Windows Support Forum

Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin?

Q: Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin?

Hi Guys I'm new to this forum as in this is my first post so please be gentle with Admin? Standard Account to Hidden (Admin) Transferring me if this has been answered before So anyway I have a standard account with admin privileges turned off UAC etc but it doesn't seem to be elevated all the time for example I still see the quot admin shield Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? quot icon next to some programs on my desktop Most of the time I have to right click and select quot Run as Administrator quot from the popup menu and also Windows still asks me when something needs admin mode and do I want to continue I have Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? activated the hidden true admin account on my PC and when I log into that everything is elevated and great no more prompts etc which is what I want But the problem is it looks very basic I want to be able to transfer all my settings from my standard admin account to my true admin account is this possible I've tried going to system- gt advanced system settings- gt user profiles to copy the account across but the copy button is grayed out If this is not possible is there any way to make this standard admin account the full type which is always elevated Hope someone can help me I'm getting very annoyed having to give permission for things I want to do all the time Thanks in advance -milw rm

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin?

Hello milw0rm, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You could use the tutorial below to elevate your standard administrator account to have the same elevated rights as the built-in elevated Administrator account.

Be warned though, that all Metro Store apps and the Store will not work in an elevated account.

User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/16240-transferring-standard-admin-account-hidden-admin.html
Relevancy 95.48%

I ve just installed a new copy of Windows Ultimate By default the first user account as declared in windows setup is set at administrator level I want to run this main account as a standard user but when I went to change this in account settings the option to change the account to standard was greyed out I decided to enable the administrator account to change this hidden user, account Run account with standard as main admin computer management local Run main account as standard user, with admin account hidden users and groups un-ticked account is disabled I logged on as administrator then changed the main account to standard As the Administrator account is now enabled it shows on the welcome screen I don t want this I went back and disabled it running computer management as admin in the now standard account and re-ticked account is disabled technically this should be how it was before I touched it except the main account is now at standard user level rather than administrator level The problem i have now is when trying to run anything on the standard account that needs admin rights i get the UAC box asking to enter admin password which is blank but there is no administrator icon or password field and the yes button is greyed out How can I have my main account as standard user the administrator account not showing on welcome screen but allowing it admin to authorise actions on the standard account that required admin rights via UAC i e when UAC comes up I can click yes to run as administrator At the moment the correct process happens but yes is greyed out when the admin account is disabled When the admin account is enabled this works yes button not greyed out but the administrator account shows on the welcome screen which i don t want

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482436/run-main-account-as-standard-user-with-admin-account-hidden/
Relevancy 108.79%

Hey, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop and I need help getting my Standard user account back to Administrator. I can't run certain programs and I also can't install and uninstall anything. I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restore. I have already tried Safe Mode and I can't enable and built in admin either. Please help me! Thank you!

A:How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

How are you trying to change the type of account?I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restoreDo you mean System Restore? If you are, you don't need the installation disk to do this.To use System Restore click on the start orb. In the search box type in System Restore. In the list of results click on System Restore, if you are prompted for an administrator password type it in.Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479959/how-can-i-put-my-standard-user-account-back-to-administrator-when-the-aspnet-machine-account-is-admin/
Relevancy 108.36%

Hi I basically had accounts on my computer one being quot Administrator quot w Admin rights one quot test quot Standard User rights and one more quot User quot that is the one I use most frequently with Admin rights When I Windows stuck locked, account account. on;y a admin 7 standard with is last used it last Friday the User account was still present and all my programs were working fine However when I came back to office today I found that the User account was missing from the welcome screen and only the quot Administrator quot and quot test quot account were Windows 7 admin account is locked, on;y stuck with a standard account. there Somehow I could not login to the quot Administrator quot account When I logged into the quot test quot account all the program shortcuts were blank Firefox Adobe Reader Etc and only IE and the default windows programs would work I suspected that there might be a virus but I couldn't install anything because I did not have the admin priviledges My question is How do I get back into my admin account is there any way to install anti-virus programs by going around the admin account to help solve this issue In a nutshell I'm basically stuck with a standard user account and I can't do anything with it Any help would really be greatly appreciated Thanks Just to add I tried using System Restore on the Standard account but when I click quot Open System Restore quot nothing happens

A:Windows 7 admin account is locked, on;y stuck with a standard account.

First off if you actually named your accounts Administrator and User then that may be part of your problem (Maybe not with the account named User but certainly with the one named Administrator).

Windows already has a built in account named Administrator, even though it is normally disabled by default. Creating a NAMED account using the name Administrator is not a good Idea.

Start by booting into Safe Mode and see if the system boots to the built in, but normally disable, Administrator account. If it does create New Admin rights NAMED account, using some other name then Administrator. From that boot normally and log into that new account and see if you can access your files from the other accounts. You may need to take ownership of those other accounts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/254585-windows-7-admin-account-locked-y-stuck-standard-account.html
Relevancy 108.36%

Hi does anyone know what happens if I mistakenly deleted a user account When I open my computer then right click on the quot This pc quot there is a option called quot Manage quot Then under manage there are user accounts I mistakenly deleted the quot Administrators quot group from my current account Only left is standard user group The admin account is password protected and I have the password Is it possible to log into the admin account and changed Accidentaly user account account to admin standard change promote back my current account I did try to right click quot manage quot but I get this window attached file with no place to put the password That is slightly annoying I was trying to reassign myself back in the admin group I was thinking of making an account which can modify all items such adding hardware and items under quot Device manager quot etc but just limit to not being able to just make a new admin full access account Seems that deleting the admin solves the Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account not being able to make a new account but in the process I'm locked out from the admin settings Is it possible to create a super-user account just limiting not being able to make new user accounts and have access to all such as device manager It would be nice to not have to log into admin account just to check newly installed hardware Currently on standard user I am unable to go to quot device manager quot and other admin based stuff with that admin shield logo Thanks

A:Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account

From desktop, hold CTRL+ALT then press DEL keyClick on Switch UserType: Administrator and enter the passwordOnce you are in, Win+X->Command Prompt(Admin)Type: net localgroup administrators username /add <======== replace username with your namesign out and sign back in with your name.

NOTE: In step 3, I Assume that you have the built in Admin turned on and you said you have the password.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47233-accidentaly-changed-admin-account-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi All,

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I have used the guide on how to enable and hide the in-built admin account and was successful however I found that after making the account I used to set up Windows 7 from admin to standard user and then disabling the in-built admin account the UAC setting would not correctly work, as it wanted admin privileges but it was not giving me the option to enter the admin password. The ok button would be greyed out.

Has anyone come across this before and if so what is the solution.

A:Admin and Standard Account Users

Never happened to me before, however, did you try going into safemode and sorting it out from there?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303016-admin-standard-account-users.html
Relevancy 107.5%

I want to change my first account from admin to standard, but you need to have atleast 1 admin account on available at the time, so since it was my only account, I made another and made that admin too, the I changed my first created account to standard. However! The first account can freely go from standard back to admin by itself...is there a way to stop this?

A:can you change an admin account to standard?

You cannot demote your root admin account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/38031-can-you-change-admin-account-standard.html
Relevancy 107.5%

I have always been running admin and even until now I run as admin. But, I have been doing a little bit of research and realize that using a standard account is a safer practice. I have never even used a standard account. Is using a standard account a better practice? Also, how does doing average task such as installing programs and updating work through the standard user account?

A:Using default admin account vs standard user account

Its safer to always run programs with lower privileges, and run as administrator when needed. Personally, I like my UAC set to the max. Basically, it stops programs from messing with your PC without permission.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192765-using-default-admin-account-vs-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi guys, 

Well I have recently created a new Admin and new Standard account as the last two were having issues. However when I opened up an APP on my Standard Account yesterday which was Login Studios and clicked the download link to search for new login screens, as well as opening up the login studio site it also opened up a Tab that I already had on my Admin account. And I could see the history from that one too. It was like I was back at my Admin account without even logging on or off or switching user accounts. I also tried this with another application and the same thing happened. 

Can anyone explain what this means please?

Thanks.

A:History From Admin Account Appeared in Standard Account

See if this helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528253/history-from-admin-account-appeared-in-standard-account/
Relevancy 106.64%

Accidentally posted this in a solved thread - sorry if you're re-seeing it I set up my Surface book by using the Win Admin account to install programs port my files from the old PC change preferences no Cortana hover-to-select single-click-to-open task bar and live-tiles customized and a lot of security settings changed Now that all these changes have been made some of which might have been difficult or unavailable in a Standard account I'm ready to settle into daily use of the PC Most articles say daily use should be done in a Standard account so I made a local one via Settings Accounts Family amp Other People Add Someone Else to This PC generate as account that a Standard Can same is Admin I my acct? the I don't have this person's sign-in info etc I thought the Admin account would act as a master template such that any Standard account it spawned would be the same minus the privileges that make the Admin account less safe for everyday use and that the Standard account could be further restricted once generated BUT A quick look at the new Standard account shows at least some of my customizations did not carry overy Cortana Can I generate a Standard account that is the same as my Admin acct? is on single-click double-click is required to select open and my taskbar and live tile arrangements are back to default And my files are not available I'm guessing this could be fixed by sharing So I'm assuming many of my other changes including security tweaks are off in the new Standard account too If I make a new Admin account or I switch my Standard to Admin then switch my original Admin account to Standard account as suggested in a recent thread then my daily use Standard account will be set up as I like it but the new Admin account won't be How can a generate a Standard account which is exactly like my Admin account of course it won't have the privileges but that's the point I don't want to make all the changes manually again and I read about cloning via Audit Mode Sysprep but even if this does what I want it's beyond me Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62006-can-i-generate-standard-account-same-my-admin-acct.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hi,

I want to know if it makes a difference whether I install applications under the Admin or standard account. When I upgraded from XP to W7, I decided to setup an admin and a standard account. I know computers well but all my life, I always had one account but now want to be more secure.

I have been installing some applications under the Admin account and others under the Standard.

Does it matter? Is there any difference? Will I have a problem doing one over the other?

Thanks

A:Installing apps - Admin or standard account?

mkarias, usually you will have to log in as admin or provide an admin password to install an application. In the end, Win7 will see you as the admin. Standard accounts can't do many changes to the computer (that is the idea actually)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/38512-installing-apps-admin-standard-account.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hello,

I installed Windows 8.1 two days ago and have set up two accounts, one Administrator tied to Microsoft and one local Standard account. For some reason, the Standard account keeps on changing its account type by itself to have full administrative rights. Any idea on how to fix this?

Also, do you think I even need two accounts? I am the sole user of this PC. Do you think I could just use the Admin account? Thank you!

A:Standard account changing back to Admin on its own

Hey mate,

For your last question, I usually use a standard [Microsoft] account, where I do all my work. The admin account lies dormant, until I need to install anything on it. I just install from my standard account, using the Admin account info when needed.
[Edit] The reason I do this is to add another layer of protection, to prevent malware access to the Admin account [/Edit]

For the first problem, you might try creating the two accounts over again, and delete the old ones. Make sure you have all important and recommended updates installed from control panel, and an antivirus (Either the built-in Defender or another you trust).

Let me know if this doesn't work for you, and I'll offer more advice. Take care.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/57331-standard-account-changing-back-admin-its-own.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hello, so I had set myself up as an administrator on my computer a while back, but I now I need to delete the account. But, I was being an adventurous idiot and set my account as a standard type, and because of this I can't access the control panel, the RUN, and CMD. Is there anyway for me to change myself back into an administrator or delete my account?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/delete-admin-account-windows-10-standard-4606302/
Relevancy 106.64%

Hi guys,

I'm having this weird problem with accounts. My mother has an administrator account on her PC and I've created a standard user account for my nephew to play his games on. The thing is, every time I install a new game/program the icon not only shows up on his account but on the Admin desktop as well. I've got around this by dragging the shortcut from the admin desktop to the corresponding user desktop, but I don't want to be doing this all the time. What did I do wrong when I created the standard account and is there anything I can do to prevent any future shortcuts on the standard account showing up on the administrator desktop?

A:Standard account creates shortcuts in admin

Unfortunately some installers just do not deal with multiple accounts well.

The only thing you can do is to always choose custom install on a program (which you should always do anyway to avoid bloatware) and if it has the option, to install for all users. Other then that, that is the way it is.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/334731-standard-account-creates-shortcuts-admin.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hello everyone. This is my first post on Ten Forums.

How can I create an admin account on a system that only has a standard user account? I suspect that the answer is that I can't, but I live in hope.

I can't provide specific details of the PC in question because it's my son's, and he lives 35+ miles away. He was running Win 8.1 but recently (in the past couple of days) upgraded to 10 and has run into a driver issue. He can't upgrade the driver because he doesn't have admin rights. I think he has an admin account on his system because I put it there, but it doesn't show up as a log-in option.

I've tried to enable the hidden admin account from a standard user acc on my system by running the command prompt as admin but am always to verify as admin - catch 22...

TIA for any advice offered,

Steve

A:Set up admin account on system with standard account only

Originally Posted by finnfire

Hello everyone. This is my first post on Ten Forums.

How can I create an admin account on a system that only has a standard user account? I suspect that the answer is that I can't, but I live in hope.

I can't provide specific details of the PC in question because it's my son's, and he lives 35+ miles away. He was running Win 8.1 but recently (in the past couple of days) upgraded to 10 and has run into a driver issue. He can't upgrade the driver because he doesn't have admin rights. I think he has an admin account on his system because I put it there, but it doesn't show up as a log-in option.

I've tried to enable the hidden admin account from a standard user acc on my system by running the command prompt as admin but am always to verify as admin - catch 22...

TIA for any advice offered,

Steve

Hi finnfire and welcome to Tenforums.

If you did indeed put an administrative account on your son's machine, then it would show up when he tries to do something that requires administrative privileges, (i.e. install a new program), and ask for that account's password. When the UAC pops up, the administrative account will be there waiting for the password to be entered. If you remember the password for that account, then he can do whatever he needs to do, if you give it to him.

If this doesn't work, you could try Option #4 in this tutorial:
Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edit: Once the hidden Admin account is enabled, boot into Windows, log into that account, create a user with administrative rights, and then go back to step #4 and disable the hidden Admin account.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/29587-set-up-admin-account-system-standard-account-only.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hi,
I have been looking for this answer for 2 days and can not find anyone who has had similair problem.

THere are 2 accounts Administrator and Kenmystro/administrator. I have the password for both and can access both. win 7 Ultimate Hp8510.
I have already selected all user permissions and taken ownership in every box I could find for Kenmystro/admin. the UAC is at minimum and the security centre is off. Run as admin on right click does not help.
It does not matter which of the 2 accounts I log into when I try install certain HP software(Maintenance
& some drivers) it says I do not have admin privileges.

This is driving me nuts can anyone help??

Relevancy 105.35%

I hope someone can help me Just this morning i booted up as normal and the always annoying UAC stopped when account admin admin Admin checked! is even being notifications kept Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! popping up I was sure i had disabled these Then i went to use my music software and it said that this account Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! didn't have admin privileges I checked my user account and the check box states that is is an admin account and that UAC is turnd off i only have one account anyways Ive looked on google extensively Tried making new profiles and copy the old one over but that only worked to a certain point - lots of programs didn't work lost mail settings etc Not really workable Tried system restore to no avail Tried using the vista admin account and changing my account - rebooting - etc No change My guess is that something has got Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! corrupt in my user profile and windows is not remembering that i should be an admin I can't use my software and i have a deadline Any one who can help will win a magical prize or something Jen

A:Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked!

Welcome
Should be easy, create a New Administrator account and give it permissions to use the software.
User Account - Create
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rs-groups.html
Procedure for Seven is the Same as For Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294399-admin-account-stopped-being-admin-even-when-admin-checked.html
Relevancy 105.35%

I'm helping two friends Bob amp Jane who want separate accounts on their new computer They hired someone to help them who wound up setting up Jane's account on the default Admin account When I saw this I set up a new Admin account named quot Bob quot and changed Jane's Issues Changed Account - Default Standard Admin Having Now to account to Standard Fast-forward to present Now in Windows Explorer I'm seeing two accounts quot PC quot and quot Jane quot However these labels are mixed up The account labeled quot Jane quot in Windows Explorer is actually Bob's Admin account has his specific files desktop shortcuts etc and the account labeled quot PC quot is actually Jane's Standard account After making the initial account changes the accounts were logged off of and the computer restarted to make the changes effective That the change is not being reflected in Windows Explorer Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues is concerning and I'm also wondering if there could be additional residual effects after making the changes I've described Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues Any help is much appreciated

A:Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues

Anyone? Was changing the default admin acct to standard a bad idea?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359503-changed-default-admin-account-standard-now-having-issues.html
Relevancy 105.35%

I have several PCs that only have one user account (Admin). The user of the PC has used this Admin account for some time and over time accumulated docs, pics, browser settings, desktop configurations, etc...

I want to add a standard user account and have everything transfer to the user account from the Admin account they were using such as docs, pics, browser settings, desktop configuration, etc...

Basically what I'm wanting to do is have the user sign in with the standard account and see and access their stuff as normal as if nothing changed other than they now cannot utilize the admin account (no downloading, altering, installing software, etc...
Not sure what to call this type of action so searching for the procedure has been difficult. Not sure if the action necessary is universal between Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 which are the 3 OS I have between the 3 PCs. Any guidance in achieving this task would be great.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/401546-sign-standard-account-see-access-admin-stuff.html
Relevancy 105.35%

I Help, Need to Standard Major and to set unable change. Admin account was at my Math class and my roommate texted me telling me my computer started to freak out The computer turned itself on and the fans went extremely loud Need Major Help, Admin account set to Standard and unable to change. and a clicking noise started I have a Sager Clevo P So I get back to the room and my computer was off and everything seemed fine I started it up and my sticky keys were not set This happened before though sethc exe was not in the right spot I fixed this before by putting it where it correctly goes and allowing full control to my admin account I tried to do this again and it would not let me I went to User account and found out my only account on this computer is set to Standard Don't ask me how this is possible so now I have no admin account on my own computer and I don't have full control over it I tried bringing up the command prompt and manually activating an administrator account by doing net user administrator active yes and my access is denied because I am not an admin account I then booted my computer in safe mode and tried to access the admin account that way Which there was an admin account but a password attached to it The password is not what my password is and I did not set any other password because there was always only user So what the hell do I do I can not set an admin account and I am locked out of any other admin accounts please help

A:Need Major Help, Admin account set to Standard and unable to change.

If you have an install or repair disc try this How to Reset Your Forgotten Windows Password the Easy Way - How-To Geek

Or this if you have no disc How to Reset Your Windows Password Without an Install CD - How-To Geek

Don't trust your room mate, password protect your computer!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/267504-need-major-help-admin-account-set-standard-unable-change.html
Relevancy 105.35%

So I'm logged in as a standard user and at start up I have to type in 15 admin passwords just to get the things running on the computer. Especially Asus AI Suite II. But I was just wondering is there a way to get that program to stop asking for all the passwords? I do use it ALOT and the program has saved my behind a couple times when I overclocked to high one time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

A:Standard User account and the barage of Admin passwords

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoib

We have liftoff!!!

I uninstalled everything. Logged in as the standard user. Hit the install package. It begged me for the admin - I responded. Install completed successfully. I went to the shortcut and took ownership of the referenced folder after providing again, the admin password. In the prop panel, the ownership was listed as "\\....Administrator" - and I reassigned ownership to the standard user, HA017. I closed out and rebooted.

Bingo! Standard user now has direct privs into the application - no admin password prompt.

BTW, before I got to this point of uninstall and reinstall, I did try the AppLocker secpol snap in as you suggested. When I called in the default "Path" item, It already populated HA017 as having "Allow" rights along with the Administrators Group and Administrators. With the standard user, this still failed. I went and added the "Everyone" object to "Allow" and tried the standard user. Did not work again.

So, happily, we're back in business and we didn't have to sacrifice security for functionality.

H

Would the above really work???

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/367402-standard-user-account-barage-admin-passwords.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hello All Despite this forum looks like a x bits place I hope you will be able to assist me in solving an access authorisation issue on a Vista Premium bits system As admin on my computer I installed a game named Mythos installed in C Program Files Frogster Mythos I would like my kids who have a Standard account to play this game but each time they try to run it they are requested Admin privileges which I do of course NOT want to provide them a run to standard admin account program cedentials ? requiring in How with I tried to provide the most open possible sharing capabilities to this folder Frogster without any success I tried to increase the privileges level to the max full control still to no avail Looking into the help for sharing files in windows help didn't help me and googling not more unfortunately There must be somewhere some guide to allow a Standard user to use access resources installed by the Admin account without providing the Admin pwd right Thanks for your precious advice

A:How to run in standard account a program requiring admin cedentials ?

Hello aschwarzie and welcome to the forums

Despite the name, we help people with both x86 and x64 Anyone is welcome here

Have you seen this: Parental Controls - Specific Programs

Tom

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/291538-how-run-standard-account-program-requiring-admin-cedentials.html
Relevancy 105.35%

In Windows Vista, when I try to execute a program from a standard user account that requires the admin password, it says the password is incorrect. It is the correct password because using the same password, I can log in to the Admin account.

Can someone help?

A:Standard user account will not accept Admin password

Welcome
Lets first make sure that the problem is not worse than it seems
Run an sfc check
System Files - SFC Command
Make a full anti virus scan
Download and run a full scan with malwarebytes.
If all are negative
Open another user account and see if the problem persisits, it may be corruption in one account.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/291426-standard-user-account-will-not-accept-admin-password.html
Relevancy 105.35%

I always liked using a non admin account to (help a little bit) protect against spyware and Trojans and all of that. Now that I have W8 and linked to my Microsoft account I was going to do the same thing but it is not letting me.
W8 was installed and when I logged in for the first time using my MS account it set me up as an admin. I created a second local account that was an admin and used that one to try to set the MS account to a standard but it didn't let me.
Is doing this possible and should I even bother?

A:Change my Microsoft login account from admin to standard?

Hello Jezo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Odd, it let me change by default administrator account created during installation to standard after creating another local administrator account, sign in and out of local to finish setting it up, then sign back in to the administrator account to change the types.

Double check to make sure that the new local account is actually an administrator type. By default, when you add a new account in Windows 8, it's created as a standard account.

User Account Type - Change in Windows 8
If it just won't let you, then I suppose that you could do this below as a workaround.

Change the new local back to standard.Switch your administrator Microsoft account to be a local account.Switch the new local to a Microsoft account with your email address.
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/14893-change-my-microsoft-login-account-admin-standard.html
Relevancy 104.92%

hi a few weeks ago I activated the hidden administrator account to perform an administrative action using net user administrator active yes I have done this many times on my pc then I used net user administrator active no to hide it again switched off my laptop and thought nothing of it then I logged in today and its still active so I ran the command again and it still did not go so I thought I would log in to see if there was anything that was stopping it drawing at straws really I tried to log in and the password was changed for some reason so I used control userpasswords from the run command to change it I successfully logged in no problems that I could see so i tried deactivating it again with no luck I tried to log into the administrator account once admin account hidden again and the password was not working very strange would anyone know what is hidden admin account going on and hidden admin account how to fix it thanks

A:hidden admin account

Try scanning for malware. This topic has links to free, online scanners: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/203081/hidden-admin-account/
Relevancy 104.06%

Our users are standard users on their PCs. There is one program that is asking for a username and password with administrator rights.
I know of the shortcut method using runas /savecred /user:administrator, but this is not a good idea.
I tried the scheduled task / shortcut  method "schtasks /run /tn "taskname", but this doesn't work.  The GUI is launched in the administrator session and is not even visible to the user.
How can I allow a standard user to run this program without him having to enter admin credentials or without making him a member of the local administrator group on the PC?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d731a96f-f479-49ee-bcda-43eadc55a25a/how-can-a-standard-user-account-run-a-program-without-supplying-admin-credentials?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 103.63%

So I am very stressed but im gonna try to be as chill as I can right now. I am the ONWER of my PC and should aloud to edit whatever files I want, but windows knows best so fine... ok... I enabled access to the hidden admin account. Because our user accounts that say admin is a way for windows to make us think we are system admins when we arnt. Every guide in the world says once the hidden admin account is enabled it will have no login password... mine does... what do I do? This PC is fresh out of the box no password was set. I need access to the hidden admin account unless this hidden admin is someone who payed for this PC and didnt tell me? Then Id assume I have the right to use my admin account on the PC. Thanks for anyone who reads this

A:Hidden admin account has a password???

Nevermind I fixed it with a Net user administrator command. Was able to force the password change on the hidden admin account.
You can close this mods

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/40553-hidden-admin-account-has-password.html
Relevancy 103.63%

There are many "solutions" to this on the net, but they all say to enter the following from an elevated command prompt net user administrator /active:yes

This doesn't work for me.

(There is only one account on this machine - Administrator)

I need to do this so that I can rename a file.

Can someone help please.

A:Enabling hidden Admin account.

If you type "net user<enter>"
in the elevated command prompt it will show all the accounts.
You cannot set Administrator "active" if it is already active.

Why not give more details what you are trying to do. Which file are you trying to rename?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/73729-enabling-hidden-admin-account.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hello everyone,
I recently was given a laptop to fix up by my brother in law that seems to be infected with a nasty troublesome Trojan.

Anyways I cannot login to his username with the password he has provided me with and he has some documents that he would like me to backup if possible.

So, I was wondering if their is a way to get into the hidden admin account within the login screen, I hate how Microsoft disabled the feature of hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del to get into the admin account. So I was just wondering if their was another way to get in, I've already tried Safe Mode and the hidden Admin account doesn't pop up. If you can get back to me ASAP with a fix, that would be great!

Thank you,
-Steve

A:How do I login to the hidden Admin account?

You can indeed log in with the hidden admin account if you boot into safe mode (it is automatically enabled), but of course you'll need to know the password. If it isn't enabled, then are we sure the account is still even there? The only other real option is to boot it offline from a bootable DVD or USB key that can read NTFS volumes and copy the files that way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208801-how-do-i-login-hidden-admin-account.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi all ... I remember that Win XP has the Default Hidden Admin Account that is created when you install the OS and also by default it's not password secured which can be a security issue. By doing a quick search, apparently Win 8 also have this Default Hidden Admin Account.
When in Win8 I verify the available created users I see an Admin account. Is this account the 'hidden' one, but made visible?
I also did the prompt cmd: net user administrator /active:yes, but I get a msg saying that there is 'no' user under the name 'administrator' ... maybe the admin user I'm seeing is a microsoft account, not a local account?

A:Default Hidden Admin Account

Hello Ken, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The account with the default name "Administrator" is indeed the built-in elevated Administrator account. If you have a Pro version of Windows 8, then you could use Option Three below to see what it's named.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Type net users in a command prompt to see the names of all user accounts on the PC to see if you have Administrator or one that may be for it. If this is an OEM PC, then sometimes they may rename the account to something else.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49933-default-hidden-admin-account.html
Relevancy 103.63%

There are many "solutions" to this on the net, but they all say to enter the following from an elevated command prompt net user administrator /active:yes

This doesn't work for me.

(There is only one account on this machine - Administrator)

I need to do this so that I can rename a file.

Can someone help please.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/73729-enabling-hidden-admin-account.html
Relevancy 103.63%

is there a way to hack-tweak an XP system so that theres always a hidden Admin account running connected to the internet..even if all the other accounts have been logged off, so long as the PC is still powered on and at the logon screen...???

A:running a hidden Admin account on XP

not likely, unless you are the one doing the hack-tweak

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/running-a-hidden-admin-account-on-xp.75828/
Relevancy 103.63%

So today I by mistake made my regular admin just user and not an admin and my hidden account my admin.

I tried to make my hidden account accessible but I cannot change it from 0 to 1 without admin user name and password, I could press Shift Right click and run as different user, but the main problem is I did not password protect my hidden user and when I just type in my Admin name and no password it says

Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank password (I don't have one) logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

I'm really stuck and do not know what to do PLEASE HELP

A:I made my hidden account my admin and cannot get on to it!!

Try starting your computer on safe mode. I'm not sure if that'll fix your problem, but I know for sure that you can find the default administrator account that way.

Let me know how it goes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/256822-i-made-my-hidden-account-my-admin-cannot-get.html
Relevancy 102.34%

gang I realize some of you are touchy about this subject but help me out - I have not seen this one before I bought using it as 'we speak' DC from a huge recycler - the rd I've bought from these guys who do a great job it has Windows Pro Admin account Hidden never again worked password ONCE... on it from them refurbisher volume licensing its activated happy for the most part their slipstreamed install process however sets a password on the Admin Account and the password is quot Administrator quot last night I tried for the first time to get in there the password failed this morning on a fresh start I tried again Voila' - it began setting up the Administrator desktop first run so I turned to the important ritual of preparing my Hidden Admin account password worked ONCE... never again morning cup of Golden Yunan Hidden Admin account password worked ONCE... never again When I came back to the screen it was sitting at the 'pick a user' screen again I hit it input 'Administrator' again and it failed again and again and again so is the account corrupted I would really love to avoid a total nuke amp reinstall if I can but if it must be it must be I am just wondering how this can happen obviously its a security concern what started me on this path was there is a 'live' instance of 'Windows Mail' installed on the system that is invisible in the Programs Install uninstall utility so I cannot get rid of it when I try to delete any of the associated files I'm prevented Try to change permissions I'm prevented thus you know the drill

A:Hidden Admin account password worked ONCE... never again

Try a cold start again.

I dont think the Password would change its self.

Make sure you are typing it in correctly!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/343560-hidden-admin-account-password-worked-once-never-again.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hey, so I have an asus laptop with three users on it. "ASUS", the one I use that is standard user. Guest account, and a hidden "Administrator" account. I want to be able to make my ASUS account administrator, or at least be able to login to the hidden admin account to do so. I've tried like every tutorial there is. Commands like "net user administrator /active:yes" and "net localgroup administrators /add NAME" don't work, they give me an system error 5 message. Because doing so requires being admin, which doesn't make any sense because I wouldn't want to log into an admin account if I was already admin.

Does anyone know how to get around this? I can't disable UAC or install some programs as a standard user.

A:[SOLVED] Enabling hidden admin account.

See if this one helps Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-enabling-hidden-admin-account-808234.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi !
Once an administrator has been created the "Built in Administrator" account
doesn't show up on the welcome screen as an login option.
What do i do to get the option to login as the "Built in administrator" at that
screen ?(The one with the name Administrator).

The reason i'm asking is for this scenario:

Someone is using the welcome screen option and has forgotten their password.
The account they have is with administrative rights.
They then use a tool to reset the administrator password (like in ERD commander from winternals).
But when logging in with the newly reset built in admin account they can't
login cause that account doesn't show up on the welcome screen......
Or does these password re-setting tools work on all admin accounts ?
Any comments......

Relevancy 102.34%

Hi I have a friends laptop with two accounts quot primary quot and quot secondary quot both are admin accounts quot Primary quot was passworded and quot Secondary quot isn t The problem is it looks like there might be a problem with the hard drive Problem is Hard drive is slowing down and erroring out Ran chkdsk and all the other programs but takes for ever So looking at wiping out the drive and starting with a fresh install Problem arises on the quot Primary quot account that has the info we want to save was password protected we were able to log into the quot Primary quot account ONCE and remove the password But when we try to do other things it takes forever and before you can do anything it ll BSD and do a memory dump Now it won t let us log into the account desktop successfully always hangs admin problem Solved: account hidden with and locksup before the icons comesup on the desktop same thing in quot Safe Mode quot So what I thought we could do was log Solved: problem with hidden admin account into Solved: problem with hidden admin account the quot secondary quot admin account and backup all the info from the quot Primary quot account to the external backup since the quot secondary quot account works quot ok quot but is SSSSLLLOOWWW The problem is that when I go to quot My Computer quot in the C drive in quot Documents and Settings quot I can see the quot primary quot account folder but it says that it s empty We removed the password from the quot Primary quot account but it still says access denied and nothing in the folder I remember there was a setting in Admin Accounts in Control Panel that let you do a quot Hide my files folder quot along with adding removing a password for your account I think the person might have clicked on the quot Solved: problem with hidden admin account Hide my Folder Files quot button and now we can t see it from the other admin account to back it up On my system I have accounts all admins and I can see all folders and all accounts can see each other folders But it looks like he passworded his account and did something to where his folder and files are hidden We logged in to his account and removed the password but if we try to backup the data it crashes you can t do anything for any period of time as it locks up so that s why I m trying to do it from the quot secondary quot account on the computer I also tried quot Safe Mode quot and same thing once I hit the desktop it locks up backup up from quot Primary quot account not an option I was looking at slaving the hard drive to one of my puters but that still wouldn t let me get into the hidden folder I really need to find a way to quot unhide quot the other folder so I can back it up Any ideas Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: problem with hidden admin account

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

As for hiding files, maybe look at this option?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problem-with-hidden-admin-account.406966/
Relevancy 102.34%

ok so I have enabled the hidden admin account in windows 7 and I picked up a virus...it won't let me do nothing...I have tried installing antivirus but it keeps giving me an error message that says the application I am trying to open is infected and it won't open it....

now I can log into the other account and work fine, however these accounts do no admin priviledges!

so my question is can I delete the current hidden admin acct and recreate a new one? or is there anyway around my problem, basically how I can I restore the account back to normal. Please help?

Thanks.

A:How do you delete hidden admin account in windows 7?

I would run a virus scan from a bootable cdrom or DVD. Removing some viruses while still in Windows is like trying to treat poison ivy while walking naked through the woods. You might get some of it but it'll probably pop up somewhere else.

When you're clean, this might help:

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/107401-how-do-you-delete-hidden-admin-account-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 102.34%

i do a sysprep and in the process i have to delete the temporary user account.
after ootb > rebooting > creating fresh account > the superadmin (hidden admin) is gone.

does anyone have a clue whats causing this or what i might do wrong?

thanks in advance

Relevancy 101.91%

So we have a fixed drive as its a dual drives in a HP when encrypting the second drive and testing unlocking with a standard user name it prompts for admin rights after entering the bitlocker password What can be done on group policy end to stop that from happening I don't want to have it auto lock beats the purpose of encryption security Best regards lt br gt lt br gt lt strong gt Joe C lt br gt lt strong gt Partner Online Technical Community lt br gt ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- lt br second on Unlocking account prompts user bitlocked rights standard a drive for Admin gt We hope you get value from our new forums platform Tell us what you think lt br gt lt a href quot http social microsoft com Forums en-US partnerfdbk threads quot gt lt span style quot color cc quot gt http social microsoft com Forums en-US partnerfdbk threads lt br gt lt span gt lt a gt ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ lt br gt This posting is provided amp Unlocking a second bitlocked drive prompts for Admin rights on standard user account quot AS IS amp quot with no warranties and confers no rights lt hr gt

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e15fcd6c-f5d6-4a01-9c05-0a7319948e08/unlocking-a-second-bitlocked-drive-prompts-for-admin-rights-on-standard-user-account?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 101.48%

I have Windows 7 Home x32 on a laptop and I want to make a admin account and hide it from the user screen, I not only want to hide it but I want to be able to "load it" from the log on screen if I want (no CMD commands on the user accounts to use it) is this possible with 7?

Before on XP I had a hidden admin account and all I had to do was CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it would bring up my account, with windows 7 it doesn't seem to work this way. Now to be 100% clear, I don't want the default admin account (for trouble shooting) all I want is a second admin account that if needed can access user accounts on my laptop from the log-on screen by hitting some combination of keys.

Thank you.

A:Windows 7 Home Admin Account Hidden Access

I found this on another site. I also checked three other Internet references and they pointed to the following. It seems this may help you. However someone with more experience may have some other suggestions. Please read the following:

In order to hide a user account (which also means create a hidden user account) in Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, just go to Control Panel User module and create an additional user as usually do (Control Panel -> User Accounts and -> User Accounts in Windows 7 and Windows Vista). If you already have an existing user that wants to be made hidden, invisible or disappeared from Welcome Screen, then go straight to guide below.Run (RegEdit.exe).
Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Note: If SpecialAccounts and UserList is not found, create new sub-key and name them accordingly.
Select UserList, and in the right pane, right click on any blank space, and point to New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name the new DWORD registry as the exact same name that match the name of the user account to be hidden. For example, if the user ID of the user account is John, the name the registry value as John.
Double click on DWORD , and set the value data to 0 in oder to hide the account from Welcome Screen. Tip: To display the user account on Welcome Screen again so that it’s visible again, delete the registry entry, or set the value data to 1.
Exit Registry Editor.
Log off or restart computer to make the change effective.
Tip: In order to login into Windows using an user account that has made hidden and invisible, just press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up Windows Logon dialog, and then type in the user name and password manually.

Hope this is what you were asking about.

Still Learning, Learning Still.

Curtis

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/277815-windows-7-home-admin-account-hidden-access.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi all I have been up and down various boards over the last few days and though I have found many suggestions I keep finding myself in an endless loop I enabled the Hidden Admin account on my Win Pro laptop The account was created without a hitch but when I try to login I get a defualt profile loading up Blank desktop and a very limited user profile Not even a command prompt in the quot Accessories quot folder in the Start menu When I try and access the Users folder I get denied Strange as this is the quot Super quot Hidden Admin account I have found suggestions with regards to Regedit problem Admin Hidden profile account default but the account is not listed in profiles list Only my original quot Jay quot account and system profiles network local I have tried to create other accounts I created a Standard account without a password and I get this error quot User profile services failed the login quot This error too Hidden Admin account default profile problem led me to a Regedit solution but again the account is not present In fact no new user folders are created when I make a new account When I try to view Users folder from my quot Jay quot account which works brilliantly there are no other user folders It's like it allows me to create new user accounts but is loading a default profile instead with all accounts I create Restore point won't work as I cleared all but my most recent the other day my one account is doing great so I cleared my restore points and made a system image now I wish I hadn't I don't know where to go from here other than maybe a repair install Kind of freaks me out about maybe messing up my only good profile account I have going right now

A:Hidden Admin account default profile problem

Hello Jay,

You might see if this may be able to help you fix this user profile error.

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/160167-hidden-admin-account-default-profile-problem.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I am only user on this computer and heard about the hidden Admin account for Windows 8. I logged into it, but all stuff from normal account such as documents and program shortcuts were missing. Is there any way I can transfer the Admin full access rights to my primary user account? Please help and thanks

A:Hidden Admin Account Access Transfer to User...

Hello Skeet, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Just to note, that while signed in to the built-in elevated "Administrator" account, Store apps will not work.

Your other files are not missing, but just in the other account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" folder instead. Since the built-in Administrator is a separate account, it will have it's own "C:\Uses\Administrator" folder and settings.

If you like you could just include the other account's folders into the Administrator's libraries.
Library - Add a Folder to in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/21934-hidden-admin-account-access-transfer-user.html
Relevancy 100.19%

OK please bear with removed Hidden with Admin account works doesn't UAC but Administrator me I'm not a newbie and not ignorant of basic Windows parameters but neither do I consider myself an expert - Hidden Administrator works but Admin account with UAC removed doesn't hence seeking your generous help I am running as TESTADMIN an account which is a member of the Administrators group on a Windows x Nov update machine This was a clean install not an upgrade I have installed an application Quickbooks Premier as TESTADMIN Everything generally works fine but there is one component which I have to use which needs UAC permission to activate That component starts a service that allows sharing of files across the Hidden Administrator works but Admin account with UAC removed doesn't network Once that service is started the application seeks UAC permissions to open Despite them being granted the application fails to load The service however loads fine and indeed does successfully allow the files to be shared across the network with other installations If I activate the hidden ADMINISTRATOR account and run the program from within that account then I have no problem whatsoever I have tried downgrading the UAC rights of the TESTADMIN account but no luck The service the files accessed and the program files all have permissions that give read write access to TESTADMIN I can see nothing that TESTADMIN does not have permission to access My understanding was that the ADMINISTRATOR account differed from TESTADMIN only by it's degree of UAC control But clearly there is something else the ADMINISTRATOR can do that TESTADMIN cannot How can I found out what it is and thereby begin the process of increasing permissions

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/36201-hidden-administrator-works-but-admin-account-uac-removed-doesnt.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I just user when admin non made Lost Admin account account made a non admin user account on my Dell Inspiron windows xp laptop When I went online to sign in under my account admin it is no longer there My name Penne is there and Lost Admin user account when made non admin account so is my daughters I click on my name put my password in and it takes me to the desktop for my daughter and ALL my stuff is gone PLEASE HELP I have googled this and the only thing Lost Admin user account when made non admin account I am seeing is that you need to sign in under an Admin user account to fix this and get my stuff back THere is Lost Admin user account when made non admin account NO admin user account so how can I get it all back I did the F and went to restore to previous point and that didnt work I know there is a way to go to the restore calendar and find a day that her user account was not on there like last week so this might work but I dont know how to find this PLEASE help as all of my EVERYTHING is on my user account and I am lost without it all have a retreat this weekend and I need all of my sheet music and my songs Thanks so much PENNE nbsp

Relevancy 99.33%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hi

Ive stumbled across a problem that has been causing me grief for a few days now, every time I try to access my hard drive (C disk) it says, access is denied. Also, i cant edit permissions because I've lost admin rights. Ive tried many things including unlocking the system admin, this lets me access a few extra things like being able to use the sfc command in cmd, however, it doesn't allow me to access the C disk or change permission because it also has lost admin rights? I fear that this is a bad problem and I don't know how it happened. I have tried restoring to a previous date and that doesn't work either.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shimin4tor

A:[SOLVED] Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account

Hi and welcome to TSF so you have tried win 7 hidden admin Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista
have you installed or downloaded anything in the recent past

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-access-denied-to-c-disk-and-lost-admin-rights-to-system-admin-account-693530.html
Relevancy 98.9%

The firm in which I work has a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 installed. There are two user profiles on the computer, the admin and another normal account without administration rights. We have only the password of the account without administrator rights.

The network administrator had left the company surprisingly in without giving the administrator password of the PC and we cannot contact him anymore.

Now we want to install another programme and we cannot do this without an administrator account.

I disabled secure boot and have tried to boot the PC with an Linux USB Stick, but it do not boot from the stick.

Any suggestion how I either can reset the password of the administrator account or create an new account with administrator rights.

A:Windows 10 admin password reset or new account with admin rights

Although there may be techniques to recover a lost password it is forum policy that we do not discuss these here - your best bet would be to visit a local security specialist and get them to recover/reset it for you - and a change to the policy for the replacement admin may be a good idea, I always wrote a list of all passwords and stored it with the Managing Director and also in a fireproof safe

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38274-windows-10-admin-password-reset-new-account-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 98.9%

Basically I have two admin accounts one of which belongs to another member of family and one which belongs to me. Heres the situation:

The person who owns the other Admin account is changing my accounts password (also an admin account). Surely there is some way to make it so that I can not have my account's password changed unless it is logged on to my actual account (so my account's password can only be changed if my account is logged on?)

Is there a way?

In urgent need of help!

Thanks!

A:Prevent Admin Accounts From Changing Other Admin Account Passwords In Xp!

Here's an article (for Win2K) that may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309799But, IMO, the issue here is that the other person can't be trusted. In such a situation I'd suggest making the other account into a Standard User account - that way they won't be able to mess with your stuff, and they'll be reliant upon you for anything that requires administrative privileges.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153087/prevent-admin-accounts-from-changing-other-admin-account-passwords-in-xp/
Relevancy 98.9%

Hi,
I am working on a 2012 ADDS based network and I have the following requirement.
I want to create a local administrator user account on the local domain computers (Win XP, 7 and 8) which will have full access on the PC but not the permission to edit other local administrator accounts.
Please advise how I can achieve this.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

A:local admin account with no permit to edit other admin accounts

Local admin account by definition has access to everything and even if it doesn't it can take ownership and give itself the rights. In other words i am not sure that you can achieve what you
are trying to do.

I would suggest create a single shared local admin account and give it your desktop admins, change the password every 60-90 days to keep it more secure. This is common practice in many
organizations.

http://www.dannyeckes.com/create-local-admin-group-policy-gpo/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/125eabac-06f7-45ee-9792-f642c82eab2e/local-admin-account-with-no-permit-to-edit-other-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 98.04%

Using Win 8.1

First off, the account I'am signed on with is listed as admin type account. It's the one I had to enter my windows account email.
Since installing the new MalwareBytes 2.0 program (which went in without any problem) it put an shortcut icon on desktop. I tried too move the icon from desktop to another folder and it said I needed admin rights to do this. Usually once I click on continue it gives me access and proceeds to carry out the command.
So I followed the tutorial to build hidden admin account. I type in: net user administrator /active:yes, it completed. I signed on to the admin account and tried the same operation and it still asked for admin rights.
What am I doing wrong?

UpDate: MalwareBytes 2.0 has a self protection ability that needs to not be enabled, otherwise everything associated with the Program including program icons located anywhere cannot be moved.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43247-i-needed-admin-rights-using-built-admin-account.html
Relevancy 98.04%

Hi guys when my pc gets to the first screen where you choose your account my admin account has changed from my name to 'Other user' and when I click on it it asks for a username and password. Also trying to access files from the admin account when it prompts me with a password I enter it and the dialogue box goes away as if it has accepted the password but does not let me access the files. Any help appreciated thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/381483-admin-account-corrupted-cant-access-files-using-admin-p-w.html
Relevancy 98.04%

Recently I did a clean install from the windows installation tool off a CD I made. Soon after logging on and making my first account (again!) I couldn't open the C drive. I messed with the owner options and made my account the owner so I could open it. Possibly before or maybe after (I'm not sure) I realised I wasn't able to use any admin settings, (like add another account or see advanced system settings) open any applications that required admin rights (like CMD or any installation file) or do anything in the system menu. I've tried to look up the solution but can't find anything that fits the description of my problem. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance for at least reading this.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59249-no-admin-rights-admin-account-after-clean-install.html
Relevancy 96.32%

I have created two new user accounts. The first I set up as a standard account, logged on, did a few things, then logged off, logged on as my administrator account and editted the account to be an administrator. When I log back on as this account, it appears that the user still does not have administrator privileges even though under the user it says "Administrator". For example, the UAC control does not appear when you click on "Change User Account Control Settings". Also, trying to install software where the installer asks for admin privileges fails. However, the second account created started as an adminstrator account and exhibits neither of these problems.

I just haven't seen anything in posts about this and wonder what the difference is and if there is anything that "second class" administrator user can do to become a "first class" administrator.

A:New admin user acting differently than standard user changed to admin

Quote:
For example, the UAC control does not appear when you click on "Change User Account Control Settings". Also, trying to install software where the installer asks for admin privileges fails.

Does UAC control display a confirmation question? this is the case for administrator accounts
Does UAC control ask for username/password? This is the case for standard accounts
Change the account back (just for testing) to standard account. Does it ask for username/password when changing system settings?
system built-in admin account has admin rights always
manually made account with admin rights has only admin rights after you allow it in the UAC control popup.
manually made account without admin rights has only admin rights after you allow it in the UAC control popup (enter a admin's username and password).
That's how it should work

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/203736-new-admin-user-acting-differently-than-standard-user-changed-admin.html
Relevancy 96.32%

I'm just getting a new HP Envy - computer set up Came with and then was upgraded to I started with a Microsoft id which set me up as Administrator and that's working fine I set up a Local account with Type Administrator which it shows in the User Account profile I expected that this new Admin account would be a full-on Admin with the ability to see and edit all files pictures documents etc including system stuff but it does none of that If I check the Properties Security on a folder file it will show the account saying that it is Admin and showing the same controls as my Admin account but it is unable to see any of the set but as Admin, as New Admin account doesn't 8.1 work Library documents which reside in the structure under my Admin name which is where I pasted them after copying from my Win machine I haven't really done any other testing to see what else it could could not do once I found it couldn't even pick a new account picture for itself Are my expectations wrong or is there something else I should have done or done differently I have deleted and then recreated it I haven't done anything with Homegroup as there is nothing to share Should I We're a single computer printer home My goal is too have New 8.1 account set as Admin, but doesn't work as Admin only two accounts This new one as Admin account and a new Standard account for daily use both as Local Accounts New 8.1 account set as Admin, but doesn't work as Admin then remove my Microsoft Admin user account Thanks for your help

A:New 8.1 account set as Admin, but doesn't work as Admin

Have You taken ownership of them?
This should work in windows 8.1 too. It works in My Windows 8.
Take Ownership of a File or Folder
Read the directions.

An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.

Good Luck
Roger

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/512168/new-81-account-set-as-admin-but-doesnt-work-as-admin/
Relevancy 96.32%

Greetings,

I am trying to change the folder properties of a applications folder from read only. I am doing this per instructions from the apps provider to prevent crashes.

When I go to change the permissions it states I need admin privileges. The only account I have on the box is the admin however I did change the name to something besides admin. The account is definitely an admin account.

Any thoughts?

Windows 7 64 bit

Relevancy 96.32%

I installed a few programs last night and I lost all my admin privileges I m using an account that has admin rights and yet these happened - run button in the lost account admin privileges! Admin start menu has disappeared Admin account lost admin privileges! - turn off button has also disappeared I can only log off - I cannot run the task manager when I press ctrl-alt-del - some sys tray applications stopped being started up with the windows skype msn messenger icq adobe lightroom daemontools - when I load Adobe Photoshop CS I get this message that says quot You are not allowed to continue because your account does not have administrator privileges quot - I m sure there re more things waiting to be discovered But the thing is my account has admin status I ve run adaware to clear out all spyware already I m attaching a HijackThis log can anyone help see what s wrong Code Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe E Win Utilities Microsoft Activesync wcescomm exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe E Win Utilities Launchy Launchy exe E Win UTILIT MICROS rapimgr exe E Win Utilities NOD nod krn exe E Win Internet Tools Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe E Win Internet Tools eMule emule exe C WINDOWS system mmc exe E Win Utilities NOD nod kui exe C WINDOWS system mmc exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe E Win Utilities HijackThis HijackThis exe R - URLSearchHook no name - F B - D - fe - A -BBB - no file O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - E Win Utilities Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar no name - E E AB-F - D - D - BA E - no file O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG - quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run MSPY -C WINDOWS system IME PINTLGNT ImScInst exe SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync -C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A -C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck -C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run ICQ Lite - quot E Win Internet Tools ICQLite ICQLite exe quot -minimize O - HKLM Run BigDog -C WINDOWS VM STI EXE VIMICRO USB PC Camera ZC O - HKLM Run Phase One Media Reader -E Win Graphics CAPTUR DCIMImp exe noscan CheckAutoStart O - HKLM Run CTHelper -CTHELPER EXE O - HKLM Run CTxfiHlp -CTXFIHLP EXE O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched - quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run Adobe Photo Downloader - quot E Win Graphics Lightroom apdproxy exe quot O - HKLM Run nod kui - quot E Win Utilities NOD nod kui exe quot WAITSERVICE O - HKCU Run MsnMsgr - quot C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run MSMSGS - quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - HKCU Run H PC Connection Agent quot E Win Utilities Microsoft Activesync wcescomm exe quot O - HKCU Run Skype quot C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe quot nosplash minimized O - Global Startup Launchy lnk E Win Utilities Launchy Launchy exe O - Extra context menu item amp ICQ Toolbar Search - res E Win Internet Tools ICQToolbar toolbaru dll SEARCH HTML O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button Create Mobile Favorite - EAF BB - F- D - - C FAE D F - E Win UTILIT MICROS INetRepl dll O - Extra button no name... Read more

Relevancy 95.89%

Pretty basic question (I think). Is the built-in administrator's account exactly the same as a manually created local administrator's account privilege wise? Or does the built-in possess inherently elevated privileges?

I have googled around, however, I can't find a clear answer for this.

Thank you

A:built-in admin account vs regular admin account

Hello Spurcell, and welcome to Seven Forums.

They are basically the same, except that the built-in possess inherently elevated privileges, and the other doesn't until approved through UAC to elevate the action.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/255985-built-admin-account-vs-regular-admin-account.html
Relevancy 92.45%

So here is an interesting problem I ran into after working on the family computer (I was away at college and just got back for break).

After removing all the viruses, I was left with a computer where both the main user account and the Admin account did not have Admin rights. I can log into the Administrator account, but I cannot do even the most simplest of things, such as open Control Panel. So, I am at a loss to fix this. So simply enough, how does one restore administrative rights to the admin account when it has lost them.

Info:
Windows XP Home SP2
Control Panel, and many related functions, along side with such things as leftclick->properties on My Computer do not work (It says privilege removed, contact admin).
Even the Help will not open.

A:Admin rights for Admin account?

Please download Trend Micro's HJTInstall.exe to your Windows Desktop.

Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe . The application will install by default to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
Click on the Install button. A shortcut icon will be created on your Windows Desktop.
When the installation finishes, the HijackThis application will launch.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. When the scan is complete, a log file should open in notepad.
On the notepad document, click Edit>Select All>Edit>Copy and then paste the contents of the log file into your next reply to this thread.

>>Please-Do Not use the Analyze This button-the results can be dangerous if misinterpreted.
>>Please-Do Not have HijackThis 'fix' anything yet. Most of what if finds will be harmless or even required.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-rights-for-admin-account.654522/
Relevancy 92.45%

I have two Windows VMs, one Windows 7 and the other Windows 8. On both machines there is an account with administrative rights. On the Windows 7 VM if I run a DOS cmd window it is run with with administrative rights. However, on the Windows 8 VM the DOS cmd window has NO administrative rights.

Has anything changed between Windiws 7 and 8 in this respect?

Thanks

A:DOS Cmd run with admin rights if run from admin account?

Hello ndean, and welcome to Eight Forums.

It's the same in Windows 8.

Elevated Command Prompt - Open in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/9968-dos-cmd-run-admin-rights-if-run-admin-account.html
Relevancy 92.45%

been about week i kept trying to get firefox to download onto my pc. But when i get it to download after that done.i go to run the installer a pop says i need to have admin rights when im on a admin account. im running win 7 64bit . i have a image of the screen that requires me to have admin rights.

A:need admin permission on a admin account

Try to create new user with admin rights and see, if same issue happens there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375907/need-admin-permission-on-a-admin-account/
Relevancy 89.01%

I deleted my admin account and now using guest account but i can't make a new admin account. Whenever i type in a name is says, The specified account name is not valid, because account names cannot contain charachters: . So i tried running cmd as an administrator then typed: net user administrator /active yes and no matter how or what i do i keep getting denied and i really need to make an admin account some programsi still cant run and projects i cant do even if i right click an d run as an administrator. So can somebody please help me.

A:deleted admin account need admin account

Specified account name is not valid because of invalid characters

You can't use some characters in account names.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/281502-deleted-admin-account-need-admin-account.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I'm trying to install a program that requires that I be logged into my Administrator account, it won't prompt for a Admin password. Can I install a program that requires Admin under Standard account, a way to bypass the requirement ?

A:Admin to Standard ?

Try right clicking on the programs's installer and select Run as Administrator, see if that helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/218065-admin-standard.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I have rad a few articles in a few places that contradict each other n just want to know what u guys think.
When i got new pc with vista, i just made normal admin account n thats all i use. Now i've read some places this is fine as in vista admin runs as standard anyway, until it comes time for a prompt then its automatically admin, and ive read in others that this is bad and ruins the purpose of admin account. So which is best? And if i am best using standard, how do i move everything from my admin to new account?

A:Admin Or Standard

This was one of the things that Vista was designed for. If it needs administrative permissions, then you've got to give it - otherwise it won't work. This way, if malware tries to install on your system, you've got one more chance to catch it.

If you use a standard account, the procedure just gets a bit more complicated - when it asks to elevate, you'll have to provide credentials for it to do it (user name and password of an administrative account).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/91437/admin-or-standard/
Relevancy 85.14%

Ok. My dad put a password on my main administrator and I accidently hit "Run as administrator" for one of my games. I made a standard account before he put as password on dunno why I did standard. Anyway now it requires a password for me to play the game. Is there a way I can change the standard account I am on now to admin so I can play?

A:Standard User to Admin

Welcome
I think that it would be the policy of the Forum to ask your Dad for the password. I am sure that you will appreciate this one day, when you are older, and have Children of your own.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/129563-standard-user-admin.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I had a prob lem with my Wacom Intuos 4 tablet. It stopped working and Wacom support said it was caused by an Windows update. They told me that I should create a new user and install the driver there. I did create a new used and installed the driver, which made the Intuos 4 work again, but not with any of the programs I use it with (Adobe programs). All of those were installed in my Admin account, the only account I had on the machine. If I make the new account an Admin account and my old account a standard one will the driver installation be available in all accounts? If I open Photoshop in the new account, it does not have my preferences, etc. I don't really want to reinstall everything in the new account and redo the preferences. Any ideas?

A:Switch Admin with standard

Hello Bob,

Does everything work ok if you log on to your original account?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/355723-switch-admin-standard.html
Relevancy 85.14%

hey everyone
there is only one standard user in my laptop (win8) and no administrator .
i cant access to anything such as : user account control , device manager , ... and even i cant install any app and it just keep saying : insert a smart card .
I've no smart card and anything like that .

A:there is no admin user - just standard

Find the tutorial that gives how to turn on the built-in administrator account. I'm not home, not on computer long enough to hunt for it.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Once inside the admin acct, maybe create an admin acct for your use, keeping the standard acct as is. Then, as needed, you can switch between your admin-level acct and std acct.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62123-there-no-admin-user-just-standard.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hey guys
i started working on my friend's grandmother's computer and ive cleaned up all of her junk but theres one problem i dont know how to fix
there's 2 administrator accounts, but they both come up in the welcome screen and i dont want one of them to because itll confuse her. somehow one has been unhidden so how can i make one hidden from this list so that it can always be safe and clean?
thanks for your help!

Relevancy 84.28%

hi everyone!
i am experiencing a very weird problem: i have 2 accounts - the first originally set to admin. then i created a second one and set that one to admin. now both accounts are "labeled" admin, but whenever i try to change the account setting they are set to "standard". trying to set either one to admin gives me no ok/proceed option. i seem to have no admin at the moment ?
very weird ......
markus

A:very annoying problem: admin changes itself to standard

wow that is wierd. Do you still have all your admin permissions other then creating/changing accounts?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/21704-very-annoying-problem-admin-changes-itself-standard.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I'm setting up a stolen laptop tracking software and want to leave a standard/non-admin user account open for a potential thief. The software requires someone to log in and connect to the internet in order to start tracking. So if I only have my personal admin account password protected, I will be out of luck. The problem is that while logged in as a standard user I am able to access recovery options. From there I can use advance startup and proceed to reset my pc. If a thief logs in and resets my pc right away, I will have no way of tracking them. I have windows 8.1 standard and have not been able to find any way from restricting access to the recovery options.

A:Non-Admin Standard User Able to Reset PC

If a potential thief has enough knowledge about computers, there's nothing you can do to stop it. You can make it harder for them to crack into the system such as put in a supervisory password in the BIOS so that before booting into Windows environment, you must enter the supervisory password. However, this password can also be cleared by using a jumper on the mother board.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/50705-non-admin-standard-user-able-reset-pc.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user When I log-in with Local built in admin user the UAC slider is set to Notify only when program try to make changes to my computer and do not dim my desktop Don't notify when I make changes to windows settings Snapshot of UAC slide bar for When see Standard user ? and admin UAC for Why slide bar different I logged in with Local admin to windows as below While for Standard user logged in with Standard user and then accessed UAC console by entering local admin credentials it is set to Always notify me and do not dim my desktop - Programs try to install Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user ? or make changes to my computer I make changes to windows settings Snapshot of UAC slide bar when logged in to windows with Standard domain user and accessed UAC console by running local admin credentials as prompted by UAC Can someone suggest whether the UAC slide bar Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user ? setting should be same for all users machine wide Amit Amit R Loya

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/51328d3e-4e2c-49c1-b60b-70046cd47138/why-i-see-different-uac-slide-bar-for-admin-and-standard-user-?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 84.28%

error code 80072efd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks This all I get. Windows Update error 80072efd

A:Can only use update thru Admin not thru Standard user.

In general this means that the MS serves are busy and cannot send requests. I see no correlation between the code and the administrative account problem
Windows Update error 80072efd As you have already read.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/123975-can-only-use-update-thru-admin-not-thru-standard-user.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I am fairly new to most admin techniques but i know you can run an application like cmd exe as an administrator while the standard user is still signed into their account Im just not sure how you do this i have tried right clicking and running as on standard using credentials a Admin user an admin but it never prompts me to enter the Admin credentials So to clarify with an example if i have a user as standard user and i want using Admin credentials on a standard user to quickly be able to delete a file from the windows system folder by keeping the current standard user still signed in how do i do this I was under the impression that if i try to use quot run as administrator quot it would then prompt me to put in my Admin credentials but it does not windows bit on a workgroup domain some of the employees i have had edited some windows files they shouldn't have so in order to prevent them from continuing to do so i made them all standard users but now i dont know how to use my admin account without having them sign out and then having to sign in with the admin account

A:using Admin credentials on a standard user

Use runas from the command line. Otherwise you need UAC active.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/328550-using-admin-credentials-standard-user.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Actually the domain user restricted from the server, that user doesn't have any desktop background setting access.if i have local client administrator previlleges can i able to change the that domain user desktop background settings.

pls help me on this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-previlleges-to-standard-user.988361/
Relevancy 84.28%

Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user ? When I log-in with Local built in admin user the UAC slider is set to: Notify only when program try to make changes to my computer (and do not dim my desktop). Don't notify when I make changes
to windows settings.

While for Standard user (logged in with Standard user and then accessed UAC console by entering local admin credentials) it is set to: Always notify me (and do not dim my desktop) - Programs try to install or make changes to my computer. I make changes to
windows settings.

Can someone suggest whether the UAC slide bar setting should be same for all users (machine wide) ?

Amit

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/923832db-9170-40d0-add7-a86f3fc506e8/why-i-see-different-uac-slide-bar-for-admin-and-standard-user-?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi all I hope this is the correct forum to be posting this If Help standard acct admin to migrating not I apologize I recently did a clean install of Home Premium x As it was my first time ever installing an OS and I needed to import my former theme and so on the only account I created was an admin account Help migrating admin acct to standard Now I've created a standard account for security's sake Is there a way to bring over my desktop icons personalizations and so on over to my standard account from my admin account I saw quot change Help migrating admin acct to standard my environment variables quot under user accounts in control panels but I'm afraid to click on any of those options and try one without asking Plus under quot configure advanced user profile properties quot it only gives my admin account of course and it doesn't give me any options as to what to DO with that account profile even when logged on as the admin Any help would be much appreciated Many thanks in advance

A:Help migrating admin acct to standard

When the os is installed you are in the Standard account when it first gets to the desktop. You would have to log out of that account and log into the admin account. Before you can log into the admin account you would have to use the command prompt box and put in some commands in order to be able to do that. Is that what you did?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/177186-help-migrating-admin-acct-standard.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Once again this forum has helped me solve a problem I was to a properties named user Transferring Admin adding a computer to my home network and in doing that I set up a user account named quot Peter quot on my computer and gave it Admin access When I next booted the original quot Administrator quot account login was no longer available and in logging in as quot Peter quot I had lost al me previous settings installations etc So I looked around here and discovered the tool run change passwords and simply deleted the Transferring Admin properties to a named user user quot Peter quot and now I'm back to where I was Whew It now occurs to me that perhaps I should have a named user account Here's my questions Is there Transferring Admin properties to a named user any advantage to having a named admin user account No one else logs into my computer If I need a named admin user account how do I transfer all my settings from to Administrator account to the new named admin account Thanks again for you always useful help Peter

A:Transferring Admin properties to a named user

you can rename the administrator account to what ever name you want. It is good practice to operate your PC under a user account with out administrative rights so when your itchy trigger finger clicks on a viruse it does not have the rights to install itself. So if you created a new user with just normal rights you could goto Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and copy everything from the Admin account to User account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/transferring-admin-properties-to-a-named-user-348331.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I need to bypass my admin password but I only have access to my standard account. I've watched YouTube videos and read forums but they all use another admin account to bypass their main admin where as I do not have another admin. I cannot use cmd because it says access is denied due to the fact that it's only a standard account. I can't download any third party software because I'll have to fill in my admin password. And don't not wish to purchase a disc. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

A:Bypass admin password with standard user

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
Your post begs the question of why can you not just login with your Admin Account? Why do you need to bypass it? Where are you downloading third party software from?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396902-bypass-admin-password-standard-user.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I recently installed a new webcam on our new desktop which is running Vista, it's a family PC and I'm the Administrator.My problem is that it appears that the Webcam program need admin rights to run so hence when a standard user runs this program they are prompted for an admin password by the user account control .Is it possible to give Standard Users temporary admin rights for this program ? or any other suggestions to get to a point where I do not need to enter my admin password every time a standard user runs this webcam program.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/temp-admin-rights-for-standard-users.655424/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello,

I've just cleaned up a massive malware infection on my grandson's computer (HP Pavilion notebook) and upgraded it to Win 10 from its native Win 8. His account is a standard user vs admin. Everything's working fine. EXCEPT, he plays an online game which requires an admin password to boot. What I'm trying to do is create access to the program without having to log him in every time. The command I'm trying to implement is:

runas /user:ComputerName\Username /savecred "C:\path\to\file.exe"

Of course I swapped out the real computer name and user name, and I've tried working with the existing shortcut pinned to the taskbar, so I know I've got the correct file path. I've also tried creating a brand new shortcut, but I can't get the program to boot. Perhaps Win 10 doesn't allow a runas command for a standard user.

Is there another way - that isn't too complicated - to do this?

A:shortcut w/admin privileges for standard user

Hello 3point1,

You would need to use the credentials of the built-in Administrator account instead for that command to work.

Elevated Program Shortcut - Create for Standard User - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56120-shortcut-w-admin-privileges-standard-user.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi
I'm working on a .NET app and I need to test this up as standard user. I am running as admin right now and I really don't wanna create a new standard account just to test this using "Run as different user" option. Any way to accomplish this?

A:Run application as standard user while logged in as admin

Quote: Originally Posted by daydr3am3r

Hi
I'm working on a .NET app and I need to test this up as standard user. I am running as admin right now and I really don't wanna create a new standard account just to test this using "Run as different user" option. Any way to accomplish this?

Daydr, I would not recommend this as it could give you the wrong action as the system would remember that your an admin.

You can create a standard account and then remove it later.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/209903-run-application-standard-user-while-logged-admin.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi
I have a stand alone computer in a work group,
I am looking for some windows script that will let me to
add a non-admin user(Standard User) to admin group from within Standard User
logon session.

Any help will be greately appriciated

Thanks
Sai

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-standard-user-to-admin-group.338221/
Relevancy 83.42%

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate - and I've noticed that from a secondary standard account, users can access the admin's files (my files) from simply going into C:/users/xxx... or by accessing them from windows search.

I want to prevent this from happening - I've tried preventing access to my user folder, but it is still accessible from another account. Scouring Google hasn't brought me results either Can anyone help resolve this problem?

A:Standard User Can Access Admin's Files

have you given admin rights to the User account in qestion?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/114523-standard-user-can-access-admins-files.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have 2 accounts on my Vista x64 installation, 1 Admin and 1 Standard User.

In Windows Explorer, the Standard User is unable to browse to the folders belonging to the Admin User (e.g C:\Users\Admin). Fine.

But.... if the Standard User uses the Search field in Windows Explorer, and chooses "Search in SubFolders", files from the whole system (which meet the search criteria) are displayed, and the Standard User can open them. This is surely a bug right?

I scratched my head wondering how my 5 year old how had managed to get my CV from my private folder to his Desktop, until I realised how he was doing it

Try it, and see if you have the same problem, and better still, post a solution if you have one.

Cheers

Adrian

A:Standard User can see Admin's private files

Type this command into the command prompt (elevated)

Icacls C:\users\admin\* /deny (username of user who is not supposed to access files):F

That should deny that user access to the files.

I think it was because you did not set him to either grant ot deny so the computer for some reason let him access them. Looks like a bug. However, if you execute that command above he will be explicitly denied access to the files.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/182780-standard-user-can-see-admins-private-files.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi i would like to know is it possible Run a particular program without UAC, I am in a situation where a program for datacard always prompts for UAC to allow connection to internet, It works when i log into admin account. But the program always asks for UAC when run from User account,

I tried creating a schedule task for starting the program from Admin account and created a shortcut for the program.

But when i run the shortcut from user account(standard) it says access denied,

System is Windows 8.1

any help on how to disable UAC for standard user for particular program will help a lot,

Thanks,

A:Admin access from standard user for particular program

You could probably check the properties of the datacard and select it to "always run in admin mode", like you can for software.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/admin-access-from-standard-user-for-particular-program-993418.html
Relevancy 82.56%

My friend recently bought a new Windows 8 laptop which she set up in her name and therefore has a passworded Admin account. I also partitioned the HD so that the smaller portion (C) contains the OS and the larger portion (D) is for all her files.

Since I am only using the laptop temporarily my passworded 'standard' user account is located in (C) and cannot be viewed by anybody else, however, I can view my friend's files which are now being stored in 'D'.

Is there a way to protect the files in the 'D' partition in the same manner as if all accounts were on one drive and password protected?

Tom.

A:Windows 8 admin/standard user access issues

It's in the NTFS permissions - - ever look / change those?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-8-admin-standard-user-access-issues.189297/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi!
I have few computers, all running win7 home premium 64bit WITH SERVICE PACK 1 !
Unfortunately only some of them gives me the option to type administrator password when I'm trying to change configuration/install applications and such.

I'm not sure what is the different between these computers, maybe I'm missing something.

Please help me find how to enable this option on the other computers, It is really handy for me.

Thanks!

A:Pop-up to type Admin password when login to a Standard user

Is this what you are looking for?

UAC - Require a Password for Administrator

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/160894-pop-up-type-admin-password-when-login-standard-user.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi,

I apologize if this is a duplicate or anything. I need to find a way to allow a standard user to execute a program that requires administrative access. I have attempted to set the program in compatibility to run as administrator but this has no effect on the standard user. For this program to execute it will still prompt them for an admin login before it opens.

This entire issue is negated if I make the user a local administrator but this isn't a long term solution I want to be using. Is there a way to keep UAC turned on but to allow the program to run for specific users? I'm open to any suggestions that do not compromise local security and appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you,

A:How to disable UAC password prompt for Standard User without admin?

Welcome to SevenForums McServer!

Take a look at this tutorial by Brink. Is this what you want to do?

Elevated Program Shortcut - Create for Standard User

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/215715-how-disable-uac-password-prompt-standard-user-without-admin.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello-
my son, set up as a standard user
plays a game on my Vista box (32 bit Ultimate) called FIFA Online 2.
It will only run if you right click the shortcut and select "run as administrator" -
at which point he enters my credentials (his father - the Administrator).

(This requirement for ADMIN mode is documented on the game's website)

Problem is, once he knows my password, he can now do anything he likes.
He might as well be an Admin.

How can I set things up so that he is is not able to elevate his privilege
to Administrator, except for just this one game.

It must be possible; I've been reading up on UAC, but so far I don't see how
to do it.

Perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way? Thanks for any info.
Dave

A:standard user needs Admin security context for one game

Dave
Magons Lius suggestion may work (using cmd prompt)
Let us know so we all can learn
Open a CMD prompt and type

runas /?

then hit the <Enter> key. What you are looking for is the use of the runas
command in combination with its /user and /savecred switches. You create a
shortcut to the application you want to run with admin credentials, but the
shortcut invokes the application through runas instead of directly.

The first time you launch the software in the end user's account using that
shortcut you will be prompted for a password. You supply the password that
one time. From then on the shortcut uses the stored credentials you gave it.

Best Regards
Magon Liu
MS technet

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/294913-standard-user-needs-admin-security-context-one-game.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello,
Guys, I've been using an admin account till now for my customization needs and registry tweaks as i got annoyed by frequent pop-ups and permission thingy. Well, now it's all set to my needs.
Now, i'm thinking to convert my admin account into standard one.
Well, i know i can always create another admin account, log in to that account and convert my account into standard account.
I just wanted to know is there any chances of getting something like my profile getting messed up and losing my all hard work made to customize it to my needs.
Is their any other way of doing it? Or this method is itself the safest way? Also, how do i backup my user profile and it's settings aka configuration to restore if something goes wrong?
Sorry for so many noobvious questions as I've had never felt in need of it before.

A:Converting admin acc. to standard acc. & backing up user profile

Hello Ezio,

You will have to have at least one administrator account created on your computer at all times. If you did not want to use it for everyday use anymore, then it would be best to password protect it (if not already) and use the standard account instead. If you did not have an administrator account, then you would not be able to install programs or be able to make any changes that affect the system and other users.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/132615-converting-admin-acc-standard-acc-backing-up-user-profile.html
Relevancy 82.56%

and now I'm stuck. I cant install some programs or drivers because the Admin user is disable.

How I did it?
I changed my user in the "control panel"to a "Standart User" and I used the "Local users and groups" to disable the Administrator account. How can I now get administration?

A:I made my user to be a Standard Users but admin disable

Hello Jiddisch, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Usually when you do not have an administrator account available to log in with, you can boot into Safe Mode through the Advanced Boot Options screen to use the built-in Administrator account to then change your account back to an administrator account type instead.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/7008-i-made-my-user-standard-users-but-admin-disable.html