Windows Support Forum

Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later)

Q: Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later)

Hi All Recently I installed Windows Pro on my system in a SSD after a few weeks I noticed that the OS Windows later) Installed & 7 7 (With 8 Windows Dual Boot isn't compatible with certain programs I use so I wanted to install Windows Home Premium alongside it Since I don't really want to clean install after installing I installed onto a separate HDD within my case I've now got to the stage of the black background white Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) text boot menu which shows Windows and Windows but whenever I select Windows it just reboots the PC back to the Boot Splash screen Bios Post screen I've repaired the install with Windows discs and with Windows discs and neither seemed to help I've used EasyBCD installed on Windows to create the boot menu and that doesn't help anything either When Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) in Windows the Drive letters are such C is Windows W is Windows Short of clean installing I really don't know quite what to do Any suggestions Before it is asked that drives have been in that case since I built it and not moved from a seperate machine Thank you for your help

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later)

Welcome to EightForums.

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management from Windows 8?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums
For better help with problems, Can you post your specs.

Filling out System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14296-dual-boot-windows-7-8-windows-7-installed-later.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello All I have Windows Dual installation Windows Boot already 7 installed 2003 in Windows Server Laptop on Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop-432998.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello All Windows Laptop Boot on 2003 Server in installed installation Dual already Windows 7 I have Windows Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards nbsp

A:Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop

Couple of things you can do after installing 2003.

Boot from the W7 dvd select repair my computer and do a startup repair, most of the time this fixes the bootloader for W7, but then 2003 may not boot now. So then you need to install a BCD editor software in W7 to get both of them booting properly.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If startup repair does not get W7 booting again, there are some commands you can do from the W7 recovery environment to get the job done, (boot from the W7 cd, select repair my computer, then command prompt)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop.878387/
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk.
It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions.

Now I have an old laptop that has Windows 7 that holds programs and files that I left behind. I want those programs accessible in a Windows 7 environment. Therefore, I cloned my Windows 7 to a spare partition on my laptop's HDD. Right now, I have Windows 10 on primary SSD and cloned Windows 7 on a partition of secondary HDD.

However, the problem is that, while the disk cloning process went successfully, it's not bootable. So my question is: how do I make the disk with Windows 7 bootable?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57645-dual-boot-setup-pre-installed-windows-10-cloned-windows-7dows.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

I've read that i should install XP first. But I already have windows 7 installed and dont want to wipe that drive clean and reinstall.

Is this possilbe? To add a new sata hard drive and install xp 32bit to an existing PC running Win7 64 bit. With having a boot option at start up?

A:Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-with-windows-7-on-2-harddrives-windows-7-already-installed.902342/
Relevancy 82.99%

How do I do this? I tried following a tutorial in the tutorial section, but the option to delete volume in grayed out.

A:Remove Windows 10 from dual boot with Windows 7, Win10 installed first

It`s grayed out because it`s the Active partition and has the system files on it, if you were to delete it then Windows 7 would not boot anymore.

The Windows 7 partition must be made Active and the System files have to be written there before you can delete Windows 10.

The proper thing to do is backup your files, wipe out the entire drive and reinstall windows 7

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/401647-remove-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-win10-installed-first.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi I have looked all over for info on what will happen if I try to install windows on a new partition for a lenovo laptop that already has windows installed and this does not seem to be a common scenario nbsp TLDR I want to install windows side by side with Windows that is already installed but what I read HERE nbsp made me worried that installing windows on a windows box was not going to on a has windows boot windows dual 7 Installing machine installed that 10 already be the same as installing windows on a windows box I was going to do it from windows by mounting an iso but I could also just do it from a usb boot whatever is Installing windows 7 dual boot on a machine that already has windows 10 installed the easiest nbsp Warning You must install the older operating system first and then install the more recent operating system If you don't for example if you install Windows Vista on a computer already running Windows you can render your system inoperable This can happen because earlier versions of Windows don't recognize the startup files used in more recent versions of Windows and can overwrite them Can anyone advise as to whether or not this is a true danger or if there is a way to get around the problem This is a work machine which is why I want to do this over the weekend because I can't afford to be offline during the week testing this kind of thing nbsp Thanks for the help Luke Reasons for doing this nbsp I am a developer and my new laptop came with Windows I tried in the beginning to get some of the pre-installed bloatware removed with mixed luck tried several different reset scenarios none of them quite did it I manually uninstalled what I could but the machine has never run well despite having reasonably good specs gen i SSD gigs of ram it doesn't run as well as the year old dell of similar specs that it replaced after dying It comes out of sleep slowly and gets bogged down by visual studio and a lot of my other tools I have gone through a lot of tweak guides and disabled unused settings and spent a fair amount of time on nbsp Long story short I have a feeling a fresh install of windows will run fine on this hardware and I really don't want or need any of the features of Windows which I don't hate it just doesn't have any benefits for me especially on my developer machine and I want to install windows to see if it works better nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4e7dfe7-60c2-4e76-a362-efab9999a47b/installing-windows-7-dual-boot-on-a-machine-that-already-has-windows-10-installed?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 82.99%

I installed Windows 8 RP on my laptop on another partition but my Windows 7 in C:/ got lost. How do I install it again?

A:HELP! Installed Windows 8 (dual boot) but lost Windows 7 Basic

My dual boot works, Win7Ultimate64 on C and Win8Enterprise64 on D, I just hope you did a system image or back up before installation, not unless you are sure of what you are doing.. Before Win8 installs it will ask you the location where you will have it installed, if Win7 really got lost maybe you mixed up the installation.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8140-help-installed-windows-8-dual-boot-but-lost-windows-7-basic.html
Relevancy 82.13%

can I dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

Samsung notebook model: NP300E5C-A08SA

A:dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

yes you can, as long as it is on it's own partition or disk

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/64551-dual-boot-windows-vista-pre-installed-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have and dual boot 1st How can installed) Windows 7 I have (8.1 8.1 already How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed) seen steps to do this on this forum when Windows is on the machine first but this does not fit my situation as I will soon convert my Windows to Windows because I don't want it to be OEM any more so I can transfer my whole system over to a new pc in the future via image backup I also have a full version of Windows Once I upgrade OEM Windows to Windows how can I used the full version of Windows to create a dual boot Is upgrading Windows to Windows likely to cause any problems According to the test program the only issue is Skyrim won't work any more And I saw online a Windows driver for my printer PS I would want both operating systems to be on their own separate partition FURTHER INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST I tried upgrading Windows OEM to Windows full version but it did not work so I reverted to my image backup to make my pc same as it was before So instead I am wanting a dual boot with Windows and Thanks for reading my post

A:How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed)

Hello and welcome winuserd have a look at this Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista it might give you an idea on what to do.
It is from the 8 forum's site (a sister site to this one) - might be an idea to join up to that as well I did and I upgraded my main laptop and the Sandy Bridge from 7 to 8 then 8.1 with just an upgrade disk (the 8.1 was a free download).

Having said that I have both the 8's running in 7 mode (look) using Classic Shell as I prefer the desktop look but they are certainly faster than my other 7 machines.

PS I forgot to say I cloned the 7 to new drives before I upgraded so that I can flip the old drive back in if things go south.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/323869-how-can-i-have-windows-7-8-1-dual-boot-8-1-1st-installed.html
Relevancy 81.27%

My situation is usually the opposite of what I've found online. I upgraded to Win 10 and I'm quite comfortable with it, the problem is that a critical application for my job does not work with this platform. As I have space, my preferred option is to dual boot with Win 10 and Win 8.1 on the system. Please guide me on how to go ahead with this endeavor.This is quite an urgent requirement so I'd appreciate help.

A:Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

The M$ article:http://tinyurl.com/p79786jand another approach..http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how...If wishing to play or otherwise with win-10 I would be inclined to do on its own computer, or go the dual boot path.And... if dual booting... first ensure "all" data is safely duplicated/copied elsewhere - typically DVD, but an external hard drive (or NAS) too is nice(r) - just in-case...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/dual-boot-windows-10-and-win-81-with-win-10-installed/144.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi My installation was FAILED i have windows xp bit pre-installed in C drive I was trying to install DUAL BOOT xp with Windows in D drive NTFS using ISO image file of Windows bit ultimate present in my HHD i mounted the ISO file of windows with the help of Virtual drive The installation started normally but in the FINAL step Finalizing installation when system restarts to perform configuration etc but instead (pre 64 bit Windows 32 7 dual with boot Xp bit installed) of that i got message quot Failed to install windows and rolling back changes quot Important NOTE Using virtual dvd rom i mounted and install dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit Windows quot bit quot all right There was NO problem at all of dual booting windows xp bit and windows bit on the same hard disk on different drives so my question is Windows bit cant be dual boot with pre loaded Xp bit or tell me how to do it please i got gb ddr ram and i want to run bit dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit OS windows to utilize it maximum My system info Dell OptiPlex GX ghz gb ram ATI HD- mb Hard disk space on D Drive is GB

A:dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit

One of Brink's great tutorials to get your teeth into: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/175846-dual-boot-windows-7-64-bit-pre-installed-xp-32-bit.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I need to run a Carestream driver for RVG 6500, a dental imaging sensor, and install an intra-oral camera by Runyes. I am currently using Windows 8.1 that came pre-installed on my HP Ultrabook, and even though I like the operating system, it does not install the applications I mentioned above

I would really appreciate if someone could help me resolve this issue.

Things I have Already Tried in Vain
PC Settings>Updates and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Advanced Settings>Enable Unsigned DriversOracle Virtual Machine: The wireless network adapter for the RVG 6500 system cannot be configured in the virtual machine as it fails to provide the appropriate network driversDual boot with Windows Vista: Fails to read the hard drive for installation and does not install on portable drive

A:Dual Boot on pre-installed windows 8

Look at this thread. It's short and I think it'll give you the info you need.

Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/35179-dual-boot-pre-installed-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB C E Sony VPCEB C E updates Download updates for VPCEB C E It had Windows home premium x on it and installed xp W7 Windows first. with 7 dual boot Cannot but the hard drive went bust and I Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. lost everything I own a Windows professional x cd and license which I used as my laptop did not come with cds I would like to play some old games which do not run correctly in quot xp mode quot Anyway back on track a week ago I attempted to dual boot it using the excellent tutorial on this forum everything went fine it rebooted Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. and booted into xp x I have slipstreamed my SATA driver and net framework x everything was looking up I tried to install easybcd but it needed net framework my VAIO is capable of running xp because at the Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. above link it gives me the correct SATA driver and a utility to create a cd with the correct drivers for my software at this point I had no internet so I shut down the laptop and ran easybcd from windows I ran easybcd v and foolowed the guide once done I moved a few files across to the windows xp partition drivers mainly I had not spare cds so I used total mounter to mount a virtual RW cd drive I then rebooted the computer and selected Windows XP from the boot menu and it complained about ntoskrnl exe being invalid I sorted this out and since then it has suffered from a BSOD B I have wiped the data on it and installed xp but it would move the files onto the disk and and reboot into the BSOD To get rid of this I had to change the boot drive in W from the system reserved partition to my main C drive i then deleted the system reserved partition and now it will boot into win and complete the installation of xp but once the laptop reboots after installation to boot xp for the first time I am met with a BSOD again B I am literally stuck I have searched and searched for answers to this problem I have tried many things but they all end in that BSOD after installation I know I have the correct driver because it worked the very first time I have tried burning a second copy of the xp installation but there is no difference If I select safe mode is BSOD's at acpitabl dat my research has told me that it is due to an incorrect driver which cannot be the case because it has worked before I have a feeling it is something to do with easybcd Is there an easy way to undo what it has done Since I ran easybcd xp BSOD's I have read about putting sata into IDE compatibility mode in the bios I cannot do that my current bios R Y does on give my the option to As I say this has been happening for a week i have searched using google and read many pages but not found a solution It would be great if someone could say quot run cmd and type 'boot xp damn you quot quot but that said it wasn't a recognised command how apt

A:Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first.

Did you have a look at Option 2 here: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265202-cannot-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-w7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on my SATA 1TB HDD. I also have an IDE 250GB HDD onto which I've installed Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Using DualBootPro,I was able to get Windows 7 to boot correctly, however XP now gives me the error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I have Googled the heck out of this problem and tried a number of fixes that have not worked:

I tried replacing the hal.dll file with the one from the XP install disc.
I tried rebuilding the boot.ini file.
I tried adding Windows XP boot info to the windows 7 bootloader.

My bcdedit output in command prompt can be viewed on the Untitled-1.jpg attached.

I am fairly experienced in dealing with some of this stuff but I'm stumped. Please help!

A:Dual boot XP with windows 7 already installed

Hello, welcome!
It is unlikely you are really missing hal.dll. What is most likely happening is that XP is looking at the wrong place to boot from. You were on the right track rebuilding the boot.ini file, but perhaps you need to go farther. The fact that you are getting that message means nothing is wrong with the MBR.
What you need to do it manually edit your boot.ini file. Rembember that the drive/partition numbering starts at 0. I have attached a sample boot.ini file for you to look at. Your problem is probably the drive number.
boot.ini.txt

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46424-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a brand new Dell XPS 8700 with windows 7 pro installed. I am trying to install windows XP pro to be able to dual boot. I have already succesfuly set up new partition and am having trouble with the XP install. After a little while into the installation I get the following message "file acpi.sys is corrupted" and the installation ends and windows 7 reboots. I have done research online and haven't been able to find a specific solution to this error message. I have been given several links to dual booting instructions and none of them include this specific error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Relevancy 80.41%

Hii I have some problem regarding Windows and XP dual boot I have first installed Windows in C Drive after that I made more partitions in the remaining space After which I installed Windows XP Pro in F Drive which was successfully installed making Windows Boot Option Obselete while booting I mean to say that when ever I start my system it starts with Windows XP as default without giving any option for Windows After which Issue:Windows First) 7 XP and 7 boot(Win installed dual I made several try to make my Window to Boot but not succeed I have tried The Boot ini file changed manually of F Drive i e of XP as st Try boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect nd Try boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows Issue:Windows 7 and XP dual boot(Win 7 installed First) quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect With all these efforts I got the Screen with both options for Windows as well as for Windows XP while Boot but unable to Boot with Windows where as from here I can choose the Windows XP and start Please suggest Sumit Rastogi

A:Issue:Windows 7 and XP dual boot(Win 7 installed First)

Welcome to SF!

No problem at all. First, mark your Windows 7 partition as active.

Then, run a startup repair on Windows 7.

That will make the default boot entry 7's boot loader, and XP will be inaccessible. To fix that, add XP manually to 7's boot loader using EasyBCD 2.0. You will need to register with a free account in order to download.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/81270-issue-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-win-7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello I'm new here.

I had Windows 7 on my hard drive and I partitioned it using the partition tool built into windows. I installed Windows XP afterwards and now when I got to My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings (while I'm in Windows XP) under default operating system it only shows Windows XP.

After I partitioned the drive for 7GB I installed Windows XP on the new partitioned drive known as E drive, I still see C drive in my computer, and all the files and programs I had on Windows 7!!

How do I get back to Windows 7!!
Please please tell me I didn't installed over it!!

A:Dual-Boot: Windows only showing One OS Installed! HELP!

If you use the windows partition tool it deletes the hard drive... so I don't understand what happened here.

Assuming then that you used a partition tool that doesn't delete the hard drive then check your disc drive. Does it have a disc in it?

A third thing is this: you partitioned it but the drive you intended to install xp on was too small, so the installer by default selected the bigger one and you accidently installed xp over windows 7.

I really don't understand what you are saying. Those are three posibilities from what I get out of this post. please rewrite it so we can narrow down what happened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/72349-dual-boot-windows-only-showing-one-os-installed-help.html
Relevancy 79.55%

I am writing this on another computer I can assure you that I have 7 Windows installed Dual-boot, computer on a with with XP Problem never found myself in this kind of frustration when it comes to computers I have a computer which has Windows installed on it I have some old games and applications I've always wanted to use but couldn't because of compatibility issues I decided to follow a tutorial here on this forum to install Windows XP using dual boot Now my computer has two internal Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 drives An SSD of GB with Windows on it and a TB drive which I split into two Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 partitions in order to be able to install Windows XP I have also supposedly slipstreamed the Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 drivers into the installation All went fine in the setup until it had to restart It restarted and I was greeted by the Windows XP Pro loading screen I was proud of myself that I had managed to do it oh wait only seconds passed and this beast BSOD pops up Error code x B I tried to restart again and noticed I am stuck on Windows XP now something that has to do with the bootloader from what I've read I tried inserting the Windows OEM disk and performed a repair used the bootrec commands Kept saying no element found made the partition active using diskpart searched for COUNTLESS hours on the internet maybe something on some forum could be of some help nothing And finally MY WORST MISTAKE was deleting the partition I quot installed quot Windows XP on When I try to boot I'm now stuck with Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from the selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for addition information I tried using diskpart to change the drive letters back to the original ones nothing I think that this message I'm getting is coming from XP I need some REAL help with this How to get back to Windows Are my files safe Will using an adapter to connect the harddrive as a USB to another computer get me back my files I've done a backup but I forgot that some more up to date files are in my GB SSD drive I am in some real trouble and need some help ASAP I know how to format but I would like to keep that as a LAST resort Thanks

A:Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7

If you have separate hard drives then you should have unplugged the Win7 SSD to install XP on the other hard drive so this could not happen. Then boot your choice via the BIOS.

Now unplug all other drives and peripherals besides the Win7 SSD, confirm the 100mb System Reserved (if you have it) or the Win7 partition (if you don't) is Partition Marked Active,

Then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts.

If you want to install XP, unplug all other drives except the drive you want it installed upon. Using the XP CD, I would delete its partition, create and full format new to make sure you have the XP partition table.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/374282-problem-dual-boot-installed-xp-computer-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi

My pc info -

AMD Athlon(tm) 5150 APU with Radeon(tm) R3

Motherboard Gigabyte AM1M-S2H
Northbridge AMD K16 IMC rev. 00
Southbridge AMD Kabini FCH rev. 7.2
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 4 GBytes

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

DMI BIOS
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version F2
date 06/20/2014

Hi

I have windows 7 installed on c drive.

I would like to dual boot with winxp.

I slipstreamed with AHCI driver.

When the windows xp installation menu loads to partition choosing page.

It shows my whole HDD as one partition.

The partition is like - Partition1 Unknown.

WinXP is not able to read the hard drive partition.

How can I fix this ?

Thanks and Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/392657-dual-boot-windows-7-already-installed-win-xp-partition-unknown.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I am using Windows 8.1. I have an Acer Aspire V5-571P computer with Windows 8.1 pre-installed. I want to install my licensed copy of Windows 7 Professional on it as a dual boot to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I have seen that it can be done, but I cannot figure out how to correctly do it. I have already had to re-install Windows 8.1 once from a USB Recovery drive which was not fun. So can someone help me out with this? I'd really like to learn how to do it and get it done. I love windows 7 Pro but I can't figure out how to do it.

I have already turned off secure boot in bios. However, UEFI mode is still active vs legacy bios which is the other mode I have.

A:Dual Boot Acer Aspire V5 with Windows 8.1 Pre-installed

You will need both Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8/8.1 installed in Legacy mode.

On some Acer, Gateway, P. Bell, Windows 7 x64 will not install in UEFI mode.

Windows 8 Desktops - How to Disable Secure Boot - YouTube

Enabling the boot device menu

Originally Posted by Acer

On most Acer systems, you can use the F12 key on boot to select the drive or network from which loading the operating system. In case the F12 option does not work, you may need to enable this function.

SOLUTION

Enabling the F12 function:

1.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
2.Press the right arrow key to select Main.
3.Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
4.Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
5.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot

Originally Posted by Acer

This article only applies to: Windows 8 Desktops

Bootable media from previous versions of Windows may not be recognized in Windows 8. You can change the Secure Boot setting and it should recognize the bootable device.

Use the following steps to change Secure Boot:

1.Completely shut down your computer.
2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press Delete to enter the BIOS.
3.Use the right arrow key to select Authentication.
4.With Secure Boot highlighted, press Enter and then the down arrow to select Disabled.
5.Use the right arrow key to select Boot Options.
6.With Launch CSM highlighted, press Enter and use the down arrow to select Always.
7.Press Enter.
8.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44518-dual-boot-acer-aspire-v5-windows-8-1-pre-installed.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Dear Sirs, I have tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 12.04.5 on my Windows 10 (pre-installed) HP Envy 15AH. Even if I try to run the LiveCD, the LiveCD's hang, and the installed Ubuntu crashes or hangs. I have also tried a LIveCD of Fedora, and the same things happen. I have checked that Ubuntu should be suitable for UEFI installation, and I cannot see why even the LiveCDs hang. How can I get an good installation of (ideally 12.04.5) to work on the laptop? I contacted the company I bought the laptop from - having paid extra for support - and they said I should ask you! Many thanks for your help. Yours faithfully, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-install-dual-boot-Windows-10-pre-installed-and-Ubuntu/td-p/5614511
Relevancy 77.83%

This is my dual boot windows XP pro with Vista installed first After I done everything and step into installing drivers for sound graphic network etc on installed keep on few after Windows newly disconnect minutes XP Boot) (Dual drivers. Windows XP that has just installed So I've search on Google for compatible drivers it says Realtek E Driver Windows XP (Dual Boot) keep disconnect after few minutes on newly installed drivers. is compatible for XP for my motherboard After the installation the driver name I saw was totally different it turns into Realtek PCIe FE Famiyl Controller With this newly installed driver I always get disconnect after few minutes And I need to restart the computer modem in order to get into internet and repeat the same thing it keeps disconnect after few minutes later But before the disconnections occur the internet is really really times slow than my normal And I able to connection to skype msn online games existing country only without disconnect till I close it Then I re-open the programs back it couldn't connect And another thing is while I playing those games I alt-tab and try to surf internet browser it says not found and I still able to go through internet and play games Am I using the wrong driver I'm following the driver that what supports my motherboard Motherboard model GCT-HM Compatible Drivers Realtek e Computer Retailer HP OS Installed on Motherboard Vista OS Installed on Motherboard Dual Boot Vista Original XP nd OS Reference OS XP Isn't I'm using the wrong driver or my computer has gone wrong I don't think so because it's just installed XP I've been tried drivers The first one I was trying Realtek RTL x and it also the same problem occur on my dual boot XP So I've uninstalled the previous one and install this Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller but still the same Nothing get fix Hope could solve my problems Thanks a million

A:Windows XP (Dual Boot) keep disconnect after few minutes on newly installed drivers.

What is the exact model number of the HP system?

Look on bottom label if laptop; label on back if desktop.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-xp-dual-boot-keep-disconnect-after-few-minutes-on-newly-installed-drivers-539947.html
Relevancy 77.83%

i have win 7 and it is working fine with lots of programs, paid and free and many without discs etc.
i expect to set up a dual boot ... win 7 and win 10
i have never created a dual boot before and i'm not a "techy"

#1 can the win 10 find what ever it needs and run the "installed" win 7 programs?

#2 should i just plod along with the win 10 and gradually download and install programs on win 10 while using win 7 for most of my work until i get most of the programs running in win 10?
i can't afford to buy a bunch more programs and i'm getting too old to just jump in and find and download/install a bunch of programs all at once

#3 how will auto updates of windows and other programs and drivers work with the dual boot setup?

thanks for your comments/advice

A:Solved: win 10 dual boot can win 10 find and run programs installed by win 7 "Windows

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-10-dual-boot-can-win-10-find-and-run-programs-installed-by-win-7-windows.1149945/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello all new here my pc config is intel Dual XP dual boot no boot then but tried Solved: installed boot options Vista quad gb ram gb hd OS is XP Pro with SP Okay I heard people speek highly of Vista and no so highly so I decided to give it a shot and make my own decision XP was installed a few weeks ago and is on disk gig partition created another for E Vista Ultimate and have unallocated for now My other drive is just for games At first I used Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options the remaining for Vista the first time Everything loaded fine was online with Vista was updating drivers and then I rebooted Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options to finish the install for some drivers and the boot options never came up it booted right to XP I looked at the partitions and it shows Vista there so I looked in XP boot ini and it shows boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn I checked around and people said to add Vista to it so I did and added this boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate quot fastdetect It gave the options to now choose one but when I choose Vista the screen goes blank no cursor or anything display is x someone had suggested that already If I choose XP it boots fine I then Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options decided to format the the partition with Vista cd and made a Gb and I now have a Gb unallocated for now as described above did the install again and samething loads fine everything looks pretty but as soon as it is rebooted it goes right to XP no boot choices If you check boot ini only shows one OS Vista is nowhere to be seen and once again if you add it to the boot ini going to My Computer props advanced and editing that way it does the samething when chosen boots to a blank screen I decided to go the msconfig route and checked the boot paths and it showed the one for Vista as invalid which is the path I have above I am clueless now and I don t wat to start from scratch meaing wipe everything clean and try doing Vista first and then XP I searched around the web and most of the issues I found was that XP would not boot after a dual boot attempt Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks and have a good one all nbsp

A:Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-installed-then-tried-vista-but-no-boot-dual-boot-options.707518/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice, my girlfriend has recently got a new laptop and unfortunately she doesn't like it, despite me loving Windows 8.1.
She would like to try Windows 8 but is going back to Uni soon so would like Windows 7 as a back-up dual booted.

I've shrunk the partition and created a simple partition for Windows 7 but really unsure about Installing Windows 7 on a Windows 8 Laptop, it's an ASUS X550CA-XX417H. I've checked power shell with SecureBootUEFI and result is True.

What would be the best way to dual boot?

Cheers,
Ben

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 with pre-installed Windows 8 Laptop

As this a OEM manufacturer's PC with Pre-installed Windows 8?

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

You will need to buy Windows 7.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/37995-dual-booting-windows-7-pre-installed-windows-8-laptop.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi guys.

Thanks for looking at this thread.

I have a few questions about dual booting windows 7 and windows 8 preinstalled (UEFI) on my Dell laptop.

1. Can I install a non-UEFI version of Windows 7 on my laptop, if so how?
2. Will installing a non-UEFI version of Windows 7 on my laptop break it?
3. Can I use EasyBCD for UEFI?
4. How do I create a UEFI windows 7?

Thank you

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

Really no point in dual booting since they are essentially the same OS like 7 to Vista.

Choose one and stick with it, Windows 7 will be supported till 2017 (mainstream) and 2020 (security).

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17213-dual-booting-windows-7-windows-8-pre-installed-uefi.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello, today I am trying to dual boot my Pre-Installed Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows 7. I have chosen "Shrink Volume" in Disk Management and I have created a new partition for Windows 7. Whenever I try to install windows 7 on the selected partition, I get the error that the hard disk is GPT type. I cannot convert it to MBR.
I open DISKPART
I write LISTDISK
I only see "Disk 0"
I write "select Disk 0"
Then I write "List Partition"
My hard drive has 7 partitions. My windows 7 partition is 5
I write "select partition 5"
Now, my question is, if I write clean, will it clean that specific partition or my entire hard drive?

A:Dual Booting Pre-installed Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Originally Posted by armenh7

Whenever I try to install windows 7 on the selected partition, I get the error that the hard disk is GPT type.

Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).

Quote from this post: UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

Tip
Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to MBR disk in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on a GPT disk.

- Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then delete all partitions on the disk.

Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to GPT disk in UEFI Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on an MBR disk.

- Delete all partitions on the disk, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69236-dual-booting-pre-installed-windows-8-1-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I installed Windows 7 to a machine that had XP already installed. When I start the computer it just boots into XP. There is no boot manager giving me an option to boot to Win 7. I accessed repair from the Win 7 disk on start up and ran bootrec /fixboot and it said everything was cool but same issue. When I was installing Win 7 it ran thru the whole set up routine and restarted several times into Win 7. I shut it down when it said it was finished but the next morning it started up in XP. Would fixmbr help if fixboot didn't? Any suggestions?

A:installed win 7 dual boot with XP already installed, can't access Win

Confirm that the 100mb System Reserved (if you have it) or Win7 partition (if you don't) is Partition Marked Active,

then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts and is marked System Active in Disk Mgmt.

Then install EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required) to Win7 to add XP by name, allow it to autocomplete drive letter, Save and reboot to Dual Boot menu.

If any further problems, post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/365521-installed-win-7-dual-boot-xp-already-installed-cant-access-win.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

A:Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Originally Posted by Carsomyr

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

This is a good MSDN topic:
Adding Boot Entries (Windows Drivers)

Read it and ask any questions, lots of members know this stuff and can help guide you if you need it.

Make sure you're reading the information on BCDedit - that's the tool for Win7 and higher.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/8155-reinstalling-windows-7-7-10-dual-boot-breaks-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello Everyone ,

i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter :
i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose linux ,

as far as i know , i should edit the msconfig file which i tried and couldn`t make it dual boot ,

Please check the attachment file ,

Thank you

A:dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot

Read this: Fixed Windows - But Now Grub is Gone?

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88580-dual-boot-reinstall-windows-lost-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all,

I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart.

Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen where you are suppose to select to boot up Windows 7 or Windows 8.

As I had deleted Windows 8 Already, it should not prompt me to select to boot Windows 8 but rather directly boot into Windows 7.

How should I proceed from here ? I am currently installing Fedora Dual Boot on my laptop so hopefully I am able to do some salvaging from there....

Thanks in advance !

Warmest Regards,
Zeke

A:Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot

Take a windows 7 installation DVD/USB thumbdrive, boot from it, select "I want to repair my computer" and then do a "startup repair".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294576-windows-7-crashes-boot-manager-after-deleting-windows-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am trying to dual boot with 2 different hard drives and 2 different systems. One is Vista x64 and the other is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. After installing the hard drive with Windows 7 which came from a different computer, I used EasyBCD to configure the boot order. Windows vista still works, but when I want to switch to Windows 7 I get:

FILE \windows\system32\winload.exe
info: windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

After some search I have found this old thread from this same forum. Here is the link: dual boot windows 7 and vista boot error winload.exe

The Op seems to have similar problem as me. I just don't get all the follow up instructions in the thread dealing with bootrec since I haven't encountered it before (I think...). Any thoughts?

A:Dual boot windows vista and windows 7 boot error winload.exe

The best way to Dual Boot OS's on separate HD's is to set the preferred OS HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, then when needed trigger the other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

If this is not desireable, then set Win7 HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, install easyBCD to Win7 to add XP.

Before doing this delete any EasyBCD listing for the other HD you've already made in Edit OS Menu tab.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355211-dual-boot-windows-vista-windows-7-boot-error-winload-exe.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys i installed windows and windows server in different partition I first installed windows and then installed windows server I dont know if that makes much of a difference However -----after installing - Dual boot Windows Server and pro loader 2008 7 boot Windows the server i could not see the windows in my boot loader so i had to turn the windows partition to active- to boot from windows seven -----It turned my server partition to logical and could not see the server os in boot loader So how would i add both of them in the boot loader so that i can select one of the two after i boot I Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader had to download acronis disk director to turn the logical drive to primary again So the question is how is it possible Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to get both the boot OS in the boot loadter I don't want to do a dual boot through vhd just in case someone suggests me that screen shot of my disk Update i changed the windows server partion back Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to active and tried to boot now it says bootmgr is missing

A:Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader

I don't know how marking Win7 Active to repair it so it would start would convert the Server partition to Logical. I've never heard of such a thing.

To add the missing OS, install EasyBCD to add it on the Add New Entry tab.

EasyBCD (free Download at bottom of page - no name or email required)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244854-dual-boot-windows-7-pro-windows-server-2008-boot-loader.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all I am having some problems I am hoping I may be able to get some advice on I have a new laptop that came with Windows Vista Model is Toshiba Satellite A -S I have been trying to load Windows Repair boot Vista boot dual and and Windows XP MBR loader it with Windows XP because Windows Vista kind of sucks for my computing needs I am pretty sure a format and clean install will wreck my warranty hence the dual boot So far I have been able to partition and install XP SP- to a partition I ve booted into XP fine but my Vista partition is not available I think that the partition table or MBR has been corrupted So to repair Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot this what I did was boot up from the Vista recovery DVD and run the startup repair option to reload the bootloader for Vista and thus enable dual booting When I rebooted I got a black screen saying Invalid Partition Table or something to this effect I tried repairing the MBR and so on and so forth from the console on the recovery DVD but this proved to be Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot pretty much totally fruitless So I went through and did an install of Windows XP once again to my other drive partition I had created So I am basically where I started I need to know if somebody knows how I can repair the drives MBR or partition table to make it readable under Windows to at least pull my important files off of or to boot into Any ideas would be enormously appreciated Attached I will include a visual of what s up with my hard drive situation Thank you Jacob Also I will cross-reference this to a couple of forums I have posted to with no results as they may have some information I have forgotten to include http www geekstogo com forum Hard-Disc-MBR-Problems-New-Vista-Downgrade-t html These are some instructions I came across which more or less explain how I went about doing the install http www howtogeek com forum topic howto-windows-xp-install-on-a-vista-computer nbsp

A:Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-boot-loader-and-mbr-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-dual-boot.666827/
Relevancy 65.79%

Was trying to delete Linux from my dual boot and I accidentally the whole Windows 8 boot loader (again). But this time is worse.

I have Linux installed to get the boot loader back. Windows appears in the GRUB boot menu, but it is corrupted and will not boot. When I try to boot from it, it now goes to a "preparing automatic repairs" screen followed by an "attempting repairs" screen. I'm given an "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC." Then it takes me to the Windows 8 recovery options.

Before it got corrupted, I tried doing a system restore from the recovery options but had to force a shutdown because the restore got stuck and would not end even after 10 hours had passed. That was probably a bad idea.

What should I try next?

A:Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

if you have a windows 8 disk, you can try a startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/borked-my-windows-linux-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-anymore-701798.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have found guide for dual booting Windows 7 with XP or Vista already installed, but not the other way around.

I allocated some free space from my C drive for the XP install. I installed XP, but when I restarted my computer, I got this error, "A disk read error has occurred; press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart dual boot".

What am I doing wrong?

A:Dual booting XP with Windows 7 already installed

Alright, I'm going to try using EasyBCD. Hopefully that will work.

But please give me your input still.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/19010-dual-booting-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi everyone. I have Windows 7 64-bit and I want to install Windows XP 32-bit for extra cross-compatibility. I know 32 bit apps can work in 64 bit but I also need my printers and other devices working.

I need help with a guide to dual-boot operating systems but I can't find a guide that includes Windows 7 as the first operating system. Could anybody help me by pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-DarkPacMan77-

A:Dual Booting with Windows 7 Installed First?

Here is tutorial:Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
See option two

Edit: Method two...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/23338-dual-booting-windows-7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 64.93%

hello i have some questions regarding dual booting windows home premium x with linux fedora on dual independantly dedicated drives i am a college student with moderate computer windows knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class i have no prior experience with linux and have minimal knowledge of operation i am currently running windows and would like to keep it as my primary os i do not wish to share media files across with and dual 7 drives linux windows boot fedora dual drives or os's windows does that just fine as is and i dont want to get into a third drive my windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives current drive is a tb wd black caviar hdd it is also currently rds full and the desktop is windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives about months old so i would rather not partition the drive for a dual boot i would think that there are some other advantages for the os's operating independantly off their own drives other than if one hdd dies i should windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives still have the other with its os still ok i have read some topics about RAID configs with dual boot setups with dual drives like this but am not very familiar with RAID is there a RAID config that would be beneficial in this situation i currently do not have a RAID card my tower internals are not very accessible and i dont like the idea of disconnecting drives depending on which os i want to operate so what would be the best way of going about this this is a near future project so i am looking for someone with some experience in this area hopefully thanks - garrett

A:windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives

Hi garrettchatt and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Are you trying to ask something? There's nothing there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/142453-windows-7-linux-fedora-dual-boot-dual-drives.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have installed dual boot OS in my desktop.
WD 1TB (500GB windows XP and 500GB windows 7) ALL 32 BIT.
I installed the windows XP first.
The Windows XP had installed on first partition and 2nd partition is Windows 7.

The XP boot in to windows without any problem.
But the windows 7 right after showing the logo, then no display.

Here are PC boot loader

earlier windows operation=XP
Windows 7

Did I did something wrong?

A:Windows XP and Windows 7 dual boot. Problem with Windows 7 start up

Did Windows 7 finish installing?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/185521-windows-xp-windows-7-dual-boot-problem-windows-7-start-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi,

I had Windows 7 installed on my PC and I wanted to install Windows 8 in dual boot, so I bought a SSD and installed it and then proceeded to install Windows 8 on the SSD.

Now when I restart the computer, it just boots into Windows 8 without loading the boot manager where I can choose the OS.

Instead, the only way to get into Windows 7 is for me to press F12 and choose the other hard drive. I have attached a screenshot of Disk Management. Windows 7 is installed on Disk 0 (C) and Windows 8 is installed on Disk 1 (G).

How can I get the Windows 8 boot manager to show up?

Thanks!

A:Windows 7/Windows 8 Dual Boot - No Boot Manager Loads

Hello akishore, welcome to Eight Forums!

To most people you have the desired boot set-up, a BIOS managed dual-boot but if you want a Windows managed dual-boot the easiest way to achieve that is to use the Windows 7 installation DVD to do 3 separate startup repairs, have a look at the tutorial at the link below for the procedure and be sure to post back with updates.

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8805-windows-7-windows-8-dual-boot-no-boot-manager-loads.html
Relevancy 63.64%

okay, i got a computer as a gift that had windows 98 on it, so i wanted to put windows xp (home edition) on it. i installed it correctly and everything works fine, but when i turn it on it asks me to choose the operating system and i'm being given the same choice twice:

select your operating system:
1. Windows XP Home edition
2. Windows XP Home editionClick to expand...

how do i uninstall the other windows XP or disable this screen so i go through start up normally?

thanx in advance for any help

A:Windows XP appears to be installed twice (now I have a dual booting screen)

The hidden file C:\boot.ini contains the settings for bootup. You can remove the second entry from this, but BE CAREFUL and don't remove the one that works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-appears-to-be-installed-twice-now-i-have-a-dual-booting-screen.19289/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hey Bleeping Computer How is everyone tonight So I am working on Installed 7 WONT off BOOT LAPTOP disk windows 8 Windows a Samsung Laptop MOdel Number Series NP E C - A AUS My friend in my Math class Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk just bought it literally days ago from Best Buy and they Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk told her they would install Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk any software she needed when she paid for it but when she picked it up they wouldnt without charging her extra so they flat out lied to make a sale Anyways thats besides the point so it has Windows installed and she absolutely hates Windows So I told her I could install Windows for her and all the software she needs thats easy But here is my problem PROBLEM The Samsung Laptop WILL NOT boot from disk it will not boot from any disk I have tried Windows obviously but I have also tried Puppy Linux Parted Magic Mem Soft various other bootable disks that Bleeping Computer has given me over the years I have gone into BIOS and changed the boot priority to CD drive I have messed around with the BIOS trying to get it to boot from a disk and it wont Windows boots up so damn quick I can enter Bios by hitting F at the Samsung splash screen and I can enter BIOS but I can not find a boot menu like hitting F F F F other ones I have used in the past on other machines none of them seem to work I can not get it to boot from disk It looks like I can install windows from the desktop but if it will not boot from Disk then when it restarts during install I am worried about She Hates Windows She does not want Windows at all She doesnt want to take the Laptop back to best buy because she likes the actual laptop she just wants Windows installed I am new to Windows and this is the first time I have used it as well But the laptop Samsung will not boot any disk Do you guys have any advice for me on how to get it to boot from Disk I feel the problem is deeper than just Windows and even if I could install Windows from the Desktop in the future what if for some reason she needed it to Boot from Disk The Laptop is brand new And they didnt have the one she wanted with Windows she said they really talked her into getting windows and SHE HATES IT I dont blame her From what I have seen I am not impressed with Windows either Have you guys heard of not being able to boot from disk with Windows Or is it a Samsung problem My goal is to install windows for her like she asked But its hard without being able to boot from a CD using the CD drive I hope this is in the right forum if it is not I am trully sorry and I will move to the correct forum Thank You Windows is currently installed but we want Windows

A:Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk

Hey just to let you guys know the BIOS is Phoenix SecureCore Tiano. There is a setting called Secure Boot (not sure what it does exactly) but I have not changed it, the only thing I have changed is the Boot Priority menu. If this Laptop wont boot from disk I am going to tell her to return it, and then in the future boycott samsung or any laptop maker that does not give you the option to boot from disk, This does make me angry with the future of computers I am hoping for an easy fix. My poor friend, she is totally computer illiterate(does not know how to install software at all) so I am trying to be a good friend and help her out!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473915/windows-8-installed-laptop-wont-boot-off-windows-7-disk/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi everyone I m hoping someone can Update Vista! installed, into Windows boot can't now Windows I Automatic help me out Automatic Windows Update installed, now I can't boot into Windows Vista! with this situation I ve scoured the internet for answers but with no luck so far On I replaced some faulty memory in a laptop that I had not used for ages Due to the fact that I had not used the laptop in a while there were many windows updates that needed installing over Due to the system restarting rebooting to install these updates many system restore points were created Unfortunately after installing one automatic update I restarted but was then unable to boot back into Windows Due to installing uninstalling soooo many updates software a fully-functioning restore point that would have been available was no longer available Since then I have tried running startup repair numerous times with no success startup repair recognises that there is any error but does not what it is and also the repair your computer option with a Windows Vista recovery disk neither have repaired the problem Unfortunately I am unable to login to Windows in any shape or form safe mode won t boot either so I am unable to remove this update With Windows XP I know it is possible to view installed updates and uninstall updates via the command prompt in the recovery environment is this possible with Vista I can t seem to find exactly where the update files are stored in the Windows directory somewhere in C windows softwaredistribution and if yes can you view the dates the updates were installed and what command-line would you need to use to uninstall them Sorry for the long-windedness of the post I hope someone can help as I really want to avoid a re-installation of Windows seeing that it was a Windows Update that caused this problem in the first place Thanks Chris nbsp

A:Automatic Windows Update installed, now I can't boot into Windows Vista!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automatic-windows-update-installed-now-i-cant-boot-into-windows-vista.1044172/
Relevancy 62.78%

I Windows Dual Asus on boot S550CM Windows Sonic 8 7 & Master have a brand new no data Asus Sonic Master S CM laptop with a TB Dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 8 on Asus Sonic Master S550CM hd and GB Ram It came preinstalled with Windows The laptop is going to be used by a senior and Windows is just too complicated for her Originally I was planning on getting rid of Windows and installing Windows but I'm starting to think a dual boot might be the better idea I've spent several hours looking for info on drivers and whether it's feasible to dual boot but I'm not getting very satisfactory information Asus com doesn't seem to offer any information either So I'm posting my first thread to a forum - ever Dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 8 on Asus Sonic Master S550CM - if I've posted this in the wrong area my apologies The hd has two partitions OS C GB and Data D GB I'm thinking that I should shrink C to GB and rename it E and install Windows on E leaving Data D to be accessed from both Windows and Windows I have just enough tech skill to get myself in trouble on these complicated projects I have dual booted computers before Windows Windows Windows XP but not a laptop My questions are Has anyone successfully done this Are there other quot things quot I should do ie I read that I should turn off fast start-up I also read I should disable secure boot in the bios but the bios won't let me select secure boot to disable it Which Windows should I install the current O S is Windows -bit Will the touch screen still function in Windows Can I make Windows the quot default quot boot so she won't have to actually select it When If the time comes will I be able to easily take Windows off What am I missing or not thinking of Other suggestions Thanks for your help

A:Dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 8 on Asus Sonic Master S550CM

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/304072-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-8-asus-sonic-master-s550cm.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Just today I decided to download the Windows consumer preview and setup my PC to dual boot with it I am running Windows home premium bit and the bit windows on my other partition After setting up a separate partition on my harddrive and loading windows to this partition I was all up and running I had no problems setting up or running windows the problem came when I booted back to windows for the first time When I booted into windows I was getting the quot unable to identify network quot error and no network connectivity First thing I tried was simply disable enabling my network adapter thinking it was just some hiccup No luck there Next I pulled the power from my router and let it completely reboot Still no luck I then shut down my pc and booted back into windows 8 with windows boot after setting dual network up 7 Solved: Windows issue and sure enough I am able to get internet connectivity when I am running windows This got me to thinking that when I loaded windows there may be some new drivers installed for my network card that are somehow causing issues when I load into windows again Not sure how this is possible I was under the understanding that when I loaded Win to the separate partition that it would keep all it s drivers and settings there and not effect anything when I was loaded back on windows This logic could be completely wrong I don t know So I rebooted and loaded back into windows went Solved: Windows 7 network issue after setting up dual boot with windows 8 into device manager and uninstalled both network adapters and drivers and rebooted into windows again so it could re-discover and setup the network cards with default windows drivers This did not work either and I am still getting the same error I am curious if anyone has any suggestions or any idea what may be going on to cause this If not I will likely remove the partition and windows from my machine since it seems pretty clear that it has to be the culprit for my issues Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Windows 7 network issue after setting up dual boot with windows 8

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-network-issue-after-setting-up-dual-boot-with-windows-8.1043641/
Relevancy 62.78%

I lost access to my windows 7 drive (Dual-boot windows 7 & Ubuntu). every time I try to run Windows 7 I get the message: Bootmgr is compressed, Press CTRL_ALT-DEL to restart. I could run Bootrec /fixmbr or diskpart or attrib to rebuild my mbr table through DOS command window using my windows 7 recovery CD. The problem I cannot access drive C: where my windows 7 are. I get the error message: Cannot open volume for direct access or system cannot find the drive path or specified. I still can access all my windows folders and files through home folder in Ubuntu. I don't want to reformat and reinstall windows. Is there is a way to run the DOS commands within Ubuntu or any other advice to how to fix this issue.

A:Lost access to Windows 7 Drive (Dual-Boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu)

Hi,

Please see whether the steps outline in this tutorial will be of help:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/249212-lost-access-windows-7-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Greetings I have installed Ubuntu Ubuntu animation Windows dual-boot, 7 7 Windows problems logo LTS -bit alongside Windows Professional -bit OS in dual-boot configuration with GRUB beta Both OSs are up to date however occasionally I do not get the animated Windows logo in the Windows boot-up and a distorted screen is displayed instead until I am presented with the Ubuntu Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows 7 logo animation problems login screen This Ubuntu Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows 7 logo animation problems issue was non-existent before my Ubuntu installation and I am not able to fix it I should also note that the Windows boots up but this artefact is really annoying I already posted this on askubuntu com but received no reply for screen-shots you may wish to check it After Ubuntu installation Windows experiences boot-up issues - Ask Ubuntu So far I have tried a command on the Windows console but it did not resolve the issue By the way I experience this problem occasionally and in these cases mostly the laptop is running on battery power My laptop brand and model is Dell Latitude E respectively Any help and or suggestion is greatly appreciated

A:Ubuntu Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows 7 logo animation problems

The link below might be a good starting point,

linux - Problem setting command-line console resolution. vbeinfo in grub2 does not report all resolutions - Super User

Good luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/377751-ubuntu-windows-7-dual-boot-windows-7-logo-animation-problems.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,

I have a dual boot machine with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. I have Windows Defender version 1.1.1600.1 for WinServer and McAffee for Windows 7. Recently I have been having some trouble with McAffee. Will Windows Defender provide protection for both OS's or do I need to continue to troubleshoot the McAffee issue?

Thanks,
Scott

A:AntiVirus for Dual Boot System -Windows 7/Windows Server 2008

Windows Defender will only run when the OS it is installed on is running.
So, for you it will only run when you boot up Windows Server.

Windows Defender is not an Anti Virus program.
It is Anti Malware and intended to run alongside a real-time Anti Virus program.

You might consider un-installing McAffe and using a different A/V such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, etc...

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/255983-antivirus-dual-boot-system-windows-7-windows-server-2008-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Now that we have the ability to clean install onto a pre-existing machine and then activate using the pre-existing key Created a GB partition for Booted from USB installer created today so latest version Installed into said GB partition install) Windows 10 Laptop. to a Adding dual-boot 7 Windows (clean with no reported errors Installer Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. first reboot re-loaded the installer so removed and rebooted You'd think they would do something about this but I'm not holding Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. my breath Also few walkthrus mention this fact Boots Windows original bootloader with no sign of the install so unable to continue on with the setup Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. Booted into and I can see the installed partition with no drive letter obviously Assigned a drive letter and explorer shows Win files are present and what looks like a bootloader According to various sources a Win install will lay down its own bootloader and provide a dual-boot to the pre-existing o s in this case Win As a quick and dirty I used EasyBCD to create a third entry to inside the bootloader but it throws an error when trying to use that option something about not being able to verify the o s It should be noted this is an MBR arrangement a Dell machine with a separate GB OEM recovery partition containing the Win bootloader Any quot intelligent quot ideas much appreciated

A:Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

From an elevated ("Run as administrator") command prompt in Windows 7 try:

bcdboot e:\Windows

The path in red will be the path to the Windows 10 "Windows" folder.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/42824-adding-windows-10-dual-boot-clean-install-windows-7-laptop.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi

If everything goes well I'll be building my first gaming desktop later this year.
One of the scenarios I'm considering is having 4 hard disks and two OSs,
a1, a2, b1, b2
the a disks would be 128 SSDs each with its copy of Win7,
the b disks would be 1 TB HDDs with data.

I want a1 (when I boot with it) to recognize only b1, the same with a2/b2.
In sum, I want one of the data disks not to be seen/accessed by the "other" OS.

Is this possible, and if yes how?

Regards

A:Windows 7 dual boot dual disks

Just remove the unwanted drive letters in Disk Mgmt and it will not be seen in Explorer.
During install of each OS, unplug all other drives. Set preferred OS to boot first in BIOS setup, then trigger the other OS SSD using BIOS Boot Menu shortcut key.
If this isn't to your liking install EasyBCD to add the secondary OS to a Windows Boot Menu. This way the drives will still be independently bootable to come and go as you please. They would not if you leave the other one plugged in during install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/334748-windows-7-dual-boot-dual-disks.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys Is it feasible to create a VHD install Windows and then use RAMDisk to Install 7 Windows in use dual-boot and question with Windows VHD etc RAMDisk 8.1 a in add more speed Install Windows 8.1 in VHD in a dual-boot with Windows 7 and use RAMDisk question etc to the VHD usage This idea just got into my head the other day as I planned to install Windows in a partition on my hard drive Dual boot arrangement with Windows x partitions Got some issues with the install as I found out that Windows does not boot as fast as my old Windows When I compare the laptop with pre-installed Windows the boot speed difference is glaring though the laptop is not in a dual-boot arrangement I understand that Windows does not really shutdown but hibernates itself for more faster boot the next time yo boot it up correct Now I find that in a dual-boot it aint so Windows boot s very slow in this desktop same desktop where I test the Bitdefender AV and IS trials Now to get back to my question is it feasible I mean to Create a VHD in Windows gt Install Windows gt and then use RAMDisk to speed things up What may be the benefits of using an VHD dualboot arrangement with Windows versus the live partition install usage I have GiliSoftRAMDisk lying around here and have no experience using it Now earlier I was searching the web and checking out ways to install and use Windows on this desktop but also seeking ways to make it worth the while by improving on what I have experienced when I installed on a live partition I read that the use of RAMDisks helps in speeding up some power hungry programs like Photoshop etc correct How about speeding up an OS performance Anybody done this kind of thing I Google-d some earlier and I see that some people are doing it with Windows Tech Preview Now another question that I d like to ask is Assuming I have had success installing in a VHD arrangement for dual-boot with Windows can I install programs like AutoCAD and some ram hogging programs like Adobe Photoshop CS or some video editing software like Cyberlink Power Director Ultra on it Is that feasible also or well crazy Well that is the reason why I d like to use GilisoftRAMDisk with it quot if quot performance will be affected Well I have never used a VHD before All fo my trials were done on live partitions from image backups and when I am done I just recover the prior image I did and move-on The purpose is also to make the late transition to Windows from Windows and then if things will go okay move on early to Windows I will grab the free upgrade I just do not want to jump to Windows and later suffer the consequences of not being able to use my programs such as AutoCAD etc efficiently ---that will kill me and may downgrade back to Windows and forget it Well I am good with Windows with all the programs I am using now but I can t stay forever with it now that Windows is out there So help me guys gurus I may post a different thread on installing on a different scenario live partition dual-boot arrangement and not in VHD with GilisoftRAMDisk usage but this will come first Lastly what about imaging that arrangement -- Create a VHD in Windows gt Install Windows gt and then use RAMDisk to speed things up I use Acronis True Image with Plus Pack now and would like to ask if there are any issues that I should take into consideration Will imaging be fine Will it image the whole disk including the VHD arrangement If I recover that image backup will I be able to use the arrangement again How about the RAMDisk Will I set it up again when I recover from an image backup I read somewhere that when you reboot all the contents of the RAMDisk are erased if not saved si that correct Sorry for the gazillion questions there but I am eager to know what can be done or what will I be experiencing as I plan and if feasible go on and try doing it So do please add some comments and share some insights here Thanks nbsp

A:Install Windows 8.1 in VHD in a dual-boot with Windows 7 and use RAMDisk question etc

Hmmm...

Anyway just to update here. I was not able to pursue this endeavor and went straight to installing Windows 8.1 Pro on a separate hard drive. I did not have any of the boot issues as that I have mentioned before when I installed with an existing Windows partition. I booted fine and acceptable a minute or less. Did observed some long boots but that was when after installing programs that required a reboot. So the desktop s now with Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 sp1. Still have not installed AutoCAD 2013 and Minitab 15 on it as I am awaiting the response of our IT as to the licensing etc so I have not used those programs yet in Windows 8.1 Pro.

Also discovered that there are issues with Acronis True Image 2012 in Windows 8.1 during the install. So did not install that and used the YUMI built usb whenever I wanna recover. Have not tried Macrium Reflect though. But in any case whenever I wanna recover or create a backup system image I'd just plug-in the YUMI created usb drive and fire-up Acronis WinPE or Macrium WinPE from there.

Now the use of GiliSoftRAMDisk I have abandoned as of the moment as I can't understand really how to use it. Have read some information and posts from blog that it may help but on more occasions it is unneeded.

So I guess the questions that I posted here for the VHD may be shelved now and I will post another thread about this if and ever I started it.
For the veteran users of Windows 8/8/1 I have more questions to ask but I will start another thread for maybe next week when I am able to install AutoCAD 2013 and a lot of the programs that I use for work.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/install-windows-8-1-in-vhd-in-a-dual-boot-with-windows-7-and-use-ramdisk-question-etc.49030/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have Windows 7 premium in my Laptop, i urgently need Windows XP installed as i have some software that only run in XP, some PLC software only run in XP platform.. no way except installing XP
I'd like to install windows XP in another partition in my hard disk , so i can have 2 dual boot..
Wen i start doing this , the process going and computer boots form the CD and in one stage i get blue screen that does not allow me to complete the installation ..
is there any help would be highly appreciated

A:Windows XP installation as dual boot with Windows 7 Home Premium

The ancient XP CD doesn't have modern SATA drivers so can't see your hard drive. Easiest solution is to virtualize XP in Win7 using freeware like VMWare or Virtual Box.

The only way to insert the SATA driver if you can find it for your SATA controller if you still have a floppy drive SATA Drivers - Load in Windows XP Setup on Dual Boot or you can try slipstreaming in the XP CDr: SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD.

Then shrink the C partition, boot XP CD to create and full format the partition in the shrink space, install there. Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/328881-windows-xp-installation-dual-boot-windows-7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys,

Am new to using computers. Can someone help me step by step process of how to install windows server 2003 r2 and windows 7 home premium 64 bit as a dual boot on my dell xps laptop.

thank you very much in advance..

A:dual boot of windows server 2003 r2 and windows 7 on dell xps

Should be the same as to Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

Install 2003 first. You'll know right away if it can see the HD or if it needs the SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD.

Once it's installed boot WIn7 installer to create the second partition you should leave space for during previous install. It will configure the Dual Boot menu, or else install EasyBCD to 7 to add 2003.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/289291-dual-boot-windows-server-2003-r2-windows-7-dell-xps.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,

I have 2 Windowses on my PC and I would like to play games that I have installed on W7 on W8 but there is a problem. Some games dont worked because of d3dx9 dll's and I solved it with installing DirectX , some games missed VC++/.Net. But now there are some games that still dont work. Like League of Legends didn't worked when i run it from W7 partition but when i copied it to W8 partition it worked. I don't want to do this with every game I have. Is there any solution to make them work?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks in advance.

A:Dual/Multi Boot games form Windows 7 on Windows 8

As a general recommendation you shouldnt try to run most programs that are installed on another Windows OS'es partition. some softwares need certain files, dependencies, Registry entries, etc, and if those are in your other 7 OS, then your 8 install wont be able to find everything, which may bring about errors.

The best thing you can do is either play them on 7 or uninstall them in 7 and then reinstall them in 8.

I also had the same issue when trying to run some other Windows games via WINE in Ubuntu Linux. same basic principle applies.

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/14455-dual-multi-boot-games-form-windows-7-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have disk with 3 partitions, XP (C) is primary, Win 7 (D) is Logical and (E) is Logical and a data drive. I used a dual boot program to choose which OS to use at start up. I did this to preserve XP apps in case they wouldn't work on Win 7. Now I want to delete XP and have Win 7 as the primary partition (C) and data as Drive D. I cannot change the current Win 7 D drive to a primary partition or change the current C to a logical partition.
I tried using EasUS Partition and it won't let me do what I want. I hope someone can understand what I am trying to do and help me out. Thank you

A:Dual Boot Windows XP(Primary) and Windows 7 (Logical Partition)

I would do a complete reinstall. Get your data off ( backed up ) wipe everything, make 2 partitions and install 7. All your partitions should be primary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/261956-dual-boot-windows-xp-primary-windows-7-logical-partition.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a install of Windows windows windows 7 do an boot How 8 I safely dual install? on existing on my computer which I am not willing to remove and reinstall I would How do I dual boot windows 8 safely on an existing windows 7 install? like to try out the Windows developer trials it seems logical given my situation to How do I dual boot windows 8 safely on an existing windows 7 install? dual boot allowing me to keep How do I dual boot windows 8 safely on an existing windows 7 install? my current install and test Windows simultaneously I have a spare gb hard drive I could use or I could create a partition on one of my existing hard drives but a partition is much less ideal I have tried dual booting linux on the hard drive before but the linux drive over rode my dual boot set up I obviously did something wrong and I could only boot to linux How can I safely dual boot Windows on this hard drive or a partition if necessary while keeping my Windows install and data in-tact Just to let you know I have over a TB of data spread over drives but only TB of hard drive space so I can't back up a lot of my data just a heads up Thanks Tom

A:How do I dual boot windows 8 safely on an existing windows 7 install?

Hello Tom.

Please check this tutorial by our resident expert, Brink: Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista - Windows 8 Forums

As you already have Windows 7 installed, you should find it straightforward.

I dual-booted the two on separate partitions on the same hard drive without any problems whatsoever.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/196736-how-do-i-dual-boot-windows-8-safely-existing-windows-7-install.html
Relevancy 62.78%

First I would like to start off saying that I have skimmed Reuel s website and printed the pages for reading I have downloaded Reuel s Boot Disk - {Advice Offered} Windows dual 98 & Windows 2000 boot have a Windows startup disk several actually and have backed up all data to zip disks I am currently running Windows and would like to install Windows for dual boot situation Reuel {Advice Offered} - dual boot Windows 98 & Windows 2000 s instructions seem very complete but I just want to be very careful to do everything correctly I have drives Drive GB Drive GB {Advice Offered} - dual boot Windows 98 & Windows 2000 Neither are partitioned at this moment Would it be wise to partition Drive into two GB partitions one NTFS and one FAT or some other combination I would like to keep Windows on drive though I will be formatting and installing from scratch unless someone advises against it I guess what I m looking for are suggestions I don t want step by step procedures for completing this task - just something to get my mind on its way Any help appreciated Thanks I m sorry I just realized this probably should have been posted under Operating Systems Oops Feel free to move this post if you like This message has been edited by angel edited - - nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I am not sure how to do this I originally had XP and added another drive installing windows professional bit and have a dual boot system I transferred or saved all of the data from the XP drive and want to format it however it will not allow me to format it I boot up on drive C which is w but can select to boot up on drive D which is XP I have attached screen shot of the disk manager but Disk is D is NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition which is the windows XP drive Disk is C is NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary pro) on drive (windows system boot 7 dual to (windows How xp) format Partition which is the w p drive How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) Not sure how to do this without loosing the w p drive I thought about unplugging the w p drive and How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) booting from the w p disk but not sure how that would work when plugging the original w p drive back in Thanks

A:How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro)

I'd guess your problem is that you want to boot from C and format D, but Windows frowns at that when it sees that D contains your system files.

This probably happened because you left the XP drive connected when you installed Windows 7 to the other drive.

I also suspect that if you disconnect the D drive you can't boot at all from C. Is that correct? That would also be because your system files are on D.

If your system files were on C, I think you could then boot from C with D disconnected.

And you should also then be able to boot from C and format D.

You can use an application like BCDedit to copy system files from C to D.

Or you may be able to do it by disconnecting D and running system repair from a Windows install DVD--you may have to run it several times.

Others may have more ideas. That's my best guess just looking at the pic you posted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/396721-how-format-drive-windows-xp-dual-boot-system-windows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,
I have a laptop with dual boot setup for Ubuntu/Windows 7. My company encrypted the Windows partition (McAfee) after which Windows no longer shows up in the boot loader. Can it be fixed?

thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399584-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu-windows-disappears-after-encryption.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I am trying to dual boot windows 8 along side my current version of windows 7. I tried using the disk management utility to shrink my C: Drive partition and then to create a new simple volume for the unallocated space that was freed up. When I tried to install windows 8 on this partition it gave me the message that the partition was dynamic and therefore windows 8 could not be installed on it. How would I create a basic partition to install windows 8 on?

Here is a screenshot of the disk management.
And here is a screenshot of the disk management with the partition I tried to install windows 8 on.

A:Dual Boot Windows 7 and 8, Windows 8 cannot install on dynamic disk

Use Partition Wizard version 4.2.2 boot cd to convert it back to primary.

How did it get converted to dynamic in the 1st place ?

Did you ignore the message telling you it would be converted to dynamic ?

Windows 8 is not worth the effort, Trust me !!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/264195-dual-boot-windows-7-8-windows-8-cannot-install-dynamic-disk.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello again to all. Can anyone please explain because this a little bit confuses me, CREATING a SYSTEM IMAGE, now that I have a DUAL BOOT win7-win8 OS.

>>I want to know if I CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 7 (my default OS), and then later, if ever I RESTORE THIS CREATED SYSTEM IMAGE, will the setup on WINDOWS 8 & WINDOWS 7, still be the same working on DUAL BOOT?

>>OR IS IT THAT I HAVE TO CREATE THE SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 8?

thanks again for any info.

A:Windows 8: Create a System Image on a Dual Boot OS Windows 7

when you create a system image of your computer, yes it will recreate everything it sees on your computer, including multiple OS's and of course the boot loader to let you choose which OS to run.

Please follow the instructions carefully of your imaging software.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12214-windows-8-create-system-image-dual-boot-os-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello
Spent about literally hundred days. Trying to dual boot windows 7 on my UEFI vaio pre installed with windows 8. I tried to follow almost all the forums on the Internet. Created bootable usb which gets stuck at starting windows and used a dvd which the vaio does not recognise. When choosing legacy boot on bios then the problem comes that my hdd is mbr and I am not in a position to format and delete everything due to important files. Pleas help me how do I install windows 7 on this Vaio as there is no guide for this specific platform. Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/392177-windows-7-would-not-dual-boot-vaio-windows-8-preinstalled-uefi.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello Windows 8 members.

I'm Trinty from Windows 7 forums (maybe someone knows me).

I installed Windows 8 on VM but I want to install it on my current machine,
dual-boot with Windows 7.

Windows 7 is already installed and there is one problem. I don't have Install CD and Repair CD.
My questions :

1. When I install Win 8 do I need Install CD or Repair CD for Windows 7 (for ex. to repair Bootmgr) ?
2. Can I install Windows 8 from HDD (without using flash drive or DVD) ?
- If answer is yes : How ?
- If answer is no : Can I use Flash Drive 4GB ?

That is all for now.

Please answer soon.
Thanks in advace.
Baltic Trinty (w7 Trinty)

A:Installing Windows 8 with Windows 7 Dual Boot from Flash Drive

Hello Baltic, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You can install Windows 8 with the ISO, DVD, or USB. The tutorial below can help show you how to install Windows 8 to dual boot with Windows 7 using either installation media.

Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/6339-installing-windows-8-windows-7-dual-boot-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello! I recently acquired an Acer V3-771G and I want to dual-boot Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Windows 8 Pro x64 and I was wondering if it is recommended to change BIOS with the UEFI found on Acer's site. Also, if i should do that, when is it right to switch from BIOS to UEFI? In the beginning, after W7 is installed, after W8 is installed, etc. Note that I have some experience with dual-boots, but none whatsoever with Windows 8.

As for the system specs, I am only able to write them as they are written on the box, as I haven't installed any Windows yet.
CPU: i7-3630QM
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Nvidia GeForce GT650M
8 GB Ram DDR3
HDD: 500GB 5400rpm

A:Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Windows Pro x64 dual-boot BIOS vs UEFI

Does your Acer have a BIOS chip or a uEFI firmware chip?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274114-windows-7-ultimate-x64-windows-pro-x64-dual-boot-bios-vs-uefi.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi all, just picked up a Lenovo y700 laptop. Comes with Windows 10 home. Just checked the partition management and I am seeing 6 different partitions. EFI system partition, Recovery partition, Recovery partition, OEM partition, Primary partition (NTFS), and Boot partition (NTFS).

Normally I setup my my dual partitions C: OS1 D: OS2 E: Programs & Data or F: Data.

First wondering if my above way of partitioning the drive is still smart. The whole EFI system partition is new to me.

Also after searching for a bit I am unable to find a tutorial that addresses the above partitioning systems. Thoughts or helpful links?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/62864-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-10-tutorials-partition-setup-help.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi friends,
I have following h/w config:-

ATA 70 GB Hdd
SATA 320GB HDD

I first installed 2003 server on 70 GB hdd and then vista on one partition of 320 GB hdd. When i restart I do not see the os dual boot menu to select from vista/2003 server. Rather, the pc starts with vista.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

A:Windows vista windows 2003 server dual boot

Try running this in vista and use it to add a boot entry for 2003.
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
Link at the bottom of the page.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-windows-2003-server-dual-boot.791795/
Relevancy 62.78%

Is it possible to set up a dual-boot system with Windows Vista OEM on one hard drive and install Windows 7 Upgrade on another hard drive? Windows 7 would be the primary and Windows Vista would be the secondary.

A:Set Up Dual-Boot System with Windows Vista OEM & Windows 7 Upgrade?

Easiest is to install each with the other HD unplugged, then set preferred as first HD to boot in BIOS setup, trigger other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key. This keeps each independent to come and go as you please.

If you don't like that method then you can install EasyBCD to Win7 to add Vista to a Win7 Dual Boot menu which will leave them independent.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/345082-set-up-dual-boot-system-windows-vista-oem-windows-7-upgrade.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello all, this is my first post on sevenforums. Though I've referred to sevenforums many a times, never registered because I always found similar questions posted by others.

Anyways, I'm preparing to dual boot my Windows 7 machine(already installed) with Windows Server 2008. I've discovered that booting from VHD is a great option and I found all the commands for it online. But before I do it, just want to make I'm doing it the right way.

Two of the commands for creating a VHD is:

Code:
CREATE VDISK FILE=c:\windows7rc.vhd MAXIMUM=200000 TYPE=EXPANDABLE
SELECT VDISK FILE=c:\windows7rc.vhd
I am not sure what does "c:\" in the command indicate.

I've attached a screen shot of my existing partitions. I have a partition of 97.66 GB which is unallocated on which I'd like to install Server 2008.

My question is do I need to change anything in the above command?

Thanks in advance.

A:Clarification regarding dual boot of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008

Hi, if anyone could please help me clarify this doubt, I'd be really grateful. Waiting for a confirmation to proceed with the installation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/275500-clarification-regarding-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-server-2008-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,
I am currently using a dual boot PC with Windows7 ultimate(32bit) running along with Ubuntu 12.04.
I am planning to upgrade my PC to Windows 10 keeping the dual boot.
I also want to clean install windows 10 after the upgrade to switch it to 64Bit as I am planning to increase my RAM to 8GB.
Will I need to reinstall Ubuntu after clean installing windows 10 64bit?(I heard the windows boot-loader ignores Ubuntu after clean install).
And the main problem is if i can do clean install Windows10 without formatting my other drives except "Local disk:C" because I have a lot of files on them.
Can anyone give me a step by step guide for clean installing by formatting my current "C" drive only please...
I want to keep my files on other partitions safe...

A:Update a dual boot Windows 7 32bit to Windows 10 64bit

Be careful - clean installing Windows 10 will probably break the dual boot mechanism as it does not recognise Linux.

General advice is to start with a fresh drive, install Windows 10, then linux.

It can be done the other way, but no expert, especially as you already have Windows 7.

You should make a full image backup of your drives eg using Macrium Reflect Free which will backup Linux partitions as well.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/39103-update-dual-boot-windows-7-32bit-windows-10-64bit.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,
I am currently using a dual boot PC with Windows7 ultimate(32bit) running along with Ubuntu 12.04.
I am planning to upgrade my PC to Windows 10 keeping the dual boot.
I also want to clean install windows 10 after the upgrade to switch it to 64Bit as I am planning to increase my RAM to 8GB.
Will I need to reinstall Ubuntu after clean installing windows 10 64bit?(I heard the windows boot-loader ignores Ubuntu after clean install).
And the main problem is if i can do clean install Windows10 without formatting my other drives except "Local disk:C" because I have a lot of files on them.
Can anyone give me a step by step guide for clean installing by formatting my current "C" drive only please...
I want to keep my files on other partitions safe...

A:Update a dual boot Windows 7 32bit to Windows 10 64bit

Be careful - clean installing Windows 10 will probably break the dual boot mechanism as it does not recognise Linux.

General advice is to start with a fresh drive, install Windows 10, then linux.

It can be done the other way, but no expert, especially as you already have Windows 7.

You should make a full image backup of your drives eg using Macrium Reflect Free which will backup Linux partitions as well.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/39103-update-dual-boot-windows-7-32bit-windows-10-64bit.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a dual boot installation with Windows XP and Windows 7 on the same drive with two partitions. Both work just fine.

However most times that I boot from a cold boot, I get NO Boot options menu, just a blank screen and the hard drive light glows red, but it doesn't really seem to be doing anything.

If I press the reset switch, everything works just fine, the computer reboots, I get a boot options menu for selecting the operating system and either one boots up just fine.

If I shutdown the machine for any period of time, I'll get the blank screen until I do a hard reset.

It seems like the boot loader is not finding the ini file with the options, but only on a cold boot? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A:Windows 7 Dual Boot No Boot Options Menu on Cold Boot

Long shot, but could it possibly be a dead CMOS battery?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-dual-boot-no-boot-options-menu-on-cold-boot.897053/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello TenForums I run Linux Mint on one SSD and Windows on another Linux Mint SSD is on SATA Windows SSD is on SATA GB empty drive on SATA I upgraded Windows to Windows and after getting it all set up and pretty I decided to reboot and use Linux for the rest of the night Well with my Windows Drive Connected I tried booting into Linux but received the error quot Cannot mount drive mnt sdb quot So I booted back into Windows and everything Windows-wise was cool Here comes my screw up Fast forward to today roughly days later I tried fixing my Linux Partition by unplugging the Windows Drive since that would be the sdb drive and received the error quot The Disk Drive for UUID amp lt Drive Name Here gt is not ready yet or not present quot Using a LiveUSB I tried mounting and using chroot to try and fix grub but to no avail I also tried reinstalling Linux Mint while keeping my home partition but with no success either So I decided to install another SSD that I wanted to add for games amp amp misc files since it was bigger I Windows 10. 10 Windows Installed Linux Mint. Now can't or boot So I opened up my computer reorganized a bit and put all of the SSDs in in the config at the start Installed Windows 10. Now I can't boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint. of my post and connected all the power SATA cables I had previously read that Windows gets really pissy if you make any changes to hardware Well here comes the confusing part When only the Linux drive is connected I get the quot Disk Drive UUID quot error When booting into Linux with the Linux Drive amp amp Windows Drive Connected I get the quot Cannot mount Drive mnt sdb quot error When Booting into Windows WITHOUT the Linux Drive Connected I get the BSOD error quot A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed xc quot When booting into Windows WITH the Linux Drive connected Windows works just fine My hypothesis Windows always wants to be first When I upgraded to Windows since my Linux Drive was in the st SATA slot I think it bound the Windows Boot Manager amp amp other Windows start up necessities to it as well By doing this it changed the UUID of my or boot partition so grub doesn't know where to look when booting My concern is that I'm not sure how to separate these and to get them both to work I was saving up for a backup drive so I don't have any backups luckily this is for games I'm only worried about some read-only files on my Linux Drive I do not have any physical media for Windows and would rather create a VM and attempt GPU passthrough than install Windows SP from scratch and do all those damned updates I'd prefer not to have to reinstall any OS but I'll do it if we cannot find a solution to these two problems Please ask my any questions you may have and I'll try to get back to you ASAP I have finals for school tomorrow so this is really just a massive inconvenience Thankfully all my school work is on a laptop or synced to Dropbox Thanks I don't find it necessary but to save anyone the trouble of asking here are my parts CPU Intel i - k GPU Gigagyte WindForce GTX RAM GB G Skill x GB MOBO MSI Z S SLI Krait Edition PSU Seasonic G-Series W SSD x Samsung EVO GB x Samsung EVO GB

A:Installed Windows 10. Now I can't boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint.

With the configuration that you can boot Windows 10 from, we need a full screenshot of disk management with the columns expanded so we can see all the information in them:
Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/51181-installed-windows-10-now-i-cant-boot-windows-10-linux-mint.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Okay so here's the deal I had Windows Service Pack Everything was just lovely then I decided to FINALLY upgrade to Windows 3 Windows Boot Now won't past Service Pack Load Windows load Installed Screen Service Pack because some high end Adobe products I was installing suggested it for Installed Windows Service Pack 3 Now Windows won't load past Windows Boot Load Screen better compatibility Aiesh so I took the plunge and tried to upgrade to Windows Service Pack I was smart because of all the horror stories though and did a full backup up all my data including system state etc I set a system restore point the whole nine yards I upgraded with no problems but when the computer restarted it do so got past POST and the windows boot or load screen popped up with the loading bar but windows never loaded A lot of people report having problems where it get's past the windows load screen and just keeps cycle rebooting Or it'll load to the user selection screen welcome screen This is not me I am simply stuck at the windows load screen Picture below for reference So I booted into safe mode with networking searched for help EVERYWHERE and couldn't find any - By the way I could boot into safe mode safe mode with command prompt and safe mode with networking So I used my system restore point that had made before the SP upgrade and now I am typing to you from the comfort of my Service Pack But this ticks me off because I want SP on my system for the sake of those Adobe programs and just because I can't get the dern thing on there it bugs me Does anyone have a suggestion for me as to WHAT is stopping me from have a healthy running version of Windows Service Pack I ran the Service Pack install upgrade as an Administrator in safe mode with ANY program thing that could possibly affect it not running I thought I had all my bases covered but apparently not Any help suggestions It'd be nice for all the other people out there who are having this same problem to get an answer as well P S I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version Service Pack hopefully SP soon

A:Installed Windows Service Pack 3 Now Windows won't load past Windows Boot Load Screen

Hi sirdanceal0t,
I had a similar problem when Windows XP SP3 was released it was only designed for Intel processors, so if you have a AMD processor it will cause your system not to load, if you are running a AMD processor if i were you try and get back to the System Restore Point or if that fails reimage your pc and just before installing SP3 looks for the patch/fix for your processor model, then install SP3 and it should all be fine.

On the other hand if you have a Intel processor i woulldn't know what to advise.

Swain90

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installed-windows-service-pack-3-now-windows-wont-load-past-windows-boot-load-screen-418781.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi,
A quick query... I have a Windows 7 install to which I added a Windows 8.1 install on a separate partition. This updated the bootloader software to Windows 8.1.
Now when I boot, Windows 8.1 boots and presents a graphical menu to select 8.1 or 7.
If I select 8.1 it goes straight to the logon screen of 8.1 because it has already loaded. If I select Windows 7 however, the machine restarts, then goes into 7 (Obviously because it needs to "unload" the Windows 8.1 environment.
My question is, how (technically) is this trick achieved?
Because of the restart of the computer, I am assuming a "one time" flag is set somewhere in the bootloader environment telling it to load Windows 7?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ce3144cc-bfd9-4858-b2b2-37fbcd52a36b/how-does-a-windows-81-dual-booted-with-windows-7-actually-boot-windows-7?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 62.35%

Someone can help me? have windows 8 RTM installed in my HP Pavilion G4
but after trying it for a month, i get bored with it
and missed my windows 7 interface
so anyone can tell me:
how to dual boot my windows 8 alongside windows 7?
or if it isn't possible can i downgrade my windows 8 to windows 7 without losing any files?
THANK YOU

A:Install windows 7 on my windows 8/ dual boot my windows 8

Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/23388-install-windows-7-my-windows-8-dual-boot-my-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi guys I m 7 Dual Windows boot + XP Windows Solved: formatting starting with a working dual boot Vista x XP x configuration on different partitions but same HD I installed vista for directx features and general coolness but I wanted to keep an XP partition for maximum software compatibility Now noticing how my computer has slowed down a lot I Solved: Windows 7 + Windows XP Dual boot formatting was thinking about formatting and starting out clean for better gaming so I wanted to set it up to be Windows x XP x Now my question is if I use the windows x disc to format and then install on the vista partition will I still be prompted at boot time Solved: Windows 7 + Windows XP Dual boot formatting to choose between the OSs Back in time I installed Vista on the secondary partition by myself finding the drivers and everything but this would be my second time installing an OS so I m afraid something could go wrong I still want to keep XP for a while until I m convinced that windows is compatible with anything I would want to run I read it has got a quot virtual XP quot function that should be able to run anything that would run on XP so I may decide to format that partition later on Hmmmm while you re at it what drivers should I install Video card driver of course but what else I wouldn t want to forget something thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

Hi problem - 8 partition 8 RAW & boot Windows Windows Dual I have a nice work laptop which runs a custom Windows image The machine has an enormous hard drive and it struck me that it would be really good if I could dual boot it with a 'personal' image so that I can Dual boot Windows 8 & Windows 8 - RAW partition problem have my own applications internet etc on it The laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad and it has a UEFI bios and I've not used these before The drive is divided up into various partitions including system recovery and 'OEM' It also has a small SSD GB although I'm not sure what this is for and it is also labelled as Dual boot Windows 8 & Windows 8 - RAW partition problem 'OEM' Dual boot Windows 8 & Windows 8 - RAW partition problem I tried shrinking down the main primary partition to give me a decent amount of space and then installed Windows on to it using a USB stick From the reading I had done it seemed that all I would need to do is install it and it would automatically set up a dual boot Everything seemed to go OK and sure enough I got the dual boot screen come up It would boot my new Windows perfectly but when I tried to boot the work installation it didn't load - it tried to do an 'automatic repair' which failed Looking at the partitions in diskpart showed it as simply a 'RAW' partition This was a bit of a problem as I now couldn't boot my work image at all After some playing around in the BIOS I found that the boot order had 'Windows Boot Manager' first and the hard drive itself listed second If I changed the order so that the hard drive was first I could then boot the work image but when I looked in the disk management screen my new installation showed as a 'RAW' partition So somehow the boot order seems to be causing one or other of the primary partitions to become unreadable which is presumably why it won't boot I don't want to break the work image if I can help it but I'd love the dual boot to work Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and what to do about it James

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/71869-dual-boot-windows-8-windows-8-raw-partition-problem.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello all Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here I've got a dual boot system at the moment - screenshot attached of my Disk Management screen if that helps I would like to remove the Vista OS and reclaim the space now that I've transferred everything over Windows Vista Dual with from Removing Windows Boot 7 to and have a backup I've deleted the Vista Boot entry in msconfig's Boot section and have looked at these posts on this forum but don't seem to be getting anywhere - Dual booting vista and windows want to remove vista all together MBR - Restore Windows Master Boot Record As you can see Removing Windows Vista from Dual Boot with Windows 7 from my screenshot - E is the old bit Vista partition system active primary partition C is the new bit Windows partition I'd like to remove E and expand C but I don't have the option to format E when I right click If anyone has any tips or can point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated Have downloaded EasyBCD although from their website I don't see Windows as being supported Thanks in advance Darren

A:Removing Windows Vista from Dual Boot with Windows 7

Welcome to SevenForums, Darren!

It looks as if you have Windows 7 on a logical drive. While it is possible to boot to Windows on a logical drive, it would require the 100MB system partition Windows 7 creates on installation.

How hard would it be to start over? You do not want Vista anymore, so if you start the installation process, you can delete the Vista and 7 partitions, and create a new, Primary one.

Let us know if you need help, and we will be happy to assist you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/59680-removing-windows-vista-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 61.92%

HI I have a dual boot machine running two copies of windows home premium bit One is used for Audio work and the other is for general use both partitions are on the same disk TB The Audio OS has a C and a D the General OS just has a C I used EasyBCD when I did the initial install to allow Dual machine 7/windows to backup windows want boot a 7 me to choose what to boot to what I would like to want to backup a Dual boot windows 7/windows 7 machine do is make a backup of either one or both partitions in case of hard drive failure The Audio OS is the most important so if I can get a backup for that I will sleep better I have a TB external USB drive waiting to go Is this something that windows backup can do im terrified of running any software that is going to cause any problems with my current setup I should of done this after the install would it be ok to run the windows backup program seperately from each OS want to backup a Dual boot windows 7/windows 7 machine or would it be better to do it another way Jack

A:want to backup a Dual boot windows 7/windows 7 machine

Hello Jack, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you like, you could create a system image backup of both to the 1TB external drive. This is a built-in feature included in Windows. You would then be able to do a system image recovery with it whenever needed to restore everything to how it was when the image was created.

There's no need to create one separately in each OS. You can create a system image from within either Windows for both.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/279214-want-backup-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-7-machine.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello genuis's or genii I have an Acer Aspire on which has a GB HDD On that I have Windows home premium I've just Installed Windows Release Preview on a VHD on the internal HDD and to do that on windows went into Disk Management and created GB VHD which I attached I 0x0000248 7 getting and Windows Windows 7 Dual Boot 8, booted on then made a Windows DVD which I put into the drive Dual booted Windows 7 and 8, getting 0x0000248 on Windows 7 Boot and booted from I got up to the HDD selection and I tapped SHIFT F I then typed DISKPART and then w o quotes quot Select vdisk file c Win vhd quot and quot attach vdisk quot and then ALT TABed back to the HDD selection screen I pressed re-fresh and chose my GB VHD I then installed to that drive After it had installed I successfully got into Windows I found that the windows was missing in the BCD so I installed EasyBCD and added Windows and the location of the installation I then re-booted the laptop to get onto Win but it came up with the error x And the digital driver can't be signed or something like that Does anyone have any suggestions Thank you in advance Edit I have managed to get the Blue windows OS selector when I turn on the computer but windows still fails to load properly

A:Dual booted Windows 7 and 8, getting 0x0000248 on Windows 7 Boot

Posted it twice, awks.......

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8294-dual-booted-windows-7-8-getting-0x0000248-windows-7-boot.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have Windows 7installed on one drive and Windows Vista on another drive. When I boot up the computer it goes directly to Windows 7. It recognizes the second hard drive in Windows Explorer but it doesn't give me a choice as to which operating system to run from. New computing appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7/Windows vista no dual boot up choice

Did you have both drives installed when you installed each OS?
Or did you do each install with the other drive disconnected?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/158935-windows-7-windows-vista-no-dual-boot-up-choice.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have two hard drives. One with windows 7 and second with windows 8. When I add the windows 8 bootloader in windows 7 using EasyBCD, it adds it. When I restart the computer, it doesnt work and I only see an option for windows 7. When I go check EasyBCD again, I see that whatever I had added previously is erased. Attached is the screenshot from Computer management. C drive is Windows 7 and G drive is windows 8.

A:How to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 on two hard drives

Will 8 HD boot itself from BIOS Boot Menu key?

Did you add 8 by its Sys reserve partition drive letter, which should only be assigned for that purpose? If so try again. Then try adding it via 8 drive letter, then by Auto detect.

Try running a few Startup Repairs from 7 disk. If that fails try the Automatic repair from 8 disk. Report back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/327904-how-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-8-two-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I am using Samsung np550 laptop which came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I want to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8. So this is what I did:

In bios - disabled Fast bootThen I disabled 'Secure boot'Selected boot mode as 'CSM'

Now I inserted Windows 7 DVD and it booted with it. The problem is when I'm trying to select a partition, it says that "Windows 7 cannot be installed in this partition. The selected partition is of GPT style".

Please help me solve this problem, so that I can use both W8 and W7.

A:Windows 7 - Windows 8 dual boot problem - 'W8 preinstalled

You need to boot the DVD in UEFI mode. It should be listed in the Boot Device Menu as such along with a non-UEFI version...

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/30967-windows-7-windows-8-dual-boot-problem-w8-preinstalled.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Good afternoon I want to install Windows Pro x on a newly created primary partition for testing purposes in a dual boot windows Pro x however my hard drive is already partitioned into C and D D basically has all my data on it What I noticed was that my D partition is also marked as primary don t know how that happened Booting from the Windows disc I choose to custom install which should issues 7 Dual and 8 partition Windows Pro Windows Pro boot give me the option to install on the newly created partition F Dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro partition issues but this does not show up in the available partitions to install on I thought maybe by converting my Dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro partition issues D partition to a logical drive extended would fix the problem but this just results in the D partition no longer showing up in Windows This is all a little embarrassing as although I haven t set up a dual boot machine for years I should know where I m going wrong think age is catching up with me I d appreciate some assistance with fixing this issue please Oh just as a footnote I decided to take GB or so from D partition to create the new F partition this and formatting etc was done in Aomei Pro as it was the only one of a few softwares I tried that allowed me to not only see unallocated space but also create a primary partition I think there is a primary partition limitation as far as I recall although there are workarounds I don t care to complicate this further as I stated previously I only want to run Win for testing purposes Kindly Tek

A:Dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro partition issues

Why would you leave out the drive map? Please follow the instructions given here for posting screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

You can have 4 Primary partitions but would need to convert one to Logical to add any more.

The Windows 8 partition is way too small so I'd use Partition Wizard CD to borrow some space from C to add it to: How to extend partition easily with partition magic ? Partition Wizard video help.

You're also missing the System Flag which apparently should be on the partition marked Active. Run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times to see if it appears. This proves that the System is bootable and marks the partition booting the OS which will also be dual booting.

If after these changes the Win8 installation media doesn't see the target partition please post back a picture of what it does see. Where did you get Windows 8 media? How is it burned?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/343985-dual-boot-windows-7-pro-windows-8-pro-partition-issues.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Last week i try to instal a dual-boot system windows xp on windows installed i couldn't shrink the disk c from manage it said something about defragmentation i Installing issues windows windows 7 on xp dual-boot have disk drives with no partitions the disk c it has with GB free to create a new partition with GB i know that easeus partition will help me because i did do this once but was dual boot windows on a windows xp installed i made one partition with gb from C with easeus partition then i restart my computer and easeus made his proces after a moment - gt restart and then i should put the Installing dual-boot windows xp on windows 7 issues windows in the dvd-rom but the system was blocked like this http img yfrog com img jpg del tab Installing dual-boot windows xp on windows 7 issues was not working - gt restart again but this time i push del fast to go to bios but i didn't go to bios it made his usualy components verification everything was ok and then was blocked there I made my decision to go to a friend to format my hard drive instal athe windows on the disk and everything was ok on his pc so to explain i record my problem now my english sucks On my pc it remains the same probl but i could reinstal my windows windows xp and i have this problem on my startup MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service the first half is a delay the last half is when i restart to go to bios

A:Installing dual-boot windows xp on windows 7 issues

Welcome!

I don't really understand your problem, but try pressing F11 during the POST. The manually select your drive from the resulting window.

Hope this helps,
~JK

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/54999-installing-dual-boot-windows-xp-windows-7-issues.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a new laptop (Compaq Pressario CQ61) that has Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) installed. This computer has an AMD processor. I am trying to set it up to dual boot Windows XP Home Edition.

I didn't have any issues partitioning the hard drive. I used nLite to slipstream my Windows XP installation disk. I added SP2 and the SATA drivers. I then burned this onto a DVD disk. Next I booted from CD using the disk I created. The installation runs through loading the files, but when it gets to "Setup is starting windows" I get the blue screen of death. The stop code is 0x00000007B.

I used the guide at the following address to download the SATA driver and complete the slipstreaming process.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operat...for-XP-solution-on-0x0000007B-BSOD/m-p/114120

Any guidance you can provide on how to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-when-trying-to-install-windows-xp-for-dual-boot-with-windows-7.149859/
Relevancy 61.92%

Ok wanted to dual boot and Win enterprise Read all I could stand but even the most straight forward tutorials seemed to 10 twist 7 enterprise Windows boot a with and dual Windows miss some steps For instance they said make two partitions leave windows on first and install on the second Windows 7 and Windows 10 enterprise dual boot with a twist partition using customize But every time I tried either usb stick or dvd no customize would show Finally downloaded MS trial verision It too only wanted to do a straight install wiping out win Finally I realized that was backed up and allowed it to proceed Everything seemed to go fine I replaced generic key with a my retail key and it activated and updated itself I have now backed up both partitions that created What I have in mind now is to restore to the first partion and then create more partions for Win and restore it All this will reide on an mb ssd Questions I have are Can I assign the partions as A B amp C want to keep my current harddrive order Do both partions that hold the OS s need to be active Will I have to edit bcd and how Any help and insight would be appreciated Thank You nbsp

A:Windows 7 and Windows 10 enterprise dual boot with a twist

I am not sure if you can assign a partition as either A or B since those are usually reserved for Floppy disks. I don't know if that has changed since I never assign anything to A or B. You can assign all the HDs to whatever you want in the OS except partition you booted windows with, that will usually stay as C and you shouldn't change it though I think you can (well at least I did it with older windows like NT 4 and 95). You might run into issues with other programs later when they make assumptions that the system drive is C:. It happened to me a couple of times during the old NT4 and Win95 OS days.

The partitions don't have to be marked active. Well at least on my system my Win 7 Partition is Active, but the Win 10 one I installed yesterday is not.

My BCD is actually Windows 7 not Win 10's. So I adjust it in Win 7 to select the default OS and the time out value. To do it you need to go to Control Panel -> System -> advance system settings, in the section Startup and Recovery, you click on the settings button. There you can set the time out value and choose which OS it will default to. IIRC it's there also in Win 10 if that is the default menu you see when you boot up.

https://hardforum.com/threads/windows-7-and-windows-10-enterprise-dual-boot-with-a-twist.1905319/
Relevancy 61.92%

I followed the advice from this link:

How To: Install Windows 7 Beta from a USB Key! | Maximum PC

Essentially booting from a USB drive, I used my iPod to carry the Win7 files and about 25% into the loading process where it's loading the files initially during the boot it says there is an I/O error with the iPod.

I know that there isn't anything wrong with the system because I have re-tested copying files back and forth from the iPod back on Vista and there seems to be no problem, I tested it with an XP system as well.

Any suggestions? My DVD burner is stuffed so it's unlikely to work that way and the files are too big for any USB drive I have currently.

A:Dual boot Windows 7 (7057) and Windows Vista

Nvm, I got my DVD burner to work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/5704-dual-boot-windows-7-7057-windows-vista.html