Windows Support Forum

Windows is not reading Western Digital external hard disk

Q: Windows is not reading Western Digital external hard disk

I have a western digital 1 tb hard disk. which was working fine few hours ago.
but now when I am connecting it it is not showing in my computer.
I am using a windows 7 X64 machine.
I have tried every thing.
when I uninstall the driver from device manager and connect it again, windows tries to
install the driver but fails every time.

I have lot of important data on the drive
Plzzzz Helppp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows is not reading Western Digital external hard disk

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 85.56%

I am using WD 1TB external Harddisk(Windows 7 home premium 64 bit), but few days ago, when i want to transfer file to my harddisk, it's fail to do so. After this , I just close my folder and off my laptop, but starting that time, it start show I/O error when i connect hard disk to laptop, even laptop can detect the hard disk also, it also show nothing and cant open the hard disk folder, can somebody please help me to solve this problem?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/380930-i-o-error-western-digital-1tb-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 84.01%

Western Digital's has crippled the 1TB My Book World Edition external hard drive. This is by design.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/

A:Western Digital cripples 1TB My Book external hard disk--by design.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-cripples-1tb-my-book-external-hard-disk-by-design.660530/
Relevancy 107.93%

Just the other day my wife and I are watching several movies on my external hard drive which has a plethora of movies we've gathered It's not even that old less than a year old here's what I've done I have three computers in our house -Windows bit Desktop custom built -Windows bit laptop Dell Vostro -Windows bit Toshiba Not a single one of these computers even so much as detect the hard drive at all now I tried a different usb cable as well and i got nothing I tried different wall outlets it still blinks when I plug it in the USB Windows Digital External Drive Hard in 7 Western Unrecognized computer but the computer doesn't remotely see it Here's exactly what happened leading up to this so no one is confused I first noticed a problem when I tried to download a new movie using utorrent It started the file and then failed saying something was wrong with like cyncro or something Western Digital External USB Hard Drive Unrecognized in Windows 7 Whatever I looked up the error code Appears others have had this issue as well so I did what they said quot chkdsk r quot on my hard drive J It got to step five but froze there got nothing for over hours it sat there and not a thing at all So I cancelled it closed it out and restarted the computer with the device plugged in it reboots and now absolutely nothing It doesn't even see that a drive exists like I said I've changed out the cables moved power outlets tried different computers and different ports and done these steps on each of them Checked device manager doesn't even show it on any of the computers Checked printers and devices not even a hint Western Digital External USB Hard Drive Unrecognized in Windows 7 Checked hidden devices on device manager not even there I just recently had another issue I was trying to get my ALFA AWSU NHR wifi modem to work but it wouldn't work The difference was I could see the device the driver just didn't work I fixed it by finding the driver which was ridiculously hard to do until I start looking outside of the Alfa network of drivers and looked towards realtech I downloaded a torrent of driver packs for windows and it was in there problem solved now it works perfectly The external hard drive can't fix it until I can somehow get the computer to just SEE it Any ideas I have no freaking clue what happened to it or what chkdsk r did to it but I would love to get my movies back i have no copies of these and it almost takes up an enter TB hard drive so it's a butt-ton of movies Western Digital External USB Hard Drive Unrecognized in Windows 7 and JUST movies

A:Western Digital External USB Hard Drive Unrecognized in Windows 7

Look Shawn I ma no expert but have you tried DISKPART to see if it is in there - I sometimes have this problem and pretty well all the time it will show up in that.

Nb ""
"****" is just to show the letters to be typed not the quotation marks

Start > type "cmd" in search > right click the cmd at the top of the Start menu > left click "run as administrator" > let it work to a balck and white DOS screen > type in "diskpart" > Enter > DISKPART will come up > type "list disk" > Enter it will show all the drives (disks) on or in the machine.

If you know how to snip or capture the screen post back the screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/266025-western-digital-external-usb-hard-drive-unrecognized-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 102.77%

I have a laptop evo n1020v and on the side I have an external WD disk (XMS2500TE - model).

The problem is that when I connect it to the laptop it recognizes new hardware but it is unable to install it. Furthe rmore when I go into device manager - the device manager keeps flashing as if i is constantly rescaning for new hardware. As soon as I unplug it everything is back to the norm. When I try a USB thumb drive it works fine.

Any help is appreciated..

Thanks

A:Western Digital External Disk not recognized?

I connected it to my other laptop nc6010 and it works fine...

its just this laptop and my other custom desktop won't recognize it...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-disk-not-recognized.102439/
Relevancy 101.48%

1. Disk management showing disk 1 -unknown- -not initialized-

2. When i tried to initialized it show -incorrect function-

3. I tried the recovery software but all of them cant detect my external HDD

4. The Data Lifeguard Diagnostic from western digital managed to detect my external and showing there is bad sector but when i tried to repair, it give me this message -unable to repair bad sector-

Please help!!! is there any chance i can fix this?

A:Please help,disk 1 unknown not initialized (western digital external)

I guess there is mechanical problem with the hard drive. you can try checking and repairing bad sectors (http://www.articlesbase.com/hardware...s-6907958.html), or just send it to some drive repair center.
but, if there is important files on the drive, you'll have to recover data before repairing it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/325284-please-help-disk-1-unknown-not-initialized-western-digital-external.html
Relevancy 100.62%

A friend has bought a Western external hard drive for from Tesco and there were no instructions on how to back up files to it apart from Chinese Eventually I opened the My Documents window and opened the External drive window F drive and selected the whole of My Documents including My Music and My Pictures and dragged and dropped and it copied all of the selected files to the external drive I safely removed it and insterted again and checked hard Digital External Western drive the files were copied to the drive and managed to drag one back Western Digital External hard drive to desktop and it copied it back ok but I wanted to transfer some of the files to another computer Western Digital External hard drive and it would not recognise the USB in the second computer I feel worried that if the need to re-establish these files onto a new computer if the backup was needed that it would not work Any ideas When I first inserted the USB for the external hard drive autoplay did not come up and I had no idea what to do but treated it the same as a flash drive and it seemed to work But it should surely open on another computer as that would be the point of the backup nbsp

Relevancy 100.62%

I am planning on buying a Sata, external Hard Drive. I plan to use it now with Vista Home Premium 64, with my new OS 7, when I receive the DVD, in Oct., and finally just with 7. Does anyone have any experience with this hard drive and its compatiblity with Windows 7. Thanks

A:Western Digital External Hard Drive

Quote: Originally Posted by richc46

I am planning on buying a Sata, external Hard Drive. I plan to use it now with Vista Home Premium 64, with my new OS 7, when I receive the DVD, in Oct., and finally just with 7. Does anyone have any experience with this hard drive and its compatiblity with Windows 7. Thanks

WD had a bad period for a couple of years in the race with Maxtor, but their products have improved to the level they once had, since last year.

If you connect the sata drive with USB2, it will be horribly slow.

If your computer has an e-sata connection, buy an e-sata external disk and the performance will be equal to internal drive.

There are also e-sata adapter boards to put into your computer, allowing you to connect the e-sata drive.

Just something to think about.

greetz.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/18878-western-digital-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I have tried to install a Western Digital My Book 2 750GB external hard drive on my friends Toshiba Windows Vista laptop. It does not show as being on the laptop other than when you go to safety remove hardware. I have successfully installed it on my Toshiba Windows Vista laptop without any problems. I have been to the WD website and downloaded software which had to go straight on to the hard drive. Obviously I could not do this on my friends laptop but could on mine, with success. However this has not helped for my friend. Can anyone help please. Johanne

A:Western Digital External Hard Drive

If you go to the device manager, does the external show and have a drive letter assigned?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-hard-drive.688909/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello I've had a Hard External Western Digital Not Will Drive Off Switch WD tb external hard drive for several years now Recently I've been unable to turn Western Digital External Hard Drive Will Not Switch Off the power off on it using the on off switch in the back I will hold the power switch like I normally would turning it off Instead of the power going off it just stays on and the blue light in front starts flashing I mainly would like for Western Digital External Hard Drive Will Not Switch Off the drive to be shut off at night before I put my pc into sleep mode Mainly to conserve energy and to prevent the hard drive from over heating and or crashing A few hours ago I decided to just unplug the external's power chord and shut it off before sleep mode When I plugged it back in and took my pc out of sleep mode a window came up and said Windows needed to restart After the restart Windows started running a tad bit shifty Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Thanks JDJD

A:Western Digital External Hard Drive Will Not Switch Off

I would suspect its just a switch problem you cant just turn it off you must dismount it first or it can be corrupted

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-7-a/126632-western-digital-external-hard-drive-will-not-switch-off.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello everyone this is my first time posting here so please bear with me Lately I seem to be having problems with my WD TB external hard drive I noticed the problem about - weeks ago when I Digital Problems external hard Western with drive went to play some music from Windows Media Player Windows Media Player took a very long time to open and when I went to play some music files it would freeze up and I would have to end the Windows Media Problems with Western Digital external hard drive Player process through the Task Manager After that I tried going directly into my external hard drive to play the music but Windows Media Player would not play any file I chose I noticed as I was opening the external hard drive through Windows Explorer it took a very long Problems with Western Digital external hard drive time for all the files to load and there is only GB worth of data on the external hard drive I then started looking around online and found that it may be some type of security issue or that I should run CHKDSK I tried to change the security settings so I could gain access for my files but it kept coming up as Access Denied Then I decided to run CHKDSK which was somewhat of a mistake problem because it took about or days to finish I checked both boxes in CHKDSK After CHKDSK finished it said that some problems were found and fixed but as of now I am still having problems trying to access my files Regardless of what CHKDSK accomplished I still think Problems with Western Digital external hard drive that there is a security issue and I cannot figure out how to fix it The only way that I can get everything to work is to go file by file and add a permission of quot Full Control quot for the group quot Everyone quot If I try and add this permission to a folder it tells me that Access is Denied Here is an example of one of the many folders and what happens when I try to open it I double click on this folder to open it Then this message pops up I click Continue and this message pops up I then go into the security tab I click Continue and this pops up After taking ownwership on the quot Administrators Josh-PC Administrators quot I go back into the security tab and find that the quot System quot is the only one with permission to access these files When I try to add the group quot Everyone quot and set the permissions to quot Full Control quot I get this message When I click quot Continue quot it moves on to the next file and says the same thing as the picture above The only way for me to gain access to all the files is to go through each one by one and add the group quot Everyone quot to each file So my question is how do I gain access to all of my files again I don't want to sit here going through each file one by one I have even tried to copy all of my files to my internal hard drive but that does not even work I have also tried plugging in the external hard drive to my HP laptop which runs Windows bit as well but the same security stuff keeps popping up I hope I have been clear with my explanation and if there is anything I have missed please let me know If you need anymore information please let me know that as well My system specs should be in my profile Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated Thank you very much

A:Problems with Western Digital external hard drive

Check to see whether Permissions Time Machine can help resolve your problem.

Permissions Time Machine Free Download

AMYD Projects - Official Blog: Permissions Time Machine v1.4.2

Do create a System Restore point before using this software so that you can revert back if need be. ( In fact you should always do that before trying any new software you haven't used before..)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/344930-problems-western-digital-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello thanks for taking the time to read this I enjoy making short films as a hobby and I run a couple YouTube channels that I upload to frequently I went to open up one of my project files in Sony Vegas Hard Drive Digital External 1TB Western Failing Movie Studio but for some reason it took ages to open up I had to sit there for a minute or so just for the program to begin and once it opened it took maybe two more minutes to open the project file The program was running really slowly and it was sluggish to try Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive Failing and edit anything At first I assumed it was a problem with my computer It had been working just fine the day before so I rebooted the computer and tried again only to confront the same Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive Failing issue once more I have a TB HDD in my computer and a TB Western Digital External HDD that I use to store most everything that had to do with my films I always have the External HDD plugged into my computer Anyway the reason I think it's the External Hard Drive failing is because I noticed going into Windows Explorer that any time I would open a folder on the actual computer's HDD it would open just fine but opening a folder on the External Drive would have me wait for about - seconds After this I ejected and unplugged the External Drive and tried to open a Project File in Vegas that only used things stored on my computer and it loaded just as quick as always So I would be lead to believe that the reason it was running so slow is because it was loading a Project File that used components stored on the External Drive I tried to move all of my film archives over to my computer from the hard drive but moving files is impossible I let it run for an entire night and it had barely moved over of the GB archives I've only owned the External HDD for about a year and a half and Western Digital's website says the product comes with a -year warranty I need help with getting my files off of this drive as they are very important to me and also how I could go about getting a refund repair on my purchase Thanks Hicoga

A:Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive Failing

Have you tried plugging the external into some other port on the PC?

You need to go to WD web site and download their disk tool for that particular drive. It will have a couple of tests. Try the simple quick one first.

And look up the return procedures for the drive at the WD web site if it fails the drive tests.

You might want to make an image of the drive with a tool like Macrium to preserve whatever is now on it in the current state.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/351946-western-digital-1tb-external-hard-drive-failing.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Is it not a good idea to leave it on with my computer all the time? I've heard mixed comments on this. My computer is on about 17 hours a day, and it gets shut off at night most of the time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Relevancy 99.33%

My computer shows all the files on my External hard drive, but I cannot access them. I get an error message that says the files are not found. I tried a data recovery, but the program cannot access the hard drive. Whats next?

A:Cannot access external hard drive ( Western Digital)

I would run CHKDSK /R driveletter:

If that doesn't work, I would remove the disk drive from the enclosure, install it internally to a desktop computer and try CHKDSK /R driveletter: again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-external-hard-drive-western-digital.673053/
Relevancy 99.33%

pl help extra local disk drive just 1tb over all system my os windows 8.1 Lenovo b490 pl help me

A:1TB Western Digital External hard drive crashed

You need to post more information about what exactly happened or what is happening now. Just saying "external hard drive crashed" is not informative enough.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/1tb-western-digital-external-hard-drive-crashed/1813.html
Relevancy 99.33%

operating system: win XP

external hard drive: western digital WD 5000AAK

my brother just took my external hard drive to his friend to copy some series from him (vista computer!!!) and when he connected the hard drive to our PC again and opened the "series" folder, the hard drive crashed, closing everything including explorer.exe. after some seconds, explorer shows up again. we never had this problem before, i suppose the problem exists because of the different operating systems

i would appreciate your help!!!
thank you!!

A:western digital external hard drive keeps crashing

can anyone help me???

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/western-digital-external-hard-drive-keeps-crashing-280197.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Good afternoon I am sure this has been mentioned on here many times but every time I search for my problem I always get the same results Third party this format this backup your data that Here is what is going on I have a TB external hard drive that is more than full backing up my data via third party software is not an option because to hard external Digital Western drive 2TB Raw NTFS I don t have room to store the data anywhere The copious amount of data on the drive is also why I can not just simply format the drive to change the file system I have also tried a couple of methods involving check disk commands and using disk management neither of these methods have worked out in my favor This problem has really shaken my confidence with computers and troubleshooting up until this point I thought I was pretty well educated on fixing stuff like this but I really can not figure this one out 2TB Western Digital external hard drive Raw to NTFS So here s the summary large hard drive no formatting no backing up the data RAW to NTFS Thank you nbsp

A:2TB Western Digital external hard drive Raw to NTFS

I'm still confused. What is it you want to do?

Try Recuva, if you think your files have been deleted!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2tb-western-digital-external-hard-drive-raw-to-ntfs.195946/
Relevancy 99.33%

A friend Western Drive Hard Possible Digital USB Fried External of mine thinks he has fried his GB Western Digital Possible Fried Western Digital External USB Hard Drive External USB hard drive and wants to know if there s any way to retrieve the data and or fix it It is a WD Model WD B -RNN GB drive What he did was he accidentally plugged the V power adapter from his printer into the V hard drive He brought the drive to work today and I can even smell the fact that it is slightly burnt He says when he plugs it in now the two lights on the front one green and one red light up and his computer seems to recognize that the drive is there but he can t access it Is there anything that can be done to recover the data Or is the only possibility that of bringing it to a disaster recovery company which charges an arm and three legs just to attempt to fix recover it which often still isn t possible nbsp

Relevancy 99.33%

How do I reformat my 320GB WD Passport Elite? I really don't know anything about computers or hard-drives, and I can't figure out how to do this. Help would be much appreciated!

A:Reformatting a Western Digital external hard-drive help

Go to Computer Management-Disk Management locate the drive in question, right click on it and select format.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reformatting-a-western-digital-external-hard-drive-help.894508/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello everyone,
I have a WD 500GB external hard drive that is not being recognized by my computer anymore. It just stopped working. When I plug the USB cable in, Windows recognizes that the device is there, and says that it has installed the approapriate software for the device and it is ready to use. However, the drive does not appear in My Computer. Also, I have right-clicked on my computer and then the Manage option, and under Disk Management, I do not see the drive. I have all of my sports games and music on the drive. I just need some help on how to solve this problem.

A:Western Digital external hard drive problem

Firstly confirm the external drive and USB cable works in another computer
This will eliminate the Drive and cable, from your computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-hard-drive-problem.116656/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello everyone,

I have a WD 120GB external hard drive that is not being recognized by my computer anymore. It just stopped working.

When I plug the USB cable in, I get the following message - USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned.

Also, I have right-clicked on my computer and then the Manage option, and under Disk Management, I do not see the drive.

I have all of my sports games and music on the drive. I just need some help on how to recover the data on my drive if my drive is corrupt which it looks like it is now.

A:Western Digital external hard drive problem

USB device (particularly a drive) not recognized can be a USB power issue

Are you plugging into a laptop or desktop?
Does the drive have it's own power cord? Is it plugged in?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-hard-drive-problem.146644/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hey guys, I have a Western Digital External Harddrive that's 1TB. Its probably been a year and a half old now but recently whenever I would plug it in it would take really long to load. Now currently, whenever its plugged in, instead of showing up as My Passport (G like it always did, its reading as Local Disk (G and Windows Explorer freezes everytime I even attempt to click it. Help please, I have over 300 gigs of music on it that I need for parties as I am a DJ.

A:Western Digital 1TB external hard drive problem

Have you tried accessing this drive on another computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-1tb-external-hard-drive-problem.178996/
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi all as the user name sugests I T is all a bit tech for me at the moment by you got to start somewhere right So i've been asked to set up brand new Dell laptops bought for my software engineers in the industy - i have been given a th Dell laptop same as the other which has had all the required software needed by our engineers for the machinery programing process installed on it - i've also been given a TB western Digital USB connected external hard drive for cloning the software and transfering it on to the other laptops so this afternoon i cloned the th laptop with all the software on it using system back up - creating a system image file on the external hard drive but when it came to transfering this image on to the other laptops i thought i'd beable to restore set up the C drive the new laptop from the file Digital drive external CLONING to = hard {{NOVICE}} Western path E the external hard drive path but it doesn't have the option E drive or USB input or external drive only system restore back up disk or network path i can't use the CLONING to Western Digital external hard drive = {{NOVICE}} network path as the company has access permission firewall CLONING to Western Digital external hard drive = {{NOVICE}} blockers that basically stop our engineers laptops from working on customers CLONING to Western Digital external hard drive = {{NOVICE}} sites when online which kind of stops any work from happening and is why the company I T deparment wont help me out in this situation any help or guidance greatly appreciated as i really have thrown myself in at the deep end

A:CLONING to Western Digital external hard drive = {{NOVICE}}

Sounds like the company I.T deparment, will not help due to software licensing issues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274112-cloning-western-digital-external-hard-drive-novice.html
Relevancy 98.47%

I have been using this WD hard drive TB for several months now without problems Western Format Digital Hard please External error, Drive help My main computer crashed with a little help from my fists now I am trying to rebuild an older computer it was partitioned i guess with both Linxus and DOS and the program files and all my original computer back up folders videos and pics are stored on my external harddrive When I plugged it into the DOS computer it does have windows XP but an error messgae popped up stating the e drive needed to be formatted I had never seen this error messgae and did not format the drive but it wouoldn t allow me to access the drive I tried again after re booting the computer and I wasn t sure what the formatting involved so I Western Digital External Hard Drive Format error, please help hit YES a WARNING message popped up telling me all my files would be erased if I formatted and I immediately hit NO and unpllugged my drive Now I can t see any files on the drive although it recognizes it on other computers it will not show the space capicity or free space and it says it in NTFS format Did me plugging this drive into a DOS computer change the settings somehow from FAT to NTFS and if so How do I save my files I did not format it so I don t believe the files have been erased or it should show the free space as TB right PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I will die if I lost all thiese files nbsp

A:Western Digital External Hard Drive Format error, please help

Hive info on the HDD is protected. Missing drive info? That's why your getting that error message to format it but you don't. What OS did you have prior?

See this link from MS for the fix using chkdsk /p
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156640

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-hard-drive-format-error-please-help.145999/
Relevancy 98.47%

I have Win Home Premium bit installed All drives work fine and there is no issue on the drives except for one major problem and I don't have a clue as to why I have been having BSOD in my FAT gig external hard drive If I go to delete a file or folder BSOD Digital Hard 500gig Western External Drive it blue screens instantly if I check the box that says 'delete immedialtely do not send to recycle bin' then it doesn't blue screen If I save word document in the external HD it blue screens on me It is gig there is around gig free and it is formatted to FAT for accessablity I have some small usb flash drives I occasionally plug in the computer they are FAT and they work fine This is my most crucial data hard drive and it has been used flawlessly with XP SP bit Vista Home Premium bit and Western Digital 500gig External Hard Drive BSOD Windows ultimate bit This is my first encounter with bit operating system Is there something I need to know about FAT external hard drives Is there not enough room for it to do anything Was it just Western Digital 500gig External Hard Drive BSOD a bad Win installation Once again I have never had an issue in any other bit operating system Could it be because it is FAT Most times I can access the files Western Digital 500gig External Hard Drive BSOD in the drive I can go deep into the subfolders on the drive but once I try to save anything or delete anything it instantly crashes and goes to the BSOD Anyone please help - the files are too important backup images business backups etc for this to happen I could revert back to bit but I have heard alot of good about the bit OS so I thought I would give it a try - just not like this If anyone has ever heard of this or has any ideas for me to try I am willing to try anything to get this resolved My device manager shows no issues and the USB devices and drives show no issues It was a clean bit install and the error message I get on the BSOD is System Service Exception Thank you

A:Western Digital 500gig External Hard Drive BSOD

Hey.

Backup the data on the drive and then see if there is a firmware update for it. Install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/40287-western-digital-500gig-external-hard-drive-bsod.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi My Western Digital external hard drive just stopped working There was no fall or energy issues as far as I know It was perfect until yesterday but today it keeps flashing a white light in front of it very quickly each or seconds Every blinking is accompanied by an intern spinning sound The power button also stopped working and pressing it does nothing and flashing not drive Digital external Western working hard My Mac Western Digital external hard drive not working and flashing Pro won t recognize the hard drive anymore and it doesn t show up on Finder or Disk Utility It looks like the device is frozen I tried changing the usb port changing the outlet and reseting the computer but nothing worked I couldn t check for problems via third part software Western Digital external hard drive not working and flashing or check for firmware or driver updates because I have no access to the device whatsoever as my Mac doesn t show it anywhere I can t remember the model of the hard drive unfortunately I bought it back in It Western Digital external hard drive not working and flashing looks like an older version of the quot My Book Studio quot but instead of just a little dot in the front of it it has an oval lightened shape the one that keeps blinking I am kind of desperate because a lot of my work stuff is there Please help Thanks folks Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon OS Gb Ram TB internal drive TB TB external drive nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-hard-drive-not-working-and-flashing.1167190/
Relevancy 98.47%

Can someone knowledgeable help pick? Seagate? to hard drive external or Digital Western Which me by telling me which of the following external hard drives would be the better choice in terms of value and reliability Western Digital TB My Book Essential year warranty WDBAAF HBK - Western Digital TB My Book Home Edition year warranty WD H CS - Seagate TB Free Agent year warranty ST FDB E - I don t really need the included security software or Which external hard drive to pick? Western Digital or Seagate? backup software since I will just save the files that I want to be saved If the choice was just between these which would it be I tried doing a google search and reading customer reviews on retailer sites but it is very confusing Some people will have good things to say and others will have bad things to say about each one A friend of mine told me to keep since he and a few other people he knows have owned and still own several Western Digital external drives with no problems Thanks for the help nbsp

Relevancy 98.47%

I can browse this forum for data recovery methods but before I jump into that I want to explain the events that led up to this terribleness I ve been running this external hard Western Digital formatting? - 500GB needs external drive hard drive on my XP 500GB Western Digital external hard drive - needs formatting? desktop for a little over a year and have had no problems I ve plugged it into numerous other XP computers several laptops running Vista and even a few Macs There have been no problems and I ve been able to take files on and off with ease on all these different computers Today though my friend just bought a Sony Vaio laptop with Vista and with my successful history I plugged it in without any doubts got the quot installing new devices quot thing then the statement saying that the device is ready to use But upon trying to browse the device we get a long loading process that s halted with a quot This device is not formatted Would you like to format it now quot I ve read other people s posts of their similar predicaments but it seems that it s more of a quot I just plugged this into a Mac and now I can t access it quot thing I know Sony has a tendency of ruining everything but I really have a feeling there s something else involved Something seriously needs to be done about such a ruin-everything process If I was a freaker-outer now would be the time Years of work gone to waste Ideas Evan nbsp

A:500GB Western Digital external hard drive - needs formatting?

So, are the other computers saying it is unformatted, too? Go through this thread, there are quite a few solutions listed. http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/731880-1tb-hdd-unformatted.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/500gb-western-digital-external-hard-drive-needs-formatting.734495/
Relevancy 98.47%

I unplugged the external hard drive while working on some networking setups, and then plugged it back in to my pc.

Now the pc doesn't recognize the F:\ drive where it was previously.
I searched for new hardware and it doesn't recognize the hard drive.

A:Solved: Western Digital External Hard drive - not recognized

As a quick test have you plugged the drive into another system?

Have you tried another usb port on your system?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-western-digital-external-hard-drive-not-recognized.666042/
Relevancy 97.61%

When I plug in my Western Digital it gives me the following error:

"IDE Channel 2 Slave Hard Disk.....
S.m.a.r.t Status Bad
Warning: Immediately Back Up"

It is a WD 5000YS, I guess.......

It will not allow my computer to boot when I plug it in. If I connect it alone or with my other HD my cpu will not boot. With it plugged in the initial Win 7 Load screens go by. But eventually it just locks on a solid black screen. I think sometimes with a cursor top left. Surly there is a way to boot my CPU with it hooked up so I can test it?

What can I try? Is there anything I need to tell you to help me?

A:HArd Disk Smart Status Bad - Western Digital

S.m.a.r.t logs hardware failures at hardware level. That disk is dead.

Can you try booting and then connecting it afterwards? If it is a SATA disk it will get recognized eventually, but might also freeze the PC.

I usually use external enclosures to do these things (file transfers from dying HDDs), as the enclosure's interface board does shield the PC from the bunch of errors that would freeze or lock it up if connected directly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/296160-hard-disk-smart-status-bad-western-digital.html
Relevancy 97.61%

I have a Western Digital external hard drive model: WD3200B007-RGB. Recently after a Windows update and reboot the computer would no longer recognize the hard drive. A reboot tried to reinstall the hard drive but could not find a valid driver and searching support on the WD website found that WD no longer supports Legacy hard drives. I have tried two other computers with no success (assuming that, of course, those have also received the most recent Window update). I am running on Vista on one computer and XP Pro on the other two. I absolutely have to have access to that drive - does anyone know where to get a new driver? This is a firewire drive.

Relevancy 96.32%

ok my hard drive goes through alot redundancy error (1tb) a digital western hard on cyclic external check drive i bring it to work and friends house but recently i pretty much filled it cyclic redundancy check error on a western digital external hard drive (1tb) up to cyclic redundancy check error on a western digital external hard drive (1tb) about gigs from full capacity then cyclic redundancy check error on a western digital external hard drive (1tb) when i was in a friends house and i tried to transfer some tv programs to catch up on but the speed was unbelievably slow i put it down to the hard drive being so close to full so i said fine then i brought it home and plugged it into my ps so i could watch some movies and i watched one movie no problem and then about half way through the second the ps froze but didnt crash just came out of the movie i was watching and now the read speeds are unbelievably slow and the ps or computer freezes while trying to read just the folder list in explorer and sometimes the crc error comes up and what i have seen on the internet that is normally to do with cds dvds not external hard drives anyways i bought a new tb hard drive and tried to copy some files over and it just seems to stall and not copy the files i had intended copying the files then reformatting the hard drive but it seems to be something more serious than i thought i dont know what it could be so i am looking for a different prospective can anybody help me Thank you in advance for any help that you ay give nbsp

A:cyclic redundancy check error on a western digital external hard drive (1tb)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cyclic-redundancy-check-error-on-a-western-digital-external-hard-drive-1tb.937926/
Relevancy 96.32%

Does anyone know how many milliamps this device draws?

The "Technical Specification" provides plenty of info but does not specify the actual current. All it says is that it is powered directly from the USB port. But I need to know exactly what the peak ma of this device is.

TiA

T

A:Western Digital My Passport Essential 250GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-my-passport-essential-250gb-usb-2-0-portable-external-hard-drive.1107433/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi all I recently plugged a Western Digital Cavier Green Model WDC WD EADS- M B into an old motherboard Gigabyte GA-M GM-S G and noticed that the Hard drive capacity had shrunk from GB to MB Apparently the Gigabyte motherboard has an Xpress Recovery BIOS The BIOS writes a backup copy of itself to the top end of the drive and then hides itself in a small HPA Unfortunately there is a bug in the BIOS which incorrectly adjusts the drive's capacity This results in TB drives being truncated to MB TB are reduced to GB and TB drives shrink to TB So after reading this I Green Western Digital as 1Tb 33.4MB reading Cavier attempted to recover the capacity using a collection of tools called Hirens Boot CD but Western Digital Cavier Green 1Tb reading as 33.4MB no luck If ANYONE has any advice of Western Digital Cavier Green 1Tb reading as 33.4MB how could I restore them back to GB This happened twice also on a Samsung TB HDD please reply as this is GB of space I desperately need Thank you all in advanced

A:Western Digital Cavier Green 1Tb reading as 33.4MB

Have you tried updating the bios? Some older MB's have trouble with larger drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281483-western-digital-cavier-green-1tb-reading-33-4mb.html
Relevancy 89.44%

I purchased a Western Digital gb external hard drive My Passport Essential I think a few years back with the idea that I would use it as a backup to my main computer and or an alternative hard drive storage for my music But I have been sadly deceived and luckily I have only used it as a sync temporary access drive when I needed to print stuff away from home Well the time has come to upgrade to a new computer with more space and speed etc than current and I have been trying to find ways to transfer my existing files across In my search I have stumbled across many forums websites that advise the WD external hdd and the preinstalled software WD Sync Dmailer Sync a hard backup Use as external drive drive Digital Western whichever it is now is not suitable as a backup drive and that if the computer is erased and at any point resync ed the data on the external hdd Use Western Digital external hard drive as a backup drive will be deleted Also many people advise they have lost files as a result of computer crashes etc and cannot retrieve the files from either their WD hdd or their computer All of which has prompted me to start this thread Can anyone please tell me is there Use Western Digital external hard drive as a backup drive a way to Transfer my files to my new computer using the WD external hdd NB Not as important as I have alternative methods may start another thread Turn the WD hdd into a back up drive without purchasing the Dmailer Backup software NB I am not opposed to buying new software but I feel I have been quot done quot by a highstreet actually retail park computer store and I don t particularly want to purchase a product that has more limitations Register my new Use Western Digital external hard drive as a backup drive computer with it so that I can wipe give this computer and give it away Alternatively wipe the WD hdd and start all over again I have contacted Dmailer already but patience it not my strongest point specs current windows XP gb hdd memory unknown celeron M processor new windows gb hdd gb memory core duo processor - both laptops notebook nbsp

Relevancy 85.14%

Another problem with my computer stuff....

This time it's my External Hard Drive. When i plug it into the computer, literally nothing happens. It's not like the computer does not recognise it, it doesn't even show up on the safely remove, "My computer" and Device Manager.

The light is also flashing, Help would be greatly appreciated/

Relevancy 85.14%

This is the most aggravating thing in the world I can't eject my USB WD External Drive from my Windows Laptop I don't have an issue at all when it's connected to my Windows XP desktop computer It releases immediately Also absolutely NO ISSUE when using Flash Drives they eject fine The drive is Western Digital External Help HD USB a USB Western Digital External Hard Drive that I use to USB Western Digital External HD Help save things I receive from the Groups I'm in to keep the clutter off my Laptop Whenever I try to eject via the Safely Remove Icon or go to the Open Devices and Printer and physically find the External Drive and select EJECT I get the same generic message that tells me this drive CAN NOT be closed as another program is using it DUH I'm sure it's a windows process but I can not locate what could possibly be holding onto the External Drive I've tried everything I've run CC Cleaner to clear out possible offending files gt I've shut down my Avast AntiVirus until reboot hoping if Avast was monitoring that drive somehow this would release it I've opened TaskManager and NO PROGRAMS open that could be using it Looked at the Process's Running NO CLUE what most of these are so kind of afraid to close something there The External Hard drive is my F drive I know it's some kind of a windows process holding the drive because there are times I'll pull a graphic off of the external and use in an email but I never see anything in the Process's list that relate to an email program which btw are closed because my Firefox browser is closed so that should end my Gmail accounts I do use the Windows search feature not everytime the External is connected but on occassion looking for something saved on that drive I am just baffled without understanding those Windows process's I don't have a clue what I can shut that will help Is there a program that could be installed that would help me understand what is hanging onto that External Drive and if it's safe to end it Or is there a program that could stop the running process's without damage to the computer What I'm doing right now is shutting down the laptop I get a QUICK Screen saying something about a background program running then about as fast as that disappears windows shuts down The LED light on the drive goes out so then I unplug the USB from the laptop and the adapter from the surge protector I could go on shutting down like that but I am so afraid I'm going to do something or corrupt the drive and lose all my documents Guess you can tell I'm not a techie person I can move around a computer but with all the terminology I am at a total loss I know only enough to make me dangerous I sincerely hope someone will read this and be able to help me I've read all the articles here I could find but although some of the issues were similiar they were not the same Thank You in advance for ANY help Jenn

A:USB Western Digital External HD Help

I also get this issue from time to time. Too infrequently for me to worry about it.

So rather than spending a lot of time tracking it down I simply restart the computer. When you restart (or shut down) Windows closes all working processes and "ejects" the drive before powering off. It is a safe way to disconnect the external without risk of losing data or other negative effects as far as I know.

I have read that the issue can be due to Indexing - try turning indexing off for the external, issues with Libraries, thumbnails, and of course, poorly written software.
There are a number of small programs you can download and install to explore Windows processes and turn them on and off if you want to try and track your issue down.

Check this thread here fore some: http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...l-usb-hdd.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/166112-usb-western-digital-external-hd-help.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a 80 GB external harddrive and I plug it into my computer using a usb cable and my computer finds the hardware and installs the driver and everything worked fine.

I've been out of town for a month or so and now that i get back and plug everything back in my HD will not open.

Everytime I click on the F: drive in My Computer it will open a window and that window will freeze and when I hit control-alt-delete it says Not Responding. I have all my files and programs on this harddrive can anyone help me so I can get it to work again.

I'm using XP Pro any help is appreciated.

A:Western Digital External HD

I don't have a quick solution for you yet but the last thing you should try is removing the drive from the case and installing it on your computer as an IDE device (slave). You should be able to access your data that way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-hd.159033/
Relevancy 85.14%

So I have a WD A drive that has been with me for a bit not worked hard or anything well to get to the point of the story Tonight and lately ive been getting errors on start about possible corruption or bad sectors Not thinking checked the box next to attempt to recover and repair bad sectors No valid backup theres nothing too terribly important except a lot of music and such but im still holding out on recovering some of it Ive already gotten the diagnostic from WD site and im running the extended test digital external Western HDD more hours to completion The drive shows up fine in Devmngr but when I looked at it a bit ago in diskmgmt there was a chunk of approx GB of unallocated space I already know this thing is dying but im hoping to get the data off before I can it first simple smart test failed and the WD diagnostic that came with the drive wont even complete the scan without erroring out Is it Puppy Linux time guys Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD Series - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB G Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB L Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd P A-UD -B Antivirus Western digital external HDD avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled Thanks Ty Smith A MCITP nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-hdd.1032841/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi peeps Thought I d come on here to refresh my enthusiasm Trying to fix a friend s Western Digital external hard drive which is an old type My Book Essential drive Have read up on the Internet and this seems to be a common problem - as soon as the hard drive is plugged in it instantly slows the computer right down so it s almost unoperational It takes between - minutes to show up in My Computer and even then you aren t able to open the drive hangs when you click on it and fails to open If I go External Please! HDD Western Help - Problem Digital into Disk Management it appears in there and says it s free which I know for a fact isn t correct well at least I hope not It shows up in Western Digital External HDD Problem - Help Please! Device Manager instantly under disk drives It s a JB either hard drive ID or model number Can anyone shed any light on Western Digital External HDD Problem - Help Please! the problem I really want to get this working again and has a lot of music and photos stored on there Any help would be much appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Western Digital External HDD Problem - Help Please!

The first thing I'd try .. Is run a Data recovery on it.
See if the data recovery can see the drive and recover the files.

Recuva is popular here at TSG .. Here's a list of recommended Recover programs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-hdd-problem-help-please.982317/
Relevancy 84.28%

Would like to ask for your recommendations.I'm deciding on buying a new external HDD later on..But i'm not sure which is better?Seagate freeagent or WD's my passport essentials?Am planning on getting a 320gb type..

Looking forward for your replies..Thanks.

A:Seagate or Western digital External HDD?

I think it would be better to get an enclosure .. And a good quality Hard Drive of your choice ..
and build your own .. There's advantages of being able to get to the HDD

Something like these parts ..
Newegg.com - Rosewill RX-358-S
Newegg.com - western digital caviar black
See the 5 yr warranty on the HDDs ??

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/54298-seagate-western-digital-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 84.28%

1T/B Western Digital external drive not being recognized

Hello everyone,
I have a WD 1T/B external hard drive that is not being recognized by my computer anymore. It just stopped working. When I plug the USB cable in, Windows recognizes that the device is there, and says that it has installed the approapriate software for the device and it is ready to use. However, the drive does not appear in My Computer. Also, I have right-clicked on my computer and then the Manage option, and under Disk Management, I do not see the drive. I have all of my sports games and music on the drive. I just need some help on how to solve this problem.

A:1T/B Western Digital external drive

Tried another PC? Its possible something in the enclosure died and the drive itself is fine. Could open the enclosure up and put the drive in another one or put it internally in a PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1t-b-western-digital-external-drive.173019/
Relevancy 84.28%

I really need some good technical help I have many important files from work on my Western Digital TB External HD model WD H U- purchase months ago It is connected to my Toshiba Satellite L laptop -bit OS I was satisfied by the external HD and purchase a second one external Digital Western malfunction 1TB HD TB - model WDBAAF HBK-NESN days Western Digital 1TB external HD malfunction ago I began to Western Digital 1TB external HD malfunction transfer large files form my original TB to my TB for permanent records The USB connector was accidentally detached during transfer and now all my Western Digital 1TB external HD malfunction original on the TB model files will not open Files that transferred are fine But many others are not not opening Original folder names are intact albeit sub-folders and any contents therein have strange marking not original names I tried quot Restore Previous Version quot option and it did not give me a choice option to restore from I ran quot Error Checking quot and it did nothing I ran quot Defragmentation quot and it also did nothing Now each time I try to open the folders I cannot see contents and I am getting the OPEN WITH PROGRAM window as if the file extensions were lost Which is strange because all contents are different types of files such as word excell pictures movies etc So I cannot really choose an OPEN WITH option Files seem to still be in the HD as it shows GB free and GB used HELP How do I recover my files I really need help this is vital information I just cannot lose Please someone help me nbsp

A:Western Digital 1TB external HD malfunction

First Rule is to Copy and Paste and then Delete.
having said that you probably need a recovery software. I haven't used Recuva, but it gets good reviews and believe is free.
I have had good success recovery jpegs (my wedding pictures actually) from a formatted and reinstalled OS using Active Undelete. http://www.active-undelete.com/
Highly recommended.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-1tb-external-hd-malfunction.152444/
Relevancy 84.28%

I was given an external hard drive by a friend of mine When I got it it was working fine it could read and write - transfer files and worked with all my computers I decided I wanted to use Digital Harddrive Western External it as my iMac backup and Western Digital External Harddrive for that it required to be reformatted So I used the inbuilt Disk Utility but I ended up Western Digital External Harddrive with the error message Unable to Western Digital External Harddrive write to the last block of the device I left it on my Windows PC overnight and it was still reformatting about hours later When I plugged it into my Mac it had a partition but I can t do anything with it on my mac and when i try to make a partition on my mac it get the same error Unable to write to the last block of the device Nothing I do seems to work Many websites have just said that it s dead and to get a new one or send it to an expert but I like to give these things a try I ve got nothing to lose Anyone got any ideas from software to hardware When I open it on my computers it s not connected as a drive it needs to be initialised Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 84.28%

Hello,

My wife dropped my brand new External WD HDD and it won't work.
I tried it on my Vista laptop and my Win7 Desktop.
In both computers the HDD will increase the booting time by 7-12 minutes and the HDD is detected, BUT it can not be opened/seen with the windows explorer.
It is 1.5TB in size and right now I am using HHD Regenerator with a bootable CD to recover the disk. The thing is that it has been 10 hours and only 0.04% of the disk has been scanned...1028MB to be precise and it keeps findings "bad sectors". I have like 2.100.000 bad sectors detected...at this rate it will take like 20 days to finish the scan...why is it taking so long???
Pls help, I need to rescue some info from that HDD.

Thanks in advance,

Jose...

A:My external Western Digital HDD is not recognized

Personally in my line of work, I've had to recover a lot of failing hard drives, but never did I have to recover one that had been dropped, that's a new one for me. I have heard, but never used, that program you speak of. I myself try to do my best to transfer information on a "going out" hard drive to another, rather than try and "regenerate" one.

Now mind you, the hard drive has been dropped, if dropped upon a carpeted floor, you may have a chance! Dropped upon a hard wood floor or tile floor and linoleum flooring, you most likely are out of luck.

If you can you should try and find yourself a spare hard drive, hook it up to your system and try running a program called "Drive Copy"! Might have better luck to just copy the hard drive, as it is now. Then worry about reforming or regenerating a hard drive.

And if all else fails, you said two key words in your post, which were brand new, you said the drive is brand new, so if you got the original packaging, sometimes not required, and you still have the sales slip, package all that together, and get yourself back to the store and get another new external hard drive.

"Seriously Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. salesperson, the drive just wont work, I can only wonder why" :rolleyes:

Good luck to you..............

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-western-digital-hdd-is-not-recognized.164983/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello all. Hoping you can help me out.
You see, here's the problem: I installed Windows 8 Release Preview on my external HDD (which is not in an enclosure.) I was messing around using Windows 8 (booted from the HDD) and suddenly, the cable came loose. Everything stopped. I got a BSOD, and then it shut down. Since then, I have booted into Windows 7, and the device is not at all recognised. It isn't displaying in Disk Management, or Device Manager.
I'm not sure where to go to next.
Please try to help me.
Greatly Appreciated!

A:Western Digital External HDD - Not being recognized

Is there not a reset button on the back that you can press to reset it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/243392-western-digital-external-hdd-not-being-recognized.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Okay so here is the issue. A buddy of mine is having issues with his External Western Digital Harddrive. The Harddrive is a 1Tb. His laptop is a HP Netbook Mini 210-1180NR. When ever he plugs his external into his computer he instantly gets BSD. He has plugged my two Externals, A Toshiba and A Seagate, no BSD they loaded with no problem. I plugged his External (WD) into my Dell Latitude E6420 ATG and it loaded up with no problems. This WD external works on all other laptops except his (HP Netbook). We have unistalled all programs dealing with Western Digital and I have looked at many forums with no luck. All of the machines Have Windows 7 Installed. Any help to this problem will be greatly appreciated, as myself or any of my IT buddies have had zero luck.

A:Western Digital external Harddrive Causing BSD

Is there anything on this drive that needs to be kept or can you backup anything on it to another?

What is the exact model of the WD unit? Some of these units come with a special virtual disc that contains additional features or the software, and sometimes that can cause problems, I'd probably recommend remove of it but it requires a special utility. WD also releases firmware for some of their drives too, it may need one of those updates.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-harddrive-causing-bsd.1102529/
Relevancy 82.99%

so ive got a western digital my book essential external hard external digital drive issues western drive ive had western digital external drive issues it for about - years now and ive loved it it is a gb ive been using for storeing pretty much everything on withoit a problem untill now recenlty its not been able to let me access the contents and now i cant even see it on my computer also when i plug it in sometimes it will bog the comp down and the access light flikers wich normally it doensnt do this unless in use is it cooked shoudl i thorow it down my stairs brake torque it i really dont want to have to buy a new one and also id like to get my data back edit just noticed i can see the drive but it is not accessible when i try and it is not called files like its supposed to just a generic name and drive letter also when i try to acess it it crashes explorer unless i wait for about minutes untill it says u need to reformat this drive to use it ive already tried to make it work on computers install of vista and installs of xp with same results does anybody have a solution for me dont wanna lose gb of data nbsp

A:western digital external drive issues

Those are some of the classic signs that the drive is failing. Your options are to try some recovery software, free or otherwise, try to image the drive with something like Acronis True Image with the ignore bad sectors option turned on (check which version supports that option before using), or possibly running a program like SpinRite from www.grc.com targeted at the drive (Ideally making an image first to get what you can and then run SpinRite which may very well make it possible to recover all the data...or kill the drive if its a mechanical problem because SpinRite works the drive pretty hard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-drive-issues.747325/
Relevancy 82.99%

ok, so i have a 640GB WESTERN DIGITAL EXTERNAL ELEMENTS HARD DRIVE, the computer (running 32-bit windows 7 home premium) recognises it with the "du-du" sound when it is plugged in, BUT. wond tecognise it in "My computer" it shows up in the "device management list" but i cannot Manualy change the drive letter, the option isnt even there. i want the data off of it, it is not under warranty. anybody have any ideas for me to try?

A:Western Digital external drive not recognized

Was it previously recognised, but won't now?

Some more information about how it happened would be handy, as that will help diagnose any problems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-drive-not-recognized.152852/
Relevancy 82.99%

I have a few of these drives and I would like to now use them as internal SATA drives instead of external USB.

I have tried doing a lot of things to open the case but am having a problem getting the darn thing to open

Here are some pics of how I've been doing it:

Here are the steps I've taken:
1. remove black paint under my rubber foot
2. unscrew screw
3. Press tabs on both sides of drive

This should then pull apart. I've read other threads on different forums that say this is all that is needed. I've gone to the extent of permanently depressing the tabs to the point where they are almost broken!

Any ideas here as to what is holding it together?

A:How can I open my External Western Digital Mybook HD?

Dremel Tool with the cutting wheel.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-open-my-external-western-digital-mybook-hd.535039/
Relevancy 82.99%

My Western Digital GB external drive took a nose dive yesterday When I plug it in to the computer via the USB drive the computer doesn t see it I went ahead and took it out of the plastic case just Problem External Western Drive Digital to see if anything was noticably broken Nothing seemed loose or anything It will still power on and the drive seems to run when its plugged in to the computer It feels really weird now though when it runs--almost like holding two of the same poles of a magnet together I took the drive to Micro Center to pick up cables so I could try to plug it Western Digital External Drive Problem in to my desktop or laptop The tech support person was Western Digital External Drive Problem able to access the drive when it was plugged directly in to his computer via SATA cable I got the cables I needed got home can t find a place to plug the cables into inside the desktop or laptop Anyhow I m thinking that the problem is more with the component that enables the drive to be plugged in to the USB its a circuit board that the power supply SATA and USB cord plug in to Does anyone know what its called Is it possible to buy a replacement part for it Are there any other suggestions Thanks nbsp

A:Western Digital External Drive Problem

You can buy an external case replacement. The drive will mount inside the case. I'm not sure what size you've got, but you can start here and refine your search. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-drive-problem.828479/
Relevancy 82.99%

hey i want to remove the virtual disc drive from my western digital my book and use it as a normal external drive.. i dont want to use the WD software..

ive heard that there is some way to do this, but i searched the WD website and couldnt find anything...

has anyone else ever done this, or heard of this?

also, it must be something new they have started doing because my old 250gb mybook has no virtual drive or anything...

A:western digital my book external drive

have you tryed looking up free software for the virtual hdd? and also wouldnt this be in the registry as well im sure if you can find the extention and maybe manualy delete it or use software that will restore the drive to the original http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260338also try this it may help it also talks about how to get rid of it through hardware manager

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/114720-western-digital-my-book-external-drive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I recently purchased a TB Western Digital MyBook external hard drive The device turns on just fine displaying a light blue oval shape on the front of it Although when i try to move files onto the drive the amount of free space goes down Digital malfunctioning MyBook external HD Western but the files do not show up in the drive There are no sub-folders only one central folder where i tried to move the files I have quot show hidden files and folders Western Digital MyBook external HD malfunctioning quot on so it s not being hidden Because it was the first time i ve used it I decided to try to format it but after I set the options to default and clicked start It asked me if i was sure i wanted to clicked yes then it said quot Windows was unable to format drive quot If anyone has an idea on how to fix this issue it would be much appreciated If you want some further clarification on what is going on I have no problem doing so Thank you nbsp

A:Western Digital MyBook external HD malfunctioning

1) If you just bought it, your best resolution might be to simply return/exchange for another one

2) For general reference, See Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive and note the first couple steps. Try
> Running Windows Update
> Running the DriveCleanup tool

3) Also, do you have the same problem with a different computer? You can also test it on your computer under Knoppix (to see if it's a Windows issue or not) See How to recover your folders/files when Windows won?t boot for how to create a bootable Knoppix CD. Then boot up and test it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-mybook-external-hd-malfunctioning.138820/
Relevancy 82.99%

Good Morning Everyone I have a Western Digital SATA HDD gb that was in an external quot my book quot enclosure that has died Digital wont Spin External HDD Up Western on me The Western Digital External HDD wont Spin Up case itself powers up but the drive does not spin up and is not recognized in windows or linux I have tried the following Removed drive from case and plugged in as second drive in my desktop with no luck in seeing it Booted the computer using a BartPE disk and tried to see if I could see the disk through the utility with no luck I am guessing my last resorts are to either find a logic board that matches and try to save the data or send to a company that will require my first born child as payment I would like to replace the logic board if that is the case but want to make SURE what I am looking for before I randomly go spending money on HDD s that I think will work because of model DCM etc any help is appreciated from everyone nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-hdd-wont-spin-up.875464/
Relevancy 82.99%

I recently got a SimpleTech GB external hard drive model - - to replace the Western Digital GB external model WD B -RNN that I had managed to fill up When I connected the Simpletech drive I couldn t access the WD drive I shut down and disconnected the SimpleTech drive and started up again but the western longer digital recognized hd no external WD drive was no longer recognized Everytime I connect the WD drive windows XP recently updated gives me a USB Device Not Recognized message and lists the drive as an unknown device on a port USB hub it s not connected to a hub I thought this might be an issue with the drivers installed on my machine so I ve hooked it up to others with the same results I ve tried uninstalling and western digital external hd no longer recognized reinstalling western digital external hd no longer recognized the drive in the device manager and running WD s diagnostic software as was recommended by their tech support to no avail Is there anything I can do to get the drive to be recognized again nbsp

A:western digital external hd no longer recognized

Good Afternoon professor stas, these kinds of devices on USB can really be difficult to troubleshoot.
Rather than get too involved and possibly damage something, the easiest path is to remove the drive from the case and then install it as fixed drive in a machine.
This avoids the go-between stuff that most likely will be causing your problem.

With windows it is not uncommon to sneeze and you will lose your USB stuff!

Another option may be to run a live Linux system, this is where a different reliable kind of operating system would load.
This path would need a bit of re-learning. (fifteen minutes or so!) LOL!

Others will have different ideas.

There are all kinds of options.
Cheers, qldit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-hd-no-longer-recognized.493930/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi SevenForums Community,
I just accidentally hit the power cord running from my external 1TB Western Digital MyBook Essentials with my foot and the drive crashed over 2 feet to the ground!

Nothing is cracked.. And the drive still has all the files on it and it playing music and movies just fine... but I think i should check it and stuff. The only thing that happened the connectors on the back are off alignment now with the plastic casing so i have to slide over to insert cables. This drive has everything of mine that i own on it and I'm worried about it.

Is there any software i should use to check this drive for errors?

Thanks so much..!

A:DROPPED my Western Digital External drive!!

I would just open a command shell and run a chkdsk <drive letter>: on the drive, and let that report any possible errors.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/231490-dropped-my-western-digital-external-drive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I have a failing pc. Tried to back up to new western digital 3tb drive but it won't let me. I have an Xp os that I upgraded to win 7 ultimate. I reformatted per some other forums but still no. It says the back up could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Any help would be appreciated.

A:failed back up with new western digital 3tb external hdd

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/318493-failed-back-up-new-western-digital-3tb-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I have an external Western Digital HD that is playing up. When plugged in it just emits a "beep beep" and the power lights do not come on, also it does not show up on "My computer" anyone got any ideas?

A:western digital external drive (not about the lawsuit though)

Well, first stop it to try it on another machine. If it fails there, you'll probably have to contact WD if it's under warranty, and crack the case and test the drive itself if the warranty has expired.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-drive-not-about-the-lawsuit-though.482065/
Relevancy 82.99%

Just bought myself a supa dupa all singing and all dancing HP PC capable of reaching the moon only to find that my WD external HDD (with ALL my backups!!) isn't recognized when I plug it in!

Done everything....... looked under DEVICE MANAGER = nothing, COMPUTER MANAGEMENT = Nothing, Explorer = Nothing, rebooted with/without the drive connected = Nothing, pulled the crappy cable in and out a thousand times = Nothing ..................................... From looking everywhere via Google this appears a MAJOR problem that a few thousand others who also thought the WD stuff would run on Win 8.

Any ideas appreciated as close to throat slitting time!

A:Solved: Can't get Western Digital external HDD to connect to Win 8

I probably can't help, but a couple basic questions ...

Model of the external drive?

Is it self powered? If not, does it require two USB connections or a USB 3.0 port?

Have you tried several USB ports?

Does it still work with another computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-get-western-digital-external-hdd-to-connect-to-win-8.1109069/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi Guys

I have a WD 1T My Book, which i have used twice, in six months. Now the PC won't recognise the external drive. The external has is powered up light on and the latest version of the WD software is installed on my PC, but still it is not seen. I have been through the device manager search etc and still nothing. I am using Vista 32bit with sp2 installed. All my other usb devices work no problem. Any suggestions.

Cheers

A:Western Digital external drive probs

for starters go to wg support WD - Service & Support Home and download and run the lifeguard diagnostic app for your model.

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/280590-western-digital-external-drive-probs.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I use the program on HDD delete Can't folder Western External Digital there came with the disk WDSmartWare It's OK but i can't delete the backup It sounds strange to delete a backup but it's because it's an old backup from another computer I've Can't delete folder on Western Digital External HDD tried to delete the folder in Ubuntu which i've installed on a third-partition It seems to work but when i change to Windows there is a folder named Trash- I HAVE emptied the trash can in Ubuntu If I rename the folder in Windows to f x quot Delete me quot I can see it again in Ubuntu Maybe I have to say that i've a bit problems when i have to remove the HDD from Ubuntu It's says that there still is a process running but the process doesn't stop I've waited for an hour now If I right click on the process and select quot End task quot Ubuntu works a few seconds and when it says quot You can remove the movable disk now quot I've also tried to delete the folder in Super-admin account in Windows What can I do more Sorry Can't delete folder on Western Digital External HDD for my bad english

A:Can't delete folder on Western Digital External HDD

Have you tried to uninstall it? It might work if you uninstall it then delete the folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/245044-cant-delete-folder-western-digital-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,

My LG 42LX6900 displays the above message whenever I connect my new Western Digital 5TB HD.

I have formated, created 3 partitions ensuring that none of them exceeded 2TB and tried googing for solutions.

I had this issue before with a 3TB Seagate HD and I recall resolving it by creating two partitions and ensuring they were both under 2TB.

Only difference between this 3TB and 5TB is that the 3TB is MBR and the 5TB I had to do as GPT in Windows 10 X64 - as when I tried to shrink the partitions it would not allow me to select one if it was MBR.

Format is NTFS, wish to keep it like this as plan to transfer large movie files to this drive.
Hard Drive is desktop and mains powered.

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks

A:Problems on USB message on LG TV - Western Digital 5TB External HD

Ok I have part found the solution now. I download some other software to use - Paragon Partition Manager - free version.
I then deleted the partitions, formatted and started all again.

I started of as MBR and then created 3 partitions - first two being under 2TB and the third one being the smallest under 1TB.
I assigned the 1st partition as active and primary - not sure if it needs to be active.

I copied one movie file into each partition and now the TV recognises the first two volumes but not the smallest one.

I could get by as I did not plan to use the last partition for movies, but it would be helpful to know why it does not see the final partition and if this can be resolved?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/32750-problems-usb-message-lg-tv-western-digital-5tb-external-hd.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I tried to re hook up my Western Digital External HD back up to this computer as I had it on my computer downstairs, when I plugged in the power cord blue sparks shot out so I moved it into a diffierent socket and now the light just keeps blinking and my computer won't recognize it at all. Please help I can't afford to lose my personal things on here!

A:Western Digital External HD stopped working

You can take it out of the enclosure and hook it direct to a Desktop PC internally......or you can buy a Enclosure for it...sounds like the powersupply went south.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-hd-stopped-working.1017327/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,

I recently installed a Western Digital "My Book" 320G external hd. The drive powers down whenever I turn off the CPU, but the blue power indicator light comes on every five seconds, even when my entire system is shut down. Is this normal? I do not hear any drive activity, but the light is annoying in a dark room when I sleep. It is plugged into a Belkin USB hub which is powered separately, but the only way to turn off the hub is to unplug it. The hd is remarkably light on documentation. Any ideas?

Thanks!

A:Western Digital external HD power light

It's possible that the light will flash in standby mode as long as there is power from the USB hub. There is some information here which might help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-hd-power-light.549825/
Relevancy 82.99%

Heres how it goes...
I use my external as a storage for a lot of important data. Just today, I turned it on and noticed the drive loaded, but, when I clicked on it, it had said "The disk in drive L is not formatted Do you want to format it now?" The hard drive was full to the 450gb mark! Hopefully this can be fixed without losing any data, I don't know what could have caused this to happen.
Your help is appreciated.

Edit: Right now I'm scanning with Data Lifeguard. Its going to take 4 hours, so Ill update when its done.

A:Western Digital - External Drive Problem

We hear "The hard drive was full to the 450gb mark!" all too often... The drive is probably toast

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-drive-problem.104638/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi all Got a Western Digital My Book & Western Clicking Access Digital External Drive Can't WD - External Drive with issues Had it for - years just for back-up The other day it just started clicking so I turned it off and back on Since then it starts up clicks External Western Digital Drive Clicking & Can't Access a few times and then you can hear it wind down Green light stays on as normal Can t see it in My Computer or device manager Searched online and didn t really see too much other than remove it from the case and insert in a desktop so this is what I did Put External Western Digital Drive Clicking & Can't Access it in an XP system When I turn the PC on External Western Digital Drive Clicking & Can't Access the drive clicks a few times and the computer gives me a black amp white screen that shows my CPU ram drives at the bottom it says ERROR Failure Fixed Disk Del to Setup or F to resume When I resume it starts fine but can t see the the WD drive in My Computer Disk Mangement or in Bios Not sure what the jumper settings should be although I did search and I put them at what I think are slave settings Don t know if I may need to download some drivers for the system to see the drive or what The data isn t too important but would like to get at it if I could Thanks for any help nbsp

A:External Western Digital Drive Clicking & Can't Access

Typically, this means your drive is dead and salvage is very expensive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-western-digital-drive-clicking-cant-access.1041556/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Can someone please let me know the life expectancy of a Western Digital 250 GB external hard drive? It's model WD2500B011. Thanks!

Relevancy 82.13%

Hi to all (and happy new year!)

I want to buy a 2.5" external drive, but as you can imagine i don't know which one.
I have already opened a thread like this in tom's hardware:

[ I can't post the link due to rules, please google username gouzou in tomshardware to find the thread ]

but i wanted more like a debate on this matter.

The competitors are:
1) WD my passport Elite 5400rpm, 750gb
2) Seagate Goflex Pro 7200rpm, 500gb
3) Samsung S2 HX-MTA64DA, 7200rpm(i think..), 640gb

WD and Seagate come in same price, Samsung $20 more.
Please consider rpms, density of data, reliability and only usb3.0 or esata for your verdict.

I mainly want the drive to have high write rate.

A:Western Digital vs Seagate vs Samsung External 2.5"

Well for the start all those have preloaded software on them, if you like them or no thats up to you (for backing up your media).

the Seagate Goflex Pr haves some nice features, but only if you have a device to use it, ill say its between the WD and the Samsung, obviusly the Samsung will be faster but the WD haves 90Gigs more,its up to you if you want more speed or those 90Gigs more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-vs-seagate-vs-samsung-external-2-5.159325/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello First time poster not sure if I've posted in the right bit I've got a Western Digital Elements TB USB external hard drive black if you was wondering and this afternoon for reasons HardDrive Western Elements 1TB USB2.0 Digital External I can't figure it's stopped working properly even though it was working this morning ALL my music and work files are saved to it and not to my Western Digital Elements 1TB USB2.0 External HardDrive C drive because I was told it was a better idea I first noticed when I went on iTunes and of the songs won't play the little exclamation bar doesn't come up and Western Digital Elements 1TB USB2.0 External HardDrive say that the file can't be found It simply won't play I've tried opening the songs that won't open in VLC player and Windows media player but they say quot File reading failed quot and quot Windows Media Player cannot play the file The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file quot respectively These are songs that I have download from iTunes and have always worked up until now When I open a file in Microsoft Word it opens up with no document and a pop-up box not sure the correct term comes up saying quot This file could not be found quot The laptop that I use is a Sony Vaio not sure the exact model details Anyone got any ideas what could be going on

A:Western Digital Elements 1TB USB2.0 External HardDrive

If you have your WD drive plugged in, is it showing up in Computer? Can you double click that drive letter and open it up? You can also go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc and Right click the diskmgmt.msc icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In Disk Management do you see your drive there?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/western-digital-elements-1tb-usb2-0-external-harddrive-627449.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have a 80 gig external hd that i store all my programs and other files on while just using my 10 gig internal hd for windows pro xp sp2 and its updates. Whenever I restart my computer or shut off and turn back on it makes it to the screen where it checks for all boot devices and master/slave drives, but whenever I have the external plugged in at boot it will not try to detect anything it will just hang there. Then if i unplug the external drive and restart it boots up fine and then i just plug back in the external. This is a problem since i have all my programs on the external and if i forget to plug in the external nothing works. Any help appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-western-digital-hd-hangs-computer-at-boot.283244/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have been using this USB drive for some time. I have it divided in to three seperate partitions, but recently (and this is the second time this has happened) XP will no longer detect the already existing partitions on the drive. I am able to see the drive in device manager, it shows up as a WD 2500JB External USB Device, as well as in the manage option when right clicking My Computer. However in the manage window it shows the whole drive as unallocated space. I know that there are files on there, (several GB's of customer backups.) it was there just yesterday. Any ideas on how to get Xp to pull it's head out and see these partitions?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/western-digital-250gb-external-usb-drive-not-recognized-155324.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have a 500GB Western Digital External HD. I love it, but the USB cable to the PC is garbage. The peice that plugs into the drive slowly has bent and lost connection, and has corrupted parts of the HD. I need to move the files (which I can browse through but not move most of) onto my PC. Does anybody have a program or recommendation on how I can do this so I don't loose the data before I reformat it.

And yes, I'm using a new cord

Relevancy 81.27%

So I have a has to show something drive External it w/ Time won't Western Digital do Machine up. external hard drive I loaned to a friend so she could watch a couple movies on her mac I used xp soon after giving it to her she said it just didn t work any longer Long story short time machine somehow got on Western Digital External drive won't show up. Time Machine has something to do w/ it it did something to it I dont Western Digital External drive won't show up. Time Machine has something to do w/ it know When I plug it into my pc xbox it will no longer come up in My Computer but it does make the connect sound and comes up in the icon bar as a quot safely remove hardware quot icon I don t really know what to do at all I would like to save all the data seeing as I have spent a lot of time amassing it but from what I have heard that may not be possible Either way I need to get something going on it If anyone has any idea s please help me out Anything will be helpful Thank you nbsp

A:Western Digital External drive won't show up. Time Machine has something to do w/ it

What's the make/model # of the external drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-drive-wont-show-up-time-machine-has-something-to-do-w-it.928968/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi I use a Dell XPS with Windows XP Media Center Version Service Pack I have a Western Digital MyBook Premium harddrive digital prob 500gb external Solved: western Edition GB External Hard Drive It looks like this http reviews cnet com hard-drives western-digital-mybook-premium - - html Well the problem is that its supposed to be gbs or space My pc only shows gb of harddrive space on My Computer and that its a FAT file system The only thing I Solved: western digital 500gb external harddrive prob ve done was plug it in and put doc music vid files in it nothing else but that At the Solved: western digital 500gb external harddrive prob time I didnt know if that was normal or not so I didnt do anything about Solved: western digital 500gb external harddrive prob it but now that I ve become more computer smart I see that theres something up Is there a way to get the other gbs working from the external harddrive w o losing my files that are already on it I did the My Computer gt Properties gt Volume clicked on Populate and heres what I got Disc Disk Type Basic Status Online Partition style Master Boot Record MBR Capacity MB Unallocated space MB Reserved space MB nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

hello friends I am from india and months back i bought an usb gb external hard drive quot my passport series from western digital quot with bill and warranty Now the sad thing is that by accident i placed my hand over the drive and just a little of my weight went on top the drive it then made screeching sound since my reply drive digital gb Western passport external 250 please died.. it was connected to my notebook live Probably the head scratched the plates inside and crashed well all that hapnd just within fraction of a second and i believe the loss would not have been much i mean the physical loss not data Now the drive is not functioning let me assure u that the pressure on the drive was still not much may be the angle made it worse So now the drive is though not working but looks perfect anyway there is no sign of tampering as it has not been tampered Will i get the replacement for the drive under warranty if they dont can i argue or sue them please advise me i have filed the warranty replacement and courier person will come in next hours to take my drive But not sure whether i shall Western digital 250 gb external my passport drive died.. please reply get the replacement Do Reply Thanks nbsp

A:Western digital 250 gb external my passport drive died.. please reply

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-250-gb-external-my-passport-drive-died-please-reply.770642/
Relevancy 80.41%

hey guys, i just got this up and running yesterday and when in operation (but not actually transferring files to or from it) the drive makes a slight humming noise. my older WD 'my book' never made this noise.

is this normal? like i said, i only got it running recently and i don't know if this is apart of normal operation or not. is there any way to check? i did a 'quick drive scan' using the inbuilt software and that returned no errors.

if i did a more thorough scan and checked for bad sectors would this answer my question and solve the problem?

thanks guys

Relevancy 80.41%

Hello All,

I recently plugged in a wrong power supply to my 1 TB western digital premium edition ii triple interface. I smelt something burning within 3 minutes of plugging it in. I unplugged it and found the right power supply. That does not work at all now, the inner blue light just keeps flashing. I was reading online that the TVS diodes could be burnt out and if I replace them it could fix the issue. The problem is i have no idea where to buy them and i don't even know for sure if this is the issue. Any guidance is appreciate.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

A:1 TB western digital premium edition ii triple interface external HD not working

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1-tb-western-digital-premium-edition-ii-triple-interface-external-hd-not-working.1067823/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello everyone I have a Western Digital My Element doesn't page... Comp HD Western External on show up Digital Elements TB external harddrive The model number is WD EB - It is plugged onto my laptop through an external hub port I have from Belkin It is the Belkin Western Digital External Element HD doesn't show up on My Comp page... hub-to-go Now this was working fine and appeared in both My Computer page and the Safely Remove Hardware section I was then having a problem with one of my other programs my comp froze so I just turned off the computer When I loaded it again most of my Mozilla software disappeared which I uploaded But while the hub-to-go was recognized and picked up a location for my flash drive which uses the hub it did not recognize the external drive Actually the external WD HD doesn t have a location at all It s turned on and everything is fine but I get a Device Error with a yellow question mark for the mass storage ports and I can t seem to get the files that are on it If anyone can help me out I would be grateful I can also send you any information if you need others Oh my computer is a Sony Vaio SZ series laptop I ve had it for about years or so It s updated with all the necessary drivers I m not sure what s causing the malfunction Thanks nbsp

A:Western Digital External Element HD doesn't show up on My Comp page...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-external-element-hd-doesnt-show-up-on-my-comp-page.907756/
Relevancy 79.98%

I have this 80 gig WD HD that was working good until I had to reformat it( cloning my running HD to the WD messed up before completeing is the reason for the reformat) and now all it shows is 46 gig. I have trouble with WD HDs all the time. What do I need to do to get it back to its correct size?

Thanks

Relevancy 79.98%

TWO YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A WD HARD DRIVE, WD1600 BEV, MDL/WD 1600EIMS-OO, SER NO WXEZO 7H 24851. uSING wINDOWS 2000 AT THAT TIME IT OPERATED OK AND DID NOT NEED ANY ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE.

I HAVE SINCE CHANGED TO WINDOWS XP AND ATTEMPTED TO USE THIS DRIVE ON WHICH I BACKED UP MY FILES. WHILE IT SHOWS AS DRIVE e:/ AND THE DEVICE MANAGER SAYS IT IS WORKING WELL AND THE INDICATION IS THAT THERE IS STILL 143 MB LEFT. WHEN I ATTEMPT TO OPEN IT FROM 'MY COMPUTER' I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE " ACCESS IS DENIED"

I TOOK IT BACK TO COMPUTER WORLD FROM WHOM I BOUGHT IT AND THEY TESTED IT AND SAID IT WAS OK. COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I AM DOING WRONG, PLEASE.

A:Western digital hard drive

If it is formatted with an NTFS partition and transferred from another computer, you need to take ownership of the folders and files as described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-hard-drive.903117/
Relevancy 79.98%

I Have A Second Hard Drive And I Want To Use It For Storage Only
Do I Write It Back To Zeros ???????
Do I Put The Jumper On The Cs Or Sl Or Ma On The Back Of The Hard Drive??
Remember All I Want Is Storage On The Second Hard Drive
On The First Hard Drive The Jumper Should Be On (ma) Correct??

There Are 10 Pins On The Back Of The Hard Drive
Ma Sl Cs
Master
Slave
Cable Select
What Are The Other Four Pins For??????
These Are Both Western Digital Hard Drives

Relevancy 79.98%

I installed the western digital data lifeguard tools and ran full tests for both hard drives that I have and they passed. However, under properties for each drive it says Health Status - Warning. I was wondering what this exactly means.

A:Western Digital Hard Drive

I had scanned my hard drives (maxtors) with a similar tool and it said that a brand new hard drive had 3 moths to go (this was almost a year ago now) and one that was 3 years old had more than a year. It might be nothing to be concerned about.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-hard-drive.98425/
Relevancy 79.98%

Please can you confirm that Western Digital drive hard this p c can take a second hard drive I have a new TB WD EARS-OOMVWBO or MVWB cant tell if they are zeros or O quot s notice this comp fromn HP website can take TB WD hardrives with some issues on the rpm models but still can use I belive this on is a rpm version Western Digital hard drive so shouldnt expect any probs Western Digital hard drive However when after fitting i only get the BIOS screen displaying details of my proccessor Ram and Drives includind cd dvd drive However it seems to register it as it displays its details but Western Digital hard drive says IMINANT HARD DRIVE FAILIURE BACKUP URGENT cant do anything from there when i press to continue just mess saying something fatal has happened and then crashes Please advise have i just got a bad one or am i missing steps to install this hard drive Please provide previous troubleshooting steps or information that can help HP assist you have tried swapping the sata leads round onto diffrent connection on motherboard still receiving same results just on a diffrent port thats all Any help will be appriciated should i send it back nbsp

Relevancy 79.98%

My drive Western GB Digital Hard 500 issue is I had my old computer that I gave to my aunt to use as her old dell from died so they have had my computer for maybe year to years and I had had it fro like - years before that It was custom built not that it matters Anyways Western Digital 500 GB Hard drive the computer has been working just fine and they have not experienced any issues whatsoever until yesterday when Western Digital 500 GB Hard drive they woke up and the computer was sitting at a black screen saying select proper boot device etc etc They said when they went to bed it was on the yahoo homepage and when they woke up like this So my initial thought was maybe it got bumped and a cable came lose not the case then I tried different sata ports still nothing The drive doesn t even show up in the bios and so I ended up taking the PC back home with me and I took the Hard drive and put in an an external case I had and it spins up then starts like a whirring noise and then click click click not very loud but it s there if you hold the drive close enough to your ear and obviously the drive doesn t load up using the enclosure So I asked her had you been experiencing any issues at all I mean anything lately and she said no everything was working perfectly fine until that morning So my question is which I am pretty sure I can guess the answer but is three anything I can do to for the drive so that we can try and salvage some stuff off of it I mean she said it s not the end of the world and theres not a ton of stuff but still If I can I would like to at least try I can t find on the internet the exact sound or style of clicking it s making but it s not very loud clicking and it will spin up and then click like - times then like spin down and then back up and when it s spinning up it ll whir a little then start the - clicks or whatever The drive is a WD AAKS WD Cavier SE MFG May I also have the exact same drive just MFG date of Nov so I am not sure if doing something like that guy did in the video is feasible to try or if maybe trying to swap out the PCB s on the hard drive or will that not really do anything I am assuming the drive is toast and theres nothing that can be done but maybe someone on here has an idea or opinion https www youtube com watch v F Y BniaRXg Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 79.98%

I bought a new Western Digital hard drive. The size is 160 GB, however, when I install it into the compute the size is 137 GB. How can I get 160 GB of hard space or 152 GB of hard space.

Thanks!!!!

Relevancy 79.98%

If a hard drive cash and it also make noise. Is anyway to remove the data from the hard drive. I tried to install it as a slave drive, but the computer not Recognize hard dive.

Thanks!!!

A:Hard Drive- Western Digital

If the drive has been damaged to the point where it cannot be accessed, then the easiest way to get the data off of it is to use a data recovery service. This would be very expensive, but in most cases, it is your only option.

You say it made a noise. What kind of a noise was it? It sounds like the motor or heads are damaged, which would definitely make data recovery your only option. However, if it is only the controller board that has failed, it is possible (although difficult) to replace the board with one from an identical, working drive.

How exactly do you have the drive set up as a slave (what channel, what jumper setting, etc.)? Does your BIOS recognize that it is connected?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-western-digital.444023/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi,

My Sony Vaio had some problems so I want to backup all the files onto this 500gb external harddrive. Only problem is that I couldn't get it to work. Says that theres an error. I decided to try with just 1 file that was 1gb and it worked fine, so I'm in need of some advice on what the problem could be. Its a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition, 500gb harddrive (465.16gb when viewed in Manage), FAT32, has no partitions.

Heres the specs of my pc: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VGNCR320EL_mksp.pdf

A:Solved: Not able to backup files to Western Digital MyBook 500gb external harddrive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-not-able-to-backup-files-to-western-digital-mybook-500gb-external-harddrive.766546/
Relevancy 79.12%

Can someone tell me the easiest way to solve this problem?

I have a western digital external hard drive that has just stopped working.

I was accessing it through a 3.5 USB 2.0 to SATA external hard drive box.

I ordered a new external hard drive box and that works fine, however the hard drive still does

not show up on my laptop.

I have concluded that the hard drive has died.

Is there any way to recover this data? Do I need another external hard drive?

Is there a way to transfer the data from the bad hard drive to a memory stick.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Relevancy 79.12%

I have a Western Digital Elements Tb external drive which contains around Gb of data The drive itself is a WD Caviar Green Mb cache The drive functioned normally for an amount hard Western working drive not Digital of time but a while ago it started failing to spin up I m not getting the Western Digital hard drive not working distinct click of a dead drive just repeated quiet attempts to get itself going I have removed the drive from its enclosure to see if the casing was the problem After connecting it to an internal SATA port and power cable my PC failed to boot so it seems it is the drive itself which is the problem The drive shows up in Device Manager as working properly and any diagnostic tools show the correct capacity and volume of data but the folders remain inaccessible and my PC seems to struggle to perform some tasks while the drive is attempting to start When the drive does finally show up it shows as a local drive in My Computer and remains inaccessible I have tried Editing the registry as advised on the Microsoft support site Changing the drive letter Multiple USB and power cables Using as an internal drive nbsp

A:Western Digital hard drive not working

Well, if you can't access any files even when the drive is set as an external, the drive is toast... unless you want to pay someone to retrieve any data

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-hard-drive-not-working.186383/
Relevancy 79.12%

I hope this the right spot for this post, if not I apologize. I have a my book 1tb extremal hard drive and due to the mini usb piece falling off, I had no choice but to take it out and hook it up in my computer. I have windows 7 and disk manager recognizes it as unallocated. If I assign it a drive later it says that it needs to be formatted before I can use it which is NOT what I wanna do. Going to it's properties, it recognizes it as a gpt disk. How do I get it to ntfs without deleting anything? Or at least be able to use it, still without deleting anything. Before it messed up I only had about 30 gigs left and everything on it is very important. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Western digital hard drive problem

Files that are not backed up are files you do not expect to keep.

Why was it initialized as GPT?

Try recovering the files or partition table with Testdisk (for Windows). Do not run chkdsk, or make any other changes to the drive until your files are recovered or they will be gone forever.

Some other possible tools (it may be tril and error until something sees the files). Test a file before you recover them all in case the program is not getting the real files.

Free recovery applications:

Paragon Rescue Disk Free Edition (Undelete partitions, boot corrector, file recovery)
Dr. Freeware Boot CD (also has partition tool, drive cloner and imager)
DiskDigger & NTFSWalker
Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
Smart Data Recovery
Recover Files
Roadkil's Undelete
Recuva
Restoration
Free Undelete (NTFS only)
Softperfect File Recovery
ADRC Data Recovery Tools
Undelete Plus
Data Recovery
PCI File Recovery
DriveRescue
Ultimate Data Recovery
Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
File Scavenger
Recover My Files
RecoverPlus Pro
Zero Assumption Recovery
[email protected] File Recovery
Final Recovery
Recover4All Professional
Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
NTFS Recovery

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-hard-drive-problem.1008094/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello I'm on a Dell XPS running Windows XP For some time I've had a Western Digital My Book Premium BG recognized Western not Digital hard Drive USB Hard Drive attached on which I back up data The recent backups Western Digital hard Drive not recognized have failed and when I open My Computer the drive isn't there Many attempts have been made using information on the Western Digital site to find a fix for this all to no avail It seems my problem is not on their radar at all The backup software seems to operate the way it's supposed to Western Digital hard Drive not recognized except that the drive is not recognized by Windows so I can schedule backups and make selections as to what gets backed up but nothing happens I cannot use the Safely Remove Hardware tool to unplug it so I can reattach it because the hard drive doesn't appear in the list of devices It does not show up in the Device Manager in Windows I need to be able to get the data off of this drive I also tried attaching the Hard Drive to my laptop running XP which also did not recognize the drive Any suggestions

A:Western Digital hard Drive not recognized

Mabey the usb cable is not functioning properly.

Does your hard drive give any indication as to whether or not it is recieving power??

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/western-digital-hard-drive-not-recognized-192903.html