Windows Support Forum

Windows 8: Create a System Image on a Dual Boot OS Windows 7

Q: Windows 8: Create a System Image on a Dual Boot OS Windows 7

Hello again to all. Can anyone please explain because this a little bit confuses me, CREATING a SYSTEM IMAGE, now that I have a DUAL BOOT win7-win8 OS.

>>I want to know if I CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 7 (my default OS), and then later, if ever I RESTORE THIS CREATED SYSTEM IMAGE, will the setup on WINDOWS 8 & WINDOWS 7, still be the same working on DUAL BOOT?

>>OR IS IT THAT I HAVE TO CREATE THE SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 8?

thanks again for any info.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 8: Create a System Image on a Dual Boot OS Windows 7

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 8: Create a System Image on a Dual Boot OS Windows 7

when you create a system image of your computer, yes it will recreate everything it sees on your computer, including multiple OS's and of course the boot loader to let you choose which OS to run.

Please follow the instructions carefully of your imaging software.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12214-windows-8-create-system-image-dual-boot-os-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi guys, my hd is gone. It was on a notebook. Thanks god I had a image system backup few days ago.

Now... I'd like to dual boot that system on my desktop running Windows 7 and dual boot them.

So can I reduce the size of my desktop hd, and then restore the system image from my laptop to that partition?

How can I dual boot them?

THank you

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/381149-restore-windows-7-system-image-2nd-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi, I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) and Ubuntu dual booted on my Dell XPS M1530. Everytime I run it, it locks up at about the half way point then it freezes. Then I have to hard shutdown the system. It does this everytime, do I need to uninstall Ubuntu? Can anybody help me out with this? Thanks

A:Creating System Image with Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot

Welcome!

It doesn't sound like Ubuntu is causing the problem, as long as you're booted into Windows okay.

Try saving the backup in a different location. You may also test the drive you are saving to: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/76535-creating-system-image-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi

I would like to make a backup bootable image of my harddisk with Norton Ghost for easy restore should I have a major problem. I have a dual boot setup on the 1st 40 gb harddisk which is partitioned as follows

50mb Boot Magic
12gb Win XP
12gb Win XP
15.5 Files

My question is whether I should do a single image of the first 3 partitions (do I have to include the 4th as well), or whether I should do seperate images of each partition. I have checked to help files and the website but all I could find out was that dual boot systems are supported by Ghost. Any help with this would be great.

Cheers Ham

A:Create bootable image of dual boot setup with Ghost

On my triple boot machine I image each OS partition separately. That way if I have a problem with a single OS I don't have to restore the entire drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/create-bootable-image-of-dual-boot-setup-with-ghost.243321/
Relevancy 84.28%

My Dell Desktop comes with a standard DVD Reader/Writer (DVD +- GH3ON ATA Drive) and works fairly well writing storage data etc. I've previously created a "System Repair disk" with no problems.

I decided to try my hand at creating a system image to DVD, but when I did I kept getting format message dialog boxes (which I allowed) and then an error box that stated "Windows Backup found errors on the media while saving a backup on it and ..." then I had to stop the backup.

I tried blank DVD and DVD r/w media (two different manufacturers) but no luck. It's not totally important I get this to work but has got my curiosity aroused.

Any ideas?

A:Windows 7 Create a System Image

I and several others have noticed that making a copy to DVD does not usually work. Usual problem is a freeze, it becoming difficult to even remove the DVD, which requires drastic action. Bottom line, you may want to save to an external Hard Drive. You cannot save to a flash.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/38735-windows-7-create-system-image.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Just like the title, how do I create a system image on windows 8.1? I have installed Windows 8.1 and have all my settings and programs just how I like it but I cant see how to create a system image. Can anyone help?
Cheers

A:How do I create a system image on windows 8.1

Go to File History and it is in the bottom left.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33497-how-do-i-create-system-image-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I've been attempting to install Windows XP on a PC from ACER which has Windows pre-installed Problem is that I'm trying to install it but haven't got any spare partitions on HDD although Disk Management in Win says I've only got partitions whereas when I go to install WinXP the setup screen is saying I've used up all available partitions WinXP setup says I've to dual create boot Windows Trying and with XP 7 got a Trying to create dual boot with Windows 7 and XP partition which is only MB in size but this doesn't show up in Disk Management in Win I can't delete the MB partition because its a dynamic partition and doing so WinXP setup is telling me if I delete that one MB partition Trying to create dual boot with Windows 7 and XP I will lose all the data on the other partitions which contain the System Re-install files on Partition totalling GB the current install of Win and other programs data on Partition which has a capacity of GB and the System Recovery partition of MB which I understand is needed to ensure Win works property When going to install WinXP it is telling me that I've got GB of unallocated space but in Disk Management that shows up as Drive D I was originally thinking I could put WinXP on Drive D Anybody got any ideas

A:Trying to create dual boot with Windows 7 and XP

Can you give us a screen shot of your disk management ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/107741-trying-create-dual-boot-windows-7-xp.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello,

Trying to create a System Image Backup on a Windows 8.1 ACER laptop. My latest attempt is to a external hard drive with 3.63 TB free but the backup fails due to not enough disk .

I have attached the full error message.

New to the ways of Windows 8 and this is my first time trying to create a System Image Backup.

Thanks in advance for any assistant.

Stu

A:Can't create a system image backup on Windows 8.1

Take a look here for fixes.
Latest Win 8.1 ISO "Breaks" System Image Functionality

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/38416-cant-create-system-image-backup-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Before I upgrade to Windows 10 on my Windows 7 desktop I'd like to know whether or not there is a built in create a backup system image?
Once my Windows 10 upgrade is running properly and before adding in any new programs I wish to create a backup system image
--- I know I can use a 3rd party program and I am use to Macrium Reflect on my Windows 7 but I wish to know whether or not there is a built in create a backup system image utility

So far I have found which I will do while my Windows upgrade is in pristine condition

Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

Windows 10 ISO Download
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html

--- Are there other items I should do in addition to these 2 as well as creating a system image backup?

A:Windows 10 create a backup system image

A recovery drive is similar to a System Rescue Disk in Windows 7. It is not a complete disk image. If you want a System Image then it should be located under File History unless Microsoft removed it in the final build. Personally I would use Macrium. 

http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-easily-create-full-backup-windows-10-using-system-image-backup

Edit: You would need the USB recovery Drive to restore the disk image.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588588/windows-10-create-a-backup-system-image/
Relevancy 83.42%

I thought 8.1 was supposed to make things easier? Not so for creating a System Image. Now, you have to use the Windows PowerShell (Admin) to get the job done. The image below will show the command string to use (boxed in red) and my target drive is/was Z:

Attachment 23893

Zoom image to enlarge please.

You can use your installation media to access the Repair function and restore your System Image from there.

Have fun!

Relevancy 83.42%

I have had problems creating restore discs in the past. What is a good web site for creating a system image for Windows 7?

A:How to create a system image of Windows 7 Drive C

Windows Backup allows you to make a back up of your personal files and settings.Windows Backup allows you to make an image of a partition or an entire drive.Windows Repair Disk is bootable and has the tools to reimage a drive from a stored image made from Windows Backup.I am not sure how your system is set up but I recommend at least two partitions, one for Windows and your programs and one for your data. This way you can more easily define your back up and much more easily (and faster) make the important image of your C drive with your operating system and programs. Doing it this way you have a two step process if catastrophe happens and you need to replace the hard drive or wipe it and start over. The process would be to delete the partition (using the Windows 7 install disk) or replace the drive, pop in the Repair Disk and reload the disk image. Then if needed, recover your back up, run Windows Update, and you are done.Other programs are not needed but there are a few that also can do this, just make sure that you have or create their recovery disks as well if you go this route.External hard drives are very good for storing back ups and system images but if you always leave them plugged in you might just want to add another internal hard drive for this since the SATA connection is more direct and much faster than USB2.0 (nearly the same as USB3.0 though).You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/how-to-create-a-system-image-of-windows-7-drive-c/18825.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I have a 1TB drive that partioned with 120gb system and rest is a non primary/non boot data partition volumn..

I've never used windows 7 create system image, but want to . When I try to create a system image it insist on backing up both drives. I don't see how to deselect the data drive. Is this because I have installed something system related. on the data drive?

And Finally, how will recovely of a system image works if I get a blue screen, do I need to install window 7 again first or have a repair CD? I noticed when I started a create system image it asked me for the destination drive, no exact path on the drive, does the image have be created on the root of the destination drive?

A:Windows 7 pro - Create system image only system c: drive

Hello Cyberpine,

Please go ahead and post back with a screenshot showing all of your HDD's full layout in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to help ID what the issue may be.

If you moved anything like your page file, user folders, user profile folder, etc.... to any other partition than the default C, then they will also be considered "System" partitions and will be included in the system image by default. You will not be able to uncheck them since they are required for the operation of Windows 7. If you did, then you would need to move all of it back to C to not have the other partition included.

You could use a retail Windows 7 installation DVD/USB or a Windows 7 system repair disc at boot to do a system image recovery with.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/250708-windows-7-pro-create-system-image-only-system-c-drive.html
Relevancy 82.56%
A:How do I create a system image of Windows and custom settings?

Hello Ech0es,

There are two types of backups in Windows.System Image - Whole system, and any selected drives.
Windows Backup - Only selected folders and their contents. You also have the option to do this on an automated schedule with the option of also including a system image.
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

System Image Recovery

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/290205-how-do-i-create-system-image-windows-custom-settings.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi I got a new TB drive which I would like to create a system image on as backup My problem is that when I try to create a system image Windows is checking two drives to backup One drive is my C drive and the other is my SSD which technically has an install of Windows on it but due to some error with the boot sector of to backup 2 Windows image drives system requiring create I am unable to boot from the SSD So a little background I was running Windows from my SSD when after a Windows Update the SSD's secondary boot Windows requiring backup of 2 drives to create system image sector got messed up and I could Windows requiring backup of 2 drives to create system image no longer boot from the drive I then reinstalled Windows on my HDD which is the drive I currently use to boot up Note that the SSD still works-- I can access all the OS files that are on it I just can't boot off the drive I recently found out that the S M A R T status of the drive I'm currently booting off of is quot Warning quot which is why I bought a new TB drive to replace it My goal is to create a system image on a partition I created on the TB drive then use that system image to copy onto the SSD and start using the SSD as my boot up drive again assuming a format will solve that boot sector issue Thus we're back to my current issue where I can't create a system image unless I backup both my C drive and the SSD because apparently the SSD is required for Windows to boot up I tried marking the SSD as Inactive in hopes that Windows would stop requiring it to backup but that just broke my PC because it would tell me that BOOTMGR is missing and then I'd be stuck in a restart loop I was able to get my PC to boot up again after I used the Command Prompt via Repair your computer to mark the SSD as Active again I was thinking of just reinstalling Windows on the SSD but then I would have to reinstall all my programs again which is a real drag and I might run into the same problem where Windows will think that two drives are necessary to boot up Does anyone have any ideas on how to quot unlink quot my SSD from the boot up process so that Windows can start up without it Any advice would be much appreciated

A:Windows requiring backup of 2 drives to create system image

Nevermind-- I was able to resolve the issue. Had to unplug all drives except for the one I wanted to boot off of and then run Startup Repair. That allowed me to boot up without my SSD.

Windows ended up not letting me restore a system image to a blank drive (my SSD) though so I had to copy my OS partition to the SSD using Partition Master, and then run Startup Repair again to make the drive bootable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/313076-windows-requiring-backup-2-drives-create-system-image.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello,,

I have a pc runs windows xp and runs some applications that are installed on the C drive (windows drive).
i would like to make a bootable image of the windows drive, and boot it on another PC and run the apps, using a virtual machine utility, like vmware or Sun VB.

is it possible??
if yes what apps need to do that?
if no, then suggestion plz?

Thanks

Relevancy 81.7%

Hello,,

I have a pc runs windows xp and runs some applications that are installed on the C drive (windows drive).
i would like to make a bootable image of the windows drive, and boot it on another PC or the same but different parttion, and run the apps, using a virtual machine utility, like vmware or Sun VB.

is it possible??
if yes what apps need to do that?
if no, then suggestion plz?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/create-image-of-windows-drive-and-boot-on-virtual-machine-467447.html
Relevancy 79.98%

I have now created this as an actual tutorial that can be viewed at this link below -- gt System Reserved Create for Dual Boot lt -- System Reserved Boot for Create : Dual nbsp nbsp Note This method goes with this tutorial at the link below but it was too much for the main body of the tutorial as it made the entire work as a whole too long and involved a process to follow easily Dual Boot Create Partitions Using PWBD This is what System Reserved : Create for Dual Boot I started with I'm going to use the free bootable Partition Wizard CD to shrink the C Vista partition to create a partition for the Windows quot System Reserved quot and a partition to install Windows to ahead to the left of the C Vista partition click any image to enlarge Boot the PWBD and right click the partition you want to shrink and click quot Move Resize quot do not try to shrink an existing Windows Operating System OS smaller than its actual current size as viewed by clicking the Computer button in the Windows start menu In the dialog box that opens click and hold to drag the left slider to the size you want to shrink the C partition Then in the left pane quot Operation Pending quot column click Apply and then Yes for the quot Apply Changes quot conformation dialog box You will get a Pending dialog box just relax and let it work it may take a while depending on your current partition structure You Must restart the PC after the shrink has completed so the existing OS can accept the changes to the partition structure and it will require a restart that you must do to complete the process Remove the PWBD and at the upper left corner at quot General quot click exit to restart the PC it would be a good idea to do a couple restarts to let the OS accept the changes without issues We're going to do several steps all together so read through this section before you start so you will see the easiest way to go they can be done as single steps but this is easier and quicker Boot back to Partition Wizard and right click the new unallocated space and click create Now click and hold to drag the left slider to create space for the quot System Reserved quot partition PW is kind'a screwy here and you will get more space than you create so don't take too much time trying to get the sizes to match as I have in the past just create as small a space as you can and accept the size you get more is better anyway Just be sure to make it a Primary partition as PW defaults to logical a Label here is not necessary as you will add the labels in the next step Don't be concerned with drive letters as the OS will give them letters when you boot back to let the OS accept these new changes though they will have to be removed before the Windows install Now do the same to create the SysResv making sure that it's created as a Primary partition as Windows will not boot is not able to boot from an quot Extended Logical quot partition and the SysResv will be the partition where the boot files will be created for the dual boot If you are short on Primary partitions you could create the Windows partition as a Logical for the install and then when if you remove the existing Windows Vista install you could use the PWBD to convert it to a primary at a later time Now both partitions have to be formatted to finish this part of the process right click each in turn and click Format Then in the dialog box that opens for each give them a label it is suggested you label the SysResv partition as System Reserved so the installer will recognize it without issue Now at the left pane Operations Pending column click Apply then Yes for the conformation dialog box to finish creating formatting the partitions the snip below is what you will have Now boot back into the OS so it can accept these new changes to the partition structure and to make sure all is well I suggest you restart the OS a couple times just to make sure You also need to remove the drive letters and mark the SysResv partition as quot Active quot so t... Read more

A:System Reserved : Create for Dual Boot

That's a great addition.

You should put this in the Tutorial section, maybe as: Dual Boot : Create Partitions Using PWBD Part 2 - System Reserved : Create for Dual Boot

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/120044-system-reserved-create-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi, I want create a dual boot system my Windows XP pro PC.
I can create partitions okay (using Partition Manager 8.5 se) but I don't know how to set up, or edit, the Master Boot Record or whatever else is involved.
I shall want to make a clean install of another XP OS.
If there is some (preferably free) software that assists with this that'd be good.
I have a spare PC on which I can make my mistakes too!
Would you tell me how to go about this please?
Thank you.
Tim

Relevancy 79.12%

I have a new Toshiba Qosmio X770 laptop with Dual 120 Gb SSD drives. From the factory it had Win 7 Home. I upgraded immediately to Win 7 Ultimate x64. I set up the VM to use XP (Have to use XP because current dev projects with work are stuck in old ages on XP for the time being). I can run the XP Mode in VM fine and even Visual Studios functions fine. There is a problem with the 3rd party drivers for the USB comm boards we are using, the USB drivers apparently cannot be shared across the VM environment for the particular ones we are using.

I have been trying to install a clean install of Windows XP on the 2nd drive, but the system BSOD's when XP is trying to start windows from the installation CD.

Has anyone seen this before? Do you have any suggestions?

thanks,

JCJLKJ

A:BSOD when attempting to create Dual Boot system with XP and Ult 7 x64

There are pages of comments dealing with this in Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP.

XPired doesn't have many modern SATA controllers and requires them being inserted using ancient floppy support - there are generations who don't even know what a floppy is.

This requires SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD.

Be sure to use XP SP3 installer for your version - which must also be OEM- or retail-specfiic.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221532-bsod-when-attempting-create-dual-boot-system-xp-ult-7-x64.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I've got Winxp media centre NTFS installed and I've used Casper (http://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/trial/ )to copy Windows 7 premium from another hard drive to the Winxp hard drive NTFS partition.Do I activate the Windows 7 on the Winxp hard drive ? Will it cause problems ? The hard drive Windows 7 is installed on is a used hard drive .I don't want to dual boot with 2 hard drives.I've also downloaded EasyBCD .Thanks Big D

A:Dual boot winxp media 32 bit and Casper image Windows 7 64 bit

If you stored a backup image then you'll need to use the installed Imaging program or it's boot disk to re-image Win7 to the target HD which should have unallocated space to fit it.

I am not familar with Casper but here' show it works with Win7 and most other apps: System Image Recovery

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/224633-dual-boot-winxp-media-32-bit-casper-image-windows-7-64-bit.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I need to dual boot both 64 and 32bit windows 7.. I have a device that just will not work on 64bit..

So, I'm trying to put a 32bit install on a 50gb partition of one of my disks.
However, when I go to select the partition, the install says
Windows was unable to create a system partition or locate an existing partition

Can I have some help, here? :X

A:Unable to create/locate system partition.. Dual boot

Please post what device this is. And have you checked to see if that device will work at all with Windows 7? Could be it doesn't have drivers for 7. As far as I know there are no Devices that would not work on 64bit 7 and would work on 32bit 7. It either works on 7, 32 or 64 bit, or it doesn't.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/258204-unable-create-locate-system-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I have a 60 gb backup of win 8.1 that i want to use for my dual boot on my dell laptop

HDD is 300gb 8.1 backup is from same drive.

I plan on installing vista 32 bit and then shrinking vista c: drive to 80gb

the rest of the drive i want to install the system image of 8.1 32 bit that I have.

Is there anything special i have to do to make this happen. Is it even possible to use

a system image on the remaining hdd space to create a dual boot setup.

Im guessing create partition on unallocated space and run win 8.1 winpe and install on new partition.

Is this doable and if there is anything else required for me to do to make this happen

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/400484-use-win-8-1-system-image-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I need to dual boot both 64 and 32bit windows 7.. I have a device that just will not work on 64bit..

So, I'm trying to put a 32bit install on a 50gb partition of one of my disks.
However, when I go to select the partition, the install says
Windows was unable to create a system partition or locate an existing partition

Can I have some help, here? :X

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-unable-to-create-locate-system-partition-dual-boot-670506.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I want to make a recovery disc to reset my entire 4 partition dual boot hard drive back to its current state. the recovery would reset both xp and win 7 which i have dual booting. can i make one single image to do this without it screwing up my boot loaders etc? what should i use? 3rd party software?

A:How to make a system image for a dual boot system

I don't know if I have heard of anyone doing 4 partitions in a single image, with a dual boot in the mix.

But---I have no reason to believe you can't do it.

It may turn out that you are better off making a separate image of each partition since you may find that only one of them goes bad.

Most here would recommend Macrium or Acronis, but it may be that Windows built-in imaging can do it also.

I wouldn't get lulled into a false sense of security just because you had an image.

WHS may have some ideas if he sees this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/228707-how-make-system-image-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello,

I have a dual boot machine with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. I have Windows Defender version 1.1.1600.1 for WinServer and McAffee for Windows 7. Recently I have been having some trouble with McAffee. Will Windows Defender provide protection for both OS's or do I need to continue to troubleshoot the McAffee issue?

Thanks,
Scott

A:AntiVirus for Dual Boot System -Windows 7/Windows Server 2008

Windows Defender will only run when the OS it is installed on is running.
So, for you it will only run when you boot up Windows Server.

Windows Defender is not an Anti Virus program.
It is Anti Malware and intended to run alongside a real-time Anti Virus program.

You might consider un-installing McAffe and using a different A/V such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, etc...

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/255983-antivirus-dual-boot-system-windows-7-windows-server-2008-a.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I notice when I create a system image under the RC in a dual boot (XP/RC) configuration, the XP drive is included in the drives selected for imaging and I can't seem to eliminate it. Is there a way not to have it included?

Thank you.

A:Creating System Image with Dual Boot

Choose the "Let me choose" option in Set Up backup screen. It'll then let u select what u want to backup.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/26678-creating-system-image-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi there, sorry for this stupid question.

So, previously I had Windows 8 and a system image of that drive. I want to dual-boot it with Win7, so I replace my Win8 with Win7, and reinstall Win8 on another partition. Can I restore my Win8 with the previous system image, or will it affect my Win7?

Thanks.

Relevancy 76.97%

I have Acronis True Image and before I went the dual boot system route (XP + Vista x64), I made an image of my XP system but now that I am comfortable with both OS's, I would like to know if Acronis can make an image of my drive including both systems?

Before attempting to do this on my own and botching the already good image I have, I would like to hear it from the Gurus so... what say you?

Oh, also, I have heard that Acronis can do this but nobody specified if I should start Acronis in Vista or in XP and that is another thing that baffles me. It shouldn't matter where I start the image process but making sure is my first priority since I tend to screw up things fairly quick when I go out guns blazing (so to speak! )
Thanks guys.

A:Making an Image of a Dual boot system...

Hello AstaLaVista.

One option would be to use a second HDD (one with nothing on it) to create the dual boot image; that way if it bricks you won't lose the good image....

Keep us informed, as I curious of the outcome myself.

Later Ted

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/191612-making-image-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I am not sure how to do this I originally had XP and added another drive installing windows professional bit and have a dual boot system I transferred or saved all of the data from the XP drive and want to format it however it will not allow me to format it I boot up on drive C which is w but can select to boot up on drive D which is XP I have attached screen shot of the disk manager but Disk is D is NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition which is the windows XP drive Disk is C is NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary pro) on drive (windows system boot 7 dual to (windows How xp) format Partition which is the w p drive How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) Not sure how to do this without loosing the w p drive I thought about unplugging the w p drive and How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) booting from the w p disk but not sure how that would work when plugging the original w p drive back in Thanks

A:How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro)

I'd guess your problem is that you want to boot from C and format D, but Windows frowns at that when it sees that D contains your system files.

This probably happened because you left the XP drive connected when you installed Windows 7 to the other drive.

I also suspect that if you disconnect the D drive you can't boot at all from C. Is that correct? That would also be because your system files are on D.

If your system files were on C, I think you could then boot from C with D disconnected.

And you should also then be able to boot from C and format D.

You can use an application like BCDedit to copy system files from C to D.

Or you may be able to do it by disconnecting D and running system repair from a Windows install DVD--you may have to run it several times.

Others may have more ideas. That's my best guess just looking at the pic you posted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/396721-how-format-drive-windows-xp-dual-boot-system-windows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Is it possible to set up a dual-boot system with Windows Vista OEM on one hard drive and install Windows 7 Upgrade on another hard drive? Windows 7 would be the primary and Windows Vista would be the secondary.

A:Set Up Dual-Boot System with Windows Vista OEM & Windows 7 Upgrade?

Easiest is to install each with the other HD unplugged, then set preferred as first HD to boot in BIOS setup, trigger other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key. This keeps each independent to come and go as you please.

If you don't like that method then you can install EasyBCD to Win7 to add Vista to a Win7 Dual Boot menu which will leave them independent.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/345082-set-up-dual-boot-system-windows-vista-oem-windows-7-upgrade.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi I need some help with a dual booted system I have windows XP and Windows pro -bit on 7 boot p/c 7 dual won't to xp/windows system windows booted my work computer I came back to work after the holidays and was unable to boot into windows I put in the windows install disk and tried to reinstall the software but the disk just try's to repair the disk quot fixing sectors this may take over HR quot this was dual booted p/c xp/windows 7 system won't boot to windows 7 started at am ran all day when I returned to work the next day it was still running Hard drive is partitioned into gb partitions windows xp work fine but I need to install windows to run a program called quot Solidworks quot I can see the partition as drive dual booted p/c xp/windows 7 system won't boot to windows 7 E when booted into xp I can access the files and folders on the partition I want to do an install of Windows pro that will not affect these file But when I try to run the install program the repairing disk starts again The system repair tools menu does not show up We I first tried to run install the program told me I needed to be in windows to run the disk Will removing the Windows directory from the drive as I said above I have access through xp allow me to install the program again and can I do it with out losing my files Thanks in advance for any help you can give I'm at a loss Bobyt

A:dual booted p/c xp/windows 7 system won't boot to windows 7

It's interesting that it seems to want to run Disk Check
so maybe if you boot into the disk's System Recovery Options Command line to run Option 3 Disk Check command it will complete and repair the file system as it seems to be attempting.

Otherwise to reinstall you must boot into the Win7 disk to do a Clean Reinstall Windows 7. Boot the disk as shown in How to Boot A Computer from CD or DVD - YouTube.

Choose the Win7 partition, format it and install. Set it up perfectly as shown in the tutorial which shows the tools and methods to keep it that way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/359050-dual-booted-p-c-xp-windows-7-system-wont-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

So I have a laptop that's a few months old It came pre-installed with Windows Even after hearing all the complaints about Windows I promised myself that I would give it a fair shot before I went crawling back to a previous version of Windows most likely Windows as I loved that OS Anyway it's been a few months and while I don't hate Windows it's not my favourite 8.1 a system Creating Windows dual-boot 7 Windows with and OS either Creating a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 -- mainly because there are some programs that I use that don't seem to get along well Creating a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with it But visually speaking I do like quite a bit and I would like to keep it Creating a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 for the majority of what I do So I was thinking about setting up a dual-boot configuration and that way I'd have the best of both worlds Now my question is can I actually install Windows over Or do I have to basically start all over and then install first before I install It's not that big a deal I guess but if possible I'd love to be able to just put on the system as it stands now without having to fool with wiping and then starting from scratch Any suggestions recommendations as to how I can make this a little easier on myself

A:Creating a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

By far the best option is to install Classic Shell.  That gives you back a Start button and menu like we have with Windows 7.  You can download it from classicshell.net and it's totally FREE.  Installing Windows 7 on a computer that came with Windows 8 is problematic because of numerous things.  First, most such computers have replaced the BIOS we've used for decades with something new called UEFI and a different way of formatting the hard drive.  Next you might not be able to get Windows 7 drivers for that computer.  Also there're complex ways of getting around this, but you normally want to install the latest version of Windows last.

Bottom line is like I say, by all means try Classic Shell first.  It's easy to uninstall if for some reason you want to, but it's free and just about everyone who's tried it thinks it's great.  That includes yours truly.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540709/creating-a-dual-boot-system-with-windows-7-and-windows-81/
Relevancy 76.11%

I have XP on my 1st HDD and Win7 on my 2nd HDD, Dual Boot. If I use "Create a system image" it will only copy both drives as there systems on both.

If I use this facility and need to restore the system image backup, does it work OK or will there be problems with the dual boot afterwards?

I understand that both OS's would be restored to an earlier condition, even if there is only a problem with one OS, but I would still like to use this facility if it is safe to do so.

Many thanks for any replies.

A:Creating system image with 2HDD's Dual Boot?

Hello,

When you restore the system image, it should restore your boot loader too.

If you have problems with the dual boot, let us know, and we will help you repair it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/62928-creating-system-image-2hdds-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,
It has happened to me twice...I accidentally deleted a partition and later found out that my system is dead....The only way I recover out of that is I reinstall Windows and then install grub again to recover the Linux partition. But I feel the delete partition is a very rapid process just taking seconds and in that I don't think files would be deleted, so I feel potentially I can recover the deleted partitions including the boot partition. But I don't know how to do it. Also now when the boot partition is deleted and the system is not booting up what should be done to recover the system and data?
Thanks in advance,
-pkd

A:How to recover deleted grub/boot partition in Windows XP(Dual boot system))

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-deleted-grub-boot-partition-in-windows-xp-dual-boot-system.871174/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,
I have a dual-boot system Ubuntu/Windows 7. The Master boot loader is GRUB.
It worked fine until yesterday when, for some reason, Windows 7 refused to load anymore. I tried to repair with chkdsk, found and repaired some disk errors, but now the boot loader is damaged. The problem I have is that after selecting Windows from the GRUB list I get the installed version entry but I can't have access to Repair through F8 and thus I am not able to continue on the installation DVD. The problem I think would be simple, by writing a new boot using bootrec, but I don't have access to the console.
I've seen a solution/tutorial on this forum except that it requires to remove Linux, which is not at all my scope.
Thanks

A:Recover Windows 7 boot on dual boot system with GRUB masterboot

Information
Boot up using the Startup Repair CD or Windows 7 DVD. (not the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk) If you have a Netbook, you will need a CD/DVD drive.

NOTE: Make sure no USB drives are plugged in.
Do not use a USB Pendrive for Startup Repair.

1) Use the Rebuild BCD in this tutorial:
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

2) Fix MBR.

NOTE: As you have Linux installed, the above only works for 1 in 1000, must likely you will need to reinstall.
Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/182909-recover-windows-7-boot-dual-boot-system-grub-masterboot.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I installed Windows 8.1 to try.
The problem is that it stopped working and gives me troubleshooting boot menu .
I have Windows xp on the machine too that's working fine.
So now every time I open my pc, I get the boot menu where it says Windows 8 can't start. What u want to do. Run troubleshooting or boot in earlier version
I go ahead and select earlier version.
I just want to remove this menu and remove the entire Windows 8. I just want to go directly to Windows xp

A:Dual boot system (Windows 8.1 and xp), how to edit boot menu from xp

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management. To do this from XP, press the Prnt Scrn button, open built-in Paint to paste the screenshot in, Save File, attach back here in reply box using paper clip icon. Screenshot with Paint

If XP is still System Active in Disk Mgmt, then normally you can just delete 8, remove the boot entry in msconfig>Boot, but we need to see the screenshot to be sure of no unexpected configurations.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/360453-dual-boot-system-windows-8-1-xp-how-edit-boot-menu-xp.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Dual boot system with Win7 on C:/ and XP on D:/

I want to create an image of D:/ so that I may install a bootable XP system on a new HD, should D:/ fail.

I'm trying to use Win7 Backup to make the image. It will not allow me to chose JUST the XP drive to image. It has both C:/ and D:/ checked and I can't uncheck C:/.

Is there anyway to specify which HD to image with Win7?

A:Win7 backup not allowing choice of HD to image on dual boot system

As the the boot files are on C: you will need to backup both drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/185504-win7-backup-not-allowing-choice-hd-image-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi We have a problem with Windows Professional running on a Lenovo X laptop nbsp The quot Back up now quot feature does not work but the quot Create a system image' nbsp feature does work nbsp quot up but working 7 not system image now" Windows works "Back create Back Windows 7 "Back up now" not working but create system image works up now quot feature had been working before in the past but now clicking on the icon does nothing nbsp No response nbsp We backup this laptop to an external USB drive that has plenty of diskspace left nbsp I also tried backing up to a Windows 7 "Back up now" not working but create system image works new drive but no response so I don't think it's the drive There are no error messages in the event viewer and no error message ever appears onscreen nbsp Clicking on quot Back up now quot nbsp has no affect I'm thinking maybe a patch or recent update is somehow interfering with the backup software I have searched Google and found people with a similar problem due to the fact they installed Acronis backup software but we never used nbsp Acronis I briefly looked in the Registry but didn't see anything obviously wrong Has anyone had this problem before nbsp Or can someone point me in the right direction Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/434776e9-56b6-4539-aff6-06e2d6b0621e/windows-7-quotback-up-nowquot-not-working-but-create-system-image-works?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi there
Anybody tried this yet -- attempt to create a Dual boot system from a Windows to Go installation -- I'm trying to get a W7 portable system -- I was thinking that maybe I could create a W7 VHD (Virtual Hard drive) and then use the Windows to Go bootloader to attach and mount the W7 VHD and then boot from the VHD into W7.

Anybody attempted this yet --I think it's impossible to create a "Bog standard" W7 to go system but fiddling around with VHD's might work as W7 can boot from a VHD.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/28682-dual-boot-into-w7-windows-go-system.html
Relevancy 74.39%

My system Windows Pro -bit C-drive is a GB Plextor SSD Acronis True Image Background I setup a weekly scheduled disk image of my system drive C that gets sent to an external HDD TB This was working very well for months with incremental backups most of the image (and Acronis won't Backup) True create Macrium, Image Windows time and a full backup every five or six weeks I recently noticed that my backups haven't been happening since mid-August No errors or anything They're just not running I Acronis True Image (and Macrium, Windows Backup) won't create image opened Acronis and tried to run a backup manually But when I click the Back Up button nothing would happen I recreated my backup scheme as a new backup and ran that It runs but my computer slows to a crawl and eventually within minutes nothing responds to my clicks in or out of Acronis The hard drive light on the case lights up and even after I've let it run for several hours it never finishes I have to reset the computer to get it back up and running again Changing compression levels or priorities doesn't make a difference I installed Macrium Reflect and tried running the same disk image backup there but I had the same problem I also tried doing the backup using Windows backup program The backup doesn't slow down or crash my computer but it does fail at the end of the process I get this error One of the backup files could not be created Details The request could not be performed because of an I O device error Error code x A I can back up a non-system drive just fine so it seems like it's something wrong with my C-drive But I've had no other problems with it other than this Any help you could give me would be appreciated

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/380862-acronis-true-image-macrium-windows-backup-wont-create-image.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello!
I've got Windows 7 installed and would like to set up a dual boot system with an Ubuntu 9.04. However, I would like to use the Windows 7 boot loader instead of GRUB. How can I do that? Thanks in advance.

A:Linux Dual Boot System Using the Windows 7 Boot MGR

See if this thread from today helps: Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/84739-linux-dual-boot-system-using-windows-7-boot-mgr.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi there, first time posting. I have a problem on my system that on startup it opens windows boot manager and I have to choose to open windows vista. The only other option is to do a diagnostic scan, (which I have tried selecting with no results.) From What I have read, I understand this page would show up if I had multiple operating systems, but I don't. It didn't do this before. Can anybody help with what may be the issue?
Thanks in advance.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/267500-windows-boot-manager-system-not-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 73.53%
Relevancy 73.53%

hey yaull

Im currently running a dual boot system with both windows seven 64
and vista 32. both are installed on the same drive but under seperate partitions, i want to uninstall and format my vista partition while still keeping my windows seven install active. i tried just formatting the vista partition and keeping the seven but. when i tried this i got an error saying "windows cannot complete format" any one know how i can do this?? it would be much appreciated

Thanks

A:Deleting One Os From dual boot windows seven 64 system HELP!!!

I highly advise you to keep your Windows Vista partition. The Windows 7 beta expires, and when it does, you will be out of an operating system.

I would just resize your Vista partition and make your W7 partition larger, or just leave it alone.

Also, if anything goes wrong: you can always use your Vista partition to, sometimes, fix your W7 issues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/3853-deleting-one-os-dual-boot-windows-seven-64-system-help.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi I am new to this so I am sorry if I make any mistake. Okay, I have sony vaio laptop and i was running windows vista on it. I did a partition and dual boot the system with ubuntu 10.4. Then i download easybcd tool to set windows vista as a default OS to boot with, but accidently in easybcd software i unistalled vista boot loader. now when i reboot the system ubuntu works fine but when i try to load vista its says NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt and Delete to restart. Then tried to boot from cdrom because i have a fresh copy of Windows 7. the system doesnt boot from cdrom. So now i am stuck with ubuntu on my system.

Please Help!
Thanks.

A:windows not loading on dual boot system

If want repair vista Do this.

Try this:
Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.

System Repair Disc - Create
System Recovery Options
Repair Install

Or

Would like to do a clean of Win 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/93131-windows-not-loading-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I've had Windows crash twice on booting up in the last months The Windows logo appears out of the black screen just above where it says quot Starting Windows quot and then freezes before flashing a blue screen too quickly for me to see what it says and then starts a system repair Both times the repair has failed and I've had to resort to a System Image Recovery which solves the immediate issue but it seems there's an underlying Windows 7 and up Image boot crash recovery on System issue somewhere I have a Samsung Spinpoint F HD SJ SATA internal drive and I'm worried that it's on its way out even though it's only months old The CPU is an Windows 7 crash on boot up and System Image recovery Intel i and the motherboard is an ASUS P P -M B If it is Windows 7 crash on boot up and System Image recovery Windows that has the problem how do I stop it from doing this And if it's the HHD is it a problem with how the drives are or is mine dying and what are the options for a computer hardware novice Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 crash on boot up and System Image recovery

Windows, once again, had a problem booting up today. Instead of the usual black screen with Starting Windows and the logo coming out of the dark, I had the black screen with a green segmented loading bar at the bottom which I've learnt means trouble.

Luckily, Startup Repair worked this time, but I could still do with a jot of help please...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/263060-windows-7-crash-boot-up-system-image-recovery.html
Relevancy 73.1%

windows 7

bootmgr image is corrupt the system can not boot

dell inspiron 1545

i lost the disk to fix this issue
is there a place to get a download onto a flash drive to fix this issue
im stuck with no where to go please help
tiny

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/414550/windows-7-bootmgr-image-is-corrupt-the-system-can-not-boot/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi.

Right now i have dual boot system with windows 7 and xp - HP laptop. Windows 7 was installed first. XP was installed later. There are 4 primary partitions.
1. system reserved 100MB
2. win7 32 bit partition
3. xp partition
4. additional partition for data

And now i need to upgrade win7 32 to win 7 64 bit. I know it has to be a clean install.
I searched the forum and found info about creating dual boot 7/xp.

Basically right now i have both iof them installed, so if i reinstall/clean instal windows 7 on partition 2 will windows xp stay bootable?

Is this the way to go?
Format my partition 2 and install fresh copy win7 64 bit?
What about boot info for xp?

Thanks

A:upgrade win7 on dual boot system with windows xp

Let us see a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image.

During the booted Clean Install Windows 7 Steps 7/8 delete System Reserved and Windows 7 partition only, then create in that space a new partition for the install which will also likely create a new System Reserved partition. Format both partitions, make sure the new C partition is highlighted, then click Next.

This should configure a Dual Boot with XP, but if not afterwards install EasyBCD to add XP to a Windows Dual Boot.

Also look over the steps to do a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7 which covers everything to back up, how to achieve and maintain a perfect install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/356130-upgrade-win7-dual-boot-system-windows-xp.html
Relevancy 72.67%

1. I have Windows XP Sp3 (32bit)
2. I clean installed Windows 7 Professional (64bit) on a different partition for a dual boot.
3. Windows 7 installed nicely. I was on my new desktop.
4. Went to have coffee and chat with the neighbor
5. Came back and the new Windows 7 hung there, and my taskbar disappeared. Desktop with nothing on it.
6. Restarted my system, chose Windows 7 to load, got to the 'windows starting' with the nice colored logo. And then... Black screen and system hang. Tried again, same thing.
7. Reinstalled Windows 7. Got through untill the last part of installation, again got to the logo, and then black screen and system hang.

Now I can't finish installing.
My Xp Sp3 still boots and functions perfectly.

Any sugestions

A:Windows 7 64bit does not install on dual boot system

Probably some installation problems.... I have MacBook Pro and I run OSX Snow Leopard and Windows 7 64 bit without any problems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32478-windows-7-64bit-does-not-install-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello everyone!

I need help deleting the XP partition in my dual-boot system with Windows 7. I don't need to use de Windows XP OS and I just wan't to delete it. I must also add that I used the EasyBCD software to create the dual-boot menu, but I installed it in the Win XP OS.
Thanks in advance and appreciate your help.

I have attached a screenshot of my Disk Managment partitions.

A:I need help deleting the Windows XP partition in a dual-boot system

Boot into Windows 7 and type msconfig in the start-search box.Click on the boot tab and check if the windows xp is listed there.Open disk management,right click on XP partition and select delete volume.Make sure you back up all your data from the XP partition first.

Now open msconfig again,click on boot tab and delete the Windows XP from the list.Restart your system.If windows 7 doesn't boot up then try Start up repair Startup Repair to repair the MBR boot files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/214448-i-need-help-deleting-windows-xp-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Windows XP Vista dual boot machine I have hard drives one contains the Windows XP operating system SATA the other Vista SATA I have decided to remove Windows XP For the moment I have just unplugged the XP drive that is on SATA and turned the SATA drive a Boot Windows Dual System Vista Removing XP from off in the bios Everything appears to boot fine although on initial boot up it takes about - seconds until the Vista boot screens appears almost as if the computer is searching for something I plan to format the XP drive and use it to store data My question is is this an appropriate way to remove XP from a dual boot configuration I am concerned that I Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System need to make changes to the Vista configuration but I am not sure One last note in my system I believe I installed Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System XP first then install added Vista to create a multiboot system I would appreciate any insight that you may have

A:Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System

the bootloader you are using is probably that of vista.. try booting with the vista dvd.. then go to command prompt.. type Bootrec.exe /FixMbr to fix vista's bootloader and try booting again..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-windows-xp-from-a-vista-dual-boot-system-211398.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello all I want to uninstall WIndows SE completely from my machine and just run XP How What first Would formatting Windows SE drive partition do it Here s the rub Win SE is on my quot C quot partition while WinXP is on my quot G quot partition I can t figure out if formatting my quot C quot Dual my Uninstalling from boot 98SE Windows system? partition to rid myself of SE wouldn t also wipe out some of XP Here s another rub My Soundblaster Platinum soundcard was orginally installed on the quot C quot partition but works well with XP with updated Creative XP drivers Would wiping out the quot C quot partition wipe out my Soundblaster card installation or would I have to reinstall that sucker I have every CD installation disk for every program so that would not be a problem I ve only booted into Windows SE twice since installing XP last September-October The original notion being that if I didn t Uninstalling Windows 98SE from my Dual boot system? like XP I could uninstall it The issue may be moot in that I m building a GIG P MOBO with all the bells and whistles to stick in this case and will have to reinstal XP anyway What to do wait delete Win SE or punt What would John Wayne do confused Machine Dual booting Windows XP and Windows SE Partitioned with PartitionMagic Plll MHz MB RAM GIG MAXTOR HDD GIG WD HDD SBC YAHOO DSL nbsp

A:Uninstalling Windows 98SE from my Dual boot system?

Hello, EdGreene,

Format the C: drive. That will get rid of Win98. But will also remove the BOOT.INI file which was placed on C: drive, and is needed to boot XP.
So you'll then have to boot with the Win XP CD, and at the first option box that appears, press R for repair. Enter password if any, or if none, press Enter.
Type fixboot

Others might advise you on a better way to do this, so wait awhile.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/uninstalling-windows-98se-from-my-dual-boot-system.167599/
Relevancy 72.67%

I am unexperinte with partitions and boots on Windows amp and other systems too I had installed Windows x system? to Dual with Boot drive 7 Windows a How format ultimate on my computer in a GB hard drive I bought a new TB HD and created partitions two with GB and another with GB I copied my system from GB drive to the first GB partition on my new HD How to format a drive with Windows 7 Dual Boot system? and had a dual boot system installed How to format a drive with Windows 7 Dual Boot system? my old GB system and my old system copy on my new GB partition I following reinstalled the Windows x system in my second GB in order to reinstall all my programs again to clean up all dirt stuff I had installed since I installed Windows the first time Now I had boots working fine my old system my copy and my new system I in sequence formatted my old system in the GB and did a new boot and what a surprise The system did not boot any How to format a drive with Windows 7 Dual Boot system? more Surprised and desesperated I reinstalled the Windows again on my Gb drive and everything started normally again but I had boots my copy my new system where I was installing my programs again and the system in my Gb HD I looked now on my Disk Management and get the following Disk Drive E GB NTFS Healthy Active Primary Partition my copy Disk Drive C GB NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Crash Dump Primary Partition the system where I am installing my programs again Disk Drive F GB NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition I realize that when I did a format in my GB partition it had the system installed and that caused the boot crash My question is the following How can I move the system partition to my Disk in order I am format the disk to use as a data file only I had some things on Google and did some suggested procedures without success Can someone help me on this

A:How to format a drive with Windows 7 Dual Boot system?

Reading your post, all I see is one big mess, & not sure what stage you are at.
From what i can see, your HD Drive layout may be like the screenshot below.

Take a look at this base tutorial:
Help me get windows 7 to boot (again)

But you may like to start afresh with a clean install, with the 1TB HD Drive as Disk0 & the other HD Drive physically disconnect.

You also say you are dual booting, Windows 7 & OS unknown.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/184145-how-format-drive-windows-7-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I can't figure out which partition holds Windows 8 on my Dual Boot 7/8 system. I want to delete Windows 8 64 bit and reinstall Windows 8 32 bit, then update to Windows 8.1. I'm doing this because the system's old enough that 64 bit 8.1 won't install but maybe 32 bit will. I won't know unless I try.

Soooo . . . I need to figure out which partition Windows 8 is on so I can format the drive and reinstall.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

A:Dual Boot System - Which Partition Holds Windows 8

You will usually find there is a windows flag icon on the drive you are currently booted into.

Or check disk management for the word Boot on one of the partitions - that is the one you are currently in.

Or have a look at the partitions in windows explorer. 8 will have a thing on it called swapfile.sys (you need to have hidden and system files showing to see it ).

When you have figured that out, probably a good idea to label the partitions so you know what they are.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/34003-dual-boot-system-partition-holds-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I am dual booting Vista and Windows7 RC 7100. They are both on the same Hard Drive on different partitions. I have made the decision to stick with the new OS (Windows7) and give Vista the boot. So I want to get rid of the extra partition and revert to a single OS (Windows7). I don?t want to reformat the whole hard drive and completely re-install the windows7 operating system. I want to remove Vista from the dual boot menu and keep windows7. Then I want to format the Vista Partition. How can I do this and keep my present installation of Windows7 without having to reinstall Windows7?

Hope this is explained clearly.

FyrmnJ in Philly

A:Remove Windows Vista From Dual Boot System

Right-click Computer -> Click Properties. On the left panel you should see "Advanced system settings". Click that. You should be brought to the system properties familiar to NT 5.0 and 5.1 (2000 and XP). Click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery box.

Vista and 7 no longer allow you to edit the boot file from here since it uses a newer boot system. This screen will still allow you to just boot straight to 7. Make sure the Default Operating System is set to 7. Uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems:" and hit OK. Now you won't SEE Vista as an option anymore.

Now it's time to REMOVE it. Right-click Computer -> Click Manage -> Select Disk Management. Vista and 7 use a separate partition for the boot record. DO NOT touch this partition. Find the partition Vista is on, right-click it, and click Delete Volume. Hit 'Yes' on the confirmation screen and you're done with Vista. You can now extend 7 onto that partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/15546-remove-windows-vista-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Win7 pro x64. I can create images and restore them using bootable media [DVD], however if I attempt to restore an image using the Backup and Restore option in Control Panel, Specifically -

Recover system settings or your computer>Advanced recovery methods>use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer

when the system attempts to boot I get the follwing message:

Windows failed to start ....etc
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

The system suggests I use the Win7 install disk, which I allow to perform repairs. They do not work.
The recovery disk burned by Windows sees there is a problem and offers to fix. That does not work.

Have restored MBR per
MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Suggestions?

TIA

A:Win7 System Image Restore does not boot from Windows - 0xc0000225

Boot from win7 install dvd and press shift+f10 Command Prompt at Startup
Or win7 system repair disc and enter command prompt:

Code:
bcdedit /enum {default}
Post output

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/312754-win7-system-image-restore-does-not-boot-windows-0xc0000225.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 71.81%

A friend tried to upgrade his computer from Windows ME to Windows 2000 Professional.
He receive numerous problems on Window 2000 an would like to remove it. His computer
is running both operating systems (ME and 2000) and asks to choose when he boots up.

How do I remove the Windows 2000 Professional?

A:How do I remove Windows 2000 Professional from a dual boot system

The problem is mainly in your Boot.ini file. For this, the following article will help you out:

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

Back up your Boot.ini file using the instruction provided and then stop there. Next, post an exact copy of your original Boot.ini.

Remember: Do not tinker carelessly with the file or your computer can be harmed. Just post a copy here and then wait for further instructions.

Post the results as soon as you can and then I will give you further instructions. Good Luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-remove-windows-2000-professional-from-a-dual-boot-system.622820/
Relevancy 71.81%

I've got a dual-boot system with Ubuntu and Windows Ultimate x When I boot up the first screen I see is the Grub menu If I choose Windows then I go through Windows boot menu although I have it set not message Windows to system Failed - dual start boot to display anything because I now have only one copy of Windows on the machine - I had two copies of Win Ultimate before I decided to remove one and go Windows Failed to start message - dual boot system with Ubuntu instead So normally Windows would boot up That does happen most of the time but occasionally - maybe once in or so boots Windows starts to boot then the system reboots and I get back into Grub I then select Windows again and I get the message quot Windows failed to start quot and a list of options I choose Start Windows Normally and it boots up and runs fine I don't see anything in Event Viewer that would suggest a HDD problem I have run many tests on drive memory and CPU and all PASS I ran quot sfc scannow quot and it reports no problems I have run CHKDSK and again no problems I have been having this problem for a while long before I installed Ubuntu so I cannot blame it for corrupting anything Any ideas Thanks FW

A:Windows Failed to start message - dual boot system

Follow this please:
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/311728-windows-failed-start-message-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have been running a standard HDD with (windows boot system [SOLVED] in dual 7/XP) Accessing files Windows XP Home SP and GB DDR RAM I recently added an SSD on which I have installed Windows Home Premium the intention being to use the SSD Windows with installed programmes to speed up the system and to use the existing HDD to store data documents pictures videos and music where they already reside From the SSD I can access the old HDD but when I try to open My Documents I am told that I do not quot have permission to view this folder Click continue to permanently get access to this folder quot When I click continue I am told that I quot have been denied permission to access this folder To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab quot When I follow this through I eventually reach a page which tells me that it is unable to display the current owner What I am wondering is if I change the ownership of this folder will I still be [SOLVED] Accessing files in dual boot system (windows 7/XP) able to boot up the HDD using XP and access the files from that disc

A:[SOLVED] Accessing files in dual boot system (windows 7/XP)

Because you are trying to access folders from a different user account than the one which those folders belonged to Windows automatically denies access (even though you created that user account, Windows has no way of knowing that).

You need to "take ownership" of those folders by changing the security permissions.
Altering ownership permissions will in no way affect your ability to boot into that OS and access files on it.

Windows 7 Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to Access Files & Folder

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-accessing-files-in-dual-boot-system-windows-7-xp-614959.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I had Fadora Core (I think it was that one) installed on my computer alongside Windows XP, but I recently reinstalled XP and now I can't access Linux because my multi boot menu is gone. How can I fix this? I know that Linux is still installed because Partition Magic shows me all the partitions. Please Help

-Daniel

A:System was set up for dual boot but I reistalled Windows and can't access linux now

When you install Windows, it overwrites your master boot record, whether you want it to or not. Unfortunately, this is where the boot menu is located in which you select which operating system you would like to boot.

In order to get it back, boot up with you Fedora CD in the drive. I'm not too familiar with the Fedora install process, but if it's like most other distributions I've used, you should be able to skip past most of the install process to the point where it installs the boot loader (I believe the default for Fedora is Grub, although it is possible that you chose to use LILO when you initially installed it.. If you used to get a full screen, probably graphical, menu then it is definately grub).

Alternatively, if you can break out to a command line from the install CD (either by selecting a rescue mode at boot or by pressing CTRL-ALT F1 (or F2, F3, etc) once the installer is loaded, you can manually install grub by doing the following:

Type 'grub' at the command prompt.

At the 'grub>' prompt type 'root (hd0,0)' ***
At the next 'grub>' prompt type 'setup (hd0)'
Finally, type 'quit', and reboot, make sure you take the CD out of the drive.

*** hd0,0 assumes that you are installing onto the master drive on the primary IDE controller.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Ken

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-was-set-up-for-dual-boot-but-i-reistalled-windows-and-cant-access-linux-now.401224/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

A:Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

What kind of BIOS you have? UEFI or Legacy (MBR)?
Can you give us a snapshot of disk manager?
Do you have a external HDD to make a backup image of your Win 7 pro partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble I had a GB Hard drive that was getting kind of crowded it was my sole hard drive I had XP on it and as I had no problems with it I was content to stick with it I bought a gb hard drive and not 7 detecting system boot anymore failure, Windows Dual as my fiancee had bought me an upgrade to Vista and then I put Windows on the new drive and left XP Dual boot system failure, not detecting Windows 7 anymore on the old The old drive the GB already had C taken so I named the new one G So everything was working fine and if I wanted to switch OS's I'd just reboot and choose the one I wanted Sadly my C drive just died I was like quot bummer I'll pop it out and just worth the windows one now quot However on start up I'm getting a bad boot file message and to put the install system disk in I do that and choose the restore option but its not showing that I have any previous versions of windows on it When I do the repair option it says it was fixing a partition error I can see the windows files when I use the command prompt and still see that windows is there under the G drive My question is does windows now think my G drive is supposed to be C Is that why it wont boot properly I mean it seems to be looking for windows to be under the C drive but its actually under G if that makes sense If so I found an article on how to change the drive letters via regedit at the command prompt Or do you think my hard drive is just hosed and that I need to reformat Thanks for looking and any help at all would be greatly appreciated Sorry I dont have specific info I'm not near the malfunctioning computer at the moment Oh I did go into the bios and check the settings in there It does recognize the drive and the fact that the older gb is no longer there Sorry if this is noobish

A:Dual boot system failure, not detecting Windows 7 anymore

Quote: Originally Posted by Vinbot1

Hello,

I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble. I had a 160GB Hard drive that was getting kind of crowded, it was my sole hard drive. I had XP on it and as I had no problems with it, I was content to stick with it. I bought a 500gb hard drive and as my fiancee had bought me an upgrade to Vista and then 7, I put Windows 7 on the new drive and left XP on the old. The old drive (the 160GB) already had C: taken so I named the new one G:.

So, everything was working fine and if I wanted to switch OS's I'd just reboot and choose the one I wanted. Sadly my C: drive just died. I was like ".. bummer. I'll pop it out and just worth the windows 7 one now." However on start up I'm getting a bad boot file message and to put the install/system disk in. I do that and choose the restore option but its not showing that I have any previous versions of windows on it! When I do the repair option it says it was fixing a partition error. I can see the windows files when I use the command prompt and still see that windows is there under the G: drive.

My question is; does windows now think my G: drive is supposed to be C ? Is that why it wont boot properly? If so I found an article on how to change the drive letters via regedit. Or do you think my hard drive is just hosed?

Thanks for looking and any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry I dont have specific info, I'm not near the malfunctioning computer at the moment. Oh, I did go into the bios and check the settings in there. It does recognize the drive.

When you dual boot win 7 it puts the boot files into a hidden 100 (in win 7, 350 in win 8) Mb folder on the original OS drive.

So when you install win 7 it added that folder to the XP drive. When the drive failed the folder cant be found.

Thats the reason it works with the win 7 dvd in the drive.

You should be able to use the win 7 dvd to repair the current HD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/193635-dual-boot-system-failure-not-detecting-windows-7-anymore.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hey guys,

I need some help. I am the same person who posted a thread about needing drivers for Windows 7 after dual booting it with my preinstalled copy of Windows 8. So, I was on Windows 7 today, and my screen randomly blinked on and off for 5 seconds, and then came up with a message saying my system display driver crashed but had recovered. Then, about a minute later, it crashed again and came up with a BSOD saying that the display driver had crashed but failed to recover. I do not have the error code from it, as I only saw this screen once, and forgot to copy down the codde because I got freaked out But anyways, I have copied the system report to this post from the Seven Forums System Tool. I am currently running in safe mode on my Windows 7.

Thanks for help in advance!

A:System Crash: Dual Boot running Windows 7 and 8: BSOD

There are enough signs here that I have to wonder about this installation. Should this be a pirated copy of Windows, please be aware that we may not be able to fix it (as the hacks that were done to activate it will cause the OS to behave differently than we expect it to). If that's the case, our efforts to help may just waste your time. Secondly, the forum rules prohibit assisting with pirated software - so the topic would be closed if that is the case.

Please provide the MGADiag report according to these instructions (from this post: Product Key Number - Uninstall and Deactivate in Windows - Page 3 - Windows 7 Help Forums ):

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
Once saved, run the tool.
Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/45839-system-crash-dual-boot-running-windows-7-8-bsod.html
Relevancy 71.38%

How to Create Your Own XP System How Restore Guide dual System XP Your Create boot to Disk Own guide + Restore Disk Guide dual boot guide This guide is for XP users with home built systems It may also work for others but I have not How to Create Your Own XP System Restore Disk Guide + dual boot guide tested it on any brand name systems Everybody knows How to Create Your Own XP System Restore Disk Guide + dual boot guide that there is How to Create Your Own XP System Restore Disk Guide + dual boot guide nothing sweeter then a fresh installation of XP Your computer starts and runs faster It almost never freezes up and crashes Everybody also knows that as time goes by your computer starts to slow to a crawl You run the gambit of system utilities defrag registry cleaner garbage cleaner etc but your system never runs like it did when you first installed XP and deep down you know that it never will until you do a complete reformat and reinstall of XP So what is holding you back Well you also know that it will take a lot of time to reformat reinstall windows reinstall all of your favorite programs and download the truck load of updates that have occurred since you first bought your system and your programs And let s not forget about your system drivers Now if you bought a brand name system it most likely came with a set of restore disk or a restore partition on your hard drive Or it may have a program that asked you to create the restore disk when you first started it up In any case you may already have your restore capabilities if you have a brand name system But even then doing a system restore would only take you back to the original OEM created system I personally hate brand name computers because of all of the proprietary junk on them and usually blow away their junk on the hard drive and install a raw copy of XP But that s just me Now back to the subject This guide will show you how to create a full system restore disk that will contain your Operating System Installed Software Updates and Drivers at the time the restore disk was created In order to make a clean disk I suggest that you do complete reformat and new installation of you OS system drivers updates and favorite programs This way when you create the restore disk it will be of the best state that your system can be and will restore your system to that point when you use it Assuming that you are at the point that and you want to create your restore disk download and install Acronis True Image software There are other programs that can do this but I have not used them and cannot give you a detailed walk through Creating your Restore Image File Now run Acronis True Image Under Pick a Category click on Backup and Restore Click on Backup up pops the Create Backup Wizard Click next Select MY COMPTURE and click next Select Disk and Partitions and click next In the Partition Selection windows select the partition containing the your XP installation this will almost always be the C drive Click OK on the next window Information pop up In the Backup Archive Location window select the drive where you wan to store the backup file It really does not matter where you store the file if you are planning to burn it to a DVD later If you don t plan to burn it to a DVD I strongly suggest that you save it to a secondary hard drive Once you have selected the folder save it to type a name in the Folder box after the mark Example D System Backup Folder Full System Backup Click next Select Full System Backup Archive and click next Select Use Default Options and click next If you to give your archive a detailed description you can do it in this next window or you can leave it blank and click next And after clicking next for the th time you finally reach the end and still need to click proceed Depending on the speed of your system and the size of your backup it could take a while to create you back up Now that you have your backup file you can burn the file to a DVD You don t need to do anything ... Read more

A:How to Create Your Own XP System Restore Disk Guide + dual boot guide

How to Create Your Own XP System Restore Disk Guide + dual boot guide. Part 2

One additional note I want to add before finishing this guide, is that if you plan to use this to dual boot, there are some additional steps you have to take to get it to dual boot. Since, when you do the restore as a dual boot option, you are not running the installation process, windows will not modify the boot.ini file to add the new XP installation as a boot option at start up. With out this, you will not be able to boot from the new XP system. In order to modify the boot.ini file you will need to go through several steps. I will give you two ways to do this below. The first one is the best and safest way to do it, the other is faster but there is some risk involved.

Option 1: This option uses the Windows Recovery Console. The simplest way to start the recovery console is to pop your XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. In most case you system should come with a black screen after the post process and say ?PPRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD ?.. You really need to pay close attention during the restart process to catch this screen as it only stays up for a few seconds. Of course you need to press a key, any key on your key board while this screen is up. If you don?t see this screen you need to do one of several things. Depending on your motherboard brand it may be a simple as press one of you F keys during the post process to bring up the boot menu screen, where you choose to boot fro the CDROM. On a Gigabyte board, pressing F12 will do this. At last resort you might have to edit your BIOS to boot from your CD first before booting to your harddrive. As there are to many BIOS configurations out there to cover, I will leave you to yourself to figure out how to do this if it come to it.

NOTE: If you have gold edition XP (before SP1) this recovery console option will not work. Don?t worry, you can create your own up to date SP3 edition of XP using a method called ?Slipstreaming?. Don?t worry, it?s perfectly legal. In fact I am going to send you to the Microsoft website for instruction on hoe to do it. This link is on how to slip stream SP2 with XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900871/. Microsoft has not yet created a guide for SP3. Here is a good guide for this: http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/Slipstreaming_Windows_XP_Service_Pack_3.html

Now you don?t actually have to create a bootable CD to use the updated recovery console. Once you have integrated SP3 into the folder you copied the contents of your XP disk, you can install it from this folder: Here how.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons , where d is the drive letter for the drive letter where you created you slipstreamed XP folder. For example: If the folder where you copied the contents of you XP disk is called XP Disk, and your created it on F drive, then the command would look like this: f:\XP disk\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons. Press enter.
3. A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears. The Windows Setup Dialog Box describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.
4. Restart the computer. The next time that you start your computer, "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" appears on the startup menu.

Okay, now that you have boot from your XP CD, choose the Repair option by pressing R when you get to the selection screen. If you installed the repair console to your boot menu, just select it at start up and press enter. Once the repair console has loaded, it will bring you to a command prompt screen and ask you to choose which windows installation to repair. You should see two installations here. Type the letter 1 and press enter. It will then ask you for your administrator?s password. If you don?t know what the administrator?s password is, try leaving it blank and pressing enter. If that does not work, try entering you... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-create-your-own-xp-system-restore-disk-guide-dual-boot-guide.112918/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi, I got two laptops today, one with Windows 7 and the other with Windows 8, both 64-bit machines.

I don't have a windows 8 dvd around and I don't have the internet to download a windows 8 .iso image.

All I have is a USB stick. I'm not sure how creating a system image works but from the last article I read, both computers must have equal disk size or larger and the destination disk of the laptop for the process is a tad smaller than the source partition.

A:Create Windows 8 iso image from pre-installed Windows

Have you made the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

Information

We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD. (Windows 8 only)
Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
System Repair Disc - Create in Windows 8 (Windows 8 only)

I would recommend you making the OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's or USB drive.
or
You can order the Microsoft official OEM Recovery disks from the OEM manufacturer's website.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/54442-create-windows-8-iso-image-pre-installed-windows.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi I bought HP laptop with the above said model from HP on st of september in sweden but i want to install Orcad v on my laptop but this software is compatible only for upto windows server or previous version of microsoft operating systems so when i want to install windows XP operating system i couldn t able to install since it was saying that it didnt recognize the hard dv6500 pavilion boot operating vista dual lapt a with HP on system installing windows disk and its necessary drivers in hard disk as well since I bought this laptop only to use orcad v version latest version as my primary need when i approached their service point they said it is not possible and you can find it in our website also about non compatibility of the other operating systems even it is from microsoft installing a dual boot windows operating system with vista on HP pavilion dv6500 lapt also but they did not say while i am buying laptop from them about the compatibility of other operating system it is due to faith on HP laptops but now they say that it will not then it is of o use to installing a dual boot windows operating system with vista on HP pavilion dv6500 lapt buy laptop from HP since they are controlling the freedom of choice of choosing operating system to use on HP laptops by the customer It is simply cheating the customer if any body suggests about how to get hardware drivers to install on HP laptop it would be a great help for me thanks and regards vasu nbsp

A:installing a dual boot windows operating system with vista on HP pavilion dv6500 lapt

Try and read this.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-85807-HP-Pavilion-dv6565ca-HD-SATA-driver.html

It mentions finding the intel SATA driver, putting it on a floppy, and pressing F6 during the WinXP install and loading the SATA drivers.
Then WinXP installer should find the hard drive.

However if you want to keep Vista around, you will have to resize your partition before attempting to install XP.
To do this you would need Partition Magic or GParted.

Then when you do install XP you have no guarantee that you will be able to find drivers for everything. Since HP doesn't seem to want to support XP, you will probably have to try installing drivers from the hardware makers. For example if the motherboard uses an Intel chipset, you will need the reference drivers from intel. I think it uses a GeForce video chipset, so you would need drivers from Nividia. You would also need ethernet drivers from whoever made the network chipset.
Its going to be a bit of searching.

If you can return it, try and find someone still making xp laptops, or at least still offering drivers for the hardware if you choose to install xp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-a-dual-boot-windows-operating-system-with-vista-on-hp-pavilion-dv6500-lapt.625859/
Relevancy 69.23%

I just fixed a fairly serious problem on my computer and I thought it was going to wind up needing to re-image my machine with an image from month or so ago.
It didn't require that but, thinking about it has me itching to do a completely fresh install and make an image that I love instead of needing to rely on one that is OK.

What is the best way?

Is there a resource, that is layman friendly, to tell me the best way to do this. Or if it is quick maybe you can just tell me on here.

My Acronis stopped working when I upgraded to win 8.1. Now I am stuck with Windows 10 and I don't really know how to make it work. I have seen some msdn.microsoft.com articles but they don't look like my Windows 10.

A:Best way to create an image for windows 10?

My go-to application is Clonezilla, which is free, so perhaps give that a whirl. Videos such as this are worth watching to help you learn.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-way-to-create-an-image-for-windows-10.1169247/
Relevancy 68.37%

I bought an Acer notebook with Windows SL Single Language and UEFI - partition image 8 Windows Create BIOS with Secure Boot factory installed Windows Key is set in Bios I have the habit of installing all programs and make an image of partition C in case of having to reinstall the entire system for problems with Windows HDD exchange or similar cases With this gain too long and not have to Create partition image - Windows 8 reinstall all the programs one Create partition image - Windows 8 by one My HDD is partitioned into parts C E F and G When I enter the Windows app to generate the system image appear two partitions pre-marked for backup C Programs and EFI System Partition no drive letter C partition is formatted as NTFS but the EFI is as FAT My question is when I restore this how should I format the partition where you install the system again C Format all the partition as NTFS and Backup app creates the EFI partition FAT by own Please can you explain how it works and how to proceed I will boot the system by CD-ROM In advance thank you to all who contribute

A:Create partition image - Windows 8

Please can you explain how it works and how to proceed?

You can use the Windows system image all partitions.

System Image - Create in Windows 8

than Recovery will repartition all the partitions.
System Image Recovery - Restore Image on Computer in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/27580-create-partition-image-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 machine that i have installed on it all the neccesery programs that i need.
I have about 10 computers with the same hardware that i would like to put on them the same Windows 7 as i have in the prototype machine.
My question is:

1: what kind of porgram can i use in order to do that easly.

2: my windows 7 is activated with a KMS server on my network, is it suppose to be a problem?

Thanks.

A:How to create an Image file of Windows 7.

Hello

Start with a look through this tutorial linked below and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/184729-how-create-image-file-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 68.37%

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet Using this to create backup with mulitple DVD RW's,need to format so I went to disk management,right click on D drive,chose format option UDF 2.01,click ok,error message "quick format is not possible".I have been to many other forums where the same problem has occured with no useable solution.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank You.

A:Windows 8.1 create image backup with DVD's

Backing up to optical media is risky, even when it seems to work. Usually takes 4, 5 or more discs and one of them may be defective in some way.

You would be much better of to spend $60 and get a 1Tb USB 3.0- External Hard drive and use Macrium Reflect Free to make images backups of your system. Fast and safe.

Good tutorial here: Imaging with free Macrium

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/65594-windows-8-1-create-image-backup-dvds.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I am needing to create Window 98 and Windows XP dual boot system from scratch.

Can I just use Win 98 startup up disk to start doing the install and will it do partitions or do I need to use FDISK to create partitions.

I relize the Windows 98 uses only FAT 32 and not the newish sytem of NSFS (spelling) system in where Windows XP does also that Windows 98 goes in C:\windows and Windows XP goes in D:\windows.

From scratch as if new hard drive do I need to use FDISK? or can I just start by inserting Windows 98 starup disk and it will ask me to create partitions (2), etc?

David

A:Windows 98 and Windows XP dual boot system (step by step)

XP then 98

Install Guides: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/install98cd/index.htm http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxpprox64/installxpcdnewhdd/indexemu.htm
XP must be installed first!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-98-and-windows-xp-dual-boot-system-step-by-step.135738/
Relevancy 67.51%

Windows Backup settings option "Include a system image" does not include all drives.
Is it possible to have Windows Backup take images of all drives, or is it better to just go with selecting other drives via the drive letter options?

Perhaps a silly question.
Other than ability to recover from hardware errors etc, does Windows Backup have any other advantage(s) over System Restore?

A:Can Windows Backup create image for all drives?

Hello Hairyscot,

When you select include a system image it will back up your c: drive and system reserved if you have one. Basically any drive which is needed for windows to run. You can select any drive to include in the backup if you want. When you do a restore it will restore ALL the drives that were selected in the backup, not individual ones.

When you do a system image restore it will restore EVERYTHING on that drive. It's good if you have a bad virus, malware and need to completely restore the windows drive. System Restore doesn't always (actually rarely) remove viruses, etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/225056-can-windows-backup-create-image-all-drives.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Okay, so I bought a laptop with an OEM serial key and I got windows home basic with it. My internet has limitations and I cannot afford to download a 3 GB .iso or image file of windows 7 home basic. Incase my system gets corrupt or anything happens I would like to have a backup of my whole OS, so is their any way to extract the whole OS from my computer to just one ".iso" file? which later I can convert into a bootable USB flash drive of disc. Plus if possible can I make the iso file which contains my OS and also all the drivers pre installed?

A:How to create a .iso image file of my pre installed windows 7?

How about creating an image for peace of mind,

Imaging with free Macrium

Saves a complete image of your system exactly as it was when created, countless people have saved their systems from certain disaster by imaging.

Imaging strategies

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/261556-how-create-iso-image-file-my-pre-installed-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have just finished a System Repair on my Windows 7 using repair ISO, and I'm not sure if I should do a system image backup before deleting old files with Disk Cleanup, or delete them after I've done a Repair Disc and System Image as well. I'm also afraid to delete anything at this stage. Would it be safe to delete Restore Points and Shadow Copies at this stage (I only did repair today), or should I wait a week or so?
I guess what I'm asking is when and what to delete and when to create a System Image and Repair Disc. New to all this and don't want to muck it up, so any help I can get would be very much appreciated. I have printed out your tutorials to follow on Disk Cleanup and removing $Window.~Q file.
Thank you

A:When to delete old files and create System Image after System Repair

Make your system image now, using Macrium Reflect. You will be able to return to this point regardless of what happens.
Now delete your restore points and then make a new one, so that you can fix any future problems.
Now make another image.
You, also, want to download the free Macrium Reflect and make your images on an external hard drive. You will be able to save as many as you want.
Following these instructions you cannot go wrong. You can always come back to what you have right now.
Macrium Reflect Free

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/365107-when-delete-old-files-create-system-image-after-system-repair.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi,

Hope this is the right forum.

Anyways, I have two computers, a desktop and laptop (Lenovo X60). I want to create an image of a clean Windows 7 installation, after some tweaks, (but without any extraneous applications installed) that is capable of being deployed onto both of these systems, so that instead of doing a custom install of Windows 7 and re-doing those little, time-consuming tweaks, I can just deploy this standard image of Windows 7 onto either of these machines when I want to do a "fresh" install.

My question is, is the correct way to do this to use the WAIK for Windows 7 and follow along the lines of these instructions? And that will be able to create an (standard but tweaked) image of Windows 7 I can use for multiple computers, even ones that have differing hardware?

Thanks.

A:Windows Automated Install Kit 7 - create image for different hardware

Yes, that is the recommended way to create Win7 Images, using MS tools.

You may want to check out this link for information about the sysprep and WAIK procedures. I found this guide helpful when we started our Win7 project here.
However, we've now gone a different route using Novell tools, which is unlikely that you will have access to.

Making images is what I do here, so I'l do my best to help you out as I can.
First off before I can though, does your windows license permit you to make an image for more than the purpose of a backup?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/111791-windows-automated-install-kit-7-create-image-different-hardware.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Good day...

I wanted to create an image of my os and applications so i found the " recimg" in windows 8 and 8.1 and i did the image i needed but if i wanted to recovery this image how can i recover it in bios boot can i create for it a partition and make bootable USB flash drive or i can put it on external hard drive and also recover it from bios like "express recovery2 on gigabyte motherboard"

Thanks

A:Create custom image of windows with bootable USB flash dr

If you have a large enough USB stick you could use Macrium Reflect Free to put both the boot restore program and the image on the stick. There may be a way to do something similar with the Windows imaging tools but I have used 3rd party tools for so long I haven't tried the built-ins.

Perhaps another poster can answer about using the Windows imaging tools.
But the Macrium imaging is about as easy as it gets. No need to read the manual.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/68699-create-custom-image-windows-bootable-usb-flash-dr.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have an old PC with a fairly small (and almost full) SSD C drive and a couple of HDDs. When running a "Create a system image" backup, both the C and D drives are flagged as "system" and are automatically marked as being included in the backup. That was not the case on another PC.

I see nothing on the D drive that looks like system stuff. Things like the users, hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, etc. directories are all on the C drive, and only the C drive is flagged with the Windows icon.

Any idea why the system image create function thinks D is a system disk?

A:Create system image - what constitues a system drive?

Please complete this tutorial so members can take a look.

By Golden:

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/379198-create-system-image-what-constitues-system-drive.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Below is an image of my drives the hp recovery drives has my old system image file for windows vista which came with my pc i have upgraded to windows seven now i wanna know how can i delete the hp recovery drive and make that memory part of my main harddrive or/and how can i make a windows seven system image and replace the vista system image with the windows seven system image and just so im confirming that I know what im talking about a system image is just so u can erase everything off your pc and start back from that specific point someone please correct me if im wrong thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A:how to replace my vista system image with a windows seven system image

Hi bigboi1972. Well this should be fairly straight forward. (I stress the should).

Firstly, a system image is out (and your definition is correct by the way thats exactly what a system image is). That drive is waaay too small to make a system image of your C drive.

However if you get some more storage, a system image can be made from Backup and restore centre in Windows 7.

So to remerging it with your drive. Can you please post a screenshot of your Disk Management Screen? go start right click computer, and click manage, then go to Disk Management. that will help to see whether what you want to do will be possible using Windows own inbuilt tools or whether you need a 3rd party app

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/90606-how-replace-my-vista-system-image-windows-seven-system-image.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I saw this link (again) today and it seems that many users need to read it and implement the suggestions:How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup CD-DVD from a Pre-loaded-Preinstalled Windows System (howtohaven.com) - http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwin...setupdisk.shtml Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/200363/how-to-create-a-bootable-windows-xp-setup-cd-dvd-from-a-pre-loaded-preinstalled-windows-system/
Relevancy 65.79%

Trying to create a system image of my windows 10 and it will not let me put in on usb says invalid location for system image. How do get a system image on a lexar usb? Please help before my laptop crashes. Thanks

A:How to create system image on a usb

USB Flash drives are not large enough to hold a system image. I suppose if you have a small amount of disk usage and a big flash drive you could try to format it to ntfs. Your best bet is to get an external hard drive to back up too.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434876-how-create-system-image-usb.html
Relevancy 65.79%

i am trying to back up and create a system image but evert time i do i get this error THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED OX87007002, PLEASE DOSE ANY ONE KOWN HOW TO FIX THIS, i have window 7 64 bit professional i think the problem is with this system reserved partition

A:create a system image

I, also, have Windows 7 64bit and this has always worked for me. Open Control Panel and in the Category View click on System and Security where you will see a link, Backup Your Computer and from there click on Create a System Image. I do this about twice a week and have even restored from an image that I made previously. As I said, it has never failed me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/196485-create-system-image.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi All

I want to create a system image on my NTFS formatted portable WesternD HDD. Now It has about 250GB of space left(the portable HDD), and the Laptop PC that i want to create the image of, tells me I need about 199GB for the system image.
Then first time I created the image, it gave me a failure message saying I should run a CHKDSK /R and ty again. I ran a CHKDSK /R on the external drive and tried making a system image again, where it got about halfway and gave me the same message. What is going wrong every time?

Also, when I eventually successfully manage to make a system image, can I use that image to restore my PC should it crash or go haywire or should I make a System repair disk as well, or are those two separate from each other?

Thank You

Relevancy 65.79%

I am attempting to create a system image of my c Windows Professional RTM drive to a network drive I keep getting the following message when the process completes quot New bad clusters were Cannot System Image Create a found on the source drive These clusters were not backed up x D quot I tried running CHKDSK C R F from an administrative command prompt This necessitated restarting Windows and running CHKDSK prior to starting Windows Following completion I tried running the image creation again with the same message Obviously I do not want to try a restore since that could totally hose my system I looked at the target drive and it does appear that a number of files and folders have Cannot Create a System Image been created but whether these are any good or not I am not in a position to say Is this a documented bug and is there a know fix Windows Professional RTM dual booting with Windows RC using RC to test Office in a test environment GB memory HD Networked Gateway Laptop HP Officejet All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection

A:Cannot Create a System Image

Ok - this may explain the 512K discrepancy, but does not resolve the problem. Microsoft should look to find a way for users to make a usable image backup - otherwise the entire image backup utility is worthless for anyone running a dual boot configuration. Given what you are saying, I think it isfair to say that the problem is not a bad cluster - it is a cluster that Windows does not recognize. Apparently it can be done, as I was able to create and restore an image backup successfully using Acronis True Image 2010. Windows 7 Professional RTM
2 GB memory 160 HD
Networked (wired and wireless)Gateway Laptop
HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer
Verizon FIOS Internet Connection

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9092043f-87d3-4691-84ed-df3b63140297/cannot-create-a-system-image?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 65.79%

I'm using the original Win I just did this Control Panel Win File Recovery Create a system image GB estimate image system a Create GB actual files folders took minutes Questions Will it get a true copy of the Registry It seems like I Create a system image should have to boot using the System Repair Disc and quot Create a system image quot through that because then the Registry would not be in use Some other thread said to use Macrium Reflect Free - because of some problem using Win 's program to do it where the image will not restore but here too Macrium Reflect is run off of the hard drive you don't boot to it - wouldn't the Registry be in use for Macrium also and not copy because it's locked I'm making the image of the OS from a GB drive to another GB drive I thought the program would be formatting the whole drive before it made the image but the whole process only took minutes so I'm pretty sure it didn't do that Do I need to delete what's on there before I do another image - I think I should be able to do this Will it make the next one with a different file name automatically I'm wondering about this for both the Win program and Macrium Reflect I made a System Repair Disc through this Control Panel Recovery Create a Recovery Drive Is that the same thing as if I went through Control Panel Win File Recovery Create a system repair disc I keep all my files in one folder I found this program is good to Mirror them to an external drive I keep two extra copies SyncBackFree BrightSparks Download SyncBackFree

A:Create a system image

In SyncBackFree, I figured out that they apply a filter, so it doesn't backup copy thumbs.db and desktop.ini (among other needless things) . . . that's why there was a difference in the number of files between the source and destination (262 fewer) . . . I deleted the contents of the filter, because then I can easily verify that it copied over everything.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/44769-create-system-image.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Getting this message. I ran chkdsk..no luck.

A:Cannot create system image

Hi,
Try a reliable imaging program
Imaging with free Macrium

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/394983-cannot-create-system-image.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello All I am pretty new to this whole Bleeping Computer stuff but I sure have been having a lot of fun since I joined My problem today is creating a system image Here is my story I decided that when it is time to upgrade to Windows I would like to do so via a clean install In order to do this safely I figured that it would be best to have a system image of my machine before I attempted a clean install So here is where I began running into problems I did not know that a system image was so large I thought that I could store a system image on a gb USB drive Following Create Please Help Image System a Me the directions that I was able to find here and there around the internet the file that should contain my system image is like gb or so So then I decide to put this system image on a second internal hard drive but my other hard drive has never been formatted Now I need to transfer all of the data on that hard drive to an external hard drive so that I can format my internal hard drive How do I move that data Do I just click and drag or is there software to do this job Then after I move the data how do I format my hard drive I have never formatted a hard drive before After I have done all of that can Please Help Me Create a System Image I now follow the directions that I have and make Please Help Me Create a System Image a system image Please Help Me Create a System Image to my nd internal hard drive Will any of this work as a plan to install Windows as a clean install Also after I have a system image of my machine on the nd hard drive can I then use that software as a means of re-installing the programs that are on my computer so that I can restore my system's functions after the clean install of Windows As you can see I am confused and I am not sure what I am doing Any help or guidance would be appreciated Attached is an image of my hard drives Any other images that you need to help I will try to provide

A:Please Help Me Create a System Image

To amend part 3 of my question above, do I have to create some kind of partition on me 2nd hard drive in order to create and store a system image? I guess that is what I originally meant when I was asking about formatting my hard drive. It seems that my target hard drive does not have any partitions, so do I need a partition and how do I create one?

Another question, what is the difference between a system image and a custom refresh image? I think that I can create a custom refresh image on one USB drive, will this help me in case I have a total system failure while installing Windows 10?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576477/please-help-me-create-a-system-image/
Relevancy 65.79%

On a friend's new Dell Windows 8 desktop I tried to create a system image using Windows 7 File Recovery. I got a message saying it could not create the image. The message said "windows backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the efi system partition". Any ideas what I might try? Thanks

A:Cannot create system image

Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Server 2003/2008

Works good.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/33992-cannot-create-system-image.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I have read the tutorials and I am still a bit confused. If I create a System Image what exactly am I backing up? Is it a copy of Win 7 and does it include all the loaded software and drivers? Does it also copy My Documents and everything on the drive in question or should I back up My Documents etc. separately. Any advice please.

A:What does a System Image create?

Hello Judesman,

A system image is a complete copy/clone of the selected hard drives with everything on them included.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/127199-what-does-system-image-create.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi guys.

I am trying to image my hard drive. I have a Corsair Force 120 SSD.

When I try to back it up onto multiple discs, it doesn't even get past the first one. It seems like it is writing data to the disc, but there's nothing on it. Also it keeps asking me to insert a blank disc and label it disc 1. It can't seem to progress onto further disc numbers.

I recently tweaked the system using the guide on the Black Viper website to optimize performance, and perhaps I turned off a service which the imaging system depends upon, only I'm not sure which one.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Mick

A:Can't create system image

Hello Mick and welcome to the Forum.

There has been a long-standing problem with Windows 7 being able to create a system image to disks. People have reported that sometimes a -R disk works while a +R doesn't, or a +RW works and a -RW doesn't. Also, the Win 7 imaging tool seems to have a specific preference for the brand of burner. This is just one Microsoft forum that talks about the disk issue. There are many more.

Problems creating system image onto DVD-RW

I think most people would recommend putting your image on an external hard drive. Prices have come down considerably so you could store multiple images. Also, people recommend updating a system image periodically. It's a lot easier doing that on an external HD rather than using multiple disks. Too much of a chance that one disk may not burn properly and then you can't restore to the image.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/136299-cant-create-system-image.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I've system Cannot only. create image got a problem with the backup area I'm attempting to create a system image to restore my pc if it gets damaged The problem is I've had this pc for about years so I've never created a system image for it I've got a small external harddrive with gb left on it includes my laptop system Image in Cannot create system image only. a separate folder My pc st harddrive containing all the files needed for the system image has about tb of information stored on it which the system backup wants me to include in the system image which I've obviously not got the space I've tried to only include the system image in the backup process but it is listing it a quot backup size bytes quot with an error code x quot check backup disk space quot the system image on its own should be under gb I can't really fix the issue because the back and restore is not showing me the size of the system image What is wrong with it I'm running Windows

A:Cannot create system image only.

Windows backup will try to backup everything and your options with it are quite limited

There are other free backup programs out there that are more useful as you can unselect your user folders and stuff and just backup the important you need to which should fit in your 60GB space will find some links for you and post back shortly

This what i was thinking of
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
but looking now im not so sure you can do all that with the free version

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/237655-cannot-create-system-image-only.html