Windows Support Forum

cannot access Library folders keep getting LIBRARY-MS File

Q: cannot access Library folders keep getting LIBRARY-MS File

For some reason if I go to the libraries where is has Documents, Music, Pictures and Video I cannot open anything it just says LIBRARY-MS File. I can access the folders if I click on computer, C drive, users etc. I have tried deleting the -MS files right clicking on Libraries and clicking Restore Default Libraries I have also tried making a new user account, adding folder to libraries, even reinstalled Windows 8. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: cannot access Library folders keep getting LIBRARY-MS File

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: cannot access Library folders keep getting LIBRARY-MS File

Did you first set up a Homegroup with the other machines in your network?

I don't believe the Library folders will function unless a Homegroup has been set up.

The Homegroup trouble shooting guide will show you how to fix most Homegroup related problems.

Ultimate Troubleshooting Guide for Windows 7 HomeGroup Connection Issues

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/16257-cannot-access-library-folders-keep-getting-library-ms-file.html
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello, I'll try to be as clear as I can.

I have my computer hooked up to my router with an Ethernet cable. About an hour ago the Limited sign popped up. With the cable connected it says Limited, but I can freely use the internet. When I take the cable out, under connections it still only says "Ethernet Limited" and I can't use the internet. I'm not sure about any specs to my comp. All I know Is I'm using windows 8 and it's from Toshiba. I know it's not much to go on, but I'm losing my mind and any help would be wonderful. Thank you.

This picture is how it looks when the cable is, and isn't, plugged in.

A:Limited Access with Ethernet, even when not connected

With the cable pulled out, the picture is correct (for a wired Lan Connection).
When it is attached AND you have access to the Internet, it should not be limited.
SO, get a command prompt ( start->run and enter CMD ) and enter

IPCONFIG /ALL >myTCP.txt
then NOTEPAD myTCP.txt
copy the contents and PASTE that as your follow-up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-access-with-ethernet-even-when-not-connected.217393/
Relevancy 17.63%

Toshiba laptop. Internet at the bottom right says there is a connection available, but says the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network. It has to be plugged in to the modem to access Internet. Speakers do not work. Ports do not work either. I had it in for repair and he thought it might be the motherboard, but he couldn't fix the other one and I got help with Broni on here and it works fine now. I am hoping someone on here can help me fix this one. It has no viruses; it's clean. Thanks!

A:Laptop cannot access the Internet unless it is hooked to the modem

Ok, the modem=>pc config working says networking is at least sane.

To get the modem=>router=>pc to work, the pc should not have ANY configuration data stored in the network adapter settings. Can you find and clear the network adapter for yourself?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-cannot-access-the-internet-unless-it-is-hooked-to-the-modem.207405/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi there guys

I suddenly can't connect to wifi, but the problem is solved when I use the cable, and connect my laptop directly to modem. surprisingly I checked and it seems I can connect with my tablet to wifi spot! I used recovery and system restore point, but it didn't help.

I really appreciate your help.

oh and yes in wireless mode, I can see different wifis, but when I click to connect, it tries "connecting" but fails as well.

A:Investigate router, access point issues

Do you use MS Update in Autoupdate? looking to see if you are 'current'.

get make/model of your WiFI device (see device mgr),
find the version of the existing driver, then
see if you can find a newer version; install it if found.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/investigate-router-access-point-issues.207216/
Relevancy 17.63%

Well I am accessing my remote router via and it works access work via phone, Remote PC doesnt via ok when I am using my Phone s Remote access ok via phone, doesnt work via PC browser chrome or IE on Samsung however when I am at computer at work I cant access my router I ran Tracert and I am getting up to hoops and th says quot Request timed out quot lt ms lt ms ms lt ms lt ms lt ms lt ms lt ms lt ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms Remote access ok via phone, doesnt work via PC ms ms ms border ge - unitedair- chg pnap net ms ms ms core te - -bbnet chg pnap net ms ms ms ae - chi ip gtt net ms ms ms xe- - - chi ip gtt net ms ms ms c-eth- - - -pe ecermak il ibone comcast ms ms ms he- - - - -cr ecermak il ibone comcast ms ms ms ms ms ms te- - - - -sur mortongrove il chicago com net ms ms ms te- - -cdn mortongrove il chicago comcas t Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Trace complete Anyone would know why it works on the phone and doesnt really go through all the way to the end nbsp

A:Remote access ok via phone, doesnt work via PC

Ok I have to ask first when you are using your phone is it always using mobile data or do you connect it at work via wifi? When reason that makes sense to me is at your work they maybe blocking the remote port. I guess it all depends on what you are using also. If you are just using standard RDP then they might be blocking port 3389. If you could give further information on how you are connecting remotely whether using software such as teamviewer or just standard RDP. Also how do you have your router configured. I can better understand witht is information thanks....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remote-access-ok-via-phone-doesnt-work-via-pc.206550/
Relevancy 18.06%

So I have a very strange issue with my laptop.
It's a Toshiba a665-06f
I7 [email protected]
8gb ram
500gb Samsung ssd
Running Windows 8.1 pro

I can't get into the bios it boots in less than 10 secs, I've even tryed removing the hdd to get it to boot to the bios but it just sits at a blank screen when I do that. I've tryed tapping the all the f keys the del and esc on start cant get into the bios or even the boot options. Other than not booting into the bois it works great.
Any ideas please?

A:Unable to access bios

"Other than not booting into the bios, it works great"... So this means you can boot into Windows normally, and use the laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-access-bios.206928/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello all,
Most of memories, RAM, ROM, HDD, DVD-RAM and others are
random access. What are some non random access memories please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/non-random-access-memory.206101/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello there,
I have seen that you are knowledgeable regarding pc, and have also seen tht you resolved successfully several threads.

I have a laptop and up to yesterday I could connect to the internet through wifi and cable. But today I cannot.

Here you can see my wifi.txt : https://www.dropbox.com/s/27g7g6xzqb8al1e/myWifi.txt?dl=0
and here my wired: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5nwfr6nwafoj1a/myWired.txt?dl=0
I uninstalled bitdefender to no avail.
Yesterday I was experimenting with this software: hotspot shield, bot revolt, ghostsurf. I uninstalled it yesterday and internet was working fine after that. I am just mentioning it.
I have win 8.1
I dont have any red in device mgr.

I am looking forward to your answer.
I hope you can help me
Kind regards
nisidotatos

A:Connected to internet, but no access

I'm posting a Win/8 solution solved in a private conversation. After proving that TCP could PING and use NSLOOKUP, it is time to suspect browser settings - - here's the solution:

jobeard said:

IE(9) -> Internet Options
General Tab
set homepage too www.google.com/

Security Tab
[x] enable protected mode

Connections Tab
at the bottom click Lan settings button
[x] Automatic detect settings SHOULD BE ON
[ ] auto script OFF
[ ] use a proxy OFF

Advanced Tab
[x] software rendering instead of GPU
Browsing
[x] disable script debugging (there's 2 of these)
HTTP 1.1
[x] both boxes
International
[x] send IDN names
[x] send UTF-8
Security
[x] check publisher revocation
[x] check certificate
[x] check signatures on downloads
[x] enable Windows Authentication
[x] enable memory protection
[x] use SSL 3.0
[x] use TLS 1.0
[x] use TLS 1.1
[x] use TSL 1.2
[x] warn certificate address mismatch
[x] warn if postClick to expand...

nisidotatos said:

It worked.
it was a problem here:
Connections Tab
at the bottom click Lan settings button
[x] Automatic detect settings SHOULD BE ON
[ ] auto script OFF
[ ] use a proxy OFF

the auto was off, and also a vpn required was on, which I deactivated.
It is working now.
This is great.
I thank you so much.
If you ever come to Greece, give me a call!!!Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-to-internet-but-no-access.205805/
Relevancy 17.63%

Okay next Monday (July 21st) I go in for a hernia operation, I am going to be laid up for awhile and thankfully I have a laptop I can use while recovering upstairs in my bedroom. I can access my Netgear router but the signal is not that strong (bedroom and downstairs office are on opposite corners).

So I have been pondering getting either an Access Point or a Extender for the upstairs but there are so many to choose from I am not sure what to choose nor what brand because the reviews are strongly mixed regardless of who the manufacturer is.

My Needs:
1. Both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz. I've looked at this one but I am not sure: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

2. Something simple to set-up.

3. It must work with WPA security. The above one I linked to, after firther research does not do well with WPA.

A:Access Point or Extender for Upstairs Wireless?

Really NEED 5ghz? dual band systems seem to impact the reliability AND the distance reached.
You could lock it down to use only 2.4Ghz and improve the reliability.

I solved my distance issue using an EoP device and then any WiFi router at the remote end.
That's TWO purchases; The EoP master/slave pair to get wired access into the remote location and then the WiFi router itself. I've always been partial to Netgear and bought their EoP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-point-or-extender-for-upstairs-wireless.203893/
Relevancy 18.06%

Someone help me please cannot access but can cable LAN wifi internet My It s urgent Windows IP Configuration Host Name kent-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description My wifi cannot access internet but LAN cable can Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS Physical Address - -A -AF- - E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR WB- NG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - -CA- - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a e b ec Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained June Lease Expires June Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -D - C- - - -CA- - - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap CB C E- EC - E - CD- BE B CDC Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap AA FDD -F C - BD - D -CEDB F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My wifi cannot access internet but LAN cable can

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wifi-cannot-access-internet-but-lan-cable-can.203495/
Relevancy 23.22%

I recently built this computer see other a thread on building a PC using Windows on a ssd drive and I used my sata drives for storage audio video The other drives folders using Can't 7 storage create Windows on drives are from my old system and they were set up for RAID I re-formatted the drives but now they automatically create a system info folder and a recycle bin folder I don t know why but Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7 I can t create a folder on these drives They are patitioned NTFS Does this have something to do with the RAID configuration from my old system I need to create folders to manage my projects but it will not allow it Also I installed Norton on the system I am using the internet for downloading programs I need once everything is going smooth I will no longer access the web with this PC The Norton has an error on it and when I try to fix it it gets stuck on trying to optimize the storage disk E My SSD is drive C with a partition D for B U the next drive is E Does anyone know what I am doing wrong Thanks to anyone who can speak to this problem nbsp

A:Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7

Which RAID Configuration are you in? I think you may have have it set up incorrectly. Depending on what RAID you are using will depend on how your drives can be used. Let us know what RAID you are running which you should be able to find this in your RAID control panel when you boot into it. Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-create-folders-on-storage-drives-using-windows-7.200888/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi been awhile since I last posted. In the house we have a desktop and 2 laptops on the go in the house.The desktop is wired internet while the laptops are run on wifi.This worked fine until my isp UPC upgraded my internet speed from 50mb to 120mb.. The desktop and one of the laptops still works fine but the acus laptop has web access for between 20 mins to 45mins before the wifi drops off and becomes limited access. The wifi needs to be renabled to regain access to the wifi which lasts another small while until it gets limited access again.

The laptop specs are:
Acus K53e
Windows 7 home premium 64bit
intel Centrino N100 wifi adapter
Ram 6gig

At the moment its running for 30 mins then wifi cuts off for a few seconds before starting up again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-gets-limited-access-after-period-of-time.201028/
Relevancy 18.49%

You've all prob solved this problem for a thousand other folks...
I cant access my Ext Hard Drive. It worked fine on my PC first time around. When I took it to my MAC it was read only. I reformatted the EHD so that I would be able to copy files from my MAC. Now I want to transfer some of the data back to my PC but I can no longer access the drive on my PC.

I've read some threads with related issue.
Drive shows up in Devices and Printers.
Drive shows up in Disk Partitions> Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions> but when I right click on the drive, "Change Driver Letter and Paths" option is greyed out.
Drive does not show up when I go to Start>diskpart>run as administrator>list volumes...

I know the data is on the drive and my computer somewhat recognizes the drive. But I cannot access to explore, save to , etc. Please help.

A:Can't access my Ext.HD

Try to retrieve the data from the external hard drive with a data recovery software by connecting it to mac and then format the Ext Hard drive before it is connected to your PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-my-ext-hd.200498/
Relevancy 17.63%

I have a client that has been asking me about a way to monitor internet activities or to get email addresses for people who use his wifi hotspots He owns a chain of restaurants and essentially wants a system page access? restaurant hotspot for Login that retrieves people s email addresses when they connect so he can send them promotional emails Personally I think this is a terrible idea but professionally I have to give him my opinion I was going to suggest that he have a sign in page that the router directs traffic to before it gives full connectivity to the user Login page for restaurant hotspot access? This page would Login page for restaurant hotspot access? have a user agreement that allows for sending promotional emails I ve seen these at airports and some other businesses and I hate them but this seems to be the least morally objectionable way to do what he s asking rather than implementing a shady web traffic monitoring system I m pretty sure all this would take would be to have the DHCP managed by a server that through the dns sends all traffic to a page that requires registering a login before granting full access to the network Has anyone done something like this themselves or have a suggestion for a method or application that aids in something like this Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/login-page-for-restaurant-hotspot-access.200163/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hello! I live in a college apartment (so no access to router). When I hook up my ethernet cable to my computer, all of my messengers work and are connected but I cannot use internet browsers. I recently reformatted my computer and was using a wireless adaptor, but here the internet is so slow that there's really no point and for a decent connection you need to be plugged into the wall. The wall connection worked fine until I reformatted.

This happened before when I moved to my first college and had to use the ethernet cable. I've done everything from messing around with internet explorer proxy settings and whatnot, but what did work was something I found in a thread. It instructed me to go somewhere and delete a file that was blocking the internet part, I guess? I deleted this setting/file and the ethernet connection worked just fine afterwards. I can't find this thread (probably not on this website) anymore. Does anyone here know possibly what the file was?

A:Help locating a file to help my ethernet work again

Check for optional Windows Updates, specifically a network driver. The most common name is Realtek.

And/or try installing this driver. - Software: Drivers & Utilities

If still no go, which computer do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-locating-a-file-to-help-my-ethernet-work-again.200022/
Relevancy 16.77%

I m working one replacing our file server at work The one we currently have was built around and is starting to show its age So I m thinking new server time The server will be for a copy shop that specializes in house plans and construction plans We store lots of large pdf and tiff files Also have a full service sign shop so lots of Illustrator and Photoshop files - may of the raster graphics are New server file FreeNas quite large ft x ft sign dpi takes up a lot of space New FreeNas file server The server will need to connect to - computers at any one time with upto printers amp copiers active on the network at any one time I already have a fairly decent switch with one port having gigabit Ethernet that the file server will be plugged into and there reset of the ports being megabit Ethernet ports of the files we work with are storage on the file server - form house plans to large commercial building plans to customer artwork and designs for both small format printing and large format They are loaded modified saved and printed while on the server I strongly discourage anyone storing files locally as there are no backups on the individual computers only on the file server Both local and through Crashplan Anyways onto the hardware I already have the process from another project that didn t pan out Intel Xeon E - V Ivy Bridge GHz Mobo SUPERMICRO MBD-X SCL-F-O Case Fractal Design Define R PSU Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG- M W ATX Ram Kingston GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR Server Memory Model KVR D E SK G HDD s Seagate NAS HDD ST VN TB x I plan to put the HDD into a Raid-Z which should give me about TB of space I have built several gaming computers and graphic design computers before but never a server I think I have a fairly good built here but would certainly welcome input from someone with more experience in this area than me nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-freenas-file-server.200039/
Relevancy 18.06%

HI I read the whole thing but I ve certainly gotten lost in a few parts I believe I have a similar issue I have laptop with windows and it ha dbeen connecting to wifi for almost a year already with no problem all of a sudden for the past few days it started showing the DAMN yellow triangle and its always quot no internet access quot cant surf the web but my iphone and my neighbour who im splitting the bill with are connecting just fine Also when connected to an ethernet cable it works it actually very clearly show the name of my wireless network with the words quot no internet access quot beneath and then the name of the wired network HOME b with the words quot internet access quot beneath and thats how im typing this right now I havent made any changes in the last two days I downloaded Advanced system care driver booster and malware fighter all from IObit but that was last week I dont see why it didnt make the wifi faili right away assuming it was that this just happened days ago the only thing downloaded by my brother was the facebook video callin add on which I uninstall already to rule it out I have ran ipconfig and as far as I understand which is not a lot internet with Laptop no access eveything seems to be in order dhcp is enabled I checked the Laptop with no internet access properties of the network and both the internet protocol TCP IPv and TCP IPv are enabled and set to automatically obtain IP address and DNS server ive tried other things here and there like uninstalling third party applications like apple BONJOUR and uninstalling avg which was expired anyway although it never gave me tha tissue before I also turned off windows firewall for a minute just to see but nothing works as soon as I unplug ethernet and connect to wireless it connects at first without the warning sign but as soon as I try to open a website it appears and fails surfing I dont know what to do I can copy the ipconfig results or anything you d like ONE MORE THING I CAN actually log in to the routers default gateway even while on wireless and no internet access displays Moderator note Moved out this thread - http www techspot com community t gh-ethernet-but-not-wifi post- nbsp

A:Laptop with no internet access

Advance System Care years ago used to be ok but tends to be mainstream and allows third party applications to install on there own if you are not careful. Get rid of anything Iobit related that is al junk I dont care what anybody says I remove it because after careful research Malwarebytes will tell you that it is malware. Anyway sounds like you could have an issue with a virus or malware being what you have downloaded. I would try to run malwarebytes to see if anything comes up if you are not familiar with it here is a link to download it. I understand you do not have internet so you will have to download it to a flash drive and run it on the computer. Post what it finds and we will go from there. If you can wire in and get internet let mek now that also. But it sounds like that wont work either due to the nature of your issue. http://ninite.com/malwarebytes/

Also what I would do is try to attempt a system restore back to when the first issue came up. That way you might be able to go back in time before the issues but if it is a virus this wont work. Just an idea./

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-with-no-internet-access.199753/
Relevancy 18.06%

Recently I pulled a dell dimension 5150 out of my basement, dusted it off and got it running again with xp sp2 (I only had the installation disk for that one). With one exception. I'm using an Ethernet cable going directly to my router and it says that I'm connected to 1394 at 400.0 Mbps (which I found to be rather surprising) but I cant activate my windows (I wiped the hard drive and re-installed) or access internet explorer so that I can get chrome. If you need any other information please let me know. I am currently posting this from my current computer which has wireless and is working fine.

EDIT: I am posting this from my current computer which has wifi

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-ethernet-connected-but-i-cant-access-the-internet.199726/
Relevancy 17.63%

I've a wired network at home like this:

Code:
Internet
|
ADSL Router
|
Dlink Switcher
|
I'm going to buy a new tablet (ASUS MeMO Pad Smart 10), which supports internet through wifi. I was wondering how can I share the internet access with the new device? What new devices should I buy and what changes are required to my network setup?

Thanks in advance.

A:How to share wired Internet access with WiFi device

I figured it out, I need an AP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-share-wired-internet-access-with-wifi-device.199110/
Relevancy 18.49%

I have a personal computer at the boarding school I attend Access Limited an Asus G VW and whenever I try to connect to the main internet connection it says limited access I have also tried using Ethernet and it says unidentified network with the Ethernet Here is my IPCONFIG ALL below I also have Windows if that helps --------------------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows Version c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Herman gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name ASUS Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List cefpub local Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address E- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description VPN Tunnel Adapter Physical Address -FF- B- - B- E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Anchorfree HSS VPN Adapter Physical Address -FF- -F - D- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address DC- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Connection-specific DNS Suffix cefpub local Description Qualcomm Atheros AR WB-EG Wireless Net work Adapter Physical Address DC- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc ba c f fc Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday December PM Lease Expires Monday December PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EE- B-E -DC- -DE- E-FC- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire Limited Access net Description Qualcomm Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Eth ernet Controller NDIS Physical Address - - D-EB-AA- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap cefpub local Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix cefpub local Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d abd a e ef f dd Prefer red Link-local IPv Address fe a e ef f dd Preferred Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EE- B-E -DC- -DE- E-FC- NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Users Herman gt nbsp

A:Limited Access

Well its probably the school network, do you have to register the machine with the network and enter passcodes etc. That sounds like it maybe the issue.

Also I would take down that stuff you posted with your subnet, IP, etc, its alot of personal information about your PC thats a little too much if you catch my drift.

Back on subject, I would first check if you have to register it or something first, then we can go from there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-access.198300/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi Everyone - I occasionally have to share a large file between one person and another for work I was using yousendit which worked site large closed Reliable Yousendit needed... file-sharing fine they have changed to be hightail and they have a blog - at their blog there are many comments circa oct about it now not working and being buggy So I don t want to go with that I am looking for current suggestions of a site for file sharing I am willing to pay a modest fee month like to know it will work well and Reliable large file-sharing site needed... Yousendit closed not junk up anyone s computer with any trashy downloader and is very simple to use - I cannot spend a lot of time teaching people with various levels of web savvy and computer savvy how to make an acct log in work some elaborate quot unique quot interface and so on I would prefer a service where an email goes to the recipient s email address they click on the link and from that easily select an option to download I am not sharing burned CDs or DVDs - I just need to share work-related audio recordings from the person recording to a transcriber When I look at reviews on the web it seems that services change a lot over time so I don t want to go for what had great reviews a year ago Please help with suggestions -Thanks nbsp

A:Reliable large file-sharing site needed... Yousendit closed

Look at shutterfly.com

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reliable-large-file-sharing-site-needed-yousendit-closed.197694/
Relevancy 14.62%

In Windows 8, whenever we copy any exe files to USB device/pen drive, there is an Interrupted Action dialog saying that "the file has properties that can't be copied to the new location". How to fix this issue?

A:Windows 8 File Copy "Interrupted Action" Issue

I missed to say that there is an easier alternative method to copy files with properties is by creating image of the files need to be copied. For example, iso, daa , bin, etc.
Even if we use alternate methods, we need an easy solution to fix the main issue without any tools or software.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-8-file-copy-interrupted-action-issue.196667/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hello,
About one weak ago unfortunately I wiped my internal storage and Iost my everything,
I tried to recover my data using hexamob android application(My device is samsung galaxy tab 8.9)
After two times trying, I recovered almost 32GB of data but almost all of them are in dbf format which I'm not familiar with, so I don't know if it is possible to recover these files to my images, movies, etc
Any helps desperately appreciated

A:Recovering a recovered file which is in dbf format

dbf files are used for Database storage - - you need the application that created them to access the data

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-a-recovered-file-which-is-in-dbf-format.196624/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi, I've been away camping for a couple of weeks and now that I'm back my desktop computer no longer connects to the internet. As I state in the title, however; the signal strength says it's "very good".

I've tried removing the connection and re-adding it, I've tried moving the wireless USB/removing and potential disturbances, but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

A:Signal strength: Very good, Access: Limited connectivity

Turn off the Modem
Turn off the Router
Turn off the PC
Turn off all network gear

Do this for 30 seconds.

Then slowly turn on the modem (DSL or Cable)
Then the router
Any switches
Then the PC
Then the rest of your network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/signal-strength-very-good-access-limited-connectivity.195843/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi guys,
I need some help. I have aseagate 1TB ext. hard drive. I cansee it as G drive bit cannot access the files. Strangely I did get the same issue some time back and I ran th seagate tools and the bad sector was resolved. This time I was trasfereing the video files and after completing the task the drive is visible in my computer but I cannot access the files. Whole lot of data is stuck and pretty important too. Kindly suggest a solution.
Windows 8 in use

Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-files.195769/
Relevancy 17.2%

My Dell laptop recently stopped connecting to the wireless router at my house. Every other device in the house that uses the internet connects perfectly, however my laptop says that is connected, but above that it says "Unidentified Network - No Internet access". I haven't installed anything new on it except the latest version of Java. It is a Windows 7 laptop and this problem has never happened before. How can I fix it so I can use the internet again?

A:My Dell laptop will not give me access to the internet via my wireless router

Hi Algeroch,

Click on the links below to troubleshoot and resolve Wired and Wireless Networking Issues on your Dell computer.

Wireless Networking for the Home: http://dell.to/105mWOZ
Wired Internet Connection for the Home: http://dell.to/122rnZ5

Please reply if you have further queries. We would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-laptop-will-not-give-me-access-to-the-internet-via-my-wireless-router.194606/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi. I use a 1tb external hard drive to store music, photos and movies. I use it on my Imac, also on my Asus e-book. I see that the external hard drive is partitioned into two. How or why I don't know. What I do know is that the first part is now full, and I cant see the second part when plugged into the USB on either computer. Could anyone help me by suggesting how I can access the second 500gig? Id appreciate answers in plain English, I really dont understand more than the basics, and the clearer ans simpler the answers the more I will learn, and thanks to all those about to read this !

A:Unable to access both partitions on external hard drive

Back-up all your data on the first partition.​
Right click on "My computer" and click "manage".This should take you to the computer management screen.​
Look at the left, you should see an option that says "Disk Management"; Click on it.​
You should be able to see all the disc partitions, find your External HDD partitions.​
Right-Click on the 2nd partition and delete it.​
After that right click on your first partition and select the option to "Extend Partition"​
​If you are confused, or need confirmation for anything please don't hesitate to ask.​

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-access-both-partitions-on-external-hard-drive.195074/
Relevancy 14.62%

Hey all new here Hoping for some advice Last night I was playing my games when suddenly my Bigfoot Network Adapter crashed I rebooted thrice attempting to have it come back to no avail I began using my Wireless adapter in its place The next morning I booted up to find that the Bigfoot Network Adapter had come back but with an issue My computer is showing that it is connected to the network and I can read all network computers and access copy write files to other systems on the network The issue is I have no internet on my computer I have tried booting multiple games with them crashing they never crashed as such before even with Internet' 'Access type: Internet no but no internet and tried even booting Skype which crashed when attempting to connect to the internet I m afraid I ve done some tweaking that I shouldn t have considering I was attempting to run my game with lowest ping But I ve only used installable proxy programmed such as SmoothPing and FixMyLag Any help would be appreciated Please PC Specs Intel Core i GHz GB Corsair Vengeance GB Vertex SSD Windows Ultimate SP If there s anything I ve missed do tell New to this fixing 'Access type: Internet' but no Internet stuff Cj nbsp

A:'Access type: Internet' but no Internet

Have you reinstalled your WLAN drivers?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-type-internet-but-no-internet.194794/
Relevancy 16.77%

I've got a SanDisk memory stick and I've used it for a couple of years and have had no trouble but recently 2 files (autorun and starter) have come up and I've tried to delete them and it wouldn't work, so I tried to open starter application but nothing happened.

Does anyone know how remove them?

A:Starter application and autorun file won't go away

You can always format the SD

another choice is to disable AUTORUN on you system

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/starter-application-and-autorun-file-wont-go-away.194684/
Relevancy 17.63%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

A:Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-access-only-with-wireless-using-windows-vista.194148/
Relevancy 18.06%

Good morning everyone,

My database at work has hit a snag. Whenever I open it I get this error (see attach.) Once I click on yes, it still does not open. It just shows the loading circle (Vista) constantly...

A colleague and myself are the only ones who use this database - it holds 17,000+ files that we have to track. Hers works fine, albeit slowly.

Any help out there with this one? Always appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-access-database-issues.194266/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello. I want to find out why Windows does this cheking to my Memory Card. It happened while booting. After "Checking file system on D:
The type of the file system is FAT32." and other stuffs like: "Unrecoverable error in folder \System Volume Information\catalog.wci.", or "\Sounds\FosterThePeople-PumpedUpKicks(ButchClancyRMX).mp3 first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated." and "Cross link resolved by copying.
\Images\IMG00502-20121218-1525.jpg is cross-linked on allocation unit 6984." After this proces Windows started normaly. I've cheked my documents on the card and found out that some images were damaged and some old music appeared, but only samples, from about 18 seconds to 56. I foud, also, a "BOOTEX.LOG" file, written in Notepad. Could you explain what happened, please? &sorry if there are some bad spelled words.

A:Checking file system on D: The type of the file system is FAT32

It perhaps got removed incorrectly while some programs still had the file data open/in memory. I'd pull everything off the card, format it, and put the data back.

What is the card in? Does it have to be FAT32? Could you use ExFAT instead?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/checking-file-system-on-d-the-type-of-the-file-system-is-fat32.193835/
Relevancy 17.63%

My Sengate T external HD it access initialize Can't -- won't external drive hard has been working for years It has vital back ups files movies docs etc I CANNOT AFFORD TO LOOSE ANYTHING I am a DJ and also have over tracks on there I was using the external HD on a Windows laptop and accidentally pulled the USB cable out of the port while it was loading and changing the quot Permissions for SYSTEM and Authenticated User quot on a specific file on my external HD When I plugged it back in the drive showed up on my computer as normal but would Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize not open After reading a few posts I went to the device manager deleted the drivers for the external HD then when I Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize plugged it back in it updated the drivers and told me me my device is now working properly and ready to use and my drivers are up to date But now it wont show up on my Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize computer at all I went into disk management and the Disk had an icon with a picture of a HD with a red arrow facing down in a white circle under Disk it says Unkown empty line Not Initialized I then right clicked and it said offline When trying to get it back online it says quot The system cannot find the file specified quot In the properties under Volumes it says Disk Disk Type Unknown Status Not Initialized Partition style Not Applicable Capacity MB Unallocated space MB Reserved space MB When I try to Initialize Disk it says quot The system cannot find the file specified quot I have tried it on every port and on a different PC running Vista as well as on my TV which now says quot no USB device plugged in quot PLEASE HELP I NEED TO FIX THIS or at least find a way to BACK IT UP and transfer ALL the data onto another drive nbsp

A:Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize

Similar thing happened to me.. I'd love to hear an answer on how to recover the data as some of it is rather important.. Good luck DJC, I'll check back in and hopefully we will have our files back!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-external-hard-drive-it-wont-initialize.189277/
Relevancy 17.63%

Objects available : Laptop with windows vista(32 Bit Home Basic SP 2)
: iPAD
: Tata Docomo internet data card

PROBLEM : I connect to internet via data card on my laptop. I want to share this internet connection on my iPAD which I am not able to do.

After connection to internet via data card on laptop, I created a wireless ad hoc connection. Which creating ad hoc connection I do not get the option of " SHARE INTERNET".
On iPAD this network is detected and the iPAD connects to this network.
On Laptop it is then shown this way :-

MY LAPTOP -------------------- MULTIPLE NETWORKS ----------------- INTERNET

But still the internet on iPAD doesnt get activated.

Plz help. ...

A:Access data card internet on laptop through wifi

GOT THE SOLUTION.!!!
After extensive search on the internet, I got 1 solution. Unchecking the option "ALLOW SHARE OF CONNECTION" in properties of the data card internet. Then setting up of an ad hoc connection, will get the option "SHARE INTERNET CONNECTION".

Thank You

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-data-card-internet-on-laptop-through-wifi.193231/
Relevancy 17.63%

I m hoping to get some help on this because I ve spent hours and hours during the last days trying to fix this problem on my own No luck Please I m trying to connect to a public wifi network at home on my laptop Lenovo ThinkPad and while it shows that the computer none but Unidentified network. Packets No access. internet set received. is connected to the network it shows quot unidentified network no internet access quot and I Unidentified network. Packets set but none received. No internet access. m unable to go online My housemate has a Mac laptop and it connects without any problems When I go to quot Wireless Network Connection Status quot it shows that packets have been sent but received Operating System is Windows bit This is what I get from the ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Dasha-THINK Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Mixed IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address - - E-EE- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description b g n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II Physical Address - - E-EE- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ecbc a a e Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -D - F- F- - - E-BB-C -B DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address - - E-BB-C -B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes As you can the default gateway is blank I run McAfee and I already tried disabling the firewall and then uninstalling McAfee thinking it s the cause of my problem but nothing changed When I try to ping I get lost and packets sent and received I hope someone will be kind enough to offer some ideas Thanks nbsp

A:Unidentified network. Packets set but none received. No internet access.

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.161.62(Preferred)Click to expand...

that's the problem - - not attached to your router.
"Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed" is typically the reason.

save the attached file to disk and rename by removing the .TXT suffix

double click and allow the change.

disconnect the ethernet cable, wait 30 seconds and then reattach it

+30 seconds more and repeat the IPCONFIG /ALL

you should see Note Type hybrid and a real IP address

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unidentified-network-packets-set-but-none-received-no-internet-access.193127/
Relevancy 16.34%

I recently started using a gigabit switch alongside my TP-Link router.

My room is setup like a LAN area, with a desk long enough for 4 pc's, so I have 4 cables running from the switch to the computers.

My router is providing DHCP and has a PS3 and VOIP phone plugged up to it.

Is there anything blaring that would cause the machines not to transfer files at gigabit speeds? Currently they transfer at 10-12mbps, which is normal for a 10/100 connection.

Anything I'm missing?

I can get into a lot of detail, but I need to know what needs to be told.

A:Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

Weakest link in the chain prevails.

Code:

ISP=Router--switch-- PC{1+}
|
+--- other device(s)

Consider just devices attached to the router, the slowest Nic {wired or wifi} will control the bandwidth to the device. A PC with a 10/100 adapter dominate data to/from it regardless of the GB Switch. If PC.a and PC.b (both with GB adapters and attached to the switch) copy 'twix each other, you may get much better performance.

Data to/from other devices (attached to the router) will be dominated by the Router LAN port speeds or the devices themselves.

99% of us get no benefit whatsoever from GB routers or Switches as all devices need GB ratings :sigh:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-routing-using-a-switch-for-file-transfers.192722/
Relevancy 18.06%

Last week, I has a good time with my families and taken some great photos.
But, unfortunately, after plunging SD card into my laptop, it became really weird.
It was continuously telling me to format this SD card every time I attempted to open it in My Computer. But, I could see there is still 1GB data.
How could I access these photos without formatting?

A:How could I access these photos without formatting?

If you format the card, you will lose your photos and everything else on it for sure. I don't know if this will help but instead of plugging the card into the laptop directly, try leaving the SD card in the camera and use a cable (that should have come with the camera) to connect the camera to a USB port on the laptop. Refer to your camera manual for specifics but I don't think you need to install any software.

If this doesn't work, your SD card may have failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-could-i-access-these-photos-without-formatting.192435/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi all,

I have a Micro SD card (4GB). When I put it to my computer (windows 7 ultimate 32-bit) from USB port, I can't access into it. And writes "Removable disk G:" (like below image) and doesn't show other specifications of that volume. And when I double click on it, a pop up window appears and says "Please insert a disk into removable disk G:". I used some commands line "chkdsk /f G:" in command prompt window, but it also writes "can not open volume for direct access". And also right click does not work on that volume for format it. In the command prompt also formatting results the same for chkdsk /f g: as message unfortunately.

Is there any way to access into that volume?
Thank you.

A:Cannot access to a MicroSD card

Is "removable disk G" there all the time? Often times card readers just show up in My Computer whether anything is in there or not.

What happens if you remove and insert the card while having Disk Management open? Does anything change in there?

Can you connect the device that uses the card to the computer through a USB cord? Is the card readable that way?

If those all fail, then, I'd suggest finding out what card reader it is and downloading the drivers for it (just in case) and then deleteing it through device manager and rebooting.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-to-a-microsd-card.192317/
Relevancy 17.63%

I've got a guy who wants to double password protect his wifi. I know that having strong encryption, and a long password with alpha-numeric and non-alpha-numeric characters would work better for him, but I'm not sure I can convince him of that. Is there a way that I can require two passwords to get into a wireless network?

A:Can I require two passwords to access a wireless network?

I dont think it is possible unless you invest in some expensive hardware such as those at businesses (where you need to login on a login page).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-require-two-passwords-to-access-a-wireless-network.192153/
Relevancy 17.2%

I run Windows WD MyPassport TB Problems first started about halfway into a Vuze transcode for a movie the randomly External WD HD denied messages. giving me access My started is original file and the transcode folder are both on the drive First it wasn t letting me My WD External HD randomly started giving me access is denied messages. right-click delete rename the option for those wasn t on the right click list but everything else was I restarted and still the same I did the Check Disk in the HD menu I ticked the recover bad sector box and it wasn t moving didn t feel like waiting so I stopped it My WD External HD randomly started giving me access is denied messages. and afterwards anything I tried to do gave me quot access is denied quot I forgot that I had formatted it into ExFAT so my TV would recognize it and I had movies files were gig in size which might cause problems It says under the security tab it is quot unable to display current owner quot I would really rather not format it s not even letting me select it for lack of privileges but if that s all I can do then so be it It s saying it has no used space or available space its half full nbsp

A:My WD External HD randomly started giving me access is denied messages.

I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it seemed to work, it said there was something wrong with it still and promted me to do another check disk scan which said there were no problems (I didnt select the "bad sector" option) (durr!) but I remember it doing something similar before, should I format it back to NTFS, Is that what is causing the problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wd-external-hd-randomly-started-giving-me-access-is-denied-messages.191994/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi, my sister accidentally pressed something in the router- (she things it was the repeater setting) now, I can no longer access the router. I still have internet access but I can't seem to access the router.

I tried searching via the cmd line. ipconfig /all and I got this:

Host name.... : xxxxx
Primary Dns Suffix...... (blank)
Node Type..... Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled.... NO
WINS Proxy Enabled... NO

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
(disconnected)

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix.... : (blank)
Description......... Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

the confusing part was the Default gateway shows : 49.144.0.1 but the default router was supposed to be 192.168.1.1... it's beyond my google-fu powers.

A:Can access internet but can't access router

Your (all) routers always have two addresses; the public address (like 49.144...) give it by the ISP and the private LAN address (like 192.168.1.1 which is very typical).

To access and configure your router, place the LAN address of the router into your browser as a url and hit enter.
You should get a prompt for the router user-id/password.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-access-internet-but-cant-access-router.191927/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi,
I used my computer to transfer back up files from an old hard drive to a brand new one. I did not open the individual files, just cut/pasted them onto the new drive. Well the new drive dies on me and I no longer have the old drive.
I was wondering if my computer copied the files onto itself during the transfer process and if it did, is there any way I can recover them?
Any assistance you can provide will be appreciated.

A:File transfer/copy

Ouch; Especially for large transfers, file movement from media{a} -> media{b} use no intermediate cache or temp files. IMO, unless CHKDSK c: /F /R can fix the new drive, I think you're in deep dodo.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-transfer-copy.191860/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have a asus a8n delexe sli which gaves the above error when I do alt f2 on post to enter the flash utility. I was driven to reinstall bios or upgrade it because I am getting freezing; reboot issues; missing drivers; unrecognised hardware issues etc. I have swapped out drives, video cards, reinstalled OS and even swapped PSU to no avail. So has my motherboard just had it?
I folllowed asus instructions and copied the bios to a floppy disk and tried to flash from that. Although I copied all three files in the downloaded zip so I presume it would select the exe file automatically. I will download again. Should it work if I copied to a blank CD? I presume the bios would automatically pull the exe from any device besides the hard drive? I get this error with or without the floppy inserted?

A:BIOS image file check sum error

Did you finally get this solved?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-image-file-check-sum-error.190931/
Relevancy 17.2%

Our internet goes from:

Comcast modem to a
Dlink DIR-655
To computers or through a switchbox to other parts of the house
In the basement, is another switch box, and off that switchbox is,
Belkin 85c Wireless router, that we use as an access point
Works well but it says it has the ability to have a guest login, that will allow visitors to get to the internet, but are blocked from our LAN.

I've spent hours trying to set the guest login up, the access point can be seen by a computer/etc, but when they connect, they cannot get to the internet.

the windows 7 computers try to set up an unidentified public network.

I'm sure there is something very simple I am missing, but I've got close to 20 hours invested in it, and need to protect my network.

the Windows 7 notebook said that it could not connect with a "homegroup".

A:Belkin 85c wireless router, used as an access point. Guest setup?

Hmm; I cant find "Belkin 85c Wireless router" on the Belkin Support site - -
Are you sure of that make/model number?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/belkin-85c-wireless-router-used-as-an-access-point-guest-setup.190913/
Relevancy 23.65%

I inserted my USB in a friend's laptop and I noticed that they all turned into .exe files. I figured it was only because my friend's laptop was very slow and I think it is infected. But when I inserted the USB back to my laptop, the folders remained as .exe. My laptop is probably clean (undergoing a Redirect malware cleaning as of the moment) but I haven't encountered any problems like this before. I can't format my USB because I need the files. Please help.

A:Folders turned to .exe files

I have scanned my USB with MSE and results show it had Trojan:Win32/Startpage.gen!A virus and MSE quarantined them.
I still can't access my folders even if I type it on the address bar. No malicious items show up on MBAM. Please help me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/folders-turned-to-exe-files.190262/
Relevancy 18.06%

My problem is I cant open the drive. But in My Computer window, it did display the drive but I cant do anything. Windows prompt me to format the disk which I already did but I got this popup "cannot open volume for direct access".

These are the solutions that I tried but failed:-

Use TestDisk but it doesnt even detect the drive.
Disk Management also didnt detect the drive.
Already used Command Prompt to repair the disk. It display this "Cannot open volume for direct access" which I run it as admin.

Here I provide a screenshot for reference.

A:Cannot open volume for direct access

Hmm; that's the primary partition with Windows on it - - can never format or partition the C:\ while booted from it

WHY are you attempting this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-open-volume-for-direct-access.189735/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have 2 computers both running windows xp sp3. Both computers have all of the same services running and startup. Both computers are on the same network and CAN access the public documents folder from the server. However, only 1 computer can access the external network drive. The other gets an error of no permission to access it. Why can 1 access the external network drive and not the other? They both have the same configuration except being the same brand of computer. The network has 2 other clients running windows 7 which work fine. The server is running windows 7. None of the computers are running a firewall or other security. Any ideas?

A:Can't access eternal network drive

Are they logged in using the same user?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-eternal-network-drive.189275/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi I am using a transcend pen drive to transfer files between my netbook and desktop, both with XP when I delete folder from the pen drive while connected to the desktop, it shows the pen drive as empty and thereafter I "safely remove" the pendrive. however, when I insert it into the netbook, it shows the data still present. if I now re-insert it into the desktop, it shows the data again. ?? btw if I delete it when connected to the netbook, it stays deleted and does not show up again! what gives? I have emptied the recycle bin too. am wondering if there are some settings I need to change. I just got a new desktop and am transferring my data onto it from the netbook! thanks, appreciate any answers in advance!

A:Delete file in pen drive

Likely you need to ensure that the pen-drive has the NTFS permission for <everyone> to be full control.

Use any Administrator Login, insert the Pen Drive, right click the pen-drive-letter -> Properties->Security

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/delete-file-in-pen-drive.188509/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi all

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct place, Mods please move if not, thanks.

So, I have a bit of a problem. I accidentally deleted the wrong folder from our work server yesterday (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard), but we have a nightly backup to a tape drive so I went onto the backup software (Symantec Backup Exec 2012) to restore the data. However, using the restore wizard it has been "Querying for data" for approximately 12 hours... is this normal?? Is it possible to restore files/folders from a tape backup, or would we have to restore the whole system? Do I just need to wait a long time for the system to find the data?

We have a spare 2Tb NAS drive so I could potentially restore all of the data to this (approximately 600gb), would this be a more viable approach?

Thanks in advance

A:Restoring files/folders from tape backup

Never mind, sorted now

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/restoring-files-folders-from-tape-backup.187491/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi,
I have wireless connection in my room and its working good.but I tried to connect through wire but am unable to do.when I connect lan cable to my lap from D-Link router it shows "UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK - NO NETWORK ACCESS"....Any one can help me to solve this issue

A:No network access

Turn your wireless adapter off on the laptop. Try rebooting the modem and router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-network-access.185980/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have home network with two PCs, one running win 7 and the other running win xp, we share files and so forth normal network stuff and also the same modem, but recently the Pc running win 7 wont connect to the internet while there is internet access on the win xp,normally I would just disable the LAN adapter and it would work nut after we shut down it comes back with the same problem and upon disabling it doesn't work anymore.

A:Network connected but no Internet access

What type of network adapter do you have in the Windows 7 PC?

(Brand, etc.)

~Alex

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-connected-but-no-internet-access.185729/
Relevancy 17.2%

I know enough about computers to follow advanced instructions but ive never dealt with WHATEVER my friend did to my computer and I dont really care but I need to reformat it and save read backup the hard drive heres exactly whats up simplified and I need a explanation of how to -Computer can turn on but it wont do anything - you cannot hold F or delete or anything because not even the first text appears - I cannot get a disk USB or anything else to boot from because it cannot get that far in loading what a basic computer is to even do that - it hard method access a externally drive to Explain computers can not respond to any kind of keyboard or mouse input and stays completly black altho a diffrent shade of black from either a off moniter or a Explain method to externally access a computers hard drive powered moniter with a off computer so I know the moniter is getting SOMETHING just nothing that does anything -it is not a faulty video cord it works fine on other computers I own and trying other monitors cords doesn t Explain method to externally access a computers hard drive work either -I have plenty enough space to do it the wrong way and install another OS while one is already installed and boot from that to backup the hard drive but the computer clearly cant even show anything let alone receive disk information or mouse or keyboard input to hit next anyway so that option is null -It is not overheated or underheated nor is it fan ishues or anything else stupid its clearly however more then a virus not to say a virus is also not present but unless some uber tier virus hit the net recently a virus is not the cause nor does it matter -I want to either preferably without taking it apart access the harddrive from another computer I have pretty much any cord it would require or to put it diffrently I have never needed a cord I did not own in the last year -I asume sence it stays powered on altho it doesn t do anything past that that the harddrive and disk drive the computer has are readable it just cant do anything about because it cant load anything to do anything so I asume theres some method to plug the computer itself into another computer and access the hard drive as a external or something to access it from another computer short of taking apart my computer with a screwdriver how do I access the hard drive externally and no I do not want someone to reply take it to a future shop or something thanks in advance I have never had a computer that couldn t emit video or rather cant even get to the process to emit video and honestly have no idea how to fix it il just reformat nbsp

A:Explain method to externally access a computers hard drive

Lets slow down and backup for a bit. You don't even need a hard drive in the system for it to post a screen. Unless you are simply trying to recover data, taking the drive out and connecting it to another computer is not going to gain you anything.

Disconnect the power cord from the power supply.
Take out all cards within the PC. If you don't have on-board graphics keep the graphics card in the PC.
Disconnect all drives, DVD's and HDD's.
Take out your memory modules so you can test them one at a time.
Pull out the coin size motherboard battery and put it back a few minute later.
Insert a memory module (try a different module later if you have more than one).
Make sure the monitor is connected
Connect the power cord to the power supply
Try and boot the system and then let us know what you see happening.

Are there any lights blinking or illuminated?
Are the fans spinning?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/explain-method-to-externally-access-a-computers-hard-drive.184910/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi. Since a recent malware infection I have been unable to access one of the PCs on my home network. The PC shows up in the Network device list and maps but I get the 0x80070035 error message when attempting to connect to it. I can't ping it from either of the other two machines on the network even with its firewall disabled. I have searched many forums for a solution and followed all the recommended courses of action but have so far been unsuccessful. I have full access to the network from the problematic machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Cannot access Vista PC on LAN

need more info on the " 0x80070035 error message"

get a command prompt and enter EVENTVWR.MSC
open the SYSTEM LOG and look for ERROR events
Find the first one, double click to see the details
*IF* it is your 0x80070035 error, click the little document icon below the down arrow
(which copies the data to your clipboard). Come back to this thread, reply and PASTE
the content

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-vista-pc-on-lan.184218/
Relevancy 14.62%

hi all my daughter has told me she used to press the email button on her laptop and access her emails now it doesnt access the emails sorry not uch info .but does anyone have a clue what is wrong or what I could do or try thanks

A:Can't access email from email button

Does the laptop come w/ a program to customize keyboard settings? Maybe that a look at that. My Logitech keyboard came w/ a program called Setpoint which allows me to choose what email program to open when the button is pressed. I had an eMachine keyboard w/ an email button that opens up the default email program. So that's something else to check. Maybe the computer forgot what the default email program is.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-email-from-email-button.183234/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi to all. I am not sure if this is the correct board to post my problem to! I apologize if I am wrong.

I save my picture albums in external storage device. Its the memory of an entire lifetime, my school, highschool and all. Now I opened it after many days to find that many of the JPEG files are showing 'X' although their properties are showing appropriate file size. If I try making a slideshow, it says 'No preview available'. I have tried opening it with MS Office Picture Manager and Adobe Photoshop 7 but of no avail. I have tried to look it up on google and tried repairing the images using a few free online picture repair tools, but it says no data available or something. Please help me resurrect those images. I dont understand what could possibly go wrong with them! I use Windows XP home. They are very valuable to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

A:JPEG file error

can you open ANYTHING on that external device?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/jpeg-file-error.183222/
Relevancy 18.06%

I am trying to get the wifi access point list nearby.I am using iwlist command but the result different each time each time I get the different list. Can anyone tell that what is the reason behind that as I think that while sitting at the same place result of iwlist should be same.
an other thing ,what does it men by quality and cell in ilwist response.
any helpful link ,reading material and guide line will be highly appreciated.
Ooo yes I am using ubuntu linux.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-points-list.182614/
Relevancy 18.06%

I get my internet through GVEC which is the electric company in my area. I live out in the country so this is the best I can get. It seems like every hour I lose internet access and I have to reset the router and or disable my NIC and re-enable it. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, I'll lose connection. I normally thought it was either the ISP or the router, but it still broadcasts wireless internet even while my computer doesn't have internet access which has RJ-45 connection to it. I replaced my NIC thinking it was that, but it still happens. I even have updated drivers. Can anyone shed some light on this or know what's going on to help me solve this issue?

A:Losing Internet access frequently

Have you talked to your GVEC electric company about this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/losing-internet-access-frequently.181868/
Relevancy 17.63%

Not sure if this should be in the OS section but here we go Can I use ubuntu to access my windows hard drive data I have a great deal of videos and photos on my hard drive with windows installed I need to reinstall windows it is having a array of troubles I will not get into those though Part of those troubles is windows not recognizing my new tb HD or any new USB device my hard Can access I Windows use to Ubuntu drive? 7 If it did backing up would be a piece of cake BUT my question is can I use Ubuntu which I just recently installed to store my stuff from windows on my new tb HD I want to simply grab my videos and Can I use Ubuntu to access my Windows 7 hard drive? photos using Ubuntu and throw them on my new tb hd then I plan to format and reinstall windows on my old gb HD I am not familar with Ubuntu how do I do this I looked around and mounted my new HD on Ubuntu but didn t get any farther then that Perhaps another option would be to install windows on my new tb HD with dual boot and then grab my stuff from my data from my old gb HD Can I even do either of these solutions Lastly where can I download windows again I got it when it came out and my download through microsoft from what I can tell expired I of course still have my key I bet there is somewhere on microsoft to download windows I am just not seeing No I do not want to go to the pirate bay or something and download windows I am sure there is a legit way to download a legal copy little help nbsp

A:Can I use Ubuntu to access my Windows 7 hard drive?

Use Knoppix is simple. See step 2 How to recover your folders/files when Windows won?t boot.
I think you'll need to find someone with an install CD and use your own activiation number to reinstall

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-use-ubuntu-to-access-my-windows-7-hard-drive.181377/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have a file that I converted from laser disc to AVI. The total length was 20 gig but cut in two pieces. I transfered the files to a Seagate 1 Tarabyte hard drive for storage but now cannot get it to fully transfer back to any PC. The bigger part of the two is over 15 gigs and when there is about 9 gigs left the transfer stops.

Is there any way to get this out or fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

A:Video file not transfering completely out of my external hard drive

Are you using Windows built in copy program or a 3rd party tool?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-file-not-transfering-completely-out-of-my-external-hard-drive.180824/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey guys, I'm new here
I'm having a problem. My hard drive has like 6 folders. Each one containing different stuff like Word documents for school and such and movies and music. Non of the folders are opening except for the music folder. When I click on the folder for movies it says---> "Windows cannot find 'F:RECYCLER\e621ca05.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."
-_______________- Seriously? What name? I didn't type anything.
My hard drive's name is "My Passport (F)". This is so frustrating!!! Please help.
Thanks a million <3
Buttercupsx
xXx

P.S: Those random questions at the end are annoying. I failed a bunch of em. Hehehe don't judge.

A:Hard drive won't open folders help!

Sounds like the folder you are trying to open is referencing a path that does not exist. Try the drive in another computer, try the drive in a different Operating system - see if the issue is still there. The drive might be failing or the data on it is corrupt. try downloading the WD diag utility for windows & test the drive. http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=218&sid=171&lang=en Post back!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-wont-open-folders-help.179647/
Relevancy 17.63%

So I left my computer on for a routine virus scan yesterday and when I logged into the issue & timeouts URL-access, latency Slow gaming Star Wars Online game today I noticed huge latency spikes dropping my latency from ish to frequently When I tracert google com my request always seems to timeout after the th hop Code C Dokumente und Einstellungen Imposter gt tracert google com Routenverfolgung zu google com ber maximal Abschnitte lt ms ms lt ms ms ms ms lo br ber de hansenet net ms ms ms ge- - - - pr ber de hansenet net ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms Zeit berschreitung der Anforderung ms ms ms bk-in-f e net Slow URL-access, timeouts & gaming latency issue Ablaufverfolgung beendet Since my computer was online the whole time I didnt change any configuration since then Can anyone point me into the right direction Windows XP SP Provider O Germany Alice Modem Siemens provided by my Provider Router NETGEAR WGR v but connection is wired nbsp

A:Slow URL-access, timeouts & gaming latency issue

Issue with your ISP? Call them and see if they are having any issues, if not, make sure nothing on your computer is using the network heavily (something like Pando Media Booster, it has been known to slow internet connections)

Torrent programs do the same thing, or can.

But otherwise, reset your modem/router, let them sit for 30-45 seconds and start them back up. See if the issue is resolved.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-url-access-timeouts-gaming-latency-issue.180634/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi I m hoping someone can help as I ve spent many evenings on access cannot allocated Flash not drives being and letter drive this problem and getting nowhere Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access When attaching a flash drive The autoplay pop up doesn t appear The device does light up initially The device doesn t show up in quot Computer quot The device doesn t show up in Disk Management - just Disk system reserved C and I and CD ROM The device appears in Device Manager under USB controllers as a storage device but I can t access it This happens with all memory sticks and occasionally with ipod etc but sometimes for no apparent reason they work All devices works ok with other computers times out of plugging in a device or turning on the USB attached printer will cause the computer to BSOD usually with IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL X A Devices are never allocated a drive letter The only thing I can think of is that I repartitioned the external hard drive which I attach to back up which may have confused the computer with driver numbers Possibly But this problem doesn t seem to have stemmed from then And I did fiddle with the System Reserved drive as I had back up issues and one of the solutions was Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access to rename it then I renamed it back again I think Sorry if I m vague on this but I m not at all computer savvy and the kids are Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access trying to access their homework on the memory sticks I m running Windows Home -bit Avira anti virus and the computer is about months old working ok until a month ago Can t think that we downloaded anything about the same time as the problem started but possible I ve tried to update all drivers that I can think of but the only one that needed doing was the Nvidia GeForce which was outdated All devices etc say they are working properly Anybody got any ideas But keep it simple if poss please Thanks nbsp

A:Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access

Have you tried Uninstalling the Mass Storage Device that shows up in Device Manager? sometimes reinstalling it can fix issues like this.

Do they work properly after a fresh restart?
Do they stop working after being in standby/sleep?

Other suggestion would be to reinstall Chipset Drivers and USB Drivers if your motherboard has seperate USB Drivers (Generally only for 3.0 boards)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-drives-not-being-allocated-drive-letter-and-cannot-access.179377/
Relevancy 15.48%

I was running Win XP which finally failed and I was able to enter in safe mode (only, no networking) and ran all the tests I could think of. Hard drive is ok and so I attempted to repair WinXP from the installation CD. However, the PC failed to shut down and restart so I eventually force closed it. Now it won't even load past the initial black windows screen, don't even get the option of going into safe mode.

Is there any way I (or someone) could access the hard drive to retrieve the data? I guess I could reinstall the OS but don't want to do that yet as I'll definitely lose the data.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Win XP failed, repair failed -- can I access hard drive?

Sure, there are many ways. Depending on what you want in the end decides how to proceed.

If you have a lot of space free on the drive, you could boot off a linux dvd and create a new partition. You'd have to shrink the existing, then make a new one. Then you could just copy over the data from the old one to the new one. Then reinstall windows onto the old partition, and copy your stuff back (then delete the partition and expand the remaining to fill the rest of the space).

You can also just boot off a linux disk and copy it to a thumb drive or whatever.

Or you could remove the hard drive and place it in another computer.

Also, I'm not convinced you lose the data if you install Windows again. I'm pretty sure you can install without formatting the drive. Your programs won't work, but it shouldn't overwrite any of your data. This is a non-ideal solution though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-failed-repair-failed-can-i-access-hard-drive.179446/
Relevancy 18.06%

I brought home a pair of Cisco AG series Access Points from work because the office is getting new ones I wanted to know if I could use one at home with my existing wireless router etc I don t have a lot of knowledge on how to configure these devices and I haven t had too much luck finding the answers I need Anyways I have one of the AP s set upstairs with Ethernet running down to my wireless router downstairs The on help Need access point adding WLAN router is a pretty basic Linksys WRT G that I ve had for awhile and should be compatible with any AP correct My problem other than not fully understanding how the access points work is the unit access point is detected by my wireless devices but they can t connect It appears as quot Need help adding access point on WLAN other network quot in available connections alongside my home network router Are they supposed to be one in the same or different IP addresses I downloaded and installed Cisco IP Setup Utility IPSU to try and configure the device but each time I try to put in the SSID I get an invalid error What exactly is the SSID on the access point supposed to be The same as my home network or router s SSID nbsp

A:Need help adding access point on WLAN

The SSID password is your home network's password.

I have a D-Link access point that I setup differently. It is connected by wire to my PC (through the built-in motheboard LAN port) and wirelessly to my router in another room. I configured the AP via my browser by typing in the AP's IP in the address bar to access the AP's configuration interface. From there I can access the various networks that are present, find mine, type in the password (for my home network). Save the settings and I'm done. You will need to know your device's IP to connect to it. You can probably get it from the manufacturer's website if you can find the manual for it there.

I'm not an expert in these matters and can barely configure my own AP but you can use any PC to configure the AP. Once configured the AP can be plugged into the LAN port of any PC, laptop or game console to access the internet wirelessly from your wireless router without further configuring. I have several PCs but I only use a couple at a time so when it is time to rotate an idle PC into activity all I have to do is to connect the AP to the PC's LAN port along with the power cord, monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, etc. and it's done. This way I don't need separate wireless adapters installed in each PC I own.

The way you have yours setup sounds like you are using the AP as a range extender. I don't have experience setting one of those up so I can't specifically help you with that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-adding-access-point-on-wlan.178001/
Relevancy 17.63%

I have a dell vostro 1500 needing a fresh install of xpi got from a friend who had for some reason taken it all the way apart and when he put it back together the screen stayed black when you turned it on. i fixed that, but the keyboard will not work at all so i can't access the bios to change boot order. I have taken back apart and everything seems intact. I am assuming a usb keyboard will not kick on in time to let me access it either. . . so i am stuck

A:Can't access BIOS on Dell laptop because keypad isn't working

"I am assuming a usb keyboard will not kick on in time to let me access it either"...

Try this before you say you are stuck... Keyboards are cheap. Check them out on EBay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-bios-on-dell-laptop-because-keypad-isnt-working.177633/
Relevancy 16.34%

Ok, I am about to setup a server used for file syncing and an online db (like SQLite or something?) anyway, I also wanna have Fedora running on it..

I guess I can just get any server and install what I want + make it do what I want it to do, but what server(s) and/or system specs should I be specifically looking at for doing those things better than other servers?

A:File sync + online DB buying advice

Depends. Do you actually need a server?

Are we talking about a dedicated server in a datacenter, or are you building a server at home/work and using it connected to the internet there?

You need to tell us what you want to do with the server. If its a dedicated server, what do you plan to do with it? Monthly bandwidth, unique visitor numbers, number of sites, etc.

For homeserver, again, what is your intended usage. Your current post is far too vague to give any realistic answer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-sync-online-db-buying-advice.177063/
Relevancy 17.2%

I just built my first PC last week and things have been fine for the most part A few little problems here and there though This might be a little long-winded but I would rather give as ASRock Extreme 3 BIOS can't Computer though. boots fine Gen -- 3 anymore. access many details as possible My problem started ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 -- can't access BIOS anymore. Computer boots fine though. with finally organizing my cables and peripherals I plugged in my external hard drives different Seagate drives into rear USB ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 -- can't access BIOS anymore. Computer boots fine though. connectors ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 -- can't access BIOS anymore. Computer boots fine though. and when I booted up my computer kept going straight to BIOS without me touching any buttons I would try to exit BIOS and start windows but I would keep looping back to BIOS everytime When I unplugged them before I booted up my pc would be fine I could also access the data on the drives when I plugged them in after the boot I posted somewhere else about my issues and someone recommended disabling my usb and usb legacy support They also recommended updating my BIOS if it wasn t up to date Sure enough I went into my BIOS and my version was newest version is While I was in BIOS I disabled my USB and USB legacy support Saved and exited and my computer booted up I downloaded the windows option for BIOS and tried to run it but I kept getting quot Error Firmware does not have flash AFUWINGUI support quot So one question would be is this error a big deal I m not going to try to install it from windows so I feel like it won t matter After doing a little research I now see many people recommending not to do a windows installation of BIOS I should be flashing it with a USB drive I downloaded the flash version and put it on a USB thumb drive in FAT format like ASRock suggested When I turned on my computer I attemped to enter the BIOS by tapping F Windows ended up starting without going to BIOS I tried this several times as well as F F F and DEL but nothing seemed to get me into my BIOS So this is where I stand now I can t access my BIOS and my PC automatically boots to Windows even with my USB stick in I have a feeling it has something to do with the USB Legacy Support I disabled but I also don t know how to enable it without going into my BIOS Core i - ASRock Extreme Gen Corsair Vengeance GB x GB DDR - Corsair Force Series GB quot SSD Sapphire Radeon HD GB Corsair Enthusiast Series TX V W Windows Ultimate SP Microsoft Sidewinder X keyboard Logitech Anywhere Wireless Mouse nbsp

A:ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 -- can't access BIOS anymore. Computer boots fine though.

Is your keyboard USB or PS/2? Normally a USB keyboard will not work before booting until you've enabled it in BIOS already. So basically you need to use an older keyboard (or an adapter) the first time, and then enable USB in the BIOS to use your USB keyboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asrock-extreme-3-gen-3-cant-access-bios-anymore-computer-boots-fine-though.176744/
Relevancy 18.49%

It was working fine until I awoke to find it had suffered a serious shutdown. From then on no internet access.

I am using sn HP Probook 4525s with Windows 7 the rest of my computers on my router are fine but they are hardwired. The laptop is the only one using wireless. I also have a port for a hardwired connection and I have tried it to no use.

I show a connection to the router but have no internet access. I contacted support but they only said I have a problem with my laptop and they can't help with that.

I am stuck. If anyone can help please give me some advice.

A:No Internet access

The first thing to verify is the device drivers.

right-click My Computer->Manage
find the Device Manager and click [+] to expand it
scroll to Network adapters
look for any red or yellow markers and get those resolve
(you can ignore any 1394 device; that's the firewire interface, not an internet device)

you can then see this post for common issues with networking configurations

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-internet-access.175978/
Relevancy 17.63%

I have a 2 TB Western Digital My Book 3.0. The USB Port on my hard drive broke, so I can no longer access it on my laptop or desktop via USB. Is there any other way for me to access my data? Would I have to open it up?

A:USB port on external hard drive broke. How can I access it?

Short of taking it somewhere for repair, it sounds like you're going to have to open up the case to get inside the drive. Once you've done that, you have two options:

1) If the connector is still functional you can connect it to your computer with the case removed and transfer your data, or

2) You can disconnect the bare drive from the guts in your case and connect it directly to your motherboard so that you can read the data from it.

....or purchase another enclosure of the correct size 2.5inch or 3.5inch

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-port-on-external-hard-drive-broke-how-can-i-access-it.175780/
Relevancy 17.63%

I have a Thinkpad T61. My laptop says it's connected to the internet (wireless) but when I open up anything that uses the internet, there's no connection. For the 'activity,' it says 8 packets have been sent and 8 have been received. The number is very very slowly growing. Ethernet doesn't work either.

Also, I'm not sure if these help, but:

1. I got a virus a week ago (XP Security 2012 virus) and since then, the internet hasn't worked.

2. The icon for wireless isn't showing in the bottom right of the blue toolbar at the bottom of my screen.

Any ideas? Please help.

A:Lenovo T61 no network access -- says Internet is connected but no connection

First suggestion; delete the wireless show in View Network Connections
and wire a direct connection from the system-->router.

Begin there to diagnose / document what is occuring.

a) please document
Os System(xp,vista,windows), edition(basic,home,pro,...) and SP level
Your ISP
Your wiring layout
your router make & model number
the browser / version you are using
and name the firewall that is active
the name/version of your antivirus program

b) if you are on Vista or Win/7

google for "disable ipv6"
apply the FixIt for your system (ie disable all)
then reboot
c) when the system fails to connect do this:

start->run->cmd
enter IPCONFIG /all >myTCP.txt
the come back here and attach the myTCP.txt file to your follow-up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovo-t61-no-network-access-says-internet-is-connected-but-no-connection.175230/
Relevancy 23.22%

Not sure if this belongs here or on the networking board. Anyway...
We have a network of about 20 pcs. I recently installed four new machines that run Windows 7 with Office 2010. The server is running Server 2003. Three of the machines worked perfectly from the beginning, accessing the server and sharing folders and files. One machine will only open files in "read only" mode. I have shared all the folders and given every permission there is but it will only open the files in "read only". It is a critical accounting machine that has to share and change files. What am I missing?

A:Sharing folders and files in Office 2010

hmm; your wording is imprecise so need to make sure what you mean,

Office 2010 can not be shared other than the Calendar events and that's not done
via "sharing".

You don't state the application that is sharing the common file on the server,
but I assume some accounting system installed on multiple client systems are attempting
concurrent access to the same accounting data.

You don't say if this has ever worked before with this setup or if this is the initial install for the Sharing of the accounting data.

First action is to access that file by only one system at a time (ie: disconnect the mapped Drive letter) and get that working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sharing-folders-and-files-in-office-2010.174216/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello I have external Samsung G USB station I had two different folders show drive and doesn't External files partitions one primary just for files and one logical for files also All the time I use WinXP Linux and Vista on different computers mostly Everything was fine But when I bought a brand new DVD with Win and installed on my brand new laptop the strange things became Now I ll try to define my problem as much as possible clearly and accurately My laptop with Win shows that logical drive but when I go in there I can t see my folders and files they are not hidden of course In properties I can see that these files ARE there I suppose that by the External drive doesn't show files and folders free and used space of that partition and I really know how GBs was there so in properties seems that anything is not lost When I connect External drive doesn't show files and folders drive to a different computer with let s say Vista it doesn t show these files also Same with XP But I can reach my files on Linux Another strange thing is that all the information in the other partition primary drive is accessible without any probs Now I copied all these files into Linux and used to format that partition NTFS and made it primary also I did it on Win So I have two primary drives now Then I brought all the information from Linux back into that drive under my investigation Everything was fine and I was so glad till I restarted mtfk Computer When I use Norton Partition Manager for browsing that drive I can see these folders and files One more thing I observed on Vista these folders icons seem like shortcuts now What is very strange really I can reach them in fact But I can t on XP or Win now Then I ve experimented a bit I copied two small files on that drive intentionally Surprisingly I can see these freshly loaded files both on Vista and XP On Win also But can t see these previously loaded files So WTF May anyone be able to help to resolve this confusing problem nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drive-doesnt-show-files-and-folders.174247/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi I hope this is a good spot to cannot Two routers and access a printer networked come for an answer Thanks in advance for any help At my business we have a server connected to a cisco router I m unsure of the model but I ll find out if necessary The cisco router is not a wireless router but I wanted to have wireless access for Two routers and cannot access a networked printer my phone and tablet and my quot tech guy quot told me I can t replace the existing router but could hook up a wireless router to the cisco one So I ve hooked up a TPLink Router and it works great I have internet connection through it My issue is - I have a printer which I used to be able to access through the network from any computer on the network Now that my printer and computer are connected to the TPLink Router I cannot find my printer on the network from a computer which is not connected to the TPLink Router - my quot tech guy quot won t respond to help me I think I m unclear and maybe this will help Router -- gt Server other computers Printer amp Router Router -- gt Printer amp My computer My computer can access the server and Printer amp Printer Server can access Printer Server cannot access Printer Please Please help It s so inconvenient having to use only Printer for work related stuff nbsp

A:Two routers and cannot access a networked printer

the issue is the wiring. If you took the link from router#1 to the wan side on router #2,
then there is no means to access router#1 resources.

fix:
a) use your browser to access router#2 setup (I assume you know how, if not ask).
then disable the DHCP service in this router
also disable the remote management port 8080
save the changes.

b) now take the wire out of the wan slot on router#2 and move it to a lan slot, leaving
router#2 wan empty.

Router#2 will then operate as a switch but still retain the WiFi support. All devices connecting
to it will get IP addresses from router#1 and thus have access to all resources.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-routers-and-cannot-access-a-networked-printer.174191/
Relevancy 17.63%

Situation A custom built hand-me-down PC albeit a good few years old now comprising of One getting multiple Problems using one OS's on whilst PC Internet access IDE Drive one partition with Windows XP Home - original installation One SATA Drive four partitions with Windows Vista Home Edition and XP Pro the other two partitions are currently spare - new OS installations Nvidia NF -S V Motherboard - BIOS now up-to-date with all relevant drivers -Wire BT Broadband Problems getting Internet access whilst using multiple OS's on one PC Business Hub Problem bearing in mind I have little knowledge of using multiple volumes and or Networking do s and don t s etc etc - hence the post XP Home on IDE drive will connect to the internet as it always has done via the Ethernet Cable connected to the Router but it does not recognise the Gateways USB cable option yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager - and it won t can t install a driver from any location - Router Installation CD Windows systems Windows up-date etc XP Pro on one of the new partitions on the SATA drive will connect to the internet but ONLY via the USB cable when connected to the Router - it s the opposite to the above problem when booting from that partition i e it does not recognise the Gateways Ethernet connection this time it s a yellow exclamation mark against the Ethernet Controller AND the SM Bus Controller - again neither will find install a driver from any location Vista on the other SATA drive partition works perfectly regardless of how it s connected to the same router i e USB cable or Ethernet - there are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and all hardware and associated drivers are fine and detailed correctly Is it simply an XP thing when using multiple volumes and or partitions with the same router as the problem obviously isn t present when booting from the Vista installation or do I need to set certain parameters somewhere for all OS s to independently recognise all assocaited drivers regardless of connection type It s not a major problem as I can access the intenet regardless of which OS I use but it s a little annoying knowing that I have to use one connection method over another if I boot an XP installation Thanks in advance for any feedback or walk through tips that might help Oh and by the way as strange as it probably sounds yes I would like to have XP Home XP Professional and Vista Home Premium all on the same PC nbsp

A:Problems getting Internet access whilst using multiple OS's on one PC

Virtual Madness said:

Oh, and by the way, as strange as it probably sounds, yes, I would like to have XP Home, XP Professional and Vista Home Premium all on the same PC.Click to expand...

You could just use virtual machines for the other two operating systems -- assuming the hardware can handle the load of a VM (it should if you have Vista running) and you don't need to leverage massive resources for 3D or gaming on the VMs.

Your just tripling the complexities by running 3 host OS' in my honest opinion. While I agree they should all work, you'd only need to tackle one OS if you ran the rest as guests.

Out of idle curiosity why do you need separate XP home and professional versions, as well as Vista anyway?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-getting-internet-access-whilst-using-multiple-oss-on-one-pc.174144/
Relevancy 18.06%

Suddenly one of my hdds dropped from windows it shows as failed in disc management and cant be reactivated from there Tho its seen in a bios boot and in device manager even says device is working properly When i checked bios i did it in ways with and w out bad hdd hooked up To hook it up i unplugged a working sata port - ST As- HDD BIOS device can't in but and manager it access seen GB and hooked problem HDD to that sata port when i rebooted into bios and checked what i seen on port was now ST AS- GB Does this seemingly point to fact this is the problem HDD being seen in bios now i decided to check Ie Device manager and it shows ata devices named ST AS so to assure myself i boot down HDD seen in BIOS and device manager but can't access it unhook problem drive and reboot now in device manager disc drives i see only one named ST AS when i re hook the problem hdd device manager shows both again So it appears device manager and bios see this HDD thats giving me nite mares i ve tried active undelete and BadCopy Pro But obv theyd fail as windows isnt seeing this drive As in my re search of last several weeks ive heard the SATA drive may be taking itself off line if Windows try to access it too much and that a sata usb bay cable s may sort me out here as im told some have had success when hooked in the traditional way a sata drive fails If this is possible i wont mind another purchase but the software has already set me back a fair bit PS ive seen the youtube video on swapping out the pcb but im also told matching a pcb is near impossible and it shows no physical damage i can see it seems a huge long shot its the pcb i also hear drive getting power and once or x i heard access noise Any further direction in this matter is appreciated Cheers nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-seen-in-bios-and-device-manager-but-cant-access-it.173486/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi all,

I have a WD external hard drive. Yesterday, when I connected it to my laptop, it was detected but when I tried to access it through my computer, there was no content available. When I looked at its property, I found out the following;

Used Space: 0 bytes
Free Space: 0 bytes

I then went to My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. I found out that the drive is not available in the list.

Is my hard drive corrupted?

Would appreciate if anybody out there can help me on this. Thanks

A:External hard drive detected but cannot access content

"Is my hard drive corrupted?" Most likely yes. Please learn to back up important data on CD, DVD or Blu-Ray media. These type media are non-volatile and are better than solid state memory flash drives

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-detected-but-cannot-access-content.172998/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi, I had a laptop Vaio, windwos XP home edition and before crashing for good I manage to have all data saved on external hard drive. Now I have a new HP, Windows 7, processor A8 and when I try to trim the backup data I can't delete anything from it. The delete button just doesn't work and right click dosen't show delete option. The data is huge I need that space.Thanks.

A:Can't delete backup file created in XP, now I run Windows 7

Have you tried to format the drive through Disk Management? Formatting will erase everything on it. This assumes you don't still have anything on the external drive you want to save.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-delete-backup-file-created-in-xp-now-i-run-windows-7.172452/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi all,

I decided to re-install my OS on Saturday as my kids had filled it with a lot of junk and I thought a nice clean re-install would be a good idea. Switched the boot sequence to CD drive and off I went. No problem until I had finished the installation and when I tried to get into the BIOS set up I can't, the screen simply hangs on the Asus graphic with the words "Press Del to go to set up". The issue I have now is that I need to have a boot CD in to continue to use the PC.

Can anyone think of any reason why I can't access the BIOS setup or is there another way in?

MoBo - Asus PG5c - mx/1333
OS - XP Pro SP3

Many thanks

Sam

A:Can't access my BIOS set up

Are you using a usb keyboard or hardwired? This can be a problem at times with a usb keyboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-my-bios-set-up.172205/
Relevancy 16.77%

Got hold of CCNA sybex 7th ed.. It will read on adobe and adobe digital editions on PC but not on reader. It displays the cover and contents,the rest is blank. My ebook reader will open any other pdf document including a earlier version of this file?! It is pdf version 1.3. Tried resaving on PC as version 1.5,made no difference. Any suggestions?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/issue-with-pdf-file-on-ebook-reader.171615/
Relevancy 23.65%

Morning,

I recently purchased a Buffalo ministation to save my folders to as a back up. I've copied some folders no problem (one up to 5.38gb) but now it is telling me (on a folder smaller than 4gb) that it cannot be copied. I formatted the hdd to NTFS as soon as I got it, so it isn't that.

Any help,

thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buffalo-ministation-will-not-let-me-copy-some-folders.171558/
Relevancy 18.06%

Need to get data from an old desktop - it's video card went bad.

Plugged in the network cable and I can see it connect to the network. Try logging on but it seems that I have forgotten my username. Any work-arounds to accessing the list of users on this so I can get to my data without replacing the video card right away? I know my password, just forgot the user name.

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-access-another-pc-that-has-a-bad-graphics-card.171096/
Relevancy 18.06%

Some people on our network can access our homepage, but others can't. I've checked routing, rights, our web filter and I cannot find anything that would cause this.
The people who host our website can't seem to find anything wrong on their end either.
Any ideas?

A:Some people on the network can access a website, but others can't

Is everyone on the network using the same antivirus, anti-malware and firewall software?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/some-people-on-the-network-can-access-a-website-but-others-cant.169819/
Relevancy 16.34%

My ext HDD Buffalo 500Gb became RAW file system. can't even reformat again to NTFS.or to FAT32, the drive has my name before. now i can see LOCAL DRIVE E:, and when i click to properties, i can see, used space 0 bytes, and free space 0 bytes.
i tried several ways, even on command prompt, convert E: /fs:ntfs. still i can't, and on disk management, i even apply mark partition as active and then format it, and it take 5-6 hours and at the end falure.

can some one help me, i really need for my school project, and i cannot efford to buy again.

JIGME

A:My 500GB Buffalo external HDD became RAW file system

Hi gentpuchong :wave:

Welcome to :grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-500gb-buffalo-external-hdd-became-raw-file-system.163340/
Relevancy 17.2%

Here s the scoop A friend of mine was running XP sp and his system started getting very slow and would not run properly I ran malwarebytes and found File recovery several errors and corrected System still wouldn t function right Spent several File recovery hours trying various things with no luck Decided to offload his files and reinstall xp We managed to get his documents offloaded but didn t have enough media for his photos I removed hard drive and used my hardware connection package to hook it up to a usb port on my system The drive did show up and I started to copy his photos Get ready here it comes he has g of photos from years worth of saving on system without backing them up My system has enough space to copy but about g into copy my system started to give File recovery all kinds of errors that my avg WD elements etc weren t working I canceled the copy and deleted the photos from my system did a safe remove of the drive ran a restore from a previous restore point for my system All is well in the land of joeretired Now here s where the problem comes in When I reconnected the drive it no longer shows up with a letter assigned to it so I can access the drive I checked quot My Computer quot and it s not there Checked Device Manager and it shows as a usb mass storage device and properties says it s working properly Device Management doesn t even see it The questions are why can t I see it anymore how do I get it back to copy the phots Just for info s sake I m going to copy them to flash drives so my friend will have them backed up and be able to view them when he wants Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated and if we meet I ll buy you a beer nbsp

A:File recovery

Thanks Rick I will try what you suggested. If it is what you suspect I'll let him know. I was looking around and found a program from CGSecurity called "TESTDISK". Due you think it might be worth a shot running this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-recovery.168390/
Relevancy 17.2%

Usually I can play large MKV files just fine, but 13GB Black Swan mkv lags every few seconds making it unplayable. I don't usually have problems with MKV so I don't see how it could be a codec problem, does anyone know what?

Windows XP SP3

AMD Radeon HD 6850 - 1024MB

MotherBoard:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K SE Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0401 07/19/2007
Realtek Onboard Audio

3328 Megabytes DDR2 RAM

Processor:
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

1400.28 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
100.02 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

A:Particular MKV file lags?

What software are you playing it with? Try Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/particular-mkv-file-lags.168934/
Relevancy 15.91%

I bought a used HP 9100C digital sender and I get a "Network Access Failure" error message on my pc when I try to create the "HP 9100C Login with the HP software. Any thoughts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-bought-a-used-hp-9100c-digital-sender-and-i-get-a-network-access-failure.167938/
Relevancy 17.63%

I have an external hard drive I was hard external drive Gaining access to trying to cut off permissions to view it under any account but mine I went to quot security tab quot and must have done something Gaining access to external hard drive wrong because then when I would look at quot My Computer quot it would show my external hard drive but wouldn t give any information all it said was NTFS If Gaining access to external hard drive I d try to open or anything it d say access denied although i am administrator I went back to security tab and the users it shows is quot SYSTEM quot and quot ADMINISTRATORS quot both say full access but I can t Gaining access to external hard drive view the hard drive files I went in under safe mode and tried to view it and it let me open the hard drive to view all folders in it but I could not open any of the folder beyond that point Now back in normal windows mode when I view quot My computer quot I see this Computer management - gt Disk management now shows this Before I mess this up more can someone please help nbsp

A:Gaining access to external hard drive

I tried opening command prompt as administrator and typed
cacls ?Path to folder\folder name? /E /T /C /G Administrators:F
all still says access denied

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gaining-access-to-external-hard-drive.167317/
Relevancy 18.06%

There are some Japanese flash game websites on a domain called web.fc2.com. I can access some but not others, getting a timeout error.

I can't get to ancho.web.fc2.com and detarou.web.fc2.com . I can get to pi3141592c147.web.fc2.com and yoinouchi.web.fc2.com . I've pinged all four and get very similar results - I know 'similar' is not 'exact' but I am not techy enough to read/understand ping results.

A possibly relevant pair of messages I get from pinging via dnsstuff.com are
- The destination appears to block unwanted UDP packets.
- There appears to be a firewall at <ip address> (hop 1) that blocks unwanted TCP packets.

Both my windows xp and my ubuntu box have the same problem, so it's not a hosts file issue or a system based blocking software. Might be my router?

Thank you...

A:Can't access some websites -- same domain different subdomain

fallinghawks said:

There are some Japanese flash game websites on a domain called web.fc2.com. I can access some but not others, getting a timeout error.

I can't get to ancho.web.fc2.com and detarou.web.fc2.com . I can get to pi3141592c147.web.fc2.com and yoinouchi.web.fc2.com . I've pinged all four and get very similar results - I know 'similar' is not 'exact' but I am not techy enough to read/understand ping results.

A possibly relevant pair of messages I get from pinging via dnsstuff.com are
- The destination appears to block unwanted UDP packets.
- There appears to be a firewall at <ip address> (hop 1) that blocks unwanted TCP packets.

Both my windows xp and my ubuntu box have the same problem, so it's not a hosts file issue or a system based blocking software. Might be my router?

Thank you...Click to expand...

Might I ask what browser you are using? Using my Google Chrome, I can access http://ancho.web.fc2.com/ & http://yoinouchi.web.fc2.com/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-some-websites-same-domain-different-subdomain.165721/
Relevancy 15.48%

I have a wireless router for my home desktop computer and a wireless capable laptop computer. I can access the laptop from my desktop and add or change files on it. I can see the files on my desktop from my laptop, but I can't open or change them. How do I "allow" access from my laptop to my desktop?

A:Allowing access to home computer from remote computer

first, UNSHARE whatever is currently being shared on the desktop.

Now find the folder(s) you wish to share, start the sharing setup and be sure to [x]
allow changes / modifications.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allowing-access-to-home-computer-from-remote-computer.167330/
Relevancy 16.34%

A few years back I got an external hard drive (Nomad) as I was working on a book and studying photography and wanted to be able to back up all my work in case of a computer crash. Well, it turned out that I did have a crash, and everything was fine until I went to open up a file that contained a bunch of Microsoft Word files for my book.

When I click on the file in attempts to open it, after a long period of not responding, an error comes up that says exactly this:

"Location is not available
H:\Scotia\Writing\Stories & Novels is not accessible.
Incorrect functon."

Is there any way that I can fix this so that I can have the files back? I'm desperate, and without these files I lose a year of work toward a novel. Any help is deeply appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-on-nomad-external-hard-drive-will-not-open.167092/
Relevancy 18.06%

My laptop run on Windows 7. I was using this laptop on a network of some other organisation to access the internet, now that I have changed to another organisation and I still need to use this laptop to access the internet, the problem is that I am failing to access the internet despite having changed the proxy server settings on Internet options>Connections>LAN settings option to suite that of my new organisation. Please help

A:Internet access problem

First - if you have a problem asking your new organisation's IT department for help you do, as they say, have a problem unless you can find any special settings from some other user's machine.
Second - you should set the options in Connections as "never dial a connection" and then make sure the LAN settings are set to automatic (top option). That should work under most circumstances unless, as I say above, you need custom settings.
Best of luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-access-problem.166781/