Windows Support Forum

How do you delete the Modern UI App cache in Windows 8.1?

Q: How do you delete the Modern UI App cache in Windows 8.1?

I want to delete the app cache in my Modern UI apps. How is this done? I've tried clearing the store cache but I don't think that's the same thing.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How do you delete the Modern UI App cache in Windows 8.1?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How do you delete the Modern UI App cache in Windows 8.1?

Hello Lucidgreen,

Do you mean either one of these?

Apps - Clear Personal Info from Live Tiles in Windows 8

App History - Delete Usage History in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/46373-how-do-you-delete-modern-ui-app-cache-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi,

I have this persistent driver install issue that this thread USB Driver - General Fix for Problems - Windows 7 Help Forums very much looks like it will solve.

Mine started when a perfectly working USB camera suddenly stopped, presumably after a MS update of unknown origin. .
However, despite various searches, i can't find how to delete the driver cache on WIndows 10.

Any time I try and install a driver, it says it found the driver but then can't find the files specified. Deleting the Cache has been a resolution for many WIndows 7 users.

Any pointers appreciated, please.

A:Windows 10 has no INFCACHE.1 - How do I delete the driver cache?

You could try pnputil -e > C:\Drivers.txt from an elevated command prompt.

Then open the C:\Drivers.txt file and you'll see something like this
Code:
Published name : oem15.inf
Driver package provider : Apple Inc.
Class : Human Interface Devices
Driver date and version : 10/29/2011 5.0.0.0
Signer name : Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Published name : oem25.inf
Driver package provider : Broadcom Corporation
Class : System devices
Driver date and version : 01/10/2014 1.0.0.256

Published name : oem54.inf
Driver package provider : Intel
Class : System devices
Driver date and version : 07/07/2015 11.0.0.1157
Find the one you don't want and uninstall it with pnputil -d oem99.inf replacing the 99 with the number found in the .txt file.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/55120-windows-10-has-no-infcache-1-how-do-i-delete-driver-cache.html
Relevancy 61.49%

i have this running in my computer running in ie but i have tried many thinks and i need some help

A:C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\core.cache.dsk . . . . failed to delete

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-windows-system32-drivers-core-cache-dsk-failed-to-delete.677699/
Relevancy 55.04%

I modified my webpage and was able to see the change in Firefox but IE 10 keeps showing me the old page. I deleted the history using Internet Options, Safety, and F12 developer tools. No Joy. I also ran CCCleaner with the same lack of results. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

A:IE 10 cache delete

You might say which settings in delete browser history you selected to be deleted ?
Usually the very top box retains info to load faster/ Uncheck it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/311524-ie-10-cache-delete.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello! I have done everything I know to remove core.cache.dsk. 3 programs detect the file and try to remove it, but when the computer reboots it shows up again. I tried searching for core.sys in the registry and tried to erase core.cache.dsk on Safe mode. Still the file is restored everytime I reboot. I even tried changing the file to read only but what ever service is restoring the file it overwrites. I am almost at my limit and already thinking about reinstalling the Operating system. Any help will be appreciated, as I ran out of commercial programs to try to solve this problem.

A:Help Can't delete core.cache.dsk

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:16:24 AM, on 3/17/2008
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareDetector\SDService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\gh676rgfe4rdfjnh.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.animeondvd.com/
O2 - BHO: BitComet ClickCapture - {39F7E362-828A-4B5A-BCAF-5B79BFDFEA60} - C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {56CBE5B2-1430-49C7-8A7A-0B9E0C2FF17F} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTraySD] C:\Program Files\SpywareDetector\SDSystemTray.exe -AUTO
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrueImageMonitor.exe] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AcronisTimounterMonitor] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SDAutoLiveupdate] C:\Program Files\SpywareDetector\LiveUpdateSD.exe -AUTO
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IESet] IExplorer.dll .dbt
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [IESet] IExplorer.dll .dbt
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IESet] IExplorer.dll .dbt
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_04\bin\npjpi141_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_04\bin\npjpi141_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra �... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-cant-delete-core-cache-dsk.694208/
Relevancy 54.61%

this is gettin annoying here are some logs and thanks in advance PS i meant core cache dsk Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows can't delete core.cache.sys XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System can't delete core.cache.sys smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exe C Program Files ESET ESET NOD Antivirus ekrn exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe can't delete core.cache.sys C Program Files Alcohol Soft Alcohol StarWind StarWindServiceAE exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C Program Files ESET ESET NOD Antivirus egui exe C Program Files Java jre bin can't delete core.cache.sys jusched exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system notepad exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C Program Files Opera Opera exe C Program Files uTorrent uTorrent exe C Program Files HiJackThis HijackThis exe O - BHO btorbit com - B - B - -B F -F B EFC - C Program Files Orbitdownloader orbitcth dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - HKLM Run egui quot C Program Files ESET ESET NOD Antivirus egui exe quot hide waitservice O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User NETWORK SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User SYSTEM O - HKUS DEFAULT Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system CTFMON EXE User Default user O - Extra context menu item amp Download by Orbit - res C Program Files Orbitdownloader orbitmxt dll O - Extra context menu item amp Grab video by Orbit - res C Program Files Orbitdownloader orbitmxt dll O - Extra context menu item Do amp wnload selected by Orbit - res C Program Files Orbitdownloader orbitmxt dll O - Extra context menu item Down amp load all by Orbit - res C Program Files Orbitdownloader orbitmxt dll O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button no name - d f - f - d - - c a - C WINDOWS bdoscandel exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v - d f - f - d - - c a - C WINDOWS bdoscandel exe O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS Office REFIEBAR DLL O - Extra button no name - DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Spybot - Search amp Destroy Configuration - DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra Tools menuitem xpsp res dll - - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Trusted Zone http download windowsupdate com O - Trusted Zone http windowsupdate com O - DPF D DDB -BDF - B- E E-D F EE BDSCANONLINE Control - http download bitdefender com resources scan oscan cab O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip B BA-CA - - F -D C DE NameServer O - Winlogon Notify Antiwpa - C WINDOWS SYSTEM antiwpa dll O - Service Ad-Aware Service aawser... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-delete-core-cache-sys.677160/
Relevancy 54.61%

this thing is killing me...please help..new to this forum...desperate to avoid reinstalling my compuer.

Thanks,

A:Can Not Delete Core.cache.dsk.

Please follow these instructions:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/17258/how-to-remove-the-smitfraud-generic-zlob-quicknavigate-virtual-maid/When you are done, Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner.Hold down your "Shift" key and click on this link: Kaspersky WebScanner, to open the Kaspersky WebScanner in a new window.Click on "Kaspersky Online Scanner".You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files.Once the files have been downloaded click on "NEXT".Now click on "Scan Settings".In the scan settings make that the following are selected:Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
Extended (if available otherwise Standard)Scan Options:
Scan Archives
Scan Mail BasesClick OK.Under select a target to scan, select "My Computer".This will program will start and scan your system.The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.Upon completion, click on the "Save as Text" button.Save the file to your desktop.Copy and paste that information in your next post.Billy3

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136335/can-not-delete-corecachedsk/
Relevancy 54.61%

Starting a few days ago whenever I browse Core.cache.dsk Delete Can't using Internet Explorer I keep getting popups My subscription to NAV expired about a week ago and about days passed before I installed NAV During this time I used my computer I also have Zone Alarm Pro which functioned during that time I did some searching on Can't Delete Core.cache.dsk the net and discovered that my problem is linked to the file C Windows system drivers core cache dsk I ran SpyBot which found the file and supposedly deleted it but it and the popups reappear when I reboot I tried to manually delete it but got a message saying that I don't have access to it because it is being used I also ran Webroot Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor No luck Before posting the HijackThis log I followed all the steps provided by bleepingcomputer in preparation Some of those scans took over an hour Whew Anyway here is the log I would really appreciate any help in getting rid of this garbage Thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Common Files Acronis Schedule schedul exeC Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate AluSchedulerSvc exeC Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC WINDOWS system nvsvc exeC Program Files Raxco PerfectDisk PDAgent exeC Program Files Photodex ProShowProducer ScsiAccess exeC WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exeC Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exeC Program Files Raxco PerfectDisk PDEngine exeC Program Files Common Files Acronis Schedule schedhlp exeC Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exeC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exeC Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexingService exeC Program Files Common Files Macrovision Shared FLEXnet Publisher FNPLicensingService exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exeC Program Files uTorrent uTorrent exeC WINDOWS explorer exeC Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXEC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO dsWebAllowBHO Class - F D C- - F-A - E BD E - C Program Files Windows Desktop Search dsWebAllow dllO - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdsg dllO - BHO Symantec Intrusion Prevention - D EC - AAE- -AEEE-F F C - C PROGRA COMMON SYMANT IDS IPSBHO dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dllO - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdpb dllO - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dllO - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon quot RUNDLL EXE quot C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartupO - HKLM Run Acronis Scheduler Service quot C Program Files Common Files Acronis Schedule schedhlp exe quot O - HKLM Run nwiz quot nwiz exe quot installO - HKLM Run ZoneAlarm Client quot C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe quot O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck quot C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NeroCheck exe quot O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run osCheck quot... Read more

A:Can't Delete Core.cache.dsk

Hello Jackpine,Welcome to Bleeping Computer I need for you to go offline completely and disable ALL your protective programs after you download ComboFix, but before you run it. Sometimes those programs interfere with it, and we don't want that! 1. Download this file - combofix.exe http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe2. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.3. When finished, it will produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply please, along with a new HijackThis log.Note:Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall.Thanks,tea

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131881/cant-delete-corecachedsk/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,
I just signed here today and I'm desperate for help. I have a core.cache.dsk in my Windows folder and spyware doctor, McAfee or Spybot-search & destroy can't delete it. I tried to play smart and I deleted some other folders and I think I mess up something else because now my Spyware doctor doesn't even start.
Please help! My computer is a Compaq laptop and the operating system is Windows XP.

A:Help please! I can't delete core.cache.dsk

Hi, Newby2.

Welcome to TSG.

Click here to download HJTInstall.exe

Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
Click on Install.
It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-please-i-cant-delete-core-cache-dsk.676600/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello I have tried multiple Spyware removals and Smitfraud removals to try and get rid of Core cache dsk and none of them Core.cache.dsk Delete Won't removed it I still get popups with Core.cache.dsk Won't Delete IE and occasionally firefox Here's the HijackThis Log Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files DesktopAuthority DaMaint exeC WINDOWS system EmbargoSvc exeC WINDOWS System inetsrv inetinfo exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC Program Files Trend Micro OfficeScan Client ntrtscan exeC WINDOWS System nvsvc exeC WINDOWS System svchost exec windows system slclient exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files VMware VMware Workstation vmware-authd exeC Program Files Common Files VMware VMware Virtual Image Editing vmount exeC WINDOWS system vmnat exeC WINDOWS system SearchIndexer exeC Program Files Exchsrvr bin exmgmt exeC Program Files Trend Micro OfficeScan Client tmlisten exeC WINDOWS system vmnetdhcp exeC WINDOWS TEMP DW E EXEC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Trend Micro OfficeScan Client CNTAoSMgr exeC Program Files DesktopAuthority DesktopAuthority exeC WINDOWS system slagent exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC Program Files RightFax FaxCtrl exeC Program Files Canon Electronics DR C TrkMonitor exeC Program Files Scriptlogic PortSecurity EmbargoEvents exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exeC Program Files Trend Micro OfficeScan Client pccntmon exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files VMware VMware Workstation vmware-tray exeC Program Files VMware VMware Workstation hqtray exeC Program Files DesktopAuthority rmgui exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Communicator Communicator exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exeC Program Files Windows Desktop Search WindowsSearch exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Office ONENOTEM EXEC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exeC WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXEC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Documents and Settings jseiler Desktop HiJackThis exeC WINDOWS system SearchProtocolHost exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http neptune scriptlogic localO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLLO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvCpl dll NvStartupO - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe installO - HKLM Run RightFAX Print-to-Fax Driver C Program Files RightFax FaxCtrl exeO - HKLM Run TrkMonitor quot C Program Files Canon Electronics DR C TrkMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run EmbargoEvents C Program Files Scriptlogic PortSecurity EmbargoEvents exeO - HKLM Run GrooveMonitor quot C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run OfficeScanNT Monitor quot C Program Files Trend Micro OfficeScan Client pccntmon exe quot -HideWindowO - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NeroCheck exeO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottimeO - HKLM Run vmware-tray C Program Files VMware VMware Workstation vmware-tray exeO - HKLM Run VMware hqtray quot C Program Files VMware VMware Workstation hqtray exe quot O - HKLM Run Desktop Authority GUI quot C Program Files DesktopAuthority rmgui exe quot O - HKLM ... Read more

A:Core.cache.dsk Won't Delete

After browsing the forums a bit, I found a user that was having a similar problem as myself. Richie was helping this person, so I found this line in the ComboFix log...R1 rasptii;rasptii;C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rasptii.sys [2008-01-22 19:06]Comparing it to the other files in that section, I noticed that this one had a completely different date, so I made a CFScript text file and sure enough, it got rid of the core.cache.dsk. I ran SuperAntiSpyware like Richie suggested in that other thread, and I got rid of any remaining spyware, then I decided to run Spybot Search and Destroy just to make sure, and the only thing that found was Tracking cookies. Therefore, my computer is clean! Thank you Richie for indirectly helping me.You can close this thread now, thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/127462/corecachedsk-wont-delete/
Relevancy 53.75%

Any idea on how to delete cache copy of roaming profile in a XP Pro enviroment machine? We use Windows 2003 Server. From the domain server, I have setup a group policy to delete all cache copy of roaming profiles from the all the client machines. The rest of the machine do delete the roaming cache copy of profile except this machine. So in this machine, I also manually set the group policy to delete the roaming cache copy of profile but it's not working. When I check the Resultant Set of Policy, it was fine. No error was generated.

ljCharlie

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-delete-cache-copy-of-profile-18478.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I was looking through my cache files and noticed that only some of them were there and I am definitely sure I did not delete them. I am also sure they were deleted automatically.

When I do a virus scan it sometimes scans few thousand files, then if you rescan immediately after the scan is complete without doing anything it scans three or four times as many files.

Also when I try to move a window around using the blue bar it gets stuck and does not let me move it around as I want.

could some one please tell me how I can solve this problems, and if someone is HIJACKING my computer?

Thanks in advance

A:Cache Files delete automatically

Hi there, some cache files will delete themselves automatically after reboots and certain tasks..this is normal.

What particular cached files are you referring to and where are they stored on your PC?

As for the moving Window problem, do you have your XP install disc?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cache-files-delete-automatically-110415.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello I have tried everything under the sun to delete this file name it Please help HJT log file attached Thanks I think is causing unwanted pop-ups in Explorer URGGGGG Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C help!! delete core.cache.dsk Can't file..pls WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Can't delete core.cache.dsk file..pls help!! Files iS Anti-Spyware SZServer exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files STOPzilla STOPzilla exe C WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v aspnet state exe C Program Files Cox Applications app SysSvcNt exe C WINDOWS System dllhost exe C WINDOWS BCMSMMSG exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exe C Program Files Common Files Authentium AntiVirus dvpapi exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C WINDOWS System msdtc exe C WINDOWS System locator exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System dllhost exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C WINDOWS System wbem wmiapsrv exe C WINDOWS System dmadmin exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C Program Files Cox Applications App Console exe C Program Files internet explorer iexplore exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe C Documents and Settings Andrea Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE O WIJCN HiJackThis exe C WINDOWS System wbem wmiprvse exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page www google com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SITEguard BHO - B- F - - -F EE FCB EC - C Program Files STOPzilla SZSG dll O - BHO AuthPopupBHO cBHO - C F -D - D -BA - EE EDAC - C Program Files Cox Applications App popupbho dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO STOPzilla Browser Helper Object - E F - - D - F B- D B D - C Program Files STOPzilla SZIEBHO dll O - Toolbar Cox Popup Blocker - C A F - D - B- - C BCE - C Program Files Cox Applications App popupbho dll O - Toolbar STOPzilla - DED-A - F- BA-D F A B B - C Program Files STOPzilla SZSG dll O - HKLM Run PCMService quot C Program Files Dell Media Experience PCMService exe quot O - HKLM Run Dell AIO Printer A quot C Program Files Dell AIO Printer A dlbkbmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run ESP C Program Files Cox Applications app start exe O - HKLM Run UpdateManager quot C Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager sgtray exe quot r O - HKLM Run ISUSScheduler quot C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe quot -start O - HKLM Run ISUSPM Startup C PROGRA COMMON INSTAL UPDATE ISUSPM exe -startup O - HKLM Run BCMSMMSG BCMSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run WinPatrol C Program Files BillP Studios WinPatrol winpatrol exe O - HKLM Run KernelFaultCheck systemroot system dumprep -k O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run Security Application Launcher C Program Files Cox Applications App start exe O - HKCU Run SUPERAntiSpyware C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe O - Global Startup Cisco Systems VPN Client lnk C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client vpngui exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - HKCU Software Policies Microsoft Internet Explorer Control Panel present O - Extra button no name - B C - AAF- CFF- - F EF FED C - C WINDOWS System shdoc... Read more

Relevancy 53.32%

IN:

D:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\E5HYRUXG

or other similar folders there is a 0k file called 'search[1].' - it will not delete. I get an error:

"Cannot delete file. Cannot read from source file or disk."

This is not a cache folder that's being used - just on a secondary drive I'm trying to clean up.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 53.32%

After running these command lines:
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded
I gained around 4 GB of free space.

However when I run this command line
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
Please help me delete this 3.1 GB. I suppose cache and temporary data are not that important are they?. I already tried Disk Cleanup but it doesn't work. My SSD is nearly full and I need this space so much

I would really appreciate your help. Anything at all :'(

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/72974-how-delete-cache-temporary-data-winsxs.html
Relevancy 53.32%

First off thank you all for your help It is a blessing that people like you are out there I wish I could help people like this Thank you for providing this service Wife's computer started getting random pop-up ads all the time Downloaded Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware updated and ran Removed problems some of which needed to be deleted during start up Rebooted re-scanned found about more was able to remove everything except the core cache dsk file under windows system drivers Rebooted re-scanned Cannot Popups, Core.cache.dsk And Delete Of Lots several times kept coming back to that file and several registry entries Used a linux live cd to bypass Windows as I could not delete the file in windows Could not delete the file Lots Of Popups, And Cannot Delete Core.cache.dsk under linux either I figured it was a protection built into the live Lots Of Popups, And Cannot Delete Core.cache.dsk cd to keep me from hoseing my windows system Started doing web searches for this file for assistance in how to delete remove it found this site ran out of time to work on it more noticed that IE had changed homepage to Google com Changed back to yahoo com it asked me three times if I wanted to change the home page I selected yes each time then a large amount of windows popped open and closed right away some exe files showed up on my desktop for a few seconds and then more windows opened closed and the exe files left again I assume this was a huge re-infection triggered by the home page change Ran the Anti-malware again removed about problems but still the core cache dsk remained Went to bed This morning started down your checklist of what to do prior to HJT log Ad-Aware removed criticals Spybot removed but couldn't remove quot Win VB ahq quot and asked to run on restart Said yes Ran during restart and removed problems including win VB ahq and core cache dsk After computer came up installed all windows updates did not install ie spy bot autoran again and found more still found c c d and w vb ahq when computer came back up three black screens came up command com windows and closed again I have no idea what they did but I assume they were installing more malware Ran Panda ActiveScan Found virus spyware hacking tools and suspicious files the virus were disinfected Ran Stinger was a little thrown off by the virus data file dated but could not find a way to update it stinger reports clean files It doesn't say anything was fixed or wrong installed zone alarm after reboot it tells me right away that explorer exe is trying to access the internet told it no the first time but it came up again when I went to check windows updates and this time I allowed it I started getting popups about every minute or so from that time forward re-checked windows updates only one high priority to install no criticals execpt IE Ran HJT log Posted this message HJT log follows Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS SYSTEM ZONELABS vsmon exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX smagent exeC Program Files Microsoft Hardware Keyboard type exeC Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMTray exeC Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeC Program Files Winamp winampa exeC Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC WINDOWS stem s chost exeC PROGRA COMMON ICROSO NET lsass exeC Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exeC Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft I... Read more

A:Lots Of Popups, And Cannot Delete Core.cache.dsk

Hello c_fire,Before we start, you need to realize that you are missing one important program on that computer: An antivirus. This is somewhat suicidal in today's digital world. You need to install an antivirus program as soon as you can and run a complete scan of the computer. I recommend you download the free Avast or AntiVir orAVG antivirus Products from all three vendors received the Virus Bulletin's VB100% award and certification for virus detection from ICSA Labs.Never install more than one antivirus scanner or firewall on your system! Several together can give you problems and decrease the reliability of it seriously! Post the results of the antivirus scan and a fresh Hijackthis log.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/137236/lots-of-popups-and-cannot-delete-corecachedsk/
Relevancy 53.32%

Is there a button to enable in options to delete cache upon exit of I.E. 6 so
no need to delete manually ?

If so, which do I find it and click ?

Thanks.

A:Button enable to delete cache upon exit ?

Internet Options>Advanced. Check "Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder When Browser is Closed".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/button-enable-to-delete-cache-upon-exit-513472.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi there. Well, making my last efforts here before having to reinstall all...

I'm having several IE pop-ups, some from "popunder.paypopup" some others I can't remember now.

I've been searching forums for an answer but it only seems there's nothing to do, or that I might get help by posting my specifiq case.

Both spyware doctor and spybot are detecting this, first one says it's rootkit.agent, the second says it's smitfraud, I don't know if those are generic names, or what. Fact is that both delete the core.cache.dsk file, and ask me to reboot. When I reboot, the file appears again, and again, and again. The file is not even there when I log into safe mode.

Should I post my Hijackthis log?

Any help would be greatly appreciatted.

Thanks

Relevancy 53.32%

I also have problems with pop-ups! delete? core.cache.dsk How to causing Solved: core cache dsk and i can t delete it Please help This is my log file ComboFix Solved: core.cache.dsk causing pop-ups! How to delete? - - Zvonimir - - - NTFSx Microsoft Solved: core.cache.dsk causing pop-ups! How to delete? Windows XP Professional GMT Running from C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Desktop ComboFix exe Created a new restore point WARNING -THIS MACHINE DOES NOT HAVE THE RECOVERY CONSOLE INSTALLED Other Deletions C Program Files fnts C Program Files fnts F nts C WINDOWS system drivers core cache dsk failed to delete Files Created from - - to - - - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files AnswerWorks - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files AutoCAD - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data Autodesk - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data Autodesk - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files D Live Pool - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C WINDOWS wb - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS WirelessFTP INI - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system drivers core cache dsk - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS mozver dat - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data GlarySoft - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Glary Utilities - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Teamspeak RC - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data teamspeak - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system lhacm acm - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data Hamachi - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Hamachi - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system drivers hamachi sys - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system CmdLineExt dll - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Counter-Strike - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Common Files Autodesk Shared - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Autodesk - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Google - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Common Files Adobe - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data AdobeUM - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Spyware Doctor - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data PC Tools - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system msvcr dll - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system msvcp dll - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system msvcr dll - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system drivers iksyssec sys - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system drivers iksysflt sys - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system drivers ikfilesec sys - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system drivers kcom sys - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system drivers riodrvv sys - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data BSplayer - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data BSplayer PRO - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Webteh - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS NeroDigital ini - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Windows Live Safety Center - - - - lt DIR gt dr-h----- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data SecuROM - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system CmdLineExt dll - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files KONAMI - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files DAEMON Tools SearchBar - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files DAEMON Tools - - - - --a------ C WINDOWS system drivers sptd sys - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Common Files NSV - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files BORGChat - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Winamp - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Application Data Winamp - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings Zvonimir Contacts - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files MSN Messenger - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data nView Profiles - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files SecureW - - - - lt DIR gt d-------- C Program Files Windows Media Connect ... Read more

A:Solved: core.cache.dsk causing pop-ups! How to delete?

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

File::
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\riodrvv.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\core.cache.dsk

Driver::
riodrvv

Save this as CFScript.txt

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe after ComboFix runs post the resulting log.

Please perform a scan with Kaspersky Webscan Online Virus Scanner

1. Read the Requirements and Privacy statement, then select "Accept".
2. A new window will appear promting you to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky - "Do you want to install this software?".
3. Click "Yes" or select "Install" to download the ActiveX controls that allows ActiveScan to run.
4. When the download is complete it will say ready, click "Next".
5. Click "Scan Settings" and check the option to use the Extended Database if available otherwise Standard).
6. Click "Scan Options" and select both "Scan Archives" and "Scan Mail Bases".
7. Click "OK".
8. Under "Select a target to scan", click on "My Computer".
9. When the scan is complete choose to save the results as "Save as Text" named kaspersky.txt to your desktop and post them in your next reply.

Kaspersky does not remove anything but will provide a log of anything it finds. On August 8th, 2006 Kaspersky updated the software used for Free Online Virus Scanner. In order to continue using the online scanner you will need to uninstall the old version (if previously used) from your Add/Remove Programs list and then install the latest version. To do this, follow the steps here and reboot afterwards if your system does not reboot automatically or it will show 'Kaspersky Online Scanner license key was not found!
Click here to download HJTInstall.exe

Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
Click on Install.
It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-core-cache-dsk-causing-pop-ups-how-to-delete.678091/
Relevancy 53.32%

my antivirus scanner (AVG), was freezing on the mozilla cache directory at first.

I was able to clear the cache, yet it just transfers it to a "cache.trash" directory.

I tried even in safe mode, and the computer freezes when trying to delete that directory.

im guessing theres some virus/whatever in there.

what should I do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mozilla-cache-directory-wont-delete.638656/
Relevancy 52.89%

im using firefox & went to delete cookies & those 2 boxes mentioned were clicked as well. im wondering if i should delete them.

A:what will happen if i delete my cache or active login history

It won't hurt at all. Just deleting your cookies, and active login history will delete all of your saved logins.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/241459-what-will-happen-if-i-delete-my-cache-active-login-history.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Im having some issues. I want to uninstall Win NT and install win 98 or win 95. However my HD does not setect my CDRom. So I decided to install using floppys win 95. Now Im getting an error that there is a compressed file or a disk cache utility that needs to be deleted. Help!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/delete-compressed-file-disk-cache-utility.48124/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have been using Webroot Desktop Firewall WDF Version for about years Webroot cache Desktop Can't Firewall Internet files from delete and just started having problems in deleting WDF files from my Internet cache c Documents and Settings Owner Local Settings Temporary Internet Files The first Can't delete Webroot Desktop Firewall files from Internet cache file is res WDF exe gif Last accessed PM The remaining files are the same except for the last digits which are etc I can provide the digits for the remaining files if you need them They were all last accessed at the same date and time I have tried to delete these files manually in SAFE mode WDF is not loaded but with no success The only time I can delete them is while in full operating mode I close WDF reopen WDF and delete them from Windows Explorer without refreshing after reopening WDF When I refresh all the files come back plus new files that are repeats of the original files except that they have new quot Last accessed quot dates times that coincide with when I reopened WDF I can delete these new files but not the old ones with the quot Last accessed quot date time of PM It appears that some glitch occurred with WDF on at PM that caused these files to be permanently retained in the Internet cache while the files actually used during WDF operation are easily deleted I deleted all my index dat files while in SAFE mode but this did not fix the problem either This is not a huge deal as the files occupy only K I amp m just curious what amp s going on especially as I have not updated or changed my WDF in any way Any suggestions for deleting these files would be greatly appreciated I m using Win XP SP IE nbsp

A:Can't delete Webroot Desktop Firewall files from Internet cache

I contacted Webroot about this problem, and they recommended uninstalling WDF and running a WDF removal tool that they provided via download. I tried these, but the files still stubbornly remain in my Internet cache. Note: when I try to delete them in SAFE mode, my PC beeps very loudly, and no notice comes up that they are in use by another program.

Webroot warned that I would not be able to reinstall WDF because it is no longer available as a free download for customers who have purchased other Webroot products. That was fine because I downloaded the free version of ZoneAlarm to replace WDF. I feel better about that because I don't want WDF leaving more impossible-to-delete files in my Internet cache.

Again, if anyone has recommendations for removing these files, please let me know!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-delete-webroot-desktop-firewall-files-from-internet-cache.921187/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello guys, i got a BSOD, got it many times in a row, i think it's my ATI drivers, but i'm not sure, could you check it and tell me how to fix?

It's just restarting after a while of playing, after that it's turning on telling me that windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown, after it dumped all of the memory i can't turn it on for like 10 minutes, if i try to turn it on then it imediately turns off again. After waiting ~10 minutes it can be turned on again.

My Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Pentium Processor T4400(2.2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
4GB RAM

It's a laptop, Acer Aspire 5738ZG to be exact.

Relevancy 47.73%

There's an OEM for it for $100 on eBay. (AUD, 72.91 USD) I don't have a paid OS yet (Win10 IP, planning on Linux Mint) I'd like a retail copy of 7 at some point, so I've always got a transferable licence for future systems.

Basically the plan is to have Windows 7 retail dual-booting with XP x64.

But I don't want to waste $100 on XP64 if it's not any good. I love XP, and to be able to use it with a 64-bit CPU and 8 GB RAM is enough to make me want to buy this. I'm just not sure if there will be any major problems with the OS that make it no better than the 32-bit version. (I know of the little glitches already)

So basically, is XP64 worth buying at $100?

A:Windows XP x64 on modern PC

IMO XP is not worth $100 plus it is no longer supported by MS so no updates leaving it vulnerable, I would move to 7 which has support until 2020.  That will give you time to think out your next step, 7 can be bought for about the same $$.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600565/windows-xp-x64-on-modern-pc/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi all

I'm new here so this will be my first thread. I've got some problems with a couple modern apps like the music app and video app. When I start one of these two the app crashes. Also there are some apps I want to use too like Clouder! and Tunein radio. when I start those apps it opens but I can't play anything. I've upgraded all my drivers, I tried the windows 8 troubleshooting, and I did a command in CMD forgot witch line it was.. something like SMC or something. I'm out of solutions. Please help me out! I have a HP Pavilion G6 2004SD notebook pc with Windows 8.1 Pro N on it.

Thank you

A:Windows 8.1 modern app crashes

Please guys :-( I've tried everything. help me out

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/43974-windows-8-1-modern-app-crashes.html
Relevancy 47.3%

In Windows Microsoft has prohibited the user to log on straight to the Windows Desktop through a system licensing policy Due to this policy you always have to start with the Modern UI If you re a power-user or you just want choice you should be able to boot your system straight to the desktop I m not against the Modern UI and I have no problem with the start screen but I m pretty sure I and many others don t need it Modern Bypass 8 Windows UI right from the beginning of a session It is also Windows 8 Bypass Modern UI annoying to use Windows 8 Bypass Modern UI some of the current solutions out there as all they do is skip this screen on every sign-in but this results in showing the start screen for a split second which can be a very jarring experience for the user After a lot of work and research I finally think I found a native way and maybe the cleanest solution to bypass Modern UI during sign-in Therefore I wrote an application to skip this behavior Modern UI is not disabled It all works only the sign-in behavior is affected Source A Guy

A:Windows 8 Bypass Modern UI

Originally Posted by A Guy

In Windows 8, Microsoft has prohibited the user to log on straight to the Windows Desktop through a system licensing policy. Due to this policy, you always have to start with the Modern UI.

"Modern UI"? Is that what they're calling it now? LOL. It's actually the "Atavistic UI", because its full-screen, modal program launcher is reminiscent of running Hotwire on my Atari ST circa 1988, except Hotwire didn't have anything as stupid as Windows 8's "4 Corners". And while I haven't read the article, bypassing the login to the "Modern UI" doesn't mean you never have to work with it. After installing programs, to pin programs to the taskbar, I would have to use the "Modern UI" or open the Start menu folders, which Microsoft has made hard to get to as a side-effect of getting rid of the Start Menu and its menu with "Open" and "Open All Users" commands for the "All Programs" menu item. My advice for people who recognize the ridiculousness of the "Modern UI" is to stick with Windows 7. Why spend money on a non-upgrade and then have to run various hacks to get it to a usable state? And then spend even more money to get Windows Media Center back, a part of Windows essential to anyone using CableCard, a part that hasn't even seen bug fixes much less improvements? Just because they're not thinking doesn't mean you have to stop.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/10202-windows-8-bypass-modern-ui.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi,
I used to be able to locate bits of files that were "temp" or not saved because they were written on a site (Like this question for example) or because the program/page failed in some way and lost my text... by searching for "~" tilda
or #, that doesn't work on Edge...
I can't find the Edge temp user cache, and the search function doesn't seem to search for text in a file only names of files, despite having search full text selected.  

What can I do to locate something I lost due to site crash?\

Help.
Leah

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2e461122-f6dc-4b29-8a58-069cb3960583/locating-crashed-cache-typed-text-in-edge-cache-on-local-machine?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 46.87%

I was so irritated by Windows 8, that I completely removed all of the apps, and disabled 'Metro' as much as possible.

I now need Microsoft Store to install the Windows 8.1 update.

How can I do this without a complete reinstall?

A:How to get the Windows 8 Apps and enable Modern UI

This should be helpful for you:

[Windows 8 Recovery & Repair|http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2A03ES0000R01.htm]

Probably the best choice would be the option ?Refresh your PC?
You could refresh the system without loosing your files.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?73943-How-to-get-the-Windows-8-Apps-and-enable-Modern-UI
Relevancy 46.87%

It all started when I tried to use the calculator I pressed the calculator key on my keyboard but the calculator app didn't open It just flashed on the screen I tried again but no luck I googled and found this I re-registered the apps and reboot my computer Calculator didn't work nor did any other apps I also discovered that all apps had strange names For example store is something like Microsoft WindowsStore etc br I tried re-registering and rebooting again Trying to open calculator with keyboard gives an error My OS is not in English but I try to translate it quot You need a new application to open link type calculator quot br br Is there anything I can do but a clean install of Windows blockquote div div div div class cleardiv div div a style text-decoration none color grey href javascript onmousedown if document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'none' document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'block' else document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'none' nbsp nbsp My System Specs Windows apps Modern broken. a You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this Computer Type PC Desktop System Manufacturer Model Number DIY OS Windows CPU i - K Motherboard Gigabyte Z -D H Memory Gb Graphics Card GTX

A:Modern Windows apps broken.

I find when there is a pending update to the modern windows apps they won't work correctly. Then navigate to store and generally can see an update waiting. It then updates and seems to work fine. I've had it before where photos or calculator flash on screen and then disappear. I then see the updates are lurking. So basically a looming update seems to break functionality until you actually go and update.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/34258-modern-windows-apps-broken.html
Relevancy 46.87%

So I had a problem this working... apps modern 10 Windows not morning regarding the modern apps icons they were all blank whichever app I ran Then I tried to fix them following this article BEST FIX Windows Store Icon Windows 10 modern apps not working... Missing - Appuals com But it just made things worse and now I can't even open Windows Apps I can't even run sfc scannow it fails the verification phase When I search for for example quot calculator quot in search bar it finds the app but it's called Microsoft WindowsCalculator etc When I run it nothing happens br What can I do blockquote div div div div class cleardiv div div a style text-decoration none color grey href javascript onmousedown if document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'none' document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'block' else document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'none' nbsp nbsp My System Specs a You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this Computer Type PC Desktop OS Windows Pro -bit CPU Intel Core i K Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z Memory Kingston HyperX Beast GB Graphics Card nVidia GTX ASUS GTX -DC - GD

A:Windows 10 modern apps not working...

Do a system restore. Pick a date that is 2 to 3 days ago as your restore point.

System Restore Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/39354-windows-10-modern-apps-not-working.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi All

Updated to 8.1 update 1 2 weeks ago via Windows update, only problem I have is with 1 modern app, that crashes a lot now, otherwise everything else is fine, app is called Megatube, Antivirus Avast Antivirus 9.0.2016, Maybe I shouldn't have updated early to 8.1 update 1 lol, but don't really wanna go thru a whole system refresh or clean install again if I can help it

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/43711-windows-8-1-issue-modern-app-crashing.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi, none of my Windows Ten Apps will open, including the windows ten store, xbox, groove music, mail, photos, minecraft windows ten edition, calendar, you get the idea. I'm running version 1511, (OS Build 10586.318). I can't remember when it started, but it's a pain. I've looked up the issue online, but nothing seems to be the EXACT same problem with me. My start button works fine, and the apps don't give me an error message or anything. If someone could fix this I would be SO grateful!

A:None of my Windows Ten Modern Apps Work.

Hello Batman, and welcome to Ten Forums.

You might see if using the method in the tutorial below to reinstall and re-register all apps may help.

Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/51033-none-my-windows-ten-modern-apps-work.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I really want to know if you CAN install it!

A:How to install windows 2000 on a modern hp p7

Um why XXXX? Have you got data on an old 2000 OS you need? if so it can be done without having to install the whole sheebang mate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/275551-how-install-windows-2000-modern-hp-p7.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Here ya go Some good browsers no longer support Windows XP Yet you can still find places Get Browsers XP. Windows for Modern Update where suitable versions of the popular browsers can be found Firefox is still said to be compatible with Windows XP nbsp Yet even so there may be some issues with the newest version You can get older versions of Firefox from the Mozilla site Try a version before maybe even before for some issues My problem was that I could not print from newer versions of Firefox when using my Windows XP on by Get Modern Browsers for Windows XP. Update old Dell https www mozilla org en-US As for Internet Explorer nbsp you just have to hunt to find a version that works Get Modern Browsers for Windows XP. Update with XP Here is one http filehippo com download internet explorer xp Another hard one is Chrome Google says no more Chrome for XP nbsp Still nbsp you can find an older version that works They say you want version or earlierhttp www slimjet com chrome google-chrome-old-version phpSeaMonkey is not a problem But it is SeaMonkey Opera is still alright as far Get Modern Browsers for Windows XP. Update as i know Of course you can just give up on using XP nbsp What about Safari http www techspot com downloads -safari-for-windows htmlComments

A:Get Modern Browsers for Windows XP. Update

Firefox 46 works fine on my XP system. I have my "era appropriate" Lexmark Z816 Printer connected to that system. If the browser can't print it is probably better to copy paste to a word document and print that way, which is better in general since you can print only specifically what you want. On an older system that is no longer receiving security updates it is likely a good idea to keep the browser as up to date as possible.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,156122.0.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Quote With the introduction of Windows Microsoft is making some fundamental changes to how its software functions Beyond bringing back the Start menu Microsoft will also be making some significant changes to the way the Windows Store works Currently you can only buy 'modern' apps in the Windows Store but that will all soon change thanks to a blog post that was quickly pulled by Microsoft Because of that post we know that non-modern apps will soon be sold in the store Per the blog post The Windows Store will also support more than just modern apps It will add desktop apps as well as other types of digital content We will provide many different ways to pay for apps And we'll provide an 10: apps than Store to more modern Windows Windows support organization store within the public Windows Store where an org can place Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps their own curated list of public apps as well as specific line-of-business apps Windows 10: Windows Store to support more than modern apps that their employees need Windows Windows Store to support more than modern apps - Neowin

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-10-windows-store-to-support-more-than-modern-apps-902194.html
Relevancy 46.44%

So I amp ve been experimenting for a week now to determine why I keep getting inconsistent CPU load values and task completion times while video encoding using Nero I decided to install Vista Ultimate on two different HDD s One was a Seagate Tb The Depending On ( HDD Mb Cache) i7 and Cache 920 Performs 16Mb Differently 32 CPU Mb Cache and the other was a WD Caviar Green Gb with Mb Cache Running Nero on the WD Hard Drive converting a Mb Avi to DVD took minutes average CPU load was around On the Seagate the exact same task took over minutes Average CPU load was approx Keep in mind i7 920 CPU Performs Differently Depending On The HDD ( 16Mb Cache and 32 Mb Cache) that I purchased a Mb cache HD specifically for this experiment Additionally the store had no WD so I was forced to settle with Seagate Odd the store was totally sold out of all Mb Cache Western Digital HHD s but had an overstock of Seagate I amp ve always avoid Seagate now because I have about four Gb Sata HDD amp s collecting dust because they either stopped working or generate a metal on metal grinding sound So can anyone explain why the Seagate performed so poorly Is it the larger capacity cache or are they just bad nbsp

A:i7 920 CPU Performs Differently Depending On The HDD ( 16Mb Cache and 32 Mb Cache)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i7-920-cpu-performs-differently-depending-on-the-hdd-16mb-cache-and-32-mb-cache.792201/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi, I wanted to know if is it possible to switch between modern ui (as it is by default) and desktop apps, all in the same left pane in Windows 8.1?
Thanks

A:Switch between desktop and modern Ui apps in Windows 8.1

Welcome to Windows EightForums, jimi21.

Not quite sure what you mean by “all in the same left pane”. Please explain.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/39807-switch-between-desktop-modern-ui-apps-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi. I was playing "Jazz Jackrabbit 2" on my computer, and it crashed with some kind of application error several times in a couple of hours. I've attached a screenshot of the error window(s). Also, for next time, how do I place an image inline in a post?

One more thing. Can someone give me a little information or links to information about what the Assembly Language registers pertain to in the Application Error windows of the screenshot? I've just started teaching myself Assembly Language, so I'm curious

A:What could cause a 17-year-old game to crash on a modern Windows 7?!

I`m shocked you could even install a 17 year old game

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/358533-what-could-cause-17-year-old-game-crash-modern-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I've encounter that all of my windows 10 apps cannot launch. I click them in the start menu but without response.
I've executed powershell command

Code:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
bui it doesn't help. Is there any log i can check where is going wrong?

A:Windows modern app won't launch even after powershell command fix

Did i ask a silly question? Or it's impossible to fix? Do i have to reinstall windows?

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/35617-windows-modern-app-wont-launch-even-after-powershell-command-fix.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello all,
We have some workstations running Windows 8 that we would like to get upgraded to 8.1. We originally deployed Windows 8 using a customized image with all the Modern UI apps removed, e.g. Mail, Calendar, People, Maps, News, Food & Drink, Health &
Fitness, Reading List, etc. I've run the upgrade on a test machine using "Setup.exe /auto:upgrade" as documented at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/dn744271.aspx and it works; however, all the Modern UI apps are re-installed. 
Is there a way to perform this upgrade without all the apps installing, or, at the very least, not have the icons appear on the user's Start menu?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1b356fda-9893-4c11-b66b-609222814128/upgrade-from-windows-8-to-81-without-the-modern-ui-apps-installing?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 46.44%

I'm unable to install any windows 8 apps from the store. As a matter of fact, I can't even update existing ones. All get stuck on pending and don't download at all. Anyone else has experienced this problem? 

A:Unable to install any modern windows 8 apps

Hi,
Can you fill in the blanks around that statement? Hardware, software, anything else not working correctly?
Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545150/unable-to-install-any-modern-windows-8-apps/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi this App 8 Windows Interface) (Modern best practice updates: is somethig i do not get and relly do not like how it seems to work what i would like to achieve is in first instance to update all the system at a time so far what it seems to me now it's like i have to manage two operating systems one on the desktop side and one on the app modern interface side if Windows 8 App (Modern Interface) updates: best practice point one is not possible as now i assume because did not found a way to do that in nd instance stop the metro operating system willing to reinstall all the apps i removed this happens to me at every update for example if i removed games sport meteo etc that i don't need at every calendar update all the previously removed are checked for install and i have to remove manually this selection trying to remember if that app was keeped or not WW TT FF sorry do you want me to go insane with this This is really what i call the system getting in my way - overall i really like windows but this really p s me off a lot and hope someone know how to quot fix quot this otherwise i'm going to ignore the metro installing classic shell so in rd instance is classic shell mature and stable for a working environment or do i put my system at risk my normal policy is to install the less programs i can to avoid uneeded issues hope this is clear thanks a lot Roy

A:Windows 8 App (Modern Interface) updates: best practice

I've used Classic Shell for months without any problems from it.

And I've never heard of anyone complain about it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28954-windows-8-app-modern-interface-updates-best-practice.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Require list of all known boot loaders:

Require updated and simplified tutorials:

Require software and utilities to ease implementation:

Require list of all possible command prompt commands relating to dual boot, boot recovery, disk and file systems:

[If you are able to help, please professionally post below.]

A:Professionally Setup Dual Boot [MS-DOS 5 & Modern Windows]

Goggle brought this up THPC: Dual-Boot MS-DOS 7.10 and Windows 7 on your Windows 7 computer didn't see any on 8 and 5.0 at all

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/66167-professionally-setup-dual-boot-ms-dos-5-modern-windows.html
Relevancy 45.58%

This tutorial demonstrates how to close 'Modern' Apps completely using the 'drag to the bottom of the screen' method; also, drastically reducing the 'hang' time with this method.

A:Close 'Modern' Apps Quickly & Completely in Windows 8.1

Nice demo but, can I say that... to be accurate like that requires dexterity and a healthy wrist.
One cannot miss that mark or else it must be re applied ?
Don't pull it down completely or too slow or hesitate or let go of the button - oops...

One of my 4 trackball buttons is set to close a window - program or app. That's it, one button to close anything.
Not the X in the upper corner. I don't use the X in the upper corner.

On the other hand, I like app switching and suspension of apps. They are instant on.
Not a fan of Alt F4?

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/44464-close-modern-apps-quickly-completely-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I have a Lenovo Yoga UI" 10 open "Modern won't without Windows Connection Internet apps Tablet - F running Windows I have a number of modern Windows 10 "Modern UI" apps won't open without Internet Connection apps that refuse to open unless I am actively connected to the internet Desktop or Windows 10 "Modern UI" apps won't open without Internet Connection legacy apps open fine in airplane mode but anything downloaded from the Windows Store will not This even includes built-in apps such as calculator So far I have tried running sfc scannow in Command Prompt running WSReset exe updating all drivers from lenovo I also spent the better part of yesterday afternoon chatting with Contact Support who at various points told me that the tablet was designed to work that way um no that no Windows apps will open without internet connection false or simply ended the chat when it seemed like they were in over their heads has anyone else noticed this problem I have tried to recreate it on my desktop also running Windows by unplugging my ethernet cable and then opening various apps and it functions as expected - they will open and perform everything normally unless specifically needing the internet Don't get me wrong I understand that certain apps require Internet Access Hulu or Netflix come to mind However for even calculator to not open without internet seems wrong Please let me know if i left any other pertinent information out Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585099/windows-10-modern-ui-apps-wont-open-without-internet-connection/
Relevancy 45.58%

I am using Live Moviemaker 2012 and wonder if it is possible to change the color of the bars in de text-effect Modern Fade 3?
The effect is fine, but not the colors. Please inform.

grt.
Fred

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4b9f31a6-2583-4a24-8ed4-813e6a8d4a82/windows-live-moviemaker-modern-fade-effect?forum=w7itpromedia
Relevancy 45.58%

I INSTALLED THE GAME SUCCESSFULLY. However when i double click the (single player) icon on my desktop, nothing happens. (2GB ram, VGA-9500GT). Please Advice.

Relevancy 45.58%

Hi I was given these instructions from another forum to show me how to remove unwanted apps from my computer. Problem seems to stem from the fact that I am unable to replicate a certain "caret" into the command, for example: "Get-AppXPackage -User <username> |  Remove-AppxPackage". I highlighted the caret in red that I mean. It says to open Powershell and at then "Type the following command to remove all Modern apps from the system account", but I tried this but because I cannot put in the " | " in the command it only opens another command beginning, for instance:
PS C:\Windows\system32>
Please help, how do I get this to work, there are tons of apps pre-installed on this windows 8 that I simply do not use, I do not have a disk, it came with windows 8 pre-installed.
thanks for any help with this
jhona56

A:Remove Modern apps user account in Windows 8

Hi,

Think this is what you are after...http://www.pcworld.com/article/2148482/new-app-automates-the-process-of-dumping-windows-8-metro-bloatware.html

Regards,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544924/remove-modern-apps-user-account-in-windows-8/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hey I'm the owner of a SB Already a first time my start menu doesnt appeared I lost a full day one night to fix the bug SFC scannow didnt work neither health restore but I get it worked by this solutionhttp www urtech ca apps Modern (including windows store) crash solved- Modern apps crash (including windows store) in- -minutes seemingly the bug always existed but Microsoft just leave it like oftenly This worked but as I couldn't access to my Modern apps crash (including windows store) installed modern apps except directly from the store all modern apps diseapeared from all app lists and from search I finaly restore to an Modern apps crash (including windows store) prior restore point This worked but I experienced the bug A SECOND but the method again but lose all access to modern apps so I try a restore point but the only available seemingly the OS keep just save was even more buggy So I tried few codes that we find on internet to reinstall all apps and that we put in powershell Heres the code Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register quot InstallLocation AppXManifest xml quot like this I also do nfc scannow or something like that which didn't work even with restore health but who finaly worked after I use an modified ISO but without fix anything But now I'm thinking that after days of my life waste I don't find the solution my problem I just can't launch the majority of modern apps and livetile doesn't work also the majority show just only one color in their tiles with weird title as microsoft etc On other accounts windows store show splash screen before crash and other moderns apps seems to work I don't want to create a new account and obviously neither resethttp imgur com gfHHTQ Thanks if you read me

A:Modern apps crash (including windows store)

Hi, Using
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest*.xml"}
in the last few weeks breaks a number of universal apps, alas.

Recovery: Either
a. restore from a recent disk image (Everyone needs to use disk imaging as Windows is easily broken)
or (if you haven't yet started to use disk imaging)
b. an in-place upgrade repair install (which keeps everything)
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/36419-modern-apps-crash-including-windows-store.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Quote There s been so much excitement and energy around the Windows Technical Preview including incredible momentum around the Windows Insider Program where we recently hit million total registrants and over pieces of user-initiated feedback Thank you for signing-up for the program and providing us with your feedback We want Windows to be a reflection of what you need for your business Security Modern for 10: Windows the and Protection World Identity and I couldn t be more thrilled to see that happening In my last blog post I mentioned that I d follow-up in a few key areas Windows 10: Security and Identity Protection for the Modern World Today I d like to focus on security in Windows which has been central to many of the customer conversations I ve had since we announced the availability of the Technical Preview With good reason security and information protection is top of mind for many businesses In today s world the market for cyber-attacks on businesses is wide-reaching and attacks are increasingly high-profile and successful in execution We re seeing network breaches resulting Windows 10: Security and Identity Protection for the Modern World from techniques as simple as username and password theft In a couple of recent cases hackers infiltrated Fortune companies using stolen usernames and passwords which gave them access to point of sale systems and the credit card data being processed with them The attacks resulted in the theft of millions of credit card numbers which quickly ended up in the black market Recently the New York Times reported that billion usernames and passwords were stolen by a single cybercrime organization Which is scary considering there are only about billion people online worldwide These tenacious crime organizations and some nation states aren t the only threat that you re facing Even well-intended employees represent a substantial risk that requires mitigation A report this year from security firm Stroz Friedberg stated that percent of senior managers admit to regularly uploading work files to a personal email or cloud account meanwhile percent of users admit to having accidentally sent sensitive information to the wrong person Windows Security and Identity Protection for the Modern World

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-10-security-and-identity-protection-for-the-modern-world-910338.html
Relevancy 45.58%

In desktop mode of Windows 8 you can use the snipping tool (love that little guy) or Sent to One Note screen capture tool to grab a snapshot of any part of your computer screen. However, neither of these applications work in "Metro" mode. How can I snag a small screen capture in modern UI mode of Windows 8 on my PC? I know on my Surface I can take full screen captures using the Start Button+Volume Down key, but how about on a PC and how about something smaller than the entire screen?

A:How do you take a screen shot / capture of modern UI apps in Windows 8?

On a PC it is really easy to take a screen shot. Just press the "Prt Scr" button on your keyboard. Then open Paint (or any other image editing software) and press "Ctrl+V". The screen shot will get pasted into the app. And if you want something smaller than the entire screen then just select the portion you want and crop the image.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-8/247058-how-do-you-take-screen-shot-capture-modern-ui-apps-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hey I'm the owner of a SB Already a first time my start menu doesnt appeared I lost a full day one night to fix the bug SFC scannow didnt work neither health restore but I get it worked by this solutionhttp www apps Modern crash store) (including windows urtech ca solved- in- -minutes seemingly the bug always existed but Microsoft just leave it like oftenly This worked but as I couldn't access to my installed modern apps except directly from the store all modern apps diseapeared from all app lists and from search I finaly restore to an prior restore point This worked but I experienced the bug A SECOND but the method again but lose all access to modern apps so I try a restore point but the only available seemingly the OS keep just save was even more buggy So Modern apps crash (including windows store) I tried few codes that we find on internet to reinstall all apps and that we put in powershell Modern apps crash (including windows store) Heres the code Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register quot InstallLocation AppXManifest xml quot like this I also do nfc scannow or something like that which didn't work even with restore health but who finaly worked after I use an modified ISO but without fix anything But now I'm thinking that after days of my life waste I don't find the solution my problem I just can't launch the majority of modern apps and livetile doesn't work also the majority show just only one color in their tiles with weird title as microsoft etc On other accounts windows store show splash screen before crash and other moderns apps seems to work I don't want to create a new account and obviously neither resethttp imgur com gfHHTQ Thanks if you read me

A:Modern apps crash (including windows store)

Hi, Using
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest*.xml"}
in the last few weeks breaks a number of universal apps, alas.

Recovery: Either
a. restore from a recent disk image (Everyone needs to use disk imaging as Windows is easily broken)
or (if you haven't yet started to use disk imaging)
b. an in-place upgrade repair install (which keeps everything)
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/36419-modern-apps-crash-including-windows-store.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I looked back through old posts and tried to follow one to remove Removal Please Help! Problems... Trojan.cache.cache this from my computer I did everything that it is still on my computer Here is my Hijack this log Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated Thank you Logfile Trojan.cache.cache Removal Problems... Please Help! of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C Program Files Belkin Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA EXE C Program Files Common Files EPSON EBAPI SAgent exe C Program Files ewido security suite ewidoctrl exe C Program Files ewido security suite ewidoguard exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe C WINDOWS system ltmsg exe C WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C Program Files Dell Support Alert bin DAMon exe C WINDOWS system devldr exe C Program Files Microsoft Hardware Keyboard type exe C Program Files support com bin tgcmd exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech QCDriver LVCOMS EXE C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E FATI AA EXE C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exe C Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite LaunchApplication exe C Program Files Common Files PCSuite DataLayer DataLayer exe C Program Files Yahoo Yahoo Music Engine ymetray exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E FATI AA EXE C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E FATI AA EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA AIM aim exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite PcSync exe C Program Files The Weather Channel FW Desktop Weather DesktopWeather exe C Program Files Belkin Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C Program Files Nokia PC Suite for Nokia connmngmntbox exe C Program Files Nokia PC Suite for Nokia ectaskscheduler exe C PROGRA Nokia PCSUIT Elogerr exe C Program Files Intuwave Shared mRouterRunTime mRouterRuntime exe C PROGRA COMMON Nokia MPAPI MPAPI s exe C PROGRA COMMON PCSuite Services SERVIC EXE C PROGRA Belkin BLUETO BTSTAC EXE C PROGRA Nokia PCSUIT BROADC EXE C PROGRA Nokia PCSUIT SCRFS exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN ymsgr tray exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C DOCUME Grant LOCALS Temp Temporary Directory for hijackthis zip HijackThis exe C WINDOWS svchost exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http education dellnet com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cust ch search html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cust ch search html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http education dellnet com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http red clientapps yahoo com cust www yahoo com R - URLSearchHook no name - CFBFAE - A - D - CB- C FD - no file O - BHO no name - SOFTWARE - no file O - BHO... Read more

A:Trojan.cache.cache Removal Problems... Please Help!

Please print out or save this page to your desktop in order to assist you when carrying out the following instructions.

Notes
Update Ewido Security Suite, Do not run it yet

Before you do anything else, please create a folder for HijackThis and put it in a permanent folder (like C:\HJT) instead of the Temp folder. This is required because HijackThis will create backups and we don't want them to be deleted.

Boot Into Safe Mode
Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up (and choose Safe Mode from the list). In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work.

View Hidden Files and Folders
Go to My Computer >Tools >Folder Options >View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled. Also make sure that the System Files and Folders are showing / visible. Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files option.

Potential Uninstallations
Click > Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs and uninstall the following programs:

Spyware Killer - It?s rogueware (or known to be rogueware in the past) and we highly recommend that you uninstall it. Rogue/Suspect means that these products are of unknown, questionable, or dubious value as anti-spyware protection.

Stop NT Service

Part1 Click Start>Run, type services.msc into the Open editbox and click the Ok button.
Locate the " Microsoft Configuration Loader " service and double-click on it to open the Properties dialog.
Click the Stop button.
In the Startup type dropdown select Disabled.
Click the Apply button and then the Ok button.
Do the same for Microsoft Windows
Close the Services window
Part 2 In HijackThis go to config >> Misc. Tools >> Delete an NT Service...
Copy/paste the line below into the text field:
Microsoft Configuration Loader
Click "OK" and then "NO" when is asks you if you want to reboot.
DO THE SAME FOR Microsoft Windows
Again Do Not Reboot yet

Start HijackThis Fix
From your current HijackThis Screen click "back" at bottom right, and then "scan" at bottom left.
Check the following entries (make sure you do not miss any)

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus...rch/search.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus...rch/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus...//www.yahoo.com
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - SOFTWARE - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tkbshesa] C:\WINDOWS\rqpafz.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zzb2] c:\WINDOWS\System32\zzb2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wogjvglagr] C:\WINDOWS\System32\bchvpezl.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpyKiller] C:\Program Files\SpyKiller\spykiller.exe /startup
O16 - DPF: {F5192746-22D6-41BD-9D2D-1E75D14FBD3C} - http://216.65.38.226/crack.CAB
O16 - DPF: {FDDCE9FF-1FC6-413C-80B1-37B101FDA1D4} - http://download.buddylinks.net/ShellInstaller.cab
O23 - Service: Microsoft Configuration Loader - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe
O23 - Service: Microsoft Windows - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe

Please remember to close all other windows, including browsers then click Fix checked.

Run Downloaded Programs
Run a Full system scan in Ewido Security Suite When Finished SAVE THE LOG!!

File/Folder Deletions
Delete the following Files indicated in RED and Folders indicated in BLUE if they still exist.

C:\WINDOWS\rqpafz.exe
c:\WINDOWS\System32\zzb2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bchvpezl.exe
C:\Program Files\SpyKiller\
C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe

Reboot your system in Normal Mode.

Please run a Scan at any 2 of the Following sites
Symantec/Norton
Trend Micro
BitDefender On-... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/trojan-cache-cache-removal-problems-please-help-67653.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Native application that are now modern apps
As I mentioned, Internet Explorer is being replaced with Microsoft Edge in Windows 10. However, it's not the only native app being replaced by a modern app in Windows 10. The good old Search tool is being replaced by Cortana, and Calculator is being replaced with a modern app of the same name (Figure A).

The new Calc UI looks totally fugly.

Article

A:Should Microsoft replace the rest of Windows' native applications with modern ap

Well I think Microsoft want to slowly but surely move all apps to modern apps. But they will have WIN32 apps in the store when Windows 10 is released.  Photoshop modern will be coming out with Windows 10,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577742/should-microsoft-replace-the-rest-of-windows-native-applications-with-modern-ap/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to update my Windows 10 system to the Anniversary edition.
When the installation process reaches 100% and the system is about to reboot I always get the message 'Modern setup host has stopped working' . All I can do is press OK, quitting the installation.
After several google searches I tried to:
perform a clean boot,unplug all the USB devices,update from the .ISO,disable graphic and sound cards
No way. Modern setup host won't work properly.
I don't have any antivirus or firewall installed.

Any idea on how to complete the installation?
Thanks

A:Windows 10 Anniversary - Modern setup host has stopped working

Hi, have you seen this? Seems to offer more than you've tried.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/modern...orking-windows

On a more prosaic level, do you have any unallocated disk space on your system drive?
And around 20Gb spare, allowing working space + the creation of Windows.old in your Windows partition.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/64201-windows-10-anniversary-modern-setup-host-has-stopped-working.html
Relevancy 45.15%

After Nvidia GeForce Experience crashed during a GPU driver update, my modern apps (Store, Images, Groove, etc..) do not start and return error message "The app didn't start". My start button is unclickable and my search bar does not wor either.In event viewer I see an event ID 5973 from the source "Apps", stating that the activation of -some modern app-.App failed. This event happens every time I try to launch a modern app, click the start button or use the search bar.I have tried removing the TileDataLayer, replacing with a fresh one from another user, re-registering Store apps, clearing the Store cache, rebooting various times, and signing in with different users. The issue persists on other users as well.Is there anything I haven't tried yet that could be worth a shot?Don't worry if plan A fails, there are 25 more letters in the alphabet ;)

A:Windows 10 desktop Modern apps and taskbar no longer works

Obvious suggestion, but I don't see it mentioned. Have you opened an Administrative Command Prompt and ran:dism /online /cleanup-image /restoreHealth
sfc /scannowAlso, have you tried creating a new user account, to check if the modern apps on that account work? Outside of that, I'd need to know the details of the events in question. An error number would help.How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/windows-10-desktop-modern-apps-and-taskbar-no-longer-works/710.html
Relevancy 45.15%

HI, i have a HP laptop with windows XP service pack 3 and just installed Modern Warfare 2. Now when i go to play i click on single player and it goes to the intro the freezes. SO i hit task manager and end the unresponsive program and then a blue screen pops up for half a second then windows restarts. After i boot up i get the Windows has recovered from a serious error ...... What can i do? It's also a hospital laptop. I really need help...Thanks

A:Windows Reboots when in the middle of Call of Duty 6 Modern Warfare 2

Go into your BIOS and turn off anything that says reboot on error.

I can't remember if this is Halt on All Errors or Halt on None or something like that. Your BIOS may not have this option, which would be a shame... but that would at least get us the bluescreen you're looking at which would help us to diagnose your problem.

What are the specifications for your system?
How awesome is your CPU?
Your RAM?
Your Video Card?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-reboots-when-in-the-middle-of-call-of-duty-6-modern-warfare-2-a-433803.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey guys So I live in Ireland and when installing Windows I set some language choices to Irish keyboard and date Windows wrong language Apps Modern title Changing UI installation - after have time but language to English UK In previous installations of Windows such as Windows this did not make apps show up Changing language after installation - Windows Modern UI Apps have wrong title with Irish language titles After removing Ireland from the Language options gt Control Panel - Language some apps went back to displaying in English But other Modern UI Changing language after installation - Windows Modern UI Apps have wrong title apps like the news still show up in Irish titles Have I missed a setting of some sort I have attached a screenshot of my language options just in-case i'm missing something PS I have already rebooted a few times since changing these options Thanks EDIT Fixed The latest batch of Windows updates seems to have kicked it back into English Thanks anyway nbsp Screenshot AM jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp Screenshot AM jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp metroScreen AM jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads

A:Changing language after installation - Windows Modern UI Apps have wrong title

Hi,
Glad to hear / read that all is well
Stay well and surf  safe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535265/changing-language-after-installation-windows-modern-ui-apps-have-wrong-title/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi Community

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise and for over a month now all my modern applications are not working (crash)

I have over time tried a couple of solutions but nothing solves my problem.

Steps I've already tried to solve the issue are as follows; Windows updates and restart,
System restore, 
Delete the Cache content, and run the wsreset.exe

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2b6759d2-a71e-459d-a273-a12d3de6077c/all-modern-apps-not-working-store-photo-calculator-etc-on-windows-10-enterprise?forum=TechnetSandboxForum
Relevancy 43.86%

I guess the question I have is pretty simple but if someone could go into detail about it I would greatly appreciate it.

When it comes to hard drives, other than the obvious cache size what is the difference between a HD with 16MB cache and one with 32MB cache, and will I be able to notice the difference during gaming or high load situations?

I am building a new machine so any info would be awesome.

Thanks.

A:16MB Cache and 32MB Cache??

as you probably know the bigger the cache the more data the HD can have ready for processing , there was a general feeling after tests i saw last year that anything over 8MB made very little differance in terms of hard drive performance

and as for gaming you certainly wont see any differance in performance unless you have a low end rig and very little memory and i dont suppose your gonna be building yourself one of those

that said my knowlage only really stretches to gaming as for other apps , video editing etc im thinking a larger cache may be an advantage , if its not too much more go for the 32 , if your building a glorified X Box get either

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/234829-16mb-cache-32mb-cache.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I am using an older computer about years old running Windows XP and IE version Years ago I used to delete the Temporary Internet Files folder about two or three times a year whenever I could no longer do those things that are prevented by having a full browser cache But over the last couple of years I anything will in IE Windows not cache XP have noticed that I have had to do this increasingly often - eventually once per month then once per week and now it appears that nothing is being cached even immediately after I empty the aforementioned folder Since I maintain a web site that contains a lot of large images this is greatly affecting my productivity I have and IE will not cache anything in Windows XP have always had the quot amount of disk space to use quot for quot temporary internet Files folder quot IE will not cache anything in Windows XP cranked up to MB which is the maximum allowed slider bar won t go any further to the right - I am sure that I am not filling up that much space between emptyings Overall hard drive space is still vastly unused GB of GB not in use I did have a virus recently - I think I might have eliminated it - but this problem was building before the virus How can I get IE to start re-caching Thanks in advance

A:IE will not cache anything in Windows XP

Hello UpsideDownFaceBoy,I see that you have an HJT log posted here: We do not allow more than one topic for the same computer and the same issue as this causes confusion, and in this case may make the disinfection process more difficult.This leaves you with a choice:1) Have this thread reopened and moved to the Web-browsing forum and the HiJack This log topic deletedOR2) Keep this thread closed and wait for assistance in the HiJack This log forum. Please note that that forum is VERY busy.Please send a Private Message indicating your choice.Assuming you wish assistance in the HiJack This forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond. Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possibleTo avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/222807/ie-will-not-cache-anything-in-windows-xp/
Relevancy 42.14%

My uncle has an old system i built 9 years back, instead of going for a new build he/we decided to buy 2nd hand upgrades

e.g. we upgraded from 2Gb (2x1) 800Mhz to 4Gb (2x2) OC'd @ 1000Mhz for ?14 ,
upgraded from an old 2.2Ghz Intel E4500 dual-core (2Mb L2 / 800Mhz FSB) to an Intel 2.4Ghz Quad2Core Q8200 (4Mb / 1333Mhz FSB) for ?18 then overclocked it by 10%,
upgraded from onboard Intel G31/33 GPU to a dedicated 1Gb 710GT (192 cuda cores @ 954Mhz/1800Mhz/64-Bit) for ?23

not bad for ?55?

we now need to remove the bottle neck in his 5 year old HDD Seagate (which is healthy) and to make it cheap & avoid reinstallation we wanted to buy a cheap 32Gb sandisk CacheReady SSD but we have read all over that the software doesn't work on W10 and nor does other caching SSD's software

unless someone on here knows better?

thanks

A:Is there a way o use an SSD as a Cache on Windows 10 without RST?

cache is a eMMC drive ...
you can get a small SATA SSD drive for the same price point

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/52406-there-way-o-use-ssd-cache-windows-10-without-rst.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I am afraid to delete my call history Will this delete my contacts as well?

A:If I delete my call history on my Windows 8 phone will this delete my contacts also?

Deleting call history doesn't delete Contacts on Windows 8 phone

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-8/406356-if-i-delete-my-call-history-my-windows-8-phone-will-delete-my-contacts-also.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello ,

i have some webasites in internet ,

when i change NS ( name server ) of domains , it`s take around 3-4 days to be set and then we can ping the new ip ,

i know that it might take 24Hours to be set but i can ping and see new Server when i`m using windows XP in the same computer and also my laptop which has connected to the same ADSL

So , The problem is not because of my isp , i have removed all the IE cookies and history files , and tried all the below ways but still having same problem

Remove Cookies & History files
CTRL + F5
Flush DNS command in CMD (C:\>ipconfig /flushdns )
is there any cache service/server available in win 7 ?
Let me know is there any any another option in win7 to solve the problem ?
Thank U

A:windows or ISP cache ip address

Quote: Originally Posted by jestin

when i change NS ( name server ) of domains , it`s take around 3-4 days to be set and then we can ping the new ip ,

If you can't even ping the IP address then it's got nothing to do with name resolution, or perhaps that's not what you meant?

If it is a name resolution thing after all, IE does have an internal DNS cache but again that shouldn't affect your results with ping.exe, so it's nothing to do with IE.

You can disable the DNS cache this way - from an elevated CMD prompt: NET STOP DNSCACHE

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/29557-windows-isp-cache-ip-address.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello techs! As most probably you all have understood from the title I'd like to dedicate a separate 60gb memory for my windows' caching needs. Is there a way to do it?
Thanks a bunchas
Zaffir
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16326 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238122 MB, Free - 154637 MB; D: Total - 29994 MB, Free - 29903 MB; E: Total - 122620 MB, Free - 104525 MB; F: Total - 150240 MB, Free - 29015 MB; G: Total - 154994 MB, Free - 9325 MB; H: Total - 99998 MB, Free - 721 MB; I: Total - 108470 MB, Free - 32322 MB; J: Total - 29995 MB, Free - 29903 MB; M: Total - 61310 MB, Free - 61160 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z97-P
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

A:How to install ssd as windows 8.1 cache

it all depends on what you mean by 'caching'. What is being 'cached' and for what purpose?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-install-ssd-as-windows-8-1-cache.1147836/
Relevancy 41.71%

I have no records,except localhost, in my Windows cache.

I used this command to check

ipconfig /displaydns

I made some DNS requests today and obtained records but for some reason I can't display them. What is happening to the records?

I'm not using a Web browser, because I know that web browsers have their own DNS cache.

I'm strictly talking about Windows DNS cache.

A:Windows DNS resolver cache

Out of interest, what are you looking for in the cache?

IE: Why do you wish to display it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-dns-resolver-cache.693665/
Relevancy 41.71%

When I used to use Windows 98 someone recommended doing a DOS level cleanup and that worked better than the basic Windows 98 cleanup. So, that's what I did. But, XP doesn't have a DOS startup option. So, I tried typying CMD in the Run box and I was able to access DOS but I'm thinking it isn't pure DOS mode like in Windows 98. For example when I typed in the first command, "smartdrv" it would not recognize it.

Is there a more thorough way of cleaning the Windows XP cache other than DOS or can someone tell me how to access pure DOS so I can try and do a better job of cleaning out my cache. Thanks

Beagle

Relevancy 41.71%

is there a way to modify the amount of cache in windows 10 as I only have 4 gb ram in a win10 64 bit system?the system seems to be so slow and items like shockwave etc either time out or error out after the last few updates. also the whole system seems to be a dog!!!!!! is this another win98 se/ vista pgm. waiting to hear from other techies out there.
capt. Jack

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/64190-windows-10-cache-modification.html
Relevancy 41.28%

My modern apps no longer will run in my windows 8.1 Pro laptop.
The two that I use are Microsoft Solitaire Collection and the Weather app.
I don't want to uninstall and reinstall them (also for the umteenth time), because I DO NOT want to lose my Solitaire collection stats, 500 wins out of 500 plays in Freecell.
What to do!
I know it's just a stupid game, but, still, there should be some way to fix this without having to uninstall and reinstall, again!
Or, if there is a way to preserve the stats in an uninstall/reinstall scenario, that would work for me.  In the past, the stats get reset in an uninstall/reinstall of Microsoft Solitaire Collection.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Charles S. Cotton

A:My "Modern" Apps have stopped running for the umteenth time in my Windows 8.1 Pro

The answer turns out to be quite simple.  When I added the "Authenticated Users" user in the security tab for my Users folder, and propagated the changes down through the directory tree, any folder that had the ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES (or
some other metro based user account) user got hosed.  (The ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES user got dropped).
This, combined with the fact that, I guess, the metro apps run under some user other than the logged in user or depend on a software component that does the same, AND that when folder access is denied to the metro app, the program just closes with no error
message, created the problem.
I understand that the metro app programmers are just too cool to need to bother with such error popups ...
Once ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES is added, the metro apps start working again!

Charles S. Cotton

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fa1f6a3d-a702-4091-bd85-c1c06de2daf2/my-quotmodernquot-apps-have-stopped-running-for-the-umteenth-time-in-my-windows-81-pro?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 41.28%

I am working with a netbook containing Windows Starter Last week I created a folder in C Program Files Why did I do this Well for many years I have had several old 7 using Windows from program of cache? version XP computers set up this way for an MS Access database Windows 7 using old version of program from cache? and all activity occurs in this folder So I copied the access database to this folder everything works fine This week I have an update of that program I do my work from another computer so I overwrote it When I run it it's running the old version I tried deleting it and emptying the recycle bin then copying the new program again When I run it it's still the old version So I instead copy the new file to the desktop and run it from there and it's the right version so I drag it to the folder in Program Files open it and it's the old version If I rename it to anything but the original name then it will run as the new version but it seems like it is reading the old version of the program from a cache of some sort I also tried deleting the entire folder and recreating it but that didn't make any difference Does anyone know what's going on here and how to fix it without using a different folder This database is run on several computers using this folder configuration and I would prefer not to have to change that for the sake of this one computer Thanks for your help

A:Windows 7 using old version of program from cache?

Richo,

First, welcome to seven forums.

Now you made a very poor choice for a folder name.

Program Files is a rather sacred name to Windows.

Did you delete the Win 7 Program Files folder? That's a no-no.

The program that you want to run. The name of the program is?

Is there a Win 7 version of this program?

Some old programs can run in "compatibility mode".

Other than your problem with a particular program, is your netbook functioning correctly?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/121152-windows-7-using-old-version-program-cache.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Every time I restart Windows 7, it has to rebuild my icon cache. I say this because every time I open a folder with files that have icon pictures on them, they load for about 5 seconds. This is also true for icons in the Start Menu.

I'm on a Crucial M4 SSD and disabled Superfetch as it is recommended to do so with these new SSDs. I read that Superfetch has to do something with this issue, is this true?

I already tried rebuilding the icon cache database to no avail. Please help me. Thanks.

Relevancy 41.28%

So, I recently upgraded to Windows 8. And I noticed I started having some issues with performance in games (stuttering, etc). My question was, is it normal for Windows to eventually cache all the RAM available? It started out at 1GB, then started creeping up and has never once gone down in size.

Any help would be appreciated, coming from Windows 7 using similar settings, I did not run into this problem.

A:Upgraded to Windows 8, insane RAM cache.

sounds like you have a memory leak on one the programs running, possibly the game your having issues with.

check with the games site and look for any updates to it as their may be some compatability issues with windows 8.

and do that for all your applications that don't natively support windows 8.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/16015-upgraded-windows-8-insane-ram-cache.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Is there a way to increase the icon cache so that explorer could display folders more quickly. Currently, explorer tries to re-read folders and it slows down browsing folders . Any idea ?

A:How to increase icon cache in windows 8 ?

Try Jonathan's solution but it is for windows 7, it may work.

Increase Icon Cache Size - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/15137-how-increase-icon-cache-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 41.28%

How can I find express cache drivers for Win8.1 ? I've been searching for long time but cannot find any. I assume it's already installed with Windows or what? I just want to use my SSD(24GB) as an express cache. I have an Ideapad y410p.

P.S. sometimes my SSD disappears like unplugged from the system or shutdown itself, why this is happening? Happened to anyone before?

Thanks in advance,

A:Express cache drivers for Windows 8.1 64-bit

Welcome to EightForums.

Did the acceleration cache not came Pre-set by Lenovo?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/39101-express-cache-drivers-windows-8-1-64-bit.html
Relevancy 41.28%

The thumbnail cache randomly deletes itself, which means I have to recreate hundreds of thumbnails. This has been my only problem with 7, since beta. I've now tried it out on rtm and it's still doing this. Clean install... I'm not running disk cleanup, haven't even installed ccleaner, so I have no idea what's going on. Anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it?

A:Windows 7 Thumbnail Cache Keeps Deleting Itself!

Yes, i have the exact same problem. I open a folder with pics or vids and it scans the files to create thumbs and get other meta data (picture dimentions, video run time, etc). If I close the folder and then a couple minutes later re-open it, the files are not rescanned, as it should be. But if I re-open the folder a couple of hours later or the next day, the entire folder is rescanned to create the thumbs. even though nothing in the folder has changed. WTF???

This happens on internal or external drives and with drives containing any media; music, vids, or pics.

If you know of any solution please post!

Dan

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/21162-windows-7-thumbnail-cache-keeps-deleting-itself.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Every time I turn my laptop on, I lose my thumbnails and it has to reload them. Seriously frustrating. I've tried today to go through a few refreshes/reinstalls, and I'll occasionally be able to keep them, but then I just start losing them again.

I've seen a few mentions of this - another thread on here, for example - but no functional solution. I've basically given up, and have gone about setting my laptop up fully again, but I thought I'd ask as maybe SOMEONE out there knows how to sort this. Thanks.

A:Windows 8 resetting thumbnail cache

Here's a thought, #curtains, do you a program like CCleaner running at startup that is set to clean your system. It may be set to always clear your thumbnail cache by default.

John

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/26666-windows-8-resetting-thumbnail-cache.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I'm not having any problems with Windows Update, but I read that Win stores old installed updates-

"Exactly" how do I clean this Huge cache, and how long to wait after a Win Update (Win just released out of cycle security... updates, that I installed yesterday!)?

A:How to clean old Windows Updates cache, and...?

Hello Scott,

The tutorial below can help show you how to cleanup old outdated updated in Windows 7.

Windows Updates - Remove Outdated Updates in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/379185-how-clean-old-windows-updates-cache.html
Relevancy 41.28%

This is for windows 8 and 8.1 update issues.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH3jJ1tpCDgYou will also find some related tips about repair to Windows.I have not done this myself. 

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,150685.0.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi. My users launch a programm from a shared folder. That programm gets updates time to time. But the next day users restart programm they get errors like dll were not updated. Client station restart helps. Everything works good if another network path is
used to the same folder. "Offline files" feature is not used in my network.

What could cache old dll files? How to get rid of such caching?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2d456a33-2bd4-45e7-941a-680020a2ded9/does-windows-cache-dll-from-shared-folders?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi there,

I've recently applied a set of 3 different wallpapers. Now i've deleted the wallpapers but the wallpapers are still cached on my computer. I want to delete it but I cant find the location of the cached wallpaper.

Can someone help me?

(See the image and red lines)

Thanks in advance

A:WIndows 8.1 lockscreen wallpaper cache

Hi cashher, welcome to Windows EightForums!

C:\Windows\Web\Screen

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/53870-windows-8-1-lockscreen-wallpaper-cache.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi guys,

I don't know whether I should be posting this here or in the Installation and setup department, but anyway

I am doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my friend's new Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, which has a 500GB HDD with a 16GB SSD (Flash) Cache (Samsung 530U3B i5-2467M, 4096MB, 516GB, pink (NP-530U3B-A04DE) | Geizhals Deutschland). It's my first time dealing with such a drive so I am wondering where to install Windows - on the SSD (Flash) cache drive or the HDD drive.

Furthermore, if I install it on the HDD, how do I utilize the 16GB flash cache which is meant to speed up the system?

Thank you,

Jure

A:Windows 7 installation on a HDD with Flash Cache

16GB is too small for Win 7 so install to the 500GB drive. I don't know how you would make use of the 16GB drive, perhaps place swap file (hiberfile.sys) there? Hopefully other folks will drop by with suggestions.

Maybe you can persuade ReadyBoost to use it?: ReadyBoost - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/241716-windows-7-installation-hdd-flash-cache.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi,

In my windows 7, I tried to find cache memory in system information but I could not find there. I wonder then how to find it.

A:how to check computer cache memory in windows 7

Are you speaking of Internet Cache? You can delete your temporary internet files (cache) in IE by going to Tools/Internet Options/Browsing History/Delete. Other then that RAM cache is refreshed after each reboot of the computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-check-computer-cache-memory-in-windows-7-a-615936.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I really do not know how to define the following issue or where to place it on the boards. So if I did not place it post it in the proper forum, I hope a mod will move it. TY

When I attempt to log into my google G-Mail account the log in window populates with an old e-mail addy and password. I would prefer it to populate with my current data so I do not have to delete the lines and reenter.

How do I get rid of that old data? Is it a windows issue?, A Firefox issue?, or, a Google issue?

Thanks for your time.

Relevancy 40.85%

I remember having a cache folder for Firefox on Windows XP that I used to grab cache out of like FLV files etc but I either forgot the directory or it doesn't exist anymore I get up to quot C Documents and Settings User Application Data Mozilla Firefox Profiles quot Then I choose one of the profiles I got in there and search thru all the folders but can't find anything that jumps out and says quot This is it This is the cache folder quot Am I having Firefox Location XP Windows [SOLVED] on Cache trouble finding the Firefox cache directory on Windows XP Am I looking for Firefox cache folder in the wrong directories Did Mozilla change [SOLVED] Firefox Cache Location on Windows XP Firefox cache folder directory on [SOLVED] Firefox Cache Location on Windows XP Windows XP Does the directory not exist anymore Should I downgrade to an earlier version of Firefox where it did make a folder I could browse my cache in on Windows XP I'm using Firefox version and Windows XP Service Pack I was thinking if I should post this here or in the Firefox section but I really wanna ask here cause I don't wanna be told to do about cache cause honestly I don't like how that's setup it's hard to find stuff and I can't arrange files by size etc so I'd rather have a familiar setup by viewing Firefox cache on Windows XP

A:[SOLVED] Firefox Cache Location on Windows XP

Try this link !

http://www.digitalmediaminute.com/article/626

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-firefox-cache-location-on-windows-xp-434809.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I stream launchcast all day long. However, when my HDD (5400 RPM) is under stress (virus scan, defrag, etc.), the stream is all jittery and unbearable to listen to while the HDD activity is going on. Yes, I have already tried optimizing my HDD using Diskkeeper and System Mechanic v6 - still same jerky problem. Going to a faster HDD is not an option.

I have a 100MB RAM drive (2 GB total RAM). I would like for Windows to stream to my RAM drive instead of the physical disk. How can I make this happen? Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-move-windows-media-player-cache.509765/
Relevancy 40.85%

I couldn't edit a word document on my phone because it wasn't the latest format. I made a couple of changes and converted the document to the 2016 format on my desktop. I then brought up onedrive on my phone and clicked on the newly formatted file (change date showed the new date). My phone brings up the old document. When searching for a solution, Office cache interfering with the Onedrive cache was mentioned but no hint as to how to fix the problem. Anybody had this problem and fixed it?
Lumia 1520 running latest software with office 365 home subscription. Desktop latest updates, same office 365 subscription.
Thanks!

A:Is there a way to clear the office cache on my windows 10 phone?

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question I couldn't edit a word document on my phone because it wasn't the latest format. I made a couple of changes and converted the document to the 2016 format on my desktop. I then brought up onedrive on my phone and clicked on the newly formatted file (change date showed the new date). My phone brings up the old document. When searching for a solution, Office cache interfering with the Onedrive cache was mentioned but no hint as to how to fix the problem. Anybody had this problem and fixed it?
Lumia 1520 running latest software with office 365 home subscription. Desktop latest updates, same office 365 subscription.
Thanks! did you try deleting the old file using file explorer? Or downloading the new doc from onedrive>
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434232-there-way-clear-office-cache-my-windows-10-phone.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I'm using the offline files feature in Win7 (much better implementation, btw - kudos!) and I've run into a problem:  the CSC is using up all the drive space on C:\.  I'd like to move the CSC to D:\, however I've been unable to do so.I've seen this posted here previously (2/2009), however the response was to follow the instructions from Vista (using migwiz.exe).  When I launch migwiz.exe, I have no option of selecting the offline files as outlined in the Vista instructions (http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2006/12/12/moving-the-offline-files-cache-in-windows-vista.aspx).Are there any other ways of doing this?Thanks!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/17783c3f-bce9-4fda-9544-818786884a91/how-to-move-offline-files-cache-in-windows-7?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 40.85%

The file which originally caused my computer to have problems was quot crack exe quot I thought it was a CD crack for an old game I don't have the CD for at college - big mistake and I've been paying for it now for several days despite hours of working to fix it While connected to the internet I still get pop-ups every once in a Virtumonde, WINDOWS\system32\core.cache.dsk while to random Virtumonde, WINDOWS\system32\core.cache.dsk websites - it was worse when I first quot installed quot the file I have used Ad-Aware as well as Spybot Search amp Destroy to try removing the adware virus I also did some registry searching and erased any quot crack exe quot files that should not be in my registry I did some other research on this adware virus and noticed it creates random dll files so I also used CurrProcess cprocess exe to try and find any suspect dlls but I wasn't sure which to remove amp decided against messing around too much SB S amp D keeps finding Virtumonde and core cache dsk every time I restart my computer and run the scan Trying to quot fix errors quot causes SB to crash I will appreciate any and all help Thank you Here is my HijackThis log file I originally had HJT on my desktop but I noticed another person had a similar problem amp was instructed to change the name of HJT's executable to Hcheck exe and move it to another folder so I did the same Also I use a IBM ThinkPad T Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System ibmpmsvc exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system S EvMon exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE c Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C WINDOWS System QCONSVC EXE C WINDOWS system RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system TpKmpSVC exe C Program Files IBM ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery rrservice exe C Program Files IBM ThinkVantage Common Scheduler tvtsched exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center SymWSC exe C Program Files IBM ThinkVantage Common Logger logmon exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C Program Files IBM ThinkVantage Client Security Solution cssauth exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files IBM ThinkVantage Client Security Solution pwmgr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C WINDOWS system TpShocks exe C PROGRA ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPHKMGR exe C Program Files ThinkPad ConnectUtilities QCWLICON EXE C Program Files ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPONSCR exe C Program Files ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TpScrex exe C PROGRA ThinkPad UTILIT EzEjMnAp Exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C PROGRAM FILES ATI TECHNOLOGIES ATI CONTROL PANEL ATIPTAXX EXE C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files IBM ThinkVantage SafeGuard PrivateDisk pdservice exe C WINDOWS system RunDll exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files IBM Messages By IBM ibmmessages exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Trend Micro Hcheck exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - no file O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dl... Read more

A:Virtumonde, WINDOWS\system32\core.cache.dsk

Please download ComboFix
Save to the Desktop <<< Important!!

Close or disable all AntiVirus and AntiMalware programs so that they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Double-click combofix.exe to run the program
Follow the prompts.
(Don't click on the window while the program is running, it may cause your system to stall.)

When finished, a log, ComboFix.txt, is produced.

~~~~
Run HijackThis once again to obtain a new log.

~~~~
Please post the ComboFix.txt, and a new HijackThis log in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/virtumonde-windows-system32-core-cache-dsk-228618.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi guys I've had this problem since I got a new laptop with Windows The thumbnail cache resets I've reseting days keeps Windows 8.1 every 4 thumbnail cache tried the methods outlined here Prevent Windows File Explorer From Deleting Image Thumbnail Cache Fix Thumbnail Cache Automatic Deletion Problem in Windows - AskVG Basically I disabled deleting to the thumbnail cache folder and also removed automatic maintenance tasks However I still get my thumbnail cache deleted every once in a while It won't delete when I restart my computer and the deletion time seems random so I started jutting Windows 8.1 keeps reseting thumbnail cache every 4 days down the time the cache deletes I'm on my computer almost all the time so I can tell when the cache is getting deleted It happens that the computer seems to be high on activity with the fan buzzing When that happens if I open a picture folder all the thumbnails have been deleted and are rebuilding slowly It seems that there's some background activity running Based on the dates I took down it seems that this cache deleting business occurs every four days Is there a way to check what programs have been running every four days Does anybody have a solution to this problem Thanks all

A:Windows 8.1 keeps reseting thumbnail cache every 4 days

Do you have any 3rd party cleaning tools or Disk Cleanup set to run when it reaches a certain quota? What is your disk space like, are you running out of storage space? Disk Cleanup could be triggered automatically if you are running low on disk space...

Check event viewer. Is there anything in there that sticks out?

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/50245-windows-8-1-keeps-reseting-thumbnail-cache-every-4-days.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I'm trouble shooting an issue I'm having with my DVD drive, it's just not reading the DVD. It reads other DVDs fine, and the DVDs I'm trying to run works fine on other systems.

I have some instructions to do what I want to try, but it seems they're for Windows 9x, so the option isn't in the same place as XP.

In the event that your CD-ROM drive cannot read the CD, you may want to reduce the buffer and optimization settings on your CD-ROM drive. To do this, right-click on My Computer. Select Properties, select the Performance tab, select the File System, and select CD-ROM. Decrease the Supplemental Cache Size and set the optimization to No Read-Ahead.

I looked around the web for a little bit, and I can't find anything similar for XP. Help anyone?
Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adjusting-dvd-cd-rom-supplemental-cache-size-in-windows-xp.753426/