not showing Uploading.com file size

Does it shows an error message?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/299412/idm-not-showing-uploadingcom-file-size/
Relevancy 67.08%

i couldnt find any info on this so i had to ask here. i have winzip for zip files, and all zip files carried the winzip logo/icon. then i installed a program which had an unzip component and then all zip files took that icon, but are still selected as having winzip to be the default program to open with. i have since removed that program. how do i change the icons back to the winzip logo/icon? i know its petty but i liked the winzip icon better and it made it easier to find what i was looking for. thanx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-type-icons.307259/
Relevancy 67.08%

(Specs: WinXP, 450 PIII, 512MB)
In file folders that contain a sizable number of image files, the icons take--what seems like--an unnecessarily long time to load. For example, if I have a folder containing roughly 100 JPGs at about 3-6 MB each. If I am viewing the folder via the Details View, it takes for ever for each of the Photoshop icons to load next to the adjoining JPGs. I do a lot of cataloging of files, so the Details view is the best choice for me.

Does this sound like a problem that a registry hack could fix--assign a generic icon file to all image types? I just don't know why it would take so long for the icons to load, and the process tends to hog memory. Could it be a Photoshop file-association problem? Never-the-less, the files open fine and there are no other problems.

Thanks for any thoughts / solutions.

A:file-type icons

Apparently Photoshop inserts a new function having to do with creating thumbnails of images that it is associated with. If you right click on a jpg or tif or similar and select Properties, you will see a tab called Photoshop Image. All you have to do is to uncheck the Generate Thumbnails box and this won't happen again for any of the filetypes that Photoshop is associate with.
Source

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-type-icons.214677/
Relevancy 67.08%

My desktop & bar icons are not showing up after i messed up with regedit.exe and deleted some keys instead of letting Adwcleaner clean them up because i didn't want to restart my computer . I ran scans with anti malware tools and I left them to remove what they found. I ran sfc /SCANNOW too and it doesn't works . I tried even restarting in safe mode and that doesn't works  too. Can you please tell me how to fix it up?

A:Desktop icons & bar not showing up

Have you tried system restore?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572233/desktop-icons-bar-not-showing-up/
Relevancy 67.08%

I ve got gremlins in this sytem New icons show up on the desktop and a puppy dog is in the clock window IE behavior is wierd too sometimes Here s the HJT log and BIG thanks for any help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform desktop showing New on up icons Windows B Win x MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS SYSTEM KERNEL DLL C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSGSRV EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM MPREXE EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM SPOOL EXE C WINDOWS EXPLORER EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM SYSTRAY EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM QTTASK EXE C PROGRAM FILES NAVISEARCH BIN NLS EXE C PROGRAM FILES VVSN VVSN EXE C PROGRAM FILES WEB OFFER WO EXE C PROGRAM FILES MICROSOFT OFFICE OFFICE MSOFFICE EXE C PROGRAM FILES CASHBACK BIN CASHBACK EXE C TECH SUPPORT HIJACK THIS HIJACKTHIS EXE R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL http www begin search com googlesidesearch html R New icons showing up on desktop - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http search search-exe com nph-search cgi tcode exebar amp look sbar srchbtn R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http search search-exe com nph-search cgi New icons showing up on desktop tcode New icons showing up on desktop exesrch amp look stmpl amp fw R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http seattletimes nwsource com html home R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http search search-exe com nph-search cgi tcode exesrch amp look stmpl amp fw R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http search search-exe com nph-search cgi tcode exebar amp look sbar srchbtn R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http search search-exe com nph-search cgi tcode exesrch amp look stmpl amp fw R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http search search-exe com nph-search cgi tcode exesrch amp look stmpl amp fw R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http search search-exe com nph-search cgi tcode exesrch amp look stmpl amp fw R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http search search-exe com nph-search cgi tcode exesrch amp look stmpl amp fw R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - URLSearchHook no name - F D -E -C E - - E DF BF D - C WINDOWS Ohsvvtse dll R - URLSearchHook IncrediFindBHO Class - D FF - BE- -B C - BB A - C PROGRA INCRED BHO INCFIN DLL O - Hosts www overlakeoil com O - Hosts overlakent O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c windows googletoolbar dll O - BHO Zedd Proj clsUnoOne - B B- FE- C D- F-BCA FC B - C WINDOWS SYSTEM AANTX DLL O - BHO no name - EF - - - C - AA A DA - no file O - BHO ohb - D F F- AC - AB- B - C - C WINDOWS SYSTEM WINB S DLL O - BHO ADP UrlCatcher Class - F E - E- -BE D-ED A FD DA - C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSBE DLL O - BHO NLS UrlCatcher Class - AEECBFDA- FA- -BDCE- C E CE B - C WINDOWS SYSTEM NVMS DLL O - BHO CB UrlCatcher Class - CE - EE - - -AB A E - C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSCB DLL O - BHO CSIECore Class - - - - - - C PROGRA LYCOS IEAGENT CSIE DLL O - BHO no name - SOFTWARE - no file O - BHO IEObject Class - -BF - D - A - DA EE BE - C PROGRA EZULA EABH DLL file missing O - BHO no name - CFA C - DA- C D-A -F A A FA - no file O - BHO no name - F DE -F BD- -FD B- BE D - C WINDOWS Ohsvvtse dll O - BHO NavErrRedir Class - D FF - BE- -B C - BB A - C PROGRA INCRED BHO INCFIN DLL O - BHO LocalNRDObj Class - -B C - A - F -F C D FAD - C WINDOWS LOCALNRD DLL O - BHO CExtension Object - C E -DD - A D-ABCD- D D - C WINDOWS BXXS DLL O - Toolbar msdxmLC dll email protected amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSDXM OCX O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c windows googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar Search - A A - FB- D-B C -C E E F D - C WINDOWS Ohsvvtse dll O - HKLM Run SystemTray SysTray Exe O - HKLM Run TCASUTIEXE TCAUDIAG EXE -off O - HKLM Run mdac runonce ... Read more

A:New icons showing up on desktop

How the heck did you get this computer so badly infected again already? !!!!!

Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall the following:

CashBack by Bargain Buddy
BullsEye Network
NaviSearch
WebRebates
Web Offer

Restart after each uninstall.
Click here to download CWShredder. Close all browser windows, click on the cwshredder.exe then click "Fix" (Not "Scan only") and let it do it's thing.

When it is finished restart your computer.

Go here and download Adaware SE.

Install the program and launch it.

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.

From main window :Click Start then under Select a scan Mode tick Perform full system scan.

Next deselect Search for negligible risk entries.

Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)

Restart your computer.

Come back here and post another Hijack This log and we'll get rid of what's left.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-icons-showing-up-on-desktop.278622/
Relevancy 66.65%

I had a problem with my desktop icons changing where they were and their size
If anyone else has this problem I would try this
Show hidden files
Go to your user/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows
Delete or rename the file UsrClass.dat
It will say it cannot delete the file as it is in use but tell it to anyway
Reboot
Windows will make a fresh file and your icons will stay where you have put them

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/303855-tip-desktop-icons-changing-size-position.html
Relevancy 66.65%

When I turn on the computer, I want a few shortcut icons to be very prominent with color and size so I can find them easily and poke them with my finger on the touchscreen.

Question 1 (the title^)

Question 2: In general, if you want to save all the windows you are currently using and be able to open them all up within a few clicks later, what are the best options to do this? So say you have an excel file, a word doc, and some internet browser windows all related to one of your projects and you want to access all of those later without having to find them. What are your options to do this?

A:How do I change size/color of one or two desktop icons?

You can fastly adjust the size of all icons by pressing right click on desktop and pressing and holding the CTRL key and using the scroll wheel on the mouse.

Desktop Icons - Custom Size - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55863-how-do-i-change-size-color-one-two-desktop-icons.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have this problem that's more an an aesthetic issue than anything, but it's rather annoying. I have my icons set to be rather large on my desktop, and I download custom icons for everything to match. About halfway through the day, about half of my icons were small, for no reason. I've tried refreshing my desktop, restarting, deleting the icons and remaking them, and changing the icon, then changing it back and none of that has worked. There has to be a solution I"m not aware of, and an internet search hasn't helped. Any suggestions?

A:Desktop Icons Show at wrong size

Hello Eccid

Just right click on your desktop then click on "view" and choose medium or small icons !!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208746-desktop-icons-show-wrong-size.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello. I have changed desktop icons size by pressing "Ctrl" and moving mouse wheel. How can I change to default this size? (I want to make that size of icons EXACTLY the same as they were before changing...). Thank you.

A:Vista DEFAULT desktop icons size

Hello Subiniukas, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You can right click on the desktop and click on View and Medium icons, or the size you want instead.

Desktop Icon size

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/246381-vista-default-desktop-icons-size.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello I've spent hours looking trough google searches for every possible search combination but I cant find anyone else with the same exact problem I bought a quot Dlink NAS L quot everything works fine and I had no issues setting it up however on my only windows PC all the files show as taking GB size on the disk Picture I have updated to the latest firmware and the problem still persist This issue does not happen on my other pc's and laptops which all run windows showing disk Size piece NAS File as a 4GB on for My windows is a fresh install is fully updated as well Disk checks out for errors Does anyone know why my windows is showing every file as being GB in size on the NAS only Even files larger than that It seems like a windows explorer issue but I cant find any fixes File Size on disk for NAS showing as 4GB a piece for it It's also purely a display bug on my windows pc's and connecting online to the NAS shows the files as not taking up that much File Size on disk for NAS showing as 4GB a piece space The problem is windows tells me there's no room on the NAS based on it's reading the Size on disk as GB Part of my music collection on it was GB in size but it showed as TB on disk The disk that's inside File Size on disk for NAS showing as 4GB a piece is TB large The NAS is running some kind of linux os with an ext file system cant be changed I hope someone knows why my explorer is reading those files as that Much appreciated for any help anyone could offer Thank you

A:File Size on disk for NAS showing as 4GB a piece

That's interesting. "Size on disk" is reported wrong for files on my NAS also:

Time to go Google!

Edit: Ok, like the OP, when I check this from a Win 7 machine the "size on disk" is reported correctly. Googling around found lots of "wrong size on disk" issues, but nothing specifically related to Win 8.1. Oh well....

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/37997-file-size-disk-nas-showing-4gb-piece.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Well, that's the problem, I can't change icons for file types.
I've used several programs (IconPackager, vista visual mester) but nothing happened.
Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?

Thanks.

A:Can't change file type icons

Quote: Originally Posted by malakias

Well, that's the problem, I can't change icons for file types.
I've used several programs (IconPackager, vista visual mester) but nothing happened.
Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?

Thanks.

M

we could use alot of info about your computer.. 32bit, or 64? clean install, or upgrade, etc

I assume by fyle I think you mean file type. what do you want to change them to?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/29058-cant-change-file-type-icons.html
Relevancy 66.65%

topic title and description says it all

A:changing file type e.g. .doc icons

Go to Control Panel/Default Programs and select Associate a file type .....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/275719/changing-file-type-eg-doc-icons/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have read about, downloaded and used a number of utilities to change icons for file types. They all work. However, when I change the file type for cfg, the icons for txt, ini, log, xml; also change to the icon I set for cfg.

This had me baffled. Whether I used FileTypesMan, Types or Default Programs Editor; the result was the same. What I need to point out is that Programmers Notepad is now the default program for each of those types. I am guessing that's why their types are grouped together in Default Programs Editor. A screenshot is attached.

How do I go about separating these types for the purpose of differentiating their icons. Thanks for the help.

Graham

A:Changing File Type Icons

Sounds like Programmers Notepad changed the file associations of those file types upon installation and will not allow treating each independently when trying to change the icon. You may have to restore the defaults: Default Programs - Associate a File Type or Protocol.

If you're wanting to simply view the contents of these file types consider installing a little utility called Free File Viewer - (FreeFileViewer). You can then copy and paste the contents to PNotebook if you're wanting to edit the file or "Open with..." from the context menu of the file and select PNotepad (after deselecting "Always use the sected program.....".

If you decide to go this route you may want to try the "Open with...." selection and make PNotepad the default for .xml ONLY (as an example) and see if that action then triggers PNotepad to make it the default for all of the other file types. If it doesn't, great.

Regardless, restoring the default file associations should allow you to change the file's icons.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/366314-changing-file-type-icons.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi to registry file in type set How icons all I would like to set file type icons for different file types I would like to do this using the Registry as that way I know that it's been done and not relying on a rd party program to do it I'm fairly confident with playing in the registry and make backups of any keys that I modify just in case I have php css js txt files among others opening with Notepadd by default I can change the icon that is associate with these files by changing the Notepad defaulticon in the registry however that changes it to the same icon for ALL of the file types Is there a way I can apply icons to just ' php' or just How to set file type icons in registry ' txt' as examples I have tried adding a DefaultIcon key in the txt registry entry HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer FileExts html DefaultIcon however that doesn't make any difference Is there anything else I can do Almost forgot to add my OS I'm running Windows Home Premium How to set file type icons in registry x Thanks Denno

A:How to set file type icons in registry

Please see - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12383...-in-windows-7/

You can run the Nirsoft app mentioned, then track the Registry changes with SysInternals ProcMon -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896645

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-set-file-type-icons-in-registry-540598.html
Relevancy 66.65%

In Win7 I used an app named "File Types Manager" to assign icons to the various file types in my video collection.
I now find that in Win 8 changing the icon for one file type results in others being changed to the same icon.
It seems that in Win8 avi/mkv/iso/flv etc are all grouped together.
Anyone know of a way round this?

A:Customising File type Icons

Hello Hairy,

You might see if you may be able to manually change the icon using OPTION TWO in the tutorial below.

File Extension Icon - Change Default Icon - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/19497-customising-file-type-icons.html
Relevancy 66.65%

So i've been working on this for a day or so and it feels like icons type file Windows XP i'm missing a simple answer I really Windows XP file type icons don't like the icons that windows uses for images or for pretty much any audio files Long story about my eyes sight and the brightness of my screen aside they are small light and too similar to other things like text files so i would like to change them to what windows XP had i really liked the ones they used in XP a little tiny tiiiny icon that Windows XP file type icons says 'avi' just doesn't do it for me I already know how to change the icons Default Programs Editor works just fine so all i need to know is how i can get those default icons from windows XP Shell dll unfortunately just seems to be the basic ones for things like My Computer and so on anyone know where i would find the ones for things like avi and mpg and jpg and so on Thanks

A:Windows XP file type icons

1st stop, look at imageres.dll, And take it from there. File Type Manager from Nirsoft is a nice little prog to help you find many, not all, icon/program associations.

N.B. If you want to pm me with a list, I can prepare a reply here

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/97937-windows-xp-file-type-icons.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi first of all I want to say hello to all at bleepingcomputer since this is my first post Now to the reason of it I need some help A few days ago I installed some application that caused my desktop to show no icons I removed the app immediately rebooted and all icons on the Desktop except for folders were replaced by the quot unknown file type quot icon I ve tried a few things and managed to get back some icons through the quot change icon quot button in Properties but some icons I could Properly. Showing Up Desktop Not Icons not change or just won t The icons that still won t work are Recycle Bin Internet Desktop Icons Not Showing Up Properly. Explorer Default Web Browser I m Desktop Icons Not Showing Up Properly. using Firefox and Sony Ericsson File Manager These are the things I ve done so far - Did a System Restore to two different previous points - Changed icons through Properties in the respective programs - Downloaded registry restorations from http www kellys-korner-xp com xp tweaks htm- Ran antivirus avast ad-aware and SpyBot Nothing was found None of these have worked for me The icon files are still obviously in the computer since they appear all right in my mom s and sister s accounts And I was gonna live with it but when I turned on the PC today a blue screen with the windows logo that said quot please wait quot appeared before the welcome screen so I m starting to worry Do any of you know what the hell s going on with my pc

A:Desktop Icons Not Showing Up Properly.

If you can get to 'safe mode' I would scan with all the anti-spyware tools, like Ewido, A-squared, Spybot s & d, etc. If that doesn't work try and see if any of the windows updates have upset your syssem. I lost my search facility with a windows update.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/45351/desktop-icons-not-showing-up-properly/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have a windows XP, gateway 200gig768ram. Upon rebooting yesterday, my pc loaded fine until my desktop came up. The background picture appeared and stayed this way for a while with no icons. I reboooted again, still the same. Finally , while rebooting I inserted my Microsoft Office XP Professional startup CD and it kicked on and said I had a desktop recovery. Everything worked fine after that.

I rebooted again and it did the same thing . I have then backed up all important files, but how do I repair this problem of freezing?

Relevancy 66.22%

desktop icons wont apear we have tryed to reboot in safe mode and safe mode with prompt also tryed to right click and it wont do anything the backgrown picture is there but nothing else please help me

A:desktop icons arent showing up

Have you tried this????
Right Click desktop, choose properties>Arrange Icons by>Show desktop Icons

Jim

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-icons-arent-showing-up.923306/
Relevancy 66.22%

Any idea how to do this? I am just finding old instructions for previous versions of Windows, no longer working.

A:How to increase font size on desktop icons - shortcuts

Control Panel ->Display:

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/49155-how-increase-font-size-desktop-icons-shortcuts.html
Relevancy 66.22%

How do I change the font size of my desktop icons in Windows 10 ?

In old versions of Windows you could do that thru Control Panel\Display\Appearance

But i don't see that in Windows 10

Anyone know how to do it ?

Thank You.

A:How Do I Change the Font Size Of My Desktop Icons In Windows 10 ?

Right click on an empty space on the Windows 10 desktop, right Mouse-Button. And select "View"!

And now you can change the Windows-10 Desktop icon size:

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/12493-how-do-i-change-font-size-my-desktop-icons-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Story time.

I am using ConText as the default program to open the following 3 file types, but I need different icons for each file type.

.eml = C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\maillang.dll,20
.bas = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\vb98\vb6.exe,8
.txt = %SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE,0

How do I go about achieving this.

A:Use Different File Type Icons For Same Default Program

Hey there,
Try using the program "FileTypesMan" found here: FileTypesMan - Alternative to 'File Types' manager of Windows

Once opened, it'll take a minute or two (maybe less) to load all different file types. Right click on the
specified file type and select the option "Edit Selected File Type" or select the file extension and press F2.
From there you'll be able to set the default icon for that file extension, provided you have the ico files.

There are probably other programs out there that do this exact same thing, but this seemed to work well for me.

Hope this helped!

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/372304-use-different-file-type-icons-same-default-program.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Yeah, so I'm having no luck with this issue since Windows 7 makes it more difficult in this area. I am trying to get more functionality out of my Adobe Design Premium suite and I noticed that .svg and .svgz icons default to the regular .ai file icon. I know the application has an icon specifically reserved for these file types and I've even tried messing with the registry to get the file type to load that particular icon but nothing is working.

What could I do to force the icon to change for the .svg and .svgz file types?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/434505/force-custom-file-type-icons/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi there!

I used many different file types each day, specially those related to image editors. I have many .psd and .ai files (documents for Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator). However, since I use other programs (GIMP and Inkscape), these files look pretty ugly. They are a white sheet of paper with low resolution GIMP/Inkscape logo. And that is awful

I think I did something with W7 like messing up with regedit in order to change that. I just want W10 to show those files with a proper icon file (.ico) I have in my computer.

Thank you very much!

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/46250-how-can-you-change-icons-specific-file-type.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all

How to reset these file type icons to default, I know it's not really important since I can
open them, but I'd like to put them back to they original graphical view.
Messed up icons are: jpg, jpeg, gif, bmp

Thank you in advance

Relevancy 65.36%

My HP pavilion 15 notebook does not showing any desktop icons and also when I tried to open the icons like recycle bin and other folders from file explorer it is taking so much time

A:My HP pavilion 15 notebook does not showing desktop icons an...

Hi, 1. No, Windows 10 does not keep all icons on your desktop. Hit Win key now you can see them (not all of them) there and you can pin them (one at a time) to Tarkbar by right click then Pin to Taskbar. 2. Recycle bin has limited spacce on the HDD. It also keeps information from deleted files elsewhere. When it gets full, it will take long time to open. You may want to empty it frequently. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/My-HP-pavilion-15-notebook-does-not-showing-desktop-icons/td-p/5769280
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi

Our PC boots to desktop so that the wallpaper is showing, but no icons or task bars are coming up. I can do ctrl-alt-del to look at the processes. I have opened in safe mode and am currently running scans with AVG, Malware Bytes, Super Anti Spyware & Dr Web Scanner.

Dr Web Scanner has found and eradicated BackDoor.Tdss.565.

We think this started yesterday when our nephew click on a pop up regarding windows security Centre.

We are running XP Service Pack 3.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sisterchip

A:XP boots to desktop no icons or task bar showing

Dr Web Scanner has found and eradicated BackDoor.Tdss.565.Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/360436/xp-boots-to-desktop-no-icons-or-task-bar-showing/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have seen many quot solutions quot on this forum and on the web purporting to answer the question why the desktop icons are missing or showing only a portion of the icon None have given me any hint as to what is causing the problem I have done the DEL icon cache db a thing which re-adds the Explorer Exe entry back into the registry tried downloading new icons reverted to an earlier edition of my Desktop partially showing or missing icons system through the quot Restore quot function and Desktop icons missing or showing partially even imported an older Registry restore but nothing seems to work What is strange is up until a few weeks ago the icons appeared normally and could be adjusted in size using the quot Personalize quot function Now for my system I have a clean Win installation with the latest nVidia drivers My system has a Mz Intel dual processor and I can't recall any recent software changes that would cause this problem All Win fixes are set to download automatically Sometimes but not all the time I can restore the icon images using the personalize function and changing the quot Set the custom text size quot function with and without checking quot Use Windows XP style DPI scaling When I can change it so the icons appear normally I do a quot Create restore point quot hoping the problem is solved However the next time I boot up there the icons are looking like a pie with a slice taken out Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated This problem is driving me nuts

A:Desktop icons missing or showing partially

Sorry I don't have an answer, but what type of display are you using? A TV with HDMI input or a normal monitor with VGA or DVI input.

Have you run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt?

Does anything else on your system show any type of problem? Does the Event Viewer show any type of warnings or errors?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/70053-desktop-icons-missing-showing-partially.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Yesterday my Windows 10 was running fine until I came back from a shower.
I started up my computer logged into Windows and when I logged in the desktop was black and all I had was a mouse cursor. I opened task manager and I restarted "explorer.exe" but still nothing. I loaded up Google Chrome through the "Run New Task" option in the task manager to start looking up solutions. I've tried so many things, I've scanned for viruses and tried a few things I've seen on other posts.
For everyone else the solutions offered seemed to have worked but not for me.
One post suggested that it might be a virus that is inside windows files.
I don't remember downloading anything that day so I don't know if it can be a virus.
I need help.

A:Taskbar, Icons and Wallpaper Not Showing Up On Desktop

Hi ! Welcome to Windows Central! See if you can get into Advanced Startup! There you will find several ways to recover W10! If you need more help, please join the forum! How to access ?Advanced startup? by triggering ?Automatic Repair?
If your PC isn?t loading Windows 10 and you don?t have the operating system installation files, you can use the following trick.
Start your computer and follow the POST, when Windows should begin loading, press the power button to shutdown your computer.
Repeat the previous step twice, and in the third restart the operating system should enter into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE), where a number of diagnostics will be performed to try fix any booting issues, but you will also get an option to access the Windows Startup Settings. How to access &#039;Advanced startup&#039; options on Windows 10 to troubleshoot and fix your PC ? PUREinfoTech

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/444868-taskbar-icons-wallpaper-not-showing-up-desktop.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello everyone a strange problem accrued to me when i logged on to my pc today after my mom i guess logged earlier showing desktop mirror My a view icons in are all of my desktop icons My desktop icons are showing in a mirror view are showing in reverse like in a mirror view i tried ti virus scan- nothing found i tired to look for a solution on the net and i couldn t find either its not on the graphic options and i also try to do a system restore and still nothing and well when i change the icons size to big or small it look right but when in medium like until now it shown reversed oh and i also tried to create the icons again the original icons in the folders are looking fine and when i create a shortcut to the desktop it changing again i have no idea how to fix it plz help here is the a pic of the desktop so you can realize what i m talking about amp take a look on the office icons my computer etc nbsp

A:My desktop icons are showing in a mirror view

Hi dor_alt

Is this a laptop?
Have you tried pressing ctrl+alt and the arrow keys?
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-34244-upside-down-screen-display
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-21190-rotation-of-my-screen
Do you have the Windows Mobility Center?
Press the Windows key and the letter X to bring it up or
Start > Control Panel > Mobile PC > Windows Mobility Center
At the following link, look under: I want to change how my desktop appears on the displays.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-multiple-monitor-problems
Let us know if that helps or not.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-desktop-icons-are-showing-in-a-mirror-view.933782/
Relevancy 65.36%

Recently I ve noticed that downloading files onto my desktop won t show up on my desktop By that I mean I actually have to go to C Documents and Settings Admin Desktop to actually see the file When I try to drag the file from that folder onto my desktop it would say the source and the destination are the same even though the file doesn t visually show up on my desktop I haven Items/Icons Not Showing Desktop Solved: Up t changed resolutions and I made sure to change it Solved: Desktop Items/Icons Not Showing Up in case any of them were hiding I also did an auto-arrange for all icons to see if they would show up that way Just to add more info I just renamed a folder on my desktop screen but the name doesn t change When I try to access Solved: Desktop Items/Icons Not Showing Up it it doesn t work gives me an error and says that I m looking for a target that doesn t exist or some message to that effect But when I go to C Doc I see the folder with the new name and can access it from Solved: Desktop Items/Icons Not Showing Up there Also right click - gt refresh seems to do the trick to quot update quot my desktop but it doesn t fix the problem should more files be added to the desktop or should files be renamed Any solutions or guesses on what s going on Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Hello everyone I am a first time poster and not very knowledgeable about computers as a whole but I was searching on how to remove the contextual tools dcads program on my computer and found this forum I am also having trouble with my computer and internet being very slow and my desktop icons and start menu not showing up I installed and ran Hijackthis and my text is below I understand how busy you are and any help will be greatly appreciated Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon not icons dcads, Help up desktop removing showing exe C WINDOWS system services Help removing dcads, desktop icons not showing up exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS AOLacsd exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe Help removing dcads, desktop icons not showing up C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files Network Associates Common Framework FrameworkService exe C Program Files Network Associates VirusScan mcshield exe C Program Files Network Associates VirusScan vstskmgr exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS wanmpsvc exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Hp HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe C Program Files Network Associates VirusScan SHSTAT EXE C Program Files Network Associates Common Framework UpdaterUI exe C Program Files Common Files Network Associates TalkBack tbmon exe C WINDOWS system dpmw exe C WINDOWS system NWTRAY EXE C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Common Files Nikon Monitor NkMonitor exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech comp hptskmgr exe C Program Files CCleaner CCleaner exe C Program Files Common Files iS Anti-Spyware SZServer exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www comcast net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www comcast net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - URLSearchHook Share Accelerator MM Toolbar - b- c - b-a -deae c dc - C Program Files Share Accelerator MM tbSha dll O - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SITEguard BHO - B- F - - -F EE FCB EC - C Program Files STOPzilla SZSG dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Program Fil... Read more

Relevancy 65.36%

Windows 7 Pro 64
Self-Build.
Today it was working fine, then earlier this evening, I turned it on,

Then it Boots into Windows, I see the logo, then quickly after this, I see my Desktop, for two seconds, then nothing, the screen went black.
I next tried to RESTORE to an earlier point, but after it restarted, the same thing happened again.

This is all I need. Hopefully, it's a decent fix.
I'm on my iPod. Purer is off.
Thanks for any help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/382968-system-quits-after-showing-desktop-icons.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Dear friends, 

I am trying to create icons on the desktop by customizing size, such as rectangle ( not square icon anymore),

would you like to help?

thank you,

Best regards, 

Nate Duong,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598339/how-to-make-square-icons-on-the-desktop-to-customize-size-such-asrectangle/
Relevancy 64.93%

I keep losing the icons in Explorer, even with a fresh install of W7. It takes some time, but sooner or later they disappear. It's always Internet Explorer first (associated with .mht files) and now I've lost Chrome (associated with .htm).

Any ideas as to why this happens? Is there any fix you guys know of?

Rebuilding the W7 icon cache has not worked in the past.

Thanks.

A:Lost File Type Icons in Windows Explorer

Hello IveyLeaguer,

The icon cache would have no affect on file associations. They are two different animals.

The most common reason for file association issues is folks changing them using Open with.

If you like, you could use the tutorial below to quickly restore the default association of any file extension.Default File Type Associations - Restore
If you are sure that you or another user is not changing the file associations, then I would recommend to do a full scan of your system with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free to help make sure that your system is clean.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/274587-lost-file-type-icons-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Just upgraded WIndows Vista to Windows 7 from a download. The installation appeared to be fine but all of the icons on the desktop have lost their pictures and none of the start menu icons are showing any design nor do they work. I've tried deleting the icon cache and restarting but that hasn't worked. Any ideas?

A:All icons in start menu and desktop are showing blank

hi have you looked at brinks tutorial How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows 7 Icon Cache - Rebuild - Windows 7 Forums

Quote:
If one or more of your icons are not displaying correctly, or that your icon cache is corrupted, then you might consider rebuilding the icon cache to reset and reload the icon images into the icon cache.

The icon cache is located at the hidden system folder location below:

C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/201989-all-icons-start-menu-desktop-showing-blank.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Windows 7

The icons on the desktop are showing little images on lower left corner on documents, PDF files, text doc just about everything.

It is in same location as a short cut arrow would be on shortcuts.

this what the little box has in it. .>>

I tried rebuild icon cache thing

[IMG][/IMG]

Yikes sorry image so large

A:Desktop icons showing small images on them like the short cut ones are

Are you running Norton anti virus?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/280652-desktop-icons-showing-small-images-them-like-short-cut-ones.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I've been using the Shortcut Arrow Remover Program for a long time now and it's been working perfectly

But after I had opened my computer and took off my fan guard from my PSU I must have jogged something inside my computer because now all the shortcut arrows show up as missing images.

It could have also been to do with CCleaner when I did a clean up. I don't normally use the registry function to fix "Unused file extensions" and seeing how the icon remover program uses the .ico I think it stopped it from working.

Here is a screenshot of my desktop, as you can see where the "blank.ico" should be used it's now missing or not be able to be read.

A:Desktop shortcut icons showing up as missing images

Hello there. Try this tutorial
Icon Cache - Rebuild

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/187338-desktop-shortcut-icons-showing-up-missing-images.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I'm helping an elderly woman with her computer and I haven't used trouble shooting skills for eight years. She uses MSN (DSL) and was downloading Norton Anti-virus/security 2006 and it crashed in the middle of the download. It was unable to uninstall 2005. When the system rebooted, all of the icons on her desktop don't work (either do any programs from Start-Programs...) ,it shows/says what they are but the pictures are gone and she's unable to connect to the internet anymore. I did a check disk and it came up ok but I'm unable to get into control panel. It's really bizarre within Windows Explore, showing folders with registry headings. Her OS is Windows XP home edition. Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian

A:No internet access and Icons on desktop not showing graphic... Please Help!

First I would suggest trying System Restore (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;306084) in Safe Mode for a quick fix to bring the system back to the normal status.

Second if the crash occured in the middle of the download, her system might be infected by malicious software. Try hijackthis or other antispyware tool to clear them before the download/upgrade.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-internet-access-and-icons-on-desktop-not-showing-graphic-please-help.457418/
Relevancy 64.93%

It was working fine,I did a virus scan using Mcafee,nothing showed.I'm sure its a setting that has to be tweaked,but what?
Thanks in advance.

A:I know this is old...I did a forum search/Why arent the icons on the desktop showing?

Right click the desktop
Arramge icons by
Make sure there is a check in ' show desktop icons'

have you tried that?

joan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-know-this-is-old-i-did-a-forum-search-why-arent-the-icons-on-the-desktop-showing.551220/
Relevancy 64.93%
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello everyone a strange problem accrued to me when i logged [SOLVED] mirror view showing a desktop icons My are in on to my pc today after my mom i guess logged earlier all of my desktop icons are showing in reverse like in a mirror view i [SOLVED] My desktop icons are showing in a mirror view tried ti virus scan- nothing found i tired to look for a solution on the net and i couldn't find either its not on the graphic options and i also try to do a system restore and still nothing and well when i change the icons size to big or small it look right but when in medium like until now it shown reversed oh and i also tried to create the icons again the original icons in the folders are looking fine and when i create a shortcut to the desktop it changing again i have no idea how to fix it plz help here is the a pic of the desktop so you can realize what i'm talking about take a look on the office icons my computer etc thanks

A:[SOLVED] My desktop icons are showing in a mirror view

did you have any applications that "enhance" your desktop. (organizer, add-on themes, etc.)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-my-desktop-icons-are-showing-in-a-mirror-view-495412.html
Relevancy 64.93%

After installing a new theme, I noticed later on that all the icons on the taskbar, explorer, and the desktop were missing. The programs all work fine, with the title showing, but explorer is very laggy and it's incredibly hard to navigate through my picture folder without thumbnails.

And for some reason, I cannot open the start menu from the taskbar.

Photo Album - Imgur

I tried multiple system restores, and that did not fix the problem.

Thanks for answering, it's very much appreciated.

A:All icons on explorer, taskbar, and desktop are not showing anymore.

Hello and welcome,

You've done multiple system restores and get the same theme? Or what happens?

Click on start, and on the search bar type in cmd, once it appears right-click it and select run as administrator, upon the prompt type in sfc /scannow, it will request to scan on restart, do so.

Give an update please.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/all-icons-on-explorer-taskbar-and-desktop-are-not-showing-anymore-635799.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I am having an issue with the tart menu and desktop icons not showing up I am running Windows XP showing no and desktop icons Explorer.exe not or start menu Explorer exe is also not showing in the Windows Task Manager I ran MalwareBytes and followed the instructions and it found a Explorer.exe not showing and no desktop icons or start menu few items and cleared them out The obvious one that might contribute to the problem was Registry Data Items Infected HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanced StartMenuLogOff Hijack StartMenu - gt Bad Good - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully It said the items were deleted successfully and I rebooted my system but there still is no icons or start menu I ran HijackThis for a report and it said quot For some reason your system denie access to the Hosts file If any hijacked domains are in this file HijackThis may NOT be able to fix this quot Then it gave instructions on how to remove the file manually - it finished the scan and this is the report Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Hp HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files HP QuickPlay QPService exe C Program Files HPQ Quick Launch Buttons EabServr exe C Program Files Real RealPlayer RealPlay exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C PROGRA Yahoo browser ybrwicon exe C Program Files Visual Networks Visual IP InSight SBC IPClient exe C Program Files Visual Networks Visual IP InSight SBC IPMon exe C Program Files Yapta YaptaClient exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Fabrik Ultimate Backup fabrikhomestat exe C Program Files SonicWALL SonicWALL VPN Client SafeCfg exe C PROGRA Yahoo browser ycommon exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqimzone exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C PROGRA Symantec LIVEUP LUCOMS EXE C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files MSN Toolbar msntask exe C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults su msgr http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults sb msgr http www yahoo com ext search search html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults sp msgr http www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C PROGRA Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Yapta BHO - dfef- c - -aa - d - C Program Files Yapta YaptaOverlay dll O - BHO Yahoo IE Services Button - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C Program Files Yahoo Common yiesrvc dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO MYPOINTS - A A -BACC- D -CEC - A FD - C PROGRA mypoints mypoints dll O - BHO NAV Helper - A F D D-E - D -B A - BB FDD - c Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavSh... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/explorer-exe-not-showing-and-no-desktop-icons-or-start-menu.773035/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hey everybody Help needed here A couple of days ago I tried installing the new Windows Live Messenger which now turns out to be part of quot Microsoft Live Essentials quot group of programs Once installed I decided I don't like the program's new interface a chat program that is now trying to get a facebook style which is a horrible attitude from MS imo Once un-installed I discovered that every file type that had a specified symbol for it like pdf files have that red symbol MS Word have that blue thing all these are gone and are now reset to the default Windows unknown file symbol They still open by the way with the right program i e no quot open with quot Reader opens pdf Word opens docx etc Please help me MS reset Essentials after Uninstall File-type special icons get things back That's really annoying especially when I've done nothing special but just tried a new MS program Other than that I haven't installed un-installed anything else and didn't change anything with my system generally I'm running a Windows Home Edition bit OS Thanks in advance P S For what its worth I chose to install only Messenger in the Essentials installation

A:File-type special icons reset after MS Essentials Uninstall

Hello ggh78,

Rebuilding the icon cache may be able to fix this for you.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/166813-file-type-special-icons-reset-after-ms-essentials-uninstall.html
Relevancy 64.07%

When I go to save a file, for example, to my desktop, the icons do not show up in the dialog box for existing items in the location.  It happens sometimes too when uploading files.  How do I fix this?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490780/file-viewer-icons-not-showing-up/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi guys it looks like my computer has got a bad virus malware IE windows keep showing up with strange sites I get system errors several temp files in My Documents folder I can t delete and now icons created on Desktop pretending to be Windows Update but they point to strange sites computer extremely slow it s a Core Duo with GB RAM just to mention some of the problems Please please help The Hijackthis log is below Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system ibmpmsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS error, windows up, strange icons desktop... in IE showing system system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS IE windows showing up, system error, strange icons in desktop... system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C IE windows showing up, system error, strange icons in desktop... WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Arquivos de Programas ISS DesktopProtection blackd exe C Arquivos de programas Arquivos comuns Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Arquivos de programas Trend Micro OfficeScan Client ntrtscan exe C WINDOWS system PSIService exe C Arquivos de Programas ISS DesktopProtection RapApp exe C WINDOWS system tcpsvcs exe C Arquivos de programas Trend Micro OfficeScan Client tmlisten exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C Arquivos de Programas ISS DesktopProtection vpatch exe C Arquivos de programas Trend Micro OfficeScan Client OfcPfwSvc exe C Arquivos de programas Citrix ICA Client ssonsvr exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Arquivos de programas Analog Devices Core smax pnp exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C ARQUIV Lenovo PkgMgr HOTKEY TPHKMGR exe C Arquivos de programas Trend Micro OfficeScan Client Pccntmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Arquivos de programas Lenovo PkgMgr HOTKEY TPONSCR exe C Arquivos de programas Lenovo PkgMgr HOTKEY TpScrex exe C Arquivos de programas ISS DesktopProtection blackice exe C Arquivos de programas Trend Micro OfficeScan Client pccntupd exe C Arquivos de programas GbPlugin GbpSv exe C WINDOWS system aikrfrsw exe D Documents and Settings ctpb EP Meus documentos HiJackThis exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page amp http home microsoft com intl br access allinone asp O - HKLM Run SoundMAXPnP C Arquivos de programas Analog Devices Core smax pnp exe O - HKLM Run igfxtray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run igfxhkcmd C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run igfxpers C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe O - HKLM Run TPHOTKEY C ARQUIV Lenovo PkgMgr HOTKEY TPHKMGR exe O - HKLM Run PWRMGRTR rundll C ARQUIV ThinkPad UTILIT PWRMGRTR DLL PwrMgrBkGndMonitor O - HKLM Run BLOG rundll C ARQUIV ThinkPad UTILIT BatLogEx DLL StartBattLog O - HKLM Run OfficeScanNT Monitor quot C Arquivos de programas Trend Micro OfficeScan Client Pccntmon exe quot -HideWindow O - HKLM Run TkBellExe C Arquivos de programas Arquivos comuns Real Update OB realsched exe -osboot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Arquivos de programas QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run de e rundll exe quot C WINDOWS system eihpfdcb dll quot b O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run Stnn quot D DOCUME ctpb EP MEUSDO ICROSO regsvr exe quot -vt yazb O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User NETWORK SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe User SYSTEM O - HKUS DEFAULT Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe User Default user O - Global Startup Proventia Desktop Agent lnk O - Extra context menu item E amp xportar para o Microsoft Excel - res C ARQUIV MIC... Read more

A:IE windows showing up, system error, strange icons in desktop...

Welcome to TSG

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Download SDFix and save it to your desktop.
Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(this is the drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix). DO NOT use it just yet.

Reboot your computer in SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup [but before the Windows icon appears] press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Open the SDFix folder and double click RunThis.cmd to start the script.
Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
It will remove any Trojan Services or Registry Entries found then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
When the PC restarts, the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
Finally copy and paste the contents of the results file Report.txt in your next reply along with a new HijackThis log.

===============================

Download Combofix and save it to your desktop.

**Note: It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it will produce a report for you.
Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" along with a new HijackThis log for further review.
Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ie-windows-showing-up-system-error-strange-icons-in-desktop.663519/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have XP Home on my laptop.. I ran AVG and had many Virut viruses.. AVG cleaned/removed... When I went back to logon on I received the windows logon window. I entered name and PW and then it quickly flashed "loading personal settings" but then it said logging off and went back to the logon screen... This happened over and over.. It does the same in safe mode. I am unable to get into the program....

I then installed XP PRO in the same drive...did not partition. So now when I log on I have a choice between either home or pro but I cannot get into home and that is where most of my files are...

Can anybody help. I do have another PC

A:XP Home Windows Logon Closes Before Showing Desktop or Icons

If you are sure you are infected with the Virut virus I have some bad news. This taken from another post but you may want to go to the Am I infected forum and have someone read your scan just to be sure. It appears the only way to truly get rid of Virunt is to format and re-install. C:\WINDOWS\system32\reader_s.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Unloaded process successfully.Your System is infected with Virut!!Virut is a file infecting virus which is able to modify itself each and every time it runs. In addition, when it infects, sometimes it will destroy the file it tries to latch onto. For these reasons, you really can't truly fix Virut. You will need to format/reinstall the operating system on this machine.More information:http://free.avg.com/66558There are bugs in the viral code. When the virus produces infected files, it also creates non-functional files that also contain the virus.http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProf...aspx?key=143034W32/Virut.h is a polymorphic, entry point obscuring (EPO) file infector with IRC bot functionality. It can accept commands to download other malware on the compromised machine.It appends to the end of the last section of executable (PE) files an encrypted copy of its code. The decryptor is polymorphic and can be located either: Immediately before the encrypted code at the end of the last sectionAt the end of the code section of the infected host in 'slack-space' (assuming there is any)At the original entry point of the host (overwriting the original host code)Miekiemoes, one of our team members here and an MS-MVP, additionally has a blog post about Virut.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/221293/xp-home-windows-logon-closes-before-showing-desktop-or-icons/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi We have been having problems with our computer for a while We have Avast and it caught a virus the other day and the desktop isn't messed up anymore But just this morning when I got online to chat with a freind he was asking aobut the links we sent him last night I told him that we didn't send him any links and not to open them I checked the Archive messages on yahoo and the links weren't in there so I have no idea where to start Desktop Sending Icons Up Not Sites... Messnger To Right Showing Links On looking Any help would be appreciated Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows ME Win x MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS SYSTEM KERNEL DLLC WINDOWS SYSTEM MSGSRV EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM mmtask tskC WINDOWS SYSTEM MPREXE EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM MSTASK EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM SSDPSRV EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM STIMON EXEC PROGRAM FILES ALWIL SOFTWARE AVAST ASHSERV EXEC PROGRAM FILES ANTIVIR PERSONALEDITION CLASSIC SCHEDM EXEC WINDOWS EXPLORER EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE STMGR EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM RPCSS EXEC WINDOWS Messnger Sending Links To Sites... Icons On Desktop Not Showing Up Right TASKMON EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM SYSTRAY EXEC PROGRAM FILES NETROPA ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD MMKEYBD EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM HPSYSDRV EXEC PROGRAM FILES MOTIVE MOTMON EXEC WINDOWS OPTIONS CABS LOGITECH HP FINDER EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM WMIEXE EXEC PROGRAM FILES ADAPTEC DIRECTCD DIRECTCD EXEC PROGRAM FILES MYWEBSEARCH BAR BIN MWSOEMON EXEC PROGRAM FILES COMMON FILES REAL UPDATE OB REALSCHED EXEC PROGRAM FILES ALWIL SOFTWARE AVAST ASHWEBSV EXEC PROGRAM FILES ALWIL SOFTWARE AVAST ASHMAISV EXEC PROGRAM FILES ANTIVIR PERSONALEDITION CLASSIC AVGCTRL EXEC WINDOWS RunDLL exeC PROGRAM FILES MYSPACE IM MYSPACEIM EXEC PROGRAM FILES NETROPA ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD KEYBDMGR EXEC PROGRAM FILES NETROPA ONSCREEN DISPLAY OSD EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM PSTORES EXEC PROGRAM FILES NETROPA ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD MMUSBKB EXEC PROGRAM FILES YAHOO MESSENGER YMSGR TRAY EXEC PROGRAM FILES INTERNET EXPLORER IEXPLORE EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM DDHELP EXEC WINDOWS APPLICATION DATA HJT HIJACKTHIS HIJACKTHIS EXER - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Messnger Sending Links To Sites... Icons On Desktop Not Showing Up Right Search Bar http search hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http search hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http verizon yahoo comR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http verizon yahoo comR Messnger Sending Links To Sites... Icons On Desktop Not Showing Up Right - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http search hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http search hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http search hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http verizon yahoo comR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhostR - URLSearchHook no name - A FAF - E- cf- - F A D - C PROGRAM FILES MYWEBSEARCH SRCHASTT BIN MWSSRCAS DLLO - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C PROGRAM FILES YAHOO COMPANION INSTALLS CPN YT DLLO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C PROGRAM FILES ADOBE ACROBAT READER ACTIVEX ACROIEHELPER DLLO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - BHO mwsBar BHO - B EA -A - -B BB- DE CCA - C PROGRAM FILES MYWEBSEARCH BAR BIN MWSBAR DLLO - BHO MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - A FAF - E- cf- - F A D - C PROGRAM FILES MYWEBSEARCH SRCHASTT BIN MWSSRCAS DLLO - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSDXM OCXO - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C PROGRAM FILES YAHOO COMPANION INSTALLS CPN YT DLLO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c pro... Read more

A:Messnger Sending Links To Sites... Icons On Desktop Not Showing Up Right

Hi violetsparkle,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Sorry for the delay, the forums are very busy right now.

If you still need help, please run a fresh HijackThis scan and post the log to a reply here.

Dave

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/73495/messnger-sending-links-to-sites-icons-on-desktop-not-showing-up-right/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have XP Home on my laptop.. I ran AVG and had many Virut viruses.. AVG cleaned/removed... When I went back to logon on I received the windows logon window. I entered name and PW and then it quickly flashed "loading personal settings" but then it said logging off and went back to the logon screen... This happened over and over.. It does the same in safe mode. I am unable to get into the program....
I then installed XP PRO in the same drive...did not partition. So now when I log on I have a choice between either home or pro but I cannot get into home and that is where most of my files are...
Can anybody help. I do have another PC

Thank you
Ken

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-closes-after-windows-sign-on-w-o-showing-desktop-or-icons.820716/
Relevancy 63.21%

A few days ago I was watching a movie on my T V from my PC and i had received a few errors i stupidly ignored them and just canceled them while the movie was playing to finish the movie Anyways after the movie was finished almost of my desktop items were gone All that was left was the recycle bin and the My Computer Icon please. Start Showing Menu Desktop programs All Empty. Icons [SOLVED] help gone and internet explorer Also my quot all programs quot section [SOLVED] Start Menu All programs Showing Empty. Desktop Icons gone help please. in my quot start Menu quot were showing quot empty quot when i hovered the mouse over the programs I've ran Maleware bytes numerous times and IF i had a virus that caused this it's more then likely gone I have ran a program called unhide exe it fixed a few things but not even close to all of them I'm here in desperation i'm pretty well with computers to an extent I really dont wanna reformat my computer if i can avoid it My system restore also wont work I receive an error when i try and start it up I'm thinking i have a registry issue I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to registry problems Anyways thats it in a nutshell I run on a Windows XP SP Also i usually use a monitor for my computer i just hooked up the T V just for the movie Not sure if that was the issue either Also hope i'm in the right thread for this

A:[SOLVED] Start Menu All programs Showing Empty. Desktop Icons gone help please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamvgt

A few days ago I was watching a movie on my T.V from my PC and i had received a few errors i stupidly ignored them and just canceled them while the movie was playing to finish the movie. Anyways after the movie was finished almost 90% of my desktop items were gone. All that was left was the recycle bin and the My Computer Icon and internet explorer. Also my "all programs" section in my "start Menu" were showing "empty" when i hovered the mouse over the programs. I've ran Maleware bytes numerous times and IF i had a virus that caused this it's more then likely gone. I have ran a program called unhide.exe it fixed a few things but not even close to all of them. I'm here in desperation i'm pretty well with computers to an extent. I really dont wanna reformat my computer if i can avoid it. My system restore also wont work. I receive an error when i try and start it up. I'm thinking i have a registry issue. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to registry problems. Anyways thats it in a nutshell. I run on a Windows XP SP 2. (Also i usually use a monitor for my computer i just hooked up the T.V just for the movie. Not sure if that was the issue either), (Also hope i'm in the right thread for this)

Do you have any system restore points?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-start-menu-all-programs-showing-empty-desktop-icons-gone-help-please-598675.html
Relevancy 63.21%

For reason(s) unknown to me, when I now select "thumbnails" or "tiles" from the View menu of my video files listing page, I am no longer getting thumbnail pictures embedded on the individual video files, just icons depicting what format file it is such as WMV, MPEG, etc.

I'd truly appreciate it if someone could inform me of what I need to do to reinstate the thumbnail pictures instead of the icons (see attachment for demo screen clip of video file type icons). It would make sorting through the video files a whole lot easier again.

A:Solved: Icons with video file type abbrv appearing instead of thumbnail pictures in v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-icons-with-video-file-type-abbrv-appearing-instead-of-thumbnail-pictures-in-v.849007/
Relevancy 62.78%

I suddenly have had an overlay of two heads start showing up on some of my documents in various file types from Word docs to JPEGs and have no idea why? It only shows up on certain files with no rhyme or reason and I believe started after someone remoted into my laptop to try to fix a problem. I wonder if they selected an option to show a certain file characteristic or something that enabled that overlay? - I am wondering 1) what does this overlay mean 2) could it be indicative of a virus 3) does it affect my file security and 4) how so I remove it?Any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated. This has me really perplexed. Am running Windows Vista on that machine.--

A:Why is Double Head Overlay showing up on File Icons

Can't really image what you are seeing. Any chance of a screen shot please?Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/why-is-double-head-overlay-showing-up-on-file-icons/13808.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64, x64 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3069 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon Xpress 1250, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 114242 MB, Free - 34359 MB; D: Total - 114229 MB, Free - 114089 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Extensa 4420
Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014, Updated and Enabled

I am experiencing problems with lost or hidden files that show empty. I tried system restore but it would not complete. All of my desktop icons disappeared. Please help!

A:Lost my desktop icons and programs showing empty. System restore not completeing.

i have heard of a virus that hides this, but not sure about the restore not completing. i don't do viruses on this site, you may want to post this in the virus section. there is a setting where you can hide your icons, but this wouldn't explain the other symptoms.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-my-desktop-icons-and-programs-showing-empty-system-restore-not-completeing.1122655/
Relevancy 60.63%

I want to increase the type font display size globally, for all applications & windows features, but I want to preserve the smaller desktop icon size. Is there any way to adjust them independently?

I know about the advanced display settings for window color & appearance, and that has some good settings, but it is not sufficient, because it does not change most instances of text as it displays in applications.

Thanks for any suggestions.

A:Any way to change type size but NOT icon size?

Here's my whole list of font size change settings, one of which might provide the answer for you. You've probably tried some of them, but see if there's something here that might change the font size on those icons, without changing the size of the icons themselves:

1. This is the one of the main setting tools for setting various locations of Windows font sizes. Right-click on the Desktop and go to Personalize, Window Color and Appearance. Click on Advanced, and in the drop-down menu, select the item that controls the location where you wish to change the font size. (Note: the last one, Window, does not have an option to control font size.)

2. DPI - Right click on Desktop, Personalize, On Personalization Page, go to left column to: Adjust Font size ? DPI, DPI Scaling: Click on Large scale (120 DPI), and click Apply.

3. Screen Resolution: Right-click on the Desktop, choose Screen Resolution, click on the down-arrow at the end of the Resolution box, and pick the desired resolution. Check OK.

4. Display: Right-click on the Desktop, select Personalize, then Display. From the 3 settings: Small, Medium, Large, if screen defaults to Medium (125% size for font and images) and that?s too large, use Small for 100% size (aka ?normal?)

5. At the lower right hand corner of every IE web page, there?s a Zoom control that lets you increase the size of every web page, and it stays at that Zoom setting for every page until/unless you change it.

6. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, General, Accessibility, Select Ignore font sizes specified on web pages. Click OK, then Apply, then OK.

7. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, uncheck all three:
Reset text size to Medium for new windows and tabs, and
Reset text size to Medium while Zooming, and
Reset Zoom level to 100% for new windows and tabs

8. Open Internet Explorer, click the Page button, click Text Size, and then select the size you want i.e. Large (Largest may be too large).

9. Ease of Access Center ? Go to either: Control Panel, All Control Panel Items, Ease of Access Center, Make Your Computer Easier to Use, Explore All Settings, and click on: Make this computer easier to see (Optimize Visual Display). OR go to Control Panel, and Explore all settings. Under the following heading, Make things on the screen larger, select: Change the size of text + icons. This takes you to the dpi settings screen.

10. If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, use command/ctrl + your scroll on a web page to increase the font size.

11. MS Office apps have a Zoom slider at the lower right hand corner of every page, that lets you increase the size of every Office app page, and it stays at that Zoom setting until/unless you change it.

12. MS Word templates: In the Ribbon or QuickAccess Bar select Styles, Normal, and when the little arrow appears, select Modify. Under Formatting you can change the default font size (12) to whatever size you wish. At the bottom of the screen select Only in this documents OR New documents based on this template. Click OK. You can change this font size setting for any/all other MS Word templates as well.

13. In IE and FireFox (for current use ? not permanent): press Ctrl and the + key to increase screen size. To reduce screen size press Ctrl and the ? key. (To restore screen size to 100% press Ctrl and 0.)

14. FireFox (permanent setting): go to Tools, Options, Content, and on that screen set the new default text size that you wish. Then, click Advanced and there are additional default text size settings. Plus, in the box that says "Minimum text size" select None, and down below, UNcheck the box that says "allow pages to choose their own fonts instead of my selections above."

15. Magnifier ? To Magnify Entire Page: Start, Search pane, and type: magnifier. When it comes up click the plus (+) sign. The entire page will magnify. OR go to: Control Panel, All Control Panel Items, Ease ... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/138938-any-way-change-type-size-but-not-icon-size.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I moved two mp3 files to the desktop and neither one is showing on the desktop GUI. However, when I go into Win Explorer (desktop folder) both files are there. I have "show all files" checked.
Any help appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395375-file-moved-desktop-not-showing.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Okay I've never posted on anything like this before so bear with me please I've got an issue and Descriptions Icons Office Office & File Type 2010 Incorrect it's driving me nuts because I can't resolve it I'll try and give a description of what I did Any help would be greatly appreciated I purchased a new Dell computer Windows Home Premium bit that came with a trial version of Office I had previously purchased an Office Pro so I wanted to install the full version on my computer When I did I had both versions installed so I uninstalled the trial version That's when I think my problem arose but I can't say for sure that it didn't exist before Office 2010 Office File Type Descriptions & Icons Incorrect that because I hadn't even looked Here's the problem When I'm in Windows Explorer looking at my files my Office 2010 Office File Type Descriptions & Icons Incorrect Excel and Word files doc docx xls xlsx show up with an improper file type description Instead of saying quot Microsoft Word Document quot or quot Microsoft Excel - Worksheet quot or whatever they're supposed to say the simply say quot DOCX File quot or quot XLS File quot Not only that but the icons don't look right either They sort of look right but they're smaller Office 2010 Office File Type Descriptions & Icons Incorrect and sort of greyed out Except the docx icon is just a white page with lines object The strange thing is is that ALL my other Office files show up with correct descriptions and icons etc ppt pptx csv etc - ALL of them What I've tried to fix it I uninstalled all Office Products and then reinstalled Office I tried MS's little bug finder program that popped up on their website I've tried associating the Word files with WordPad and then back to Word It seems like there was more things I've tried but that is all I remember right now I've attached a screen shot of one of my folders so you can see what I mean If anyone has a similar problem or knows how to fix it please let me know Thanks I forgot to mention when I select any of the problem file types they still open in the correct default program without any prompting if that matters at all

A:Office 2010 Office File Type Descriptions & Icons Incorrect

Hi,

Welcome to SevenForums.

If you right-click on one of your Word documents and choose properties, does the icon look correct in that panel? Like this:

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/144230-office-2010-office-file-type-descriptions-icons-incorrect.html
Relevancy 58.05%

If a file is saved on the desktop it is often not possible to change the icon associated with it. For example a pdf file usually has an Adobe Acrobat Reader icon which cannot be changed. However it is possible to change the icon if the file is saved elsewhere, for example in the Documents folder, and a shortcut is created on the desktop. Right click on the shortcut icon, click properties, click the 'shortcut' tab and then click "change icon".

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/70083-how-change-file-icons-desktop.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Desktop Icons Change Everything To .Lnk Filewhen i open any file example mozilla firefox file all other files look like as mozilla firefox files

A:Desktop Icons Change Everything To .Lnk File

See here:http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...Try the EXE fix first. If that doesn't sort it try the LNK fix.Let us know what happens because malware can cause this. We ought to do at least some basic checks, even if the problem is fixed, because some could still be lurking around.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/security/desktop-icons-change-everything-to-lnk-file/40083.html