Windows Support Forum

How to access local account w/o switching of admin accnt?

Q: How to access local account w/o switching of admin accnt?

Hi,

I have Windows 8 on an HP Envy. Please note that I am technologically challenged. A technician had to create a local admin account on my computer to connect to a Xerox printer (it would not recognized my Microsoft Admin account). The technician was able to activate and access the local admin account without switching out of my main admin Microsoft account. I cannot remember the steps: How do I do that? The only option I find is to switch accounts but I only want to access the local account through my regular account. Please help. Thanks. SH

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47466-how-access-local-account-w-o-switching-admin-accnt.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to access local account w/o switching of admin accnt?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 103.63%

Hello guys Please help me find a way to solve my problem Yesterday when I first set up Win I have created a windows account with my email Soon after I have realized that my C Users folder was messed up it was a shorter version of my email so I decided to swith to a local account instead and to my huge surprise I have love every right to change anything I have tried every solution I have found on the internet I am able to boot in save mode but the cmd doesn't point to the system so I cannot execute NET USER Win local from after Lost account switching to one rights Admin 10 ADMINISTRATOR ACTIVE YES I spent hours and I couldn't fix it I even switched back to the win account and I still do not have any rights to make changes I can't even make changes in control panel in safe mode It's getting frustrating and after the update the solutions on the other forums do not even make sence anymore I just want a local acount with my right name and administrator rights Please help

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/70169-lost-admin-rights-after-switching-win-10-account-local-one.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I have discovered that there is a difference between the original local "Administrator" account and my (local) admin account. For instance my admin account cannot add a new user, whereas "Administrator" can.

I absolutely do not want an MS online account - I want to have a local Admin account (not "Administrator" itself) but with the same rights as Administrator, for example being able to add a new user.

This was possible in previous versions of Windows - can it still be achieved and if so, how?

A:Give Local account with Admin rights, same access as "Administrator"?`

You need to add your new local account to the administrators group. To do this log in with your original Administrator account. Then open an elevated command prompt (right click on start and select Command Prompt (admin).

Then type: net localgroup administrators "UserName" /add

where UserName is the name of your new local account.

You can check which users belong to the various groups with these commands:
net localgroup guests
net localgroup users
net localgroup administrators

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56221-give-local-account-admin-rights-same-access-administrator.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,
I am working on a 2012 ADDS based network and I have the following requirement.
I want to create a local administrator user account on the local domain computers (Win XP, 7 and 8) which will have full access on the PC but not the permission to edit other local administrator accounts.
Please advise how I can achieve this.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

A:local admin account with no permit to edit other admin accounts

Local admin account by definition has access to everything and even if it doesn't it can take ownership and give itself the rights. In other words i am not sure that you can achieve what you
are trying to do.

I would suggest create a single shared local admin account and give it your desktop admins, change the password every 60-90 days to keep it more secure. This is common practice in many
organizations.

http://www.dannyeckes.com/create-local-admin-group-policy-gpo/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/125eabac-06f7-45ee-9792-f642c82eab2e/local-admin-account-with-no-permit-to-edit-other-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi I have accidentally changed the admin account to a local user and now cannot make any changes to my laptop. I am using an ASUS brand and when I click on manage user accounts it pops up with a screen "connect smart card". Kindly help, thanks in advance.

Relevancy 79.98%

Hi, I only have one account in my Win8.1x64 PC. It was "Admin" (Standard user was not available, grayed). I tried to change it to "Standard" using Local Policy Group and now the account changed to "Local Account" and whatever I want to do (Change UAC settings, open Local Policy Group,check disk for errors, etc etc) I get the attached message below.I can't even press "YES" as it's grayed. How can I disable UAC and return my account to Administrator? Thanks

A:Admin account changed to Local Account/Can't disable UAC

Please follow the steps in this thread:
Accidentally changed the admin account to a local account

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/50291-admin-account-changed-local-account-cant-disable-uac.html
Relevancy 79.55%

recently my father has passed away and he didnt tell me the password to the administrator accnt on windows 2000. i dont know of any other user accnts and have no idea what to do.

A:dont know password to admin accnt

I've never had this problem before, but a friend of mine did. He installed XP, then put in a password then forgot it.
He had to reinstall XP. If there is another way to do it, I don't know what it is. Sorry

Prospect

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dont-know-password-to-admin-accnt.135093/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi

During the installation of Windows 8 RTM 64-bit, I have created a local account.

Now, I would switch to my Microsoft account online.

Then, from the Users tab of the "PC Settings" screen, I clicked on "switch to a Microsoft account" button. At this point, a login window is displayed, but with only the password field. Therefore, where I insert my E-Mail login?

Thanks

Bye

A:Switching from a local to online account

Hello Balubeto,

The password field is just for you to enter the password for your current local account. That's all. Afterwards, you will be prompted to enter your email address and such. The tutorial below can help give you more details on how to do this and what you will see.

Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/9273-switching-local-online-account.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Can a local user acount with admin privelages be created in users as a local machine acct?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589592/createing-admin-account-local-account/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,
Currently logging in to my win8.1 PC with a local account. I'm considering switching to an MS account, but I'm wondering if there are going to be any gotchas if I do so. For example, will I lose access to any fileshares I have permissions to with my local account, or is the local account maintained behind the scenes? I assume files and settings, and any third party product licences will be unaffected?

Thanks,
Kev

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/66865-side-effects-switching-local-ms-account.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi everybody I ve been having some trouble when it comes to switching from one account to another and I m wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them I am running Win XP Home with SP and all current updates installed There are only two accounts on my machine one Administrator and one limited user Limited From Admin To Account Switching Trouble account and each is password protected I log on to the admin account and everything seems to be fine although things seem to load slow at times Later when I try to switch over and log on to a limited account one of two things has been happening I Everything works normally or The limited account starts to load up then just gets stuck and nothing works Whenever happens I have to manually hold the PCs power off on button in until the machine goes off and then restart it OK that s part of the problem here s some more When I try to switch users back from the limited user to admin there are about three different things that will happen My favorite everything works normally The admin account will open briefly then quickly close going back to it s screen saver and requiring you to reenter the password to get in however if I keep the mouse moving while switching users it doesn Trouble Switching From Limited To Admin Account t do that Everything on the screen flickers and then disappears leaving a blank E Machine background and just stops right Trouble Switching From Limited To Admin Account there with nothing working Here again I have to shut down and restart the machine And here s some more of the problem everything will just hang from time to time whenever the limited account is simply Trouble Switching From Limited To Admin Account being logged off of I don t think that it is a malware related problem because I have recently submitted a HJT log on a different problem and received a clean bill of health from the malware section OK so have any of you run into anything like this if so what to do to overcome this problem Thanks in advance for any help Wendy

A:Trouble Switching From Limited To Admin Account

how recently did the problem start?
Did you installed/uninstalled any software/hardware before the problem started?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/55616/trouble-switching-from-limited-to-admin-account/
Relevancy 76.97%

Have two Administrator accounts, both are shown as "Local. " Cannot delete/change the type of account. Windows keeps telling me I am signed in to the account.
HELP

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/34557-two-local-admin-account.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hey guys I have yet another problem question I am trying to catch up on all the little jobs that I have been putting off for the last in Domain a Admin Local Account few months Todays job is locking down security The company that created our main application keeps the servers it runs on maintained and up to date so they need to have full admin access to the servers it runs off Now they connect to us using our Citrix system and up until now they have Local Admin Account in a Domain had Domain admin status I know this shouldnt be done but we have a very good relationship with them So today I figured I would remove their domain admin status and make it so they are admins of the servers they need to be therefore limiting what they have access to I would normally sort this out by going to the machine they will be working on and adding the user id to the Local Administrators group however when I go into control panel on the servers they do not have a quot useres and computers quot option So my question is how can I make them admin of the servers and not have access anywhere else on the network nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-admin-account-in-a-domain.372504/
Relevancy 76.11%

Folks I have a network laptop with local admin priviledges When I gave the laptop to our IT department to configure the unit as a corporate network laptop I had set up a local admin account on the unit However when the system was returned to me the local account admin XP Windows local admin account on the laptop had been changed to Debugger Users group Anyway in addition to my Windows XP local admin account local Admin account corporate IT also has a Windows XP local admin account local admin account that they use to administer corporate network computers I removed my local admin account from the Debugger Users group hoping to move it into the local admin users group However this is not panning out Although my local admin account will Windows XP local admin account log on locally onto the laptop it currently has no local group membership on the laptop I think I now have two options Call IT Dept to remotely log onto my laptop and move the account I created as a local admin account which currently has no local group membership or use linux utility to remove the password set on their local group account in other to have administrator priviledges on my laptop so that I can move my local admin account currently with no local group membership to local administrators group on my laptop and ask them to reset that password after or call IT Dept to do it Any ideas I prefer not to call IT Dept on this one Thanks in advance Joe nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi

Ive stumbled across a problem that has been causing me grief for a few days now, every time I try to access my hard drive (C disk) it says, access is denied. Also, i cant edit permissions because I've lost admin rights. Ive tried many things including unlocking the system admin, this lets me access a few extra things like being able to use the sfc command in cmd, however, it doesn't allow me to access the C disk or change permission because it also has lost admin rights? I fear that this is a bad problem and I don't know how it happened. I have tried restoring to a previous date and that doesn't work either.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shimin4tor

A:[SOLVED] Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account

Hi and welcome to TSF so you have tried win 7 hidden admin Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista
have you installed or downloaded anything in the recent past

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-access-denied-to-c-disk-and-lost-admin-rights-to-system-admin-account-693530.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Trying to install a program and get error "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

I have noticed that this error messege is almost selective when it comes to installing programs, some programs I can install without a problem, other times I get this error messege over and over again.

I am try to install using the local admin account, and my account as well, which also has admin priviledges. Both accounts cannot install. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this???

Relevancy 75.25%

I would like to setup an Local Admin account named "TOM". TOM account should be the account that is used when the laptop is first boots up after installation.

With Windows XP, I was able to setup a Administrator "TOM" account without an additional Administrator Account. I would like to do the same in Vista/Windows 7.

A:Setup up Local Admin Account unattend

Quote: Originally Posted by Senathon

I would like to setup an Local Admin account named "TOM". TOM account should be the account that is used when the laptop is first boots up after installation.

With Windows XP, I was able to setup a TOM account without an Administrator Account. I would like to do the same in Vista/Windows 7.

seneathon

Ok you can sertainly create a tom admn account but not on first boot, I am confused.
First you say Tom admin
then Tom account without an admin account?

Could you explain

Thanks

Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/35608-setup-up-local-admin-account-unattend.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I have been using Windows 10 for months with only minor issues. I log in today and try to make a change and was unable to do so. I rebooted and when I logged in, it said I had a local account. Between yesterday and today, somehow my admin account was changed to local by windows. I am unable to fix this problem because I can't login as admin now. When I go to user accounts in control panel, it says my account name and below it, Local Account AND below that, Guest account. Any ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/55200-windows-10-changed-my-admin-account-local.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello, I am on a domain at my job and amd setting up a laptop for a user. We always set everyone up on the domain, but I am wanting to set up a local admin account, not on our domain so they cannot access all of our files. What is the best way to go about this?

A:Creating a local admin account NOT on domain

Hello Mike,

I don't have any experience with domains, but you might see if the local built-in elevated Administrator account may work for this.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306910-creating-local-admin-account-not-domain.html
Relevancy 75.25%

how can i open the local admin account on my system ? i have forgotten the password. do i have to format it right away ?FOTTEM

A:HOW TO OPEN A FOGOTTEN LOCAL ADMIN ACCOUNT

What operating system are you running? Be specific, Windows 7 is an OS, yes, however knowing the version of 7 is important. So if it's Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional or Windows Vista Business, or whatever it is, let us know. Most home versions DON'T have the administrator account enabled.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-open-a-fogotten-local-admin-account-642037.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello,
Just updated to 8.1. Still undecided. Specifically I somehow managed to get the admin apps shown on the was M$ account, now my local account start page. I can not figure out how to get rid of them. I hope someone with more experience can guide me.
Also can not figure out how to put the admin apps in my admin account.
Thanks for all assistance!
glennc

A:Put admin apps in local account and can't remove

Hello Glenn,

Please go ahead and post a screenshot of this to see if it may help to ID the issue.

Do you mean the Administrative Tools on the Start screen by chance?

Administrative Tools - Hide or Show in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/33936-put-admin-apps-local-account-cant-remove.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Is it possible to change local administrator account names on PCs across a network to a uniform name by running a login script? I'm pretty sure it is possible, but I really need to know where I could find such a script.

TIA,

roto

A:Script for changing local admin account name?

Are all these windows machines? Or are you running in a mixed environment? Is this a workgroup or domain environment? Are the machines running a remote control client (Altiris, ZenWorks, etc.) of some kind?

Do you actually need to rename the account? Or are you just looking for a standard local admin account?

If it is a Windows environment I'd recommend you write a script that creates a user on the local machine, assigns the user to the local administrators group, and creates a password for the new account. Next, have the script disable the local administrator account. Run the script against all the machines on the network and you're there.

This would be a great intro to WMI scripting and Microsoft's script-o-matic would get you started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/script-for-changing-local-admin-account-name.364074/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi guys when my pc gets to the first screen where you choose your account my admin account has changed from my name to 'Other user' and when I click on it it asks for a username and password. Also trying to access files from the admin account when it prompts me with a password I enter it and the dialogue box goes away as if it has accepted the password but does not let me access the files. Any help appreciated thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/381483-admin-account-corrupted-cant-access-files-using-admin-p-w.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I have two users in Win 10. First is My Self an Administrator and second one is a Local User. In Computer Management I stopped sharing of My Self Folder. It is showing now "not shared". In C drive user folders, I clicked My Self Folder and clicked stop sharing but even than Local User is able to view My Self Documents and Desktop etc. Please advise.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/44498-how-stop-local-user-view-documents-admin-account.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I have a non-admin user who needs to write to different external hard drives all the time. Yes, I can give the user security rights on the external hard drive individually. However, the user will need me to do this everytime unless I give the user admin rights. This is not an option.

So far I have tried the following and have failed:

-removed the user from everyone group (assuming the user was inheriting a right that was preventing him from writing the external hard drive)
-added the user to the power users group
-added the user to secpol.msc > local policies > User Rights Assignments > Take ownership of files or other objects (i believe this would work for interal files but not external files such as external hard drives)

any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks,

A:local non-admin account cannot write to several external hard drives

In as a few words possilbe, the users needs the ability to take ownership of files/folders on an external hard drive in order to write to it

First I gave the user ability to 'Take ownership of Files/folders' by doing the following:

start > run > secpol.msc > local policies > user rights assignment > 'Take ownership of files or other objects'

*add the user

. . . not done yet because this only gives the user the ability to 'Take ownership of files or other objects' . . . it doesn't give the user the ability to write to the external drive

*also, since there are ton of steps involved in taking ownership I wanted to make it simple for the user to do this . . . so I installed a registry hack found online to give the user 'Take ownership' option in the right-click > properties menu

*installed the registry hack to give the user the ability to take ownership of 'files and folder' --

. . . explained to user to create folder, then take ownership through the new option added in the prperties menu, then write files/folders to the external hard drive in the newly created folder

Done. This takes admin out of the equation and allows me to maintain strict IT policy of not giving the user admin rights.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/103249-local-non-admin-account-cannot-write-several-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi, we upgraded from sbs2003 server to sbs2008 server. We removed the pc from the old domain and then added it to the new domain. Something went wrong after we joined the new domain it doesn't see the new domain for login and the local Administrator account has been disabled. The only account available is the guest account. Is there a way to enable the local administrator account again?

A:Can't login to local admin account after joining sbs2008 domain

You can try this but without any slides or full explanation.. I don't know....

If you can go into a user account with administration rights than you can go into command prompt and type:

Note: elevate the dos command to admin

net user administrator /active:yes

If you cannot log into an admin account: than you have to boot into dos from a bootable CD

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/138328-cant-login-local-admin-account-after-joining-sbs2008-domain.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a set of folder I encrypted from my user account. I haven't figured out how to access them from my admin account.

In reverse, while logged on my admin account, I droppped some files into folder encrypted by my user account. I can't access those files when I log on as a user.

How can I get access to all my encrypted files regardless of which logon I use?

A:Access my user account encrypted files from my admin account?

Umm...if you could access encrypted files from another user that would remove the whole point of encrypting the files to begin with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/180997-access-my-user-account-encrypted-files-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 71.81%

citrix administrator logging on locally has no access permissions and cant view drive

Relevancy 71.81%

So I had to send my original schoolcomputer in for repairing My very rude I might add IT-staff at school did not include local admin for the temporary computer I did try to ask him for local admin as I Getting access to local admin need to change certain network-settings in order for my update Getting access to local admin my network-drivers When asking the IT-staff for local admin reasoning with the fact that I cannot access the internet properly due to the drivers not being uptodate they simply wrote me off saying that I didn t need it They did however challenge me get local admin claiming that they wouldn t care as long as I didn t cause any harm to the computer I have a normal local user connected to the schooldomain It is still connected to the domain-name after leaving the schoolnetwork where my username is DOMAIN username I am not able to access BIOS do any changes in group policy or system and naturally all the CMD-commands we did at junior high when we were twelve does not work The BIOS is set to automatically boot from the HDD thus any tricks involving iso files and CD USB-drives will not work How should I go about recovering resetting or removing the local administrator password I am using Windows

A:Getting access to local admin

Sorry, you need to get what you want from your school, not a support site.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473769/getting-access-to-local-admin/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi First time poster here I am (DOMAIN) access No admin local in my first year being in the IT world I was hired in as a helping hand to the Admin here and then he quit Now I find myself in an interesting position as he has not yet been replaced Anyway A machine was recently reformatted and re-added to the domain Even though the computer is located in the proper OU in AD and the user is configured on the machine as a local admin there are still greyed out boxes in many places and she is told she does not have the proper access when she tried to install things from her domain account on the machine We have a guy in that office with full Domain power I kind of wonder if he might have added the machine to the domain and THEN changed the computer name Wouldn t that cause some No local admin access (DOMAIN) kinds of issues I am waiting response from him on that Can t really think of any more relevant details nbsp

A:No local admin access (DOMAIN)

Well, as soon as I posted this the guy responded. He found under documents and settings the username as well as another entry of username.domain, but with standard directories underneath(desktop, favorites, etc). Problem seems to have gone away. I'm still curious why the two user profiles were created. Maybe he added her user name during OS installation?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-local-admin-access-domain.695548/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi We upgraded our desktops from Windows XP to Windows Admin Local Admin Group Rights local without Assign with Windows XP we used the resource kit s CDROMLOCK EXE to lock down CD and DVD Once installed a user had to be in the local administrators group to access a CD or DVD on that desktop For Windows it is not Windows compatible so I run the EXE in Vista SP- Compatibility mode which works perfect My question With a user in the local admin group they have access to the CD and DVD but also have full access to the desktop which is of concern Does anyone know how to assign a user name Either local Desktop or a Server domain account to a Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group service or Exe Is there a way to either create a folder with full rights and then put the exe in the folder giving the user full admin rights to the folder or assign full admin rights to s single EXE file I am just not sure how Windows controls local admin rights other than the local Admin Group If Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group this is in the wrong group please move Thanks B nbsp

A:Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group

You should be able to right-click on the exe file, then choose properties. On the "Compatibility" tab, there should be a checkbox for "Run as administrator", which you can check (enable) and save settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/assign-local-admin-rights-without-local-admin-group.1123053/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hey everyone First post here as we are prevent How My all to local do users I Documents Admin's the access having some issues at How do I prevent all users access to the local Admin's My Documents my job We're a small sized school district and we are in the process of currently attempting to create a universal image to roll out across the district As part of the initial process we are following a spiceworks directed tutorial to create the image and we are enabling the local administrator account After imaging there are How do I prevent all users access to the local Admin's My Documents a few other things that need to be done on each individual machine so we have a quot tech quot folder set up to allow our techs to go step by step to get the machine to where we want it to be Once a machine is imaged it is then added to our domain The issue we are having is that whether we place this How do I prevent all users access to the local Admin's My Documents 'tech' folder on the desktop the Admin's desktop or the Admin's My Documents folder any other user on the computer even non-admins are getting access to the Administrator's user folders including desktop and documents This means that any enterprising student can search hard enough and find it and then access the files in the tech folder Now it is our practice to then disable the local admin account after imaging before sending the machine out However on the off chance one of the techs forgets or has a lapse in procedure this could result in a few non-critical but still important pieces of software being accessible to all users Our question is this What could be causing this lapse in policy Or are we misunderstanding the way Win operates the local Admin account Our understanding is that no users should by default have access to the Admin's files so there must be something in the way we are creating the image that is causing this issue Is there something we can do using domain GPOs or local GPOs to prevent this The image we are using is a SYSprepped generalized image of Windows professional bit Our domain is using Windows Server R We have fairly strict GPOs on our domain but are unsure where to locate this specific issue Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there is any other information needed I will be glad to provide what I can Thanks

A:How do I prevent all users access to the local Admin's My Documents

No users have access to any other user's profile directory. "C:\Users\[username]" The only way they can get access is if they are an Administrator. The next way is if you are changing the permissions to give everyone access. But the default state for Windows is no user has access to another user's profile directory. Most likely you have done something to set it up to give users access or your method for detecting this is flawed. (I.e. you are using an Admin account to check the access of the directory, an Admin account can and will override permissions to give itself access.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/371760-how-do-i-prevent-all-users-access-local-admins-my-documents.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi Guys,

This is driving me crazy (again!) I am trying to fix my friends laptop as I believe possibly some malware is around. He has set himself up a a standard user which was not the smartest of moves. I cannot run any applications without UAC blocking my every move. When I try to open the command prompt (run) and run as administrator it asks me to contimue, "type an administrator password and then click OK". BUT BUT there is nowhere to type this password and indeed the last time I opened up the hidden admin account I was granted access in through ...no probs....this time nope!! I read somewhere that this could be a high level malware attack which takes control of UAC apart from this the PC "seem" to be operating ok.

Any ideas??

Many Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/215347-no-access-admin-account.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I forgot the password to my admin account, so I have to use the guest account. However, the guest account won't let me change or download things without the admin password. I've tried downloading software to get the password, but it won't let me. Please help, I can't afford to reboot my computer.

--James

Relevancy 68.37%

I cannot access my admin account on my pc. I get as far as the log on screen, enter my password, then the following error message appears: "Your account has been disabled. Please see your system administrator".
I only have 1 account on this machine (the account i cant access!!!). The computer is connected to a network.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dougie

Relevancy 68.37%

Can't access my admin account. Mistakenly replaced the standard and admin accounts. I tried creating an admin account with gmail adress. Didn't get any email on google account or a password for the account. Now I can't access it and I'm stuck with a standard account. Did anyone have the same/similar problem?

A:Can't access admin account on win 8.1

Hello Mario, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You might see if you may be able to use OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to enable the built-in Administrator account at boot. Afterwards, sign in to it to fix your account.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59414-cant-access-admin-account-win-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, x64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2046 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 211033 MB, Free - 113066 MB; D: Total - 27439 MB, Free - 17447 MB;
Motherboard: iQon.ie, 945GZM-S2, ,
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated and Enabled:

eek:
when i try to access the admin account, it says "The user profile service service failed the logon. user profile cannot be loaded.
i cannot delete programs in control panel, the pc has 4 accounts, all password protected as well as admin. dya think it's something fixable or pc hospital. i asked for (and got, yay!) an external hard drive for my bday but am scared of messing and still not sorting the problem.
any advice gratefully received.

A:cannot access admin account

I've encounter this problem in win xp not in vista yet. But I believe the solution maybe about the same. Do you now using guest profile,normal user profile or admin profile? Because you say that the pc has 4 accounts that has password protected as well as admin. I suggest you read:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/1...-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

make sure that you read carefully instruction on both of the website. If you can try to obtain at least one admin account to do this fix. Have you try to boot in safe mode to delete the account?? I believe that maybe that the admin account that you want to access is corrupted. well good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-admin-account.986520/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi, I've been given a works laptop windows 8 with a user account but need to make changes to settings at will,as the administrator is virtually impossible to get hold of. I was wondering if I managed to hack that account whether it would affect the overall company domain or just the pc.hope you can understand my explanation as I'm no cyber chimp.also is there a way to access admin status without being found out!!

A:Access to admin account on pc

If it's a works machine then no you're out of luck. IT have purposely limited the machine for a reason of security. If you do hack it they will know.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/access-admin-account-pc-4605090/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi guys fairly new to win but I do remember quite fondly and everything else leading up to this leadbelly software Ok first and last bitch My son account access HELP!! admin Cant decided to give my mother his new then PC She has a slow dial up and in the transition of adding her as admin and deleting him the network failed long enough to HELP!! Cant access admin account not allow her admin status to take effect but oddly enough allowing him to be deleted as admin no big deal I thought clueless as to the throttling grip MS has added to to date I have tried everything to resolve this issue but foiled at every turn Problem is the YES button is never highlighted in every event to add an admin password I have followed pretty much most quot solutions quot only to be be mocked at the finish line with no YES button ANY assistance would be welcomed Thanks Rob By the by I have since bought the Princess Bride and myself laptops each with Win and was quite happy until I upgraded to and lost my desktop pic Bizarre goneski and after searching forever found the pix in some obscure folder not of my making What is this dark majic you dabble in Mister Gates

A:HELP!! Cant access admin account

Have you tried to turn on the built in Administrator account?

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

You can use this to then make a new Administrator type user.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35097-help-cant-access-admin-account.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi,

Can we give the local area connection icon(which will be at the right end of the task bar) complete access to the local user which is not having admin privileges as we give some time and date permissions if required to the local user which is not having admin privileges like that.

Awaiting for the reply.

A:local area connection icon access - non admin user in windows

help me on this please

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-icon-access-non-admin-user-in-windows.958659/
Relevancy 67.94%

Ran into an odd issue last night that I cannot fully understand. I will keep it short, but the basic jist is: I was trying to rename a local profile to [username].old so when they logged back into the domain, it rebuilt from scratch. However, even logged in as local admin to the PC, I kept getting access denied. At one point, I was getting a NTUSER error when trying to rename.

Was trying to rename through backdoor [\\[pcname]\c$, then going to doc&settings] as well as simply going to the C drive locally, no dice.

Tried rebooting twice, still no dice. This PC is in, what my job considers, a high security sec group, so maybe the GPOs being applied to the PC as it connects to the domain is tying up the local profiles?

A:[SOLVED] access denied to rename local profile, logged as admin

nm, just asked a coworker. says a reboot will usually kill anything tying up the profiles, if not, he uses a tool called LockHunter to find out what is accessing the profile and kills it from there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-access-denied-to-rename-local-profile-logged-as-admin-628994.html
Relevancy 67.51%

i need help im tired of watching silent videos from youtube im pretty decent at looking up information fix account admin to can't driver access on the web but i couldnt provide this time so bare with me as this is my first time posting anything in any forum i have a computer that my download happy stepmom screwed up and crashed it worked great untill she went can't access admin account to fix driver crazy and spent - hours a day everyday on myspace and she evidently followed every lead from myspace to download something a total of about gb worth can't access admin account to fix driver of downloads and then it crashed when i was on vacation and because can't access admin account to fix driver she couldnt get off myspace for a week untill i got home she did a system recovery herself without any technical knowledge or experience and ever since then there has been no sound she had me try to fix it once but she had withdraws after about minutes and kicked me off to go download more crap she moved out and i finally have unrestricted time allowances four months later with no way of backing up all my music videos documents and almost legal programs i cant seem to log on to the admin account to replace the driver manually XP home legacy with downloaded SP and as for a list of programs way to extensive to list when i boot into safe mode the screen pops up with the user account and the admin account no password but when i click on the admin account it says quot loading personal settings quot and then thats it i have control of the mouse up untill a time several hours later but it never leaves that screen when i click on the user account the thing logs right in i figured since the user account has admin abilities i could delete the defective driver manually but it says i dont have rights to do that i dont know what to do next so whatever anyone can do to help thanks nbsp

A:can't access admin account to fix driver

can everybody say something even if they dont know anything that way this post stays at the top please im tired of watching silent youtube videos

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-admin-account-to-fix-driver.730029/
Relevancy 67.51%

hope this is the right forum, apologize if it isn't.

I'm running xp sp2 on my laptop. I was having trouble getting Inet Explorer 7 to run ( I use Mozilla) so I created a new user account to see if it would work there. . I gave it admin privileges and a password. Now, my other admin account is gone and I can't access any admin files from my new account. I reviewed the forums and found this is a common problem but I couldn't find any resolution for my specific problem. Please help! I would hate to erase my hardrive and re-install windows! I have too many files that I'd hate to lose.

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi, hope someone can help me with this.

I switched on the Guest account and changed the account type to admin, then turned my only other account from admin to standard, then turned off guest account, i done this as i was told it is best to only use a standard account on a day to day basis, anyway i now cannot access the "manage another account" page, i get a popup with "To continue, type in an administrator password and then click yes" point is there is no password setup in either the guest account or the standard one, cannot do anything without that popup happening. I cannot access the guest account because it is switched off.

any advise is most welcome.

A:Can't Access Admin Account to make changes

See here:

User Account - Reset Password in Windows 7 - Sevenforums
How to Reset Your Forgotten Windows Password the Easy Way - How-To Geek
How to Reset Your Windows Password Without an Install CD - How-To Geek

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/269456-cant-access-admin-account-make-changes.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Omg my comp is so screwy First thing I noticed was that my help and support didn't work but i managed to reinstall some dll's and fixed it on Access Denied Admin Account! My system restore doesn't work It just says windows can not find lt link tree gt please type in name correctly and try again I could not fix that one Then I changed my SID with a SID generator to use a program Then after that my sister can not access her files in her account ne more It just said access denied as soon as she logs in Only recycle bin is on the desktop Wallpaper reverted to original All her icons on desktop is gone I tried accessing her account through my own whcih has full admin priviledges but i got denied btw i also get denied looking at d and e drives sometimes I tried making a new admin account but that one couldnt access my sisters account also Then I read somewhere I should go Access Denied on Admin Account! into safe mode and make a new admin account But when I tried I couldnt even load into safe mode My comp loaded a bunch of what I assumed to be files or processes or sumthing and then restarted saying it failed to load So now I had to load in normal mode and create an account here and type all this HELP ME I AM CRYING

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (desktop machine). The machine has a number of accounts, each of which are logged in and running programs.

I've considered running VMs, but I don't want to break the licencing on the software that I am running. So, I am stuck with running multiple user accounts.

I'd like to be able to access the desktop of the other accounts without logging out and changing user. I considered the possibility of using remote desktop, but in this scenario, the computer has a single IP address.

Any suggestions for how to do this, or whether it is even possible?

Thanks

Christopher

A:How to access desktop of local user account

Why do you need different user accounts like this? The explanation doesn't make sense.
What keeps you from having everything under your named User account?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/247323-how-access-desktop-local-user-account.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Okay guys this actually happened a while back and I never got round to fixing it, but basically when I turn my PC I see my guest account and what used to be my admin account, it used to be called Curt and now is saying Other user and I actually have to type the name and password in and it says that it is incorrect. It's also running very slowly so it takes a while for normal actions. Help is hugely appreciated, thank you.

A:Admin account corrupted, can't access it or any of its files.

Quote: Originally Posted by curtfh

...I actually have to type the name and password in and it says that it is incorrect....

I would use the tool mentioned in option 5 of this tutorial to remove the password:
User Account - Reset Password in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/390781-admin-account-corrupted-cant-access-any-its-files.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I've posted about this the other day, and I now have reason to believe that a virus is part of the problem. I have an admin account, and every other account on my computer is an admin account, yet none of them can access MSCONFIG, or install stuff. I get registry errors when I try to install, but I can still access REGEDIT.

Anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it (short of re-formatting)?

Relevancy 67.08%

So I've been recently having issues with permissions or something related to it I first noticed it when I would always get this security prompt when attempting to open a shortcut to Teamspeak Now I'm just trying to install a program and Admin Denied account while using Access 5: Error it's saying that I don't have rights to the Local Temp folder Obviously the first Error 5: Access Denied while using Admin account thing I checked what whether or not my account was still an administrator Check Then I made sure UAC was turned off Check Then I went ahead and attempted Error 5: Access Denied while using Admin account to give myself Full Access permissions to the entire C drive Then I get these Access Denied errors using Error 5: Access Denied while using Admin account this process and I have no idea why Which also says the same thing about Program Files It did allow me to take ownership of the drive s though Of course I attempted to Google the issue and tried many methods including several from these forums Error applying security http www sevenforums com tutorials rmissions html I don't know what else to try thus why I'm here Thanks

A:Error 5: Access Denied while using Admin account

I was able to resolve the File Security prompt for opening shortcuts (i.e. Teamspeak 3) by enabling 'Launching applications and unsafe files' in Internet Options. BUT I'm still getting the permissions error and cannot give myself full access!

I've also noticed that there are about three updates that I cannot install. I'm sure this has to do with my permissions issue as well. If any of you are wondering my OS is installed on my primary SSD (C:\) which is one of the drives I'm trying to alter. The other drives seemed to work fairly OK with a few minor issues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/273283-error-5-access-denied-while-using-admin-account.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I recently had some problems with my desktop reconfiguring each time I logged in and rebuilding Access after problems account admin deleting all my files Nothing I found on online and fix this problem So this is the approach I took Created a temporary administrator account quot mine quot Deleted my account quot Robert quot Rebooted the machine to be doubly sure that all changes had taken effect Recreated my account quot Robert quot configured as administrator Deleted temporary account quot mine quot The This seemed to work I had a stable desktop Access problems after rebuilding admin account and I was able to reload all my data files from a backup Now we come to the situation that I Access problems after rebuilding admin account am hoping someone can help me with A lot of three files and folders on the system will not give me Access problems after rebuilding admin account an immediate access any longer as I have to use UAC This as affected my backup program SyncBackFree and all so free download manager There are now two user accounts that appear to be mirrored quot Robert quot amp quot Robert machinename quot the latter I have never seen before until now and there are no other users on the machine except for myself Can someone tell me how I can get it back to be able to the way it should do with out having to do a reinstall Thanks Robert

A:Access problems after rebuilding admin account

Try Take Ownership Shortcut.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306597-access-problems-after-rebuilding-admin-account.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi Guys,

I bought this Laptop pre-installed with windows 8 couple of months ago. I created a new user with admin rights and was working fine. Then, I created new user (an invalid microsoft account) and assigned it admin rights. This account is like a junk account [email protected] and assigned admin rights. I never set any password for this. For some reason, I changed my original admin account to normal user. Now, I cant login using the invalid microsoft account and lost my admin rights to my laptop. Also, I dont have recovery cd created.

What options do I have to get back admin status?

A:Lost access to Admin account - urgent help pls

Download Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD ? www.hiren.info , burn it to CD/USB, change BIOS to boot from it then use
Offline NT Password Changer 2011-05-11

Please report back if this solves your problem.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/21745-lost-access-admin-account-urgent-help-pls.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have two user accounts on Vista Home Pro.
One is a standard, limited user account (password protected) and the other is my admin account (obviously with admin privileges and password protected).

I am not sure when this started happening but I am unable to launch control panel under my admin account.
I get a pop-up of "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".
The title bar of this pop-up has "::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}"

What I can do is launch control panel from my standard/limited user account and, when prompted, enter the admin password.
Seems my Admin account has somehow become corrupted. If so how can I fix it?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Walter

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/123126-admin-account-cant-access-control-panel.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I cannot find the solution to this anywhere for months now. I've had to do a clean reinstall of my win xp HE. My old user account has dissapeared from user accounts. its still in win explorer is "documents and settings" but every time i try to access it, it says access is denied. Also tried doing so in dos, and with other various programs. I've managed to get the files from within the folder using "getdataback for ntfs".
Would appreciate it if you could help me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-a-user-account-in-admin-mode.328985/
Relevancy 67.08%

Unable to change User Account Control settings in Windows 7

I am unable to access my User Account Setting in Windows 7 when I click on it nothing comes up , even though I'm logged in as an administrator. When I click on "Change User Account Control Settings", absolutely nothing happens.

I am not able to access cmd as a admin.I have only one account and that is my admin account.When I click on admin cmd it open but when I right click and try to access it as a administrator nothing comes up.

I am also not able to install any new software on to my computer it show a Pop-up window user account control do you really want to allow this file to make changed on your computer I say yes and nothing happens

Can anyone please help me with this Thanks!

A:I am not able to access User Account Control on win 7 Pro using admin.

Sounds like you have lost administrator rights.
Are you sure your password is correct?

Check and see if you can go to a restore point before this happened.
It might not let you do this either.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/321132-i-am-not-able-access-user-account-control-win-7-pro-using-admin.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I had only one user that was having Administrator Rights without password. I made one more user and gave him Administrator rights with password. Now I made my earlier Administrator account as a Local Account. But this local account is able to view Administrator account documents and desktop. How to stop Local account having access to Administrator documents.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/41164-how-stop-local-account-having-access-administrator-documents.html
Relevancy 66.22%

It's a long story, but is there a way on Windows 7 to lock system files and/or system drivers WITHOUT having to remove administrative privileges from user accounts? I'm needing to lock access to specific system files and drivers while still maintaining the Admin status of a different user account.
Thanks for any help with this...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lock-down-access-to-a-sytem-file-from-another-admin-account.1110211/
Relevancy 66.22%

This is the problem I've been dealing with for quite a while. When I try to find a program that resets the password (I used the Password Reset Disk from another computer, didn't work.) I always get a message that I need the administrator password.

So... Help?

Relevancy 66.22%

I have Windows 7 Home x32 on a laptop and I want to make a admin account and hide it from the user screen, I not only want to hide it but I want to be able to "load it" from the log on screen if I want (no CMD commands on the user accounts to use it) is this possible with 7?

Before on XP I had a hidden admin account and all I had to do was CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it would bring up my account, with windows 7 it doesn't seem to work this way. Now to be 100% clear, I don't want the default admin account (for trouble shooting) all I want is a second admin account that if needed can access user accounts on my laptop from the log-on screen by hitting some combination of keys.

Thank you.

A:Windows 7 Home Admin Account Hidden Access

I found this on another site. I also checked three other Internet references and they pointed to the following. It seems this may help you. However someone with more experience may have some other suggestions. Please read the following:

In order to hide a user account (which also means create a hidden user account) in Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, just go to Control Panel User module and create an additional user as usually do (Control Panel -> User Accounts and -> User Accounts in Windows 7 and Windows Vista). If you already have an existing user that wants to be made hidden, invisible or disappeared from Welcome Screen, then go straight to guide below.Run (RegEdit.exe).
Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Note: If SpecialAccounts and UserList is not found, create new sub-key and name them accordingly.
Select UserList, and in the right pane, right click on any blank space, and point to New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name the new DWORD registry as the exact same name that match the name of the user account to be hidden. For example, if the user ID of the user account is John, the name the registry value as John.
Double click on DWORD , and set the value data to 0 in oder to hide the account from Welcome Screen. Tip: To display the user account on Welcome Screen again so that it’s visible again, delete the registry entry, or set the value data to 1.
Exit Registry Editor.
Log off or restart computer to make the change effective.
Tip: In order to login into Windows using an user account that has made hidden and invisible, just press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up Windows Logon dialog, and then type in the user name and password manually.

Hope this is what you were asking about.

Still Learning, Learning Still.

Curtis

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/277815-windows-7-home-admin-account-hidden-access.html
Relevancy 66.22%

So my 10 year old nephew managed to enable some sort of password for logging into his account on his Vista premium 32 bit HP.

He's cooperative in letting his parents check his usage, they'd just assume his account not be password protected, and turned his comp over to me to correct this.

My questions are:

A. How do I know if this account he's is in is the administrator account.

B. If so, how do I get him out of it and give him a regular user account.

C. Is it possible to make this regular user account child protected irt adult content in a way his parents can control, but still allowing him a degree of admin privs. for enabling/downloading software since he is the primary user?

I've tried looking this up on my own, but the whole admin. account thing can be a bit confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Questions about Admin. account, access for children, parents, etc.

Also, while you're in the account you can convert it to a standard user account.
Use Parental Controls to modify his permissions.

FYI - we will not assist with defeating passwords, so any questions about that will not be answered here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/204466/questions-about-admin-account-access-for-children-parents-etc/
Relevancy 66.22%

I am only user on this computer and heard about the hidden Admin account for Windows 8. I logged into it, but all stuff from normal account such as documents and program shortcuts were missing. Is there any way I can transfer the Admin full access rights to my primary user account? Please help and thanks

A:Hidden Admin Account Access Transfer to User...

Hello Skeet, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Just to note, that while signed in to the built-in elevated "Administrator" account, Store apps will not work.

Your other files are not missing, but just in the other account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" folder instead. Since the built-in Administrator is a separate account, it will have it's own "C:\Uses\Administrator" folder and settings.

If you like you could just include the other account's folders into the Administrator's libraries.
Library - Add a Folder to in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/21934-hidden-admin-account-access-transfer-user.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello I have encountered a rather odd problem that didn't turn up in forum search System Win Home Premium -bit fresh install updates with AVG Free and Google Chrome as only other installs I have had users both with admin rights One was my 'main' user that I was using just to learn Win and surf a l'il The other was completely new Created logged into back off then not touched again For the first few days had no problems and was really liking Win However today after logging off main user I had just run a full clean scan with AVG btw and switching to the fresh one IMMEDIATELY after entering my log-in password I received a UAC prompt telling me that denied Account(admin access log-in upon IMMEDIATELY all rights) this user does not have access to this folder The background was replaced with a black screen the taskbar icons were replaced with the standard quot new file quot icon and did not function no surprise there I opened Windows Explorer using quot Start gt Computer quot Account(admin rights) denied all access IMMEDIATELY upon log-in and again was immediately told I had no access Gave myself permission and attempted to investigate I could not view open any folder without giving myself permission first Having no success determining the problem I decided to simply log off and delete this account Performed a full delete folders and all Then I created a new account with admin rights Logged into it without incident Logged back onto main user and opened Windows Explorer The user folder from the original nd account remained and I was denied when trying to delete Probing into it I found a Windows Media Player database file under User AppData Local Microsoft Media Player I was told this file was in use by another program and I could not delete it I did not have any programs other than Explorer running on any user at the time I remembered that I had tried to open a stock music file in Explorer under the main account earlier WMP had opened and started its quot First Use quot spiel I had chosen custom settings then I believe that I had closed WMP after the file extension association dialog opened without confirming the associations as I did not want to use WMP for anything At this point I had continued doing other things without problem Eventually when I switched users this whole mess started Remembering the WMP stuff I again opened a stock music file still on main account WMP ran its setup routine again and I allowed it to associate and run I closed WMP browsed to the old user folder in Explorer and deleted it without problem I have tried unsuccessfully to replicate this event by creating new test users and shortcutting the WMP quot First Use quot setup again on each of them So I cannot be certain that this is what caused my problem nor that it will not happen again Any ideas Deeply Appreciative Win BlankUser

A:Account(admin rights) denied all access IMMEDIATELY upon log-in

Does Safe Mode function normally?
That is to say if you boot in safe mode are you able to perform basic functions and use the system to some extent?

If this is not a registry or av/security related problem the easiest fix would likely be SFC
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Some more specific detail of the nature of the problem and less of what you have done may be of assistance too.
If this is a problem with admin priveldges you are honestly probably better off doing a repair install
Repair Install
Than digging around trying to find the one setting responsible for the problem.
Component services and other various admin tools can get down right annoying to work with and can cause further problems if the least bit thing is set wrong.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192398-account-admin-rights-denied-all-access-immediately-upon-log.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Under Win I set up an additional user account named quot admin quot which is member of the user group quot Administrators quot The predefined account quot Administrator quot is disabled I did this on all four PC's in my home network All PC's are using Windows pro except one which is already upgraded to Windows pro All PC's are members of a work group On one PC I set up some shares which can be accessed by all users for reading very easy because all accounts exist on each PC and the passwords for the accounts are the same on each PC What shares Admin Access account not Administrator does to using instead work now happens or Access to shares using account Admin instead Administrator does not work better to say not happens is the following A normal user on a PC can access the shares on the Win PC providing the shares without any problems The user quot admin quot can not access The error message tells me that the account is not enabled This happens on the Windows PC and on one Windows PC It works without Access to shares using account Admin instead Administrator does not work any problems from the Access to shares using account Admin instead Administrator does not work third PC When I enabled the account quot Administrator quot on the Win PC providing the shares it works It seems that Windows uses the wrong credentials to connect to the share It is confusing that it occurs only on two of three PC's If someone could help I would be grateful

A:Access to shares using account Admin instead Administrator does not work

Hi Biker, 
Thank you for your question. 
For troubleshooting, we could do the following steps: 

Configure the share file on other PC, then use this account which has admin permission to check if the issue persistDelete this account profile on two PCs which share didn?t work, then rebuild the Windows profile to check if the issue persistTurn off Windows firewall on two PCs to check if the issue persist 
If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know. 
Best Regard, 
Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact [email protected]

Jim Xu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4364011b-a200-4a31-aa94-e916c7eeb23a/access-to-shares-using-account-admin-instead-administrator-does-not-work?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 66.22%

I'm going to let a technician have my Windows 7 64bit PC in order to do clone the HDD to a SSD and then replace the HDD with the SSD. I think the techn wants an admin level account. I am concerned that (s)he not gain access to confidential files etc that would be available to me were I logged in. Is there a way to let the tech have admin access (s)he wants w/o having to be concerned about the privacy of the info on it? Can you create an admin level account which deprives its user from gaining access to files on a certain directory under c:\users

A:granting another user access to an account with 'admin' privileges

Acerman why don't you clone the drive yourself it is really not that hard with Macrium Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

See my pic it shows the process but remember the drive you clone to has to be as large or larger than the drive you are cloning from.

There is a way of dragging and dropping the partitions into a smaller drive but it is not reliable enough for me.

The alternative is to image your drive slip a new one in - install the system using this
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 and then use the image to get back your data. As you seem to be concerned that you have data that you do not want to be copied or whatever. That is so easy if you know how and I can and I am not a techie so the shop bloke would be more than capable of doing that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/346184-granting-another-user-access-account-admin-privileges.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have several PCs that only have one user account (Admin). The user of the PC has used this Admin account for some time and over time accumulated docs, pics, browser settings, desktop configurations, etc...

I want to add a standard user account and have everything transfer to the user account from the Admin account they were using such as docs, pics, browser settings, desktop configuration, etc...

Basically what I'm wanting to do is have the user sign in with the standard account and see and access their stuff as normal as if nothing changed other than they now cannot utilize the admin account (no downloading, altering, installing software, etc...
Not sure what to call this type of action so searching for the procedure has been difficult. Not sure if the action necessary is universal between Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 which are the 3 OS I have between the 3 PCs. Any guidance in achieving this task would be great.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/401546-sign-standard-account-see-access-admin-stuff.html
Relevancy 65.36%

In my corporate pc I have the admin password and the admin account, but i have to work with my user id, I have changed it to the administrators group, but i can't see the full control panel.
Help please!

A:Admin group account can't access full control panel

Open Control panel then Rest your curser on the right facing black arrow head next to the words Control Panel in address bar and you will see a choice of views.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268470-admin-group-account-cant-access-full-control-panel.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have been having several problems, but I believe they all have one root cause: Windows will not grant me full permissions on my main HDD (C). Problems I notice:

1) See attachment
2) Steam makes me use my username/password every time even if I check 'Log Me In Automatically'
3) Desktop Background always resets to default blue+windows logo whenever I boot my system.
4) Some programs have issues writing to the C drive, in particular C:/Program Files and C:/Program Files (x86)

I apologize in advance if I do not provide ample information. If more is needed to correctly diagnose this issue, I will be actively checking this thread today and tomorrow.

A:Primary drive got giving full access to my account, which is set admin

The writes to folders under Program Files and variants will be blocked. If you have scripts and other utilities that use the location of the exe as the place to write .ini or other data files, as many of mine do, you can get around it by "installing" them in a folder directly under C:. I put all my scripts and small utilities in C:\Utils but you can create any folder name.

The other items such as wallpaper or splash screens, perhaps someone into customization has run into and may have suggestions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/307258-primary-drive-got-giving-full-access-my-account-set-admin.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I m using Windows XP Professional I am not able to log back into my Administrator account I m stuck in a limited user account and though my Administrator account is set w o a password I still even Admin account problem?) Safe in (TweakUI Mode access Can't the can t login even through my computer s Safe Mode which is was the Dell service person suggested This problem occurred yesterday while I was trying to eliminate the login screen from my computer s startup Initially I used a tip from Annoyances org by entering quot control userpasswords quot in the Run menu and turning off the quot Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer quot option It didn t work so I tried the second solution that Annoyances Can't access Admin account even in Safe Mode (TweakUI the problem?) org listed I installed TweakUI opened it expanded the quot Logon quot branch clicked quot Autologon quot and then turned on the quot Log on automatically Can't access Admin account even in Safe Mode (TweakUI the problem?) at the system startup quot option At some point in this process I also created a new user account but realized later that it was only a limited account This may or may not have to do with the problem I also may have deleted another account from the computer that had Admin capabilities But as of now I am stuck in this limited non-Admin account because it s the only account that has a password When I try to log into my Administrator account w o a password as I ve always done I get this error quot The system could not log you on Make sure your User name and domain are correct then type your password again Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case quot which is the same error I get when I try the same thing in Safe Mode One noticeable thing that has changed is that the login screen shows two fields for logging in User name and Password Before I started this process it showed icons for each account which I clicked to access the accounts I believe that it was a combination of the things above that set my computer to not accept my Administrator account w o a password Perhaps the quot control userpasswords quot command or perhaps the TweakUI setting I have tried uninstalling TweakUI and seem to have succeeded but it hasn t helped Unfortunately now that I am kicked out of my Administrator account or any account w Administrator capabilities I no longer have access to the quot control userpasswords quot prompt and cannot reinstall TweakUI I also have no access to the System Restore Ugh Thanks a million for reading and for any suggestions nbsp

A:Can't access Admin account even in Safe Mode (TweakUI the problem?)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-admin-account-even-in-safe-mode-tweakui-the-problem.668056/
Relevancy 65.36%

Please help! A little info to get this issue resolved: using an administrator account, Windows 7, 64Bit. Approx. 6 laptops connected together with a RAID and printer that needs sharing capabilites, no internet connectivity allowed. When I select the printer
properties or any part of this printer I get an "Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000005). Access denied". I have tried to become the owner and again I get an error message. I am not able to remove device ether. Please let me know if there is any
other information that I need to add to get some help with this issue. i cant find much help online.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/274ed1b4-a704-4f53-97ba-2773f02b6c7a/error-0x00000005-access-is-denied-for-printer-using-admin-account?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a problem with my Administrator Accounts in that I cannot access the below although I CAN access them from a Standard User Account???

1 When I try to start Windows Update (START / ALL PROGRAMS / WINDOWS UPDATE)
I get the following: Application not found

2 When I wish to access ANYTHING from the Control Panel (START / CONTROL PANEL / anything in Control Panel) or try to access START / DEVICES AND PRINTERS I get the following: a long string of numbers

3 When I try to get to Default Programs (START / DEFAULT PROGRAMS) I get the following: another long string of numbers.

Did try to attach screen shots but didn't work.

I can however access everything from a STANDARD USER account????

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate N

I would appreciate any assistance as the only assistance on the web is of no use as I have tried the limited suggestions without success and am totally at a loss now!

Thanks

A:Admin Account Cannot Access Contol Panel or Windows Update

Try this: Set Program Access and Computer Defaults - Enable or Disable

Have you attempted a AV scan?

Hope this helps,

Harry

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/255025-admin-account-cannot-access-contol-panel-windows-update.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I just user when admin non made Lost Admin account account made a non admin user account on my Dell Inspiron windows xp laptop When I went online to sign in under my account admin it is no longer there My name Penne is there and Lost Admin user account when made non admin account so is my daughters I click on my name put my password in and it takes me to the desktop for my daughter and ALL my stuff is gone PLEASE HELP I have googled this and the only thing Lost Admin user account when made non admin account I am seeing is that you need to sign in under an Admin user account to fix this and get my stuff back THere is Lost Admin user account when made non admin account NO admin user account so how can I get it all back I did the F and went to restore to previous point and that didnt work I know there is a way to go to the restore calendar and find a day that her user account was not on there like last week so this might work but I dont know how to find this PLEASE help as all of my EVERYTHING is on my user account and I am lost without it all have a retreat this weekend and I need all of my sheet music and my songs Thanks so much PENNE nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

I'm creating a local group policy to lock down a Win7 Pro Workstation for use in the Staff room.
It's the first time I've used it, previously I've worked a bit with AD. but I've been following on line tutorials and using google and I'm nearly there with it.
But I'm stuck on one thing. My approach has been to remove access to pretty much everything apart from IE, Firefox and Skype icons on the task bar.
I've got the start menu empty apart from the shutdown button, which is what I want but at the top of the start menu is the users icon/picture thing and if i click on it it takes me to "user accounts". I can't for the life of me work out how to get rid of the picture or just stop this happening.

Can anyone help please?

A:How to use Local Group policy to prevent access to User Account settin

Have you tried anything from this thread (especially second page)?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/212663-how-use-local-group-policy-prevent-access-user-account-settin.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi, I need help:

1. I log into a normal user account.

2. I double click to access a restricted folder.
(Restricted folder means: In administrator account, I made this folder restricted to other users. Right
Click/Properties/Security tab)

3. A message came up:
You don't currently have permission to
access this folder.
Click Continue to permanently get access
to this folder.

4. After I click Continue a message came up:
You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use
the Security tab.
But I want Windows to ask my admin password to access that folder.

I have done this job before, and it worked fine but I forgot how did I do...
Thanks for helping me.