Windows Support Forum

Can only connect to home wifi - no public/hotspot wifi

Q: Can only connect to home wifi - no public/hotspot wifi

Hi there,

I have a new problem that has just cropped up today. I am no longer able to connect to public wifi or my phone's wireless hotspot. My laptop either will not connect or connect with limited access. It has connected without issue in the past and as soon as I returned home it connected to my wifi here.

What I did notice is I am connected to an unidentified network with no internet access in addition to my home wireless network:
Specs:
Acer Aspire S7 392
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260 (driver updated)
Disabled my firewall and antivirus

I just connected to my phone's hotspot again and here is what I am coming up with:
Attachment 57082

And when I run ipconfig/renew
Attachment 57083

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can only connect to home wifi - no public/hotspot wifi

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Can only connect to home wifi - no public/hotspot wifi

What Internet Security software are you using? Are you using any third party software to manage network connections?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/60701-can-only-connect-home-wifi-no-public-hotspot-wifi.html
Relevancy 85.87%

Greetings. My name is Randy. I got home after work yesterday and was unable to get my laptop or Android phone connected to my home network. The modem showed everything was working fine and the router was fine.

Then I noticed in the list of surrounding wifi hotspots, a new one I'd never seen -- Trojan.??? It was named Trojan dot something, like b9 or something like that. I cannot recall but can see it later tonight.

I have a TP-Link TL-WR940N V3 Wireless N450 Home Router.

Very troubling. Want to take care of this ASAP.

Thank you! 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/625458/wifi-hotspot-trojan-cant-connect-to-home-router/
Relevancy 82.15%

Things To Know When Using a WiFi Hotspot Or a Public PC.

-- Tom

A:Things To Know When Using a WiFi Hotspot Or a Public PC

Hi Tom

That guide was very well written... it did however miss out on the typing on an onscreen keyboard to skirt around keyloggers! lol

Best Regards

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/things-to-know-when-using-a-wifi-hotspot-or-a-public-pc.838121/
Relevancy 102.77%

Hi I've been using a hotspot wifi with my Windows computer for several months now The hotspot requires login the redirect is automatic This morning I tried to connect and connect to hotspot wifi Cannot it says This site can t be reached www hotspots de took too long to respond I tried connecting with my phone everything is working fine I've tried connecting my computer to another slower and weaker signal hotspot which does not require login in works fine I've done a troubleshoot on the network it came out with the following message resource www hotspots de is online but isn't responding to connection attempts The remote computer isn't responding to connections on port possibly due to firewall or security policy settings or because it might be temporarily unavailable Windows couldn't find any problems with the firewall on your computer I'm using avast I tried switching off all the shields made no difference Also if it is the antivirus that is blocking my connection why is it only blocking this particular hotspot while I can still connect to other much more inferior one and browse the web I work at home using the internet so it's imperative for me to have a good connection I might be using a Cannot connect to hotspot wifi lot of data Cannot connect to hotspot wifi and it's a public hotspot so it made me suspect that they might have blocked me from that particular hotspot Is it even a technical possibility Please help Arthur

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-connect-to-hotspot-wifi-1114138.html
Relevancy 102.77%

Hi I've been using a hotspot wifi with my Windows computer for several months now The hotspot requires wifi connect to Cannot hotspot login the redirect is automatic This morning I tried to connect and it says This site can t be reached www hotspots de took too long to respond I tried connecting with my phone everything is working fine I've tried connecting my computer to another slower and weaker signal hotspot which does not require login in works fine I've done a troubleshoot on the network it came out with the following message resource www hotspots de is online but isn't responding to connection attempts The Cannot connect to hotspot wifi remote computer isn't responding to connections on port possibly Cannot connect to hotspot wifi due to firewall or security policy settings or because it might be temporarily unavailable Windows couldn't find any problems with the firewall on your computer I'm using avast I tried switching off all the shields made no difference Also if it is the antivirus that is blocking my connection why is it only blocking Cannot connect to hotspot wifi this particular hotspot while I can still connect to other much more inferior one and browse the web I work at home using the internet so it's imperative for me to have a good connection I might be using a lot of data and it's a public hotspot so it made me suspect that they might have blocked me from that particular hotspot Is it even a technical possibility Please help Arthur

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/cannot-connect-to-hotspot-wifi-1114138.html
Relevancy 102.77%

My Laptop was connected to my WIFI and everything was ok. I left my laptop on for a few hours and when i came back to get on my WIFI did not work. It says that it can not identify the network and there is no internet access. I have tried almost everything i can find to try and fix this issue but nothing seems to work. I did a factory reset hoping that it would fix the issue but sadly it did not. I can use the hotspot on my phone to connect to the internet. when i run the troubleshooting program it says "The default gateway is not available". I use this laptop for work and i need to be able to connect to our WIFI. This is costing me money every day that i dont have access. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/I-Can-Connect-to-My-Hotspot-but-not-my-WIFI/td-p/5689414
Relevancy 102.77%

About a week ago, our cable internet connection went out. Before I had a chance to reboot the modem & router, my 11 year old decided to completely reset the router to factory settings! Ugh! This caused several issues: my home network is now gone, only a unsecured factory network is available. When I try to plug my laptop into the router via ethernet cord (in order to login to router and setup secure network) my computer will not recognize the router and won't connect to internet. I tried troubleshooting with my cable provider and they say it's in my computer (IP address will not reset) and he recommended I replace my network card. However, today when I brought my laptop to work, it will instantly recognize the wifi at work. So is it really my network card that is causing issues? Please help, I'm desperate and not tech too tech savvy!

Details:
Linksys wireless router
Charter cable modem
Hp pavillion dv6 laptop with Windows Vista OS

A:Laptop won't connect to home wifi but will connect to work wifi

Did you figure this out?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-wont-connect-to-home-wifi-but-will-connect-to-work-wifi.204978/
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi guys,
I have an issue I would like to resolve. I will try to be as clear and precised as possible.
I'm only allowed to one device to an internet. My laptop connects directly to internet WiFi. So the laptop (Windows 10) serves as a hotspot. But I have two other devices I want to connect. A PC (Windows 7) via Ethernet and a smartphone via WiFi.
Right now, I can either share the WiFi in laptop to the PC by bridging, or to smartphone via hospot, but NOT both at the same time. I want to connect both like this;

What should I do?

Thanks

A:I need to connect both Ethernet and WiFi to a Hotspot.

Originally Posted by wtenten

Hi guys,
I have an issue I would like to resolve. I will try to be as clear and precised as possible.
I'm only allowed to one device to an internet. My laptop connects directly to internet WiFi. So the laptop (Windows 10) serves as a hotspot. But I have two other devices I want to connect. A PC (Windows 7) via Ethernet and a smartphone via WiFi.
Right now, I can either share the WiFi in laptop to the PC by bridging, or to smartphone via hospot, but NOT both at the same time. I want to connect both like this;

What should I do?

Thanks

Your wifi is solved but for the ethernet part, you would need a wifi to ethernet adapter like this one.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/47609-i-need-connect-both-ethernet-wifi-hotspot.html
Relevancy 100.62%

This option for me is getting unchecked after sometime, after enabling it from Ethernet properties.

"Allow other network users to connect through this internet connection"

As a result am unable to start WiFi hotspot. I'd be really grateful if someone could help me solve this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/allow-other-network-users-to-connect-wifi-hotspot.1159878/
Relevancy 100.62%

My windows 8 laptop will not connect to the wifi hotspot of my samsung galaxy note 3

Can find it on other devices such as : iphone, ipad, Mac Computer but nothing running windows 8

A:My windows 8 laptop will not connect to my wifi hotspot

How have you tried setting it up? You are sure the Wifi on your laptop is turned on and working?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/42880-my-windows-8-laptop-will-not-connect-my-wifi-hotspot.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I found this other thread - http forums techguy org networking -solved-laptop-will-not-connect html I tried the options Please keep in mind that I to not will connect #2 via Laptop T-Mobile hotspot wifi am a complete beginner Half of what I read I didn t get - but I went to HP and downloaded changes to the driver as directed I still show the timeout issues When I am tethered to the T-Mobile hotspot I have internet On my main computer I have Windows and no issues with connecting via wifi I called TMobile They said it is a driver issue I don t want to shell out for a new computer or updated driver In beginner terms can you help me out here Thanks Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users my gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name my-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description T-Mobile Wireless Ethernet Adapter Laptop will not connect to T-Mobile hotspot via wifi #2 Physical Address -A -C - - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe acc e a eb d Preferred IPv Address Laptop will not connect to T-Mobile hotspot via wifi #2 Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Sunday November PM Lease Expires Monday November PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Mbps Networking Controller Physical Address - F- - D- -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - D-D -D - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap D E CB - EC - E- B - E C br D D Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

Relevancy 100.19%

I can't connect to public wifi networks but connect with no problem to my home network In detail Two days ago I went to a cafe I have been to many time before have logged onto their secured network many times before on this one and the same computer Their network password remains the same too if that's relevant In to Can't public WiFi connect the past my computer had automatically joined the network I did the whole Can't connect to public WiFi troubleshooting thing Can't connect to public WiFi and it said there was a problem with the router but no one else in the cafe was having connection problems When I tried to connect manually it gave me an error saying unable to connect before even giving me a prompt to enter the security Can't connect to public WiFi key I thought it was a glitch with that cafe or just another symptom of the very long bad day I was having but yesterday I attempted another cafe I have also been to many times with this computer on their network and had the same issue Background info I recently moved to a new place and this was the first time I'd been back to either cafe since moving I joined a quot Home Network quot at my apartment and have had no issue automatically connecting when I'm here I'm thinking maybe I hit some quot be true to home network quot switch or something PLEASE help I am in finals time and it's getting very jail cell being stuck in my home because i can't connect to internet anywhere Thank you

A:Can't connect to public WiFi

Hello, have a chat with the owner of the Internet Service you are trying to access, maybe your Mac address has been blocked .

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/293944-cant-connect-public-wifi.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Honestly this has bee annoying me for a very long time I have unreliable home internet but with Windows connecting to my phone is always a chore there is no option to refresh wifi networks I'm connect mobile limited to Hotspot, wifi Cannot options sure it does this automatically but there really needs Cannot connect to mobile Hotspot, wifi options limited to be a way to do this manually I'm aware that this can't really be changed so lets move on quot Connect to hidden network quot option sometimes disappears I don't know where it goes or why but it goes away when I need it most Windows cannot see my phone's Wifi hotspot Once in a blue moon it will see and it will connect fine if I use quot Connect to hidden network quot but in order to connect again I have to go through quot connect to hidden network quot EVERY TIME causing me to have multiple listings for my hotspot The first two are major pains but most importantly how the hell do Cannot connect to mobile Hotspot, wifi options limited i fix Asus book flip TP LN and Blackberry Z

A:Cannot connect to mobile Hotspot, wifi options limited

My first thought is something with the phone. My Android phone connects fine and computer sees it as soon as I turn hotspot on. Have you tried phone with a different computer and/or OS?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/66934-cannot-connect-mobile-hotspot-wifi-options-limited.html
Relevancy 99.33%

T-Mobile s tech support can t Laptop T-Mobile connect via Solved: not will to hotspot wifi seem to Solved: Laptop will not connect to T-Mobile hotspot via wifi figure out my problem so I m hoping someone here can help I just purchased a T-Mobile hotspot ZTE yesterday It can connect to the T-Mobile network and appears to be working fine My Wii can connect wirelessly to the the hotspot but my laptop can only connect to the internet through the USB cord which it s really not supposed to because that s supposed to be for charging the device When I try to connect via wifi to my hotspot my computer can detect the network However after I immediately enter my password it says that it cannot connect When I click quot Diagnose the problem quot it says there was a timeout I have Windows Vista and one of the tech support people mentioned that Windows Vista sometimes has problems connecting with handshake devices but he didn t know how to fix it Another person said I should have about seconds to type in my password Solved: Laptop will not connect to T-Mobile hotspot via wifi so it shouldn t be timing out so quickly Is it something with my computer I have a Compaq Presario CQ I had this same problem when I tried to connect to a friend s hotspot a couple weeks ago I don t remember if it was also T-Mobile or another provider though Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 99.33%

1st. I have a desktop and nearby there is wireless internet WiFi hotspot. Please I would like to know how can I connect it to the wireless internet WiFi? I am thinking of buying this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/802-11n-150mbps-wifi-wlan-wireless-network-usb-adapter-53538

Apart from that adapter do I need something else?

2nd. Where the desktop is, I have no reception. I mean because my cellphone has no reception when it is in the same place where the desktop is. But when I put my cellphone in the window around 12 feet away, there is reception. So I am wondering if I can make a 12 feet long USB cable from the desktop to the window and with the Wifi/WLAN Wireless Network USB Adapter in the window.

Any suggestions and help?

Thanks

Relevancy 99.33%

Running Win -bit -Running two routers st router is ISP facing which is connects via wireless bridge to a second Linksys WRT don't connect - setting cannot hoc hotspot ad wifi Trouble internet up to remember exact model atm to extend range in my house Either way I get the same problem when connecting host machine to either router When I am connected to downstream nd router via wireless bridge my default gateway points to the first router I think under normal conditions the first router acts as DHCP server second one disabled Basically I want to set up host machine as ad hoc wifi hotspot via Windows wizard I set up the virtual wifi hotspot and it seems to work followed these instructions How To Turn Your Windows Laptop Into a WiFi Hotspot I then Trouble setting up wifi ad hoc hotspot - cannot connect to internet try to connect with the client machines to newly created ad hoc wifi hotspot by selecting wireless network and entering password and the process fails saying DHCP lookup failed I open cmd exe and run quot arp -a quot and see that APIPA addressing is active in lieu of dynamic IP address and that the client machine does have an APIPA address yet I cannot access internet Is it a DNS issue I notice that when I run ipconfig all on host Trouble setting up wifi ad hoc hotspot - cannot connect to internet machine it shows DNS servers as hexademical values MAC addresses I was under the impression that in the absence of DHCP which the host machine cannot serve to client APIPA will kick in thus giving address to host machine But it seems like I can't get onto internet with this machine I mean how does the client access DNS tables when it is in APIPA mode Does it have to do with my wireless bridge dual router set up upstream or some DNS issue at the ad hoc wifi hotspot host machine level I realize that setting a static IP on the client machine is an option but I'd rather get DHCP APIPA working instead Another point The ad hoc set up works when I run a program called Connectify Hotspot and when host machine is connected to either router but not when I use Windows' built in function I'd appreciate any insight Thank you

A:Trouble setting up wifi ad hoc hotspot - cannot connect to internet

APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing - 169.254.0.0) means you couldn't discover any DHCP servers. I don't have much experience in wireless routing but if in bridge mode I guess router 2 was supposed to be somewhat transparent. Normally (shouldn't be the case while bridged) DHCP protocol can't be routed, would need a DHCP proxy set up at the 2nd network segment.

Hmm, to not complicate things, can your host machine connect to the wireless network (normal private IP address)? And if so, to the Internet?

When connected to the 2nd router, in cmd (copy paste):

Code:
ipconfig -all | clip
It won't show anything but copy info to clipboard automatically, paste here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/374978-trouble-setting-up-wifi-ad-hoc-hotspot-cannot-connect-internet.html
Relevancy 99.33%

My new Lenovo Yoga Laptop connect Wifi hotspot 10 - Xfinity Can't to Win Lenovo Pro Laptop has Windows pre-installed on there I m able to connect to regular wifi connections like my home network but it will not connect to Xfinity WiFi hotspots I ll see the Xfinity hotspot available but with a little exclamation point shield symbol next to it I ll click on quot Connect Lenovo Laptop Win 10 - Can't connect to Xfinity Wifi hotspot quot and it will think for a few seconds then say quot Can t connect to this network quot It doesn t send me to the webrowser log-in it doesn t say quot limited connectivity quot or anything else that I m used to dealing with I ve tried opening up a generic web browser to try to initiate the username and password sign in page and nothing happens I ve cleared my cache restarted my laptop removed known networks added them called both Xfinity and Lenovo and both say it s the other s fault The conclusion I ve come to is either somehow my wireless network adapter is not configured correctly to allow this hotspot to work or somehow my antivirus firewall is blocking it but I ve disabled my McAfee firewall and this still doesn t work Is there a different wireless network adapter or driver or something that I should install Is there a configuration I should set Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lenovo-laptop-win-10-cant-connect-to-xfinity-wifi-hotspot.1164103/
Relevancy 99.33%

I cant connect my ps4 to the hotspot on a lumia 640 phone that is running windows 10 and everytime i try both systems want to either freeze or go haywire.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/436575-how-do-i-connect-my-ps4-my-lumia-640-windows-10-phone-using-wifi-hotspot.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hey guys So what i'm trying to do is create a hotspot computer wifi built-in with Wifi card. Creating wifi hotspot using my computer In other words turning my computer into a router I'm wanting to do this so i can use my ipod at home instead of only when i'm around other wifi hotspots My computer Creating Wifi hotspot with built-in computer wifi card. is running off of a wired router so that i can play online on my PS as well I was told wifi doesn't work well with Ps 's normally so i just bought a wired router So the mainline internet cord is plugged into a wired router and then another line runs into my computer For some reason after i make an adhoc connection the computer is not sending the required information to the iPod so that it connects to the internet I've tried entering in the information into the Static tab in my ipod as well and still only get Local Connection instead of Local and Internet This is what my connection looks like through the router using ipconfig all Code Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Kyle gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Crommy Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled Yes WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List twinvalley net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - F- A- -BA-C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix twinvalley net Description Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - B- -F -D - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b f aed f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday December Cromwel l Lease Expires Tuesday December Cromwe ll Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - F- D- - A- - B- -F -D - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix twinvalley net Description isatap twinvalley net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B C D -A E - DF -BEA -BC Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e f f fe b Prefer red Link-local IPv Address fe f f fe b Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes now when i look at other people's ipconfig all they do not have any of theese quot tunnel adapters quot as i have not sure if that has anything to do with it or not thanks for any and all tips

A:Creating Wifi hotspot with built-in computer wifi card.

Hi Cromsy,

Welcome to Vista Forums!

Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as that. You are connected to the router fine with your computer, but that tells us nothing about the ipod because wireless is off (but that's not the whole story either - you need something extra to do what you want). The following article should tell you what you need and how to do it: How to Connect iPod Touch to Windows 7 Ad-hoc Wireless Network. Although it says Windows 7, there are procedures for Vista as well (and the software will work with Vista).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/286359-creating-wifi-hotspot-built-computer-wifi-card.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I am currently stationed in Germany, and live in a village that has horrible internet. I cannot stream netflix, hulu, and downloads take several hours.

Is there a way to combine the internet that my cell phone receives and the wifi router I have at home to increase speed?

I have the ability to create a wifi hotspot from my cell phone if this helps.

Just something I thought up in my head, and wanted to find out if it is possible. Thanks in advance.

A:Combining Wifi Hotspot and Router Wifi for faster internet

You can, try this http://www.octopusplus.com/download.jsp or http://www.connectify.me/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/combining-wifi-hotspot-and-router-wifi-for-faster-internet.1099511/
Relevancy 98.9%

Acer Apspire 5315-2077 Laptop
2 GB Ram
Windows 7 Professional edition 32 bit
Intel Celeron CPU

I just did a clean install of windows 7 on my laptop. And last week was the first time I took it to work since I had installed it. I usually use the public wifi at my job to connect my laptop to the internet. But now it won't work. When I set up the connection manually, it sets it up but doesnt show up on the available networks. Then when I go into the network and sharing center, it shows that its connected, but its not connecting. So what can the problem be?

Relevancy 98.9%

Ever since I got internet home service with Charter, I have been unable to connect to public hotspots. or rather I can connect for about 15 sec, and then my computer automatically disconnects. This never happened when I had home service with Verizon. Is there a setting that needs to be changed on my HP?

A:unable to connect to public wifi

Do you actually get connected and are able to see a web page at a public hotspot? Have you made SURE your firewall is properly configured to allow you to connect to the hotspot? Perhaps you've restricted the connection to a specific IP address subnet?
Let's see this when you're at home, and again when you try to connect to a public hotspot.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-connect-to-public-wifi.864330/
Relevancy 98.9%

So i've connect to my home wifi and for whatever reason windows 10 didnt ask me like 7 if its home, work or public its just automatically put my home wifi as public any way to change this or a setting that i am missing.

A:connecting to home wifi but set as public??

Turn on network discovery and you'll be asked to convert from public to private.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/11511-connecting-home-wifi-but-set-public.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Apologies if I get some of the technical jargon wrong but I pretty useless when it comes to IT issues.

I have a Satellite Pro A200 and had problems connecting to various wifi connections.
The computer would see the wifi connection and connect to it but i wasn't able to connect to the internet.

The office issue has now been sorted by our IT support guy (security settings on the new router we too complex for my PC or something like that) but he wasn't able to solve the problem of not being able to connect to my iphone to use the 'hotspot' feature via wifi.

Does anyone know a way of solving this or is it a simple fact of the laptop being too old and really needs updating?

Thanks for any assistance anyone is able to give.

A:Satellite Pro A200 failing to connect with iphone hotspot via wifi

> Does anyone know a way of solving this or is it a simple fact of the laptop being too old and really needs updating?

This is not a question of notebook age?
As far as I know not all mobile phone providers support this?
You should firstly ask your mobile provider if you can use the tethering function.

If this would be supported my mobile provider, then you have to connect the iphone to the notebook firstly
For that you?ve got two options: you could use the BT connection (in such case check if notebook supports BT too) or via USB cable provided with the iPhone.

(PS: As far as I know tethering is support by iOS3.0 and higher?)

After the iphone has been connected to the notebook you need to enable the tethering on iphone.
Under Settings -> Network you should see the option internet tethering? this need to be enabled.
Now you should be able to see that in Network & sharing Center of the control panel.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?67381-Satellite-Pro-A200-failing-to-connect-with-iphone-hotspot-via-wifi
Relevancy 98.04%

I purchased a new ASUS laptop a couple of days ago and have been trying to use the hotel wifi where I am staying to do the various updates and installs that new computers require. Unfortunately, while I can connect to my tethered cell phone, I cannot connect to the hotel.

I have another computer on hand that has no difficulties connecting to the hotel wifi, so I know the problem is in the new computer somewhere.

Network adapter is a Broadcom 802.11ac

Actions so far:

Updated Windows 8.1 to current
Attempted to reinstall drivers (uninstalling first) - Drivers are up to date and identical to the ones on manufacturer's site.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

A:New computer - unable to connect to public wifi

The problem is not with the computer or Windows 8.

There are many routers that are not compatible with the new 802.11ac standard. It's unlikely that a hotel will update the firmware on the router for you which may help but in many cases a new ac router will be required.

Try using another n type adaptor, USB perhaps.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/47905-new-computer-unable-connect-public-wifi.html
Relevancy 98.04%

i have a acer laptop running windows 7 ultimate. I am unable to connect to public WiFi hotspots. But i m able to connetc to ad hocs and my mobile WiFi hotspot. Please recommend a solution

A:Unable to connect to public WiFi networks

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\SLN>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SLN-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Spotflux Network Device Driver
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-95-DB-43-E2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-FB-4A-B4-66
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9010:eaf2:ae86:74ae%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.239(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 26 September 2012 21:43:08
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 26 September 2012 22:43:08
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889979
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-00-87-CA-00-1F-16-9E-5C-76

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Con
troller (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-16-9E-5C-76

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #8
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:10cd:3954:8a19:3dfa(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10cd:3954:8a19:3dfa%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Reusable Microsoft 6To4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #3

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-connect-to-public-wifi-networks.1070455/
Relevancy 98.04%

Hi guys I had a look around and tried different solutions proposed but so far nothing solved I also searched on this forum but still Wifi, connect windows 10 public to to Unable nothing useful found If I missed the right topic I'm sorry I'll provide to erase this asap My problem is that I'm not able to access internet in every public free wifi connection that requires no password No problem at all when I access to a protect wifi everything runs as is supposed to be But when I try to connect to open wifi I have no internet connection So yes I can see Unable to connect to public Wifi, windows 10 the name of the public wifi connect to it but still have no internet while people around me have no problem it says no interne open It doesn't even appear the pop up page to accept the conditions I've tried disable the firewall the antivirus and many extensions that I thought could interfere with it as AdBlock I have other extension as WOT Lastpass ProxFlow and Mailtrack But on Chrome so I thought there should be no problem for Internet Eplorer Thanks in advance and let me know if i should tell sometime more about my pc please try not to be too technic I use my laptop a lot but I'm no expert

A:Unable to connect to public Wifi, windows 10

Try to Reset your WiFi : Settings>Network & Internet>Network Reset. You will lose all the Passwords and Config. Windows will reboot ,but it waits 5 min. to do it.
Try to Reset Firewall: Control Panel>Firewall>Restore Defaults . There is also an Option "Troubleshoot my Network"
Try the Troubleshooter: Control Panel>Troubleshooting>View All>Internet Connection

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/66670-unable-connect-public-wifi-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 96.32%

So, there are many articles out there that will show you how to use cmd prompt to create a wifi hotspot (eg: this article Internet Connection Sharing - Create WiFi HotSpot)

However, is there anyway to do this with TWO separate wifi adapters? That is, use one adapter to connect to your router and the other to act as the router? Some articles seem to indicate this is the ideal setup but no one seems to specify how to control which wifi adapter is used to create the wifi hostpot in command prompt.

Thanks for any help.

If I can get the basics to work, the next step is to try to integrate a VPN so that I can basically use my PC as a VPN router (but with no physical ethernet connection).

A:Creating Wifi hotspot using SECOND wifi adapter

It is no different than bridging an Ethernet and Wifi adapter.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/69140-creating-wifi-hotspot-using-second-wifi-adapter.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi there,

Need some pretty quick help here if possible! I have a USB external wifi antenna, and my laptop has an internal one. My aim is to basically receive internet through the external one and great a little hotspot by the internal one. I was wondering if this was possible?

I'd tried with Ad-hoc networks but for some reason other devices couldn't connect to the network I created. I'm just wondering what I could've done wrong!

Anyways, I hope this makes sense! If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated! I will award all help with rep !

All the best,

Music Guy

A:USB wifi to internal wifi hotspot...how to? Is it possible?

Quote: Originally Posted by Music Guy123

Hi there,

Need some pretty quick help here if possible! I have a USB external wifi antenna, and my laptop has an internal one. My aim is to basically receive internet through the external one and great a little hotspot by the internal one. I was wondering if this was possible?

I'd tried with Ad-hoc networks but for some reason other devices couldn't connect to the network I created. I'm just wondering what I could've done wrong!

Anyways, I hope this makes sense! If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated! I will award all help with rep !

All the best,

Music Guy

Ok, you only require one wireless NIC in order to create a hosted wireless network, you can receive and send the wireless through a single NIC. You can use either one for this but you don't need both.

You can use the command prompt to set this up but using the connectify software might be a better choice if you want to connect on start up. You can also do this with a virtual router, take your pick.

Connectify For Windows 8

This one shows the manual set up using the command prompt.

http://winsupersite.com/article/faqt...ion-wirelessly

Or you can install a virtual router.

Virtual Router - Wifi Hot Spot for Windows 7 / 2008 R2 - Home

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/277514-usb-wifi-internal-wifi-hotspot-how-possible.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Well after trying everything I can think of I figured I d give this a try Hopefully someone can show me what I m missing I m using a Toshiba u - with WinXP Pro I ve tried various software firewalls including Mcafee Zonealarm Sunbelt KPF and Comodo Presently all are unistalled The problem is that I can t connect to what seems a certain router IP - x At first I thought it hotspot Can't connect to public was just one hotspot I was having trouble with but I Can't connect to public hotspot ve noticed it on another public router with the same IP The computer shows me being connected however I can t surf I can Can't connect to public hotspot connect to the hotspots with my Pocket PC and surf but nothing with the laptop I ve tried installing the exact Can't connect to public hotspot same IP gateway and even DNSs manually but still nothing I ve tried pinging the router IP but still nothing - loss If I go to Network Connections gt right-click my wirless connection gt Status gt Support tab I show I m connected with an IP in the x range What am I missing nbsp

Relevancy 87.29%
A:yo I cant connect to my home wifi help please

There can be several reasons for the issue. You can refer to the following link for troubleshooting options depending upon the operating system you are using:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-... Hope this will help you.

http://community.acer.com/t5/XP-Vista-or-earlier/yo-I-cant-connect-to-my-home-wifi-help-please/td-p/339023/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 87.29%

My pc connects to the wifi but keeps diconnecting after a few seconds.The wifi is working just fine with all other devices, and my pc only has this problem with my home network.It's been like this for a while some days it'll stay connected without any problems and some days it just won't connect.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/PC-won-t-connect-to-home-Wifi/td-p/5716580
Relevancy 87.29%

Hey there!
I have a toshiba portege and I am unable to connect to my wireless network at home. All my roommates can and two days ago I could! I haven't changed anything and none of my roommates or landlord has done anything. When I try to "diagnose" the problem I get the notice that there is a problem with the adapter. I have tried disabling everything and restarting it. The wireless switch is on. The security info is all correct and we have tried the restarting of the router.
Any ideas?
Cheers!

Relevancy 87.29%
A:yo I cant connect to my home wifi help please

There can be several reasons for the issue. You can refer to the following link for troubleshooting options depending upon the operating system you are using:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-... Hope this will help you.

http://community.acer.com/t5/XP-Vista-or-earlier/yo-I-cant-connect-to-my-home-wifi-help-please/td-p/339023
Relevancy 87.29%

I have had this laptop for over 4 months and had no problem with the home  wifi.  Last few days ago, I could not connect to wifi anymore even though my phones and tablet are still able to connect the wifi.  I looked around to find the switch that my old laptop had, but could not find it.  Is there anyway I can fix it by myself?  Can you please help!  Thanks so much in advance!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Can-t-Connect-to-Home-Wifi/td-p/5597328
Relevancy 87.29%

Since I bought this new pc I've been trying to connect to the internet but I couldn't. I have a personal wireless network to which i can connect with other devices but this new machine just can't. In the first place it can't even connect to it (sometimes it doesn't even see it) and when it can i can't seem to be able to surf the web without problems (really slow). this new pc has a ipv6 while my laptop is a ipv4, maybe there's some kind of conflict with the router? I can show you the ipconfig/all if it can be of some help. thanks

Relevancy 87.29%

Last night and for as long as I've had my laptop the wig has worked fine. I turned it on this morning and it won't connect to wifi and I desperately need it. I've done a troubleshoot and it says a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken. I don't plug anything in so I assume it's broken but don't know how to fix this? Also, there's a crack in the back of my laptop and I'm not sure if this has something to do with it has it may be pulling internal components out but I'm not sure. Please help fast as this is urgent, thanks

A:Can't connect to home wifi?

did you try updating the wifi card driver

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Can-t-connect-to-home-wifi/td-p/5817583
Relevancy 87.29%

My laptop will not connect to the new home wifi for some reason. I have never connected to this wifi before. When I put in the current wifi password which we made ourselves it says it is incorrect. However when I put in the original password that came with the router it just says it "can't connect". I don't know if that means anything, but the main issue is that the laptop will not connect to the wifi when all of my other devices had no issue.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Can-t-connect-to-home-wifi/td-p/5732416
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi I am having trouble connecting to the internet while in public places such as a coffeehouse At home in hotels and at the airport I have not run into any problems However recently in three different locations I have attempted to get online using the available public wifi at coffeehouses In each case I was able to connect to the network however I was unable to connect to the internet When I opened the quot Network and Sharing Center quot the first icon was a computer and was labeled quot owner PC quot the second icon was another computer and was labled Primary Using "Cannnot Connect Public DNS" WiFi: to quot identifying quot and there was a red x on the line that would connect me last icon an image of the world which was labled as quot internet quot In Using Public WiFi: "Cannnot Connect to Primary DNS" addition my access was listed as quot local access quot When I tried to resolve the issue I got the dreaded quot cannot connect to primary DNS quot message I spent an hour and a half testing recommendations from this site and others to no avail I also changed my LAN settings to automatically detect One thing that I did notice is that when I connected to the network at each location none of them gave me the option to designate the location as home work or public Any ideas on what may be causing me trouble and what I can do to mitigate I did look at my McAfee settings but did not want to expose myself too much Thanks Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Compal F CND K Antivirus McAfee VirusScan Updated and Enabled nbsp

A:Using Public WiFi: "Cannnot Connect to Primary DNS"

Try using Google Public DNS.

Or, OpenDNS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-public-wifi-cannnot-connect-to-primary-dns.961101/
Relevancy 86.43%

I have a desktop that is able to have wifi it's a adapter dell 1450 UBS Wireless 802.11a/b/g it works so does the router which is a Cisco Linsky E 1000 it shows um that it works I'm getting packet but I just can't seem to connect I don't understand it says that I am connected but I cannot get on the internet what am I doing wrong please help my desktop is compaq hp with wireless capability help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-make-my-android-with-wifi-3g-connect-my-desktop-router-and-wifi-adapter.1085239/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello fellas i need to connect my dumb Xbox to connect to to modem--->not Solved: live!!! wifi able laptop+wifi xbox360+USB live for it does not play any movies and asks to connect to live that i am unable to do OKey here is the plit- gt i have a usb modem that i connect into my laptop wihch has wifi n all that now i create an adhoc n w first on lapi--the xbox detects and connects but still test connection fails the xbox is unable to connect to the adhoc n w second i Solved: wifi laptop+wifi xbox360+USB modem--->not able to connect to live!!! tried creating a adhoc n w on my xbox-- gt lapi connects to that n w but still the test conncetion fails on the xbox I have checked quot Allow users to use this n w quot for my USB modem connection which i use to connect to Solved: wifi laptop+wifi xbox360+USB modem--->not able to connect to live!!! the internet In Properties-- gt Sharing But here it asks to select the n w connection out of options Wireless conn Wireless conn Local Area Conn Sometimes it shows only Wileless Conn and LAN i tried every possible combination of all these settings but nothing is working The internet on my laptop works fine I am using Win Home Premium I just need to connect my Xbox to my laptop wirelessely and use the internet connection my laptop is using i tried some manual settings of ip subnet n dns server on my xbox n lapi in this case the xbox connects to the network while connection test but does not connects to laptop HELP guys nbsp

A:Solved: wifi laptop+wifi xbox360+USB modem--->not able to connect to live!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wifi-laptop-wifi-xbox360-usb-modem-not-able-to-connect-to-live.1032051/
Relevancy 86.43%

I have a Cisco Lynksis Router Model WRT120N - which is connect wirelessly to my MAC home computer. I also have a Dell D630 Laptop using WindowsXP. I have recently moved and my laptop used to connect to my wireless router (when I was at my old house) But now at my new house my laptop wont connect. It will connect wirelessly at other locations. The laptop picks up the wireless name and shows full strength. I have trouble shot a little. Help Please!

A:Unable to connect to wifi at home

Do you have service pack 3?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-connect-to-wifi-at-home.1070180/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi guys,
I got this Windows 8 laptop some 2 months ago, everything was perfect until today.
I just cannot connect to my home wifi network.

Extra info:
- wifi light is on on laptop.
- can see other wifi network connections from neighborhood, but not my home one.
- when I manually type name of home network it says "network already installed", but still won't let it appear.
- iPhone and iPad don't have problems connecting to wifi network.
- iPhone, iPad and said PC all connected on same network for weeks in same room, never a conflict issue.

Couldn't sort it...please let me know if you have a trick.
Much appreciated.
Thank you.

A:Windows 8 can't connect to home wifi

First try powering your PC off and on. If that does not help, reboot your router and/or data modem (power them off & on). I have had my router stop working with one device while still working fine with others, a reboot fixed it.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/40519-windows-8-cant-connect-home-wifi.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I have a year old Asus laptop that has been great through out the years My son installed Skype and now it doesn't connect to the wireless network in my house on boot up I have uninstalled Skype but the problem still persists I have to run the trouble shooter and applied the Automatically Connect WiFi Can't Home To fix Can't Automatically Connect To Home WiFi it suggests The problem found is Wireless capability is turned off Applying this fix works every time until the machine is put to sleep or powered down then it has to be done all Can't Automatically Connect To Home WiFi over again Curiously when I press Fn F I can disconnect from the wireless network but when I press it again it does nothing I have to run the trouble shooter to connect again I have updated all my drivers directly from Intel and have made sure that the correct services and their depencies are all started Nothing seems to work Another Problem Found that the Trouble Shooter detects is A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken I have tried to fix this problem but have not been successful As far as I can tell the cables are fine I don't know if the two problems are related I would think so Any suggestions on how to automatically connect to my wireless network without having to run the trouble shooter would be great Thanks

A:Can't Automatically Connect To Home WiFi

Another Problem Found that the Trouble Shooter detects is, "A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken."
The above problem just means you don't have the Ethernet cable plugged in. If you do have the Ethernet plugged in, then you have a problem though!

For the above problem and the wireless issue I would do a System Restore to before Skype was installed, and see if that fixes it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543232/cant-automatically-connect-to-home-wifi/
Relevancy 86.43%

My laptop will not connect to my home wifi. I've tried resetting the router, uninstalling and reinstalling the wifi driver, and pretty much everything else that i could find to try. i don't know what else to try. Can someone please help? Thank you

A:My HP laptop will not connect to my home wifi

What kind of messages are you getting? What are you observing when you try to connect? Have you tried taking your laptop to Starbucks or something and see if it can connect to any other wireless network? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/My-HP-laptop-will-not-connect-to-my-home-wifi/td-p/5668165
Relevancy 86.43%

My laptop suddenly became unable to connect to my home wifi. When I try, it tries to connect for a few seconds and then i get the message "can't connect to this network". until this happened i connected to it without problems. other laptops (housemates) can still connect to it as always without problems. my laptop can still, as, always, connect without problems to all other wifis. I've tried updating windows, then restoring, i upgraded to windows 8.1, i tried changing the security settings, rebooting the wifi, all the troubleshooting i could find on my computer. any ideas? is it more likely to be a problem with the wifi or with my laptop?

A:windows 8.1 can't connect to home wifi

in windows 8
forget the wireless network
so that you reconnect and have to re-enter the password
if still a problem

turn the router off for 5 mins and backon again - try again
if still a problem

try removing the password from the router and see if it will then connect
if it does then put the password backon

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-8-1-cant-connect-to-home-wifi.1146421/
Relevancy 86.43%

***I have no problem connecting to my WiFi at home and other hotspots, but when i go to work, which is at a hotel with and unsecured wireless network, it tells me I cannot connect due to an unknown reason. Please help***

A:Connect to WiFi at home, but not at Work

At home and at work (identify the work network if it is not obvious) ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

IPCONFIG /ALL

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connect-to-wifi-at-home-but-not-at-work.977732/
Relevancy 86.43%

I can't connect connect to my home wireless network. It says I am connected but none of my browsers will load anything.
I can connect to other wireless networks that i have access to.
I can connect if i plug into the router directly
All of the other computers in my house connect just fine.
Any thoughts

A:Can't connect to Wifi on home network but everyone else can

I think its a security issue.
1) Check the password you put in and make sure its written correctly with the right case (lowercase/uppercase).
2) Disable any 3G/4G connections if you have any.

If that doesn't work giive me more information about your network:
1) General network layout (two computers, one laptop/one desktop, w/dsl modem to a residential gateway, etc)
2) Also, tell me what security mechanism you have on your wireless access point (WEP, WPA, WPA2). If you're using CCMP/AES and you have an older computer then you may not be able to use them together.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-to-wifi-on-home-network-but-everyone-else-can.1019073/
Relevancy 86.43%

I have an XP laptop that I use only when traveling - last time was in February, so not very often. I will be on the road this week and am testing out the laptop today. It is showing 1394 connection 2 as connected but not displaying any web pages. I had a similar problem in february and the hotel wifi tech support was able to figure it out. I tried their fix and it's still not working. I appreciate any help.

Thank you

A:Laptop won't connect to home wifi

Are you only seeing 1394 Connection listed in your Network Connection list?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-wont-connect-to-home-wifi.1124048/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello

I have recently up-graded my laptop from 8 to 8.1. Since that time, the laptop will not automatically connect to my home wifi. If I try to connect manually, it will say "unable to connect to network" and that's it, no more clues! The only way I can connect is by selecting 'restart' and then it will re-boot and connect automatically. If I 'shut-down' after use (or hibernate) it will not re-connect until I have selected 're-start' which is time consuming and annoying!

Any ideas? Thanks

A:Will not connect to home wifi since 8.1 upgrade

We will need your system specs in order to help you.

This is most likely a driver problem but we need more info in order to find the correct driver.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/35834-will-not-connect-home-wifi-since-8-1-upgrade.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi I need to please ask that you be patient with me as I have an extremely limited knowledge of computers or laptops so I am actually struggling to even word this question correctly I have an HP G laptop with Windows XP I Cannot WiFi home XP to laptop connect had WiFi installed at my university digs and I believe I am the main laptop through which the internet connection runs My parents have recently had a WiFi Netgear router installed on their home computer but I am unable to connect to the internet through my laptop i was told that as my laptop IP address was set to my university WiFi connection all i had to do was reset my laptop s IP address and I would be able to connect to my parents WiFi However I am Cannot connect XP laptop to home WiFi really unsure of how to do this Cannot connect XP laptop to home WiFi and am also concerned that if I do so I will be unable to connect my Uni WiFi once I return Or even if this in indeed the Cannot connect XP laptop to home WiFi problem Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:Cannot connect XP laptop to home WiFi

welcome to tsg

would you do the following
------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-xp-laptop-to-home-wifi.945449/
Relevancy 86.43%

I ve read through hundreds of posts trying to figure out my issue Unfortunately I ve been unsuccessful Here s the at WiFi office home Company Connects not but at WiFi Solved: Secure to Laptop issue I was given a new laptop for work and it connects fine to our secure wireless network at the office but when I brought it home it will not connect to my wireless network at home When I try to connect to my network at home the wireless manager sits and spins saying quot trying to acquire network address quot I have iPhones eMachine and Macbook connected to my network working fine and dandy However the HP laptop from work simply won t connect unless wired I have tried the following Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver Power Solved: Company Laptop Connects to Secure WiFi at office but not WiFi at home Cycled my Router Power Cycled my entire network WinsockXPFix tool I m completely at a loss here No idea what to do to fix this I m running Windows XP and have a Wire router I appreciate any advice anyone can give me to help solve this annoyance nbsp

A:Solved: Company Laptop Connects to Secure WiFi at office but not WiFi at home

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-company-laptop-connects-to-secure-wifi-at-office-but-not-wifi-at-home.848389/
Relevancy 86%

Hi All,

I am new to this forum..few day agai got to know that I can make my Windows 7 Laptop a HotSpot via Virtual WiFi...so I tried to make my laptop hotspot and the same can be detected from my iPhone also...i can connect connect iPhone to my laptop...but i cant access any internet..
i have also tried putting off my firewall but with no use....
can somebody help me out with the same?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-iphone-via-wifi-from-windows-7-virtual-wifi-laptop.971585/
Relevancy 86%

hello.

i have cable internet that is connected to a belkin wireless router. one computer gets slow internet access when connected to this. multiple other computers get better speed. the one affected computer gets fast speeds when accessing the internet at other locations, like a friend's house. also, the affected computer gets fast speeds when connected to the router by a cable.

so the problem seems to be very specific to the connection between these specific devices.

the laptop in question is a thinkpad e420 running windows 7.

thank you in advance for any solutions or suggestions you might have.

A:Solved: slow net with 1 computer and home wifi, but not other computers or other wifi

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slow-net-with-1-computer-and-home-wifi-but-not-other-computers-or-other-wifi.1085104/
Relevancy 85.57%

Just bought new Spectre Notebook, tried to connect to home wifi, entered security code (it's my 10-digit phone number) and it won't connect, says, "Can't connect to this network." I'm typing this now on the old computer connected to the network. Tried everything suggested, including reinstalling the driver, restarting computer, etc.

A:New HP Spectre Notebook can't connect to home wifi

Paid $1000 for the computer and it doesn't connect to internet!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/New-HP-Spectre-Notebook-can-t-connect-to-home-wifi/td-p/5777795
Relevancy 85.57%

My laptop is not connecting to a broadband or a home wifiwifi and my mobile and other devices are connected from this wifi and when i turn on my mobile hotspot then it will easily connected to this. What should i do to connect my laptop from this hidden network.Piyush

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/My-laptop-can-t-connect-to-a-home-wifi-and-my-mobile-and/td-p/5641547
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi all I have a home network set up sharing the broadband connection successfully throughout the house via a Linksys broadband router We have four laptops and two desk based machines and each can connect to the internet without issue On one of the desk based PCs I have a Laserjet HL D connected and shared The PC it is connected to runs XP Home SP edition I can connect and print to this printer from all machines except my wife s new Sony Vaio laptop When I try to add a network printer and browse the windows network it simply doesn t find it at all Whereas I am on my dell 1 printer PC on cannot home out connect to wifi network 4 of my laptop and can search and locate the printer without issue The Sony Vaio can connect to the net without issue is only a few months old and is running running XP Home SP my Dell is running XP Pro SP Is there anything I might be missing here that an expert could advise on please Thanks 1 PC out of 4 cannot connect to printer on my wifi home network all nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

I have several different computers that connect to my home wifi connection through my router and they are either Windows Vista or Windows XP. This is the only Windows 7 I think or maybe not, I have a new little mini that has Windows 7 I think, however, I am not able to get this computer to connect. I have unplugged the modem, unplugged the router, restarted my computer, checked my wifi connection and no matter what I do it will not connect. Help.

A:[SOLVED] My Vaio won't connect to my home wifi

How does this work? Is anyone there? Is anyone going to answer me? Please

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-my-vaio-wont-connect-to-my-home-wifi-640713.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hey,

I have an Acer Aspire that shows my home network and at full strength, but won't connect. It will however connect to other wifi, as well as my iPhone hotspot. Other devises in the house will also connect to the router, so the problem doesn't seem to be there. I was told that my settings are probably off and that I needed to create a new home ip address. Tried doing the ipconfig/release and then renew, but that doesn't work if I can't connect to that IP address. How can I get it to recognize the IP address?

Thanks
Lyn

Relevancy 85.57%

So basically got New can school at to connect laptop, wifi can't but at home my school laptop yesterady the internet worked fine at school but when I came home it wouldn't work When I came to school again today it worked when I came home again it wouldn't The internet connection showed that it was connected but I don't got internet acess Some restarts I have internet pretty slow just on the beginning sometimes pages just loads forever or very long without connecting and sometimes it just loads a little bit and says network error I've been working with trying to fix it all day yesterday and like one hour today and now I just want to get it done so I came here to make a thread My network is fine with the computers telephones in my house so it's not the router I've tried to use the windows network error checking tool it just says that the strandard gateway isn't available which is not getting automatically resolved and it identifies a problem aswell that the connection between the router and internet has disconnected I have tried to Restarted Changing battery network card settings to high priority New laptop, can't connect to wifi at home but can at school Disconnecting reconnecting Re-typing wifi password Deactivating ipv Using a DNS Few CMD commands Changing an option called quot dulex rulex someting quot or something that tells how much mb s you should receive or something like that from router to automatically New laptop, can't connect to wifi at home but can at school detect to mb s didn't make any difference either and more windows enterprise edition i gb ram gb HDD etc everything new None of my other friends at school got this issue I asked the computer guy but he's stupid he asked New laptop, can't connect to wifi at home but can at school me like times if I had the right wifi password etc Help

A:New laptop, can't connect to wifi at home but can at school

This is quite simple - The School is using a proxy within Internet Explorer. You must have admin rights for this to work.

On Internet Explorer, - Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings - Untick the bottom box (Proxy)

Close and re-open IE, everything should be working.

Make sure you make a note as you will need to re-tick the box when you're next at school.

Regards,

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/303634-new-laptop-cant-connect-wifi-home-but-can-school.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hey guys,

I've got a Dell work laptop. It has McAfee Safeboot and other work related security things. I don't have many "privileges" on the machine. It connects to my work wifi network just fine (automatically) but I can't get it to connect to any wifi networks outside of work. If go to network settings and look at the wireless adapter and view available wifi networks, nothing comes up. It looks like the laptop has an alternative program that controls network adapter (Dell network adapter program) but it won't open when I double click it.

Any thoughts on where to start? What more info would you like?

-eamon

A:Connect work laptop to home wifi

Have a talk with your work IT department and see if they can check it out for you. Then I would make sure that all the drivers are updated, not through MS but through each vendors website, especially the network adapter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/177144-connect-work-laptop-home-wifi.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello, I am having troubles connecting my laptop to my wireless router. Currently, I am hardwired to my internet (totally defeating the purpose of having a laptop...). My computer sees the network, but when I try to connect it, it says "UNABLE TO CONNECT", yet I can connect to other networks... All the other computers in the house along with game consoles connected just fine once I put in our password. My patience is running low on this issue. Please help!

A:Computer REFUSES to connect to home wifi.

Were you able to connect before that?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-refuses-to-connect-to-home-wifi.1068838/
Relevancy 85.57%

At Best Buy they said that there's nothing wrong with my laptop I'm past the return policy and only have manufactures warranty It works on other wifi Also other devices connect to the home wifi just fine My laptop used to work on the wifi Something popped up saying there's a problem and Windows can automatically fix it so I let it Ever since when I try to connect it'll say connecting is taking longer than usual And then it says can't connect to network The Internet at my house is HughesNet and the router is Belkin but what my my a... connect wifi to home Laptop Acer won't Why I don't get is why my laptop Why won't my Acer Laptop connect to my home wifi a... connected to the wifi just fine before but Why won't my Acer Laptop connect to my home wifi a... now it doesn't I rebooted it before I went to Best Buy but that didn't fix the problem But like I said they said that my laptop has no problem They said that it might be the Internet Service Provider or the wireless router Every other device connects just fine still And my laptop connects to other wifi still I'm at a loss here

A:Why won't my Acer Laptop connect to my home wifi a...

Check in Device Manager that the WIFI driver is there and doesn't have a yellow question mark by it.Even though other devices connect, unplug your router for a minute and plug back in, start the laptop.Find your laptop here:http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and check for a newer driver.Download whatever driver is there, uninstall the driver in Programs and Features and Device Manager, checking delete software and reboot.Install the new driver. 

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Why-won-t-my-Acer-Laptop-connect-to-my-home-wifi-anymore/td-p/335998
Relevancy 85.57%

I've been having a weird problem. I had a TP-Link WR841N router which I replaced with a D-Link DIR-615 today. Before the replacement all my laptops, home desktop and my tablet would connect just fine. After the switch, all machines except the tablet connect to the Internet. My tablet shows that its connected to the router but I cannot access the router admin pages or the Internet. Any idea what could be happening here? All settings on the DIR-615 are the same as the TP-Link one.

A:Solved: Can't get my tablet to connect to my home wifi

Assuming everything is running some version of Windows, please post the IPCONFIG /ALL command line results for one computer that has a working connection and for the tablet that is having the problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-get-my-tablet-to-connect-to-my-home-wifi.1079334/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi,

I have windows 7 x64 service pack 1 on my acer aspire E1-510. Until yesterday everything was normal but now my home wifi doesn't show up on the list of available networks on laptop but I can see other networks from my neighborhood. However my home wifi shows up on other devices and I can connect to it.

I have tried going in the safe mode but no luck. Still won't show up.

Don't know what to do. Please help.

A:Can't connect to my home wifi, but other networks show up

I would try going back 2 days before the problem with system restore.
If that does not work, take your computer off the wi fi boot the computer and set it up again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/361035-cant-connect-my-home-wifi-but-other-networks-show-up.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I took my work laptop home for the first time yesterday. It wouldn't connect to the home wifi, but it does connect to other networks including work and McDonald's. It's not the modem, all our other devices work well with the home wifi and I reset the modem just in case. I've changed the proxy settings, which allowed me to connect to networks outside of work but no luck at home. I've allowed all my browsers through the firewall, even tried with the firewall off for a bit. I reset the tcp/in and winsock, didn't work. I have an Atheros AR5007 802 11b/g wifi adapter which is up to date and has been reset.

A:PC does not connect to home wifi (Windows Vista)

Also: When looking at the wireless network connection status, it says 3,000+ bytes sent and none received. I tried the "automatically acquire new IP settings option" and it says there is still a problem & that my modem/router is unavailable. A diagnostic test performed yesterday said there is an antispyware product installed that is not protecting the system but no infections were detected. This antispyware product is the last thing I can think to have caused this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/pc-does-not-connect-to-home-wifi-windows-vista-965465.html
Relevancy 85.57%

my laptop and handphone couldn';t even find my home wifi while the rest could..
i tried to restart my adaptor for quite a few times but it still fail...
this problem appeared suddenly when i still could connect it last time..

i m using asus n43s windows 7 home premium

A:couldn't connect to home wifi when others work!

What channel is the router using? What channels are the computer's adapter capable of using?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/couldnt-connect-to-home-wifi-when-others-work.1105910/
Relevancy 85.57%

I have been relatively happy with my Yoga but I have run into an odd situation and would appreciate any help Specifically my device functions well with my home router but if I move to an area of the to 900: re-connect home WiFi router Yoga cannot house where the WiFi signal is weak and I get disconnected from the router I seem to be Yoga 900: WiFi cannot re-connect to home router unable to re-connect to the router when I then move back to an area of the house with a strong signal I tried turning off the WiFi and turning it back on but it still will not connect It seems the only way I can get back online is to reboot Is there a solution to this For what it's worth I do have the default driver installed Intel Dual Band Wireless AC and saw a post somewhere suggesting going to the Intel site for their driver I am not someone who enjoys tweaking settings so hopefully there is a simple step I am missing Thanks so much to anyone who has time and willingness to offer a suggestion

A:Yoga 900: WiFi cannot re-connect to home router

Hmm, my unit doesn't have that issue. Try reinstalling the Intel wireless driver: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Yoga-Series/yoga-900-13isk/downloads/D...

I'm a Lenovo advocate, part of the Lenovo INsiders program. #LenovoIN. I don't work for Lenovo.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-WiFi-cannot-re-connect-to-home-router/td-p/3308989
Relevancy 85.14%

Okay so my desktop is connected to the network by wifi to the wireless N plus B and G router It connects to the internet fine and dandy Possible iPhone's the connected that net? computer is to connect wifi to wifi by to My iPhone can connect to the router but drops the wifi signal most of the time It doesn t seem Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net? to want to hold the connection because of either distance Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net? or interference from the wall or whatever What Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net? I want is to connect the iPhone s wifi to the computer for a stronger connection But I don t want to move the router because it s centrally located and my office is kinda further away from it Equipment computer n wireless USB adapter connected to computer g wireless PCI adapter connected to computer n router connected to internet iPhone with b g connectivity Is it possible to do this I know what people have done it with one wired connection and a wireless connection from the computer But can it be done with TWO wireless adapters connected to the computer Thanks in advance for any replies PS I know it d be easier to just use the computer to browse the internet since I d be in the office anyway but I work as a D modeler and alot of times I m testing renders for scenes and such and can t stop the render without losing the progress If I browse while it s rendering it s possible I can crash the computer because of the heavy resources the D engine is already using nbsp

A:Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net?

Doesn't hurt (except maybe your time) to try. Get an ad-hoc wireless network working between computer and iPhone (using dynamic addressing). Then in Network Connections bridge the two wireless connections.

If it doesn't work, show the following for the computer before you bridge and when you have the bridge.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

IPCONFIG /ALL

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-to-connect-iphones-wifi-to-computer-that-is-connected-by-wifi-to-the-net.810596/
Relevancy 85.14%

Wifi doesn't connect when i move away from wifi router. I have a wifi router installed in my drawing room where i get good browsing speed on phones and laptops. But the problem starts when i take my laptop from drawing room to my bedroom which is not more than 5 mtrs from router. Wifi signal drops to zero on laptop whereas it remains decent on phones. Earlier my laptop used to connect in bedroom as well..This is happening lately. Is there any solution?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-doesn-t-connect-when-i-move-away-from-wifi-router/td-p/5768546
Relevancy 85.14%

HiHad this laptop for a few weeks now and never had trouble connecting to wifi at home. But today I am unable to connect to wifi and I did a troubleshoot and it says that the problem is - 'WiFi doesn't have a valid IP configuration'I know the problem is my laptop and not the wifi as it is working fine on my iPad.Can someone help please?Thanks,Dee

A:Can't connect to wifi - 'wifi doesn't have a valid IP config...

Hi there @Dee85 Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you are having troubles with connecting to your home network; I am happy to help. Have you tried connecting to a different network with this notebook?Does the wifi (available connections) show up on your notebook at all?Have you tried resetting your wireless router? The error you are getting sounds like the router is not passing on a local IP address to your notebook. The problem could be on either side of that. Try working through these.Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 8)Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)2. Expand the Network adapters.3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.4. Click the Power Management tab.5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.6. Click OK.7. Test. Forget the network: (Windows 8)1. Press Windows Key + C2. Click Settings.3. Click Change PC settings.4. Click Network on the left.5. Click Manage known networks.6. Click the network name.7. Click Forget.Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.4. Restart your PC and test.It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.4. Restart your PC and test.Reinstall the network adapter drivers:1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.3. Expand Network adapters.4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.6. Restart your PC and test.Test an ethernet connection:Self explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.Test another connection:Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Can-t-connect-to-wifi-wifi-doesn-t-have-a-valid-IP/td-p/4902561
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a HP Notebook 15. I restarted my laptop this morning and when it came back on, all options for connecting to the internet via WiFi were gone. I am able to connect to the internet via ethernet cable, and everything works this way.There are no options whatsoever to connect to WiFi or reset the connection or anything, however the WiFi itself is working because other devices in the house are connected to it. I followed a HP technical support online page, which provided step-by-step instructions of various ways to reconnect to WiFi but nothing worked. I tried restarting the computer, updating the driver software, making sure it wasn't in airplane mode, and troubleshooting. Nothing worked. What should I try next?

A:Unable to find Wifi adapter - Cannot connect to WiFi

Hi @jgkelly2, Welcome to HP Forums! I understand that wireless connection stopped working on your laptop. I want to help. Please run the Component test - Wireless Module to verify if the wireless network adapter is functioning well.HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8) If the test failed, the wireless adapter needs to be replaced. Let me know if you need further assistance. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos.  Regards, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Unable-to-find-Wifi-adapter-Cannot-connect-to-WiFi/td-p/5590193
Relevancy 85.14%

I have issues connecting home specific to my issue and wifi Wifi laptop my Laptop to the Wifi router in my house however there are no issues connecting to other routers You would therefore assume that the issue lies with Wifi issue specific to my laptop and home wifi the router at my house However every other device and laptop connects to the router at my house with no issues at all So it seems to be specific to the combination of my laptop and the router at my house I have been having these issues ever since I downloaded Windows I fixed it initially by downloading an old driver for the Wifi on my laptop This fix lasted for about months but since the latest windows update the issue has come back The issue is intermittent wifi where it shows I Wifi issue specific to my laptop and home wifi am connected to the Wifi but then the internet doesn't work It says quot DNS probe cannot be found quot when running troubleshooter and then it resets the wifi on my laptop This can temporalily fix it sometimes for seconds Sometimes for hours But then the issue comes back Does anyone have any clue what the issue might be or how I might fix it Sometimes when I run the troubleshooter it says that I have missing protocols But then this doesn't happen every time I have tried a variety of fixes that I have read up on Wifi issue specific to my laptop and home wifi in forums but none seem to work permantly One thing I haven't tried is a clean install of windows which is something I am very reluctant to do and also have my doubts as to whether it would actually resolve the issue Many thanks Joe

A:Wifi issue specific to my laptop and home wifi

It all depends on location, location, location. Some Gateways are just garbage. If you are not getting a strong enough signal, get an Access Point. Also you need to make sure that you are not on a congested channel, which is usually Channels 6 & 11 for 2.4 Ghz units.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/44081-wifi-issue-specific-my-laptop-home-wifi.html
Relevancy 84.71%

My phone won't connect to my Belkin router (F5D7230-4) thru the wifi connection. It previously had connected fine, but I'd reset the router today & changed the password. I'm able to connect with no problems (thru wifi or regular connection) on my pc. I went to my Belkin router page and have looked at my MAC settings (only option it gives is to clone, which I tried), I've also tried changing the password....my phone also gave me the option of hitting the WPS button on my router within 2 minutes, which I did, but it would not configure automatically as it was supposed to.

When I try to get on, on my phone, it'll say connecting, then authenticating, then eventually disable.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I did a search in the forum and saw a couple similar questions but none of those answers/steps seemed to allow me to connect. Thanks.

A:Samsung Galaxy S2 won't connect to home router/wifi.

from a pc can we see an ipconfig /all

then on the telephone from the network settings - would you post back the IP address, Subnetmask, default gateway and DNS settings if available

you could try logging into the router and removing the wireless security and see if the phone now connects - if it does - put the security back on and try again
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.
http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-galaxy-s2-wont-connect-to-home-router-wifi.1035262/
Relevancy 84.71%

lost wifi access thru local home connection can connect thru public network my grandma during last visit accidentally changed the network to her laptop Have tried to reset netgear wnr v with pin in back turned off and waited and turned back on again--no success have tried to set up new network--see the network listed but no internet access available have modem router from comcast My laptop is Acer Aspire with Lan Broadcom and wireless lan atheros Hope that helps gettting discouraged have looked on your other threads posts for suggestions-have tried many so far no help have used your website in past and has always helped esp since I m not very computer savvy How can I get my wifi connected again Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Vicatron gt PING PING is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file network connect Solved: local/home cant wifi to C Users Vicatron gt Ping google com Pinging google com with bytes of data Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Ping Solved: wifi cant connect to local/home network statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms C Users Vicatron gt nbsp

Relevancy 84.71%

This alas is a very well known and oft posted problem www WiFi 3GS Can't to connect to get connection Home iPhone Apple PC whirlpool Can't get Apple iPhone 3GS to connect to Home PC WiFi connection com au and appears unresolvable Basically my Iphone - sitting on top of the router - will not consistantly connect AND maintain the connection If I keep at it over and over again it will eventually connect but then lose same in a matter of a few Can't get Apple iPhone 3GS to connect to Home PC WiFi connection seconds As this NETGEAR modem also handles my wife s PC and a laptop without any problems I have to believe it is in the iPhone settings that the problem exists OK I have done the following Done a factory reset on the NETGEAR modem Reset the iPhone to factory Yuck Reset over and over again the NETWORK SETTINGS on the iPhone Set up quot another quot network with NETGEAR to see if the default one it finds is quot faulty quot Pretty well done everything that has been suggested on the www whirlpool forums where as above thias is a very common problem all to no avail Everything points to a weak poor or broken NETGEAER conection but the little connection ICON comes in loud and clear and when I do finally get a connection it works fine - for a few seconds The iPhone worked well on this exact system setup after purchase and it is only in the last few weeks that it has gone bad Wonder if I reset the phone back to original via iTunes if that would work nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-get-apple-iphone-3gs-to-connect-to-home-pc-wifi-connection.850164/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello Switched over the internet service provider to Time Warner We are using the same router we have used before the switch which was also with Time Warner service provider and everything was working FINE before the switch But now with the new modem from service provider something is wrong -- My roommate is unable to connect her laptop and her phone to the wifi even though the network is being detected I can only connect to my laptop which was the laptop I had opened to verify connectivity when the Technician was there Also my I-phone is unable to connect to the network even though it detects it It s very odd considering we had the technician come out to resolve this issue in the first place Could it be that the DHCP server has been turned off so it s allowing only one device to connect to the one IP address on the modem Or wifi to to Unable connect home devices multiple do we need to delete the wifi Unable to connect multiple devices to home wifi networks off of our computers and other devices My roommate tried that on her devices and still didn t connect Please help nbsp

A:Unable to connect multiple devices to home wifi

Do you know if your new modem includes WiFi? Is so, when you tested the connection with the technician present, did they have you connect wirelessly to your existing wireless router or to the modem itself?

Assuming you are running some version of Windows on the computer that can connect, please go into the Windows DOS/Command prompt screen and run an IPCONFIG /ALL command. Then copy and paste the complete results of the command here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-connect-multiple-devices-to-home-wifi.1129490/
Relevancy 84.71%

Got me stumped! My Sony Vaio connects to the net fine at work but at home shows connection to the wireless network but no internet access. Any thoughts appreciated! BTW I'm using a Netgear DGN1000 & IE.

A:Unable to connect to net via wifi at home but is fine at work

Is this a company issued machine ?
Sounds like it should of been connected to your home network before your work network if it was a personal machine ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/288200-unable-connect-net-via-wifi-home-but-fine-work.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Can someone please help My partners Aspire laptop will Cannot 5315 connect Acer Aspire Wifi home to not connect to our newly installed Virgin wifi Virgin have tried to access while hard wired and can see no issue with wifi my laptop runs without issue Samsung Q When trying to connect Windows Network Diagnostics the message that comes up is Cannot communicate with primary DNS Server Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response We can take her Aspire laptop out and connect to friends WIFI Virgin BT etc without any issues but cannot do this on our own wifi at home Every diagnostic thats been run shows no issues with anything The wireless adapter details are as follows Cannot connect Acer Aspire 5315 to home Wifi Adapter name Atheros AR EG Wirelss Network Adapter MAC Address - F- A- - B- DHCP Cannot connect Acer Aspire 5315 to home Wifi Enabled Enabled IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server Primary DNS Server Secondary DNS Server When I hard wire the internet through the ethrnet connection I have no issues but kinda defeats the purpose of WIFI for my partner Any Einsteins out there that can offer assistance nbsp

A:Cannot connect Acer Aspire 5315 to home Wifi

Is Einstein the one who talked about perseverance and making hundreds of mistakes before hitting on a winner? Well, anyhow, the Einsteins here are probably too busy inventing or something to spend a couple months putting together the information you need.

The following was put together mostly by etaf with a little help from me.

Atheros AR5007EG & AR5007
We have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters for about a year, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and windows Vista.

The adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
--- Please post back here if that works or does not work.

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver." That apparently has worked for some posters.

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section, as some manufactures, appear to now have a working driver available.
Toshiba - update has worked for some PCs
HP The latest HP Atheros driver dated Sept 2010 has fixed the issue - so check the driver date, However, that does NOT apply to all HPs / Compaqs machines
- the poster did an online scan for driver updates on the HP website here HP Product Detection which resulted in a solution. Solved: Can't connect to internet wirelessly - Atheros AR5007 Wifi through Clear Comm - Tech Support Guy Forums

If you can post the Make and EXACT model of your PC here, along with the windows version you have and we will see if we can find the driver and will post a link as a reply here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) A few posters here with the same issue have found that the driver from this site ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows resolved the issue
Threads are here
Solved: Public Network - Access: Local Only (Please help!) - Tech Support Guy Forums
Solved: NetGear WNDR3700 Incompatibilty W/ Atheros AR5700 - Tech Support Guy Forums
Solved: Local connection only when connected to secured wirless - Tech Support Guy Forums
Solved: Unidentified Network - Tech Support Guy Forums
Unidentified Network
I do NOT know anything about the site mentioned ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows

However, if you do decide to try the driver, Please let us know the outcome

Direct link to the drivers are below
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " click to download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

AR5007
Vista 32 Bit
Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista
Although this driver has shown up in BSODs (Blue Screen Of Death) on Vista SP2 systems, usually conflicting with updated Vista OS drivers like netio.sys, tcpip.sys and other networking related drivers.

AR5007EG
Vista 32 Bit
Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista
Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

You might also bug your laptop's tech support about the problem--maybe people can put pressure on Atheros to find a fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-acer-aspire-5315-to-home-wifi.1025553/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello I ve looked at the other posts but cant seem to find the solution I can not connect to the home WiFi network using this laptop yet I can connect this laptop to other public networks using the WiFi I can connect this laptop tp the home network using cable to the Netgear Broadband wireless router and I can connect this to laptop Solved: to home using Unable WiFi connect to the home network with other Solved: Unable to connect to home WiFi using this laptop devises ie ipads ipods Solved: Unable to connect to home WiFi using this laptop and another windows XP laptop I had McAfee installed which was not working and I have uninstalled it Here is a copy of an ipconfig all command I used Windows IP Configuration Host Name Sheila-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - B-AE- -BD DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc aaa db acd Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday January PM Lease Expires Tuesday January PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -D - -FF- - - B-AE- -BD DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC NDIS Physical Address - F- - - - F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap DD - B - - A - DED Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap BFC D- D - B -B DD-A A EA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap BC EC- B- F- C - BF Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap BC EC- B- F- C - BF Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap FFAA-A A- DB -A -BF E A C Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes If I ping the gateway only one or two packets returned I hope someone can help nbsp

Relevancy 83.85%

Latitude E running Windows Was working fine and then days ago the wifi dropped and won't go back on When I boot up the wifi icon shows wifi to a Can't Wifi shows any red more. icon x. connect black and white with the little asterisk I can click on it and see my network and my neighbors all showing up fine However after I click to try to join the network it thinks for a bit and then says Can't connect to this network Even if I put Can't connect to wifi any more. Wifi icon shows a red x. in the wrong passcode I get the same error so it's Can't connect to wifi any more. Wifi icon shows a red x. never getting far enough to even validate that After I click Close to that the Wifi icon then shows with a red white x I can then no longer see any wifi networks available at all After a minute or so the red white 'x' goes away and I can then try again but get the exact same results The network card that was in the laptop DW didn't technically have a Windows driver from Dell so I took a card from a different laptop that is supported DW but it has the exact same results I also tried connecting to a different wifi and got the exact same results Anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how I can fix it My other laptops phones Fire TV stick etc can all connect to the router just fine The laptop was just reimaged a week or so ago and worked fine for a few days before this happened Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/65842-cant-connect-wifi-any-more-wifi-icon-shows-red-x.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi All,

Win8:
I have two wifi APs in the home and I have it all set up so that one is the Internet by cell phone tether and the other is the cabled network via the router wifi.

Works just fine - except.

On wifi 1, Internet I have it set for "Connect automatically" which at boot up it does.

On wifi 2, Network I also have it set for "Connect automatically" which at boot up it does NOT do. I have to go in and connect manually even though the "Connect automatically" is checked.

It seems win8 sees "Connect automatically"and does it but then stops checking other connections. Probably a "feature."

Is there some way to force both "Connect automatically" to happen?

Thanks

A:Wifi Auto-Connect to two-wifi APs, problem

There is a group policy setting for this, but even if both are connected you will only be using one of those connections at a time.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/45509-wifi-auto-connect-two-wifi-aps-problem.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi i recently upgraded from vista to Windows 7. The wifi icon that detects wifi is missing....

Using speccy it says that wifi has not been enabled....how do i enable it? Any Ideas?

I have visited the Packard Bell website to update drivers but the only info I have on the model is Notebook ZH7 but amazingly there is no refernece to this model on their site. I have downloaded and scanned and installed drivers from Device Doctor but still no joy...

How on earth can I connect to the internet? Any ideas? THANKS

A:No wifi icon at a loss to connect by wifi

hi is there not a button the top of the keyboard that turns wireless on or off?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/130786-no-wifi-icon-loss-connect-wifi.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I am totally disappointed with Asus. The problem remains unresolved after almost more than 2 years.

I hv tried all the methods mentioned at :

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo...en&p=3&m=A43SD&s=310&hashedid=n/a&os=&no=1773

I really regret why I purchased Asus at first place. The experience has been so much frustrating and waste of money, time and energy.

DEAR ASUS YOU SHOULD NOT BE MAKING/ SELLING A PRODUCT OF SUCH AN INFERIOR QUALITY".

TOTALLY RIDICULOUS & DISGUSTING.

Relevancy 83.85%

I use a Dell 2010 laptop. I have consistently been able to use wifi. On 1 Jan I moved into a new apartment shared with a friend. My friend allows me to use the wifi by sharing the password. My friend's computer is a MacBook. But I cannot access wifi! Why is that? I am able to see the available connections and to see the one that my friend is using. But I am unable to access it. I tried manually adding the new wifi network. It shows up with "limited access" -- it does not enable use of internet.

A:Unable to connect to wifi on a macbook from a dell computer at home

What exactly happens when you detect the network and try to connect?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify the network if it is not obvious.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

IPCONFIG /ALL

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-connect-to-wifi-on-a-macbook-from-a-dell-computer-at-home.1084318/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi,
About 3 weeks ago, I was using a public WIFI connection. *something* went wrong, my computer froze up, and ever since, my system icons have been disabled and I can only connect to my home WIFI connection - by going to the control panel and manually connecting. Since I no longer have my connectivity icon, I can not view the available networks, and therefore cannot select one to connect to. Only my home WIFI connection works.
This is bad, since I will be moving soon and leaving my home network. I have tried every tutorial I have found.....my last resort would be reinstalling the OS...but I'm not even sure that would work. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Hollie

A:Can only connect to home WIFI, possibly due to no system icon access?

holandrand,

Do you have more information on this *something* that went wrong? Could it have been a virus? What antivirus do you have? Is it, and windows update ... all up to date?

Have you tried going into network and sharing center and using it to find another network (should be something there that says connect to a network). You might try first downloading the wireless adapter driver from its correct website and saving it to your computer, removing your current one, and then installing the newer one you just downloaded. You will have to reenter the network password (if you have one, and you should) for your home network, but hopefully this will solve the problem.

Let me know what wireless adapter you have and I can look for the correct download for you

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/205042-can-only-connect-home-wifi-possibly-due-no-system-icon-access.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I am using HP notebook pc( model no. 15-r204tx).when i upgraded my pc to windows 10, I found that my device could not start hosted network.And also microsoft virtual adapter for creating hosted network is missing. Can HP solve this issue as i was fedup with its customer care.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-hotspot/td-p/5596723
Relevancy 82.99%

Can web site page history or surfing activity be researched at hotspots or through a wi-fi connection? Basically, how secure is my surfing activity using methods of 'free' spots?

A:wifi/hotspot ???

By disabling your file sharing can help in securing your files not to be accessed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-hotspot.516503/
Relevancy 82.99%

i tried to create a wifi hotspot in window 10, so i used command prompt but after creating it is notworking and showing that the group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the request, then i installed a wifi hotspot software but that's also not running and showing an error : no wireless LAN adapter

plz help me to solve this issue.

A:wifi hotspot

Did you check to make sure your WiFi card supports it.

Run this command to find out if it supports Hosted Network, If it says yes then it should work. What commands did you use.

Code:
NETSH WLAN show drivers
I had good results with HostedNetworkStarter from Nirsoft

HostedNetworkStarter v1.00
Copyright (c) 2016 Nir Sofer
Web site: http://www.nirsoft.net

Description
===========
HostedNetworkStarter is a simple tool for Windows 7 and later that allows
you to easily create a wifi hotspot with your wireless network adapter,
using the Wifi hosted network feature of Windows operating system. With
the wifi hotspot created by this tool, you can allow any device with wifi