Windows Support Forum

Hard-drive transfer speed issue

Q: Hard-drive transfer speed issue

Hello everyone,

This is an issue mainly with my hard-drive and not Windows 8. I attached an image to help resolve this problem. Whenever the 'Data transfer rate' reaches 100% I get huge performance issues. This happens whenever I deal with a few running programs that are accessing and writing data.

The speed transfer of this HD is about 3Gbits I think and is interfaced with SATA. Does this mean I have to buy a new HD with larger transfer rate or am I missing something?

I used to run Windows 7 but switched to 8 and with the new task manager I 'managed' to notice the performance with my HD.

Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/11612-hard-drive-transfer-speed-issue.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard-drive transfer speed issue

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 100.62%

Hello everyone,

This is an issue mainly with my hard-drive and not Windows 8. I attached an image to help resolve this problem. Whenever the 'Data transfer rate' reaches 100% I get huge performance issues. This happens whenever I deal with a few running programs that are accessing and writing data.

The speed transfer of this HD is about 3Gbits I think and is interfaced with SATA. Does this mean I have to buy a new HD with larger transfer rate or am I missing something?

I used to run Windows 7 but switched to 8 and with the new task manager I 'managed' to notice the performance with my HD.

Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/11612-hard-drive-transfer-speed-issue.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Mainboard Asus P P D-E LX Chipset Intel P Processor Intel Core i MHz Physical Memory MB x DDR -SDRAM Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT Operating System Windows Home Premium Home Kb drive speed Hard transfer Edition Media Center -bit I have four drives the two GB drives are installed internally ata Kb speed Hard drive transfer the other two drives are connected by Kb speed Hard drive transfer an external usb enclosure Kb speed Hard drive transfer Rosewill serial ata Hard Disk Western Digital WD FALS- Y A ATA Device GB Hard Disk Western Digital WD FALS- E A SCSI Disk Device GB Hard Disk Western Digital WD AAKS- RBA GB Hard Disk Western Digital WD AALS- E A GB Every time i try to trasfer a file either between the two pairing on their own so sata to sata or usb to usb or try to transfer across connections the same problem arrises Transfer rates start high either mb for sata or mb for usb but over the course of a minute or so the transfer falls into the Kb range It was suggested that i update all my drivers which i have done using driver boost but the problem remains Writing new data like downloading a movie from I-tunes to one of the external drives works perfectly fine with no delay it is just moving data around between the external drives that is the problem However when i try to transfer something to or from the C drive speeds are - Mb and consistent throughout the process any thoughts nbsp

A:Kb speed Hard drive transfer

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=6&lang=en

install drive support from WD, driver boost just does basic drivers nothing "professional" like from WD direct

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/kb-speed-hard-drive-transfer.962135/
Relevancy 82.13%

i am trying to add some movies to my Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda ST31000520AS 1TB from my other hard drive but the Transfer speed is so slow it starts with 150mb and in 5 sec it will go down to 10mb it show it will take 1GB file for up to 20hours to copy what is going on i need a fix pls.

A:Slow Transfer Speed hard drive

Do you have the latest drivers for your chipset? Is hard disk DMA enabled?
Windows falls back to PIO mode when DMA is not available (disabled) or too many errors occur (bad cable, bad controller, bad drive).
Uninstall IDE ATA controller from device manager, reboot , then install the newest IDE controller from the motherboard manufacturer.
I believe Seagate has good customer service so they can be also be contacted, if required.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/71325-slow-transfer-speed-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have the bt home hub router and my pc connected with a standard 54g wifi card.
My network hard drive is connected via an ethernet cable into my router.
If i drag a file from my pc into a folder on my network hard drive, what should the max speed be?
Currently using W7, showing between 1.58 - 2.15 MB/second which is very slow, files I download off the internet are at least twice as fast as this.

A:Network hard drive transfer speed

if you plug the PC into the router with a cable - what sort of speeds do you get ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-hard-drive-transfer-speed.1079802/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hello guys I am new here and i would like to ask and share my problems to you guys I m running Windows XP yes it is SP and yes it is connected into a USB port I got problems here I bought my WD passport elite gb last year it s speed before was mb s average and until i formatted it not really sure if this speed Hard slowed External down. transfer Drive's did the problem for partitions all NTFS i noticed External Hard Drive's transfer speed slowed down. that the transfer rate gotten slower to mb s did some error checking and it says it s just fine So everytime i like transfer files just FYI i did not transfer files from partition to the partition that i made like a mb size file it takes like minutes and so i just don t continue coz i ve been waiting longer than i use to Tried formatting it again to one partition it still slow I download the file from WD support for formatting it to FAT again and not a change And I noticed that before i got that problem i installed the windows update not really sure if this did the problem too and when i turn my laptop on my SCSI and RAID controllers driver is missing updated it didnt work tried reinstalling it didnt work also and i also noticed that the name of the drive kept changing when i reinstall it name of the drive A WI IDE Controller then it s gonna change again to another name like A WI quot quot So guys I don t know what to fix here anymore and all i can think of is replacing it but i can t find the receipt for the product but I registered it online from the WD website itself and i also wanted to know if this could be the drive itself how can i replace it without the receipt think can i use the RMA number if i call them i still have the the papers and everything Thanks guys in advance for your replies and I will get back to you as soon as possible nbsp

A:External Hard Drive's transfer speed slowed down.

The best way to find out if the drive is the problem is to try it on another machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives-transfer-speed-slowed-down.934394/
Relevancy 80.41%

I have been using a USB 2.0 Seagate 250GB external hard drive for a number of years and it's been working fine.

My laptop has USB 3.0 ports.

The last couple of weeks it's got really slow (less than a MBs) when transferring a video file.

I checked the hard drive for errors - none were found.
USB drivers are up to date Driver Booster 3 says.
Is there some settings I could try to speed things up?

As far as I know I've not changed anything so I don't know why it's suddenly got so slow.

A:Extremely slow transfer speed to external hard drive

If you right click the drive in Device Manager and look through the Properties you may see an option to either treat the drive as removable or permanent. Removable supposedly you can unplug without ejecting. But it is slow. Permanent supposedly enables write caching. Likely it was set to permanent before.

If nothing seems apropos you can try the old trick of deleting the drivers and rebooting. Plug and play will install the same drivers that were there but will do it "right" somehow. I have seen a lot of problems disappear just by doing this on a particular device. That is why support does it. Anecdotal success rate seems to me around 50%.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/75926-extremely-slow-transfer-speed-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have been using a USB 2.0 Seagate 250GB external hard drive for a number of years and it's been working fine.

My laptop has USB 3.0 ports.

The last couple of weeks it's got really slow (less than a MBs) when transferring a video file.

I checked the hard drive for errors - none were found.
USB drivers are up to date Driver Booster 3 says.
Is there some settings I could try to speed things up?

As far as I know I've not changed anything so I don't know why it's suddenly got so slow.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/75926-extremely-slow-transfer-speed-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi Everyone.

I have recently had to format my hard drive and re-install windows. I have also had to replace the motherboard, CPU and power supply. I borrowed a 1.5 TB Freecom firewire external hard drive from a friend to back-up important data before the format, but the transfer speed is uselessly slow now that I am attempting to put the data back on the drive.

I have tried:

- updating the drivers for the firewire card
- switching to 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (legacy) in the device manager
- Optimizing the drive for 'better performance' as opposed to 'speedy removal' in the drive's properties.

As things stand at the moment, I am getting about 400 kb/ps transfer speed from the external to my on-board drive. As you can imagine, this is virtually useless to me, considering I have hundreds of gigabytes worth of data to transfer.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A:Extremely slow transfer speed from external hard drive

The best option if the external HD offers an eSata port would be to plug the drive in by either an eSata port provided with the case you or by an addon eSata card. Even when backing things up on a drive in a usb enclosure like seeing a full system image made the data transfer rate slows to a crawl.

One example for that was an image made from a 7 laptop to the drive in the external enclosure taking some 3hrs. to finish from a 120gb drive with hardly anything on it and comparing that to an image totally 497gb made to another internal drive on the desktop here only taking about 35min.!

Unfortunately the only other option would be removing the drive from the self contained external casing it came in to install internally like I did with one WD Essentials 500gb model during the beta and RC testing of 7 simply to add in an extra drive. Otherwise you have to suffer with what the firewire bus will allow.

Of course if it did have an eSata port you could also open the side cover on the case while powered down long enough to plug the drive into a port on the board long enough to see everything copied over which would be faster but just a little awkward. Then you would be using the onboard sata controllers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/233502-extremely-slow-transfer-speed-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello all I am like many others have before having an issue with a driver-related BSOD as a result of a hard drive transfer to another PC This is preventing me from being able to get into Windows in normal mode but I can get in via Hard Issue Drive Transfer Safe Mode Normally I would just perform a clean install but the owner of this laptop would prefer to keep the same settings This Hard Drive was transferred to a laptop of the same make and model with no issues but did not like being transferred back as it caused driver conflicts when it Hard Drive Transfer Issue was placed back into the original Obviously the laptops have some different components inside them and the original does not like the new ones that were placed into it I have tried performing the Vista Startup Repair System Restore No restore points exist and all other options that seemed relevant in the repair menu What I'm wondering is if there's some way I could force it to 'forget' the drivers and redetect them without having to wipe it clean Any help would be much appreciated

A:Hard Drive Transfer Issue

Just out of curiosity, have you tried to delete all of the drivers, then try to reinstall them again?

I do not know which driver is causing your specific issue, but if you can find out which one it is, you may be able to reinstall it later.

I do not know what type of Windows Vista disk the OS originally came from, but you may be able to install Windows Vista again as an upgrade rather then a full clean install.

If that option is available to you, the upgrade will save the contents of all the directories, but will repair the Windows related installation and any corrupted files.

Also, if you can get to a command prompt, you can use the System File Checker by typing SFC /SCANNOW and see if does the repair.

Bruce.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/330872/hard-drive-transfer-issue/
Relevancy 76.11%

Problem: Trying to open files from Q memory external hard drive onto new computer running windows XP. Using backup bat.bxt software. Unable to locate program associated with bxt extension. While searching, inadvertently clicked on outlook express migration 5.0 listing while browsing for programs. Now unable to open any of the files from the external hard drive which were all converted to OEM.
How can I reverse the OEM conversion, and how can I open files with a bxt extension?
Thanks

A:External Hard Drive File Transfer Issue

Have you tried reverting to a restore point before your accident? That may prove to be the easiest.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98232/external-hard-drive-file-transfer-issue/
Relevancy 75.25%

So originally I was using a Rosewill USB HDD Dock with my WD HD103SI 1 TB Hard Drive. Everything went great, but eventually filled that up. I bought a new WD HD103SJ 1 TB Hard Drive, formatted it as NTFS, but the speeds are horrible. Transfer rates say around 2.0 mb/s give or take .5 mb/s, so it takes around an hour to transfer a 4 GB file to the hard drive, whereas it took 4 minutes on my other one. I didn't change any settings, I just plopped a new hard drive into the same HDD dock, but the speeds I am getting on that hard drive are poor. I also noticed that the file text on the hard drive is in blue? not sure why that is...

Thanks...

A:Speed Issue W/ New Hard Drive

Hello welcome to TSG forum.

I have just googled the part number you have included in your post "WD HD103SJ" and it comes up with a samsung spinpoint not a Western Digital (WD) like you stated. Is this correct?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/speed-issue-w-new-hard-drive.906353/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi all,
When I bought new notebook, the notebook could copy/move 10-15 GB file in 10 seconds... The transfer rate perhaps 110 mbps
But now I am move/copy the same file 1 partition to another it takes long time & the transfer rate is 8-12 mbps
Why it is occurring....
& How can I fix the problem
Thanx

A:Hard Disk transfer speed getting down

Try a defrag. Your HDD may be fragmented.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/308104-hard-disk-transfer-speed-getting-down.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hp 14-am118tx comes with the 1 tb hard disk offers a data transfer speed of ________ at 5400rpm. this ensures that all your movies games files are safely stored in 1 place . Choose correct answer.Options:1)300mbps2)150mbps3)100mbps4)200mbpsRight ans ???? Pls answer me

A:Data transfer speed of 1 tb hard disk

Hi, From 100mb/s to 300mb/s. Your post looks like a spam. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Data-transfer-speed-of-1-tb-hard-disk/td-p/5819962
Relevancy 67.08%

I've copying files from one external hard drive to another and though both are USB 3 the transfer rate is 4MB/s or less. What is up? Both drives have been much faster by themselves.

A:Transfer speed between two external hard drives is 4MB/s :(

What kinda files? Lots of small files don't do well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transfer-speed-between-two-external-hard-drives-is-4mb-s.189385/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi

Im getting really slow transfer speeds to external usb hard disk.
Transfering a big file it starts off quite quick and gets up to 5% or so quite quickly.
Then it starts to slow down until it settles at around 5MB/s

Im at a loss i was expecting around 40MB/s maybe on USB 2 ?

My specs are (taken from CPUID)
Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H motherboard
8GB DD2 4-4-4-12 @401Mhz
AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3013Mhz

Im at a loss. Is it a driver issue? When connected it shows under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "USB Mass Storage Device"

any ideas please?

A:Slow transfer speed to external USB Hard disk?

For normal external USB 2 HDD I might expect ~30MB/s for a sequential file transfer.
What type of USB HDD are you using?

You could download CrystalDiskMark and post the performance figures.
Download Center - Crystal Dew World

Running the test on another HDD as well would be useful if you can get your hands on one. Might indicate a drive specific issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/167613-slow-transfer-speed-external-usb-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hey i m having the same problem with my drive s speed as you I have a different motherboard still ASUS though and a different drive but am having the same speed issues I however only have the single drive and it is at the centre of my new gaming rig I can only just about run speed slow transfer with drive problems games but the problem became apparent when I tried running a virus scan and my computer locked up for about min This problem also showed up when loading vista off the DVD for the first install and nothing happened for about min and i know realise this is why Please could i share your thread with you as one thread would be better than two Here is a pic of my drive s speed and Device Manager settings it is almost laughable I am about to try udating the nForce drivers but after hearing about your experience am not too hopeful An suggestions would be great and if I find a solution problems with slow drive transfer speed first I will be sure to post it in here staight away Hope someone out there has any ideas PS I have a friend who i think might have a few ideas but he is on holiday for the next week so i can t yet contact him nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Is there a program taht will allow for this, that is relatively cheap, or is there a way to do it without using a program?

Relevancy 63.21%

I have an HP Pavillion dv laptop that originally was loaded with VISTA but now is operating nbsp with WINDOWS nbsp nbsp I do Hard Hard Transfer new existing Drive Drive to info not have any INSTALL DISKS FOR vista or WINDOWS nbsp Transfer existing Hard Drive info to new Hard Drive The laptop was originally owned by my daughter and she gave it to me after upgrading to a new laptop nbsp Last year I received notification via the laptop that I could upgrade to WINDOWS for free nbsp After trying unsuccessfully numerous times to upgrade I read the System Requirements for WINDOWS and found that my laptop lacked the required free RAM GB nbsp I decided to replace nbsp the original stock Hard Drive GB with Transfer existing Hard Drive info to new Hard Drive a new HD GB nbsp I am looking for the best way to transfer the data from the old HD to the new HD nbsp Please know that this is the first time that I have performed any type of work of this type on a PC device so please be aware that I probably will ask questions or ask for clarification of your recommendations so bare with me nbsp Thank you in advance

A:Transfer existing Hard Drive info to new Hard Drive

Blazer5 Let's correct a few things, first. Win10 does not require 16GB of RAM; instead, it requires that much Disk Space. Win10 requires only 1GB RAM (32-bit PC) or 2GB of RAM (64-bit PC). As to transferring the data, there are two part to this -- the easy part and the hard part. BOTH start the same way, by you purchasing a USB-to-Hard-Drive adapter and using that to connect the old drive to the PC. But, you first need to determine if the old drive is IDE or SATA.  IDE drives have two rows of small pins on the back; SATA drive have two plastic connectors with contact strips on them.  IF it's an IDE drive, make sure that the Adapter you obtain handles IDE drives -- most new ones do NOT. Then, after connecting the drive to the PC, you should get popups about opening a File Manager window for each of the partitions on the drive.  If the drive is still formatted the original way, the really large partition will have the OS and data files in it. You should then be able to copy the data from this old drive to your PC simply by dragging and dropping in Windows Explorer. That's the easy part ... The hard part is that the files she saved under her user account will be protected, and while you MIGHT be able to copy them, you will NOT be able to open them -- this is by design.  This allows multiple folks, each with their own user ID, to use the same PC and not see each other's files. To solve that, you will have to Take Ownership of her file folders on the old drive.  This is a tutorial from the Win7 forums about that:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html Once you do that, you will then "own" the files and folders and can copy them to your drive and then use them.Good Luck

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Transfer-existing-Hard-Drive-info-to-new-Hard-Drive/td-p/5746964
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi. I have a virus infected sata hard drive with windows 7 on it. It has the win 7 anti virus 2012 on it, and it's a cybercriminal virus. I have lots of files I want to transfer to the new sata drive. I already have windows 7 installed on the new drive. How do I get the files from the bad drive to the new one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:How do I transfer files from bad sata hard drive to new hard drive

You could make your own external HD, & than copy/paste over.
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...ard-drive.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/204252-how-do-i-transfer-files-bad-sata-hard-drive-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Who would want their external drives to slow down? Me, that's
who!

Besides apps like BurstCopy that attempt to maximize data
transfer speed, are there any apps that can set the speed,
usually in Mbps, to any number you want?

XP and eSATA drives are like oil and water. They don't mix!
You can tweak the hell out of the system, it doesn't matter.
XP was developed before these super fast drives. Vista fixed
the problem by using dynamic virtual memory management.

If you want to read about how XP uses static paged pool and
paged table entries (PTEs) just Google the topic. Compare
XP to Vista in this area and you'll begin to understand the
problem.

Please, no more tweaks or registry hacks. If there is an
app that allows you to set the data transfer speed, direct
me to the link or site.

Thanks guys.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reduce-or-control-external-drive-data-transfer-speed.849244/
Relevancy 62.35%

I am going to be buying a new computer in the near future and was wondering if backups, file copying, and defragging will speed up very much?

It seems like that at some point, the drives would not be able to keep up with the processor and faster processors would not be needed for many or even most applications.

I am using a 1 ghz Pentium 3 computer now and am going to get a new 3 ghz computer next.

Also, recently, I read an article about the new dual core Intel chips and that sounds like something that I would like but do not know if they are out yet, and if so, do not know what they are called.

A:Processor speed vs hard drive speed

The main point of having a faster processor is that it runs games smoother, compresses audio and video faster, and so on. These tasks are not particularly dependent on hard disk performance. Nearly all applications will benefit from a faster processor regardless of the speed of the hard disk.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor-speed-vs-hard-drive-speed.372071/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello all Specs Asus P N-E SLI Intel Q ghz Micron GB RAM x GB SATA Hitachi x GB IDE Seagate Baracuda nVidia gt Ultra Wat PSU Ever since i bought my new to Slow hard Transfer drive [SOLVED] Slow Rates(Hard Time, drive) Boot motherboard Asus P N-E [SOLVED] Slow Boot Time, Slow Transfer Rates(Hard drive to hard drive) SLI and SATA hard drives my IDE hard drive was messing up I can not load up Windows on it When i install Winxp x on one of my gb hard drives it loads but not fast Before [SOLVED] Slow Boot Time, Slow Transfer Rates(Hard drive to hard drive) WinXP loads progress bar and logo the screen stays balck for about secs or so before it reaches the load screen And right before it reaches the load screen there is a gray load bar on the bottom of the screen Then comes the GUI progress bar It takes about another secs for it to fully load into windows When I unplug the IDE hard drive the gray load bar does not appear and the load time is very quick seconds or so Also when I try to transfer data from SATA hard drive to IDe gigs would take around mins or so Is there a way I can fix this issue Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Slow Boot Time, Slow Transfer Rates(Hard drive to hard drive)

Transferring files from SATA to IDE is a process- and IDE is no where near as fast as SATA, so you can expect some transfer times there. For the boot issue, it sounds like the computer is confused on what to load at first. Check your startup and recovery options by right-clicking my computer, advanced, startup and recovery, and see if multiple opearting systems are there. If so, remove the one that you know you don't want to load by editing the file.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-slow-boot-time-slow-transfer-rates-hard-drive-to-hard-drive-258028.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I'm using Windows xp sp2 and a couple of days ago I tried to copy a wav music track from a cd in my cd drive onto one of my hard drives(not the hard drive with windows on it) it gave a message saying unable to complete due to hardware connection being interrupted
since then the Cd drive and Harddrive I was copying too work only intermittently and for a short time. If you try and copy anything too or from the drive it will start working and then stop.
I think this is a virus problem but aren't completely sure as I've run spyware doctor which found a couple of viruses, but the problem continues despite removing them
thanks. hope someone can help

A:Hard drive and cd drive stopped working after file transfer

I'm not a 100% sure but I'm suspecting you power supply. Anybody else go a thought?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-and-cd-drive-stopped-working-after-file-transfer-498489.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I had this idea, see if anybody has an opinion about this. My wife has an old XP computer I want to buy her a new one but she doesn't like the vista and she wants to keep the old xp operating system. What I want to do is take the old hard drive and put it in the new computer as the master and take the new hard drive and put it in as the slave erasing the vista off it. Then using the master slave way can I transfer the xp operating system and all her files and data from the old hard drive to the new one.

A:Transfer data from Hard Drive to Hard Drive

You cannot simply put the hard drive with XP on it in the new system to have the new system running XP either from the old drive or by transferring to the new drive. It just does not work like that
You need to install XP a fresh on the new system AND you will need a new XP license to do so.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-hard-drive.758878/
Relevancy 60.63%

Can you transfer contents of C: drive to another hard drive easily? My C: drive is out of room, and I have another new hard drive waiting on my shelf...is it a simple thing to have my local shop just transfer the contents to the new drive, so that when I reconnect I have my OS, everything intact?

Not interested in doing it myself; I don't have the software or the time and don't want the hassle.

A:Can you transfer contents of C: drive to another hard drive easily?

Just ask them to clone your old drive to the new drive. Think out in advance what you want to do with the old drive, maybe have them do that too. Cloning makes the new drive look just like the old one in exact detail. They just use some software to do the copying. Pretty simple, shouldn't cost much.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-transfer-contents-of-c-drive-to-another-hard-drive-easily.296020/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have an old desktop HPdx with maximum ram g and running XP Pro I deleted a bunch of programs that I really didn t want to do because I was at left open on my Seagate Barrucuda g HD to way the best What's drive? new to hard transfer and my some of my programs wouldn t run I am now at open I plan on replacing the c drive with a used g IDE hard drive I have an old version of Ghost I also have an IDE transfer cable where you hook two hard drives together to transfer from one to the other I don t have a recovery disc for windows Everything is in CAB files on c drive What s the best way to clone my What's the best way to transfer to new hard drive? c drive including the OS to the new hard drive Will I run into partitioning problems if the new drive is re-formatted I would like to only copy certain files over because I think there may be a bunch of old non functioning files left over from old installs There seems to be something running in the background that I can t find because when I try to delete some temp files it says it can t be deleted because another program is using the What's the best way to transfer to new hard drive? file Same thing happened when I tried to update my Adobe Flash player It said another file was using the program I can t find it though and I don t want to copy all the garbage over to the new drive Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Vel

A:What's the best way to transfer to new hard drive?

I would use any number of cloning programs which are better and more current than Ghost.

I have used both Macrium Reflect and Easeus Partition Master to clone drives/partitions...but there are a number of alternatives available.

Cloning the hard drive results in a bootable copy...and I would not make the space used on the new drive any larger than the size of the drive cloned.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/440189/whats-the-best-way-to-transfer-to-new-hard-drive/
Relevancy 59.77%

Ey guys,

Need some info on solving a bit of a problem ive got. I got a 120Gb HDD running XP that will no longer boot XP, the problem is insolveable, unless by reformat. In just saying that, i cannot reformat as there is much valuable information on the drive. However, i do have a 5Gb HDD that has windows 98 running on it. Is it possible to hook that one up in my computer, boot Win 98 off it, so I could access my other drive and burn the information i required to DVD's? And then reformat?
Any help is aprreciated, thx

A:Hard Drive Transfer

Hi,
Have you considered doing a repair of your Xp installation?
What sort of error messages are you getting that prevents you from booting into Xp?
Here's one way of booting up with your 5Gb HDD.......But before you do this, give us some more info about why it won't boot......
You could try connecting the 120Gb HDD as a 'slave', and the 5Gb as the 'master'.
To do this physically look at the pins [next to the power plug] on each of the drives and set the jumper pins to the appropriate slots [the master might not need any pins at all]..it will show [hopefully] 'Single or Master' without any pins, and the other will need to connected as a 'Slave'.
Your biggest problem will be that you might not have enough space with your 5Gb HDD...if you can get it to boot, try copying what you need to CD's, but don't try copying any of the system files, as they will not work afterwards.
Let us all know the answers to these questions please.
Regards,
Dave.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-transfer-97845.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I currently have a dual boot system (98SE and XPPro) and have just bought a new system installed with XPHome. The C drive on the old computer is 98SE and the D drive is XPPro.

I want to remove at least the D drive on the old computer and install it on the new system, and possibly the C drive.

What will happen? Will the second drive automatically be recognized and intact? How about if I add the C drive with 98SE? I would really like to be able to simply install the D drive and run the current applications that are on it, on the new computer...

What other issues might I expect?

Thanks in advance...

diggerman

A:hard drive transfer

When you install the second drive, you will have to make sure you set the jumpers ok. Also, the programs you have installed will need to be re-installed on the new XP Home PC. Also, you can not run the XP Pro OS on the new PC because the MS licensing will not allow you to run it. You also LEGALLY can not run the 98 on the new PC. Your documents, such as non DRM music files and the like should work fine.

If the drive is preformatted like it currently is, it should instantly be recognized when you install it onto the PC.

Hope it helps,
BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-transfer-56428.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Here is my problem, my Step moms gateway mobo died putting new mem in it so I picked up a refurbashed computer that is way more faster and higher mem for 149.00.

old system has a 160G HD i installed 2 years ago and the new has a 80G, I want to use the 160G in the new one insead of what came in it but I understand with xp ther is a prob because the 160 has info of the old hardware and drive.

how can I use this HD in the new system with all fer files.

Thank for all the help ahead.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-transfer.829356/
Relevancy 59.77%

hi,
I just reinstalled Windows Xp. I installed it on one hard drive and my games are installed on another hard drive. Is there a way that i wont have to reinstall the games?

A:hard drive transfer

Hi weapons master,

there's only one way to find out and that's to run the games. Some games do install some registry keys which are required to be present before they run but others don't. I have my games installed on a different partition and 3 out of 4 run without a problem after a reinstallation of Windows. The other one will run but only if I back up its registry keys before formatting and merging when its finished.

If some games do not work, then it will be a case of reinstalling but once you have done that, you can search through the HKCU and HKLM registry branches for any related keys and then back them up just incase you need them again.

Hope that helps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-transfer-156193.html
Relevancy 59.77%

How do I transfer entire contents, including OS from one HD to another?

A:Hard drive transfer

Generally you dont.

You format the new drive, install the new OS and then reinstall the programs.

There are programs such as Norton Ghost that will create a disk image but they are designed more for backup purposes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-transfer.220033/
Relevancy 59.77%

I am trying to transfer hard transfer drive a primary hard drive from one computer to another I am also transferring a CD-writer The hard drive transfer hard drive was the boot hard drive in the older computer it will still be the boot hard drive The CD-writer was a secondary CD on the old computer it will be the primary CD on the newer one The newer computer is not recognizing the CD s When it starts it goes into the BIOS It begins to load Windows but does not complete I get a message telling me that boot drives are not accessible In the Bios the hard drive appears o k but the CD s are not registering I also have a secondary hard drive but have disconnected it until I get the others sorted out The older computer is a Dell optiplex GX a celeron and the newer one is a dell optiplex GX a Pentium Do CD s have jumpers to set nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi This is my first post so keep that in mind D I have been experiencing some issues regarding my hard drive and im pretty sure it is dead and have decided to get a new one The thing is i have so much unwanted stuff on my old hard drive that i don't even want to do a transfer because in my mind downloading the several games i play on a regular basis isn't really a hassle and i don't have Hard transfer? drive anything like pictures and stuff that i want to save My question is are there things on Hard drive transfer? my hard drive that need to be transferred other than the OS Things i dont know about And if i do get a new hard drive will i be able to install my windows copy on it when i have already installed it on my hard drive im using now Sorry if these are silly questions i just need to be clear on what will happen if i get a new HDD Thanks

A:Hard drive transfer?

Hello Enisa, and welcome to BC!
I will answer your queries in order:
You said:

are there things on my hard drive that need to be transferred other than the OS

Yes there are.
In order to fully answer your question, I must know something: do you have a System Installation disc from your computer manufacturer that came with your computer when you purchased it, or do you have a full, retail CD of Windows 7 from Microsoft? IF you have a retail copy of Windows 7 from Microsoft, do you also have a CD from the computer manufacturer labeled as "system disk", "restore disk" or somesuch title? This is very important because it will determine what we do next.
Also, please post the manufacturer and model of your computer.

And if i do get a new hard drive will i be able to install my windows 7 copy on it when i have already installed it on my hard drive im using now?

Yes. As long as you do not change the motherboard in the computer you will have no problems.

Sorry if these are silly questions

There are no silly questions here. Life is very big; nobody can be expected to be an expert on every problem that arises and nobody is laughing at you. We are here to help folks don't have the time to get A+ certified in computer repair. If we didn't want to help we would not be here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566749/hard-drive-transfer/
Relevancy 59.77%

Greetings all,

I have 2 hard drives in my machine. First, I have a WD Raptor 37gig for my Windows install. Second, I have a Maxtor 200gig for storage. Both are SATA. My question:

Any idea why it would take me roughly a half an hour or more to transfer a dvd from the Raptor to the Maxtor or vise verse? That doesn't seem right to me. It took that long even before SP 2. I can transfer that much data over my network in a fraction of the time.

Thanks.

Soyo Dragon 2 MoBo
AMD 3200+
1 gig Corsair RAM
WD Raptor 37gig SATA
Maxtor 200gig SATA
GeForce FX 5900
SB Live 5.1
XP Pro SP 2

Maybe one of your drives is badly fragmented? Or maybe you don't have the right drivers installed? Or maybe DMA is off?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-transfer.25111/
Relevancy 59.77%

Is the a way to transfer files from one harddrive to another without having to first download to a disc?

A:transfer from one hard drive to another

put both hard drives in same computer format the new one if necessary then copy and paste files or cut and paste if you want to remove from original harddrive. or you can transfer across a network if hard drives are in seperate computers but that take alot more time.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/transfer-from-one-hard-drive-to-another-499128.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi. How would I go about transferring windows XP (sp3) and all contents (prog's, folders, files etc.) from 1 disk to another.
It is installed on 320gb main drive and I want to transfer it to a new bigger drive (both internal) in the same pc?
I have a program called "Clone directory" if that's any good.

A:How to transfer XP to 2nd hard drive

I'd use some sort of disk imaging program. You'll need something that runs from a CD and images the smaller hard drive onto the new one (imaging is different than copying files- it maintains the layout exactly. Don't just copy the files from one drive to another). I think you can do this with Clonezilla, a free CD-based imaging program. It's a little cryptic, but it has worked very well for me for making backup images. Also, I think you will want to have both hard drives formatted with the same files system (you probably have NTFS, which is what I'd suggest).

If you are keeping both hard drives in your computer permanently it's worth considering leaving your setup as it is. You can use the smaller hard drive for Windows and application files and then the other for your documents, movies, music, etc. Then, if your Windows drive dies or gets corrupted/damaged you will still have all of your personal files intact. Reinstalling Windows and software is far easier than recovering files from a corrupt HDD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-transfer-xp-to-2nd-hard-drive.861870/
Relevancy 59.77%

The motherboard went out on my laptop & since repairing it would cost just as much as I paid for it in the first place. I have since bought a new laptop & would like to retrieve the files on the old one. The Hard Drive still works on it so that won't be a problem. I've been told I could use it as an external hardrive or I could simply transfer the files over to my working laptop with some kind of adapter. My question is what would be the the easiest & cheapest way to access the information on the old hard drive.

A:Transfer Hard Drive

An external case would probably be easiest.
You can get usb adapters,but if you mount the drive in a case,
you can get your files off,then use it for external storage or backup.
Make sure the case you use is the same type as the drive.
Sata or IDE.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfer-hard-drive.989932/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello,

My brother is building me a computer. He'd like to put the operating system on one hard drive and my files and programs on another.

My question is: When he transfers my program files and other files over, will I just be able to click on a program as usual and it will run? or do these all have to be installed again through the executable file. I don't want to lose anything as I've got a lot of money tied up especially in music Karaoke files.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Mikie

You need to install all the programs fresh, you can't simply copy them over.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-transfer.460553/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello, crazy question to anyone with this kind of experience. Is it possible to transfer my hard drive from my old dell laptop into the same laptop with same specs? I'm having no success getting the laptop to stay on. I'm almost positive it's a hardware issue. If it does turn on there's no problems with the software. Thank you in advance

A:Possible to transfer hard drive

Well...it's a Dell system and OEMs may use BIOS passwords, system passwords, etc. that might prevent moving the intact Windows O/S to another system, IMO.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN115919/EN

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558826/possible-to-transfer-hard-drive/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello all! I have an old hard drive (western digital. Caviar 33200, 3.2 gigs) from my computer that finally crashed. Is there any easy way to connect this to my new computer to get some data and files from it? My new system is a gateway 500s with 160 gigs and 512 ram. I was thinking of some kind of usb plug-in I could connect it to in the way you can connect two computers together and tranfer info from one computer to a new one. Thank for the help! Mike.

Add the drive as a slave on the new computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-transfer.157311/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello all! I have an old hard drive (western digital. Caviar 33200, 3.2 gigs) from my computer that finally crashed. Is there any easy way to connect this to my new computer to get some data and files from it? My new system is a gateway 500s with 160 gigs and 512 ram. I was thinking of some kind of usb plug-in I could connect it to in the way you can connect two computers together and tranfer info from one computer to a new one. Thank for the help! Mike.

connect it as a slave

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-transfer.157309/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have recently purchased another computer that I will use at my condo in the winter in Florida. How can I transfer all the files on my hard drive from my computer in Ohio to my new computer in Florida?

Data files are easy, Programs are a mess.
Get an inexpensive USB external drive and format it FAT32.
Then you copy the files to it.
Later you can attach it to ANY system that supports FAT32 files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-transfer.33733/
Relevancy 59.77%

I need to transfer my hard drive from my old lap top to it's replacement which is the same model but when I swapped the drives the new computer would not recognize my old hard drive.  Is there some way to format my old drive to work on the new computer?  If not can I use an exterior drive enclosure?  The computer is a 7600 series Acer with a 500 gb WD drive.

A:Transfer hard drive.

Unless the systems have exactly alike hardware components...your chances of successfully switching a hard drive to a new system...are slim.

What is the reason for the replacement system?

Does the BIOS of the replacement system...reflect the hard drive properly when attached?

Since this is an Acer/OEM system...the Acer software may also be a complicating factor.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500916/transfer-hard-drive/
Relevancy 59.77%

How can I transfer my files (or everything for that matter) from my old Toshiba, came with computer, hard drive to a new Seagate Momentus drive?

A:Transfer to new hard drive

Hi cclloyd9785,

Can you please clarify exactly what you want to do? Your "old Toshiba" - is that the one with Windows 7 on it, as your System Specs indicate? What do you mean by "came with computer"? Sorry for misunderstanding...

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/65046-transfer-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi, I am currently using a Gatway, Pentium III computer running Xp Pro and I want to upgrade to a Dell that is a little nicer system. Can I simply shut down and remove my hard drive and transfer it to the Dell or do I have to back up and reformat before it will work?

Transferring the HD won't work. You could probably install it as a slave and copy the files, but you'll need to reinstall the programs.
Both Vista and XP have file transfer procedures that address this issue, although I've found it faster to simply copy the relevant files from one to the other via network, CD or flash drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-transfer.658081/
Relevancy 59.77%

i plan on getting a new hard drive soon and i don't want to start from square one. does windows 7 have a built in transfer wizard for that? probably kind of a noob question, but i can't seem to find anything.

Relevancy 59.77%

Is it possible to pull my 2.5" drive from my laptop, put it in an enclosure and then transfer the data via USB to another PC???

If I plug in the enclosure via USB to another computer will I be able to access the drive like any other memory device such as flash memory etc...

thanks

A:Is this possible 2.5 Hard drive transfer?

Yes. You can pick up a 2.5 External Enclosure, put in your drive, and access it via USB.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-this-possible-2-5-hard-drive-transfer.679407/
Relevancy 59.77%

I recently bought a hard drive and installed a brand new version of Win XP sp3. Within the week the computer has basically fallen to its knees. I am in the process of building a new system and I am going to use the HD in this system. How do I go about this, without having to remove and re-install the OS?

Old mobo Shuttle AK39n
New mobo GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H

Thanks, Tom

Relevancy 59.77%

My old computer was a windows 8 that was upgraded to windows 10. I just ordered a new i5 6600 which comes with windows 10, a 250G SSD and 1 TB hard drive.. My old hard drive appears to be a Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA which seems to be the same as the one in my new Vanquish. My old hard drive is 2/3 full and is backed up often. My question is can I move this old hard drive to my new computer as a separate drive without formatting it and use the data on it (or transfer my data) or does it need to be formatted (thus giving me roughly 2 TB of space with the 1 TB provided with the computer). It was my C: drive in the old computer.

A:transfer hard drive

You can install it as the third hard drive in the new computer. Then I would use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to delete all the extra system reserved and recovery partitions on it and expand the partition containing your data into the free space.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/40053-transfer-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Is there anyway to move my old hard drive to a new machine without making it the slave to a master currently in my new machine. In otherwords, can I order (or build) a new machine without a hard drive, and merely move my current hard drive and all of its existing data/files/programs (from my old machine) to the new machine as a single hard drive?

Thanks ahead of time for the replys!

Relevancy 59.77%

This is my first post - please be patient. I have homemade video shot on VHS that I transfered to DVD. How can I upload this to the hard drive or, at least post this on youtube or something?

A:DVD to hard drive transfer

Hi. . .

To transfer from DVD to your hard drive, bring up two Windows Explorer screens and copy from the DVD to your hard drive - like your pictures folder.

Then log into youtube, and upload the mpg or mpeg file from your pictures folder.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dvd-to-hard-drive-transfer-273661.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Iím thinking about buying a 300 GB Maxtor SATA hard drive to install in my computer to replace the existing 120 GB ATA model.

I would like to partition the 300 GB into two drives and install my existing OS from the old one onto the new. I donít want to have to re-install the OS because everything is running great.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

A:How to transfer OS from one hard drive to the other?

You can use an imaging program like Ghost or Acronis. I personally like Acronis, all you have to do is use the Clone disk option and it will take like 5 min. However I think it might make your main Partition the full size of the 300G disk, so you might have to go back and repartition it using something like Partition Magic

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-transfer-os-from-one-hard-drive-to-the-other.522743/
Relevancy 59.77%

Ok so my old computer broke down a while back and id like to transfer all the information from it to my new computer The old computer doesnt turn on so i guess my best option would be to attach the hard drive to my new computer Old computer Compaq Presario Hard Drive Transfer s NX windows XP intel pentium GB ultra DMA hard drive New Computer GateWay Veriton M windows AMD Phenom II X TB hard drive Questions Both computers are quite different so I was wondering if this was possible without buying another type of wire Hard Drive Transfer or such Will I be able to use windows XP if I wanted just curious this holds no importance to me I just want my old files Would I be able to have both hard drives operating simultaneously Or would i have to swap out one hard drive for the other All in all I m just looking for a way to transfer the data from my old hard drive to my new computer I m open to suggestions or different methods nbsp

It all depends on what type of hard drive it is, IDE or SATA, and whether the new motherboard has the matching socket. If it does you can connect it inside the new PC's case, if not you will need a lead or enclosure to connect it to a SATA or USB socket.

Once connected you should be able to get the files off ok.

The XP on the drive will almost certainly not work on the new PC because the hardware drivers will be different.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-transfer.1053009/
Relevancy 58.91%

Greetings!
I installed a 60GB SSD a couple of years ago when they were quite expensive. I planned to use it solely for the operating system (Windows 7 Ultimate x 64). However over the years, it has become full to overflowing. I would like to clean it up and return it to the operating system only. Unfortunately I do not have the original disks or access to the installation programs for most of the information on the SSD. I have two other hard drives in the system - a 500GB Velociraptor that I originally wanted to hold all the programs and a 1000GB for the data. Can anyone tell me the best way to transfer the data off the SSD without screwing up my system? Thanks!

A:Transfer data from SSD to another hard drive?

Quote: Originally Posted by zyton777

Greetings!
I installed a 60GB SSD a couple of years ago when they were quite expensive. I planned to use it solely for the operating system (Windows 7 Ultimate x 64). However over the years, it has become full to overflowing. I would like to clean it up and return it to the operating system only. Unfortunately I do not have the original disks or access to the installation programs for most of the information on the SSD. I have two other hard drives in the system - a 500GB Velociraptor that I originally wanted to hold all the programs and a 1000GB for the data. Can anyone tell me the best way to transfer the data off the SSD without screwing up my system? Thanks!

Not having the Win 7 disks is no problem as long as you have the Product Key, the 25 character code that is on a small sticker somewhere on your PC. You can download the ISO from here Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River ? My Digital Life and burn onto a DVD (not more than 4X) and use this for a clean install on your SSD. When you are happy with the install, you can insert your Product Key and active your Win 7. Use this tutorial to aid on your installation.
Clean Install Windows 7 Good luck

If you can put some programs on your SSD, you will see a big advantage in speed. This is the desired way to install SSD's.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/261368-transfer-data-ssd-another-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I am building a new system and began to wonder about the limitations that HD's would put on SATA. Basically, I have been thinking about getting a solid state storage device (for boot drive) and wonder if there is any point to going with sata III.

OK, so here is the question: If the read rate is 300 MB/s and write 275 MB/s then would there be any difference between 3.0 GB/s and 6.0 GB/s transfer speeds?

It just seems to me that when reading with both transfer speeds the rate would be 300 MB/s and when writing the buffer would full up in a few microseconds while the drive is writing 275 MB/s.

Any help from someone with more technical knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks,
Lao Tan

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-transfer-limitations.149159/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello, my primary drive is acting wierd, i think it's going to crash soon. I need a program like norton ghost to transfer every little bit of information that's on my primary drive to the other one i have(it's already in my computer). However i don't much money probably 20 bucks at the most, so i was wondering if there is a free or cheap program of similar nature i can use. thanks for viewing please reply!

A:Hard Drive Transfer Programs

There are free programs that will allow you to clone your harddrive. One is:www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/61869/hard-drive-transfer-programs/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a 120Gb HDD that is acting up. Random sputtering sounds and then reboots. I have another 120Gb empty HDD. Want to transfer all files, including Win2K Pro to the new drive.
I looked at some messages for hardware, but they are for Win98 and Me. Says problems with Win2K, etc. Are there any other programs other than xxcopy that will work with Win2K? I was familiar with Ghost, but only with Win98SE. Would there be a version of Ghost that would work now? Thanks for any help you can give. Regards, Goofy

A:Hard Drive All Files Transfer

You can try using something like the System Rescue CD if you are somewhat Linux savvy (im sure it is all explained on their site as well).

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Really though the CD is meant more for making images of a drive in the sense of restoring from the image later in the event of a software/hardware failure.

But it still might help since its free.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-all-files-transfer.638417/
Relevancy 58.91%

Sometime in the past year I copied all files i had from one hard drive currently is and always was G to a larger one which is C then resized the partition installing aftermath drive transfer Hard debian linux onto the gb remaining The computer booted both windows and linux just fine At some point i erased linux and Hard drive transfer aftermath installed win insert long explanation as to why i cant use it right now here I noticed though that on the copied-over version of windows that Hard drive transfer aftermath it would not boot without the old drive in and that there were problems with services starting It wasn't a big problem then so i didn't worry about it But now i need to be able to start properly use some of the services that wont start specifically routing and remote access amp windows firewall Routing and remote access gives the error quot Unable to load C WINDOWS system iprtrmgr dll quot in the system log although that dll and all it's dependencies are where they need to be The service control manager gives me error number When recently running CCleaner on the registry I got a bunch of shared dll errors that were quot repaired quot all of them pointing to my old G drive Reinstalling is not an option- if it were everything i needed would be backed up my drives wiped and windows installed If you need any more information i will gladly oblige Please help me I need this computer to work properly

A:Hard drive transfer aftermath

This might help.

Windows Dual Boot Editor

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-transfer-aftermath-554114.html
Relevancy 58.91%

My son bought a new hard drive for his laptop he bought a memory chick transfer kit that said he could transfer his entire hard drive to the new hard drive including windows xp without recovery & xp discs. The instructions only took us so far and we can not figure out how to do the transfer. Does anyone have any knowledge of how to do this? We aren't real computer savy and this transfer kit stated that a layman could do this apparently not. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks

Relevancy 58.91%

hey all i recently posted that i lost access to my keyboard and mouse during xp installation well heres the story about that i had an idea to transfer all my hardware froman emachine to a amd motherboard which is where the hard reinstall to drive after transfer having xp hardware came from a virus forced me to get a new pc anyway after about month with the emachine i decided to go back to the amd because it has a stronger processor and can hold more ram Well asfter taking the hard drive out of the emachine which had xp installed with lots of important data that i cant lose i put the drive into the amd pc and i booted having to reinstall xp after hard drive transfer it up and it brought to the XP setup which was having to reinstall xp after hard drive transfer halfway through when it got to the Regional and Language options wen i lost control of the mouse and keyboard which is needed any way i can bipass the setup and get back to the data i had or can i get my mouse and keyboard working please help iv been stuck on this literally all day thanks

A:having to reinstall xp after hard drive transfer

Can you use a PS/2 Keyboard instead of a USB? Other options for canceling a Windows Repair install If you want to backup your data on the drive put the drive on another computer as a Slave Drive or with a USB Adapter and backup your files or use an Ubuntu Live CD and a flash drive to backup your data.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/having-to-reinstall-xp-after-hard-drive-transfer-547497.html
Relevancy 58.91%

ran some diagnostic tests on my pc thru pcpitstop.com and discovered my Maxtor Diamond Max Ultra ATA 100 5T040H4 40GB 7200rpm hard drive is only working at trasfer speeds of 2 mb/s. according to tests it should be working more around 20-25mb/s and it is clearly making my computer work very slowly. i did everything pcpitstop recommended including deleting unnecessary files, defrag, dma mode enabled, etc. i am operating windows xp proffesional and the file structure is fat32 by the way. can anyone help me??

A:Hard drive transfer rates at 2 mb/sec!!

Disk Reverts to PIO Mode may help, I suspect that's what has happened here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-transfer-rates-at-2-mb-sec.371832/
Relevancy 58.91%

Does anyone have any recomendations for transferring the entire c: drive from one hard drive to a file on another hard drive? right now i am using cobian 8 for the software and usb/ide cable for the transferring? it is not very quick or reliable and i would rather find something a lot quicker and a lot more reliable, any recommendations will be extremely appreciated!!! Thank You!!

Relevancy 58.91%

I recently bought an ipod. When I tried to install iTunes, it wouldn't install onto Win Me. It only works on Win 2000 and XP. Eventually I'm going to get XP, but until then I'd like to use a friend's pc (Win XP) to upload tunes from my pc to the ipod. Should I:

A> Install my hard drive into my friend's computer, use it as a slave, and install iTunes on her master drive (XP), then upload the files to the ipod?

B> Transfer the files from my pc (about 16 gigs of mp3's) to her's (if so, which method is best?), then upload.

C> Something else? (Your suggestion here)

Relevancy 58.91%

Dear Experts,

I have an Acer Aspire 5750 Laptop with pre-installed Windows 7. It has a 640GB HDD. I want to replace the existing HDD with a new 1TB HDD. In doing so can i

Transfer the Windows to the new HDD along with the Recovery partition?
Kindly help me by suggesting a solution. A comprehensive answer will be much appreciated.

A:How to transfer Windows to a new Hard Drive

You can try to clone your HDD which does not always work or use images which I prefer.

For imaging and restore refer to this tutorial. This program can also clone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/355716-how-transfer-windows-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

[RESOLVED]How to transfer files to new hard drive?

I bought a new hard drive for my laptop and I am wondering how should I copy the operating system and all of the contents off my current hard drive to my new one?

I considered using a backup program such as Ghost to copy my current hard drive and put it on my new one. The problem with this is, wouldn't I still need to install an OS and Ghost on my new hard drive before I can use the backup image?

A:How to transfer files to new hard drive?

Not for the weak of heart, but for the least stress and the most complete move for someone new to the transfers, I recommend the full version of Acronis... Some hard drives have their own free or low cost version of Acronis...
There are others, but the cost is higher and so is the confusion.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-transfer-files-to-new-hard-drive.151472/
Relevancy 58.91%

I recently bought a hard drive and installed a brand new version of Win XP sp3. Within the week the computer has basically fallen to its knees. I am in the process of building a new system and I am going to use the HD in this system. How do I go about this, without having to remove and re-install the OS?

Old mobo Shuttle AK39n

New mobo GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H

Thanks, Tom

A:[SOLVED] Hard Drive Transfer

All other considerations aside, what might work (since the chipsets are pretty much guaranteed to be different) is to put the new drive in, insert the XP cd in the cd drive, boot to cd (which means you had to previously set the boot priority as [floppy if you have one], cd, hd).

Then you have to select Repair Install (NOT recovery console repair) and go through the hoops.

Having said that, depending on the version of XP you have, you may find that your authorization gets denied because you have fundamentally changed your comp (even though it was due to motherboard failure or whatever).

You will have to call MS and explain and see if they are feeling good today about your dilemna.

gl

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-hard-drive-transfer-364893.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I was given an unwanted eMachine computer. It has XP Home installed on it and considering that the hard drive is pretty old I would like to be able to use that serial number from the eMachine to install XP on a fresh hard drive. There is no disc, only a recovery partition.

Is there a way to make a disc of that recovery partition that will allow me to install XP on another drive or is there another method that I haven't considered yet?

Relevancy 58.91%

i recently installed a new hd (120G seagate sata) on to my system. the first thing i did was to transfer some 22gigs of media files to it. of course, it took almost two hours. i noticed that this transfer used at least 50% of my processor (P4 3ghz) throughout. i wonder if there is any way to do such a transfer and circumvent the cpu. any input is appreciated. cheers.

Relevancy 58.91%

Dell has replaced my PC tower. The new one has a slot and connection for a second hard drive. I plan on taking my old HD and hooking it up to transfer my data to my new PC. I'm assuming the new PC will see it as a new drive. Am I right thinking I can simply do this. Is there anything I need to know before I start?

(I will have to replace the old HD to return the old PC to Dell)

Thanks

A:transfer files from old hard drive?

As long as you're just looking to copy data, not programs or the OS, you should be fine. Just make sure that you have an IDE cable capable of supporting the 2nd hard drive (you could also hook it as a slave to the optical drive). Only thing that you may have to modify is the jumper pins on the hard drive and the IDE slot you are going to connect it to. You can't have both set on "master" or "slave" at the same time. You should be save setting them both as CS (cable select) and making sure your OS drive is first in line.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/transfer-files-from-old-hard-drive-125458.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey, I was Looking for this thing,

It kinda like just a Hard drive around 60-150gb and what you do is, hook it up to the back of your pc, maybe usb. Not sure and drag the video on. Than you can take that and go and hook it to your tv and watch the video their.

Now... dose anyone know what that is?

Relevancy 58.91%

a friend has a pc pentium 4 running xp an a 20 gb hard drive

shocked as i was it is full and very very slow.

is there any way to transfer all info from his computer onto a new hard drive and throw his old one in the bin which i havent bought yet. i have a usb 120 gb external drive.

would xcopy work with a dos prompt. if i transfer files and settings will i loose some programs he already installed.

he has no disks to re install

Relevancy 58.91%

I recently discovered that my hard drive is damaged and I need to buy and install a new one. With that said, it would be convenient to move all my files to an external hard drive and transfer them over to the new internal hard drive. If I transfer all the contents of my current hard drive to the new one, would Windows 7 be included? If not, how would I go about getting Windows 7 without re-buying it?

A:Is it possible to transfer Windows 7 to a new hard drive?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/move-windows-7-to-new-hard-drive/23340c37-3e5b-4e60-9dc0-e1ebf330337f

That should get you going.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/437210/is-it-possible-to-transfer-windows-7-to-a-new-hard-drive/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a Dell Latitude D600 w/ a 40gb hard drive. Just putting Windows based components (Word, Excel, PowerPoint ...) Has taken serious amounts of space. I am in the process of purchasing a Hitachi Travelstar w/ 100gb for it. My question is this, is there an easy way to transfer EVERYTHING from the presently installed drive onto the new one? Including Windows and all installed software, files, pics, music...

Thank you for the comments, Tom

A:[SOLVED] Hard Drive Transfer

Use a disk imaging software. The free program I use is called driveimage XML. Google for it and you can find out where to download it, how to use it, etc. Or you can go with a paid option like Acronis Trueimage.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-hard-drive-transfer-337411.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I need to know easy steps how to transfer files and programs from my PC windows vista laptop to an external hard drive.
And what does it mean when I tried to transfer a program to the external hard drive and it is on the external hard drive and has a shortcut arrow and I know it didn't transfer the whole program, which I want to keep on the computer and also put on the external hard drive.
I do want to keep the programs and files on the laptop and also put on the external hard drive as a back up.
Thank you.
PS What in the world is a thread?

A:External Hard Drive transfer

Hello,

The best way i have found to save programs and files is to "ghost"the entire drive. Are you doing this as a backup measure or are you planning to replace the entire internal drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-transfer-570402.html
Relevancy 58.91%

So I plan on building a new computer and taking my secondary hard drive out of my current PC running XP. Most importantly I want the files (word docs, music, etc.), but as far as ease goes, I have programs installed on the hard drive (Editing programs, games and other apps.)

My question is, if I put the hard drive into the new comp with 64-bit Vista running would I be able to open those programs from the hard drive and have them run? Or would I just have to get rid of them all and re-install?

Thanks

A:Hard Drive Transfer From Xp To 64-bit Vista

Before you install the 64-bit version of Vista you should look very carefully to see if you can find drivers for the hardware that you wish to install. This still seems to be a current problem. The 64-bit version will be more secure than the 32-bit version, but for the average home owner or small business owner, I'm not sure that this would be worth all the trade offs. Another problem will be applications that will be compatible with Vista. You might wish to check and see if any of the applications on you other hdd will be compatible.

You mention a secondary hdd, is this just for storage, or does it have a Windows OS installed on it?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/152466/hard-drive-transfer-from-xp-to-64-bit-vista/
Relevancy 58.91%

hello Everyone,

I want to upgrade my old hard drive because I think my old one is on the way out.

Is there a way to copy everything from one drive to another so I don't have to go through the process of installing the operating system and all the applications from scratch?

Thank you

Bigbavarian

A:Transfer all data from one hard drive to new one

Most hard drive manufactures provide software so you can move your windows from the old drive to the new drive. What brand name and model number is the new drive? (this info will help us help you get the software to do this from the manufacture)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/335753/transfer-all-data-from-one-hard-drive-to-new-one/
Relevancy 58.91%

Is there an easy way to transfer everything from one hard drive to another if I put one in as master and the other as slave. Can you just do a disk copy?? Want to replace a smaller hard drive with a larger one and just want to transfer everything on to it. Thanks in advance

A:hard drive data transfer

Most harddrive manufacturers have a utility on their support web site that will do it for you. Check their site first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-data-transfer.34292/
Relevancy 58.91%

Need help!
How do u transfer vista completely from my old h/d to my new h/d?
is there an easy way using the vista disc as its on the same pc ?
I am looking for a step by step guide if anyone knows of one .

cheers i know one of you will know the answer

A:vista transfer to new hard drive ?

some new harddrives come with the software to transfer. or you can go to the harddrives manufacturers website and download it. Usually a guide comes with it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-transfer-to-new-hard-drive-542320.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I recently installed a new hard drive on my laptop, since the last one broke. I'm wondering if there is any way to transfer saved files from the bad hard drive myself? I'm trying to not have to take my laptop in to a technician and spend a lot of money all for them to tell me that it's impossible. If there is a way, what can I do? I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Vista Home Basic installed.

Relevancy 58.91%

I am getting a new pentium 4 with 120 gigs of space...I want to clone my C: drive from my old Dell....so I was wondering when I do that, will Win XP transfer over too? Or will I need to get a new copy of it? It says that it makes a complete copy of your hard drive. If that is the case, then I would love to just be able to clone the Hard drives through an ethernet cable and move on to the new computer. Is this a possibility?

Relevancy 58.91%

Hello Thank you for taking the time to Transfer Drive Complete Hard read this message Over a month ago I suffered a house fire Fortunately I was able to salvage a few Complete Hard Drive Transfer things one being my Complete Hard Drive Transfer computer I have noticed strange happenings with the computer Sometimes the HDD is not recognized in the BIOS and I get the message quot Insert system disk and press any key to boot Complete Hard Drive Transfer quot Sometime the computer re-boots out of the blue Very Sloooowwwww and I am afraid the HDD is going to crash soon I remember the quot OLD quot days of XCOPY and GHOST etc I do not know if these programs would make the HDD bootable or if the would work with XP What I would like to do is completely copy the contents of a small GB HDD that has been doing what I need it to do for a few years not but is getting smaller by the day and getting ready to crash As you know a GB HDD is just about extinct Seeing where I feel it is going to crash soon I would like to purchase a much larger HDD format and partition it Is there a way or a program one of you quot Pro s quot are aware of that I can copy everything from the GB to another HDD and have the new larger HDD boot With the fire I have lost all of my software CD s Windows XP CD etc etc I am trying to have the NEW HDD bootup and have the software still intact Is there a way to do this Any information will be appreciated Thank you for your time Rick M nbsp

A:Complete Hard Drive Transfer

u can go to the manufacturer of the hard drive u are talking about and they will have a test software that will test the hard drive, if it says it is bad u can bet it is and it needs to be replaced, I do not know the name of any of these programs but I do know Maxtor has one that is suppose to work on any brand of hard drive. the better would be to get the one from the manufacture of u're hdd.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/complete-hard-drive-transfer.69624/
Relevancy 58.91%

I moved my existing hard drive to the slave position when I installed a new hard drive in the master position. I installed winxppro on the new drive. How can I move software and program files from the old drive to the new drive?

A:hard drive program transfer

You can't! You can move files, but the registry and file assosiations need to be set on the primary system partition and also have the support files installed. The install program will install dll's and other system files in many locations so it is more than a matter of just moving them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-program-transfer.112329/
Relevancy 58.91%

I had an XP computer that crapped out I put the hard drives in an external enclosure and now want to transfer them to a new Windows bit Dell desktop I have been copy and pasting but it is laborious especially since I Transfer, Easy from drive hard ext keep running into ownership permission issues I am the administrator on both the new system and the old xp computer the hard drives were in BUT I used a different user name on the new computer I changed the name on Easy Transfer, from ext hard drive the log in screen to the old name Gary but that didn t change the user names in the file structure When Easy Transfer, from ext hard drive I go to my user account I get the attached so my questions are can I easily change my user account folder name Joanie and Gary to the user account name Gary And should I does it make any difference in access permissions seems I log in as Gary and try to access files in a locked Joanie and Gary user account folder Can I use Easy Transfer quot to transfer files saved on a hard drive that WAS in an XP computer but is now in an external hard drive to a Windows computer hopefully the answer to question will clear up the file permissions problems I have nbsp

A:Easy Transfer, from ext hard drive

Sorry, can't get the attachment small enough to attach (max 200kb). It just shows the directory, with the path: computer; OS (C); users; Joanie and Gary..... with a little yellow pad lock next to Joanie.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/easy-transfer-from-ext-hard-drive.902205/
Relevancy 58.91%

my emachines that runs windows vista went by bye and i want my pictures of the hard drive can i take it out and put it in a hp computer that runs windows xp. if so how do i do this? step by step process would be great.

A:Transfer of hard drive to another computer

Does your computer still boot up if so you could use a liveCD like Knoppix or similar all you need to do is boot from the liveCD then navigate to your pictures insert a USB flash drive and move your picture to there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transfer-of-hard-drive-to-another-computer.159409/
Relevancy 58.91%

Dear All,
I just purchased a laptop windows 10 with poor RMP hard drive(5400).
I want to transfer that windows to my SSD.
Is there any way that we can do that?
Thanks

A:transfer windows 10 to other hard drive

Yes, you can image the hard drive. Which SSD did you purchase? Some of them offer the possibility of downloading imaging software, e.g. Crucial will let people download a cut-down version of Acronis True Image to facilitate transfer to a SSD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfer-windows-10-to-other-hard-drive.1155131/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have an older Pc but still works well, I am running windows xp sp2. I recently acquired a much larger hard drive than the one I am currently using, and a friend of mine mentioned changing them out, but I have no idea how to accomplish this.

I also would like to delete the information that was on the new hard drive previously, I took out my cd-rom and put the new hard drive in its place as a slave and it was recognized on startup, but I would like to have it as master with all my files and Os from my old hard drive.

Relevancy 58.91%

Hi My PC overheated the other night and shut down I couldn t start it up again - totally dead In the morning tried again but nothing So I took it to a repair shop and had it looked into I guess a circuit is blown or the fan is blown or something of that nature so I reckon it might cost a Can PC drive (windows PC 7) hard transfer (Xp)? I to from a lot of money to fix But I m broke I had windows on that system including Microsoft Office I have Vista now I have Xp on my old computer and I m using that at the moment but I can t install Microsoft Office nor even Enterprise on it something about a error which no one can resolve Anyway I m hoping to reinstall Vista Xp on this Can I transfer a hard drive from PC (windows 7) to PC (Xp)? old computer and then try again with Enterprise Office Hopefully it should install with it being a fresh new system Fingers cross Can I transfer a hard drive from PC (windows 7) to PC (Xp)? Can I take the hard drive from the broken computer and transfer it along with the files into the old computer from windows to Vista Xp I don t want to do that and find out I need to reinstall Vista Xp again because of the hardware changes but I am thinking that when the repairman rings he s going to charge me an arm and a leg to fix the new computer you know what mechanics are like somethimes Hope you can answer my question s nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

Is there a way to transfer data from a old internal hard drive from a old computer (motherboard crashed) to my new computer??
The old was Win 98 the new is Win XP. I do not want to open the new computer to slave the old drive because it will void the warrenty. I do not want to loose all the data on the old drive. Any suggestions would be welcome.

A:transfer data from old hard drive

You'll need to hook that drive up to something in order to transfer the data. Go to Start > Progarms > Accessories and try the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in XP.

There are cases that you can buy that will allow you to run a hard drive externally through the USB port. Some come with drives but you can buy them empty. If you got one of those, you'd also be able to use it for saving an image of your new hard drive in case it crashed.

Here's an example:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=523075&CatId=1204

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfer-data-from-old-hard-drive.263106/
Relevancy 58.91%

Why am I getting such slow speeds. I made a second partition on my main drive and looking to transfer my DATA there, because its getting larger than I expected.

Should it be this slow when transfer files within the same disk just one partition to another.

Drive info: Seagate 1TB 7200.11

A:Hard drive transfer speeds?

Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv

Why am I getting such slow speeds. I made a second partition on my main drive and looking to transfer my DATA there, because its getting larger than I expected.

Should it be this slow when transfer files within the same disk just one partition to another.

Drive info: Seagate 1TB 7200.11

Data transfers between two partitions on the same drive will be a slower than transfering data between physically different drives.

This is a side effect of having the read/write heads having to read data, move to another part of the disk to perform the write, then move back again to read more data, and so on.

If transferring data between physically different drives, the drives heads can remain in the relative same position while the other drive performs a write operation. The heads will not need to move far (if at all) in order to continue reading data.

I hope I've explained it good enough for you. But to summarise: Multiple partitions on the same drive cause read/writes heads to do more work...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/127348-hard-drive-transfer-speeds.html
Relevancy 58.91%

so i just installed my new 1tb 7200rpm hard drive, and it runs perfectly, my only problem is windows 7 is on my 500gb hard drive, so i want to move it over to the obviously faster hard drive. What's the least complicated/easiest way to do this?

Thanks for any help you can offer me, i really appreciate it.

A:how do i transfer windows 7 from one hard drive to another?

Use disc imaging software to either clone the drive or simply create an image and restore it to the new drive. Acronis True Image is the best of breed disc imaging software, Macrium Reflect is the best free alternative.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/431895/how-do-i-transfer-windows-7-from-one-hard-drive-to-another/