Windows Support Forum

UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen

Q: UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen

Hello So on my computer something strange happens when I uninstall UxStyle It Black Post-Windows Flashing Black Screen Update UxStyle has broken my Windows install once and it has done it again The UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen first time I kept on doing system restores to see what was the problem that made that black screen After trial and error I narrowed it down to UxStyle So I deleted Windows and installed Windows which is what I wanted in the first place Now I decided to triple-boot Windows with Vista and and it has succeeded I reinstalled UxStyle thinking it was just a problem with my old Windows install and then uninstalled it after a few days since I felt like the regular look was better I rebooted Windows and the same effect happened So I would like to know if I can get and replace those three patched DLLs with unpatched DLLs for Windows Could I just change the broken ones to have old next to them and then place the ones I get here there Also would sfc scannow work

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen

Hello lct01a, and welcome to Eight Forums.

A sfc /scannow will attempt to repair any modified or corrupted system files, so that would be a good first step.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/47244-uxstyle-black-flashing-post-windows-update-black-screen.html
Relevancy 107.93%

Hi fellas I have a Dell Dimension which stopped working three years ago It was running Windows XP with SP or - I can t remember for sure It has GB RAM and a MB ATI Radeon graphics card Whenever I boot up it goes straight to a black screen with a flashing cursor on the top left There is no Dell splash screen and no option to access the BIOS by tapping F This Dell has four indicator lights on the back to let a user know No Flashing Screen, Cursor, POST Black Screen if there is a problem The first three Black Screen, Flashing Cursor, No POST Screen lights are green and the fourth one in orange I looked this up on the manual and it says refer to technical support So far I have tried the following Removed optical drives to see if the machine would boot up without them - it didn t I am not confident enough to start taking parts off the motherboard just yet Booted up without any additional peripherals attached including mouse and keyboard Tried booting up from an old Windows XP install disc - that had no effect either So I am pretty much stumped as to what to do with this machine Doing a Google search others with the same problem have been unable to fix it I just want to know if it is worth the time to revive this machine or to let go Any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

I have an Acer aspire 5733-6607 with Intel Core i3 CPU 2.40GHz.

My mom was on it playing a game on the internet and stepped away to wash dishes when she came back it was on the black screen with the blinking cursor in the top left corner. I tried system repair disc, the recovery disc that it had me make when I first got the laptop and windows defeender offline nothing worked. I tried F8 and it goes to the black screen with acer and where I can press F2 or F12 and then back to screen with blinking cursor. I tried restoring default settings in the F2 menu also.

I was wondering if there was something someone knew that maybe I overlooked any help will be really appreciated thanks..

A:Windows 7 64 bit black screen with flashing cursor?

Unplug all USB devices from your laptop. Restart and see whether the blank screen problem remains.

It is possible that Windows refuses to boot with a USB device such as an external hard drive or a flash drive connected to your computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/246690-windows-7-64-bit-black-screen-flashing-cursor.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hello! I recently got a windows 10 ASUS laptop, and I tried to install this theme on it. After installing it, I went to personalization, and clicked on the theme. The screen started flashing black and light gray, I tried rebooting, but to no avail. It starts off with the normal loading screen, and after that a flickering black and grey screen, I am still able to move the mouse around but it doesn't help. If anyone has any information on how to fix this problem I would be very grateful.

Here is a video of my screen:

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/35697-windows-ten-screen-flashing-black-grey.html
Relevancy 96.75%

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. So, these are my problems described in the title. I cannot change desktop from black, only can set a picture as a background.

When I am in pictures folder for example, I see blank or black thumbnails.
When I right click and go to personalize, I can see black themes instead of actual pictures.

I tried almost everything.
- reinstalling video driver
- clearing thumbnail from disk cleanup
- resetting dwm.exe
- going into safemode and then restaring into normal windows
- I tried fixing shell by using "fixshell"
- clearing & repairing registry errors
- ran an error checker
- ran a file checker

I have Microsoft Office 2010 - I heard that it could be the issue, but maybe I am not right, anyway...

I attached a print screen photo.

And, I am hopeless, any help please? Thanks

A:Windows 7 black screen, black or blank thumbnails, and black desktop themes

I noticed you're not running Aero. Click on last item, left side - "Troubleshoot problems with transparency...."

Office 2010 should not be a factor here. Public pics folder is empty - it should have sample pics in it.

Validate your OS installation - Genuine Microsoft Software

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-black-screen-black-or-blank-thumbnails-and-black-desktop-themes-553925.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi I have this year old Lenovo Y config below The discrete graphic card has In WIN Screen Mode POST During , Screen Safe Even Black 7 Black probably fried a long time ago so last year when I did a clean install of Windows I had to disable ATI Card permanently in the device manager using safe mode Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode and used the Intel integrated card A few days ago I booted up windows only to encounter quot A disk read error has occurred press ctrl alt del to restart quot I tried to boot up using WIN install disc but soon after the Starting Windows logo the screen Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode turns black and I am left with a cursor in a black screen I tried to boot into Safe Mode but still I encountered a black screen with just the cursor I booted with Ubuntu live usb and was able to access all my partition and did back up and even formatted the Windows Partition I tried to boot using a WinPe and faced the Black screen with a cursor again I even reset BIOS to default changed Graphics Adapter from quot Discrete' to quot Switchable' and vice-versa but no effect at all When I boot up using Ubuntu and ran lspci grep VGA I can see both cards listed I even tried to boot up using Windows preview disk still I get a black screen after the Windows loading screen I can't afford to buy any laptop presently since I am currently at college so using Ubuntu for now Is ther any way to install Windows again Is it possible to get the ATI Card working properly- reballing reflow Any way to permanently disable the ATI card and get windows to boot up using the integrated chip Notebook Lenovo IdeaPad Y Processor Intel Core i M Graphics Adapter Switches B W Intel HD amp ATI Mobility Radeon HD

A:Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode

What other graphics adapter choices are available in BIOS setup? If you choose Switchable is there software on the Lenovo site for your model that's needed? Are you using the Display adapter software from there?

Have you tested your HD with the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by a full Disk Check on a single disk partition you create?

Then work through the steps for Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums including trying an alternate install method (disk><flash stick) with new media. These steps overcome almost all install failures, so you'll be reasonably sure the problem is hardware or BIOS settings if nothing works. But don't skip any steps.

Try Clean Install Windows 10 Technical Preview to see if there's any difference with a more modern OS install. It's already a very polished OS and worth testing this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351512-black-screen-during-win-7-post-black-screen-even-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 95.89%

i was customizing my desktop with Rainmeter and i wanted to know how to change my toolbar's color because i didnt want the blue, someone said to download Vistaglazz and repatch some files. after doing so my computer restarted and after the initial normal startup and it saying "Please wait..." like it usually does before it shows the login users, the screen went black, then for a split second the screen went pitch black, almost as if the computer turned off, then it would turn on again and go back to the normal "Please wait..." screen. this would be ok but its happening so fast and over and over again that i cant even hit f8 or Ctrl Alt Delete. im using a different computer because i literally cant log onto the other one. any ideas why its flashing?

A:Windows 8 Flashing Black Screen At Login Menu

gotta love 3rd party apps ,
a system restore to the day or time before this happened would be the best fix i think .
using a windows dvd boot to system restore option .option 7 in this tutorial
Startup Options Menu - Boot to in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/44865-windows-8-flashing-black-screen-login-menu.html
Relevancy 95.89%

I have a Windows desktop PC I built a few years ago which will no longer boot The BIOS splash screen displays and I cursor PC 10 Windows flashing - boot with screen black won't can access the BIOS by pressing Del at this point but after that there is no Windows loading screen as usual just a black screen with an underscore cursor character in the top left corner which flashes indefinitely I have left the machine in this state for over an hour and seen no progress While this black screen is shown I can press CTRL ALT DEL and the machine will reboot I can Windows 10 PC won't boot - black screen with flashing cursor also press the physical power button on the machine's case and it will turn Windows 10 PC won't boot - black screen with flashing cursor off immediately I have read around a bit online I've always worked in IT so Windows 10 PC won't boot - black screen with flashing cursor can usually solve my own problems and tried each of the following rebooting several times after trying each thing Mashing F and SHIFT F during boot to try and enter Advanced Startup Checking boot sequence in BIOS has the HDD as first boot device Manually forcing boot from the HDD through BIOS Removing all other boot devices from the boot sequence in BIOS Removing all connected peripherals USB dongles for Bluetooth keyboard and mouse even network cable Physically disconnecting other listed bootable devices internally where possible i e disconnecting power and data between motherboard and optical drive Resetting BIOS to default settings Nothing so far has made any difference and I cannot get the machine to boot I do not have another machine available which can take the HDD or a caddy to connect it to my Surface via USB so I cannot currently inspect the contents of the drive at all I also do not have any Windows installation media to try and boot from - I bought an OEM copy of Windows which I cannot find unfortunately when I bought built the machine and it was upgraded to Windows via the online download a few months back Other details MoBo MSI H MA-E B CPU Intel Core i s x PSU CoolerMaster RS- -PCAP-J W which came bundled with the CoolerMaster Elite case RAM Corsair GB x GB Dual Channel DDR Memory Kit CMV GX M A C What should my next steps be

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631919/windows-10-pc-wont-boot-black-screen-with-flashing-cursor/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello,

Hopefully I posted this in the right forum? Sorry, I'm kinda new to this...

So the log in page on my computer is not loading at all. There is no icon, no password, nothing, just the log in background screen. The screen also flashes a black screen really fast... When I put my computer to safe mode the same problem is there except the flashing occurs once every ~1 minute. Because of this problem I can't use my computer at all and I don't know what I should do next..

Computer:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Fujitsu Lifebook L Series

Also, yesterday night I turned off my computer to go to sleep, my computer was doing an automatic update so it was on for awhile while I slept.

Thanks guys!

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/385502-log-page-will-not-load-windows-7-flashing-black-screen.html
Relevancy 95.89%

I have a HP Envy that I got about a year ago, recently (yesterday) it has been not booting up. What happens is when I press the power button it loads up and goes past the hp loading screen, but when it gets the the first windows loading screen, it kinda flickers from that to a black screen, also the on screen keyboard will pop up and go down all the time. Really not sure why it is doing this, can't even get on my computer. One last thing, if I wait long enough it will pop up with an error saying "LogonUI.exe - Application Error. The exception Breakpoint. A breakpoint has been reached. (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FFD23A5C753. Click ok the terminate the program" if I click ok it just start flickering again or just goes to a black screen.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Windows-10-Not-booting-and-Flashing-black-loading-screen/td-p/5803076
Relevancy 95.89%

I have seen this topic posted many times in several forums but in reviewing the messages and responses none seem to apply Cursor Flashing Windows XP not - Screen, Boot Black will or resolve my situation I am posting this in Windows XP will not Boot - Black Screen, Flashing Cursor hopes of some fresh help I have a Dell Latitude D laptop era with GB IDE drive replaced about months ago running Win XP-Pro SP- One day I shut it down then the next day it wouldn t boot up No new hardware or software installed for ages perhaps other than Win amp McAfee updates The POST screen displays momentarily but then it goes black with an unmovable blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner I ve disconnected and unplugged all cables and peripherals to no avail Attempts to boot into safe mode with F key are fruitless as is Cntrl-Alt-Del key I can boot from CD via F enter BIOS set-up via F or run Dell diagnostics I ve booted from into Windows Recovery mode via the OP Disk CD and done repair and also invoked bootcfg rebuild command all to no avail black screen cursor still returns I can see no obvious command in Windows XP will not Boot - Black Screen, Flashing Cursor the BIOS that if changed might solve the problem One odd thing Windows XP will not Boot - Black Screen, Flashing Cursor however is that the hard disk capacity in the BIOS reads GB yet the capacity is GB If I had to guess it would almost seem like this is closer to what might ve been available free space on the disk as though the BIOS can t see a large portion of the disk yet when booting into recovery mode the operating system appears to be recognized on the C drive I cannot figure how to troubleshoot this however I m obviously trying to preserve and save my programs and data already on the disk I ran extensive diagnostic tests and all hardware passed all tests including the hard drive tests One exception was an error message indicating a failure of the NIC EEProm Test device Broadcom M Error code B all greek to me but seems to indicate a hardware failure in the networking circuit seemingly built into the motherboard So I spring for a new motherboard and replace it but when I boot up it indicates Invalid Configuration information amp Time-of-day not set and wants to run a set-up utility also no Dell service tag number not sure if that has any bearing The press F to continue route yields nothing but the press F to run set-up utility takes me back into the BIOS screens I reset the clock with the proper time then re-boot arrrggh - black screen with cursor again Same behaviors and actions as before I reboot into Dell diagnostics again and run extensive tests again this time no errors not even the NIC EEProm test error limited success I m thinking maybe the CMOS NVRAM data might be corrupt I check the CMOS battery weird Dell configuration but yrs old now it s rated at V and checks out at V seems okay Perhaps erroneous or corrupt information is acquired from the hard disk during boot-up and transferred into the CMOS data corrupting its addresses and stalling the boot-up I m lost unclear how to proceed from here Have I been attacked by a virus How do I troubleshoot and resolve this In checking some forums the problem seems somewhat common but others seem to have resolved it from Vista or Win- operating systems which probably have more robust recovery options Again trying to save my data if at all possible Can anyone help nbsp

Relevancy 92.45%

Good afternoon!

I'm in a strange problem.
My netbook's screen shows black during POST (Bios), and sometimes shows some white lines, like interferences.

If I start Windows 8.1 OS the problem persists.
If I run Ubuntu, I can see everything normally.

I looked over screen connection and touched it in order to check the wire is ok, but is the same.
If I connect an external VGA screen I can see everything right.

Years ago, I changed the screen because It brokes.
During last months, I could see lines in screen mostly during POST.

It could be a problem from screen, wires...?
The screen doesn't support some frecuences now?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

My netbook is a *NB520*.

A:NB520 - Black screen during POST and in Windows 8.1

I read the other post which you have created some time ago about the CPU upgrade.
Did you upgrade the CPU and if yes did this display issue appear before the CPU replacement?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?79783-NB520-Black-screen-during-POST-and-in-Windows-8-1
Relevancy 91.59%

My computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and after POST it goes to an all black screen with a _ in the top left.

This started with a blue screen after waking up from sleep. I have re installed windows 3 times now and it happens again after 2-3 days always the same after waking up. It will boot ant thing else i can think of from UBCD to Linux and the install CD. The install CD however will not run Start-up repair saying it is not the right version of windows even when i installed it 2 days ago with that exact CD. i"m normal very good with computer but this one has me stumped and i don't wish to re-install again as it takes quite some time as it is a rather unique setup.

Thank you for any help you can give
Bradley

A:Windows 7 Home Premium black screen after POST

Quote:
all black screen with a _ in the top left

That could be any number of things such as it trying to boot to an Optical drive that has a disc in it but is not bootable, has a USB drive plugged in or a printer with memory stick slots or USB port on it. Basically it's looking for boot files and can't find them, could be the HDD has gone bad.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348665-windows-7-home-premium-black-screen-after-post.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Was infected with a screen block virus yesterday (ukash) but was able to use safe mode to run AVG and MBAM to clear. Normal mode was accessible again and screen no longer blocked so ran MBAM again but kept sticking. Ran again overnight but now have black screen (no taskbar, no option to ctrl+alt+dlt). Safe mode was running normally until I followed advice to edit the drive names in regedit.exe as a solution. Since Safe Mode is also now a black screen so can run no diagnostic tools. Can ctrl+alt+dlt in safe mode, no other functionality.

I am running Windows 7 on a Sony Vaio laptop less than a year old. Came preinstalled with Windows. I have license key but not discs.

Help!!!!

A:Black screen - this copy of Windows is not genuine - post virus

Is the reinstall partition on the hard drive still intact?
Tapping F10 while booting should get you to the factory restore partition but you will lose all data(files and programs added since new) currently on the drive

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-post-virus-702743.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Every time I start windows, Windows loads, and then the screen will flash back. How can I get this to stop, or what is casuing it? HELP! Thanks.

A:Flashing Black Screen

What operating system are you running?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/flashing-black-screen.114351/
Relevancy 89.44%

Behavior:

Boot is fine, once OS loads and Login screen is displayed Screen flashes to black at ~1hz. Each flash resets mouse position to center-screen. This is an intermittent problem, seemed to be fixed then reoccurs, have run Avast boot and full scans, spybot search and destroy, and comodo premium scans, does not seem to be viral (although i have heard similar reports of these symptoms from other members of OMGPOP.com). Have no symptoms if running in safe-mode. Often symptoms dissipate after if spy-bot fixes all problems found while in safe-mode. I have not recently added any programs to my recollection, nor has there been any major updates that I can recall.

Current action:
checking history of all recent program updates, and or any seemingly unusual reports in system logs.

System description:

CPU:Q9300 Quadcore (dual fan direct to external exhaust)
Bios: Amer. Megatrends 0503
Ram: 4GB
GPU: GeForce9800 GT (factory OC version)

A:Black Flashing Screen

You might download Malware Bytes anti Malware Free version, give it a full run and see if it comes up with anything

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-flashing-screen.983453/
Relevancy 89.44%

I updated my laptop today and my screen started flashing black whenever I'm on an internet browser. I've used Chrome and Opera. My internet browsers are up to date as well.  I've tried restarting it, shutting it down then turning it back on after a few minutes, and updating my drivers then restarting it. It still flashes black for a few seconds. It's not happening as frequently since i've updated my drivers but I am unable to buy a new warranty and I don't know the cost of a cal with HP.  I'm using wifi.  I couldn't find any specific question like mine that was recent so I thought I'd try asking myself. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/black-flashing-screen/td-p/5749464
Relevancy 89.44%

I updated my laptop today and my screen started flashing black whenever I'm on an internet browser. I've used Chrome and Opera. My internet browsers are up to date as well.  I've tried restarting it, shutting it down then turning it back on after a few minutes, and updating my drivers then restarting it. It still flashes black for a few seconds. It's not happening as frequently since i've updated my drivers but I am unable to buy a new warranty and I don't know the cost of a cal with HP.  I'm using wifi. I have an HP Pavilion.  I couldn't find any specific question like mine that was recent so I thought I'd try asking myself. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/black-flashing-screen/td-p/5749462
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi everyone After leaving my pc on for an extended amount of time I notice my monitor flashing black You can hear the monitor click and then the image comes back a second later These are some observations I made -When the flashing occurs my cpu load shoots from idle to about - -Activity seems to stop just before the flash I know this because my cursor doesn t highlight items just before the flash and the cursor becomes a little sluggish -When I quickly play though my songlist in winamp repeatedly flashing black. Screen press next this encourages flashing -The flashing is unpredictable I can have the machine run for a week fine then it happens all of a sudden I reboot its still there I reboot a little later an it s gone -The temps inside my case are all normal and I don t believe anything is overheating -I also run ubuntu on the same machine and none of these problems are apparent -This started happening after I Screen flashing black. cleaned out my pc and upgraded the RAM with x of OCZ I tried without and the flashing hasn t happened yet Although this rarely ever happens anyway Is there a way of checking what s causing the problem ---- cpu p prescott mobo Intel pbl RAM x OCZ DDRII mhz x OCZ DDRII mhz hdd WD gb SATA Maxtor gb ATA Video ATI x PCI-e Sound Integrated into mobo Case Antec Sonata PSW W Antec I switched my video card to the ATI GT and the flashing no longers occurs nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-flashing-black.56654/
Relevancy 89.44%

I have recently run into a problem with certain games giving me a black flickering screen. The game is playable but it keeps flickering black every few seconds. It doesnt happen on all my games. I have an NVIDA Gforce 32MB card and 256mb RAM. I have Directx 8.1 installed (i've heard 9.0 has issues) The games that this is happening to are not graphically intense. For example it happens on Grand Theft Auto 1 and the game also runs slow. Also happens on Shogun:total war. But I can play games like return to castle wolfenstien without a problem. It doesnt appear to be an issue with the monitor b/c I can connect remotely and have the same problem. Any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem?

Thanx

A:Black Flashing Screen

Ok,
Well then I can reccommend a few things.
Check all your video card settings. Use guide here for help http://www.techspot.com/guides-hardware.shtml
Use a program such as NVMax to setup your video cards setting properly. Its a simple little program that allows you to change many settings easily. The tweak guide I mentioned explains what all the options do.
Theres always the chance its a problem with another program. It could be caused by a conflict with another program running. Go here for a useful program to copy a log of your StartUp: http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
Posting that log here might prove useful.
Also, you mentioned RtCW runs fine, your probably using OpenGL for it. Maybe OpenGL is running fine, but Direct3d isn't.
Go to RUN and type 'dxdiag' to bring up DirectX. Run the test and see if all is well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-flashing-screen.130162/
Relevancy 88.58%

Whenever i try to play certain games like Dungeon Siege 1 &2 and Independence war 2 the menu screen flashes black constantly...i tried disabling the hardware acceleration but that didnt change anything. Any ideas as to why it does this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-flashing-black-screen.608313/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi, i'm trying to fix someone comp. can't F8, after the toshiba logo, the black screen appear.I booted UBDC4win, went to command line to chkdsk/sfc snannow but couldn't. this is what i get : the disk structure is corrupted and unreadablethen, i booted hiren bootcd and opened gparted. I right clicked on the windows/boot and clicked information, this is what i get :Thanks

A:can't boot, black screen with "_" flashing

Test the hard drive. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working. The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.) Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:Download SeaTools for DOS ISO ImageThe downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO[/list] Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
Download and install ImgBurn.
Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.Choose Write image file to disc.
Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.Click

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable. Boot from the CD.(You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...Learn more about SeaTools for DOS. (view a 24 page pdf document)See the tutorial on the usage of SeaTools for DOS.Please let us know the results of the tests.When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.*** Please be aware that BleepingComputer.com rules forbid recommending the use HBCD because of copyright infringement concerns.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/455381/cant-boot-black-screen-with-flashing/
Relevancy 88.58%

For the past few days my computer goes crazy at random times each day. I've searched everywhere for other problems similar to mines with no success. I downloaded malwarebytes, scanned with zero threats found and the same with norton.  I recorded it as it was happening so you could get a better understanding of what was going on. I thought it was a remote viewer but it happens when the internet is diconnected also.

A:Annoying black flashing screen.. Need Help

Does it happen even if no program is open?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489328/annoying-black-flashing-screen-need-help/
Relevancy 88.58%

I have youtubed my face off and scanned these forums trying to find something comparable to what is going on- but all I can find are many people complaining of a flickering screen problem associated with likely underlying driver errors What is happening Screen Problem Black Flashing for me is the entire screen flashes between black whatever was Black Flashing Screen Problem on my screen before If I click the Black Flashing Screen Problem mouse or Black Flashing Screen Problem tap on the touch screen- it returns to the regular screen for a moment and then starts flashing again Sometimes this lasts for - minutes other times its - seconds This has been happening since upgrading to windows - and I thought it stopped after the November update but it has just started up again Twice now the quot flash attack quot has stopped by the entire computer shutting down completely accompanied by a tiny single pop or click sound The device is a Lenovo Yoga Pro I have read all the other quot black screen quot posts and not found anything similar Thanks for any advice as to how to troubleshoot this Update Today times now several minutes after separate rounds of black screen flashing while I'm working the screen on the left side gets a pixilated shadow and color gets off and the screen seems to scoot to the right or quick beats and then it returns to normal screen view

A:Black Flashing Screen Problem

I am seeing a similar black flashing screen problem on a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 3rd gen 20BSCT01WW.

This seems to have started after the Win 10 Threshold 2 update. My problem is so far limited to my primary (only) external monitor flashing to a black screen and returning a few seconds later. This only happens intermittently.
The Asus VX238H Display is connected via DVI out from a Lenovo OneLink Pro dock to the HDMI in of the monitor with a DVI to HDMI cable. I haven't experimented looking for the problem on the laptop screen itself since 99% of my use case is connected via dock to external monitors.

Below possibly worth investigating though the problem description is different. I definitely got a recent Synaptics driver update.

blackscreen after windows10 pro build 1511 update - Lenovo Community
I was able to isolate the cause of our black screen issues as the Synaptics driver for the touchpad. Uninstalling the Synaptics software instantly corrects our issue. Reinstalling it brings it back. I've tried the latest drivers from Lenovo (19.0.17.22) and the latest from Synaptics (19.0.19.1) and all produced the black screen.

Also found the below

ThinkPad Pro Dock, ThinkPad Ultra Dock, or ThinkPad OneLink Pro Dock - External Monitors

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/30591-black-flashing-screen-problem.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I have a HP G bit laptop that I have had for several years now running Vista Several months back we left and came home and the laptop was showing a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner Laptop worked fine before we left our house I have searched endlessly online trying to find a solution to no avail I screen HELP!! flashing Black cursor. had my brother look at it whom is better on computers then I am and he seemed to believe it was a hard drive issue I ordered a new hardrive which arrived last night I'm not sure how to even run what I need to to Black screen flashing cursor. HELP!! install the new HD with the black screen Or what to do to try and see if a fix is possible using my original hard drive I'm going in blind here and really need some step by step help on how to resolve this issue I just want my computer back up and running and have no idea what to do ALL HELP is greatly appreciated

A:Black screen flashing cursor. HELP!!

Originally Posted by ShanShan

I have a HP G60 64bit laptop that I have had for several years now running Vista . Several months back we left, and came home and the laptop was showing a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. (Laptop worked fine before we left our house)...

Hi ShanShan,

First of all I am No Expert (disclaimer) but may be I can be of some help.

If the laptop was working fine for years and then out of nowhere went berserk ... that is kind of odd ... but I suppose it can happen ... I am assuming you left the laptop "On" while you were gone ... if it was showing a Black Screen when you came back ... now you might have gotten a power surge of some sort ...

Or may be a Bios glitch which I read somewhere awhile ago ... so do the following ...

1) Remove the battery and disconnect the power cord from the Laptop.
2) Press the power button for a few Second (While Battery Out and Cord Off from the Laptop).
3) Connect the power cord First. Press the power button to start and THEN dock the battery.

Did this fix your problem ... if so, you are good to go ... if not then ...

1) Try to reboot into "Safe Mode" ... on my laptop when I restart it I Tap repeatedly on F8 key till the Safe Screen pops up ... then choose "Fix My PC" or "Repair My PC" the minimum option and let it do it's thing ...

If you got a Normal Start-up ... then you are good so far ...

So, do a Normal Restart ... and see if your laptop comes up Normal ... if so, you are out of Hot water ... if not repeat Step 1 till you get to Normal Windows ... then

2) Go to System Restore ... and see when was your Automatic System Restore Point ... Tick "SHOW Older Ones" too and see which one you want to Revert back to that date ...

Do a restart normal again, if fixed then you are good.

I added couple of Disk Check links below since your brother suspects a Hard Drive Issue ... run those to make sure your HD is OK ...

How to Check Your Hard Drive for Errors in Windows Vista - For Dummies

Check your hard disk for errors

The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7 or Vista

If none of these Solve your problem then probably you have to do a Clean "Recovery Startup" basically it will Clean wipe your laptop to Original Factory Setup ... I assume HP has a Recovery Partition ... like Partition D ... like in my Gateway ... it reinstalls Fresh from there ...

Post back your results.

G!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/302293-black-screen-flashing-cursor-help.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464825.html - Hamluis.HiI had exact same problem and done all the tests as well listed by the poster. I've have the mbr zip but cannot attach it to the reply - says Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file?ThanksAndrew

A:Black Screen, Flashing Cursor 2

@ AndrewSeExactly what is the name (the extension) of the file that you are trying to attach here?A file with a .zip extension can be attached here in the XP forum, so it should not be a problem, and you should not be receiving the "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" message when attempting to do that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/465359/black-screen-flashing-cursor-2/
Relevancy 88.58%

Machines were running fine until someone took out a power pole down the road.
When power resumed, powered my machines back up. 2 out of 3 did OK. The third goes immediately to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper corner.
Have already:
1 removed and reseated the power and data cables from the hard drive
2 removed and reseated the RAM modules
3 tried pressing every F key on the keyboard
4 Cntl-Alt-Delete doesn't work either
5 tried on another monitor.
Don't even get to Windows splash screen or able to get to Safe Mode.

Relevancy 88.58%

hey everyone
so my daughters computer..she got a virus or something that made her have to specify "open with" I used the acer recovery system and had it revert to a date a couple of weeks ago seemed great. it was online and everything seemed fine i then...downloaded spybot search and repair...took hours then had a result screen wich quickly turned of..then a flash of blue screen to quick to read..then to a black screen with flashing cursor NOT moveable...this now happens during start up and wont budge..i can get into the bios info using F2..tried restoring settings..nothing..changed boot drive to an external dvd drive installing recovery disks twice to no avail.....sorry its an acer aspire one netbook runing windows 7

A:black screen with flashing cursor

Hi michelletaylor, welcome to SevenForums !
This might seem silly but I have exactly the same problem with my laptop. I'm stuck at the page right after the manufacturer logo, the white line blinking page. One thing you can try is see if everything is alright in the BIOS settings by pressing F2 in the first page. You can also try pressing F12 or the key to access the boot options. Try to run a diagnostic scan. If it asks for an extended scan, say yes, it should take about 1h to complete and this might find problems. You can also try pressing F8 to access different options to boot your computer (like safe mode), but for me, it doesn't work. I would like to help you more but I have the same problem. Hope you'll be able to make it work and have a nice day. MrDub

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/184962-black-screen-flashing-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.58%

hello!  My Pavilion dv7 screen has gone black.  There are 2 lights flashing - one next to caps lock and the other between the end and page up keys on the upper right corner.  I've read the previous posts about doing a hard reset which I have performed with no change.  I've also hooked up an external monitor but am stil unable to see anything.  Unfortunately, my farm's  books are on this laptop and I need to bill out.  Any additional suggestions? thank you! Stacey

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Black-screen-and-flashing-lights/td-p/5653981
Relevancy 88.58%

hp ze4805wm notebook just shows a flashing dash on a black screen, then this message: Windows could not sta rt because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. What can I do to resolve this issue?

A:black screen with flashing dash

Hi jsharper,

Check this link out: Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting

Hope everything works out well for you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-with-flashing-dash-588935.html
Relevancy 88.58%

My xp pro compuer is turing off and going to a black screen with a flashing underscore. I am able to manually turn it off and back on again. This started two days ago and has down this four times total now. It seems to be happening sooner and sooner. we use this computer as a media server for extenders around the house. any ideas what is wrong? while on, I check the temperatures and the s.m.a.r.t. on the harddrives and everything is checking out ok. the cpu temp is a little high (50-60 C). But this cpu has always ran this hot.

A:black screen with flashing underscore

this thread was moved to a different forum. So I'm just bumping it to the top so people have a chance to read it. update on status is the computer turns to the black screen as mentioned before. it can't even get into windows completely now without doing it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-with-flashing-underscore-598131.html
Relevancy 88.58%

McAfee was saying that it had gotten rid of a trojan and that I had to restart. I restarted, but when my computer booted up again, I just got a black screen with the flashing underscore. I turn on the tower, then the monitor comes on. At that point I'm on the Dell logo screen where it has those F2 and F12 options. After a few seconds it just goes to that black screen. I've even tried doing that F8 thing for safe mode. Nothing happened. Is there any way to fix this? Any way to prevent it from happening again?

A:Black screen, flashing underscore

C'mon, guys... PLEASE, help me. I don't know what to do anymore. I tried startup repair, system restore and system image recovery. Please. I don't know what I'm doing or what I'm supposed to do. I just really, really need your help. I'm begging you guys here. There must be some sort of solution for this. I can't even reinstall windows because of some compatibility problem. I was going to try custom installation, but I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm not going to mess around with that. But can you please, please, please help me? I'm completely lost now.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/109251-black-screen-flashing-underscore.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I have an Acer Apire 5100. I have tried to set back to factory settings. The system began to restore ran to about 85% complete then shut down. The problem there was the system was booting up in XP and the laptop was purchased with Vista. Now the screen is black with the cursor flashing in tp left corner. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 88.58%

when starting up my laptop, after the hp logo appears for a couple seconds the screen goes black with a white flashing cursor on the top left corner. the only thing i can do is push escape to go to the start up menu. i've also tried going to the BIOS settings and changing the priority to hard drive. i tried pressing f8 to go enter safe mode, but nothing happens when i press f8 or any other f keys. please help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-flashing-cursor-hp-g50.1023723/
Relevancy 88.58%

I just recently upgraded my windows vista 32 bit to windows 7 32bit, i restarted my computer and now everytime i turn it on it goes through the opening screen which just says " acer" and gives option of f12:boot menu and del:enter setup. it is literally stuck at the black screen., doesnt get to desktop or login screen i tried pressing f8 but no list of safe modes and such. any other options?

A:Black screen and flashing underscore

Quote: Originally Posted by leminhh

I just recently upgraded my windows vista 32 bit to windows 7 32bit, i restarted my computer and now everytime i turn it on it goes through the opening screen which just says " acer" and gives option of f12:boot menu and del:enter setup. it is literally stuck at the black screen., doesnt get to desktop or login screen i tried pressing f8 but no list of safe modes and such. any other options?

Hi Leminhh! Insert your Windows 7 Disk and see if you get an option to boot from CD/DVD. If not go into BIOS (F12 at Acer screen) and look for Boot Order and put Optical Drive or CD Drive first. Then SAVE and reboot.

When you can boot into the Windows 7 DVD, follow these instructions to do a Startup Repair. Startup Repair

If it doesn't work first time, try it three times. If it still doesn't work, please post back with what happens.

ZeshanA

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/50434-black-screen-flashing-underscore.html
Relevancy 88.58%

It all started screen Black flashing with cursor when files amp Black screen with flashing cursor folders went missing they weren't in the recycle bin amp or in any other part of the system I then decided to do a system restore which was successful After a few hours I went to turn on my computer the dell logo comes up amp then goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top left side I turned it off amp on again the dell logo screen has an F amp F option I have clicked F amp carried out a PC diagnostics thorough test which passed so I assume the problem is the Windows operating system I do have a backup disk of my own which I created amp also an external backup drive unfortunately I'm not having much luck with these unless I'm not booting them right This is how I've done it - All other USB connections ie printer etc are disconnected except for monitor mouse keyboard amp external backup drive - I switch on computer dell logo comes up with F amp F option - I click on F which leads to a box asking me to 'Please select a boot device' the options are hard disk cd DVD rom USB hard disk diagnostics amp enter setup - I click USB hard disk which leads to the black screen with white text 'booting Linux' this then leads to the NTI Backup Now EZ box this asks me to press the restore button to begin restoring the computer amp also to select alternative restore point if needed - when I click restore it is carried out successfully but then when it restarts the black screen with flashing cursor reappears - I tried the F option which leads to a BIOS screen Black screen with flashing cursor amp tried booting from there amp changing the booting sequence order but it still leads to the NTI Backup Now EZ box asking me to restore

A:Black screen with flashing cursor

Welcome to the Forums Pam8

Do you have a windows 7 image which you created and stored on the external ?

Have you run a startup repair ?

Startup Repair

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/280031-black-screen-flashing-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.58%

was displaying disk boot failer the went to black screen with flashing curcer. like dos screen cant go any fauther will not type comands. this is all that appears now on start up. please help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-with-flashing-curcer-188380.html
Relevancy 88.58%

My laptop is flickering a black screen, or holds a black screen in place when high contrast videos and images are visible to large parts of the screen (or at least that's what I've gathered). Although I've found ways of working around this temporarily, it's not very sustainable. For the record, I've tried methods mentioned in many forums but haven't had much success. I would love for some advice please. Thank you so much in advance!

Windows 8.1
Dell Inspiron 17inch 5000 series
8gb ram
Intel i7 processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/64696-laptop-flashing-black-screen.html
Relevancy 88.58%

the monitor keeps flashing with a black screen, with intervals of about 5 s - 5 min. the pc has been working fine for several years, although it is a bit slow recently. it is mostly used for internet/emails.

-in windows safe mode, the same flashing occurs.
-there were some virus/malware, detected with avast/mbam. they have been removed, but monitor still keeps flashing
-when the monitor was connected to a laptop, there was no flashing at all, it run fine for some hours. so problem seems not the be the monitor?

i dont know much about the pc info:
*pc is about 3 years old.
*integrated intel motherboard/videocard
*win xp 3

A:monitor keeps flashing with a black screen

some more info:

motherboard P5GD1-VM
graphics Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
RAM 512 MB
CPU Pentium 4 630
win xp sp3

-the monitor has been connected properly
-in bios, the flashing does NOT occur.
-in safemode, the flashing does occur.
-the flashing starts when windows starts

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-keeps-flashing-with-a-black-screen.1094303/
Relevancy 88.58%

I encountered this problem two days ago while using my computer (hp pavilion elite) and it sht off on it's own. I tried to restart and it won't boot windows. Just a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top. I searched all over these forums and haven't found a solution that works. So far I have done a restore point, tried to reinstall windows from a recovery disk, I've used command prompt to Fix the boot record. Diagnostics says my hard drive is fine and I can see the newly installed windows 7 on my hard drive via the recovery disk boot. But when I try to boot from hard drive it still goes black. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Or if there is any fix possible. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A:Black screen with flashing underscore

try this

Computer Boots to Black Screen with Blinking Cursor | Computer Tips

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/242029-black-screen-flashing-underscore.html
Relevancy 88.58%

OK so i just installed win8 it seemed to be doing OK and then it did the first boot up and the screen was flashing all different colors well it gave me the first run tutorial which didn't seem to be working right i tried to reboot looked good then i got a flashing black and blue screen and now nothing... im going to try a reboot and some other things well i wate for a reply but im not grate at the software side of things so i thought id post here for some help thanks in advance!

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10618-flashing-black-blue-screen.html
Relevancy 88.58%

HI, I am getting flashing black boxes on my monitor, once one stayed in the same place for a few hours. I thought my monitor was going bad so I replaced it. as soon as I turned on the new monitor, just now. the black boxes showed up. I had a 3 yr old dell and XP.

is my computer going bad. I don't play games on this computer, it is a work computer.
thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/flashing-black-boxes-on-screen.1024046/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello.
As you can probably tell I'm facing a somewhat common problem in the world of Windows computers; when I turn my computer on, it goes to a black screen with a flashing underscore/cursor. At first I thought myq problem was that I accidentally left my external hard drive plugged in, so I immediately unplugged it and rebooted my computer, however the problem persisted. I have a Dell 530S running Windows Vista Home Basic. I've read about putting in your boot disks but unfortunately, I do not have one. Any ideas of how I can fix my problem? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

A:Black screen, flashing underscore

If you can, get into the computers bios and check the boot devices order. Make sure that the internal hard drive is the first boot device. Also make sure that the bios detects the internal hard drive. If you don't see it, the boot drive could be dying or corrupt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-flashing-underscore.184725/
Relevancy 88.58%

My computer had an update now it won't boot up.. I have input. Disconnected hardware and cleaned the dust out. Nothing seems to work.

A:black screen flashing underscore

I have an I buy power, windows 10 ,1tb hard drive I'll provide any other info I can

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-flashing-underscore.1169798/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello. When my dell inspirion 560 boots up it brings me to a black screen with a flashing underscore. It never lets windowd 7 boot up. I tried using a windows repair disc but I gets error 0X4001100200001012 and I Have no idea what that means. It happened when I woke up and saw I fell asleep with the computer on. When I tried movimg the mousr to take it off sleep mode I got not response. So I turned it off. Looking back it was probably a dumb mistake. Any ideas on how to fix? I really hope its not the hard drive..

A:black screen with flashing underscore

Which Windows repair disc did you use and what option did you select?

Start the PC and press F8 as soon as you see something on the screen, keep pressing F8 once per second until you see an alternate boot menu which should have the option to "Repair..."

Launch the Repair PC option and see if restoring a recovery point or performing startup repair will fix the issue.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-flashing-underscore-690101.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Help!!!!  I have a Dell Inspriron 537s, when I turn the computer on it goes to Dell screen the bar fills up and then it goes to a black screen with a white cursor and doesnt go past that.  I upgraded to Windows 10 about 6 months ago and everything has been fine with it.  I have looked online and there are a few things i have tried, press the windows button + p,  and nothing has worked.  Any suggestions????

A:Black screen with flashing cursor

What color is the power button and is it steady or blinking?
When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery? It's a CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery, ~$2.00

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19997335
Relevancy 87.29%

hey guys

well yesterday i turned off my pc came back to it turned it on it started up for 3 seconds then the screen went black with one white flashing dash at the top left

if i restart it it happens again. I changed my monitor and it still didint work so i know its my hard drive or something

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Starline

A:Screen goes black with one white flashing dash

anyone have any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-goes-black-with-one-white-flashing-dash.150375/
Relevancy 87.29%

For over a year, my ThinkPad S431 laptop has been flashing a black screen at random times, very hard to get work done or watch a movie when it is fully strobing.Recently, when I plug in my headphones, it sounds like it is under water, then 10 min. later, it works fine.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/ThinkPad-S431-Flashing-Black-Screen/td-p/3432571
Relevancy 87.29%

Hello I m currently writing this from another laptop I have a Gateway Netbook that runs on Windows starter The problem first arised when I went to access a tumblr blog that I usually visit but up flashing Black cursor with Screen during booting it was loading incredibly slow so I walked away from my computer a moment When I returned firefox had crashed and when I went to try and minimize the screen I saw that all of my desktop shortcuts were gone as well as from the startup menu I went to restore the firefox and noticed that the page was trying to redirect me to a malware site something biz and an account cnn in the url as well I immediately reacted by rebooting my laptop so that I could start up in safemode but what I got was just a completely black screen with a small flashing cursor Nothing else What I did next was burn the avira rescue program onto my usb flashdrive after reformatting it and I opened the bios menu so that I could boot up from my usb and use the program My netbook doesn t have a cd drive I ran the scan and it detected infected files as well as I believe alerts All of the files from my c drive are still there because avira scanned through them all and after it was done scanning I set it to try and repair the files and if it couldn t it would delete them I restarted the laptop removing the Black Screen during booting up with flashing cursor usb and having it boot up the way it should originally but I still have the black screen with the flashing cursor I m not sure what to do now Also I will mention that I just discovered my laptop was also infected by the google ads virus and that days ago or so I got a popup for a porn biz site ad or something I d appreciate your help thank you

A:Black Screen during booting up with flashing cursor

Are you able to boot into safe mode?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/425863/black-screen-during-booting-up-with-flashing-cursor/
Relevancy 87.29%

Hey everyone I ve been googling everywhere for a solution and searched through this forum Black at screen with flashing underscore startup without much luck I m hoping someone will know what s causing this I was cleaning out the dust in my computer today and accidentally tipped the case which sorta slammed to the floor onto its side The PC was on the floor to begin with so I didn t think too much of it So it just tipped over I thought Well After cleaning I started up the computer and the BIOS screen shows up with the eMachines logo Then comes a usual screen telling me quot Realtek blabla boot agent Press Shift-blabla to configure quot From this point the computer loads up a black screen with a flashing underscore on the top left corner and stops All the fans are working and the CDROM responds to Black screen with flashing underscore at startup the open close button When I first boot-up the computer the fans are working normally but then as the startup Black screen with flashing underscore at startup continues the noise dies down and the fans spin slower They are still spinning by the time the black screen shows up but they are slow enough so that you can barely make out the blades as they whirl Black screen with flashing underscore at startup I tried going into the BIOS and found that my harddrive was being displayed on a list so it s being detected right I ve checked all the wire connections and everything seems to be okay I ve tried switching the harddrive for another older one and the same thing happens Though I must admit I m not too sure if this older harddrive works One last symptom before the problem whenever I needed to turn off the computer I would have to keep pushing the power button for say five seconds Now I push it let go and the computer turns off just like that I have an OEM version of Windows XP home and I neglected to make any recovery disks so I haven t tried anything with startup disks My computer doesn t have a floppy drive either so I m kinda stranded If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it nbsp

A:Black screen with flashing underscore at startup

So it seems like it is getting stuck right before the windows splash/loading screen comes up? I dont think that the computer would have much damage from tipping it and accidently dropping it. I have done that sometimes but thats cause my computer is heavy as hell lol.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-with-flashing-underscore-at-startup.76223/
Relevancy 87.29%

I was playing my computer yesterday working fine My internet disconnected black at startup underscore Flashing screen on so after I checked my Ethernet cables I restarted my computer When it came back up all I got was a Flashing underscore on black screen at startup flashing underscore in top left on a black screen I did nothing to change my computer before or after this I had restarted it once before about an hour early when internet fell out again but this time it came up normally I looked at other websites and everyone else with this problem seemed to have had problems after installing drivers or something new nothing changed on mine When it boots it comes up to some blue screen and has Press F for Setup ESC for Boot Menu and F for System Recovery I can t go into safemode using F and System Recovery doesn t seem to be working Anyone have any ideas I am not very good with computers I usually google my problems I opened computer up and tried checking if anything was unplugged but couldn t really tell cause tons of unplugged cords I posted this on the wrong forum before sorry for re-doing it Tried to delete other but could not delete it nbsp

A:Flashing underscore on black screen at startup

I would first hit esc when your computer starts up and make sure that your boot order is correct.

That is that it is still trying to boot from your hard drive. If it is and you're getting that then I would pop in the Windows XP disk and see if it will start from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/flashing-underscore-on-black-screen-at-startup.823500/
Relevancy 87.29%

I have an Intel DG31PR with 1 GB memory and Windows XP Home. When I turn the computer on the Intel logo and BIOS 2 settings appear then the screen goes back with a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen . I have to reboot several times before I can login. How do I stop this from happening? I am a novice, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

A:Black screen with flashing cursor on boot

Hi, KayChase1.
Your problem sounds very unusual, but possibly related to your BIOS settings.
Have you tried entering the BIOS menu on boot, and checking that the first priority boot device is your main Hard-Drive, rather than a CD-ROM, etc...
It sounds to me like the computer is trying to boot from a location other than the disc where your OS is installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-flashing-cursor-on-boot.736839/
Relevancy 87.29%

hi there, i cant seem to start my laptop as the black screen and flashing underscore pops up. there are no options ( f1 f3 f12 ) anymore as the computer crashed why i was trying to recover using my recovery disc,
The laptop runs on vista and im now stuck for ideas.
Please help.
Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-on-start-up-with-flashing-underscore.158560/
Relevancy 87.29%

I'm sorry for the lack of any technical terms used to describe this but I'm a complete novice with computers.

I was watching a video when some warning messages popped up saying something like harmful stuffs trying to access your computer, then it restarted. Now it starts up, goes to the motherboard thing, goes past that then hits a black screen with a little white line flashing in the top left corner.

I've tried to use F8 to enter the safe mode start up but when I press F8 it comes up with

'PLEASE SELECT BOOT DEVICE

SATA:3M-STM3250318AS
CDROM:3S-TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S22'

I tried the SATA option twice, first time the white line vanished so it was just a black screen and then it restarted. Second time it just went back to the screen with the white flashing line.

Any help in sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

A:Black Screen with Flashing White Line

Hello, I'll move this topic to the malware removal forum.Try this please. You will need a USB drive.Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computerRun GETxPUD.exeA new folder will appear on the desktop.Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.batThe program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computerBoot the Sick computer with the CD you just burnedThe computer must be set to boot from the CDGently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CDFollow the promptsA Welcome to xPUD screen will appearPress FileExpand mntsda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDDsdb1 is likely your USBClick on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)Press Tool at the topChoose Open TerminalType the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Press EnterAfter it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.binRemove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/414879/black-screen-with-flashing-white-line/
Relevancy 87.29%

Nothing but Black screen (fan, leds work) after flashing the latest bios...

Is there anything I can do, or just new bios/motherboard can help? (I tried resting the battery, F8 key..) Thanks in advance

A:Black Screen after flashing the latest BIOS

I presume BIOS is screwed up. What you need is professional help with this so contact nearest service provider and ask for help.

By the way: check this forum using advanced search option. In the past I saw several interesting threads about BIOS recovering. I?m pretty sceptic about it but maybe you will be lucky and find solution.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?64503-Black-Screen-after-flashing-the-latest-BIOS
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi I have an older HP d SFF flashing after hdd cursor upgrade? Black screen with running WinXP I wanted to upgrade from the current Gb HDD to a new Black screen with flashing cursor after hdd upgrade? Gb and used the Seagate disk wizard powered by Acronis Black screen with flashing cursor after hdd upgrade? to clone the old drive to the new using an external case When I swap the disks and power on I get a message reporting the new disk size is Gb - save to BIOS yes Black screen with flashing cursor after hdd upgrade? then the HP logo screen and can access BIOS if I hit F fast enough but then the screen goes black except for a flashing cursor in the top left I am unable to type or do anything at that point except Ctrl Alt Del This is the same whether or not I go to the Bios it does the same thing on exiting BIOS Unfortunately I do not have the media for my legit XP installation as I didn t come with the machine when I bought it but I have the sticker with the code Is there anyway to get the new disk running without having to pay for a new copy of XP I had thought the cloning would get around this as the program says if the old disk was bootable the new one will be too The SFF case does not have room for two HDDs or I d just install it as a slave Thanks in anticipation I have solved many probs before by searching this great site but can t find this one nbsp

Relevancy 87.29%

I have a HP Envy Dv6. It was having problems overheating so i opened it up to clean the fan and air intake. I put it all back together and now I have a black screen. I can hear the hard drive spin but the fan only comes on sometimes. If i blow in the intake when the fans not running it starts to spin. The caps lock led is flashing constanly at a rate of 1 second, no pause, just 1 second intervals. Did i kill the fan or is the flashing telling something else. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Dv6-black-screen-and-flashing-caps-lock-Help-please/td-p/5720121
Relevancy 87.29%

Hello I am having problems with my Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows I had turned on my computer and the Dell logo came up and it went to a black screen with a flashing cursor I was told by dell that the computer has a virus which caused this problem They would not remove the virus unless I pay them for warranty extension Sorry that is Black Cursor With Flashing [SOLVED] Screen way too [SOLVED] Black Screen With Flashing Cursor steep for me I tried to do some of the following of what I had read from other websites Tapping the F button a few times at dell logo screen to get to safe mode to access system recovery and restore Didn't work I only have F and F functions at start screen Turning on and off the computer to get to safe mode Didn't work Removed the battery and pressed and held down the power button for seconds replace the battery and turn on the computer Didn't work At the Dell logo screen pressed F function key ran diagnostics and it reads hard drive failure First time the test said the hard drive pass but before it was normal So I don't know what happened here Under the same F function clicked on CD DVD drive nothing happened and it took me back to the black screen with flashing cursor Before this happened I went here the first time and it ran some kind of test So I don't know what happened here either I tried re installing Windows but nothing happened The black screen was still there I don't have system restore or recovery disk My question is is there anyway I can get my computer back to its normal state I am pretty sure this is something very simple to remove without paying a big chunk of money to have this fixed but I could be wrong Just frustrated Thank you all for your answers

A:[SOLVED] Black Screen With Flashing Cursor

Welcome kitten831.

You tried reinstalling Windows 7 but the problem persists?

If you have the disc (which by the sounds of it you do), I suggest you boot to that disc again and go to Recovery Options, once in there, choose Command Prompt. Enter chkdsk c: /r

Might take a while...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-black-screen-with-flashing-cursor-640881.html
Relevancy 87.29%

My Laptop http www dell com us en home notebooks inspiron- pd aspx refid inspiron- amp s dhs amp cs amp oid us en inspiron- -amd- Dell Inspiron Windows Started up my PC After the Dell Inspiron screen loads the screen goes back with a blinking cursor Flashing Screen to boots Black Cursor w/ int the top left corner Googling I ve tried Fn F or F pressing shift times and CTRL ALT DELETE to no avail I have not tried anything with BIOs settings and have not changed any system settings I ve started a thread a couple days ago regarding regular freezing during Dacebook YouTube games and I ve yet to find a solution Screen boots to Black w/ Flashing Cursor for that when this started The laptop s new Screen boots to Black w/ Flashing Cursor We haven t had it for a week I seriously someone Screen boots to Black w/ Flashing Cursor can help me fix this thing before we re forced to return exchange it I do have the Dell Drivers Utilities and a Windows Repair Disc but I m unsure if these will allow me to do a full wipe restore nbsp All input is welcome and appreciated

A:Screen boots to Black w/ Flashing Cursor

Did you try F8 to go into Safe Mode and see if Windows will load that way?

If so, and that does not work then I recommend that you contact Tech Support and discuss the issue with them.   They may be able to resolve it relatively quickly for you.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19326720
Relevancy 87.29%

Computer was running fine 2 days ago; now can't boot. Running XP Pro, but system goes right to a black screen with a flashing cursor. Can't get into bios.
Can't type anything...even tried holding down all different Function keys..I can hear the hard drive and fan...CONFUSED

Relevancy 87.29%

Hey all I stumbled across this forum site when I was looking for help with a problem I've been having on my desktop Vista machine I am running Vista Ultimate -bit Intel Core Duo E GHz overclocked to GHz NVidia GeForce GS GB of RAM video editing and photoshop Vista rates my computer's performance at Processor and Primary Hard Disk being the two - black flashing screen Vista with Ultimate Help lowest factors Every time I plug in or remove a USB device or a CD DVD my screen flashes black a few times It's not a huge deal because it comes up with properly recognizing the USB device or disk but it's really annoying I have tried the following fixes all drivers are up Help with black screen flashing - Vista Ultimate to date as per DriverMagician software disabled UAC control to stop switching to safe desktop disabled TMM changed power settings to high performance disabled file indexing Any others with this problem and or with different suggestions for Help with black screen flashing - Vista Ultimate what I might try to fix this Thanks

A:Help with black screen flashing - Vista Ultimate

Does it still happen if you force use of the base VGA driver (and reboot)?

BCDEDIT /SET VGA ON

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/225260-help-black-screen-flashing-vista-ultimate.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hello I need your help I'm stumped For the past few days now I am having an issue I am 'now' using Black/Static Flashing -- RE: stumped Sometimes I'm Getting A Screen?? Windows Professional -Bit I was using Windows Pro -Bit This issue is with both This is what is happening Approximately of the time random when I statup my desktop computer immediately after the Windows quot Windows RE: I'm stumped -- Getting Sometimes A Flashing Black/Static Screen?? Starting quot and animated Windows flag are finished but BEFORE the Windows Logon screen I am getting screens that are switching back and forth between a blank black screen with the pointer on it pointer and the animated loop curser used by Windows Vista and a blank screen with a so-called 'static' look on it with no curser at all The 'static' screen looks like the old days that when you changed the analog channel on a TV and there was no TV channel there you would get RE: I'm stumped -- Getting Sometimes A Flashing Black/Static Screen?? that black and white dotted static look The switching back and forth lasts about a half a second each very quick and finally ending up at the blank black screen with no curser pointer I look at the HD LED on my tower and RE: I'm stumped -- Getting Sometimes A Flashing Black/Static Screen?? it shows activity but my screen remains blank and black The compter never reboots or restarts on its own it just stays at the blank and black screen I have to manually reboot the system Most of the time on the second reboot I am able to get into my system successfully The other of the time When I am able to get logon into my system successfully after passing the quot Windows Starting quot screen the blank black screen may hang for up to seconds with the animated loop curser before I get to the Windows Logon screen successfully When this happens I never see the static screen and there is no flashing back and forth between these two screen as above From past experience going from the quot Windows Starting quot screen and the Windows Logon screen is only a very BRIEF half second of the typical blank black screen not up to seconds So there appears to be some issues happening at this percise momment each time when Windows is starting The only things I have done 'new' is update my BIOS from the ASUS motherboard factory version of to the LATEST online download of and installed more DIMM memory modules so I went from approx GB to approx GB NOTE The BIOS settings are all set to quot Auto quot in terms of the quot Advanced Settings quot so the system auto corrects for the added memory I contacted ASUS tech support and they told me it would adjust itself automatically nothing for me to do My desktop computer stats Operating System System Model Windows Professional x build Install Language English United States System Locale English United States Processor Main Circuit Board gigahertz Intel Core Quad Q kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache -bit ready Multi-core total Not hyper-threaded Board ASUSTeK Computer INC P Q Rev xx Bus Clock megahertz BIOS American Megatrends Inc Drives Total Physical Hard Drives Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H L ATA Device Optical drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H L ATA Device Optical drive quot format removeable media Floppy drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device Hard drive -- drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device Hard drive -- drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device Hard drive -- drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device Hard drive -- drive WDC WD JD- HBB ATA Device Hard drive GB -- drive SMART Status Healthy WDC WD AAKS- D B Hard drive GB -- drive rev C SMART Status Healthy Memory Modules Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Slot 'DIMM ' has MB Slot 'DIMM ' has MB Slot 'DIMM ' has MB Slot 'DIMM ' has MB Controllers Standard floppy disk controller ATA Channel Controller x ATA Channel Controller x Intel R ICH Family port Serial ATA Storage Controller - A Intel R ICH Family port ... Read more

A:RE: I'm stumped -- Getting Sometimes A Flashing Black/Static Screen??

I've seen this before, but it was after the machine had logged in and fully booted up at seemingly random times.

In my case, it was the graphics driver crashing because the graphics card stopped responding because the driver stopped responding (or so Windows thought).

There could be three things wrong here (in no particular order, and it could be a combination)

1. Graphics card is failing.
2. Graphics card is not getting enough CLEAN power from the power supply because of #3... (I don't see your PSU in your spec list you provided. What is it?)
3. Power Supply is failing.

Question: Does it do it in safe mode?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/138051-re-im-stumped-getting-sometimes-flashing-black-static-screen.html
Relevancy 87.29%

My screen is flashing black to a drum beat. I have tried safe mode and a complete scan. I have checked my cables. Windows XP

A:screen flashing black to a drum beat

Have you got another monitor or PC to try, just to narrow it down to one or the other?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-flashing-black-to-a-drum-beat.830404/
Relevancy 87.29%

My computers worked fine up until a few days ago. I was using it like normal and it abruptly BSODd on me with the error system_service_exception. Following the restart, the computer would not boot. It shows the logo but then doesn't boot. It is stuck at the black screen with the blinking cursor. I have tried repairing it with my windows 7 disk by checking start up and everything else available on the cd. All the tests say it should be fine. Also when i try to system restore it ends up failing. Can anyone give me any advice. Thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-blinking-flashing-cursor.1001548/
Relevancy 87.29%

Dell Inspiron Windows bit SSD months ago due to drop on floor damaging original HDD Was working yesterday Did update of important items did restart then left house Wife didn't use the laptop or turn it off Appeared to boot screen, Flashing hyphen, won't black be off this morning Push start button Dell logo appears F Setup F BootOptions appear lower right corner blue line advances as if starting doesn't make it all the way then screen goes black after seconds flashing hyphen remains constant in upper left corner External mouse arrow enter backspace buttons work in F Ctrl Alt Delete starts over Pushing F within seconds brings up black screen Flashing hyphen, black screen, won't boot with white text which offers boot device options Internal HDD - selection brings back flashing hyphen screen CD DVD CD-RW Drive - ditto blank space BIOS Setup - menu list items with sub items which open to right of screen many with options to click I haven't selected any to change Diagnostics - blue screen white text Ran diagnostics tests no diagnosis offered No change in symptoms

A:Flashing hyphen, black screen, won't boot

Remove the battery and power adapter, press the start button and hold it down for at least 30 seconds.

Replace the battery and power adapter, restart the computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632218/flashing-hyphen-black-screen-wont-boot/
Relevancy 87.29%

So I recently installed Windows X Yosemite transformation pack but didn't like it and had to uninstall After uninstall it told me to press ok to restart But when I restarted flashing screen with black Login cursor I couldn't see the logon screen I tried moving my mouse pad and it would show the cursor but dissapear once movement stops I've done some research Login screen black with flashing cursor and found this gt https support microsoft com en-gb kb I believe this relates exactly to my issue but the workaround did not work PLEASE HELP THIS IS REALLY URGENT Login screen black with flashing cursor D SYSTEM Windows gb ram Nvidia gt m gb ddr Intel i u cpu with Intel HD Asus vivobook s Login screen black with flashing cursor cm Same thing in safe mode I just see cursor appear and safe mode text in each corner When I try reset PC it says gt unable to reset your PC A required drive partition is missing System restore gt to use system restore you must specify which windows installation to restore Restart this computer select an operating system and then select system restore HELP PLEASE RLLY URGEN

A:Login screen black with flashing cursor

Hello,

You can use Startup Repair and the other tools on the System Recovery Options menu to attempt repairs or restore data from a backup

You can try to perform a startup repair, visit the link below to learn more:
How do I fix a boot (startup) problem?

What to do if Windows won't start correctly?

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/65433-login-screen-black-flashing-cursor.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hello,
I have a similar problem to this forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/487382/windows-7-frozen-black-screen-with-white-blinking-cursor/

I tried following some of the instructions that was given to this person but I think I need more personalized help to mine. I am not able to get the computer past that black screen. I do not have a Windows 7 disk but I was able to make a recovery disk from another computer. From there, I am able to get to the System Recovery window. The only thing I've tried to do is a System Restore but that doesn't seem to fix my problem.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. These malware viruses are awful.

A:Black Screen on Startup with Flashing Cursor

Hello br00kekrysiak I would like to welcome you to the Malware Removal section of the forum.Around here they call me Gringo and I will be glad to help you with your malware problems.Very Important --> Please read this post completely, I have spent my time to put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier, faster and smoother for both of us!Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the "Follow This Topic" Button, make sure that the "Receive notification" box is checked and that it is set to "Instantly" - This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.How to tell > 32 or 64 bitPlug the flashdrive into the infected PC.Enter System Recovery Options.To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:Restart the computer.As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.Select your user account an click Next.To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:Insert the installation disc.Restart your computer.If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.Click Repair your computer.Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.Select your user account and click Next.On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:Startup RepairSystem RestoreWindows Complete PC RestoreWindows Memory Diagnostic ToolCommand PromptSelect Command PromptIn the command window type in notepad and press Enter.The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.In the command window type e:\frst64.exe or e... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493745/black-screen-on-startup-with-flashing-cursor/
Relevancy 87.29%

Have an HP laptop G61-631NR Screen, lights HP Black flashing that shut down during a game on Facebook Upon reboot had an error message Researched message on HP s site found message was related to hard drive failure Purchased exact hard HP G61-631NR Black Screen, lights flashing drive again and replaced Tried recovering with disks purchased originally for laptop from HP and got message system recovery disk did not support this system Disk numbers did not match packaging HP sent new disks when inserted got message no bootable device found Contacted HP tech support was told to power on laptop and repeatedly hit the escape key Nothing happened just a black screen Was then told to unplug laptop pull battery and hold power button for seconds HP G61-631NR Black Screen, lights flashing then to power on and hit escape repeatedly again After this attempt the light beside the Caps Lock key and HP G61-631NR Black Screen, lights flashing the light beside the Altec Lansing Logo were flashing about once a second and still had black screen HP tech support then stated the motherboard was bad Now can t even get into the Bios I no longer have the original error message as I thought the new hard drive would fix the problem Just wondered if HP was correct and the motherboard was bad Have a HP desktop and was told by them it was the motherboard and it wasn t Laptop info Product WA UA ABA Serial CNF HK Model G - NR nbsp

A:HP G61-631NR Black Screen, lights flashing

Is it under warranty? If so, let them handle it.

Pretty much any fault with a laptop is a motherboard fault as everything is on the motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-g61-631nr-black-screen-lights-flashing.1138707/
Relevancy 87.29%

I have a Dell desktop computer with Vista installed. I bought it 2/2009. In July 2010, I went to get on the computer, and apparently it restarted for some reason but all I had was a black screen with a flashing cursor. I called Dell and they had me turn off the computer, unplug all external hardware plus the ether net cord. Then I unplugged the power cord from the back and pressed the power button for 10 seconds. Then I plugged the cord back in, powered it up, and it worked. The only problem is that every time it reboots, that is exactly what I have to do. Is there any way to fix this permanently???

A:After restart, black screen and flashing cursor...

holding the button down with no power is to discharge the energy on the main board and power supply, don't think it does anything else, is your system well grounded? if so then it could be a hardware problem, but Dell techs would know best

If you are brave and want to take a shot in the dark you could try a factory reset. On startup screen with the Dell logo , hold down Ctrl key, and at the same time tap F11 over and over. If you are quick then next screen will be a blue screen which will prompt you and ask if you wish to continue with factory reset. Click yes and continue ...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/after-restart-black-screen-and-flashing-cursor-515398.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I have since learnt my problem is OS related I have started another thread in OS section Can this be deleted Hello Apologies for the long post I hope this is in the right area and that someone might know what is wrong with my card I recently bought a PC from Zoostorm and I ve been happy with it so far as it s such an upgrade from the last one I had I was also pleased that it contained an ATI card as I d had a few problems with Nvidia in the past But recently things haven t been going so good and no matter how many searches I do I can t seem to find someone with the same problem as me I m running a and from what I ve Flashing Loss Screen and Black Cursor read on it it appears to be particularly buggy but I m praying somewhere out there is a solution It would be such a shame to have to change it as it s less than a month old I play a lot of WoW and I ve experienced two freezes I m not sure if the music is still playing as I never have it on anyway and I didn t think at the time to check if it was affected I couldn t tab out so had to reboot both times Cursor Loss and Flashing Black Screen Another problem I ve had appears to be connected to tabbing out of the game and may be set off by my character being AFK for a few minutes I ll suddenly discover my cursor has disappeared and I ll tab out hoping to correct the issue only to find my desktop has been replaced with a black screen but several menus can be seen opening and closing namely the start menu My tab bar will be at the top of the screen I can click on the start icon but nothing happens I ve only ever been able to ctrl alt del twice and have had to shut off WoW in the process screen All other times I ve had to reset my computer This problem has also occurred outside of WoW once I literally came back from the bathroom to find a black screen and have no idea what set it off I had come out of a game a while before but had been happily browing the web before the problem occurred I intially thought that it might be a heat problem as I remember an Nvidia card suffering some weird graphical glitches that were caused by heat but this doesn t seem to be the problem I downloaded a little vista gadget that monitors my card and have been watching it closely It never rises above C and I ve only ever seen its fan come on once I m at a loss at to what to do I do have a I could replace it with but I m guessing I d forfeit my warranty by replacing a part I ve tried updating drivers but everything seems to be fine and I m currently running Catalyst which I think is the latest If anyone has any idea or even if someone has experienced the same problem I d love to hear it Any help at all would be greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cursor-loss-and-flashing-black-screen.138089/
Relevancy 87.29%

my screen on my u41-70 laptop flashes black/white when moving the screen up and down (no problem while the screen is stable, but want to fix the problem before it gets really bad) Leif, Norway

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/u41-70-laptop-screen-flashing-white-black/td-p/3335919
Relevancy 87.29%

I ve browsed around various threads and screen, lights black keyboard flashing I still couldnt find an answer so I ll try my luck by asking My hp dv laptop does not boot up straight away all black screen, flashing keyboard lights that happens a blank screen awith flashing keyboard lights I can get it to start but only after repeatedly turning it on and off for an hour or two many wasted hours - - This all started as a minor issue where it would take about or restarts and then would proceed to boot up normally As time went on it grew increasingly longer so i looked around on various forums and I read a few problems people had with poorly applied thermal paste on heatsinks I bought some paste and disassembled my laptop to the mother board cleaned it out in the process the previous thermopaste had cemented and so I removed it and applied the new paste Once assembled the problem still remained I d appreciate any help as I don t have big mulah to spend on new laptops or expensive parts Thanks in advance nbsp

A:black screen, flashing keyboard lights

Error blink codes
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674#AbT0

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-flashing-keyboard-lights.1152283/
Relevancy 87.29%

I run Vipre updated daily Windows Security Essentials box of flashing death gray with screen Black and MalwareBytes monthly in an attempt to keep my system clean My Windows Update is current Recently my Black screen of death with flashing gray box local networking has slowed at random times and at times locked my system forcing a hard reboot I checked the network troubleshooter and no problems were reported I also checked for updated drives None Today I got a black box on the screen while I was downloading some software from SourceForge and it wouldn't go away It had a small gray flashing box cursor near the top left - almost like it was running a giant shell script across my whole screen - but it didn't look like the standard Windows command window This black box flashed at me a few times and so I immediately tried to get out of it - thinking I got some bad software that Vipre missed I got back to my desktop and noticed this black box was still running down in the running applications bar I right-clicked it to close it and it closed Later today when installing net I got the same thing black box flashing dozens of times until the install of net finished I really thought it would bring my system down it was flashing so fast black box then desktop on and on So I just ran a quick scan of MalwareBytes as administrator and no sign of anything hinky Vipre shows nothing in quarantine and no recent events So I'm wondering given the network problems and now oddness with the black flashing screen if I don't have a motherboard on the way out or something ugly invading my system Anyway I was hoping you would give me some peace and help me to figure out what's going on - if I have some stealthy malware or my PC is on the fritz Thanks for all you do Look forward to hearing from you

A:Black screen of death with flashing gray box

Could you post a screen shot so whe can investigate further?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508355/black-screen-of-death-with-flashing-gray-box/
Relevancy 87.29%

Just to give you some background I have experience with bios boot order and installing os However I am truly stumped this time Recently I've decided to revert Black Flashing boot on Underscore HELP screen, back to windows for various reasons so I loaded my windows ISO onto a usb and proceeded to boot from it All went perfectly up until I hit the part of install where you choose the drive to install the os to It HELP Black screen, Flashing Underscore on boot was showing that I couldn't install my os to my hdd I've ran into this problem before and decided to clean my hdd with cmd I ended HELP Black screen, Flashing Underscore on boot up accidentally cleaning both my hdd and my usb At this point I decided to recreate my bootable usb with my other computer running osx thinking that I could just boot from it and it would go smoothly When trying to boot from this usb I received a black screen with a HELP Black screen, Flashing Underscore on boot flashing underscore I know that the boot order is correct I've tried using multiple usbs isos and methods of creating the bootable usbs with no success I've tried using bootcamp terminal and other osx programs to make the usb bootable If anyone has an idea of how to fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-black-screen-flashing-underscore-on-boot-1092042.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hey everyone, I recently started having the black screen with the flashing cursor come up sometimes when I start my PC. I have narrowed it down as being my 3rd HDD (2TB WD) as the culprit, which I only use as media storage. It is not set as a boot device since windows is on my SSD and when I unplug the drive from my mobo, windows always starts up without any issue.

Basically my question is, is this just a case of a hard drive going bad? I ran chkdsk on all 3 drives and none of them had any issues and it is not fragmented or anything that I can tell, so I don't know. I have had this setup for a while now and about a month ago it started doing this. The screen doesn't always come up however, so I have no clue what the issue is.

Any help would be great, thanks.

A:Black screen with flashing cursor, caused by 3rd hdd?

Hello Hayman19,

Well, it seems you found the problem; however, the why may be a bit more difficult. So you can start off by running some additional diagnostics on that particular hard drive, check the smart data to see if there are any spin up timeouts, and possibly swap the SATA cables (with a known good cable), and if none of those work, you could try moving the HD to a different SATA port if available. Good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/32383-black-screen-flashing-cursor-caused-3rd-hdd.html
Relevancy 87.29%

HP G62 US-340, Black screen and flashing caps lock when i power it on, And some time it comes on like it should. I tried draining all power from unit to reset and that wasn't any help. Can you help me Please ?

Solved!
View Solution.

A:HP G62 US-340, Black screen and flashing caps lock

Hi @mikeyh25   Thank you for your query, I will do my best to help! I understand that when you start up your notebook you get a black display with no error messages,but you see the Caps Lock light flashing. Here is a link to assist you.  Computer does not start and the LEDs blink or the computer beeps.  Best of Luck!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-G62-US-340-Black-screen-and-flashing-caps-lock/td-p/4914672
Relevancy 87.29%

I have an HP Pavillion dv6000, running with Windows Vista Home Premium.

When I turn on the computer, the HP intro screen turns on but then immediately goes Black with a white flashing dash in the top left screen. I can not access F8, safe mode, etc. I can only access the basic set up menu.

I never received a restore, or a Windows XP disc. Ive come to terms with the fact that I will most likely would lose my files and am willing to do a restore, but I can not get onto the log on screen. Do i need to see a tech? Please be advised I am not tech savvy and just want to get back on to my computer

Any help/links/disc downloads would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 87.29%

Hi Having problems here First off I have a Dell Inspiron n system running Windows Home bit OK the other night I shut down my system and all seemed fine until next day I went to reboot and Cursor on up W/Flashing Black Screen boot got the normal Dell splash screen with both the Set Up F and Boot F options After the Dell screen finished it then went to load Windows but instead I got a Black Screen with Flashing Cursor Can't move cursor at all On the Dell screen I can access the Set Up F bios pages I can also access the Boot Options F Page What I can not gain Black Screen W/Flashing Cursor on boot up access to is the Restore F menus I did not Black Screen W/Flashing Cursor on boot up know to make any sort of boot disk or boot repair disk so I do not have either of these and I do not know of anyone who is using windos that could make me one to use Also Dell puts the rstore on the hard drive so onlyhave a MS Works CD and Black Screen W/Flashing Cursor on boot up a Drivers amp Utilities CD l ran the diagnostics utility but forgot to plug in my computer so when it was almost done the battery must have died so will redo the test later as tired tonight as been up half the night with this issue But for memory the first of the memories areas it was scanning tested fine Will post an update later today when Iget chance to run the whole thing again I know others have had this screen Is there a solution as have spent the last day or so googling it and seems very mixed results depending on the user and their own case with this black screen w cursor Some have said bad hard drive I HOPE NOT THE CASE FOR ME AT LEAST Some have said bad mother board Some have said virus or malware Some have referenced a software update both Microsofts and also specific computer companies So what can I do to get to my files at least to back them up that is providing the drive is OK I do know from the boot menu my hard drive is showing in the boot menus Does this mean that the drives OK but maybe a corrupted boot area or something Any help much appriciated

A:Black Screen W/Flashing Cursor on boot up

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

What you are experiencing can be hard to fix, but it could well be the hard drive has gone to the big computer in the sky.

This link may offer some insight, but I have to say it doesn't look promising.

Win7 won&#39;t boot, black screen with blinking cursor - Microsoft Answers

Have you contacted Dell to see if they can help?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/190146-black-screen-w-flashing-cursor-boot-up.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi, new to the forum.

I'm working on a dell inspiron 1525 for a friend. It came with vista but it was loaded with virus's. I formatted the hard drive and am now trying to install windows 7. The problem is that Everything that I am trying in just going straight to a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left corner. I have done some research on this problem but none of the comments were from new installs. Vista was working fine except for being slow so i'm not thinking anything hardware related.

I've tried booting from cd, flash drive....and its all doing the exact same thing.

Any help would be great. Thanks

A:Black screen with flashing cursor when booting W7

First run the Dell Diagnostics from boot to test the hardware: Dell Diagnostics Utility - How to Run the . If they run then I would try to keep the Dell OEM Diagnostics partition - at Step 7 of Clean Install Windows 7 delete all partitions but it. Recovery will no longer run after reinstall so delete it too.

Use the installer provided in Step 1 of Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 burned to DVD or written to flash stick using tool in Step 2. Unplug all other HD's and peripherals, Boot the installer by tapping the F12 key at boot to choose boot device. If you get a flashing cursor it is not booting the device.

If problem persists Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. (If an EFI BIOS you'll need to decide if you want UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS. If UEFI follow these special steps for Install, otherwise enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module to proceed with normal install.) Set DVD drive first to boot, HD second, set SATA controller to AHCI, Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into Windows 7 installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version here.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10, or enter System Recovery Options to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt. You are creating the partition here for the purpose of wiping the HD and marking Active which overcomes certain install failures.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/296261-black-screen-flashing-cursor-when-booting-w7.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi guys never had to post any questions about windows issues as I could find all my answers on the net Well not now I had to reinstall the whole machine from scratch because old HDD has been playing up This is what I did Imaged old faulty drive to 8.1 cursor with black gives screen Win Booting flashing new one - just because I needed Booting Win 8.1 gives black screen with flashing cursor some data out of it and the old one was very slow and freezing run the Booting Win 8.1 gives black screen with flashing cursor system with new imaged drive - Booting Win 8.1 gives black screen with flashing cursor all working except sometimes it was playing up so I decided to upgrade to another drive with Win from Win have plugged in new HDD to SATA port and the imaged drive to port SATA installed Win copied data over reinstalled applications and so on all working perfectly Now every time I boot up the machine I'm offered options if I want to boot to Win or Win No problem there Now I wanted to remove the imaged HDD from SATA port so I did - and here comes the problem All I get now is the black screen with flashing cursor in top left corner How is this possible Can anyone please help When I plug the second drive in all works as before I just have to remove the second drive How can I do this In the attached image you can see my drives from Win the Disk is the one I need to keep - that's a Win C Disk imaged HDD is the one with Win on it and needs to be removed Any help is much appreciated

Relevancy 87.29%

When I turn on my computer all I get is a black screen with the flashing cursor up in the left corner of the screen. Any ideas as to how to correct this? I have a Dell from he'll computer-- inspiron E1505 about 8 years old and just had windows 7 home edition installed on it

A:Black screen with flashing cursor in upper left corner of screen

Hey I just went through something very similar. I found that my SATA cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard had failed. I replaced it with a new SATA cable, and it booted right up. Try the cable first if you have one lying around, plus its a cheap solution. If you replace the cable and it still won't boot up, it might be your hard drive. Seeing as how your machine is that old, it could fail at any time.

Do you get anything on the screen when you turn it on?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-flashing-cursor-in-upper-left-corner-of-screen-602916.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I have seen this problem once before posted in a different forum on this site but it was corner top flashing Black Help: left at with line screen a problem someone had on a laptop and it was for Help: Black screen with flashing line at top left corner Windows XP I am using a desktop PC Windows - HP in a nutshell Anywho The Problem I was minding my own business listening to music and editing on a photoshop program when suddenly my computer shut off on me So thinking that I might have accidentally pressed the power button with my leg I restart it Only to get a black screen with a little white flashing line at the top left corner of my screen I've heard people say to try to load it in Safe Mode But I honestly don't know how to do that with Window's I'm at a bit of a loss really I've tried numerous things I'm close to giving up and so I'd really really REALLY appreciate any help given I have Help: Black screen with flashing line at top left corner a lot of files and etc on this thing and I really don't want to hear that there's nothing that can be done to retrieve them

A:Help: Black screen with flashing line at top left corner

Press F8 at boot time to get the mneu and choose safe mode.

Try connecting it up to a different monitor and see if the results are the same.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-black-screen-with-flashing-line-at-top-left-corner-626661.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Why when playing some games are there flashing squares that show up all over the sreen when playing some games.

Could this be caused by my video card.

Please help?

And do some of my games work and some don't even though my computer meets the requirements of the games.

System Specs are:

AMD Athlon 4 1.15 GHz
Windows XP pro
Power VR Kyro 64 MB video card AGP
512 MB RAM
DirectX 8.0
16.3 GB free out of a 40 GB hard drive
CD 32X max read
DVD RW 12x max read

A:Why are there flashing black squares on the screen when playing games?

it could be:-
Kyro drivers need updating
DirectX needs updating, to DX9.0b
WindowsXP needs reinstalling due to corrupt files

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-are-there-flashing-black-squares-on-the-screen-when-playing-games.268186/
Relevancy 86.43%

First off i would like to say thank you in advance for any help i can get with this issue Second my computer knowledge is limited so please be understanding of that Now the problem I purchased a Radeon hd card about months ago I replaced my nvidia card and and installed the amd drivers and everything worked great Two days ago i discovered that i had forgotten to delete the nvidia drivers from the old card I went into the control panal and deleted all of the is flashing when hd 6570 radeon Black installed. screen nvidia software everything still worked Black flashing screen when radeon hd 6570 is installed. until i restarted my computer Now I get a black flashing screen black to darker black with a cursor that flashes on and off every second or two the only way that my computer works now is by using the on board intel hd graphics chip As far as i can tell windows will not even boot up if the is in the tower if you need anymore info let me know please please please help me I'm going mad without my games

A:Black flashing screen when radeon hd 6570 is installed.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Do you still have the old Nvidia card to plug back in and see if it works. If it does, then try to remove and uninstall the drivers, power down, then put the AMD card back in and see if it works.

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/55791-black-flashing-screen-when-radeon-hd-6570-installed.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello Everyone,

My computer has a problem and when I turn it on, it loads to a black screen and then goes to a flashing underscore. I have tried using the F keys to boot in safe mode, but not even that works. The only thing it gives me is "Select from boot drives" and gives me three options. Floppy, Disc and HD. But still nothing works. Same flashing underscore.

System I have is: Win XP Pro, SP3, 32 Bit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Comp boots black screen, flashing underscore.

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/415036/comp-boots-black-screen-flashing-underscore/
Relevancy 86.43%

each time my asus n jq laptop boots i get a black screen with a flashing underscore that disappears after a second or so then windows home premium x boots and half of the time i get a random bsod the last one was video prt my laptop specs can be found here ASUS N Jq A Specs Core i QM GHz quot TFT - Laptops - CNET Reviews or so i think my laptop is n jq but at the bottem it of my laptop it says id A but i can't seem to find the specs on internet note i have run memtest passes no problems chdsk no problems scannow no problems i reinstalled pc run the pervx software you never know right i checked as flashing screen with black bsod underscore/random many drivers as i could i flash my bios with succes this problem has been bugging me for a few months now i have sent it back and they replaced my harddrive black screen with flashing underscore/random bsod and said it was fixed but well it isn't so i started to search myself and try things but now i really don't know what to do anymore i even googled almost everypiece of software on my pc if it could cause a bsod i do think the flashing underscores with the black screen have something to do with it also it's my first time posting a minidump so i don't know if i'm doing it right hopefully you can help me because this thing is killing me thanks and friendly greets

A:black screen with flashing underscore/random bsod

Quote: Originally Posted by mikevdw

each time my asus n61jq laptop boots i get a black screen with a flashing underscore that disappears after a second or so then windows 7 home premium x64 boots and half of the time i get a random bsod the last one was video.prt
my laptop specs can be found here ASUS N61Jq A1 Specs (Core i7 720QM 1.6 GHz, 16" TFT) - Laptops - CNET Reviews or so i think my laptop is n61jq but at the bottem it of my laptop it says id:A2 but i can't seem to find the specs on internet
note: i have run memtest86+ 12 passes (no problems), chdsk(no problems) , scannow (no problems), i reinstalled pc, run the pervx software ( you never know right)
i checked as many drivers as i could. i flash my bios with succes.
this problem has been bugging me for a few months now i have sent it back and they replaced my harddrive and said it was fixed but well it isn't so i started to search myself and try things but now i really don't know what to do anymore.
i even googled almost everypiece of software on my pc if it could cause a bsod .
i do think the flashing underscores with the black screen have something to do with it
also it's my first time posting a minidump so i don't know if i'm doing it right.
hopefully you can help me because this thing is killing me
thanks and friendly greets

Hard to diagnose from a single minidump but it appears to be an attempt by your vga driver to write to read only memory ( a no-no). I would reinstall both your video driver and dcheck to see if there is a newer BIOS to flash.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/161496-black-screen-flashing-underscore-random-bsod.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Got a HP Probook 450 G0 here, which is powering up with no screen display. No BIOS, no nothing. It isn't the backlight. You can hear fans spinning up, the Caps Lock key starts flashing, but nothing else happens. I've removed RTC/BIOS battery, nothing. Removed and swapped RAM, nothing. Plugged into TV with HDMI, nothing.  I'm starting to suspect it's something more complex - a motherboard problem, a BIOS problem, or a CPU problem. I seem to remember older HPs having Caps Lock blink codes for reporting issues, but I can't see any info about that for the ProBooks. Any ideas?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Probook-450-G0-Black-Screen-Caps-Lock-Flashing/td-p/5720516
Relevancy 86.43%

Im not native english speaker sry if u cant understand some parts Ill try my best to make my message clear so eventual will come easier This problem occurs for quite some time its rather calm since few weeks when I downloaded shitload G580 on black Screen randomly flashing Lenovo of new drivers and some other lenovo stuff but might be just coincedence Since this issue doesnt want to go away itself I Screen randomly flashing black on Lenovo G580 have to do something about it I can send it to Lenovo for free service anymore so Id like to ask some experts if theres something I can do to fix this issue Some info - occurs usually while typing or other stuff but few times my laptop literally went nuts and flashed black screens few times a sec no matter if i touched it or not - its not overheating i bought cooling pad and it didnt help much - can happen just after turning laptop on and not happen during h session Thank you in advance

A:Screen randomly flashing black on Lenovo G580

Work through these Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 which will uncover most problems. Report back results as there may be other steps indicated.

Why did you install all of these other drivers? Did you already have performance problems or just create them?

Do you have a System Restore point still available before this problem began?

What else have you installed? Please post back as screenshot of Control Panel's Programs and Features after maximizing the page, using the Snipping Tool from Start Menu: Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359904-screen-randomly-flashing-black-lenovo-g580.html
Relevancy 86.43%

My computer randomly crashed after I tried to open up itunes and now it is acting like a brand new computer that needs installation of an operating system. I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Before it crashed itunes  was giving me an errors something about system image. When I clicked on itunes the 3rd time it opened the program but then froze my computer. When I tried to close itunes I got windows saying end process and I tried clicking end process but the windows were frozen. After like 3 min of being frozen I got the blue screen. I didnt read what the blue sreen error was and restarted my computer.Now everytime I power it on it ask for boot device. I dont what to do, please help. I am new to this forum so sorry if i am retreading an old topic.

A:Computer crashed and has black screen w/ flashing underscore

You might try System Restore to a point prior. If that doesn't work open an elevated command prompt by typing cmd in search then right-click and

Run As Administrator and type sfc /scannow ( note space between 'c' and / ) and press enter. This will attempt to repair files if it can.

When it is done it will create a CBS log file. Then copy and paste: findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will create a sfcdetails.txt to desktop which will show any files it could not repair.

From there open an elevated command prompt again and type chkdsk /f and enter. Then run chkdsk /r and let it run.

You can also try these options: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500220/computer-crashed-and-has-black-screen-w-flashing-underscore/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi,

My PC Screen will keep on flashing(goes black) when I open my computer, when playing HD movies , playing games.. even if i give refresh..

i am facing same problem...
I have Asrock motherboard, inter P4 processor 2.80GHz speed.
my monitor is LG 18.5inch.
windows XP OS.
I checked almost al the tricks like...
my cable is correct..
I installed even monitor and VGA latest drivers...
I thought may be ram issue then I increased RAM 1GB to 2GB...
My C drive memory also full fry(more memory)...

Still same problem continued...

Please anybody know what may be the problem...

Plz give some solutions...

A:My PC Screen will keep on flashing(goes black) when I open my computer, when playing

Test the monitor on another PC. Then you will know if you have a faulty monitor or a PC issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-pc-screen-will-keep-on-flashing-goes-black-when-i-open-my-computer-when-playing.1080434/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello a week ago I had what I am now refering to as Major Disaster Number One When I turned on my Laptop it didn't boot had a black screen and made loud beeping noises This was eventually resolved by removing one of the memory cards as one of the slots was defective In the meantime I had done quite a lot of fiddling with the system The PC had been working fine for a whole week until Major Disaster Number Two happened today This time thankfully no loud - lights! black screen not Help system booting flashing beeping but black screen and flashing num caps locks twice According to the HP website flashes indicates a BIOS problem I did what was recommended and took battery out and pressed power button for a minute Tried this several times in different combinations but with no success Tried reconnecting hard drive and swapping memory around again Actually something I should mention is that when I first turned it on Help - system not booting black screen flashing lights! today it came up with a white screen totally white and after waiting a minute I impatiently turned the computer off at which point it refused to turn on again I have looked on various forums including this one but don't know what the PC terminology quot post quot and quot flash quot mean with reference to boot up and bios Thanks in advance for your help EDIT Btw some info about my system I just read about how to ask for help I have a HP Laptop DV - nr running Vista Home Premium Something about my computer experience About years ago I worked with computers extensively during the Windows era and beyond fixing rebuilding and providing technical support But since I have not been working with them and things have moved on a bit

A:Help - system not booting black screen flashing lights!

Welcome to Vista Forums MrMoggins.

Is your laptop still under warranty?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261767-help-system-not-booting-black-screen-flashing-lights.html